PDA

View Full Version : Why do Tamil male stars have so many titles ?

StevenOveni
1st December 2011, 04:52 AM
Universa Hero, Ultimate star, Thalapathi, Ilaya Thalapathi, Super Star, Little Super star, these are some of the many titles floating around the Tamil film industry. Almost all of them are for the male stars and mostly for the heroes although some are attributed to the support cast as well such as Chinna Kalaivanar and Vaigai Puyal.

This culture seems to be unique to the Tamil film industry since even major Stars from other Indian film industries such as Amitabh Bachan, Sha Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan do not have any titles.

Many of the Tamil heroes also have honorary doctorates and other accolades that they regularly parade around. Constantly the viewer is reminded of these titles and other virtues of the hero during the movie, for example have a look at the lyrics of this song from Dasavatharam tabled at the end of this post.

Why is this the case ? Do we need all these titles floating around ? It is heartening to see that some of the newer stars have moved away from this culture. Also do we need to be told about the virtues of the hero as opposed to letting the viewer decide whether the hero did a good job or not which should really be about how well the hero played his part and contributed to the movie as opposed to telling us how good they are ?

Is this culture helping or holding back the Tamil film Industry ? Interested in your thoughts.

--------------------

Come Dance With Me Before You Go

Ulagam Enghilum Unnai Minjida Yaaru
Unnai Pettradu Perumey Konludhu Naadu

Ulaga Nayagane Ulaga Nayagane
Kannangal Kandu Viyakum
Enni Ainavum Unnai Alaikum
Kannangal Kandu Viyakum
Enni Ainavum Unnai Alaikum

Nee Perum Kalaignan Niranthada Illagnan
Rasana Migundham Ragasiya Kavignan
Nee Perum Kalaignan Nirantha Illagnan
Rasana Migundham Ragasiya Kavignan

Oru Ooyir Køndru Oølaghatil Indru
Ayiram Piravi Køndai Un Vaazhvil
Aayiram Pirigal Kandai
Šøthanai Unnai Šøøldugindralum
Šøthanai Muyarchi Šølvuvathilai
Ayunthu Mudhal Nee Azhivanthalum
Oxygen Kurayavil Šønnal Yen Oscarum Dhøøramilai

Ulagam Ènghilum Unnai Minjida Yaaru
Unnai Pettradu Perumey Kønludhu Naadu
Kannangal Kandu Viyakum
Ènni Ainavum We’ll Call Yøu Back

Cøme Dance With Me
Cøme Dance With Me Beføre Yøu Gø

Udhal Kønda Manithan Olavatharam
Uzhattin Kalakil Nøøru Avatharam
Muhangalai Oørithu Manangalai Padithu
Peru Kønde Arivu Køndan Vinyani Freud’eyum Pøørinthu Køndan
Vizhigalukule Virichangal Thøøngum
Un Nølvalukule Ulagangal Thøøngum
Nerupinil Kidanthu Nedandavar Širanthu
Theeyanum Nizhai Kadanthai Èppøthu Niravanam Aghi Vittai

Ulagam Ènghilum Unnai Minjida Yaaru
Unnai Pettradu Perumey Kønludhu Naadu
Kannangal Kandu Viyakum
Ènni Ainavum Unnai Alaikum

Cøme Dance With Me Beføre Yøu Gø

abhi_d
1st December 2011, 09:30 AM
This thread would only lead to fight. Slowly discussion will move away from the thread title and the discussion would be actors with titles vs actors without the titles.

Bala (Karthik)
1st December 2011, 09:50 AM
"Sonnaal kel Aascar dhooram illai"

Chinni Jayanth (crying) to Silver spoon Silpa Kumar : "Neenga Aascar vaangiye aaganum"

StevenOveni
1st December 2011, 11:51 AM
It is worthwhile to have a discussion amongst fans since at the end of the day it is the fans who make a film successful or otherwise. I for one look for the performance of the star in how well he plays the role. Find it quite jarring and obnoxious when I see Tamil male stars having to promote themselves in all these "not so subtle ways" instead of playing the offered role to the best of his ability. Also it is something that is very hard to explain to movie fans of other languages.

I for one strongly feel that this culture is not helping Tamil cinema move forward. Effectively movies are made to project the "glory" of the chosen hero as opposed to getting the best out of him to support a chosen story.

While the technical aspects of Tamil movies have improved considerably this culture which to me driven primarily by the insecurities of some of our male stars is holding the industry back.

The narration of a story in the best possible way should be the prime focus of the Director. To be side tracked in keeping the ego of the male star and having to mend / fend the movie accordingly only takes away from the success of the movie.

Are there other fans out there who find this culture quite abhorrent ?

groucho070
1st December 2011, 01:51 PM
Though once I was totally against, I am okay with it now (just like I don't give a damn about uncredited "remakes" now as long as they are well done, or even better than original (re: Kamal). Actually they are varied, not necessarily glorifying. Some are the truth (Nadigar Thilagam), some justified status (Superstar, a title that was given, like, in 1978), some actually self-eye-poke (little superstar, now upgraded), some baffling like use of lesser rank, a young one too, rather than going for General or Admiral.