PDA

View Full Version : || 127 Hours | Danny Boyle | James Franco | ARR ||

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Yathu
9th January 2011, 06:30 PM
Ajay, you need to watch it on the big screen too when it comes out there!

ajaybaskar
9th January 2011, 06:36 PM
Sure.. 20 more days to go...

sathya_1979
9th January 2011, 06:37 PM
Downloaded :redjump: :bluejump:
Watched just the amputation scene with much fear, not too bad!
Strict no no for ladies.
Will watch tonight and again in theatre when it releases on 28th. LM, Ajay let's plan.

littlemaster1982
10th January 2011, 09:32 AM
Escape Cinemas, Friday night. Is that OK?

Ramakrishna
10th January 2011, 09:50 AM
Count me in

sathya_1979
10th January 2011, 10:11 AM
done deal!

sathya_1979
10th January 2011, 10:37 AM
Terrific :yes: Franco :notworthy:
Proud to be a kadavuL bakhthan! Excellent Camera work (took me to Canyon while watching. That too just in a laptop). Sound design was perfect, lots of things to write - scene-by-scene analysis. Will wait till month-end as many here have not watched it yet. Don't miss guys!

lancelot
10th January 2011, 10:42 AM
done deal!

where is this? not in Mumbai by any chance is it?

ajaybaskar
10th January 2011, 10:44 AM
Excellent!! Thalaivar has done a wonderful job. So is the cinematographer. Padathoda per varumbodhu pullarippu!! I am not revealing it here.. Good thinking..

ajaybaskar
10th January 2011, 10:47 AM
Lancy,

Its a new multiplex in Chennai

directhit
10th January 2011, 10:47 AM
Liberation in a Dream :bow: padathoda paakum podhu kicka$$ :smokesmirk:

ajaybaskar
10th January 2011, 11:30 AM
IMDB Top 250

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/

127 Hours at #221

ajaybaskar
10th January 2011, 11:35 AM
BAFTA Longlist

127 Hours features in most of the categories.. :-)

http://static.bafta.org/files/longlist-1011-774.pdf

lancelot
10th January 2011, 11:35 AM
would love to join if anyone is going for it in Mumbai.

Sunil_M88
14th January 2011, 06:18 PM
Saw 127 Hours last night. What a great film! Emotional, funny, beautiful. ARRs score and where it was used was just perfect, didn't protrude into the film anywhere. It just seamlessly merged with it.

Especially liked the use of "The Canyon" piece when Aron Ralston thinks about his past and the people that have meant the most to him.

There was heavy use of Sigur Ros's "Festival" in the closing scenes. I went and listened to the whole track properly (bit of a biggie at over 9 mins!) after the film. A truly beautiful track, especially when it takes off around 04:38, which is also the part used in the film. Saying that, I couldn't help but wonder what ARR could've done with those scenes if given the opportunity!

Also, I don't think the exhilarating outro of "R.I.P" was used in the movie. Maybe I was too engrossed with what was going on, on screen, to notice? Probably the former though as I was specifically looking out for the end of "R.I.P"!

Ofcourse the "Liberation" tracks were all used superbly at crucial points in Aron's predicament.

A vocals only version of "If I Rise" was also used to great effect when Aron finds the strength/ motivation to do what he needed to do.

A variation of the intro of Usure Poguthe from Raavanan is used early on the movie. A bit of a pleasant surprise! Not sure why this didn't feature in the soundtrack! There were also some other small pieces that I hadn't heard on the album.

Overall, definitely a revitalising and life affirming moive. Everyone needs to see this. (You can look away for the amputation scene if you want though! :D )

Might catch the movie on the weekend or definitely during one of the days next week.

@Yathu. How was acid darbari used in the movie?

After spending inseparable time with the album, Touch Of The Sun emerges as the sole winner. I wonder if my choice changes after watching the movie.

Sunil_M88
14th January 2011, 06:21 PM
Here is Karthik's review of the movie. I will read it properly after I've watched the film for myself hehe.

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2011/01/11/127-hours-movie-review-director-danny-boyle/#disqus_thread

ajaybaskar
14th January 2011, 07:59 PM
Today's newspapers had an ad stating the film's Jan 26th release.

sathya_1979
14th January 2011, 08:16 PM
which paper AB?

ajaybaskar
14th January 2011, 08:17 PM
The Hindu

Yathu
15th January 2011, 02:53 AM
Might catch the movie on the weekend or definitely during one of the days next week.

@Yathu. How was acid darbari used in the movie?

After spending inseparable time with the album, Touch Of The Sun emerges as the sole winner. I wonder if my choice changes after watching the movie.

Acid Darbari was used when he's gets kinda delirious I think and starts seeing things.

Touch of the Sun is exactly that and it's a beautiful moment in the movie. :)

Yathu
15th January 2011, 02:56 AM
-wrong thread-

ajaybaskar
15th January 2011, 08:56 AM
Yathu,

Thread maathi post panniteengala? :roll:

directhit
15th January 2011, 10:22 AM
Thalaivar has won 'Best Original Song' for "If I Rise" from 127 Hours at the Critics Choice Movie Awards.

sathya_1979
15th January 2011, 10:45 AM
Thalaivar has won 'Best Original Song' for "If I Rise" from 127 Hours at the Critics Choice Movie Awards.
Thanks for the great news DH :D
:clap: :notworthy:

jinju
15th January 2011, 11:08 AM
vettai aarambam aayiduchu doi :Clap:

Yathu
15th January 2011, 04:27 PM
Yathu,

Thread maathi post panniteengala? :roll:

No I was talking about ARRs use of that E20U18 song in a flashback scene in 127 hours.

:oops: :yessir:

Yathu
15th January 2011, 04:29 PM

YES!!! :victory: :victory: :victory:

It beat some hefty contenders:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/critics_choice/_2011/categories/best-song/

:D

Roshan
15th January 2011, 04:48 PM
:victory: :victory: :victory:

dinesh2002
15th January 2011, 07:19 PM
Was just listening to 127 Hours soundtrack, its truly a masterpiece.... we can clearly see its a soundtrack that NO COMPOSER from Hollywood could compose such.... Im not being bias here... all the tracks has some indianess in them.... when the westerners hear them, it will surely surprise them as it is new for them... Chance'se illai....Itheke aparam A.R.Rahman Hollywood le king than...

Benny Lava
15th January 2011, 08:07 PM

The drum roll begins... more to come :victory:

ajaybaskar
15th January 2011, 09:53 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sunil_M88
16th January 2011, 12:31 AM
:D :) 8-) :wink: :clap: :notworthy: :rotfl: :thumbsup: :lol2: :bluejump: :redjump: :swinghead: :ty: :yes: :2thumbsup: :cool2: :exactly: :cheer: :happydance: :rotfl3: :pink:

Definitely the highlight of my day.

K
16th January 2011, 07:51 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

ArulprakasH
16th January 2011, 08:03 PM
:notworthy: :clap: :notworthy: :clap:

Mahen
16th January 2011, 08:18 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

m_karthik
17th January 2011, 07:10 AM
Golden Globe Awards underwayy... anyone following..
Thalaivar nominated for

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Alexander Desplot - "The King's Speech"
Danny Eflman - "Alice in Wonderland"
A.R. Rahman - "127 Hours"
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - "The Social Network"
Hans Zimmer - "Inception"

m_karthik
17th January 2011, 07:22 AM
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - "The Social Network" wins the Golden Globe... :oops:

jinju
17th January 2011, 08:44 AM
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - "The Social Network" wins the Golden Globe... :oops:

:Sad:

but if not for ARR in the fray, my personal choice was always TSN, what ye pulsating score...worthy opponent for sure. better luck in Oscars thalaiva!

AudazJay
17th January 2011, 11:26 AM

:notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Too bad about Globes :( but at least critics' choice recognized his talents. Hope Oscars comes to his way too :D

ajaybaskar
17th January 2011, 01:00 PM
Oscarla paathukkalaam..

Siv.S
17th January 2011, 01:28 PM
Critic choice award

:victory: :victory:

SoftSword
17th January 2011, 04:30 PM
golden globes is a hint that the oscars would also go for social network :(

anyway who cares abt wat we lose....
lets jus see wat we win...

congrats for the Critics Choice Award :thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
17th January 2011, 05:08 PM
We have the best song category in Oscars, right? So we still stand a chance..

Mahen
17th January 2011, 07:23 PM
//Btw, wheres ARR's talapathy? :roll: missing from hub..//

littlemaster1982
17th January 2011, 09:37 PM
Yaarai solreenga :roll:

SoftSword
17th January 2011, 09:57 PM
Anban? ;)

Ramakrishna
17th January 2011, 10:43 PM
Its Maddy obviously.

Sunil_M88
18th January 2011, 01:38 AM
We have the best song category in Oscars, right? So we still stand a chance..

That's the spirit :thumbsup:

Yathu
18th January 2011, 04:22 AM
Yup! I'm gonna remain hopeful too even though the chances seem slim. :D

Mahen
18th January 2011, 05:47 AM
Maddy thaan :x

ajaybaskar
18th January 2011, 10:32 AM
Avarum ARR maadhiri oru break aduththuruppar..

AudazJay
18th January 2011, 02:38 PM
ARR is nominated for BAFTA for Original Music :swinghead:

127 HOURS - AR Rahman
ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Danny Elfman
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell
INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer
THE KING'S SPEECH - Alexandre Desplat

ajaybaskar
18th January 2011, 02:54 PM
:clap:

BTW, What happened to TSN?

dinesh2002
18th January 2011, 03:03 PM
ARR is nominated for BAFTA for Original Music :swinghead:

127 HOURS - AR Rahman
ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Danny Elfman
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell
INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer
THE KING'S SPEECH - Alexandre Desplat

Avar WIN pannurare. Period.

Ramakrishna
18th January 2011, 05:26 PM
Oscar eppopaa?

Yathu
18th January 2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah, doesn't look like The Social Network is nominated:

http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/2011-film-awards,1572,BA.html#jump13

More chances of ARR winning!

// welcome back Dinesh! Congrats on the Madhushree album! When did you become a lyricist?! :D

littlemaster1982
18th January 2011, 08:42 PM
^^^ HTTYD and Inception had great soundtracks as well. If ARR wins this, the win would be sweeter :)

Nerd
18th January 2011, 08:45 PM
Was Rahman present in the Globes on Sunday? Any stills? :-)

ajaybaskar
19th January 2011, 10:23 AM
Yes.. He was present

Siv.S
19th January 2011, 01:38 PM
Have seen the coming soon poster in PVR... :D Jan-26th is confirmed right?

Siv.S
19th January 2011, 01:48 PM
Oscar eppopaa?
Feb 27th.

ajaybaskar
19th January 2011, 02:03 PM

100% Confirmed. Even today i saw the ad in the daily. (It even mentioned that plans are open from today)

In Chennai, Sathyam, Escape, Inox and PVR will screen the movie.

AudazJay
19th January 2011, 02:05 PM
^^^ HTTYD and Inception had great soundtracks as well. If ARR wins this, the win would be sweeter :)

:exactly: Inception particularly was given positive reviews from day 1. AR winning over these albums would definitely speak volumes about his work. Praying really hard that he'll get this one :D

littlemaster1982
19th January 2011, 02:44 PM

100% Confirmed. Even today i saw the ad in the daily. (It even mentioned that plans are open from today)

In Chennai, Sathyam, Escape, Inox and PVR will screen the movie.

26th or 28th :huh:

ajaybaskar
19th January 2011, 02:54 PM
26th Jan. Wednesday.

littlemaster1982
19th January 2011, 03:35 PM
26th Jan. Wednesday.

Very good. FDFS?

Siv.S
19th January 2011, 05:15 PM
Have seen the trailer in NDTV :D :thumbsup:

Sunil_M88
20th January 2011, 05:45 AM
Just came back from the movie. I will wait for the Chennai crew of the hub to watch. Then we can discuss our thoughts :)

sathya_1979
20th January 2011, 09:48 AM
AB, master, dnt forget me while planning for this

Ramakrishna
20th January 2011, 11:33 AM
me too

SoftSword
20th January 2011, 04:37 PM
me too

directhit
20th January 2011, 05:11 PM
innumaaa neengellaam paakalaa :poke: Shame Shame Puppy Shame

Sunil_M88
20th January 2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.desihits.com/news/view/a-r-rahman-shares-if-i-rise-featuring-dido-20110119

Was really looking forward to the music video :(

SoftSword
20th January 2011, 05:32 PM
innumaaa neengellaam paakalaa :poke: Shame Shame Puppy Shame

nan pathuten...
and this week about to watch it in theatre...

littlemaster1982
20th January 2011, 08:12 PM
me too

Err, I thought you had left for UK :?

SoftSword
20th January 2011, 08:16 PM
me too

Err, I thought you had left for UK :?

yes..
but i said 'me too' for

AB, master, dnt forget me while planning for this

ennayellaam marandhudadheenga....

Yathu
21st January 2011, 12:54 AM
http://www.desihits.com/news/view/a-r-rahman-shares-if-i-rise-featuring-dido-20110119

I think this is just something Universal Music India put together to promote the soundtrack.

It'd be interesting to see if there will be a music video featuring ARR & Dido though. Maybe if it gets nominated and wins an Oscar, maybe they'll make one?

Sunil_M88
21st January 2011, 02:15 AM

I think this is just something Universal Music India put together to promote the soundtrack.

It'd be interesting to see if there will be a music video featuring ARR & Dido though. Maybe if it gets nominated and wins an Oscar, maybe they'll make one?

I really thought the teaser for Changing seasons was for If I Rise as some web sources had stated this. :-S

I don't know why they dropped the idea. They should release a video regardless of Oscar nomination. It would be a dream come true to see thalaivar and dido the angel on screen.

Yathu
21st January 2011, 03:03 AM
I really thought the teaser for Changing seasons was for If I Rise as some web sources had stated this. :-S

I don't know why they dropped the idea. They should release a video regardless of Oscar nomination. It would be a dream come true to see thalaivar and dido the angel on screen.

Dido's No Angel (http://www.didomusic.com/gb/music/releases/albums/no_angel/) bro. ;)

Sunil_M88
21st January 2011, 03:10 AM

Dido's No Angel (http://www.didomusic.com/gb/music/releases/albums/no_angel/) bro. ;)

Good one :thumbsup:

She is for me though, ever since she thanked me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88OLgIJKbZs&ob=av2el).

Yathu
21st January 2011, 03:41 AM
Good one :thumbsup:

She is for me though, ever since she thanked me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88OLgIJKbZs&ob=av2el).

:lol: :thumbsup:

Sunil_M88
21st January 2011, 04:43 PM
Rahman's score drives the movie," and is "triumphant, enthralling...[and] thrillingly alive.

Newly out is the music video for a collaboration between Rahman and Grammy award-winning singer/songwriter Dido which, in fact, makes a great trailer for the James Franco starring film -- the true story of Aron Ralston, a mountain climber trapped in the Utah wilderness.

source: CNN international

where,what,who,why,when and how :shock: :cheer: :happydance:

SoftSword
21st January 2011, 04:56 PM
hopefully they ll release in his fb page.

ajaybaskar
22nd January 2011, 11:20 AM
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Danny-Boyle-Anurag-Kashyap-film-on-course/Article1-652547.aspx

ajaybaskar
22nd January 2011, 11:20 AM
http://synthesis.net/2011/01/20/a-r-rahman-best-in-the-biz/

ajaybaskar
22nd January 2011, 11:23 AM
http://collider.com/127-hours-theater-expansion/71777/

Sunil_M88
22nd January 2011, 09:05 PM
You get success, then a movie gets ripped off: A.R. Rahman (Interview)

New Delhi, Jan 22 (IANS) Indian maestro A.R. Rahman says that after the mega sweep of 'Slumdog Millionaire' at various awards, a solo win so far for the music of Danny Boyle's '127 Hours' has caused 'great suffering' to the entire team.

'It's so strange that when you get great success, the second movie gets really ripped off. It's been a great suffering for the whole team,' Rahman told IANS in a telephonic interview from Los Angeles.

This week he lost out at the 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards for '127 Hours' to 'The Social Network'. However, the Mozart of Madras, as he is fondly called, is happy with the people's response and nominations.

'But getting a nomination in itself is a great thing among all the extraordinary talent. It's got great reviews and people are loving the movie. I think it's been a good ride so far,' said the ace composer, who also has to his credit the background score of Vince Vaughn-starrer 'Couples Retreat'.

The shy musician has been nominated for the forthcoming British Academy of Films and Television Arts (BAFTA) award for original music in the biopic. This is the Chennai-based composer's second stint at Hollywood's prestigious annual movie prizes after 'Slumdog'.

'I don't think I'll get any award, but I'm grateful for the nominations. A lot of other movies are there and other very good talent, but I hope Danny Boyle gets the best director (award) and the film gets best film (trophy),' he said.

In 2009, the 45-year-old exploded on to the world stage with two gongs at the Oscars for the Danny Boyle-directed Mumbai-based underdog drama but is not sure he will repeat history with the British filmmaker's new film '127 Hours'.

'I'll be happy if I get nominations but I've got enough Oscars already for one lifetime. I don't think I'll get an Oscar. I'll enjoy the function and see it, but I don't think I'll be getting it,' he said, as the nominations for the 83rd Annual Academy Awards will be announced Jan 25.

But will he attend the ceremony?

'If I get a nomination, I'll definitely attend,' said Rahman, sounding exhausted considering it was already past-midnight in LA.

Apart from its score, the soundtrack of '127 Hours' is also being praised for the popular song, 'If I Rise', a collaboration between Rahman and pop star Dido, and won the Indian composer the best original song at the 16th Critics' Choice Movie awards. So far this is the only win for the music of the movie.

Speaking of the score in '127 Hours', he said: 'The music itself is like driving emotions not in a way that is over the top where you feel irritated or you feel drowned but meditative and pushing it forward. It is a balance between trippy and meditative and pushing it forward - all three together.'

Getting another opportunity to work with Boyle came as a surprise for the Padma Bhushan awardee.

'I was very excited that Danny came (to me) for this movie. I expected him to take a pure American composer for this one,' said the composer, who was described by Time magazine as India's most prominent movie song writer in 2005.

Starring 'Spider-Man' star James Franco, '127 Hours' is a biopic about mountaineer Aron Ralston, who was trapped in a canyon for five days by a boulder that fell on his arm and freed himself by amputating the limb.

'The movie is about courage. Most of the people think it is about arm cutting, but it is about courage that anyone could face in the world. It requires sometimes to get out from a real big problem and sacrifice something and you have to look at the bigger picture,' said Rahman.

'Metaphorically in this movie it's about the arm. He had to take a decision whether it's his life or his arm. It is a very inspiring movie to watch,' he added.

Rahman's future projects include Bollywood movie 'Rockstar' and international animated project 'Monkeys of Bollywood' with Gurinder Chadha.

Source: Robin Bansal (IANS)

ajaybaskar
23rd January 2011, 11:09 AM
127 Hrs contest

http://www.sathyamcinemas.com/127/index.html

littlemaster1982
24th January 2011, 07:34 AM
Someone pls post here when the booking starts for Jan 26.

ajaybaskar
24th January 2011, 11:16 AM
Book started for AGS

http://in.bookmyshow.com/buytickets/?srid=CHEN&eid=ET00006094&cid=&did=20110126&ety=MT

ajaybaskar
24th January 2011, 11:33 AM
Rajeev Masand on twitter..

Saw 127 Hours on the big screen. Visceral! Had tears by the end. Much more to it than just the amputation scene. Remarkable survival story.

127 Hours: If James Franco doesn't get an Oscar nom, there is no God.

127 Hours: Really asks you to introspect. And what a fine screenplay. Holds your attention completely

ajaybaskar
24th January 2011, 11:35 AM
Was Rahman present in the Globes on Sunday? Any stills? :-)

http://www.twitpic.com/3smubf

ajaybaskar
24th January 2011, 11:36 AM
OFFICIAL VIDEO OF "IF I RISE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4cvhOWUJsA

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 10:43 AM
Booking opened at Sathyam.

littlemaster1982
25th January 2011, 10:59 AM
For tomorrow :huh:

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 11:05 AM
Yes

littlemaster1982
25th January 2011, 11:08 AM
I called Sathyam yesterday and the guy who attended the phone told me the film is releasing on Friday :curse:

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 11:18 AM
Check the online booking.. It has opened for tomorrows shows..

www.thecinema.in

littlemaster1982
25th January 2011, 11:19 AM
Checked and 10:15 AM show is full. Anyway, booked tickets in AGS.

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 11:20 AM
FDFS thavira yedhum pakkuradhilla?

littlemaster1982
25th January 2011, 11:39 AM
Appadi illa, didn't want to wait till Friday.

SoftSword
25th January 2011, 04:08 PM
am watching it this eve :)

lancelot
25th January 2011, 04:21 PM
there is no one in the Hub from Mumbai? I plan on going to watch it this weekend if anyone wants to join.

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 05:21 PM
When will we know the nominations? Pls gimme the IST of the event.

Sunil_M88
25th January 2011, 05:33 PM
When will we know the nominations? Pls gimme the IST of the event.

7:00PM IST, you can stream here -> http://oscar.go.com/nominations

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 05:37 PM
Thanx, Sunil.. :-)

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 07:15 PM
127 hours nominated for Best film, best adapted screenplay so far.. Danny Boyle misses 'Best director' nomination. James Franco gets nominated.

Nerd
25th January 2011, 07:17 PM
Two noms?

:clap:

Nerd
25th January 2011, 07:18 PM
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
How to Train Your Dragon (Paramount) John Powell
Inception (Warner Bros.) Hans Zimmer
The King's Speech (The Weinstein Company) Alexandre Desplat
127 Hours (Fox Searchlight) A.R. Rahman
The Social Network (Sony Pictures Releasing) Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
Coming Home from Country Strong (Sony Pictures Releasing (Screen Gems)) Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
I See the Light from Tangled (Walt Disney) Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater
If I Rise from 127 Hours (Fox Searchlight) Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong
We Belong Together from Toy Story 3 (Walt Disney) Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 07:23 PM
Thanx Nerd for the share.. :D

Sunil_M88
25th January 2011, 07:26 PM
Three cheers Nerd/Ajay, Hip Hip Hooray :cheer:

Roshan
25th January 2011, 08:07 PM
:2thumbsup: :redjump: :bluejump: :happydance: :cheer:

littlemaster1982
25th January 2011, 08:20 PM
Tough competition. Hope he gets one 8-)

Mahen
25th January 2011, 08:36 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Mahen
25th January 2011, 08:38 PM
Oscars eppo? must apply for leave :)

sathya_1979
25th January 2011, 08:38 PM
:cry: :omg:

dinesh2002
25th January 2011, 09:13 PM
He is winning for one, if not both... But i pray he win for both.... Amazing scores! May Lord Rudra blesses A.R.Rahman!!

Ramakrishna
25th January 2011, 09:28 PM
Hmmm

sathya_1979
25th January 2011, 09:30 PM
Hmmm
:roll:

SoftSword
25th January 2011, 09:33 PM
vaettai aarambam :)

Yathu
25th January 2011, 10:04 PM
The double nomination. 8-)

:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

lancelot
25th January 2011, 10:10 PM
DOUBLE NOMINATIONS AGAIN! AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sunil_M88
25th January 2011, 11:06 PM
Can't stop listening to If I Rise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE3KA7DdhQQ) ever since the Oscar nominations were revealed today. :2thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
25th January 2011, 11:14 PM
Me too

ajaybaskar
26th January 2011, 10:49 AM
AR Rahman nominated for Oscars for 127 Hours

Mozart of Madras AR Rahman has bagged two nominations for Oscars once again. This time it is again Danny Boyle's film that has brought to him the nominations for the 83rd Academy Awards. Earlier he had bagged three nominations and won two Oscars in the 81st Academy Awards for Danny Boyle's film Slumdog Millionaire.

The Music Maestro Rahman has been nominated in the Best Original Song for the song ' If I Rise' and the Best Original Score from the film 127 Hours.

We congratulate AR Rahman on his success and hope that he will win the show too.

ajaybaskar
26th January 2011, 10:54 AM
[tscii:01a5806b65]Trent Reznor, Hans Zimmer and More Comment On Oscar Nominations

Check out what the nominees have to say…

The nominees for the music categories at the Academy Awards have spoken to Billboard and given their reactions. Check them out below:

A.R. Rahman (Best Original Score and Best Original Song, 127 Hours): "I thought I would get maybe one [nomination] for either the score or the song, but to get two was definitely a surprise. I was entering a hotel in Zurich and I checked my email, and there was the news.

"Last time I worked with M.I.A. [on the 'Slumdog Millionaire' soundtrack], and she's more of a rapper and has very good ideas. Dido [who collaborated with Rahman on 'If I Rise'] is very melodic and has an extraordinarily healing voice. So it's two different personalities, but both of them work for me.

"It felt good for me to work on '127 Hours,' but at the same time I had to be careful because it wasn't an Indian score [like 'Slumdog Millionaire']. But Danny didn't have any doubts about it, so I didn't have any doubts, either. "

[b]Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (Best Original Score: The Social Network): "When David [Fincher, the director] approached us to write the score for 'The Social Network' we were intrigued and excited to see what we could bring to the project -- but truly couldn't imagine it would lead to an Oscar nomination. We are extremely grateful to the Academy and very proud to have contributed to David's vision."

Alexandre Desplat (Best Original Score, The King's Speech): "It's only five composers a year, so being on the short list is a huge win for each of us. There's many, many great composers that also deserve to be there, so humbly I'm very proud and really honored.

"Tom [Hooper, the director] offered me the music prior to starting 'Harry Potter.' I just had a window before starting 'Deathly Hallows,' and I did not hesitate a second. This movie is a gem -- it's one of the rare movies that comes towards you that...talks about friendship and love and about a man who's suffering and struggling with his handicap. It's not a movie where the music cries out and blasts your ears. It's deeper than that and that's also what I like, to write something really deep and emotional. I'm very proud to have done that with Tom.

"I'm just starting the last episode of 'Harry Potter.' I did the penultimate, and now I'm just starting on the last one, which will be huge fireworks -- it will be a lot of energy to give away. That's my next main big thing."

Hans Zimmer (Best Original Score, Inception): "People always ask me, 'Aren't you jaded?' Of course I'm not jaded. I think each of these movies is a work in itself, and I'm particularly proud of 'Inception.' So it's nice when it's about something that you really care about.

"[Christopher Nolan, the director] brings out the best in me, and he does it in a clever and sneaky way. He basically tries to always encourage me and encourage my imagination to run riot and he doesn't encourage my best behavior [laughs].

"I'm working with my friend and fellow nominee John Powell [nominated for best original score for 'How to Train Your Dragon'] on 'Kung Fu Panda 2.' Of course there's friendly rivalry, always. We've known each other for a very, very long time. We started at the same place together, then he came and worked over here with me. Plus we're really good friends. I love his stuff; I love where he's going with his music. It gets very exciting when the two of us are in a room.

Tom Douglas (Best Original Song, Country Strong): "I teach a class on lyric writing at Belmont University, and I was on my way to class...so my wife went online and looked, and she called me and said, 'Aw, gosh, you didn't make it.' And I was disappointed; I wasn't crushed, but I was disappointed. But she was looking at the previous year's nominees; they hadn't posted this year's yet. Then [producer] Lia Vollack emailed me at 8 o'clock with the congratulations, and the phone's kind of blown up since then. It's hard to believe...I think every songwriter dreams of having a song in a movie, so it's really the thrill of a lifetime.

"Gwyneth [Paltrow] really transformed herself into this tragic country singer that we've all known and loved. Obviously, she doesn't need a country career, but if she wanted it, she could be a huge star in country music.

"I'm working with a new band called Mockingbird Sun, and I'm working tomorrow with Casey James -- he came in third on 'American Idol' last season. He's the real deal. He's a great singer and great guitar player, so I'm looking forward to writing with him.

Randy Newman (Best Original Song, Toy Story 3): "I'm honored that the Academy would choose to nominate me. I feel fortunate to have been part of the 'Toy Story' trilogy."

Alan Menken (Best Original Song, Tangled): "My cup runneth over. This is my tenth film musical, and Disney's 50th animated film. An Oscar nomination puts the whole experience beyond words for me."

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/171711/Trent-Reznor,-Hans-Zimmer-and-More-Comment-On-Oscar-Nominations.htm[/tscii:01a5806b65]

SoftSword
26th January 2011, 04:23 PM
[tscii:57cd430cd8]Trent Reznor, Hans Zimmer and More Comment On Oscar Nominations

Check out what the nominees have to say…

The nominees for the music categories at the Academy Awards have spoken to Billboard and given their reactions. Check them out below:

A.R. Rahman (Best Original Score and Best Original Song, 127 Hours): "I thought I would get maybe one [nomination] for either the score or the song, but to get two was definitely a surprise. I was entering a hotel in Zurich and I checked my email, and there was the news."Last time I worked with M.I.A. [on the 'Slumdog Millionaire' soundtrack], and she's more of a rapper and has very good ideas. Dido [who collaborated with Rahman on 'If I Rise'] is very melodic and has an extraordinarily healing voice. So it's two different personalities, but both of them work for me.

"It felt good for me to work on '127 Hours,' but at the same time I had to be careful because it wasn't an Indian score [like 'Slumdog Millionaire']. But Danny didn't have any doubts about it, so I didn't have any doubts, either. "

[b]Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (Best Original Score: The Social Network): "When David [Fincher, the director] approached us to write the score for 'The Social Network' we were intrigued and excited to see what we could bring to the project -- but truly couldn't imagine it would lead to an Oscar nomination. We are extremely grateful to the Academy and very proud to have contributed to David's vision."

Alexandre Desplat (Best Original Score, The King's Speech): "It's only five composers a year, so being on the short list is a huge win for each of us. There's many, many great composers that also deserve to be there, so humbly I'm very proud and really honored.

"Tom [Hooper, the director] offered me the music prior to starting 'Harry Potter.' I just had a window before starting 'Deathly Hallows,' and I did not hesitate a second. This movie is a gem -- it's one of the rare movies that comes towards you that...talks about friendship and love and about a man who's suffering and struggling with his handicap. It's not a movie where the music cries out and blasts your ears. It's deeper than that and that's also what I like, to write something really deep and emotional. I'm very proud to have done that with Tom.

"I'm just starting the last episode of 'Harry Potter.' I did the penultimate, and now I'm just starting on the last one, which will be huge fireworks -- it will be a lot of energy to give away. That's my next main big thing."

Hans Zimmer (Best Original Score, Inception): "People always ask me, 'Aren't you jaded?' Of course I'm not jaded. I think each of these movies is a work in itself, and I'm particularly proud of 'Inception.' So it's nice when it's about something that you really care about.

"[Christopher Nolan, the director] brings out the best in me, and he does it in a clever and sneaky way. He basically tries to always encourage me and encourage my imagination to run riot and he doesn't encourage my best behavior [laughs].

"I'm working with my friend and fellow nominee John Powell [nominated for best original score for 'How to Train Your Dragon'] on 'Kung Fu Panda 2.' Of course there's friendly rivalry, always. We've known each other for a very, very long time. We started at the same place together, then he came and worked over here with me. Plus we're really good friends. I love his stuff; I love where he's going with his music. It gets very exciting when the two of us are in a room.

Tom Douglas (Best Original Song, Country Strong): "I teach a class on lyric writing at Belmont University, and I was on my way to class...so my wife went online and looked, and she called me and said, 'Aw, gosh, you didn't make it.' And I was disappointed; I wasn't crushed, but I was disappointed. But she was looking at the previous year's nominees; they hadn't posted this year's yet. Then [producer] Lia Vollack emailed me at 8 o'clock with the congratulations, and the phone's kind of blown up since then. It's hard to believe...I think every songwriter dreams of having a song in a movie, so it's really the thrill of a lifetime.

"Gwyneth [Paltrow] really transformed herself into this tragic country singer that we've all known and loved. Obviously, she doesn't need a country career, but if she wanted it, she could be a huge star in country music.

"I'm working with a new band called Mockingbird Sun, and I'm working tomorrow with Casey James -- he came in third on 'American Idol' last season. He's the real deal. He's a great singer and great guitar player, so I'm looking forward to writing with him.

Randy Newman (Best Original Song, Toy Story 3): "I'm honored that the Academy would choose to nominate me. I feel fortunate to have been part of the 'Toy Story' trilogy."

Alan Menken (Best Original Song, Tangled): "My cup runneth over. This is my tenth film musical, and Disney's 50th animated film. An Oscar nomination puts the whole experience beyond words for me."

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/171711/Trent-Reznor,-Hans-Zimmer-and-More-Comment-On-Oscar-Nominations.htm[/tscii:57cd430cd8]

idhe madhiri interview dhan last time'um kudutthadha nyabagam... deja-voooooo...

adhu sari...
indha predict panra site, nibunargal ellam iruppangalae... avunga enna solranga...?

lancelot
26th January 2011, 05:10 PM
adhu sari...
indha predict panra site, nibunargal ellam iruppangalae... avunga enna solranga...?

Avanga ippathaan prediction start panni iruppanga. oru rendu naal time kodunga, prediction ellam vandudum! (my pathetic attempt to type tamil)

SoftSword
26th January 2011, 05:36 PM
not bad lance...

lancelot
26th January 2011, 06:36 PM

ajaybaskar
28th January 2011, 06:03 PM
Heard that Star Movies is soon gonna telecast 127 Hours.

DVD to be released on March 1st.

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/4721

littlemaster1982
28th January 2011, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure if this film could be watched multiple times. Still thinking if I should download it or not :roll:

SoftSword
28th January 2011, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure if this film could be watched multiple times. Still thinking if I should download it or not :roll:

i am sure u can...
within a week u would be tempted to watch... jus to understand the subtle scores and the way of making...

padam patthtu.. oru murai songs kettu paarunga..... u ll be tend to watch 2nd time...
apram oru murai periya thalainga... ayalnaattu arivujeevi's review padinga... u ll be tend to watch 3rd time...

Sunil_M88
28th January 2011, 07:19 PM

Thats how I feel too, however I would still like to have my own copy after all it's Rahman's third Hollywood movie and so it adds to the collecion. :)

Yathu
28th January 2011, 11:03 PM
[tscii:4eaffb9f12]Dido's reaction to the Oscar nomination for Best Song, from her official site (http://www.didomusic.com/gb/news_and_diary/news/i_nearly_fell_off_my_chair/):

"I nearly fell off my chair"
Fri 28th Jan, 2011

Following this week's amazing news that If I Rise has been nominated for the Best Song Oscar, we gave Dido a shout to find out a bit more about collaborating with A.R. Rahman, being on the 127 Hours soundtrack and plans for album #4.

Hi Dido, congratulations on the Oscar nomination. Where were you when you found out about it?

I was in a restaurant and a friend texted me. I nearly fell off my chair.

Presumably you're pretty pleased?

I'm so pleased. It's a proper honour and getting to work with someone as brilliant as A.R. Rahman on a Danny Boyle movie is a bit of a dream come true anyway. Way back when, the 'Trainspotting' soundtrack was probably one of the musical moments that influenced me the most. I actually wrote 'Here With Me' which was my first song over a track on there. Danny Boyle has always done incredible music in his films I think, and I'm a huge A.R. Rahman fan anyway. A.R. Rahman’s whole soundtrack to this film is beautiful and I’m properly proud to be a part of it.

Have you spoken to A.R. Rahman since the nomination was announced?

I have, I spoke to him yesterday. What a lovely guy. Very inspiring.

Of course, this is just one of six awards that 127 Hours is up for. Did you expect it to do so well when you became involved?

To be honest I'd only read the book when I first got involved. I was working with A.R on something else anyway and he mentioned that he was working on a soundtrack. He told me the story of the film and I realised I actually already had Aron Ralston's book at home because it had interested me. I went home, read the book properly which was very moving and very inspiring, and then went back in and did the track. A.R. explained where in the film the track would be and it felt like the 'no lyrics' lyrics in the verses were the right thing to do as it wouldn't interfere with what was going on in the scene too much. I didn't think too much more of it other than that it was a great experience to work with A.R. and a beautiful piece of music. I didn't actually see the film for the first time until recently when everything was finished.

And what did you think of the film?

I was blown away by it. As I'd read the book I was pretty intrigued as to how Danny Boyle was going to get round the fact that it's one guy stuck in a rock for the whole film. He did it absolutely brilliantly. I was so drawn in from the word go, really moved and riveted and actually found it pretty exhilarating and inspiring by the end. The way it was shot just draws you right in and I felt a bit like I was cutting my own arm off at the pivotal scene. I hope I'd be able to have the human strength to do the same thing in the same situation! My hiking holiday in Utah wasn't nearly as exciting though...

This is a great start to 2011 for you. Is it looking like you'll finish the new album this year too?

The new album should be finished soon. Very excited about it. We've had a lot of fun doing it. I've done a lot of stuff with Rollo here in the UK and then I spent some time in California over the summer and wrote a load of songs there with a different flavour that I love. Driving round California is about the most inspiring thing for me I think. I got to work with some great people there too - Jeff Bhasker, Greg Kurstin, Rick Nowels again. Happy days.

Would you like to work with A.R. Rahman again?

I'd absolutely love to. We have done another track and I just need to finish the lyrics on that and we'll get that finished and I'd love to do more with him. He's an amazing human being to be around and incredibly talented and I learnt a lot from the short time we already spent together. His melodies are absolutely beautiful. I realised I'd never actually sung another person's melody as one of my songs and he writes melodies I could never write but I just love singing. Especially when you get more of the Indian scale in there. It's not dissimilar to Irish music and so it really resonates with me and moves me.

Do you have any other collaborations lined up?

I certainly do. Too early to say for sure as I don't want to jinx things but there are things going on hopefully!

Finally, if you win, where do you think you'd put the statuette?

Where everyone can see it. :) It would be pretty unbelievable to win an Oscar.[/tscii:4eaffb9f12]

Sunil_M88
29th January 2011, 12:30 AM
Wonderful read Yathu, thanks.

ajaybaskar
29th January 2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the share, Yathu. :-)

jaaze
29th January 2011, 05:59 PM
Heard that Star Movies is soon gonna telecast 127 Hours.

DVD to be released on March 1st.

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/4721The movie is yet to have a theatrical release here. 17 March is the tentative date announced :x

Yathu
29th January 2011, 09:23 PM

I was working with A.R on something else anyway and he mentioned that he was working on a soundtrack....We have done another track and I just need to finish the lyrics on that and we'll get that finished and I'd love to do more with him.

Could this other track be be featuring on ARR's rumoured international album?? :happydance:

ajaybaskar
30th January 2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, It is.. :-)

Heard that he is putting his heart and soul for this. Hope he churns out a masterpiece..

sathya_1979
30th January 2011, 11:16 AM
"If I Rise" wins Best Original Song at Denver's Film Critic Society
http://www.awardsdaily.com/2011/01/social-network-daft-punk-rule-in-denver/

Best Original Song:

A.R. Rahman & Dido, If I Rise, 127 Hours
John Legend, Shine, Waiting For Superman
Chris Martin, Me and Tennessee, Country Strong
Randy Newman, We Belong Together, Toy Story 3

ajaybaskar
30th January 2011, 11:21 AM
Super.. :-)

Sunil_M88
30th January 2011, 11:04 PM
Yes, It is.. :-)

Heard that he is putting his heart and soul for this. Hope he churns out a masterpiece..

"If I Rise" wins Best Original Song at Denver's Film Critic Society
http://www.awardsdaily.com/2011/01/social-network-daft-punk-rule-in-denver/

Double the happiness :yes:

lancelot
7th February 2011, 06:22 PM
Watched the movie. a very moving story and amazing Direction, Acting and Cinematography. And just like in SDM, (and all Boyle movies) music plays an important part. Well done Danny Boyle and team

menchester03
7th February 2011, 08:50 PM
Well, A. R. Rahman is best composer ever. I saw 127 Hours. Really really great movie and the music is awesome by A.R.R

ajaybaskar
8th February 2011, 06:37 PM
ARR @ Oscar Luncheon 2011

http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-headlines-in-national/presenting-the-oscar-nominations-luncheon-2011-picture?slide=29392016#main

Yathu
14th February 2011, 01:52 AM
ARR misses out on the Bafta for Best Score to Alexandre Desplat for The King's Speech. :(

"19:10 The King's Speech has its first award of the evening: Best Score for French film composer Alexandre Desplat. He's previously been nominated for four Baftas, and also composed the music for The Queen."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/baftas/8319765/Baftas-2011-live.html

somu_87
15th February 2011, 01:44 AM
http://www.starmovies.in/oscar/index.html

For Live Telecast ! :-D

Yathu
15th February 2011, 05:03 AM
'If I Rise' video shoot pics from Dido's twitter page (http://twitter.com/didoofficial):

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/241659603.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1297726849&Signature=U1A36dIIaMOF5QqF4j4eFi8JUFI%3D

"got some snaps from the 'if i rise' video shoot today. let's see if i can remember how to do this... dxxx"

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/241660656.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1297726904&Signature=T4sF2mqS6OdGsYdabqMzu8RjMGo%3D

"i'm in the desert! dxx"

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/241666038.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1297726915&Signature=DDfQ0YWZgHG84wJgdqW5DUil%2BOM%3D

"me and ARR xxx"

--------------------------------------------

OOooooh can't wait to see it! :D I wonder how it will do when it's released as a single here. I wonder if people will get it. :S

ajaybaskar
17th February 2011, 06:00 PM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/179827_501914921719_63441126719_6784870_4089140_n. jpg

satissh_r
18th February 2011, 08:37 AM
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/02/17/exclusive-dido-and-ar-rahmans-if-i-rise-music-video/

Got the video link from yahoo groups :)

Sunil_M88
19th February 2011, 08:32 PM
It would be a dream come true to see thalaivar and dido the angel on screen.

Thank you ever so much Satissh. :clap:

Nice to see ARR on the Harpejji.

Sunil_M88
22nd February 2011, 08:08 PM
This soundtrack is also unique because it features selections with actual singing in them. “If I Rise” features vocals by both Dido and A.R. Rahman. This song was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song, and it really comes off as powerful by using soft and soothing (http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/127-hours-soundtrack-review-02-21-2011#) music. It sort of gives the listener the feeling that they have the ability to do anything that they want, and coupled with the main character Aron's impressive story of survival, it carries a touching message

source: http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/127-hours-soundtrack-review-02-21-2011

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2011, 03:08 PM
http://scottfeinberg.com/deepvote17

Sunil_M88
23rd February 2011, 05:57 PM
Thank you for sharing this news.

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2011, 05:58 PM
If only every voter share the same opinion..

V_S
24th February 2011, 12:08 AM
http://moviemusereviews.com/oscars-2011-best-original-score-and-song-predictions/

It’s also important to note that the Academy is also interested in the role a song plays in the film. This hurts a film in which it simply plays in the credits, yet if that song embodies the spirit of the film, that’s what matters most.
Eventhough they have predicted "I See the Light" for Best Original song, for the same reason mentioned above, "If I Rise" should win. It will.

Yathu
24th February 2011, 03:38 AM
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/02/17/exclusive-dido-and-ar-rahmans-if-i-rise-music-video/

A chilled video to suit the tone of the song. I wonder if music channels here will he airing it. Nice to see AR promoting the Harpeji as well! :D

ajaybaskar
24th February 2011, 12:08 PM
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20110222/600_dido21_110222_225128.jpg?2

British singer Dido won't be walking the red carpet at the 2011 Academy Awards. She's expecting a baby and cannot fly to the show in Los Angeles.

But the sacrifice will be worth it one day, according to "127 Hours" composer A. R. Rahman.

"Her son or her daughter will be able to say that their mom didn't go to the Oscars just for me," Rahman said, with a grin, in an interview with Canada AM from London, England.

The Indian film composer and "White Flag" singer joined forces on the "127 Hours" song, "If I Rise."

Rahman, 45, wrote the music. Dido, 39, penned the lyrics.

Now the tune and duo are included in this year's Oscar race for Best Original Song.

"It's such an emotional story," Dido told Canada AM.

Like many moviegoers, Dido was inspired by this gripping, real-life survival tale based on Aron Ralston's 2004 book, "Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

The film adaptation from director Danny Boyle recounts Ralston's fight for survival after a fall down a Utah cave in 2003.

A boulder trapped Ralston's arm, leaving the mountain climber trapped for five days. With no rescue in sight, Ralston amputated his arm with a dull knife to save his life.

"If I Rise" plays during the movie's big scene.

That life-or-death moment, played out by James Franco on screen, is jacked up even further thanks to the song's rousing chorus performed by The Gleehive Children's Choir from Mumbai.

"We both felt that using too many lyrics in the verse would be intrusive…So I just closed my eyes and thought about the story," said Dido.

The music video premiered on the Wall Street Journal website on February 17.

"If I Rise" faces strong competition

It featured Dido singing and Rahman playing the Harpejji, a combination guitar-keyboard instrument that is used heavily in the film's track.

Despite such original touches, "If I Rise" is up against tunes from "Country Strong," "Tangled," and "Toy Story 3" in this year's Best Original Song category.

Rahman and British indie singer Florence Welch (Florence and the Machine) should deliver one of the night's most unique moments when they perform "If I Rise" together on stage.

But that Oscar limelight is nothing new to Rahman.

The musician and record producer collaborated with Boyle on 2008's Oscar-winning film, "Slumdog Millionaire."

Rahman won two Academy Awards in 2009 for Best Original Music Score and Best Original Song.

Boyle hired Rahman once again to create the score for "127 Hours -- a film which has earned six Oscar nominations, including Best Picture and Best Actor for Franco.

Unlike Rahman, this year's Best Original Song nomination was a first for Dido.

"I was completely surprised," Dido told Canada AM.

The London-based singer-songwriter became a worldwide sensation with her 1999 debut Album, "No Angel," which sold more than 21 million copies worldwide.

Her 2003 album, "Life for Rent," also enjoyed huge success thanks to the hit singles, "White Flag" and "Life for Rent."

Even if her Oscar experience is enjoyed from afar this year, Did owes it all to a single phone call.

"I gave her a call and asked whether she'd be interested," Rahman said.

"She saw the script. She read the script. That was that."

Yathu
25th February 2011, 05:18 AM

A chilled video to suit the tone of the song. I wonder if music channels here will he airing it. Nice to see AR promoting the Harpeji as well! :D

I thought you posted this video, the official one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG5HtBL-2vs

Yathu
25th February 2011, 05:33 AM
The 2011 Oscar Race: TIME Picks the Winners

Who will win this year's Oscars, and why? Each day this week, TIME examines every category, from Best Picture to Sound Mixing, to help you ace your office-pool ballot. Check back tomorrow for more categories!

Best Original Score

http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2011/corliss_oscars/corliss_oscars_soundtrack.jpg

How to Train Your Dragon, John Powell
Inception, Hans Zimmer
The King's Speech, Alexandre Desplat
127 Hours, A.R. Rahman (WINNER)
The Social Network, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Where are the composers of yesteryear, when the likes of Erich Korngold (The Sea Hawk) and Max Steiner (Gone With the Wind) created theme music and background music that sang at the perfect pitch of their movies' emotions? Nowadays, composers either provide studious evocations of the great old stuff (Desplat for The King's Speech) or manufacture an industrial-strength soundscape (Reznor and Ross for The Social Network). The Nine Inch Nails guys' work on the Facebook film was no mean achievement, but would anyone want to listen to the whole soundtrack CD straight through?

OK, enough alterkocker whining. Desplat's and Zimmer's scores certainly contribute to their films' success, the first subtly, the second with suitable bombast. And there's no doubting the Academy members' exhaustion as they get toward the end of filling out their ballots, remember how they cried as the King learned to speak, and figure the music must have been an accelerator to their emotions.

But we're trusting — the word might be hoping — that they'll recognize 127 Hours, the one film that is organically dependent on its music and that, at its climax, soars on its score the way classic movies so often did. Rahman, the world's most prolific and popular composer, lent his irrepressible melodic gift to Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire, set in Rahman's native land, and nearly tops himself here with music that is tense, oppressive and finally exalting. While The King's Speech is still the favorite, we're leading with our heart and betting on 127 Hours.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2044968_2052929_2053238,00.html

ajaybaskar
25th February 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the share, Yathu :-)

SoftSword
25th February 2011, 04:22 PM
what is the date and time....
last time it was on 22nd feb.

ajaybaskar
25th February 2011, 04:27 PM
27th Feb. For us, its Feb 28th 6 AM.

Roshan
25th February 2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks Yathu for sharing.. :)

SoftSword
25th February 2011, 04:38 PM
27th Feb. For us, its Feb 28th 6 AM.
gmt time pls

ajaybaskar
25th February 2011, 04:43 PM
0.30 AM, 28th Feb

SoftSword
25th February 2011, 04:47 PM
super... sunday nite aayudhangaloda ukkandhura vendiyadhu dhaan.

Roshan
25th February 2011, 05:04 PM
0.30 AM, 28th Feb

5 am for me in Kabul (intha winter kulirula 5 am.. :( ) Which are the channels that are telecasting it live?

SoftSword
25th February 2011, 05:12 PM
yen tv perusa vanginadhaala theruvulaye vechu pathutu irukeengala??
veettukkulla dhane tv pappinga? quilt'kulla irundha eli madhiri etti pattha podhadha...
idhellam oru panjayatthunu sabai'ku kondu vandhirukeenga... :)

directhit
25th February 2011, 05:28 PM
8:30 AM ... fever vara vachidalaama :think: but last time i was in Office and thalaivar got 2.. ore kanpeesan...

SoftSword
25th February 2011, 05:31 PM
anoop... pesama neenga office'e ponga...
nanum annakki potta shirt thedittu irukken.

directhit
25th February 2011, 05:41 PM
neenga solradhu correct dhaan, but appo i was in another company, thirumba ulla viduvaangalanu dhaan doubt :yessir:

SoftSword
25th February 2011, 05:46 PM
by company do u mean office/organization? or someone's company?

ajaybaskar
25th February 2011, 05:49 PM
Star Movies, Star Plus, Star World in India.

directhit
25th February 2011, 05:51 PM
by company do u mean office/organization? or someone's company?

http://www.zanyimages.com/Friendship/That%20was%20funny....jpg

Roshan
25th February 2011, 06:00 PM
yen tv perusa vanginadhaala theruvulaye vechu pathutu irukeengala??
veettukkulla dhane tv pappinga? quilt'kulla irundha eli madhiri etti pattha podhadha...
idhellam oru panjayatthunu sabai'ku kondu vandhirukeenga... :)

Hehe .. ellaam oru saaljaapputhaan... am a late riser, adhuvum intha winter'la I have never got off my bed before 8 am. 5 am is the peak time of my sleep. Anyway will try. Anything for AR.

SoftSword
25th February 2011, 06:02 PM
manasu irundhaa margabandhu.

Ramakrishna
26th February 2011, 12:33 AM
bloody....Moonu channel-ume varaathey....Somebody idea pls.

littlemaster1982
26th February 2011, 10:59 AM
Online streaming :huh:

ajaybaskar
26th February 2011, 11:01 AM
Yes.. I watched the whole 2009 function online..

Mahen
26th February 2011, 06:43 PM
Padam parthen..rasithen :) Awesome movie :takeabow: Music :takeabow: Solla pudikila but heck it... 127hrs>>>>Slumdog, both movie and music..When ARR's name appeared, adrenaline rush...:)

jaaze
26th February 2011, 10:36 PM
i just watched it too
missed the opening credits and disappointed there were no special closing credits like SDM but was satisfied with If I Rise playing at the end

agree with you, mahen :)

the usure poguthe bit used in its literal context was well suited

jaaze
26th February 2011, 10:39 PM
8:30 AM ... fever vara vachidalaama :think: but last time i was in Office and thalaivar got 2.. ore kanpeesan...

same kanpeesan :sigh2:
but last time i was at home studying for an exam :roll:

jaaze
26th February 2011, 10:41 PM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181738_175069979206549_119238248123056_360705_7601 495_n.jpg

Mahen
27th February 2011, 06:57 AM
CAnt watch Oscars :( last day of the month, i cant take leave :evil:

littlemaster1982
27th February 2011, 08:12 AM
Oru avasaratthukku kooda leave edukkamudiyaama appadi enna work :twisted:

united07
27th February 2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.moviefone.com/oscars-academy-awards/features/oscar-predictions

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

The Nominees:
'Coming Home' - 'Country Strong'
'I See the Light' - 'Tangled'
'If I Rise' - '127 Hours'
'We Belong Together' - 'Toy Story 3'

Will Win: '127 Hours'
Dark Horse: 'Toy Story 3'

Commentary: This is a wide-open field, which means that any movie could win, especially 'Toy Story 3,' which has the most recognizable name (Randy Newman). But don't count out A.R. Rahman, who won two years ago for 'Slumdog Millionaire' and who may very well win again this year.

Scale
27th February 2011, 11:56 AM
ARR will win both! If its not for the score I would be very much disappointed.

jaaze
27th February 2011, 12:30 PM
i can't watch it too :(

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 01:03 AM
aachu... ellaam vaangi vechachu...
yaarellaam company??
online link irukka?? etthini manikkku thalaivar ulla varuvaar?

directhit
28th February 2011, 06:46 AM
Any working stream links?

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 06:51 AM
finally someone is there..

here u go http://www.ustream.tv/channel/edmonton-cinema

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 07:08 AM
Enna nadakkudhu :confused2:

directhit
28th February 2011, 07:13 AM
thx SS - lemme try now

lm?

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 07:16 AM
There was some kind of spoof shown in TV, panction aarambichurchana-nu theriyalai :p

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 07:17 AM
Anyone has the order in which awards are given?

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 07:19 AM
last time it was seventh or eighth in the order

directhit
28th February 2011, 07:20 AM
woooohooo, watching it live at my desk thanks to my phone and softsword :ty:

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 07:24 AM
Got it;

- Tom Hanks is the first presenter, handing out the Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography Oscars, followed by Kirk Douglas presenting Best Supporting Actress.

- Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis present the Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Film Oscars, then Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin award the Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Screenplay Oscars.

- Franco and Hathaway appear in what's described as a "performance comedy" with a wardrobe change of gowns and tuxedos.

- Russell Brand and Helen Mirren present the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, then comes Reese Witherspoon to hand out the Supporting Actor Oscar.

- Academy President Tom Sherak next comes out onto the Kodak Theatre stage to talk.

- Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman come out to perform past film score medley with the orchestra, then hand out the Best Original Score Oscar.

- Next, Matthew McConaughey and Scarlett Johansson present the Best Sound Mixing and Best Sound Editing Oscars.

- Marisa Tomei comes out to present the Motion Picture Arts & Sciences' Sci-Tech Awards recap.

- Anne Hathaway is shown in a tux. Which leads to a transition to Cate Blanchett, who presents the Best Makeup and Best Costume Design Oscars.

- There's an interlude of "Movie Music I Remember" introduced by Kevin Spacey.

- Next are the start of the Best Songs performances with Randy Newman performing We Belong Together from Toy Story 3, followed by Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi and Alan Mencken performing I See The Light from Tangled.

- Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams present the Best Documentary Short Subject and Best Live Action Short Film Oscars.

- Anne Hathaway and James Franco do a comedy bit together in another wardrobe change - their third.

- Oprah Winfrey presents Best Documentary feature. Meanwhile, her BFF Gayle King will be backstage doing live interviews.

- Anne Hathaway introduces Billy Crystal for a "surprise" appearance, who does a monologue on the movie industry.

- Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law present the Best Visual Effects and Film Editing Oscars.

- Another Anne Hathaway wardrobe change, followed by the next two Best Song performances: If I Rise from 127 Hours, performed by Florence Welch (of Florence And the Machine), followed by Coming Home from Country Strong.

- Then Jennifer Hudson presents the Best Original Song Oscar.

- Celine Dion and the William Ross-conducted orchestra perform Smile, during the In Memoriam segment. Following is a Lena Horne tribute introduced by Halle Barry.

- The Best Director Award will be presented by Hilary Swank and last year's winner Kathryn Bigelow.

- Annette Bening introduces the Governors Awards package held in a separate ceremony in November, with the honourees introduced onstage: actor Eli Wallach, film historian/preservationist Kevin Brownlow, and Francis Ford Coppola. The fourth honouree, French director Jean-Luc Godard, declined to attend.

- Last year's Best Actor winner Jeff Bridges presents the Best Actress Oscar.

- Anne Hathaway undergoes her fifth wardrobe change, before last year's Best Actress winner Sandra Bullock presents the Best Actor Oscar.

- Steven Spielberg presents the Best Motion Picture Oscar.

- The show closes with a student choir singing Over The Rainbow.

- In addition, Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd will appear in a Back To The Future segment, although it's not clear exactly at what point in the show.

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 07:31 AM
master last 5 hoursa indha madhiri agenda... predictions... idhellam patthu bore adichiduchu :)

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 07:35 AM
master last 5 hoursa indha madhiri agenda... predictions... idhellam patthu bore adichiduchu :)

Appuram yen naan kettappa post pannala :evil:

directhit
28th February 2011, 07:37 AM
Toy Story 3 wins it :hurray: loved 'Train your Dragon' equally as well

directhit
28th February 2011, 07:41 AM
eh, the stream is showing armageddon in some foreign language :argh:

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 07:41 AM
enna ketteenga neenga?
naanum romba nerama yarumae illama inga tea aathikittu irundhen... appo yarachum keteengalaa...

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 07:42 AM
Toy Story 3 wins it :hurray: loved 'Train your Dragon' equally as well

:yes: One of the very few times that another animated film stood up to Pixar :)

MADDY
28th February 2011, 08:14 AM
thalaivar didnt make the cut in original score

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 08:14 AM
Social Network got it :| At least they could have given it to HTTYD or Inception :curse:

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 08:15 AM
1 gone.......

V_S
28th February 2011, 08:17 AM
When they announced the nominations and Rahman's score was shown along with others, it was goosebumps for me! Even though Rahman could not win this time, this is just a great honour! :notworthy: Feel very proud!

directhit
28th February 2011, 08:17 AM
am leaving home, hope to get there in time b4 thalaivar's performance atleast...

baroque
28th February 2011, 08:28 AM
we are proud of you, Rahman.
yeah... it was very emotional when they showed the clip.
You are pride of India.
vinatha.

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 08:28 AM
am leaving home, hope to get there in time b4 thalaivar's performance atleast...

Office-kku mattam pottutteengala :o

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 08:34 AM
thalaivar gonna perform now

directhit
28th February 2011, 08:34 AM
Office-kku mattam pottutteengala :o

:oops: public pannaadheenga

Any working links makkale

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/oscar-s-2011-with-lewis-fennell

MADDY
28th February 2011, 09:02 AM
has the original song category gone?? enna ore vazha vazha kozha kozha-nnnu pesitte irukkka

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 09:03 AM
not yet i guess...
all the links are banned here... :(

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 09:05 AM
TSN and inception leading the nos till now....

m_karthik
28th February 2011, 09:06 AM
Special Effects/Editing Awards completed.. Next is remaining 2 songs performance and Original Song Award

MADDY
28th February 2011, 09:08 AM
yeah - up next is original song award along with performance :D

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 09:11 AM
thalaivar dhan kadasi performance

m_karthik
28th February 2011, 09:13 AM
Singing now... :)

baroque
A.R.Rahman on the stage

SoftSword
no he is here........
oh man....

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 09:16 AM
mmmmmmmmm gone

MADDY
28th February 2011, 09:17 AM
goddamnit its a sinking feeling

directhit
:( :( :( che

littlemaster1982
Missed both :cry:

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 09:18 AM
ok ok.. 2012'la meet pannuvom...

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 09:20 AM
nalla velai... result'ku munnadiye pasangalukku party vechachu.. illenaa partye illama poirukkum..... :(

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 09:20 AM
good nite guys..

Ramakrishna
28th February 2011, 09:21 AM
oh crap..........

V_S
28th February 2011, 09:23 AM
It's sad :sad:, but again listed in top four is no mean an under achievement. Congratulations to Randy Newman! it seems he has been nominated twenty times and this is his second award.

venkkiram
28th February 2011, 09:27 AM
Better luck next time Rahmanji...

baroque
28th February 2011, 09:30 AM
I am enjoying the show.
I expected with enthusiasm. that's ok.
Winning is something but it is not everything.
Rahman's winning attitude & his modesty is something charismatic.
Everybody thinks he is AWESOME
good luck, next time.
vinatha.

Mahen
28th February 2011, 09:36 AM
:( Pochi..better luck next time

AudazJay
28th February 2011, 09:51 AM
ARR might have lost out on the awards, but he definitely gained a place in the audiences' hearts with the AMAZING performance on stage. "If I rise" was just breathtaking! You couldn't have made us more proud than this Sir! :)

Dinesh84
28th February 2011, 10:24 AM
All the best for next year Rahman sir :D
No need to feel sad.. BTW.. great performance by ARR on stage :)

Ramakrishna
28th February 2011, 10:28 AM
Performance video anyone?

Scale
28th February 2011, 10:41 AM
Its indeed a disappointment. Better luck next time Sir!

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2044968_2052929_2053238,00.html

Richard Corliss :notworthy:

ajaybaskar
28th February 2011, 11:23 AM
The week has started so bad.. :-(

First, the tie and now thalaivar losing. God, pls give me something to cherish..

AudazJay
28th February 2011, 11:25 AM
ARR and Florence Welch performing at Oscars!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T05567oEx-o

Nerd
28th February 2011, 06:47 PM
I missed it last time since I was on a plane. This time I was all prepared and had goosebumps/tears of joy when 1. They announced ARR's name for original score 2. When they played a music bit from (R.I.P?) 3. When they announced his name again for original song 4. When he performed - What an amazing performance, easily the best among the four. But the final disappointment was too much to handle for me. I had no intentions of turning the TV off without watching the whole thing and leaving the stunning Hathaway in the middle but I did as soon as they announced TS3 for original song. Now I have found a reason to hate TS3.

Anyway five times nominee, twice winner is certainly no mean achievement. Please continue to make us proud :bow:

ajaybaskar
28th February 2011, 06:55 PM
:anandakanneer:

littlemaster1982
28th February 2011, 07:40 PM
I missed it last time since I was on a plane. This time I was all prepared and had goosebumps/tears of joy when 1. They announced ARR's name for original score 2. When they played a music bit from (R.I.P?) 3. When they announced his name again for original song 4. When he performed - What an amazing performance, easily the best among the four. But the final disappointment was too much to handle for me. I had no intentions of turning the TV off without watching the whole thing and leaving the stunning Hathaway in the middle but I did as soon as they announced TS3 for original song. Now I have found a reason to hate TS3.

Anyway five times nominee, twice winner is certainly no mean achievement. Please continue to make us proud :bow:

I was kind of prepared for disappointment. Even there is no buzz in Indian media or among general public like the last time. As ARR said "there's always a next time" :D

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 07:49 PM
even i was kinda prepared for the disappointment, but i was more prepared for the enjoyment.
nite naalu mani varai thoongaama hub'la thaniya ukkaandhutu irundhen... i know its kadamai.

and, by any chance, would the people nominated get to know if they ll win or not?

epdiyo thedi thedi pudichu oru online stream p2p link evano potrundhaan...
kammanaattip'paya avan vilambaram thaanga mudila... adikkadi avanoda webcam'a kaatti saagadichaan..
paakka konjam paintadicha peter-haines madhiriye irundhaan...
idhula avan commentary vera.... :evil:

we can say it was an unlucky sunday for indians.

Nerd
28th February 2011, 07:55 PM
I knew he will not win the score (WTF is so great about TSN score, I don't get it. Inception was much better, don't remember much of HTTYD score). But I was expecting If I rise to rise above the other mediocre songs. And after watching him soulfully perform If I rise with such precision and concentration, not seeing him take the award almost brought me to tears. Me and wife were verichifying the TV for a couple of minutes before turning it off.

paakka konjam paintadicha peter-haines madhiriye irundhaan... :lol:

SoftSword
28th February 2011, 08:16 PM
naan negative result vandhaa romba feel aagakoodadhunu munnadiyae konjam mubbaaitten.

i was comparing with a prediction list in which almost 90% of it was rite and in that he was predicted to win the song.. adhanaala edhirpathutu irundhen.

AudazJay
1st March 2011, 08:50 AM
And after watching him soulfully perform If I rise with such precision and concentration, not seeing him take the award almost brought me to tears.

:exactly:The performance was a slap on the jury members' faces- I mean, what did those people were listening to anyway? He gave you THIS song and you couldn't find a reason to give him the Oscars??