PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies - Part 3

Pages : 1 [2]

Mrs.Mano
9th May 2011, 11:00 AM
Dear Sinrultz!
As I am in Tamilnadu now immersing in an important work, I am unable to post the remaining soup recipes which i have earlier promised. But i am often thinking about them. I will be returning back within a few days to my residence at Sharjah. Then I will post the recipes you have requested definitely. I regret for the delay indeed!

Mrs.Mano
9th May 2011, 11:01 AM
Dear Selvi!

Thanks for the nice comment. Hope you will soon try this green gram curry!

Mrs.Mano
9th May 2011, 11:07 AM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on GREEN GRAM CURRY. I felt happy to know that you have enjoyed this curry.
About Rice flakes potato bonda, it will be a nice snack in the evening time with coconut chutney as a side dish. Do dry it and give me your feedback.

selvieam
9th May 2011, 02:27 PM
aunty,
yesterday i tried green gram curry, as always it was a superhit.

we all liked it. we had it chapathi. also i had tried that rice flakes potato cutlet. it will be very tasty. but bonda version is new. will try definitely and give u the feedback.

Thattai
16th May 2011, 05:41 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Told my cook to make the Chicken Rasam yesterday. It came out very well, and was a welcome change from our usual chicken soup. Very flavourful and tasty. Am considering puréeing the tomatoes next time though, as my daughter doesn't like tomato chunks in her food. Would that make too much of difference to the taste? My husband really liked it and said it was like the soup one gets in Chettinaad hotels. My parents were also home and they also appreciated it a lot. Thanks again :)

Thattai
17th May 2011, 09:00 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Had the mutton voor kuzhambu with chapattis for dinner tonight. It was very tasty. I think it may have tasted even better with rice. But very good with rotis too. Nice and thick gravy. My hubby and daughter loved it as well! Thanks for a yummy recipe.

Mrs.Mano
17th May 2011, 10:26 PM
Dear Thattai!
Felt happy to see you here after a long time!
And thank you very much for the nice feedback on Mutton oorkuzhambu as well as chicken rasam. As for the chicken rasam, keep the tomatoes in boiled water for 20 minutes, peel off the skins, mash them and use it in the chicken rasam. Definitely it will be delicious! Regarding the oorkuzhambu, even though it is preferred with hot rice for most of the people, I prefer it with chapathis and parottas always! With pulao varieties also, it acts as a super side dish! Convey my heartiest thanks to your daughter, husband and parents!

Mrs.Mano
17th May 2011, 10:28 PM
Dear Selvi!

Thank you very much for the warm appreciation on green gram egg curry as well as rice flakes potato cutlet.

Mrs.Mano
18th May 2011, 12:58 AM
Dear Sinrultz!

I am posting here the recipe for Milagu thanni soup! This is the vegetarian soup. This is also prepared with chicken as well as mutton. In fact, this recipe has been given to me by one of our chefs in our restaurant! I have tasted it and appreciated him very much! Here comes the recipe for you! Hope you will enjoy it!

MILAGU THANNI SOUP: [Mulligatawny Soup]

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_2qhfWJltZTY/TdKmovIJpLI/AAAAAAAABMQ/3okol7eqjd4/SP_A0040.jpg
Ingredients:

Coconut oil- 1 ½ tbsp
Fennel seeds- ½ tsp
Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
Bay leaves-2
Salt to taste
Peppercorns- 1 tsp
Crushed garlic flakes [small]-5
Gram flour- 5 tsp
Chilli powder- ¼ tsp
Coriander powder- ¼ tsp
Cooked green gram- 2 tsp
Cooked raw rice- 2 tbsp
Butter- 2 tsp
Ground coconut paste- 2 tsp
Shredded carrot-1 [small]
Chopped onion-half

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil.
Add the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaves and the peppercorns and fry them on slow fire until an aroma floats on air.
Then add the vegetables with the garlic and fry them until they become soft.
Then add the gram flour and fry it smoothly.
Pour 5 cups of water and allow it to boil.
Add the powders, and salt and let it boil for a few minutes.
Mix it continuously to avoid the lumps.
Finally add in the ground paste and the green gram and boil for a few minutes until the soup is thickened to desired consistency.
Put off the fire and strain the soup.
Heat another saucepan, add the butter and fry the rice softly on slow fire for a few seconds.
Do not allow them to brown.
Pour this in the soup.
The delicious Milagu Thanni soup is ready now!!

sinrultz
19th May 2011, 01:24 AM
Thank You very much for the Recipe Ma'am
Cant wait to try it out...

Mrs.Mano
27th May 2011, 06:10 PM
Dear Sinrultz!

I am again posting here another interesting soup recipe. It is very easy to prepare but the taste will be very delicious.

TOMATO EGG DROP SOUP:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sowqsrUigUg/Td6aQ5Y7AjI/AAAAAAAABMs/YRa-kdwqoBY/SP_A0050.jpg

Ingredients:

Finely chopped ginger- ½ tsp
Finely chopped garlic- ½ tsp
Tomato sauce- 3 tsp
Chilli paste- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
White Pepper powder- 2 pinches
Sugar-2 pinches
Egg white-1
Corn flour-2 ½ tsp
Water- 3 cups
Butter- 1 tbsp
Ripe tomatoes-2

Procedure:

Put the tomatoes in boiled water for 30 minutes and peel off the skins.
Grind the tomatoes in to a puree.
Heat a pan and add the butter.
Add the ginger and garlic and fry them on slow fire for a few seconds.
Pour the water along with the tomato puree, pepper powder, chilli paste, sugar, tomato sauce and salt.
Let it boil for a few minutes until the raw taste of the tomatoes disappears.
Mix the corn flour with half cup of water.
Pour this in to the soup mixing thoroughly.
Boil the soup to the desired consistency.
Beat the egg well and pour on the soup in a circular motion.
Allow the soup to boil for a few seconds without mixing the soup.
The aromatic Tomato egg drop soup is ready now!

sinrultz
1st June 2011, 02:38 AM
Tried "Milagu thanni"..simple wow..very delicious.
Thanks again Ma'am

Mrs.Mano
12th June 2011, 08:41 PM
Dear Sinrultz!

Here is the recipe for chickpeas curry. I have learned this from a friend. Hope this will satisfy you! This is a fine accompaniment for puttu as well as chappathies.

KADALAI CURRY [ BLACK CHICKPEAS CURRY]:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g8Epqrhnmpk/TfTPxkObpcI/AAAAAAAABNc/8KcYIILr2mA/s800/CIMG4734.JPG

கொண்டக்கடலை கறி

Ingredients:

Cooked chickpeas-1 cup
Finely chopped onion- 1 cup
Finely chopped green chillies-1
Finely chopped tomato-1 cup
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Finely chopped coriander- half cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 4 tbsp

Grind the following ingredients to a fine paste:

Shredded coconut- ¼ cup
Curry leaves-15
Cooked chickpeas- 1 ½ tbsp
Green chilli-1

Procedure:

Add the onion with the GG pastes and fry them to golden brown.
Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and the green chilli and cook them until they are mashed and the oil floats on the surface.
Add the cooked chick peas with salt and 2 cups of water.
Let the curry boil for 10 minutes.
Then add the ground paste and mix well.
Boil for just 2 minutes.
Sprinkle the coriander and mix well.
The delicious chickpeas curry is ready to serve!!

selvieam
12th June 2011, 11:21 PM
awesome kadalai curry aunty. kids like this very much. ur receipe sounds good. kids like this for puttu, chapathi and bread. i will prepare this next week and give the feedback.

selvieam
12th June 2011, 11:22 PM
aunty can u please post bread aval uppma. i want to try that too.

suvai
13th June 2011, 06:07 AM
hello nga mrs mano..........:-)
your kadalai curry looks & sounds exactly like the one I had in india...kandipa try pannaren...........
i am positive its going to be another one of your hits.....;-)
hope all is well.

selvieam
14th June 2011, 06:51 PM
aunty made kadalai curry, very tasty. very easy to prepare too. we all loved it.

cdj
14th June 2011, 11:32 PM
The Kadalai curry was so good with chappathi. Thank you Mrs.Mano

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2011, 12:12 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the nice appreciation. i am sure you will soon try this Kadalai curry and give your nice feedback as always!

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2011, 12:13 PM
Dear CDJ!

Thank you very much for the warm appreciation and nice feedback on kadalai curry.

Mrs.Mano
18th June 2011, 12:17 PM
Dear Selvi!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on Kadalai curry.

I said that I will post the ‘Bread aval upma the previous day. But I could not post it due to some problems in the computer. Here I am posting it now!

BREAD AVAL UPMA [ BREAD RICEFLAKES UPMA]:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-og6feRoZ8vg/TfxILg9ranI/AAAAAAAABN4/juhDtv-Pepc/s800/CIMG4773.JPG

பிரெட் அவல் உப்புமா

Ingredients:

Bread slices-8
Rice flakes [aval]- 2 cups
Medium ripe tomatoes [ finely chopped ]-2
Onion finely chopped-2
Finely chopped spring onion- half cup
Finely sliced babycorn-3
Chopped coriander- half cup
Ginger garlic paste- half sp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tbsp
Asafoetida powder- half sp
Frozen Mixed vegetables- half cup
Frozen peas- half cup
Salt to taste
Oil-3 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Butter- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Cut the bread slices to small pieces.
Wash the aval and drain it without any water.
Heat a pan and pour the oil and the butter.
Add the mustards and when they splutter add the black gram with the asafoetida.
Add the onion pieces and fry them to golden brown.
Add the tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and the coriander leaves.
Cook them until the tomatoes are cooked like a paste and the oil floats on top.
Add the vegetables with a little salt and fry them until they are well cooked.
Add the aval with enough salt and cook for 5 minutes mixing well in intervals.
Finally add the bread pieces and mix well.
Cook for 3 minutes on slow fire.
The delicious bread aval upma is ready to serve now!!

selvieam
19th June 2011, 04:22 PM
thanks a lot aunty for sharing this delicious receipe, tomorrow i am planning to try this. i will give u the feedback.

dev
19th June 2011, 04:39 PM
This is a very diff combination!!! will try it...:)

selvieam
20th June 2011, 10:20 AM
aunty,
made bread aval uppma for breakfast today. it came out very well. as u said it was very delicious, different combination. kids took that uppma for their box today.
thanks a lot aunty. For dinner i made kadalai curry for puttu. it was also super duber hit in my house. thanks aunty.

cdj
22nd June 2011, 01:41 AM
உங்களுடைய பிரட் உப்புமா செய்தேன் திருமதி.மனோ. நல்ல சுவையுடன் அமைந்தது. இம்முறை whole wheat bread + சிவப்பு அவல் கொண்டு செய்ததில் சுவை சிறிது மாறுபட்டு இருக்கும் என்பது என் கருத்து. மற்றொரு முறை வெள்ளை அவல் + white bread கொண்டு செய்து பார்கிறேன். மற்றொரு சுவையான குறிப்பிற்கு நன்றி.

Mrs.Mano
13th July 2011, 11:32 PM
Dear Selvi!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on bread aval uppuma and the kadalai curry! Convey my thanks to your boys!

Mrs.Mano
13th July 2011, 11:37 PM
அன்புள்ள Cdj!

ரொம்பவும் தாமதமாக பதில் எழுதுவதற்காக வருந்துகிறேன். இந்தியப் பயணம் இருந்ததால் பதில் உடனேயே எழுத* முடியவில்லை.

பிரெட் அவல் உப்புமா whole wheat bread, சிகப்பு அவல் -இரண்டையும் உபயோகித்து செய்த*து மிகுந்த சுவையாக வந்ததறிந்து மகிழ்ச்சியடைந்தேன். பின்னூட்டத்திற்கு அன்பு நன்றி! வெள்ளை பிரெட், வெள்ளை அவல் உபயோகித்துச் செய்யும்போது இன்னும் அதிக சுவையுடன் இருக்கும்.

Mrs.Mano
13th July 2011, 11:43 PM
This is a new type of karuvadaka thuvaiyal. This suits well with idli, dosai and thayir sadham.

KARUVADAKA THUVAIYAL

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CNhD9C5PIJQ/Th3dBT6M16I/AAAAAAAABOc/9p7ktisQFp0/s800/CIMG4671.JPG

கருவடகத் துவையல்

Ingredients:

Gingelly oil- 3 tbsp
Green chillies-5
Tamarind- a gooseberry size
Karuvadakam- 2 tbsp
Shredded coconut- 11/2 cup
Black gram- 2 tsp
Asafoetida- a pea size
Salt to taste

Procedure:

In a tsp of oil, fry the karuvadakam to golden brown and take it away.
In the same pan, pour the remaining oil and fry the asafoetida and the black gram first.
Then add the green chillies and fry for a few seconds.
Add the coconut and fry it for a few seconds.
When cooled, grind all the ingredients with the tamarind and enough salt to a coarse mixture.

suvai
16th July 2011, 04:48 AM
Hello nga mrs mano.....:-)
Hope you had a good trip to India & is now back home.
What is karuvadakam nga? if its vegetarian, kindly post the recipe too if u have, would surely like to try out this new type of chutney .:-)
I had passed on your potato aval bonda recipe to a friend of mine & she said that it came out very well........:thumbsup:....thanks to u nga!..

Mrs.Mano
16th July 2011, 10:47 AM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks for the enquiry. Yes, I came back here last week. Frequent travels really affect every thing, health and relaxation, especially posting recipes in the forum hub as well as in my blogs.

Karuvadagam is common in all parts of Tamilnadu. This is a combination of small onions, garlic fakes, fenugreek seeds, etc and making this is a long process. Usually this is being prepared in hot summer days. This karavadagam is used for making delicious chutney varieties and also used in meen kuzhambu. Old people will peel off kilos of sambar onions and garlic flakes before the preparation of this karuvadagam. This can be stored for years. I am keeping them in a glass jar. This is the third year and still I have some. Hopefully I will prepare this next year when I go to Thanjavur.

I have already posted this recipe a long time ago in this forum hub. Here I am posting this recipe for you again.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2p9FVUBWUm0/TiEZ6LDCamI/AAAAAAAABOw/5BYq0YGeD18/s576/CIMG4823.JPG

KARUVADAGAM: [கருவடகம்]

Ingredients:

Small onions-3 kg,
6 whole garlic pods,
Mustard seeds-200gms,
Fenugreek seeds-100gms,
Split black gram-250gms,
Cumin seeds-250grams,
Salt especially crystal salt-2 handfuls,
Castor oil-200ml.

Procedure:

Peel off the outer skins and chop onions and garlic finely.
Add all the other things with it.
These combined ingredients are always smashed in an ‘ural’ lightly.
Instead you can crush them in a mixi lightly so that they can be shaped into lemon sized balls.
Take care not to crush them in full force then the juice will ooze out.
Make the balls and place them all in a flat plate especially bamboo plate.
Dry them in hot sun.
In the evening, break all of them, add half of the castor oil, mix well and make balls again.
In the morning, place them on the plate and again let them dry on the heat of the sun.
Again in the evening do the same process using the other half portion of the castor oil.
These balls must be dried in the hot sun for 4 or 5 days until they are well dried.
Then you can store in ajar.
You can keep them for a whole year-even for more days.

suvai
17th July 2011, 05:10 AM
hello nga mrs mano...adengappa semma velai pola to prepare this vadakam...but i really appreciate you posting the recipe once more for me.....awesome....i will send this recipe to folks back home & maybe i will ask them to try to make it there...anga thaan semma veyil aachey....maybe i can bring some back too when & if i go ;-)
Just the thought of the onions & garlic itself tells me that the chutney will be superrrrr for idly & dosai....
thank u.....:-)

cdj
27th July 2011, 11:28 AM
Greeting Mrs.Mano:
I prepared you vadaga thuvaiyal and it was awesome with idly. Thank you very much.

hi suvai,
I prepared this vadagam when I was in India last summer. The hardest part is the skinning of onions - I did 5 kilos. But the result I have is only 2 bottles. A treasure in the kitchen. Please do try.

Mrs.Mano
28th July 2011, 07:56 PM
Dear CDJ!

Thanks a lot for the nice feed back on vadaga thuvaiyal. I am posting here another version of vadaga thuvaial which will be very tasty!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KzvdP3-5f1U/TjFtSIU6XtI/AAAAAAAABPQ/0v9RPEwYk9g/s800/CIMG4835.JPG

VADAGA THUVAIYAL-2

Ingredients:

Vadagam- 2 tbsp
Big onions-2
Red chillies[long size]-8
Big tomato-1
Tamarind- a small lime size
Small garlic flakes-10
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- half cup

Procedure:

Heat a kadai and pour a tsp of oil.
Cut the onions and tomato in to thin slices and fry them nicely.
Add the red chillies and the garlic flakes.
Fry all the ingredients to golden brown.
Heat another pan and pour the remaining oil.
In modest heat fry the vadagams.
The vadagams should not turn black.
Take them away when they are in golden brown colour.
When cooled, grind all the ingredients with the tamarind and the salt to a little coarse paste.
Place the thuvaiyal in a small bowl and pour the fried oil on top and mix well.
This will be delicious with the idlies and the dosais.

www.muthusidharal.blogspot.com
www.manoskitchen.blogspot.com

Mrs.Mano
6th September 2011, 11:55 PM
Dear friends!

Due to continuous travels and some problems in the health, I could not post recipes for the past month. I came back again and am posting here an interesting recipe!
There are so many side dishes for chappathi. This dish with the combination of keerai, potato and chick peas is a best accompaniment for chappathi.

கீரை கொண்டக்கடலை கறி

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3w27ZgH6neU/TmZDi9_echI/AAAAAAAABQc/VaFcxildDIg/s576/CIMG4745.JPG

[/COLOR]PALAK CHICKPEAS CURRY

Ingredients:

Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Finely chopped Onion-3
Finely chopped tomato- 250 gm
Finely chopped palak- 2 cups
Soaked and cooked chick peas- 1 cup
Mashed potato- 200 gms
Salt to taste
Oil- 5 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp

Grind the following to a slightly coarse paste:

Shredded ginger- 1 tsp, mint- 15 leaves, green chillies-10, fennel seeds- 2 tsp, coriander leaves- a handful

Procedure:

Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the onion and fry them to golden brown.
Now add the ground paste and fry for a few minutes.
Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry well until they are mashed well and the oil floats on the surface.
Add 2 cups of water with the chick peas.
Boil them for some minutes with enough salt.
Then add the palak and boil until they are cooked but still in green colour.
Finally add the mashed potato and cook the curry on slow fire for a few minutes.
The delicious palak chickpeas curry is ready now to serve!!

cdj
7th September 2011, 04:38 AM
வணக்கம் மனோ மேடம்.
தொடர்ந்து நான்காவது நாளாக உங்களுடைய பூண்டு ரசம் (http://manoskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/garlic-rasam.html)தான் எங்கள் வீட்டில். குளிர ஆரம்பித்த பிறகு இந்த ரசத்தின் சுவை மிகவும் அலாதி ஆகிவிட்டது. தங்களின் கைவலி பரவாயில்லையா? உங்களுக்கு சௌஹரியம் ஆனபின் புதினா ரசம் செய்முறை பதிவு செய்கிறீர்களா? நன்றி.

Mrs.Mano
7th September 2011, 12:51 PM
அன்புள்ள cdj!

பூண்டு ரசம் பிடித்துப்போய் அதை அடிக்கடி வீட்டில் ரசித்து செய்வதறிந்து மிகவும் மகிழ்ச்சியடைந்தேன்.

என் கைவலி சில சமயம் குறைவதும் சில சமயம் அதிகரிப்பதுமாக இருக்கிறது. அறுவை சிகிச்சை தான் கடைசி வழி என்று மருத்துவர் கூறியுள்ளார். அக்கறையான விசாரிப்பிற்கு அன்பு நன்றி!

விரைவில் புதினா ரசம் பற்றிய குறிப்பு எழுதுகிறேன்.

Mrs.Mano
13th September 2011, 12:29 AM
Dear Cdj!

I am posting here the recipe for Mint rasam for you!

MINT RASAM

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MnZHaqqxEZQ/Tm5Snx70jZI/AAAAAAAABQo/d5pHtQCCAQ8/s576/CIMG5015.JPG

புதினா ரசம்

Ingredients:

Sambar onions – 6
Big tomato-1
Mint leaves- a handful
Thuar dal- ¼ cup
Red chillies-3
Pepeprcorns- ½ tsp
Coriander seeds- 2 tsp
Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- half sp
Oil- 1 tbsp

Procedure;

Boil the dal in the pressure cooker.
Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for half an hour and extract its juice.
In a tsp of oil fry the red chillies, coriander seeds and the peppercorns to golden brown.
Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the cumin seeds and fry for a second.
Add the sambar onions and fry them to golden brown.
Add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry them until the tomatoes are mashed and the oil floats on the surface.
Add the mint leaves and fry for a few seconds.
Pour the tamarind juice with enough salt, 2 cups of water and the cooked dal.
When the rasam starts to boil, add the fried powder.
Mix well.
Again when the rasam starts to boil, put off the fire.
The tasty rasam is ready now!

Mrs.Mano
16th September 2011, 12:13 PM
There are so many varieties in making carrot rice. This rice has been prepared in pulao style. Any cutlet or fry varieties such as chicken cutlet, vegetable cutlet and potato fry is suitable as an accompaniment for this rice.

CARROT MASALA RICE

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vTlXI36ZmkE/TnLuIgFkD0I/AAAAAAAABQ4/KhVE_PLUI7I/s576/carrot%252520rice.JPG

காரட் புலவு சாதம்

Ingredients

Shredded carrot- 3 [medium size]
Cooked rice- 4 cups
Thinly sliced onion-1 cup
Finely chopped green chillies-4
Chopped Mint leaves- 3 tbsp
Chopped coriander-2 tbsp
Thinly sliced garlic- 4 [ big size]
Shredded ginger- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Oil- 1 tsp
Lime juice- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- half tsp

Coarsely ground the following ingredients:

Cardamom-1, fennel seeds- half sp, cinnamon- 1 piece, clove-1

Procedure:

Heat a kadai and pour the ghee and the oil.
Add the sliced onion with the green chillies, garlic, ginger and the powder.
Fry them on slow fire to golden brown.
Then add the carrot and the greens with enough salt and the turmeric powder.
Fry them until it is almost cooked.
Now add the rice with enough salt.
Mix well and cook on slow fire for a few minutes.
Put off the fire and pour the lime juice.
Mix well.
The delicious carrot masala rice is ready!

NB; 2 or 3 tbsp of shredded coconut can be added after putting off the fire.

cdj
18th September 2011, 07:30 PM
வணக்கம் மனோ மேடம்,
அருமையான இரு குறிப்புக்களுக்கு மிகவும் நன்றி. புதிதாக முழு நேர பள்ளி செல்லும் என் மகளுக்கு மதிய உணவு தயார் செய்வது குறித்து தலையை பிய்த்து கொண்டிருந்த வேலையில் தங்களின் காரட் சாதம் குறிப்பு பதிவு செய்தது மிக்க சந்தோஷத்தை அளித்தது. மேலும் மிக்க நன்றி.
cdj

dev
3rd October 2011, 08:32 PM
double posting...sry...

dev
3rd October 2011, 08:34 PM
This is a recipe that Mrs.Mano asked me to post on her behalf as she has some technical problems posting in the hub...

http://thumbp13-bf1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=2357149119&mid=ADbci2IAAIH%2FTogpDQmOS3HnP9c&midoffset=1_1972106&partid=3&f=1606&fid=Inbox&w=637&h=480&httperr=1

CURD RICE

தயிர் சாதம்

Many people will think that there is no need for a recipe to prepare the thayir sadham. Simply adding curd to the rice with salt, tempering, green chillies and ginger is ordinary curd rice. To make it delicious, there are a few secrets in it.
First of all, we must use pressure cooked raw rice. It gives more delicious taste than the kanji removed rice.

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 1 cup
Slightly sour Curd-3 tbsp
Fresh curd- 1 cup
Boiled milk-1 cup
Salt to taste
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Asafoetida- a pea size
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Chopped green chillies-1
Chopped ginger- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Pressure cook the rice with 2 1/2 cups of water in the previous night.
When slightly cooled, mash the rice slightly and then add the sour curd and the milk with enough salt.
Mix well.
Keep it covered overnight.
In the morning, add more curd and the tempering and mix well.
Add the curry leaves, ginger and the green chillies.
Keep it for a few hours outside and then the dish can be kept in the fridge for further use.
This way, you can get very delicious curd rice.

NB: some people add carrot pieces and pomegranate seeds. It can be colourful. But it will not enhance the taste. Chopped pieces of raw mango will enhance the taste.

dev
8th October 2011, 07:24 PM
Hi all, we r doing a blog( http://manosdelicacies.blogspot.com/ ) for Mrs.Mano's recipes in mayyam... This is to make searching through recipes easier as the current index of recipes here doesn't work... Hope this blog will be of use to you all...

NOV
9th October 2011, 08:53 AM
:clap: Great work Dev! :clap:

kugan98
10th October 2011, 10:24 AM
Hats off to you Dev. Many will benefit from your work.
I think we must give a title as Blog Queen.
Thanks and take care. Kugan98

ani
10th October 2011, 12:27 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I am rare participant in this forum. Have been here earlier few times.
I was last here almost a year back when I was pregnant and wanted some recipe

I now have a son who is one year old now. As I am working and have been unable to find any other option ,
I have started putting him in day care from last month.
I have to pack food for him for the whole day, atleast 3 good meals, breakfast, lunch and tiffenitem/snackld for evening.

Since he is growing up and getting aware of things, he is not eating the same mashed plain food that I give him.
So am planning to give him different foods everyday from now on. For which I am here.

I know how experienced you are.
I would need your guidance, suggestions ,tips and good recipes for my 1 year old son.

Expecting a positive response

Thanks,
Ani

Mrs.Mano
15th October 2011, 12:15 AM
Dear Ani!

Because of ill health, I could not post an earlier reply.

For one year old baby, you can give the following food varieties. If I can find more, I will again post them for you!!

1. Take a small cube of potato, 1 tsp of shredded carrot, a pea sized beetroot, 1 tsp of chopped keerai, a small piece of chow chow, a small garlic[ to wipe out the gas produced by the food], 1 tsp of green gram, 1 small beans, a small tomato, little coriander leaves and 2tbsp of raw rice or boiled rice in a bowl. Pressure cook them with enough water. Mash them finely with salt and fill in the feeding bottle. You can add the vegetables according to their availability. A very small piece of pumpkin can also be added. But always make it certain to add tomato, potato and carrot in various measurements. These will enhance the taste and the child will like it.

2. There are so many types of sathu maavu varieties. I think you know about it. You can find the recipes in this same mayyam. I think you can find it in an old thread of Kugans. Make the sathu maavu. Pour 1 ½ cups of milk in a pan and add 1 tsp of this powder with enough sugar. Boil well until the maavu is combined with the milk thoroughly and nicely cooked. Pour this in a feeding bottle and give it to the baby.

3. The food must be always warm.

4. Soak 1 tbsp of wheat in a cup of water overnight. In the morning grind the wheat well and squeeze out the milk from it. Boil the milk with jaggery. When it is thickened, put off the fire. It will be like loosened halwa. You can add a pinch of cardamom powder in it when you are cooking. Add few drops of ghee to it. This is a healthiest food for the child. A doctor prescribed this food.

5. Boil an apple and mash it with enough sugar. You can add small pieces of papaya and pear when mashing the fruit. This is a nutritious food for the child.

6. Pressure cook a small potato with a few frozen peas and a small piece of carrot. Mash it finely with a pinch of salt. This you can give twice a week.

cdj
21st October 2011, 07:48 PM
Vanakkam Mano Madam!
My son is 20 months old and he suddenly became picky in eating soon after he started going daycare. It was so disheartening to watch him loose weight and legs become very thin. Suddenly an idea blinked and I prepared your SEMOLINA RICE FLAKES PAAYASAM this morning the same way you have directed and added whole milk and jaggery just enough to taste sweet rather than bland. I was so happy when he had his breakfast the usual amount. I was also not guilty that am feeding him something sweet (like cereal/pancake w. maple syrup- Infact it tasted much less sweeter than HBO cereal, but better). As it has wheat, rice, protein(moong & milk), it was not hard to contend myself that its not only a good breakfast but also multigrained with protein & natural sweetener.[Enna Koduma sir idhu?-Ippadi thaan US-la vyabarram panranga!!]

Also I apologize if I have misused your recipe.

For Ani:
You can try this too as the final testure will be more like Kanji and u can add more aval to make it thick ot add more milk to make it thin. As your son is one year old, he should be able to eat this and smooth on his stomach.

cdj
21st October 2011, 09:41 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano!
Just had your Curd rice. It is nothing but delicious. Thank you for being such a provider. The raw mango pieces & the hot green chillies made a difference of heaven. I sent the same with just the tempering for my daughter's school lunch. Will update once I hear from her. I am avid eater, but this rice provides such a satisfaction that I dont want more, the taste still lingering and contentment. We are lucky to have you. Take care of your health.

No meal is exempt in our house from your recipes. Maybe someday, I would be able to teach my daughter how to cook your recipes by mind and soul , without refering the papers/asking the computer.

Thank you again.

Mrs.Mano
22nd October 2011, 10:21 AM
Dear Chithra!

I feel greatly honoured to have your wonderful feedback on curd rice as well as Semolina Aval payasam. New experiments and nice recipes may satisfy a cook's interest. But this kind of feed back only gives great satisfaction, happiness and enthusiasm to a cook's heart and soul. In this way, I heartily thank you very much for such a nice feedback!!! Awaiting for your daughter's approval!!

cdj
24th October 2011, 10:52 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Vanakkam.
Update on your curd rice:
On friday evening, when I asked her how was that, she replied 'it was good' and continued playing. This morning, she came up and asked if she is having The Curd Rice for lunch and I said no, she didnt say anything but kept quiet. [I am still laughing at her long face when I said no.] After sometime, she came back and asked if I can prepare that for tomorrow's lunch. I said certainly I will and her face was lit up and gave me a huge hug [- and that made me feel that I should've prepared it today].

Thank you again Mrs.Mano for enriching our lives.
Chitra

Mrs.Mano
25th October 2011, 12:24 AM
Dear Chithra!

Very beautifully you have conveyed your daughter’s feedback on my curd rice! Thanks a lot for that. Your daughter’s feedback reminds me one another feedback I always get.

In the native place, my sister’s son who is a mentally retarded boy always enjoys my food whenever he comes to eat at my home. He always praises me and urges my sister to learn that recipe. I always value his feedback as a beautiful one!

cdj
25th October 2011, 07:34 PM
Vanakkam Mrs.Mano.
How dumb of me. As a mother, I felt the most joy getting such a response from a smart, expressive accelerated learner.

But getting the same response from a differently abled person is something humoungous. Thats something to be treasured. Reading your reply, I felt myself a littled, at the sametime honored that you shared it.

You touch many lives.

dev
26th October 2011, 09:23 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano, Wish U a very happy Diwali...

Mrs.Mano
26th October 2011, 10:18 AM
I wish all the hubbers a very happy diwali!!

Mrs.Mano
26th October 2011, 10:19 AM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the warm greetings and I also wish you a very HAPPY DIWALI!!

cdj
26th October 2011, 06:18 PM
Happy Diwali Mrs.Mano!

Mrs.Mano
31st October 2011, 11:30 AM
Dear Chithra!

Thanks a lot for the diwali greetings as well as a fantastic reply!

Mrs.Mano
31st October 2011, 11:47 AM
I am going to post a tasty porridge- that is Oats Kunji. Health wise, it is nutritious and good for people with ailments like Diabetes and Hypertension. This is a fine breakfast dish for elders and also good for one year old babies. We can add so many vegetables to our likings. But cauliflower, drumsticks, root vegetables like potato, yam and ladiesfinger are not suitable to add in this kunji. Carrot, peas, baby corn, tomatoes, a little raddish, a little palak, French beans and onions will enhance the taste.

OATS VEGETABLE PORIDGE:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_6otWh3RWIA/Tq466DMWHFI/AAAAAAAABR4/2shdC_LbiQ4/s576/oats%252520kunji-1.JPG

ஓட்ஸ் காய்கறி கஞ்சி

Ingredients:

Oats- 4 to 5 tbsp
Finely chopped Tomato-1
Finely chopped onion-half
Small garlic flakes-5
Finely Shredded ginger-a pinch
Finely chopped coriander- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 tsp
Fennel seeds or cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp

Procedure:

Add the fennel or cumin seeds and when they splutter, add the onion with the other vegetables and fry nicely until they are well cooked and the oil floats on top.
Pour 5 cups of water with enough salt.
Immediately add the oats.
Mix well and let it boil for a few minutes until the oats are cooked.
The delicious oats kunji is ready now!

Variations:

If fennel seeds are used, a few mint leaves can be added when frying the vegetables. It will give a delicious touch. 1 or 2 teaspoons of Shredded coconut can be added in the end. 2 tbsps of coconut milk can be added in the end to give an extra taste. But it is not good for elderly people. Instead of vegetables, cooked chicken pieces can be added along with onion, tomato, garlic, mint and ginger.

ani
1st November 2011, 10:05 AM
Dear Ani!

Because of ill health, I could not post an earlier reply.

For one year old baby, you can give the following food varieties. If I can find more, I will again post them for you!!

1. Take a small cube of potato, 1 tsp of shredded carrot, a pea sized beetroot, 1 tsp of chopped keerai, a small piece of chow chow, a small garlic[ to wipe out the gas produced by the food], 1 tsp of green gram, 1 small beans, a small tomato, little coriander leaves and 2tbsp of raw rice or boiled rice in a bowl. Pressure cook them with enough water. Mash them finely with salt and fill in the feeding bottle. You can add the vegetables according to their availability. A very small piece of pumpkin can also be added. But always make it certain to add tomato, potato and carrot in various measurements. These will enhance the taste and the child will like it.

2. There are so many types of sathu maavu varieties. I think you know about it. You can find the recipes in this same mayyam. I think you can find it in an old thread of Kugans. Make the sathu maavu. Pour 1 ½ cups of milk in a pan and add 1 tsp of this powder with enough sugar. Boil well until the maavu is combined with the milk thoroughly and nicely cooked. Pour this in a feeding bottle and give it to the baby.

3. The food must be always warm.

4. Soak 1 tbsp of wheat in a cup of water overnight. In the morning grind the wheat well and squeeze out the milk from it. Boil the milk with jaggery. When it is thickened, put off the fire. It will be like loosened halwa. You can add a pinch of cardamom powder in it when you are cooking. Add few drops of ghee to it. This is a healthiest food for the child. A doctor prescribed this food.

5. Boil an apple and mash it with enough sugar. You can add small pieces of papaya and pear when mashing the fruit. This is a nutritious food for the child.

6. Pressure cook a small potato with a few frozen peas and a small piece of carrot. Mash it finely with a pinch of salt. This you can give twice a week.

Thank you very much Mano mam...I am glad I get such beautiful and valuable responses even though I come here very rarely..I am missing a lot by not being able to be here on a regular basis. I will try these and get back to you. I did try that wheat recipe once, but without jaggery. so i should try this also next time. I give him dal rice with beans,peas and carrot mostly. So will try out this one.

Today is a holiday in bangalore..planning to try out some simple recipe from this thread if possible.

thanks u once again for the lovely response.

ani
1st November 2011, 10:11 AM
Hi all, we r doing a blog( http://manosdelicacies.blogspot.com/ ) for Mrs.Mano's recipes in mayyam... This is to make searching through recipes easier as the current index of recipes here doesn't work... Hope this blog will be of use to you all...

Thats so nice of you dev...this is highly useful for people like me who come here rarely.
Its so easy to go through the list of recipes also due to their classifications.

thank u dev

suvai
15th November 2011, 09:44 AM
Hello nga mrs mano...:-)
hope all is well......romba naal aachi naan hub pakkam vanthu.....i sure have missed out a lot of the recipes posted.....will surely go through them methuva.
Dev.....thank u too....for the setting up of the blog.....it will surely help a lot of us.
:-)

cdj
17th November 2011, 12:23 AM
Vanakkam Mrs.Mano:
I tried your Malabar Kozhi kumzhambu with soya balls and they turned out fantastic. i made it for the third time last week and served wit your ghee rice. Thank you so much.

Suvai: You can try that too.

suvai
18th November 2011, 02:04 AM
hi cdj...:-)

thank u for giving me a tip to try with soya the same recipe......will surely give it a try & let u & mrs mano know.
curd rice recipe is another that i have to try.....
sooo manyyyy recipesss & sooo little time.........:-)

Mrs.Mano
18th November 2011, 10:50 PM
சீரக ரசம்

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-uY_V__a4V-U/TsaR8zQ4a5I/AAAAAAAABSU/vYRM70pzk-I/s800/CIMG5143.JPG

This jeeraka rasam is simply delicious even with little ingredients. When I prepare this rasam, nobody in the home like to have any other kuzambu variety. Any kind of poriyal and vathals and cutlet varieties are suitable accompaniment for this rasam. Hot rice, ghee, jeeraka rasam and any kind of poriyal are the suitable combination of meal for lunch.

INGREDIENTS:

Ripe tomatoes-4 to 5
Cumin seeds- half sp
Curry leaves- 2 springs
Red chilli-1
Salt to taste
Asafoetida- a small piece
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Tuar dal- 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Gingelly oil- 3 tsp

PROCEDURE:

Soak the tuar dal in a small cup of water for half an hour.
Soak the tamarind in a cup of hot water for an hour.
Grind the dal with the tomatoes, curry leaves, red chilli and the cumin seeds coarsely.
Pour the tamarind extract to the tomato mixture.
With the tomato mixture and the tamarind extract, it should be 5 to 6 cups.
The mixture should not be thick.
The consistency must be like any rasam.
Add enough salt and turmeric powder.
Heat a pan and pour the gingelly oil.
Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the asafoetida piece.
When it is fried to golden brown, pour the rasam.
Allow it to boil for 3 minutes.
The tasty rasam is ready to serve now!!

Mrs.Mano
18th November 2011, 10:52 PM
Dear Chithra!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'malabar kozhi kuzambu'!!

Mrs.Mano
18th November 2011, 10:54 PM
Dear Suvai!

Welcome back!

I am happy to see you here after a long time! Hope you will be coming often here as usual!

dev
19th November 2011, 07:50 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, we make jeeraka rasam on similar lines except that we don't add tomatoes... will try ur version next time... :)

suvai
23rd November 2011, 03:05 AM
Hello nga mrs mano...........tried your mint rasam......A1....came out well & intha kulir ku superrrrr ah irunthichi.....thanks to your kai vannam once again nga.!

sinrultz
4th December 2011, 02:19 AM
Cummin soup is a favorite of my family as well.ungha recipe dhan use panuven.
Ma'am could you post milagu soup recipe suitable for cold remedy?

dev
9th December 2011, 12:10 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano, I made the jeeraka rasam yday n it was delicious... thanks a lot for the recipe...:)

Mrs.Mano
13th December 2011, 09:26 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on mint rasam!!

Mrs.Mano
13th December 2011, 09:28 PM
Dear Dev!

Thank you very much for the warm feedback on Jeeraka rasam!

Mrs.Mano
13th December 2011, 10:01 PM
Dear Sinrultz!

Thank you very much for the nice compliment on my Jeeraka rasam.

Here is the recipe for milaku rasam

MILAGU RASAM [PEPPER RASAM]

மிளகு ரசம்

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NeFGVxHFJV8/TudABf5tB9I/AAAAAAAABS0/5bN2-zvw07E/s576/CIMG5364.JPG

Ingredients:

Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Peppercorns- 1 1/2 tsp
Tamarind- a small lime size
Small ripe tomato-1
Turmeric powder- half sp
Asafoetida- a pea size
Small garlic flakes-5
Salt to taste
Curry leaves- a few
Chopped coriander- 1 tbsp
Slit green chilli-1
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Gingelly oil- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in hot water for an hour and extract its juice.
Add enough water to make it 4 cups
Mash the tomatoes and add it to the tamarind water with turmeric powder, asafoetida, green chilli, greens and the salt.
Chop the garlic and add it to the tamarind mixture.
Grind the pepper and the cumin seeds coarsely and add them to the tamarind water.
When it becomes hot, add the mustard seedsa.
When they splutter, pour the tamarind mixture.
Let it boil for 2 minutes.
The delicious milagu rasam is ready now!!

suvai
25th December 2011, 07:10 PM
Hello nga mrs mano!!
Hope all is well.......:-) onga milagu rasam is similar to what i make too....but gingely oil use panninathu kidaiyaathu....will surely try with it.....& let u know.....ohhh ya onga mint rasam/ sambar sadam....is made very often by me......onga vegetarian recipes are keepers ;-)

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!!

luz
26th December 2011, 04:41 AM
hello mrs mano, i'm a long time follower of ur recipes. Recently i had misplaced your recepies .so lost some of ur best . tried looking for rasam powder through the links and it fails to show up . Can you kindly give it one more time. Pleaseeeee.
thanks ,
latha.

suvai
26th December 2011, 10:11 AM
hello luz.....here it is mrs mano's rasam powder enjoy! I am copy pasting it for u...

Hello arrecipes!

I have already posted the recipe for sambar podi. You can fry the spices including the fenugreek seeds light before grinding them. There is no need to fry them to golden brown colour.

Here is the recipe for RASAM POWDER.

RASAM POWDER:

Ingredients:

Coriander seeds- 2 tbsps
Lentils- 2 tbsps
Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
Peppercorns- 1 tbsp
Curry leaves- ¼ cup
Red chillies- 10
Ghee- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Fry all the ingredients in the ghee to a golden brown colour and then powder them little coarsely.

luz
26th December 2011, 10:08 PM
hi suvai,
thanks a million for ur prompt and quick reply. yeah got it!!
luz.

suvai
31st December 2011, 07:47 AM
u r welcome luz..:-)

Hello nga mrs mano.....:-)
I take this to wish you & your family a Wonderfullllll New Year!!!
May 2012 bring in more joy & good health!!

I also wish mrs mano's friends on here a Very Happy New Year!!!

Mrs.Mano
31st December 2011, 11:26 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for your nice wishes. I wish you a very Happy new year with all the happiness in the world!!
And again thanks a lot for the warm feedback on my sambar sadham and mint rasam as well as giving the rasa podi recipe for Luz!!

Mrs.Mano
31st December 2011, 11:27 PM
i wsh all my friends here a very happy and prosperous new year!!!

Mrs.Mano
15th January 2012, 12:10 AM
அனைவருக்கும் எனது இனிய பொங்கல் வாழ்த்துக்கள்!!!

suvai
15th January 2012, 08:11 AM
Hello nga mrs mano............:-) Happy Pongalo o o o Pongalllllll!!

inga naalaiki thaan kitchen la oru kalaku kalakanum nu neenaichikitu iruken...:noteeth:

I take this to wish Happy Pongal to all here on Mrs mano's thread!...:-)

NOV
15th January 2012, 09:11 AM
Thank you Mrs Mano and same to you and your loved ones!

sangii77
21st January 2012, 01:59 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano, I've been an avid fan of your recipes but lost my collection. Could you send ur recipe collection to my email sangii77@gmail.com or let me know where I can download it from. I also follow ur blog, great recipes as always. TIA.

Mrs.Mano
7th February 2012, 08:10 PM
Dear Suvai!

I regret for my delayed reply. I went to Thanjavur after Pongal and returned back only a few days back.
Any way, thanks a lot for the beloved Pongal Greetings!!!
Hope you would have celebrated it in a grand manner.

Mrs.Mano
7th February 2012, 08:11 PM
Dear brother Nov!

Thank you very much for your warm Pongal Greetings!!

Mrs.Mano
7th February 2012, 08:15 PM
Dear Sangii77!!

Thanks a lot for the warm appreciation. You can view my recipes of Forumhub in the follwoing link. Mrs.Devasena and Mrs.Chithra are patiently updating my recipes here !!
http://manosdelicacies.blogspot.com/

Mrs.Mano
7th February 2012, 09:14 PM
I am posting here a recipe of Idli podi using horse gram. It tastes better than the usual idli podi. Adding a few spoons of horse gram in any recipe of every day’s cooking is a healthy way to live!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wLhymTMuWn0/TzFDVSCmWjI/AAAAAAAABTM/javOT-pNhbQ/s800/P1260170.JPG

IDLI PODI

Ingredients:

Horse gram- ¼ cup
Split Black gram with skin- ¼ cup
Bengal gram- ½ cup
Raw rice- 1 tsp
Small garlic flakes with skin- 2 tbsp
White sesame seeds- 2 tsp
Asafetida- a small piece
Red chillies- 1 ½ cup
Curry leaves- a handful
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 tsp

Procedure:

In a tsp of oil, fry the asafetida first to golden brown.
After taking it away, fry all the ingredients except the red chillies to golden brown.
At the last stage, add the red chillies in it and fry for a few minutes.
When cooled, grind all the ingredients with salt to a coarse powder.
Then add the asafetida and grind again until it is powdered along with all the ingredients.
This is a divine accompaniment especially for hot idlies!!

suvai
13th February 2012, 06:00 AM
Hello nga mrs mano.............thank u for yr wishes.....hmmm ingeyum pongal anniki...sooriya bhagawan nalla suleernu kaatchi thanthutaar in the morning....made ven & chakarai pongal as usual..glad that u were able to spend pongal in india....athu ennaa sollunga oru viseysham na namma ooru pola varungala.:noteeth:

selvieam
16th February 2012, 08:58 PM
aunty,
made idli podi today, came out very nicely. colour also came same like urs.
thanks for sharing the receipe.
selvi

suvai
18th February 2012, 08:14 PM
hello nga mrs mano....:-)

onga idly podi vithyaasamaa iruku....try pannaren....horse gram (kollu nu neenaikaren) indian store ponaa thaan vaanganum...but will surely try it & let u know.

sinrultz
20th February 2012, 04:11 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Recently I have been getting a lot of "Vendhaya Keerai" is my local ethnic grocery and would like to try dosa out of it.
Could you post a recipe to make "Vendhaya Keerai Dosa" at your convenience?

Mrs.Mano
27th February 2012, 02:31 PM
Dear Selvi!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on idli podi.

Mrs.Mano
27th February 2012, 10:58 PM
Dear Sinrultz!

I will soon post the recipe for ' Fenugreek leaves dosa'!!.

Mrs.Mano
29th February 2012, 11:31 AM
Usually chicken kola is prepared with lots of coconut and spices in some places of Tamilnadu. Some use more Bengal gram or gram dal. Some people use raw chicken for this kola. The recipe I am posting here consists mild spices only. This is a favourite dish for lunch. It goes well as an accompaniment for hot chichen kuzhambu, mutton kuzhambu and sambar. Also it suits well with a mild type of pulao variety.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Bd_f8BwNgjI/T02-d5FygGI/AAAAAAAABT8/_Fm0BN6-JuI/s800/P2170302.JPG

CHICKEN KOLA:

Ingredients:

Chopped chicken pieces- 3 cups
Onion-2 [sliced]
Green chillies-5
Red chillies-2
Ginger- 1 tsp
Small garlic flakes-10
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Cinnamon- 1” piece
Cardamom-1
Cloves-2
Gram dal- 1 tbsp
Corn flour- 1 tbsp
Bread slices-2
Curry leaves-1 arc
Mint leaves-10
Chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Small tomato-1 [chopped]
Peppercorn- ½ tsp
Shredded coconut- 1 tbsp
Enough oil to fry and use
Turmeric powder- half sp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour 2 tbsp of oil.
Add the spices and when they start to splutter, add the onion pieces and fry them well.
Then add the chopped tomato, green chillies, garlic, turmeric powder, red chillies, ginger, coconut and the greens.
Fry them well.
Add the chicken pieces and cook on slow fire with salt until all the water is evaporated from it.
When cooled, grind the chicken coarsely.
Powder the gram dal.
Put the bread slices in a mixi and switch on for I second to make fine breadcrumbs.
Add these and the corn flour to the chicken mixture and mix well.
Make small balls and fry them in hot oil on medium fire to golden brown.
Delicious kolas are ready now!!

sangii77
4th March 2012, 06:10 AM
Dear Sangii77!!

Thanks a lot for the warm appreciation. You can view my recipes of Forumhub in the follwoing link. Mrs.Devasena and Mrs.Chithra are patiently updating my recipes here !!

Thanks Mrs. Mano

suvai
5th March 2012, 12:29 AM
hellp nga mrs mano....:-) nalama?

onga idly podi try pannitennnn.....superrrrrrrrr taste.......virunthu saapida vanthavanga....ziplock ley pottu eduthu ponaanga na paarungalen :noteeth:
that tells you that i have to make another batch now..;-)
thank u for another recipe for keeps nga......

bkarthika
8th March 2012, 10:23 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I WISH U A VERY HAPPY HOLI & WOMEN'S DAY !!!!!

Mrs.Mano
11th March 2012, 10:30 AM
Dear Sinrulz!!

Here is the recipe for fenugreek leaves dosa for you! This is my new innovation for you. I regret for the delay in posting this recipe. Really I have to wait for fresh greenish venthayakeerai for this recipe. There are many variations in preparing this dosa. Mostly this fenugreek leaves is added directly in the dosa or adai batter without being cooked. But this method would give a very different taste as it is cooked with other spices. Hope you will try soon. The fenugreek paste can be used as a thuvaiyal. This is also can be mixed with hot cooked rice and ghee and could be served as ‘ venthaya keerai sadham!’.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DcOMOb8bmU4/T1wwOiYyaCI/AAAAAAAABUg/vLt6m_6vZ18/s800/P3100305.JPG

FENUGREEK LEAVES DOSAI: [VENTHAYAKEERAI DOSAI]

Ingredients needed:

dosa batter- 3 cups
For the paste:
Fenugreeks- 2 cups
Small onions-8
Ripe big tomato-1
Red chillies- 7
Tamarind- a small gooseberry size
Black gram- 1 tbsp
Bengal gram- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil-2 tbsp

Procedure:

Add the grams and the red chillies and fry them to golden brown.
Take them away.
In the same oil fry the onion first to golden brown.
Then add the tomato and the fenugreek leaves.
Fry them until the tomato is well cooked.
When cooled, first grind the grams and the red chillies with the tamarind to a fine paste.
Then add the tomato, onion and fenugreek leaves and grind them coarsely.
Mix this with the dosa batter smoothly.
Now you can cook the spicy fenugreek dosai on both sides to golden brown!!

Mrs.Mano
11th March 2012, 10:36 AM
Dear Suvai!!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback! This kind of feedback really gives me the energy and interest to try more and more new recipes always!

Mrs.Mano
11th March 2012, 10:38 AM
Dear karthika!

I really must thank you for your loving wishes!! Accept my belated wishes for the same!!

suvai
15th March 2012, 08:08 AM
hello nga mrs mano....:-) onga venthaya keerai dosa is absolutely very differenttttt....intha maathri kelvi patathey illai for a dosai varaiety.
Inga we have started getting vendhaya keerai already.....so kandipa pannitu solren ongaluku the outcome.
oru kelvi...when u say fenugreek 2 cups.....i am sure you mean the leaves ileengala???
fantastic idea of thogayal & also mixing it with rice nga mrs mano..;-)
All recipes that I have tried so far of yours are all keepers thank you nga for your tireless efforts.

sinrultz
18th March 2012, 11:21 PM
thank you very much ma'am.
that was absolutely sweet of you for trying it out before posting the recipe, can't thank you enough for giving the best for us very single time.

suvai
14th April 2012, 07:33 PM
Hello nga mrs mano...............Iniya Puthaandu Vaazhthukul to you as well as members of this thread..........:-)

Mrs.Mano
24th April 2012, 11:37 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the greetings. As I was not well for the past 20 days, I could not reply to you immediately.

Mrs.Mano
24th April 2012, 11:44 PM
LIMA BEANS SNAKE GOURD KOOTTU:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JY-3-QgIO4w/T5boYl_kktI/AAAAAAAABVQ/nXxvgNJBuNo/s800/CIMG4581.JPG

This is a traditional koottu in Tamilnadu. In the month of January we can get fresh and young lima beans in the market. These lima beans are very tasty They enhance the taste of the usual sambar varieties. They can be even added in non-veg curries.

Ingredients:

Lima beans- 100gms
Chopped snake gourd- 1 cup
Split green gram- ¼ cup
Chopped tomato- half cup
Chopped onion- ½
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chopped coriander- ¼ cup
Cumin seeds- ¼ sp
Chilli powder- ¼ sp
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 tbsp

Grind the following o a fine paste:

Shredded coconut- ¼ cup, cumin seeds- ¼ sp, peppercorn-1/4 tsp

Procedure:

Add the cumin seeds and when they splutter add the onions.
Fry them well and then add the tomato with the turmeric powder and the coriander leaves.
Fry until the tomato is cooked well.
Add the vegetables with the salt as well as the chilli powder.
When the vegetables are almost cooked, add the ground paste and mix well.
After the vegetables are fully cooked in the coconut gravy, put off the fire.
The tasty kootu is ready now to serve!!

suvai
27th May 2012, 07:23 PM
vanakam nga mrs mano.........hope all is well....:-)

I will surely try this kootu with lima beans...coz enaku pudalangai kidaikarthu kashtam...;-)

Mrs.Mano
30th May 2012, 02:09 PM
Dear Suvai!

After a long time, I am seeing you here! Hope all is well with you!
About this koottu, you van add ridge gourd, palakkottai or avaraikkai instead of snake gourd.

Mrs.Mano
31st May 2012, 12:38 AM
JOWAR IDLI

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DKe3Wa3T72Q/T8Zur5QLSBI/AAAAAAAABVo/_0crPatNiLg/s912/P3110313.JPG

Ingredients:

Jowar - 1 cup,
Par boiled rice ( idli rice) - 1 cup
Urad dhal - 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds-1 tsp
Salt

Preparation:

Mix jowar, rice & urad dal & wash well.
Soak in enough water for 6-8 hrs.
Grind to a fine batter adding enough water as we do for usual idlies.
Steam hot idlies in the morning!
Add salt & ferment the batter for 10 hrs .
Soft dosais also can be prepared with this idli batter with minimum oil.
It is best not to make it very thin.

sinrultz
2nd June 2012, 05:05 AM
Mrs Mano ma'am,

Can we make soup with crab meat only? can you give me directions on how to do it?

suvai
26th June 2012, 03:22 AM
Hello nga mrs mano............:-) hope all is well!!

Jowar idli......padathila paarka romba soft ah vanthu irukey!!!.....will have to get hold of the jowar..... for sure to try this out.......is it okay to add jowar flour instead??? athoda measurement um same one cup thaanungala or would it vary??? will surely try this out once i get hold of the jowar...:-)

Also thank u for suggesting other vegies instead of podalangai for the kootu nga mrs mano....:-)

All is well here too nga mrs mano.....konjam busy athaan absent from the hub :noteeth:

suvai
26th June 2012, 03:23 AM
jowar kooda pottu irukara chutney regular tomato chutney ngala ?

Mrs.Mano
21st July 2012, 09:57 AM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks for the nice feedbacks! I have not yet tried the jowar idli with jowar flour.
yes, this type of jowar idli is very soft and tasty! The side dish is the usual kaara chutney!
I was in Tamilnadu for the past 60 days. Hence I could not post here the usual recipes!

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2012, 12:00 PM
Dear Sinrultz!

I regret for the delay in giving you the recipe for crab soup. I was in Tamilnadu for the past 60 days on some important works. That was why I could not post the recipe. Here is the recipe. We can prepare the soup with the legs of the crab which have some meat in it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vkfpfY8lafs/UAuZyl5D9-I/AAAAAAAABWQ/knUTVFNoVIM/s500/crab%2520soup.jpg

CRAB SOUP

Ingredients:

Crab’s legs-6 [ slightly crushed]
Small onions- half cup [finely chopped]
Tomato chopped- 1 cup
Slit Green chillies-2
Chopped coriander- 3 tbsp
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Juice of Small lime-1
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp

Fry the following ingredients in a few drops of oil to golden brown and crush them coarsely:

Red chillies[de-seeded]-2, peppercorns- 1 1/2 sp, fennel seeds- 1 tsp, cumin seeds- half sp

Procedure:

Add the onions with the ginger garlic paste and fry well.
Then add the tomatoes with the greens, green chillies and the turmeric powder.
Cook them until the tomatoes are mashed finely and the oil floats on top.
Pour 5 to 7 cups of water and drop the leg pieces in it with enough salt.
Let the soup simmer for some time until the legs are cooked.
Then sprinkle the fried powder and mix well.
When the soup again starts to simmer, put off the fire.
Pour the lime juice and mix well.
The delicious crab soup is ready now!!

Variations:

Extract of a lime-sized tamarind can be used instead of lime juice. For that, tamarind extract with the water must be cooked with the crab’s legs.
One or two pieces of crab’s fleshy parts can be added.
The legs I have mentioned here are the big ones. Some of small legs are also can be added.

NB: Picture from Google's search.

nithishri
5th August 2012, 06:09 AM
Mrs Mano crab soup is so awesome. Thank you so much Mrs Mano. Very nice

sinrultz
15th August 2012, 08:37 AM
Supero Supero Crab soup. tried it with ready made crab meat and the family devoured it.yet another gem from your collection

FernGraebn
7th September 2012, 01:49 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

I've been silent reader of this thread before marriage. I've gotten married recently and i'm trying most of my recipes from your threads. We love having the curd doing by your method (adding curry leaf). Can you please send me recipe for mixture snack?

Also i have seen in older threads that your recipe document in circulation. Can someone please send me mrs mano's recipe collection.

thanks.

Mrs.Mano
11th September 2012, 02:08 PM
Dear Nithishri!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on my crab soup!

Mrs.Mano
11th September 2012, 02:09 PM
Dear Sinrulz!

Thank you very much for the nice compliment on my crab soup!

Madhu Sree
11th September 2012, 04:35 PM
Hi Mano, recentaa endha recipesum podaliye... busyo?

Mrs.Mano
11th September 2012, 04:45 PM
Dear Priyasri!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback! Here is the recipe for ‘Mixture’. You can view my recipes of forum hub in the following link.
Other than these, you can view my recipes in my blog;
http://manoskitchen.blogspot.com/
here I am posting the recipe of MIXTURE for you!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ae8gcp_8FlA/UE8aHzYwFDI/AAAAAAAABW4/IjzV9DTnxmU/s912/P9101938.JPG

மிக்ஸர்:

Ingredients needed:

Bengal gram- 50 gm
Dry peas- 50 gms
Whole green gram- 50 gm
Curry leaves-a handful
Cashew nuts- 50 gms
Peanuts- 50 gm
Rice flakes- 50 gms
Gram dal- 50 gm
Cornflakes- 1 cup
Rice flour- 4 cups
Gram flour-2 cups
Salt to taste
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Hing powder- half sp
Butter- 1 tbsp
Red chillies-5
Asafetida- a small piece
Enough oil to deep fry

Procedure:

Soak the dry peas, whole green gram and chick peas for 12 hours in lots of water.
Soak the Bengal gram for an hour.
Drain the water and let them dry completely on a clean cloth in a cool place.
Mix the gram flour, rice flour, salt, chilli powder and butter with enough water to make smooth dough.
Divide the dough in to three portions.
With one portion, prepare omappodi with the omappodi mould loaded in a murukku press.
With the second portion, prepare kaaraaboonthi with the kaaraaboondhi mould loaded in the murukku press.
With the third portion, prepare ribbon pakoda with the ribbon pakoda mould loaded in the murukku press.
In a small pan, pour a few drops of oil and fry the asafoedita piece separately to golden brown and take it away.
In the same oil, fry the red chillies with a few curry leaves slightly and take them away.
When cooled, powder them coarsely.
In the same pan, fry the gram dal slightly and take them away.
Heat a big pan and pour enough oil to deep fry.
Fry all the green gram, chick peas and peas little by little to crisp and take them away.
Drain the extra oil by keeping them on a paper kitchen towel.
Next, fry the cashew, peanut, corn flakes and the rice flakes and immediately take them away and keep them on the kitchen towel.
Fry the curry leaves in the hot oil and let them dry in the paper towel.
Crush the omappodi and the ribbon pakoda in to small pieces.
Place every thing in a big plate.
Sprinkle the powder with a little salt on it.
Mix well and serve.

FernGraebn
12th September 2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks Mrs.Mano...I did omapodi alone from a older recipe of yours.. and it came out well.. aana konjam enna kudicha madri irunduchu.. what may have gone wrong madam.. I will try mixture and let you know..

Mrs.Mano
12th September 2012, 10:51 AM
Dear Priyasri!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on omappodi. The fire might be low and it should have caused the omappodi oily. Otherwise if we add more butter in the dough, it will be oily.

Thattai
24th September 2012, 09:07 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Hope that you are doing well. It has been a long time since I last wrote on this thread. This was due to the fact that we moved from India to the US, and it has taken us a while to settle down:)

But I have been visiting your blogs to look up old favourite items, but haven't tried any new recipes... Yet! But this Ganesh Chaturthi, I followed you method for the coconut and til pooranams, as well as making the flour. Needless to say, both pooranams were really tasty, and much appreciated by all. The atta was also very easy to knead and shape. The only issue I had was that the kozhakattais became a bit hard within a few minutes of being steamed. I was wondering what I needed to do to fix that.

I would really appreciate your inputs, and looking forward to trying a few new recipes soon:)

Thanks,
Thattai

PS: I made your coconut curry leaves chutney, and it was a BIG hit with my daughter, she was practically lapping up the chutney! So tx again for the yum recipe!

Mrs.Mano
3rd October 2012, 09:25 AM
Dear Thattai!

Hope you would have settled in US.

Thanks a lot for the feedback on coconut curry leaves chutney! Your daughter's feedback is very precious to me always!
Regarding kuzukkattai, maavu pacharisi is always available in the shops. That is very good for making kozukkattai. soak it for an hour, drain the water completely and dry it on a white cloth in a shady place for some time to remove the extra wetness. Then pound it to a fine powder. Steam it for 10 minutes in a cloth tightly tied. when cooled sieve it twice. Your kozukkattai maavu is ready now. This you can keep in storage for at least two years!! when preparing kozukkattai, knead the flour smoothly with hot water and salt. In this way, the kozukkattai will be always soft!! Hope this tip would be helpful!!

Dear Mrs. Mano,

Hope that you are doing well. It has been a long time since I last wrote on this thread. This was due to the fact that we moved from India to the US, and it has taken us a while to settle down:)

But I have been visiting your blogs to look up old favourite items, but haven't tried any new recipes... Yet! But this Ganesh Chaturthi, I followed you method for the coconut and til pooranams, as well as making the flour. Needless to say, both pooranams were really tasty, and much appreciated by all. The atta was also very easy to knead and shape. The only issue I had was that the kozhakattais became a bit hard within a few minutes of being steamed. I was wondering what I needed to do to fix that.

I would really appreciate your inputs, and looking forward to trying a few new recipes soon:)

Thanks,
Thattai

PS: I made your coconut curry leaves chutney, and it was a BIG hit with my daughter, she was practically lapping up the chutney! So tx again for the yum recipe!

Thattai
6th October 2012, 11:05 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thanks for the feedback on the maavu. Actually, I made it by the same method, but in spite of that I found that the prepared kuzhakattais turned hardish within minutes of being made. I used boiling water, should I have just used hot water instead? Would that have been better?

Thanks,

Preeti

suvai
8th October 2012, 06:49 PM
Hello nga mrs mano..hope all is well..:-)

onga kootu with mochai was a super hit....but i tried it with bottle gourd....abharamaana taste nga thank u for another good recipe...:-)

nithishri
10th October 2012, 09:38 AM
Dear Nithishri!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on my crab soup!

Mrs Mano, I should thankk you even more :)
After seeing your Carb soup recipe, I developed interest in Crab and tried making varities in Crab and got praises from my family members including Paatima.

Thattai
15th October 2012, 08:07 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I made the tomato egg drop soup today. It was very easy to make and quite delicious:) thanks for posting it.

Preeti

PS: I wanted to let you know that the remaining kozhakattai atta had fungus in it when I wanted to make another batch. So please tell me what I could have done wrong. Thanks!

gulabjamun
15th October 2012, 05:29 PM

Can anyone show me the page to find this coconut curry leaves chutney?
Thanks.

Thattai
15th October 2012, 10:32 PM
Hi gulabjamun,

This is the recipe that I followed:
COCONUT CHUTNEY-III
In 1tbsp oil, fry 1sps black grams, 1tbsp Bengal gram, 2 spring curry leaves, 6 green chillies and one handful of small onions nicely. THEN add ½ coconut[shredded] and fry for a few minutes. Grind them coarsely with salt and a marble size tamarind.

Hope this helps.

Thattai
16th October 2012, 06:01 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

I made the milagu rasam today, and it came out very well. I saw the recipe at the right time, as my daughter just started a round of cough and cold. She loved the soupy rasam rice! Thanks for the recipe.

Thattai

Mrs.Mano
27th October 2012, 09:25 AM
Dear preeti!

Forgive me for my belated reply. I was in India for the past 30 days and I just came back from there.

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on egg drop soup!
Regarding kozukkattai maavu, the hardness might be caused due to the quality of the rice. But since you have also said that the remaining kozukkattai maavu had fungus later, I think that the flour was not either steamed or fried enough. Actually well steamed flour can be kept in the store for more than 2 years. It will stay fresh even after that. Boiling water must be used to knead the kozukkattai. Just add salt, 1 tbsp of any oil and then pour enough boiling water to mix correctly to form a smooth dough. That is all. Hope this will help.

Mrs.Mano
27th October 2012, 09:27 AM
Dear Suvai!

How are you?
Thanks a lot for the nice compliment on mochai koottu!

Mrs.Mano
27th October 2012, 09:29 AM
Dear Nithishri!

Thank you very much for your nice feedback on crab soup!

Mrs.Mano
27th October 2012, 09:31 AM
Dear Gulabjamum!

Thanks a lot for your nice compliment on coconut curry leaves chutney! Convey my thanks to your daughter also!

Mrs.Mano
27th October 2012, 09:32 AM
Dear Thattai[Preeti]!

Thanks a lot for your lovely feedback on milagu rasam!

Thattai
30th October 2012, 02:44 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Tried the paruppu rasam as well. This has become the regular rasam in our house:) We all love it! Thanks for the recipe!

Mrs.Mano
13th November 2012, 10:54 PM
Dear Preeti!

Thanks a lot for the nice feed back on 'PARUPPU RASAM'!

Mrs.Mano
13th November 2012, 11:03 PM
Meen kuzambu is the most favourite dish for many people. It is true that the fish got from river or pond is tastier than the fish got from the sea. In our native place, viral meen is more expensive and has more delicious taste than all kinds of fishes. We will add pieces of raw mano especially ottu mangai or kili mookku maangkai in the kuzhambu! The tamarind must be fresh and new [புதுப்புளி]. Small onions and hot chilli powder will enhance the taste! Some people add ground coconut or coconut milk. But I do not prefer it as the coconut decreases the spicy taste. The oil must be only gingelly oil. Now it is time to go in to the kitchen.....!!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yWzKwLGDmio/UKKDua95hHI/AAAAAAAABY0/jIzULWYmymY/s800/P5290445.JPG

மீன் குழம்பு

Ingredients:

Fish peices-10
Tamarind- a big lime size
Chilli powder- 1 ¼ tbsp
Turmeric powder- half tsp
Coriander powder- 1 ½ tbsp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 3 tbsp+1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1 ½ tsp
Chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- a few
Raw mango pieces-4
Chopped small onion- 20
Finely chopped tomato- half cup

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of hot water and then extract its juice.
Heat a pan and pour 3 tbsp of oil.
When it becomes hot, add the fenugreek seeds.
When they become golden brown, add the onion with the greens.
Fry them to golden brown.
Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder.
Cook until the tomatoes are mashed finely and the oil floats on top.
Add the tamarind extract along with the powders and the salt.
When the kuzhambu starts simmering add the raw mango pieces.
When they are half-cooked, add the fish pieces carefully.
When the fishes are cooked and the gravy is slightly thickened to the desired consistency, reduce the fire in to low and cook for a few minutes.
Pour the remaining oil on top.
The mouth watering fish kuzhambu is ready now!!

suvai
23rd December 2012, 05:24 AM
Hello nga mrs mano....:-) epadi irukeenga.....hope all is well !!!

kamarcut (old )recipe iruntha podunga plz ...hope the recipe has coconut in it.....thank you nga in advance..take yr time nga no hurry at all....;-)

Mrs.Mano
1st January 2013, 06:54 PM
i wish all my friends here a very happy new year!!

Mrs.Mano
28th January 2013, 09:38 PM
Dear Suvai!

How are you?
Due to frequent travels and ill health I could not post immediately the recipe you have asked for. Here is the recipe of KAMARCUT for you!

KAMARCUT

Ingredients:

Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Powdered Jaggery- 2 cups
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Rice flour- 1 tbsp
Ghee- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the ghee.
Add the shredded cococnut and fry it on slow fire to golden brown.
Make syrup with Jaggery.
The syrup must be two thread consistency.
When the sugar syrup is crossing the one string consistency, cook further the syrup on slow fire.
The syrup will make small bubbles.
If a soft ball can be made with a drop of the sugar syrup, then that is the correct time to add the coconut and cardamom powder to it.
Mix well for a few seconds.
Sprinkle the rice powder and again mix well.
When slightly cooled, spread some ghee in the palm and make small balls with the coconut mixture.
The glossy Kamarkut is ready now!

Mrs.Mano
28th January 2013, 09:48 PM
This I have made on a rainy evening. I love Tapioca. I make tapioca adai, dosai and vdai frequently. But this innovation was loved by every body in my home.

TAPIOCA FRITTERS:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-75udNkyRM3k/UQaklPUH2DI/AAAAAAAABjM/OlTzsXsC8nQ/s912/PC072121.JPG

Ingredients:

Finely shredded tapioca- 3 cups
Idli batter- 1 cup
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder- half sp
Plain flour- half cup
Chopped onion-3
Curry leaves
Gram flour- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Sliced onion-2
Curry leaves and chopped coriander
Enough oil to fry

Procedure:

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
Add enough salt and water to make a thick mixture.
The fire should be medium high.
Scoop a tablespoon of mixture and drop it in the oil.
Fry it to golden brown.
Thus fry the fritters in batches to golden brown.
The delicious tapioca fritters are ready to serve now!

suvai
3rd February 2013, 07:55 AM
hello nga mrs mano...sorry to hear that u were not well......hope u have recovered fully....... thank u thank u for not forgetting to post this lovely kamarcut recipe....kandipa try pannitu sollaren.....syrup konjam kaala vaaari vidaama irukanum enaku....i always goof up with the consistency of the syrup....hopefully i wont with yr method..:noteeth:
thanks nga once again!

suvai
3rd February 2013, 07:56 AM
tapioca dosaiyaa? adaiyaa? podunga podunga inthe recipes um plzzzz...nga mrs mano!

thanks in advance ;-)

KPR
30th March 2013, 07:45 PM
Respected Mrs.Mano Madam,

Can you kindly let me know the difference between thalappakattu biryani and ambur biryani and How to prepare these both type of biriyani's.

Thank you.

KPR
1st April 2013, 01:46 AM
Respected Madam,
Can you kindly post the recipes for

Sambar is prepared with a sambar podi which have garlic flakes and a little tamarind in it.
and
The one is prepared with a ground paste of onion, tomato and a few garlic flakes is added when the onions and tomatoes are fried in the beginning stage.

I saw these types in one of your post, but was not able to find the recipe.

Thanks in advance.

Mrs.Mano
11th April 2013, 12:50 AM
Dear Suvai!

How are you? Have you tried the kamarcut recipe? I will soon post the recipe for Topioca Adai.

Mrs.Mano
11th April 2013, 12:57 AM
Dear KPR!!

I regret for the delayed response. I was in India and have not seen your query. Just now, I have seen all the queries.

Here I am posting the recipes of Ambur Briyani and Thalappaakattu Briyani. AMBUR BRIYANI has less spices where as THALAPPAKATTU BRIYANI is prepared with more spices and coconut milk.

Here are the recipes.

AMBUR BRIYANI

Ingredients:

5 cups briyani rice
1 kg mutton
oil – ¼ cup
ghee- ¼ cup
green chillies [slit]-10
garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Kshmir chilli powder- 2 tsp
Clove-2
Cinnamon [ 1 inch piece]- 2 pieces
Sliced onion- 4
Crushed tomato- 4 [ medium]
Curd – ¼ cup
Cardamom- 3
Mint and coriander leaves, each 1 cup
Lime – 1
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Wash and soak the rice in enough water.
Marinate the chicken pieces with the ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder and turmeric powder for an hour.
Heat a broad vessel and pour the oil and half of the ghee.
Add the cloves, cinnamon, and the cardamom.
Immediately add the onions and the green chillies.
Fry them well.
Add the tomatoes and fry them until it is mashed along with the onions and the oil floats on the surface.
Add the mutton with enough salt and cook on slow fire.
When the mutton is almost done, add the greens.
Cook for a few minutes.
Pour 10 cups of hot water.
Immediately add the rice.
When the rice is almost done, add enough salt and mix well.
When the water is evaporated fully, pour the lime juice and the remaining ghee.
Keep the briyani in ‘ dum’ for 15 minutes.

THALAPPAKATTU BRIYANI:

Ingredients:

Chicken - ½ kg
Briyani rice - 3 cups
Sliced Onion - 4
Chopped Tomato -3
Slit Green chilles - 7
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Cardamom, - 6
Cinnamon - 2
Cloves - 8
Fennel seeds- -1 tsp
Cashew nuts - 6
Shredded ginger - 2 tbsp
Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Curd - ¼ cup
Thick coconut milk - 1 cup
Lemon - 1
Oil - ¼ cup
Ghee - ¼ cup
Coriander and mint leaves, each a handful
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Grind the cashew nuts, fennel seeds and the ginger using the curd to a thick paste.
Marinate the mutton with this paste, the turmeric powder and the chilli powder for an hour.
Powder the cardamom, cinnamon and the cloves.
Wash and soak the rice in enough water.
Heat a broad vessel and pour the oil and half of ghee.
Add the onion and the green chillies and fry them well.
Add the tomatoes and fry them until it is mashed along with the onions and the oil floats on the surface.
Add the mutton with enough salt and cook on slow fire.
When the mutton is almost done, add the greens.
Cook for a few minutes.
When the gravy is thickened, take the gravy away in a separate bowl.
In the same vessel which we used for cooking the gravy, pour 5 cups of hot water and the coconut milk.
Immediately add the rice.
When the rice is almost done, add enough salt and mix well.
When the water is evaporated fully, spread the cooked mutton gravy evenly on top, sprinkle the powder, pour the lime juice and the remaining ghee.
Keep the briyani in ‘ dum’ for 15 minutes.

Mrs.Mano
11th April 2013, 12:58 AM
Dear KPR!!

I will post the recipe of sambar with garlic within a few days.

KPR
27th April 2013, 10:50 PM
Thank you for the recipes Madam.

suvai
23rd February 2014, 05:05 AM
hello hello nga mrs mano.....:-) nalla irukeengala? sorry i am come to this forum after a very long time.......but I have to say I did try out yr kamarcut & it turned really well....I added only 1 & 3/4th cup of jaggery..& the taste was exactly like I had tried at a friends place in india....thank u for another recipe this sure is a keeper for me :-)

Mrs.Mano
5th March 2014, 06:19 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for your nice feedback on my recipe, kAMARCUT!

Thanks for your kind enquiry!

NOV
5th March 2014, 07:46 PM
Nice to see you here again Mrs. Mano!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/q71/s720x720/1655982_1379368275670567_1881877603_n.jpg

Hemant Trivedi
6th March 2014, 01:08 AM
Haapy to see Mrs Mano back after an year.

Mrs.Mano
6th March 2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks a lot for the nice gesture NOV! The vegetable flowers are very beautiful! Will come back again with a nice recipe soon!

Mrs.Mano
6th March 2014, 10:24 PM
Thank you Mr.Trivedi! It is very pleasant to see you here often! My husband suffered a serious setback in his health condition last year and I have lost interest in every thing. Now he is ok and I am coming back in to the web world gradually.

Hemant Trivedi
6th March 2014, 11:41 PM
I am shocked to hear this Mrs. Mano. Hope he gets back his health soon.
Take your time. No hurry No worry.

chevy
6th March 2014, 11:53 PM
Sorry to know mrs. mano. Hope he recovers soon.

chevy
6th March 2014, 11:54 PM
pretty veggie art

NOV
7th March 2014, 04:07 AM
My husband suffered a serious setback in his health condition last year and I have lost interest in every thing. Now he is ok and I am coming back in to the web world gradually.I am sorry to hear about your situation. Thank god he is back to normal. God bless.

Mrs.Mano
8th March 2014, 10:09 PM
Thanks a lot for the concern Chevy. My husband is in normal health now.

Mrs.Mano
8th March 2014, 10:13 PM
Yes Nov. He is in good condition now and active. He has given up all the tension and we are in Tamilnadu [Thanjavur] now to give him a few months of rest before going back to Sharjah. Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Mrs.Mano
8th March 2014, 10:16 PM
Thank you very much for the kind words Mr.Trivedi!

suvai
9th March 2014, 06:21 AM
Dear mrs mano.........very happy to hear that your husband is now in better condition & is also active. Sometimes its very important that we slow down......my sincere wishes for him to feel better & better...have a safe trip back to the ME.
take care nga

uwitiusoj
11th March 2014, 08:25 AM
I will surely pray God for your husband mrs.mano. Thanks for coming back.

Mrs.Mano
12th March 2014, 03:17 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for your sincere wishes!

Mrs.Mano
12th March 2014, 03:20 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for your sincere wishes!

Mrs.Mano
12th March 2014, 03:24 PM
Thank you very much for your kind prayers Sangeetha!

Mrs.Mano
12th March 2014, 03:34 PM
This is the most famous sweet in Tamilnadu. In fact, this sweet is very old and traditional one. With just a few ingredients, we can make a very delicious dessert. In old days, raw rice was soaked in water, then it was dried on a wet cloth inside the house after having drained out all the water, then dried rice was pound to a fine powder, then the rice powder was sieved and steamed , again sieved after it had been cooled and stored for months. To prepare pal kozukkattai, a soft and glossy dough was prepared with this rice flour by adding hot water, little oil and enough salt to it. Then ladies in the house would make small balls and turn them like jasmine buds with their fingers. In boiling water, these rice buds were cooked and then jaggery powder, shredded coconut and cardamom powder were added. The result was a frothy golden coloured dessert! Thus pal kozukkattai was prepared in old days.

Even now, some people prepare like this taking all these trouble. Some people will add coconut milk in the end. some people are cooking rice buds in the milk instead of water. Nowadays, with an easy method, the pal kozukkattai is prepared with the same delicious result. I am going to post that easy method here. Hope you all enjoy making this delicious sweet.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HWd7Gy091rE/UxtRckU0ykI/AAAAAAAAB2Y/0vV3VYJ2qGc/w867-h619-no/CIMG4567.JPG

பால் கொழுக்கட்டை

The ingredients needed:

raw rice- 1 cup
raw rice flour [ this can be bought in any shop]- a little quantity
jaggery- 2 cups [ this must not be fresh and white in colour. The brown one is suitable]
shredded coconut- half cup
cardamom powder- 1 tsp
saffron- a few stripes

Preparation:

Soak the rice in enough water for a few hours.
Then grind the rice with a little water to a thick paste.
Add enough rice flour and a pinch of salt to make a soft dough.
heat a vessel and pour 8 cups of water.
When the water starts simmering, load the dough in a 'Idiyappam press' with a slightly bigger idiyappa achu or small murukku achu [disc].
Then press and squeeze it in the boiling water so that the dough would fall like small murukku pieces in to the water.
Once they are cooked they would come up and float on the surface of the water.
Then second round must be continued in this same way.
Thus finish all the dough.
Now all the cooked pieces will be floating on the surface.
Check the water consistency and more hot water can be added now if the dessert is too thick.
Now add the jaggery powder along with the shredded coconut, cardamom powder and saffron.
Cook for a few more minutes on medium fire.
The delicious pal kozhukkattai is ready now!!

www.muthusidharal.blogspot.com
www.manoskitchen.blogspot.com

uwitiusoj
14th March 2014, 01:02 AM
thanks for the wonderful recipe mam. looks so tempting, I would eat them all. :( I doubt myself, if i could do the muruku part without help. I have put on a lot of weight Dr and hubby advising me not to eat sweets but I so badly want that paal kozhukatai :cry::cry:

Mam 2 request, I need Kovakai dry curry recipe without coconut, 2 ways if you can. Pls post it mam when ever you get free time.

Also Kalyana sambar recipe the one where dal is served on top of rice and sambar is poured over it. I am so craving for this one. nothing urgent so take your time mam.

suvai
15th March 2014, 06:26 AM
hello nga mrs mano....epadi irukeenga hope yr husband is on the road to recovery...

oru periya favour.....ongakita irunthichinaalo or if u know of a good recipe for millet idly (soft one) thayavu seithu podunga...i took one from the net...& omg..neenga namba maateenga epadi vanthichinu...:-(
oru mozhuku kozhuku..nu vanthichi...but the nets picture was looking as though it was soft maybe they posted some other soft idly picture for this nu neenaikaren...:noteeth: aaga motham the recipe was a total failure for me

thank u nga mrs mano....but dont have to go out of your way sareengala...mudiyum bothu irunthichina podunga :-)

suvai
15th March 2014, 06:28 AM
paal kozhukattai with vellam....never knew that nga mrs mano....thank u nga for the recipe

Mrs.Mano
15th March 2014, 04:29 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

As you are carrying a child, it is good to shed off a little weight really. Avoid taking fried food, ghee, butter and white sugar, especially sweets made with white sugar. Sweets made with jaggery and karuppatti would not make that much harm. Eat whatever you like but only a little quantity.

I will soon post the recipes of 'kalyana sambar and kovaikkai dry curry soon!

Mrs.Mano
15th March 2014, 04:35 PM
Dear Suvai!

My husband is quite alright now. He is active here in Tamilnadu [Thanjavur]
It is very surprising that you never came across 'Pal kozhukkattai'! Every body makes this here with little variation in recipe! In fact, this one is the most favourite sweet for my husband.

I will soon post the recipe of millet idly [ kambu idly] Actually I have a plan to buy millet this evening! It is again another surprise that you have asked the same recipe!!

suvai
15th March 2014, 06:23 PM
Hello nga mrs mano......glad that your husband is out & about....which is absolute good news...:smile:

you will be surprised if i tell you that i am not even sure if i have tasted paal kozhukattai...leave alone with jaggery....maybe i should just give it a try with lesser quantity..

ohh neengalum millet shopping panna readya iruntheengala......sometimes its amazing how minds work in tandem :smile: glad it did....:noteeth:

podunga podunga onga recipe please.....i really want to make this millet (soft idly)......u know how it is ileengala....try panna dish sareeya varalaina...our hearts sink thaaney.......vida porathilai till i get a soft one...:noteeth: with your recipe ..nga......

uwitiusoj
16th March 2014, 02:26 AM
suvai this is mano mam jowar idli from her blog

சோள இட்லி

My close relative gave me this recipe. Even that time, I have not expected that I will make such a soft idli with jowar. I was amazed at the result. It is as soft as the usual idlies we make with the boiled rice. Any kara chutney would make a nice accompaniment for these idlies.

JOWAR IDLI

Ingredients:

Jowar - 1 cups
Par boiled rice ( idli rice) - 1 cups
Urad dhal - 1 cup
Enough Salt
Oil

Preparation:

Mix jowar, rice & urad & wash well.
Soak in enough water for 8 to 10 hours.
Jowar needs at least 10 hours to soak while rice and urad dal only need 4 hours to soak.
Grind to a fine batter adding enough water.
Add salt, mix well and ferment the batter for 10 hrs .
Now you have a nice batter for steaming idlies!
We can prepare tasty dosas with this batter.
Once the batter is spread on hot tawa, pour just a few drops of oil over it, cover & cook.
Turn over & cook for just a few seconds.
Serve with sambar or any chilli chutney.

NB:

When grinding the jowar, it takes a little more time to get a fine batter.
So it is a nice idea to grind the soaked jowar in a mixi and then add at the last stage of grinding the rice and urad dal.

suvai
16th March 2014, 04:10 AM
hi sangeetha,
thank u for this jowar idly recipe......will surely try it...once i get hold of jowar....cholam nu pottu irukey...is it cholam seeds?....here we get many a variety of it...so is there any particular type to get for this idly...?

seems like u have tried it....so kindly let me know....thanks sangeetha....for taking the trouble to get hold of this recipe & repost it.....nandri

Mrs.Mano
17th March 2014, 10:19 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

Here is the recipe for ' KALYANA SAMBAR'! Hope you will enjoy making it!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uU2fO4Z-wwQ/Uyci-QMlJ9I/AAAAAAAAB28/CyaBRPqfxSU/w825-h619-no/P3140047.JPG

கல்யாண சாம்பார்

Ingredients:

Tuar dal- 2 handful
split green gram- 50gm
Tamarind- a big lime size
small onion-a handful
green chillies-3 [ split]
crushed tomato- 1 1/2 cup
mustard seeds- 1 sp
asafoetida- a small piece
turmeric powder- half sp
chopped corainder leaves- a handful
vegetable pieces [ drumstick, carrot, ridge gourd, ladies finger, Pumpkin]
salt to taste
oil- 2 tbsp
Ghee- 2 tbsp.

In a sp of oil, fry these ingredients to golden brown and then powder them nicely:

red chillies[ long]-6, coriander seeds- 2 tbsp, tuar dal- 1 tbsp, bengal gram- 1 tbsp, black gram- half sp, asafoetida- a pea size, fenugreek seeds-half sp and curry leaves-15

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in hot water for half an hour and extract its thick juice.
Cook the dal
Heat a vessel and pour the oil and the ghee.
Add the mustard seeds with the asafoetida piece.
when the mustard seeds splutter add the onions with the green chillies and fry them until they become soft.
Add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and the coriander leaves.
Cook them until they are mashed and the oil floats on the surface.
Now add the tamarind extract with enough water.
Add the vegetables with enough salt.
When the vegetables are cooked add the cooked dal with a little salt.
When the sambar starts simmering sprinkle the sambar powder and mix well.
After a minute, reduce the fire and allow the sambar cook on slow fire for 3 minutes.
The del;icious kalyana sambar is ready now!!

NB:

Some people fry 1 or 2 tbsp shredded coconut in a little ghee to a slightly golden colour and then powder it along with the other fried ingredients.
In some place, a little shredded coconut, 1 or 2 tbsp of ghee and 1 tbsp of shredded jaggery will be added in the end. But this will give the ' Hotel sambar' taste!
I have added a little drumstick leaves along with the vegetables.

uwitiusoj
19th March 2014, 04:59 AM
:ty::ty::happydance::happydance:

thank you very much for the recipe mam. will make it tonight itself. I am so much craving for it.

Thanks for all the tips also mam yes I am putting on a lot of weight. Dr also asking me do exercise and eat in little quantities. I am a good swimmer but now my abdomen aches if i swim.

uwitiusoj
19th March 2014, 05:04 AM
Suvai

I have not made this idly but bookmarked it because my friend bought me this jowar here. She make dosa out of all kind of millets and kollu vendayam etc. So when she visits me she buys me these kind of things to motivate me to loose weight. Its makka cholam veriety and looks like this

http://kailaskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/jowar-bisibelebhath.html

also called sorghum I guess.

suvai
20th March 2014, 07:16 AM
sangeetha....thank you....for the info. Infact .....the kailaskitchen seems to be a nice blog too with a lot of healthy recipes....good luck in your trials.

I am positive namma mrs mano will surely post the millet recipe.....will wait for that ipothaiki....;-)

uwitiusoj
20th March 2014, 08:53 PM
Mano mam I made the sambar, it tasted exactly like the one i have tasted and I loved it so much. i am like :redjump::boo::pink: .ate in kalyana style with plain dal with ghee, potato curry and kootu :razz::razz: thank you very much mam

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3696/13289202745_d6187deb3f_z.jpg

uwitiusoj
23rd March 2014, 09:49 AM
I get these fresh Amarnath leaves quite often but every time I try internet recipes doesnt taste good and I regret for wasting such a fresh keerai. Any one any recipes please? Mam please share your recipe for this mam. If you have 2 varieties please share both mam as i need to add these type of keerais in my diet.

Thanks in advance.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2824/13344774954_f618125b40_z.jpgI[/IMG]

Mrs.Mano
26th March 2014, 12:05 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

As My house is full of guests I could not post an earlier reply!

I felt happy to know that you have tried my recipe of 'KALYANA SAMBAR' and it came out deliciously!! Thanks a lot for the lovely feedback Sangeetha!

Mrs.Mano
26th March 2014, 12:08 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

The Amarnath keerai [ aria keerai] looks beautiful! I will post the recipes soon!!

Mrs.Mano
26th March 2014, 12:13 PM
Dear Suvai!

My house is full of guests now. Hence it took a little more time to post this recipe ' KAMBU IDLY for you! Now here is Kambu Idly!

கம்பு இட்லி

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RzJY4PlbTd0/UzG6iDghwJI/AAAAAAAAB3g/8aLcpYH12UU/w825-h619-no/kambu+idly-1.JPG

About KAMBU/PEARL MILLET/BAJRA

Kambu or pearl millet or Bajra is a healthy grain which is high in protein as compared to other millets. It has potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc and vitamin E and B-complex. It is rich in calcium and iron too!! Helps to decrease the high sugar level for diabetic people.

Now the recipe is following.....

Ingredients:

Kambu [ Pearl millet/Bajra]- 3 cups
whole white black gram-1 cup
Idli rice- 1 cup
fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
salt to taste

Procedure:

Wash and soak the kambu and the rice for 12 hours.
Kambu needs more time to soak so that it can be ground finely.
Soak the black gram with the fenugreek seeds separately.
After 12 hours, grind the black gram to a smooth fluffy batter.
Then grind the kambu and the rice to a smooth batter again.
Mix with enough salt and allow it to ferment for 10 hours.
Steam the idlies as usual.
You will get soft, nutritious and delicious idlies.

NB: I have prepared onion Brinjal kothsu as an accompaniment. Any tomato chutney is also suitable for this!!

uwitiusoj
27th March 2014, 12:10 AM
thanks for the kambu idly recipe mam. the combo looks so delicious and healthy.

oh i did not know its tamil name, thanks mam.

suvai
30th March 2014, 07:48 PM
hello nga mrs mano..:-)

thank u for the millet idly recipe...naalaiki thaan steaming o steaming hot hot ones on our plates...sollaren kandipa epadi vanthichinu...

onga busy scheduleyum...time eduthu post panninathuku romba thanks nga...:-)

oru question...idly rice ilaama seiya mudiyuma soft millet idlys? neenga senji irukeengala? apadi oru recipe irunthaal......mudiyum bothu inga share pannunga please....thanks nga..

Mrs.Mano
1st April 2014, 10:14 PM
Dear Suvai!

Yes, I have tried the millet idly before only with the millet. But I was not satisfied with the result. The idly was soft. But it seemed a little stuck in the center. So I prefer this combination with the idly rice !!

Mrs.Mano
1st April 2014, 10:20 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

Here is a Kovaikkai recipe for you! you asked me to give a curry recipe without coconut. So I have given the same here. This is a suitable accompaniment for Sambar, mor kuzhambu etc!
On a view of health point, it is also rich in vitamins, helps in digestion and stimulates liver. It helps enormously for diabetic people.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0a8g1Sekhvs/UzG69wVbCBI/AAAAAAAAB30/F58SaCcKWJ0/w825-h619-no/kovaikkaay+-1.JPG

கோவைக்காய் கறி;

INGREDIENTS:

kovaikkai-12
chopped onion-1
chopped tomato- 2
garlic flakes-1 tbsp
gram flour- 1 tsp
fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
chilli powder- 1 tsp
turmeric powder- half sp
salt to taste
chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
oil- 2 tbsp.

PROCEDURE:

Slice the vegetable thinly lengthwise.
Heat a kadai and pour the oil.
Add the fennel seeds and when they splutter add the onion, tomato and the garlic with the turmeric powder.
cook them finely.
Add the vegetable with the chilli powder and enough salt.
Sprinkle some water and cook them until they become soft.
Now sprinkle the gram flour little by little, mix well and cook the vegetable until the raw flavour of the flour goes out.
Add the coriander leaves and mix well.
Now the delicious kovaikkai curry is ready!!

uwitiusoj
2nd April 2014, 09:58 PM
looks so nice and yummy mam. I will surely try and post the pic. Thanks a lot for remembering this request mam.

suvai
5th April 2014, 05:34 AM
Hello nga mrs mano........:-) the idly turned out superrrrrrrrrr o superrrrrrrrrr......it was very softttttt....even though the maavu did not pongify...ulloora konjam kavalaiyaa vey irunthichi..... but the idlys turned out fantastic.....ithai adikadi seivenga en kitchen la....ty ty for posting this fabulous recipe with perfecto meauserments....:smile:

i made a nice thakali kuzhambu for this & that turned out well too :noteeth:

aaga motham aahhaa aahaaa thaan nga...:noteeth:....loved it!

suvai
5th April 2014, 05:35 AM
i have no doubts that kovaikai is going to be another hit in my kitchen ;-)...ty for it too nga mrs mano

suvai
12th April 2014, 07:50 PM
hello nga mrs mano,

onga green gram potato kurma sakkai podu pottidichi table la :smile: thank u for a simple but a super tasty dish...chapathiku amogama irunthichi....thank u thank u....another keeper of yrs in the kitchen recipe box of mine ;-)

Hemant Trivedi
25th April 2014, 03:41 PM
Mrs. Mano,

It would be a great idea to start region wise recipes instead of mish mash things.
I think Kongunadu cuisine is ane and Chettinadu is another cuisine which you can take up .
There is a great depth in both the cuisines which are so different in nature.

uwitiusoj
26th April 2014, 09:09 PM
suvai what green gram potato recipe are u talking abt I made mrs.mano kadappa recipe which also had green gram potato yesterday for chapati. i made it with sprouted green gram, yummy. thank u so much mam for the recipe.

uwitiusoj
17th May 2014, 09:49 AM
mam i already did the kovakai recipe twice and made it with morkulambu combination as mentioned by you. they went so well with each other. mmmmmmmmmmm yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

tomorrow also going to make the same will take the pic before it finishes.

thanks for this wonderful recipe mam and also telling me the combo.

suvai
18th May 2014, 05:29 AM
hello nga mrs mano...hope all is well.

I tried your kovakai thairiyama...because i am not a big fan of kadalai maavu....but i tell you....this recipe is another keeper in my kitchen,...loved it....ty nga mrs mano :-)

sangeetha.....not sure which page...but it is there....

suvai
20th July 2014, 09:02 PM
Hello nga mrs mano nallam endru neenaikaren :-)

onga coconut chutney masala try panninen very different taste & super combo with idly :-) ty ty

sangeetha u had asked for green gram potato kurma it is page 2 number 58....chutney thedum bothu kurma vum kidaichithu.. :-) enjoy

mexicomeat
25th July 2014, 03:22 PM
i have got some longpepper and allspice (pimento)
pictures below - i don't know what to do with them. can someone suggest any recipes... maybe rasam? please advise

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vBjkD6rcRLU/UPeBi5GqHUI/AAAAAAAAApc/gOcHKiggRr8/s1600/peepr.jpg
http://www.mokshalifestyle.com/uploads/pimento.jpg

rose75
26th July 2014, 10:47 AM
Hello Mecicomeat, I am reposting Kugan's recipe in her thread for the longpepper rasam.

mexicomeat
28th July 2014, 03:24 PM
Hello Mecicomeat, I am reposting Kugan's recipe in her thread for the longpepper rasam.
Thank you

Mrs.Mano
29th August 2014, 11:07 AM
Dear Suvai!

How are you? After a long time I have come back here! Family problems and ill-health caused a huge gap !

Your nice feedback on millet Idli, green gram potato kurma and Kovaikkai curry gave me tremendous pleasure! You have mentioned that you have made thakkaali kuzhambu as a side dish for millet Idli. If possible, post down here its recipe! I am curious to know about it!!

Mrs.Mano
29th August 2014, 11:08 AM
Dear Sangeetha!

How are you? How is yr health?

Glad to have your nice feed back on Kovaikkai curry!

Mrs.Mano
29th August 2014, 11:34 AM
I am posting here a tasty rice variety. This keerai pulao is prepared with left over rice. Any keerai variety like Palak, Molaikkeerai, siru keerai, arai keerai, green ponnaangkanni keerai goes well with this pulao. But, I think Palak is most suitable. I am going to try with murungkai keerai next time. let me see how it tastes!!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nMNGvJmOpTM/VAAWC7c3ceI/AAAAAAAACEM/gxFeCjWdjok/w855-h641-no/keerai%2Brice-6.JPG

KEERAI PULAO:

Ingredients:

Finely chopped Palak keerai- 1 1/2 cups
Cooked rice-2 cups
Fennel seeds- 1/2 sp
small garlic flakes- 2 tbsp
finely chopped tomato- 1
finely sliced onion [ medium size] -2
ginger garlic paste- quarter sp
turmeric powder- 1/4 sp
finely chopped coriander- 1 tbsp
finely chopped mint leaves- 1/2 tbsp
salt to taste
ghee- 1 tsp
oil- 1 1/2 tsp
cashew nuts-6

Procedure:

heat a pan and pour the oil and ghee.
when they become hot add the fennel seeds with the cashew nuts.
Immediately add the onion, garlic flakes and the G.G.Paste.
Fry them well on slow fire until the raw flavour of the paste goes out.
Then add the tomato along with the greens, a pinch of salt and the turmeric powder.
Cook them well until the tomato is mashed and the oil floats on top.
Now add the cooked rice with enough salt.
Toss well on slow fire for at least a few minutes or until the rice is combined well with the masala.
Sprinkle a few drops of ghee on top of it.
The delicious keerai pulao is ready to use now!!

Shenbagam
16th November 2014, 08:17 PM
hello nga mrs mano...nalla irukeengala ...naan thaan :noteeth: vera yaarum ileenga
hope your health issues are all solved & you are getting better & better day by day.

Your keerai pulao looks very delicious.

enoda thakaali kuzhambu acho romba simple i am sure you also do the same way.

oru paathirathil...konjam ennai...mustard jeera onion green chillies then lots of tomatoes chopped...add karuvepilai & kothamalli stocks...fry this a bit till the tomatoes become mushy....i add peas to this....now i grind coconut with little kuss kuss....& add it to this...konjam kothika vachi irukanum (sometimes i dont add the coconut) i leave it as is also...athuvum nalla "suvai" thaanga :noteeth: another variation is one can add konjam pattai lavangam & sombu to the coconut & add athuvum oru "suvai" but different....

Mrs.Mano
25th November 2014, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the thakkaali kuzambu recipe, Suvai!

uwitiusoj
26th November 2014, 10:51 PM
Mano mam my daughter will be 3 months in 3 days. I did not have any help throughout and was finding it so difficult. It was emergency C. I am back to the forum to try out all your recipes. Please do keep posting whenever you get time.

FernGraebn
9th September 2015, 02:57 AM
Vanakkam Mrs. Mano.

I've a doubt in making podis. For some recipes they ask to fry in dry heat and others to fry in oil. What is the difference? Which one is better? frying in oil or dry heat.

Thanks

itedisinezadi
26th February 2016, 05:56 PM
I am extremely fond of puttu. When I came to bangalore, I was looking for a place where I get the puttu. Thankfully I found one at madiwala at a nair hotel. The place is located near http://www.davanamsarovarportico.com/. Being a foodie, I like exploring new places.

efufopuwigam
21st July 2016, 05:59 PM
it's a good one... i liked it.. info@sivasakthicatering.com
www.sivasakthicatering.com

sinrultz
10th October 2016, 10:45 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

When you get a chance, could you be so kind to post a recipe for pepper prawns?

suvai
14th January 2018, 09:34 AM
Iniya pongal vaazthukal nga mrs mano...hope all is well....tc nga