PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

genesis
13th October 2011, 10:43 AM
Congratulations App!! Great Job!!

I never realized any particular like/dislike for "Aye zindagi" song. But after reading through all these posts, now I realize how much I like "Aye zindagi" song... compared to "Poongaatru". I do not know why IR/BM did not choose KJY or Kishore to sing that song in Hindi.. it would have been better

app_engine
13th October 2011, 06:16 PM
nanRi, genesis!

makkaLE,

Talking about #175, I need to shuffle a bit - to give place to a real biggie and great personal favourite :-)

Also, it'll probably be a long post :oops: - poRuththaruLka :-)

Bala (Karthik)
13th October 2011, 09:20 PM
Ragas
Even when you take the mood/feel, Poongaatru was a perfect fit for the overall mood of the film. I do get that your preference is for the mood created by Yeh Zindagi, fair enough

poongARRu made such a strong impression in me in that age that it was so irritating to see it getting replaced with something else, however good it could have been. (It was almost like a personal rejection). South or north, I strongly feel there was no need to replace it. (My northie collegemates were in astonishment when poongARRu appeared in 1982).

Which is why the bias ...kani iruppak kAy kavarndha BM'kku oru kuttu. 24 carat irundhum kalyANi covering thAn vENum apdeennu adam pidichcha kuzhappavAthi yArunnu theriyalai.

Possibly I would have liked the 'irumbAka ninaiththEnE / karumbAka iniththAyE' song had it appeared as just another number in a TF, with no sadmA tag:-)
Exactly (listening to the song right now, what.a.song!)

jaiganes
13th October 2011, 10:04 PM
Ragas
Even when you take the mood/feel, Poongaatru was a perfect fit for the overall mood of the film. I do get that your preference is for the mood created by Yeh Zindagi, fair enough

Exactly (listening to the song right now, what.a.song!)

Yeh zindagi is more abstract compared to poongaatru. one need not see the entire movie, but kavignar would have summed up the destiny that ties the protagonists together in few simple lines. that is because the direct, minimalistic nature of the language in itself. now for a music composer, this means that the words are a prison in which musical imagination has to be caged. This is good for context, but look at the picturisation - it goes beyond telling the "theme" - conveys loads of wordless empty spaces that people share and experience.. Yeh zindagi precisely provides that - while poongaatru is like a supremely coordinated Olympic relay race (4X200m), "yeh zindagi "is a marathon across different landscapes and therein lies the inherent beauty of that composition.. the single place the magnificient animals meet is the inevitable "train" motif punctuated by bank of violins providing a galloping effect - a clarion call from the creative thinking brain to the impending doom about to befall on this beautiful bond taking place - poetic, poignant and tragic in a Shakespearean sense. kudos to Balu sir and Raaja saab in creating a wonder. will fight to death(metaphorically speaking ;-) ) anyone over this song..

venkkiram
13th October 2011, 11:17 PM
பூங்காற்று புதிதானது புதுவாழ்வு சதிராடுது
இரண்டு உயிரை இணைத்து விளையாடும்
உயிரை இணைத்து விளையாடும்

வருகின்ற காற்றும் சிறுபிள்ளையாகும்
மரகதக்கிள்ளை மொழிபேசும்
பூவானில் பொன்மேகமும் உன்போலே
நாளெல்லாம் விளையாடும்

நதியெங்கு செல்லும் கடல்தன்னைத் தேடி
பொன்வண்டோடும் மலர் தேடி
என் வாழ்வில் நீ வந்தது விதியானால்
நீ எந்தன் உயிரன்றோ

Oh life, embrace me accept me
Oh life I have also accepted embraced
every sorrow , unhappiness of yours, life
Haven’t I?
Oh life, embrace me accept me

Giving excuse , secretly from this world
Under the cover of my eyelids I filled my home
Oh life I got your support also

A small shadow came into my eyes
But I satisfied myself with 2 tear drops only
Oh life I found the shore

வரிகளின் பொருளை கவனிக்கும்போது இரு வடிவங்களும் அழகுறவே அமைந்திருக்கின்றன. (திரும்ப திரும்ப ஒரே வரிகளை நிறைய முறை பயன்படுத்தாமல் கவிஞர்களிடம் இருந்து இன்னும் நிறைய பெற்றிருக்கலாம், அப்படி செய்திருந்தால் செறிவாக அமைந்திருக்கும் என்பது என் தனிப்பட்ட அபிப்ராயம்) புதிதானது என்பதை விட புதிரானது என்ற பதம் இன்னும் அழுத்தத்தை கொடுத்திருக்கும் எனக் கருதுகிறேன். இசை என வரும்போது, ஹிந்தி பாடலின் உருவாக்கம் சிறந்தது. ராஜாவின் சிறந்த உருவாக்கங்களில் பத்தோடு ஒன்று பதினொன்று. ஆனால் தமிழ்ப் பாடலின் உருவாக்கம் ஆகச்சிறந்தது என்பதில் இரு வேறு கருத்துக்கள் இல்லை.

app_engine
13th October 2011, 11:19 PM
#175 பாடும் வானம்பாடி ஹா!
(நான் பாடும் பாடல், 1984 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2196'&lang=en)

One of the most loved, most heard songs from a nice movie! Off the screen, it had a terrific combo - SPB-IR-VM-RS-MP! Same group that made iLaya nilA. (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2671'&lang=en) This song too starts in a similar fashion - Bala singing the first line without much BGM -there just the spanish guitar and here brief mridhangam embellishment, no detailed prelude but straight jump into the terrific pallavi! If iLayanilA had terrific guitar interludes and that memorable postlude, here rAsA hits a tremendous double century in that second interlude! A marvel, wonder, miracle - call any name - and I get pullarips every time I hear! The first interlude too isn't far behind with a very interesting format and the flute making one lose control.

On top of these, the song has a special benefit (that iLaya nilA didn't have) - a new rhythm arrangement, simple but extremely catchy! The discussion session that IR / RS & VM had for this song should have been pretty interesting - how I wish to sneak into that room and hide in a corner / record the conversation :-) Where to have words / where not to, how the melody changes shape / at which point the syllable will be stretched etc - it should have been one of the best composing / lyric making discussions, IMO.

Like I mentioned before, when this movie arrived, my cousin had this song as 'paLLi ezhuchchippAdal'. He still had only the mono player I think, though many other relatives had migrated to that National Panasonic stereo model in which it was a lot more pleasant to listen to this number as well as other great songs of this movie. 'pAdavA' adidhadi version (even now I hear it a few times each week and it pumps in adrenaline like anything with those adidhadi of drums), dEvan kOvil deepam onRu (SJ in top form) - extraordinary songs in a single album in a year in which rAsA possibly did around 50 movies, average of a movie each week!

My cousin also loved the movie and when I visited him in Chennai around this time, kept talking about it non-stop. The most impressive scene for him was where Ambika tells Mohan to come home and propose in a formal way. He kept telling "how nice, how decent" etc, praising R Sundarrajan like anything (though the end scene, IMO, was a sodhappal with ambi chEchi worsening it by her "acting"). Shyamala Gowri - one of those unforgettable names for a movie character! Very few character names stay in mind like that unless it's part of the movie title as in the case of vaidhEhi K. (Bhagayalakshmi -Viji + Cheenu, another example).

The best way to listen to this song, like many others, is in a tea stall that has a nice sound system and decent sized box speakers! I can't count how many times I listened to this song in that way! Such was the popularity of these songs that every tea shop, every recording center worth anything had the NPP songs played continuously. This is one of those songs which even in the maximum volume of a high powered music system won't hurt my ears! I don't know what is the secret :confused: Extremely popular album in the hostel as well - I haven't come across a single person (so far) who disliked this song! A song that meets or exceeds all expectations and reaches absolute standards!

The movie had a stunning flashback (for a change, they decided to take the mike away from Mohan and gave it to Ambika), not-boring-story and terrific comedy! At the time of arrival, the most talked about thing was GM's 'eppadA kadA vettuveenga' rant :lol: And his ridicule of the Pandiyan-Ilavarasi luvvu created a lot of laughter as well - 'maRupadi eppadA fees pOduveenga' (BTW, 'machchAna vachchukkadi' had terrific orchestration although looked silly on screen). I think this was the movie that established GM on a top position as comedian. Even Sivakumar had a hilarious scene in which he tries to fetch water from the well.

Well, the movie cashed on all these benefits and had a superb run around the state. I remember watching this a couple of times in Trichy and suburbs. Unfortunately, the maximum ridiculed scene of the movie (by me and hostelmates) was this song :oops: Though the comments of us was making my neighbor - the ambi chEchi fan - mad, we couldn't help it. She simply shouldn't have been asked to dance! Not for just this song, never for any song on screen. She simply didn't have the skill! Period.

app_engine
13th October 2011, 11:54 PM
Now that the silver jubilee post had a special song, I can finish up the year (those few remaining numbers) without bothering much about order :-)

V_S
14th October 2011, 01:44 AM
That was a wonderful write-up App! :clap: You covered everything about the movie. Your finish is too good. :lol: Heavy rush always for this film. We were crazy Ambi fans that time (mainly in Devan Kovil deepam ondru song). As you said, the movie surprisingly had a very good story and top of it, our Maestro's brilliant score and Annan's outstanding comedy. When everyone wanted Sivakumar-Ambika to unite at the end, the director opted other way. When everyone had lot of regards for that Ambi's character, director spoiled everything in the end by making her a 'villi' and hero got punished for no reason.

This was Maestro's 250th film. All posters carried his big picture with title "Ilaiyaraaja's 250th film". Every composition is nach and demands unlimited listening!

app_engine
14th October 2011, 06:08 AM
nanRi, V_Sji :-)

Looking at this youtube after a longtime (Sivakumar is funnier than chEchi as of now :lol:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjYsnFTZFg

jaiganes
14th October 2011, 07:20 AM
Sooper job app..
Diligence, dedication and passion - Raaja would be proud to have a fan like you.
you have taken us on a musical journey that is laid out on top of your personal life journey
and it is simply splendid!! Chronologically the tale of the two legends began in 1976 and we have travelled 8 years so far
and more than a decade and a half to cover (till 2000s ). Exciting and enthusiastic read this...
Take a bow!!

Bala (Karthik)
14th October 2011, 09:03 AM
Sooper job app..
Diligence, dedication and passion - Raaja would be proud to have a fan like you.
you have taken us on a musical journey that is laid out on top of your personal life journey
and it is simply splendid!! Chronologically the tale of the two legends began in 1976 and we have travelled 8 years so far
and more than a decade and a half to cover (till 2000s ). Exciting and enthusiastic read this...
Take a bow!!
+1
Evokes great imagery....

Plum
14th October 2011, 09:31 AM
+1654236I wish I had a Raja-history like that. It was not until 1987 or so that I had cognizance of Raja and his genius. Until then, it was just the relation between individual songs and me.

KV
14th October 2011, 11:04 AM
Aah.. Sooper-app-u! Sooper-app-u! The bass track in this song is quite kickass as well.
Vinatha, thanks for the info on the rAgam.

app_engine
14th October 2011, 03:57 PM
mikka nanRi jaiganes, Bala(Karthik), Plum & KV!

One question - is there any interview on the web of R Sundarrajan?

i.e. has he ever talked about his "experiences" with rAsA? We read / hear a lot from the other biggie directors, singers, producers but I don't remember reading anything from this man. The only "recent" news I read about him was resigning from a key position in the MDMK (Vaiko party). I know he moved to comedy acting and faded out from directing movies etc. However, it should be interesting to hear from him about the sessions he had with rAsA for PM, NPP, VK, AKK (and others)...

app_engine
14th October 2011, 04:21 PM
R Sundarrajan as director has milked IR a lot to the benefit of TFM lovers. Here is a partial list of movies directed by him (he does not seem to have much followers on the web and the information one gets by googling is incomplete) :

payaNangaL mudivathillai (7 SPB gems, we've already posted about them all)

andha rAthirikku sAtchi illai - one of the few where he worked with other MDs, KVM for this film - there was a sweet SPB number (ethir pArthEn iLankiLiya kANalliyE IIRC)

nAn pAdum pAdal (2 SPB gems, 3 more SJ sweeties, one GA/SPS)

vaidhEki kAthirundhAL (no SPB there but some of the best-ever TFM numbers IMO - rAsAththi onna / inRaikku Enindha / azhagu malarAda / kAthirundhu / mEgam karukkaiyilE)

amman kOyil kizhakkAlE (chinnamaNikkuyilu, un pArvaiyil, kAlai nErappoonguyil are so sweet, couple of SPB numbers)

kungumachchimizh (nilavu thoongum nEram is a SPB sweetie, there are a couple more janaranjaga numbers like 'goods vaNdiyilE', 'vachchALAm neththippottu)

rAjAthi rAjA (there were only short songs by SPB I think but others were huge hits)

en jeevan pAduthu (orE muRai un darisanam & katti vachchukkO are evergreen...engirunthO azhaikkum is another...no SPB)

thirumathi pazhanisAmy (pAthakkolusu sweetie by SPB and a couple more nice numbers)

There should be a few more movies with nice songs, but the best had MSV-IR :-)

mellaththiRandhadhu kadhavu!

(no need to list the songs)

There are very few directors in the TF history who can match this man's ability to "get" songs, IMO :-)

app_engine
14th October 2011, 10:15 PM
#176 சீர் கொண்டு வா, வெண் மேகமே
(நான் பாடும் பாடல், 1984 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2197'&lang=en)

Very melodious, sweet duet by our celebrated pair from NPP, picturized on Sivakumar / Ambika (it must be Sivakumar, the writer, dreaming of the possibility of marrying the widow). Some of those details I don't remember now but someone please tell if Ambika is the fan of the writer - without knowing for a while that it is her neighbor? Or, does she know from the very beginning that this one indeed is her fav writer?

I'm intrigued because of seeing sAjan recently where that part of the movie was quite likeable:-) Another reason is this song somehow reminds me of the melodies of sAjAn (there is some distant connection, possibly N-S got inspired from this or 'seer koNdu vA' had some old-indhi inspirations which were the source for N-S...not the melody but the "overall format" of merA dil bhi / bahut pyAr kartE hai / jiyO tO jiyE all have a "similar feel" of seer koNdu vA).

That apart, this song always makes me nostalgic about the trip some of us took to a classmate's home in Kulitalai, when this song was heard many times and got wired together in the brains and bubbles out each time I listen to this number. That was one road in which I loved to travel - though each time it happened in bus or car, if I ever get a chance again, I would love to bicycle all the way or simbly walk. Walk not on the road but on the bank of Kaveri or by the vAykkAl that runs parallel to the road for many miles! romba, rombappidichcha pradhEsam! Though it had been years since I drove in that, those marutha nilangaL with the fantastic banana fields are strongly etched in memory. mukkombu - spent many visits to that beautiful place with hostelmates, friends, relatives and would love to visit any number of times! Just standing by the river and watching the waters of chOzha nAdu gives one so much of thrill! I love this place more than kallaNai (which is sweet as well).

Back to the song, Oh - what a lovely way both these singers emote together! Also, the interludes are exquisite delights!

KV
14th October 2011, 11:41 PM
Nice pick and lovely trip down memory lane, App. Hell, I've explored so little of TN. Minji pOna oru paththu pannandu ooru dhaan paathirpEn idhu varaikkum :oops:
Strangely I don't remember hearing this song in Thamizh so far. My playlist has the gult version of it - Naa nilayamu nee hrudayamE (http://www.chimatamusic.com/telugu_songs/play-Telugu-Songs-iphone.php?plist=13035#ytplayer)

app_engine
15th October 2011, 12:53 AM
KV,
You need to visit Mukkombu (which is located between Trichy & Karur and takes max 30 minutes from Trichy).

I haven't been on that road recently and it's possible lot of things changed. However, in the past, there was a railway gate (level crossing) near Pettavaiththalai (between Trichy & Kulitalai) where buses were often forced to wait for the train to cross.

There used to be an eager set of peddlers waiting for the opportunity to sell bananas to bus travellers. Their musical shout of 'வாளப்பளம், வாளப்பளம்' still rings in my years :-)

Murali Srinivas
15th October 2011, 01:25 AM
App,

Two super songs from NPP and the details that had been listed out for பாடும் வானம்பாடி were good read. Of course சீர் கொண்டு வா, வெண் மேகமே was definitely the more popular. Regarding your doubt, Ambika doesn't realise that her favourite writer Sivakumar is his neighbour.

Not only your cousin, many in the audience liked வீட்டுக்கு வந்து முறைப்படி பொண்ணு கேளுங்க doslogue and the scene. In the same manner, during the song தேவன் கோயில் தீபம் ஒன்று, Ambika will sing அன்பே நீயும் எங்கே வந்தாய் and Mohan will be seen opening the auditorium door and enter in that was well received. Another dialogue that springs to my mind is while V.Gopalakrishnan and Kamala Kamesh discuss about the possible relationship between Sivakumar and Ambika, Gopalakrishnan will ask இரண்டு பேரும் பேசிக்கிட்ருங்காங்கங்கிறதானாலேயே ஓடி போயிடுவாங்கன்னு சொல்ல முடியுமா for which Kamala Kamesh will reply இல்லை.ஆனா ஓடிப் போனவங்கெல்லாம் இப்படி பேசிக்கிட்டுருந்தவங்கதான், for which there used to be huge response in the theatre.

This was also 1984 April 14th released movie and i remember seeing it in the first week at Madurai Sundaram.

Regards

Regarding R.Sundararajan's movies, you missed out தூங்காத கண்ணின்று ஒன்று [Mohan, Ambika] that had KVM as MD.

jaiganes
15th October 2011, 11:05 PM
R Sundarrajan as director has milked IR a lot to the benefit of TFM lovers. Here is a partial list of movies directed by him (he does not seem to have much followers on the web and the information one gets by googling is incomplete) :

payaNangaL mudivathillai (7 SPB gems, we've already posted about them all)

andha rAthirikku sAtchi illai - one of the few where he worked with other MDs, KVM for this film - there was a sweet SPB number (ethir pArthEn iLankiLiya kANalliyE IIRC)

nAn pAdum pAdal (2 SPB gems, 3 more SJ sweeties, one GA/SPS)

vaidhEki kAthirundhAL (no SPB there but some of the best-ever TFM numbers IMO - rAsAththi onna / inRaikku Enindha / azhagu malarAda / kAthirundhu / mEgam karukkaiyilE)

amman kOyil kizhakkAlE (chinnamaNikkuyilu, un pArvaiyil, kAlai nErappoonguyil are so sweet, couple of SPB numbers)

kungumachchimizh (nilavu thoongum nEram is a SPB sweetie, there are a couple more janaranjaga numbers like 'goods vaNdiyilE', 'vachchALAm neththippottu)

rAjAthi rAjA (there were only short songs by SPB I think but others were huge hits)

en jeevan pAduthu (orE muRai un darisanam & katti vachchukkO are evergreen...engirunthO azhaikkum is another...no SPB)

thirumathi pazhanisAmy (pAthakkolusu sweetie by SPB and a couple more nice numbers)

There should be a few more movies with nice songs, but the best had MSV-IR :-)

mellaththiRandhadhu kadhavu!

(no need to list the songs)

There are very few directors in the TF history who can match this man's ability to "get" songs, IMO :-)

other movies...
ninaive oru sangeedham

Nerd
17th October 2011, 12:48 AM
App, its getting better by each post. Congrats on the வெள்ளி விழா :clap:

app_engine
17th October 2011, 08:19 AM
Thank you Murali sir, for details on NPP :-)

So, that part is very similar between NPP & sAjan as well. (In sAjan, Sanjay Dutt is a poet whose writings make M Dixit fall in love with the unseen poet, Mr.sAgar. Because of the hero's disability, he doesn't want to reveal himself to her but befriends her telling that the poet is "known" to him and will introduce him someday...)

Like you mentioned, R S has a few more movies to his credit, with some melodious numbers. Surprisingly, such a big "musical" director, doesn't seem to have much admirers on the web...even his wiki page is hopeless...

Jai,
Are you sure ninaivE oru sangeetham is RS? This page (http://tamilxprez.blogspot.com/2010/08/ninaive-oru-sangeetham-songs.html) has a picture that credits K Rengaraj as director :confused:

app_engine
17th October 2011, 08:21 AM
App, its getting better by each post. Congrats on the வெள்ளி விழா :clap:

mikka nanRinga!

If you had been to Trichy recently, can you please post about the current details of "highways" around the city...I was sending off the f-i-l of a distant relative yesterday (took off from Metro airport)...he used to live in Mannarpuram and said the Tanjore road tollgate etc are all bye-passed by huge flyovers now...

app_engine
17th October 2011, 08:27 AM
3 songs due (Sat / Sun / Mon) and I'll post in the morning...

groucho070
17th October 2011, 08:56 AM
App, fantastic, fantastic, fantastic!! Don't know what else to say. To have attracted Murali-sir himself, those posts got to be awesome. Murali-sir, your contribution is like dessert to the main course by app (in addition to excellent side dish V_S, and not to be missed tottukka Jai).

kiru
17th October 2011, 01:01 PM
Amazing contribution App. Hats off to you..

app_engine
17th October 2011, 04:54 PM
nanRi, groucho!

I was :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl3: when reading your pudhukkavidhai review.

Especially the Vijayakanth diary part.

Felt like reading one of those early-day Ganesh-Vasanth conversations which are among the best I've ever read :-)

kiru,

mikka nanRinga!

Nerd
17th October 2011, 06:46 PM
Digression -

mikka nanRinga!

If you had been to Trichy recently, can you please post about the current details of "highways" around the city...I was sending off the f-i-l of a distant relative yesterday (took off from Metro airport)...he used to live in Mannarpuram and said the Tanjore road tollgate etc are all bye-passed by huge flyovers now...
I was there in 2010 Jan. The highway was still under construction. Was about 75% done I would say. The idea is to connect, the madurai, thanjai, pudhukkottai highways. The bridge starts from the Madurai membaalam (buses that go towards edamalaipattipudhur/viraalimalai), paal pannai (Thanjai/REC route). Our house is about 1.5 Kms away from TVS tollgate near the Anna stadium. My parents still live there.

On the mukkombu thingi, didnt want to spoil your experiences and the imagery etched in your mind but could not resist. It was actually quite decent when I used to go there often in the mid-late 90s. But when I went there in late 2005 (one of my bestest friends lives in Pettavaaithalai) I can not believe what a mess that place was. Enga paaththaalum kuppai, pazhaiya iththuppOna slides for the kids, naduvila periya saakkadai, paththaadhadhukku kaadhalargaL imsai vera. And that still remains as the *only* suttrulaa/pozhuthupokku sthalam for Trichyites. The new mayorammaa (yaaraaga irundhaalum) has promised that it will change :mrgreen:

But the iyarkal maruthanila azhagu is still there if you make an attempt and take one of those equisite ottraiyadi paadhais a good 5-10 Kms away from Mukkombu. The 5 KM radius surronding Mukkombu has already been urbanized (Trichy rangekku). And yes the railway gate you talked about, still there and you certainly can hear the same old 'paLam/vaaLappalam/rasthaali/poovampalam/malaippalam' even today.

app_engine
18th October 2011, 12:14 AM
AhA, thanks for the update Nerd!

On the thread...
I don't think it'll be possible to do song posting today (both machine & time issues)...so it will have to wait till tomorrow :-(

app_engine
18th October 2011, 03:07 AM
Looks like it's curtains for 1984. The movie 'veLLaippuRA onRu' that had a sweet MV-SJ number 'iLam kAdhal veeNai' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4019'&lang=en)did have a SPB-SJ duet 'thinasari kalaraippArkka' which cannot be called a hit and so cannot make it to this listing.

Same with the northie sounding anbirukkum uLLangaLE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3935'&lang=en)from vAzhkkai where 'kAlam mARumA' got posted about. Ofcourse 'mella mella' from this movie is well-known to any who admires IR music (PS with Raj Seetharaman).

Interestingly, this was the year when a Motherland Pictures film seems to have a movie without SPB song :shock: (unnai nAn sandhiththEn, with K Rangaraj as director - the 'hEy I love you', 'thAlAttu mARippOnadhE', 'dEvan thandha veeNai', 'unnaikkANum' movie). Did this movie from that production house gave mike to Mohan without giving mike to SPB?

Wait a minute...thiraippadal may not have that SPB song, but I remember listening to SPB sing for mike Mohan that 'dEvan thanda veeNai' :confusion:

AhA, rAkkammA (http://rakkamma.com/filmsongs.phtml?filmid=144)says there's this SPB number (Prof.Sivakumar suspects his wife Sujatha who sings on stage with Mohan, hides under the kattil to 'kaiyum kaLavumA' catch her)

Well, there is still one more hit song for SPB this year, from unnai nAn sandhiththEn...let me google to find a link and post tomorrow...

jaiganes
18th October 2011, 04:05 AM
dhevan thandha veenai is a rehash from shankar nag movie "Geetha" the original song being "Nanna jeeva neenu" - listen to it to see the "Actor" SPB in full glory(overacting...)

app_engine
18th October 2011, 09:16 AM
#177 தேவன் தந்த வீணை
(உன்னை நான் சந்தித்தேன், 1984 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL5RSbG3FnY)

Possibly the last number for the year in the compilation, fittingly a duet with SJ! Very melodious song with glorious tabla accompaniment. As mentioned briefly in a post in the last page, IIRC, Mohan did a "gaurava" role to the production house that gave him the mike-anic status, possibly acting for just this song (with mike on the stage) and may be a couple other scenes. Sujatha acted young and old in this movie that also had Sivakumar, Revathy, Suresh. The director possibly wanted to impress his ADMK MLA producer and tried a 'rAjAvin pArvai rANiyin pakkam' styled song with Revathy-Suresh doing the Sarojadevi-MGR act :lol:

Feel-good movie with some great songs (possibly a remake from neighboring language movies). Had the other standard support of GM to ensure a decent run. (Is Y Vijaya the jodi to GM in this?)

baroque
18th October 2011, 11:56 AM
ஆஹா... ராஜ சங்கீதம்! :musicsmile:

பாலா's aalaap, bass கிடார், வயோலின், flute , ஜில்லென்ற ஜானுவும்...What a stress buster !
வாழ்க்கையில் எல்லாமே அனுபவிச்சாச்சு 80sலேயே. ...:swinghead:

Hip Hip Hurray, App_eng & tfmpage!

thanks , Raja's photo in the video!
love
vinatha

V_S
18th October 2011, 09:28 PM
What a song to finish the glorious 1984. Thanks a lot App! :smile: Only one hiccup to this great composition being வீணை always sounds like விணை to me. Normally Maestro does not make such mistakes in sandham, still could not fully enjoy due to this. :sad:

app_engine
18th October 2011, 09:44 PM
nanRi baroque & yw V_Sji :-)

வீணை always sounds like விணை

:lol2:

BTW, that number #177 was for Saturday and I have to post 3 more to catch up.

First of all, I'll do the 1984 hyperlinks post and start 1985 with another Motherland pictures movie (that had a ton of SPB hits), without worrying about alpha order :-)

app_engine
19th October 2011, 12:17 AM
ok, here are the links :

All 70's & years 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=737755&viewfull=1#post737755)

Those of 1984:

#141 neeyA azhaiththadhu en nenjil minnal adiththadhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=737776&viewfull=1#post737776)
#142 azhagAna pookkaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=738236&viewfull=1#post738236)
#143 jOdi nathigaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=738730&viewfull=1#post738730)
#144 thEn poovE poovE vA thenRal thEdi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=738792&viewfull=1#post738792)
#145 kalyANachchElai unadhAkum nALai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=739267&viewfull=1#post739267)
#146 alai meedhu thadumARuthE siRu Odam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=739886&viewfull=1#post739886)
#147 vAlibam vAzhka vaiyakam vAzhka (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=740409&viewfull=1#post740409)
#148 muththam pOdhAdhE saththam pOdAthE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=740884&viewfull=1#post740884)
#149 engE enthan kAdhali (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=741805&viewfull=1#post741805)
#150 mEgham kottattum Attam uNdu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=741820&viewfull=1#post741820)
#151 Alangatti mAmazhaiyAm (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=741830&viewfull=1#post741830)
#152 thAzhampoovE vAsam veesu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=742389&viewfull=1#post742389)
#153 nilavonRu kaNdEn en jannalil (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=742890&viewfull=1#post742890)
#154 kai veesum thAmarai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=743317&viewfull=1#post743317)
#155 rOjA onRu muththam kEtkum nEram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=743761&viewfull=1#post743761)
#156 neelakkuyilE unnOdu nAn paN pAduvEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=744152&viewfull=1#post744152)
#157 kalyANam vaibOgam enRenRum vAzhka (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=744673&viewfull=1#post744673)
#158 mAlai soodum vELai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=744684&viewfull=1#post744684)
#159 pOdu thandhAnaththam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=745020&viewfull=1#post745020)
#160 muththAduthE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=745449&viewfull=1#post745449)
#161 adiyEi manam nillunnA nikkAthadee (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=745942&viewfull=1#post745942)
#162 nAnE rAjA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=746284&viewfull=1#post746284)
#163 O vasantha rAjA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=746693&viewfull=1#post746693)
#164 vizhiyilE maNi vizhiyil mouna mozhi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=746925&viewfull=1#post746925)
#165 rOjA onRu uLLangaiyil pooththadhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=747177&viewfull=1#post747177)
#166 O dEvan kOvil veeNai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=747360&viewfull=1#post747360)
#167 oru nAyakan udhayamAkiRAn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=749869&viewfull=1#post749869)
#168 sengamalam sirikkudhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=750219&viewfull=1#post750219)
#169 vAnam niRam mARum (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=750255&viewfull=1#post750255)
#170 mAmOi mAmOi kaLLukkadai maRandhidunga (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=750261&viewfull=1#post750261)
#171 namma modhalALi nalla modhalALi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=750262&viewfull=1#post750262)
#172 en vAzhvilE varum anbE vA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=750268&viewfull=1#post750268)
#173 kAdhalin deepam onRu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=750281&viewfull=1#post750281)
#174 kAlam mARalAm nam kAdhal mARumA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=750625&viewfull=1#post750625)
#175 pAdum vAnampAdi hA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=751006&viewfull=1#post751006)
#176 seer koNdu vA veN mEghamE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=751398&viewfull=1#post751398)
#177 dEvan thadha veeNai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=752433&viewfull=1#post752433)

app_engine
19th October 2011, 12:23 AM
So, 1983 beats 1984 by one song (38 v/s 37).

I'm not sure whether there'll be another year with so many hits as observed by me. (There may be more in the coming years but I was out of TN starting from Jan'86 and wasn't exposed to all of them...IIRC, 1985 wasn't that big a year for SPB-IR combo...mudhal mariyAdhai had all MV, sindhu bhairavi had all KJY...let us see how it goes!

There's another interesting stat for 1984, possibly the max number of hits by the glorious combo SPB-SJ-IR : 24 out of the 37 :clap: :clap: :clap:

app_engine
19th October 2011, 01:21 AM
#178 சங்கீத மேகம் தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம்
ஆகாயம் பூக்கள் தூவும் காலம்
நாளை என் கீதமே எங்கும் உலாவுமே
என்றும் விழாவே என் வாழ்விலே
(உதய கீதம், 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3861'&lang=en)

I'll have to finish up all the "college related recollects" within this year:-) Despite the 6 month's detour in the first sem to create this 1 year gap for our seniors, the journey got over by Dec 85 when last ejjAms / project vivA all got over, making me start the first job in Jan'06, even before final results came in.

It was a year of hectic activities - project, campus / otherwise interviews, usual ejjAms, in addition to the main course of "final yeardom" that had its extra privileges :wink:

For e.g. we had the headship of most committees in Festember. Though I wasn't a worthwhile talent in any art form, thanks to politics, I had the privilege of heading "prizes" committee - that essentially meant arranging clean up of all the shields, organizing "brasso / silvo" work for them, oversee production of momento's / certificates, run a booth that exchanged the actual prizes for the vouchers given at events and finally stand in the stage during valedictory to carry the shields to the chief-guest for handing over to winning colleges.

One may wonder why should I be talking about that here. Well, vishayam irukku.

Either the year I joined (81) or the prior year, rAsA was supposedly the invitee for festember and he donated a huge shield (when I wasn't present and it seems most light music contestants sang 'vAsamillA malaridhu' to his dismay). So, though rAsA wasn't there for my on-stage occasion (i.e. on-stage as edu-pidi), the huge shield with rAsA's name as donor (which was awarded to the overall top winner college at that point of time) was there and made the task a little memorable :-)

hA, there I made a little connection to this forum :-)

Well, this was the year of udhaya geetham! A phenomenal SPB-dominated album for Motherland pictures (with Mohan and his favourite companion on hand). I don't remember the exact time of arrival of this movie but definitely viewed it a few times in Trichy and thoroughly enjoyed the songs! The shocking, unexpected scene just prior to the interval was a stunner! Ofcourse big idi for logic, as Revathy is shown as having 'kanavu scene' in this sweet sangeetha mEgham. (There's even a girl's humming in the interlude).

Still, what a song! Terrific orchestration and sweet singing by Balu! The drumwork is one of my all-time favourites!

app_engine
19th October 2011, 01:58 AM
#179 பாடு நிலாவே தேன் கவிதை பூ மலர
(உதய கீதம், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3860'&lang=en)

One of the most popular blogs on SPB has its name as பாடும் நிலா பாலு (http://myspb.blogspot.com)that obviously refers to this sweet hit song from udhaya geetham. When I watched the movie for the first time, extremely impressed with the sichchuvEshan for this song - girl standing outside the prison and conveying her feelings to a prisoner. Though in modern setting, it reminded one of historicals - there may be similar songs in movies as well but definitely reminded me of some classical sariththira novels, specifically ponniyin selvan, where VanthiyaththEvan finds himself often in prison with the princess having feelings for him. Well, as the movie progressed, it didn't prove to be worthy of such imaginations even though the songs were of very high order.

It did contain Motherland pictures' regular stuff - GM comedy, nice songs, some interesting story (possibly borrowed from one of neighboring languages again) - and a special "300th film of rAsA" tag, all ensuring a successful run. Revathy switched to modern dress and was still tolerable and earned the 'versatility' pass mark.

Question - though I know this is a Mu.Mehta song, not sure if this was his first cine song - can someone throw light?

Don't have much college memories associated with udhayageetham movie - though I would like to pump some in each post :wink: Well, this year was one of memorable cricket events - specifically the terrific semi final adichchu-noRukkal by Kapil in the WCC!

We were in the common room watching the match in the terrific Australian channel (first time in life seeing such brilliant coverage, Richie Benaud's expert commentary etc) when there was a brief power failure :-( Ran to the room for a battery operated radio to continue with some tense moments when power came back. The TV room was packed, hot / sweating, with everyone holding their breath as asking run rate was climbing up. Richard Hadlee had a tight spell and was threatening to stop the glorious run of India. With what style Kapil settled the matter! (Yes, this was the match in which the veggie killed a seagull and was requesting veLLam and the competitive Hadlee objected, not giving any inch of comfort to the enemy). Well, the whole WCC ended letting Indians claim "down under, we are thunder" (pinnE, L Sivaramakrishnan ellAm shine paNNi, Ravi Shastri Audi car'la Mohindar thaNNi bottle Oda valam vandhadhu enna oru scene)!

The year had another deadly cricket match in Sharjah, called Rothman's cup where Pak dismissed India for 125. India won the match, however, dismissing Pak for 87 (Sunny taking four sweet catches). We really had a high during college days in Cricket!

app_engine
19th October 2011, 03:33 AM
#180 தேனே தென்பாண்டி மீனே
இசைத் தேனே இசைத்தேனே
மானே இளமானே
நீ தான் செந்தாமரை, ஆரிராரோ
நெற்றியில் மூன்றாம் பிறை, தாலேலேலோ
(உதயகீதம், 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3862'&lang=en)

rAsA and thAlAttu are made for each other. This most practical form of TFM had always found golden touch from this composer and we have innumerable beauties.

With all kinds of 'mAnE-thEnE-ellAm-pOttukkanga' stuff, this is one among them from the hit movie in the sweet voice of SPB. Mohan sings inside the prison at the request of a fellow prisoner I think. This song also connects him with his mom which is one of the 'not-so-difficult-to-guess' thingies in the movie (with Lakshmi looking awful in the cop costume). Almost adding to the masAlA nature of the movie, valindhu thiNikkappatta feeling...

There's also a SJ version of the song in the disk. It is another case like kAdhalin deepam onRu - never enjoyed the female version that much. Possibly because she deliberately sounded old. OTOH, the melodious SPB version was often played as a lullaby to myself and was part of my first "recorded cassette" (along with mEgham kottattum that we've talked about earlier). Guaranteed to make kids sleep if you play the SPB version (opposite effect if I sing myself, kids may get hyper :-) )

Song was a patti-thotti hit in TN and was often heard on buses. Overall, however, this album had a relatively less reach than NPP in my opinion. Still, by now the rAsA brand, echo disks getting converted into TDK cassettes at recording centers, teakkadai music, bus music all have become part of the cultural identity of TN and became inseparable from the daily lives of TN-ers. My chithappA (i.e. husband of the last chithi who lived with our grand parents in karmaveerar's ooru) had a recording center as "side business" -possibly around this time I think, for a couple of years, apart from his gov job. It was always a pleasurable trip those days to go visit them and treat myself with a lot of music in terrific music systems...

app_engine
19th October 2011, 06:27 AM
sangeetha mEgham youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNjwh64DHgE

app_engine
19th October 2011, 06:29 AM
thEnE thenpANdi meenE youtube
(one of my co-workers, who was from Sangagiri, used to get irritated whenever any song comes with the 'then pANdi' reference) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cj1vEVwVN8&feature=fvwp&NR=1

V_S
19th October 2011, 07:03 AM
Ofcourse big idi for logic, as Revathy is shown as having 'kanavu scene' in this sweet sangeetha mEgham
Nice Observation! Kalakkunga!!

with Lakshmi looking awful in the cop costume
:lol:

(one of my co-workers, who was from Sangagiri, used to get irritated whenever any song comes with the 'then pANdi' reference) :
:lol:
App,
You know what, you are taking us to virtually to many places through your posts. Had a feeling that I was around you in all your memorable moments. Festember should definitely be a memorable one. I heard lot about Festember from my friends and college-mates. But been to Renaissance (PSG) and Harmony (CIT) once. Beautiful memories!. Very nice read on all the Udaya Geetham songs with your wonderful write-up with some great experience of yours. Great Job sir! :clap:

baroque
19th October 2011, 08:50 AM
UDHAYA GEETHAM - Stunning stuff, App_eng.

Paadu nilave then kavithai.... is my favorite, I often treat myself multiple times. Tonight is no exception. andha vaasanthi aalap by Januvum, longing-joyous enchantment mood change by Janu & Bala , pouring strings, flute and violin..Wow! Wow!

Vicky has done a good job with the prelude of sangeetha megam.....for Raaja's site.

Yes.. Raja's lullabies are soothing and comforting.
Bala paththi praise panna inime enna vaarththaigal erukku!

மாலை வெய்யில் வேளையில் மதுரை வரும் தென்றலே
ஆடி மாதம் வைகையில் ஆடி வரும் வெள்ளமே
நஞ்சை புஞ்சை நாளும் உண்டு நீயும் அதை ஆளலாம்
மாமன் வீட்டு மயிலும் உண்டு மாலை கட்டிப் போடலாம்
ராஜா நீதான் நெஞ்சத்திலே நிற்கும் பிள்ளை

Thene thenpaadi.....pensive mood flute.

minimalistic ilayaraja's masterpiece!:ty:

Wonderful recall of your college days, App_eng.

Thanks for sharing.

Unhurried mood of this thread is wonderful to be here at the end of the day.

I continue to crawl back to Ilayaraja's sangeethams tonight.:musicsmile:

vinatha.

Plum
19th October 2011, 09:39 AM
App, adhula enna logic idikkudhu. Kanavu scenekellam logic edhukku?Btw, pagal nilavuleye Revathy maadern dressing switch AyAchu illaiyA?

groucho070
19th October 2011, 10:48 AM
Athellam oru modern dreass-u:banghead:. Only thing missing is nun's habit.

Divine22
19th October 2011, 12:13 PM
Dear App,

Lovely write up for Kaathalin Theebam ondru, The youthful, handsome & dashing Rajini , oozing with romantic expressions, has always been my screen favourite. He has looked tht good in only a handful number of songs, as a woman, I have always felt tht love that is flowing in tht song, a true love beautifully confessed by a man to his lady love. And the sweet En Vazhvile Varum Anbe Vaa... :bow:

I have liked tht movie in particular too, Rajini has done pretty good comedy portion. And not forgetting the excellent BGM work, my eyes will lit up for the bgm , aft Rajini giving 'muah' to Madhavi forcefully, and getting punished. so-called tied to the tree outside Madhavi's house, They make an ideal pair too, IMO.

Divine22
19th October 2011, 01:06 PM
சங்கீத மேகம் தேன் சிந்தும் நேரம்
ஆகாயம் பூக்கள் தூவும் காலம்
என்றும் விழாவே என் வாழ்விலே
(சங்கீத மேகம்..)

போகும் பாதை தூரமே வாழும் காலம் கொஞ்சமே
ஜீவ சுகம் பெற ராக நதியினில் நீ நீந்தவா
இந்தத் தேகம் மறைந்தாலும் இசையாய் மலர்வேன்
இந்தத் தேகம் மறைந்தாலும் இசையாய் மலர்வேன்
கேளாய் பூமனமே
(சங்கீத மேகம்..)

உள்ளம் என்னும் ஊரிலே பாடல் என்னும் தேரிலே
நாளும் கனவுகள் ராக பாவனைகள் போகின்றதே
எந்தன் மூச்சும் இந்தப் பாட்டும் அணையா விளக்கே
எந்தன் மூச்சும் இந்தப் பாட்டும் அணையா விளக்கே
கேளாய் பூமனமே
(சங்கீத மேகம்..)

Seems like the song was specially written for Raaja Sir & SPB Sir ,,, Intha paadalai ezhutiya kavingnar yaaro ?

Plum
19th October 2011, 03:31 PM
Grouch, OnAyA(revathy fanA) irundhu pArththa dhaan andha nyaayam puriyum. Enga standardsukku(adhuvum appo naanga irundha age, exposure, knowledge) adhu maadern dress dhaen. Infact, we'd call it glamorous :evil:

Plum
19th October 2011, 03:35 PM
Idhukku mEla edhirthu pEsinA, ungaLukku Suhasini maadern dress videos parcella anuppichuduvEn :evil:

groucho070
19th October 2011, 03:37 PM

I repent. I repent.

Murali Srinivas
20th October 2011, 12:27 AM
App,

3 Super songs in one go! Would have expected to savour one by one! Still no issues!

Udhya Geetham was released on Tamil New Year's day in April 1985. There were so many releases during that period with the likes of Khakki Sattai, Naa Sigappu Manidhan, Neethiyin Nizhal, Udhya Geetham, Pillai Nila and Kalyana Agathigal hitting the screens at the same time. Myself working at Kerala took 5 days leave combined with Vishu and came down to Madurai as I usually do and my theatre yathra started with right earnest. 11th April Thursday Khakki Sattai was released and I saw the Morning opening show at Madurai Central, next day 12th Naan Sigappu manidhan got released and again I saw Morning opening show at Mathi theatre. 13th Saturday Neethiyin Nizhal released and being a NT film [though he was a guest artist] needless to say it was also an opening show affair this time at Meenakshi theatre in the morning. The same day night show I saw Udhaya Geetham at Sundaram. Next day Sunday night show it was Kalyana Agathigal at Shakthi. Monday afternoon show saw Padikkadha Pannaiyaar [NT - KSG combo] which had been released a month before that in Nadana theatre and finally on Tuesday afternoon it was Pillai Nila at Minipriya. Took the night bus back to Kerala on the same day.[My grand father while I was leaving home for the bus stand said ஊருக்கு வந்த அன்னைக்கு காலையிலே பார்த்தது. மறுபடியும் இப்போதான் பார்க்கிறேன்!]. Well those were the days!

Divine, சங்கீத மேகம் IIRC is by Muthulingam.

App, I think there is some other song by Mu. Metha which preceded Padu Nilave. Talking of lyric writers this was one movie where all the six songs were written by six different writers. Other than Muthulingam and Mu.Metha, Thene thenpandi meene was by Vaali, ennodu paatu paadungal was by M.G.Vallabhan [?], மானே தேனே கட்டிப்பிடி was by Naa.Kamarasan and உதய கீதம் பாடுவேன் was by Vairamuthu.

<Dig
App that reminds me one more thing. You had mentioned Paadum Vanambadi was by VM. But i have my own doubts. In NPP, Paadava in paadalai alone was written by VM [IIRC].
> end Dig

Great going! Keep it coming.

Regards

app_engine
20th October 2011, 02:00 AM
nanRi V_S, baroque, Divine22 & Murali sir!

Plum & groucho, :-)

Murali sir,

Your post is quite informative as usual and the statement "ஊருக்கு வந்த அன்னைக்கு காலையிலே பார்த்தது. மறுபடியும் இப்போதான் பார்க்கிறேன்" made me :lol2: What a dedicated movie fan!

app_engine
20th October 2011, 02:36 AM
#181 என்னோடு பாட்டுப் பாடுங்கள்
(உதயகீதம், 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3858'&lang=en)

We've earlier talked about the 'ennOdu pAdungaL, nalvAzhththuppAdalkaL' in this thread. One gets reminded of that number as both had the same 'sing with me' phrase in the pallavi, apart from the IR-SPB connection.

This is a flash-back song in the movie, featuring the 'dancing son' of a TF field genius, Nagesh. I think Anand Babu got intro'd in a TR movie and continued his disco dances in a number of movies in the mid-80's before trying to take up lead roles and disappearing from the scene. While people may ridicule his dance now, i.e. after watching the likes of Prabhu Deva and his brother, it's a fact that people enjoyed AB during the dhinam dhinam un mugam / ennOdu pAttuppAdungaL time period. (I wasn't among those 'people' BTW but I was a big admirer of his dad's dancing).

The song starts like a reggae (IR indulges in such forms briefly before bringing in his own genre) and then moves on northie-ish, with SPB infusing a lot of life. My favourite parts are the sweet wind instrument sounds and the brief synth sounds (that are like guitar & piano but neither). It was the least preferred song within the movie at the time of arrival but I was generally happy that IR got another movie full of hit songs that reverberated around the state. From that POV, happy for this song :wink: though at times FFed when listening to cassettes holding all songs from this movie.

Plum was talking about Revathy switching from saree to modern in pagal nilavu first but I don't remember which came first - PN or UG. In any case, I didn't watch PN in theater. It was around this time period (late-84 & 85) that the "deck vAdakaikku" culture started in TN. Since we had the solidaire color tv in the hostel common room, quite often guys will collect together some money and rent deckku / cassette and watch movies in the hostel. pagal nilavu belonged to that deckcku-watched-films-list (MR's first film) and I'm not sure about the timing. Per Murali sir, UG is April and so high probability for that to be firsttu...

Another college recall is the badminton (i.e. the ball one, pooppandhu) tournaments that we held on behalf of our hostel. Back then, in REC, each hostel hosted a couple of cups/shields for games / sports and was allotted an indoor and an outdoor tournament. Those inter-hostel ones were like India-Pak matches while there was absolutely no focus on inter-college stuff (where REC was generally a loser...except in cricket I think). Since I had a 'poonthAks' into BB college team in the first year, when we moved into Emerald hostel which was the host of that game, I became the default organizer. It was fun collecting fund from college and also collect from teams and then manage prizes, matches, fixtures, function etc.

Let me tell the most funny part, however. The purchase of items for the tourney! Coming from a village, stricttu dad-mum and total non-exposure to techniques such as "bill adjustments", it was a shocker when some of my hostelmates wanted me to approve of. (i.e. use such funds to buy personal items and inflate the bills for prizes / refreshments etc). Well, while I didn't let it happen, I got educated / seasoned as to what practices people can do in purchase and wasn't too much shocked when such things got caught / people punished etc when working in the industry during later years. Sticking to the "best policy" is always a live-saver. (Ofcourse, I got ridiculed often - for proper use of funds, even returning unused money - but always felt proud in not letting people booze with that).

al_gates
20th October 2011, 02:38 AM
We were in the common room watching the match in the terrific Australian channel (first time in life seeing such brilliant coverage, Richie Benaud's expert commentary etc) when there was a brief power failure :-( Ran to the room for a battery operated radio to continue with some tense moments when power came back. The TV room was packed, hot / sweating, with everyone holding their breath as asking run rate was climbing up. Richard Hadlee had a tight spell and was threatening to stop the glorious run of India. With what style Kapil settled the matter! (Yes, this was the match in which the veggie killed a seagull and was requesting veLLam and the competitive Hadlee objected, not giving any inch of comfort to the enemy).

Actually the seagull incident happened later that year, in Melbourne Test Dec 1985 and it was Border who refused it. And I doubt if Kapil was a veggie :-D

I recollect that semifinal vs NZ(March 5 1985), had come home from school at 3:30 and my family were rushing me out the door still in my school uniform as they decided to take the whole family out for an eye-test. Shastri just got out slogging and India were 117 in the 32nd over needed 90 more from 108 balls(a challenging task in those times). Kapil just got in as we left and later that night we tuned in to the 9pm AIR news that India made it. The next day's Hindu had Kapil and Vengsarkar congratulating each other after the winning hit(Caption: WE'VE DONE IT AND HOW!). I read in Gavaskar's book One Day Wonder that Kapil smashed 26 off Hadlee's last 2 overs and India got those 90 runs off 11 overs. In fact that Indian innings should be available on Youtube.

App Sir, just sneaked in to read your updates before a dentist visit and it was all worth it....as I could bring your narration to my mind's eye whenever I needed it :-D. I am so excitied that we're crossing into the 2nd half of 80s.

al_gates
20th October 2011, 02:43 AM
App Sir,
Just before Udaya Geetham's release, there was this Ranji trophy final between Delhi and Bombay which I am sure you and your friends must have followed over AIR(Apr 1-6 1985). More details here: http://thevictortrumpercricketboard.yuku.com/topic/2549

The Rothmans Cup happened Mar 22-29 followed by Ranji final, one week before tamil new year.

app_engine
20th October 2011, 02:52 AM
Actually the seagull incident happened later that year, in Melbourne Test Dec 1985 and it was Border who refused it. And I doubt if Kapil was a veggie :-D

appadiyA?

My bad memory :-(

During the whole WCC, they kept showing seagulls on the ground and with this match having max-Kapil focus, my mind mixed things up I think.

In any case, I didn't watch the seagull-kill on TV but only read in hindu but definitely watched those adichchu noRukkal of Hadlee.

What a shouting in our common room!

(It was a great time period when 4 of the all-time-top all-rounders where on cricketing scene. Kapil & Botham were the obviously better batsmen while Imran & Hadlee the slightly better (i.e. only by a small margin) bowlers.

All those four were exciting to watch and were a great inspiration for us in all games behind the hostel (regardless of whether regular cricket ball or tennis ball versions)!

app_engine
20th October 2011, 03:04 AM
The Rothmans Cup happened Mar 22-29 followed by Ranji final, one week before tamil new year.

That's why I'm getting reminded of it when writing about UG - thank you for the dates as we can uncover some brain wirings :-)

Rothman's wasn't on live telecast but they showed highlights and we were amazed at those 4 catches by Gavaskar.

al_gates
20th October 2011, 04:52 AM
App Sir and others,
I have lot of articles/photos/video clips of that WCC 85, plus that Rothmans Cup game vs Pak video highlights,plus a couple from the Ind-Eng series Dec 1984. If you need, I can upload it somewhere and pm you all. That game vs Pak, we were trying very hard to catch it over radio but the transmission was too noisy and we had to abandon it. It was Rajaram in the AIR 7:10pm Maanila Seidhigal who broke the news of the win. If it raises anyone's sense of nostalgia, I will be happy to contribute :D

app_engine
20th October 2011, 11:06 PM
App Sir and others,
I have lot of articles/photos/video clips of that WCC 85, plus that Rothmans Cup game vs Pak video highlights,plus a couple from the Ind-Eng series Dec 1984. If you need, I can upload it somewhere

Yes, it would be nice!

Also, hubbers in the SPORTS section would probably appreciate the information as well...

app_engine
20th October 2011, 11:35 PM
#182 மானே தேனே கட்டிப்புடி
(உதயகீதம், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3859'&lang=en)

Based on the info we got from Murali sir, each song of UG got penned by a different lyricist. And, we have the mAnE thEnE thingy in two songs :lol2: So, the statement of 'mAnE / thEnE ellAm pOttukkagna' seems to be the norm of TFM during IR's peak. (May be even before and after that time period).

One imaginary conversation during UG composing (assuming the politician producer was present)...

rAsA to lyricist # 1 : aNNE, indha meterkku oru pAttu
lyricist #1: mAnE thEnE kattippudi
producer : pramAdham, ippadiyE irukkattum

rAsA (thinking - 'illEnnA Auto varum') - AmANNE romba kachchidhamA irukku

rAsA to lyricist # 2: idhu oru menmaiyAna thAlAttu aNNE
lyricist # 2 : thEnE thenpANdi meenE
producer : deiveegam, keep it!

rAsA (thinking - 'eppudi ellArum sathi paNrAngO, hmmm, EdhAchchum instrumentalla shape paNNa vENdiyathu thAn') - nallA irukku saar...

Before next song, during the interval, meets the lyricist # 3 in the rest room, 'sAr, eppadiyAchchum indha mAn thEn illAma ezhudhunga sAr'

Back to composing...

rAsA to L #3 : idhu dhAn tune

L # 3 : pAdu nilAvE thEn kavidhai

rAsA (thalaiyai pichchufying, but thinking of auto)...romba nallArukku sAr

Later asks L #3, 'nAn un kitta enna sonnEn'.

L #3 replies 'neenga sonnadhukkappuRam producer vandhu 'mAn' or 'thEn' illAtti pinneeruvEnnu solleettAr, nAn enna paNNa'

Interesting song, with the sweet mridhangam arrangement. Funny to watch on screen, what a number of ways to make fun of police in movies :lol:

app_engine
20th October 2011, 11:45 PM
After posting the above, got reminded that the sangeetha mEgham also does 'thEn' sindhal :-)

Murali Srinivas
21st October 2011, 12:09 AM
App, thanks. You are right. Pagal Nilavu came out only in July 1985.

But Plum, if you talk about Modern dress then Revathy was wearing that even in Oru Kaidhiyin diary that came out during Pongal 1985. Remember பொன் மானே கோபம் ஏனோ song sequence?

App, மானே தேனே கட்டிப்புடி had that inimitable SPB touch when after the rendering of the charanam he would sing the pallavi again with the words getting pronounced as மாமன் தோளை தொட்டு கடி.

Regards

baroque
21st October 2011, 03:29 AM
மானே தேனே கட்டிப்புடி
மாமன் தோள தொட்டுக்கடி ...

:redjump::bluejump::redjump:

I love Raja's playful mirudhangam.

Raja conjures the upbeat, playful mood with all his wind instruments, claps, chorus group singing etc...
good old ராஜா's குட்டி குட்டி flute calls :bluejump:

ஹே, ஜானு.....யு ஆர் sexy !

Wanna double the pleasure ... listen

முல்லை அரும்பே மெல்ல....தனிக்காட்டு ராஜா too.
tantalizing composition by Vasu & Janu.

Same jolly mood mirudhangam-violin Ilayaraja's special.

சூப்பர் app _eng!

middle of the day, இந்த மாதிரி ஒரு பாட்டு கேட்டா போதுமே....energy பறக்கும் rest of the day!

vinatha.

groucho070
21st October 2011, 06:38 AM
app :lol: Scenario very plausible. Biggest abuser of "mAnE, tEnE, pon_" has to be Valee. Not sure now who wrote the above ones, but later when Valee was heavily used (post Vairamuthu break-up), those words were everywhere.

KV
21st October 2011, 06:06 PM
App, lovely posts on some real gem of songs. :clap: And that mAnE-thEnE stuff was :lol:. Idhukku sila pEru rAsAva vEra erachchu kottuvAnga. :evil: (of course, we really don’t know what the truth is)
The college fest organizer (especially the main inter-college one) used to be the most sought-after post in my college. This generally led to several inter-dept scuffles, drunken brawls with hockey bats, clubs and stuff. In the first year I quite din’t understand the madness behind it. Then, some days after the fest, I saw the organizer dude riding a brand new bike! “There goes our fest fund” a friend commented. And this could be witnessed every year – upgrading of bikes, phones, watches, etc – ketta pasanga, all nasty vasool rajas. And amidst all this, we guys used to, like ambi pasangals, break our heads to organize the music shows, dumbcharades, quiz, etc., the prizes mostly being invaluable certificates! :lol: . In one of the rock competitions that we’d organized, the winners were gifted 1500 bucks as cash price. The band promptly rejected it saying it wouldn’t even be enough for their drinks that night! :oops: And the fest organizer sported a brand new gold bracelet that year :evil:

app_engine
21st October 2011, 09:04 PM
nanRi Murali sir, baroque, groucho & KV!

Remember பொன் மானே கோபம் ஏனோ song sequence?

adhlayum mAnE :lol2:

KV,
From what I've seen/heard during our days , none of those office bearers enriched themselves but spent all the extra money lavishly for their mates. (After the Festember in our final year, there was a party behind the Sapphire hostel. It was reported that IMFL was kept in "buckets" for the Attam-pAttam of the crowd.)

genesis
21st October 2011, 09:49 PM
app :lol: Scenario very plausible. Biggest abuser of "mAnE, tEnE, pon_" has to be Valee. Not sure now who wrote the above ones, but later when Valee was heavily used (post Vairamuthu break-up), those words were everywhere.

பாவம் கோவை தம்பி, பாவம் வாலி. இதுக்கு முன்னாடி வந்த, பின்னாடி வந்த கோவை தம்பி படங்களில் "மானே தேனே" அந்த அளவுக்கு இருக்குற மாதிரி தெரியல.... வாலி கூட ரஹ்மானுக்கு எழுதும் போது "மானே தேனே" அதிகமா இல்லை.... எனக்கென்னமோ தயாரிப்பாளர், பாடலாசிரியர் எல்லாரும் வேற யாரையோ அனுசரிச்சு போற மாதிரி தோணுது..... வேற யாரா இருக்கும்? பிடிபட மாட்டேங்குதே!!??

genesis
21st October 2011, 10:20 PM
I was just listening to Hello FM and they have a VM special going on for sometime. Just before playing national award winning "Veeti Veru Vaasam" song, VM mentioned the first line "Vetti Veru Vasam Vedalaipulla Nesam" had been taken from some Srilankan folk song. IR had used these words for the beginning of the mettu and VM just developed rest of the song. (So there is some truth in what IR told to the press about VM getting national award for this song).

On the same lines, I do not have to think much to guess who wrote "Maane Thene Kattipudi"

al_gates
21st October 2011, 10:26 PM
வாலி கூட ரஹ்மானுக்கு எழுதும் போது "மானே தேனே" அதிகமா இல்லை....

That is because Wally, sorry Vaali, learnt English by then.

App Sir,
I promise this is my last digression to cricket:smile2: You didnt mention the last over of the NZ innings. Lance Cairns hit Madanlal to deep wicket and Srikkanth waiting for a while under the skier before dropping it. Gavaskar was disappointed with the outcome. Next ball was a replay with Cairns lofting it, Srikkanth reaching out too early and the ball bounced over him and into the fence. Gavaskar was really pissed now and sent Srikkanth marching to fine leg in order to hide him from the ball. However, Cairns swung the next ball high to fine leg and this time Srikkanth finally caught it after a long wait. There were several kgs of relief on his face once he safely caught it.

Maybe you and your collegemates missed this incident as this could have happened in your lunch time :smile2:

app_engine
21st October 2011, 11:18 PM
#183 உதய கீதம் பாடுவேன், உயிர்களை நான் தொடுவேன்
(உதயகீதம், 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3864'&lang=en)

It sometimes fascinates me that people who don't believe in accountability to a supreme being (and hence no belief in "after life") too indulge in charitable works, as much as their opposite camp :-) Altruism seems to be part of human genome / DNA. While this song's situation is not exactly related to altruism, at the minimum, the singer wants to be beneficial to another human before his life gets terminated. And, is it not a fact that all humans face definite termination - with just the answers to questions such as when / how much time left only being different ? :-)

Well, while not as unselfish as my dad, me too have a humble history in this regard. If we limit to college days / activities, I'm reminded of the NSS stuff. (Though I wanted to become a soldier in the military during middle school days - heavily inspired by seeing dad in the 'home guard' uniform and his close friend, a towering police official, who called me 'anbu marumagan' who later on served as an inspiration to director of gentleman, I switched to 'love your enemies' policy in high school. Ofcourse, did serve as a boy scout in school but in college, NCC was a strict NO and NSS was the alternative).

Interestingly, the name of our hostel's NSS-chief was, "Isai arasan" :-) No wonder we both were like 'eechchai & chakkappazham'. Well, we had planted 1000's of saplings, collected loads of clothes / classified / distributed at times of flood and such things. In addition, we had fun too - in an "adopted" village which was near Padalur in the Trichy-Madras highway. It was an evening of conducting entertainment to the villagers (song / dance / skit). The same "bread" bus taking us there and back. Memorable days!

Very soulful song, excellent singing by SPB and tabla playing havoc to one's heart! The interludes create a very strong emotion as well (flute at the end of first interlude is simply goosebump stuff)! A song that can evoke strong waves of thinking, like, why so much suffering, what is the purpose of life, what do I want to do with the remaining time of my life etc!

V_S
22nd October 2011, 07:21 AM
App,
Kalakkal post on 'Maane ThEne Kattipudi' :lol:, and totally contrasting yet moving post on the title song! Great to hear about your social/charitable activities. Definitely those are special and unforgettable moments. Well narrated and very true! Only I can salute you! :notworthy: I can now remember you whenever I listen to this song!

app_engine
23rd October 2011, 05:24 AM
nanRi, V_Sji!

One movie with all-SPB show of 1985 is done and the next one will also be an all-SPB show...this one with a biggie actor :-)

app_engine
23rd October 2011, 06:04 AM
mAnE thEnE kattippudi youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIX76KIh38U&amp;feature=related

baroque
23rd October 2011, 06:16 AM
couple of more times... MAANE THENE KATTIPPUDI.... CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF 80S ILAYARAJA :-D you make me happy!

ரேவதி very homely, long hair ஒத்தப்பின்னல் with குதிரை வால் குஞ்சலம் ... I used to wear during my school years (1984 ) too.

nanRi, V_Sji!

One movie with all-SPB show of 1985 is done and the next one will also be an all-SPB show...this one with a biggie actor :-)

mmmm.... Uyarndha Ullam or Vikram?

Both films have Shri.Yesudas's hit song, Vikram has Kamal sings for Ilayaraja too.

I was listening to Vikram this morning while driving, wondering, when did Shri.Bala sung for Kamal in Ilayaraja's music lastly?

mmm... Heyram, Virumandi, MEx don't have S.P.Bala compositions:???:

90s tamil cinema obsessed with Hariharan.

enna padam?

TREAT ME:redjump:, APP_ENG
vinatha

Plum
23rd October 2011, 07:19 AM
SPB sang for Potharaju(telugu dubbing of Viruman). Ninnu thappa a.k.a unna vida

baroque
23rd October 2011, 08:04 AM
thanks, plum.

nuvvu thappa.....

mmm....
மௌனமே பார்வையாய் ....வித்யாசாகர்.
சுவாசமே....தென்னாலி....ரஹ்மான்.
2000 + வருடங்களில் பாலா தமிழில் இவ்வளவுதான் பாடி இருக்கா for கமல் movies :???:.

பஞ்ச தந்திரம் , பம்மல் சம்பந்தம் ..etc ஒரு ஒரு பாட்டு நினைப்பு இருக்கு, non-SPB for Kamal...அவ்வளவுதான்.

forget it

anyway...
80s இளையராஜா நம்மை பஞ்சத்துல வளர்க்கவில்லை......ராஜாவே சரணாகதி!:ty:

What film next?

vinatha.

Murali Srinivas
23rd October 2011, 02:18 PM
Vinatha,

It is Khakki Sattai.

App, sorry for letting out the suspense.

Regards

app_engine
23rd October 2011, 10:02 PM
Murali sir is right, it's 'thakadu-thakadu' :-)

I'm not very sure if I'll get time to post during weekend (sakadharmini is tougher than office bosses :lol:)

Divine22
24th October 2011, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the infor Murali sir, ;)

App Sir, ninge sonnathukku apperom thaan I noticed literally all the songs in the movie has maane, thene,,,, appadi oru sol panjamo antha season la ? :laugh:

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy Deepavali, Intha teeba thirunaal unggal illangalilum, ullangalilum, vaazhvilum oli etrattum.... Mangala Deepavali Nalvaazhthukkal....

Going for a week long vacation. Have a good time, Vanakam...

Plum
24th October 2011, 04:37 PM
App, some bosses are more difficult than sakhadharmini. Currently I am going through one so I vehemently disagree

KV
24th October 2011, 05:18 PM
Bosses, in most cases, especially women, are a perennial pain in the wrong places: sAgA-adharminIs.

app_engine
24th October 2011, 06:11 PM
nanRi, Divine22!

Plum & KV :lol:

(BTW, bosses change, like the change I had last month for the better...well, even we can decide to change the boss, in many situations...OTOH, pathni is for life and I better comply with the requirements :wink:)

app_engine
24th October 2011, 07:04 PM
#184 பட்டுக்கன்னம் தொட்டுக்கொள்ள ஒட்டிக்கொள்ளும்
(காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 , சுசீலாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1297'&lang=en)

groucho recently responded to request of hubbers (Plum, me) to post his Kamal analysis (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2011/10/perilous-journey-of-kamal-fans.html) which is quite interesting. Especially the MGR-vArisu part and this portion is directly relevant to our songs 184-188 :

Kakkichattai was a cop movie produced by MGR’s company, and there was no shortage of MGR posters in the film, and Kamal even prays to a still of a cop character played by MGR.

My personal take on Kamal's journey :

He started off as Gemini's kid (Kalathur KaNNamma / pArthAl pasi theerum) and pretty much shaping as his 'vArisu' (kAdhal mannan v/s kadhal iLavarasan) until early seventies - doing either lover boy-isms or manmadha leelai's in crowded movies (not counting Malayalam ones). Or neechchal theriyAtha paridhAbam case in moonRu mudichchu, generally seeking romance or anudhAbam.

Though 16 V too started off in that 'anudhAbam' mode, thanks to his heavily drawing inspiration from NT (who too had a few in a similar 'handicap-anudhAbam' mode in the past) and the radically different setting from his prior ventures, he got a huge patti-thotti reach as a kadhAnayakan at last! So, 16V of Kamal proved him to be the NT-vArisu :-) Well, he went on to do some terrific, image-breaking, varied roles in the next few years to be a actor / star on his own (sigappu rOjAkkaL, avaL appadiththAn, marO charitra, for e.g. - I don't think there was any vArisu business in those biggies).

Alas, there came this SKV and he was in the MGR-mode for a few years in TF, that was, till nAyakan. (Ofcourse the great sAgarasangamam / swAthi muthyam happened in TeF during that time period. It was reported that KH didn't want swAthimuthyam to be dubbed in TF and disturb his effort to build a macho image there...per gossips, he was even upset with SPB for 'dubbing').

Well, this "uniform" movie was from that period in which KH was magnanimous to give a good deal of space to Satyaraj (even imitating him of the adukkuththodar, 'police-police'). Rajasekar possibly made this movie per RMV specs (Sathya movies) and together they made a MGR-JJ movie with KH-ambi chEchi :-) This song strongly reminds me of paruvam enathu pAdal (Ayirathil oruvan) and both have been playing in my mind during the weekend - though there're no similarities in tune or orchestration - just the "overall feel" & PS factor.

That way, 'pattukkannam' is an IR song for MGR-JJ :-) While JJ excels in dance, chEchi is the opposite. Ofcourse, KH is a great dancer and as Venkkiram mentions in the KH thread in the TF section, he fits into any "foreign" costume as good as or better than MGR.

While this song totally belongs to PS (what a singing, the way she streches the last syllable of kannam, koLLa, koLLum - sweeeet), SPB has his inimitable laughter at the end of the first saraNam which sweetly syncs with the thALam! IR was in a roller-coaster mode with terrific orchestration / rhythm arrangement for this song that had a killer of a tune! One can never get tired of listening to this number!

V_S
24th October 2011, 09:10 PM
Grouch, Wonderful recap of all Kamal films with your master touch, with all details. App, your summarization was very cute.
Felt like I was going to back to that period and coming all the way to present. Thank you! :D

I vaguely remember not getting tickets in Devi/Sathyam and rushed all the way to Albert in Egmore, I think, and finally managed to get tickets. We weren't so impressed overall with the movie when we came out, except for the songs, Kamal, Ambika, Madhavi and Sathyaraj.

app_engine
24th October 2011, 09:40 PM
#185 வானிலே தேனிலா ஆடுதே பாடுதே
வானம்பாடி ஆகலாமா?
(காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1300'&lang=en)

My most fav song from this album at the time of arrival :-) Though still a strong favourite, pattukkannam has overtaken this over the years. What a terrific shift from pallavi to saraNam in this song! And the rhythm arrangement for the pallavi! And the variations in the strings thru out the song! And the sweet humming in the second interlude with the drummer having a field day with his "dishes" (a big fav for me in such rAsA songs)! And the thuLLal tune and equally jumpy singing by my fav pair!

This song is another example of what comes out of IR's mind when he was probably on a very jolly, happy, carefree mood! Actually the whole album is such a sweet treat and I have a strong suspicion that either thangamagan or kAkkichchattai got some numbers that rAsA composed for MGR's 'unnai vida mAttEn' (There was front page news report in dinathanthi, some pictures of IR-MGR together, MV reportedly singing a song etc but the project never took off as MGR continued as CM till the end of his life, but these two Sathya movies' songs had strong MGR-flavour IMO).

There is no doubt, however, that MGR couldn't have given any inputs to these Sathya movies projects, definitely not kAkkichchattai as he was very sick by then. (I remember very clearly the tragedy striking both MGR & Indira in the same month of Oct 1984. I had an "inplant-training" in the BHEL's EDP at that time. I don't remember how I managed to get in there but it was quite an interesting experience with those "refrigerator-like" mainframe computer centers with tons of perforated papers getting printed by line printers. We wrote some COBOL programs though it wasn't in our regular syllabus and had some really nice time. It was the last day of our IPT that we had to walk back to hostel from BHEL because Indira got killed and there were no buses. The same night I had to go to Palayankottai for a personal function and a hostelmate dropped me off in cycle to Tiruverumbur Rly station. Took a local train to TPJ from there, waited the whole night for the Nellai express that finally came and reached me by almost 24 hours late to the destination getting into some stone-throwing on the way etc...unforgettable moments).

The whole album was a big hit and it was always a big treat to listen to these numbers on buses...

baroque
24th October 2011, 09:46 PM
oh..KAKKI SATTAI.
Thanks MS & app_eng.

adadaa....

You boss means it App_eng.

Your girl just wants you to want to be there with her, not really want you to be with herஎல்லாத்தையும் விட்டு விட்டு , weekend பூரா

She is a big girl. She is fine.

Understand, it's the thought , App-eng. மனசால close ஆ இருக்கறது.

weekend பூரா வீட்டுல, மனைவி பின்னாலே hang around பண்ணி Don 't annoy the girl, app_eng.

She is fine.

Your boss means it. This economy, you don't want to risk it.:shaking:
then your girl will be a big problem for you:shaking:

What the hell! you and your Ir kahanies cost my comforts and peace of mind!

புரிஞ்சுதோ

I will return to your song soon...:)

vinatha.

app_engine
24th October 2011, 10:08 PM
V_S & baroque,

:-)

Now that I've taken care of the backlog, can breathe a little bit before posting the song for today :-)

app_engine
25th October 2011, 01:18 AM
#186 கண்மணியே பேசு, மௌனம் என்ன கூறு
(காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1296'&lang=en)

The song starts with a terrific, mangaLa shenoy sound and ventures into flute / strings and veeNai before SPB pours honey into our ears. Combined with the sweet tabla accompaniment and SJ humming, the prelude + pallavi alone is a main course meal. Everything that comes after are surplus goodies that keep making one fat. What a richee rich song! This one is a quintessential example of how to make a commercially successful song that is rich is musical quality but without any necessity for extraordinary innovation :wink: Trade mark IR song. For some reason, whenever I hear the recent 'swapnangaL kaNNezhudhiya' for a Sathyan Anthikkad movie, I get reminded of kaNmaNiyE pEsu, enna connectionO theriyalai.

Possibly the most tolerable song on screen as per my memory (no dance business I think and chEchi was not ugly). The most broadcast song as radio stations seemed to love this. Likewise, very popular on buses / teakkadais and audio recorders as well. With the typical tablA-bass-chords combo that could be called signature IR, this song is such a delight for night time listening (headphone & bed).

I remember watching this movie in a big theater in Trichy (Maris?) and it was a big success. Ofcourse I got bored and was feeling bad for Kamal after watching this movie (most other hostelmates who watched with me were more vocal in scolding him). But then, I had no reason to complain because IR had such a sweet array of laddoos for this - that could be enjoyed for years:-) All in the sweet voice of SPB :-)

Any time I hear this song, the instant reminder is the NSB road of 80's - from the main guard gate to thEradi bazaar - the crowded TeppakkuLam area / Saradhas / burma bazaar shops / the phenomenally economical stuff one can shop for / the Chinthamani super market / the Jothis tailoring where my chithappA (chithi's hubby whom I talked about earlier, a music system aficionado) got his safari's done (Virudhu patti-la irundhu inga vandhu thaippAru) / the entrance to malaikkOttai / the upstairs Vasantha Bhavan...all keep coming to mind so brightly! Things kept changing over the years, by 2003 a major portion of the road got annexed by Saradhas and Mangal...there was still some charm in the area but nothing like the 80's IMO...

rajkumarc
25th October 2011, 01:32 AM
Wonderful writeup App for Udhayageetham and Kaakki Chattai. One can never get tired of listening to the songs from these albums. Nice perspective on Kamal's early career graph.

app_engine
25th October 2011, 02:19 AM
nanRi rajkumarc!

kaNmaNiyE pEsu youtube
(Kamal teaching "how to samALichchify an angry GF")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_CxY36xQrk

app_engine
25th October 2011, 02:23 AM
vAnilE thEnilA AduthE youtube
(looks like Kochi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEnK8zbS8xQ

app_engine
25th October 2011, 02:37 AM
I guess pattukkannam video can be classified as PG-13 material (at least PG stuff- well, many MGR songs were like that anyways)...not posting the link here...

rajeshkrv
25th October 2011, 03:23 AM
udhaya geetham - Vaali wrote Thene thenpandi meene.
Maane thene should by GA

baroque
25th October 2011, 07:00 AM
fantastic job , App _eng ,:thumbsup:

there is no place like சத்திரம் பஸ் stand - மெயின் guard கேட்.

if it is not for her father's பதவி பேராசை , சூழ்ச்சி and பழிக்குப் பழி ,
இலட்சுமி பட்டத்து ராணியா இந்த நுழைவாயில் வழியா பல்லக்குலே வலம் வந்து இருப்பா ..what a heart break ! Heart bleeds man!:cry2:

விஸ்வநாதநாயக்கர் , லக்ஷ்மி காதல் sacrifices , நாயக் dynasty 's contributions to திருச்சி architectural works பற்றி எப்போ பிலிம் எடுக்க போறாங்க?

Suhani Raat Dhal Chuki Na Jaane Tum Kab Aaoge......கண்மணியே பேசு மௌனம் என்ன கூறு?:musicsmile:

ராகம் பஹடி improvisation .

Rafi and பாலா.. evocative voices of the century ! :clap:
Indian cinema music:ty:

I will return back to your thread tonight for the rest of the compositions.

Vinatha.

groucho070
25th October 2011, 01:57 PM
App, thanks for recalling our conversation and respond to Kamal's piece to our readers here. So kind of you. V_S, all for us hubbers, thanks.

And wow, Kakkichattai, one of my favourite of Kamal's total masala. Seed to liking Sathyaraj planted here, not only me but so many others of our generation. And here's where you guys are going to be totally uncomfortable, the favourite song of mine in this film is not reviewed/revisited yet here. HA! A sexy number that none but only SPB can pull off! Eat that Robert Plant. I am eagerly waiting (therefore building pressure) on your take, app. Jaaaakiratha.....okay, just kidding :razz:, seriously love to know what you and folks surrounding you and their take on it.

Plum
25th October 2011, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah poo potta dhavani Grouch. That's SPB on steroids - with even Janaki struggling to catch up.Yeah, the standout song from the album

groucho070
25th October 2011, 05:01 PM
Yup.

I hope it's not dismissed as sinunggal mununggal song. There's technical brilliance to it that we need to look at it despite the gigantic vocal overshadowing. The jazzy twang, the feel of over-the-edge driving of Aston Martin DB5 at those lonely roads down a Switzerland mountain, and again Raja unleashes James Bond-ish sound that has been sadly been missing the last 22 years in actual Bond films.

app_engine
25th October 2011, 08:55 PM
yw, groucho!

kaRROrukku senRa idamellAm siRappu :-)

nanRi baroque!

Interesting to see the brief info on historical background of MGG...can you please write some details? My knowledge is zero on this. (Going by the names such as "cantonment, promenade road, west bouleward road, toll gate, main guard gate" etc, I thought it was an East India Company establishment...don't know much about the local warriors associated with the fort...my association with Trichy was / is during & after college days and never cared for the history of the place except the chOzhar kAlam...)

app_engine
25th October 2011, 09:00 PM
BTW, pooppOtta dAvaNi is a personal favourite as well and it used to fight for top spot with vAnilE during college days (how come rAsA does a lot of special work for munakal songs :shock: For e.g., one of his best-ever-rhythms was for ponmEni)!

However, today's song will be the SPB solo :wink:

app_engine
25th October 2011, 09:45 PM
#187 நம்ம சிங்காரி சரக்கு நல்ல சரக்கு
(காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1299'&lang=en)

One of those 100's of dappAnguththu songs that could have possibly taken only a few minutes for IR to compose the mettu. The mettu also gets played out in shenoy in the end. Free usage of shenoy here and there as is the norm with rAsA for such numbers. People still care about this song only because it had Kamal on screen, IMO. Or, may be because SPB gave a lot of extra embellishments ( the way he says kickku -pause -enakku in the middle of the song is fantastic).

Never a personal favourite, despite my awe for the way SPB has delivered this number. Absolutely hated the scene when watching the movie (and never want to revisit on youtube or anywhere).

However, no questions on the hit status of the song - heard everywhere in TN during its time. So, finds a place in this listing exercise. Also, reduces my burden of writing a lot about a song (and a big help today with some work pressure :lol2:)

app_engine
25th October 2011, 09:48 PM
BTW, Vikram repeated this scene after 2 decades in Samy.

No wonder because Samy is a Hari movie / Kavidhalaya production.

baroque
26th October 2011, 01:47 AM
:)

Krishna Devaraya of Vijayanagara Empire appointed Viswanatha Nayaka as Madurai viceroy.

Viswanathan , just like The Great Krishna Devarayar, a great national statesman, App_eng.

He is very loyal to kingdom and he sacrificed his personal life for the welfare of the kingdom.

தன்னோட love & dedication for kingdom 's welfare , தன்னோட தந்தையை - நாகம நாயக்கரை சிறை இட்டு வந்தவர்.

சாளுவ நரசிம்மர் பதவி ஆசையால் தன்னோட தந்தை நாகம நாயக்கரை use பண்ணினவரின் சூழ்ச்சிப் plans defeat பண்ணினார்.

Viswanatha Pandiyar built the தெப்பக்குளம் , Rock fort temple சுற்றி இருக்கற மதில் சுவர் etc..

That entrance was named as Main guard Gate when British ruled us.

mmm.. now you are in love with viswanathan too?:)

நிச்சயமா handsome ஆ இருந்து இருப்பா .. அகத்தின் அழகு முகத்தில் தெரியும்!http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

லக்ஷ்மி, வினதா என்று இன்னும் எத்தனைப் பெண்களின் மனதை கவர்ந்து இருக்காரோ with his honesty, gentleness, loyalty, bravery, able governance!

vinatha

baroque
26th October 2011, 06:38 AM
I will return back tonight to treat myself with this thread 's நாயகன்'s partnership with இளையராஜா , another prominent தெலுங்கு fellow , dazzling in தமிழ் & beyond forever! :-D

thanks, app_eng

vinatha.

genesis
26th October 2011, 07:47 PM
#187 நம்ம சிங்காரி சரக்கு நல்ல சரக்கு
(காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1299'&lang=en)

Correct song selection for Deepavali. Tamil newspapers claiming record sale at TASMAC for this Deepavali.

Happy Deepavali for the great IR-SPB thread lead and his fans!!

app_engine
26th October 2011, 11:11 PM
nanRi, baroque, for the write-up!

genesis,
:lol2:

kiru
26th October 2011, 11:21 PM
baroque/vinatha, thanks for the history lesson. Wasn't there a small ice-cream shop by name Michaels's around that area ? First time I ever saw an ice-cream scoop with spring-action release. Rode in the pillion of my cousin brother's Lambretta scooter from ponmalai railway quarters to malaikkottai as a kid during my summer vacations (very hot, not the right place) to my periamma's place in trichy.

app_engine
27th October 2011, 12:35 AM
#188 பூப்போட்ட தாவணி
(காக்கிச்சட்டை, 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1298'&lang=en)

With a terrific trumpet / chorus / synthetic sounds prelude, this song was instantly catchy when arrived. It was full of thuLLal music, with IR working extra time IMO to pack a number of extra tricks that he always did for his munagal songs. Ofcourse the singer pair made things a lot easier for him (I can't imagine how IR would've LOL'ed at the console when Mano / KSC "sang" sivarAththiri. That MMKR number called for MV or SPB with SJ. The Mr Prayer & Miss Serious combo made it extremely funny sounding, despite the kiLu-kiLu music that IR built for that).

The fact that no Silukku or equivalent got used for dAvaNi gave the song some extra "this thing" at the time of arrival. There was hostel talk that Madhavi was brought-in to do things similar to what she did with Chiranjeevi in a Telugu movie called "kaidi". Some "milk relation" stuff in dance form, it seems, like what she does with Kamal here. I don't think Kamal had any "censor-kodumai" during this time period :wink:

BTW, I didn't get a chance to view that kaidi movie. Actually, I never had a chance to view any Chiranjeevi Telugu movie so far. Have no plans either, after watching two Thamizh movies of him - 47 days & rANuva veeran (both in college audi). Those were enough.

Hmmm, thinking of Telugu movies, the total number of Telugu direct / dubbed movies I've ever watched are only 6 :shock: Sankarabaranam & Meghasandesam - both direct, classics! Sankarabaranam in college audi, thoroughly impressed. Meghasandesam in the Allwyn fridge factory guest house @ Nandalur near Kadappa - and was simply blown away. Classmates on DVD recently, bought it thinking that it was a Malayalam movie but found to be Telugu when played...continued watching. It was ok with a lot of FF.

Except Meghasandesam, no movie did I watch during any of my many trips to Telungu desam. Kannada film experience is even worse, watched only one movie despite 100's of trips to Bangalore. That one too, was by mistake - thinking that it was some other English movie and realized only after it was screened. Couldn't tolerate after half-hour or so and walked out.

Two of the dubbing ones are not difficult to guess - Kamal / IR / KV stuff, one of which we've already discussed in this thread and the other one should come soon. The third one was MR / IR stuff with the 'ever-unhappy-looking' hubby of Amala on screen. How come many such beautiful / talented / top-notch / popular / successful / rich actresses end up as "chinna veedu"s - Savithri, Sridevi, Jayapradha, Hemamalini, Amala for e.g - mystery of Indian film world.

Obviously the most popular / talked about song of this movie at the hostel.

baroque
27th October 2011, 01:39 AM
oh.. thanks Kiru.:) veyilaavadhu, mazhai aavadhu... We love that place.

My father worked at Golden Rock, The South Indian Railways, Trichy.

ரயில்வே family passes உண்டு, முன்னாடியே cottage எல்லாம் புக் பண்ணி, எங்கப்பா எங்களை எல்லா இடத்துக்கும் அழைச்சுண்டு போவா!:-D

Good App-eng continues,

though I am stuck in the

rise and fall melody of Vaanile thenilaa.... with strings exuberance, humming & bass guitar, prelude jazzy keys.. forever!
Wow, What a joy!:happydance:

80s Ilayaraja:bluejump: I am digging this visual- IR's photo for his songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqTFhEY_FLY

thanks, App_eng... You are THE BEST host ever at tfmpage!
vinatha.

app_engine
27th October 2011, 02:49 AM
Wasn't there a small ice-cream shop by name Michaels's around that area ?

Yes, ofcourse, near the Teppakkulam post office on WB road ...when we students were low on funds, switched to Michaels (instead of Sea Kings) :-) Their vanillA was so inexpensive but one should be prepared for ice pellets :-)

app_engine
27th October 2011, 02:57 AM
nanRi baroque for your nice words!

With # 188, police uniform is finished...

I'll probably finish up all biggies of this year first - that way, let me do a Rajinikanth movie next, that had 3 SPB numbers :-)

baroque
27th October 2011, 03:16 AM
Good for you, App_eng.
Enjoyed roaming around with your friends with a pocket full of money!:)

Vinatha.

groucho070
27th October 2011, 08:50 AM
app, I love Kamal's dance in Singgari Sarakku. Graceful dappangguttu, I'd say. Also, the lines got censored here and there. Too lazy to highlight.One of the films fault lies here. At one time, Kamal is merrily singing and dancing (and drinking of course), and then suddenly the man gets violent tossing unlit molotov cocktails overturning autorickshaw, Hulk range-la poyiduvaru :lol2:. Antha timelayE we were "What the...".

Thanks for bringing us back to that time, app. We brothers then used to call it Katkitkot (sound the cartoon Transformers make, apparently to our young ears), and Kamal fanaticism was at feverish high.

V_S
27th October 2011, 09:26 AM
"The Mr Prayer & Miss Serious combo made it extremely funny sounding" :lol:.

While listening to these songs by SPB and SJ and admire the grace with which they sing and take them to newer unknown heights, it is hard not to compare with other singers and their performances. Even if we accept Mano and Chitra for these kind of situations, imagining 'Poo potta dhavani' or 'Singaari sarakku' is sung by the great singers of today. Many have sweet voices, classically trained and everything, but no one can bring out that sensation what SPB and SJ had brought out. It's all done for us and we are absolutely gifted to listen to these gems 'suda chuda' when the songs got released.

groucho070
27th October 2011, 09:58 AM
V_S, yes....we were fortunate indeed. Okay, time to visit the other thread, see you there.

*waiting for Params to come and grab the Mano part, and beat the dead snake so hard that it becomes alive again*

app_engine
27th October 2011, 07:00 PM
V_S, yes....we were fortunate indeed. Okay, time to visit the other thread, see you there.

*waiting for Params to come and grab the Mano part, and beat the dead snake so hard that it becomes alive again*

(app in dharumi mode as for as "sivan" is concerned : avan vara mAttAn, nAn dhAn indha maNdapaththula ukkAndhu saththam pOttukkittu irukkaNum)

genesis
27th October 2011, 10:11 PM

(app in dharumi mode as for as "sivan" is concerned : avan vara mAttAn, nAn dhAn indha maNdapaththula ukkAndhu saththam pOttukkittu irukkaNum)

பரம் சமீபத்துல வந்த அவன் இவன் படத்தை பார்த்திருப்பார்... "என்னடா இது, இந்த அம்பிகா (சேச்சி) அம்மாவோட ரசிகர்கள் கூடவா சகவாசம் வச்சிருக்கிறோம்" அப்பிடீன்னு பயந்து போய் ஓடி போய்ட்டார். (அப்பு, இது வரைக்கும் பார்க்கலன்னா, நீங்க தயவு செஞ்சு "அவன் இவன்" பார்க்க வேண்டாம். ஒரு மோசமா படத்தை தவிர்த்த மாதிரியும் இருக்கும், நீங்க அம்பிகா சேச்சி மேல வச்சிருக்கிற அபிமானமும் குறையாது)

genesis
27th October 2011, 10:33 PM
"The Mr Prayer & Miss Serious combo made it extremely funny sounding" :lol:.

While listening to these songs by SPB and SJ and admire the grace with which they sing and take them to newer unknown heights, it is hard not to compare with other singers and their performances. Even if we accept Mano and Chitra for these kind of situations, imagining 'Poo potta dhavani' or 'Singaari sarakku' is sung by the great singers of today. Many have sweet voices, classically trained and everything, but no one can bring out that sensation what SPB and SJ had brought out. It's all done for us and we are absolutely gifted to listen to these gems 'suda chuda' when the songs got released.

Eventhough I like "Poo Potta Dhavani" song for it energy and style, I am totally against mukkal, munagal songs - IMO, they are disgusting and insult of femal sexuality. I can not forgive IR/SJ for producing such songs - especially SKV Nila Kayudhu song. I am relly not sure who started this trend. Good relief, it died in late 80s. There are lot of other ways to convey the similar feelings in a song w/o mukkal and mungals. I have 2 examples by the same IR/SPB/SJ/KH combo from the same year.

1) Vanithamani Vanamohini (very much like Poo Potta Dhavani)
2) Meendum Meendum Vaa (Comparable to wonderful "Theendai Enai Theendai" by SPB/Chitra/ARR)

Chitra by choice did not do mukkal munagal songs. IMHO, Chitra is no less compared to SPB/PS/SJ in bringing emotions in songs.

jaiganes
27th October 2011, 10:45 PM
Eventhough I like "Poo Potta Dhavani" song for it energy and style, I am totally against mukkal, munagal songs - IMO, they are disgusting and insult of femal sexuality. I can not forgive IR/SJ for producing such songs - especially SKV Nila Kayudhu song. I am relly not sure who started this trend. Good relief, it died in late 80s. There are lot of other ways to convey the similar feelings in a song w/o mukkal and mungals. I have 2 examples by the same IR/SPB/SJ/KH combo from the same year.

1) Vanithamani Vanamohini (very much like Poo Potta Dhavani)
2) Meendum Meendum Vaa (Comparable to wonderful "Theendai Enai Theendai" by SPB/Chitra/ARR)

Chitra by choice did not do mukkal munagal songs. IMHO, Chitra is no less compared to SPB/PS/SJ in bringing emotions in songs.
small clarification.. the sanga kaala mukkal of "theendaai " was not by chitra - only the carnatic style singing was by chitra and spb.
for your held opinion against, "mukkal" songs, kindly visit the "erotica" thread and get janma saabalyam and theLivu (enga aalu Burger King kitta irukku ungalukku.. ;-) )
The trend started, I believe with all the Cabaret songs of 70s and ever since the "boldness" quotient increased, like any superior concept that came before, the erotica of TFM also got polluted. At the same time I dont want it to be forecefully sanitized and dripped out of its core emotion by cultural phenyling. Film playback singing is film playback singing - it lives with the context and dies with the same context - romba deeppaa idhai eduthukkappadaadhunnen. Meesik and lyrics are takeaways but not in an extreme generic case.. Eppdi veedu varai uravu paattai contextoda eduthukkaromo - adhe maadhiri thaan "nela kaayudhu" vum..

app_engine
27th October 2011, 11:31 PM
#189 காந்தி தேசமே, காவல் இல்லையா?
(நான் சிகப்பு மனிதன், 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2204'&lang=en)

I remember posting about this song in the 'last heard' thread sometime back after watching a Visu program on Jaya TV. In that program, its saraNam got so powerfully used to pizhinjify people's emotions on day-to-day troubles. While that was done to get political mileau (which they did get, going by the huge victory during the subsequent elections) and I personally felt this one worked great as a propaganda song at current conditions, I wasn't impressed at all when it originally arrived. Ofcourse, even now I won't compare this with any of MSV/KVM-MGR numbers that had the majestic voice of TMS. SPB had been and will be a "boy" in my mind forever :-)

Actually, rAsA himself didn't do many majestic propaganda / political numbers anyways (an occasional manithA manithA / gAndhi dEsamE notwithstanding). His era had been mostly soft / romantic / sweet-on-ears / human relationships kinds with relatively less focus on political troubles, vaRumaikkodumai and such stuff. Look at even nizhalkaL, supposedly taken to highlight unemployment, ended up having all romantic / sweet stuff:-)

Those odd successful ones that came during this era, like sattam oru iruttaRai , sivappu malli, thaNNeer^2, VNS - all went to other MDs. That MGR wasn't in the field and IR's not-so-great-working-relationship with TMS didn't help either. The net result is a severe lack of 'adhO andhappaRavai' kinds in his kitty, despite the kitty having a huge overall size.

This movie with the "robinhood" "vigilante" etc genre too got mostly romantic, soft & sweet numbers with just this exception. Even this one was a disappointment to me at the time of arrival. It definitely didn't meet the expectations of one whose childhood included running around in the school campus singing 'nenjam uNdu nErmai uNdu' with extra "horse sound" from the tongue :lol: BTW, nenjam uNdu was the first one in my voice ever to get recorded on a media (One day the school HM brought this new wonder to the school , the tape recorder, to the bewilderment of all of us. He demonstrated it to us by recording samples and I was among those to get the chance to sing).

Comparisons apart, this song with its trumpets + shenoy combo mixes excellently the muzhakkam with softer inner emotions. Obviously an IR speciality territory. His talent is unparallelled in making "heart-juice" with instrumental portions, an example of which is in the shenoy portion of interlude. SPB sings with a lot of feel as well which is not unusual. Meets iluppaippoo standards as far as political numbers are concerned :-)

app_engine
27th October 2011, 11:41 PM
நீங்க அம்பிகா சேச்சி மேல வச்சிருக்கிற அபிமானமும்

nAn eppO appidi sonnEn :confused:

The only movie I liked that had her was wOh sAt din and that one too was "despite" her :-)

I agree she was "not ugly" but never found a place in my fav books.

Ofcourse, her very talented sis was in :-)

V_S
28th October 2011, 03:07 AM
Film playback singing is film playback singing - it lives with the context and dies with the same context - romba deeppaa idhai eduthukkappadaadhunnen. Meesik and lyrics are takeaways but not in an extreme generic case.. Eppdi veedu varai uravu paattai contextoda eduthukkaromo - adhe maadhiri thaan "nela kaayudhu" vum..
Exactly, well said Jai! It is again another emotion shown in singing. There is no 'bad' emotion in singing, but I agree these are not for kids, I was only appreciating the composition and the singing skills of SPB-SJ which no other singers could even come close.

genesis
28th October 2011, 03:46 AM
small clarification.. the sanga kaala mukkal of "theendaai " was not by chitra - only the carnatic style singing was by chitra and spb.
for your held opinion against, "mukkal" songs, kindly visit the "erotica" thread and get janma saabalyam and theLivu (enga aalu Burger King kitta irukku ungalukku.. ;-) )
The trend started, I believe with all the Cabaret songs of 70s and ever since the "boldness" quotient increased, like any superior concept that came before, the erotica of TFM also got polluted. At the same time I dont want it to be forecefully sanitized and dripped out of its core emotion by cultural phenyling. Film playback singing is film playback singing - it lives with the context and dies with the same context - romba deeppaa idhai eduthukkappadaadhunnen. Meesik and lyrics are takeaways but not in an extreme generic case.. Eppdi veedu varai uravu paattai contextoda eduthukkaromo - adhe maadhiri thaan "nela kaayudhu" vum..

What context are you referring to you? The movie story line or situation? I can see there is context for Nila Kayudhu... I do not think there is any context for Poo Potta. If I go by your argument, is it acceptable to include porn for a first night scene? It is in context!!

V_S - Are you saying SPB/SJ are the best singers because they sang mukkal/munagal songs? Come on we have very talented singers very much comparable to SPB/SJ - TMS, PS, PBS, Chitra, KJY, Lata, Kishore, Rafi, Shreya are no less (to name few).

kiru
28th October 2011, 06:14 AM
Re: mukkal munagal songs - I think there can be only these reasons 1) IR thinks/wants to assert he can make any sound musical (note donkey braying or goat etc) 2) He wanted to do anything to stay on top commercially. He will justify this very easily. In my books, these are the kind of situations he is just a smart human being :-) other wise he is god :-)

V_S
28th October 2011, 07:04 AM
V_S - Are you saying SPB/SJ are the best singers because they sang mukkal/munagal songs? Come on we have very talented singers very much comparable to SPB/SJ - TMS, PS, PBS, Chitra, KJY, Lata, Kishore, Rafi, Shreya are no less (to name few).
No absolutely not. I think you got it wrong. I can never ever imagine to comment on those yesteryear singers. Even if you note my post, I was only commenting on the current crop of singers. Also my post was not just because they can do only mukkal/munagal alone, we have already seen tons of songs in this thread, which covers varying range of emotions and genre where these two duo excel in whatever was given to them. Atleast based on listening experience right from my childhood to now, if you ask my preference (as everyone has their favorite list), Just after Rafi saab, definitely comes SPB in terms of versatility and without any limitation.

If you consider in female singers, definitely SJ comes among my top despite her voice is not that cute and sweet like others, even her higher octaves suffer strains, but again in terms of versatility, definitely she is up there with all the legends you listed above. She is a giant, period.

Chitra definitely she is also the best, but she has limitations.

Shreya, let me defer commenting on her, even though she is the best now, she is still a long way to go and let us not compare her to legends.

kiru
28th October 2011, 07:38 AM
The way I see it is - Janaki and Chitra are playing in different genres. Just like SPB and KJY. People might get offended here. I see Janaki in the POP genre and Chitra in the classical/semi-classical space. Indian Film Music is a big world and no established terminologies or accepted classifications. Probably the link to the movie is tying it down or confounding the issue.

rajeshkrv
28th October 2011, 10:25 AM
app,
you missed out vaali who wrote Gandhi desame .. brilliant lyrics to vent out the anger

Murali Srinivas
28th October 2011, 11:14 AM
Rajesh,

Gandhi Desame was by Vairamuthu. The lyrics itself as you mentioned would clearly indicate it is Vairamuthu. Actually out of the three SPB songs that App is going to discuss, Pen maane sangeetham paadavaa was by Mu.Mehta and Venmegam mannil vandhu was by Pulami Pithan.

Regards

venkkiram
28th October 2011, 05:39 PM
காக்கிச் சட்டை படப் பாடல்களில் "பூபோட்ட தாவணி" .. அப்போதைய காலக் கட்டங்களில் எல்லா ஆர்கெஸ்டிராக்களிலும் பாடப்பட்டு வந்தது. கோரஸ், ஆர்கன், ட்ரம்ஸ், கிடார், பாலு குரலில் ஒரு ஆண் பாடகர் , ஜானகி குரலில் ஒரு பெண் பாடகர் இப்படி குறைந்த பட்ச அம்சங்களை வைத்தே அருமையாக நிகழ்த்திக் காட்டிவிடுவார்கள். குறைந்த வாத்தியக் கருவிகளைக் கொண்டு இப்படி பல அதிசயங்களை உருவாக்கி நூற்றுக்கணக்கான ஆர்கெஸ்டிராக்களை வாழ வைத்தவர் ராஜா. படம் வெளிவந்த இரண்டு மாதத்தில் இப்பாடல் எங்கள் கிராமத்திலும் வாசிக்கப்பட்டது ஒரு ஆர்கெஸ்டிரா மூலம். அடுத்ததாக வரக்கூடிய பாடல் சமீபத்தில் வெளிவந்து வெற்றிகரமாக ஓடிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் காக்கிச்சட்டை படத்திலிருந்து.. என மைக்கில் அறிவிப்பு வர, ஏக்கப்பட்ட கைத்தட்டல் கூடியிருக்கும் கமல் ரசிக கூட்டத்திலிருந்து. ட்ரவுசர் போட்டு திரிந்த அக்காலங்களில் நான் எப்போதும் விந்தையாக பார்ப்பது ட்ரம்ஸ் வாசிக்கப்படும் அழகை. வாயில் கொசு பூந்து வெளியில் வந்தால் கூட தெரியாத அளவிற்கு மெய்மறந்து ரசித்துக்கொண்டிருப்பேன். பூ போட்ட தாவணியும் ட்ரம்ஸ்-க்கு பெயர் போன பாடல். குறிப்பாக இரண்டாவது இடை இசை. கவிதை.

இதுல வருகிற முக்கல் முனகல்களை மேடையில் செய்துகொண்டிருந்த பெண் பாடகியை பார்த்து எங்க ஊர் பெருசு ஒன்னு அடித்த நக்கல் இப்போதும் ஞாபகம் இருக்கு. "போற போக்கப் பார்த்தா இவ நம்ம ஊர்லயே கொழந்தை பெத்துருவா போல!"

baroque
28th October 2011, 10:37 PM
நெஞ்சம் உண்டு நேர்மை உண்டு........is a happy composition invokes the வீரம் and self - confidence . அது அறிவுரை composition from MGR -TMS gang . அது agenda பாடல்
app _eng ,

காந்தி தேசமே.....is a different kind of a composition .

காந்தி தேசமே ... is all about stating the அவல நிலை.
There is a sense of disappointment and heartache
பாலா is doing a good job of invoking the intended mood . chorus humming asserts the longing.

in உன் கண்ணில் நீர் வழிந்தால் by இளையராஜா, there is a மனத்தாங்கல் composition with dripping classism
என்ன தேசமோ இது என்ன தேசமோ.....யேசுதாஸ்.(na koi umang hai na koi tarang hai meri zindagi hai kya ik kati patang hai.....Lata's dard in R.D.Burman)
These compositions want you to think about it . They ponder on the pathetic situation while pointing the good and bad . still it is a hopeful composition .

rajeshkrv
28th October 2011, 10:59 PM
Murali,
in an interview of SAC he told about the controversies about Gandhi desame and he said Vaali had to change few lines.

Murali Srinivas
29th October 2011, 12:03 AM
Rajesh,

I think SAC mistook Ellarume thirudangathaan which comes at the beginning of the film [sung by IR himself] and which was written by Vaalee, for Gandhi Desame. As I mentioned earlier Gandhi Desame had signature VM lines like

பதவியின் சிறைகளில் பாரத மாதா பரிதவிக்கிறாள்

சுதந்திர தேவி சுயநலப் புலிகளின் துணி துவைக்கிறாள்.

and in charanam you can again find the same pattern

ஏழையின் கூரையில் ஏற்றிய தீக்கனல் வான் வரை ஏறுதடா

Regards

rajeshkrv
29th October 2011, 01:08 AM
ok Murali sir. you may be right

al_gates
29th October 2011, 03:13 AM
summer of 1985, with parents traveling a lot, I spent most of the hot days hanging out and playing with a lad of my age, kumar by name. Amidst the many tree-climbing, ball-chasing, veranda story-telling sessions he had, he often used to sing the Vanille thenila song.
Now that the pieces are put together I understand he must have been taken to Kakkichattai by his kamal-crazy family :)

al_gates
29th October 2011, 03:17 AM
It definitely didn't meet the expectations of one whose childhood included running around in the school campus singing 'nenjam uNdu nErmai uNdu' with extra "horse sound" from the tongue :lol:

this is hilarious, app sir :lol: :lol: :lol:

Picturising you as a serious, lost-in-thought kind of person, this side of you is little hard to imagine :smile2:

app_engine
29th October 2011, 08:14 AM
nanRi M_S sir, for the insight on the lyricist for Gandhi dEsamE :-)

nanRi for the comments rajeshkrv, baroque & al_gates.

al_gates, all of us have a variety of characteristics and have moments that are playful, lost-in-thought, I-prefer-solitude, I-am-silly etc., especially at different time periods of life. Today, I was close to a road-rage persion on the drive from Chicago-Detroit (almost did tail-gating to a crazy Jeep driver who kept varying between 60-80 mph unnecessarily and was playing) which is so unlike-me and got chastised by my 18 year old son :-)

app_engine
29th October 2011, 08:34 AM
#190 வெண் மேகம்
(நான் சிகப்பு மனிதன், 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2208'&lang=en)

SPB version of 'oru thanga radhaththil' :wink:

Not as effective as the older one , strictly IMO, but was functional, from the movie's POV. OTOH, musically very rich - IR has infused a lot of mangaLa elements, lavishly added shenoy / thambura and such sounds to make it so festive. SPB feels from the heart while singing and anyone who has sister(s) can really feel it (I have two, apart from a brother, all younger, BTW).

Rajinkanth looked very smart in this movie. IIRC, he had suit in some scenes (possibly one of them in which blood oozes out due to the prior night's gun shot) and was dashing!

Actually, suit suits him better than any TF actor IMO!

He did the role very commendably and in a realistic manner IMO. Actually, in most movies until 80's (except those having some extra "style" gimmicks like cigaratte throwing) Rajini was so realistic on screen without much alattal. Especially he was so nice on song scenes. In addition to him, SAC employed KBR -who was the top director-actor at that time - to appear on screen. KBR really did his role nice and was intelligent as usual. That added some weight to the reasonably engaging movie. I liked it at the time of arrival and was happy that KBR was part of the project.

IIRC, most of my associates at the hostel liked the movie. In any case, better than the others that were running concurrently. Possibly another time period when IR had three 100 day hits running simultaneously (udhaya geetham, kAkki chattai, nAn sikappu manithan).

app_engine
29th October 2011, 08:56 AM
veN mEgham youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR3GD-AnR4A

jaiganes
29th October 2011, 10:12 AM
must say that SAC had done well to take a character penned for Raj Babbar (of all people) in hindi to Rajinikanth!!! who would have thought about that...

groucho070
29th October 2011, 12:30 PM
இதுல வருகிற முக்கல் முனகல்களை மேடையில் செய்துகொண்டிருந்த பெண் பாடகியை பார்த்து எங்க ஊர் பெருசு ஒன்னு அடித்த நக்கல் இப்போதும் ஞாபகம் இருக்கு. "போற போக்கப் பார்த்தா இவ நம்ம ஊர்லயே கொழந்தை பெத்துருவா போல!":rotfl:

radiochandra
29th October 2011, 03:01 PM
What a thread ? @ App_engine :bow: feeling bad entering so late with the early 80s done. anyway, better late than never.

Naan Sigappu Manithan - invokes a few memories

# watched it at jayaram theatre, pondicherry (now Hotel Jayaram ). Not the usual Ananda / Balaji theatre where the RK / KH films are screened usually
# Vintage " The performer" Rajni, splendid direction
# RK's expressions when the drunkard asks him to drive the car on the footpath instead of on the road --- priceless.
# KBR entry just before the interval ( He removes the bicycle dynamo and keeps it in his Jolna bag to prevent theft ..... IIRC, thats when the director credits / Guset appearance credits appear
# KBR revealing the "color of the ink blotched on rajni's shirt" concept in the courtroom climax
# "Singaaram saloon" board kept ready and KBR inviting the judge to come for haircuts once he gets dismissed from service

V_S
29th October 2011, 08:16 PM
App,
Your posts have invited many new hubbers and also veterans alike to share their valuable memories. That says it all. :notworthy: Definitely this thread is an asset to all IR, SPB fans and to mayyam.

Welcome al_gates and radiochandra to the hub. radiochandra, Very nice recap of Naan sigappu manithan scences. Keep them coming!

Jai, as usual good information to know about this role was initially thought for Raj Babber.

Nerd
29th October 2011, 09:06 PM
Just caught up with Kakki Chattai. There is nothing wrong with namma singaari sarakku :twisted: In fact that remains as the most popular number from KC till this date.

Vaanile Thenila is a great song, but I hate HATE the first two lines in the charanam. They feel sort of rushed for some reason :?

வானம் பாடும் பாடல் நானும் கேட்கிறேன்
வாசப்பூவை கையில் அள்ளி பார்க்கிறேன்
மாலை காற்றில் காதல் ஊஞ்சல் போடவா?
காமன் தேசம் போகும் தேரில் ஆடவா?

Ennavo meter-Oda extra speed-la pora maadhiri oru feeling. But when it gets to,

மைவிழி
பைங்கிளி
மன்னவன்
பூங்கொடி
மார்பிலே

Its sheer delight :-)

Keep em coming app saar :clap:

app_engine
30th October 2011, 08:38 AM
radiochandra,

Welcome to the hub & the IR forum! Thank you for the post!

nanRi V_S & Nerd!

radiochandra
30th October 2011, 08:59 AM
On Kaaki Chattai, before the thread moves on ...

# "Vaanile Thenilaa" was my music band's ( JIPMER light music band "Breeze" , I was the KBist ) prize winning duet entry for Spanda, the all India intercollege fest 1996.

# I can remember jumping with joy when our troupe leader ( Moatoshi from Nagaland, he is a Pathologist now in Jamaica ) chose this---- Whoo ! Kamal - IR - SPB combo ....my day was made..... I was in 2nd yr MBBS and he was in final yr.

# Both male and female vocalists were from Hyderabad ( Dr Dash, a Bengali - Gult , hardcore IR fan , Dr Jyotsna, hardcore Kamal - IR - SPB fan just like me, my classmate and now a gynecologist in my hospital at Hyderabad )

# How we enjoyed doing the overlapping "Laa la laaa la la la la laaaa" in the interlude ...... Moatoshi of nagaland would swear by IR, while on the bass guitar

# About the movie itself, pucca masala with the RK group at school claiming that it ran more due to Satyaraj and less due to KH

# I remember getting smacked on my bums by my dad opposite Ananda theatre , pondicherry , crying on the road insisting for black tickets on day one ( Mr reddiyaar the owner, was known to dad but even he couldn't help due to mass booking by fans associations ). The spoilt brat of a child won the battle. Two tickets of Rs 10 were bought at Rs 50 a piece. My dad's honesty policy suffered a blackmark ..... who cared ? kamal padam 1st day.

# Those were days when the main road opposite Ananda theatre used to be closed down for traffic for big releases ( KH / RK ). Doesnt matter whether hit or flop

# Baba, Aalavandhaan timela ... athey roadla saani thelichu kolam podara madhiri iruntha kodumai ellaam 2000 appuram thaan.

# Can vividly remember the theatre going into raptures when Thengai Srinivasan describes KH to Satyaraj - "Rangoon Mocha Kottai madhiri Kannu "

# IR's BGM during the negative - sepia graph still title cards ..... and when the BGM changes to "Vanile Thenila " prelude pattern ..... ammaaaaaa ! Indha padathayellaam Hyderabadla re release panna maattaangala ?

app_engine
31st October 2011, 05:55 AM
AhA, arumaiyAna malarum ninaivukaL radiochandra!

nanRi, innum ezhudhungaL!

app_engine
31st October 2011, 06:19 AM
#191 பெண் மானே சங்கீதம் பாடி வா
(நான் சிகப்பு மனிதன், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2207'&lang=en)

The main tourist attraction of Henry Ford's birth place is the museum named after him. The place has some of the earliest cars and certain special ones (e.g. the one in which JFK was riding in Dallas when shot & killed). Though not as frequent as my Malampuzha trips when living in Palakkad (taking every visiting relative), this is possibly my max-visited tourist spot in this country.

While I get easily bored in the museum, there's another attraction which is annexed to this, called "Greenfield village". I can never get bored in this place, which is a retro village :-) It has people dressed like old countryside, steam engine train, pErththeduththukkoNdu vandha old buildings (such as the cycle shop of Wright brothers, one workshop + lab of T A Edison, home of Webster etc). The natural setting has an old town hall , place of worship (people get married here), open audi (bands play every now and then) and one can walk around / ride in Model T (that original $500 car) when there's no snow / horse cart ride etc.

There are similar places worldwide, I think, where people try to revisit the past and imagine themselves to be living there :-) At the minimum, there are certain festivals conducted in some places where people revisit the past for a period of time. (Holland, MI does this during its Tulip festival tracing back Holland-ish past. Frankenmuth, MI does the same with Germany-ish thingies). People enjoy "those old days" when life was slow, no rush, no noise, no jet-speed, no high-tech etc.

Whenever I listen to this song, it places me in a similar feel - taking back to a no-cable-tv / no-internet / no-rush / lazy / slow / peaceful time period. May be because the song has an air of calmness - with its slow pace, soft singing by SPB-SJ and very mild orchestration by rAsA.

Thoroughly enjoyable number!

app_engine
31st October 2011, 07:15 AM
pen mAnE youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-V9ARAWW2E

app_engine
31st October 2011, 07:28 AM
So, we've covered the three movies that ran simultaneously in TN with Kamal / Rajini / Ilayaraja as respective heroes :wink:

I have one more song, for Sunday, to post...will pick some loner number (i.e. only hit song in the IR/SPB combo from a 1985 movie) for that...

app_engine
31st October 2011, 10:55 PM
#192 நிலவு தூங்கும் நேரம் நினைவு தூங்கிடாது
(குங்குமச்சிமிழ், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1776'&lang=en)

I have a doubt- what does the poet mean by 'nilavu thoongum nEram'? Does he mean pakal nEram? If so, what's the big wonder about one's "thoughts not sleeping" - as people are typically awake during daytime? :confused2:

Regardless, a very sweet song in the voices of our celebrated duet pair - that obtained its well-deserved recognition in the recording centers of TN at the time of its arrival! It made its way into thousands of cassette players & buses. The "mouth-organ" (salesmen in music shops in the Detroit area don't understand that term readily, "harmonica" is their term) is not that often used in IR's songs. Actually I can't think of that many numbers at all...other hubbers may want to list some harmonica-driven numbers by rAsA. I'm not a big fan of this instrument, for whatever reason, and really love the first interlude only when the flute starts with total accompaniment. May be it's easier to learn to play this toy and that's why most Hindi heroes play this on screen in some of their country-wide hit songs :wink: Despite my not-so-much-liking for harmonica, I simply love the song - for the sweet melody and the lovely singing of SPB / SJ.

I remember seeing this movie in one of those suburban (Trichy-Tanjore road) theaters...IR-R Sundarrajan combo but boring movie. The most shocking thing for us then was the appearance of Ilavarasi. Only a couple of years back (1982?) we saw her as a pAvadai-sattai small girl on vAzhvE mAyam and were even pitying her for 'machchAna vachchukkadi' in nAn pAdum pAdal just the prior year (1984 - "pAvam, chinnappoNNa ippadiyellAm Ada vakkiRangaLE").

But now, in this movie only a year later, her appearance was like some 60's heroines - suddenly so old looking :shock: Sad what this industry does to girls :-(

This was the only SPB song in that album where MV had max - goods vaNdiyilE, kai valikkudhu kai valikkudhu mAmA, vachchALAm neththippottu...The best song, from this album, IMO, is poongARRE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1777'&lang=en)!

app_engine
31st October 2011, 11:28 PM
#193 சிறிய பறவை சிறகை விரிக்கத்துடிக்கிறதே
(அந்த ஒரு நிமிடம், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0282'&lang=en)

Fantastic song!

One of the best from the SPB-SJ-IR combo, IMO...with the lovely percussion arrangements for pallavi, 3 saraNams with the second one different from the first & 3rd, both in melody & arrangments (they're differentiating the local Ambikapathi-Amaravathi from the foreign Romeo-Juliet / Laila-Majnu tragic pairs it seems - by way of resorting to mridhangam and nAttiya music). Ofcourse, vizhalukku iRaiththa neer - despite having the talented Oorvashi getting paired with Kamal, the movie was such a terrible bore and flopped (directed by Major S). Did she get another chance to work with Kamal in-between or had to wait for five years to do the terrific Palakkad girl?

This movie reminds me of a trip to yet another wingmate's village - because that's when we watched it in the nearby Thuraiyur town. This guy was a special friend, who looked so mature in the whole wing and was also one. (For the looks, he had the thickest meesai - had started shaving from high school I think and so looked way senior and mature than all of us. He was also soft-spoken, not getting into silly arguments, never bothered talking much about marks / ranks / this / that, never tense about ejjAms...and is now a top ranking official in Railways). We weren't that much close during the first two hostel years (Agate / Coral) but then ended up in the same wing in Emerald. Besides, he was also ECE. That brought more opportunities to interact. How? Mainly for "sharing books".

I need to talk about the books now. Except the first sem, I didn't have to buy ANY book at all for the whole engg course! Not just my experience, but that of most of my year mates! Reason? Library / book-bank / book-sharing in hostel! We used to get 3 books from book-bank each sem plus progressively increasing library tokens (1 for 1st year, 2 for 2nd year etc) and with those, could pick standard MKV / Millman kind of books for each sem. What I don't have, another used to have in the wing and it wasn't difficult to share at all - even on the ejjAm day. Worst case, some copying / writing down / visiting library fixed it!

Well, there was another book connection with this friend. He was the one who introduced J H Chase to me. I had seen those JHC books on book stalls / library but always thought they were 'maRRa' books -looking at those bikini pics on cover - and didn't venture. This meesaiwAlA was reading a JHC one day and told me it has less maRRa content than Sujatha or Pushpa Thangadurai :lol: and gave me that "You find him, I'll fix him". And that started my feverish checking out of all JHC's one by one from library until there was no more (around 50 of them - at one point of time I was reading them day and night for weeks!)

That way, he opened a new avenue to me which continued on for years with other janaranjaga writers like S Sheldon, I Wallace, R Ludlum...didn't they say your associates can have some influence on you?

baroque
1st November 2011, 02:06 AM
Dazzling Ilayaraja compositions , you are posting App_eng. :musicsmile:

My life is possible only because of these compositions of early Ilayaraja.:ty: IR , thank you, You are a good friend.

மாதவ மாமவ தேவா கிருஷ்ணா... நீலாம்பரி பல்லவி , app _eng .
I don 't have brothers but blessed with loving and affectionate cousins ,they are fun always.

One at a time, I savour and cherish your IR-SPB offerings.:musicsmile:

vinatha.

groucho070
1st November 2011, 06:59 AM
#192 நிலவு தூங்கும் நேரம் நினைவு தூங்கிடாது
(குங்குமச்சிமிழ், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1776'&lang=en)Boss, I recall my cassette last time had two solos of this, SPB and Janaki on their own. Comment?

radiochandra
1st November 2011, 08:42 AM
Lovely 7 aam arivu review at Grouchy days. ( I already left my comment there about the Kamal article, the best I have come across on Kamal and his fans)

Back to the thread,

ANDHA ORU NIMIDAM - Kamal's worst movies votingla top 5 vil guaranteedaa idam pidikkum. A perennial embarassment for fans like me. I think, Kamal fans should launch some mission to destroy the CD/DVD copies of the movie all round the world - the movie is the living Blood Line of Kamal's "wedding" with Nth grade non sense.

# Mothirathula Visham ..... Shakehand Oosi murders by Major ..... ennaa kidney paa ?

# Bathroomla Bombu ..... widow Amma kulikka povaango ..... One nimit time ...... Run and Diffusu .......Title Justifiedu

# "Pachondiye Keladaa " song appuram Kathi Sandai ....... Kamal versus "surprise package" re entry man Vijayapuri C. Anandan ( Veerathirumagan fame ) ..... what a disgrace ?

# Songs ennamo Okay thaan. esp Siriya Paravai , otherwise nothing much.

groucho070
1st November 2011, 08:47 AM
Oh, neenggalA athu. Thanks again, doc.
ANDHA ORU NIMIDAM - Kamal's worst movies votingla top 5 vil guaranteedaa idam pidikkum. A perennial embarassment for fans like me. I think, Kamal fans should launch some mission to destroy the CD/DVD copies of the movie all round the world - the movie is the living Blood Line of Kamal's "wedding" with Nth grade non sense.:lol: Chinna vayasu, hardcore fan-u, ithayum rasichom. Of course, I caught this on TV like a decade ago. Yabbaa, mudiyala. Must be some charity thingy Kamal did for Major (any back story to this? Plum?)

radiochandra
1st November 2011, 08:54 AM
RIP - Maestro's wife passed away yesterday due to heart attack.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Chennai/article2587916.ece

app_engine
1st November 2011, 09:58 PM
Boss, I recall my cassette last time had two solos of this, SPB and Janaki on their own. Comment?

Yes, yes, me too remember the solo's...Well, from the thread's perspective, it's "one song" still :-)

app_engine
1st November 2011, 10:00 PM
nanRi, baroque!

BTW, I'm not posting any song today.

As a mark of respect to Raja sir's wife who passed away.

Will resume after the funeral.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd November 2011, 01:23 AM
Hi All
I started this thread with good intentions of carrying this thread till end, unfortunately due to work commitments; I am unable to participate on a regular basis. I would like to take this opportunity to thank "app" anna for his marvellous work! There are no words to describe his writing skills! (wish the greatest singer ever produced by India ,Dr .S.P.Balasubramanium sees this thread )

Regards
Raghu

baroque
3rd November 2011, 07:13 AM
nilavu thoongum neram....

WOW! magical interludes for Caressing S.P.B, Janu is always emotive. Peerless singers indeed!

aesthetic heart of Ilayaraja!:musicsmile:

First interlude is my favorite... bass guitar goes counterpoint with mouth organ then flute and violin... DIVINE.
Second interlude is a violin masterpiece.
:ty:

ILAYARAJA WITH S.P.B!:clap:

Remember PAGAL NILAVU , App_eng

Murali mouth organ vaasichundey Revathiyai thorathindu eruppar.

Uyarathilerundhu periya paaraileyerundhu kizha kudhichu, avalai bhayamurudhiduvaaru...
back stroke swim pannindey, mouth organ vaasichchu

Maina maina... irish interludes, Ir sings .

Moondru Mudichchu...M.S.V . Kamal, Sri Devi go boating , prelude of Vasantha kaala ...... Early Rajinikanth's masterpiece!

oh... regarding kahani

First time மோகன் played this tune நிலவு தூங்கும் நேரம்.... to இளவரசி with his mouth organ in their place - கூட்சு வண்டி, it was பகல் நேரம், app _eng .

As I remember .. story is a flashback . சித்தி & Co கிட்டே இருந்து தப்பிச்சு ஓடி வரும்போது, மோகன் saves her . Later one time கல்யாண வீட்டுலே சாப்ட போவாங்க, அப்போ துரத்திடுவாங்க , that நைட் first time , இளவரசி plays the same tune in his mouth organ .
the சோக composition when they are living separately , she left , he moved on with a job too பகல் நேரம் only.

நிலவு தூங்கும் நேரம்
நினைவு தூங்கிடாது
இரவு தூங்கினாலும்
உறவு தூங்கிடாது........

vinatha.

baroque
3rd November 2011, 11:51 AM
Arabic, Indian classical and Western bgm , Vairamuthu's Varigal , legendary singers Bala And Janu:thumbsup:

மஞ்சமே
தமிழின் மன்றமே
புதிய சந்தமே சிந்தினேன்

அன்பனே
இளைய நண்பனே
கவிதை நண்பனே நம்பினேன்
சொர்ணமே
அரசஅண்ணமே
இதழில் யுத்தமே முத்தமே
நெற்றியில்
வியர்வை சொட்டுமே
கைகள் பற்றுமே ஒற்றுமே

சோழக்குயில் பாடுகையில்
சோலைக்குயில் ஓய்வெடுக்கும்
மெல்லினங்கள் பாடு கண்ணே
வல்லினங்கள் வாய் வலிக்கும்
சந்தமே இன்பம் தந்தது
கங்கையே இங்கு வந்ததே
தென்றலே இன்று நின்றது
நன்று தான் சந்தம் என்றது
கன்றுகள் இரண்டு
இன்று போல் என்றும் வென்று வாழ்கின்றது......
வாழ்கவே.. வாழ்கவே..chorus

சிறிய பறவை சிறகை விரிக்க துடிக்கிறதே….
சிறகை விரித்து நிலவை உரச நினைக்கிறதே…
உதடு உருக
அமுதம் பருக
வருகவே….வருகவே…. chorus

நல்ல நேரம் நேரம் நாளும் யோகம் யோகம் வெற்றி மாலைகள் சூடும்......ஜானு'ச yari gagi aata ....கன்னட is my favorite.

Couple of more SPB duets are in this album for our pleasure.

Ilyarajavey saranagadhi!

app_engine
3rd November 2011, 09:46 PM
I too thought it's 'pagal nEram', baroque :-)

Quite an unusual time as the song refers nilavu, ninaivu & romance...typically associated with mAlai or later in the TFM context...

nanRi for posting the middle saraNam of siRiya paRavai, very nice part of the song!

al_gates
3rd November 2011, 10:41 PM
groucho070,
Recently went through several of your blog posts and enjoyed your style. You are an amazing writer :)

Thanks for welcoming me, V_S.

app_engine
4th November 2011, 12:01 AM
#194 தேவை இந்தப்பாவை
(அந்த ஒரு நிமிடம், 1985 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0283'&lang=en)

However listless that movie proved to be, there were a couple other songs besides siRiya paRavai - both listenable and reasonably played around those days- from that movie as baroque observed.

One of them is this number where SPS starts and lasts only briefly before it becomes an all-SPB show. Rather all-Kamal show as one feels Kamal everywhere in the song :-) With nice dancy phrases (with mridh) and some onRippAdal, the saraNam is more enjoyable than the commercially-catchy-but-simple pallavi. I very clearly remember playing this song repeatedly on siththappA's new 80W Panasonic sound system (the other famous Panasonic one was 12W but great for years but this one sounded much better, even on low volumes). By the standards of those days, this cassette had excellent recording quality.

I think by this time the campus interview thing caught up and there was all those discussions about "restricting how many one would attend" etc. I believe in the prior years, there was no such criteria as companies poured into the campus and everyone had more than one job. However, by the time we were completing, there seemed to be not that many coming up. So, they wanted to have "restrictions". (I think similar restrictions on campus interviews exist in most places today). So, the decision was to allow each student to max attend 4 I think, with a condition that, if they get selected in between, only one more. (So, minimum of 2). Since I wasn't sure if I would hit it with just the campus thingy, started applying for any ad on Hindu as "trainee engieer" and undertook travels to Calcutta / Hyderabad / Hosur and such places at the expense of those advertisers (some of them also gave the K Bedi opportunity :lol:).

One thing worth mentioning is the Enfield canteen@ Hosur. WOW! They gave us lunch after the interview in the executive canteen - one of the best, exceeding most star hotel standards! Some of the best chapAti / rottees ever had :-)

baroque
4th November 2011, 03:20 AM
:redjump: high energy poppish Ilayaraja with ANANDHA BHAIRAVI (konja naal poru thaiava.....90s - Deva) with changing styles bgm- tap dancing.

It was my favorite during my hostel days, App_eng.

எப்போடா hostelலேருந்து வெளியில் வந்து இந்த பாடல்களை கேட்ப்போம் என்று இருக்கும்!

I am proud to say, Indian cinema's distinguished actor gave me respite during 90s with his awesome dancing skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxTq5wK4mA

Thank you, Kamal.:ty:

In few months, App_eng on the way to get financial freedom, Good for you!

Nice music break.

vinatha.

app_engine
4th November 2011, 05:54 AM
nanRi, baroque!

siRiya paRavai youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAfDNE3QKMk

groucho070
4th November 2011, 07:32 AM
groucho070,
Recently went through several of your blog posts and enjoyed your style. You are an amazing writer :)

Thanks for welcoming me, V_S.Thanks al. Amazing ellAm too much. I'd replace it with "annoying" so that you can keep your article "an". :smile:

rajkumarc
4th November 2011, 10:29 AM
Lovely songs from Andha Oru Nimidam and lovely posts App. These songs had superb recording quality even when listened through the cassettes. I had them recorded with the CD-recording quality which was more pricier but worth it.

app_engine
4th November 2011, 09:53 PM
nanRi rajkumarc!

There was another SPB number from this movie that was good (not the pachchOndhi one, total reject), will listen to the songs before posting it.

nalla nEram nEram is a SJ solo...I don't think SPB was in it...

app_engine
4th November 2011, 10:32 PM
#195 அலைகளில் மிதக்குது நிலவொன்று குளிக்குது
(அந்த ஒரு நிமிடம், 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0278'&lang=en)

Got the song:-)

What a sweet prelude that sets the whole romantic mood! SJ sings with some restraint (though bordering on the mukkal variety, just cuts short of it by a millimeter). SPB izhaindhu izhaindhu pAdukiRAr. Another made-for-Kamal song. rAsA surprises with a relatively unconventional (i.e. until that point of time) shenoy sound in the second interlude for this genre of songs. I think the whole arrangement / feel of this song was some kind of a precursor to many numbers that followed in the coming years. The song enjoyed some listens on tape recorders, buses...

Absolutely no idea of what happens on the screen as I don't remember much about this movie at all. Like someone reminded here, there was that mOdhiram-visham thingy, the three famous tragic lover pairs in the siRiya paRavai song, apart from the 'thEvai' youtube that baroque posted. This alaikaLil song could have been a kanavu scene or nanavu scene but didn't leave any trace of memory.

OTOH, I remember the on-screen irritation of the reject-number-pachchOndhi. Never before a Kamal-IR-SPB number had me irritated so much and most of us couldn't stand the song those days and I don't think it enjoyed any popularity at all. (Same goes with the other kAththiruppadhu pAththiruppadhu SPB/MV duet, though not as irritating as the pachchOndhi). Even my DHIRF friend of Thanjavur could not stand these numbers those days, even though the songs got recorded by default in his TDKs. FF kaNdu pidichcha mahAn vAzhka!

Interestingly, while pachchOndhi won't get a separate post, the word triggered on a very nice childhood memory :-)

The mAdu mEykkum sessions - those precious moments - I had with my appA in the village. He had a classmate-bAlya-snEkithar in town who used to give him some strange requests, for the medical treament of his family members. While the requests typically called for mooligai's - that my dad used to collect and give him every now and then, there were also some special requests from time to time.

For snails & chameleons :shock:

Since he was "nagamum-sadhaiyum-with-appA" from childhood, my father used to comply. I also have a suspicion that appA had his own personal thrill in pachchOndhi hunting. So, during a few once-in-a-while-mAdu-mEykkal sessions, he'll look for this jandhu and catch it. I had observed with terror on two occasions. (My schoolmates used to tell that in case a pachchondhi bites our hand, it won't take off the teeth until donkeys from Ezhu oor make sound together :lol:).

Nothing unusual happened anyways as he had a knack of using a string to trap it alive, let it be tied to trees / walls etc at home for a day, let it give us demos on camouflage a few times, before taking it to town for his friend. 'pAvam pachchOndhi'nnu mom used to scold him but he never cared and it was one of his rare entertainments. :oops: I used to wonder what his friend did with those chameleons.

Nevertheless, I always enjoyed those sheperding sessions, when the calf used to be in my care. It typically refused to come with us when we start home and dad'll leave it and start just with the cow. I used to get worried losing it but appA will keep walking, telling me not to worry. After leaving it behind for a few hundred meters, the cow will give a "mmmAA" call! Even if the calf had totally disappered from our sight, one should see the speed with which it rushes to its mother!

appadiyE pullarikkum!

al_gates
5th November 2011, 01:08 AM
App, not really gone finished going through your early posts in this thread...I wonder if there was any reference to Rakesh Sharma's space journey in Apr 1st week 1984 and the interest it generated among your college friends? This was just a handful of days before the release of the likes of Naan Paadum Paadal, Vazhkai, Thambikku endha ooru, etc..

Thanks again....for stories featuring both counterpoints and chameleons :)

app_engine
5th November 2011, 01:28 AM
nanRi, al_gates!

I had no reference of Rakesh Sharma in the posts - ofcourse there was some common-room discussions / talks etc about him with indhu paper in hand but no feverish impact in my circles...

app_engine
5th November 2011, 01:29 AM
Most discussions were about getting aids (from US universities, no pun intended) rather than going to space :-)

baroque
5th November 2011, 06:57 AM
mood music from loverboy and janu .:musicsmile:

ம்ம்ம்... composition reminds me of another song 's pallavi tune உனைத்தொட தாகமே உண்டானதே திண்டாடுதே மனமே.......yesudas and uma ramanan

paththiruppathu kaaththirukkuthu
kaththiruppathu paaththirukkuthu
Om hari hari
Om hara hara
Om hari hara Om .......male duet by Bala and Vasu in this album.

vinatha.

groucho070
5th November 2011, 07:49 AM
App, nice recollection in pachondhi. Is it also called jandhu? What is Jandhu. In our home, Jandhu is an insult word, like "enthu paranyaalum ketkAtha jandhu ithu!". Those episodes remind me of an uncle back in plantation days whose past time was hunting for monitor lizard that ends up in our pot, of course.

baroque
5th November 2011, 08:27 AM
janthu means பிராணி - living creature

6th sense-rational thinking of the human being
so sonnalum ketkaama, thaanavum yosikkama frustrate panninaa
enna sonnaalum ketkkadha janthu(janmam) idhu appadinnu thittaraanga:-D

groucho070
5th November 2011, 08:36 AM
:smile: Thanks.

baroque
5th November 2011, 08:55 AM
:-D

vinatha

app_engine
6th November 2011, 06:05 PM
nanRi, groucho!

Yes, like baroque confirmed, jandhu is creature. (vadamozhi word, freely used in the 'manipravALa nadai Thamizh'. prANi is also vadamozhi, means soul / creature).

It's quite interesting how many vadamozhi words have been part of regular TN vocabulary. Recently I read in a blog comment that reminded that most who claimed to "safeguard Thamizh" and resorted to a variety of changes in regular day-to-day terms ('uyir vaLi' instead of 'prANa vAyu' aka Oxygen, for e.g.) have carelessly retained the vadamozhi Rahul Dravid (http://www.dmk.in)in the party titles of almost all big outfits in TN :lol2: (This includes the relatively newer spin-off by Vaiko & the outfit by karuppu MGR)

app_engine
6th November 2011, 06:27 PM
#196 வந்தாள் மகாலக்ஷ்மியே
(உயர்ந்த உள்ளம், 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3881'&lang=en)

I remember SPB's "konashtais" in this song being made fun of from time to time in the tfmpage. Especially the ones during the second interlude. Despite that, one has to admit that it's a very sweet melody and some effortless singing by SPB:-) The song was moderately popular during the time of its arrival. I clearly remember the winning Jamal Mohammed college light music team performing this song in Festember. Their singer almost replica'd SPB :shock:

I think the movie was a dud (never had a chance to watch the movie) and part of the AVM assaults on the new age cinema that was trying to establish in the TField. Well, with KH in company, they've accomplished it, one would say. There were not going to be many udhirippookkaL kinds post SKV. Actually, AVM successfully re-established the supremacy of heroes, which almost went away during late 70's and early 80's (with movies having even Vijayan / Mohan kinds running for silver jubilees). Well, all in the business.

Apart from SPB's sEttais, this song can also be enjoyed for some nice percussion sounds (great recording by the existing standards) and some veeNai sounds :-)

app_engine
6th November 2011, 06:52 PM
#197 என்ன வேணும் தின்னுங்கடா டோய்
(உயர்ந்த உள்ளம், 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3878'&lang=en)

While I absolutely dislike this song, I'll have to admit that this too had its air time when arrived :-(

Must be because of Kamal & the high voltage marketing campaign by AVM. Raja had done his job, with some terrific wind-instrument work in the first interlude and a reasonably decent prelude but otherwise the song is a murder of taste and sensitivity. SPB freaks out with his tiger sound and relative "free-hand" (vetRRtu, dOi dOi dOi etc) but overall the song leaves one in a 'soththakkadalai menRa' feeling. Perhaps that scene was intended by the story situation / movie setting but why make a song for that?

Despite this assault on taste, the album survived thanks to that phenomenally sweet 'engE en jeevanE' by KJY (there is also an IR version) and the terrific 'kAlaiththenRal' breezie by PS. With those two fantastic numbers, rAsA survived. SPB and KH? Unfortunately did not, at least not in my eyes as they went down a bit.

That didn't help in a year when most of my favourite movies came without SPB. (mudhal mariyAdhai - MV, sindhu bhairavi - KJY, poovE poochchooda vA -KJY). He was not there in the garam masAlA oru kaidhiyin diary as well. Other than the three big hits we already talked about (UG-KC-NSM), there wasn't much SPB domination in IR albums during most part of my last college year.

app_engine
6th November 2011, 07:15 PM
Well, net resources state that MR-Motherland Pictures combo "idhayakkOyil" also came in 1985, which was a SPB dominated album.

So, add that to the three I mentioned in the last post.

For some reason, I never got a chance to watch this movie (not yet). Also, paid not much attention to the songs during college days (possibly the winding up time of the course, project work, interviews etc). I will post about those songs later, however, but I gave them proper listen only during pAlakkAdan life and was even thinking that it was a 1986-er...

radiochandra
6th November 2011, 10:57 PM
# AVM made 2 MGR inspirations and 2 Sivaji inspirations with Kamal. While Thoongathey thambi thoongathey ( Enga vettu pillai sort ) and SKV ( Periya Idathu penn sort ) were silver jubilee hits, the Sivaji remakes Uyarndha Ullam ( Avandaan Manithan sort ) and Per Sollum Pillai ( Padikkaatha Medhai sort ) turned out to be duds. In fact, Per sollum Pillai was the last KH film for AVM.

# Pondicherry Ananda theatre had a decorated auto rickshaw parked on the sun shade roof on release day ( kamal drives an auto in the last half hour of the movie !!! ---- 10 years later Balaji theatre had an auto decor for "baasha" )

# "Vandaal Mahalakshmiye" was enjoyable ---- KH overdoing, SPB over singing ( Kalyaniya kasikki Puzhinji iruppaaru ), YGM's slapsticks not withstanding

# Over acting -o over acting scene in the movie is when KH distributes all his remnant wealth to the palace servants and finally remembers he has nothing left to give to the long loyal Nagapillai @ Kanakkupillai played by veteran VK Ramasamy.

# KH looks extremely handome in his full sleeved black cum red T shirt in "Kaalai Thendral" song

# "Otta chattiya vachu kittu" drew whistles from the mass crowds

Plum
7th November 2011, 04:34 AM
App, I think vandhaal mahalaksmiye is the most popular from the movie, although the other two are better standard issue melodies.

V_S
7th November 2011, 06:47 AM
Nevertheless, I always enjoyed those sheperding sessions, when the calf used to be in my care. It typically refused to come with us when we start home and dad'll leave it and start just with the cow. I used to get worried losing it but appA will keep walking, telling me not to worry. After leaving it behind for a few hundred meters, the cow will give a "mmmAA" call! Even if the calf had totally disappered from our sight, one should see the speed with which it rushes to its mother!

appadiyE pullarikkum!
Very nice posts on AOM and UU. Especially the above one. :clap: Goosebumps for me too. Nothing can beat the nature!

app_engine
7th November 2011, 05:55 PM
nanRi, V_S-ji!

Well, as we're approaching the #200, which I want to be a duet of SPB-SJ, there are a few choices for nEyar viruppam :

my choice #1 : pudhiya poovidhu, pooththadhu (TET)

others:
#2 : iLa manadhu (Selvi)
#3 : adhikAlai nEramE (MOKK)
#4 : sOdikkiLi engE (padikkAthavan)
#5 : kaNNil enna kArkAlam (UKNV)
#6 : pAttuththalaivan (IK)

Please state yours...we'll see what gets most responses :-)

genesis
7th November 2011, 08:45 PM
I hope you did not list them in order of your preference; my choice is

IMO this is an all-in-all SPB show.

baroque
7th November 2011, 10:47 PM
mmm..... I am feeling relaxed & calm this morning

so, going with adhikaalai neramey...... or kannil enna kaarkaalam...

Caressing Bala and cool Janu's adhi kaalai neramey with the dazzling second interlude violin sonata with piano:musicsmile:

Outstanding guitar prelude of Kannil enna kaarkaalam... with soothing Bala , Janu's pathos, Vairamuthu's consoling lyrics.. All time favorites.:musicsmile:

Rest of the songs are my favorites too.

mood maarindey erukkum :)

Raja pattu:bluejump: pottu vainga when you have time, I will return later.

vinatha.

V_S
7th November 2011, 11:02 PM
I am with you App. :D

AravindMano
8th November 2011, 01:27 AM
pAttu thalaivan of course, a cut above the rest in the list.

rajkumarc
8th November 2011, 02:02 AM
I love all of those in the list, I can never get to choose one above the other. Anyway, would like Adhikalai Nerame for #200 just for the freshness exhibited in the singing and the outstanding orchestration.

groucho070
8th November 2011, 08:56 AM
nanRi, V_S-ji!

Well, as we're approaching the #200, which I want to be a duet of SPB-SJ, there are a few choices for nEyar viruppam :

others:

Please state yours...we'll see what gets most responses :-)Manasula orumAthiriyana sugamAna vali varum, when you listen to that.

Plum
8th November 2011, 10:03 AM
Adhikaalai nerame iyaam too.

KV
8th November 2011, 11:09 AM
AdhikAlai nEramE. Psychedelic. Trippy.
The video's a testament to the man's magnanimity.

Punnaimaran
8th November 2011, 02:39 PM
app, I too will vote for அதிகாலை நேரமே.....

Nerd
12th November 2011, 07:37 PM
Orchestration special - Puthiya poovidhu
SPB special - Paattuthalaivan

My choice would be athikaalai nerame too. Sema feel. Used to be the first song I listen in the morning for a long time.

KV athikaalai nerathukke ipdiyaa.. I had the misfortune, (for the lack of a better word) of watching ilamanadhu pala kanavu on YouTube a few months ago. Sori naaikkum sada naaikkum duet and I am not kidding. And they are real dogs. Idhula lip kiss vera.

One of the main things I missed while the hub was down was this thread. Cant wait to read your write ups for these songs app.

Plum
12th November 2011, 08:54 PM
Nerd, before that duet starts, the dogs "get into mood" by watching Rajiv perform.Rajiv shows a distinctly canine-carnal expression in his face. Adhu dhaan highlight :lol:

wizzy
12th November 2011, 09:13 PM
thx nerd..yam petra enbham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08MNu20rf7U

who ever is the director needs a Taliban style flogging..edhukaga swamigaluku oru Bharatratna tharalam for living amongst these mediocrities and to churn out songs with such elan..eduthan mint streetla thavam panrathu :bow: :bow: :bow:

V_S
12th November 2011, 09:49 PM
Nerd, first of all I didn't believe what you said, even after you reiterated 'real dogs' and after Plum's confirmation. I still thought you were referring to film's hero and heroine. After wizzy posted the video, it left me in a total bad taste. Enna oru composition and how the director has wasted a wonderful opportunity. How could he even think of bringing in dogs there.:twisted: As wizzy said, you really have to appreciate Maestro's perseverance to say with all these mediocrities and still not perturbed. Will not forgive whoever that director is! What a shame!!

Plum
12th November 2011, 10:39 PM
Actually, Guys, after seeing the prelude to the song, I am convinced that the director made a good choice by not picturizing the song fully on Rajiv. Honestly, watch out for Rajiv's carnal expression just before the canines take over :).

Plum
12th November 2011, 10:50 PM
And I have a theory on how the director might have decided to picturise the song thus:
Director to Revathy: "madam, indha song konjam...intimateA...it is a sensuous song you know". Revathy(brings out her pudhumaipenn theekuLikkaNumA expression):Whaaaatttt!!! ?Director: adhilla madam, kadhaikku thevaiyaa irukku...Revathy: idiot of the nonsense of the...en image ennaagueradhu? And you are asking me to do this with Suresh? Yikes!!! Director: (beats retreat)Director has sarakku in the evening with assistants and convenes a brainstorming session
Dir: andha touch-me-not kavuthruchubA! Ippo enna pandradhu???Asst Dir 1: I have an idea sir. Why not picturise on Rajiv and some extra???Dir: koot idea!!!!!They start picturising, AD1 sees Rajiv's canine expression in the prelude and taps the Director's shoulders:
AD1: sir, I have a better idea...Rest is history!

Plum
12th November 2011, 10:59 PM
The Director was K Natraj, a buddy of Rajini, who later directed Valli, written and produced by Superstar. You might also have seen him in Moondru Mudichchu as Rajini's conscience. I believe Rajini had a tough time convincing IR to score music for Valli - and this is said to be the real reason why Raja never scored for Rajini again - ok, I made that last part up but I hope I have given a real person to hate for VS and wizzy as opposed to hating some unknown face :)

V_S
13th November 2011, 02:28 AM
Honestly, watch out for Rajiv's carnal expression just before the canines take over :).
:rotfl2:

Plum,
Too much on that director-revathy-asst.dir discussions. :lol: Enna oru karpanai. Then I definitely wanted this from you. How would K Natraj :twisted: have explained the situation to IR. Please, your inputs please. I certainly feel, he would have lied the actual situation to IR. Or even if it is true, it's hard for me imagine IR giving such memorable tune for dogs. May be the director (I hate to call him like that) would have just said, "I need a 'thuLLal' song having dogs in his mind, and poor IR succumbed sincerely. Eppadi ellam Emaathirukkaanga paa. One good thing is, we got a beautiful song, on the other hand after watching the video, I cannot listen to the song again with same frame of mind which I had before I watched this video. KadavuLe!

groucho070
14th November 2011, 07:23 AM
:lol: Plum. Padam pArthavudanE, immediately songs-um picturisation-um pirichidanum, unless, of course, it's NT/KH/RK. To an extent, PG/SR/KM/VK, but with reservation.

Divine22
14th November 2011, 08:40 AM
Great going App Sir, You have covered so many gems,!!!
Plum Sir, I am reading your comments at work, I laughed out so loud, getting the 'whats up with you'' looku' from fellow office mates, haha.... Nalla karpanai with Revathi,Dir,Asst.directors! Ninge sonnathu pola thaan nadanthu irukkanum,

Rajiv's creepy expression...The song gives me the jitters,soossh!! pavum antha dog trainer , eppdillam kashda pattu rendu dogskkum training kuduthangelo!! IR, poor man, Naai -Pei ellathukkum music compose potturukkaru..

Enathu Vote Athi Kaalai nerame 'kku App Sir, :)

app_engine
14th November 2011, 10:20 AM
Nice to see that forums are back again :-)

Thank you all for the inputs, adhikAlai got overwhelming majority prior to the hack and I've mentioned in a post (not there anymore) that #198 & #199, that are to come before the #200 will be from TET.

Will resume posting from Monday :-)

Nerd & Divine22 : nanRi, for your kind words!

Plum,
:rotfl:

V_Sji,
I remember posting about Natraj (film-institute buddy of Rajini) in the thEn poovE poovE vA thenRal thEdi song (anbuLLa RK was also by K Natraj).

Apart from the manasAtchi role, another 'bayamuRuththal' role for him was in moonRam piRai...In that scene too, there is this nAi connection :wink:

Kamal to Sridevi about suppiramaNi : pAsam, pAsamuLLa nAi :-) BTW, one of IR's best BGM pieces in MP was for the "intro" of suppiramaNi - enna oru thuLLal!

KV
14th November 2011, 04:39 PM
:lol: plum. But that's a devar-film right? One's expected to expect this sorta stuff. Thanks to KTV's kalaisEvai, I caught snatches of the film some years back. The director probably took Guna's "manidhar unarndhu kolla idhu manidhakkaadhal alla" a bit too seriously.

Plum
14th November 2011, 05:42 PM
KV, not sure if it is Devar film but the director is K natraj for sure. I saw this movie in DD in the 80s and went through the cycle of denial-disbelief-rage-shock-ridicule-darkhumour 20+ years back. Actually, my first version of that Revathy-Director conversation was far more risque and vulgar :noteeth:. Had to tone it down since this thread is a family thread, run by decent cultured family man app-engine ;-). One of the gigs involved an enraged Natraj using the feminine form of Dog for the uncooperative actress to his ADs, in keeping with the theme of the post. Sadly, I have to tone down my profane genius to make my writing acceptable to general public ;-)

Plum
14th November 2011, 05:57 PM
VS, I believe Natraj might have narrated to IR (and intended) this as a first night song between Revathy-Suresh. Note the lines
pudhu malarai mudhal mudhalai. thoduvadhinAl sudugiRadhOGiven Revathy's strong distaste for explicit screen intimacy*(something that, ironically, changed after her marriage - viz, thevar magan and Ayul Kaidi, and even Prema with Venky/Salman), I theorise that she shot down Natraj's indecent proposal during the shooting phase. Though I wrote that tongue-in-cheek, I believe Natraj and ADs might have had to improvise to ensure that the song is picturised. I also believe Natraj might have gotten so pissed off that he decided to make a mockery of it. My first version, as I outlined in the previous post, had a conclusion with Natraj saying to his ADs "That will show her :evil: . It's not like I cannot get a (profanity involving feminine form of dog) for picturising this song".* there are exceptions like Singalathu Chinna Kuyiale before marriage but then Kamal is Kamal no? Not easy escaping his hands :)

V_S
14th November 2011, 10:05 PM
VS, I believe Natraj might have narrated to IR (and intended) this as a first night song between Revathy-Suresh. Note the lines Given Revathy's strong distaste for explicit screen intimacy*(something that, ironically, changed after her marriage - viz, thevar magan and Ayul Kaidi, and even Prema with Venky/Salman), I theorise that she shot down Natraj's indecent proposal during the shooting phase. Though I wrote that tongue-in-cheek, I believe Natraj and ADs might have had to improvise to ensure that the song is picturised. I also believe Natraj might have gotten so pissed off that he decided to make a mockery of it. My first version, as I outlined in the previous post, had a conclusion with Natraj saying to his ADs "That will show her :evil: . It's not like I cannot get a (profanity involving feminine form of dog) for picturising this song".* there are exceptions like Singalathu Chinna Kuyiale before marriage but then Kamal is Kamal no? Not easy escaping his hands :)
Wonderful, Wonderful! :lol: Thanks Plum, but paavam sir Revathy! As I said and as per your thought, this song was not for the situation we witnessed on screen. How shocked IR would have been when he happened to see the film for providing the background score for the film (Intha padatukku ithu veraya!). Sonna situation'E vEra, edutha vithamE vEra. Adapaavigala! Anyway, it's an ultimate sin to a gorgeous composition!

Thanks App for additional information about K Natraj. :smile:

genesis
14th November 2011, 10:23 PM
KV, not sure if it is Devar film but the director is K natraj for sure. I saw this movie in DD in the 80s and went through the cycle of denial-disbelief-rage-shock-ridicule-darkhumour 20+ years back. Actually, my first version of that Revathy-Director conversation was far more risque and vulgar :noteeth:. Had to tone it down since this thread is a family thread, run by decent cultured family man app-engine ;-). One of the gigs involved an enraged Natraj using the feminine form of Dog for the uncooperative actress to his ADs, in keeping with the theme of the post. Sadly, I have to tone down my profane genius to make my writing acceptable to general public ;-)

Funny enjoyable hypothesis. But seriously, does anyone know this is not a "re-used" song from some unreleased movie? IR scored so many movies those days, and many tamil movies were released in the pre-TV era, some of them did not get completed or make it to the screen. Songs from the movies were liquidated, probably to buy the return ticket for the producer. Most of the other songs from this movie are average or below average. I got strong feeling that this song is alien to this movie. Moreover this song has some "Telugu" smell..... (the tune more suitable for telugu lyrics?!!)

What unforgivable is, even after listening to this song, K.Natraj decided to place more importance about his competetion with Rama Narayanan, than making a good picturisation.

app_engine
15th November 2011, 01:41 AM
#198 புதிய பூவிது, பூத்தது
(தென்றலே என்னைத்தொடு, 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3611'&lang=en)

One of the biggest hit albums of the year. The movie too ran successfully. Perhaps the most watched trailer for a TF on theater was the TET one for me. Interestingly, IIRC, we didn't get the music disk / cassette in the hostel until we watched the movie. The songs were already getting "hummed", simply after watching the trailer, even though those were shown only for a few seconds! Extremely catchy tunes and Sridhar (or whoever prepared the teaser) did a great job there!

The movie was running in the Maris complex in Trichy - not the main theater but one of those smaller ones. We went as a group and I didn't like the movie, like most of the group. It was very predictable and boring. The lead cast didn't help either. 'puthiya poovidhu' was a poolside song I think. Mohan was doing his standard set of expressions which have become stale at this point of time. And the CBE-style-saree-clad-girl...hmmm...at that college age / living in a relatively dry place like Trichy REC campus etc and still many found a heroine unattractive, that speaks volumes about Sridhar's girl choice for this movie. ayyO pAvam.

Well, the major plus for the movie was songs! What a terrific album that the combo delivered again! While my top choice songs went to KJY (he is celebrating his 50th career year today, BTW), SPB too had his terrific gem in 'puthiya poovidhu' with his star duet partner! rAsA had his tablA person do a lot of tricks in the song to make it very memorable, with superb support from the guitarist and synth group!

V_S
15th November 2011, 04:39 AM
(தென்றலே என்னைத்தொடு, 1985 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3611'&lang=en)

And the CBE-style-saree-clad-girl...hmmm...at that college age / living in a relatively dry place like Trichy REC campus etc and still many found a heroine unattractive, that speaks volumes about Sridhar's girl choice for this movie. ayyO pAvam.
:lol: App well done!

The reason why is composition is so special for me is, right from the word go, we keep hearing different instruments continuously every couple of seconds. First two seconds, first guitar, next two seconds another one comes in, third two seconds third one joins in. 8th second we hear the bass guitar providing excellent bass for some terrific string lead (I believe it is keyboard). Flute then join the party when Maestro finishes the prelude with Coda (just like the start). Normally Coda comes at the end of a song (to imitate the starting portion of the song, poove sempoove is an example of Coda), but here he uses it in prelude itself and substantiates the whole song theme in the prelude itself. Like 'oru Paanai SORukku oru sORu padham'. :smile:

During the whole song I normally get into a search mode. Imagine sitting in some place which has absolute silence. Suddenly the first guitar said above touches our ears and go. While we go towards that sound to see where it is coming from, he introduces second one from another place, so we get redirected to another one and while we follow that one, he introduces the third one from a different place. This continues for the whole song where he introduces the 'magic' echoing tabla, SPB's voice, SJ's voice, new sounds in interludes, flutes, outstanding bass tracks, haunting echos in 'sol sol sol…', 'yEn yEn yEn…', what not. I keep running behind every sound where it is coming from only to be fooled by Maestro and reminds me that everything is inside you and gives me back a wild laugh at me which haunts me more than the song itself.

Just the prelude and bass tracks tells us why these songs are immortal and can never be composed again!

genesis
15th November 2011, 06:04 AM
CBE-style-saree-clad-girl...

CBE is for Coimbatore?!

balaji
15th November 2011, 06:05 AM
App engine

Pudhiya Poovidhu is a great song

'Ilamanathu.." .. Not only because it one of the best duets of SPB-SJ IMHO, but also because of the injustice met at the hands of the director, this song needs salvation, and hence deserve to be the 200th song..

Bala

radiochandra
15th November 2011, 09:10 AM
Watched this movie at Jeeva - Rukmani theatre ( now AdLabs) at Pondicherry with my dad. Utter bore but for the songs. Imagine, my dad was interested in the movie because the debutante heroine Jayashree was his friend's daughter, and he had known her as a child. The movie will be remembered for the songs and also as the great Sridhar's last hit.

Though the Hamsanadham based "Thendral Vandhu ennai thodum" and the most popular song of that time " Kanmani Nee vara Kaarthirundhen" went to KJY, " Pudhiya Poovidhu" and the fast paced " kavithai paadu kuyile kuyile" were also enjoyable.

"Pudhiya Poovidhu" was indeed a swimming pool song and Jayashree will look like a swim suit clad INDANE gas cylinder. IR's trademark mood changing style can be seen in the charanam where the song transits to " Thallaadum Megangale, Kovil theppangal Pol aadumo ". Indha idam varum pothu mattum, intha paattin sugam pala madangu koodum. Raasaa raasaa thaan.

Plum
15th November 2011, 09:59 AM
Tidbit: Jayashree is aththai or something to another awkward-gaited actress of a later generation - Sukanya.The song had a reincarnation in Telugu in the 90s as "kotha kothaga unnadhi", in Coolie #1 starring Venkatesh and coincidentally, a debut-making, awkward-gaited actress - Tabu. Unlike the other two awkward gaits who made a debut in IR's music, this one went on to become a great actress in Indian cinema.

groucho070
15th November 2011, 10:06 AM
"Pudhiya Poovidhu" was indeed a swimming pool song and Jayashree will look like a swim suit clad INDANE gas cylinder. :lol:

groucho070
15th November 2011, 10:07 AM
Tabu...went on to become a great actress in Indian cinema.EppOlernthu: :shock:

Bala (Karthik)
15th November 2011, 10:53 AM
App, I think vandhaal mahalaksmiye is the most popular from the movie, although the other two are better standard issue melodies.
"Kaalai Thendral" head and shoulders above "Enge En Jeevane", in spite of Teacher Amma P.Suseela (sorry App, Chitra-kaaga neenga panna coinage use pannikitten. Teacher amma is the image that i've always had of P.S - voice enakku set aagaadhu)

Bala (Karthik)
15th November 2011, 10:58 AM

others:

Please state yours...we'll see what gets most responses :-)
Without an iota of doubt - "Paattu Thalaivan".
SPB owns the song. Superb jumpy rhythm, typical *fast-paced melody* from Raaja. Interludes to die for, especially the first - plane take-off category. Infectious open-throated singing, a must have in the list of songs to listen to while traveling

P.S: Can;t believe the majority rates "Adhi kaalai nerame" over this/Pudhiya Poovidhu :shock: :twisted:

Bala (Karthik)
15th November 2011, 11:01 AM
Dr.Chandra
Keep your malarum ninaivugal coming :thumbsup:

groucho070
15th November 2011, 11:01 AM
pAttu talaivan - Science, explainable.
AthikAlai nEramE - spiritual, not easily explainable.

When it comes to music, I yam a believer.

KV
15th November 2011, 12:07 PM
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Plum http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?p=767808#post767808)
Tabu...went on to become a great actress in Indian cinema.

EppOlernthu: :shock:

Of course! Idhula enna sandheham grouchy? Amminikkenna korachchal? Indha kaalaththu keeroyinigal perum pangu nadamaadum wax models maadhiri. Thabbu mEla nambi dhabbu kattalaam. One of the few prancing horses among the herd of mules.

groucho070
15th November 2011, 12:28 PM
nAn pArtha rendu moonu philims, nothing great. But I guess I have to take your collective words. Enakku therinji "great" level-ukku Arum illA.

Plum
15th November 2011, 01:03 PM
Bala, app's teacher amma was/is Vani Jayaram. Infact, the coinage itself came from old tfmpage regulars I think. There have been very famous battles caused by Pro-Vani faction(sum total of 1 member) feeling that the powers-that-be of the forum are against her. Bayangara IR-ARR rangekku saNdaigaL. AppollAm vEdikkai pArththu kaththukitta teknikals dhAn ippO enakku kai kodukkudhu ;-)

Plum
15th November 2011, 01:07 PM
Krauching Tiger: Tabu Shankar is two national awardsyA. Both richly deserved despite one of them being madhurai pandaragan movie. Generally very good in vulnerable, sensitive roles. And I never found her bad in any role. Post Shabana-Smita, there is not much competition anyway. She is Shabana's niece, btw. Genes tell, eh? I hope you didn't make your judgement after seeing Hawa :shake:

app_engine
15th November 2011, 07:30 PM
nanRi, V_Sji and Balaji :-)

B(K), like Plum mentioned, VJ is the teecharammA. (PS is "HMV" for me, but my mother was a teacher as well and it's possible PS sounds teecherish :lol2:)

BTW, KSC is Miss Serious (so, effectively "student"tu).

On a relatively serious note, KSC's precision is a match to that of VJ and possibly the reason for rAsA choosing her in many late 80's songs. (Actually in the 'muththamizhil pAdi vandhEn' song, VJ sounds like KSC).

genesis,
Yes, CBE is Kovai :-)

genesis
15th November 2011, 09:22 PM
nAn pArtha rendu moonu philims, nothing great. But I guess I have to take your collective words. Enakku therinji "great" level-ukku Arum illA.

முதல்ல சிம்ரன், இப்போ தபு , அடுத்து யாரு கஜோலா? நீங்க இன்னும் சுருதி ஜுரத்துல இருந்து வரலைன்னு தோணுது.

Yes, CBE is Kovai :-)

As a Kovaikkaran, I strongly object using Coimbatore and Jeyashree in the same sentence.

genesis
15th November 2011, 09:33 PM

Ok - I am ready to be beaten up. IMHO, TET is one of the most boring albums of IR. I have heard these songs many times, but I never reached out for any one of the songs myself. "Eeramana Rojave" is another album that reminds me of TET or vice versa (KJY factor?!)

app_engine
15th November 2011, 10:14 PM
genesis,

'thenRal vandhu ennaiththodum, AhA saththam inRi muththam idum' is in my all-time-great-list :-)

BTW, I used Kovai & Saree only in the same sentence :wink: That "kanji-pOtta-cotton-saree" (organdy) was typically associated with Kovai in 80's:-)

app_engine
15th November 2011, 10:18 PM
Thinking about the IR-KJY-SJ combo, I don't think there is any song I can dislike :-)

Ofcourse, there aren't as many as SPB-SJ-IR combo songs but every one that I can remember is a personal fav!

venkkiram
15th November 2011, 10:34 PM
Thinking about the IR-KJY-SJ combo, I don't think there is any song I can dislike :-) Same for me on most cases with only one exception. On the way back to home yesterday evening, I was listening to "kaattukkuyilu manasukkuLLa" in a loop. I wish SPB-MV would have been a lovely pair. SPB is simply in a way beyond our imagination and KJY is not meeting the expectations. IMO, ennamaa kannu > kattukkuyilu manasukkuLLa (just because of KJY). I am not sure KJY sang in that mode just because of Mammootty's body language. But still, his tone is very flat and kills the mood of the song!

rajeshkrv
15th November 2011, 11:17 PM
there is one KJY-SJ number from Meendum gokila (sudhakar-deepa rain song) which i dont like. Rest all are good and can be heard.

rajeshkrv
15th November 2011, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Plum
"Kaalai Thendral" head and shoulders above "Enge En Jeevane", in spite of Teacher Amma P.Suseela (sorry App, Chitra-kaaga neenga panna coinage use pannikitten. Teacher amma is the image that i've always had of P.S - voice enakku set aagaadhu)

Bala what exactly you mean by Teacher amma.. and enakku set aagadhu .. Explain please

genesis
15th November 2011, 11:25 PM
Same for me on most cases with only one exception. On the way back to home yesterday evening, I was listening to "kaattukkuyilu manasukkuLLa" in a loop. I wish SPB-MV would have been a lovely pair. SPB is simply in a way beyond our imagination and KJY is not meeting the expectations. IMO, ennamaa kannu > kattukkuyilu manasukkuLLa (just because of KJY). I am not sure KJY sang in that mode just because of Mammootty's body language. But still, his tone is very flat and kills the mood of the song!

I am not saying I dislike TET songs, but they are just boring... there is nothing special.

Venki - KJY was "boxed" in Tamil for slow, melodious numbers. He rarely got fast paced numbers. You should listen to some of his Malayalam songs... he can be really good. Listen to this one for sample.

http://www.hummaa.com/music/song/thoothukudi-chandayile/1088706#

KV
15th November 2011, 11:56 PM
//hero hero hero (http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=167866&mode=100&rand=0.9468577152583748) by kjy from Ajeya (kannada). Ample firepower.//

app_engine
16th November 2011, 12:03 AM
Clarification - I didn't mean all IR songs that had KJY, only the KJY-SJ duets under IR :-)

Well, even if we take the broad list of any KJY song under IR, there will not be many that one can absolutely dislike :wink: Interestingly, most of them were liked by the general public as well and went on to become hits. There must be some "mandhiram" in gAna gandharvan's voice!

KV
16th November 2011, 12:07 AM
rajesh, though that wasn't a question to me, let me chip in because I too have a similar view on PS. To me, her voice sounds really good in the older songs (thamizhkkum amudhendru pEru and all other classics). AdhennamO therila, she started sounding quite aged in many songs during the golden IR period, the initial few late 70 years notwithstanding. Some kinda thickness crept in during this time and it was downhill then on, and sadly she wasn't getting younger with years. Within the 80s time frame, I'd choose Jaanu's shrillness over PS's nasal paattimma-ness anyday.

app_engine
16th November 2011, 12:13 AM
KV,
Last evening, I had 'pAda vandhadhO gAnam, pAvai kaNNilO nANam' at high volume in the car!

One of the very best in her career, IMHO, and it happened in the 80's :-)

Even though SJ is my all-time-#1-fav, I don't think she could have done justice to this song like PS!

app_engine
16th November 2011, 12:15 AM
Though there's this dazzling array of 100's of top-class-duets by rAsA, there are not many that can match 'pAda vandhadhO' or 'isai mEdaiyil' of IK.

manushan ennA mood-la pOttArO andha rettu pAttum :thumbsup:

KV
16th November 2011, 12:18 AM
I too like the songs, App. Poonthendral kaatre vaa vaa is among my all time favo IR songs, not just PS or PJ. Just that her voice in this time period doesn't work much for me. Avalo dhaan.

V_S
16th November 2011, 12:29 AM
I agree with venkki here. When it comes to any (semi) classical delight or any soothing (happy or sad) melodies like 'gori tera gaon' or 'vaa vaa anbe anbe' or 'mogham ennum theeyil' or that infinite number of malayalam melodies, all fits to his voice like a 'T' and no singer can even come close to him, here I even mean SPB. That is his forte. But when it comes to these peppy or energetic numbers like 'kaattukkuyilu', definitely KJY should not have been there at all. Even there is fire power and all, I can still feel he is not 100% free and uninhibited when he sings those songs. I can hear that restraint clearly. Even 'Thannithotti' for that case. Those songs are not for him. His majestic voice and singing does'nt help him much there.

app_engine
16th November 2011, 06:45 AM
#199 கவிதை பாடு குயிலே குயிலே இனி வசந்தமே
(தென்றலே என்னைத்தொடு, 1985 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3610'&lang=en)

A guitar / flute / trumpet / drum / synth delight with thuLLal SPB voice. The saraNam is close to a "remix" of nee thAnE enthan pon vasantham's saraNam and the pallavi is not that catchy but SPB gives the required enthu to make the song above-average overall! The rhythm arrangement for the pallavi is another highlight of the song - first of its kind when arrived and made us embrace the song happily!

A song made for the buses :-) I enjoyed this most when heard in buses that also ran fast. Well, even in those "stop-dur-bur-go" town buses, the journey was made more tolerable by songs like this that gave briskiness to the body and mind. Naturally, I get reminded of a number of bus travels and travails :-( Having used public transport almost all the time for the first half of my life (i.e. , so far), I can't believe the fact that in the last 8 years I've used the bus only once in this motor city :shock: This is perhaps the only metro area in the world with > 4 million people with just a namesake public transportation! Lacking automobile is like lacking legs in Detroit!

Anyways, that 15 k.m. bus travels from Trichy to the college were typically the most irritable experiences of the life there. chOzhan / DCTC buses never had cassette players. Among private buses, those that had music stopped at BHEL (often I switched buses at BHEL for this reason, even willing to wait there for the next thuvAkcity bus for a long time, or leaving the bicycle in the "stand" at BHEL).

Then there was this "last-bus" issues :-( Those who used town buses in the 80's can probably relate to this very well. All those school years in the village were spent with this restriction. (Till my 8th grade or so, the last bus from town was at 7 PM. Later, another bus came, that went thru our village which relaxed the curfew by 8 PM. The college days were also restricted by some 9:30 thingy and the latest to even BHEL was 10:30 for many years until they introduced the 'nadu nisi service'. After reaching BHEL, the bicycle ride).

The worst experiences in Trichy with buses, however, were with the conductors who were among the rudest in the world. The arrogance with which they treat passengers who didn't have "change" was to be experienced to be believed :-( Within Trichy, I had been asked to get down at least a couple of times. The worst experience was in Singarathope when I was reluctantly moving toward the steps when ordered to get down. With a big grin, the conductor was giving change to a female for Rs 20...when I mildly objected telling 'enna sAr ippO thAnE sillaRai illainnu ennaiya eRanga sonneenga', loud came the reply : 'nee enna pombaLayA'?

groucho070
16th November 2011, 08:06 AM
:lol: punchline-la mudichittingga. As usual app, those are gems of cultural information for non-TN dwelling folks like me. This is one of "skip" for me though. Thendral vanthu is good for Tabla and bongo players who want to relax after maybe some heavy playing. Love the slow duets between these two when KJY and SJ does the vocal part. (Veetula session irunthA, I'd do the bongo, dad - tabla, younger brother does excellent KJY).

Nerd
16th November 2011, 08:23 AM

Excellent audio quality. The guitars and esp. the bass in the prelude sound crystal clear. Fantastic.

V_S
16th November 2011, 08:42 AM
Very nice bus travel reminiscence App!. :thumbsup: Yes, superb punchline at the end (only for reading)! Aana enna sir, intha paattaye above-average'nuteenga.:sad: Everything about this song is just amazing, especially the sycopation. I am still waiting to hear such a light, casual and gentle compositions with a heart of indian city today, without any luck. Yes only luck can get us such a song today. We are in a very sad state today. The way SPB ends the charanam is just dashing. I don't have any complaints in this song.

app_engine
16th November 2011, 09:29 AM
groucho & V_Sji,

adhu actual sirs, exact words thrown at me and no spice added...

BTW, Coimbatore was just the opposite (in my experience). Extremely polite ones!
(Palakkad buswAlAs even better...)

app_engine
16th November 2011, 09:38 AM
Another peculiar thing with some 80's Trichy buses was one peculiar horn :shock: High frequency-la 'veer veer'nnu kaththum...one should experience that in the hot summer on WB road for the max irritation...

V_S
16th November 2011, 09:39 AM
Yes App sir, I just put that emoticon at the wrong place just for the post. I know and can completely understand your situation. Sometimes these conductors don't have a heart. I too experienced like this many times.