View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

PARAMASHIVAN
12th August 2011, 05:00 PM
Just fulling your leg, faramu.

I know :) ...

app_engine
12th August 2011, 10:56 PM
kAngEyam kALaikaLE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1133'&lang=en)from inRu nee nALai nAn, somewhat in the 'veththala veththala veththalaiyO' format is quite sweet but not a hit - not even on radio and I'll have to skip.

Same goes with vA puLLE nalla puLLE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1137'&lang=en)from the same movie, a duet with his sis, possibly reminding mAmEn oru nA malligappoo. I do remember hearing this song a few times but the number got totally overshadowed by the three biggies and calls for a skip button in this thread :-)

app_engine
12th August 2011, 11:03 PM
That was what happened to a lot of average / above average songs of rAsA during those glorious eighties. Since there was a downpour of great numbers / rocking patti-thotti hits, such numbers often didn't get any focus at all.

Which could be one of the reasons for IR to carefully (& cleverly) get such unnoticed numbers recycled in star movies later on :roll: This vA puLLE & kAngEyam sounds so similar to some hits from masAlA movies later on...

app_engine
12th August 2011, 11:08 PM
nee onnum paththini illa (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1271'&lang=en) is another SPB / SJ / Samuel Grubb(?, sounds like his aNNE aNNE voice) song, that I'm hearing for the first time. This 1983 number too has to be skipped as it was quite unknown to me those days.

app_engine
12th August 2011, 11:25 PM
#113 சிரிச்சா கொல்லி மலைக்குயிலே
(ஜோதி , 1983 , சாயாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1289'&lang=en)

What a sweet song, with Chaya, a Kannada singer (http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7569) (thiraippAdal incorrectly states SPS). As one can see from this dhool link, this was Manivannan's first movie it seems. Obviously, not a popular movie but the song was quite popular on radio / buses and recording center fans. To me, the female voice sounds 'rombappAvam' - may be musically ok but otherwise no match to the lovely singing by SPB. Nice folksy tune with pleasant arrangements (which were going to be the mainstay during grAmarAjan days later on).

Sometime back we had a phenomenal interview on a TV show by Manivannan, calling himself a rAppichchai when it came to Maestro's melodies. It was quite an emotional and interesting analogy - but he also stated that while he was happy to live with those tunes discarded by other directors, rAsA always reserved for him something too!

Ofcourse, sirichchA has to be one of those numbers that rAsA kept aside, knowing that someday or other this fellow will make it to directordom! And what a terrific career he had as a director and later on as an actor! Obviously, he was not the best when it came to getting songs from IR but he did get one of the best ever BGM treats from IR - for nooRAvathu nAL!

Sureshs65
13th August 2011, 12:36 PM
app,

The 'Jyoti' song is a terrific one. I have this album with me and it is a freakout album with some fun songs of MV. I think this is the only SPB song in this album. It was a very late discovery for me and I think lot of people don't know about this song. (BTW, the same album also has 'Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai' which has the lovely unreleased 'vidhaitha vidhai')

V_S
14th August 2011, 03:36 AM
Superb and rare pick. Soft melody. Second interlude flute is a beauty. I too have credited SPS in my listing, corrected it :smile: The first time when he sings the word 'Siricha' I sounded like MV to me. There is one solo song 'Aasai madhanaa singaara vadhanaa', I think this one by SPS. It has some freak'ish guitar, tabla arrangements for fun folk song. Fast song which I used to listen and SPS would have sung beautifully, just like SJ.

app_engine
14th August 2011, 09:24 AM
nanRi Sureshji & V_S for the comments on the Jothi song!

Manivannan has a special place in my books - mainly thanks to his rAjavishwAsam but he also had a few outstanding products...

app_engine
14th August 2011, 09:38 AM
#114 கீதம், சங்கீதம், நீ தானே என் காதல் வேதம்
(கொக்கரக்கோ, 1983 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1704'&lang=en)

There are two version of this song in the album - each with a different set of arrangements, this link has the Ekkam kind -solo- while the other one has arrangements similar to 'dEvan kOyil deepam onRu' along with female voice. Nothing is remembered today other than this popular song, which was a regular on buses & other places. Definitely a SPB special as he enjoys singing this with log of feelings. Possibly GA was the director and the heroine Ilavarasi (who acted as a school girl in vAzhvE mAyam but within a couple of years got promoted to heroine role...I think nAn pAdum pAdal where she did a side role came a little earlier).

This was perhaps the time when the "echo" label was at its top for vinyl records, almost monopolising IR's output. They even had a separate title card for a full screen-size, like 'indhappadaththin pAdalkaLai echo recordkaLil kELungaL' featuring their elephant logo. IIRC, it started with payaNangaL mudivathillai. We students even thought those days that it was Raja's own company...and he was making some decent money thru this channel, better than royalty etc...looks like it was not, going by the recent legal adi-dhadi :-(

groucho070
15th August 2011, 07:07 AM
Siricha....I recall it as one of the songs we recorded when it was played on radio. We always have an empty tape, with record/pause mode. When a good song starts, mom would yell, and one of us would run and un-pause it. In that way, we had cassettes of songs with the first few seconds missing :lol2:
but he also stated that while he was happy to live with those tunes discarded by other directors, rAsA always reserved for him something too! app, would this explain the presence of Ponni Nathi in Muthal Vasantham....come on folks...en mandaiyee vedichidum pola irukkee....

V_S
15th August 2011, 10:00 AM
App,
Thanks for bringing back these forgotten melodies. Geetham Sangeetham is one song I mostly try to sing and fail, especially for those gamakams/sangathi's by SPB. The last humming 'aahhha' tried many times in vain, the way he curls back up and down, unbelievable. We can give everything for the chorus and violins, beautifully interlaced. 'Ennodu vanthaale pothum eppothum', is the best part for me. When SPB ends the song, with 'paadham unthan paadham', just for that feel, I am at his feet.

Me too learned recently that echo is a separate company not owned by Raja, mainly due to that legal issue.

groucho070
15th August 2011, 10:03 AM
What legal issue? If you guys don't mind sharing, thanks :smile:

V_S
15th August 2011, 10:08 AM
grouch,
Please watch this video, This should clear your doubts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-dOd6r7Kbg

V_S
15th August 2011, 10:14 AM
Also please check this link.
http://www.sify.com/movies/ilayaraja-files-police-complaint-news-tamil-kkfqKEgeeda.html
I don't know much details, but I felt he should have done this way earlier, he waited too long.

groucho070
15th August 2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks V_S. Appreciate it. Youtube can't watch here, no sound. Will go home and watch. Thanks again.

PARAMASHIVAN
15th August 2011, 03:15 PM
Ah Geetham Sangeetham, what a song! Lovely Melody from the masters.

Thanks App anna for reminding me this song , and posting songs which I have never heard!
Many thanks again :)

app_engine
15th August 2011, 06:05 PM
As it typically happens during the weekends, I'm behind by a day. So, two songs are due today.

I'll have to make a small adjustment in the alphabetical order & post both songs from the same movie today (which was a phenomenally succesful one). Both duets by my fav pair.

And reserve one of the greatest songs by the same pair for tomorrow :-)

genesis
15th August 2011, 11:42 PM
We students even thought those days that it was Raja's own company...and he was making some decent money thru this channel, better than royalty etc...looks like it was not, going by the recent legal adi-dhadi :-(

Raja was little bit early to the scene. When he came to the field, selling music directly to the "consumer" was not that popular. Only few rich and upper middle class people had record players. They also did not buy many records. With the arrival of Panasonic taper player in the early 80s lot of recording centers mushroomed in many cities. Now people were recording their favorite songs in a TDK 60min cassette or TDK 90 minute cassette and not buying the originals meant MDs, Singers and producers did not get any money.

The Indian cassette industry was revolutionized by T-Series Gulshan Kumar in early to mid 80s. To counter relatively expensive audio tapes which used to be marketed by reputed music companies (read HMV), GK brought out very cheaply made and low priced music cassettes. The cheaply made cassettes featured reproduced songs sung by clones like Anuradha Paudual and Kumar Sanu, not the originals. But later he started to get music rights for many Hindi movies. I remember buying many Hindi cassettes in 1980s/1990s for Rs.18 - Ashiqui, Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin, Saajan to name a few.

By early 1990 this cheap cassette came to Tamil industry also. I remember buying Guna for Rs.20+ with Raja logo. (This brand did not sustain long.... I think it is because of Pyramid and ARR). ARR was very lucky on this - well established cassette industry, satellite channels that took his music to all over India. By 1994 he was known well all over India.

In spite of given wonderful music I do not think Raja and his predecessors make much money from music sale.

app_engine
16th August 2011, 06:08 PM
Now that I'm 2 days behind and 3 songs are due today, let me work it out in alpha order itself.

Will post 3 songs today, all these three SPB-SJ duets were patti-thotti-city hits :-)

skr
16th August 2011, 06:32 PM
Oh super waiting for the feast ..
Already its in abundance with Shri Rama Rajyam

app_engine
16th August 2011, 06:35 PM
#115 பொத்தி வச்ச மல்லிக மொட்டு
(மண் வாசனை, 1983 , வைரமுத்து பாடல், ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1971'&lang=en)

A song that plays regularly on my car, often on repeat mode, after a quarter century of its release! I'm pretty sure it will continue to be a favourite for the rest of my life too as the beauty of this song is / will be undiminished by time. Like the charm of one's beloved mate!

It's unfortunate that the hero of this movie is no more - a Madurai nAyakan who couldn't make it big in TF. OTOH, the nAyaki has gone places, a competent actress who won some appreciation even in Mumbai. Though this movie was dragging in some portions, overall a very good -portions even brilliant -one. And the songs were quite interesting too with this one taking the top spot!

As the song is so well-known, often posted about in the last song thread, I don't want to post about those again. Suffice to say SPB is simply terrific in this, scoring over SJ even. And the Raja special of mELam in the first interlude is simply ootw.

I think I posted about me singing the whole song in reverse order in one of the college entertainment programs, which to this day some of my classmates remember. (Last time I met a guy in Detroit after decades, he reminded me of the "தித்பொ சச்வ கைலில்ம டுட்மொ", which was actually the kuRumbu of another friend in college that I used on stage). So much fond of the song - thalai keezhppAdam :-)

app_engine
16th August 2011, 06:39 PM
youtube of pothi vachcha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Vko5DAOlE

V_S
16th August 2011, 06:48 PM
Beautiful song to start the morning. Thanks App! Nice to hear you know this song in reverse. Could not imagine how did you do that :smile: Could not forget the lyrics 'pesi pesi raasiyaanathe'. Typical Vairamuthu.

Plum
16th August 2011, 07:18 PM
App, I have done the reverse singing (though not on stage) for

LaiLpi lAni mduNdre LaiLvE lAni...
lai-a vElapO mEduyALaivI....

idhula oruththan lapO-la stop Aayi labo labo-nu kaththuradhu oru comedy moment in school - yeah, my humour standards were pretty low then(some would say even now).

app_engine
16th August 2011, 08:26 PM
Plum :-)

V_S, it's not a pramAdham. Actually, our schooing system (please refer Samachcheer kalvi thread or ADMK thread in the "Current Affairs" section) has thoroughly taught us to memorize without knowing meanings via manappAdappakuthi :-)

Add a melody to it, that too a catchy / phenomenal one like this - memorizing can happen in hours!

app_engine
17th August 2011, 03:26 AM
#116 அந்தி வரும் நேரம், வந்ததொரு ராகம்
(முந்தானை முடிச்சு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2105'&lang=en)

The prelude automatically brings andhippozhudhu in one's mind! What an imagination by the master! Just listen to the serene sounding 2nd interlude - WOW, evening written all over it! Both singers are thoroughly enjoying the song - knowing very well that they are giving all lovers of TN a fantastic treat wherever they spend their evenings together - beechchO / pArkO alladhu vERu engO :-) It's got to be either the rAgam or the orchestration or the lyric - or the combo does the trick of eveningness!

The movie was a tremendous success! I would say the biggest hit I've seen during my college days. Though today remembered for the wrong drumstick reason, that wasn't the primary reason for the wave. It was a total combo - the moment KBR challenges Oorvashi to walk / cross the legs over the baby, every one in the theatre will be in total silence, in anticipation. What happens next used to freeze every one's blood those days! :shock:

Perhaps one of the most powerful scenes ever in TF, IMO (though current gen may not feel anything at all in that scene)! Supposedly one of the top grossers of all-time and perhaps the biggest success (peak) of KBR. That such a humongously successful actor / director -who claimed MGR as his idol at one point- had to join MGR's arch-rival later on, just to cover his debts, is such a pathetic thing - powerful lesson for celebrities in money management!

As I said before, this song was a patti-thotti-city hit! Radio played andhi varum nEram so regularly that even non-musicals could "sing" the prelude / interludes / chorus parts:-) The video part was obviously a big joke (AVM masAlA + KBR comedy) but Oorvashi was the saving grace. Another very competent actress who made the crowd laugh in the initial scenes too (nAn pudichcha mAppiLLa thAn, nAdaRinja manmadhan dhAn by SJ too - well, every song in that movie - was a big hit)

app_engine
17th August 2011, 03:44 AM
#117 சின்னஞ்சிறு கிளியே சித்திரப்பூவிழியே
(முந்தானை முடிச்சு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2106'&lang=en)

If the previous song brings evening to mind, this one automatically gives a thAlAttu - reminding one that it's time to go to bed. The melody & the arrangements are so soothing / calming that one does not need anything else to go to a deep slumber. That IR uses two rhythm patterns for the song is quite interesting - one for SPB portions & the concluding part and another for the other parts of the song :-) Perhaps matching what's running in the minds of those on scene and playing with the minds of listeners. Sweet and smart rAsA here!

The movie is full of surprising scenes and by the time this song's scene / sequence comes up, people will become numb. And start asking -how and when is he going to end the movie. Those days, KBR's "climax scenes" were often talked about so people had some expectation left for that one and it was a reasonably emotional ending! I really liked the movie and was convinced that KBR was quite brilliant - much to the satisfaction of my classmate / next roomer who was crazy over KBR. Years later he got converted to Rajinikanth, when I met him in a top ranking position in a mobile firm. We used to ridicule him in the hostel for his KBR-craze - he used sing very loud this lullaby on the corridor, for e.g. - but continuous hits / brilliant placements of scenes etc made us acknowledge that KBR was one smart cookie.

Among the biggest hit songs for the SPB-SJ pair (well, there are hundreds like this anyways). One of those songs that made me think whether there's any other pair that can be used like them for any kind of filmy scenario. (Some old-timers, i.e. more-old-timers-than-me, may say TMS-PS. Ask them to quote a TMS-PS song that's equivalent to nEththu rAththiri, for e.g...They'll either keep quiet or start showering abuses upon IR)...

Divine22
17th August 2011, 06:04 AM
Wow,,,,sir,,,

Such phenomenal & addictive songs,.... Lovely ! lovely, cant stop without repeating the songs numerous times, Geetham Sangeetham , my all time fav! simply love it. Siricha kolli malai. what a rare pick,,I have not listened to it much, but now listening it again, wow , what a gem of a song it is, that I have not paid much attention to.

Potti vecha malliga mottu, this song's opening prelude could be one of the most used tune in many tamil movies , especially for ponnu pakkere scenes. Paattu start pannum pothe, manasukkulle etho oru inam puriyatha santhosha unarvu pugunthu kollum. And the same feel cruising along the whole song,,,Take me away,,,,

2 Munthanai Mudichu songs, that I am not really familiar with, but listening to Anthi varum neram,,, Im blown away..what an effort by the magnificient trio SPB,SJ,IR. I think Sj is the one woman that has done it all, in her songs, enna baavam, expressions, rasam! Maam, You're the woman !

Feels like indulging myself in an infinite ocean of chocolate, with these sweet songs! Great work App, sir,

Thank You.

V_S
17th August 2011, 07:47 AM
Very special film App always. Cannot take this film from my mind. You perfectly nailed it. That interval scene, is a freezing moment for everyone. As mentioned in another thread, I watched in theatre alone 5 times that time at the time of release that too when I was in school. I don't know how many times I have watched it after that and till now. I never get tired watching this film even now.

Timeless gems, even Maestro cannot redo it.

Chinnanchiru KiLiye - The whole film and this songs are in memory now, can rewind what would be going on during this song. I don't know how many I have cried hearing/remembering this song. When SPB sings this line 'Intha nilai kaanum pozhuthu naanum azhuthu vaazhkiren', specifically during 'azhuthu' you can hear SPB's voice crying. What an exceptional talent this man has. Pranaam!

Anthi varum Neram - What a transformation by SPB and SJ from the earlier one. But can never watch this song. Butchered by KBR by extreme means. But wherever we touch the song, it is so sweet. You can take your ears away even for a second. So very engrossing song. Tune chanceless. Very crisp, cute, sharp and precise song. No wavering business. The charanams again is breath-taking with those chorus. We cannot identify just one place and say it is beautiful, every second is beautiful. Still just to compare the singing, I am touching my favorite lines by SPB and SJ.

SJ's 'ithazhil our Olai ezhuthum inba veLai'. Hear how she polishes the 'Olai' word with those beautiful sangathis.
When SPB's turns comes in 'iLamai ennum sOlai muzhuthum inba veenai haa…aaan. Hear the word 'Solai'. He has totally outdone SJ here. No chance there. And how he ends with that 'haaa….aaan' humming. Whoever girl, classmates, elder classmates I know of that time were very crazy of his singing, especially these lines. They were invariably kissing him. I can't describe that feeling they had. Only one legend in singing. :notworthy:

Second interlude. Avvalavum Marijuana bodhai. Scintillating stuff by thalaivar.

Similarly, second charanam. Here SPB starts the line 'aNaithaal devalOgam arugE vanthu sErum'. Not much for SPB here. Now it's time for SJ to prove in the next line, especially the ending. SJ starts with 'ninaithaal ingu yaavum inimai yendru koodum'. But Maestro gives SPB again a turn to finish the line (not sure why) with sweety sweety 'mmm…'. humming. And could not imagine SJ there, that perfectly done by SPB. We were hypnotized again.

It does not stop there. Here comes lot of big kisses for SPB, 'aha ithu maargazhi maadham ammaadiyo mun pani veesum'. Hear how he sings 'Ammaadiyo'. He just laughs, no he doesn't, I am wrong. He smiles and laughs. Again I am wrong. he laughs and smiles. No, again I am wrong. He laughs, smiles and sings too. I will never get this. :notworthy: :notworthy:

It's an open challenge if any singer can do this. All singing awards can just go to dump, if they are not given to this piece and this singer.

venkkiram
17th August 2011, 08:06 AM
#117 சின்னஞ்சிறு கிளியே சித்திரப்பூவிழியே
(முந்தானை முடிச்சு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) பல தலைமுறைகளாக எங்கள் குடும்பத்தில் நிறைய குழந்தைகளை தூங்க வைக்க பாடப்படும் பாடல். இப்போது என் மகனுக்கு நான் பாடுகிறேன். வரிகள் எல்லாம் பசுமரத்தாணி போல. ஜானகியின் ஆரிரரோ ஆரம்பமே பாடலின் சாரம்சத்தை உணரவைத்து விடும். அதில் மயங்கும் குழந்தைகள் பாடல் முடியும் வரை அந்த மயக்கத்திலே உறங்கி விடுவார்கள். கிரேட் சர்விஸ் ராஜாவிடமிருந்து. தாலாட்டுப் பாடலாகவும் அதே நேரத்தில் ஊர்வசியின் சோக மனநிலையை எடுத்துரைக்கும். முதல் இடை இசையில் வரும் வயலின் இசை பட்டவர்த்தனமாக இதை வெளிப்படுத்திகிறது.

venkkiram
17th August 2011, 08:10 AM
Second interlude. Avvalavum Marijuana bodhai. Scintillating stuff by thalaivar.

Similarly, second charanam. Here SPB starts the line 'aNaithaal devalOgam arugE vanthu sErum'. Not much for SPB here. Now it's time for SJ to prove in the next line, especially the ending. SJ starts with 'ninaithaal ingu yaavum inimai yendru koodum'. But Maestro gives SPB again a turn to finish the line (not sure why) with sweety sweety 'mmm…'. humming. And could not imagine SJ there, that perfectly done by SPB. We were hypnotized again.

It does not stop there. Here comes lot of big kisses for SPB, 'aha ithu maargazhi maadham ammaadiyo mun pani veesum'. Hear how he sings 'Ammaadiyo'. He just laughs, no he doesn't, I am wrong. He smiles and laughs. Again I am wrong. he laughs and smiles. No, again I am wrong. He laughs, smiles and sings too. I will never get this. :notworthy: :notworthy:

It's an open challenge if any singer can do this. All singing awards can just go to dump, if they are not given to this piece and this singer. ரொம்ப சுவையா இருந்தது உங்கள் பதிவும். நன்றி வி.எஸ்.

V_S
17th August 2011, 08:46 AM
மிக்க நன்றி venkki ! அவ்வளவு அருமையான பாடல்கள், என்னையே மறந்து விடுவேன் இந்த பாடல்களை கேட்கும் பொழுது.

சின்னஞ்சிறு கிளியே - நீங்கள் உங்கள் மகனுக்கு இந்த பாடலை தாலாட்டு பாடலாக பாடுவதை படித்துவிட்டு மிகவும் நெகிழ்ந்து போனேன். ராஜா ஒவ்வொருவர் வாழ்க்கையிலும் ஒரு அங்கம். ஜானகி அம்மாவின் குரலில் அம்மாவின் பாசம் அப்படியே தெரியும். கண்கள் குளமாகிவிடும். அருமையான பதிவு. நன்றி!

app_engine
17th August 2011, 10:35 AM
AhA, V_S in full flow :-)

Nice description on the mu-mu songs :-)

Nice post by Venkkiram too, on chinnanchiru kiLiyE! nanRi!

PARAMASHIVAN
17th August 2011, 04:50 PM
ahaa ahaa romba nalla padalgal

1) Pothi vaicha malligai mottu - Extremley addictive song, I try and immitate SPB's laughs, giggles in this song, esp the laugh/giggle he will do when he starts "pothi" . :clap:

2) Chinna chiru kizhiyE - another soul soothing song by the Lethal Trio (IR+SPB+SJ)

Plum
17th August 2011, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by V_S
Second interlude. Avvalavum Marijuana bodhai
For some reason, I am only able to read this line in Vadivelu accent

V_S
17th August 2011, 08:13 PM
:lol:... I too tried imagining Vadivelu accent now, you are right. :smile:

app_engine
17th August 2011, 11:35 PM
#118 தலையைக்குனியும் தாமரையே
(ஒரு ஓடை நதியாகிறது, 1983 , ராஜேஸ்வரியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2490'&lang=en)

Fourth Sridhar film with IR. Though not a match for those phenomenal previous albums IO, AUA & NN, much better than most contemporary music! For some reason, I was thinking that either of the 1985 movies were Sridhar's fourth with IR. Looks like OON came before them as the net chronology indicates. Also, going by the fact that Krishnachandar features in this album, it has to be from that time period as his tenure was so short in TFM, despite getting one of TFM's best ever 'EdhO mOgam'.

The only SPB song from the album, the sweetest one as well. rAsA using again the "synth-like-solo-violin" sound (refer earlier songs 'poongathavE' and 'poo malarndhida') which is one my most fav sounds! Another pAvam female singer but much better than Chaya (she does really well in the phrase -'poo vAdaikkkAththu, jannalaichchAththu').

Is this another "reethi gowLai" based song, the rAgA that IR brought into film music in kavikkuyil? (BMK singing that classic chinnakkaNNan azhaikkiRAn). Fortunately, the lyric is extremely pleasing here - must be VM - unlike the 'aRuvA maNaiyAl aRukkuRa rAchchasi' business that we got tortured with, post-IR :wink: Aesthetic rAgam, aesthetic poem, sweet singing!

I don't think the movie made any impact with the public (was Raghuvaran the hero?). The songs were reasonably popular though, on radio / bus / recording center levels. However, I don't think they were patti-thotti-teakkadai hits as in the case of earlier IR-Sridhar combo albums. SJ's 'kanavu onRu thOnRuthE' & KC-BSS duet 'thenRal ennai muththamittadhu' were other regulars on radio / buses...

groucho070
18th August 2011, 06:31 AM
App, yes the song reminds us of poo malarnthida, the violin. But this one takes the cake, purely for SPBs singing.

V_S, Venki :thumbsup:. Time to add that song in my collection, lots of tAlAttus on the horizon.

Plum
18th August 2011, 12:52 PM
Yes, Reethigowlai app.

I saw the movie recently. It was meh.
Interestingly, ALL of the songs in this movie are what you would call "Friday Songs", app.
1. Thendral Ennai Muthamittadhu - Rain. Lovers. Do the math.
2. En Deham Amudham - Manobala trying to seduce Raghuvaran is the premise of the song
3. Thalaiyai Kuniyum - First-night(or imagined first-night, I suppose)
4. Kanavu ondru thOndrudhE - Sumalatha disturbed by Raghuvaran's re-entry into her life and imagining....I'll leave that to your imagination
5. Raathiri Pozhuthu - Random extras performing jalsa, that incites a drunken Raghuvaran to rape Sumalatha in the following scene

Sridhar enna mood-la indha padam eduththArO theriyala.

Couple of trivia, one real and one a guess
1. Manobala who plays Raghuvaran's wife is Baliah's daughter
2. The kid who plays Sumalatha's son reminds me a lot of TK Karthik, the singer. Wonder if it was him...

app_engine
18th August 2011, 03:26 PM
Manobala trying to seduce Raghuvaran

First I did a :lol: as the lean director / actor came to mind, then your trivia cleared up the matter.

Sumalatha was quite successful in Malayalam (thoovAnaththumbikaL with Mohanlal is a classic, a couple of commercial biggies - New Delhi / niRakkoottu - with Mammootty) but never made it big in TF despite being a talented actress & reasonably good looks.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th August 2011, 03:44 PM
(was Raghuvaran the hero?). .

Yes he was, He is not made for songs and dance, he is a very good actor/villain but romance is not his area,his dance movements were hilariously awkward! The director really made mockery out of Raghuvaran! The dance movements for "thendral ennai muthamitathu" were hilarious. and he had to bend down all the time when he sang, because the heroine was 2 feet shorter than him :rotfl:

PARAMASHIVAN
18th August 2011, 03:48 PM
// Did Bagyaraj act with yester year's beauty "Rati Agnihorthri" ?? :shock:
I watched a song (dunno which movie it is from) called "Namthana namthan thaalam varum puthu padal varum" //

Bagyaraj uncle ku ivanga ellam too much :lol:

app_engine
18th August 2011, 05:16 PM
// Did Bagyaraj act with yester year's beauty "Rati Agnihorthri" ?? :shock:
I watched a song (dunno which movie it is from) called "Namthana namthan thaalam varum puthu padal varum" //

Both got introduced as hero / heroine in the movie you're talking about - puthiya vArppukaL - by none other than Bharathiraja. Bagyaraj was a "boy" at that time and not "uncle" :-)

app_engine
18th August 2011, 05:23 PM

Look at this compilation of KBR's kadhA nAyakikaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9373-New-thread-for-Malaysia-Vasudevan-the-versatile-Thamizh-singer&p=713644&viewfull=1#post713644)!

AFAIK, he has not done more than one movie with any girl other than Radhika.

Nerd
18th August 2011, 08:43 PM
Great going app saar :clap:

Also, going by the fact that Krishnachandar features in this album, it has to be from that time period as his tenure was so short in TFM, despite getting one of TFM's best ever 'EdhO mOgam'.

Never understood the rationale behind IR using him. Horrible voice, unidimensional / non-expressive singing and terrible diction. (ஈர வன்டுகல் தேன் குடிக்குமே :banghead: ) Mano/Arunmozhi ellaam SPB in front of this guy.

app_engine
18th August 2011, 10:36 PM
nanRi, Nerd!
I think KC is judging singers on TV shows nowadays (in Malayalam channels) :wink:

app_engine
19th August 2011, 12:06 AM
#119 ஆடி மாசக்காத்தடிக்க வாடி கொஞ்சம் சேத்தணைக்க (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2605'&lang=en)
(பாயும் புலி, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

An album with just three duets (this one + poththukkittu ooththudhadi vAnam & Appakkadai annakkiLi - both MV-PS) and one SJ solo (silukku kind), however good its songs could be, wasn't going to satisfy Rajini fans. AVM / SPM / IR should have known better.

The first one to show total displeasure in the hostel was none other than our Thanjavur HCIRF who also happened to be a HCRKF and not so much of a KHF. Coming as the next after that 'nAn thAn sakala kalA vallavan', it was natural for such people to expect a 'nAn mattum thAn pAyum puli' kind of solo which was badly missed and there was a lot of negative talk. (It was years later that Chandrabose did a 'pAyum puliyum nAn thAndA')

There was another question by them - "how can IR do this silly 'yamma yammA yammA mOi' to RK after doing a grand 'yammmmA' to KH?". KH-RK-neutrals like me too had the initial feeling that this album lacked the catchiness of SKV. In addition, IMO, two songs to PS in a commercial biggie movie like this in 80's wasn't that smart an idea.

Well, those were the initial reactions - but we liked the songs nevertheless. The duets did become hits and were played everywhere. The movie too didn't fare all that badly, though SKV possibly did better biz. With KH letting his 'appAvi' image go, there began the "masAlA level" competition between the two biggies!(Well, whether the stars seriously thought so or not nobody can tell but their HCF's started arguments / fights etc over budget / collection details which are going on to this day :lol: )

SPB sings in a different tone, possibly to indicate "intoxication" while maintaining an RK-like-voice, terrific job! For SJ, it was just another day in the office.

genesis
19th August 2011, 01:39 AM
IR always did average songs for Rajni. IR's best for Rajni was before he became super star - Jhonny, Mullum Malarum etc. There were some bright spots here and there like Thanikattu Raja, Thambikku Entha Ooru. IR probably knew for Rajni/Masala story his contribution does not carry much weight. On the other hand KH regularly got better music from IR.

After becoming Super Star, the only movie Rajni got good songs from IR was for Rajathiraja, which happens to be IR's home production. Later on there was Veera, but that's after ARR'a arrival. (I do not categorize Yejaman as Rajni movie).

Nerd
19th August 2011, 07:05 AM
After becoming Super Star, the only movie Rajni got good songs from IR was for Rajathiraja, .
Not even thalapathy? Actually I think Rajathi Raja is one of the weakest albums of Ilaiyaraaja (not just Rajini). The following albums are much much better than RR - Thanga magan (brilliant songs, each one of them), Nallavanukku nallavan, Dharmaththin thalaivan, Kazhugu, Adutha vaarisu, Sri Raghavendra. Actually Kamal's masalas did not get better songs either -

Worst - Per sollum pillai, naanum oru thozhilaali etc
Comparable to any Rajini masala album - Vetri vizha, kakki sattai etc.
Obviously albums like moondraam pirai, salangai oli etc were better because the films were classics.

groucho070
19th August 2011, 07:09 AM
+1 Nerd.

Kamal himself in an interview said that he used to chide IR for not giving him better songs, and he hummed an example, "Hey, pAdal ondru" from Priya. Of course, his "auteur"ed films got the best of them all...

V_S
19th August 2011, 08:09 AM
Enna sir ippadi solliteenga. :sad: IR always did average songs for Rajini? Only bright spots here and there?. Where did these films and songs go? All these are average? I could not believe it.

Bhuvana Oru Kelvi kuri
Aarilirunthu Arubathu varai
Annai Oor Aalayam
Dharma Yuddham
Murattu Kaalai
Garjanai
Kazhugu
Netrikann
Puthu Kavithai
Nallavanukku Nallavan
Thanga Mahan
Paayum Puli (I could not believe it is average, we will come to it later).
Naan Mahaan Alla
Thambikku entha ooru
Adutha Vaarisu
Padikkathavan
Naan sigappu manithan
Sri Raghavendrar
Dharmathin Thalaivan
Un Kannil Neervazhinthaal
Guru Shishyan
Siva
Mannan
Panakkaran
Dharma durai
Paandiyan
Ejamaan
Uzhaippaali

It might have sounded average those times (even I had same thought, as at the same time SKV came and it is hard not to compare). But I would like to have App's friend view today about the same song and all songs from this film. App can you please ask him now, if you are in touch. I certainly believe his view would have changed long time back.

Reason why I am telling this is in youth days, the songs we like will be liked for ever. I don't disagree. But many songs we didn't like those days, as we might not have have patience (except those who are really dedicated). I have trashed many MSV songs and older songs as I felt bored. Even trashed many IR songs. But listening now, I repent myself doing that sin. I will never forgive my youth days. May be this is true for many.

Potthukittu oothuthadi Vaanam, can compare against any mighty Kamal song. What a rendition by MV, full of energy and soul. I will dissolve in that rain of singing by MV sir. One heck of a song. Aapakkada Annakilli, another 'gilli' song, which I listen to it very frequently. I don't have much complaints with PS singing in these two songs. Very beautifully sung.

Even we used to comment, Rajini gets outstanding songs without even getting involved in song discussions, but Kamal only after his continuous sitting with Maestro and getting involved in composition discussions, he manages to get those outstanding songs from IR. Is this not true?

Divine22
19th August 2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Plum,,,

Sorry, sir. avangge per Manochitra illeyaa ? (Oru Odai Nathiyagirathu heroine)

Plum
19th August 2011, 11:20 AM
D22, you are right. It is Manochitra. My bad - indha solkuRRan, porutkuRRamA vERa Agi Pochu(Refer App's post) :(

PARAMASHIVAN
19th August 2011, 02:38 PM
Both got introduced as hero / heroine in the movie you're talking about - puthiya vArppukaL - by none other than Bharathiraja. Bagyaraj was a "boy" at that time and not "uncle" :-)

Oh thanks App ann for the info :)

PARAMASHIVAN
19th August 2011, 02:46 PM
SPB sings in a different tone, possibly to indicate "intoxication" while maintaining an RK-like-voice, terrific job! For SJ, it was just another day in the office. Yes, this is one of those songs, Only possible by SPB !

PARAMASHIVAN
19th August 2011, 02:49 PM
After becoming Super Star, the only movie Rajni got good songs from IR was for Rajathiraja, which happens to be IR's home production. Later on there was Veera, but that's after ARR'a arrival. (I do not categorize Yejaman as Rajni movie).

yes , how can we forget the "sothapals" in "engita mOthathE ", " Vaa vaa manchal malarE", "meenama meenamma kankal meenama"!
:sigh2: :sigh2:

groucho070
19th August 2011, 03:11 PM
yes , how can we forget the "sothapals" in "engita mOthathE ", " Vaa vaa manchal malarE", "meenama meenamma kankal meenama"!
:sigh2: :sigh2:By constantly criticising Mano singing Raja's song, you are continuously insulting Raja's ability to chose the right singers. Well done. Bravo.

PARAMASHIVAN
19th August 2011, 03:38 PM
By constantly criticising Mano singing Raja's song, you are continuously insulting Raja's ability to chose the right singers. Well done. Bravo.

Rakesh anna

Most of IR songs sung by Mano were really bad! No excuse for this, it does not have to be SPB but the Likes of MV, PJ would have done "Complete" Justice to these songs sung by Mano! Like I said before ARR + Mano combo was better than the disastrous IR + Mano combo.

app_engine
19th August 2011, 04:56 PM
V_S,
Nice list!

BTW, my post was a brief mention of what transpired at the time of arrival of PP. That too "peelings" and not facts. So, no need to get perturbed about the quality IR delivered to RK movies. As has been discussed in many other threads, many factors decide what comes out as an album.

Obviously, there's no question about the amazing quality of those three duets from this movie :-)

San_K
19th August 2011, 05:49 PM
before ARR + Mano combo was better than the disastrous IR + Mano combo.

before ARR+Mano combo it was IR+Mano thanE? enna confusion idhu?

V_S
19th August 2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks App. :smile: I was replying mainly to genesis's statement that 'IR always did average songs for Rajini'. I wasn't sure if he was making that statement based on that time when the movie and songs were released (as your post was talking mainly about those times), or it was a general comment. If it was former I can understand and agree, but if it was latter, I strongly disagree. That's why I compared our tastes from our youth days to today. It has a sea of difference.

app_engine
19th August 2011, 11:51 PM
#120 விழிகள் மீனோ மொழிகள் தேனோ
(ராகங்கள் மாறுவதில்லை, 1983) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2999'&lang=en)

TF has this Attu mandhai habit of blindly following significant successes. We know about the recent "madhurai" bloodshed films that follow a pattern of a hugely succesful film. Typically, after a few terrible flops (sometimes just one) such madness will stop and money bags will start looking for the next trend.

One such was this "illai-illai" title business in the 80's. Started with 'alaigaL Oyvathillai', there came 'payaNangaL mudivadhillai' and both were huge successes. So, there started 'gOpurangaL sAyvathillai' and may be a few more illais. Well, Sirumugai Ravi, who did this kuppai 'rAgangaL mARuvathillai' can be credited for killing that trend :-) pAvam Prabhu-Ambika, they got associated with this movie which was a waste of their time IMO.

Interestingly, rAsA, who used to encourage all such newcomers did a great job of giving a stunning album. Though there are a number of SPB songs, my most fav was the SJ solo 'vAn meedhilE adhikAlai nEra rAgam' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2998'&lang=en)with a terrific rhythm pattern and orchestration. If not for my love for this song and others, I wouldn't have ventured to the theater for that illai movie, only to come back so much irritated. (The only scene that was a little bit interesting was girls running away from Prabhu in the college).

In any case, the songs were hits and this semi-classical-sounding number was a regular on radio. (To my untrained ears, the 'vaishNava jayatO' of Hey Ram sounds very similar to vizhikaL meenO).

SPB is awesome as usual!

app_engine
20th August 2011, 05:34 AM
I located this reasonably good quality youtube of 'thalaiyai kuniyum thAmaraiyE'
(picturization - going by 80's standards - is reasonably acceptable, only uRuththals being a couple of dance movements & the unnecessary lip movements, something like a typical Malayalam song of those days, Raghuvaran isn't bad) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uatd7Z9i1jI&feature=related

app_engine
20th August 2011, 05:41 AM
Adi mAsa kAththadikka youtube link :
(horrible, silukku and no Radha in this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfiRGMK2DxQ

V_S
20th August 2011, 08:20 AM
App,
Thanks for the great pick. Romba Naal'aachu intha paatta kettu. SPB's Mozhigal Theno is terrific. Gorgeous Ist interlude with power packed veena, violin, mridangam and vibraphone. Two violins together. Surprisingly Maestro introduces one keyboard instrument/guitar along with mridangam, when SPB sings the kalpana swarm. Amazing! This is also classical, but how different/mature he sounds when he sings for Shankarabharanam that too some 4 years ago. A singer who completely adapts to the character, not just to the tunes and not just for Rajini and Kamal.

Another sober and haunting melody in Thendralo Theeyo, completely different from the above one.

PS: The link you gave is not for Vizhigal Meeno, both the links were for for vaan meethile :smile:

app_engine
20th August 2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you V_S for pointing out the error, fixed it :-)

There was some connection disturbance at the time of posting and the first time the url got missed and I added it during the edit, the later ctrl-c from the buffer possibly came in :oops:

app_engine
21st August 2011, 02:05 AM
#121 தென்றலோ தீயோ
(ராகங்கள் மாறுவதில்லை, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2997'&lang=en)

Very sweet song (audio quality in this link is quite poor, please don't go by that - awesome really!) The KJY Malayalam song that I got introduced recently - 'rithu bEdha kalpana' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNILI8ctuUw&feature=related)- featuring Shanthi Krishna and her ex-hubby, 1984 - sounds very similar to this song. There are some string sections indicating the turmoil in the mind of the repentant "husband" but the sweeter sections are those lead guitar ones, IMO!

The rhythm arrangement is one of those IR-signature ones that I simply love! I will take any number of songs with this kind of orchestration and can never get tired of it! If I'm allowed to have a CD containing 15-20 songs of this kind, I can possibly survive years of prison sentence / banishment in a forbidden place etc :-) Unfortunately, this gem was given to an unworthy movie (Prabhu too got wasted there, possibly he thought he had some opportunity to do a negative role like what his dad had done in the past but the overall treatment was miserable...I don't know whether that movie was remake of some Malayalam movie as Mammootty used to do such roles quite often, ofcourse with consummate ease).

SPB is so sweet in this song, starting from the humming, keeping the mildly pathos tone without going too dramatic. Whenever I hear this song, I can't control my laughter when the phrase 'naLai malarum kAdhal makanAl nyAyam varumO' :lol: (For those who have neither seen the movie nor know the story, there was no "kAdhal" in that child-bearing)...

app_engine
21st August 2011, 06:53 PM
There were two more songs from this illai movie by SPB but don't deserve separate posts here as they were quite average and weren't that popular either. (Such songs typically get more air time if the movie becomes a big hit but with a poorly made one, they won't make it to the grades that this collection goes by). Those were "en kAdhal dEvi, nee ennil pAdhi" solo & "nALellAm nalla nALu ennai nee pArththadhAlE" duet with SPS. So, skip button for them in this compilation.

Actually, in our hostel, the cracking dappAnguththu Ey alangAri (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2993'&lang=en)sung by SPS/MV had more play time. The mELam during the first interlude which also gets used as the background for the pallavi in the later part of the song simbly rocks!

app_engine
21st August 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm taking a small detour, to keep the 1983 classic as the last movie of the year - even though it came during the summer & alphabetically ahead of a few others as well.

So, a few more light-weight songs to continue.

app_engine
21st August 2011, 07:34 PM
#122 ஒன்னும் தெரியாத பாப்பா (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3416'&lang=en)
(சூரக்கோட்டை சிங்கக்குட்டி, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Another Prabhu song, from a relatively more successful movie (regardless of any content, AVM masAlA IIRC). I haven't watched this movie - after seeing those "sets" on the posters, decided strongly against it. Despite the album featuring that sweet PJ-PS number, kALi dAsan, kaNNa dAsan, kavidhai nee (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3413'&lang=en). It seems that soft song was a Prabhu-Silukku number on screen. dhool guys (http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4102)made enough fun of this movie & kALi dAsan. Also, the director seems to be Rama Narayanan (another rare combo with IR, after kaNNE rAdhA, how many did they do together? Definitely less than 5 I think) which means avoidable, forgettable movie!

In any case, the SPB-SJ-Chorus number is quite peppy, with some nice drum work here and there. Poor man's "iLamai idhO idhO" I think. With horrible lyrics. The song was played on radio / buses / teakkadai etc, quite often those days, and can be considered a sumAr hit. This movie should have been after kOzhi koovudhu - where silukku got paired with Prabhu successfully. As I mentioned earlier, TF had this habit of blindly following successes in search of a formula, to torture people. One such torture was this movie perhaps.

San_K
21st August 2011, 11:22 PM
Many Thanks app, really enjoying Thenrala Theeyo song. Very very familiar tune but I can't remember this song. Is there any song IR produced with same tune?

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 12:24 AM
#123 வா வா பக்கம் வா, பக்கம் வர வெட்கமா
(தங்க மகன், 1983 , வாணி ஜெயராமுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3528'&lang=en)

Historically, the top most "TFM-deepAvaLi" for IR should have been this 1983. He had movies with ALL the biggies in the industry - Rajini / Kamal / Shivaji (MV started doing pinnaNi for him and so IR got back to composing for NT).

All three movies were 100+days runners. All had super-duper-hit songs. We'll do them one by one alphabetically. To start with, thanga magan, that featured a rare Rajinikanth - Poornima Jayaram combo. (Possibly to "match" the Jayaram name, Vani Jayaram got two songs in an IR album after quite some time). MGR-RMV-Sathya movies production hired A Jagannathan to direct this masAlA. Interestingly, this director who did some remakes in the past, wasn't that much in the limelight those days but suddenly had two deepAvaLi release projects with Rajini / Shivaji - big banners, top-selling artists, Ilayaraja music etc. Quite unusual, possibly MGR had a hand in them :roll:

thanga magan was perhaps the most-played-album in the hostel, in that "already-talked-about-national-panasonic-stereo-player", often in blasting volume! This vA-vA-pakkam-vA song used to be my most fav those days (though not featuring SJ, my most fav)! Ofcourse, I didn't like that 'anybody can kiss me' etc business that happens in the end - then and now - but rest of the song was so "hip" when it arrived:-) It was IR's own brand of disco, his own unique sounds and not imitating any of the then-popular bands, IIRC.

SPB rocks in this song! What a lovely singer we're blessed with! Often we lament at the life-time earnings of worthy composers such as MSV / IR, comparing with how people in other countries with a fraction of that talent make. Those who do < 0.01% of MSV/IR's output and still make a fortune many times over what these legends ever had.

The same is applicable to SPB too I think...he wouldn't have seen the money some western singers made / make - who do only a very few songs in their lifetime, that too those that get tossed off in a few weeks!

V_S
23rd August 2011, 02:39 AM
It was IR's own brand of disco, his own unique sounds and not imitating any of the then-popular bands, IIRC.

App, bang on! :clap: Well said. Very true about the earnings of true composers and singers that time. I heard MSV/KVM worked for some meagre amounts. And how many films IR did for free and also just on belief they would pay him later. I also heard that still today, some producers owe to IR. And can we spot out the difference in quality/contribution from these legends. No chance!

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 07:46 AM
nanRi V_S!

Located the vA vA pakkam vA youteeb, not great pic quality but there seems to be no better ones there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVu21UD2K4o

groucho070
23rd August 2011, 08:39 AM
By 1983, disco was outdated in fact. Thanks to Michael Jackson, the breakdance was catching on. IR must have known this and did not succumb to the typical disco sound (basically danceable funk), unlike his Northern counterparts which were churning out outdated crap. That's why IR's pop numbers are still listenable today. His work does not age.

Thanks again for the hardwork, app. Here's another song where poor Poornima was "victimised" by Rajini :evil:

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 05:11 PM
groucho070 :-)

I don't remember clearly the timing part but Poornima should have already been serious with KBR (dating / marriage / engagement kind) as they were in love right from darling-darling-darling days. This movie was possibly something like what was alai pAyuthE to Shalini :wink:

Interestingly, another movie where Rajini didn't enjoy a male solo - all were duet songs (male-female or female-female) :-)

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 10:26 PM
#124 ராத்திரியில் பூத்திருக்கும் தாமரை தான் பெண்ணோ
(தங்க மகன், 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3527'&lang=en)

TFM lyricists and composers have been strong in one department traditionally - that of making a completely AbAsamAna song feel like "hey, nothing of that sort is in this song". This one is such a specimen, loaded with all kinds of maRRa stuff but sounds like a sweet love duet:-) (Someone might say, well, isn't "love" mostly about "that"...obviously that is out of syllabus for this thread :wink: Suffice to say there had been a lot of "corridor talks" in the hostel on this song.)

That apart, what a lovely melody! And excellent singing by SPB-SJ! And phenomenal orchestration, especially the prelude -I love it - one that takes me into some dream world instantly - rAsA is a magician here. This is one of those songs where even people who don't regularly follow prelude-interlude etc can recite them / identify the song right when the first note starts playing etc.

The song almost sounds semi-classical, though not having the swara biz, possibly because of the chorus parts - someone please post the rAgA and other nuances, innovations in that area.

Most people who had the thanga magan songs recorded in TDKs had this song as the first one, don't know why - may be the first song on the first side of the LP that prompted the recording center fellow to follow the order. Or, may be the most loved song by many when the movie arrived. It was #2 for me after vA vA...the order of preference of those 4 great duets have changed over the years and I'll post the current order at the end of the 4th song.

jaiganes
23rd August 2011, 10:28 PM
The movie thangamagan had two golden boys - one Rajini and the other one Raaja...

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 10:31 PM
Took out VM's name, I'm not 100% sure whether it was him or vAlee...

I always thought it was VM - going by the prayOgams like 'sElai chOlai', 'rAja sugam' etc. However, there're some sites that credit the kuRumbu vAlee...someone please post who actually wrote the lines.

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 10:36 PM
I'm surprised to see that the SPB-special-blog (http://myspb.blogspot.com/2006/04/blog-post_19.html) too has a very similar observation on maRRa content :

இந்தப் படத்தில் பாடல்கள் நன்றாக இருக்கும். பின்பு ஆணவம் "அடங்கிய" பூர்ணிமா ரஜனியை - தமிழ் சினிமா பார்முலாபடி - காதலிக்க, இந்த அருமையான பாடல் வருகிறது. காதலின் தீபமொன்று மாதிரியே மிக இனிமையாக அமைந்த பாடல். என்ன.. கா.தீபமொன்று தனிப் பாடல். இது டூயட். பாலுவும் ஜானகியும் பாடியிருக்கிறார்கள. இரண்டாவது சரணத்தின் வரிகளும் சரி (வாலி), காட்சியமைப்பும் சரி - மகா விரசம்!

என்னமோ போங்க! பாலுவுக்காக, ராஜாவுக்காக, ஜானகிக்காக - மற்றதை மறந்துவிட்டு பாடலின் இனிமையில் லயிக்கலாம்.

:lol:

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 10:37 PM
So, the credit goes to Valee :-)

jaiganes
23rd August 2011, 10:40 PM
The song was cited by someone (dont remember the author) to showcase Raaja's maturity in using a soga raagam (subapanthuvaraali ?) for a Louuu situation.. Raga experts. confirm pls.

Plum
23rd August 2011, 10:43 PM
App, it was pulamaipiththan I think.

Plum
23rd August 2011, 10:45 PM
Idhi hamsanandhi allO?

jaiganes
23rd August 2011, 10:51 PM
ok. is hamsanandhi considered gloomy mood song or a 'mood song' (that Raaja has made it to be)?

Plum
23rd August 2011, 10:58 PM
adhi nAkku goddhillA.
But other Hamsanandhis for reference:

vEdam aNuvAnuvuna naadham

Actually, that is all I know.

Does look lilke used for heavy duty emotions(complexity high). Maybe not quite normal for infatuation and luvs

San_K
23rd August 2011, 11:04 PM
So, the credit goes to Valee :-)

விரச கவிஞர் வாலி. வளர்ந்தது அப்படி, கண்ணதாசனோட போட்டி :lol:

@ஜெய்கணேஷ், வாழ்த்துக்கள்

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 11:08 PM
OhO, PulamaippiththanA? Interesting...

dhool (http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/557.html) has an article on this by Venkat in Murasu font that I don't have anymore... If someone can post a brief summary, it would be nice...

PARAMASHIVAN
24th August 2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks again for the hardwork, app. Here's another song where poor Poornima was "victimised" by Rajini :evil:

Neenga Poornima Fan ah ? :lol2:

App anna , Great Going, Great write ups, very expressive writtings :thumbsup:

app_engine
24th August 2011, 10:11 PM
nanRi, Param!

1983 was the "middle order batting" of the college innings and tons of hours were spent in the hostel listening to music in groups with a lot of discussions / analysis / arguments etc.

app_engine
24th August 2011, 10:43 PM
#125 அடுக்கு மல்லிகை
(தங்க மகன், 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3524'&lang=en)

The flute / violin / tablA / santoor sweetie! SJ switches to a very different kuRumbu voice here while SPB sings with a lot of "srungAra rasam". Ofcourse, another bedroom song but even with some mukkal munagals this one doesn't sound as virasam as rAththiriyil, for some reason. Nicely brings in a rich country side to mind -some rich bungalow located in the middle of a coconut grove which is on a river side. Well-watered, green, breezy kind of a setting that invites one for a lazy evening fun with lover on the huge corridor, with no one around!

Well, if one had imagined things like these prior to watching the movie (which I did), terrible jolt in the theater (which too I expected). IIRC, it turned out to be another silukku number. Looking back, one can understand how much clout she had with the distributors - demanding an important timeslot for her in the movies of even the biggies of the field. bayangarams!

I remember posting in the "last-heard-IR-song-thread" about a south-TN MSV fan who started appreciating IR with this number. I can still hear him in my mind - singing aloud in the hostel "mAmpoovE eLam poongAththE, mArbOdu enaiththAlAttE"! He had such a sweet voice and singing capability, we often pushed him to sing and enjoy the occasions! Interestingly, his name too had "gold" in it :-)

One occasion which I clearly remember with this song is when the prelude started in a town bus when my stop arrived. Could not let it go (the bus had such a great sound system and the bass was sounding great as was the treble) and there was no question in my mind of getting down. Possibly a "TsT" bus - a company that ran many town buses in Trichy those days. Student life had so much of vetti time and I could afford to travel until the song was over and return to my destination by another bus :lol:

V_S
25th August 2011, 08:19 AM
App,
Wonderful description and memories :clap: Especially I liked the portions when you intentionally missed your stop just to hear this song Definitely a song not be missed on any occasion. Waiting for this song App :smile:

I had a different experience about this whole film and songs. We had one neighbor and close family friend (even now) of big family just opposite to our house (now they shifted), when I was doing my school. They were really crazy hard core Rajini fans and they hate Kamal like anything. :smile: We used to have conversations about who is doing better and the usual ones.

Every Rajini film they used to go first day and they never forget to take us every time. Those were beautiful times when we used to see some wonderful Rajini films that too with them who enjoy each and every moment of the film. Films include Thanga magan, Sivappu sooriyan, Kai kodukkum kai, Nallavanukku Nallavan, Thaai veedu, Thambikku entha ooru, Padikkaathavan and lot more. Slowly we also got addicted to Rajini.

But this is one of the first films we went with them. Especially during the start of this song, everyone whistled. The makeup of Rajini with peculiar glasses, even though it was funny, it was those moments that could not be explained, but that defined my youth. Too good! When silk enters the room, Rajini will kick his feet and bite his tongue with that vetkam and puts his hand over mouth (vaayile 'avva' pottukarthu, you got it?). They used to pick these scenes and compare with Kamal and challenge if your Kamal can do this. It somehow comes very natural to him. One of Rajini's best acting exhibition. :notworthy: What a jubilant personality!

It's sad we don't see such natural acting talent nowadays in any actor, except a very few.

Again SPB in this song, wow!. See how he sings the charanam 'naan vaaren puthu paai podu nalthorum iLa neerodu' in open throated voice. No inhibition. And the beats after 'adukku malligai'. SJ tantalizing everyone with her singing skills. As you said, the munagals by SPB in pallavi after charanam and similarly SJ during last pallavi. It's a steal and no deal!

My top song of the film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsC-QkCbNTQ Just watch the whole song just for Rajini's acting. Unforgettable!! Why don't they make these kind of films now?

app_engine
25th August 2011, 10:09 PM
Nice write-up, V_S!

While I'm amazed at the ease with which Rajini can do such scenes, the overall setting is quite unpalatable to me :-(

Ofcourse, the subtitles on that youtube provide instant :rotfl:

app_engine
25th August 2011, 10:26 PM
#126 பூமாலை ஒரு பாவை ஆனதோ?
(தங்க மகன், 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3526'&lang=en)

What a song! A total biriyAni-vadai-pAyAsam virundhu!

Despite the minor cost saving on using SPB to also mouth the "irritated audience shout" part, a grand song in every count. The orchestration that freely uses majestic trumpeting sounds, exuberant tune, variety of genres packaged in one song while maintaining the TFM-spirit, joyful singing by the celebrated pair - once again, what a song! It will sound RDB-ish / MSV-ish / IR-ish and many other -ish depending upon how one wants to view the song as it has shades of all of them, IMO, but stand startlingly unique. Not many songs in a similar rich format -prior or after- by IR himself, IMO.

Pity it had to be that way on screen - that groucho keeps resenting about. masAlA directors & imagination are poles apart it appears. And makes one wonder how such an environment let a highly complex composer with a lot of creativity survive. Interesting facts of nature :wink:

Every time the lead guitar - claps - tabla -northie sounding part of 1st interlude got played in that national panasonic audio in the hostel, I've seen boys going delirious! I still don't know how I preferred vA vA pakkam vA to this song those days as the top one.

Ofcourse, my top pick from that album - after all the initial fad weaned away. Now, my order of preference of gold son songs are exactly reverse to the order I posted them in this thread :-) firstu poo mAlai, secondu adukku malligai, thirdu rAththiriyil (see, all SPB-SJ) and lasttu vA vA pakkam vA. I don't think it's a question of personal SJ-bias, this is the natural way these songs aged in my case.

Bala (Karthik)
26th August 2011, 01:38 AM
The song was cited by someone (dont remember the author) to showcase Raaja's maturity in using a soga raagam (subapanthuvaraali ?) for a Louuu situation..
Jai,
I think that was for "Aayiram thamarai mottukkale"

Bala (Karthik)
26th August 2011, 01:38 AM
BTW, App_engine :clap: :mytakku:

app_engine
26th August 2011, 08:09 AM
nanRi, B(K)!

youtube of "a garland changed as a girl" (funny subtitles for all the gold son songs) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzwoBGQ_KQw

V_S
26th August 2011, 09:07 AM
Very well written for a superb song App! :thumbsup: Loved that 'interesting facts of nature' :smile:
For a disco song, Maestro utilizes tribal style arrangements except for the finishing. deivame :D: Amazing syncopation! Yes the rhythm arrangements little bit resembles RDB's Mehabooba (sholay). Maestro inserts qawwali in between which is a again brilliant one!

Plum
26th August 2011, 12:14 PM
app, one of the best for Rajini that IR provided. Grand coverage of Thanga Magan.
Hard core fan of Rajini then as I mentioned before. The guy who says "pOtti pAttnnu sollittu..nalla kadhayA keedhE" was a neighbour and brought passes to the premiere of the movie for us. I remember seeing RM Veerappan(not sure how he is connected), Silk Smitha and K Bhagyaraj. Cant remember seeing Rajini in the premiere.

app_engine
26th August 2011, 04:12 PM
nanRi, V_S & Plum :-)

I remember seeing RM Veerappan(not sure how he is connected)

RMV = Sathya movies i.e. producer of thanga magan.

(Possibly he was with MGR right from Sathya Studio days as manager and over a period of time, took it over completely...his Rajini connection later led to the famous 'oru thadava sonnA - bAshA', 'vedi kuNdu culture in TN' speech & the 'even God cannot save TN' muzhakkam...)

KV
26th August 2011, 05:53 PM
:clap: App, lovely set of posts!
Poo mAlai is among the best of IR+RK. I love the way he starts off the 2nd charanam. There's a bombastic 2nd interlude, and then SPB starts 'saami kooda aadaththaan'. There's just a simple guitar riff keeping him company for 2 lines here before the drums and other instruments join in. Superb effect this thing creates!
And it's quite a tough call to choose between poo mAlai and va va pakkam va. As much as I'm biased towards SJ, I've got used to VJ's vocals in this one so much, that its difficult to imagine this song with anyone else's vocals. Guitars, bass, drums ellam abdiye asAltA assault pannirkaaru indha album la.

app_engine
27th August 2011, 01:53 AM
nanRi, KV!

Time to move on to the next biggie of that deepAvaLi, this one featuring Kamal & Kamal (one of the many ways to have 2 heroines in a movie :wink:)...

app_engine
27th August 2011, 02:35 AM
#127 நானாக நானில்லை தாயே
(தூங்காதே தம்பி தூங்காதே, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3674'&lang=en)

Very smart looking Kamal with Radha & Sulakshana as two heroines in a big hit movie, featuring five hit songs of SPB which got played everywhere in TN! Sweetest among those numbers IMO is this and IR retained his track singing song too in the disk (possibly due to his ammA pAsam). Right from the 'mm-hoo-hmm' start, it a SPB-IR smooth combo rAjyam in this song. It's primarily a flute-tabla delight while also featuring the shenoy (?) in the first interlude. There's also brief veeNai (or veeNai sounding guitar) portions that are delicious. Sweet tablA / bass background keeps the song evergreen.

This one is a nice scene on the movie (even picturization is good, with camera showing some sweet light rays that I remember till today) where Kamal had some opportunity to show some of his emotions. (BTW, I didn't think that ammA actress was comparable to any of the traditional TF ammAs like Pandari Bai, it was a so-so performance).

I remember seeing this movie weeks within release in Trichy town (and then again in one of the suburb theaters and then in the college audi). It was a different kind of masAlA - the foreign return KH was quite enjoyable and different while the local was boring (except some silmishams with Sulakshana). The horse scene was very novel to TF for the time of its arrival.

IR gave a "formula-for-sure-hit" soundtrack for the movie while also giving some extra stuff in at least one song. Which will be the one to host tomorrow...

Plum
27th August 2011, 07:26 AM
That was Jamuna, app. Yesteryear heroine of jaisankar etc. Remember anbulla maanvizhiye?

TTT - where's grouch?

V_S
27th August 2011, 08:43 AM
Lovely song App! I am addicted to this song always, just like Kamal in this film. Regarding the film, I too only liked the foreign return Kamal. We were so crazy about his style and grace. After sakalakalavallavan, I never missed any Kamal films (in theatre) till Hey Ram. I think I watched this film twice or thrice. Great memories! One of the first film songs, we listened clearly on a very good Panasonic tape recorder (from our same friend mentioned in my previous post) and cassette. We were so thrilled to hear the quality. But I would say extremely good quality we enjoyed that time/till date is another Kamal film Uyarntha ullam, especially that Enge En Jeevane (KJY, SJ). I somehow have not listened to that quality even now in any other song with all these technologies. Maestro's recording and Echo that time was too good.

This song highlight is the second charanam. SPB's rendition of these lines. The same tune comes in 1st charanam, but he sings normally, but when it comes to these lines, he is totally into it as the lyrics demands such a singing.

thaai veedu polillai angu thaalaatta aaLillai. Hear the improvisation when he sings the word 'angu' second time. KadavuLe!
koyil thozhum deivam nee yandri naan kaana verillai

And the finishing pallavi again very touchy, almost crying and singing! Still we are searching for his replacement which we will never find. period.

Bala (Karthik)
27th August 2011, 04:23 PM
:clap: App, lovely set of posts!
Poo mAlai is among the best of IR+RK. I love the way he starts off the 2nd charanam. There's a bombastic 2nd interlude, and then SPB starts 'saami kooda aadaththaan'. There's just a simple guitar riff keeping him company for 2 lines here before the drums and other instruments join in. Superb effect this thing creates!
And it's quite a tough call to choose between poo mAlai and va va pakkam va. As much as I'm biased towards SJ, I've got used to VJ's vocals in this one so much, that its difficult to imagine this song with anyone else's vocals. Guitars, bass, drums ellam abdiye asAltA assault pannirkaaru indha album la.
It's "Vaa vaa pakkam vaa" for me (song of the album). We take this song for granted today (its not just disco or R&B). Where do you slot it? And how does he come up with such stuff? Innaikku kettaalum, if you really think about it, it's something you haven't heard before or since. And SPB!!

app_engine
27th August 2011, 08:42 PM
Nice reminiscence, V_S!

Looks like you were in school those days...isn't it nice at times to ruminate:-)

app_engine
27th August 2011, 08:46 PM
Remember anbulla maanvizhiye?

I remember only TMS & PS..., no encounter with what happens on screen - can't say if it were a bad miss or blessing...

app_engine
27th August 2011, 09:43 PM
#128 வானம் கீழே வந்தால் என்ன, பூமி மேலே போனால் என்ன
(தூங்காதே தம்பி தூங்காதே, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3679'&lang=en)

Right from the start, IR makes his intention clear as to the purpose of the song. That is to take people to a bOdhai where they'll keep floating. In line with the situation where the drugged guy supposedly hallucinates. The music is of a different kind from the regular alcoholic types i.e. not the raw booze-out kind that he let SJ play in 'endhan kaNNil EzhulagangaL'. SPB pretty much sings sober thru out and no vAi kuzharals. (Since I don't have any drug experience other than having to deal with a couple of marijuana collegemates occasionally, cannot speak for the authenticity BTW). OTOH, the prelude and interludes themselves - while not resorting to much of distortions / izhuvais - create some mental confusion while maintaining a strong melody. It's simply a very different genre compared to all his songs prior, inexplicable.

While the overall orchestration is of very high order, comparable to the very best in IFM ever, my personal fav is the solo string that plays havoc in the second interlude. What a kuRumbu rAsA there!

SPB meets the challenge to sing without kuzharal but maintaining that float feeling and what a superb variance in modulation! A song of real high order, looks like IR got the services of SJ among the chorus singers (not sure whether she got credited in the disk...also can't recall clearly whether radio announced her name those days).

Both IR & SPB would have shed raththakkaNNeer after handing over this pokkisham to SPM / AVM ruiners :-( Despite having Kamal, all they could come up with was some jiginA stuff with some extras shaking hands and legs. KH himself had dance movements like Mohan (were these "puliyoor" sAdhams?). Very disappointing! However, IIRC, the theater crowd enjoyed the scene a lot those days - graphic effects didn't look all that bad on big screen considering the technology limitations those days. The main irritation was "dance" movements, cheapy kuzhivinar Attams and no remarkable stuff even in close-ups of Kamal.

Plum
27th August 2011, 10:18 PM
Guitar Prasanna has written stuff about vaanam keezhe, app. Link kaNdu pidichu pOdunga. Ninga oru google king

app_engine
27th August 2011, 11:12 PM
Guitar Prasanna has written stuff about vaanam keezhe, app. Link kaNdu pidichu pOdunga

The link from old TFMpage archive goes to raajangahm (old raaja.com) and obviously it's a dead end.

For now, I couldn't find another...if I hit one, will post here.

Just found this blog that reposts AVM Saravan bio (http://snapjudge.blogspot.com/2005/07/blog-post.html) and he has some interesting titbits w.r.t their 1983 movies.

Portions related to TTT :

போதைக்கு அடிமையாகி விடக்கூடாது என்பதை வலியுறுத்தி எடுக்கப்பட்ட படம்தான் 'தூங்காதே தம்பி தூங்காதே.' இந்தப் படத்தில் கிளைமாக்ஸ் காட்சி எப்படி அமைக்கப்பட்டது என்பதற்கு சுவையான பின்னணி உண்டு.

ஒருநாள் நான் கேஷ¤வலாக வித்வான் வே. லட்சுமணன் அவர்களைப் பார்த்துப் பேசிக் கொண்டிருந்தேன். அப்போது அவர் ''நானும் மணியனும் ஒரு ஹிந்திப் படத்திற்காக பத்து லட்சம் ரூபாய் செலவு செய்து ஒரு கிளைமாக்ஸ் காட்சியை எடுத்தோம். ஆனால் படம் சரியாகப் போகவில்லை. எல்லாம் வீணாகிவிட்டது. கிளைமாக்ஸ் காட்சி அருமையாக வந்திருந்தும் என்ன லாபம்? மக்களை அது சென்றடையவில்லையே, உங்களுக்கு வேண்டுமானால் அந்தக் காட்சி பயன்படுமா என்று பாருங்கள்...'' என்றார்.

இதைக் கேட்டதும் எனக்கு ஏதோ பொறி தட்டியது. ''நாங்கள் அந்த கிளைமாக்ஸ் காட்சியைப் பார்க்கலாமா?'' என்று கேட்டேன்.

லட்சுமணன் அவர்கள் உடனே ஏற்பாடு செய்தார். அந்த கிளைமாக்ஸ் எனக்கு ரொம்பவும் பிடித்திருந்தது.

''இதை எனக்குக் கொடுத்து விடுகிறீர்களா?'' என்று கேட்டேன்.

''தாராளமாகத் தருகிறேன்'' என்று சொன்னவர், அதற்காக எங்களிடமிருந்து ஐம்பதாயிரம் ரூபாய் விலை எதிர்பார்த்தார்.

''ஐம்பதாயிரம் அதிகமாகத் தெரிகிறது'' என்று நான் சொல்ல, ஒருவழியாக முப்பதாயிரம் ரூபாய்க்குப் பேசி முடித்தோம்.

கிளைமாக்ஸ் காட்சி என் கையில் தயாராக இருந்தாலும் 'தூங்காதே தம்பி தூங்காதே'வில் அதை எப்படிச் சேர்ப்பது?

விசுவைக் கூப்பிட்டனுப்பினோம்.

''இந்தக் காட்சியை இந்தப் படத்தில் பொருத்தமாகச் சேர்க்கும் வகையில் செய்யுங்கள்'' என்று கேட்டுக் கொண்டோம்.

கதையில் செந்தாமரை கேரக்டரைப் புகுத்தி அதை அழகாகச் செய்து கொடுத்தார் விசு.

கிளைமாக்ஸ் 'லிங்க்' காட்சியை மட்டும் நாங்கள் பம்பாயில் படமாக்கினோம். எது ஹிந்திப் படம், எது நாங்கள் எடுத்தது என்பது தெரியாத வகையில் உரிய முறையில் எடிட் செய்யப்பட்டது.

'நானாக நானில்லை தாயே' என்று கமல் பாடும் பாடலுக்காகவே ஜமுனாவைத் தாயாகப் போட்டோம்.

'வானம் கீழே வந்தாலென்ன... பூமி மேலே போனாலென்ன?' என்ற பாடலுக்கான காட்சி பதினேழு நாட்கள் படமாக்கப்பட்டது. எந்த கிரா·பிக்ஸ் நகாசு வேலைகளும் செய்யாமல், மிட்சுல் கேமராவால் எல்லா டிரிக் காட்சிகளையும் கேமராமேன் பாபு நேரடியாகவே எடுத்தார்.

கமலுக்கு இரண்டு வேடங்கள். ஒரு வேடத்தை இன்னொரு வேடம் மிஞ்சுகிற மாதிரி கமல் நடிப்பை வெளிப்படுத்தி அசத்தினார்.

படத்தில் 'பென்ச் ·பைட்' ஒன்று வரும். பென்சைத் தூக்கிச் சுழற்றி பிரமாதமாக சண்டை போடும் காட்சி. அதற்கும் உபயம் நல்லி செட்டியாரின் மகன்கள்தான். அவர்கள் தந்த வெளிநாட்டுப் படம் ஒன்றின் டேப்பைப் போட்டுப் பார்த்து, அதன் அடிப்படையில் அந்தக் காட்சி அமைக்கப்பட்டது. அந்தப் படத்தில் இடம் பெற்ற ஹெலிகாப்டர் ஸீன், விசுவின் ஐடியா. கிளைமாக்ஸில் அந்தக் காட்சிக்காக முதலிலேயே ஹீரோ ஹெலிகாப்டரில் வந்திறங்குவது போல காட்சி அமைத்து 'எஸ்டா பிளிஷ்' செய்தோம்.

app_engine
28th August 2011, 12:32 AM
So, they did all kinds of cut & paste to make this TTT ( literal c/p from indhi movie, figurative c/p from Nalli sons ubayam foreign tape etc). enna oru kalai sEvai :lol2:

jaiganes
28th August 2011, 12:38 AM
what an awesomest song?
SPB and Raaja deserved national and panasonic awards in buckets for this song alone!!
My fond memory is having sung this in college karaoke singing.

Bala (Karthik)
28th August 2011, 02:49 AM
what an awesomest song?
SPB and Raaja deserved national and panasonic awards in buckets for this song alone!!
My fond memory is having sung this in college karaoke singing.
One of my earliest memories of school. After Moondram Pirai and SKV, Kamal craze bayangarama start airunchu. And even this song video was a rage for me then. CCA period nu onnu veppaanga, last hour nu of Wednesday nenakkaren... appo oru dhaba indha paatta paadinen(?) Lyrics anganga theriyaama tune mattum maindain panni ore line-a thiruppi paaditrundhen :lol: :oops:

Bala (Karthik)
28th August 2011, 03:06 AM
And yeah, this song is yet another guitar special, phaser effects and chords all along (bass no prominent in this number though). The instrumentation sounds very similar to "Thamarai Kodi" (Aanandha Gummi), especially the "thin" sounding 12 string electric guitar

jaiganes
28th August 2011, 03:33 AM
Thoongadhe thambi thoongadhe was the film in which the very famous dispute between kadai cameraman babu and kamal broke out when kamal questioned some camera angles.
Leaving all that aside, Raaja must have been amazed at his own felicity in composing mind boggling tunes for such a trash of a movie. SPB simply became kamal behind the mike and officially pushed away MV from singing for kamal.
coming back to the song.. If I add any more words, it will be a feather on top of a mountain - insignificant . yet I will try to add my little bit..
Setting aside the regular encomiums about arrangement, imagination, interludes, counterpoints, etc., the single distinct feature screaming for attention from naive listeners to pundits is the "ENERGY" - This is pure infinite mass of Raaja's imagination and prowess traveling at the speed of SPB - result is quite einsteinesque - Pure mass multiplied by light speed squared stuff.
The energy yield cannot be even matched by jichael mackson, leave alone kadai choreographers like puliyoor saroja, so Mr. App_yanthram's lament on the fate it met with the kadai technicians is overstated IMO. As the song is pure energy entity - only a kishore(in hindi) or malaysia could have done some justice, yet none can come close to baalugaru when it comes to inserting the casual chuckle and sigh here and there as context demands.. pure alchemy.. thanks Mr.Yanthram for making us remember this song.. immortal stuff.

venkkiram
28th August 2011, 05:58 AM
யுடுபில் தேடிக் கிடைத்தது இது..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os-q7B6u1BQ&feature=related

யாராவது ஒருவர் முழுப்பாடலையும் ஏற்றம் செய்தால் ரொம்ப புண்ணியமாக போகும். ஜெய் சொல்வது போல, இந்தப் பாடலின் மூலம் கமலுக்கு பாலு என்ற முத்திரை கிடைத்தது.. ஆரம்ப இசையே ரணகளம். புதிய உணர்வு. படைப்பாக்கத்தின் உச்சியில் ராஜா என்பதற்கான பாடல்களில் இதையும் சேர்த்துக் கொள்ளலாம். நினைத்தே பார்க்கமுடியாத உருவாக்கம்.. முப்பது வருடம் ஆகப் போகிறது. இன்றைக்கும் அதே உணர்வை.. அதே ஈர்ப்பு.

எனக்குப் பிடித்த இடையிசை, சரணம் இரண்டாவது.. பாடலுக்கான அடித்தளமான ஒரு தாளக்கட்டோடு, உணர்வோடு போய்க்கொண்டிருக்கும் இசையை அங்கெ மாற்றியிருப்பார். ஒற்றை வயலின் இசை வந்து செல்லும் சுவாரஸ்யமான இடம் அது. "அடடா விழிமேல் அழகுகள் தெரிய..". இந்த முழுப் பாடலையுமே பாலு ட்ரம்ஸ் வாசித்துக்கொண்டே பாடியிருக்கிறார் என்பது போன்ற பிரமை இன்றும் எனக்கு இருக்கிறது. இணை பிரியா நண்பர்கள் போல இரண்டுமே (குரலும் ட்ரம்ஸ் இசையும்) ஒரு சேர பயணிப்பது.. Class.

தூ.த.தூங்காதே படம் மறக்கவே முடியாத நிறைய நினைவுகளை தன்னுள் புதைத்து வைத்திருக்கிறது. எங்க ஊர்ல வாடகைக்கு வி.சி.ஆர் விடும் பழக்கம் வந்த்திருந்தது. இப்போ இருக்கிற டி.வி.டி தரத்திற்கு போட்டிபோடும் மாஸ்டர் பதிவுகள் அப்போதே அரபு நாடுகளிலிருந்து இறக்குமதி செய்துவிட்டார்கள் பணிக்கு சென்ற முஸ்லிம் சகோதரர்கள். ஊர்ல நடக்குற சிவன் கோயில்..காளியம்மன் கோயில், அய்யனார் கோவில், பிள்ளையார் கோவில் திருவிழாக்கள் எல்லாத்திலயுமே யாராவது ஒருவரின் உபயச் செலவில் வீடியோ படங்கள் ஒளிபரப்பப் படும். பெருசுகளுக்கான எம.ஜி.ஆர்/சிவாஜி படம்..ரஜினிக்கான படம்..கமலுக்கான படம். குறைந்தது மூன்று படங்கள் பார்ப்போம். அதுல தூ.தா.தூங்காதே படத்தை பலமுறை தூங்காமல் பார்த்திருக்கிறோம். அப்போதெல்லாம் நண்பர்கள் கூட்டத்தில் ரஜினி , கமல் என இரு அணிகள் ஊரையே ரெண்டாக பிரித்துவிடும் அளவிற்கு வளர்த்து நின்ற காலக் கட்டம். கமல் அணியில் அறிமுகமான குட்டிகளில் நானும் ஒண்ணு. குதிரை சண்டை. அதுவும் ஒவ்வொரு குதிரையின் கால்களை நோக்கி கமல் மரக் கட்டைகளை வீசி சரிய வைப்பது, பென்ச் சண்டை, இறுதிக்காட்சியில் வரும் ஹெலிகாப்டர் சண்டை..வானம் கீழே வந்தால் என்ன, வருது வருது விலகு விலகு பாடல்கள். எல்லாமே கண்கொள்ளா காட்சிகள்-விஷயங்கள். பொங்கல் வாழ்த்து அட்டைகளில் கமல் படங்களை சேகரிக்க ஆரம்பித்தது தூ.த.தூங்காதே படத்திலிருந்துதான். என்னோட ஒரு கசின் ஏ4 பக்க அளவில் "வானம் கிழே வந்தால் என்ன" பாடலில் வரும் ஜிகினா உடை கமல் இருக்கும் பொங்கல் வாழ்த்து ஒன்றை எனக்கு அனுப்பியிருந்தார். அதையெல்லாம் பள்ளிக்கு சென்று சக நண்பர்களுக்கு மத்தியில் பீத்திக் கொண்டது, பெருமை அடித்துக் கொண்டது.. தொண்ணூறுகளின் ஆரம்பம் வரை அந்த வாழ்த்து அட்டையை பாதுகாத்திருந்தேன். 84 -ல் கருப்பு -வெள்ளை (Brand :EC ) டி.வி வீட்டிற்கு வந்தது. இலங்கையிலிருந்து ஒளிபரப்பாகிய ரூபவாகினி நிலையத்தில் வாரம் ஒரு முறை வந்த "பொன்மாலைப் பொழுது" நிகழ்ச்சியின் ஆரம்பமே வானம் கீழே பாடலில் வரும் (காணொளியில் 1 :02 முதல் 1 :07 வரையிலான) கமல் நடனத்திருந்து தொடங்கும். அதை வைத்து "எங்காளு இலங்கையிலும் ஃபேமஸ்.." என பெருமை அடித்துக் கொண்டது..

V_S
28th August 2011, 10:16 AM
Excellent posts, memories and anecdotes App, Jai and venkki! :clap: Jai said it all. An immortal composition! :notworthy: The prelude itself gives the bOthai feel added to that SJ's humming totally gets us out of the world and makes us fly and feel lighter! What a grand and stylish composition equally complemented by SPB's exquisite singing and rich and sophisticated orchestration.

As venkki said, I too loved this film and songs that time. Kamal will be extremely handsome in this film. :smile:

genesis
29th August 2011, 10:00 PM
I like "Naanaga Naan Illai Thaye" compared to "Amma Endrazhaigatha" in Amma songs. For some reason the Mannan song feels "fake" to me (Influence of P.vasu's picturisation??!!). Unnikrishanan's "Uyirum Neeye" remains my top amma song.

I look forward to "Summa Nikkatheenga" - my most favorite song from TTT. SPB and SJ just run riot in this song.

app_engine
29th August 2011, 10:49 PM
Since I'm behind by a day, let me post both the duets of TTT today...ofcourse, genesis' choice comes firsttu...

app_engine
29th August 2011, 11:45 PM
#129 சும்மா நிக்காதீங்க, நான் சொல்லும்படி வைக்காதீங்க
(தூங்காதே தம்பி தூங்காதே, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3677'&lang=en)

There's this tradition in TF right from MGR days (and possibly before). There'll be this naive girl - muRaippoNNu or neighbor or dhooraththu sontham or simply an one-time-observer-of-heroic-act, who will do a "thoraththi-thoraththi-kAdhaliththal" of the hero. In most masAlA movies, this character is a must that makes every man in the audience yearn for such a girl in his life. (Also possibly make every girl -note, not married woman but girls / adolescents - feel one of the following a) AhA, me too need to do the same to get a good boy b) what silly nonsense, En ippadi vizhundhu pudunguRA, I can't imagine doing like that :lol:)

Well, this one is such template song on screen. My guess is, after the grand success of SKV (the equivalent of mAttukkAra vElan), there was some idea among money bags to make a MGR out of Kamal (segappA, azhaggA irukkAru - silambu saNdai pOduvAru etc). So, make a double-act movie / thoraththi thoraththi loving female / free references to MGR-ism (get even the title from nAdOdi mannan song) etc. Ofcourse it wasn't as open and outright attempt like the gimmicks of KBR (dressing, dancing, silambu sandaiying exactly mimicking MGR) but a subtle one to harness such techniques to get a mass audience attraction.

A no-inhibitions-Sulakshana helped them with the task and IMO their laddu supplier IR didn't even have to think much to come up with this number. Quite a sweet one, with SPB & SJ handling the thuLLal song without much alattal. Thanks to the catchy pallavi (also the kuRumbu anu pallavi 'pArkku irukku, beechchu irukku, poNNu irukku, innum enna vENunga?') and the thuLLal rhythm arrangement, the song was an instant hit. (IMO, IR made a recycle of this success formula for his rAjAthi rAjA - 'en kitta mOdhAdhE nAn rAjAthi rAjanadA').

app_engine
30th August 2011, 01:38 AM
#130 வருது வருது விலகு விலகு வேங்கை வெளியே வருது
(தூங்காதே தம்பி தூங்காதே, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3680'&lang=en)

The second SPB-SJ duet from TTT, another hit song where SPB sings portions in a garjanai voice with the potential to mess up the throat. With trumpeting sounds and deployment of a range of similar wind instruments, IR made it a very majestic and powerful song. Add to it the racy rhythm and a more engaging melody for saraNam, the song was absolutely catchy and play-worthy for any public function. People lapped up this song completely and one could hear it in tea stalls / buses and the other usual media regularly.

By this time, recording centers and the TDK cassettes have become almost the primary method of music listening to most upper-middle class people of TN. I say "upper" because, the indigenously built-sold cassette players were still not available. There were possibly a few bush / philips models but IMO those didn't go in a big way with the public yet. It was still the burmA bazAr sold national panasonics and sanyos that were bringing music to the public. So, the majority of middle class was still not exposed to cassette players in a big way. (That I saw happen from 1986 onwards as the electronics group I worked for had an audio division which initially started with SKD kits, then CKD kits from Japan - to start pumping audios in big numbers into Indian market. Philips too did the same and many others started in a similar way. Thus locally manufactured products started competing hot in the later half of 80's but for the first half of 80's, it had to be "smuggled goods").

Though there were two Kamals, to satisfy the "original image / specs", -that KH had to have >1 girl per movie-, both duets went to the same local KH. Also, the 'ada rAmA' solo where Radha teases KH was for the local KH. To ensure his kAdhal mannan tag and make his core group happy :wink: Radha didn't have much to do except look good -i.e. more sophi than Sulakshana - + dance around, which she did without much struggle.

V_S
30th August 2011, 01:58 AM
Too good post App! The way you kept to write about MGR connections till this song is just amazing. :clap: You could have written about the MGR connection when you made your first post for this film, but that wouldn't be apt. Even MGR had few amma songs, but that would not have created much interest in reading. Keeping it till this song is so perfect and apt. It made your post thoroughly enjoyable! :thumbsup: And what a song!

venkkiram
30th August 2011, 02:32 AM
App சொல்வது போல எண்பதுகளில் ஆர்கெஸ்டிராக்களில் பிரபலமான பாடல்களில் "வருது வருது" பாடலும் ஒன்று. குறைந்த இசைக்கருவிகளைக் கொண்டே கலக்கிவிடக் கூடிய துள்ளலான பாடல். ஆர்கெஸ்டிராக்களில் கவனிக்கப்பட வேண்டிய ஒரு சுவாரஸ்யமான விஷயம் என்னவென்றால் ஒவ்வொரு பாடலுக்கு முன்பும் கொஞ்ச நேரம் குட்டி ரிகர்சல் செய்துகொள்வார்கள். அது நம்மை "எந்தப் பாடல்" என்பதை கோடிட்டு காட்டிவிடும். நமது உற்சாகத்தை பலமடங்கு கூட்டிவிடும். ஆரம்ப இசையில் வரும் புல்லாங்குழல் இசையை எலக்ட்ரானிக் ஆர்கனில் ஒருவர் மிக அருமையாக இசைத்துக் காட்டினார் அதுபோல. இன்னும் ஞாபகத்தில் இருக்கிறது. பாலு பல்லவியை ஆரம்பித்து வைக்கும் ட்ரம்ஸ் இசைக்கு கிளாப் செய்த காலம் அது. ( திருச்சி , தஞ்சை , கும்பகோணம் பகுதிகளில் எண்பதுகளில் பிரபலமாக இருந்த ஜேம்ஸ் பேண்டு வாத்தியக் குழு ரொம்ப அழகாக வாசிப்பார்கள். அண்ணன் - தம்பி இருவர். அண்ணன் கிளாரிநெட் வாசிக்க, தம்பி சேக்ஸபொன் வாசிப்பார். முக்கால் வாசி பாடல்கள் ராஜாவின் இசையில்.. யாராவது பார்த்து கண்டுகளித்த அனுபவம் இருக்கிறதா? பகிர்ந்து கொள்ளுங்கள்..)

genesis
30th August 2011, 04:37 AM
Summa Nikkathinga youtube link.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTDHPAzP_yg

I really love SPB commenting "paavam" around 2.00 also SJ's giggles towards the end of the song.

both duets went to the same local KH.
I think "summa nikkathinga" was for the foreign-return "திருந்திய" kamal.

venkkiram
30th August 2011, 06:27 AM
சும்மா நிக்காதிங்க பாடலில் என்னைக் கவர்ந்த விஷயம் என்னவென்றால், பல்லவியைக் கேட்கும் போது பத்தோடு ஒண்ணு பதினொன்னு போல தோன்றும். ஆனால் சரணத்தில் ராஜா நம்மை எங்கேயோ அழைத்துச் சென்றிருப்பார். வாங்க வாங்க..னு கை பிடிச்சி மலையேறிக் கொண்டே..டப்பாங்குத்து என்றாலும் அதிலும் கர்நாடக ரசத்தை இழைத்திருப்பது அவருக்கே உரிய தனிக்கலை. மற்றொரு சிறந்த உதாரணம் புன்னகை மன்னனில் வரும் "சிங்களத்து சின்னக் குயிலே.." சரணம் ஆரம்பிக்கும் போது நம் எதிர்ப்பார்ப்புக்களையெல்லாம் தவிடுபொடியாக்கி நிராயுதபாணியாக்கி வேடிக்கைப் பார்ப்பது ராஜாவிற்கு உரியது.

app_engine
30th August 2011, 08:15 PM
I think "summa nikkathinga" was for the foreign-return "திருந்திய" kamal.

Is it? Bad memory on my part, I stand corrected.

app_engine
30th August 2011, 08:19 PM
nanRi V_S!

You could have written about the MGR connection when you made your first post

My plan was to write about MGR connection only at the last song (the title one, pretty direct relationship) but tongue slip-Ayi munnAdiyE vandhuruchchu :-) In any case, I cannot avoid the MGR reference in my next post too.

app_engine
31st August 2011, 12:24 AM
#131 தூங்காதே தம்பி தூங்காதே
(தூங்காதே தம்பி தூங்காதே, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3678'&lang=en)

IIRC, the title song in both senses (i.e. has the title of the movie as pallavi & gets played when title credits roll on the screen). Sometime back Plum pointed out in the TF section why this too showcases lack of creativity - much like reuse of old film titles ('uthama puthiran' reuse is not worse than 'rAman eththanai rAmanadi' reuse according to him).

This is another rare song where IR repeats an interlude in toto. (I now have 4 so far - madhana mOga roopa sundari of IPNV, pOttu vaiththa kAdhal thittam of SV, kOdi kottikkoduththAlum of PS & this). On that count, this sounds like a Shankar-Ganesh song as they had the practice of repeating 1st interlude as the 3rd in many 3-saraNam songs.

This song refers to MGR with a peculiar title "புரட்சியாரு" which almost sounds deragatory. IIRC, what was originally given to MGR by DMK was "புரட்சி நடிகர்". When he started ADMK, that got modified as "புரட்சித்தலைவர்". Though the fear of dad kept me away from any katchi manRams in the village, whenever I spent summer vac in grandpa's, I had lot of time, freely visited these manRams (all parties) as much as I visited public libraries and read newspapers like aNNA (editor MGR), murasoli, nava indhiyA, theekkadhir and such stuff. I don't think any of ADMK mags referred to him as 'puratchiyAru' ever. Well, AVM / SPM / KH / IR / SPB got away with it :-)

A very simple song, shenoy / flute / minimalistic rhythm etc - still it got played everywhere at the time of arrival. KH factor, MGR factor, hit-movie-factor, all-other-songs-excellent-factor etc pulled this song IMO to make sure this was heard on radio / buses & tea stalls. I'm sure no one runs after this today but this thread's chronicling calls for it, as also the happy singing by SPB!

app_engine
31st August 2011, 01:47 AM
I'll take up the third biggie from that deepAvaLi next and finish it (2 great duets) prior to moving to a few smaller-movie-songs and then the year-finale-grandie:-)

Divine22
31st August 2011, 10:12 AM
Is it? Bad memory on my part, I stand corrected.

Summa nikkathinga, was for the local Kamal (not the spoilt, addict Kamal). As the scenes goes, Sulakshana will force the local Kamal to act & sing a duet in front of her friends, kathalai proof panrathukku . ;)

Divine22
31st August 2011, 10:28 AM
Listening to Summa Nikkatinge after a very long time, What a sweet number, filled with konjals & kenjals....love it!
I cant help thinking 'Eppdi iruntha Sulakshana ippdi aayitangge' hehe... I always thought she has nice voice and not bad of an actress.

Coming to Varuthu-varuthu, what a riot of a song!!! simply stupendous! The way Kamal makes his entry in this song, swinging & jumping from the chandelier , I still think it was his one of his most stylish entries...Bringing my memories of watching this movie in video tape with my family as a kid.... good times....

App sir, You are doing an exceptionally superb job ! such a joy to read your posts. Keep em' coming plssss.

Thanks.

Plum
31st August 2011, 11:20 AM
Yes, it was for local Kamal

Weird Accent Kamal - Vaanam Keezhe, Naanaga Naan
Local Kamal - Varudhu Varudhu, Summa Nikkadhinga, <Radha Song>

TMT discussion almost mudinju pOchu - not a breath from Grouch. :shock:
How can this be?

balaji
31st August 2011, 03:01 PM
App

Great going! Thanks..

Can't wait for 2 of the greatest duets of all times
"Oh mane mane" and "Solai Poovil.."

SPB/SJ the greatest singing pair.

Ok movie, these 2 songs were undoubtedly the highlights

Plum
31st August 2011, 03:41 PM
puratchiyAru must have been a metre -requirement.
namma thalaivar mettukku dhAnE pAttu. Vali(?) ezhudhinadhu meterukku vandhirukkAdhu

IR: meterukku matter sari varalai
Vaali: adhukkenna Raja, meterukku matter ezhudhidarEn
AVM Saravanan: evLO genius!

PARAMASHIVAN
31st August 2011, 03:51 PM
Ofcourse, the subtitles on that youtube provide instant :rotfl: indeed :rotfl2:

PARAMASHIVAN
31st August 2011, 03:59 PM
I look forward to "Summa Nikkatheenga" - my most favorite song from TTT. SPB and SJ just run riot in this song.

yep, my Fav too , but never knew it was from TTT , I thought it was from some Mohan movie :oops:

PARAMASHIVAN
31st August 2011, 04:05 PM
App anna

unga listla eppO "Salangai Oli " Varuthu, I cant wait for that, what a movie :notworthy: what a songs :notworthy:

app_engine
31st August 2011, 06:06 PM
nanRi, Divine22, for your kind words!

Summa nikkathinga, was for the local Kamal (not the spoilt, addict Kamal). As the scenes goes, Sulakshana will force the local Kamal to act & sing a duet in front of her friends, kathalai proof panrathukku . ;)

So, looks like I stand "uncorrected" :-)

app_engine
31st August 2011, 06:08 PM
nanRi, balaji!

Can't wait for 2 of the greatest duets of all times
"Oh mane mane" and "Solai Poovil.."
SPB/SJ the greatest singing pair.

These are for today & tomorrow :-)

app_engine
31st August 2011, 06:10 PM
App anna

unga listla eppO "Salangai Oli " Varuthu, I cant wait for that, what a movie :notworthy: what a songs :notworthy:

Like I indicated before, this will be the last movie that'll get posted for the year 1983, even though alphabetically and chronologically ahead of many (came in the summer) :-)

app_engine
31st August 2011, 10:58 PM
Before I jump into the next song, another observation on the 'thoongAthE' song, that supports the theory of deliberate MGR-ism, even from IR's part - that portions of the song draw heavy inspiration from MSV songs. One is 'nAn pAththA paiththiyakkArEn, Om pAttanukkum vaiththiyam pAppEn' of neethikkuththalai vaNangu for the pallavi (the song DMDK chief recently quoted when mu-kA ridiculed VK as paiththiyam).

The other one is a Sivaji song - 'jinjinukkAm chinnakkiLi sirikkum pachchaikkiLi' of rAjapArt rangadurai. 'pAththAkkA ALu romba muRukku' of the saraNam sounds very similar to 'thOlirukka soLa muzhungum ALu' in TTT saraNam...

app_engine
1st September 2011, 12:45 AM
#132 சோலைப்பூவில் மாலைத்தென்றல் ஆடும் நேரம்
(வெள்ளை ரோஜா, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4026'&lang=en)

Lovely song with a special rhythm arrangement. Song that instantly brings that evening feel - even the 70's evening feel despite being an 80's number. Possibly because I yearned to hear this number on SLBC a lot but alas that was not going to be in the coming years :-( ok, let me not get into the whole sOgam part when discussing this happy number...

veLLai rOjA, featuring Sivaji in dual role + Prabhu / Ambika + Suresh / Radha was another hit movie from 1983 deepAvaLi with rAsA music. That meant, a hit movie for rAsA with each of the three biggie stars (NT-KH-RK) released on the same day - which was quite a rare thing for any MD :-)

This one was supposedly a remake from Malayalam and I managed to see at "bhelec", after it ran out of steam in the main city theaters. Late seeing means having to listen to lot of hype prior. So, after all that hype about "murder-mystery" etc, got totally irritated while watching the movie. (Sivaji enjoyed playing multiple roles - 'dEvanin kOyililE' "vellai rOjA" priest, police inspector, 'nAgooru pEttaiyilE' disguise as muslim - but the director, same Jagannathan who did thangamagan, messed it up big time). Probably a much better original in Malayalam but I never cared to find out what it was.

Suresh-Radha song in excellent hilly / foresty setting with an exclusive "loop" created by rAsA. So sweet - seems he himself was proud of it as he included a brief postlude featuring that. The melodic prelude is one of his very best as well. A relatively long pallavi adds to the sweetness. Top star pair SPB-SJ delivering it with a lot of enthu - the "nana nana nana nana na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na" humming in the end of the saraNam is exquisite - making this song stay in mind forever. There's such a perfect sync between that humming, the rhythm, the overall background score -AhA- mesmerizing!

Sure they don't make songs like'em anymore!

skr
1st September 2011, 12:08 PM
Sure they don't make songs like'em anymore!
Edjactly ..What a song ..Thanks App for the song and the nice write up ..

app_engine
2nd September 2011, 01:49 AM
#133 ஒ மானே மானே மானே உன்னைத்தானே
(வெள்ளை ரோஜா, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4025'&lang=en)

Though this song got my 2nd rank only (i.e. after 'sOlaippoovil'), among the public it was the top hit . There was even a movie made with the first line as its title (Mohan-Oorvashi starrer where Kamal sang a song as pinnaNippAdakar for Mohan :shock:). Nice song, with the celebrated SPB-SJ pair singing in the 'made-for-each-other' mode, reverberated all around TN via radio / buses / tea-stalls / recording centers etc. Its rise to top spot at that time could be due to the Prabhu factor or better picturization (I don't remember how it looked like on screen). Whatever, it was more popular and I'm not complaining. ellAmE rAsAvOda puLLainga thAnE :-)

I remember posting about my next door hostelmate who was a big ambi chEchchi admirer (ok, on one side was the KBR fan who became a biggie in wireless telecom field - this mech engieer was on the other side). He was crazy during this time period -even having her pic in the room :shock: Though we used to watch a lot of movies, discuss about them all the time etc, it was unusual among my wingmates to host an actress poster in the room. Mainly because most of us were "studious" category and also "bayandhAnguLees for unexpected appA-ammA visit". adhaiyum meeRi if he had a poster, one can understand how much crazy he was! (Well, what I may never understand is how one can go crazy over ANY actress). IIRC, it was a Bombay Dyeing poster which was something like 50% of actual size. They released similar posters on most top actresses those days, in saree (another one I can remember is of Sridevi's), and such posters were quite popular in hostels.

There was also this craze for cricket star's posters - Sportstar was quite a rage then - and the clothing companies had such cricketer posters as well. I remember going to Trichy NSB road / TheppakkuLam area with a number of classmates and watched them beg the storewAlA for such posters. (More on the 1983 summer later). While on this, I should not forget mentioning the beloved ice cream shop in singArathOpe - Sea Kings (I think they had a branch in BHEL township also, like Chella stores). What a lovely place to go in that hot town when malaikkOttai radiates heat in the evening!

Much like rAsA song, another love those days :-) 'O mAnE mAnE mAnE' reminds me of Seakings' delights - though I don't think I ever heard that song in that shop.

groucho070
2nd September 2011, 08:10 AM
That was Jamuna, app. Yesteryear heroine of jaisankar etc. Remember anbulla maanvizhiye?

TTT - where's grouch?UllEn ayyA.

The film that made me a fan of Kamal.

The cassetes had the scenes before the particular songs. Like "Janagaraj: Oosipottukittu pengalOdu vilayadalAm. PengalOdu vilayAdittu OosipOttukalAm", Kamal, "Neengga Oosipodungga please", then straight to the phsychedellic opening of VAnam Keezhe song.

Tea kada bench fight, I fell in love. Of course, later I found out it was inspired by Jackie Chan's Drunken Master.

Mom dismissed it as KalyanarAman remake, not even the drug addict angle make her change her mind :sad:

As mentioned before, IR's version of nAnAga nAn illai felt better.

Songs were played in a mall back in hometown (deepavali time), Varuthu Varuthu stood out.

App, kalakkurEngga. The MGR connection makes sense, as we were MGR fans then, and it was easy to fall for Kamal here.

Plum
2nd September 2011, 10:18 AM
App, oh mane mane being a bigger hit = ambi chechi factor. Ask grouse.
Thangai never reached akka's levels of popularity maong adolescent youth, although, much as I am frightened by her boxer shoulders, I too think better of thangai rather than Chechi

groucho070
2nd September 2011, 10:25 AM
App, oh mane mane being a bigger hit = ambi chechi factor. Ask grouse.Oru vagaiyila, yes. But that was the time when Sivaji-Oda payyan (local paper Q&A on him said, "pulikku piranthathu...") fascination was growing. I was already a fan from Kozhi Koovuthu. Imagine the anti-circle. Prabhu->Kamal->Rajini->Sivaji.

V_S
2nd September 2011, 07:22 PM
App,
Nice recollection of college times. I too remember having some posters of Madonna, Whitney and even Samantha fox ('touch me' song was so famous that time) in our room. But we used to remove those posters in a hurry when my parents or relatives arrive.:smile: We used to purchase the weekly 'Sun' magazine that time where it will feature top (US/UK) 10 songs and albums and we immediately go the shop and record those songs.

I remember seeing this film thrice in theatre especially for that Radha/Sivaji murder suspense, during the interval Another freezing moment. May be that was the first time I saw such a thrilling movie. App, My favorite too is 'Solai Poovil' then only comes 'Maane Maane'.

venkkiram
2nd September 2011, 07:35 PM
வெள்ளை ரோஜா.. அசத்தலான கதை. பாதிரியார்...கொலை..திருப்பங்கள்..புலனாய்வு..காதல். . இப்படிப் பட்ட கதைக்களம் அப்போ புதியது. "ஓ மானே மானே"... இன்ஸ்டன்ட் ஹிட். எனக்கு உலகமெலாம் பருவமழை, நாகூர் பக்கத்துல பாடல்கள் ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும். அதுக்கு அப்புறம் ஓ மானே மற்றும் சோலைப்பூவில்... வெள்ளை ரோஜா என்றவுடனே ஞாபகத்திற்கு வருவது சாட்சிகளை வரிசையாக நிற்கவைத்து திருடனை கண்டுபிடிக்கும் காட்சியில் காவலர் சிவாஜியின் முகப் பாவனைகள். சிறந்த நகைச்சுவைக்கு இதையும் பரிந்துரைக்கலாம்.

Plum
2nd September 2011, 08:22 PM
Good point V_S - first thriller type movie for someone of my age(assuming you are closer to mine). Actually, heck, idhellAm childhood-la best film I have ever seen range.

And that Ambi Chechi/Radha difference was how, for a long time, I assumed Grouch is older than me by few years(which turned out to be wrong). In our family, the Ambi Chechi fans were all cousins who were 2-3 years older than me. Cousins of my age were of Radha perusasion. I was the exception with neither as my favourite. So, in an unthinking way, I tag Ambi Chechi die-hards to my cousins' age.

V_S
2nd September 2011, 08:48 PM
Plum,
I think you should be younger than me. :smile: I was studying 10th grade when I saw Vellai Roja (November/December 1983). Guess my age. :wink:

Also, Ambi chechi craze was there till I reached college. After that it slowly died down. Due to new environment and first year ragging'leye ellaam marandhu pocchu :smile:

app_engine
2nd September 2011, 09:16 PM
க்ரவ்சோ, ப்ளம், வெங்கிராம் மற்றும் வி எஸ்,
உங்கள் கமெண்ட்டுகளுக்கும் தூ.த.தூ. மற்றும் வெ.ரோ. பற்றிய விவரங்களுக்கும் மிக்க நன்றி :-)

தீபாவளிக்கு வந்த பெருசுகள் படங்கள் முடிந்து விட்டதால் அந்த வருடத்தின் வேறு சில சிறுசுகளுக்கு செல்லலாம் :-)

app_engine
2nd September 2011, 09:44 PM
#134 என்னம்மா கோபம்? ஏனிந்த வேகம்? பொன்னான பூமுகம் என்னாகும்?
(வீட்டுல ராமன் வெளியில கிருஷ்ணன், 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4004'&lang=en)

Another sweet guitar -synth number, typical of the early 80's stuff, that IR delivered to this Manivannan movie (possibly a remake from Telugu or vice-versa). SPB as usual at ease and smooth as he didn't have to stretch a lot for this number IMO. Possibly finished the assignment in < 10 minutes (as he had to race and finish all those 1000's of songs within a short period of time to get into guinness book). While he effortlessly delivers it, he makes sure all his touch / punches are appropriately in place:-) (BTW, is rAsA in guinness book yet?)

This song was a moderate hit, more known than the movie. On radio often and also occasionally on buses / tea shops, definitely found a regular place on the TDK cassettes that got feverishly recorded those days.

I remember watching this movie in Trichy a week or so after the release and rated it to be average. Sivakumar / Radhika starrer, the villain caught the eye with his above-average performance. I don't remember his name but possibly the same acted as villain in the Mammootty - Sumalatha hit 'niRakkoottu' (somewhat similar role, eyeing another man's wife). And, nice performance by Radhika, she is quite a capable actress.

app_engine
3rd September 2011, 01:22 AM
In 1983, we've already crossed the number of songs from any year prior!

32 certified hits already and we have a few more to go :-) What a colossal year!

If one cares to look at rAsA filmography for that year (http://rakkamma.com/films.phtml?year=1983), he/she can appreciate how many more hits rAsA had that didn't feature SPB.

simbly ruling!

V_S
3rd September 2011, 04:16 AM
That's good number App! I don't remember hearing this at all. Thanks for introducing.:smile: I am seeing rakkamma site after a long time, it seems they have updated the site recently. Earlier when I went to this site i remember seeing around 50-55 films in 1990/92, now it has gone upto whopping 64 films. Need to check again. Thanks for linking the site as well.

app_engine
3rd September 2011, 08:55 AM
sOlaippoovil youtube (here the ammA looks like mOL, similar eyebrow etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVXKF8A7DHc

app_engine
3rd September 2011, 08:59 AM
O mAnE mAnE mAnE unnaiththAnE youtube (ambi chEchi's hurried dancing is always funny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX15cmI00fI

groucho070
3rd September 2011, 09:24 AM
We are undeterred, app, undeterred :smile: Thanks for the links.

Plum, by the by, it was not these films I fell for her, it was earlier, to be precise, Andha 7 Naatkal. The song, "Thendral Vanthu...". But I saw that film possibly in 1983 (two years later in video cassette). What an awesome year it was.

app_engine
5th September 2011, 08:38 AM
Three songs due on Monday (for Sat/Sun/Mon)...with so much to do in the long weekend (including a nice long sleeeeep), I'll struggle a bit to catch up :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
6th September 2011, 02:15 PM
App Anna

I am unable to post "regularly" for the next couple of weeks, due to office changes, please continue your gigantic service :notworthy:

app_engine
6th September 2011, 10:02 PM
There are two other SPB songs from veettula...movie that cannot be called hits, possibly heard a few times on radio but I have to really stretch the memory...so, skip. Just for ref, one is a duet with SPS 'Atthuppakkam thOppirukku' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4001'&lang=en) and another solo 'manamum guNamum' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4002'&lang=en).

So, moving on to another movie for the song for Saturday...

app_engine
6th September 2011, 10:16 PM
#135 மார்கழிப்பார்வை பார்க்கவா தாமரைக்கைகள் சேர்க்கவா
(உயிரே உனக்காக, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3747'&lang=en)

What a sweet and soothing song from an unreleased movie! This one was among the last few numbers that managed to get airtime in IOKS before we lost it. Prior to the "recording center era", IOKS was the sole source for songs from unreleased movies. However, as seen in this thread, we had the recording centers mushroom during early 80's and this monopoly had gone. Most ardent IR admirers who had access to cassette players feverishly captured every new disk coming out to the recording center on their TDKs. This song happened to be one like that and I remember hearing this on buses too (apart from homes).

As the movie didn't get released (supposedly a Prabhu-Sulakshana starrer) and the title got reused by Motherland pictures with Lakshmikanth Pyarelal as MD, the identity of this song somewhat got lost :-( ( Later-day-UU was the first MP movie without IR. The producer who started having 'ilAyarAjAvin innisai mazhaiyil' kind of ads on the posters for the first time, went away from him in 1986).

The confusion is captured by dhool Saravanan here in a tfmpage archive thread (http://tfmpage.com/forum/8490.20880.03.21.22.html) :

yaaro, 'maargazhi paarvai- Uyire Unakkaga- SPB & SJ' would be on my list each time I discovered a new recording center, but when after days of delicious anticipation, I brought back the tape home, I would be dismayed to to find that the @#$%&*^! person had taped 'I want to be a rich man' or 'Kavithaigal viriyum vizhiyile' :((

Finally I found a Srilankan friend who had the record with him ( yes, Prabhu in a white uniform--I thought it was a Naval Officer uniform!), and taped all the songs from him

Needless to say SPB and SJ excel in this song!

app_engine
6th September 2011, 10:20 PM
I have still 3 more songs to post to catch up.

Looks like it's time for the last movie of the year as I have exhausted all other movies from 1983 that had SPB hits :-)

Come on oceans, your confluence is on!

app_engine
7th September 2011, 01:33 AM
#136 வான் போலே வண்ணம் கொண்டு வந்தாய் கோபாலனே
(சலங்கை ஒலி, 1983, ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3204'&lang=en)

Gavaskar duck, Srikanth duck, Mohinder / Sandip Patil / Yashpal all perished for single digits.

India 17/5 against Zimbabwe in a crucial league match in the 1983 Prudential Worldcup in England.

That was the day and time when our 3rd sem ejjAms were over and we were happily planning to go to the latest Kamal release in Kalai arangam theater in Trichy. (Don't remember whether it was already called 'Thiagaraja Bagavathar ManRam', it was a state / city owned theater). Every one of my first 7 semesters in the college had exams postponed - at least once. Same was the case with this 3rd sem too and we never had "post-exam" holidays. One way it was better because I could stay in hostel during the "study holidays", enjoying all the freedom that came with it.

Well, we knew that there are not many holidays before classes start again, so not wasted any time to start for the movie. There was neither any TV in the hostel nor live telecast anywhere. Only radio commentary. Since the matches were in England, we could happily use short wave radios to listen to 100% englees commentary from foreign stations (rather than suffering the 15 min englees - 15 min hindi kodumai by AIR).

On the 1983 cup, Indian team wasn't a favourite to even enter the semis but started off fabulously, beating the top seeded WI in the first league match and then Zimbabwe. Then came two losses - to Aus & then to WI and our spirit was down. Most of us did write them off and didn't care much. Since Zimbabwe also had a win against Aus, some of us were busy with calculators on the run rate business, wondering whether Kaps' boys will make it to semis.

And then came this disastrous start with Zimbabwe in the penultimate league match :-(

In any case, our enthu for the "movie-that-too-Kamal-movie-on-ejjAm-end-day" carried us to the town, with one in the gang not forgetting to carry his pocket transistor, checking the score even during the interval.

For some reason, I didn't have much idea about the movie, prior to watching it. Possibly because it was from a Telugu original (sAgara sangamam, for which IR won his first NA). There weren't much articles / titbits / hype in the magazines at all IIRC. Never heard the songs before. All that I knew was ejjAms are over, going to town, watching this Ilayaraja-Kamal movie! :-)

Meanwhile, Kapil started his historic innings while we were on the bus to Trichy and was in extreme form (terrific is an understatement, most of us know the rest of the history about his 175 n.o.).

Once inside the theater and the movie got started, I totally forgot the world around me! rAsA was in extreme form there! When Janaki starts to sing for ShailajA's dance program, appadiye oru mei silirppu! Can't express in words! And Kamal, AhA, in what extreme form! The whole crowd was delirious when he did the demo to Shailaja (panja boothangaLum muka vadivAkum)! Simbly stunning to see even the tumbler dance on the ground! What a powerful performance!

It was a day of extreme peelings for me - even thinking of that day makes my whole body silirththufy!

While totally loving the flute beauty of this song, it is needless to mention that we were also ROTFLing to the brilliant picturization by K Viswanath. Geeta gave excellent company to Kamal (as did SPS to SPB) in this evergreen 'vAn pOlE vaNNam koNdu'!

app_engine
7th September 2011, 02:07 AM
#137 நாத வினோதங்கள்
(சலங்கை ஒலி, 1983 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3200'&lang=en)

Tell me if there's any who can listen to this song without tapping his / her feet - unless that person doesn't have them! (கால் இல்லாதவரும் தலையை மட்டுமாவது ஆட்டி அனுபவிப்பர் என்பது என் பணிவான கருத்து!) Even if they miss the pallavi, they got to feel like dancing when Shailaja starts the 'kayilai nAthar' portion - what a thuLLal melody with great accompaniment of mridhangam, flute, veeNai and a thorough classical feeling! A song that can be called arresting as I cannot allow my attention to defocus at any point!

Niwas did a fine job in this song of capturing the capabilities of Kamal and the beauty of Jayapradha (ennA azhagu avunga!). Relatively short song on screen but the disk version had the 'kAviri mangai vandhALammA ennudan kai veesi' portion together. If my memory is right, the radio used to play them together too. K Viswanath was quite smart in not including the folk-like portion in the movie part as that could have taken off some shine. (mEni / minukki / kulukki / mElAdai / vilakki etc business sounded very filmy / silly for kAviri mangai).

I haven't watched the Telugu original but when I watched the first time in theater, didn't feel it was a dubbed movie at all! I think the initial scenes featured Thamizh newspaper and they took enough care to do lip sync. It's highly possible that they shot in both languages separately for some scenes at least - as otherwise such an excellent picturization is extremely difficult.

balaji
7th September 2011, 07:54 AM
App-Engine

The movied had 5 great SPB songs, your post said 3 more songs and hence made me wondering which film you are talking about
Yes surely one of the better dubbed movies. Sagarasangamam is a classic; Salangai Oli is no lesser in all aspects except for the dialogues and the so-called comedy track.

Great Job as always

Plum
7th September 2011, 08:45 AM
I understand that you guys experienced only the dubbed version and such is the greatness of IR, still feel that it is a masterpiece.
Trust me, the original is 10 times the masterpiece that this is.

And the lyrics, app. Unfortunately, the tamil version has those thaLukki minukki lyrics. Original lyrics are authentic telugu folk, and while light on meaning, are sonorous and tune-apt. The lyricist, probably a spiritual cousin of Vaali, puts in a cheeky reference to "viswanatha palukai". You could take that as a reference to Lord Shiva or the Director.

And that tune itself was a separate song in Sitara(directed by Bharathiraja I think) starring Bhanupriya and Suman. (Kinnera saani vachindhamma)

Actually, this is not as bad as Geethanjali-IT, thanks to the presence of SPB in the tamil version. But once you have heard the original, the dubbed version is literally useless. Definitely the lyrics are a letdown.

Plum
7th September 2011, 09:29 AM
And didn't veetula raman have a title song - not so much a song played during a title as one with the title as its pallavi - sung by SPB as well?

Veetula raaman veliyila krishnan eppodhum agaadhamma?

Plum
7th September 2011, 11:45 AM
vEdam aNuvaNuvuna nAdham - vEdham aNuvilum oru nAdham. The former is a 'normal' phrase in Telugu. The latter looks strained and made up. These are the perils of dubbing but I can only state the net result.

Secondly the meaning, aNuvaNuvuna nAdham - nadham integrated into every cell of my soul. aNuvilum oru nAdham - meh, so distant, weak and diluted.

nA pancha prANala nAtya vinOdham - en aindhu pulangaLaiyum AtkoNda nattiyam ennum adhisayam

nAn pAdum something something nAtya vinOdham - dance strangeness in song I sing or something like that.

See the world of difference.
Again, the perils of translation. Remember the pramAdham-brahmAndam translation joke in Mumbai Express?

vaali, eh?

groucho070
7th September 2011, 12:02 PM
Vairamuthu illa? I thought it was him.

Plum
7th September 2011, 12:11 PM
Oh avurA? venkkiram varradhukuLLa :yessir:

Plum
7th September 2011, 12:12 PM
A good case study for the Telugu lyrics thread. I wish suresh/raagas take it up. I am fighting to keep my job :(

groucho070
7th September 2011, 12:21 PM
Sorry mate, collection illAtha thread-ukku election vaikka koodathu

(chumma rhyming-ku sonnEn).

Plum
7th September 2011, 12:47 PM
idhukkellAm enna vekkam. collection illAdha thread dhaen. kalaisevainAlE idhellAm jagajam dhAnE

groucho070
7th September 2011, 12:49 PM
For folks like me, the lyrics translated well with the lip movement. In fact, the entire film doesn't feel like dubbed film, thanks to good writing and performance.

Plum
7th September 2011, 01:43 PM
ippOdhaikku lyrics postidurEn. appuram discuss paNNalam

vaagardhaaviva sampruttou vaagardhap pratipattayE
jagatahpitaram vandE paarvateeparamESwaram vandE paarvateepa ramESwaram

naadavinOdamu naaTyavilaasamu parama sukhamu paramu
abhinaya vEdamu sabhakanuvaadamu salupu parama padamu
bhaavamulO a.. bhangimalO a.. gaanamulO a.. gamakamulO a..
bhaavamulO a.. bhangimalO a.. gaanamulO a.. gamakamulO a..
aangikamou ee gati sEyaga

naadavinOdamu||

nee mada nee madanisa nee...................
kailaasaana kaarteekaana Siva roopam
pramidE lEni pramadhaalOka himadeepam
kailaasaana kaarteekaana Siva roopam
pramidE lEni pramadhaalOka himadeepam
navarasa naTanam darisanisanisaa jatiyuta gamanam
darisanisanisaa navarasa naTanam jatiyuta gamanam
sitagiri chalanam suranadi payanam bharatamaina naaTyam bratuku nitya nRutyam
bharatamaina naaTyam bratuku nitya nRutyam
tapamuni kiraNam taamasa haraNam
tapamuni kiraNam taamasa haraNam Sivuni nayana trayalaaSyam
dhirana dhirananana takiTa takiTatadhimi
dhirana dhirananana naatyam dhirana dhirananana takiTa takiTatadhimi
dhirana dhirananana laaSyam
namaka chamaka sahajam naTaprakruti paadajam
nartanamE Sivakavacham naTaraaja paada sumarajam
dhiranana dhiranana dhiranana dhiranana dhira .........

naadavinOdamu||

Plum
7th September 2011, 01:50 PM
One important tid-bit:
This phrase
vandE paarvateeparamESwaram

This is sung as
vandE paarvateepa ramESwaram

That's interesting verbal gymnastics by the lyricist, Veturi Sundara Rama Moorthy, whom, if you cared to read the thread [Shameless Plug] IR Telugu Lyrics and Songs thread (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9437-IR-Telugu-Songs-and-Lyrics), is a recently demised famous, talented Telugu lyricist.

He was asked why the song is sung the way it is while it should be, on paper, the first phrase as it is.
He replied that it was a pun

vandE paarvateeparamESwaram - Namaskarams to Parvathi and Paramashivan.
vandE paarvateepa ramESwaram - Namaskaram to Parvathi's pathi Parameswaran.

Nice, delightful wordplay which - I bet - got lost in translation, although it was retained as it is.

groucho070
7th September 2011, 02:18 PM
I yam jumping the gun, but was the Takida Tattimi lyrics close to the Telugu one? It has traces of Vairamuthu all over it (en kathai ezhuthida marukkuthu en pena....kathal ennai kathalikkavillai [which he repeated in a Chandrabose song]).

Plum
7th September 2011, 03:03 PM
No. I like the original lyrics better.
And love ennai love pannalai was for Hamsalekha not C Bose

groucho070
7th September 2011, 03:13 PM
Oh okay, I confuse both a lot.

Plum
7th September 2011, 03:22 PM
About the song itself, what majestic, complicated phrases in succession below:

navarasa naTanam (swaram) jatiyuta gamanam - set the pace with a trot

sitagiri chalanam suranadi payanam - go low here decrease pace

bharatamaina naaTyam - Maintain tempo, wait for the kill

bratuku nitya nRutyam - Start Pouncing

bharatamaina naaTyam bratuku nitya nRutyam -
tapamuni kiraNam taamasa haraNam - Pounce!

tapamuni kiraNam taamasa haraNam - Rip!
Sivuni nayana trayalaaSyam - Kill!

And right here: WARNING: DANGEROUS CURVE AHEAD!

dhirana dhirananana takiTa takiTatadhimi
dhirana dhirananana naatyam dhirana dhirananana takiTa takiTatadhimi

app_engine
7th September 2011, 09:42 PM
Great discussion, Plum, on the Telugu originals!

Please keep'em coming!

app_engine
7th September 2011, 09:45 PM
App-Engine
The movied had 5 great SPB songs, your post said 3 more songs and hence made me wondering which film you are talking about

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about my account keeping (one song per day) and how I'm behind by 3 songs, as I didn't post on Sat / Sun / Mon (Sep 3/4/5) .

Even now, I'm behind by a day and I'll post two songs today (for Sep 6 & 7) to catch up :-)

app_engine
7th September 2011, 09:51 PM
And didn't veetula raman have a title song - not so much a song played during a title as one with the title as its pallavi - sung by SPB as well?

Veetula raaman veliyila krishnan eppodhum agaadhamma?

You're right Plum, it's by SPB (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4003'&lang=en) and I remember hearing this a few times.

thiraippAdal says MV and that prompted me to skip it even without mentioning.

Cannot be called a "hit" IMHO.

app_engine
7th September 2011, 11:27 PM
#138 தகிட ததிமி
(சலங்கை ஒலி, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3203'&lang=en)

Kozhikkode is a very interesting place, a city where it rains heavily during the monsoon and the place is perhaps second only to Mangalore in annual rainfall in SI. I had the privilege of being there on two different monsoons - raining non-stop, getting drenched thoroughly etc. One of those occasions has a connection to 'thakida thathimi'. Actually, 3 connections - rain, liqour and food :-) Fortunately, it was a 'sugha booze' and not 'sOga booze'. (Well, this was not college days when I was a toto teeto but a decade later).

The rain connection is obvious, the song's music has the rain sounds, KH gets drenched while dancing on the well pipe. Similarly wet was I in Kozhikkode, with two friends, when we reached hotel room after a training day. (Oh, those trainings away from home were always fun).

Obviously, on a rainy evening in a hotel room in Kozhikkode with close Malayali friends, "getting wet" was the natural thing to follow. And the friends gave a different kind of training in liquid diet. A new method for the first time. Swallow 1/3 of a 650 ml Kingfisher bottle and refill that part with whisky and consume :lol: What a terrific feeling, real nice high!

தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தா, தரிகிட தா, தரிகிடதத்தரிகிட தா, தரிகிட தா... those KH "dialogs" prior to thakida thadhimi are among "the best ever" in Indian films!

Well, after a couple of hours, we were extremely hungry. Observing that I was such a big parOttA fan and that I was having parOttA as BF/Lunch/Dinner all days (one should taste parOttA at Kozhikkode, mouth waters as I write this), the friends arranged to go to a very special place that they knew. One of the friends, who looks like Sathyan Anthikaud, had a great tongue for taste and terrific database on top places to eat. So, happily complied, pushing all three of us into one of those incredible autos. (Even in 90's one can go to most places inside Kozhikkode for < 5 bucks on auto, perfect meter, returns 50p etc , great, great drivers!).

Now, that night's food was once-in-a-life-time kind of experience! What great parOttAs and what a fantastic curry! All three of us weren't even counting and let the server do that for us :-) appadiyE enna oru piramAdhamAna, sugamAna anubavam - no comparisons at all! (The bill was so low - I don't know how those businesses survived but ever thankful for providing such a delicious meal).

Now, what is the connection between this song and that food?

The scene that leads to the song - the தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தா one - is so much one of a rare kind. Phenomenal!
(Unlike that night's meal, though, this can be had whenever we feel like - thanks to technology / youtube.)

No words can describe the great way SPB has sung this song and the great way rAsA put together the melody and orchestration - one of a kind number!

Plum
7th September 2011, 11:53 PM
A song on which volumes can be written. A song whose mention gets the vAtAvaraNam inside your head raining cats and dogs. The thunderous percussion rains through the song thus amplifying the ambience.
Rhythm innovation, eh? This is rhythm innovation masquerading as background music for the song.

Note for grouch - this song throws lip sync to dustbin and Vairam does his own thing. Result is as much failure as naadha vinodham where failure was induced by the attempt to stick to lipsync.

narudi brathuku natana -
Ishwarudi thalapu ghatana
Aa reNdi natta naduma
Neekkendhuku intha tapana?

That's thunderous declaration of his philosophy by the protagonist keeping with his fiery persona.

In comparison, this looks a limp statement:
Ulaga vaazhkai nadanam
Nee oppukonda payanam
Mudiyum bodhu thodangum
Thodangum bodhu mudiyum

That's really not from our fiery protagonist: this is from some wimpy soul unlike our grandiose failed artist

Plum
8th September 2011, 12:01 AM
Ofcourse, the peak moment in the song is SPB's aaaaa aaaa humming with the percussion stopping its thunderous effect as a stunned Kamal beholds Jayapradha.
The veenai strains just before that as Pradha decides to wear kungumam - P Vasu and KSR, choosi nErchkOndi. That is how you milk thali sentiment and move the viewer classily. Not by getting ponnambalams throwing manja thanni on Manorama.
I am digressing. If those veenai strains aren't the inner feelings of a conflicted traditional women, I am the queen of England

Plum
8th September 2011, 12:16 AM
I think given the strong Telugu brahmin ambience of K Viswanath's world, which reflects in his movies, songs and lyrics, with endless off-the-cuff references to Hindu Gods and the myths associated with them in parallel to the story and situation, atheist Vairam is not exactly comfortable in translating the idioms seamlessly. It is a tough task, admittedly, and probably needed Kannadasan to do justice.

It is not that Vairam doesn't know Ramayana or Mahabharatha or possibly even scriptures and other stories. But it is clearly not inside him as it would be inside someone like Kannadasan or Veturi, lyricist for this song. Veturi probably is able to empathise with the protagonist's cultural background as he is from the same background. The references slip out from him very casually - they don't even seek attention as references.

Plum
8th September 2011, 12:21 AM
Needless to say, all those posts came spontaneously at the mere mention of the song. There was no need to refer by playing it.
Etched in memory. This is art fusing 5 extraordinary artists each of them in extraordinary form. No, I am not counting Pradha, who is slightly more than adequate.

genesis
8th September 2011, 12:49 AM
I think given the strong Telugu brahmin ambience of K Viswanath's world, which reflects in his movies, songs and lyrics, with endless off-the-cuff references to Hindu Gods and the myths associated with them in parallel to the story and situation, atheist Vairam is not exactly comfortable in translating the idioms seamlessly. It is a tough task, admittedly, and probably needed Kannadasan to do justice.

It is not that Vairam doesn't know Ramayana or Mahabharatha or possibly even scriptures and other stories. But it is clearly not inside him as it would be inside someone like Kannadasan or Veturi, lyricist for this song. Veturi probably is able to empathise with the protagonist's cultural background as he is from the same background. The references slip out from him very casually - they don't even seek attention as references.

It looks like Venki is busy or not in a mood to engage. Let me step-in.

You are brain storming all ideas why Tamil lyrics is not as good as Telugu one while ignoring the obvious. The Telugu lyricist got the first chance to write lyrics and most probably got reviewed by director and revised few times. Tamil lyricist had to write song that lip synch well with Telugu lyrics, fit the tune and also make some sense in Tamil. Also we will never know how much of it was translated by Raja himself. There is no wonder it is not as good as Telugu original for you and I wonder about the usage of weird words in Tamil. Salangai Oli songs have very "foreign" sounding words. They could have just released the original as is, like Sankarabaranam.

Of all K.V's movies Sippikkul Mutthu has the best Tamil Lyrics (Vaali?) and another Kamal movie has the worst.

app_engine
8th September 2011, 01:27 AM
#139 வேதம் அணுவிலும் ஒரு நாதம்
(சலங்கை ஒலி, 1983 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3205'&lang=en)

Excellent, musically rich number that does the climax of this movie. Still, in my ranking within the movie, this comes at the bottom - for inexplicable reasons. How can a song that sounds so sweet, has SPB and his sis, classically based, supposedly for a historic scene - not occupy the top spot in the album? Well, to explain this, I need to get into the favourite food analogy again :wink:

Back to Coral hostel days of 3rd sem where me and my room mate - "narambans" in appearance - were often wondering how those northies are so mOtA but we are not. The brilliant conclusion was "it has to be the diet". Well, we decided to switch to the "B" mess just behind our hostel where most northies ate.

The morning menu was pretty much similar to the other messes, kaLLichchottu kAppi in the early AM, then at 8 AM or so 4/5 slices of bread -toasted with butter on both sides- plus eggs - often mixed with onions / cayenne + black pepper powders & salt, not allowed to fully fry on the dOsaikkal , called "onion-half-boiled" - plus kaLLichchottu tea.

Lunch was different - chappAththees got served daily, have 4-5 of them with excellent dAl fry & beans, then rice with dAL -ghee, rasam, vegetables, fish on some days - and finally a cup of curd with one spoon of sugar. We had food much like everyone else around us. Followed by another kaLLichchottu tea at 3 PM.

Dinner was a variety of things each day, rich diet no doubt and we ate like any of those mOtA fellows - quantity and quality alike for months - but, alas, we continued to be the same songi narambans :-(

Well, we got educated on genes, metabolism and many other factors that play via this exercise.

Much like that for the last songs of Sindhu Bhairavi and Salangai oli. Excellent songs, hyped settings within the movie (ArOhanam in the case of SB, periya build-up with hospital scenes in the case of SO) but the end result is not the gold medal within the album. Reason? The genes / metabolism / etc that elevated the other numbers beyond reach :-)

SPS has to be commended for this song, tremendous effort to bring in the feel!
(aNNA paththi sollavE vENAm - not HajArE aNNA, ShailajAvOda aNNA)

app_engine
8th September 2011, 01:38 AM
Needless to say, all those posts came spontaneously at the mere mention of the song. There was no need to refer by playing it.
Etched in memory. This is art fusing 5 extraordinary artists each of them in extraordinary form. No, I am not counting Pradha, who is slightly more than adequate.

:clap:

BTW, who form the extraordinary pAnch?

rAsA, bAlA, hAsar, KV & Veturi?

app_engine
8th September 2011, 01:45 AM
Finally, after the long weekend, I've caught up with the song-a-day track!

There is this glorious duet left from SO, that will get posted tomorrow and bring 1983 to a sweet conclusion :-)

Plum
8th September 2011, 09:07 AM
Genesis, I am only talking about the result. Don't take it as a slur on the lyricist. We recognise the perils of dubbing. The point I was making was that in this song, a probably frustrated Vairam throws lip-sync to the bin. He doesn't even make an attempt to match lip-sync, unlike in Naada Vinodam. Despite the jettisoning of this constraint, the results are unsatisfactory. To express something, you need to experience it. KV, his sensibilities, Veturi, this particular character in the movie all have alien sensibilities to Vairam. Therefore, his effort is intellectual not heartful. That's not a disgrace to the lyricist.
The exmaple I quoted is telling - in telugu, there is an explicit reference to the very Hindu philosophy of narudi brathuku natana, Eshwaridi talapu gatana. (Fate and God's will). This is in keeping with the character's background and sensibilities.
Vairam translates it to the same meaning but a more generic, agnostic platform. He says "you agreed to take this journey of life. It will start and end when it does". Explicit reference to Ishwara is removed. The emphasis is more on the individual here. In Telugu, there is almost a derisive self-effacing, resigned acceptance of God's will. It is still not heartful acceptance. There is a taste of bitterness in it(afterall human being nee vERa enna paNNa mudiyin unnala iraivan viruppam appadi irukka) but also that the protagonist is coming to terms with it.
In tamil, the words imply a very philosophical stoic full acceptance without the nuances.

Since he made the point of veering away from the constraints of lip-sync for this song, one can say Vairam didn't do enough justice to the character and situation. The usual dubbing constraints argument don't apply to this song.

I made that nuanced differentiation between the song with lipsync constraint and the one without it, in my previous post itself.
Yet, you clubbed the two and claimed "lip sync" constraint for both the songs together. Why?

Plum
8th September 2011, 10:04 AM

BTW, who form the extraordinary pAnch?

rAsA, bAlA, hAsar, KV & Veturi?

Yes, ofcourse.

Plum
8th September 2011, 10:09 AM
Tamil lyricist had to write song that lip synch well with Telugu lyrics, fit the tune and also make some sense in Tamil. Also we will never know how much of it was translated by Raja himself. There is no wonder it is not as good as Telugu original for you and I wonder about the usage of weird words in Tamil.
Wow!

sari, oru vishayam sollunga. iLaya nilA pozhigiradhae-la which lines we'll never know how much of it was written by Raja himself?

Secondly, as I pointed out, in this song, Vairam broke free of the lip-sync constraint in this song so the dubbing-lip-sync-constraints defence doesnt apply to this particular song. Having broken free of the constraints, he had the opportunity to showcase his skills fully. While he showcased his own poetic skills, and his own take on the philosophy, IMO, he missed out on the nuances of this character and its sensibility.

KV
8th September 2011, 05:27 PM
Beautiful posts there, App. Silky as a drive off VVS' blade!
Plum, genesis, keep the discussion going... very interesting stuff.

genesis
8th September 2011, 08:40 PM
Wow!

sari, oru vishayam sollunga. iLaya nilA pozhigiradhae-la which lines we'll never know how much of it was written by Raja himself?

Secondly, as I pointed out, in this song, Vairam broke free of the lip-sync constraint in this song so the dubbing-lip-sync-constraints defence doesnt apply to this particular song. Having broken free of the constraints, he had the opportunity to showcase his skills fully. While he showcased his own poetic skills, and his own take on the philosophy, IMO, he missed out on the nuances of this character and its sensibility.

I am not sure whether you really do not know or pretending. It is well known in hub, that VM wrote it as "Salavai Nila Pozhigirathey", but IR changed the word "salavai" to "Ilaya". As we all know "Ilaya Nila" sounds better than awkward "Salavai Nila", but VM's words bring the image of full moon in your mind immediately.

I think you are so hung-up with VM not referencing God. I never missed God in these lines, since I do not understand Telugu. Remember it is not translation, but dubbing. If you ask VM to translate w/o other constraints he may be able to come-up with better words.

Also this song is mostly long shot with rain so lip-synch was not important. As you may know lip-synch is required only when the viewers can observer the lip movements. So even with in a song, based on the shot on screen, lip synch may or may not be required.

Every language has its own specialties; if you attempt a literal translation of certain sentences it may sound vague in another language or even funny. I am sure you know many Tamil songs that got butchered when they got dubbed in Telugu. (As Telugu people are more accommodative of dubbed films compared to Tamil). Unfortunately as my Telugu is close to 0%, I am not able to reference any song.

One interesting incident: I was a big fan of Chiranjeevi movies in my teens. In one of the movie some character referenced a full Thirukkural in a dialogue, and the whole theater shouted to register their objection.

Plum
8th September 2011, 10:37 PM
You have not answered a single point I made. Instead, your responses are more and more generic and circumventing my points. Why?
For starters, I didn't ever point the lack of lip-sync as a problem so why justify lack of lip-sync:huh:

Do you pretend not to understand or just another muddying tactic?

genesis
8th September 2011, 11:02 PM
You have not answered a single point I made. Instead, your responses are more and more generic and circumventing my points. Why?
For starters, I didn't ever point the lack of lip-sync as a problem so why justify lack of lip-sync:huh:

Do you pretend not to understand or just another muddying tactic?

It is very simple. You prefer Telugu lyrics over Tamil based on your understanding of Kamal's character. Since I am not exposed to Telugu Brahmin culture, I am missing the whole point. It is probably same with VM also. End of story.

app_engine
8th September 2011, 11:10 PM
nanRi, KV...hope my food analogies weren't irritating.

Before someone jumps into the conclusion that I'm a glutton / food maniac, big disclaimer - I still continue to be more or less a lean fellow and not a great connoisseur of foods.

Last evening my amerikkan boss was asking me to choose a restaurant for project launch celebration (we just finished a launch that I worked for almost a year) but my memory on restaurants / food stuff is so bad that I was in :oops: mode, finally blurting out "olive garden, my fav".

app_engine
8th September 2011, 11:23 PM
The funny thing about that "olive garden" is the fact that on 99% of my visits there, it was the same "soup & salad" and same minestrone soup each time and filling up the stomach with the great breadsticks :lol:

V_S
9th September 2011, 12:25 AM
App,
Was missing the fun. Excellent posts with some wonderful memories. I really enjoyed your post on keeping track of salangai oli as well as 1983 world cup match against zimbabwe. Yes you cannot miss either of them. :smile:

But my favorite of salangai oli is 'Vedham Anuvilum our Nadham'. As I said in my mudhal mariyaadhai post, my top most favorite film and this would be my top most composition. Added to that, this is one song I can hear/watch million times without getting tired. Especially when Shailaja remembers kicking him intentionally while learning dance from him and feeling guilty during this song is the true highlight where KV beats IR here (may be first time :wink:). KV takes this song to a level even IR would have never thought of. A True classic!

Another reason I could not think of any song which has just the notes (swaras) giving so much bhaavam. I normally hear many judges in TV shows saying notes has nothing, but beyond the notes, there is bhaavam, feel, soul, which the singers should bring out. But here again Raja is unique in bringing out the emotion with swaras only, no lyrics. Way beyond anybody's imagination. I am totally bowled out by the starting swaras SPB sings and the swaras which follows the first line of charanam 'sangeetha naatiyame oru yaaagam' .

Ultimate lines in 'Uyir pirinthaalum nadamiduvene, en uyirai thedukireen maane', 'Natarajan padhathil thalai saayuma, naan sindum kanneerum karai meeruma' and 'saavin osai ketkum pOdhum paadham aadaadho'.

What an energy in this composition and how many twists and turns. Nothing like this!

Plum and Genesis, very interesting discussion. Thanks Plum for providing very good insights of telugu lyrics. Original is always the best, no comparison can be done.

app_engine
9th September 2011, 02:04 AM
nanRi, V_S, for the fine write-up on vEdham!

I've reserved my most fav to post in the end :-) With SPB-SJ-IR-great melody-sweet picturization - it screams aloud (despite promoting otherwise in the pallavi) for the gold medal :-) Unfortunately, there'll be some food reference (not a wholesale takeover) in that post as well...

app_engine
9th September 2011, 02:09 AM
சலங்கை ஒலிக்கும் சாப்பாட்டுக்கும் சம்பந்தம் செய்வது மொட்டத்தலை+முழங்கால் / அமாவாசை+அப்துல் காதர் போல என்றாலும், இரும்படிக்கும் இடத்தில் வரும் ஈ போன்ற எனக்கு வேறு என்ன எழுதத்தெரியும்?

(பி.கு. நான் இசை விமரிசகன் அல்லவே)

app_engine
9th September 2011, 03:23 AM
#140 மௌனமான நேரம், இளமனதில் என்ன பாரம்?
(சலங்கை ஒலி, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3199'&lang=en)

If anything wants to be called "sukhAnubhavam", then that has to feel like listening to this song!

Period!

No exceptions!

Like the smile of a child, feel of a furry pet, smell of a certain bakery when you walk on the lane parallel to Virudhunagar bazAr...or the fantastic meal cooked by my friend's mom...on the day he played this very song in his house's motta mAdi at uRaiyoor. She is among the top cooks who have ever fed me ( a very select few in that "lifetime list")!

We've met this friend before in this thread as the one who had a taste for old HFM LP's and a lover of RDB. Also as the one who was among the early ones to get "that" National Panasonic stereo and played his demo cassette featuring Paul Mauriat's arrangement of Mozart Symphony. Well, this was the occasion when he played that cassette, followed by playing the salangai oli songs! The music listening session after a top-taste-meal on banana leaf!

(Such a nice guy who sweetly reminded me, like, "hey, there's soap near the wash basin", and thus introduced me that nice habit of washing with soap! Even after all those flu messages getting posted in the bath rooms, I often see fellows here in the corporate office of a top multinational in America walk straight back to seat from urinal without handwash, yuck).

As mentioned before, he is now my co-bro (bachelor at the time when we both slAgiththufied music in his mottamAdi on a warm evening, enjoying the breeze along with PM & IR...didn't know it was PM then, also he wasn't a rAsA fanatic like me but enjoyed all kinds of music). Attending his wedding 2 years later resulted in me finding my mate, proving this theory : "marriages are made in wedding ceremonies" :lol2:

This song must be one of the best picturized songs ever in IFM history, IMSO. Especially the scene where JP switches on the music system, sits on the floor -enjoying, immersed in thoughts while drying her hair! Wow! SPB & SJ both in their very special elements, right from the humming in the prelude till the end. rAsA had enough kalakkals, with his tempo changes / stop-starts and what not! simbly pugundhu veLayAdal! The melody, interludes, background orchestration - all top class stuff!

Despite enjoying all the songs and being overwhelmed by them, I wasn't expecting that they'll give NA to IR. After all, there had been phenomenal scores like nizhalgaL that went unnoticed before and we had zero expectation. There was this notion that only "serious" stuff gets NA. It was a surprise that a janaranjaka album like sAgara sangamam got NA, despite comprising of lighties like vAn pOlE, thakida thadhimi & mounamAna nEram - the kinds with no parallels in the prior NA winning music of KV/KVM combo :roll:

The appAviththanam, vekuLiththanam, lajjai etc shown by Kamal after developing feelings for the rich woman - AhA, enna azhagu, enna azhagu!

I'm a little confused to see that SPB won NA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_honors_conferred_on_S._P._Balas ubrahmanyam)too for sAgara sangamam. Confusion because the article says year 1984 as I very clearly remember this to be a 1983 movie. Someone please clear this confusion...

app_engine
9th September 2011, 03:41 AM
ok, 1983 is done! I'll post the compilation of url's tomorrow.
(This time I'll avoid the "arabian nights story" style linking and provide all 140 together in one post if possible)

Plum
9th September 2011, 05:08 AM
Kv, firstly there was no discussion between Genesis and me.
Sorry to pick on you but that is precisely the superficial reading that annoys me.
Even now, gen hasn't understood my posts. Obviously, an opposite view point is to be welcomed.
But here, there is no opp view point. He makes 3 posts seeming as if he is contradicting me and finally comes to the same conclusion as me.

I see this in two lines
1) Lack of understanding of what I posted but an urge to defend his idol. That urge is acceptable but I also expect logic along with it
2) An attempt to muddle the water by saying unrelated or muddling things and devaluing the discussion

To call this a discussion - I take that as an insult. Again, I don't mean to pick on you and I respect you and your contribution here but just wanted to express my annoyance at the way a genuine discussion is being prevented by either lack of understanding or cunning or both

Plum
9th September 2011, 05:10 AM
Sorry the post is addressed to v_s not kv

balaji
9th September 2011, 05:40 AM
App

Excellent Songs; Apptly complemented with excellent write up...

Awards are given the following year and hence the article might have the said the award in 84 (instead of saying it is for 83)

Anyways, IR, SJ and SPB richly deserve any music related award in the world.

In word CLASSIC!!!

Thanks
bala

kiru
9th September 2011, 11:48 AM
Plum/Genesis - good discussion. It is very difficult to capture the nuances of one language in another language. Even Tagore regretted Geetanjali translation. I do not like TIS translation that much, even though I think it is a good attempt. In movies, pazhassi rAja, lyrics or kaalapani lyrics sound much better in malayalam. That is why I try to learn other languages (not very successfully). I envy you guys enjoying 'sundara telungu' lyrics.
Re: college/food stories - no objection..only acceptance/appreciation from me. That egg recipe was called 'podi mass' in college of engg. guindy (CEG). I just lived on that+ rasam and curd/sugar for lunch. Hated the sambar there. breakfast was 'bread omellete' - just egg/bread/salt/pepper. good/better than the paste of a pongal. Saw 'nayagan' both tamil and hindi versions being shot in CEG, apart from many other movies.
I liked the description of 'sukhAnubhavam' for that song - what would that word be in chaste tamil (?).

Plum
9th September 2011, 12:59 PM
Kiru, i said perils of dubbinh in my very first post.
I really don't know why I am repeatedly inundated with " you know plum it is difficult to translate".
When did I say otherwise?

KV
9th September 2011, 01:44 PM
A gentle, hushed humming with just a bass guitar keeping company. Then, a momentary silence. The song then softly blossoms, like a tender flower. Divinity is thy name, Raaja.

Plum, I kinda see why the 'discussion' rubbed off on you the wrong way. PesAma, pudhusa oru thread 'lyrical challenges in dubbing songs' nu open pannIdalAmA? Neenga anga vandhu kavignar ezhudhina dubbing/lifted songs paththi eduththu vudunga (adhdhaan appo Veda, TR Paapa lAm irundhAngale.. sure must be some suttufied songs with kavignar's varigal, illa?). KammAn tiger!

app_engine
9th September 2011, 04:45 PM
nanRi balaji & kiru :-)

& kiru, I'm glad that some of your college memories got stirred up :-)

Reg, sukhAnubhavam's Thamizh - one has to think about it. Malayalam (sanskrit) came automatically to mind and to the post...

Plum
9th September 2011, 06:37 PM
KV, my critique of Thakita Thadhimi was least about the challenges of dubbing a song.
thirumba thirumba adhai thAnE solREn?

Me: This song doesnt even fall under lip-sync as lip-sync was not used. So, there was no dubbing constraint on VM. He failed to use this advantage to reflect the spirit of the original.

See how people have been refuting this:
Gen: Becausee of lip-sync constraint, dubbing songs cannot be good as original hence thakita thadhimi didnt shine in tamizh lyrics

Me: Eh? nAn enna sonnEn. nee enna solRa? indha
pAttula dhAn lip-sync illaiyE adhanAla dhAnE pAttu failed to translate the spirit of the song despite not having the constraint

Gen: indha pAttukku lip-sync thEvai illai because of long shots and rain shots :rotfl:

Me: allOv indha Pattukku lip-sync thevainu nAn eppO sonnEn. edhukku idhukku lip-sync thevai illainu ennai pArthu solrApla? nAna sonnadhaiyE thiruppi sollittu ennai contradict paNdra mAdhiri oru thenAvattu vERa :huh:

Gen: dubbing pandrache pAttu sidhaiyaradhu jagajam

Me: adhu dhAn nAn modhallEyE sonnEnE. idhu andha normal dubbing case illainu sollittu dhAne arambichEn. ennayyA purinjukkaringa?

Gen: (Drops all previous defences) enakku telugu culture theriyAdhu. VM-kum theriyAdhu. adhAn borderla ooduruval nadandhirichu
Me: idhai thAnE nAn modhallEyE sonnEn. appO ennatha nInga modhallErundhu contradict paNNApla?:huh: :banghead:

Idhukku pEru discussionA?

app_engine
9th September 2011, 06:44 PM
Plum,
On a dipperent song, i.e. mounamAna nEram (hardly any lip sync, "idhazhil mounangaL"), how do the lines compare?

Plum
9th September 2011, 07:34 PM
mounamaana neram is not bad at all on lyrics but not on lyrical flourish (i.e.) sonorous words fitting the tune but that is the power of Telugu so VM not at fault :)

Bala (Karthik)
9th September 2011, 08:32 PM
Gen: (Drops all previous defences) enakku telugu culture theriyAdhu. VM-kum theriyAdhu. adhAn borderla ooduruval nadandhirichu
Me: idhai thAnE nAn modhallEyE sonnEn. appO ennatha nInga modhallErundhu contradict paNNApla? :huh: :banghead:

Idhukku pEru discussionA?
:rotfl2: And WTF was that about the Chiranjeevi movie? Is he a brother/alter ego of someone who has been terrorizing the hub?

P.S: Fie on the new hub :hammer: :shame on you:
I can't freakin quote a message (the message from Plum. Getting an error message totally unrelated)
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FREAKIN FIX IT

V_S
9th September 2011, 09:57 PM
Plum,
I understand your concern. Apologies if my post hurt you.

As you were saying on 'Thakita Thathimi' song "there was no dubbing constraint on VM. He failed to use this advantage to reflect the spirit of the original". I agree that he should have written lyrics considering the character and situation and also considering it is a new movie. And not based on Veturi's challenge or based on whether it is a dubbed movie. Purely it should be based on the spirit. Completely agree there. You have explained very much in detail.

But on Mounamaana neram, you were saying "that is the power of Telugu so VM not at fault". Here you have no complaints on VM. So it seems VM has understood this situation perfectly and also considers this as a new move rather than a dubbed one, but just that telugu language is superior in expressing this situation better compared in Tamizh? So just wanted to know how the telugu lyrics compares to thamizh lyrics, if you can post in telugu lyrics thread. Because I love the lyrics here.

So it seems for the first one you liked Veturi's lyrics (irrespective of the language), but for the second one you liked the telugu lyrics (irrespective of the lyricist) :wink:

aaaa...aaaa...
mounamaana naeram
mounamaana naeram
iLa manadhil enna baaram
idhu mounamaana naeram
iLa manadhil enna baaram
manadhil OsaigaL idhazhil mounangaL (I love these lines)
manadhil OsaigaLidhazhil mounangaL
aen endru kaeLungaL(mounamaana)

iLamaich chumaiyai manam thaangikkoLLumO
kuzhambum alaiyai kadal moodikkoLLumO
kuLikkum Or kiLi, kodhikkum neer thuLi (oh man! brilliant)
kuLikkum Or kiLi, kodhikkum neer thuLi
oodhalaana maargazhi
neeLamaana raaththiri
nee vandhu aathari (mounamaana)

ivaLin manadhil innum iravin meedhamO (beautiful!)
kodiyil malargaL kuLir kaayum naeramO (enna karpanai!)
paadhai thaediyae, paadham pOgumO
paadhai thaediyae, paadham pOgumO
kaadhalenna naesamO
kanavu kaNdu koosumO
thanimaiyOdu paesumO(mounamaana)

app_engine
9th September 2011, 10:17 PM
So just wanted to know how the telugu lyrics compares to thamizh lyrics, if you can post in telugu lyrics thread. Because I love the lyrics here.

+1, simbly love the 'மனதில் ஓசைகள், இதழில் மௌனங்கள்' line, vaira vari :-)

genesis
9th September 2011, 10:33 PM
#140 மௌனமான நேரம், இளமனதில் என்ன பாரம்?
(சலங்கை ஒலி, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3199'&lang=en)

As mentioned before, he is now my co-bro (bachelor at the time when we both slAgiththufied music in his mottamAdi on a warm evening, enjoying the breeze along with PM & IR...didn't know it was PM then, also he wasn't a rAsA fanatic like me but enjoyed all kinds of music). Attending his wedding 2 years later resulted in me finding my mate, proving this theory : "marriages are made in wedding ceremonies" :lol2:

1984 as I very clearly remember this to be a 1983 movie. Someone please clear this confusion...

Romantic story back ground for a romantic song. உங்க காதல் கதையை மட்டும் தெளிவா விட்டுடீங்க!!

The awards for the movies certified in 1983 were given in 1984. Confusion cleared?!

crvenky
9th September 2011, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=app_engine;736556]#139 வேதம் அணுவிலும் ஒரு நாதம்
(சலங்கை ஒலி, 1983 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3205'&lang=en)

My favourite piece in this song is the brilliant postlude which comes only in the movie. There is a small piece in mridangam followed by chorus when Kamal's body is taken out of the hall in the wheel chair. The music as such is logical end to the song.

There is a sudden downpour and Sarathbabu holds an umbrella to Kamal's body! Beautifully shot sequence. Even the End title card was tastefully done. It shows END first and then NO on the top of it and FOR THE ART beneath it!!

app_engine
9th September 2011, 11:10 PM
உங்க காதல் கதையை மட்டும் தெளிவா விட்டுடீங்க!!

Already told in the hub sArE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8487-Does-Love-Exist&p=515428&viewfull=1#post515428) :-)

Why repeat?

V_S
9th September 2011, 11:13 PM
Exactly crvenky! Beautiful shot and ending. Very well explained. Hearing how the song started with high adrenalin rush and how it ends on a sanskrti sloka in a very sober way. Top notch stuff! Yes brilliantly done song overall. End credit 'No End for the Art" too brilliant. :notworthy: :clap:

app_engine
9th September 2011, 11:18 PM
Tried to post url's for posts on all 140 songs - not possible - as there is a max limit of 10000 characters / per post.

So, I'll have to use the same 1001 iravukaL style posting (of only 1983 links now and pushing to trace back to 1982, 1981, 1980 & 70's on a "kadhaikkuL kadhai" format as before).

app_engine
10th September 2011, 12:06 AM
All 70's & years 1980, 1981, 1982 here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=720070&viewfull=1#post720070)

Those of 1983:

#103 thAmaraikkodi tharaiyil vandhadheppadi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=720108&viewfull=1#post720108)
#104 O veNNilAvE vA Odi vA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=720703&viewfull=1#post720703)
#105 oomai nenjin OsaikaL kAdhil kELAdhO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=720707&viewfull=1#post720707)
#106 andharangam yAvumE solvathenRAl pAvamE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=721231&viewfull=1#post721231)
#107 dEvadhai iLam dEvi unnaichchuRRum Avi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=721456&viewfull=1#post721456)
#108 kAviriyE kavikkuyilE kaNmaNiyE vA vA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=721723&viewfull=1#post721723)
#109 pEsakkoodAthu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=722198&viewfull=1#post722198)
#110 urukinEn urukinEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=722801&viewfull=1#post722801)
#111 isai mEdaiyil (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=723427&viewfull=1#post723427)
#112 thAzhampoovE kaNNuRangu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=724026&viewfull=1#post724026)
#113 sirichchA kollimalaikkuyilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=724807&viewfull=1#post724807)
#114 geetham sangeetham (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=725083&viewfull=1#post725083)
#115 poththi vachcha malliga mottu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=725938&viewfull=1#post725938)
#116 andhi varum nEram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=726091&viewfull=1#post726091)
#117 chinnanjiRu kiLiyE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=726092&viewfull=1#post726092)
#118 thalaiyaikkuniyum thAmaraiyE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=726533&viewfull=1#post726533)
#119 Adi mAsakkAththadikka (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=726893&viewfull=1#post726893)
#120 vizhigaL meenO mozhikaL thEnO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=727217&viewfull=1#post727217)
#121 thenRalO theeyO theeNdiyathu nAnO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=727524&viewfull=1#post727524)
#122 onnum theriyAtha pAppA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=727692&viewfull=1#post727692)
#123 vA vA pakkam vA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=728345&viewfull=1#post728345)
#124 rAthiriyil poothirukkum thAmarai thAn peNNO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=728822&viewfull=1#post728822)
#125 adukku malligai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=729330&viewfull=1#post729330)
#126 poomAlai oru pAvai AnadhO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=729991&viewfull=1#post729991)
#127 nAnAka nAnillai thAyE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=730696&viewfull=1#post730696)
#128 vAnam keezhE vandhAl enna (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=730952&viewfull=1#post730952)
#129 summA nikkAdheenga (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=732242&viewfull=1#post732242)
#130 varudhu varudhu vilaku vilaku (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=732257&viewfull=1#post732257)
#131 thoongAthE thambi thoongAthE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=732834&viewfull=1#post732834)
#132 sOlaippoovil mAlaiththenRal Adum nEram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=733277&viewfull=1#post733277)
#133 O mAnE mAnE mAnE unnaiththAnE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=733634&viewfull=1#post733634)
#134 ennammA kObam Enindha vEgam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=734132&viewfull=1#post734132)
#135 mArgazhippArvai pArkkavA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=736010&viewfull=1#post736010)
#136 vAn pOlE vaNNam koNdu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=736066&viewfull=1#post736066)
#137 nAdha vinOdhangaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=736075&viewfull=1#post736075)
#138 thakida thathimi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=736545&viewfull=1#post736545)
#139 vEdham aNuvilum oru nAdham (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=736556&viewfull=1#post736556)
#140 mounamAna nEram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=737264&viewfull=1#post737264)

app_engine
10th September 2011, 12:54 AM
#141 நீயா அழைத்தது என் நெஞ்சில் மின்னல் அடித்தது
(அலை ஓசை, 1984 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0149'&lang=en)

I know this sweet song, heard it many times on buses / cassettes but never cared to look at the movie title. IIRC, this is the first Vijayakanth song we feature in this SPB-IR chronological compilation in this thread! (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I plan to send a PM to HR to authenticate if this is the first year when a VK+IR film had a SPB number...may not be the first film as in the same year there could have been other VK movies).

Another interesting thing is the director. Web sources say it was Sirumukai Ravi (yes, the same one who did rAgangaL mARuvathillai, how he managed to get another movie after that dud is a mystery)!

There is a mild mid-eastern feel to this song, though not explicit. That way, some northie feel also.

ok, after the powerful end to 1983 with sAgara(sangama)m, a mild continuation to 1984 with alai Osai, once again the sAgar connection :-)

Avadi to America
10th September 2011, 08:25 AM
Plum/Genesis - good discussion. It is very difficult to capture the nuances of one language in another language. Even Tagore regretted Geetanjali translation. I do not like TIS translation that much, even though I think it is a good attempt. In movies, pazhassi rAja, lyrics or kaalapani lyrics sound much better in malayalam. That is why I try to learn other languages (not very successfully). I envy you guys enjoying 'sundara telungu' lyrics.
Re: college/food stories - no objection..only acceptance/appreciation from me. That egg recipe was called 'podi mass' in college of engg. guindy (CEG). I just lived on that+ rasam and curd/sugar for lunch. Hated the sambar there. breakfast was 'bread omellete' - just egg/bread/salt/pepper. good/better than the paste of a pongal. Saw 'nayagan' both tamil and hindi versions being shot in CEG, apart from many other movies.
I liked the description of 'sukhAnubhavam' for that song - what would that word be in chaste tamil (?).

Yarrupa mess itethallam pesi pazhasa nabaga paduthurathu.. appadiey seventh illana sixth block pathi pesittu ponga...

Sureshs65
10th September 2011, 09:39 AM
Already told in the hub sArE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8487-Does-Love-Exist&p=515428&viewfull=1#post515428) :-)

Why repeat?
Aaaha. So many useful and interesting discussions happening on hub and I missing most of it :(

App: Nice to hear your story.

Sureshs65
10th September 2011, 10:03 AM
Lovely posts going on and unfortunately unable to write bigger comments. Anyway, let me try and support app on the 'mounamaana neram' song.

Here is a contestant singing the original Telugu song, "mounam elanoyi". Forget about her singing. Check the comments that K Vishwanath and SPB give after she finishes the song. To those who don't understand Telugu, here is the gist:

Director K. VIshwanath (he is the chief guest): I asked Illayaraja that I needed a song, similar to old Geeta Dutt songs, giving us the feeling of evening breeze. Let's do a soft song like that. Based on my request he gave me this song.The words have merged so well that you cannot make out that words were written for the tune. And that orchestration. In lot of songs, orchestration and the tune do not merge together. The orchestration will be doing something tangential to the tune. In this song, the tune has merged beautifully with the words and the orchestration merges with the tune as if they are Parvathi and Siva.

SPB: (After the initial humming, turns to K Vishwanath and says) I am sure his inspiration for the song came from this humming of Geeta Dutt, since you had mentioned Geeta Dutt to him. I think this is from the movie 'Bandini'. Raja was a great fan of Dada Burman. (Turns to KV again) You know how much he respected Burman. He even has his photo in his recording room. (Sings part of the songs and stops at 'letha gaali' and exclaims) Who is this fellow? Isn't it like 'letha gaali' here (tender breeze). The second note gives that effect. This song has so many nuances. (To the contestant) You tried to get that laugh there but it did not register. (Sings again) The voice sounds like an Hawaiian guitar here. (Sing again) No one will compose such a 'sangathi' here except Illayaraja. If they ask me to improvise I would done like this (sings) but not like what Illayaraja did. No one can think of it except Illayaraja, because that is how it is. It is just that he is a bit more closer to Saraswathi than others. (Sings again and at 'ta tha ra raa points out) Initially there was no voice here just music but hearing the way she sang either Raja or KV told her to join in. (Asks the orchestra to play the flute bit again.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l84GcpKBEE

Truly inspiring stuff.

Sureshs65
10th September 2011, 11:08 AM
One more clip of the same 'mouna melanoyi' song and again SPB comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88PQx3ljuE

The kid sings quite well and went on to win the competition.

SPB's comments: If anyone other than Illayaraja in the whole of India can compose such a song, I will quit singing. (Luckily for us, there is none and hence Balu is still singing :) ). We (me and Janaki) had a tough time making this our own. We had to sing each and every sangathi designed by Raja. We did not add anything at all to the song. Every single bit is that of Illayaraja.

kiru
10th September 2011, 04:16 PM
Plum..dont mean to frustrate you. I should have added 'religio-cultural' aspects also are difficult to translate. For eg. how would you translate - sivanEnu irundhEn .. ippadi *********** .we do get your point - Vairamuthu patently made it secular. Well, as an artist we should give him some freedom. Inspite of all criticisms about him here, he is a damn good poet (see foll. example by V_S) so some of us might tend to ignore such transgressions which you might find non-trivial.

@app - now that youth has slipped thru my fingers like fine sand.. I am probably clutching on to these memories to feel younger :-) All those teen years marveling Vairamuthu's lyrics glorifying the beauty of a woman or nature has given way to IR's kaaranam inRi kanneer varum really bringing the tears out !!!
@a-to-a - :-) - not sure how many people here would have 'seat pidichchufied in the mess way before 7pm when the serving actually starts' !!! app any stories related to mess ?. you would say it better.

Plum
10th September 2011, 07:06 PM
Kiru, I don't mean to be an arrogant prick. Atleast, I don't MEAN to.
But the point is that I did objectively say that vm failed to capture nuances. Both you and gen agree on the point. The bit about me saying that vm is inferior because of ths is strictly in your imagination only

app_engine
11th September 2011, 08:45 AM
Great links, Sureshji! mikka nanRi!

SPB, arumaiyAna rasikanayyA neer! vAzhga!

app_engine
11th September 2011, 09:03 AM
kiru,
Since there are lot more songs to post in this thread, I'll make sure most interesting experiences related to mess get captured :-)

Yes, that'll include the rush to D mess before 7 PM on occasions :-)

app_engine
11th September 2011, 10:54 AM
#142 அழகான பூக்கள்
(அன்பே ஓடி வா, 1984 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0198'&lang=en)

AhA! What a sweetie!

Perhaps one of the songs that I had enjoyed max number of times on headphone during hostel days! Ofcourse, on each occasion, listened to the SJ version as well. Interestingly, I've not ceased to enjoying the SJ version ('kanavOdu Engum iLam poongodi' where it almost sounds like a ghazal when she sings the pallavi in the end). Even now - it's a regular on car often unlike the SPB number which is not on any of my special-cut CDs.

A guitar special, with some novice-like stereo tricks - perhaps IR gave a free hand to the sound guys till the first half of eightees. It was possibly from the 'enga ooru pAttukkAran' times that the mixing / disti of instruments to left & right were of some standard ('sheNbagamE' is great).

Until then, it wasn't handled professionally IMO (including the celebrated priyA and pattAkkAththi bhairavan - even the likes of payaNangaL mudivathillai). anbE Odi vA is another example where the disti between left-right is laugh-worthy by today's standards but I thoroughly enjoyed the gimmicks during student days. (Interestingly, I was also listening to the likes of beat it , thriller & billie jean a lot during the same time period on headphones. Strange that I liked both sets of music on walkman despite the 'ENi vachchAlum ettAtha' recording standards).

Ofcourse the TDK sponsor was our Thanjavur thalaivar! He continued his dedicated rAsA service to the Emerald hostelers each week. IR's albums during 84 were like flood - practically one each week and we had laddu supply from thanjai almost weekly! My movie viewing had come down a little bit (after whole-year-topper-of-almost-250 in sem 2, I was close to class bottom within the 40-strong ECE in sem 3... so working on some damage control from sem 4, got great dividends topping the class in sem 6 & 7). Still, it was only a "little-bit" as none during the Saturday shows on audi got skipped. Neither did the cycling to bhelec or thuvAk-city tooring talkies reduce.

However, there were fewer trips to rockfort-citty theaters and don't remember watching anbE Odi vA...

Plum
11th September 2011, 01:08 PM
I've also settled on the SJ version but I prefer the imperfections of recording as you call them of the 80s to the clarity of Ramarajan days. I can't see a problem with pattakththi bhairavan etc. Thank God for my music tech ignorance.

The SPB bersion lacks something - wholesomeness, perhaps, that the Janaki version offers

balaji
11th September 2011, 05:29 PM
App_engine

IMHO SPB took a little more liberty while singing this song and thus losing the IR touch (May be IR was not in the Studio when the recording happened). SJ if you notice would have sung in a controlled manner.

People always blame IR for not giving too much a free hand to the singers while singing. Not that I am a musical expert, but I am on IR's side. Songs singing with controlled alaaps always sound better..

None the less, a good song and SPB always shines (except for the too much Kuzhaivus..)

Bala

Avadi to America
11th September 2011, 07:31 PM
@a-to-a - :-) - not sure how many people here would have 'seat pidichchufied in the mess way before 7pm when the serving actually starts' !!! app any stories related to mess ?. you would say it better.
APP, neenga padichathu enga... CEG laya...

app_engine
11th September 2011, 08:49 PM
APP, neenga padichathu enga... CEG laya...

illeeng, REC (now called NIT)

Plum
11th September 2011, 09:25 PM
Ennabba inge old boys network Akramippu?

groucho070
12th September 2011, 06:52 AM
It is very simple. You prefer Telugu lyrics over Tamil based on your understanding of Kamal's character. Since I am not exposed to Telugu Brahmin culture, I am missing the whole point. It is probably same with VM also. End of story.Actually, after Plum's criticism I feel I won't feel the same when revisiting the movie. It's like, "What the hell, there's something about the movie that many (esp. those who understood Telugu and the culture) knows about that I will never know. Okay, let's skip this and watch nAnum oru tozhilAli :sad:".

app_engine
12th September 2011, 08:11 PM
thiruththEril varum silaiyO & ennOdu pAdungaL (I'm trying to show thread-relevance)

RetroReview: Nan Vaazha Vaippen (yuvar attention Plum) (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2011/09/retroreview-naan-vazhavaipen.html)

:rotfl:
:rotfl3:
:rotfl2:

Divine22
12th September 2011, 08:43 PM
What a tremendous year 1983 has been...Simply rocking!!! And what a beautiful closure, Maunamaana Neram....Love the picturization..I think KH & Jayaprada 2 most attractive actors of their time...Oozing the song with their impeccable acting & expressions...wowwee...

Very interesting write ups abt yr college days..College days always bring so much fond memories. :D Lovely !!
Cruising away in to 1984...

app_engine
12th September 2011, 08:52 PM
#143 ஜோடி நதிகள்
(அன்பே ஓடி வா, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0200'&lang=en)

Many of my hostelmates liked this song more than others from this movie and I couldn't understand why. To me, kanavOdu Engum was the top winner (along with its male sibling). In my books, this was an "average" song with an acceptable melody, ok orchestration and some SPB enhancements. However, most others found this fabulous, confusing me.

In any case, this was on radio frequently and on the TDKs of recording-center fans. Some of those recording center fans happened to be drivers and conductors of private buses of TN who were the primary promoters of music at one point of time. (Actually, the whole of 80's, they were as big contributors as tea shops / functions in making music available to public).

As there was public acceptance, the song gets featured here :-)

app_engine
12th September 2011, 08:57 PM
Actually, the KJY number 'idhazhil amudham' was also very popular with me (at par with kanavOdu Engum).

I'll have to skip the other SPB number 'thuLLum iLamai idhu' which didn't find as much acceptance as the other numbers from this movie. My hostelmates didn't care, not much public response as well. I liked the song, however, and listened to it on headphone quite a lot :-)

app_engine
12th September 2011, 08:58 PM
nanRi, Divine22!

I'll try to judiciously allocate space for hotel purANam...

genesis
12th September 2011, 09:07 PM
Actually, after Plum's criticism I feel I won't feel the same when revisiting the movie. It's like, "What the hell, there's something about the movie that many (esp. those who understood Telugu and the culture) knows about that I will never know. Okay, let's skip this and watch nAnum oru tozhilAli :sad:".

நீங்க தமிழ்ல Comedy Central சேனலே ஆரம்பிக்கலாம் - அந்த அளவுக்கு திறமை பொங்கி வழியுது.

Plum
12th September 2011, 10:43 PM
Who can make a laugh-a-sentence masterpiece on naan vaazha vaippen even after ignoring the chief object of ridicule for lesser humorists, in the movie _ namely silai varum thiruther aka KR Vijaya?
Ans: the inimitable grouch can.