PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

PARAMASHIVAN
21st July 2011, 03:08 PM
App anna

All your posting makes me see "Thanikaattu Raja" again (last time I saw this was ,almost 10 years ago). Is this the one with Chiranjeevi in a "guest" role ?? ( I am not talking about Mappilai) :roll:

groucho070
21st July 2011, 03:14 PM
No, that would be Ranuva Veeran. MSV music.

PARAMASHIVAN
21st July 2011, 03:30 PM
No, that would be Ranuva Veeran. MSV music.

Oh I thought so, BTW Thanikaatu Raja had Rajni in a double role right? or was it Kupathu raja :roll:

app_engine
21st July 2011, 04:08 PM
Double role could be 'pOkkiri rAjA' (one as pOkkiri with Radhika and another as rAjA with Sridevi), again MSV music.

This had one Rajini, one Sripriya, one Jaishankar & one Sridevi as Jaishankar's wife...

PARAMASHIVAN
21st July 2011, 04:30 PM
Double role could be 'pOkkiri rAjA' (one as pOkkiri with Radhika and another as rAjA with Sridevi), again MSV music.

This had one Rajini, one Sripriya, one Jaishankar & one Sridevi as Jaishankar's wife...

Oh too many "Raja" , hence the confusion :oops:

app_engine
21st July 2011, 11:25 PM
#91 நான் தான் டாப்பு
(தனிகாட்டு ராஜா, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hum-RFf3k7g)

Comical attempt with usage of terms related to older Rajinikanth movies (murattukkALai, thillu-mullu, parattai etc). As mentioned in the 'pookkaL sindhungaL' post, recycle of the tune. Singers singing in 'pOgira pOkkil pAdeettu pOkalAm' mode. rAsA doing template style orchestration to fill the disk space...

Still the song featured big stars and had airtime / kOlAmbi time etc and one couldn't escape being subjected to this song those days from some source or other.

So, it has to get a mention in this listing. Otherwise, I'm not so thrilled to write about this :-)
(thiraippAdal link is wrong, as mentioned before, it goes to nAn thAndA ippO dEvadAss and no link for that song, so the above link should lead to youtube)

app_engine
21st July 2011, 11:29 PM
Whatever contept one has for nAn thAn tAppu kind of numbers, it's amazing to see this kind of variety in this album :

santhanakkARRE - one of the best ever love duets
rAsAvE onna nAn - what a mysterious longing number, no SPB here
koovungaL sEvalkaLe - muzhakkam
nAn thAndA ippO dEVAdAs - drunk
nAn thAn tAppu - chummA
mullai arumbE - sweet duet :-), no SPB here

genesis
22nd July 2011, 12:09 AM
Oh too many "Raja" , hence the confusion :oops:

அப்போ பழசிராஜா-வில் யாரு? அதுவும் ராஜா தானே?

Plum
22nd July 2011, 10:52 AM
adhula rajini illayE

Kupathu Raja
Pokkiri Raja
Thanikattu Raja
All came within a short period - all 3 were rajini movies hence the natural confusion esp bet KR and PR because both had MSV (I think)

Later Rajini added Rajadhi Raja to his resume

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd July 2011, 03:13 PM
All came within a short period - all 3 were rajini movies hence the natural confusion
Yes, that is the reason

esp bet KR and PR because both had MSV (I think)

Yes it was MSV

app_engine
23rd July 2011, 03:49 AM
#92 பூவில் வண்டு கூடும்
(காதல் ஓவியம், 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1343'&lang=en)

We've now arrived at a historic IR album. Since this has a number of SPB songs, we can relish them for a number of days. One at a time. And none left out as each one is a rare gem!

I recalled when kAdhal Oviyam happened - in 2nd sem of my college days. (Edited the post as I remembered that 1st year got completed only in 1982 Dec). Also, I very clearly remember the cover picture of the echo record of this movie. mottai IR giving guitar lesson to BR :lol: The echo phenomenon started around the payaNangal mudivathillai time frame and by this time it was a single window for all new releases of IR. Unlike earlier, now there was no issues for IR to have LP records and deliver all songs in one disk.

BR was just recovering from tik-tik-tik which followed a highly successful alaigaL Oyvathillai. Radha was paired with a newcomer Kannan who had to do the role of a blind person in his debut movie - poor guy, he didn't get much opportunities after that. There was this legend that sankarAbharaNam was first planned with BR and later K Viswanath was commissioned for the project. (My cousin always used to joke that had it been BR, the focus would have been the love story of Rajalakshmi and Somayajulu story possibly placed in the backburner :lol:)

In any case, lot of IR-lovers wanted IR to do some project of that nature, win NA and accolades etc showered upon him-knowing that he was completely equipped for that. So, when this movie was projected to be based on a classical singer with SPB in the game, the expectations went up. Though there was this apprehension that Radha could never do a Manju Bhargavi in dance, the boys opined - well, she is beautiful and any kai-kAl-asaivu could be tolerated as decent dance :lol: (Well, the end result was as expected - more of running around with kai-kAl-asaivu than dance).

BR did a total sodhappal and so was the hapless hero and the movie became a terrible flop. IR talks about it in varalARRu suvadukaL with some sense of humor:

பாரதிராஜா அவரது "காதல் ஓவியம்" படத்தின் மீது ரொம்ப நம்பிக்கை வைத்திருந்தார்.

நான் மூகாம்பிகையின் தீவிர பக்தன் என்பதால், "படத்தின் நாயகன் அம்பாளின் பக்தன் என்று சொன்னால், இளையராஜா நல்ல ட்யூன்களை எலலாம் போட்டுத்தருவார்" என்று பாரதியிடம் உதவியாளர்களாக இருந்த மணிவண்ணனும், கலைமணியும் சொல்லியிருப்பார்கள் போலும்.

நான் அப்படத்துக்கு இசை அமைத்தேன். ஒரு நாள் மாலை நேரத்தில் ஆரம்பித்த பாடல் `கம்போசிங்’ அன்றே முடிந்துவிட்டது. படத்துக்கான எட்டுப்பாடல்களும் தயாராகிவிட்டன.

படம், பின்னணி இசைசேர்ப்புக்காக வந்தபோது, அந்த படத்தின் மீது எனக்கு நம்பிக்கை வரவில்லை. பாரதியிடம், "படம் ரிலீஸ் ஆவதற்குள் நாம் இருவரும் குருவாயூர் போய்வரலாம்" என்றேன். "சரி" என்றார். வேலை சரியாக இருந்ததால், நகரமுடியவில்லை.

திடீரென்று ஒருநாள் கலைமணியை பாரதி கூப்பிட்டு, "ஏய்யா! படத்திலே ஏதோ ஒண்ணு குறையுதே. உனக்குத்தெரியாதா? தெரிந்தா சொல்லு!" என்றார்.

"அது ஒன்றும் இல்லே சார். கதைதான் குறையுது!" என்று கலைமணி கூற, எல்லோரும் விழுந்து விழுந்து சிரித்தோம். கலைமணியை பாரதி அடிக்கப்போக, அவர் தப்பி ஓடிவிட்டார்.

படம் ரிலீஸ் ஆகியது. ஒரு வாரத்தில், படப்பெட்டிகள் எல்லாம் திரும்பி வந்துவிட்டன.

பாரதி என்னிடம் வந்து, "வா, குருவாயூர் போய் வரலாம்" என்றார். "படம் ரிலீஸ் ஆவதற்கு முன்பல்லவா போயிருக்கவேண்டும். இப்போது வேண்டாமே!" என்று கூறிவிட்டேன்.

“காதல் ஓவியம்” படம் சரியாகப் போகாததால், பாரதி மனம் சங்கடப்பட்டார். ரசிகர்கள் மீது கோபப்பட்டார்.

“பாரதி! ரசிகர்களை குறை கூறவேண்டாம். அவர்கள் எப்போதும் சரியாகவே இருப்பார்கள்” என்றேன்.

“உனக்குத் தெரியாது. இவர்களுக்கு எது வேணும் என்று எனக்குத் தெரியாதா? இவர்களுக்காக ஒரு மூன்று படி கீழே இறங்கி வந்து ஒரு படம் எடுத்துக் காட்டுகிறேன் பார்!” என்றார்.

அதற்கு நான், “யோசித்துப் பாருங்கள். 16 வயதினிலே படம் நன்றாக ஓடிக்கொண்டிருந்த அதே நேரத்தில், அதற்கு இணையாக விட்டலாச்சாரியாவின் “ஜெகன்மோகினி” படம் ஓடியதல்லவா? அதற்காக, பாரதிராஜா, ஜெகன்மோகினி போல படம் எடுக்கவேண்டும் என்று அர்த்தம் இல்லை. உங்களிடம் மக்கள் எதிர்பார்ப்பது வேறு. அதைவிட்டு எங்கும் போகவேண்டாம்” என்றேன்.

ஆனால் பாரதி தன் கருத்தில் உறுதியாக இருந்தார்.

ரசிகர்களுக்காகவே கீழே இறங்கிவந்து அவர் எடுத்த "வாலிபமே வா வா." படம் ஓடவில்லை.

V_S
24th July 2011, 09:35 AM
Wonderful write-up with lot of insights App! :clap: SPB at his best. Remember watching the film after our friends told me that the movie was horrible, just for Ilaiyaraaja and songs you can watch. Really loved all the anecdotes of IR especially about Guruvayoor trip and about BR's next venture 'Vaalibame Vaa Vaa' :lol:

app_engine
24th July 2011, 05:54 PM
poovil vaNdu youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZYYOvy8mWI

pAvam Radha :lol2:

app_engine
24th July 2011, 06:15 PM
#93 வெள்ளிச் சலங்கைகள் கொண்ட கலைமகள்
(காதல் ஓவியம், 1982 , குழுவினருடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1345'&lang=en)

What a sweet dance number with correct proportion of all the classical instruments and SPB! How one man's mind could combine all such ideas and come out with compositions like so many of these in one evening is simply a proof that miracles do happen :-) OK, now if one doesn't buy the claim that all these happened so quickly in an evening, even to compose the songs of K-O in a whole lifetime is a miracle, IMHO!

As I corrected in my last post, this happened during 2nd sem of college days when we moved out of the "1st year hostel Agate" to Coral, now only 3 in a room compared to the 4 prior. Same MSV-argument-party as one and another neutral guy (who is now a faculty in an IIT) made life a lot more colorful. Unlike the 1st sem when there was this continuous fear of ragging, suddenly a lot of freedom. Also, moving to the upper floor (1st in Indian terms, 2nd in American terms) made this wonderful "parapet wall" available in the corridor to sit and chat for hours! Sometimes most boys of the whole wing will be on the corridor and when the discussions were about movies / music, it was simply a riot - there was this Sivaji fan who'll dance (actually act) like MGR, singing MGR songs :lol:

Fortunately for us, there were no HC KH or HC RK fans (there were some MGR-Sivaji fans but they mostly were defensive only), the discussion often steered towards songs / music (i.e. when actresses weren't the focus :wink:)!

K-O was one of the much discussed topics, thanks to our HCIRF from Thanjavur who'll bring his "recorded cassettes" each week after his weekend trip home and was very soon influencing the music listening tastes of many wingmates! No wonder IR was getting hero-like-proportions in attention by boys. (BTW, till the prior batch, it was a boys-only-residential-institution with first girl student getting admitted in our batch...still, the total # of girls in our year was single digit only and were either day scholars or staying in staff quarters...in our junior batches, they became a huge % and majority dayscholars & also got a separate hostel for them).

Well, veLLichchalangaikaL was / is always a SPB special where the singer got more attention than the composer among the admirers!

app_engine
24th July 2011, 06:20 PM
veLLichchalangaikaL youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrKrCoWtSA&feature=related

another 'aiyyO pAvam Radha' :lol:

V_S
24th July 2011, 09:14 PM
Another wonderful write-up!

How one man's mind could combine all such ideas and come out with compositions like so many of these in one evening is simply a proof that miracles do happen :-) OK, now if one doesn't buy the claim that all these happened so quickly in an evening, even to compose the songs of K-O in a whole lifetime is a miracle, IMHO!
:thumbsup:

Very nice to read your nostalgic college chats. Yes those corridor and parapet wall chats for hours together are always memorable!

rajkumarc
24th July 2011, 09:18 PM
Wonderful writeup App for the two KO songs. Thanks for sharing the info from Varalaatru Suvadugal, a really interesting read. IR has a great sense of humor.

baroque
25th July 2011, 05:38 AM
RAGAM CHANDRAKAUNS.

that's the deiveega smile, you wanna enjoy..:swinghead: while treat your soul with the divine music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoPa97XpIo

oh ..yeah , பாலா, உங்களுக்கு மட்டும்தான் dramatic ஆ டெலிவர் பண்ண தெரியுமா?
எங்க ஜானும்மா கேளுங்கோ ..She will put you , S .P .பாலா the greatest singer in trance :clap:

Raaja has given another female solo for Janu in AZHAGU MALARAADA....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbj8QjoU_6s

where are those பத்மா awards for our (இளையராஜா & பாலா)'s girl ?

Kandena Govindana......chandrakauns...Purandharadasar.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/list_albums/i/10-Classical_Carnatic_Vocal/7704-Chandrakauns/#/list_albums/i/10-Classical_Carnatic_Vocal/7704-Chandrakauns/

first track by BOMBAY JAYASHREE

Plum
25th July 2011, 02:16 PM
the discussion often steered towards songs / music (i.e. when actresses weren't the focus
idhai paththiyum nadu nadula sollungO! Who were the kanavu kannis progressively from your school times etc. indha threadla koochamA irundhA veRa threadla vechukkalAm ;-)

PARAMASHIVAN
25th July 2011, 04:00 PM
Wonderful write-up with lot of insights App! :clap: SPB at his best. Remember watching the film after our friends told me that the movie was horrible, just for Ilaiyaraaja and songs you can watch. Really loved all the anecdotes of IR especially about Guruvayoor trip and about BR's next venture 'Vaalibame Vaa Vaa' :lol:

VS , movie was not horrible! It was a good movie, any one who have fallen in love as in "தெய்வீக காதல் " would love this film along with Alaigal oivathillai.

PARAMASHIVAN
25th July 2011, 04:03 PM
veLLichchalangaikaL youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrKrCoWtSA&feature=related

another 'aiyyO pAvam Radha' :lol:

yEn intha Kolai veri :x , She was a good dancer :)

app_engine
25th July 2011, 09:57 PM
#94 அம்மா அழகே
(காதல் ஓவியம், 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1338'&lang=en)

Relatively short song, SPB solo, sung very emotionally. The supporting orchestration creates the "serious context" to the song -possibly depicting a scene showing trouble / difficulty of the lead character. I think it was around this time that IR had adopted this style of combining the bhaktippAdal-style sounds with regular light music songs for effect creation - sometimes in temple setting and on occasions even otherwise. This song could have been in temple setting as the blind singer was always seen around kOvil prakArams but vaigaraiyil vaigai karaiyil was in a recording theater setting, longing for a lover, with very similar orchestration as rAga dheepam ERRum nEram.

In sum total, when a movie character was in distress, IR started using this kind of orchestration (and possibly similar rAgams) to create a specific effect on the audience. There could have been similar attempts during the pre-IR era (especially by the light music kings) and IR got inspired from them or it was another trick he tried on his own...more like the former as I get reminded of the 'solladee abirAmee' song of TMS whenever I hear these numbers (rAga deepam, vaigaraiyil, ammA azhagE, sangeetha jAthi mullai)

PARAMASHIVAN
25th July 2011, 10:07 PM
அம்மா அழகே பாடல் எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த ஒன்று SPB sir மிகவும் அனுபவித்து பல இடங்களில் நம் மனதை கலங்கடிப்பார்

app_engine
25th July 2011, 10:38 PM
#95 குயிலே, குயிலே எந்தன் கீதங்கள் கேட்காதோ
(காதல் ஓவியம், 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1339'&lang=en)

Another emotionally charged number, this time SPB is supported by SJ to pizhinjify people's hearts. Add IR brand shenoy (which takes all kinds of avatars in his music, typically on folk themmAngus) and you have a song that can throw people into depression. The way in which this pair concludes the saraNam is simply goosepimple stuff!

Actually, the whole K-O album, if listened to continuously can throw people into real emotional low (regardless of whether that person is suffering from any kind of negatives in real life or not - luvvu or otherwise). For e.g., at the moment I don't have anything specific to feel this low that I'm thrown into after ammA azhagE and kuyilE kuyilE. Not any grave personal thing I'm going thru but still I feel depressed :-( Power of music!

Though this album has a couple of numbers that can be called "happy" (poovil vaNdu & nathiyil Adum poovanam) and two "neutral" (nAtham en jeevanE & veLLichchalangaikaL), one gets into gloom because even in those songs the singer's pathetic plight (blindness) comes to mind and one cannot really get into a happy mood. I think the fate of this film got decided the day BR thought of making a movie on the lead character without sight :-(

Sure, there are tons of brilliant real-life musicians who are blind but somehow those movies that have them as main char didn't seem to click in TN. (rAja pArvai, K-O, kAsi...such gloom doesn't seem to work well...BTW, thangappadhumai does not belong to this category; is there any big success story?)

San_K
25th July 2011, 10:50 PM
wov great app. Kadhal Oviyam is one of finest album ever created in world film history.

Somehow I link Kuyile Kuyile song to Bombay's Uyire Uyrie song. Don't know why

V_S
25th July 2011, 11:19 PM
Great write-ups App for such a power packed compositions and singing! This is again one soundtrack every aspiring singer wanted to sing and get somewhat close to what SPB has achieved. But SPB is too high to reach him. But just the feel we get when we sing these beautiful songs itself is enough to satisfy our apetite.

I think the fate of this film got decided the day BR thought of making a movie on the lead character without sight :-(
:lol: Again great timing! Super analysis on how all movies of this kind figured at box-office :thumbsup:

app_engine
26th July 2011, 12:40 AM
She was a good dancer :)

There's no question Radha was a good actress and a decent dancer as well. And, was quite beautiful!

However, classical dance was not her strong area IMO and neither BR was a connoisseur in that area. Accordingly the end-product makes one feel sorry for both Radha and BR. (BTW, I don't think BR was a connoisseur in the classical music domain too but he was fortunate to have IR / SPB at their peak).

BTW, Plum, you had a question about 'kanavukkanni' :lol: which warrants some details...

I don't remember having any fascination for actresses during school years (due to the brought-up / village circumstances / not watching movies from 7th to +2 etc...I've even thought at times that MGR movies should not have those heroines at all and all those asingams). If anything, even after growing up a bit, I found the "seen-every-day-in-3D" much prettier than those ammaNees on posters.

After entering the college, in a new environment - going to movies with friends etc, I found the likes of Sridevi to be pretty (moonRAm piRai effect at that time).

Which was what I told - to a ruffian senior who was ragging me one day. (After washing their clothes for one hour+, it was typical for those fellows to have some more entertainment...typically done collecting a few wingmates and all of them poking fun at the freshie, asking questions of maRRa nature including this standard "who is your fav actress" question).

What followed my answer was such a roaring laughter by that gang which then had more probing questions (not printable here) for about 30-60 minutes and a lot of brainwashing in extreme language, thoroughly smashing away any respect a 16 yr old could have had for matinee idols on that domain.

appuRam enga irundhu kanavukkanni business ellAm varum? pOyE pOyAch!

Still, over a period of years, some actresses whose presence made the movies - strictly movies - more likeable were : Savithri, Padmini, Sridevi, Radha, Revathy, Gautami & many others (actually it's a very broad band with me having no vanjakam) :lol:

genesis
26th July 2011, 04:23 AM
BR did a total sodhappal and so was the hapless hero and the movie became a terrible flop. IR talks about it in varalARRu suvadukaL with some sense of humor:

I have seen this movie in theater during the one week it was there. I was too young to understand the story line. But when I rediscovered this album in my later teen tears, I always thought it was a good movie did not work well with masses like Rajaparvai. Such nice songs with good lyrics... it is hard to imagine the movie was "sodhappal"... Well, IR does have many movies to his credit in this category: Ninaivellam Nithya comes to mind immediately. BR must have at least narrated the story well to IR and Lyricist... they did a fantastic job. IMO, this is the best album in all BR movies... Mudhal Mariyadhai comes very close though.

groucho070
26th July 2011, 07:13 AM
Kathal Oviyam album is a different movie altogether. Watched the movie, and it is instantly forgettable. It's like You forgot what you ate but the aroma tingling in your nostril and the smell on your finger is something else altogether. Listen to it, you and you see a different movie altogether. Listen to the entire album and you see your very own love story you concocted with accordance to your own sentiment. No Bharathiraja, No Radha, no Cyclops. It's make it up as you go, as you traverse through the aural ecstasy.

This is again, one of those movies where you want to file a police report against the filmmakers for total desecration on the work of art.

Thanks app. Wonderful writing as usual.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th July 2011, 03:31 PM
App anna

What you said about this "sad" , "depressed" feel for K.O songs are spot on! Such is the power of IR +SPB ! Like you said, even if you are in "jolly" mood, these songs can make you feel sad without any reasons! I am highly addicted to this "Depressed" mood created by these songs!

Devaraagam
26th July 2011, 03:53 PM
I watched kahdal Oviyam during my teen age that too because of the songs. during that period only I started to watch movies because of IR and still this movie is my favorite list not because of story, actor and BR.

Watch the movie once by closing your eyes. you will get into it completely as almost 80% of the movie goes with Music and songs.

Still I used to watch this movie fully whenever its being telecast. :)

KV
26th July 2011, 07:02 PM
App, I've been having a lot of catching up to do here. Super stuff! :clap:
K-O is a terrific album, an emotional rollercoaster, for sure. Grouch, lovely little piece of writing on this album, very nicely put.
Did this hero act in any other films after this?

PARAMASHIVAN
26th July 2011, 08:17 PM
Did this hero act in any other films after this?

AFAIK, No.

app_engine
26th July 2011, 08:23 PM
no Cyclops

:lol: Only groucho fossible.

Sureshs65
26th July 2011, 08:30 PM
wov great app. KO is one of finest album ever created in world film history.

Yov Sanjeevi. People will think you are talking about a different album when you say 'KO'. Aaris will be happy to hear this.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th July 2011, 08:41 PM
Yov Sanjeevi. .

Oh Avaraa ivaruuu :shock: I mean there was a hubber called "Sanjeevi" about 3/4 years ago?

PARAMASHIVAN
26th July 2011, 08:46 PM
Still, over a period of years, some actresses whose presence made the movies - strictly movies - more likeable were : Savithri, Padmini, Sridevi, Radha, Revathy, Gautami & many others (actually it's a very broad band with me having no vanjakam) :lol:

இந்த விஷயத்தில எல்லாருக்கும் தாராள மனசு :lol2: :lol2: add Simmi to the list :p

San_K
26th July 2011, 10:28 PM
Yov Sanjeevi. People will think you are talking about a different album when you say 'KO'. Aaris will be happy to hear this.

:rotfl:

corrected now

Oh Avaraa ivaruuu :shock: I mean there was a hubber called "Sanjeevi" about 3/4 years ago?

avvvvvv

PARAMASHIVAN
27th July 2011, 03:26 PM
App anna ,

Next song pls (Sangeetha Jathi mulai) even the thought of the song, gives me goosebumps ! Only IR + SPB possible to bring such emotions !

app_engine
27th July 2011, 03:53 PM
#96 நதியில் ஆடும் பூவனம்
(காதல் ஓவியம், 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1341'&lang=en)

With a slOgam by Deepan C in the prelude, SJ starts this sweet number and later joined by SPB to give a fantastic treat. Especially the swarAs that are thrown into the interludes are goosebump stuff. Despite the song sounding to be on strong classical base (and the singers having enough alukkal-kulukkals), IR lightens it to the extent possible with his orchestration / interludes and makes it palatable to average listeners who typically may not have the taste for pure classical music. This is one art where all the popular MDs of TFM have been masters (GR / KVM / MSV / IR).

One of the few happy moments / non-gloomy songs of K-O that had a lot of radio time / bus time those days. Infact, whenever I hear this song, I'm reminded of the Thanjavur bus trip from hostel to my friend's home (whom we're already familiar with as the HCIRF who brought those wonderful cassettes from home each week). This song got played in a bus that had really good sound system and it was mesmerising! So, I always associate this song with Thanjavur :-)

Another very interesting thing to me about this song is the percussion arrangements. Easily among the best of IR!

app_engine
27th July 2011, 04:01 PM
kuyilE kuyilE youtube, Radha at home here - no nAttiyam and plays it natural :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jUGrX1a2Vw

app_engine
27th July 2011, 04:03 PM
nathiyil Adum poovanam, BR in his homeground here :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W02st3WU-sE

app_engine
27th July 2011, 04:05 PM
App anna ,

Next song pls (Sangeetha Jathi mulai) even the thought of the song, gives me goosebumps ! Only IR + SPB possible to bring such emotions !

That's the last number remaining in K-O and I'll post it in a few hours :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
27th July 2011, 04:09 PM
That's the last number remaining in K-O and I'll post it in a few hours :-)

Great! .... :)

PARAMASHIVAN
27th July 2011, 04:14 PM
Nathiyil Aadum Poovanaum what a song! Simply awesome!
Only the "spoil" factor of this song is Manivannan and co :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W02st3WU-sE&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
28th July 2011, 01:53 AM
#97 சங்கீத ஜாதி முல்லை
(காதல் ஓவியம், 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1344'&lang=en)

Now we have this magnus opus number from K-O, a showcase for SPB's singing abilities / range / emotions etc. kuzhaivu, kazhivirakkam, AkrOsham, inimai, vidwatvam all packaged into one cine-song. From IR's part, another number in the "bhakthi + cinema" format that he was finding thrill at that point of time - rAga dheepangaL / vaigaRayil kind, but stronger dose compared to them with a lot of variations. Song also includes references to other songs (e.g. kuyilE-kuyilE) from the same album (possibly as a reminder to the never-seen lover who is not coming out in the open).

Once again, reminded of some TMS songs - esp. 'solladee abirAmee' - for reasons known only to those experts who study brain internals :-) I suspect Kamal / guNA got that 'abirAmee' connection from the powerful TMS song :wink:

My most fav part is 'vizhi illai enumbOthu' & the next line...very sweet! There's some not-so-favourite part too - the 'thagana-ragana' business that dilutes away all the emotions built-up until that point, IMHO :-( They could have used some other swarA / jathi stuff that would not have sounded so comical.

I was LOL-ing when James Vasanthan was shouting at a singer in a TV show for murdering this song, telling that 'we should ban sangeetha jAthi mullai from all such amateur singer shows'.

Well, if we ask a number of post-SPB-era's "regular" playback fellows to sing this song, it's highly possible to get a similar response from public in general :wink:

app_engine
28th July 2011, 01:57 AM
Now that I'm finished with K-O, the depressing album, I can switch to the anti-depressant for the next few days, N-N, one of my most fav IR albums ever, which too occured in the same, eventful 1982!

Divine22
28th July 2011, 06:48 AM
~Kathal Oviyam~ What an album !!! Such magnificent songs !!! each and every one of the songs are a real treat. Kektke2 tigattaaatha inippu. Although, the movie is kinda' absurd but the songs has been given in full justice. Although, atigapadiyanaa sogam has been running through out the movie, but the songs are the only consolation, such a booorrrinng movie i must say, the bgm's are stunning too. especially the temple scenes, and the scenes Ratha & hero meets each time. Lovely album!!!

I must agree Radha can move vaguely ,so called naattiyam, depressing to see her in such emotional songs , dancing off like a clown. I think the heroines introduced by BR had a much much better rapport & reception compared to a handful number of heros that were introduced by him. Such as Raja, this guy in Kathal Oviyam(don't know the name) , one more guy in Muthal Mariyathai (ranjini's pair) to name a few.
But, the heroines frm Ratha,Revathy to Ranjitha,Priyamani has made fame,name & $$$. And they proved to have good acting skills too.

App, as usual ,,, Great job sir, I wish some day I could write like you.What an imagination & choices of words! Bravo.. Looking forward for the not-so depressing album! :))

Plum
28th July 2011, 02:42 PM
MM guy = Deepan, a relative of VN Janaki

The crowning glory of Bharathiraja's introduction (heroes) must be that Kangalaal Kaidhu Sei chap. What a karvaad!

PARAMASHIVAN
28th July 2011, 03:11 PM
this guy in Kathal Oviyam(don't know the name) , one more guy in Muthal Mariyathai (ranjini's pair)

Kannan was his name

PARAMASHIVAN
28th July 2011, 03:13 PM
App anna

Do you not find "similarites" in Sangeetha jathi mulai and Naanum unthan uravai (mythili ennai kadhali) ?? esp towards the end, all the mirudungam, udukku ... etc ??

KV
28th July 2011, 03:48 PM
MM guy = Deepan, a relative of VN Janaki

The crowning glory of Bharathiraja's introduction (heroes) must be that Kangalaal Kaidhu Sei chap. What a karvaad!

:lol: whattey timing!

app_engine
28th July 2011, 04:54 PM
nanRi, Divine22, for your kind words!

However, the credits should go to IR/SPB and the seasoned TFM-DFers / hubbers whose language I'm simbly copy-pasting :-) Otherwise, who'll read the hostel corridor biz of some kuppan-suppan?

BTW, please sound a warning if the suyapurANams go beyond decent limits :-) That'll enable some adakki vAsiththal...

And, among the BR-intro-actresses, there are a couple of misses :
-Radhika who became famous in big screen, small screen, behind the screen etc
-Rati who even went to indhi

And among BR-intro-actors too, there are a few who stayed longer:
-Karthik (arguably the biggest "youth" star of 80's who was active in 90's too)
-"nizhalkaL" Ravi
-K Bagyaraj

In addition, though not intro'd by him, he can claim at least 0.1% credit in the up'pish-graph of mayilu, chappANi, parattai & kooththu...

PARAMASHIVAN
28th July 2011, 04:57 PM
Yes Karthik went on to become a big start, esp amongst the Ladies!

BTW, wasn't Pandiyan and Murali introduced by Murali ??

app_engine
28th July 2011, 04:59 PM
App anna

Do you not find "similarites" in Sangeetha jathi mulai and Naanum unthan uravai (mythili ennai kadhali) ?? esp towards the end, all the mirudungam, udukku ... etc ??

Possibly, but I've not paid very close attention to 'nAnum undhan uRavai' - not a big admirer of later day songs of TR, especially the pathos (he was awesome in OTR / UU though)

app_engine
28th July 2011, 05:07 PM
Yes Karthik went on to become a big start, esp amongst the Ladies!

BTW, wasn't Pandiyan and Murali introduced by Murali ??

Pandiyan -per kisu kisu - paid BR to give him a chance :wink: Yes, he was BR intro.

Murali - is the original name of Karthik. (The other Murali got introduced in poo vilangu . a movie produced by KB directed by Ameer John and had nothing to do with BR)

app_engine
28th July 2011, 05:12 PM
And the most important contribution by BR to TF was not in form of actor / actresses but by directors :-) A number of his juniors, grand-juniors, great-grand-juniors did considerably well.

BR should be given credit for being an Ala maram and not a puLiya maram.

Overall, a true trend setter (when in association with IR) :-)

app_engine
28th July 2011, 05:48 PM
Also, w.r.t. actors, BR's most significant contribution was the exact opposite of what we're discussing here :wink:

That is, making successful movies with actors of no significant stuff :lol:

There, he stands much taller than the likes of KB/MR :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
28th July 2011, 06:42 PM
There, he stands much taller than the likes of KB/MR :-)
True !

app_engine
28th July 2011, 06:57 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/270331_10150362151669478_613614477_10187782_368710 5_n.jpg

The above pic is from the link that joe posted in another thread (looks like the facebook page of Stills Ravi)

app_engine
28th July 2011, 07:00 PM
sangeetha jAthi mullai youteeb :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7sJKydipA

PARAMASHIVAN
28th July 2011, 07:13 PM
App Anna

In that stills, is that Mannivannan in the left hand side corner with beard and glasses ?

app_engine
28th July 2011, 07:27 PM
App Anna

In that stills, is that Mannivannan in the left hand side corner with beard and glasses ?

Yes, it's him...and the tall lean spectie could be either Manobala or Chitra Lakshman (both somewhat similar get-up guys those days)

San_K
28th July 2011, 08:06 PM
it is Manobala as per the picture details of Stills Ravi's face book album

V_S
28th July 2011, 09:35 PM
App,
You have finished this movie song in style! Wonderful write-up and zeroed-in with other songs and brought up its strength and lows, couldn't said better. Spot on! :thumbsup:

Sangeetha jaathi mullai is a nightmare to any singer and JV is right saying that. Another song of Maestro where he broke those conventional pallavi-charanam structure, only again when it is needed.

PARAMASHIVAN
28th July 2011, 09:46 PM
Sangeetha jaathi mullai is a nightmare to any singer and JV is right saying that. Another song of Maestro where he broke those conventional pallavi-charanam structure, only again when it is needed.

Yes, I have experience of singing this on a stage show, I had almost 2-3 days of practice prior to the competition and was scolded by the music troop for not getting in right even after 2-3 attempts, I was extremely nervous about the whole scenario. Me being a teenage that time didn't help any better.

The swaram bits towards the end was the difficult one, as you have to pronounce each ச ரி extra with perfection, else it would have been a big sothapal! Some how I just about to managed it! It all paid off in the end :)

BTW, who is JV ?

V_S
28th July 2011, 09:51 PM
BTW, who is JV ?
James Vasanthan. He was one of the judges in 'Hariyudan Naan' show in Jaya TV and as App said, his comment was to ban this song from singing in any reality/competion shows.:smile:

PARAMASHIVAN
28th July 2011, 10:01 PM
James Vasanthan. He was one of the judges in 'Hariyudan Naan' show in Jaya TV and as App said, his comment was to ban this song from singing in any reality/competion shows.:smile:

Thanks , Office la kallama post panralathe ethaiyume sariya padikarala :lol: :oops:

genesis
28th July 2011, 10:05 PM
In addition, though not intro'd by him, he can claim at least 0.1% credit in the up'pish-graph of mayilu, chappANi, parattai & kooththu...

And don't forget Muttam Chinnappadas.... hmm.... KK is atleast another 5 years away. Another great IR-BR combo (arguably the last!)

As usual great write up app engine. It never occurred to me K-O is a depressing album. Velli Chalangaigal and Sangeetha Jaathimullai have so much energy, I am never left depressed.

app_engine
28th July 2011, 11:14 PM
nanRi V_S & genesis!

We're coming close to the 100th day celebration of this compilation process. I've manipulated the order of movies within 1982 in such a way to bring one of my most fav albums for that landmark. Starting today, it will be ninaivellAm nithyA :-)

Now a request for readers of this thread - which of the following ones do you want to feature as the #100?

-rOjAvaiththAlAttum thenRal (my choice as it has SPB-SJ)
-pani vizhum malar vanam (one of the best fusion numbers ever in TFM)
-nee thAnE enthan pon vasantham (one of best 2nd interludes ever in TFM)

The fourth & fifth numbers are not competing with them and I'll feature them as #98 & #99. So, y'all have two days to post your recos :-)

app_engine
28th July 2011, 11:58 PM
#98 நினைவெல்லாம் நித்யா நித்யா
(நினைவெல்லாம் நித்யா, 1982) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2388'&lang=en)

What a sweet title for a movie!

(Well, one should look from the 1982 perspective and erase the controversial sAmiyAr from the mind :lol2:)

And what a sweet short song! The sweet flute, guitar and the mild background ambience to SPB's longing voice!

After the stupendous success of IO & AUA, the third movie where Sridhar & IR colloborated. And their best album together IMSO. Also one of the very best in IR/SPB combo albums. Quite innovative, experimental, futuristic, ever-green...use any superlative adjective and it fits this disc!

The young, thuLLal Karthik got signed up for this movie which should have charged up IR & SPB to give their best. On top of it, kAdhal mannan's daughter was roped in as the heroini. I don't think any intro-actress had so much of media coverage ever before. She was on covers of practically all Thamizh mags that used to hang on pettikkadais around the state. Though she was average looking, her dad's popularity (and step-mom's and half-sister's) made sure she was the talk of the town. She was called Jiji and was the poster girl UNTIL the release of the movie. After it bombed, nothing was ever heard of her. Possibly went back to medical college where she was a student at the time of movie-chance.

This was the LP disk that had 6 great full-size songs (3 SPB solos / 1 SPB-SJ / 1 MV-PS / 1 SJ solo) plus this short song.

As per my dost who went and caught it on cassette the same day the disk came to the center, it also contained instrumental tracks - many tik-tik-tik BGMs and ullAsappaRavaikaL title score. So, he captured those as well in that cassette. A cassette that was to play in the hostel for months and months!

genesis
29th July 2011, 12:00 AM
nanRi V_S & genesis!

We're coming close to the 100th day celebration of this compilation process. I've manipulated the order of movies within 1982 in such a way to bring one of my most fav albums for that landmark. Starting today, it will be ninaivellAm nithyA :-)

Now a request for readers of this thread - which of the following ones do you want to feature as the #100?

-rOjAvaiththAlAttum thenRal (my choice as it has SPB-SJ)
-pani vizhum malar vanam (one of the best fusion numbers ever in TFM)
-nee thAnE enthan pon vasantham (one of best 2nd interludes ever in TFM)

The fourth & fifth numbers are not competing with them and I'll feature them as #98 & #99. So, y'all have two days to post your recos :-)

My choice: pani vizhum malar vanam

AravindMano
29th July 2011, 12:12 AM
app, congrats on the 100th day, great going! :clap:

I too vote for pani vizhum malarvanam.

KV
29th July 2011, 12:22 AM
The problem with Sangeetha jaadhi mullai is that whenever I listen to it, my mind throws up montages of struggling, grotesque faces of music competition participants! Surely one of the most abused songs in TV shows. App, the ragana sagana part towards the end is quite ok for me actually, aakroshathukku summara nallave irukku. Surely not in the category of jaangujakkus and jilimilees.

I'm also eagerly awaiting NN. A knockout punch from the man, this one is.
This title song, I didnt even know was part of the album, until I heard it on Thiraipaadal a couple of weeks back! Nice little number.
We'll be needing more of the behind the scenes and teekadai talks (esp on the lead lady). Plummer ku summon anuppunga pa!

app_engine
29th July 2011, 12:32 AM
my mind throws up montages of struggling, grotesque faces of music competition participants! Surely one of the most abused songs in TV shows.

:lol: No wonder James Vasanthan was angry :-)

V_S
29th July 2011, 01:05 AM
"Well, one should look from the 1982 perspective and erase the controversial sAmiyAr from the mind"
:lol: Rare pick App! This song is not often heard one, but it will steal you. Can't forget these songs first time watched on Doordharshan. Yes remember my aunt, relatives talked much about jiji. But she was way uncomfortable in all these songs (not seen the movie), must have been forced by GG.

Divine22
29th July 2011, 01:55 PM
Thank You Plum & Param , for the info, :)
Undoubtedly that fellar in Kangalal Kaithu Sei has to be the worst ever ! dreadful choice for a hero!

Karthik, sweet hero of 80's &90s , an unique actor & fine find of BR in his own rights. Loved him so much in Mauna Raagam,

Im not a big fan of Bagyaraj, surely KH & RK should be thankful to BR, for giving an eternal cult hit 16 vayathinile, which opened the gateway for many many village oriented movies, during those days, i think.
And KH having done more movies with BR..with lovely songs in most of the movies.

App, ungga college anubavanggal padipathu romba swarashiyamaa irukku, Todarnthu eluthungge, actualla, just songs patti mattum ezhuthuna avlo iyalbaa irukathu, naduvula naduvula maane thene, podare matiri, ningelum ungge college life patti ezhuthurathu suvaiya irukku. Kalloori naatkal, atha kadanthu vantha ellarukkum teriyum anthe naatkal ellame Azhagana Naatkal...

My vote is for Neethane en pon vasantham, with comical dance moves by ottu meesai Karthik in tight over-all and that lady, (jiji) awkward,funny expressions(less)face! ;D
jokes apart, I love the interludes & preludes. and honey soaked singing by the great man !

groucho070
29th July 2011, 02:25 PM
KV, spot on with Sangeetha Jathi Mullai. Easy way out to impress half-past six judges.

app_engine
29th July 2011, 08:07 PM
should be thankful to BR, for giving an eternal cult hit 16 vayathinile, which opened the gateway for many many village oriented movies

From the Goundamani thread in TF section (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8773-Vaazhappala-Kaamedy-Kalagam-HO-NiRuvanar-VaLLal-Goundamani&p=716702&viewfull=1#post716702) let me quote some magazine's interview with Gounder's sister :

இப்பதான் சினிமாவில் இத்தனை வாய் பேசறான். சின்ன வயதில் பேசவே மாட்டான். பேசினாலும் மெதுவாகத்தான் பேசுவான். 15 வயதிலேயே ‘நானும் நாடகத்தில் நடிக்கப் போகிறேன்’ என்று விடாமல் நச்சரித்ததால் நான்தான் சென்னைக்குக் கொண்டு போய் விட்டு வந்தேன். பாய்ஸ் கம்பெனியில் சேர்ந்து, பின்னர் எம்.ஆர்.ஆர்.வாசு, ஓ.ஏ.கே.தேவர் நாடகங்களில் நடித்த பிறகுதான் சினிமாவில் நடிக்கத் தொடங்கினான். பாரதிராசா படத்துல நடிச்ச பிறகுதான் வெளியில் முகம் தெரியத் தொடங்கியது.

IMO, very significant contribution by BR to TF :-)

Plum
29th July 2011, 09:24 PM
+1 to Your college life anecdotes App.
As I speak, needhaane starts in raj tv - ninaivellaam nithya is running. I'll take that as a divine vote for it to be #100

Plum
29th July 2011, 09:27 PM
App, you are right. What a second interlude! The violin phrases, the pregnant pauses, and then the bass guitar dhwamsam.

app_engine
29th July 2011, 10:03 PM
#99 தோளின் மேலே பாரம் இல்லே கேள்வி கேட்க யாருமில்லே
(நினைவெல்லாம் நித்யா, 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2391'&lang=en)

The bass special song that bubbles with youthful energy!

Afro style drums, vocal harmony, synth sounds and a strong bass line - all these support an exuberant SPB vocal - to make a racy number! A song that can easily bring mental pictures of an energetic Karthik (ok, if not the ninaivellAm nithya scenes which not many can remember, 'rAjA, rAjAthi rAjan indha rAjA' Karthik should occur in the mind - that speedy one with iLamaiththuLLal)! I often wonder how this song would have turned out to be with Prabhudeva (if not dancing, at least as a dance master for Karthik) :roll:

Way ahead of its times for its "sounds" and overall construct! Especially the second interlude - what was Raja thinking, one would wonder :-) At last, one song which the remixers won't bother to touch - as their typical capability is only to introduce some "kannA-pinnA-hairabbA" noises -which had already been done via "lE-lElO-lElElO" biz by rAsA :lol:

(Who knows, they may try a rEp version in the future (thO----Lin----mE----lE----thoLithoLithoLithoLi-thOLin-mElE-thOLin-mElE--)

Whenever I play this number in the car, it's on a higher volume and the mood will simply soar! For hours, one will be on a high!

app_engine
29th July 2011, 10:12 PM
2 votes each for nee thAnE (Divine22, Plum) & pani vizhum (genesis, AravindMano), 1 for rOjAvaiththAlAttum (app_engine)...let's see if there are any more in another 24 hours.

After that, whichever gets more votes will be the #100 of IR-SPB & the others #101 & #102 :-)
(in case of a tie, coin suNdi decide paNNalAm)

V_S
29th July 2011, 11:31 PM
App, very tough question to ask. All these three songs are so close to everyone. Still I have to decide between Rojavai thaalaattum thendral and Neethaane enthan pon vasantham.

இலைகளில் காதல் கடிதம் வண்டு எழுதும் பூஞ்சோலை
இதழ்களில் மேனி முழுதும் இளமை வரையும் ஓர் கவிதை
மௌனமே சம்மதம் என்று தீண்டுதே மன்மத வண்டு
பார்த்தாலே தள்ளாடும் பூச்செண்டு ஆ... ஆ..

Vs

பாதை முழுதும் கோடி மலர்கள் பாடி வருமே தேவக் குயில்கள்
பன்னீரில் ஹே இளந்தேகம் நீராடும் பனிப்பூக்கள் ஹே உனைக்கண்டு தேனூறும்
நீ ஆடை அணிகலன் சூடும் வேலையில் ரோஜா மால்லிகை வாசம்
முக வேர்வைத் துளியது போகும் வரையினில் தென்றல் கவரிகள் வீசும்
சந்தோஷம் உன்னோடு கைவீசும் எந்நாளும்

The latter's tune even without the lyrics conveys the sensuality. Beautifully finishing the charanam with 'ennaaLum' to pallavi 'Neethaane'. 'EnaaLum Neethaane' gives a beautiful connection between charanam and pallavi. Vairamuthu's lines in charanam, sheer brilliance and excellent imagination, only him possible.

The tune and the lyrics of latter wins by a whisker for me. Also the latter one is a SPB solo, so he has sung the full song. That is another reason.

tvsankar
29th July 2011, 11:47 PM
i love Raja's Madhyamavathi.. Beautiful Flute.. violin.. wah wah guitar.
so vote for - Needhanae endhan

Nerd
30th July 2011, 12:30 AM
Just caught up with all the posts made in the past 1 week. Very interesting writeups app and congrats on the 100 :-)

All the 4 biggies in this album are phenomenal songs. Except Tholin Mele all others are hugely popular till this date. To me, Rojavai is slightly below the other 3. Would pick nee dhaanE marginally ahead of panivizhum malarvanam.

San_K
30th July 2011, 12:42 AM
count me on Neethane :), my favourite

AravindMano
30th July 2011, 12:46 AM
பாதை முழுதும் கோடி மலர்கள் பாடி வருமே தேவக் குயில்கள்
பன்னீரில் ஹே இளந்தேகம் நீராடும் பனிப்பூக்கள் ஹே உனைக்கண்டு தேனூறும்
நீ ஆடை அணிகலன் சூடும் வேலையில் ரோஜா மால்லிகை வாசம்
முக வேர்வைத் துளியது போகும் வரையினில் தென்றல் கவரிகள் வீசும்
சந்தோஷம் உன்னோடு கைவீசும் எந்நாளும்

நீ ஆடை அணிகலன் சூடும் அறைகளில் ரோஜா மல்லிகை வாசம் :)

V_S
30th July 2011, 01:01 AM
AravindMano,
Thanks for the correction. I think it has another typo as well. வரையிலும் instead of வரையினில்.

Sureshs65
30th July 2011, 02:22 PM
I will go with 'needhaane'.

KV
30th July 2011, 02:56 PM
Pani vizhum.. illaina inga kola vizhum

Plum
30th July 2011, 03:33 PM
6-3, first set to Nee dhaane, KV. :)

balaji
30th July 2011, 04:10 PM
100 - Pani Vizhum

A song to be remembered

skr
30th July 2011, 06:56 PM
My vote also for Pani Vizhum now its 6-5
Plum , game changed from Tennis to TT ..so 11 is the barrier to be breached :D

V_S
31st July 2011, 09:00 AM
No, its 7-5 (Plum, divine22, V_S, tvshankar, Nerd, San_K, Sureshs65) not 6-5. Set &Match win for neethaane.:-D

venkkiram
31st July 2011, 09:24 AM
பனி விழும்!

skr
31st July 2011, 09:25 AM
This is cheating :D but anyways i love both the songs Neethane and Pani Vizhum ..So im game with anything ..:)

AravindMano
31st July 2011, 09:39 PM

KV - :lol:

groucho070
1st August 2011, 07:11 AM
Neethane enthan ponvasantham. The emotion/expression very difficult to explain. Only SPB possible. Only Raja possible.

Divine22
1st August 2011, 11:02 AM

Yengga intha kola veri ? ;))

PARAMASHIVAN
1st August 2011, 03:22 PM
Allov

Enangaiya nadakithu inga ??? "பனி விழும்" is by far better than " நீ தானே எந்தன் பொன் வசந்தம் " !!!!

PARAMASHIVAN
1st August 2011, 03:24 PM
"Ninaivellam Nithya" Karthik padama ? :shock: நிச்சயமாக பார்த்தே தீர வேண்டும் ! யார் Heroine ? :lol2:

app_engine
1st August 2011, 05:53 PM
யார் Heroine ? :lol2:

Jiji, daughter of GG, who acted in only one movie (half sister of Hindi actress Rekha).

BTW, it appears nee thAnE takes the #100 spot.

However, since I'm behind by two days, I need to host three songs today and all three will be written about in course of the day. (Moved during the weekend and didn't get any time to hub)

PARAMASHIVAN
1st August 2011, 05:59 PM
Jiji, daughter of GG, who acted in only one movie (half sister of Hindi actress Rekha).

Oh ithu avaroda leelaigalil ondrO :lol2:

However, since I'm behind by two days, I need to host three songs today and all three will be written about in course of the day. (Moved during the weekend and didn't get any time to hub)

Take your time app anna , you are already doing the "mission Impossible " !

genesis
1st August 2011, 09:11 PM

app - I appreciate you being so nice and decent about introducing the heroine of the movie.

Param - I can guarantee one thing; VM did not get to see the heroine before writing the lyrics.

Sridhar is all guilty of using such beautiful songs on such uninspiring pair. Kannan-Radha were 100 times better in K-O compared to Karthik-Jiji in NN.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st August 2011, 09:18 PM
Param - I can guarantee one thing; VM did not get to see the heroine before writing the lyrics.

So normally the lyricist needs to see the heroine before writing a song? :confused2:

app_engine
1st August 2011, 10:26 PM
#100 நீ தானே எந்தன் பொன் வசந்தம்
புது ராஜ வாழ்க்கை நாளை உன் சொந்தம்
(நினைவெல்லாம் நித்யா, 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2387'&lang=en)

ok, we've hit (i.e. catalogued) the first century of SPB-IR hits! And, it's also nooRAvathu nAL as we did one song a day (well, train delayed by 48 hours)!

:clap: to all the contributors / supporters / encouragers / old TFM pages & DFers / dhool / thiraippadal / youtube / rakkamma & several other web resources!

It's a very appropriate song that took this spot - a song that's a highlight in the careers of both the singer and MD who are being glorified here. And one that has a special place in the hearts of those who frequent this thread. As mentioned before, the second interlude is very close to me, especially the last 'trAn-trAn' lightning mirattal by the guitar - wAh!

As observed by my classmates, it is in this song that the heroine first gets different costumes (other than the same tribal one that she wears until that point of time). It was kind of weird for the new intro actress as she had been appearing in all kinds of fancy attire on mags for months and then didn't have any modern dress for the most part of the movie - possibly a big disappointment for some. I still remember my shocking observation of a mid-age man on a bus, kissing her cover pic on some magazine when the movie was being filmed / advertised :shock: (Sridhar made sure no such disappointments to such joLLu parties when he filmed his next movie - 'thenRalE ennaiththodu' - with another intro actress :wink:).

The violin usage in this song was quite different for the time of appearance. That is, even considering the huge variety from the Raja shop. I don't remember hearing anything of such sophistication prior (there was some interesting solo usage in 'enRenRum AnandhamE' but this one is more majestic IMO). OTOH, the flute portions are traditional stuff - including the one in the prelude which is similar to prior use by IR and other masters. Ofcourse we had those guitar tricks in the second interlude that reminded senO ritA days. Overall, in the NN album, IR was running an orchestrational riot while SPB was full of enthu and we had Vairamuthu's significant contribution with interesting similies and such stuff - to make this song and others so cool. (More of VM in the next song's post :wink:)

And one'll have to give a large credit to "Mr music-ears", director Sridhar, who always got the best from his MDs!

V_S
1st August 2011, 10:39 PM
How to congratulate you? Huge applause :clap: :clap: :clap: for your monstrous contribution and non-tiring commitment. App'in 'Nooraavathu Naal' and brilliant post :notworthy:. We are proud of you App for having your here!

app_engine
1st August 2011, 11:00 PM
நன்றி V_S !
படிக்க யாரும் இல்லையேல் கிறுக்குவது வீண் தானே? ஆதலினால் அதிகம் :clap: சென்று சேர வேண்டியது வாசிப்போருக்குத்தான் :-)

Another memory from NN days :

I didn't make it to the theater during its main release (mainly because it didn't last longer). IIRC, it was in BHELEC that I saw this movie. BHELEC was a theater in the BHEL boiler plant. The name expands as "BHEL entertainment center" which was within bicyclable distance from hostel. It was there we saw most of those "new" films that had a second run after finishing the first run in Trichy. They used to have a smooth jazz track when "upping" the screens and play similar jazzy stuff during intervals. One of those interval stuff is what HJ's 'azhagiya theeyE' is inspired from.

Well, I clearly remember the "bulb" on the projector going dim right when this 'nee thAnE endhan pon vasantham' started and many fellows shouting :-) It took a few seconds before it got brighter again and some of those "costumes" had gone off by then :lol2:

app_engine
1st August 2011, 11:03 PM
nee thAnE endhan pon vasantham youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LyVodAvwjw

app_engine
1st August 2011, 11:11 PM
வைரமுத்துவின் பாடல் வரிகள்:

பல்லவி:

நீதானே எந்தன் பொன் வசந்தம்
புது ராஜ வாழ்க்கை நாளை உன் சொந்தம்
என் வாசல் ஹே வரவேற்கும் அந்நேரம்
பொன் சொர்க்கம் ஹே அரங்கேறும் கண்ணோரம்
ஆஹா...

சரணம் 1

பாதை முழுதும் கோடி மலர்கள்
பாடி வருமே தேவ குயில்கள்
உன்னாடை ஹே மிதக்கின்ற பாலாடை
உன் காலை ஹே குளிப்பாட்டும் நீரோடை

வெயில் நாளும் சுடுமென தேகம் கெடுமென
ஜன்னல் திரையிடும் மேகம்
இரு காதல் விழிகளில் வீசும் ஒளிகளில்
பிறையும் பெளர்ணமியாகும்
சந்தோஷம் உன்னோடு கை வீசும் எந்நாளும்

சரணம் 2

ஈர இரவில் நூறு கனவு
பேதை விழியில் போதை நினைவு
பன்னீரில் ஹே இளந்தேகம் நீராடும்
பனிப்பூக்கள் ஹே உனைக்கண்டு தேனூறும்

நீ ஆடை அணிகலன் சூடும் அறைகளில்
ரோஜா மல்லிகை வாசம்
முக வேர்வைத் துளியது போகும் வரையிலும்
தென்றல் கவரிகள் வீசும்
நெஞ்சோரம் தள்ளாடும் முத்தாரம் எந்நாளும்

KV
1st August 2011, 11:15 PM
Ah! What a life-breather! Its been only sangu sattham, thappu and azhuvachi after Indian cricket team's gangrEp this evening. This song and your post with all your lovely usual anecdotes helps in a large way in bringing back some solace. Your enthusiasm is infectious; your commitment and perseverance is enviable stuff! Thodarattum indha inba mazhai :-)

San_K
1st August 2011, 11:25 PM
How to congratulate you? Huge applause :clap: for your monstrous contribution and non-tiring commitment. App'in 'Nooraavathu Naal' and brilliant post :notworthy:. We are proud of you App for having your here!

+1 (I borrow V_S words)

@ KV kola veri vasanthamagiducha :lol:

KV
1st August 2011, 11:51 PM
Ada, adhellam summa oru rhyming timing thing saar. Kalai (கலை) veri dhaan firstu, kola veri ellam nesstu dhaan.

app_engine
2nd August 2011, 12:12 AM
nanRi, KV & San_K!

Since I'm behind by 2 days, pani vizhum as well as rOjAvaiththAlAttum should get posted today :-)

app_engine
2nd August 2011, 12:47 AM
#101 பனி விழும் மலர்வனம் உன் பார்வை ஒரு வரம்
(நினைவெல்லாம் நித்யா, 1982 , பாடலாசிரியர் வைரமுத்து) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2389'&lang=en)

I remember posting in some other thread about the Thamizh activities in the college. There were some enthusiastic students who organized literary activities, got some approvals / funds / support by some faculty and ran a cyclostyled magazine called 'thEnaruvi'. It possibly started when I was in the first semester but I came to know / appreciate it only in 2nd sem as the 1st sem was one of terror.

Even during the terrifying ragging period, we were generally appreciative of one of the senior's hostels where the treatment was very mild. It was Pearl hostel where 50% of the 3rd yearers lived (who belonged to the last of the 5 year BE system), and most were from TN (the other state fellows were harshest raggers in our experience with Odiyans the worst). Now, this very nice senior - a bespectacled, bearded gentleman whose appearance was like the student who shouts "மாணவர் தலைவனை அடித்த ப்ரின்சீபால் ஒழிக" in iLamaikkaalangal, was the #2 in that Thamizh group (after the editor who was from final year).

He was not only a poet / writer but also a lover of music. Specifically, he was very gentle to freshies and treat with real friendliness. No wonder we quickly became friends and after a year, when he became #1 / editor, he even published a short story by me and a couple of poems in "thEnaruvi" :-) Now, he was a lover of pre-IR music and obviously that led to a lot of mutually-respectful discussions. At times, he could make fun of the poem part of the new songs.

One interesting feature he introduced in that mag - he used to post a poem (for which he had a tuneful melody in his mind) and ask the readers to come up with a melody for it. It was like trying to identify budding composers. I don't know how much he was succesful in getting responses for that but I found it a very interesting exercise. In our corridor talks, we used to have the mag and try to sing it with a number of tunes, make fun of the "composition" etc and it paved way for a lot of fun.

One sample line of such :
"அன்னமே இவள் முன்னால் உன் மென்மை எங்கே
ஆஹா இக்கன்னியின் அழகிடம் தோற்றாய்" ...what he originally had in mind was a soft, slow melody while in our wing we had a rocking dappAnguththu (with addition of "dhik-dhikkum...dhikkum...dhik-dhikkum" sounds etc :lol:)

Now why do I write all this about him? Well, what more can I write about 'pani vizhum malarvanam's greatness that none of you know? So, let me add this peculiar behaviour of this gentleman w.r.t. this song. When it was a rage, he told me "I don't like the song". Shocked, I asked him why. He said, "because everyone is praising it sky-high". Interestingly, he hadn't even heard the song at that time but already disliked it.

I learnt a lesson in psychology then. There are people -nice people - who hate things simply because those things are talked about all the time (regardless of whether those were good or not, such people simply don't care for them).

BTW, one of the best poems from VM on appreciating iyaRkai azhagu :wink:

app_engine
2nd August 2011, 12:52 AM
pani vizhum youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtXXEYS-5Yk

app_engine
2nd August 2011, 01:00 AM
BTW, at the height of the bloody riots in 1983 in SL, this senior wrote a story in thEnaruvi which I still vividly remember :cry2: Sure it was imaginary but there were very similar real-life incidents in any place that gets suddenly torn based on racial / linguistic /ethnic / caste etc differences.

It was about a friendly Sinhala neighbor who was always well-known to this Thamizh family in which this girl -the main character of the story - is a tailor. To cut the story short, at the heights of the riot, this once-well-behaved-neighbor tries to rape her and she kills him with her scissors. The story ended like "there was born the next extremist" :cry:

app_engine
2nd August 2011, 01:58 AM
#102 ரோஜாவைத்தாலாட்டும் தென்றல்
(நினைவெல்லாம் நித்யா, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2390'&lang=en)

The prior two albums that IR did with Sridhar were VJ specials -orE nAL unai nAn & nAnE nAnA respectively - but here no VJ. SJ got two songs (essentially the same song - happy / pathos) while PS got the third one, duet with MV (kannippoNNi kai mElE, katti vachcha poomAlai). With SPB together, my most fav duet pair happens for the first time in an IR-Sridhar movie and what a sweet song that results! Vairamuthu was it terrific form too as the similies came in a flurry (koondhal = mEgham etc). Raja had strong chords in this song (possibly using electric guitar as he did for iLaya nilA) and a unique rhythm pattern to make it absolutely catchy!

There is some "basically-north-indian" touch in the song (can't explain, possibly the rAgam or the instrumental combo for interludes or the way SJ sings in the saraNams) but one senses such a strong flavor. The strings that run along in harmony are a sweet treat as well. My most fav portion - in the middle of the saraNam when one sings a line, the other responds as 'hA'...e.g.mounamE sammadham enRu -hA, what a good feeling of togetherness there!

Per existing standards, this song enjoyed the best recording quality and obviously a rage with anyone who had a decent music system. And the most preferred album for all those tea-shops with big box speakers. And those recording centers that incessantly kept recording cassettes off of the NN LP to get their cash registers ringing played these songs at their best settings possible, to attract crowds.

It was impossible to walk in the main guard gate area in Trichy those days without listening to a portion of NN song coming from somewhere or other. I clearly remember how many boys started learning guitar those days - purely inspired by IR! And the starting sounds of pani vizhum were the ones that everyone tried to play first as it sounded simple :-) Lead in the pani vizhum interludes or chords of rOjAvaiththAlAttum were reserved for "advanced students". In one way or other, the songs of NN had an impact on the public of TN regardless of whether they were serious music lovers or not.

What a memorable album for a forgettable film!

app_engine
2nd August 2011, 02:03 AM
rOjAvaiththAlAttum thenRal youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9_XEw_feDU

groucho070
2nd August 2011, 07:04 AM
app, working overtime eh? One of IR's best album, for me, because I am a biased SPB fan and here lies some of his best work. Wonderful reminiscence of the time gone by, app. Thanks.

KV
2nd August 2011, 12:20 PM
Abdiye aapiss lendhu escape aagi, time machine la 80s ku poi, Thiruchi bus stand, REC, ellam sutthi paatha oru unarvu. Nandri app.
Pani vizhum is one of the songs that 'inducted' me into the 'IR school'. I was so awestruck hearing this song the first time. I had no clue of which movie it was from, who the composer was or who had sung it. I just fell for the tune and then the madness crept in. I called my sister immediately and sang her the 1st line (pani vizhum tha ra ra rum) and asked her details. (the first one that struck me like a bolt of lightning was Poongatru from Moondrampirai). The patterns slowly started forming as I started liking specific songs and then it dawned upon me that the brain behind all of it was one, the special one. Appo pudicha pitthu dhaan...

KV
2nd August 2011, 01:33 PM
A recent discovery for me was the female solo version of Rojavai thaalattum - Kaanal neer pola (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00430&lang=en). The instumentation's slightly different in this version, even the interludes. Does this song feature in the movie as well?

Sureshs65
2nd August 2011, 01:56 PM
app,

I have said this earlier and say it again. You should collate all these writings, do a bit of editing and publish this as a book. It will be wonderful for people to read about the 80s through your experience and Raja's music. I am saying this seriously. Do think about it.

Good to see you complete the century. Unlike our fellows in England :(

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd August 2011, 03:28 PM
It was about a friendly Sinhala neighbor who was always well-known to this Thamizh family in which this girl -the main character of the story - is a tailor. To cut the story short, at the heights of the riot, this once-well-behaved-neighbor tries to rape her and she kills him with her scissors. The story ended like "there was born the next extremist" :cry:

App anna, is this a "real incident" or a story ?

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd August 2011, 03:35 PM
I have said this earlier and say it again. You should collate all these writings, do a bit of editing and publish this as a book. It will be wonderful for people to read about the 80s through your experience and Raja's music. I am saying this seriously. Do think about it.

Yes, I completely agree, App Anna you have the talent to express emotions and narrate it in such a way to reach the audience, you should "seriously" start thinking about writing a book based on your post!

app_engine
2nd August 2011, 06:42 PM
App anna, is this a "real incident" or a story ?

It was a short story written by that college senior (who expressed dislike of 'pani vizhum' because of his definition of 'hype') on the 'thEnaruvi' college mag.

app_engine
2nd August 2011, 06:44 PM
nanRi groucho, Sureshji, KV & Param for the kind words!

BTW, I corrected the youtube link for nee thAnE on page 136...this one now has the movie visuals that are :lol: material!

Divine22
3rd August 2011, 06:38 AM
Warewaa ...100th song completed !! and Neethane en pon vasantham , what a song for a century!
You're doing a great job! melum Payanam todarattum...

Rojavai talattum tendral, what a sweet breezy song, lovely lyrics too. I must admit the songs from NN are purely for the ears & heart!!! Never for the eyes, I dislike the picturizations of all the songs, lack of creativity,chemistry between the pair, but they were such a laughing material like you said, with really awkwardly hilarious dance movements, Choreographer-ai katti vachi otaikkanumnge !

Whats the next album sir ? aarvathoda waitinggu ....

Plum
3rd August 2011, 11:58 AM
That was a very astute write-up for pani vizhum, app. You kept us guessing on the relevance of the write-up and gave a knock-out punch in the end, which, incidentally, brought out the futility of trying to explain such an exquisite piece of art as pani vizhum.

I dont want to say I'll second Suresh's and Faramu's suggestion of editing this into a book - but that's only because I think I suggested that long back myself :)

I think, apart from the free-flowing nostalgia, filmy trivia, and sometimes insightful analyses on the songs themselves, you do surprise with the variety of approaches to writing about the song.

I'll even go one step ahead - I am willing to help with the editing process, proof-reading and putting together a coherent book.

groucho070
3rd August 2011, 12:01 PM
I'll even go one step ahead - I am willing to help with the editing process, proof-reading and putting together a coherent book.+1 :smile: Not that I yam inglis great. Extra pair of eyes helps.

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd August 2011, 03:35 PM
+1 :smile: Not that I yam inglis great. Extra pair of eyes helps.

No No, That would be a "terrible" Idea , Annan Flum Chee Plum will be comparing SPB+IR with Cricketers! :lol2: :yessir:

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd August 2011, 03:38 PM
I dont want to say I'll second Suresh's and Faramu's suggestion of editing this into a book - but that's only because I think I suggested that long back myself :)

yOv ithu umakE romba overa theriyala :x :)

San_K
3rd August 2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.ticketnew.com/Upload/Image/EventMaster/EventImage/2135.jpg

நானும் ராஜாவும் - SPB, a music concert @ Chennai on 7th Aug (http://www.ticketnew.com/BookingPage.aspx)

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd August 2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.ticketnew.com/Upload/Image/EventMaster/EventImage/2135.jpg

நானும் ராஜாவும் - SPB, a music concert (http://www.ticketnew.com/BookingPage.aspx)

Perfect Timing :thumbsup:

San_K
3rd August 2011, 03:44 PM
yeah perfect thread

will try to catch but not sure

app_engine
3rd August 2011, 08:54 PM
nanRi Divine22, Plum & groucho!

Once again I'm behind by a day...BTW, it looks like with NN, it's curtains for 1982. There are a couple other SPB-IR songs that weren't hits (not even on radio, IMO) and neither the movies were popular...Those are Ezhai viLakku from echchil iravukaL (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0684'&lang=en) and alaigaLE from kavidhai malar (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1648'&lang=en) and can't be featured as separate posts. I'll do the 1982 links post before moving on to #103 & #104 that are due and they'll be from 1983 - another great year for this combo.

app_engine
3rd August 2011, 09:00 PM
Since IR was on top speed during those years, it was possible that some albums got released in 1982 but movies came in 1983 (a "model year" kind of phenomenan that continued thru out for the rest of his career).

So, let's not attach too much importance to this year thingy - it's just a way to recollect some great songs and have fun. There will be statistical errors / challenges due to lack of exact details / archives to public on TF. Film news Ananthan kind of resources will be accurate for any serious effort if someone wants references and this thread definitely cannot fulfill such standards.

app_engine
3rd August 2011, 10:52 PM
ok, the link compilation for the songs posted thus far :

All 70's & years 1980, 1981 here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=705674&viewfull=1#post705674)

Those of 1982:

#73 dheem dhiranana (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=705876&viewfull=1#post705876)
#74 kAviriyE kAviriyE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=706706&viewfull=1#post706706)
#75 vAnengum thanga vinmeeNkaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=706730&viewfull=1#post706730)
#76 iLaya nilA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=707046&viewfull=1#post707046)
#77 rAgadheepam ERRum nEram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=707491&viewfull=1#post707491)
#78 thOgai iLa mayil (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=707910&viewfull=1#post707910)
#79 Ey AththA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=708333&viewfull=1#post708333)
#80 sAlaiyOram sOlai onRu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=708466&viewfull=1#post708466)
#81 maNiyOsai kEttu ezhundhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=708879&viewfull=1#post708879)
#82 vaigaRaiyil vaikai karaiyil (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=709204&viewfull=1#post709204)
#83 samaiyal pAdamE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=709810&viewfull=1#post709810)
#84 mAlaisoodakkaNNE rAdhA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=710340&viewfull=1#post710340)
#85 nEththu rAththiri yammA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=711655&viewfull=1#post711655)
#86 iLamai idhO idhO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=711659&viewfull=1#post711659)
#87 pookkaL sindhungaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=711670&viewfull=1#post711670)
#88 sandhanakkARRE senthamizh ooRRE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=712163&viewfull=1#post712163)
#89 nAn thAndA ippO dEvadAs (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=712699&viewfull=1#post712699)
#90 koovungaL sEvalkaLE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=713182&viewfull=1#post713182)
#91 nAn thAn tAppu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=713560&viewfull=1#post713560)
#92 poovil vaNdu koodum (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=713941&viewfull=1#post713941)
#93 veLLichchalangaikaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=714388&viewfull=1#post714388)
#94 ammA azhagE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=714928&viewfull=1#post714928)
#95 kuyilE kuyilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=714948&viewfull=1#post714948)
#96 nathiyil Adum poovanam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=715697&viewfull=1#post715697)
#97 sangeetha jAthi mullai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=715922&viewfull=1#post715922)
#98 ninaivellAm nithyA nithyA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=716401&viewfull=1#post716401)
#99 thOLin mElE bAram illE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=717090&viewfull=1#post717090)
#100 nee thAnE enthan pon vasantham (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=718690&viewfull=1#post718690)
#101 pani vizhum malarvanam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=718724&viewfull=1#post718724)
#102 rOjAvaiththAlAttum thenRal (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=718731&viewfull=1#post718731)

app_engine
4th August 2011, 01:16 AM
#103 தாமரைக்கொடி தரையில் வந்ததெப்படி?
(ஆனந்தக்கும்மி, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0049'&lang=en)

Let's begin the year 1983 with a sweet SPB number that was great in sounds. The second interlude is simply out of the world! SPB, in his prime, was singing with so much of enthusiasm to a jubilant sounding number -almost war cries - even though the lyrics have nothing to suggest anything of that sort. A love song, presented in a battle kind of format and so the emotions of the song are somewhat confusing.

In any case, the movie should have been equally confusing to the public as it didn't run beyond a week IIRC. Never got a chance to watch it and don't remember who the actors were / director was etc. Only two things are known - music & producer. Producer? Yes, because it was produced by none other than Ilayaraja. That too not the 'pAvalar / RD Bhaskar' banner but in his own name.

As a producer, he spent decent money for the music (possibly the first one he got recorded in Bombay, talked about the better facilities there / how individual instruments could get recorded in different tracks etc). Signed up decent singers (rather than singing all of them by himself / his brothers). So, out came a fantastic album! Most songs were penned by VM (this one definitely was) and were above-average on that count as well. (Except mainA-mainA, somehow that word cheapens a song IMO - it can never equal the kuyil or kiLi word, even though the bird itself is equally lovable).

This song was not as big a hit as I wanted it to be. Was on radio / tea shop / recording centers / TDK cassettes etc but not to the scale it deserved - not even as popular as the mainA or other songs from the same movie. That is still inexplicable as I consider this song as one much above most others from that time period!

groucho070
4th August 2011, 07:18 AM
Great drums, and the strings again reminds me of the Bond soundtrack. SPB at his most jovial and serious about it. The "Leelai seyvathil" chuckle "nAn pathi kannanE" was written about by....Compli I think in one of his articles. Classic.

Nerd
4th August 2011, 07:25 AM
Congrats again app on the 100 :clap:

Video of the 2nd interlude of thaamraikkodi. Has Sam Anderson in his youth 'dancing'. Not for the faint-hearted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMiPdGhPD2w&feature=related

Plum
4th August 2011, 02:04 PM
I also have read that IR penned the story for this one - a pretty pathetic one so I hope it is not true.

A minor movie with some of the major songs of IR in his career. Waiting for the other two, both of which I love the Telugu version for the sheer joy of the lyrics rolling off the tune, a favourite theme of mine in these threads.

KV
4th August 2011, 04:11 PM
App, great choice to kick start '83! The drums work in this song is awesome!
Plum, +1 on that. I'm actually listening to Jilibi palukula right now. But for the starting lines that sound almost like a tongue twister, the flow of the lyrics is super smooth.

V_S
4th August 2011, 08:46 PM
App, Eppadi sir ivvalo vishayangala pidikkireenga, upto his own production and recorded in Bombay. Too much insights. Wow! :clap: Yes great song to start for 1983, one of my favorite along with oomai nenjin and oru kiLi uruguthu.

PARAMASHIVAN
4th August 2011, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

I vaguely remember a movie with karthik called Bhagavathipuram Railwaygate, I guess this was released in 1984 ? I watched this movie for the first time in eraly 2000, I am sure it was IR as the MD

app_engine
4th August 2011, 09:48 PM
nanRi Nerd, KV & V_S!

The visuals are a total disgrace to such a classy composition :-( Can't even laugh at it!

ippadi eththanai eththanai kodumaikaLO!

app_engine
4th August 2011, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

I vaguely remember a movie with karthik called Bhagavathipuram Railwaygate...I am sure it was IR as the MD

Yes, 1983 movie (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00075&lang=en) with those 'kAlai nErakkARRE', 'sevvaraLiththOttaththula' & 'thennangeeRRum'...

PARAMASHIVAN
4th August 2011, 09:52 PM
Yes, 1983 movie (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00075&lang=en) with those 'kAlai nErakkARRE', 'sevvaraLiththOttaththula' & 'thennangeeRRum'...

Oh OK, thanks :)

skr
4th August 2011, 10:21 PM
Chance eh Illa - This thread is rocking full time ..Nice to c so much of activities on this thread ..Like others said , app u shd definitely consider compiling this into a book ..Your slang and way of describing compositions added to the background story will be of gr8 reading pleasure for the common man ..
Keep goin App ..awaiting more rocking no.s and stories rewinding back to 1983 ..

PARAMASHIVAN
4th August 2011, 10:27 PM
1983 should have more interesting albums! App anna has a a "marathon" to complete :notworthy:

app_engine
4th August 2011, 11:16 PM
nanRi, skr!

I need to key in two songs today to catch up and both will be from Anandhakkummi...

app_engine
5th August 2011, 01:01 AM
#104 ஒ வெண்ணிலாவே, வா ஓடி வா
(ஆனந்தக்கும்மி, 1983 ஜானகி / ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0043'&lang=en)

One male + 2 female songs are not a rarity in TFM (though not as commonplace as reNdu poNdAttikkArarkaL in TN :wink:). The famous ones that come to mind quickly are nAnoru ponnOvium, nAn onna nenachchEn, Ayiram malarkaLE malarungaL. And so is this sweet number that has SPS adding to the best-of-the-duet-pairs-in-TFM. Song was a little more popular than thAmarikkodi on radio and buses.

I simply love the bass score of this song, especially the "transition to saraNam" part of the interludes. On the melody part, 'nALai indha vELai emai nee kANa vA, O pAl pOla vA' anupallavi part is unadulterated honey IMHO. On the lyric part, well, sweet but so, so - 'nilA nilA Odi vA nillAmal Odi vA' kind of pallavi which gets a little better in saraNam, overall quite average considering the umpteen nilA songs in TFM.

I know very well that AK was months later to kOzhi koovuthu and in my scale nowhere compared to that killer of an album. In a way, the recording & SPB were the major plusses of the album that helped it reach a level where A-kummi can even be discussed on the same line with k-koovuthu. kk is perhaps among the top-few innovative albums EVER in TFM. (Why compare these two? because both were IR family productions from the same time period). That way, though it had evergreen songs, personally, AK was a less satisfying album (despite thAmaraikkodi).

app_engine
5th August 2011, 01:34 AM
#105 ஊமை நெஞ்சின் ஓசைகள் காதில் கேளாதோ
(ஆனந்தக்கும்மி, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0045'&lang=en)

Vairamuthu in decent form in this song, with his special 'oomai nenjin Osai' cover drive. Despite some mAne thEne here and there which were necessary for filmy lyrics those days (may be to accommodate some Raja tunes), this song has such interesting phrases and the smooth flowing melody makes this song sweet. With SPB-SJ effortlessly delivering the goods, this one becomes easily the second pick of the album for me. And what a terrific second interlude with that sweet guitar phrase as the cream on the top!

Ofcourse there's simply no right emotion (if pathos had been intended) which is a common problem for all the songs of this album. thAmaraikkodi sounds like a war-cry (compared to kAdhal kEli), oomai nenjin sounds like a thAlAttu (supposedly pirivuththuyaram), O veNNilAvE sounds like children school song (and not a lovers' memorobilia). IR/SPB - who are supposedly the best in the business when it comes to that area (of emotions in TFM), went without a clue in this album. Sweet but not evoking strong feelings of the right kind or any form of nostalgia :-( Quite strange that way!

I think this album came in the 4th sem when we all had single rooms in the Emerald hostel. I had a Philips transistor radio (from grandfather as his home had a big stereo now, thanks to his last son-in-law-who-was-living-with-them, a mech engineer and big-time into music, even had a recording center later on in that city of Kamarajar). However, some friends had big stereos / walkmans in the hostel and life became a lot more musical. One of them -brother of a MLA and my badminton teammate - had that famous Panasonic stereo player (the same model with the Paul Mauriat demo which I've posted earlier about) and this one was to be the source of great music for most of us for the rest of the stay :-)

rajkumarc
5th August 2011, 11:19 AM
Beautiful write-ups App for Ninaivellam Nithya songs, your writings mixed with nostalgia are such a pleasure to read and for sure transports us back to those times. Great start to 1983 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nerd
5th August 2011, 05:57 PM
App,

Which was the most popular song in AK at that time? The female duet oru kiLi uruguthu is the most popular today. And I have listened to O vennilaavE in the FM channels. The other two are not popular at all. Thamaraikkodi is almost forgotten. Thanks to people like you and complicateur (in that lovely writeup in Times of India) the song is getting some new listeners. :clap:

app_engine
5th August 2011, 06:38 PM
App,

Which was the most popular song in AK at that time?

'mainA, mainA' was the most popular and 'O veNNilAvE' the next. The others were occasionally on radio / buses.

Interestingly, as per the existing culture, many people recorded all songs (except may be the 'machchAn mAtteekkittAru' and 'aNNanmArE thambeemArE' that turned off such "recorders" due to the irritating first line). 'thAmaraikkodi' enjoyed reasonable popularity with such private cassette players (i.e. in my observation) along with thiNdAduthE & oomai nenjin OsaikaL.

V_S
5th August 2011, 09:51 PM
Beautiful write-ups App!. You are carrying us with Raja's music, your wonderful college memories simultaneously, along with various insights and anecdotes which gives a thoroughly entertaining and nostalgic read.

app_engine
5th August 2011, 10:02 PM
nanRi, V_S!

1983 will be as exciting a year as 1982, having tons of Raja albums with adequate SPB presence.

PARAMASHIVAN
5th August 2011, 10:11 PM
nanRi, V_S!

1983 will be as exciting a year as 1982, having tons of Raja albums with adequate SPB presence.

App anna

Wasn't Salangai Oli released in 83 as well ? :roll:

app_engine
5th August 2011, 10:16 PM
Since 1983 has simply too many IR-SPB albums and the timeline isn't as cleary remembered, I'm reverting back to the alphabetical order thingy (and Anandhakkummi came first). I think the significant numbers from AK are done and I should move on to the 200th movie of IR today :-) The other SPB numbers from AK - aNNanmArE thambimArE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4107'&lang=en)and machchAn mAtteekkittAru (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0042'&lang=en)don't need separate posts IMO even though those were heard here and there those days. (I remember reading somewhere in the hub that one of them featured GM getting adi)...

app_engine
5th August 2011, 10:17 PM
App anna

Wasn't Salangai Oli released in 83 as well ? :roll:

Yes, ofcourse! And I saw the movie on the same day Kapil hit 175 n.o in the Prudential cup!

app_engine
5th August 2011, 11:39 PM
#106 அந்தரங்கம் யாவுமே சொல்வதென்றால் பாவமே
(ஆயிரம் நிலவே வா, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0080'&lang=en)

SPB singing in a pitch different from speaking, possibly to differentiate two Karthiks (is it a dual role or manasAtchi or his own "Avi" or multiple personality? What was it? Didn't see the movie neither have any clue about the story). Ofcourse, the speech part ('epdi, epdi') is thoroughly irritating while the singing part is sweet. A guitar rich song with a new rhythm pattern for the time period and decent interludes. Overall, IR had done a minimum-standard-but-not-extraordinary-kind-of-job for this movie, despite the advertisements telling "200th movie of IR".

Actually my picks those days from this album weren't SPB numbers at all - 'gangai ARRil' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0083'&lang=en) by PS with that sweet guitar prelude & 'oottikkuLiru ammAdi' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0085'&lang=en) by MV/SPS with the cracking thALam were my favs. However, the radio / bus / tea stall / recording center kind of groups preferred the SPB numbers :confused: There was also a mukkal-munakal SJ song, kanni iLam poovudal (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0084'&lang=en).

Most of our wingmates too kind of aligned with my taste and it was 'oottikkuLiru' blasting out of the Panasonic stereo all the time! Very catchy beats that should make anyone shake / tap a bit :-) andharangam yAvumE had its own wingcasts but not the hot fav.

Movie was probably a flop and didn't do much to Karthik's career.

jaiganes
5th August 2011, 11:55 PM
isnt this the movie with the rehash song of "KeLadhe nimagaagi" from Kannada movie Geetha into "Dhevadhai ILameni" ? what a fantastic transformation from a pathos to spooky.
I believe this movie was directed by RamaNarayanan and the plot involved a fake ghost story put on by the hero to fool the heroine (Sulakshana?).

app_engine
6th August 2011, 12:01 AM
isnt this the movie with the rehash song of "KeLadhe nimagaagi" from Kannada movie Geetha into "Dhevadhai ILameni" ? what a fantastic transformation from a pathos to spooky.
I believe this movie was directed by RamaNarayanan and the plot involved a fake ghost story put on by the hero to fool the heroine (Sulakshana?).

Yes, dEvadhai iLam dEvi unnaichchuRRum Avi is the song and the director was A S Prakasam IIRC

San_K
6th August 2011, 12:06 AM
App, Superb song and Superb writeup as well. This was one of my recent discovery (:lol:)

Jai, even I have listened telugu version (original?) of Andharangam Yaavume song

Shank
6th August 2011, 12:08 AM
app_engine, my take is that the "eppidi eppidi" was very novel then. I was young at that time (but already hooked to IR songs), and it was quite new, with the playfulness of the song coming through in those words. Also, I love the interludes of this song....wouldn't agree at all with your "minimum-not extraordinary" opinion, at least for this song.

Also, the two songs I listened to most from that album were Andharangam Yavume and Dhevadhai Ilam devi...

app_engine
6th August 2011, 12:19 AM
I love the interludes of this song....wouldn't agree at all with your "minimum-not extraordinary" opinion, at least for this song.

Also, the two songs I listened to most from that album were Andharangam Yavume and Dhevadhai Ilam devi...

I agree, a number of people loved these two songs from the album but me (and my hostel colleagues) were out of sync. I think those two dry years of "thuvAkcity" corrupted the mind :-)

Plum
6th August 2011, 12:23 AM
Manchu Kurise Velalo(abhinandhana) offers you an option without epdi epdi app. I deleyed the tamil version from memory because of the epdi epdi. Thank God for telugu and vamsi...

balaji
6th August 2011, 05:33 AM
App-Engine

Absoultely Fabulous job. Thanks you are doing us a service, keep it up

For the several years you have been writing in the forum (At least 10 I would think), this is the first time, we differ in our taste that too on a IR/SPB song.

Devadhai Illam Devi/Andharangam Yavume (in spite of the Eppadi/Eppadi) would be listed in any one's TOP SPB solos - especially Devadhai.. What a song!. Sheer brilliance of IR/SPB showing superb contrast between this one and the Kannada "Geetha" song, tune being the same.

Gangai Aaru was a good song as well.

"ooti Kuliru"?? Hmm, we differ sorry

Once again, excellent job, Thanks and kindly continue

app_engine
7th August 2011, 12:12 AM
nanRi, balaji!

I do like the SPB songs of A-N-V but the others scored over them during college days due to many possible reasons. Looking back, it could be due to the huge transitions in (musical) taste due to the exposure in what could be called a "mini-america" that was only meters away from a TN village setting (i.e. the inside of REC campus where individuals with shorts / bathroom slippers / "love an enginIEEEr" roundneck shirts roamed around in brakeless bicycles).

Another development was due to a simple statement by a non-musical classmate who asked me 'did you hear "Thriller?". When I said 'No', he asked me another question, 'do you know MJ'. Again I said 'No'. His statement then was - you talk / discuss so much about music but don't know the #1 in the world!

I was in a state of shock!

Well, until that point, my exposure to music was primarily TFM and occasional Hindi songs / BoneyM / ABBA / western instrumentals that were used for march-past in school & circus :lol: (say, the piece called 'escape') and that's about it.

Now, his statement simply gave me a strong kick. What followed in another few days was a cover article in TIME that I chanced upon in the college library on MJ ("why, he is a thriller inside his world")! That same week, while loitering in burma bazaar, I spotted this cassette from Singapore (with a guitarist / STEREO logo) that had "The very best of Michael Jackson" and got it. It had beat it, girl is mine, thriller, off the wall, don't stop till you get enough, rock with you, I'll be there, billie jean among others. I had that cassette for another 20 years (and should still be in some corner in the house in India) :-)

So, a big change in approach to music listening from the year 1983 and that thing, kind of reflected on the personal rating of songs that appeared during that transition period :-)

app_engine
7th August 2011, 12:27 AM
#107 தேவதை இளம் தேவி உன்னைச்சுற்றும் ஆவி
(ஆயிரம் நிலவே வா, 1983 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0081'&lang=en)

The most popular song of IR's 200th movie and as observed by Jai / Plum / balaji, a rework of IR's melodious number from other language into Thamizh as a eerie one. I was watching the youtube yesterday - which looks good though not causing fear. Karthik is nice and so is Sulakshana on this video.

As mentioned in the prior post, my rating of this song was influenced by factors other than the song itself while the acceptance was quite high among public. Had a lot of radio / bus / teastall time. Another irritation causing thing to me was certain MSV-fans in the hostel comparing this to 'engE nimmadhi' which was unjustified.

In any case, a nice song to hear - if one discounts those nari / nAi ooLais and such sounds.

balaji
7th August 2011, 02:34 AM
All engine

Nice summary of your musical experience as a young man

83 Had wonderful films
Excellent - Adutha Varsisu, Vellai Roja (2 wonderful duets each) , Mundhanai Mudichu, Raagangal Maruvadhillai, Thanga Magan, Thoongadhe Thambi, Salangai Oli (Kamal focused more on non Tamil films era)

Some Nice songs = Oru Odai Nadhiyagiradhu (Thalayai kuniyum Thamarai), Payum Puli (Aadi Masam - cracker of a song only because of SPB), Anney Anney (Urugine - nice melody thanks to spb./sj - where did such simple songs go...)

Can't wait for your posting

V_S
7th August 2011, 04:08 AM
App,
What a memorable recollection of your college days. :clap: I can visualize your talks as well. Incidently I was almost in your situation during my 9th/10 std where I have been introduced to MJ. But as you mentioned, I witnessed all the fights between our elder friends between songs of MSV and Raja those days, but those were the times I immediately get to those songs and experience how one faired better than the other, but could not obviously conclude anything, it was way over top of my head. Beautiful times.

app_engine
7th August 2011, 11:02 PM
nanRi, balaji & V_S!

Those were really wonderful times - youth & a measure of freedom :-) In addition, those years in Emerald (4th -8th sem) gave immense opportunities to have "personal time" as well as fantastic companionship with wingmates / hostelmates / yearmates.

The MJ experience was complemented with Radio Australia listening, thanks to another Thanjavur guy (who intro'd 'Eye of the tiger' to me and was a western music freak, you can ask him the details for any popular western # and he knew them all - he was in the other hostel for our year - Sapphire - but we shared a strong rapport - now he lives in the DC area). The international weekly top 20 count down (or ten, I don't clearly remember) on Radio Australia became a must listen.

What more, Raja was at his peak, hitting out hundreds after hundreds!

Times - that will never repeat!

app_engine
7th August 2011, 11:36 PM
#108 காவிரியே கவிக்குயிலே கண்மணியே வா வா
(அடுத்த வாரிசு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0109'&lang=en)

A rocking hit number featuring one of the top on-screen pairs, Rajinikanth-Sridevi and sung by the top duet singer pair! A song whose traces can be seen in songs in other languages, including the 'kaisE kahEn' of new millennium. A song that thrilled all of us with its fantastic percussion arrangements when arrived - one in which Raja showcased some sounds made by his new toys!

One tends to think that SPB got so thrilled to sing this number, going by his enthu :-) It appeared that the producer spent quite some money (by standards of those days) to get portions of this movie shot in a Rajastan palace / lake. This song, as indicated by the motor boat sound in the prelude, was on the lake and was a typical kanavu scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZoe4cG3a7E):lol:

While the album can easily get a top rating (MV's Asai nooRu vagai too occured in this), the movie was so-so and the most disappointing thing for me on screen will be in the next post...

balaji
8th August 2011, 07:31 AM
App-Engine

Compare this with "malli Malli" song from Rakshashadu. Similar start, boat songs, same singers, what a difference in the song, presentation and singing

SPB-SJ-IR are the masters of their profession and they do so well..

Glad we enjoyed music in their best times

Bala

app_engine
8th August 2011, 08:11 PM
Compare this with "malli Malli" song from Rakshashadu.

I'm not yet exposed to this number, will try to search for this and listen to it :-)

My exposure to "IR-north-of-pooviruntha-valli" is very very limited :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th August 2011, 08:24 PM
"malli Malli" song from Rakshashadu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-WFyI5ti-o

What a beautiful song! Nanringo :D

PARAMASHIVAN
8th August 2011, 08:29 PM
(அடுத்த வாரிசு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

:oops: First time, I am hearing this, infact "pEsa koodathu" was the only song I remember from AV, as it was a mokka film, I have not remembered much of the song!

App anna

Continue your marathon :thumbsup:

app_engine
8th August 2011, 08:40 PM
#109 பேசக்கூடாது, வெறும் பேச்சில் சுகம் ஏதுமில்லை
(அடுத்த வாரிசு, 1983 , சுசீலாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0110'&lang=en)

The Rajinikanth-Silukku song on screen :shock:

Let me put a disclaimer - I have nothing personal against Silukku - actually pity her, such a talented person who got totally misguided and killed herself in the end :-( Also, if one resigns to the fact that movies had / have / will have such a character in them anyways, then there's no question that she has no parallel - including most heroines who too tried to do the same thing on screen. So, my irritation was not against a person but the irrelevance of the kind of character she represented to such a great song.

ஆசை கூடாது, மணமாலை கண்டு, சொந்தம் கொண்டு... thus goes the lines with ammA (i.e. akkA of SPB) singing in a very homely way and one expected it to have a kind of scene that fits that. And not a swimming pool number with a call girl - yuck :-(

Well, if one didn't love the song too much prior to going to the theater when released, they may not have such a strong irritation. It was one of those too-much-loved-songs for me when we got the cassette. The very new style of background (possibly the new keyboard that rAsA got at that point of time) including the terrific ending sound were so loved by me and was never tired of listening to this number. (Even now, I hear this song often on drives).

Going by the lyric and the choice of PS, I'm sure IR/SPB/Lyricist/PS didn't build the song for what finally got presented on screen. Perhaps the director too didn't plan it that way but ended up later that way - which can be blamed on disti's.

In any case, fantastic singing by SPB (Ekkam appadiyE izhaiyOdum) with a sharp contrast from PS (mature, disciplined)...

PARAMASHIVAN
8th August 2011, 08:50 PM
Yes, I completley agree about the pEsa koodathu song, I was irritated by such scene as well. I heard the song before seeing the film, and I was totally annoyed by the presentation! The song sounds like sweet innconect romantic duet!

and Like you said PS does sound so much like an "akka" to SPB :)

groucho070
9th August 2011, 08:19 AM
(அடுத்த வாரிசு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்)

:oops: First time, I am hearing this, infact "pEsa koodathu" was the only song I remember from AV, as it was a mokka film, I have not remembered much of the song! Apparently I overestimated you as Rajini and SPB fan. This thread is indeed useful. More app, more!!!

Kaviriye Kavikuyile, to me, is like sequel to O Vasantha Raja...there's something similar.

jaiganes
9th August 2011, 09:22 AM
(அடுத்த வாரிசு, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0109'&lang=en)

A rocking hit number featuring one of the top on-screen pairs, Rajinikanth-Sridevi and sung by the top duet singer pair! A song whose traces can be seen in songs in other languages, including the 'kaisE kahEn' of new millennium. A song that thrilled all of us with its fantastic percussion arrangements when arrived - one in which Raja showcased some sounds made by his new toys!

One tends to think that SPB got so thrilled to sing this number, going by his enthu :-) It appeared that the producer spent quite some money (by standards of those days) to get portions of this movie shot in a Rajastan palace / lake. This song, as indicated by the motor boat sound in the prelude, was on the lake and was a typical kanavu scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZoe4cG3a7E):lol:

While the album can easily get a top rating (MV's Asai nooRu vagai too occured in this), the movie was so-so and the most disappointing thing for me on screen will be in the next post...
This is a rather special song for me. Particular favorite of my daughter who loves the "Sweet heart" portion of the song too much.
The picturisation was also classy (for an AVM kadai movie).
SPB simply eases into the song and Raaja sets up a wonderful arrangement of instrumental portions synth as well as real in perfect balance.
I was doubtful if this song would make it in app's list and was ready mentally to make a plea to include it... So delighted to see App already adding it..
I particularly like the hindi portions in the song "Saiyya more saiyya, Ae dheko Ae dheko... Saiyya more saiyya.. Kaali ghata chaye dekho na, aaa jaaa saiyya ,are mo re saiyya"
How to pack in which akshar in which note without spoiling it - one should learn from Baalugaaru!!! sooper..

app_engine
9th August 2011, 09:52 AM
The picturisation was also classy (for an AVM kadai movie).

jai,
IIRC, the production was done by one "துவாரகீஷ் சித்ரா"...is it an other-lang version of AVM?

Plum
9th August 2011, 12:29 PM
The name Dwarkish Chitra, which also apparently produced nAn adimai illai, reeks of a Kannada smell. Must be a Kannada Production house. Dont think it was AVM's clone

Plum
9th August 2011, 12:55 PM
In the spirit of catching more eye-balls, spamming this thread with a post made in another thread:
(smart strategy, piggy back on app's dedicated fan-base that visits this thread.)
-------

Last song to catch my fancy:
vurukulayi godavari from Abhilasha.
Abhilasha, I have always neglected as a poor cousin of Challenge, what with Yendamuri, Chiranjeevi and the director(whose name I forget) combining yet again.

It doesn't help that the primary memory I took away on first watch were, well, Radhika in tights, Silk-Smitha-ish thigh-cut skirts pop-dancing away with the unruly mop-ped Chirugaaru, with his trademark (weird for non-fans, genius for fans) dancing moves.

Radhika - for all her general acting talent - isn't really my idea of a glamorous pop-star, a role she simulated again for Kannan vandhu paadugindran, thereby spoiling the song for me.

Therefore, I suppose I can be excused for mentally mapping Abhilasha as that album with Chiru-with-his-gymnastic-tricks "banti chamanti" and Radhika-prancing-for "vela paala ledhu"(in tamil SPS crooned this tune as "aadai kondu aadum" for some other movie - not, I think, a remake of this one).

When you assume like that, it is only natural that you end up as what they say happens to you and me when we assume.

So, then, this song shoots like a meteor into my life recently. I have heard it before - just not paid enough attention.
It is a grand number, with wind instruments ruling the roost raising images of wind-surfing on a placid river. One true test of Raja songs for eternal life is what we in this parts have put together as "escalating melody". I am not sure who coined it(I fancy it might have been myself) but it describes the song perfectly.
The grand wind-instrument opening leads to SPB, joyfully, as he only can, crooning the opening lines with mirth and excitement. As Janaki joins with a fitting riposte, SPB moves into heart-warming territory with "...shruti telupe murali", Janaki returns that with interest in "chigurakku...siri muvva ravali".
So far so good. Like a Fed-Nadal point, robust exchanges. Then SPB delivers the knock-out punch with an intoxicating, dreamy "rasa mayam jagathi".

But the real matter lies in the saranams. As I mentioned, it is here that the escalating melody shows up. It is one of those SPB-only-possible moments, as the tune, like a Anil Kumble floater, takes very minor twists and turns, and each turn holding a very subtle emotion. It is far tougher, as countless batsmen from the 90s will agree, to face up to such minor variations than with the big-turning, clearly demarcated emotional roller-coasters.

Thus goes SPB
naa pEdha hridayam // Robust declaration, but a typical lover-ish self-pitying reference to "my poor heart"
nee prema nilayam // "is your playground for Love". Moon-struck offer. The tune is same as previous line but you have to show a shift in the emotion
nAdhaina brathukE E nAdO nIdhainadhi // The subtle breaks SPB uses to punctuate this sentence are breathtaking - nA...dhainA brathukE..pause..E nAdO... is sheer genius at work. ("My life became yours ere long")
neevanna manushE I nAdu nAdhainadhi // Wonder, and joy at the culmination of the love and togetherness.

And here again, SPB has a knock-out punch to finish the stanza:
oka gundE AbhilAshA
padhi mandhikki brathukainadhi.

I just cannot get enough of the last two lines as SPB packs so much into them - I am infact, so broken down in emotion and sheer amazement at the art, that I would need the help of those reading this to listen to the song and help me list down what all SPB covered in those two lines. (suresh, raagas - pls help with links)

Intriguing lines, too. Until now, it is a personal ballad speaking of their love. These lines really raise my curiosity?
oka gundE AbhilAshA
padhi mandhikki brathukainadhi.
- "One heart's desire gave life to 10 people"

Why would it, I mean? Is he referring to the living made by sundal-wallahs, bribe-taking policemen, cinema halls selling tickets etc as among the 10 people who make a living from a heart's desire, as they do benefit from lovers' desire to be together?

Nah! More likely a reference to the film's theme, I guess. Raagas/suresh can throw more light.
Abhilasha is about a young lawyer, trying to highlight a loophole in the law, in a bid to legislate it out of the law-book. He arranges a fake murder, planning, reasonably enough, that he'll go through the legal rigmarole, and eventually, reveal all in the film's climax, thereby exposing the loopholes in the law. Only, the fake murder turns out to be anything but fake and he is forced to be on the run.

Would those lines, then, refer to the hero's desire to abolish this loop-hole in the law, which presumably, would benefit atleast 10 people?
Not really sure, and not really sure why such a sentiment makes its way to a love-duet.

Such, then, are the pleasures of Raja-triggered nostalgia, thought-coordination, and musings.

I'll leave you without a link(which will surely materialise soon if I know my suresh/raagas well enough as I presume I do) but with SPB, bringing his full hand of magic tricks, lapping my ears with wave after wave of the addictive, escalating melody

tvsankar
9th August 2011, 01:30 PM
wat about Telugu SPB and Raja combo nu app kitae kaeka nenachen..u start Plum.lovely song.. lovely write up....

wat abt alli billi kalala raave....

tvsankar
9th August 2011, 01:41 PM
rasa mayam ja ga dhi - ipadi sapce vidanam Plum...
Beautiful and Best Chorus............. so swweeeeeeet........

Plum
9th August 2011, 02:08 PM
ja..ga...thi - yes, Usha, you put it right. The pause between the syllables makes the song.

One reason why I cannot make this a series like app is
a) my inconsistency as a writer - I am more often in writer's block mode than actual writing mode.
b) Unlike app, who encountered the IR-SPB songs linearly in Life, and are punctuated by vivid college memories(not sure whether the music punctuated his college life, or his college life punctuated the IR-SPB magic in his life), my experience of these Telugu songs are primarily aural, in random order through my Life. It is very difficult to put together a coherent narrative.

I'll be sporadic - as usual. But promise when I do post, I will try to cover as much facets of the song as possible including trivia and empty opinions.

Plum
9th August 2011, 02:09 PM
From an archiving perspective, will try to re-post my old Telugu-IR-SPB posts in the forum regularly.

Sureshs65
9th August 2011, 02:25 PM
Plum,

Welcome back. Remember you writing about a Vamshi song like this earlier.

The director of Abhilasha was Kodandarami Reddy. Infact I would say that he, Yendamuri and Raja established Chiranjeevi as the mega star. 'Challenge', 'Abhilasha', 'Kaidhi'(Music not by Raja) are part of Chiru folklore now.

The link to 'Urakalai Godavari': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYLnbDbrtvI

Aditya Music had released a mp3 CD which has both these movies and some more. These two lie in the beginning. I am unable to get beyond these two movie. And like Plum the other songs caught my fancy as they were played more often on radio. Only after I bought the mp3 CD did I start listening to this song and needless to say has become one of my favorites. The way the tune flows is exactly like a river flowing. Should salute the lyricist who came with the words (probably Veturi)

And Plum I am also not able to decipher the lines you wrote which puzzled you. I have not seen the movie.

Plum
9th August 2011, 03:15 PM
The way the tune flows is exactly like a river flowing. Should salute the lyricist who came with the words (probably Veturi
Nicely put.
While I keep harping on Telugu lyrics flowing smoothly off tunes, I fail to note with reverence the lyricists who make this possible. If used incorrectly - like in the -anta songs, usually a staple of dubbed movies - Telugu can be jarring, too, on the ears and tunes.

It's most likely Veturi, as Suresh observed. To introduce him to tamil folks, I can probably mark him as the rough equivalent of Vaali. From my knowledge, most of the songs I appreciate for perfect resonance with tunes are by him.

Suresh, let's hope raagas can decipher the lyrics of the song viz-a-viz the movie situation

app_engine
9th August 2011, 07:05 PM
Wow, nice to see Plum do an excellent, detailed post on a Telungu song!

Now, this thread is really alive, with more contributions!

Please keep them coming - however sporadic they may be.

Actually, that's the best way for thoughts to be poured in. And that's probably the way real writers work.

(To be honest, what app_engine is doing can't be called real "writing"...it's more like "collecting / recollecting & reporting" where there's not much internal struggle / thought process / creativity etc involved. Something like what people in media do, day after day, to make a living :wink:)

PARAMASHIVAN
9th August 2011, 07:13 PM
App anna

I cant seem to find "kaaveriye kavikuyile" video any where on the net ( youtube) if you find it, can you upload it please?

thanks

Plum
9th August 2011, 07:27 PM
Faramu, andha picturisation pudikkal, pudikkal, silk shockernu sollittu youtube link kEkaRInga pArunga - kalaachaara kaavalaraiyya neer!

PARAMASHIVAN
9th August 2011, 07:29 PM
Faramu, andha picturisation pudikkal, pudikkal, silk shockernu sollittu youtube link kEkaRInga pArunga - kalaachaara kaavalaraiyya neer!

annE

Naa keatathu "KaaveriyE kavikuyilE" it was Rajni and Sri Devi, I did not ask "pEsa koodathu"
:banghead:

app_engine
9th August 2011, 07:32 PM
Param,
The boat song's youtube link was there in the original post...

This song, as indicated by the motor boat sound in the prelude, was on the lake and was a typical kanavu scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZoe4cG3a7E):lol:

Please click on the "kanavu scene" which is a hyperlink...

PARAMASHIVAN
9th August 2011, 07:35 PM
Param,
The boat song's youtube link was there in the original post...

Please click on the "kanavu scene" which is a hyperlink...

Thanks anna, I was reading all the posts in a hurry. hence I did not see that:oops:

Thanks

genesis
9th August 2011, 09:40 PM
In the spirit of catching more eye-balls, spamming this thread with a post made in another thread:
(smart strategy, piggy back on app's dedicated fan-base that visits this thread.)

This thread has been come along very well with app and param playing main role. App also trying his best to post the songs in order. You are always welcome to add related telugu song information.. but do not start another branch. It will be better if you can start a new thread for IR-SPB-Telugu combo. This is just a request, as you know it is open forum, you may post as you wish.

Plum
9th August 2011, 10:46 PM
There's no such danger, genesis. It might well be another year before I find enough urge to write the next post in this series. Don't worry, this thread is safe.

app_engine
9th August 2011, 11:27 PM
(switch on Anupam Kher of kuch kuch hOta hai) What do you mean "safe" (switch off Kher) Plum? We want variety here and not safety :-)

Please make it colorful!

Like I said before, I'm a zero when it comes to IR-north-of-poovirundha-valli. You, Sureshji, raagas, balaji are the hope in that geographical domain.

Also, I'm absolutely un-creative when it comes to writing. 'தினமும் சாப்பிடணும், அதுக்கு எதாச்சும் வேணும்'ங்கற மாதிரி தினமும் எதாச்சும் படிக்கவென்று எழுதப்படும் போஸ்ட்கள் .

We need feast too!

One year is not acceptable, solliyAchchu, ambuttuththEn!

V_S
9th August 2011, 11:29 PM
Plum,
You made my day with your awesome post on 'Urakalai Godavari'. :thumbsup: :clap: As I was reading your post, I was in your mode rewinding the song and your post to get enough of it, as I can't listen to the song now. Oh man! what a song and as you rightly pointed out those subtle twists gave us heart full of melody. Every note in that song has full of 'jeevan'. Just humming this song will want to leave all your current commitments (very hectic these days) and dissolve in this one. So many excellent places in pallavi and charanam. Those minute pauses in charanams (everything you mentioned) and the finishing of pallavi with 'rasa mayam ja ga thi' :notworthy: Heavenly heavenly!

Please continue posting your favorites!

V_S
9th August 2011, 11:35 PM
App,
Picking up some enormously beautiful numbers in Kaaviriye Kavikkuyile and Pesakkoodaathu. Yes rocking numbers. Again excellent analysis on SPB vs PS singing in Pesakkoodaathu. :lol: Never thought about it this way until I read your post. Will listen to laugh again!

app_engine
9th August 2011, 11:52 PM
analysis on SPB vs PS singing in Pesakkoodaathu

அப்படி சாத்வீகமா அவங்க பாடினதுக்கு சிலுக்கு போட்டா எப்படி இருக்கும்?

தாங்க முடியல...

BTW, is there any analysis on the list of singers who gave pinnaNikkural for Vijayalakshmi (aka "eppO" Smitha)?

Is there any other PS number for her?

app_engine
10th August 2011, 12:20 AM
#110 உருகினேன் உருகினேன்
(அண்ணே அண்ணே, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0275'&lang=en)

Yet another sweet duet by the celebrated SPB-SJ pair, for a relatively unknown movie. This song was a 'radio-only-hit' along with some DHIRF's recording on their TDKs. Perhaps a mild inspiration for a later-day-IR number for Indiran Chandiran ...the second interlude makes me think so. Here IR uses his favourite "qwakkakukku" sound while kAdhal rAgamum kanniththamizhum had fantastic drums.

IR's use of this "qwakkakukku" sound is quite interesting as he employed it for a variety of songs / situations - fast senO ritA prelude / slow idhu oru nilAkkAlam 2nd interlude / folk andha nilAvaththAn's first interlude etc apart from this soft duet, among many others.

TF traditionally had artists coming from the drama groups. And stories too. If one lists all jAmbavAns of TF until 80's, some connection or other with stage can easily be traced for most names (including the famous Rajini). There was also a steady supply of directors like KB from stage. Late 70's / 80's had a ton of great drama groups and some of them did hilarious comedy stuff. Crazy Mohan, Mouli, SV Sekar, kAthAdi Ramamoorthy - to name a few. There were also serious groups like Poornam, Komal, Visu, YGM. Most of these dramas were also made into movies which helped all these artists to have an innings at TF.

Mouli didn't have any spectacular success in the field but was kind of commercially viable during the 80's, doing low budget movies every now and then, most of them based on his stage plays. His 'vA indhappakkam' had two phenomenal numbers by Shyam ('Anandha dhAgam' by DC/SJ and 'ivaL dEvathai' by SPB/VJ - both my all-time-favs). Somehow, he too landed in the IR bandwagon for this movie - that got named after the huge hit song from kOzhi koovuthu.

Other than vA indhappakkam songs, my fond memory of Mouli (nice -uncle/chithappA looking- guy) is as the apoorva sahOdhararkaL circus owner...he sure got into TF history by being present in one of the most memorable scenes ever - in which Appu gets hurt by his mom's careless remark & the viewers get a severe jolt by IR playing his theme - mmmm...the very remembrance of it brings goosebumps!

V_S
10th August 2011, 12:35 AM
Is there any other PS number for her?
I remember just one song now, Mella Mella Ennai thottu from Vaazhkai. On screen with Raveender. But there should be more songs from other music directors.

app_engine
10th August 2011, 12:58 AM
I remember just one song now, Mella Mella Ennai thottu from Vaazhkai. On screen with Raveender. But there should be more songs from other music directors.

Good catch!

Once again, it's highly likely that this was recorded for the "hero-heroine" (may be for the 2nd hero - 2nd heroine as it was a Sivaji-Ambika movie) but disti's forced the kavarchchikkanni Attam later on...

groucho070
10th August 2011, 06:40 AM
#110 உருகினேன் உருகினேன்
(அண்ணே அண்ணே, 1983 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0275'&lang=en)First charanam was fantastic, the second one was ruined by the so-called disco sound. The wah pedal, though I loved its effect, was not useful here. Could have maintained the same tune as the first.

Plum
10th August 2011, 11:07 AM
app, chattila irukkaRachE dhAn agappaila varum. chatti gets filled about once in a year, what to do?
V_S - yes, that's the thing with vurakalai godavari. You get humming the song, and you cannot get enough. This is, infact, a stick that IR gets beat with - that, for instance, you'd never get a nandhaa en nilaa from him(meaning, hummability, addictive phrasaes that you just want to keep singing again and again once you start). To a large extent, it is because of his strittu WCM theories, and the impulse to fit his tunes in a chord progression - something that got pronounced more and more in his latter days. Even within that, you will find countless songs like this which are as addictive as the MSV-Dhakshinamoorty-KVM-GR addictive tunes.

Plum
10th August 2011, 11:08 AM
I just discovered uruginEn kannane last week. Havent given a close listen yet but from the surface, the base tune, and the first interlude were super.

groucho070
10th August 2011, 11:26 AM
The movie was not bad, funny. I used to confuse this with PoikkAl Kuthirai. Same hero methinks.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 03:34 PM
There's no such danger, genesis. It might well be another year before I find enough urge to write the next post in this series. Don't worry, this thread is safe.

Pls write up regarding IR+SPB telugu songs, Apart from Shankaraparanam, I have not heard any telugu songs, I can not understand telugu either, so it would be usefull!

//

Apeesla Andhra Figure onnu vela seiyuranga, avangala venumna keatu konjum Telugu songs
post panrEn :lol2: //

Plum
10th August 2011, 04:00 PM
Apeesla Andhra Figure onnu vela seiyuranga, avangala venumna keatu konjum Telugu songs
post panrEn
nInga vaNdi Otta, enga kitta fuel kEkkaRInga. bEsh bEsh!

Raagas has written a lovely post in the Raja's gems thread. adhai pArththu, padichu, kadalai pOdaRadhukku use paNNikOnga

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 04:04 PM
nInga vaNdi Otta, enga kitta fuel kEkkaRInga. bEsh bEsh!

Raagas has written a lovely post in the Raja's gems thread. adhai pArththu, padichu, kadalai pOdaRadhukku use paNNikOnga

Nandri Plam annan avargalE

Nool vidurathuku nalla idea :lol2: :yessir:

app_engine
10th August 2011, 06:22 PM
In 1983, alphabetic order of movie names brings 'baghavathipuram rly gate' as the next one having SPB song (Asai nenjil) which cannot be picked for this thread as I've never heard before.

That means, the next song will be an extraordinary one...a song beyond compare...

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 07:06 PM
That means, the next song will be an extraordinary one...a song beyond compare...

From the same movie ??

V_S
10th August 2011, 07:23 PM
The movie was not bad, funny. I used to confuse this with PoikkAl Kuthirai. Same hero methinks.
grouch,
What a coincidence! Good that App brought up Mouli in his post. Thanks App. Yesterday when App posted about this song, I too got reminded of Poikkal Kuthirai, not sure why. But for a different reason, Mouli. I always thought Poikkal Kuthirai had Mouli, but since I watched during my school days in some theatre in Mount Road. I think in Anand or Little Anand (now these theatres are not there) or Casino/Geity. Loved that picture that time. Vaali, even Kamal comes as a cameo. But after browsing came to know there was no Mouli. I watch Nadaswaram in sun tv just because of him. Great Artist.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 07:50 PM
who acted in poikal kuthirai :)

app_engine
10th August 2011, 08:14 PM
From the same movie ??

nop...it's from the second movie of Motherland Pictures :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 08:23 PM
nop...it's from the second movie of Motherland Pictures :-)

Sagara Sangamam ? as in Salangai Oli ?

Plum
10th August 2011, 08:33 PM
naan paadum paadal?
udhaya geetham? sangeetha megam?
idhaya kovil?

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 08:41 PM
naan paadum paadal?
idhaya kovil?

I think Salangai Oli was released prior to all these.

Idhaya kovil beauties

1) yaar veetil roja poo poothathO- ( Only SPB possible) , it has all kind of emotions emoted by the master! you can hear this song 1000 times
2) Kootathila koyil pura - another semi Melody/Classic master piece from the lethal combo of (IR+SPB)
3) Vaan uyarntha solaiyilE - sadness at it's best. (it makes me cry, when I listen to this), those birds sounds in the song gives extra sad effect!
4) Idhayam oru kovil - I did not like this song that much, I thought it ha d a monotonous tabla beat throughout the song :oops:

V_S
10th August 2011, 08:48 PM
who acted in poikal kuthirai :)
Ramakrishnan, Ravindar, Viji, lyricist Vaali, Charlie and cameo by Kamalhaasan. Written by crazy mohan and directed by K Balachandar.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 08:52 PM
Ramakrishnan, Ravindar, Viji, lyricist Vaali, Charlie and cameo by Kamalhaasan. Written by crazy mohan and directed by K Balachandar.

Thanks Vs , aana enaku ivanga ellam yaarendrE theriyathu :oops:

app_engine
10th August 2011, 09:09 PM
naan paadum paadal?
idhaya kovil?

nAn pAdum pAdal was Motherland Pictures' 3rd movie, there is one prior - the heroini shares her name with a popular char in TN politics :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 09:13 PM
nAn pAdum pAdal was Motherland Pictures' 3rd movie, there is one prior - the heroini shares her name with a popular char in TN politics :wink:

Malayoor Mambattiyan ??

app_engine
10th August 2011, 09:17 PM
Malayoor Mambattiyan ??

Saritha appadeennu yArAchchum TN politics-la irukkAngaLA? :roll:

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 09:21 PM
Saritha appadeennu yArAchchum TN politics-la irukkAngaLA? :roll:

Senthil da muthul padam nu soneenga , athuku thaan sonNen :oops:

app_engine
10th August 2011, 09:31 PM
Senthil da muthul padam nu soneenga , athuku thaan sonNen :oops:

I corrected the Sendhil reference as wiki says he is in the field since 1979...

ok, let me tell the heroini name before posting about the song - Sasikala :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
10th August 2011, 09:35 PM
Sasikala :lol2:

Illamai kalangal :lol2:

app_engine
10th August 2011, 10:57 PM
#111 இசை மேடையில், இந்த வேளையில், சுபராகம் பொழியும்!
இளமை நெருக்கம், இருந்தும் தயக்கம்!
(இளமைக்காலங்கள், 1983 , ஜானகியுடன், வைரமுத்து பாடல்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1083'&lang=en)

"I got sunshine on a cloudy day, when it's cold outside I got the month of May" - so goes the famous "My girl" song that has a number of versions, including one by Michael Jackson. Exactly the same feelings whenever / wherever I hear this song - a song too close to me personally! (Interestingly, there's a line in this lyric too - "நெஞ்சுக்குள்ளே தீ இருந்தும் மேனி எங்கும் பூ வசந்தம்", what a sweet way VM puts such inexplicable feelings!)

I cannot hear this song emanating out of a shop / bus / home / anywhere / any source and still continue with what activtiy I was doing prior. Everything has to stop until the song is over! The aaaaa-Ah-aa-Ah starting by SJ with the vocal harmony sends a chill thru out my body instantaneously and it lasts for a few seconds until I get into a trance. From which I can come out only when the song is over!

SPB, the perfect partner for SJ, thoroughly immerses himself as a bee would into a nectar-rich-blossom! The chorus adds to the spendor. And rAsA, oh what a sweet rAsA here! Right from the superb sound in the prelude that gets repeated after SJ sings the first line, he simply does to us what a most loved companion would do to the mate! (Details left to one's imagination :wink:)

Well, the disc came out months before the movie was made. I cannot say for sure whether it had Manivannan's name in it or R Sundarrajan but it was reported that the original director had some issues after the album got released and Manivannan was brought in. His job was to build a story "around the songs" that were already a big hit. He did a fairly decent job, even though the child singing 'eeramAna rOjAvE' was looking funny on screen.

That college riot scene was quite terrific and there was nothing like that seen before. It was the most impressive scene to the big group of students who watched the movie in a Trichy theater together. ("மாணவர் தலைவனை அடித்த ப்ரின்சீபால் ஒழிக" is still etched in my mind and was often quoted thru out college life & always out of context!). The Sendhil office comedy was quite good too!

On a personal front, if one asks me to choose between this & 'pAda vandhadhO gAnam' as the most fav, I'll struggle.

OTOH, the choice won't be that difficult when most other TFM duets get presented as competition :-)

app_engine
10th August 2011, 11:08 PM
isai mEdaiyil lyrics :

pallavi:

இசை மேடையில், இந்த வேளையில், சுபராகம் பொழியும்!
இளமை நெருக்கம், இருந்தும் தயக்கம்!

saraNam 1:

முத்தம் தரும் ஈரம் பதிந்திருக்கும்
முல்லை இளம் பூவெடுத்து முகம் துடைக்கும்
நெஞ்சுக்குள்ளே தீ இருந்தும் மேனியெங்கும் பூ வசந்தம்
கன்னிக்கரும்பு உன்னை எண்ணிச்சாறாகும்

saraNam 2:

கன்னிமகள் கூந்தல் கலைந்திருக்க
வந்து தொடும் உன் கைகள் வகிடெடுக்க
போதை கொண்டு பூ அழைக்க தேடிவந்து தேனெடுக்க
தங்கக் கொழுந்து தொட்டவுடன் பூவாக

app_engine
10th August 2011, 11:12 PM
isai mEdaiyil youtube (quite ordinary though not too much irritating):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGxXI84o7oM

V_S
11th August 2011, 04:31 AM
App,
Terrific post and one of your best in this series for a well deserved song. :thumbsup: I can just sing the song as you have provided the lyrics (and also feel the orchestration) to get what you have felt about this song. Sila IR paadalgal appadiye music'um koodave varum during our singing, as well as to unintentionally stop our singing (and hum the ludes) till the ludes finishes :wink: This song belong to that category.

One another important information you have shared which I never heard before. "His job was to build a story "around the songs" that were already a big hit." :lol: So since the songs were already composed (which is usual), but were already a hit, so they need to finalize a story based on the songs? :smile:

rajeshkrv
11th August 2011, 05:51 AM
Music Director sharath & M.G.Sreekumar singing Amma endrazhaikatha uyirillaiye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tsQ3FQK9N0c

Sureshs65
11th August 2011, 02:30 PM
app,

Superb song. My wife's favorite as well. I generally use this song as an example of how Raja's aesthetics. The song is nominally based on ragam Kanada but Raja nowhere shows the ragam explicitly. No one will even think of ragam when this song is played. As you said, the lyrics of VM are terrific as well. I love the second charanam as lot. As you said, this song belongs to 'drop what you are doing and listen to it now' category.

PARAMASHIVAN
11th August 2011, 03:09 PM
App anna

Eramana RojavE from the same movie also a very good song! Nice thaalattu pattu :)

app_engine
11th August 2011, 04:38 PM
nanRi V_S & Sureshji!

Very memorable song which happened during my 'iLamaikkAlam' :-)

App anna

Eramana RojavE from the same movie also a very good song! Nice thaalattu pattu :)

Nice song, but not a thAlAttu :-)

Also, I struggle to put away from the mind the reference to Archimedes principle :lol:

app_engine
11th August 2011, 10:50 PM
#112 தாழம்பூவே கண்ணுறங்கு
(இன்று நீ நாளை நான், 1983, ஜானகி & உமா ரமணனுடன் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1136'&lang=en)

I don't think we catalogued any Sivakumar / SPB / IR number in the 80's so far. The actor who was in IR's debut movie and also later showed faces for the first IR/SPB number went dry for 3 years before he got them back. In a big hit movie directed by Major. Based on the story that appeared in a monthly paperback novel.

(IIRC, it was Kumudam publications' mAlai mathi that featured this story among its 'idhu varai veLi varAtha puthiya novel' series. IIDNRC, it was a Ranimuthu thingy. Those days I was so fond of mAlai mathi, it featured Sujatha classics such as 'ethaiyum oru muRai', 'marupadiyum Ganesh'. Also, I remember very well the 'araLippoo mEl Asai vaiththu' by Anuradha Ramanan, very interesting story, portions of which were used (suttufied?) for sindhu bhairavi by KB)

I think the actresses were Sulakshana as wife of hero and Lakshmi as her elder sis or OrppadiyA & wife / widow of a drunkard who cannot give her a child. So, she ends up committing adultery with the b-i-l to lead to a tragic end.

This is perhaps the song where all three (man, wife and the kid's periyammA) do thAlAttu to the baby. thAlAttu being IR's fav area, that too when his creative juices were overflowing, this song should have typically taken him seconds to compose. And what a glittering array of SJ numbers to go along in that album - pon vAnam panneer thoovuthu innEram solo & mottu vitta mullakkodi duet with SPS! Album memorable for SJ, where SPB also existed.

There seems to be another two songs in the album by SPB. Those don't immediately play in my mind when I see the names. Should give a listen and then decide whether those should be featured here or not in the coming days. For sure, these three (mottu vitta, pon vAnam & thAzham poovE) played regularly on radios / cassette players. Obviously, pon vAnam is the most popular of them all - to this day!

San_K
11th August 2011, 11:03 PM
app, a small doubt. you missed or ignored 'Vaa Ponmayile (Poonthalir)' song? Or I missed?

app_engine
11th August 2011, 11:06 PM
app, a small doubt. you missed or ignored 'Vaa Ponmayile (Poonthalir)' song? Or I missed?

ingE irukku :

#034 vA pon mayilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=691010&viewfull=1#post691010)

San_K
11th August 2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks, one of my most fav song :)

app_engine
11th August 2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks, one of my most fav song :)

yw, San_K, catch me by collar if I have missed any important number between 1976 & 1982 -years that have been completed in this exercise.

I'll hurry to include suchlike ones.

BTW, 1983 has a lot more gems to come...

V_S
12th August 2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks App for picking up a superb song for afternoon. A song that would put you to sleep immediately. Don't want to listen now and go to sleep :wink:. Will reserve for tonight.
I didn't know the story of the film, but your one-liner said it beautifully. But somewhat the title makes us guess.:smile:

groucho070
12th August 2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah, V_S, mouli thing is confusing. I like him too.
Ramakrishnan, Ravindar, Viji, lyricist Vaali, Charlie and cameo by Kamalhaasan. Written by crazy mohan and directed by K Balachandar.Crazy-AAA :shock: No wonder. So, we can safely say that this is first Kamal/Crazy venture? Albeit Kamal had about, what, 5 or 6 hillarious scenes, especially the last one :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
12th August 2011, 03:27 PM
App anna

what does "OrppadiyA " mean ? :roll:

Plum
12th August 2011, 03:32 PM
nInga EdhO rhyming word-ai nenachikittu EdAgUdamA kEkkaRIngannu nenaikkaREn.
It simply means wife of a female's husband's brother. avLo dhAn. Karpanaiya vaLarkAdhInga.

PARAMASHIVAN
12th August 2011, 04:35 PM
nInga EdhO rhyming word-ai nenachikittu EdAgUdamA kEkkaRIngannu nenaikkaREn.
It simply means wife of a female's husband's brother. avLo dhAn. Karpanaiya vaLarkAdhInga.

Appadi onnum illa, Naa tamil padikala, as I grew up in England, I never got a chance to learn tamil. That is why I still dont know the meaning of some tamil words :oops:

Plum
12th August 2011, 04:53 PM
Just fulling your leg, faramu.