PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

app_engine
30th June 2011, 06:53 PM
Suresh65 wrote about it in detail in his blog and linked it here a few days back.

Oh, we don't even need google for this, Sureshji has the blog in his signature :-)

http://sureshs65music.blogspot.com/2008/10/yugandhar-music-which-passed-me-by.html

Param,
With the kind of output & thrill that SPB-IR have provided us over the years, the job is so simple to get a 1000+ posts in this forum. I don't merit any credits, seriously :-)

app_engine
30th June 2011, 07:44 PM
This westerner's review of some IR songs (http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/6526) got posted in the titbits thread.

Interesting to see some of the songs that we've discussed about during the last few weeks :-) Surprising to see even 'nAn thAngoppandA' being mentioned :lol:

Long before Rahman emerged upon the scene, music director Ilaiyaraaja ruled the Tamil roost. To date, he has scored over 950 films not only for the Tamil market but also for Kannada, Malayalam and Telugu cinemas. Some of his most rollicking work between 1977 and 1983 is included on “Solla Solla.”

On this collection, rock and hi-hat/conga-heavy funk rhythms augmented with horns and early synth flourishes take a more prominent role than the ostentatious string arrangements of Bollywood. But at the same time, the masterful nuances displayed in the performances of singers like S. Janaki and the legendary S.P. Balasubrahmanyum suggests a robust connection to southern Indian classical vocal music. What might seem like a typical 1970s dancefloor-bomber subtly reveals itself as treatise in traditional vocal raag – as is the case with Balasubrahmanyam’s extraordinary timbral control over the modal funk of the title track and the frenzied “Vaa! Naailukku Naall."

From the first listen, it’s evident at least among these tunes that Ilayaraaja was far more liberal in his assimilation of western instrumentation, kitchen-sink arrangements and structures than many of his Hindi film contemporaries. “Raja Rani Jaakki” starts with a proggy bit that might not sound too out of place in a Van Der Graaf Generator leftover, before a vaguely Motown bassline/flute figure takes over, giving way to a much more traditional tabla interlude. Despite its title, “Disco Sound,” crooned mostly in English, evokes Blood Sweat and Tears (albeit with a scandalously breathy female vocal intro and weird - but equally lascivious - spoken interlude). Zippy, fuzzed-out slide guitar and synth drum fills drive the bouncy “Naanthaan Ungappanda,” which finds Balasubrahmanyam dipping into a throaty Satchmo register.

The shimmering synth intro of “Thithikkum” preludes a stomper driven by slashing wah-wah guitar and fuzzed-out organ swells. Sample English lyric (for which the Maestro gets an ‘A’ for effort): “Baby, shake it baby...I need you/I want to hold you tight/when you are in my arms I feel high...” “One and Two Chachacha” switches gears abruptly from, in fact, a sitar-seasoned midtempo cha-cha to a south-Indian bhajan-inflected interlude. “Kanavu Ondru” offers up a more introspective melody sung by S. Janaki over cyclical rhythms, space-age synths, piano, tabla and strings. The album closer, “Aadal Paadalil” pulls out any remaining stops, with a left-field take on big-band swing punctuated by thunderous percussion and rhythmic, basso profundo vocals.

PARAMASHIVAN
30th June 2011, 07:50 PM
Param,
With the kind of output & thrill that SPB-IR have provided us over the years, the job is so simple to get a 1000+ posts in this forum. I don't merit any credits, seriously :-)

True , but still you are doing a splendid Job :notworthy:

app_engine
30th June 2011, 08:25 PM
#70 இளங்கிளியே இன்னும் விளங்கலியே
(சங்கர்லால், 1981 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3226'&lang=en)

A song that can instantly lift up the mood!

Right from the prelude, it has mirth written all-over and one cannot help but get delighted! Raja must have been in a really happy state of mind when composing this and SPB-SJ share the same disposition, along with the orchestra :-) Unintentional humor -by way of SJ's English- too is present (as in the case of another KH-SD / SPB-SJ number, the 'paRanthAlum vida mAttEn').

Sankarlal is one of those rare cases where IR shared music credits with another person for a movie. (Gangai Amaran). I think it was something like "each one scoring for a portion of the movie" - unlike the 'mellaththiRandhadhu kadhavu' model where IR & MSV sat together for composition. Not that IR-GA didn't sit together those days for songs as GA penned lyrics for a lot of them, played instruments in the orchestra etc. Just technically speaking - it wasn't a case of joint composition but rather "splitting" of respo. (The reason why it was so is not known to me, some KH-fanatics may know the reason).

The director was T N Balu, who earlier did uyarndhavarkaL & sattam en kaiyil with Kamal (iRaivan iraNdu bommaigaL seythAn & sorgam madhuvilE immediately come to mind). IIRC, he died before the movie was complete and someone else released it. (googled to verify my memory and wikipedia says Kamal himself completed it. It claims shankarlal was KH's first directorial attempt :wink: KH-anudhabees may frown at it because the movie was termed dumb and a disaster as well).

SPB, in top form, as usual!

PARAMASHIVAN
30th June 2011, 08:31 PM
App anna

In the above song, I think there were few lines where SPB sings "Hello my beauty, dont be so naughty, I am your sweety" some thing like that Hilarious :rotfl:

V_S
30th June 2011, 08:42 PM
Superb post App! :clap: Beautiful song. Lot of insights and information. You are a film encyclopedia!

PARAMASHIVAN
30th June 2011, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0a_ep4xGhE&feature=player_embedded

app_engine
30th June 2011, 09:05 PM
நன்றி v_s!

'கலைக்களஞ்சியம்' எல்லாம் ஒன்னும் இல்லீங்க..நம்ம அறிவு ரொம்பக்குறைவு, 'ராஜாவின் அரண்மனை'க்குள்ள மட்டும் தான் நம்ம விவரம். அதுவும் எழுபதுகளின் பிற்பாதி மற்றும் எண்பதுகளின் முற்பாதி.

மற்றபடி சுத்தம். இங்க ஹப்'ல வந்து கேட்டறிந்தவை மட்டுமே :-)

Divine22
1st July 2011, 07:04 AM
#67 விழியில் உன் விழியில்
(ராம் லட்சுமண், 1981 , சுசீலாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3018'&lang=en)

Sticking to the IR/Devar films tradition, a Suseela-SPB duet. The best in the album IMO, it hasn't lost the appeal - not a bit - from the time of arrival till now! A guitar sweety, both the prelude and first interlude have so-good-to-ears-guitar sounds. And the dham-dham-dham-dham is quite interesting as well.

It was regular on radios and part of people's 'recording center requests' which was becoming more and more common around this time period as cassette players were becoming more affordable. It was however, mostly imported brands only still (Panasonic the leader) and were available from burma bazaar kind of shops or 'gulf-return' 'ceylon-return' kind of people. The regular electronic shops were still mostly selling only radios and record players. Cassette-decks were also available (from brands like Ahuja which was popular in the public address arena) but not much favoured by households.

Hi

Definitely this is the most famous number in the movie, Sweet & energetic singing by SPB as always! Long before i saw the movie, I thought Ram-Laxman is Kamal in dual roles, didnt know it was the elephant (Laxman).Duh! cant recall what was the entire story was about, I am never a fan for movies such as these, with elephants,dogs, monkeys & stuff. But nevertheless its an enjoyable song though,

KH & Sripriya make one of the best pair in the 80's, KH & Sridevi too make a lovely pair. Sri priya & devi complimented KH vr well as pairs. I read some where that Sri priya & Sri devi has done 27 movies each with KH !

groucho070
1st July 2011, 07:10 AM
App, thanks for the vellaikkaran writeup link. "Balasubrahmanyam dipping into a throaty Satchmo register". For the benefit of those who don't know. Satchmo = Louis Armstrong. Yes he of "What a wonderful world" fame.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st July 2011, 03:31 PM
App, thanks for the vellaikkaran writeup link. "Balasubrahmanyam dipping into a throaty Satchmo register". For the benefit of those who don't know. Satchmo = Louis Armstrong. Yes he of "What a wonderful world" fame.

Enna solla vareenga puriyala :confused2:

groucho070
1st July 2011, 03:36 PM
The article talked about SPB doing a satchmo. Satchmo is Louis Armstrong's pet name. Louis Armstrong was a terrific trumpet player (jazz), but he occasionally sings. And he has that gravelly voice that SPB sometimes does. Check him out in youtube. Especially that song, "What a wonderful world", which most people know.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st July 2011, 03:42 PM
The article talked about SPB doing a satchmo. Satchmo is Louis Armstrong's pet name. Louis Armstrong was a terrific trumpet player (jazz), but he occasionally sings. And he has that gravelly voice that SPB sometimes does. Check him out in youtube. Especially that song, "What a wonderful world", which most people know.

Oh OK, yes I have heard the song " What a wonderfull world" ! :)

KV
1st July 2011, 06:32 PM
App, thanks again for all the tidbits. About Shankarlal and its sharing of music credit, has this been recorded in any of the LP or tape covers/magazines/websites?
I'm a huge fan of Paadhikannil Mayakkam - one bloody riot of a song, kickass instumentation and awesome singing by SJ and KH (love all those little bits... jana-kicku, sabaas da thambi ganesa).

app_engine
1st July 2011, 06:50 PM
About Shankarlal and its sharing of music credit, has this been recorded in any of the LP or tape covers/magazines/websites?

Unfortunately, my exposure to iLangiLiyE was only thru radio & buses :-) Never seen the disk so cannot explicitly tell which were done by GA. IOKS definitely announced that iLangiLiyE was by IR (and the song's orch / feel confirms that to me as well). I really don't know about other songs. IIRC, 'kasthoori mAn' was credited to GA by radio stations.

KV
1st July 2011, 07:02 PM
The superb blending of a carnatic ragam (chala naatai?) for a peppy tune and unexpected veena bits makes me want to believe that this one's by annan. But we really cant say, Amar, in spite of being 'influenced' many a times, could have thrown this surprise.

app_engine
1st July 2011, 08:55 PM
#71 அந்தி மழை பொழிகிறது, ஒவ்வொரு துளியிலும் உன் முகம் தெரிகிறது
(ராஜ பார்வை, 1981 , ஜானகி & டி வி கோபாலகிருஷ்ணன் உடன் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3059'&lang=en)

Vairamuthu explained the lines in the pallavi as "இந்திரன் வீரிய மிக்கவன். முந்திரியும் வீரிய மிக்கது. அப்போ இந்திரன் தோட்டத்து முந்திரிக்கு எவ்வளவு வீரியம் இருக்கும்? " :-) With that kind of background came this stunner in Kamal's 100th movie. As later ridiculed by some of my collegemates, what VM intended for the boy to sing as ' ragasiya rAththiri pushtham' was given to Janaki and vice-versa by one of the culprits - IR / KH / Singeetham and ended up as a comedy. However, during the +2 days of its arrival, we lapped the lines up and were so thrilled with the song.

That apart, what a song! The mridhangam - whenever IR chose to use it in a song (obviously he did very selectively), the effect was stunning! Add TVG's voice AlAp backed up by tablA and judicious use of drums - terrific concoction. As the movie was about a violinist, free-flowing violin sounds were a given. SPB & SJ singing with passion / emotion a sweet melody made this song evergreen!

I remember Sujatha writing about 'one nice evening with Kamal' when he was privately show-cased that panthuvaraLi instrumental special from the movie. If someone can find that Kumudam article somewhere in the world, please, please, post it here or give a link. It's worth gold / platinum / diamond! I had that piece recorded in a number of cassettes and it was a regular walk-man listen for years! (Don't have it at present, high time I search the web around for that. That violinist / chitraveeNa combo on jaya TV is an appreciable effort but with the original strongly etched in my mind, couldn't appreciate to the point of clapping. It's possible GA had a feeling like mine...chinnappasanga, nallA irukkattum).

Like I mentioned before, rAjapArvai is among a few rare cases of me liking a movie that flopped. (I fancy myself to be a front-bench TN-er in movie appreciation). Recently visited portions of it on the web and was full of pullarips / tears! KH :thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
1st July 2011, 08:59 PM
App anna

What does வீரியம் mean ?

PARAMASHIVAN
1st July 2011, 09:01 PM
By the way

The aaaaaaa bit in "Anthi mazhai" song was done by SPB or IR ??

app_engine
1st July 2011, 09:08 PM
By the way

The aaaaaaa bit in "Anthi mazhai" song was done by SPB or IR ??

T V Gopalakrishnan - Indian classical music teacher for IR :-)

app_engine
1st July 2011, 09:10 PM
App anna

What does வீரியம் mean ?

potent (word with double meaning, please google it)

PARAMASHIVAN
1st July 2011, 09:14 PM
potent (word with double meaning, please google it)

I know the meaning of the English word, no need for google , Thanks any way :)

Oh BTW , I have sent a PM to you, when u have the time pls go through , it thanks :)

PARAMASHIVAN
1st July 2011, 09:15 PM
T V Gopalakrishnan - Indian classical music teacher for IR :-)

Thank you! , he sounded so much like IR, hence my doubt :)

app_engine
1st July 2011, 09:18 PM
ஆச்சு, ஒரு மாதிரி சுத்தி வளைச்சு வெள்ளிக்கிழமைக்கு "மற்ற" பாட்டுப்போட்டாச்சு :wink:

genesis
1st July 2011, 10:23 PM
App - Thanks for accommodating my request and posting this song on Friday. This is one of the rare tamil song that's more about "Kaamam" less about "Kaathal", but not vulgar. The other one I can recall is "Raaththiriyil Pooththirukkum" from Thanga Magan.

There was some discussion on the lyrics about 1 year back..... you can read them here: http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?7868-IR-Compositions-Lyrics-and-Situation&p=483222&viewfull=1#post483222

App - Wikipedia says VM has 5 National awards, latest one in 2011 (Most for any lyricist in India). The only one he got working with IR was the exact reason why they got separated. I would just like to leave it there.

Sureshs65
1st July 2011, 11:00 PM
app,

The prelude and the mini chorus before the prelude is enough to provide immortality to this song. Everything else is a bonus. Stunner, no doubt.

rajkumarc
2nd July 2011, 01:43 AM
Super pick App for Fri :smile:

Beautiful visuals for Andhi Malai song. With Suresh on the prelude, it's so arresting and you can't be distracted till the whole song ends.

skr
2nd July 2011, 11:27 AM
App,
Thanks for the wonderful write up on Raaja Paarvai - One of the best musicals ever created on celluloid ..

Divine22
2nd July 2011, 12:35 PM
#71 அந்தி மழை பொழிகிறது, ஒவ்வொரு துளியிலும் உன் முகம் தெரிகிறது
(ராஜ பார்வை, 1981 , ஜானகி & டி வி கோபாலகிருஷ்ணன் உடன் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3059'&lang=en)

Vairamuthu explained the lines in the pallavi as "இந்திரன் வீரிய மிக்கவன். முந்திரியும் வீரிய மிக்கது. அப்போ இந்திரன் தோட்டத்து முந்திரிக்கு எவ்வளவு வீரியம் இருக்கும்? " :-) With that kind of background came this stunner in Kamal's 100th movie. As later ridiculed by some of my collegemates, what VM intended for the boy to sing as ' ragasiya rAththiri pushtham' was given to Janaki and vice-versa by one of the culprits - IR / KH / Singeetham and ended up as a comedy. However, during the +2 days of its arrival, we lapped the lines up and were so thrilled with the song.

That apart, what a song! The mridhangam - whenever IR chose to use it in a song (obviously he did very selectively), the effect was stunning! Add TVG's voice AlAp backed up by tablA and judicious use of drums - terrific concoction. As the movie was about a violinist, free-flowing violin sounds were a given. SPB & SJ singing with passion / emotion a sweet melody made this song evergreen!

I remember Sujatha writing about 'one nice evening with Kamal' when he was privately show-cased that panthuvaraLi instrumental special from the movie. If someone can find that Kumudam article somewhere in the world, please, please, post it here or give a link. It's worth gold / platinum / diamond! I had that piece recorded in a number of cassettes and it was a regular walk-man listen for years! (Don't have it at present, high time I search the web around for that. That violinist / chitraveeNa combo on jaya TV is an appreciable effort but with the original strongly etched in my mind, couldn't appreciate to the point of clapping. It's possible GA had a feeling like mine...chinnappasanga, nallA irukkattum).

Like I mentioned before, rAjapArvai is among a few rare cases of me liking a movie that flopped. (I fancy myself to be a front-bench TN-er in movie appreciation). Recently visited portions of it on the web and was full of pullarips / tears! KH :thumbsup:

What an immortal song !!!!!

After listening to it for umpteen times,the love for the song is strongly rooted and its growing each time listening to this master piece,
What a feeling it gives, beyond the best words I could find, ahahaha,,,the starting chorus...and the aalaap...the preludes...my my....
Feels like a late evening rain showering on me,,, violins,piano,miruthangam,chorus...its a like an honey well.

பாட்டில் இழையோடி இருக்கும் அந்த உணர்ச்சி பெருக்கு, காதலுக்கும் ,,அதையும் தாண்டி ஒரு சராசரி ஆணும் பெண்ணும் பிறக்கும் அந்த இயற்கையான ஈர்ப்பையும் ரொம்ப அழகா தங்களோட குரல்ல வெளிப்படுத்தி இருக்காங்க the GREATS SPB & SJ !!!!
SPB அவர்களின் குரல்ல கொஞ்சும் அந்த விரகதாபம்,,அதை வெளிப்படுத்தும் அழகான பாடல் வரிகள்! சற்று மெலோ டிராமடிக் ஆனா வரிகளாக இருந்தாலும், அந்த மாதிரி சூழ்நிலையில் உள்ள ஒரு ஆண் & பெண்ணோட உணர்வுகளை இவ்வளவு அழகா அத கொச்சைப்படுத்தாமல் சொன்னது கவிதை ! கண்ணீரையே வர வைக்க கூடிய சக்தி உள்ள பாட்டு. நானும் இந்த அந்தி மழையில் கொஞ்சம் மூழ்கி திளைக்கிறேன். I dearly love the lyrics too...

அந்தி மழை பொழிகிறது
ஒவ்வொரு துளியிலும் உன் முகம் தெரிகிறது
இந்திரன் தோட்டத்து முந்திரியே
மன்மத நாட்டுக்கு மந்திரியே

தேனில் வண்டு மூழ்கும்போது
பாவம் என்று வந்தாள் மாது
நெஞ்சுக்குள் தீயை வைத்து மோகம் என்பாய்
தண்ணீரில் மூழ்கி கொண்டே தாகம் என்பாய்
தனிமையிலே றுமையிலே
எத்தனை நாளடி இள மயிலே
கெட்டன இரவுகள் சுட்டன கனவுகள்
இமைகளும் சுமையடி இளமையிலே
(அந்தி மழை பொழிகிறது)

தேகம் யாவும் தீயின் தாகம்
தாகம் தீர நீ தான் மேகம்
கண்ணுக்குள் முள்ளை வைத்து யார் தைத்தது?
தண்ணீரில் நிற்கும்போதே வேர்கின்றது
நெஞ்சு பொறு, கொஞ்சம் இரு
தாவணி விசிரிகள் வீசுகிறேன்
மன்மத அம்புகள் தைத்த இடங்களில்
சந்தனமாய் எனை பூசுகிறேன்
சிப்பியில் தப்பிய நித்திலமே
ரகசிய ராத்திரி புத்தகமே
(அந்தி மழை பொழிகிறது)

What is the instrument that's playing between 03.21-03.30 of the song ?

Thank You App!

p/s: sorry for the long post, Good Day.

app_engine
2nd July 2011, 08:57 PM
Divine22,

Please post long, we appreciate your detailed views :-)

The instrument that goes along with the conventional strings seems to be an electronic toy (perhaps the new keyboard /synth that IR got at that point of time) :-)

app_engine
3rd July 2011, 12:08 AM
#72 பேசு, என் அன்பே! உன் அன்பை என்னென்பேன் !
(விடியும் வரை காத்திரு, 1981 , சசிரேகா & ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4059'&lang=en)

It's quite an interesting song with two female singers for two women shown on screen & SPB for K Backiaraj. Sasireka sings for the girl on phone while SPS croons for the mentally ill wife (and that's why all those 'yEi, ooi, bayanthuttiyA' kind of sounds). A not-so-succesful thriller movie made by Backiaraj (probably to prove that he was the mastermind behind Sigappu RojAkkaL). In any case, the first IR-SPB song for Backiaraj which had decent air time and was among the "collector's items" for those who went to recording shops with he burma bazar TDK cassettes. Occasionally also heard on buses. Not a big hit neither a totally neglected / forgotten one. Has youtube & otherwise presence today on the web.

I remember watching this movie in one of those parithAba theaters on Trichy-Tanjore road between Senthanneerpuram tolgate and Thuvakkudi. so-so movie with KB as the hero / villain and Black belt as police. The most talked about scene of jumping out of the train to kill wife was quite interesting & decent but otherwise nothing much to write about the movie.

Then & now I prefer 'neengAtha eNNam onRu nenjOdu uNdu' (MV-SJ) to this song :-)

app_engine
3rd July 2011, 12:11 AM
With the V V kAthiru song, the 1981 collection ends - a total of 17 mixed numbers (some phenomenal, some great, some just ok).

I'll get the shortcuts organized shortly and post in all three threads (this one, the SPB thread on current section of TFM & the last song heard thread in the TF section)

app_engine
3rd July 2011, 12:43 AM
ok, the shortcuts are together here in a single post :
All 70's & year 1980 here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=698331&viewfull=1#post698331)

Those of 1981:
#56 Ayriam thAmarai mottukkaLE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=698822&viewfull=1#post698822)
#57 oru kungumachchengamalam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=699245&viewfull=1#post699245)
#58 sollachcholla enna perumai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=699624&viewfull=1#post699624)
#59 vanthathu nallathu nalla idam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=700123&viewfull=1#post700123)
#60 kalyAN rAman (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=700127&viewfull=1#post700127)
#61 oru poovanaththula (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=700613&viewfull=1#post700613)
#62 hEy, hEy, orAyiram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=701165&viewfull=1#post701165)
#63 Radha, Radha nee engE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=701947&viewfull=1#post701947)
#64 theerAtha viLaiyAttuppiLLai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=702309&viewfull=1#post702309)
#65 poonthaLirAda (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=703177&viewfull=1#post703177)
#66 vAlibamE vA vA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=704159&viewfull=1#post704159)
#67 vizhiyil un vizhiyil (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=704199&viewfull=1#post704199)
#68 nadakkattum rAjA namma rAjjiyam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=704205&viewfull=1#post704205)
#69 nAn thAngoppandA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=704212&viewfull=1#post704212)
#70 iLangiLiyE innum viLangaliyE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=704623&viewfull=1#post704623)
#71 andhi mazhai pozhikiRadhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=705287&viewfull=1#post705287)
#72 pEsu en anbE un anbai ennenbEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=705652&viewfull=1#post705652)

app_engine
3rd July 2011, 08:10 PM
While 1981 was spent partly at home (+2) and partly at hostel (college life started on 9-9-81), 1982-85 was totally independent / carefree period (except ofcourse ejjAms). Once into the college, my sabbatical for movie-watching got discontinued with 'anbE vA' at the college audi and that opened the floodgates of movie watching.

And 1982, what a year for SPB-IR combo!

Starting this year, it's quite floodgates for this combo!

app_engine
3rd July 2011, 09:03 PM
#73 தீம் திரனன..திரன தீம் தனனா
(ஆகாய கங்கை, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0008'&lang=en)

'thEnaruviyil nanaindhidum' - sounds like someone pouring honey into one's ears! With a great bharatha-nAtyam-music start, the song is a great treat to anyone who loves such semi-classical numbers in TFM. This was part of my Thanjavur-based collegemate's collection. He was an IR-fanatic and used to record all songs in every new disk that gets released (including the stray instrumental pieces that IR allowed to be the fillers in some vinyls). This guy now took my cousin's position in being the "window" to me to the world of TFM:-) (Same guy who got archanai from us for taking us to movies like eera vizhikkAviyangaL and the AVM Rajan + his daughter movie etc using the IR tag).

AgAya gangai was the first directorial venture of one of BR's assistants, the lean Manobala who still stays in the film field as an actor (nice role as Asin's boss in ghajini). I haven't seen him on TV interviews but read in IR titbits every now and then as someone who shares some rare IR-thingies on such shows. nallA irukkattum :-) Unfortunately for him, AG didn't make any impression despite having the young sensation Murali (original name of s/o Muthuraman, one wonders why BR changed it to Karthik? Was there any IR influence as producer of AO? avarukkum ippadiyellAm pEr vaippathil thrill irundhadhu thAnE?).

By now, in my world, SPB-SJ have become the defacto standard for duets and nothing else was accepatble. This movie (or album) came toward the end of 1982 - much after payaNangal mudivathillai etc I think). Also, with multiple avenues to listen to music (even Trichy vividh bhArathi was a new option, apart from walkman / cassette players of various hostel mates & other traditional channels like buses), life was getting a lot more musical than academic :-)

Plum
3rd July 2011, 09:13 PM
That avm rajan sri@mahalakshmi movie is devi sridevi. Dasarathanini thirumaganai is a decent song, too.

balaji
4th July 2011, 12:06 AM
App Sir
Excellent pattu; this song is an wonderful number; SJ sings so well in this song...

Plum

I think app is referring to the "Rani Theni' movie which had some nice songs like "enna solli Naan ezhudha, en mannavanin manam Kulira''.. a great PS number..

Devi/Sridevi came much later, I think directed by GA.. (Telugu original was a hit .. Retta Jadda Seeathalu or something like that .. I think...)

app_engine
4th July 2011, 07:11 AM
balaji,

Plum is right, it was the movie with 'Dasarathanin...' and the girl got back her name as Mahalakshmi.

rANiththEni was with the name "Shree" and, yes, 'enna solli nAn ezhudha' is one of the sweetest numbers from IR-PS combo!

KV
4th July 2011, 12:40 PM
App, interesting write-ups and snippets.
A side note on the legendary Andhimazhai - the Telugu version that I've got with me has an additional chorus (all-ladies, ordinary singing as usual) that precedes the 'wa-wa-wa'+mrudangam prelude. (lyrics goes something like sa ri ga ma pa dha ni saptaswaralu neeku...). I haven't heard this one in any of the Thamizh versions that I have. And I haven't seen the movie either. It could probably be a part of the BGM before the start of the song in the movie.
Sidenote 2 - Azhagae azhagu, the divine, ghazal-like beauty crooned oh-so-awesomely by KJY, in its gulty version has SPB doing the vocals. Doesn't work anywhere as well as the Thamizh/Dasettan's version for me. SPB diehards who haven't heard this one yet, might want to try. (Amavasya chandrudu (http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/album/A0001648.html))

About TVG, I've already posted this question here but didn't get an answer last time around, here's it again - What are the songs that TVG has sung for IR?
The one's that I'm aware of are Andhimazhai, Ada macham ulla, Margazhi maadham and Idhu oru nila kaalam. Any more?

Plum
4th July 2011, 01:00 PM
KV, that's part of the BGM probably. The tamil counterpart goes something like
"pani vizhum iravinil iru vizhi nanaindhadhu nERRu
something something something something kARRu"
I think Madhavi visits the blind school and it is their prayer or something. That leads up to the song sequence.

KV
4th July 2011, 01:20 PM
KV, that's part of the BGM probably. The tamil counterpart goes something like
"pani vizhum iravinil iru vizhi nanaindhadhu nERRu
something something something something kARRu"
I think Madhavi visits the blind school and it is their prayer or something. That leads up to the song sequence.
:lol:
As always, perfect plugging of knowledge gaps... you're truly an intellectual plumber'nga!

PARAMASHIVAN
4th July 2011, 04:29 PM
App anna - Great Going :clap:

BTW, when was "Payanangal mudivathilai released" ?? 1982 ??

app_engine
4th July 2011, 07:02 PM
App anna - Great Going :clap:

BTW, when was "Payanangal mudivathilai released" ?? 1982 ??

Yes, I'm thinking of not bothering about "movie-name-alphabetical-order" for this year as it would be easier to narrate history in the order of events in life :wink: That way, moonRAm piRai & PM can be written about prior to kAdhal Oviyam :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
4th July 2011, 08:13 PM
Yes, I'm thinking of not bothering about "movie-name-alphabetical-order" for this year as it would be easier to narrate history in the order of events in life :wink: That way, moonRAm piRai & PM can be written about prior to kAdhal Oviyam :-)

Eagerly waiting for MP, PM, and KO :)

Plum
4th July 2011, 10:34 PM
1982 - bumper year pOlirukku. Looking for personal anecdores app - college life vERa. RasamAna stories irukkumnu nambaREn :)

baroque
5th July 2011, 06:15 AM
yeah ..share it with your friends.

அவரு பாட்டு கேட்டு நம்ப என்ன எல்லாம் செஞ்சோம், our ஹார்மோன்ஸ் on the loose..

app _eng , கரெக்ட்/vulnerable age வேற...

Jolly time, confused time, awful time, touching moments , generous time, more more with Shri.Ilayaraaja sangeetham.

vinatha.

PARAMASHIVAN
5th July 2011, 05:09 PM
Come on APP anna !

Start off with "Ilaiya Nila" :redjump: :bluejump:

KV
5th July 2011, 05:22 PM
About TVG, I've already posted this question here but didn't get an answer last time around, here's it again - What are the songs that TVG has sung for IR?
The one's that I'm aware of are Andhimazhai, Ada macham ulla, Margazhi maadham and Idhu oru nila kaalam. Any more?

This query's gonna return a SQL100 eh?

Sureshs65
5th July 2011, 05:32 PM
KV,

So that you don't feel that your query has gone unreplied: I don't know of any other song!!!

KV
5th July 2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks anyway, Sureshji.

app_engine
5th July 2011, 06:28 PM
Question to KV & Sureshji,

There are two voices in the "and we had a talk" piece in HTNI.

Could one of them be TVG? (and the other IR?)

Plum
5th July 2011, 07:58 PM
oNNu TVG, innoNNu?
andha innONNu dhAnga TVG ;-)

app_engine
5th July 2011, 09:17 PM
I'm behind by a day (long-day-time-drive) and will come up with 2 songs today to catch up. And the first number will obviously be related to Trichy :-)

app_engine
5th July 2011, 09:42 PM
#74 காவிரியே, காவிரியே
(அர்ச்சனைப்பூக்கள், 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0307'&lang=en)

Can't place a date on this movie, so decided to go with the alphabetical thingy. As mentioned above, the first line is directly related to the city close to kallaNai, mukkombu, koLLidam & kAviri :-) The city where I spent 4+ extremely interesting years. 4 things made life so thrilling - obviously one being Raja's music (and anyone who listened to his output during 1982-1985 -those were fresh juice then, now aged wine - can testify to this fact), second the totally new set of friends in college hostel / Trichy and the life-perpectives that they influenced me to build up, third the countless books / periodicals / material that was opened out for me to read (Sujatha being one of them, at his peak) and fourth -countless other new people (including some whom one would have "met" :wink: only once in a bus journey).

Well, this song, is like one of those countless new people. Was there on the recordings of my Thanjavur hostelmate. And heard many times on radio. And on other occasions on buses.

Sweet melody, strongly influenced by the stronger rAgA leanings that IR started doing in 80's. Sweet melodic interludes, using his most favoured instruments. (The santoor sound reminds one of trees on riverbanks). And the tablA, which I'll love even if IR uses unchanged in another 1000 songs!

app_engine
5th July 2011, 10:20 PM
Before I write about the song / movie that is so dearly loved, some history. The intention is not to write autobio but could give some flavour to the later descriptions of songs / impact of music on a person as to "how-a-pattikkAttAn-turned-engg-student-viewed-IR-music-during-college-days".

Though I mentioned 9-9-81 the start date at REC, after a couple of days of being locked in the Agate hostel (per order by seniors, most part of 1st sem was spent in khAki-khAki dress outside hostel), we were given time-off to go home because seniors were celebrating "Festember 1981". Happy to let go, away from the terrorizing ragging atmosphere, I took off. Home sweet home.

The whole 1st sem was an experience of terror - being taken as "captive" to senior hostels to wash their clothes, clean-up their rooms, provide them entertainment and sometimes even savagely getting beaten up - all these built a lot of empathy in me for any who gets persecuted in life. Well, during all that time, once back in Agate after a fearful experience - the endless discussions about music with roommates / wingmates were like balm to the heart!

Our 1st sem was an extended one i.e. till May of 1982, to ensure there's one year gap between us & our immediate seniors, who were the first 4 year batch. (They were the first +2 group who were forced to finish course in Dec, to give the last 5-year batch at least 6 months to find jobs. Later, we had only 6 months gap between us and our immediate juniors...so the engg was 4.5 years for two batches before it became true 4 year course).

So, the next couple of movies I'll include here happened within the '1st sem' of Agate + "A" mess life in khAki dress (forced to clean shave etc) though these got released in year 1982 :-)

skr
5th July 2011, 10:21 PM
Nice way to begin the yr 1982 and also App's College life :) ..

app_engine
5th July 2011, 10:54 PM
#75 வானெங்கும் தங்க விண்மீன்கள் விழி இமை மூட
சூரியன் வந்து கடல் குளித்தெழும் நேரம்
வானில் ஒரு தீபாவளி, நாம் பாடலாம் கீதாஞ்சலி
(மூன்றாம் பிறை, 1982 ஃபெப்ரவரி வெளியீடு , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2071'&lang=en)

AhA, what a movie! And, what a song! Sophistication levels that only Mahendran & BM movies / songs reached in TF! Right from the prelude which is similar to BM's camera work and his 'pace-at-my-will' narration. SJ's humming slowly building up a sun-rise theme that culminates in a glorious trumpet sound to start the vaira varigaL! Second to none in depicting nature, the kavingar had a field day!

A classic drums / trumpet / phenomenal bass guitar first interlude! SPB's tha-tha-thoo-thoo youthful second interlude. Very casual singing by both the veterans to thrill youngsters! Well, the whole song is a marvellous package! (add to these the BM special of oLi Oviyam having Sridevi on screen).

This was probably the first movie I saw in Trichy, with a newly acquired friend (son of dad's friend / distant relative...) who had a beautiful akkA :-) (Honestly, my first "crush" though she was 5 yrs older...very loving person who got married within a couple of months after I met the family, to a foreign mAppiLLai). The stressful 1st sem at hostel made me run to all people known to my dad in Trichy and I was on bus every Saturday and returned only Monday mornings (Dad worked there for a few years before I was born and quit the job to serve in a hamlet school).

The movie - a moderate commerical success but won critical acclaim - ran for only a few weeks in kalai arangam (a huge state owned theater near Trichy bus stand, changed its name to Thiyagarajar manRam later on, I don't know the current name) before it got moved to 'rukmaNi' theater in uRaiyoor (written as Woriur in English). Even after that theater changed its name, people called it 'padmA maNi' which was its original name it seems. I don't think it exists anymore.

That's where I saw the movie and melted, crying like a child in the end.

Revisited that movie many times in suburb theaters, watched both shows when screened in college audi etc.

One of the top movies of KH, SD, BM & IR! Though the better songs were bagged by KJY (kaNNE kalaimAnE & poongARRu), I'm glad SPB-SJ were part of this classic!

jaiganes
6th July 2011, 12:24 AM
#74 காவிரியே, காவிரியே
(அர்ச்சனைப்பூக்கள், 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0307'&lang=en)

Can't place a date on this movie, so decided to go with the alphabetical thingy. As mentioned above, the first line is directly related to the city close to kallaNai, mukkombu, koLLidam & kAviri :-) The city where I spent 4+ extremely interesting years. 4 things made life so thrilling - obviously one being Raja's music (and anyone who listened to his output during 1982-1985 -those were fresh juice then, now aged wine - can testify to this fact), second the totally new set of friends in college hostel / Trichy and the life-perpectives that they influenced me to build up, third the countless books / periodicals / material that was opened out for me to read (Sujatha being one of them, at his peak) and fourth -countless other new people (including some whom one would have "met" :wink: only once in a bus journey).

Well, this song, is like one of those countless new people. Was there on the recordings of my Thanjavur hostelmate. And heard many times on radio. And on other occasions on buses.

Sweet melody, strongly influenced by the stronger rAgA leanings that IR started doing in 80's. Sweet melodic interludes, using his most favoured instruments. (The santoor sound reminds one of trees on riverbanks). And the tablA, which I'll love even if IR uses unchanged in another 1000 songs!

This is one song where the bass seems to carry the song through all the scales.
Sounds so simple, but the intricacies are so tightly packed and concealed like the inji (ginger) and cocnut pieces
inside a kaarthigai pori urundai. Though not a classical counterpoint, the repartees by first flute, then followed by strings section
to the charanam first phrase by singers is a delight - It is a delight because it creates a swift stroke of a country side breeze in one's mental
canvas. In the country side, unpolluted and solitary, nature is always in conversation, birds chirping to a breeze, responded by fluttering leaves of a
tree. Here a young couple's song resonates with the elements of nature in such a conversation. Awesome pick App - From now thou shalt be invoked
as "Awesome App Engine" or AWE!!
Getting back to the rakshasan SPB, that chuckle and sigh in the second charanam is something no ordinary singer can produce - it is possible
only from a person who is a singer, actor and a story teller. There are a million meanings in that sigh and chuckle. Only a man in love can decipher
half of those meanings - for the rest of the unfortunate unloved creatures (Read critics) it will appear unfiltered through their monochromatic prism
as a simple "konashtai" anyone can do.. Therein lies the power of SPB - to elevate a song from mere chain of notes into a story of a character!!

jaiganes
6th July 2011, 12:46 AM
#75 வானெங்கும் தங்க விண்மீன்கள் விழி இமை மூட
சூரியன் வந்து கடல் குளித்தெழும் நேரம்
வானில் ஒரு தீபாவளி, நாம் பாடலாம் கீதாஞ்சலி
(மூன்றாம் பிறை, 1982 ஃபெப்ரவரி வெளியீடு , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2071'&lang=en)

AhA, what a movie! And, what a song! Sophistication levels that only Mahendran & BM movies / songs reached in TF! Right from the prelude which is similar to BM's camera work and his 'pace-at-my-will' narration. SJ's humming slowly building up a sun-rise theme that culminates in a glorious trumpet sound to start the vaira varigaL! Second to none in depicting nature, the kavingar had a field day!

A classic drums / trumpet / phenomenal bass guitar first interlude! SPB's tha-tha-thoo-thoo youthful second interlude. Very casual singing by both the veterans to thrill youngsters! Well, the whole song is a marvellous package! (add to these the BM special of oLi Oviyam having Sridevi on screen).

This was probably the first movie I saw in Trichy, with a newly acquired friend (son of dad's friend / distant relative...) who had a beautiful akkA :-) (Honestly, my first "crush" though she was 5 yrs older...very loving person who got married within a couple of months after I met the family, to a foreign mAppiLLai). The stressful 1st sem at hostel made me run to all people known to my dad in Trichy and I was on bus every Saturday and returned only Monday mornings (Dad worked there for a few years before I was born and quit the job to serve in a hamlet school).

The movie - a moderate commerical success but won critical acclaim - ran for only a few weeks in kalai arangam (a huge state owned theater near Trichy bus stand, changed its name to Thiyagarajar manRam later on, I don't know the current name) before it got moved to 'rukmaNi' theater in uRaiyoor (written as Woriur in English). Even after that theater changed its name, people called it 'padmA maNi' which was its original name it seems. I don't think it exists anymore.

That's where I saw the movie and melted, crying like a child in the end.

Revisited that movie many times in suburb theaters, watched both shows when screened in college audi etc.

One of the top movies of KH, SD, BM & IR! Though the better songs were bagged by KJY (kaNNE kalaimAnE & poongARRu), I'm glad SPB-SJ were part of this classic!
Whatta song? drums in this song is worth dying for. From the slow pluckings of a guitar to SJ humming casually, a true beachside romance this song is...
Talk about imagery and Ilaiyaraaja, here the song is a pure image studio. Every line loaded with evocative imagery.
Raaja reused the elements of this song later with even more stupendous success in Oh Premi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEyRH6ZH-_g) song from pallavi anupallavi.
In many ways it is a pioneering effort from Raaja and SPB!! every passage is so surprising that no matter how many times you have listened this song before, it catches u unaware, gaping.
It is like a short term memory loss patient with insatiable affinity to sweets taken through a melodic maze of unlimited sweets. ... Again the story teller SPB rises to the occassion and stamps his
uber cool all over the song.. one of my favourity Balu mahendra songs ever...

groucho070
6th July 2011, 07:03 AM
App & Jai :thumbsup:.

The MP song, many here would not know about it. Not helped by the fact that the cassettes then (usually two in ones) did not even have this song. I realised it when revisiting the film in later years. Beautiful piece.

KV
6th July 2011, 06:57 PM
App, the vocals in HTNI, though I'm not exactly sure, I always thought was by IR and Surendar (the singing isn't too clean; Surudhi often gets a beating in it)

KV
6th July 2011, 06:57 PM
Awesome posts, AWE & Jai! While one chooses to drench us in nostalgia, the other brings showers of poetry on us! I’m thoroughly enjoying this rain!

As Jai rightly said, the bass guitar in Kaviriye is special stuff. I’m a mad fan of this song’s prelude… the conversation between the bass and santoor is spellbinding!

Moonrampirai is my Numero Uno favorite of all IR albums. Emotional opulence, technical sophistication and popular appeal, packaged into a blend of perfection!
The source for this madness/devotion/obsession over the album is a ‘soundtrack’ tape that my father had as part of his collection. (a solid collection of various genres, composers and artists).
I chanced upon this tape around the time I was passing out of school and moving to pre-university. PU classes used to be from 0730-1130 and I would be back home by 1200 or 1300. With both, mum and dad working, it used to be only grandmom and I at home, till evening. I would, almost daily, very religiously, carry the old, compact, Sanyo single-speaker taperecorder and some of my favorite tapes and lock myself in a room. After that, for hours it would just be music and me, undisturbed; relaxation and tranquility of the highest order. I can, even now, vividly recall several dialogs from the film and the music pieces accompanying them. Momentary silence and then a gradual passage of violins to musically paint the scenic landscape of Ooty, the loopy, naughty, enticing pieces of bass guitar portraying Silikku’s longing and melancholy… every scene is a slice of poetry, visually and musically.
Even after I got my computer and mp3 collection, I had very safely kept the tape with me for many years and would often go off on a ‘trip’ listening to it. Alas, the tape recorder threw up some trouble some months back and my tapes now lie in a corner, dust gathering over them and my memories.

app_engine
6th July 2011, 08:10 PM
Great descriptions jaiganes and nice recollect KV!

All of us have nice memories with audio equipments :-) During my 1st sem, not many students have any kind of audio equipment (max some battery transistor radios). So, music within hostel was limited to radio broadcasts & vocals / instrumentals by roommates / wingmates / hostelmates.

(Small explanation of the term "wing" - all the 9 hostels in REC Trichy had a bird-like structure. The entrance +common room (newspapers, later TVs) + TT table room + cycle parking space + staircase were like the "body" of the bird and the rooms of students were like the "wings" - all hostels had east & west wings. We had room mates during 1st to 3rd sem and single room from 4th sem onwards. So, there was more of wingmate menace than roomie menace)

app_engine
6th July 2011, 08:15 PM
Since RECs (now called NITs) have 50% local state students and 50% from other states, there were at least 125 boys in our batch from states other than TN, who were introduced to TFM :-)

One among them was an excellent singer from Bihar who loved 'kaNNE kalaimAnE'. I still remember his playing of chords on a spanish guitar while singing the moondRam piRai song!

app_engine
6th July 2011, 08:21 PM
Starting today, for seven days, we'll have the songs from another movie that got released in Feb 1982 like MP.

And this was a movie that had only two singers on the title card (SPB & SJ) :-)

app_engine
6th July 2011, 08:25 PM
App, the vocals in HTNI, though I'm not exactly sure, I always thought was by IR and Surendar (the singing isn't too clean; Surudhi often gets a beating in it)

I'm 100% sure it's not S N Surendar (maternal uncle of actor Vijay, who had dubbed for Mohan in a number of movies and had also sung a few songs.)

The voices in HTNI are heavier - sounding mid age men, IR highly possible to be one of them. SNS always sounded like a boy :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
6th July 2011, 08:49 PM
Did SPB sing a song in Moondram Pirai ? :confused2: The Only song I can remember is the wonderfull "kanNe Kalai MaanE" by KJY!

V_S
6th July 2011, 09:32 PM
sorry guys, I am back now. So hectic. Missed hub so much.
Lot of interesting song and posts by App, jai and KV. :thumbsup: Need to catch up.
Pesu En Anbe from Vidiyum Varai Kaathiru wow! Listening this song after long long time may be after my school days. Remember my friend who was grace about this film and watched it 5 times and used to force us to watch the film. Still I have not watched it.
Thenaruviyil - another gem of a song. App, Didn't know Murali was named as Karthik by BR, from where in the world you are getting such vital information.
Vanengum as grouch said, it was a later discovery for me too. No one can do such wonder. As jai explained, this song can take you and adapt to your imaginations.
Thanks App and KV for sharing your memorable college days through these songs. Ilaiyaraaja at his peak and college days can't come to everyone. Very happy and lucky to be part of that group. Those first year engineering college ragging days, it was way too much, still with Raja and exam preparations, all went so fast. My first year and Punnagai Mannan, can't get better! Still remember how I escaped to come out of campus and watched this film and how I escaped again into my room without getting caught by seniors!

Excellent write-ups by App, Jai and KV!

app_engine
6th July 2011, 09:42 PM
#76 இளைய நிலா பொழிகிறதே
இதயம் வரை நனைகிறதே
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 , வைரமுத்து பாடல், ஆர்.சுந்தர்ராஜன் இயக்கம் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2671'&lang=en)

Last Dec when a Detroit AA couple had to undergo my "TFM torture" for a ~2hr drive to Cleveland (and back as well), this number was part of the repeat plays and my superlative praises. Well, they loved the song too and asked me to give them a copy:-) In course of our talks, I mentioned that if they want me to pick a song as my "all-time-top-fav-TFM-song", it will be this!

I've posted a lot on various threads about the song itself. I don't think it's necessary to repeat the praises for the lines, SPB, great guitar interludes / postlude etc. Sufficient to say this is a superlative, landmark song in TFM!

There's something called "symbiosis" in biology (e.g. relationship between butterfly & the plant it helps pollinate) and a similar thing existed between IR & his directors. Starting with PM, he shared such a nice relationship with R Sundarrajan. Obviously, IR's genius in his domain cannot be compared to what the directors did in their own but purely from the resultant benefit part, it was a symbiosis.

To acknowledge IR's genius, however, the producer of PM (Kovai Thambi) did a nice thing. He started advertising on the poster as 'iLaiyarAjavin innisai mazhaiyil' on top! This was the first movie to have such posters and I don't think they carried his pic like the later ones.

While moonRam piRai strugged to complete its "iNaintha 50-vathu nAL", PM was effortlessly completing its 100+ on "gaiety" theater in singArathOppu, Trichy where I've watched the movie a few times. I don't think that non-A/C theater exists anymore.

This song was attempted by every troupe in light music competitiions & entertainment nights in the college thereafter. And, every guitarist worth his salt wanted to play this on stage:-)

app_engine
6th July 2011, 09:44 PM
Did SPB sing a song in Moondram Pirai ? :confused2: The Only song I can remember is the wonderfull "kanNe Kalai MaanE" by KJY!

Listen to the wonderful 'vAnil oru theepAvaLi' from the thiraippadal link in my post.

There should be youtubes available as well, Sridevi in jeans / sun glasses walking on a beach:-)

PARAMASHIVAN
6th July 2011, 09:48 PM
Listen to the wonderful 'vAnil oru theepAvaLi' from the thiraippadal link in my post.

There should be youtubes available as well, Sridevi in jeans / sun glasses walking on a beach:-)

Thanks , I cant seem to find any Videos on you tube :(

PARAMASHIVAN
6th July 2011, 09:58 PM
#76 இளைய நிலா பொழிகிறதே
இதயம் வரை நனைகிறதே
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 , வைரமுத்து பாடல், ஆர்.சுந்தர்ராஜன் இயக்கம் )

Amazing song, SPB does a smooth "ride" without any effort, The guitar work is brilliant! This was the song I wanted to sing in 1997 Ganakuyil (in London) , as this song was "very" popular!, in the end I had to sing "vaa Vennila" , but cant complain, as that song fetched me the first prize :)

jaiganes
6th July 2011, 10:07 PM
Awesome posts, AWE & Jai! While one chooses to drench us in nostalgia, the other brings showers of poetry on us! I’m thoroughly enjoying this rain!

As Jai rightly said, the bass guitar in Kaviriye is special stuff. I’m a mad fan of this song’s prelude… the conversation between the bass and santoor is spellbinding!

Moonrampirai is my Numero Uno favorite of all IR albums. Emotional opulence, technical sophistication and popular appeal, packaged into a blend of perfection!
The source for this madness/devotion/obsession over the album is a ‘soundtrack’ tape that my father had as part of his collection. (a solid collection of various genres, composers and artists).
I chanced upon this tape around the time I was passing out of school and moving to pre-university. PU classes used to be from 0730-1130 and I would be back home by 1200 or 1300. With both, mum and dad working, it used to be only grandmom and I at home, till evening. I would, almost daily, very religiously, carry the old, compact, Sanyo single-speaker taperecorder and some of my favorite tapes and lock myself in a room. After that, for hours it would just be music and me, undisturbed; relaxation and tranquility of the highest order. I can, even now, vividly recall several dialogs from the film and the music pieces accompanying them. Momentary silence and then a gradual passage of violins to musically paint the scenic landscape of Ooty, the loopy, naughty, enticing pieces of bass guitar portraying Silikku’s longing and melancholy… every scene is a slice of poetry, visually and musically.
Even after I got my computer and mp3 collection, I had very safely kept the tape with me for many years and would often go off on a ‘trip’ listening to it. Alas, the tape recorder threw up some trouble some months back and my tapes now lie in a corner, dust gathering over them and my memories.
I still remember the inexplicable wave that caught me when i heard Poonthaliraada in "hits of 80s" collection in a casette tape player in my uncle's house. I was probably 9 years old. The devastation was total. The memory is so vivid, that Raja impregnated my memory so deeply. It is impossible to take him out of my conscience now. So deep has been his impact, that rest of the music I have heard since those days are just sediments on top of that memory.

Nerd
7th July 2011, 04:25 AM
Moonraam Pirai and PayanangaL Mudivathillai in the same year? (I am sure there are many) Whoa! Great posts app. Thank you so much.

Random, uninteresting, irrelevant tidbit: Gaiety, Rukmani (friend of mine owns it) and Kalai Arangam are still there in Trichy. The first two play re-re-release films.

app_engine
7th July 2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks , I cant seem to find any Videos on you tube :(

Here it is - the opening song from moonRAm piRai :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy2eKsH1oPo

app_engine
7th July 2011, 07:07 AM
Moonraam Pirai and PayanangaL Mudivathillai in the same year? (I am sure there are many) Whoa! Great posts app. Thank you so much.

Random, uninteresting, irrelevant tidbit: Gaiety, Rukmani (friend of mine owns it) and Kalai Arangam are still there in Trichy. The first two play re-re-release films.

yw :-)

Interesting to know that those oldies are still alive:-)

BTW, 82 was a watershed year musically, add ninaivellAm nithyA, kAdhal Oviyum among many others...

groucho070
7th July 2011, 07:11 AM
I am not surprised that Raghu doesn't know about the song/sequence. Could be outside of India the song never made it at all at that time. In fact, the scene was not on TV when I first watched it as a kid.

Plum
7th July 2011, 10:55 AM
(The santoor sound reminds one of trees on riverbanks).
adhE! adhE! I got to know this song only recently so I have no idea how it is picturised though the lyrics give a clue. The predominant image with the initial santoor pieces is one of a river flowing freely into a falls - and with the birds chirping etc, the imagery invoked is quiet as app mentioned - riverbank, trees, monkeys jumping across, birds chirping. It does vividly create the imagery, doesnt it?

PARAMASHIVAN
7th July 2011, 03:14 PM
Here it is - the opening song from moonRAm piRai :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy2eKsH1oPo

Wow Amazing Song! Thanks App anna :)

PARAMASHIVAN
7th July 2011, 03:20 PM
I am not surprised that Raghu doesn't know about the song/sequence. Could be outside of India the song never made it at all at that time. In fact, the scene was not on TV when I first watched it as a kid.

No No, I remember the song! , I watched the movie about 15 years ago, when VHS was around! :lol: it is just that it was not played on TV/ Radio much like "Kanne kalai maanE" !

groucho070
7th July 2011, 03:23 PM
No No, I remember the song! , I watched the movie about 15 years ago, when VHS was around! :lol: it is just that it was not played on TV/ Radio much like "Kanne kalai maanE" !Appadiya? Ingga vettiputtangga, padupaavi pasangga. Maybe the authorities here found Sri Devi's sunglass and jeans too vulgar. More than Ponmeni Uruguthe that made it.

Plum
7th July 2011, 03:34 PM
Horny, random, depraved, Hill Station chick - exception case. Not an aspirational figure.
Cool, young, stylish, awesome chick frolicking on beach with friends - aspirational figure. Harmful to prevailing societal mores. Likely to be emulated by youngsters.
purinjudhA?

PARAMASHIVAN
7th July 2011, 03:41 PM
More than Ponmeni Uruguthe that made it. Oh that one with Kamal and silks :lol2: , when I watched the movie as a "teenager" the elders in the house used to "forward" this song, me being "overly Innocent" did not understand the reason, IppO thaanE purithu :lol2:

app_engine
7th July 2011, 06:06 PM
I have no idea how it is picturised

google says it had Chandrasekar / Subadhra...I doubt if any other hubber could have an idea :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
7th July 2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySit-EywGk&feature=player_detailpage

ThreeThespians of Indian Cinema (IR/SPB/NT) :notworthy:

skr
7th July 2011, 07:14 PM
Ilaya Nila cud well be the song of TFM..
There used to be a time when it was impossibe to complete a day without hearing this wonder ..
A song which made a movie run for 25 weeks..
Have seen so many ppl attempting the Guitar piece on Youtube but not one has got close to the original ..
A song for long drives/joy/love/emotion etc etc ..
Not a single fellow can say he doesnt like this song ..
Truly a landmark song ..
1982 is going rock solid thanks to App..Have discussed Moondram Pirai and Payanangal Mudivathillai..Hope next its Ninaivellam Nithya on the anvil ..

app_engine
7th July 2011, 07:44 PM
Have discussed Moondram Pirai and Payanangal Mudivathillai..

MP had only one SPB song while PM had 7, so you'll have to put up with me on PM for a week :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
7th July 2011, 07:46 PM
Thogai ilamayail is equally good as illaiya nila, but don't know why it is regarded as 2nd fiddle to illaiya nila :(

San_K
7th July 2011, 07:57 PM
then what about Maniyosai kettu ezhunthu. Sometime i am forced to rate slightly above the ilaiyanila while i am listening this song

PARAMASHIVAN
7th July 2011, 08:05 PM
then what about Maniyosai kettu ezhunthu. Sometime i am forced to rate slightly above the ilaiyanila while i am listening this song

yes, but Maniyosai is a sad song, where else Thogai ila mayil and Ilaiya nila are Romantic One!

By the way SPB's coughing towards the end of Maniyosai, is superb just like Dhoraguna from shankaraparanam, no wonder he is Regarded as the Nadigar Thilagam of Play back singing! :notworthy:

skr
7th July 2011, 08:54 PM
No Probs App..
Every song in PM is a gem ..Waiting to hear the college reactions that time to Hey Aatha Aathoram :)

app_engine
7th July 2011, 11:24 PM
#77 ராகதீபம் ஏற்றும் நேரம் புயல் மழையோ
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2673'&lang=en)

A song which was very unlike any IR song-prior! Sounding like a bakthippAttu while accommodating all the cinematic ingradients to make it catchy. Obviously, SPB's contribution is monumental in making this song a big hit (along with other numbers of this movie). The symbiosis too worked very well, with the first-timer RS providing nice "situations" and ok "picturizations" for each song of the movie. (Some of those may appear "not-that-great" from today's POV, but they were welcomed with both hands and embraced by the TN of 1982!)

Actually, the movie itself can be viewed from two angles. One view can be 'hey-what-was-new-after-all-singer-louvvu-dramatic-moments-cancerru-loud-comedy-etc-haven't-we-seen-these-all-before-(ninaithAle inikkum / johny)'.

A totally opposite view could be 'hey-first-time-a-PB-singer's-rise-on-celluloid-with-poet-as-lover-and-woman-behind-man's-success-principle-misinterpretation-of-sacrifice-under-norms-of-society-poetic-ending-etc'

It depends upon the maturity level of the movie watching community. Obviously, majority in TN took the 2nd viewpoint. And, such acceptance got promoted largely due to the "IR-SPB-factor" and the stunning levels of excellence both provided in this album :-)

All that RS needed was to come out with a not-so-irritating-script for a winner and IMO he did a nice job :-) I want to stress the "not-irritating" thing once again as very similar situations had thoroughly irritating presentations in many other movies, IMSO. (e.g. vAzhvE mAyam's "blood kakkifying" visuals with the "prevailing-foolish-thingy-that-KH-needs-min-two-women-per-film" were nauseating to me and so was the "rain-spoiling-song" of enakkuL oruvan and such dramatic movies). PM was a simple, sweet movie about an aspiring singer helped by an influential poet-girl to be successful. And no irritating visuals (despite the cancer thingy) but sufficient drama to keep the proceedings peppy to the end.

rAgadheepam has this "different sounding saraNams" which is a relative rarity in TFM (means, doesn't happen in most songs). I'm especially thrilled with the 2nd interlude where the music aptly captures the dramatic transformation in the weather and SPB nicely follows up with 'Anandha gangai veLLam pongapponga' (what lovely emotions, I say)!

San_K
7th July 2011, 11:37 PM
>> A song which was very unlike any IR song-prior! <<

app, Is not like 'Kadhal Oviyam' movie songs? BTW when Kadhal Oviyam was released?

I too think, this song was so popular as much as Ilaiya nila, maniyosai and greater than all other songs in popularity

app_engine
7th July 2011, 11:47 PM
>> A song which was very unlike any IR song-prior! <<

app, Is not like 'Kadhal Oviyam' movie songs? BTW when Kadhal Oviyam was released?

Yes, the song is of similar style as Kadhal Oviyam which came in the same year but I'm not sure about exact time of release :-( Most probably after MP-PM that came in Feb. (BTW, BR's tik-tik-tik was towards the end of 1981 and KO could not have made it that early in 1982)

genesis
8th July 2011, 12:38 AM
After the super duper success of PM, I think the director R.Sundarrajan and producer Kovai Thambi realized they can make more movies with IR as the only star attraction. Most if not all of the movies by RS-KT combo had pretty average story line, no big stars like RK/KH (The only other thing we remember about these movies is Koundamani-Senthil comedy tracks). If not for IR's music we would have forgotten all these movies by now. There were about 6-7 movies from this combo. Many of these movies made more business than good movies like Moondram Pirai. If my memory is right, good movies like Kathal Oviyam and Raja Paarvai were box office disasters.

Around 1985/86, KT went away from Raja and made some movies with Laxmikant-Pyarelal and V.S.Narasimman. But could not recreate the magic without IR. After RS-KT, this idea was taken to the next level by Ramarajan, Raj Kiran and Kasturi Raja - and they cut open the "Goose That Laid the Golden Egg".

app_engine
8th July 2011, 12:56 AM
After the super duper success of PM, I think the director R.Sundarrajan and producer Kovai Thambi realized they can make more movies with IR as the only star attraction. There were about 6-7 movies from this combo.

Small correction there genesis...Following PM's success, Kovai Thambi (Motherland pictures) did a number of movies with IR but only one had RS as director (nAn pAdum pAdal, another movie I love).

For the producer's second movie after PM, iLamaikkAlangal, possibly after the songs were done, RS was removed and Manivannan did the movie with a 'script-for-ready-made-songs' technology. 3rd movie NPP had RS and that's about it.

4th unnai nAn sandhiththEn & 5th udhaya geetham : K Rangaraj was the director (who was an assistant to Bharathiraja)
6th idhayakkOvil : Maniratnam was the director

These are the six Kovai Thambi's MP + IR combo that I know of. (The producer picked L-P for the Nadhiya starrer uyirE unakkAga that had the sweet 'panneeril nanaintha pookkaL mella chirikka'. After that movie I stopped following their productions)

V_S
8th July 2011, 12:59 AM
App,
Through Payananga Mudivathillai and its songs you brought back beautiful memories. Great songs and great write-up with again lot of never knew insights.

Our school had a playground where we usually go for our PT class. One side of the play ground is covered by a back wall of the theatre. Normally we can hear the dialogues, songs from our playground itself and most of us go near to the wall, when our PT master was not nearby. This is one of the films where we got to hear the songs and some dialogues before watching the film. Also as some of our friends have already watched the film used to narrate which scene was going on. All these became a teaser and could not avoid ignoring this film anymore. I still remember cutting the class one afternoon (yes at that young age) and watched this film and went home straight. I still could not believe how did i do that? I will leave it you how the rest of day would have been for me.:) I watched this film may be around 5-6 times, but everytime with one of our relatives. Very lovable film!

V_S
8th July 2011, 01:03 AM
and they cut open the "Goose That Laid the Golden Egg".
Sorry genesis, I can never agree to this, if it were some other composer, may be, but it can never be true for Ilaiyaraaja who is a gifted composer. I believe we are not giving much thought about this recent compositions and just dismissing it, saying it's not like 80's. It's all prejudice.

app_engine
8th July 2011, 01:13 AM
I still could not believe how did i do that?
:lol:

Nice recap, V_S!

80's Raja = nostalgia to many of us:-)

rajkumarc
8th July 2011, 01:17 AM
PM has lovely songs that it's hard to pick one over the other as a favorite. Each song is special in its own way. Did IR play guitar for the Ilaya Nila song or was it somebody else?

Vaan Engum from MP is a spellbinding composition, the visual imagery it invokes for the dawn/dusk and sea shore setting is beyond comparison.

genesis
8th July 2011, 01:32 AM
Who was the director for PM?

app_engine
8th July 2011, 01:56 AM
Who was the director for PM?

Ofcourse, R Sundarrajan!

The only other movie with these three in combo that I'm aware of, i.e. R Sundarrajan, IR & Motherland pictures (Kovai Thambi) , was nAn pAdum pAdal.

(BTW, R Sundarrajan has made many IR movies in different banners - like vaidhEki kAthirundhAL, amman kOvil kizhakkAlE, rAjAthi rAjA, en jeevan pAduthu, thirumathi Palanichamy)

rajkumarc
8th July 2011, 05:42 AM
R.Sundarrajan is one lucky for he got extraordinary songs for his not so extraordinary movies.

groucho070
8th July 2011, 07:20 AM
Horny, random, depraved, Hill Station chick - exception case. Not an aspirational figure.
Cool, young, stylish, awesome chick frolicking on beach with friends - aspirational figure. Harmful to prevailing societal mores. Likely to be emulated by youngsters.
purinjudhA?Ada...aamangoo. Makes sense.

Oh that one with Kamal and silks :lol2: , when I watched the movie as a "teenager" the elders in the house used to "forward" this song, me being "overly Innocent" did not understand the reason, IppO thaanE purithu :lol2:Dad switched off the TV like for five minutes, while bitching to a visiting buddy about how Poornam Viswanath could act in that kinda role. We kids were absolutely baffled.

No Probs App..
Every song in PM is a gem ..Waiting to hear the college reactions that time to Hey Aatha Aathoram :)Banned in Malaysia back then, because of the sick radio station thinking about incest.

Divine22
8th July 2011, 09:23 AM
Payananggal Mudivathillai ' regarded as one of the most memorable, tooya thamizh film titles,a long long way from titles such as star,jeans, king,queen,brooms & mops,Antha title kkage Dir oru Sabash!!!

Illaya Nila Pozhigirathu, always on my play list, guitar vaasicha kaigalai kannule ottikanum pola irukku! I love the picturization too, especially for SVS & his reactions in starvation, was a real comic relief, One of my most fav SPB songs,

And other songs are a real treat too, IR/SPB/RS combination rocked ! and never failed to create chart topping magic !

Interesting write ups abt yr college days app_eng ;-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOXBk9sZKt0&feature=related

app_engine
8th July 2011, 09:39 AM
Thank you Divine22!

iLaya nilA youtube :
(audio quality is decent, check out Poornima's lip sync for 'muhilinangal...', poetic!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOXBk9sZKt0&feature=related

app_engine
8th July 2011, 09:40 AM
Unfortunately, one old news item ninaivukku vanthu tholaiththadhu, when watching this video :-(

That was the arrest of the other actress (Rajini) shortly after the run of this movie...

app_engine
8th July 2011, 09:42 AM
rAga deepam has youtube presence too :
(very few views, however)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvynWdkP6WU

app_engine
8th July 2011, 09:50 AM
Poornima Jayaram was one decent, nice actress!

While she didn't have great airs about 'touch me not' etc (like Nadia / Shalini), nobody ever felt she was indecent at any point of time.

"Love marriage" with K Backiaraj was a nice thing to happen and they had 2 children who have both acted in movies.

groucho070
8th July 2011, 10:07 AM
app, agree with Poornima. Beautiful too. She should have won the competition with Rajini :evil:

Plum
8th July 2011, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately, one old news item ninaivukku vanthu tholaiththadhu, when watching this video :-(

That was the arrest of the other actress (Rajini) shortly after the run of this movie...
vaLara rasamAya news pOlE thONunnu - koRaichu details parayAm sAarE...

Plum
8th July 2011, 10:23 AM
app, She should have won the competition with Rajini :evil:

Same pinch - felt the same at that point :lol:
That's my guilty secret, too! (This, at the peak of my Rajini fandom)

Plum
8th July 2011, 10:25 AM
Even at that age, the strip-to-jatti-hey-so-i-have-won-the-dance-competition antics of Rajini in that song seemed outrageously silly. Thanga Magan, Aduththa Vaarisu was a series that even peak Rajini fans didnt take to heart - this is but an example of the silliness that SPM made him go through after the initial flush of Murattu Kaalai's success.

Plum
8th July 2011, 10:27 AM
Another only-tamizh-cinema-fossible is the conclusion to sangeetham paada gnAnam uLLavargaL vENdum in Idhu namma ALu, where Bhagyaraj with his "he rum pum" antics wins a music competition over Shobana's teacher-amma-voice-fuelled light-semi-classical piece. Admittedly, a light weight competition but Bhagyaraj's hey hey rum pum wins only because he is the director-actor. The silliness rubbed me off the wrong way and went a long way in curing my MCP_ness(admittedly, a continuing journey that, for no man is completely cured of it in his lifetime)

groucho070
8th July 2011, 11:21 AM
Imagine how I felt on the other camp. Anyway, Rajini committed the same crime in Pandiyan. SPM-a arrest pannunggapa :evil:

Sureshs65
8th July 2011, 02:00 PM
app,

As I said in another thread, things getting tighter and I am not able to see all posts everyday. So let me in advance give you a gunny sack full of compliments !! :D You are doing a terrific job and I am enjoying all the posts.

I think the greatest achievement of yours has been to ensure Plum came out of the woodwork :lol: It has been a while since he had stopped posting regularly. Nice to see him post often in this thread.

PARAMASHIVAN
8th July 2011, 03:19 PM
ராகதீபம் ஏற்றும் நேரம் புயல் மழையோ has similar type of Msuical intruments to that of சங்கீத ஜாதி முல்லை from kadhal Oviyum, even tune is some what similar!

Recently some Film of Veesal had the remake of "ஏ ஆத்தா ஆத்தோரமா" it was "horrible", These re-makes of MSV / IR songs should be banned :evil:

PARAMASHIVAN
8th July 2011, 03:20 PM
Imagine how I felt on the other camp. Anyway, Rajini committed the same crime in Pandiyan. SPM-a arrest pannunggapa :evil:
Yes, me being a Rajni fan, got irritated with such "dumb" scenes! :evil:

PARAMASHIVAN
8th July 2011, 03:25 PM
how Poornam Viswanath could act in that kinda role.
yes I was in utter :shock: too ! I guess these kind of issues are "common" in BM's films !

app_engine
8th July 2011, 05:12 PM
vaLara rasamAya news pOlE thONunnu - koRaichu details parayAm sAarE...

അത്ര രസമൊന്നുമില്ല, തിനതന്തി പത്രത്തില്* വന്ന "അഴകികള്* കൈധു" :-(

app_engine
8th July 2011, 05:15 PM
dig

I don't know why the Malayalam l & L got messed up here, it shows correctly on google transliterate :-( Even edit doesn't fix it...

end-dig

Plum
8th July 2011, 05:43 PM
verum Boxes dhAnga theriyudhu

app_engine
8th July 2011, 06:50 PM
dig

verum Boxes dhAnga theriyudhu

Unicode Malayalam, Plumji. BTW, one of the words is 'azhagikaL'.

end-dig

Today happens to be a Friday but there's no 'maRRa' song in PM. (Despite the offensive first line, even the dappAnguththu cannot be placed in that category).

So, I'll continue with the PM songs in the order they appear in the movie :-)

app_engine
8th July 2011, 07:09 PM
Thanga Magan...- this is but an example of the silliness that SPM made him go through after the initial flush of Murattu Kaalai's success.

Plum, sumall davut...it was A Jagannathan who did golden son I think :think:

PARAMASHIVAN
8th July 2011, 08:17 PM
Today happens to be a Friday but there's no 'maRRa' song in PM. (Despite the offensive first line, even the dappAnguththu cannot be placed in that category).

What is maRRa song ?

app_engine
8th July 2011, 08:30 PM
அடடா :-)

It literally means 'other' :wink: like they say the 'other side of a person'...

...and a slang / euphemism in Malayalam for topics related to sex.

PARAMASHIVAN
8th July 2011, 08:37 PM
அடடா :-)

It literally means 'other' :wink: like they say the 'other side of a person'...

...and a slang / euphemism in Malayalam for topics related to sex.

sabbaa ஒரு சொல்லுக்கு இத்தனை அர்த்தங்களா :lol:

app_engine
8th July 2011, 09:44 PM
#78 தோகை இளமையில் ஆடி வருகுது வானில் மழை வருமோ?
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2676'&lang=en)

There was no TV in Trichy when PM arrived. No other place in TN except Chennai had TV until the "National network of DD" came into existence later in that year.

I remember the Kumudam cover pictures in an issue sometime in late 70's - of Chennai TV tower on the front and Tokyo TV tower on the back (absolutely no comparison, just for curiosity they printed both). Another thing -even the Madras one was Black & White only. The color transmission in the country too came around the time of national network launch. (It was done just prior to the Asian games in Delhi in 1982). So, there was no TV in our hostels till my 4th sem, when we got a Solidaire in the common room.

No wonder this song was so much interesting under such circumstances :-) That of an aspiring singer getting a chance to sing on TV! It was wonderful to listen to those words "காற்றோடு கல்யாணம் செய்கின்றதோ"! IIRC, R S had a nice, extra twist in that scene too, of Mohan realizing the handwriting being the same as that of 'iLaya nilA' and switching instantaneously to his own love poem. (If K Viswanath or such acclaimed one does a similar scene, our people will praise as 'classic' 'fundA' etc but when locals, that too country-breds like R S does such, it becomes ordinary :roll: What double standards yA?)

In any case, such a "sichchuvEshan" charged up our IR / SPB combo and they did deliver a phenomenal number! Great melody, wonderful guitar / flute / veeNA interludes, fantastic percussion combo of mridh & tablA and soulful singing by the man of the match.

My first year room mate (very much interested in arguments on any topic in the world, that can last for hours and he could handle multiple people simultaneously just like that) kept talking about how he was upset over Poornima not doing justice to the classical dance - all the 1 hour or so travel back from town to hostel after one watch of the movie. My reasoning of 'non-necessity-of-pure-classical-dance-for-a-love-dream-scene' didn't go well with him :-)

genesis
8th July 2011, 11:01 PM
// Poornima Jayaram was one decent, nice actress!

While she didn't have great airs about 'touch me not' etc (like Nadia / Shalini), nobody ever felt she was indecent at any point of time. //

app - If you recall most of the heroines of the time were decent. Then we used have "designated" actresses to do "indecent" parts. Even today I am surprised to see in 70s and 80s heroines mostly wore only saree. In TN today, it is almost impossible to see saree wearing young females, forget the movies.

// Recently some Film of Veesal had the remake of ....... it was "horrible", These re-makes of MSV / IR songs should be banned //

Most of the remakes end-up horrible as the MD tries to spice them up. Engeyum Eppodhum from Pollathavan was one exception. I think it is the only remix that was sung by the original's singer.

// #78 தோகை இளமையில் ஆடி வருகுது வானில் மழை வருமோ?
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 ) //

I caught the video of this song few weeks back - For few seconds GA appears to be watching TV with couple of kids, Who are these kids?

app_engine
9th July 2011, 12:16 AM
For few seconds GA appears to be watching TV with couple of kids, Who are these kids?

Possibly Venkat Prabhu & Premji - sons of GA. Venkat Prabhu has become a director (Chennai 600028, sarOjA, gOA - all MDed by junior rAsA) and Premji has become a comedian in those movies.

app_engine
9th July 2011, 05:16 AM
thOgai iLamayil youtube : (some portions missing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WUYR9Vrto&feature=related

genesis
9th July 2011, 10:54 PM
All PM video songs available here (better video quality): http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/video.asp?clpId=12037

app_engine
10th July 2011, 06:52 PM
#79 ஏய் ஆத்தா
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2678'&lang=en)

The lowest ranked song of PM, possibly introduced to get something "mass" :-( Offensive first line that was criticized by one and all but the song was a big hit nevertheless.

Other than that, the picturization was decent (the couple dancing on a record player was generally enjoyed). Ofcourse, showcased with what ease SPB can deliver such dappAnguththu numbers! Possibly rAsA took a few minutes to compose melody / orch etc, the star instrument being his pet choice for such numbers - the shenoy! The bass guitar score was excellent as well!

In the movie, it was smooth progress for the singer - from a Ottai store veedu to kOvil function to TV show to movie playback :-) All the while, the "love" also progressing :wink:

app_engine
10th July 2011, 06:53 PM
That was for Saturday, one more due for Sunday...will try to catch up...

ey AthA youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFNdNS945IE

Generally captures the popularity level of TFM in TN, can be called a 'varalARRu AvaNam' :lol:

V_S
10th July 2011, 10:19 PM
Enna sir ippadi solliteenga. j/k. We were very crazy about this song that time, after Ilaya Nila, still today. Theatre'e adhirum intha song vantha. Again, many times this song used to come when we were in our school playground and our feet will automatically dance. We used to play this song endlessly in our homes and cherish it's beauty. Inspite all the sheer 'kuthu', the melody and soul is so captivating. As you said the sensational bass portions and shenoy make you wonder how Maestro can pull off such a song in minutes. And only SPB can crack it's inner beauty!

Avadi to America
11th July 2011, 05:04 AM
Yes, me being a Rajni fan, got irritated with such "dumb" scenes! :evil:
As app mentioned, it was directed by A jaganathan...he directed moondru mugam, kadhal parisu and thanga magan....

app_engine
11th July 2011, 09:51 AM
#80 சாலையோரம் சோலை ஒன்று ஆடும், சங்கீதம் பாடும்
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2674'&lang=en)

After achieving the movie playback singing, moving out of store veedu etc, finally duet for the hero! What a sweet song (even though there's that minor resemblence to the silsilA song which helped some of my collegemates - especially one close friend - to ridicule me to no end)!

There was this "western-music-specialist" from Thanjavur in our year (he now lives in the DC area) who used to love MSV's trumpet usage. He was the one who introduced me the 'eye of the tiger' song! Now, our "counter" to him during the trumpet discussion was IR's softer use of wind instruments in many songs - sAlaiyOram being referred as the top sample :-)

Vairamuthu shifting from his typical 'half-glass-empty' moanings to 'half-glass-full' approach in this song.
(How? He switches from vErvai / thAgam to kuLir / mazhai :wink: 'neengaL ennaippArththAl "kuLir" adikkum & manadhukkuL EnO "mazhai" adikkum :lol:)

This song marks the end of the happy portion of the movie and it becomes more like olden day Shivaji movie - where first part will be full of kuRumbu / songs / happiness / upward graph etc and later there'll be lot of sOgam.

At the end of 'sAliyOram' the heroine will give a hint with her moist eyes, that's another smart scene by R S :thumbsup:

app_engine
11th July 2011, 09:55 AM
sAlai Oram youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPgJDpGJaX0&feature=related

tvsankar
11th July 2011, 02:14 PM
app,
Thanks for the picks.............

Thogai ilamayil.. padam parthadhum.. piditha mudhal paatu idhu dhan....... dono the reason...........

Salai oram - Great song..... Night mood.. Amaidhiyana road... love.. ellavatraiyum sonna rajavum..
padina singers um Very Great..........

PARAMASHIVAN
11th July 2011, 03:31 PM
// Recently some Film of Veesal had the remake of ....... it was "horrible", These re-makes of MSV / IR songs should be banned //

Most of the remakes end-up horrible as the MD tries to spice them up. Engeyum Eppodhum from Pollathavan was one exception. I think it is the only remix that was sung by the original's singer.

Indeed, Good observation :)

PARAMASHIVAN
11th July 2011, 03:34 PM
And only SPB can crack it's inner beauty!

Indeed, esp along the lines "சிரித்த சிரிப்பில சில்லரையும் சிதறுது சிவந்த முகும் கண்டு என் மனசு பதறுது " Only SPB Possible :notworthy:

V_S
11th July 2011, 08:16 PM
Exactly, PS. After that line and just before coming to pallavi that 'Yei' and a pause, oh man! those were the songs.

App, excellently put on salai oram and I expected you would write that the last happy song of the movie before the unhappy climax and ending, and it was there! :smile: Beautiful romance on a pleasant evening and on a no man's road as Ushaji put.

app_engine
11th July 2011, 08:28 PM
Thank you Usha Chechi & welcome back to this thread :wink: Hopefully Param won't drive you out again :lol2:

Thanks V_S, sAlai Oram was among the richly orchestrated numbers (and recorded decently too) of that time period, IMO, though not to the levels of the kOzhi koovuthu ones that came out in the same year.

Perhaps the topper in PM if one "counts" the # of instruments used :-)

I simply love the prelude, one of IR's best!

PARAMASHIVAN
11th July 2011, 09:13 PM
Exactly, PS. After that line and just before coming to pallavi that 'Yei' and a pause, oh man! those were the songs.
yes that "Yei" was said with the maximum intensity! :)

PARAMASHIVAN
11th July 2011, 09:18 PM
Hopefully Param won't drive you out again :lol2:

Why , what did I do ? :roll:

app_engine
11th July 2011, 09:26 PM
#81 மணியோசை கேட்டு எழுந்து
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2672'&lang=en)

The irumal / serumal pathos song where SPB acts it out to terrific effect!

Some IR-detractors would love to call this song a recycle of 'mAthA un kOvilil' but I disagree. May be same rAgA (someone please confirm) but there are many notes that are different as per my siRRaRivu and I fail to understand how they call both as the same melody :roll: These are not a pair like "kuyilukkuppam kuyilukkuppam & thooLiyilE Adavantha" .

The prelude itself sets the melancholy in a striking manner and the whole song has depressing tone written all over. Phenomenal singing by SPB -especially the saraNams - and nice support by SJ! With the melody taking care of the necessary impact, IR chose to let the orchestration be minimal with strings / veeNA / flute creating the needed pathos effect.

On the screen too they show the female singer in a totally sOgham way (apart from the struggling Mohan). Supposedly Kalyani Menon (who sang 'nee varuvAi ena nAn irundhEn' in the movie Sujatha under MSV & 'sevvAnamE pon mEghamE' in nallathoru kudumbam under IR's baton; mom of Rajiv Menon who did minsArakkanavu / kaNdu koNdEn*2 )...someone please confirm.

Personally, I found great thrill in the exact reproduction of SPB-isms using my vocal chords in the hostel room :-) Though appreciated by some, one guy was blunt in telling me to stop such nonsense and not sing anymore :lol: (He became a good friend in the next few years, excellent carrom player who took me as partner in doubles inter-hostel matches). His reasoning : I was taking care of all nuances correct but my voice was totally unacceptable & he said songs are 'kaRpooram'! Well, over the years, this was confirmed by more loved ones (my son, wife) and I'm restricted to singing alone in car or in the bathroom when water in on :lol:

app_engine
11th July 2011, 09:29 PM
Why , what did I do ? :roll:

chummA for fun-nga, I saw your interchanges on this thread sometime back and chEchi was missing after that :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
11th July 2011, 09:37 PM
The irumal / serumal pathos song where SPB acts it out to terrific effect!
yes, "doraghuna" effect! , SPB again done this type of irumal stuff in some 90's song composed by Deva , cant actually remember the name, but the song was quite good for "Dev" Standards.

Some IR-detractors would love to call this song a recycle of 'mAthA un kOvilil' but I disagree.
you mean the song from Naan Kadavul? If so there is no similarities what so ever .

I'm restricted to singing alone in car or in the bathroom when water in on :lol:
Thanks fully The "Speech Recognition" functionality in the hub is disabled :lol2:

Joking anna :)

app_engine
11th July 2011, 09:45 PM
you mean the song from Naan Kadavul? If so there is no similarities what so ever .

Yes, it was posted a few times in the hub...BTW, it was a "remix" in nAn kadavuL, the original was by S Janaki in the movie 'achchANi' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0104'&lang=en) (we've discussed about the SPB-PS song 'thAlAttu, piLLai uNdu thAlAttu' in this thread)...

PARAMASHIVAN
11th July 2011, 09:49 PM
Yes, it was posted a few times in the hub...BTW, it was a "remix" in nAn kadavuL, the original was by S Janaki in the movie 'achchANi' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0104'&lang=en) (we've discussed about the SPB-PS song 'thAlAttu, piLLai uNdu thAlAttu' in this thread)...

Oh I do have "Short" term memory, will take a look , thanks :)

genesis
11th July 2011, 11:05 PM
//#79 ஏய் ஆத்தா
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 )

The lowest ranked song of PM, possibly introduced to get something "mass" Offensive first line that was criticized by one and all but the song was a big hit nevertheless. //

App - IMHO, this is the second best song in PM. I do not think even IR has made so many nice "sophasticated" (in your words) kuththu songs. Adiye Manam Nillunna from Neengal Kettavai is another Kuththu favorite of mine.

//#81 மணியோசை கேட்டு எழுந்து
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்)
In the screen too they show the female singer in a totally sOgham way (apart from the struggling Mohan). Supposedly Kalyani Menon (who sang 'nee varuvAi ena nAn irundhEn' in the movie Sujatha under MSV & 'sevvAnamE pon mEghamE' in nallathoru kudumbam under IR's baton; mom of Rajiv Menon who did minsArakkanavu / kaNdu koNdEn*2 )...someone please confirm//

Are you sure? I thought it was some supporting actress - she does some facial expressions in the song. On ther side, Mike Mohan coughs in synch with SPB real well.

app_engine
11th July 2011, 11:30 PM
Are you sure? I thought it was some supporting actress

Not sure, that's why I wanted the opinions of other hubbers...I think someone said in tfmpage it was K Menon...

app_engine
11th July 2011, 11:45 PM

One such post by knowledgable DF-er, Vijay, here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?735-18.-MAATHA-UN-KOVILIL&p=20889&viewfull=1#post20889)...

BTW, read Manisekaran's writing on 'mAdha un kOvilil' in the first post of that thread for an interesting titbit...

app_engine
11th July 2011, 11:51 PM

Another one by saradha madam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?587-COPYING-IN-TAMIL-FILM-HISTORY&p=73631&viewfull=1#post73631) where the "original" is not even credited to IR :lol:

baroque
12th July 2011, 04:22 AM
80sஇளையராஜா, வைரமுத்து, பாலா கூட்டணி.

genesis
12th July 2011, 05:29 AM
Maniyosai Kettu has very strong resemblance to Matha Un Koyilil. That song is one of IR's favourite song w/o any doubt. It was his concert opening song before it was replaced by "Janani Janani". There is no wonder he wanted it to be sung by his favorite Shreya Ghosal. (My Hypothesis: IR wanted to use this song as "Pichchai" song in Naan Kadavul, but director Bala wanted to use some other song)

app_engine
12th July 2011, 03:28 PM
genesis,
I don't think IR favors "official" recycles of his songs, especially for a reasonably "original" movie maker of Bala's calibre.

It was more of Bala's idea to grab 'pichchaippAthiram' (a thanippAdal by IR) for the beggar scenes and 'mAdhA un kOvilil' (of achchANi) to connect the conversion of a blind beggar girl to Christianity... I think there was this mild push of the writer's "anti-conversion" agenda as well, which got chopped off by editor or censor.

PARAMASHIVAN
12th July 2011, 03:51 PM
One such post by knowledgable DF-er, Vijay, here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?735-18.-MAATHA-UN-KOVILIL&p=20889&viewfull=1#post20889)...

BTW, read Manisekaran's writing on 'mAdha un kOvilil' in the first post of that thread for an interesting titbit...

Thanks anna, I have read his post in the first page ! :thumbsup:

app_engine
12th July 2011, 03:52 PM
#82 வைகறையில் வைகை கரையில் வந்தால் வருவேன் உன்னருகில்
(பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை, 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2677'&lang=en)

The last song of the movie, another 'bhaktippAdal-like' number with pathos emotions. The clear Atta nAyakan of this song is SPB who sings with a lot of feeling and nails the last 'Ah Ah' in the saraNam so beautifully. IR, on his part, uses shenoy very effectively to bring the peculiar feel of pathos + temple-like tone. A very unique song in cinema format, this one. (If someone plays this in a riverside village temple in the morning or evening, people'll mistake this for a typical bhaktippAdal but it's equally effective on-screen to suit the strong emotions of the singer).

A definite evergreen number which was popular at the time of arrival too. Actually all the songs of PM enjoyed considerable airtime, bustime, teashop time, function time, festival time etc! They were everywhere in TN for months and the movie too ran for months (silver jubilee in more than one place IIRC). Popularized this 'mike Mohan' thingy with which adaimozhi he is known till today :lol: SN Surendar needs special mention too (who started to dub for Mohan almost regularly from this point).

Some used to tell that this movie had a "tragic" ending (which is partly true as what can be more tragic than untimely death? Even old-age-death is tragic :cry:). Still, I won't call it 'sOgamAna' ending as in the case of moonRAm piRai. As long as lovers are not separated, I'm fine :wink:

app_engine
12th July 2011, 04:04 PM
I think as per director of PM too, it was not sOgamAna ending. As the title says, it wasn't end of journey(s). Only the director knows how they're to continue :roll:

At the minimum, the journey of the songs of PM - iLaiya nilA, thOgai iLamayil for e.g. - will NEVER END IMHO :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
12th July 2011, 04:18 PM
App anna

When you write about Kadhal Oviyum songs please PM me (incase I miss it) as the Film, songs , story had such an impact on me :|

thanks

PARAMASHIVAN
12th July 2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7XFw9Xe7wE&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
12th July 2011, 04:56 PM
mani Osai youtube :
(Shankar) Ganesh is doing the baton stuff on screen and someone confirm if this is K Menon :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYZnrlIWPYs&feature=related

app_engine
12th July 2011, 04:58 PM
App anna

When you write about Kadhal Oviyum songs please PM me (incase I miss it) as the Film, songs , story had such an impact on me :|

thanks

Let's jump into some light-weight stuff for a few days before that strong album :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
12th July 2011, 05:56 PM
Let's jump into some light-weight stuff for a few days before that strong album

Ok

\\ I hear that TMS sang for ARR? :shock: :shock: which song ? :confused2: :confused2: //

thanks

Plum
12th July 2011, 06:23 PM
app, it is also interesting that 2 of the songs of this movie - which as you rightly observed was a patti thotti hit including these 2 songs - are pathos. That phenomenon of such pathos songs becoming patti thotti tea kadai speaker hits is very rare now. Yes, there was anjala by Kaaris Seyras. But as I observed to Suresh sometime back on it, even pathos has to be formatted into catchy rhythmic kuthu style these days.

Ofcourse, prior to IR times, pathos was possibly even king - with songs like silar sirippar, en pirandhaai magane, ponal pogattum poda enjoying super hit status even above other songs in the movie. But then again, that was possibly the Sivaji Ganesan factor more than anything else.

PARAMASHIVAN
12th July 2011, 06:26 PM
Kaaris Seyras. :rotfl: Ungalaala mattum than "Possible" ! :lol:

app_engine
12th July 2011, 07:22 PM
That phenomenon of such pathos songs becoming patti thotti tea kadai speaker hits is very rare now.

makkaL already suffering too much in life I think :wink: So, need thALakkozhuppu to rev them up
(Using the technique of some oldtimers, they used to defend the azhuvAchchi movies of their days) :lol:

Seriously, nothing that is not "promoted heavily" can be a hit nowadays. Even if that is happy, thAzhakkozhuppu etc (e.g. ponnaru sankaru, someone from TN pls confirm if 'thEdi vandha dEvathaiyE' is a patti thotti hit)

Plum
12th July 2011, 07:32 PM
Faramu, that was actually coined by our resident tholkAppiyar Bala Karthik. Credit where it is due :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
12th July 2011, 08:10 PM
Faramu, that was actually coined by our resident tholkAppiyar Bala Karthik. Credit where it is due :-)

Oh Ok :)

baroque
12th July 2011, 09:53 PM
Only Shri.S.P.Bala possible.

Govt of India , please somebody pay attention to this thread.

It's just a sample.

Shri.Bala is indeed Jewel of India.

Honor yourself by awarding him the BHARATH RATHNA coming year.

Thanks App_eng and his friends, no praises are enough to congratulate your effort.

One song a day from this thread will run the motor effectively whole day.

vinatha.

PARAMASHIVAN
12th July 2011, 09:58 PM
Only Shri.S.P.Bala possible.

Govt of India , please somebody pay attention to this thread.

It's just a sample.

Shri.Bala is indeed Jewel of India.

Honor yourself by awarding him the BHARATH RATHNA coming year.

Thanks App_eng and his friends, no praises are enough to congratulate your effort.

One song a day from this thread will run the motor effectively whole day.

vinatha.

Vinatha

You have a very valid point, but I think they have nominated Sachin Tendulkar for this :(

baroque
12th July 2011, 10:04 PM
yeah....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_Ratna

I am looking at the names from music and arts, some awesome names are there.

Shri.Bala should be there soon. Late M.S.S, Lata, Pt.Ravi Shankar etc.. that list itself is a proof, my country will not let down music & arts. I am confident.

vinatha

PARAMASHIVAN
12th July 2011, 10:14 PM
Shri.Bala should be there soon. Late M.S.S, Lata, Pt.Ravi Shankar etc.. that list itself is a proof, my country will not let down music & arts. I am confident.

Well, I Hope so :|

baroque
12th July 2011, 10:37 PM
:)
I am not doing முகஸ்துதி to Govt India.
but... look at that names in the list in music, you will know their credibility.

mean time, like A.R.Rahman whenever possible/needed these mds should bring S.P.Bala for our pleasure.

Plum
12th July 2011, 10:46 PM
Dadasaheb phalke kooda kedaikkadhu. Bharath ratnavaa? Ennamo northla porandhu valarndhu bollywoodla top-la irukkaravarnu nenaippu

genesis
12th July 2011, 11:25 PM
Plum - The last 3 Dadasaheb Phalke awards have gone to south indians.. the latest one was given to veteran director KB. The north/south divide is dead with 80s (even MK does not evoke it anymore). South is economically and politically dominating since 1990s. While I appreciate all your love for SPB, I am not sure about Bharat Ratna. If you just compare it with Lata, then yes. But then what about Rafi?

baroque
12th July 2011, 11:44 PM
guys..

North, South etc.. are not there.

see, MGR got the Bharath Rathna.
Looking at MGR's name in this list(after his death, of course) as an actor.
MGR, used his movies, the art for DK group's agendas.
தலைவன் துதிப் பாடல்கள், அறிவுரைப் பாடல்கள் etc ..

How did he earn this award?

S.P.Bala is earning it. S.P.B is virtuous.
I am glad artists like MSS, Pt.Ravi Shankar etc.. are honored with this award. They are the pride of our country.
I want SPB to be next, soon.
It is only JUST.

app_engine
13th July 2011, 12:08 AM
makkaLE,

There had been a major miss :-(

A song that actually got released in the disk in 1979 has been mis-reported on the web as a 1982-er and didn't get included in its due time on this thread.

My understanding until now is that this movie never got released ; but it's quite possible that there was a minor "one-theater-only-in-madras" kind of release that happened in 1982 which got the 1982 tag for this album in a number of websites.

In any case, a song not to be missed! Will be hosted as the next :-)

app_engine
13th July 2011, 08:06 AM
Like popular western numbers, this particular SPB song has two versions over the years - both by IR, one with SP Shailaja & the other with KS Chitra. :wink:

Now it should be easy to guess the song and both the movies!

Let's give guessers some 8 hours :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 03:33 PM
Dadasaheb phalke kooda kedaikkadhu. Bharath ratnavaa? Ennamo northla porandhu valarndhu bollywoodla top-la irukkaravarnu nenaippu

I dont think North Vs South is an issue any more :roll:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 03:39 PM
Like popular western numbers, this particular SPB song has two versions over the years - both by IR, one with SP Shailaja & the other with KS Chitra. :wink:

Now it should be easy to guess the song and both the movies!

Let's give guessers some 8 hours :-)

er 1982 la SPB + KSC combo :confused2:

app_engine
13th July 2011, 04:55 PM
Param,
The original came out in 1979 in disk. The movie didn't get released (or possibly had a limited release in 1982) and many websites - e.g. thiraippadal - say it's a 1982 movie. This had SPB-SPS

The same song got repeated later on (in late 80's) in another movie, with some changes in lyric only but same melody / structure, by a big director in a big actor's movie :wink: This had SPB-KSC

Now it should be easy to guess the song!

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 05:00 PM
Param,
The original came out in 1979 in disk. The movie didn't get released (or possibly had a limited release in 1982) and many websites - e.g. thiraippadal - say it's a 1982 movie. This had SPB-SPS

The same song got repeated later on (in late 80's) in another movie, with some changes in lyric only but same melody / structure, by a big director in a big actor's movie :wink: This had SPB-KSC

Now it should be easy to guess the song!

:( enakku theriyala :(

Nerd
13th July 2011, 06:01 PM
I found that particular song when searching for MV's CSJ imitation song :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 06:06 PM
Is it vaa vaa vanch ilamaanE from Guru Shishyan ?

skr
13th July 2011, 07:00 PM
Oh God ..Eagerly awaiting ..Looks like App has unearthed a stunner of a song :)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 07:08 PM
Oh God ..Eagerly awaiting ..Looks like App has unearthed a stunner of a song :)

Haiyo yaaravathu enna paatu endru sollavum, en mandaiye vedichudum pola oru feeling :banghead:

V_S
13th July 2011, 07:50 PM
I think as per director of PM too, it was not sOgamAna ending. As the title says, it wasn't end of journey(s). Only the director knows how they're to continue :roll:

At the minimum, the journey of the songs of PM - iLaiya nilA, thOgai iLamayil for e.g. - will NEVER END IMHO :-)
:lol: Vaigarayil is a pet song for me as this is the one I mostly hummed during my school days. I even sang this song many times in front of my class and everyone liked it. This film as I said earlier had so much impact in me for many years.

baroque
13th July 2011, 08:32 PM
is it MANIPPOOR MAAMIYAAR?
the composition SAMAYAL PAADAMEY... BY SHAILA WITH BALA.

later Raaja used in UNNAL MUDIYUM THAMBI...KAMAL'S MOVIE....ENNA SAMAIYALO....

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 08:53 PM
is it MANIPPOOR MAAMIYAAR?
the composition SAMAYAL PAADAMEY... BY SHAILA WITH BALA.

Never heard of it :oops:

later Raaja used in UNNAL MUDIYUM THAMBI...KAMAL'S MOVIE....ENNA SAMAIYALO....

Heard of it , I really liked "Unnal mudiyum thambi thambi" and other solo song by SPB

baroque
13th July 2011, 08:57 PM
YEAH..

I have inreco tape with a lady suzhatti saavikkoththu in fingers.
It is a combo with nenjaththaik killadhey.

Other songs in this album
aandha then kaatru... hindolam by vasu and shaila
rasiganey...ilayaraaja

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 09:00 PM
YEAH..

I have inreco tape with a lady suzhatti saavikkoththu in fingers.
It is a combo with nenjaththaik killadhey.

Other songs in this album
aandha then kaatru... hindolam by vasu and shaila
rasiganey...ilayaraaja

MV vs CSJ :lol2:

baroque
13th July 2011, 09:04 PM
:-D

vinatha

app_engine
13th July 2011, 09:05 PM
Param,
That CSJ clue was in Nerd's post :-)

baroque broke it open :-)

baroque
13th July 2011, 09:36 PM
nice app_eng,

vinatha

app_engine
13th July 2011, 09:36 PM
#83 சமையல் பாடமே
(மணிப்பூர் மாமியார், 1979 / 1982 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1948'&lang=en)

(The "rework" of this song was in 'unnAl mudiyum thambi' by K Balachandar / Kamal as enna samayalO (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3810'&lang=en)with SPB / KSC / Sundanda)

Last night I was "singing" 'mamamamamama-mamamamamama-manjaL podiyum engE - masAlAppodi engE' and both my nephew & niece (who are visiting) laughed and said 'mAmA kAmedy paNrAru'. When I told them that I was simply singing a movie song, they told I was joking. So, I played this MM song from thiraippAdal and everyone (esp my 5 year old) thoroughly enjoyed the song. We played the Dr Udhayamoorthy number also and shared some light moments:-)

For this compilation of SPB-IR songs yearwise, I've been generally using rAkkamma & thiraippadal that are more reliable than many other web resources and both failed on the MM song. When I saw yesterday this album in 1982 list, said to myself "that can't be, 'AnanthaththEn kARRu' and the ching-chAw sound in its first interlude were my school days stuff...my cousin's pet love of IR's lead guitar / jAlrA combo...1982 was my college period...So, some googling had to be done and some sites correctly report this inreco album as a 1979-er. Why does these two relatively better sites list it under 1982? I don't know, may be the movie - which IMO never left the cans - possibly had a release that year.

In any case, great light classical song with kitchen references and associating them with rAgA names. Someone please confirm if those portions are actually based on those rAgAs. SPB enjoys himself and the song should have been an IR favourite as he reused it in UMT. (The movie UMT itself was a remake of the IR-NA-award-winning-Telugu-movie-rudraveeNA but the original didn't have the samaiyal song I think, so there could be Kamal-push here).

Both versions of this song should not be missed by IR-SPB lovers!
(BTW, when it's time for punjai uNdu nanjai uNdu, I'll exclude the samiyal duplicate)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 09:50 PM
(The movie UMT itself was a remake of the IR-NA-award-winning-Telugu-movie-rudraveeNA but the original didn't have the samaiyal song I think, so there could be Kamal-push here).

Didn't SPB win a National award for this film also ??

punjai uNdu nanjai uNdu [/I]

One hell of a song :thumbsup: BTW didn't KJY sing for Gemini Ganeshan in this movie ?

Plum
13th July 2011, 09:57 PM
App, the original of enna samaiyalo in Rudraveena was actually a differewnt song. Meesai murugesh plays Kamal's f-i-l there and there's a delightful song(not related to samayal etc) - it is more tied in with the story line as it kind of establishes the music loving lower caste vakkil and his family that Gemini looks down upon as a match for his son. The song picturisation is choreographed in a funny/comic way while taking care to delineate the characters - one of the many reasons I found Rudraveena the better of the two
(It goes randi, randi, randi dhaya cheyyandi - this caused some mirth initially to me in my lack of telugu knowledge days because randi means something else in Hindi)

Plum
13th July 2011, 10:02 PM
And I think the tamil version might be a hurried compromise to replace the original song for whatever reasons. From what I can remember, the f-i-l character is reduced in importance in the tamil version - that might be a reason. And IR-KB-Kamal might have come with a hurried compromise in this - I don't think Kamal invested much in UMt for him to enthusiastically push for the remake of MM song here. From all accounts, seems like he lost interest in the project and kind of just completed it)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th July 2011, 10:04 PM
randi means something else in Hindi)

தெய்வமே உங்களால மட்டும் எப்படி முடியுது ? :lol2:

baroque
13th July 2011, 10:16 PM
தேங்க்ஸ் app _eng.

I double the pleasure listening to என்ன சமையலோ....too.

இலையை போடடி பெண்ணே இலையை போடடி....சமைத்த உணவை ருசித்துப் பார்க்க.....ராஜா ends with மத்யமாவதி ..கற்பகமே கண் பாராய்...கடைக்கண் பாராய்....திருமயிலை...

Unnal mudiyum thambi is a kamal masterpiece.

I love kamal when he stays with me in my heart after I finish watching the movie.
Salangai oli, Punnagai mannan, Unnal mudiyum thambi, sathi leelavathi etc...are like that for me.

app_engine
13th July 2011, 10:19 PM
yw, baroque!

nanRi Plum, for the rudra veeNA / UMT comparison insights :-)

Divine22
14th July 2011, 07:35 AM
A job well done, with PM !!! Unggal payanam with this thread is still a long way ahead, ;-))

Enna Samayalo, what a fun,cute song , SPB & IR at their best trade, making music that gives people the delight & pure joy... love them forever...

V_S
14th July 2011, 07:54 AM
#83 சமையல் பாடமே
(மணிப்பூர் மாமியார், 1979 / 1982 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1948'&lang=en)

App, I have a doubt about this song for a long time, especially the year and it's association with Manipoor Maamiyaar. If you hear this song @3:52 SPB sings 'manorama, seetha'. I remember I have mentioned somewhere about this earlier. If this song was originally composed in 1979 or even 1982, there is a reference to 'Seetha' whose debut was Aan Paavam which was released only in 1985. Or that 'manorama seetha' line was just coincidence, I could not believe it. Even if it is coincidence, since this original song has "Manorama seetha", and KB wanted to reuse this song, so KB requested these two to act in UMT? Again could not believe it.

Other than that, the voice of SPB does not sound like 1979/82, he sounds like late 80s and the orchestration also resemble late 80s.

Can you please clarify?

baroque
14th July 2011, 09:07 AM
கல்யாணி, வனிதா, சீதா, மனோரமா etc .. are names of those hostel girls .
that's all.

some hostelers are sick of their mess food , the guy is calling
hey கல்யாணி , are you a cook? she is asking for tumeric powder , dhal etc ..
மனோரமா, சீதா...சாதம் ஆக late aa ?
அடியே வனிதா is rice ready ?

that's what lyrics says..

உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி situation
மன்னியை tease பண்ணுங்க younger மச்சினரும், குட்டி sister -in -law வும்
அப்பா இல்லாத நேரத்துலே அட்டகாசம் பண்ணி enjoy ...
மனோரமா happens to be மன்னி.

app_engine
14th July 2011, 09:49 AM
Other than that, the voice of SPB does not sound like 1979/82, he sounds like late 80s and the orchestration also resemble late 80s.

Can you please clarify?

I'm 100% sure about Anantha thEn kARRu date - late 70's, my school age. Same goes with
'rasiganE, en arukil vA' that I clearly remember. Also, SPS was an IR fav at that time.

So, one would think 'samayal pAdam' too was a late 70's product. Since the movie never got released (as per my memory), this song possibly got limited exposure - say to a few broadcasts on IOKS, though I can't say for 100% sure.

BTW, look at this blog (http://tamilxprez.blogspot.com/2009/08/manipur-mamiyar-1979.html) that has the inreco disk pic & claims 1979

V_S
14th July 2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks baroque and App for confirmation.:)

groucho070
14th July 2011, 10:29 AM
Can't wait for you to reach Ponni Nathi in Mudhal Vasantham, which I suspect was composed and recorded way earlier. But I'll wait...

app_engine
14th July 2011, 10:16 PM
#84 மாலைசூடக்கண்ணே ராதா நாள் வராதா
(கண்ணே ராதா, 1982 , ஷைலஜாவுடன் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1470'&lang=en)

As promised, a real 'light-weight' number for a Rama Narayanan movie (rare combo of this director working with IR, his regular association was with Shankar-Ganesh or lower). The then hot pair of Karthik-Radha (they did a few movies together following the jubilee debut), some otherwise cheap budget with some ok story made sure the investors got decent returns. IR was obviously heavy-weight for such a movie but then he was also known to be so prolific / high speed that the producers only stood to gain money by employing him despite his relatively bigger paycheck. (Even the "bigger" is quite suspect as he worked often without charge, friendship basis, gratitude basis, pAvam basis, pazhaya ALu basis etc).

In any case, quite a peppy number where IR tried some of his tricks-and-toys-of-the-day. SPB gives jolly thuLLal mode and his sis does what comes effortlessly to her.

Quite a regular on radio, this song also enjoyed some bus / cassette recording shop etc popularity.

app_engine
14th July 2011, 10:17 PM
Can't wait for you to reach Ponni Nathi in Mudhal Vasantham, which I suspect was composed and recorded way earlier. But I'll wait...

This movie came during my Palakkadan (bachelor) days and research is required for any kind of detail :-(

app_engine
14th July 2011, 10:31 PM
A job well done, with PM !!! Unggal payanam with this thread is still a long way ahead, ;-))

nanRi-nga!

Yes, IR-SPB combo has simply too many great songs...at the rate of one song a day, it could keep it running for some more months :-)

baroque
15th July 2011, 01:31 AM
:redjump::bluejump::redjump::bluejump:

vinatha

groucho070
15th July 2011, 07:19 AM
This movie came during my Palakkadan (bachelor) days and research is required for any kind of detail :-(The sound, mate, the sound. SPB's voice here and in another song, Summa Todavummatten. Very different. And Summa was stereo and Ponni Nathi is mono. And the music, very late 70s/early80s. Remba naalaa enna disturb pannikitirunthuchu, forgot about it until the discussion last few pages came up.

KV
15th July 2011, 06:18 PM
App, lovely picks all through the week. Thanks a ton for Maalai soodum; I haven't heard this before. Very good electric guitar work in this one... distortion, leads, chords.. rocking stuff! \m/ \m/

PARAMASHIVAN
15th July 2011, 06:21 PM
This movie came during my Palakkadan (bachelor) days and research is required for any kind of detail :-(

AFAIK , the movie came around 1986/87? IIRC it also had couple of MV songs :roll:

skr
15th July 2011, 08:53 PM
Naanum mudhal vati Maalai Soodum kekkaren..and i thoroughly enjoyed it ..Electric Guitar Sama Dhool :)..The bit from 0.25 to 0.31 briefly reminded me about Ilamai Idho Idho ..

V_S
16th July 2011, 01:47 AM
As promised, a real 'light-weight' number for a Rama Narayanan movie (rare combo of this director working with IR, his regular association was with Shankar-Ganesh or lower).
:rotfl:could not stop laughing, you have very good sense of humour, but paavam sir.

app_engine
18th July 2011, 06:36 AM
nanRi KV, skr, V_S:-)

teen din behind (songs due for Fri / Sat / Sun)...will try to catch up :-)

app_engine
18th July 2011, 06:45 AM
#85 நேத்து ராத்திரி யம்மா
(சகல கலா வல்லவன் , 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3179'&lang=en)

Repulsive in a number of ways, but a big hit anyways. Suits the Friday theme (though Friday is past). Shankar / Rajini chose this song a few years back, to depict (in their viewpoint) what KH-IR are primarily identified with, when it comes to romance - which is a shame :-(

SPB-SJ sings so well, terrific guitar & northie-sounding. What was the use? It's no match even in 'maRRa' department to the other nilA number from the same movie.

ok, there may be other hubbers who can say some +ve things about this song - one of the biggest commercial hits ever in TN!

app_engine
18th July 2011, 06:58 AM
#86 இளமை இதோ இதோ
(சகல கலா வல்லவன் , 1982) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3176'&lang=en)

One of the most popular numbers ever in the SPB-IR combo! The lyrics are typical Valee-ism and the beneficiery in this case is KH ('nAn thAn sakala kalA vallavan', which is quite fitting)! IR's extremely succesful mix of class & mass :wink: In other words, presenting some novel, innovative orchestration in a thoroughly commercial format and succeed! The trumpets, bass, synth and the drums - AhA, I love the drum-hitting-in-the-end-of-the-saraNam! One of IR's best drum sounds:-)

SPB thoroughly enjoyed this song (made for each other)! Equally enjoyable is the karOke version which got played on buses often.

Watched the movie at the time of release in Trichy Cauvery theater (a/c located in the congested Palakkarai area) and it was one of the very few occasions when I got scared by the rowdyism in crowd :-( Anyways, the movie created bad taste in many ways and that was just one. Ofcourse, the best part of the movie was katta vaNdi (2 times) and nilA kAyudhu, both MV songs. (IR-KH possibly differentiated the kAttAn KH & modern KH with MV-SPB which went in favor of MV)...

V_S
18th July 2011, 07:10 AM
Memorable songs App! (no words can describe the songs of SKV). Nethu Rathiri - Again my top pick of SKV even compared to Ilamai Idho Idho and nila kaayuthu, as I 'more' frequently listen to this song compared to Ilamai Idho Idho. Perfect erotic number. Through the arabian arrangements and setting Maestro takes to another level of erotica. While we are seduced by the husky 'Yamma' of SJ, SPB comes with his style of 'Yamma' (from @2:25) with his voice goes baritone and intentional cracking. Wow! No singer in the world can ever do that. :notworthy: All awards should have been poured for this song for SPB. And what a way to complement by SJ.

Hear the line before this and we cannot even imagine this line would come, again a great stealer by Maestro!
அஞ்சு விரல் பட்டவுடன் அஞ்சகத்த தொட்டவுடன் ஆனந்தம் வாரேவா (again that cracky ending!)

அம்மாடி ஆத்தாடி உன்னாலதான் (again the feel SPB given in this line, can anyone in this world can do? Impossible!)

Our friends were very crazy about this song and that 'Yamma' by SPB.

Perfect song for a moonlight sea travel on a open boat dancing to this number!

Still remember watching this movie on the front row and since many of my friends already watched it, they were creating all the suspense of how the post-interval would be! Unimaginable! Still today I get goosebumps whenever I rewind my memories on the day I watched this film first time. We were all out during interval to enjoy some fresh air (as that theatre was not having a/c at that time, now it has) and everyone was asking about my feedback. I was already on cloud 9. As far as I remember this was the first Kamal film which was talked so much on par and even greater to Rajini's mass films. And this is the film from where I became a big fan of Kamal. Again still today could not believe the post-interval opening, a cracker! What a punch! Again a top film for me and can watch any numer of times. Kamal :notworthy:

app_engine
18th July 2011, 07:22 AM
#87 பூக்கள் சிந்துங்கள் கொஞ்சும் தேவ சந்தங்கள்
(நிழல் தேடும் நெஞ்சங்கள், 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2412'&lang=en)

An example as to how IR's creativity was simply overflowing in this year! A drum delight with a very catchy tune and format! Right from the start where the chorus sings 'dhoo thoo!' it's full of pullarips! All for a relatively unknown team and a movie that didn't make any impact whatsoever but this song is still dearly loved!

I intro'd the song to the village teastaller and he got it in the cassette and it became such a sought after number by all the boys! Had some radio-time but mostly became popular by the 'recording-center' thingy! The drum sounds where so enjoyable that those shops loved to play this in high decibels to create a sensation those days.

It's more of a Janaki song with SPB appearing only during the second interlude (with puli urumal voice that supposedly played havoc to his throat in a later-time-song; but he was ok doing stunts like this during earlier days).

A must listen for all IR lovers!

(BTW, there's another stylish Janaki / Deepan Chakravarthy song in this movie, 'idhu kanavukaL' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2409'&lang=en) )

app_engine
18th July 2011, 07:26 AM
This NTN song definitely predates (at least by months if not years) the 'nAn thAn tAppu meethi ellAm dooppu', so the later song was the sandham recycle while 'pookkaL sindhungaL' was the original. (ARR had a song of a similar sandham - mAyA machcheendrA)

Divine22
18th July 2011, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=app_engine;711655]#85 நேத்து ராத்திரி யம்மா
(சகல கலா வல்லவன் , 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3179'&lang=en)

Hi
I remember as kids, or even in high school days, we were not allowed to watch Nethu rathri & Nila kayuthu songs ! Strictly a NO NO from both of my parents. hehehe,,, And didnt hear much to understand the songs & their technicalities of these songs, hence even today i would probably skip this 2 songs from watching, I dont know why... Nethu rathiri yamma, was KH with Silukku , if Im not mistaken ?

Recent times, I remember seeing the spoof of nethu rathiri in Sivaji (2007), an unwarranted first nite scene!! and he will pull Sivaji ganessan .MGR to KH,,, and for what course ?? totally absurd ! makes me think, Man, you want to insert a song here, just do it !!! Pavum anthe aatmakkal (NT & MGR & Silukku) Spare them....

2nd, another spoof in a movie called Tamizhpadam, where there will be a character like Vjkanth in Vaidehi Kathirunthaal, and each nite at 12am he will start to sing this song nethu rathiri so that the villagers will go to (sleep) ehem hem... duh!

rajkumarc
18th July 2011, 11:12 AM
Everlasting New Year song and Ever lasting erotic song from SKV. Thanks App for the picks.

Whenever I hear Ilamai Idho Idho, I remember the Ooty Trip I went with my Mom (who is a doctor and was a visiting lecturer in Coimbatore Medical College) and the medical college students. I was probably around 8 or 9yrs old at that time. Ilamai Idho Idho was played countless times on that trip. That song was a complete rage among the students. That's how this song got etched in my mind and I get the same excitement every time I listen to it.

Divine22
18th July 2011, 01:16 PM
~Ilamai Itho Itho~

Ahh,,Now this song is a whole diffrent story all together, I love this song very much, from the
beginning to the ending stroke !! What an energizing & vibrant song, the orchestration, drums,trumpets and the equally invigoratingly fast beat singing! Hes the man!! the way he goes hey,hey,,,,& kalej teenage pengal ellorkkum en meethu kangal! Blasting away with awesomely ! An eternal new year song!

I like the part whr he will stick a flower on the actress's ear, Yaar kaathilum poo sutruven! naan than sagalakala vallavan,,, :D

groucho070
18th July 2011, 02:45 PM
Small, but related digression: I heard back then that Kamal injured (I know, the usual) himself during shooting this song (Ilamai Itho Itho). Anyone?

PARAMASHIVAN
18th July 2011, 03:29 PM
SPB-SJ sings so well, terrific guitar & northie-sounding. Obviously :) This Lyrics of this song was not as vulgar as Nila kayuthu!

I love the way SPB says "Ach acha Pachai kizhi" :thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
18th July 2011, 03:38 PM
App anna

Lovely pick of "Ilamai itho itho" absolutely energetic stuff from SPB,I can not think of any singer whom are known for their versatility (TMS, Kishore kumar) can do justice to this song, SPB 's stamina is unmatched ( I often used to wonder how a man of SPB size has an awesome stamina of an athlete :shock: :notworthy: ) . Now, coming back to this song from "Hi every body wish you a happy new year” till the end, it is just amazing!

Listen to the lines of "Shabab beebpara beeba shariba heeey " he will drag this hey bit for almost a minute and end on high octave (8)! Simply stunning :notworthy:

app_engine
19th July 2011, 09:23 AM
#88 சந்தனக்காற்றே செந்தமிழ் ஊற்றே
(தனிகாட்டு ராஜா, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3561'&lang=en)

Absolute stunner! The ending of the saraNam alone is sufficient to prove the greatness of this IR-SPB-SJ combo! Unbeatable ever! I can go on using superlatives for this song but none can describe the fantastic feeling one gets when driving alone listening to this song - very, very dear to me!

Ofcourse for a kuppai movie - Rajinikanth losing out to Jaishankar on Sridevi and ends up romancing Sripriya in another SPS stunner - a lead guitar delight - rAsAvE onna nAn eNNiththAn. Some years back, I rented this DVD from an Indian store in Ypsilanti and got enough thittu. The movie never got watched in full, even though it was weeks after I returned the DVD to store. Such an intolerable one despite Rajini & Sridevi. Definite vizhalukku iRaiththa neer by rAsA.

Both these songs survived big time, however, and are dear to me ever since they arrived. (I'll feature the other SPB songs from this movie as well in this thread as they all had some airtime, loudspeaker time etc those days, even though didn't gain much favor from me).

The prelude alone is sufficient to keep my pulse racing! The only thing tolerable on screen is possibly this song where the great star pair walk / dance around in a park. Rajini was quite smart and it was a Telunguish Sridevi here IIRC. Will try to post the youtube...

app_engine
19th July 2011, 09:26 AM
The ettu-nattam sentiment removed the 'க்' from the title :lol:

Here's the youtube of santhanakkARRE :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoni5c5urjQ

San_K
19th July 2011, 10:54 AM
App, Santhana Katre is a fabulous song. Btw my favourite is Nanthanda ippo devadoss SPB rocked :thumbsup:.

PARAMASHIVAN
19th July 2011, 03:28 PM
Santhan Katre is one Fabulous song, Rajni and Sri devi :thumbsup:

V_S
19th July 2011, 08:13 PM
#88 சந்தனக்காற்றே செந்தமிழ் ஊற்றே
(தனிகாட்டு ராஜா, 1982 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3561'&lang=en)

Absolute stunner! The ending of the saraNam alone is sufficient to prove the greatness of this IR-SPB-SJ combo! Unbeatable ever! I can go on using superlatives for this song but none can describe the fantastic feeling one gets when driving alone listening to this song - very, very dear to me!

:thumbsup: Very well said! No superlatives required, just listen to it to believe it!

baroque
19th July 2011, 08:34 PM
stunning strings:musicsmile: in sandhana....

playful mirudhangam prelude and tantalizing violin and flute lude in mullai arumbe....Vasu and Janu.

maane thaene kattipudi... too seriyaana danceable mirudhangam.:bluejump:

Janu is THE MATCH for Bala with sexy allure!

Janumma is AMAZING! :bluejump:

Rajini is oozing with awesomeness.

thanks app_eng.
vinatha.

Nerd
19th July 2011, 10:19 PM
The only thing tolerable on screen is possibly this song where the great star pair walk / dance around in a park. Rajini was quite smart and it was a Telunguish Sridevi here IIRC. Will try to post the youtube...
Sridevi looking beautiful is not surprising but Rajini did look ravishing in this particular song. IMO his great looks in songs is a toss up between this one and kaadhalin dheepam onru. Very smart indeed.

Beautiful song. And what expressive singing. Louu apdiyE vadiyum :-)

app_engine
20th July 2011, 12:25 AM
IMO his great looks in songs is a toss up between this one and kaadhalin dheepam onru. Very smart indeed.

+1, very impressed with Rajini after revisiting the song on youtube!

I like the songs where Rajini does no dancing but expresses stylishly - comparable to Sivaji of younger days :-)

At the end, the youtube prompted me to go to 'rAsAvE onna nAn' :oops: kyA kartA hai, hey Rajini sir? :oops:

jaiganes
20th July 2011, 12:44 AM
it was a ramesh naidu movie, a remake of telugu movie..
I recall watching this movie as a kid and the one that stuck me was the cinematography and color scheme of things. Later brain developed and associated such
color patterns with manavaadu movies. But yes.. Rasaave onnai naan is a stunner that got to me even those early days..
Years later when I was going through a pile of kannada classics by raaja, heard the song "Aakashadhindha jaari" from "Mathu thappidha magaa"? (or is it some other movie?)
where the charanam interlude arrangements are the same as "Raasave onnai naan" and made me say "whoa"...
Coming back to Sandhana kaatre, the instrumental clincher is the electric guitar - what a funky out of the box usage of this instrument - purely whacky, yet totally appealing.
As far as SPB- SJ chemistry goes..
a line by SPB and a gentle nod "nana nana" then branch off to an aarohanam in a different scale followed by that haunting glide of "thara nana nana nana" ending up in the pallavi on a lower scale - these are two awesome eagles with years of flying together giving us a demonstration in flight..
Their majesty and proficiency make every flight an arresting sight. Ilaiyaraaja presents these wonderful birds with a beautiful blue sky and scintilliating drafts of swara transitions in the song which these birds use like staircases to climb up and down, roll and turn much to the delight of dumbfounded spectators like us.

app_engine
20th July 2011, 12:44 AM
#89 நான் தான்டா இப்போ தேவதாஸ்
(தனிகாட்டு ராஜா, 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3559'&lang=en)

Awesome singing by SPB (he packs some extra energy for any drunk song IMO). The song sounds somewhat similar to mAmEn oru nAL malligappoo koduththAn. IR did another one with similar styled tune later on for K Bhagyaraj (kaNNaththoRakkanum sAmi, the famous murungaikkAi song).

Catchy beat pattern, SPB & shenoy - IR possibly did this song in lightning speed at the peak of his creativity. As this thread's collection process shows, 1982 was perhaps a significant milestone year for him when he was scoring sixers all around the field. (If we also include the albums where SPB didn't feature, like Anandha rAgam, eera vizhikkAviyangaL, thooRal ninnu pOchchu, thAi moogAmbikai, kOzhi koovuthu whose disk was out and that narasoos song etc - what a year!)

Perhaps that was one reason why I didn't so favourably respond to this number at the time of arrival. If one listens to this simply as a song, it's quite impressive!

app_engine
20th July 2011, 12:57 AM
jaiganes,
:clap:

pidinga one more title that is due to you : "Hub's imagery specialist" :-)

jaiganes
20th July 2011, 01:02 AM
jaiganes,
:clap:

pidinga one more title that is due to you : "Hub's imagery specialist" :-)
danq uvar aanar.

V_S
20th July 2011, 01:05 AM
As far as SPB- SJ chemistry goes..
a line by SPB and a gentle nod "nana nana" then branch off to an aarohanam in a different scale followed by that haunting glide of "thara nana nana nana" ending up in the pallavi on a lower scale - these are two awesome eagles with years of flying together giving us a demonstration in flight..
Their majesty and proficiency make every flight an arresting sight. Ilaiyaraaja presents these wonderful birds with a beautiful blue sky and scintilliating drafts of swara transitions in the song which these birds use like staircases to climb up and down, roll and turn much to the delight of dumbfounded spectators like us.
Wow Jai! I am dumbfounded :clap:

Divine22
20th July 2011, 01:34 PM
Santhana Kaatre , Lovely pick, Kaatele metekkera maatiri oru sugamaana paadal. I like the tananaa... joining in the charanams!!

Plum
20th July 2011, 02:23 PM
jai, aakasadhindhA jAri is from jenma jenmada anunbandha

PARAMASHIVAN
20th July 2011, 09:26 PM
I watched Jaya TV's "Thirumbi Parkiren" program yesterday, the guest was Deepan Chakaravarthi. Is he the son of "Thiruchi Loganathan" ? :shock: On the show DC was taking about his song "பூஜைக்காக வாழும் பூவை சூறையாடல் முறையோ " . During the shoot for this song SPB was appearently in Singapore on some trip, and couldn't make it on time for recording it, so IR asked DC to do the "Track singing" for this song. Once this has been completed SPB returned back from Singapore to record this song as per IR's request! Once SPB heard the version song by DC, he appearently said " ivar paattu nalla thaane iruku, ithaiye padathila podunga".

DC was overwhelmed by the "Humility" of his annan SPB, he had tears in his eyes when he said this on the show. This song fetched him the national award! :clap:

But I still thing "Sangeetha jathi mulai" deserved the NA more than any songs in the film :(

app_engine
20th July 2011, 09:50 PM
Param, I'm not sure it was NA...probably Tamilnadu State Award :roll:

PARAMASHIVAN
20th July 2011, 10:01 PM
Param, I'm not sure it was NA...probably Tamilnadu State Award :roll:

Sorry App anna, It was TN State award not NA :oops:

app_engine
21st July 2011, 12:49 AM
#90 கூவுங்கள் சேவல்களே
(தனிகாட்டு ராஜா, 1982 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3557'&lang=en)

The weakest area of SPB-IR combo, IMHO.

majestic muzhakkams. Where TMS with either MSV or KVM simply ruled during MGR days.

Both our men try hard (IR with his trumpets and other wind instruments along with strings and percussion work, SPB with high-pitched energy) but it didn't make the impact on me like, say, 'adhO andhappaRavai pOla' :wink: Not even the impact of 'podhuvAka emmanasu thangam' by IR/MV combo. And, as usual, my taste sync-ed with the taste of 80's TN-ers and this song didn't make it that big. Had some air-time, loud speaker time etc but not to the proportions of how a Rajini-SPB-IR song should have reached.

Well, if placed in a right setting, this may have made its impact. (For e.g. prior to 2011 TN elections, I happened to watch a program on Jaya TV where there was interaction with public / news clippings etc showing people's anger against the rulers, suddenly there jumped in a SPB song with unmistakable IR orch - so fitting to the situation and had me in pullarips - but it started in the middle of the saraNam and so took me a couple of seconds to figure out that it was a song dissed by me at the time of its arrival :lol: Gandhi dEsamE - a similar SPB-IR muzhakkam that failed to strike a chord in me when it came but worked big time with the reality visuals on Jaya TV).

Who knows, when placed in an appropriate setting, 'koovungaL sEvalkaLE' may hit me like 'adhO andhappaRavai pOla ' :roll:

Plum
21st July 2011, 03:04 PM
koovungaL sEvalgaLE could have been apt in the 1989 elections for ADMK(JJ)