PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

PARAMASHIVAN
19th May 2011, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NleLonB204&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
19th May 2011, 10:04 PM
ok, the time has come for a significant landmark album of Raja where SPB had two fantastic songs. (I reserve the more interesting song for tomorrow, Friday :wink: The other one is featured in this post)

It's common knowledge that those of IR's songs that "sounded different" from contemporary MDs have always been bigger hits, regardless of other innovations. These were achieved by him via many techniques - well, sometimes through technology (Priya the obvious example) but mostly by his innovative arrangements and unusual combination(s) of standard instruments.

On that count, it was a great moment when பகலில் ஒரு இரவு (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00476&lang=en) songs were first heard from a sound-service shop in the ground floor of a building in town while I was waiting in upper floor. (It was a wait in dentist's office for a relative while he was undergoing some treatment).

Wow, they were so different "sounding" and I was almost jumping! There was no doubt as to who the MD was as the first one heard was 'thOttam kaNda rAsAva', sung by IR himself. Getting blasted off from big box speakers with those terrific beats, tribal sounds and bass, they were so much thrilling to hear. 'thAmtha dheemtha' had the first-of-its-kind rhythm arrangement, with heavily boosted bass guitar sounds (well, for the time period) and I knew something extraordinary has arrived.

As I later learnt, it was not for a big name producer or star but got made in totally strange company. The director was I V Sasi, so infamous in TN for his "A" rated "AR" in which the actress was "his-wife-to-be-in-future". (It was many years later that I found out not all his Malayalam movies were "maRRa" kind. He was a highly successful commercial director in MFI).

Well, all that mattered was his combo with IR in TFM produced some of the top songs ever, especially going by bass guitar sounds.

#28, பொன்னாரம் பூவாரம் கண்ணோரம் சிருங்காரம்
(பகலில் ஒரு இரவு, 1979 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2633'&lang=en) had the advantages of both the bass-boosted sounds and typical-IR-70's instrumental arrangements combined with a killer melody. The wind instrument that responds after he sings ponnAram poovAram (is it shenoy) is so soothing and so are the flute passages through out the song!

SPB enjoys himself in the song, அப்படியே சொக்கிச்சொக்கி, இழைந்து இழைந்து பாடி இருக்கிறார். (அவருக்குக்"காலமெல்லாம் தேனிலவு" இருக்கக்கடவதாக!)

PARAMASHIVAN
19th May 2011, 10:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF58pBzAsLI&feature=player_detailpage

rajkumarc
20th May 2011, 02:57 AM
It was Colombo :(

I doubt its Colombo. It was shot in some outdoor hilly locale, with a river flowing by and all. Don't think its Ooty. A beautiful place that fits the songs mood perfectly.

V_S
20th May 2011, 08:12 AM
Beautiful post App as usual!. Great joy in listening to this album as a whole.
Thottam kanda rasave and thamtha dheemtha are very unique and innovative compositions, especially the later. The prelude (and second interlude) chorus with bass guitar is absolutely stunning. He has almost used chorus as if it is an instrument. The rhythm arrangement is very interesting.

Coming to Ponnaram Poovaram , lovely lovely song! But first time I am hearing SPB singing சீர் (seer) as "cheer". While the locations for this song are amazing, very funny to see the romance being one-sided. While Vijay kumar acts normally, Sridevi was very uncomfortable and with her artificial smile. I don't know why most of the IR beautiful and finest compositions are being visualized in an amateur way.:???:

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 02:54 PM
I doubt its Colombo. It was shot in some outdoor hilly locale, with a river flowing by and all. Don't think its Ooty. A beautiful place that fits the songs mood perfectly.

I read some where it was colombo! and Even my Parents think it was Colombo :)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 02:58 PM
Digression >> Just realised that When sudhakar sings ." Zeenat en kanavil vanthal" he was actually refering to Zeenat Amman ! :lol2: , epadiyellam yosikiraangappa :lol2: <<

groucho070
20th May 2011, 03:38 PM
I don't know why most of the IR beautiful and finest compositions are being visualized in an amateur way.:???:Great composer, lesser than mediocre filmakers. Eedukudukka mudiyala. This song was used as "alcohol" joke in a Vadivelu schtick. He tries to stop drinking, then others keep reminding of drinks, like whiskey, then someone comes along and sings this song with emphasis on "rammm"

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 03:44 PM
This song was used as "alcohol" joke in a Vadivelu schtick. He tries to stop drinking, then others keep reminding of drinks, like whiskey, then someone comes along and sings this song with emphasis on "rammm"

Yes That was a hilarious scene, pls remind me the name of the movie. Thanks

app_engine
20th May 2011, 05:29 PM
Coming to Ponnaram Poovaram , lovely lovely song! But first time I am hearing SPB singing சீர் (seer) as "cheer". While the locations for this song are amazing, very funny to see the romance being one-sided. While Vijay kumar acts normally, Sridevi was very uncomfortable and with her artificial smile.

The 'cheer' is possibly because of SasiyEttan. I've seen some of my Kumari district friends always pronouncing that Thamizh letter as 'ch'.

To Sridevi's defence, I think it's one of those "child in woman's body" roles and probably that's one of the reasons for her expressions. (That too one with some traumatic past). Even without discounting for that story background, I think this is one of the better picturisations for songs in TF. The settings are quite natural thanks to IVS (rich couple honey-mooning in a hill station like mooNAR, enjoying the surroundings - no awkward dance movements with Alps in background etc :wink: )

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 05:33 PM
App anna

Eagerly waiting for 'இளமையெனும் பூங்காற்று' song from you :)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 06:14 PM
Folks

There was another MSV+IR+SPB combo in the 90's If I remember correctly, it was a Prabhu/Sukanya Film. It had excellent SPB numbers like 'Chinna Chinna thooral enna ennai konjum saaral enna' , Kaalaiyuil poothathu kovil mani'. Can some one remind me the movie name pls.

V_S
20th May 2011, 07:18 PM
Folks

There was another MSV+IR+SPB combo in the 90's If I remember correctly, it was a Prabhu/Sukanya Film. It had excellent SPB numbers like 'Chinna Chinna thooral enna ennai konjum saaral enna' , Kaalaiyuil poothathu kovil mani'. Can some one remind me the movie name pls.
PS,
That is Senthamizh Paattu. Yes, beautiful melodies!

V_S
20th May 2011, 07:22 PM
Great composer, lesser than mediocre filmakers. Eedukudukka mudiyala. This song was used as "alcohol" joke in a Vadivelu schtick. He tries to stop drinking, then others keep reminding of drinks, like whiskey, then someone comes along and sings this song with emphasis on "rammm"
:lol: Oh no! I could not dare to see this song in such visuals. As App said, the original one is definitely not a spoiler with dances, just that the acting was amateur'ish.

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 07:43 PM
PS,
That is Senthamizh Paattu. Yes, beautiful melodies!

நன்றி :) I am going to try and get the DVD just for the song! One more song from the Movie. 'Adi komathaa engal kulamaath' . SPB :thumbsup:

app_engine
20th May 2011, 07:50 PM
just that the acting was amateur'ish.

Agree :-)

I'm reminded of the comment from one of my former teammates (a lady from AP) about Sridevi : "I can't stand her, she looks so childish in every romantic scene" :lol: Actually she told us more than once the same statement and each time I used to defend Sridevi, telling her to watch the Thamizh movie 'Johny' :wink:

Obviously, in P oru I, Sridevi was still in her "learning to act" stages. Ofcourse she had huge successes earlier with 3M & 16V but was still evolving. Since she started as a child artist in 60's, the confusion of whether to imitate the prior gen actresses or do something of her own affected naturalness during 70's, IMO.

app_engine
20th May 2011, 08:46 PM
#29 இளமை எனும் பூங்காற்று
பாடியது ஓர் பாட்டு
(பகலில் ஒரு இரவு, 1979 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2631'&lang=en)

'ஒரே வீணை, ஒரே ராகம்' - when someone listens to lines like this, it's just natural to imagine that this song is about music / musician. Add to that the pallavi that goes like 'பாடியது ஓர் பாட்டு'. So, this song got no objection anywhere - at homes, school functions or other auspicious occasions. Being blessed with my movie-watch-sabbatical, I was also blissfully unaware of what goes on screen. Still, I can now recall that this song created some 'இனம் புரியாத உணர்வுகள்' every time I heard during the teens :wink:

Easily Kavingar scores over SPB & IR in this towering song that was such a massive hit in TN / Srilanka and was a regular on radio for years! Unlike present, the primary source of music was radio and one wasn't in total control as to what to listen in a given time period. Also, no FM. AIR was horrible w.r.t TFM and IOKS was the primary source (I can't help keep repeating this thing here).

Despite all these, I would have listened to this song hundreds of times during my school years! It was sought after madly and paid attention to - wherever and whenever it came from!

I remember posting about this song earlier in "song last heard" thread and it's a regular listen even now, decades and 1000's of songs after its arrival. Such is its power! Any list I make for IR or SPB should have this number!

The flute, the strings, the choral harmony, the melody - all lift us up to a place of EkAntham - so serene as well as mirthful!

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 08:56 PM
One of the best Songs of IR + SPB , but the picturisation has spoiled it all, that to Sri devi's exposure! :banghead:

PARAMASHIVAN
20th May 2011, 09:40 PM
wow. Amazing, simply amazing SPB ji
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kOLgcCu3VQ&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
20th May 2011, 10:15 PM
I have three more movies and eight more SPB/IR songs from 1979. Interestingly, similar to 1978, there had not been a single dud song in this combo for the whole year! Some were more popular and others were 'radio-only-hits' but every one of them got noticed!

Also, by this time, the Raja brand was firmly established. IMSO, every song from IR-SPB combo created widespread enthu and expectation from the TFM listening community :-)

rajkumarc
21st May 2011, 11:09 AM
Ilamayenum Poongatru - I didn't even realize this is an erotic song until I saw the video of the song. Only after that I paid careful attention to the lyrics and I can only do a saashtanga namaskaram to Kaviarasar's writing. I don't think anyone else could portray love making in such a beautiful way and also making it so less obvious.

There was a video in youtube where SPB sings this song casually among his friends (Mohanram and someone else), couldn't find that video. SPB was truly enjoying himself when singing this song and thanked IR for giving him such a tune.

Great posts App, please don't stop.

app_engine
21st May 2011, 11:12 PM
One of the best Songs of IR + SPB , but the picturisation has spoiled it all, that to Sri devi's exposure! :banghead:

Director is IV Sasi :wink: And that's the movie's "theme scene / song etc". (i.e. nightly thing happens in daylight).

What else do you expect to see? :lol2:

app_engine
22nd May 2011, 02:43 AM
During the radio days, when they start announcing the next song, one's pulse used to raise in expectation.

They first announce the movie name, AhA, one of your favourties and you get thrilled. You're in anticipation of your fav song.

Then they start telling the name of the singer(s) and you're very happy when the announcer says SPB. You quickly start thinking which of your SPB favourties in that movie is this going to be. Well, your memory flashes two great SJ duets and you're debating which of those it's going to be and in great thrill as either is going to be a fantastic experience.

Alas, the announcer fails to mention SJ's name and stops with SPB's :-( You're so much in disappointment "வடை போச்சே"...

Well, it lasts only for a short moment as by the time SPB starts singing you've resigned to the conclusion "கிட்டிய வரை லாபம், ராசா இல்லாத அறுவைப்பாட்டா இருந்திருந்தா இதை விடக்கொடுமை தானே" and such samAthAnams. The disappointment totally goes away once SPB starts and makes you melt to his voice and one starts enjoying this solo - though rated last in that album, still much more tolerable than any non-IR number :-)

Well, this used to be my experience a number of times with our #30 for today, "யாரோ நீயும் நானும் யாரோ, யாரோ தாயும் தந்தை யாரோ"
(பட்டாக்கத்தி பைரவன், 1979 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2666'&lang=en), a radio-only-hit song. With typical IR chords and strings, a slow-lazy-sweetie!

V_S
22nd May 2011, 04:49 AM
Beautiful song. This song especially reminds me of voice changes by SPB. We know SPB used to change voice and slang for Kamal and Rajini, but this song can be heared in another different voice, similarly Muthal muthalaga, ilamai enum. I used to get amazed how SPB can sing in so many different voices for different actors.

app_engine
22nd May 2011, 06:18 PM
#31 வருவாய் கண்ணா நீராட
(பட்டாக்கத்தி பைரவன், 1979 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2665'&lang=en)

This now-forgotten song should be listened at least once by all Raja / SPB admirers!

Though the reason why it had air-time at the period of arrival was due to factors like Sivaji-movie-song & phenomenal popularity of the two SPB-SJ songs of the same film (i.e. poovOdu sErntha nAr technology), today, with none of those applicable, one can still find some charm in this song.

SPB's singing is obviously one. Changing voice like RDB - though for comical purpose, what a nice effort / effect! Another is IR's playfulness. Apart from adapting the mehboobA thingy, he made sure his signature trumpet sounds are placed appropriately and more importantly, conducted an interesting marriage between that Sholay classic and a south Indian semi classical! PS sings with utter seriousness and sweetness while the whole song is constructed as a funny kadhambam.

கேட்டுப்பாருங்க!

skr
22nd May 2011, 06:36 PM
Nice,
I also love another song from the same film the evergreen Engengo Sellum ..

tvsankar
22nd May 2011, 07:26 PM
app,
Radio days.. sadharana vishayam ilai...... ipo irukum FM madhiri nenachuka poranga..
Mor - just 15 min. dhan... film songs...... adhilum.. Naam school kelambum neram dhan... avasarama 1 paatu 2 paatu dhan kaeka mudiyum....... adharku piragu.. Sunday il varum - Neyar Virupam dhan.. idhu dhan 30 min or 45 min irukum...... andru dhan pudhu paatu elalm kaeka muidyum..
current pochu na pochu dhan.............. evvalavu sogam............. kobam........ Raja paatu kaeka mudiyalai.. miss panrom nu..........

Radio vil - meedhi neram elalm.. periyavangaluku than.. News dhan........... film songs ku 15 min dhan..........

veetu hall il dhan Radio irukum.... Friends and Guest vandhal pochu.. mudhal velai.. Radio vai niruthanam......
adhu sunday na.. oru kobam varum parunga.. vandhavanga melae... pasanga dhan paatu kaekanam.. (so guest or relatives or friends nu yaravadhu veetuk vandha,, ennal paatu kaeka mudiyadhu. en anna matum dhan paatu kaepan.. radio kitae poi.. chinnadha vechi... cinema and cinema paatu.. elalm thapppu kaariyam....... )
Girls ellam - cinema paatu kaeka kudadhu......... ( idhu dhan romba kodumai enaku.) hhahaa...
Ipadi kashta patttu.. kaeta Raja paatu.. Edhuvum enaku Great dhan........................ Raja music padam edhuvum enaku Great dhan.............

app_engine
23rd May 2011, 07:24 AM
Interesting experiences Usha chechi!

All troubles were applicable in my case as well (in our house dad was more of a terror, mostly only to boys)

groucho070
23rd May 2011, 08:27 AM
When growing up we had similar current problem, but what the heck backup-ku battery irukke :wink: App, for a horrible movie, PB have some fantastic songs. Waiting for more.

app_engine
23rd May 2011, 08:30 AM
backup-ku battery irukke :wink:

valve radio'nga, no battery possible :-(

Also, the "record player" had AC power with no backup. (All these were stories till 81, i.e. till the time I went to college)

groucho070
23rd May 2011, 08:36 AM
We had that radio when I was smaller. By the time I was 7/8 years old (1980/81), we had transistor with battery backup. The record player we had didn't have backup though.

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd May 2011, 03:15 PM
I used to get amazed how SPB can sing in so many different voices for different actors.

That is SPB ! :) He used to sing Rough for Rajni (mainly) and Soft for Kamal and extra soft for Mohan :)

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd May 2011, 03:18 PM
Ilamayenum Poongatru - I didn't even realize this is an erotic song until I saw the video of the song.. Me too , I was hoping to be some super romantic picturisation till I saw the film, and I was greeted with a shock of my life :lol:

// Sridevi has a vhild like face, she does not fit in glamour roles at all !! //

groucho070
23rd May 2011, 03:20 PM
I don't think so. It's according to the song. How would you explain, "Pesa koodathu" for Rajini and "Varuthu Varuthu" for Kamal. "ey atta atoorama" for Mohan could have easily been for Rajini. No, he sings the way the song needed to be sung.

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd May 2011, 03:36 PM
I don't think so. It's according to the song. How would you explain, "Pesa koodathu" for Rajini and "Varuthu Varuthu" for Kamal. "ey atta atoorama" for Mohan could have easily been for Rajini. No, he sings the way the song needed to be sung.

Rakesh bhai

You do have a point, but I meant was he "Mainly" changes his voice according to actors, if you notice all his songs for Shivaji, SPB brings out 'Gambeera' voice to suit NT, I can not recall many songs where SPB sings "softly" for NT, except (pottu vaitha mugamo, rajaathi varungadi puthiya raaja vai paarungadi ) , just my opinion I may be wrong :)

app_engine
23rd May 2011, 09:00 PM
#32 தேவதை ஒரு தேவதை
பறந்து வந்தாள் வென்றாள் சென்றாள்
(பட்டாக்கத்தி பைரவன், 1979 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2661'&lang=en)

Looking back, I'm now sure that this was the time period when SPB-SJ became my top duet-pair and they remain so till date :wink:

Ofcourse I liked them from 'thEn sindhudhE vAnam' days, i.e. pre-IR. It was one among the few cine song records our school had and was a regular in functions. (i.e. other than the weekly prayer-flag-hoist-assembly thingy, where only instrumentals were played apart from the customary நீராருங் கடலுடுத்த & ஜனகனமன with pupils in uniform).

We did have the awesome uRavAdum nenjam and the Bhuvana oru? pathos earlier but 1979 was the time when they made so strong an impression. So much that even MSV had to push his VJ bias aside and have SPB-SJ pair do the 'lA la lalla lA lA, lallA lA lA' for ninaiththAle inikkum's main song)!

PKB duets were among the top ones that created sensation. Thus making SPB-SJ my top fav to this day! These songs are so dear to me till now...after getting them as MP3s sometime back, they're regular on car. I've posted often about them in various threads here and don't think there's much to add here.

Since we talk about radio quite a bit, just one thing to remember about dEvathai (song of today) & engengO (song for tomorrow). Their stereo distribution of instruments / voices was quite weird. When AIR transmitted them using their mono equipment, there was no issue as all will be received bundled together in our radio. (I heard these songs max in my cousin's panasonic mono player those days and that didn't have any issue either).

OTOH, the technologically advanced IOKS had possibly stereo playback systems and may have even transmitted them as such. (It was only AM in MW / SW and I'm not sure whether they had stereo broadcast but at the minimum, should have had stereo play back). Often, only portions of the instruments / voices will be heard on the radio. The rest were so much attenuated and practically unheard.

Listen to these songs in headphone and you'll know what I'm talking about :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd May 2011, 09:06 PM
App Anna

Pattakathi Bhairavan is a NT film right ? :roll:

app_engine
23rd May 2011, 09:09 PM
App Anna

Pattakathi Bhairavan is a NT film right ? :roll:

Yes, at one time the comical video of 'engengO' was on youtube but don't think it's there anymore. I used to imagine that these songs were for a younger pair (I think the movie had Sridevi / Jaiganesh as another pair) but recently found out that 'engengO' was for Sivaji romance. Don't know about 'dEvathai' however...and don't want to take the risk :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd May 2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, at one time the comical video of 'engengO' was on youtube but don't think it's there anymore. I used to imagine that these songs were for a younger pair (I think the movie had Sridevi / Jaiganesh as another pair) but recently found out that 'engengO' was for Sivaji romance. Don't know about 'dEvathai' however...and don't want to take the risk :wink: Oh The Only Male Singer in this movie is SPB ( http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00482) :shock: How come IR did not use TMS as it was NT film ?? I mean TMS was able to sing in 1979 right ?

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd May 2011, 09:18 PM
Oh the song was not for NT :( it was for Jaiganesh and Sridevi :|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tufh87q6SU&feature=player_detailpage

tvsankar
24th May 2011, 12:03 AM
app,
Thanks for the pick.. Thanks to the nice write up.

Headphone il kaetka.......... S... apodhu dhan Rajavin Musical Decoration ai enjoy panna muidyum...

Radio vil kaetadhum - sudden chage of Raja.. konjam accept pannika mudiyadha composiition.. padam parthu.. inum nondhu pona experience...........
anal,
kalam poga poga.. veru oru Raja theriya theirya.. idhu Great endru manadhu unardhu kolla arambithadhu.
About the Orchestration - soothing.........sweet................. soft................... lovable........
idhai pola paatai patri.. ipodhu purindhu konda vishayam - Gazal type endru........

Devadhai - Pahadi ragam kandu pidika therindha pin.. indha paatin mel affection adhigam agi vittadhu.

Instrumentation - Violin - enna oru speed.. enna oru notes..

FLute - kulakaludan konjum.... kuzhandhiayin Thalir nadai madhiri.. kuzhandhai vizhundhu vidumo endru bayathodu parka vaikum oru nadai.... adhu pola indha flute... ipadi kashta padaradhae .. nu......
Nichayam Flute Vasithavarai migavum ninaithu kolven............. The Greatest Breath Control...........

Beats - mudhal mudhal kaetadhum.. Acharyamaga kaeten... vidham vidhama varugiradhu.. Nirkamal varugiradhae.. epadi.. enna endru..
andha acharyamum.. asaiyum.. ithanai varudam agiyum siridhum kuraiyavillai............

SPB and SJ - Raja compositiion il niraiya expectation ai yerpaduthinargal..................

tvsankar
24th May 2011, 12:05 AM
inum oru vishayam - Instruments - indha paatai apodhu kaeta podhu - ondrum theriyadhu.. instruments patri.. raja songs il therindhu kolla
arambitha pin.. paatin mel asai adhigam dhan agi irukiradhu..
indha paatil varum - Key Board.. ipodhu dhan therindhu konden.. idharkaga inum 10 varudam indha paatai kaepen. hahaha...........

app_engine
24th May 2011, 12:17 AM
I mean TMS was able to sing in 1979 right ?

Per mu kA Azhagiri, TMS is able to sing even today :wink:

Possibly IR's difficulties with TMS started in 1979 itself and within a year or so they stopped working together...

app_engine
24th May 2011, 12:19 AM
நன்றி உஷா சேச்சி!

தேவதை மிகவும் மென்மையான பாடல்!

இசைக்கருவிகளின் குறும்பு இருந்தாலும், பாடகர்களின் மென்மை மனதை அப்படியே மயிலிறகு கொண்டு வருடும்!

groucho070
24th May 2011, 06:43 AM
Rakesh bhai

You do have a point, but I meant was he "Mainly" changes his voice according to actors, if you notice all his songs for Shivaji, SPB brings out 'Gambeera' voice to suit NT, I can not recall many songs where SPB sings "softly" for NT, except (pottu vaitha mugamo, rajaathi varungadi puthiya raaja vai paarungadi ) , just my opinion I may be wrong :)I'll stick by that. If you notice the subsequent writeup about Pattakatti Bhairavan songs, SPB just sang them the way they should, none of "for NT only" style.

Of course, the man is also a master mimic artist, if you notice the more comedic songs. Like "Enggenggum Kanden amma" (Ulllasa Paravaigal) was originally meant for Tenggai (he didn't act, his role was taken by VA Moorthy). He did Suruli in one movie, then Kamal's Jappanil Kalyanaraman for Kalyanam (two songs I think), and the most impressive was for Radha Ravi channeling his dad's voice in one Prabhu film (Appan Peechu ketpavan yaaru). How can one forget the opening "Yen jodi manja kuruvi" for the effeminate Janagaraj!

app_engine
24th May 2011, 08:22 AM
Of course, the man is also a master mimic artist, if you notice the more comedic songs.

groucho, who is on screen for the 'mehboobA' portions of 'varuvAi kaNNA neerAda' in PKB?

groucho070
24th May 2011, 08:32 AM
Oh man, I seriously forgot the movie. I must have ejected the deck (VHS) somewhere halfway, sorry app. I'll redirect this question at the NT's thread, the seniors can help.

PARAMASHIVAN
24th May 2011, 03:06 PM
How can one forget the opening "Yen jodi manja kuruvi" for the effeminate Janagaraj!

:shock: It was for Janakaraj ! Fantastic song, all these time I was thinking the song was for Kamal :oops:

groucho070
24th May 2011, 03:10 PM
Just the opening, Raghu. Then, Kamal will take over, SPB voice back to normal.

PARAMASHIVAN
24th May 2011, 03:16 PM
Just the opening, Raghu. Then, Kamal will take over, SPB voice back to normal.

Oh OK :) .

app_engine
24th May 2011, 05:17 PM
Thank you groucho for posting the PBK question in NT thread :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
24th May 2011, 09:08 PM
Folks

which film is this song from ? and was the MSV ?
>>
kalyaana raamankkum kannaana janakikkum
kaadal vantha yogam ennovo
<<

PARAMASHIVAN
24th May 2011, 09:11 PM
Are the Following songs SPB+MSV Combo :confused2:

1) Maargazhi paniyil mayangiya nilavil
2) Thendralukku endrum vayathu
3)Maathamo aavani
4) Mullilaa roja

Thanks

app_engine
24th May 2011, 09:11 PM
#33 எங்கெங்கோ செல்லும் என் எண்ணங்கள்
இங்கே தான் கண்டேன் பொன் வண்ணங்கள் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2662'&lang=en)
(பட்டாக்கத்தி பைரவன், 1979 )

One of the all-time-popular great songs from the IR-SPB-SJ combo. This morning I saw that it's again on youtube :wink: The director should be given "top among killers of great IR songs on screen" award! (Ofcourse, Sivaji has to share part of the credit).

A song way ahead of its time in orchestration and sounds (although the stereo distribution was improper IMO as already mentioned in the dEvadhai post).

If anyone who was a TN teen in 1979 who listened to this song and still not become a fanatic of IR-SPB-SJ combo, he / she is a rare breed, IMO.

PARAMASHIVAN
24th May 2011, 09:12 PM
Oru kadhal devathai iru kanmnnil poomazhai ival raaja vamsamo rathi devi amsamO - This sound so much like IR composition pls clarify, thanks

app_engine
24th May 2011, 09:16 PM
Oru kadhal devathai iru kanmnnil poomazhai ival raaja vamsamo rathi devi amsamO - This sound so much like IR composition pls clarify, thanks

Param, that is #6 of our series :-) (movie sAyndhAdammA sAyndhAdu)

PARAMASHIVAN
24th May 2011, 09:23 PM
Param, that is #6 of our series :-) (movie sAyndhAdammA sAyndhAdu)

Oh thanks .... :)

app_engine
24th May 2011, 11:47 PM
When engengO was originally written about in the SOTD thread of tfmpage (and now featured in dhool.com), there were some hilarious comments (http://tfmpage.com/forum/archives/3850.20880.03.21.22.html) :lol: Please don't miss these...

Samples :

Jagapathi Art Pictures' Pattakkathi Bhairavan finds place effortlessly among Sivaji's worst films ever. Bizzare wigs, ballooned belly, bell-bottoms, bright coats of incredible hues--these were Sivaji's bedfellows, and he was at his cacophonous loudest

I think this film was produced by Rajendra Prasad (Telugu).In one of RP s earlier production "engaL thanga Raaja" Sivaji played the character "Pattakathi Bhairavan".So RP must have thought it apt to name this misadventure II "PB".

Sivaji s "Kuppai thotti" dialogue was famous and some review rightly remarked how nice it would be to dump the movie in the same "Kuppai Thotti".

On the song,well,vijay i am now seriously considering....afterall Mohan/Murali have now sivaji s company.Saravanan I strongly object to your comments on Sivaji.Only Sivaji fanatics have the right to comment Sivaji s coat,wigs etc .Drawing an extraordinary comparison.....only bharathi can call Kannan en sevagan not Periyar or even ordinary bhakthargaL.

OISG, Believe it or not I was thinking about your "vizhalukku iraitha neer" comment yesterday night when I saw this song as SOTD. Have you considered Sudhakar yet? :-)

Vijay, OISG--descending deeper--what about Vijayan(Niram Maaratha Pookal), Chakravarthi (Thaippongal), Vasanth (Mella Pesungal), The two Shekhars (Nizhalgal), Pandiyan, Thyagarajan,--Poor IR!

I remember discussing this song with SL once ina nother thread about the loss of shruthi in TFM songs. At exactly 0:34 mins SPB's "pon vaNNaNgaL" is out of shruthi in this fabulous song. SL had earlier found that SJ had missed shruthi in this song.

groucho070
25th May 2011, 06:55 AM
:lol: I'd already commented on the film. Fault is not NT's alone. He's only actor for hire. Unfortunately, the songs are so awesome, the name Pattakatti Bairavan will not disappear anytime soon.

V_S
25th May 2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks App for posting the archives. Nice to read their thoughts. It's surprising to hear SPB singing out of sruthi, but I hear off-key when he sings 'Pon' in 'Pon Vannangal', but it sounds so due to some recording error, it sounds little low in volume during that word. But it's amazing that they find these nuances.

groucho070
25th May 2011, 07:47 AM
SPB-kittave kurai kandupidinggkurangganaa periya tillalanggadithaan....

V_S
25th May 2011, 07:58 AM
SPB-kittave kurai kandupidinggkurangganaa periya tillalanggadithaan....
Yes, definitely, because heard this song so many times, but this word happens for a fraction of second, so it is very easy to escape our ears, but their 'thoondil' is so powerful that they caught this. :smile:

Sureshs65
25th May 2011, 02:13 PM
I think the reason for Sivaji's bell bottoms and wigs must have been the fact that this was a Telugu movie remake. Those days bell bottoms and fancy wigs for people like Satyanarayana, Tyagaraju and other villains was the order of the day. The hero's also wore such ridiculous costumes while the parents wore dhotis and 'kadhar' jibbas. IIRC, the Telugu original was a Krishnam Raju movie titled 'Kathula Ratiah'.

groucho070
25th May 2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks Suresh, that sort of brightens up my day a bit...like his costume :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
25th May 2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks App for posting the archives. Nice to read their thoughts. It's surprising to hear SPB singing out of sruthi, but I hear off-key when he sings 'Pon' in 'Pon Vannangal', but it sounds so due to some recording error, it sounds little low in volume during that word. But it's amazing that they find these nuances.

:shock: :shock: :shock: which song pls ?? I just can't believe this! :shock:

V_S
25th May 2011, 07:29 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: which song pls ?? I just can't believe this! :shock:
We were talking about the same song 'Engenge sellum'. Please refer to post#558 and the comments by MS (from archives) where he mentions about this.

app_engine
25th May 2011, 08:06 PM
this was a Telugu movie remake

From the tfmpage archives, it seems PKB was a remake of Hindi 'parvarish' (not that it makes any difference, just an info) :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
25th May 2011, 08:20 PM
We were talking about the same song 'Engenge sellum'. Please refer to post#558 and the comments by MS (from archives) where he mentions about this.

:oops: thanks ...

app_engine
25th May 2011, 08:26 PM
#34 வா பொன்மயிலே, நெஞ்சம் ஏக்கத்தில் தவிக்குது
(பூந்தளிர், 1979 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2822'&lang=en)

The very beginning of this song brings that old world charm. Places one on an instant time machine to reach late 70's / radio era / IOKS evenings etc!

What a coherent beauty in SPB's voice, nice tablA and sweet strings! The songs that I love most have always had that smoothest transition from saraNam back to pallavi (or interlude to saraNam). This one is a quintessential example. Even the lyric is written in a way that the end of the saraNam has some enticing thing stating which the boy calls the girl, like, "iNAinthu makizha -vA pon mayilE". Very nice saraNam melody - begins kind of slow, gets some instrumental help as call-response, then picks up the pace with some quick syllables and finally - like a "uRichcha gnArippoovan into mouth" rolls back to pallavi.

Magic!

PARAMASHIVAN
25th May 2011, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o6pxgJIli0&feature=player_detailpageEspecially the lines
" boomiyin neela niram
kannalandhadho
azhagae sugam valara valara
ninaive dhinam pazhaga pazhaga
simply awesome, what a heavnley voice! Highly addictive ! Miss those days Really badly :(

SPB's "Masculine" voice dont suit SK at all :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
25th May 2011, 08:50 PM
App anna

There is a song called 'அட என்னட பொல்லாத வழக்கை ....... இதுக்குபோய் அலடிக்கலாமா ' it is sounds as though this song was sang for drunkard in the film. SPB thaanE thanni potathu pola paaduvar :lol:

Do you know which film it is from ?

thanks

app_engine
25th May 2011, 09:05 PM
App anna

There is a song called 'அட என்னட பொல்லாத வழக்கை ....... இதுக்குபோய் அலடிக்கலாமா ' it is sounds as though this song was sang for drunkard in the film. SPB thaanE thanni potathu pola paaduvar :lol:

Do you know which film it is from ?

thanks

thappuththALangaL (KB director, Rajinikanth hero, Vijayabaskar MD)

PARAMASHIVAN
25th May 2011, 09:10 PM
thappuththALangaL (KB director, Rajinikanth hero, Vijayabaskar MD)

:shock: oh thanks, this is my 'only' rajni film, which I have not watched ! :oops:

genesis
25th May 2011, 10:47 PM
#33 எங்கெங்கோ செல்லும் என் எண்ணங்கள்
இங்கே தான் கண்டேன் பொன் வண்ணங்கள் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2662'&lang=en)
(பட்டாக்கத்தி பைரவன், 1979 )

One of the all-time-popular great songs from the IR-SPB-SJ combo. This morning I saw that it's again on youtube :wink: The director should be given "top among killers of great IR songs on screen" award! (Ofcourse, Sivaji has to share part of the credit).

A song way ahead of its time in orchestration and sounds (although the stereo distribution was improper IMO as already mentioned in the dEvadhai post).

If anyone who was a TN teen in 1979 who listened to this song and still not become a fanatic of IR-SPB-SJ combo, he / she is a rare breed, IMO.

I am tempted to put this song in Priya Album. It has got that "foreign" feel to it and the orchestration of the song somehow reminds me of Ennuyir Neethaane..... Could it have been originally composed for Priya? Was Priya before or after PKB?

The only thing that does not match is SPB... Priya was all KJY.

rajkumarc
26th May 2011, 01:09 AM
App - Lovely pick in Vaa Pon Mayile, my favorite from Poonthalir. I too love the way the saranam joins the pallavi as pointed out by you. Can keep listening to this song forever in loop.

Genesis - Priya released in 1978 as per rakkamma.com and so is before PKB.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th May 2011, 04:53 PM
All your posts make me want to see Patakathi Bhairavan :)

app_engine
26th May 2011, 07:52 PM
Param :-)
இத்தனை பேர் இவ்வளவு சொல்லிய பிறகும் நீங்கள் அதைப்பார்க்கணும்னு முடிவு பண்ணினா என்ன சொல்ல? என்ஜாய் :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
26th May 2011, 08:12 PM
Param :-)
இத்தனை பேர் இவ்வளவு சொல்லிய பிறகும் நீங்கள் அதைப்பார்க்கணும்னு முடிவு பண்ணினா என்ன சொல்ல? என்ஜாய் :lol:

இதற்கு ராகேஷ் அண்ணா பதில் கூறுவார் :lol2: :yessir:

app_engine
26th May 2011, 09:00 PM
#35 மனதில் என்ன நினைவுகளோ
(பூந்தளிர், 1979) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2820'&lang=en)

Kind of smooth-jazz-like number sung by the brother-sister pair (SPB/SPS). I remember someone complaining in tfmpage about the higher levels in recording for the instruments. Personally, I found the "marakas" sound somewhat loud during the radio days (or some equivalent instrument that produces the high frequency rhythm sound).

The song overall, though, is a soft & sweet one, especially the humming parts are lovable. Lead guitar is freely used in the song and so was possibly the "key board". The instrumental postlude followed by the humming harmony of the voices is quite enjoyable - one would initially think that there's going to be another stanza but the song ends.

It was a regular on radio and was among the early popular numbers of Shailaja. Helped by her brother's popularity as well as a unique voice / way of singing, Shailaja had possibly a hundred hits or so in her career (and a big % of them came under IR's baton). I remember reading a kumudam feature where Shailaja & Jency met together and shared their TFM field experiences, a treat to read those days (don't remember which year). At that point of time, Shailaja had already crossed her 100 in movie songs while Jency didn't and that count-compare was part of their conversation. Along with chinnappuRa onRu, this was SPS's second number for the year with SPB / IR.

I'll write about the third number tomorrow, one of her very best :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
26th May 2011, 09:09 PM
App anna

Though I like SPS voice, I liked Jency's voice more :)

app_engine
27th May 2011, 08:02 PM
#36 மாமன் ஒரு நாள் மல்லிகப்பூ கொடுத்தான்
(ரோசாப்பூ ரவிக்கைக்காரி, 1979 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3146'&lang=en)

We've arrived at the last movie of 1979 in the IR/SPB combo (i.e. alphabetically). This was a movie by Devaraj-Mohan, the same director pair that did IR's first one, with the same Sivakumar. Advertised as Sivakumar's 100th, this was a successful movie - though he didn't have a "heroic" role. It had fantastic songs, all four of them, with SPB in 50% of them. (non-SPB songs 'were veththala veththala veththalayO' by MV and 'ennuLLil engO Engum geetham' by VJ).

Today's song, along with the other mAmEin song of murattukkALai is easily among my top 10 SPS songs. (rAsAvE onna nAn, vAn pOlE vaNNam koNdu, EthO kanavukaL ninaivukaL, sAmakkOzhi, sOlaikkuyilE, Ayiram malargaLE should all automatically find their places with veeraiyA veeraiyA a prospect).

With the excellent nAttuppuRa humming start, SPS sounds so native to a TN village. She is amazing through out the song as a native and SPB provides nice support. Raja is in his "comfort zone" of country drums, morsing, kuRumbu sounds by solo instruments etc, the tune being most pleasant in the 'malligappoo vAsam, En mAmen mEla veesum' part :-)

RR songs were a rage in all territories - radio, functions (both box speaker & kOlambi speaker kinds), buses and tea-shops. An album with a heady mix of emotions!

genesis
28th May 2011, 01:37 AM
I was almost certain app is going to go past RR without featuring any song from it. Great Relief!!

RR was way ahead of it's time and it was a controversial adult movie from that era. Me and my brother are generally taken along to movies with my mom. But we are left to the care of some neighbors when my mom went to see this one. We both were elementary school kids and I am almost certain we would have not liked this movie. (We mostly cared whether there any flight sequences in the movie. If not, it is not worth watching the movie at all).

SPJ singing is great in this song!!

One question to app... What is the reason you feature "matter" songs on every Friday? We had "Ilamai Enum Poongaatru" last week.

baroque
28th May 2011, 04:42 AM
ரோசாப்பூ ரவிக்கைக்காரி ... wow , wonderful job , app _eng ..folkish இளையராஜா's best

என்னுள்ளில் எங்கோ.....what a dizzy height இளையராஜா takes வாணி

உச்சி வகுடெடுத்து.....rustic pathos

(சென்னி குலநகர் வாசன் ......காவடி சிந்து... அண்ணாமலை ரெட்டியார்
வள்ளிக் கணவன் பேரை வழிப்போக்கன் சொன்னாலும்
உள்ளம் குழையுதடி கிளியே
ஊனும் உருகுதடி கிளியே....who can forget this காவடி சிந்து! என் வீட்டு தோட்டத்தில் பூவெல்லாம் கேட்டுப்பார் என் வீட்டு ஜன்னல் கம்பி எல்லாமே கேட்டுப்பார்.....நாத விந்து கலா தீ நமோ நம....அருணகிரிநாதர்.)

வெத்தல வெத்தல....வாசு's ராகம் செஞ்சுருட்டி improvisation with conversations ..oh , I finally got it in a collection - MY FAVORITES BEST HITS OF இளையராஜா .

glorious 80s இளையராஜா , we லவ்,
வினதா.

groucho070
28th May 2011, 07:43 AM
:shock: oh thanks, this is my 'only' rajni film, which I have not watched ! :oops:So you have watched all other Rajini movies? Come on, this is a must watch for any Rajini or K. Balachander fans, mate. In fact I rate this higher than Aval Appadithan, in the so-called "serious" kinda category.

V_S
28th May 2011, 08:36 AM
So you have watched all other Rajini movies? Come on, this is a must watch for any Rajini or K. Balachander fans, mate. In fact I rate this higher than Aval Appadithan, in the so-called "serious" kinda category.
Yes, I still remember my mother and aunt went for this movie and I wanted to go, they denied as it is not for us kids.:smile: But they really liked the film and they were discussing about the film long time after they came back from the film. I have not watched it, but heard it is a fantastic film by KB and excellent acting by Rajini and Saritha, but as usual didn't go well for the brutal reality shown by KB.

groucho070
28th May 2011, 12:39 PM
V_S, sinna vayasula enakkum ban-than. But afterhigh school, suddenly KL was showing old films. My buddy, my brother and I managed to catch Adimai Penn which we saw on TV before, and this which we haven't seen at all. Athuvaraikkin, okay actor-a nenechittirunthe naama, he's a damned good actor-nu rank panna vachathe intha padamthaan. The scene of him beating the crap out of the union leader with cycle chain is haunting, for me at least. So brutal, though you don't see much injury or blood. Sorry for digression guys, but this is Raghu's thread and I hope he doesn't mind occasional veering offs like this.

app_engine
28th May 2011, 05:38 PM
V_S, sinna vayasula enakkum ban-than.

Those were times when children were strictly forbidden for "A" rated movies. I think the satellite TV network killed all that discipline. (I remember Sun TV showing 'sigappu rOjAkkaL' during day time :shock:)

app_engine
28th May 2011, 05:41 PM
Thank you genesis & baroque!

As this exercise is to remember all the hit songs from SPB-IR combo, how can I miss RR?

It would have been a great disservice!

app_engine
28th May 2011, 06:04 PM
#37 உச்சி வகுந்தெடுத்து பிச்சிப்பூ வச்ச கிளி
(ரோசாப்பூ ரவிக்கைக்காரி, 1979 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3147'&lang=en)

We're coming to the conclusion of IR-SPB 70's hits with this glorious number. Like I mentioned earlier, none of this combo songs of 1979 was a dud -they were at least radio-only-hits!

Technically speaking, this song also has SPS with her brother (the AreerArO humming of first interlude is credited to her). However, by the time the song progresses with SPB doing all great things, one forgets there's even a female voice in the song. The udukkai sound along with SPB's rArArArA humming in 3rd interlude is pullarippu stuff - then & now. Actually, the moment the prelude starts, one gets silirppu - what a grand combo or morsing, bass, flute and then lead guitar! Raja had already mastered the art of pizhinjifying hearts with his music, so early in his career!

By this time, I've started reading short stories as well as thodarkadhais of AV/Kumudam along with their movie reviews and the story of the movie was somewhat known when listening to the song (Obviously, I wasn't fully familiar with "details" of what marital infidelity involves...all that we teens knew then was hugging / kissing were allowed only for hero / heroine or husband / wife. Most used to think that a man simply tying a yellow thread to a woman will result in the miracle of a child :wink:).

So, for most part, the meaning of this song wasn't well-understood but the sweetness of music and SPB's perfect emoting made this song such a sensational favourtite among all age groups!

Classic / evergreen song!

app_engine
28th May 2011, 06:15 PM
Shortcuts for posts on all the 37 glorious hits of IR/SPB combination from the 70's (i.e. 1976-79, only TFM) :
Intro (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=676906&viewfull=1#post676906)
#001 nAn pEsa vandhEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=676910&viewfull=1#post676910)
#002 nenachchathellAm nadakkappORa (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=677610&viewfull=1#post677610)
#003 oru nAL unnOdu oru nAL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=677757&viewfull=1#post677757)
#004 vizhiyilE malarndhadhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=678096&viewfull=1#post678096)
#005 rAjA enbAr manthiri enbAr (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=678379&viewfull=1#post678379)
#006 oru kAdhal dEvadhai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=678979&viewfull=1#post678979)
#007 thAlAttu piLLai uNdu thAlAttu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=679410&viewfull=1#post679410)
#008 en kaNmaNi un kAdhali (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=679826&viewfull=1#post679826)
#009 kAvErikkarai OraththilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=680500&viewfull=1#post680500)
#010 ennadi meenAtchi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=680519&viewfull=1#post680519)
#011 orE nAL unai nAn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=680827&viewfull=1#post680827)
#012 mEghamE thoothAga vA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=681251&viewfull=1#post681251)
#013 rAman ANdAlum rAvaNan AndAlum (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=681930&viewfull=1#post681930)
#014 sorggam madhuvilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=682346&viewfull=1#post682346)
#015 kaNmaNiyE kAdhal enbadhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=682894&viewfull=1#post682894)
#016 chinnappuRA onRu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=683304&viewfull=1#post683304)
#017 appanE appanE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=683783&viewfull=1#post683783)
#018 nadhiyOram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=683948&viewfull=1#post683948)
#019 nandhavanaththil vandha kuyilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=684307&viewfull=1#post684307)
#020 hEy mastAnA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=684788&viewfull=1#post684788)
#021 kuRinji malaril vazhindha rasaththai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=685316&viewfull=1#post685316)
#022 abisheka nEraththil ambALai tharisikka (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=686363&viewfull=1#post686363)
#023 mayilE mayilE un thOgai engE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=686747&viewfull=1#post686747)
#024 pooppOlE un punnagaiyil (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=687031&viewfull=1#post687031)
#025 ennOdu pAdungaL nalvAzhththu pAdalkaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=687421&viewfull=1#post687421)
#026 thiruththEril varum silaiyO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=687733&viewfull=1#post687733)
#027 muthal muthalAga kAdhal duet (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=688253&viewfull=1#post688253)
#028 ponnAram poovAram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=688718&viewfull=1#post688718)
#029 iLamaiyenum poongARRu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=689098&viewfull=1#post689098)
#030 yArO neeyum nAnum yArO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=689483&viewfull=1#post689483)
#031 varuvAy kaNNA neerAda (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=689636&viewfull=1#post689636)
#032 dEvadhai oru dEvadhai (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=690125&viewfull=1#post690125)
#033 engengO sellum en eNNangaL (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=690512&viewfull=1#post690512)
#034 vA pon mayilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=691010&viewfull=1#post691010)
#035 manadhil enna ninaivukaLO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=691357&viewfull=1#post691357)
#036 mAmEin oru nAL malligappoo koduthAn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=691560&viewfull=1#post691560)
#037 uchchi vagundheduththu pichchippoo (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=691854&viewfull=1#post691854)

Sureshs65
28th May 2011, 07:05 PM
app,

Superb effort and writing. Do continue. You have a huge task ahead in the 80s. I am sure you next quarter or half year is booked :)

V_S
28th May 2011, 07:55 PM
App,
I appreciate your tremendous dedication and effort in reviving this thread. :clap: Through you we already saw how IR's musical journey started and flourished in 70's and got to hear many beautiful gems in that period. Thanks a lot!

rajkumarc
29th May 2011, 12:45 AM
Splendid effort App :clap: Your posts invoking nostalgia is as sweet as listening to those unforgettable songs.

baroque
29th May 2011, 01:45 AM
wow! app_eng rocks

neatly featured songs links gathered for us to enjoy conveniently....
too many choices .... many more to be featured soon ...
நான் ஒரு loving gift from இளையராஜா-பாலா எடுத்துக்கறேன் for my pleasure this lazy lunch hr
love,
vinatha.

app_engine
29th May 2011, 07:05 PM
Thank you Sureshji, V_S, rajkumarc & baroque!

80's is going to be a bigger group for this combo - yes, few more months are advance booked :-)

app_engine
30th May 2011, 07:48 AM
#38 காட்டில் ஒரு சிங்கக்குட்டியாம்
(அன்புக்கு நான் அடிமை, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0227'&lang=en)

Alphabetically the first movie of the 80's where IR & SPB worked together. Another Devar films movie with Rajinikanth & IR. Being Devar films, animal references were inevitable and this song features lion cub, though not literally referring to one. I remember seeing posters of this movie where Rajini is shown with a leopard (is it really there in the movie?). In any case, another forest related movie I think.

Raja introduces "sounds" from some new toys (ofcourse, synth. Now don't tell me he got spoilt with synth only after the arrival of later day whiz-kids :wink:). The prelude itself has that vague-chipmunk-like sound which continues thru out the song (in the pallavi, that sound is the response to SPB's singing). One can also hear some wild-animal sounds here and there in the song.

Nevertheless, a sweet / simple tune and some cheerful singing by SPB. I've posted in another thread that IR gets some extra thrill when someone asks him to tell a story thru a song and this is one of them. (Another similar one with strange sounds that quickly comes to mind is the 'narikkadhai' by Kamal -Sridevi in moonRAm piRai).

Well, it won't be unfair to say that IR got inspired by some prior-era masters in this area (poo poovA paRandhu pOgum pattuppoochchi akkA by MSV in dhikkuththeriyAtha kAttil, kadavuL amaiththu vaiththa mEdai by the mellisai mannar again in AOT come to mind immediately).

The song was very popular - both on radio and other media (adhAvadhu teakkadai, horn speaker, bus etc). The movie's popularity and 'by-this-time-super-star-titled-hero' too helped in getting the song a wider reach. I think a real-life-black-belt acted as the villain in this movie (and you know how he would've got battered on screen by the charming hero :wink: )

groucho070
30th May 2011, 08:01 AM
Enna app, appo padam ellam parkurathillaiya? ANA is one of those rare animal-ess Devar films of that time. No, I don't remember any Leopard. Raasi-kaaga poster-la pOturuppangga. Karate mani's debut I think? Rajini impersonates a cop in a village, the very cop to be there was actually his long lost brother whom he "killed" on the way there.

Anyway, can't wait for the duet. :smile:

Plum
30th May 2011, 02:36 PM
Oh yeah I have seen this in Telugu as well with Rajini himself(I think Chakravarthy took over the music though). One of those watched-many-times-in-theatre movies.

The songs were taken-for-granted hits. kAthOdu poo urasa is a lovely, lovely song, a rare SPB-Suseela one under IR.

App, what you are doing is tilting me further towards "70s Raja is the greatest" position. Somehow, I feel, the sheer magic in those songs is unreplicable even by Raja of 80s, 90s and now, gigantic greats as these later songs are, they still dont match up.

groucho070
30th May 2011, 02:56 PM
What? Totally different music/song in Telugu?

Plum
30th May 2011, 03:07 PM
A different cast(bar Rajini) as well. I cant remember the songs but I vaguely remember anodyne stuff - most likely not Raja. Chakravarthy was an educated guess - given the time period, he was the most likely candidate so adichchu vuttEn ;-)

app_engine
30th May 2011, 07:35 PM
groucho, sabbatical was between 7th & 12th grade - that was till 1981 :-)

Plum, please wait till the likes of nizhalgaL arrive, for balancing :wink:

balaji
30th May 2011, 07:47 PM
Plum

Suttufied form some website:

Looks like Rajini, Rathi and Sujatha retained in the Telugu version, including Raja

=======================================
Mayadari Krishnudu was one of the tollywood movie released in the year of 1980 produced by C Dhandayudapani and was directed by R Thyagarajan. Music was composed by Ilayaraja. Acharya Aathreya penned lyrics for this movie and SP Balasubramanyam, P Susheela, P Sarada, P Anu shared their voice for playback. Main cast includes Rajnikanth, Sridhar, Rathi, Sujatha, Allu Ramalingayya, KV Chalam and many others. A Complete family oriented movie and the complete backdrop will runs in a village.

===========================================

app_engine
30th May 2011, 08:24 PM
#39 காத்தோடு பூ உரச, பூவ வண்டுரச
உன்னோடு நான், என்னோடு நீ
பூவா, காத்தா உரச?
(அன்புக்கு நான் அடிமை, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0226'&lang=en)

groucho & Plum have already mentioned about this hugely popular SPB-PS duet from the same movie (Rajini-Rathi romance possibly). Obviously, none of those popular references (star / movie) had any relevance in my case. It was purely IR magic that took me to this song, apart from the superb singing by both PS & SPB. (PS loosens up a bit in this song to adapt to IR brand folkism, IMO).

This song is an evidence of what characterized IR's music during most of early 80's - going after hitherto unknown patterns, i.e. unknown to him or others. In other words, innovation / trying to experiment. The rhythm arrangement / pattern in this song is an example! Tabla started taking all kinds of avatars in IR songs from this time period - mostly going away from previously known patterns that were all tried out during 70's. Well, it started earlier here and there (thAmtha dheemtha, for e.g.) but from 1980, it became the norm. Possibly IR was consiously trying to form his new brand / set new trends etc (and go away from "only folk" "away from folk means sounding like MSV/KVM" etc).

This was new Raja for us who were accustomed to looking for such things in Raja by this time. In fact, every music I heard during my +2 days were evaluated as "what's new in this? sounds? beats? patterns? combo of instruments? etc". I remember a function in Madurai collector office where one Shivshankar's music was being played before it started. While the lead melody was in sitar, there were fusion arrangements with western instruments and some interesting rhythm patterns! It was around that time that I wanted some kind of fusion in every Raja song!

I still don't know what fusion exists in 'kAthOdu poo urasa' (lacking music knowledge) but I'm pretty sure it's a mix of genres by IR to create his newer brand...

baroque
30th May 2011, 09:15 PM
எனக்கு கமல், ரஜினி etc ... அந்த palace and streets wall posters லே தான் தெரியும்.

even in posters many of these fellows face அரை குறையாதான் தெரியும்.

இந்த சிவாஜி, MGR , ரஜினி, கமல் etc ... different fellows ஓட different தீபாராதனை கும்பல்கள், opposite /வேற actor posters மேலே cow dung அடிச்சு வைச்சுருக்கும் ...

இளையராஜா பாடல்களை ரோட்டில் கேட்டுக்கொண்டே, friends கூட பாண்டி விளையாடிண்டு , இந்த fellows லூட்டியை வேடிக்கை பாக்கறதுதான் என்னோட after school/ home work entertainment until my mom arrived from her work .

but songs , songs , songs , radio & tea shops blast .... அது போதும். Golden Ilayaraaja period.

breezy flute prelude sets the romantic mood, S.P.Bala is as smooth as a butter.
oh... playful violin passage kku some silly fellowsஎல்லாம் goofy ஆ jumping around.

vinatha.

Divine22
31st May 2011, 01:24 PM
Hi app_engine,

Great write up !! thumbs up!

The 80's payanam has started, I think I will be indulging myself thoroughly in your writing in a much acquainted turf (80's) . Looking forward to this journey , with my jannal orathu seat reserved, Breezing the cruise with IR & your writings.

I had the chance to watch Anbukku Naan adimai recently, and I love those 2 songs, Story was not much, just a lame 80s kku endre uruvakka patta kathai, pazhi vangum,annan-thambi,kathal,naduvule aadu,dog & etc and not forgetting the gramathu nattamai @ villain with a rustic voice

Kaatrodu poo urasa, lovely pick indeed. Rathi, being one of the most prettiest actress of that period,she has a funny way of lip-synching .. :D :D

Rajini was still Rajinikanth is title cards, when did he started using the Super star title? Can any one clarify this for me pls? Ippo ennadanna oru padatheleye twinkle2 little star-nnu pattam podarange ...oops ... LOL!

PARAMASHIVAN
31st May 2011, 03:58 PM
So you have watched all other Rajini movies? Come on, this is a must watch for any Rajini or K. Balachander fans, mate. In fact I rate this higher than Aval Appadithan, in the so-called "serious" kinda category.

:oops: I really wanted to watch this as Rajni played a baddie , but I could not get the DVD here, will search harder this week :)

PARAMASHIVAN
31st May 2011, 04:00 PM
Sorry for digression guys, but this is Raghu's thread and I hope he doesn't mind occasional veering offs like this.
Not at all :)

PARAMASHIVAN
31st May 2011, 04:06 PM
App anna

We all 'Highly' appreciate the task of 'Mission Impossible'. Hats off :notworthy: I hope you have the Stamina to keep going when You come to the 80's songs :)

PARAMASHIVAN
31st May 2011, 05:31 PM
Folks

I was listening to an addictive song of SPB with annoying dialogues like (epdi epdi ) by S.N.Surendar, the song starts like this அங்கரங்கம் யாவுமே சொல்வதென்றால் பாவமே ஏழையின் காதலை மாழிகை அறியுமா ? which film is this song from and who was the MD for this song?

Plum
31st May 2011, 05:47 PM
Plum

Suttufied form some website:

Looks like Rajini, Rathi and Sujatha retained in the Telugu version, including Raja

=======================================
Mayadari Krishnudu was one of the tollywood movie released in the year of 1980 produced by C Dhandayudapani and was directed by R Thyagarajan. Music was composed by Ilayaraja. Acharya Aathreya penned lyrics for this movie and SP Balasubramanyam, P Susheela, P Sarada, P Anu shared their voice for playback. Main cast includes Rajnikanth, Sridhar, Rathi, Sujatha, Allu Ramalingayya, KV Chalam and many others. A Complete family oriented movie and the complete backdrop will runs in a village.

===========================================

Thanks Balaji. As I said, vague remembrance only

KV
31st May 2011, 07:24 PM
A_E, thodarattum ungal thondu… please accept this saalvai and thundu :)

Param, that's from Aayiram Nilave Vaa, by IR, 1983. Yeah, the eppidi eppidi is quite a nuisance in an otherwise fine song.

PARAMASHIVAN
31st May 2011, 07:56 PM
Param, that's from Aayiram Nilave Vaa, by IR, 1983. Yeah, the eppidi eppidi is quite a nuisance in an otherwise fine song.

Oh antha padama ithu ! That too a Karthik film, (how did I miss it :oops: ) By the way Devathai ilam devi song from this film gives me the creeps :shaking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh4BmdGoJMo&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
31st May 2011, 07:59 PM
Oh antha padama ithu !

Another kosuRu info - 'Ayiram nilavE vA' was advertised as Raja's 200th film.

PARAMASHIVAN
31st May 2011, 08:06 PM
Another kosuRu info - 'Ayiram nilavE vA' was advertised as Raja's 200th film.

Oh I see , :lol:

app_engine
31st May 2011, 08:09 PM
A_E, thodarattum ungal thondu… please accept this saalvai and thundu :)

Thank you, I accept all color thundoos, no filtering :-)

app_engine
31st May 2011, 10:06 PM
I see a song "chErikku sEvai seyyum nallavaru" (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0718'&lang=en) from a Rajinikanth movie ellAm un kairAsi directed by MA Thirumugam (was it Devar films too :roll:). Though it didn't ring a bell, gave it a listen.

I probably heard it a few times on kOlAmbi speaker those days but don't think it can be considered a hit. So, skipping it. (Surprising to see a song having such tags as IR / SPB / SJ / Rajini / 1980 being skip-worthy).

app_engine
31st May 2011, 10:18 PM
Divine22,
Thank you! Early 80's are IR's best phase in my personal opinion. That I was in +2 / college could be the main reason but the fact that those songs are sought after by much younger people (my nephews / nieces in TN, for e.g.) underlines their speciality...

app_engine
31st May 2011, 10:45 PM
#40 வாடாத ரோசாப்பூ நான் ஒன்னு பாத்தேன்
(கிராமத்து அத்தியாயம், 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0955'&lang=en)

The moment I saw the name of this movie in IR's 1980 discography, all four songs - each one very close to me - jumped to my mind instantly and started playing one after the other, even before I went to thiraippAdal!

Aththu mEttula & oothakkAththu are SJ sweeties (one with MV & the other with PJ), poovE idhu poojaikkAlamE is by BSS and this one with its "ammAdeeee" singing by SPB'll melt anyone!

The village tea stall - run by the son of my dad's colleage - was alternating between the HMV fiesta & the Rs 900 panasonic casstte player during this time. (i.e. if one was being retained by his 3 sisters on a day, the other ends up at the kadai). So, what songs he played depended upon what system was at the shop on a given day since he had only "mutually exclusive" songs on vinyls & cassettes. GA was on vinyl and all the four were so much loved by we boys.

Interestingly, he also had the other song 'pon mAnaththEdi nAnum poovOdu vandhEn' on vinyl and there were some who liked that better than this one ; but to me, that was just "cloned" from 'vAdAtha rOsAppoo' and I used to tell others that thambi got inspired by aNNan...to be fair to thambi, pon mAnaththEdi was a bigger hit on radio compared to vAdAtha rOsAppoo, though 'Aththu mEttula' was the most popular among all songs of that time period. Both pon mAnaththEdi & vAdAtha rOsAppoo start in somewhat similar manner which led me to disappointment on occasions when listening to radio.

Poor Rudraiyah, after the glorious avaL appadiththAn, he ventured into this GA which finished him. I've seen 'Athu mEttula' youtube sometime back:-(

SPB's emotional singing in this song can be compared to his effort for 'uchchi vagundheduththu'. Though it had some air time, could have become much bigger had it been in a different movie.

groucho070
1st June 2011, 06:22 AM
#39 காத்தோடு பூ உரச, பூவ வண்டுரச
உன்னோடு நான், என்னோடு நீ
பூவா, காத்தா உரச?
(அன்புக்கு நான் அடிமை, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0226'&lang=en)
Absolutely love the tabla. A revisit from Vizhiyile Malarnthathu.

groucho070
1st June 2011, 06:29 AM
Oh, athu Rudhraiya film-a. If not mistaken that too was a "banned" film for us kids.

App, what was tea kada for you, we hear these gems through the kitchen where the rickety old radio accompanies mom with her chores. Ellame mono-sound-thAn enggalukku. Sometimes we overhear her discussing certain songs with dad/neighbouring aunty/passing by estate worker/etc. For example, she complained about SPB's voice in Paranthaalum, Vidamaatten (Guru), "Eppadi iruntha kural en ippadi irukku!" :lol:

More digression on kitchen conversation:
7 year old grouch: Amma, what does Kamban Eemanthaan means?
Grouch's mom: Those are bad words. Don't ask again .

V_S
1st June 2011, 06:52 AM
More digression on kitchen conversation:
7 year old grouch: Amma, what does Kamban Eemanthaan means?
Grouch: Those are bad words. Don't ask again .:rotfl::rotfl2:

groucho070
1st June 2011, 07:06 AM
Sorry VS, it was my mom's line. I edited, but I think you got it.

V_S
1st June 2011, 07:25 AM
Yes of course groucho, I got it. :smile:

groucho070
1st June 2011, 07:36 AM
app, kedechacchu kedachachu

Dear Plum
I think you asked for the person in the song "Varuvai Kanna Neerada" in the movie Pattakkathi Bairavan. It's Jai Ganesh.

RaghavendranI corrected him, saying you queried.

More on Yaaroo song:

கதைக்களப் பாடல்களில் நடிகர் திலகம் - 01

காதல், சோகம், கொள்கை, தத்துவம் போன்ற நிலைகளில் மட்டுமல்லாமல் கதைக்களத்திற்கேற்ற சூழ்நிலைக்கேற்றவாறு இடம் பெற்ற பாடல்களிலும் நடிகர் திலகத்தின் தனித்துவம் காணப்படும். அப்படிப்பட்ட பாடல்களை இங்கே காண்போம். தொடக்கமாக பட்டாக்கத்தி பைரவன் படத்தில் இடம் பெற்ற யாரோ நீயும் நானும் யாரோ என்ற அருமையான பாடல். கதைப்படி நடிகர் திலகம் ஏற்ற பாத்திரம் குப்பைத் தொட்டியில் கண்டெடுக்கப் பட்டு வளர்க்கப்பட்டதாகும். வளர்ந்து பெரியவனாகிய பின் தாய்க்கும் மகனுக்கும் ஒருவரை ஒருவர் அடையாளம் தெரிந்து விடுகிறது என்றாலும் சூழ்நிலை இருவரையும் சேர முடியாமல் தடுக்கிறது. அப்படிப்பட்ட சூழ்நிலையில் அந்தக் கதாபாத்திரம் ஒரு பிறந்த நாள் விழாவில் தாயிடம் தன் நிலைமையை உணர்த்துவதாக கதைக்களம். இப்பாடலில் இளையாராஜாவின் சிறந்த மெட்டமைப்பில் கண்ணதாசனின் வரிகள் மிகவும் உள்ளார்ந்த பொருளடக்கியவை. நடிகர் திலகம் தன் நடிப்பால் அந்த சூழ்நிலையை அப்படியே நம் கண்முன் நிறுத்தும் இப்பாடல், துரதிர்ஷ்டவசமாக தொலைக்காட்சிகளில் ஒளிபரப்பப் படுவதில்லை.

இதோ அப்பாடல்

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_-lZNLOa5Q

அன்புடன்
பம்மலார் மற்றும் ராகவேந்திரன்

V_S
1st June 2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks grouch for posting about 'Yaaro Neeyum Naanum Yaaro' song here. First time I am seeing the song and giving good listen to lyrics. As always kaviyarasar. As usual NT :notworthy: no one can replace him, could have lived longer :sad:, definitely miss him so much.

Very interesting approach by Raja. Starts as a birthday celebration song, but in the interludes conveys the actual emotion. In first one, he uses guitar, but used it to sound little closer to veena and uses veena in second one followed by guitar. All again in this early years. Genius!

groucho070
1st June 2011, 09:28 AM
Credit goes to Raghavendra-sir.

Plum
1st June 2011, 12:28 PM
Gramathu Adhyaayam revives traumatic memories of Rameshwari, the telugu belle who went on to "conquer" Hindi heartland with - was it Chit Chor or was that Zarina Wahab? Baroque might be able to confirm - a few films before fizzling out. And that hero....

Sorry Rudriah, even a monstrously superior film like Aval AT didnt give you a licence to inflict GA upon us.
I remember vividly that I was taken to the theatre for this movie - kicking and screaming, which, as I have recounted in hub before, was my general reaction to being taken to the theatre those days - and spending the time walking around trying several seats across the length and breadth of the movie hall, which were courteously available thanks to the entertainment quotient of the movie, in the hope that one of the seats would result in better EQ from the movie. No such luck!

But what songs, though! SPB sizzles in Vaadadha rosappoo, and IR infuses class to the composition, though as app observed, the mass of Pon maana thedi gave greater immortality to the latter. Aathu Mettula deserved a better movie than this. It's a Janaki-fest, with IR's 70's instrumentation in its dying embers. From here on, we'd move to more synth and the 80's rigidity and regimentation, which, while brilliant enough even now, doesnt evoke the same intimacy as the free-flowing 70's genius for me.
I always thought Nizhalgal was 1978-79. Wrong, app? And I had mentally mapped Rosappoo R.kaari to 80s. I guess over a period of time, chronology does get messed up in the mind.

But Nizhalgal apparently released along with VNS, so I am kind of almost sure it was before 1980. app?

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 03:24 PM
Amazing stuff from the Legends :notworthy:

Similar kind of emotion to Uchi vaguntheduthu song from Rosapoo Ravukaikari !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJyw_Iwg34&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 03:26 PM
I always thought Nizhalgal was 1978-79. Wrong, app? Yes, I think it was released in 1981 !

app_engine
1st June 2011, 03:33 PM
Plum,
Both VNS & nizhalkaL were deepAvaLi releases of 1980 (means toward the end of the year). IIRC, the nizhalkaL disk was released not too much in advance.

BR's venture prior to nizhalkaL was kallukkuL eeram (direction Nivas, direction mERpArvai was BR in the film he acted) and that too got released in the same year - months earlier. People didn't take "years" to make movies those days :wink:

Those were my +2 days. There was this MSV fanatic in another class at school with whom there were so many heated discussions :-)
(I clearly remember discussing about the fact of nizhalgaL songs becoming bit hits despite it being a terrible flop movie - power of IR)

alaigaL Oyvathillai got released at summer of 1981, just after my +2 exams - medical school / engg school admission interviews etc time period. I clearly remember seeing the 'Ayiram thAmarai mottukkaLE' video in oliyum oLiyum at my cousin's home in Chennai (just after release) -B & W transmission ofcourse -during the visit to attend Guindy interview in that year.

My memory apart, other sources confirm this too - BR wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._Bharathiraja)

app_engine
1st June 2011, 03:36 PM
Another nostalgia - the local tea stall-er had the vinyl of kallukkuL eeram (eNNaththil Etho jil-lendRadhu, what a sweet song, en eNNaththil jil-jil right now). Interestingly, he didn't have the nizhalgaL disk.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 03:39 PM
App anna

Was Nizhalgal a BR movie ? :shock:

app_engine
1st June 2011, 03:47 PM
App anna

Was Nizhalgal a BR movie ? :shock:

Ofcourse, yes! Another important info - it was the debut film of Vairamuthu :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 04:04 PM
Ofcourse, yes! Another important info - it was the debut film of Vairamuthu :-)

Oh So Vairamuthu's first song was 'இது ஒரு பொன் மாலை பொழுது' ? :roll:

app_engine
1st June 2011, 04:11 PM
ஆமாம், வரும்போதே "வானம் எனக்கொரு போதி மரம்"னு சொன்னார் :-)

VM was a BR intro (IIRC, BR was producer-director of nizhalgaL, it was a "Manoj Creations" movie).

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 04:14 PM

VM was a BR intro (IIRC, BR was producer-director of nizhalgaL). Oh OK, I Like VM over 'Valee' for Obvious Reasons :lol2: but my all time Favourites is none other than கவியரசு :notworthy:

app_engine
1st June 2011, 08:04 PM
Thank you groucho, for posting the PKB answer from NT thread :-)

(About the video, though intolerable -mainly because of Sivaji's wig / appearance / Sowcar looking younger than her son etc - the degree of sahikkableness is much higher than engengO :wink: ...Sivaji looks somewhat like 'neethikkuththalai vaNangu' MGR in the song 'indhappachchaikkiLikkoru sevvanthippoovinil' )

app_engine
1st June 2011, 08:49 PM
#41 பேரைச்சொல்லவா, அது நியாயமாகுமா?
(குரு, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0978'&lang=en)

Another grand bass-guitar boosted album in the IR-IV Sasi combo! Supposedly a remake of Hindi film "Jugnu" with Kamal -Sridevi. I watched the movie many years later in the college audi - totally unimpressive ordinary masAlA and IR was too generous is gifting this many SJ wonders...(nAn vaNangukiREn, enthan kaNNil EzhulagangaL are both capable of making into any list that TFM lovers pick).

Two things that made me happy while watching the movie were
a) Title card had only SPB-SJ as singers
b) the mridhangam / whistle combo theme BGM

While pEraichchollavA is average on screen, musically it's so rich! 30 years after its arrival, even now it goes on loop on some days in my car - apart from the strong bass, the strings / wind instruments in the interludes are quite mesmerizing! So are the sweet voices of SPB & SJ and their brilliant singing that makes one feel so close to them!

I have a theory - Guru initially probably had two small size vinyl disks that were independently released - one with pEraichchollavA, nAn vaNangukiREn, AdungaL pAdungaL & enthan kaNNil & the other with paRanthAlum vidamAttEn, mAmanukkupparamakkudi, AdungaL pAdungaL another version and may be a repeat. The reason why I say this is because I've never heard 'paRanthAlum vida mAttEn' on AIR, even though that was my top fav when this movie songs arrived. They played 'pEraichchollavA' very frequently, however.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 08:56 PM
App anna

Did you guys used to wear big sunglasses/ thick side burns/ bell bottoms/platform shoes and Afro Hair style those days :lol2: :yessir:

app_engine
1st June 2011, 09:28 PM
App anna
Did you guys used to wear big sunglasses/ thick side burns/ bell bottoms/platform shoes and Afro Hair style those days :lol2: :yessir:

appA romba strictu - so no fashion fundA for us. Ofcourse, bell-bottom was unavoidable as that was the ONLY kind of full pants the tailor will make for youth during my +2 days (it was a very short-term fashion, went away during my college days, some of my older ones had to be "altered" to cut short the bottom).

I had two close friends in +2 who were Kamal fanatics. They were hostel-ers with lot more freedom from parents - so "step-cutting", bigger size bell-bottoms, 2 inch wide belts with shiny buckles, shirt with first button removed (or open), big side burns, thick meesai (sometimes french beard) and shoes that needed a stair case. Both were Sridevi fanatics as well (with so much expressed aversion for Sripriya). Interestingly, both weren't much into music listening so I was mostly in "listening-mode" when they spoke about movies as I had hardly anything to share...

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2011, 09:40 PM
App Anna

Good to hear about your younger days ,and you are the back bone of this thread now :thumbsup: , by the way , this bell bottom thing came back to Fashion in UK around 2002 till 2008, and I was a big Fan of them during my Uni days, esp the Jeans and Trousers, since 2008 they have disappeared here in UK, they introduced Jeans called Skinny, it is so tight and disgusting, it looks like girls jeans :banghead:

irir123
1st June 2011, 11:07 PM
#41 பேரைச்சொல்லவா, அது நியாயமாகுமா?
(குரு, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0978'&lang=en)

Another grand bass-guitar boosted album in the IR-IV Sasi combo! Supposedly a remake of Hindi film "Jugnu" with Kamal -Sridevi. I watched the movie many years later in the college audi - totally unimpressive ordinary masAlA and IR was too generous is gifting this many SJ wonders...(nAn vaNangukiREn, enthan kaNNil EzhulagangaL are both capable of making into any list that TFM lovers pick).

Two things that made me happy while watching the movie were
a) Title card had only SPB-SJ as singers
b) the mridhangam / whistle combo theme BGM

While pEraichchollavA is average on screen, musically it's so rich! 30 years after its arrival, even now it goes on loop on some days in my car - apart from the strong bass, the strings / wind instruments in the interludes are quite mesmerizing! So are the sweet voices of SPB & SJ and their brilliant singing that makes one feel so close to them!

I have a theory - Guru initially probably had two small size vinyl disks that were independently released - one with pEraichchollavA, nAn vaNangukiREn, AdungaL pAdungaL & enthan kaNNil & the other with paRanthAlum vidamAttEn, mAmanukkupparamakkudi, AdungaL pAdungaL another version and may be a repeat. The reason why I say this is because I've never heard 'paRanthAlum vida mAttEn' on AIR, even though that was my top fav when this movie songs arrived. They played 'pEraichchollavA' very frequently, however.

Perai chollava, aadungal and paranthalum - IR's majesty in a blockbuster film that ran and ran and ran in chennai alone!

'perai chollava' - i cant think of any other MD embellishing the romantic side of a young Kamal the way IR has done, time and again!

if you listen to a very good recording of 'perai chollava' , you can understand the technical finnesse accomplished by IR with not a single note jarring and the western classical elements justifiably used in appropriate moments laced throughout the track - the way the tune at 'orayiram thenaarugal vandhana' morphs into a derivative sub-tune 'neeraaduvom dhinamum neendhuvom' and the strings cascading down into a lower scale 'valley' immediately at the beginning of the 1st interlude!

such rich, lush musical imagery was 'sodhappufied' on screen notwithstanding the onscreen chemistry between Kamal and Sri Devi!

i often wonder/wish if IR was as talented being a director as a music director, only he could have probably done justice directing his own songs!

many of his orchestrations evoke such sophisticated imagery, it is impossible to picturise them with the same level of sophistication - maybe Stanley Kulbrick born in india could have done justice! Kamal did justice to a great extent

imagine Stanley Kulbrick directing a duet!

baroque
2nd June 2011, 02:32 AM
around 1980 -1981 rt ... under 8th grade , சினிமா எல்லாம் கெடையாது... காந்தி around 83 or சிந்து பைரவி or நினைவெல்லாம் நித்யா one or two movies in a year அழைச்சுண்டு போவா எங்க அம்மா, அதுவும் பயங்கர திட்டு உண்டு வேற...

no big deal

இளையராஜா பாடல்கள் கெடைக்குமே, தேங்க்ஸ் to loudஸ்பீக்கர் culture
எங்க பால் வாங்கற கோனார் வீட்டு சந்து டீ கடை உபயம்...

ஜானு has sung different styles of compositions in குரு.

remember classical சுத்த தன்யாசி'ச நான் வணங்குகிறேன் சபையிலே .....

erotic இளையராஜா's எந்தன் கண்ணில்....

டீசிங், சவால் பாடல் பறந்தாலும் விடமாட்டேன்.....what a show with ராஜா and பாலா. ஜானு is unmatchable
you will be covering them , elaborating on rock elements etc ..., app _eng

பேரைச்சொல்லவா.....masterpiece from இளையராஜா.

கமலஹாசன் or ஸ்ரீதேவி or X or Y etc ... who needs visual .

இளையராஜா with பாலா & ஜானு ..HURRAY
will treat myself அட் தி end of தி day ...
spring showers at San Jose ,
forever ரொமாண்டிக் பாலா with his கேர்ள் ஜானு...life heavenly
thanks
vinatha.

groucho070
2nd June 2011, 07:07 AM

VM was a BR intro (IIRC, BR was producer-director of nizhalgaL, it was a "Manoj Creations" movie).Script by the later director Manivannan, so you can expect a little bit of blood in it. Not that BR is free of violence.

app_engine
2nd June 2011, 08:56 PM
#42 பறந்தாலும் விட மாட்டேன்
(குரு, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0977'&lang=en)

Like baroque said, a song that must be covered (though I'm not qualified to talk about the "rock" & such elements :oops:) !

A song that had earned its special place with me right from its "way-ahead-of-its-time-arrival" until now!

As mentioned earlier in another thread, song that was first-time-heard from a co-passenger's cassette player in the bus from vaththalakkundu (Batlagundu as called by British) to kodaikkAnal - I can feel the breeze of that day even now! With that 'kooNdilE kiLiyallE konjippEsa' konjal by Janaki and the kurumbu, konjal flute passages thru out, it was an instant winner!

A song which I yearned to listen from radio at the time of release but didn't happen (possibly) due to non-availability on the disk at AIR. They played only the other hits.

Unlike other albums of those days which reached IOKS much before the film's release in India or SL, Guru disk that had paRanthAlum vida mAttEn didn't make it there too. So, no opportunity of listening to the song from IOKS as well. (IOKS played the song much later after the movie got released in SL, but it was a different version of the song - possibly copy / paste from the movie, it didn't have the flute folk portion in the second interlude and was jumpy - I didn't like that kind of chopping :-( )

Bottomline, with no cassette player at home, listening to this number was left to sheer chance (bus trips & loudspeaker casts from unknown / unexpected sources). When my 5 yr old sometimes demands my phone to watch a Disney Tinkerbell youtube for eating food, I wonder how much the world has changed!

Raja's chords, new toys, strings & flute with strong bass score is such a delight! SPB & SJ have all kinds of kuRumbu in the song (and the flight portions of the on-screen thingy aren't too bad either, given the time of arrival, though one may find it funny today...Sureshji may be able to tell whether this song was மூ.ஆ.மு or மூ.ஆ.பி :wink: )...SJ's englees portions are ofcourse funny and create smile each time I listen ("let me see what you can do")

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd June 2011, 08:59 PM
App anna

I remember few scenes of Guru where kamal tries to steal something from an Exhibition sort of thing, was this film a hit those days ? :roll:

app_engine
2nd June 2011, 09:10 PM
App anna
was this film a hit those days ? :roll:

According to irir123,

Perai chollava, aadungal and paranthalum - IR's majesty in a blockbuster film that ran and ran and ran in chennai alone!

IIRC, in smaller towns too it had decent run.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd June 2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBXumUHxW-s&feature=player_detailpage

Sureshs65
2nd June 2011, 09:36 PM
irir123,

Nice to see that app_eng post has struck a chord in you that we are seeing a long post from you after a long time. Wonderful description of the song.

app_eng,

I did not follow Sreedevi so closely but I feel this Sreedevi is மூ.ஆ.மு :)

groucho070
3rd June 2011, 07:57 AM
This song was played by our radio station. Not sure Singapore or Malaysia, but was certainly played in this part of the world. One of those long hair/short hair. Zappaesque/smaller moustache films Kamal made those days.

Divine22
3rd June 2011, 12:41 PM
irir123,

Nice to see that app_eng post has struck a chord in you that we are seeing a long post from you after a long time. Wonderful description of the song.

app_eng,

I did not follow Sreedevi so closely but I feel this Sreedevi is மூ.ஆ.மு :)

Err..sorry ... what is மூ.ஆ.மு ...

Enlighten me pls ;)

tvsankar
3rd June 2011, 12:50 PM
Mooku Operation ku Munnadi.

groucho070
3rd June 2011, 12:56 PM
:lol: Appadi onnu irukko. Specifically when did that happen?1981? 82?

tvsankar
3rd June 2011, 01:59 PM
Black & white movie time .. apavae start panni irupanga Sridevi....

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd June 2011, 03:21 PM
:lol: Appadi onnu irukko. Specifically when did that happen?1981? 82?

Gindi entry ku munnadi, She went through various Nose shapes, if you watch her in Super Star's movie, Naan Adimai Illai, you will see the difference in her nose !

Priya Chopra has also re-shaped her nose, It seems Aunty Sri devi has developed a Nose Shaping 'Cult' after her :lol2:

I think SRK needs a Surgery big time :yessir:

groucho070
3rd June 2011, 03:36 PM
Always liked the original. I think many especially Tamizh film fans will agree.

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd June 2011, 03:40 PM
Always liked the original. I think many especially Tamizh film fans will agree.

I stronlgy object that 'Bonda' mooku :lol2:

tvsankar
3rd June 2011, 03:48 PM
mooku matuma surgery pannidanga..Lips um dhan ... apadi than nenaikaren.
original mooku... azhagu konjam kammi dhan...
kid stage il adhu azhagu dhan.
Yezhu malai vaasa - idhil varum sri devi ponnuku... azhagu..

Moondru mudichu.. konjam jaadai maari.. azhagu koraiya arambichadu...

sivapukal mookuthi.. - padam.. kamal poosariya varuvar.. idhil azhagavae ilai...
idharku apram edho panni irukanga...
Vanakathukuriya kadhaliyae... konjam nalla irundhadhu..
Kavikuyil... indha mooku azhagu dhan...
idharku appramum edho operation agi iruku....
16 vayadhinilae. idhil irundhu sigapu rojakal - indha sridevi mooku.. Bonda Mooku dhan. anal azhagu. lips um dhan azhagu.. idhuuvm original jaadai maari irukum.

Big Fan of Sridevi.. from her childhood film.. ovovru padam parkum podhum amma kite solven.
Sri devi mooku vera madhiri iruku nu.. amma solvanga.. Ularadhae.. epavum iruakra mooku dhan.... unaku than ipadi thonudhu..................

app_engine
3rd June 2011, 06:55 PM
OhO, multiple மூ.ஆ.vA? :lol2:

IMO, her best asset was kural & fantastic modulation capabilities. "சப்பாணி-ன்னா சப்புன்னு அறைஞ்சிரு"...'நா அப்படித்தான் பேசுவேன்'...

Also versatality, like SPB :-) There we are, back on track to the thread topic :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd June 2011, 07:30 PM
There we are, back on track to the thread topic :wink: On that note, where is your song APP anna ?

app_engine
3rd June 2011, 08:13 PM
#43 ஆடுங்கள் பாடுங்கள் பிள்ளைப்பொன்வண்டுகள்
(குரு, 1980) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0973'&lang=en)

What a sweet prelude of guitar / strings! Another bass-guitar special with arresting rhythm arrangements and happy singing by SPB!

Traditional benevolent hero song (running / taking care of / showering love on orphanage / destitute children). Popular genre of prior biggies' era (chellakkiLikaLAm paLLiyilE, siriththu vAzha vENdum) and continued by the next biggies (pEsum maNi muththu rOjAkkaL, AdungaL pAdungaL, muththu maNichchudarE vA / kadavuL uLLamE), always enjoyable songs with great emotional connect! Looking from the Disney angle, a seriously untapped area in TF/IF where the movies / music could have made it really big. Still, whatever we received as part of the "mix-everything-in-one-bag-masAlA-packaging" had decent emotional connect and provided some musical richness / entertainment quotient!

Melody/tune formats of MDs prior to IR era were mostly ICM-style IMO. That is, a "flowing, running" melody forming the backbone of the song with orchestration / instruments as 'pakka vAththiyams'. Even at the time of arrival, IR started to have this - what I call - 'broken-up-tune' structure with 'machchAnappAththeengaLA'. He created a problem for bathroom singers with the instrumental part between 'pAththeengaLA' and 'mala vAzhai"...the chords, many people tried to do that with mouth :oops:
It was one of the conditions during our holidays at grand parents' home that 'NO singing of instrumentals!'. So, some IR songs obviously posed problems for such family sessions.

During 70's, IR's proportion of such songs were relatively less IMO as he probably tried to please the industry jAmbavAns who had to be satisfied with MSV-ish / KVM-ish traditional melody styles. (Is this what probably Plum meant in his post for preference of 70's IR?)

With 80's, IR becoming more powerful in the industry, the proportion of such "problem songs with broken-up-tune" drastically increased, IMO. 'AdungaL' pallavi is one such example where the IR instrumental magic between 'AdungaL' and 'pAdungaL' could make singers with no instrumental support to feel miserable.

It's also possible that with this style change in place, IR was more inclined towards 'meterukku matter' working style. (All these are my guesses and musically untrained opinions, Sureshji and others please correct / comment if the understanding is not too much off the facts)...

app_engine
3rd June 2011, 08:21 PM
On that note, where is your song APP anna ?

போட்டாச்சு!

genesis sir, இன்னிக்கு வெள்ளிக்கிழமை :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd June 2011, 08:27 PM
போட்டாச்சு!
மிக்க நன்றி

baroque
3rd June 2011, 10:10 PM
beautiful app_eng
exquisite வயோலின் அருவி from prelude & interludes along with bells , chorus ஹிம்மிங் counterpoint , delightful ப்ளுட் , expressive பாலா .
good old 80s இளையராஜா ...GREAT, moving on from album GURU to the next MAN MADE WONDER from ilayaraaja.

நம்பல்லாம் சேர்ந்து வளராட்டாலும், நம்ப லவ் for இளையராஜா's and others பாடல்கள் இப்போ share பண்ணி, என்ஜாய் பண்ண உதவுகிற tfmpage .com , let us say our thanks

THANKS TFMPAGE GUYS...LOVE YOU.... this happy composition and its spirit is dedicated to you from Ilayaraja fans.

vinatha.

Divine22
4th June 2011, 08:28 AM
Mooku Operation ku Munnadi.

Hahaha... ok ok , Thanks !

V_S
4th June 2011, 08:49 AM
நம்பல்லாம் சேர்ந்து வளராட்டாலும், நம்ப லவ் for இளையராஜா's and others பாடல்கள் இப்போ share பண்ணி, என்ஜாய் பண்ண உதவுகிற tfmpage .com , let us say our thanks

THANKS TFMPAGE GUYS...LOVE YOU.... this happy composition and its spirit is dedicated to you from Ilayaraja fans.
vinatha.
Very well said and very true :clap: I second you.

app_engine
5th June 2011, 07:00 PM
2 songs are due today as I couldn't find time on a hectic Sat...trying to catch up...

groucho070
6th June 2011, 06:53 AM
Waiting and following, app. Wonderful as always.

app_engine
6th June 2011, 08:57 AM
#44 சென்யோ ரீட்டா ஐ லவ் யு
(ஜானி, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1284'&lang=en)

Well, IIRC, Guru & Johny were peers from the two biggies that appeared in the same time period. Interestingly, a similar thing got repeated again another time with SKV / EKK (these two got released on the same day, I think). The person who is known today as the versatile / emotional actor did masala role in Guru / SKV while the person well-known today for masAlA did relatively non-masAlA roles in Johny / EKK.

Johny's case is even more interesting - it had 4 female solo's in a Rajinikanth movie where he had only one male song, the unforgettable senO ritA, with the terrific techno prelude...the song being a sheer guitar / drums / strings / flute delight! The way the song ends is another techno treat, delicious! SPB - the all-time-best, coolest singer for such numbers effortlessly delivers it, stealing the hearts of all youngsters of 80!

I keep posting about the occasion when I heard Johny songs from a shop on the narrow / steep / hilly road in the small town on Kodai hills called 'Pannaikkadu', from big box speakers with all the bass in full flow to tremendous effect on the whole area! Unforgettable trip, that one! (The same trip in which the Guru song was enjoyed en-route on a bus, those were crazy days when my feet stopped on the road for any fav IR song)!

Most visitors to TFMpage / The Hub are familiar with the prathApams of Johny and its memorable songs and I don't want to blA-blA anything in addition. Sufficient to say that all songs caught up with me like fire and are still very dearly loved! (Ofcourse, SPB song was on top when it arrived and fought with Asaya kAththula for the top stop - not any more, the other three have caught up with these two -as one grows older- and now it's impossible to pick any one as fav). Easily among the top 10 of Raja albums or top 10 of all-time-TFM IMO :wink:

Those who lived as teens in 1980 and listened to senO ritA finds it difficult to digest the false claims that new sounds were heard in TN only in 1992 :wink:

app_engine
6th June 2011, 09:42 AM
#45 வாழுமட்டும் நன்மைக்காக வாழ்ந்து பார்ப்போம் வாடா நைனா
வாழ்வு யார் பக்கம் அது நல்லவர் பக்கம்
(காளி, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1306'&lang=en)

Another 2 letter named film in the same year for the biggies (Rajini starrer). Another IV Sasi film, I think. So, strong bass score was by default. SPB singing in an exuberent manner, resulting in a song that will make one instantly feel like running a race. (Was this song similar to the 'nenjE un Asai enna' of nAn pOtta savAl which was a horse ride song, I think).

I was so upset with the 'nainA' word when this song arrived :-( Otherwise an MGR-ish motivation song which should have been easily lapped up by all classes of people. This word was perceived to be a Madras bAshai slang and typically looked down those days (it doesn't irritate me that much now). Ofcourse, I had school friends who spoke Telugu in their home and called their appA as 'nAyanA / nainA' (our village celebrity - the tea staller & his sisters used to call their dad nAyanA) but that didn't remove the Madras bAshai tag to that word and so the song got poor rating among us those days.

My most fav part of the song was the way in which the saraNam ends - drummer's delight! I used to enjoy thoroughly light music troup performances those days where the drummer plays this kind of sounds exactly the same way! Even if the whole orchestra sodhappified (with cheap keyboards replacing important guitar / violin sounds, which was the norm those days), if they had a decent drummer, I used to give them great marks. Me and my cousin were regular visitors to the light music shows on the 'porutkAtchees' in Virudhunagar and surrounding towns those days. (R S Manohar dramas were the top favourites in such exhibitions for us, however). Obviously none of those poor troops could anywhere come closer to Raja songs but we always had the thrill of sitting on thuNdu on maN and enjoying such late night shows so enthusiastically and walk back feverishly discussing the performances...

app_engine
6th June 2011, 09:44 AM
I've caught up with the one a day thingy, i.e. till 5th June :-)

Hopefully, in NA time, I should be able to post the song for 6/6...

groucho070
6th June 2011, 10:05 AM
the unforgettable senO ritA, with the terrific techno prelude...Are you refering to the wah wah sound? Guitar with wah pedal-illa? Was there synthesiser involved?

Yeah, who said new sound arrived in 1992. Ellam eppove vanthachu :razz:

app_engine
6th June 2011, 10:31 AM
techno - means some additional electronics (than pure acoustics) IMHO :wink:

Also, the sound that ends the song doesn't sound like guitar + pedals / accessories...

groucho070
6th June 2011, 11:24 AM
app, that is a perfect definition. Nowadays they use it the word "techno" for some shite genre. But then, who am I to judge.

Yeah, the last part, you are right.

PARAMASHIVAN
6th June 2011, 03:27 PM
Belated 65th Birthday wishes to the Genius :notworthy:

Plum
6th June 2011, 09:49 PM
App, very enjoyable mix of nostalgia, personal experience recall and the songs themselves. I enjoy this even more than pure technical dissections. Pusthavam pOttu vithurunga nallA vikkum

app_engine
6th June 2011, 09:56 PM
#46 பேபி, ஷேக் இட் பேபி
(காளி, 1980 , கல்யாண் மற்றும் ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1305'&lang=en)

It was wild times for IR during 1980, I think. He was trying out all kinds of things with his guitarists and whatever new toys that he could lay hands on :lol: Ofcourse, SPB was working closely with him on such songs traversing multiple genres and sometimes successful and sometimes noisy. Though not as catchy as senO ritA, this song had some airtime during the days of the movie and in my memory this song was often used as the "filler" for the cassette when the recording center thingy caught up later on. (It was customary for those recording centerwAlAs to fill up the last few minutes on the cassette with man machine kraft werk, funkitown and such spooky stuff. They possibly thought this was Raja's own way of filling up his vinyl).

In any case, excellent singing by SPB & the other support singers! Also shows the variety of songs that people were getting treated with from the genius' kitchen during that time period. This was a hot period when he created a very loyal following for his brand. There was no necessity for this crowd to keep "switching channels" for something different or new. (Interestingly, the other channels were becoming like vayalum vAzhvum while the original vayalum vAzhvum had become MTV, SunTV, everything, just about starting his monopoly on a crowd that was getting ever bigger).

Well, give a listen to this song in a nice system and it could sound quite interesting, especially the string portions!

(I'm excluding the other SPB song in Kali from our discussions 'pathra kALi' with SJ - I saw it on thiraippAdal but never heard it before). So, will move on to the current CM's movie tomorrow...

app_engine
6th June 2011, 10:07 PM
Plum, thank you for the kooli to eat sugarcane!

app_engine
6th June 2011, 11:26 PM
Looks like there's another song in between, going by the alphabetical order of movie name, there's another K movie in 1980 for IR...so tomorrow, it won't be from the 'thavikkudhu thayanguthu' song's movie..:-)

rajkumarc
7th June 2011, 12:26 AM
Did SPB lend his voice to Swing Swing in Moodupani? That was one heck of a rock n roll.

app_engine
7th June 2011, 12:38 AM
Did SPB lend his voice to Swing Swing in Moodupani? That was one heck of a rock n roll.

It was probably Kalyan alone...no SPB in moodupani I think.

baroque
7th June 2011, 12:46 AM
காளி...WILL VISIT THE ஆல்பம் TONIGHT ..தேங்க்ஸ்.

அடி ஆடு பூங்கொடியே......... vintage wine from காளி..I have the treasure in an INRECO -BEST OF இளையராஜா காஸ்செட்டே ALONG WITH SOME OF THE EARLY இளையராஜா'ச இசை அமுதங்கள் LIKE மழை வருவது...,இளங்கிளியே..... ETC
எவ்வளவு நாள் உழைச்சுடுத்து. I KEEP THE COLLECTIONS CLOSER TO MY HEART

தித்திக்கும் ... பேபி shake it பேபி....Rock composition

vinatha.

groucho070
7th June 2011, 06:39 AM
அடி ஆடு பூங்கொடியே......... vintage wine from காளிHaunting in the movie. Oru murai keettal, it'd loop in my head the whole day.

rajkumarc
7th June 2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks App for clarifying. Rocking start to the 80s. Shabba... ippave kanna kattudhe :smile:

V_S
7th June 2011, 08:46 AM
App, Shake it baby!. Very different and unheard song at that time. This was the time when I was in 5th/6th grade where I started knowing more about IR through my elder friends and classmates. Very true about getting filler songs at that time, now I remember after reading your post. You remember everything :thumbsup: We usually give him atleast one or two songs extra sometimes or tell him to choose his own songs sometimes where we used to get these kind of songs you mentioned.

Great going App :clap:

Regarding 'Adi Aadu Poonkodiye' eventhough I know it's Rajini song, some how I always associate this song to NT, don't know why. I still visualize NT's acting for this song. May be MV sang like that, but it's a pleasant feeling and that's why I never watched this song.

genesis
7th June 2011, 10:47 AM
App, very enjoyable mix of nostalgia, personal experience recall and the songs themselves. I enjoy this even more than pure technical dissections. Pusthavam pOttu vithurunga nallA vikkum

Yes App. That's what I was also thinking. Sometime back I read a book called "Monsoon Diary: A Memoir with Recipes" by Shoba Narayan. It is part autobiography, part cook book. Her life in Coimbatore (Toddler), Chennai (school days), Kerala (Grand Parents) and US (College) has been captured very beautifully with bunch of recipes (mostly south Indian). You can take that template and replace food with IR's music you have a great book in your hand. (Idea: You can include a CD with book).

I promise to buy the first copy. :)

Plum
7th June 2011, 12:21 PM
kALi is one of the quieter, not-a-monstrous-hit, but pleasant and nicer albums during the early 80s. One of the early deal clinchers in terms of Rajini fandom. Rajini has a way with children, especially when they arent his screen-children(not many of them, aint it?). He really brings up that detached attachment you have towards children of people close to you as a bachelor very well.
Even in Anbulla Rajinikanth, the detached affection towards Meena, wherein you can see that there is no obvious blood-related passion and intense affection but more of a polite but endearing love towards a (supposedly) endearing alien child.

Ofcourse, there is that mottai working in the background subtly tweaking his guitar strings to catch you unguarded in that soft spot in your heart and making you imagine all this.

Adi Adu PoongodiyE - a masterpiece in Uncle-Kids relationship caught in Celluloid and Tape, and now, digital media. One of its kind perhaps - I dont count that Nagesh-Manimala ditty

groucho070
7th June 2011, 12:37 PM
Rajini/kids. Vaa Vaa Vasanthame. Good points, Plum.

Plum
7th June 2011, 01:17 PM
And it is quite interesting that most of his songs with kids on screen are with kids of otehr characters. Can you recall any screen song with his own on-screen kids?

groucho070
7th June 2011, 01:27 PM
Brothers song, Dharma Durai, after beating the crap out of them, a followup of Padikathavan, after beating the crap out of Lakshmi.
Mother = kinggu.
Father...nope. Kids, unless you count Annamalai, but that also after slapping her. Nallavanukku Nallavan, yes, but after the kid breaks their heart.

Someone should do a psychoanalysis on him.

Plum
7th June 2011, 01:46 PM
I can only recall the speculative nAn seidha kurumbu(sung by SPB, so relevant to this thread) in 3M. He just talks about the (sadly not) forthcoming kid there not the actual kid.

Plum
7th June 2011, 01:48 PM
I vaguely recall Baasha's original in Hindi where he played sidekick to Amit-ji. Deepa Sahi was his wife and if I recall right, there was a kid in the mix

groucho070
7th June 2011, 02:12 PM
Hindi philim nomination rejetted. Athuvum shrimp paste involvement automatic disqualified.

PARAMASHIVAN
7th June 2011, 03:32 PM
Haunting in the movie. Oru murai keettal, it'd loop in my head the whole day.

I have seen Kali, but I cant recall this song / scene, pls describe the scene and the situation from which this song starts. thanks :)

app_engine
7th June 2011, 05:15 PM
Hindi philim nomination rejetted. Athuvum shrimp paste involvement automatic disqualified.

what about the 'saju nAree, saju nAree, saju nAree, saju nAree' of kikku ERuthE? :wink:

skr
7th June 2011, 06:40 PM
What a freak out of a song Shake it Baby..Loved it like crazzyyy..Thanks App..You are doing a stupendous job ..

Plum
7th June 2011, 07:20 PM
Someone should do a psychoanalysis on him.
Be the change you want to see. nIngaLE paNNunga
(Tamil Proverb: EndA kalyANam paNNikkalainA, neeyE pOndAttiyA irunnAnAm!)

app_engine
7th June 2011, 08:24 PM
#47 நானொரு பொன்னோவியம் கண்டேன் எதிரே
(கண்ணில் தெரியும் கதைகள், 1980 , சுசீலா மற்றும் ஜானகியுடன் ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1530'&lang=en)

Contrary to what many websites say, this was not an exclusive IR movie. (thiraippAdal website is also incorrect in this respect). I remember this song being a regular on radio those days, especially IOKS. However, the Shankar-Ganesh number enjoyed more airtime than the IR number (nA onna nenachchEn, SPB-VJ-Jikki). Though many websites don't know the multi-MD thingy, most DF-ers here are aware of this 5 MD movie (IR / S-G / KVM / GKV & TR Pappa). Each did one song and possibly 1/5th portion of BGM. Producer was the 'kAkkA nariyin katha kELu' A L Raghavan. This dhool.com thread (http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1333) has a nice article / discussions on nAn oru ponnOviyam; ofcourse with some hilarious remarks over the dancing capabilities of Sarath Babu & Vadivukkarasi :lol2:

Reproducing my 2005 comment from that link :

Apart from the semi classical (or kind-of) touch, one thing that was enjoyable in this song was the rhythm arrangement...kind of trade mark Raja...He had so many of such unique patterns generated in his early years (before delegating that department to assistants:-)) and the SOTD had one of those enjoyable ones...I'm sure Raja reused this in other songs later on, but none became as popular as this...

Another song ( again a dance number) which had novel rhythm arrangement was `thAm tha dheem tha Adum uLLam pAdum kAviyam' from pagalil oru iravu...

The most enjoyable SPB portion from the song is the 'thanthOm thanam thanam, thanthOm thanam thanam enRoru mellisai kEttadhuvE', what a sweet singing! OISG comment on the female singers is quite interesting : in this song SPB certainly makes the queens look like "la la la peNgaL" aka "kuzhuvinar" :lol: Actually PS & SJ do a commendable job adding to the beauty of the song.

When arrived, this song strongly reinforced the conviction in us about what variety IR was capable of giving! And he continued to prove himself on that aspect in the 100's of movies & 1000's of songs thereafter!

PARAMASHIVAN
7th June 2011, 08:54 PM
(nA onna nenachchEn, SPB-VJ-Jikki).
I really like this song, till I recently I was thinking it was an IR Composition. SG :clap:

(IR / S-G / KVM / GKV & TR Pappa).

Who is GKV ? :)

app_engine
7th June 2011, 09:55 PM
GKV - G K Venkatesh (under whom IR initially worked as an assitant, for many films - mostly in Kannada language field).

He was the MD for poNNukkuththanga manasu movie that had 'thEn sindhudhE vAnam, unai enai thAlAttudhE'

He has acted in the movie 'mellaththiRandhadhu kadhavu' (as a music teacher I think), the movie where MSV-IR worked together.

For years, I think GKV also worked under MSV as assistant - did some playback singing as well. IIRC, during GKV's last days, MSV took care of him, keeping him in his home...

PARAMASHIVAN
7th June 2011, 10:00 PM
GKV - G K Venkatesh (under whom IR initially worked as an assitant, for many films - mostly in Kannada language field).
Ah yes, that rings a bell

He was the MD for poNNukkuththanga manasu movie that had 'thEn sindhudhE vAnam, unai enai thAlAttudhE'

Beautiful song, Just love it :)

baroque
8th June 2011, 04:50 AM
Ilayaraja glitters with violins, veena, anklets, chorus, mirudhangam, flute for SMOOTH Bala..what an allegro
I drift off into the world of early Ilayaraaja's magic this hot afternoon. needed pattu break for me, thanks.
vinatha.

Divine22
8th June 2011, 11:48 AM
#44 சென்யோ ரீட்டா ஐ லவ் யு
(ஜானி, 1980 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1284'&lang=en)

Well, IIRC, Guru & Johny were peers from the two biggies that appeared in the same time period. Interestingly, a similar thing got repeated again another time with SKV / EKK (these two got released on the same day, I think). The person who is known today as the versatile / emotional actor did masala role in Guru / SKV while the person well-known today for masAlA did relatively non-masAlA roles in Johny / EKK.

Johny's case is even more interesting - it had 4 female solo's in a Rajinikanth movie where he had only one male song, the unforgettable senO ritA, with the terrific techno prelude...the song being a sheer guitar / drums / strings / flute delight! The way the song ends is another techno treat, delicious! SPB - the all-time-best, coolest singer for such numbers effortlessly delivers it, stealing the hearts of all youngsters of 80!

I keep posting about the occasion when I heard Johny songs from a shop on the narrow / steep / hilly road in the small town on Kodai hills called 'Pannaikkadu', from big box speakers with all the bass in full flow to tremendous effect on the whole area! Unforgettable trip, that one! (The same trip in which the Guru song was enjoyed en-route on a bus, those were crazy days when my feet stopped on the road for any fav IR song)!

Most visitors to TFMpage / The Hub are familiar with the prathApams of Johny and its memorable songs and I don't want to blA-blA anything in addition. Sufficient to say that all songs caught up with me like fire and are still very dearly loved! (Ofcourse, SPB song was on top when it arrived and fought with Asaya kAththula for the top stop - not any more, the other three have caught up with these two -as one grows older- and now it's impossible to pick any one as fav). Easily among the top 10 of Raja albums or top 10 of all-time-TFM IMO :wink:

Those who lived as teens in 1980 and listened to senO ritA finds it difficult to digest the false claims that new sounds were heard in TN only in 1992 :wink:

புதுமையான , குளுமையான, பாடல்! படமாக்கப்பட்ட விதம் ரொம்ப இனிமையா cute -ஆ இருக்கும் !

KV
8th June 2011, 12:08 PM
App, as always, super writeups! Thanks for Naan oru ponnoviyam, never heard it before; lovely work on the rhythm and veenai.

I remember getting hold of a title score (BGM) some years back, an absolutely whacky piece with racy rhythms (drums, mrudangam, african-styled drums, etc) and hynotic 'om shanti om shanti om' chanting. Is this one from Kaali (or is it Kazhugu?). What a cracker!

groucho070
8th June 2011, 12:12 PM
Kazhugu. And in the beginning you get this robotic sound. Pretty ahead of its time. If that is the piece you are talking about.

KV
8th June 2011, 12:17 PM
Yup. That's the one, Grouch. Found it here (http://www.mediafire.com/?2sxt5gxchcl8x11) (and some old discussions from TFMPage here (http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/archives/7007.02.28.18.html)).

groucho070
8th June 2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the links, KV *zips off to the other page*

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 03:47 PM
Kazhugu. And in the beginning you get this robotic sound. Pretty ahead of its time. If that is the piece you are talking about.

Ah yes, I really loved the film, esp the tour bus scenes, Jungle beats, the mystery and last but not least , the heroine Rati Agnihorthri :lol2:

By the way, didn't that film had a wonderfull song by SPB +PS called 'Kaathodu poovurasa ' ??

app_engine
8th June 2011, 07:49 PM
By the way, didn't that film had a wonderfull song by SPB +PS called 'Kaathodu poovurasa ' ??

'kAthOdu poo orasa' is from anbukku nAn adimai and we've discussed a few days back in this thread :-) #39 (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=692483&viewfull=1#post692483) in our current series of SPB-IR chronicling...

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 07:58 PM
'kAthOdu poo orasa' is from anbukku nAn adimai and we've discussed a few days back in this thread :-) #39 (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB&p=692483&viewfull=1#post692483) in our current series of SPB-IR chronicling...

Oh sorry :oops: I meant ' oru poovanathila ' song :oops:

app_engine
8th June 2011, 08:17 PM
Don't worry Param, tongue-slippu happens to us all :-)

Thank you KV!

After hearing from a number of hubbers this "first time hearing" remarks on certain IR songs, I no longer get surprised...obviously, his works are like a big sea, covering many decades...

app_engine
8th June 2011, 08:19 PM
dig
groucho,

That's an excellent article on Rajini on your blog! :clap:

end-dig

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 08:23 PM
dig
groucho,

That's an excellent article on Rajini on your blog! :clap:

end-dig

Link pls :)

app_engine
8th June 2011, 08:49 PM
Link pls :)

It's there on groucho's signature :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
8th June 2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks App anna :)

app_engine
8th June 2011, 09:41 PM
#48 எங்கேயோ ஏதோ பாட்டொன்று கேட்டேன்
(நதியைத்தேடி வந்த கடல், 1980 , சுசீலாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2295'&lang=en)

Now, we're in the movie of the current TN CM where IR & SPB worked.

That movie had this great song (actually, one of the greatest from IR IMHO) - 'thavikkudhu thayanguthu oru manadhu' by PJ/SPS which supposedly had JJ on screen (per dhool Saravanan, IR had used Shailaja for JJ and PS for fadAfat in this Maharishi written movie). I remember reading the kumudam review of this movie which started like -ai, Jayalalitha, kozhuk mozhuk- :lol2:

Going by Saravanan, then, this PS / SPB song possibly had fadAfat (who is no more) on screen. Sounds like a 'mOhini / Avi / kanavu' kind of song with a woman in white dress walking, singing from a distance and a man getting lured. Excellent tune and stylish singing by both (especially PS nailing some flat / sharp notes gracefully).

Though this was a flop movie (which even die-hard JJ fans like OISG couldn't catch in theater (http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6402)), all the songs had decent air time, especially thavikkudhu and engEyO were hot favourites on IOKS. Though a 1980 movie, it's possible IOKS had this song broadcast much earlier, as engEyO evokes 70's evening feeling in me instantly :-)

The whole album is a treasure!

skr
8th June 2011, 10:25 PM
The 80's has started with a bang and there is so much to come..
App you r doing an awesome job..
Though i have heard Thavikkuthu Thayangathu,this is the 1st time am listening to Engeyo and must say its a lovely song..Very beautifully sung by PS and SPB ..

app_engine
9th June 2011, 12:50 AM
நன்றி, skr !
அடிக்கடி சுரேஷ்ஜி இதே மாதிரி சொல்லுவார் - நான் இதற்கு முன் கேட்டதில்லை என்று.

ராசாவின் ஆரம்ப காலப்பாடல்களை இன்னும் பலரும் கேட்டதில்லை என்று தெரிகிறது.

எது எப்படி இருந்தாலும் இந்த இழையில் எல்லா ராஜா - எஸ்.பி.பி. ஹிட்டுகளையும் கடை விரித்தே ஆக வேண்டும் என்று கங்கணம் கட்டியாகி விட்டது :-)

app_engine
9th June 2011, 12:56 AM
நாளை முதல் ஒரு நாலு நாளைக்கு வரும் பாட்டுகளை இதற்கு முன் கேட்டதில்லை என்று யாரும் சொல்ல மாட்டார்கள் என நம்புகிறேன். ராசா / எஸ்பிபி விரும்பிகள் மத்தியில் அன்றும் இன்றும் அவ்வளவு பிரபலமான பாடல்கள் அவை.

ரெண்டு மிக வெற்றியடைந்த ஒரு படத்தின் டூயட்கள்.

மற்ற இரண்டு படு தோல்வி அடைந்த ஒரு படத்தின் சோலோக்கள்.

(யூகிப்பது மிக சுலபம் :wink:)

rajkumarc
9th June 2011, 01:51 AM
Engeyo Edho is my favorite from the album. It invokes an inexplicable/surreal feel. With the first few listens, I was never able to figure out the emotion and then concluded it's romance with a shade of longing/sadness.

tvsankar
9th June 2011, 01:55 AM
app,
Mohan nadicha padangal dhanae..............

app_engine
9th June 2011, 02:32 AM
app,
Mohan nadicha padangal dhanae..............

ஒன்றில் உள்ளார், மற்றதில் இல்லை :-)

groucho070
9th June 2011, 06:54 AM
dig/

App, thanks for reading
End dig/

This thread is making my lauv for singing spring back in action. Nowadays driving back, I sing my lung out, and with correct emotion. Not only I enjoy myself (vanity plays a part), but it keeps me from sleeping behind the wheel.

On Enggeyo Edho, not my favourite, the Jeyachandran song is. EE to me feels loud. I can't even remember SPB in it.

balaji
9th June 2011, 07:42 AM
App_Engine

This is one, even I can answer

Duets - Nenjathai Killadhe - Uravenum and Paruvame

Solos - Nizhalgal - Pon Malai and Madai Thirandhu

Bala

tvsankar
9th June 2011, 03:16 PM
app,
matrondril mohan ilaiya.. sari.. yar nadichadhu adhu........... think about tat........

Sureshs65
9th June 2011, 04:56 PM
app,

Very true. Lot of 80s and 90s I have not heard but surprisingly lot of 70s IR I have heard. So it was really surprising to me when I heard KV say that he has not heard, "naan oru ponnoviyam". _Even_ I have heard it :)

Your effort is excellent. I am sure lot of songs which I haven't heard will turn up. Everyone is eagerly awaiting this series. As was suggested, maybe you should compile this into a book. I will write the foreward saying that you have now beaten the likes of Shaji :lol: Jokes apart, I think there is merit in the book suggestion. (Without my foreward ofcourse)

PARAMASHIVAN
9th June 2011, 05:07 PM
"naan oru ponnoviyam"

SPB "Excells" in this Song, I dont know why, but this songs Reminds me of some "Arasa Kaalthu Padalgal" :oops:
Pazhaya Padalgalai gynabagam varum pothellam, silla nerangalil naan romba unarchi vasapadugiren :(

PARAMASHIVAN
9th June 2011, 05:16 PM
App anna

I am copying all your songs into a word document and compiling it, in case the hub server crashes :lol: . Please consider writting a book based on this, or even start your own blog on the net ! You would beat SPB sir Genius Books of Records :lol:

You are doing a great job, keep it up :thumbsup:

Plum
9th June 2011, 06:24 PM
I think the superhit movie is Payanangal M - probably saalai oram and ei aatha
App has a huge soft corner for PM(not Manmohan Singh)

app_engine
9th June 2011, 08:24 PM
App_Engine

This is one, even I can answer

Duets - Nenjathai Killadhe - Uravenum and Paruvame

Solos - Nizhalgal - Pon Malai and Madai Thirandhu

Bala

:clap: correctA pudichchutteenga!

Plum,
payaNangaL mudivadhillai is a 1982-er, I was in college then :-) Also, it has 7 SPB songs, not just 2 :wink:

app_engine
9th June 2011, 09:47 PM
#49 உறவெனும் புதிய வானில், பறந்ததே இதய மோகம்
(நெஞ்சத்தைக் கிள்ளாதே, 1980 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2343'&lang=en)

Sophisticated!

That's my one word description of this song and none can come anywhere close, never, IMO! ('poongARRu puthithAnadhu' / 'en iniya pon nilAvE' are distant second)...Sounds modern ever, with no indulgence in English or technical terms or anything that's "supposed to sound cool" but the song sounds hip even today!

Right from the prelude, one can sense that Raja was on a different trip in this song (actually the whole album). Perhaps pre-determined by the combo (IR-Mahendran-Pratap-Ashok Kumar) that they're going to have the music unlike anything heard before. The guitar (bass / lead), synth, flute, strings - every one of them was possibly pre-planned to be stylish (well, it seemed like that to me). I wish Madhavan heard this 1980 number before making a comment on the 1991 'rAkkammA kaiyaththattu' as 'something not expected from IR' :-(

IIRC, the team planned everything about this movie in a classy manner (the artwork of posters, pictures on them, movie title, songs - everything looked sophi). I watched the movie only recently on web -it had its flaws but definitely enjoyable and way ahead of its times. Well, the good thing was it becoming a big hit both commercially and among critics, something only the likes of Mahendran can do!

Though 'paruvamE' had more air time, uRavenum was my personal #1. It had everything that I wanted - a modern sounding Raja, sweet melody, excellent singing by SJ & SPB, decent lines with absolutely nothing to irritate! This is one youtube that one can happily search for and there won't be any disappointment! While my +1 classmates had funny comments about the heroine when it arrived, they loved the movie & songs so much!

(Ofcourse, one should look at Suhasini as "some new girl doing her first movie", i.e. without prejudice and not the artist who played many annoying feminist roles with KB & others later in her career or the too-talkative TV artist or MR's wife who gives controversial interviews to media every now and then or the niece of a great actor having far less talent or the one who had a share in Chiru's massacres of many IR-TeFM-songs or the infamous dialog writer of rAvaNan.

At least look at her as a DHIRF or the pAdaRiyEn / nAnoru sindhu girl :wink: )

First TF for Mohan also (who did 'kOkilA' in Kannada with Kamal/Balu Mahendra earlier) and Raja definitely gave him a rousing welcome with two superb duets. Ashok Kumar, IIRC, won NA for his pleasant camera work. Suhasini started her film career as assistant to Ashok Kumar (after film institute study of cinematography I think).

At that point of time, a great team - everyone thinking modern / sophi - working with IR! Per my theory ("oft-repeated-in-the-hub" by me), whenever Pratap Pothen and IR were together in a movie, the guitar work was endearing and so Pratap could've exerted some positive peer pressure on IR. Whether true or not, we are the greatest beneficieries of this one fantastic team of NK!

PARAMASHIVAN
9th June 2011, 10:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cji2ns0D1MU

PARAMASHIVAN
9th June 2011, 10:10 PM
This is one hell of a song by the "Lethal" SPB + IR combo, love this song to the core! I am great fan of the "greatest villian" Raghuvaran, but some how he is all over the Place when it comes to Romance :| , Sumalatha :lol2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StH2QX65Ws0&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
9th June 2011, 11:27 PM
from tfmpage archives (http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/archives/4922.16766.07.52.47.html):

Friends,

It was sometime in 1979, when I was seven years old - we were in Mangalore - our next door neighbours were a group of bachelors - they used to take this kid next door ( that is me) to a beach near Mangalore - ULAAL Beach - the approach to the beach is awesome - a straight road going uphill with the trees on both sides slowly giving way to shrubs and then no vegetation - by this time, the road reaches the top of the incline and as this point approaches, my mind used to fill up with a thrill as if we were going to drop out from the edge of this world itself -and Lo! behold, from the top of the incline the road climbs on a downward slope and you have a breathtaking view of the Ullaal beach especially on a rainy , murky day with thin needle like drizzle caressing you - these neighbour bachlors used to have some kind of an audio set, playing this song -

" Uravenum pudhiya vaanil , parendhadhey idhaya moham " from "Nenjathhai killaadhey " -

OH GOD ! what a creation from Raja !! that song invoked the same kind of feelings that used to run thru my mind at that tender age - andru mudhal indru varai, this song invokes the same feelings over and over again.

The above post had also been quoted in the dhool-SOTD (http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/117.html) hosting of uRavenum puthiya vAnil, nice nostalgia!

app_engine
9th June 2011, 11:44 PM
the archive discussion page (http://tfmpage.com/forum/archives/17424.20880.03.21.22.html)

Some interesting comments :

A fantastic piece of work from IR which gives a haunting feeling. vijay - a senior DFer - once commented that he associates(imagines) the initial flute prelude to a the flight of a kite slowly going from visibile region into obscurity.

What a beauiful song !
When i first heard this song was struck with disbelief. Tamizhil ippadi oru paatta !
For me this is always a once more song.

Mind soothing prelude with a humming that caresses the heart, gently, very gently.
The pallavi tune makes the mind stop all other work and brings all the attention to the music - only this music. The first interlude music starting with the guitar piece and this is when the mild percussion also enters, starts filling the nerves one by one. And when the violins take over the body is full of music. What a great saranam tune -'Paarvai Ovvondrum Koorum...' and i am floating, floating, floating... until the end of the song.
The final humming of SPB will continue to haunt me for the next couple of seconds. I then start hearing the noises around me and back to this world. Great singing by SPB/SJ. One of my all time favourite

I really wonder what some reviewers will do when presented with songs like this to review-when the current songs are reviewed with eack tinks and tonks and plinks and plonks given their due,songs like this and rakkamma-their reviews will run into pages.
The flute at the end of the strings before the songbegins -if there is a musical equivalent of breaking out in gooseflesh-this is it!

This is one of the many jewel's in IR's crown and it is so soothing to hear the voice of young SPB and it gives a feeling of hearing the ocean waves in a lonely beachside. This rythm plays all over you. The other highlight of this song is the video. This visuals and the song gel so well to the situation. Hats off...Also check the ye...thendraley song (P.Susheela).

KV
9th June 2011, 11:45 PM
App, what a start to the 'sophistication phase' of IR's career! This one's among my all time favourites of the man, specially those charanams, poignancy personified.

Now, here's an incident that happened at my college, the days when I would fervently 'market' IR's brand among my classmates and others. The college fest had just gotten over in which our band had covered Metallica's instrumental 'The Call of Ktulu', which there after went on to become a bit popular among my group of friends (who were not really rock/metal fans). The week after the fest, one of the guys brought his new Sony 'discman' (gosh! this thing already seems like a dodo, doesn't it!) to college. Carpe diem! I promptly took my (then, 1st or 2nd disc!) 'IR Mohan hits' cd the next day and played them Ilaya Nila ("now you know where your Nele nele comes from"), Paruvame, Mandram vandha thendral, etc and quite naturally, had most of them impressed (predominantly non-Thamizh folks). Then when it came to Uravenum, the fun began. When the backing rhythm guitar started playing (from 0:13) one of the guys jumped and declared - COPY! COPY! Quite amused, I asked from where he thought it was stolen. "Can't you recall? Metallica? The Call of Ktulu?" he said. Then it struck me that the pattern was indeed a bit similar (from 0:34 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1RTgznup5c)). It was just a simple chord, four notes being repeated in a loop and there wasn't anything substantial in labeling it plagiarism, I tried to explain. But the guys wouldn't budge (gultys, Ramanagokula fansulu!). Not willing to give in, I hurriedly looked up the internet to see if this had been discussed anywhere (romba mukkiyam paarunga!) but found nothing. IMDB only had the year of release and other movie related information. Cometh the hour and to the wikiots, wikipedia will rise! And what a brahmastra it turned out to be! Call of the Ktulu features in the album 'Ride the lightning', which Wiki declared in big bold letters, released in 1984! Khatham gatham!

KV
9th June 2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks for digging out some treasure App, very interesting!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th June 2011, 12:11 AM
What a song :shock: :D Thanks a ton App Engine for posting this gem! your and KV's writeup too is too nice :)

app_engine
10th June 2011, 12:50 AM
நன்றி KV & SKV!

KV's recap of college experience is quite interesting!

Sounds like the copy claims that come up on hub threads from time to time :-)

...இணைந்த கோலம், இனிய கோலம், இளமைக்காலம் ... 30 வருடம் ஆனாலும் வயசாகாத பாட்டு...

இந்தப்பாட்டு எப்போதுமே "இளமை" தான்... இளைய ராசா மாதிரி...(GA has done ok job of unobtrusive lines)

rajkumarc
10th June 2011, 02:02 AM
Superb posts App & KV on Uravenum Pudhiya Vaanil. In my books, Uravenum is the song of the century for it's brilliant orchestration, divine singing and mesmerizing tune.

groucho070
10th June 2011, 06:54 AM
Superb App/KV. To be honest, I rediscovered this song only like a few years ago.

skr
10th June 2011, 05:52 PM
Awesome App and KV..Lovely reading about the background of Uravenum , the old archives and your nostalgic memories..
This is turning out to be a memorable thread, the best thing is still we are only in 1980 :)

Nerd
10th June 2011, 05:58 PM
Uravennum is not a regular in TV channels and in FMs AFAIK, when you compare it with paruvame. A friend of mine had recorded this song over and over again on one side of a 90 cassette. I borrowed it from him and never returned it. A perfect 10/10 song incl the video. Thanks app this song has been running inside my head (incl the ludes) since last night. Don't want to listen to it now - like this feeling :-)

Btw the song is a delight to listen to, 'under influence'. :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
10th June 2011, 06:17 PM
Btw the song is a delight to listen to, 'under influence'. :-)

Under what Influence?? :lol2: JD :lol2: :yessir:

Plum
10th June 2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by yaaro -I suspect this could be Plum's old avatar
I really wonder what some reviewers will do when presented with songs like this to review-when the current songs are reviewed with eack tinks and tonks and plinks and plonks given their due,songs like this and rakkamma-their reviews will run into pages.
The flute at the end of the strings before the songbegins -if there is a musical equivalent of breaking out in gooseflesh-this is it!

Nope, grouc. Not me. I'd have been more like the situation, the mapping of the music to situation and Frabhu Rau will tear his hair in despair when I make that connection to music and situation/emotion

Plum
10th June 2011, 07:37 PM
Btw the song is a delight to listen to, 'under influence'

:lol: - I was thinking to write "This song sounds like composed under influence :lol:

But knowing IR, he probably wasnt under influence. ellAm apdiyE varum pOlirukku avarukku without external stimulant :bow:

app_engine
10th June 2011, 07:38 PM
நன்றி rajkumarc, groucho, skr & Nerd!

Nerd, 'paruvamE' had a much bigger lead over 'uRavenum' on radio at the time of arrival too :-)

Plum
10th June 2011, 07:39 PM
App, a pre-KB-ised Suhasini is actually tolerable in the movie. Well, I'll upgrade that. She was quite a fiery young woman who you felt a grudging admiration towards. Unlike the vapid, KB-ised, eyebrow-crunching, artificial silar sirippar silar azhuvar emoting Sindhu(Bhairavi's competitor)

app_engine
10th June 2011, 07:48 PM
a pre-KB-ised Suhasini
:lol2: Nice usage :-)

There was this Mammootty movie (Malayalam) where she did commendaly too (ente upAsanA, I think). I liked her performance in SB too but not MUV & afterwards...

app_engine
10th June 2011, 08:36 PM
#50 பருவமே புதிய பாடல் பாடு
(நெஞ்சத்தைக் கிள்ளாதே , 1980 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2342'&lang=en)

Sweet jogging number, another SPB-SJ duet of top calibre from the same movie!

As mentioned earlier, a bigger hit with general public than uRavenum. There was this legend that the tap-tap-tap sound was generated by hand-tapping-on-the-thigh (and not a musical instrument), don't know whether true, but there was strong blah-blah and belief among classmates about this. I don't know whether some mag talked about it or not but I've never read anywhere myself.

Unlike uRavenum - where both SPB & SJ performed equally IMO- in paruvamE, SPB easily scores over periyammA (SJ's voice is very similar to my mom's elder sis, i.e. mom of the cousin whom I often talk about in this nostalgia trip :wink: Well, she was classically trained -arangERRam levels - and her singing of movie songs is delectable...as I type this her kitchen singing of the saraNam of 'rAjAthi rAja un thanthirangaL' gets played in my mind).

paruvamE is nice on screen too, I think both these songs (and also that wonderful 'E thenRalE' by PS) had picturizations of the kind that Mahendran always wanted in movies. I've read often that he hated the lip-sync'ed songs on screen.

The song does not have a prelude but the interludes are very enjoyable - same standard and similarly stylish / sophi as uRavenum's. And the transition from 2nd interlude to the saraNam ("தேனாடும் முல்லை") is one of the best ever! As for the melody and singing part, my most fav is that first line of saraNam ("பூந்தோட்டத்தில் ஹோய் காதல் கண்ணம்மா" / "தேனாடும் முல்லை நெஞ்சில் என்னமோ").

Songs like this cannot be stopped with just one listen...must be on repeat mode to thoroughly enjoy!