PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

app_engine
12th April 2012, 11:21 PM
There are a couple other SPB songs listed under SPB from brahmmA (nadappathu / rAthiri nEram) but I've never heard them before...so skip (A_S may come and say these should be booked under 'app-missed-list')...

A_S
12th April 2012, 11:27 PM
App: 'engirundhO iLanguyilin' also had a SJ version and as is typical with IR, had entirely different but equally admirable & unforgettable musical arrangement. And if I remember it right, this song was like a theme music for this movie with the tune getting played at important moments. As I had indicated in my earlier post on IR's outstanding compositions (with SPB getting a major chunk) for SR movies, VVP, Nadigan, Brahma, TP (that you will be covering in 1992 compositions) all had very good songs (mostly sung by SPB & SJ). Most of SR movies (in 1991 & beyond) had two heroines (Brahma had Kusbhu & BP). This movie was directed by Subhash (MR's assistant who had also directed VK-BP movie Chatriyan the previous year) and was a 1991 Deepavali release (that had Dhalapathy, Guna, Thalattu Ketkuttamma and a few other movies). For some reason, this movie was re-made by the same director in Hindi few years later (in 1995 if I remember it right) & not immediately. As always expecting Murali sir to provide accurate details :)

A_S
12th April 2012, 11:48 PM
App: Yes there are few other SPB songs from this movie (I could remember one now "Nadapathu Nadakattum" and another SR-BP duet) that can be called hits. Looks like "app-missed_list" is steadily on the rise :)
Kudos to you though for not missing anything on the food front; this CK (definitely not Cheeni Kum) is also one of my favourite :razz: as my native place (Tirunelveli) is also in South TN

kiru
13th April 2012, 01:17 AM
#343 எங்கிருந்தோ இளங்குயிலின்
(பிரம்மா, 1991) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0424'&lang=en)

...iLamaiththuLLal, innovative rhythm structure for the pallavi, comfortable tablA accompaniment for the sweet saraNam and lovely interludes! ...
I've always wondered why IR switches to tabla in charanams (?)
BTW, not that fond of Priyasagi.. but the interludes are awesome.. Actually .. the whole album overall should get a awesome rating..
Your karuppatti reference is interesting.. Last time I brought 'panangkaRkandu' back here.
(V_S - I still cannot seem to warm up to the kEladi en paavaiyE song..sum of parts ..does not add up for me, I guess)

app_engine
13th April 2012, 01:47 AM
this CK (definitely not Cheeni Kum)

ada, ada - enna oru connection :-)

Hubby of my periyammA (who sings like SJ) is from the ambAsamudram area and he intro'd this to me :-)

:mouth waters:

Param,
'seethA kOka chilukA' is the Telugu version of 'alaigal Oyvathillai'. (I believe VJ had sung a few songs in it)

app_engine
13th April 2012, 01:51 AM
I don't think I'll find time to clear the backlog in the near future :-(

This new project assignment may not allow as much time as the lazy last one...

In any case, this compilation is nearing its end and it doesn't hurt not to rush the posts :wink:

Nerd
13th April 2012, 04:36 AM
Since Murali sir has mentioned about a "surprise element", I'm skipping the youtube and will wait till I watch the movie (curiosity question - is the "big figure needing accordian" Mohanlal?):-)
InimEl enna saar surprise? Paarunga paarunga. Sorry about spoiling it :oops:

Brahma those two well-lefts were definitely hits during that time. The trendy nadappathu nadakkattum has the addictive "ayyA route-u ellaam top-u" phrase. And the matter raaththiri nEram has this addictive phrase - "yemmA yemmA dhooram, ada vaammA vaammA pakkam". SPB/SJ at their best in both the songs. But not much heard these days I guess.

rajkumarc
13th April 2012, 04:38 AM
App - The two Bramma songs that you posted are great numbers. Love varudhu varudhu especially for its orchestration. SJ version - Ivaloru also has lovely orchestration, like that one better than the SPB version.

V_S
13th April 2012, 05:46 AM
App,
As promised, here is my take on Thalapathi Sundari KaNNaal oru sEidhi song. It has become big as usual, please read it at your leisure. Please feel free to skip too, as it is again a lengthy and boring one.

V_S
13th April 2012, 05:52 AM
Sundari KaNNaal oru SEidhi - Thalapathi

Any film released on a Deepavali day is always special. Watching the film in the midst of all the fire-crackers around and also along with the noise of the crowd is something special. Most important thing, watching it first show. Nothing like that. The film too should also deserve to be celebrated on the Deepavali day. A dull film on a deepavali day is not a welcome. It should be a grand one. Whether it has substance or not does not matter as long as it entertains the crowd on that special day is what matters the most. We would hardly hear any dialogues on the first shows. Still that did not cause any displeasure. Moving with the crowd. Remember those days standing in the long queues hours together in that hot sun, a week or two before the release to grab the tickets. No online tickets those times. The satisfaction after we get the tickets is itself like watching the film. Remembering the Mannan scene how Rajini and Annan get the tickets. You can never match that experience. Big cut-outs, grand decorations, ferocious crowd, fire-crackers, lighting camphors, more than the Deepavali festival, the theaters wore a grand festive look. I don't remember if I had gone to temple on that auspicious day, but I do remember that I have watched many films the first show especially on a Deepavali day which also include Thalapathi. Sometimes they release a day before or on a Friday. Also apart from the movies, wearing new dresses with pride, enjoying lunch and sweets at every friends house is all a unique experience. Those days we never get full whatever we eat, so much appetite. :smile: To add more spice, good TV programs all day. Returning back to our homes only during the night. This trend in south is for just one day deepavali affair, but imagine a 5-day diwali (including Lakshmi Puja and Bhaubeej/Bhayya Duj) celebration in north and how would that be. This is the only indian festival which is celebrated across religions and across countries. A festival of lights which happen almost close to new moon day, which lit up the dark sky only to show that today, the heaven is on earth. That craze is surely gone now for me, staying away from home.

The expectation from this film was already sky-high even before its release. Many magazines already posted about the brief story-line with Rajini and Mamooty's stills. Those days there were no audio releases like today, so we were guessing all the time how the songs would be and also excited to watch the film. With that excitement, we watched it on the first day. Definitely it was great film for the first time. As and when we got to see multiple times, the tiredness in the film surely woke us up except for some great acting performances. Starting from Agni Natchathiram, it was obvious to us that Mani has started giving more importance to style rather than substance. Dialogues became shorter and discontinuous, editing became more harsh/abrupt, cluttered/shallow story-telling/script without going deep into the subject, but somehow managed to create controversies in almost every film, which gained the publicity for the film. Most of all, he chose the best composer in his films which worked every time. Three Mani films I liked the most were Mouna Raagam, Nayagan and Alai Paayuthe, to some extent Kannathil Muthamittaal. He is very good in love subjects, but when he combines it with other social elements, that grip is not there, as surely there is a confusion which one to take and which one to leave. Without further delving, let us switch to one of the best song which mesmerized millions. A song which was a rage at that time. Every radio program was airing these songs. Doordharshan was playing these songs every week or so.

She sees a violent event on road when she is traveling by bus. Her lover is cutting another man's hand. Stone-hearted. She is shocked. She is alone and waiting for him. He comes there and says he is like that and cannot change. He assumes that she will not like him because of her brought-up, yet she is madly in love with him. The stone-heart melts. The fear in her whether he will be with her always in her life. The fear in him whether she will marry him or get separated. Fear is the biggest cause of all problems. She dreams that sometimes he is with her, sometimes he is away from her. Which one is true?. Mani has handled the song cleverly except he forces some unwanted war scenes just to make it grand (another case of style vs substance). Maestro will never say No as he has enormous scope for this WCM orchestration skills. Mani leaves the audience to guess whether this is a dream song for Shobana, Rajini or both, as he cuts the scene just before, with Shobana lying in Rajini's lap. That's where the song starts. I am going to take a little different route this time.

Mani decides to go to Italy using a space shuttle which switches him back to 17th century. That's the birth place of many legends and genius composer on the banks of venice, just like our divine kaveri river side. He believes he can get a good score only from Renaissance period composers like Claudio Monteverdi. He knocks the door of Monteverdi and introduces himself. Claudio welcomes him with a warm smile. Mani asks him if he can score a song for his latest film Thalapathi explaining the above situation which he obliges. Mani explains him the situation and also conveys that this is a dream song. She is constantly thinking of him and he is far away. She is fearful if he will marry her or she will be left alone. She is caught in a tension and confusion. She sends her love to him and he responds. Claudio stops him there. After carefully conceiving this situation he invents a new technique called Tremolo just for this situation. Claudio does not know at that time, the concept he invents will be the base for scientists like Marconi in 19th/20th century to invent another wonderful concept in transmitting voice and music signals over radio waves through amplitude modulation (AM). Claudio plays this portion with his orchestra.

Tremolo technique is normally used with varying signal strength, that's why we hear that trembling effect, as the frequency is constant. She is constantly thinking of him (like frequency constant), but he is far away, so the signal strength (signal is constant, only its strength) varies. The information on that signal is vital. If you can hear that sober flute (implying her sober heart) on top of that tremolo, which is the information, she wants to send him through that tremolo. Once the signal reaches him on the same carrier (tremolo), he sends back another signal (I think some wind instrument, not sure, if that is a sax) on the same carrier which reaches her, before he reaches her. Once she sees him, the mood completely changes and both rushing towards each other. The sounds matches the galloping horse when he grabs and takes her into his horse. After this, we would assume the tremolo would end, as they both now united, still Maestro continues the tremolo but you can hear the tremolo in different ranges when the bell sounds come in. The bell sound is an indication of auspicious occasion, that is their marriage. So, when the bell rings they exchange the garlands. Even when they met and they know they are going to unite (again only in dreams), they are still nervous till they are married. So the tremolo sound continues, but taking different ranges, one for her and another for him. Once they exchange the garlands, the nervousness comes down, so tremolo stops there. When he plays with his orchestra, Mani was stunned by that sound. That clearly explained what he was thinking in his mind about the situation and he was surprised to hear that Claudio brought out exactly what he was thinking. That's the trembling effect the heroine experiences since his lover is far away.

Meanwhile Claudio gets a call from church that he is already late and has to perform madrigals, so he feels sorry and leaves in a hurry. Mani now caught in dilemma, switches back his machine to 18th century to get a glimpse of this music scenario, but he somehow lands on the banks of river Kaveri, which he never expected. Saint Thyagaraja was singing

'sundari nee divya roopamanu chooda thanakku dorikenamma,
manda gamana neethu kadaksha balamo, mundhati poojaa balamo tripura'

on the streets in the name of the Goddess Gowri describing her beauty in ever glorious Kalyani raagam. 'Oh Beauty of the three worlds. I am lucky to have seen your pretty form. Oh Goddess, with a pretty walk, this luck of mine is due to your side long glance, or it may be due to the worships I did earlier.' That struck our Mani sir like never before and he decides there that his song should be like this and in this raagam, totally forgetting about what Claudio offered earlier. He even got how the lyrics should sound. Sundari kanaal our sedhi (similar to 'this luck of mine is due to your side long glance' from Thyagaraja).

He could not visualize further, but he could not wait either for that piece to be composed. He assumes that St. Thyagaraja is singing for his situation. With his blessings, he leaves from there. Suddenly remembers Claudio again to go back to Italy, but switches his machine to early 20th century to see how Western classical music has developed only to see the World is torn into pieces because of World wars. He sees the pain suffered back in the family when he fights for his country. This cue struck him and he directly reaches to Giacomo Puccini (a great successor to Verdi, who is known for his famous operas) to compose a opera/oratario piece for the interludes explaining the war situation and how it separates the family.

Starting with the marching drums with high horns creates the tension in the war ground, while the choir which follows it, depicts the family behind, longing for his men. There is both male and female choir. For a split second it appears like a vocal counterpoint, but it is THE BEST and wonderful harmony, clearly showing the hearts of men (male choir) at war and the hearts of women (female choir) back at home, beating a similar pattern, even when they are performing their respective duties one at war and another back at home. After the war is over that day, the loneliness creeps in, when the dusk sets in. That's where the violin ensemble soothes both their hearts. Mani could not believe what he was hearing. Touched Puccini's feet. With that music ringing his ears and with heavy heart, he flies away seeing the atrocities during the World war, back to 14th century, to have solace and love, nothing else.

Amir Khusrau a great poet and scholar of India during medieval times, welcomes him with this beautiful poem.

Do not overlook my misery by blandishing your eyes, and weaving tales; My patience has over-brimmed,
O sweetheart, why do you not take me to your bosom.
Long like curls in the night of separation, short like life on the day of our union;
My dear, how will I pass the dark dungeon night without your face before.

After a good night sleep with these mind-soothing poems and also assuming composer Tansen (of 16th century) singing these songs, he gets up from the bed to see that he was in a big dream the whole night. Back to the future Part IV. :wink: He was shocked to see that he was still at his home and could not believe what he dreamt last night. After freshening up, he immediately rushed to Prasad studio to convey all that he dreamed last night, to Maestro before he forgets. Maestro, just seeing his face and impatience, he got all the telepathy and morse codes from all those above great men Mani met last night in his dream :smile:. He immediately called on Vaali sir, SPB sir, Janaki Amma and the whole orchestra. While Mani was impatiently waiting to tell the situation for that song and how he liked to see that song, Maestro started with the same Tremolo and flute which he heard in his dreams. He thought that was a coincidence, when Vaali sir started his song with 'Sundari' he got reminded of St. Thyagaraja's Sundari Nee kriti in Kalyani raagam. He was astonished to see Maestro coming with same raagam with similar lyrics glorying the lover, just like St. Thyagaraja was glorying Goddess Gowri. Still he was not convinced. That's when Maestro started his war theme in opera style, same what he heard from Puccini, he got stranded. But he was quite sure that Amir Khusrau poetry cannot be replaced here, when SPB was singing

maadhangaLum vaaram aagum naanum neeyum kudinaal
vaarangaLum maadham aagum paadhai maari oadinaal

He immediately recalled 'Long like curis in the night of separation, short like life on the day of our union' from Amir Khusau's poem. He goes and hugs Vaali sir and SPB. Lyrics was again outstanding with both SPB and SJ's voice and singing brimming with soul.

Maestro has still not finished his composition. He still has to do second interlude. While he starts on the same road as he did the first interlude, with the marching drums and trumpets, he takes a different turn when he starts the violin along with trumpet. As and when a head of a soldier is cut or as and when he is wounded, the violin cries which directly transmits that sad signal to their family. The culminating flute with underlying violin tells story of the bereaved family. Mani feels it was way better than what he heard from Puccini last night as this piece directly relates to pain, not just in lovers heart, but the pain for the love itself. He now feels that his dream has come true, rushed to Maestro, hugs and kisses him. Maestro gives him a gentle smile and leaves as if he did nothing.

It is extra-ordinary to think this way as we can see the clouds of ambiguity clears out as we go from century to century when we hear diametrically opposite genres. Where is Renaissance, where is Kalyani, where is opera, and where is the poetry. Where is Monteverdi, where is St. Thyagaraja, where is Amir Khusrau and where is Puccini. If you hear the melody separately and interludes separately, you will never identify these pieces are for the same song. Int that way, it is a very rare composition; that it has no connection between pallavi/charanam and its interlude. Interlude is a separate western classical piece with no connection whatsoever to the melodic structure. Sameway, the melody has no connection to its interlude, yet with the last bar, how he connects both these diametrically opposite pieces seamlessly together is a testimony to this genius. :notworthy: The main highlight of the song is not these separate pieces, but how he brings all those legends of yesteryears in front of us together without we need to go back to their times. Maestro eases our job of listening and also eases the job of directors by bringing these hidden elements of treasure on his own, having studied and appreciated all forms of music thoroughly and seen all faces of music daily. A composition worth more than a billion, by one and only complete musician of our times. Do we deserve it?

al_gates
13th April 2012, 08:00 AM
. If I remember it right, GV was being made for around 1.5-2 years (from late 1999 till it finally got released in April 1991) which was a long time for the making of a movie in that era.

Wow A_S! you are very perceptive. While watching a movie, I had this habit of looking for clues as to when the shooting must have taken place(wall calendar in a scene, some character's diary, etc) and when I first saw GV in 1999, I thought Sumitra's diary showed the calendar of Apr 87 or maybe 89. From this I held on to the belief that GV was released in 1989. It was only few years later I found its release date on the internet and now you have nicely filled in the pieces as to when it was shot :)

groucho070
13th April 2012, 08:13 AM
OH.MY.GOD. V_S. I am speechless. That's all I can say :shock:

al_gates
13th April 2012, 08:15 AM
VS, Lovely write-up as usual :)

Those days there were no audio releases like today, so we were guessing all the time how the songs would be and also excited to watch the film.

I remember App mentioning he heard Dalapathy and Guna songs a month before the movies' release!?! App, can you confirm ejjatly when they started releasing the audios first?

V_S
13th April 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks a lot grouch for your appreciation. I am truly delighted, it means a lot to me. :D

al_gates, Thanks a lot for your wonderful comments. :D Sorry, I meant that there were no audio release functions which we have now. Just audio releases.:smile:

jaiganes
13th April 2012, 10:39 AM
best song in indian films(music, arrangement, melody choclatey, picturisation, rajini, SPB everything, kitchen sink) , period .

jaiganes
13th April 2012, 10:41 AM
that lahari audio cassettes had the best sound for a raja movie in years..
And remember the days we spent speculating about the movie story line from the songs..

Bala (Karthik)
13th April 2012, 10:54 AM
:notworthy: Thank you VS, thank you

Bala (Karthik)
13th April 2012, 10:57 AM
Those who saw/experienced this song being composed/recorded - onniyum solrathukku illa :|

Bala (Karthik)
13th April 2012, 10:58 AM
I don't want this thread to end. S'not enough, what to do...?..

A_S
13th April 2012, 12:07 PM
App: This thread has become part of our daily routine that it's going to be very difficult to start our days without reading about the SPB-IR song posted for the day. Hopefully the total will cross 400 when this is completed (I was hoping for 500 earlier when every year had 30-40 songs). Thanks for all your efforts in this regard (like it always happens with IR songs, time (1 year in this case) has really run very quick). Once you are done, we can try compiling the list of the missed out SPB-IR songs (coming up with interesting write ups like what you or VS have been doing, can be considered bonus) and add them to this master list meticulously put together by you.

Al: Thanks for your appreciation. Those were the times when I was closely tracking TFM (which was synonymous with IR).

Don't know when Guna cassette (that had IR, KH and SB interacting) got released but Dhalapathy's audio release was done on July 15, 1991 (nearly 4 months before the release of the movie on 1991 Deepavali day) and it created record in the audio sales (huge for that time). IR aptly wished the movie will have similar success during the audio release function (Yes IR attended this which was quite unusual for him that time). It was reported in the press that RK was paid huge salary (3-4 times more than what he was getting for a movie till then) for this movie.

groucho070
13th April 2012, 12:57 PM
Like what V_S is doing in the other thread, we can go way back and look at songs that app gave a miss. Give him one, nay, many listens and they might trigger some memory or sort. Come on, someone get the rope :smile:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 02:23 PM
There are a couple other SPB songs listed under SPB from brahmmA (nadappathu / rAthiri nEram) but I've never heard them before...so skip (A_S may come and say these should be booked under 'app-missed-list')...

Yes I have heard these two, "Nadapathu nadakattum" is quite an energetic song, IIRC SR sings this while drunk in the movie! Here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PnPxtd1W1I&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 02:29 PM
App: 'engirundhO iLanguyilin' also had a SJ version and as is typical with IR, had entirely different but equally admirable & unforgettable musical arrangement. And if I remember it right, this song was like a theme music for this movie with the tune getting played at important moments. As I had indicated in my earlier post on IR's outstanding compositions (with SPB getting a major chunk) for SR movies, VVP, Nadigan, Brahma, TP (that you will be covering in 1992 compositions) all had very good songs (mostly sung by SPB & SJ). Most of SR movies (in 1991 & beyond) had two heroines (Brahma had Kusbhu & BP). This movie was directed by Subhash (MR's assistant who had also directed VK-BP movie Chatriyan the previous year) and was a 1991 Deepavali release (that had Dhalapathy, Guna, Thalattu Ketkuttamma and a few other movies). For some reason, this movie was re-made by the same director in Hindi few years later (in 1995 if I remember it right) & not immediately. As always expecting Murali sir to provide accurate details :)

Yes, SR had many movies with SPB + IR. There was a wonderfull song called "vaigai nathi oram pon malai nEram" by SPB + SJ. The highlight of the song is that SJ would start singing "ennam enum eetil" and SPB will interept and say (Speak) "Apadi illa naan padaran parunga" . Superb! SPB voice ! :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 02:40 PM
I don't want this thread to end. S'not enough, what to do...?..

If we include SPB+IR's telugu numbers, we can take it a bit further. Flau help needed :)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 02:41 PM
V_S Kalakureenga :thumbsup:

groucho070
13th April 2012, 03:19 PM
If we include SPB+IR's telugu numbers, we can take it a bit further. Flau help needed :)Nevaire....if sarakku theernthupochufy, then we move on to others - app should definitely have memories triggered by IR/MV, IR/PJ, IR/KJY and even IR/flogged dead horse. app got his work cut out for him, I say....

A_S
13th April 2012, 03:19 PM
Param, "vaigai nathi oram pon malai nEram" is from Rickshaw Mama (1992) directed by PV who became the most sought after director in TF post CT. SR was paired with Kushbhu and Gautami (two heroine sentiment that I had referred to in my earlier post) in this movie. Recently Sun Music and Isaiaruvi have started playing some of these outstanding early-mid 90s (1991-95) compositions (that for multiple reasons didn't get the deserved recognition at the time of release) of IR. It looks like 1992 has lots of SPB-IR songs especially of this category.

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 03:34 PM
IR/MV, IR/PJ, IR/KJY and even IR/flogged dead horse. app got his work cut out for him, I say.... I dont think that will be as effective as IR + SPB! Not at all, perhaps IR + KJY/PJ may run for 100 pages

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 03:36 PM
IR/flogged dead horse

ithu mathiram nadanthuchenna evana irunthaalum uthaipEn :evil: :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 03:37 PM
Param, "vaigai nathi oram pon malai nEram" is from Rickshaw Mama (1992)

Yes, that's the one :ty:

SoftSword
13th April 2012, 05:07 PM
V_S :no_words:
vaartthailayae violin vaasikkireenga :notworthy:

SoftSword
13th April 2012, 06:18 PM
One correction to my earlier post, Panakkaran was also released in 1990 (on Pongal day) and hence there were two releases for RK in 1990. Disappointment for his fans was no RK release for 1990 Deepavali (that had MMKR for KH) and hence 1991 Pongal was set as a hard deadline for the release of DD. In 1980s, both RK and KH had deepvali releases almost every year (except for 1988 when KH didn't have one). Looks like DD wasn't remade from any hindi movie based on Grouch's question.

hi A_S,

it would be great if u can throw information on the simultaneous releases of Rajini and Kamal during festival times...

app_engine
13th April 2012, 07:41 PM
V_Sji!

Speechless!

mikka nanRi!

:clap:

One of the best posts I've read in the hub, for a very worthy song!

Instead of quenching our thirst & satisfying our appetite, your writing has only increased them :wink:

That means this thread will have a lot more longevity - much beyond the 'avasarakkOlam-aLLiththeLikkal-one-a-day' compilation of mine :-)

While time availability is going to be an ongoing constraint for you, on the flip side, there's no "deadline / time limit"!

You can pick songs at leisure and keep posting about them for a long time (most of the 300+ posted here deserve your detailed analysis while you wrote about only a select few based on requests) :-)

app_engine
13th April 2012, 07:52 PM
App, can you confirm ejjatly when they started releasing the audios first?

I don't know for sure - that probably predates my birth :-)

From the time I've started following IR's releases closely, they had mostly been prior to movie releases. No big "release functions" as V_S informed earlier, but the recording centers used to place the new release disks predominantly displayed - sometimes even with posters.

Occasionally, there had been newspaper advertisements for "isaiththattu veLiyeedu" also. I clearly remember the 'alaigal Oyvathillai', 'ninaivellAm nithyA','kAdhal Oviyam' LP record release advertisements on paper. Those were done by the music companies, in association with the movie producers. Polydor released 'alaigal Oyvathillai' as their first Thamizh album (Thiyagarajan was a manager in that company who acted in that movie too - prior to that, I've seen only Hindi records by that company).

Needless to say, the songs were playing in recording centers and tea-shops much before the film got released. In most cases, the audio companies also made sure they get copies available to IOKS that broadcasted the songs without bothering about whether the movie got released or not. (AIR had a policy not to broadcast songs from unreleased movies). Since a big area of TN was covered by IOKS broadcasts, the songs reached patti-thotti well ahead of the movie's release :-) (IOKS is the reason how I even know 'sOlai pushpangaLE' was originally meant for the unreleased movie 'oomai veyyil' - even though it later became part of 'ingEyum oru gangai' as director Manivannan bought the rights)

jaiganes
13th April 2012, 08:23 PM
Yes I have heard these two, "Nadapathu nadakattum" is quite an energetic song, IIRC SR sings this while drunk in the movie! Here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PnPxtd1W1I&feature=player_detailpage
More than just being energetic.. the song has a trippy rhythm structure and the way it has been structured is a goooogleee.
I mean while the voice is on, there is one pattern and then in the interludes and intercharanam ludes, the rhythm skips and sputters - much like a drunkard's footsteps.. Sometimes I feel Raaja is keenly observing the goings on in the world and tries to recreate them in music - A true Brahma in those terms..

jaiganes
13th April 2012, 08:30 PM
Sundari KaNNaal oru SEidhi - Thalapathi

Any film released on a Deepavali day is always special. Watching the film in the midst of all the fire-crackers around and also along with the noise of the crowd is something special. Most important thing, watching it first show. Nothing like that. The film too should also deserve to be celebrated on the Deepavali day. A dull film on a deepavali day is not a welcome. It should be a grand one. Whether it has substance or not does not matter as long as it entertains the crowd on that special day is what matters the most. We would hardly hear any dialogues on the first shows. Still that did not cause any displeasure. Moving with the crowd. Remember those days standing in the long queues hours together in that hot sun, a week or two before the release to grab the tickets. No online tickets those times. The satisfaction after we get the tickets is itself like watching the film. Remembering the Mannan scene how Rajini and Annan get the tickets. You can never match that experience. Big cut-outs, grand decorations, ferocious crowd, fire-crackers, lighting camphors, more than the Deepavali festival, the theaters wore a grand festive look. I don't remember if I had gone to temple on that auspicious day, but I do remember that I have watched many films the first show especially on a Deepavali day which also include Thalapathi. Sometimes they release a day before or on a Friday. Also apart from the movies, wearing new dresses with pride, enjoying lunch and sweets at every friends house is all a unique experience. Those days we never get full whatever we eat, so much appetite. :smile: To add more spice, good TV programs all day. Returning back to our homes only during the night. This trend in south is for just one day deepavali affair, but imagine a 5-day diwali (including Lakshmi Puja and Bhaubeej/Bhayya Duj) celebration in north and how would that be. This is the only indian festival which is celebrated across religions and across countries. A festival of lights which happen almost close to new moon day, which lit up the dark sky only to show that today, the heaven is on earth. That craze is surely gone now for me, staying away from home.

The expectation from this film was already sky-high even before its release. Many magazines already posted about the brief story-line with Rajini and Mamooty's stills. Those days there were no audio releases like today, so we were guessing all the time how the songs would be and also excited to watch the film. With that excitement, we watched it on the first day. Definitely it was great film for the first time. As and when we got to see multiple times, the tiredness in the film surely woke us up except for some great acting performances. Starting from Agni Natchathiram, it was obvious to us that Mani has started giving more importance to style rather than substance. Dialogues became shorter and discontinuous, editing became more harsh/abrupt, cluttered/shallow story-telling/script without going deep into the subject, but somehow managed to create controversies in almost every film, which gained the publicity for the film. Most of all, he chose the best composer in his films which worked every time. Three Mani films I liked the most were Mouna Raagam, Nayagan and Alai Paayuthe, to some extent Kannathil Muthamittaal. He is very good in love subjects, but when he combines it with other social elements, that grip is not there, as surely there is a confusion which one to take and which one to leave. Without further delving, let us switch to one of the best song which mesmerized millions. A song which was a rage at that time. Every radio program was airing these songs. Doordharshan was playing these songs every week or so.

She sees a violent event on road when she is traveling by bus. Her lover is cutting another man's hand. Stone-hearted. She is shocked. She is alone and waiting for him. He comes there and says he is like that and cannot change. He assumes that she will not like him because of her brought-up, yet she is madly in love with him. The stone-heart melts. The fear in her whether he will be with her always in her life. The fear in him whether she will marry him or get separated. Fear is the biggest cause of all problems. She dreams that sometimes he is with her, sometimes he is away from her. Which one is true?. Mani has handled the song cleverly except he forces some unwanted war scenes just to make it grand (another case of style vs substance). Maestro will never say No as he has enormous scope for this WCM orchestration skills. Mani leaves the audience to guess whether this is a dream song for Shobana, Rajini or both, as he cuts the scene just before, with Shobana lying in Rajini's lap. That's where the song starts. I am going to take a little different route this time.

Mani decides to go to Italy using a space shuttle which switches him back to 17th century. That's the birth place of many legends and genius composer on the banks of venice, just like our divine kaveri river side. He believes he can get a good score only from Renaissance period composers like Claudio Monteverdi. He knocks the door of Monteverdi and introduces himself. Claudio welcomes him with a warm smile. Mani asks him if he can score a song for his latest film Thalapathi explaining the above situation which he obliges. Mani explains him the situation and also conveys that this is a dream song. She is constantly thinking of him and he is far away. She is fearful if he will marry her or she will be left alone. She is caught in a tension and confusion. She sends her love to him and he responds. Claudio stops him there. After carefully conceiving this situation he invents a new technique called Tremolo just for this situation. Claudio does not know at that time, the concept he invents will be the base for scientists like Marconi in 19th/20th century to invent another wonderful concept in transmitting voice and music signals over radio waves through amplitude modulation (AM). Claudio plays this portion with his orchestra.

Tremolo technique is normally used with varying signal strength, that's why we hear that trembling effect, as the frequency is constant. She is constantly thinking of him (like frequency constant), but he is far away, so the signal strength (signal is constant, only its strength) varies. The information on that signal is vital. If you can hear that sober flute (implying her sober heart) on top of that tremolo, which is the information, she wants to send him through that tremolo. Once the signal reaches him on the same carrier (tremolo), he sends back another signal (I think some wind instrument, not sure, if that is a sax) on the same carrier which reaches her, before he reaches her. Once she sees him, the mood completely changes and both rushing towards each other. The sounds matches the galloping horse when he grabs and takes her into his horse. After this, we would assume the tremolo would end, as they both now united, still Maestro continues the tremolo but you can hear the tremolo in different ranges when the bell sounds come in. The bell sound is an indication of auspicious occasion, that is their marriage. So, when the bell rings they exchange the garlands. Even when they met and they know they are going to unite (again only in dreams), they are still nervous till they are married. So the tremolo sound continues, but taking different ranges, one for her and another for him. Once they exchange the garlands, the nervousness comes down, so tremolo stops there. When he plays with his orchestra, Mani was stunned by that sound. That clearly explained what he was thinking in his mind about the situation and he was surprised to hear that Claudio brought out exactly what he was thinking. That's the trembling effect the heroine experiences since his lover is far away.

Meanwhile Claudio gets a call from church that he is already late and has to perform madrigals, so he feels sorry and leaves in a hurry. Mani now caught in dilemma, switches back his machine to 18th century to get a glimpse of this music scenario, but he somehow lands on the banks of river Kaveri, which he never expected. Saint Thyagaraja was singing

'sundari nee divya roopamanu chooda thanakku dorikenamma,
manda gamana neethu kadaksha balamo, mundhati poojaa balamo tripura'

on the streets in the name of the Goddess Gowri describing her beauty in ever glorious Kalyani raagam. 'Oh Beauty of the three worlds. I am lucky to have seen your pretty form. Oh Goddess, with a pretty walk, this luck of mine is due to your side long glance, or it may be due to the worships I did earlier.' That struck our Mani sir like never before and he decides there that his song should be like this and in this raagam, totally forgetting about what Claudio offered earlier. He even got how the lyrics should sound. Sundari kanaal our sedhi (similar to 'this luck of mine is due to your side long glance' from Thyagaraja).

He could not visualize further, but he could not wait either for that piece to be composed. He assumes that St. Thyagaraja is singing for his situation. With his blessings, he leaves from there. Suddenly remembers Claudio again to go back to Italy, but switches his machine to early 20th century to see how Western classical music has developed only to see the World is torn into pieces because of World wars. He sees the pain suffered back in the family when he fights for his country. This cue struck him and he directly reaches to Giacomo Puccini (a great successor to Verdi, who is known for his famous operas) to compose a opera/oratario piece for the interludes explaining the war situation and how it separates the family.

Starting with the marching drums with high horns creates the tension in the war ground, while the choir which follows it, depicts the family behind, longing for his men. There is both male and female choir. For a split second it appears like a vocal counterpoint, but it is THE BEST and wonderful harmony, clearly showing the hearts of men (male choir) at war and the hearts of women (female choir) back at home, beating a similar pattern, even when they are performing their respective duties one at war and another back at home. After the war is over that day, the loneliness creeps in, when the dusk sets in. That's where the violin ensemble soothes both their hearts. Mani could not believe what he was hearing. Touched Puccini's feet. With that music ringing his ears and with heavy heart, he flies away seeing the atrocities during the World war, back to 14th century, to have solace and love, nothing else.

Amir Khusrau a great poet and scholar of India during medieval times, welcomes him with this beautiful poem.

Do not overlook my misery by blandishing your eyes, and weaving tales; My patience has over-brimmed,
O sweetheart, why do you not take me to your bosom.
Long like curls in the night of separation, short like life on the day of our union;
My dear, how will I pass the dark dungeon night without your face before.

After a good night sleep with these mind-soothing poems and also assuming composer Tansen (of 16th century) singing these songs, he gets up from the bed to see that he was in a big dream the whole night. Back to the future Part IV. :wink: He was shocked to see that he was still at his home and could not believe what he dreamt last night. After freshening up, he immediately rushed to Prasad studio to convey all that he dreamed last night, to Maestro before he forgets. Maestro, just seeing his face and impatience, he got all the telepathy and morse codes from all those above great men Mani met last night in his dream :smile:. He immediately called on Vaali sir, SPB sir, Janaki Amma and the whole orchestra. While Mani was impatiently waiting to tell the situation for that song and how he liked to see that song, Maestro started with the same Tremolo and flute which he heard in his dreams. He thought that was a coincidence, when Vaali sir started his song with 'Sundari' he got reminded of St. Thyagaraja's Sundari Nee kriti in Kalyani raagam. He was astonished to see Maestro coming with same raagam with similar lyrics glorying the lover, just like St. Thyagaraja was glorying Goddess Gowri. Still he was not convinced. That's when Maestro started his war theme in opera style, same what he heard from Puccini, he got stranded. But he was quite sure that Amir Khusrau poetry cannot be replaced here, when SPB was singing

maadhangaLum vaaram aagum naanum neeyum kudinaal
vaarangaLum maadham aagum paadhai maari oadinaal

He immediately recalled 'Long like curis in the night of separation, short like life on the day of our union' from Amir Khusau's poem. He goes and hugs Vaali sir and SPB. Lyrics was again outstanding with both SPB and SJ's voice and singing brimming with soul.

Maestro has still not finished his composition. He still has to do second interlude. While he starts on the same road as he did the first interlude, with the marching drums and trumpets, he takes a different turn when he starts the violin along with trumpet. As and when a head of a soldier is cut or as and when he is wounded, the violin cries which directly transmits that sad signal to their family. The culminating flute with underlying violin tells story of the bereaved family. Mani feels it was way better than what he heard from Puccini last night as this piece directly relates to pain, not just in lovers heart, but the pain for the love itself. He now feels that his dream has come true, rushed to Maestro, hugs and kisses him. Maestro gives him a gentle smile and leaves as if he did nothing.

It is extra-ordinary to think this way as we can see the clouds of ambiguity clears out as we go from century to century when we hear diametrically opposite genres. Where is Renaissance, where is Kalyani, where is opera, and where is the poetry. Where is Monteverdi, where is St. Thyagaraja, where is Amir Khusrau and where is Puccini. If you hear the melody separately and interludes separately, you will never identify these pieces are for the same song. Int that way, it is a very rare composition; that it has no connection between pallavi/charanam and its interlude. Interlude is a separate western classical piece with no connection whatsoever to the melodic structure. Sameway, the melody has no connection to its interlude, yet with the last bar, how he connects both these diametrically opposite pieces seamlessly together is a testimony to this genius. :notworthy: The main highlight of the song is not these separate pieces, but how he brings all those legends of yesteryears in front of us together without we need to go back to their times. Maestro eases our job of listening and also eases the job of directors by bringing these hidden elements of treasure on his own, having studied and appreciated all forms of music thoroughly and seen all faces of music daily. A composition worth more than a billion, by one and only complete musician of our times. Do we deserve it?
Agree word to word on this brilliant post except the bolded lines... It is purely mani's passion.. Many interviewers have asked him to define the most difficult step in Indian film making and Mani's constant refrain has been "picturising" and maintaining a narrative structure around music. So it is not a gimmick - but a conscious desire on the part of Mani to do this- and in Sundari - he does the BEST. nicely weaves a narrative context around the song and then complements it with gorgeous picturisation that reflects the totally different worlds the hero and heroine inhabit.. One coy and pleasant pastoral, the other one harsh, gloomy and bloody battlefield.. This aesthetic and poetic visualisation speaks a thousand scenes written to reinforce the contrast.. Awesome at all levels. Hats off to Mani Ratnam the genius..

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 08:32 PM
More than just being energetic.. the song has a trippy rhythm structure and the way it has been structured is a goooogleee.
I mean while the voice is on, there is one pattern and then in the interludes and intercharanam ludes, the rhythm skips and sputters - much like a drunkard's footsteps.. Sometimes I feel Raaja is keenly observing the goings on in the world and tries to recreate them in music - A true Brahma in those terms..

Yes very true!

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 08:37 PM
Wasn't Kamal's Kalaignan and Orabhu;'s Rajakumaran release on 92 ?

V_S
13th April 2012, 09:09 PM
Thank you very much Bala, SS, App, Jai, Param, A_S for all your elevating comments and kind words.:D I am really moved. All credit to Maestro and big thanks to App for asking me to write.

As Jai mentioned, everything is perfect in this song, even the kitchen sink. :lol: Mani is always lucky when it comes to songs.

Yes, I agree. As Bala/grouch/App mentioned, we should not stop this thread, we should be moving, as there are lot of treasures like this we need to savor. Whatever little contribution, we can make, we should make it. Yes the frequency of the posts might be an issue, but definitely I will make sure, to post whenever and whatever I little can.

Thanks again for all your support! :smile:

V_S
13th April 2012, 09:11 PM
Jai,
Wonderful points and nicely put. :clap: I agree. The reason why I wrote that is, as a song narration and as a stand-alone piece yes it is awesome and Mani has done it superbly. But I was thinking more from the overall script perspective, how it fits into the story, and whether can it be done a little bit differently. Since this is a dream sequence and anything we can dream, yes then you are right in that perspective.

jaiganes
13th April 2012, 09:19 PM
Jai,
Wonderful points and nicely put. :clap: I agree. The reason why I wrote that is, as a song narration and as a stand-alone piece yes it is awesome and Mani has done it superbly. But I was thinking more from the overall script perspective, how it fits into the story, and whether can it be done a little bit differently. Since this is a dream sequence and anything we can dream, yes then you are right in that perspective.
Dreams belong to the character and in that respect - it still stays in sync with the character and story unlike the happily dancing in foreign locales.

HonestRaj
13th April 2012, 09:20 PM
I don't think I'll find time to clear the backlog in the near future :-(

This new project assignment may not allow as much time as the lazy last one...

In any case, this compilation is nearing its end and it doesn't hurt not to rush the posts :wink:

app.. pls come to 1992 pongal..
awaiting for "muthu mani maalai" - chinna gounder :)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 09:27 PM
app.. pls come to 1992 pongal..
awaiting for "muthu mani maalai" - chinna gounder :)

Konjum porunga, matha padangala mudichutu varuvaar :)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th April 2012, 09:36 PM
// Hi All ,

It's an urgent request, Can some one please provide me the following info.

1) Can some one pls post me the Lyrics of the song "pen enbathO poovenbathO kadhal penne kannana kan allavo" by SPB from the movie "Annaparavai"(1980's).

Manythanks
//

V_S
13th April 2012, 09:41 PM
Dreams belong to the character and in that respect - it still stays in sync with the character and story unlike the happily dancing in foreign locales.
Oh No, please don't remind this. :smile: This is all now. We cannot compare these with Mani's films (I mean even his bad film). When these films were released, Mani was at his peak of his creation, so our thoughts were also quite high, especially when it comes to Mani films. But, we were kind of detached from the film when we were seeing this song, thinking we were seeing a different film, that's the reason of my thought.

venkkiram
13th April 2012, 09:56 PM
best song in indian films(music, arrangement, melody choclatey, picturisation, rajini, SPB everything, kitchen sink) , period .

திரு V_S ஆகச் சிறந்த பதிவு. பாராட்டுக்கள்! :notworthy:

கனவுப் பாடல்கள் என்ற வரிசையில் இசை, ஒளிப்பதிவு, காட்சிப்படுத்தல் மிகச் சிறந்த ஆக்கங்களில் ஒன்று. சந்தேகமேயில்லை. ஆனால் பாடல் வரிகள் பெரிதான அழுத்தத்தை கொடுக்கவில்லை. அது ஒன்றுதான் திருஷ்டி வைத்தாற்போல இருக்கிறது.

V_S
13th April 2012, 11:29 PM
மிக்க நன்றி venkkiram.:D Delighted to hear from you!

app_engine
14th April 2012, 01:58 AM
thiraippAdal lists a movie called 'irumbu pookkaL' and that has a SPB-KSC song 'muththAna muththam' - never heard it before, skip.

next movie is 'idhayam' - I've heard only the IR song 'April MayilE' & the KJY song 'pottu vaiththa oru vatta nilA'. Both the SPB songs - 'idhayamE' & 'poonkodi thAn' are unknown to me. skip.

kaNNukkoru vaNNakkiLi is next - 'unnai nAn pArkkaiyil' with Asha B - never heard of it. skip.

'pooththu pooththu kulunguthadi' & 'pAttu onna' - both songs sound so sweet from the GA directed movie kumbakkarai thangaiyyA - but I'm hearing both the songs for the first time, so cannot host on the thread.

thAlAttu kEtkuthammA has 3 SPB numbers - nEnthukkitta, sutti sutti, yammA yammA - all unfamiliar, from a Prabhu movie :shock:

Even more shocking is the fact that two SPB-SJ numbers from a Sridhar movie - thanthu vittEn ennai - mannavanE & thenRal nee are also unknown to me :-( (Was this the debut of Vikram?)

kanavu paliththadhu from veRRippadikaL - another skip

Nothing against any of the songs above - lack of familiarity must be my problem.

So, end of 1991 :shock:

app_engine
14th April 2012, 02:13 AM
Links for 1990 & prior years from here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=836682&viewfull=1#post836682)

Here are the links for 1991's SPB-IR hits :

#332 adi rAkkammA kaiyaththattu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=836692&viewfull=1#post836692)
#333 kAttukkuyilu manasukkuLLa (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=837310&viewfull=1#post837310)
#334 sundhari kaNNAl oru sEthi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=837827&viewfull=1#post837827)
#335 pOvOmA oorkOlam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=838297&viewfull=1#post838297)
#336 aRaichcha santhanam maNakkum kungumam (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=840796&viewfull=1#post840796)
#337 kuyilappudichchu kooNdiladachchu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=840803&viewfull=1#post840803)
#338 santhaikku vantha kiLi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=841911&viewfull=1#post841911)
#339 ANenna peNNenna (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=842851&viewfull=1#post842851)
#340 kAdhal kavidhaikaL padiththidum nEram (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=842860&viewfull=1#post842860)
#341 kELadi en pAvaiyE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=843370&viewfull=1#post843370)
#342 varudhu varudhu iLankAththu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=843377&viewfull=1#post843377)
#343 engirundhO iLanguyilin (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AA%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%85%E0%AE%B0%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%A4%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D-songs&p=844545&viewfull=1#post844545)

app_engine
14th April 2012, 02:15 AM
A whole year without a hit from the IR-SPB-KH combo, this 1991 :roll:

Well, let's then begin 1992 with a Kamal song - from the movie produced by IR's family :wink:

app_engine
14th April 2012, 02:47 AM
#344 இன்னும் என்னை என்ன செய்யப்போகிறாய்
(சிங்காரவேலன், 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3340'&lang=en)

'innum ennai enna seyyappOkiRai' from singAravElan, with SJ

What a sweet joy ride this song! rAsA in his thEneechcha form and the top duet pair delivering a thoroughly enjoyable number for a beautiful pair on screen! Supposedly a 'gambheera nAttai' rAgA based number. That should have been among the sweeter set of rAgAs :-) Also, the overall construct of the song has the effect of making one soar high and float - paRavaikaLaippOl uNara vaikkum aRputha number!

Lot had been written and discussed about this song on TFM-DF and elsewhere on the net. The song deserves every one of those praises and more! Obviously, I have little more to add by way of musical analysis and let me take my favourite tangent trip :-)

It was a year after kAl kattu. Towards the end of 1991, work related travels increased like anything. The company possibly had an unwritten policy to send newly-wedded engineers on a lot of tours :lol: However, I was smarter and took my wife along in 90% of them and one occasion was really funny. It was an evening in MG Road, Bangalore and we were both enjoying the weather - talking , walking happily & also shopping. And, there he was, my boss coming from the opposite side in the footpath :lol: He couldn't believe his eyes that someone can be so "indisciplined" and take spouse on an "official trip".

Well, when he had to approve my travel bills for that trip, he was hoping to catch me with lot of bills and expenses (he was a terror for all but could never frighten me). Since the statement showed every thing on a "flat rate" thingy (matlab, much lower than what was typically spent), he was in for a disappointment. All those trips also meant that there was very less time for listening to TFM in life. However, it provided a lot of opportunities to meet with new (wife side) relatives and naturally a lot of music-related-talk with newer people.

My old-bachelor associates were talking about this singAra vElan movie a lot in the workplace and I got the cassette during one of those trips in Bangalore. Obviously, this song was my top & instant favourite. I don't think the cassette had 'thoothu selvadhAradi', which became another top favourite after watching the movie. (The others were initially disappointing a bit - coming from IR for a pAvalar creations movie with Kamal - but "grew on me" to be favourites over a period of time :wink:).

app_engine
14th April 2012, 03:01 AM
#345 அட ஒரங்கா ஸ்ரீலங்கா கொப்பரத்தேங்கா
(சிங்காரவேலன், 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3341'&lang=en)

'ada OrangA sreelankA kopparaththEngA' of SV

The lyrics and the scene :shock: Ofcourse, such references are not new in TFM - right from MGR days (and may be prior), such tease songs abound. The difference is such were reserved for front benchers - with loud orchestration etc in the pre-IR days and the "elite" typically avoided such numbers. (MGR's 'kAyA idhu pazhamA konjam thottuppAkktumA' etc were big kOlambi speaker hits in villages but middle-class and above generally did mugam suzhippu to such songs). OTOH, IR simbly brought such songs to main-stream, firstly with a big gang of dedicated IRFs -that prior composers could not boast of & a group that came from all walks of life (vAdi en kappakkezhangE was played across all social groups without inhibition) and secondly with very polished orchestration that often hid the shocking lines.

Well, catchy song, SPB excels - Kamal has uninhibited fun on screen and rAsA provides sweet orchestration. (The KH-Kushbu friendship is so much that recently the lady made a remark that KH knows her likes / dislikes better than she herself :shock:)

jaiganes
14th April 2012, 03:08 AM
thiraippAdal lists a movie called 'irumbu pookkaL' and that has a SPB-KSC song 'muththAna muththam' - never heard it before, skip.

next movie is 'idhayam' - I've heard only the IR song 'April MayilE' & the KJY song 'pottu vaiththa oru vatta nilA'. Both the SPB songs - 'idhayamE' & 'poonkodi thAn' are unknown to me. skip.

kaNNukkoru vaNNakkiLi is next - 'unnai nAn pArkkaiyil' with Asha B - never heard of it. skip.

'pooththu pooththu kulunguthadi' & 'pAttu onna' - both songs sound so sweet from the GA directed movie kumbakkarai thangaiyyA - but I'm hearing both the songs for the first time, so cannot host on the thread.

thAlAttu kEtkuthammA has 3 SPB numbers - nEnthukkitta, sutti sutti, yammA yammA - all unfamiliar, from a Prabhu movie :shock:

Even more shocking is the fact that two SPB-SJ numbers from a Sridhar movie - thanthu vittEn ennai - mannavanE & thenRal nee are also unknown to me :-( (Was this the debut of Vikram?)

kanavu paliththadhu from veRRippadikaL - another skip

Nothing against any of the songs above - lack of familiarity must be my problem.

Fantastic numbers these..
Particular mention goes out to Poongodi dhaan poothadhamma from idhayam.. This is how a soup song must be done -
proper thamizh song admonishing a shy guy for not having guts to speak out his love.. From Kadhir, this song had a nice picturisation in the backdrop of
rough bay of bengal shore around ennore. Had the staple Raju sundaram dance troupe doing strange dance moves.. Vaallee's lyrics were nice and apt..
But the soul of the character and the sequence was carried off by SPB's choked singing in charanams where the rhythm again shifts a few gears down and
conveys the confusion of the character...
A nice pathos song from a melodious album..

app_engine
14th April 2012, 03:25 AM
#346 புதுச்சேரி கச்சேரி எக்கச்சக்க பார்ட்டி
(சிங்காரவேலன், 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3343'&lang=en)

'puduchchEri kachchEri' of SV

This is a sweet song - clearly SPB special - that gets extremely good in the saraNam and boasts of a lovely orchestration. The song should have been a kids favourite at the time of arrival (because both my children loved this song years later). I love the solo violin kuRumbu parts of the song. (The sOga version too has nice orchestration).

After MMKR, this one is perhaps the VHS that got played maximum at home during the recent years. It had never failed to keep me ROTFLing. While KH has a great sense of humor and timing, we have gounder as a big bonus in this movie. The way in which he delivers - hA - unbelievable! Ofcourse, the most thrilling scene for me is their visit to star hotel and gounder's remarks for the coffee :lol: Everytime I pick up a furniture or an equipment here, I'm reminded of that (as all you get are some pieces of wood / ply wood, screws, legs etc and an align key with instructions to assemble)! It has its advantages, however, as one gets trained and don't depend upon others to do the job. Occasionally, it saves money too (Sears charges > $150 to send a person to assemble an elliptical that costed $375 on sale...me & my 19 yr old assembled it in just about an hour :lol2:)

Sunil_M88
14th April 2012, 04:33 AM
Thanks App Sir, if I didn’t see your post on the latest heard song thread then I might of missed this.

V_S Sir, congratulations on one of the best if not the best colossal write-up I’ve witnessed in the hub.
The :thumbsup: :clap: and :bow: are all worthless here. I don’t see your post as a write-up, in fact for me it was truly one heck of a journey. Moving words which transported me elsewhere and also touched a sentimental chord.

I assume you might reply, saying how all credit is due to the Maestro as he conceived the song but the aspects you put fourth i.e. Tremolo was your brain child. I think I can relate to this Tremolo (signal), it definitely exists between to soul mates, lovers or whatever you want to call them. I’ve definitely felt it for my dear ones. But to explain this bond in mere words and that too through music is definitely an intelligent move, sir!

Back to the song, yes one wonders how Raaja Saab weaves in the contrasting interludes supported by Mani’s picturisation of our Superstar as a samurai. Genius, pure genius! The visuals are how one would picture the song if they had their eyes closed. Right from the tabla (mandir portion) to the military snare drum timpani rolls (battlefield), everything as you rightly said is dreamy. Punjabi: Par Tusi V_S bhaji char chand laga dithe gaane uthe. Eng: but you my bro have put more medals on this song then the song already had.

And well said about Diwali releases!

TBH, to answer your last question on whether we deserve this or not... I think whoever has heard and watched this song, should consider themselves very very fortunate.

Nerd
14th April 2012, 04:49 AM

:shock: :shock: :shock: Were you in mars? Undoubtedly your biggest miss. And quite a few *big* misses in that post.

Anyway please continue whenever you can. Really miss(ed) the posts.

V_S
14th April 2012, 06:10 AM
Sunil Bhai, Thank you so much for your pouring compliments and it's one of the best compliments I have ever heard. :D Really moved by your words in punjabi. Somehow Maestro writes it for me everytime. Yes as you told the picturisation is well complemented by the music and vice versa. You rightly finished, we are very fortunate to listen to these treasures. Thanks again!

V_S
14th April 2012, 06:26 AM
App,
Yes as Nerd told, many from your missing list were big hits. I love Kumbakkarai Thangayya and Thaalattu Kektkuthamma songs very much. I remember poothu poothu kulunguthadi poovu repeating in my home system for weeks. Honey-dripping song. No words to describe Idhayam songs. The film I watched again in Chidambaram, almost everyday evening show. I even remember reading Hindu review of the film and music. They had written really bad about IR songs and music. 'From the music it seems IR was doing some testing on his music' something of that sort. We were all so upset. We know now rest is history. Excellent BGM and whenever I play them I cannot stop them. Raja what can I give you in return just for this? One of my best loved love film. This film is a poetry. It really shook me that time. Every song, every bit of music, every scene is just etched in me. Even today I don't feel tired of watching it. Murali. :sad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdglhHfRirU

Thanks a lot to raajarasigan our hubber for uploading these wonderful bgm. :clap:

Plum
14th April 2012, 07:34 AM
were you in Mars No, as explained by him, he was un the newfound grip of planet Venus at that time ;-). 2) V_S - that must have been the handiwork of DS Ramanujam of MtRdMahaVishnu , who was heavily promoting SARs Virus and DEVAngaNam at that time. As you can infer from the name, the feller possibly had caste-based or previous-MD-affection based objection to IR. I'd have loved to unleash hubber geno on him - with full justification for a typical geno diatribe. For PNPN, he wrote of abaswaram in karuththa machchaan - innikku varaikkin engennu enakku theriyala, ungalukku therinjaa sollunga

venkkiram
14th April 2012, 08:23 AM
திரு v_s, "சுந்தரி கண்ணால் ஒரு சேதி.." பாடலுக்கான உங்களது பதிவை சொல்வனம் போன்ற தமிழ் இதழ்களில் தகுந்த நபர்களைத் தொடர்புகொண்டு, மொழி பெயர்த்து பதிவு செய்ய முயற்சி எடுக்கவும்/ அல்லது தெரிந்த நண்பர்கள் உதவி செய்யலாம். ஆங்கில நடையில் மட்டுமே அமைந்து ஒரு குறுகிய நதியாக ஓடாமல், தமிழில் பதிவு செய்து கருத்தோட்டத்தை அகல, ஆழப்படுத்தவும்.

Nerd
14th April 2012, 08:45 AM
Actually one saying he/she has not listened to unnaiththaan niththam niththam wasn't as surprising/shocking. Idhayam songs - 'cultest' songs for one of the 'cultest' films. And huge HUGE HUGE hits - only because of Raaja.

V_Sji, Confession - this was the first time I read one of your long posts. Its not that I was ignoring those, I could not afford to take long breaks at work - most of my hubbing happens at work. And also my inability to comprehend such insightful posts due to lack of any kind of music knowledge was a barrier.

Sundari, wow, the way you have explained how Raaja connected different forms of music, (eventhough way beyond my comprehension) mindblowing sir. Hats off. The next time(s) I listen to this song will be special, for sure :-)

Will sure get to the bookmarked posts on this thread and Raaja's duet threads pretty soon. Thanks for writing those posts, especially for us. No words, :bow:

Plum
14th April 2012, 12:40 PM
As I had indicated in my earlier post on IR's outstanding compositions (with SPB getting a major chunk) for SR movies, VVP, Nadigan, Brahma, TP (that you will be covering in 1992 compositions) all had very good songs (mostly sung by SPB & SJ). Most of SR movies (in 1991 & beyond) had two heroines (Brahma had Kusbhu & BP). This
Yes - and most of these had one among the 3C2 permutations of (Khushboo, Bhanupriya, Gauthami). Sathyaraj tried all possible 3some combinations then ;-)

Plum
14th April 2012, 12:47 PM
Farams - yes seethakoka chiluka is the telugu version of Alaigal Oyvadhillai. Bharathirajaa remade it himself. Aruna Mucharla, whom he introduced in tamil in Kallukkul Eeram was given another fresh lease (in telugu) by her patron.

A_S - yes Brahmma was remade in indhi with Govinda and Madhoo(of Roja).

V_S - vAzhga vaLarga! :bow:

Plum
14th April 2012, 12:56 PM
It seems that as the 80s waned and the 90s loomed in, Chennai/Popular media run from Chennai diverged further and further from then thamizhnAdu. This probably explains app not being familiar Idhayam's soup songs, big hit in Chennai but not quite to the extent of humongous then thamizhnaadu hits(even prior to Roja) like Lullaby Being Heard and UrnBank GoldLord in then thamizhnaadu. It would seem that the divergence started even prior to Roja. Going by the acute discomfort of some of the posh, urban youth of that time now in this forum, who heap scorn upon scorn on the rural sounds of Raja of then, it seems he gradually lost the modern trend mahadevans starting around this period.

Plum
14th April 2012, 12:57 PM
Ofocurse, that doesnt explain app's unfamiliarity with humongous then thamizhnaadu hits UB GL and LBH. Perhaps, being holed up in Kerala with the new found influence of Venus in his life distracting him could be the reason.

Plum
14th April 2012, 01:08 PM
Actually, kaNNukkoru vaNnakiLi indha periodla release AchungaRadhu dhAn AcharyamA irukku - not sure how it escaped my attention. Last year, i happened to hear the album in thiraipaadal - one song by IR - Gaanam thenkARROdu - is a stunner, that seems to be out of place in this album, I suspect it was composed earlier during the EVK period...

al_gates
14th April 2012, 02:02 PM
2) V_S - that must have been the handiwork of DS Ramanujam of MtRdMahaVishnu , who was heavily promoting SARs Virus and DEVAngaNam at that time.

Plum and all, you guys amaze me every time this time bringing up reviews from 1988 Hindu :)
Related note::
http://tfmpage.com/forum/5758.15.43.01.html

Plum
14th April 2012, 03:58 PM
Al - that's some link :lol:. Looks like DSR's notoriety preceded him to internet. ( Love through Bill Gates' discovery apropos kaadhalar dhinam :rotfl: ). Btw, andha threadla neengalum irundheengaLA :?:

V_S
14th April 2012, 08:38 PM
Plum,

DS Ramanujam of MtRdMahaVishnu:lol: Idhula ivvaLavu vishyam irukka. Even when he was at his peak, some how this genius did not get unanimous support even in our state. I think everybody's belly was burning and was trying hard to bring him down. Thanks al_gates for the rare link, which showcases DSR's biasedness. I loved reading that thread. Even they mentioned about karutha machchaan which you talked about.
Thanks a lot Plum for your appreciation, really very happy to see your comments, it means a lot to me :D.

venkkiram,
Your post and your consideration is itself a great honor to me and I feel every one's feedback here is more than enough for me. :notworthy: Thank you so much.
I still feel, I have lot of scope for improvement, so I really don't know if my post deserve to be there in that fabulous solvanam site, but definitely will consider your interest.

Nerd,
I completely understand and I know I am troubling everyone with my lengthy posts. But thanks for reading my post. I too really don't know anything technical, just that some terms I know since I am learning piano with my son and got some interest. Really really touched by your comments. Thank you sir! :D

app_engine
15th April 2012, 10:04 AM
Actually, kaNNukkoru vaNnakiLi indha periodla release AchungaRadhu dhAn AcharyamA irukku - not sure how it escaped my attention. Last year, i happened to hear the album in thiraipaadal - one song by IR - Gaanam thenkARROdu - is a stunner, that seems to be out of place in this album, I suspect it was composed earlier during the EVK period...

I don't think the movie got released ever...possibly the disk got released in 1991 (web resources call it "unreleased" movie).

app_engine
15th April 2012, 10:07 AM
innum ennai enna seyyappOkiRai youtube :
(They used to call Radhika as pombiLai Rajini - by the way Kushbu showers kisses on Kamal, she can be called "pombaLai Kamal :wink:" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaV5FoWPUjw&feature=related

Devaraagam
15th April 2012, 03:45 PM
I don't think the movie got released ever...possibly the disk got released in 1991 (web resources call it "unreleased" movie).

App. you are correct. the movie was not released at all.

LP records were also not released for this movie. No one had any clue of the songs until Oriental Released this songs when they release the VIKRAM CD.

This is the only good done by Oriental records :) they did not release many songs when they release the cds.

Devaraagam
15th April 2012, 06:22 PM
App, today after long time I have listened Dharma film and just noticed closely that all songs are sung by SPB. why don't you any one of the song from that movie ? (hwo can we understand the details of the songs...:))

app_engine
16th April 2012, 03:44 AM
nanRi, Devaraagam!

Dharma seems to be a 1998 movie (if one goes by thiraippAdal)...this compilation is currently at 1992 & hence there're still a few more years to go before I reach that :-)

app_engine
16th April 2012, 03:52 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: Were you in mars? Undoubtedly your biggest miss. And quite a few *big* misses in that post.

Anyway please continue whenever you can. Really miss(ed) the posts.

:-)

Like Plum said, the miss could be attributed 90% to my state but then I didn't miss thaLapathi or gunA or chinnathambi :wink:

So, while the songs were big with TN youths of that time, I'm not sure they crossed the state borders to hit Palakkad strong enough :-)

app_engine
16th April 2012, 03:57 AM
Now, the big day is coming up - year end of this compilation!

I would like the song# 366 (leap year) to be a real biggie.

I don't think 1992 will make it to that number (we're at 346 at the end of singAra vElan and 20 more won't be possible from 1992 in my reckoning).

So, let's start discussing about a 1993 number that can be used for the year-end biggie for that slot...we have at least 20 days to give suggestions & pick the one with max votes :-)

V_S
16th April 2012, 05:02 AM
App,
Sorry to nitpick again. Definitely it is your pirority. I still think we should make #366 in 1992 as it is one of his biggest year scoring around 60 films. All were super hits. I just went through my list and discounted rare and unknown gems and came up with this list in 1992 which are bigger and blockbuster hits throughout TN. My pick is bolded for 1992. :smile:
------
Ennai Thottu - Unnai Nenaichean Paattu Padichaen
SOlai Malai Oram - Villupaattukaaran
Kalaivaaniyo RaaniyO - Villupaattukaaran
Vaigai Nadthi Oram - Rickshaw Maama
Thanga NilavukkuL - Rickshaw Maama
Enathu ThittangaL - Kaaval Geetham
Muthumani Maalai - Chinna Gounder
KoondukuLLa - Chinna Gounder
KottukiLi - Chinnavar
Kaalaiyil KEttathu - Senthamizh Paattu
Chinna Chinna Thooral - Senthamizh Paattu
Adi Gomaatha - Senthamizh Paattu
Innisai Mazhai (almost all songs)
Holi Holi - Raasukutty
Adi Naan Pudicha - Raasukutty
Saami kitta - Aavaaram Poo
Adukku Malli - Aavaaram Poo
Amman Koyil VaasalilE - Thirumathi Pazhanisamy
Paadha kolusu - Thirumathi Pazhanisamy
Mayilaadum - Chinna Pasanga Naanga
Nadandhaal - Chembaruththi
Vaanam Thottu - Devar Magan
ThuLLi thirinthadoru - Endrum Anbudan
Chinnanchiru AnnakiLi - Endrum Anbudan
Vanamellaam Shenbagapoo - NaadOdi Pattukaaran

If you want me to pick the best in 1993 for #366 it would be these in that order. Undoubtedly it would be Ejamaan for me. I prefer SPB solo for #366.

------
Adi Raakkumuthu - Ejamaan
Oh Butterfly - Meera
Nalam Vaazha - Marupadiyum
Oru NaaLUm - Ejamaan
AalappOl - Ejamaan
Sivakaami NenappinilE - KiLipechu KEkkavaa
Sakkara Katti - ULLE VeLiyE

It's again your wish, if it should be Captain or Super Star. :wink:

buggle
16th April 2012, 05:08 AM
If A_E miss Avarampoo(both SPB marvels) from 1992 compilation, i would be very sad since Avarampoo had IR stamp in it...Other than 2 SPB songs, we had celebrated IR voice in "Aalolam paadi", evergreen SJ solo in "Nadhiyoram" and Gandharva KJY in "Mandhiram"

app_engine
16th April 2012, 07:40 AM
AvArampoo - definitely in, I have a lovely memory attached to the numbers...

However, many others are not ringing a bell...may be I should listen to them in course of the next few days and then decide if it will be 1992 or 1993 :-)

My choices : if 1992, rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL...if 1993, oru nALum unai maRavAtha....either way my choices are SPB-SJ ones :-)

Let's see how others feel...

Plum
16th April 2012, 09:49 AM
1992 play offs - ennai thottu vs kottu kaLi. Former is the bigger hit albeit simple in orchestration, latter is so brilliantly "mood-creating", nicely ornamented. Ennai Thottu reaches finals through a superior qolty melody with a rare pattern of singer's melody from Raja - addictive turn of phrases, easy to sing along and infact, tempts to sing along. Thankfully, I can't hear myself sing and while people around me suffer my singing, I only hear SPB's voice in my head :lol:. Still a winner - has endured farther than Chinnavar. 2) Second playoff between paadha kolusu and saami kitta in next post

Plum
16th April 2012, 10:09 AM
Paadha kolusu - huge hit, same fundamentals as Ennai thottu but with less surprises in tune flow. That being the USP which got Ennai Thotta through, paadha kolusu loses out to the under appreciated saamikitta. In the finals, it is again Enna Thottu's simplicity and sing-along versus Saamikitta's brilliant orchestration. In the end, Saamikitta emerges succesful for the brilliant first lude along with a serviceable melody and the longing and yearning in the tune and singing that adds the spice as against the overwhelmingly sweet Ennai thottu. Since I am old enough to have lost my sweet tooth but not old enough to lose attraction for the spice, Saamikitta emerges the winner and my choice for #366(from 1992)

Devaraagam
16th April 2012, 11:48 AM
My choices : if 1992, rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL...if 1993, oru nALum unai maRavAtha....either way my choices are SPB-SJ ones :-)

Let's see how others feel...

App, Since I got inside the thread in between, did not aware of the year concept :). today gone through the earlier postings and still lot more there in 1992. I felt IR over worked during 1991 to 1993. Huge number of albums on these periods and fortunately I was in college so was able to watch most of the movies :)

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 02:50 PM
Both the SPB songs - 'idhayamE' & 'poonkodi thAn' are unknown to me. skip.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

They were simply outstanding song esp "Poongodi thaan Poothathama pon vandu thaan "
the interludes , preludes were simply awesome my senior collegues in school used to sing this due to love failures :lol2:, though i hardly
understood such matters at that age, I used to listen to these songs regularly with them.

"Oh oh patti nalla patti than " by MV from that film was also a catchy one , due to Jollu lyrics :lol2:

groucho070
16th April 2012, 02:55 PM
And IR's voice in April May-ila; how a simple melodious song made into a Prabhu Deva romp. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 02:56 PM
'pooththu pooththu kulunguthadi' & 'pAttu onna' - both songs sound so sweet from the GA directed movie kumbakkarai thangaiyyA

Yes I remember these songs, very sweet indeed! BTW ithu Gramarajan padama :shaking:

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 03:00 PM

This song must have been a hit those days Due to the "Smitha" factor! :lol2: But a horrible movie for Prabhu's standards!

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 03:11 PM
Farams - yes seethakoka chiluka is the telugu version of Alaigal Oyvadhillai. Bharathirajaa remade it himself. Aruna Mucharla, whom he introduced in tamil in Kallukkul Eeram was given another fresh lease (in telugu) by her patron.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Devaraagam
16th April 2012, 03:19 PM
Yes I remember these songs, very sweet indeed! BTW ithu Gramarajan padama :shaking:

Its gangai amaran movie and acted by Prabhu.

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 03:23 PM
App, today after long time I have listened Dharma film and just noticed closely that all songs are sung by SPB. why don't you any one of the song from that movie ? (hwo can we understand the details of the songs...:))

Yes I really liked Dharma songs, but I tried to stay away from the film, for OBvious reasons :) :yessir:

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 03:30 PM
App anna

Have you missed "sembaruthi" , AFAIK it was released in 91 right ?

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 03:32 PM
Its gangai amaran movie and acted by Prabhu.

:oops: thanks

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 03:41 PM
And IR's voice in April May-ila; how a simple melodious song made into a Prabhu Deva romp. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Oh was he in that song? Wasn'ts his debut movie called "indhu" ? :roll:

V_S
16th April 2012, 07:54 PM
Plum,
Very nice to read your reasoning on your selections. After posting that list, yesterday night I was listening to 7 songs from that 1992 list in repeat mode. Definitely 2 songs from Chinna Gounder, those two gorgeous from Aavaram poo, Unnai Thottu from Unna nenechaen paattu padichchaen and another one which is very close to me; SOlai malai Oram from Villupaattukkaaran and the hard-hitting Vaanam Thottu from DEvar Magan. Could not come out of the last two till now. In that way it is difficult to pick the winner for #366 in 1992. As we already covered Singaara vElan, if that was not covered earlier, that would be my obvious choice with PudhuchEri KatchEri. If we want to go by the movie hit status as well, then Chinna gounder takes the honors. If considering only the song, tune, singing, orchestration, without the movie hit status, then Aavaram poo (Saami Kitta) is my obvious choice. Always I have some soft corner for Ramarajan songs, in that case, it will be SOlai Malai Oram. See, I told you it is difficult to select a single number for #366. :smile:

If 1993, it is Ejamaan all the way, any song for that matter. I highlighted Adi Raakkumuthu for its grandeur and the most listened song that time.

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 08:08 PM
Wasn't Vikram's meera Released in 1992 ??

Plum
16th April 2012, 08:20 PM
V_S - app said he has a story associated with aavarampoo so it has addlk qualification in this thread :)

Sureshs65
16th April 2012, 09:25 PM

yov. This and all is too much. I can understand you not hearing 'mannavane' but 'Kumbakkara Thangaiyya' songs you haven't heard? Atleast 'poothu poothu' not heard is unpardonable!!! Even I have heard it!!!

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 09:30 PM
ennapa oru manushan oru paata keatkala na ivalavu thappa ?

app_engine
16th April 2012, 09:51 PM
Sureshji :-)

Finally you got the opportunity to pick on me (it used to be the other way around) :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
16th April 2012, 10:00 PM

Finally you got the opportunity to pick on me (it used to be the other way around) :-)

Oh Ithu veriaya ? I thought he was serious.

Sureshs65
16th April 2012, 10:39 PM
1992 play offs - ennai thottu vs kottu kaLi. Former is the bigger hit albeit simple in orchestration, latter is so brilliantly "mood-creating", nicely ornamented. Ennai Thottu reaches finals through a superior qolty melody with a rare pattern of singer's melody from Raja - addictive turn of phrases, easy to sing along and infact, tempts to sing along. Thankfully, I can't hear myself sing and while people around me suffer my singing, I only hear SPB's voice in my head :lol:. Still a winner - has endured farther than Chinnavar. 2) Second playoff between paadha kolusu and saami kitta in next post

Both 'ennai thottu' and 'kottu kili' have been introduced to me recently (as in the last two years) and I will go with you on 'ennai thottu' over 'kottu kili' for the song per se. I know people may burn me for saying this but 'ennai thottu' is one song I wish SPB had not entered in the second charanam. Swaranalatha is _that_ good in this song!!! So as a SPB song, I would either vote for 'kottu kili' or 'mayiladum thopil'. Ofcourse I have left out the 'bolded' songs :) 'Adukku Malli' is a definite winner for me of that year.

Sureshs65
16th April 2012, 10:45 PM

I know but honestly I am shocked you have not 'poothu poothu kulungudhadi poovu'. Seriously that song cannot be missed in this collected. What a beauty it is. Maybe someone who has good memories associated with that song can write here.

app_engine
16th April 2012, 10:45 PM
Since the discussion is still on about whether the #366 should be from 1992 or 1993, I guess I listen to the 1992 balance numbers, count how many can be hosted (based on my brain recall and not just the actual hit status) and decide which year will the #366 will be from, prior to posting my next song :wink:

app_engine
16th April 2012, 10:47 PM
I know but honestly I am shocked you have not 'poothu poothu kulungudhadi poovu'. Seriously that song cannot be missed in this collected. What a beauty it is. Maybe someone who has good memories associated with that song can write here.

As the 90's progress, there'll be a lot more. That's why A_S is tracking the "app-missed-listtu" and hopefully younger generation can slAkiththufy such numbers once my musings end :-)

Sureshs65
16th April 2012, 11:03 PM
Two songs which I came to know about coz of @equanimus were 'ennai thottu' and 'thanga nilavukku' from Rickshaw Mama. If someone can get equa to pen his thoughts on these two songs it will be great. He is a great fan of these songs. Similarly must get our P_R to write about 'Kumbakkara Thangayya' songs.

Plum
16th April 2012, 11:12 PM
Au contraire, Suresh, I am thankful for SpB's timely entry in ennai thottu. Swarnalatha, while possessing the best tone for the song, gets a little suffocating before SPB relieves us with his relieving, fluffy vocals. The light-heavy mix of SPB-Swarna is what makes the song addictive and timeless. Incidentally, the heroine dies of suffocation in the movie.

Plum
16th April 2012, 11:14 PM
EquarA? Avaru kaNNAlam kAchchinu settle AyittAru. Indha pakkam Feeyar adhukkAna Ayatham pOla - abscond AyittAru. Namma dhaan ezhudhikkONum...

V_S
16th April 2012, 11:26 PM
Two songs which I came to know about coz of @equanimus were 'ennai thottu' and 'thanga nilavukku' from Rickshaw Mama. If someone can get equa to pen his thoughts on these two songs it will be great. He is a great fan of these songs. Similarly must get our P_R to write about 'Kumbakkara Thangayya' songs.
:thumbsup: That's the beauty of '92. We cannot stop with one. More because of the folk-based stories folk flavors in every song which is very very special compared to other genres. I am now caught up in a web called 'Adi Naan Pudicha kiLiyE' from Raasukutty. A blinder!. :smile:

app_engine
17th April 2012, 12:18 AM
Update - I did a quick stock taking of 1992 balance numbers as to what songs immediately ring a bell (as most of them were heard only on buses / PA systems etc and very few owned personally) and that year will easily cross #366 :-)

So, don't worry about nominating any song from 1993 for this exercise :-)

My original nomination was rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL (of mannan). There seems to be not many takers for that...I don't want to waste my vote and switch to muththu maNi mAlai :-)

With V_Sji, this song now has two votes :wink:

For today, I'll start from a movie that can't possibly be in this selection process (the aruvA DM) :wink:

BTW, me too love the rickshAw mAmA songs - though I've not known previously that those were from that movie :-)

Devaraagam
17th April 2012, 12:21 AM
App,

for me also surprise like suresh, because I know suresh is weak on 1992/1993 series.

fine, there is a movie called Magudam. if you have not posted you can give attention to this film songs for SPB.

app_engine
17th April 2012, 12:28 AM
With 1992 looking so strong :shock:, I think my listing itself will probably touch 400...

As posted before, I won't be posting many songs from the "post-tfmpage" era when it's very difficult to identify whether the song was really a hit or not. (I would have heard based on DF-ers / hubbers talking highly about it ; but the song wouldn't have been known to most TN-ers outside our forum :lol: e.g. kAkkaichchiRakinilE's OranjAram song)

app_engine
17th April 2012, 12:32 AM
App,

for me also surprise like suresh, because I know suresh is weak on 1992/1993 series.

fine, there is a movie called Magudam. if you have not posted you can give attention to this film songs for SPB.

Devaraagam sir,

I listened to those songs (magudam) today for the first time :-(

So, can't post about them...

V_S
17th April 2012, 02:13 AM
With 1992 looking so strong :shock:, I think my listing itself will probably touch 400...
I am telling you..:smile: '93 is not far behind, so many movies and big hits. Even '94 is not bad with around 30 films with big hitters like Mahanadhi, Veera, Raajakumaran, Veetla Visheshanga, MagaLir Mattum, Adhiradhi Padai, Amaithi Padai, Adharmam, Vanaja Girija, Priyanka and many more. Only from '95 onwards we don't see much of SPB, except the ever-green Paattu Paadavaa, '96 - Rettai Roja and Siraichaalai and '97 - Raman Abdullah. He was singing still for IR, but the frequency drastically came down like anything and songs were also not hits. :sad:

al_gates
17th April 2012, 02:57 AM
Al - that's some link... Btw, andha threadla neengalum irundheengaLA :?:

Plum, no. I've never heard of this DSR dude anytime. Other than Malathi Rangarajan I dont know of any other film reviewer from Hindu. I got the link googling for DSR.

Nerd
17th April 2012, 04:15 AM
KottukkaLi, what a delicious song. Sounds so simple, but has so much packed in each line. Unfortunately this is another one of those forgotten gems :-(

App, avasarappattutteengaLE.. I d have +1ed Rajathi Raja Un ThanthirangaL. MMM is superb too, no worries.

And btw, will you feature, kOttaiyai vittu in the series? I think the movie version has the Uma R + kids version. But the SPB version (albeit a bit song) is a HUGE favorite of mine.

groucho070
17th April 2012, 07:36 AM
Oh was he in that song? Wasn'ts his debut movie called "indhu" ? :roll:He was there just for song, as he was doing in many films, just song scene before he got himself lead role in Indhu (or was it Kadhalan first?)

Plum
17th April 2012, 08:12 AM
Indhu first. Before that, idhayam, suriyan etc. Before even that, there was Agni * .

groucho070
17th April 2012, 08:25 AM
Lead Role. Before that he was the male item number :razz:

Plum
17th April 2012, 09:30 AM
Ippo mattum enna - kadaisila he sinks to his level of competency with vaangum panathukku in Dhoni :)

groucho070
17th April 2012, 10:01 AM
I see. Anyway, while still on the subject, this is for Raghu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwRNKNk8TI

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 02:45 PM
Au contraire, Suresh, I am thankful for SpB's timely entry in ennai thottu. Swarnalatha, while possessing the best tone for the song, gets a little suffocating before SPB relieves us with his relieving, fluffy vocals. The light-heavy mix of SPB-Swarna is what makes the song addictive and timeless. Incidentally, the heroine dies of suffocation in the movie.

Agree, though Swarnalatha is one excellent singer, but IMHO I think she struggles at High octaves, in fact I feel SJ is the only one who does justice at high Octaves amongst the female singers, while SPB is emperor amongst the male singer.

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 02:50 PM
He was there just for song, as he was doing in many films, just song scene before he got himself lead role in Indhu (or was it Kadhalan first?)

I C, But I am pretty sure Indhu was his first film , and Kadhalan came after that! Though Indhu was by Xerox mannan Deva, it had some catchy songs!

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 02:51 PM
Agni * . For the song Raja Rajathi rajan intha raja song ??

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_OVHgR0e-8&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 06:00 PM
Any heera fans here ? :lol2:

app_engine
17th April 2012, 06:51 PM
And btw, will you feature, kOttaiyai vittu in the series? I think the movie version has the Uma R + kids version. But the SPB version (albeit a bit song) is a HUGE favorite of mine.

Yes, ofcourse - manadhai ennavO paNNum oru vidhamAna pAttu adhu!

app_engine
17th April 2012, 07:36 PM
#347 சாந்துப்பொட்டு ஒரு சந்தனப்பொட்டு
(தேவர் மகன், 1992 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0600'&lang=en)

'sAnthuppottu oru santhanappottu' from dEvar makan

Fast, beatsy song with a variety of country drums deployed - typical of IR's folk scores. SPB handles this with ease, though there's a personal disconnect to me with this number (as in the case of most numbers from this album with the only exception of 'inji iduppazhagi'). Regardless of my appreciation or lack of it for the DM numbers, I'm sure they were big hits all around TN - as was the movie. Per hub discussions, the movie also enjoys a lot of critical acclaim (again much contrary to my personal view but obviously mine is important only to me :lol2:).

Keeping aside my dislike for any 'kAladi maN' businesses and general distaste for blood on-screen, let me write a little on what thoughts get triggered whenever I read about 'dEvar' as related to movies or news reports - as they're a politically powerful community during the last few decades in TN, possibly starting with the success of K MayaththEvar as the first winner of an election ever (interestingly, an "idaiththErthal") for MGR's ADMK, during my school days, from the town near our village.

He did repeat that victory in the post-emergency MP elections from the constituency, when Indira G got defeated in Rae Bareli by Raj Narayanan (who promoted drinking of one's own urine, became a minister in Morarji Desai's cabinet). KMT, the local MP candidate visited our village and I remember shaking my hands with him:-) As my only "political stunt" ever, I did organize a small progression in the village for him - mostly comprising of boys & useless fellows around (unknown to my strict father - what a bayangara act if I look back now) and much to the irritation of my closest childhood friend / classmate of years whose dad was the local communist leader (ofcourse we continued nakam-sathai after this too).

It was just around that time two of my classmates, aNNan-thambi both studying in my class and who were close relatives of the MP (staying in school hostel), became close friends to me as well. The aNNan - who had the typical bengali name associated with the community ("Bose") was an emotional guy (often aNNan-thambi saNdai pOttuttu pEsikka mAttAnga and we used to unite them :lol:)! He used to narrate to me a lot of tales of their relatives. Ofcourse there were some exaggerations but overall it was a chronicle of vettu-kutthu-adi-thadi mostly but presented as veeram-theeram-sAhasam. We were kabadi teammates initially and later his thambi became my badminton team mate for a few years when we had considerable inter-school-tournament successes.

So, whenever I read / hear the 'dEvar' term, these three people come up immediately to mind and though some of my activities / feelings those days look foolish to me now, they form an interesting part of 'not-so-horrible' memories :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 07:39 PM
yeah I did not like santhu pottu that much as well .

btw, wasn't meera released prior to DM ??

V_S
17th April 2012, 08:02 PM
App,
Very nice and interesting write-up with your nostalgic touch. :thumbsup:Thanks for posting this song.

I can't resist posting this song which I always love and admire.

I remember arguing about this song with my friends days together, after they trashed it. The songs beauty is the narration. The whole situation is very interesting. Maestro takes unstructured approach which is unique only to Kamal films. Take for Kanmani AnbOdu which starts as a dialogue and seamlessly gets to a song. When we were listening to Kanmani song, my friends were distracted, while I was trying hard to convince them. Same way Mahanadhi bengali song, it will start as some bengali prose and adds tune to that gradually. Many such cases. This one is again such strong case in that approach. Takes a unconventional start and when it gets to charanam, we start to hear the melody. Very juicy melody there.
If you dig the lyrics, it may sound silly, but that's again the beauty of the narration. You can't say it is a complete song, yet you can't say it is only dialogues, very innovative composition by Maestro, but it has the brain of both Maestro and Kamal.

suththa thamizh veeran raththaththula oorum
singa thamizhan thanga thamizhan
eththanayO naadu suththi vandha aalu
budhdhi irukku sakthi irukku

I love those four lines. Then the chorus joins beautifully

Chorus- ooraarum annanaa thambiyaa paarkkum
anbaana ullamdhaan ullavaru
yaaraachchum muttina mOdhinaa pochchu
anjaama kuttuvaar thattuvaaru

Then takes the colloquial version:

oru vaaikkozhuppeduththaa
aduththavan varattizhup pizhuththaa
avan thOl urippavandaa
thamizhachchi paal kudichchavandaa
ada vishayangal pala arinjavan naan
vevarangal pala purinjavan naan
sandaikku vandhaa savaal vitta
thadiyaththaan pudichchiththaan
kai viralila suththura suththula
annaachchi unna naan punnaakku thinnavappaen

Amazing, amazing! :notworthy: Kamal and IR only fossible! Visuals with that almost brown-orange tinge sands with gorgeous landscape behind, it is a treat to both eyes and ears. One of my favorite Kamal song.

Bala (Karthik)
17th April 2012, 08:05 PM
V_S
Another important example in your list - "Unnai Naan Ariven" from Guna

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 08:11 PM
Yes, ofcourse - manadhai ennavO paNNum oru vidhamAna pAttu adhu!

Every time I hear this song, I feel like getting up dancing as if you are possesed by a spririt!

V_S
17th April 2012, 08:29 PM
V_S
Another important example in your list - "Unnai Naan Ariven" from Guna
Thanks a lot Bala for reminding this. :smile: How did I forget this. Brilliant ideas by Kamal and brilliant execution by Maestro. :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 08:30 PM
Is this the SPB version, sound disabled in the office :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bPWtcX9j6o&feature=player_detailpage

app_engine
17th April 2012, 08:40 PM
#348 வானம் தொட்டுப்போன
(தேவர் மகன், 1992 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0601'&lang=en)

Another SPB song from the same movie that I've heard only a few times - mostly during bus travels. Unlike the previous song that I've heard a few times on radio, I don't remember hearing this number ever otherwise. Sounds nice, with SPB throwing in appropriate emotions (there are actually two version on thiraippAdal - both having the same melody but different orchestration / tempo etc and possibly for two different situations in the movie).

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 08:43 PM
#348 வானம் தொட்டுப்போன
(தேவர் மகன், 1992 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0601'&lang=en)

Isn't it the song with contains the word "pOtri padadi penE Devar kaladai amnE " If so this is indeed a very nice song. SPB in full Navarasams !

Bala (Karthik)
17th April 2012, 08:54 PM
App Sir
Indha album porutha varaikkum unga crime rate koodikitte irukku :twisted:

jaiganes
17th April 2012, 09:00 PM
Update - I did a quick stock taking of 1992 balance numbers as to what songs immediately ring a bell (as most of them were heard only on buses / PA systems etc and very few owned personally) and that year will easily cross #366 :-)

So, don't worry about nominating any song from 1993 for this exercise :-)

My original nomination was rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL (of mannan). There seems to be not many takers for that...I don't want to waste my vote and switch to muththu maNi mAlai :-)

With V_Sji, this song now has two votes :wink:

For today, I'll start from a movie that can't possibly be in this selection process (the aruvA DM) :wink:

BTW, me too love the rickshAw mAmA songs - though I've not known previously that those were from that movie :-)
ennadhu no takers for "Rajadhi raja un mandhirangaL" and "Gumthalakkadi gumthalakkadi" yaa?
A_E - u disappoint me sir... Idhullaam kaalathaala azikka mudiyaadha paatukkaL.. Rasini RasigargaLoda ottu moththa kobamum unga mela paaya povudhu.. (me included)..

PARAMASHIVAN
17th April 2012, 09:13 PM
ennadhu no takers for "Rajadhi raja un mandhirangaL" and "Gumthalakkadi gumthalakkadi" yaa?
A_E - u disappoint me sir... Idhullaam kaalathaala azikka mudiyaadha paatukkaL.. Rasini RasigargaLoda ottu moththa kobamum unga mela paaya povudhu.. (me included)..

Ah I just noticed this now, yes Rajathi Raja un mandirangal and Gumthalakadi were good, but I liked the other one with Rajni and VS , I think it is called Manar MannanerE enaku kapankattu nee ! I guess these songs went unnoticed due to the fact KJY's "amma endru " over shadowed the rest ?

app_engine
17th April 2012, 09:14 PM
A_E - u disappoint me

adheppadi :confused: Me the first person to nominate 'rAjAthi rAja un thanthirangaL'...

Since it gets some Adharavu now (from Nerd, jaiganes), I'll keep it in the run and not cast my vote yet for either of the numbers...we have a few more days to go, after all :-)

B(K), avvaLavu thAn - mudinjathu, ini mEl nAn 'chup rahO' on DM :-)

jaiganes
17th April 2012, 09:44 PM
adheppadi :confused: Me the first person to nominate 'rAjAthi rAja un thanthirangaL'...

Since it gets some Adharavu now (from Nerd, jaiganes), I'll keep it in the run and not cast my vote yet for either of the numbers...we have a few more days to go, after all :-)

B(K), avvaLavu thAn - mudinjathu, ini mEl nAn 'chup rahO' on DM :-)
A_E saar. we all know - kalaapoorvamaana vishayangaLil - jananaayagam sellaadhunnen.

V_S
17th April 2012, 09:50 PM
No offence meant, I somehow I trace Mannan to 1991 and not 1992. May be because the film songs released in 1991 and film released in 1992? How can I leave Rajaathi Raja un thanthirangaL, it was the most loved song and album not just me, my whole family during that time.

BTW, Vaanam Thottu POna is one killer of a song, once I start listening, it is too difficult to come out of it.

Sureshs65
17th April 2012, 10:07 PM
(Time to keep my mouth shut and not state here that I haven't heard 'Raajathi Raja Un Thandhirangal' more than once or twice!!! illena pichichiduvaanga pichi)

Plum
17th April 2012, 10:09 PM
Thevar Magan - my first as a firm kamal camper.( Mmkr was in the trigger phase.) Shaded only by Hey Ram among Kamal movies, and Udhiri Pookkal in TF history. Earlier in the year, Annamalai was the final thalai-muzhukku from opp. camp, and having entered college, away from the influence of sandiyar son, head of the school rajini camp, beginning of the long walk away from RK camp. With the zeal of a new convert and the inside knowledge of the emotional weak points of edhiri camp, collegela edhiri camp-ai dhwamsam dhaan. And as if to facilitate, Rajini released Pandiyan...luckily, ours was a non-violent college so vaai dhaan mooladhanam - brawn had no role play. Illaina hub-la vijay fans-ai bait panna uyiroda irundhirukka maatten - avlo veRi thAkkudhal of edhiri mugaam.

app_engine
18th April 2012, 12:04 AM
#349 நடந்தால் இரண்டடி
(செம்பருத்தி, 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3272'&lang=en)

'nadanthAl iraNdadi' from semparuththi

Very sweet SPB number with the necessary ingradients one expects from IR - lovely melody & sugamAna pinnaNi isai (note - tablA). I'm oblivious to the thaththuvams in most IR songs and so the lyrics are not paid any attention. As long as they are neither irritable nor jarring to the ears, I'm ok with them :lol2:

The first time I heard this song was during a visit to Chennai around the time this movie got released. They showed another song on oliyum-oLiyum which had sea waves on screen and I enquired my cousin (who had been written about a lot in this thread during earlier posts) about the movie / songs. He had and played the cassette. This song stayed in my mind and none other at that point of time. I loved this number instantly!

Sometime later, one of our senior engineers at workplace was talking a lot about another song from this movie that he loved. He was insistent that I pay attention to it. So much so that he recorded the prelude of that song on EPROM chips as the "music on hold" for the PABX in our workplace. (And, he was not a very proclaimed IRF while I was). Feeling embarassed, I decided to give the song a listen the same day and he gave me the cassette. I loved the prelude then but didn't care for the rest of the song. It was years later that I somewhat liked that SJ-Mano number (nilAkkAyum nEram saraNam) and played many times during drives.

I've never had a chance to watch this debut movie of Roja (wife of the director of this movie - R K Selvamani, a proclaimed HCIRF) who is a small-time politician in AP now. Possibly the debut for Prashanth (s/o Thiyagarajan) as well.

Plum
18th April 2012, 12:17 AM
No no - Prashant debuted with vaigaasi porandhaachu under Deva's baton. It was Roja's debut alright. RK Selva acquired Roja with this movie but lost his hit-producing capacity forever. Everything fine with the album - barring the assault of Nagoor Babu on our ears, ably assisted by veteran assaulter Bhanumathy. Despite this double barrel attack, Chitra and Raja save sembaruththi poovu, a measure of their talent. What a cruel joke - 4 of the best songs to faramu's friend and 1 vengala kiNNam to Balu. What was IR thinking?

Bala (Karthik)
18th April 2012, 12:50 AM
Chalakku chalakku sEla - the best song in the album. Mano is not bad in it, is he? In fact, he is good :isitjustme:

app_engine
18th April 2012, 01:43 AM
nanRi Plum, for the Prasanth debut info :-)

Got some more vetti time today and let me post another 1992 hit (that may not have too many supporters to be voted for #366)...

Bala (Karthik)
18th April 2012, 01:46 AM
Blasphemy alert: Rajadhi raaja un thandhirangal - the 2nd charanam spoils it (percussion)

app_engine
18th April 2012, 02:15 AM
#350 கொட்டுக்களி கொட்டு நாயனம் கேக்குது
(சின்னவர், 1992, சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0453'&lang=en)

'kottukkALi kottu' from chinnavar, with KSC

Very enjoyable and melodious song from the Prabhu movie. Both SPB & KSC in excellent form making the song so sweet. IR lets the orchestration part simple and mostly on a support mode and it goes well with such numbers. Best to listen in the bed in night IMO.

This movie has a significant song - andhiyilE vAnam (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0450'&lang=en)- sung by Mano & Swarnalatha with that great special first interlude! My memory fails now - it was either 91 deepAvaLi or 92 pongal that DD had a special program on rAsA. It featured many artists talking highly about IR. Mano was one of them and he sang a few lines of 'thooLiyilE Ada vandha vAnathtu min viLakkE' of CT and exclaimed 'engE pOnAlum indhappAttu dhAn sAr' and expressed his nanRikkadan to rAsA. There was BR who showed a mudhal mariyAdhai scene with and without BGM etc.

In that program, they showed the recording of that particular andhiyilE vAnam first interlude when giving the viewers a glimpse of what goes on in the theater of rAsA. They didn't play the song's lines however, and one had to wait to find out:-) That piece alone got played multiple times and got firmly etched in my mind! I refused to have a TV during all my stay in Palakkad but this program was caught by a friend on VHS and he played to me on the same night, when we were invited to dine with them. It was a fantastic moment for me - in those days of no cable TV / no sat network etc, to have an almost hour long program on IR from Chennai tholaikkAtchi! (Available via KodaikkAnal antenna in Palakkad).

Those were wonderful times - whenever I visited the colony where my old bachelor home was, we had to visit more then a few homes before we could leave, as most were co-workers who insisted on giving some refreshment or other. It was around that time the 'Olaththumbaththu' was a rage in Kerala (pappayude swantham appoos - a Fazil / Mammootty / Shobana movie) and one could overhear that song being played in one home or other all the time. There was even a cover story on IR in manOramA that started with that pAdal varikaL. rAsA really riding high in 1991-92 - just prior to the time some vested interests succeeded in sidelining him.

Back to chinnavar - I love the kumbal fun song 'kadalOrakkavidhaiyE' also. I don't know anything else about the movie though (what story, hit or not etc)!

app_engine
18th April 2012, 02:15 AM
Well, chinnavar song was the #350 - a small milestone :-)

app_engine
18th April 2012, 02:53 AM
For #366, the current nominations are :

rAjAthi rAjA un thanthirangaL (2.5) - Nerd, jai, app
muththu maNi mAla (1.5) -V_S, engine
sAmi kitta (1) -Plum

Let's see what other songs come up and who votes for them...

jaiganes
18th April 2012, 04:33 AM
Blasphemy alert: Rajadhi raaja un thandhirangal - the 2nd charanam spoils it (percussion)
andha local shift pudikkaadha? hmmm
I found that very amusing.. Ennaa dhaan mercedes C class car aaga irundhaalum aminjikkarai market ullaara poondhu vandhaaganumpa. Adhukkaaga raasaa anganga oru localization code onnu vechu iruppaar - andha vagayaraavil - I found this one pretty neat.

jaiganes
18th April 2012, 04:34 AM

sAmi kitta (1) -Plum

idhellaam mutually exclusivennu yaar sonnadhu? enakku ellla biskothum venum..

V_S
18th April 2012, 04:46 AM
Chalakku chalakku sEla - the best song in the album. Mano is not bad in it, is he? In fact, he is good :isitjustme:
Definitely he is not bad as projected. He is a good singer. In fact, I like his singing in Chembaruthi compared to SJ, especially when singing higher octaves in some of the songs.
Same goes to Chinnavar songs; AndhiyilE Vaanam, Maarappu sElai and Gundooru gOnkura were big favorites that time. Especially the last one, he sang beautifully. But you can't take away the beauty from KottukkaLi mainly for the free-flowing tune right from the word 'Go', while others have that staggered start, even though they are beautiful in their own way. SPB is SPB, not match for him. Surprisingly, the other songs were more famous that time compared to this one. The fun and excitement of getting these cassettes and watching these films are gone. Mainly loved to watch these village subjects (almost all ramarajan films, prabhu films like chinnavar, chinna maaple, senthamizh paattu, some rajini/kamal/vijayakanth films, other films like idhu namma bhoomi, chinna thaayee, deiva vaakku, aranmanai kiLi...let me stop here, the list is huge) with those breezy 'themmaangu' songs. Lot of films like these came those days, which were watchable with family. We were totally engrossed in them. I still could not understand how people forgot him, having given everything he got. We will never get such melodies today.

App, you got a very good memory :thumbsup:. Yes, after reading your post I too remember that DD program showing the recording of AndhiyilE Vaanam and we were discussing about that hours together. What a wonderful moment that was! Very nice to read your memories that time.

venkkiram
18th April 2012, 05:54 AM
------
Nalam Vaazha - Marupadiyum

This movie has one more gem "ellorukkum sollum paattu" by SPB.

venkkiram
18th April 2012, 06:01 AM
Everything fine with the album - barring the assault of Nagoor Babu on our ears Wasn't Nagore Hanifa? Anyway -1 for this perception. I am with IR in this singer selection!

groucho070
18th April 2012, 06:05 AM
What was IR thinking?Indeed :twisted:
Chalakku chalakku sEla - the best song in the album. Mano is not bad in it, is he? In fact, he is good :isitjustme: I yam.

groucho070
18th April 2012, 06:07 AM

sAmi kitta (1) -Plum

Let's see what other songs come up and who votes for them...How can this song compete with the other two!!! Kodumai, kodumai!!! Sami Kitta is way up there man, easily the best SPB/IR of 90s.

venkkiram
18th April 2012, 06:10 AM
sAmi kitta (1) -Plum

Am voting for Chinnak kavuNdar due to Raja's simple-sweet folk compositions with RVU's opt words in lyrics department (ஆசை பேச்சுல பாதி மூச்சிலே லேசா தேகம் சூடேற). SPB & PS - கரும்பு தின்னக் கூலியா!

groucho070
18th April 2012, 06:10 AM
Definitely he is not bad as projected. He is a good singer. In fact, I like his singing in Chembaruthi compared to SJ, especially when singing higher octaves in some of the songs.
Same goes to Chinnavar songs; AndhiyilE Vaanam, Maarappu sElai and Gundooru gOnkura were big favorites that time. Especially the last one, he sang beautifully. But you can't take away the beauty from KottukkaLi mainly for the free-flowing tune right from the word 'Go', while others have that staggered start, even though they are beautiful in their own way. SPB is SPB, not match for him. Surprisingly, the other songs were more famous that time compared to this one. The fun and excitement of getting these cassettes and watching these films are gone. Mainly loved to watch these village subjects (almost all ramarajan films, prabhu films like chinnavar, chinna maaple, senthamizh paattu, some rajini/kamal/vijayakanth films, other films like idhu namma bhoomi, chinna thaayee, deiva vaakku, aranmanai kiLi...let me stop here, the list is huge) with those breezy 'themmaangu' songs. Lot of films like these came those days, which were watchable with family. We were totally engrossed in them. I still could not understand how people forgot him, having given everything he got. We will never get such melodies today.:-D Each time I feel lost without support, I will come to running to you V_S. Fantastic post this is.

V_S
18th April 2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks grouch and great to know that you too liked these films and share similar interests. :smile: Those were the times I was so crazy about every film, thanks to my friends and neighbors.

venkki,
I voted that Marupadiyum song (Nalam Vaazha) for #366 which App was going to host from 1993 films, but now it is dropped as he is going to host #366 from 1992 films itself. Yes, ellOrum sollum paattu is a great gem and love watch that song visually even compared to Nalam Vaazha. '93 is another big list.

Nerd
18th April 2012, 07:44 AM
How can this song compete with the other two!!! Kodumai, kodumai!!! Sami Kitta is way up there man, easily the best SPB/IR of 90s.
I am OK with this song winning too. But SJ pwns SPB in this. SJ's muthumaNiyE is inexplicably serene. Hate HATE the video (save for aNNan) and that has taken some shine off this song, for me.

I am OK with all three, or even sOlai malai Oram. Lots of little delights in 92. And we are only talking about SPB hits.

groucho070
18th April 2012, 07:58 AM
Nay, he rules from the start, just his vocal and then repeat of first line with tabla = heaven.repeats again and again, like keep reassuring her that everything's alright, and convinced, she starts Muthumaniye....lovely, lovely.

By the by, I forgot the movie completely except for that lion's mane masquerading as Nassar's moustache. Is aNNan also the bad guy here?

Bala (Karthik)
18th April 2012, 08:01 AM
Out of these, Muthu Mani Maala has an edge for me (in spite of Suseela's terror!). Vera enna choice nu nyabagam varamaattengudhu :oops:

Plum
18th April 2012, 09:41 AM
Vennki, nagoor babu = Mano. I have no problem with Hanifa's natta nadu kadal. IR's kadalula ezhumbaRa was my favourite - sort of homage to MSV's tharai mEl piRakka vaiththaan. I am not going to credit Mano for the appeal of the other songs - Raja takes the credit with Chitra sharing it for chembaruthi poovu, which needed chitra's support for Raja, as it had additional programming by Bhanumathy.

Plum
18th April 2012, 09:42 AM
App - count half a vote from v_s for saami kitta.

San_K
18th April 2012, 11:34 AM
Kottukkali songukku ivvalavu aatharavu. The song not even a hit and I think it is a Saathaa song. let me chect it. Sembaruthiyula one of my fav is mansoor alikhan song

groucho070
18th April 2012, 11:49 AM
App - count half a vote from v_s for saami kitta.This is abusing his generosity, but I approve :smile:

Plum
18th April 2012, 11:52 AM
If the marketing men in TFM of 92-93 had been in charge of Cricket marketing in 2006-07, I guess Sachin's career would have been finished during that time. EnnamA namba vechurukAinga IR quality koRainju pOchunnu when the reality is this - oru kattaththula nAnE andha marketingai nambittEn :ashamed:

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 02:51 PM
barring the assault of Nagoor Babu on our ears, ably assisted by veteran assaulter Bhanumathy. Despite this double barrel attack, Chitra and Raja save sembaruththi poovu, a measure of their talent. What a cruel joke - 4 of the best songs to faramu's friend and 1 vengala kiNNam to Balu. What was IR thinking?

Flau,

Pls dont remind me of this "Nightmare on Elm street" ! Honestly I really don't know what got into IR's head! All the best songs went to Sothapal Thilagam , while the medicore song went to the Genius ! :evil:

SJ saves "nila kayum neram", while Thilgam goes off shruthi in the saranam, and screams his head out in the high octaves ( anbE neeyE azhagin amuthE)! NijamavE mudiyala. :(

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 02:54 PM

yOv KadupEtha vendam :x , Thilagam is OK with ARR songs, but an utter murderer with IR, cos in ARR songs Technology and Music over shadows Vocals, so Thilgam gets away with it :lol:

Plum
18th April 2012, 03:56 PM
Bala - epdi solRadhunnu theriyala. Salakku salakku is BAU for Manogar. Salhjakku salhjakku selahh, kalhakku kalhakkum Alaih, ottikitthalhe. Making heavyweather apdingaRadhukku illustrationA vekkalAm. Janaki had almost reached lata pAtti Asha pAtti levels of screechiness by then but Babu is in a different planet of incompetence. I can understand when app says project management reasons for using Mano instead of SPB - but when you could afford SP for 1 song in this album, why choose the least among 5 possible songs? Why? Why? Why? NeRRikaNN thiRappinum....IR-AvE irundhAlum mannikka mudiyAdha kuRRam. I fully empathise with Faramu on this matter.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 04:15 PM
Janaki had almost reached lata pAtti Asha pAtti levels of screechiness by then but Babu is in a different planet of incompetence.

Itha thaan naa ivalavu naala sollikitu vaarEn , but no one seems to understand!

I can understand when app says project management reasons for using Mano instead of SPB - but when you could afford SP for 1 song in this album, why choose the least among 5 possible songs? Why? Why? Why? NeRRikaNN thiRappinum....IR-AvE irundhAlum mannikka mudiyAdha kuRRam

:exactly:

I fully empathise with Faramu on this matter.

:thumbsup:

app_engine
18th April 2012, 04:54 PM
idhellaam mutually exclusivennu yaar sonnadhu? enakku ellla biskothum venum..

But only one can be the #366 - others will also be posted about, obviously :-)

app_engine
18th April 2012, 04:58 PM
This is abusing his generosity, but I approve :smile:

:lol:

He has actually listed more than two, IIRC :-) Anyways, I'll allocate 0.5 to MMM & 0.5 to SKS.

Current count :
rAjAthi - 2.5 (Nerd / jg / app)
muthumaNi -3 (B(K), venkki, engine, V_S)
sAmi kitta -2.5 (Plum, grouch, ji)

Nerd
18th April 2012, 05:35 PM
Grouch, aNNan is the villian in aavaaram poo. Plis. to watch the youtube of the song for aNNan's reactions to the couple's romaans (check the top comment on this video too) :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1k3Dvc4uzo

He has actually listed more than two, IIRC :-) Anyways, I'll allocate 0.5 to MMM & 0.5 to SKS.

Current count :
Biggest hit among the 3 is certainly MuthumaNi maalai. Honest-aiyum kooppidunga, landslide majority kidaikkum :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 05:44 PM
aNNan's reactions to the couple's romaans

:rotfl: :thumbsup:

app_engine
18th April 2012, 06:53 PM
Honest-aiyum kooppidunga, landslide majority kidaikkum :-)

avar inga regular illAinnAlum, sinna kounder varumpOthu kooppida solli irukkAr :-) avarOda AsthAna thread'la onnu postREn...

V_S
18th April 2012, 07:40 PM
If the marketing men in TFM of 92-93 had been in charge of Cricket marketing in 2006-07, I guess Sachin's career would have been finished during that time. EnnamA namba vechurukAinga IR quality koRainju pOchunnu when the reality is this - oru kattaththula nAnE andha marketingai nambittEn :ashamed:
:exactly:IR's quality can never go down or wrong. :smile:

venkkiram
18th April 2012, 07:42 PM
yOv KadupEtha vendam :x , Thilagam is OK with ARR songs, but an utter murderer with IR, cos in ARR songs Technology and Music over shadows Vocals, so Thilgam gets away with it :lol: இதுபோன்ற பொதுப்படையான கருத்திற்கு உடன்பாடு கிடையாது. 1) ராஜா இசையில் பாடிய எல்லா மனோ பாடல்களுமே புறக்கணிக்கத் தக்கவை அல்ல. 2) ராஜா, ரஹ்மான், தேவா, சிற்பி, வித்யாசாகர் என இசையமைப்பாளர் யாராக இருப்பினும் பின்னணி இசையினால் மனோவின் குரல் மந்தப்படவில்லை.

venkkiram
18th April 2012, 07:44 PM
muthumaNi -3 (B(K), venkki, engine, V_S)நாலு ஓட்டுக்கள் எப்படி மூன்றானது? யாரப்பா அரை ஓட்டு போட்ட கொடை வள்ளல்?

app_engine
18th April 2012, 08:04 PM
நாலு ஓட்டுக்கள் எப்படி மூன்றானது? யாரப்பா அரை ஓட்டு போட்ட கொடை வள்ளல்?

Mine is split between rAjAthi & muthu.

Plum & groucho have recommended to split V_Sji's vote between muthu & sAmi kitta.

So, not just one arai - there are two arai's :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 08:17 PM
இதுபோன்ற பொதுப்படையான கருத்திற்கு உடன்பாடு கிடையாது. 1) ராஜா இசையில் பாடிய எல்லா மனோ பாடல்களுமே புறக்கணிக்கத் தக்கவை அல்ல. 2) ராஜா, ரஹ்மான், தேவா, சிற்பி, வித்யாசாகர் என இசையமைப்பாளர் யாராக இருப்பினும் பின்னணி இசையினால் மனோவின் குரல் மந்தப்படவில்லை.

Venki

It is not on a personal level at all, I hope you understand me. But he tries to imitate SPB to the core and fails miserably. SPB is the one who introduced "Siniungal, laughs, cries, jollu, nakkal, and any kind of emotion one can thing of” into singing, prior to SPB, it was TMS he was successful to a certain extent but not as successful as SPB, I don’t think even Kishore Kumar can com close to SPB in this aspect!

I don’t know whether you know this, MV can imitate TMS, CSJ etc. There was another singer called Kovai Soundararajan who also imitated TMS , but these guys knew their limit and sang mostly in their original style, which can never be said about Mano, None of the songs he has sang are challenging!!! Tell me difficult song he sang? All his songs can be sung by "hariyudan naan participants”!

venkkiram
18th April 2012, 08:28 PM
Venki

It is not on a personal level at all, I hope you understand me. But he tries to imitate SPB to the core and fails miserably. SPB is the one who introduced "Siniungal, laughs, cries, jollu, nakkal, and any kind of emotion one can thing of” into singing, prior to SPB, it was TMS he was successful to a certain extent but not as successful as SPB, I don’t think even Kishore Kumar can com close to SPB in this aspect!

I don’t know whether you know this, MV can imitate TMS, CSJ etc. There was another singer called Kovai Soundararajan who also imitated TMS , but these guys knew their limit and sang mostly in their original style, which can never be said about Mano, None of the songs he has sang are challenging!!! Tell me difficult song he sang? All his songs can be sung by "hariyudan naan participants”!

புடிச்ச முயலுக்கு மூணே காலுன்னு நிக்கிறிங்க. இருந்தாலும் கருத்தை வைக்கிறேன். நிறைய இருக்கிறது. மனோ பாடிய தேன்மொழி எந்தன் தேன்மொழி சிறப்பான பாடல். உங்க தர்க்கத்தில் பார்த்தால் உன்னி மேனன், மது பாலகிருஷ்ணன் போன்ற பாடகர்கள் யேசுதாசின் நகல் என சொல்லிவிடலாம். ஆனால் அப்படியல்ல. மனோவிற்கென்று ஒரு குரல் இருக்கிறது. அது பாலுவின் சாயலில், குரல் அலையில் ஒத்தது போல இருப்பதால் பாலு போலவே மனோ பாட விரும்புகிறார் என்பது தவறான கண்ணோட்டம். நீங்க பாலுவின் தீவிர ரசிகராக இருங்கள். ஆனால் மனோவை கடுமையாக விமர்சனம் செய்வது ஒட்டுமொத்தமாக அவர் பாடிய பாடல்களையும் மறைமுகமாக விமர்சனம் செய்கிறீர்கள் என அர்த்தம்.

Plum
18th April 2012, 08:39 PM
Oho thread threadA pOyi vote sEkkaRingaLA? Voter listla unga supporterai pugutharadhula ninga dmknA naan kolkata cpm. Ippo paarunga?

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 08:40 PM
Venki

I was not talking about his voice, I was talking about his singing style!!! Thenmozhi enthan then mozhi ellam kashtamana paadal na , no need to continue :)

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 08:41 PM
Oho thread threadA pOyi vote sEkkaRingaLA? Voter listla unga supporterai pugutharadhula ninga dmknA naan kolkata cpm. Ippo paarunga?

Back up needed :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
18th April 2012, 08:41 PM
Venki
++ on Mano.
Thenmozhi is a wonderful example. And the point about Mano in Rahman songs is ridiculous. Aayirathil Naan Oruvan (Iruvar) laam enna solluveenga

Plum
SPB yen first choice illa nu ketta ok but my point is that nadandhadhu nadandhu pochu, paadittaar, enakkennamo nalla dhaan irunchu

P.S: Fcukin autotext :banghead:

Plum
18th April 2012, 08:43 PM
Faramu - I suffort you in the anti-mano crusade. In return, please post this as it is : "my (faramu's) vote is for saamikitta"

Bala (Karthik)
18th April 2012, 08:46 PM
aNNan's reactions to the couple's romaans

:rotfl3:

Plum
18th April 2012, 08:50 PM
Faramu - here's my part of the deal: mano ozhiga, nagoor babu ozhiga, spb wannabe ozhiga, poli SPBgaLai kaNdu EmARAdhIR!

SoftSword
18th April 2012, 09:01 PM
#348 வானம் தொட்டுப்போன

Another SPB song from the same movie that I've heard only a few times - mostly during bus travels. Unlike the previous song that I've heard a few times on radio, I don't remember hearing this number ever otherwise. Sounds nice, with SPB throwing in appropriate emotions (there are actually two version on thiraippAdal - both having the same melody but different orchestration / tempo etc and possibly for two different situations in the movie).

indha song'ku unga total reactionae ivlodhaanaa??? :evil:

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 09:01 PM
P.S: Fcukin autotext :banghead:

Humble request No swearing pls

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 09:03 PM
Faramu - I suffort you in the anti-mano crusade. In return, please post this as it is : "my (faramu's) vote is for saamikitta"

Ok App anna

My vote is for Saami kitta :)

V_S
18th April 2012, 09:26 PM
:lol: :notworthy: neenga election'layE nikkalaam.

jaiganes
18th April 2012, 09:28 PM
புடிச்ச முயலுக்கு மூணே காலுன்னு நிக்கிறிங்க. இருந்தாலும் கருத்தை வைக்கிறேன். நிறைய இருக்கிறது. மனோ பாடிய தேன்மொழி எந்தன் தேன்மொழி சிறப்பான பாடல். உங்க தர்க்கத்தில் பார்த்தால் உன்னி மேனன், மது பாலகிருஷ்ணன் போன்ற பாடகர்கள் யேசுதாசின் நகல் என சொல்லிவிடலாம். ஆனால் அப்படியல்ல. மனோவிற்கென்று ஒரு குரல் இருக்கிறது. அது பாலுவின் சாயலில், குரல் அலையில் ஒத்தது போல இருப்பதால் பாலு போலவே மனோ பாட விரும்புகிறார் என்பது தவறான கண்ணோட்டம். நீங்க பாலுவின் தீவிர ரசிகராக இருங்கள். ஆனால் மனோவை கடுமையாக விமர்சனம் செய்வது ஒட்டுமொத்தமாக அவர் பாடிய பாடல்களையும் மறைமுகமாக விமர்சனம் செய்கிறீர்கள் என அர்த்தம்.
in my abipraayam both SPB and Mano are trying to invoke Ghantasaala and SPB is more successful at this.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th April 2012, 09:44 PM
in my abipraayam both SPB and Mano are trying to invoke Ghantasaala and SPB is more successful at this.

aha Puthusa oru Ragalaiya aarambichuar! Ghantasala's voice is totally Different to SPB and these singers were in Two different Era !

Flau

Your Telugu expertise required!

Plum
18th April 2012, 11:07 PM
SPB did start off trying to imitate Ghantasala - as that was the requirement then in Telugu. Music Director specification kodukkum bOdhE idhu key requirementA veppAr. As he is a fan of Rafi, konjam konjam Rafi styleum theriyum but that was not very prominent. pOga pOga, SPB evolved his own style. Manovukku apdi solla mudiyumA? (Yeah, he evolved the hey shabba muqabla style - adhellaam oru perumaiyaa?). And I dont care about his evolution post mid-90s, as he had done enough damage to IR songs by then. Mano - mannikka mudiyAdha karumbuLLi in IR's career. RAmarajan pada paadalgaL apdinNE oru genrevai sila janam odhukku vekkudhu - idhu nadappu uNmaim hublEyE pAkkalAm - adhula Manovukkum perum pangu uNdu. Thaenmozhi pAttu lyrics ippO gnAbagam illai - oru muRai kEttuttu, mano epdi pAdi irukkArO apdiyE post paNdrEn - adhuvum original lyricsum evLo oththu pOgudhunnu neenga ellOrumE sollunga - assuming we can find the original lyrics. The man has what I call the tongue-tied problem - I have the same problem. adhAvadhu, nAkku nEELAdhu.(Tied to inner mouth). idhanAla, sila vArthaigaL theLivA ucharikka mudiyAdhu. Manokku andha medical condition irukkA illaiyA theriyalai - but andha symptoms mattum theLviA irukku. I cant remember other examples now and have to quote only this trivial one but it should give an indiacation - befiore the movie was released, for quite some time, I used to think it is pandiyanin raajiyathil gujjalaaala. (Radiola promos varum - muzhu pAttu varaaadhu adhanaala chitra portions kekkalai). padam vandhappuRam chitra paadiyadhai vechu dhaan uyaalaalanu therinjudhu. In this case, lyric loss oNNum illai but ipdi pala samplegaL irukku.

FAramu, ivLO menaketturukkEn, innoru id create paNNi innoru vote pottudunga :)

Plum
18th April 2012, 11:08 PM
konjam imagine paNNi pArthEn(kEttEn) - Ghantasala singing "iLamai idhO idhO"...:lol:

HonestRaj
18th April 2012, 11:37 PM
:ty: nerd :)

avar inga regular illAinnAlum, sinna kounder varumpOthu kooppida solli irukkAr :-) avarOda AsthAna thread'la onnu postREn...

91 end'la irundhu regular'ah inge irukken.. :)

Current count :

count me in for "muthumaNi mAlai"

I liked Susheela's singing.. yarukkum pidikkalaya :?
good choice for this one, rather than usual janaki..

no need to mention.. total album :bow: starting from IR's "kannupada pogudhayya" till spb's "koondukulla ennai vechu"

Bala (Karthik)
18th April 2012, 11:54 PM
Plum :lol: :lol:
I kind of get what you mean. Mano koral stuff panna madhiri irukkum and his voice is not pleasant on the ears IMO. Neengalum Paramu-vum solra alavukku mosamilla, avlodhaan. Paramu vera edho fans range ku project panraaru.
And gujjalaala'laam illainga :lol: uyyalaala (or) vuyyalaala nu dhaane kekkudhu. Any other example?

app_engine
18th April 2012, 11:58 PM
#351 இங்கே மானமுள்ள பொண்ணு ஒன்ன
(சின்னப்பசங்க நாங்க, 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0502'&lang=en)

'ingE mAnamuLLa poNNu onna' from chinnappasanga nAnga

Another 'heard-in-buses-only' song, a pathos by SPB for which a happy SJ solo counterpart is available on the album as well ("enna mAnamuLLa poNNu ennu marudhaiyila kEttAha"). Sweet folk melody and hence automatically enjoyable number for me. Other standard IR ingradients are present as well. SPB provides measured emotions and does a decent job. (I generally love IR-SPB folksy pathos numbers - they never go overboard but achieve thoNdai adaikkal on most cases).

Googling tells me that the movie had Murali & Revathy and one Raj Kapoor as director. Other than that, no facts & figures can be ascertained for the movie as I dont have any memory associated with it except the songs that got played frequently during bus trips. I must add that the SJ number was possibly more popular than the SPB one, as I recollect hearing that more often...

app_engine
19th April 2012, 12:08 AM
nanRi Param & HR, for the votes :-)

rAjAthi rAjA's thanthrams - 2.5 (N, jg, A)
muthu maNi mAlai - 4 (B(K),v,_E,V_,HR)
sAmi kitta - 3.5 (P,g,Sji,Param)

Still muthu maNi mAlai leading :thumbsup:

rajkumarc
19th April 2012, 01:17 AM
My vote for #366 is Sami Kitta. Completely floored by the beautiful orchestration, SPB/SJ's rendition and of course Annan's expressions :lol:

Plum/Param - This vote is not because I hate Mano's singing to the core :smile:. I'm taking the line of V_S, Venki here as I do like some of Mano - IR songs, not just because of Mano's singing but the overall quality in song - tune, orchestration etc. I really don't mind his voice but do wish SPB had sung some of his songs.

app_engine
19th April 2012, 02:13 AM
rajkumarc:-)

appO neenga groucho katchi :wink:

app_engine
19th April 2012, 03:13 AM
There's a duet in CPN (SPB-SJ - starts 'mayilAdum') but not very familiar to me (may not be a hit song)...so, skip.

groucho070
19th April 2012, 07:39 AM
Grouch, aNNan is the villian in aavaaram poo. Plis. to watch the youtube of the song for aNNan's reactions to the couple's romaans (check the top comment on this video too) :lol:aNNan reaction = priceless. Thanks man. And vineeth :banghead:

By the by, what happened to that girl :oops:

groucho070
19th April 2012, 07:50 AM
Ingga Mano fan yAru? I think that SPB is the greatest ever, far greater than even the great TMS. But Mano was harmless, compared to, say, Hariharan who's blandness in non-ARR songs are stuff of the legend. Even HH/IR, I can't listen to. If Mano/IR song were terrible, blame IR for not whipping Mano for doing a terrible job and abandoning him for some other second grades. But that's for you guys, most of us are very happy with those songs, as, I believe, the maestro himself. Go suck citrus fruit of your choice :evil:

jaiganes
19th April 2012, 09:31 AM
There's a duet in CPN (SPB-SJ - starts 'mayilAdum') but not very familiar to me (may not be a hit song)...so, skip.

yoav ennaayya neeye. summaa phenomenal songs ellaathayume skip adikkare?...i think 90s ku indha vandiyai vera aal kitte dhaan kudukkanum...
Chinnapasanga naanga was a movie that resurrected murali's career in 90s.. This was one movie which Raaja and RP.Viswam made memorable through music and
acting. kadanjedutha villathanathai cinemavil kondu varuvadhil migundha vetri adaindha oru nadigar RP>Viswam.
Mayilaadum thoappil in many ways ranks much higher than "Ennai thottu" - simply for the dulcet singing of baalu and awesome preludes and interludes by Raaja..
Cuteness of Saradha preetha added additional "it" factor to this song. Raj Kapoor's choice of locales made for one nicely picturised songs of 90s..
kovathula enakku koarvaya ezudha kooda varalai....
Andha starting 30 secondsla Beethoven and mozart prathyakshamaa vandhuttu povaanga. sangeedha sampoornamyaa andha movement..!!! adhukkappuram pallavila andha raagam (adhu ennaannu
periyavaaal solvaa) andha bhaavam - idhellaam Raja-SPB yoda Sachin - sehwag combinationla summaa ALLum... we are all lucky buggers.. - but like kids born with silver spoon - ennaa anubavichomnu kooda
namakku theriyala.. hmmmm
A_E kovathula vaarthai kooda pesirundha kshamikkanum..

Plum
19th April 2012, 10:04 AM
1. Bala - harmless, sari mediocre illaiyA? Depends on what you call harm. Adhu theriyaama kekkarache gujjalaala dhaanga. Ninga therinju kekkaringa uyalaalanu. As I said, thenmozhi oru dabaa kettuttu post pandren lyrics. Ninga autotext post onnu pottingale - adhu maadhiri dhaen irukkum. 2. Kraucher - with you on karikaran. But if you lived through anticipating Idh Thir and listened to Mano's kari kada bhai renditions, you are unlikely to forgive him in a hurry. Karikaran mostly mokkaied in Deva songs - devavoda kalai padaippugaLai naasam paNNiyadhAl enakkenna nattam? I am only concerned about killers of IR songs. Mano is the supreme leader of this gang. As for blaming IR for this: shanmugasundaram in Kizhakku Vaasal after slapping kushboo's mother for Kushboo's indiscretions: "unnai epdimA nAn adippEn? Eppddi adippEn"(naa thazhu thazhuththal)

Plum
19th April 2012, 10:17 AM
Jai - adhaanE. The worst miss, this one. Not as big a hit as Ennai Thottu but a lovely one and a decent hit too. Not a typical IR song in that the long luxurious phrases affording the singer some space are not typical of Raja. Still fast paced ofcourse. Kanaga lite Saradhapreetha cuteA? Sari teenage aberrationnu nenaichu loosela vittudaren. Revathy talked up the role as unusual for her, and how she enjoyed loosening up on screen. Sadly, the enjoyment didn't translate to the audience. That said, ennai maanamulla song-la oothi koduththu aada vuttAngaLAnnu nenaikkaRa rangeku Ada vutturuppAnga.

raajarasigan
19th April 2012, 10:24 AM
I liked Susheela's singing.. yarukkum pidikkalaya :?
good choice for this one, rather than usual janaki.. naan than irukkEnla...:-)

groucho070
19th April 2012, 10:27 AM
As for blaming IR for this: shanmugasundaram in Kizhakku Vaasal after slapping kushboo's mother for Kushboo's indiscretions: "unnai epdimA nAn adippEn? Eppddi adippEn"(naa thazhu thazhuththal):lol:

Plum
19th April 2012, 10:45 AM
Rajkumar - varuga varuga, good choice :thumbsup: . Ungal mano premaiyai(or indifference) madhikkaROm. Aadharavukku nandri. Mano pErai solli rendu SPB pAttukku naduvula theevira saNdai undAkkinAn pArunga - angE dhAn nikkaRAn thamizhan :)

Devaraagam
19th April 2012, 03:37 PM
There's a duet in CPN (SPB-SJ - starts 'mayilAdum') but not very familiar to me (may not be a hit song)...so, skip. Vanmaiyaga kandikiren..this is the top number in CPN and hit too..(can say average hit). you can give anything to SPB they way he rendered this song. equivalent to muthumani of CG not less than that.

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 03:56 PM
Mano - mannikka mudiyAdha karumbuLLi in IR's career

:exactly: Grave mistake by IR

The man has what I call the tongue-tied problem - I have the same problem. adhAvadhu, nAkku nEELAdhu.(Tied to inner mouth). idhanAla, sila vArthaigaL theLivA ucharikka mudiyAdhu. Manokku andha medical condition irukkA illaiyA theriyalai - but andha symptoms mattum theLviA irukku.
yes I have noticed that, may be that is why his voice sounds bad, if that is medical condition then I do feel sorry for him. When I spoke to him(while he was in London) his speech was not crystal clear!

FAramu, ivLO menaketturukkEn, innoru id create paNNi innoru vote pottudunga :)

ullEn aiya :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 04:04 PM
konjam imagine paNNi pArthEn(kEttEn) - Ghantasala singing "iLamai idhO idhO"...:lol:

Imgaine "edaku mudakana saraku (Kalaignan), arE Oranga sree lanka (SG)" In Ghantasla style/Voice :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 04:15 PM
Ingga Mano fan yAru? I think that SPB is the greatest ever, far greater than even the great TMS. But Mano was harmless, compared to, say, Hariharan who's blandness in non-ARR songs are stuff of the legend. Even HH/IR, I can't listen to. If Mano/IR song were terrible, blame IR for not whipping Mano for doing a terrible job and abandoning him for some other second grades. But that's for you guys, most of us are very happy with those songs, as, I believe, the maestro himself. Go suck citrus fruit of your choice :evil:

GaryHaran is a pain as well under IR , he is only good for ARR, But at least he does not try and imitate any one!

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 04:29 PM
Mano is the supreme leader of this gang.

Very true, dont forget Arunmozhi and to some extent Beejay's uncle as well!

app_engine
19th April 2012, 07:08 PM
jaiganes & Devaraagam,

poRuththaruLka :-)

From the time I listened to this number yesterday, the song keeps playing in my head and I should say, quite addictive! By not posting about this, I don't mean to take anything away from the greatness of the song!

From the beginning, I'm guided by some ground-rules for this project. Rather, "definitions to classify a song as hit". As we all know, things can get very subjective in the case of some songs, while certain others are unquestionably big hits.

So, my simple rules to qualify a hit were like this :

a) Songs that need no reference or that automatically play in mind when I read the title get included (e.g. 'iLamai idhO idhO' of SKV)

b) Movies / songs that are listed in thiraippAdal / rAkkammA but do not sound familiar should be given JUST ONE LISTEN. And if the song sounds very familiar / plays back from memory etc, it gets included (this is my own way of qualifying a "hit"...e.g. 'manjappodi thEykkayilE' of sheNbagamE sheNbagamE)

It's true that my familiarity is excellent between 76-86 but progressively decays in later part of 80's (Palakkad effect). It becomes drastic in the 90's (kudumbappoRuppu effect).

Which is why there'll be an "app-missed-list" that will be posted about after I end this series, which will possibly happen by end of May.

So, I'm trying to be responsible and sticking to the project guidelines.

There'll always be "post-launch-enhancements" :lol2: Already, A_S is tracking the missed ones. In addition, I'll be e-mailing an excel sheet of the list already posted, possibly with embedded links, at the end of the series. That'll be available to any-who-asks-for. That way, it'll be easier to add more hits.

In addition, we'll have ongoing special posts from V_Sji (on both posted ones and possibly the missed ones) :-)

So, my serial numbering is not the end of the world :-)

app_engine
19th April 2012, 07:13 PM
to some extent Beejay's uncle as well!

pAvam, avaraiyellAm En thittuReenga?

He possibly sang a max of 10 songs or so under IR in the whole career but made a living by dubbing for Mohan for all his silver jubilee hits! Movies that perhaps had the biggest hits of SPB in the early 80's.

Even some of those numbers possibly got into the cassette by SPB telling rAsA 'dEi, indha track singing arumaiyA irukku - pAvam, appadiyE vitRalAm' :lol: (This is my guess, for the 'dEvan kOyil deepam onRu' song...however, I hardly hear the SNS version as SJ's version thoroughly killed the male one).

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 07:18 PM
pAvam, avaraiyellAm En thittuReenga?

Apadi onnum illa APP anna, IMHO devan kovil was imsai because of SNS, on the other hand SJ excels in that!

app_engine
19th April 2012, 07:19 PM
Vote tally :

mannan song 2.5 (no new votes)

gounder song 5 (add raajarasigan)

AvArampoo song 4.5 (add rajkumar)

venkkiram
19th April 2012, 07:24 PM
GaryHaran is a pain as well under IR , he is only good for ARR, But at least he does not try and imitate any one! மனோ. இப்போ ஹரிஹரனா? கண்டனங்கள்! Please read Plum's signature for reference.

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 07:28 PM
SPB telling rAsA 'dEi, indha track singing arumaiyA irukku - pAvam, appadiyE vitRalAm' :lol:

:lol: Yes SNS said this in JayaTV's "Thirumbi partkiren" programme! He also mentioned the Humbleness of SPB and how every one was envy of the Legend! :thumbsup:

app_engine
19th April 2012, 07:32 PM
SNS said this JayaTV's "Thirumbi partkiren" programme!

Really?

Mine was only a guess / vambuppEchchu...didn't realize it actually happened :shock:

jaiganes
19th April 2012, 07:45 PM
:lol: Yes SNS said this JayaTV's "Thirumbi partkiren" programme! He also mentioned the Humbleness of SPB and how every one was envy of the Legend! :thumbsup:
Idhu Plum vasikkum kaadu - indha keywords use panninaa avaru signature dhaan.. ushaaru ushaaru..

HonestRaj
19th April 2012, 07:46 PM
Vote tally :

mannan song 2.5 (no new votes)

gounder song 5 (add raajarasigan)

AvArampoo song 4.5 (add rajkumar)

pOra pOkka partha idhula kooda jeikka mattOmatta irukku...
ennoda maththa ID ellam veLiye edukattuma :roll:

seekiram # 366 post pannunga.. appuram maththadhellam pannikkalam...

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 07:48 PM
Really?

Mine was only a guess / vambuppEchchu...didn't realize it actually happened :shock:

Yes I watched it about 6 months ago :) He Said that SPB was in singapore for recording during that time, hence rAsA asked him to sing the song as a track singer, and that when SPB returned he returned back to TN , SPB appearently said to rAsA, "dEi ithE nalla irukE ithaiyaE pOttudu" and rAsA obliged !!!

V_S
19th April 2012, 07:53 PM
:lol: Yes SNS said this in JayaTV's "Thirumbi partkiren" programme! He also mentioned the Humbleness of SPB and how every one was envy of the Legend! :thumbsup:
I don't think it is S N Surendar, it is Deepan Chakravarthy who told this. I don't remember the song now (may be poonkathavE, not sure).

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 07:55 PM
I don't think it is S N Surendar, it is Deepan Chakravarthy who told this. I don't remember the song now (may be poonkathavE, not sure).

:oops: :oops: yeah may be DC , sorry I got it mixed up! :oops: yes it was DC

Sorry app anna :oops:

app_engine
19th April 2012, 08:02 PM
seekiram # 366 post pannunga.. appuram maththadhellam pannikkalam...

:rotfl2:

Only a few more days :-)

I'm trying to catch up with my 'song-a-day' record, looks like I'll do it this afternoon as there seems to be a dull-at-work period...

app_engine
19th April 2012, 08:05 PM
:oops: :oops: yeah may be DC , sorry I got missed up! :oops: yes it was DC

Sorry app anna :oops:

I remember reading about the only DC song in kAdhal Oviyam (poojaikkAka vAzhum poovai sooRaiyAdal muRaiyO) such a thing. IIRC, DC even got a state award for that number.

That's why I posted about the 'track-singing' thingy for the NPP song. Looks like a wrong-trigger to Param's memory...

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 08:09 PM
Looks like a wrong-trigger to Param's memory...
:oops: Office la post panrathE romba kasthtam, pakathula boss vEra. intha tension la ellam marunthu pochu, fast ah type (bayanthu baynthu) panralatha spelling mistake vEra :banghead:

PARAMASHIVAN
19th April 2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks to Nagoor Babu, we managed to fill 2 pages :lol:

Back to the normal discussion pls :)

When was Kalaignan released??

V_S
19th April 2012, 09:16 PM
I remember reading about the only DC song in kAdhal Oviyam (poojaikkAka vAzhum poovai sooRaiyAdal muRaiyO) such a thing. IIRC, DC even got a state award for that number.

That's why I posted about the 'track-singing' thingy for the NPP song. Looks like a wrong-trigger to Param's memory...
Yes, App you are right, it is poojaikkaaga, not poonkathavE.

app_engine
19th April 2012, 09:18 PM
#352 வைகை நதி ஓரம் பொன்மாலை நேரம்
(ரிக்சா மாமா, 1992 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3136'&lang=en)

'vaigai nadhi Oram ponmAlai nEram' from rickshaw mAmA, with SJ

For some reason, the phrase 'kaL vadiyum pookkaL' got stronger memory recall than the first line that SPB sings or the tossed literary line that SJ sings prior. Sweet song by the star pair from another movie that I don't know much about. Net sources say a P Vasu + Sathyaraj combo movie. Sathyaraj was doing MGR-like-acts from time to time and the movie title possibly had something to do with that (rickshAkkAran to rickshA mAmA).

Coming back to the 'kaL vadiyum pookkaL' thingy : since VM was the first to coin this for the 'Ayiram thAmarai mottukkaLE' song, this seems to be a suruttal by the lyricist (whoever it is). Interestingly, that phrase also brings to mind the image of actress NaLini sitting on the front bar of a bicycle in a cinema poster (with her typical intolerable smile). That poster was for the movie 'kaL vadiyum pookkaL' :lol2: There were some tfmpage discussions & dhool articles on songs from that movie, MD-ed by Shyam.

The other funny thing that always comes to mind about 'kaLLu' is the sign boards of 'kaLLu shops' of Kerala, when I first visited the state during my +2 days (I think in the year 1980). TN had prohibition those days and the TN kudi makkaL had to go to other states to drink. So, while no other shops inside Kerala had any kind of Thamizh sign boards, all those kaLLu & chArAya shops -not just the border towns of Kerala but even in villages inside the state -had their boards with kaLLu or chArAyam written in Thamizh :lol:

Plum
19th April 2012, 10:47 PM
Rickshaw mama is one of the umpteen sathyaraj-gounder combo movies of 90s forever immortalized by aNNan's genius. It also holds the infamy of unleashing baby sridevi on us. It is another matter that Sridevi grew up to become the best "figure" from the Vijayakumar household. Those days Sathyaraj tried all 3c1, 3c2 combination of khushboo, bhanupriya and gauthami. Viz khushboo and gauthami(this movie), khush and bhanu(brahmaa), gauthami and bhanu(magudam), khushboo alone(nadigan), bhanu alone(pudhu manidhan, pangaali), gauthami alone(velai kedaichidichu).

app_engine
19th April 2012, 11:34 PM
#353 தங்க நிலவுக்குள்
(ரிக்சா மாமா, 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3135'&lang=en)

'thanga nilavukkuL' of ricksA mAmA

A very soothing SPB solo song with an irritating male chorus chant in the 2nd interlude (there's also some intolerable female sound prior to that). Possibly a vaLai kAppu song - I wonder if the hero sings for his sister or some situation like that. If Sathyaraj is seen on screen singing a song for the vaLaikAppu of his sister, that would be the ultimate comedy for me :lol2: Plum or someone who watched this movie : please post about the sichchuvEshan. I'm suffering from curiosity:-)

The short flute responses to the singer's calls are exquisite delights! This song used to be a regular on Cbe area buses, much like the other Sathyaraj songs that we've discussed in this thread. I'm not very sure whether it enjoyed the same level of popularity from the rest of TN :roll: Also, I remember listening to this song a few times on Kovai vAnoli which started getting played at home almost regularly around this time. They used to announce the name of the movie but apparently it never got registered in my mind. Now, thanks to this exercise, I get to remember the name of this delightful song's movie!

A sweet SPB winner!

app_engine
19th April 2012, 11:38 PM
There are a few more SPB songs listed under ricksAw in thiraippAdal but they don't have brain-recall :-(

So, all of them get skipped and let's move on to the 'manadhai ennavO paNNum' short SPB song from another movie that Nerd talked about a few pages back...

genesis
19th April 2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks to Nagoor Babu, we managed to fill 2 pages :lol:

Back to the normal discussion pls :)

When was Kalaignan released??

Not yet param. I could not get much time for last few days. (promise, not scared of Plum)

Plum - Can you please post the original lyrics for Mano's biggest hit ever "mukkala mukkabula"? முக்கால் பல்லா or முக்கால் புல்லா?

app_engine
20th April 2012, 12:44 AM
#354 கோட்டையை விட்டு வேட்டைக்குப்போகும்
(சின்னத்தாயி, 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0515','SNGIRR0516','SNGIR R0517'&lang=en)

'kottaiyai vittu vEttaikkuppOgum' from sinnaththAyi

The link has all three songs - the short one by SPB, another by SJ and one by kids with possibly Sunantha. The SPB version has an interesting ghatam-like sound as the prelude but the accompaniment for his singing has soft (tablA) rhythm arrangements that are atypical to the kind of song. Possibly a softer situation on screen that didn't demand the eerines that goes along with the big fearsome villageside statue / huge horse idol etc. The kids song as well as the SJ version have that bayamuRuththal sounds.

The urumi & country drums that go along with the non-SPB versions can easily transport one to the TN country side where sAmi kumbidu with mAviLakku / theechchatti / moLappAri / kadA vettu etc. could be times of extremes. For most, it's probably meant festivity. For some though, it could mean sheer fear and anxiety as liquor could flow freely and "old scores" could get settled.

In any case, the appearance of some of the village idols could be terrifying for kids who weren't exposed to them before. It was a big thing for some of my "from-town-city-or-other-state" kind of relative kids when they visited our country side. The huge, fearsome statues - AnthaikkaNNu, koduvA meesai etc - and the huge horse idols were frightening to most of them :-)

app_engine
20th April 2012, 12:52 AM
With that sinnaththAyi song, all the backlog got cleared :-)

Now I need to post today's song and we'll be current!

At the rate of one song a day for the rest of the month, we'll hit #366 on the last day of April!

hurrAy!!

app_engine
20th April 2012, 01:16 AM
#355 வனமெல்லாம் செண்பகப்பூ
(நாடோடிப்பாட்டுக்காரன், 1992) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2169'&lang=en)

vanamellAm sheNbagappoo from nAdOdippAttukkAran

Quite an interesting song, with an unusual kind of rhythm arrangement for the pallavi - something that sounds like "reverse gear" and not often heard in IR songs IMO. Catchy melody and possibly provided some "mass screen presence" thingy for Karthik those days. However, the movie's name makes it obscure - with too many movies having pAttukkAran suffix those days (as also nAdOdi prefix). I don't have any idea about the movie at all!

The song is strongly etched in memory, however :-) Once again, I can't place a specific time period as to when I actually heard this song :-( While there's no question that I've listened to it only on PA systems (and not on a personal audio / radio), it's got to be around the time of its arrival - during my many trips to Cbe & rest of TN in the early 90's. Other hubbers may be able to chip-in more details about the movie /songs.

In addition, I don't have much familiarity with other songs of this album at all!

(continued here: http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?10051-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-Part-2 )