PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

Plum
28th February 2012, 10:27 PM
Nerd you outed App. He is a closet Kamal fan ! App vaanga anban thlamaiyila mandrathula serndhudunga. Bk kaila adayaala attai vazhangum vizhaa nadathidalaam

app_engine
28th February 2012, 10:36 PM
He is a closet Kamal fan !

closet'lAm illenga, open only :-) But, I'm also a Rajini fan, again open only :-) Also NTF...M&M-F...not a very long list but not exclusive either :-)

Obviously, the only exclusivity exists among composers :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 10:52 PM
Shobana - Ethanai azaghu :lol2: :p :lol2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Imd0tJkcs&feature=player_detailpage

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 10:52 PM
Any Shobana Fans here ? :lol2:

app_engine
28th February 2012, 10:58 PM
Why does it always happen to Rajini films?

Plum solRadhellAm nambAdheenga, kuzhappam uNdAkka muyalkiRAr :-)

(BTW, the only Thamizh movies that I watched in "theater" in amerikkA are sivAji & enthiran...and idhu varai DVD-il kooda pArkkAtha pada listil uLLavai : dasA & ambu :oops:)

genesis
28th February 2012, 10:58 PM

app - someone is calling for you!!

app_engine
28th February 2012, 11:01 PM

Not a big fan of her appearance but I liked many movies of her in Malayalam, especially the ones with M & M...she has a nice overall screen presence, like her auntee!

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 11:01 PM
Plum solRadhellAm nambAdheenga, kuzhappam uNdAkka muyalkiRAr :-)

Ada vidunga we all know about Naradar :)

Naradar Kalagam Nanmayil mudiyum :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 11:04 PM
Not a big fan of her appearance but I liked many movies of her in Malayalam, especially the ones with M & M...she has a nice overall screen presence, like her auntee!

:x

May Fav Beauty list (though they are old enough to be my aunties :oops:) of 80's

1) Madhavi
2) Polladhavan - Lakshmi
3) Rati Agnihortri
4) Thalayai Kuniyum Thamarai -Suma Latha
5) Shobana

app_engine
28th February 2012, 11:06 PM
app - someone is calling for you!!

Ofcourse, she gets extra marks for eyes!

:-)

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 11:08 PM
Ofcourse, she gets extra marks for eyes!

:thumbsup: U do have good taste :) Add Madahavi Pon mayilal to the list of Eye beauties!

app_engine
29th February 2012, 12:24 AM
#304 அடி வான்மதி என் பார்வதி
(சிவா, 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3381'&lang=en)

adi vAnmathi en pArvathi of sivA

Another SPB-KSC duet from the same movie, as already told in a number of posts above. In my personal rating, way below the 'iru vizhiyin vazhiyE' - too simple and masAlA sounding song- but a bigger hit I think. Also, any reference to dEvadAs / pArvathi is a big turn-off for me in film songs (unless the song is the old 'O, O, O dEvadAs' :lol2:). There's no question SPB & Chitra do perfect justice to the average (except the first line of saraNam which is fabulous as usual) melody , nailing every bit to perfection and add a lot of value by their own capability. But from rAsA side it is so-so IMVHO. So what, it was a hit and that's what counts :-)

I haven't seen the youtubes yet but my general observation on usage of Shobana in MF v/s TF - she never even had a decent costume in TF (with the exception of thaLabathi) I think. She was mostly nicely saree-clad in MF (except song sequences where the northie style colorful pAvAdai sattai was given) and got elegant roles also (e.g. nAdOdikkARRu or veLLAnaikaLude nAdu, very likeable). OTOH, the TFs (i.e. the few I've seen where she was heroini) showed her horrible, the worst example being idhu namma ALu. I think she was doing a silukku kind of role in that KBR / Balakumaran movie.

Going by the year, Rajini should have had his typical "air-blown" hairstyle, leather jacket etc and showed all his thuLLal / thudippu. Even an average storyline could have easily made the users like the movie but the producer / director thought otherwise I think. For whatever reason, they took a 70's kalaichchelvam and produced a very-unwatchable flick, inexplicable considering that KB was in the equation too...well, like the earlier quoted Sujatha's remarks - film industry has never figured out exactly what works and what does not...

baroque
29th February 2012, 03:30 AM
bass guitar, flute & violin melody, lilting tune, I love the song always. Pahadi melody, just like ore naal unai naan..... or indha maan undhan......etc..
சின்ன ரோஜா இதழ் அது கன்னம் நானேன்றது... andha kutti konjal podhumey enakku, I crawl under S.P.Bala's feet:musicsmile:, there you go... he satisfied my emotional need for today! I will run with a huge smile whole day!:-D

Raja truly enhanced the joy with charanams, App_eng.

vinatha.

Divine22
29th February 2012, 06:15 AM
Hi app sir ,

The journey has successfully reached the triumphant 300!! Thank you for the wonderful posts and your stories , kept me hooked to this thread. :) Melum thodarattum intha payanam ... :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow:

Here we come 90's!

youtube links for the 2 sweeties Iru Vizhiyin Vazhiye & Adi Parvathi .. The man really made Ray-ban sun glasses famous those days :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlEti1lzVc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NdoyW1CG1A

PARAMASHIVAN
29th February 2012, 03:54 PM
Adi kantha yenatha - was quite an Ordinary tune in the movie, well for IR standards!

BTw, can some tell me what "vaanmathi " means? Is it moon?

app_engine
29th February 2012, 04:28 PM
nanRi for your comments, baroque!

Divine22, Thank you for the kind words & the youtube links! As I mentioned in the vAnmathi post, Shobana's costumes are (expectedly) horrible :-(

Param, vAnmathi - made up of two words, vAn = sky & mathi = moon :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
29th February 2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks App anna :)

PARAMASHIVAN
29th February 2012, 11:31 PM
// Has any one seen 47 natkal?? any good ? thanks //

app_engine
29th February 2012, 11:34 PM
#305 கல்யாணமாலை கொண்டாடும் பெண்ணே
(புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள், 1989) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2968'&lang=en)

kalyANamAlai koNdAdum peNNE (puthupputhu arththangaL)

Evergreen sweetie in SPB's voice (there're brief versions by MV & IR too in the soundtrack but SPB is supposedly the voice for the lead singer character in the movie, played by Rahman). From a movie that has the notoriety of providing the setting for IR-KB rift. With terrific strings score in the prelude, the song raises goose pimples at once! As it progresses, the sweet melody and excellent rendering by SPB (azhagAna manaivi, anbAna thuNaivi, amaindhAlE pErinbamE...) melts one's hearts! The cassette was a big favourite in our bachelor home and this song was obviously the top favourite to me!

I haven't seen this movie. Neither did I watch many Rahman movies overall - simbly because his TF career mostly had non-IR movies (unlike most heroes of 80s). Perhaps PPA was his first movie with IR music. OTOH, the very first MF I saw in Kerala (kaNdu kaNdarinju) had him in a main role, along with M & M. It may be of interest to know that he was a Padmarajan find and debuted with Suhasini in her first MF, the movie being a very acclaimed 'koodevidE' (hero Mammootty).

Since human brain can do strange things, I'm not surprised that the 'kalyANa mAlai' song had somehow got wired to the first kalyANa function that I attended in interior Kerala. So, that trip often comes up in memory when I hear this song. Well, it was a memorable one - being my first ride to the beautiful Thrissur district which was filled with evergreen trees and a sweet landscape. Of course, memorable, for other reasons too :wink:

It was in a place called 'erumappatti'. (May be spelt 'erumappetti' in English :lol2: 'Patti' means dog in Malayalam i.e. male, which is also a mild swear word; true to every (un)culture, the worse word is 'nAyinda mOn' as nAy / nAya means female of patti :oops: ) It was a surprise to me when I got the invitation with this name of place since 'patti / petti' is typical to TN and not Kerala. (I think there're one or more buffalo-patti's in TN too, after all even amerikkA has the buffalo city).

I was perhaps a year old in the job / Kerala and was excited to jump into one of the 2 cars in a crowd of 10, including two "officers" to whom the groom reported to. Never a big-fan of 'pandhikku mundhu', so I ensured filling in a nice nool puttu + pAl breakfast at 7 AM, while most others started empty (nool puttu = idiyAppam). I was reading aloud all the Malayalam boards on the way during the 2 hr drive (new skill acquired at that time), much to the humor of car mates which was a Thamizh / MalayaLam mixed group.

When we reached the boy's house, it was a culture-shock to me as there was no pandhal, vAzhai etc and none at the entrance to greet us even. Also, no music or speakers. We were wondering whether to enter inside the house or not and after a few minutes, the maternal-uncle of the boy came out. Without even smiling, he informed us 'mOLil chellAmallO'. ("Let's go upstairs"). It was motta mAdi with no chairs and we were leaning / some sitting on parapet walls.

Then someone brought a stool and a whisky bottle and placed in the middle with a "dang" sound, at 9 AM :shock: (Me soup / juice ghosti at that time; since those weren't options, settled for water that came for mixing). No 'kadi' (snacks) also but only ooRukAi was available and most of the gang shamelessly drank including the senior officEzhs. By now, I was "seasoned" and was not expecting any breakfast to be served, which proved to be the case. The hunger of the gang appeared pretty obvious to me.

By 10, we drove to the huge campus where a big size church + school + hall + other buildings were located, the venue of wedding. The wedding was going on while we hung around in the campus (too crowded inside and the sight-seeing was better outside). The mAppiLLai briefly came out and informed us that the ceremony will last much longer (with the priest telling many unintelligible things in a church equivalent of Sanskrit, possibly Latin or Syrian or something). So, he politely informed that he won't be able to meet us again and begged to be excused, pointing to the same uncle to take care of the hospitality.

It was 11:30 and the gang was happy to go the dining hall as they were starving without b/f & the alcohol eating the tissues inside. It was literally a run to grab tables and get seated :-) Me and another guy got a table in one corner while the rest of the gang got seated in the other end of the hall. The food was getting served from our end. Meanwhile, I noticed some commotion in the other end, with the gang angrily getting up and rushing out :shock: Their seats were filled with other eagerly waiting guests!

Me & the guy sitting with me wondered what happened and were perplexed as to whether to get up or continue. Since food was already served, for decency's sake, we decided to finish and then find out what happened. The boy's dad was a big engineer in state gov and I thought it will be an expensive lunch. It really was, but to me that food was a disaster, 1/4 loaf of bread + chicken curry that appeared to have 90% coconut milk, big size brown rice (matta ari) to which I was still not used to, pickle-like-fish that had 'kodampuLi' which is different from the regular tamarind we are used to, and, ofcourse, "iRaichchi". iRaichchi of what? erumappatti'nA vERa enna? pOththu dhAn :lol2: The image of "adi-mAdu-buffaloes" coming in from TN on lorries came to my mind, churning the stomach! I hurriedly took a few bites of rice with the kappai-kizhangu-koottu and the meal was over in a few minutes.

The gang was angrily waiting for us two "traitors" - who continued with the food after them being shown the door. They were asked to get up and come later, to give seats to "more important guests" from the girl's family. The uncle was apologetic - "Are'nt you friends of the boy, hope you'll understand" - but the hungry-drunk group, that had the bosses of the boy, were in no mood to relent and our cars rushed out to the nearest available restaurant (chAyakkadai with a few tables).

When I saw them eating the "obviously-re-heated-previous-day's-parOttAs" as if they were seeing food for the first time in life, my TFM mind was singing "kalyANa samaiyal sAdham, kAi kaRikaLum pramAdham" :lol:

Disclaimer : This experience was an isolated one and had nothing to do with the "group" that the boy belonged to, so please don't think I'm making fun of any group

app_engine
29th February 2012, 11:45 PM
Sorry for the long post but I didn't know how to shorten the story :-(

Nerd, once again geography :oops: but I feel it will be incomplete without that...

baroque
1st March 2012, 06:16 AM
gorgeous composition, App_eng.

wonderful violin, soothing flute, chorus embellishment for Bala's caressing sindhu bhairavi voice with a trace of pathos & yearning.:musicsmile:

thanks,

Vinatha.

Divine22
1st March 2012, 09:25 AM
கல்யாணமாலை கொண்டாடும் பெண்ணே!
என் பாட்டைக் கேளு உண்மைகள் சொன்னேன்!
சுதியோடு லயம் போலவே,
இணையாகும் துணையாகும் சம்சார சங்கீதமே!
(கல்யாணமாலை)

வாலிபங்கள் ஓடும், வயதாகக்கூடும்,
ஆனாலும் அன்பு மாறாதது!
மாலையிடும் சொந்தம், முடிபோட்ட பந்தம்,
பிரிவென்னும் சொல்லே அறியாதது!
அழகான மனைவி, அன்பான துணைவி
அமைந்தாலே பேரின்பமே!
மடிமீது துயில சரசங்கள் பயில
மோகங்கள் ஆரம்பமே!
நல்ல மனையாளின் நேசம் ஒரு கோடி!
நெஞ்சம் எனும் வீணை பாடுமே தோடி!
சந்தோஷ சாம்ராஜ்யமே!
(கல்யாணமாலை)

கூவுகின்ற குயிலைக் கூட்டுக்குள் வைத்து,
பாடென்று சொன்னால் பாடாதம்மா!
தோகை மயில் தன்னைச் சிறை வைத்துப் பூட்டி,
ஆடென்று சொன்னால் ஆடாதம்மா!
நாள்தோறும் ரசிகன், பாராட்டும் கலைஞன்,
காவல்கள் எனக்கில்லையே!
சோகங்கள் எனக்கும், நெஞ்சோடு இருக்கும்,
சிரிக்காத நாளில்லையே!
துக்கம் சில நேரம் பொங்கி வரும்போதும்
மக்கள் மனம் போலே பாடுவேன் கண்ணே!
என் சோகம் என்னோடுதான்!
(கல்யாணமாலை)

Azhagaana paadal varigal by Vali :bow:

kuyil,mayil, koondu, aadu, sounds vr familiar with another sad song frm Chinna Thambi.. Was it written by Vaali too ?

rajkumarc
1st March 2012, 11:42 AM
App - Belated wishes for the 300th song. Your contributions cannot be just praised by words. Lucky to have been active in the hub when this thread took flight.

Kalyana Maalai - That starting string section in prelude alone is just to enough to bring all sort of emotions in me, just Goosebump stuff that one. SPB's singing is top notch, the yearning in his voice expressing a tinge of sadness, only he can bring out. Waiting for your posts on the other songs in this movie. I think all of them were quite popular.

groucho070
1st March 2012, 12:11 PM
Since food was already served, for decency's sake, we decided to finish and then find out what happened. [/I]:lol: Kadamai, kanniyam, kattupAdu.

So, they do eat pOtthu over there, don't they? Used to hear about it from my relatives.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st March 2012, 03:53 PM
excellent rendering by SPB (azhagAna manaivi, anbAna thuNaivi, amaindhAlE pErinbamE...) melts one's hearts!
Very true, I feel the same.

Then someone brought a stool and a whisky bottle and placed in the middle with a "dang" sound, at 9 AM :shock:

:rotfl: KalaiyilE aarambichutangala , that too without any snacks. Poor Liver!

app_engine
1st March 2012, 08:29 PM
baroque,
nal varavu :-)

Divine22,
nanRi for the lyrics...if you closely look at the lAAAAng story posted by me, there's some relationship to the "failed expectations" of the couple in that song to the "failed expectations" of the gang that went to the wedding :lol2:

rajkumarc,
ungaL anbAna vArththaikaLukku mikka nanRi! I wouldn't have possibly had the motivation to keep posting but for the wonderful feedback in this thread. However, the obvious & primary driver is the gratitude towards IR & SPB who enriched our lives with wonderful music / soulful singing!

groucho,
:lol: thanks to your KKK comment.

Param,
One thing I've observed with liquor is the very sight of it could drive extremely balanced / decent / moral people crazy! This is under various settings / cultural backgrounds / groups etc.

That is why Sivakumar's performance in Sindhubhairavi got much better appreciated during my very recent watches.

app_engine
1st March 2012, 08:45 PM
There are two versions of kalyANa mAlai on youtube...I don't know which one is from the movie and which is the one reworked by youtube-enthusiast :

Looks like this one is authentic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JJIuo4pEo

This may be the tweaked one (that has rAsA singing, Sithara etc):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VchhlBn9wjg

V_S
1st March 2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks App for wonderful post on Kalyana Malai mixed with your bachelor time memories. This is one song where we can give everything to SPB. SoththayE ezhuthi koduthadalaam.:smile: Even trained classical singers and professionals of today should learn the bhavam, layam (whatever you call it) from SPB through this song. A perfect composition in every respect, either be the tune, singing, mood or visuals all take it to a level, no one can reach. More than admiring SPB's singing, this is one song where everyone want to atleast try a hand in singing. Singing this song and relishing within us and admiring the beauty of every note and lyric is another dimension which no other song can give. My biggest complaint (sorry for repeating) in most of today's composition is we are mere spectators when it comes to listening to a song, in spite of it having all the best musical ideas (IMHO). I cannot even try singing those songs, as there are lot of breaks here and there with no flow, and we cannot feel and relish singing it. Even if I try I can go to a maximum extent of finishing the pallavi, that's it. Still this song is fresh like a dew after twenty years and will remain as such. Lifetime composition, singing and visuals by the greats!

Bala (Karthik)
1st March 2012, 09:12 PM
Since food was already served, for decency's sake, we decided to finish and then find out what happened. [/I]
Neenga namma settu :live to eat:

PARAMASHIVAN
1st March 2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks App for wonderful post on Kalyana Malai mixed with your bachelor time memories. This is one song where we can give everything to SPB. SoththayE ezhuthi koduthadalaam.:smile: Even trained classical singers and professionals of today should learn the bhavam, layam (whatever you call it) from SPB through this song. A perfect composition in every respect, either be the tune, singing, mood or visuals all take it to a level, no one can reach. More than admiring SPB's singing, this is one song where everyone want to atleast try a hand in singing. Singing this song and relishing within us and admiring the beauty of every note and lyric is another dimension which no other song can give. My biggest complaint (sorry for repeating) in most of today's composition is we are mere spectators when it comes to listening to a song, in spite of it having all the best musical ideas (IMHO). I cannot even try singing those songs, as there are lot of breaks here and there with no flow, and we cannot feel and relish singing it. Even if I try I can go to a maximum extent of finishing the pallavi, that's it. Still this song is fresh like a dew after twenty years and will remain as such. Lifetime composition, singing and visuals by the greats!

Very well said V_S sir

SPB emotes the "Navarasams" like how NT does with his acting skills. This is why SPB is regarding as "Padagar Thilagam". I was a kid when I heard this song, This was the year we migrated to UK from Eezham. Even though SPB become a formidable force in the 70's ,my amma used to play mainly Dr.SG and TMS songs mainly, that too from Radio Ceylon.

My mum was a Carnatic singer those days, and her brothers were Mirudungam, Violin, Harmonium professionals. This was one of the SPB songs I thrive for frequently! I used to sing this Along with Shankaraparanam songs very often.

Sorry, If I have bored any one with my personal background .

PARAMASHIVAN
1st March 2012, 09:57 PM
Param,
One thing I've observed with liquor is the very sight of it could drive extremely balanced / decent / moral people crazy! This is under various settings / cultural backgrounds / groups etc.

That is why Sivakumar's performance in Sindhubhairavi got much better appreciated during my very recent watches.

I understand , when one is under the influence of liquor , they speak the truth regardless of the consequences!

app_engine
1st March 2012, 10:44 PM
I understand , when one is under the influence of liquor , they speak the truth regardless of the consequences!

Not totally correct, people lose some inhibition - that's all. Depending upon the level of booze, some amukki vachchirundha vishayams can come out.

However, the basic nature doesn't change a lot, in my observation. I've seen tons of people who continue to deliberately speak untruth - make up stories etc, even after 3 or 4 large :-)

Recently me & hubby of sis were having glenlivet, with my wife & sis doing chores in the kitchen.

My wife : Looks like you're talking too much, konjam overdose mAthiri theriyudhu
Me : hEh, I've still not started talking in 100% Malayalam (which is indication that "I must stop now")...also, my brain is sharp.

To prove I'm sober / stable, I recited 'thuppArrkkuth thuppAya"...kuRaL

My wife : 6-Am classla padichchadha recite paNRadhu enna piramAtham? KD-yellAm full thaNNila sondhamAvE eththanai pAttu ezhudhi irukkAr theriyumA?

:lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
1st March 2012, 10:52 PM
My wife : Looks like you're talking too much, konjam overdose mAthiri theriyudhu
Me : hEh, I've still not started talking in 100% Malayalam (which is indication that "I must stop now")...also, my brain is sharp.

To prove I'm sober / stable, I recited 'thuppArrkkuth thuppAya"...kuRaL

My wife : 6-Am classla padichchadha recite paNRadhu enna piramAtham? KD-yellAm full thaNNila sondhamAvE eththanai pAttu ezhudhi irukkAr theriyumA?

:lol2: :rotfl:

PARAMASHIVAN
1st March 2012, 10:55 PM
Not totally correct, people lose some inhibition - that's all. Depending upon the level of booze, some amukki vachchirundha vishayams can come out.

However, the basic nature doesn't change a lot, in my observation. I've seen tons of people who continue to deliberately speak untruth - make up stories etc, even after 3 or 4 large

I supoose it varies from individuals to individuals :)

kiru
1st March 2012, 11:48 PM
:rotfl:

yup :rotfl: too here.. App should produce/direct a movie .. he has lots of material.

app_engine
2nd March 2012, 12:09 AM
why this kolaveRi, kiru sArE :-)

namma mooladhanam ellAm only "store & replay" :-) Not much useful in creative fields IMO.

app_engine
2nd March 2012, 12:19 AM
nanRi, V_Sji!

Even trained classical singers and professionals of today should learn the bhavam, ...from SPB through this song.

I have difficulty appreciating 'feelings' in most performances of ICM singers, while their singing capabilities are incredible / remarkable and can stun me, put me in awe.

OTOH, "feelings" (aka strong emotions) can easily be evoked by instrumentals (ICM or WCM), apart from movie songs :-)

B(K),

app_engine
2nd March 2012, 12:24 AM
I supoose it varies from individuals to individuals :)

In other words, it typically "degenerates" and takes away some good qualities.

Very rarely it "improves" qualities (like uNmai mattum pEsudhal etc)...

V_S
2nd March 2012, 12:35 AM
I have difficulty appreciating 'feelings' in most performances of ICM singers, while their singing capabilities are incredible / remarkable and can stun me, put me in awe.

OTOH, "feelings" (aka strong emotions) can easily be evoked by instrumentals (ICM or WCM), apart from movie songs
Exactly App! :thumbsup: This is what I have been telling to many of relatives who are hard-core carnatic classical fanatics. I can listen to those legends starting from Ariyakudi, Madurai Mani Iyer, MDR, up to T N Seshagopalan generation, but not beyond that. The current generation of singers have lot of singing talent as you mentioned, that's about it, but I cannot go closer to God (as most of the songs are about God). By their singing, as I believe that should be the main focus of their singing, taking us closer to what it is meant to. I can only appreciate their singing, nothing else. Yes as you told correctly, classical instrumentals can take us there, as we have tremendous talent in that area.

app_engine
2nd March 2012, 01:52 AM
#306 குருவாயூரப்பா குருவாயூரப்பா
(புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள், 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2967'&lang=en)

guruvAyoorappA of PPA, with KSC

Delightful and sweet duet that possibly featured Sithara. From the youtube above, PPA is supposedly her 'aRimugam' in TF but she was in MF a little earlier I think. Also, I'm not sure which one got released first - whether PPA or puthu vasantham. I've watched PV in theater those days and liked the movie / music (SAR's 'pAttu onnu nAn pAdattumA'). I also remember seeing her in Guru (MF) -the movie that had one of the top-10-scores of IR. IIRC, she is on-screen for the 'guru saraNam' song ; if that's right, she easily gets into a list of 'bhAgyavathees' that showed their faces for some incredible IR compositions!

KSC & SPB are in stiff competition here for top spot and SPB wins by a whisker thanks to his experience. That "guruvAyoor---apppA" split giving him an undue advantage, enna oru kuRumbu! (I wonder what SJ would have done to beat him, if she was asked to do this number). rAsA is not far behind either - with that terrific flute prelude and characteristic saraNam ending! However, he deliberately let the singers take upper hand in this song - sticking to his "tested-and-tried", signature kind of arrangements. Overall, it had catchiness and hit material packed right from the start and the melody holds good even after decades, for a yearning listen!

There's no fun if I don't write about guruvayoor when posting this song. Fortunately for hubbers, I had never been there but only read about in news reports (such as JJ gifting an elephant to the temple etc). (http://aswathibabu.blogspot.com/2009/02/jayalalithas-krishna.html) However, I had been to places close by - Thrissur, KunnamkuLam, PattAmbi...AhA, PattAmbi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattambi), the place decorated by Bharathappuzha - one of the most beautiful rivers that I've ever seen!

The river that had been told as a major inspiration for M T Vasudevan Nair for his literary works. PattAmbi wiki says :

River Bharathappuzha flows through Pattambi and the nearby Panchayats. Renowned writers such as M.T. Vasudevan Nair and Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri have been influenced by the Nila River's beauty.
I was privileged to sit and watch the river in it's complete beauty on a fantastic sunny day, after attending the marriage of a co-worker in his home which was in a walkable distance from this! My view was very similar to this picture on wiki:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Nila_Nadhi.jpg/792px-Nila_Nadhi.jpg

Well, this wedding was a totally opposite story (i.e. from the erumappatti kadhai)! For some time, I was like Tenali Raman's cat (once bitten thingy) after the first experience. Generally avoided travelling for weddings to Kerala interiors for "less-known" co-workers. Attended if they were local, otherwise contribute an amount when the "collection paper" gets circulated and don't bother much:-) But this was a close guy and hence undertook the bus travel to reach Pattambi and then jeep travel among small hills / rubber estates to reach his beautiful home surrounded by rubber trees and close to the puzha! What a beautiful sight it was!

Since the objective of the visit was to enjoy and be happy, I carefully took 'virundhu' out of my mind:-) It was a 'namboothiri' marriage - the ceremonies supposedly running for days - so, we didn't worry much about the groom & bride except for a brief handshake but roamed around the home and had lively conversations with co-workers / friends. I was expecting the worst when we were seated for lunch with vAzhai ilai and made to wait for a few minutes. It was an unusual wait and I was wondering why. Then it started!

During school days, we walked a few miles to go to a nearby village railway station to watch the first trip of Vaigai express and I was amazed at the 100 kmph speed with the dhadak-dhadak sound, standing mesmerized! There was a similar experience in this virundhu when the express train of servers started! The most remarkable thing was their loudly telling EACH AND EVERY PERSON what is being served! (neyyu, neyyu, neyyu, chORu, chORu, chORu etc)!

Looking back, their serving can be compared to Monica Seles playing a clay court game (the rasaththinu sORu, rasaththinu sORu, rasaththinu sORu like her grunts)! It was a fabulous lunch, the best serving ever seen (similar precision I've not seen even in USA) and a phenomenally tasty meal - with adapradhaman & pazhapradhaman delicious!

It was after the lunch that we walked to the river and spent almost an hour enjoying the rammiyam! It was an unforgettable wedding and a memorable day in life!

genesis
2nd March 2012, 07:46 AM
#305 கல்யாணமாலை கொண்டாடும் பெண்ணே
(புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள், 1989) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2968'&lang=en)
I haven't seen this movie. Neither did I watch many Rahman movies overall - simbly because his TF career mostly had non-IR movies (unlike most heroes of 80s).

ராசாவை கேட்டு விசுவை மறந்தோம், திலீப்பை கேட்டு ராசாவை மறந்தோம் (Second part applicable only to me, not for app_engine)

I am not sure whether Raghuman's first movie is Nilave Malare or Kanne kaniyamude. Both movies had some beautiful melodies from MSV. My favourite is "Ninnaiye Radhiyendru", Bharathiyar's lyrics set to tune by MSV and sung by KJY.

By the way, don't miss the beautiful Amala :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxazVUBardM

groucho070
2nd March 2012, 07:58 AM
I understand , when one is under the influence of liquor , they speak the truth regardless of the consequences!I should know better. The more innocent, gullible not too educated types tend to speaketh the truth. Manasula ullatha appadiyE kottiduvAngga. The more educated, shrewd type usually would use the opportunity to brag. The in-between usually take the opportunity to b.s. More often than not, when drinking guys tend to talk about drinking, how the other day they had too much, or how that particular drink made them high too fast, etc etc. In my case, with my brother, it's movies and politics, 70% usually about Kamal/Rajini and my brother would interject the conversation with updates on ARR. Tanni adichu cinema patti pesurathu oru tani sugam....

baroque
2nd March 2012, 10:48 AM
Guruvaayoorappa....:-D

listen to that piano, flute prelude set the playfulness, Bala in flirtatious mood, Raja get silly in his second interlude too.:-D

Chithra as usual sweet.

Smooth & emotive S.P.B, amazing range & resonance & bass of Yesudas etc... are gifts to Ilayaraja's compositions.

Raja compositions deserve them.

no praises are enough... just enjoy, be grateful!:ty:

vinatha.

Plum
2nd March 2012, 11:05 AM
1.Nilava Malare is the answer 2. App - unga erumapatti story could have made it to a pandiarajan movie in the 80s. No offence, but I think PR would make a good choice for your role in the situation you outlined :) - so yes, if not director, you can be creative consultant or story idea board chairman 3. Raghuman brings back traumatic memories of Nadhiya - anbulla appa in particular so please go easy on Raghuman references :)

Plum
2nd March 2012, 11:07 AM
4. App, the actress in guruvayoorappa is not Sithara but Geetha Iyengar

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 03:10 PM
yup :rotfl: too here.. App should produce/direct a movie .. he has lots of material.

Yes he would make a Perfect script writer :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 03:15 PM
4. App, the actress in guruvayoorappa is not Sithara but Geetha Iyengar

IIRC Chithara was rehman's wife :roll:

groucho070
2nd March 2012, 03:18 PM
Geetha = possessive wife. Sithara, the relief in his life.

groucho070
2nd March 2012, 03:20 PM
Kinda like remake of Sindhu Bhairavi ain't it. Hmm.....

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 03:26 PM
I should know better. The more innocent, gullible not too educated types tend to speaketh the truth. Manasula ullatha appadiyE kottiduvAngga. The more educated, shrewd type usually would use the opportunity to brag. The in-between usually take the opportunity to b.s. More often than not, when drinking guys tend to talk about drinking, how the other day they had too much, or how that particular drink made them high too fast, etc etc. In my case, with my brother, it's movies and politics, 70% usually about Kamal/Rajini and my brother would interject the conversation with updates on ARR. Tanni adichu cinema patti pesurathu oru tani sugam....

:shock: amongst our friends , it is all ways about Ex/current Girlfriends and When I am involved a high dosage of Philosophy :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 03:26 PM
Geetha = possessive wife. Sithara, the relief in his life.

Which one would you prefer ? :lol2:

groucho070
2nd March 2012, 03:36 PM
Geetha with shotgun at close range. Sithara at least two minutes head start.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 03:37 PM
Geetha with shotgun at close range. Sithara at least two minutes head start.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 05:55 PM
Kinda like remake of Sindhu Bhairavi ain't it. Hmm.....

Not really? In SB Sulakshana was kind of "gyna sooniyum" as in no interest or knowledge in music. in PPA it is kind of different

app_engine
2nd March 2012, 08:36 PM
Raghuman

BTW, Plum, why offence? PR was a brilliant, enjoyable performer in almost all movies I saw him :-)

I'm glad you took the time to read the long story - mikka nanRi!

actress in guruvayoorappa is not Sithara

:oops:

Does Sithara have any song at all in the movie? (I'll have to check-out the other youtubes later today)...

groucho,
:rotfl: on your comments on heroinees...

BTW, yes, it's fun to alasify movies / TFM after some liquor. During late 90's, every visit to "Fort Palace" bar in Palakkad (with colleagues, at least 3 -4 times a year, strictly when the family was away) ended with min one hour loud talking in the parking lot on IR-ARR; i.e. after at least an hour on the same topic inside the bar :-)

V_S
2nd March 2012, 09:05 PM
Does Sithara have any song at all in the movie?
Of course, but surprisingly that is an inimitable SPB solo 'KEladi Kanmani'. The music which expresses freedom in both of them. Another fun song 'EllOrum Maavaata Kathukidanum' which again involves both Raghuman and Sithara.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 09:16 PM
I am surprised to see many referes Rahman as Raghuman, he is a Malayalee Muslim guy. The name is Rahman, in the Intial stages of ARR entry in TFM, many used to call him A.R.Raguman, when in fact it was Rehman!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahman_(actor)

genesis
2nd March 2012, 09:23 PM
I am surprised to see many referes Rahman as Raghuman, he is a Malayalee Muslim guy. The name is Rahman, in the Intial stages of ARR entry in TFM, many used to call him A.R.Raguman, when in fact it was Rehman!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahman_(actor)

In 1980s Tamil movies, he is credited as "ரகுமான்" - so it is Raghuman in Tamil.

More over, we Tamils are proud at not able to pronounce Sanskrit sounds like "sha", 'ha", "bha", "kru", "jha" etc... so we replace them with nearest sounding letters.

For a purist, it will be "இரகுமான்" or Rakuman (Someone with better knowledge in Tamil Grammar correct me if I am wrong).

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2012, 10:08 PM
More over, we Tamils are proud at not able to pronounce Sanskrit sounds like "sha", 'ha", "bha", "kru", "jha" etc... so we replace them with nearest sounding letters.

Sorry You got me wrong :) I am not Debating about Tamil Vs Sanskrit.

Besides, the name "Rahman" is of Arabic/Babylonian/Persion Origin. IMHO I feel any non Tamizh names should be pronounced in it's authenticity. Eg The way English words are pronounced in Thamizh like eg Australia as Avusthralia :lol2:

Any way, just my humble opinion , No offence meant :)

app_engine
2nd March 2012, 10:28 PM
#307 கேளடி கண்மணி
(புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள், 1989) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2970'&lang=en)

kELadi kaNmaNi (song, not the movie)

SPB special.

Enough said.

It was around the time when this cassette was playing the most at our bachelor home, we had a Thrissur trip to attend another co-worker's marriage. This is the third unusual marriage attendance for me. It was early-1990 I think (or last part of 1989) and we rode four 100cc's at terrific speed (me in my new Kawasaki being one of the drivers) to reach the maNdapam located on the "circle".

Any who visited this 4th biggest town in Kerala (after Kochi, Kozhikkode & Thiruvananthapuram) must be familiar with the beautiful circle in the heart of the town. There's an elevated, almost hill-like ground in the inner part of this huge circle. That's where a temple is located which is the venue of 'pooram' festival that showcases lot of elephants each year. Very picturesque place, with all kinds of shops / businesses located on the other side of the road-around-the-circle.

By the time we reached the hall, the marriage was almost over and we stood in the line to meet the couple on stage and greet them. The groom was a very brilliant chap, silent most of the time but when he speaks, sharp answers! Terror to bosses as they will be given 'on-the-face' answers to their stupid questions (which was mostly the case)...he was almost total grey at the time of marriage though still in late-20's or may be early-30's. Well, in total, he was one of my fav co-workers!

It was around 11 and the typical 'crowd-watching' was going on and food was not so much in the mind of any of us. By this time, I've started enjoying the matta ari / nEnthram chips / adapradhaman etc and would have thoroughly relished the meal that day. However, the gang had different plans and I had to comply with the crowd. The decision by the "leader" (the friend whose Hero Honda was the training bike of us all, as mentioned in an old post) was to go across the circle to a nice b-c-r :-)

So, the bikes roared around the circle to reach the white painted bar-cum-restaurant, as the unanimous decision was to enjoy kingfisher on that hot day in that sweaty town. If someone had suggested that I would do such a thing (bar-ring when attending a wedding) a couple of years back, I could have fainted. What a fast change in lifestyle! Perhaps the first time for me to skip a vivAha sadya (http://navy-blue-jeans.blogspot.com/2011/06/art-of-tackling-vivaha-sadya.html)(interesting blog post in this link) to go to beer, right in the middle of the day :shock:

Well, we all had a terrific session, great food and a "high-risk-high-speed" ride back on the highway :oops:

There's a sad end to this story (much like the mild sad feeling one gets when listening to this song). That brillant chap left our org shortly thereafter. One of my teammates was closer to him and was in touch with him afterwards too and kept us updated as to his life events.

His family life was happy. They had a child. On one day he, wife and child happily went to bed. His heart failed and he didn't wake up in the morning :cry:

V_S
2nd March 2012, 11:23 PM
Great post App!. Thanks for the vivAha sadya article. Nice look back on our tradition. Mouth-watering delicacies!. But all that killed, reading your last statement, very sad news. :sad:

V_S
2nd March 2012, 11:33 PM
Coming to the song, it is one of Vaali sir's greatest varigaL.:notworthy: Idhai paadum pOthu unarum sugamE thani.

என்னாளும் தானே தேன் விருந்தாவது
பிறர்க்காக நான் பாடும் திரைப் பாடல்தான்
இன்னாளில் தானே நான் இசைத்தேனம்மா
எனக்காக நான் பாடும் முதல் பாடல்தான்
கானல் நீரால் தீராத தாகம்
கங்கை நீரால் தீர்ந்ததடி
கால்போன பாதைகள் நான் போனபோது
கைசேர்த்து நீதானே மெய் சேர்த்த மாது

நீங்காத பாரம் என் நெஞ்சோடுதான்
நான் தேடும் சுமைதாங்கி நீயல்லவா
நான் வாடும் நேரம் உன் மார்போடுதான்
நீ என்னைத் தாலாட்டும் தாய் அல்லவா
ஏதோ ஏதோ ஆனந்த ராகம்
உன்னால் தானே உண்டானது
நான் போட்ட பூமாலை மணம் சேர்க்கவில்லை
நீதானே எனக்காக மடல் பூத்த முல்லை

Indha maadhiri situation’laam only KB sir possible. Every situation will not be a normal one as we normally see in films. :wink: A director who has the best musical taste ever in films and conceives best ideas for its situation. Even with mediocre music directors, you can expect the best from them, just because of KB and his unique situations. Not just the tunes, the lyrics in all his film songs are exemplary and is a perfect match to the situation. Everytime time these three works like a magic in all his films. Another unique aspect I observed in some of his films is the way the film starts is exactly the way it ends, like a musical Coda. It will start in a happy/normal fashion, will have some confusions/losses in between which will alter the happy mood, which will be sorted out towards the end and the film will end the way it started. Some examples; Puthu Puthu ArthangaL, Aval Oru Thodarkathai, Manathil Urudhi VEndhum, Sindhu Bhairavi, Aboorva RaagangaL, Bhama Vijayam, Server Sundaram and few more.

app_engine
2nd March 2012, 11:52 PM
nanRi, V_Sji!

very sad news

We got shocked simply by hearing that news!

However, just imagine the condition of his wife - who lazily woke up in the morning to shake her husband 'hey, wake up, it's getting late' :shock:

ennamO "low BP"-yAmAm, what a silent killer :-(

app_engine
2nd March 2012, 11:58 PM
V_Sji,

I often struggle with the plagiarism issue raised for this number ('sO gayA' of tEzAb that came a year earlier)...why why why?

V_S
3rd March 2012, 01:33 AM
I can't imagine the situation of your friend's wife. God is cruel sometimes.

This song not even has an inch of plagiarism. People tend to put 'plagiarism' brand for any song, just by the first line match. A song can be called plagiarism, if it has atleast 50-60% close match (imitation) to the original, IMHO. If a song has only resemblance to the first line of pallavi, I don't know how we can call it that way. For example; this song has close match only in the first pallavi line, after that, right from anu-pallavi it takes entirely different route. And we still have 4-5 minutes of the song left. Does sO gayA closely match to the rest of the song? It is totally different. There are four important aspects we need to see.

1. Some (http://www.jointscene.com/movies/kollywood/Pudhu%20Pudhu%20Arthangal/2283) sites say the release date of PPA is Jan-01-1989. Tezaab was released in November 1988. So there is a possibility that IR worked on the song around atleast 3 months before the release of the film, which dates before Tezaab's release (assuming they released tezaab's audio a month before that is in Oct. 1988). If this is true, there is no chance that he heard that song when he was composing for PPA.

2. Even if he had heard, he may want to give an answer to that song (as it was popular) by taking it's first line and conceiving it in his own way to give listeners his version of the song. So it might be intentional too.

3. It may be co-incidental too.

4. If all the above three statements are false, again only the first line of pallavi has that close match, after that there is no relation at all, whatsoever. How this can be called plagiarism?

app_engine
3rd March 2012, 01:58 AM
V_S,

As per the IR-KB rift legend:
- PPA was supposed to be a deepAvaLi release.
- Since IR gave other projects his dates and KB couldn't get his time for BGM, they did some old BGM copy stuff which was the cause for rift.

I don't know which deepAvaLi, was it the 1988 one or 1989 one? :confused:

About the 'only-the-first-line-of-pallavi' thing, there are many hubbers who stick to the view that pallavi melody is the most important part of any film song (catchy, reason for hit etc) :-) While I don't agree to that viewpoint, we got to handle such claims too :oops:

Most of rAsA copies that itwofs lists, that way, are only 1% or less of the song's content.

e.g. kaN malarkaLin azhaippidhazh, look at what they say :

Inspired from ABBA's Money money money

Just the beginning of the song.

Also, look at darling darling darling :

Inspired from Boney M's number, Sunny

Again, just the beginning.

There are people who cite these examples and say 'thuLi visham' kind of thingy :-(

Anyways, just some 'soththakkadalai' feeling to me when someone brings such things up...

baroque
3rd March 2012, 03:44 AM
very sad, app_eng :(
life is uncertain!

vinatha.

baroque
3rd March 2012, 03:56 AM
What a great composition from Ilayaraja with SPB!

Raja did showcase his orchestral prowess in this composition.

Listen to the second interlude.

continuous guitar strumming, beautiful violin, second interlude is my favorite- gloomy wind instrument-guitar strumming counterpoint, chorus pattukku paattu for SPB's vocals.

BEAUTIFUL!

there is no vocabulary to express our appreciation about this composition!

music, lyrics, singing, director's situation imagination - joy of present company & the pathos of his marriage disappointment! :thumbsup:

Ever since I knew the song for decades +, my manasu automatically thinks of S.P.B's wife & thank her, app_eng :)

Please don't think as silly.

Over the yrs of listening to him day in & day out, we are emotionally closer to him. We wish him well. God bless his wife for taking care of our legend with love & care so that he can deliver us such beauties, takes care of our emotional needs.:ty:

Very emotional composition for us delivered with such ease by BALA! ONLY Bala possible!

IR and SPB, THE GREATEST LEGENDS EVER WALKED ON THIS PLANET!

Vinatha.

Plum
3rd March 2012, 09:16 AM
So gaya seems to be more of coincidence - pudhumaappillaikku-naan parthadhile level kooda illai. Few years back airtel theme is copied from "muthu muthu vilakku"-nu oru discussion nadandhadhu - adhula more than 1 phrase similarA irukkum. Permut-Combin-la oru chinna phrase kooda coincide aagadhaa? I don't remember the song but MSV once said about how he went to a hindi movie of SDB and to his shock, the tune of one song was very similar to an upcoming song of his. He swore to God it was a coincidence. It happens and this is what gives fans of lesser MDs to take a potshot at our own trinity and say "unga msvyum veda mAdhiri dhan pOla, Rajavum deva mAdhiri dhan pOla, Rahmanum jayaraj Maadhiri dhaan pola!" in glee. The ordinary is always looking for opps to equate the excellent with themselves...that's human nature.

Plum
3rd March 2012, 09:18 AM
More trivia App: you know what, your favourite Anand-Milind lifted this very song as "Chandni Raat hai tu mere saat hai" in a salman gaan movie. Since it was Salman Gaan, it is possible SpB sung that one too. Not sure if SPB reported that back to Raja or admonished A-M for that. I amsure faramu will know about the song :)

Murali Srinivas
3rd March 2012, 11:40 PM
app & V_S,

PPA was released on Deepavali day of 1989 along with Vetri Vizhaa, Mappillai etc.

btw, congrats app for triple century!

Regards

V_S
3rd March 2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks Murali sir for confirmation.:smile:

app_engine
4th March 2012, 06:53 AM
your favourite Anand-Milind

:shock:

idhu umakkE nyAyamA irukkA?

However, I still stand by QSQT as one of the finest albums ever in IFM :-) Take the saraNam rhythm arrangement for gazan kA hai din, for e.g. One of the finest ever! (For that QSQT album, I don't care where A-M looted them from...also, I don't worry about all those looted IR stuff, avangaLala mudinja aLavukku kalaichchEvai seidhirukkAnga :wink:)

app_engine
4th March 2012, 06:55 AM
very sad, app_eng :(
life is uncertain!

vinatha.

Very true!

That's why one should do whatever good they can do, ASAP (thaththuvam #1) :-)

app_engine
4th March 2012, 06:58 AM
nanRi Murali sir, for the thakaval & your kind wishes!

Couldn't write on 'eduththu nAn vidavA' today...As usual, the weekend backlog thingy:-(

Will try to clear the backlog when possible...However, raaga_kann has hosted 'eduththu nAn vidavA' in the IR-sung-duets thread yesterday :-)

app_engine
4th March 2012, 07:07 AM
One interesting thing I caught today when playing the SPB -LM - Kamal - KB Hindi song 'hum banE tum banE ek dujE kE liyE', a song I always loved despite some comical things (Bala's englees, the 'kow-kow' qurbAni sound).

Though many praise 'terE mErE beech mEin', it was not that much of a fav with me with it's screechy violins, typical L-P / northie stuff. However, for some reason, I loved the prelude of hum banE and used to love that string stuff before the singer starts.

Today it hit me - that prelude portion is exactly similar to 'iLankiLiyE' of sankarlal, SPB-SJ-IR-KH-SD sweetie. (This too has the englees comedy, plus Kamal connection - I'm more or less sure the 'made for each other' song had some inputs to L-P from the souththu).

hum banE tum banE youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jt-pUq2xag

iLangiLiyE youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0a_ep4xGhE

app_engine
5th March 2012, 03:23 AM
#308 எடுத்து நான் விடவா என் பாட்டை தோழா?
(புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள், 1989 , இளையராஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2965'&lang=en)

eduththu nAn vidavA (PPA, with IR)

It's interesting that we had to cross three centuries (# of songs) & > a decade (13 calendar years) before hitting a song sung by both the thread nAyakarkaL :-) rAsA had really been careful not to co-sing with SPB, it appears :wink: In comparison, he had sung with even KJY much earlier (kadalOram kadalOram shoud have been at least 5 years prior). In any case, this song is for comical purposes and just an average number (both musically and "hit status" wise).

raaga_kann has recently covered this song in detail in the IR duets thread (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9369-Raaja-s-magical-duets-YEriyile-Elantha-Maram-(Karaiyellaam-Shenbagapoo)&p=823591&viewfull=1#post823591):-)

I was debating with myself whether this song deserves a story :roll: and then decided yes, simply because it is the first we host of both the nAyaks singing...

It has to be a comical one, involving two boys and thus our "room mate friends" now make a come back to the thread (the bulky restless one & the lean, artist, lazy guy).

When they stayed in the "downtown", they always had the 'lazy-guy-losing-the-nav-tal-key' problem.('nav-tal' was the padlock sold by godrej brand those days).
http://www.godrejlocks.com/godrej/GodrejLocks/CategoryImages/SmallImages/Nav-tal.jpg
Though each occasion used to start a fight over the issue, typically it was my team lead and not the artist who suffered the most. And each occasion was a tale of difficulty, tension and frayed nerves for him. One occasion was especially interesting, when both were about to leave for a few holidays (deepAvaLi?). They had changed the lock only recently and the artist was reminded many times not to lose the key and take it with him during the travel.

Holidays were over and late on the Sunday night, our 'restless friend' reached back the room - after a long bus travel, ready to hit the bed. Well, in the dark, he tried to open the lock and it didn't work. Tried a few times the key and was shocked to learn that his friend had changed the lock before he left for holidays. (Lost the key, bought another and locked the room - simple, know :lol:)

Our friend couldn't find a tool to cut / break and no shop was open that late. So, he walked to the nearby hotel, paid the cost of some 10 locks as room rent and slept for the night. After getting freshened up in the morning, rushed to the room to get some important things before catching the bus for workplace. When entering the corridor, what he saw made him really mad - his dear room mate was 'hacksaw blading' the new lock, since he left the keys back home :rotfl:

Well, they had later placed that hacksaw permanently on the ventilator above the door...just in case...

app_engine
5th March 2012, 03:46 AM
#309 எல்லோரும் மாவாட்டக்கத்துக்கிடனும்
(புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள், 1989 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2966'&lang=en)

ellOrum mAvAtta (PPA, with SPS)

Not that much of a personal favourite, just an average number with 'mAmAvukku kudumA kudumA' kind of feel with slightly inferior arrangements. However, surprisingly, this song too had its airtime / buscast time etc and even at the bachelor home people listened to this number without much complain.

So, I'm getting this recorded in the list...the fifth SPB number from this KB movie. In other words, all the SPB numbers from this movie had their time - some quite a lot and are evergreen (the first three that we've covered) and others only limited appeal, that too only around the time of arrival (eduththu nAn & ellOrum mAvAtta). That way, this album cannot be compared with some of the "100%-IR-SPB-hit" albums of the same time period, in which it wasn't easy to spot very weak numbers like these. Sometimes, oppukku sappANi numbers too had their glory (like the 12th man who never had to even field but still gets to touch the trophy after the win, in an one-day tourney) ...

app_engine
5th March 2012, 03:52 AM
PPA is done now and Monday should have another movie from 1989 :-)

groucho070
5th March 2012, 06:27 AM
app :lol: on the lock incident. Seriously, I agree with others, there's a good movie, a comedy, script in there.

app_engine
5th March 2012, 07:13 AM
groucho,

Sometimes real life incidents are as hilarious as or more than what we read / watch on screen :-)

BTW, please check out that iLankiLiyE youtube, Kamal actually throws away Sridevi - flings her - at 1:00 - 1:03 :shock:

app_engine
5th March 2012, 07:16 AM
Also, there's a milli second lip kiss at 0:57 :wink: Sridevi is really wild in this number :shock:

I'm not sure whether I'm a loner in finding the similarity between the preludes of both the Kamal songs...

venkkiram
5th March 2012, 07:23 AM
பாலச்சந்தர் - ராஜா கூட்டணியில் பிறந்த பாடல்கள் - எனது வரிசை

1) Sindu Bairavi (All*)

2) Punnagai Mannan (Enna Satham, Singalathu Chinnakuyile, Kavidhai Kelungal, Ethetho Ennam, Maamavukku Kuduma, Theme Music)

3) Unnal mudiyum thambi (All*)

4) Manathil Uruthi VeNdum - (Manathil Uruthi, Kannin Maniya, Kanna Varuvana, Sangathamizh Kavi, Vangala Kadale )

5) Puthu Puthu Arthangal (Guruvaurappa Guruvaurappa, Kalyana Maalai, Keladi Kanmani Paadagan )

V_S
5th March 2012, 09:13 PM
App,
:lol: too much. These are the people make our life more interesting!

I even love maamaavukku kuduma, eduthu naan vidavaa and ellOrum maavaatta. The mainstream films down south only has all these fun elements in the songs more, because they reflect our every day activities closely. We can witness a lot in our films. I agree, sometimes it might be silly. I believe, every time when we tend to compare with the other great melodies from the same film, definitely these songs sounds average. Where is the fun element and variety otherwise, if every song has to sound melodious (like we see in Hindi and malayalam films)? I really loved the situation in ellOrum maavaatta kathukidanum song, where it comes as a relaxation moment for the people who get lost behind the kitchens in hotels. They cannot sing a melody song inside the kitchen. A very rare situation conceived by KB and wonderfully composed by Maestro. Just my thoughts...

genesis
5th March 2012, 10:10 PM
#308 எடுத்து நான் விடவா என் பாட்டை தோழா?
(புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள், 1989 , இளையராஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2965'&lang=en)

Well sung by IR - like a clown. Clown's job is the most difficult in a circus - A juggler just juggles, but a clown needs to juggle as he is going to drop at any time.

This song featured Janankaraj ("தங்கச்சிய நாய் கடிச்சிருச்சுப்பா") on screen in IR voice. Also in this movie there is a funny scene where Janankaraj brushes and changes dress while driving a car. Well, this scene seems to have "inspired" from one of the Mr.Bean episodes.

Apart from Jananakaraj, there is another comedian featured in a smaller role in this movie. His dialogue from this movie was quite popular then - "இன்னைக்கு செத்தா நாளைக்குப் பால்". I had seen Vivek in Doordarshan few times before, but I believe this was his first Tamil movie.

Plum
5th March 2012, 10:40 PM
Kamal did the brushing in the car routine much later in punchthanhtram. What is the dateline of Mr Bean? Is it before 1989?

PARAMASHIVAN
5th March 2012, 10:42 PM
Kamal did the brushing in the car routine much later in punchthanhtram. What is the dateline of Mr Bean? Is it before 1989?

AFAIK Mr Bean started in the mid 90's!

Plum
5th March 2012, 10:45 PM
Eduthu naan vidava ranks higher than Ellorum maavatta. The charanam has a melody quotient. Right from vaasikkireengalaa nalla vas(sh)ingo, it is ilayarajjiyam. IR actually outdoes SP here (abachaaram abachaaram!. The normal sa in vaasikkirengalaa vs slurred ssh in vaashingo just two words later I have seen in typical drunken moments of friends. Oru sentencela naalu vaarthai theLivAna ucharippOda irukkum, adhE syllable rendu word thaLLi slurredA varum. Exclend singing, emoting and enunciating by the maestro. He must be a great observer of people.

app_engine
5th March 2012, 10:49 PM
It seems the pal thEikkal is a 1992 episode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mr._Bean_episodes) (one of my Detroit friends once showed me this on his computer, hilarious) :

Bean oversleeps and is late for his dental appointment. To save time, he decides to get dressed and brush his teeth while driving to the dentist, using a brick to hold down the accelerator while he changes his trousers and puts on his shoes and socks and shooting screenwash into his mouth to rinse it after brushing his teeth. When he spits out the toothpaste, it lands on the backside of a man whom Bean passes in his car.

So, KB / Janakaraj didn't refer to Mr Bean TV show :-)

However, it's possible the same was taken from an englees book (or older movie)...

app_engine
5th March 2012, 10:53 PM
App,
These are the people make our life more interesting!

These two guys were our personal Laurel / Hardy :-)

Yes, they enriched our bachelor days like anything! I'll have just one more story on them...

Plum
5th March 2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah I thought so. I had an inkling bean was in the 90s. Might be from a common source like Jerry Lewis or someone? I know Nagesh was a big fan of Lewis and there are stories of him incorporating Lewis stuff in KB movies so presumably, KB was a fan or atleast knowledgable about Lewis?

app_engine
5th March 2012, 11:43 PM
I know Nagesh was a big fan of Lewis and there are stories of him incorporating Lewis stuff in KB movies so presumably, KB was a fan or atleast knowledgable about Lewis?

Nagesh's wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagesh_(actor)) too says the same :

Nagesh's style of comedy was largely inspired by Hollywood actor Jerry Lewis (http://www.mayyam.com/wiki/Jerry_Lewis). Similarities between Nagesh and Lewis earned Nagesh the sobriquet (http://www.mayyam.com/wiki/Sobriquet) "Jerry Lewis of India".

Interestingly, the wiki article talks about Manorama & Nagesh being not in good terms :shock:

"History" is quite interesting :-)

app_engine
6th March 2012, 12:17 AM
#310 வைகாசி மாசத்துல பந்தல் ஒன்னு
(நினைவுச்சின்னம், 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2396'&lang=en)

vaikAsi mAsaththula from ninaivuchchinnam with KSC

Soft, enjoyable and melodious duet where both SPB & KSC sing nicely together. Looks like in this year, KSC has a decisive lead over any other female singer in duetting with our man. (We've hosted nine songs so far, which is more than the # of SPB-SJ duets in this year, perhaps for the first time in a given calendar year). The saraNam portion of the song somehow reminds me of the singaLaththu sinnakkuyilE. Nice tabla work enhances the listening pleasure. The interludes are mostly routine rAsA stuff with nothing out of the world, IMHO. Nevertheless, the song gives one a very soothing feeling and a recommended listen for bed time.

My connections with this number were strictly limited to bus travels in TN those days - as neither this movie nor the song was a biggie at Palakkad. Prabhu, Murali & Radhika are seen in the images if one googles for ninaivuchchinnam, with Prabhu in both young and old make-ups. If one browses through the other songs (no SPB in them), most without any familiarity to me, it sounds like a grAmaththu movie. Absolutely no idea what kind of run it had or the general reception of the other songs inside TN. However, without a doubt, this vaigAsi number was well-known :-)

app_engine
6th March 2012, 03:30 AM
Looking for the next film for tomorrow...

1989 thiraippAdal list has a movie called 'aNNanukku jAy' directed by GA - it has 3 SPB numbers but none I've heard before...thookkippOttAchchu...

Let's see nextu...

app_engine
6th March 2012, 03:33 AM
nexttu 'chinnappa dAs'.

Direction C V Rajendran, Sathyaraj acting-AmAm, has one SPB song - never heard before case - vittuththaLLu case again...

app_engine
6th March 2012, 03:35 AM
'dharmam vellum' - K Rangaraj direction (who had colloborated with IR in the past for some fantastic IR songs)...Vijayakanth Gowthami acting it seems...

There's a dEvi dEvi song with KSC, kEttadhE illai, chapter closed

app_engine
6th March 2012, 03:37 AM
idhayaththai thirudAthE - all Mano - so cannot host here, even though the Telugu originals supposedly had SPB :-(

Plum,
idhu unga area...please do the needful...nAn indha Attaththil illai...

app_engine
6th March 2012, 03:39 AM
So, it will be pAttukkoru thalaivan tomorrow :-)

Vijayakanth movie, yes I have some nostalgia with the song too :-)

groucho070
6th March 2012, 06:15 AM
idhayaththai thirudAthE - all Mano - so cannot host here, even though the Telugu originals supposedly had SPB :-(

Plum,
idhu unga area...please do the needful...nAn indha Attaththil illai...
Great, let's avail ourselves in another round of Mano bashing :roll:

jaiganes
6th March 2012, 09:26 AM
Nagesh's wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagesh_(actor)) too says the same :

Interestingly, the wiki article talks about Manorama & Nagesh being not in good terms :shock:

"History" is quite interesting :-)

I recollect KB recounting the PPA janakaraj comedy track as a direct tribute to Nagesh - not in any Jerry Lewis connection, but the
personality called Nagesh - A man who worked 20 hours round the clock, with little sleep, managing shaving, brushing teeth etc., with the
help of assistants in his car - The man was on a literal inertia scurrying between sets of movies and yet delivering comic moments without failure...

Plum
6th March 2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I guessed it right. There IS a Nagesh connection, isn't there? App - Dharmam Vellum: "Devi Devi" was mildly popular in Radio stations. I guess the lack of bus airtime shows the steady decline of IR songs' popularity. Where every obscure movie/song became popular, I guess this period started the oblivion of unknown movie songs. Annanukku Jey had Arjun-Seetha and the song "solai ilangiliye", a loveduet-shaped rework of "kudhiriaiyle naan", a sad song from the 70s. Can't remember which movie. Chinnappa Das is the one with vaanam thodaatha recently highlighted by Querida in the other thread?

Plum
6th March 2012, 10:03 AM
Ofcourse, these weren't SpB songs so won't feature here. I used to think Devi Devi was by Mano. Is it really SpB? Appo spiritually also it doesn't belong here, if it sounded like Mano to me.

Plum
6th March 2012, 10:06 AM
There is this metallic clang after "Devi Devi",(devi devi -tuttosh - nee en devi. - tutoosh) an interesting sound that made its appearance in IR songs during this period. I think he meant it as some sort of stylish city-lovers, or club song appendage. Also heard in thathom thalangu and "poongatre idhu podhum" in padicha pulla. What would you call that filler sound?

A_S
6th March 2012, 10:52 AM
App:

"Devi Devi" from DV was reasonably popular song and yes it was by SPB (not Mano) based on the AIR station announcements made when this song used to get played.
So the missed song count is slowly inching towards double digits :) I remember CD also had 1-2 SPB songs that had some air time. Let me double check.
Have been hearing Uzhaippali songs for the past few songs and finding it challenging to figure out the songs sung by Mano in this album.
Guess Mano's purple patch was in early 90s when he was sounding almost similar to SPB. IMHO in late 80s songs (for e.g. like GS in 1988), it's quite easy to make this out.

DV was a 1989 Deepavali release (when biggies like RK, KH had releases) and hence expectedly got overshadowed by them.
VK acted in double role (father & son) in this movie if I remember it right. Murali sir will have more details.

A_S
6th March 2012, 10:59 AM
@ Genesis: Vivek's debut movie was MUV (You are right about KB introducing him).

al_gates
6th March 2012, 03:12 PM
Plum: Raghuman brings back traumatic memories of Nadhiya - anbulla appa in particular so please go easy on Raghuman references
>>>> Aaah Rahman....what an innocent face! I first noticed this guy in IV Sasi's Malayalam movie Kaanamarayathu around 1988 and used to wonder about this guy's resemblance to Wasim Akram.

App_Engine: However, the basic nature doesn't change a lot, in my observation. I've seen tons of people who continue to deliberately speak untruth - make up stories etc, even after 3 or 4 large(drinks).

>>> I am actually reminded of a story narrated some years ago by former state cricketer V.Ramnarayan(husband of the Hindu's music reviewer Gowri Ramnarayan). Apparently in the the 60s, a Tamil Nadu cricket team went for a state tournament in Bombay around New Year. The team manager was one Mr.Annadurai and accompanying the team was Chepauk stadium's groundsman Perumal. The party had drowned one too many drinks that New Year night and in that state Perumal roguishly approached the manager and waved a finger saying, "Annaduraiiii, I the manager, you the groundsman now!". The poor man showed up the next day repentant and shamefaced.

App's visit to erumappatti: App, that sounds like an orthodox syrian christian marriage, in their tradition the prayers/rituals are said in Syrian which is why you could not understand head or tail of the ceremony.

App: I don't know for sure, however, whether the movie(Pandinattu Thangam) is really set in the pANdiya nAttuppakuthi.
As far as the fight scenes of the movie go, it was shot near the Hogenakkal falls close to Dharmapuri.

Plum: A severe reprimanding session in the Principal's room followed, with me turning approver, and thus began my exile from the Superstar camp and the eventual drift to the enemy camp. That was the last we heard of the "Talent Session" on Fridays. Mappillai, thus became a turning point in my "cultural appreciation" career, and remains the one of the movies of Rajini that I haven't seen ever.
>>>>> Bwahahaha! Plum, I havent laughed this hard in weeks....thanks for making my day :D

App:I was privileged to sit and watch the river in it's complete beauty on a fantastic sunny day, after attending the marriage of a co-worker in his home which was in a walkable distance from this! My view was very similar to this picture on wiki...

>>>> App, &*!%@!?$$%^%&^$*&^*^*^%#^%#$%@#!!! Kindly allow me to swear(lovingly) at you for once as I burn with jealousy! Indeed what more can you ask from life Sir??? You were treated to Raja at his scintillating and scorching best during the best and most adventurous part of life : college and bachelor days. Apart from living in a picturesque location and exploring the best of Mother Nature's wonders in God's own country. Rombave kuduthuvechirukeenga Sir!

PARAMASHIVAN
6th March 2012, 04:33 PM
Great, let's avail ourselves in another round of Mano bashing :roll:

I am warming up my Biceps now , Flau join the fun :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
6th March 2012, 04:42 PM
Have been hearing Uzhaippali songs for the past few songs and finding it challenging to figure out the songs sung by Mano in this album.
Guess Mano's purple patch was in early 90s when he was sounding almost similar to SPB. IMHO in late 80s songs (for e.g. like GS in 1988), it's quite easy to make this out.

:shock: Honestly, it is very easy to note the Difference between SPB and "Thilagam" . I can easily differentiate :)

Pls provide me the link to this Devi Devi song, I will confirm who is singing it regardless what it says on the link, CD cover etc etc.

Thanks

app_engine
6th March 2012, 07:51 PM
Is it really SpB? Appo spiritually also it doesn't belong here

Param,
Here is the link for the "dEvi dEvi" number - please comment :
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0657'&lang=en

A_S,
Thanks for catching the missed ones. At the current rate, we should be done with the completion of my listing in a month or so...so, the 'missed-by-app' can be done in summer :-)

al_gates,
nanRi for reading thru the posts and highlighting those that touched you :-)

app_engine
6th March 2012, 09:21 PM
#311 அழகிய நதி என
(பாட்டுக்கு ஒரு தலைவன், 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2591'&lang=en)

azhakiya nadhi ena from pAttukku oru thalaivan, with KSC

First of all, I encourage all to read this interesting, hilarious, detailed post by a fellow IRF, HonestRaj, in the TF section on this film :
HR's post on pAttukku oru thalaivan (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8642-PONMANACHELVAN-PURATCHIKALAIGNAR-VIJAYAKANTH-(Part-3)&p=711235&viewfull=1#post711235)

The most interesting part :

It's not a typical captain film.. his character is taken from the climax of Amman Koil KizhakkalE & his acting is similar to that <since his is limited talent.. he needs to repeat the same expressions>. He looks super-fit & he was 37 yrs old when he did this film.. the age of present day Vijay / Surya. He acted well as a innocent villager. Always captain does what the director expects. The acting in this film forms the base for present day mimicry artists to imitate VK.. something like nobody tried to imitate the earlier days MGR & always mimic the one after he was shot by MR Radha

:lol2:

A big favourite song for me those days (despite the soththakkadalai 'jumcha jumcha chakka' chorus), IR played around with harmony in this song and SPB-KSC relish singing the sweet melody. The saraNam part sounds almost like some MSV-TKR number of the MGR-Sivaji days - though it has some distinct IR marks :-) Much like current web popularity, the Jikki song 'ninaiththadhu yArO' was more popular during the arrival time too (on public address systems, i.e. as much as I heard). I'm not sure which of the two songs got telecast more on TV channels...

Before I write yet another wedding function tale, let me state the connection to this song. Since this wedding was in the nadoo center of TN (Samayapuram near Trichy), I was treated with this number on the city bus, as soon as I got into it, after the wedding was over :-) In real loud volume, that bus with shiny aluminium body work was playing the sweet number. I thoroughly enjoyed it while riding it from Samayapuram to Main guard gate, before travelling back to Palakkad, while thinking and smiling about the surprises I had during that day.

He's a close buddy with some similarities to me in life - from kukgrAmam, appA vAththiyAr, +2 varai Thamizh medium, same hostels for 4.5 yrs (but different engg branch), same company-la first job and thus a Palakkadan for a few years. He then took off to gulf, came back to get married to his mAmA poNNu plus childhood love. That was this wedding. (He never went back to gulf because the Kuwait crisis started...but prospered inside the country to be on top positions in many companies - now VPs report to him in a big corp - a good example for 'kaRROrukku senRa idamellAm siRappu').

However, the question - what was peculiar about the wedding?

Well, for one, this was the first time I was attending a marriage of 'peN koduththuppeN eduththal', with both brother & sister getting married on the same stage to their complements - a sister & brother. The interesting part is our man having his "love" for the girl for many years - right from the days he hurried from time to time during college hostel days to her village to help her in her studies etc. We were used to making a lot of fun of him on his 'childhood luvvu' and I was hoping to tease him a lot that day.

The morning of the day of wedding, when I reached there, he had an interesting surprise for me. That was this marriage of his elder brother, in the same town, on the same morning, in a different maNdapam :shock: So, break-fast in aNNan's marriage. Lunch in thambi-thangachi double marriage. Same day 3 siblings got married :-) While the morning affair was relatively simple, our engineer-foreign-return boy had grander plans for his, including having an elephant garland him :lol:

That was a real memorable day for me to tie in this 'azhakiya nadhi ena' song!

disk.box
6th March 2012, 11:26 PM
அனைவருக்கும் வணக்கம் :)
திரியின் பதிவுகளுக்கு தமிழில் பதிலளித்தல் சரிவருமா என எண்ணி பின்னூட்டங்களைத் தவிர்த்திருக்கிறேன். மன்னியுங்கள். :|
பதிவுகளும் பாடற் பகிர்வுகளும் அருமை.
தொடரட்டும் நற்பணி.
நன்றி மற்றும் நன்றி.:)

app_engine
6th March 2012, 11:50 PM
நல்வரவு disk.box !
நண்பர் venkkiram பொதுவாக தமிழில் தான் இங்கு தன் கருத்துகளை எழுதுவார்...நீங்களும் தமிழில் எழுதுங்கள், படித்து மகிழ்வோம் :-)

I think only Plum - who primarily uses mobile phone to hub - has issues with the unicode. All others should be fine with your comments.

BTW, மறுமொழி, கருத்து - இப்படி நல்ல தமிழ் வாக்குகள் உள்ளனவே :-)

"பின்னூட்டம்" என்பது +2 பாடப்புத்தகத்தில் operational amplifier's feedback சொல்லிக்கொடுக்க உருவாக்கிய பதம், எதற்கு வலையுலகில்?

Murali Srinivas
6th March 2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah A_S, you are right. Dharmam Vellum was a double role movie and I had the misfortune of watching it in theatre [Karthik paarthaa tesnsion aaga pogiraar] during that 1989 Deepavali time. What pissed me was one of the roles was a Jail Supdt [IIRC] and captain tried to do it like SP Choudry and you know the result. There was a section of the media and industry people [read jalraas] who praised him sky high after the Oomai vizhikal Police role and probably that made him take this [mis]step.

<end dig>

Nerd
7th March 2012, 12:15 AM
#311 அழகிய நதி என
(பாட்டுக்கு ஒரு தலைவன், 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2591'&lang=en)
(despite the soththakkadalai 'jumcha jumcha chakka' chorus)
The first thing that struck me as soon as I read the title of this post was jumcha jumcha chakka :lol2: And I have not listened to this song in ages. Power of the Raaja-chorus.

Really peculiar the incident you had narrated. And love the peculiar way you narrate stuff. Keep it going saar.

disk.box
7th March 2012, 12:33 AM
நன்றி மதிப்பிற்குரிய app_engine அவர்களே! :)
தங்கள் ஆணைப்படியே "பின்னூட்டம்" எனும் பதத்தை வலையேற்றாமல் இருக்க முயல்கிறேன். :)

app_engine
7th March 2012, 01:11 AM
nanRi, Nerd!

disk.box,

For tomorrow, I need to look for another movie. (The other SPB song in pAttukkoru thalaivan - 'ellOrudaiya vAzhkkaiyilum oru pombaLa uNdu' cannot be called a hit - kEttadhillai or kEttirundhAlum ninaivil illai :-( Interestingly, this song seems to have an IR version also)

app_engine
7th March 2012, 01:15 AM
There is a poongARRE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2613'&lang=en)in padichcha puLLa - kEttadhE illa :-(

skippu...

app_engine
7th March 2012, 01:35 AM
There's a song in "pick pocket" which is very familiar to me from bus listens...so, that will be the one for tomorrow.

Then I saw another film listed with the name 'vAthiyAr veettuppiLLai' with many songs credited to SPB.

My initial thought was - 'idhula enna thERappOvuthu, possibly this is the end of 1989'.

However, once I started listening to the songs, recognized a number of them as very popular numbers in Cbe area buses. So, we'll have a few more for 1989 :-)
(BTW, I notice that as a P Vasu movie - that guy wasn't too bad in getting songs from IR. After all, he colloborated with Santhana Bharathy for their first movie panneer pushpangaL that had 'poonthaLirAda'...he has to have some music taste :-) )

V_S
7th March 2012, 03:32 AM
Azhagiya Nadhiyena starting lines somehow takes me to 'Azhagiya VizhigaLil' from Bhagiyaraj's Darling Darling Darling.

Very nice and interesting write-up! Three marriages on a single day that too within the same family.:shock: It is easy for their relatives/friends to remember their marriage day.

app_engine
7th March 2012, 03:56 AM
nanRi V_Sji!

Three marriages on a single day that too within the same family.

nalla vELai, there was another periya aNNan who got married a few years earlier...illEnnA, moththamA siblings ellArukkum orE nALil thirumaNam nadaththina sAdhanai nadanthirukkum:-)

A_S
7th March 2012, 06:36 PM
App: Looks like "missed songs count" will touch double digits in 1989 itself :)

VVP was also a 1989 Deepavali release and it was still early days for SR as a full fledged main stream hero (he had made his mark as Villian in 80s). He was trying to launch himself as MGR's protege (this movie title VVP was indicative of that). 1989 had multiple releases (like Chinnappadas, Pick pocket in addition to VVP) with him as the hero. If I remember it right, SR's manager (guess his name was Ramanathan) produced one movie per year from 1989-1994 (VVP, Nadigan, Brahma, Thirumathi Palanisamy, Udan Pirappu, one 1994 Deepavali release were the movies - Murali sir will have more details) and the intention apparently was sustaining SR's market as hero (when there were so many heroes in the fray).

Except for 1994 release, all others had IR's music (3 of them were directed by P.Vasu) and had some excellent SPB hits (guess you will be covering them in this thread). For some reason, IR had used only SPB (not Mano, MV has sung one or two songs in total for SR in IR's music) for SR movies (in early 90s when Mano was getting lots of songs in IR's music) and besides KH, SR only seems to have had this privilege (of SPB exclusively singing for him).

My POT cassette had IR's version of 'ellOrudaiya vAzhkkaiyilum oru pombaLa uNdu' and it's a composition that's definitely worth a listen (guess in SPB's voice, it will probably be sounding even better).

PARAMASHIVAN
7th March 2012, 07:16 PM
Three marriages on a single day that too within the same familyIt is easy
Effective Project/Budget management :lol2:

app_engine
7th March 2012, 08:54 PM
App: Looks like "missed songs count" will touch double digits in 1989 itself :)

That was mainly because my TN bus trips were kind of dwindling...

Plum
7th March 2012, 09:21 PM
//DIG. - sureshs65 - nominating you as the next guest in the "guest of the month" thread conducted by Our own Bachchanji Shaktiprabha. MaRukkAma kalandhukkomga. Ungala visaarikka vendiyadhu neraiya irukku.

baroque
7th March 2012, 10:02 PM
mm....duet ninaiththadhu yaaro..... & pathos ellorudaiya vaazhkaiyilum..... were well known for me then.

PICKPOCKET has a memorable pathos melody too.

please continue, app_eng.

vinatha.

app_engine
7th March 2012, 10:11 PM
baroque,

ninaiththadhu yArO had Mano (with Jikki) :-)

Our friends (hopefully lead managed by A_S) will definitely cover the 'ellOrudaiya vAzhkkaiyilum', after I finish up my ramblings...

HonestRaj
7th March 2012, 10:21 PM
app..
enna ippadi embrass panreenga.. nan edho ennoda Ottai English vechu ange post pannittu irukken.. adhai inge link panni.. ayyo.. btw, nice to know that you remembered my post :p

murali sir..
:lol:
ungalai madhiri vayasula periyavangalOda experience'than enakku news.. so, idhukkellam tension aaga matten..
padam hit or average?
& VK'ku acting police vida action police than nalla varum :p
i know the outline of Dharmam Vellum.. but did not got a chance to see this.. will try getting this

HonestRaj
7th March 2012, 10:23 PM
app..
is there any index for reading your post about our fav. songs.. for eg: chinna mani kuyile..

& i was thinking possible ir-spb-vk songs... rombha kammiyathan varumatta irukku..

it looks like Mano, KJ, Jeyachandran, MV.. all had equal share in IR-VK combination

PARAMASHIVAN
7th March 2012, 10:23 PM
Honest

Neenga sariya thread la thaan irukeengala nu parunga :shock:

PARAMASHIVAN
7th March 2012, 10:25 PM
Jeyachandran, MV.. all had equal share in IR-VK combination

PJ must have sung the best songs for VK Followed by SPB. KJY

HonestRaj
7th March 2012, 10:25 PM
btw, app.. i've not read 90% of this thread, but it is in my "to-be-read" category..
will do one day :)

Chinna Gounder vandha solli anuppunga :)

HonestRaj
7th March 2012, 10:26 PM
Honest

Neenga sariya thread la thaan irukeengala nu parunga :shock:

puriayalai..
sariyathane post panren?

PARAMASHIVAN
7th March 2012, 10:29 PM
puriayalai..
sariyathane post panren?

illa ithu VK thread illEnu sonnEn :yessir: J/king :)

baroque
7th March 2012, 10:33 PM
yeah.. there are some Mano songs become hits over SPB's compositions from the same album during that time.

Ninaithadhu yaaro.... is one of them.:)

HonestRaj
7th March 2012, 10:38 PM
illa ithu VK thread illEnu sonnEn :yessir: J/king :)

invite pannadhalathan vandhurkkOm..
naangalum Ilaiyaraaja rasigarthan..
invite pannatiyum inge vara engalukku urimai undu..

/ no tension paramu /

app_engine
7th March 2012, 10:39 PM
H_R,
nanRi for the visit and comments :-)

The index for the years is in the first post of this thread...if you know the year of the song, you can reach using that...but some of those links are not correct (after the year 1985), I'll request RR sir to fix them.

For your quick reference, here are some links :

1986 links (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-256-%E0%AE%86%E0%AE%A9%E0%AE%A8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%A F%8D-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%9F%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D&p=796026&viewfull=1#post796026)

1987 links (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-283-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%88%E0%AE%AF%E0%AF%8B%E0%A E%9A%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%B2%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%86%E0%AE%A9&p=803187&viewfull=1#post803187)

1988 links (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=813299&viewfull=1#post813299)

For chinna maNeekkuyilE, follow this link :

#226 chinna maNeekkuyilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr.IR-and-Dr.SPB-249-%E0%AE%89%E0%AE%A9%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%BE%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B5%E0%AF%87-%E0%AE%B5%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%B4%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%A E%BF%E0%AE%B1%E0%AF%87%E0%AE%A9%E0%AF%8D-%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%9F%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8D%E0%A E%95%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D&p=781749&viewfull=1#post781749)

HonestRaj
7th March 2012, 10:42 PM
yeah.. there are some Mano songs become hits over SPB's compositions from the same album during that time.

Ninaithadhu yaaro.... is one of them.:)

poovana yetta thottu --- ponmanachelvan, this one best suits for SPB.. :(

PARAMASHIVAN
7th March 2012, 10:53 PM
poovana yetta thottu --- ponmanachelvan, this one best suits for SPB.. :(

IR must have used Mano and MV as a "cheaper" option, Ofcourse MV is the next best versatile singer after SPB

HonestRaj
7th March 2012, 10:56 PM
thanks app.. finished reading the "Chinna mani kuyile" :clap:

& found another thing.. "oru kAdhal enbadhu" is done by IR.. :)

app_engine
7th March 2012, 11:29 PM
found another thing.. "oru kAdhal enbadhu" is done by IR..

There are tons of such information thru out this thread, on SPB-IR songs...read at your leisure :-)

app_engine
7th March 2012, 11:54 PM
#312 மஞ்சக்குருவி மஞ்சக்குருவி கொஞ்சப்பாக்குதடி
(பிக்பாக்கெட், 1989 , சுசீலாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2715'&lang=en)

manjakkuruvi manjakkuruvi konjappAkkudhadi (pick pocket, with PS)

A song that sounds like some Malayalam songs, some Ceylon Manohar 'poppisai pAdalkaL' and also having IR elements. The 'mAmAvukku kudumA kudumA' styled pallavi (minus the stylish drumwork ofcourse) sounds like a typical Malayalam movie song that depicts a kOttayam family :lol2:

The interesting portion is obviously the saraNam, when SPB's akkA makes the entry - bringing life to the dull song. She's stylish for the most part but there is a small portion that pal iLichchifies as 'motherish' too. If one looks it purely as a fun song, it passes ok.

I cannot ignore this song for the thread as I've heard it a number of times during bus rides in the Cbe-Pollachi-Pazhani route (possibly those driver-conductors had some Sathyaraj affinity). Should have been a mild hit those days.

There's another song listed in thiraippAdal (also comes up in google search for pick pocket with youtube link etc) called 'poovum thenRal'...unfortunately, no familiarity to me. The google search also says the heroini was Radha...must have been her last active year (rAjAthi rAjA and this movie...was there any other?)

app_engine
8th March 2012, 01:25 AM
There are four SPB hits from the movie VVP that will start from tomorrow and that movie marks the conclusion of the year 1989 and the fabulous 80's. These songs were strictly "heard-in-buses-only" hits and don't have any special personal nostalgia.

So, I'm taking VV's advice : 'ethaiyum plAn paNNip paNNanum' :wink:

Since we've had a few 'wedding function' tales while posting the 1989 songs, I'll have to keep the 'maNa mAlaiyum' song as the last one for the year and will feature a somewhat sad tale of a relative, one with a happy ending (includes a personal experience).

Prior to that, there'll be a single crazy incident related to a wedding / couple on the post for 'aNNana vittu'.

For the remaining two duets, one will have a post on our thread's "Laurel / Hardy" & the other will have some variety of unusual things noticed around matches / marriages / wedding ceremonies.

So, 4 more days booked :-)

baroque
8th March 2012, 03:04 AM
stylish composition, app_eng!
brazilion style orchestration, percussion.

poovum thendral kaatrum endrum udal kollalaamo.....is a melodious pathos.
I love it.
I often listen.

soodu romba soodu indha paalu.....is a beautiful composition, app_eng.

fantastic guitar & humming prelude with water kumizhi sound & flute, chorus humming .. wonderful rhythmic delight.

Rasa oru maadhiri steamy aa eruppaaru! peppy song!
Shaila with Mano.

it is a HOT album from late 80s Raja.:clap:

kadhal thiruda.... has a Irish, Scottish style music in the interlude.
:musicsmile:
I listened my copy of PICKPOCKET - cd while driving yesterday
Vinatha.

app_engine
8th March 2012, 09:21 PM
baroque,
pickpocket CD-yellAm vachchirukkeengaLA?

:surprise:

neenga uNmaiyilEyE periya IR-visiRi!

:thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
8th March 2012, 09:54 PM
neenga uNmaiyilEyE periya IR-visiRi!

:thumbsup:

Ileeng

Avanga periya SPB visiri apuram than IR visiri :lol2:

baroque
8th March 2012, 10:12 PM
:)

PICK POCKET, EN UYIR THOZHAN & MAVEERAN combo from Oriental records.

run & search in the indian music stores & vangunga!

yeah.. LOVE S.P.B. :swinghead:

vinatha.

app_engine
9th March 2012, 02:15 AM
#313 அண்ணனை விட்டு ஒரு கல்யாணமா
(வாத்தியார் வீட்டுப்பிள்ளை, 1989 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3918'&lang=en)

aNNana vittu oru kalyANamA (vAthiyAr veettuppiLLai)

The title of the movie sounds like 'enga veettuppiLLai' - like A_S mentioned recently, part of Satyarajar's efforts to attract MGR fans during this time period. Movie was with Shobana it seems, very interesting combination. As mentioned yesterday, I have absolutely no memories related to this movie / album - except listening to these songs many times on the Cbe area buses. Quite popular, I must say. SPB sings with adequate emotions in this song (that must have been a situation of 'EmARRam' on the movie). rAsA nicely blends the marriage mELam sound plus possibly shenoy (or is it nAdhaswaram?) to bring the wedding house plus disappointment feel. Being the master of the craft / art, he easily touches the dil with his "backhand shot" tricks :thumbsup:

As per the plan outlined yesterday, this post should include a 'crazy incident related to a couple & their wedding'. Since the song starts as 'aNNana vittu', let me get the incident my thambi narrated (about a wedding that he attended without me) :wink:

During the bachelor days, it was my practice to visit parents / siblings in the village once a month. Like I posted many times before, it was typically like - chEran or KSRTC bus to Cbe on Sat evening, 2nd show at Cbe, then 4+ hours of musical bus journey to town, get the early morning first bus to village, spend the day at home and leave in the last bus from the village.

During one such visit, a sleepy me was told that we'll have 'virundhu' at home for a newly married couple from the neighborhood and they'll be here by 11 AM. Well, the couple were from a different village but the groom's akkA was married to our neighbor and that's the connection. So, we don't know much about the boy-girl and I wasn't very thrilled to meet them. However, my brother, who attended the marriage told me they're quite an interesting couple. The girl is a malayALi from Palakkad dist and the wedding was in one of those pARai's.

It's not unusual for relatively dark TN boys to joLLufy relatively fair KL girls and get married. That way, this bride's elder sis / chEchi got married to a TN-er. Our groom saw the chEchi and agreed to the proposal to marry her younger sis it seems. He never saw / met the girl. Wedding was planned, invitations distributed (our family got one and my brother was sent). Wedding was in the girl's home and all crowd were there on the day and the groom's group arrived. My thambi too reached just about the same time. This was when the mAppiLLai actually saw the girl - who was not fair as her chEchi but very dark skinned - and was shocked and refused to sit in the maNappandhal, ran to upstairs of the building :shock:

There was total chaos and my brother watched the whole comedy scene. Finally, after the boy got convinced "somehow", the marriage took place.

It was this couple I'll be meeting and I was suddenly very interested :-)

Well, the boy was looking like 'angAdiththeru' hero and the girl was of course not very attractive at the first look. There was lively conversation during the lunch and one could see that she was a nice woman - could even speak a few words in Thamizh, very shyly. The boy was shy too as he was in total embarassment seeing my brother, who was part of the group that "took care of him" on his wedding day :lol:

Then the most shocking thing happened - after the lunch, the boy wanted to talk to me separately - and told me that 'though the girl is ugly, the family is rich and I'll get property share, good money' :shock:

One of the absolutely dumbfounding moments of my life!

I've never met them again and hopefully they are still living happily together :-)

rajkumarc
9th March 2012, 02:36 AM
I remember only Vaanam Thodatha Megam (by KSC) from Pickpocket and I love that song, need to listen to the numbers suggested by App and baroque.

App - VVP has Gauthami and not Shobana IIRC. Really unbelievable marriage episode, the one in your last post. I thought stuff like this only happens in movies. How can one agree to a wedding without seeing the bride/groom :shock:. Maybe it was not unusual those days but I thought they would atleast see the picture before marrying.

app_engine
9th March 2012, 02:48 AM
App - VVP has Gauthami and not Shobana IIRC.

The following link further confuses, telling that Suganya is the heroine but the picture has Shobana:
http://tamilxprez.blogspot.com/2010/10/vaathiyar-veetu-pillai-songs.html

About the 'marriage without seeing the girl's pic' - it wasn't totally uncommon until 80's as per my knowledge, especially among villagers. As for this incident, it's still something that me & my thambi laugh about for a long time when we talk about :lol2:

app_engine
9th March 2012, 03:06 AM
BTW, wikipedia says VVP was SR's 100-Avadhu padam :-)
(Must be counting from the adiyAL vEsham in sattam en kaiyil)

V_S
9th March 2012, 04:59 AM
Nice to read about your friend's marriage event. Definitely, it should have been embarrassing to both of them to meet in front of everyone for the first time, that too on the day of marriage.

Suganya's debut film was Bharathiraaja's Pudhu Nellu Pudhu Naathu in 1991. So that site might have written Suganya's name by mistake. VVP has some very good songs, but I have not heard since many years. Thanks for picking up these songs.

app_engine
9th March 2012, 09:43 AM
nanRi, V_Sji!

BTW, porut kuRRam:

your friend's marriage event.

I've seen him only once :-) Also, as you can see toward the end of the post - his stress on money - it's difficult for him to qualify as my friend :-)

app_engine
9th March 2012, 09:48 AM
dig
One of my all-time-fav composers in Malayalam field, Bombay Ravi (86), has passed away :-(

There are few songs of him in the IF section...for e.g. look at this page (or the few prior pages for panchAgni, nakhakshadhangaL...):
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?470-Malayalam-Film-Music/page52

end-dig

V_S
9th March 2012, 10:04 AM
<dig>
App, please also listen to his hindi classics. He started his musical career from 1950s. He came down south only later in 70's, I think. He didn't have any classical training, yet you can hear classical based songs in his compositions, in Chaudhvin ka chaand, Hamraaz, Gumrah, Gharana, Aaj aur kal, Grishasthi, Narsi Bhagat and many more. You have to listen to classical "Darshan do Ghanshyam" from Narsi Bhagat and "Jeevan jyot jale" from Grishasthi, to know his talent. A great loss indeed. :sad:
</dig>

baroque
9th March 2012, 10:13 AM
:( sad news .

baroque
9th March 2012, 10:23 AM
mmm... I think manamaalaiyum manjalum.....charukesi delight is the only song I have listened in this album. I have that composition in some assorted collection.

thanks, app_eng.

karuppu, sigappu etc... Stigma shed pannungappa!:twisted:

my friend solluvaan, until he was in India, he felt low because he was dark but his family members are fair colour appadinnu avanga kudumba janta talking.

When he arrived USA, how his classmates & his work people, friends he made in his gym etc.. are nice & value him for his potential & nicety.

adhaan... stigma ozhinjadhan uruppadum.

vinatha.

app_engine
9th March 2012, 05:35 PM
nanRi baroque, for the rAgA info!

karuppu, sigappu etc... Stigma shed pannungappa!:twisted:

Please wait till I host another story :-)

app_engine
9th March 2012, 11:12 PM
#314 சிக்குன்னு இழுக்குது சிட்டாஞ்சினுக்கு
(வாத்தியார் வீட்டுப்பிள்ளை, 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3922'&lang=en)

sikkunu izhukkudhu chittAnchinukku - VVP with KSC

Sweet themmAngu - with not so sweet chorus. Both KSC & SPB add a lot of value to what could have been composed by IR in 5 minutes. Song was unquestionably a hit - heard many times on PA systems / buses. Gets entry into the thread without having to qualify.

Per my Vadivel "plan" (achak-puchak-jachak), this song should have an incident with the Palakkad Laurel & Hardy. Possibly the last one for them (as they ceased to be room mates in 1990 and one by one moved into our bachelor home).

I need to introduce another friend here - a tall guy with a lot of musical interest, used to talk non-stop about 'pon vAnam panneer thoovuthu innEram', tried to get into guitar lessons like me but suffered due to lack of time like me as well in this time period and was a regular in bachelor room conversations / commute back from work etc. (I bought 3 or may be 4 Lewis guitars from Bangalore and brought them in 'island express' during one of my official trips for all of us...mine got snapped thanks to the "strings-force-tension", after being unattended for months)...

Our restless-bulky-engineer was known for arguing with anyone and everyone and on almost every topic in the world :-) Fortunately for me, he was music agnostic and I was the only guy in his good books / got spared from arguments. OTOH, his "lean-artist-slow-room mate" was practically spending an average of one hour each day arguing with him on some topic or other.

It was an eventful day when all four of us (me, Laurel, Hardy, tall-music-guy) got out of the bus at Fort Maidan of Palakkad, coming back from work - around 5:45 PM. It was a beautiful evening and the maidan was beautifully lit by the weak rays from the west and it was awesome to see the huge sun in the "setting" process! It was like a huge orange-brown ball and all of us were mesmerized at the sight of it and were speechless!

Well, our bulky man wanted to break into conversation and started "innaikku pournamiyA" :lol: (It was obvious that he mistook the sun for moon :rotfl:)

All three of us instantly burst into laughter and his lean room mate reminded him 'yOv adhu sooriyan yA'!

A normal guy would have got embarassed and may be asadu vazhinjified and either kept quiet or made a shy remark and /or run for cover. But our Mr Argument cannot leave things that easily. So he started, 'why, can sun not look in a specific way on a pournami day? What do you know about astronomy? Did you study planetary motion?' etc etc.

We couldn't believe our ears - but both the guys kept arguing over the topic for at least an hour that day until the music-lover could bear it no more and pushed it to another topic :-)

End of the day, we all had to go to the theater -for second show - to cool it off :-)

disk.box
10th March 2012, 12:06 AM
"அண்ணனை விட்டு ஒரு கல்யாணமா" 'சுப்பு செல்லம்' பாடியிருக்கிறார் என்ற ஒரே காரணத்துக்காக கேட்கப்பட்ட பாடல். (என்னால்)
"ராஜேஷ்" வாத்தியார். அவரின் தம்பி சத்யராஜ் . ராஜேஷின் மகள் திருமண சமயத்தில்தான் இந்தப் பாடல் வரும் என்ற நினைவு. ( சில தமிழ்த் திரைக்காவியங்களில் தங்கை பாத்திரத்திலேயே இவரைக் கண்ட நினைவு.| இந்திரா?| )

பாடல் மற்றும் நினைவலைகள் பகிர்வுக்கு நன்றி மதிப்பிற்குரிய app_engine அவர்களே :)

disk.box
10th March 2012, 12:26 AM
dig
One of my all-time-fav composers in Malayalam field, Bombay Ravi (86), has passed away :-(

There are few songs of him in the IF section...for e.g. look at this page (or the few prior pages for panchAgni, nakhakshadhangaL...):
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?470-Malayalam-Film-Music/page52

end-dig

இசையமைப்பாளர் மதிப்பிற்குரிய "பாம்பே ரவி" அவர்களுக்கு உளமார்ந்த அஞ்சலிகள் :(

"புதிய தென்றல்" என்ற தமிழ்த் திரைக் காவியத்துக்கு (ரமேஷ் அரவிந்த் - சிவரஞ்சனி நடித்து...."தென்றலிலே மிதந்து வரும்" என்ற அழகோ அழகான சுப்பு செல்லம் - கே.எஸ்.சித்ரா பாடலால் பெருமை பெற்ற காவியம் ) இசையமைப்பு "ரவி" என்றுள்ளது. வானுலகெய்திய " பாம்பே ரவி" அவர்கள்தான் இந்த " ரவி"யா?

app_engine
10th March 2012, 01:03 AM
உங்கள் கருத்துக்கு மிக்க நன்றி, disk.box!

பம்பாய் ரவி தமிழ்ப்படங்கள் எதற்கும் இசை அமைத்ததாக என் சிற்றறிவின் நினைவுகளில் இல்லை...
அவரது மலையாளப்பாடல்கள் தமிழில் மொழிமாற்றம் செய்யப்பட்டனவா இல்லையா என்று எனக்குத்தெரியாது.

நீங்கள் சொல்லும் பாடலுக்கு ஏதாவது இணைப்பு இருந்தால் சொல்லுங்கள், ஏதாவது தெரிந்த பாடல் போல இருக்கிறதா என்று கேட்டுப்பார்க்கலாம்...

V_S
10th March 2012, 07:17 AM
Hilarious post App, especially the justification part! :lol:

Regarding Pudhiya Thendral, it should be Ravi Devendran, a music director mainly in telugu film industry. I guess some sites separates his first name and last name and lists as 'Ravi' / 'Deva' as md for this film. There is also one more Devendran who did BR's Vedham Pudhithu. All confusions.:lol:

Plum
10th March 2012, 01:48 PM
Isn't Ravi Devendran same as Devendran?

app_engine
10th March 2012, 06:46 PM
nanRi, V_Sji!

Me too feebly remember Devendran of vEdham pudhidhu later revised his name...not very sure, though...

In any case, it's highly improbable that a Bombay Ravi TFM album exists...

V_S
10th March 2012, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah you both may be right! May be it's true that Ravi Devendran and Devendran are one and the same. Atleast from the style perspective of VEdham pudhithu and Pudhiya Thendral songs, both seems to have come from the same md, but it is definitely not Bombay Ravi.

app_engine
11th March 2012, 10:03 AM
dig
Param,
You like Madhavi, so you need to check-out the last song in the following post (chandanalEpa sugandham)...
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?470-Malayalam-Film-Music&p=827190&viewfull=1#post827190

end-dig

csramasami
11th March 2012, 10:49 AM
In the early eighties, there was one Ravi who was the MD of a Tamil Film by name "Sparisam" or so. Somebody can check up.

Plum
11th March 2012, 01:08 PM
That Ravi was Mr Shobana. I am fairly sure Ravi Devendran=Devendran. Only possibility of Bombay Ravi in tamil is if any of the hindi/mallu movies got dubbed? Wasn't Nakshathangal dubbed?

Divine22
12th March 2012, 11:56 AM
I remember seeing this movie some years ago, Shobana was the pair for Satyaraj.

Great going App sir, Kalakungge ! :)

PARAMASHIVAN
12th March 2012, 04:29 PM
dig
Param,
You like Madhavi, so you need to check-out the last song in the following post (chandanalEpa sugandham)...
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?470-Malayalam-Film-Music&p=827190&viewfull=1#post827190

end-dig Nadri :) Madhavi pon mayilaal :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
12th March 2012, 04:49 PM
Devendran who did BR's Vedham Pudhithu. All confusions.:lol:

:shock: I thought it was IR :oops:

Bala (Karthik)
12th March 2012, 06:15 PM
app_engine,
Nitpick: The musical instrument is "shehnai". Shenoy is a surname.

app_engine
12th March 2012, 08:32 PM
app_engine,
Nitpick: The musical instrument is "shehnai". Shenoy is a surname.

:oops:

nanRi for pointing out the blunder :-)

app_engine
12th March 2012, 08:42 PM
3 songs due today (sat / sun / mon)...with the first two, we're also ending 1989. Both are from VVP, obviously.

For the first song of 1990, I've picked rAsA's 500th movie :-)

app_engine
12th March 2012, 08:43 PM
I remember seeing this movie some years ago, Shobana was the pair for Satyaraj.

nanRi Divine22, for the confirmation on herOini & the kind words!

Plum
12th March 2012, 08:44 PM
My father used to use "shehnai" as a synonym for "saniyan". Until about I entered college, I grew up thinking of shenai as a bad word :(.

Plum
12th March 2012, 08:47 PM
Later I learnt that the logic for his use of shenai as an abasagunam word is because of its sad strains while purportedly being a mangaLa vaadhyam for auspicious occasions. It is the lack of delivery on promise(of auspicious music) that irked him the most and confined the word to profanity status :lol:

app_engine
12th March 2012, 09:31 PM
#315 ஏய் ஒரு பூஞ்சோலை ஆளானதே
(வாத்தியார் வீட்டுப்பிள்ளை, 1989, சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3921'&lang=en)

Eh oru poonjOlai ALAnadhE of VVP with KSC

A song where KSC almost sounds like SJ, especially in the pallavi line :shock: Excellent song - melodious and soothing with its flute accompaniments! SPB sounds like 20-something :shock: mArkkaNdEyakkural! With nice vaLaivu neLivukAL, the song has a "magudi" effect and can calm even a person of murderous rage! If I'm into "therapy using music", I'll strongly recommend this song to people with disturbed mind, in a rage, burst of anger etc to manage and control / subside their urges :-) (OTOH, this may increase certain "maRRa" urge and one has to have a proper outlet for that :wink:)

Again, a song known to me only thru Cbe-area buses and was unquestionably popular!

Now, per my outlined plan, this song should have some interesting thing related to marriages / match making etc. Earlier, baroque admonished people to shed stigma (of 'attakkaruppu / sekkachchevappu' problems). Per my observation in TN / Kerala all thru the 70s-90s and even in the new millennium, this had been a problem - even though all of us can be called 'brown' in general. This 'fair color' had often been a decisive factor in picking the bride! :oops: TN-dark-boys-falling-for-fair-KL-girls wasn't an unusual thing.

I had a eastie team mate (from Gauhati, he didn't like to be called "northie") who loved 'sheNbagamE' and often hummed it. He often ridiculed TN-ers for this craving of fair thOl, especially pointing out to our movies having dark heroes dancing around with "imported fair" girls :lol2: Interestingly, however, I happened to be involved in a "match-making" that was simbly opposite to this general state of the affair. (BTW, it was after Y2K and hope many of this type happen now).

I had a friend of friend, originally from TN but settled in KL due to his railway job. He & his kids had dark features (perhaps that was the reason for his love for coal / steam engine). He kept mentioning to me of not having enough contacts in TN and thus his difficulty in finding a boy for one of the girls who was in mid-20's. She had kaLaiyAna mugam but karuththa peN (that too thamizhachchi) inside KL getting a match was almost like a kuthiraikkombu.

Well, I mentioned this to my father during one of the phone calls and he told me that there's a malayALi guy - his neighbor - inside TN, looking for a bride from KL. I told him that this girl can speak both tongues, like the boy, and can be a potential match.

I was privileged to attend the marriage of them (and even gave a short speech in MalayaLam) :-) The boy was no MGR but definitely with typical malayALi features. He had his own cottage industry in TN - that he subsequently left behind for the siblings and moved to the girl's town in KL to start their life. I had prayed as much for the girl as my sisters for a happy married life...

About a month back, when talking to my father, he handed his phone to a visitor. Yes, it was the malayALi boy from TN who married the Thamizh girl from KL.

I was so thrilled to hear his happy voice telling me "aNNE, enga poNNu anjAnglAss padikkiRA"
:AnandhakkaNNeer:

PARAMASHIVAN
12th March 2012, 09:47 PM
SPB sounds like 20-something :shock: mArkkaNdEyakkural! TN-dark-boys-falling-for-fair-KL-girls wasn't an unusual thing.

What does this word mean ?

He often ridiculed TN-ers for this craving of fair thO

True, I only find this insanity amongst Tamilians, in the west, They love to be brown, they go through various tanning techniques (sun beds) even tanning tablets to be brown! South americans / Spanish people here are said to be the good looking one

app_engine
12th March 2012, 09:55 PM
Param,
mARkaNdEyan = enRum pathinARu vayadhu person, per Indian mythology :-)

(BTW, the nickname for Sivakumar is mARkkaNdEyan in the Thamizh tabloids).

I just added 'kural' to it as it suits SPB perfectly :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
12th March 2012, 10:10 PM
Param,
mARkaNdEyan = enRum pathinARu vayadhu person, per Indian mythology :-)

As in mARkaNdEyan the Shiva bhaktha ?

app_engine
12th March 2012, 11:18 PM
#316 மணமாலையும் மஞ்சளும் சூடி
(வாத்தியார் வீட்டுப்பிள்ளை, 1989) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3919'&lang=en)

maNa mAlaiyum manjaLum soodi of VVP

With veeNai, flute and tablA accompaniments, SPB's voice takes one to sweet heights! Chocolate factory number, that also brings a kalyANa situation very alive in mind! While the happiness of the situation is apparent, there's also some mild feel of sOgam (strictly IMO)...cannot possibly be called as sOgam, may be one can call it 'poignant'...very interesting number anyways! Vinatha told us that this is a chArukEsi number, is this the typical feel of that rAgam?

Like I mentioned in the plan, I need to include a sad tale with a happy ending in this song's post.

Sad, because this was a case of a guy who suffered paranoia that led to depression and almost ruined his marriage:-( Not only was he a relative but a friend to me in the TFM context, though senior by at least 6-7 years. He was a big lover of kavingar (he once declared : 'padam pAththuttu veLiya vandhadhum angEyE pAttuppusthakam vAngAma keLamba mAttOm'), great fan of KVM & mellisai mannar but didn't like IR that much. I used to have hours of argument with him during my school days on IR-MSV but still loved him as a friend.

He had a master's degree / gov job / very brilliant and married this pAvam girl in the year that I entered college. Her family moved to Trichy area from ilangai during 70's. At the wedding in my dad's village, I made friend with her younger brother who was doing engg and a big MSV-lover also. It was a fun wedding.

Well, due to job situation, the man had to be away from wife - typically meeting during weekends only even during their initial days of family life - but they seemed to be very happy and had two children one by one.

Later, possibly there was extended time periods of the man being away or chemical imbalance or whatever and trouble started...It was during my bachelor days at Palakkad that I came to know about this man furious over his wife (suspicion of fidelity) and trying to get a divorce :shock: The whole family of the girl got depressed over the issue and her brother who was already suffering deep depression -discontinued engg studies- killed himself:-(

It was a mad situation for both the families and the families of their respective married siblings and none could do anything to convince the man :-( Finally, his younger brother's wife - an enterprising lady - took the charge, got proper advice from a mental health clinic plus help from relatives (included my mom) and got him "arrested" to the clinic :clap:
(At that time I didn't know the technique they employed to trap him but later I had to use the same or very similar trick on another guy - an alcohol addict - to bring to deaddiction clinic).

During his "rehab" period, my dad took him to my bachelor room, we went to dam / garden etc and all of us were slowly overcoming the grief that was caused due to his problem. Soon after, when good sense prevailed, it was made sure that he lived with wife and children in the place of employment! Me & my room mate had an interesting long bus trip to his house, carrying a huge new TV on bus for them (we had to unpack to load it into the bus and repack inside the bus to arrest damage :lol:).

After years of strained relationship - well, the lady had to be praised for her patience - they are living happily everafter :-) They had a third child too :-)

Moral of the story - when in doubt, ask!

When in serious doubt, seek medical help!!

app_engine
12th March 2012, 11:22 PM
ok, we've ended 1989!

Happily for hubbers who are regular visitors to this thread, the year full of kahAnees comes to an end and I promise not to bore anymore with long stories :-)

Time to compile the links :-)

Param,
Yes, it's the same mythological person (who is not seen anymore on the surface of the earth...possibly he is sweet 16 somewhere else) :-)

app_engine
13th March 2012, 12:44 AM
Songs of 70's, 1980 to 1988 from here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=813299&viewfull=1#post813299)

Links to the posts on songs of 1989 :

#284 rAjA kaiya vachchA adhu wrongAppOnadhillE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=813351&viewfull=1#post813351)
#285 aNNAththa AduRAr oththikkO oththikkO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=813761&viewfull=1#post813761)
#286 vAzha vaikkum kAdhalukku jAy (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=814224&viewfull=1#post814224)
#287 pudhu mAppiLLaikku nalla yOgamadA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=815026&viewfull=1#post815026)
#288 onna nenachchEn pAttuppadichchEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=815163&viewfull=1#post815163)
#289 mARugO mARugO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=815166&viewfull=1#post815166)
#290 thaththOm thaLAngu thaththOm (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=815596&viewfull=1#post815596)
#291 poongARRu un pEr solla (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=816063&viewfull=1#post816063)
#292 vAnamenna keezhirukku bhoomiyenna mElirukku (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=816552&viewfull=1#post816552)
#293 mAmA un poNNakkodu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=816899&viewfull=1#post816899)
#294 mAnin iru kaNkaL koNda mAnE mAnE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=817547&viewfull=1#post817547)
#295 enna thAn sugamO nenjilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=818008&viewfull=1#post818008)
#296 vERu vElai unakku illaiyE ennaikkonjam kAdhali (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=818016&viewfull=1#post818016)
#297 ElElakkuyilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=818645&viewfull=1#post818645)
#298 mayilAdum pARaiyilE nAnga AdirukkOm (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=819050&viewfull=1#post819050)
#299 un manasula pAttuththAn irukkudhu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=819464&viewfull=1#post819464)
#300 mAnguyilE poonguyilE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=819883&viewfull=1#post819883)
#301 Ey ayyA sAmy (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=820522&viewfull=1#post820522)
#302 kaRpudaiya AmbaLainga oorukkuLLE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=820524&viewfull=1#post820524)
#303 iru vizhiyin vazhiyE neeyA vandhu pOnadhu? (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=821082&viewfull=1#post821082)
#304 adi vAnmathi en pArvathi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=821865&viewfull=1#post821865)
#305 kalyANa mAlai koNdAdum peNNE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=822403&viewfull=1#post822403)
#306 guruvAyoorappA guruvAyoorappA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=823092&viewfull=1#post823092)
#307 kELadi kaNmaNi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=823538&viewfull=1#post823538)
#308 eduththu nAn vidavA en pAttai thO-thO-thO-thOzhA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=824215&viewfull=1#post824215)
#309 ellArum mAvAttakkaththukkidanum (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=824218&viewfull=1#post824218)
#310 vaikAsi mAsaththula pandhal onnu (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=824667&viewfull=1#post824667)
#311 azhagiya nadhi ena (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=825037&viewfull=1#post825037)
#312 manjakkuruvi manjakkuruvi konjappAkkudhadi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=825816&viewfull=1#post825816)
#313 aNNana vittu oru kalyANamA (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=826347&viewfull=1#post826347)
#314 chikkunnu izhukkudhu chittAnchinukku (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=826825&viewfull=1#post826825)
#315 Ey oru poonjOlai ALAnadhO (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=828185&viewfull=1#post828185)
#316 maNa mAlaiyum manjaLum soodi (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-306-புதுப்புது-அர்த்தங்கள்-songs&p=828256&viewfull=1#post828256)

app_engine
13th March 2012, 01:25 AM
#317 ராத்திரி நேரத்தில்
(அஞ்சலி, 1990 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0241'&lang=en)

'rAththiri nEraththil' from anjali

The album had 7 songs and four were by group of kids! Possibly the first such album ever in TFM to have majority of them sung by kids! The other three songs were solos by established singers - SPB / SJ / Usha Uthup doing one each and all had tremendous drum work plus lot of guitar / synth stuff.

The only song that possibly had traditional IR arrangements was anjali-anjali-anjali, with choir-like singing and terrific bass guitar score! My most fav of the album, obviously :-) This was closely followed by the terrific 'motta mAdi motta mAdi' with lovely wind instrument work (and the most interesting one on screen :wink:). 'iravu nilavu' & 'vEgham vEgham' come after that. 'something something' / 'vAnam namkku veedhi' after that.

The "technologically distorted" SPB song is the last & least preferred song of the album for me. However, due to the following factors, the album sold like hotcakes and this song too was getting played everywhere :

-terrific IR-MR combo, after the phenomenal success of agni natchaththiram
-advertised as IR's 500th movie
-all songs except the 'anjali anjali anjali' had trend-setting orchestration / drum work / electronic sounds etc

I got the cassette immediately upon arrival and it got played in the bachelor home all the time, with the neighborhood kids ageing from 3-10 having a terrific time with us. Often we took the children to town, got them ice cream etc and became so lovable to all the "colony" members (about 20 houses off of the highway, mostly occupied by employees of same company / group...most were reasonably young families and ours was the only bachelor home) :-)

Personally, I had great time listening to the cassette and also getting "engaged" in that time period :-) It was also the first movie watched after making the commitment :-)
(Unfortunately, it was a big azhugai movie - uncontrollable flood of tears the first time! Any watch later on in the small screen too typically ends up with tears for me and kEvikkEvi azhal for my wife)

sOdhA (ok ok sAdhA) song for Bala in a landmark album of IR!

app_engine
13th March 2012, 01:39 AM
Though IR had done around 40 films in Thamizh this year, it appears to be pretty lean for SPB :shock:

I've already skipped many movies(no SPB)...

Well, tomorrow's song will be very remarkable!

A milestone number!

al_gates
13th March 2012, 02:35 AM
Personally, I had great time listening to the cassette and also getting "engaged" in that time period :-) It was also the first movie watched after making the commitment :-)

Hmmm....:) Now I understand your less-than-great enthusiasm for soccer. Any other eligible bachelor from Palakkad would have frozen the ponnu parthal during Italia-90 period :)

al_gates
13th March 2012, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=app_engine;826347Like I posted many times before, it was typically like - chEran or KSRTC bus to Cbe on Sat evening, 2nd show at Cbe, then 4+ hours of musical bus journey to town, get the early morning first bus to village, spend the day at home and leave in the last bus from the village. [/QUOTE]

I must have missed it when posted before...which is the town sir???

Also I'm amazed you spend 10+ traveling just to spend 10+ hours at home. Perhaps bus journeys were a pleasure those days.

app_engine
13th March 2012, 02:54 AM
I must have missed it when posted before...which is the town sir???

Also I'm amazed you spend 10+ traveling just to spend 10+ hours at home. Perhaps bus journeys were a pleasure those days.

Dindigul (dhiNdukkal in Thamizh).

Why such a complicated travel?

-6 day work week, Saturday full day...factory env, so permission to leave early wasn't an (easily available) option - so typical time to leave was after 5 PM.
-Even if one catches a direct, express kind of bus, it would have taken > 4 hours for the not-so-great-road-ride of 170 km
-Last bus for village at 8.10 PM, taking a cab would have meant spending >10% of monthly income on just one <10 mile trip :shock:
-Even if you do all that, you would simply have to hit the bed and sleep (as the house rule was sleep before 10 PM, appA romba stricttu) :lol:

Compare that with the alternative of relaxed ride to Cbe, dinner at Lakshmi complex (or Aarvee etc) , roam around a little bit / get a couple of latest cassettes, watch 2nd show, choose buses with music to reach the town & catch the first town bus in the morning (sleep a couple of hours as necessary - which'll keep one fresh for the whole day) :-)

app_engine
13th March 2012, 02:56 AM
Hmmm....:) Now I understand your less-than-great enthusiasm for soccer. Any other eligible bachelor from Palakkad would have frozen the ponnu parthal during Italia-90 period :)

poNNu pArththal keerththal ellAm oNNum kidaiyAdhu :lol:

We've enjoyed each game of that FIFA - those that we couldn't see live (due to work) got recorded on VHS and watched...not a single one was missed :-)

genesis
13th March 2012, 03:30 AM
#317 ராத்திரி நேரத்தில்
(அஞ்சலி, 1990 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0241'&lang=en)

"Kattukkulle" from "Idhayaththai Thirudadhe" (Geetanjali in Telugu) sounds very similar to this song... Well both are MR/IR movies.

After Nayagan and Agni Natchaththiram I had become devoted MR fan... I bought cassette in the first week of release, watched the movie at the first available chance. Anjali was one good movie by MR - He was really good till Alai Payudhe and Kannaththil Muththamittal. Everything started going south after his first Tamil-Hindi venture Yuva.

Shamili became an instant star after this movie. Some "C" center directors milked her popularity by casting her as the main star. (There was one movie by Ramanarayan featuring Shamili, where a friendly snake knew typing... we in college used joke in the next movie the snake would have passed "Higher" and type faster)

groucho070
13th March 2012, 08:48 AM
He & his kids had dark features (perhaps that was the reason for his love for coal / steam engine). :lol: enna logic ithu. They are still in KL?

app_engine
13th March 2012, 04:38 PM
:lol: enna logic ithu. They are still in KL?

adhu chchummAnga :-)

Yes, they're in KL (Shoranur) :-)

V_S
13th March 2012, 08:09 PM
Yes, App, Anjali is a trendsetter that time. Never heard anything like that. When we bought the casette, we were totally surprised by the quality in singing with just kids and as you mentioned the new electronic sounds and orchestration. Still those songs are fresh like a morning dew. MR's image as director went leaps and bounds after Nayagan and AN. With lot of expectations, we went to the movie. Even though this one was not like his earlier three movies, still it was a multiple-watch for me and my friends, mainly for the songs, Prabhu and VKR. I can't watch this movie hereafter, thanks to some overacting by kids and Revathi, two word typical dialogues and even the film looked bland now, having watched it recently.

PARAMASHIVAN
13th March 2012, 08:41 PM
Raghuvaran was awesome in the movie so was the kid ! This is the Film in which SPB strained his voice and had to undergo throat operation, which opened the door for (you know who) !

app_engine
13th March 2012, 10:40 PM
MR's image as director went leaps and bounds after Nayagan and AN. With lot of expectations, we went to the movie. Even though this one was not like his earlier three movies, still it was a multiple-watch for me and my friends, mainly for the songs, Prabhu and VKR.

Like I mentioned before somewhere in the hub, I haven't watched AN until recently and I couldn't stand that movie :-( Song scenes are a torture, comedy big irritant and the otherwise story too just about average and the climax a big masAlA comedy...

Still, AN is the ALL_TIME_TOP album for any MR movie, closely followed by AP / TT (both by ARR) and then Anjali.

As a movie, Anjali is still very close to me :-) Possibly the best of MR, IMO (though I don't like the 'rAthiri nEraththil' song on screen and similar comedy graphics here and there in that movie...the E.T. imitation in vEgham vEgham for e.g....interestingly, Shankar did very similar cheap grafix in chikku bukku rayilu a couple of years later and got so much praise as India's Spielberg :lol:)

...mounarAgam & nAyakan come very close, the later because of the awesome KH (I'm not weak-hearted but not a big fan of violence / blood on-screen)...

thaLabathi comes next, again thanks to awesome Rajini.

(BTW, pagal nilavu forgotten, idhayakkOil never seen, idhayaththai thirudAthE not worth discussion)

I've watched only AP & Bombay among MR's non-IR works...loved AP, absolutely irritated with Mumbai...

The lovable ones of MR are simply too high above the output of most directors of TF -close to Mahendran levels- but he has his share of irritable ones as well.

All said, he is one awesome (possibly the best) talent in extracting stuff from both IR & ARR :thumbsup:

If anything, I'd be extraordinarily thrilled if IR gets to work with MR again, even if for a non-commerical project :-)

San_K
13th March 2012, 10:41 PM
Raghuvaran was awesome in the movie so was the kid ! This is the Film in which SPB strained his voice and had to undergo throat operation, which opened the door for (you know who) !

appO intha auto-tune kanravi ellam illa pola

app_engine
13th March 2012, 10:44 PM
I was criticizing the portrayal of kids in Anjali when arrived (too-smart-to-be-real). However, that was based on my-childhood-level-understanding and not the current situation.

I've taken a 180 deg shift on that opinion, after raising two kids :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
13th March 2012, 10:49 PM
App anna

I thought Mouna Ragam would have been your best MR movie, :roll:

Mr Chandr mouli - vOnly Karthik Possible :thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th March 2012, 10:50 PM
appO intha auto-tune kanravi ellam illa pola

Ileeng, appo apadi oru kanraviyum illa, SPB was hospitalised for months and was not able to sing for a very long time, this is where Mano picked up

app_engine
13th March 2012, 11:18 PM
I thought Mouna Ragam would have been your best MR movie, :roll:

I think this ranking business keeps changing :-)

(MR is a great movie with only the picturization of pani vizhum iravil below par)...

app_engine
13th March 2012, 11:50 PM
#318 மண்ணில் இந்தக்காதல் இன்றி
(கேளடி கண்மணி, 1990 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1662'&lang=en)

'maNNil indhakkAdhal inRi' of kELadi kaNmaNi

Very sweet number. Also a very special number because it had SPB on-screen :-) Per his wiki, he had been shown on-screen in Cho's MB tuglak for the first time in TF (1971) and here and there afterwards as well. However, KK was perhaps the first TF where he had the full-fledged role of the protagonist.

The movie was a hit and the song was immensely popular. Very sweet melody and excellent singing (the 'moochchu vidAmAl pAdal' gimmick notwithstanding). My most favourite part is the 2nd interlude - when the lead guitar ends and strings conclude the interlude, I always feel like soaring high, flying, unmaththam, ecstasy etc ! Phenomenal! (ok, enough of adjectives, words cannot describe the feel).

I haven't watched the movie - even though the audio cassette was playing almost daily in our home for many months! kaRpoora mullai onRu, nee pAthi nAn pAthi kaNNE and this song are top favourties until this day and get played every now and then on the audio systems at home and vehicles! Truly evergreen!

My Rubin house friend told me that this movie was interesting and there's a scene in which the 'cancer-patient-char-played-by-the-no-longer-baby-Anju' asks her lover to ride her on the motorcycle @100 kmph. I was stunned because around that time, it was a regular thing at our bachelor home to talk hours and hours about the bikes and recent top-speeds...crossing 100 kmph with the 100cc bike, on the Cbe-Pkd highway was considered a most-kicky-thing those days. (Unfortunately, it was also done on certain nights after -OH indulgence). In any case, the movie's director (Vasanth) had the "pulse" of the youththu of that time :-)

Though I didn't watch Anju on this movie, I happened to watch her in a Mohanlal Malayalam movie a little later (brief role as Lal's wife, gets killed) :-(

pAkka rombappAvamA irundhadhu :-(

app_engine
14th March 2012, 06:55 AM
maNNil inthakkAdhal youtube (courtesy rajsmed) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79TW7dtgEQ0&feature=fvwrel

groucho070
14th March 2012, 06:56 AM
mainly for the songs, Prabhu and VKR. I can't watch this movie hereafter, thanks to some overacting by kids and Revathi, two word typical dialogues and even the film looked bland now, having watched it recently.Nailed my feeling, V_S. Same same.

V_S
14th March 2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks grouch for endorsing it. :D

I don't know how many times I have watched kEladi KaNmaNi, mainly because I got to see SPB in main role, and especially for this song. Even though we have seen his glimpse in Manadhil Urudhi VEndum, we wanted more. I prefer MUV role better than this, now. Great movie, but lot of KB's cliches throughout which takes the interest out (We were expecting a fresh film from the debutant, vasanth). Scenes like Janakaraj and his friend discuss a story which closely relate to the story of ARR (SPB's name in the movie) and Radhika, Janakaraj's ESP scenes etc. But I loved the climax scene. App, apart from Karpoora bommai ondru and Nee paathi naan paathi Kanne, there are other two breathtaking songs, Thendral thaan thingal thaan and Thanniyila nanenjha (I long for that lazy trumpet). Added to this, one hilarious number by Raja, enna paaduvathu and the ever beautiful SJ's (sorry not HJ's :wink:) Vaaranamaayiram. Maestro brings Aandal and her love towards the Lord in front of us. It seems it was composed in a rare raagam. Overall a soundtrack to be relished forever!.

I can't forget this movie as I lost my wallet in chennai Jayapradha theatre (earlier called midland) when watching it for the first time. Luckily I got it back, after some investigation. :smile: Is Jayapradha theatre still there?

groucho070
14th March 2012, 07:48 AM
At that time, I, an early primitive sceptic, was quite sure that some editing was involved in the no-breathing technique. Of course, during concerts SPB did actually sing non-stop, though he did heave his massive physique at one point (or two) that showed he did quick breathing. The recorded one was purely edited.

V_S
14th March 2012, 08:07 AM
Yes, it is not humanly possible at all, that too it has a long charanam. Despite we believed for some time that it was true, but when we realized it can't be, we were little disappointed. I don't know why that gimmick was needed at all.

Plum
14th March 2012, 09:08 AM
Ah! Those innocent days. One of the magazine reviews(kungumam I think) - which I read precisely once in my life but still can quote, which can only happen with stuff from your teen days - mentioned "...SpB-yin moochu vidAdha paadal, naam solla ondrumillai, desiya virudhu kuzhu aavana seiya vENdum". From that day, until the NA were announced, I was convinced that Kungumam's word was gospel and the NA committee had no choice but to bow to such wise words from such unimpeachable sources as Kungumam(yeah, I said innocent days, remember?). I think Dr Rajkumar won the award that year for a quasi-classical song. Appove purinjirukkaNum what tickled award committes of that timenu but I got my bodhi maram moment about National Awards for music only 8 years later when Guru-Annamayya happened. Later in life, I got to hear Rajkumar's award winning song - very good but not really outstanding

PARAMASHIVAN
14th March 2012, 05:02 PM
Yes, it is not humanly possible at all, that too it has a long charanam. Despite we believed for some time that it was true, but when we realized it can't be, we were little disappointed. I don't know why that gimmick was needed at all.

Yes even I used to think it was real as well, till SPB him self told it was a Gimmick, having said that SPB "Almost" managed to sing without breathing in one of Live shows :clap:

Nerd
14th March 2012, 05:36 PM
Well, our bulky man wanted to break into conversation and started "innaikku pournamiyA" :lol: (It was obvious that he mistook the sun for moon :rotfl:)

Hilarious app :rotfl:

Raaththiri Neraththil - For a long long time (until the late 90s) I was thinking it was Mano who sang it. One of my least favorite SPB renditions. Paadalum ultra-modern adhu idhunnu puguzh maalai dhaan, but not a big fan of it. Film - still holds good for me. Obviously not as good as the first time. I saw half the theater (Maris 70MM I think) in tears :shock: Watched once recently and *listened* to the complete film once as well. Absolutely fantastic BG score.

And I am one of those who thought SPB really did it with mannil intha :oops:

PARAMASHIVAN
14th March 2012, 05:40 PM
One of my least favorite SPB renditions. Paadalum ultra-modern adhu idhunnu puguzh maalai dhaan, but not a big fan of it. Film

AFAIR there was no singing by SPB (I mean no words) just some funny noises, I knew it was SPB! Can never ever Mistake SPB for thilagam!

app_engine
14th March 2012, 10:07 PM
Interesting to read your personal experiences, V_Sji & Plum - on kELadi kaNmaNi.

groucho,
Me too was a sceptic from the beginning - but loved the song immensely regardless :-)

Nerd,
nanRi for reading my long stories :-)
From 1990, no long stories that are not directly related to the songs being posted :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
14th March 2012, 10:09 PM
Only One song for SPB in KK right ?

San_K
14th March 2012, 10:18 PM
#318 மண்ணில் இந்தக்காதல் இன்றி
(கேளடி கண்மணி, 1990 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1662'&lang=en)

One of very successful songs in TFM history by the most successful MD-singer combo of TFM. Whenever I listen or remember or read this song, suddenly my mind will go Povoma oorgolam song and vice-versa. Both are like twins for me. Why why why? :)

PARAMASHIVAN
14th March 2012, 10:28 PM
listen or remember or read this song, suddenly my mind will go Povoma oorgolam song and vice-versa. Both are like twins for me. Why why why? :)

Er May be because Both are by IR and SPB :)

app_engine
14th March 2012, 10:29 PM
Only One song for SPB in KK right ?

There's this vAraNam Ayiram (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1667'&lang=en)on thiraippAdal...

I've heard only the SJ version before - one with a melody different from this, possibly IR's own ; the SPB version may be the traditional one...

PARAMASHIVAN
14th March 2012, 10:40 PM
There's this vAraNam Ayiram (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1667'&lang=en)on thiraippAdal...

I've heard only the SJ version before - one with a melody different from this, possibly IR's own ; the SPB version may be the traditional one...

ah yes ,. how could I miss that one ? :banghead:

Yes you are right, on the Cassette they Had SPB Version as well as SJ, but in the movie IIRC it was just SJ

PARAMASHIVAN
14th March 2012, 10:43 PM
IS this the SPB one or SJ one? (Audio disabled in the office)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7c88Z8-U1e0

app_engine
14th March 2012, 11:05 PM
#319 ரம்பம்பம் ஆரம்பம் பம்பம்பம் பேரின்பம்
(மைக்கேல் மதன, காம, ராஜன் - 1990 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2053'&lang=en)

'rambambam Arambam' of MMKR

Funny to see KSC singing 'pam' 'pam' while the naughty SPB correctly using the 'B'. (And Shankar smartly used the song in the pinnazhagu kAttum ragging scene of Thamizh 3 idiots :lol2:). One of those nice occasions when on-screen happenings perfectly matched the brilliance of the song! Credit goes to the repeat team of A-S :clap: :-) The only new entrant is Kushboo - who too did a very enjoyable role with Kamal in the movie. Right from the fire-fighting scene to the kadankAran scene, whAtta flow!

Actually, though there are 4 Kamals, Raju is the real movie hero (or the better of the four).

How?

-2 duets for Raju (this one & pEru vachchAlum) compared to only one each of the cupid characters.
-Also, attched to the bigger of the herOinis of that time.
-Also, the only one fighttu given, and one of the two car heroics allotted.
-Even among the two comedian roles, only Raju was based on smart performance (while the Palakkadan was more by design :wink:).

Well, this is based on my weird janaranjaga logic :-) The movie was extremely popular in the bachelor home - beembAi beembAi getting used all the time (as also 'idhellAm apdiyE', 'wait a nimit' etc.) High & long term impact on youngsters of 1990! The most watched movie after coming to U.S. (That VHS is now unusable, I should get a DVD now).

No need to describe about the popularity of the song :-)

One more reason to like Raju - his 'nAdaka acting' thingy & the costume for rambambam takes me back to my first-ever stage appearance during elementary school days. The make-up, lip-stick, hat to show as amerikkan etc that the teachers did to show me as T A Edison. Though it was just a role of one minute dialog in the whole 10 minute show of many kids acting as various scientists, it had a profound effect on me - of loving TAE lifelong.

(Even now, when I visit the Greenfield village, TAE's filament lab / workshop is the favourite destination for me...I can in a tiny way imagine how each character the famous artists played in their lives would have impacted them, e.g. Sivaji on VCG)...

al_gates
15th March 2012, 12:29 AM
app, did you name your dog as Diamond too? :)

genesis
15th March 2012, 03:57 AM
Actually, though there are 4 Kamals, Raju is the real movie hero (or the better of the four).

How?

-2 duets for Raju (this one & pEru vachchAlum) compared to only one each of the cupid characters.
-Also, attched to the bigger of the herOinis of that time.
-Also, the only one fighttu given, and one of the two car heroics allotted.
-Even among the two comedian roles, only Raju was based on smart performance (while the Palakkadan was more by design :wink:).

I beg to differ.

Madhan is the hero. The main story starts with his arrival... Other 3 come in to the story as a part of his problem or to help him. He is the only one who has villains. Other do not have any serious trouble makers.

OTOH, Kameshwaran is my favorite character. The character may be by design - but Kamal's look well suited this character and his acting was very authentic.

I also watched this movie so many many times... never get bored (I do not think I watched any other movie so many times). This movie has attained cult status among TF lovers. However at the time of release, this movie did not do so well.

Did they ever dub MMKR in Telugu?

app_engine
15th March 2012, 07:14 AM
IS this the SPB one or SJ one? (Audio disabled in the office)

SJ version :-)

app_engine
15th March 2012, 07:16 AM
app, did you name your dog as Diamond too? :)

No pet in recent times...the one during school days was called 'taimoor' :lol2:

app_engine
15th March 2012, 07:19 AM
He is the only one who has villains.

However, it is Raju who beats them up and saves Madhan :-) (dupe pOttadhukku kAsA?nnu kEppAr)

groucho070
15th March 2012, 07:27 AM
Film centres around Madhan, therefore making him the protagonist. But actual-A pArtha, the film is about the 4 fellows, so ellOrumE hero-thAn. Heck the title has all of their name, I say. But Tamil philim standard padi parthA, yes, Raju is the hero. My fav of the four, by the way. He is the only decent guy among the four. Madhan is snobbish and arrogant. Michael, well, bad upbringing. Kameshwaran is too principled always picking fight with dad, even laughing at him when poor dad slips and falls. Raju, on the other hand is an innocent feller, had to resort to cheating no thanks to his debt problem. Always relatable.

Plum
15th March 2012, 08:12 AM
In telugu, michaelmadanakamaraju. So, raju actually got into the titles.

app_engine
15th March 2012, 06:08 PM
Raju, on the other hand is an innocent feller, had to resort to cheating no thanks to his debt problem. Always relatable.

Strictly speaking, it's only "acting as Madhan as per Madhan's request" and not cheating :-)

Bala (Karthik)
15th March 2012, 07:32 PM
For a moment i was wondering why only "Rathiri Nerathil" is being discussed from Anjali :lol: :oops:

Weakest in the album but by no means weak in absolute terms. SPB's strained vocals is a strain to us also but superb orchestration ("swaying" violins in the charanams :musicsmile: )

V_S
15th March 2012, 08:00 PM
SPB in that "watery-wavering" voice is the one we used to enjoy those days. auto-tune debut? Again only when needed and only when the movie concept and situation demanded. Very different to hear that those days.

PARAMASHIVAN
15th March 2012, 08:12 PM
SPB in that "watery-wavering" voice is the one we used to enjoy those days. auto-tune debut? Again only when needed and only when the movie concept and situation demanded. Very different to hear that those days.

I liked that too, IIRC there was another song by SPB +SJ in a similar manner called "pournamai nilavile ..." some thing along this line, here SPB 's lines were "zimbabo zimba zimbabo zimba" :lol: Can some one give more details about this song pls ?

Thanks

app_engine
15th March 2012, 11:58 PM
#320 பாக்கு வெத்தல போட்டேன் பத்தல, பொண்ணு பாத்ததாலே
(மை டியர் மார்த்தாண்டன் , 1990) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2159'&lang=en)

pAkku veththala pOttEn paththala of MDM

thiraippadal, rakkamma, tamilxprez blogspot - all these sites wrongly report this song to be sung by Mano & Janaki (possibly one person's error copied by others ; or the CD has this kind of nonsense credits :mad:). A song very clearly by SPB & the (hated 'dagudu-dugudu' singing) kuzhuvinar. A song reasonably popular those days and a big personal favourite to me, to this day! Lot of loud playback time at the bachelor home for this song as well as all the MDM songs (except the 'azhagu nilavu sirikka maRandhadhE').

Despite listening it to this so many times, I don't remember discussing about the meaning of the first two lines - with anyone at any point of time :shock: Now that I'm making an exclusive post about this song, just dwelt upon it a few minutes and it didn't make any sense to me at all. Why would the pAkku veththala becomes insufficient to this fellow simbly because he found a girl? :confused: (Does veththala pAkku happen to be so much intoxicating on a normal basis - me no experience so can't tell)...

In any case, it is worthwhile to have a mini discussion about this 'parisam pOduthal' thingy here:-) While the simplified translation of this could be 'betrothel / engagement', I don't think parisam pOduthal and betrothel are exactly the same things.

Why? Well, before I explain with my very first experience of attending a 'parisam pOduthal', let me quote some linguistic kAlachchuvadu article (http://www.kalachuvadu.com/issue-86/katturai02.asp) here which seems to indicate the same :

தமிழிலிருந்தும் ஓரிரு உதாரணங்களைப் பார்க்கலாம். 'பரிசம் போடுதல்', 'சீர்வரிசை' ஆகிய சொற்களை ஆங்கிலத்தில் மொழிபெயர்த்துவிட முடியாது. காரணம், இந்தச் சொற்கள் பண்பாட்டின் வெளிப்பாடுகள். அடிக்குறிப்புப் போடாமல் ஆங்கிலத்தில் இச்சொற்களைப் புரியவைக்க முடியாது. காரணம், பண்பாடுகளில் காணப்படும் வேறுபாடுகள்.

Now, my very first attending of a 'parisam pOduthal' was that of my 6th grade classmate's elder sis & their dad was my dad's classmate, lived in a farm which was about 5 miles from where we lived. We all went to the function, had lunch and then the adults started the 'parisam pOduthal'.

It was not straight equivalent of 'nichchaya thAmboolam' where everything had been agreed upon and the function becoming a mere formality. That way, it's not 'engagement' or 'betrothel'. Neither it is a 'peN pArkkal' which is totally preliminary.

It's a little "crude form" of nichchyadhArththam - in Kerala they call it 'oRappikkal' (means, "making sure"). It's not just a 'sign-up' ceremony but ALSO a detailed discussion of all 'kodukkal-vAngals-nittie-gritties' :shock:

That first function that I attended was quite nasty, lasted 3 hours or so - with the "useless fellows" (as per me & my classmate) discussing over 'eththanai pavun pOduveenga - orE poNNu thAnE' etc :oops:

genesis
16th March 2012, 02:32 AM
In any case, it is worthwhile to have a mini discussion about this 'parisam pOduthal' thingy here While the simplified translation of this could be 'betrothel / engagement', I don't think parisam pOduthal and betrothel are exactly the same things.

பரிசம் என்றல் என்ன? அதை ஏன் "போட" வேண்டும்? யாராவது கொஞ்சம் விளக்க முடியுமா?

V_S
16th March 2012, 03:42 AM
#320 பாக்கு வெத்தல போட்டேன் பத்தல, பொண்ணு பாத்ததாலே (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2159'&lang=en)

Why would the pAkku veththala becomes insufficient to this fellow simbly because he found a girl? :confused: (Does veththala pAkku happen to be so much intoxicating on a normal basis - me no experience so can't tell)...

Sir, I think we have to read that as 'zarda' பாக்கு வெத்தல போட்டேன் பத்தல, பொண்ணு பாத்ததாலே. I think lyricist is saying the kick in 'zarda paan' is nothing after I saw this girl. :wink:
Good post on 'parisam pOduthal'. :smile:

app_engine
16th March 2012, 04:03 AM
பரிசம் என்றல் என்ன? அதை ஏன் "போட" வேண்டும்? யாராவது கொஞ்சம் விளக்க முடியுமா?

Let me guess (of course, a wild one) :-)

'parisam' could be another term for 'parisu' and meant the "bride price" in the olden days when getting a girl (as wife) was a precious thingy. It could have started as the groom's family "throwing" gifts to win over the girl...

(Of course, over a period things became thalai keezh and varadhatchanai came up..I hope, with the rate in which female infanticides happening in India, the situation will reverse again)

app_engine
16th March 2012, 04:05 AM
welcome to the thread, rajsmed!

ungaL sEvai thodarattum!

app_engine
16th March 2012, 04:07 AM
nanRi, V_Sji!

Interesting 'zardA' explanation :-) Once again, no experience :oops:

app_engine
16th March 2012, 08:40 AM
song from yesterday, rambambam - on youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AccocNTJSe4

app_engine
16th March 2012, 08:43 AM
pAkku veththala youtube :

(even this poster says singers are Mano & SJ - enna kodumai ayyA :mad:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EYwORDMGo

app_engine
16th March 2012, 08:47 AM
Another lame question on the lyrics of pAkku veththalai :

'motta mAdi kettuppOchchu' ...does the mottamAdi mean skull (brain) or something else?

(BTW, Goundar also dances in this song and one of the 'dugudu dagudu' sounding fellows ; there's also Kushboo in the second stanza :shock:)

equanimus
16th March 2012, 02:44 PM
Film centres around Madhan, therefore making him the protagonist. But actual-A pArtha, the film is about the 4 fellows, so ellOrumE hero-thAn. Heck the title has all of their name, I say. But Tamil philim standard padi parthA, yes, Raju is the hero. My fav of the four, by the way. He is the only decent guy among the four. Madhan is snobbish and arrogant. Michael, well, bad upbringing. Kameshwaran is too principled always picking fight with dad, even laughing at him when poor dad slips and falls. Raju, on the other hand is an innocent feller, had to resort to cheating no thanks to his debt problem. Always relatable.Ha ha ha ha ha! :lol:

equanimus
16th March 2012, 03:00 PM
Groucho,
Lovely one-line descriptions of the characters! And a favourite moment, that one with Kameshwaran and Mani Iyer. The way the two keep picking on each other, the small pleasures they get out of each other's little failures. Hilarious. And yeah, Raju is the archetypal Tamil film hero in the film. Also, in general, such a warm presence, a firefighter by profession, an artist at heart, incidentally an impersonator, Chaplinesque lover boy.

groucho070
16th March 2012, 03:05 PM
equa :thumbsup: chop the movie up and serve me any piece at any moment, non-chronologically, and I will still enjoy it. It's ageing like wine.

PARAMASHIVAN
16th March 2012, 04:03 PM
pAkku veththala youtube :

(even this poster says singers are Mano & SJ - enna kodumai ayyA :mad:)

Obviously SPB. Wiki

Tracklist[1]
No. Title Lyrics Singer(s) Length
1. "Oh Alagu Nilavu" Pirai Sudan Mano
2. "Aaduthu Paar" Gangai Amaran
3. "Illavattam Kai thattum" Vaali S.P.Balasubramaniam, S. Janaki
4. "Kalyana Mapillaikku" Gangai Amaran
5. "My dear Marthandan" Gangai Amaran Illayaraja
6. "Oh maharaja" Gangai Amaran
7. "Paakku Vethala" Vaali S.P.Balasubramaniam
8. "Satham Varamal" Vaali Mano, Chitra
9. "Uttalakadi" Gangai Amaran Gangai Amaran, S.P.Balasubramaniam

app_engine
16th March 2012, 08:49 PM
Pleasantly surprised to see equa in this thread :-)

nalvaravu sir!

And yeah, Raju is the archetypal Tamil film hero in the film. Also, in general, such a warm presence, a firefighter by profession, an artist at heart, incidentally an impersonator, Chaplinesque lover boy.

:exactly:

In a small way, he is an extension of the nettai aboorva sahOdharar (even the name is rAj+). chennai bAshai, appAviththanam, Attam-pAttam-vEsham-romance-comedy etc

genesis
16th March 2012, 10:12 PM
Pleasantly surprised to see equa in this thread :-)

:exactly:

In a small way, he is an extension of the nettai aboorva sahOdharar (even the name is rAj+). chennai bAshai, appAviththanam, Attam-pAttam-vEsham-romance-comedy etc

Exactly:

Kamal has done the Raju character in many movies... Kameshwaran is unique. Kameshwaran visting Thiripurasundari's house is the best scene in the movie. Kamal-Urvashi chemistry is excellent in this scene. Also Sundari Neeyum (bi-lingual?) remains the my most favorite song from this movie.

app_engine
16th March 2012, 10:45 PM
#321 உட்டாலக்கடி பட்டான கொடி மொட்டான கிளியே
(மை டியர் மார்த்தாண்டன் , 1990 , கங்கை அமரனுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2161'&lang=en)

uttAlakkadi of MDM

It's not a duet with GA or anything like that, GA sings only in the beginning - the pallavi lines with chords & the string-plucking instrument (mandolin? bulbul tarang? banjo?) but no drums. What follows is a thunderous arrival of drums and grand prelude before SPB starts mesmerizing us!

I've posted in the last song thread almost a year back that this song is a demo / quintessential example of how a film song should be sung! IMO, all male playback singers of present TF field will have to listen to this number each morning before they start for work (i.e. if they want to succeed). I don't want to explain the details - but if someone disagrees with me, I would request him / her to please listen to the song one more time, closely paying attention to the little details that SPB packs into this number! (As a sample, the hurried but powerful 'appA' after the 'kattilil iNangippAduththA')...

I watched the youtube last night - has some interesting lighting (fire) stuff but otherwise typical group dance. By and large, vizhalukku iRaiththa neer, despite having Pratap Pothen as director. (I used to think those days that GA was the director, seeing how many songs has his voice listed...recently realized it's the musically stylish guy...)

San_K
16th March 2012, 10:48 PM
Obviously SPB. Wiki

Tracklist[1]
No. Title Lyrics Singer(s) Length
1. "Oh Alagu Nilavu" Pirai Sudan Mano
2. "Aaduthu Paar" Gangai Amaran
3. "Illavattam Kai thattum" Vaali S.P.Balasubramaniam, S. Janaki
4. "Kalyana Mapillaikku" Gangai Amaran
5. "My dear Marthandan" Gangai Amaran Illayaraja
6. "Oh maharaja" Gangai Amaran
7. "Paakku Vethala" Vaali S.P.Balasubramaniam
8. "Satham Varamal" Vaali Mano, Chitra
9. "Uttalakadi" Gangai Amaran Gangai Amaran, S.P.Balasubramaniam

Oh! just realised. My most favourite song of this fabulous album is sung by Mano :)

Plum
16th March 2012, 10:52 PM
Personal connection: Urvashi's house in mmkr is my 3rd standard teacher's - in Triplicane.

app_engine
16th March 2012, 11:21 PM
Also Sundari Neeyum (bi-lingual?) remains the my most favorite song from this movie.

While it's very difficult for me to pick the musically favourite one between the three (sundari, rambambam & pEru vachchAlum), the top favourite on screen is pEru vachchAlum. It's incredible!

genesis
16th March 2012, 11:23 PM
#322 உட்டாலக்கடி பட்டான கொடி மொட்டான கிளியே
(மை டியர் மார்த்தாண்டன் , 1990 , கங்கை அமரனுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2161'&lang=en)

I've posted in the last song thread almost a year back that this song is a demo / quintessential example of how a film song should be sung! IMO, all male playback singers of present TF field will have to listen to this number each morning before they start for work (i.e. if they want to succeed). I don't want to explain the details - but if someone disagrees with me, I would request him / her to please listen to the song one more time, closely paying attention to the little details that SPB packs into this number! (As a sample, the hurried but powerful 'appA' after the 'kattilil iNangippAduththA')...

100% True. I am really amazed how SPB sings every song with the same enthu....