PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

app_engine
9th February 2012, 01:32 AM
#284 ராஜா கைய வச்சா அது ராங்காப் போனதில்லே
(அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், 1989 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0095'&lang=en)

Let's start the year 1989 with a bang (cymbal crash / drum roll / trumpets) - the Kamalahasan wonder called 'apoorva sagOdhararkaL' that featured all five songs by SPB. (Ofcourse, there is this 'thukkiriththanamA' version of today's song by KH that got played on-screen ; but my personal recording had the SPB version ; same is in the thiraippAdal link above). The songs were huge hits then and continue to be popular even now.

The title score (theme BGM) too is as much popular. Sometime back veteran DF-er Shankar had a special post on that in dhool.com (http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5042)! What a sweet, hair-raising piece and how nicely it contributed to the dynamics of the story telling! The movie had one of the finest screenplays ever in TF, with the right mix of all kinds of emotions / masAlA elements supported by excellent acting and technical crew! No wonder it was a success in both south & north (i.e. as the Hindi dubbed 'appu rAjA').

I've watched this movie a few times in a theater that was relatively new in the town (adjacent to the private bus stand of Palakkad) but non-a/c and without much standards. Slightly better sound equipment than the old "New-Devidurga" theater but the loudness levels were bayamuRuththals in general (enjoyable for a movie like A-S, however). The title score, when the boat sails and flute rules, was absolute mayirkoochcheridhal / kaN kalangaL and emotional drain!

Kamal dancing with the "now-obsolete-Standard-2000-cars-and-possibly-extinct-factory" is great fun to watch! Obviously, it brings to one the memories of one's own "factory" days - though the electronics assembly line / testing kind of factory had very few things in common with a huge engg / car mfg kind of setup. One thing common with Kamal's song and our running theme is ofcourse makaLir and let me get into the continuation from last post :-)

After a few changes, I landed in a department with no young ladies but many young boys who always kept complaining about "akkarai pachchai" (i.e. every other dept having beauties). Their pulambals were perhaps heard by the personnel dept who decided to send half a dozen newbies to the shopfloor, by the end of my first year. Absolutely disappointing set - all averaging below 5 feet & say 40 kg's :lol: On top of it, pAvam nAdan faces - so, the boys decided to nickname them as 'soldering iron', 'money purse' 'elikkutti' etc to tide over their disappointment. (All were pre-degree i.e. +2 pass/fail levels, struggled to learn the work and created much trouble that way as well).

Well, as time went on, these females acquired some weight / make-up / fashions / manners etc and some even managed to attract a couple of guys (one colleague had an accident with his new 100cc suzuki, near the factrory gate, when joLLufying the poonaikkaNNu 'soldering iron' and had to spend a lot of money on repair :lol2:). There was no status change for me for many months but trouble started during lunchtime one day.

Workers had a fixed time lunch (45 min starting either 12 or 12.30 as scheduled) while engineers had some flexibility (anytime between 12 & 2) and mine was typically at 1 with other boys...this particular day, others left at 12 but I had some troubleshooting and was engrossed around 12:45 when this "arai-dozen" returned after lunch with much laughter (needed only 15 min for lunch and the remaining 30 minute arattai was a usual thingy for them).

Cutting the long story short, I was shocked to learn that the least-lookable-of-the-arai-dozen (dark, illikkaNNu, ollippoNNu etc) was staring at me non-stop and wasn't taking part in their conversation. A little embarassed, I moved around a bit among the expensive imported equipments ( andhakkAlaththu lakhs worth stuff, see the $ rate here (http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/etc/USDpages.pdf)) but her stair followed. I even managed to go beyond a point where she had to shift the position and she did :shock: Confirmed that she was looking at me but I wasn't sure whether there was anything odd with me...same time, there was this minor kuRukuRuppu too, but my usual stiffness remained and pushed me to leave for lunch without solving the technical problem...

(thodarum)

(Many years later, when accidentally watching "haridas" on TV, I found that the actress T R Rajakumari has close resemblances to this girl...let me post a pic of that actress here...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b4/Trrajakumari.jpg/200px-Trrajakumari.jpg)

baroque
9th February 2012, 03:54 AM
Raja kaiya vecha..... ilayaraja's music marvel, :thumbsup:

Apoorva sagodharargal is a stunning work.

high energy music break for me!

RockNroll, pathos etc...Bala dazzles in Ilayaraja's music.

Who is the lyricist for this song?
காரையும், பெண்ணையும் ஒத்தி எழுதி இருக்கு.:)
thanks, App_eng.:ty:

vinatha.

Plum
9th February 2012, 05:25 AM
Ofcourse it is sycophant supreme rangarajan a.k.a vaali

app_engine
9th February 2012, 08:37 AM
welcome, baroque!

rAjA kaiya vachchA youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTjlA5-RtTs&feature=related

groucho070
9th February 2012, 09:37 AM
-Like Keralites' imitation of KJY by growing beard, many TN youngsters tried beard / short hair after Sathya Kamal (one of my b-i-l's was part of them as per my wife) :-)Confession time. Cropped my hair too short (innum thAdi mulusa valarAtha time), and when inquired at home, I said I slept off and blamed the drunk barber.

BTW, the thread has hit the 300th page :clap:If I catch anyone with hat here, I'll take it off for you mate. Congratulations.

groucho070
9th February 2012, 09:41 AM
(Many years later, when accidentally watching "haridas" on TV, I found that the actress T R Rajakumari has close resemblances to this girl...let me post a pic of that actress here...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b4/Trrajakumari.jpg/200px-Trrajakumari.jpg)Holy Manohara, Batman, I always thought she was a fine looking lady back then. She was in Haridas too eh?

RR
9th February 2012, 10:18 AM
(thodarum)
app, your biographic serial - with one-sided romance thrown in - is getting very interesting. Looking forward to the next part. Appadiye andha ponnu sight adicha payyan photo-vum podunga.

baroque
9th February 2012, 10:58 AM
:-D... glad I returned tonight to this thread.

this afternoon, I just enjoyed the composition, without reading App_eng's personal kahani :)...fun!

oh! the lyrics by Vaali. thanks, Plum.

Raja kaiya vechaa.... pouring violin, foot tapping drum rolls, trumpets, pauses add more pleasure! mega music indeed!

Repeat repeat repeat .... manasu aasai theerara varaikkum!

This album is a IR-SPB feast, app_eng.

vinatha.

PARAMASHIVAN
9th February 2012, 03:57 PM
Er, I only heard the Kamal version of Raja kayai vacha, not SPB version :confused2:

Plum
9th February 2012, 04:02 PM
TR Rajakumari - kanavu kanni of the 40s iLaignars. According to app-ar(who no doubt was a sundarar going by his life-story of every other Kerala vanithai sight adichufying him;-) ), her look-alike is the least beautiful among the least beautiful batch in his office. Hmmm...manushan vAzhkaila neRaiyavE rasichurukkAr...

PARAMASHIVAN
9th February 2012, 04:12 PM
TR Rajakumari - kanavu kanni of the 40s iLaignars. According to app-ar(who no doubt was a sundarar going by his life-story of every other Kerala vanithai sight adichufying him;-) ), her look-alike is the least beautiful among the least beautiful batch in his office. Hmmm...manushan vAzhkaila neRaiyavE rasichurukkAr...

Flau AnEh

Thaangal kooruvathai vaithu paarthal App anna ku sumar oru 65 vaysu irukum pOla :lol2:

Joking App anna :)

V_S
9th February 2012, 08:34 PM
App,
Suspense Novel mathiri at the right place when we wanted to read more, 'thodarum' nu mudichiteenga. :smile: I agree with RR and Plum. Very nice and interesting to hear your nostalgia and this is a special one.

genesis
9th February 2012, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=app_engine;812801]#283 வளையோசை கலகலகலவென கவிதைகள் படிக்குது
குளுகுளு தென்றல் காற்றும் வீசுது
(சத்யா, 1988 , லதா மங்கேஷ்கருடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3246'&lang=en)

Shenbagame - Raja's tribute to Asha!!

Valai Osai - Raja's tribute to great Lata!! (Isn't the Lata's first song with Raja?) - Though I wish she had sung a little bit early. If PS sounds like akka of SPB for app_engine, LM sounds like SPB's paati for me.

Compared to the 80s, the current generation of NI singers' Tamil pronunciation has become much better!! (Thanks to the technology?!)

PARAMASHIVAN
9th February 2012, 10:16 PM
LM sounds like SPB's paati for me.
she sounds like SPB's mummy. SPB ku ever youthfull voice na, inthe problem irunthE thaan theerum :)

Compared to the 80s, the current generation of NI singers' Tamil pronunciation has become much better!! (Thanks to the technology?!)

:shock: :shock: Have you forgotten Udit Narayan? :shock:

PARAMASHIVAN
9th February 2012, 10:17 PM
AFAIK, Before the Arrival of ARR , only 2 Northie Wallahs were singinig in TFM, (LM and AB) :roll:

app_engine
9th February 2012, 10:20 PM
I said I slept off and blamed the drunk barber.

:rotfl:

nanRi, groucho, for the kind words!

BTW, I've found out yesterday that TRR acted in Manohara (never seen the movie). Is she the famed 'vasantha sEnA'? In Haridas, she had the "other woman" role I think. (Watched only for a short while, it had simply too many songs and hardly any dialogs)...

app_engine
9th February 2012, 10:25 PM
nanRi RR sir!

Appadiye andha payyan photo-vum podunga.

hi-hi (vazhiyal), romba vekkamA irukkunga (+10 kg from 1988 levels, 75% gray etc)...anyways, I'll enable profile pic for the days of A-S posts and then remove :-)

app_engine
9th February 2012, 10:28 PM
According to app-ar(who no doubt was a sundarar ...

:rotfl:

vAsthavaththil, neer thAn hub-bin "mahA app-ar" (nAvukkarasar, lawyer :wink:)...app_engine ellAm andha vishayaththil jujubi, vAyillAppoochchi...

BTW, 'sundharam' is in the eyes of pAkkiRavanga...reduce 23 yrs of age & 10 kg of weight from the profile picture and decide :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
9th February 2012, 10:33 PM
BTW, 'sundharam' is in the eyes of pAkkiRavanga...reduce 23 yrs of age & 10 kg of weight from the profile picture and decide :-)

Oh unga photo poda pogureengala ( I mean in ur profile) Podunga :)

app_engine
9th February 2012, 10:38 PM
Oh unga photo poda pogureengala ( I mean in ur profile) Podunga :)

It's placed in the profile (BTW, I don't want to show the moonji in every post :lol2:)

BTW, I should be hitting 50 in 3 years, so no need to guess :-)

app_engine
9th February 2012, 10:39 PM
nanRi V_Sji, for the kind words:-)

Suspense Novel mathiri at the right place when we wanted to read more, 'thodarum' nu mudichiteenga.

A-S'la innum nAlu song irukkE...so, I'll have to partition the kathai into 4 more parts...

app_engine
9th February 2012, 10:42 PM
If PS sounds like akka of SPB for app_engine, LM sounds like SPB's paati for me.

:rotfl2:

Where is Usha akkA?

PARAMASHIVAN
9th February 2012, 10:53 PM
It's placed in the profile (BTW, I don't want to show the moonji in every post :lol2:)
Oh Ok PathutEn, you look younger for ur age :) BTW, ungala paathi Jollu party mathiri theriyaliE :lol2: :lol2:

app_engine
9th February 2012, 11:01 PM
dig

you look younger for ur age

'anju vayasuppoNNa schoolla vidaRa ALukku idhu avasiyam'nu solli recently wife "colored" me for the first time, that's the effectu...

BTW, ungala paathi Jollu party mathiri theriyaliE nAn eppa appadi sonnEn :confused: In any case, looks can be deceptive...

end-dig

app_engine
10th February 2012, 12:47 AM
#285 அண்ணாத்த ஆடுறார் ஒத்திக்கோ ஒத்திக்கோ
(அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், 1989) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0092'&lang=en)

aNNAththa AduRAr...

Everyone on top form in this song - rAsA, SPB, Kamal, Singeetham (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singeetam_Srinivasa_Rao) (yes, I always give him due credit and I think KH learnt a thing or two from him...remember Singeetham won NA in 1973 for 'thikkARRa pArvathi', much before directing KH) and even Achchi, with SPB being first among the equals - ennA oru enthu and thuLLal in this song!

From the morphing moments to the arrest, this song is quite arresting on screen. Ofcourse, a delight to listen on audio as well! It was really hilarious to watch the police station scene that follows - Kamal, Janagaraj & Sivaji in extreme form there. I doubt if any average youngster of that time failed to use the 'dheivamE' exclamation on a day-to-day basis. Because the Appu character had the uniqueness of being dwarf and thus stole all the limelight, the brilliant Raja character didn't get noticed enough, IMHO. It was a terrific portrayal by Kamal and thoroughly enjoyable on every revisit!

This song is a "new rhythm / new sounds" delight, even though rAsA gets into some typical shenoy moments here and there. The other techie departments (costume, choreo etc) need to be praised as well as everything about this movie was out of ordinary, a big leap from what TF was prior. Well, Kamal gets triple credits (double act hero, screenplay writer & producer) for this milestone movie! The way in which they paid attention to details (in general) was arresting too - for e.g. the character name of Delhi Ganesh - "Francis Anbarasu" :lol2: The TN-ised version of churchgoers' names was always a fun-topic with the bachelors in my new home (moved in with a few younger boys by the end of 1989) and every such detail got nicely embedded by the team in this movie!

Jumping back into the shopfloor story - like I mentioned in the beginning, the confused "relationship" began. That of each looking at the other's eyes for considerably long time. Why confused? Because there was no romance. Neither there was siblingness. Nor friendship. Nothing professional or "gender-attraction" stuff either, as none other than eyes were involved. Whether people can believe it or not, that was the fact - not even once the "gender-defining-avayavangaL" were paid serious attention (not that they were prominent either).

Then why were those mutual pArvaipparimARRangaL (rather pArvai 'vizhungal'kaL)? To this day I can't explain and my mind was confused then too as to why I was thinking about such exchange even hours after work - say while listening to rAsA songs in the bed later or my favourite vaishAka sandhyE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?470-Malayalam-Film-Music&p=813673&viewfull=1#post813673)for the nth time (over a period of time, memories related to her have become synonymous with this song)! If I move my eyes away from hers and look at the face or the person, she was still unattractive but once the eyes got locked together, there was no escape - it was like magic :lol2:

Looking back, I think it was possibly the overpowering of "logical thinking" built-in my brain (commitment to parents, sticking to norms / ozhukkam, not hurting others, no damage to hearts etc) over simple emotions that stalled doing anything further - like talking to each other or getting into more trouble. Either way, the status quo went on for months -with minor surprises here and there (e.g. when I feel someone is watching me in a bus stop and look around, she'll be found in the window seat of a passing bus).

Occasionally, I crossed the Lakshman-rEkha for some kuRumbu, all the while careful not to cause any damage to her or me. (Like I mentioned before, personnel dept was atrocious there and even a gossip in the workplace would have meant termination for her and it would have been sad with a drunkard dad, sick mom and a couple of younger siblings, as I found out).

So, what were the kuRumbu acts (nothing compared to what people are generally capable of).

1. I mailed a picture card to her :shock: Wait a minute, I also mailed cards to everyone in the department :rotfl: Ofcourse, to the work address. None had the from name, most had "well-wisher" "friend" kind of nicknames and hers had "Guess who". Everyone got a Vidhan soudha or Lal Bagh or Cubban Park kind of picture that I've taken but only she got my special "morning sun" picture :-)

2. While still in lodge, had a kerosene stuff (indulged in cooking for a few months) and prepared gulAb jAmun for the first time in life, with the "ready mix". Due to non-experience, I tried frying the balls in pure ghee that pongified and killed the stove once for all. However, the jAmuns were done by then and were extremely tasty. Ofcourse I distributed it to all the people at work (thru the head of girls) but there was an intended target :-) Interestingly, though there had been no specific targets afterwards, to this day, it has become my practice to make GJ for workplace mates and I lost count how many times I've done it here in US too :-)

By the end of 1989, I had my motorbike and had to give up the "buscapades" but a different avenue was open now...(thodarum)

baroque
10th February 2012, 03:25 AM
looking good, app_eng

ooh.... app_eng, for some girl out there, you are

எங்கேயோ பார்த்த முகம்....இரு விழி மேடையில் எழுதிய ஓவியம்.....! :-D

avanga hubby vandhu, santhoshamaa settle aayirundhaalum, your face always in her memory.

Wonderful, app_eng, appadidhaaney namba grow aagarom.

thanks.... will return for your pick of the day!
vinatha.

baroque
10th February 2012, 04:19 AM
Indeed rhythmic delight with drums, tabla and all from Raja....annaathe aaduraar.....

Only S.P.B possible!

romba aacharyamaa illai, even for Kamal, tfmusic stopped using Bala early of this decade.:roll:

pammal sambandham, pancha thandhiram, vasool raja appdi ippadinnu padangal vandhu erukku,
oru paattavadhu aasaiyaa vangi vaichu kekkanumnnu erukka paarunga!:roll:

simran affair rumor song onnu, I remember, ennoda kadhal endru...:fatigue:

I am not buying kasu koduthu idhellam.

Grocery shopping panninaa, free DVD rental, when my nephews brought, they watched.

vinatha.

V_S
10th February 2012, 05:24 AM
Great going App. :thumbsup: I loved the way you distributed the cards and sweets. :smile:
On the movie front, I think Crazy Mohan-Kamal great combo started with this film right?

jaiganes
10th February 2012, 08:09 AM
Great going App. :thumbsup: I loved the way you distributed the cards and sweets. :smile:
On the movie front, I think Crazy Mohan-Kamal great combo started with this film right?
Yes.. The original story screenplay of the movie had been a total wreck. Kamal sought out crazy and on a car drive from
chennai to pondicherry, the entire screenplay was arrived at by kamal and crazy..

V_S
10th February 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks Jai. :smile: Wow! entire screenplay written on a car drive, that too within 3 hours? Unbelievable! Very sharp and brilliant guys! :notworthy:

baroque
10th February 2012, 11:41 AM
Give me that monster rhythmic delight, :thumbsup: one more time tonight before I finish my kitchen works, app_eng!

Behag delight hey oraayiram.... meendum kokila, kettundu vandhen while driving tonight,

What a ullam kavar kalvan, SPB with Ilayaraja's bass guitar, flute, smooth singing, nature calls!:musicsmile:

தலைவன், காதல் பேரரசன் etc..
எல்லாமே S .P .பாலசுப்ரமணியன் தான்http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/smilies/smokesmirk.gif

vinatha.

RR
10th February 2012, 11:41 AM
Then why were those mutual pArvaipparimARRangaL (rather pArvai 'vizhungal'kaL)? To this day I can't explain and my mind was confused then too as to why I was thinking about such exchange even hours after work - say while listening to rAsA songs in the bed later or my favourite vaishAka sandhyE for the nth time (over a period of time, memories related to her have become synonymous with this song)! If I move my eyes away from hers and look at the face or the person, she was still unattractive but once the eyes got locked together, there was no escape - it was like magic
Indha idathula scene 'cut' panni, 'vazha vaikkum kathalukku je' potrukkalaam..

kalakkitel, app! am waiting for the next episode..

PARAMASHIVAN
10th February 2012, 03:56 PM
romba aacharyamaa illai, even for Kamal, tfmusic stopped using Bala early of this decade.:roll:

Yes Kamal has stopped using IR + SPB since late 90's?? , but RK has stopped using IR since Veera, that was back in 1994 IIRC, but all the other MDs( Arr, Deva , Vidyasaagar) of RK movies have "Always" used SPB in their albums!

app_engine
10th February 2012, 08:22 PM
nanRi baroque, for your comments!

appadidhaaney namba grow aagarom.

Very true, the whole 'vaishAka sandhyE' addiction was a major "wisdom-tooth" experience :-)

app_engine
10th February 2012, 08:23 PM
nanRi V_Sji & RR sir, for the kind words!

Indha idathula scene 'cut' panni, 'vazha vaikkum kathalukku je' potrukkalaam..

:lol2:

app_engine
10th February 2012, 08:28 PM
all the other MDs( Arr, Deva , Vidyasaagar) of RK movies have "Always" used SPB in their albums!

Movie industry worries about "adhirshtam" business more than any other thozhil I think...using SPB for at least one song in Rajinikanth movies has become that kind of sentiment, IMO. (adhilum 'intro song by SPB' illAtti rombavE problemAm...they point to that as a reason for bAbA not doing well...)

PARAMASHIVAN
10th February 2012, 09:03 PM
Movie industry worries about "adhirshtam" business more than any other thozhil I think...using SPB for at least one song in Rajinikanth movies has become that kind of sentiment, IMO. (adhilum 'intro song by SPB' illAtti rombavE problemAm...they point to that as a reason for bAbA not doing well...)

Yes, valid point!

jaiganes
10th February 2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks Jai. :smile: Wow! entire screenplay written on a car drive, that too within 3 hours? Unbelievable! Very sharp and brilliant guys! :notworthy:
ayyoyyo ezudhinadhaa sollalaai. they conceived it and changed the existing story of AS on a 3 hour car drive - hotel, theertham selavu ellaam michcham.

V_S
10th February 2012, 09:34 PM
Jai, I got it. I too literally didn't mean it was written, it would have been discussed thoroughly during the travel. Again, I write some horrible english.:smile:

app_engine
11th February 2012, 02:39 AM
#286 வாழ வைக்கும் காதலுக்கு ஜே!
(அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், 1989 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0097'&lang=en)

vAzha vaikkum kAdhalukku jAy ('appappA thappukkuththavichchEn' :wink:)

With a terrific prelude (almost like "smooth jazz"), the song gets into a breezy start and progresses to 'sokka vaikkum' levels, thanks to the expert singing by the top duet pair! Things rarely go wrong when IR-SPB-SJ are in the label of a Kamal song. It's only a question of "where does this stand in the overall ranking of songs for this great-4-combo". Well, this is somewhere in the middle - not among top 30% or bottom 30%, orchestration is definitely top class but the mettu is not too melodious IMO. Except the couple of lines that come after 'thappukkuththavichchEn' in the saraNam, it's pretty average.

On-screen too, this comes somewhere in the middle for KH-IR-SPB-SJ duets. Ofcourse there's good physics-chemistry-biology between the boy & girl but the setting is very masAlA, i.e. until the hitchhiking part comes. After that, the driver-cleaner fellows dampen the fun. So, the summary rating is around 5 in a scale of 1-10:-)

There's definite brilliance in the screenplay - with the connection of Raja & the corpse of Francis Anbarasu, however. Single Madras to Pondicherry trip-la ivvaLavu creativity-yA? Great fellows! (However, overall, AS pales in comparison to MMKR in the Crazy-KH combo).

The song was a big "youththu" hit those days. And I don't see a reason why it would not become a similar hit if it arrives in the new millennium too, it has aged well IMO - especially the prelude and interludes. thALakkozhuppu may be quite limited but there's this jazziness that is not timebound. BTW, was this the "carrier-first-duet" for the Kamal-Gautami pair? If so, some historical importance there...

The 'vaishAka sandhyE' kadhai too gets on the road now, with the new motorbike that was strictly needed only for a 2 mile commute in the morning, 2+2 miles for lunch (we bachelors had Mr.Cook now) and another 2m back home in the evening, with petrol below Rs 20, 50-60 kmpl & not too much worries about money. The end-result was total abuse of the vaNdi, with carefree roaming around for hours in the evening - often for what my manager used to call "vAy nOkkAn pOyOdO?" :lol:

Well, it was not always fun - actually one evening during the early bike days was a disaster. Coming out of the workplace in the evening on panchayat road, me and the pillion saw the "birds" standing for bus (including 'the girl') and tried a stylish curving entry into the highway without noticing the sand on road, skidding and crashing like stupids! With left indicator broken & "painttu pOyi" on elbow (for both of us), it was a huge embarassment in front of the girls. arakkappaRakka got up and rushed out of the scene with shame, not looking at left or right!

While the shame prevented looking at her the next day for a while, addiction prevailed and I had to give up. The sadness & parivu in her eyes made me feel "friendly" and for the first time she looked beautiful. What followed was worse - every now and then I started trailing the bus until she got down in her stop :shock: The first time she saw me in her village bus-stop stunned her (obvious on the face) and it took a few moments before a smile (sneer?) can be exchanged! Since I didn't want the pillion friend to know of my eye-addiction, the rides were termed "trips to dam" (her stop was on the way) until the real reason was opened out to him during a Kingfisher (or Golgonda Ruby) session. His reaction? "What is life without such kiRukkuththanams, man? " So, that's how he became the person to have a great deal of knowledge about the whole thingy:-)

He was such a nice friend though, gave me company in rain and shine during such foolish trips for a smile / sneer (and nothing more)! Well, he had some "fringe benefits" too - like the continuation of the ride to Malampuzha for some pleasant evenings...like that one day thrillingly following a bus full of Kottayam beauties who waved to us. We spent hours walking / sitting / standing around them in the garden (it was thrilling to hear their 'enthu rasam ee paiyyans' remark) and a lot of waving / smiling etc. In the end, they invited us to share their dinner which we politely (shyly) refused but they insisted in at least giving us two packets of food (collected while riding the bike parallel to the running bus, thru window :shock:). Those packets helped us realize the fact that one need not eat tasty - may be should even have awful grub - to be beautiful...

Well, in short, for a while there were lot of comical stuff in life - until the power above decided 'enough is enough'. (thodarum)

al_gates
11th February 2012, 03:37 AM
Param,
varusham is listed as a 1989-er, we'll get to that song in due course :-)

Indeed it was. In fact, it released on Feb 18 1989. That was the same day the Sportstar started their 4 page Mega posters. I have some not-so-fond memories of this day. I was a little kid then growing up on tons of Amar Chitra Katha. There was to be a Mahabharatha quiz at a certain location in the town on that Saturday. One of my close friends in class was also taking part in that competition. He said he would come over to my house and we could go together to that Quiz venue. That morning I waited and waited for him but in vain. My dad did not want to take me to the venue in case my friend reached our house after we had left. Finally, with about 15 minutes left for the contest, my dad rushed me to the venue. And who do I see there but my friend happily seated and waiting for the contest to start! Apparently participants needed to contest as a team of two, and since I reached the venue late, I had no one to team up with. It was a long and lonely ride back home.

I recollect that I was too small then even to feel offended or angry. I was just too confused by my friend's act. I didnt confront him about it and talked normally with him after that. Wish I could carry the same child-like heart which takes no offence all through my life.

First few months of 1989, we were listening to hits from movies like Varsham-16, Pandi Nattu Thangam, Mappillai before Peculiar Brothers was released. Malayala Karaioram echoed through many a street. My fondest memory of that summer of '89 would be pedalling back home with my friend from a Sports Club, the time was 5:55 PM and parents had asked us to get back home by 6PM, as we were pedalling back furiously through narrow lanes and streets, AIR would be playing 'Poo Pookum Maasam Thai Maasam' as the last song on Thirai Isai before the 6PM radio news.

al_gates
11th February 2012, 04:07 AM
....like that one day thrillingly following a bus full of Kottayam beauties who waved to us.

Idhellaam dhaan life 'thrills'-nu unga payyan friends kitta sollidatheenga...they will fall down in laughter :fishgrin:

app_engine
11th February 2012, 07:26 AM
aNNAthe aduRAr youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQyVepqompI

Plum
11th February 2012, 10:48 AM
App seems to have got a better friend than Santhanam in Polladhavan "dei nee loverai pArkka thuNaiku kooptAlum paravA illai...neeyE pArkka dhaanEdA pORa idhukku oru thuNaiyA?" :lol:. Al gates - indeed, the veera theera prathaapangaL of those days are jujubee for today's youth. Evolution!

app_engine
11th February 2012, 05:05 PM
Idhellaam dhaan life 'thrills'-nu unga payyan friends kitta sollidatheenga...

Will I do such muttALthanams? I'm careful enough to be kap-chip in front of today's youth (posting in hub is a different matter as the IR-forum may have a few visitors in 40's-50's-even 60's and some can relate to what the thrills were a quarter century before)...

Can you imagine Suruthi doing a 'thuNi thuvaikkal' as in moonRu mudichchu (or Ek tujE kE liyE)...If that's the case with kAdhal iLavarasar, ordinary 'app-an suppan' ellAm emmAththiram?

Though maruththuvar thamizhkkudi thAngi is generally considered a comedian in politics, occasionally he spills pearls (especially when talking about madhu arakkan), his recent one :

"muRkAla thamizh iLaingarkaL pOrukku (war) pOnAnga...ippO TN iLaingarkaL bArukku pOrAnga" (not coffee bar, tasmac bar) :-)

app_engine
11th February 2012, 05:11 PM
App seems to have got a better friend

:rotfl2:

Plum,
Actually he was a smart-looking, brilliant youngster (ARadi, MGR-Kamal mAdhiri attractive appearance) who chamaththA loved a girl and married her too...reasonably successful in career also :-) It was simbly fun for him those few months of late-89 / early-90...

balaji
11th February 2012, 09:46 PM
APP

Aboorval Sagodharargal - What a movie - Milestone for SPB and IR..

If a commercial album of this quality does not come often.

IR simply rules.

Bala

app_engine
12th February 2012, 06:52 PM
a commercial album of this quality does not come often.

Very true!

We've covered the Raja songs, now over to App-u...

skr
12th February 2012, 07:54 PM
AS - One of the very best albums in Tamil Cinema IMHO.
I would perhaps rate it in the top 10 from whatever i have heard.
So many times ive gone into a trance listening to Pudhu Mapilaiku and Raja Kaiya Vacha.

V_S
12th February 2012, 09:01 PM
App,
Suberbly written. :clap: Neenga nalla kathaasiriyar aagalaam. In "Now over to Appu", I sense some sentiments in your story too.

San_K
12th February 2012, 10:00 PM
Apoorva Sagatharargal :notworthy: one of all-time blockbusters movie in tamil.

What a movie by Kamal and what a backbone support by Ilayaraja! This is the only one movie I have watched 5 times in theater alone. (next Batsha, Juraassic park I, etc comes with 3 times :)). I remember in my town, AS was released in 2 theaters which was first time ever in my town. Almost my entire school class students went immediately after the last exam in annual exams. Ofcourse this movie clashed with another all time BP movie Karakattakkaran though the later released after 25 days.

app_engine
13th February 2012, 01:49 PM
nanRi V_Sji!

Neenga nalla kathaasiriyar aagalaam.

possibility naheen'nga :-)

Lost all my kaRpanai vaLams some 25 years back, at the max can make a "run-of-the-mill" reporter or may be a good "news-proof-reader"!

app_engine
13th February 2012, 03:42 PM
#287 புது மாப்பிள்ளைக்கு நல்ல யோகமடா
(அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், 1989 , ஷைலஜாவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0093'&lang=en)

After an unusually warm January, we got a few inches of snow followed by some cold weather at last, during this weekend! Must be the Appu song effect where Kamal dances with Roobini on snow :-) A phenomenal song that supposedly drew some inspiration from MSV-MGR's 'nAn pArthadhilE avaL oruththiyaiththAn' for the sandham construct. SPB in splendid form here and his sis does a nice support (with some slick sound effects as well). The drummer had a field day and the 2nd interlude has some brilliant orchestration too - a nicely packaged number overall!

It was a wonder on-screen, with Kamal excelling in his dwarf avatar! I believe people haven't figured out exactly how all they've achieved those scenes - to this day (well, there had been many guesses - kAlai madichchukkattinAr, kuzhi vetti ninnAr, muttikkAl pOttu pinnAdi mask paNNinAnga etc - but unless KH / SSR or others of the original team reveal, these'll continue to be guesses). Such perfection was demonstrated by Kamal that if someone who isn't familiar with this great actor watches the movie, they may very well conclude him to be not the same person who acts as his rare-twin in the movie! Though KH didn't receive many awards from "committees" for this performance, the general public gave him a big :thumbsup: and the movie was a roaring success!

Gemini circus was a school-time favourite and I was extremely happy to see them in the movie! One of my relatives who watched Gemini circus with me once made a remark on their extreme-precision : "there must be some black magic"! She was even pointing to one person or other wearing a black costume for each of the stunts :lol2: Though I dismissed that claim as stupidity, their perfect execution was such a fantastic thing to watch those days! By contrast, when I watched Bharath circus in the same avenue in town, it had two accidents - one human pyramid collapsed, with the child on top spraining and crying ; then one biker crashed during the cross jump of two motorcycles the same night :-( It was a terrifying, sad day in my life and chillingly reminded of the huge risk these people are taking to entertain us!

One interesting thing about this masAlA movie was that there were 4 villains (instead of the typical 3 :lol:) and it was funny to see Nagesh doing the main villain role :-) While many of us made fun of the fact that such frail/fragile-looking-man was the main villain against a fit-tough-cop in a huge masAlA, that added to the uniqueness of this movie. Its success proved that the primary thing to make a movie attractive to public is to avoid cliche's...

Switching from app_u to app_e, things happened pretty fast in the vaishAka sandhyE chronicle during mid 1990. One thing - my sis finished edu and me arranged her varan (the only "dhaththi" person in our home for whom someone else had to find the marriage mate; whatta progressive parents)...that whole exercise sent me to "back to roots" time period, renewing old friendships, seeing again the girl-seen-in-friend's-marriage-in-Trichy-5-yrs-back, half saree / midi to full saree / churidhAr, getting permission from parents, mAngu mAngunnu letters / phone calls after engagement and finally kAl kattu! So, what happened to the eye-addiction? It was only eye-level you see, with nothing more / nothing serious / no romance / not even friendship :wink: (adappAvi!)

She should have been confused at me suddenly becoming nalla paiyyan, no bike trailing, no eye-locking (had I done so, in my books it would have been "flirting", after the commitment)! That I had switched my role in the org helped too - with hardly any time spent in the shopfloor and even during any occasional crossing-of-paths, I quickly smiled and escaped. There was hardly any change of expression in her face when the 'invitation' was given and I was happy that she wasn't serious as well. Peace, I thought!

However, there was still some 'iRukkam'...one after the other of all the girls were giving their 'invitations' but she did not :-( And in one of the weddings that I attended with my wife and our little baby, she came to us (first time meeting my wife) and grabbed the boy and chumbichchu madhiyAkki...didn't leave him until we left the place. I was plain embarassed and was also a little confused when she and other girls spent too much of time with my wife. Though I've taken mun-jAmeen and my better half had accepted me as an "imperfect gift" to her and nicely managed me (well, for the last 21 years), since I didn't mention any names to avoid unnecessary unpleasantness, there was some udhaRal as to what these women were telling her.

My wife, afterwards : 'They seem to really like you, sweet ellAm senju koduppeengaLAmE' (me inside -aiyyO, vEra ennallAm solli tholaichchAngaLO )
Me - hi hi, we should be nice and hospitable to all, illaiyA?

Wife : Yes, yes, they seem to be really fond of you...

...and that was the end of the conversation and I wasn't sweating anymore :-)

As days went, my life got so busy with child rearing, work pressure, travels etc. However, with no invitation coming from her and also seeing the sadness in her face later on, whenever I thought of the girl I was worried as to what was in her mind...

(aduththa pAttil mudiyum)

app_engine
13th February 2012, 03:48 PM
vAzha vaikkum kAdhalukku jAy youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W6dC7uMilM&feature=related

app_engine
13th February 2012, 03:50 PM
pudhu mAppiLLaikku youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thF1rhW3HGQ

Plum
13th February 2012, 06:02 PM
App - the way story went me(and I suspect others too) was thinking your vaisakha sandhye situation will match for unna nenachen song. Looks like the actual song that will match this situation is not unna nenachen "annakiLi unai thedudhe(pathos version" :_).

genesis
13th February 2012, 09:04 PM
Almost everyone who is 30+ had a similar experience in their Teens and 20s...including women. If boys chase girls, do not forget girls get chased by boys. Generally women are "unwilling" to share their story with their husbands, since we men are not that graceful.

அப்பு - காதல் கதையை கரெக்டா காதலர் தினம் அன்னிக்கு முடிக்கிறீங்க.... முதல் காதல், முதல் முத்தம் என்று சும்மாவா சொன்னாங்க....

V_S
13th February 2012, 10:48 PM
App,
It was very touching to read your post.

Regarding Appu's character, I thought Kamal revealed how it was done, is it not so?

app_engine
13th February 2012, 11:08 PM
Plum,
I don't know the annakkiLi story (or the sichchuvEshan for that song)...let's see after my next post :-)

genesis & V_Sji, nanRi for the kind comments!

V_Sji,
Regarding dwarf tech, I'm not aware of what KH revealed...per wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apoorva_Sagodharargal_(1989_film)), it's a mystery even now...

It played for 400 days in Madurai (http://www.mayyam.com/wiki/Madurai) and Pondicherry (http://www.mayyam.com/wiki/Pondicherry) and 370 days in Chennai (http://www.mayyam.com/wiki/Chennai) and 175 days in Mumbai (http://www.mayyam.com/wiki/Mumbai).[citation needed (http://www.mayyam.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] it had silver jubilee run in all regional and Hindi states, it has become a cult movie even today no one can ascertain how kamal became dwarf.

San_K
13th February 2012, 11:41 PM
Kulla Appu technique - "onnu mattum kurippittu solrathavida pala technique use panni irukkanga" - idhu Kamal sonnatha paditha gnabagam. pallam thondi nikkurathu, mutti madikkurathu appadin ippadi palathunu pesikkittanga

BTW today Kalaignar TV telecasted Apoorva Sagadharargal

V_S
13th February 2012, 11:53 PM
Yes, I too remember he said how he did, on DD/some other channel that time, but now I forgot. But unless there is some youtube/video reference, we cannot prove it.

wizzy
14th February 2012, 12:20 AM
V_S if you are interested to know how they canned Appu shots check out this Singeetham's interview...apparently they even have even shot a docu and as usual it is yet to see the light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75V0Bt3BRDE

app_engine
14th February 2012, 12:42 AM
Two more songs are due today - obviously one will be from A-S.

The other will also be from a KH movie :-)

Let's complete the Appu song first...

app_engine
14th February 2012, 01:38 AM
#288 ஒன்ன நெனச்சேன் பாட்டுப்படிச்சேன்
தங்கமே ஞானத்தங்கமே
(அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், 1989 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0096'&lang=en)

onna nenachchEn pAttuppadichchEn...

The scenes leading to this song are perhaps the best in the movie. The registrar office debacle / mom's indiscreet remark about kuLLam etc and the terrific theme music plus beautiful histrionics by Kamal are a big treat to watch! OTOH, the song is a melodrama IMHO :-( Though the melody is extremely good and rAsA / SPB manage to pizhinjify the hearts with their respective capabilities, somehow it wasn't that big a favourite with me. No doubt I liked the fact that it was a big hit and would have heard it umpteen times but the lyricist possibly bring downs the song from gOpurakkalasam to vAsal padikkattu.

May be the repeating 'gnAnaththangam' thingy was the major irritant. Or the comical memory of the "uppu-kazhudhai-panju" story that comes to my mind when the 'uppu vikkappOnEn' line comes :lol2: It totally takes my mind away from the serious nature of the song :oops:

Ofcourse, the scene where the clown laments in the circus (when a handsome man takes away his girl in the trapeze game) is goosebump stuff but the later scenes (where the clown cries in front of the mirror etc) is kind of not-so-palatable to me. Ofcourse, that leads to a turning point in the movie, helps to move the masAlA etc but somehow the song's overall stature had been reduced IMO. (Kamal & Valee may be very proud of this song but the repeated 'thangamE-gnAnaththangamE' phrase throws it back to daNAl Thangavelu era and helps bring yawn).

That being said, the line 'andha vAnam azhudhAl thAn indha bhoomiyE sirikkum' is a terrific, brilliant one and one has to give :clap: :clap: :clap: to Valee! Overall, it's a mixed bag unlike the extremely brilliant numbers pudhu mAppiLLaikku / rAjA kaiya vachchA / aNNAththa AduRAr IMO (both on & off screen)...well, better than vAzha vaikkum kAdhal...again, this comparison is strictly within the album and only my personal order of preference in listening. No question about the total album being one of the finest ever in TFM!

Back to the girl's story of not giving invitation - it was just a question of typical delays involved in the case of a financially weak Kerala girl getting a good varan (with pAvam parents / no strong brother etc). Absolutely nothing to do with the pArvaipparimARRa business :-) In course of time, things turned positive and I was happy to attend her wedding with other colleagues and had the 'nEnthram chips and ada prathaman' on the banana leaf! (I heard her instructing her dad to take special care of us).

Then there were very normal things in life (she had a baby, her sick mom died and I visited her home for condolence, she came to our house warming...). We happily left the past as some "old memories" and could smile at each other without any iRukkam when the paths crossed occasionally within the campus. (Some may say 'ennayyA ivvaLavu chappunnu Akkitta'; however, this is not an imaginative story but a real-life itihAs of a few years, can't be altered) Just a minute, that is not the end...

I decided to leave the town, sold the house - moved to rented place for a few months - got another consultant position and quit the job. There was a send-off by workers (stage'la speech ellAm koduththAnga) and it looked like she wanted to talk to me but there were always people around. Then there was the engineers booze-send-off and another friends' dinner etc for a few days. Finally, the "going-around-to-say-bye" day.

As usual, there were other girls with her but she briskly walked to meet me separately. There was a definite sadness in her eyes. With a voice that only I can hear (Keralite women can speak to a person without being audible to others even 5 ft away, as observed by my old room-mate), she asked :

'ngangaLayokke vittuttu pOkAn thannE theermAnichchO?' (Decided to leave us all? Really?)

There was a brief thoNdai adaikkal for me but exercising great control, I replied :

'ellavarum oru thivasam pOkEndadhallE?' (Don't we all have to go one day?)

(kadhai muRRum)

al_gates
14th February 2012, 01:44 AM
Plum,
I don't know the annakkiLi story (or the sichchuvEshan for that song)...let's see after my next post :-)

App, I thought I was the biggest Arai-kurai follower of tamil cinema(only songs, clueless about story). You have beaten me hands down Sir.

I guess there should be some thread where posters give the main plot of movies for the benefit of those who didnt watch them.

app_engine
14th February 2012, 02:12 AM
#289 மாறுகோ மாறுகோ
(வெற்றி விழா, 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4044'&lang=en)

Is this 'mARugO' thingy from Goa? Interestingly, Kamal reused this line in another movie too (Kovai Sarala as his wife, sathi leelAvathi by Balu Mahendra). Like surAngani of Ilangai or hatyakkuchukkOvA of Malaysia perhaps. In any case, very catchy first line with adi-dhadi drums makes one feel like dancing! A big hit song tailor-made for SPB's thuLLal style! Interestingly, KSC too does SPB-like-rendering in this song and IMO it's a rare song for her with the 'jingu-chakkA' done in thoroughly enjoyable manner!

The hero character was supposedly inspired from Robert Ludlum's Bourne character, Pratap Pothen made this hit movie (perhaps his biggest hit as a director) that was produced by NT's family production house I think. It had Prabhu & Kushbu as the third pair with Kamal-Amala & Kamal-Sasikala as the two other pairs. I remember liking the first half of the movie and then getting thoroughly irritated (even felt sleepy) in the later part. Obviously one-time-watch on theater. As like other albums from the Maestro-Pothen combo, terrific album, guitar delight, ultra-modern for the time-period etc...

This song is a marriage-dance-song I think (KH marries the 'pAda vandhadhO gAnam' girl and dances with her). I'll locate the youtube and try to watch tonight again (don't have a +ve or -ve opinion about the song's on-screen stuff...)

al_gates
14th February 2012, 02:22 AM
Unna nenachen paatu padichen can truly be called the Beta version of Kolaveri. Pretty much every older guy(late teens/college goer) I ran into would be singing it in the summer of 89 and was a frequently heard number in Paatu competitions.

Here's a snapshot of IR-SPB movies during this phase...hopefully we havent missed out any gems from this list.

That being said, the line 'andha vAnam azhudhAl thAn indha bhoomiyE sirikkum' is a terrific, brilliant one

Briefly, what does the line imply?

app_engine
14th February 2012, 02:32 AM
Briefly, what does the line imply?

Literally, it means 'only if the sky cries (i.e.rains) the earth can laugh'...per the movie story, Appu has to cry (make a sacrifice) so the girl Roobini can laugh...or, in general, one's happiness comes at the expense of another :-)

(P_R to hubbers : This is what I've always been telling in the context of comedy :lol2:)

rajkumarc
14th February 2012, 02:42 AM
App - Thoroughly captivating and touching narration (especially the ending :notworthy:) of your personal experience. AS is one heck of an album and a movie that I can revisit any number of times. VV has some very nice songs too, my favorite being Thathom Thalangu Thathom.

app_engine
14th February 2012, 03:13 AM
nanRi rajkumarc!

We have a few more songs from veRRi vizha that will lead us into the 290's :-)

Like I mentioned before, mAnguyilE is going to be the #300 :-) (Not negotiable)

genesis
14th February 2012, 03:18 AM
#288 ஒன்ன நெனச்சேன் பாட்டுப்படிச்சேன்
தங்கமே ஞானத்தங்கமே
(அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், 1989 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0096'&lang=en)

I think this song situation is heavily inspired from "Jeena Yahan Marna Yahan" from Mera Naam Joker, including crying inside the mask, front of the mirror etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XOi1GzOgfc

Your story was really nice and excellently narrated.... very touchy ending.

V_S
14th February 2012, 06:05 AM
App,
Really a great write-up and especially the way you finished up, was really moving. :clap: The end dialogue reminded me of Padikkaathavan dialogue between NT and Rajinikanth. There are only few film dialogues I remember, this is one of them, good to see you said the same.

V_S
14th February 2012, 09:08 AM
V_S if you are interested to know how they canned Appu shots check out this Singeetham's interview...apparently they even have even shot a docu and as usual it is yet to see the light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75V0Bt3BRDE
wizzy, That was suberb stuff. Many many thanks for sharing this. :notworthy: Finally the secret was revealed. Great technicians and how much hard work involved :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
14th February 2012, 04:08 PM
Folks

There was this song by SPB called "PoothEnil kalanthu pOn vandu ", can some one tell me the name of the movie and MD for that pls ?

Recently I bought a CD full of SPB songs called the "genius" :notworthy:
There were so many unheard (for me) songs of SPB in the 1970 :shock:
Most of them SPB +PS Combo!

PARAMASHIVAN
14th February 2012, 04:59 PM
Another song from that CD "MEgamE odOdi vaa Azagin ... " by SPB + PS , lovely duet? Name of the movie and MD details please?

I have a feeling the MD could have been SG

Thanks

Plum
14th February 2012, 08:16 PM
Faram - poontheril kalandhu by Mama KVM in ENippadi roughly a original for weld famous Rangeela. Megame thoodhaagavaa I think is from Kannan oru Kaikuzhandhai by IR only/itself.

PARAMASHIVAN
14th February 2012, 08:25 PM
Faram - poontheril kalandhu by Mama KVM
Nandri Flau anneh,

Poontheril kalanthu sounded to me like poonthenil kalanda such was the qaulity of the CD :banghead:

Megame thoodhaagavaa
well Priya chechi confirmed it is from Enipadigal (see below) . Sivakumar had lots of nice songs for him in the 70's, and yes the MD was indeed IR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YH7fpuV7LTo

app_engine
14th February 2012, 10:04 PM
mikka nanRi, genesis & V_Sji!

The 6 posts on vaLaiyOsai & the A-S songs were kind of emotionally taxing / draining and it's really heartwarming to read the following comments from discerning readers, and I'll cherish them for a long time:

Thoroughly captivating and touching narration (especially the ending)

Your story was really nice and excellently narrated.... very touchy ending.

Really a great write-up and especially the way you finished up, was really moving.

:thank you:

Though I don't intend to be in the "writing field" at any point of time in life, it would be nice if there is constructive criticism from hubbers on these 6 posts as well ...as quality is an important aspect of life :-)

app_engine
14th February 2012, 10:13 PM
Nandri Flau anneh,
Poontheril kalanthu sounded to me like poonthenil kalanda such was the qaulity of the CD :banghead:

well Priya chechi confirmed it is from Enipadigal (see below) . Sivakumar had lots of nice songs for him in the 70's, and yes the MD was indeed IR

Param,

I think you've mixed up the two songs in your post...let me try to clear it up:

1. 'poonthEnil kalandhu, pon vaNdu ezhundhu' - SPB/PS song is from the movie ENippadikaL. The composer is K V Mahadevan, thirai isaiththilakam aka mAmA :-)

That song is different from :

2. 'mEghamE, thoodhAka vA, azhagin ArAdhanai' - another SPB/PS song that is from the movie kaNNan oru kaikkuzhandhai. This song is from our man, IR and had already been covered in this discussion earlier as #12, please find the post in the link below :
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-286-வெற்றி-விழா-songs&p=681251&viewfull=1#post681251

:-)

PARAMASHIVAN
14th February 2012, 10:55 PM
Wow App Anna :clap:

Just now finished reading your story! Excellent write up. You should really be a writer! :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
14th February 2012, 10:57 PM
Param,

I think you've mixed up the two songs in your post...let me try to clear it up:

1. 'poonthEnil kalandhu, pon vaNdu ezhundhu' - SPB/PS song is from the movie ENippadikaL. The composer is K V Mahadevan, thirai isaiththilakam aka mAmA :-)

That song is different from :

2. 'mEghamE, thoodhAka vA, azhagin ArAdhanai' - another SPB/PS song that is from the movie kaNNan oru kaikkuzhandhai. This song is from our man, IR and had already been covered in this discussion earlier as #12, please find the post in the link below :
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-286-வெற்றி-விழா-songs&p=681251&viewfull=1#post681251

:ty: for the clarification

app_engine
14th February 2012, 11:32 PM
nanRi, Param for the kind comments on the story :-)

Moving on to the next song on VV...and this has to be a SPB-SJ one...

app_engine
15th February 2012, 12:11 AM
#290 தத்தோம் தளாங்கு தத்தோம்
(வெற்றி விழா, 1989 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4047'&lang=en)

thaththOm thaL(d)Angu thaththOm

This can be called a "loop" based song :-) At the minimum, there's a repeating "loop" in the prelude, both interludes and the postlude (however, the interludes are not totally ditto). I don't think it was a "bought-out" piece but a rAsA construct. With Pratap Pothen as the director, such guitar (or synth) delicacies are only to be expected. Despite that, the overall song sounds so much of 'TFM' and not 'western', IMO. Also, the strings' usage is very different in this song - someone please identify what kind of western genre uses strings this way, very thrilling (check the goosebump prelude, for e.g. or the response after 'iNaiyaththAn iNaiyaththAn' in the saraNam)!

Both SJ & SPB thoroughly enjoy singing this number and I think this should be one of those cases mentioned by SPB as the "ongoing competition" between them in duets. All to our benefit :-) Being the younger of the two, SPB does some gimmicks somewhat easier than SJ I think. The drummer needs special mention too - what a lovely work!

I think the song is some kind of 'club-dance' thingy with the new replacement for silukku (or for anurAdha), i.e. thuNivE (and not thuNiyE) thuNai girls -disco Shanthi dancing with Kamal. I'm not sure whether other film fields refer to female avayavangaL just like that in mainstream songs, like TFM does :shock: Anyways, that is not new to veRRi vizha -we've been accustomed to such lines right from MGR days (or may be even prior). vAzhka thamizh! :wink:

The veRRi vizhA cassette was a big favourite, blasting loud in the music system, at our bachelor home during late-89 / early-90 days. There was this little kid of our neighor (who was also a manager at the workplace) who loved to spend time with us and he was still speaking mazhalai, calling this cassette as 'vetti viLA, vetti viLA', insisting us to play all the time:-) Later on, when one of the vetti viLA songs got played in oliyum oLiyum on TV (may be this or some Kushbu one), we watched with him in his home, with his parents & one year older sister. The boy shocked everyone by loudly asking why the girl has so less of clothes :lol:

app_engine
16th February 2012, 02:31 AM
#291 பூங்காற்று உன் பேர் சொல்ல
(வெற்றி விழா, 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4045'&lang=en)

The most melodious number of the movie, appropriately picturized on the top pair (KH-Amala) and IIRC as a flashback. I remember being in arai-kuRaiththookkam when this song came up and suddenly got alert and started watching the movie with consciousness again :-) Breezy orchestration and sweet singing by both SPB & KSC. eththanai muRai kEttAlum salikkavE salikkAtha padal vakai. Especially the saraNam portion - right from the start, it's quite intoxicating and when the portion with violin accompaniment comes up, one feels like flying!

One of our housemates was a big fan of Amala (while most were at least small fans). Being good in pencil sketching, he did a fantastic pencil sketch of the actress and it's still in my memory. Obviously, it will be injustice if I don't mention about this engineer artist who also provided a lot of real-life-fun to us during the bachelor years. Before we all moved into a home, he was in a monthly-rental-lodge (like all of us) in the "downtown" area of Palakkad and he shared the room with another engineer who was my team lead for many years. This artist was lean / slow / laid-back (often he takes a nap on the bed immediately after reaching home from work; removes each shoe with other foot & kicks his shoes off after lying on the bed) but his roomie was "poosinArpola udambu" / brisk / paraparappu and the very sight of seeing both of them together provided us so much fun! Obviously, both were part of the "second show group" that included me, for many movies.

Once we decide to go to a movie, we typically plan to finish dinner in a restaurant between 8-8.30 and walk to the theater for the 9:15 show. Our paraparappu friend usually finishes his dinner within 15 min and most of us are done in 20-25 minutes and are ready to leave. But not this artist :-)

He typically orders the item that takes max time ("boness chillie chicken", for e.g.) and won't even get the food served until his roomie is done. Then he eats at his very leisurely manner, while others show some restlessness. By 8.50, everyone will be ready to run and he'll still be with his food. When the bearer brings the bill, he'll ask him to bring "lemon tea" :lol:, another custom-made-time-taking item those days.

Being considerate to him, we'll leave telling that one of us will wait at the gate with his ticket and invariably it had to be his roomie :lol2: (Others had strong preferences, like "I can't miss ads", "I need to see newsreel", "I want to enjoy title-music" etc). It used to be hilarious to see our paraparappu fellow's irritation and shouting at his roomie who never gets perturbed by any of these :rotfl2: Well, each person one meets in life adds to the fun quotient!

al_gates
16th February 2012, 04:34 AM
App, just curious...were you ever bitten by football fever while you were in Palakkad. I ask this because Palakkad hosted the Santosh Trophy in Mar 91, where Kerala lost to Maharashtra by a solitary goal in the final. They beat Goa 4-3 in the semis.

It was their 4th straight final loss - lost to Punjab in 88 final(Quilon), lost to Bengal 89(Calcutta), lost to Goa(Margao) in 90, lost to Maharashtra(Palakkad - 91). Finally they travelled to Coimbatore for the Feb 92 final. My cousin who attended said truckloads of fans arrived in lorries from Palakkad all the way to CBE's Nehru Stadium. Kerala won 3-0 vs Goa and finally got the Cup.
1988 was when IM Vijayan made his debut and that 88 team had Pappachan, Thomas Sebastian, VP Sathyan, Cherian Perumali, Chacko etc. These players turned out for Kerala Police/Titanium/KSRTC in the leagues.

V_S
16th February 2012, 05:52 AM
:lol: Great to hear about your friend. I too have many friends like that, IdiyE vizhunthaalum avanga tempo'vilathaan iruppaanga. In college years, these film songs sounded great not only because of Maestro alone, but due to lyrics also. Since we (I believe everyone) stop learning our mother tongue from/during college years (as it was not part of curriculum), film song lyrics was the only medium to learn and appreciate our language. That too as teen-agers any love-based songs will immediately capture us. This song is one among them which had some lovely lyrics. I think it is Vaali sir, but not sure. Especially we loved these lines.

நீல வான் கூட நிறம் மாறக்கூடும் நேசம் நிறம் மாறுமா
கால காலங்கள் போனாலும் என்ன காதல் தடம் மாறுமா

PARAMASHIVAN
16th February 2012, 03:34 PM
Poongatru was one hell of a song! :clap:

app_engine
16th February 2012, 06:15 PM
App, just curious...were you ever bitten by football fever while you were in Palakkad. I ask this because Palakkad hosted the Santosh Trophy in Mar 91, where Kerala lost to Maharashtra by a solitary goal in the final. They beat Goa 4-3 in the semis.

Football (soccer) - viLaiyAdiyadhOdu sari...to follow, it had to be minimum FIFA :-)
(There was a lot of talk in the workplace on the Santhosh trophy ofcourse, me not much into it...moreover, 1991-la more important things that kept me very busy - kalyANam Ana varusham :wink:)

app_engine
16th February 2012, 06:21 PM
dig

Posted a thoovAnaththumbikaL song youtube (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?470-Malayalam-Film-Music&p=816415&viewfull=1#post816415) in the Indian films forum...

neither the song nor the movie should be missed by any connoisseur of films / music, IMHO. Ofcourse, don't watch the full movie with kids as it's for mature audience, this song youtube is ok for all - rated G :lol2: ...

end-dig

app_engine
16th February 2012, 11:18 PM
nanRi, V_Sji!

I too have many friends like that, IdiyE vizhunthaalum avanga tempo'vilathaan iruppaanga.

In course of the 1989-1990 songs, I may post another incident or two of these wonderful duo :-)

venkkiram
16th February 2012, 11:27 PM
:lol: Great to hear about your friend. I too have many friends like that, IdiyE vizhunthaalum avanga tempo'vilathaan iruppaanga. In college years, these film songs sounded great not only because of Maestro alone, but due to lyrics also. Since we (I believe everyone) stop learning our mother tongue from/during college years (as it was not part of curriculum), film song lyrics was the only medium to learn and appreciate our language. That too as teen-agers any love-based songs will immediately capture us. This song is one among them which had some lovely lyrics. I think it is Vaali sir, but not sure. Especially we loved these lines.

நீல வான் கூட நிறம் மாறக்கூடும் நேசம் நிறம் மாறுமா
கால காலங்கள் போனாலும் என்ன காதல் தடம் மாறுமா

"ஜென்ம ஜென்மங்கள் ஆனாலும் என்ன ஜீவன் உன்னோடுதான்... "

இதை மறந்திட்டிங்க! சிறப்பான வரிகள்!

app_engine
16th February 2012, 11:38 PM
#292 வானம் என்ன கீழிருக்கு
(வெற்றி விழா, 1989 , மலேசியா வாசுதேவனுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4048'&lang=en)

rAsA continued his peak form thru out the 80's and one lost count of the hit songs...it happened just like that, no big promo / this / that needed...week after week albums arrived, songs got blasted in every nook and corner of TN making use of every available media! He was such a phenomenon that movie houses didn't have a clue as to how to develop a competitor (AVM was trying hard during these years with Chandrabose and the difference was between malai & madu).

Here is a composer, who:
-composes songs, interludes, BGM - all at lightning speed - even getting them as notes on paper before others could blink their eyes
-ellAm laddu mAthiri tunes & often decorated with futuristic orchestration that connected with the public instantly
-no big fuss about compensation, sakthikku thagundha mAthiri people paid (if one goes by reports) and very accommodative in other "expenses" too (musicians, chorus, recording equipment, packaging etc - while maintaining some minimum standards that were greater than pOttiyALarkaL)
-no big fuss about which star, prod house, story line, budget etc (I remember a vAsakam in a tutorial college hoarding in Dindigul "kadaiyanaiyum karai ERRuvOm" :lol:)
-highly reliable (no bOdhai - tardiness -pEchchu mARal - etc issues)

No wonder everyone who had some money -sometimes sufficient only to record a few songs - came running to him...hoping that with some songs, they can work to get finances from vattikkadais and do a movie / dump on disti :-)

While VV was not one such cheapie project, such thoughts run in the mind when one sees how many hit songs from this movie. (We've got 4 SPB songs on this thread and 'seevi sinukkeduththu' by MV-SJ was a big hit as well, making the count to 5, which was 100% of the album).

Ofcourse, he had to rely on magnificient talents like SPB / MV / SJ / KSC who were prolific as well, to achieve such volume in a short time. Any amount of praises to this composer can't be called "excess / thikattal" at all!

app_engine
16th February 2012, 11:55 PM
ok, 2 Kamal movies done in 1989, tomorrow let's start with some Rajini songs...

V_S
17th February 2012, 03:03 AM
Dhool post App! :thumbsup: Can't agree more. Alas, people only remember him as 'thimir/arrogant', which is the saddest part, conveniently forgetting all his contributions and valuable services to his men as you mentioned above.

Thanks venkki for filling in. :smile:

app_engine
17th February 2012, 03:53 AM
nanRi, V_Sji!

So, let's have a song from 'rAjAthi rAjA' tomorrow :-)

Divine22
17th February 2012, 07:26 AM
Dear App sir,

Great going , 300++ pages... :clap: :clap: :clap: for such an outstanding effort & immensely engaging write ups ...

Your story was kinda' sad in the end :( Guess, most people go through this phase in life, some happily and some the other way around. You seem to have a lot of fond memories during your initial working days ... it sounds so new fr some one like me, yet very interesting :D

Apporva Sagotharargal, What a movie indeed, the story, acting, songs ...Wow... certainly one of my all time fav. Even today, I'll never miss it if they play it on TV. My elder brother's pet name is Appu, when times I was away from my family, I used the AS opening BGM as his caller ring tone, it holds a very special place in my heart, the times I miss my mother & ny brother most, the calls from his hand phone & caller ring tone lit up my days, still serving as my brother's caller tone. Sometimes, that music alone makes me so sad and moist my eyes. I can relate to the Appu character in AS in such way, fr me Roopini is still unforgivable for cheating Appu... :D

Coming to Vetri Vizha, although not so nostalgic fr me, The one song Poongaktru Un per solla, such a breath taking song. My heart will race each time I hear this song. It evokes me the beautiful misty, gentle sunny mornings, with birds chirping, and I am taking a walk on such a beautiful day...awwww... solla mudiyatha ore unarvu. Kamal & Amala , a cute pair they were .. and the special mention about the lyrics like V_S sir highlighted. And definitely very beautifully picturized.

Thank You for your wonderful posts & zealous efforts . Nandrigal Pala :)

p/s: btw, college hoarding in Dindigul "kadaiyanaiyum karai ERRuvOm" - What does this means sir ? I didn't get it ..

Murali Srinivas
17th February 2012, 12:20 PM
app,

The sweet remembrances that were inter woven along with the songs were really nice and enjoyable.

யோசித்துப் பார்த்தால் நாலைந்து வரிகளில் சொல்லி முடித்துவிடக்கூடிய அனுபவங்கள்.

அண்ணலும் நோக்கினார்
அவளும் நோக்கினாள்.
பார்வை பரிமாற்றங்கள் மட்டுமே நிகழ்ந்தன.
பரிவும் இனம் புரியாத சந்தோஷ உணர்வும் மட்டும் மனதில்.
காலப்போக்கில் இருவரும் அவரவர் வாழ்க்கையை தனி தனியாக தேர்ந்தெடுத்துக் கொண்டனர்.
பிரியும் நேரத்தில் அத்தனையும் காலத்து உணர்வுகள் ஒரு கேள்வி ரூபத்தில் வெளிப்பட
நேரிடையான பதிலை சொல்ல முடியாமல் தத்துவார்த்தமான ஒரு பதிலை சொல்லி விலகி வந்து விட்டீர்கள்.

ஆனால் இதை நீங்கள் சொன்ன விதம் இருக்கிறதே அதுவும் ஒவ்வொரு பாடல்களின் நடுவே அதை அழகாய் உள்படுத்தி அதிலும் ஒவ்வொரு பாடலின் முடிவிலும் ஒரு எதிர்பார்ப்பை ஏற்படுத்தி கொண்டு சென்றது, எல்லாமே படிக்க ரொம்பவே சுவை.

So much so that readers were eagerly waiting for your next episode and the fact that even people like RR [never seen him getting excited or anything of that sort] were recording their expectancy goes to show that you are a great writer!

I enjoyed it!

Regards

PS: Any more incidents like this even after 91?

Murali Srinivas
17th February 2012, 12:45 PM
Valaiyosai and Poonkaattru are two of the best songs of Kamal -Amal pair. The way you have described Valaiyosai is apt and true. It was a poetry in romance with each and every frame of the song being so sweet, right from the start when the saree falls on Amal's face and kamal kissing her on her lips to till the end of the song. For me the icing of the cake was the end part, inside the bus when Amal would ask Kamal hanging on the foot board to come in and you must see her eyes! Great scene!

Vetri Vizha was a colourful entertainer [have read that it was adopted from an English movie] and that Deepavali day of 1989 was memorable with back to back watching of Vetri vizhaa in the morning and Mappilai in the evening and add to it the Nehru Centenary cup match between India and Pakistan that was played on the same day and my plate was full!

Regards

Plum
17th February 2012, 01:45 PM
MS: "any such incidents after 91?" :lol: - kusumbu - app EdhO Raja pAttu bOdhaila uNarchivasapattu sila secrets-ai uLarittAr. Idhukku mEla 199wikappuram matterlAm veLiya koNdu vandhA, rasApAsamAyidum - paavam app vitrunga :)

app_engine
17th February 2012, 09:09 PM
nanRi Divine22, for your appreciation & kind words!

Interesting to read about your sibling-bonding with the theme music of A-S, strong evidence of how rAsA music has impacted the everyday lives of people from at least 2 generations!

BTW, is it not mostly Appu's fault to think romantically about the doc-girl-d/o-circus-owner?
('Asai vandhu ennai Atti vaiththa pAvam, maRRavarai nAn En kuRRam solla vENum')

avanga EdhO 'mannikka mudiyAtha kuRRam' seydhadhu pOl enakkuppadalai :-)

p/s: btw, college hoarding in Dindigul "kadaiyanaiyum karai ERRuvOm" - What does this means sir ? I didn't get it ..

It wasn't "college" in the regular sense.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the existence of "Tutorial Colleges" in TN those days which are actually "private coaching centers / tution centers" that will help weak students (or failed students) to pass the exams, mainly SSLC or +2.

This was one such institution ("ANdavar tutorial college" / ATC / that had the office close to the old bus stand). Let me explain the meaning of their ad :

kadayanaiyum - even the last person from the sinking boat (i.e. even the person who comes last in the exams, always fails etc)
karai ERRuvOm - we'll get to the shore safely (i.e. we'll make sure passes in the exams)

The reference to IR is very clear, a lot of hopeless cases came to him and got salvaged to some extent by the music...

app_engine
17th February 2012, 09:38 PM
mikka nanRi, Murali sir!

Getting praises from a great writer like you is definitely very special, feels like I got some big award!

Post-91 :lol2:

(Plum :-) )

So far onnum illai - ini Arambikka mudiyAthu, paiyyan romance paNRa vayasula irukkAn :wink:

(actually nAn rombakkarnAtakam, "one-man-one-woman-called-wife-for-life" type :-) )

BTW, nice remembrance of your veRRi vizhA days!

Kamal -Amal

Nice coinage!
:thumbsup:

app_engine
17th February 2012, 11:43 PM
#293 மாமா உன் பொண்ணக்கொடு
(ராஜாதி ராஜா, 1989) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3094'&lang=en)

'mAmA un poNNakkodu' of rAjAthi rAjA

Though R Sundarrajan's movies have generally been of 'janaranjaga' variety, only this can be called a "pure masAlA", as far as I know. It's quite possible that he did such a "double-act-adi-dhadi-masAlA" because of rAsA (it was a Pavalar creations' production, a company owned by IR's elder bro R D Bhaskar and generally considered to be funded by IR) or for the thrill of directing the super natchaththiram.

Going by the gossip in magazines those days, the song 'En gitta mOdhAdhE nAn rAjAthi rAjanadA' was IR's answer to some irritating aRaikooval in some Chandrabose song ( rAjAthi rAjanaiyum thORkadippEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?4732-IR-vs-X-during-IR-s-peak-period&p=175100&viewfull=1#post175100)). It was possible that IR wanted to show AVM & the likes that the SPM-ism isn't a big deal (for someone like RS) to do in a very short time and produce a super-hit. Whatever was the driver, the movie was a clear indicator that IR was fiercely competitive those days. The film was a commercial hit and even though it was a saRukkal to RS as a director, there was some enjoyable comedy in the movie which was his stronghold.

More importantly, the movie had thoroughly enjoyable songs! Unfortunately, we get to feature only one song from the movie in this thread as all others went to Mano (there are a couple of 'less than a minute' short songs by SPB as well -olaga vAzhkkaiyE & AththukkuLLa - but 'mAmA un poNNa' is the only full-size song by him).

'malaiyALakkaraiyOram', 'en kitta mOdhAdhE', 'vA vA manjaL malarE' all had Mano and the other hit 'un nenjaththottu sollu' (not on screen I think) is a female-female duet.

SPB freaks out in this song with his terrific mAmA / mAmOi calls and singing with lot of energy through out the song. rAsA hits out the country drums in 'kEttELE ingE' style that makes one want to jump and dance at once! With some nice variations in the melody in saraNam, one can enjoy singing this themmAngu aloud as well!

When the song arrived, however, the most interesting feature to me was the second interlude! One rarely gets "old-song-tunes" (or even the same song's tune) as interlude in rAsA songs. This had the 'kalyANa band' version of 'rAjA rAjAthi rAjan indha rAjA' of agni* in the second interlude (as BGM to the wedding dream scene on the screen).

It had many significant things :

-plays the movie title in the minds
-indirect pugazh pAdal of Ilayaraja
-flexes the rAsA muscle against any competition that was being attempted, with the mighty Rajinikanth endorsing his friend on screen
-demonstrates rAsA's understanding of the TN culture of playing movie songs during auspicious occasions. It used to be nAdhaswara vidhwAns playing ever-green or current sensation movie songs during kalyANams. Then there were cases when affluent people showcased their 'paNapperumai' by employing both mELam group as well as "band vAththiyakkArarkaL" for their marriages. Even those bands -that typically played during march-pasts, police drills, political functions etc - played movie songs in marriages! Such was the thAkkam of TFM on everyday lives of the public in TN. This "band" interlude beautifully showcases that!

This movie took us to that paridhAbamAna "new-devi durga" theater of Palakkad. Songs and sirippoos (plus the usual Rajini-Radha pair and the unusual Rajini-Nadhiya pair) made it watchable without much irritation...

app_engine
20th February 2012, 01:54 AM
mARugO mARugO youtube...

fun song :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRrAcjl-fs

app_engine
20th February 2012, 01:58 AM
poongARRu un pEr solla youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keePeE68ytw

app_engine
20th February 2012, 02:09 AM
mAmA un poNNakkodu youtube (full of "typical" movements of Rajini, there's some NT-ism at the 'rAjAthi rAjA' band music scene)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkDfKYX1Dg

app_engine
20th February 2012, 02:32 AM
#294 மானின் இரு கண்கள் கொண்ட மானே மானே
(மாப்பிள்ளை, 1989 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1985'&lang=en)

Sweet song by the terrific SPB-SJ pair! rAsA's composition almost sounds like semi-classical to me (though there are no swara prayOgams and such stuff...may be the song is based on some strong rAgA and thus sounding highly 'flavoured'). Rajini & Amala dance around (with tons of other women) in a typical masAlA style picturization for a masAlA movie. I remember posting earlier in the hub about how boring this movie was (one of those few rare ones where I've slept for a good part inside the theater). It was very amusing to me that they chose to remake this movie with Mr Villu of kolaveRi fame.

Interestingly there was this gossip that Sridevi was asked to do the Srividya role & she escaped telling that unless Rajini plays the mAmanAr role she won't play the mAmiyAr role :lol: What a nice imagination by the gossip writing media :-)

Coming back to this terrific composition that has some excellent violin work, custom-made-rhythm and energetic singing, my mind often gets back to school days when the Thamizh teacher explained why the 'mAn vizhi' comparison to women's eyes. (Though the song is quite engaging, it's not a compulsive one and the mind can easily wander). If one looks at the images of deer (or the variety of similar species), there's nothing spectacularly special in those eyes that makes one conclude them as "more beautiful than those of other animals". So, after initially disagreeing (mentally only not orally) with that +2 Thamizh teacher, I've come to agree with her over a period of time.

That, the comparison is because of the 'marutchi' in the eyes of the deer that resemble those of the women...

app_engine
20th February 2012, 02:32 AM
mAnin iru kaNkaL koNda (pinna enna orE oru kaNNA koLLa mudiyum? ) youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVRgKqAKydI

Divine22
20th February 2012, 06:37 AM
Thank You for the detailed clarification app sir, :)

What a riot of song, Maama un ponne kodu... SPB in full swing...brilliant !! ♥♥♥♥

Kayal Vizhi also means maan vizhi ? right ?

Eagerly waiting for the 'grande número trescientos ~ , Which one will it be ? :thinking:

Good Day :)

app_engine
20th February 2012, 07:55 AM
nanRi, Divine22!

Kayal Vizhi also means maan vizhi ? right ?

kayal = fish

kayal vizhi = eye that looks like fish in shape (and also swirls around like one) :-)

Divine22
20th February 2012, 08:36 AM
Offoh.... Kayal means fish, All this while I was thinking it's deer , haha, silly me... Thanks again :-D

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 03:40 PM
wow

Maama Un Ponna kOdu. Amazingy song SPB in awesome Stamina, only SPB possible for such song! The song I often used to sing :lol2:

App anna

Wasn't Siva released during this time? or have you already posted Siva's song ?

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 06:09 PM
Was the 1989 Rajni film Called "Shiva" a remake from a telugu movie ? If so was the MD IR as well?

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 06:29 PM
dig >>

Sathya was one of few films of kamal that I did not see. Only saw it yesterday!

Wow what a film? Kamal was awesome in a tough guy character! IR's music , SK direction and PC Sriram camera work were excellent. One doubt though, who was the guy who played the villain (bald one)? was his voice dubbed by SPB ?

thanks

<<

app_engine
20th February 2012, 07:05 PM
Param,
Yes, Siva is listed as a movie of 1989...we'll get to it later on :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 08:34 PM
Param,
Yes, Siva is listed as a movie of 1989...we'll get to it later on :-)

Thanks

app_engine
20th February 2012, 09:53 PM
Eagerly waiting for the 'grande número trescientos ~ , Which one will it be ? :thinking:

I've posted twice about this already :-)

So, no need to think / guess :-) It is from "dancer" (with a vessel on head)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 10:48 PM
App anna

Have you dicussed about Anbe Odi vaa songs from 1984? It has a wonderfull no by SPB called "Azhakaana pookkal malarnthaadume" . Lovely song!

app_engine
20th February 2012, 10:51 PM
#295 என்ன தான் சுகமோ நெஞ்சிலே
(மாப்பிள்ளை, 1989 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1983'&lang=en)

Yet another SPB-SJ duet, moderate hit (radio / bus / functions / teakkadai etc) from the same Rajinikanth movie. Though I never had this song in any of my personal collections / recordings at any point of time, I got the song strongly embedded in the memory because of listening to it from a variety of sources those days. While this song cannot boast of some new-rhythm arrangement like 'mAnin iru kaNkAL' number, definitely very soothing and "kEtka sugamAna" melody. The top duet singers obviously add a lot of value with their "voice chemistry", though the song was like 'another day in office' for them :-) Same goes with rAsA, who had 'another day at office' in the orchestration / melody / interludes - nothing earth shattering but with minimum standards and hit material.

Possibly another Rajini-Amala romance on-screen, should check the youtube later today. Like I mentioned, the movie was watched with disinterest / slumber etc and I don't remember this song on screen at all. That way, absolutely nothing whatsoever of any kind of nostalgia associated with the movie or song(s). Despite that, the song has easily made its way to this compilation & this thread on its own merit / hit status :-)

app_engine
20th February 2012, 10:54 PM
App anna

Have you dicussed about Anbe Odi vaa songs from 1984? It has a wonderfull no by SPB called "Azhakaana pookkal malarnthaadume" . Lovely song!

Discussed ofcourse! # 142 of our list (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-286-வெற்றி-விழா-songs&p=738236&viewfull=1#post738236)

That was a college-days-delight & how can I miss? :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 10:55 PM
I liked the Comedy encounter involving RK, SSC and V.Chakaravarthy from mappilai. quite enjoyable :)

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 11:01 PM
Discussed ofcourse! # 142 of our list (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-286-வெற்றி-விழா-songs&p=738236&viewfull=1#post738236)

That was a college-days-delight & how can I miss? :-)

Nandri. I was not hubbing regularly that time; hence I must have missed it :)

genesis
20th February 2012, 11:15 PM
#294 மானின் இரு கண்கள் கொண்ட மானே மானே
(மாப்பிள்ளை, 1989 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1985'&lang=en)
I remember posting earlier in the hub about how boring this movie was (one of those few rare ones where I've slept for a good part inside the theater). It was very amusing to me that they chose to remake this movie with Mr Villu of kolaveRi fame.
Interestingly there was this gossip that Sridevi was asked to do the Srividya role & she escaped telling that unless Rajini plays the mAmanAr role she won't play the mAmiyAr role What a nice imagination by the gossip writing media

Coming back to this terrific composition that has some excellent violin work, custom-made-rhythm and energetic singing, my mind often gets back to school days when the Thamizh teacher explained why the 'mAn vizhi' comparison to women's eyes. (Though the song is quite engaging, it's not a compulsive one and the mind can easily wander). If one looks at the images of deer (or the variety of similar species), there's nothing spectacularly special in those eyes that makes one conclude them as "more beautiful than those of other animals". So, after initially disagreeing (mentally only not orally) with that +2 Thamizh teacher, I've come to agree with her over a period of time.

That, the comparison is because of the 'marutchi' in the eyes of the deer that resemble those of the women...

Per wikipedia, Mappillai is a remake of super-hit Telugu movie "Athaku Yamudu Ammayiki Mogudu". Mappillai boring?! Probably lost in Transalation?!

app_engine
20th February 2012, 11:22 PM
#296 வேறு வேலை உனக்கு இல்லையே, என்னைக்கொஞ்சம் காதலி
(மாப்பிள்ளை, 1989 , ஜானகியுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1987'&lang=en)

The third SPB-SJ hit from mAppiLLai. The funny thing about this song is that I didn't even know the song belonged to this movie :shock: Without thiraippAdal, I wouldn't have connected that movie to the song. (That shows how much that movie connected with me). Both singers show the necessary kuRumbu / kuzhaivu to make this song taste sweet. I'm not sure whether the 'rAjAthi rAjA' phrase was intentionally included to please IR (and he seemed to like it, giving some vocal harmony etc for that when SJ sings for the first time in the pallavi). Possibly it also applied to Rajini whose hit rAjAthi rAjA possibly preceded this movie.

Looked at the wikipedia, hoping to get the release dates of rAjAthi rAjA & mAppiLLai to find out whether the chronology assumption was right. Not enough info on both the movies...but interestingly, wiki says mAppiLLai was produced by Chiranjeevi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mappillai_(1989_film))and he had a fight scene in the movie too :shock: Shock because, onnum enakku Ormmai illa - very rare, unusual case of a movie where I don't even remember the presence of a mega star. All along, I've been thinking that I've watched Chiranjeevi only on 47 nAtkaL & rANuva veeran. Now, this adds to the list and I've "attended" three of Chiranjeevi movie shows in theater (and TV / otherwise too, song youtubes are a different matter though).

Also, as per the wiki, it seems they tried Vyjayanthimala for the mAmiyAr role initially :lol: So, it looks like not just Dhanush, even his f-i-l had problems it getting the first choice of on-screen-mAmiyAr :-) enna oru oRRumai!

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 11:23 PM
In terms of Story wise mappilai was indeed a crap movie, but one can just watch it for the RK factor!

PARAMASHIVAN
20th February 2012, 11:25 PM
App anna

Chiru comes just for few minutes in Mappilai, for the temple fighting scene! Less scope for him thaan Raanuva veeran

app_engine
20th February 2012, 11:30 PM
There is 4th SPB-SJ duet unnaiththAn niththam niththam (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1986'&lang=en) in mAppiLLai it seems :shock:

However, I've never heard this song before and cannot include it in our compilation...so, it will be a different movie for tomorrow's song (enna oru relief!)

balaji
21st February 2012, 06:50 AM
App

Thanks for Mappillai songs
Enna Sir - "Unnaithaan Niththam" kettadhillainu sollittengale. Was my favorite those days

Bala

Nerd
21st February 2012, 07:18 AM
There is 4th SPB-SJ duet unnaiththAn niththam niththam (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1986'&lang=en) in mAppiLLai it seems :shock:

However, I've never heard this song before and cannot include it in our compilation...so, it will be a different movie for tomorrow's song (enna oru relief!)
Seriously? :shock: My most favorite song from the film and this song is quite popular too. Saw it in Sun Music couple of days ago. You have skipped a handful I think but this has got to be your biggest *miss*. Veru velai illai for example is much less popular than this number if I am not wrong. Wonder how did you managed to miss listening to this. We had a mappillai/vetri vizha in a TDK 60. That was the last time I heard the entire mappillai stack.

Btw, yes Mappillai was after Rajathi Raja. Mappillai (and Vetri Vizha) are Deepavali releases and Rajathi Raja was somewhere between Pongal and April 14th.

I am yet to catch up on the past few pages incl. your world famous story :-) , just idhu kaNNula pattudhu.

Plum
21st February 2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah, unnaithaan niththam is *popular* and was instrumental in our school principal abandoning a revolutionary " initiative of hers - a tale for another day.

venkkiram
21st February 2012, 08:40 AM
எனக்கு ஆச்சர்யமாகவே இருக்கிறது "உன்னைத்தான் நித்தம்" பாடல் ஒரு பிரபலம் என இங்கு பலர் சொல்லும்போது! "என்னோட ராசி நல்ல ராசி, என்னதான் சுகமோ, மானின் இரு கண்கள் கொண்ட" பாடல்கள்தான் மாப்பிள்ளை என்றவுடனையே ஞாபக அலைகளில் வந்து போகிறது.

groucho070
21st February 2012, 08:44 AM
app, finished reading. Touching, very touching indeed. True lump in throat moment.

Otherwise, great going, and :thumbsup: Same feeling about unnaithaan nitham nitham, though I hated it back then (that I was on opposite camp didn't help).

rajkumarc
21st February 2012, 09:25 AM
Nice posts App on Rajathi Raja & Mapillai. That was the time I started paying more attention to songs, music in general and also started going to movies alone with friends (10th std). Watched both of these movies with friends. I remember purchasing the original audio cassettes (with lots of convincing to do to get the money) and may still have them lying around back home.

I loved Mappillai songs more than Rajathi Raja maybe because of SPB's singing. Also loved the orchestration in all the duet songs. Unnai Thaan Nitham was quite popular among us kids then mainly because of the song sounding very modern and also for RK's dancing (fast moves, complicated steps etc as per his fans) which is usually not his strong point.

Plum
21st February 2012, 10:45 AM
I'll tell the story about my school. It was 1989, and I had this Rajini-fan friend, who was our camp's "leader" (against Ulaganayagans camp). He was a local saNdiyar's son, and used to thrill us with his tales of "sharing a peg" with his father(I mean, in 9th standard, that is.)(This was around the time of Apoorva SagodharargaL hence I was in a transition phase in terms of camps as mentioned several times before, that is a different story).

Around the same time, our bright principal, who didnt believe in the beaten path in terms of education introduced several innovations like open-book exams etc. One of her pet projects was to "encourage exra-curricular talents" in a grand way and she introduced this "talent show" after assembly every week on Fridays. Students were free to give their creativity a free reign - though initially it started with the standard "alaipaayuthae kanna" and "theeradha vilayaattu pillai" group dances, eventually it reached its pinnacle with (what else) a movie songs inspired skit by an enterprising gang, who happened to be the ulaganayagan camp. They were the posh besant nagar gang, and stuck to classic stuff and derived humour from some of the family-friendly popular ads and songs. Kamal songs featured liberally, a classy "Kamal in Salangai Oli reprisal included".

This went well with the principal, who appreciated the aesthetics of this. Seething at the glorificatin of the kafir impostor Kamalahassan, our leader, the sandiyar's son, planned a fitting reply glorifying "our supreme leader, the Superstar". As I was in the transition phase, I kind of drifted out of this plan, just being a mute spectator to their rehearsals. Something told me that while the Principal might have appreciated the cinema-influenced but mild-mannered skit well, a full-on reprisal of "Rajini-Amala" choreographed risquely by our enterprising leader will not go that well. Our gang did inflict on the unsuspecting Principal this abominable, family-unfriendly skit involving a full-on reprisal of "Unnai thaan niththam niththam", coolin glass tricks and all, among other cultural milestones like "nee koduthadhai thiruppi koduppen", "aasai nooru vagai" etc. I was privy to the Principal's emotions first hand as I had been chosen to compere the event - having drifted away from the full-on rehearasals, was emotionally blackmailed into participating atleast in this respect by the "Leader" - and was standing right next to the stunned woman. Too stunned to react initially, she recogered half-way through Unnai thaan niththam and managed to halt the proceedings. A severe reprimanding session in the Principal's room followed, with me turning approver, and thus began my exile from the Superstar camp and the eventual drift to the enemy camp. That was the last we heard of the "Talent Session" on Fridays :-)

Plum
21st February 2012, 10:56 AM
Mappillai, thus became a turning point in my "cultural appreciation" career, and remains the one of the movies of Rajini that I haven't seen ever.

Plum
21st February 2012, 10:59 AM
App, now that I have given you a story, you might as well feature unnai thaan niththam nittham as a supplementary song for today. A song of such cultural significance cannot be ignored just like that!

groucho070
21st February 2012, 11:02 AM
:lol: Plum. Did they go after you for your dastardly deeds?

To others, my transition period was around then too. I mean, by not abandoning Kamal, but also embracing Rajini. I can't quite figure out which film but not these ones for sure.

Speaking of talent session, my first stage song (some know this already) was Unna nenechen.

Divine22
21st February 2012, 12:11 PM
I've posted twice about this already :-)

So, no need to think / guess :-) It is from "dancer" (with a vessel on head)

Great ! ;)

app_engine
21st February 2012, 02:55 PM
nanRi makkaLE, for the comments!

Sorry Balaji, Nerd, Plum, groucho & rajkumarc for being ignorant of the "unnaiththAn niththam" song :oops:
Going by the vociferous responses here, it should have been a big hit in TN. My miss!

And Plum, :lol: on your school episode! Agree it was a historic moment in life :-)

Nerd,
"touch" paNNama nadantha oru kathaiyai ellArum 'touching-touching'nnu solRAnga :confused: Please spend a few minutes reading those posts and tell me if you find at least some lines humorous and not senti...I re-read the posts and found it funny and not too much senti, possibly my memory is rich / multidimensional and fills a lot of details that are missed out in the text.

groucho,
nanRi for your comments on the "story"! It's extremely valuable to me coming from a writing professional! (Though I'm a little disappointed that you didn't laugh at the lines I find "funny"...please, didn't you at least smile at the 'paint pOyi on elbows' thingy?) I guess you can understand Malayalam and wouldn't have had problem with phrases such as 'chumbichchu mathiyAkki' -that line was actually not funny but touching - but some of our Thamizh-only friends could've missed that...In any case, it was quite an experience for me to write such a long sariththiram...

groucho070
21st February 2012, 03:14 PM
:oops: I was lazy to quote, considering I was reading many pages back, sorry app. But I had smile on my face, and giggled on the part where you samalichufied wife with importance on being hospitable :lol2:. Most of all, this part: "'ngangaLayokke vittuttu pOkAn thannE theermAnichchO?'

There was a brief thoNdai adaikkal for me but exercising great control, I replied :

'ellavarum oru thivasam pOkEndadhallE?' "

I literally heard the sad appu violin in the background :sad:

Plum
21st February 2012, 03:16 PM
App - ok I missed out on reacting. I was perhaps one of your target audience - in that, you succesfully kept it funny for me till the last. Touching kichinglAm Avalai - as you can surmise from my previous reactions, which were all frivolous and flippant. I was a little apprehensive if you'd take it well if I told you that I found the story lot of frivolous fun hence I cut back on my reactions. I thought you'll be hurt hence didn't say it aloud - looks like by not saying it aloud, I might have missed pleasing you!

app_engine
21st February 2012, 04:02 PM
nanRi groucho :-) BTW, why sorry & all...once again, thank you for reading & commenting :-)

Plum, I feel a lot relieved now :-)

I was feeling "old" with most responses coming for mainly the concluding remarks (& not the fun part of the whole ithihAs)...Like I mentioned thru out, there was some tension here and there but mostly it was harmless(?) fun for all concerned :-)

app_engine
21st February 2012, 04:12 PM
enna thAn sugamO youtube (as expected, Rajini-Amala romancing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vPXi9m9CYM&feature=related

app_engine
21st February 2012, 04:19 PM
vERu vElai unakku illaiyE youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVMmDtK5drY

app_engine
21st February 2012, 04:20 PM
unnaiththAn nitham nitham youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfV_cm9StgE&feature=related

app_engine
22nd February 2012, 12:01 AM
#297 ஏலேலக்குயிலே
(பாண்டி நாட்டுத்தங்கம் , 1989 , உமா ரமணனுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2530'&lang=en)

ElElakkuyilE of pANdi nAttuththangam, with UR

A film I know only by the songs. Had to browse to find out who the hero & ini were (Karthik-Nirosha, possibly a follow-up after agni natchaththiram success). And, if one goes by this blog post of Murali Kannan (http://muralikkannan.blogspot.com/2010/01/1996.html), the movie was a hit. There's an interesting thuNukku about the year 1989 in this article :

ஒரே ஆண்டில் சந்தேகத்துக்கே இடமில்லாமல் ஐந்துக்கும் மேற்பட்ட பெரு வெற்றிப்படங்களும் 10 வெற்றிப்படங்களும் அமைவது எப்போதாவதுதான் நடைபெறும். 1989ல் அப்படி ஒரு நிகழ்வு நடைபெற்றது (அபூர்வ சகோதரர்கள், வருஷம் 16, ராஜாதிராஜா, கரகாட்டக்காரன், புதியபாதை, புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்கள், மாப்பிள்ளை, பாண்டி நாட்டுத்தங்கம்.....).

It's not difficult to see how many of the mega hit movies were non-IR (only one in the above listtu) :-) And what a variety of scores for these movies. IR was the true one-stop-shop for music during this time period and he offered all kinds. Whether classically rich (V16) modern sounding (VV / A-S) or nAttuppuRa albums (PNT, Karagam). Interestingly, each of the nAttuppuRa albums had their own distinct flavor as well. As one can hear, the songs of PNT had different "sounds" and construct compared to Karagam.

This one is a racy song, with SPB & UR competing with each other in pouring a lot of energy! rAsA has some unusual 'rough' percussion sounds in the saraNam and one could even mistake this song as a product of some other composer if more attention is paid to only that aspect. Also, the jin-jinnAkkudi stuff and such not-so-rich-sounding chorus could turn off some IRFs:wink: I love this song, however, which is helped greatly by the melody and the singers!

Since there were abundance of hits during this time period, I didn't initially pay attention to PNT songs (never recorded or had the cassette BTW) and these weren't listened with a lot of enthu during bus travels either. I think motorcycling brought down the bus travels too during this time and the opportunities for such listens were dwindling. That made the first occasion when I did "connect" with this song quite memorable.

I posted earlier about how Cbe, Pollachi & Palakkad form a triangle. Interestingly, there are a number of "interconnecting small roads" between the two main roads from the TN towns to Kerala. There is one going from a place called Kanda koundan chAvadi on Cbe-Pkd road to KozhinjAmpARai on Pollachi-Pkd road. Then there is another connecting these roads starting from a place called Kanjikkode on Cbe-Pkd highway to the same KozhinjAmpARai. There are a few villages with name ending as pARai on the Pollachi-Pkd road. There is one village called pARai itself (also known as elappuLLi and that's where mellisai mannar MSV is from). Then this big village - can even be called a tiny town - called 'kozhinjAmpARai' which is in the border of TN-Kerala and one of the main hubs for vegetable movement from TN to Kerala. There is also another place called 'kOzhippARai' :lol2: and I happened to have a few distant relatives of father there.

This kOzhippArai is located on the country road (single lane, tarred) from Kanjikkode to kozhinjAmpARai. It is also on the KK chAvadi to kozhinjAmpARai road. There is a sugar factory close by in "mEnOn pARa" (Chittoor sugars) and these are lovely roads during the rainy season to travel...beautiful trees, flowers, wind-mills - lovely route with very few buses. During one of those bus-rides, the songs of PNT were played and I paid very close attention and simply loved them! So, three of those songs with SPB will be featured in this thread starting today, 297 / 298 / 299 :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd February 2012, 05:17 PM
App anna

Pandi nattu thangam was indeed a good movie! give it a go if you can. there was another Karthik movie during this period, which had lovely songs by IR. Do you know the name of this movie (see the songs below)

1) Aruvi kooda jathi illamal - by SPB + KJY
2) ennai thottu - SPB + SWarnalatha

Plum
22nd February 2012, 05:55 PM
F - that is "thought of you, sang a song(read a song)"

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd February 2012, 06:08 PM
Got it ! It was from a movie called Gowri Manohari :) and the MD was some one called "iniyavan" and not IR :shock:

Plum
22nd February 2012, 06:19 PM
That's the first one. Second one is from unna nenachen paattu padichen by IR only.

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd February 2012, 06:24 PM
That's the first one. Second one is from unna nenachen paattu padichen by IR only.

Oh thanks :oops:

V_S
22nd February 2012, 08:52 PM
Great post App on Pandi Naattu Thangam song. You nailed it on how Maestro shows the difference and variety when it comes to folk that too in the same year. :thumbsup: No relation whatsoever. I am not sure if the movie was a hit compared to others in the list, but the songs were huge hits. I remember seeing this film in Devi Kala. Only for Maestro. By this time, we got used to Karthik's monotonous acting. My favorite being siru koottile and un manasula, Chitra's signature songs. In fact, I recorded every song. That was my biggest hobby those days (even before listening). Memorable songs!

venkkiram
22nd February 2012, 09:05 PM
Great post App on Pandi Naattu Thangam song. You nailed it on how Maestro shows the difference and variety when it comes to folk that too in the same year. :thumbsup: No relation whatsoever. I am not sure if the movie was a hit compared to others in the list, but the songs were huge hits. I remember seeing this film in Devi Kala. Only for Maestro. By this time, we got used to Karthik's monotonous acting. My favorite being siru koottile and un manasula, Chitra's signature songs. In fact, I recorded every song. That was my biggest hobby those days (even before listening). Memorable songs! paandi naattu thangam was a super dooper hit movie ran well in all A-B-C centers. I remember seeing its 175, 225 days of celebration in Dinathanthi and Dinakaran.

Plum
22nd February 2012, 09:06 PM
All songs were hits but unn manasula and siru koottula particularly so. There is also another version of unn manasula and SPB has "ilam vayasu ponnai vasiyam pannum valaiyalkaaran", which app may rejeet as not heard much

San_K
22nd February 2012, 09:12 PM
All songs were hits but unn manasula and siru koottula particularly so. There is also another version of unn manasula and SPB has "ilam vayasu ponnai vasiyam pannum valaiyalkaaran", which app may rejeet as not heard much

that is good song, I like it. ippove oru bitta pottu vachuduvom

V_S
22nd February 2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks venkki for confirmation. Plum, Yes ilam vayasu and I also love another SPB number mayiladum paraiyile.

PARAMASHIVAN
22nd February 2012, 09:25 PM

Wonder full songs! :thumbsup:

app_engine
22nd February 2012, 09:55 PM
nanRi, V_Sji!

'vaLayal kAran' song - yes I've heard it many times and definitely a hit song, but not a SPB song (MV) so won't be "counted" in this thread ...

raajarasigan
22nd February 2012, 09:57 PM
unnaiththAn nitham nitham youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfV_cm9StgE&feature=relatedI strongly doubt whether director wanted another "Thatthom Thaaangu Thatthom".. Rhythm pattern athey maadhiri irukku..

app_engine
22nd February 2012, 10:01 PM
I strongly doubt whether director wanted another "Thatthom Thaaangu Thatthom".. Rhythm pattern athey maadhiri irukku..

raajarasigan,
Murali sir, our encyclopaedia, has posted that both VV & mAppiLLai were deepAvaLi releases of 1989 :-)

So, it could've been IR's idea (and not the director asking for 'pOna varusham onnu hit AchchE, adhE mAthiri onnu kodungaNNA') :-)

raajarasigan
22nd February 2012, 10:06 PM
rendume orey tayathula vandhadha... :neutral: Thanks App Sir :)

app_engine
22nd February 2012, 11:48 PM
#298 மயிலாடும் பாறையிலே
(பாண்டி நாட்டுத்தங்கம் , 1989, சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2532'&lang=en)

mayilAdum pARaiyilE

Another high-energy themmAngu song for the ever-youthful singer, this time with KSC ! Thoroughly enjoyable, dance-worthy number that showcases IR's ability to maintain his adherence to musical standards while also delivering something that is so much with maN maNam / sounding natural to the milieu! (back to my cliche : ippadi eththani eththanai pAttukkaL!)

One of my earlier posts highlighted how I enjoyed watching a lot of mayils in one place in the wild (actually not a "wild jungle", just country side) near V'nagar (recently read that the pAtti of MMKR, S N Lakshmi who passed away a few days back, is from this area of my own pAtti / ammammA). Also, one typically spots mayils in the region around Madurai (virAli malai, thirumangalam, thirupparangunRam etc) and I myself had seen them sitting on rock masses during train / bus trips in that area during the 80's. So, a very nice reference of 'mayilAdum pARai' in a movie called 'pANdi nAttuththangam' :-) I don't know for sure, however, whether the movie is really set in the pANdiya nAttuppakuthi.

As I mentioned in my post on ElElakkuyilE, it's interesting to remember that I "connected" to this song when visiting the place with the name 'kOzhippARai' :lol2: which is surrounded by a number of other pARais. Not in pANdiya nAdu, though, but in the chEra nAdu where they typically make fun of TN-ers as 'pANdi' :oops: I've found that such usage was often in a deragatory tone though not every time. Especially among youngsters, it was more of a fun usage. (It may be also of interest that TN-ers of "fair skin" were often referred to as 'sAmy' also, by the same set of chEra nAttu people :wink: In my work place, my boss - who was from Cbe - was always refered to as 'sAmy' only by all the women...I found it very funny and it was a pet-booze-topic to vambizhuththufy Keralite friends).

Murali Srinivas
22nd February 2012, 11:50 PM
app,

Anyhow you have given me a title and so let me also clear your doubts on the chronological order of releases of Rajini films in 1989. Rajathi Raaja was in March 1989, Shiva was released during May '89, Raja Chinna Roja in July '89 and Mappilai on Deepavali day of 89. Same way for Kamal, it was Appoorva Sagodharargal in April '89 and Vetri Vizhaa on Deepavali day. In between Kamal's Malayalam movie Chanakiyan got released in September '89 for Onam. If I am not off the mark, Kamal's Telugu movie Indrudu Chandrudu also got released in 1989 because the dubbed version Indiran Chandran hit Tamilnadu screens during Pongal 1990 along with Rajini's Panakkaaran.

Regards

Btw, Pandi Naattu Thangam was a Madurai based subject as the producer was Sangili Murugan [who belonged to Podhumbu, an outskirt of Madurai] and he always made his films in and around Madurai. And Raja being a native of ஒருங்கிணைந்த மதுரை மாவட்டம், Sangili Murugan enjoyed a special rapport with him that helped his movies to have very good songs.

app_engine
23rd February 2012, 12:06 AM
Murali sir,
Thank you so much for the chronological information!

Also, nanRi for the details on PNT - interesting to note that Sangili Murugan was the producer...has he made any movies before?

genesis
23rd February 2012, 05:51 AM
#297 ஏலேலக்குயிலே
(பாண்டி நாட்டுத்தங்கம் , 1989 , உமா ரமணனுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2530'&lang=en)
(Karthik-Nirosha, possibly a follow-up after agni natchaththiram success)

In Agni Natchaththiram, Karthik-Nirosha pair was ultra modern (at least for 1988). How can somebody think about that pair in village movie?

By the way, is this the first movie where Karthik started to compete with Ramarajan?

app_engine
23rd February 2012, 06:34 AM
ElElakkuyilE is on the youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3FKJg4qEo8

app_engine
23rd February 2012, 06:37 AM
mayilAdum pARaiyila is also on youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyn7UPUfIF0

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 07:14 AM
Clarification on Mayiladum Paraiyile lyircs - is Madhura mEngKaattu hotel-ilE actually Madhurai Ming Court Hotel?

app_engine
23rd February 2012, 07:39 AM
Clarification on Mayiladum Paraiyile lyircs - is Madhura mEngKaattu hotel-ilE actually Madhurai Ming Court Hotel?

I hear 'mEngAttu pottalilE medalu vAngirukkOm', so it refers to a place called 'mEngAttu pottal' - possibly a temple ground where some competitions are held...

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 07:49 AM
:oops: my mishtake. Must listen again, thanks app.

Divine22
23rd February 2012, 07:59 AM
The whirling speed Karthik dances in Mayiladum Paaraiyile, Whoa....looks like he might stumble any moment :D

My fav pick from PNT, Un Manasula, the Happy version,,soulful singing by the chinna kuyil...

Plum
23rd February 2012, 08:33 AM
Ming Court Hotel :lol: - malaysiala padam eduththA ninga ipdillAm lyric ezhudhi kodunga Grouch.

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 08:41 AM
hallov, it was suggested by my mother, a proper Tamizh educated woman.

Athu sari, Malaysia-vula vanthangga, attiyakkuchukkavaanu ezhuthunangga (or ezhuthi kuduttanggalO), Ennamo chukka recipe mathiri :argh:

Murali Srinivas
23rd February 2012, 02:02 PM
Rakesh,

app is right. Mengattu Pottal is the name of a place in the heart of Madurai city adjacent to where we lived for years together. It stretches into the most expensive street of Madurai in the sense most of the Jewelery shops are situated there known as South Avani Moola Street and public meetings used to be held on Sundays. There is a park near it called Jhansi Rani Park opposite to which YMCA is housed.

For film fanatics like us in general and NT fans in particular, near to Mengattu Pottal is where we have New Cinema where Kattabomman roared, Deivamagan Kannan swore and Vijay Anand of Vasantha Maaligai romanced.

app,

Sangili Murugan had produced many movies including Oru Kai Osai, Pandi Nattu Thangam, Enga Ooru Kaavalkaran and there was one more Karthik movie Nadodi Pattukaaran, then Kumbakarai Thangaiah and Kaadhaluku Mariyaadhai. There was also one Vijaykanth movie, the name of which I am not getting it now.

Regards

Plum
23rd February 2012, 02:32 PM
I think he recently produced the monumental disaster Suraa...

groucho070
23rd February 2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info, Murali-sir. I need to review back the things I learned from Mrs. Saraswathy Premakumaran :lol2:

For film fanatics like us in general and NT fans in particular, near to Mengattu Pottal is where we have New Cinema where Kattabomman roared, Deivamagan Kannan swore and Vijay Anand of Vasantha Maaligai romanced. A sample of your much missed review writing style, sir :thumbsup:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd February 2012, 03:11 PM
I think he recently produced the monumental disaster Suraa...

itha ippadiyE Tamil Film section la pOtta unga kathi :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd February 2012, 03:14 PM
By the way, is this the first movie where Karthik started to compete with Ramarajan? Great insult to Karthik !

A_S
23rd February 2012, 06:49 PM
Murali sir, I think VK movie produced by SM was Periyamaruthu (1994 Deepavali release)

Murali Srinivas
23rd February 2012, 08:06 PM
Exactly A_S. It was a 1994 Deepavali release along with Nammavar. There is a story behind it. During Thevar Magan, Kamal made use of Sangili Murugan [who happens to be a Thevar] and as everybody knew he also played the role of Kanakku Pillai. Sangili Murugan using the proximity wanted to produce a movie with Kamal in the lead and Kamal agreed it seems. He had said that once Mahanadhi finishes, he will do this. But Kamal thought of a weird combination. He wanted Balu Mahendra to direct the movie and asked SM to meet BM. Murugan is an out and out commercial producer and BM belonged to the opposite genre. After a few rounds of discussion Murugan and BM both understood that this will not work. Murugan went to Kamal and asked him whether he is willing to go for a commercial director. But Kamal by this time cited the reason that since he had already committed to doing Vijaya Vahini movie, he will not be in a position to do the film and there ended their short lived honeymoon. Sangili Murugan immediately went to Vijaykanth and got his callsheet, produced Periya Maruthu and released it along with Nammavar. After the release, he gave out an ad for his movie which proclaimed that his movie has won the Deepavali race. After this episode, it was said that since Kamal had committed a movie for BM, he initiated the production of Sathi Leelavathi under his own banner, where he played a more than a guest role and the movie came right after Nammavar and was released for 1995 Pongal [along with Batcha].

<Sorry for the dig>

Regards

app_engine
23rd February 2012, 09:37 PM
mikka nanRi, Murali sir, for the Madurai geography and the info on SM products!
I knew KM was produced by him but wasn't sure whether he had done some prior to PNT...it's interesting to see that OKO was by him :-)

We have one more song in PNT, for today (#299) and then will be all-set-for-karagam tomorrow :-)

app_engine
23rd February 2012, 11:35 PM
#299 உன் மனசுல பாட்டுத்தான் இருக்குது
(பாண்டி நாட்டுத்தங்கம், 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2534'&lang=en)

un manasula pAttuththAn irukkudhu (serious version, not the jolly KSC solo (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2535'&lang=en))

My most favourite part of this song is the end of the saraNam and how sweetly it connects back to the pallavi! :thumbsup: The KSC solo was much more popular I think , the no. of times I heard that version is easily at 4:1 ratio compared to the relatively serious duet with SPB. SPB gets the whole first saraNam (great violin accompaniment thru out, enhancing the listening experience) and hums in the second interlude. From the song construct of "seperation of singers to portions of the song", it's possible both the lovers are in a situation they cannot meet. Not a new technique, though effective always in TF songs - that jell well with the story.

This is perhaps the only song that I assumed to be part of some grAmarAjan movie those days. IR cuts down the flute in many places in the duet version and it kind of demonstrates his preference to use flute for happier occasions (especially the call-response kind which he might have mostly reserved for happy-only-sichchuvEshans and switched off / replaced with strings for seriousness). This does not mean he totally avoided flute for sad situations, just the order of preference / technique to contrast the feels etc as per a pAmara observer. That is, in songs. On his BGM however, there're no defintions, rules possible - not even a "mostly" thingy. ethu vENA eppO vENA varum but correct feel-ukku mattum uththaravAtham :-)

I mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't have these songs on personal collections. However, my brother had this song and whenever I visited home (typically once a month), this got played aloud in the stereo system with "detachable speakers" (a big thing those days) and the song was so immensely enjoyable!

V_S
24th February 2012, 07:21 AM
This is perhaps the only song that I assumed to be part of some grAmarAjan movie those days.
Nice catch App! :thumbsup: This song definitely resembles the ones from Ramarajan movies. The best part is normally IR does not slow the pace for the sad version. Just a change in orchestration does it all. There are many examples like this. Even with this pace, we can feel the sad mood, that's the hallmark of genius!

app_engine
24th February 2012, 05:59 PM
nanRi V_Sji!

Hey, it's celebration time today - the #300!

We'll have the mango cuckoo post soon :-)

app_engine
24th February 2012, 07:56 PM
For a change, let me post youtubes before the post :-)

the karagam version of mAnguyilE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKs84_DxFBg&feature=related

app_engine
24th February 2012, 07:58 PM
The terrific duet version of mAnguyilE :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F-Xd2robkI&feature=related

app_engine
25th February 2012, 12:08 AM
#300 மாங்குயிலே பூங்குயிலே
(கரகாட்டக்காரன், 1989 , தனித்தும் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1560'&lang=en), ஜானகியுடனும் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1559'&lang=en))

mAnguyilE of karakAttakkAran (solo & duet with SJ)

One (rather two) of my all-time-IR-SPB favourites! SPB at peak form and rAsA fully charged up to organize excellent repertoire of mELa thALams to take the song to soaring heights! It's still flying high for me and cannot possibly come down ever :-) Both versions have great preludes (whether the thavil adi dhadi followed by nAyanam in solo or the terrific strings backed up by thavil again in the duet) as well as sweet interludes. The change in pace in the later part of saraNam adds to the charm and makes the song extremely melodious.

The pallavi melody is based on an existing folk devotional (as informed by jAmbavAns in old tfmpage threads) but excellently adapted by rAsA to be a pucca film song. As one can see from the youtubes posted above, the movie scenes -especially for the solo- are quite interesting as well and we lost count as to how many times the VHS was rewound and watched in the bachelor home! At the time of arrival, there was none whom I came across not liking either the song or the girl who shows her face in the song! It was all "like" "like" only :-)

I preferred this number as the 300th to the A-S ones mainly to give a fitting credit the thread nAyAkarkaL IR & SPB, as the A-S numbers had Kamal stealing the show quite a bit. OTOH, no competition here - grAmarAjan - though fits to a T - can only take as much credit as Goundamani or Senthil or Kovai S or Kanaka and not a lot more, IMHO. Even the whole movie was a big rAsA show, compared to many other popular movies in his "hit-flooded-career". Ofcourse, GA did a nice job of adapting the NT-Padmini classic thillAnA mOganAmbaL (Kothamangalam Subbu story) from nAyanam / bharatham to karagam and the movie had terric comedy by GM-Senthil to ensure great commercial success. But rAsA has a slight edge over others -strictly IMO - in taking the top spot for the "reasons for success" in this case. That way, this song is a movie-career-milestone for him! (Well, within the album, it should be 'pAttAlE budhdhi sonnAr' that showcases his role - but in public view, mAnguyilE = karagam).

Interesting album overall - SPB had these two numbers, rAsA had two (what a sweet 'indha mAn'), MV had two (ooru vittu & mAriyammA) and Mano got two as well (kudagu malai & mundhi mundhi). An album rich in country drum adi-dhadees as well as sweet themmAngu melodies. Interestingly, in my personal observation, these were thoroughly enjoyed by even 'city-born-and-brought-up' kids - tons of them, demonstrating the power of maN isai! I'm sure GA had a significant role in collecting laddoos from his brother and this one film / album is sufficient for him to be remembered forever in TF chronicles!

I don't want to bore hubbers with any more Palakkadan stuff on this post (had been writing something or other every now and then in various threads whenever karagam comes up). Just want to sincerely thank everyone for patiently putting up with me for these 300 days! (I know IR-SPB combo is so irresistable and the songs are so sweet that my kaththi gets tolerated :lol2: It won't be too long before this compilation gets over, looks like we're >80% done). Interestingly, the only days we lost were due to two major events - 1. Mrs IR's demise & 2. the hub-hack ; otherwise we had average one song per day for the last 10 months!

Makes me feel really good:-)

app_engine
25th February 2012, 02:01 AM
chinna time chart of this listing :

Started on 22nd April 2011, with nAn pEsa vandhEn (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-298-பாண்டி-நாட்டுத்தங்கம்-songs&p=676910&viewfull=1#post676910)of pAlootti vaLarththa kiLi as the first song of SPB under IR's baton

First century on 1st August 2011, with nee thAnE endhan pon vasantham (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-298-பாண்டி-நாட்டுத்தங்கம்-songs&p=718690&viewfull=1#post718690)of ninaivellAm nithyA...interestingly, a movie is now under production with this name (nee thAnE en pon vasantham by Gautam with IR's music).

200th on 16th November 2011, with adhikAlai nEramE (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB-298-பாண்டி-நாட்டுத்தங்கம்-songs&p=768700&viewfull=1#post768700)of meeNdum oru kAdhal kadhai.

Triple century today - 24th Feb 2012, with mAnguyil :-)

Now, there are just 2 months or less to reach the 2nd year :shock:

:nanRi: makkaLE!

Sureshs65
25th February 2012, 08:12 AM
app,

This thread is definitely one of the greatest achievements in tfmpage history. Should rank along with Manisekaran's writings on Raja. What an extraordinary effort you have put over 2 yrs. I say this because I tried doing a Rare Raja series on twitter and I couldn't get beyond 80 songs. Remember, it was twitter and all I had to do was give a link and then drop in a couple of tweets about that song. Even that was tough and I couldn't carry it beyond 80. So I can fully appreciate the magnitude of what you did.

Contrary to what you may believe, people did enjoy reading your experiences. I am sure other than those who commented, there are lot of silent spectators who would have enjoyed reading about your college and early work days. (Not to mention the 'almost love story' experience :lol: ) Great work by you and all praise that you get is fully deserved.

venkkiram
25th February 2012, 09:49 AM
:nanRi: makkaLE!

நன்றி உங்கள் சேவைக்கு! அக மகிழ்ந்தோம்!

மாங்குயிலே பற்றி ஒரு சில வார்த்தைகள்:

1) கல்லூரி முடிந்துவிட்டிருந்த வயதில் பதிவுசெய்யப்பட்ட ஒரு பழைய இசைக் கச்சேரியை வீடியோ கேசட்டில் பார்க்கும் வாய்ப்பு . அதில் பாலு ராஜாவிடம் மாங்குயிலே பாடலைப் பற்றி சுவாரஸ்யமாக கேட்பார். அதற்கு ராஜா "மாங்குயிலே" பாடலை பாடிக்காட்டி அதிலிருந்து "ராத்திரியில் பூத்திருக்கும்" பாடலுக்கு தாவுவார். இரண்டுமே ஒன்றுதான் எனச் சொல்வார். பாலு அசந்து போவார். இதைப்பார்த்துவுடன் எனக்கு தலைகால் புரியவில்லை. ஏனெனில் கல்லூரி கடைசி ஆண்டு விழாவிற்கான அந்தாக்ஷரி பாடல் போட்டி- ஐந்து சுற்றுக்களில் ஒன்றிற்கு வித்யாசமாக யோசித்து செயல்படுத்தினேன். அதாவது ஒரு பாடலில் பல்லவியை/சரணத்தை இன்னொரு பாடலின் பல்லவி/சரணத்தின் மேல் பாடிக்காட்டுவது. அப்படிப்பட்ட வகையில் உருவாக்கி வைத்திருந்த ஆறேழு பாடலில் முதலில் நான் யோசித்தது மாங்குயிலே பாடலை ராத்திரியில் பூத்திருக்கும் பாடலின் ராகத்தில் பாடிக்காட்டுவது. போட்டியாளர்கள் தங்கமகன் என்பதைக் கண்டுபிடித்து அதிலிருந்து இன்னொரு பாடலை பாடிக்காட்டனும். அப்போதான் முழு மதிப்பெண்கள்.

2) ட்ரம்ஸ் சிவமணியிடம் ஒரு ரேடியோ பண்பலையில் உங்களுக்கு பிடித்த தாளக்கட்டுக்கள் நிறைந்த ஒரு சினிமாப் பாடல் எது? என்று கேட்கப்பட்டது. சற்றும் தாமதிக்காமல் அவர் குறிப்பிட்டது "கரக்காட்டக்காரன் படத்தில் வரும் மாங்குயிலே"

V_S
25th February 2012, 09:51 AM
App,
That was a superb write-up on one of the best song (and best soundtrack) in tfm history :clap: Could not believe we have come to the 300th day. I agree with Suresh ji for your monumental effort. Hats off! :notworthy: It is no way possible to carry 300 continuous days and still more days to come. I also concur, this is one of the best threads in tfmpage history. It was a great nostalgic trip you had taken us to. Best wishes for many more posts to come.

venkkiram
25th February 2012, 10:01 AM
பல வடிவங்களில் மாங்குயிலே பூங்குயிலே - ராஜாவிடமிருந்து

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP6c1Xyytj8&feature=related

app_engine
25th February 2012, 11:12 AM
mikka nanRi, Sureshji!

almost

mikka nanRi Venkkiram & V_Sji!

dig
namma karakAttakkaran post paNNina nEram pArththu suddenly GA in the news (http://www.dinamani.com/edition/Story.aspx?SectionName=India&artid=557693&SectionID=130&MainSectionID=130&SEO=&Title=கங்கை அமரனை போலீஸார் மிரட்டி பொய் சாட்சி சொல்ல வைத்தனர்) headlines :shock: enna oru coincidence!
end-dig

crvenky
25th February 2012, 12:20 PM
There were many avtars of this song also - one from Thambi Pondatti (Tamil) and Shiva Shankar (Telugu).

Tamil version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju0VhKQHQ3c

Telugu version of the song (Endhirayyo) with Rock'ish type interludes.

Raga link: http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=17031

Sureshs65
25th February 2012, 03:06 PM
Venky,

I love the Telugu version a lot. Superb energy and Swarnalatha. She is superb in this song.

Bala (Karthik)
25th February 2012, 04:25 PM
Contrary to what you may believe, people did enjoy reading your experiences. Great work by you and all praise that you get is fully deserved.
Absolutely!!

Bala (Karthik)
25th February 2012, 04:27 PM
I strongly prefer the karagam version of மாங்குயிலே பூங்குயிலே

Nerd
25th February 2012, 09:36 PM
App caught up on the story. Excellent sir, thoroughly arresting and yes it was incredibly funny at places. The skid/crash in front of the girls for example. And loved the nicknames you (or your colleagues) gave to them. Also your wife's 'sweet ellaam senju koduppeengalaamE' I can imagine :lol: And the last line of the story, like everybody said, very very touching. I can feel the (emotional) emptiness.

If there is something I want to point out (kaal amukkuradhOda niruthikkO karuthu sollaathannu sonnaalum) You can cut down on the detailing a little bit. The recent kozhipaarai bit for example.

And can you pls. translate "vAy nOkkAn pOyOdO?", "chumbichchu madhiyAkki" and "enthu rasam ee paiyyans" :oops:

And karagam, entirely with you on reserving this for the 300. What an earth-shattering album. Perhaps the *most* popular Raaja album ever. Keep it going sir, what an awesome ride it has been :bow:

Do you think we will hit 350?

app_engine
25th February 2012, 10:50 PM
mikka nanRi Nerd!

Especially for the constructive criticism :-) Yes, me too started feeling uneasy about getting too local on details...though late, will improve on it for the rest of the journey.

With still some more albums in 1989 and another 2-3 strong years, it appears like 365 (one whole year of SPB-IR) may be possible...or, it will be quite close to that.

Translations :
vAy nOkkAn pOyOdO - literally : 'did you go to look at the mouths' (i.e. "eyeing around females?"...vAy-mouth, nOkkAn - to see, pO- go , all Thamizh words only)

chumbichchu mathiyAkki - 'pOdhum pOdhumnu solRa aLavukku muththam koduththAnga' (chumbanam - kiss, mathi - enough)

enthu rasam ee paiyyans - literally : 'what a tasty boys these' :lol: (enthu - what, rasam - taste, ee - these, paiyyans - boys, mark of appreciation for the "sweet-looking" boys, more because of my "Kamal-like-but-6-feet" buddy and not me :-) also, we both didn't have moustache at that time)

app_engine
25th February 2012, 11:02 PM
nanRi, B(K) for the appreciation!

app_engine
25th February 2012, 11:17 PM
பல வடிவங்களில் மாங்குயிலே பூங்குயிலே - ராஜாவிடமிருந்து

Reminded me of the 'rAsAvE unnai' phrase used with different 'tunes' in three movies (all hits) :

rAsAvE onna nAn eNNiththAn (thanikkAttu rAJA, SPS)

rAsAvE onna nambi intha rOsAppoo irukkudhunga (mudhal mariyAdhai, SJ)

rAsAvE, unnai vida mAttEn (araNmaNaikkiLi, SJ) - recently heard this song and liked it!

baroque
25th February 2012, 11:17 PM
:musicsmile:

congrats, App_eng!

rocking at tfmpage, We love you!

Karagattakkaran is a stunner!

namakkellam tamizh cinema isai endraal ilayaraajadhaan, none ignites fire in our manasu & mind like him.

maangkuyiley.... is IR-SPB masterpiece, I think it tops the chart forever for its, orchestration & lyrics - rag kirwani pallavi.( manassiloru poomaalaa koruthuvachchathaaraanu..., மண்ணில் இந்த காதல் அன்றி....,aane waala pal jaane wala hain..... same bhaavam)

கால தழுவி நிக்கும் கனகமணி கொலுசு
யம்மா நானாக மாற இப்போ நெனக்குதம்மா மனசு...

உள்ள இருக்குரீக வெளிய என்ன பேச்சு...அய்யா
ஒன்னும் புரியல மனசு எங்க போச்சு...

I simply melt every time!

none knows to take care of girl's manasu like Ilayaraja & SPB.

vinatha.

app_engine
25th February 2012, 11:41 PM
There were many avtars of this song also - one from Thambi Pondatti (Tamil) and Shiva Shankar (Telugu).

Hearing this version for the first time, thank you crvenky!

I love the way Nagesh shakes his head, miss him so much!

app_engine
25th February 2012, 11:42 PM
mikka nanRi, baroque!

none knows to take care of girl's manasu like Ilayaraja & SPB.

Thank you for the insight!

baroque
26th February 2012, 12:26 AM
:-D

vinatha

Plum
26th February 2012, 07:40 AM
App - praise panni panni vaai valikkudhu. Konja naaL kazhichu praise paNdrEn :). Add raasave unnai kaanadha nenju. Ippo dhaan aranmanakili song kekkaringalaa? Indha paattellam hit/genius kanakkula serkaadha "90s ir zimbly washte" aRivili koottathai ennAnnu solRadhu?

app_engine
26th February 2012, 12:41 PM
Plum :-)

Good catch on the 'rAsAvE onna kANAtha nenju', the fourth variation in melody to the same two words! (My mind normally plays only the PJ version and screens off the PS version, otherwise I should have included that as well)...

What a brain of creativity!

app_engine
26th February 2012, 12:44 PM
In the future, if someone questions about rAsA's ability to create melody for "pre-written" lyrics, both the mAnguyilE youtube that Venkkiram posted and the four variations of 'rAsAvE onna' should simbly bandh their zubAn's :-)

Plum
26th February 2012, 01:21 PM
Permutation and Combination theory nallA padichu vechurukkAr: in Aranamanai kiLi, Ra gets the extension - so much so that sometimes I hear it as "raa saavae", as in "come o death", thereby putting me off the song. In Vaidehi, Saa gets the elongation while in mudhal mariyaadhai vE gets elaborated and in Thanikaattu raja, all of them are short. I think he can make another few variations of the phrase with the word "rasve" alone.

PARAMASHIVAN
26th February 2012, 09:59 PM
Malre ennene kolam ethanal en meethu kobam by SPB, was it a SG composition?

app_engine
27th February 2012, 02:05 AM
Malre ennene kolam ethanal en meethu kobam by SPB, was it a SG composition?

It's credited to S-G in the movie "auto rAjA" (Vijayakanth) but merely a dubbed song of what Rajan Nagendra done in Kannada, as per this dhool SOTD post (http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4674)

The same movie had the famous IR song 'sangaththil pAdAtha kavidhai' (aka thumbi vA...gum sum gum...etc)

app_engine
27th February 2012, 02:57 AM
#301 ஏய் அய்யா சாமி
(வருஷம் 16 , 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3969'&lang=en)

Ey ayyA sAmy (varusham 16, with KSC)

saraNam is so sweet in this, especially the first line is pure honey! Both SPB & KSC excel in bringing both the kuRumbu & kAdhal in this song which is also an adi-dhadi percussion delight! I've seen the original Malayalam movie (ennennum kaNNEttande) which was a sweet movie, though with limited success. OTOH, the Thamizh remake was a mega hit - with Karthik & Kushboo - but my colleague who watched this was so upset with the modifications done for the TF. Happily, I didn't have to suffer that (as I never watched this movie in theater). IIRC, I watched portions of it on the web years later but I don't think I've seen the revised climax etc. In any case, the ending in ennennum was too classy (for me) to be changed...

The "main" songs went to KJY (one that describes the girl as fruit garden, shore of gangAmA & melting heart). My most fav from this movie (the only song I had in my personal recordings those days) was / is "poo pookkum mAsam" (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3968'&lang=en), a wonder in film music! Some instrumental expert please come and explain us how IR has achieved that wonderful adi-dhadi arrangement for the pallavi! Though the Malayalam movie had a couple of sweet songs, they were not anywhere close to the TFM (dEva dundhubi was excellent and even 'poovattaka thathichchinni', which is the equivalent of today's song is decent...Jerry Amaldev was the composer, who worked with Fazil for the original of poovE poochchooda vA also - nOkkaththA dhooraththu kaNNum nattu, he supposedly had music lessons in USA).

All the songs of V16 were big hits in TN & Palakkad - and most are evergreen to this day!

app_engine
27th February 2012, 03:13 AM
youtube for ayyA sAmy is of very poor quality, still I want to share it here because this is another case of SPB giving voice to a comedian (Charlie) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuXWgt64mYY&feature=related

app_engine
27th February 2012, 03:42 AM
#302 கற்புடைய ஆம்பளைங்க ஊருக்குள்ளே
(தங்கமான ராசா, 1989 ) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3554'&lang=en)

kaRpudaiya AmbaLainga oorukkuLLE (thangamAna rAsA, 1989)

Don't know much about this movie - except reading some comedy stuff in the Goundamani thread in TF section. This song sounds very familiar, however...possibly heard a number of times during bus journeys inside south TN (though not exactly in 80's but later on). The youtube has the same karagam pair in this song (Ramarajan - Kanaga) doing very similar expressions as in the other movie. Possibly a follow-up after the big hit. Composing this song should have been 1/4th of a day in office for rAsA and singing it could have been 1/8th of a day in office for Bala. MGR-ish tune (possibly a very similar old song exists) and very janaranjaga / pattikkAttu style orchestration. Those who are following rAsa music for a long time may not be so impressed with this number. However, churning out hit after hit in this fashion is no joke. Also, the song itself is no small thing to compose, if one views from a "budding composer" angle :wink:

Here's the youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tArwuVsNQCM

app_engine
27th February 2012, 03:44 AM
Here's a comedy scene from thangamAna rAsA (GM has dreams to sing in rAsA music it appears) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUr6htGwntU

Was this movie a commercial success?

PARAMASHIVAN
27th February 2012, 06:59 PM
It's credited to S-G in the movie "auto rAjA" (Vijayakanth) but merely a dubbed song of what Rajan Nagendra done in Kannada, as per this dhool SOTD post (http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4674)

The same movie had the famous IR song 'sangaththil pAdAtha kavidhai' (aka thumbi vA...gum sum gum...etc)

Oh Thanks :)

Amazing Song, Like mentioned b4, bought a CD called "Genius" which has all the 1970-1980 songs, there were many songs which I did not hear before :shock:

V_S
27th February 2012, 08:40 PM
Varusham 16 is one of very few movies I watched more than 5 times when it was released. Excellent family drama. Mainly loved IR's music, VKR, Janakaraj performances and of course for young and new Kushbu (her second film right?). Thangamaana Raasa is not a big hit, may be it did average business, but we mainly went for the movie expecting another karagam type of movie, but it was purely Annan and Maestro's show. Those days, as usual I love Ramarajan's non-acting skills compared to Karthik's embarrassing acting skills. :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
27th February 2012, 08:43 PM
new Kushbu (her second film right?)
Yes

In this Film, all the best songs were by KJY :)

srimal
27th February 2012, 09:20 PM
Thangamana Rasa had a very interesting screenplay, but its was all so underplayed that it lost its appeal... innum nalla eduthirukkalaam mathiri ellarum disappoint anadha sollvanga... overexpectation probably killed the film !! Ramarajan wasnt so flashily dressed and Kanaga lost her appeal - but the story was interesting.!!

I think appove video casettela partha padam idhu !!

as for varsham 16, college bunk senji pala murai partha padam - ippo tv potta songs mattum thaan pakkaraen :( poo pookum masam is my favorite !!

app_engine
27th February 2012, 09:41 PM
poo pookum masam is my favorite !!

vAnga srimal, neenga namma settu :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
27th February 2012, 10:39 PM
App Anna

I guess the Next movie on your list would be the "much" talked about movie called "kEladi Kanmani" :)

app_engine
27th February 2012, 10:47 PM
#303 இரு விழியின் வழியே நீயா வந்து போனது?
(சிவா, 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3382'&lang=en)

iru vizhiyin vazhiyE neeyA vandhu pOnadhu? (sivA, with KSC)

Perhaps one of the Rajini movies of 80's that didn't have as much success as his other products (reasonably so because I simply couldn't complete watching the movie on DVD :wink: -despite a few patient attempts - horrible and could never watch beyond a limited time). wikipedia even says it was rated 'A' (I don't know for what). Supposedly a kalaichchelvam (original "khoon pasinA" of BachchanAm) produced by KB with Ameer Jaan directing it. The director had a successful debut with poovilangu which also launched (late) Murali. I don't remember whether he had any other significant product.

The movie also had Shobana who was having a great run in Malayalam during this time, frequently doing movies with M & M. Possibly her first with Rajini (before romancing him in that magnum opus 'sundari kaNNAl oru sEthi'). Her wiki says she is acting in 'kOchchadaiyAn' also (adhula yArellAm technology yArellAm real-nnu theriyalai...plus, can't say if she is doing Rajini's ammA role which will be hilarious to me...Soundarya says -she was the "only choice for the role" as the character was written keeping her in mind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kochadaiyaan) :roll: ).

The song is quite melodious - somewhat similar to the two duets of agni* but with SPB here and was easily a favourite with me those days. Still has not lost the appeal with both singers rendering it to perfection! It has a nice pace too and any director with some imagination could have picturized this brilliantly - I don't know how this looks on screen (will check out the youtube later today).

app_engine
27th February 2012, 10:51 PM
App Anna

I guess the Next movie on your list would be the "much" talked about movie called "kEladi Kanmani" :)

Do you mean 'puthupputhu arthangaL', that had the song 'kELadi kaNmaNi'? I think the movie 'kELadi kaNmaNi' starring SPB happened in 1990...

app_engine
27th February 2012, 10:52 PM
In any case, there's another SPB-KSC hit in sivA and after that we'll take our Guruvayoor trip :-)

PARAMASHIVAN
27th February 2012, 11:06 PM
Do you mean 'puthupputhu arthangaL', that had the song 'kELadi kaNmaNi'? I think the movie 'kELadi kaNmaNi' starring SPB happened in 1990...

Yes I meant the Film Keladi Kanmani, yes you are right, it was released in 1990 :oops:

By the way, I hope u got my PM today, no need to reply :)

Shiva had awesome song!

genesis
27th February 2012, 11:22 PM
#301 ஏய் அய்யா சாமி
(வருஷம் 16 , 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3969'&lang=en)

I am not sure about story, drama, music etc... but Kushbu was one of the main reason for the success of this movie. One of my classmate watched this movie at least 5 times just for Kushbu. He was quite frank about it too. From other hubbers post here, I guess many more young hearts at that time got smitten by this beauty.

I don't remember whether I watched this movie in theater... both the movie and Kushbu did not leave much impact on me. In 1989, I was all into "Mere Rang Mein Rangne Wali" of MPK... years later I came to know about it's original.

PARAMASHIVAN
27th February 2012, 11:26 PM
I don't remember whether I watched this movie in theater... both the movie and Kushbu did not leave much impact on me. In 1989, I was all into "Mere Rang Mein Rangne Wali" of MPK... years later I came to know about it's original.

Er varusham 16 was re make of MPK :shock:

genesis
27th February 2012, 11:30 PM
#303 இரு விழியின் வழியே நீயா வந்து போனது?
(சிவா, 1989 , சித்ராவுடன்) (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3382'&lang=en)

I remember too well watching this horror... I had couple of hours to kill in a afternoon and went to this movie. Even though today this movie is remembered for songs, watching it in theater was pure torture. I only thing I remember is: Once in a while Raghuvaran appears in a low rider motor cycle and asks passers-by "உங்களுக்கு சிவாவை தெரியுமா?"... கொடுமைடா சாமி!!!

venkkiram
27th February 2012, 11:32 PM
I am not sure about story, drama, music etc... but Kushbu was one of the main reason for the success of this movie. One of my classmate watched this movie at least 5 times just for Kushbu. He was quite frank about it too. From other hubbers post here, I guess many more young hearts at that time got smitten by this beauty.

அதுவும் அந்த பலகீனமான பதினெண் பருவத்தில்..ம்.. சொல்லவே வேணாம்! (இதுக்கு மேல.. இதை ரொம்ப நாகரிகமா என்னால சொல்ல முடியல!) இதுபோன்ற உயிர்ப்பான காதல் கதைக்கு அவங்களோட பங்களிப்பு எங்கேயோ கொண்டு போயிடுச்சி!

genesis
27th February 2012, 11:32 PM
Er varusham 16 was re make of MPK :shock:

No... It was the biggest hit for SPB in 1989... His Hindi career took off with MPK..

"Mere Rang Mein Rangne Wali" of MPK is a copy of The Final Countdown(Europe).

Hindi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4g9zKRe-Is

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyggY_R3jU8

V_S
27th February 2012, 11:37 PM
Exactly, I agree with genesis and venkkiram!. Definitely, we never saw such a beauty and innocence together, that time. The way Fazil told and folded the love story with Kushboo's charisma, it went straight into our hearts. Kushboo became a house-hold name after this film.

baroque
28th February 2012, 01:54 AM
Oh, God! you are hosting IRU VIZHIYIN VAZHIYE.... today!:musicsmile:

I yet to snap out of my weekend addiction of MALARGALE NAADHASWARANGAL.....Vasu with Janu's HAMSADHWANI .

IRU VIZHIYIN VAZHIYE....dazzling composition, Chithra's humming, Bala's smooth, speedy romance:bluejump:, lilting tune, flute, strings & trumpet:bluejump:

wonderful pattu break for me this lunch hr, App_eng!

Will return back for your kahanies & rest of your featured songs this evening.

love,

vinatha.

app_engine
28th February 2012, 02:23 AM
nanRi, baroque!
BTW, not much kahanees in these posts :-)

I'm saving some of them for kalyANa mAlai & guruvAyoorappA :-)

V_S
28th February 2012, 06:05 AM
Wonderful songs in Siva, thanks for the pick App. Remember watching this film in Ganga-Yamuna-Kaveri (Karpagam) complex in 100ft Rd, Coimbatore during my college days. Even when we got updates about the film before watching it, still we went for Rajini and Raja, mainly because of my neighbor's influence during my school days. Those days we never worried about how the film would be, just two three basic criteria were needed; Music, hero, heroine, comedy. Nevertheless, every song is worth preserving. Beautiful feeling to hum these songs. Iru Vizhiyin is my pick slightly ahead of Adi Vaanmathi, Ada MaappiLai and VeLLikizhamai. I remember recording this song first in my cassette followed by Adi vaanmathi.

genesis
28th February 2012, 07:05 AM
Wonderful songs in Siva, thanks for the pick App. Remember watching this film in Ganga-Yamuna-Kaveri (Karpagam) complex in 100ft Rd, Coimbatore during my college days. Even when we got updates about the film before watching it, still we went for Rajini and Raja, mainly because of my neighbor's influence during my school days. Those days we never worried about how the film would be, just two three basic criteria were needed; Music, hero, heroine, comedy. Nevertheless, every song is worth preserving. Beautiful feeling to hum these songs. Iru Vizhiyin is my pick slightly ahead of Adi Vaanmathi, Ada MaappiLai and VeLLikizhamai. I remember recording this song first in my cassette followed by Adi vaanmathi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siva_%281989_film%29

"The film grossed $3 million at the box office" - How do people "collect" such rare statistics?

V_S
28th February 2012, 07:32 AM
:roll: That's a news to me. As far as I know, it was not a even a hit, saying it as a 'blockbuster' and did $3million collection is really surprising. I don't know.

groucho070
28th February 2012, 08:40 AM
Siva, a film I actually liked and Plum will testify that I got weird taste. I've had the opportunity to watch the original, of course, Rajini is funnier but the original was better in quality...if such thing is possible.

Songs are all lovely. App, hope you don't miss the song I posted on Facebook when I got to know that my wife is pregnant. By the way, did I congratulate you on the 300th post? If not, here's another one, edutukOngga :smile:

baroque
28th February 2012, 09:24 AM
Hey, you are hosting KARPUDAIYA AAMBALAINGA......
:redjump:
rhythmic delight with awesome bass & flute melody!
Raja blasts bhangra beats, S.P.BALA in his teasing mood with his goshti. rombaththaane!:bluejump:

oh... you are bringing your juicy stories for the future songs, OK :)

vinatha.

Plum
28th February 2012, 10:52 AM
Grouch - ofcourse you've got weird taste. Siva...eeeks. If not for Raja, it will be in the dustbins of history by now. Rajini went overboard with remaking Amitji movies - this is a good testimony to the fact. Ameer John - the most garib john among KB's assistants in terms of talent - was patronized by his Guru alone. One more movie Unnai Cholli kutramillai with Karthik-Sithara followed. Can't remember any SPB hit from this but Kjy-KSc's sorgathin vaasarpadi and one more by Usha Uthup were popular songs. Think it was KB again who took the risk of producing a movie with John as director. KB famously refused to produce another disciple's vehicle, eventually made by Vivek Chitra Sundaram. That will be covered in 1990 as already referred by Faram and App. Mis-judgement by the master film maker.

A_S
28th February 2012, 11:26 AM
App, Siva has two SPB solos (one that Grouch had mentioned above (IMHO, this song was better picturized than the others in the movie) and Ada Mapilla). Hope these two songs will be covered.

Had a question on whether Agneepath (original Bacchan movie) got re-made by Rajini in Tamil. Apparently the original Agneepath was not a BO hit and the recent Hrithik starrer has done very well (apparently this movie was the inspiration for the recent chennai school incident).

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 03:45 PM
No... It was the biggest hit for SPB in 1989... His Hindi career took off with MPK..

yes , I knew that, he was default choice for salman till 94

app_engine
28th February 2012, 05:39 PM
nanRi, V_Sji for the kind words and your Cbe experience with the movie!

:roll: That's a news to me. As far as I know, it was not a even a hit, saying it as a 'blockbuster' and did $3million collection is really surprising. I don't know.

This should prove how far one can trust wikipedia articles - they are handy and can be referred every now and then but not totally believed :-)

app_engine
28th February 2012, 05:42 PM
App, hope you don't miss the song I posted on Facebook when I got to know that my wife is pregnant. By the way, did I congratulate you on the 300th post? If not, here's another one, edutukOngga :smile:

mikka nanRi, groucho!
I'm not sure what was attractive to you in Siva...

BTW, while I don't know what song you posted on FB, the only pending song from that movie is adi vAnmathi (booked for today). I haven't heard the others before and hence cannot post :oops:

app_engine
28th February 2012, 05:45 PM
Ameer John

I think he is Ameer "Jaan" - अमीर जान - (not yOvAn the disciple of Jesus but the urdu word for "life") :-)

app_engine
28th February 2012, 05:47 PM
App, Siva has two SPB solos (one that Grouch had mentioned above (IMHO, this song was better picturized than the others in the movie) and Ada Mapilla). Hope these two songs will be covered.

eppadi sAr correct'A enakku parichchayam illAtha pAttukaLai labakkunnu pidikkiReenga :-) :oops:

I guess those two will have to be in the 'app-missed-geethams'

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 06:06 PM
Ada Mapllila

SPB / Rajni were hilarious

Esp along the lines, when usilai mani comes in

" AiyAr enga pONeenga Vangona inge adaikitu vareeng" Usilai's walk :rotfl:

Bala (Karthik)
28th February 2012, 07:00 PM
Not a fan of Siva songs. Except "Ada Mappilla" - superb

A_S
28th February 2012, 07:54 PM
App, looks like the number of songs in "app-missed-geethams' will be in double digits when you wind up covering all IR-SPB hits.
Including these two songs, the current count stands at 5.

Have provided the links for siva songs so that you can hear and then make a call on whether you can cover these.
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/album/T0000162.html

As you would have already noticed, "Adi Kannathaa" song (that Grouch has also referred to) has 5 star rating (that the two SPB-KSC duets have got). It has all the usual IR elements in it and can get into any IR-SPB hits list for sure. Ada Mappila is a situation based song (for making Super* fans happy). SPB & IR would have done their best to make this also worth listening.
Like what is being in the other IR songs thread, someone else can write couple of lines about these songs if you couldn't cover this.

app_engine
28th February 2012, 08:06 PM
A_S,

As you're aware, to define whether a song was / is hit or not is not totally an objective phenomenon.

Some are overwhelmingly popular and unquestionably hits (mAnguyilE, for e.g.)

For other songs, my criteria is "I should have heard this involuntarily (bus / teakkadai / radio etc) " to include in this compilation :-) Unfortunately, during late-80's / 90's, I could have missed listening to songs that were hits in TN. We'll request people familiar with those numbers to chip in the details later on :-)

Nerd
28th February 2012, 08:46 PM
Why does it always happen to Rajini films? :twisted: App_e, you hosted a host of mokkai blade songs from naanum oru thozhilaaLi for example..

Just kidding, pls. continue :oops: Can't wait to read about your kalyaaNa maalai..

PARAMASHIVAN
28th February 2012, 09:01 PM
Not a fan of Siva songs. Except "Ada Mappilla" - superb

:shock:

Adi vanmathi was a blockbuster. Really a romantic song! I liked "iru vizhiyin " more though :)