PDA

View Full Version : ~~ Gadgets - Performance, Looks, Apps, Hottest Models ~~

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd November 2011, 02:44 AM
Any hubbers in US, any of you know any employee from Apple? Apple employees has an discount offer of ~25% in buying Mac Products. My friend is in need of one. Kindly PM me or post here itself. Thanks in Advance :)

VENKIRAJA
3rd November 2011, 11:23 PM
Ok, final call - Panasonic Lumix FZ40 or Sony HX100V or Canon SX30IS? I have added all these 3 along with 16GB card + battery packs. Based on the inputs will decide which one to go with

Sony - Strictly No.
1. Non-availability of spares/ service.
2. Price.
3. Bad accesory support.
4. Proprietary hardware like their rusticated memory sticks.

Canon - Recommended to my roomie, cause we didn't get Panasonic in Udupi :|
Good deal. Cheaper than Panasonic, I guess.
Wide availability of accesories/ spares/ service.

Panasonic :victory:
Brilliant piece of technology. Used it myself and I consider myself a bit unlucky for choosing a Nikon entry level DSLR (D40) ahead of this one. But, mine was a professional case. So couldn't complain :wink:
Swivel LCD to take photos among a crowd.
Brilliant range (Better than Nikon p500 or Canon SX30)
Best seller for years. Tested and Proven product.
Is sturdier and lighter, I believe.

hamid
4th November 2011, 12:09 AM
Samsung 6 series got good reviews. I saw a 5 series LED and it was good. 6 series should be definitely better. Sony LED vaangaradha irundha HX series vaangunga.

thanks LM.. just bought samsung [6 series 3D+LED].. :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th November 2011, 02:55 AM
Any hubbers in US, any of you know any employee from Apple? Apple employees has an discount offer of ~25% in buying Mac Products. My friend is in need of one. Kindly PM me or post here itself. Thanks in Advance :)

Anybody?! :)

VENKIRAJA
12th November 2011, 03:06 PM
Sakala annan and others.. Finally decided to get a droid next week.
15k budget.
I have Defy as my first preference.. Is there a cheaper equivalent?

satissh_r
12th November 2011, 03:52 PM
Venkiraja, I'm loving my Sony Ericsson Neo V, its my first android and its worth a buy but would cost you 2k more... Defy+ is priced at 18K in Flipkart..

VENKIRAJA
12th November 2011, 04:49 PM
Venkiraja, I'm loving my Sony Ericsson Neo V, its my first android and its worth a buy but would cost you 2k more... Defy+ is priced at 18K in Flipkart..
Internal memory of SE Xperia Neo is 300 mb :roll:

Defy Plus is pure hype.
They've simply overclocked the same processor, nothing much except from that it seems.

I was talking about the Defy at 14.8k (After 600 cashback).

littlemaster1982
12th November 2011, 05:43 PM

Satissh,

I'm thinking of buying this one. Sila kelvigal :)

1. How is the battery backup?
2. Earphones provided - IEM or normal earbuds?
3. This is a trivial thing - is it possible to create a playlist by adding songs one by one from various folders? I can't do this in my Samsung phone and it drives me mad.
4. If possible can you try Swype text input (http://beta.swype.com/) in your phone and see if it works?

Innum niraiya doubt irundhudhu, gnabagam vara mattengudhu :|

littlemaster1982
12th November 2011, 05:44 PM
thanks LM.. just bought samsung [6 series 3D+LED].. :)

Just saw this post. Congrats :thumbsup:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th November 2011, 05:55 PM
Venkiraja annan, I am suggesting you buy Spice Mi-410. Some ppl think spice is a low quality mobile comp. like mixromax, lava etc. Thats true for most but this model is a rebranded one from Huawei IDEOS X6. Huawei is top 3 company worldwide, in handset making. So quality is not an issue. Apart from very slight differences in display size, this phone is best for its specs and price. Kindly take time and see the below links. If you want a more better branded one, go for any one of ur choice, among this - http://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/compare?ids=MOBCZQ5BE9CHAZRH,MOBCV6QCF9AQU7A4,MOBD YV9EYYZG6HSK,MOBD2KRKEAVQFZCF

Comparision btw both phones
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3595&idPhone2=4053
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomparer&id1=2736&id2=2924

Reviews
http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phone-buying-advice/comparasion-spice-mi-410-vs-huawei-197959.html
http://igyaan.in/2011/07/spice-mi-410-full-review/
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spice+mi-410&aq=f

http://www.spiceglobal.com/SpiceMobiles/Model.aspx?Id=200
http://www.saholic.com/mobile-phones/spice-mi-410-1001661

You can locate the chennai dealer and buy, as this phone is not retailing in online sites and shops. Price is 13k.

satissh_r
12th November 2011, 06:08 PM
How is the battery backup?

Having used a low end phone for a year prior to buying this one, I found the battery backup poor for the first few days. Then I learnt to manage it better by switching of the brightness and closing unnecassary apps while not in use, now the battery lasts for a day and a half.

Earphones provided - IEM or normal earbuds?

Normal earphones, sound quality is very good but volume is not enough if you use it while travelling or in a crowded place

This is a trivial thing - is it possible to create a playlist by adding songs one by one from various folders? I can't do this in my Samsung phone and it drives me mad.

Tried it, possible here :)

If possible can you try Swype text input (http://beta.swype.com/) in your phone and see if it works?

I'm not comfortable with the QWERTY keyboard having never used it before(I use the alphanumeric keyboard still) so give me a few days, I'll install it, try it and then will let you know

Innum niraiya doubt irundhudhu, gnabagam vara mattengudhu

Eppappo nyabagam varutho appappo kelunga, I'll be glad to answer :)

littlemaster1982
12th November 2011, 06:27 PM
Normal earphones, sound quality is very good but volume is not enough if you use it while travelling or in a crowded place

That's bad. For a phone like this, I thought they would provide the same earphones they give for walkman phones. See the pic below.

http://st.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/sony-ericsson-xperia-neo/gal/2/gsmarena_018.jpg

I'm not comfortable with the QWERTY keyboard having never used it before(I use the alphanumeric keyboard still) so give me a few days, I'll install it, try it and then will let you know

I have swype in my samsung, trust me - it's the most easiest way to type a message. I know it is there for android too, just wanted to know if it works in SE Neo.

Eppappo nyabagam varutho appappo kelunga, I'll be glad to answer :)

:ty: :ty: for the answers. Will be back with more q.s later.

satissh_r
12th November 2011, 06:49 PM
That's bad. For a phone like this, I thought they would provide the same earphones they give for walkman phones.

From what I've read in various reviews and forums it seems that each region gets a different version of the earphones. UK la ellam IEM types than, India la than ippadi pola... But I still love the sound quality, if only it could be louder

I have swype in my samsung, trust me - it's the most easiest way to type a message. I know it is there for android too, just wanted to know if it works in SE Neo..

Sure Master, will try it out

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th November 2011, 07:18 PM
LM, i guess all sony phones will have the same earphones like one what u have put, becos, my wife uses Yendo, (worst phone !) and it had same earphones in the pic. But yes, sound quality may not be like Bose headphones. I used it with PC and my phone, it was nice, no problem.

sathya_1979
13th November 2011, 07:30 AM
Ok Tehcno Gurus! One more suggestion / reekost.
I am tempted to buy a Macbook Pro - Windows Person all my life, but would not take long to learn a new OS / System
At the same time, also tempted by Android Tablets and Smart Phones. But cannot buy both Macbook and Android Tablet / SmartPhone Combo at the same time.
Requirements - Movie Watching, Reading News, Hub (Default :) ), Chat and Mail, Songs. I am not a gaming person. Sumaal interest in Audio / Video / Photo editing with basic tools
When I return to India, not inclined to go for pricey data plans, just GPRS would do while travelling to office.
Which one do you suggest in this case?

sathya_1979
13th November 2011, 07:52 AM
Ogay! Sony Experia Arc or Samsung Galasxy S2?

sathya_1979
13th November 2011, 07:54 AM
Also, need inputs on Tablets, found 100s of brands while searching for Android Tablets. edhu decentaa adhE samayam reasonable priceaa irukkum? Definitely 10 inch and no 7 inch.

hamid
13th November 2011, 10:40 AM
Just saw this post. Congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks LM.. this seems a good buy.. My parents do like it..
I also bought one Samsung 5000 series [LED, no 3D] for my in laws.. I checked with the store fellow for internet connectivity and he said it is there.I also made sure it has a ethernet port. But when I took it to India we have found Internet connectivity is only for software update and no internet applications can be used :( except that other things are fine.. maybe I could have gone for the same series 6 model.. it was worth it.. [3D+SMART tv, 3D kit, 3d Disc] for 600 extra Riyals.. ie. around 8.5K INR. hmm..

littlemaster1982
13th November 2011, 11:20 AM
LM, i guess all sony phones will have the same earphones like one what u have put, becos, my wife uses Yendo, (worst phone !) and it had same earphones in the pic. But yes, sound quality may not be like Bose headphones. I used it with PC and my phone, it was nice, no problem.

Sony Walkman phones always have earphones as the pic above. Not sure about smartphones. Btw, Bose earphone-ai neenga paaratturadhai naan vanmaiya kandikkiren :twisted:

sathya_1979
13th November 2011, 11:39 AM
anti-bose sanga thalaivar LM kaLamiranguguraar!
I am now torn between Sony, Audio Technica and Klipsch! lemme see

VENKIRAJA
13th November 2011, 01:35 PM
Ogay! Sony Experia Arc or Samsung Galasxy S2?

Samsung Galaxy Note :victory:

satissh_r
13th November 2011, 04:08 PM
anti-bose sanga thalaivar LM kaLamiranguguraar!
I am now torn between Sony, Audio Technica and Klipsch! lemme see

Sathya, I just bought the Audio Technica ATH M50 thhrough ebay... Will give you my feedback soon :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th November 2011, 05:13 PM
Sathya, If u r ready to wait for a month, Asus Transformer Prime will be the 1st Tablet to have 4 core 1Gig CPU. Same as iPad's price - $499.

As for phone, Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Note. If you are going for Note, u probably may not need tablet! Galaxy Note is also releasing in Holiday Season in US! But Indiala release aagiruchi!

sathya_1979
13th November 2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks all for the feedback! Will check it out, buy and post my feedback here soon :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
14th November 2011, 09:30 AM
To Android Fans and Android Lovers: Your Dream Wonder Tablet is Coming (http://technorati.com/technology/gadgets/article/to-android-fans-and-android-lovers/)

rsubras
14th November 2011, 04:13 PM
athellam ok Adarsh eppo release aaga pothu (commerically)? thought it would be available in markets from today on wards (Children's day kaga)........ is it worth waiting for Adarsh or buy a new laptop (for house use, no serious purpose)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
14th November 2011, 06:22 PM
aadarsh ellaam house use kku kooda unfit nga! Unga budget evLo?!? 10K la attagaasamaana tablet, sold by HCL. Its worth buyng for home use. Vaangina appuram veetla kattayam sandai varum! yaaru use panrathunnu! Appuram antha sandaiyaala vantha thalaivalikku (crocin) tablet sappdia vendi irukkum :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
14th November 2011, 07:01 PM
List of Prices of Different Products from Different Android Manufacturers. (http://androidadvices.com/price-list/)
Top 10-Inch Android Tablets – Features, Prices and Specifications
(http://androidadvices.com/top-10-inch-android-tablets-features-prices-specifications/)

rsubras
15th November 2011, 03:03 PM
aadarsh ellaam house use kku kooda unfit nga! Unga budget evLo?!? 10K la attagaasamaana tablet, sold by HCL. Its worth buyng for home use. Vaangina appuram veetla kattayam sandai varum! yaaru use panrathunnu! Appuram antha sandaiyaala vantha thalaivalikku (crocin) tablet sappdia vendi irukkum :lol:

budget pathi lam illa.......... veetula 4 perukku laptop, desktop, 6 mobile (incl the latest motorola android mobile), ipod lam irukku....ithula what value add is a tablet going to provide? (other than probably the attraction it provides through entertainment value) athukku en nirayya spend pannanum nu oru ninaippu than

satissh_r
15th November 2011, 10:35 PM
@ Master, installed and tested Swype, works perfectly :) I have to get used to it though

littlemaster1982
15th November 2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the update :) It doesn't take much time to get used. I'm able to type msgs with a speed almost like in a pc.

Sid_316
16th November 2011, 12:33 AM
Planning to get an iphone.. black friday or christmas time la apple reduce panna vaipu iruka? any idea?

Benny Lava
16th November 2011, 08:20 PM
budget pathi lam illa.......... veetula 4 perukku laptop, desktop, 6 mobile (incl the latest motorola android mobile), ipod lam irukku....ithula what value add is a tablet going to provide? (other than probably the attraction it provides through entertainment value) athukku en nirayya spend pannanum nu oru ninaippu than

I still haven't gotten over the feeling that Tablet is a gadget no one would ever need, particularly with all that can be done on smartphones today. But having said that, things could change if some dedicated touch optimized software come out for the tablets, which can contribute to productivity.

Benny Lava
16th November 2011, 08:56 PM
Ok Tehcno Gurus! One more suggestion / reekost.
I am tempted to buy a Macbook Pro - Windows Person all my life, but would not take long to learn a new OS / System
At the same time, also tempted by Android Tablets and Smart Phones. But cannot buy both Macbook and Android Tablet / SmartPhone Combo at the same time.
Requirements - Movie Watching, Reading News, Hub (Default :) ), Chat and Mail, Songs. I am not a gaming person. Sumaal interest in Audio / Video / Photo editing with basic tools
When I return to India, not inclined to go for pricey data plans, just GPRS would do while travelling to office.
Which one do you suggest in this case?

Sathya, go for a Macbook Air. Mine is almost half year old, and I still haven't stopped loving it! Such an amazing ultrabook to use and handle. With SSD storage and Sandy bridge chips, this laptop is as snappy as you would ever need! OTOH, if you want some gaming experience or bulk video editing jobs, go for a Macbook Pro, it was recently upgraded to Sandy bridge (again if Gaming is a concern, one shouldn't go for a Mac in the first place. For the same budget you can get much better gaming machines).

The OS boots up within 8 seconds, every application launches in a snap... even PS CS 5 loads within 5 seconds thanks to the incredible speed of SSD.

Pros: Cheaper than a MBP but still faster than what most common tasks demand. It's price is the same as what I paid for a HP Pavillion 3 years back, so you can see how well it has come under the reach.
Instant power on & power off. Beautiful backlit keyboard, second only to Lenovo Thinkpad's keyboard among the ones I have tried. The screen is brilliant! (literally!)
Wide touchpad, good accurate response to all the gestures. Trust me once you get used to it, you cant live without it!
No need to mention the build, lightness etc., Very quiet and chill for most operations unless you ask it to fight it out with flash videos where it can get flustered a bit. But still miles better than my old lapstove dv 2601. Battery life is good at 5 hrs solid! But there are other jaw-droppers also in the market for this criteria, only A+.
I agree it is a matter of taste, but it really does feel amazing to use!

Cons:
You will find it tough to live without an optical drive. So far I didn't get chance to test any compatible USB CD drive. But I heard it doesn't support Blue ray at all! A major bummer!
The single hinge buttonless touchpad can get a bit unnerving at times, behaves like a lady. Sometimes you will not be able to convince it to click no matter how much force you employ. Apparently you need to touch it only at appropriate areas.
For a person brought up on windows family of right-clicks and context menus, I still cannot come to terms with lack of a button, leave alone right click button on the track pad. A magic mouse or a normal mouse might solve that problem, but to me mouse itself is an annoyance rather than a relief.
The onboard SSD storage is one of the major advantages, it makes most of the difference in the snappiness of access. But @128 GB for a decent budget model, it is very limited. An additional 128 GB will set you back by 250 USD minimum. Very expensive! You can offset this disadvantage by going for cheap external drives, there are so many out there. just keep the software and critical stuff on SSD, rest on external drive.
If you have an existing external drives with lot of content, beware. You might not be able to write to that using your Mac OS. This is because, it is likely that they are already formatted on NTFS and Mac OS doesn't support writing to NTFS volumes. You can use it as read-only drive. The only way to use external drive as read-write device would be to reformat it as HFS or make the switch to windows OS.

On the whole I am very satisfied with my MBA 13" experience so far, I will recommend it to anyone! Of course you need to have the stomach to digest some of its limitations.

sathya_1979
16th November 2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks TV, just checked the price, MBA with 256 GB SSD comes to $1500. MBP with 500 GB SATA comes to 1700. I can get a Seagate Goflex 1.5 TB Drive (Portable) which works with both PC and MAC without reformatting. Add in another 150 bucks for Parallels or VMWare Virtual Machine and Windows 7.
$2000 - Windows and Mac laptop with lots of space. Sounds good :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th November 2011, 02:03 AM
Sathya, a Laptop as polished as a Macbook shud not be compared with Android Tablets(how shiny they may look) becos Android, that too for Tablets, the Ecosystem is just beginning to get matured. It will surely take few years. If you ask me to chose one out of both, i will reject both or plan to buy both(one after another)

Btw, Macbook is the only laptop where Windows, Mac OS, and linux can co-exist peacefully. Its any day a dream machine! You will never dislike it :D Try to find an apple employee, propably in iStores or thru ur friends. You can buy Macbook 20% cheaper, thru them!

If u prefer Android Tablet for now, let me know, we shall discuss possible options

sathya_1979
17th November 2011, 02:52 AM
Sure Sakala. I will buy both, but after some gap between them, as Tablet is not an immediate requirement for me. I just have my office lappy and severly handicapped without personal lappy. Hence, macbook first and then Tablet.

As you mentioned, I will wait for the Quad Core Tablets and then will go for it.

One basic Question: Most 10 inch Tablets come with an USB Port. Can I use Tata Photon / Relience / Airtel USB Broadband Stick for browsing by plugging them into that USB Port? Given the relatively poor Wi Fi Reach in India, this would help us to avoid continuous network searches (Say when I travel to office / to my hometown).

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th November 2011, 03:31 AM
Sathya, Some tablets have drivers and some doesn't. If you root the device it is possible, but rooting violates warranty. That too this will work for select 3g Dongles which are from Huawei. Generally this is one of the company whose dongles are sold by Airtel Reliance etc. ZTE is another company. So it depends on the Dongle's model.

But if you have an Android Phone u can browse in ur tablet, by connecting to phone via WiFi.

sathya_1979
17th November 2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks. Going through few android tablet forums to gather info. Let's see.

Benny Lava
17th November 2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks TV, just checked the price, MBA with 256 GB SSD comes to $1500. MBP with 500 GB SATA comes to 1700. I can get a Seagate Goflex 1.5 TB Drive (Portable) which works with both PC and MAC without reformatting. Add in another 150 bucks for Parallels or VMWare Virtual Machine and Windows 7.

Sathya, I don't see how you can share the drive as write-enabled across both OS. There are some Windows application which lets to write to a Mac OS HFS partition, but vice versa seems not to be possible. I haven't personally tested it yet.
Another option is to have a NAS drive, which serves content over CIFS. I didn't buy a specific NAS drive, but I connected my existing NTFS formatted HDD to my wireless router (flashed with tomatousb firmware) and let it host a NAS drive.

Or you can have dual partition of each filesystem. See this example:
http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=110070

As for on-board SSD storage, I found 128 Gb to be sufficient for my use. The addtional 128 GB is a bit of stretch. You will have to regularly monitor the disk usage though. I still download movies and stuff, I just move them out to my external HDD on a regular basis.

VENKIRAJA
18th November 2011, 08:30 AM

One pointer Sathya anne.. Seagate has reduced its Warranty period to 2 years. It is sensible to go with Western Digital. 3 years warranty as usual! Cheers :D

I still haven't gotten over the feeling that Tablet is a gadget no one would ever need, particularly with all that can be done on smartphones today. But having said that, things could change if some dedicated touch optimized software come out for the tablets, which can contribute to productivity.

Exactly my ideas. Maybe with Win8, tablets could be productive. And, SG Note does look like an intermediate solution.

sathya_1979
18th November 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the input Venki and TV. Goflex is the seagate model which can work with PC and Mac without re-formatting - This is their claim. I am looking at reviews and gathering info. My decision making process is a slow but thorough one. ivLO kaasu kuduththu vaanguradhu, konjam yOsichudhaan seiyyaNum!

Benny Lava
18th November 2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the input Venki and TV. Goflex is the seagate model which can work with PC and Mac without re-formatting - This is their claim. I am looking at reviews and gathering info. My decision making process is a slow but thorough one. ivLO kaasu kuduththu vaanguradhu, konjam yOsichudhaan seiyyaNum!

:thumbsup: So often the discovery is a pleasant experience in itself, so keep looking :)

Exactly my ideas. Maybe with Win8, tablets could be productive. And, SG Note does look like an intermediate solution. Especially the Office suite, if we can get a version optimized for small to medium screen and touch input, it would be great. Right now, the only best thing to do on a Tablet is to read news and books, where it really provides the advantage of portability, touch interface and a wider reading screen.

sathya_1979
18th November 2011, 09:07 AM
We have office suites like document to go, quick office pro etc for android tablets which allow you to view and edit word files, spreadsheets and presentations, but with limited functions for on-the-fly working. Not so expensive as well.

Benny Lava
18th November 2011, 09:25 AM

Sathya, I had a look for the NTFS read-write support. Looks like it uses some drivers to write-access NTFS partitions.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=214531&NewLang=en&Hilite=

I guess it is NTFS-3G + MacFUSE solution. The problem is MacFUSE is compiled for 32-bit OS, whereas OSX Lion is a 64-bit Kernel. I am not quite sure until testing it myself, but there is a chance it might work.

I also want to get this working for my external drive, I will let you know if it succeeds!

sathya_1979
18th November 2011, 09:35 AM
Sure TV, keep me posted on the test results. Thanks!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th November 2011, 01:10 PM
Exactly my ideas. Maybe with Win8, tablets could be productive. There is no such magic! They are gonna be mostly the same tablets! enna, windows is ALWAYS a resource eating thing, so its the only tablet to debut with quad-code CPUs! So surely you can expect the functionality of dual-core, becos in windows world, 4 means 2!

Btw, there are no great apps for windows fone, and competition vachi koovitrukkaanga! good chance to grab a free fone - http://www.microsoft.com/india/student/windowsphone/

VENKIRAJA
18th November 2011, 01:58 PM
There is no such magic! They are gonna be mostly the same tablets! enna, windows is ALWAYS a resource eating thing, so its the only tablet to debut with quad-code CPUs! So surely you can expect the functionality of dual-core, becos in windows world, 4 means 2!

Btw, there are no great apps for windows fone, and competition vachi koovitrukkaanga! good chance to grab a free fone - http://www.microsoft.com/india/student/windowsphone/
I know its not gonnabe what we dream for or long for, but I hope MS nails it this time. I loved their Win8 Pre-beta. Their promise is the same OS for tablets. If it works out and if all .exe or .msi files work for tablets, and prove to be a good device offline, that is it.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th November 2011, 03:20 PM
Venki, Wndows phone and Tablets have a new Windows version which is ported to ARM CPU. This version of windows is not the same as the PC one. So the exe msi files wont run, as of now.

More about this here - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/microsofts-metro-proves-the-pc-is-dead/18705?tag=nl.e539

In future, there may be chance both tablet and PC Os are infused, but is very long, complex process, not to forget, Mircosoft's takku!

Benny Lava
18th November 2011, 09:10 PM
I know its not gonnabe what we dream for or long for, but I hope MS nails it this time. I loved their Win8 Pre-beta. Their promise is the same OS for tablets. If it works out and if all .exe or .msi files work for tablets, and prove to be a good device offline, that is it.

I am having positive hopes on Windows since Windows 8 and Office 2007, I love both those products!

Even otherwise, I always felt Windows was making some conscious efforts with attempts such as Powershell, Microsoft Solver foundation, etc., which even though catering to niche audiences, they are darn good in their respective domains! It is a given that Microsoft has a bad press due to its monopoly in OS market. But with the evolution of other domains, where MS hasn't exactly captured the top spot, MS is finally reaping the benefits of being the underdogs.

Dinesh84
19th November 2011, 10:05 PM
I though of buying Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V and ended up buying Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_arc-3619.php) :oops:

littlemaster1982
19th November 2011, 10:22 PM
Woww, congrats :thumbsup: Evvalavu aachu? It's a great looking phone 8-)

Dinesh84
19th November 2011, 10:40 PM
woww, congrats :thumbsup: Evvalavu aachu? It's a great looking phone 8-) 24 k :)

littlemaster1982
20th November 2011, 08:31 AM
I remember it was selling for 32K or something. Good deal :D

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th November 2011, 10:32 AM
This phone with pouch, screen protector and 8gb memcard, retailing in flipkart for 23K

Dinesh84
20th November 2011, 11:50 AM
This phone with pouch, screen protector and 8gb memcard, retailing in flipkart for 23K yes.. with scratch guard and bluetooth headset it came around 24 K.. :D

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th November 2011, 03:32 PM
so u got in flipkart?! :) anyways just 1K for bluetooth headset is nice deal!

Dinesh84
20th November 2011, 04:08 PM
yes.. ordered it one week earlier.. got it yesterday only.. :D since its my first touch phone.. having difficulties in using it.. :oops:

venkkiram
24th November 2011, 08:56 AM
Nikon D5100 vs Canon EOS T3i Which one is better?

I am planning to buy one of these during this week end thanks giving sale.

sathya_1979
24th November 2011, 09:14 AM

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D5100

Also check at dpreview.com, cameralabs.com, photographyblog.com

venkkiram
24th November 2011, 09:26 AM
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D5100

Also check at dpreview.com, cameralabs.com, photographyblog.com

Thanks Sathya. Am also watching you-tube videos. Confusing articles and interviews. But your link at least says "vettu onnu thuNdu reNdu" I like that. My so-far inclination is Nikon and the snapsort.com link confirms that. Thanks.

sathya_1979
24th November 2011, 09:28 AM
Sure, I heard from some of the professional photographers (Who captures events like marriages, birthdays etc) that Nikon is easy to use for people who are at the entry level. I dnt knw much. Just stating what I heard.

AravindMano
24th November 2011, 09:59 AM
venki - from what I have heard - Nikon. I use Nikon D3100 and like that product.

If you decide on Canon Rebel - there are some really good deals in BestBuy for thanks giving. 100 dollars off and an extra lens on discounted price and bag, filter and memory card free. But I guess all these are in-store deals.

http://www.2011blackfridayads.com/bestbuy/#pagelinks

venkkiram
24th November 2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks AM. Yes. This time BestBuy has come up with good amount of discounts to compete with Amazon and Walmart.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th November 2011, 04:40 PM
Nikon 3100 selling for 30K in india. 32K with accesories like mem card, stand etc. FIY, venki and others.

Nikon3100 is a very popular one here and elseware. Nikon D90 and D5100 too are popular i guess. If you want detailed and professional suggestion on waht camera to buy, best source is look at http://photography-in-tamil.blogspot.com/ excellent blog run by blogger surveysan - http://surveysan.blogspot.com/

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th November 2011, 04:56 PM
heard that iPad basic model is discounted for $41 and 3G model for $61, for this holiday season! but in Jan, iPad3 with retina display is gonna be released :)

Nerd
24th November 2011, 08:32 PM

:oops: How much is it selling for?

Benny Lava
24th November 2011, 08:37 PM
Sure, I heard from some of the professional photographers (Who captures events like marriages, birthdays etc) that Nikon is easy to use for people who are at the entry level. I dnt knw much. Just stating what I heard.

Yeah, I heard the same! And so far from my experience with D3100, it is true indeed. Another factor to consider while buying SLR is your friend's circle. If most of them have Nikon, it is advisable to go for it since you might be able to borrow some special lenses when you get adventurous.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th November 2011, 10:59 PM
Few silly doubts!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/Black-Friday-Cyber-Monday/pcmcat225600050002.c?id=pcmcat225600050002

Best buy has some offers.

What does doorbuster mean?!?

What does "Ticket required to purchase this item in store." means? Where to by that ticket :lol:

sathya_1979
24th November 2011, 11:03 PM
vidiya kaalaila (12 maNi) kadai thorakkumbOdhu Vaikunda Ekaadhasi maadhiri kuLirla queue katti ninnuttrukkum jananga adichu pudichu uLLa Odi kaiyila , kaNla pattadha vaanguvaanga - ellaam malivu vilai.
adhukkaaga kada kaaranuva queue la nikkara makkaLta ticket kuduppAinga - 42 inch LCD 200 roovaa, aanaa moththam paththu pErukkudhaan andha baaggiyam. yaaru andha paththu pEr - adhukkudhaan tikkit.
Like a reservation and limiting the super-low price sales to select few.

Nerd
24th November 2011, 11:06 PM
12:00 மணிக்கு கடை தொரக்கசொல்லோ, நீங்க ஒரு ஒம்போது மணிக்கே அங்க போயி லைன் கட்டி நிக்கணும். ஒரு பதினோரு மணிப்போல ஒரு சூப்பர் பிகுரும் ஒரு அட்டு பையனும் வந்து லைன்ல நிக்குற நம்மள பாத்து என்ன வோணும்னு கேப்பாய்ங்க. அதுக்கு தகுந்த மாதிரி டிக்கெட்டி கிழிச்சு குடுப்பாய்ங்க. அப்பாலிக்கா அதை வெச்சி பொருள உள்ள போயி வாங்கணும்.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th November 2011, 11:17 PM
Sathya & Nerd, thanks :D

appo kaalaila 10 maNikku saavagaasama pona (discount) onniyum kedaikkaathu, correctaa?!?

I have a plan to buy Asus or Dell tablet. thru my cousin. chance irukkaa?!?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/Black-Friday-Cyber-Monday/pcmcat225600050002.c?id=pcmcat225600050002

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th November 2011, 11:22 PM
Apart from Bestbuy, amazon.com & Newegg.com Black Friday deals entha site la irukkum? Specifically Tablet PCs...

sathya_1979
24th November 2011, 11:23 PM
Depends on stock and per store limit SKV. Some stores may limit products on offer - Say max 10 such offers per store. So, check for the limits and you can plan accordingly.
Also, most of these deals would be restricted to 1 per customer.

sathya_1979
24th November 2011, 11:24 PM
Apart from Bestbuy, amazon.com & Newegg.com Black Friday deals entha site la irukkum? Specifically Tablet PCs...
Target, Frys, Staples, Walmart, circuitcity, Costco,tigerdirect - all sellers will offer black friday discounts. naama vaanga ninaikkum poruLukku andha kadaila offer kedaikkumaanu paakkaNum, that's all

Nerd
24th November 2011, 11:25 PM
SKV, seck slickdeals.net

As for the tablet, I am planning to get the same one for my brother (innum reviews paarkkalai). But I hate queuing up. Will go there arnd 11:30 to see what its like there. But if you want to get that ask your cousin to queue up like right now :lol2:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th November 2011, 11:26 PM
:ty: sathya & nerd :)

venkkiram
25th November 2011, 05:42 AM
:oops: How much is it selling for?

Both are close to $800 with 18-55mm zoom lens. Some stores provides few extra accessories for Canon. I am going for Nikon D5100. As Benny mentioned here, some of my friends also have Nikon. Let us see.

venkkiram
25th November 2011, 05:53 AM
குடும்பஸ்தன் ஆயிட்டா, நமக்கு வாங்குறமோ இல்லையோ, பசங்களுக்கு கண்டிப்பா வாங்கணும். அதுவும் இந்த சந்தர்ப்பத்துல நிறைய விளையாட்டுப் பொருட்களை வாங்கி வைத்து விட்டால், அடுத்து வருகிற ஒரு வருடத்திற்கு பசங்களின் நண்பர், நண்பிகளில் பிறந்த நாள் பரிசுகளை கடைசி நேரத்தில் அடிச்சி புடிச்சி வாங்க வேண்டியதில்லை. மேலும், இந்தியாவிற்கு பிரயாணங்கள் இருந்தால், அன்பளிப்புகளை கொடுப்பதற்கும் பயன்படும். எங்க வீட்டிலிருந்து ஒரு மெயில் தொலைவிலேயே வால்மார்ட், கோல்ஸ், ஸ்டேப்ல்ஸ், ரேடியோ ஷக், ஹோம் டிபோட், பீ.ஜே'ஸ் அமைந்திருக்கு. மொதல்ல வால்மார்டிலிருந்து ஆரம்பிப்பது வழக்கம். இன்றைக்கு இரவு பத்து மணிக்கே தள்ளுபடி விற்பனை ஆரம்பிகிராங்கோ.. இன்று விடிய விடிய ராமாயணம் தான். நண்பர்கள் படை இருப்பது சோர்வடையாமல் இருக்க உதவுகிறது.

sathya_1979
25th November 2011, 05:58 AM
Both are close to $800 with 18-55mm zoom lens. Some stores provides few extra accessories for Canon. I am going for Nikon D5100. As Benny mentioned here, some of my friends also have Nikon. Let us see.
Look for Bundle offers. They are good.

sathya_1979
25th November 2011, 05:58 AM
குடும்பஸ்தன் ஆயிட்டா, நமக்கு வாங்குறமோ இல்லையோ, பசங்களுக்கு கண்டிப்பா வாங்கணும். அதுவும் இந்த சந்தர்ப்பத்துல நிறைய விளையாட்டுப் பொருட்களை வாங்கி வைத்து விட்டால், அடுத்து வருகிற ஒரு வருடத்திற்கு பசங்களின் நண்பர், நண்பிகளில் பிறந்த நாள் பரிசுகளை கடைசி நேரத்தில் அடிச்சி புடிச்சி வாங்க வேண்டியதில்லை. மேலும், இந்தியாவிற்கு பிரயாணங்கள் இருந்தால், அன்பளிப்புகளை கொடுப்பதற்கும் பயன்படும். எங்க வீட்டிலிருந்து ஒரு மெயில் தொலைவிலேயே வால்மார்ட், கோல்ஸ், ஸ்டேப்ல்ஸ், ரேடியோ ஷக், ஹோம் டிபோட், பீ.ஜே'ஸ் அமைந்திருக்கு. மொதல்ல வால்மார்டிலிருந்து ஆரம்பிப்பது வழக்கம். இன்றைக்கு இரவு பத்து மணிக்கே தள்ளுபடி விற்பனை ஆரம்பிகிராங்கோ.. இன்று விடிய விடிய ராமாயணம் தான். நண்பர்கள் படை இருப்பது சோர்வடையாமல் இருக்க உதவுகிறது.
Happy Shopping :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
25th November 2011, 06:02 AM
ZDNet's Ultimate Black Friday 2011 guide to deals and steals (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/zdnets-ultimate-black-friday-2011-guide-to-deals-and-steals/28368?pg=2&tag=nl.e550) Complete List, Enjoy US hubbers :)

Deals for

E-book readers & tablets; Video game consoles & games; Digital cameras & camcorders; MP3 players & portable media players; GPS navigation devices; Home theater, music & movies; Televisions & HDTVs; Laptop & desktop computers; Printers; Hard drives, flash media & storage; Monitors, peripherals & PC accessories; Cellphones & accessories, miscellaneous electronics & software; Circular ad scans; Related links & resources

From Stores

Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, BJ’s, JC Penny, Costco, Kobo, Kmart, Kohl’s, Office Depot, Radio Shack, Sears, Staples, Target, Toys “R” Us, Walmart, Macy’s, Sears Outlet,

Blain’s Farm & Fleet, Fred’s, Fred Meyer, Hastings, hhgregg, Meijer, Military BX (AAFES), Office Max, Bealls Florida, Blain’s Farm & Fleet, Fred’s, Gander Mountain, Gordmans, Marine Corps Exchange, Rite Aid, Hastings, Military BX (AAFES), Cabela’s, GameStop, Sam’s Club, Fred Meyer, Newegg; Meijer, hhgregg, Adobe, Kobo

venkkiram
26th November 2011, 11:22 AM
Nikon D5100 வாங்கியாகிவிட்டது. புதிதாய் ஒரு நட்பு மொட்டுவிட்டது போன்ற ஒரு உணர்வு. BJ'sல் தள்ளுபடி விலை சிறப்பு. இரண்டு லென்சுகள்(18-55mm VR and 55-200mm) , உறை, புகைப்படக் கருவியில் எப்படி நிபுணத்துவம் பெறுவது என்பதற்கான தகடு ஒன்று.. முழுத் தொகுப்பும் $850.

சத்யா, Nerd... நீங்க என்னென்ன வாங்கினிங்க?

Apart from Nikon D5100 நான் வாங்கியது.. HP Wireless Inkjet Printer, Philips Portable DVD Player (Dual), SD memory Card, Office char, Blu-Ray DVD movies(Inception, LOTR series, Xmen Series, etc.), Few Wii games and Toys.

Didn't sleep at all the whole night, Spent time in Walmart, Kohls, with friends. Very tiring experience.

sathya_1979
27th November 2011, 01:27 AM
Nice deal Venkki - also check @ Amazon for Nikon D5100 Bundle Offers. Lots of goodies - macro lens, mem cards, card reader, extra battery, tripod, lens cleaner etc come to a pretty decent price.
I did not buy anything, as I am planning to buy stuff in Jan - Feb - Camera, Tablet, Macbook.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
27th November 2011, 08:35 AM
Black Friday over, now Cyber Monday coming! Bestbuy selling Acer Iconia 7" tab for $189. Nice Deal, if u r interested in 7 inch tab

venkkiram
27th November 2011, 06:05 PM
எனக்கும் (noise canceling) headphones-க்கும் ராசியே இல்லிங். அதிகமா முதலீடு செய்ய விருப்பமில்லை. ஏதாவது தரமான ஒன்று குறைந்த விலையில் இருந்தால் தெரியப்படுத்தவும். நன்றி.

venkkiram
27th November 2011, 06:12 PM
also check @ Amazon for Nikon D5100 Bundle Offers. Lots of goodies - macro lens, mem cards, card reader, extra battery, tripod, lens cleaner etc come to a pretty decent price.அமேசானில் நானும் அதையெல்லாம் கவனிச்சிங்க. இப்படி மொத்தமா வாங்க முற்பட்டு கடைசியில பட்ஜெட் எகிறடபோகுதுன்னு பயந்து BJ's யிடமே வாங்கிவிட்டேன்.

I did not buy anything, as I am planning to buy stuff in Jan - Feb - Camera, Tablet, Macbook. Best of Luck Sathya!

littlemaster1982
27th November 2011, 07:10 PM
எனக்கும் (noise canceling) headphones-க்கும் ராசியே இல்லிங். அதிகமா முதலீடு செய்ய விருப்பமில்லை. ஏதாவது தரமான ஒன்று குறைந்த விலையில் இருந்தால் தெரியப்படுத்தவும். நன்றி.

Budget sollunga :)

Nerd
27th November 2011, 10:27 PM
Black Friday over, now Cyber Monday coming! Bestbuy selling Acer Iconia 7" tab for $189. Nice Deal, if u r interested in 7 inch tab
Eh, where? They are selling a 10"" for 229. I placed an order and later realized that it only supports 110V inputs. I am giving it away to someone in India. Been googling ever since to find a cheap/reliable/robust step down transformer. :oops:

Or will wait for more deals and return this.

Venki - Wanted to by the ASUS transformer. Went to BB around 11:15 and found 1000 people on the line. Only useful thing we bought was that $2.84 special mini chopper (Indians' favorite :lol2: ) from walmart :-)

littlemaster1982
27th November 2011, 10:53 PM
Eh, where? They are selling a 10"" for 229. I placed an order and later realized that it only supports 110V inputs. I am giving it away to someone in India. Been googling ever since to find a cheap/reliable/robust step down transformer. :oops:

Stepdown transformer Chennai-laiye nalladha kidaikkum. 500 Kva should be around Rs. 1500.

Nerd
27th November 2011, 11:26 PM
Oh Thanks LM. Ritchie street aa? 1500 konjam kooda dhaan.. :oops:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
28th November 2011, 02:27 AM

Or will wait for more deals and return this.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/acer-iconia-tab-a500-unboxing-and-hands-on/#4083417

See this pic, The adapter supports 100 to 240v. You dont need step down crap etc...

Nerd, i saw that ad - 7 inch Iconia for $159 and now changed to Iconia 10" $229 which u brought. Its a really super deal. There are mixed reviews about its battery. apart, its an ultimate deal! Just 12.7K for a dual core 10 inch tablet! Same tablet retails here for around 32K which is more than double :shock:

And finally, U r lucky! Its sold out! http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Iconia+Tablet+with+8GB+Memory+-+Silver/3815032.p?id=1218435210854&skuId=3815032

Nerd
28th November 2011, 02:35 AM
No sakala, look at this - http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/XE.H8RPN.005 (Input Voltage)

This is A500 category, but a different product (A500-08S08u). I will be very disappointed if it does come with the 100-240V adapter. Because I was supposed to order two but stopped the 2nd order since I saw it wont work in India anyway :oops:

sathya_1979
28th November 2011, 02:37 AM
ahA, 16GB version accepts both 110 and 220 V as inputs. 8 GB - only 110 V.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
28th November 2011, 02:38 AM
Oh Thanks LM. Ritchie street aa? 1500 konjam kooda dhaan.. :oops:

LM was saying for 500Watts. Unga tablet kku avlo laam veNaam! Ithu pothum - http://shopping.rediff.com/product/voltage-converter-220v-240v-ac-to-110v-120v-ac-50w/10304088

Just Rs.348, meaning it can be still less in shops.

http://imshopping.rediff.com/imgshop/450-450/shopping/pixs/4463/v/vltgcnvtr50w_kor.jpg

This supports upto 50 watts and ur tablet adapter needs 18 watts.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
28th November 2011, 02:47 AM
No sakala, look at this - http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/XE.H8RPN.005 (Input Voltage)

This is A500 category, but a different product (A500-08S08u). I will be very disappointed if it does come with the 100-240V adapter. Because I was supposed to order two but stopped the 2nd order since I saw it wont work in India anyway :oops:

Oh, low cost modelkku eppadi ellaam micham pidikkuraanga paarunga :lol:

btw, ungalukku onnaavathu kedaichuthe! I was asking my cousin in boston to buy this! he went to roam in Atlantic city and, avar varrathukkuLLa "Sold out Online!" Christmas leave timela veLila engayum poga koodaathunnu sollitten!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
28th November 2011, 02:49 AM
Oru chinna doubt, sold out online naa, stores la irukkumaa?!? Cyber-monday ngrathaala ithellaam only online deals aa?

Nerd
28th November 2011, 03:13 AM
Oru chinna doubt, sold out online naa, stores la irukkumaa?!? Cyber-monday ngrathaala ithellaam only online deals aa?
Cyber Monday online dhaan. Idhu stores-la illai innum. So missed out. Konjam munnaadiyE login panni indha rediff link pottirundheengannaa I would have bought it :cry: :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
28th November 2011, 03:20 AM
I was talking with my cousin... kadaisila enakkum "sold out online", Sari ponathu pochu, Inime India kku vaangumbothu voltage differences kavalai illaama vaangunga :) naanum appadiye Chrishtmas kku ethaachum theruthaannu paakkuren :)

btw one thing, Banglore la intha converters ellaam easy aa kedaikuthu, if anybody wants, let me know i will check and inform about availability/prices etc... Machaan US porathukku munnaadi US to Indian plug converter kettaaru, Chennaila anga inga alainjum kedaikkala, bangalorela kedaichuthu!

Even, the above device not only steps down voltage, but also does a plug conversion!

littlemaster1982
28th November 2011, 09:52 AM
LM was saying for 500Watts. Unga tablet kku avlo laam veNaam! Ithu pothum - http://shopping.rediff.com/product/voltage-converter-220v-240v-ac-to-110v-120v-ac-50w/10304088

Just Rs.348, meaning it can be still less in shops.

This supports upto 50 watts and ur tablet adapter needs 18 watts.

Yeah, naan sonnadhu periya electronic devices-kku (Bluray player etc) :oops: 18 watts-na Sakala solra maadhiri romba cheap-a kidaikkum.

venkkiram
28th November 2011, 11:33 AM
Budget sollunga :)

Budget <= 50$ :)

Even some cost more than this budget , I would like to know the brand and models of them. Thanks.

satissh_r
28th November 2011, 12:08 PM

Even some cost more than this budget , I would like to know the brand and models of them. Thanks.

My recommendation -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ULAP4U/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d40_g23_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1KXFTNM0SB2R01697M7B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Recently bought it and I just love it. Brings out the layers etc in most songs very intricately, songs don't sound noisy no matter the quality of the file, very balanced in terms of bass, mid and the trebles. Budget adhigama irunthalum worth the experience, at least for myself :)

PS: It does need a week of burn in time, after that it is just brilliant

littlemaster1982
28th November 2011, 02:02 PM

If you are ok with bulkier headphones, get this (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM30-ATH-M30-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1322467602&sr=8-11). Otherwise, buy this (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-Lightweight-Collapsible/dp/B000089GN3/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in), though it's slightly above your budget. Also consider this (http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR-60i-Padded-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4/ref=pd_cp_e_2) from Grado.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th November 2011, 06:32 AM
To make shopping easier, Google has released an app called "Catalog"

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.catalogs

You can see the holiday offers in one place. But it is mainly for tablets, and works only for US based Android devices. Not sure if this will work in US android phones

venkkiram
29th November 2011, 09:00 AM
அன்பளிப்புகளுக்கு தகுந்த Digital Camera. இப்போதுதான் இணையத்தில் வாங்கினேன். விருப்பமிருந்தால் வாங்குங்கள். தள்ளுபடி எத்தனை மணி நேரங்கள் இருக்கும் எனத் தெரியா.

http://adorama-camera.store.buy.com/pg/holiday-best-camera-deals/3c82a933-cd0e-e111-b196-001a6465230e.html?pv=129664697292742978

venkkiram
29th November 2011, 09:10 AM
நன்றி Sathish and LM. I am more interested in buying earphones than headphones as I am listening to songs only during my bus travel to office.

@Sathish, $139.00 டாலரா? யம்மாடியோவ். வீட்டுல கொன்னே போட்டுருவாங்க! பசங்க எல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் வளரட்டும். ஒடச்சி போட்டுருவானுங்க. அப்புறமா வாங்கிக்கிறேன். (அந்த நேரத்துல வெலையும் கொஞ்சம் கொறைஞ்சிருக்கும் :)

satissh_r
29th November 2011, 10:17 AM
நன்றி Sathish and LM. I am more interested in buying earphones than headphones as I am listening to songs only during my bus travel to office.

@Sathish, $139.00 டாலரா? யம்மாடியோவ். வீட்டுல கொன்னே போட்டுருவாங்க! பசங்க எல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் வளரட்டும். ஒடச்சி போட்டுருவானுங்க. அப்புறமா வாங்கிக்கிறேன். (அந்த நேரத்துல வெலையும் கொஞ்சம் கொறைஞ்சிருக்கும் :)

Veetla naanum thittu vangi than itha vanginenga :) Ok my recommendation for earphones (my friend recommended it to me)
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B001V9LPT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322541992&sr=8-1

littlemaster1982
29th November 2011, 10:22 AM
Oh, you prefer IEMS :| Then get Brainwavz M2 (http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-BWAVZ-M2-M2-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004IK1VBA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322542163&sr=1-1). Got good reviews all over :)

directhit
29th November 2011, 10:26 AM
Along with Klipsch, Ultimate Ears should be good as well - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?_encoding=UTF8&node=172282&field-brandtextbin=Ultimate%20Ears the 700 model is supposedly good!

Kalyasi
29th November 2011, 11:16 AM
Cyber monday deal la iphone app splashtop(remote desktop app) and touchpad pottu irukaanga... inniku mattum thaan deal nu nenaikaren...

Splashtop 1.00$ touchpad free... Use pannen nalla irukku....

Kalyasi
29th November 2011, 11:17 AM
Along with Klipsch, Ultimate Ears should be good as well - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?_encoding=UTF8&node=172282&field-brandtextbin=Ultimate%20Ears the 700 model is supposedly good!

:thumbsup: I am ultimate ears ya...

wizzy
29th November 2011, 11:57 AM
Along with Klipsch, Ultimate Ears should be good as well - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?_encoding=UTF8&node=172282&field-brandtextbin=Ultimate Ears the 700 model is supposedly good!
$180 :shock: :shock:
For clear midrange and tight bass I use headdirect RE-2+ amp Fiio e5..complete audio nirvana for Rs3000 :-D

directhit
29th November 2011, 12:02 PM
$180 :shock: :shock:
For clear midrange and tight bass I use headdirect RE-2+ amp Fiio e5..complete audio nirvana for Rs3000 :-D thts the high one i guess - enga team la oruthan $300 earphone with a $1000+ Fortex portable Amp vachuttu sutharaan :sigh2:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th November 2011, 12:04 PM
high quality/resolution display means i can understand what benefit it can bring. In fact the clarity is visible for all to see. but high quality, recording theatre level headphones, that too $50(Rs.2500 :shock: ) a[[adi enna irukkum?!? I can hear all good sounds/music with my free samsung earphones itself. If the mp3 quality itself is bad, then nothing can be done.

In this case, what exacty u guys are hearing/avoid-hearing if you buy these $100+ headphones?!?

Kalyaasi, epdi irukkeenga?!? romba naaL aachu, hubla ungALa paathu :)

wizzy
29th November 2011, 12:22 PM
^SKV..it strictly depends on the content..if you listen mostly to mp3s then stock earphones are the way to go...I rip the audio CDs to flacs and it is far more easier to maintain them using cue sheets and the stock earphones lacks detailing in this regard.

littlemaster1982
29th November 2011, 12:22 PM
Sakala,

Unlike video, it's little difficult to appreciate high quality stuff in audio. I mean, avvalavu easy-a difference kandupidikka mudiyaadhu. But once you get used to hear music in hifi gear, you will know what you have been missing :)

directhit
29th November 2011, 12:33 PM
ppl with such earphones use files in either lossy format or flacs ... not mp3 anyways

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th November 2011, 12:41 PM
that means, mp3 files will sound too noisy in those headphones?!? Ant why just mp3? I listen youtube, other online vidoes, almost everything with the normal earphone. No issues. For me, the earphone will 'sit' inside the ear unlike heaphone which lies outside ears. so, this earphones itslef gives me some kind of outside 'noise-cancelling' :lol:

If you play a song in full volume, wearing an headphone, the sound will be somewhat audiable even outside. Persons coming nearby can hear and know what song is played! But that never happens in the earphones, even in full volume. So inthat way, sound is sealed only for ur ears, at same time, outside noise too prevented, to good extent.

wizzy
29th November 2011, 12:45 PM
^80s-90s tamil songs in flacs konjam kastam :) Sansa/Sony stock earphones will match any sub20$ ones and when flashed with rockbox you wouldn't lack much detailing.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th November 2011, 01:10 PM
rockbox? wizzy r u using an ipod with alternative firmware?!?

wizzy
29th November 2011, 02:09 PM
I did use it with Ipod before...now it supports most of the current portable players..from what I have heard Sansa clip/plus is the best when flashed with rockbox.

Sid_316
29th November 2011, 03:33 PM
^Wizzy any luck with hdd's? I was looking into passport size hdd's nothing seemed great.

wizzy
29th November 2011, 04:08 PM
this (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11652295&search=561513&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=561513&Ntt=561513&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial)was selling for ~105$..heard some horror stories regarding the failure rates so gave it a skip..now the prices have skyrocketed..check newegg :banghead:

littlemaster1982
29th November 2011, 04:24 PM
I have a 1 TB My Book and it is going good (touchwood). I had to remove the firmware as it doesn't allow you to use it plug and play with media players. You need to install something called smartware through which you can access the contents.

I heard failure stories about Seagate too, so preferred this.

wizzy
29th November 2011, 05:08 PM
Lm, only the 3tb ones had the issues and now My book 1tb is priced at 6.5k :shock:

littlemaster1982
29th November 2011, 05:36 PM
What :shock: I bought mine for 3.7 an year back. Three much :|

Nerd
5th December 2011, 01:12 AM
Scored a 10" ASUS EEE Pad Transformer 16GB at Best Buy today for $299.99. Not the best of deals but $100 < the regular price. This is going to my brother :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th December 2011, 05:36 AM
Nerd, looks like its raining tablets for you! This deal price is worth and much better than buying two Acer Iconia tablets. This one has much better battery and few other performance.

This tablet will be much more great with its accessory 'detachable keypad'

aanaa
5th December 2011, 07:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3txQs7jEJ4&feature=player_detailpage

Nerd
5th December 2011, 09:02 PM
Nerd, looks like its raining tablets for you! This deal price is worth and much better than buying two Acer Iconia tablets. This one has much better battery and few other performance.

This tablet will be much more great with its accessory 'detachable keypad'
I guess the price of this one will go down further since prime (quadcore) will release in a month or so. Based on the reviews I have read so far - this ASUS beats most.

VENKIRAJA
8th December 2011, 10:31 PM
Meaning to buy a HTPC. Suggest configurations. Intended only for Downloading and HD Movies. How is the Fusion E350 (http://www.flipkart.com/computers/components/motherboard/asus/itmd2rynynaudg5z?pid=mbdd2rymzyczvugn&_l=mzQmrlkCJv0IjldH8nGLKg--&_r=jvI+l70go2QmnCchbiYdOA--&ref=f9e0cdc8-a3e3-4624-b560-42710f9337fe)? Retails for 7300 in Deltapage, I think. Is it worth it?

sathya_1979
12th December 2011, 09:57 AM
Venkki, initial review of D5100 pls...........

venkkiram
12th December 2011, 10:13 AM
Venkki, initial review of D5100 pls........... மன்னிக்கவும். சூட்டோட சூடா கேமரா வாங்கினபிறகு அப்படியே அலுவலக வேலையில்(பளு!) மூழ்கிவிட்டேன். அமேசானில் Sandisk Class 10 SD Card வாங்கி வரவழைத்து..கடந்த வாரம் மட்டுமே முதல் முறையாக இரு கிளிக்குகள் வீட்டுக்குள்ளேயே செய்தேன். எடுத்தவரை பரம திருப்தி. இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் நாள் ஆகும் இதை அணு அணுவாக அலசி ஆராய்ந்து அனுபவிக்க.

sathya_1979
12th December 2011, 10:15 AM
no probs bro! If possible, if you r a member of any photography forum post some sample pics when you take them. Thanks!

sathya_1979
12th December 2011, 10:16 AM
and PM the links..........

rsubras
12th December 2011, 02:58 PM
Planning to buy a Sony PSP 3004 http://www.sony.co.in/product/psp+3004

Gaming, MP3, Video, WiFi ellam iruku ithula @ 7990 INR

is it really worthy for a gift to wife? is it good?

VENKIRAJA
12th December 2011, 03:07 PM
Planning to buy a Sony PSP 3004 http://www.sony.co.in/product/psp+3004

Gaming, MP3, Video, WiFi ellam iruku ithula @ 7990 INR

is it really worthy for a gift to wife? is it good?

Wait for some time and buy the PS Vita. PSP is a bit outdated now. PSP Vita will be priced around 12-15k and is much better than the PSP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIaJHh60hQY

rsubras
12th December 2011, 03:32 PM
thanks Venki for that prompt info..actually intended user is not a gaming freak and all...... but game interest konjam udaiyavanga.........so 12-15K alavukkelam spend pannanuma nu ninaikkaren......... ithuve (PSP 3004) innum konjam kammi rate la around 6 or 6.5 ku kidaicha super ah irukum :) just wanted to know if this is good value for money

VENKIRAJA
14th December 2011, 04:34 PM
thanks Venki for that prompt info..actually intended user is not a gaming freak and all...... but game interest konjam udaiyavanga.........so 12-15K alavukkelam spend pannanuma nu ninaikkaren......... ithuve (PSP 3004) innum konjam kammi rate la around 6 or 6.5 ku kidaicha super ah irukum :) just wanted to know if this is good value for money
Definitely VFM. Music, Movies and Gaming! Form is a bit big. But, for ladies who carry handbags.. never an issue! :D
<Letsbuy link (http://www.letsbuy.com/sony-psp-3004pb-p-22026)>
Try to search for coupons in some forums and get offers upto 1000 bucks. Basic retail price is 7119 there. Cheers! Happy gaming :D

rsubras
14th December 2011, 07:30 PM
Thankiees boss :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th December 2011, 07:03 PM
Those using Windows 7 or above, no more anti-virus software needed. Just install the free software "Security Essentials" from Microsoft, from the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

This is more than enough. Also keep updating in frequent intervals

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
24th December 2011, 09:38 PM
Nerd and other US hubbers, has the Xmas deals started?? I am not seeing great deals at bestbuy.com

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th December 2011, 01:59 PM
With low-cost tablet Aakash, sky is the limit for students - DNA India (http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_with-low-cost-tablet-aakash-sky-is-the-limit-for-students_1630779)

The limits of Aakash disappoint users - IBN Live (http://ibnlive.in.com/news/the-limits-of-aakash-disappoint-users/216269-60-121.html)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
2nd January 2012, 12:44 PM
Motorola reduces Xoom Wi-Fi to 21.5K, 3G price 25K (http://androidos.in/2012/01/motorola-reduces-xoom-wi-fi-3g-prices-in-india-32gb-version-now-starting-inr-21-5k/#more-28303) With dollar raising to INR 53 rupees, this is exactly same price as available in US. Initially this tablet, 3G was selling for INR 33K and Wi-Fi version for around INR 31K. So this is a superb deal.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
2nd January 2012, 12:48 PM
http://androidos.in/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/mr-android-big.jpg

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
3rd January 2012, 11:57 AM
Nerd & other US Hubbers, Starting from 23rd dec 2011, I was daily scanning for deals. I was checking slickdeals.net to the extent that antha site e thenji pora aLAvukku, for every 2 hrs. Also was separately checking bestbuy, walmart, kmart, frys and many such, for interesting Tablet deals.

Nothing interesting, appeared till today! Only deal which is slightly OK for me is the Acer Iconia tab, that too refurbished for $298. That one comes with 90 day warranty so I am still thinking of buying it or not. Added to that Motorola xoom reduced its india prices to Rs.21.5K which is almost equal to the US prices, that too considering the ever increasing dollar value!

There was not even one single deal (atleast what i saw online) comparable to the thanksgiving day deals(bestbuy - 7" acer for $169, 10" acer for $229 & asus for just $299) I missed those deals in few blinks, and thought that this was just trailer and Xmas New Year deals will be the main picture :( but totally nothing interesting deals! Any idea u gys came across interesting deal for tablets?!?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
9th January 2012, 05:07 PM
OLPC XO 3.0 kid’s tablet runs miles for $100 - Best one for TN govt's Free Laptop Project (http://www.phonearena.com/news/OLPC-XO-3.0-kids-tablet-runs-miles-for-100_id25566)

http://liliputing.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/xo_01.jpg

2 Options for Charging - Solar Panel which also acts as a Cover, Hand Crankle which gives 1 hour runtime with 6 minits Cranking

1 GHz CPU, 512 MB Ram, Ports, Choice of OLPC's Sugar OS or Android.

http://www.phonearena.com/images/articles/51546-image/olpc-xo-3-2-580x320.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/images/articles/51545-image/olpc-xo-3-1-580x353.jpg

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
9th January 2012, 09:33 PM
CES 2012 Coverup: 16 Elegant Gadgets Abound (http://www.informationweek.com/news/galleries/personal-tech/peripherals/232301469)

Nerd
9th January 2012, 09:57 PM
Sakala, there will not be any deals for Christmas/New Year. The deals are usually over with thanksgiving. The probability of finding a deal post thanksgiving is the same throughout the year. Christmas/New Year dont matter. Keep checking slickdeals, you ll be lucky some day :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th January 2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks Nerd,

I am glued to slicdeals.net :lol:

btw there is a deal - Open box Acer Iconia from PCParts - http://slickdeals.net/f/3787276-Acer-Iconia-A500-16GB-Tablet-New-Open-Box-199

Some are complaining about the seller. But i Like the deal (warranty 90 days) Any Idea about it?

Nerd
10th January 2012, 11:40 PM
Look at the thread score sakala. -19 which means its a pathetic deal. Look for thumbsups and > +10 score on deals. The people rating there are experts at it so can even blindly believe them.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
11th January 2012, 02:59 AM
Air-powered motorcycle has arrived (http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/global-observer/air-powered-motorcycle-has-arrived/1592) :clap: for the idea. Way to go :thumbsup: petrol pottu kattupadiyaagaathu

VENKIRAJA
14th January 2012, 10:04 AM
Sakala, any way to view tamil unicode (except opera mini) in offline apps and in general on Android devices? I tried Fontomizer and it didn't work. Mine is a Froyo Device. Motorola Defy (aka Jordan).

hamid
15th January 2012, 04:42 PM
LM/Sakala,

Nokia E6 or HTC Wildfire S? or any other better suggestion in that range? ideally around 10-15K, but can be pushed to 20 if there is value for money.. Main features shd be wifi and browsing, USB charging, battery life. Photography is not important while I would prefer a good display.

hamid
18th January 2012, 02:29 PM
Checked the prices of both those models here.. HTC Wildfire cost about 999 Riyals( nearly 14000) and E6 cost about 1175 (16.5K)..
meanwhile saw the old E71 price as 725 ( around 10K) and felt that is a good deal. almpst finalised for that..

// I put down my X6 and it is a little damaged.. no problems with the display, but the proximity sensor is not working and it craetes problems during the call.. so plan to buy a new one.. //

littlemaster1982
18th January 2012, 02:32 PM
I generally advise against Nokia. HTC Wildfire is a good choice. What is the one you are currently having in mind?

P.S: Sorry for the delayed reply, was OOO during last four days. Couldn't check all the threads.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 02:41 PM
Hamid, without any doubt, i wud suggest Samsung Galaxy R I9103 a slightly low cost version og Samsung Galaxy S2.

http://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/compare?ids=MOBD2WHYV4XMB2NF,MOBDFZKHZYUN25NF,MOBD 2WR6MQFK4ZPD,MOBDFFCRZS36MQ8Q

these are indian prices, not sure abt ur country, and also i pushed the budget to 18 - 20K is that ok?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 02:45 PM
let me post some more choices, gimme few minits...

littlemaster1982
18th January 2012, 02:50 PM
Sakala,

How's the battery life of Samsung Galaxy I9103? Galaxy series was not known for it's battery life, though I'm not aware of the current situation.

hamid
18th January 2012, 03:10 PM
LM,

somehow I always end up with Nokia.. all the phones I have used so far was from Nokia.. Wildfire S..let me check that again...that was my choice last year, but since it asnt available I bought Samsung Ace for my wife.

Sakala,

Thanks.. gsmarena-la antha modela check panni paarkuren.. (value for money is the only criteria apart from wireless access.. thats it.. at times I feel I dont need touch screen..I am a rough user.. intha X6-e vaangina 4-vathu naal I broke the dispaly and changed it (3000 INR).. and did put it down many times and now itz not working properly..

hamid
18th January 2012, 03:15 PM
Sakala,

How's the battery life of Samsung Galaxy I9103? Galaxy series was not known for it's battery life, though I'm not aware of the current situation.

yep..thats one thing it is not good in android phones.. but disabling background processing helps to increase batttery life.. too much of browsing the battery goes down fast.. Nokia is way better in that..

directhit
18th January 2012, 03:17 PM
Galaxy series fulla battery issues dhaan, i have a galaxy S, still mulling on S2 v Iphone 4S for my next phone, but S2's battery issues (my colleague jus got a new one, even she has issues, doesnt last more than 4-5 hrs) makes me think twice...

Hamid, HTC la Salsa model pakalaame? better than Wildfire, has front facing camera as well and price is also almost in the same range.. another android option is SE's Neo V (but camera is jus abt ok)

hamid
18th January 2012, 03:21 PM
DH,

I dont mind the camera.. thats okay.. Salsa.. pere supera irukke :) let me check that also.. Indiala enna price?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 03:22 PM
LM, Galaxy R is dual core and has 1650MAh battery. Thats not a best battery capacity for a dual core, but still not bad considering the fact that android wont keep both cores running always, and also the phone wont be running in ints max speed 1 GHz always. So its not too bad either.

directhit
18th January 2012, 03:26 PM
Hamid - jalsa peru dhaan, its more of a mix of desire and wildfire - has a funky FB button up front, the Sony Ericcson Neo looks wise better - same android versions as well. India price therla.. around 12K irukkanum for both HTC and the sony one as per our prices here..

SKV - avinga battery specs ellaam nice dhaan, but the way they (samsung touchwiz) handles memory storage and apps makes it eat up a lot of battery. If we custom overwrite a ROM over it the battery is much better.. but stock ROMs of samsung galaxy eats up battery...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 03:28 PM
There are some wrkarounds to preserve battery.
1. Install this app - Fast Reboot, this kills the unwanted apps running, much efficient than Android's inbuilt ASHMEM etc.
2. Carry the USB Cable / Charger!
3. This is tricky. If u r heavily in need of battery power and will be 'power-using' ur mobile most of the times, carry extra battery and 'external battery charger'

http://i.ebayimg.com/21/!Bptk9I!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKi8Eur4ifGmSBLskLtJYn!~~_12.J PG

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 03:32 PM
SKV - avinga battery specs ellaam nice dhaan, but the way they (samsung touchwiz) handles memory storage and apps makes it eat up a lot of battery. If we custom overwrite a ROM over it the battery is much better.. but stock ROMs of samsung galaxy eats up battery...Not sure about HTC Sense UI but Samsung's Touchwiz can be disabled thru Settings. You can select to run only the Stock Android(2.3)

VENKIRAJA
18th January 2012, 03:36 PM
sumaal imbarmeshan
Don't go for Defy +
Its only an overclocked Defy (with a Bayer module, that used to be norm till the third quarter of 2011)
Save money on buying a Defy and OCing it :wink:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks.. gsmarena-la antha modela check panni paarkuren..

Here u can see comparition btw Samsung Galaxy R & LG Optimus 2X
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3967&idPhone2=3598

Both are dual core, so u will get Android ICS update and the phone is fit enuf to run that version of Android. All the 1GHz single core mobile wont run ICS smoothly.

Ok, there are some ups and down btw these 2 models, galaxy R has 5MP cam vs LG Optimus 's 8MP cam. But LG has just 1500mAH battery which is lesser than Samsung's 1650mAH. Also LG only has 512 Mb RAM whereas Samsung has 1 GB RAM.

So Galaxy R has upper hand.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 03:45 PM
Hamid, if u spend some time, this reviews about Galaxy R may help

http://www.flipkart.com/review/mobiles/samsung/galaxy-r-i9103-itmd2wh6hwzxfudh?pid=mobd2whyv4xmb2nf&sort_order=most-helpful

Flipkart is Indian Amazon! So for any phone model, if u want Indians' review, head to flipkart :)

hamid
18th January 2012, 03:46 PM
Sakala,

just out of curiosity.. is Tamil font suport available in any models? the X6 has Hindi support but not Tamli support.. I would love that...
[ I know about Opera bitmap facility.. didnt like it much]

also intha ICS ellam enna? innum root panrathu eppadinne kathukkala.. :(

VENKIRAJA
18th January 2012, 03:58 PM
also intha ICS ellam enna?

Codenames given for Android versions.
1.something (I miss Wikipedia :( ) Cupcake
2.1 - Eclair
2.2 - Froyo
2.3 - Gingerbread
3.0 - Honeycomb
4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)

I guess from native support for tamil unicode fonts Android v2.3 onwards.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 04:05 PM
Codenames given for Android versions....

1.5 - Cupcake
1.6 - Donut
2.1 - Eclair
2.2 - Froyo
2.3 - Gingerbread
3.0 - Honeycomb

Next one possibly JackFruit
Unicode support is only from 4.0, that too viewing Indic fonts only inside browser For typing, there are apps like Tamilvisai.

Hamid, Tamil and other Indic fonts are supported partially. There are unofficial but legal shortcuts. no need to root and all! no need to violate warranty. Don't worry, u can read and write tamil!

i also heard Samsung Galaxy has some provision to install Indic fonts which are not in android phones. not sure, will veryfy and confirm.

hamid
18th January 2012, 04:07 PM
Codenames given for Android versions.
1.something (I miss Wikipedia :( ) Cupcake
2.1 - Eclair
2.2 - Froyo
2.3 - Gingerbread
3.0 - Honeycomb

Thanks Venki.. oh..ithaana.. :) Though I have heard about Honeycomb, Gingerbread thaan latest versionnu ninachittu irunthen.. :oops2: Tamil font support also available.. cool then.. GSM didnt give a full review for that Galaxy.. will check the reviews and other info on internet tonight.

Sakala,
niinga kodutha linkla 10-ku 8 per thitti thaan post pannu irukkanga :( But, problatha mattum post panrathu general habit.. theere are some good logical views also.. maybe it is a good model for that price..

hamid
18th January 2012, 04:11 PM
Unicode support is only from 4.0, that too viewing Indic fonts only inside browser For typing, there are apps like Tamilvisai.

Hamid, Tamil and other Indic fonts are supported partially. There are shortcuts. no need to root and all! Don't worry, u can read and write tamil!

i also heard Samsung Galaxy has some provision to install Indic fonts which are not in android phones. not sure, will veryfy and confirm.
EFGHI- inime miss pannave maaten :cool:

intha rooting-na enna epapdi panrathunnu therinjikkanum.. ore weekend netla ukkarren:D

Galaxy ya intha weekend check panni paarthudaren..

hamid
18th January 2012, 04:14 PM
Sakala,

Nokia akkame pokathannu solriingala? symbian Anna nalla irukkunnu solraaingale? venaava?

Galaxy okay.. oru backup option kodungalen....Salsa also seems good...

DH, HTC desire ellam evvalo? more than 20K right? is it worth it?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 04:40 PM
Hamid, Nokia, Symbian pathi enakku idea illai thatsall. And also feature wise they are too limited. Features means, not hardware features, but apps. Ithaan compatible hardware, appadinnu mudivu pannittu, athukku mela oru OS pottuttu, athukku mela, apps ezhuthitte pogaNum. Thats what hapens with android. Similar to what happens in PC/Laptop, one base hardware, slight variations on that, and tons of software. Nokia itself could not even just sustain with Symbian, thatswhy went to Windows Mobile. All becos of Android. Both the price and vareity of Apps, one just cannot get that combination elsewhere, except Android.

littlemaster1982
18th January 2012, 05:13 PM
Sakala,

Nokia akkame pokathannu solriingala? symbian Anna nalla irukkunnu solraaingale? venaava?

Nokia pakkam poga venaam-nu sonnadhu naan :p Nokia-vudaiya higher end models avvalavu VFM illa enbadhu ennudaiya karutthu. If you think a particular Nokia model fits your requirement, go ahead :)

VENKIRAJA
18th January 2012, 05:46 PM
Sakala,

Nokia-la ecosystem dhaan prachna.. Symbian (Ovi, or whatever it is called now) OS doesn't have customization, or a range of applications like BB or iOS. Android is a poor man's iOS.
I'd suggest -
Samsung Galaxy R - 21k or Xperia Neo V - 18k.
Motorola Defy 14.5k or HTC Wildfire S - 13k.

BTW, Isn't Android 4.1 supposed to be Jellybeans or something?

directhit
18th January 2012, 05:58 PM
Not sure about HTC Sense UI but Samsung's Touchwiz can be disabled thru Settings. You can select to run only the Stock Android(2.3) yes touchwiz can be turned off, however in the stock rom the memory mgmt is done the samsung way and thts 'supposedly' ruining its battery! but other than the battery galaxy phones are :thumbsup:

directhit
18th January 2012, 06:07 PM
Hamid - Desire is a bit old, i guess HTC has come up with HTC Sensation if ur comfy with the budget of Desire etc. HTC Salsa is more of a mid range between Wildfire and Desire.

I am actually looking at a mid range Android phone and have so far zeroed in on HTC Salsa or Sony Ericcson Neo V. Both are here around 12-13K. both are on gingerbread, another alternative is ofc a mid range Galaxy - maybe GalaxyW (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_w_i8150-4114.php)- around 15K or so (Galaxy R is quite pricy here.. around 20k! ). I would be buying one by this saturday, if u hvnt bought till then would give u feedback :-P

Nokia and Symbian (or windows 7) pakkame pogadheenga :lol: somehow feels totally outdated, i made a mistake of trying out windows and bought Omnia II in the past!!

Ericcson Neo V pathengala? seems quite good... look wise and specs wise...

directhit
18th January 2012, 06:08 PM
EFGHI- inime miss pannave maaten :cool:

intha rooting-na enna epapdi panrathunnu therinjikkanum.. ore weekend netla ukkarren:D

Galaxy ya intha weekend check panni paarthudaren.. straight head over to xda forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/) - they have ROMs and good instructions for almost all Android phones, i am planning to root my Samsung Galaxy S with Ice cream sandwich over this weekend :-D

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th January 2012, 06:33 PM
directhit, rooting experiences post pannunga :) Planning for Cyanogen mod or what rom? I guess ur batt life will be more, once u r done with modding!

directhit
18th January 2012, 06:39 PM
was on Darky's for some time - liked the ROM quite well, now planning to try this one - Onecosmic's ICS Port Android 4.0.3 RC3.1 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1398223) - weekend varai porumai illama ippo start pannalaamanu thinking ... actually have given up on battery :-P coz anyways i charge at office now.. maybe might get a new battery... if all this fails - straight jump to new iphone :lol:

Edit : looks like XDA is also doing a blackout to support SOPA - my risk taking is postponed to chinese new year holidays over the weekend, will update :)

Prabo
18th January 2012, 07:00 PM
Is SE Neo available in Chennai (not SE Neo V) ?

directhit
19th January 2012, 10:50 AM
SE Neo production has been stopped, so not sure you wud get it..

Prabo
19th January 2012, 06:38 PM
oh appadiya....thanks. I thought it had better features in that price range.

vithagan
19th January 2012, 09:08 PM
Nerd & other US Hubbers, Starting from 23rd dec 2011, I was daily scanning for deals. I was checking slickdeals.net to the extent that antha site e thenji pora aLAvukku, for every 2 hrs. Also was separately checking bestbuy, walmart, kmart, frys and many such, for interesting Tablet deals.

Nothing interesting, appeared till today! Only deal which is slightly OK for me is the Acer Iconia tab, that too refurbished for $298. That one comes with 90 day warranty so I am still thinking of buying it or not. Added to that Motorola xoom reduced its india prices to Rs.21.5K which is almost equal to the US prices, that too considering the ever increasing dollar value!

There was not even one single deal (atleast what i saw online) comparable to the thanksgiving day deals(bestbuy - 7" acer for $169, 10" acer for $229 & asus for just $299) I missed those deals in few blinks, and thought that this was just trailer and Xmas New Year deals will be the main picture :( but totally nothing interesting deals! Any idea u gys came across interesting deal for tablets?!?

Lenovo.com (http://slickdeals.net/?pno=67538&lno=1&afsrc=1) has their Lenovo 16GB IdeaPad A1 7" Android Tablet for $167 when you apply coupon code EMPLOYEEPRICE0119 at checkout. Shipping is free.
http://slickdeals.net/f/3842852-Lenovo-IdeaPad-A1-Tablet-167-20-tax

Nerd
19th January 2012, 09:38 PM
Nice deal!! But I would eventually get a tablet if the prices fall below $100 :smokesmile:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
19th January 2012, 11:18 PM
nice deal, converting the price gives INR 8.4K! but i am in need of 10" tabs for specific purposes, and i have no purpose with 7" ones....

Nanri Vithagan, not checking slickdeals for few days, so didnt know this deal before you posted :)

vithagan
20th January 2012, 12:08 AM
Nice deal!! But I would eventually get a tablet if the prices fall below $100 :smokesmile:

Touchpadukku vandha maadhiri.. "Fire Sale" vandha dhaan undu.. ;)

Slickdeals is the best bet.. recently I got a Super deal on "LG 42 Inch LCD for $189" which I sold for $400 in CL ;)

vithagan
20th January 2012, 12:13 AM
nice deal, converting the price gives INR 8.4K! but i am in need of 10" tabs for specific purposes, and i have no purpose with 7" ones....

Nanri Vithagan, not checking slickdeals for few days, so didnt know this deal before you posted :)

I'm sure you know this.. "Deal Talk" is the section you should look at in addition to "Hot deals" :)

directhit
20th January 2012, 04:15 PM
oh appadiya....thanks. I thought it had better features in that price range. yeah thts a better phone, they stopped its production after the Japanese quakes, however some export sets are still available. I could find the phone here in Sing, selling at approx INR 13K.

Hamid - phone vangiteengala? I bought mine today - Sony Xperia Neo V - jus started installing some stuff, i find it far smoother than Samsung Galaxy S ..http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/common/img/products/phones/sony-ericsson/xperia-neo-v/xperia_neo_v_SC_large_second.jpg

Prabo
20th January 2012, 04:48 PM
I am also planning to buy Neo V, if Neo is not available. Can you share how the battery performance is after using internet/games/calls? It's the only thing I am concerned about SE. My other choice is Samsung Galaxy S LCD I9003 because of bigger display and nearly same spec and price. But, with no news about ICH update from Samsung, I think I'll better go with SE Neo. Also, can you tell why you have gone for Neo V when Neo is available there?

directhit
20th January 2012, 05:12 PM
My other choice is Samsung Galaxy S LCD I9003 because of bigger display and nearly same spec and price. But, with no news about ICH update from Samsung, I think I'll better go with SE Neo. Sony is supposed to have the ICS update; but you never know with google! the only phone they update religiously is Nexus :) will update you on Battery in a few days; 4 days holiday from today - best time to check on the battery :-P

Also, can you tell why you have gone for Neo V when Neo is available there? Main reason was since Neo was discontinued, wasnt sure if i cud get good after sales service etc. And also the only available Neo sets are export sets which means no warranty! Additionally the major (and maybe only) diff between Neo and Neo V is the 5mp camera as opposed to 8MP, so felt its better to go for Neo V.

Nerd
20th January 2012, 09:01 PM
Slickdeals is the best bet.. recently I got a Super deal on "LG 42 Inch LCD for $189" which I sold for $400 in CL ;)

idhu veraiyaa? :shock:

Prabo
20th January 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks DH. There's one more difference, Neo comes with 8gb card.

hamid
20th January 2012, 10:40 PM
DH,

Still havent bought one. Checked for HTC salsa yesterday. it was not available. Galaxy W(wonder) was around 1299 Riyals. Neo V was also not avaiable.. so didnt buy anything.
Bought Sony EX520 40" LED TV along with wifi Dongle and Skype camera for around 38000 INR.. Believe it is a nice deal :D the Skype was very useful and in full chat from today evening :)

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace (wife's)..niinga sonna forum use panni rooting pannalamanu yosichittu irukken :D

wizzy
20th January 2012, 10:55 PM
@Hamid do you use WIDI?
Any one with Samsung LCD TVs tried WIDI? any bottleneck in streaming HD videos?

hamid
20th January 2012, 11:25 PM
@Hamid do you use WIDI?
Any one with Samsung LCD TVs tried WIDI? any bottleneck in streaming HD videos?

Wizzy,

naan WIDI/Samsung TV use pannaliinga..

wizzy
20th January 2012, 11:37 PM
^ WIDI is nothing but a wireless display..it replaces your HDMI and saves lots of trouble..my Samsung TV is old and doesn't have any internet widgets so was hoping if any third party adapter can be used to connect the laptops with TV.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th January 2012, 11:52 PM
Is that equivalent to DLNA? I am able to sent 1080p videos from my Android phone to Samsung TV which has DLNA, using an app called Meridian

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st January 2012, 12:06 AM
Sony Ericsson Xperia neoV vs Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray vs Sony Ericsson Xperia pro vs Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S (http://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/compare?ids=MOBD2PYZDKCHEYAF,MOBD253G8UQKKSVH,MOBD 38S3FGBGGAN7,MOBD3WDNY95PDVEF)

just for 400MHz extra CPU speed Arc S has, u pay 10K more than neo V!

That apart, Not much difference, except price :shock: and that too for a just 300mb internal memory

wizzy
21st January 2012, 10:03 AM
SKV, yep looking for a DLNA equivalent..yam smart phone challenged :-) have used a ASUS usb n-10 with the tv still couldn't get it connected...Samsung charges a premium for LinkStick.

ajithfederer
21st January 2012, 10:10 AM
Anybody uses the latest Iphone here?

directhit
21st January 2012, 10:20 AM
directhit, rooting experiences post pannunga :) Planning for Cyanogen mod or what rom? I guess ur batt life will be more, once u r done with modding!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace (wife's)..niinga sonna forum use panni rooting pannalamanu yosichittu irukken :D i hv rooted a few times before, but the ice cream sandwich one kavuthufied :lol2: i think i have bricked my phone, cannot go into recovery mode, goes to download mode - but doesnt get recognized by Odin also (sometimes gets identified), now trying out a stock rom with Eclair :lol: let me see if this works, illaina edhanaa shop kku poi repair pannanum :oops:

directhit
21st January 2012, 10:23 AM
Sony Ericsson Xperia neoV vs Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray vs Sony Ericsson Xperia pro vs Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S (http://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/compare?ids=MOBD2PYZDKCHEYAF,MOBD253G8UQKKSVH,MOBD 38S3FGBGGAN7,MOBD3WDNY95PDVEF)

That apart, Not much difference, except price :shock: and that too for a just 300mb internal memory Arc S looks super cool nga, esp with the big screen and the 8MP camera... am thinking abt buying that now (if my Galaxy S doesnt come back to life from Hospital!) instead of an Iphone or Galaxy S2.

Neo V has been very impressive so far, like it even better than my Galaxy S; if only Arc S was available in Red colour!!

hamid
21st January 2012, 11:43 AM
i hv rooted a few times before, but the ice cream sandwich one kavuthufied :lol2: i think i have bricked my phone, cannot go into recovery mode, goes to download mode - but doesnt get recognized by Odin also (sometimes gets identified), now trying out a stock rom with Eclair :lol: let me see if this works, illaina edhanaa shop kku poi repair pannanum :oops:

updated my Samsung Galaxy to Gingerbread Version yesterday.. got a taste of the Android power/possibilities...:cool2: Nokia ruled out now :D only Android..

Innum root pannala..thats for today maybe.. ennenna advantagees root panrathunaala? administrator previleges maathiriya? gv me some examples of useful things I can do in my Galaxy ace with rooting.. moving apps to smartcard and improve performance? like those?

hamid
21st January 2012, 11:45 AM
From the reviews I see the HTC models has a feature to access the PCs internet connectivity.. that is to browse in your mobile using the connected PC's connectivity.. that looks super cool.. I can connect to mayyam etc in my mobile without anyone noticing in office :noteeth:

and forgot to tell the important thing y'day. Tamil support was available after the upgrade :super: can browse thatstamil, dinamalar mayyam etc... :boo:

directhit
21st January 2012, 12:09 PM
Innum root pannala..thats for today maybe.. ennenna advantagees root panrathunaala? administrator previleges maathiriya? gv me some examples of useful things I can do in my Galaxy ace with rooting.. moving apps to smartcard and improve performance? like those? you can install custom ROMs - ie user created versions. You might find better packages done by ppl than the samsung version, they would remove the apps which are custom built and bring additional apps as a package. Also they would have the Kernel built differently to handle memory etc faster and so on.. idhellam install panna you need to root your phone. But be prepared to lose your phone as well in the process! all those process are usually risky and you might end up spoiling ur phone for ever....

and forgot to tell the important thing y'day. Tamil support was available after the upgrade :super: can browse thatstamil, dinamalar mayyam etc... this is with Gingerbread update?!?! Neo V is in Gingerbread, i still cant read tamil aache :confused2:

directhit
21st January 2012, 12:10 PM
Phew - Finally got my phone to flash with Eclair version, i thought i had lost my phone, atleast got that back.. Enna Icecream Sandwich kku aasapattu now back all the way to Eclair :lol2: wud try to get a good version of Gingerbread installed now....

hamid
21st January 2012, 12:13 PM
you can install custom ROMs - ie user created versions. You might find better packages done by ppl than the samsung version, they would remove the apps which are custom built and bring additional apps as a package. Also they would have the Kernel built differently to handle memory etc faster and so on.. idhellam install panna you need to root your phone. But be prepared to lose your phone as well in the process! all those process are usually risky and you might end up spoiling ur phone for ever....
Thanks DH.. will try that.. thats okay.. will get a new one if that happends :lol:

this is with Gingerbread update?!?! Neo V is in Gingerbread, i still cant read tamil aache :confused2:
Yep.. dont know how.. was sweetly surprised.. It had Hindi support before.. now just tried and was surprised to see google tamil first(valai, seythikaL etc) then checked other sites and found them to be working as well..

pesama intha phoneaiye eduthukkalaamannum paarkuren :noteeth:

hamid
21st January 2012, 12:14 PM
Phew - Finally got my phone to flash with Eclair version, i thought i had lost my phone, atleast got that back.. Enna Icecream Sandwich kku aasapattu now back all the way to Eclair :lol2: wud try to get a good version of Gingerbread installed now....

:cool2: :thumbsup: update pannittu check panni paarunga.. maybe you will get Tamil support too..:)

directhit
21st January 2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks DH.. will try that.. thats okay.. will get a new one if that happends usually Samsung and Android is quite ok, doesnt get bricked soon. I've formatted and reformatted my Galaxy S like 10-15 times so far. Give it a try - some ROMs usually are quite fast since they remove many useless apps from memory.

Yep.. dont know how.. was sweetly surprised.. It had Hindi support before.. now just tried and was surprised to see google tamil first(valai, seythikaL etc) then checked other sites and found them to be working as well..

pesama intha phoneaiye eduthukkalaamannum paarkuren :thumbsup: Maybe works only in Samsung - would confirm with mine, Sony Neo V la work aagalai.

raghavendran
21st January 2012, 01:38 PM
guys have a query

i have Windows XP Professional service pack 2 pirated version...i want service pack 3..but i am not able to download because mine is a pirated version..so there is a patch to WGA..if i download that i am told that the windows validation will be passed and i can download/install windows service pack 3...

but i dunno what is this patch/crack for WGA?..idha download panni run panna edachu problem varuma?..i want service pack3..is there any other solutions for it?...
pls reply ASAP..thank u :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st January 2012, 02:23 PM
Hamid and directhit, when u guys say tamil font working & not working, respectively, exactly what is working / not working?

Viewing tamil fonts in ANY browser is one thing

Viewing tamil in opera mini browser is another, this is verymuch possible in any non-roted phone

Viewing tamil within apps is another thing

Able to type in tamil is another thing but again this is mostly possible even in non-rooted phone, with apps like tamilvisai

(To view tamil fonts inside opera mini browser, type about:config in addressbar nd go to last option, "Use bitmaps for complex scripts" make it 'yes' and save. U shud be able to see tamil in mayyam thatstamil etc)

So exactly what is working?

Install dinamalar app, u can see tamil fonts without installin anything, but thats limited to pnly that app. It uses same method as opera mini. Some apps need fonts installed, for viewing...

hamid
21st January 2012, 02:29 PM
Hamid and directhot, when u guys say tamil font working & not working, respectively, exactly what is working / not working?

Viewing tamil fonts in ANY browser is one thing

Viewing tamil in oper browseris another, this is verymuch possible in any non-roted phone

Viewing tamil within apps is anotherthing

Able to type in tamil is another thing but again this is mostly possible even in non-rooted phone, with apps like tamilvisai

(To view tamil fonts inside opera mini browser, type about:config in addressbar nd go to last option, "Use bitmaps for complex scripts" make it 'yes' and save. U shud be able to see tamil in mayyam thatstamil etc)

Sakala,

I can view Tamil in the native browser.. I dont like Opera and dont use it.. Tamil is supported in all through the phone for me after Gingerbread update.
I cant type in Tamil and havent installed Tamilvisai or anything yet.. but in Google Tamil search site, when I type in English it converts the same to Tamil as in browser in PC.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st January 2012, 02:34 PM
Hamid, as i said before, some samsung models suppor tamil natively without installing anything, great, u r lucky!

Wrt generic android, viewing indic fonts inside native browser, feature s availble from 4.0 onwards

hamid
21st January 2012, 02:38 PM
Hamid, as i said before, some samsung models suppor tamil natively without installing anything, great, u r lucky!

Wrt generic android, viewing indic fonts inside native browser, feature s availble from 4.0 onwards

Fine Sakala..Just to add the Tamil support was available only after the Gingerbread update.. Previously it wasnt available.

directhit
21st January 2012, 03:09 PM
yes, just now checked - Gingerbread 2.3.6 onwards tamil unicode support is extended. so normal browser would support tamil font. Not sure if Facebook and Twitter also would show tamil fonts - Hamid, can you confirm that? typically it should since the firmware itself supports it.

And thats the reason it doesnt work for me in both my rooted and neo v versions - i am on Gingerbread 2.3.4! :oops: Now rooting to another ROM with 2.3.6 - i'd like to read tamil in twitter in particular... hope that works

hamid
21st January 2012, 04:10 PM
yes, just now checked - Gingerbread 2.3.6 onwards tamil unicode support is extended. so normal browser would support tamil font. Not sure if Facebook and Twitter also would show tamil fonts - Hamid, can you confirm that? typically it should since the firmware itself supports it.

And thats the reason it doesnt work for me in both my rooted and neo v versions - i am on Gingerbread 2.3.4! :oops: Now rooting to another ROM with 2.3.6 - i'd like to read tamil in twitter in particular... hope that works

my version is 2.3.5.. am installing twitter app and will let u know soon..

hamid
21st January 2012, 04:14 PM
Twitter works fine...will check facebook and let you know.

venkkiram
21st January 2012, 04:15 PM
http://slickdeals.net/f/3850512-Sennheiser-HD-280-PRO-Professional-DJ-Styled-Headphones-59-95-with-Free-shipping

Is this a good deal? This offer is valid only for today.

your timely suggestions needed! thanks.

hamid
21st January 2012, 04:16 PM
meanwhile, DH, root panrathukku oru simple guide iruntha (URL) kudunga.. for samsung ace

hamid
21st January 2012, 04:19 PM
Facebook also works fine.. :boo:

mareen
21st January 2012, 04:21 PM
Guys I can confirm after that update you can see Tamil in Facebook app, tapatalk and twitter. however some letters are jumbled but that is not a problem.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st January 2012, 05:11 PM
mareen, generally, if you can see mayyam with tamil fonts visible, in android browser, then any site, facebook or twitter, or thatstamil will show tamil fonts.

Mostly that shud be the same case wrt individual apps too. I mean, if one app, for example facebook app can show tamil fonts, then twitter, tapatalk, and other apps also shud follow the suit.

directhit
21st January 2012, 06:28 PM
my version is 2.3.5.. am installing twitter app and will let u know soon.. oh 2.3.5 kke work aagudhaa.. nonsense 2.3.4! am trying my best to get the ROM files downloaded for 2.3.6.. all the links are hotfile.com site, and that doesnt work at all for me :banghead: hv to go some other route he he...

meanwhile, DH, root panrathukku oru simple guide iruntha (URL) kudunga.. for samsung ace this one is quite good and simple procedure for rooting; http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1282011

while you are doing that you might notice that getting into the recovery mode is a bit painful; holding some keys together pressed etc. I suggest you install Clockworkmod recovery; this would give you a menu in your phone itself to directly go into download or recovery mode; quite useful esp if you are going to install custom ROMs etc. you can do that by using this method - http://acetips.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/install-cwm-ace-gb/ once that is complete the latest version is available for you here http://acetips.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/install-cwm-v5-ace-gb/

hamid
21st January 2012, 06:44 PM
oh 2.3.5 kke work aagudhaa.. nonsense 2.3.4! am trying my best to get the ROM files downloaded for 2.3.6.. all the links are hotfile.com site, and that doesnt work at all for me :banghead: hv to go some other route he he...

ennachunnu sollunga...

this one is quite good and simple procedure for rooting; http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1282011

while you are doing that you might notice that getting into the recovery mode is a bit painful; holding some keys together pressed etc. I suggest you install Clockworkmod recovery; this would give you a menu in your phone itself to directly go into download or recovery mode; quite useful esp if you are going to install custom ROMs etc. you can do that by using this method - http://acetips.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/install-cwm-ace-gb/ once that is complete the latest version is available for you here http://acetips.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/install-cwm-v5-ace-gb/

Thanks.. ivlo easya...done it in 5 mins.. :cool: aduthu enna? :noteeth:

directhit
21st January 2012, 06:49 PM
ennachunnu sollunga... thx to google got the d/l links from elsewhere - am going to install some lighting fast (lol) and battery saving gingerbread 2.3.6. based firmware for my phone... if all goes well that is, illaina have to go back to eclair firmware he he..

Thanks.. ivlo easya...done it in 5 mins.. :cool: aduthu enna? :noteeth: lol :) actually quite easy to root. look around xda forums, you might find a version of the ROM (basically this changes the whole software in ur phone; look/feel and usability etc) which is interesting... then you can start rooting and flashing new ROMs. for e.g in the new version i am installing there is google talk with video :-P

littlemaster1982
21st January 2012, 07:04 PM
guys have a query

i have Windows XP Professional service pack 2 pirated version...i want service pack 3..but i am not able to download because mine is a pirated version..so there is a patch to WGA..if i download that i am told that the windows validation will be passed and i can download/install windows service pack 3...

but i dunno what is this patch/crack for WGA?..idha download panni run panna edachu problem varuma?..i want service pack3..is there any other solutions for it?...
pls reply ASAP..thank u :)

WGA patch-la periya problem onnum varaadhu. Which patch you are gonna use?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
22nd January 2012, 03:13 AM
directhit, just that ur version is 2.3.4 or higher than hamid's, that may not be enuf wrt tamil fonts. becos, similar to the UI items they add (Samsung's touchwiz, HTC Sense UI), manufacturers also alter the kernel and add files to kernel level also. To further verify, u may ask hamid to post the files he see in system/fonts folder. There may be different files from what the stock android gives. Thats why he is able to view tamil fonts without any modding and u aren't, even u has higher version.

I have heard that, samsung used to add some fonts which supports indic fonts, which cannot be normally added by end user, without rooting.

hamid
22nd January 2012, 11:04 AM
directhit, just that ur version is 2.3.4 or higher than hamid's, that may not be enuf wrt tamil fonts. becos, similar to the UI items they add (Samsung's touchwiz, HTC Sense UI), manufacturers also alter the kernel and add files to kernel level also. To further verify, u may ask hamid to post the files he see in system/fonts folder. There may be different files from what the stock android gives. Thats why he is able to view tamil fonts without any modding and u aren't, even u has higher version.

I have heard that, samsung used to add some fonts which supports indic fonts, which cannot be normally added by end user, without rooting.

Sakala,

The logic which you are saying makes perfect sense. But the only thing which needs to be noticed is my Phone didnt support Tamil fonts before the update. So , there wasnt any Tamil font with my phone before updating to Gingerbread.

Maybe u r saying the Gingerbread update for Samsung Galaxy Ace which I used contains those new fonts? I believe it shd be the version which might have the support rather than the phone itelf.. I will check the Font folder and post the contents soon. But how can we rule out that the udpate placed some fonts there?

directhit
22nd January 2012, 11:08 AM
SKV, ur right, i need to flash the latest version of the stock gingerbread (similar to what Hamid has) to see the tamil fonts... i flashed with a 2.3.6 gingerbread ROM and can read Hindi (:lol2:) now in Twitter and FB , tamil font laam blank a varudhu (munna irundha rectangles for unicode fonts kooda kaanom lol) - but battery seems much improved now and i like the layout/screens etc. so going to continue this for some more time b4 attempting another flash with icecream sandwich - almost bricked my phone trying that yesterday :oops: But very tempting to try, 2 more days of leave vera...

hamid
22nd January 2012, 11:14 AM
DH,

unga phone exact model enna? evvalo cost?
I saw a similar model yesterday..Sony Neo- MT15i - Looked almost the same as the photo you have posted. But the cost was 1500 Riyals ( 21000 INR)..

directhit
22nd January 2012, 11:40 AM
Hamid, mine's Sony Ericcson Neo V, the one you have seen is its predecessor. Sony came up with Samsung Neo first; has 8MP camera and 8gb card. However after some Japan earthquakes etc they had issues with production and switched to the Neo V model with 5mp camera and give a 2gb card in the box. Neo model is good, infact even a better model and expensive coz of the better camera; however just check if you have warranty and you can go for it if the price suits you. inga i dont get Neo with warranty, only have export sets without warranty. Also Neo has a fabulous Red colour phone which is not available here!! irundhaa kandippa wud have bought that.

My phone's price is 349 sing dollars; approx 14K INR. Neo export phone is here 13K INR.

And also another additional feature in Neo V phone is that the Camera has Panaroma view; took a couple of snaps yesterday 8-) and the volume is much much much better than Galaxy S Series. Am not sure of HTC though...

PS : btw all my rooting and experiments are with my Galaxy S phone... hvnt tried (nor have intentions to) all that with SE Neo

directhit
22nd January 2012, 11:42 AM
http://st.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/sony-ericsson-xperia-neo/gal/2/gsmarena_001.jpg

idhaane neenga paathadhu, Prabo kooda idha pathi dhaan kettitirundhaar...

hamid
22nd January 2012, 11:51 AM
Hamid, mine's Sony Ericcson Neo V, the one you have seen is its predecessor. Sony came up with Samsung Neo first; has 8MP camera and 8gb card. However after some Japan earthquakes etc they had issues with production and switched to the Neo V model with 5mp camera and give a 2gb card in the box. Neo model is good, infact even a better model and expensive coz of the better camera; however just check if you have warranty and you can go for it if the price suits you. inga i dont get Neo with warranty, only have export sets without warranty. Also Neo has a fabulous Red colour phone which is not available here!! irundhaa kandippa wud have bought that.

My phone's price is 349 sing dollars; approx 14K INR. Neo export phone is here 13K INR.

And also another additional feature in Neo V phone is that the Camera has Panaroma view; took a couple of snaps yesterday 8-) and the volume is much much much better than Galaxy S Series. Am not sure of HTC though...

PS : btw all my rooting and experiments are with my Galaxy S phone... hvnt tried (nor have intentions to) all that with SE Neo

Thanks DH.. then I wont go for that...Generally I see the mobile prices to be on par or costly here :( TVs are the only ones which are damn cheap..
have to see,, saw the following models yesterday.
Nexus : 24K INR
Galaxy Y : 10.5K INR
Galaxy R : (this is the one sakala said I believe) : 23.5 K
Galaxy S Plus : 28K
HTC A310E (Explorer) : 12.5 K ( reviews seems good for this model..any idea on this?)

hamid
22nd January 2012, 11:51 AM
http://st.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/sony-ericsson-xperia-neo/gal/2/gsmarena_001.jpg

idhaane neenga paathadhu, Prabo kooda idha pathi dhaan kettitirundhaar...

Yes..I think so..

directhit
22nd January 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks DH.. then I wont go for that...Generally I see the mobile prices to be on par or costly here TVs are the only ones which are damn cheap..
have to see,, saw the following models yesterday.
Nexus : 24K INR
Galaxy Y : 10.5K INR
Galaxy R : (this is the one sakala said I believe) : 23.5 K
Galaxy S Plus : 28K
HTC A310E (Explorer) : 12.5 K ( reviews seems good for this model..any idea on this?) no idea on that HTC model, jus saw the specs - says 600MHZ CPU and also reviews says its slow coz of that.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
22nd January 2012, 04:02 PM
Indian Government Announces Mobile Governance Framework
[App Store, Mobile Friendly Sites, Payment Gateway and more] (http://www.pluggd.in/mobile-governance-framework-for-india-297/)

good Move :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
26th January 2012, 03:48 AM
If u think robots are still lagging behind bagyaraj, when it comes to dance, see the below video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mF97isnJ3Xc

Chinese robots are capable of break-dance. India??

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th January 2012, 01:29 AM
Phonesize.com (http://phone-size.com/?s=2%2C3%2C13%2C1%2C27)

Show the actual size of a phone on your screen!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th January 2012, 11:48 PM
Here’s How Apple Controls Its Boardrooms From An iPad [MacWorld / iWorld 2012] (http://www.cultofmac.com/143330/heres-how-apple-controls-its-boardrooms-from-an-ipad-macworld-iworld-2012/)

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/crestron.jpg

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/screenshot-640x446.jpg

PARAMASHIVAN
31st January 2012, 06:04 PM
Can some one suggest a good MP3 player? which is simple to use.

vithagan
31st January 2012, 07:20 PM
Ipod touch

VENKIRAJA
31st January 2012, 07:34 PM
Can some one suggest a good MP3 player? which is simple to use.

Cowon brand of music players. Best sound in the range. <Flipkart page (http://www.flipkart.com/browse/mp3-players-ipods/cowon?_r=EyURjPly2KUi47es2E_zyg--&_l=iyX8XzFhyTuLj2%2B8ub_G9A--&ref=6a2c3f6e-0e76-4c4f-b6c9-3d44124030df&filter=is_available%3Atrue&layout=grid&sort=price_asc)>

PARAMASHIVAN
31st January 2012, 07:42 PM
Cowon brand of music players. Best sound in the range. <Flipkart page (http://www.flipkart.com/browse/mp3-players-ipods/cowon?_r=EyURjPly2KUi47es2E_zyg--&_l=iyX8XzFhyTuLj2%2B8ub_G9A--&ref=6a2c3f6e-0e76-4c4f-b6c9-3d44124030df&filter=is_available%3Atrue&layout=grid&sort=price_asc)>

Venki,

it seems the brand mentioned is available in India only, not in uk :|

Thanks any way :)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th February 2012, 08:49 AM
Varsity students to get Aakash tablet free (http://www.deccanherald.com/content/225196/varsity-students-get-aakash-tablet.html)

This 350 MHz slow tablet wont be useful for students, other than the short term excitement that its free

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th February 2012, 09:27 AM
The top 50 Android tablet apps (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/feb/06/50-best-android-tablet-apps)
Whether you've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab, Amazon's Kindle Fire or another Android tablet, you'll be looking for some great apps. The Gaurdian have picked some of the best