PDA

View Full Version : Funny things in languages

Pages : 1 [2]

app_engine
14th April 2010, 07:40 PM
The comedy with English "silence" with the first letter isn't limited to K or H, there are many.

One of the funniest is the way they pronounce greek imports. They may say the letter "p" was retained as the first because it was in the original language, greek (as in Psyche, Psychology) but still we want the P to be silent.

However, P is not "silent" in the original language.

Greeks pronounce Psyche as P-s-y-che while the engleeswAlAs have made all the "சைக்கோ" business!

skanthan
15th April 2010, 11:43 PM
Another interesting peculiarity I have noticed in Tamil is that although there is a vadamozhi letter for that sound, the sa in Ganesa, Siva or Saravana is represented as ச' or ச especial when writng in Sanskrit with Tamil script. Although that letter has been retained in some publications.

ie:

கணேச'
சி'வ
ச'ரவண

This sound represented by ச' is seperate sound from the ஸ and ஷ sounds. That sound is somewhere in between a sha sound and a sa sound but closer to a sa sound alsthough it is sometimes pronounced as sha like in shoe. Where as the ஷ is a palatal sound like ட, ண, ள and ழ.

app_engine
16th April 2010, 12:42 AM
This sound represented by ச' is seperate sound from the ஸ and ஷ sounds. That sound is somewhere in between a sha sound and a sa sound but closer to a sa sound alsthough it is sometimes pronounced as sha like in shoe.

That's because there's a separate alphabet with such an "in-between" sound in Sanskrit based languages (Hindi / Malayalam).

Look at the array of "ச" variants in Hindi / Malayalam :
च / ച - cha - ச
स / സ - sa - ஸ
ष / ഷ - sha - ஷ

and

श / ശ - this is the one in-between, written in English as "sha" again and Thamizh as ச, but this is not the same as ஷ :-)

As you can see, Malayalam has a character for this which is widely used.

In Hindi, the names Ganesh & Shiva use this character I believe and ofcourse that's the one used in Malayalam.

skanthan
16th April 2010, 01:17 AM
That's because there's a separate alphabet with such an "in-between" sound in Sanskrit based languages (Hindi / Malayalam).

Look at the array of "ச" variants in Hindi / Malayalam :
च / ച - cha - ச
स / സ - sa - ஸ
ष / ഷ - sha - ஷ

and

श / ശ - this is the one in-between, written in English as "sha" again and Thamizh as ச, but this is not the same as ஷ :-)

As you can see, Malayalam has a character for this which is widely used.

In Hindi, the names Ganesh & Shiva use this character I believe and ofcourse that's the one used in Malayalam.

The vadamozhi letter for that in between sound looks like the Malayalam letter for that same sound, but more square.

I am also aware of the letters for those sounds in Hindi and Malayalam scripts.

If you look at the the follwing article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_script , you can see that letter in the list of vadamozhi letters. That letter appears before ஜ்.

app_engine
16th April 2010, 01:43 AM
skanthan,
My browser does not show that character properly (looks like dotted circle plus something unclear).

In any case, if there's such a character, I've not seen that in my life so far :-)

I don't think that is used in any Thamizh publication printed from 70's onwards!

app_engine
16th April 2010, 01:49 AM
Interestingly, only one variant of that character is used in Thamizh (just now recalled)

ஸ்ரீ

(This is the same as Malayalam ശ്രീ )

app_engine
16th April 2010, 01:56 AM
Though this "shri" is used, I definitely have not seen the use of sh alone (or sha, shi, shO etc) anywhere

Ramona
16th April 2010, 02:06 AM
Funny things in language:

"You are too close to close the door". :confused2:

app_engine
16th April 2010, 02:36 AM
Interestingly, only one variant of that character is used in Thamizh (just now recalled)

ஸ்ரீ

(This is the same as Malayalam ശ്രീ )

I have seen in one Srilankan stamp picture that even the Sinhalese letter for "shri" (as in Srilanka) looks very similar.

See this image from wikipedia:

[html:fc42166aea]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Sinhala-shri.png
[/html:fc42166aea]

skanthan
16th April 2010, 07:24 AM
Though this "shri" is used, I definitely have not seen the use of sh alone (or sha, shi, shO etc) anywhere

It is there. But now, few publications use that letter now.

As for your browser, I do not understand why it does not show properly. It shows on my browser. Although, I do get the dotted circle after it.

If you try to look in publications related to religion or poojas or in any chanting books from prior to 1970s esp those in Sanskrit written in Tamil script, you may find that letter.

joe
16th April 2010, 08:13 AM

ஷ ,ஷி ,ஷோ

இதை சொல்லுறீங்களா அல்லது வேறயா? :roll:

raagadevan
16th April 2010, 09:26 AM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/news/2010/04/15/sashi-tharoor-lalit-modi-ipl-gabriella-demetriades.html

Sashi Dharoor - Modi galattA has more than one girl in the story.

ശശി തരൂര്* -> Shashi Tharoor -> சசி தரூர் -> Sashi Dharoor :)

skanthan
16th April 2010, 02:51 PM

ஷ ,ஷி ,ஷோ

இதை சொல்லுறீங்களா அல்லது வேறயா? :roll:

Joe,

The sha that I and app_engine were discussing about is different from ஷ. That letter has a sound represented phonetically as ச' in Tamil script especially when writing Sanskrit prayers, hymns etc in Tamil script.

I am happy vadamozhi letters, namely, ஜ், (ச்'), ஷ், ஸ், ஹ், க்ஷ் and ஸ்ரீ are still in use to this day.

app_engine
16th April 2010, 07:03 PM
raagadevan,
:-) That's the comedy we've been discussing in this thread.

Joe,
As skanthan explained, this is yet another "sa-sha" from vadamozhi. Other than for "sri / shri" (as in ஸ்ரீதேவி) this letter is hardly used in Thamizh.

On the other hand, this is probably the most used sa-sha in Hindi, Malayalam kind of languages, more often (IMO) than ஷ. Names like Ganesh, Shiva use this in those languages.

As I've shown in the picture above, this letter with same shape as Malayalam is there in Sinhalese also and occurs in the name of their country.

app_engine
16th April 2010, 09:55 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=560562&disdate=4/16/2010&advt=2

Fast food = விரைவு உணவகம்
:thumbsup:

Sanjeevi
16th April 2010, 11:01 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=560562&disdate=4/16/2010&advt=2

Fast food = விரைவு உணவகம்
:thumbsup:

very good move. I always have been thought like Govt should involve in Kalaisollakkam and make people try to use them.

app_engine
16th April 2010, 11:14 PM
I've seen often the English speaking people who learn Indian languages struggle with the "kuRil-nedil" business. Especially அ, ஆ. அதுவும் இங்க்லீஷில் transliterate பண்ணினா சுத்தம்.

Then they frown about learning all those extra characters for aa, ii, uu etc for the uyirmei stuff.

On such occasions I'll tease them telling how much we would have struggled with theirs and cite the example of "capital" letters and "small" letters, making one learn almost 52 shapes for only 26 alphabets :-)

skanthan
17th April 2010, 12:28 AM
To app_engine, Joe and others.

Here is a page with images showing pages from books with vadamozhi letters including the one which I was mentioning about.

http://www.gnanam.info/tamil/home.htm

app_engine,

There is an image with that letter by itself on the above page. Maybe you can paste that here so that the hubbers participating in this dicussion can view that letter.

rajraj
17th April 2010, 12:35 AM
The Tamil/grantha 'sa/sha' debated can be seen in this link. That letter is no longer used except in old transliterations of Sanskrit verses.

http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/WG2/docs/n2617.pdf

Scroll down to see some transliterations.

app_engine
17th April 2010, 12:37 AM
skanthan,
That page has nothing new other than what I've posted, i.e ஸ்ரீ. Even that dictionary lists only sri - not "s(h)a / s(h)i / s(h)u" etc

It does not have OTHER variations of this "s(h)a" anywhere, like I mentioned before.

app_engine
17th April 2010, 12:41 AM
Thank you rajraj, I'm seeing the basic (root) letter for ஸ்ரீ for the first time :-)

rajraj
17th April 2010, 12:49 AM
Thank you rajraj, I'm seeing the basic (root) letter for ஸ்ரீ for the first time :-)

You are too young ! :lol:

skanthan
17th April 2010, 01:02 AM
skanthan,
That page has nothing new other than what I've posted, i.e ஸ்ரீ. Even that dictionary lists only sri - not "s(h)a / s(h)i / s(h)u" etc

It does not have OTHER variations of this "s(h)a" anywhere, like I mentioned before.

What? It is there. I will give you the link to all the dictionary pages with that and its variants.

app_engine
17th April 2010, 01:05 AM
skanthan,

Need not worry, I saw that character in the link that rajraj has provided :-)

skanthan
17th April 2010, 01:06 AM
http://www.gnanam.info/tamil/sha/sha.htm

Please see all variants in the images from 2 down.

skanthan
17th April 2010, 01:11 AM
skanthan,

Need not worry, I saw that character in the link that rajraj has provided :-)

Okay. Though a little late. I had already posted that url as seen above. :lol: Maybe you can post that character here so that other hubbers may see it. :)

app_engine
17th April 2010, 01:16 AM
ok, the page from skanthan's link :

[html:a754948d58]
http://www.gnanam.info/tamil/sha/page1.jpg
[/html:a754948d58]

skanthan
17th April 2010, 01:30 AM
The Tamil/grantha 'sa/sha' debated can be seen in this link. That letter is no longer used except in old transliterations of Sanskrit verses.

Rajraj,

I first saw that letter in 1998 on a page comparing various Indian scripts and I think I also saw it in some old chanting books from between the 60s and the 80s. I was 19 going on 20 at that time. Now I am 31 going on 32.

Now in place of that letter, I only see ச் or ச்' being used most of the time ecept for in publications using thick letters for certain sounds.

ie:

க for ga, gha
ச for s'a (the same which I was dicussing about here)
ட for da*, da(aspirated)
த for dha, dha(aspirated)
ப for ba, bha
ரு for ru like in the name Krishna

கனபதி
சிவ, ஈச்வர
நடராஜா, கண்டம்
தமோதரம்
ப்ரஹ்மா
க்ருஷ்ண

skanthan
17th April 2010, 01:37 AM

Rajraj,

I first saw that letter in 1998 on a page comparing various Indian scripts and I think I also saw it in some old chanting books from between the 60s and the 80s. I was 19 going on 20 at that time. Now I am 31 going on 32.

Now in place of that letter, I only see ச் or ச்' being used most of the time ecept for in publications using thick letters for certain sounds.

ie:

க for ga, gha
ச for s'a (the same which I was dicussing about here)
ட for da*, da(aspirated)
த for dha, dha(aspirated)
ப for ba, bha
ரு for ru like in the name Krishna

கனபதி
சிவ, ஈச்வர
நடராஜா, கண்டம்
தமோதரம்
ப்ரஹ்மா
க்ருஷ்ண

Sorry. I meant கணபதி.

rajraj
17th April 2010, 04:17 AM

You are also young skanthan ! :lol:

There was an effort to clean up Tamil of Sanskrit words and eliminate the use of grantha script. That is why you don't see those letters any more. If you went back 60 or 70 years you will see a generous sprinkiling of those letters in written Tamil because of the generous use of Sanskrit words. :)

It was jalam not neer, snaanam not kuLiyal, namaskaram not vaNakkam, varusham not aaNdu, sarva kalaa saalai not pal kalaik kazhagam, samudram not kadal, pusthakam not nool, parikshai not thervu,.............. :)

app_engine
17th April 2010, 06:06 AM
Some of the words in the manipravALa dictionary are interesting.

Shyamala = கருத்த பெண்ணு :-)

(I'm reminded of the 'thEnmAvin kombaththE' song, one of my all-time-fav)

rajraj
17th April 2010, 07:08 AM
Some of the words in the manipravALa dictionary are interesting.

Shyamala = கருத்த பெண்ணு :-)

(I'm reminded of the 'thEnmAvin kombaththE' song, one of my all-time-fav)

shyamaLa = karuppaayi ! :lol:

Sudhaama
17th April 2010, 08:31 AM

Shifted.

skanthan
17th April 2010, 09:19 AM

There was an effort to clean up Tamil of Sanskrit words and eliminate the use of grantha script. That is why you don't see those letters any more. If you went back 60 or 70 years you will see a generous sprinkiling of those letters in written Tamil because of the generous use of Sanskrit words. :)

It was jalam not neer, snaanam not kuLiyal, namaskaram not vaNakkam, varusham not aaNdu, sarva kalaa saalai not pal kalaik kazhagam, samudram not kadal, pusthakam not nool, parikshai not thervu,.............. :)

ஜலம் > நீர்
ச்நானம் > குளியல்
நமஸ்காரம் > வணக்கம்
வருஷம் > ஆண்டு
ஸர்வகலாசா'லை > பல் கலைக்கழகம்
ஸமுத்ரம் > சமுத்திரம், கடல்
புஸ்தகம் > நூல், புத்தகம்
பரிக்ஷை > தெர்வு, பரிட்சை

The vadamozhi letters are still used to some extent and even today, many Sanskrit words, I assume mostly related to religion and religious figures are still in use, but not like what was there until 1970s.

Sudhaama
17th April 2010, 04:41 PM

I, the Witness of Pre 70 yrs (1930's) to speak about...

--the peculiar Language Situation in Tamilnadu then!

--INCREDIBLE--- But Interesting

In the present generation, many are under Wrong impression of those days prior to 70 years.. in 1930's...

---when I was a School-boy, studying in Tamil-medium in the heart of Tamil speaking region.

You all must know that the Tamil region was a SMALL part of a Giant Province then--

---Called Madras Province / Presidency... comprising of multi-lingual Regions Andhra, Tamilnadu, Palghat, South Kanara. Bellary..

Rather it was an unweildy region with a large population of Five different Languages viz. Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Tulu

Eventually the Govt offices of Tamilnadu used to have Employees of all the four Languages.

But they could manage easily... because Tamil was nowhere there... nor any other Indian Language...

..but only English, English English only only everywhere.

The District Collector, District Supdt of Police, High court Judges-- invariably British officers only

So chances for Tamil or any other Indian Languages... very very remote.

Even in Govt meetings, where the Participants by Audience, Orators and Presiding officers were only Indians and mostly Tamilians...

..the Language used was only English.

...Not because of English Rulers.. but because of Linguistic Mix-up of different regional people.

...as also since the Common Official /Advanced Language for various Linguistic Spectrum was only English

And one interesting point...

In my just one section of a class in School, in the Heart of Tamilnadu, there were about 50 students.. out of which 30 students were Tamilians, and 20 were Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Hindi, Tulu speaking students.

So we were forced to converse in a Common Language Sanskrit mixed Tamil.

...since we all were just the School Students... not adequately educated in English..

We used to closely observe our friends the Non-Tamilians usage of Common words of Sanskrit

Besides the Wives of Non-Tamilian co-residents used to converse only Sanskrit-mixed Tamil... only, because of their practical limitation..

..which sort of expression had to be reciprocated and responded suiting to Reality.

Consequently the People were more at ease with Sanskrit mixed Tamil--- than the Chaste Tamil.

As we can see the Tamilian Employees of Marwari companies get transformed to Hindi-mixed Tamil with others too... even at Homes

There is No wonder in it for Hindus.. similar to the case of Muslims using abundant mix up of Arab words in their local language

Thus we got used to freely mix up such Sanskrit words abundantly with Chaste Tamil and converse... in MIXED TAMIL... INEVITABLY

There was no other go... during our School days...

... which practice expanded to our Tamilian homes too!

Even now a days, when I meet my old Friends from Andhra, Kerala, Karnataka Regions...

..we converse in such an abundant Sanskrit mixed Tamil... as a matter of convenience.

The situation changed during our College days--- where English alone took up the reign

But one peculiar Educational system then--- although the Text books used to be in the Vernacular Language.. Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam... according to the medium of study...

..the Common Technical Terms used to be ONLY of SANSKRIT.!.. transliterated in Tamil or Telugu or Kannasa as relevent

For example in my Science book in Tamil.. during my High School days...

I studied Nitric Acid as... BAGYAKA-AMILAM

Sulphuric Acid --- GANDHAKIKA-AMILAM

Hydrochloric Acid --- ABJA HARIDHAKIKA-AMILAM

In Mathematics...

Tenth -- DHASA-AMSAM

Hundredth - SATHA-AMSAM

Thousandth - SAHASRA-AMSAM

Ten Thousandth - DHASA-SAHASRA-AMSAM

What I find MORE FUNNY... Now-a-days... afer formation of Linguistic states-- is...

In the conversation Tamil... amongst Tamilians... the Sanskrit words mixed in erstwhile Tamil... have been replaced by English

Recently I saw one TV programme where all the Tamil medium School students were speaking in Tamil addressing only Tamilians all around as...

...Indha programme engalhukku romba useful thaan. because romba rare questions ellaam eeasiya handle pandrathukku teach pandraanga. of course yenga examukku lightaa study panninaalae high score marks thaan definite.

app_engine
17th April 2010, 06:32 PM
...Indha programme engalhukku romba useful thaan. because romba rare questions ellaam eeasiya handle pandrathukku teach pandraanga. of course yenga examukku lightaa study panninaalae high score marks thaan definite.

:lol: & :(

I'm not sure whether they speak that way all the time or made up for television show.

If that's the norm, then it's really sad.

Sudhaama
17th April 2010, 09:03 PM
I, the Witness of Pre 70 yrs (1930's) to speak about...

--the peculiar Language Situation in Tamilnadu then!

--INCREDIBLE--- But Interesting

In the present generation, many are under Wrong impression of those days prior to 70 years.. in 1930's...

---when I was a School-boy, studying in Tamil-medium in the heart of Tamil speaking region.

You all must know that the Tamil region was a SMALL part of a Giant Province then--

---Called Madras Province / Presidency... comprising of multi-lingual Regions Andhra, Tamilnadu, Palghat, South Kanara. Bellary..

Rather it was an unweildy region with a large population of Five different Languages viz. Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Tulu

Eventually the Govt offices of Tamilnadu used to have Employees of all the four Languages.

But they could manage easily... because Tamil was nowhere there... nor any other Indian Language...

..but only English, English English only only everywhere.

The District Collector, District Supdt of Police, High court Judges-- invariably British officers only

So chances for Tamil or any other Indian Languages... very very remote.

Even in Govt meetings, where the Participants by Audience, Orators and Presiding officers were only Indians and mostly Tamilians...

..the Language used was only English.

...Not because of English Rulers.. but because of Linguistic Mix-up of different regional people.

...as also since the Common Official /Advanced Language for various Linguistic Spectrum was only English

And one interesting point...

In my just one section of a class in School, in the Heart of Tamilnadu, there were about 50 students.. out of which 30 students were Tamilians, and 20 were Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Hindi, Tulu speaking students.

So we were forced to converse in a Common Language Sanskrit mixed Tamil.

...since we all were just the School Students... not adequately educated in English..

We used to closely observe our friends the Non-Tamilians usage of Common words of Sanskrit

Besides the Wives of Non-Tamilian co-residents used to converse only Sanskrit-mixed Tamil... only, because of their practical limitation..

..which sort of expression had to be reciprocated and responded suiting to Reality.

Consequently the People were more at ease with Sanskrit mixed Tamil--- than the Chaste Tamil.

As we can see the Tamilian Employees of Marwari companies get transformed to Hindi-mixed Tamil with others too... even at Homes

There is No wonder in it for Hindus.. similar to the case of Muslims using abundant mix up of Arab words in their local language

Thus we got used to freely mix up such Sanskrit words abundantly with Chaste Tamil and converse... in MIXED TAMIL... INEVITABLY

There was no other go... during our School days...

... which practice expanded to our Tamilian homes too!

Even now a days, when I meet my old Friends from Andhra, Kerala, Karnataka Regions...

..we converse in such an abundant Sanskrit mixed Tamil... as a matter of convenience.

The situation changed during our College days--- where English alone took up the reign

But one peculiar Educational system then--- although the Text books used to be in the Vernacular Language.. Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam... according to the medium of study...

..the Common Technical Terms used to be ONLY of SANSKRIT.!.. transliterated in Tamil or Telugu or Kannasa as relevent

For example in my Science book in Tamil.. during my High School days...

I studied Nitric Acid as... BAGYAKA-AMILAM

Sulphuric Acid --- GANDHAKIKA-AMILAM

Hydrochloric Acid --- ABJA HARIDHAKIKA-AMILAM

In Mathematics...

Tenth -- DHASA-AMSAM

Hundredth - SATHA-AMSAM

Thousandth - SAHASRA-AMSAM

Ten Thousandth - DHASA-SAHASRA-AMSAM

What I find MORE FUNNY... Now-a-days... afer formation of Linguistic states-- is...

In the conversation Tamil... amongst Tamilians... the Sanskrit words mixed in erstwhile Tamil... have been replaced by English

Recently I saw one TV programme where all the Tamil medium School students were speaking in Tamil addressing only Tamilians all around as...

Kannada, Malayalam, Telugu Languages are highly SANSKRIT MIXED Languages...

...quite contrary to Tamil.

So the Common words amongst the South Indian Languages are of only Sanskrit...

..even though Tamil is FAR AWAY from Sanskrit.... unlike other Indian Languages.

Eventually it reflects in Ground Reality.

For example...

..when any Tamilian converses with Rajnikanth, Vikram, Meena, SPB, P Susheela and such other Non Tamilians settled in Tamilnadu...

..if we talk in chaste Tamil... as we in the present days, discuss within our Family and Tamilian Public...

...those new settlers of Non Tamil Background... find it difficult to understand quickly...

..but feel at ease when we use Sanskrit-mixed Tamil...

..as they are conversant to speak with their Tamilian staff at Home.

Even though Rajnikanth's wife is a Tamilian lady... we can find the Tamil they speak at Home... is abundantly Sanskrit mixed Tamil...

Such was the situation all over Tamilnadu, prior to formation of Linguistic states.

There is One more Reason too... because of one or other sorts of Linguistic Fanaticism

Now a days.. it is considered as the sense of Pride and Prestige to mix English words with Indian Languages during conversation... even amongst the people of same Language... ENGLISH FANATICISM

If anybody speaks in Simple Tamil without admixture of English... he / she is looked down upon as ILLITERATE and Cheap... in the present days...

..ESPECIALLY AMONGST TAMILIANS.!...

..Not only in India... but abroad too.. including USA... Yes I am observing here.

Similar was the situation... in the case of Sanskrit mixture with all the Indian Languages..

... during British days in India

skanthan
17th April 2010, 09:05 PM
Indha programme engalhukku romba useful thaan. because romba rare questions ellaam eeasiya handle pandrathukku teach pandraanga. of course yenga examukku lightaa study panninaalae high score marks thaan definite.

Sudhaama,

It would be lovely if we could see the above sentence again with the Sanskrit words in place of the English words, which I have highlighted in bold. Please could you post that sentence again, this time with the Sanskrit words in place of the English words? Thank you.

skanthan
17th April 2010, 09:18 PM
Sudhaama,

பக்யாமிலம்
கந்தைகாமிலம்
அப்ஜஹரிதாகிகாமிலம்

தசா'ம்ஸம்
ச'தாம்ஸம்
ஸஹஸ்ராம்ஸம்
தச'ஸஹஸ்ராம்ஸம்

I can see that one of the reasons why some wanted to remove Sanskrit words from Tamil is because many found these difficult to pronounce. I remember someone from Sri Lanka telling me years ago that many of the then younger generations were complaining the the vadamozhi letters were hard to write down, the Sanskrit words were hard to pronounce etc.

Sudhaama
17th April 2010, 09:30 PM
Indha programme engalhukku romba useful thaan. because romba rare questions ellaam eeasiya handle pandrathukku teach pandraanga. of course yenga examukku lightaa study panninaalae high score marks thaan definite.

Sudhama,

It would be lovely if we could see the above sentence again with the Sanskrit words in place of the English words, which I have highlighted in bold. Please could you post that sentence again, this time with the Sanskrit words in place of the English words? Thank you.

Oh, So you are testing me.?... My dear SKANDA,

OK.. Here it follows

Indha Prayoga paddhathi engalhukku romba upayoakam thaan. kaaranham romba Apoorva prasnangalh ellaam sulabhamaa prayoachanam pandrathukku upadesam pandraanga. Nis-sandhaehama yenga Pareekshaikkukku laghuvaa prayathnam panninaalae apaaramaana Palam thaan Nischayam

skanthan
19th April 2010, 12:39 AM

Sudhama,

Oh, So you are testing me.?... My dear SKANDA,

OK.. Here it follows

Indha Prayoga paddhathi engalhukku romba upayoakam thaan. kaaranham romba Apoorva prasnangalh ellaam sulabhamaa prayoachanam pandrathukku upadesam pandraanga. Nis-sandhaehama yenga Pareekshaikkukku laghuvaa prayathnam panninaalae apaaramaana Palam thaan Nischayam

Thank you. :)

skanthan
19th April 2010, 06:42 AM
To the interested hubbers. Here is the above sentence again repeated in Tamil script.

இந்த ப்ரயோக பத்ததி எங்களுக்கு ரொம்ப உபயோகம் தான். காரணம் ரொம்ப அபூர்வ ப்ரச்'னங்கள் எல்லாம் ஸுலபமா ப்ரயோஜனம் பன்றதுக்கு உபதேச'ம் பன்றாங்க. நி:ஸந்தேஹம் எங்க பரிக்ஷைக்குக்கு லகுவா ப்ரயத்நம் பன்னினாலே அபாரமான பலம் தான் நிச்'சயம்.

app_engine
20th April 2010, 12:30 AM
Yesterday a Detroiter was having trouble understanding 'sunAyA' v/s 'suniyE' in Hindi (one is make others listen and the other is listen).

I've explained him the difference and identified a couple more of similar construct in Hindi. I wonder why they've chosen such similarly sounding words for complementary actions :-(

sunthA - सुनता - listen
sunAtha - सुनाता - make others listen (or, tell)

seekhtA - सीखता - learn
sikhAtA - सिखाता - make others learn (i.e. teach)

samajtA - समझता - understand
samjAtA - समझाता - make others understand (i.e. explain)

If someone is newly learning to read Hindi (with its many rules as to when to add "a" and when not etc), this can be really confusing!

venkkiram
23rd April 2010, 06:58 PM
Some funny sentences in English:

The farm was used to produce produce.

I did not object to the object.

The bandage was wound around the wound.

Boxing rings are square.

A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

They were too close to the door to close it.

When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

I was proven right that I had the right of way.

app_engine
9th November 2010, 01:51 AM
U.S. first lady's name is Michelle (தமிழில் : மிஷெல்).

See how the Thamizh news papers report her visit to India :

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=605670&disdate=11/8/2010

Michelle = மிச்செலி
:lol:

ஒபாமா, மிச்செலி இருவருமே, "மீ ஹாய் கோலி" என்ற பாடலுக்கு ஏற்றவாறு குழந்தைகளுடன் நடனமாடினார்கள்

app_engine
9th November 2010, 08:04 AM
Small improvement in dinathanthi today :-)

Now Michelle = மிச்செல் (அப்படியாக அவுங்க "எலி" இல்லைன்னுட்டாங்க)

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=605877&disdate=11/9/2010

Querida
10th November 2010, 12:05 AM
A Poem that I often share with students when they inquire about the differences in English Prounciation...I often find that new learners of English say the words as they are spelled...and are taken aback when they are told the word is pronounced quite differently:

"I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you
On hiccough, thorough, slough, and through.
Well don't! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps.
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard but sounds like bird.
And dead: it's said like bed, not bead,
For goodness sake don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth as in mother
Nor both as in bother, nor broth as in brother,
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear, for bear and pear.
And then there's dose and rose and lose--
Just look them up--and goose and choose
And cork and work and card and ward
And font and front and word and sword
And do and go, then thwart and cart,
Come, come! I've hardly made a start.
A dreadful Language? Why man alive!
I learned to talk it when I was five.