PDA

View Full Version : Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

jaiganes
9th August 2011, 02:35 AM
theme music sample bit rocks big time. chinese flute brings back the memories of that awesome chinese flute BGM from Captain Prabhakaran..

Sunil_M88
9th August 2011, 02:38 AM
Full songs - I got the album and uploaded it. Will post my views later

http://www.mediafire.com/?znb9x15li2sa6lb

Sunil_M88
9th August 2011, 04:03 AM
My thoughts on Thandavakone. p.s. I’m writing as I’m listening.

IRs rustic voice is the divine spine of Kaattu Vazhi. He reaps Goosebumps on the listener with his devoted singing in praise of god. The hot air flute in the prelude just initiates the chilling and mysterious ambiance of the song. The synth quotient is only left to the chorus portion where it backs the Shambo Shiva line which is also supported with a pakhawaj. The instrumentation sounds contrasting at first as IR uses Middle Eastern sounding plucker but this is subtly used throughout the song. However, it does gain priority in the second interlude which is my favourite part, I don’t know whether the instrument is a midi flute or midi violin but the surreal feel of the song escalates soulfully.

I have already mentioned Kula Deivam impressing me straight away, this maybe because I haven’t heard something like this from IR sir before. IRs arrangement is so fresh and urban yet so traditional. I can’t remember the last time my feet automatically started tapping away. The percussion gives that party feel and even if you can’t dance there’s always that someone that tempts and drags you into doing it and all hell breaks loose. The X factor of this song is the variation in the beat, which hands down dominates the song.

So far the two songs are really contrasting so much so you wouldn’t even think there from the same album or furthermore same composer. Aanukkulley, supports this, it’s a romantic duet and has to be Raaja’s best number this year. Priya’s singing is so radiant here and Haricharan is nothing short. Need to give this more listens. It’s a very complex number and I find difficult expressing it.

I didn’t know about this album until couple of days ago so didn’t really expect much out of it and here I am going with the flow of songs but the last two songs have left me in a daze which I’m trying to recover from. I don’t feel like writing about the rest of the songs as I’m currently occupied with the former two (blasting Kula Deivam).

I haven’t reached half way and there are three more songs and two instrumentals to go so I’ll carrying on with my thoughts. Enna Pol begins with flanging voices which halt and a complex beat drops. I have to take back my words about Aankkulley as this song is equally as impressive and also has a chance of being the IRs best number this year.

Sorry but I’m going to go in hibernation. I want to finish listening to the album before I carry on with my review. I might not carry on but for now I’ll be enjoying Kula Deivam, Annukalley and Enna Pol and see what the rest of the album has to offer Looking forward to the instrumentals.

Hope Milliblog doesn’t give this album a stingy review and at least give it a minimum of 300 words. :)

Sunil_M88
9th August 2011, 04:04 AM
p.s. I haven't felt like this since Nandhalala. :bow: Raaja will always be Ilaiyaraaja even when he's a hundred.

Hulkster
9th August 2011, 08:49 AM
Thandavakkone Songs : Raaga (http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/album/T0003118.html)

Three words : Thalaivar never ages :D

baroque
9th August 2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=308614&mode=100&rand=0.5322092242229634

தொப்புள் கொடி புடிச்சு தொத்தி வந்த இப்பிறப்பு.....

reminds ..ராகம் நடனமாக்ரிய
உழன்று திரிந்த என்னை உத்தமனாக்கி வைத்தாய் உயரிய பெரியோருடன் ....

Sureshs65
9th August 2011, 11:10 AM
Vinatha,

Sounds more line Punnagavarali. Am unable to come out of this song!! Very different from what Raja has done till now. The ambient atmosphere he creates is amazing. The next para sounds like Nadhanamakriya. Song in loop now. As Hulk said, Raja doesn't age.

Sureshs65
9th August 2011, 12:22 PM
Nice writeup Sunil and thanks for the link. Been listening to it since morning. All work gone for a toss. Lovely album. A few more listens and I will write my thought.

Sureshs65
9th August 2011, 12:25 PM
p.s. I haven't felt like this since Nandhalala. :bow: Raaja will always be Ilaiyaraaja even when he's a hundred.

Well said. He is indeed 'ilaiya' Raja.

Sunil_M88
9th August 2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks Suresh ji.

wrt interludes, I usually find the second interludes being better than the first in IR songs but in Enna pol the first interlude and charanam are roaring with delightful visionary. Although, both interludes do have the same flute bit which is highly naturistic.

Fliflo
9th August 2011, 08:15 PM
http://www.nakkheeran.in/Users/frmGalleryList.aspx?GV=768&GSS=4

thandavakone cd release album

rajasaranam
9th August 2011, 08:15 PM
Well Iam happy that Raaja's section of forumhub is in safe hands with suresh & sunil doing a great job :D. i find sunil as passionate Iam (was?!!) in sharing Raaja's music here... thanks for that quick upload. Iam yet to decipher what Raaja is doing in this album. Given a single listen to all songs in one go... Iam in for a treat greater than Ponnar Shankar is what I feel.... 'Neeral Udal Kazhuvi's soundscape is something Experts will be dissecting in the coming days for sure! What a song!

irir123
9th August 2011, 08:16 PM
Full songs - I got the album and uploaded it. Will post my views later

http://www.mediafire.com/?znb9x15li2sa6lb

hi - a humble but firm request: will you please desist from uploading songs from recent albums ? that setting a very very bad example / precedent and am sure neither the Maestro, nor Agi Music nor the producers of the film would welcome stuff such as this

may i request you to kindly delete the uploaded songs and encourage ppl to buy their own stuff ?

no wonder IR is not interested in doing innovative projects, when ppl liberally download his songs without paying a cent/paisa !

Hulkster
9th August 2011, 08:16 PM
Vinatha,

Sounds more line Punnagavarali. Am unable to come out of this song!! Very different from what Raja has done till now. The ambient atmosphere he creates is amazing. The next para sounds like Nadhanamakriya. Song in loop now. As Hulk said, Raja doesn't age.

That song is certainly something i have never heard thalaivar do so far. Its like a devotional song orchestrated with the song's background telling tales of a human life through pain and truth. The cymbals and that bagpipe like instrument(anyone knows what it is?) really add to the atmosphere. Its pretty similar to GVP's effort in Aayirathil Oruvan with the PB Srinivas song except thalaivar totally brings philosophical darkness to a whole new level with his orchestration

app_engine
9th August 2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.nakkheeran.in/Users/frmGalleryList.aspx?GV=768&GSS=4

thandavakone cd release album

ராசா கைல மைக்கு கொடுத்துருக்காங்களே :roll: ...ஏடா கூடமா எதுவும் நடக்காத வரை பாக்கியம்...:-)

Sunil_M88
9th August 2011, 08:32 PM
Amazon has started selling the CD but only in Pounds. The CD will end up costing more than six pounds!! Will wait for the CD to be released here!!

hi - a humble but firm request: will you please desist from uploading songs from recent albums ? that setting a very very bad example / precedent and am sure neither the Maestro, nor Agi Music nor the producers of the film would welcome stuff such as this

may i request you to kindly delete the uploaded songs and encourage ppl to buy their own stuff ?

no wonder IR is not interested in doing innovative projects, when ppl liberally download his songs without paying a cent/paisa !

Hi, I purchased the album from Amazon yesterday as it was available here in the UK and I quote suresh ji on that. I decided to upload for the unfortunate lot who live in the area where the album hasn't been released. I'm not promoting some dodgy pirate site. BTW follow hulkster's raaga link as my link is disabled now.

irir123
9th August 2011, 08:59 PM
Hi, I purchased the album from Amazon yesterday as it was available here in the UK and I quote suresh ji on that. I decided to upload for the unfortunate lot who live in the area where the album hasn't been released. I'm not promoting some dodgy pirate site. BTW follow hulkster's raaga link as my link is disabled now.

hi - my sincere apologies if you misunderstood my posting - it was only a request and not meant to be critical of you! i can understand the situation with IR's earlier albums, but this one i thought was available even on CD Baby.com - hence the request

Sureshs65: mannitthuvidungal ennai! i didnt see your earlier request / posting!

Sureshs65
9th August 2011, 09:13 PM
My review of 'Thandavakone':

1. 'kaatu vazhi': The album kicks off with this philosophical song. The rhythm is lilting and as Sunil mentioned a far east instrument like Mandolin opens the prelude. Raja's voice fits these type of songs to a 'T'. The first interlude has mandolin talking to the synth which plays like a sax. The charanam goes the Raja way, increasing its melodic content. I love the 'sambo siva siva' chant. My friend Kamesh commented this was not like 'appan endrum'. It definitely isn't. It is the song of a person who has come to accept life.

2. 'kuladeiva kovilukku': An energetic duet. Typically what Raja used to reserve for Swarnalatha. To be fair Priya does a nice job here. When Raja is using the thavil there never will be any dearth of energy. Here too the thavil maintains the energy throughout. The sudden beat change during the charanam is a pleasant surprise. This is a song which will appeal to people immediately. Amazing energy. Not sure if they will match this energy on the screen.

3. 'aanukkula latchanangal': This is probably the mandatory love duet. Priya and Haricharan do a nice job. The pallavi is very melodious and as usual it twists and turns before getting back to the start. The first interlude has the synth playing sax and flute. The charanam starts very melodiously. And my pet theory: the sweetness keeps increasing till the final twist happens. Raja doesn't loop to the pallavi but instead gets to the second interlude. The most melodious song of the album without doubt.

4. 'enna pol': A song which shows me again why I keep falling at his feet. What a conception. Let me explain why I am saying this for this particular song. This song is sung by a person who seems to be regretting his past deeds. Now if you don't like your past, you pass through multiple emotions, chief among them being regret and then anger. The charanam starts of with regret, the pace, the uncertain rhythm, mapping to the regret of the singer. Then this regret leads to self hatred and the tune becomes powerful and finally the energy drains and the normalcy returns. I can't think of a song which captures so many emotions in one charanam. Raja could have easily made this into a standard regret song. But he thinks beyond it and gives this song. His work ethic is impeccable. Sriram Parthasarathy does a nice job in conveying the required emotions.

5. 'neeral udal kazhuvi': Just when I thought 'ennai pol' was amazing creativity comes this song. It is as if Raja wanted to do 'umbarkkat arase' again but not with the symphonic backing but with modern backing. The instrument is not something like we have heard from Raja earlier. He lets Manika Vinayagam sing the thogayara. (BTW this is not a song. Just recital of verses.) And then around him Raja paints an impressionistic landscape. A mandolin strum there, a few taps on the drums here, synth playing like a shenai, a constant drone accompanying the song. You not sure what sound will emerge the next second. If there is one amazing fusion, not the fusing we know of Raja but of a different variety, this is the one. I personally feel Manika Vinayagam was probably never tested this much and he passes the exam. The words are in pure Tamizh and it adds to the charm. A highly philosophical song.

'unna pol': The tune is same as 'enna pol', though the lyrics and orchestration are different. The orchestration in the first interlude is vintage Raja with the violins. This song is sung by Tippu.

Now for my overall opinion. I feel this is Raja's best since 'Naan Kadavul' as far as the mapping of the story to music is concerned. Even without seeing the movie you will know exactly what happens in the movie. A sense of darkness, a philosophical outlook pervades throughout. The lyrics also accentuate this. The music itself tells the story. As Plum would say Raja brings forth his narrative integrity.

Coming to other aspects, the recording quality is very good, no unnecessary synth effects, excellent orchestration, good singing by all involved and nice lyrics. It is very clear Raja has tried out new things in this album. In that sense and due to the way it hugs to the story, I would say this is a better album than 'Ponnar Shankar'.

I am not sure how the general public would receive it. A lot may depend on the fate of the film. But I have my own doubts whether for a generation which considers 'ennamo edho' as a great achievement would have the patience to decipher what Raja has tried to do here. No need to worry. Eventually great music will triumph and my respect for Raja has grown even more after hearing this soundtrack.

rajasaranam
9th August 2011, 09:15 PM
irir,
though the album 'Sengaathubhoomiyile' was released under agimusic label the CD's are not yet available in the market. I bought some CD's through personal contacts and sent it to few friends. There is definitely some goof up happening in marketing of Raaja albums for sure. I dont know how many more days we have to wait for the CD's of 'thandavakone'! given the scenario I appreciate the help rendered by Sunil :-)

rajasaranam
9th August 2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.koodal.com/tamil/movies/hotnews/7213/thandavakone-with-isaignani-ilayaraja-s-mesmerising-music (தாண்டவக்கோனே)

நீரால் உடல் கழுவி நித்த நித மூவேளை சோறால் குடல் கழுவும்... ஏதோ பட்டினத்தார் எழுதிய பாடல் போல தோன்றும் இப்பாடலை இசைஞானி இளையராஜாதான் எழுதியிருக்கிறார். பாடல் இடம் பெற்ற படம் 'தாண்டவக்கோனே'! இந்த ஒரு பாடலை பார்க்கும் பாக்கியம் நமக்கும் கிடைத்தது. 'பாக்கியம்' என்றெல்லாம் பெரிய வார்த்தையை உபயோகிப்பதிலிருந்தே புரிந்துகொள்ளலாம், பாடல் எப்படியிருக்கும் என்று! படத்தில் இடம் பெறும் எல்லா பாடல்களையும் படமாக்கிய பின்பே எழுதி இசையமைத்திருக்கிறார் இளையராஜா. பொதுவாகவே அம்மா சென்ட்டிமென்ட் என்றால் கரைந்து விடுவார் இளையராஜா. இதில் சிவனை வணங்கும் அம்மாவின் மரணம் வேறு. மனசில் விழுந்து அழுகையும் ராகமுமாக கரைந்திருக்கிறார் இசைஞானி. சீமானிடம் உதவி இயக்குநராக இருந்த சுப்பு சுஜாதா இயக்கியிருக்கும் இப்படம், தமிழ் சினிமாவில் மிக முக்கியமான படமாக இருக்கக்கூடும். சிவன் கோவில் வாசலே கதி என்று கிடக்கும் அம்மா, தன் மகனுக்கு சொல்லும் அறிவுரைகள் எல்லாமே அவனால் புறக்கணிக்கப்படுகிறது. அம்மா இறந்தபின் அவள் சொன்ன எல்லாமே அவனுக்கு புரிய வருகிறது. அதற்கப்புறம் அவன் என்ன செய்தான் என்பதை 'பாலாவின் டச்'சோடு சொல்லியிருக்கிறார் சுப்பு சுஜாதா. 'கோன்' என்றால் சிவன், 'தாண்டவம்' என்றால் ஆட்டம். சிவனின் ஆட்டத்தைதான் இப்படி தலைப்பாக வைத்திருக்கிறார் சுப்பு சுஜாதா. அதற்காக இது பட்டையை கிளப்பும் பக்தி படம் என்று கருதிவிட வேண்டாம். அருமையான காதல், அற்புதமான சென்ட்டிமென்ட், அதிர வைக்கும் ஸ்டண்ட் என்று எல்லா ஏரியாவையும் டச் பண்ணியிருக்கு என்கிறார் சுப்பு சுஜாதா. சஞ்சய், நந்தகி இருவரும் ஜோடியாக நடித்திருக்கிறார்கள். சுளையாக சம்பளம் தந்து கொண்டிருந்த வங்கி வேலையை விட்டு விட்டு, கலைக்காக சினிமாவுக்கு வந்திருக்கிறார் சுப்பு சுஜாதா. சினிமா மீது தீராத காதலோடு ஃபிளைட் ஏறியிருக்கிறார் இப்படத்தின் தயாரிப்பாளரும் துபாய் தொழிலதிபருமான பிரபாகர் சீனிவாசகம். இவர்களின் வருகை ரசிகர்களை 'ஆனந்த தாண்டவமாட' வைக்கும் என்பதில் சந்தேகமில்லை. மனச கரச்சிடுவீங்களே.......

Sureshs65
9th August 2011, 09:21 PM
irir123,

As Sunil said, he is not to be blamed. I had put in the request. Sorry about that. I personally buy every album of Raja and try and buy it for others as well, whenever possible. The main problem here is that you are so anxious to listen to Raja songs but even after the release function they are no available. Similarly they should have download links where the cost of download equals that of the CD. Unfortunately that is not happening. Anyway my apologies to Sunil, who did it on my request.

I too am now listening to the raaga.com links. Let me categorically state that I will buy every Raja CD. Provided it is available!!

baroque
9th August 2011, 10:04 PM
mmm.... thanks suresh.

It is punnaga, nadanamakriya ragamalika.

I didn't note the lyrics on my first listen yesterday evening. I will note this evening.

I checked out 2 songs, the Manika Vinayagam composition.... kind of reminded me Sri Chakraraja..... kriti's charanams, which is punnaga, nadanamakriya and sindhu bhairavi ragamalika.

Kaattu Vazhi..... composition appealed to my senses:musicsmile:

Sunil_M88
9th August 2011, 10:18 PM
irir123,

As Sunil said, he is not to be blamed. I had put in the request. Sorry about that. I personally buy every album of Raja and try and buy it for others as well, whenever possible. The main problem here is that you are so anxious to listen to Raja songs but even after the release function they are no available. Similarly they should have download links where the cost of download equals that of the CD. Unfortunately that is not happening. Anyway my apologies to Sunil, who did it on my request.

I too am now listening to the raaga.com links. Let me categorically state that I will buy every Raja CD. Provided it is available!!

Dear suresh ji

I have taken nil offense suresh ji and didn't mean to quote you out of context. I just quoted you to aware Irir that I haven't got the links from some random mp3 site. You do not need to apologies as all you did was mention that album can be purchased in the uk and theres nothing wrong with that as you didn't post pirate download links.

Sunil_M88
9th August 2011, 10:41 PM
Suresh ji, thanks for the review.

The current generation might not digest all the songs but Aankulley definitely deserves to be heard once. One of the best duets in recent times. For me this is a complete album. It has some thing for everyone. I could feel a Bhangra vibe from Kula deivam, reminded me of the material that was churned out by uk based punjabi bands that I grew up listening to in the 90s. :happydance: The dhol, urumi, thavil, tabla, dholak and mridhangam all in one. Definitely the best gift from Raaja this year. :clap: The sped up climax of this song left me speechless.

V_S
10th August 2011, 12:12 AM
I am jealous of you guys. Last night I got it from iTunes, but could not listen to it.
Wonderful and detail reviews Sureshji and Sunil. Will listen to it tonight with your write-ups in front.

rajkumarc
10th August 2011, 01:54 AM
Great to see all the reviews. Sunil, Suresh :bow: for your posts. Same as V_S, will have to listen to it tonight along with reading the reviews.

Fliflo
10th August 2011, 06:19 AM
Thandavakone Release Video
http://www.videos.behindwoods.com/videos-q1-09/actor-actress-events/aug-11-02/thandavakone-illayaraja-09-08-11.html

rajkumarc
10th August 2011, 11:35 AM
Listening to Thandavakone songs. The tune of Unnai Pol sung by Tippu and Ennai Pol sung by Sriram Parthasarathy is same as the one IR sung during Kamal's 50 yr function. Very happy that it got shape as a full song. Both Sriram and Tippu's renditions are very good and will make this a memorable song for sure. This album will be on the loop for a while. It's a very interesting and engaging album from IR.

chash
10th August 2011, 04:33 PM
Though songs sound good, but the orchestration is something which is missing.I would better stick on to 70's & 80's Compositions. Wish maestro goes back to the same acoustic orchestration.

Sureshs65
10th August 2011, 05:03 PM
chash,

That's been the major problem. Raja has changed but lot of his fans refuse to. You could never have got the effect he got on 'neeral udal kazhuvi' with acoustic instruments. Infact the synth usage in this album is very subtle and very effective.

baroque
10th August 2011, 08:47 PM
Though songs sound good, but the orchestration is something which is missing.I would better stick on to 70's & 80's Compositions. Wish maestro goes back to the same acoustic orchestration.

yeah.... checked out the songs at Raaga.com
then
பருவமே புதிய பாடல் பாடுன்னு.....I returned back to 80s ராஜா yesterday evening ....heavenly கிடார் , ப்ளுட், வயோலின் orchestration , smooth singing by பாலா and ஜானு .:musicsmile:

maybe someone should request Shri.Ilayaraja to do a unplugged album.
That would be fantastic.

ஒரே நாள் உன்னை நான் நிலாவில் பார்த்தது...,Chandni raat mein, ek baar tujhe dekhaa hai .....:musicsmile: gone back lovely beautiful, ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா!

Please fulfill our wishes,Ilayaraja!

Vinatha.

Sureshs65
10th August 2011, 10:14 PM
While I do love his 80s songs as any other Raja fan, I can confidently say that I will give away a few of the top 80s song for a couple of songs in 'Thandavakone'.

I am amazed by 'neeraal udal kazhuvi'. When I first heard it, it did not sound like a Raja song. The orchestration was so very different, seemingly random that I was wondering where was the 'Raja touch'. I listened to it multiple times and slowly the reassuring hand of Raja emerged in the song. While the orchestration at one level seems random, it very tightly controlled and the whole orchestration creates a different mood altogether. Then the reciting of the poem itself. There you can clearly see Raja's hold. The way he has structured the tune, not letting any emotion go overboard, the way a tight leash is kept on the singer, the way he touches Punnaagavarali but never gets fully into the carnatic mode. Fantastic Raja.

People may wonder as to why I am so enamored with this song. I see this as something new and also something very difficult to achieve. The merger of say violins and flute for this would have been natural. But to come out with a new age synth based orchestration is quite challenging. I mean, for many such poems I have heard other music directors use synth based backing, but someone I never felt they gelled well. In this case it makes perfect sense. To give an analogy, it is like asking Raja Ravi Varma to paint a beautiful maiden and then asking Picasso or M F Hussain to do the background. You can imagine how that would. If you do that and yet make the picture seem as a single whole, then you would have achieved what Raja has achieved in this song.

To me, after a few more listening today, this is the standout album of this year.

app_engine
10th August 2011, 11:17 PM
To give an analogy, it is like asking Raja Ravi Varma to paint a beautiful maiden and then asking Picasso or M F Hussain to do the background. You can imagine how that would. If you do that and yet make the picture seem as a single whole, then you would have achieved what Raja has achieved in this song.

What an interesting description!

You've stirred strong interest in me to listen to this song / album!

V_S
10th August 2011, 11:36 PM
What an interesting description!

You've stirred strong interest in me to listen to this song / album!
+1, yes fantastic description Suresh ji! I am still waiting for a separate/special moment to relish this soundtrack.

MumbaiRamki
11th August 2011, 12:03 AM
+1, yes fantastic description Suresh ji! I am still waiting for a separate/special moment to relish this soundtrack.
+2 -> This song neeral udal is superb . It justs has that feeling of listening to the devaram /thiruvasagam by odhuvaar in old big temples

rajkumarc
11th August 2011, 01:52 AM
+3 on Neeral Udal Kazhuvi :smile: and so wonderfully put forth by Suresh. This is a such an arresting song that you cannot get distracted from. The orchestration and the rendition create a very surreal ambiance. I haven't listened to anything like this before, IR :notworthy:

Nerd
11th August 2011, 06:59 AM
Not sure if already posted. Promo of SPB/ShreyaG song for RamaRajyam. What a combo :bow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCV7mERTTQ

MumbaiRamki
11th August 2011, 07:37 AM
+3 on Neeral Udal Kazhuvi :smile: and so wonderfully put forth by Suresh. This is a such an arresting song that you cannot get distracted from. The orchestration and the rendition create a very surreal ambiance. I haven't listened to anything like this before, IR :notworthy:

Manicka vinayakam - IR : is this is the first ? He has done a rocking job !

AravindMano
11th August 2011, 07:41 AM
SPB - Shreya G - full song from Rama Rajyam - Very Very Poor Quality. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pSELSS3zA0&feature=related)

V_S
11th August 2011, 07:51 AM
Kaattu Vazhi Thumbam Illai - Penetrates everywhere right from the word start. A perfect song for meditation and also need to listen in a dark room at night. A song like this 5 times every day is equivalent to mediate for 30 minutes. As we start listening and meditate, the prelude flute already takes us to the dark forest at night, as if we are walking in fear and trance with no visibility. Lyrics and singing follows it exactly for us to hear and walk towards where we hear it. After hearing 'kaattu vazhi thunbam illai kallum mullum thollai illai' we get some confidence and after this line 'sumaigalellaam sumaiye illai kaala dhooram bayame illai' we get more and more confidence and once we hear the name of God 'Shambo shiva shiva shiva sada shiva shiva' all fear leaves us and we walk towards him, as we start seeing the light. Such a wonderful beautiful haunting song after long time.

Unlike other melodies, this song and tune has not much variations, but how come it still etches and makes a deep impact right and makes us surrender right from the first listen. It's all because Raja is singing it with powerful lyrics, that too a song in the name of God, Shambo shiva shiva shiva sada shiva shiva… Yes as Sunil said, the middle-eastern (feel with mandolin?) is there. I feel it's because Maestro want to differentiate it from totally devotional feel and since it's also for a film. The low flute and haunting synth arrangements takes our breath away. Even though they seem very simple and straight forward, these arrangements support the tune excellently and pierces the song to provide the serenity just the Shambo shiva shiva chants provides the light.

Haunting low flute with mandolin in the first interlude takes us to meditation. Second interlude seems to me a string instrument rather than flute with mandolin. 40 seconds of pure divinity. No one would have ever imagined getting this divine feel with synth as Maestro does. I just can't stop listening to the interludes. Everytime I listen my eyes become more wet.

Another 'Pitchai paathiram yendhi vanthen ayyane en ayyane'. I hate to compare both these masterpieces, but unable to resist as i think both belong to same genre, genre of God, Lord Shiva. If Pitchai paathiram is rich in orchestration, Maestro keeps the orchestration simple, but haunting. Tunewise, again the variation in former especially the connecting last line from charanam to pallavi gives the depth, here Maestro chants Shambo siva siva to connect to pallavi with serenity. Singing wise, Raja takes honor here slightly better than Madhu, given his experience and his affinity towards singing these type of songs. So it's a tie for me. Still I prefer Raja's singing, so more rewinds for this one.

Stuck in the first song. Can't think of listening to any other song from this soundtrack for few days. It will take a big round to come back to next song. I believe this song is enough for me in Thandavakone. Five minutes of pure bliss. :notworthy:

V_S
11th August 2011, 07:55 AM
Lyrics, very powerful and so very philosophical. Who wrote? I certainly feel it should be Maestro himself.

kaattu vazhi thunbam illai kallum muLLum thollai illai
sumaigalellaam sumaiye illai kaala dhooram bayame illai
Porappu enum noyinile porappeduthom dhegathile
athuthaan perum thuyaramaiyya
Shambo shiva shiva shiva sada shiva shiva

thaayaarin madiyil kudi pugunthu thannai kattum kattodintha tharai vizhunthu
pogindra pozhuthil dhinam valarnthu poyyaana porulil ellaam pOi vizhunthu
aadaatha aattamellaam aadi maghiznthom oo..oo..oo.o.ooo
arithaaram kalaintha pinne alari nindrom
ivvudalaattam bommaiyin aattam aattitdum kayirugal unnidame

kaattu vazhi thunbam illai kallum muLLum thollai illai (chorus)

malaikkoyil deepangaL oLI kaatum malaikkaamal vaa vaa endru vazhi kaattum
tholai dhooram nadanthaalum kaLaippaatrum alaigindra vaazhkai athan nilai maatrum
sivan ennum jeevan uLLam siru koyil aa..aa.aa.a.aaa
athuthaane sivapurathin thiru vaayil
evanavan enna sivanavan naamam sila kanam sollida sivapathame

kaattu vazhi thunbam illai kallum muLLum thollai illai (chorus)
athuthaan perum thuyaramaiyya

venkkiram
11th August 2011, 08:32 AM
நீரால் உடல் கழுவி - அப்படியே மனசை கழுவித் துடைக்கிறது. வழக்கமான பல்லவி,சரணம், சரணம் என்ற சட்டகத்தை விட்டு அவ்வப்போது இதுபோல ராஜா வெளிவரவேண்டும். என்னே ஒரு கட்டமைப்பு! குரல் தேர்வு, வரிகள், பின்னணி இசை எல்லாமே ஒரே புள்ளியில் குவிந்திருக்கிறது. பிரமாதம். பேரானந்தம். சுகானுபவம்.

மா.விநாயகம் - காலம் தாழ்ந்து ராஜாவின் இசையில் பாடியிருக்கிறார். அந்த வெற்றிடத்தையெல்லாம் "நீரால் உடல் கழுவி" ஆட்கொள்கிறது. இனி வரும் படங்களிலும் இவரை தொடர்ந்து ராஜா பயன்படுத்தணும்.

தொப்புள் கொடி புடிச்சி
தொத்தி வந்த இப்பிறப்பு
எப்ப தொடக்கியதோ?
எப்போ தடங்கிடுமோ!
செப்பவே யாரிருக்கா
செப்பனிட பாதையிலே
செப்பாமே போகுதே தப்பு

Sureshs65
11th August 2011, 10:13 AM
V_S,

Lovely description of 'kaatu vazhi song'. Yesterday evening I put on my headphones and it was repeat of 'kaatu vazhi' and 'neeraal udal kazhuvi'. As you wonderfully put it, there is a lot of serenity in the 'kaatu vazhi' song and when he comes to the 'sambho siva siva' he takes the song to a different level. Wonderful album.

Sureshs65
11th August 2011, 10:14 AM
Venki,

Well put. I too love that particular part of the song. Are these paragraphs all 'venbaa's? Someone who know Tamil poetry well can clarify.

Sureshs65
11th August 2011, 10:22 AM
Venky,

A request to you (as well as to others). While Manicka Vinayakam sings very well, in some places his voice lacks clarity and I am unable to make out some words. Can you please post the lyrics in Tamil for all the four stanzas. That would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Plum
11th August 2011, 10:23 AM
Not sure if already posted. Promo of SPB/ShreyaG song for RamaRajyam. What a combo :bow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCV7mERTTQ

Brilliant! What a beety! Full expectations Turned On for this album. varuga varuga seekkram varuga

Sunil_M88
11th August 2011, 03:17 PM
WOW VS, you really are impressed with Kaattu Vazhi. Very passionate writing :thumbsup: I wonder what will happen when you listen to the rest of the songs. If you haven't come out of the zone of the one song, Kaattu Vazhi then believe me you will be stuck in this album for a lifetime. Looking forward to your thoughts on the rest of the album

Venkkiram - Well said - Neeral udal karuvi is a dream which when you wake up from your body/mind is cleansed. The ambient synth pads are apt and live orchestration wouldn't of delivered this feel. The whole album should've been called "நீரால் உடல் கழுவி " I played this album to my brother who isn't an ardent follower of Tamil music but I seen him humming to aanukulley and bouncing to kula deivam.

For me the clear winner is Enna pol :musicsmile: :bow:

Raaja's album of the year so far simply because of it's diversity, where you have neeral udal kazhuvi you equally have the contrasting aanukulley and in this song's second interlude IR jumps ahead of the current generation and brings a new sound and illustrates the fire of composing inside him which is a force to be reckoned with.

Sureshs65
11th August 2011, 06:32 PM
<ed>.. illustrates the fire of composing inside him which is a force not to be reckoned with.

I guess you meant 'to be reckoned with' and not 'not to be reckoned with'.

Nice observation Sunil. As you rightly said the album could be called 'neeral udal kazhuvi'. And yes, a lot of diversity in this album.

Sunil_M88
11th August 2011, 07:42 PM
oops.. :oops:

baroque
11th August 2011, 09:25 PM
That's beautiful, V_S.

Indeed KAATTU VAZHI......is hypnotic.

improvisations of Raja, Charanams melody :musicsmile:

The very first post on this album-song by Sunil is very nice.
It made me go to Raaga.com immediately.

Thanks, Suil, Suresh and V_S

Sunil_M88
11th August 2011, 10:19 PM
Kaatu vazhi seems like the perfect anthem for renunciation of material life; the ominous orchestration and Raja’s vocals too back this beautifully. Tippu’s deeply repentant Unna pol and Sriram Parthasarathy’s personally remorseful Enna pol both hold the same tune in fascinatingly different shades. Aanukkulla latchanangal seems tame in comparison; standard Raja melody, but the way Haricharan enters is a nice touch. Manicka Vinayagam recites Raja’s philosophical verses amidst mesmerizing orchestration in Neeral udal kazhuvi, while Kula deivam is the odd one out, refurbished from 1990. Thandavakkone seems reflective of Ilayaraja’s state of mind and hence makes for an engrossing listen.

source:milliblog

V_S
12th August 2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks Sureshji, Sunil and Vinatha.

I still could not understand what Karthik (milliblog) expects from Raja to give more than 200. :smile: The last one he gave was for Azhagar malai which was a surprise. I don't think it was that great, compared to masterpieces like Paa, Pazhassi raja, Ponnar shankar, Bhagyadevatha or Nandhalala. Unlike you Sunil, I never expected he would give more than 100 for this soundtrack having seen his history. I can tell now what kind of music Sunil likes. :smile: But still could not decipher what he likes. Atleast as a Raja fan or a listener who exposed to Raja, one would atleast like the above listed ones without doubt. Anyway it's his opinion, I respect that.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th August 2011, 05:48 AM
I am seeing a pattern in recent times. Somehow, Madurai/Rural themes have become a permanent stay in TFI. Countless films keep on coming non stop. Movies like Virumaandi/Paruthiveeran/Subramanyaburam etc started fueling it. As u can see all 3 movies has Raja touch! While virumaandi had him directly other two and countless movies used his bgm as is and his influence/pattern. Added to that, most of the new directors generally come from villages who are heavy influenced by Rural Raja music of 80s and so on. As they started using his BGM, some of them slowly went directly to him. Nandalala, Azagarsami, Thandavakone are results of this. There are unsuccessful attempts lile Ahagar Malai etc too. No wonder most of these directors are putting Raja's Music in high pedestal, while talking abt the film. Some of the directore like suka of Sengaathu boomiyile are also music knowledgeable persons, so the expectations are high for new reasons! There IS a business for Raja's rural music.

As an odd, raja gave ultimate songs for Ponnas sankar for which, i didnt see the team talking high about music(which is the ONLY good thing in the film)

In kerala, Raja is being asked to compose for period films like Viswa thulasi and Pazhassi raja. From telugu industry there is mythology/spiritual film Rama Rajyam. few months before there was a film gaayam which had good songs. Some time before, Raja did a Kannada movie which was not rual i think, kind of urban gangster film. He gave modern music...

There are hindi ventures then and there, mainly from Ram gopal varma and there is a new film waiting, which is not from these directors!

After long time, a Marathi film is in for Sir's composition.

One thing is, wherever he goes, there is umpteen respect for the talent, aura and pristine which surrounds Raja. Everyone are elated for having his compositions. Happy tears all over... :D Its high time someone like suresh make a list of all his works for the past 5 years....

So what does I try to imply by saying all this?!? Nothing specific, அதிகாலை 5 மணிக்கு எழுந்துவிட்டேன், ஏதோ தோணுச்சி எழுதிட்டேன் :yessir:

(kindly correct factual errors!)

Hulkster
12th August 2011, 06:05 AM
BTW, is neeral udal kazhuvi the first time thalaivar has attempted a song that has such dark overtones? I dunt remember a song from thalaivar even in the olden days which has such dark overtones in the orchestration. Maybe Vaarthai Thavari Vittai from Sethu but it was more of sadness. This one has anger and pain reflected strongly in the orchestration. Not sure if anyone felt this, but when i listened to the song more than three times, i could feel my mind feeling abit more angsty and uneasy.

app_engine
12th August 2011, 08:07 AM

sengAththu bhoomiyilE is not the Suka movie.

Suka has done 'padiththuRai', music of which is the most expected one for me - going by the director's musical knowledge / taste.

Sureshs65
12th August 2011, 09:02 AM
So what does I try to imply by saying all this?!? Nothing specific, அதிகாலை 5 மணிக்கு எழுந்துவிட்டேன், ஏதோ தோணுச்சி எழுதிட்டேன் :yessir:

unga approach enakku pidichirukku :lol: Anyway, as app pointed out Suka's movie is 'Padithurai'. Not sure when that will release. Yes, it will be nice if we can collate what he has done the last 5 yrs and I feel he has done a lot, with a lot of variety. As of now, I want to do some writing on his late 90s work, which I am discovering now and am amazed as to how I missed some of these superb songs. So expect something on the lines of a 90s rant sometime in the near future :)

Hulk: You are right. I too haven't heard anything as dark from him. The way he moves the tune, the way he orchestrates, everything enhances this sombre dark mood very effectively.

V_S: As you said, that is Karthiks right to his opinion. As far as Raja is concerned, I generally have the attitude of 'why worry' as regards to reviews. I don't expect anything great given that even hard core Raja fans who are still stuck in the 80s rarely give Raja's new work a sympathetic ear.

venkkiram
12th August 2011, 09:07 AM
நீரால் உடல்கழுவி நித்தம்நித மூவேளை
சோறால் குடல்கழுவும் சோம்ப பிறவிமலை
சேறாம் இடர்கழுவ சேர்ந்தாயே அண்ணலடி
மாறாச் சுடர் தழுவவே.

நாறென வெள்லெலும்பை நன்கிணைத்து கட்டிவைத்து
நாறிடும் மூட்டைச் சதையொட்டி நீர்க்குருதிச்
சேரனதான எண்சான் உடம்பில் உன் நினைவே
சீருரும் தாமரை யாம்.

தொப்புள் கொடிபுடிச்சி தொத்திவந்த இப்பிறப்பு
எப்ப தொடக்கியதோ எப்போ தடங்கிடுமோ
செப்பவே யாரிருக்கா செப்பனிடா பாதையிலே
செப்பாமே போகுதே தப்பு.

எம்பாவக் கப்பலில் எங்கோ புறப்பட்டோம்
சம்சாரக் கடலில் சருகாய் இடர்ப்பட்டோம்
வெம்பினை காத்து வெரட்டுதே எம்மையே
தம்மபயம் எந்தருளை தா.

நான் கேட்டு உள்வாங்கியதை கொடுத்திருக்கிறேன். பிழையிருந்தால் திருத்தலாம். அடிக்கடி கேட்டு, இருக்கும் நான்கு வெண்பாக்களில் மூன்று (1, 3, 4) மனப்பாடம் ஆகிவிட்டது.

venkkiram
12th August 2011, 09:18 AM
தீவிர சைவ மார்க்கத்தில் ராஜா தன்னை முழுதாக ஆட்படுத்திக் கொண்டதால், சித்தர்களின் எண்ணங்களோடு ஒன்றிப் போகிறார். குணா படத்தில் வந்த "அப்பனென்றும் அம்மையென்றும்.." பாடல் வரிகளின் உச்சக் கட்டமே "நீரால் உடல் கழுவி..". லௌகிக வாழ்க்கையை வெறுத்து, துறவறத்தை நோக்கி நடைபோடும் வரிகள். பாடலின் பின்னணி இசையும் ஒருவித அமானுஷ்ய உணர்வை அள்ளித் தெளிக்கிறது. வெண்பாவில் வடித்த முயற்சி தமிழ்த் திரையுலகத்திற்கு புதியது என நினைக்கிறேன். வாழ்த்துக்கள். இதற்கு முன்னர் யாரேனும் வெண்பா வகைப் பாடல்களை எழுதி அது இசையமைக்கப்பட்டிருந்தால் குறிப்பிடவும்.

V_S
12th August 2011, 10:13 AM
Sureshji, yes I agree with you.
venkki, Thank you for the lyrics and for your excellent insight and analysis!

Sureshs65
12th August 2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the lyrics Venki. As V_S says, nice insights as well.

vel
12th August 2011, 11:52 AM
தீவிர சைவ மார்க்கத்தில் ராஜா தன்னை முழுதாக ஆட்படுத்திக் கொண்டதால், சித்தர்களின் எண்ணங்களோடு ஒன்றிப் போகிறார். குணா படத்தில் வந்த "அப்பனென்றும் அம்மையென்றும்.." பாடல் வரிகளின் உச்சக் கட்டமே "நீரால் உடல் கழுவி..". லௌகிக வாழ்க்கையை வெறுத்து, துறவறத்தை நோக்கி நடைபோடும் வரிகள். பாடலின் பின்னணி இசையும் ஒருவித அமானுஷ்ய உணர்வை அள்ளித் தெளிக்கிறது. வெண்பாவில் வடித்த முயற்சி தமிழ்த் திரையுலகத்திற்கு புதியது என நினைக்கிறேன். வாழ்த்துக்கள். இதற்கு முன்னர் யாரேனும் வெண்பா வகைப் பாடல்களை எழுதி அது இசையமைக்கப்பட்டிருந்தால் குறிப்பிடவும்.

hulkster - i didnt think it was dark.....as venkirram says, it is sort of esoteric .....அமானுஷ்ய உணர்வை அள்ளித் தெளிக்கிறது...Only Raaja could have delivered this feel with razor sharp accuracy....

vel
12th August 2011, 11:52 AM
hulkster - i didnt think it was dark.....as venkirram says, it is sort of esoteric .....அமானுஷ்ய உணர்வை அள்ளித் தெளிக்கிறது...Only Raaja could have delivered this feel with razor sharp accuracy....

very well put venkiram

raajarasigan
12th August 2011, 11:53 AM
so far, காட்டு வழி நல்ல இருக்கு.. மற்ற பாடல்கள் இன்னும் ஒழுங்கா கேக்கணும்

rajkumarc
12th August 2011, 12:04 PM
V_S & Venki - Great posts on Kaatu Vazhi & Neeral Udal Kazhuvi. Those songs are going to be very special. I also like the theme music bit with the chinese flute. Overall, a wonderful album with great variety.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
12th August 2011, 01:19 PM
We should say a big thanks to all the new directors who are in age range 30, approaching Sir for music, instead of going to the current gen MDs. Without their fascination on raja's music, we would not be having Raja sir i board, for composition.

Sureshs65
12th August 2011, 05:51 PM
Venki,

It somehow sounds like 'maarar sudar thazhuvave' instead of 'paara sudar thazhuvave' . Can you check it?

Devaraagam
12th August 2011, 07:49 PM
Kaattu vazhi and Neeral eating my soul, mind and my weekend........................can't come out from this...

jmahesh
12th August 2011, 10:33 PM
http://www.sify.com/movies/ilayaraja-to-attend-sri-ramarajyam-music-launch-news-news-limphbjgfda.html
Next treat enroute

app_engine
12th August 2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.sify.com/movies/ilayaraja-to-attend-sri-ramarajyam-music-launch-news-news-limphbjgfda.html
Next treat enroute

That teaser was definitely enticing!

With SPB-Shreya! Why not SPB in Thamizh, rAsA?

V_S
13th August 2011, 05:06 AM
One thing is, wherever he goes, there is umpteen respect for the talent, aura and pristine which surrounds Raja. Everyone are elated for having his compositions. Happy tears all over... :D
Very well said SKV!. Right from Machchaanai paartheengala, Aatukkutti muttai Ittu to Kaatril unthan geetham, Vedham anuvilum oru naadham to Kalaivaaniye to Poongaatru thirumbuma to Chinna thaayaval to Aruna Kirana deepam to Nee paartha paarvai to Paatu solli to Polla vinayen to Unna vida to Kunnathe to Mudhi Mudhi to Neeraal Udal Kazhuvi to Jagadananda kaaraga to many more to come. They are not just songs, it's a life and soul which is immortal. Added to that, writing background score, private albums, writing lyrics, even popular lyricists would shy away hearing his deep understanding in literature and vocabulary. What a variety, versatility, prolificity, efficiency all in one tiny human brain. I can never imagine such a phenomenon and authority in anyone else, even in the greatest composers of yesteryears. Everyone has limitation to particular area of music, but not our Maestro. No doubt there will be happy tears all over.

V_S
13th August 2011, 06:11 AM
நீரால் உடல்கழுவி நித்தநித மூவேளை
மாறாச் சுடர் தழுவவே.

சீருரும் தாமரை யாம்.

எப்ப தொடங்கியதோ எப்போ தடங்கிடுமோ
செப்பாம போகுதே தப்பு.

தம்மபயம் எந்தருளை தா.

Enayya Ithu? I pinch myself frequently to realize that I am still in this world. Can't believe what I am hearing! I feel it is the continuation of 'Kaattu Vazhi thumbam Illai' where it took us from the dark forest ( I meant the dark forest to the wandering mind body and mind) to focus continuously on the where the chant is coming from and leads us to that path providing light, leaving out the material world. If Kaatu Vazhi is a spark, Neeral Udal Kazhuvi is the fire itself, which is one of the form of Lord Shiva in Thirvannaamalai. The path though it leads has numerous hurdles like snakes and dangerous species, there is always light. Maestro projects with some terrific soundscapes (that too in synth) throughout the song which gives us a pictorial view of all the species. The udukkai sattham which signifies danger, but silence too, with shenai, bell sounds, signifies that there is Shiva's temple around. When he reaches there, he sees the majestic Lord with snakes crawling all over him with Shiva calling him like a child. Then he starts singing these beautiful verses. Maestro doesn't hide anything, and as he pours in everything from his heart to this one. Heavenly singing by Manickavaasagam Ayya.

I happened to make my parents and in-laws listen this one, and they were speechless. All their doubts about Maestro came to end. :smile: Highly recommended for mature listeners only.

Lyrical value is such, ஒவ்வொரு எழுத்தும் ஒரு ரத்னம். Speechless of lyrics. Could not believe it is coming from a modern composer and not from Manickavaasagar or Arungirinathar.

A great masterpiece to remember anytime. One in a million!

Sureshs65
13th August 2011, 12:00 PM
Sample of two songs of 'Sriramarajyam'. Promising indeed.

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=a0002785

Sureshs65
13th August 2011, 12:09 PM
V_S,

If both parents and in-laws agree on the same thing, it must be very very good indeed. :lol: Just kidding.

The more I analyze the song, the more I seem to get the hints of Raja. First, the selection of the ragam, Punnagavarali. 'Punnagam' means snake I think and PUnnagavarali is always associated with snakes ('nadar mudi mel irukkum nalla paambe' is in this raga.) Since snake is associated closely with Siva (Thandavakon) it makes sense to use this raga. I also, like V_S, thought he was getting the shenai sounds on the synthesizer. Later I realized it is not the shenai sounds but that of magudi. If you listen carefully you can clearly make out that he playing the magudi. And as V_S says the drums which are sounded, are like the udukkai. (The only external element seems to be the mandolin type of instrument which comes in giving a middle eastern feel.) All in all, as V_S says, Raja wants to create a soundscape which put us in midst of the 'Thandavakon'. Very apt for this movie.

When they announced the movie name and sort of spoke about the subject, I thought we would probably see some vigorous song, like 'Om Sivoham'. Instead Raja has taken us on a totally different path. And I am glad he has done that.

kiru
13th August 2011, 12:22 PM
kaattu vazhi ..really kicks b**** ... what an idea/touch to sing sambo shiva shiva sada shiva with that "spit" in the voice. In recent times, heavy synth drums have been used to a great effect in these religio/philosophical songs.
(@V_S..I think one can loop kaattu vazhi with neeral udal kazhuvi in the middle..since they are almost same subject..it will have a nice effect .. or you can listen to TIS :-) )

Sureshs65
13th August 2011, 12:41 PM
kiru,

Nice to see you back :) For me it has been 'kattu vazhi' and 'neeral udal kazhuvi' in loop.

Sureshs65
13th August 2011, 12:42 PM
Now that kiru has also posted, waiting for the other great TIS fan, Jai, to post his comments on 'Thandavakone'

Sunil_M88
13th August 2011, 04:25 PM
V_S great write up on kaattu vazhi and neeral udal kazhuvi wrt to lord shiva :bow: I felt the shivers just by reading your post. By keeping forest soundscape analogy in mind I will listen to the songs later :musicsmile:

Suresh ji - thanks for the samples. The Jagadanandha song is the second duet by SPB and SG ever, I believe the first one was in 2004.

MumbaiRamki
13th August 2011, 07:16 PM
Sample of two songs of 'Sriramarajyam'. Promising indeed.

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=a0002785

When im yet to break the while(1) loop for neeral udal kaluvi and kaatu vazhi , looks like i need to break that and start another loop !

V_S
13th August 2011, 07:36 PM
Suresh ji nice one :lol: yes if they are agreeing to something, we should celebrate it. Since my father's most favorite is K V Mahadevan and then MSV in his younger days and even now, it was difficult for him to accept others. But during these 20-25 years, since he is hearing more IR songs through me, he used to ask me those days many times to play one of his songs suddenly. May be what triggered him, nowadays he keeps telling me that, he cannot listen to others except IR. He was stunned by Pazhassi Raja, ULiyin Osai. But he is more into carnatic classical, rather than film songs. Sri rama raajyam should be a treat for him. Waiting, just 3 more days. Our home has become more divine and pious with these recent IR offerings. :smile:

Sunil, yes when I was hearing Neeraal Udal Kazhuvi and writing yesterday, it had shivers in me too, as you rightly pointed out and it took quite some time to come out of it. Always they say with Lord Shiva, you have to be very careful. Even in our homes, we don't keep his dancing statue in pooja room, but only the lingam. But if you have lingam, you should perform pooja regularly. Other Gods are friendly and you can be close to them, but only God with fear and respect is Lord Shiva (and again Parvathi). So the shiver is obvious. Even you can feel in his temples and the karuvarai, it will be so silent. Sorry for the digression.

Kiru, welcome back. Yes you are right. These two songs need to be listen back to back so that we can completely appreciate it.

kiru
14th August 2011, 02:08 AM
Suresh,V_S, et_al, I'd love to hang out here with you guys whenever I get a chance.
(@V_S, i know what you are talking about re: shiva worship, coming from a family of shiva worshippers with names like sivakalai, sivanEsan, sivasankaran etc. Nataraja statue is avoided in our family as well..)
Played kaattu vazhi to my wife this morning and she mentioned the rhythm being similar to adhi ushas..
(Another tidbit from my dad - Some people have the habit of sitting down in the temple after the end and dust themselves when they get up. Apparently, this is an expression of "I am not taking even wee bit of dust from the temple home" .. otherwise .. sivan choththu kulam naasam .. not sure this is really happening all our politician aRangkaavalars seem to be taking a kickback out of every temple festival expenses and still prospering :-) )

jaiganes
14th August 2011, 03:14 AM
jagadhanandha kaaraka reminds me so heavily kunnathe.. the saarangi and the bass lines are so "Kunnaaththe"...

V_S
14th August 2011, 03:46 AM
Nice recollection kiru. :smile: I remember that kiru. Even my dad used to say that and even remember doing that. As Suresh ji said you, jai, every one please write about these songs in detail whenever you can. Will be glad to read it.

Sureshs65
14th August 2011, 02:38 PM
The unfortunate fact about 'thandavakone' is that it is still not available in stores in Chennai, forget Bangalore. I don't know why this is happening eventhough someone like Agilan is supposed to have the rights. You can buy it online but not yet in stores. I do hope someone who has been in touch with Agilan mails him and checks as to when it will be available in stores.

San_K
14th August 2011, 02:45 PM
very unlucky. Then what is the purpose of 'Isai Veliyeedu'?

Hulkster
14th August 2011, 06:24 PM
Later I realized it is not the shenai sounds but that of magudi. If you listen carefully you can clearly make out that he playing the magudi. And as V_S says the drums which are sounded, are like the udukkai. (The only external element seems to be the mandolin type of instrument which comes in giving a middle eastern feel.) All in all, as V_S says, Raja wants to create a soundscape which put us in midst of the 'Thandavakon'. Very apt for this movie.

:exactly: Thalaivar is probably the only composer who balances his composing techniques well with the film he is dealing with, yet comes up with techniques probably only he can decipher.
Is this the first time a magudi has had some sort of orchestration besides the usual sound they always show in films? Trust thalaivar to disguise the instrumentation in his own style so well that you can easily replace the magudi with a shenai and they still have the same effect.

venkkiram
14th August 2011, 06:56 PM
Venki,

It somehow sounds like 'maarar sudar thazhuvave' instead of 'paara sudar thazhuvave' . Can you check it?

சரியே. "மாறாச் சுடர்" என்றே ஒலிக்கிறது. பதிவை திருத்திவிட்டேன். நன்றி.

Sureshs65
14th August 2011, 07:45 PM
Hulk,

Well said. And in a completely tangential reference, I remember you having uploaded the two songs of the Velu Prabhakaran movie, 'Kadhal Kadha' (?). I don't have those songs. Can you give me the link if you still have them up.

Venki: Thanks once again for the lyrics. Very enjoyable.

jmahesh
16th August 2011, 12:57 PM
http://musicmazaa.com/telugu/audiosongs/movie/Sri+Rama+Rajyam.html
Excellent songs

Sunil_M88
16th August 2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the share, great to see a mammoth track list from Raaja saab :)

anegan
16th August 2011, 04:53 PM
Excellent songs

Thanks for the link jmahesh.
This is exactly what I was longing for from Raaja.

anegan
16th August 2011, 05:02 PM
I just can't control my tears while I'm hearing the songs.

skr
16th August 2011, 06:29 PM
Shri Rama Rajyam audio is a treasure
http://www.123telugu.com/audio-review/audio-review-balakrishna-sri-rama-rajyam.html

skr
16th August 2011, 06:31 PM
Btw guys where are your Reviews - Suresh , Jai ,Plum ,V_S ,App ,Sunil , Raagas etc etc
Eagerly awaiting your reviews for the 16 songs in Shri Rama Rajyam

V_S
16th August 2011, 06:41 PM
Wow! that's a big one. Seems like 4 to 5 soundtracks in one. :-D. ecstasy!! Need to listen shortly, but still stuck with Thandavakone. Yes we definitely need Sureshji, Plum and raagas to decipher the lyrics and how it has come. Should be very interesting from lyrics standpoint too.

Sureshs65
16th August 2011, 06:43 PM
Review of SriRamaRajyam:

http://www.123telugu.com/audio-review/audio-review-balakrishna-sri-rama-rajyam.html

Was without net connection for a long time. Just listening to the songs now. Need some time to write a review. 16 songs!!

jmahesh
16th August 2011, 06:50 PM
Btw guys where are your Reviews - Suresh , Jai ,Plum ,V_S ,App ,Sunil , Raagas etc etc
Eagerly awaiting your reviews for the 16 songs in Shri Rama Rajyam

Its going to take a long time for above experts to recover from the mayakkam that the songs are going to give them. Review panna romba neram eduthukolvaarhal

dochu
16th August 2011, 07:23 PM
What an album - SRR!!!

Brought tears!!

Plum
16th August 2011, 07:49 PM
nAnlAm normalAvE naalu maasam eduthuppEn. This might take a year or so to settle in. What I have heard so far raises expectations sky-high - gosh, the last I was excited was for Naan Kadavul

Sureshs65
16th August 2011, 08:20 PM
Plum,

You forgot Pazhassi Raja :)

app_engine
16th August 2011, 08:36 PM

idhu enna aniyAyAm :-)

A_E definitely does not belong to the "reviewer" category sir!

Plum
16th August 2011, 09:45 PM
I was dismissive of Pazhassi until I heard it, suresh.
App, I yAm also not reviewer. IdhellAm janangaLA pArththu pattam kudukkaRachE apdiyE maindain paNNi kittu pOga vENdiyadhu dhaan...

skr
16th August 2011, 09:49 PM
Lol A_E , but idhulla naraya SPB songs irukku and all of them are gr8 ..Missed KV's name in the reviewers list ..Been a long time since we heard from you.SRR is an ideal platform for u to make a comeback :)

skr
16th August 2011, 10:00 PM
SRR is a really fantabulous album .Each and every song is a Pokisham.
Some songs which had an immediate impact on me 1st time hear are ;
Gali Ningi Neeru - An absolute gem in Keeravani ..SPB unleashing his true potential and showing his versatility and class
Kalaya Nijama - One of the best classic ephemeral beauties based on Sallapam ..A landmark song for Tippu
Ramayanamu Sri Rama - Sung by Female Duo Chitra and Shreya ,both of them do a fab job ,another Super SindhuBhairavi
Jagananda Kara - Well obviously , the full song is a stunner Welcoming back SPB in IR'S in grand fashion
Shri Rama Lera - Lovely duet by Sriram and Shreya , such a soothing and calm song..Serenity personified
Sapthashwarathamarudam - A SPB solo , total bliss and mind manifestation

K
16th August 2011, 10:03 PM
Gaali Nigi Neeru songs from Sri Rama Rajiyam- Rhythms are same as "Venilave" of Minsarakanvu. Why Raja Why? ethuku commercial loops ungalukku? EKSI.

MumbaiRamki
16th August 2011, 11:45 PM
It will take atleast 1-2 days to even write a cursory review of the songs ..Listened to 5 songs and all of them are gems so far ... Atleast this,i need to come out of raaga and buy a CD

MumbaiRamki
17th August 2011, 12:03 AM
Shankau chakrala - so far only song that under huge embrassement, i hit FF button ! Thankfully short !!

All others are nice ones .. big winner !

Bala (Karthik)
17th August 2011, 12:43 AM
jagadhanandha kaaraka reminds me so heavily kunnathe.. the saarangi and the bass lines are so "Kunnaaththe"...
Sudhadhanyasi? Or is it Abheri?

irir123
17th August 2011, 12:51 AM
"Shri Rama Lera" - reminds me of "puttham pudhu poo poothadho" (from 'Thalapathy') and 1-2 other songs - the string ensemble at the beginning of this track is freaking beautiful!

Bala (Karthik)
17th August 2011, 01:09 AM
Listening to the songs now, very good so far.... :thumbsup:
Balu Sir and Shreya Paapa :cool2:

Bala (Karthik)
17th August 2011, 01:11 AM
Is "Sri Raama Lera" - Which raaga is it set in? Sounds a bit like Pantuvaraali but i'm not sure. Suresh, help needed...

baroque
17th August 2011, 01:40 AM
thanks...

Found the album here.

I will check out the album at the end of the day.

vinatha.

Sureshs65
17th August 2011, 07:54 AM
Bala,

As usual with Raja difficult to get to the raga :) I am also a bit confused about Srirama Lera. Sounds like Vasantha sometimes and Panthuvarali in some places. Jagadanandakaaraka sounds like Suddha Dhanyasi. The Ramayanamu song sung by Chitra and Shreya is definitely Sindhu Bhairavi :) As irir123 mentioned, Srirama Lera is close to 'Putham Pudhu Poo'. Definitely a very very soothing album.

irir123
17th August 2011, 08:02 AM
this album only further confirms that IR is indeed the LAST of the classical composers, a link between the past, present and future - i can only think of perhaps MM Keeravani (aka Maragathamani) who can do justice to such a film with anything along similar lines!

It feels sad and scary that the present world of composers may not have the acumen/knowledge to come up with anything even close to this, if the requirement arose!

perhaps someone like Vidyasagar or an Ousepechan may come up with something, but this kind of blitzkeirg versatility with such a few years!

Nan kadavul, Pazhassi Raaja, Paa, Thandavakone (shaivaite overtones), Sri Rama Rajyam (opposite to the former!), Nandalala & Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai (a freaked out avante-garde western classical/folk BGM filled outputs) and Ponnar Shankar (music for a wacko fiction abt Kongu culture!)

if ppl do NOT know how to bring more out of this man, it is just a sad state of affairs!

we need more Mahendrans, Bharathirajas, Mani Ratnams and Balu Mahendras from the new generation of directors to 'inspire' IR!

might sound repititive - but i go again - this man is a living phenomenon!

PS: as a side note, its my feeling that while Shreya's voice is very sweet and is a super-duper singing sensation of her generation, i have problems with her 'bhava'! while sounding sweet and crystal clear, perhaps because its in a language she does not understand she fails to bring in the necessary emotion(s) for certain songs - strictly IMHO

AravindMano
17th August 2011, 08:15 AM
irir123 - Couldn't be said better! :clap:

V_S
17th August 2011, 08:16 AM
it feels sad and scary that the present world of composers may not have the acumen/knowledge to come up with anything even close to this, if the requirement arose!
:clap: Very well expressed irir123. I too had the same feeling. But they can be safe that these kind of divine films will never come again, so that they won't be exposed. :smile: But we need to thank the director and producer for daringly coming up with this film at this year (trend) and most of all we have to appreciate the telugu audience who still have interest in these kind of films and supporting it whole-heartedly even now, when we have already trashed these kind of films long time back. Last but not least, they have remembered our Maestro and gave this opportunity and made us all proud and gifted to listen to these gems. Big salute to them!

My expectations has gone so high. Just started listening.

layman10
17th August 2011, 08:39 AM
perhaps someone like Vidyasagar or an Ousepechan may come up with something, but this kind of blitzkeirg versatility with such a few years!

Nan kadavul, Pazhassi Raaja, Paa, Thandavakone (shaivaite overtones), Sri Rama Rajyam (opposite to the former!), Nandalala & Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai (a freaked out avante-garde western classical/folk BGM filled outputs) and Ponnar Shankar (music for a wacko fiction abt Kongu culture!)

if ppl do NOT know how to bring more out of this man, it is just a sad state of affairs!

Cant be said better. When everyone is hunting for the inspiration else where and trying hard to package it as their own. Here is the Man, so at ease, never worried about any outcome, just does it as his joyful duty. Sad no good counterparts to use him well!

baroque
17th August 2011, 08:59 AM
sri rama lera.....

this kind of
carnatic pantuvarali- Hindustani pooryadhanasri
is a popular tune in Indian films.

this kind of shade have become super duper hits in the vocals of Bala, Asha etc...in hindi and tamil 3 decades ago.

devi devi poonthenil kalandhu.....Naan adimai illai....is one of them.

sandhanam poosa manjal .....Shri.Bala is the same shade.

remember asha's prem geet.....thumne kya kya.....

Enchanting tunes.:musicsmile: if sri rama lera...... appeals to your senses, you should check out those 80s pure marvels. LOVE IT. S.P.Bala delivered it eternal.

dhool boys have hosted a visu composition of vasantha, pantuvarali mix with Bala's vocal.

http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8193

vinatha

irir123
17th August 2011, 09:06 AM
what even more amazes me is IR's principled approach towards helping / aiding newcomers like Mysskin, Suseendhran, Bala etc with his music for their creative ventures - realizing very clearly that he himself was a struggler in his early years, he is doing ample justice to his own convictions!

am getting increasingly confident that the films / projects he has shunned over the years were borned out of either his principle(s), or, self-respect (as in Kavithalaya films who used someone else's music instead of waiting for him to complete the BGM for PPA!)

two things confuse / confound me though - trusting someone like Mr.Jegath Gasper, and doing films like Kadhal arangam/Dhanam !!!

Sureshs65
17th August 2011, 02:57 PM
irir123,

Nice review. You are spot on regarding Shreya. In many of the songs you can see the exact bhava missing, if you observe carefully. Especially when she is singing with Chitra. This is what I wrote on twitter yesterday: " 'Ramayanamu' shows that Shreya has to do some more apprenticeship under Chitra :) Chitra understands Raja's mind perfectly."

Sureshs65
17th August 2011, 02:59 PM
irir123,

Even the director of 'Thandavakone' (Subbu Sujatha) is a new guy and such mind blowing songs for him!! What more can you ask. I have always maintained the Raja's work ethic is impeccable. My friend Rajasaranam claims that Raja always gave the songs that the story / movie deserved, irrespective of who the director was.

Devaraagam
17th August 2011, 03:50 PM
Suresh, I also agree with Rajasaranam 200%. my observation on raja is also the same that he is not working for people, working for the movie. if he inspired(refer the meaning of Raja from Jaya tv program) on the story, we will get good music

vigneshram
17th August 2011, 05:26 PM
Suresh, I also agree with Rajasaranam 200%. my observation on raja is also the same that he is not working for people, working for the movie. if he inspired(refer the meaning of Raja from Jaya tv program) on the story, we will get good music

Agreed. But he always has spl soft corner for a few directors like Fazil , irrespective of the script (Remember Oru naal oru kanavu?)

jmahesh
17th August 2011, 05:43 PM
went hunting for thandavakone and sriramarajyam cds in chennai, unable to find it even in express avenue

irir123
17th August 2011, 06:20 PM
Sri Rama Rajyam - even the use of the veenai in the big song of the album, 'Jagadanandha' feels very, very Godavarish, such authentic Bhadrachalam feel! - the other Janaki song from IR "rama kanaveniraa" from Swathi Muthyam had the same identical godavari feel, and yet this album is an entirely different beast!!

buggle
18th August 2011, 03:45 AM
We do know IR will do justice esp for a spiritual movie like this,
but what do u guys think abt the commercial value of this movie??

Sunil_M88
18th August 2011, 04:34 AM
Sri Rama Rajyam (Music review), Telugu – Ilayaraja

SPB’s magnificent vocals, that unconventional rhythmic lilt and that flute-based second interlude…all work in perfect sync in Jagadanandha karaka to create absolute magic! Sri Rama lera opens with a blast of Hamsanandhi that Raja has used earlier and with that familiarity, it works brilliantly! Devulle mechina and Sita seemantham are pleasant, nostalgic throwback to Raja’s Chinna Thambi days, with orchestration largely unadulterated by modernity, barring the interludes which too impress with their sheer melody. Chitra and Shreya Ghoshal deserve a special mention in these songs! SPB aces the sweeping Keeravani-based pathos in Gali ningi neeru, propped by splendid use of violins in true Raja style, while the serene Sindhu Bhairavi-based Ramayanamu is again Chitra and Shreya Ghosal’s magnificent show, even as the composer makes his presence felt with highly imaginative progressions in the tune. And though Rama rama ane sounds filmy, it is a thoroughly likeable tune with mesmerizing vocals by Swetha and Anitha. Of the eight short tracks, Tippu’s Kalaya nijama clearly leads and is one of the singer’s best songs yet! The other short track that impresses is Surabhu Sravani and Keerthana’s Dhandakam. Sri Rama Rajyam is a masterpiece; totally befitting the expectations from the formidable Bapu-Raja combination!

source: http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2011/08/17/sri-rama-rajyam-music-review-telugu-ilayaraja/

Sureshs65
18th August 2011, 09:10 AM
irir123,

You have hit the nail on the head. As Plum and I never tire pointing out, whenever Raja does work in another language, he casually brings in the whole culture of that land into his music. I still can't figure out how he does that but he does. Very Telugu-ish album this. Even the small folk songs have a typical Andhra feel. Shweta has done a fine job getting that accent right. I am quite impressed.

buggle: My feeling is that commercially the movie will do well. Two reasons, one, there is void when it comes to this type movies. What was once staple is now novelty!! Second, traditionally well made mythologies have done well in the past in Andhra. 'Annamayya', 'Bhakta Ramdas' have been decent success. So I guess this movie will also do well. But then, predicting the success or failure of a film is the most hazardous occupation :)

Plum
18th August 2011, 09:22 AM
Suresh, I think thala raatha being what it is, this movie will flop and word will spread like a forest fire through the TeF industry that nonbody's better for such movies than MM Keeravani :)

I had one such type argue earnestly to me that Samarasimha Reddy had much better BGM than Andhappuram, and "I don't know why they went to IR for a rayalaseema gadda movie" :lol:

kiru
18th August 2011, 09:57 AM
With short WCM passages between indian style singing, synth drums + acoustic mridhangam+table (or probably sampled sounds) .. this album definitely has a special "sound" to it. IR has managed to get a recording out that is devotional, yet that does sound fresh and not too "too traditional".
(Re: Shreya's bhaavam - need to get that young woman some bhakthi bhaavam .. that the south is so famous far.. otherwise ..with this album we could make her a "naturalized" south indian citizen :-) .
Agree with itwofs .. (I dont usually with this dude :-) ) .. Tippu has graduated .. IR likes him and persevered with him)

Plum
18th August 2011, 10:57 AM
KEttAchu. Well, nice. But lacks the masala - which Telugu audience needs even in mythos - to make it a commercial giant of a success.

Lacks the pure classicism(preferrably mildly meh-ly orchestrate thyagaraja krithis) that will fetch a national award
But what the heck - this one's for us, the fans. This is what I want, at least.

Plum
18th August 2011, 12:58 PM
Shreya pAppavai koRai solla mudiyala. nallA dhAnE pAdi irukku?
appuRam, "kaNNil pArvai"-la illAdha emotionA, nuance-A? pAppA "eeram thadhumbum"-nu solRachE, namma kaNNula eeram thadhumbalainA, namma manushanE illai, amAm!

Sureshs65
18th August 2011, 01:59 PM
Here is my take on 'Ramarajyam'. Reviewing song by song will make it lengthy and also bore people. So will do a short take and then ramble on on related things :)

'Jagadanandakaraka', 'Sreerama Lera', 'Gaali Ningi Neeru', 'Kalaya Nijama' and 'Seetha Seemantham' are bound to impress everyone. 'Ramayanamu' is probably the best song of the album. Superb Sindhu Bhairavi and Chitra nails the emotion perfectly. The other songs are good as well but who will like which one and will not like which one, I cannot say. All in all, Raja has not given anyone any reason to complain.

Raja, as far as this movie is concerned, seems to have realized what Bapu expected from him. The idea seems to be to give what the listeners will perceive as songs for a mythological movie. Tunes which must be soothing, raga based and with classical instrumentation. Raja does that to most extent. He gives instantly catchy tunes, lot of raga based tunes and uses classical instruments like mridangam, tabla and veena (may not be all the while though.) In other words, one of the recent albums of Raja were the expectation wrt to music has perfectly matched what was delivered. This is a surprise for me, because for the last couple of years, with the possible exception of 'Sengaathu Bhoomiyile', what I expected from a particular film were never in sync with what was actually delivered. Of course what was delivered was far better than what I expected but there was a mismatch. To give some examples, people expected some old style songs for 'Jaganmohini' but he delivered a knockout of a rock album, when people expected another 'Guru' he delivered a very different 'Pazhassi Raja', who expected the youthful exuberance of 'Paa'? Or that he would knock us out this way with 'Thandavakone'? So in a way 'Sreeramarajyam' is different in the sense Raja just decided that he will deliver what is expected by the people. That is one reason everyone is quite happy with 'Sreeramarajyam'. Our expectations have been fulfilled. And to be the contrarian, that is why I am a disappointed, though I am happy with all the songs. (Confusing people is what I do well :lol: )

To be honest I was not sure how 'Sreeramarajyam' would turn out to be basically because Raja's bhakthi albums on Ayyappa, Ramana Maharishi and on Saibaba were definitely not in tune with what people expected from a bhakthi album. They were bhakthi as seen by Raja and not as perceived by most people. So the expectations never matched. I love each of those albums because I like Raja's approach to the subject but I know for sure for the general public, they find it better to listen to lot of L R Eshwari and others. So whether Raja will take his own route or will follow the standard path I wasn't sure. He has followed the standard path and that has ensured a wider audience now. Everyone is liking this album without reservation. That is good.

Even though synth and other modern instruments are used, Raja hides them quite well. K had an interesting point that Raja was using store bought loops in one song. (Raja fans must now think of newer factors to accuse other MDs :lol:) In this song too, Raja immediately hooks you to the tune, SPB's singing helps, and you don't realize that a store bought rhythm loop is playing in the background. Also Raja very nicely uses some folk tunes. 'Rama Rama Rama ane Rama Mandiram' has a nice charm of its own. Overall, Raja manages to get the Telugu touch completely in this album. Knowing Raja, this is something expected. The virutham in Mohanam by SPB, the 'rama rama', the 'Devulle Mechina' rhythmic pattern, everything is close to the Telugu people's heart. So getting their approval is not going to be hard. Going by all reports people seem to quite happy with the songs.

This album interests me more for the alternate possibilities. First: Jonnavidhula's lyrics are nice but not something to shout about. He is done the needed job. What if Veturi was alive and was given the job. Or what if Bapu had asked Sirivennela to pen it. What would have been the quality of lyrics? Would it have been a level higher? We don't know. The second possibility is: how would the tunes have turned out had Raja been asked to tune first and then lyrics were written? That to me, is an interesting possibility. An unfettered Raja can surprise you by what he can do. That is why I see beauty in this album, melody in this album, freshness in this album but not surprise. Having said that I must say that this album is mint fresh. Everything sounds so fresh, the tune, the voices, the orchestration. That is one more reason why people are liking this album in large numbers.

The singer selection is good as well. SPB back with Raja has made many people happy and for good reason. SPB does deliver a good punch. (I felt that towards the end of 'gali ningi neeru' he became a bit over dramatic but we can forgive that .) Chitra as usual is rock solid. Shreya is sweet as ever though in the 'Seetha Seemanthamu' songs she has a few problems wrt pronunciation. I personally felt that song should have gone to Shweta, who does a wonderful job in the other songs. Sriram does a neat job in ' Sreerama Lera', while Tippu surprises everyone with a superb rendition of 'kalaya nijama'. Everyone associated with this album would be proud of their participation.

Overall a mint fresh, soothing, melody based album, which has everyone rooting for it.

Sunil_M88
18th August 2011, 08:21 PM
Suresh ji, what a fantastic write up, sir! :clap: You might of not reviewed the album but the things you have brought fourth really do sum up how I feel, I cannot speak for others. Particular things you mentioned were well said like, “Raja has not given anyone any reason to complain.”

Thanks for sharing thoughts on other outcomes of the album due to change in lyricsts, tune, instrumentation.. Raaja saab does surprise once again and the album has a mint fresh was well put by you.

As you said the synth is subtle and hides away so that the album can be more in line with the expectations of a film of this genre. For me Jagadhananda completely overshadows the album and this one track is also in tough competition as it has surpassed the amount of times I heard the album, Thandavakone as a whole.

My take on Jagadhananda.

Although I’m a follower of the Telugu film songs I am completely oblivious of the language but this song has this charisma which strikes you on the first hearing. Usually what happens is when you hear a song repeatedly, give or take a few days it wears out? Although it has been two days, it is still early to say how the song will perform in the test of time. But my gut instinct says it has already passed the test of time with flying colours. IR has packed the whole world in this composition. He’s got harps and trumpets flourishing in the prelude, along with synths and bass smoothly intertwined with humming in the pallavi and other parts of the song. Making religious songs is not easy as it does somehow narrows the number of listeners but here this song has the appeal to entice everyone and IR here has outdone himself. The folk flute touch in the second interlude which is completely on the other of spectrum compared to the WCM prelude is not really conventional for bhakti sangeet, but this is where Raaja engages into his out of the box thinking and fires on all cylinders.

Sureshs65
18th August 2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks Sunil. 'Jagadananda Kaaraka' and 'Sreerama Lera' have the potential of immediately impressing the listener.

sivasub
18th August 2011, 09:57 PM
Currently loving the mood swings in 'Sitarama Charita....'. Part between 3.30 and 4.15 reminded me of 'Kannil Paarvai...', though.

V_S
19th August 2011, 08:34 AM
Superb Sureshji. Excellent gist of the whole soundtrack, but with every minute and needed details. Yes telugu audience should be very happy. I just listened to one or two songs, but could not listen to it thoroughly due to various commitments. I was very curious about how the lyrics has come. It seems ok, not great. Surely as you suggested if we could get those legends back, it would have sounded more authentic. But tuning songs to this much depth and in various raagas for already written lyrics is not an easy achievement. Should get some time next week to listen to this masterpiece.

Nice to see Karthik's comments on Sri Rama Rajyam.

Sunil, excellently put your thoughts on Jagadananda kaaraka. One song which does not take any time to flow inside your heart, just one listen is enough. I remember Raja saying (I think in MOP Vaishnav college felicitation), that a song is loved/liked by you is because of a simple reason that it is already inside you. Just that I am reminding you. Golden words and how true. This is one such song!

suresh
19th August 2011, 11:06 AM
Sri Rama Rajyam - Just to see SPB & Chitra in the album credits of a Raaja film is in itself a sweet surprise. Rest is icing on the cake. SRR, as my namesake has so precisely laid out in his review before, didn't quite hit me like the broodingly surreal "Thandavakkone" did, but nevertheless, looks guaranteed to become the big commercial success that has been eluding Raaja for quite sometime now. Fantastic vocals right down to Shwetha; 'Jagadanandha Karaka' and 'Sree Rama Lera' clearly my highlights, this is Raaja at his commercial best where the whole production is so watertight, not one note out of place. I only hope that the God on whom this movie is premised on, compensates for the scary casting (Balayya & Nayan! Bapuji, what were you thinking?) and the not so great luck for mythologicals of late.

But "Thandavakkone" is clearly the thunderbolt from the blue. I can't understand Raaja's untiring effort to makeover Madhu B into a versatile, genre-hopping singer, but since I've kind of now begun to expect the album's weakest song from him, 'Kula Deivam' didn't deviate from the pattern. I find 'Aanukkulley' trite and predictable, given its pedestrian lyrics, boring rhythms, saved only by Haricharan's presence. But what a triple whammy Raaja delivers with 'Kattu Vazhi', 'Ennappol/Unnappol' and 'Neeral Udal Kazhuvi'! Outstanding singing (surely must rank among Tippu, Sriram P and Manickavinayagam's top 3), lyrics and orchestration combine to give us three songs that are so rich with musical ideas, wannabe MDs can milk dozens of hits from each one of them. Raaja's grainy vocal texture during the plaintive "Shambo Siva Siva", the way the charanams effortlessly glide towards the pallavi in these songs, the precision with which the soundscape has been designed to convey the mood and tenor of the film - even if the movie becomes yet another 'also-ran', this album is one for the serious film music lover's archives.

Sureshs65
19th August 2011, 01:58 PM
I know lot of people like us are aghast at Balayya taking up Rama's role but almost every Telugu friend of mine feels that if there is one person now who can do mythological characters, it has to be Balayya. So the public sentiment is not too bad when it comes to Balayya. Not sure how Nayan will be accepted. Lets wait and see.

Raaja's grainy vocal texture during the plaintive "Shambo Siva Siva", the way the charanams effortlessly glide towards the pallavi in these songs, the precision with which the soundscape has been designed to convey the mood and tenor of the film - even if the movie becomes yet another 'also-ran', this album is one for the serious film music lover's archives.

Superbly put. Couldn't have said this better. For serious lovers of film music, 'Thandavakone' is by miles the best album of the year. Not just the 'Best Raja Album of the Year'.

Sureshs65
19th August 2011, 02:03 PM
While Madhu Balakrishnan is just not suitable for these high energy songs, I find that Raja has made Tippu crossover from these 'kuthu' songs to deliver some poignant numbers and he has risen to the occasion. His songs in 'Thandavakone' and "SreeRamaRajyam' are very ear grabbing and he has done a very good job, though his voice still lacks the consistency across the range. I hope Raja stops giving these high energy songs to Madhu B. Earlier he used to give such songs to Arunmozhi, who had an approach very similar to Madhu B when he was singing such songs. That is, he also sang without any emotion.

KV
19th August 2011, 03:03 PM
மாறாச் சுடர் தழுவவே.

சீருரும் தாமரை யாம்.

செப்பாமே போகுதே தப்பு.

தம்மபயம் எந்தருளை தா.

நான் கேட்டு உள்வாங்கியதை கொடுத்திருக்கிறேன். பிழையிருந்தால் திருத்தலாம். அடிக்கடி கேட்டு, இருக்கும் நான்கு வெண்பாக்களில் மூன்று (1, 3, 4) மனப்பாடம் ஆகிவிட்டது.

Arresting, disturbing, brooding. Pushing the envelope'mbaale.
Lyrics yaarunga? Raasa va, vaali ya? Can someone post a (rough) English translation of this please? I’m yet to comprehend this song wholly.

KV
19th August 2011, 04:18 PM
Not sure what inspired the man to conjure such an intense composition. Idhukkagave risk eduthu padam paakalaamnu thonudhu.
Neeraal udal and Kaatu vazhi make a deadly pair. The former being almost like a virutham to the latter.

SoftSword
19th August 2011, 04:34 PM
மாறாச் சுடர் தழுவவே.

சீருரும் தாமரை யாம்.

செப்பாமே போகுதே தப்பு.

தம்மபயம் எந்தருளை தா.

venki,
are all these stanzas from the same song...?
arttham ellaam nallaa irukku... aana consistency illayae...
first two looks are too formal while the next two sound casual and folksy...

Sureshs65
19th August 2011, 04:36 PM
KV,

Here is the very rough translation. I think the lyrics are by Raja. (He had earlier written a book of 'venba's. May it was picked up from that.)

First stanza:

Cleansing the body with water
And everyday, all three times, filling
our stomachs
is this lazy hill of a body
To wash away the obstacle of slush
you reached the feet of the Lord
Wanting to embrace
the light against your heart

Second Stanza:

Tied together tightly
are these bones of ours
upon which is draped
the stinking skin
Slushly with blood and water
is my body
in which only your memory
is like a beautiful lotus

Third stanza:

Clinging to the umbilical cord
we take on this birth
When did it start and
when will it end
Who here can explain?
On the unpaved path
unsaid goes our life
this is wrong

Fourth Stanza:

In our ship of sin
we started somewhere
Our journey broken by the
bonds of 'samsara'
The hot breeze is
chasing us
Give us your protection

KV
19th August 2011, 04:41 PM
:clap: Lovely, Sureshji. Mikka nandri.

KV
19th August 2011, 04:46 PM
venki,

Softie, it ain't that inconsistent, illa? On the contrary, the brooding, ‘please redeem this low life’ tone is quite consistent, me thinks.
And casual and folksy aa? Please essplain’nga.

vel
19th August 2011, 06:35 PM
KV,

Here is the very rough translation. I think the lyrics are by Raja. (He had earlier written a book of 'venba's. May it was picked up from that.)

The lyrics are by both Raaja and Muthulingam......

i just re-hashed and revised some of Suresh's nice translation work (doing the first version is tough, subsequent versions are easy -- i would welcome further changes to this version 2.0 of translation)

First stanza:

மாறாச் சுடர் தழுவவே.

You, lazy incarnate,
who washes the body, with water,
and washes your intestine, thrice a day, with food,
Thou have now reached the feet of the Lord,
to wash away the stumbling block (the body),
which had so far prevented you,
from embracing the unchanging light within your heart !

Second Stanza:

சீருரும் தாமரை யாம்.

strung well together by the white boney strings,
is the stinking sac of flesh, all bundled,
and mixed with blood and water,
as the eight jaan (length) body,
This (body) can boast of only one thing......
the memory on the lord,
shining within as the graceful beautiful lotus

Third stanza:

செப்பாமே போகுதே தப்பு.

Clinging on to the umbilical cord,
has this birth emerged,
Where & when did it all start and
when will it all end
Who can explain?
On the unpaved rotten path,
this wrongful event (of birth & death)
is continuing unabated....

Fourth Stanza:

தம்மபயம் எந்தருளை தா.

On this ship of sin (this body),
we started somewhere,
we are struggling on our journey,
totally bound,
by the bonds of this 'samsaric life',
The heat of our sinful journey is
chasing us,
Lord, please shower us with your saving grace !!

Sureshs65
19th August 2011, 06:45 PM
Lovely Vel. Earlier I had a problem getting the meaning of a few words, after your translation I get it. Thanks.

Plum
19th August 2011, 06:59 PM
Suresh, if I may ask, wherefrom you learnt so much of Tamizh? nAnlAm thakkaNUndu telungu therinji vechukittu adhai ivLO advertise paNNikkaREn. nInga silentA tamizhla veNbA ellAm assault-A translate paNdrInga?

Sureshs65
19th August 2011, 07:29 PM
/Digg

Plum,
I think it is pure interest, that is all. I still have problems with writing in Tamizh, mainly spelling and grammar. I love the language and also love the challenge of translation. BTW, I did read Tamil as a language from 3rd to 10th Standard :) My interest in Tamil literature blossomed quite late.

BTW, I did try and translate some poems of 'Kurunthogai'. I will confess that I had to read all of them twice, with the relevant Tamil pozhippurai and also take the help of Tamil to ENglish dictionary. Stopped after 60 poems due to lack of time. You can read it at your leisure here: http://sites.google.com/site/sureshtranslation/

SoftSword
19th August 2011, 07:48 PM
Softie, it ain't that inconsistent, illa? On the contrary, the brooding, ‘please redeem this low life’ tone is quite consistent, me thinks.
And casual and folksy aa? Please essplain’nga.

by casual, i meant the nadai... mudhal rendum oru pazhuttha kavignan ezhudhuna maadhiri irukku... நன்கிணைத்து கட்டிவைத்து, சீருரும் தாமரை யாம், etc.,
matra rendulayum konjam graamatthu kavignanoda nadai... like தொப்புள் கொடிபுடிச்சி, தொத்திவந்த, எப்ப, etc.,

if only u can understand wat i mean.

mattha rendum oru gramatthu kavignanoda nadai'yila irukka...

Nerd
19th August 2011, 07:50 PM
venki,
+1. For example the thoppuL kodi pudichu (should have been pidiththu to be consistent with the first 2 stanzas). And the eppa thodangiyadhO does not sit well at all.

Kaattu vazhi is the clear winner in the album. Bloody brilliant. Though Mavicka V had sung neeral udal kazhuvi well, its a Raja song. He should have sung it. Enna Pol / Unnai Pol are sort of OK, the other two are forgettable.

venkkiram
19th August 2011, 09:32 PM
Though Mavicka V had sung neeral udal kazhuvi well, its a Raja song. He should have sung it. இப்படி விமர்சனம் செய்வதால் "கூட்டுருவாக்கம்" என்ற முயற்சியின் பலனே தெரியாமல் போய்விடுகிறது. ராஜா குரலில் நன்றாகவே இருக்கும். அதே வேளையில் மற்ற தேர்ந்த பாடகர்கள் செய்தாலும் நன்றாகவே இருக்கும் என்பது என் தாழ்மையான கருத்து. அம்மா என்றழைக்காத உயிரில்லையே பாடல் வசதியாக ராஜாவே பாடி முடித்திருக்க வேண்டிய இன்னொரு அம்மா பாடல். ஆனால் யேசுதாஸ் பாடிய வடிவமும் அழகா இருந்தது. மா.விநாயகம் சிறந்த பாடகர். தமிழை கணீரென்ற குரலில் உச்சஸ்தாயில் பாடக் கூடிய பாடகர். நீரால் உடல் கழுவி பாடலின் உணர்வை சரிவர வெளிப்படுத்தியிருக்கிறார். இந்தப் பாடலை இவர் பாடியிருக்கலாம் என்ற பார்வை ஒரு முற்றுப்புள்ளியில் நிற்கவே நிற்காது. கமா வைத்தால் போல, போய்க்கொண்டே இருக்கும்.

Sureshs65
19th August 2011, 11:43 PM
I am fully with Venki here. I can't think of any other voice doing justice to this song after hearing Manicka Vinayagam. The way he has controlled the expression, the way he was able to hit the right registers, the overall feel he could get to the song are terrific. Some voices have an unique quality. Manicka V's voice is one of them. Not the best voice around and in other songs I have heard him struggle, but in this song his voice fits to a 'T'. Absolutely no complaints and should appreciate Raja for this selection.

irir123
20th August 2011, 04:36 AM
Shri Rama Rajyam - ok ok got it now - in the song "seetharama charithram", 45 seconds before "yendhuku ee parikshaa", the segment strongly resembles "yemmayey aanda ...immaiyey ennai chikkene pidithu.. engezundhu aruluvadhiniyey" from "umbarkatkarasey" from TIS !!

anyone else noticed the same ?

this man has got some creative juice in him to use two different melodic motifs from the same source but for a shaivite song as well as a vaishnavite song!

irir123
20th August 2011, 04:50 AM
the next one : "devulle mechindi" is a briliant derivative of "vetri vetri yendru sollum koyil mani" from Kattumarakkaran - the part "inthantha shukha shanthi" is a close cousin of "ninaikAdha pirivum
nilaikAmal vilagum " and the following part is a close cousin of "idhu nedungala payanam" from vetri vetri!

IR's music is like solving SUDOKU puzzles indeed!

V_S
20th August 2011, 10:13 AM
Goddess Saraswathi playing veena, Lord Ganesha playing mridangam, Narada maharishi and Saraswathi singing in praise of Lord Rama and Goddess Sita with floral tributes from all over heaven and earth, when HE ascends the soorya vamsha throne of great Ayodhya for Pattabishekam. People of Ayodhya join the chant with Rishis of four vedas, devas, deva rishis to sing this Deiveega gaanam. The heaven and the whole world is filled with happiness that they have never seen.

Just when you are praying/flowering praise on Lord Rama, you don't feel he is God, he our charming, innocent child with whom you can play, scold, sing, dance, be with him all the time. That too now he has returned to our own town, just imagine how happy we should feel. It will be infinite. Just the beautiful and divine word 'Rama' is so powerful that everyone surrenders everything in their life and humbles to HIS feet. What beautiful lines!. Rama naamame amrutham. Rama mantrame taarakam. All this beautiful feeling has been excellently and accurately brought out by our by beloved Maestro, Jonnavithula, SPB and Shreya. Maestro's immaculate and unadulterated tune and orchestration brings that ecstatic love towards Rama. Thalaivar's another forte!

Raama mantrame taarakam bhava shakti mukti sandhaayakam
Raama naamame amrutram sri raama keerthanam sukrutham
Ee Raama chandrude loka rakshayani antharathma panike (what a finish!)

This song should be consumed and enjoyed as a whole without picking in parts. Nothing more to say about this song, except that this song and the entire soundtrack has already substituted the suprabhatam at our home.

Cracking start! Rajaness is next to Godliness. :notworthy:

Sureshs65
20th August 2011, 10:30 AM
While everyone is enamored with SPB and Shreya in 'Sreeramarajyam' (and rightly so) I am pleased with Tippu and Shweta. Tippu does a terrific job of 'Kalaya Nijama'. Maybe because he is in awe of Raja, he keeps well within the limits and ensures he has the grip over the emotion unlike SPB who spills it too much in his sad song. The other singer I was very impressed with was Sujatha's daughter, Shweta. In both 'Rama Rama Anu Premamandiram' and 'Idi Pattabiramuni' she gets the inflection right. She brings in the right amount of the folk touch to the song. Compared to that, though Shreya is quite melodious in 'Seetha Seemanthamu' she struggles to get the diction right. Ofcourse, the winner, from the singing point of view, is clearly Chitra. 'Ramayanamu' is probably the underrated of the songs but in my opinion the best song of the album. What a SindhuBhairavi Raja delivers. And Chitra understands Raja's mind perfectly, as if she were his elder daughter, and delivers the right amount of emotion in every line. Her diction of course is flawless. I am sure I will be listening to this song for many a years to come. As one of my friends remarked on twitter, when Chitra goes, 'emamiyya raamaiyya' it is goosebumps stuff.

vel
20th August 2011, 11:44 AM
Lovely Vel. Earlier I had a problem getting the meaning of a few words, after your translation I get it. Thanks.

thanks suresh, you did all the groundwork....i just built on it....

I just noticed three changes...

a) i think it is சோம்ப பிறவி மல not சோம்ப பிறவி மலை....we need to club the ""saeraam"" from next line to the "mala"...மல சேறாம் ...if that is the case, literally that means "this body is a dirty incarnation"

b) a more relevant meaning to செப்பாமே போகுதே தப்பு......தப்பு is the instrument played during death processions...செப்பாமே poguthae....means without telling the truth the instrument is merely playing the music of death....the poet laments that the musical instrument is playing loud, but is not telling the actual truth behind the birth and death cycle....

c) வெம்பினை காத்து வெரட்டுதே எம்மையே - no, i think it is வெம்பினை காத்து கலங்குதே இம்மையே ....means i am boiling, struggling & suffering to save myself in this birth

vel
20th August 2011, 12:24 PM
நீரால் உடல்கழுவி நித்தம்நித மூவேளை...translation
First stanza:

சோறால் குடல்கழுவும் சோம்ப பிறவி மல
மாறாச் சுடர் தழுவவே.

meaning with quotes
You, lazy dirty incarnate (சோம்ப பிறவி),
who washes the body, with water (நீரால் உடல்கழுவி),
and washes your intestine, thrice a day, with food (நித்தம்நித மூவேளை
சோறால் குடல்கழுவும்),
Thou have now reached the feet of the Lord(சேர்ந்தாயே அண்ணலடி),
to wash away the stumbling block (the body - மல சேறாம் இடர்),
to embrace the unchanging light within your heart (மாறாச் சுடர் தழுவவே) !

Second Stanza:

சீருரும் தாமரை யாம்.

meaning with quotes
strung well together by the white boney strings (நாறென வெள்லெலும்பை நன்கிணைத்து கட்டிவைத்து),
packed is the stinking sac of flesh,
mixed with blood and water, all bundled, (நாறிடும் மூட்டைச் சதையொட்டி நீர்க்குருதிச்)
as the eight jaan (length) body, (சேரனதான எண்சான் உடம்பில்)
This (body) can boast of only one thing......
the memory on the lord,
shining within as the graceful beautiful lotus (உன் நினைவே
சீருரும் தாமரை யாம்.)

Third stanza:

செப்பாமே போகுதே தப்பு.

meaning with quotes
Clinging on to the umbilical cord,
has this birth emerged,(தொப்புள் கொடிபுடிச்சி தொத்திவந்த இப்பிறப்பு)
Where & when did it all start and
when will it all end (எப்ப தொடக்கியதோ எப்போ தடங்கிடுமோ)
Who can explain? செப்பவே யாரிருக்கா
On the unpaved rotten path, செப்பனிடா பாதையிலே
this wrongful event (of birth & death)
is continuing unabated....
the drum playing the death music ,
is playing on & on, without sharing us this secret of
life and death.....(செப்பாமே போகுதே தப்பு)

Fourth Stanza:

வெம்பினை காத்து கலங்குதே இம்மையே
தம்மபயம் எந்தருளை தா.

meaning with quotes
On this ship of sin (this body),
we started somewhere, (எம்பாவக் கப்பலில் எங்கோ புறப்பட்டோம்)
we are struggling on our journey,
totally bound,
by the bonds of this 'samsaric life', (சம்சாரக் கடலில் சருகாய் இடர்ப்பட்டோம்)
we are boiling, struggling & suffering
to save ourselves in this birth, (வெம்பினை காத்து கலங்குதே இம்மையே)
Lord, please shower us with your saving grace !! (தம்மபயம் எந்தருளை தா).

San_K
20th August 2011, 12:46 PM
Sri Rama Rajyam

Instant nit (http://www.telugucinema.com/c/publish/movietidbits/sriraramarajyam_aug192011.php)

Veteran director Bapu’s recent films were not so successful at Box-office, so when Sri Ramarajyam was announced, none in trade circles have shown interest. Post the audio launch of the movie, Sri Ramarajyam has suddenly become hot among the trade circles. Reason is simple: the songs are instant hit. Maestro Ilayaraja's soothing and mellifluous tunes for mythological movie, Sri Ramarajyam, are being liked by everyone. Ilayaraja's songs have helped the movie get huge publicity and raised expectations on the movie.

Out of the 14 songs (including bit songs), 5 songs from album have become instant hits: 1. Jagadananda Kaaraka 2. Sita Simantham 3. Evadunnadu 4. Kalaya Nijama 5.Gaali Ningi Neeru

When contacted, Aditya Music, that is marketing the audio CDs, informed us that audio sales are fantastic. “In the recent times, we are witnessing huge demand for audio CDs for this film alone,” Aditya Music representative told us.

SRI RAMA RAJYAM CREATING RECORDS IN AUDIO CD SALES (http://nirupviews.blogspot.com/2011/08/sri-rama-rajyam-creating-records-in.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FCrAeX+%28My+ViewS% 29#axzz1VYCp70iq)

BTW, as Someone said in twitter SRR is NinaithalE Inikkum for Raaja (in telugu)?

San_K
20th August 2011, 01:15 PM
Sri Rama Raajyam Reviews

A true classic (http://www.123telugu.com/audio-review/audio-review-balakrishna-sri-rama-rajyam.html)

Milliblog review (http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2011/08/17/sri-rama-rajyam-music-review-telugu-ilayaraja/)

Review maverickvedam (http://maverickvedam.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/my-review-of-balakrishnas-sri-rama-rajyam-audio/)

Review nirupviews (http://nirupviews.blogspot.com/2011/08/sri-rama-rajyam-audio-review-by.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FCrAeX+%28My+ViewS% 29#axzz1VYCp70iq)

another Review (http://telugu.way2movies.com/reviewssingle_telugu.html?id=146013&cat=17029&tit=Sri-Rama-Rajyam-Music-Review)

a bit (http://www.cinecorn.com/telugu/reviews/music-impressions-sri-ramarajyam.html)

San_K
20th August 2011, 01:27 PM
Controversy

Sri Rama Rajyam-ல் வரும் ‘ராம ராம ராம ராம ராம மந்திரம்’ பல்லவி ‘மச்சினிச்சி வர்ற நேரம் மண் மணக்குது’வின் காப்பி? (http://twitter.com/#!/nchokkan/status/104813163601592320)

Devaraagam
20th August 2011, 02:32 PM
Today back to THANDAVAKONE, I liked the lyric of Unnai pol oruthan too..

"yethu irunthu enna manushan thanithaaney..unakku thunai yaaru un manasuthaaney"

amazing..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th August 2011, 06:10 PM
Controversy

Sri Rama Rajyam-ல் வரும் ‘ராம ராம ராம ராம ராம மந்திரம்’ பல்லவி ‘மச்சினிச்சி வர்ற நேரம் மண் மணக்குது’வின் காப்பி? (http://twitter.com/#!/nchokkan/status/104813163601592320)
S A Rajkumar will be actually happy if he hears this!
"பாஹையும் பிதாஹனையும் தமிழ் இசைக்கு கொண்டுவந்தவர் அல்லவா" :lol:

Devaraagam
20th August 2011, 06:17 PM
Any uniqueness between these 2 songs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFtuT9SiWQU&feature=related

http://www.musiqbuzz.com/telugu/movie/sri-rama-rajyam/songs-download/sri-rama-lera/

V_S
20th August 2011, 11:33 PM
dhool boys have hosted a visu composition of vasantha, pantuvarali mix with Bala's vocal.
http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8193
Thanks a lot vinatha for sharing a wonderful and treasure thread. It was very interesting to read their thoughts (including yours). And thanks again for sharing a rare MSV sir's gem. :D Never heard before. How sad we miss those gems so much.

Sunil_M88
20th August 2011, 11:41 PM
Vel, I really appreciate it for sharing the translation for Neeral Udal Kazhuvi, I can enjoy the song even more now :thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
21st August 2011, 03:46 AM
Shreya pAppavai koRai solla mudiyala. nallA dhAnE pAdi irukku?
appuRam, "kaNNil pArvai"-la illAdha emotionA, nuance-A? pAppA "eeram thadhumbum"-nu solRachE, namma kaNNula eeram thadhumbalainA, namma manushanE illai, amAm!
Well said-nga :)

app_engine
21st August 2011, 04:07 AM
devuLLE mechindi - ShreyA / ChitrA - sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Instantly transported to Anand (90's) (http://www.anandsweets.in/) @ commercial street :-)

vel
21st August 2011, 08:27 AM
Vel, I really appreciate it for sharing the translation for Neeral Udal Kazhuvi, I can enjoy the song even more now :thumbsup:

Happy it helped Sunil.....i thoroughly enjoyed doing it......many thanks to Suresh for initiating it with a very good version...Seeing that sort of made me very eager to polish it a bit....in the process, i got to enjoy playing the song repeatedly on the CD in order to focus on the lyrics ...so double bonus!

baroque
21st August 2011, 09:05 AM
V_S,

There is a CD - MUSICAL RENDEZVOUS S.P.Balasubramaniam, by ORIENTAL RECORDS.

I bought it decades ago.

It has 14 songs, Cd doesn't say music directors details. Only songs and movie names.

This song mani osai.....naalum therindhavan is one of them.

yeah.... Dhool boys are very interesting. :)

IR-yahoo group fellows, Dhool/Tfmpage boys, MSVTIMES guys. :ty:

Vinatha.

inetk
21st August 2011, 10:06 AM
So in a way 'Sreeramarajyam' is different in the sense Raja just decided that he will deliver what is expected by the people. That is one reason everyone is quite happy with 'Sreeramarajyam'. Our expectations have been fulfilled. And to be the contrarian, that is why I am a disappointed, though I am happy with all the songs. (Confusing people is what I do well :lol: )

That's an interesting take. When I played the songs to my mom (in Coimbatore, where I'm spending this 3 day weekend, she offered a comment that seems to reflect what I felt, but did not articulate - that this is a very filmy soundtrack and departs from the conventional 'devotional' sound. For example, I don't think the overall soundtrack is something that may be played in temples - the sound is very cinema sound'ish - in fact most of the tracks have us going to Raja's older songs to look at similarities and cues here and there. That is quite different from how Keeravani may have approached this soundtrack - not saying one is better than the other, but Raja has always been known for Janaranjag'ization of other music forms that were perceived as rigid and rule-based...and from that perspective, he has a fabulous janaranjaga score for this mythological film.

The other persistent doubt, given that my carnatic music knowledge is zilch - what raaga is Sri Rama Lera based on? When it starts, the music gets into some Amirthavarshini, but then, the tune reminds me of (1) Idhazhil kadhai yezhudhum - Lalitha, (2) Rojavai thaalaattum thendral - Panthuvarali/Vasantha?, (3) Andhi mazhai pozhikiradhu - Vasantha? and (4) Raathiriyil pootthirukkum & Putham pudhu poo poothatho - Hamsanandi?. I tend to assume it is largely Hamsanandi, given my limited understanding, but would love to know the predominant raagam this song is based on.

V_S
21st August 2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks again vinatha. :smile: I have read msvtimes forum only few times. As you said, very interesting to read their analysis.

vem
21st August 2011, 11:08 AM
Awesome album! Soothing music to sad hearts! Inspiring music to curious ones!

I'll probably add this to my numerous CD collections of the great IR.

I hope the movie has been taken quite well too and this should set the trend for such movies in Tamil too. For instance, a movie on Arunagirinadhar (even a rehash of the old one) can be a great lesson to the young ones... I have been reading up on him and his life is just awe-inspiring and IR's music for his movie will be a delight.

guhanath
21st August 2011, 11:56 AM
Hi,

Eventhough I am a regular leader of this forum this is my first post

Is it first time duet movies partnering with ilaiyaraja?

Chk this link
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/69982.html

The story is again a cricket related.

--
Guhan

Sureshs65
21st August 2011, 12:48 PM
Karthik,

Yes, it is in that border of 'pure devotional' and 'film music'. As you said, the approach of someone like Keeravani may have been different but Raja to a large extent tends towards the more expected sound compared to his bhakthi albums, where he is even more radical. Having said that, I could see the songs having an impact on a larger audience, one of whom happens to be my wife :) She has not been too enamored by Raja's latest works but feels that this album is nice. And if you are a Telugu, you are bound to like it more due to the lyrics. So I personally see this album reaching out well, both due to the music and the lyrics.

Coming to 'Sree Rama Lera', I am also not sure on the raga. The shades of all the ragas you mention are present though I personally feel the Vasantha / Lalitha feel is more dominant than Hamsanandi. Whatever the ragam, this is one of the catchiest songs in the album and makes an immediate impact with the audience. Again both due to the lyrics and the tune.

krish244
21st August 2011, 12:49 PM
Its for the second time Guhanath. First was "Mayilu", which is complete, but yet to be released.

thanks,

Krishnan

sivasub
22nd August 2011, 11:34 AM
The comparisons that telugu websites are making is two-front. Could these songs better the ones scored for Sri Ramadasu and Annamayya - both scored by Keeravani with Nagarjuna in the lead and Raghavendra Rao behind the microphone. The second thing is more direct - do these songs compare anywhere to Lava Kusa scored by Ghantasala.

In my opinion - if there is one music director who can give his heart out other than IR, it has to be Keeravani. Given that Keeravani is a native telugu, I guess he will have upper hand as far as the lyrical melody is concerned. But when it comes to the range - there's no one to beat IR. That Raghavendra Rao is very commercial even in mythological movies has been proven without doubt.

I think the comparison with Lava Kusa is completely out of place - only similarity is that Bapu directed both the movies and the movie stars members from the Nandamuri clan.

sivasub
22nd August 2011, 03:56 PM
Excellent review of Sri Rama Rajyam here

http://swarajhari.blogspot.com/2011/08/audio-review-sri-rama-rajyam.html

jmahesh
22nd August 2011, 10:21 PM
http://www.sify.com/movies/ilayaraja-is-back-with-a-bang-news-news-liwlXIcdcdb.html
Veteran director Bapu`s recent films were not so successful at Box-office, so when Sri Ramarajyam was announced, none in trade circles showed any interest.

Post the audio launch of the movie, Sri Ramarajyam has suddenly become the hot property in the trade circles.

The songs have become an instant hit. Maestro Ilayaraja's soothing and mellifluous tunes for mythological movie, Sri Ramarajyam, are being liked by everyone.

Ilayaraja's songs have helped the movie get huge publicity and has raised the expectations on the movie.

Out of the 14 songs, 5 songs from the album have become instant hits: 1. Jagadananda Kaaraka 2. Sita Simantham 3. Evadunnadu 4. Kalaya Nijama and 5.Gaali Ningi Neeru

When contacted, Aditya Music, which is marketing the audio CDs, informed us that audio sales are fantastic. "In the recent times, we have not witnessed such a huge demand for audio CDs," Aditya Music representative told us.

app_engine
22nd August 2011, 10:32 PM
Excellent review of Sri Rama Rajyam here

http://swarajhari.blogspot.com/2011/08/audio-review-sri-rama-rajyam.html

dEvuLLE mecchindi..(5/5)
Chitra and Shreya rock

Playback- K S Chithra, Shreya Ghoshal
Sweet, sweeter, sweetest! What else do you expect when two of the very best singers we have in the industry sing together?

Same peeling like mine :-)

:thumbsup:

rooky
23rd August 2011, 05:35 AM
Its for the second time Guhanath. First was "Mayilu", which is complete, but yet to be released.

thanks,

Krishnan

Technically, Raja had scored music for duet movies produced Anthapuram (tamil version) way back.

V_S
23rd August 2011, 06:44 AM
Evadunnadu - Top class stuff! Udambellaam silirkirathu!! I think this would be my pick of the soundtrack, having listened to other tracks a few times. Only mridangam, little bit of veena later and finishing with strings. Maestro has created a simple but divine melody. As many of you have observed, Maestro made it appeal to most by doing a right mix of light classical/folk in terms of tunes and using native/modern instruments, marked by his stamp all over.

But this one is totally different. Pure divine stuff, with very less commercial value (just the ambience/sound clarity). Maestro has kept SPB's vocal very much in front and piercing very much into our ears and heart. It's the tune, lyrics and SPB all the way. Even though I didn't understand the lyrics, just by hearing SPB's pronunciation of certain words, I could feel the supreme quality of lyrics with some pure telugu words. The lyrics fits to the tune perfectly. This is the old yet best way of composing, all concentration on the tune, lyrics and singing. period.

And how many mohanams have we heard from Maestro so far. Where is Andalalo, VaLLi VaLLi, Vaan Meghangale and where is Evadunnadu. Every mohanam is unique. Chanceless, Priceless and Timeless!

SPB's heart tearing singing with perfect sruti, bakthi, bhaavam, diction (as it is his mother tongue, I can never doubt, it's a sin) and most of all his signature even after 40000 songs is not a man's feat. Gifted soul! :notworthy: Long live sir with best of health and keep enthralling us with your magical singing for many many more years to come!

When we climb Tirumala hills either during very late night to early morning especially around 3 to 5, with deep silence around, we could hear some feeble devotional telugu songs over a loud speaker from a long distance may be from the top of hills, but it travels all the way down to just touch our ears. But that volume is just enough to pierce into our heart and soul and get to the mode of worship. This is that song! Could not control my tears!! :notworthy:

irir123
23rd August 2011, 09:37 AM
what happened to Bhavna Talwar's "HAPPI" ?

krish244
23rd August 2011, 10:23 AM
You are right Rooky. Totally forgot about that. I took into account only movies that are produced by his banner "duet movies"
irir123,

Promos for shahid kapoor's mousam is going on. It seems Pankaj kapoor did not want happi to clash with mousam. So hopefully happi will release in a month or so. Let us see.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
23rd August 2011, 10:46 AM
irir123,

I have this suspicion that 'Happi' will only release if 'Mausam' is an happy outing for Shahid Kapoor. It is said that Pankaj Kapoor has focussed all his energies to make 'Mausam' a hit. So we will have to wait and see if it succeeds and if Pankaj Kapoor releases 'Happi' later. Else it will also join the long list of completed films not released having Raja as the MD. 'Padithurai', 'Mayilu', 'SRK'.

Plum
23rd August 2011, 01:01 PM
More thoughts on Sri Rama Rajyam. I actually subscribe to what inetk posted - that was how I imagined the reaction would be from middle-aged(and over) Telugu people.
It is not devotional, in the harmless, mediocre way that Annamayya and Ramadasu by MM Keervani were.
As someone said, fat chance of this being played in temples. It is just out of place for that.

OTOH, you compare it to the original Lava-Kusa, and this one lacks the heavy classicism, too.

The way I look at it is this - and I think this is the correct way to look at this album:

Basically, what if Ramayanam weren't a divine epic? What if it was just a timeless classic that you can adapt to your milieu as a writer? Heck, that's what Kamban et al did, right?

What do you think of when you think of Bapu, the telugu director. I dont know about others, and what his popular reputation is, but I tend to think of what we can call "Teluguthanam". I see that also from rare conversations with in-laws(who are for all practical purposes, Telugu, although Tamil by birth and language spoken at home).

Combining the above two, and the feel of the audio of this album, my take is that this is simply Rama's story adapted to a telugu milieu. They might still call the Kingdom Ayodhya in the movie, and nominally talk about locations right now in UP/Uttaranchal. But I feel that we are going to view Rama as a chakkanaina telugu abbaayi in this movie. I take that back because I cant imagine NBK being chakkanaina. Let's just say telugu abbaayi.

We are watching a version where we are going to follow the story of a telugu abbaayi, much loved by people, exiled and returing in triumph. He is not the divine Rama in Hindu epics. He is merely protagonist of this Telugu epic.

The teluguthanam of the protagonist has been placed above His language-agnostic Hindu divineness is my take.

The audio most aptly reflects that, if that was the intention.

Plum
23rd August 2011, 01:04 PM
Frankly, when you watch the old Lava-Kusa, in tamil or in telugu, you dont feel any nativity. That is still the story of the Uttar Pradesh King told in tamil or telugu.

I have a feeling this one - trusting Bapu here - would have a teluguthanam weaved into it although NBK and Nayanthara smash that hope to smithereens the moment I think of them. NBK, not because he cannot represent Teluguthanam, but because of his limitations and imitations(of his father). Nayanthara - well, she is hardly my idea of a telugu naari. Could have tired someone else. I dont know any young telugu actress who would fit the bill.

If it releases in Chennai, I'd be watching a NBK movie in a cinema hall for the first time.

Sureshs65
23rd August 2011, 03:27 PM
If it releases in Chennai, I'd be watching a NBK movie in a cinema hall for the first time.

Hmm. You in Chennai now and not in 'Aamchi Mumbai'?

Plum
23rd August 2011, 03:38 PM
No, Suresh. In Singara Chennai now.
ooroorA pOgum indha udambu...

K
23rd August 2011, 03:49 PM
No, Suresh. In Singara Chennai now.
ooroorA pOgum indha udambu...

Thanks for reminding the Great song .

rprasad
23rd August 2011, 09:45 PM
I agree with Plum in that this is not be viewed as devotional film at all in the sense that even though Rama is a divine character for us, this is a film about the king Rama and his kingdom after the war . Ofcourse there is devotion for some of the characters in the movie like Hanuman towards Rama. But Rama in this case is a normal king and the songs reflect the story during his time as a king of Ayodhaya. Annamayaa and Ramadasu are typical devotional movies where the central character is a devotee and expresses it through his songs and poems. This is not the case here. So trying to look for devotional element in these songs might not be be the correct way though there is some element of it but is not the predominant theme here.

Plum
23rd August 2011, 10:09 PM
I am not able to pick one song, like many have done, and say this is it = this is the best in the album.
One can leave aside the dhandakam and some of the folk songs. They are apt, add a rich telugu colour and are functionally good.

Leaving aside those, the following are all equally good and inseparable at the top:

Ramayanamu
Gali Ningi Neeru
Sita Seemantham
Sri Rama Lera
Devulle mechindhi
Kalaya Nizama
Sita Rama Charitam
Evadunnadu

V_S - good post on Evadunnadu.

Actually, coming from a doyen of the Telug Film industry, Akkineni Nageshwara Rao - although he is just narrating it as a second-hand info for us as Narada's opinion - the lyrics can also be taken as the doyen's stamp on IR himself

evadunnAdu I LokamlO - who else is there in this world?

I tend to complete that as ANR saying "evadunnAdIlokamlO ee chitrAnikki sangeethamu chEyadAniki I mA Ilayaraja thappa"

jaiganes
23rd August 2011, 10:17 PM
Been busy with the birth of my second daughter.. In the meanwhile had no time for anything.. yet squeezed a little time for Sri rama Rajyam from Raaga site.
Largely template songs - if you are a Raaja fan - yet that is what makes this album a treat. Every song is simple on the surface, yet layers of swara transitions which
show case the best musical instrument in Films - human voice and on that account - the fare is terrific with rich voice talents led by legendary SPB himself. Chitra and Shreya rule their zone with
pitch perfect rendering of "story telling songs" - These story telling songs are difficult beasts - the composer has very little freedom to meander into his/her forte area in these songs typically, but Raaja given the tradition upholder he is, sticks to Vijaya Vauhini studios era conformity to "simple catchy" pallavi charanam structure jaibreaks effortlessly riding on the voices of ShreyaG and Chitraji.
On the orchestral front, it is not totally accoustic, but the synth usage is efficient, nuanced masking in layers of rich violins, doesnt stand out too much to expose the composer's offstump.
Need further more listens to write more.
On the bhaava front, the emotional pain of a "Conquering King - separated from his queen" and that of royal princes and queen separated from their father and spouse is what Raaja has targeted and that has come out spot on without too much of "chest licking".

jaiganes
23rd August 2011, 10:19 PM
@Plum gaaru - "Maa Ilaiyaraaju thappa" from mana vaadus is echoed by mallus and kannadigas alike.
Was there any music composer before Raaja who can claim to similar reputation? Or will there be one from now on?

Sureshs65
23rd August 2011, 10:36 PM
Jai,

Congrats on the new arrival. Nice post. And yes, as you say, Raja is not an external factor in any of the southern language. For all the states he is a 'manavadu' :)

app_engine
23rd August 2011, 10:45 PM
Congrats Jai & very best wishes for the exciting project!

jaiganes
23rd August 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks Sureshji.
Seetha Seemandham - this song - I get a distinct Sudhdha Dhanyaasi feel. A light song that traverses into "heavy" portions in between and the music aptly reflects the character and situations.
After hearing this song, I am beginning to doubt the emotional caliber of the actors involved in this project who can react to such songs. In the hands of bad actors, these songs can lose their steam in picturisation - but Raaja from his side has done a Zaheer by taking more wickets at lesser RPO in his opening bowling - then comes the ominous task of slog over bowling (BGM) to salvage the situation..

V_S
24th August 2011, 12:39 AM
Many congratulations Jai :smile:

Thanks Plum. This is one soundtrack which immediately gets you on your first listen, but that's not all. Few listens will not help for me, will need the rest of the year to completely get the essence of it. Only crossed few songs so far. :smile:

As you rightly explained that these songs are not intended to be purely divine/devotional purpose unlike other films/soundtracks, as these compositions are for a historical king who ruled Ayodhya and his people, but the beauty is Maestro and lyricist has preserved so much sanctity in every composition, that even though they are customized for above (and/or sub-customization as a telugu king :smile:), the divinity aspect cannot be ruled out.

That's where Maestro is different and way ahead from the rest. He caters to everyone's interest, whatever you can grasp from it, grasp it.:-D I certainly hope this year NA for music should got to Sri Rama Rajyam.

AravindMano
24th August 2011, 12:49 AM
//dig - jai - congratulations! //

Plum
24th August 2011, 06:25 AM
V-s, precisely because it isn't mediocrely devotional despite being named sri rama rajyam, the natl award will not be given to this one.

skr
24th August 2011, 06:17 PM
Jai , Congratulations on the new arrival ..

Plum
24th August 2011, 06:46 PM
Ah yes Jai, pAttu mummurathula matter-ai maRandhuttEn. Congrats!

Bala (Karthik)
24th August 2011, 07:30 PM
Congrats Jai :)

V_S
24th August 2011, 07:40 PM
Here are the mandatory requirements for this project:

1. Lyrics were already written for 15 songs.You have to compose tunes for the written lyrics. :shaking:
2. Orchestration prowess should not be shown, even if it is your special skills, as everything should ride on the lyrics and no time for this, as the story/film should progress as the songs progress.
3. This is a historical/classical/devotional film, but it should cater to all the three. No compromise there.
4. There are more story oriented themes, so tunes should not be boring and also tunes should have the depth as in yesteryear songs. Always it should keep the audience in check.
5. All songs should be based on Indian classical/Indian folk. Most preferably South Indian.
6. Rap, pop, rock, jazz etc genres are ruled out. Even WCM is not allowed. :frightened:
7. Need to use only live instruments with occasional synth is permitted, but should be hidden.
8. Singers should sing to perfect diction, no compromise there, as this uses pure language and the film is historical. No screaming allowed. :twisted:
9. Most of all we have only couple of days to meet the deadline.
10. Once the film is shot completely again we have just a week to complete the score. All above requirements are valid for the score as well.:cry2:

Any one can do?

Ada pongappa, Ithu enna manushan seyyara kaariyama. Remba aniyaayama irukku. Kaalam kethudichu. Naan intha vilayattukku varalai.

Plum
24th August 2011, 08:49 PM
V_s - perect except that change indian folk to telugu folk. That seems to be the target

V_S
24th August 2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Plum. I agree. :smile: This one suddenly struck me as I was listening to Sitarama charitam/DevuLLe mecchinde/Sri Ramayanamu. Maestro's hands were really tied, no scope to show his mastery over orchestration/interludes. Only scope he had here was to get the perfect tune for the lyrics utilizing various indian classical raagas with some amicable background. Since this these three songs were story driven, that too in those classical days, absolutely nothing else in it for Maestro. Comparing this one to 'Annanmaar Kathai' which had similar theme of story narration through the song, where he showed all his WCM/Opera/folk skills, here pulls up a blinder without all this. What a contrast!! Absolutely stunning!

app_engine
24th August 2011, 09:20 PM
Comparing this one to 'Annanmaar Kathai' which had similar theme of story narration through the song, where he showed all his WCM/Opera/folk skills, here pulls up a blinder without all this. What a contrast!! Absolutely stunning!

See, V_S, that's why rAsA needed SPB/KSC/ShreyA to do a significant part of the now-big-hit Telugu SRR album.

In aNNamAru kathai, he could play around with a hopeless (IMSO) Madhu B :-)

raajarasigan
24th August 2011, 09:26 PM
வாழ்த்துகள் ஜெய் :d

V_S
24th August 2011, 09:39 PM
I completely agree App. Raja utilizes even a minute opportunity to sneak through in and he eagerly looks for it everytime. That's where the difference lies. Here he needs his best singers to prove his skills and he utilizes at the right time.

Still, he even used new singers to the best possible extent.I cannot stop applauding Anita for her brilliant performance both in Annanmaar kathai and in Sitarama Charitam. Again what a contrasting song and she nailed it perfectly in both the innings. Keerthana though her voice is similar to Shreya, she was too amazing in the same song.

Raja keeps changing the tracks/rhythm and scales in that song every 30-40 seconds. At two places he almost brings the song to a halt (one when sita was taken by ravana, and another when sita was asked to agni pariksha) and picks it up again effortlessly. I could sense around 9-10 rhythm/scale/raaga changes. And those cries from Rama when he searches for Sita, and the shout of soorpanaka when her nose was cut by Lakshmana. How brilliantly he sneaks those pieces in. No time either, he cannot insert it later, everything has to go along with the story. Classy stuff by Thalaivar!!

jaiganes
24th August 2011, 10:48 PM
I am all the more surprised by the absence of any shades of Reethi gowlai - considering how he embellished Sitha raama kalyaanam hari kadha in swathi muthyam with that raaga.
If at all there is some disappointment it is the absence of this raaga along with charukesi from the songs.
Raaja has done quite a few "Lord Rama" numbers before in his career (the ones like "Janaki anuko ledhu" - a sudhdha saveri beauty from Rajkumar - pointed out by raj_musing in his blog), the whole Rama -sita shades in Swathi muthyam etc.,) . It appears as if he sat down with vehemence to not use any of those templates. This album in that way is totally different even from the "Sri Balaji mahathyam" (Ezhumalayan mahimai in thamizh). On this count the album slightly suffers from "melody" quotient a little, but makes up with the innovation and voice arrangements.
After all this is the album in which every listener's long standing dream of hearin Shreya G, Chitra and SPB sing together was realised and sweetness me that was under Raja's baton..
What a dream this?

Sureshs65
24th August 2011, 10:48 PM
V_S,

Fully agree with your assessment. Infact that is what I said in my initial review of this album. It is as if Raja's hands are tied up and still he delivered!! I know the older generation music directions love to tune for pre written lyrics and have done some outstanding work that. For us, it is Raja's imagination of tune that is so important that we miss it in this album. Yet he satisfies us fully in different ways.

As you said, the three Ramayanam songs are superb. The rhythm changes, the tune changes, the voices, the words, everything jells well. I am enjoying the album thoroughly.

V_S
25th August 2011, 12:49 AM
Yes Sureshji. I could not believe in spite of all the limitations, we are getting some blissful tunes in Jagadananda karaka, Sri Rama lera, Kalaya Nijama, Gali Ningi Neeru, Sita seemantham added to those wonderful story compositions.

Nice post Jai!. I too agree Maestro did not stick with earlier templates. But as you said, charukesi should be a very good raaga for this kind of film and situation. Still I thought he could have come up with other new raagas instead of Keeravani, Sindhu bhairavi, Hindolam which we heard a lot from him, but that does not take away anything from enjoying atleast for me. Even though they are same raagas, the treatment offered is totally different and unique!

writeface
25th August 2011, 08:26 AM
I am blown by the variety of music that is on display in this movie. I am glad that it did not turn out to be a mere 'devotional' album!

I hope Rama doesn't pour milk or honey or whatnot over Seetha's belly in any of the songs! (Having seen a few of Balakrishna movies, it is not unlikely)

Plum
25th August 2011, 08:53 AM
Writefac2, that is unlikely as the Director is Bapu, not Raghavendra Rao.

Sureshs65
25th August 2011, 09:08 AM
Writeface,

:lol: As Plum assures us, it is Bapu so you will not get such scenes, however much you may want it :lol:

irir123
26th August 2011, 01:50 AM
'gali ningi neeru' - is strongly close to 'mada vilakka yaaru ippo' from virumandi - same raaga ?

V_S
26th August 2011, 08:28 AM
Sitarama Charitam - A power-packed composition. Not much prelude. In first 30 seconds pallavi-anupallavi is over. The tune in pallavi-anupallavi is so sweet that you don't want to go over to charanam at all. I think the songs starts with Rama, Lakshmana and Sita start their vanavaasam. In just under 2 minutes of song, the story travels too far to Sita abducted by Ravana. Unbelievable!. In next 2 minutes story conveys the strategy being worked between sukreev, maruti and Rama how to get to lanka to get back Sita. First Hanuman goes to meet sita with kanayazhi, and later on, Rama wages war and wins. Next 1:45 minute is where the most important part of the song and most of the time spent on the song, where Rama asks Sita to perform agni pariksha. Beautiful portion in the whole song after pallavi. In last 1.15 minutes, Maestro ends with mangalagaramana Madyamavathi (?). What a lovely and soothing end when Sita passes the test.

The mood in the song switches back and forth brilliantly and within 6.30 minutes Maestro and Jonnavithula finishes four major portions of Ramayana; Aaranya Gaandam, Kishkinta Gaandam, Sundara Gaandam and Yuddha Gaandam. Unbelievable by any means. :notworthy: In all these busy timing, Maestro uses every possible instrument to match the mood. Also Maestro checks the depth of tune at every moment not to dip at any cost. As mentioned earlier every 30-40 seconds he changes the rhythm arrangements and the raagams too. Singers Anitha and Keerthana sang extremely well and supported Maestro. Can't get out of this.

V_S
26th August 2011, 08:32 AM
DevuLLe Mecchinde - Out of the world composition. Unlike the earlier Sitarama Charitam, which has more mood swings, this song has nice good feel to it. It has a beautiful flow like a complete song, as the song describes right from the birth of Rama and brothers till he gets married to Sita (if I am not wrong). So the mood is constant here. Still how Maestro makes it more arresting is a point to note.

Maestro begins the song in folkish style, but later on during first charanam he gives a glimpse of classical touch. In second charanam he opts for bhajan and goes to light classical in third charanam. Last charanam he brilliantly fuses carnatic semi-classical with hindustani punch, before routing back to folk at the end. During the last charanam portions surprisingly the bass lines are clearly heard. The most 'arajagam' part being Maestro using piano/synth interludes which sounds so modern for this composition.

But all the four charanams are so sweet, totally different from each other and equivalent to separate song. During last charanam he changes the scale during 'nee needaka saguninka janaki yanae' and slows down for the first time unexpected. But my most favorite portion of the song is the third charanam. The tune is so absorbing here:

shiva dhanu vadhigo, nava vadhu vidhigo
raguramuni tejam abhayam abhi gadhigo
sundara vadhanam choosina madhuram
nagumo munavelike vijayam adhi gadhigo (fanastic!)

Chitra and Shreya at their best!

V_S
26th August 2011, 08:43 AM
Ramayanamu Sri Ramayanamu - Begins in 'pitchai paathiram yenthi vanthaen' fashion. Absorbing start. I believe the song start itself tells that it is going towards sad end. While Dasaratha arranges for Rama's pattabhishekam Kaikeyi sends them to vanavas and the whole Ayodhya turns dark (amavasya) and people revolt. Jonnavithula brilliantly describes the pattabhishekam arrangements to Kaikeyi sending them to vanavas in just two lines. Briliant! Maestro wonderfully sets the tone and slows down during charanam. The interludes this time is more authentic and conventional to the situation using mridangam, tabla, nathaswaram and veena.

Only complaint about this song is the singing part. Somehow I feel Chitra sings whole-heartedly with that bhakti and sadness, while Shreya singing little casually with smile in her face (at least sounds like that) especially at the beginning. At later stages, she catches up.

You can clearly hear the difference in Chitra and Shreya's singing during these lines.
Adugaduguna thyagamu anuanuvuna dharmamu
anuraagamu anubandhamu anupamaanamu
sahala shell dheera veera varaga bheeeramu (again what a finish to pallavi by Maestro!)

Another haunting portion of the song:
yemmaiyya ramaiyya yemai povaal ayya me memai povaal ayya
Wow! what a sudden change of mood and Chitra dazzles here!

(sorry for my horrible telugu mistakes)

Song to remember for lifetime! These three songs in nested loop! :smile: It will take a while (loop :smile:) to come out of these rare gems.

Three great epic songs for the great epic. Colossal contribution by Maestro. :notworthy:

PS: Still another minor rant. Almost every singer has atleast one or more solo, SPB, Shreya, Tippu, Swetha, but Chitra didn't even have one. She didn't' have much of a chance here except two female duets, where most of the time they sing together. Little disappointed there.

Plum
26th August 2011, 12:10 PM
V_S - lovely posts. Actually, among the biggie songs of the movie, these 3 are the most difficult ones to compose AND even *appreciate*. I personally find functional songs like this very difficult to appreciate. As might be understood by old-timers like suresh65, I tend to like songs that encapsulate a single moment/emotion/event and linger over it slowly and deliberately.

To take that template, and give 3 songs like this that tell the story, linger over emotions, ever too briefly, but still manage to attract a listener like me, now that's the Maestro's talent.

A couple of weeks back, I was randomly browsing thiraipaadal, and consquently, early mornings used to start with riffs of songs like "jaganamaganajam" and "atha atha atha" from aval appadi thaan(more about it later) in my head. Interesting songs, those, but not what you want reverberating in your head early in the morning and through the day. Sri Rama Rajyam has been a strong anti-dote to that tendency, and over the last few days, mornings tend to start with some or other phrase from these 3 songs. Nice.

Today's phrase:
kodhaNdaPaniy-A dhaNdakAruNya-muna
kolu-vuNdE bhArya-thO niNdu-gA....

Even if you are an atheist, try avoiding a picture of a Rama-Sita darsanam amid the dhandakaranyam jungle while listening to that. And come back to me if you dont find tears rolling down the eyes.
(Rajasaranam, I am looking at you :) )

Plum
26th August 2011, 12:12 PM
Yesterday's phrase was:
endhukku ee pareeksha, evarikki ee pareeksha

Those two new singers, Anita and Keerthana, are finds. idhukku pEru dhAn modhirakkaila kuttu,
Shreya poNNu, you finally have competitionmA

Plum
26th August 2011, 01:21 PM
A word on Shreya pAppA. I think any expectation that she'll sing like Chitra are unfair. The whole point about two singers for that song is to provide a contrast in style, and add a layer of appreciation to the song. I think she did a fair job. Obviously, Chitra brought in all her experience and knowledge of Telugu* but I dont think Shreya did an average job. She was very good. Just that Chitra was *great*.

* Although this isn't confirmed via any interview, I believe she is proficient in Telugu based on her perfect pronounciations, and correct employment of emotional cues in her songs in Telugu over the years. You wouldnt really think that she is not a telugu native from her singing, contrasting violently with jesu aNNA, one phrase of whose singing in Telugu is enough to convince you that he hasnt ever picked up the language.

Plum
26th August 2011, 01:55 PM
V_S - with your permission, can I suttufy your posts to Telugu Songs & Lyrics thread?

rooky
26th August 2011, 04:50 PM
Audio Memory card releases for Sriramarajyam. Haven't heard of anything like this before..

http://www.sify.com/movies/sri-rama-rajyam-memory-card-released-news-news-lizoJ9djedh.html

rajasaranam
26th August 2011, 05:36 PM
Even if you are an atheist, try avoiding a picture of a Rama-Sita darsanam amid the dhandakaranyam jungle while listening to that. And come back to me if you dont find tears rolling down the eyes.
(Rajasaranam, I am looking at you :) )

Hmmmm.... Ennaiya yenyaa paakuraa! I've been playing the songs of SRR in loop day & night that even my wife is doubting whether I became a believer :D Won't happen in this lifetime I know :)
I have a god which can not be replaced and thy name is 'Ilaiyaraaja', thats the closest I can get to being a theist. Apart from that Iam immensely enjoying the lyrical/language beauty of telugu (though I understand very little) and the rich music with which its has been adorned by Raaja. Oh yeah... the Mythology Ramayana does move me due to the way it has been presented by these stalwarts!

jaiganes
26th August 2011, 06:24 PM
Hmmmm.... Ennaiya yenyaa paakuraa! I've been playing the songs of SRR in loop day & night that even my wife is doubting whether I became a believer :D Won't happen in this lifetime I know :)
I have a god which can not be replaced and thy name is 'Ilaiyaraaja', thats the closest I can get to being a theist. Apart from that Iam immensely enjoying the lyrical/language beauty of telugu (though I understand very little) and the rich music with which its has been adorned by Raaja. Oh yeah... the Mythology Ramayana does move me due to the way it has been presented by these stalwarts!

chinna vayasula kambar kazhagam programme edhaachum DD la paaththadhundaa neenga?
Kamba rasam appdinnuvaanga. character detailingla king kambar - avarukku coach valmiki..

rajasaranam
26th August 2011, 06:58 PM
...'Mounam kooda madhuram'

rajasaranam
26th August 2011, 07:04 PM
chinna vayasula kambar kazhagam programme edhaachum DD la paaththadhundaa neenga?
Kamba rasam appdinnuvaanga. character detailingla king kambar - avarukku coach valmiki..

Romba Boring'nnu appellam Paarkrathu illai! Now that Iam reading about the literary beauty of Kamba Ramayanam here & there, from hubbers like PR and others, Iam inclined to go for a full read anytime soon :-)

V_S
26th August 2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks Plum. Yes as you mentioned, these three songs are the most difficult to compose. As Jai mentioned, These are the kind of songs and films which makes us remember those greatest legends like Vaalmiki, Kambar and everyone and even gets us back to reading those epics. We should make these kind of movies frequently.

"To take that template, and give 3 songs like this that tell the story, linger over emotions, ever too briefly, but still manage to attract a listener like me, now that's the Maestro's talent."
Exactly! Very well said Plum and an excellent post.

There are some excellent lines penned by Jonnavithula and equally appreciated (gives the tune for the lyrics which stands up) by Maestro as the ones you described.

Regarding Shreya no doubt about her talent or diction. Already conveyed she is the legend in the making. Just that those three lines in Sriramanayamu song could have been little serious (strictly IMHO). But the same three lines she sang at the end, no complaints there.

It's a great pleasure and honor to me to transfer my post to telugu songs and lyrics thread. :D

Also If I may ask you/Sureshs65/raagas to translate the evadunnadu song for me in that thread. SPB's 'ganeer' voice and depth and precision in his singing, takes that song to everest.

Plum
26th August 2011, 10:40 PM
Writeface, your wish might come true, afterall. Mohan Babu is producing Ramayana to be directed by Raghavendra Rao : )

Sureshs65
27th August 2011, 12:07 AM
irir123,

Yes. I too found the similarity between 'mada vilakke' and 'nela ningi' song. I think it due to two things. The raga being similar and both of them are sad songs but employ a very vibrant beat in the background.

Sureshs65
27th August 2011, 12:12 AM
V_S,

Wonderful posts about those three. Just got back after a hectic trip to Tirupati. Will try and translate it tomorrow. On the bus and my walk up to Tirmumala and coming back by bus, it was SRR all the way. Well, I should take back my earlier words that Jonnavithula's lyrics were not great. He has done a terrific job by giving us simple but effective lyrics. Nothing high flown here but they have immediate impact on the listeners. (Ofcourse I would still have loved to see what Veturi would have done here. )

I agree with your assessment about Chitra and Shreya's singing. I think irir123 also made this comment. And it is exactly those places that you mentioned that I too felt the difference. And yes, I would have loved if Chitra had a solo. But all said and done, this film probably has the best singer selection of all Raja films of late :) No controversy at all.

In Tirupati I heard these songs being played in a couple of CD shops.

V_S
27th August 2011, 12:28 AM
Sureshji!
Thanks and What a perfect time to walk to Thirumala with SRR audio just getting released. I am really jealous of you. :D: It should be a tremendous moment. It's been more than 10 years since I walked (even visited) to Thirumala. :sad: Good to hear the shops playing SRR. I believe this is the first time an IR soundtrack getting more prominence after in 80s/90s. This is a mighty one!

AravindMano
27th August 2011, 01:22 AM
But all said and done, this film probably has the best singer selection of all Raja films of late :)

Should agree. I disliked most of the new voices he has been using recently.

But we still have Sriram Parthasarthy in this album. I just don't get why Raja uses him.

sivasub
27th August 2011, 08:54 AM
Here's the link to lyrics. Will try translating Sri Rama Lera this evening

http://www.lyricsintelugu.com/search/label/Sri%20Rama%20Rajyam

Plum
27th August 2011, 10:13 PM
Just realised this - it is Mohan Babu producing the Raghavendra Rao Ramayanam. Who would be the MD? His friend IR or Rao staple Keeravani? Or big-budget spl Rahman?

irir123
28th August 2011, 10:53 AM
Just realised this - it is Mohan Babu producing the Raghavendra Rao Ramayanam. Who would be the MD? His friend IR or Rao staple Keeravani? Or big-budget spl Rahman?

Raghavendra Rao staple was IR during the 1980s-1990s! donno why switched over to Keeravani since then !

my gut feeling is Mohan Babu (given his amazing rapport with IR) and Raghavendra Rao (given his earlier thick association with IR), especially after the grand success of SRR music, might seriously consider IR !

Sureshs65
28th August 2011, 11:01 AM
irir123,

One of my friends on twitter stated that Raghavendra Rao may not use Raja because of some reasons. Saying that there were some reasons why Raghavendra Rao was not using Raja. He didn't elaborate on it. But in the 'Om Shanthi' CD release function they appeared to be in good terms. I am not very hopeful. I think Raghavendra Rao would go with Keeravani.

Plum
28th August 2011, 12:20 PM
I have also heard some arasal purasal involving Rao and IR. Dont know the exact story. thalaivar EdhAvadhu re-recording bOdhu comment adichuruppAr. Rao mAdhiri commercially succesful directorsku correctA ego-la adhu dhAn adikkum. I personally theorise that KS Ravikumar might also be a similar case in his antipathy towards IR.

irir123
28th August 2011, 08:53 PM
IR venumuney yaaraiyum yerakki solliyirukkamaattaar! ivanga edhavadhu thillu millu (like how KB used MSV's bit pieces for puthu puthu arthangal without asking IR!) senjiruppaanga! IR is very straight forward and says things on the face! thats not something well-appreciated in the industry, i guess!

jaiganes
29th August 2011, 01:06 AM
irir123,

Yes. I too found the similarity between 'mada vilakke' and 'nela ningi' song. I think it due to two things. The raga being similar and both of them are sad songs but employ a very vibrant beat in the background.
when i try singing this pallavi, i somehow end up in "nee thoongum neraththil" from that disaster of a movie - Manasellam.

V_S
1st September 2011, 01:33 AM
Sri Rama Lera Oh Rama - Mirattal composition

I could not believe this song was composed for a written lyrics. So much depth in the composition and through this song Maestro proves again that he could bring the majestic and rich orchestration even with the limited scope. Grand opening with violins and flute. Imagining if it was live flute, how grandeur this could have been.

Sriram Parthasarathy sings just one line alone in pallavi and one line in charanam, otherwise he sings along with Shreya which is quite a good relief. But Shreya sings fully the second charanam alone. :D

While the first interlude brings the grandness with divinity with the crash of cymbals with veena, mridangam, Flute and violin, second interlude is just grand with some heavy violins. The first interlude with cymbals and veena definitely goes to 'sorgavaasal thirappu' dharisanam or it takes back to old films where the vaikunta doors opens and we witness the 'anantha sayanam' of Thirumaal.

Some landmark areas in the song.
1. The humming by Shreya before the start of 1st charanam, Oh my God, stunner!.
2. Maestro using Ghatam for pallavi, mridangam for 1st charanam (which starts during the 1st interlude) and Tabla for the second charanam.
3. Two different charanam as crvenky pointed out. First one with both singing together has the bhakthi while the second one has a hint of pathos.
4. Changes in raagam as every one pointed out, but it was seamless with no jerks.
5. Listening to extensive Veena after a long long time in every Maestro's composition.
6. Lyrics, even though I didn't understand, it seems like I got the whole theme, that is important. I can feel some beautiful lines, I loved these lines in second charanam. See every line in second charanam ending with 'ma'. Very structured, effective, sweet lyrics and Maestro brings out the beauty of lyrics with every effective tune. Shreya takes the sweetness of the tune further high with her breath-taking singing with excellent bhaavam. The humming during the line 'mounam koodaa mathuram', should give her national award.

taamboola raagaala premaamrutam
thamaginchi sevinchu tharunam
sringaara sri rama chandrodayam
prathirehi vaidehi rudhayam
mounam koodaa madhuram mm..mm..mm.
samayam anthaa saphalam
ithi raama prema lokam
nila saaki pova sneham
inthu lone moksham
rathi chindrulinka saksham
yeh naadu veedi pone bandham

Every line in second charanam is amrutham. Great lines 'sringaara sri rama chandrodayam' and RS favorite line 'mounam koodaa mathuram'. And Maestro tunes in such a way that we can be immersed in the beauty of Rama. Nothing compares to the beauty of Rama, only himself.

May be I told everything about the song as landmark areas. :smile: It's totally a Shreya song and she gave a knockout performance. I am becoming big fan of Jonnavithuala's lyrics and I am clarifying whatever I can with my Telugu friends here and I am amazed at his skills. :notworthy:

Maestro takes the biggest credit for doing justice in pulling out this ever sweetest tune and orchestration out of the superior and deserving lyrics.

Sotta sotta thEnai parugum anubhavam. Sweetest song of the whole soundtrack.

Sureshs65
1st September 2011, 01:08 PM
V_S,

'Sreerama Laera' is now my wife's favorite composition. Lovely writeup. The line towards the end, "Sreeramunu rasavedam, seeta sati anuvadham'

V_S
1st September 2011, 08:55 PM
Yes Suresh ji. Those are another beautiful lines and composed elegantly.
Every line in this song is worth an analysis and every line has its own sweetness. Not one second in this song we can say, it's not that sweet.

In pallavi, I always sing these lines to quench the sweet thirst:-)
"sugunalanu kaliginchi hrudayalunu veliginchi, maa janmamu dhanyamamu cheiyyumura" and the humming by Shreya to finish this line. Sweeter than honey!

The last line of 2nd charanam. 'yeh naadu veedi pone bandham' Thalaivar pinnittaar andha edathula. After this, Shreya extends with 'aah..ahh' humming to connect to pallavi. Stupendous!

When finishing with pallavi at the end, as you said, some mesmerizing lines...
sreeramuni anuragam seeta sathi vaiboham
sreeramudu rasavedam sri janaki anuvadham

I memorized the whole song :smile:

After this he surprisingly uses the same last line 'yeh naadu veedi pone bandhamu' to finish the pallavi, as used in 2nd charanam. But hear the difference when Shreya sings 'yeh naadu veedi pone bandham aah..aah' in 2nd charanam and here. 'yeh' would be little shorter and 'naadu veedi pone bandham' would be projected, extended and elongated more in 2nd charanam and that gives the scope to include aah..aah humming there. What sweetness!

While at the pallavi end, 'yeh' and 'naadu veedi pone bandhamu' all have same length, and observe the last word 'bandhamu' vs just 'bandham' in 2nd charanam. Here she extends 'bandhamuuuuuuu...'. Aaha! Thalaivaa! onnum sollamudiyala, just shaashtaanga namaskaaram. :notworthy:

Sureshs65
1st September 2011, 11:03 PM
V_S,

Lovely writeup again. vitta azhudhuveenga pola irukku :D

vel
2nd September 2011, 01:07 PM
please get your original CD of this wonderful album......(if you just listen online, you will go to vanavaasam for 14 years)

Given below link is a good link, it talks sensibily about the songs and details like Ragas used in Sri Rama Rajyam - nice review here, i guess the reviewer got the tippu song wrong but guys, get a copy of this rocking album...Where are the arrogant idiots who said Raaja has lost his touch???

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EqfmTksfHbsJ:swarajhari.blogspot.co m/2011/08/audio-review-sri-rama-rajyam.html+sri+rama+rajyam+raga&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

raagas
2nd September 2011, 01:33 PM
Vel,

If someone says that Raaja lost his touch, it is not because of arrogance or whatever. It is just a matter of their personal preference. We cannot refute the fact that Raaja's music underwent a change, compared to 70s, 80s, 90s. Some of us could walk along with Raaja and because of that, we are able to identify with his music and also accept the changes. And there are some fans, who couldnt accept. There is siganture raaja all along. Just that, in some albums - it is hidden while in some - it is not hidden. If anything, it could be ignorance but not arrogance.

And this album has raaja signatures all along.. with nothing hidden. I am sure that people who feel that raaja lost his touch, actually like (would have liked) this particular album.

vel
2nd September 2011, 02:06 PM
Vel,

If someone says that Raaja lost his touch, it is not because of arrogance or whatever. It is just a matter of their personal preference. We cannot refute the fact that Raaja's music underwent a change, compared to 70s, 80s, 90s. Some of us could walk along with Raaja and because of that, we are able to identify with his music and also accept the changes. And there are some fans, who couldnt accept. There is siganture raaja all along. Just that, in some albums - it is hidden while in some - it is not hidden. If anything, it could be ignorance but not arrogance.

And this album has raaja signatures all along.. with nothing hidden. I am sure that people who feel that raaja lost his touch, actually like (would have liked) this particular album.

i can understand your viewpoint Raagas......some are really ignorant....But there are others....the ones who use words like "he should better retire or he is getting old etc or they even dismiss a raja album carelessly by just one listen from some online site" etc, i think those are the once i called arrogant as well as ignorant ! Poor them !!!

kameshratnam
3rd September 2011, 07:38 PM
raajakarthik Karthik Raaja
by thirue
Now. From dad. :) yfrog.us/mtd48z