PDA

View Full Version : Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

app_engine
9th November 2010, 02:32 AM
Digression

Marudh will not be marketeable without Rahman, IMO.

Didn't he market dasAvathAram with near-unknown-in-TN entities for music? The budget / expenses (sappAnla irundhu sAckie chAn vandhAha) / sale / revenue etc weren't any less than the original budget of marudh - just that Kamal didn't have to produce it and / or there were no political issues.

Seriously, I don't think Kamal needs ARR for marketing his product, unless he wants to do it in indhi. (Actually inside TN, it's the other way around. I don't think ARR wants to waste his energy with s/o Bagyaraj & s/o Thanu and such for another project any more :wink: )

End-digression

app_engine
9th November 2010, 02:49 AM
One last digression on Plumji's point :-)

Now man's ambu is being marketed without ARR, is it not? With DSP.

Though not possibly of the enthiran proportions, it is still big budget / big price stuff, IMO. Everything being same, replacing DSP with YSR / HJ / GVP / Sruthi / XYZ (includes IR) won't bring it down, will it? Or, will replacing with ARR make it sell at enthiran levels? Highly debatable.

Is the budget of MN such a big number for mu-kA family companies? It's probably not >50% of what they allegedly spent for enthiran.

And they can easily price it proportionately and make money (or claim same numbers and do some "white-wash") :-)

End-digression

genesis
9th November 2010, 04:44 AM
I have an excellent idea. Kamal should sell Marudhanayagam story to Aamir Khan. AK will produce it with ARR music. Shruthi can be the female lead. (Make it part of the deal, when selling the story). Kamal can appear is some guest role (not exceeding 5min in Hindi, may be stretched to 30min in Tamil). There are lot of advantages to this plan.

1) The movie will be marketable and watchable.
2) Producer will make some money.
3) Kamal will get some money.
4) Kamal can "re-enter" Hindi market.
5) Shruthi will get a big movie.

:D

Sureshs65
9th November 2010, 05:26 AM
I think the title of the thread should be changed to, "varaadha padathuku vara pogum isai." Though I must say in this rather arid times (Raja music wise) this is some 'aval' for everyone to munch on :)

I think app_eng has some valid points. I know app has been a person who keenly observes the economics of film making as well. As he says, Kamal's films have been marketed as just that, Kamal films. So having DSP / Shruthi etc does not matter. If they take in Rahman they will get bigger hype but they have will have to pay more as well and probably wait longer to get the music !!! So if the movie gets made we should not be surprised if Kamal chooses someone like Shankar Mahadevan or Vishal Shekar or even Preetam for the music!!! Once you have chosen Himesh Reshamayya, anyone else can only be an improvement!!!

baroque
9th November 2010, 05:41 AM
Aamir Khan already has done MANGAL PANDEY.

Why is he going to be interested in doing a similar show again?

Then taare zameen par & now the production of PEEPLI LIVE.. I am impressed.

PEEPLI LIVE... backed, produced by a big star but acted effectively by not so big names is amazing.
I enjoyed while watching the movie in the theater but later.. the sorry state of affairs really made me sad and thinking...very heavy.
the death of the lone farmer is really :cry: profoundly moving movie.

a good, sensible film doesn't have a high profile music name like Rahman or IR etc.. hype.

for this film
INDIAN OCEAN soundtrack is emotionally touching, folkish, retro...beautiful job :musicsmile: regular folks, commoner can conncet with the compositions and lyrics.

PEEPLI LIVE is India's entry for oscars. Good luck, Aamir!

vinatha.

Sureshs65
9th November 2010, 05:45 PM
Aamir Khan already has done MANGAL PANDEY.

Why is he going to be interested in doing a similar show again?

vinatha.

Very true. Especially given the fate of Mangal Pandey in the box office :lol:

Sanjeevi
9th November 2010, 06:19 PM
~dig

there is a rumour that yuvan is going to do music for MN and also Yuvan also keep on twitting there is a really BIG project in his pipeline yet to be finalised

MumbaiRamki
9th November 2010, 06:32 PM
yuvan for Marudhanayakam that requires probably no songs and full orchestra BGM ???/ DOubt sanjeevi !

irir123
9th November 2010, 07:57 PM
~dig

there is a rumour that yuvan is going to do music for MN and also Yuvan also keep on twitting there is a really BIG project in his pipeline yet to be finalised

trivia for you Sanjeevi: the big project I believe involves a major Hollywood (afro-american) star for a major Hollywood production house

baroque
9th November 2010, 10:14 PM
mmmmm.... I don't follow media kahanies, box office earnings, their interviews, gossips etc... so I don't know.

I am a regular person ....self absorbed with my own life demands and joys. :)

I watched it one time.

not about hit, flop or the producer made money etc...

MANGAL PANDEY has the similar story like MARUDHANAYAGAM as I understand.

unnecessary ...he may not be interested, redundant for him.

After that Aamir khan has given some nice movies like TZP, 3 idiots and the production of Peepli live... I enjoy watching his films.

vinatha.

Sanjeevi
10th November 2010, 01:02 AM
~dig

trivia for you Sanjeevi: the big project I believe involves a major Hollywood (afro-american) star for a major Hollywood production house

is it? looks like a insider news :wink:

irir123
10th November 2010, 06:12 AM
~dig

is it? looks like a insider news :wink:

heard abt it a few months ago - apparently the afro-american actor (known for his histrionic skills as well as star power/charisma) stumbled upon Yuvan's music online and was interested and the approach was made!

Sanjeevi
10th November 2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks irir123 for the news. It will be very good step for Yuvan :way_to_go:

par
11th November 2010, 04:12 PM
[tscii:8c67b7bd4a]
Digression

Didn't he market dasAvathAram with near-unknown-in-TN entities for music? The budget / expenses (sappAnla irundhu sAckie chAn vandhAha) / sale / revenue etc weren't any less than the original budget of marudh - just that Kamal didn't have to produce it and / or there were no political issues.

Seriously, I don't think Kamal needs ARR for marketing his product, unless he wants to do it in indhi. (Actually inside TN, it's the other way around. I don't think ARR wants to waste his energy with s/o Bagyaraj & s/o Thanu and such for another project any more :wink: )

End-digression

That's the point. If he decides to dub it in Hindi, which is a necessity in case of big budget films, he has to join with other known faces in the north. He is not a crowd-puller there, as he is in the south. That’s why he wanted Rahman for Dasavatharam itself.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x909vs_we-wanted-rahman-for-dashavtar-kama_shortfilms
[/tscii:8c67b7bd4a]

The difference between Kamal and Rajini is while Rajini always tries to work with the winning horses, Kamal likes to work with the people who listens to him.

Sorry for the digression.

irir123
11th November 2010, 08:17 PM
[tscii:fe78036958]
Digression

End-digression

That's the point. If he decides to dub it in Hindi, which is a necessity in case of big budget films, he has to join with other known faces in the north. He is not a crowd-puller there, as he is in the south. That’s why he wanted Rahman for Dasavatharam itself.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x909vs_we-wanted-rahman-for-dashavtar-kama_shortfilms
[/tscii:fe78036958]

The difference between Kamal and Rajini is while Rajini always tries to work with the winning horses, Kamal likes to work with the people who listens to him.

RK Selvamani after making 'Uzhaippali" (or was it Pandian ?) was to have done another film with Rajini - RKS insisted on IR, but Rajini was not sure of IR's market value then and insisted on Deva! RKS was adamant on IR and hence refused the film when Rajini wanted Deva coz of the then market value of Deva! I guess the said film was apparently Annamalai which went to Suresh Krishna - and Deva gave us immortal/eternal numbers like 'vandhendaa paalkaran', 'kondaiyyil thazhampoo' etc!

Moral of the story: "one deserves what one gets"

jaiganes
11th November 2010, 10:01 PM
[tscii:40095e65f9]
Digression

End-digression

[/tscii:40095e65f9]

RK Selvamani after making 'Uzhaippali" (or was it Pandian ?) was to have done another film with Rajini - RKS insisted on IR, but Rajini was not sure of IR's market value then and insisted on Deva! RKS was adamant on IR and hence refused the film when Rajini wanted Deva coz of the then market value of Deva! I guess the said film was apparently Annamalai which went to Suresh Krishna - and Deva gave us immortal/eternal numbers like 'vandhendaa paalkaran', 'kondaiyyil thazhampoo' etc!

Ayyya saamee - neenga sarcasm use panniteengo. it is unacceptable in hub - our skins are too sensitive to intelligent sarcasm...
Having said that, we also know that Vasanth refused to do the said movie as he insisted IR and IR was no no for KB (as he was the producer) and hence Deva was roped in. The RKS story comes in for Baasha. By that time ARR had well been established as the replacement for Raaja by market pundits. RKS lost the opportunity to do Baasha but Rajini couldnt get ARR (due to timing) and Deva came in to create history with "Autokaaran" and "Azhagu" songs.
Finally Rajini's desire was fulfilled when he did Muthu for KB and ARR scored.
nyways nothing is lost of gained for anyone, everything happens for a purpose and entropy is stable overall and universe remains in balance.

rooky
11th November 2010, 11:21 PM
Again, as often repeated,...for Rajini and Kamal Movies, are sold only for them, and the value does not cahnge based on the MD, Director, Editor, Cameraman,..etc..One exception can be their combo with Shankar , that would get a increased sale value. (Again let us also remember, shankar need to combine with either of these two stars to get his movie sell better)..

In Reality,the MD combination is not going to alter the sale value any way..it purely is how Rajini/Kamal goes about it.

irir123
11th November 2010, 11:49 PM
[quote=par][tscii][quote=app_engine]

Ayyya saamee - neenga sarcasm use panniteengo. it is unacceptable in hub - our skins are too sensitive to intelligent sarcasm...
Having said that, we also know that Vasanth refused to do the said movie as he insisted IR and IR was no no for KB (as he was the producer) and hence Deva was roped in. The RKS story comes in for Baasha. By that time ARR had well been established as the replacement for Raaja by market pundits. RKS lost the opportunity to do Baasha but Rajini couldnt get ARR (due to timing) and Deva came in to create history with "Autokaaran" and "Azhagu" songs.
Finally Rajini's desire was fulfilled when he did Muthu for KB and ARR scored.
nyways nothing is lost of gained for anyone, everything happens for a purpose and entropy is stable overall and universe remains in balance.

if all of that is true, I can very well understand why IR refuses to do music for Rajini films - even though the 2 of them claim to be friends offscreen! 'thanmaanam' prachhanai here, I guess!

NormalMan
11th November 2010, 11:58 PM
KR was offered Muthu first and IR refused / did not allow KR to do it. Rest is history.

app_engine
12th November 2010, 12:09 AM
if all of that is true, I can very well understand why IR refuses to do music for Rajini films - even though the 2 of them claim to be friends offscreen! 'thanmaanam' prachhanai here, I guess!

For record, IR has done two Rajini movies after aNNAmalai -

ejamAn (RVU reasoned with Rajini to accept IR, though Rajini expressed apprehensions with AVM opposing the choice, in 1993)

& veerA (1994, PA + IR, a combo like 80's in the midst of a big ARR wave! In the success celebration, Rajini's jocular remark on IR enjoying a/c room while the hero struggles in veyyil supposedly promoted a furious reply from IR on stage)

IMO, it's a question of RK not preferring IR as the 1st choice and IR not accepting any offer that comes after someone else rejecting it / not having time to do etc. (hEy rAm was a different case, IR was the first choice anyways).

baroque
12th November 2010, 12:39 AM
ரஜினி opposed the choice of ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா for வீரா & எஜமான் படங்களுக்கா? :roll:
thank you R .V .உதயகுமார் for insisting ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா's மியூசிக் and gave me a nice album to run around with .
படம் ஒருதடவை பார்த்தேன், free DVD when you buy groceries.. I need to eat anyway .
உதயகுமார்'s பாடல் வரிகள், orchestration , singing of ஸ்ரீ.பாலா , selection of ராகாஸ் , mood of the composition etc ..I cherish it. அய்யா truly deserves AC ரூம்.....albums go eternal :musicsmile:
வீரா படம் first half is enjoyable with some funny moments.
வீரா படம் does 't have ரஜினி's that superficial stardom opening song ... தல, பின்னிடுவேன், நான்தான் பெரிய பிஸ்தா etc .. துதி பாட்டு.
even those துதி, நான் பெரிய கொம்பனாக்கும் etc opening songs... true ஹீரோ is ஸ்ரீ.பாலா சுப்பிரமணியம் with his gusto and energy ... folk rhythm.
Dependable ஸ்ரீ.பாலா சுப்பிரமணியம் generously gives life.
:clap: R .V .உதயகுமார் with ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா is my favorite CD :musicsmile:
வினதா.

K
12th November 2010, 07:24 AM

For record, IR has done two Rajini movies after aNNAmalai -

ejamAn (RVU reasoned with Rajini to accept IR, though Rajini expressed apprehensions with AVM opposing the choice, in 1993)

& veerA (1994, PA + IR, a combo like 80's in the midst of a big ARR wave! In the success celebration, Rajini's jocular remark on IR enjoying a/c room while the hero struggles in veyyil supposedly promoted a furious reply from IR on stage)

IMO, it's a question of RK not preferring IR as the 1st choice and IR not accepting any offer that comes after someone else rejecting it / not having time to do etc. (hEy rAm was a different case, IR was the first choice anyways).

First MD for Hey Ram was L.Subramaniam ila?

venkkiram
12th November 2010, 07:32 AM
(hEy rAm was a different case, IR was the first choice anyways). Oh..Is it? I thought the 1st choice was Zakir Hussain, 2nd L. Subramaniam, 3rd IR.

app_engine
12th November 2010, 08:32 AM
Reportedly the first choice was IR, who refused stating that the possible anti-Gandhi sentiments of the movie were not to his liking.

The story of how he got to finally associate with the movie is quite well-known.

AravindMano
12th November 2010, 09:33 AM
free DVD when you buy groceries.. I need to eat anyway .

:lol:

baroque
12th November 2010, 10:22 AM
:D ...good folks

Sureshs65
12th November 2010, 10:41 AM
Since we are anyway quite off-topic from the title of the thread, let me ask a question to the knowledgeable folks here and keep the 'vambu' factor up :D

In a recent interview on TV, the Telugu film director Vamshi made the following comment, "It seems that one big production house, after the music of a film was done, sent a couple of its junior people to pay Raja a small amount. When Raja queried as to why they were paying him so less, they replied saying that their company has decided as per their policy. Raja got furious and said as per his policy he is rejecting the payment." So when Vamshi approached Raja for his next film, Raja insisted on a certain (fairly large sum) as his remuneration before hand itself. Now, Vamshi went on to say that this production house is a big one and still in business. Anyone know which production house he may be talking about?

par
12th November 2010, 12:00 PM
ரஜினி opposed the choice of ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா for வீரா & எஜமான் படங்களுக்கா? :roll:
thank you R .V .உதயகுமார் for insisting ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா's மியூசிக் and gave me a nice album to run around with .
படம் ஒருதடவை பார்த்தேன், free DVD when you buy groceries.. I need to eat anyway .
உதயகுமார்'s பாடல் வரிகள், orchestration , singing of ஸ்ரீ.பாலா , selection of ராகாஸ் , mood of the composition etc ..I cherish it. அய்யா truly deserves AC ரூம்.....albums go eternal :musicsmile:
வீரா படம் first half is enjoyable with some funny moments.
வீரா படம் does 't have ரஜினி's that superficial stardom opening song ... தல, பின்னிடுவேன், நான்தான் பெரிய பிஸ்தா etc .. துதி பாட்டு.
even those துதி, நான் பெரிய கொம்பனாக்கும் etc opening songs... true ஹீரோ is ஸ்ரீ.பாலா சுப்பிரமணியம் with his gusto and energy ... folk rhythm.
Dependable ஸ்ரீ.பாலா சுப்பிரமணியம் generously gives life.
:clap: R .V .உதயகுமார் with ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா is my favorite CD :musicsmile:
வினதா.

Even AVM didn't want Ilaiyaraaja for 'Ejamaan' as they were not in a good terms with him. It is only because of the insistence of RVU, we came to hear gems like Nilave mugam, Oru naalum...

raagas
12th November 2010, 12:00 PM

Is it really so? Can a not-so-big director refuse a Rajnikant film (hence big) just because Rajni wanted another composer. I mean, was that director so particular about IR that he can say NO to Rajnikant? I really doubt! Afterall, it is about a 3 hr film, which he is losing just for the same of 30minute casette (music).

raagas
12th November 2010, 12:07 PM
Since we are anyway quite off-topic from the title of the thread, let me ask a question to the knowledgeable folks here and keep the 'vambu' factor up :D

In a recent interview on TV, the Telugu film director Vamshi made the following comment, "It seems that one big production house, after the music of a film was done, sent a couple of its junior people to pay Raja a small amount. When Raja queried as to why they were paying him so less, they replied saying that their company has decided as per their policy. Raja got furious and said as per his policy he is rejecting the payment." So when Vamshi approached Raja for his next film, Raja insisted on a certain (fairly large sum) as his remuneration before hand itself. Now, Vamshi went on to say that this production house is a big one and still in business. Anyone know which production house he may be talking about?

I have seen/known some people concluding (not even speculating) that it is Ramanaidu's Suresh Productions, but I somehow do not buy that, because they are considered to be "Technician-friendly" (Ramanaidu's philosophy is that nobody in the unit should lose any money). But i am not sure again and i cant vouch. But lot of people assume that it is Suresh Productions!

vel
12th November 2010, 04:33 PM
[tscii:d5ee186c5b]Raja started his musical journey, first as a profession, then a passion and then as a spiritual tool. The spiritual dimension at which he approaches music now is never going to make any sense or one can never draw a parallel of this to today's materialistic / manupulative market environment. We just have to let him be what he is.

Measuring the current IR on a commercial yardstick is like comparing a Kamaraj with a Chavan, a Kalmadi or A.Raja. Kamarajar was not commercially successful either. But Kamarajar didnt take up politics to be commercially successful. The intent is different, the agenda is different, the purpose is different. The Game is played differently.

Ilayaraja recently said: “I am still in this field because I don’t know music. I still have so many things to pass on to the younger generation.” Sounds like another philosophical rant, right? But there are many ways of looking at this statement. It will hit you depending on what category of fan you are.

I think there are 2 distinct categories of fans here and each can rest in peace with their own choices, as given below. Period.
Adha vittuttu raaja'vukku business/marketing ideas kodukaradhu pozhapatha vela. He never asked for our counsel anyways.

category 1 fans - Fans that think Raja is past his peak - this group can probably reconcile / console themselves to the fact that raja is still learning (as admitted by him :lol: ) and does not know music, while the "other MDs" have already mastered the art of music making. So these friends have to wait for the next big kamal-IR venture or a IR - Sony corporation deal to happen, to be happy with IR. Till then, its not a sin for them to have fun with other MDs. Its good to drift away once in a while, just for the heck of it.

category 2 fans - Fans that think Raja has not finished yet or are mighty content with what they already have - This group does not feel hurt by market forces/realities / statistics or even comparisons with "Other MDs" on this basis. To this group of "selfish" fans, they dont want to expect anything more from their idol. They have their bags full already and it will take years to even completely figure out whatever Raja has given already given so far.
[/tscii:d5ee186c5b]

par
12th November 2010, 08:14 PM

Is it really so? Can a not-so-big director refuse a Rajnikant film (hence big) just because Rajni wanted another composer. I mean, was that director so particular about IR that he can say NO to Rajnikant? I really doubt! Afterall, it is about a 3 hr film, which he is losing just for the same of 30minute casette (music).

We will never know the full story, which is understandable. But this is what I gathered through media reports/interviews over the time:

Vasanth was not comfortable doing a full and full commercial movie. (Which may be true. He never did a movie like that in his almost finished career.) So KB had Suresh Krishna flown down from Bombay at the very last moment. Suresh Krishna said in an interview he had no clue about the story or anything and just started shooting. He came to town only 1 or 2 days before the start of the shoot. Which means, the songs might've been finished long before.

app_engine
12th November 2010, 08:49 PM
The only (or main) source for RVU / RKS + IR-Rajini stories is dinathanthi (varalAtRu suvadukaL, which published articles about both RVU & RKS. I remember reading both series).

Just to make things clearer :

On ejamAn (RVU) :

-RVU wanted IR as he had a successful (and only) combo with him till then
-Rajini was ok with that choice. He didn't oppose it but was apprehensive that the producers, AVM, may not approve the choice as they were strongly against IR at that time (moved his room out of their studios, heavily promoted Chandrabose etc)
-RVU still wanted IR
-AVM agreed (possibly grudgingly)

On RKS:

-He wanted IR for a possible project with Rajini
-Rajini wasn't particular about using IR as ARR was the hottest at that point of time
-RKS still insisted on IR but that was not the main issue for the combo not coming through, there were two other major reasons

1. Sensing RKS-Rajini combo, Vijayakanth (or his bosom friend Rawther) announced / advertised a movie with RKS as they didn't want to lose their star director to the main competitor. Apparently RKS is "one-project-only-at-any-point-of-time" director.
2. Some RKS movie bombed badly, nosediving his market value

So, RKS didn't lose the opportunity to work with Rajini by insisting on IR. For that matter, Rajini wouldn't have objected for IR had RKS been signed up.

OTOH, post "Veera on-stage-ladAi", IR would have needed some convincing by RKS :-)

krish244
13th November 2010, 10:02 PM
I think the song Shreya mentioned in her twitter to have sung with Chitra for IR is for the movie "Sri Rama Rajyam"

http://www.cinegoer.com/telugu-cinema/news-archives/november-2010/sri-rama-rajyam-muhurat-on-november-22nd-131110.html

"...Eight songs have already been recorded under the baton of music director Ilayaraja. SP Balu, Sriram, Chitra and Shreya Ghoshal have lent their voice to lyrics penned by Jonnavithula and Vennelakanti...."

thanks,

Krishnan

Nerd
13th November 2010, 10:11 PM

Sindhanai sirpi correct-aa dhaan sollirukaar. Namma makkaL freeyA kuduthaa phenoil kooda kudippaanga :lol:

You could have chosen not to watch it or chosen not to accept that freebie.

Nerd
13th November 2010, 10:21 PM
RK Selvamani after making 'Uzhaippali" (or was it Pandian ?) was to have done another film with Rajini -
RKS made a Rajini film? And that released in IRIR's home theater? Because I never got to see such a film :lol:

Is this *intelligent* sarcasm?

irir123
13th November 2010, 10:44 PM
RK Selvamani after making 'Uzhaippali" (or was it Pandian ?) was to have done another film with Rajini -
RKS made a Rajini film? And that released in IRIR's home theater? Because I never got to see such a film :lol:

am 100% sure abt having read abt in Dinathanthi as well as an earlier newsitem several years ago

baroque
13th November 2010, 11:30 PM

Sindhanai sirpi correct-aa dhaan sollirukaar. Namma makkaL freeyA kuduthaa phenoil kooda kudippaanga :lol:

சிந்தனை சிற்பி or அவர், இவர் சொன்னாருன்னு don 't generalize everybody & everything .
Buy groceries for some amount , you can rent a free DVD .. it is that business ooda tactic to attract customers .
I like the product they sell, so I go to them always, this deal is like discount.
why should I not avail it ...
குப்பை படங்களையெல்லாம் library request பண்ணி free ஆ பார்த்தா தான் - wrong - public tax dollars waste .
let me search for a good title for me to check out a free DVD for this week... I am doing my grocery shopping tonight. :D
. :ty: GOOD FOLKS
Vinatha.

jaiganes
14th November 2010, 09:12 AM

am 100% sure abt having read abt in Dinathanthi as well as an earlier newsitem several years ago
IRIR - the point is Uzhaippaali was P.Vasu's torture of Super * and Raaja and bublik . RKS was not involved in that torture.
What RKS told Daily Telegram was... Roja was working in "Worker" and recommended RKS for Super * and hence came IR into picture in the discussion...

jaiganes
14th November 2010, 09:16 AM

Oho - ippollaam maLigai kadaila naanga enna pannanumgradhu mudharkondu advice thareengaLa? super paa.

Nerd
14th November 2010, 09:51 PM
Meesic forum-la maligai kadaiyila perungaayam vaanguradhai pathi pEsinaal, naanga adhai pathi karuthu solradhula thappEdhum illai.

jaiganes
14th November 2010, 10:07 PM
Meesic forum-la maligai kadaiyila perungaayam vaanguradhai pathi pEsinaal, naanga adhai pathi karuthu solradhula thappEdhum illai.
super paa.

rooky
15th November 2010, 08:00 PM
Nandhalala on Nov26 and Now, looks like Mayilu for Xmas.

http://sify.com/movies/prakash-raj-moserbaer-to-release-mayilu-news-tamil-klpkPEecafg.html

Sureshs65
23rd November 2010, 09:46 AM
A small snippet from a song in 'SriRamaRajyam'. Don't worry if you don't know Telugu. Nothing great is being said. Check out the song which plays in the background. (Got this from a friend in twitter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjDAqxsSbDs#t=3m28s

Sureshs65
23rd November 2010, 10:53 AM
The same friend posted the full song. The recording is not too great but the song is lovely.

http://www.manabalayya.com/player.php?songids=311&filmid=93&

As usual Raja does his trick. The song at one level is very much like the old Telugu film songs used for mythological films. At another level it is a typical Raja song!!! I am sure SPB's fans will be happy to hear him in Raja's music after quite some time.

V_S
24th November 2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks for sharing Suresh65. Lovely song. Divinity is present everywhere in the song as the name suggests. Can't wait to hear the song and this album in good quality. On hearing the first line, it takes me to 'Subhalekha Rasukunna Yadalo Epudo' from Kondaveeti Donga. Is it only me?

Love to be in this forum with our great Maestro, his music and you people!!

raagas
24th November 2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for sharing Suresh65. Lovely song. Divinity is present everywhere in the song as the name suggests. Can't wait to hear the song and this album in good quality. On hearing the first line, it takes me to 'Subhalekha Rasukunna Yadalo Epudo' from Kondaveeti Donga. Is it only me?

It is not only you. Blame it on Maestro, for using Suddha Dhanyasi in both songs, thus teasing you with recollections. :-)

rajasaranam
24th November 2010, 01:52 PM
It is not only you. Blame it on Maestro, for using Suddha Dhanyasi in both songs, thus teasing you with recollections. :-)

Iam being reminded of some devotional already heard but cudn't place it. the closest I came to was 'valaiosai kalakalavena' & 'athikalaiyil sevalai' from 'nee varuvaay ena' are these too of the same raaga?!!

Sureshs65
24th November 2010, 03:35 PM
The song is indeed in Suddha Dhanyasi and so you may feel the effect of various songs like 'malayil yaaro', 'subhaleka'etc. Very soothing song. I think 'valayosai' could also be the same scale.

vel
24th November 2010, 05:11 PM
sudhadhanyasi indeed it sounds like. But valaiyosai kalakala vena is a very different animal than sudhadhanyasi - it is sindhu bhairavi.

vel
24th November 2010, 05:12 PM
valaiosai kala kalavena was meant to be added as one of the numbers in the 'nothing but wind' album - it would have been an mind blowing orchstration piece if it had gone to the album....Kamal stole it for his film :)

crvenky
4th December 2010, 12:42 PM
IR's next release, probably - Chutti Chathan (3D remake of My Dear Kuttichathan)

http://sify.com/movies/kutty-chathan-makes-a-comeback-news-tamil-kmejKUbccdj.html

rajasaranam
4th December 2010, 03:17 PM
IR's next release, probably - Chutti Chathan (3D remake of My Dear Kuttichathan)

http://sify.com/movies/kutty-chathan-makes-a-comeback-news-tamil-kmejKUbccdj.html

...while Madan Karky has written a new song for the film which has music by Ilayaraja.

Not fossible :D

NagaS
4th December 2010, 07:04 PM

...while Madan Karky has written a new song for the film which has music by Ilayaraja.

Its true that Madhan Karky has written lyrics for an old IR tune. I guess rest of the songs are tuned by some other MD. Means, You can't really call this an IR film :)

NagaS

irir123
4th December 2010, 09:12 PM
what happened to the Marathi film for which IR toured Maharashtra to get a feel of Marathi folk music ??

thumburu
7th December 2010, 02:58 PM
Haasini pesum padam on jAYA TV has Suhasini singiing all praises and gushing a lot about "Nandalala" and regarding Raja's bg score she says it is extraordinary . Few visual clips shown have music that melts me and I would like to simply hear the movie with my eyes closed [ Iam not too fond of these kind of movies/ nekku film taste kammiyonno!!!] .hm.... indha bengalurukku yeppo thaan vidiyumo

Sanjeevi
7th December 2010, 03:11 PM

Its true that Madhan Karky has written lyrics for an old IR tune. I guess rest of the songs are tuned by some other MD. Means, You can't really call this an IR film :)

NagaS

Also I remember Karky said that they are going to re-use IR's BGM of MDKC.

Is not it?

rooky
19th December 2010, 09:05 AM
NO info on how it was done..but officially "Chutti Chathan" is Raja's next release with lyrics by MadhanKarki :). (as per the print ads)

This movie is releasing next week

irir123
20th December 2010, 02:16 PM
Watched Nandalala - will need some time to gather my thoughts/feelings/reactions to IR's score!

the score left me with feelings from the days of Geethanjali (Telugu) - and the film itself deserves a special review

vel
20th December 2010, 03:32 PM
rooky, this week kumudam says it clearly. Raja's tunes are being used with madan karky's lyrics...for example, kumudam quotes that chella kuzhandhaigale lyrics is changed to "kutti chaathaan naan dhaan da", "naan ungal nanbenda" ! The article also says raja's orchstrations for the songs are being revised (!) to suit today;s music trend....God knows what kind of butchering they will do in the name of 'remix'...

rooky
20th December 2010, 05:43 PM
hmm. If they are remixing and re-arranging music, then the one that is doing that should be the MD for this version of the movie.

But the ads say Illayaraja as Music Director and hope he is atleast aware of this :)

Sureshs65
6th January 2011, 10:50 AM
Well, still no news of when movies like 'Padithurai' or 'Azhagarswamy Kudhirai' will release. The only 'new' release as of now is 'India 24 Hrs'. I call this new release because this is the first time it has been released widely. When you can get it in Bangalore, I consider it to be 'wide' release :) I had been searching for this album for a long. The only recourse was to 'thiraipaadal' or to the clips that CRV had loaded in his blog.

The CD has excellent production values. I should say I am mightily impressed with the art works of Agi Music. This one has a white cover and looks very neat. The recording quality is top class.

The album is made out of 17 short instrumental pieces. The longest piece is less than 5 min duration. The whole thing was made to go along with the visuals but they do work as standalone pieces. I can't pick one over the other. Each one is lovely. There are quite a few places where the flute plays some very touching tunes. The album is made up of lot of real instruments and some synthesizer. If you understand that the pieces were made for certain visuals and you are ok with short instrumental pieces, then this album is a must-have. What I mean is, don't expect a NBW or HTNI here.

Thanks to Agi Music for getting this out. My feeling is that they will reach a wider audience if they are able to somehow bring down their prices.

app_engine
7th January 2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks to Agi Music for getting this out. My feeling is that they will reach a wider audience if they are able to somehow bring down their prices.

I think by buying Agi stuff one can possibly be sure that IR personally gets some royalty.

May be a nice way to show the maestro some personal gratitude. That is, after enjoying his music either free of cost or paying dubious sources like the recording-center-wala etc for years, but never the original composer:-)

Let's hope this Agi guy has ethical business practices!

vel
7th January 2011, 01:42 PM
a new album news - na.muthukumar said on the Yuvan show in vijay TV that he is writing the songs for IR in kalaingar's Ponnar Sankar.

rajkumarc
12th January 2011, 03:06 AM

I think by buying Agi stuff one can possibly be sure that IR personally gets some royalty.

May be a nice way to show the maestro some personal gratitude. That is, after enjoying his music either free of cost or paying dubious sources like the recording-center-wala etc for years, but never the original composer:-)

Let's hope this Agi guy has ethical business practices!
Well said app. That's one of the reasons for me buying IR's albums (HTNI, NBW, India 24 hrs) and other IR compilations from them. The recording quality is very good on all the CDs I bought from them. They even have albums available on iTunes & CDBaby now and it's more convenient to get IR's gems through legal means.

k_vanan
13th January 2011, 12:25 PM
Sun Pictures to fund Mani's Ponniyin Selvan?

2011-01-13 09:12:33
Last Updated: 2011-01-13 09:16:41

Investment in Singapore?Ads by GoogleTrust The Business Reports by SG Government ACRA Database. www.Biznet-Global.com/Bankruptcy

The Kollywood grapevine is abuzz that Sun Pictures are going to produce Mani Ratnam's next project in Tamil Kalki's magnum opus Ponniyin Selvan, a period drama!

It is said to be a big budget extravaganza which industry sources say would cost a whopping Rs 200 Crore plus. Jayamohan is said to be penning the dialogues, which would be a full –fledged adaptation of the novel. There are strong rumours that Ilayaraja may team up again with Mani.

Ponniyin Selvan, is a fictionalised account of Chola King RajaRaja 1 and one of the greatest works of Tamil literature, penned by arguably the most celebrated writer, Kalki. The star cast and other details are being worked out on the film which is in pre-production.

Sify.com

MumbaiRamki
13th January 2011, 05:16 PM
k_vanan ,
No way IR will be the MD !

Fliflo
13th January 2011, 06:23 PM
http://tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2011/jan/130111a.asp

MR & IR Combo possibility? :?:

raja_fan
18th January 2011, 10:43 PM
I got personal update from Jeyamohan. Discussions are on for Ponniyin Selvan. JM has not been confirmed yet. Likewise Mani approaching IR is just a rumour as of now.

San_K
18th January 2011, 11:25 PM
I got personal update from Jeyamohan. Discussions are on for Ponniyin Selvan. JM has not been confirmed yet. Likewise Mani approaching IR is just a rumour as of now.

Thanks for showing some 'Neruppu' :)

Fliflo
22nd January 2011, 09:03 AM
http://cinema.dinamalar.com/tamil-news/3288/cinema/Kollywood/Ilayaraaja-enters-film-distribution-with-Sengaathu-Bhoomiyile.htm

vem
23rd January 2011, 06:08 AM
http://www.facemaza.com/blog/2011/01/17/mani-ratnams-ponniyin-selvan-a-huge-budget-film/

vem
23rd January 2011, 06:09 AM
I hope this doesn't turn out like Pazhassi Raja -- in which IR composes several good songs and the director later cuts a few from the movie

jaiganes
23rd January 2011, 07:10 AM
I hope this doesn't turn out like Pazhassi Raja -- in which IR composes several good songs and the director later cuts a few from the movie
saaar. idhu nadakkave nadakka poradhilla.
idhula illadha imaginationlaam edhukku?

irir123
23rd January 2011, 10:20 PM
Great review - a new one - on "Tiruvasagam- Oratorio" by a Finnish national with a love of Tamil!

http://www.finndian.com/cd-review-ilaiyaraaja

http://www.finndian.com/about-me

Fliflo
24th January 2011, 08:29 AM
Malabar Gold Full AD..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1eITdWSd2Y

IR looks divine..

Sureshs65
25th January 2011, 05:26 PM
Got this from twitter. Raja fans in Chennai watch out for the release tomorrow and get us the review fast. Again not sure if the CDs will reach Bangalore.

http://bit.ly/g88HxE

V_S
25th January 2011, 08:31 PM
Great news Sureshji! Can't wait to hear Maestro's new songs, it's been a while since we heard it. :cheer:

Sureshs65
25th January 2011, 09:26 PM
Also heard that Raja and actor Arya will be talking on Vijay TV tomorrow morning at 8:30am about the film 'Padithurai' which Arya is producing and has music by the master. So guys in India, tune into Vijay TV tomorrow morning. This means the movie will come out soon. Good.

Fliflo
25th January 2011, 09:31 PM
Got this from twitter. Raja fans in Chennai watch out for the release tomorrow and get us the review fast. Again not sure if the CDs will reach Bangalore.

http://bit.ly/g88HxE

"Isiai Thaayin Isayil" :roll:

app_engine
25th January 2011, 09:45 PM
செங்காத்து பூமியிலே
அய்யன்
அழகர்சாமியின் குதிரை
படித்துறை

என்னய்யா நடக்குது இங்கே?

2009 திரும்பி வருதா? :-)

என்றாலும், பெரிய கம்பெனிகளால் "அமுக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும்" சந்தையில் இவையெல்லாம் வெளியே தெரியுமா இல்லையா என்பது பெரிய கேள்விக்குறி.

San_K
25th January 2011, 10:26 PM
appadiye yaarachum intha puthu maappillai pirakasrajitta Mayilu pathi gnabagapaduthunga

Sureshs65
26th January 2011, 10:45 AM
Saw the program on 'Padithurai' today. Heard parts of one song. Very melodious. You can say it is in the lines of 'ilan kathu veesudhu'. Then there was another song of which only one line was heard. Based on Saranga ragam, it was superb. Waiting to listen to the whole song.

Raja is slowly getting comfortable with the cameras. He is not there yet :) He was praising Arya and the director SuKa.

teja
26th January 2011, 12:44 PM
Looks like there has been a new release yesterday. "Ayyan". Is this really a new album, or did I miss something here?

"Manasoram" by SadhanaSargam rocks!

Track listing:

Song 01. Hey Sivagami - Rahul Nambiar, Reeta

Song 02. Unnmayai Naan - Maya

Song 03. Ennakena Oruthi - Rahul Nambiar

Song 04. Manasoram - Sriram Parthasarathy, Sadhana Sargam

Song 05. Kaatrinai Polingu - Tippu

Song 06. Viduthalaikuyil Naan - llaiyaraja, Neha

Sureshs65
26th January 2011, 07:53 PM
Listening to 'Manasoram' now. A lovely song. After quite some time a song from Raja based on Suddha Saveri ragam. Raja and Suddha Saveri can never go wrong. Sung well by Sadhana Sargam and Sriram Parthasarathy. Haven't heard the other songs in detail yet. Stuck to this song. Given the star cast and the situational songs, my feeling is that this will also be like 'Kannukulle' or 'Madhiya Chennai'. Lets hope it is otherwise and this song atleast reaches a lot more people.

Hulkster
26th January 2011, 08:11 PM
I loved manasoram, kaatrinai,viduthalai and yenukenna oruthi. Tunes are pretty new while the orchestration is a full synth blast with the exception of hey sivagami.

Since the songs are 3 years late and with thalaivar moving on to jazz like orchestration nowadays, those who listen might not feel in sync with the songs. Yet this is one good album. Probably only negative point is a few funny synth sounds here and there but that is probably due to the low budget of the film which means thalaivar opting more for synth.

Sureshs65
26th January 2011, 09:22 PM
Hulk,

I just finished one round of listening to all songs. You are very spot on regarding this movie being dated. I think the songs must have been composed much before Gayam-2 and Kadha Thudarunnu. Because you can see his old style synth usage in these songs in many places. Whereas in Gayam 2 and Paa, his orchestration is entirely different. As you say, in some places the funny synth sounds sound out of place.

'viduthalai' is amazing pathos which Raja only can do. The song is very short though. 'yenakena oruthi' is something lot of fans have been cribbing about. The 'pallavi' not being very catchy but the 'charanam' being very good. Nice song this one. But undoubtedly 'manasoram' is the winner in this album by a fair distance. For Raja fans the CD will be worth this song alone.

app_engine
26th January 2011, 09:46 PM
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2011/01/26/ayyan-music-review-tamil-ilayaraja/#

Karthik has edited his review based on Sureshji's inputs :-)

Sureshs65
26th January 2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks app. I had a small exchange with him on twitter. It was good of him to make the change. I didn't have an issue with his review but about one word and he agreed to change it. I have left a comment there now.

San_K
26th January 2011, 10:15 PM
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2011/01/26/ayyan-music-review-tamil-ilayaraja/#

Karthik has edited his review based on Sureshji's inputs :-)

sarcastic correction?

inetk
26th January 2011, 10:20 PM
No. Honest.

San_K
26th January 2011, 10:33 PM
:)

Plum
27th January 2011, 05:25 AM
Inetk - porutkuRRam in that review. Not unsurprisimng given your poor form for a long time but if you are smart enough, you spot it and correct it yourself. I am not going to help you

inetk
27th January 2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks for helping me scrape through a tiny bit of my poor form. Your use of the word 'porutkuRRam' really nailed it down. Updated.

V_S
27th January 2011, 07:58 AM
These old links (dated May-2008) confirms that Maestro composed these songs way back (almost 3 years back), which also answers Maestro style at that time.
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/may-08-02/ayyan-12-05-08.html
http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/Ayyan_15346.html

Also the links talks very high of 'Yeh Sivagami' song. It seems Raja received standing ovation for this song. Nobody liked this song? :oops: It should be a terrific song. I have not yet heard.

rajkumarc
27th January 2011, 12:55 PM
First release of 2011 from the Maestro. Hope we get to see many more releases this year. Does anyone know any site online where I can listen to Ayyan songs?

Plum
27th January 2011, 01:05 PM
[tscii:0584f83ccb]Ah! now we can talk.

Ok, here's what inetk originally said:
"Ayyan barely attempts to move Raja out of his current, woebegone form"
After my alert, he has struck this through.
Now, what you see is:
"Ayyan’s soundtrack completely belies Ilayaraja’s current form, if you go by his recent output.
"

Here's my query:
Your original thought was that IR's form was woebegone.(i.e.) miserable.
In just a few conversations with Suresh, you updated it to "belies his current form"
Which means you think that his current form is quite good (i.e.) far from woebegone..

Which of this is the real inetk?

Do you write reviews just like that without thinking? Do you have a strong, stable opinion or it is just writing something to get a few hits?

From a sniper, a small-time guerilla reviewer, you have now moved to become a brand; a one-stop shop, a retail chain of music reviews, as it were.
Has this change effected a change in the honesty, spontaneity and consistency of your reviews?

Do you have deadline pressure to come out with reviews? How earnestly do you think through your reviews?

I am sorry to say - I perceive a huge change in what you were and what you are now as a reviewer - and the change is, IMO, not for the good.[/tscii:0584f83ccb]

inetk
27th January 2011, 01:29 PM
As I had noted, it was a silly, broad assumption, without any mooring - on Raja's form. It was based on a couple of albums that I had in mind. What Suresh did was open that thought and added many others that I had missed/ignored - as a result, I change my opinion based on narrow thinking and started to agree that his form is not as bad (woebegone) as I had wrongly assumed.

Now, have I ever proclaimed that I'm a know-it-all who cannot make any mistake?

Also, I'm not sure where 'stable thought' comes into the picture. I see it the other way around - we're sharing opinions. Everyone is bound to have different opinions.

The part I changed was facts that Suresh proved and one that I had previously ignored. Since it is proven, why should I hold that wrong statement? For the sake of my ego? Pointless, IMO. So, changed it to reflect a better picture.

Plum
27th January 2011, 02:08 PM
inetk, that is why I asked about deadline pressures and the additional pressure being a much-followed mega-website for review as opposed to the guerilla reviewer that you were.
Like it does, such a change has changed you as a reviewer as well. Thought it might give some perspective to you when you review long-standing reviewees in your reviews.

inetk
27th January 2011, 02:13 PM
I understand where you are coming from - I have always seen myself as just an emotional reviewer using language more than musical sense, to assess music. I'd also like to believe that deadlines do not matter to me now, as much as it did when I started out, 5 years ago.

Hulkster
27th January 2011, 04:42 PM
Hulk,

I just finished one round of listening to all songs. You are very spot on regarding this movie being dated. I think the songs must have been composed much before Gayam-2 and Kadha Thudarunnu. Because you can see his old style synth usage in these songs in many places. Whereas in Gayam 2 and Paa, his orchestration is entirely different. As you say, in some places the funny synth sounds sound out of place.

'viduthalai' is amazing pathos which Raja only can do. The song is very short though. 'yenakena oruthi' is something lot of fans have been cribbing about. The 'pallavi' not being very catchy but the 'charanam' being very good. Nice song this one. But undoubtedly 'manasoram' is the winner in this album by a fair distance. For Raja fans the CD will be worth this song alone.

:exactly: Mayilu is due for release as well and it was composed even further back, late or mid 2007 if i am not wrong. Of the "late pending" releases, padithurai might still carry thalaivar's latest sound.

But regardless of that aspect, even though there are some odd synth sounds, i loved his interludes for yenukenna oruthi and manasoram which are only raja-possible.

Sureshs65
27th January 2011, 06:14 PM
Hulk,

That will be the problem when 'older' films get released now. It will confuses us as to how Raja's style has changed. 'Mayilu' is from way back. Don't know when he composed 'Thandavakone'. The films which were probably composed last year are 'AK' and 'Padithurai'. Ofcourse we have the Telugu 'Ramayanam', one song of which we have heard. And Sathyan's movie, which is bound to have couple of amazing melodies.

I would say 'Ayyan' is probably not the best opening we can think of, but it can only get better from here. Still 'manasoram' is a gem of a song.

skr
27th January 2011, 08:31 PM
@Suresh
Correct me if i am wrong,but isnt Manasoram based on Mohanam Raga ?, coz i predominantly hear the usage of Sa Ri Ga Pa Da Sa which is the Mohanam Scale..

jaiganes
27th January 2011, 09:06 PM
manasoaram is an instant winner.. yet to listen to kaatrinai polingu and viduthalaikuyil.
@skr - it is so much sudhdha saaveri - not that I know the swaras, but it reminds me so much of "sithagaththi pookaLe" from raajakumaaran and "Janaki anukoledhu from telugu raajkumar.

Typical IR handling of Sudhdha saveri with shenoys in the interludes and the beat structure... dateless...

jaiganes
27th January 2011, 09:20 PM
as a raja fan I will rate this album as a 3/5. somewhat middling.
manasoram is "fantastic' Tippu's song is very good and effective.
The last pathos song is contextual and very effective. first two songs eminently forgettable.

Sureshs65
27th January 2011, 10:23 PM
skr,

Raja keeps the notes plain and given that Mohanam and SuddhaSaveri can be got by scale shift, both being 5 note ragas, I too initially got this doubt. But if you hear 'inrudhaane mudhal mudhalai oru sangeetham', you can clearly hear Suddha Saveri. The shenoy bit in the first interlude also points to SS.

Sureshs65
27th January 2011, 10:26 PM
Jai,

You hit the nail on the head with your succinct review. That is my view as well. 'katrinai polingu' has decent charanams and the interludes are good. Overall I will keep this in the company of album like 'Kanngalum Kavi Paaduthe'. One outstanding number, one decent number and others which will not stand the test of time.

skr
28th January 2011, 09:32 AM
@Suresh and Jai
Thanks for clarifying..

Shankar.P
28th January 2011, 12:27 PM
ayyan songs on raaga.com

manasoram manathai mayakkum manohara mellisai

fan_ir
28th January 2011, 01:36 PM
On listening to Ayyan songs, I feel it is quite an average album. It didn't create the usual first impact, leaving the synth aside.

My picks

Manasoram - Pudhu Pournami from Kannukkulle has traces of it.

Kaatrinai Polingu - Asks for Manidha Manidha kinda orchestration.

Sureshs65
28th January 2011, 02:45 PM
fan_ir,

You are perfectly right. 'manasoram' does have the 'pudhu pourname' feel. One reason why skr would have got the Mohanam feel. And Katrinai Polingu does cry out for real orchestra. It is a very short song but if a real orchestra was used and a bigger song was created, the impact would have been terrific. I think Raja created a far better similar type of song in 'Gayam 2' by using the synth. To be this pales before the 'Gayam 2' song "ramarajyam" but nevertheless you can feel the impact.

skr
28th January 2011, 04:05 PM
Out of the many Raja albums that are expected to release this year,i feel Ayyan is one which had kind of least expectations when compared to Shri Rama Rajyam,Padithurai,Sathyan Anthikadu movie etc..
For that i would say its a very decent album with one brilliant song Manasoram and 2 pretty good songs Kaatrinai and Viduthalai..I would probably rate this album as satisfactory.

Sunil_M88
29th January 2011, 02:32 AM
I find Enakkena Oruthi the most engaging... Retro trumpet and folkish flute (prelude), breathtaking first interlude, and a soothing anupallavi. What more could one ask for?

I feel as if Rahul Nambiyar has modulated his voice along the lines of Rekka Katti Parakthu.

V_S
29th January 2011, 06:12 AM
Deferred to listen Ayyan songs for Friday evening without much distraction.

Enekenna Oruthi - Beautiful tune and amazing prelude and interludes. I second Sunil on this song. Only conern is the percussion/rhythm in charanams, could have been better. "unakkaaga usirellam uruguthu maane" line beautifully sung by Rahul. IMHO, That's the highlight of the song. My pick of the album.

While the prelude of Enekena Oruthi is upbeat, but Manasoram is rather subtle.
Manasoram is already popular here, nothing more to say, excellent song, except that I anytime prefer chitra/shreya's voice instead of Sadhana. Her voice at higher octaves resembles 'aged' Asha.

Raja's song is always special to me. This one again pulls the heart string just like Kalagane from Gaayam-2. Neha also has sung well. Very meaningful lyrics. it would have been little longer.

Kaatrinai, Beautiful composition, Tipu impresses , but need more, very short song.

Ye Sivagami, starts as if it is a serious 'Maariyamma' song, but it turns out to be a fun song when Rahul starts 'Sevagami'. A surprise. Pallavi and Anupallavi sounds good. Interludes are vintage Raja. That urumi sounds like someone is saying 'hmm'. Very lively! Lyrics could have been better.

Unmaiya Naan not much impressive, but it is not a passable song for me, either.

Maestro never disappointed me so far, and Ayyan is again no exception. Not bad at all, but we cannot compare this to mighty Pazhassi Raja, Paa, Nandhalala or Naan Kadavul. This has its own limitation only known to Maestro and the director, but with the limitations, I feel Maestro did his best, that too three years before. :thumbsup:

Shankar.P
29th January 2011, 03:20 PM
High expectations on Srirama Rajyam

http://www.sify.com/movies/high-expectations-on-srirama-rajyam-news-tamil-lb3ocSfjfda.html

Shankar.P
29th January 2011, 10:50 PM
புதுசா
புத்தம் புதுசா
நித்தம் ஒரு மெட்டு
இளசா ரொம்ப இளசா
பூத்ததே இந்த மொட்டு
மயக்குதே
மனசோரம் அந்த பாட்டு
இரவிலே அது எங்களின் தாலாட்டு
உன் பாடல்
தினம் கேட்டு
தானே வளர்ந்தோம்
தேன் குடித்த வண்டாய்
எங்கும் பறந்து திரிவோம்
இசையே உந்தன் இசையே
என்றென்றும்
எமை இயக்கும் விசையே
ஆயிரம் அவதாரம்
நீ எடுத்தாய்
பல்லாயிரம் பாமாலை
நீ தொடுத்தாய்
ராஜனே இளைய ராஜனே
தமிழிசையின் மார்கண்டேயனே
அய்யனே எங்கள் அய்யனே
விருதுகள் ஏன் இனி உனக்கு
பெற்றாலும் பெருமை அவைதனுக்கு

raajarasigan
1st February 2011, 05:09 PM
Manasoram is too good.. typical Raja free flowing tune..

raja_fan
2nd February 2011, 01:55 PM
Manasoram has feel of "Kathal mayakkam..." from Pudhumai penn, as well as "Kodamanjin..." from Kochu kochu santhoshangal.

raja_fan
2nd February 2011, 03:19 PM
The manasoram song's charanam leads me to "Kovil mani osai thannai..." from Kizhakke pogum rail...
Are these of same raga ?

Sureshs65
2nd February 2011, 07:50 PM
Yes raja_fan. All the songs you mentioned are based on Suddha Saveri

rajasaranam
3rd February 2011, 11:46 AM
Ayyan falls several notches below any album composed by Ayya that got released in a long time. Not able to digest this, even after repeated listenings nothing impresses! a big FAIL :-(

entertainment
3rd February 2011, 06:43 PM
Ayyan falls several notches below any album composed by Ayya that got released in a long time. Not able to digest this, even after repeated listenings nothing impresses! a big FAIL :-(

I completely agree.

Shankar.P
3rd February 2011, 11:23 PM
hi Querida... Ayyan songs are available in
www.raaga.com

genesis
4th February 2011, 12:41 AM

Do not worry, Suresh65 already has answer... look here: http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2011/01/26/ayyan-music-review-tamil-ilayaraja/

Querida
4th February 2011, 09:58 AM
hi Querida... Ayyan songs are available in
www.raaga.com (http://www.raaga.com)

Thanks Shankar.P :)
Is it just me or does Maya sound like she's singing off key? :shock: :(

"Vidhuthulaikul Naan" I think appealed just because I have a biased liking for IR's voice.

suyambu
5th February 2011, 08:19 AM
Ayyan songs are very ordinary and monotonous. nothing to brag about raja sir's class....:) eagerly waiting for Padithurai and Azhagarsamiyim Kuthirai :)

rajkumarc
7th February 2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article1162626.ece?homepage=true&sms_ss=email&at_xt=4d4f65c1c927be69%2C0

An article mentioning about Padithurai songs. Didn't know that director Suga was trained in Carnatic music. Hope the audio gets released soon.

rajkumarc
7th February 2011, 09:18 AM
Listened to Ayyan songs. Can't dismiss it as a failed effort completely. Manasoram, Yenekkena oruthi and Viduthalai Kuyil are still good and I can see IR in his elements in those songs. I liked Ye Sivagami too mainly the pallavi portion. The other songs are pretty contextual and I fail to understand why the director comes up with such uninspiring song situations.

app_engine
7th February 2011, 09:19 AM
Imagine traces of raga Dhenuka seamlessly blending with beats emanating from percussion instruments played by the artists of Kaniyan Koothu, a folk art performed at Sudalai Madan temples.

Music composer Ilaiyaraja has come up with an exotic blend of folk and Carnatic music “Ada inge yethukku”, a song in soon-to-be-released ‘Padithurai'. The song, like several others composed by the maestro, captures fine nuances of both traditions and makes the listener want to instantly dance.

“It is not as if that he is listening to Kaniyan Koothu for the first time. He briefly used the percussion instrument in the film Kadhal Ovivam. But in my film, he has used the instrument in a full full-fledged manner,” said director Suka, who is also trained in Carnatic music.

Break-neck speed

With magudam and mandham playing in break-neck speed, a group of singers including Priyadharsini, Maya, Manikavinayagam, Velmurugan and Mukesh have rendered the song in an equally peppy manner. Lyricist Muthulingam has penned the song.

Perfect synchronisation

“Mr. Ilayaraja liked the manolayam of these artists. So engrossed was he in their music, that he wondered how they could achieve such perfect synchronisation,” recalled Mr Suka.

Magudam, the sharp version of percussion instrument is played by one person while the bass is played by another player.

“When they heated the instruments to fine-tune the shruti, Mr. Ilayaraja excitedly called everyone at the Prasad Studio to listen to them. He brought a lot of gifts and shawls from his house and honoured them,” Mr. Suka said. The artists belong to Mr. Thangasami's troupe in Tirunelveli district.

Mr. Suka said all the songs in the film have been based on Carnatic ragas. Vocalists Sudha Ragunathan and Bombay Jayashri have together rendered ‘Therodum veediyile' a song based on the raga Saranga. Tamil novelist S. Ramakrishnan, who has penned scripts and dialogues for many films, has written this song.

Another song ‘Nadi meedu odum' in raga Hamsanandi has also been sung by Bombay Jayashri. Mr. Suka has also roped in Sahitya Akademi Winner Nanjil Nadan to write a song for his film.

The song ‘Unnai maadiri' in raga Mand has been rendered by Bela Shinde.

Singers Karthik and Bhavatharini have sung a duet ‘Enna valachu..' based on raga Bhimplas.

“Story the hero”

“The story is the hero of the film. Almost everyone in the unit has acted in the movie. Editor Suresh Urs and art director Krishnamurthy have also appeared in the film,” Mr. Suka said, adding that it would be released soon.

Can't wait!

I wish Suga is my close friend :-)

irir123
11th February 2011, 09:06 AM
i dont know which thread to pose/ask this question but here it goes:

during the late 80s - i think post 'agni natchatiram', IR began using a certain kind of polyphonic percussion/rhythm sometimes very very complex - often making one wonder as to how he even conjured up such complex patterns!

the percussion base for 'en uyire vaa' or 'ding dong dong - irandum ondrodu' or 'poongatru un per solla', or, 'subhalekha' (the polyphonic sounds in this track is a riot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-waXRLXU8 - the interludes and NOT the prelude), or 'vayase tholi' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvFsQrwyM0 - the prelude percussion wow!)

since 1992-1993, his scores shifted away from the use of such polyphonic percussion arrangements and became more new-age style - the rock ballad like 'arumbum thalire' from chandralekha (1995) or the songs of poovarasan or an IV sasi film (forgot the name, it had the 'siru koottil chinna kokilam irandu' song)

if IR were to revert back to such percussion usage, the present day night club slam bang music crazy junta wud lap it all up for sure!

raajarasigan
11th February 2011, 01:05 PM
irir, very nice info on the percussion base :-) I really liked that kind of rythm from our maestro. But I thought it was still from acoustic drums (at least in en uyire vaa) but with a better recording quality when compared to the mid-80's acoustic drums usage. That kind of percussion is so soothing to the ears and also very trendy even today. No doubt that it will work in the night clubs.

Did maestro use this kind of percussion in "Inimey Naangathan"? It looks like.. :-)

K
11th February 2011, 01:58 PM
i dont know which thread to pose/ask this question but here it goes:

during the late 80s - i think post 'agni natchatiram', IR began using a certain kind of polyphonic percussion/rhythm sometimes very very complex - often making one wonder as to how he even conjured up such complex patterns!

the percussion base for 'en uyire vaa' or 'ding dong dong - irandum ondrodu' or 'poongatru un per solla', or, 'subhalekha' (the polyphonic sounds in this track is a riot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-waXRLXU8 - the interludes and NOT the prelude), or 'vayase tholi' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvFsQrwyM0 - the prelude percussion wow!)

since 1992-1993, his scores shifted away from the use of such polyphonic percussion arrangements and became more new-age style - the rock ballad like 'arumbum thalire' from chandralekha (1995) or the songs of poovarasan or an IV sasi film (forgot the name, it had the 'siru koottil chinna kokilam irandu' song)

if IR were to revert back to such percussion usage, the present day night club slam bang music crazy junta wud lap it all up for sure!

IV Sasi Movie: Kolangal

raj_musing
15th February 2011, 10:23 AM
Interview with raja and I believe few song clippings from "Padithurai" are shown here??

http://7swara.blogspot.com/2011/02/illayaraja-interview-padithurai.html

Sureshs65
15th February 2011, 08:47 PM
RM,

Someone posted that interview earlier I think. The song snippets make you want to go and ask the director to immediately release the album. Lets hope it comes out this month.

raj_musing
15th February 2011, 10:44 PM
The snippets looks promising Suresh. Lets just wait for a big blast with the release of Padithurai and Azhagar Samiyin Kuthirai...

app_engine
18th February 2011, 11:58 PM
meeNdum mahAtmA (http://narumugai.com/?p=25865)

Another decent BGM score in the making...no huge song album possible, however...

krish244
28th February 2011, 08:09 AM
Is this movie (Welcome back Mahatma) already released?

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article1492464.ece

"...Director Balakrishnan, who had earlier made “Kamaraj”, employs Ilaiyaraaja's music to great effect..."

thanks,

Krishnan

San_K
28th February 2011, 12:11 PM
no, i am wating for this movie which seems very interesting story for me

raj_musing
3rd March 2011, 01:04 AM
Someone who has access needs to change the title of this thread:-We are now in 2011..

Fliflo
8th March 2011, 08:12 PM
Ponnar-Shankar: IR is the MD confirmed by Prashant.

Movie to be released this month. Watch this video..

http://www.nakkheeran.in/WebTv.aspx?WTV=795

jaiganes
8th March 2011, 09:28 PM
Ponnar-Shankar: IR is the MD confirmed by Prashant.

Movie to be released this month. Watch this video..

http://www.nakkheeran.in/WebTv.aspx?WTV=795

thalai ezuthae!! innoru uLiyin Osai with nothing fitting in the milieu - and horrible production values..
Having said that, So far Prashanth has had good numbers from Raaja for his movies (all the way till Raasa magan)

app_engine
8th March 2011, 10:47 PM
When I watched NL for a second time -this time with my wife, both of us had involuntary flood from eyes for onnukkoNNu & thAlAttukkEtka nAnum.

I wish IR work again with Myskin, for another off-beat movie like this.

San_K
8th March 2011, 11:01 PM
நண்பர் சுசீந்திரன் இயக்கத்தில் ரிலீசுக்கு தயாராக உள்ள அழகர்சாமியின் குதிரை படத்தைப் பின்னணி இசை, எபக்ட்ஸ் எதுவும் இன்றி பார்த்தேன். உலக சினிமா தரத்தில் ஒரு தமிழ்ப் படம். ஒரு குதிரைக்கும் குதிரைக்காரனக்குமான உறவைத் தெளிவான திரைக்கதையில் சொல்லி இருக்கிறார் சுசீந்திரன். பெரிய ஹீரோ, காமெடியன் என்று வழக்கமான சமாளிப்புகள் இல்லாத தரமான சினிமா. படம் நெடுக இழையோடும் நகைச்சுவைக்கு பாஸ்கர் சக்தியின் வசனம் பெரிய பூஸ்ட்.

- இயக்குனர் பாண்டிராஜ் ஆ.வி.யில்

rajkumarc
9th March 2011, 03:26 AM
When I watched NL for a second time -this time with my wife, both of us had involuntary flood from eyes for onnukkoNNu & thAlAttukkEtka nAnum.

I wish IR work again with Myskin, for another off-beat movie like this.
NL will be the first tamil movie that I would want to own on bluray. I will be re-visiting it once I get hold of a bluray disc. Hope Ayngaran release it soon.

Meanwhile, was watchin Paneer Pushpangal during the weekend. That DVD had Uthiri Pookal as well. Once PP was over I tried to watch the climax scene of UP just for the heck of it. It was so hard to control the tears even if it's for less than 10 mins. On of the most moving climaxes ever.

V_S
11th March 2011, 10:46 PM
Great news!. Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai audio track list. It seems the release date is today. If anyone gets hold of the soundtrack, please let us know your views.
http://www.tamilkey.info/azhagarsamiyin-kudhirai-2011.html

Can't wait to hear the songs, especially the Karthik, Shreya number.

skr
12th March 2011, 09:19 AM
Great news!. Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai audio track list. It seems the release date is today. If anyone gets hold of the soundtrack, please let us know your views.
http://www.tamilkey.info/azhagarsamiyin-kudhirai-2011.html

Can't wait to hear the songs, especially the Karthik, Shreya number.

Eagerly awaiting the songs of Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai..A touch disappointed there are only 3 songs listed in the soundtrack..But one good news is that even Ponnaar Shankar and Happi is expected to release by the next month..So hoping for a lot from Maestro..

Sureshs65
12th March 2011, 03:46 PM
Here is a bit from Padithurai. Check this article. This is in Tamil. Scroll down and you will come to a video wherein the instrumentalists are involved in their practice and Raja walks in later. Wonderful playing. Hope they release this album soon. (A bit of a self plug. The same issue of Solvanam webzine contains my interview with the great Carnatic Music singer Padmabhushan R.K.Sreekantan. Do read it if you get time. It is in Tamil)

http://solvanam.com/?p=13152

dochu
12th March 2011, 09:15 PM
2:49 clip mudinthu vittathey endru varutha maga ullathu. Wished to see what Raja said after that. Quite heavenly!! Talented artists.

AravindMano
13th March 2011, 09:07 AM
Azhagarsaamiyin Kudhirai audio out on Wednesday. http://www.orkut.com/Main#AlbumZoom?uid=8256190390139552500&pid=1299925535431&aid=1299900334$pid=1299925535431

V_S
13th March 2011, 09:32 AM
Azhagarsaamiyin Kudhirai audio out on Wednesday. http://www.orkut.com/Main#AlbumZoom?uid=8256190390139552500&pid=1299925535431&aid=1299900334

Thanks AravindMano. But four more days to go :(

Fliflo
14th March 2011, 07:04 PM
AYYAN VIMARSANAM

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/REVIEW/2011/ayyan.asp

இசை- இசைஞானி. எவ்வளவு நாளாச்சு, இப்படி ஒரு பின்னணி இசை கேட்டு. பாடல்களில் நிலா வந்து முகம் பார்க்கும்... இந்த வருடத்தின் மயிலிறகு மெலடி!

Nerd
15th March 2011, 06:14 PM
Azhakarsamiyin Kuthirai samples are out. Instantly liked all three songs. IR's singing in the first song is LOL! ShreyaG's portion is not there in #3. But just three songs??!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S2KH3G/ref=dm_sp_alb/275-1944675-6351826

Sureshs65
15th March 2011, 08:14 PM
Nerd,

Thanks for the samples. Songs sound good. As can be expected from Raja, two of the songs will be 'situation' songs. I am sure the charanams will be even more melodious. The folk song 'adiye ivale' is so very Raja. Waiting to hear this song completely. And yes, three songs is too less.

And we can clearly hear the difference (even with these samples) between this movie, which is composed in Raja's latest recording style and the music of 'Ayyan'.

MumbaiRamki
15th March 2011, 08:39 PM
THe last song is very malayalish and pretty .. rest two are purely situational and bit dated...

raj_musing
15th March 2011, 10:44 PM
Adiye Ivale clip looks familiar to "lalaaku Lo dapp maa" from the tamil movie suryan :) waiting for the full song.

SoftSword
15th March 2011, 10:52 PM
was it the voice of raja in first song...
vazhakkamaa indha maadhiri kamal paadi thana kaetrukken.
is there any such attempts by him in the past...?

Sunil_M88
15th March 2011, 11:19 PM
3 songs, is that it? :(

Adiye
Ivale (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S2KHAE/ref=dm_dp_trk2)

I've given the most loop hearings to this number, don't kno why. :-s Can't wait for the audio release.

Sunil_M88
16th March 2011, 03:12 AM
The songs can be heard here - http://newtamilhits.com/tamil_movie_songs_free_download.asp?MovieId=165

This link is only for listening to the songs. :)

Happy hearing guys and please go ahead and buy the audio.

jaiganes
16th March 2011, 03:21 AM
Thanx Sunil!! u r da man!!
Right now listening to Kudhikira kuthirakutty - Raaja does an absolutely modern arrangement for his trademark freakout song format and it is as new as the fun in the song is old.
And the second interlude strikes again.. big time. BTW nativity - it is only in Raaja's voice - rest is very modern and urban.

watch out for what raaja does in the end.. cheeky little...

Sunil_M88
16th March 2011, 03:30 AM
Kuthikkira Kuthikkira - Ilaiyaraaja sounds like a teenager here, how does he do it? The backing laughter from sir towards the climax of the song is quite a surprising factor of the song and yes IMO it does gel with the whole picture of the song. Instantaneously catchy. Oh yeah and those pads at the beginning have left my spellbound for the rest of the night. (9/10)

Poovakkelu - Seems templated and not very innovative in approach hence not really hooked on to this one compared to Kuthikkira, however the second interlude does deserve credit. (6.5/10)

Adiye Ivale - Slow intro but once the melody kicks in, the song gets its groove until the first interlude pops up. The first interlude completely hit me out of the blue and brought the widest of smiles on my face lol. The same goes for the second interlude. The overlapping of different singers is another effective aspect. However the nadaswaram rises tall and the songs has the grandest of finishes in recent times. (8.5)

This brief review was on the basis of music and not lyrics as I don't understand Tamil.

jaiganes
16th March 2011, 03:31 AM
Now listening to poovak kelu..
Ghatam is the primary percussion instrument in the prelude as well as the interludes - kinda nod at Suseendran's first MD Selvaganesh.
The melody is absolutely perfect - Karthik is needless to mention - soft and apt to sing such a song.
Second interlude is all synth with very neat counterpoints with a prominent bass and drum set arrangements giving a brief centre stage to Raja's typical flute.
Irish cellos begin the second charanam - Shreya comes to fore there.. The song as mentioned by Mumbai Ramki reminds the melody (odan thannil)from Pazhassi raja in a way the pallavi sounds..

jaiganes
16th March 2011, 03:39 AM
Last song - Thaaru maaru - this is how to do a thiruvizhaa song. Beautiful idea of odd characters gossipping funny anecdotes about characters colourful and funny and the chit chat is nicely encapsulated musically from raaja. The melam and naayanam combo and rest of thamizh folk instruments come to the fore and as Sunil says, one's face automatically lapses into a smile and the pulsating traditional rhythms let the foot go tapping by themselves...
Awesome album.. must have songs.

dochu
16th March 2011, 03:53 AM
I couldn't stand kuthikira song when heard as a sample in amazon.

Heard it better from above site with better audio.

Now, it tops than the rest of the songs. Unbelievable transition of IR in his voice, and music.

irir123
16th March 2011, 03:59 AM
'poova kelu' is a close sibling of 'odanthannil' from Pazhassi Raaja !

AravindMano
16th March 2011, 05:13 AM
பின்னியிருக்காப்ல.

V_S
16th March 2011, 06:13 AM
Raja continues where he left off from Pazhassi. Amazing rhythm arrangements in every song. Kick Ass soundtrack from Maestro. :notworthy:
He is on his own in Kuthikkira song. Freaking out with different voice modulation. Hearing Maestro sing like this after a long long time. The voice breaks sounds beautiful. That too towards the end, when he says Kuthikkira and that laugh (I am going wild), I could hear that he is smiling throughout while singing. When he says "En Manasu…Manachu.. Manachu.. Yengathu, illa illa illaen manasu Yengale, ana paya usuru yenguthulle". I could not control :lol:
Everyone hearing this song will surely become younger and lighter.

First time I am seeing a beautiful melody trapped between two powerful folk compositions, j/k. Maestro uses ghatam just in the prelude and rhythm arrangement completes changes when Karthik takes over. Again comes the Ghatam in the interlude for a short period. Shreya Ghoshal voice sounds little different and matured perfect to the tune. Yes, Odanthannil backdrop cannot be missed in pallavi. The interludes takes me for a memorable train journey. Ghatam catches up again for the last pallavi. Mesmerizing Raja vintage melody!

Raja's choice of singers in 'Adiye Ivale' works high time. :thumbsup: Starting from the initial conversation and then when she (Tanjai Selvi?) sings "Adiye Ivale oorukule thirvizhaavaavaam". Observe her voice when she pronounces "vizha (vila)" in thirivizhavaavam, very beautiful (her voice breaks there which I liked very much). Even she does not say 'zha' correctly, but it was so beautiful to hear when she sings in an innocent way. I like all their voices. He brings the nativity to the fore beautifully. If any regular singers would have sung this song, it would have lost its significance and feel, and that's where Raja stands tall. He knows whom to pick for which song. All the singers sing very freely and their voices sounds very native and innocent. Very resonant song!. And that grand, bright Dhavil and nadaswaram in the interludes makes me dance. And imagine how he stops suddenly that grand lude for singing again, marvellous! Biggest of all, that grand finish, only Thalaivar can do that. A Folk song should be only like this. Best folk and thiruvizha song and it reminds me of "Pothuvaaga en manasu Thangam" (MV :sad:) days.

All songs have an uplifting and humorous mood as per the storyline, great!

There is no clear winner for me in this soundtrack, the song I am currently listening is always the winner.

MumbaiRamki
16th March 2011, 06:31 AM
Ok . Kuthirika , i understand is situational and hence the voice modulation - but as a song , IR's voice had lessened the sweetness of this song with amazing orchestration . The strains and the false modulation did not work for me in isolated mode . May be after seeing the movie or after repeated listening i may like it more. The second interlude , i can imagine appu kutty walking over mountains . Raaja , great song , but why not just not a normal voice and keep it like the commercial MDs !!!!

Poovakelu - yes , this cousin of odanthanil in pallavi & anu pallavi , typical malayalish flavor.But ghatam in romantic song , thats terrific . Interludes are superb stuff .
The charanam is an nostaglic 80s , with strings accompanying. Superb stuff !

Adi ivale - after the initial rusting singing ,the explosion as a throw back to karakattaran starts .Nice one . Again , raaja could have made this an attractive stuff , but he is being true to the nativity here , being realistic than appealing .

Adi ivalae , im expecting suga's padithurai in which there is a similar song i suppose, but in a bit more urban setting . IR's 2011 started a low a bit with Ayyan , then ramped up with ASK and hopefully padithurai and other albums will follow the route.

MumbaiRamki
16th March 2011, 06:36 AM
After i wrote the review, i just kept looping kuthirika :)

V_S
16th March 2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks Sunil for sharing! Forgot to thank you earlier.

AravindMano
16th March 2011, 07:17 AM
The first three words in Shreya Ghoshal's voice - I blinked once. Sounded just like Swarnalatha. Or am imagining, after a heavy dose of her songs for the past three days.

Thanks Sunil, for the links.

V_S
16th March 2011, 08:28 AM
Could not resist mentioning about 'Poovakelu' and its orchestration. What is the instrument used in the end of first interlude?. Very beautiful. It also comes as a filler for the first two lines of both the charanams, lovely to hear that piece!
Similarly the last two lines in charanams is ornamented by a brief piano and flute respectively, wow! and all those backed up by perfect synth-based rhythm. Raja's synth rhythms haven't been so bold and beautiful. Tune in charanams is heavenly. Very sweet and soothing song!
The overall recording quality of the soundtrack is outstanding, if we listen this in original CD, it should be even more satisfying! Waiting to buy! It seems Sony has packaged it well:thumbsup:

Sureshs65
16th March 2011, 10:27 AM
Loving all three songs. Just the first listen. Both the kudhir song and the tiruvizha song bring a smile on your lips immediately. The 'thiruvizha' song especially. Wonderful lyrics in that song as well. Will listen to it for some time and then write a small review. The way he slows the song in the second charanam in 'thiruvizha' song is amazing. The tune and the lyrics complement each other so well. Absolute winner.

rajkumarc
16th March 2011, 10:50 AM
Wonderful album from the Maestro. Thanks Sunil for sharing the link to listen. Each song has a distinct feel and I like all of them. Orchestration is superb in all the songs and the recording quality is awesome. Enjoying all the reviews from hubbers as well, keep them coming. It looks like a Thiruvizha here in this thread whenever a new album gets released.

MumbaiRamki
16th March 2011, 11:33 AM
Nearby pallikaranai ( near to kaiveli) , there was a saibaba anna dhanam happening at the local slum (kinds of) . And the album that was played .... Sai bab pugazh malai by raaaja !

Osho
16th March 2011, 02:38 PM
Mumbai Ramki,
The kuthikkara song is quite awesome i thought. The interludes are mind boggling. Whens the last time you laughed while listening to a song!!!. Waiting for the visuals now

raj_musing
16th March 2011, 02:44 PM
For me the album looked "Ok" but not anywhere near his recent classics like "Pazhassi Raja", Naan Kadavul or NL. My thoughts after the first round of listening. May need to listen more to see how the songs grow..!

shylu65
16th March 2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks a lot for sharing with us :)

The songs can be heard here - http://newtamilhits.com/tamil_movie_songs_free_download.asp?MovieId=165

This link is only for listening to the songs. :)

Happy hearing guys and please go ahead and buy the audio.

jaiganes
16th March 2011, 04:53 PM
I do feel that Raja has used some recording techniques that many of the younger MDs are employing. He compensates the automation with the adiye Ivale. The way he has used Thanjai selvi's unique vocals needs a special mention. The lyrics are funny too. Particularly the first question after thiruvizha announcement - "Saami irukkunna 3 varusha yaen thiruvizha nadakkala?". Very typical of a village banter and nicely brought inside the song by the director susee and lyricist.

K
16th March 2011, 05:06 PM
'poova kelu' is a close sibling of 'odanthannil' from Pazhassi Raaja !

I too Feel the Same

Nerd
16th March 2011, 05:56 PM
Love the groove in kuthikkira. Raja could have toned down, a little, w.r.to his singing. Might get annoying after a point (read few hundred listens). Fantastic song though, great arrangements. Synth rhythms (very much tolerable though - not as bad as some of his recent works) spoil the otherwise brilliant Poovai kELu. Ghatam works beautifully and the singers are great. Delightful song. And Raja sir could have freaked out in AdiyE ivaLE instead he chooses to be a little light w.r.to the orchestration whenever the singers sing. But he does freak out in the ludes(!), including a rambunctious postlude(!).

Album of the year so far (Only padithurai can beat it IMO). And one of those rare Raja sir albums where I can't wait to see the videos! Having read the kuru-novel, I am sure the film will be very very good.

Sunil_M88
16th March 2011, 08:22 PM
The song that had the least of my attention on first hearing is now the most heard out of the playlist. Yes, Poovakkelu has won me over. I love how the ghatam pauses when Karthik iterates the poovakkelu just before the new beat drops at the begining. The best part however is that military marching beat that comes along with Shreya Ghosal after the first interlude. This beat is also springs up when the second interlude is heard. I've never heard someone weave such a melodious romantic melody with a military, big band, kick and snare beat. It certainly is a nice marriage of sounds. I'm sure there are still plenty of things left to unearth in this number.

:clap:

Sunil_M88
16th March 2011, 08:25 PM
Could not resist mentioning about 'Poovakelu' and its orchestration. What is the instrument used in the end of first interlude?. Very beautiful. It also comes as a filler for the first two lines of both the charanams, lovely to hear that piece!
Similarly the last two lines in charanams is ornamented by a brief piano and flute respectively, wow! and all those backed up by perfect synth-based rhythm. Raja's synth rhythms haven't been so bold and beautiful. Tune in charanams is heavenly. Very sweet and soothing song!
The overall recording quality of the soundtrack is outstanding, if we listen this in original CD, it should be even more satisfying! Waiting to buy! It seems Sony has packaged it well:thumbsup:

I believe it is the violin.

V_S
16th March 2011, 08:50 PM
I believe it is the violin.
Thanks Sunil. Since it is synth, I could not clearly identify. But it sounded very new and fresh to me. Very good mix of Ghatam and synth arrangements makes this one special. Fantastic song and I kept listening almost 50 times yesterday! Classic!

venkkiram
16th March 2011, 09:39 PM
பின்னி பெடலேடுதுட்டாருய்யா.. பெடலேடுதுட்டாரு நம்ம ராசா..

லயத்திற்காகவே இப்படப் பாடலை கேட்டுக்கொண்டே இருக்கலாம். குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற, பூவைக்கேளு இரண்டும் முதலிடம்.. அடியே இவளே - இரண்டாவது இடம். குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற...துள்ளலான தாளக்கட்டு..ரொம்ப நாளாச்சி இப்படியெல்லாம் கேட்டு. ராஜாவின் குரல் அதகளம்..குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற என அவர் ஒவ்வொரு சரணம் முடியும் தருவாயில் சொல்லும் விதம் அந்த எகத்தாளமும், துள்ளலும் ரொம்ப அழகா வந்திருக்கு.

Sureshs65
16th March 2011, 09:54 PM
My review of the album.

1. 'kuthikira': This song starts with a wonderful prelude. Raja joins in with a 'new' voice. The rhythm seems to be that of a horse galloping but done in a very different way from the normal 'goda-gaadi' beats. Infact there is someone sound equivalent to horse breathing which keeps coming along. We are on the horse. The first interlude is terrific. I don't think anyone can create this amount of orchestration and beauty using the synthesizer. The synth violins backing the charanam help in sustaining the pace of the charanams and provide a wonderful effect. The charanam is wonderfully constructed with Raja freaking out with his voice. The horse breath keeps coming in the pallavi lines again. The second interlude uses a voice and the synth to create a very peaceful effect. We may just know the outline of the story but this song immediately paints a wonderful picture of the lead character. As Rajasaranam said in twitter, this is possible only for Raja. As Nerd mentioned, there is a possibility that people can interpret Raja's interpretation as going over the top. If we look at the visuals and the actual character in the movie, we can take a call if Raja did it perfectly or overdid it. It has been a while since a song brought a smile on my lips. This song does it and that sort of merges with whatever I have heard about the movie. It sort of sets the tone for the movie.

2.'adiye ivale': What a song!!! It immediately takes you right into the middle of the village trying to celebrate a 'tiruvizha'. The starting voice is superbly rustic. The tune is equally rustic. This is Raja's home ground. Use folk to freakout. And freakout he does by bring in the thavil and nadaswaram. What superb beats. Then he slows down for the charanam. Special mention needs to be made of the lyrics. Absolutely funny. The tune merges so well with the lyrics it reminds me of 'Jakkamma' from 'Solla Marantha Kadhai'. Raja freaks out in the second charanam by slowing it down a lot and then going full speed with nadaswaram and thavil. I don't think anyone else other than Raja can move a song this way. Speed it up, slow it down, make you laugh and still give you the intended effect.

3. 'poova kaelu': The ghatam starts this melodic number with a synth flute playing in the background. Then the synthesized beats start accompanying Karthik's singing of the pallavi. People have mentioned Malayalam like melody and 'odathandil'. I think we get the feeling because of Raja's recent work for Sathyan has such melodic elements and both Raja and Sathyan seem to be lovers of old Hindi melodies. Some parts of the pallavi remind me of 'tere sang pyar mein' from Nagin. The charanam has Shreya joining Karthik with the recent love of Raja for gaps in charanam being filled with the rhythm instrument. Otherwise the gaps are filled well by the synth violins.

Overall a wonderful album. One which takes cognisance of the fact that the songs are meant for the film and not for caller tunes. Not something which will go well with many youngsters or with the producers of the album. But Raja seems to be uncompromising in this aspect. All those accusing him of arrogance must take a minute to ponder. Here is a man which is supposed to have been 'pushed over' by the new wave, here is a man whose own fans are asking him for 'hits', whose own fans want him to do stuff which other younger MDs do, here is a man who is not 'in demand'. Yet whenever an opportunity presents itself, he doesn't do anything which will make his fans happy or the producers happy. He just keeps giving exactly what the film, the story, the director demands. Not what he wants. This album is proof for that. Two songs out of three are done keeping the milieu and the film characters in mind. As soon as I sent out the link to songs on twitter I had almost instant reaction from a couple of people saying 'song are mokkai' etc. Here is where Raja stands head and shoulders above others. He understand what the film needs and gives that as a priority. Everything else is secondary. That is the reason why lot of us still respect him and defend him tooth and nail. I am sure the songs would have been: one, picturized and two, picturized well. By all accounts the story is supposed to good. So lets hope that the movie succeeds in the box office.

Sunil_M88
16th March 2011, 09:57 PM
The interlude that comes around 3:15 of Kuthikkira Kuthikkira is by far the best interlude of this year so far. The naaaa/ la la humming by Raaja sir is soooo cute and youthful, and the song develops a rock feel with those high eccentric guitars. This is the most urban part of the song before the ethnic atmosphere arrives. The way Raaja has modulated his voice makes it feel though as if, even if he were to sing this song in his early days he wouldn't sound as young and hyper, as he has displayed in this number. The mastery and experience is clearly glaring in this one, so here's a big :bow: to him.

It's just one of them interludes that you want to extract from the song and listen to for ages and ages. :musicsmile:

jaiganes
16th March 2011, 10:29 PM
பின்னி பெடலேடுதுட்டாருய்யா.. பெடலேடுதுட்டாரு நம்ம ராசா..

லயத்திற்காகவே இப்படப் பாடலை கேட்டுக்கொண்டே இருக்கலாம். குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற, பூவைக்கேளு இரண்டும் முதலிடம்.. அடியே இவளே - இரண்டாவது இடம். குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற...துள்ளலான தாளக்கட்டு..ரொம்ப நாளாச்சி இப்படியெல்லாம் கேட்டு. ராஜாவின் குரல் அதகளம்..குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற என அவர் ஒவ்வொரு சரணம் முடியும் தருவாயில் சொல்லும் விதம் அந்த எகத்தாளமும், துள்ளலும் ரொம்ப அழகா வந்திருக்கு.

அவதாரம் படத்தில் 'ஒரு குண்டுமணி குலுங்குதடி' - அதற்கு பிறகு "குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற".
(After Avathaaram's Oru gundu mani song comes"gudhikkira" from this movie).
As far as poovakkelu song - let me separate the influences in this song..
The Ghatam usage is the nod to "Lesa parakkudhu manasu" from Vennila Kabadi kuzhu - Selvaganesh must be ecstatic about the nod from Raja.
The Phrase " Onnodu naan " in the pallavi is a nod to "Avaaram poovu" song from Poo by SS.Kumaran - he too can tell everyone about the postcard of appreciation from Raaja.
A nod to himself by taking "Odam thannil" from Pazhassi raaja which was not used at all in the film.
Another nod to himself from the Hari haran - sadhana sargam gem from "En Mana vaanil" - "Enna solli paaduvadhO".
This is one blender of Raaja where influences and nod mix left right and center, yet this song is unique in its own way..
Still, My fave is kuthikkira and "Adiye ivale" - the thavil saththam is enough to beat any blues...

V_S
16th March 2011, 10:47 PM
Excellent review Suresh ji! Well said about what to expect in Raja's film songs and how he addresses exactly the vision of the director. I would also like to add that Raja did not add more songs to the soundtrack just for salability. But these three songs are equivalent to 30 songs if dwelled deeply. Can't wait to watch the songs on the screen!.

venkkiram
16th March 2011, 11:27 PM
குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற - பதப்படுத்தாத ராஜாவின் குரல் உண்மையிலேயே பாடல் உருவாக்கத்தினை உச்சியில் கொண்டு வைக்கிறது... மேற்கத்திய கருவிகளின் இசை பக்கபலமாக இருந்தாலும், பாடலின் ஜீவன் அந்த குரலின் குழைவு, துள்ளல், பரிகாசம் வழியே தெரித்தோடுகிறது. பல்லவி முடியும் தருவாயில் ராஜா "ரொட்டி வைக்கத்தான் ஜோடி கட்டிவைக்கத்தான்" என ஒத்தையடிப் பாதையிலேயே ஒரு பெரிய U turn அடிக்கிறார் பாருங்க..அசந்துட்டேன்.. சந்தத்திற்கு ஏற்றவாறு பாடலின் வரிகளும் நல்லா நெய்யப்பட்டிருக்கு.

V_S
16th March 2011, 11:34 PM
குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற - பதப்படுத்தாத ராஜாவின் குரல் உண்மையிலேயே பாடல் உருவாக்கத்தினை உச்சியில் கொண்டு வைக்கிறது... மேற்கத்திய கருவிகளின் இசை பக்கபலமாக இருந்தாலும், பாடலின் ஜீவன் அந்த குரலின் குழைவு, துள்ளல், பரிகாசம் வழியே தெரித்தோடுகிறது. பல்லவி முடியும் தருவாயில் ராஜா "ரொட்டி வைக்கத்தான் ஜோடி கட்டிவைக்கத்தான்" என ஒத்தையடிப் பாதையிலேயே ஒரு பெரிய U turn அடிக்கிறார் பாருங்க..அசந்துட்டேன்.. சந்தத்திற்கு ஏற்றவாறு பாடலின் வரிகளும் நல்லா நெய்யப்பட்டிருக்கு.
Excellent post venkki sir! A very very different song from Raja in recent times. Absolute merry listening to it!

Sureshs65
16th March 2011, 11:53 PM
'poovakelu' is a clear example of Raja's Malayalam inspiration coming to Tamil. I am not thinking of 'odathandil'. I am more thinking of 'mazhamega chelin' from 'Katha Thudarunnu'. You can hear the same sort of rhythm in this song. Where there is one rather harsh beat in the rhythm, while the song itself is very melodious.

This album again showcases the newer Raja, who is much at peace with his synth and the recording techniques are good. This is a very good followup to 'Katha Thudarunnu' and 'Gayam 2'.

Shankar.P
17th March 2011, 12:04 AM
KK is awesome...I think no other singer can bring that enjoyment & the very inner feeling of the character this way. Poova...melody at its best...even if it is Malayalam inspired or not...it touches & soothes both heart and soul. be ready Ponnar Sankar and Happi on the way. let us celebrate!

http://accesskollywood.com/kollywood-news/5281-gautham-menon-shocked-at-seeing-alagar-samiyin-kuthirai

skr
17th March 2011, 01:22 AM
This is definitely a welcome change from Ayyan clearly highlighting the fact in the change of sound arrangement..Maestro in full form..
Kuthikkira Kuthikkira
The orchestration is brilliant..Raja's singing is a pleasure..his almost hineous laugh in Kuthikkira Kuthikkira is impeccable..such beautifully woven interludes
Poovakkelu
A folkish melody nicely sung well by Karthik esp and Shreya..The Ghatam usage is lovely and brings that nativity touch..really curious to c how it is picturised
Adiye Ivale
Interesting Thiruvizha song..Rajas territory so say no more

Also interesting to read the reviews of Jai,Sunil,VS,Suresh and others..Keep em coming..The good thing so far is that there havent been any negative reviews in the HUB so far which indicates that ASK is a sure shot winner..
Seems like Ponnar Shankar and Happi too will release by month end or early next month..Not expecting too much from the former but expecting to get drenched in the WCM of Happi..

skr
17th March 2011, 01:29 AM
Album of the year so far (Only padithurai can beat it IMO). And one of those rare Raja sir albums where I can't wait to see the videos! Having read the kuru-novel, I am sure the film will be very very good.

I totally agree with you.If there is one album which im eagerly awaiting for it is Padithurai..Mr Suka the Director has very good musical taste and am sure wud have extracted the best out of our Maestro..Infact he is on Facebook and keeps posting amazing gems of Maestro..

AravindMano
17th March 2011, 03:58 AM
poovakkELu is a complete winner. The moment when all instruments stop in the second interlude and leave the beats take over is breathtaking.

Plum
17th March 2011, 03:00 PM
Well, Nerd excited does raise the expectations. With due apologies to others, regulars here generally get excited for most albums :-)
pArkalAm

rajasaranam
17th March 2011, 04:45 PM
Well, Nerd excited does raise the expectations. With due apologies to others, regulars here generally get excited for most albums :-)
pArkalAm

Yov, Ayyanukku enga reaction ellam gavanikkalayaa?!! summa verum vaaya mella koodathum voi! :)

K
17th March 2011, 05:04 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/03/17-ahagarsamiyin-kuthirai-audio-launch-ilayaraja-aid0136.html

Punnaimaran
17th March 2011, 05:34 PM
என் இசைப்பயணத்தை நிறுத்திவிடுவேன் : இளையராஜா அதிரடி

http://www.nakkheeran.in/users/frmNews.aspx?N=50492

Sureshs65
17th March 2011, 07:09 PM
Videos of Raja in the CD release function of ASK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqcEqg7mfrI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESHrmbZ4J-4

(Via Ganapathy Ram in twitter)

Nerd
17th March 2011, 07:33 PM
Plum :oops:

Videos of Raja in the CD release function of ASK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqcEqg7mfrI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESHrmbZ4J-4

(Via Ganapathy Ram in twitter)

One of the most enjoyable speeches of sir in recent times. Compares this film with Anthikkad's.

Devaraagam
18th March 2011, 10:42 AM
ASK press meet. IR speech with usual emotions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5EAG4oASCE

Plum
18th March 2011, 12:01 PM
IR seems to have taken a dig on Nandhalala in the kumudam interview :lol:
manushan vayA pudungi romba kodAiyarAnga mediawallahs :evil:

RS, chummA oru fun-dig :-)

raajarasigan
18th March 2011, 12:44 PM

http://www.nakkheeran.in/users/frmNews.aspx?N=50492This is NOT there in the released album right?

Sureshs65
18th March 2011, 02:10 PM
Plum,

Seeing you after a long time. Do listen to the audio of ASK.

BTW, why so much 'kola veri' on Ponting :)

baroque
18th March 2011, 11:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Punnaimaran View Post

http://www.nakkheeran.in/users/frmNews.aspx?N=50492.

oh, yeah...

We let you know Shri.இளையராஜா after seeing the movie.

This director's vennila kabadi kuzhu is a nice movie.
MD Selvaganesh too did a memorable job.
there was a scene cycle- bus race, that girl was on the bus, this guy raced to mundhi the bus.... Selvaganesh used melodious flute bgm along with urumi to show the avasaram ... the scene end with lesa parakkudhu manasu.... tune in flute is memorable... I remember , I was in the kitchen preparing tea while my hubby was watching the movie that night. that flute was enchanting, caught my attention.

vinatha.

Nerd
19th March 2011, 12:15 AM
ASK press meet. IR speech with usual emotions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5EAG4oASCE
Its not the theme music as reported by Nakkeeran. Its the title music.

venkkiram
19th March 2011, 12:33 AM
அவதாரம் படத்தில் 'ஒரு குண்டுமணி குலுங்குதடி' - அதற்கு பிறகு "குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற".
நாட்டுப்புற மெட்டிற்கு மேற்கத்திய பின்னணி இசை என்பது ராஜாவிற்கே உரிய ப்யுஷன் என தெரிந்திருந்தாலும், மீண்டும் மீண்டும் "குதிக்கிற குதிக்கிற" பாடலை கேட்டு இன்புறும் போது, ராஜாவின் இந்த வெள்ளந்தியான குரலுக்கு நாட்டுப்புற இசைக்கருவிளோட இசை பக்கபலமா இருந்தா ( குறைந்த பட்சம் ஒலி நாடாவில் மட்டுமே இருவித உருவாக்கங்கள் இருந்திருந்தால் ) அந்த குரல்-பின்னணி இசைக் கலவையும் நல்லாயிருந்திருக்குமே எனத் தோன்றுகிறது.

MumbaiRamki
19th March 2011, 05:29 AM
venkiram,

Correct .. aana enakku ennamO , imagining the mountains as a backdrop, the orchestration looks apt- esp the second interlude ...
IS that Silk sumitha in ur avatar ? The pic looks terrific

venkkiram
19th March 2011, 06:56 AM
IS that Silk sumitha in ur avatar ? The pic looks terrificஆமாங்க.....

naarayanan
19th March 2011, 01:45 PM
what happend to photon kathas? no mention about it in the function.

K
19th March 2011, 06:10 PM
பூவக்கேளு பாட்டுக்கும் “மலையோரம் மயிலே”(ஒருவர் வாழும் ஆலயம்) பாட்டுக்கும் ஏதாவது தொடர்பு இருக்கா?(ஒரே ராகம் ?) இந்த பாட்ட கேக்கும் போது அந்த பாட்டும் ஞாபகம் வருது.

dochu
19th March 2011, 09:54 PM
@K - looks similar.

Similarly starting bit of Adiye evala resembles 'poda poda punnakku podatha thappu kannakku'.

Anyways, my audio set mouth erunthal will cry, getting over worked. all 3 songs are in a continuous loop. Still can't seem to be satiated especially with KK song.

venkkiram
21st March 2011, 06:28 AM
பூவக்கேளு பாட்டுக்கும் “மலையோரம் மயிலே”(ஒருவர் வாழும் ஆலயம்) பாட்டுக்கும் ஏதாவது தொடர்பு இருக்கா?(ஒரே ராகம் ?) இந்த பாட்ட கேக்கும் போது அந்த பாட்டும் ஞாபகம் வருது.

உங்களுக்கு அப்படியா? எனக்கு வேறுமாதிரி! "பூவைக்கேளு காத்தைக்கேளு" பாட்டின் பல்லவியை பாடிப் பார்க்கும் போது அடிக்கடி "அரும்பாகி மொட்டாகி பூவாகி" பாடலின் பல்லவி நினைவுக்கு வந்துவிடுகிறது. . வேறு யாருக்கேணும் இது தோன்றியிருக்கிறதா? ராகம் பற்றியெல்லாம் ஞானம் இல்லை.. இருந்தாலும் இரு பல்லவிகளின் கட்டமைப்பில் ஒற்றுமைகளைக் காண்கிறேன்.

raj_musing
23rd March 2011, 11:30 PM
Review of ASK songs

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-music-reviews/review-1/mar-11-04/azhagarsamiyin-kudhirai-music-review.html

suyambu
25th March 2011, 03:40 AM
Just heard once. still didn't register in me....waiting to hear few more times. how do you guys like it?

Shankar.P
25th March 2011, 09:00 PM
4 songs + awesome BGM by IR
- Director Thiagarajan on PS

jaiganes
26th March 2011, 01:34 AM
Just heard once. still didn't register in me....waiting to hear few more times. how do you guys like it?

I like it like vanilla almond pistachio icecream. Kuthikkira kuthikkira is my fave..

MumbaiRamki
26th March 2011, 07:27 PM
Ponnar sankar teaser for audio seem to be promising and significantly better than previous oyilin oosai ... The songs , even if 2 of them r classical , we have a winner !
Of course there will be this mandatory synth filed melody sung by bhava or bele shende which we have bear !

NormalMan
26th March 2011, 09:29 PM
Audio teaser where hear?

MumbaiRamki
26th March 2011, 09:53 PM
Kalaignar TV la pa ...

dochu
26th March 2011, 10:32 PM
IR is not doing 'Ponniyan selvan'. ARR has been booked. What a sad state of tamil film. MR - nella traditional's story'yai is going to kill with ARR music.

app_engine
27th March 2011, 02:52 AM
MR - nella traditional's story'yai is going to kill with ARR music.

Totally the opposite - if anything, only ARR's contribution (and may be some tech departments like camera) will be good in that project, IMSO.

All others seem to be soththai.

baroque
27th March 2011, 04:48 AM
yeah...A.R.R has the record that speaks for his care & magic for the period movies.
A.R.Rahman will do wonderful whether Mani takes as contemporary film like Raavanan , Swades etc.. or period movie of the respective century like Bose the forgotten hero , 1947 earth, Iruvar etc...
A.R.Rahman will do a magical job with the poetry / lyrics for the songs etc.

Shri.IR may or may not be in PS with ManiR etc... rumors are past & history.
put away....

ManiR & Rahman...BEST of LUCK.

Vinatha.

San_K
27th March 2011, 05:24 PM
IR is not doing 'Ponniyan selvan'. ARR has been booked. What a sad state of tamil film. MR - nella traditional's story'yai is going to kill with ARR music.

+1

ARR or Mani or both lost the 'touch'. And among ARR he can suit for 'western' period films not ours.

vigneshram
27th March 2011, 08:35 PM
Let's forget "Ponniyin Selvan". Any news on songs of Ponnar Sankar?
Thankfully, unlike dreaded, the trailer seems to be promising and definitely of better production values than Oliyin osai and other trashes.

Sureshs65
27th March 2011, 09:56 PM
Vignesh,

Yes, looks like no one has taken interest in Ponnar Shankar. Can someone let us know how the songs are, has the music been released and any links to listen to the songs?

vigneshram
27th March 2011, 10:39 PM
i've some hopes on ponnar sankar, considering it is thyagarajan's home production. Raja & thyagarajan have some long standing relationship (i remember reading somewhere that thyagarajan was part of raja's orchestra playing some instrument) and raja has always given extraordinary songs for him and prashanth movies. So, expecting some decent songs

skr
27th March 2011, 11:05 PM
Ive been searching for Ponnar Shankar songs everywhere on the net but to no avail..There is no mention anywhere regarding the audio launch..As opposed to this if u take ASK the songs were splashed on the net even b4 the launch took place..
Only news which i got was this interview by Prashanth where he quotes 'Even Isaignani Ilaiyaraaja, who composed only three songs initially, said he felt ‘motivated’ to compose a romantic number after seeing the visuals'
http://expressbuzz.com/entertainment/interviews/prashanth-on-%E2%80%98ponnar-shankar%E2%80%99/259930.html

Just hoping we get some link to hear the songs soon..Atleast expecting a couple of songs to be good..

skr
28th March 2011, 12:22 AM
CM launches Ponnar Shankar audio..IR present at the function..Check out pics..
http://www.kalakkalcinema.com/tamil_events_list.php?id=2161

jaiganes
28th March 2011, 02:49 AM
i've some hopes on ponnar sankar, considering it is thyagarajan's home production. Raja & thyagarajan have some long standing relationship (i remember reading somewhere that thyagarajan was part of raja's orchestra playing some instrument) and raja has always given extraordinary songs for him and prashanth movies. So, expecting some decent songs

Not just that, the story has strong native sentiments and character that regularly inspires Raaja.

jaiganes
28th March 2011, 02:50 AM
CM launches Ponnar Shankar audio..IR present at the function..Check out pics..
http://www.kalakkalcinema.com/tamil_events_list.php?id=2161

annan pesura maadhiri photo illai - so namma nimmadhi perumoochu vudalaam.

dochu
28th March 2011, 04:20 AM
Apologize for the diversion. I had to just point out that still MR or ARR is really not qualified to do this epic. Especially ARR, IMHO he lacks some values.

Ulaga thamizh manadu 2010 theme song - here this piece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AKj_gBqZgU&feature=player_detailpage#t=226s

Who would think of introducing a rap in a theme depicting the oldest language and rich culture. Absolute idiocy. what can I say, athaiyum kettu vittu clap addikkum tamilians neraya.

Hear this malabar advt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1eITdWSd2Y
A simple 30 sec clip brings out in depth values and richness of our culture. And that is IR!! even after 908 films, still rocking!.

Hence I am confident that ARR (and MR) is going to slaughter the epic novel.
End.

app_engine
28th March 2011, 05:54 AM
Ulaga thamizh manadu 2010 theme song

That should not be taken up as a reference, considering that it was a politicians' game. Don't you know that mukA wrote that poem? :lol: I don't think ARR had as much say as he would have wished.

The politicians simply wanted to ride on the popularity of this world famous -double Oscar winning - artist, that's about it.

Don't mistake me, I'm not saying that ARR will do a job better than IR for PS, BTW :-) IR is out of topic as for MR's PS now. Even otherwise, it's not worthwhile to compare the "original IR" with any of the contemporary artists or "current IR" :-) That malabar gold business etc are nothing compared to what he did when he was at his peak, IMSO.

All that I'm saying is ARR will do a decent job as he had consistently delivered goods when the stakes are high, like a MR or Shankar film.

It'll be far more superior to what MR / JeMo / Vijay / Anushka etc are going to deliver in the movie IMVSO!

That the Kalki epic is going to be massacred is already ensured in many other ways (don't want to discuss here, you'll know if you visit the PS thread in the Tamil Films section of the hub).

rajasaranam
28th March 2011, 10:36 AM
இன்னும் எவ்வளவு நாளைக்குதான் இப்படி நல்ல இசை குடுத்துட்டே இருப்பாரோ ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/embed/8tKamwQNXlY

Punnaimaran
28th March 2011, 11:02 AM
CM during the music release.

இந்த படத்திலே வரப்போகின்ற வெற்றிகளுக்கு என்னுடைய உரையாடல் மாத்திரம் காரணமாக இருக்க முடியாது; நான் எழுதிய திரைக்கதை மாத்திரம் காரணமாக இருக்க முடியாது. இதிலே இசையமைத்த என்னுடைய அருமைத்தம்பி இளையராஜாவை நான் பாராட்டாமல் இருக்க முடியாது. எந்தக் கதையை அவரிடத்திலே கொடுத்து, இசையமைக்க வேண்டுமேன்று கேட்டாலும், முதலில் கதையின் தரம் என்ன கதையின் போக்கு என்ன கதையின் கதாபாத்திரங்கள் யார் கதை நடைபெறுகின்ற காலம் எது என்பவைகளை எண்ணிப் பார்த்து, அதற்கேற்ப இசையமைக்கக்கூடிய ஆற்றல், தமிழ்நாட்டிலே ஒருவர், இருவருக்குத்தான் உண்டு. அவர்களிலே ஒருவர் நம்முடைய இசைஞானி இளையராஜா என்றால், அது மிகையாகாது. அவருக்கு "இசைஞானி'' என்ற பட்டத்தைக் கொடுத்ததும் நான்தான். நல்ல காலம் பட்டம் பெற்று, இவ்வளவு நாளுக்குப் பிறகும், அவர் விரோதமாகாமல் இருக்கிறார். ஏனென்றால், பல பேர் வைரமுத்து தவறாக எடுத்துக் கொள்ளக் கூடாது. பல பேர் என்னிடத்திலே பட்டம் பெற்றவர்கள் எல்லாம், திரும்ப என்னை எதிர்க்கின்ற, பகைத்துக் கொள்கின்றவர்களாகத்தான் இருந்திருக்கின்றார்கள்.

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2011, 11:40 AM
annan pesura maadhiri photo illai - so namma nimmadhi perumoochu vudalaam.
Jaiganes,
Was reading this . Thankfully , nobody noticed. Was laughing like a mad man !

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2011, 11:41 AM
WHat does this link have ? Any songs ?

Sureshs65
28th March 2011, 02:03 PM
Brief but a nice review of ASK music by Writer Mugil: http://www.writermugil.com/?p=1454

skr
28th March 2011, 02:17 PM
Ponnar Shankar Song List
Porulo Oviyam - Hariharan, Sriram Parthasarathy, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Mahalaxmi Iyer
Pennin Vadivame - Vijay Yesudas, Karthik
Maanaada Mayilaada - Shreya Ghoshal, Sadhana Sargam, Nithyashree Mahadevan
Por Thodangum - Madhu Balakrishnan, Kovai Kamala

Devaraagam
28th March 2011, 02:34 PM
Just thought...

Jan - Ayyan
Feb - azhagar Samiyin Kuthirai (Adjusted count as the release was happened early March)
Mar - Ponnar Sankar
April - Satyan Film

looks good...hope IR continue this and give us more songs..

KV
28th March 2011, 02:40 PM
No Bellashinde, Tippu, Bhava, etc. Hurrah!
The singers list looks promising when compared to any of IR's recent albums. Lighta expectation has increased'nga. (Is this Nityasree's first under IR's baton?)

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2011, 03:47 PM
Ponnar Shankar Song List
Porulo Oviyam - Hariharan, Sriram Parthasarathy, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Mahalaxmi Iyer
Pennin Vadivame - Vijay Yesudas, Karthik
Maanaada Mayilaada - Shreya Ghoshal, Sadhana Sargam, Nithyashree Mahadevan
Por Thodangum - Madhu Balakrishnan, Kovai Kamala

1) Shreya,sadhana,Nithyasree: IR seldom goes wrong in songs where there are more than one female singers and one of them is classical ! COmbine that with his favourite shreya ....
2) Kavita krishnamurthy, M Iyer singing after a loooooong time i guess
3) Por Thodangum : Interesting combo of madhu and Kovai kamala !
4) Vijay yesudas and karthik : Again first of its kind ..

Expecting more :)

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2011, 03:48 PM
Appadiye oru theme music includ epanna koranja povaanga ... v poor marketing package !!

raj_musing
28th March 2011, 03:52 PM
Just thought...

Jan - Ayyan
Feb - azhagar Samiyin Kuthirai (Adjusted count as the release was happened early March)
Mar - Ponnar Sankar
April - Satyan Film

looks good...hope IR continue this and give us more songs..

Satyan movie is not scheduled for April. That might happen only in Aug this year,as per an article which I read some time back..

raj_musing
28th March 2011, 04:02 PM
Audio release function:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJJOyVCCEM&feature=relmfu

Are the songs available anywhere?

K
28th March 2011, 06:03 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/03/28-ponnar-sankar-preview-aid0136.html

மும்பை ஸ்டுடியோ ஒன்றில் இந்தப் படத்தின் இசைச் சேர்ப்பு நடந்து கொண்டிருந்தபோது, படத்தின் காட்சிகளைப் பார்த்த மும்பை இயக்குநர்கள் சிலர், இந்தியில் வெளியான ஜோதா அக்பரை விட தரத்திலும் உருவாக்கத்திலும் மிகச் சிறப்பாக வந்துள்ளது பொன்னர் சங்கர் என கூறியதாக இளையராஜா தெரிவித்தார்.

Sunil_M88
28th March 2011, 07:10 PM
இன்னும் எவ்வளவு நாளைக்குதான் இப்படி நல்ல இசை குடுத்துட்டே இருப்பாரோ ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/embed/8tKamwQNXlY

This has redefined the definition of what a trailer is. :o

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2011, 07:11 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2011/03/28-ponnar-sankar-preview-aid0136.html

மும்பை ஸ்டுடியோ ஒன்றில் இந்தப் படத்தின் இசைச் சேர்ப்பு நடந்து கொண்டிருந்தபோது, படத்தின் காட்சிகளைப் பார்த்த மும்பை இயக்குநர்கள் சிலர், இந்தியில் வெளியான ஜோதா அக்பரை விட தரத்திலும் உருவாக்கத்திலும் மிகச் சிறப்பாக வந்துள்ளது பொன்னர் சங்கர் என கூறியதாக இளையராஜா தெரிவித்தார்.
idhu romba over ... but lets wait and watch !

MumbaiRamki
28th March 2011, 07:12 PM
This has redefined the definition of what a trailer is. :o
Not sure if this is IR music, but the trailer is outstandin !