PDA

View Full Version : Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

app_engine
24th April 2010, 07:51 AM
Just listened to the "katha idhu vara" samples on the web -

THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE!

Plum
24th April 2010, 08:17 AM
"Almost north african"
AdinnA? :lol:
Central african?
Just near north africa in the indian ocean
Just above north africa in south europe?
Pacific ocean?

Ascribing date and place to music - and making it sound like a big deal - a modern disease for tn music fans

Plum
24th April 2010, 08:19 AM
Gounderspeak:
North african drum north african papdthula use pannikkayenda. Inga vandhu enga thalaiyila endA adikkaringa andha ooru melatha?

inetk
24th April 2010, 10:27 AM
Plum, enna seyya, ungala maadhiri disease-free location'la naan illai. North African music incidentally is characterized by Algerian music, though it's unfair to attribute it to that country alone. For starters, try these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_North_Africa

Putumayo's North African Groove collection: http://www.putumayo.com/en/catalog_item.php?album_id=200

krish244
24th April 2010, 10:30 AM
Cherishing "Aaro" song. The way "Aaro" word is tuned is fantabulous. The entire song tune structure is very melodious. Initial humming of Chitra took me to back to humming of (Janaki??) in the song "Vaanuyarndha Solaiyile" song of Mohan movie.

Music in his recent Jazzy style is extremely pleasing. Loved both the interludes.

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
24th April 2010, 10:33 AM
Aaro paadunnu dhoore is superb , just what we expect from raaja - melodious and yet fresh and yet vintage ;)

Devaraagam
24th April 2010, 11:50 AM
Aaro paadunnu dhoore is bring fresh feeling and going to be yet another golden song from satyan and IR combo, ksc starts the humming beautifully and in the 1st interlude, as rajaaltheway said touching mudi mudi but I felt its for very short and immediately coming back from mudi mudi to aaro paadunnu pattern. I like the way song is ending....

Hari and KSC are sensible singer to understand rajas expectation.

Mazha Megam is another melody and IR is done very good job in the 1st and 2nd interludes. sweta is rendering beautifully.

Kizhakkumala is remind me thira thallipoyalum from bagyadevata. I do not know why....

rajaalltheway
24th April 2010, 01:05 PM
[tscii:bb1a3b4538]Wish i knew a bit more of the nuances and technical aspects of Raajas'music :( a la Sureshji...Iam taking 80% of my words back,after 3 days of listening AARO is numer one in my playlist.. thiss 3 decade mature Domaine Romanée-Conti served in Swarowski crystal glass.. Sureshji...:notworthy: [/tscii:bb1a3b4538]

Sureshs65
24th April 2010, 02:51 PM
[tscii:cbe87d2d40]
Iam taking 80% of my words back,after 3 days of listening AARO is numer one in my playlist.. thiss 3 decade mature Domaine Romanée-Conti served in Swarowski crystal glass..

rajaalltheway,

Wish I knew more about Romanee-Conti :) but I get what you are saying. I was more than convinced that for a person as deeply seeped in Raja's music as you, it was only a matter of time before 'aaro' became your favourite. You described it well. Vintage wine in a modern container. What freshness, what fragrance, what a taste. So, can someone blame us if we get intoxicated by this high brew? !!![/tscii:cbe87d2d40]

venkkiram
24th April 2010, 03:35 PM
I remember reading a statement of a Xerox engineer, when Xerox was at its innovative peak, "How can ask my customers what they want. My customers are not born yet!!!" This is the statement that comes to my mind whenever I see people suggesting what Raja should do. The ideas that he has will probably never be born inside us. One reason why we worship him, isn't it?

A general observation. There seems to be two Rajas when it comes to synth usage. One, in the style of 'Paa', where the recording and the synth effects are very nice and trendy. The other is the older style Raja. Somehow the synth effects aren't as good as the 'Paa' style and some old fashioned effects creep in once in a while. It will be great if Raja sticks to the 'Paa' style of recording as well as synth usage. It is very jazzy and attractive.

திரு சுரேஷ்,

தனி ஆல்பம் என வரும்போது ராஜா இப்படியெல்லாம் முயற்சி எடுக்கட்டும் என நான் எனது எண்ணங்களை பதிவுசெய்த போது நீங்கள் ஒருவிதமாக எனக்கு பதில் அளித்துவிட்டு, இப்போ உங்கள் எண்ணங்களை வசதியாக முன் வைப்பது முரணாகத் தெரியவில்லையா? என்னமோ போங்க! மாமியார் உடைத்தா மண்குடம். மருமக உடைத்தா பொன்குடமா!

Sureshs65
24th April 2010, 04:56 PM
Venki,

Suggesting a musical idea to Raja for an album and wishing for a better technical recording (or synth usage) in songs are two different things. As different as the 'mamiyar' and 'marumagal' that you allude to :D Do you really not understand the difference or are you just acting the 'mamiyar' part effectively :D

raghavendran
24th April 2010, 05:47 PM
i sont know the musical part of it...wish if i would have known..i would have got an oppurtunity to appreciate his music much more.

Sanjeevi
24th April 2010, 10:13 PM
Kadha Thudarunnu songs

ennamO avvalavA pudikkala

app_engine
24th April 2010, 10:43 PM
Isn't 'ஆரோ, பாடுன்னு தூரெ' pallavi a recycle of 'கீதா, சங்கீதா' ?

raja_fan
25th April 2010, 02:31 PM
Kadha Thudarunnu songs

How dare you !
What an refreshing album ! That Karthik song ! Wow...how beautiful !

Plum
25th April 2010, 04:10 PM
Underwhelming.

Also caught up with Suryakanthi and Bhagyada Bhalegara - also underwhelming.

Have caught up now with these 3 plus Malleppoovu, the telugu one, azhagar malai, valmiki
Anything else in the last 2 years? (Suresh?)

appushiva
25th April 2010, 04:10 PM
Hello Guys,

What is wrong in the "Kadha Thudarunnu" album by Ilayaraja sir.

The songs are apt for the malayalam story and situation , remember it is a malayalam movie, not a hyper subject movies.

Even the karthik song is good having the required pace.

I like it better than other ------ coming out recently.

Someone sign him for a mega budget and give him his required cost, he will make our ears go crazy..............

I have a good story with "out of the box" narration, if anybody knows how to approach the flim producers, give me a lead and will sign IR, we will change the trend - SERIOUSLY.

:D

Sanjeevi
25th April 2010, 04:28 PM
Kadha Thudarunnu songs

How dare you !

:lol: ori kai kuraiyuthunnu enniya koottu serkkureengalA

Sureshs65
25th April 2010, 04:53 PM
Plum,

Not sure if you have heard 'kannukulle', 'madhiya chennai' , 'chal chalein' and 'jaganmohini'. Given that I have not seen comments from you about these movies, it is possible that you have not yet heard them. My belief is that you will probably find them underwhelming as well, except probably 'Jaganmohini'. But still worth a listen.

Sureshs65
25th April 2010, 05:01 PM
appu is right in the sense that Raja is scoring for Sathyan's film and not for a separate album as such. In case this movie is like 'Bhagyadevatha' I am sure the songs would be liked by all. As I had said in my review, Sathyan seems to following the same pattern when it comes to songs and Raja is giving him what he wants. I am liking the songs a lot and I am not complaining.

I can understand people not being immediately taken in by the songs and not finding the songs 'new'. Fair enough. But for me, if I forget about the 'new' aspect, the melody in each of the songs is amazing and I am enjoying them thoroughly.

Sureshs65
25th April 2010, 05:05 PM
Kadha Thudarunnu songs

How dare you !

How dare you!!! I don't understand why Karthik, the great singer, sang that completely rehashed song. This movie will bring down Sathyan, just as I predicted for 'Bhagyadevatha'. There is nothing left in Sathyan or Raja. This is what I have been saying for the past few movies of their combination!!! :lol:

raagas
26th April 2010, 01:51 PM
Hi Folks!

Been a real long time since I visited hub. Hows everyone doing?

I dont think i can catch up with all the posts here.. :) But interesting to know that there is a new IR album. Any links for online listening? (till the time i get the cd).

Thanks Suresh for a review. Helps me :)

Is there anything else i missed? Any album or important news-bit?

raja_fan
26th April 2010, 03:21 PM
Raagas,

Don't worry !

This thread was once a very dynamic thread. Always there was some new IR album to be discussed.
Nowadays, it is more like a mega serial..Something will be happening, but nothing new. You can always return and find the same place you left ;)

kameshratnam
26th April 2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Folks!

Been a real long time since I visited hub. Hows everyone doing?

I dont think i can catch up with all the posts here.. :) But interesting to know that there is a new IR album. Any links for online listening? (till the time i get the cd).

Thanks Suresh for a review. Helps me :)

Is there anything else i missed? Any album or important news-bit?

Please wait for the cd to arrive at your place and then listen. It may not even come to your place. Please contact Star music in cbe to get ur cds

Else u wud irke people like VEL :D

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 03:40 PM
raagas,

Check your pm.

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 03:46 PM
raja_fan,

Your analogy to mega serial is apt. The actors also remain the same and some disappear for a short while and re-appear :lol: And I don't need to expand about characters whose only job is find faults. We should probably think up a good name for this serial and also a good title song :D

raagas
26th April 2010, 05:07 PM
Karthik of itwofs, gives a positive review: http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2010/04/23/music-review-kadha-thudarunnu-malayalam-ilayaraja/

Bottomline: "Yet another thoroughly enjoyable Raja soundtrack for Sathyan Anthikkad."

vel
26th April 2010, 06:34 PM
[quote=raagas] Else u wud irke people like VEL :D

thanks for being my 'unpaid' PR :D Happy to have effected some positive change.

raja_fan
26th April 2010, 08:07 PM
raja_fan,

Your analogy to mega serial is apt. The actors also remain the same and some disappear for a short while and re-appear And I don't need to expand about characters whose only job is find faults. We should probably think up a good name for this serial and also a good title song

Yes :)
And I don't need to explain about characters who overact/overreact for every paasakkaatchi and some mokkai comedians ;)

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 08:46 PM
Yes :)
And I don't need to explain about characters who overact/overreact for every paasakkaatchi and some mokkai comedians ;)

Appreciate your sense of humor. Didn't know you could laugh at yourself ;)

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 09:00 PM
Getting back to the music. Listen to the karoake version of 'aaro'. As one friend pointed out, there is no way you can dream that a melody like 'aaro padunnu' could have been overlaid on this rhythm!!! Especially when the beat is following the charanam. I mean, you will definitely think of some other song structure if you listen to the beat alone. But when you hear the song with the beat it fits in so well!!

I love the rhythm for the charanam of 'mazhamega' song. Very well done. Some synth could have been probably avoided but overall loving this song as well.

raja_fan
26th April 2010, 09:31 PM
Appreciate your sense of humor. Didn't know you could laugh at yourself

I give up.
As always, I didn't start this loop of attacking any hubber in specific.
I sincerely hope you will find enough time to discuss about IR and his music, if only you forget about targeting me ;)

Sureshs65
27th April 2010, 07:35 AM
Vicky's take on 'aaro paadunno' song. As usual, he expresses his view in his own inimitable style.

http://ragadevan.blogspot.com

kameshratnam
27th April 2010, 07:40 AM
[quote=raagas] Else u wud irke people like VEL :D

thanks for being my 'unpaid' PR :D Happy to have effected some positive change.

U dont realize the pathetic situation...kerala is near TN and i cannot get the cds in chennai

appram enna peria original cd kelu....dont support piracy...

vel
27th April 2010, 10:19 AM
That something is not available does not mean you resort to illegal ways to get it...you should use other legal alternatives. (according to your logic pocket'la panam illadhavan thirudalam...WELL, THATS' DEFINETLY NOT OK..)

Hulkster
1st May 2010, 07:57 AM
http://www.kadhathudarunnu.com/

Visit the above website for the promo.

It seems promo title track is scored by ashwath and not thalaivar. :banghead:

MumbaiRamki
3rd May 2010, 03:16 PM
I think somebody commented (rajallatheway i gues ) abt the similarity of aarao song from KT to mudhi mudhi . I find the orchestration of this song much more closer to heart , what we expect from raaja . Im just dead tired of hearing these cooked songs with wonderful sounds , but nothing to heart.

Plum
3rd May 2010, 03:55 PM
Just heard 'aaro paadunnu doore' from 'Katha Thodarunnu'. Very intriguing song. I can understand RajaAlltheway's reference to 'Mudi Mudi'. The orchestration is in the same jazzy style. Lovely guitar, piano and violin usage, in a very jazzy form. The charanam is very interesting with the rhythms going very steady against a tune which twists and turns. What a melody buildup in the charanam. What intrigues me is the pallavi itself. The start reminds me of old Hindi film songs. The same way 'Swapnangal' reminded me of old Hindi songs. I can understand why Sathyan was enthusiastic about this song in his interview and said he always demanded melodies from Raja. The whole orchestration is very similar to 'Paa'. Both the interludes are lovely. The way the song starts with 'Aaaaro' and Chitra follows with 'aaatmavil' is enough to pay for the full CD!!! Outstanding song which can only be conceived by a genius like Raja who can mix the great music of past with his own sensibilities and to that add a jazz layer. A song to keep for a long time, as Sathyan had mentioned in his interview.

After multiple listenings, still not impressed enough to consider this in the same level as Bhagya devata. But I agree with Suresh here - the pallavi is hindi-ish. More specifically, the same form of music as the Sonu Nigam Song from Sangharsh (Pehli pehli baar balliyE, the portion which goes rabba maino pyAr hO gayA...haiii..dil beqarar ho gaya). I dont know what they call it - khayal or some form of ghazal or sort of Punjabi Ghazal or whatever it is. But it certainly has a name, which escapes my mind now. But then, typically, Raja digresses into other forms and ends up with a variation of Twinkle Twinkle little star!

As a foreign critic, asked to review a IR CD(possibly by our own irir123) said something to the tune of he is disturbed by the straddling across multiple genres in 30-45 seconds, I feel I am failing to keep pace with the thought process of Raja. Maybe, exposure to modern indian film music has left me unable to process the complexity in Raja's composition. Maybe, I'd prefer the plainer Bhagya devata where there was more of sticking to the genre and style of the song throughout. Maybe thats the effect of constant exposure to hook-based modern indian film music!

It is, perhaps, no surprise, then, that Kizhakku mala is the song that has appealed most to me from this album.

raagas
3rd May 2010, 07:11 PM
[tscii:4e1acf834a]As always Milliblog's Karthik writes a very crisp take on the album: "Aaro paadunnu dhoore – Kadha thudarunnu (Malayalam – Ilayaraja)
Ilayaraja seems to be reserve some of his choicest melodies to Malayalam, that too, to Sathyan Anthikkad, in particular. This soundtrack has just 3 songs (if you ignore the Karaoke versions) and each one is so vintage Raja that you wonder why he strangely nixes his Tamil compositions. The choice of Hariharan is a masterstroke in Aaro paadunnu and the tune has just the fine tinge of melancholy that makes it a great listen!"

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2010/05/02/top-recent-listens-april-2010/[/tscii:4e1acf834a]

writeface
3rd May 2010, 09:09 PM
>>The choice of Hariharan is a masterstroke...

Hmm..I could never stand Hariharan. This song, however, is a true delight, a little drip drip of honey...I still don't care for Hariharan's voice.

Gokul.

raj_musing
4th May 2010, 10:19 AM
Listen to the song and with good picturisation...its truly a delight indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq1yHehjW1o

vel
4th May 2010, 10:27 AM
got the Kadha thodarunnu CD and also pazhassi raaja original DVD (moser baer) from star trak ! The hariharan song in this album is perhaps the first hariharan song i liked on the very first listen. Awesome melody, so unique, so fresh, and so unheard of...hariharan sounds at home (like he does with his gazals)..

kiru
4th May 2010, 02:15 PM
>>The choice of Hariharan is a masterstroke...

Hmm..I could never stand Hariharan. This song, however, is a true delight, a little drip drip of honey...I still don't care for Hariharan's voice.

Gokul.
Maybe only you and me think this way. Probably Hariharan himself or the new generation audience things this is a voice from heaven. Dammit..from the days of MKT we have had amazing voices in the south indian film industry. the lack of high-quality recording in those days probably did not do justice to these voices. I am completely underwhelmed. Listen to SPB now..people say he sounds like he is getting younger..no the recording is better now.. I

raagas
4th May 2010, 03:47 PM
I beg to differ.I feel Hariharan has good voice. Lets not get into the songs but his voice as such.. i feel.. has its own depth. Hariharan is not one of the current breed singers who make it to the top with one hit song. He is from the old school as well. He was introduced by the legendary composer Jaidev way back in 1978. And he has learnt Hindustani as well as Carnatic. And his rendition of Ghazals too, has some warmth. I dont say that his voice is suitable to a great variety of songs like SPB's voice, but he has got a good voice for certain kind of songs and the talent too. His understanding about Urdu pronunciation is amazing, something none of the current gen singers display. and some of his ghazals are so melodious that fit his voice very well. But yes, I dont like everything that he sings. I think he is more suited for soft numbers. There is a song from his "Colonial Cousins - The Way We do It", called "Dekhoon Main Jahaan". Please give it a try, to understand what I am talking about and where he really shines.

Even for IR, his renditions such as "Meetadha Oru Veenai" is amazing. The kind of depth and base he brings out in charanams is beautiful.

Bala (Karthik)
4th May 2010, 05:31 PM
What's with this thing against Hariharan? Just curious...

P.S: I also have problems with his style while singing certain Thamizh songs, but as a singer he is right up there IMO

writeface
5th May 2010, 03:07 AM
Raagas, Bala:

I have nothing against HH personally:) I have attended his ghazal concert in '90 or '91 when he came to KREC. I don't mind his ghazals. I can't seem to warm up to his thamizh pronunciation and singing. I don't want to flame anyone, but HH suits ARR's music better than IR's.

lets move on.

Kiru,

:-)

raagas
5th May 2010, 08:40 AM
Raagas, Bala:

I have nothing against HH personally:) I have attended his ghazal concert in '90 or '91 when he came to KREC. I don't mind his ghazals. I can't seem to warm up to his thamizh pronunciation and singing.

lets move on.

Kiru,

ah! i dont understand tamil. so probably thats why it works for me. :-)

jaiganes
5th May 2010, 09:05 PM
Raagas, Bala:

I have nothing against HH personally:) I have attended his ghazal concert in '90 or '91 when he came to KREC. I don't mind his ghazals. I can't seem to warm up to his thamizh pronunciation and singing.

lets move on.

Kiru,

The same way I am enjoying kunal ganjawaala's chinna polike.
:-) (sorry couldnt resist from postin this one)

raagas
6th May 2010, 12:09 PM
Raagas, Bala:

lets move on.

Kiru,

The same way I am enjoying kunal ganjawaala's chinna polike.
:-) (sorry couldnt resist from postin this one)

Trust me, I just thought about this one when Kiru spoke abt HH's tamil. I mean, I also drew the same parallel :-)

app_engine
6th May 2010, 05:29 PM
ஹரிஹரன் தமிழை சில சமயம் கடிச்சுத்துப்புற மாதிரி, கார்த்திக் மலையாளத்தைக்கடிச்சுத்துப்பி இருக்காரு (களித்தடம் for e.g.).

இந்தக்"கிணத்துக்குள்ள இருந்து பாடும்" ஆளை விட்டா வேற ஆளே கிடைக்கலையா? அதுவும் மலையாளத்தில்? :-(

அருமையான தாளலயம், அழகான இடை இசைகள் உள்ள ஒரு பாட்டை வதம் செய்திருக்கிறார்கள் :-(

I've started liking the mazha mEgham song more than the other two now, thanks to excellent singing by both! Just watch out for how Vijay renders the மான் மிழி when the pallavi is sung between saraNams. He has the flow of yesteryear singers! One wishes that IR used orchestration like the one for ArO pAdunnu for this song also.

ArO is good, though the vocals do not stand out that well in that (I think there's some "hear-from-far-away-effectu", but it gets on my nerves)

jaiganes
6th May 2010, 08:34 PM
ஹரிஹரன் தமிழை சில சமயம் கடிச்சுத்துப்புற மாதிரி, கார்த்திக் மலையாளத்தைக்கடிச்சுத்துப்பி இருக்காரு (களித்தடம் for e.g.).

இந்தக்"கிணத்துக்குள்ள இருந்து பாடும்" ஆளை விட்டா வேற ஆளே கிடைக்கலையா? அதுவும் மலையாளத்தில்? :-(

அருமையான தாளலயம், அழகான இடை இசைகள் உள்ள ஒரு பாட்டை வதம் செய்திருக்கிறார்கள் :-(

I've started liking the mazha mEgham song more than the other two now, thanks to excellent singing by both! Just watch out for how Vijay renders the மான் மிழி when the pallavi is sung between saraNams. He has the flow of yesteryear singers! One wishes that IR used orchestration like the one for ArO pAdunnu for this song also.

ArO is good, though the vocals do not stand out that well in that (I think there's some "hear-from-far-away-effectu", but it gets on my nerves)

I think Jayaram is acting as a thamizh auto driver in the movie - isnt he?

Sureshs65
11th May 2010, 06:22 PM
app,

I too think that probably M G Sreekumar could have sung the 'kizhakkumala' song. MGS does a good job of such songs, 'thevaram', 'marakudaiyal' etc. Maybe Raja wanted a change but for this song someone with a stronger voice would have probably worked better.

I too hold the same views wrt Hariharan's singing. He is far better suited for Rahman and Harris songs. This is not to say he is a bad singer but his style seems to suit others better than Raja. Anyway, he has done a decent job in 'aaro', but as you say, not something which is a standout.

'mazhamega' has the best choice of singers, both Shweta and Vijay doing a fine job. Yup, as I wrote in my review, I too wish Raja had orchestrated this song also like the 'aaro' song. The synth effects in a few places could have been avoided is my feeling.

The 'Bhagyadevatha' hangover exists in the picturisation. The songs seem to be played in very similar situations like Bhagyadevatha.

Overall, it is very nice to hear a fully melody dominated film soundtrack. Been hearing this continuously for some time now. All three songs have their own charm.

Sureshs65
11th May 2010, 06:36 PM
As a foreign critic, asked to review a IR CD(possibly by our own irir123) said something to the tune of he is disturbed by the straddling across multiple genres in 30-45 seconds, I feel I am failing to keep pace with the thought process of Raja. Maybe, exposure to modern indian film music has left me unable to process the complexity in Raja's composition. Maybe, I'd prefer the plainer Bhagya devata where there was more of sticking to the genre and style of the song throughout. Maybe thats the effect of constant exposure to hook-based modern indian film music!

It is, perhaps, no surprise, then, that Kizhakku mala is the song that has appealed most to me from this album.

Joesph Brodsky, the noble prize winning poet, once gave a speech on why he considered poetry to be better than prose. He ended up by saying that if you are addicted to prose, it is still OK. "As addictions go, it is not bad." Same way, if you are still hooked to 'Bhagyadevatha' it is not bad :)

In a way what you say is right. Raja is definitely exploring the jazz genre a lot nowadays. I had earlier written about this when I summarized Raja's output of 2009. Vicky makes the same point in his excellent blog post here:

http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/

The jazz usage is evident in 'aaro'. It is not so much in the other two songs. (One reason why rajaalltheway felt the 'Paa' effect I guess.) As you rightly say, he is straddling multiple genres here.

raagas
11th May 2010, 06:52 PM
In 'mazhamega', a certain part of synth percussion is little loud(for my ears). usually, IR's percussions, be it real or synth, dont hurt ears and they are easy-listening, even if the beats go real wild. But in this song, I feel my ears are being punched. The last I felt the same was "Vasantha Nilaave" from "Sooriyan". I wondered what happened to IR, for such an assault on us. Firstly, that song had a brilliant tune & melody and those synth loops were unnecessary. Secondly, they were loud enough to kill the whole beauty.
Mazha Megha has nice melody and interesting synthsizer arrangements too. But my ears!!!!!! aargh!

rajaalltheway
17th May 2010, 08:28 PM
Saw 'Katha thudarunnu' yesterday.Crowd was moderate,maybe 60% occupancy.Wonder why Sathyan makes movies one after another :? .Mamtha mohandas a hindu,very rich and a medico falls for a rather poor muslim keyboard player,marries him and a baby girl is born.Tragedy strikes and mamtha is a young widow not knowing what to do next.She cant pay rent and sleeps "on the railway playform"...no friends or doorathu sonthams to provide even a shelter :lol: .Good samaritan Jayaram and his motley crew of angels saves the two and even provides Mamtha with a medical degree..Ayya simply goes through the routine..

rajaalltheway
17th May 2010, 08:28 PM
Saw 'Katha thudarunnu' yesterday.Crowd was moderate,maybe 60% occupancy.Wonder why Sathyan makes movies one after another :? .Mamtha mohandas a hindu,very rich and a medico falls for a rather poor muslim keyboard player,marries him and a baby girl is born.Tragedy strikes and mamtha is a young widow not knowing what to do next.She cant pay rent and sleeps "on the railway playform"...no friends or doorathu sonthams to provide even a shelter :lol: .Good samaritan Jayaram and his motley crew of angels saves the two and even provides Mamtha with a medical degree..Ayya simply goes through the routine..

Sureshs65
17th May 2010, 09:50 PM
Hmmm. Looks like a typical Sathyan movie. I think Malayalam is the only bastion left of Raja. His music is still dew fresh for the Malayalam movies. Hopefully he will get some good movies with good directors.

Sureshs65
17th May 2010, 10:00 PM
Still listening to the songs of 'katha tudarunnu' on a daily basis and still enamoured with 'aaro padunnu doore'.

As I wrote in another thread, nowadays Raja does a lot of complex orchestration and tuning but makes it look very simple, giving people an impression that he is not experimenting. Let us take 'aaro padunnu'. The prelude itself is charming with the violins playing counter to the keyboard and the keyboard continue providing the rhythm before the drums step in. The lines are also of different length, with the second line of the pallavi starting a beat earlier. Observe how the drumming stops and only the keyboard accompanies Chitra when she sings the line of pallavi. There is a very minute pause before the first interlude starts. And what an interlude that is. First the guitar, then the keyboard and then the violin with bass as the constant accompaniment. In the charanam, Raja gives a lot of space. The vocals end with two beats remaining which are filled in by the drums. I also love the way the charanam ends. While the first interlude waits briefly before starting, the second interlude just flows, with some lovely keyboard and violin work. Everything is done with a modern outlook but the soul remains intact. A gem of a song.

app_engine
20th May 2010, 10:18 PM
For records' sake, there's an IR movie in Thamizh, possibly the first in 2010 :

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=568143&disdate=5/20/2010

Sureshs65
21st May 2010, 05:00 PM
Looks like 'Padithurai' could be the only film we can look forward to this year in Tamil. Don't know when that will release. Otherwise the scene is not too bright, in Tamil or in other languages. Let's hope something works out from his Mumbai trip. Wish they would release SRK.

Hulkster
21st May 2010, 05:15 PM
They said Padithurai will release in June. Exact date not announced. They have been releasing stills so far though.

Audio release should be anytime soon. :D

app_engine
21st May 2010, 07:56 PM
[tscii:9b7de53f2c]http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/music/article434387.ece

Interesting article!

How do film songs help? “Artists appropriate film songs and make them vehicles for self-expression. If you take Ilayaraja's ‘Annakili' song, you will find that it is a sombre tune, sung at a slow pace. But I've heard naiyyandi melam troupes, who play the same tune in such a way that it becomes a light-hearted tune.”

[/tscii:9b7de53f2c]

cry_sandiego
21st May 2010, 10:31 PM
<. Everything is done with a modern outlook but the soul remains intact. A gem of a song.>

Can't agree more.. been on repeat mode the last couple of days.. just came back to IR songs after a few months.. What a refreshing song..Haunting.. yet to listen to the other songs.. ( PAA effect is there a little bit whenever i hear the jazz touches right after the first saranam )..

Reminded me also of "Mellai onnu paadi " from the other Sathyan Movei ( manasinnakare? )

Cheers
MSK

Sureshs65
21st May 2010, 11:56 PM
MSK,

Nice to see you back. Yes. The PAA effect exists as rajaalltheway pointed out in his first review. The overall mood is definitely that of 'mellayonnu' (yes, 'manasinakkare') and 'swapnangal kannezhudiya'. Soft romantic numbers which give you a very nostalgic feeling. As if you have been taken back to a place where nothing wrong can happen!!!

Sureshs65
22nd May 2010, 02:33 PM
Nowadays I see the posters of the movie 'Nanavanu' in a few places in Bangalore. Not sure when this movie would be released. Given the general fate of most Kannada movies, there is nothing to look forward to in this movie. The songs, frankly, haven't caught the imagination of the people here. In case the movie runs a bit, you may get to hear the songs. I personally hear 'enidhu enidhu' and 'mudhalane baari' quite often. Excellent melodies. Whether they will reach the masses is the question.

app_engine
27th May 2010, 10:31 PM
'gatha' could become the next IR venture in MF
(Mohanlal, supposedly musical)

http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article439405.ece

rooky
29th May 2010, 09:02 AM
Nowadays I see the posters of the movie 'Nanavanu' in a few places in Bangalore. Not sure when this movie would be released. Given the general fate of most Kannada movies, there is nothing to look forward to in this movie. The songs, frankly, haven't caught the imagination of the people here. In case the movie runs a bit, you may get to hear the songs. I personally hear 'enidhu enidhu' and 'mudhalane baari' quite often. Excellent melodies. Whether they will reach the masses is the question.

Nannavanu is released yesterday(28 May) in quite a good number of theaters here in bangalore.

rajaalltheway
31st May 2010, 07:21 PM
GOOD NEWS--According to Mathrubhoomi news paper dated 30-5-2010 acclaimed art house director Shaji.n.Karun has signed Ayya for his next Mohanlal starrer.BAD NEWS--Shajis last movie KUTTY SRANK starring Mammooty yet to see the light of the day other than various film festivals

app_engine
8th June 2010, 12:03 AM
Snippet on 'padiththuRai' (http://chennaionline.com/tamil/cinema/news/newsitem.aspx?NEWSID=f55f04c2-2de2-4b18-bee4-07e89858e77f&CATEGORYNAME=TFILM)

"நிச்சயமாக படித்துறையில் நடக்கும் கதை அல்ல இது. மூன்று அர்த்தங்களின் அடிப்படையில்தான் இந்த தலைப்பை வைத்திருக்கிறேன். தாமிரபரணி நதியோடும் நெல்லையில் நிகழ்கிற கதை என்பது ஒரு அர்த்தம். ஆறு ஓடிக்கொண்டே இருக்கும், மனிதர்கள் வந்து போவார்கள். ஆனால் படித்துறை மெளனசாட்சியாக அங்கேயே நிலைத்திருக்கும் என்பதும் மற்றொரு அர்த்தம். படித்துறை என்பது வாழ்வின் ஏற்ற இறக்கத்துக்கான குறியீடு என்ற வகையிலும் என் கதைக்கு பொருத்தமான தலைப்பாக இருக்கும்"

Sureshs65
8th June 2010, 10:01 PM
app_eng,

Does he say anything about the movie release date or atleast the music release date?

app_engine
8th June 2010, 10:06 PM
Sureshji,

I haven't read anything about the dates anywhere.

One thing is clear, this Sugha seems to be no ordinary / average director. BM's asst also. This could be an engaging film, even if not a biggie commercially.

Moreover, he supposedly has good knowledge of ICM. What IR needs in TFM is such a guy to get some gems. I'm sure there'll be a couple of classics in this album!

Sureshs65
10th June 2010, 11:44 PM
app,

I too hope so. Already Suga and JM have said the songs have come out well. Eagerly waiting for the songs. Half year has gone and only one album till now!!! edhavadu release pannungappa!!

Sureshs65
12th June 2010, 10:08 AM
[tscii:28a60e3df9]One more movie down the drain. The story of current Illayaraja.

From a review of 'Nannavanu' (Kannada):

"Nannavanu is a romantic thriller movie, which has a mysterious plot that goes on unfolding scene by scene. The movie has all essential commercial elements, but Ilayaraja’s music is the only solace to the audience. Although the director has chosen a good story, he has failed in narrating it. The editing is the biggest drawback of the film. It has comedy, but irrelevant jokes and indecent mannerism mar its beauty."

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/kannada/reviews/2010/nannavanu-movie-review-310510.html[/tscii:28a60e3df9]

Sureshs65
12th June 2010, 10:14 AM
One more. "Even Ilayaraja melody tracks did not impress the audience to watch the movie"

http://www.bangalorexpo.com/movie-reviews/kannada-movies/nannavanu/

thumburu
14th June 2010, 02:23 PM
Regarding "Nannavanu" , a couple of weeks back, TOI Bangalore edition also gave a big "thumbs down" to the movie and the music

app_engine
14th June 2010, 10:08 PM
திருமங்கலத்தில் யானை - ராஜ்கிரண் (http://chennaionline.com/tamil/cinema/news/newsitem.aspx?NEWSID=6486f922-6ad0-42cf-8b99-db5c95429aca&CATEGORYNAME=TFILM)

Sureshs65
14th June 2010, 10:20 PM
app_eng,

Any chance of this movie coming out? :( So many films still in the cans. 'Mayilu', 'SRK', 'Happy'. Lets hope for the best.

raagas
15th June 2010, 11:30 AM
app_eng,

Any chance of this movie coming out? :( So many films still in the cans. 'Mayilu', 'SRK', 'Happy'. Lets hope for the best.

Happy is not in Cans. It is expected to release soon.

Shahid Kapur (though he is not acting in the film) recently said: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Shahid-Kapoor-Happi-about-dad-s-performance/Article1-555700.aspx

raagas
15th June 2010, 05:53 PM
And here is an update from the content head of website bollywoodhungama: http://twitter.com/Faridoon_S/status/16217312614

Pankaj Kapur sang 4 songs in Happi.

irir123
15th June 2010, 07:13 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/57788.html

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/news/2010/pankaj-sean-happi-110610.html

raagas
16th June 2010, 12:17 PM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/video/Parties-and-Events/Wq0ia926/3/Ilaiyaraja-Creates-Happi-Magic.html

Happi BGM recording

Sureshs65
16th June 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the link raagas. Wonderful music. May I say, as usual.

Time to point this to irir123 for his reaction :)

raagas
16th June 2010, 04:07 PM
As always, I just hope they release the OST.The director was very appreciative about the genre of the background score. I just hope she releases it. But then, even if she wants to, audio companies need to come forward.

anegan
16th June 2010, 04:30 PM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/video/Parties-and-Events/Wq0ia926/3/Ilaiyaraja-Creates-Happi-Magic.html

Happi BGM recording
What a Wonder!

As usual is Raaja's interview. Rajaaaaaa :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

vssathish
16th June 2010, 04:56 PM
IR with HSO in Mumbai for Happi Re-Recording

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/News-Interviews/Ilayarajas-musical-journey/articleshow/6053635.cms

IR is in Mumbai this week for the recording

IR Rulz

irir123
16th June 2010, 08:32 PM
Bhavna Talwar was very recently in a major controversy, when she threatened to sue Vidhu Vinodh Chopra over the selection of EKLAVYA as an Oscar entry over her DHARM - I just hope IR's association with her does not antagonise IR with the Chopra lobby in Bollywood (which I think is quite strong/ powerful)

Fliflo
16th June 2010, 08:36 PM
Ilayaraja, the Beethoven of Tamil Nadu

- Enna koothu Nadakkuthu

Beethoven of TN - IR
Mozart of Madras-ARR
Vivaldi of Villivakkam -??
Bach of Burma Bazaar-??

Kosu thollai thaangalaida saamee.

NormalMan
16th June 2010, 10:16 PM
No distinguishable apsect in the score - he used to have this before in all his BGM scores. Not any more - wonder why....

irir123
16th June 2010, 11:04 PM
NormalMan - the music clippings are not even a min long! how are you able to arrive at a conclusion as above ?

app_engine
17th June 2010, 12:08 AM
எது எப்படியோ, இந்த ஹப்பி ஒரு நந்தலாலா ஆகாமல் இருந்தால் சரி :-)

jaiganes
17th June 2010, 12:54 AM
எது எப்படியோ, இந்த ஹப்பி ஒரு நந்தலாலா ஆகாமல் இருந்தால் சரி :-)vaaya vechukittu summa irum Oi.

NormalMan
17th June 2010, 02:01 AM
NormalMan - the music clippings are not even a min long! how are you able to arrive at a conclusion as above ?

I wasn't poking holes at this clip, but in general off late. Look at all his recent BGM scores. None had a distinguishable, repeatable theme like MR or Jhonny or many from BR's movies.

MumbaiRamki
17th June 2010, 06:02 AM
Normal man ...thats because none of those movies had a distinct character which requires such theme based movies ..

( check out maayakannadi , it does have theme based scores ...)

MumbaiRamki
17th June 2010, 06:05 AM

Happi BGM recording
What a Wonder!

As usual is Raaja's interview. Rajaaaaaa :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

regarding his interview - remember , the questions were hidden and edited out !!!!

raagas
17th June 2010, 11:47 AM
Bhavna Talwar was very recently in a major controversy, when she threatened to sue Vidhu Vinodh Chopra over the selection of EKLAVYA as an Oscar entry over her DHARM - I just hope IR's association with her does not antagonise IR with the Chopra lobby in Bollywood (which I think is quite strong/ powerful)

Ah thats a far fetched thought! Besides i would really like IR to work with Vidhu Vinod Chopra (though chances are rare) because he has a fantastic music sense, particularly in the ones he directed. from what i observed, he likes lot of rich music (his favourite composers were S.D.Burman & R.D.Burman). Sanjay Leela Bhansali is another director who has absolutely good music preferences. Ah, if only they take notice of Ilaiyaraaja's capabilities...

Plum
17th June 2010, 01:07 PM
VVC produced Rajkumar Hirani movies have had horrendous music. The first one with Anu Malil was excusable but if he cant extract good out of Shantanu Moitra, then Hirani has to be considered a musical-ear-less person.

VVC - yes, 1942 was very good and Kareeb was middling ok. But after that? Mission Kashmir was okayish only, and further to that, cant see much.
Bhansali - wavelength match aagaadhu IR-Oda. Perhaps, he needs Rahman. Bhansali is the type who has a lot of suggestions and input into music, and he wants it the way he wants it, and it needs a humble MD who has the time to listen to him patiently and accept his ego. At this stage, IR doesnt need to do that. Cost vs Benefit is not good enough

raagas
17th June 2010, 02:14 PM
Plum,

I agree on hirani's films, but VVC produced Parineeta had good music. VVC directed films have music that is much much better than usual crop.I agree that Kareeb was ok, but if we see it from Anu Malik's standing point, it is much better. VVC's Ekalavya had good music by Shantanu Moitra. I think he likes soft music (going by his strong liking for song Chanda re in Ekalavya).

I completely agree about Bhansali.He is a musically knowledgeable guy, so much that it is rumoured that half of the music in his films was composed by him.I am sure IR wouldnt take all that.But mine is just a wish. because Bhansali is very particular about the music he wants.And IR too recently complained that directors coming to him ask for same kind of music instead of inspiring him to create something new.Bhansali has this "more orchestral" kind of preference.His films have rich orchestration and stuff and thats where IR also flourishes a lot.So it would be interesting to see them team up. Only issue is that IR needs to be little accomodative about suggestions. And i think IR is accomodative with people who know what they want and who know music (like Kamal Haasan).Bhansali knows music (he himself is composing music for his next film) or atleast has strong preferences and may be they can create fantastic work, if at all they team up.

app_engine
18th June 2010, 01:51 AM
digression

Just happened to read this piece from Jeyamohan :

http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=7279

Briefly, this explains as to how he is on "stand-by" mode now.

end-digression

Makes one appreciate how IR didn't have this luxury of "stand-by" for many years, despite being involved in a highly creative process.

And we are made to very rarely ask - like - where is the next one, why nothing new etc, except now - i.e. in 2010 after he is well-past the retirement age anywhere in the world:-)

Obviously, IR's brain had been working at phenomenal efficiency all these years !

eagle
18th June 2010, 02:21 AM
App_engine,

Wrong comparison perhaps. Writers used to have writer's block. ever heard of MD has musician's block? :lol:

Jus kidding...

Sureshs65
18th June 2010, 11:34 AM
app_eng,

Excellent observation. Listening to his 'aaro paadunna dhoori' you wonder how after so many and so many songs he is still able to come up with such magic!! Not only that, he has to think so much for the BGM as well. People may complain about his song quality / use of synth in late 90s onwards but no one can complain about his BGM, which has always been impeccable. (BTW, Jeyamohan had also not written for a year or more when he was involved in 'Naan Kadavul'. He then started in full speed.)

eagle: Though you have asked the question in a lighter vein, the answer to your question is, musicians dont have musicians block but just seem to fade away or lose their magic. This has happened to many of the genius and trendsetters of yesteryears. Once faded, they never come back. Unlike writers who can break their block and write something good later.

raajarasigan
18th June 2010, 04:36 PM
[tscii:bfb6f5c899]http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/57904.html

Ilaiyaraja impressed with Nysa
IndiaGlitz [Friday, June 18, 2010]

Ilaiyaraja, the Mozart of Madras :shock: - arrived quietly in Mumbai from Chennai on Tuesday with 30 of his musicians to record additional music for Bhavna Talwar's Pankaj Kapur-starrer ‘Happi’.

Four woodwind players had been specially flown in from Budapest to join Ilaiyaraja's orchestra which had congregated for this recording at the Nysa recording studios in Andheri.

The composer made it very clear to the film's producer and director that he wished for no distraction, so it took some convincing before he agreed to talk about his rare visit to Mumbai.

“The requirements were such that I had to be in Mumbai for this recording. The producers have made sure that the musicians I require are here. Otherwise why should I leave my studio in Chennai for the recording? Those who want me will come there.”

Ilaiyaraja has been recording the music for ‘Happi’ for the past one year. Vital portions of the music were composed and recorded in Budapest and the last bits were done in Mumbai with musicians from Chennai and Budapest.

Ilaiyaraja intends to slip out of Mumbai in a couple of days as quietly as he arrived.

Ilaiyaraja loved the ambience, mainly the facilities at Nysa Recording studio and has conveyed his wish to use this studio for his future ventures in Mumbai.[/tscii:bfb6f5c899]

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
18th June 2010, 09:25 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/57904.html

Ilaiyaraja impressed with Nysa
IndiaGlitz [Friday, June 18, 2010]

Ilaiyaraja, the Mozart of Madras :shock:
அதானே, Mozart of India ன்னு தானே சொல்லணும்
:D

kameshratnam
18th June 2010, 10:26 PM
as agilan lechman had stated earlier:he went to ir and asked him if he could produce his albums and raja agreed to it..remember agilan was not cash rich at all
Cant we as a group meet raaja and ask him to make X number of instrumental albums for us

Let us all put money and produce the album and we shall give a name to us
Your serious takes on this

anegan
18th June 2010, 10:40 PM
Kamesh,
I second you idea. Count me into it.
We should probably start a new thread to create the pool.

-anegan

MumbaiRamki
19th June 2010, 09:32 AM
App_engine,

Wrong comparison perhaps. Writers used to have writer's block. ever heard of MD has musician's block? :lol:

Jus kidding...

read yanni's life , u can see that ..movie composers have the choice of giving bad music to overcome musical block :)

raj_musing
19th June 2010, 07:12 PM
Recording scene from Happi? If yes really Happy!

http://hindi.filmychai.com/Ilaiyaraja-Creates-Happi-Magic/gossips/videoview/440/index.html

raagas
21st June 2010, 05:56 PM
More links about Happi:

Kamal Haasan Sings in Happi: http://www.mypopkorn.com/movies/kamal-haasan-sings-for-pankaj-kapoor-in-happi.html

Happi could be screened in Venice Film Festival: http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/happi-might-be-screened-at-venice-film-festival-bhavna-talwar_100382300.html

Plum
21st June 2010, 06:08 PM
raj_musing's video link says Pankaj Kapur has sung all 4 songs in the movie. I remember reading Kamal sang a song for Kapur. Which is true?

raagas
21st June 2010, 06:39 PM
plum,

All 4 songs? the director only said that Pankaj Kapur sang 4 songs. It doesnt anywhere hint that there are only 4 songs. Also, according to the story of the film - Pankaj Kapur is some artist.. singing in a Hotel or some place like that and his life changes as a new young singer comes to sing there (as a replacement for him i think). So i think there are more than 4 songs in that film.

raagas
12th July 2010, 03:50 PM
I am starving!!! Where is the next IR album? When? In 2009, IR has pampered me a lot. I am waiting restlessly for his next.

app_engine
12th July 2010, 08:27 PM
While listening to the first interlude of 'thOppOram thottil katti, Adudhadi chillu vaNdu' this morning, the mesmerizing lead guitar for a couple of seconds made me ponder like...

Why not IR do a homage to guitar, featuring it as the main instrument in a new non-filmi album? (Much like what he did to violin in HTNI and to flute in NBW).

It would be awesome as he is a real maestro with that instrument!

app_engine
12th July 2010, 08:37 PM
இந்த மாதிரி மார்க்கெட் இழந்தவர்கள் செய்யும் வேலையை ராசாவும் செய்வதை விட, ஏன் தன் இசைக்கருவித்திறமையை வெளிக்காட்டும் ஆல்பம் - குறைந்த செலவில் - செய்யக்கூடாது? (http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=579752&disdate=7/12/2010&advt=2)

jaiganes
12th July 2010, 08:45 PM
இந்த மாதிரி மார்க்கெட் இழந்தவர்கள் செய்யும் வேலையை ராசாவும் செய்வதை விட, ஏன் தன் இசைக்கருவித்திறமையை வெளிக்காட்டும் ஆல்பம் - குறைந்த செலவில் - செய்யக்கூடாது? (http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=579752&disdate=7/12/2010&advt=2)

I was shocked to see your post - thinking that Raaja has joined one of the Kazhagam parties (Velai, thiramai matrum market izhandhavargaLin tharpoadhaya saranaalayam avai dhaane?).
Nalla velayaa vayitril paal vaarkum news !!!

I am a big fan of Raaja's "Shirdi sai mahathyam" film album(Telugu) - so this one is a long overdue thamizh follow up to that one.

app_engine
13th July 2010, 08:51 PM
It seems there's a 'priyatama raave' Telugu film with Priyamani & IR's music about to be released in a week or so.

Why no info about the album / songs etc?

Devaraagam
14th July 2010, 01:30 AM
It seems there's a 'priyatama raave' Telugu film with Priyamani & IR's music about to be released in a week or so.

App, just saw the details of 'priyatama raave', it seems to be dubbing version of Madhu (Tamil)

raagas
14th July 2010, 03:41 PM

App, just saw the details of 'priyatama raave', it seems to be dubbing version of Madhu (Tamil)

Thanks for this update Madhu.I was wondering what it could be.It would be interesting to listen to "Indha Ulagil" in telugu.

jaiganes
14th July 2010, 05:35 PM
and nilavai sutri - my favourite from that dud of a movie.

thinking back ...
I used to listen to 'Dum irundha munnaala vaa' for the guitar sounds.

thumburu
16th July 2010, 01:26 PM
and "nilavai sutri" is also my most fav from "Madhu". It creates such a nice, breezy , "feel good" mood and I remember Jaiganes waxing eloquent about "ketkavillaiyaa" too.

jaiganes
16th July 2010, 08:01 PM
and "nilavai sutri" is also my most fav from "Madhu". It creates such a nice, breezy , "feel good" mood and I remember Jaiganes waxing eloquent about "ketkavillaiyaa" too.
Ketkavillaya is another gem in that garbage can of a movie. It is in the same vein as another IR duet Oli tharum from vaalmeeki.

Indha ulagil naan irundhaalum is a killer of a song for any budding singer. Just listening to the song makes you go like - "yeah thats a piece of cake" - When u try singing it in the same scale and in the same period as what shaalini is singing - then you go like 'Oops I dropped my breath here".
It reminds me of another Sadhana song from Konji pesalaam - "Unnai thedi thedi" another breath taker for singers.
How does he compose these songs - which are very simple to hear, yet difficult to sing - is a mystery...

Sureshs65
29th July 2010, 03:44 PM
Just read a retweeted tweet of Shreya Goshal. It reads:

"In d studio, singing for Raja sir, finished one song.. Waiting to go on to the next song till Sukhiji finishes his bit! Superb songs.."

Is Sukhiji Sukhwinder Singh? Don't know if it is for a Hindi movie or some other movie? Maybe someone who knows Shreya on twitter can ask her and clarify.

Sanjeevi
29th July 2010, 06:42 PM
Just read a retweeted tweet of Shreya Goshal. It reads:

"In d studio, singing for Raja sir, finished one song.. Waiting to go on to the next song till Sukhiji finishes his bit! Superb songs.."

Is Sukhiji Sukhwinder Singh? Don't know if it is for a Hindi movie or some other movie? Maybe someone who knows Shreya on twitter can ask her and clarify.

neenga than SG-kitta pathil kettu irukkenga. Neenga than sollanum :P

BTW she also tweeted that she sung a song from YSR probably for Adhi Bagavan (Ameer movie) and Yuvan tweet tells he was in mumbai yesterday. Thus IR is in mumbai now?

Dragun
4th August 2010, 08:55 PM
This is a song for the SRK film Ra-1.

rooky
4th August 2010, 10:44 PM
This news is everywhere and as per the article, sukhwinder answered specif questions on sharuk's movie and singing for raja.but, we never ever heard anything like this....

on searching the net, one thing that i found was that the original MDs had their dates clashing with another movie and there is nothing official about who actually scores for this movie.

mmm..let us see..

Fliflo
9th August 2010, 08:55 PM
Upcoming releases with IR's music

http://popcorn.oneindia.in/artist-upcoming-movies/1960/5/ilayaraja.html

crvenky
11th August 2010, 04:32 PM
IR's two new Kannada movies:

Sri Shaneshwara Swamy Kalyana - IN maestro MUSIC
Movie: Sri Shaneshwara Swamy Kalyana
Cast: Karibasavaiah, Rajeshwari, Jagadeesh
Director: R N Sudarshan (who acted in Michael Madana Kamarajan, Nayakan etc)
Music: Ilayaraja
Cinematography: Sundarnath Suvarna
Dialogue: Shivalinge Gowda
Choreography: Shailashree
Arts: Thota Dharani
Lyrics: C V Shivashankar, Kaviraj, V Manohar
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/johnalex217/ssske.jpg
Sangeetha Bharma New Kannada Movie .....
Naanu Neenu Preethi (2010, Kannada)
Cast: Prajwal Devaraj
Director: Srinivasa Raju
Genre: Action-Romance
Composer: Ilayaraja
Release Date: 01 Dec, 2010
http://movies.sulekha.com/naanu-neenu-preethi_kannada_movie_release-date
http://www.doctorflix.com/movie/naanu-neenu-preethi/10008979

(Courtesy: Alex of Orkut IR Group)

crvenky
11th August 2010, 04:35 PM
BTW, anybody knows what happened to Tyagayya (Telugu) dir. Singeetham?

Fliflo
11th August 2010, 07:24 PM
[tscii:e69579671d]IR for Gowtham Menon's movie :))

http://cinema.nakkheeran.in/Talkies.aspx?T=521

இளையராஜா இசையில் கௌதம் மேனன்

விளம்பரப் பந்தாக்கள் எதுவும் இல்லாமல், மக்களின் வாய்மொழி வாழ்த்துகளால் மட்டுமே மிகப்பெரிய வெற்றியைப் பெற்றப்படம் ‘வெண்ணிலா கபடிக்குழு’. தமிழில் மட்டுமில்லாமல் தெலுங்கிலும் இந்தப் படம் பெரிய அளவில் ஹிட்டானது. இதனால் இந்த ஒரே படத்தின் மூலம் வெற்றிப்பட இயக்குனர் என்ற அடையாளச்சிறப்பை பெற்றார் சுசீந்திரன்.

எதார்த்தமான கதையமைப்பில் தனது முதல் படம் தந்த இவர், தற்போது அதிரடி ஆக்ஷனாக தரவிருக்கும் படம் ‘நான் மகான் அல்ல’.

இந்தப் படம் அதிரடி படமானாலும் இதிலும் ஒரு அழுத்தமான கதையினை சுசீந்திரன் அமைத்துள்ளார். இதில் நடித்துள்ள கார்த்தி மற்றும் காஜல் அகர்வால் ஆகியோரின் நடிப்பு பேசப்படும். அந்த அளவுக்கு அவர்களின் கதாப்பாத்திரம் உருவாக்கப்பட்டுள்ளதாம். சுசீந்திரனின் ‘நான் மகான் அல்ல’ படம் சுதந்திர தினக் கொண்டாட்டமாக ஆகஸ்ட் 13ந் தேதி வெளியாகிறது.

இந்நிலையில், தனது அடுத்தப் படமான “அழகர்சாமியின் குதிரை” படத்தை தொடங்கிவிட்டார் சுசீந்திரன். வெண்ணிலா கபடிக்குழு கதாநாயகி சரண்யா மோகன் தான் இதிலும் நாயகி.

இந்தப் படத்தை கௌதம் மேனனின் ‘ஃபோட்டான் ஃபேக்டரி’ படநிறுவனம் தயாரிக்கிறது. இளையராஜா இசை அமைக்கிறார்.

‘அழகர்சாமியின் குதிரை’ படபூஜையினை முடித்துவிட்டு படப்பிடிப்புத் தளத்தில் தனது ஓட்டத்தைத் துவங்க ஆயத்தமாகிவிட்டது.

இந்தப் படத்தின் விளம்பரப் போஸ்டரைப் பார்க்கும்போதே படம் எந்த அளவிற்கு எதார்த்தமும், அழுத்தமும் கொண்டிருக்கும் என்பது தெளிவாகிறது.இப்போதே ஒருவித எதிர்பார்ப்பை இந்தப் படம் ஏற்படுத்துகிறது.

கௌதம் மேனன் தன்னை இளையராஜாவின் ரசிகன் என்று அடிக்கடி சொல்வதுண்டு. இருந்தாலும் இதுவரை அவரது படத்தில் இளையராஜா இசையமைப்பதற்கான சூழல் ஏற்படவில்லை. இப்போது கௌதம் மேனன் தயாரிக்கும் இந்தப் படத்தில் இளையராஜா இசையமைப்பதை அவர் பெருமையாக நினைக்கிறாராம்.

இளையராஜா சட்டென்று எல்லாப் படத்திற்கும் இசையமைக்க சம்மதிப்பதில்லை. படத்தின் கதையும், கதாபாத்திரங்களும் நன்றாக பொருந்தி இருக்கும் படமானால் மட்டுமே அவர் இசையமைப்பார்.

இது பற்றி ஒரு முறை அவரே, “ இசையமைப்பது என்பது வெறும் தொழில் மட்டுமல்ல. அது எனக்கு ஆத்மார்த்தமான உணர்வு. படத்தின் கதையமைப்புத் தன்மையும், கதாபாத்திரங்களின் உன்னதமும் எனக்கு பிடித்திருக்க வேண்டும். அப்படி இருந்தால் மட்டுமே இசையமைப்பேன்” என்று கூறியுள்ளார்.

இப்படி ஒரு கொள்கையை வகுத்துக் கொண்டுள்ள இளையராஜா இசையமைக்கிறார் என்றால், படம் எப்படிப்பட்டது என்பதை இப்போதே உணர முடிகிறது. சுசீந்திரன் - இளையாராஜா - கௌதம்மேனன் ஆகியோரின் கூட்டணியே படத்தின் சிறப்பை சிகரத்தின் விளக்காய் வெளிச்சப்படுத்துகிறது.

அழகர்சாமியின் குதிரை வெற்றிப்பட்டு கட்ட வருகிறது... [/tscii:e69579671d]

app_engine
11th August 2010, 08:18 PM
IR should stop signing up such practically-non-reach movies (padiththuRai, thANdavakkOnE, A.kuthirai, N lala etc) unless they are complemented with some biggie commercials -at least like the "pA"s - to keep his name talked about in media.

Otherwise, all his prior name / fame will be watered down by such non-starters!

At this point of time, I don't think he needs this new-movies platform anymore to propagate his musical skills. (Actually, he can talk to mukA and make all his prior works "nAttudamai" - making it easier for any new movie maker to use them freely thus ensuring the continuous popularity, remember 'siru ponmaNi'?...it is irritating to see him involved in police mirattals / copyright issues etc and a movie like kaLavANi using S-G song and the likes, shunning IR - except for a brief nilA kAyudhE sound, carefully played for shorter duration to evade copyright issues)

Or, it'll be much better if he invests his time and energy on one instrumental album per year! Marketing could be an issue, initially, but quality will eventually be recognized. More importantly, music will be richer / IR will leave a better legacy. (With all his children settled and himself nearing 70, ippO idhellAm seyyAma pinne eppO seyyaRadhAm?)

jaiganes
11th August 2010, 10:00 PM
IR's two new Kannada movies:

Sri Shaneshwara Swamy Kalyana - IN maestro MUSIC
Movie: Sri Shaneshwara Swamy Kalyana
Cast: Karibasavaiah, Rajeshwari, Jagadeesh
Director: R N Sudarshan (who acted in Michael Madana Kamarajan, Nayakan etc)
Music: Ilayaraja
Cinematography: Sundarnath Suvarna
Dialogue: Shivalinge Gowda
Choreography: Shailashree
Arts: Thota Dharani
Lyrics: C V Shivashankar, Kaviraj, V Manohar
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/johnalex217/ssske.jpg
Sangeetha Bharma New Kannada Movie .....
Naanu Neenu Preethi (2010, Kannada)
Cast: Prajwal Devaraj
Director: Srinivasa Raju
Genre: Action-Romance
Composer: Ilayaraja
Release Date: 01 Dec, 2010
http://movies.sulekha.com/naanu-neenu-preethi_kannada_movie_release-date
http://www.doctorflix.com/movie/naanu-neenu-preethi/10008979

(Courtesy: Alex of Orkut IR Group)

Sinna nit pick - RN sudarshan's elder brother acted in MMKR. RN Sudharshan acted as the main villain in Rajini's velaikaaran. RN Jayagopal (sudarshan's brother)was the elder reddy in Nayagan. He is also a very popular lyricist in kannada films and penned some memorable songs in pallavi anupallavi and other early day kannada hits by maestro. There could be some errors in my post too. someone needs to clarify. If it is RN Sudarshan, more than story and movie, there is a long standing friendship between him and IR which should result in some good songs.

raagas
12th August 2010, 12:09 PM
Gaayam-2 coming up in telugu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whj33GFSElA

raagas
12th August 2010, 12:13 PM
Or, it'll be much better if he invests his time and energy on one instrumental album per year! Marketing could be an issue, initially, but quality will eventually be recognized. More importantly, music will be richer / IR will leave a better legacy. (With all his children settled and himself nearing 70, ippO idhellAm seyyAma pinne eppO seyyaRadhAm?)

One instrumental album per year! wonderful idea! thats enough actually. And just 4-5 very good films with lot of songs (say atleast 5-6 songs per album). Thats enough!

But yes, he seriously needs to do some instrumental music, atleast now! I dont think marketing will be a problem.He already has agimusic by his side now. All they need to do is distribute the cds in India (full tamil nadu, Andhra pradesh, kerala, karnataka, Bombay, Kolkata, Pune and Delhi) - thats it.. these cities are enough. the fire will catch up later on, if the music in these prime cities gets noticed.

MumbaiRamki
13th August 2010, 06:14 AM
Gaayam-2 coming up in telugu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whj33GFSElA

gAAYAM IS TYPICAL rgv production stuff .. close ups , bloody violence ... ttrailer is fine and music is quite apt

NormalMan
13th August 2010, 07:23 PM
Saw the Gaayam-2 trailer - NO standout theme. My biggest complaint about IR these days. There is no signature theme that I was able to make out. Listen to these gangster flick themes,

The Departed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18CzffVkrw8
Kill Bill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHT3dpPve0o
Pulp Fiction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5yNcQEybdM&feature=related
Wanted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo1zGh88JoM

I need to hear something like the above. This movie had potential for all the above type's of score, from what it looks like. He get's along with the scene well, but nothing registers in you mind in the end.

jaiganes
13th August 2010, 09:29 PM

One instrumental album per year! wonderful idea! thats enough actually. And just 4-5 very good films with lot of songs (say atleast 5-6 songs per album). Thats enough!

But yes, he seriously needs to do some instrumental music, atleast now! I dont think marketing will be a problem.He already has agimusic by his side now. All they need to do is distribute the cds in India (full tamil nadu, Andhra pradesh, kerala, karnataka, Bombay, Kolkata, Pune and Delhi) - thats it.. these cities are enough. the fire will catch up later on, if the music in these prime cities gets noticed.

I share your wish, but I am skeptical - not because of Raja - because of ppls music taste these days. Frankly there is a huge case of "Kadai virithaen KoLVaarillai" (Vallalaar said - he has opened a shop - but there are no takers) for Raaja style of mood music. It is all about beats and steps and car horns these days.

Hulkster
14th August 2010, 04:31 PM
I need to hear something like the above. This movie had potential for all the above type's of score, from what it looks like. He get's along with the scene well, but nothing registers in you mind in the end.

Dunt rush to conclusions. Trailer music is usually not composed by the composer. And even if it is, Thalaivar only creates centralized theme music if the story focusses solely on a recurring theme or the emotions in the scene are complicated. Otherwise the music usually is strictly meant to only connect the film to the user, which explains why it didnt register in your mind.

rajkumarc
14th August 2010, 11:24 PM
Isn't Music Messiah the last instrumental album from IR? What was the reach of that and was it discusses extensively here in the hub? I have rarely seen hubbers mention about that album recently.

raagas
16th August 2010, 02:23 PM
Isn't Music Messiah the last instrumental album from IR? What was the reach of that and was it discusses extensively here in the hub? I have rarely seen hubbers mention about that album recently.

Music Messiah was created out of his BGMs from Guru and the music of that album is not without the film context. Give a totally new listener two albums - How to Name it and "Music Messiah". I am 100% sure he/she will lean more towards How to Name it!
I really wish he does more albums like Thiruvasakam or How to Name it. Honestly speaking, I am bored of his devotional albums too. They come, some of the songs sound good and they go. thats all. They are create a cult following like a Nothing But Wind. I mean, his instrumental albums have mind boggling ideas and concepts. His devotional albums are just that - devotional albums, with emphasis on lyrics and bhakti and music only supplementing the proceedings. Whereas, his instrumental albums turned out to be textbooks. And i am yearning for such textbooks!

raagas
16th August 2010, 02:31 PM

I share your wish, but I am skeptical - not because of Raja - because of ppls music taste these days. Frankly there is a huge case of "Kadai virithaen KoLVaarillai" (Vallalaar said - he has opened a shop - but there are no takers) for Raaja style of mood music. It is all about beats and steps and car horns these days.

Jaiganes,

The situation isnt as bad as we are making it to be. every era had its own set of "steps and beats" phenomena.And i am not that cynical now. I feel things have improved now.Come to think of it, Ilaiyaraaja comes up with two stunning instrumental albums when there was hardly any market for non-film music. How did those albums reach a cult status? And today, there is lot of market for non-film music. Walk into any good music store and we have a "Fusion Music", "World Music" sections there.something that was never visible in 80s and 90s.Even today, there are many people who have taste for good instrumental music, which is why you see so many young budding artists trying to come up with many albums in the genres of fusion music etc. I am not talking about their quality, but I am talking about potential market as such. And lets not reduce Ilaiyaraaja to just another composer. Even today, if he composes an instrumental album, I am sure lot.. a REAL LOT of people would actually sit up and listen to him. When he gave a live concert in Chennai, he performed the track 3 in 1. First shreya ghoshal sings the tune and then there is a pause. When the orchestra starts playing it... watch the way people cheer/roar. Thats ilaiyaraaja's reach, even today.why a huge orchestra, even if Ilaiyaraaja alone sits there and plays Piano for45mins and releases it as an album, I am sure there will be many takers.

kameshratnam
17th August 2010, 09:53 PM
IR is ready with new devotional album. He has composed music for an album on Sri Shirdi Sai Baba.

There are more 8 songs in the album and one song by Bombay jayasri is for 40 minutes

Source; Ananda vikatan last friday

Suprised no one had a look at it or did i miss the news quoted by someone?

kameshratnam
18th August 2010, 05:39 PM
மீண்டும் அமிதாப் - ஸ்ரீதேவி!
இந்தியில் மீண்டும் ஜோடியாக நடிக்கின்றனர் அமிதாப் பச்சனும் ஸ்ரீதேவியும்.

பாலிவுட்டில் இருவருமே ஒரு காலத்தில் கொடி கட்டிப் பறந்த ஜோடி. இன்குலாப், ஆக்ரி ராஸ்தா என வெற்றிப் படங்களில் நடித்தனர். கடைசியாக குதா கவா படத்தில் இருவரும் ஜோடி சேர்ந்தனர். மிகப் பெரிய வெற்றிப் படமாக அமைந்தது குதா கவா.

அதன் பிறகு போனி கபூரை திருமணம் [^] செய்து கொண்டு ஸ்ரீதேவி திரையுலகிலிருந்து ஒதுங்கிவிட்டார். இடையில் ஒரு டிவி [^] சீரியலில் நடித்தார். ஆனால் மீண்டும் இந்திப் படங்களில் நடிக்காமல் இருந்தார்.

இந்த நிலையில், மீண்டும் அமிதாப்பையும் ஸ்ரீதேவியையும் ஜோடி சேர்த்துள்ளார் சீனி கும், பா படங்களை இயக்கிய பால்கி.

இந்தப் புதிய படத்துக்கு பிக் பி என பெயரிடப்பட்டுள்ளது (பாலிவுட்டில் அமிதாப்பை பிக் பி என்றுதான் மரியாதையாக அழைக்கிறார்கள்).

இந்தப் படத்துக்கும் இளையராஜாதான் இசையமைக்கிறார்!

jaiganes
18th August 2010, 05:42 PM
IR is ready with new devotional album. He has composed music for an album on Sri Shirdi Sai Baba.

There are more 8 songs in the album and one song by Bombay jayasri is for 40 minutes

Source; Ananda vikatan last friday

Suprised no one had a look at it or did i miss the news quoted by someone?
anytamil did not have it. is it avaioable for listening online?
i searchd itunes and that didnt have it.
is it available only for shirdi sai mandalis to play?

MelHarmony
19th August 2010, 04:55 AM
Great news!!

Innumoru Cheeni Kum'a? Anyway it is ok for me

Hope the story line is Raaja'ish for soulful music! I pray it doesnt become "old wine-new..."....though paa was really some classy stuff!

மீண்டும் அமிதாப் - ஸ்ரீதேவி!
இந்தியில் மீண்டும் ஜோடியாக நடிக்கின்றனர் அமிதாப் பச்சனும் ஸ்ரீதேவியும்.

பாலிவுட்டில் இருவருமே ஒரு காலத்தில் கொடி கட்டிப் பறந்த ஜோடி. இன்குலாப், ஆக்ரி ராஸ்தா என வெற்றிப் படங்களில் நடித்தனர். கடைசியாக குதா கவா படத்தில் இருவரும் ஜோடி சேர்ந்தனர். மிகப் பெரிய வெற்றிப் படமாக அமைந்தது குதா கவா.

அதன் பிறகு போனி கபூரை திருமணம் [^] செய்து கொண்டு ஸ்ரீதேவி திரையுலகிலிருந்து ஒதுங்கிவிட்டார். இடையில் ஒரு டிவி [^] சீரியலில் நடித்தார். ஆனால் மீண்டும் இந்திப் படங்களில் நடிக்காமல் இருந்தார்.

இந்த நிலையில், மீண்டும் அமிதாப்பையும் ஸ்ரீதேவியையும் ஜோடி சேர்த்துள்ளார் சீனி கும், பா படங்களை இயக்கிய பால்கி.

இந்தப் புதிய படத்துக்கு பிக் பி என பெயரிடப்பட்டுள்ளது (பாலிவுட்டில் அமிதாப்பை பிக் பி என்றுதான் மரியாதையாக அழைக்கிறார்கள்).

இந்தப் படத்துக்கும் இளையராஜாதான் இசையமைக்கிறார்!

Fliflo
19th August 2010, 06:31 PM
Same news here

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2010/08/sri-devi-paired-amitabh.html

raagas
19th August 2010, 07:42 PM
I am not worried about storyline, as long as Balki helms the project. Balki has become an important film-maker in the Hindi Film Industry and he will ensure that the music is given the reach it deserves. i only wish he accomodates more number of songs in the album. Cheeni Kum essentially had only 3 compositions, and Paa had only 4 compositions (leaving variations). I hope he comes up with 6-8 songs so that there is enough scope for IR to display his skill and variety.

Sureshs65
20th August 2010, 04:46 PM
News. News. News. News. But where are the songs? Where is 'Happi', where is 'Thandavakone', where is 'SRK'? Will someone out there release one of these albums please. I am ok even with a devotional album. Where is the "Saibaba' album? Feel like shouting out loudly, 'Is anyone out there listening to us'? :)

Sureshs65
23rd August 2010, 01:07 PM
Official site of Gayam-2, the Telugu movie:

http://www.gaayam2movie.com/

Sureshs65
23rd August 2010, 01:12 PM
Gayam-2 A brief theme bit uploaded by ardent Raja fan, Dilip

http://www.mediafire.com/?0c99wla7t0l65pv.

raagas
23rd August 2010, 02:39 PM
I heard that Gaayam-2 audio releasing on 26th Aug.I hope it is true.

rajasaranam
23rd August 2010, 07:37 PM
Q

Saw the Gaayam-2 trailer - NO standout theme. My biggest complaint about IR these days. There is no signature theme that I was able to make out. Listen to these gangster flick themes,

The Departed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18CzffVkrw8
Kill Bill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHT3dpPve0o
Pulp Fiction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5yNcQEybdM&feature=related
Wanted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo1zGh88JoM

&A

Marana Adi :D

Sureshs65
23rd August 2010, 09:41 PM
Marana Adi :D

Marana Adi indeed. What power. That too in less than a min!!!

krish244
24th August 2010, 12:04 AM

Percussion effects are Adhiradi!

thanks,

Krishnan

MelHarmony
24th August 2010, 04:50 AM
I saw somebody saying that the trailer music these days are not done by MDs sometimes. Not in case of IR. How can we expect an IR movie with somebody else's music.

his music has a signature and we can see that and there is no doubt this was composed by maestro !!

Percussion effects are Adhiradi!

thanks,

Krishnan

dochu
27th August 2010, 03:46 AM
Unbelievable!!!what a creativity. Scenes that came with the music could have more vigor. Hope director does a good job and not waste IR's music.

rajaalltheway
27th August 2010, 08:52 PM
Gaayam 2 storyline almost identical to David Cronenbergs' 'A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE'..it had a few haunting pieces composed by Howard Shore.

njv
28th August 2010, 09:08 AM
History of violence - resembles baasha :)

teja
28th August 2010, 11:40 AM
Gayam 2 Audio launch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawRpMV4EeA#t=5m18s

'Andala lokam' rocks! A 30 second sample was good enough to get hooked to the song. Instant winner (i.e, I didn't have to listen to it a dozen times to start liking it :))

Sureshs65
28th August 2010, 03:23 PM
Raja's jazz experiments seem to continue. 'Endukkamma Prema' has some nice piano runs. Eagerly waiting for the CD. Not yet arrived in Bangalore. Hope they get it soon.

jaiganes
29th August 2010, 04:48 AM
History of violence - resembles baasha :)which was taken from Hum ????!!!! :-)

Hulkster
29th August 2010, 07:35 AM
Songs at a glance (http://videos.desishock.net/index.php?module=item&action=show_item_full&itemurl=aHR0cDovL3d3dy55b3V0dWJlLmNvbS93YXRjaD92PW REVTE2Z3h2T3c4JmZlYXR1cmU9eW91dHViZV9nZGF0YQ==)

I am interested in the two revolutionary songs. Its always interesting to hear thalaivar's orchestration in those songs. :D

Sureshs65
29th August 2010, 10:30 AM
Hulk,

Thanks for the link. Sounds promising. Now to get my hands on the CD :)

AravindMano
29th August 2010, 02:10 PM
A link for listening Gaayam 2 - http://muzigle.com/#album/gaayam_2

raagas
29th August 2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks a ton Aravind... listening now.

Hulkster
29th August 2010, 06:32 PM
Million thanks :D. If i say again people will say i always say the same thing, but who cares. This is magamaayi blockbusting album. :notworthy:

MumbaiRamki
29th August 2010, 09:20 PM
Gaayam - 2 : thetwo melody songs featuring driram are quite superb , producing the expected Paa styled melodies ..

Rama Rajyam & its twin yeluthundru evoked quite abit of ennui ,something idhu thaai pirantha dhesam from siraichalai managed to avoid ...

Kalagne , is nice melody , but why raaja sir has to sing , even if apt , it evokes the early 90s memoeries ...

Manasenka is just ok , i was reminded of the songs kaaka kaa ka from julie ganapathy, possibly due to the fact it was sung by the same singer ...

Sureshs65
29th August 2010, 09:32 PM
Better quality Gayam-2 listening links (via a friend in twitter)

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=A0002643

Sureshs65
29th August 2010, 09:37 PM
Loving the album. I know people are not happy with Raja singing 'kalagane' but I think it is quite apt and that is a lovely melody. Just the first listen. In a different place with a slow connection, bad speakers and no headphones. Will post my views later this week.

Devaraagam
30th August 2010, 08:32 PM
Hi,

Any online shops to buy Gaayam 2 Cd? Hope it will not be available in chennai..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
30th August 2010, 08:53 PM
Gaayam - Saami kodutha telugu varam :D

this man never stops mesmerizing

raajarasigan
30th August 2010, 10:33 PM
Gaayam - 2 : thetwo melody songs featuring driram are quite superb , producing the expected Paa styled melodies .. :yes: but andala logam's prelude slightly reminds Paa's theme music.. but no other complains,... refreshing tune.. :D

another one is also good.... orchestration is slightly fast.. esp rythm section....

Sanjeevi
30th August 2010, 10:40 PM
Gaayam - 2 : thetwo melody songs featuring driram are quite superb , producing the expected Paa styled melodies .. :yes: but andala logam's prelude slightly reminds Paa's theme music.. but no other complains,... refreshing tune.. :D

another one is also good.... orchestration is slightly fast.. esp rythm section....

Yeat that two songs are superb but my compliant is Sriram :evil:

jaiganes
1st September 2010, 01:53 PM
gaayam 2 has raaja doing some weird magic in tunes. Orch is largely reminiscent of paa. but the tunes are very special
Andaala lokam is my pick in a limited listening.
Ilaiyaraaja sung telugu songs are rare ones and his song in this movie is very special - somewhat similar in template to the Shiva 2006 song. IT works big time.

sureshmehcnit
3rd September 2010, 10:48 AM
Random thoughts on "Eluthundru" from Gaayam-2

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2010/09/eluthundru-from-gaayam-2.html

Sureshs65
3rd September 2010, 07:33 PM
Still waiting for the CD of Gayam 2 to be available in Bangalore. As of now, my review of the album after listening to it in the raaga site.

1. Lets start with the most favoured song by everyone.
Endhukamma Prema Prema'. The song starts with a guitar like sound and the keyboard piano playing. The pallavi is accompanied by the piano. No rhythm till the pallavi is played once completely. A very leisurely pallavi. The interlude starts with a nice keyboard run followed by the synthesizer run. The rhythm picks up and flows into the charanam. The charanam literally picks up speed and as usual for Raja's charanam, it twists and turns and keeps building up the melody until it joins the pallavi. The second interlude too is on the keyboard (sounding like the piano). The interlude is short. Overall a superb melody. Based on Mohanam scale. I wonder how this man can still milk something new out of this scale!!!

2. Lets now take up the other song which has also caught everyone's fancy. This song starts with the violins sounding very similar to the 'kaatu vazhi' tune / Paa theme. Then the song starts 'andhala lokam' sings Sriram Parthasarathy to be later joined by the new singer, Saraswathi. The first interlude in keeping with the overall orchestration has the keyboard, synth and synth violins playing together wonderfully. A small theme from the interlude is continued in between the lines of the charanam. The charanam as usual builds up the melody beautifully and very charmingly merges with the pallavi. The second interlude starts with the keyboard and the violins and later what sounds like synth flute. The theme movement played throughout the song is top class and it binds the whole song together. The basic aim of this song is to evoke a sense of an ideal life and it does it with elan. The lokam (world) becomes 'andala lokam' (beautiful world) when you listen to this song.

3. Third, we take up a song which many people seem to have liked the tune but not Raja singing it !!! Something we hear often. The prelude sets the tone for the whole song. A sort of tragic tone. The tune is lovely and to me Raja's singing is good but it could have gone to someone like Vijay Jesudas, who did a nice job of such a song in 'Mallepoovu'. I love the anu pallavi in the song (or tundu pallavi as it is sometimes called.) There is some justification in the criticism against Raja singing the song as you can hear him strain sometimes. The emotion is perfect though. Overall, a top class tune. Wish someone like Veturi was alive to write lyrics for this song. The whole orchestration is in keeping with the mood of the song.

4. While the three songs above have sort of been accepted by most people as being class, this song did not evoke such reactions. I would say the reactions have been mainly neutral. 'masakenuka mandu undhi' sung by Anita is obviously an item song. It reminds me of most of the modern Tamil songs, especially those tuned by Yuvan. The structure is very similar I would say in the pallavi. As usual the charanam is typical Raja, building it beautifully. Probably one of the more contemporary 'item number' song by Raja. The accordion playing in the second interlude is interesting.

5 & 6. 'Eluthundru' and 'Ramarajyam'. Both the songs (which are different words for the same tune) have been dismissed by most people as Ramki has stated here, 'inducing ennui' or as typical filmi revolutionary songs. To be very honest I have been very impressed by both these songs. Let me try and explain why. If you take the case of 'Eluthundru', I agree with people that it sounds like a typical filmi revolutionary song but what impressed me was the tools used by Raja to achieve this!!! Raja starts the song with very typical orchestration. A typical drum beat in the background, a chorus to support the main voice and the main sounding very harsh and strong. The lyrics very in your face. Then comes the transformation. After the pallavi is done for the first round, the rhythm pattern completely changes without us realizing. The regular drum pattern is replaced by a very irregular beat in the background. It is almost as if a jazz drummer has now entered the mix and is playing according to his whim. The single drum beat gives the required power in the interlude as does the chorus. The charanam is very atypical because the beat is a free flowing one and not the powerful one. In between the tune almost turns tragic and finishes with a powerful twist. The second interlude is on the synth with the rhythm reminding us of some places of 'adi ushas' from 'Pazhassi Raja'. What impressed me about this song were: a very atypical beat for such a revolutionary song, eschewing most of the devices for such a song: not much of chorus, no saxophone, no trumpets, no thundering rhythmic explosion like 'Om Sivoham' or 'Aalamadangana' or no huge string segments. In short, Raja achieves an 'old revolutionary effect' using the new devices. In my opinion, this is superb experimentation. Making the synth and the drum pad sound as if they were always made for the revolutionary songs!!! I don't know how many will agree with me but that is how I feel.

It is clear that Raja is now fully into the jazz / synth mode and we are now more used to this style. Everyone has been calling this the 'Paa' style but I could hear the same style in 'Kadhal Kavidhai' as well. It is just that we have taken a lot more time to come to grips with that style. At the same time Raja has been tweaking his style so that it now appeals a lot to us. Old timers may have the same issues. Smaller interludes, lack of real instruments, very little violin play and no flute whatsoever. But answer is, how that matter when he can still deliver 'anadala lokam' and 'endukkamma prema'.

Final verdict. Definitely an album worth buying. You cannot go wrong with those two songs, even if others don't affect you much.

raagas
3rd September 2010, 07:44 PM
Nice review! Endukamma Prema and Andaala Lokam form the cream and infact, even the song that IR sang too,though i agree that this song should have gone to someone like Vijay Yesudas. Or why not even Yesudas.

Overall, a nice album that can keep me going for few days(and ofcourse years too). But still, that doesnt stop me from waiting for more: What happened to Thyagayya, SRK, etc?

Sureshs65
3rd September 2010, 07:56 PM
I said Vijay Yesudas because he did a good job of similar song in 'Mallepoovu'. Added to it is the fact that the Yesudas of today is no where close to the Yesudas at his prime. This is a typical Yesudas song and he should have sung it at his prime.

raj_musing
3rd September 2010, 08:51 PM
Good Review Suresh and the time spent for this.

jaiganes
3rd September 2010, 10:34 PM
Nice review! Endukamma Prema and Andaala Lokam form the cream and infact, even the song that IR sang too,though i agree that this song should have gone to someone like Vijay Yesudas. Or why not even Yesudas.

Overall, a nice album that can keep me going for few days(and ofcourse years too). But still, that doesnt stop me from waiting for more: What happened to Thyagayya, SRK, etc?

when u say that , I want to know if it is due to an mistakes in pronunciation or lack of feel?
I found Raaja song absolutely impossible to skip. It is very arresting.
However I would like to know why a Vijay yesudas might have done better justice to this song.

MumbaiRamki
3rd September 2010, 11:24 PM
Will gayam be a hit ?
http://movies.rediff.com/report/2010/sep/03/south-review-telugu-gaayam-2.htm

sivasub
4th September 2010, 01:20 AM
http://www.teluguone.com/cms/cinema/reviewContent.jsp?reviewId=REV000290

With Ilyaraja scored music, all the songs in the movie are melodious and pleasant to the ears. Re-recording too is good and elevates the mood.

sivasub
4th September 2010, 01:28 AM
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/telugu/reviews/2010/gayam-2-movie-review-030910.html

Music by Illarayaraja needs a special mention. Though the background score is excellent, the tunes provided for the songs could have be done better if the maestro would have concentrated a little more.

sivasub
4th September 2010, 01:29 AM
http://www.supergoodmovies.com/8250/tollywood/Gaayam-2-Review-Movie-Review-Details

Maestro Ilayaraja has scored the music, but he has past his prime and seems to have lost touch. The lyrics are not insightful and information like in Gaayam, where Sirinivennala Seetharama Sastry chipped in.

Devaraagam
4th September 2010, 02:12 AM
Suresh,

thanks for the review..frankly speaking..i am planning to hear it from online after read your review.

revert back to you with my likes and dislikes.

Sureshs65
4th September 2010, 02:27 PM
when u say that , I want to know if it is due to an mistakes in pronunciation or lack of feel?
However I would like to know why a Vijay yesudas might have done better justice to this song.

Jai,

I will let raagas answer you in detail :) Here is my take on the song. Raja's singing is inch perfect wrt the emotion the song wants to convey. I don't hear any problem with the pronunciation as well. I do hear a bit of strain in his voice during the charanams.

My saying that Vijay Jesudas would have been a good fit was for different reason. (I don't think he would have conveyed the emotion with the same intensity that Raja did. ) Raja has sung many such songs (a very similar type of song appears in the movie 'Sunny'). People nowadays just seem to skip these songs saying, 'oh, one more sad song sung by Raja'. Very unfair I know but that seems to be the reality. My feeling was that if Vijay Jesudas had sung it would probably have a wider reach. People may listen to it because it is not Raja!!! I chose Vijay Jesudas because he did a very nice job of 'chirugali chirugali' (Mallepoovu) , which also falls in the same genre.

Sureshs65
4th September 2010, 02:33 PM
'Gayam -2' has been in loop for quite some time now. Enjoying all the songs. A close friend had called from Kerala to say that he heard the songs, that they were melodious and Raja is now fully into the 'Paa' sound and overall sounding very youthful!!! Can't help but agree with him.

My feel is that this album will reach more Raja fans than his earlier Telugu album, 'Om Shanthi'. As far as it reach with the general audience, I have no clue nor can I make a prediction. There have been many songs of various music directors, which I thought were pretty unimaginative and dumb but they went on to become big hits. So I will not take the risk of predicting how these songs will be received by the general public.

Sureshs65
4th September 2010, 02:46 PM
Loving 'andala lokam' a lot. I find this song a very different construction from Raja. It seems to be build around a small 'theme'. The prelude ends with this 'theme'. After the first two lines of pallavi are sung, the tune again becomes this theme. They way the violin (maybe synth violin) follows the pallavi gives goosebumps. The first interlude ends with a different 'theme' which follows the song in the charanam. The charanam itself ends with the main theme tune again!!! The second interlude ends with a variation of the pallavi played!!! Very intelligently constructed tune, where the main theme keeps appearing regularly.

It is now clear that this sound is going to be Raja's sound for the time being. This is quite different from the synth of the late 90s. Here the synth effect is not much. It doesn't show up much in this album. I am pretty happy with this sound and I feel Raja is now in a phase where he is going to use this sound for some more time. I am sure we will get lot more great songs in the future.

A reco of the songs where you can get a feel of the new Raja sound:

- Most of the songs of 'Paa'
- 'Unnai Patri Sonnal' - Madhiya Chennai
- 'Pudu Pournami Nilavu' - Kannukulle
- 'Edaya Bagilu' - Suryakanthi
- 'Chinna Polike Ledhu' - Om Shanthi
- 'Aaro padunnu doorie' - Katha Tudarunnu
- 'oli tharum sooriyanum' - Valmiki
- 'nilavu varum neram' - Jaganmohini

If you listen to these songs carefully, you can understand why I don't crib about the 70s or 80s Raja. This Raja is a new Raja and I am loving him.

dochu
5th September 2010, 12:29 AM
I saw "saravana poikaiyil' a devotional album under IR and Shobana's name in another website. Although most of songs are remake of old original tunes, there were couple new.

Is this album done by IR?

raagas
6th September 2010, 09:48 AM

Jai,

I will let raagas answer you in detail :) Here is my take on the song. Raja's singing is inch perfect wrt the emotion the song wants to convey. I don't hear any problem with the pronunciation as well. I do hear a bit of strain in his voice during the charanams.

My saying that Vijay Jesudas would have been a good fit was for different reason. (I don't think he would have conveyed the emotion with the same intensity that Raja did. ) Raja has sung many such songs (a very similar type of song appears in the movie 'Sunny'). People nowadays just seem to skip these songs saying, 'oh, one more sad song sung by Raja'. Very unfair I know but that seems to be the reality. My feeling was that if Vijay Jesudas had sung it would probably have a wider reach. People may listen to it because it is not Raja!!! I chose Vijay Jesudas because he did a very nice job of 'chirugali chirugali' (Mallepoovu) , which also falls in the same genre.

I dont think there is anything wrong in the emotional aspect of the singing.But it is apparent that his is putting in lot of effort and the output isnt smooth. We all have 'trained ears' for ilaiyaraaja's music and can instantly look for certain aspects to like a song. i like this composition a lot.I dont know the situation in the film and all. But if the situation or the song demanded a non-young voice, which prompted him to sing it, then i feel even Yesudas could have sung it better(he can sing it without showing the strain).Again ilaiyaraaja sings the Anu-pallavi lines perfectly. but the strain in Pallavi lines and charanam lines is very apparent. And i just didnt want to believe in my own opinion. I played the song to a friend and my wife too (a fresh pair of ears helps) and they too felt that there is something wrong.My wife tells me that the grip on sruthi is not perfect and that there is slight slippage,which happens due to age(particularly when the scale is lower). Probably thats the discomfort i can sense(which i couldnt exactly pinpoint).I couldnt feel this in "Oil Tharum"(Valmiki) but could again sense it in another similar song that he sang in Hindi for Shiva-2006. However, i feel this "Kalagane" is a better composition than that Shiva-2006 song.

app_engine
6th September 2010, 10:06 AM
Visiting a relative and he played 'khajurAhO kanavilE' from ONOK and was telling me and another relative in the car that this is an unknown IR gem - came few years before - not noticed - but much superior to most songs in the recent times. (He is not a regular IR-admirer and doesn't know that I'm one. I was silently enjoying his marketing of Raja music to me and the other relative, never revealing that I've heard this song a lot of times before :-) )

When we reached home, the third one, who claims to listen to TFM only very rarely - can't even speak fluent Thamizh due to living outside TN most of his life, got hooked to this number and went on playing repeatedly in the big Bose system at home.

Everyone seemed to be enjoying the song so much and talking highly about this to me who pretended to not know much about this movie or song. It was fun to ask questions like - is the singer HH etc :-)

I was stunned with the bass score in this song - the melodic bass, so typical of IR but seriously lacking in most current TFM which relies on only 'thALakkozhuppu' to thrive!

Sureshs65
6th September 2010, 12:44 PM
From a tune point of view, 'Kalagane' is lovely and I like the way the rhythm goes after the first two lines of the pallavi, 'naalo..'. This song is in similar style to the one Raja tuned for the Telugu movie 'Sunny'. Similar smooth flowing melody for a tragic situation. Raja seems to give such numbers for Telugu movies. 'Kalagane', the Sunny song and 'Chirugali'. All of them very good compositions.

Sureshs65
6th September 2010, 12:46 PM
app,

I am sure they would not have expected you to have such an id in tfmpage :)If they visit TFMpage that is :D

ONOK had some nice songs. Heard the movie was good only during the interval, when nothing was screened. Difficult to believe it was a Fazil movie.

AravindMano
6th September 2010, 01:35 PM
ONOK had some nice songs. Heard the movie was good only during the interval, when nothing was screened. Difficult to believe it was a Fazil movie.

:lol:

Trust me, it's a terrible film, terrible!

Every time i listen to Raja-Vaali discussion about 'Kaatril varum geetham' in the audio and then see the picturization, I tend to think Raja has more tolerance than any other person in TFM :D

Fazil has moved on to other composers. I hear his latest film is by Jayachandran.

rajasaranam
6th September 2010, 01:58 PM
Fazil has moved on to other composers. I hear his latest film is by Jayachandran.

Fazil has always worked with various composers in Mallu films while for Tamil films he stuck with Raaja TMK.

AravindMano
6th September 2010, 02:48 PM

Fazil has always worked with various composers in Mallu films while for Tamil films he stuck with Raaja TMK.

Oh fine! :)

Sanjeevi
6th September 2010, 03:12 PM

even Kannukkul Nilavu was not good

tvsankar
6th September 2010, 04:49 PM
Sanjeevi,
Kannukul Nilavu not good - padama.. paata..

Padam vandha podhu enakum pidikavilai.

last month , tv la parthen.

Nejama nalla padam. Beautiful BGMS......

Nalla padam. Nalla BGMS... Nalla Paatukal............

IPo mudinja indha padam parunga......

raj_musing
6th September 2010, 07:06 PM

even Kannukkul Nilavu was not good

Fazil seems to have lost his touch and never given any hits in the last 10-12 years..In Tamil the last hit should be "Kathulukku Maryadei"?? In Mal it was a flop parade for the past 14 years! Aniyathi pravu(mal version of KM) was the last genuine hit.
Music wise he tries with many composers in malayalam,with Ausepachan being his pet mostly....

raajarasigan
6th September 2010, 09:58 PM

Trust me, it's a terrible film, terrible!

Every time i listen to Raja-Vaali discussion about 'Kaatril varum geetham' in the audio and then see the picturization, I tend to think Raja has more tolerance than any other person in TFM :D

Fazil has moved on to other composers. I hear his latest film is by Jayachandran.the picturization of Kajraho :banghead: :banghead: Fazil could NOT do a worse picturization than this..

prashanth12
6th September 2010, 10:05 PM

Apart from Vaali himself that is...(judging by the same audio).....

jaiganes
6th September 2010, 11:11 PM
@prashanth - u've got a nice blog going there...
Good work!! and enjoying watching movies!!!

AravindMano
7th September 2010, 12:16 PM

Hmmm :D

Nice profile pic! :thumbsup:

fan_ir
7th September 2010, 12:31 PM
Speaking of ONOK, I remember a remix version of "Katril Varum" was played in the radio channels at that time. A pleasant one!

Wonder if it possible get hold of this? Anyone?

raagas
7th September 2010, 03:34 PM
This article on Singeetham Srinivas Rao says he is directing a film on the early Jesus Christ: http://movies.rediff.com/slide-show/2010/sep/07/slide-show-1-south-interview-with-singeetham-srinivasa-rao.htm

No mention about his film 'Thyagayya'! looks like it is shelved :-(

Sureshs65
7th September 2010, 03:53 PM
raagas,

I was not too keen on Tyagayya. I doubt if Raja would have had much scope. Unlike say, 'Bharathu', where only lyrics were available, in case of Tyagaraja, he has to only orchestrate what is already tuned. Maybe he would got in one or two new tunes, but that would have been all. What I am waiting for are movies like 'Mayilu', 'SRK', 'Padithurai' and 'Thandavakone'. Let us see when these release.

Plum
7th September 2010, 05:16 PM

Hmmm :D

Nice profile pic! :thumbsup:Yup, nice profile pic!
(reNdu pEru solli irukkOm konja nAL mAthAma irunga)

raagas
7th September 2010, 05:24 PM
raagas,

I was not too keen on Tyagayya. I doubt if Raja would have had much scope. Unlike say, 'Bharathu', where only lyrics were available, in case of Tyagaraja, he has to only orchestrate what is already tuned. Maybe he would got in one or two new tunes, but that would have been all. What I am waiting for are movies like 'Mayilu', 'SRK', 'Padithurai' and 'Thandavakone'. Let us see when these release.

I too didnt have much expectations from Thyagayya, from the 'tunes' perspective. But I was curious from the 'arrangements' perspective. afterall, I was happy that the task lied in able hands and i thought it would be interesting to see what "IR quotient" would he bring to the table.

I too am waiting for the movies you have cited.

app_engine
7th September 2010, 07:48 PM
oh-Oh...I guess the ONOK post was meant for the 'last song' thread but I misplaced it in this thread :-(

thookkakkalakkaththil seydha kuzhappam...

Good discussion on Fazil, anyways...

I think he hasn't lost it when it comes to getting good songs from IR :-)

Punnaimaran
8th September 2010, 11:18 AM
The theme of Andala Lokam reminds me of an old English number "Papa he loves mama" by Joan Regan/Donald Peers. The main theme feels similar to the first line "Listen well while I tell..". Do anyone see any similarity or is it just my imagination???

app_engine
8th September 2010, 09:22 PM
[tscii:8d48987ed3]Suseendran raises some expectations for ASK (http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tabloids/%E2%80%98karthi-belongs-different-league%E2%80%99-882)

Why did you opt for Ilayaraja for your next Azhagar Samiyin Kudhirai ? “It’s again a script that demands any artiste or technician. ASK needed a technician like Maestro Ilayaraja where the music has to be alluring. You go with the right script, Ilayaraja sir will get inspired and create a magic with it”, he reveals.

[/tscii:8d48987ed3]

Sanjeevi
8th September 2010, 10:33 PM
hmm intha padamavathu veli vanthu nalla hit agattum

prashanth12
10th September 2010, 01:29 AM
Yup, nice profile pic!
(reNdu pEru solli irukkOm konja nAL mAthAma irunga)

what, you mean I shouldn't change to yet another avatar of rajini or vijay on here? :lol:

krish244
10th September 2010, 12:12 PM
Was listening to "Oo Lalali" from "Aridhu Aridhu" movie (music by Thaman). Was wondering that the guitar (electric guitar?) at 01:00, 02:45 and 03:53 was familiar. Heard batlade song from "Chal Chalein" movie and observed that almost the same guitar (although slower tempo and elongated version) appears starting at 00:10. I love the funky prelude of this song.

"Oo Lalali" song link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGTHS0025%27&lang=en

Anyone heard it?

thanks,

Krishnan

jaiganes
10th September 2010, 07:29 PM
Was listening to "Oo Lalali" from "Aridhu Aridhu" movie (music by Thaman). Was wondering that the guitar (electric guitar?) at 01:00, 02:45 and 03:53 was familiar. Heard batlade song from "Chal Chalein" movie and observed that almost the same guitar (although slower tempo and elongated version) appears starting at 00:10. I love the funky prelude of this song.

"Oo Lalali" song link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGTHS0025%27&lang=en

Anyone heard it?

thanks,

Krishnan

Loops mayam jagathu. Raaja has used it in an extended mode - Thaman has used the distortion effect in a small time frame. This is what Raaja used to say "Ilai marai kaai maraivu" usage of Loops.
Pity - he could have used real guitars or players.
BTW this song could have well placed in Enthiran for all its "manfactured manidhan" etc like lyrics.
but the song is overall a wannabe for a wannabe character i guess.

rajasaranam
10th September 2010, 07:42 PM
இங்க நடக்குற அக்கபோருக்கெல்லாம் காரண*ம் இந்த திரிக்கு ராஜா சரியான தீனி போடாததுதான் :( ராசைய்யா எங்கய்யா இருக்க!

K
10th September 2010, 11:15 PM
ராஜாசரணம் ரமணா சரணம் சரணம் கேளுங்க, மனசு லேசாகும்

app_engine
10th September 2010, 11:19 PM
ராசைய்யா எங்கய்யா இருக்க!

தருமி ஞாபகத்துக்கு வர்றார் :-)

app_engine
10th September 2010, 11:29 PM
Nerd's post on ASK (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2228580&highlight=#2228580)

"இசை இளையராஜா, தயாரிப்பு கௌதம் மேனன்னு டீமே ஆச்சர்யமா இருக்கே?"

"கௌதம் ஒரே ஒருநாள் படப்பிடிப்புக்கு வந்து பார்த்து எல்லோருக்கும் 'வணக்கம்' சொல்லிட்டுப் புறப்பட்டுட்டார். 'என்ன பண்றீங்க... ஏது பண்றீங்க?'ன்னு புரொடியூசர் மாதிரி ஒரு கேள்வியும் கிடையாது. இளையராஜாதான் இந்தப் படத்தின் இன்னொரு ஹீரோ. அவர்தான் இசைன்னு சொன் னதும், 'நல்லாப் பண்ணுங்க... நல்லா பண்ணுங்க'ன்னு சொன்னார். கதையைக் கேட்டதும், 'அருமையா வரும். சந்தேகம் இல்லாம பண்ணு. இப்படியே போ. இது வேற சினிமா. நல்லாப் பண்ணுவோம்'னு தைரியம் கொடுத்தார் இளையராஜா. இந்தப் பட ஒளிப்பதிவுக்கு சந்தோஷ் சிவன் மாதிரி ஒருத்தர் கிடைச்சா நல்லா இருக்கும்னு தோணுச்சு. அந்த இடத்துக்கு 'தேனி' ஈஸ்வர்னு ஒருத்தர் கிடைச்சார். முதல் படம்னு சொன்னா, யாரும் நம்ப முடியாத அளவுக்குப் பின்னி இருக்கார் மனுஷன். தமிழ் சினிமாவுக்கு நிச்சயம் ஒரு நல்ல சினிமாவைத் தருவேன்னு உறுதி சொல்றேன்!"

app_engine
15th September 2010, 08:14 PM
http://tamil.webdunia.com/entertainment/film/featuresorarticles/1009/15/1100915051_1.htm

வினு சக்ரவர்த்தி டைரக்ட் செய்யும் "வேலி காத்தான்". ராசா இசை.

app_engine
15th September 2010, 08:27 PM
[tscii:f9ee644b66]

இசை இசைஞானி இளையராஜா.ரோசாப்பூ ரவிக்கைக்காரியிலிருந்துஇன்றைய என் “வேலிக்காத்தான்” வரை ஒரு முப்பத்துமூன்று வருடம் மரியாதைக்குரிய தொடர்பு தொடர்கிறது. ஆழ்ந்த தியானத்தோடு, ஆழ்ந்த ஞானத்தோடு அற்புதமான ஆறு பாடல்களை இசையமைத்து கொடுத்திருக்கிறார். நா. முத்துகுமார், கவிஞர் முத்துலிங்கம், பழனிபாரதி, கபிலன், சினேகன்என்று கவிஞர்கள் தங்கள் பாடல் வரிகளை என் படத்திற்க்காக பதிவு செய்கிறார்கள்.

http://narumugai.com/?p=11903

[/tscii:f9ee644b66]

sudhakarg
16th September 2010, 02:58 AM
The man is beyond titles and awards. However here is one more small recognition for the genius:

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/sep-10-03/ilayaraja-pazhassi-raja-15-09-10.html

sivasub
16th September 2010, 07:52 AM
http://tamil.webdunia.com/entertainment/film/featuresorarticles/1009/15/1100915051_1.htm

வினு சக்ரவர்த்தி டைரக்ட் செய்யும் "வேலி காத்தான்". ராசா இசை.

Same news in TOI

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/Vinu-in-a-new-avatar/articleshow/6559806.cms

sivasub
28th September 2010, 08:57 AM
Story, Screenplay by Sri.Mullapudi, Music by Sri. Ilayaraja and Starred by Sri. Nandamuri Balakrishna as Rama and Nayanatara as Sita

Muhurtam at 11 am, Thursday , 30 th September 2010 near Nacharam in Ram Krishna Cine Studios

Sri Rama Rajyam is the movie name

production Sri Saibaba Movies

"Sri Rama Rajyam" being Directed by Sri Bapu

http://www.nandamurifans.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99054-muhurtham-for-rama-rajyam-opening-shot/

vel
4th October 2010, 01:14 PM
my review of gaayam 2 (please buy original CDs)

1) Andaala Lokam
this is a great song, and you are not a blessed person if you have not heard it still :)...each second of this song is a blissfull musical outburst...not outburst, but blossom....its like each second, a musical flower is blossoming around your ears.....felt like i am sleeping in God's own lap...- raga Harikhambhodhi

2) Masakenakka
a nice example of how to compose peppy number that is rooted in melody ...see how IR does not lose grip on the melody in this peppy number...great singing by the female voice Anitha...- raga Keeravani

3) Endhukamma Prema Prema
If you felt similarities with Mudi Mudi of Pa, then its because of the scale probably...Sriram parthasarathy is the most promising singer of the younger generation...after 'ilangaathu veesudhae', this is another good work from him. - raga Mohanam

4) Eluthundru
they dont make such social theme numbers anymore...there are no grey shades on today's music, only black and white...either it is sad or it is the happy songs...the 7 colors between white and black is forgotten....the 9 rasas (navarasam) between sad and happy is forgotten....BTW, this eluthundru is vakulabharanam raga while another number with the same tune, Rama Rajyam is Vakulabharanam + Ni3 for some added effect of pathos!

5) Kalagane
great emotional singing by nam Isai Eesan ilaiyaraaja...so much impact the tune creates...even as i write this, the charanams play in my mind and i feel like going back and having another listen to this great number...didnt want to analyze this song, as i wanted to soak myself more of this melody before i dive into any analysis....putting the heart before the head :)

raj_musing
5th October 2010, 08:00 PM

1) Andaala Lokam
this is a great song, and you are not a blessed person if you have not heard it still :)...each second of this song is a blissfull musical outburst...not outburst, but blossom....its like each second, a musical flower is blossoming around your ears.....felt like i am sleeping in God's own lap...- raga Harikhambhodhi

2) Masakenakka
a nice example of how to compose peppy number that is rooted in melody ...see how IR does not lose grip on the melody in this peppy number...great singing by the female voice Anitha...- raga Keeravani

If you felt similarities with Mudi Mudi of Pa, then its because of the scale probably...Sriram parthasarathy is the most promising singer of the younger generation...after 'ilangaathu veesudhae', this is another good work from him. - raga Mohanam

4) Eluthundru
they dont make such social theme numbers anymore...there are no grey shades on today's music, only black and white...either it is sad or it is the happy songs...the 7 colors between white and black is forgotten....the 9 rasas (navarasam) between sad and happy is forgotten....BTW, this eluthundru is vakulabharanam raga while another number with the same tune, Rama Rajyam is Vakulabharanam + Ni3 for some added effect of pathos!

5) Kalagane
great emotional singing by nam Isai Eesan ilaiyaraaja...so much impact the tune creates...even as i write this, the charanams play in my mind and i feel like going back and having another listen to this great number...didnt want to analyze this song, as i wanted to soak myself more of this melody before i dive into any analysis....putting the heart before the head :)

Andala Lokam rules! I loved Eluthundru,but finds a "Geetanjali" touch for this song..

raj_musing
5th October 2010, 08:05 PM
and of course just happened to read the itwofs review as well

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2010/09/02/gaayam-2-music-review-telugu-ilayaraja/

njv
14th October 2010, 08:18 AM
Lot of readings here in TFM about IR not working with big guys, his Golu stuff etc. We just had a great Golu event at my home and ended the day with my usual ritual (of listening to IR melodies) and went into a conversation/dream/telepathy with maestro. I am sure many of you have had similar conversation, feel free to post them :)

I removed the usual vaanga, sowkya ma etc and the nandri, US vantha avasiyam veetukku vaanga etc at the end. So this is the core that may interest you.

NJV : Lot of your fans want more from you. We are concerned that you are not working with big producers/directors/actors and preferring small budget movies. Any reason for this?

IR : I dont diffferentiate between big and small producers/actors/directors. When they were small, they wanted me. Now they dont need me anymore. I didnt ask them to stop coming.

NJV : Then why dont u focus on more albums, like NBW, HTNI. You have lot to offer to the world.

IR : You see, I dont sit and create music. Music comes to me naturally and I write it down. I can not sit in a room to compose symphony. Symphony has to come to me naturally. It came to me when I went to Thiruvannamalai and the result is TIS.

NJV : Your songs now a days are not as refreshing as it used to be in 80s and even early 90s. Is this because the music sense changed or you are not getting enough inspirations.

IR : I have said that many times. I am glad that you recognize that my music is different than 80s. If I still do 80s music, you wont like it. Also, music now a days is like fastfood / popcorn. We can eat them once, but we cant eat every day. There is a difference between mothers food and fast food. The music now a days will affect our children.

NJV : Why cant you make music that on the outset are peppy and yummy and has the right frequency to direct the younger generation to the right path. This is like children expecting their mom to cook Pizza/Popcorn at home, so they get the taste, healthy ingrediants and the love. Can we expect Pizza from you.

IR : (with laugh), Pizza naan vaangi vena tharalaam, panna mudiyadhu.

NJV : Kadvulaala mudiyaathathu edhuvum illai. Pudhu raagam padaipathaale nanum iraivanennu neengathaan paadineenga. You can make anything.

IR : Atharkaana vaaipu vanthaal muyarchi pannuvom. Athai thavira nalla musicna yennanu sollara kadamai ungalukkum irukku. Rendu perum muyarchi pannalaam.

Note: I met IR in NJ during TIS time and all my preperations, questions etc went for a toss when I met him. He was kind enough to smile and take pic with me and I thought thats more than anything else in the world. I am sure I will pee on my pant if i see him again, but atleast I am brave enough in my dream :)

Sweet Dreams and may dreams come true (in this case!)

vel
14th October 2010, 10:23 AM

1) Andaala Lokam

2) Masakenakka

4) Eluthundru

5) Kalagane

Andala Lokam rules! I loved Eluthundru,but finds a "Geetanjali" touch for this song..

raj, after all the euphoria settled down, 'kalagane' stuck with me as the winner. So much emotions and felt like listening to it plenty of times.....

jaiganes
14th October 2010, 03:31 PM

1) Andaala Lokam

2) Masakenakka

4) Eluthundru

5) Kalagane

raj, after all the euphoria settled down, 'kalagane' stuck with me as the winner. So much emotions and felt like listening to it plenty of times.....
I agree!

raj_musing
15th October 2010, 05:09 PM
Vel,

Need to listen to that song again. On first hearing,Andalokam was my pick...

Also a small digg:-
Is anyone aware of the availability of Raja's Western classic album composed in sync with Mandolin Srinivas. This album is not available in Bangalore for sure...Am desperately looking for this for the past few months.

Thx
R

vel
18th October 2010, 03:59 PM
western classic? Are you refering to Mandolin srinivas plays ilaiyaraaja's classics? it is purely carnatic cmpositions. The CDs are not available anywher. But you can at best get it recorded from stores that are good in stocking raaja's rare pieces. I only hope Agi music re-masters this one and also plenty of others like vedic chanting...

vigneshram
19th October 2010, 10:35 PM
I got my CD of Mandolin U.Srinivas Play's "IlaiyaRaaja's Classics" from Nilashop (online)

http://www.nilashop.com/product_info.php?products_id=619

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th October 2010, 01:31 PM
http://thenaali.com/inner.php?id=312

இளையராஜா கால் பதிக்கும் புதிய உலகம்!

விளம்பரப் படங்களுக்கு இசை அமைப்பதைத் தவிர்த்துவந்த இளையராஜா, இப்போது முதல் முறையாக விளம்பர உலகில் கால் பாதித்திருக்கிறார். கேரளாவின் மிகப் பெரிய தங்க நகை விற்பனையாளர்களான மலபார் கோல்டு நிறுவனத்துக்காகத் தனது முதல் ஜிங்கிள் இசையைத் தந்துள்ளாராம் இளையராஜா.

இதற்கான படப்பிடிப்பை இன்னும் சில தினங்களில் சென்னையில் நடத்துகிறார்கள். விளம்பர உலகில் இசைஞானிக்கு நல்வரவு சொல்வோம்! இனி, தமிழ் விளம்பரப் படங்களுக்கும் இசையமைப்பார் என்று நம்புவோம்.

raj_musing
20th October 2010, 10:01 PM
I got my CD of Mandolin U.Srinivas Play's "IlaiyaRaaja's Classics" from Nilashop (online)

http://www.nilashop.com/product_info.php?products_id=619

Thanks Vel and Vignesh. I spoke with one of my friend,who is an ardent fan of raja and he had suggested a place to get this....So sorted :)

Devaraagam
27th October 2010, 01:41 AM
Listening Sai Pugazh Malai...

End of 3rd Round of listening, here is my likes and dislikes.

1. Sai Sri - Bombay Jayshree - the length is 50min and the same lyrics repeating but not having the feel that its repeating..gr8 rendition from Bombay Jayshree....what a strength on her voice man..

2. Poovaram - Likes this because the tune is catchy and lyrics too..

3. Vinnar Amuthey - Blissful melody

4. Siradi Naathanin - IR is having a habit of giving good tune to Bava and testing..in this song Bava is not much sothapal ...so good.

5. Saranam Bava - Nice to listen.

From 1st Listening , moved the song "Intha Kovil" separately as iyyo..same IR.

Sriram Parhtasarathy is singing very good but somehow when I start hearing his voice, I am having a feeling of listening Uliyin Osai Song... so let me give feedback after few listening.

vel
28th October 2010, 11:55 AM

IR has to cater to a wide audience base ...so he includes such colloquial sounding songs in all his devotional albums - suttri varum ulagathilae in ramana maalai, yen ooru sivapuram from guru ramana geetham, neenga annamalaikki from ramana saranam saranam...it also his way of saying devotion can be approached in a simple way as well....elimaiyaana makkalukaaga elimaiyaana isai...

Kurai ondrum illai :roll:

Devaraagam
28th October 2010, 12:54 PM

IR has to cater to a wide audience base ...so he includes such colloquial sounding songs in all his devotional albums - suttri varum ulagathilae in ramana maalai, yen ooru sivapuram from guru ramana geetham, neenga annamalaikki from ramana saranam saranam...it also his way of saying devotion can be approached in a simple way as well....elimaiyaana makkalukaaga elimaiyaana isai...

Kurai ondrum illai :roll:

:) I can say Its my feel /Kurai at today, I do not know I might like this after some years :)

Fliflo
29th October 2010, 07:38 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2010/10/29-mishkin-confession-his-previous-films.html

"Nandhalala" varuma?

Mysskin: Varum aanaa Varaathu

:confused2:

rooky
3rd November 2010, 08:11 AM
Nandhalala on Nov26th as per Today's paper-ad

Sureshs65
6th November 2010, 11:45 AM
Got the Saibaba CD a couple of days back. Here goes my review.

First we need to try and understand Raja's concept of bhakthi and how he incorporates it into his albums.( Ofcourse, Raja has not made any such statements but this is my own conclusion based on listening to Raja's various devotional albums.) Raja seems to believe that the bhakthi can be expressed in multiple ways. It can be a very personal one, where only you are in meditation. It can be something done in a group, say in a temple, like a bhajan. It can be played out in full blast from the loudspeakers in tiruvizhas. Neither is this expression limited to any one genre of music. It can be expressed using carnatic ragas, it can be expressed using western classical forms, it can be expressed using the film songs idiom. The orchestration too is equally catholic. It can be the traditional mridangam, tabla accompaniment, it can be based on synth, it can be based on vocal harmony and what not. If you listen to his albums on Ramana Maharishi and to his 'Manikanda Geeta Mala', you can find all these aspects. The overall idea seems to be to see how bhakthi, as a emotion, can be expressed in multiple ways.

There is ofcourse a danger of people thinking that this is not what they expected from a devotional album. And I have heard this from many people many times. But once they listen to the album a few times, then slowly their opinion changes. For finally the emotion gets to them. I think it was vigneshram who said that listening to one of these albums is akin to meditation.

With the rather lengthy preface behind us, let us check out the album. (Until and unless stated otherwise, lyrics by Vaali)

1. Adi Bhagavan- Sriram Parthasarathy& Chorus: This bhajan type song starts the album in a very mellow tone. The orchestration with tabla and cymbals and the very way the tune is structured with the male chorus reminds me to 'Maa Ganga' from 'Naan Kadavul'. The interludes are equally mellow and so is the charanam. A lovely song to put on and lose yourself.

2. Shiradi Naathanai- Bhavatharini & Chorus: This tune is a lovely fusion. The orchestration for the pallavi has the mridangam and the cymbals playing but the tune has a pure western feeling. The song also gives Vaali chance to display his power to play with words. The interlude has veena like sound (probably played on guitar) with the mridangam / cymbals keeping beat. The start of charanam is wonderful with the violins playing counter to the voice before the percussions join in. The final emotion of the tune is again one of mellowness.

3. Indha Kovil Mattum - Illayaraja: This is the typical folk type song. A song which can be played on loudspeakers so that all people can join in the celebration. A very energetic song, especially in the charanams. Not for quite reflection but for celebration.

4. Vinnar Amudhe: Janaki Iyer, Priya and Chorus: What a song!!! Reminds me instantly of Tiruvasagam. The pallavi starts with guitar strumming backing it and the cymbals keeping beat. The synth takes up the first interlude and does a nice job. The charanam is something to die for and Raja is in full flow. It starts with a nice rhythm and keeps changing the rhythm and all the while the melodic quotient keeps increasing. So many structural changes but yet the spirit is intact. No clue how this man does this. (In a private conversation Rajasaranam wrote to me: " I love 'vinnar amuthe'. Hell of a romantic song like "ennulle ennulle" but for a bhakthi feel. GENIUS".) (RS, hope it is OK quoting you without your permission!!)

5. Unnai Kettu Paar - Sriram Parthasarathy: This is the philosophical song in the album. If the earlier song put you in a trance, this one is tuned to shake you up. Based on Mayamalavagowla / Vakulabaranam and sung very energetically by Sriram, it has some lovely ludes. An instantly catchy song.

6. Saranam Bava Saranam - Rahul Nambiyar & Chorus: Raja alternates between the energetic and mellow. This one is a terrifically mellow song and Rahul Nambiyar does a lovely job with the help of the chorus. You can put this song and meditate. The charanam is quite simple with no complex charanam endings but rather straight return to pallavi. Since Raja does not do simple, he ensures that the second half of the charanam has a scale change effect. Song is based on Kalyani and I am as usual surprised as to how he can keep tuning so many fresh tunes in this raga!!

7. Poovanam Sooti - Illayaraja, Reeta, Roshini (Lyrics by Sangameshwar): The pallavi itself caught my fancy in the first listening itself. A very typical Raja tune with wonderful orchestration and lovely lyrics. The most interesting part for me is the charanam. The rhythm seems to be going its own way and tune going its own way. The tune is so melodious that it took me quite a while before I could detach from it and try to find out what the rhythm pattern was. Not sure if I have succeed yet. But this is typical Raja challenging us with his rhythm patterns seeming so different from the song pattern and yet jelling seamlessly!!! Let me repeat this, which I have been saying again and again. This man's brain works as hard as it used to in 80s and this song is an example.

8. Baba, Baba, Saibaba - Sriram Parthasarathy & Chorus: This song again gets back to the bhajan feel. A nice soft song with traditional backing. Lovely flute in the interludes. One more song to close your eyes and listening to in the privacy of your pooja room.

9. Sai Natha Sai Natha - Reeta, Roshini, Priya and kids: (Lyrics by Illayaraja) This is a chorus song for most part. Sung by kids who do a good job as do the lead singers. Very western orchestration with the synth but the rhythm pattern is very Indian. A touch of sadness can be perceived in this song.

10. Sai Shree Dwarakamayi - Bombay Jayashree: This is the 'traditional' semi classical devotional song. Bombay Jayashree's melodious voice, the minimal orchestration, the wonderful tune can put you in a trance. Taking this into account, they made a complete CD just with this song repeated in a loop and had made this the second CD.

Sureshs65
6th November 2010, 11:48 AM
Forgot to add that the lyrics are of high quality throughout. Vaali has done an inspired job and the lyrics of Sangameshwar are very nice as well.

K
7th November 2010, 09:37 AM
Good Review Suresh, My opinion on Raja's Bakthi album is also same as you said. Good.

krish244
7th November 2010, 10:43 AM
Talks that Marudhanayagam could be revived. IR was (and hopefully "is") the composer...right?

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/61302.html

thanks,

Krishnan

jaiganes
7th November 2010, 11:58 PM
is baba pugazh maalai available on itunes?

raagas
8th November 2010, 12:47 PM
Talks that Marudhanayagam could be revived. IR was (and hopefully "is") the composer...right?

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/61302.html

thanks,

Krishnan

I am not sure if Ilaiyaraaja was considered for this project. Long time ago i read that Kamal originally wanted a an Indian Classical Musician and a Western Classical Artist to collaborate for the music of this film.

MumbaiRamki
8th November 2010, 02:25 PM
Raagas , The same kamal Hassan also said in another interview that Marudhanayagam is not without illayaraaja and that he was the only choice . Let's see !

Plum
8th November 2010, 03:00 PM
Marudh will not be marketeable without Rahman, IMO. I dont think Kamal will get his way on this one, if he wants IR.

Bottomline, nobody is going to produce/distribute Marudh for kalai dhAgam. And such people think very differently from us or Kamal in this matter.

Sanjeevi
8th November 2010, 06:20 PM
Plum too much credit for Rahman and disgrace for not Raaja but for Kamal

Sureshs65
8th November 2010, 09:45 PM
Jai,

I am not sure about itunes. Even though it is a Sony release it is not yet widely available here in Bangalore!!!

app_engine
8th November 2010, 10:14 PM
KH-IR topic is interesting (though I'm 100% sure there's not going to be another movie from this combo..."patchi" tells).

Whether Kamal thinks that IR cannot deliver goods at present is something to be discussed.

IMO, their last combo, MX, had music that wasn't chartbusting type, but then we don't know what was demanded from IR.

If there's one artist who can demand and get things from IR with total freeness, it has to be KH. So, the general consensus could be that KH got what he wanted. The output, however, failed to please general public (which included me).

Did it make Kamal feel that it's better for him to partner with youngsters who know the "current pulse" of the audience and not keep sticking to --er--outdated-- veterans?

Similar to the decision RK took many years back?

In any case, I'd be surprised if Kamal cannot sell at similar or better prices with IR's music than what he currently manages with Sruthi / DSP / etc music. From that view, I don't buy the "money bags" theory. (Didn't see his interview but hub posts suggested so).

Also, it'd be an interesting question as to whether IR demands a bigger salary than the MDs who recently worked with Kamal. (It's quite possible that IR suggests BSO etc depending upon the script. OTOH, he may probably write the score in remarkably shorter time / without trips to London - Jamaica etc thus saving time and expenses).

jaiganes
8th November 2010, 10:51 PM
KH-IR topic is interesting (though I'm 100% sure there's not going to be another movie from this combo..."patchi" tells).

Whether Kamal thinks that IR cannot deliver goods at present is something to be discussed.

IMO, their last combo, MX, had music that wasn't chartbusting type, but then we don't know what was demanded from IR.

If there's one artist who can demand and get things from IR with total freeness, it has to be KH. So, the general consensus could be that KH got what he wanted. The output, however, failed to please general public (which included me).

Did it make Kamal feel that it's better for him to partner with youngsters who know the "current pulse" of the audience and not keep sticking to --er--outdated-- veterans?

Similar to the decision RK took many years back?

In any case, I'd be surprised if Kamal cannot sell at similar or better prices with IR's music than what he currently manages with Sruthi / DSP / etc music. From that view, I don't buy the "money bags" theory. (Didn't see his interview but hub posts suggested so).

Also, it'd be an interesting question as to whether IR demands a bigger salary than the MDs who recently worked with Kamal. (It's quite possible that IR suggests BSO etc depending upon the script. OTOH, he may probably write the score in remarkably shorter time / without trips to London - Jamaica etc thus saving time and expenses).
This combo may revive only if kamal directs and not acts. the stakes will be considerably less and therefore moneybags and deuchebags can be disregarded for a lofty artistic aim.

irir123
9th November 2010, 01:25 AM
Marudh will not be marketeable without Rahman, IMO. I dont think Kamal will get his way on this one, if he wants IR.

Bottomline, nobody is going to produce/distribute Marudh for kalai dhAgam. And such people think very differently from us or Kamal in this matter.

thats the sad story! but if ARR can deliver the goods, i ask 'why not ?' (though, I still crave for a Kamal/IR combo at least for Marudh!)

kalai dhagam or kathhirikkai dhagam - unless the film is of some genuinely out-of-the-world production values and some stunning imagery mixed with an equally appealing script, it will not have many takers - kamal wud be better off doing 'manmadhan ambu', 'chandiran sombu', 'rathiyin kambu' etc and ensure BO returns