PDA

View Full Version : Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

jaiganes
31st December 2009, 02:17 AM
Jai,

I too unfortunately watched Avatar yesterday. As you mention, the western music directors have a certain grammar and it is enough for them to just convey to the western audience that what you are hearing is tribal music. No one seems to worry about going beyond that in the movies like Raja has done. Anyway can't blame the MD here since the movie itself adheres to the grammar of formulaic cinema.
<digression>
why 'unfortunately'?
I thought that it was a very unique movie experience - one of the freshest movies in terms of experience in recent years
</digression>

kameshratnam
31st December 2009, 08:31 AM
yesterday Dr L Subramanian introduced Ilayaraaja to a western musician and said " He is the god of music" .....very true sir :D :D :D

2009 ends in a great way...Way to go rasaiyya

kameshratnam
31st December 2009, 08:33 AM
DOWN MEMORY LANE

SRINIVASA RAMANUJAM

The Times of India Lakshminarayana Global Music Festival was a memorable occasion for two old friends L Subramaniam and Ilaiyaraaja to catch up on old times. The camaraderie between the two was evident as they discussed music. Why do you have a tissue paper in your hand, we heard Subramaniam asking the maestro, Is it to write a list of your complaints about the concert Introducing the maestro to harmonica player Corky Siegel, L Subramaniam said, Hes the God of music here. A smiling Ilaiyaraaja promptly replied, Youre a musician too. There can be no God of music, because music is God!

kameshratnam
31st December 2009, 08:33 AM
See chennai times today

Hulkster
31st December 2009, 08:39 AM
oh shucks - the same was tried by a telugu channel as well this year. knowing IR's personality I would stay far away from inviting him to any such shows - because there is no talent in TN as far as singing is concerned. I peeked a few times into the super singer like contests it is all ore 'naarasam' more show and less talent. Raaja will not be courteous like SPB to say 'nanna try panneenga'. First episode - total elimination dhaan. HE will be better fit to be the judge in asianet idea super singer where the talent is much better and the orchestra also is superior.

It is well known that thalaivar charges amounts like that to purposely avoid such coverage rather than tell them in their face. He sometimes confuses me when he goes for such complicated decisions.

nbp
31st December 2009, 08:45 AM
One of the channels which have been doing a reality singing show is all set to take off with a grand finale event and for this, they had wanted Ilayaraja to be the chief guest and also play a few songs more like a concert. This was slated to happen for long hours.

However, after showing interest in the concert, Ilayaraja is said to have demanded a whopping Rs 2 crores which gave sweat to the organizers. While some say that he has quoted that figure probably to avoid, the others said that he can say directly instead of beating around the bush in that case

Sureshs65
31st December 2009, 12:14 PM
Jai,

/continuing the digression

I thought the movie was boring and quite predictable. The special effects experience was good. Maybe I am not a major movie lover or maybe my experience was less because I watched this movie in 2D.

/ end digression

Shankar
31st December 2009, 01:08 PM
<digression>
Ah, Suresh...watching avatar in 2D is the mistake there :) With 3d it's an experience! No two ways about it. The story is very simple. May be intentionally, because cameron may not have wanted ppl to get thinking about the story and miss all those glorious SFX :)
<dig-end>

Shankar
31st December 2009, 01:09 PM
mohan raja,
Did you mean "mamEn machAn..." where sumalatha goes looking for Rajnikanth?

raasavE unnai nAn is not from MK, if I remember right.

Shankar.P
31st December 2009, 04:52 PM
raasavE unnai nAn is from 'Thanikkattu Raja'

mohanraja
31st December 2009, 10:16 PM
yes shankar..
I really missed out..
'Mamen machan ' song thaan..

nightle antha paattai ketta kattukkulle pore mathiriye irukkum..

Wish u all a happy new year..

Sureshs65
31st December 2009, 11:28 PM
Wish everyone a Wonderful New Year ahead. Let's hope 2010 turns out to be as good as 2009 for all Raja fans.

Sanjeevi
31st December 2009, 11:36 PM
Hi all raja fans

Very Happy New Year 2010 :D

jaiganes
1st January 2010, 07:20 PM
welcome u all to one more Raaja decade!!!

writeface
1st January 2010, 11:27 PM
welcome u all to one more Raaja decade!!!

That's right! Happy 2010 to everyone. Especially to Raja!

Gokul.

Shank
2nd January 2010, 06:59 AM
Digression...folks, I just had to post this. It's possible that you have all discussed this song before but I stumbled upon this recently and was taken aback. I haven't seen another song where Raja has fully experimented with voices. Check it out!!

It's Naan Porandhu from Maya Bazaar (1995). The link below has the song in good quality...

http://www.jointscene.com/movies/Kollywood/Maya_Bazaar_(1995)/8078

Shank
2nd January 2010, 07:01 AM
Folks, the link doesn't paste fully when I try it...please copy and paste the full link (including the numbers in the end) into your browser. Thanks

tamizhisai
2nd January 2010, 09:36 AM
Dig

Yelelu Thalaimuraikkum (Yuvan, Karthik Raja, Bhavatharini, Venkat Prabhu, Premji, Parthi Bhaskar)
http://soundcloud.com/user6812548/goa-yezhezhu-thalaimurai

Valibaa va va (Ilaiyaraaja, SP Balasubramaniam, Chithra)
http://soundcloud.com/user6812548/goa-vaaliba-va-va

(Radio Rip)

Man this guy is truly amazing...... Composed a typical Raaja song..... after a long long time naattupura thalammum, themmangum pattaya kilaputhu.... 2010 starting on a high note....

vigneshram
2nd January 2010, 09:16 PM
At last got a CD of Raja's recently released???!!! devotional album "Ramanaa Saranam Saranam". The CD has very limited info, only the track listing with singers names. Not released by any audio label & not even price (Rs.50 actually) mentioned in the CD cover.
Its available only at Ramanaashram, Thiruvannamalai and got it through a friend from TVMalai.

I'm wordless to describe the songs. Its an experience.
Don't miss this album, friends

anegan
2nd January 2010, 09:29 PM
Digression...folks, I just had to post this. It's possible that you have all discussed this song before but I stumbled upon this recently and was taken aback. I haven't seen another song where Raja has fully experimented with voices. Check it out!!

It's Naan Porandhu from Maya Bazaar (1995). The link below has the song in good quality...

Shank, thanks for the link. I have'nt heared this song before. I don't know how I missed it. Truly an amazing song. Very very ahead of our times. May it was meant to be heared only after 15 years.

Great!
-Anegan

jaiganes
2nd January 2010, 10:17 PM

Shank, thanks for the link. I have'nt heared this song before. I don't know how I missed it. Truly an amazing song. Very very ahead of our times. May it was meant to be heared only after 15 years.

Great!
-Anegan

<Beware jingu chaa haters>
Awesome - abc TV in USA has this program sound off encouraging full vocal orchestra... - they should listen to this song and they will cancell it off.. jingbuku ppappa papppparap paaa
woow...
</Beware jinguchaa haters>

Sureshs65
4th January 2010, 11:09 AM
Got the 'Ramana Saranam Saranam' album from Tiruvannamalai through a friend of mine. Seems that the album is available only in Ramanashram. The cover has only Ramana Maharishi's photo and you need to look carefully to see Illayaraja's name on the CD. He photo does not appear in the front or the back cover.

There are 10 songs in this CD of which 8 are tuned by Raja. All 10 are written by Raja though. One Telugu song, written by Raja, is tuned by his guru, V Dakshinamurthy Swami. Another song is set to the Papanasam Sivan tune 'Eppadi Padinaro Adiyar' and Papanasam Sivan is credited as the music director.

This being a bhakthi album it doesn't make sense to 'review' it in the usual manner. So I will give you an idea of what the album contains. It starts with a very nice song based on Bageshri ragam. The next song seems to be in Mohanam. One Karaharapriya song, almost structured like a carnatic krithi, appears in this album. V Dakshinamurthy has tuned Raja's lyrics in Vasantha ragam. Raja has also reworked on the 'Maa Ganga' song giving it a more carnatic feel. There is a folk type song as well which is structured as if it is a conversation between two singers. Prasanna and Raja being the singers. Two songs are sung by Sriram Parthasarathy and in one song Bhava accompanies Raja.

Overall an album which the followers and believers will find to be a soothing one.

Fliflo
4th January 2010, 08:00 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/heroes/2010/01/04-kamal-announce-maruthanayakam-shoot.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW8B5OwywQM

Would still IR be the MD??? :confused2:

ramk1
4th January 2010, 10:37 PM
I guess not. Given the market nuances, Kamal may not go for IR.But there is a possibility that he may go for his daughter :-). IR needs a few big projects with good themes to come back. I wud not say Marudhanayagam is one.

app_engine
4th January 2010, 10:45 PM
I don't think there're any "market nuances" against IR as for as TF is concerned.

He still has his own following in TN (which very few current MDs can talk about, even though they're scoring for big budget movies...also people don't care that much for MD's name anymore, IMO... for e.g. I don't think people care whether it's HJ or VA or GVP or YSR or er...IR....who scores for a Vijay film).

And whenever IR combo'ed with the likes of KH, he did deliver the goods (mostly in the BO too).

PR / pA showed last year that even in non-TFM territories, he delivers when the expectations are above average. There is no question about market success of these movies as well - did they bomb because they had IR's name?

So, if IR is not chosen for MN, it would be for reasons other than BO, IMSO!

app_engine
4th January 2010, 11:28 PM
From a link posted by Plum in the IF section :
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1279047

This is the advantage of working with "established names". One instantly gets a new set of people "discovering" you :-)

Sanjeevi
4th January 2010, 11:31 PM
hello app_engine athu inga iruntha anga pona link than

marupadiyum inga post pannureenga :lol:

but thanks appo 11 pages than irunthuchu :)

app_engine
4th January 2010, 11:48 PM
ஓஹோ, அப்படியா சஞ்சீவி :oops: :-)

நான் அந்தப்போஸ்ட்டை கவனிக்கவில்லை. இன்று தான் அந்த லின்க்'கைப்பார்த்தேன் :-)

rajaalltheway
5th January 2010, 01:01 PM
PazhassiRaja producer signs Ayya for their next venture.Cast and crew yet to be decided,Ayya confirmed.There are indiactions that comic actor/script writer Jagadeesh may wield the megaphone.

rajaalltheway
5th January 2010, 01:04 PM
news recieved from a highly placed official in Gokulam Park star hotel

Saagar
5th January 2010, 08:06 PM
Not sure if this is known earlier:

A new Telugu film.

Ilayaraja to score music for Ajay 's next
Jan 4, 2010 - 8:00:47 AM

Ajay who has turned lead hero with films like Aa Okkadu and Saarayi Veerraju is now doing another film as the actor. This time he tests his luck in Tamil too. Tamil director Sethu Madhavan will direct his next film simultaneously in Tamil and Telugu. Maestro Ilayaraja will score the music for it. The film will be launched in Chennai on January 18th.

http://www.telugucinema.com/c/publish/news/ajay_jan0409.php

Sureshs65
5th January 2010, 10:11 PM
Hmmm. The way it is going will 2010 be a Telugu oriented Raja year as 2009 was a Kannada oriented one? Let's see if we get one more 'Om Shanthi'.

app_engine
5th January 2010, 10:16 PM
Objection your honor - 2009 was another MFM year (both scores were good and movies were super hits) :-)

Sanjeevi
5th January 2010, 11:16 PM
I want a tamil 2010 year for Raaja fans :)

Sureshs65
6th January 2010, 12:10 AM
app_eng,

I meant in terms of number of movies done outside of Tamil. Of course MFM was the beneficiary in terms of outstanding output but 4 films in Kannada was the largest after Tamil.

Ofcourse we want 2010 to be Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada year for all Raja fans :D

raagas
6th January 2010, 08:34 AM
Hmmm. The way it is going will 2010 be a Telugu oriented Raja year as 2009 was a Kannada oriented one? Let's see if we get one more 'Om Shanthi'.

you are waiting for another Om Shanti. I am still waiting for another Nirnayam, Saagar Sangamam, Rudraveena etc. Ofcourse films like Rudraveena or Sagarasangamam dont get made these days.But I am waiting for atleast complete commercial score, with artistic IR touch like Stuartpuram Police Station. Infact, one film-maker who should work with IR is Shekhar Kammula. He has a flair for good music, soaked with good lyrics.if only he approaches IR.he can extract much better stuff than dozen Om Shantis.He doesnt even need to put an effort to extract because it is IR there and the moment a director with taste approaches him, IR too justifies it.

irir123
7th January 2010, 08:00 PM
I managed to play to 'adhi ushas' (PR) and 'edaya bagilu' to my symphony orchestra player neighbors (husband oboe player & wife flutist)

1.'adhi ushas': the entire song is structured along the lines of western/european classical music, especially the chords - the chords placement/structure is critical for giving such a feel, other things follow this - such a trick is employed by rock-pop musicians/bands to give the nice rich feel - but the song melody itself is very oriental in feel - and i was zapped when he asked me "is the song about a group walking through the woods or something like that ?" - he doesnt know a single word in malayalam! thats the magic of IR - there are some other technical explanations he gave which were way too theoretical and went over my head (a la curtley ambrose bouncer to some tailender in the 1990s!)

2. 'edeya bagilu' - classic smooth jazz was his verdict

and as a bonus he listened to 'kannukkulley' title track - and told me that 'this guy (IR)' is quite a serious composer rooted in classical mold! there were bits of the theme which he replayed at least thrice and told me 'thats a weird glissando, something you wudnt find in western classical, but interesting how such a glissando gets linked with the western classical part'

As Vignesh pointed out in his article 'IR is indeed an island working in the Indian music scene'!

Sureshs65
7th January 2010, 11:38 PM
I managed to play to 'adhi ushas' (PR) and 'edaya bagilu' to my symphony orchestra player neighbors (husband oboe player & wife flutist)

1.'adhi ushas': the entire song is structured along the lines of western/european classical music, especially the chords - the chords placement/structure is critical for giving such a feel, other things follow this - such a trick is employed by rock-pop musicians/bands to give the nice rich feel - but the song melody itself is very oriental in feel - and i was zapped when he asked me "is the song about a group walking through the woods or something like that ?" - he doesnt know a single word in malayalam! thats the magic of IR - there are some other technical explanations he gave which were way too theoretical and went over my head (a la curtley ambrose bouncer to some tailender in the 1990s!)

Quite an interesting observation. Both regarding the western classical chord placement and him identifying with the picturization immediately!!

(And why Ambrose bouncers to tailenders only? The bouncers were good for some top line batsman as well, especially from our place :D )

Saagar
10th January 2010, 12:15 PM
Have a feeling that Om Shanti & Suryakanthi may turn out chart busters, basis how the movies also turn out..

My 4 yr daughter is hooked to songs from Chan Channare, Edaya bagilu , Chinna polike, Ottesi Chebutha & Swalpa soundu in a way that amazes me as she does not know a single word in either language - She keep murmuring parts of these lyrics to tune!

She keeps selecting these frequently from the playlists...

Kids are an effective barometer to gauge the "connect" of songs!

Sureshs65
10th January 2010, 03:50 PM
Saagar,

Hmmm. That is quite surprising I would say. I think it was Jai who had earlier mentioned about his daughter liking 'Ottesi'. As you say, how good the movie is will have a bearing on the reach of the songs. Let's hope the movies are good and do well at the BO. Will be nice to hear 'Suryakathi' songs on the FM radio.

Sureshs65
10th January 2010, 03:53 PM
Saagar,

The surprising part is the kid liking 'Edaya Bagilu' and "Chinna Polike'. Must have inherited your music sense :D

jaiganes
10th January 2010, 08:34 PM
my wife and i both like nenu nenuga.
my kid absolutely loves om shanti (raagas pardon pls) and om shanti and the chinna polike duet version. she would say 'I want the fast piano' I was like what song is that and when we kept fast forwarding and playing each song in the track - there was the fast piano in the prelude. she has connected to the album completely. Unnai patri sonnaal and enge nee sendralum are among other joint family favourites among recent raaja tunes...

Sureshs65
10th January 2010, 11:26 PM
raagas,

Jai's kid must be making you feel old now :D How fast we age in this internet era !!

Shankar.P
11th January 2010, 04:32 PM
Paa, 3 Idiots win big time

Paa bagged five awards, including Best Actor award for Amitabh, Best Actress for Vidya Balan, Best Child Actor for Pratik and Best Supporting Actress for Arundhati Nag (who played Amitabh's grandmother in the film).

http://movies.rediff.com/slide-show/2010/jan/11/slide-show-1-star-screen-awards-night.htm

raagas
11th January 2010, 04:37 PM
Jaiganes, Suresh,

that generation gap is not new to me :) but jaiganes, ensure that your kid learns music. may be, she will come back to you and say that "bass line" in Chinna Polike is interesting than a very machinated "Om Shanti" ;) Then may be,i can say "See, I was and I am young" :)

Shankar.P
11th January 2010, 04:38 PM
[tscii:5028da341f]in 16th Annual Star Screen Awards 2009 Nominations...

* Best Background Music
Amit Trivedi – Dev D
Ilaiyaraja – Paa
Salim-Sulaiman – Rocket Singh – Salesman Of The Year
Shantanu Moitra, Atul Raninga, Sanjay Wandrekar – 3 Idiots
Vishal Bhardwaj – Kaminey

* Best Playback Singer Female
Kavita Seth – Iktara – Wake Up Sid
Rekha Bhardwaj – Genda Phool – Delhi-6
Shreya Ghoshal – Zoobi Doobi – 3 Idiots
Shilpa Rao – Mudi Mudi – Paa
Sunidhi Chauhan – Mere Sang – New York

* Best Screenplay
Abhijat Joshi, Rajkumar Hirani, Vidhu Vinod Chopra – 3 Idiots
Anurag Kashyap, Vikramaditya Motwane – Dev D
Imtiaz Ali – Love Aaj Kal
Pankaj Advani – Sankat City
R Balki – Paa

* Best Dialogue
Abhijat Joshi, Rajkumar Hirani – 3 Idiots
Imtiaz Ali – Love Aaj Kal
Anurag Kashyap, Vikramaditya Motwane – Dev D
R Balki – Paa
Vishal Bhardwaj – Kaminey

* Best Editing
Aarti Bajaj – Dev D
Aarti Bajaj – Love Aaj Kal
Anil Naidu – Paa
Meghna Manchanda Sen, Sreekar Prasad – Kaminey
Rajkumar Hirani – 3 Idiots

* Best Sound
Bishwadeep Chatterjee, Nihar Ranjan Samel – 3 Idiots
Dileep Subramaniam – Love Aaj Kal
Sanjay Maurya, Allwin Rego – Dev D
Shajith Koyeri, Subhash Sahu, P M Satheesh – Kaminey
Tapas Nayak – Paa

* Best Cinematography
C.K. Muraleedharan – 3 Idiots
P.C. Sreeram – Paa
Rajeev Ravi – Dev D
Shankar Raman – Frozen
Tassaduq Hussain – Kaminey

[/tscii:5028da341f]

mahen01
11th January 2010, 06:19 PM
Guys, can anyone give me the movie names, song titles and the links to the PAA (hindi movie) tamil version

Sureshs65
11th January 2010, 06:58 PM
Jaiganes, Suresh,

that generation gap is not new to me :) but jaiganes, ensure that your kid learns music. may be, she will come back to you and say that "bass line" in Chinna Polike is interesting than a very machinated "Om Shanti" ;) Then may be,i can say "See, I was and I am young" :)

raagas,

By that time your own kid may be liking an 'Om Shanthi' equivalent or even more machine driven track :lol: You can never grow young now :D The only hope you have is that the song your kid likes would be a Raja song.

Sureshs65
11th January 2010, 07:00 PM
Aaah. The bassline in 'chinna polike'. Love it, even if it makes me look old !!!

Saagar
11th January 2010, 09:19 PM
Suresh,

Not too sure about that part of the inheritence! She enjoys all categories of songs but most preference is for melodies!

But, one thing is the connect with IR. Even my wife is surprised, when for many songs, she hears for the first time, remains hooked & asks for a repeat, it's invariably an IR song. Like thumbi Vaa - one of the initial favourites to Jotheyali.... Raja raaja chozhan.. even Maarugo... many such songs for which she has even not seen the visuals yet... & these invariably move into long time favourites!

Sureshs65
11th January 2010, 09:39 PM
Saagar,

That is really surprising indeed. For I see most of the kids here go for the modern sounding beat driven songs. Maybe it has to do with what they are exposed to in childhood. She has good taste for sure :)

Saagar
11th January 2010, 09:54 PM
You're probably right Suresh,

There could not have been a bigger coincidence - Just as I'm into this, one of the singers in idea Star singer sang "Nee Pournami endrum en nenjile..." today & she came running to me after that wanting to Know if we have this song - "pls play it for me...!" & It's the first time she is hearing this song!

Sureshs65
11th January 2010, 10:12 PM
Sagar,

Wow. That's all I can say. If a kid of 4 loves 'nee pournami' on the first listen, you can rest in peace regarding her taste in music!!

Bala (Karthik)
12th January 2010, 01:04 AM
You're probably right Suresh,

There could not have been a bigger coincidence - Just as I'm into this, one of the singers in idea Star singer sang "Nee Pournami endrum en nenjile..." today & she came running to me after that wanting to Know if we have this song - "pls play it for me...!" & It's the first time she is hearing this song!
:shock: :notworthy:

jaiganes
12th January 2010, 02:18 AM
Jaiganes, Suresh,

she has already spotted the layers of vocal harmony in different sthaayis and different styles.
one group singing 'Om Shaanthi' in western style in high pitch, with one group singing it in lower scale - Indian style - they create a sound effect which is very unique and catchy.

One more thing I have taken a liking to in that song is the brief connecting electric guitar bit that ties the lines in the charanam giving tempo - neatly done. Also the lyricist has got a good musical ear in coming up with phrases like 'kaalusthu peloosthu' Which to my Telugu lacking ear sounds exactly in sync with the tune.

rooky
12th January 2010, 06:56 PM
Suryakanthi (Kannada) is likely to be IR's first movie release for 2010.
This movie is likely to release for Sankranthi (Pongal).

Plum
12th January 2010, 08:26 PM
Jaiganes, Suresh,

she has already spotted the layers of vocal harmony in different sthaayis and different styles.
Too much Jai - dont give us an inferiority complex :lol:

app_engine
13th January 2010, 03:58 AM
Per recent interview of IR to The Hindu, onething is very clear.

He's not going to work on any non-filmi albums unless some big music company produces it (highly unlikely at this point of time).

So, unless Agi music does some compilation of his pre-2K BGM and things like that, there may not be another instrumental album from his in the near future. Instead, he'll look for ways to make some quick bucks from films (even if that means just singing alone, like in the case of Goa).

No great issues, we have enough works of him to listen for years anyways.

Just one small wish, that some big firm pays him to release his symphony #1 ( Can Agi or Balki do something about it?)

irir123
13th January 2010, 05:20 AM
Per recent interview of IR to The Hindu, onething is very clear.

He's not going to work on any non-filmi albums unless some big music company produces it (highly unlikely at this point of time).

So, unless Agi music does some compilation of his pre-2K BGM and things like that, there may not be another instrumental album from his in the near future. Instead, he'll look for ways to make some quick bucks from films (even if that means just singing alone, like in the case of Goa).

No great issues, we have enough works of him to listen for years anyways.

Just one small wish, that some big firm pays him to release his symphony #1 ( Can Agi or Balki do something about it?)

andha symphony vishayathhula yedho thaaru maaru nadandhurukku - otherwise he wud have released it long ago - either in terms of quality or copyrights related issue, there is something serious abt the symphony - i dont think either AGI or balki can do anything abt it

besides even if it is released, namma buddhi/vetkam ketta makkal will download illegally - there is no incentive in it for IR in anyway, UNLESS someone buys it from him at a decent price

raja_fan
13th January 2010, 08:33 AM
besides even if it is released, namma buddhi/vetkam ketta makkal will download illegally

"Buddhi ketta makkal" are not there exclusively for spoiling IR's chances. These people do it for any music from anybody.
IR needs to stop fuming over the system and learn to swim in the new trend currents !

njv
13th January 2010, 10:15 AM
Saagar,

That is really surprising indeed. For I see most of the kids here go for the modern sounding beat driven songs. Maybe it has to do with what they are exposed to in childhood. She has good taste for sure :)

My 4 yr old son love IR songs. His first ever song was Tiruvasagam (when my wife was carrying him). His first "visual" song was "Janani" from "One Man Show" dvd. When he saw IR on the screen, he lied flat on the ground ("namaskaram"). This was when he was about year and half. Since then, he has been IR fan.

He (like every other child) is adicted to Nintendo. Nothing can take his focus out of Nintendo, except IR songs. He dont turn his head to even TV commercials. A soothing 80 melody is the only thing that can disturb him.

He is hooked on to "Raasathi Onna". He sing with perfect notes. Hoping to put him into Carnatic lesson and let him feel music. Y'day, I played "Vaanilae thennila aaduthae paaduthae" - He instantly caught onto it and asking for repeat.

Kids are open minded. They take what we give them.

Sureshs65
13th January 2010, 02:08 PM
njv,

Going by what I am hearing from you, Saagar and Jai, a new generation of Raja fans is already on the way. In a decades time they will be dominating this forum and we can retire peacefully :) (Not that anyone is forcing us to continue. Many may want us to take VRS now itself :lol: )

njv
13th January 2010, 02:23 PM
andha symphony vishayathhula yedho thaaru maaru nadandhurukku - otherwise he wud have released it long ago - either in terms of quality or copyrights related issue, there is something serious abt the symphony - i dont think either AGI or balki can do anything abt it

I heard 2 stories so far.

1. SONY want full copyright for the Symphony. IR never gives copyright of his music to anyone (most recently ARR started this and this created some conflict with T-Series). Full copyright includes paying royalty to SONY if IR himself re-use this music or to perform in any shows.

2. Some one who reviewed this questioned authenticity of the music and IR was pissed off and decided not to release.

I believe the former because IR has had issues with this through out his career. Later - hmmm... also believable.

raagas
13th January 2010, 02:24 PM
besides even if it is released, namma buddhi/vetkam ketta makkal will download illegally

"Buddhi ketta makkal" are not there exclusively for spoiling IR's chances. These people do it for any music from anybody.
IR needs to stop fuming over the system and learn to swim in the new trend currents !

Hmm.. Thats true.. every composer/artist is facing the same issue.

rajaalltheway
13th January 2010, 02:28 PM
Coming to kiddy preferences,any tiny tot aged above 2 in kerala knows "thannannam thaanannam" from Yatra,something Ayya composed back in 80s.I dont know from where my 3 year old daughter learnt it,i dont remember playing it in my stereo often.Ofcourse 'thumbi vaa' and 'kiliye kiliye' are staple diets for kids in every kerala household.Sad they get corrupted once they age and discover something called 'new' in music

Sureshs65
13th January 2010, 11:11 PM
Been listening to 'Ramana Saranam Saranam' album first thing in the morning for more than a week now. I had earlier posted regarding the songs of this album. I want to now post some thoughts on the devotional albums of Raja.

As everyone knows Raja has been releasing devotional albums at regular intervals. In his biography he says that he tuned 4 Kannada devotional songs and lot of people were touched by those songs. I searched hard for it and got it. Only to realize that I already had the Tamil versions of these songs in the album, 'Geeta Vazhipadu'. The devotional albums that Raja has released that I know of include: 'Illayarajavin Geeta Vazhipadu', 'Ramana Malai', 'Guru Ramana Geetham', 'Geeta Vazhipadu', 'Amma Paamalai', 'Manikanda Geeta Mala' and 'Ramana Saranam Saranam'. I am unable to procure 'Amma Paamlai' though I have tried hard. If someone lets me know where I can procure it, I will be grateful. I have heard the songs though on thiraipaadal.

When I hear these songs what I realize is that not only in the sphere of music is Raja an integrator, but also in the devotional field. What I mean here is that whenever people talk about devotional song or devotional album, they immediately have a standard template in mind. If it is a Hindu devotional, the expectation is that it will be based on some carnatic or a light hindustani ragam. The same way, the Christian and Muslim devotionals have their own templates. Everyone thinks that devotional songs are different from film tunes. A statement like 'That devotional song sounds like a film song' is usually made in the pejorative sense. Raja, in most of these albums, doesn't bother about such expectations. He seems to believe that 'bhakthi' is the same, whether you express it as a 'film song', or as a folk song or as a semi classical song. The overall feeling should be what the lyrics want to convey. To his credit, he does convey the sense, though at first people's reaction is somewhat confused as to what these type of songs are doing in a devotional album.

I remember the time when I bought 'Ramanamalai' tape in the ashram and drove back to Bangalore playing that tape. My wife's reaction was "This sounds like a film album." Later it went on to become a very important devotional album for her. Same was the case with 'Guru Ramana Geetham'. When she heard one song based on Mayamalavagowla, she remarked, "This sounds like 'Oru chiri kandal' " Slowly this album too went on to become a favorite. If you hear 'Manikandan Geeta Mala' you will have the same feeling. Infact one of the posters here had said that one song sounded like a Christian devotional. My feeling is that in these albums Raja wants to break that barrier of saying this type of music is suitable only for this type of songs. He wants to convey the 'bhakthi bhavam' in every possible way. Be it a filmy melody, be it a folk melody, be it a qawali beat based song or a christian choir like song. Raja goes beyond the brahminical version of bhakthi to try and incorporate the bhakthi bhavam prevalent in different strata of the society.

Well, atleast that is my theory :) Not sure how many of you will agree with it. Your views most welcome.

eagle
14th January 2010, 01:05 AM
Raja goes beyond the brahminical version of bhakth

whats brahminical version of bhakthi?... in musical sense... is it vedic chants? that case he incorporated them into many of his songs... y get into needless controversy?....

Sureshs65
14th January 2010, 02:53 AM
eagle,

I am definitely not trying to be controversial here. When I meant 'brahminical version of bhakthi' I meant something which is very formal, something which is more raga based, has less of folk elements etc. (I am not sure how to explain this without getting into controversy so I will point you to a short story of Jeyamohan titled, 'maadan moksham'. That probably gives a clear idea of what I wanted to say.)

jaiganes
14th January 2010, 03:24 AM

andha new trendu ennaannu konjam velakureengala .. please..
naangalum andha aathula neendhi paakuromE konjam...

jaiganes
14th January 2010, 03:32 AM
Raja goes beyond the brahminical version of bhakth

whats brahminical version of bhakthi?... in musical sense... is it vedic chants? that case he incorporated them into many of his songs... y get into needless controversy?....
oru egjampil is something in MS Subbulakshmi's voice like a bhaja govindam or vishnu sahasranamam or suprabatham - adhu - if you observe all the current carnatic singers singing devotional try to channel MS and it is very evident.

non-brahmin version atleast among ladies is 'veppilaikkaari' template with LR Easwari singing out loud with louder orchestration..

Raaja's is as usual the middle way - understated and strained in emotion - classic example - 'Kaaranamindri kanneer varum' adhan raaga thala vistheernangal kuriththa aaraichi thevayatradhu, adhan bhaavam nijamaagave kanindha manangaLil kanneer varavazhaikka koodiyadhu, konjam kuzhaivodu nammai andi nirpadhu.
Indha paadalai isayaaga ketpadhai vida, youtube videovil Raasappu paadum bodhu innum unarchi ponguvadhEnO?

K
14th January 2010, 03:46 AM
Been listening to 'Ramana Saranam Saranam' album first thing in the morning for more than a week now. I had earlier posted regarding the songs of this album. I want to now post some thoughts on the devotional albums of Raja.

As everyone knows Raja has been releasing devotional albums at regular intervals. In his biography he says that he tuned 4 Kannada devotional songs and lot of people were touched by those songs. I searched hard for it and got it. Only to realize that I already had the Tamil versions of these songs in the album, 'Geeta Vazhipadu'. The devotional albums that Raja has released that I know of include: 'Illayarajavin Geeta Vazhipadu', 'Ramana Malai', 'Guru Ramana Geetham', 'Geeta Vazhipadu', 'Amma Paamalai', 'Manikanda Geeta Mala' and 'Ramana Saranam Saranam'. I am unable to procure 'Amma Paamlai' though I have tried hard. If someone lets me know where I can procure it, I will be grateful. I have heard the songs though on thiraipaadal.

When I hear these songs what I realize is that not only in the sphere of music is Raja an integrator, but also in the devotional field. What I mean here is that whenever people talk about devotional song or devotional album, they immediately have a standard template in mind. If it is a Hindu devotional, the expectation is that it will be based on some carnatic or a light hindustani ragam. The same way, the Christian and Muslim devotionals have their own templates. Everyone thinks that devotional songs are different from film tunes. A statement like 'That devotional song sounds like a film song' is usually made in the pejorative sense. Raja, in most of these albums, doesn't bother about such expectations. He seems to believe that 'bhakthi' is the same, whether you express it as a 'film song', or as a folk song or as a semi classical song. The overall feeling should be what the lyrics want to convey. To his credit, he does convey the sense, though at first people's reaction is somewhat confused as to what these type of songs are doing in a devotional album.

I remember the time when I bought 'Ramanamalai' tape in the ashram and drove back to Bangalore playing that tape. My wife's reaction was "This sounds like a film album." Later it went on to become a very important devotional album for her. Same was the case with 'Guru Ramana Geetham'. When she heard one song based on Mayamalavagowla, she remarked, "This sounds like 'Oru chiri kandal' " Slowly this album too went on to become a favorite. If you hear 'Manikandan Geeta Mala' you will have the same feeling. Infact one of the posters here had said that one song sounded like a Christian devotional. My feeling is that in these albums Raja wants to break that barrier of saying this type of music is suitable only for this type of songs. He wants to convey the 'bhakthi bhavam' in every possible way. Be it a filmy melody, be it a folk melody, be it a qawali beat based song or a christian choir like song. Raja goes beyond the brahminical version of bhakthi to try and incorporate the bhakthi bhavam prevalent in different strata of the society.

Well, atleast that is my theory :) Not sure how many of you will agree with it. Your views most welcome.

"Maa Ganga" Naan Kadavul Title songa Repeat panni irukaar intha album la.

jaiganes
14th January 2010, 05:10 AM

"Maa Ganga" Naan Kadavul Title songa Repeat panni irukaar intha album la.

interesting give back - dont u think?
devotional albumlendhu 'Pichai paathiram' Baala eduthaar.
Avar padathulendhu Raaja 'Maa Ganga' vai edukkirar....

Sureshs65
14th January 2010, 08:26 AM
Jai,

You have very precisely explained the difference. That was what I was trying to convey.

The bhavam in almost all the songs of 'Ramana Saranam Saranam' is very touching.

Yes, 'Maa Ganga' is remade in this album but with a minor twist which makes this more a South Indian melody compared to the North Indian bhajan that was 'Maa Ganga'. The change starts right at the beginning, when Sriram hums the raga. I am happy that he has expanded this to two stanzas. Nice give-and-take analysis :)

Overall a very emotional and touching album.

raagas
14th January 2010, 10:20 AM
The devotional albums that Raja has released that I know of include: 'Illayarajavin Geeta Vazhipadu', 'Ramana Malai', 'Guru Ramana Geetham', 'Geeta Vazhipadu', 'Amma Paamalai', 'Manikanda Geeta Mala' and 'Ramana Saranam Saranam'.

Suresh,

were there two albums by Geeta Vazhipadu and Ilayarajavin Geeta Vazhipadu? or are they both same?

And the Ramana Maalai you mentioned here is 'Ilayarajavin Ramana Maalai' right?

Sureshs65
14th January 2010, 12:40 PM
raagas,

Yes, you are right. In both cases you need to prefix Illayaraja :)

Sanjeevi
14th January 2010, 12:50 PM
Ramanashramam had a stall in recent Chennai book fair. I saw all the three Raaja 'Ramanar' albums (moonu thanE?) there. Missed the chance to buy :(

krish244
14th January 2010, 06:42 PM
Suryakanti movie review from Rediff:

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2010/jan/14/south-kannada-movie-review-suryakanthi.htm

"layaraja is very good in creating the background score. His two song compositions Edheya Baagilu Thattadhe and Mouna Neenu have raised above the bar of excellence.

Chaithanya's Suryakanthi is worth a watch for Ilayaraja's work and superb outdoor shoot. "

thanks,

Krishnan

K
14th January 2010, 11:19 PM
Ramanashramam had a stall in recent Chennai book fair. I saw all the three Raaja 'Ramanar' albums (moonu thanE?) there. Missed the chance to buy :(

I bought the Ramana Saranam saranam Cd there for Rs.50. They said Raja has done this album in free for the Ramanashramam, the other 2 CDs were RamanaMaalai and Guru Ramana Geetham.

rprasad
15th January 2010, 02:52 AM
Since nothing new on IR's new albums side, i have to digress to comment on some new albums which have come out in Tamil(i am not naming names here to avoid controversy).
I dont seem to understand why our present composers go out of the way to make the song sound as unIndian(is this a word?) as possible. I mean none of the songs from the two albums i heard sound Indian at all. I mean it is an Indian/Tamil movie right ? Is it considered out of fashion to compose a song rooted in our Indian sounds? While one album though catchy has a complete western sound to it, the other album has a singer screaming a word constantly in high pitch throughout a song and this is supposed to mean experimentation with song? on top of it the Director of that movie on the audio launch function comments that the London audience loved the songs as they sounded so international. Why are we so infatuated with trying to get our songs to sound like other foreign songs?
I mean IR's music has many international elements to it but his song always had that Indian sound rooted in its melody and i am glad he has still not compromised on it. Eventhough his orchestration has a lot of western elements it never makes the song sound any different from an indian song.
Sorry for the digression.

raagas
15th January 2010, 11:16 AM
rprasad,

IR himself recently said that we cant get judgemental and everyone works according to their own requirements. Know what, i came across an interesting quote once - There is nothing like Good Music or Bad Music; there is only Music which we like and which we dont like. And IR too says the same thing, when he said that there is nothing like Hit song and non-hit song. It is just what we like and dislike. So be it. Why do we want to discuss what London audience thinks?
And sounding something international is an interpretation.The Chorus part in "Poovar Senni Mannan" is akin to vedic chanting for us, but for budapest philharmonic orchestra people, it is operatic and more choral.Tell me, did IR intend to sound Indian or western there? It is all up to listener's interpretation.
I think, be it any composer, not just IR, it is good to ignore others interpretations and opinions and listen to it as you would listen to just any thing. if you like it, it becomes good. else, it isn't. It doesn't matter if someone in London or Singapore or Budapest or Moscow loves it or not.

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 12:14 PM
I guess discussing nativity is a different subject altogether. Let us not get into any unnecessary discussions regarding what other music directors are doing. Will not help anyone.

I don't mind a good discussion on current musical trends. But that is for another thread and definitely another day :) Need to get some work done now :)

raagas
15th January 2010, 02:27 PM
Just checked this link: http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/trade/releasedates/index_in.html

No sign of release of Hindi film SRK anywhere :(

IR-Gulzar's combination, still lying in cans.

rprasad
15th January 2010, 09:42 PM
Raagas, I never commented on a song being bad or good. I am fully aware that every one has their own taste for music. Again i dont know where you got the impression that i wanted to discuss about what London audience thinks. I only quoted a director to drive home a point. I think you totally missed my point here. I am mererly trying to point out that there seems to be a trend/craze among the present day composers/directors to try to make the songs sound more western/international instead of trying to make good Indian film song. and i disagree on your point that nativitiy in a song can be subjective or interpretative. But as Suresh says this can be a separate thread some other time.

teja
15th January 2010, 10:13 PM
IR has signed yet another Telugu film - "Gaayam 2". (Sequel to RGV's Gaayam)

http://www.telugucinema.com/c/publish/news/vimalaraman_jan1509.php

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 10:21 PM
Hmm. 'Gayam -2'? I guess the first 'Gayam' had story by Manirathnam and direction of RGV. It had Jagapathy Babu and Revathi. The film was a pain. Before 'Gayam', RGV had made 'Antham', which was also a pain!! One of my friends remarked (in Telugu)after watching 'Gayam', "Ram Gopal Verma munde antham ayyi poyadu. Inka emi vaadiki gayam?" :D Not translatable though.

rprasad
15th January 2010, 10:47 PM
Suresh, i liked Gayam . It was more raw and not as polished as Shiva but certainly one of the better ones from RGV at that time period. and it was pretty succesful too in terms of box office. Jagapathi Babu potrayed his character prefectly with restraint and a sort of underplayed aggression. While Antham was terrible, Gayam certainly was a much better movie. Though i am not so optimistic of the sequel since it is handled by a another director who has no track record as such. Lets hope he can atleast get IR to give some good songs like Mallepoovu.

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 11:24 PM
rp,

Agree that 'Gayam' was probably better than 'Amtham' but we were tired with very similar RGV style at that time. As you say, hope the director is able to inspire Raja to give him some excellent songs.

Shankar.P
16th January 2010, 03:00 PM
song recording starts today...

'kulasekaranum koolippadaiyum'

cast: Nattu, Prakash Raj, Vadivelu

Crew: G.Siva, Ilayaraja, RD Rajasekar, VT Vijayan, Thottatharani......

Saagar
16th January 2010, 04:34 PM
[tscii:29a66b2108]From Indiaglitz:

‘Suryakanthi’ is worth watching once for many reasons – the tall, lanky and beautiful Regina, handsome Chetan, extraordinary cinematography from HC Venu, exotic locations of Uzbekistan, Goa, Belgaum, three marvelous tunes from music maestro Ilayaraja – what else is required for a commercial cinema!

[/tscii:29a66b2108]

Saagar
16th January 2010, 04:34 PM
Any idea how Suryakanthi is doing at BO? Has anyone seen yet ?

Fliflo
16th January 2010, 07:45 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/shooting-spot/2010/01/16-kulasekaranum-koolipadaym-pooja-held.html

Sureshs65
16th January 2010, 08:02 PM
Saagar,

I am not too sure if Suryakanthi is doing well in the box office. Seems that the director has changed tracks and tried a full commercial movie but doesn't seem to reach the people. One more promising director bites the dust!!

Fliflo
16th January 2010, 08:48 PM
Look at this one

Isaignani Ilayaraja swamigalin (?) innisayil

http://www.images.behindwoods.com/photo-galleries-q1-09/tamil-photo-gallery/kulasekaranum-koolipadiyum/kulasekaranum-koolipadiyum-05.html

Shankar.P
16th January 2010, 08:50 PM
இன்றைக்கு பாடல் கேட்டு வருபவர்கள், 'அந்த படத்தில் வந்தது மாதிரி.​.. இந்த பாடல் வேண்டும்' என்று குறிப்பிட்டுதான் கேட்கிறார்கள்.​ 'புதுமையாக வேண்டும்' என யாரும் கேட்பதில்லை.​ 877 படங்கள் முடித்தாகி விட்டது. இப்போது​ எந்த இயக்குனரும் என்னிடம் புதுமையை நோக்கி வரவில்லை.

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2010/01/ilayaraja-s-request-set-up-music.html

pulavar
17th January 2010, 04:35 AM
வடிவேலு, பிரகாஷ் ராஜ், நட்ராஜ், பிரம்மானந்தம், சத்யராஜ் உள்ளிட்டோர் நடிக்கும் குலசேகரனும் கூலிப்படையும் படத்தின் படப்பிடிப்பு இன்று பாடல் ஒலிப்பதிவுடன் தொடங்கியது.

எஸ்.என்.எஸ். மூவிஸ் சார்பில் உஷா வெங்கட்ரமணி, கெளசல்யா மணி தயாரிக்க, இசைஞானி இளையராஜாவின் இசையில் உருவாகும் இந்தப் புதிய படத்தில் கீர்த்தி சாவ்லா, உதயதாரா ஆகியோர் நாயகிகளாக நடிக்கின்றனர்.

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/shooting-spot/2010/01/16-kulasekaranum-koolipadaym-pooja-held.html

Fliflo
17th January 2010, 09:06 AM
UPCOMING MOVIES OF ILAYARAJA - 2010
-----------------------------------------------------------

Pen Singam ( Tamil )
Uday Kiran, Meera Jasmine, Karthika
Release Date : Apr 2010

Nandhalala ( Tamil )
Mysskin, Ashwath Raman, Snightha Akolk
Release Date : 04 Apr 2010

Sketch For Love ( Telugu )
Chetan Kumar, Archana, Atul Kulkarni
Release Date : May 2010

Nannavanu ( Kannada )
Prajwal Devaraj, Aindrita Ray, Avinash
Release Date : May 2010

Oh My God ( Telugu )
Master Kamal, Kriya, Ali
Release Date : 27 Aug 2010

Priyatama Raave ( Telugu )
Githan Ramesh, Priyamani, Jahnavi
Release Date : 29 Oct 2010

Paadi Parantha Kili ( Tamil )
Nirmal
Release Date : Nov 2010

Padithurai ( Tamil )
Abhishek, Abinaya, Arya
Release Date : Dec 2010

Thandavakone ( Tamil )
Sanjaikumar, Manochitra, Kanja Karuppu
Release Date : Dec 2010

K
17th January 2010, 10:49 AM
Pen Singam is DEVA Sir

Plum
17th January 2010, 08:09 PM
Suresh/raagas, which thread did you post the padutha theeyaga links?

mohanraja
17th January 2010, 09:05 PM
Hi guys,
Raja has done music for this Kannad short film..

http://movingpoems.com/tag/ilayaraja/

Sureshs65
17th January 2010, 09:12 PM
Plum,

Here it is:

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5320&start=660

Sureshs65
17th January 2010, 09:16 PM
Chandramohan,

That is the film on Akka Mahadevi which Raja has given musical shape to Akka Mahadevi's great vachanas. The background score of that short film was done by Shantanu Moitra (now famous for the music of 3 Idiots.) Our own Rajasaranam had dug this DVD up and had written a lovely post on all the songs. You can read his article at:

http://pulikesi.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/scribbles-on-akka/

Plum
17th January 2010, 11:52 PM
Plum,

Here it is:

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5320&start=660Thx Suresh!

Fliflo
18th January 2010, 01:59 AM
Pen Singam is DEVA Sir

K, Got it. Thanks!

raagas
20th January 2010, 03:43 PM
IR has given a good lot in 2009 that I am relishing. But I am waiting for his next offering too. Wonder what could it be!

thumburu
20th January 2010, 05:57 PM
Jan 15 TOI Bangalore edition carries Suryakaanti review by GSKumar. He has rated 3.5 stars [Good to Very good] He says its a classy movie and regarding IR's music he says its melodious. Today's TOI page 3 has a news snippet that director Chaitanya has trimmed few scenes in the movie to accelerate its pace.

rooky
20th January 2010, 06:45 PM
Banglore mirror also carried a good review saying that the director has given a commercial masala succesfully and rated 3 stars.

Bangalore edition of Dinakaran also had a good review for the movie.

To add, Suryakanthi was the solo Kannada release for Sankranthi.

cry_sandiego
26th January 2010, 06:11 PM
IR, ARR conferred Padma Bhushan Awards !

http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/article94788.ece

rajaalltheway
30th January 2010, 12:45 PM
Apropos the Pazhassiraja-ONV lyrics controversy,yesterday Manorama News Channel beamed a 1 hour long interview with director Hariharan.My respect (non existent) have grown 200 fold for the man after watching it.As expected the channel guy asked Hariharan to clear the air regarding the lyrics controversy.
The answer "I havent heard what Raaja sir said.I read about the whole thing in newspapers.As a director i got exactly what i wanted from ONV and Rajasir composed it beautifully,the way I was expecting it to be.If Raaja sir felt lyrics didnt convey the emotions its his personal opinion.He has a 'right' to express his opinion and there is nothing wrong in it"

Sureshs65
31st January 2010, 12:41 AM
rajaalltheway,

Thanks for the news about the Manorama program. Hariharan is a sensible man and he probably understands an artist better, given that he is also an artist.

pulavar
31st January 2010, 07:41 PM
South Indian Actor Arya opens Production House

South Indian actor Arya has opened his own production house The Show People, its first project being Padi Thurai. He has the shared the responsibility of the films among friends and other industry people.

Currently busy acting in a Telugu flick Madrasa Pattinam, Chikku Bukkku, Arya seems to the person who likes to concentrate on one thing at a time.
Though the talented actor has started his production house, he just wants to act as a producer in it, rather than acting in the films churned out by his production house.

He says, “I have started a production house- The Show People, along with my friends. I will be producing three films per year. My first film will be Padi Thurai. Bala assistant Saga is directing this film. Ilayaraja is composing the music. New face Abhishek is doing the lead role and Nadodigal Anaya is pairing with him. Saga has asked me to do a role in this film but I strongly rejected this idea. My only role in this film is that of a producer.

krish244
3rd February 2010, 01:02 AM
Looks like TTLS is finally dusted for release. Don't know in which language though.

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/malayalam/top-stories/2010/twinkle-twinkle-little-star-film-020210.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
5th February 2010, 05:45 PM
"Chinna Polike" from Om Shanti.... everytime i listen to it, i just wonder why was it not by SPB. I'm sure it would have given so much nativity if it were SPB and the song would have reached more audience. Forget audience, it would have commanded my complete attention atleast. Pch.. Why Kunal Gunjawala, of all!!!!!!!

pulavar
5th February 2010, 07:58 PM
Vikatan Interview.......

'இளைஞர்களை இசை மூலமாகச் சந்திப்பேன்!''
இளையராஜாவின் புதிய திட்டம்

எப்போதும் கலகலக்கும் எம்.ஓ.பி. வைஷ்ணவா கல்லூரி வளாகம், அன்று பவ்யமும் திவ்யமுமாக நிறைந் திருந்தது. காரணம், ராஜா!

கல்லூரி விழாவுக்கு வந்திருந்தவரிடம், ''பத்மபூஷ ணுக்கு வாழ்த்துக்கள்!' என்றேன். சின்னப் புன்னகை யுடன் ''காரில் ஏறுங்க'' என்றார். கோடம்பாக்கமே தவம் இருக்க, அபூர்வமாக புன்னகைத்துக் கடக்கிற அதே ராஜா, பழைய ஞாபகங்களில் தொடங்கி இந்த நொடி வரை ஒரு நதியாக வளைந்து நெளிந்து பெருகும் மெட் டைப் போலவே அரிதான உரையாடலில் தொடங்கினார்.

''பத்மபூஷண் விருது உங்களுக்குக் கிடைத்திருப்பதில் ரொம்ப சந்தோஷம். ஆனாலும், 20 வருடங்களுக்கு முன்னாடியே கிடைச்சிருக்கணும்னு பேசிக்கிறாங்க. எப்படி உணர்றீங்க?''

''விருது கிடைத்ததில் மகிழ்ச்சி. மிகுந்த மரியாதையுடன் அதை ஏற்றுக்கொள்கிறேன். தமிழ்நாட்டுக்கும், தமிழ் இசைக்கும், தமிழ் இசைக் கலைஞர்களுக்கும் கிடைத்த உயரிய கௌரவமாகக் கருதுகிறேன்!''

''இத்தனை வருடங்களாக நாங்க இளையராஜாவைப் பார்த்த பிரமிப்பும், கொடுத்த மரியாதையும், இந்தத் தலைமுறை மாணவிகளிடமும் இருக்கு. திரையிசையில் மாபெரும் வெற்றி பெற்ற உங்களின் அடுத்த திட்டம் என்ன?''

''திட்டமிட்டு எதையும் நான் செய்யறது இல்லை. திட்டம் போட்டு நடக்கணுங்கிறது நம்ம கையிலா இருக்கு? நமக்கு விதிச்சது இல்லாமல் எதுவும் நடக்காது. 'அன்னக்கிளி' ஆரம்பிச்சு 25 படம் வரைக்கும் பிளான் பண்ணி மியூஸிக் போட்டிருக்கலாம். அப்புறம் ஆன்மிகம், தெய்வ நம்பிக்கைன்னு வந்த பின்னாடி, எல்லாமே அன்னன்னிக்கு வந்த விஷயம்தான். How to name it, Nothing but wind, திருவாசகம் எல்லாமே தானாக நிகழ்ந்ததுதான். காற்றுபோல, ஒளிபோல இசையும் பரவி யாரையாவது, எங்கேயாவது போய் அடைஞ்சுக்கிட்டே இருக்கணும். கொட்டுகிற இசை மழை யில் எங்கேயாவது, யாராவது துளிர்க்கணும்... பூக்கணும். அடையாளம் தெரியாத இந்தப் பயணத்தை இசை செய்துக்கிட்டே இருக்கணும். நொடிக்கு நொடி என்னைப் புதுப்பிச்சுக்கிட்டு இத்தனை வருஷமா இயங்கிட்டு இருக்கேன். இப்படிப்பட்ட நல்ல சூழலில் என்னை இறைவன் வைத்திருக்கும்போது, நான் நிறைவாக உணர்வது தானே நியாயம்?

நமக்குத் தெரிஞ்ச இசையை இளைஞர்களுக்குக் கொடுத்துட்டுப் போகணும்னு மட்டும் தோணுது. அதற்குச் சூழல் அமையணும். நான் எடுத்துட்டுப் போக ஒண்ணுமே இல்லை. கொடுத்துட்டுப் போகத்தான் இருக்கு. எனது அனுபவத்தைப் பகிரவும் இளைய தலைமுறைக்கு விட்டுட்டுப் போகவும் தயாரா இருக்கேன். தமிழ்நாடு முழுவதும் பயணம் செய்து இளைஞர்களை இசை மூலமா ஒன்றிணைக்கணும். பார்க்கலாம், என்ன நடக்குதுன்னு பார்க்கலாம்!''

''கொடுத்துட்டுப் போவதாக இருந்தால், அதை எந்த மாதிரி செய்யலாம்னு, அதற்கான செயல்திட்டம் என்ன?''

''உலகத்தோட ஒரு பக்கத்துல பீத்தோவன், மொஸார்ட்னு இருந்திருக்காங்க. நம்ம பக்கம் தியாகராஜ சுவாமிகள், முத்துசாமி தீட்சிதர், சியாமா சாஸ்திரி, அருணாசலக் கவிராயர், முத்துத் தாண்டவர்னு இருந்தாங்க. எல்லாமே 18-ம் நூற்றாண்டோடு முடிஞ்சுபோச்சு. அதற்குப் பிறகு இன்னொரு மொஸார்ட் வரவே இல்லை. உலகம் தோற்றுவிக்கலைன்னு அர்த்தம் கிடையாது. அந்த நிகழ்வு நடை பெறலை. புரந்தரதாசர் வரைக்கும் அவங்க பங்குக்கு எல்லாத்தையும் கொடுத்துட்டுப் போயாச்சு.

எனக்கு என்ன தோணுதுன்னா, இப்ப இருக்கிற கர்னாடக, இந்துஸ்தான், வெஸ்டர்ன் மியூஸிக்கோடு அதன் எல்லைகள் முடிஞ்சு போச்சா? இல்லைதானே! உண்மையான... இன்னும் உன்னதமான இசை எங்கேயோ இருக்கு. அந்த இசைதான் என் தேடுதலா இருக்கு. இதற்கு நான் பதில் அறியாமலும் போகலாம். ஆனா, என்னிக்காவது ஒரு நாள் இதுக்குப் பதில் கிடைக்காமல் போகாது. போய் ஊடுருவிப் பார்க்கிறவங்க கண்டுபிடிப்பாங்க. என் கையில் விதை இருக்கு. விதைக்காமல் போனால் வித்துக்கும் நஷ்டம்... உயிருக்கும் நஷ்டம். இந்த ஊரில் இருந்தே 200 பீத்தோவன், 200 தியாகராஜ சுவாமிகள் வரட்டுமே. வறுமையில் வாழ்ந்துட்டு இசை படைத்தவர் தியாகராஜ சுவாமிகள். இத்தனை தியாகராஜ சுவாமிகள் வரணும்னு சொன்னது திறமையைவெச்சுச் சொல்லலை. திறமைங்கிறது வித்வத்வம், பண்டித்துவம், அது கர்வத்தை மட்டுமே வளர்க்கும்.

என் அனுபவத்திலே நிறைய இருக்குன்னு சொல்லும்போது இதைத் தெரிஞ்சுக்க ஓர் அமைப்பு இல்லைங்கிறது என்னுடைய துரதிருஷ்டமா, நாட்டின் துரதிருஷ்டமா?''

''கலைஞனுக்குச் சமூகத்தின் மேல் அக்கறை இருக்கணும் என்கிறது ஒரு தரப்பு. அப்படி எல்லாம் இல்லை. கலைஞன் வேறு மாதிரி, அவன் தனிமையானவன்கிறது வேற தரப்பு. இரண்டில் எது சரி?''

''இரண்டு பக்கத்துக்குமே எது சரின்னு சொல்ற உரிமை கிடையாது. யாருக்கு எப்படி இஷ்டமோ அப்படி இருந்துட்டுப் போகட்டும். நான் சொல்றதையே என் உடம்பு கேட்க மாட்டேங்கிறது. அடுத்தவங்க கேட்கணும்னு நான் எதிர்பார்ப்பதில் என்ன நியாயம் இருக்கு?''

''பீத்தோவன், மொஸார்ட், பாக்னு எப்பவும் பெருமிதமா... உயர்வா பேசுவீங்க. நம்ம ஊர் இசையமைப்பாளர்களைப்பற்றி ஒண்ணும் சொன்னதே கிடையாதே?''

''இசை என்பது உன்னதமான கலை வடிவம். பீத்தோவன், பாக் போன்றவர்கள் நாம் பின்பற்ற வேண்டிய மேதைகள். நான் எனக்கு முன்னாடி ரோடு போட்டவர்களைப்பற்றித்தான் பேச முடியும். நான் ரோடு போட்டேன்னா, எனக்குப் பின்னாடி வர்றவங்க அதைப்பத்திப் பேசணும். யார் யாரு நான் போற பாதையெல்லாம் மரம் நட்டுட்டுப் போனாங்களோ, புத்தகம் வெச்சுட்டுப் போனாங்களோ, குடிக்கத் தண்ணீர் வெச்சுட்டுப் போனாங்களோ அவங்களை நான் போற்ற முடியும், வணங்க முடியும், தொட்டுக் கும்பிடவும் முடியும்.

ஆனா, எனக்குப் பின்னாடி வர்றவங்களை நான் ஃபாலோ பண்ண முடியாது, இல்லையா? எனக்குப் பின்னாடி வர்றவங்களை எனக்குத் தெரியவே இல்லை. எனக்கு முன்னாடி போனவங்களைப் பார்த்து, 'ஐயோ! இப்படியெல்லாம் பண்ணிட்டாங்களே, இப்படியெல்லாம் பண்ணிட்டாங்களே'ன்னு வியந்துகிட்டே இருக்கேன். இன்னும் அவங்க பக்கத்தில் என்னால் நெருங்க முடியலை. ஒரு சி.ஆர்.சுப்பராமன் பண்ணின 'சின்னஞ்சிறு கிளியே' போல இன்னும் யாராலும் ட்யூன் பண்ண முடியலை. அந்தப் பாட்டு ட்யூன் பண்ணி 60 வருஷம் ஆச்சு. எல்லா கர்னாடகக் கச்சேரிகளிலும் 'சின்னஞ்சிறு கிளியே' பாடறாங்க. சினிமாவில் இருந்து கர்னாடக கச்சேரிக்குப் போகிற அளவுக்கு அந்த ஆளு ட்யூன் பண்ணிட்டு 32 வயசுலயே போயிட்டார். அவரைப் போற்றாமல் வேறு யாரைப் போற்ற?

எனக்கு எஸ்.வி.வெங்கட்ராம னைத் தெரியும். பார்த்திருக்கேன். அவர் என்னைப் பாராட்டினார். நான் அவர் காலைத்தொட்டு வணங்கினேன். இந்தத் தலை முறையில் யாரைப் பாராட்ட லாம்னு நீங்களே சொல்லுங்க?''

''ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான் ஆஸ்கர் வாங்கிட்டார். அவர் மியூஸிக்பற்றி உங்க கருத்து என்ன?''

''அவருக்கு நடந்த பாராட்டு விழாவில் என் பேச்சைக் கேட்கலையா? அப்புறம் ஏன் இந்தக் கேள்வி? உலகம் அங்கீகரிச்ச பிறகு நான் யாரு? உலகத்தில் ஒருத்தன்தானே நான்! உலகத்தைவிட்டுத் தனியாவா நான் இருக்கேன்?''

'' 'அழகர்மலை' படத்தில் 'இந்த அன்னை பூமி போதும்' பாட்டு. எப்பவும் மண் சார்ந்த பிரியம்...''

''என்னங்க, கங்கையில் குளிச்சிட்டு வந்தாலும் ஏன்னு கேட்பீங்க போலிருக்கே? என் மண்ணை நான் பாடாமல் யார் பாடுவாங்க? என்னங்க இது... (சிரிப்பு...)''

''ஜெயகாந்தன் பிரவாகமா ஆரம்பிச்சு, ஒரு கட்டத்தில் எழுதினது போதும்னு நிறுத்திட்டார். அது மாதிரி எப்பவாவது இந்த மியூஸிக்கை நிறுத்திடணும்னு தோணியிருக்கா?''

''இப்பவும் ஒரு பாட்டு முடிஞ்சதும் மியூஸிக்கை நிறுத்திடுவேனே. (சிரிப்பு) அது ஜெயகாந்தனோட முடிவு. அவர் அவர்தான். நான் நான்தான். அவர் முடிவு பண்ணி அவர் சொன்னாரு. அதே முடிவை நான் சொல்லணும்னு நீங்க எதிர்பார்த்தா எப்படி?''

''இறைவனிடம் சரண் அடைய எப்பவும் விருப்பப்படுகிறவர் நீங்கள். ஆனாலும், நீங்கள் ஈகோ உடையவர், அதிக இறுக்க மானவர்னு உங்களைப்பற்றிப் பேச்சிருக்கு. இந்த இரண்டு அம்சங்களுக்கும் முரண்பாடு காணப்படவில்லையா?''

''உங்களுக்கு இருக்கிற ஈகோவால்தானே இந்தக் கேள்வியையே கேட்க முடியுது. இந்தக் கேள்வியே உங்களுக்கு இருக்கிற ஈகோவைக் காட்டுதே தவிர, பண்பைக் காட்டலை. இருக்கட்டும். ஈகோ இல்லா மல் நான் எப்படி வேலை செய்ய? உங்களுக்கு ஏன் ஈகோ இருக்குன்னு ஈகோ இல்லாத ஆளுதானே கேட்கணும்? அப்படிக் கேட்டால், 'உங்களை மாதிரி ஆக முடியலை சாமி!'ன்னு சொல்வேன். சரியாகச் சொன்னால், 'உன்னை முதல்ல பார்த்துட்டு வாய்யா... போய்யா!'ன்னு சொல்லணும்... சொல்லவா!'' (மீண்டும் சிரிப்பு)

''' 'பா' ஹிந்திப் படத்தில் உங்க மியூஸிக்பற்றி அமிதாப் அவரோட ப்ளாக்கில் உருகி எழுதியிருந்தாரே..?''

'' 'பா' படத்துக்காகப் பாடும்போது அவரை அதே மேக்-அப்போடு பாடவெச்சேன். இது அமிதாப் பாடுகிற பாட்டு இல்லை. அந்தக் குறையுடைய கேரக்டர் பாடுகிற பாட்டு என்பதால் அப்படிச் செய்தேன். அதை அமிதாப் ரொம்பவும் ரசித்தார். என் வீட்டைப் பார்த்துவிட்டு 'ஏதோ புனித யாத்திரைக்கு வந்த மாதிரி இருக்கு'ன்னு சொன்னார். ஏதோ ஒண்ணு அவரை அப்படிப் பார்க்கவெச்சிருக்கு. கார்த்திக் ராஜா, அமிதாப்புக்கு ரொம்ப ஃப்ரெண்ட். எப்ப வந்தாலும் அவனுக்கு போன் செய்துவிட்டு வருவார். அமிதாப் தன்னு டைய அப்பாவின் கவிதைகளுக்கு கார்த்திக்கை ட்யூன் போடச் சொல்லிக் கொண்டுபோயிருக்கார். நானும் அந்த 'ப்ளாக்' படிச்சேன். பக்குவப்பட்ட மனசு. சொல்ல நினைச்சுச் சொல்லியிருக்கார்.''

''உங்க குடும்பத்திலேயே கார்த்திக், யுவன், பவதாரிணின்னு மூணு பேர். அவங்க இசைத் திறமைபற்றி உங்கள் அபிப்ராயம் என்ன?''

''நான் அதைப்பத்தி கருத்துச் சொல்றது சரியாக இருக்காது. உலகம் பார்த்திருக்கு. உலகமே முடிவு பண்ணட்டும். என்னுடைய சர்ட்டிஃபிகேட் எதுக்கு? நான் அவங்களோட தகப்பன். அவங்க வளர்ச்சியைப் பார்த்துச் சந்தோஷப்படலாம். அவங்க இசை, பாட்டுபற்றி அபிப்ராயம் கேட்டப்ப, அவங்ககிட்டே அதைப்பற்றிச் சொல்லியிருக்கேன். அவங்க குழந்தையா இருந்தபோது அவங்களுக்காக நேரம்கூட ஒதுக்கியதில்லை. இந்த அளவுக்கு அவங்க வளர்ந்ததுக்கு அவங்களேதான் காரணம்!''

writeface
5th February 2010, 11:15 PM
"உலகம் அங்கீகரிச்ச பிறகு நான் யாரு? உலகத்தில் ஒருத்தன்தானே நான்! உலகத்தைவிட்டுத் தனியாவா நான் இருக்கேன்?''

appadi pOdunga!

Sanjeevi
5th February 2010, 11:20 PM
உண்மையை சொல்லனும்னா நான் ராஜாகிட்ட இருக்குற அந்த ஈகோவை ரசிச்சுக்கிட்டு தான் இருக்குறேன். என்ன ஒரு ஈகோ!

அது அவர் கிட்ட இருக்குற அசைக்க முடியாத தன்னம்பிக்கையுனால வந்ததா இருக்கலாம், இல்ல இந்த உலகம் என்னடா நான் போடுறதுதாண்டா மியுசிக்கு அப்படின்னு, இல்ல இந்த உலகம் இன்னும் என் மியுசிக்க சரியாய்அங்கீகரிக்குற அளவுக்கு வளரலை அப்படின்னா கூட இருக்கலாம்

irir123
6th February 2010, 12:24 AM
sanjeevi - this 'ego' thingy is what drives everything, from society to industry - if you dont have it, then you become redundant - the problem i see is ppl focussing on this aspect of IR, but then it is IR himself with his 'spiritual' talks drew ppl's attention to that kind of talk! so he himself has to blame for part of it -adhu oru pakkam

OTOH, 'naan romba panivaa nadakka try panraen' - appadeennu sonnaa oduney, 'aahaa andha pulla evvalavu adakkam' appdeennu paaraattuvaanga

IR did not have time for anything other than music - so dedicated was he to his passion/love for his profession/ chosen path - that being the case, andha eedupaatai paarthu inspire aagaamal, motta mandaikkum muzhangaalukkum mudichhu podum aasaamigal niraiyaa per

to date, i have not come across a single journalist/ magazine that explores in-depth his musical output and instead focus on idiotic side-issues - avar kettaarey oru kelvi "if i bathe in ganges, you wud ask me why i did so ?" - ROTFL!!

as i said in another thread on Kamal, 99% of journalists in India are unadulterated, malicious morons with no idea/clue of what to write and what not to! almost all of them come from a heritage whose cultural attributes included sitting around in front of a home/house (veettu thinnai) playing cards and gossipping abt the chinna veedu of a local pannaiyaar/periya manushar than doing anything useful in life - such an attitude is wired in their genes, you cant change them - they simply dont know the difference between 'kalai' and 'kuckoos'

tvsankar
6th February 2010, 12:37 AM
irir123,
well said...

Oruvarai interview seivadhu endral,

Avarudiaya vetrigal. experiences , kadandhu vandha paadhai
ipadi ellam theirndhu kondu kelvi kaetka vendum.

Enaku theirndhu - Abroad il , idhai sariyaga seivadhu pola thonugiradhu..

Ingae, either in TV or magazine,

yar endrae theiryadhu....

Music director - idhu matum therigiradhu.

hahhahahaha.. IlaiyaRaja - idhu romba nalla theriyudhu.......

TV show ilum, old people - endha thuraiyaga irundhalum,

interview seiyum , indha kalathu youngsters.....

romba easya, poi, poi ya oru expressions....

kelvi...

kodumai...

Interview seiya pattavarin - Achievements , adhai avar
epadi seidhar... enna feel panrar

ipadi kelvi kaeka vendiyadhu dhanae.....

Arivu illamal kelvi....
idhil IR mel complaint......... kodumai......

irir123
6th February 2010, 12:40 AM
"Enaku theirndhu - Abroad il , idhai sariyaga seivadhu pola thonugiradhu."

to an extent its true - but while there are classy magazines/journals, there are tons of cheap magazines that pander to the prurient - on a comparative scale, we have more of the latter than the former, and many of the latter masquerade as the former

Sanjeevi
6th February 2010, 12:45 AM
irir123, again you did super post :)

jaiganes
6th February 2010, 02:00 AM
ellaa payalukkum paatulaye badhil irukku

'poda poda punnaakku
podaadhe thappukanakku'

Plum
6th February 2010, 09:31 AM
Regarding ganges, it can be spun thus
"By talking of ganges cleansing one's sins, ir has bowed to sanatna dharma(or whatever, I am not well informed) and is reiterating the regressive principles of manuwad, very unbecoming and socially irresponsible of such a succesful and iconic figure" etc :-)
(Shaju, Charu must pay me if they pick this idea and write a defamatory article on IR)

ramk1
6th February 2010, 06:10 PM
The only thing that could stop all this crap about his personality is the continous flow of music from him. He has the divine weapon on his hands, and i dunno why he is not using that as he used to.

eagle
8th February 2010, 08:46 AM
The only thing that could stop all this crap about his personality is the continous flow of music from him. He has the divine weapon on his hands, and i dunno why he is not using that as he used to.

To some knowledgeable people and in his opinion he is continuing to make good compositions... i am at a loss why that escapes me :roll:

I would say because of the fact that commercially most of movies he associated with of late is bombed at the box office and general change in the trend in music which obviously affecting our taste are the reasons why we may fail to see them.

The eye opener in my case was the song from "athu oru kanaa kaalam" "kaatu vazhi pora ponne" i never paid attention to the song when it was released but when i heard instrumental version of it in "paa" i was speechless... this is something really beautiful composition which beats other songs by a mile.. but still you see to most of the people its not in tune with current trend...

There is a revival movement for any great art form i am sure its there for Raaja's music... the current trend songs dont have a shelf life beyond even couple of days.

app_engine
12th February 2010, 12:22 AM
Can expect some melodies for this movie (before Apr 14) :
http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/movies/article104947.ece

raja_fan
12th February 2010, 12:06 PM
I am afraid Satyan Anthikad has exhausted all his stuff..his recent films were all monotonous ( at least in narration and characterization ) and predictability has come in a lot.
This happens to all directors at some point of time..but who delays it longer is the one who stands out..like BR, MR etc..

rajaalltheway
12th February 2010, 06:41 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/54411.html

Sureshs65
12th February 2010, 11:58 PM
raja_fan,

I thought Sathyan achieved that nirvana quite some time back. Atleast the last half dozen movies of his which I saw were almost similar in characterization and treatment.

This reminds me of P G Wodehouse and his statement against his critics. Writing the preface to one of the Psmith novels, Wodehouse said something like this, "For my earlier book, the critics said it was the same Wodehouse story with different characters. They can't say that for this book. This is the same story with the same characters!!!" (He has already written a Psmith book.) Sathyan is somewhere close to that.

Plum
13th February 2010, 08:10 AM
Suresh you pgw also?

Btw, that was the preface to summer lightning. Blandings castle

Sureshs65
13th February 2010, 03:53 PM
Plum,

Yes. I do but has been some time now. Now I remember that it was Blandings Castle :) There was one Psmith in Blandings as well right?

pulavar
18th February 2010, 05:23 PM
Source VIKATAN

'சென்னைக்கு வந்திருக்கவே மாட்டேன்!''
திருமாவிடம் நெகிழ்ந்த ராஜா!

இசைஞானியும் இளஞ் சிறுத்தையும் சந்தித்தார்கள் என்ற தகவல் ஆச்சர்யமாகத்தான் இருந்தது. அரசியல் என்றால் ஓடக்கூடியவர் இளையராஜா. இசைக் கோவைகளுக்கும் திருமாவளவனுக்கும் ரொம்பவே தூரம். ஆனாலும் அந்தச் சந்திப்பு உருக்கமானதாகவே அமைந்தது!

திருமாவளவன் இதுவரை இளையராஜாவை நேரில் சந்தித்ததே இல்லை. பத்மபூஷண் விருது ராஜாவை நோக்கி இந்த ஆண்டு வந்து சேர்ந்ததும், அவரைச் சந்தித்து வாழ்த்துச் சொல்ல விரும்பி இருக்கிறார். உடனே வரச் சொல்லி அழைப்பு வந்ததும் சிறுத்தை கிளம்பியிருக்கிறது. உடன் கவிஞர் அறிவுமதியும்! இசைமயமான அந்தத் தருணத்தில் என்ன நடந்தது? திருமாவளவன் சொல்கிறார்...

''ஓராண்டுக்கு முன், 'இசையுலகின் அசைக்க முடியாத சக்ரவர்த்தியாக இருக்கிற இளையராஜா உலகப் புகழை அடைந்துவிட்டார். ஆனால், அவருக்கு இந்திய அரசாங்கம் எந்த விருதும் இதுவரை தரவில்லை. திட்டமிட்டு அவரைப் புறக்கணிக்கிறார்கள்' என்று விடுதலைச் சிறுத்தைகளின் செயற்குழுவில் நாங்கள் ஒரு தீர்மானம் போட்டோம். இம்முறை பத்மபூஷண் விருது அவருக்குக் கிடைத்திருப் பதால் பாராட்டச் சென்றேன். மாலை போட்டேன். மறுத்தார். 'எங்களுக்காக ஏற்றுக்கொள்ளுங்கள்... இது காலம் கடந்த விருதுதான் என்றாலும், வாழ்த்துவது எங்கள் கடமையல்லவா?' என்றேன். சிரித்தபடியே ராஜா, 'சாதிக்காகவா விருது கொடுப்பான்? சாதிச்சதுக்காகத்தானே தருவார்கள். காலத்தால் கிடைத்த விருது, காலம் கடந்த விருது என்றெல்லாம் எதுவும் இல்லை. தருணம் ஏற்பட்டால், பரிசுகள் கிடைக்கும். உள்ளே இருக்கும் குஞ்சுக்குச் சிறகு முளைத்தால், முட்டையில் விரிசல் விழும். அதுதான் கோழியின் தருணம். அது மாதிரி இப்போது எனக்குப் பரிசு கிடைக்கும் தருணம்' என்ற மனநிலையில் இருந்தார்.

'விடுதலைச் சிறுத்தைகள் என்று பெயர் வெச்சிருக்கீங்களே... எதில் இருந்து விடுதலை அடையப்போறீங்க? எதில் இருந்தாவது விடுதலை அடைய முடியுமா?' என்று அவர் கேட்டபோது என்னால் உடனே பதில் அளிக்க முடியவில்லை. 'அகந்தையில் இருந்து விடுதலை அடைய முடியுமா என்று கேட்கிறீர்களா?' என்றேன். அதற்கு அவர் சிரித்தார். 'இது உங்களுடைய கொள்கையா?' என்று கிண்டலடித்தவர், தன்னுடைய ஆரம்ப கால அரசியல் வாழ்க்கையைச் சொல்ல ஆரம்பித்தார்.

'சின்ன வயசிலயே எனக்குக் கட்சி, அரசியல், உலகம், பிரச்னைகள் எல்லாமே தெரிய ஆரம்பிச்சது. ஏன்னா, கம்யூனிஸ்ட் கட்சியில் தொடர்பு இருந்தது. ஆனா, இசை ஆர்வம் அதைவிட அதிகமா இருந் தது. ஏதோ ஒரு பொருளை வித்து 400 ரூபாய் பணத்தை என்னோட அம்மா கொடுத்தாங்க. அதை வெச்சுக்கிட்டுதான் சென்னைக்கு வந்தேன். இன்றைக்கு இருக்கிற இசை அனுபவம் அன்றைக்கு இருந்தா, நிச்சயமா சென்னைக்கு வந்திருக்கவே மாட்டேன்!' என்று சிரித்தார்.

'ஆனால், இன்று இசையுலகத்தை ஆளும் ஆளுமை நீங்கள்தான்!' என்றேன் நான். 'நிலம் தாழ்ந்ததாக இருப்பதால் நீர் அதன் மீது ஓடுகிறது. எனவே, என் மீதுதான் நீர் ஓடுகிறது என்று நிலம் பெருமைப்பட முடியுமா? அதுபோல இசை, என்னைத் தேர்ந்தெடுத்து என் மீது ஒடுகிறது. அவ்வளவுதான். அதற்காக இசை அறிவு என்னிடம் அதிகமாக இருக்கிறது என்று அர்த்தம் அல்ல. இசை என்னும் புள்ளியை நோக்கி நான் நாட்டம் செலுத்தினேன். அது என்னைத் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தது. நீங்கள் உங்களது நாட்டத்தை அரசியலில் செலுத்தினீர்கள். அரசியல் அறிவு உங்களைத் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தது.' என்று தத்துவ விளக்கங்களாகவே சொல்லிக்கொண்டே போனார்.

அதன் பிறகு திருக்குறளின் அகர முதல எழுத்தெல்லாம்... தொடங்கி பல முக்கியமான குறள்களுக்கெல்லாம் விளக்கங்கள் சொல்ல ஆரம்பித்து, இதே வடிவத்தில் தான் எழுதிய குறள் வெண்பாக்களைச் சொல்ல ஆரம்பித்தார். தான் எழுதிய அத்தனை பாடல்களையும் அவர் மனப்பாடமாக வைத்திருந்தார். அதைவிட, ஒரு சம்ஸ்கிருதப் பாடலைக் கடகடவென ஒப்பித்தார். அது அவரே எழுதிய பாடல். 'நான் என்னுடைய கடமையை, எனக்குத் தெரிந்ததைச் செய்கிறேன். அதனால், யார் என்னைப் புகழ்ந்தாலும் அதை நான் பெரிதாக நினைப்பது இல்லை. அதைப் பார்த்துத்தான் சிலர் என்னைக் கர்வம் பிடித்தவன் என்கிறார்கள்' என்று விளக்கம் அளித்தார்.

அவரது புத்தகப் படிப்பு குறித்துக் கேட்டேன். 'நான் எதுவும் படிக்கிறது இல்லை. அதுக்கு நேரமும் இல்லை. அதில் நாட்டமும் இல்லை' என்று அவர் சொன்னது ஆச்சர்யமாக இருந்தது. அவரை இசையறிஞர், சினிமா இசை யமைப்பாளர் என்றெல்லாம் பார்க்க முடியவில்லை. இசைஞானி என்று கலைஞர் சூட்டிய பட்டம்தான் பொருத்தமானது. அதுவும் ஞானி என்று சொல்வது தான் முழு பொருத்தம். தமிழ்ப் புலமை, பாண்டித்தியம், மொழி அறிவு, பாடல் புனையும் ஆற்றல்... இப்படி எத்தனையோ தனித் திறமைகள்கொண்டவராக அவர் இருப்பதை உணர முடிந்தது.

இப்படிப்பட்ட மனிதரை இத்தனை ஆண்டுகளாகச் சந்திக்க முடியாமல் இருந்துவிட்டேனே என்ற வருத்தம் எனக்கு மிஞ்சியது. புறப்படும்போது, 'எங்களுக்கு உங்களது வழிகாட்டுதல் வேண்டும்' என்று கேட்டோம். 'நல்லதையே செய்யுங்கள்' என்று சொன்னார். அப்படியே ஆகட்டும் என்று வாக்குறுதி கொடுத்துவிட்டு வந்தேன்'' என்று முடித்தார் திருமாவளவன்.

சிறுத்தையின்ஆர்வத்தைப் பார்த்தால் இனி, அடிக்கடி ராஜாவைச் சந்திக்கும்போல!

raja_fan
19th February 2010, 12:12 PM
Happy to see IR not falling in to the caste trap laid by such leaders !
Well done Raja ! :)

pulavar
19th February 2010, 05:02 PM
[tscii:a6c9b3c2a9]சாருவோடு ஒரு நேர்காணல்

"இளையராஜாவை விட யுவன் ஷங்கர்ராஜா பல மடங்கு இசை ரசனையுள்ளவர். ‘ புதுப்பேட்டை ’ யில் அவர் கொடுத்திருக்கும் இசை பெரிய சிம்பொனி மாதிரி இருக்கிறது. மேற்கத்திய இசையில் ரொம்பவும் ஆழமான ரசனை உள்ளவனால் மட்டுமே இதைச் செய்ய முடியும். அதே போல ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான் ‘ குரு ’ படத்திற்குப் போட்டிருப்பதும் உயர்தரமான இசை என்று சொல்ல முடியும். நான் எழுதிய இசைக் கட்டுரைகள் ‘ கலகம் காதல் இசை ’ என்று தொகுக்கப்பட்டு சமீபத்தில் ஒரு புத்தகமாக வந்திருக்கிறது. இதுதான் எனக்கும் இசைக்கும் உள்ள உறவை வெளிப்படுத்தும் சான்று. இளையராஜா பற்றி இன்னும் சொல்ல வேண்டும் என்றால் அவருக்கும் மேலாகச் சென்று இசையில் சாதனை செய்தவர்கள் சுமாராக பதினைந்து பேரையும் மறந்துவிட்டு , மறுத்துவிட்டு இவர் இருப்பது நன்றி கெட்டதனம். ஒருவன் தன்னை இசைஞானி என்று கூப்பிட்டால் , எனக்கு முன்னால் பதினைந்து ஞானிகள் இருந்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்று தன்னடக்கத்துடன் அவர் சொல்லியிருக்க வேண்டும்."

http://pinnaveenathuvam.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/சாருவோடு-ஒரு-நேர்காணல்/

என்ன கொடுமை சரவணா இது ???[/tscii:a6c9b3c2a9]

jaiganes
19th February 2010, 08:39 PM
[tscii:ed9b0ecc79]சாருவோடு ஒரு நேர்காணல்

"இளையராஜாவை விட யுவன் ஷங்கர்ராஜா பல மடங்கு இசை ரசனையுள்ளவர். ‘ புதுப்பேட்டை ’ யில் அவர் கொடுத்திருக்கும் இசை பெரிய சிம்பொனி மாதிரி இருக்கிறது. மேற்கத்திய இசையில் ரொம்பவும் ஆழமான ரசனை உள்ளவனால் மட்டுமே இதைச் செய்ய முடியும். அதே போல ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான் ‘ குரு ’ படத்திற்குப் போட்டிருப்பதும் உயர்தரமான இசை என்று சொல்ல முடியும். நான் எழுதிய இசைக் கட்டுரைகள் ‘ கலகம் காதல் இசை ’ என்று தொகுக்கப்பட்டு சமீபத்தில் ஒரு புத்தகமாக வந்திருக்கிறது. இதுதான் எனக்கும் இசைக்கும் உள்ள உறவை வெளிப்படுத்தும் சான்று. இளையராஜா பற்றி இன்னும் சொல்ல வேண்டும் என்றால் அவருக்கும் மேலாகச் சென்று இசையில் சாதனை செய்தவர்கள் சுமாராக பதினைந்து பேரையும் மறந்துவிட்டு , மறுத்துவிட்டு இவர் இருப்பது நன்றி கெட்டதனம். ஒருவன் தன்னை இசைஞானி என்று கூப்பிட்டால் , எனக்கு முன்னால் பதினைந்து ஞானிகள் இருந்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்று தன்னடக்கத்துடன் அவர் சொல்லியிருக்க வேண்டும்."

http://pinnaveenathuvam.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/சாருவோடு-ஒரு-நேர்காணல்/

என்ன கொடுமை சரவணா இது ???[/tscii:ed9b0ecc79]

pulavarE. idhu engalukku romba pazhagi poachu.
Aduththu paithiyathodu paththu naal appdinnu oru serieslayum idhe katturai varum.
Freeya vidunga.

Saagar
20th February 2010, 01:38 PM
[tscii:16c83e3b02]
raja_fan,

I thought Sathyan achieved that nirvana quite some time back. Atleast the last half dozen movies of his which I saw were almost similar in characterization and treatment.

This reminds me of P G Wodehouse and his statement against his critics. Writing the preface to one of the Psmith novels, Wodehouse said something like this, "For my earlier book, the critics said it was the same Wodehouse story with different characters. They can't say that for this book. This is the same story with the same characters!!!" (He has already written a Psmith book.) Sathyan is somewhere close to that.

You could not have put it better!

A perspectiveon Sathyan.
Sathyan is a pioneer in introducing believable stories with subtle performances, socially relevant themes , targeting family audiences, laced with humour that is never of the not over the top kind. He has initially done this in the company of Srinivasan(the script writer of most of his films). The target audience for his films are not the college going or tech- freak ones. He is even today considered the number 1 director in Malayalam & the # 3 in terms of a Brand on box office draw, after Mammootty & Mohan lal – His target audience being the family & Ladies. Even today, Sathyan’s films are the first choice for a middle class family – something they would go to blindfolded. In a way, he has been a trendsetter for these kind of ilms in Malayalam – with many like Fazil,Kamal,Srinivasan,Priyadarshan etc. following this model.

Recently, I had watched an interview of Mohanlal in a Channel, where he interviewed his mother. While explaining, what she disliked & what she liked, she mentioned – “I like u doing those Sathyan films - & the songs like in Innathe Chintha vishayam - Manassiloru poo maala – I enjoy them a lot”. Mind u – that’s not the best picuturisation or the best of Sathyan films recently – That’s the Sathyan hold on the Lady audiences tastes! In fact I find a similar echo from many of the women.

Every director ultimately belongs to a particular league or format – the canvas or segment targeted may be different. Sathyan is , in my opinion, in the league of Hrishikesh Mukherjee or Basu Chatterjee, who produced one of the most believable films, somewhere connecting to the life of a middle class or common man. In Hindi films too, the 70’s period of Hrishikesh/Basu is probably the golden period. After losing way, they are now connecting back with some good films/ film makers in between. Sathyan , now into his 50th film , somehow has been able to sustain the charm & sway over audiences, consistently delivering box office success with simple themes even after 30+ years in films.
[/tscii:16c83e3b02]

Saagar
20th February 2010, 01:56 PM
A related facet about Sathyan is his consistency in what he beleives- he does not change even the artistes he is comfortable working with.

In every interview he keeps saying, "there are 3 people I deeply revere, two are Yesudas & Ilaiyaraaja, whom I consider fortunate enough to be born with in the same era, Ilaiyaraaja whom I consider equally fortunate to be able to also work with, watching the music getting to form (One example he quotes frequently for this - is the Melleyonnu song of Manssinakkare, which he says was unbeleivaly the same as what he was looking for, when he explained to IR) & the 3rd is Mohan lal whom I enjoy directing , watching his effortlessness & spontainety".

A trivia- although he started off as a lyricist for 10 years, having written more than 100 songs before learning & directing films, he has not written a song for IR so far. Looking at his track record at songs, that would be something to look out for. That's also a factor why songs in his films stand out.

As a film director, he has been writing his own story / dialogues etc. apart from directing his own scripts probably since Manasinakkare. Earlier, when he teamed up with Srinivasan for the story/dialogues, the films were laugh riots.
Alone, the comedy factor is definitely lower. The news is he is teaming up with Srinivasan for the next- a sequel to Sandesham, that was a superb film.

Sureshs65
20th February 2010, 02:46 PM
Saagar,

Welcome back :) We were missing you when we were discussing Raja of 80s, 90s and 2000s in Malayalam. That is a very nice perspective on Sathyan.

I have only watched movies of Sathyan which Raja has given music to. As you say the target audience is very clear in all the movies, be it KKS, Innathe Chinta Vishayam, Vinodayatra, Rasathantram etc. (Yet to watch Bhagyadevatha.) My wife also likes these movies but says "they are good, but there is nothing much in them." (She is used to Tamil movies :D ) Anyway, I think that is Sathyan's forte, a glimpse of the rural life with age old values that keep pulling the audience in. Raja understands that and tailors his music accordingly. I don't think any of the Sathyan - Raja combination was a letdown in terms of music. As you say, even 'Innate Chinta Vishayam', songs of which I thought were not major hits, have actually reached lot of people. Lot of people love the 'kandu kandu kaaka kuyile' song and it fetched some award to M G Sreekumar as well.

app_engine
20th February 2010, 11:16 PM
digression

The best film by Sathyan (among those I watched) is 'nAdOdikkAtRu' by many many miles :-)

And the best song ever for his films, IMSO, is 'vaishAka sandhyE' (by Shyam, both KJY & KSC versions) :-)

end-digression

Sureshs65
21st February 2010, 12:24 AM
app,

Continuing the dig. If I remember right, you were the one who posted the 'vaishaka sandhye' quite some time back. I downloaded it then and listen to it often. A lovely song and a very natural picturisation. Shobana is so very good and natural in this song. Somehow the Tamil version of the song did not appeal to me as much as the Mal version.

Since it is a dig, another song in which the heroine is very charming and natural is 'sharadindu malardeepa' song. Someone in youtube wrote, how can one not fall in love with Shoba after seeing this song. Fully agree with that person :)

/ end dig

krish244
22nd February 2010, 09:46 AM
Dont recollect if this movie is included in IR's malayalam new movies:

"Alexander the great", malayalam movie with Mohanlal in lead has music by IR. Shooting has resumed, it seems. BTW, its not a historical movie.

http://malayalam.galatta.com/entertainment/malayalam/livewire/id/Alexander_the_Great_resumes_shooting_35855.html

thanks,

Krishnan

irir123
23rd February 2010, 07:41 PM
[tscii:db54543f46]Breaking news! "All About Jazz" publishes review of Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja's music for PAA and KERALAVERMA PAZHASSI RAAJA....

Renowned jazz music critic/columnist Chris Slawecki reviews/critiques Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja's recent best-selling album "PAA" for Allaboutjazz.com, the web's premier resource for jazz music.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=35635&pg=4

Snippets:

'the bright and colorful "Mudhi Mudhi Ittefaq Se," the sound of internationally-contemporary jazz—jazz that sounds at home in any nation—painted in colorful strokes behind a female vocalist who chases its light melody the way that a kitten chases a kite tail'

Enjoy!!

PS: since Chris Slawecki is essentially a jazz music critic, it would be unfair to expect him to write about the nuances of Indian classical music elements used by IR in either of these albums - plus, the slot(s) given for reviews of albums is/are limited - so, pls bear in mind, these factors while reading the reviews[/tscii:db54543f46]

Sureshs65
23rd February 2010, 10:27 PM
irir123,

:notworthy: :thumbsup: :clap:

No words to express our gratitude to you for taking it this far in a single minded fashion. The reviewer knows his music, that is something I can definitely say. It is gratifying to note that keen western ears are able to 'get' what Raja is trying to do. (As you say they may not know Indian classical music much but seem to understand what is being done.) Excellent review and that too from a top magazine.

Once more, hats off to you for all your efforts.

irir123
23rd February 2010, 10:44 PM
irir123,

:notworthy: :thumbsup: :clap:

No words to express our gratitude to you for taking it this far in a single minded fashion. The reviewer knows his music, that is something I can definitely say. It is gratifying to note that keen western ears are able to 'get' what Raja is trying to do. (As you say they may not know Indian classical music much but seem to understand what is being done.) Excellent review and that too from a top magazine.

Once more, hats off to you for all your efforts.

From the evergreen classic Shawshank Redemption "Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together." - Vincent Van Gogh

my humble, tiny contribution to this genius!

eagle
23rd February 2010, 10:50 PM
irir123,
You are actually doing what every Raaja fan wants to do... that is propagating his music across boundaries... (and back of mind always wondering why he is not a icon of music in the global arena) the day is not far off when the world realizes the genius of Raaja thanks to people like you.. Hats off!!!

irir123
23rd February 2010, 11:40 PM
irir123,
You are actually doing what every Raaja fan wants to do... that is propagating his music across boundaries... (and back of mind always wondering why he is not a icon of music in the global arena) the day is not far off when the world realizes the genius of Raaja thanks to people like you.. Hats off!!!

eagle sir - first, if you are a true fan, start buying his original CDs (if you are not already doing so), second, one man cannot do everything, its upto IR to take this up further by getting himself labels that will help make his CDs available readily/easily online

even now, he is not in anyway an icon in the world arena - he does not have to be - its just my little effort to get some review and it worked thats all

eagle
24th February 2010, 12:06 AM
I have been buying his original CD's and LP's and EP's... and i have a good collection and intend to buy even more as and when i find them...

But honestly i have to admit what forced to me to buy original CD's is my investment in a audio setup..i always had a good MP3 collection and never felt guilty about it....if some fan wants to listen to his his old songs and if he is going to listen to them only using an ipod or some gadget like that i dont want to blame him....of course this is strictly my personal opinion...

And coming to Raaja recognized as an icon in the world music... if that is not the purpose of propagating his music that i wonder what else would be... notified and appreciated by some critic is to me is not a big thing... cos starting from Michael Townsend to Paul Marriat to MASSIMO SIMONINI knowledgeable people have appreciated this genius...

The ultimate honor for this man would be he recognized as a living legend...an icon...nothing less than that.. your effort also in a way contributing to that...

Bala (Karthik)
24th February 2010, 12:12 AM
Madhan :notworthy: again

Sanjeevi
24th February 2010, 12:14 AM
Seven Steps to Soul :clap: :clap:

[tscii:747cc2619b]Breaking news! "All About Jazz" publishes review of Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja's music for PAA and KERALAVERMA PAZHASSI RAAJA....

Renowned jazz music critic/columnist Chris Slawecki reviews/critiques Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja's recent best-selling album "PAA" for Allaboutjazz.com, the web's premier resource for jazz music.

Snippets:

'the bright and colorful "Mudhi Mudhi Ittefaq Se," the sound of internationally-contemporary jazz—jazz that sounds at home in any nation—painted in colorful strokes behind a female vocalist who chases its light melody the way that a kitten chases a kite tail'

Enjoy!!

PS: since Chris Slawecki is essentially a jazz music critic, it would be unfair to expect him to write about the nuances of Indian classical music elements used by IR in either of these albums - plus, the slot(s) given for reviews of albums is/are limited - so, pls bear in mind, these factors while reading the reviews[/tscii:747cc2619b]

irir3 :notworthy:

irir123
24th February 2010, 12:21 AM
Madhan :notworthy: again

Bala sir - ungalukku oru kosuru news - an independent french filmmaker is right now watching/reviewing 'Hey Ram' - intended for IR's BGM, but am sure she wud actually end up taking notice of the brilliant filmmaking besides the music!

will give updates later

Bala (Karthik)
24th February 2010, 12:31 AM
:cool2: So this must be the second piece of good news you'd promised us :)

jaiganes
24th February 2010, 12:49 AM
I would encourage ppl here to visit PFC and check out the piece written by Tushar on end credits and provide your thoughts about some wonderful end credits of films done by Raaja.

jaiganes
24th February 2010, 12:53 AM
http://passionforcinema.com/thats-all-folks-giving-credits-where-its-due/

irir123
24th February 2010, 01:24 AM
:cool2: So this must be the second piece of good news you'd promised us :)

several pieces of news in the offing - but am keeping my fingers crossed, before anything actually happens!

raja_fan
24th February 2010, 06:34 AM
irir123,

You are simbly greatttt !
Awaiting big big news ! God bless you !

natha1729
24th February 2010, 10:03 AM
raja_fan

are you simply saying simbly or only simbly trying to say simply? it is NOT simble to simbly be simply. you can be simble if you choose to but very difficult to be simple unless you are simbly gandhiji reborn. but, i simbly like you simble excitement about the pimble of the music composer who is not causing any more dimbles since ambili ammamma became simply chandamama, if you see the simble yet no so simple point i am trying to make here.

raajarasigan
24th February 2010, 11:49 AM
[tscii:085fe2004e]Breaking news! "All About Jazz" publishes review of Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja's music for PAA and KERALAVERMA PAZHASSI RAAJA....

Snippets:

Enjoy!!

PS: since Chris Slawecki is essentially a jazz music critic, it would be unfair to expect him to write about the nuances of Indian classical music elements used by IR in either of these albums - plus, the slot(s) given for reviews of albums is/are limited - so, pls bear in mind, these factors while reading the reviews[/tscii:085fe2004e]

irir123 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy: thanks a ton!!!

raajarasigan
24th February 2010, 12:06 PM
raja_fan

are you simply saying simbly or only simbly trying to say simply? it is NOT simble to simbly be simply. you can be simble if you choose to but very difficult to be simple unless you are simbly gandhiji reborn. but, i simbly like you simble excitement about the pimble of the music composer who is not causing any more dimbles since ambili ammamma became simply chandamama, if you see the simble yet no so simple point i am trying to make here.
<dig>
onniyum puriyala.. :roll:

natha1729,

neenga visu fana...
<End Dig>

Plum
24th February 2010, 12:57 PM
irir123=Madhan-A? Aha! idhu theriyAma moonu dhadavai ticket vAngittEnE? :lol:

Madhan, ipponnu illai, pala varusham munbu tfmpage-la-yE unga single-minded determination to spread Raja's music paarthu viyandhirukkEn. Once nInga, enakku oru task kuduthInga - I had just moved to Hyderabad, and you asked me to find something in some obscure library in Hyderabad(Raja related). somberithanathula matrum mozhi prachnainAla choicela vuttutten. naanlaam adhai kooda paNNalai.(Think you were in Goa then).
I will never call myself a Raja fan again - ungala maadhirpattavanga needuzhi vaazhaNum, Raja fan-nu sollikka thagudhi ungalai maadhirpattavangalukku dhAn irukku.

thumburu
24th February 2010, 02:09 PM
irir123=Madhan-A? Aha! idhu theriyAma moonu dhadavai ticket vAngittEnE? :lol:

Madhan, ipponnu illai, pala varusham munbu tfmpage-la-yE unga single-minded determination to spread Raja's music paarthu viyandhirukkEn. Once nInga, enakku oru task kuduthInga - I had just moved to Hyderabad, and you asked me to find something in some obscure library in Hyderabad(Raja related). somberithanathula matrum mozhi prachnainAla choicela vuttutten. naanlaam adhai kooda paNNalai.(Think you were in Goa then).
I will never call myself a Raja fan again - ungala maadhirpattavanga needuzhi vaazhaNum, Raja fan-nu sollikka thagudhi ungalai maadhirpattavangalukku dhAn irukku.

தங்களின் பூர்வாஷ்ரம பெயர் என்னவோ ?

Bala (Karthik)
24th February 2010, 03:53 PM
raja_fan

<dig>
onniyum puriyala.. :roll:

natha1729,

neenga visu fana...
<End Dig>
Vekka padala, vedhanappadala, perumappadrenda kannaaaaa... :razz:

jaiganes
24th February 2010, 06:28 PM
NExt release is Padiththurai - The director is a well known blogger and has been very neutral towards Raja's music and sometimes even critical of his personality. LEts wait for Suresh Kannan's padiththurai and any flies on the wall of prasad studio pls share what is happening to 'Happi'?

Sureshs65
24th February 2010, 07:37 PM
Oriental Records have started releasing lot of Raja's films of 80s. Yesterday I bought 4 such audio CDs. They are:

1. Paadu Nilave / Mann Vasanai / Davani Kanavugal
2. Chinna Tambi Periya Tambi / Jallikattu Kalai / Paatuku Oru Thalaivan
3. Mallu Veti Minor / Soorasamharam / Panakkaran
4. Thambiku Enda Ooru / Aan Pavam / En Purushan dhan enakku mattum dhan

I also saw 'Idaya Kovil' and 'Udaya Geetham' combination. Everything is now priced at Rs.75/- which is quite good I would say. These are audio CDs and not mp3s.

Since I got these in Bangalore, I guess you will definitely get them in Chennai and other parts of TNadu. Good that these guys have started releasing these albums.

app_engine
24th February 2010, 07:57 PM
CT-PT was by Gangai Amaran I think :roll:

irir123
24th February 2010, 08:22 PM
Oriental Records have started releasing lot of Raja's films of 80s. Yesterday I bought 4 such audio CDs. They are:

1. Paadu Nilave / Mann Vasanai / Davani Kanavugal
2. Chinna Tambi Periya Tambi / Jallikattu Kalai / Paatuku Oru Thalaivan
3. Mallu Veti Minor / Soorasamharam / Panakkaran
4. Thambiku Enda Ooru / Aan Pavam / En Purushan dhan enakku mattum dhan

I also saw 'Idaya Kovil' and 'Udaya Geetham' combination. Everything is now priced at Rs.75/- which is quite good I would say. These are audio CDs and not mp3s.

Since I got these in Bangalore, I guess you will definitely get them in Chennai and other parts of TNadu. Good that these guys have started releasing these albums.

Sureshs65 - Oriental Records always had these CDs on its website! but, I simply dont understand how the copyrights things works now, given that IR has announced all copyrights of pre-2000 releases to AGI Music!!

and now Oriental is happily releasing the very same CDs under its label, for which AGI Music apparently holds the rights !!??!!

idhula comedy enna vendral, if IR decides to send a legal notice to Oriental over this, it is likely not to work, since the original producers actually have the entire rights and in the absence of legal documents having been signed between producers of pre-2000 releases and IR, its free-for-all scenario! I cant imagine every 'thagara dappa' producer with cash to invest in a film, wud have even thought along these lines during the 1980s/1990s!

so, I see that AGI Music is busy releasing a big volume of 1980s/1990s IR songs, many of which come from the CDs Oriental has released !!

unless Oriental and AGI Music have signed some kind of an agreement (which i very much doubt), this is a classic legal swords-crossing moment!

SNAFU! in tamil, 'sariyaana dandanakka' situation!

eagle
24th February 2010, 09:50 PM
irir123,

I think Oriental Records have distribution rights in US.. but later on they decided to target indian market as well but that happened very recently. if you see in their website the pricing will be in US$.

But as fans we have no reason to complain... i used to buy them when it was priced here Rs.125/ each... now they slashed to Rs.75/.... Good quality recording...but most of the albums were released under echo banner (which raja owned in the past?)

Very difficult to get the albums were released under visiri symbol...like "nadodi thendral" i have reason to believe that its available only in cassette ..of course we have no chance to get his old albums like "eera vizhi kaaviyangal" as audio CD's....

Shank
24th February 2010, 10:07 PM
Chinna Thambi Periya Thambi is by IR and not Gangai Amaran. Many websites including Thiraipaadal have this wrongly credited to GA. The songs of CTPT are my fav and have enjoyed them since they released. For instance, "Maaman Ponnukku" stretches MV vocals to the fullest!! Similarly the Prabhu-Nadiya duet "Oru Kaadhal enbadhu" has a superb flow with awesome interludes.

app_engine
24th February 2010, 10:34 PM
Shank,
I remember seeing the posters mentioning GA (when it got released, during my bachelor days, my collegues went to watch it but I skipped).

The movie seems to be on the web :
http://www.techsatish.net/2008/09/09/chinnathambi-periyathambi-tamil-movie-live-links/

I can't see the video now, any who can watch can confirm who is the MD as per titles on screen :-)

baroque
24th February 2010, 10:37 PM
Oriental records have been selling these 80s/90s albums forever!

Our local video/audio stores at San Jose..'everthing must go' bin, I have found some of the finest albums of Ilayaraaja... sometimes they have given CDs for just 50 cent.

http://www.orientalrecords.com/filmproducts.php?categoryid=3
Oriental Records,
Please add product details.

http://www.orientalrecords.com/

Oriental Records is my favorite, they have fine hindustani, carnatic collection too. :musicsmile:

சின்னத்தம்பி பெரியதம்பி is by கங்கை அமரன்.
it is in
பாட்டுக்கு ஒரு தலைவன், ஜல்லிக்கட்டு - ilayaraja combo by oriental records.
vinatha.

Shank
24th February 2010, 10:47 PM
App engine...you are right...I checked the titles and was stunned!! :-)

eagle
24th February 2010, 11:47 PM
Considering "mazhayin thuiyil" number in that album its equally revealing for me... must be figuring on top 5 albums done by GA?

baroque
25th February 2010, 12:10 AM
T.Nagar, Bazulla Road.
The address:
MUSIC SHOPPE
Vignesh & Co.,
No.10, Bazullah Road, T.Nagar, Chennai - 600 017.
Phone: 4212 33 93, 2834 16 44.
(Thank you Venkat, MSVTIMES).
My Appa got me amazing collections from this shop last time when he visited.
I love when people bring me music goodies!:bluejump:
vinatha. :)

Plum
25th February 2010, 11:25 AM
CTPT is by Gangai Amaran. No doubt

app_engine
26th February 2010, 09:58 PM
[tscii:ed921102e4]Sathyan Anthikaud writes about Raja :

http://www.keralaflashnews.com/sathyan-anthikkad-about-ilayaraja.html

Quite interesting, coming from the #3 brand of MF field (after M & M) :-)

Here he talks about "kochu kochu santhOshangaL" composing session, for which a week's trip to Chennai was planned by him and Fazil warned him to be at the studio exactly at 7 AM :

പറഞ്ഞതുപോലെ ഏഴിന് തന്നെ അദ്ദേഹമെത്തി. ഞാന്* കഥ പറഞ്ഞു. പിന്നെ പാട്ടുകളുടെ സന്ദര്*ഭങ്ങളും. അഞ്ചു പാട്ടുകളാണ് വേണ്ടിയിരുന്നത്. ധ്യാനനിരതനായി കഥയും സന്ദര്*ഭങ്ങളും മനസിലുറപ്പിച്ച ഇളയരാജ പതിനൊന്നു മണിയോടെ സംഗീത സൃഷ്ടി പൂര്*ത്തിയാക്കി. അവിശ്വസനീയമായിരുന്നു അത്. അഞ്ചുപാട്ടുകളുടെ സ്ഥാനത്ത് ഓരോ പാട്ടിനും അഞ്ചുവീതം വ്യത്യസ്ത ട്യൂണുകള്* . ഉടനെ ഞാന്* ഫാസിലിനെ വിളിച്ചു. ഫാസില്* അമ്പരപ്പില്ലാതെ പറഞ്ഞു. ”അതാണ് രാജ. വിരല്* ഹാര്*മോണിയത്തില്* വെച്ചാല്* സംഗീതമേ വരൂ. മനസ്സില്* സംഗീതം മാത്രമേയുള്ളൂ.”

My translation :

As told, he reached exactly at 7 AM & I narrated the story. Then told the song situations. 5 songs were needed. After getting a deep understanding of the story & situations, he finished composing the music by 11 o' clock. It was unbelievable. Five different tunes for each of the five songs (i.e. 25 tunes)! I called Fazil immediately - Fazil replied without any surprise : "That is Raja. When his fingers touch harmonium, music simply flows out. There is music alone in his mind"
[/tscii:ed921102e4]

app_engine
26th February 2010, 10:06 PM
He ends the article this way :

ദീപാവലിക്ക് പടക്കം വാങ്ങാന്* കാശില്ലാതെ തകരപ്പാട്ടയില്* കൊട്ടിയപ്പോള്* താളം പിറന്നുവെന്ന് അദ്ദേഹം പറഞ്ഞിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇളയരാജ മഹത്തായ സിംഫണി ചെയ്യുന്നതില്* അതിശയമില്ല. കാരണം സംഗീതം മാത്രമേയുള്ളൂ അദ്ദേഹത്തിന്റെയുള്ളില്* .

"He has mentioned that when he didn't have money to get crackers for Deepavali and ended up replacing that with "tapping of tin box", it gave birth to thALam. It's not surprising that Ilayaraja can make a grand symphony. Reason? There's nothing but music inside him!

jaiganes
10th March 2010, 01:43 AM
http://hindi.way2movies.com/?p=14597

ennappa idhu April 16th releasaame happi?
sollave illai?
paattu eppo?

sivakumarann
22nd March 2010, 07:56 PM
I think the admin of this forum is trying to off the lights on IR, as this topic, which suppose to t discuss IRs's latest projects and works, is not shown the main page.It was shown last time.Can some one who is responsible for this put back this topic to the main site....Thanks!

Sanjeevi
22nd March 2010, 10:55 PM
CTPT is by Gangai Amaran. No doubt

But it is being sold with IR name as MD by Oriental Records to which IR recently has given complaint to Chennai police commissioner.

app_engine
22nd March 2010, 11:30 PM
The next IR album should be 'katha thudarum' as the Sathyan Anthikkad's movie is expected in a month's time :

http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14935965

cry_sandiego
23rd March 2010, 10:41 AM
Plum,

IR's complaint is against Echo Recording company and not Oriental i Guess. Atleast that's what the newspaper said.

Cheers
MSK

Sanjeevi
23rd March 2010, 12:24 PM
No it seems IR has said Echo and oriental has same owner (Parthasarathy) and he gave complaint on both.

sivakumarann
23rd March 2010, 12:54 PM
thanks for reinstating this topic on the main.thank you very much admin!

raagas
24th March 2010, 06:37 PM
I still cant understand why Hindi film "SRK" isn't releasing?

Devaraagam
24th March 2010, 08:03 PM
raagas,

Still I am in Nandhala...why isn't releasing....i understood that Ayngaran going to be release nandhala during April'2010 but now they are releasing their another film called Angadi Theru.

I feel again nandhala would be postponed...

app_engine
1st April 2010, 11:19 PM
Not really a new album but a nice review by a musician (HCIRF as well) for pA :

http://skrypture.blogspot.com/2009/12/paa-music.html

krish244
9th April 2010, 01:07 AM
[tscii:4e99fc168b]Bhavna talwar talks about her movie Happi. Interesting story (revolves around music to a lot extent.

"Happi is about “rising beyond the suffering”. It revolves around a happy old man called Happi, who lives by himself in a chawl and makes a living as a singer at a Parsee restaurant. The music keeps him going till the winds of change sweep through the restaurant. A flashy young crooner takes his place and life takes a different turn till a lonely dog wanders into his life and fills his world with a fresh wave of joy."

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100223/jsp/entertainment/story_12137826.jsp

Sites that say music is by Debojyoti:

http://www.songsblasts.com/songs/hindi-songs/happi.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debojyoti_Mishra

Hopefully these sites are wrong!

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:4e99fc168b]

Sureshs65
9th April 2010, 09:08 AM
Krishnan,

The site looks authentic though. There was some confusion about 'Happi' and 'Mausam'. I thought Raja was supposed to do 'Mausam' with Pankaj Kapoor. No clue on what is real but eagerly awaiting a new Raja album!!! Satyan's movie is the only chance. Hopefully they will release the music soon.

rajasaranam
9th April 2010, 12:31 PM
Sites that say music is by Debojyoti:

http://www.songsblasts.com/songs/hindi-songs/happi.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debojyoti_Mishra

Hopefully these sites are wrong!
Krishnan

Even The Site Link Below says the music is by Debojyoti Mishra, while the Poster will make us smile :)

http://musicjalsha.com/happi-2010-bollywood-movie-first-look-information

They have given the release date as 16th April! Album Engadaa?!!! :x

krish244
10th April 2010, 01:17 AM
Even The Site Link Below says the music is by Debojyoti Mishra, while the Poster will make us smile :)

Oh Yes....just noticed it. It says "Ilaiyaraaja" there in the poster. Really glad. Thanks for pointing it out. Wonder what kind of music IR has come up for this character who sings in a parsee restaurant. Curious to know.

Bad that so far no clue on the album.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sanjeevi
14th April 2010, 01:14 PM
விரைவில் (http://i44.tinypic.com/wv3fxt.jpg)

Sureshs65
14th April 2010, 04:03 PM
Sanjeevi,

That's good news. Given the pre-review this seems to be an album with some good classical touch. I remember Jeyamohan being very enthusiastic about this album as well as another blogger called Prasanna. So looking forward to this album. Hope 'viraivil' means less than a month and not less than a year :D

Shank
14th April 2010, 05:48 PM
Here is some news on Happi

http://www.mypopkorn.com/movies/kamal-haasan-sings-for-pankaj-kapoor-in-happi.html

njv
15th April 2010, 04:32 AM

Oh Yes....just noticed it. It says "Ilaiyaraaja" there in the poster. Really glad. Thanks for pointing it out. Wonder what kind of music IR has come up for this character who sings in a parsee restaurant. Curious to know.

Bad that so far no clue on the album.

thanks,

Krishnan

IR is not the kind a guy who listen to Parsi albums and make one for this, so this wont be anything related to parsi album you may find, but we all know, there is a room for innovation here and IR will exploit to the fullest extend :)

BTW, Watched Angadi Theru, very good movie, but in the interval saw Nandalala teaser. Awesome BGM. Wonder why such movies dont come on time. By the time this movie comes, it would be out of time and wont commercially run :(

Sureshs65
15th April 2010, 11:51 AM
njv,

I watched parts of a movie called 'Aval Peyar Tamilarasi'. This has a setting which is very nice though the movie itself was bad. The heroines family is a family of 'koothu' artists and given the village ambience, this movie cried for Raja. If only the director had approached Raja and ensured he got him to compose the music, we would have easily got a classic like 'Avatharam'. Vijay Anthony tries his best but he is nowhere close. For some reason the new directors who are able to come up with some interesting settings are unable to approach or work with Raja. A loss to them as well as to us.

A friend of mine said he felt the same when he saw 'Angadi Theru'.

appushiva
15th April 2010, 01:06 PM
Yes, there is an angush in ourselves why the new young directors are not approching IR. The new directors think if IR is involved he will dominate and the victory of the movie will be spoken because of him, they want their name to come up in the industry. This is the reason they ignore the musical requirments and they sign with random musicians. In angadi theru the song is very slow and flat , it is our fate to see and hear these songs after hearing the stunning songs of IR's era.

These movies are not balanced in their treatment and only concentrate on the subject, either more tragedy or more pathetic.

Vasantha balan told he interviewed thousands for the face but you think he not know about the IR role in his flim, he knows but he dont want to. Everybody is having their goal in thier life to achieve that they have to be selfish.

:cry:

Regards

Sureshs65
15th April 2010, 01:18 PM
appu,

I guess there is some truth in what you say. It is well known that once Raja sees a movie, he _knows_ what BGM will fit and it _fits_ . There will be no chance for the director to suggest Raja as to what type of music he must give, what instruments he must use etc. For example, if you have heard Myshkin's interview before release of his movie, 'Anjadhe', he was saying how he sat with Sundar C Babu and how they decided on the music, how they decided to use certain instruments etc. I am sure this would not have happened for 'Nandalala'. Of course the output would far exceed what Myshkin would have expected but his involvement would have been negligible.

One point we must note is that even if it is a relative new comer who is in charge of the movie, Raja never dominates as far as BGM is concerned. He always ensures the film gets what it needs and he never goes out of the way to showcase his music genius. I never tire of repeating myself when it comes to the BGM of 'Aa Dinagalu'. The way Raja creates a sense of tension without being loud or without taking away the attention from the movie is a text book example of how to compose BGM.

Maybe all new comers are not 'selfish'. It could also be some market realities that they cannot use Raja. As you know Raja is not someone who is immediately commercially viable nowadays. The new directors are also puppets in the hands of the producers and financiers and they may by themselves not have a great say in choosing the music director. They may have to go with the flow and choose someone who is considered more commercially viable or choose someone who is not very costly.

In short, there seem to be multiple factors involved which are not letting the new and promising directors work with Raja. Their movie would definitely go up a level with the BGM of Raja. In the final analysis, both the directors and listeners like us are losers.

irir123
15th April 2010, 04:32 PM
Suresh65: I am getting tired of all of this rant! haven't I emphatically said over and over again, that IR is too big a talent for the small world of Tamil (or even Indian) cinema and neither deserve his services since his talents are way beyond their comprehension ?? its entirely IR's own fault that he is selling himself short getting mixed up with filmmakers who simply speaking do not deserve his association - maybe there is a touch of arrogance in my words, but, he does not have to - after 850 plus films - go back to doing regular cinema stuff

complete/total lack of ambition is the key to IR's present status quo

appushiva
15th April 2010, 06:15 PM
Hi,

We the fans of Ilayaraja think in the perspective of how IR thinks for a better entertainment, I will not accept it is his own fault that movies are not getting signed.

If the people want to get treated well they will sure go to a good hospital, not the hospital will declare itself that it is treating well.

What i feel it is not the fault of directors and producers for not giving IR assignments, It is the fault of the society which celebrates scrap songs and encourages successive movies to follow. The flim industry is trying to fade out one another inside the industry itself and want another field to lag behind.
I seen some senior actors are lamenting about songs in the movies they say it is un natural, then i want to ask these guys why then they want background music, let the car chase without music and imagine a fight scene without background score :lol:

Finally .. it is like the train is heading to unknown destination and the drivers who want to divert from the main streat itself biting their nails for what to do?????

I am happy with 850 X 5 songs for my generations, and it is not in our hands to change the people's taste, only they should realise.

Bye

njv
15th April 2010, 06:42 PM
njv,

I watched parts of a movie called 'Aval Peyar Tamilarasi'. This has a setting which is very nice though the movie itself was bad. The heroines family is a family of 'koothu' artists and given the village ambience, this movie cried for Raja. If only the director had approached Raja and ensured he got him to compose the music, we would have easily got a classic like 'Avatharam'. Vijay Anthony tries his best but he is nowhere close. For some reason the new directors who are able to come up with some interesting settings are unable to approach or work with Raja. A loss to them as well as to us.

A friend of mine said he felt the same when he saw 'Angadi Theru'.

I felt the same for Angadi Theru, with 2 MDs, there is a disconnect between songs and BGM as well, but I took the best from Angadi Theru. Worth ignoring the mistakes in there as the movie is good and hats off to director for the attempt.

njv
15th April 2010, 06:47 PM
Suresh65: I am getting tired of all of this rant! haven't I emphatically said over and over again, that IR is too big a talent for the small world of Tamil (or even Indian) cinema and neither deserve his services since his talents are way beyond their comprehension ?? its entirely IR's own fault that he is selling himself short getting mixed up with filmmakers who simply speaking do not deserve his association - maybe there is a touch of arrogance in my words, but, he does not have to - after 850 plus films - go back to doing regular cinema stuff

Vidunga sir, this is not in our "circle of influence".

Sureshs65
15th April 2010, 07:01 PM
irir123,

I fully understand and appreciate your perspective. That is definitely one very valid way of looking at the situation. At the same time I do have some agreement with AppuShiva's view. Somehow we are not demanding the best from our directors, maybe. That is why they can get into a 'anything chaltha hai' mode and sign whoever they want. My only hope is that if enough people say that the movie was good but the BGM was a big letdown, then the directors may rethink their priorities. Given the current state of Tamil film industry, where even Kamal is unable to get Raja, what I am saying is nothing but a pipe dream!!! Just imagine if Raja was in charge of music for Dasavatharam!!!

eagle
17th April 2010, 02:36 AM

இதேதான் என்னுடைய கருத்தும் .. :notworthy:

ஆனா மக்கள் இன்னும் அவர் இன்னும் இந்த மாதிரி வீனா போன படங்களுக்கு நிறைய இசை அமைக்கணும்னு எதிர்பார்பதோடு மட்டுமில்லாம ஒவ்வொரு படம் வரதுக்கு முன்னால பில்ட் அப் வேற...

"வெகு விரைவில் நான் பேரிசை வடிவங்களை நோக்கி செல்வேன்..." இதை அவர் சொல்லியே பல வருஷமாச்சு...

irir123
17th April 2010, 05:04 AM
eagle - not only that - in a recent conversation IR had expressed his desire to take the great works of classical composers like bach, mozart etc to the rural areas - thats fine - but how does he intend to do the same ? through some nondescript events like the one organised by some telugu actor, where IR got one small string orchestra / ensemble to play some pieces from mozarts works with IR himself conducting the same!!

whats the use and what purpose did it achieve ??

if it was like a workshop that kamal did for screenplays at IIT chennai, that wud have been immensely useful and meaningful - but IR does these things in the most arbitrary fashion with no clearcut pattern of organisation

venkkiram
17th April 2010, 11:42 PM
"வெகு விரைவில் நான் பேரிசை வடிவங்களை நோக்கி செல்வேன்..." இதை அவர் சொல்லியே பல வருஷமாச்சு...

அப்படி ஒருவேளை ராஜா பேரிசை வடிவங்களை செய்ய முன்வரும் போது, முழுக்க முழுக்க நாட்டுப்புற இசையினை மையமாக வைத்து தாரை, தப்பட்டை, கொட்டு, உடுக்கை, உறுமி, மேளம், நாதஸ்வரம், கொட்டாங்குச்சி வயலின், யாழ் என இருக்கிற பாரம்பரிய தோல்கருவி, தந்திக்கருவி, துளைக்கருவிகளை மட்டுமே உபயோகித்து (Strictly No Bass, Guitar, Piano, Tabla, Violin Stuff here) ஒரு ஆல்பம் கொடுக்கணும். சினிமாவில் நிறைய முயற்சிகள் அப்படி செய்திருக்கிறார் என்றாலும், தனிப்பட்ட ஆல்பம் என வரும்போது பல்லவி, சரணம் 1, சரணம் 2 என்ற பழகிப்போன வடிவத்திற்குள்ளேயே பட்டம் விடாமல், சுதந்திரமாக நிறைய முயற்சிகளை செய்து பார்க்க முடியும். How to name, Nothing But A Wind, Thiruvasagam, Ramana Maalai இப்படிப்பட்ட கர்நாடக சங்கிதம், Western Classical வடிவத்தில் ஆல்பம் செய்துவிட்ட ராஜா, மறக்காமல் பண்ணைபுரத்திற்கும் ஒரு ஆல்பம் செய்தால்தான், அவரது இசைப்பணி முழுமையடையும் என்பது என் பார்வை.

eagle
18th April 2010, 12:23 AM
எனக்கென்னவோ ராஜா அந்த மாதிரி ஸ்ட்ரிக்ட்டா குறிப்பிட்ட இசையை அல்லது இசை கருவிகளை மட்டும் வைத்து ஏதும் செய்ததாக தெரியவில்லை அவரின் அடையாளமே வேறுபட்ட இசைகளின் எல்லைகளை அழித்து ஒரு புது இசையை கொடுப்பது அதிலும் மரபுக்கும் புதுமைக்கும் போதிய இடம் அளிப்பது என்று தோன்றுகிறது.

Sureshs65
18th April 2010, 01:49 AM
eagle,

I agree with you. Raja does not strictly stick to one genre. He is an eternal experimenter even while providing very traditional music!!! The best 'naatupura paatu' with experimentation was done in 'Virumandi'. What an album it was!! 'nettiyile pottu vai' and 'karumathur kaatukulle' were authentic folk stuff while 'viru virumandi' was top class experimentation. Wish he would do one album of that sort. I think it is unfair on our part to restrict Raja to one set of instruments / genre. If we understand him well, we will let him do what he wants. After all he knows more about music than us, doesn't he :)

Bala (Karthik)
18th April 2010, 03:34 PM
Agree with the concerns pointed out by a few here.
However, i think this obsession with breaking away from "pallavi-charaam" should go

1. IR (and MSV too, i guess) have already done that - songs not following this age-old format. Yeah, not many but the point is, it has been done
2. Composing songs outside this format is not path-breaking stuff in any significant way. Then i can argue that by breaking away from the traditional film format, one is just conforming to western popular formats (rock, pop etc) where you have a prelude, the song kicks in and you end it with a lead without any perceivable breaks for interludes. In the strict sense, what new ground has been reached?

Constraints like the above, or not using instruments etc are IMO superficial. Seyyalaam (already senjaachu, e.g Virumaandi) but thats not the biggest challenge we would like him to take on, illaya? Adhellam oru amatuer composer ku kudukkappada vendiya challenge. Avar canvas innum remba perisu

Sureshs65
18th April 2010, 04:22 PM
Bala,

Very nicely put. I always get the same feeling you expressed whenever someone says that some music director is breaking new ground because he is not using the 'pallavi-charanam' format. What transpires is that the western style of tuning is transposed here and that becomes 'path breaking', 'envelope pushing' etc etc. There are quite a good number of 'structureless songs' in western rock music that I don't find much of what our MDs do to be very innovative. (I mean, can you find a song which has absolutely no structure like the 'Lemon Song' of Ledzepplin.)

As you very aptly say, these challenges are for kids. Raja is way ahead in his understanding and conceptulization of music that these sort of things will probably make him laugh. What this shows is our limitation in terms of musical knowledge. What we must tell Raja is 'Do whatever you want. You have our support' and he will come up with something we can't even dream of. (I remember reading a statement of a Xerox engineer, when Xerox was at its innovative peak, "How can ask my customers what they want. My customers are not born yet!!!" This is the statement that comes to my mind whenever I see people suggesting what Raja should do. The ideas that he has will probably never be born inside us. One reason why we worship him, isn't it?)

jaiganes
18th April 2010, 08:08 PM
innum thirumandiram, divyaprabandham
puranaanooru idhellam irukku - raasavin isai udayai aniya kaathukkondu...

raj_musing
18th April 2010, 09:21 PM
KJY,Ilayaraja and ONV together for the 70th bthday celebration of Yesudas last month.You can listen to ilayaraja's speech here..Also what other's have to say on this rare "triveni" sangamam in the sub-links----Enjoy!

http://www.manoramaonline.com/advt/Specials/Metro/Yesudas_Ceremony/index.htm

Sureshs65
18th April 2010, 10:53 PM
raj_musing,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I have no clue on reading Malayalam. So would request you or someone like app_eng to do the translation.

I am sure the controversy of Raja vs ONV is put to rest now. They seem to be in a jovial mood as far as we can see in the pictures.

Sureshs65
18th April 2010, 11:14 PM
raj_musing,

I went to the video links and the third video has Raja speaking about Jesudas. I would ask people to have a look at this video. I have earlier stated this and state it again. As far as music directors go, no one speaks as well as Raja does. Yes, I know about the 'foot in the mouth disease' but check this video out. Wonderful speech but unfortunately cut off. Hope someone has the full video and would be loaded into youtube sometime later. Check how Raja praises the old songs that were screened and talks about their purity. He also starts talking about his past and how he played guitar for around 57 films only for Devarajan Master when the video unfortunately gets cut.

venkkiram
19th April 2010, 08:36 AM
eagle,

I agree with you. Raja does not strictly stick to one genre. He is an eternal experimenter even while providing very traditional music!!! The best 'naatupura paatu' with experimentation was done in 'Virumandi'. What an album it was!! 'nettiyile pottu vai' and 'karumathur kaatukulle' were authentic folk stuff while 'viru virumandi' was top class experimentation. Wish he would do one album of that sort. I think it is unfair on our part to restrict Raja to one set of instruments / genre. If we understand him well, we will let him do what he wants. After all he knows more about music than us, doesn't he :)சுரேஷ்,

விருமாண்டியில் நீங்க குறிப்பிட்ட நெத்தியில பொட்டு வை, கருமாத்தூர் காட்டுக்குள்ளே இரு பாடல்கள்களும் நாட்டுப்புற இசைப்பாடல்கள். நான் சொல்ல வந்தது முழுக்க முழுக்க நாட்டுப்புற இசையைப் பற்றிய தொகுப்புகள். How to name it, Nothing But wind தொகுப்பில் கர்நாடக சங்கீதம் - மேற்கத்திய செவ்வியல் இசைக்கிடையேயான ஒரு சங்கமத்தை கொடுத்த ராஜா, நமது நாட்டுப்புற இசை மற்றும் பிற நாட்டு Folk இசையினையும் இணைத்துப் பார்க்கலாம்.

As you very aptly say, these challenges are for kids. வருங்காலத்தில் எந்தவொரு இந்திய இசைக்குழந்தையும் அதுபோல ஒரு முயற்சி செய்தால், அது நிச்சயமாக ஒரு வரலாற்று சாதனைதான்.

app_engine
19th April 2010, 05:23 PM
I am sure the controversy of Raja vs ONV is put to rest now. They seem to be in a jovial mood as far as we can see in the pictures.

The box with those pictures explains how the controversy is killed :-)

ONV arrived early to the function and later IR / KJY in two cars at the same time. Raja took initiative and went to ONV, held his hands and greeted, with that the ice was melted. In addition, IR has already told that he wanted to speak only after ONV on the dais.

ONV didn't mention anything about the controversy while IR went at length to explain what great regards he has for the poet, how he is not qualified to comment on him and asserted he never meant to discredit the poet in his remarks. The crowd burst into applause at that point of time.

Later, KJY, in his speech expressed pleasure that he could provide the stage for this controversy to be killed :-)

HellO, anti-arrogance preachers of the hub, please read this news report!

Plum
19th April 2010, 06:00 PM
asku busku IR is not arrogant-nu meaning varra edhaiyum nAnga padikka mAttOm
ippadikku
forumhub anti-IR-masking-as-anti-arrogance Club

Sureshs65
19th April 2010, 09:54 PM
app,

Thanks for the translation. So this is the first time that Raja and ONV met after the incident? This incident shows the real regard that Raja has for ONV. Raja probably came in to clear off the unnecessary controversy. As Plum says, some people may not look at it even if you gave them a big lens to read the news item :)

Sureshs65
19th April 2010, 09:57 PM
venki,

All of us have our wish list as to what Raja should do. What I am trying to say is that Raja probably has much more deeper wish list himself, which will be beyond our imagination. You may want folk, I may want LedZep type guitar usage album, someone else a symphony. But we being just listeners can only say I want like this or like that. We cannot think originally. So my argument is that we let Raja do whatever he wants and I am sure he will come up with some mind blowing stuff. The question that is asked by irir123 is if Raja has the necessary ambition to do an album now.

app_engine
19th April 2010, 10:02 PM
At this point of time, based on Sathyan's interview (I posted the link in another thread), I'm looking forward to the three melodies that he has given for 'katha idhu vara' :-)

Should be releasing this month...

jaiganes
19th April 2010, 10:32 PM
app,

Thanks for the translation. So this is the first time that Raja and ONV met after the incident? This incident shows the real regard that Raja has for ONV. Raja probably came in to clear off the unnecessary controversy. As Plum says, some people may not look at it even if you gave them a big lens to read the news item :)
malayala kavignarukku mattum dhaan indha mariyadhayaana treatment ellaama? yaen thamizh kavignargal samarasathukku appaarpattavargala? Raajavin thamizh dhurogamnu editorial ezudhi naan thayaar panni vechirukken ennoda sitridhazhlayum bloglayum podarathukku readyaa. sales summa pichikka povudhu..

app_engine
19th April 2010, 10:57 PM
jaiganes :-)

Even though your post is not in a serious mode, I just thought of comparing the ONV-IR v/s VM-IR rows.

In the case of ONV, the poet didn't utter anything. It was IR who supposedly made some remarks and obviously the responsibility was on him to clear it up. Well, he did it adequately - made statement in media and also met the poet, talked in public and settled it.

OTOH, though the details of VM ladAi is not known to public, from what one can infer (from VM's statement that IR sent vakkeel notice), the damaging remarks or action was initiated by VM. By resorting to legal means, Raja was only "defending" his position (may be dignity).

So, the accused is clearly VM here. I don't think he did anything to clean up the accusations. Looks like he still sticks to his position, why, even campaigning - by getting support from BR etc.

Obviously, there's no need for an IR initiative here, per my observation. If anything, it has to come from the "humble" kavingar :-)

Sureshs65
20th April 2010, 12:08 AM
Jai,

edhuku ungalukku indha veri. evallavu paer vayitril mann vari eraikireergal'. You are taking away the livelihood of so many people by your actions. What will those poor fellows do if you publish first. :lol:

app_engine
20th April 2010, 12:15 AM
Sureshji,
You're grossly underestimating them.

அந்தர் பல்டி அடிக்குறது அவங்களுக்கு ஜுஜுபி.

உடனே கவிஞருக்கு ஒரு கண்டனக்கூட்டம் போட்டு -ராசா கால்ல விழச்சொல்லி - விற்பனைக்கு ஒரு புது ஏரியா தொடங்கிருவாங்க!

raj_musing
20th April 2010, 12:31 AM
Raja's fantastic Malayalam...You just fall in love with it...:))Among the audience were music composer "M jayachandran",Director Shaji etc...They all were happy to witness the reunion of these great stalwarts.....

M jayachandran considers Ilayaraja as the Greatest composer of this age and expressed his surpise on His visit,as Raja rarely makes appearence in public! He feels that Ilayaraja's love and respect for KJY perhaps could be the only reason that he attended this function!!

He also pointed out that the "Sangeetha Sanddhya" had a magical effect as these 3 greats held their hands together before the program....
The controversy definitely is laid to rest..KJY even sang "Adiyusha Sandhya" later much to the delight of Raja!

The other tamil songs KJY sang were
Daivam thantha Veedu
Vishwanathan Velei venam
Kannei Kalaimane...............

Sureshs65
20th April 2010, 07:04 AM
app,

:D

Sureshs65
20th April 2010, 07:05 AM
raj_musing,

Thanks for the translation. I did see M.Jeyachandran in the photo.

Sanjeevi
20th April 2010, 12:48 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2010/04/papanasathil-oru-nari-tamil-cinema-haricharan.html

vazhakkam pola

app_engine
21st April 2010, 07:26 PM
another IR project, a Telungu one
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/56383.html

rajaalltheway
21st April 2010, 08:19 PM
Gaayam first part had music by Sree..great to know that atlast one big film with a saleable masala star has came in search of the maestro.

Sureshs65
21st April 2010, 10:21 PM
Heard the CD of Sathyan's new film is out in MalluLand. When will it come to Bangalore, if at all? Waiting to hear the songs in the internet land :D

rajaalltheway
22nd April 2010, 05:45 PM
Katha Thudarunnu...mmm..donno what to write.Hariharan and Chitra starts with "aaro paadunnu",melodious to the core but too
much "mudi mudi" influence.Next comes the patented Sathayan-Raja routine "mazha megha chelin pooram"..though chocolate is food of gods u cannot have it thrice a day.Finally Karthik croons the energetic "Kizhakkummala Kammalitta" with aplomp but cringy pronounciations,the opening of the song reminded me of vintage ARR song "mamboove" from Yodha.Overall satisfactory..just the usual Sathyan Anthikkad sounds nothing more.A word about the lyrics..they are meaningless,senseless tunekillers.Gireesh Punthencheri is sorely missed.I feel the only poet who can do justice to Ayyas music is Yusuf Ali Kecheri..donno where he is these days..

Hulkster
23rd April 2010, 06:54 AM
Listened to Kadha Thudarunnu Songs.

1) Sound Quality is Awesome
2) There are karaoke versions of the songs which is a delight to hear cause there is a river of rhythms flowing in the instrumentals.

That is just the background information

1) Aaro Paadum is thalaivar at his jazzy flowing best. It is injustice if i were to describe this song. Its one of those where you have to hear to believe it.

2) Mazhamega Chelin Puram is rocking with rhythms embodied with fun all over it. Again very hard to describe it.

3) Kizhakkumula is probably the most rustic and folkish of the three songs. But what energy. The instrumentation just catches you off the hook.

Sorry that i cant describe but i am in a state of utter disbelief of what i just heard. Especially Aaro Paadum. And there i was thinking why thalaivar never repeats his current jazz magic in malayalam given its scope of melodies.

irir123
23rd April 2010, 07:48 AM
what contrasting reviews by hulkster n rajaalltheway - am now truely intrigued!

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 09:55 AM
Hulk,

Good to see you here after a very long time. Any samples for lesser mortals like us, who have to wait long for a friend to courier the CD as Bangalore shops seem totally unaware that music exists in Malayalam films!!! Atleast the recent ones!!

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 09:59 AM
irir123,

Yup. Very intriguing indeed. It would have been a normal review pattern for Raja's albums if someone other than RajaAlltheway was not enthusiastic. Hulk, RS and yours truly are the usual suspects who like whatever Raja delivers and there are enough people who don't like the new Raja. But RajaAlltheway in the mix makes this very intriguing. So I am also keen to hear the album now. Anyway, I am always keen to hear Raja's albums only that I want to hear this _right now_ and there is no way of doing it :(

Devaraagam
23rd April 2010, 10:33 AM
Suresh,

Y0u can get your copy of kadha thudarunnu at maebag.com. It is available and one of good site for buying mallu cds.

I am buying through maebag for the past 6 years.

http://maebag.com/details.php?ItemCode=11406&&ItemName=Kadha%20Thudarunnu%20ACD

raja_fan
23rd April 2010, 10:40 AM
It is available in 123musiq.com

But forget it ! The album has nothing great to offer...run of the mill stuff.

Yaaro paadunnu is good, but reminds of "Thendral varum theru..." .

That Karthik song..What a predictable rehash :(

raja_fan
23rd April 2010, 10:44 AM
I wonder if Karthik is accepting these songs just for the respect towards IR / money. He would not have surely enjoyed singing these songs...

Sathyan..., you are fading sir !

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 10:48 AM
raja_fan,

You are back with a bang :) and parity is restored. It is just like olden times, where you don't like an album and Hulk loves it. BTW, you had the same comments for 'Bagyadevatha' as well :)

Now I am more than keen to listen to this album!!!

raja_fan
23rd April 2010, 10:52 AM
Will anyone deny that Bhagyadevatha was an earlier sign of downfall of Sathyan - IR combo ? :)

At least was Bhagyadevatha a fresh set of compositions like "Kochu kochu santhoshangal" or "Manasinakkare" ?

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 10:59 AM
aaah raja_fan. You reminded me of 'Bhagyadevatha'. What set of compositions. 'Swapnangal' is something to die for. What a song. And so is 'adi thirathanni'. It was a class album, no doubt in my mind and will stand up to any other Sathyan - Raja combo.

AravindMano
23rd April 2010, 11:02 AM
Will anyone deny that Bhagyadevatha was an earlier sign of downfall of Sathyan - IR combo ? :)

At least was Bhagyadevatha a fresh set of compositions like "Kochu kochu santhoshangal" or "Manasinakkare" ?

I, for one, do deny it. I think Bhagyadevatha was much better than their previous outing InnathE.. And I would give my right arm for SwapnangaL kaNNezhudhiyA. :)

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 11:05 AM
AM,

I too feel 'Bagyadevatha' sort of got back Sathyan on track. From all indications it was a decent hit in Kerala. 'Innathe..' did not do too well, given the Sathyan-Mohanlal expectation.

.. and my left arm too.. :D

AravindMano
23rd April 2010, 11:07 AM
.. and my left arm too.. :D

:2thumbsup:

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 11:24 AM
Just heard 'aaro paadunnu doore' from 'Katha Thodarunnu'. Very intriguing song. I can understand RajaAlltheway's reference to 'Mudi Mudi'. The orchestration is in the same jazzy style. Lovely guitar, piano and violin usage, in a very jazzy form. The charanam is very interesting with the rhythms going very steady against a tune which twists and turns. What a melody buildup in the charanam. What intrigues me is the pallavi itself. The start reminds me of old Hindi film songs. The same way 'Swapnangal' reminded me of old Hindi songs. I can understand why Sathyan was enthusiastic about this song in his interview and said he always demanded melodies from Raja. The whole orchestration is very similar to 'Paa'. Both the interludes are lovely. The way the song starts with 'Aaaaro' and Chitra follows with 'aaatmavil' is enough to pay for the full CD!!! Outstanding song which can only be conceived by a genius like Raja who can mix the great music of past with his own sensibilities and to that add a jazz layer. A song to keep for a long time, as Sathyan had mentioned in his interview.

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 11:32 AM
And the song continues the orchestration style of Raja from last year. Lot of keyboard work. Not much flute. The recording is lovely.

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 11:40 AM
Just heard the other two songs as well. Need to go out now so can't post a detailed review but can say I agree with Hulk to a large extent.

rajasaranam
23rd April 2010, 12:42 PM
raja_fan,

Welcome Back! We were missing the fun :D

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 05:42 PM
Here is my review of Kadha Thudarunnu.

'aaro padunnu doore' (Hariharan / Chitra): Chitra starts humming and Hariharan mouths the first line followed by Chitra's humming and then a lovely prelude on the violins and the keyboards. Hariharan starts the pallavi with the drums joining in. A lovely arragement a la 'Paa'. A constant synth drumming and bass follow the pallavi but stop when Chitra repeats the pallavi. A nice guitar followed by keyboard and violins make up the first interlude. The drumming remains constant and stop suddenly when Hariharan starts the charanam for a line and start again. The charnam is very melodious. The second interlude is dedicated to the keyboard with the violins providing the counter. The song ends with a delightful postlude. Compared to the earlier songs with Raja, I find Hariharan doing a very nice job here and seems to be at ease. (I liked his sing in 'Chal Chale' as well.) Chitra, as usual, is impeccable. She is incapable of putting a wrong step. A wonderful song and the best song of the album. No wonder Sathyan was excited about this song in his interview.

'mazhamegha chelin' (Shweta / Vijay Yesudas) The song starts with a prelude rhythm with keyboards and synth. The violins then join in and all of them stop when Shweta starts the song. The keyboard plays in a very asynchronous way when she sings the pallavi the first time. The torturous pallavi is trademark Raja with its many twists and turns. The synth here is not like in the 'aaro' song but rather the older Raja style. Reminds me of the lovely female solos that Raja gives in Malayalam like 'punnara poo' etc. The first interlude is on the synth. Vijay Jesudas starts of a very melodious charanam. A lovely rhythm follows the singers throughout the charanam. The second interlude is very nice. Overall a very melodious song. If only the synth effect in the first interlude was less ..... Looks like Shweta is Raja's recent favorite in Malayalam. Where has Manjari vanished?

'kilakumala kammalitta': The song starts with a synth prelude. A few taps on the thavil make way for Karthik to start the song. The ending of pallavi reminds me of a song from 'Kaliyoonjalu'. (the 'thanku diku thalam' part.) The first interlude has the shenoy. My feeling is that it is a synth shenoy. The charanam is energy filled with tabla joined by multiple percussion instruments providing a lot energy. The synth effects in the second interlude are definitely old fashioned. A lovely shenoy with bass backing is the highlight of the second interlude. A very energetic song. My feeling is that the energy level would have gone up even more if the synth effects were avoided.

Overall I am loving the songs. As with his movies Sathyan seems to be getting into a pattern with respect to the songs he uses in the movies. One song where the melodic aspect dominates like 'mandarapoo', 'swapnangal', 'melleonnu'. In this movie, 'aaro' takes that slot. Another faster melody like 'atinkaraiyorathu', 'kaiyetha', 'allipoove'. 'mazhamega' takes that slot. Then one rhythmic folk type song, 'devaram', 'adi thirathannil', 'chandakoru'. In this movie, 'kizhakkumala kammalitta' takes that place. So an expected Sathyan movie, with expected songs. Yet, you want to listen to the songs again and again.

A general observation. There seems to be two Rajas when it comes to synth usage. One, in the style of 'Paa', where the recording and the synth effects are very nice and trendy. The other is the older style Raja. Somehow the synth effects aren't as good as the 'Paa' style and some old fashioned effects creep in once in a while. It will be great if Raja sticks to the 'Paa' style of recording as well as synth usage. It is very jazzy and attractive.

In a private conversation. rajaalltheway pointed out to the fact that 'aaro' sounds similar to the charanams of 'poo poothadhu' from 'Mumbai Express'. I feel the similarity is due to both songs being in Pahadi. 'aaro' is an excellent melody nevertheless.

In short, a very enjoyable album. 'aaro' is one which will survive for a long time.

Devaraagam
24th April 2010, 12:38 AM
suresh,

Nice review..

Just started to listening the song..

before starts listening..I though why satyan is not keeping more than 3 songs in his recent movies..this is 3rd contineus movie which has only 3 songs...:)

Sureshs65
24th April 2010, 12:56 AM
DR,

I am sure you will enjoy the songs.

No clue why Sathyan has only three songs. Yes, the last three movies had three songs and so did 'Achuvinte Amma' earlier. 'Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal' had scope for songs and I think that had 4 songs or more. 'Rasatantram' had 4. I guess Sathyan must ask for atleast 4 songs. One good thing is that Sathyan uses all the songs he gets.

Hulkster
24th April 2010, 07:22 AM
<a href="http://sevenmountain.blogspot.com/2010/04/katha-thudarunnu-happens-to-be-first.html">
Katha Thudarunnu Instrumentals</a>

Voiceless full version samples for those who have not heard the tracks. Not sure who did the voiceless ones but its from the same website that raja_fan listed. :D

app_engine
24th April 2010, 07:36 AM
Karthik's review :
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2010/04/23/music-review-kadha-thudarunnu-malayalam-ilayaraja/