PDA

View Full Version : Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

app_engine
3rd December 2009, 11:41 PM
The pallavi lyrics are not great and I was pissed off a bit but the lyrics in the charanams are quite good.

Exactly! Listening to both unnaipatRi sonnAl & un vAzhvE made me think why can't IR do songs like the typical western pop - where prelude is followed by the first stanza / saraNam and only after that the chorus / pallavi plays :-)

Actually IR, being a WCM fanatic, can even do songs without any pallavi at all (there are any number of church choir songs with no chorus aka pallavi part, just stanzas). With IR's extraordinary capability to orchestrate, it would be interesting to see if a director comes to him with a requirement that there should be no pallavi :-)

app_engine
4th December 2009, 12:13 AM
the site has listed top 100 all-time bollywood soundracks (http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayArticle.php?id=060306044135) :)

As it lists all my favourites (ArAdhanA, bobby, YKB, QSQT, Ashiqui, shOlAy, qurbAni, dil sE etc), it should be a pretty decent list :-)

L-P got to be big, with Bobby! Even in TN VILLAGES, it ruled (hum-tum used to be my "humm-all-time" song at one point of time! So was K-A's qurbAni (lailA O lailA). SDB-RDB popularity is also unquestionable!

I'm not so sure about the Anu Malik / Ram Laxman kind of guys about whom I don't care.

OTOH, QSQT by A-M is among the greatest music I've ever heard!

writeface
4th December 2009, 01:34 AM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/review/14149/index.html

padam super hit agumnu thonuthu :D

After a long time, IR is associated with two "decent -to-very good" movies (commercially and artistically): PR and PAA.

-Gokul.

writeface
4th December 2009, 07:46 AM
(nice audio setup Gokul)

Thanks Kiru. I just need to add a turn table and borrow some of your vinyl disks:-)

Sureshs65
4th December 2009, 10:13 AM
/Digression

Sanjeevi,

As with all ratings, this one is subjective as well. Probably rated by guys who grew up in the 80s. The second half of the 80s till the mid 90s when Rahman appeared on the scene, was probably the lowest period for Hindi film music and there are many films in this period which appear in this list!!! Anyway, as someone who has been listening to old Hindi film songs a lot, this list is a big joke. When Salil Da appears only once, Kemchand Prakash and Anil Biswas don't appear at all, 'Woh Kaun Thi' languishing near 100, this would appear to be a list prepared by the musically illiterate. Especially when you consider that Aadesh Srivasta, Himesh Reshamaiyya and the like appear but no Anil Biswas!!

/End Dig

raagas
4th December 2009, 02:37 PM
/Digression

Sanjeevi,

As with all ratings, this one is subjective as well. Probably rated by guys who grew up in the 80s. The second half of the 80s till the mid 90s when Rahman appeared on the scene, was probably the lowest period for Hindi film music and there are many films in this period which appear in this list!!! Anyway, as someone who has been listening to old Hindi film songs a lot, this list is a big joke. When Salil Da appears only once, Kemchand Prakash and Anil Biswas don't appear at all, 'Woh Kaun Thi' languishing near 100, this would appear to be a list prepared by the musically illiterate. Especially when you consider that Aadesh Srivasta, Himesh Reshamaiyya and the like appear but no Anil Biswas!!

/End Dig

Absolutely Suresh, i agree.Excluding someone like Anil Biswas or infact having only 2 films of Madan Mohan shows their knowledge.I doubt if the author knows that there was one Anil Biswas or Sajjad Hussain or Jaidev.I dont know how such lame people are hired for tasks like that (compiling best soundtracks).

krish244
4th December 2009, 02:47 PM
rediff's review:

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/04/review-watch-paa-for-auro.htm

Reviewer forgot to notice the songs/BGM, I guess :)

thanks,

Krishnan

Sanjeevi
4th December 2009, 02:58 PM
as usual rediff (poonai) tried to hide Raaja (kannai moduduchu)

thumburu
4th December 2009, 04:00 PM
Today's Times Of India Bangalore edition carries the film review of "Paa". It gives 3.5 stars , ie good - very good rating. Rgarding music, it says Illaiyaraja's lilting music score is something to watch out for.
IR ushered in 2009 with head turning "Naan kadavuL" and now with "Paa", he winds up with a great aplomb !!!

Hulkster
4th December 2009, 04:36 PM
PAA - The review

Film is very emotion centric, but do not believe that this is a tearjerker. In fact the only tears shed are at the last five minutes of the film. Otherwise it is a tale woven with humour and relationships.

The film has excellent dialogues which keep the flow in tact and a simple screenplay. Characterization is probably the best as instead of creating a mother character that is waiting for the end of her son's life, he has brought out a independent feminist who has come into terms with life. Same goes with Abishek as his characterization sort of matches Auro's style of thinking who is a politician in this film. Balki has tried to fuse alot of wittiness in this movie just like Cheeni Kum to enhance the film.

Downside is the slightly villainous character who has not much scope in this film and the corruption angle which abishek is trying to omit, both of which are not really needed for the story(i guess director was trying to justify abishek's style of thinking and his vision as a politician but it takes the gloss off the story a little bit).

Amitabh really pulls it off although you can't see alot of expressions due to his make up until the end where you start noticing them. His walking style looks like pithamagan vikram but that is offset from the viewer due to his dialogue delivery. Abishek, Vidya and the rest perform adequately.

PC Sreeram's cinematography is excellent as ever and so is thalaivar's music. For such a film, a minimal background score is the best and thalaivar has performed that admirably. But you will really cry when it comes to the climax as thalaivar slowly builds up the impending tragedy with his score. Despite the predictability of what is going to happen, the music makes you feel the impending sadness and when it happens you just let your tears out(The genius of thalaivar is that he does not his score wail out when the finale happens, letting you feel the impact of the scene). Most of the songs are played fully although there are breaks where the characters will have a small dialogue and then the music continues. It is very effective as then you understand why the interlude and the charanam of the song goes in that manner.

Film is certainly a must watch. It is quite similar to Cheeni Kum with all the wittiness and characterization but you will never feel lost in any scene you see. Certainly a amazing film.

:clap:

sivasub
4th December 2009, 05:10 PM
[tscii:28c6d5fbbc]http://www.sindhtoday.net/news/1/78048.htm

But laudable parts of the film are P.C. Sreeram’s cinematography and Ilaiyaraaja’s music.[/tscii:28c6d5fbbc]

Sanjeevi
4th December 2009, 07:05 PM
Deleted wrong info :)

krish244
4th December 2009, 07:08 PM
BigB is flying down to chennai to show the movie to IR. Nice gesture indeed.

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/2009/12/04/13542/

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
4th December 2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Paa/550000/

"A great score by Ilaiyaraja, some lilting lyrics by Swanand Kirkire, and the kind of cinematography by PC Sreeram (lots of overhead shots) which makes you believe a six foot plus sixty plus could conceivably be an affecting pre-teen, are all enjoyable"

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/review/11771.html

On the technical vistas, the film scores brownie points. Musical score by Ilayaraja is astounding and adds more enhancements to the eye-catching visuals of P.C. Sriram.

Krishnan

raagas
4th December 2009, 07:26 PM
BigB is flying down to chennai to show the movie to IR. Nice gesture indeed.

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/2009/12/04/13542/

thanks,

Krishnan

Wow! I always felt that Amitabh might have respect/liking for ilaiyaraaja.Somehow. May be his personal taste made me feel so.

raagas
4th December 2009, 07:28 PM
The song "Unn Vaazhve" from Madhiya Chennai.. the 2nd interlude is the work of a genius. Outstanding. I love the way the jazztrap kit is being used there. And it so much sounds like Ranjit Barot playing. Does anyone know if he played for IR? or in this song? Because the style of playing resembles Ranjit Barot's style.

rajaalltheway
4th December 2009, 08:47 PM
[tscii:2f06b26c70] After Auro's death, as his parents weep, a background song goes: Meri Maa Teri Hai Mere Baad.
These are sizeable bumps-ND TV Movies Paa Review

Ilaiya Raja’s musical score soothingly works on a subconscious level. -Economictimes.Indiatimes.com Paa review

Ilaiyaraaja's music is soothing.-entertainment.oneindia[/tscii:2f06b26c70]

app_engine
4th December 2009, 08:58 PM
ஒரு அதி மேதாவி வடக்கில் பா இசையமைப்பாளரை 'சோக்கர்'னு எல்லாரும் சொல்லுவதாகவும், இல்லை என்று நிரூபித்தால் தான் எழுதுவதையே நிறுத்திவிடப்போவதாகவும் தன் வலைத்தளத்தில் வீம்பளந்திருந்திருந்ததாக இங்கே சுட்டிக்காட்டி இருந்தார்கள்.

இந்த எல்லா விமர்சனங்களையும் படித்தவுடன் அவர் உடனே வெட்கி, நாணி, ஒன்று எழுதுவதை நிறுத்தவோ அல்லது குறைந்த பட்சம் மன்னிப்பு கேட்கவோ செய்வாரா என்று பார்க்கலாம். (A fine opportunity for him to prove that he is still human and not something else)

Shankar.P
4th December 2009, 09:07 PM
Paa has a melodious soundtrack, but it is actually the background score that stands out big time. Don't miss the innovative opening titles, which set the pace for the film's straight-out-of-life narrative. Paa might fall short of greatness but has a positive, feel good graph that stays with you for long.

Verdict: Far from being boring or heavy on the senses, this is a simple film for the entire family. Take your Maa and Paa along and you wont regret it.

Rating: 3.5/5

http://buzz18.in.com/reviews/movies/review-big-bs-paa/173012/0

Shankar.P
4th December 2009, 09:14 PM
[tscii:dd9534e8b7]Apart from performances, ‘Paa’ is propped by Ilayaraja’s soulful tunes and PC Sreeram’s simple yet slick cinematography.

http://www.apunkachoice.com/titles/paa/paa/mid_29954/reviews-editor/[/tscii:dd9534e8b7]

tvsankar
4th December 2009, 09:48 PM
ஒரு அதி மேதாவி வடக்கில் பா இசையமைப்பாளரை 'சோக்கர்'னு எல்லாரும் சொல்லுவதாகவும், இல்லை என்று நிரூபித்தால் தான் எழுதுவதையே நிறுத்திவிடப்போவதாகவும் தன் வலைத்தளத்தில் வீம்பளந்திருந்திருந்ததாக இங்கே சுட்டிக்காட்டி இருந்தார்கள்.

இந்த எல்லா விமர்சனங்களையும் படித்தவுடன் அவர் உடனே வெட்கி, நாணி, ஒன்று எழுதுவதை நிறுத்தவோ அல்ல்து குறைந்த பட்சம் மன்னிப்பு கேட்கவோ செய்வாரா என்று பார்க்கலாம். (A fine opportunity for him to prove that he is still human and not something else)

app,
pl ignore this idiot. Music knowledge illadha oru
pirapa avar pirandhudadhu avar thappu ilai.
adhanal ipadi than sollidnae irupar.

kandipa - value pannadheenga...........
inum inum neraiya pesa porar ivar...

oru blog la parthen.. Ivarai patri pazhicha - ivaruku
super a kobam varudhu.
idhu dhan enaku puriayalai..... :D

idhuuvm nalladhu dhan .. - IR ai pidikadhavanga kuda
ukkandhu yosichu., ivarai thitta poranga..

apadi - indirect a - ivar - IR fans ai ready panrar..

adhanala - nanraga ularatum indha medhavi.....

app_engine
4th December 2009, 10:21 PM
Usha chEchi,
Yes, that character has to be ignored - as long as he makes any statement about music himself. Also as long as his pronouncements are not brought into the hub.

This case was different, it was challenging that everyone in north supposedly agrees with him. (இல்லாட்டி மீசையை எடுத்துக்குறேன், மொட்டையடிச்சுக்குறேன் மாதிரி வீறாப்பாப்பேசினதாக்கேள்வி).

And it was brought into the hub, also widely publicised in the blog world because it was supposedly a response to kumudam arasu badhil for a question involving IR & that man.

So, just setting matters in perspective for the onlookers :-)

கேக்குறதுக்கு நாதி இல்லைன்னு இது மாதிரி இன்னும் ரொம்ப வீம்பு பண்ணக்கூடாதில்ல?

At the minimum, people (i.e. hubbers) should understand what kind of வெத்து வேட்டு this fellow is :-)

tvsankar
4th December 2009, 10:37 PM
app,
neenga sonna correct aga than irukum..

Ivar - IR ai pazhikara varai - ivarai
naama pazhichudalam.
Tats all.

Foreign madhiri irundhal - . Image ai spoil panrar nu -

Chaaru melae
IR case podalam.

jaiganes
4th December 2009, 10:38 PM
Usha chEchi,
Yes, that character has to be ignored - as long as he makes any statement about music himself. Also as long as his pronouncements are not brought into the hub.

This case was different, it was challenging that everyone in north supposedly agrees with him. (இல்லாட்டி மீசையை எடுத்துக்குறேன், மொட்டையடிச்சுக்குறேன் மாதிரி வீறாப்பாப்பேசினதாக்கேள்வி).

And it was brought into the hub, also widely publicised in the blog world because it was supposedly a response to kumudam arasu badhil for a question involving IR & that man.

So, just setting matters in perspective for the onlookers :-)

கேக்குறதுக்கு நாதி இல்லைன்னு இது மாதிரி இன்னும் ரொம்ப வீம்பு பண்ணக்கூடாதில்ல?

At the minimum, people (i.e. hubbers) should understand what kind of வெத்து வேட்டு this fellow is :-)
பைத்தியத்தை சுத்தி பத்து பேர் இருப்பது உலக இயல்பு.
இதுக்கு போயி அலட்டிக்கலாமா?

sivasub
4th December 2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.india-forums.com/bollywood/article.asp?id=11885

Ilaiyaraja's music is soothing and at times teases and tickles you.

Also...

The picturization of songs are beautiful and actually adds sense to the story. For example, Ittefaq se beautifully portrays the journey of Vidhya from being 'so-in-love' with Amol to the twin pack pregnancy kit.

Bala (Karthik)
5th December 2009, 12:36 AM
Usha Ma'am,
Ivana ellam summa vidapdaadhu ma. Keppaar illama thirinjittrukkaan. Somebody's got to do something so that he retires from writing and takes up other stuff which would suit him like gardening or eating peanuts in Paris pubs. "Ignore him", "braking dogs" funda ellam velaikkagaadhu-nga. What did Ilaiyaraaja do to him?
Thalabadhi la Sri Vidhya solra maadhiri "Edhavadhu seyyanum Arjun, edhavadhu seyyanum"!

tvsankar
5th December 2009, 01:00 AM
Bala,
hahaha.nijam dhan.

kedudhalana endha seyalukum nichayam mudivu iruku Bala.

adhu eppadi yarala nu dhan en yosanai.......

indha manushan - Raaja vai matum ilai. neraiya perai
ipadi than pazhichindu kulir kayarar....

adhu asingam nu kadavul dhan avanuku unarthanam.....

Bala (Karthik)
5th December 2009, 01:07 AM
The greatest creator in Indian film history Raaja, my idol Kamal, rendu perayum vaippu kedaikkalennaalum thedi vaangi kizhippaan :twisted:

Many people criticize Raaja, Kamal or anyone for that matter, and sometimes rightfully so but in his case its not criticism at all, its something else.

tvsankar
5th December 2009, 01:19 AM
Many people criticize Raaja, Kamal or anyone for that matter, and sometimes rightfully so but in his case its not criticism at all, its something else.

yes. mootai poochi madhiri... :lol:

jaiganes
5th December 2009, 01:25 AM
[tscii:02691711d1]
Usha Ma'am,
Ivana ellam summa vidapdaadhu ma. Keppaar illama thirinjittrukkaan. Somebody's got to do something so that he retires from writing and takes up other stuff which would suit him like gardening or eating peanuts in Paris pubs. "Ignore him", "braking dogs" funda ellam velaikkagaadhu-nga. What did Ilaiyaraaja do to him?
Thalabadhi la Sri Vidhya solra maadhiri "Edhavadhu seyyanum Arjun, edhavadhu seyyanum"!

அவருக்கு அவர் கருத்து சுதந்திரம்.
அதை எப்படி பயன்படுத்துவது என்று தெரியவில்லை.
காழ்ப்பு மட்டுமே கருத்து என்று குழம்பிப்போய் இருக்கிறார்.
இந்தக்கடையில் நாம் விற்பதற்கு எதுவும் இல்லை.
விட்டுத்தள்ளத்தான் வேண்டும். இல்லையென்றால் இளையராஜா மற்றும் கமல் இரசிகர்களின் பாசிச பிராமணிய வெறியாட்டம் என்று ஒரு பதிவு போட்டு ஸைட் பேஜ் ஹிட்ஸைப்பெருக்கிக்கொள்வார் அவர். இது போன்ற ஜந்துக்களின் பிளாக்குகளை விசித்திர விலங்குகளின் நேஷனல் ஜியோக்ராபிக் நிகழ்ச்சி பார்ப்பது போல பார்க்க வேண்டியது தான்.

இந்த காலம் உண்மையான கலைஞர்களுக்கானது இல்லை என்பது சில வலை இசை ஞானிகளின் ‘அற்புதமான’ குறு விமரிசனக்குப்பைகளைப்பார்த்தாலே புரிந்துவிடும்.[/tscii:02691711d1]

tvsankar
5th December 2009, 01:41 AM
இது போன்ற ஜந்துக்களின் பிளாக்குகளை விசித்திர விலங்குகளின் நேஷனல் ஜியோக்ராபிக் நிகழ்ச்சி பார்ப்பது போல பார்க்க வேண்டியது தான்.

very nice comments jaiganes. hahahhaha....

adhan sonnen - mootai poochi nu........

tvsankar
5th December 2009, 01:43 AM
kelambaren jaiganes.
Good night to you and Bala.

app_engine
5th December 2009, 01:49 AM
jaiganesh,

I've stopped looking at his blog long back. The reactions are only when something is brought into hub (esp IR section). After all, there're only a handful of us who are active posters here while most others are silent observers. So, I think it's in order to clarify matters / show his colors etc to those 1000's of silent observers, some of who may be thinking that this fellow is indeed credible :-(

This pA-joker thing is a clear case where he is totally exposed as a busswANam (unless he stops writing / apologises) !

Also his ugly face of unadultered IR-hate, that too without any basis, is showcased!

jaiganes
5th December 2009, 02:23 AM
jaiganesh,

I've stopped looking at his blog long back. The reactions are only when something is brought into hub (esp IR section). After all, there're only a handful of us who are active posters here while most others are silent observers. So, I think it's in order to clarify matters / show his colors etc to those 1000's of silent observers, some of who may be thinking that this fellow is indeed credible :-(

This pA-joker thing is a clear case where he is totally exposed as a busswANam (unless he stops writing / apologises) !

Also his ugly face of unadultered IR-hate, that too without any basis, is showcased!

தூங்கறது மாதிரி நடிக்கிரவரைப்பத்தி நாம என்ன சொல்றது பாஸ். நமக்கு இன்னும் கேக்காத எத்தனையோ ராசப்பு பாட்டிருக்கு. அந்தாள் கைல வீசரத்துக்கு கல் மட்டுமே இருக்கு. விடுங்க பாஸ்.

mohanraja
5th December 2009, 08:50 AM
vanakkam

read my comments abt our own charu...

www.chandanaar.blogspot.com

svbp007
5th December 2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.idlebrain.com/news/functions/audio-omshanti.html

Hulkster
5th December 2009, 09:12 AM
Reading through all the comments one by one, thalaivar's comment made me laugh when he said i do not know music. Its like he was unintentionally mocking them :lol2:

Four songs, can't wait for the audio to come around. :bluejump:

Telugu Industry must be revering thalaivar as some sort of God, aalu aalukku kaalil vizhuraanga :frightened:.

vel
5th December 2009, 10:34 AM
vanakkam

read my comments abt our own charu...

mohan, dont strain yourself...avan paavam oru mana noyaali...kudaikkul mazhai paarthiban pola he is living in his own world...he got terribly upset that kumudam called him a joker :lol:

raagas
5th December 2009, 10:42 AM
Four songs, can't wait for the audio to come around. :bluejump:

Only 4 songs :( typical IR telugu films (barring the ones by Vamsy) always used to have 6 songs atleast.

Hulkster
5th December 2009, 11:24 AM
Judging from the film it seems more script based, so director might have wanted less songs to let the movie flow seamlessly. Not a problem for us as we have alot of songs to keep us accompanied already :lol2:

K
5th December 2009, 12:54 PM
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/2009/12/paa.html

inthanga PAA

Bala (Karthik)
5th December 2009, 01:16 PM
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/2009/12/paa.html

inthanga PAA

இளையராஜா எங்கே போனாலும் துரத்திச் சென்று கேட்டுப் பரவசமடையும் ரசிகர் கூட்டம் உண்டு. இந்த ஆண்டு இளையராஜாவுக்கு இந்திய அளவில் கிடைத்த ஆஸ்கார் இந்த "பா". இசைஞானிக்கு மாற்றீடாக இந்தப் படத்தில் இன்னொரு ஜீவனை நினைத்துப் பார்க்கவே முடியவில்லை.
"புத்தம் புதுக்காலை பொன்னிற வேளை " என்ற பாடல் அலைகள் ஓய்வதில்லை படத்துக்காக மெட்டுக் கட்டி இசையமைத்து ஆனால் படத்தில் வராத பாடல். ஆனால் 28 வருஷங்களுக்குப் பின்னர் "Halke se bhole" என்று குழந்தைகள் கூட்டம் கோரசாகப் பாடும் பாடலாக எடுக்கப்பட்டு திரையில் அதைக் காணும் போது மயிர்க்கால்கள் குத்திட்டு நிற்கும் அளவுக்கு அந்தச் சூழ்நிலை அமைக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும்.
"மூடி மூடி" பாடல் உட்பட எல்லாப் பாடல்களையும் தேவையில்லாமல் நுழைக்காது இலாவகமாகக் காட்டி அந்தப் பாடல்களின் சூழ்நிலையோடு பொருத்திப் பார்க்கும் போது மெய்சிலிர்க்கின்றது. இளையராஜாவின் பாடல்களை குப்பனும் சுப்பனும் ரீமிக்ஸ் ஆக்கிக் கொல்லும் இந்தக் காலத்தில் தானே விதவிதமான படையலாக மீளத் தரும் போது அதன் சுகந்தமே தனி தான்.
படத்தின் மெயின் தீம் இசையான அந்த வயலின்களின் ஆவர்த்தனத்தை மகிழ்ச்சி, சோகம் என்று விதவிதமாகக் கலவையாகக் காட்டியது ஒரு பக்கம். பாத்திரங்கள் மெளனிக்கும் போது மெளனித்து, பீறிடும் போது ஆர்ப்பரித்துக் கலக்கியிருக்கிறது இசைஞானியின் பின்னணி இசை. அம்பேத்கர் நகர் என்ற வறியோர் பகுதியில் நடக்கும் அரசியல் பரப்புக் காட்சியில் தளபதியில் கலெக்டர் அரவிந்த்சாமிக்குப் பின்னணியில் ஒலித்த அதே இசை மீளவும் வந்து நிரப்புகிறது. படத்தின் ஒரு காட்சியில் அபிஷேக்கின் மொபைல் போன் ஒலிக்கும் ரிங் டோன் இசை "பல்லவி அனுபல்லவி" படத்தில் வரும் பாடலின் இசைவடிவமாகத் தந்து கிடைத்த சந்து பொந்துகளையும் இசையால் நிரப்பி விடுகிறார். இசைஞானிக்குத் தேவை இப்படியான திறமையாக வேலை வாங்கக் கூடிய ஒரு நல்ல இயக்குனர்.
:goosebumps: :yes: :notworthy:

Hulk,
did you notice this?

அம்பேத்கர் நகர் என்ற வறியோர் பகுதியில் நடக்கும் அரசியல் பரப்புக் காட்சியில் தளபதியில் கலெக்டர் அரவிந்த்சாமிக்குப் பின்னணியில் ஒலித்த அதே இசை மீளவும் வந்து நிரப்புகிறது

Sureshs65
5th December 2009, 01:21 PM
Speaking in the 'Om Shanthi' music launch Murali Mohan had stated that he worked in a movie called 'Gajalakshmi' which had music by Raja. Any idea which movie was this? Was it a remake of some Tamil movie? The movie doesn't ring a bell to me.

Sureshs65
5th December 2009, 01:32 PM
[tscii:c809b41b26]
இந்த காலம் உண்மையான கலைஞர்களுக்கானது இல்லை என்பது சில வலை இசை ஞானிகளின் ‘அற்புதமான’ குறு விமரிசனக்குப்பைகளைப்பார்த்தாலே புரிந்துவிடும்.[/tscii:c809b41b26]

Very very true Jai. Many a times you feel no one has the patience to listen to a creation!!Judgments are passed very easily and hand waving arguments abound.

I understand why app_eng brought up this topic. As he says, some of the silent fans here may be mystified by Charu's attack and this is one of way of telling everyone not to take anything that Charu writes about music seriously.

sivasub
5th December 2009, 01:50 PM
[tscii:c50c805409]http://telegraphindia.com/1091205/jsp/entertainment/story_11822437.jsp

Paa wouldn’t have been the experience it is without Ilaiyaraja’s masterful orchestration underlining the overriding emotions of the scenes. Also, the way his song Udhi udhi is used in times happy and sad is commendable.[/tscii:c50c805409]

sivasub
5th December 2009, 01:51 PM
http://telegraphindia.com/1091205/images/paa_r.jpg

6.5 for music

Bala (Karthik)
5th December 2009, 02:07 PM
North Indian number system different-o?

Hulkster
5th December 2009, 02:33 PM
Hulk,
did you notice this?

அம்பேத்கர் நகர் என்ற வறியோர் பகுதியில் நடக்கும் அரசியல் பரப்புக் காட்சியில் தளபதியில் கலெக்டர் அரவிந்த்சாமிக்குப் பின்னணியில் ஒலித்த அதே இசை மீளவும் வந்து நிரப்புகிறது

Noticed that music but the similarity is due to the violins being used. There was a different variation to the one used in PAA while thalapathy had more grandeur in the orchestration for that scene.

If you guys even watch the film, you will realise that the PAA theme or rather the celtic piece of kaatu vazhi comes in many forms with each matching the mood of the scene. Trust thalaivar to come up with n versions for a x category. :D

tvsankar
5th December 2009, 04:38 PM
about Chaaru

ivaruku hindi theriyadha..

theirndhal hindi la blog pottu irundhu irukanam

apodhu dhan - hindi people ku chaaru voda
view puriyum.

ipo tooooooooo late..

paa songs cd - nalla sale aradhuku kaaranamae
chaaru dhan....
hahhaa
ivar IR ai pazhika pazhika
padikaravangaluku oru aarvam
vandhu IR songs kaekaranga... Cd yum vanguvanga

agaiyal,

IR in recent days album nalla sale aradhuku

kaaranam Chaaru dhan...
Chaaru - IR ai pazhikaradhai niruthinal
naan varutha paduven.....

kalnayak
5th December 2009, 04:53 PM
சூரியனை பார்த்து நாய் குலைக்குறதுக்கு இங்கே நிறைய பேர் வருந்த படறீங்க. சாரு தன்னை பத்தி பல பேர் பேசணும்னு இதே வேலைய தொடர்ந்து பண்ணுறார்.

tvsankar
5th December 2009, 05:35 PM
சூரியனை பார்த்து நாய் குலைக்குறதுக்கு இங்கே நிறைய பேர் வருந்த படறீங்க. சாரு தன்னை பத்தி பல பேர் பேசணும்னு இதே வேலைய தொடர்ந்து பண்ணுறார்.

pesa padanam nu asai irundhal - nalladha ezhudhi,
nalladhai seidhu per vanga vendiyadhu dhanae.

ASINGAMA per vanga asai padarar - idhai unara

anniki - nejamavae - ezhudharadhai niruthiduvar.........

or

IR ai thitti ezhudha - money vangararo....

panathukaga idhai seiyararo.......

nalla vidhama ezhudhi - money earn panna mudiyalai pola iruku.

panam thevai pola iruku.... adhukaga indha velaiyai
seiyarar pola iruku...

yar ellam munnuku vandhu irukirargalo - avargalai ellam
pazhikarar..

reason - money aga than irukanam. ipadi thitti ezhudhi
panam sambadhikarar pola iruku....

romba asingam idhu.

Sureshs65
5th December 2009, 06:04 PM
I think all people here would agree that we should have a ban against discussing Charu here for the next one year, however provocative his statements may be. As Plum had once said, this man tries to get the worst out of people and it is better for us if we don't discuss him or post anything that he says here. Why give him the free publicity which is what he is seeking.

Since the ban is in effect, no will will reply to this post, even if they agree with it :lol:

Hulkster
5th December 2009, 06:07 PM
Avarakku yethakku pa 3 pages. Thalaivarey evar mathiri 100 kosugalei patri kavalaiyey pada mattaar, nammakku yethukku stress, vittudunga. :lol2:

Has Om Shanti Om Audio come out in stores? Ever since i heard that catchy Om Shanti Om bit, i cannot wait for the audio to come. :bluejump:

app_engine
5th December 2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-etw-paa4-2009dec05,0,2126005.story

From this review by one Kevin Thomas :

The father-son Bollywood soap is lush in music and scenery but over-ripe in length.
The film abounds with lush music, scenery and fancy editing flourishes in the elaborate Bollywood tradition.

Simple proof that the lack of worldwide recognition of IR's music was purely a case of "non-access" from the PoV of others or "non-focus" from IR's PoV.

I've felt the same thing whenever I play / showcase any IR song to ANY of my local friends here, regardless of their musical background or inclinations.

Saagar
5th December 2009, 07:20 PM
Om Shanti - IR form continues, all songs are good on first hearing. Highlight being Om Shanti & China Polike (Kunal Ganjawala seems to be IR's new favourite & he's done full justice to the song - like Edaya Bagilu, along with Sunidhi this time)

Track List :
1.Chinna Polike Kunal Ganjawala,Sunidhi Chauhan
2.Flying On The Moon Priya
3.Chinna Polike(Sad) Kunal Ganjawala
4.Ottesi Chebutha Karthik
5.Chinna Polike(Sad) Sunidhi Chauhan
6.Om Shanthi Toshi

Hulkster
5th December 2009, 08:25 PM
Om Shanti must have the most trendiest orchestration thalaivar has given in terms of synth. This one will certainly take time to sink in due to the effects of SK and Paa but trust me, you guys will slowly be usurped by this gem. :clap:

Hulkster
5th December 2009, 08:59 PM
Ok my doubts have been confirmed, thalaivar has found a new genre(i mean its always Ilaiyaraaja genre but) using synthesizer which must be a amalgation of dozens of genres combined using his orchestration technique.

Om Shanti title song and the hero introduction song Ottesi Chebutha bear testimony to this. I think the song that started off this experimentation must be Sollumvarai Kaadhal of Kangalum Kavipaaduthey and this album is the peak of it all. Prepare for more masterblasts of this new genre. :notworthy:

Hulkster
5th December 2009, 09:03 PM
On a final note, i am quite certain that blog reviews are going to go past this without hearing properly and term all of them as embarrassing,demise of a master who was at the peak in his 80s and dated feel etc. :lol2: :rotfl2:

Sanjeevi
5th December 2009, 11:12 PM
Listening Om Shanthi songs

the orchestration :omg:

writeface
5th December 2009, 11:44 PM
Where can I find OSO songs online?

Gokul

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 12:12 AM
Gokul,

It is just 'Om shanthi' I think. I found this link. Currently downloading. Check it out.

http://www.hotklix.com/link/entertainment/music/OM-SHANTHI-TELUGU-MOVIE-MP3-AUDIO-SONGS-FREE-DOWNLOAD

p
6th December 2009, 12:30 AM
ottessi chebutha :thumbsup:

p
6th December 2009, 12:33 AM
Nice promo for Suryakanthi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSOaLMIvd0&feature=player_embedded

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 12:34 AM
Suryakanthi 'edaya baagilu' conjures up images of the night for some reason. Maybe it is because we were told earlier that it is like a Broadway musical. The whole mood created is one of a night time stage with the hero on the piano focus lights focusing on the hero and heroine as they sing.

Pretty pathetic imagination I would say. One reason why I am not a director :)

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 12:49 AM
saagar,

Any credits on who is the lyricist(s) ?

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 01:01 AM
Om Shanthi :thumbsup:

You have to do two difficult things before you approach 'Om Shanthi'. First erase 'Razhassi Raja' and 'Paa' from your mind. Next prepare yourself for an album dominated by synth. Once you are ready you will find 'Om Shanthi' to be a charming album. This is after my very first listen.

To the elder Raja fan, 'China Polike' with its typical Raja melody will appeal instantly. Reminds me of old Hindi melodies, the same way 'Swapnangal Kannezhudiya' reminded me of vintage Hindi melodies. Those looking for some modern / trendy orchestration will find 'Om Shanthi' and 'Ottessi Chebutha' very attractive. Will give it a couple of more listens before writing a review. I am very sure that I will be listening to 'Chinna Polike' for a long time.

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 01:10 AM
'Flying on the Moon' : A wonderful song. The first interlude is good and reminds me a bit of the 'Paa' theme briefly. The second interlude on sax is lovely as well. Follows the trend of the latest Raja interludes.

And to the bass lovers check out how bass follows the 'china polika' in the charanams.

Saagar
6th December 2009, 01:11 AM
Suresh,

The credits for lyrics are :

Chinna Polike Ananth Sriram
Flying On The Moon Vanamaali
Ottesi Chebutha Ramajogayya Sastry
Om Shanthi Ananth Sriram

ramk1
6th December 2009, 01:53 AM
Thalaivar saapadu poda aarambichutaru. Hope the 3 course meal has started. :-))))

Fliflo
6th December 2009, 02:19 AM
http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14922388

app_engine
6th December 2009, 05:09 AM
http://www.desihits.com/news/view/film-review-paa-20091205

The Soundtrack:
The soundtrack is one of emotional ballads which is what the movie calls for. Not trying to conform to Bollywood standards by creating dance numbers, this soundtrack is a great compliment to the film.

:D

app_engine
6th December 2009, 05:12 AM
[tscii:e8ea4565c2]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Auro-triumphs-over-Amitabh-in-Paa/articleshow/5303812.cms

The asymmetry of the world that Balkrishnan’s characters inhabit is richly complemented by the technical virtuosity and packaging. P.C. Sreeram’s cinematography captures the greenery of the outdoors and the cosy comforts of the interiors with seamless visual correctness. Ilaiyaaraja’s melodies weave themselves into Auro’s tale tenderly.

From what I see, the reviewers generally appreciate the music better than in the case of CK :-) Good improvement :-)
[/tscii:e8ea4565c2]

writeface
6th December 2009, 06:52 AM
Gokul,

It is just 'Om shanthi' I think. I found this link. Currently downloading. Check it out.

http://www.hotklix.com/link/entertainment/music/OM-SHANTHI-TELUGU-MOVIE-MP3-AUDIO-SONGS-FREE-DOWNLOAD

Thanks Suresh. I searched for OSO and came across some hindi songs, What horor! :-)

I just needed to listen to "Chinna Polike" only once to realize its worth. Nice Bass & excellent singing! Other tunes are yet to grow on me.

I am now hooked to the recurring piano melody in Mauni naanu. Beautiful song. Is it பேராசை to wish for SPB? :-) However Karthik has done a great job. The interludes are fantastic.

-Gokul

irir123
6th December 2009, 07:20 AM
[tscii:d8c8bab18e]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Auro-triumphs-over-Amitabh-in-Paa/articleshow/5303812.cms

The asymmetry of the world that Balkrishnan’s characters inhabit is richly complemented by the technical virtuosity and packaging. P.C. Sreeram’s cinematography captures the greenery of the outdoors and the cosy comforts of the interiors with seamless visual correctness. Ilaiyaaraja’s melodies weave themselves into Auro’s tale tenderly.

From what I see, the reviewers generally appreciate the music better than in the case of CK :-) Good improvement :-)
[/tscii:d8c8bab18e]

donno why we care much abt these bunch of morons - the same TOIlet paper of india, dismissed IRs bgm in Hey Ram (one of the best works of IR)! so, you see the actor, and the cast does matter - i swear had someone other than Bachan, say Naseeruddin Shah had done the role of Auro, IR's music wud not have found this much applause!

i can decide abt the score (with an inbuilt objectivity that has built in me despite IR's genius!) only after i watch the film this weekend

rajasaranam
6th December 2009, 09:27 AM
Om Shanthi songs are good in the First listen.

Hulkster,

Puthu Genre ellam illai it has been a part of his music Evolution. The style of 'Ottesu Chepatha' faintly reminds me of 'Marcony Kanipattava' from Shambu.

app_engine
6th December 2009, 10:14 AM
hichki-hichki on loop the whole evening while driving around :-)

Love to see IR back to his youthful days with an absolutely don't care attitude with this song :-) Minimal orchestration yet catchy (like niththam niththam nelluchchOru - check out the second stanza and the ending, very few instruments yet very effective).

My most preferred part of this song is the ending line of each saraNam - completely bowled! elegant, stylish...touche!

raagas
6th December 2009, 10:33 AM
For me, somehow only Chinna Polike seems to be impressive. The problem with other songs, to me, seems that I dont find IR in them. still searching (and thats a problem.. that i have to search for IR). There is a certain level of balance of Synth that i enjoy in IR songs. the moment he goes over that, i cannot enjoy.

At times,i see some staunch IR fans who criticize other MDs by defending IR's traditional approach of "original instruments,lesser dependence on synth(no loops.. etc)" etc.Sometimes even i take pride in half of that argument, ie., IR's strength in original instruments and fine dependence on technology. But then, there are times when IR lets me down completely,by going high on synth,using loops etc.Infact i think IR fans shouldnt criticize other MDs,particularly about these aspects.

Punnaimaran
6th December 2009, 11:27 AM
I think all people here would agree that we should have a ban against discussing Charu here for the next one year, however provocative his statements may be. As Plum had once said, this man tries to get the worst out of people and it is better for us if we don't discuss him or post anything that he says here. Why give him the free publicity which is what he is seeking.

Since the ban is in effect, no will will reply to this post, even if they agree with it :lol:

My signature will be apt in his case !! :D

Hulkster
6th December 2009, 11:35 AM
No raagas, like i said it is synth but he is doing it in such a way where you will realise its totally a new brand thats coming out. Like i said alot of "staunch" raaja fans will say this but they have failed to realise thalaivar in that manner. Thalaivar is just not all manual, his style can be woven into any form of instrumentation and that itself stretches beyond infinity. This is the problem with inetk's reviews as well.

To accept his music, you must first realise that his music is not bound through instrumentation, what he can do with a tabla, a set of violins and a acoustic guitar can be achieved with synth as well, its not the base that matters but the format that matters. :D

RS,
Music evolution sounds great. I think thats how we shall term it. The age of golden raaja has left. Now its the age of techno raaja. :victory:

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 12:14 PM
Punnaimaran,

:rotfl3:

Saagar
6th December 2009, 12:36 PM
On TOI review, Not sure about the reviewer of Hey ram, but Subhash K Jha is an adrent fan of IR & has consistently written highly abt him in TOI/Filmfare in all his reviews/articles. He's also consistently enlightened Hindi listeners about copies of IR tunes in Hindi songs on most of reviews from Anand Milind days.

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 12:41 PM
raagas,

I fully appreciate how you feel. I probably felt the same a few years earlier. At the same time I feel an artist dies once he knows his audience well and just caters to them. I am sure Raja knows what lot of his hard core fans desire and he can give it in good measure as 'swapnangal', 'yenidu', 'kunnathe' and 'chinna polike' shows us. Instead, he is pushing himself into newer and newer territories since he wants to keep himself alive as an artist. We may or may not like what comes up newly but we need to accept the fact that Raja is also evolving his aesthetics in the new environment, as RS says. So you will have some songs which will not make an impression on us like some of the synth hero introduction songs in recent times. But at the same time we will get songs like 'ilavayasu', 'hodadavane' which are quite good. We also get some superb stuff like 'mudi mudi' from this new Raja.

Finding the old Raja may be a bit of a problem in some of the songs, no doubt but if I listen keenly he appears!! In the sense, his precision is still there and the song structure has an unity which he always brings along but even there he is experimenting. The interludes to charanam nowadays has jumps a la jazz stuff. While first it may be a bit disconcerting, you will get used to it if you think of it as a new deliberate style.

And BTW, IR fans are much much more critical of Raja's synth usage than they are about other MDs synth usage. Infact many of them are in awe with the way other MDs use the synth and wish Raja uses it like them. Many of their dreams have come true through 'Paa' :)

Saagar
6th December 2009, 12:47 PM
Thalaivar saapadu poda aarambichutaru. Hope the 3 course meal has started. :-))))

Very True. At least for IR, his output seems to be better with the number of films he's doing . His songs this year, when he has done about 21 films (17 straight films & 4 dubbed ones) is one of the bast in recent imes, than when he has done about 5 films in a year.

It's remniscent of the hey days when he used to compose for close to 50 films & still almost every film used to have some memorable scores - at least 1 ever lasting song. This year too, even the worst of films has at least 1 song that would outlive the life of the film or be remembered for the song atleast , even if the film is forgotten.

Hope we have a regular 3 course in 2010!

Saagar
6th December 2009, 12:49 PM
Any idea of the films in the pipeline for 2010?

Sanjeevi
6th December 2009, 12:55 PM

I am quite worrying because i don't find any big films for him

cry_sandiego
6th December 2009, 01:12 PM
Suresh,

I am facing the same problem as u have stated while listening to SK and OM Shanthi - The PR/Paa hangover is pretty dominating and seems to mask my objectivity on these songs..

On a first listen, Chinna Poolike is impressive though running on predictable IR lines..

In SK, Mauni Naanu made me hit repeat for a couple of times.. Solpa soundu is foot tapping but may not last long..until i discover some unique IR signatures on subsequent listens..

As of now, it looks like both are average albums but i have been pleasantly baffled by Kannukule like this very recently so i reserver my final judgement.. but either of these are going to topple NK/PR/Paa from the top 3 slots for 2009

Cheers
MSK

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 06:00 PM
MSK,

I understand your feeling. I think Suryakanthi would take some time to sink in since the 'Raja signature' is not very obvious in every song. I had to listen to 'edaya baagilu' multiple times before getting an hang of its structure as well as Raja's signature. You need to concentrate a bit more on this song while 'mouni naanu' is more vintage Raja. Same way I am getting a hang of 'Flying on the moon' from Om Shanthi. This is turning out to be an amazing song. Again 'chinna polike' is probably the easier to grasp from the vintage Raja angle. So we need to give more listens than usual for the new Raja in order to get a hang of what he is trying to do.

raagas
6th December 2009, 06:25 PM
Hulkster, Suresh,

the song reason some songs done work for me is not plain synth.because there are lot of songs, loaded with synth that get me excited.I dont know how they work. A case in point could be "Ninnu Vethiki vethiki" from Anumanaspadam.For that matter, even some of his 80s songs had futuristic synth (Kiss me Hello wrong number from Shiva). They worked. I am still to understand why certain synth songs work for me and some dont.A song like "Kalikonda Chamundi" from Pachakuthira or "Marachoru" from SMS, i feel, blatantly cries out that ilaiyaraaja is compromising to please certain audience. I find the soul missing. Something hints, in some songs, that Ilaiyaraaja himself doesnt enjoy so much of synth and is forced to add those loop-y layers just to make the song a hit.As if it is not coming from his heart.There are many examples, in his post-2000 works, where i felt so. At the same time, there are also many examples, in post 2000 works, where he used lot of synth, to make it groovy and i still liked them. For that matter, if i never heard "Thumbi Vaa" before, I would have worshipped Gumsum now.Just because i heard Thumbi Vaa, i feel Gumsum has excessive synth.

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 06:39 PM
My review of the Om Shanthi album.

Om Shanthi Om: (Singer: Toshi, Lyrics: Ananth Sriram): A trendy song. The song emphasizes the need of Shanthi for everyone. (No, not your next door neighbor but peace.) The synth starts the song with the 'Om Shanthi Om' chorus coming on. The synth continues the prelude and the beat loop continues into the pallavi. The pallavi ending is followed by the 'Om Shanthi Om'. A very nice peaceful effect in a beat driven song. The synthesizer work continues in the first interlude. The tune is quite nice in the charanam and keep up the energy. The lyrics are OK and are in keeping with the latest trend. The second interlude also starts off the same way as the first. Though supposed to be a beat dominated song, the melody does come through and I love the overall is peaceful. The surprise in this song is the voice which sings a Hindustani style 'Om Shanthi' towards the end of the second charanam.

Ottesi Cheputa: (Singer: Karthik, Lyrics: Ramajogayya Sastry) : Looks like a hero introduction song. The singer tells that he is bound to become a super star in the film world. Somewhat similar to the sentiments expressed in 'sullikuppam ganapathiku' of Madhiya Chennai. This is also a beat dominated song with Raja doing experiments with synth sounds, which start the prelude. Lot of energy in the pallavi section. Both this song and 'Om Shanthi' remind me of the songs in 'Sambhu'. The interlude has the synth playing a nice melody before experiments with sound are done. The synth then plays a shenoy like tune. The charanam keeps up the energy. The shenoy like playing of the synth continues in the second interlude followed by a veena like playing on the synth!! The lyrics are very simple and conversational. How big a hit this song would be will depend on the picturisation and the fate of the movie.

Flying on the Moon: (Singer: Priya, Lyrics: Vanamali) : The prelude starts with the synth guitar like sound. Then a chorus sings an English portion. A lovely rhythm follows the singer initially and more rhythm instruments join the singer. A lovely melody reminiscent of some songs that Raja gave for 'Kokila'. The first interlude is played on the keyboards and slowly the piano like sound ends the interlude. The charanams have more vigorous rhythm going on. The melodic quotient keeps increasing as the charanam proceeds. The second interlude has some lovely sax passages to which a chorus provides the counter melody. You can easily get Raja's signature if you follow the charanams closely. A superb melody with lovely orchestration. I thought the singer is just about OK. I like the way she sings 'Flying on the Moon' in a natural way without trying to be too western. Gives the song a different charm.

Chinna Polike: (Singers: Kunal Ganjawala and Sunidhi Chauhan, Lyrics: Ananth Sriram) : A superb prelude opens this song. What a play on the keyboard before the synth violins come in. The tune is such that you get sucked in immediately. The rhythm loop is very nice and the tune has all the twists and turns you expect from Raja. The first interlude is a lovely one played on the keyboard. The lovely melody continues in the charanam. What makes it more special is the way bass follows the charanam. Older melodies of Raja peep in now and then during the song. An excellent sax plays in the second interlude. Very jazzy second interlude with some nice drumming accompaniment. I found Sunidhi's diction very good. Kunal is so-so but both do a nice job in this song. The lyrics are good as well. As I had said earlier, this is one song which Raja fans will relate to easily and it is a lovely melody.

There are two more very short versions of 'Chinna Polike' by Kunal and Sunidhi respectively. Both neat numbers and very nice orchestration.

Overall I am very happy with the album. Two songs which sound similar to what Raja did in 'Shambu' and two songs more in tune with Raja of the yore.

Nice to see Raja working with new lyricist and new singers. Sunidhi has sung a few numbers this year for Raja and so has Kunal. (Maybe when they come from Mumbai, they make them sing more than one song?)

Hulkster
6th December 2009, 08:41 PM
And for the hero introduction song, in the past thalaivar just used to give the song the cold shoulder with just simplistic synth and less experimentation. In other words a just-to-fill-up-album space song.

But ever since Hodadavne his style seems to have changed for such songs. The orchestration flow continues in every aspect of that song and there is a more thalaivar-styled polished outlook for such songs. And they do get very addictive after a while :D

rooky
6th December 2009, 09:10 PM
[tscii:4a42acbb38]http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14922449

AB went out of his way to wax eloquent about Raja sir, who was in an excellent mood and reciprocated the mega star’s praises by saying in English: “ Amitji is the heart and soul of Paa, he has lived the role of Auro and is absolutely fantastic. The screenplay of Balki based on a short and simple story is brilliant.” [/tscii:4a42acbb38]

http://sify.com/movies/Big-B-watches-Paa-with-Ilayaraja-imagegallery-kollywood-jmgpnWaidaa.html

raagas
6th December 2009, 10:42 PM
I am still waiting for one stunner of an album by IR, which creates a music storm in telugu. He used to have such albums in 80s, where the whole state swayed to that album.Even Dalapathi was a hit. Antapuram, i think, was his last mega hit. all other albums, did find some admirers, but didnt make a major impact as such. I wish he dishes out one such album.and if having stars can guarantee that, then i wish some producer wakes up to book IR for a Nagarjuna/Venky film (given that chiranjeevi is busy otherwise ;) )

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 11:33 PM
raagas,

What you say is true. Long back RS said that as far as Telugu was concerned Raja is a retired MD. His last hit being 'Anthapuram'. Personally I liked 'Shambu' but that didn't make a dent in the box office. 'Mallepoovu' to me was a lovely album with some excellent songs matching what he did in the 80s but unfortunately the movie went down the drain. The success of 'Om Shanthi' will depend a lot on how the movie fares in the box office.

BTW, the sales guy in the shop I buy in Bangalore was quite enthusiastic about 'Om Shanthi' saying the songs are good and he didn't like 'Suryakanthi'. He said 'Bagyada Balegara' and 'Prem Kahani' were better. So in case of 'Suryakanthi' too the reach will depend on the fate of the film. But I am enjoying 'Suryakanthi' quite a lot.

Saagar
6th December 2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/52353.html

Bala (Karthik)
6th December 2009, 11:44 PM
Rajasaranam,
Can you confirm if the following are true/if you've heard about them?

Isaiyil thodangudhamma (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE2Y1Cu9sw8&feature=related)
Hope it was posted earlier, but this is a better version, I believe. Honestly, azhudhuttEn.
Though a fantastic rendition, no version of this song can be a patch on the original by Ajay Chakraborty (IMO this is the next best version). As an aside, the very idea of having a song in that situation was Raaja's if what i heard from a friend is correct, similar to "Chinnappa daas" (Kadalora Kavidhaigal). Enna oru understanding and vision :notworthy:
My friend says he remembers seeing Kamal say this in an interview. Won't be surprised if its thats indeed the case

He said a couple of other things he'd heard about. Someone like Rajasaranam can confirm the veracity.
1. Thambikku Endha Ooru, 'composition' (at least a part of it) was done from a hospital bed or something. Someone wrote it down from him it seems. Eerily similar to an episode in Mozart's life (as seen in the film Amadeus).
2. Guru (Malayalam) composition la kooda he was suffering from a serious skin infection. Remba sramathoda compose pannaaraam....

mohanraja
6th December 2009, 11:52 PM
நந்தலாலா இசையை பாராட்டுகிறார் 'இ(ம்)சை' விமர்சகர் சாரு ....
அடிச்சாண்டா பல்டி..

chandramohan..

eagle
6th December 2009, 11:53 PM
For a change from Charu

நந்தலாலா எனக்குத் தந்த மற்றொரு ஆச்சரியம், இளையராஜா. அவரது பின்னணி இசை இந்தப் படத்தின் தொனிக்கு ஏற்றாற்போலவே சர்வதேசத் தரத்தில் அமைந்திருந்தது. இளையராஜாவின் இசை வாழ்வில் இதுவே அவரது உச்சபட்ச சாதனையாக இருக்கும் என்பது என்னுடைய அனுமானம். நந்தலாலாவின் இசை பற்றியும் எழுதுவதற்கு நிறைய உள்ளது. படம் வெளிவந்த பிறகே அதைப் பற்றியும் எழுத முடியும்.

Bala (Karthik)
6th December 2009, 11:54 PM
அவரது பின்னணி இசை இந்தப் படத்தின் தொனிக்கு ஏற்றாற்போலவே சர்வதேசத் தரத்தில் அமைந்திருந்தது.
:lol:

mohanraja
6th December 2009, 11:58 PM
அய்யா தான் சர்வதேச தரக்கட்டுப்பாட்டு நிறுவனர் போல ..
எல்லாம் நேரம் தான்.. !

mohanraja
7th December 2009, 12:19 AM
ராஜா இது போன்ற விஷயங்களுக்கு எந்தவித reaction ம் காட்டாமல் இருப்பது தான் அவரது உண்மையான ஆளுமையை காட்டுகிறது.
ஆனால் மிஷ்கின் கமல் இணையும் படத்தில் ராஜா இருப்பாரா என்பது சந்தேகமே..

Sanjeevi
7th December 2009, 12:21 AM
There are some unconfirmed news Next kamal film will be directed by VishnuVarthan. If then MD will be YSR

Saagar
7th December 2009, 12:23 AM

I am quite worrying because i don't find any big films for him

Sanjeevi,

Although SRK,Happi are listed in Hindi for 2010, the current big one seems to be "Mausam" starring Shahid kapoor, which is to start in Jan for which IR is supposed recording in Budapest in October from the news posted in a couple of websites.

The other one recently announced is Sathyan Anthikkads 50th film.

Although not authoratative, Interestingly, Wikipedia IR page carries a 2011 cell in "Hindi". For other languages even 2010 is not mentioned! Is the focus going to shift?!

mohanraja
7th December 2009, 12:33 AM
According to news 'Mausam' doesn't have music of Raja. BSO has been used for 'Happi' only.
But the success of 'Paa' will bring more bollywood projects for raja.

Saagar
7th December 2009, 12:47 AM
ராஜா இது போன்ற விஷயங்களுக்கு எந்தவித reaction ம் காட்டாமல் இருப்பது தான் அவரது உண்மையான ஆளுமையை காட்டுகிறது.
ஆனால் மிஷ்கின் கமல் இணையும் படத்தில் ராஜா இருப்பாரா என்பது சந்தேகமே..

The best thing about Paa 's sucess (Music) all over India is that it puts to rest people's doubt about IR's music connecting with NI audiences. This puts to rest claims of people that they move away from IR for commercial reasons due to IR's limited acceptability for the film to be marketed beyond south.

BTW, the fact that it's his same "southern" tunes getting acceptability in North, putting to rest all such theories about IR's music having limited appeal south of Vindhyas only. Balki deserves a Kudos for this!

Somehow feel Paa's Pan India acceptability will change things for IR all over again.

Saagar
7th December 2009, 12:51 AM
According to news 'Mausam' doesn't have music of Raja. BSO has been used for 'Happi' only.
But the success of 'Paa' will bring more bollywood projects for raja.

mohan,
Some of the links like the recent one below have quoted "IR-Mausam-Budapest. " Sure it's not IR?

http://hindi.galatta.com/entertainment/hindi/livewire/id/Ilayaraja_goes_live_31825.html

mohanraja
7th December 2009, 01:00 AM
Sure.
I don't trust these sites.
One site said that Gulzar said 'There's no cinema without raja'. Actually balki said those words.
Here in the given site, they have mistaken 'Happi' as Mausam , as pankaj is linked in both the films.
Actually , i'm a regular visitor of this discussion forum. U people give 'real' news , than those sites.

mohanraja
7th December 2009, 01:24 AM
What I expect from raja is, he should come out from the shell (southern cinema) . He is one of very few composers in world who can understand the feelings of the characters and the depth of the given situations. He must do global projects. Language is certainly not a barrier for such a great musician.

Here in Delhi, my colleague (is from Bihar) is a rahman fan. But after listening to Paa he has become a raja fan. Actually local musicians i met here, praise raja. Problem is raja is like Hanuman, without knowing his own great talent. Jaambavaans like Balki are required.
That's All!

irir123
7th December 2009, 11:01 AM
watched "PAA" this evening at an AMC hall (at last an IR-score in a decent theatre - but still, they were not very particular abt using the entire sound system effectively - i thought the bass levels were way too low -(

its a neat, clean, straight film, but with lots of deviations that could have been done without - Balki still cannot get away from his adman spirit, with the scenes still looking like advt frames fitted together - though the screenplay seemed much more jointed this time - Bachan is good, but just about that - given the hype the media is creating over his performance, i expected a superlative performance with brilliant subtleties, but they were few and far between (maybe am so much used to the big expressive eyes of Kamal doing out every emotion and Bachan has his limitations using his eyes) - the kids interplay was so hearteningly crisp and devoid of the 'artificial' aura that one usually gets to see in a Mani Ratnam film for example - the supporting cast were all equally good - the main plot of the politician meeting his long lost partner who mothered his child, looked like some poor corny plot from a Sidney Sheldon novel gone bad

now for the main reason I saw the movie - IR!

he restrains himself to using the harpsichord, some piano and strings and lots of synth in the first half - and simply goes ballistic in the latter half, particularly towards the last 30 min - wish Balki had given some space for a 'kadhalukku mariyadhai' style thematic score - maybe because the emotional tones were underplayed or perhaps balki isnt skilled enough to bring out the same, as a HCIRF, i felt IR cud have come up with more deeper stuff had the scenes packed more punch than this - having said that, there is an absolute beauty of a derivative score from the main 'mudi' - the entire song (until the end of the interlude) is played on the piano, guitar and strings when Abhishek and Vidya meet again - its so subtly done, that if you dont look for it, it will disappear in the background - also there are snatches of brilliant improvisations of the interlude motifs of the Shaan version of 'udi udi'

balki snubs at least two songs - 'gum sum' and the second version of 'mudi mudi' - overall, i feel that if balki had approached IR with the script and given him a free hand to come up with the script specific scores/tracks, instead of reusing his earlier tunes, the result wud have most likely been much better - but given this limitation of using a theme already used for some other situation, and also the tunes, IR has done a brilliant job (as usual)

K
7th December 2009, 12:21 PM
Rajasaranam,
Can you confirm if the following are true/if you've heard about them?

Isaiyil thodangudhamma (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE2Y1Cu9sw8&feature=related)
Hope it was posted earlier, but this is a better version, I believe. Honestly, azhudhuttEn.
Though a fantastic rendition, no version of this song can be a patch on the original by Ajay Chakraborty (IMO this is the next best version). As an aside, the very idea of having a song in that situation was Raaja's if what i heard from a friend is correct, similar to "Chinnappa daas" (Kadalora Kavidhaigal). Enna oru understanding and vision :notworthy:
My friend says he remembers seeing Kamal say this in an interview. Won't be surprised if its thats indeed the case

He said a couple of other things he'd heard about. Someone like Rajasaranam can confirm the veracity.
1. Thambikku Endha Ooru, 'composition' (at least a part of it) was done from a hospital bed or something. Someone wrote it down from him it seems. Eerily similar to an episode in Mozart's life (as seen in the film Amadeus).
2. Guru (Malayalam) composition la kooda he was suffering from a serious skin infection. Remba sramathoda compose pannaaraam....

Tambiku entha ooru and Guru details are written by Thalaivar Himself in "Paal Nila Paathai" Autobiography kind book released in 2001 December.

rajaalltheway
7th December 2009, 01:22 PM
According to Bollywoodhungama.com" Paa catches on like a wildfire,picks up hugely .Had a slow Friday [approx. Rs. 2.15 cr.], although business picked up in the evening shows. Saturday witnessed a big jump in business at plexes [approx. Rs. 3.50 cr.]. Sunday showed a further jump [approx. Rs. 5.25 cr. to Rs. 5.50 cr.]. Such escalation in day-wise business is a rarity in today's times. Only goes to show that the film has been lapped up in a big way. Monday is expected to be better than Friday" :D .
Thanks to his highness Suresh iam getting hold of all non tamil releases of Ayya as soon as they are released.I remember watching SPB and Gangai Amaran in coffee with anu and they reminisced on how much the two brothers were in awe of Rahul Dev Burmans orchestration.After Sureshs' Suryakanthi gift I cant have enuff of Shreya Ghoshals 'Chan Channare' which has Pancham written all over it,the naughty playfulness of 'Yeh Ladka haye Allah',the Panchamda signature sax bits...as Suresh rightly pointed 'Thiss the new Raja'

Sureshs65
7th December 2009, 01:42 PM
A family I know went to 'Paa' over the weekend. A young kid in their house was initially scared after seeing Amitabh's makeup on the TV. After going to the movie, looks like the kid enjoyed himself fully in the theater and wants to see the movie again!!! I can now surely say this movie will succeed since families will start going to the theaters.

Bala (Karthik)
7th December 2009, 02:16 PM
Tambiku entha ooru and Guru details are written by Thalaivar Himself in "Paal Nila Paathai" Autobiography kind book released in 2001 December.
Thanks K. Yes, my friend tells me thats the source :)
In one of the IR yahoogroups meet a few years back, there was a discussion about this book and Kamal's intro

It boggles the mind to think of the circumstances in which Raaja composed for the two films and the *output*, especially Guru :shock: :notworthy: Also, is he a reincarnation of Mozart! :)

Hulkster
7th December 2009, 04:00 PM
BollywoodHungama are media partners for PAA, saw them in the title credits, not sure how reliable they are but they are sure doing a excellent job of promoting the movie :D

tvsankar
7th December 2009, 05:17 PM
Suryakanti won in the recent race...
Excellent album.....

Ovoru paatum ovoru type...

Edeya Baagilu - Extraordinary tune.. Beautiful Preludes.

Piano - wat a soothing sound..... expresses the lovers
feelings..

Orchestration creates the perfect mood of the singers..

very nice to hear in headphone........

male humming is transfered from left ear to right very nicely..........

Indha IR ai than naam miss panni irukom.........

Near Future, Indha Raaja neraiya vendum...........

sivasub
7th December 2009, 05:33 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Paa-to-go-global/articleshow/5309945.cms

svarman
7th December 2009, 06:05 PM
suryakanti and OSO are heavenly bliss form Thalaivar after PR and the great PAAAAA.....

Watched it last night in Manchester Odeon and Thalaivar in superlative form....me with goose bumps and tears swelling on rampage!!!

My kids absolutely liked the movie and me the same except for the political drift, before the first half.

There were orchestral beauties based on Mudhi, Gumsum and almost all the songs played on the back ground with absoluted elan, with various subtle modifications!!!!

I am happy for Thalaivar!!!!

Suren

sivasub
7th December 2009, 06:17 PM
suryakanti and OSO are heavenly bliss form Thalaivar after PR and the great PAAAAA.....

Watched it last night in Manchester Odeon and Thalaivar in superlative form....me with goose bumps and tears swelling on rampage!!!

My kids absolutely liked the movie and me the same except for the political drift, before the first half.

There were orchestral beauties based on Mudhi, Gumsum and almost all the songs played on the back ground with absoluted elan, with various subtle modifications!!!!

I am happy for Thalaivar!!!!

Suren

I saw it in London. One difference between India and here seems to be that all the songs got featured (though some songs were not played fully).. not even one missed out. Not sure if it was the case in Manchester as well. Here's the order of the songs:

1. Halke se bole - When Abhishek initially goes around the school
2. Mudhi mudhi - First flasback scene
3. Udhi udhi - after it is accepted that Vidya will bear the child, hardly 3 minutes difference between mudhi mudhi and udhi udhi
4. Hichki hichki - When Abhishek takes Amitabh around Delhi
5. Gali mudhi - When Vidya turns down Abhishek
6. Gumm sum gum - In the hospital
7. Mere paa - End titles

rajasaranam
7th December 2009, 06:27 PM
Bala,

The Isaiyil Thodunguthamma Tidbit is true. I have seen that interview of Kamal where he showered praises on Raaja for visualizing that song in the screenplay. Never Failing to add what Raaja said to Kamal on this, that the song was already there in the script due to the way it was written & Presented. :)

Plum
7th December 2009, 06:38 PM
Bala, Just a counter perspective. When I am down with sickness or something, I usually find that I can focus very well on things that hold my passion - writing for instance - usually, the output is better when I am sick than otherwise(Ofcourse, that may be just tweedledum and tweedledee level difference - adhu vEra vishayam :-) )

I theorise this as "Quality of an artist's output is invariably linked to the intensity of his experience.". Illness being an intense experience, I wonder if it kind of focusses the mind on the task at hand, and enhances the quality in the process?

K
7th December 2009, 06:41 PM
http://thamizhparavai.blogspot.com/2009/12/blog-post_07.html

Inoruthar Paa Padatha pathi

cry_sandiego
7th December 2009, 08:39 PM
[tscii:c7beed0e75]இரண்டு நிமிட ‘முடி முடி ‘ பாடலிலேயே முடிந்துவிடுகிறது.இளையராஜாவும்,பி.சி.யும் கலந்த ஒரு இளமைக் காக்டெயில் இந்தப் பாடல்.

Exactly .!![/tscii:c7beed0e75]

Shankar.P
7th December 2009, 09:00 PM
Amitabh Bachchan organised a special screening of his movie Paa in Chennai to thank the film's music composer Ilayaraja.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment

watch vedio...

jaiganes
7th December 2009, 10:20 PM
Om Shanti Om song from Om Shanti had my foot involuntarily tapping incessantly. Damn good song and the aalaap at the end in a 'echo' layer is simply rocking my core. This is one damn good album as fresh as any one can get it from the garden directly. Pls tell me that the age of the composer is just 20+ and not 65+. The prelude to Chinna Polike - all 3 versions are simply out of the world new age stuff.. Idhukku enna date set panna poraaingalo namma vidhwans.

jaiganes
7th December 2009, 10:25 PM
And Ottesi chebutha is the funky counterpart of 'Sullikuppam ganabathikku' and the clincher here is the lyrics while in sulli kuppam the chorus singing was the last lap baton carrier.

Damn creative this Ilaiyaraaja guy born again in 2009. He contiues to amaze me and put me on wild goose chase trying to figure out how does he do it?

And BTW - I remembered one thing while listening to 'Aalamadangala' song from pazhassi raaja...
The second interlude arabic stuff is the same ditto from a BG piece in Nasser's Devathai where Vineeth searches for Keerthi Reddy in a store in Dubai.

ramk1
7th December 2009, 11:37 PM
I've never seen accolades coming in from all directions for IR and that too for multiple languages in nearly 15 years. It is so heart warming to see that his music is getting due credit after all these years. He shud have got this credit for his TIS, but due to poor marketing or lack of marketing, it was never in the limelight. If our thalaivar starts such a nonfilmi venture again, combined with marketing mind that bhalki has, he can surely garner the world's attention. The most surprising one was the recent Om Shanthi Om, which has youthful numbers, and they were no jarry notes at all, as he used to have in his synth based nos.

jaiganes
8th December 2009, 12:32 AM
Right now trembling ' hahahahahaha' for Swalpa soundu jaasthi maadu from Suryakanthi. The voices used are too good and the use of vocal harmony is way to different from any other composer. when the vocals go 'hahahahahaha' I feel like laughing like Santa Clause and then comes the second interlude with the 'bulbul tara' notes played in synth - right from the 80s man - damn good and culmination with the celtic, violin- pipes is a master stroke - somehow this guy knows how our brain functions while listening to his music and puts in enough red herrings all around to surprise us at every turn.
Raasappu - edhaachum periya thittam irukkaa aduththa varusathukku? munname sollippuduyya.

jaiganes
8th December 2009, 12:37 AM
The first interlude string (guitar) is simply way tooo cool for an indian film song.

K
8th December 2009, 05:19 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rqdzmwwjgju

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mlhjaazqzmu

ithu rendum from sensongs site

svarman
8th December 2009, 05:29 AM
Thalaivar!!!

http://vanakkam-doc.blogspot.com/2009/04/ilayaraja-and-me.html

suren

writeface
8th December 2009, 05:49 AM
Bala, Just a counter perspective. When I am down with sickness or something, I usually find that I can focus very well on things that hold my passion - writing for instance - usually, the output is better when I am sick than otherwise(Ofcourse, that may be just tweedledum and tweedledee level difference - adhu vEra vishayam :-) )

I theorise this as "Quality of an artist's output is invariably linked to the intensity of his experience.". Illness being an intense experience, I wonder if it kind of focusses the mind on the task at hand, and enhances the quality in the process?

Plum, Check your PM. Thanks.

Gokul.

cry_sandiego
8th December 2009, 10:59 AM
Gokul,

Enakku oru PM poda koodaathaa? :-)

Cheers
MSK

writeface
8th December 2009, 11:21 AM
உங்க ஆசையை தீர்த்தாச்சு:-)

Shankar.P
8th December 2009, 12:40 PM
Suryakanthi is making lot of buzz for Ilayaraja's fantastic musical score and Chetan's six-pack in the songs shot in Uzbekisthan.

"Ilayaraja sir has come out with excellent melody tracks. Mouni Naanu aa Mouna Neenu is one song which has been widely appreciated. My favourite song is Edheya Baagilu Thattadhe, superbly rendered by Kunal Ganjawala and Shreya Ghoshal [ Images ]," says Chetan.

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/08/south-kannada-first-look-suryakanthi.htm

raajarasigan
8th December 2009, 01:16 PM
Some information about the new movie 'Paditthurai' from Arya's production house...

http://cinema.dinamalar.com/tamil-news/1392/cinema/Kollywood/Padithurai%20movie%20special%20hilites.htm

raagas
8th December 2009, 01:57 PM
Om Shanti title song is exactly, diametrically bang opposite to Ilaiyaraaja's style of music, form of music,way of music.. or if i can say, it is bang opposite to Ilaiyaraaja as such. Now, i dont know if i should be happy about it sad.

cry_sandiego
8th December 2009, 02:49 PM
Gokul, thanks.. i did not see any in the inbox.. just in case, my email is msk_rcom

thx
MSK

thumburu
8th December 2009, 03:03 PM
IMO "un vaazhve oru kadhaiyumaagalaam" is a better song than the rest of the lot in "Madhya Chenna". Sadhana has done a neat job too. The scale shift in the charanams from the pallavi in Mohanam makes the song
very engrossing and enhances its appeal. The second bgm reminds me of the one in my favourite song from "en mana vaanil" , "unnai thedi vennilaa" . Enuff lamented on the crappy state of lyrics. If one can forgive the "kindergartenesque" pallavi, even the interludes and charanam portions of "unnai patri sonnaal" is enjoyable , as there is a silky smooth melody flow .The above stated songs have rich accompanying music like the juicy ones in "Prem Kahani" album. In "ILa vayasu" , both the interlude music are brilliant stuff. Raja's bypass the pallavi and switch over to 2nd bgm music works here too . The second bgm showcases the crazy being this old man IR really is :)) .
The rest of the songs don't interest me."Enda dei" has a brief hardrockish guitar backing in
the opening lines, but disappointed to know thats all about it.

tvsankar
8th December 2009, 03:42 PM
Swallpa soundu

wat a song....

nice lyrics.

jaiganes,

hahaha - oh ohho ho ho - kiru sonna HARMNONY LAYER..

konjama harmony koduthu yematharar - Nilavai kaati
sadham ootara madhiri....

tvsankar
8th December 2009, 04:00 PM
sWalpa soundu - complecated beats....

IRavadhu - Beat ilama irukaradhavadhu......

very nice......

Chorus - hahahaha, ohohhohoho - very sweeeeeet

ist interlude - dono the names..... am enjoying a lot.

love love love - oh ho hohoho - Female chorus - mesmerising.

2nd interlude

beats udan varum female humming - haunting...

udan varum interludes - Silirthu ponen....

nanananana - very sweeet humming.....

Swalpa soundu
jaasthi maadu
thumba hollae sound idhu
ondhu roundu
hadadhi nodu
bhoomi thumba
sannadhu

Yes. very True...

SWalpa soundu

Sureshs65
8th December 2009, 04:05 PM
thumburu,

You sort of nailed 'Madhiya Chennai' very similarly to what I felt. The interludes of the songs you mentioned have been superb. I especially love the interludes for 'unnai patri sonnal' very much. That song has a very lilting flow which the accompaniments complement beautifully. The charanams are what makes Raja what he is. 'ennada dei' and 'sullikuppam' are Okish. Nothing very great but I did like Raja chorus song.

raagas
8th December 2009, 05:22 PM
thumburu,suresh,

i have written this earlier. The 2nd interlude in "Unn Vaazhve" is a killer piece.It suddenly puts on a completely new colour. the whole treatment there is amazing. And those drums. I somehow distinctly see Ranjit Barot there.I dont think it was him,but the style has his touch.And watch the subtle piano strains when the lines go "Ullirindhira paarkarein" in the 2nd charanam. Thats his signature.hats off!

Sureshs65
8th December 2009, 05:55 PM
raagas,

With you on the interlude. Actually the whole style of Raja for the interludes has changed from the western classical motif to the jazz motif. You no longer have multiple instruments interacting with each other, providing counter melodies. The interludes are more sparse with one instrument like the piano or the sax dominating. As I said earlier, this is a new Raja that we are seeing. He has been doing this for some time and things are fitting in perfectly now. Loving most of the interludes in all his new albums. 'Om Shanthi': the prelude to 'Chinna Polike' is enough to die for, the second interlude of the same song, the interludes of 'Flying on the moon', almost all interludes in 'Paa', interludes in 'Madhiya Chennai'. Quite minimalist in nature compared to his earlier times but equally captivating nevertheless.

jaiganes
8th December 2009, 06:05 PM
Naan munnaala sonnadhu pola (as i told earlier),
Om Shanti songs are in 'kalaingnan' mode with synth use predominant and still sweet on ears. Hulkster must be having orgasm in his ears. :-)

Now now to thumburu. Madhiya chennai's rest of the songs are not such a push overs in my opinion. Sullikuppam has its vocal layers and the typical local flavour coming out beautifully. and three cheers to rahul. this guy is fast becoming Raaja's favourite.

Hulkster
8th December 2009, 06:28 PM
Orgasm ellei, volcanovey vedikkuthu. I am eagerly awaiting other albums of thalaivar to see if he is experimenting more with synth.

Om Shanti has cool rockish guitar backing in the charanams and throughout the song. It really sets the mood of the song for us listeners.

Sureshs65
8th December 2009, 09:59 PM
BTW, where is Ramki (of the Mumbai variety :) ) He was one of those who enjoyed 'Shambhu' a lot and I am sure he will enjoy 'Om Shanthi' as well.

Sureshs65
8th December 2009, 10:03 PM
'Om shanthi' diverted my concentration on 'Suryakanthi'. Hearing 'Edaya Baagile' again and what a composition. It shows how easily Raja understands other genres and then adds his own magic. The violins which play in the background, the piano play, everything reeks of Broadway. Added to it those English lines. A lovely song to listen at the dead of the night. So much silence in this song.

MumbaiRamki
8th December 2009, 10:15 PM
Chinna pokile - second interlude , i have no words for this !!!! This is aqmazing stuff from raaja

app_engine
8th December 2009, 11:27 PM
From the TF section :

More of a war film, still Ilaiyaraja shows his mettle in BGM. Two songs, Kunnathu by Chitra and Aadhi Ushus by Dasettan stand out.

krish244
8th December 2009, 11:37 PM
Chinna Polike stands out in OSO album. Loved the jazzy second interlude. Also, loved the bass portions when Sunidhi sings her anupallavi portion of the pallavi after the first charanam.

The prelude (and ending of first interlude) of this song has traces of inspirations from "Chal Chalein" (i think its uff song) song. Maybe IR was working on both movies at the same time.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sanjeevi
8th December 2009, 11:52 PM
Chinna Polike is indeed vintage Ilayaraja tune :). The way singer sings and the way instruments give sounds are freaking awesome. The slow versions of this song are slow (anti) poision. Other songs in Om Shanti are not just good songs defenitely have their own beauties.

On the other hand, Suryakanti has addictive Mauni Naanu, Edeye songs to compete with Om Shanti album. in NI, Paa strikes slow and steadly. Anyone tasted the second interlude of Gum Sum? just out of the world composition which nobody can even dream that level in music composing.

Thalaivar has opened 'Jaaz juice shop' and the taste is just marvelous.

Sureshs65
9th December 2009, 12:08 AM
Sanjeevi,

Very true, what you say.

Here is a part of what I wrote in another forum: "Raja has been doing a lot of work on the synth and to me things are superbly
falling place nowadays. While the Malayalam works are soul stirring, he has been freaking out with the synth this year to great effect. Whether it be 'Valmiki', 'Madhiya Chennai', 'Prem Kahani' or some songs of "Bagyadha Balegara", he has been getting his sounds more in tune with the current generation. 'Paa' is a
perfect example of this. You can see his freak out nature in this movie as well as in 'Jaganmohini'. "Om Shanthi" takes this to a different level. What a score he has given. Complete synth and absolutely captivating. In other words, Raja has made his peace with synth. It is upto the fans to now make peace with this Raja :) "

Sureshs65
9th December 2009, 12:12 AM
How I wish Raja had given atleast one charanam for one of the sad version of 'Chinna Polike'. It would have been great. The sad version had the possibility of being another 'Chirugali Chirugali' (Mallepoovu).

app_engine
9th December 2009, 12:20 AM
Actually, all four "recent" efforts of IR for HFM had a level of sophistication in sounds that he is still to do in TFM (shivA, cheeni kum, chal chalEin, pA). It's not a question of synth or asynth, there's some deliberate "BMism" there (IMO, he was #1 in pushing IR to sophisticated music right from moodu pani days and there's still no competition to "poongAtRu pudhidhAnadhu" in sophistication, IMO. The prior example was 'uRavenum pudhiya vAnil').

That Balki has a similar (rather same) taste helps it better too. Balki has also reused two BM songs in his latest pA and had been more successful than BM in HF :-)

I'm yet to try his kannadA / telugu stuff. In any case, can easily say that his recent MFM output has been much superior to TFM:-) Both his bhAgya dEvatha & PR have been hits as well!

app_engine
9th December 2009, 12:28 AM
Someone was asking about what to look forward in 2010 from IR (after the decent output in 2009 - possibly his most prolific in this millennium).

One sure-shot sweet score will be the Sathyan Anthikkad movie (which should come out around Vishu time in April). His recent track record with this director makes one expect at least two melodious numbers :-)

app_engine
9th December 2009, 12:39 AM
I don't think there are any decent projects lined up for him in TFM (at least nothing that are currently being talked about in high profile, like NK).

Going by the hub opinions, it appears he doesn't have decent colloborations in TF :-( Instead of watering 'vizhal's like vAlmeeki, nandhalAlA, azhagar malai, mathya chennai etc, it would be better if he gets opportunities to work with at least one or two established "on-screen" talents :wink:

mohanraja
9th December 2009, 02:10 AM
[tscii:a53d0a0c77]Watched 'Paa' last night. After watching the film all of my friends discussed abt the film , in a coldest winter night out side the complex, in Noida. Everyone praised Raja for his excellent music.
A man was whistling the theme music…
At last North Indians come to know the power of Raja.

While the end titles were going on , my friend and I stood before the screen. I felt very happy that raja has given rich music to a hindi film after Sadma.
Eagerly waiting for ‘Happi’.

Pro Raja!
[/tscii:a53d0a0c77]

irir123
9th December 2009, 09:36 AM
om shanti om - too much synth by IR - i suspect KR and YSR's hand in at least 3 songs - the chinna polike is very much IR - the om shanti om track is embarassing with outdated keyboard synth sounds (bappi lahiri wud have done this in the 80s in his sleep)and an uninspiring tune - as an album, "om shanti om" is a step backward, following PR, suryakanthi and paa

i hope IR stays away from "lai la lai la lai" "cham chichakku cham" "dangu dingu dang dadang dang" kind of chorus (or does KR has a hand in this ?) in all his future albums - the irritating chorus spoilt the otherwise lilting tune of 'cham chamare' - is IR so bereft of musical imagination to come up with either a decent sounding choral part, or is he just careless with certain compositions ?

Saagar
9th December 2009, 09:47 AM
Picked up this link on IR's new films for 2010...

http://popcorn.oneindia.in/artist-filmography/1960/5/ilayaraja.html

Saagar
9th December 2009, 09:52 AM
A couple of these are dubbed ones and some are straight films.

The outlined SRK (Hindi) storyline indicates it's a possibly remake of "Chinthavishtayaya Shyamala" a.la. "Chidambarathil Oru Appasamy"

Saagar
9th December 2009, 09:55 AM
Another one to look forward to (not sure commercially, but creatively) would be Shaji N Karun's Gaatha.

Shankar.P
9th December 2009, 11:21 AM
yesterday IR recieved TN state govt award for his 'AJANTHA' from CM Kalaingnar. He shared the stage with Rajni,Kamal,Vaali and Vairamuthu too. Both Rajni & Kamal had a enthus chat with him.

I've revisited 'Ajantha' songs in late night and enjoyed 'Engae irunthai Isaiyae' in it all 3 versions. wow what a song...the lyric itself stamped a strong statement of what Raja feels on music.

Hulkster
9th December 2009, 11:33 AM
As expected, loads of reviews(withstanding hub reviews) have written off Om Shanti album as being synth dominated and "not-his-cup-of-tea" album. In fact some say it is the worst he created in Orkut.

Like i said, prepare for more such reviews as thalaivar will be going full synth mode for such albums soon. :lol2:

The embarrassing synth in Om shanti has made me so embarrassed that i am listening to the track again. Especially the atrocious Om-Shanti-Om chorus. Bappi Lahiri must be kicking himself for composing such a brain juice sapping song in his sleep. I wonder if it was him who thought of the accompanying guitar touches throughout the song. So insipid of him. :lol2:

raagas
9th December 2009, 01:35 PM
Somehow, I personally do not like the voice of Kunal Gunjawala. More so, i dont like his style of singing, because I sense lot of western accent in his singing. i have said this before, that IR sometimes disappoints me with his singer selection. Chinna Polike from Om Shanti is another classic example of that.

Sometimes, a singer might not know a language and might still sing a song well with proper emphasis on pronunciation and accent.Sometimes the singer fails there and thats when the composer/lyricist should step in to correct the mistakes. Or the composer should choose another singer who knows the language.I dont understand the rationality in selecting Kunal Gunjawala or Udit Narayan (in Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Telugu version), when they sound so horrible in accent and pronounciation.So blatantly evident that they do not 'belong' to that language.It sounds so out of place,when someone sings as if he is just made to sing.. because he doesnt understand,which is secondly, but he doesnt even know how to pronounce or accentuate certain syllables.Just to get the language right, they stress too much on certain syllables that it sounds awful. And Kunal, with an already western accent, doesnt sound a bit "Telugu-istic" in this song.

Strangely, the female singer pulls it off well. Not sure if she knows telugu or not, but she managed.

I just didnt/dont like the western style of his rendition.I never liked his voice anyway.

Bala (Karthik)
9th December 2009, 02:15 PM
Somehow, I personally do not like the voice of Kunal Gunjawala. More so, i dont like his style of singing, because I sense lot of western accent in his singing. i have said this before, that IR sometimes disappoints me with his singer selection. Chinna Polike from Om Shanti is another classic example of that.

Sometimes, a singer might not know a language and might still sing a song well with proper emphasis on pronunciation and accent.Sometimes the singer fails there and thats when the composer/lyricist should step in to correct the mistakes. Or the composer should choose another singer who knows the language.I dont understand the rationality in selecting Kunal Gunjawala or Udit Narayan (in Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Telugu version), when they sound so horrible in accent and pronounciation.So blatantly evident that they do not 'belong' to that language.It sounds so out of place,when someone sings as if he is just made to sing.. because he doesnt understand,which is secondly, but he doesnt even know how to pronounce or accentuate certain syllables.Just to get the language right, they stress too much on certain syllables that it sounds awful. And Kunal, with an already western accent, doesnt sound a bit "Telugu-istic" in this song.

Strangely, the female singer pulls it off well. Not sure if she knows telugu or not, but she managed.

I just didnt/dont like the western style of his rendition.I never liked his voice anyway.
:lol:
Janni vandhavan maadhiri paaduvaapla (Sounds like someone shivering from cold is singing). However, i liked him in "Ma Ganga" (Naan Kadavul). Apt choice
I'm not sure if the excessive western accent (shivering) is a hangover from the Hindi Kannada numbers he is asked to sing or if its his nature to sing like that

By the way, sunidhi Chauhan is a singer who has a commanding voice and a good range but always sings for INR150 were 100 would have sufficed. However, Raaja has succeeded in mellowing her down for his songs (Mumbai Xpress, Paa and OSO)

Sureshs65
9th December 2009, 03:14 PM
Hulk,

To each one his / her own. So I am not surprised by the reviews. I am enjoying Om Shanthi immensely and I feel this is the direction Raja will go. Actually I find the synth effect much less in this than 'Shambhu' and 'Shambu' to me was a lovely album. Anyway let us see what the general public thinks once the movie is out.

jaiganes
9th December 2009, 06:18 PM
om shanti om - too much synth by IR - i suspect KR and YSR's hand in at least 3 songs - the chinna polike is very much IR - the om shanti om track is embarassing with outdated keyboard synth sounds (bappi lahiri wud have done this in the 80s in his sleep)and an uninspiring tune - as an album, "om shanti om" is a step backward, following PR, suryakanthi and paa

i hope IR stays away from "lai la lai la lai" "cham chichakku cham" "dangu dingu dang dadang dang" kind of chorus (or does KR has a hand in this ?) in all his future albums - the irritating chorus spoilt the otherwise lilting tune of 'cham chamare' - is IR so bereft of musical imagination to come up with either a decent sounding choral part, or is he just careless with certain compositions ?
<nee kelaen-joke>
Idhu meyyaalume neenga dhaana? illai quarterblog revieweroda opiniona neenga solreengala?
</nee kelaen-joke>
As hulkster would always say, counterpoints, harmony ella amsamum replicated faithfully in synth. Ottesi chebuthaa is a cracking song with real good(funny) lyrics.
Nyaan munne paranyadhu pol (as i told earlier)
Om Shanthi Om has an ending aalaap coming out of no where that is too good.
Chinna Polike all versions are gold
flying on the moon is awesome singing and great melody
I would have heard these songs in my windows media player atleast 10 times in the past 24 hours and they are pickles - just sweeter(instead of saltier).
KAekka Kaekka innum nalla irukku.
listen listen more good it is.

svarman
9th December 2009, 06:34 PM
http://meedpu.blogspot.com/

Hats off Akilan!!!!

Suren

PS: print, email and whatever you do, send it across...

Vazhga Thalaivar!!

Sureshs65
9th December 2009, 07:41 PM
Jai,

'nanna sonnail pongo' :) I was hooked to Om Shanthi and as of now will hear no criticism. Loving 'Flying on the moon'.

raagas
9th December 2009, 07:55 PM
The electronics/synth in Hichki Hichki from Paa.. Pch How did he do it! Brilliant work.

Somehow, Om Shanti isnt working for me.I liked Chinna Polike but the male singer isnt letting me enjoy the song. The synth in other songs didnt impress me. I liked synth in Hichki Hichki but the synth in Om Shanti isnt impressive for me.Hichki Hichki sounds IR to me.But Om Shanti doesnt.If someone had played Om Shanti to me, without telling me the composer's name, I would have thumbed it down, except for Chinna Polike.

And in Surya Kanthi, Edhaya Baagila is a fantastic composition (but for the male singer). And Mouni Naanu is a brilliant throwback at his 80s form. Chan Chanaare gets brilliant in Charanams. Absolutely Ilaiyaraaja signatures.

raagas
9th December 2009, 07:57 PM
So, if we look ahead...

What do we have in the platter, in 2010?

Hulkster
9th December 2009, 08:08 PM
Hulk,

To each one his / her own. So I am not surprised by the reviews. I am enjoying Om Shanthi immensely and I feel this is the direction Raja will go. Actually I find the synth effect much less in this than 'Shambhu' and 'Shambu' to me was a lovely album. Anyway let us see what the general public thinks once the movie is out.

Yup, i guess i have to start ignoring such reviews and just focus on the compositions he has given us. :D

Nowadays his compositions are all situation centric and he is making his songs a tight fitting for background score. When JaganM got released, i was doubtful of why thalaivar had adopted such a synth dominated album for a medieval film but when i watched the film it was more of modern day fantasy and there was less focus on any sort of medieval time scenery.

Judging from his album, it perfectly sets the tone of the whole movie which is supposed to be a unusual love story and the youthfulness is set in the backgrounds of all the songs. The james bond like percussion setting towards the end of the 1st interlude of ottesi, rockish guitar tones cleverly underplaying a disco like synth setting for Om-shanti, The overall dreamy feel of Flying on the Moon, its perfect as you get.

I think its about time we stop doubting where is the raja of yore and stuff like that when we hear his synth sounds as he is clearly underlining his magic in every song he is doing regardless of instrumentation employed. Just like how he forced unsuspecting listeners to accept folk music, WCM and various other genres in his style, he is going to force them to accept his synthvolution. :D

Hulkster
9th December 2009, 08:17 PM
<nee kelaen-joke>
Idhu meyyaalume neenga dhaana? illai quarterblog revieweroda opiniona neenga solreengala?
</nee kelaen-joke>

Quarterblognu solli nalla thaan kindal pendrel :lol2: I guess inetk's only problem is that he is not able to understand thalaivar's orchestration technique with synth and also tune wise. He is the type of listener who loves a vintage IR tune rather than the orchestration and if the tune is instantly likeable, he will grow to like the ensuing orchestration. Thats why all the shocking reviews nowadays when it comes to thalaivar's albums.

Hulkster
9th December 2009, 08:28 PM
So, if we look ahead...

Albums wise we have atleast four pending for Tamil, One for Hindi which is Happi/Mausam by Pankaj, Two in Malayalam, one for Satyan Anikkad and another with Mohanlal, One in Telugu which has a famous martial arts exponent in the lead, i think its called Oh My God. Not sure about the rest.

irir123
9th December 2009, 09:03 PM

<nee kelaen-joke>

</nee kelaen-joke>
As hulkster would always say, counterpoints, harmony ella amsamum replicated faithfully in synth. Ottesi chebuthaa is a cracking song with real good(funny) lyrics.
Nyaan munne paranyadhu pol (as i told earlier)
Om Shanthi Om has an ending aalaap coming out of no where that is too good.
Chinna Polike all versions are gold
flying on the moon is awesome singing and great melody
I would have heard these songs in my windows media player atleast 10 times in the past 24 hours and they are pickles - just sweeter(instead of saltier).
KAekka Kaekka innum nalla irukku.
listen listen more good it is.

i cannot force myself to like something only coz its from IR! i listened to it just the way i listened to prem kahani or nannavanu - om shanthi falls somewhere between nannavanu and prem kahani in terms of IR standards - the synth usage is indeed irritating

svarman
9th December 2009, 09:05 PM
i have read. i hope and think i have already answered to all his points. charu
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Varman Surendra (5HQ) BOLTON PCT <Surendra.Varman@bolton.nhs.uk> wrote:

Dear Saru

I am sure you have read this!!!

Suren

svarman
9th December 2009, 09:07 PM

and a response to SAAARUUU!!!

Guys dont fail to read this!!!!!

Suren

Sanjeevi
9th December 2009, 09:07 PM
irir123, I support you but I am sure you definitely will like the slow versions of Chinna Balike song and atleast the entire tune of this song.

irir123
9th December 2009, 09:45 PM
chinna polike is a class apart - i agree

btw, the pallavi beginning of the tune reminds me of the beginning of "kaatru veliyidai kannammaa" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EatF_2QMRw

same raagam ??

Sureshs65
9th December 2009, 09:46 PM
irir123,

What you say is fair in the sense that you don't like it. I personally liked 'Om Shanthi' a lot without having to force myself. Maybe I have got used to the synth but I did not find it irritating and I liked the way Raja used the synth in this album. Not just as a replacement for natural instruments but also to generate 'sounds'.

Fliflo
9th December 2009, 11:37 PM
Box Office Top 5

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/trade/top5/index.html

raagas
10th December 2009, 01:20 AM
Karthik's review: http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/12/09/music-review-oum-shanti-telugu-ilayaraja/

writeface
10th December 2009, 02:19 AM
Karthik's review: http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/12/09/music-review-oum-shanti-telugu-ilayaraja/

I was thinking he will squash it as "tedious" or "out dated".

jaiganes
10th December 2009, 03:54 AM

I was thinking he will squash it as "tedious" or "out dated".
me 2.
however. i still dont agree with milli , quarter, cutting reviews for music. I dont think there is a dearth of GigaBytes in the web world.

irir123
10th December 2009, 06:23 AM
irir123,

What you say is fair in the sense that you don't like it. I personally liked 'Om Shanthi' a lot without having to force myself. Maybe I have got used to the synth but I did not find it irritating and I liked the way Raja used the synth in this album. Not just as a replacement for natural instruments but also to generate 'sounds'.

forget the synth usage - in 'suryakanthi' a beautiful tune such as 'chan chanare' is spoilt rotten by those 'dangu dingu dan dadang dang/cham chaku cham' chorus part - in the 1980s, it was ok, but this is 2009!! what the heck is happening ? what cud have otherwise been a complete album has been offset by these elements which am sure if IR had been more careful cud have been easily replaced with some interesting motifs - what i find glaringly missing are those lilting string motifs such as this here - http://www.mediafire.com/?gim2u5kwvtg - my question is why not replace these meaningless 'dang dings' with such motifs to make the score complete ? noone dare question IR's output quality thereafter!

20 years since the 1980s, listening such stuff in otherwise well-composed tracks is plain embarassing

Hulkster
10th December 2009, 08:16 AM
forget the synth usage - in 'suryakanthi' a beautiful tune such as 'chan chanare' is spoilt rotten by those 'dangu dingu dan dadang dang/cham chaku cham' chorus part - in the 1980s, it was ok, but this is 2009!! what the heck is happening ? what cud have otherwise been a complete album has been offset by these elements which am sure if IR had been more careful cud have been easily replaced with some interesting motifs - what i find glaringly missing are those lilting string motifs such as this here - http://www.mediafire.com/?gim2u5kwvtg - my question is why not replace these meaningless 'dang dings' with such motifs to make the score complete ? noone dare question IR's output quality thereafter!

20 years since the 1980s, listening such stuff in otherwise well-composed tracks is plain embarassing

Wait for the situation to come out and then you will understand why he composed like that. He usually employs that for situations where the heroine is being introduced amidst kids(to illustrate her as a innocent and sweet girl). It sounds cool to me in a weird fashion.

The thing about you and many other listeners is you have grown strongly to accept his unpredictable rhythms and exemplary usage of live instruments in songs. You can accept synth provided it is more of a filler alongside a more manual rajaish tone but when it becomes the mainstay of the song you will get derisive even if there is nothing in it that sounds dated or embarassing. It is quite normal but saying it as embarassing is abit too far fetched and actually shows your fustration rather than a honest review.

You should try to listen closely to the backgrounds and you will realise that all these unpredictable rhythms and inimitable orchestration techniques are cleverly disguised in the synth. The thing about songs with synth as the backdrop is that they dunt sink in immediately or they tend to linger only for a short period of time. But thalaivar's synth usage as lots of unusual melody undertones within the main rhythm which it sort of endears itself to you even though there is a lack of live instruments. I think that itself is a experimentation. :D

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 08:31 AM
Gokul / Jai,

I don't see any difference between forum members expressing their views here and with Karthik expressing his views. It is just that he expresses them in a blog. I don't see why that should make his views any more important than those of yours!!! I think we should take it in the spirit of 'one more view of the album' rather than "oh i was so expecting his review!!!" type of thing. As I said, it is just one point of view and which is in no superior or inferior to what is being discussed here.

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 09:09 AM
irir123,

Let me take the case of the song your quote, 'chan chanare'. The whole song is tuned to remind me of the 80s. Just not the chorus part but the way the whole tune is structured reminds me of 80s Telugu songs of Raja. I just need to imagine Chitra or Janaki singing this and the picture of 80s in complete. The way the whole song moves, it is very clear that Raja has deliberately induced the 80s feel into it. Especially the accordion like sound which comes in the pallavi. If we view it that way, I find the chorus being very integral to this feel and not as something anachronistic. In that way the whole song is quite consistent.

I understand your argument from the viewpoint of a music listener of today who is brought up more of the western pop, rap and rock motifs. He / She may find this very old, un-modern etc and will probably discard the song without a second hearing. Atleast that is what we think. From that point of view, the song may be old fashioned, the chorus embarrassing etc. But then, we just cannot gauge what the public will like, can we? One of the Kannada songs that is requested and played often on FM here is 'madikeri sipayi', which has almost a 70s feel to it and everyone seems to be enjoying it. (I think it is from the movie, 'Amruthadhare' which came out a few years back.)

irir123
10th December 2009, 09:18 AM
carefully listened to om shanti om again

chinna polike is an instant classic yes agreed

'flying over the moon' is good as well - but I still maintain that the other two tracks "ottesi chebutha" and "om shanti om" are pedestrian tune-wise and only some parts of the interludes are interesting

these things apart, IR is in full flow now - middling every other ball, with a stray streaky shot over slips (which some claim are deliberate a la tendulkar/sehwag, but i beg to differ) - i want him do a biggie say the kamal-mysskin combo!

i cant imagine what kamal wud bring out of IR in this rejuvenated state (he can extract the best out of IR even when IR appears to be down and out)!

if i had the money, i wud get him to do an album with tracks like the 'schindlers list' theme(john williams), an adagio (by samuel barber) like piece, and similar pieces totalling 6-8 and dedicate the album to the 1000s languishing in refugee camps in sri lanka - en kitta kasum kidaiyaadhu, vazhiyum theriyaadhu - enthusiasm mattumey irukku!

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 09:44 AM
irir123,

Agree with you that the prospect of an IR-Kamal combination at this point of time is mouth watering indeed. As you said, at no point has this combo failed to deliver and given the current enthusiasm and flow in Raja's music, someone like Kamal will end up getting some outstanding stuff.

Another point I agree with you is about letting him get to do a private album. I don't agree with one aspect of what you say though :D I would not ask him to score 'like' some music that I had heard and let him do what he wants. That way we may get the most 'unlikely' music and we will enjoy it immensely :)

I think all of us share these two things in common. A passion and enthusiasm for his music and the lack of money power to do anything about promoting it :D Atleast you are doing much better than many us in terms of spreading his music.

irir123
10th December 2009, 09:52 AM
btw, 'chal chalein' is a far superior album as a whole (compared to say 'nannavanu') in terms of sophistication of synth and jazz usage! donno why such an effort got wasted on a film tat came and went in the blink of an eyelid!

had even 2 of the 'chal chalein' tracks been used in a film with some big star in hindi, they wud have gotten the popularity they so richly deserve!

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 10:06 AM
irir123,

As Jai says, probably 11 people know about 'Chal Chalein', if you don't consider the cast and crew of the film. (Maybe many of the cast / crew would probably want to forget about the film.) A lovely score wasted on that movie.

writeface
10th December 2009, 10:34 AM
Gokul / Jai,

I don't see any difference between forum members expressing their views here and with Karthik expressing his views. It is just that he expresses them in a blog. I don't see why that should make his views any more important than those of yours!!! I think we should take it in the spirit of 'one more view of the album' rather than "oh i was so expecting his review!!!" type of thing. As I said, it is just one point of view and which is in no superior or inferior to what is being discussed here.

Suresh,

Going by what he has written before, I was predicting that he'd trash it. I wasn't trashing his opinion. He has his opinion and so do we have ours. Thats all to it, and it is not worth exclaiming:)

-Gokul

rajaalltheway
10th December 2009, 12:22 PM
irir123,

i dont mean to offend any one..what is chorus part that suits 2010,
"yole yole yole",or "fouham heeee mo chee.."or is "mehu mehu mehu"?? i think every composer has some how has his own sounds for chorus like Devas' sick 'hayo hayo"..which stays on for ever...

raagas
10th December 2009, 02:20 PM
So, if we look ahead...

Albums wise we have atleast four pending for Tamil, One for Hindi which is Happi/Mausam by Pankaj, Two in Malayalam, one for Satyan Anikkad and another with Mohanlal, One in Telugu which has a famous martial arts exponent in the lead, i think its called Oh My God. Not sure about the rest.

In Telugu, there are two then:

1. Oh My God
2. Thyagayya.

In Hindi:

1. Happi
2. SRK
3. Anything else, after Paa's success? :)

Malayalam:
1. Satyan Anikkad film
2. Mohan Lal film.

Tamil:
1. Ayyan?
2. ??
3. ??

And.... Any idea if IR is working on any non-film albums? Long time since he produced one.

Hulkster
10th December 2009, 02:30 PM
Well he will probably do a Non-Film Album if he really feels there is a challenge in that situation. Thiruvasagam happened when he rewrote a composition for his friend Laszlo Kovacs in tune to the lyrics Kovacs was working on and he wondered why not try them for something like thiruvasagam.

HTNI and NBW are projects he always was thinking of, the first probably identifies his "scientific" proof that WCM is no different from ICM and the other proves that music stems from natural sounds which we then make them into music we enjoy and listen. Like it is part and parcel of life yet we do not realise them.

There were rumours he has alot of "lunchtime" compositions about thoughts he had about music but they are all just kept in the dark as currently he is quite busy with projects.

Sanjeevi
10th December 2009, 02:32 PM
Tamil

No Bala movie in near feature, he has roped U1 for his next. Already kamal has joined in the 'don't look at IR' list. What about Kannabiran of Ameer? is not IR?

I don't have much hope on Ayyan or Mayilue. I mean they may not be released. But it is Padithurai seems to be released soon.

vssathish
10th December 2009, 05:38 PM
Hi

Being a hardcore fan of Raaja, I am seeing a significant change in Raaja's attitude for the past 3 months. Raaja has started attending functions/promos. That does not surprise me to a greater extent. But what surprises is the talk where he mentions that this movie is my 882nd movie and PAA movie is 884th movie and so on.
Raaja never keeps track of the number of movies/accolades/awards he has won so far and never speaks about the same. Because he used to tell that he has not achieved anything in music and he has miles to go.

Considering that, it is a surprise to me in Raaja saying the above (in relation to the movie count).

Has Raaja thought that he has reached more than what can be thought of or is he showing signs of being contended with his achievements.
Both cannot be good news for the die-hard fans since we want him to achieve more and not feel contended..

May be I m wrong in my thinking and Raaja proves me the same

jaiganes
10th December 2009, 06:22 PM
btw, 'chal chalein' is a far superior album as a whole (compared to say 'nannavanu') in terms of sophistication of synth and jazz usage! donno why such an effort got wasted on a film tat came and went in the blink of an eyelid!

had even 2 of the 'chal chalein' tracks been used in a film with some big star in hindi, they wud have gotten the popularity they so richly deserve!

not a day goes by for me without listening to that soul soothing melody of 'Aliyaage' and the brilliance of 'gup chup' and the playfulness of 'uff arre tu'. other two songs aren't pushovers either. Strangely ppls ears proved to be slightly worser than a donkey's capacity to smell camphor.

app_engine
10th December 2009, 06:46 PM
Agree with both jaiganes & irir123 - chal chalEin score is superb! IMO, comparable to the two biggies of recent times (PR / pA) and above anything he did in TFM in the last couple of years (with the sole exception of kaNNil pArvai) :-)

irir123
10th December 2009, 07:09 PM
irir123,

"yole yole yole",or "fouham heeee mo chee.."or is "mehu mehu mehu"?? i think every composer has some how has his own sounds for chorus like Devas' sick 'hayo hayo"..which stays on for ever...

you are completely missing my point

well if you want to put IR in the same platter as Deva, go ahead - but i bracket IR with the best in the world - and i dont see a john williams or a hans zimmer doing any of this crap - true, IR works under different circumstances, but right now, when his music (as well as others) is being accessible to a wider spectrum of ppl than ever before, I wud want his output to NOT have such 'dang ding' nonsense

last year, i did play some of IR's tracks to a documentary film making friend of mine, who immensely liked the variety/versatility, and the tunes, but upfront pointed out the weird sounds (paraphrasing her -"whats that weird 'jaangu chakku chachakku chakku' in an otherwise brilliant 'rakkamma' no ?") and also the recording quality

recording-wise his music has jumped ahead, but when i get to listen to 'suryakanthi' with all those things i mentioned, i dont know how i can send such an album for a review! go back and read steve's review of IR's music in Film Music Journal - even in his glorifying review, he has upfront pointed out the inconsistent sound levels in Cheeni Kum's recording!

lets face it - this kind of a 'frog in the well' attitude will not help - and being objective and constructively criticizing WILL HELP!

IR might be a genius, but now with more and more people taking interest in his output, he better get rid of these redundant sounds and replace them with something more universally palatable

if not, a bunch of IR fans like you and me will listen to his music, and that too, downloaded illegally online, after some HCIRF gets lucky enough to get hold of his released CD, rips it and uploads it somewhere - this trend will continue, and IR will get continue to be, to quote Vignesh from his article "an island in India, that noone will ever know of"

irir123
10th December 2009, 07:44 PM
About "Paa" - its commercial and critical success is largely due to the Amitabh factor plus Balki's persistent savvy marketing in the north/ hindi belt (this is not to trash the quality, but the kind of hype that went with the marketing of 'mudi mudi' in every other TV channel - had it been done for 'chal chalein', that album wud have become equally popular)

lets face it - Bachan himself has been down in the dumps getting infamy through all kinds of offscreen dealings - barring his 'kaun banega crorepati' success, his films have all sunk without a trace last few years - PAA is the brainchild of Balki and it has worked through a well-planned aggressive marketing campaign(which has its spillover effect on the success of music as well)

yet another thing to consider - there are 'n' no of camps in Bollywood - Bachan camp is just one - there are others, Shah Rukh camp, Aamir khan camp, karan johar camp, rajshri camp, hrithik-rajesh roshan camp and a few other camps - these camps often might intercollaborate, but seldom they look outside and they have certain preset teams of technicians including composers - IMHO, the possibility of any of them working with IR (despite Paa's success) is very low - even if they did approach IR, our man in one moment of eccentric indecisiveness, might turn down an offer!

and then we have this tiny bunch of creative guys like sudhir mishra, vishal bharadwaj, pankaj kapur, and a few other creative guys with theatre background making offbeat films which may or may not be commercially viable - these guys MIGHT want to work with IR, but even if they do, the chances of success of the output commercially wud be 50:50

this is all based on my understanding of whatever little i have been seeing in the media online - what IR needs in the hindi film circle, post-PAA, is a real kickass album like what shankar-ehsan-loy did with 'dil chahta hai' - an album that will be played on FM and by DJs - an album filled with 'mudi mudi' type nos! and it has to be in a film thats hyped up and silly enough to be a hit!

our man OTOH is "un kani vizhum yena dhavam kidanthaen" type - expecting fate to take its own course - in deep contrast to another composer who is ambitious enough to make proper use of his collaborations to further his dreams!

its upto IR entirely

krish244
10th December 2009, 07:49 PM
Update on Padithurai:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/52496.html

thanks,

Krishnan

Bala (Karthik)
10th December 2009, 07:51 PM
IRIR,
:notworthy: again, for both the posts

P.S: Though i wouldn't worry about an outsider not liking the chorus in Raakkamma Kayya Thattu, i get the larger point you are making. There are two things here - the eternal elements and the packaging and capsule elements that go with the times. I don't think any of us here has any problems with the eternal but it is the latter that you are addressing and i agree (certain synth sounds, the 'sound' of some choral parts, not the ideas, etc etc)

app_engine
10th December 2009, 08:34 PM
One +ve development with the recent IR albums (even the vAlmeeki / azhagar malai kind) is the glorious return of bass and similar return of percussion sounds :-)

mudi - mudi sounds are like agni* days when IR was the authority in that area. Both the prelude and interlude have mirattal guitar sounds that he reserves only for select numbers nowadays.

app_engine
10th December 2009, 08:44 PM
It must be Balki's idea to use the 'pA' theme left and right in the album. IR using the same lude repeatedly in a song itself is rare (very rare actually). Here he uses thrice in the AB song (both interludes and postlude).

In addition this comes as a 2nd interlude of hichki-hichki in a mildly modified manner. Used on their website, as a remix in the album and per reviews, through out the BGM.

It's probably the ad world style :-) In any case, that piece is quite catchy (catchy like the "washing powder nirma" jingle)

That way, chal chalEin has lot more. For one thing, if someone gave me without telling it's IR, I would have had a tough time recognizing it (except may be the chal chalEin song). Very different any of his prior / current works and also catchy! badhlA dhEi has excellent drum work and playful wind instrument sounds. The album also has variety (like 80's TFM ones).

mohanraja
10th December 2009, 08:56 PM
//our man OTOH is "un kani vizhum yena dhavam kidanthaen" type - expecting fate to take its own course - in deep contrast to another composer who is ambitious enough to make proper use of his collaborations to further his dreams! //

Well Said. :)

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 08:58 PM
app_eng,

I know people may bang me with a blunt instrument but albums like 'Madhiya Chennai' have the same sort of variety that you are talking about in "Chal Chalein". A kuttu song, a choral harmony, two wonderful female solos, amazing interludes, a very peppy 'ilavayasu' etc. Whatever you said about 'Chal Chalein' songs can be told about 'ilavayasu'. It will be difficult to say it is by Raja had we not known it earlier. The main problem with such movie scores is the lack of marketing, glamorous stars, Sun TV buying rights etc. That the movie itself is pathetic and amateurish doesn't help either. In my opinion, I would rate 'Chal Chalein', 'Madhiya Chennai', 'Valmiki' all on the same scale.

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 09:01 PM
//our man OTOH is "un kani vizhum yena dhavam kidanthaen" type - expecting fate to take its own course - in deep contrast to another composer who is ambitious enough to make proper use of his collaborations to further his dreams! //

Well Said. :)

The operative word being 'dreams'. What can you do when our man doesn't have such dreams? Forget going global, I am sure that Raja will not even worry about Hindi. 'Paa', to him would be just one more film. That's all. (Unlike us, who think it can be a foundation for him to do more Hindi films.) That's who he is and probably that is why he produces the music that he does!!!

app_engine
10th December 2009, 09:03 PM
Sureshs65 :-)

Two things that bring down the standard of IR's TFM are not so apparent to me in chal chalEin - lyrical quality (my Hindi is not good enough to appreciate or dismiss poetry quality) and singers (again can't say much about pronunciation / diction etc in Hindi, still they have superb control and voices compared to their TFM counter parts used by IR).

Actually I missed out nandhalAlA in TFM which is superior to chal chalEin - very good album with at least 3 good numbers (mella oorndhu, kai veesi, onnukkoNNu) :-) Unfortunately, for an ill-fated movie - so much ill-fated that crazy fellows are given special shows by the director who cannot get it released :-(

tvsankar
10th December 2009, 09:09 PM
Rajini's love expression is decent in situations
and in the songs also.....

ponmanae sangeetham padivaa - nice one...

Muthamizh kaviyae varuga - Nice to see this Rajini.....

Rajiniin shyness - nalla irukum....

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 09:10 PM
app_eng,

'Chal Chalein' lyrics are not anything to shout about. 'Paa' is better. You are bang on about the singers though. The problem is the same singers sing at both places!! It is just that they are native of North India and hence sing better in their language.

Couple of things that I noticed in the last few albums. Raja seems to have heard our earlier complaints about too much Bhava and too much Raja. Bhava is almost absent in the last few albums (Jaganmohini, Madhiya Chennai, Kannukulle, Pazhassi Raja, Om Shanthi, Suryakanthi.) Raja's appearance is also limited. His voice suits the song both in PazhassiRaja and Madhiya Chennai.

BTW, 'Jaganmohini' is another worthy album for three of its rocking songs.

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 09:11 PM
Usha,

I guess you posted in the wrong thread :)

tvsankar
10th December 2009, 09:12 PM
suresh,
yes. adhukulae parthuteengala...
hehehe....

tvsankar
10th December 2009, 09:14 PM
epadi delete panradhu suresh..

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 09:15 PM
Usha,

I was afraid that too much of Divya Bharathi effect in the other thread has probably confused you :)

tvsankar
10th December 2009, 09:16 PM
adhelam onum ilai suresh.. hehehhehe

vayasachu. adhan...

4, 5 thread parthutu, reply panna nenachu
maathi post panniten.

delete aga vazhi ilaiya........

jaiganes
10th December 2009, 09:22 PM
irir123,

you are completely missing my point

well if you want to put IR in the same platter as Deva, go ahead - but i bracket IR with the best in the world - and i dont see a john williams or a hans zimmer doing any of this crap - true, IR works under different circumstances, but right now, when his music (as well as others) is being accessible to a wider spectrum of ppl than ever before, I wud want his output to NOT have such 'dang ding' nonsense

last year, i did play some of IR's tracks to a documentary film making friend of mine, who immensely liked the variety/versatility, and the tunes, but upfront pointed out the weird sounds (paraphrasing her -"whats that weird 'jaangu chakku chachakku chakku' in an otherwise brilliant 'rakkamma' no ?") and also the recording quality

recording-wise his music has jumped ahead, but when i get to listen to 'suryakanthi' with all those things i mentioned, i dont know how i can send such an album for a review! go back and read steve's review of IR's music in Film Music Journal - even in his glorifying review, he has upfront pointed out the inconsistent sound levels in Cheeni Kum's recording!

lets face it - this kind of a 'frog in the well' attitude will not help - and being objective and constructively criticizing WILL HELP!

IR might be a genius, but now with more and more people taking interest in his output, he better get rid of these redundant sounds and replace them with something more universally palatable

if not, a bunch of IR fans like you and me will listen to his music, and that too, downloaded illegally online, after some HCIRF gets lucky enough to get hold of his released CD, rips it and uploads it somewhere - this trend will continue, and IR will get continue to be, to quote Vignesh from his article "an island in India, that noone will ever know of"

Thala. enna thala tenson aaiteenga.
we are referring to the context - Thiruvasagathula chanku chakka nnu podaliye. that said, i will have to defend IR by saying 'shakalaka'nnu pottaa thalayai aatra koottam chanku chakkaanukum thalaya aattatume.

MumbaiRamki
10th December 2009, 09:25 PM
Oum shanthi album is kick ass stuff !! Yes ,synth usage is jarring - but neverthless when i compare it with the ones used in Maaya kannadi , its sounds better and bit polished!

writeface
10th December 2009, 10:45 PM
Jai,

While I don't care for the "cham chak" in the prelude to Chan Chanare, I quite like the "daang deeng" sung by the kids in the charaNam!

So, IR please stop using Cham Chakku.. but do continue your Daangu deengu:-)

Have we heard "jing jongu" recently? I quite miss that!

Mumbai Ramki,

You are right in describing it as kick-ass. Especially the "China Polike"- the way the charaNam starts - very, very handsome duet.

Gokul

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 11:41 PM
Jai,

While I don't care for the "cham chak" in the prelude to Chan Chanare, I quite like the "daang deeng" sung by the kids in the charaNam!

So, IR please stop using Cham Chakku.. but do continue your Daangu deengu:-)

Have we heard "jing jongu" recently? I quite miss that!

l

What a research sirji :D I too like the 'daang deeng' bit. Doesn't sound bad. I agree with Jai that in this context the 'ching chak' does not sound too out of place. It would have in 'Flying on the Moon'.

Maybe we should all start a small competition to come up with such nonsensical phrases. Whoever wins should be given a chance to be a MD for a day. Like the 'oru naal mudalamaichar' :lol:

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 11:43 PM
Mumbai Ramki,

Latea vandhalum latesta vandhinga. Somehow I had an inkling that you would love this album. As I said earlier, anyone who had loved 'Shambu' would love this album as well.

kiru
11th December 2009, 12:41 AM
I dont want to contest irir's point. But here are my observations on this subject. For IR who has grown up with folk and tribal music and has used them effectively to enthral an audience of 50million people for more than 30 years ..phrases like those mentioned do not have a negative connotation. Actually, I feel it is great he does not have this notion. Otherwise, it will be alienating a big section of our population which still has not tasted the fruits of globalization and is toiling in the hard sun, making a living farming dependent on seasonal rain (vaanam paartha boomi) and/or working in factories. These people have not attuned themselves to the latest hip-hop beats or R&B and are still happy with tha na na type of singing (mind you carnatic music was sung in our land using tha na before sa re ga ma pa da ni came in) and our rhythm patterns.

That said, I do want to see IR known internationally and hope many of IRIR's efforts bear fruit. I think if he works with people like Balki we will have song which are more tuned to western sensibilities (even in PAA mudi mudi is the pick in this aspect).

writeface
11th December 2009, 02:12 AM
Kiru,

>>Actually, I feel it is great he does not have this notion

A very sensible response from you.

I guess we all suffer from (sometime unintentional) elitist approach.

Gokul

rprasad
11th December 2009, 02:59 AM
I agree with Kiru, IR's songs reflect the culture and also the situation in the movie. A song like Rakamma which has the amazing wcm pieces in introduction as well as in interludes is still deeply rooted to our cluture in its soul and the jaangu phrase brings that out. It reflects the slum dwellers in the movie or the Basthi folks(as they say in Hyderabad slang) singing and dancing to express their joy and such phrases suit them perfectly. So when presenting to people abroad we should explain that these sounds reflect the people and their culture and their way of expressing the joy. IR does not compose keeping in mind the Americans sensitvity or tastes. They should be made to understand( i know its difficult) and appreciate how IR fuses these two elements and creates songs/ music which is intricate on one hand as well as reflects the culture and region it represents. Infact i can boldy say IR is probably the one composer in India who even while presenting western concepts and Rythms in his songs/music still brings out the culture and mood of the people/region/language.
Infact that is the main reason ARR succeded so quickly in the North since his tunes/music are more generic in nature with no strong cultural influences of a region or a language. I am quoting ARR as an example only and not saying his music is bad or anything. so please do not create an issue out of this.

app_engine
11th December 2009, 03:26 AM
My take on jAngu chakku :

I think IR has jinjanakku jinakku in his blood and would love to use in every other song if given a free hand :-)

That we don't get it in as many songs is perhaps because of the insistence of the project manager :-) And he complies without any fuss - Mahendran & BM had completely polished / shiny / sophisticated scores way back in 70's itself.

I think he does based on demands - that 'en iniya pon nilAvE' is still enjoyable to current hi-fi crowds is a simple ejjAmple (cleverly used in a horrible movie like VA to force even an irritated viewer like me enjoy a few scenes). 'paruvakkAlangaLin kanavu' - if available in good recording quality will instantly attract anyone in the west IMO.

Talking about west (i.e. U.S.), I don't think they care about jingu chakkA (there're enough weird sounds in any of their average songs). It's probably elite Indians who feel irritated :-) Like I wrote earlier in another thread, a totally sober audience, comprising of people with absolutely no ancestry from India - many musically trained - thoroughly enjoyed 'iLanjOlai pooththadhA' to my utter surprise!

A Detroitter who comes to gym mostly at my times taught me a few tricks and we ended up discussing many things including meesic. After ARR won Oscar, there was a nice talk about him and I casually mentioned about my specific preference of IR under whom ARR worked for a while.

This man immediately said, yes I've heard / read about him (possibly from Indian co-workers at some point of time) and asked me for some samples. Have given him HTNI last week, telling that #10 is my fav (do anything) and also a brief intro about how it has elements of WCM & ICM seamlessly integrated for an organic fusion. I'll get his feedback in a week or so (BTW, he's an instrumental lover)

writeface
11th December 2009, 04:15 AM
>> Have given him HTNI last week, telling that #10 is my fav (do anything) and also a brief intro about how it has elements of WCM & ICM seamlessly integrated for an organic fusion.

I did the same thing in '97 to a drummer who I worked with in Denver,CO. Guy came back and said that the recording wasn't up to par, even though he said he enjoyed the album.

Gokul.

irir123
11th December 2009, 06:39 AM
I dont want to contest irir's point. But here are my observations on this subject. For IR who has grown up with folk and tribal music and has used them effectively to enthral an audience of 50million people for more than 30 years ..phrases like those mentioned do not have a negative connotation. Actually, I feel it is great he does not have this notion. Otherwise, it will be alienating a big section of our population which still has not tasted the fruits of globalization and is toiling in the hard sun, making a living farming dependent on seasonal rain (vaanam paartha boomi) and/or working in factories. These people have not attuned themselves to the latest hip-hop beats or R&B and are still happy with tha na na type of singing (mind you carnatic music was sung in our land using tha na before sa re ga ma pa da ni came in) and our rhythm patterns.

That said, I do want to see IR known internationally and hope many of IRIR's efforts bear fruit. I think if he works with people like Balki we will have song which are more tuned to western sensibilities (even in PAA mudi mudi is the pick in this aspect).

kiru - this is getting nowhere! do you mean to say that the toiling-in-the-sun crowd cannot appreciate a melody without 'dang dings' and 'cham cham chamakku chams' ?? didnt the same crowd love/enjoy a 'tharai mel pirakka vaithhaan' from KV Mahadevan or a "thirudaadhey paappa thirudaadhey". or a "budhhan gandhi yesu pirandhadhu bhoomiyil yedharkaaga ?" kind of songs which did not have such nonsense ??

isnt such a claim doing injustice to their appreciative ears and actually sound condescending/patronising ? salilda did not resort to such stuff in his evergreen 'madhumathi' which had lots of tribal/folk based songs !

IMO, the problem lies elsewhere - (1) IR doing tons of movies at a time, and often perhaps not having time for a complete song, and hence such 'phrases' probably came in haste - best example, the obnoxious 'pee peee pibbeeepee pee pee' chorus in the second interlude of the delightful 'vaa vaa manjal malare' from rajathi raaja! as i said, these things at the peak of his career cud be excused (though i dont see why coz, as a professional, he shd have given equal importance to each and every film he was doing, and gotten ridden of such phrases replacing them with some other stuff) - so that possibly explains the state in the 1980s; (2) but now, its an inexplicable sense of 'this is enough for you' to a 'yes boss, yes boss' nodding filmmaker - wud he have the guts to come up with such stuff with someone like kamal ? the 'bey bey peppey' wail in 'kombula poova sutthi' was very brief and strongly context-based and hence kamal probably allowed it

there is only a certain limit beyond which one cant explain the 'context-based' choice of crap IR often employs in his music even after 880 films! am glad that he didnt mess PAA with such stuff coz of the canvas and the wider reach he must have envisaged

ananth222
11th December 2009, 08:19 AM
there is only a certain limit beyond which one cant explain the 'context-based' choice of crap IR often employs in his music even after 880 films! irir123 I think you are biased a little by having to show those songs to foreign listeners, and being embarrassed by those sounds. They are annoying from that point of view, but as a native listener they are all fun! I don't think IR ever thought of them from the former point of view or cares about it. Only we worry about those things. but imho they are all characteristics of his "unbridled genius".

cry_sandiego
11th December 2009, 09:07 AM
IRIR,

nice thoughts.. But

While i agree with you reg IR not caring about certain things, and maybe in some cases such Chorus can be eliminated or not appropriate.. But in general I strongly disagree the view point regarding Chorus.. especially the example you pointed.. in the Rajathi Raaj song.. The lyrics allude to the marriage and IR very appropriately brings in the Nadhaswaram.. now this can be done in vocal or instruments and he has chosen btoh equally well in various songs.. In this song it happens to be Vocal chorus.. how else can u sound a Nadaswaram other than Pee pee.. Not Dum Dum or Jaanku jakka..Right !!

I personally love a lot of the Chorus humming in his songs and sometimes these meaningless dabble too.. Like Kiru said, What the hell does Shakalakka mean.. or for that matter ".. u wannna " or some rap crap in the middle of a tamil song that Harris and other neo MDs throw in..???

Rajaathi Raaja was not done to please any Western audience in the first place.. It was done to please Rajini movie goers.. That's all.. it is a bonus that song was liked by you and some foriegners atleast in part..

Knowing you well, I guess i can see your frustration that IR with all the "Sarakku" has not achieved the global recognition and most importantly that too partly due to his own "eccentricities"..
But shooting down all Chorus words that do not have a meaning is not fair i guess. and your bias towards Kamal is so obvious here that you say Kamal constrains IR - As far as i Know IR, he does not care about IR or Balki or even Rajini or Amitabh .. ( had it been any other MD, they would have rushed to Mumbai on AB's invitation ).. This is IR's strength and weakness in my HO.

I am sure Kamal songs had their share of such chorus as well.

Cheers
MSK

irir123
11th December 2009, 09:34 AM
MSK - in sathya, "raappaa thagu thigu" in 'pottaa padiyudhu" and "da da datta dattada dattada dattaa" in "nagaru nagaru" tracks were Kamal-centric choral nonsense contribution from IR!

i say kamal coz in a DD interview in the mid-1990s, IR had mentioned kamal as the most difficult to work with saying kamal is a taskmaster! IR acknowledges that - since both have an excellent work chemistry, they share a rapport level where both dont sacrifice from an aesthetics point of view and do justice to each others work - hence I mentioned kamal I have not heard IR mentioning anyone else in the same way - you can check back on his interviews!

jaiganes
11th December 2009, 09:47 AM
<shakes head and slowly hums>

Jinjinakku janakku
naan sollithaaren kanakku
</shakes head and slwly hums>

ananth222
11th December 2009, 10:02 AM
listen to this piece by Morricone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ4bawWWvCE
its the most beautiful "blabbering" in music I've heard (other than in IR songs). I think both IR and Morricone are geniuses who know what they are doing.

irir123
11th December 2009, 10:16 AM
ok all - no more ramblings on my part! truce!

its all out of my sincere genuine desire IR's music shd find the right respectful place in history that i keep lamenting

hopefully in another 10 days, i will have some good news - until then - tata!

K
11th December 2009, 11:52 AM
Year 2009 Seems to the best in this decade for IR, hope all will agree, Enna mathiri variety of Songs Kuduthu Irukaar. From Naan Kadavul to Suryakanthi. Try Listening all the albums in a row and Comment them in few lines for each album. Apuram pesunga Sound, Chorus, Rhythms etc. pathi ellam.

Shankar
11th December 2009, 04:30 PM

kiru - this is getting nowhere! do you mean to say that the toiling-in-the-sun crowd cannot appreciate a melody without 'dang dings' and 'cham cham chamakku chams' ?? didnt the same crowd love/enjoy a 'tharai mel pirakka vaithhaan' from KV Mahadevan or a "thirudaadhey paappa thirudaadhey". or a "budhhan gandhi yesu pirandhadhu bhoomiyil yedharkaaga ?" kind of songs which did not have such nonsense ??

isnt such a claim doing injustice to their appreciative ears and actually sound condescending/patronising ? salilda did not resort to such stuff in his evergreen 'madhumathi' which had lots of tribal/folk based songs !

IMO, the problem lies elsewhere - (1) IR doing tons of movies at a time, and often perhaps not having time for a complete song, and hence such 'phrases' probably came in haste - best example, the obnoxious 'pee peee pibbeeepee pee pee' chorus in the second interlude of the delightful 'vaa vaa manjal malare' from rajathi raaja! as i said, these things at the peak of his career cud be excused (though i dont see why coz, as a professional, he shd have given equal importance to each and every film he was doing, and gotten ridden of such phrases replacing them with some other stuff) - so that possibly explains the state in the 1980s; (2) but now, its an inexplicable sense of 'this is enough for you' to a 'yes boss, yes boss' nodding filmmaker - wud he have the guts to come up with such stuff with someone like kamal ? the 'bey bey peppey' wail in 'kombula poova sutthi' was very brief and strongly context-based and hence kamal probably allowed it

there is only a certain limit beyond which one cant explain the 'context-based' choice of crap IR often employs in his music even after 880 films! am glad that he didnt mess PAA with such stuff coz of the canvas and the wider reach he must have envisaged

ROFL on the pee...pee thing !!!

That "pee pee..." is such a sick thing in that song, that I hated that song just for that...I was embarrassed to play it in front of my mallu-land relatives (I used to stop the cassette, and play Side-B :) )

Shankar
11th December 2009, 04:33 PM

Let' admit another thing...The weakest link of Raja's music is his vocal harmony...from light boy, his car driver to Gangai Amaran and arunmozhi everyone sings in the chorus...Every chorus of his reminds me of "Rajadhi rajan indha Raja..." sung by Ravi krishna and friends in 7G rainbow colony :)

Shankar.P
11th December 2009, 04:38 PM
that too @ the age of 66!

Shankar.P
11th December 2009, 04:40 PM
that too @ the age of 66! is for ....

Year 2009 Seems to the best in this decade for IR, hope all will agree, Enna mathiri variety of Songs Kuduthu Irukaar. From Naan Kadavul to Suryakanthi. Try Listening all the albums in a row and Comment them in few lines for each album. Apuram pesunga Sound, Chorus, Rhythms etc. pathi ellam.

irir123
11th December 2009, 07:43 PM
the male singer in 'edeya bagilu' (suryakanthi) - is the choice deliberately made to sound like the late kannada icon Rajkumar ? the initial portions when he begins the pallavi did remind me of late RK's voice! did anyone else feel the same ?

Sureshs65
11th December 2009, 11:17 PM
irir123,

Actually Kunal Ganjawala's opening reminded me of Raja. I felt he was probably singing exactly like how Raja wanted him to sing. For some unknown reason I am always taken aback when he sings 'without you'. It sounds like 'viraha choo' which doesn't mean anything :) In this song as well as well as in 'chinna polike', the female of the species does better than the male.

Sureshs65
11th December 2009, 11:18 PM
If there was one song which reminded me of Rajkumar, it was 'yenidu yenidu' from 'Nannavanu'. Lovely song that one.

Sureshs65
11th December 2009, 11:28 PM
Looks like the director of 'Om Shanthi' is into blogging. He has started writing his experience of meeting Raja. This seems to be the first part. Need to follow this site to get the whole story.

http://prakashpov.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-tryst-with-ilayaraja-1.html

kiru
12th December 2009, 12:29 AM
irir ..ungaLukku theriyAdha vishayathai ..adhuvum IR music paRRI naan enna solla poRen..from a a social point of view edhO uLarinEn..prasad and app surprisingly seem to have similar views. (BTW, I did not like swalpa soundu that much , but today I patiently listened to the prelude which seemed to put me in the mood for the song completely.. the main refrain and the rockish guitar in the interlude actually reminded me of U2 ..very weird.)

irir123
12th December 2009, 01:54 AM
irir ..ungaLukku theriyAdha vishayathai ..adhuvum IR music paRRI naan enna solla poRen..from a a social point of view edhO uLarinEn..prasad and app surprisingly seem to have similar views. (BTW, I did not like swalpa soundu that much , but today I patiently listened to the prelude which seemed to put me in the mood for the song completely.. the main refrain and the rockish guitar in the interlude actually reminded me of U2 ..very weird.)

kiru - yenakku IR music la ulla niraiyya technical matters theriyave theriyaadhu/puriyaadhu!

IR is not doing any private albums - a TiS, music messiah notwithstanding, his only output is in the filmy format - so whatever we might say to justify the use of elements such as the ones mentioned above, its becoming increasingly difficult to showcase his filmy output, if they have such elements - of course, if we dont care abt how its perceived by others, then no arguments - but for his music to have universal appeal (which am sure it does), the least he can do is get rid of these things - tats IMHO

cry_sandiego
12th December 2009, 10:48 AM
IRIR,

My thoughts - nothing new but felt like writing it..Digression again . sorry for the rant folks..

IR and his capability (or the lack therof ) to market his "stuff" is one topic that we are all painfully aware of .. In my HO, IR can be a excellent case study for how poor marketing/PR skills can make/break a product. He is a genius in Music ( and skills related to music) ( and sometimes lyrics - Ramana Maalai and some of Azhagi songs are testimony ) . Period. He seems to lack badly in every other department outside of music. Maybe True Creators/Artists are very hard to manage, typically lack business/Social skills - So to wish for IR to think of the marketability of the product while he creates it is against his creative process. Who knows.. so to me efforts in marketing his product outside of South are laudable, but unless IR puts his mind to it ( maybe it's too late now ) it's going to be an uphill battle..

I know Hindsight is always 20-20.. So looking back, if he had even the basic biz skills or atleast had some sense to have a business dev/mktng guy by his side, he would have been well of with just 200 of his albums with a selection of just the 3-4 gems per album that were there in every single album of his in the early/mid/late 80's/ , 2-3 gems in every single album in the 90's and 0-2 gems in select albums in the current decade. But he accepted every movie that came his way and made money out of it without recognizing the "true potential" of his stuff. HTNI/NBW were sparks that were in the right direction, but did not go much further than excite the NRI folks.. Again this realization alone could have hurted his creativity/spontaneity. the success he had in the 80's were hugely due to his creativity/spontaneity/speed over weighing all these shortcomings..

In my HO, Current generation MD's care way too much about the maketability/popularity of their creation than the music itself and succeed to a great extent ..though short lived..

But the irony is that i read somehwere that IR was the first to come up with the concept of selling Audio cassettes ( remember the echo company that he owned ) well ahead of the movie releases and created a biz segment out of it..

In my HO, Current generation MD's care way too much about the maketability/popularity of their creation than the music itself and succeed to a great extent ..though short lived..

Cheers
MSK

Punnaimaran
12th December 2009, 11:58 AM
One +ve development with the recent IR albums (even the vAlmeeki / azhagar malai kind) is the glorious return of bass and similar return of percussion sounds :-)

mudi - mudi sounds are like agni* days when IR was the authority in that area. Both the prelude and interlude have mirattal guitar sounds that he reserves only for select numbers nowadays.
:2thumbsup: Well said, I too felt the same.

krish244
12th December 2009, 12:40 PM

Listen to "Chinna Polike" song, especially when kunal and sunidhi repeat the pallavi/anupallavi portions after the first charanam. I loved it.

thanks,

Krishnan

Shankar
12th December 2009, 02:36 PM
'gum sum gum' on repeat :-)

The way all instruments jump at once in a 'thadAladi' manner after the first line is sung without any background is freak-out stuff!

It's like telling a 'wow-wow' after clean-bowling the toughest batsman!

This is the foruth Bhavadharini song that I've enjoyed immensely (the others being alai meedhu, idhu sangeetha thirunALO & mayil pOla poNNu onnu).

Actually, this song tops in the pA album for me :-)

Interestingly, my daughter insists me on repeating this during drives and even within a few hearings, she sings almost all the words (I can't sing even the pallavi) :-)

I heard my daughter hum 'gum sum gum' while she was playing..
This is the third film song she has taken a liking to...

Same situation with my 4-year old son. He wants to listen to Gum Sum only, exclusively, all the time. I played to him all 3 different versions (that I have) of Gum Sum, starting with Thumbi Vaa, Mood in Kapi, and Sangaththil. Every time he said "this is not the real Gum Sum, play me the "real" Gum Sum" :-)

-Gokul.

Exactly for the same reason, this song tops my list in Paa...My 4 yr old daughter, while riding tricycle, was humming "gum sum gum" for every pedal, and I had tears in my eyes...Man...this guy made my dad play thumbi vaa in a repeat mode (pAvam cassette niruthi...rewind paNNi pOduvAr :) )....and my kid is singing without me initiating her forcibly into Raja's music....

This guy is just amazing...my only worry is he shouldn't be another Vincent Van Gogh !

Shankar
12th December 2009, 02:47 PM
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/top10.asp

Paa on top !

tvsankar
12th December 2009, 02:59 PM

Listen to "Chinna Polike" song, especially when kunal and sunidhi repeat the pallavi/anupallavi portions after the first charanam. I loved it.

thanks,

Krishnan

Beautiful Song from this album....

Strong Dose from our Raaja...

Sweet Guitar..... As usual Friendly.........

enna ragam nu solla mudiyuma........ By any chance......