PDA

View Full Version : Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Fliflo
10th September 2011, 06:40 PM
http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/features/item/178231-dhoni-slated-for-a-december-release

"The Indian skipper has many firsts to his credit and the film is no different as Maestro Ilayaraja has opted for live recording while composing the songs. This is done rarely in the film industry these days."

vem
11th September 2011, 08:06 AM
arrogant idiots just for mentioning that IR has lost his touch :-)

Vel - Have you lost your mind ? Please respect others' views, else you cannot run even a family :-)

krish244
12th September 2011, 11:34 AM
'Music is by Illayaraja. After a long time, he has done a Live Recording' for all the songs. These days, each instrument is recorded separately and then mixed through technology. But Dhoni’s songs were recorded live with the entire orchestra playing at the same time'.

http://www.supergoodmovies.com/27158/kollywood/Prakash-Raj-I-am-thrilled-to-direct-Dhoni-News-Details

Eager to feel the difference.

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
12th September 2011, 02:21 PM
krish244,
Somebody said that author's ability to write beautiful stuff depends on the reader's ability to have long attention spans, dwell , revel in that turns hat sentences take.
I believe if music is also like that - its probably the musicians ability to play the complex stuff ( what appears simple to us ) that may drive the composer to give challenging stuff . In Dhoni, i believe more than Raaja it is the musicians's skill that will enhance , which inturn will energise raaja to give more challenging stuff . And , he would like to hear that one composite live sound that he had in mind while composing, instead of taking the round the bush path of separate recordings , mixing , adjusting and hearing it .

vel
12th September 2011, 04:45 PM
yempa vem,....tfmpage is the last place i would look for advices on how to run a family. So why dont you pls keep those how-to-kits to yourself...(Also, why dilute an angry post with fake smilies....we have been here on the forum for so many years, so we all got plenty of immunity for flame posts!)

Once SPB said,"Raaja is the only composer where there is nothing like ''waste song"...As a composer, even my own albums have waste songs....but any Raaja song has something unique somewhere...."

You see? I am perfectly ok with a "hey i dont like that album" attitude...but "hey this guy should retire" is sheer idiotic ignorance at its best! As much as we advocate respecting others''s views, we should also show some respect for a larger-than-life genius like Raaja and keep our limits to just "views" and not some glaringly "biased" stuff. My comment was aimed at people acting as if they are sleeping (biased/arrogant), not the ones who are actually sleeping (naive / ignorant)...

19thmay
12th September 2011, 06:51 PM
In one Star Vijay TV show Yugi Sethu (not sure) said that one person from some European country came and met Ilayaraja after listening to one of his composition. May I know what is that song?

Sureshs65
12th September 2011, 11:17 PM
19thMay,

I think it was 'Putham Pudhu Kaalai'. irir123 can confirm.

MumbaiRamki
12th September 2011, 11:19 PM
One fact : Raaja refuses to do film directors who say that if he doesnt score for the film, they will not make the film . three such films - pudhiya pathai , sigaram and bhakayaraj's first film !

app_engine
12th September 2011, 11:29 PM
One fact : Raaja refuses to do film directors who say that if he doesnt score for the film, they will not make the film . three such films - pudhiya pathai , sigaram and bhakayaraj's first film !

I think that was once upon a time (i.e. when he was too busy). I'm not sure whether he is keeping that same policy now...for that matter, in the new millennium, he has even agreed to do a 100% recycle album for Balki (CK)...IMO, it wouldn't have happened in the 80's...

AravindMano
13th September 2011, 12:45 AM
Even Bala Mahendra has said so - on record - that if Raja stops making music, he would stop making films.

raajarasigan
13th September 2011, 10:18 AM
One fact : Raaja refuses to do film directors who say that if he doesnt score for the film, they will not make the film . three such films - pudhiya pathai , sigaram and bhakayaraj's first film !and also Meera from PC..

19thmay
13th September 2011, 04:21 PM
19thMay,

I think it was 'Putham Pudhu Kaalai'. irir123 can confirm.

Thank you very much. I think I asked it in the wrong thread, sorry for that.

AravindMano
16th September 2011, 04:07 AM
Twitter Talk - Snehaveedu songs out tomorrow. Chithra, Hariharan, Shreya Ghoshal reportedly have sung in this one.

raagas
16th September 2011, 11:01 AM
Twitter Talk - Snehaveedu songs out tomorrow. Chithra, Hariharan, Shreya Ghoshal reportedly have sung in this one.

after that recent song by Hariharan & Chitra (aaro..), I am not surprised!

Sureshs65
16th September 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks AM. Time now to contact my Kerala friends :)

Devaraagam
16th September 2011, 08:14 PM
I believe suresh is getting ready to another marathon run :)

Sureshs65
16th September 2011, 11:17 PM
'Snehaveedu'. Four songs and one repeat, making it 5 songs. Hariharan, Chitra, Shreya solos (with Hariharan solo repeated by Rahul Nambiar) and one Rahul Nambiyar / Shweta Mohan duet. Not sure if the music is out in Kerala yet but I called this number listed in this ad (Thanks to rajasaranam) and listened to the samples. Lovely songs all of them. Very melodious. When Raja's pallavis are melodious, I will guarantee that the charanams will be super melodious. Now to somehow get the songs soon :)

rajasaranam
16th September 2011, 11:24 PM
Raaja Rocks once again with 4 great melodies for Sathyans new film Snehaveedu. :thumbsup: check this image (http://twitter.com/#!/heartatn/status/114733883215454209/photo/1) for your caller tune service. Dial and listen to the samples of these amazing melodies!

MumbaiRamki
16th September 2011, 11:26 PM
RS, 9 songs illaya .. 4 repeat a !!

AravindMano
17th September 2011, 03:44 AM
Five songs,

Aavanithumbi - Shreya Ghoshal
Amruthamayi - Hariharan
Chandrambimbathin - Rahul Nambiar, Shwetha
Chengathir Kaiyum - Chithra
Amruthamayi - Hariharan

The CD had songs from other albums apparently, and that's why the (wrong) count 9. The singer name being Jassie Gift in one of those songs is a dead giveaway, right? ;)

Got the songs from torrent. (Link (http://www.torrentfunk.com/tor/3299014.torrent)). Sorry about posting this link.

My opinion - no great shakes. Chandrabimbaththin is good- the only song which appealed to me. Liked two other things about the album - guitars in Hariharan's song and Chithra's number - though very familiar - was expecting this number as I guess this was recorded after the tragic incident.

I was not expecting much - of late, I don't seem to like much from this camp :)

AravindMano
17th September 2011, 03:55 AM
Okay - Chandrabimbaththin is an instant winner. Will wait for others to catch up and discuss.

Sunil_M88
17th September 2011, 04:59 AM
Okay - Chandrabimbaththin is an instant winner. Will wait for others to catch up and discuss.

+1, This song has everything. The first interlude is so calm an serene and on the contrary the second interlude consists of powerful drums. However, I love the synth carnatic gamakas in the pallavis, this did it for me :) IR has outdone himself here on the experimental arrangements.

On initial hearings my order of liking is

Chandrabimbathin

Chengathir Kaiyum - Somehow I feel this is going to be a dark horse. Chithra ji :clap:

Amruthamayi Abhayamai - The electric guitar portions in the both interludes sounds very similar to Raajas own second interlude from Kuthikkira kuthikkira

Aavani Thumbi - Thoush Shreya mam has done a commendable job here the song has nothing new to offer.

Sunil_M88
17th September 2011, 05:03 AM
Ok I take it back, my pick of the album is Chengathir Kaiyum :musicsmile:

Sureshs65
17th September 2011, 09:52 AM
Raja, Malayalam, Female solo. In Tamil cinema slang, 'tappaa ponadhaa charitrame illai'. The Chitra solo is stupendous, what a melody and Chitra is extraordinarily sweet. A melody for ages. The Shreya song is lovely as well. Now on to listen to the other two songs.

Ofcourse my expectations are opposite that of Aravind Mano. After 'Thandavakone' and 'Ramarajyam' my expectations have gone up and the first two songs satisfy these expectations.

Querida
17th September 2011, 10:37 AM
Just listening now...Chengathir Kaiyum is hands down my favourite...so good to hear Chitra's voice....

I wonder if I'll be verbally stoned in Hub...but never found Shreya's songs wow..."Aavani Thumbi" has beautiful bgm but voice is not anything unexpected...

Chandrabimbathin...like bgm most...especially the beats...

Amruthamayi Abhayamai...guitar is a treat...sweet, delicate interludes...have to give HH's honey soaked voice due credit...thank goodness HH is reeled in when he sings for an album and not left to his own over-aggravating-exaggerating that he does in live performances...

Plum
17th September 2011, 01:52 PM
Querida - not stoning and all. I am issuing a shoot-at-sight order with immediate effect. Unga nalla neram katchi thondargal yaarum unga oorula illainu nenaikkaren

Sureshs65
17th September 2011, 02:31 PM
Querida,

Don't worry. I am also with you to take the bullets :) Yes, while I do like Shreya's voice I am also yet to find it wow. Somehow she sings to be pleasing to the ears and many a times doesn't touch the heart. Maybe because it is that she doesn't really understand the language in which she sings or maybe it is the fact that not many look to emotional connect in songs. (I am sure Plum will come back with 'kannil paarvai'. Other than that there isn't much :) ) That is why she sound so good in Ponnar Shankar for all songs are very generic songs. I had a similar discussion with Vel a few days back in a different forum and he holds the same view point. So Plum, there is already a 'katchi' ready here :)

skr
17th September 2011, 03:05 PM
Amrithamaayi - Sneha Veedu (Malayalam)

Raaja unleashes a stunner of a Kalyani in Sathyan's latest Malayalam venture Sneha Veedu.
The song begins with a gentle guitar strumming , paving the way for Hariharan to take over who begins with a small Aalap and then follows by singing Amrithamayi Abhayamai..

The 1st interlude is very mellifluos with the guitar playing a soothing tune with the Piano providing ample support at the background.

The Annu Pallavi portions go one stop further adding to the melodic content , simply love the lines when Hariharan sings Chimmi Chimmi where the notes go Sa Ga , Ri Ma , Ga Pa ,Ma Da , Ma Ni Da Sa Ni Ri Sa ..

The portion after that is a beatiful synth based interlude after which Hariharan continues singing the Charanam..

Raja's Kalyani always has that magical stamp associated with it and this one definitely lives up to the billing ..

Yet another honey soaked melody in Kalyani , not to be missed ..

Sureshs65
17th September 2011, 03:11 PM
Here is my review of 'Sneha Veedu'.

Sathyan is on record stating that he always demands melodies from Raja. And Raja delivers perfectly for Sathyan. The Raja-Sathyan has a certain sound associated with it. The whole idea of this combination is to keep things at a low key and melody being the predomination factor in all the songs. There is nothing bombastic when it comes to this combination. Sathyan makes low key family melodramas and Raja ensures his music is in keeping with the requirement of the movie. Emotional content in the movie and the music is always high but Sathyan rarely shouts loud. Raja too ensures that nothing is over done. So if you are a lover of melodies and like your music to have some amount of emotion in it, then you have no choice but to fall in love with the Sathyan - Raja pair.

Let me now proceed to review the songs.

1. 'Chengathir Kaiyum' (Chitra) : Easily the best of the album or is it? That confusion is the greatest success of this album. The initial rhythmic pattern of the tune reminds you of the 'Sound of Music' song 'These are a few of my favorite things'. It is almost as if Raja took that rhythmic structure and built the pallavi. The violins following the tune in the charanam enhance the feeling of 'Favorite things'. As usual the charanam keeps pouring more melody into your ears. The interludes are nice and in keeping with the softness of the song. Loved the second interlude especially. The way Raja alternates between Chitra and the chorus in the charanam gives extra energy to the song. The tune, orchestration, interludes, everything is very much the modern Raja whom we have heard in movies like 'Gayam -2'. And Chitra chechi. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that she is the best singer in India now? If you have, please listen to this song and get your doubt cleared. If you still have a doubt after hearing the song, please get your ears cleared :)

'Aavanithumbi' (Shreya Ghoshal) : What a pallavi. And Shreya's voice adds sweetness to the song. A lovely first interlude with violins, synth and guitar. The charanam as usual starts in a way you wouldn't expect and as usual raises the melodic quotient and you are completely satiated. Raja joins the charanam with pallavi in a nice way by getting the chorus to join in. A wonderful and melodious second interlude. The song drips honey. Worth just for the pallavi alone. If it was a couple of films back, Manjari would have probably got a chance to sing this song.

'Chandrabimbathin' (Rahul Nambiyar, Shweta) : The initial 'ya ya' dampened my spirits but those tabla taps raised the spirit. And when Rahul did a minuscule alapana before starting the song I was truly excited. The rhythm for the pallavi is so differently structured. So is it for the charanam. This song has the 'Malayalam song' stamped on it. The song which will most easily attract the 'I want something new everytime' crowd. The second charanam is drums driven, probably due to something happening on the screen so you may feel a bit of a disconnect. Rahul sings well and Shweta is sweet. I am very impressed with her singing. In this song Raja sort of shows us that if you want a new look and feel, I can give it to you. The melody is very catchy as well. So I will sort of disagree with Queria and say that I love the melody as well as the arrangements in this song. As I can see, this is the song which will easily catch up with the youth crowd. Like me :D

'Amruthamayi' (Hariharan version & Rahul Nambiyar version) : The gentle guitar strums open the song then joined by a gentler piano. Just hear the way Raja makes the guitar and piano play as Hariharan starts the pallavi. When Raja tunes in Kalyani he can do no wrong. (Actually in any ragam :) ) One more top class Kalyani based number. The piano plays some lovely phrases in the first interlude. I like the way the tune moves in the charanam and the guitar which comes in once in a while. Assume the 'Ponnar Shankar' song 'kannai padithen' played at a slower speed. You will get this song. The second interlude has the synthesizer playing with some effects which is not as great as the piano (or keyboard). Overall a top class song. To be put in low volume late in the night so as to aid you to get sleep. Only that the melody is so good that you will end up listening to this song in a loop till it is dawn. So beware. Hariharan, whose voice is not oft heard in Malayalam songs, brings in the required freshness. Rahul Namibyar in his version also does full justice to the song. And being a Malayalee, is able to emote as required.

Overall, one of the bests of Sathyan Raja combination. If you looked at the pattern in the last few of their movies, you will notice like one slow duet, one melody supported vigorously by the rhythm and one rhythm based song ('kezhakku mala kammalitta). In this album Sathyan eschews this rhythm based song and asks Raja only for melodies. And as listeners we are indeed blessed.

I will finally put it this way: If you liked songs like 'punnara poo' and sivamalli poove' you will love the Chitra and Shreya songs. If you love songs with emotional content like 'endhu paranjalum' you will love the Harharan / Rahul solo and if you love a duet like 'mandaara poo' you will love the Rahul-Shweta duet. If you are like me, you will love everything :D

sivasub
17th September 2011, 04:24 PM
Here is my review of 'Sneha Veedu'.

The initial rhythmic pattern of the tune reminds you of the 'Sound of Music' song 'These are a few of my favorite things'. It is almost as if Raja took that rhythmic structure and built the pallavi. The violins following the tune in the charanam enhance the feeling of 'Favorite things'.

I haven't heard these songs yet. But the instant you said it sounded like 'These are a few of my...', it struck me that there are two songs - one each in Telugu and Tamil that gives me that impression as well. 'Teeyani danimma' from Nireekshana and the prelude from 'Maniye mani kuyile' from Nadodi Thendral.

Sureshs65
17th September 2011, 04:39 PM
sivasub,

The 'theeyani daanimma' was actually first done in Malayalam for Balu Mahendra's 'Yathra'. The pallavi was completely based on 'Favorite Things'. Not here. It is not a direct one but the rhythmic pattern sounds like that.

Plum
17th September 2011, 05:36 PM
There's also Pootukkal pottalum. In Malayalam, thannannam thaananna. Nireekshana was Yathra remake, although they fitted in a thumbi vaa rehash into it.

Suresh, unga oorula enga katchi nemba stronggu. Jaagradhaiyaa irundhukkunga

Sureshs65
17th September 2011, 05:45 PM
Plum,

Forget about the 'katchi'. Go listen to 'Snehaveedu' first. As a person who loves the Malayalam female solos, you should listen to this album and appreciate the songs. Do it now :)

balaji
17th September 2011, 07:43 PM
Suresh65

Arumaiyana Vimarsanam.

Infact I liked the Shreya Goshal song, specifically the variance between Pallavi and Charanam, but still seemless (only IR can do that)

Hariharan has sung in a controlled manner, much thanks SIr

The duet is ok, still not a fan of Rahul's voice. Shweta has her mother's sweet voice

Ofcourse, IR has given the best to Chitra, and as you said, she is proven once again that she is the best after SJ.

Good/Nice soothing album.

MaycI say it is a Hat-trick for IR after a long time ?

Bala

teja
18th September 2011, 12:09 AM
Brilliant write up on Ilayaraja's re-recording for "Sri Rama Rajyam". Says Ilayaraja usually does re-recording with two keyboards. But for this film, he opted to use live instruments, with 70 musicians. He refused to go down the beaten track set by previous mythology based movies, and did something new & unique, almost like he re-did the screenplay with his rerecording. Producer says IR did the rerecording as if he was doing research in music.
http://andhravilas.com/telugunews/236855/1/p/sriramarajyam_main_highlight.html

Goosebumps!

K
18th September 2011, 07:45 AM
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/2011/09/blog-post_18.html

Querida
18th September 2011, 11:15 AM
Plum, a shoot-on-sight order for saying not wow...goodness what if i said she was just plain horrible? I would be lying of course...she is a competent singer...just as Suresh said not quite reaching that connection...for me anyways..

as for "katchi" why have one in my own land when I got intl support :poke:
but please no politics mucking up my music :D
and order can be put into immediate effect if you promise to play IR instrumental music during my funeral.

jmahesh
18th September 2011, 01:24 PM
I felt Shreya's 'avanithumbi' sounded more like a tamil song , maybe due to her pronounciation. The music that comes after the lines ... thanaalo , ( ? violins) heavenly.
Also felt that Rahul's rendition of 'amruthamai' was better than Hariharan's and for the duet did not sound as great as he did for the solo. Chitra vazhakkam pol kalakkivittaar.

krish244
18th September 2011, 02:45 PM
My thoughts:

Chandra bimbathin: A nice, slow and floating tune. The first interlude comprising of synth bass and chorus is great. Nice bass / accompanying music touches in charanams too. 2nd interlude is a contrast though. Rahul Nambiar sounds different in pallavi and charanam.

Amruthamayi: Hariharan's does a great job in the prelude humming with fantastic guitar strains. Again fantastic start to the first interlude with those synth / guitar. Short but nice touches of guitar in charanams too (notice when HH starts "prapanchangal/prabhadhangal.."). I loved the synth (??) electric guitar tune in 2nd interlude. Though RN has done a good job, I loved HH's version.

Aavanithumbi: Nice tune and liked both the interludes. The way music (synth strings??) accentuates the tune in charanams sound nice. Shreya (my current favourite singer) has done a good job. I started getting this feeling some time back (echoed by some here in forum) that her sweet voice (apart from ability to sing so well) is becoming the dominant factor when compared to the feelings expressed, though there are some examples (as said by some one "kannil paarvai") to prove me otherwise. That said and done, I admire her capability, attention and the extra efforts she puts to sing in other languages and bringing out admirable results.

Chengathir: Maybe because of the little familiarity of the tune, this song attracted me the least. Otherwise, no complaints about this song.

Amruthamay and chandra bimbathin will be treasured (and played frequently) for sure. Aavanithumbi could be added to that list

thanks,

Krishnan

Sunil_M88
18th September 2011, 04:28 PM
Milliblog review

Chengathir kaiyum is so obviously sweet, thanks to Chithra’s gorgeous vocals and Raja channeling his Kshatriyan number ‘Poottakkal pottalum’. In Shreya’s Aavanithumbi – another reliably sweet song – Raja’s interludes takes you through a nostalgic trip down his other rich repertoire without pinning on one song. Rahul Nambiar sounds oddly different across the pallavi and anupallavi of Chandrabimbathin, even as its beautiful, almost-ghazal’ish tune sits uncomfortably atop incongruent interludes. Amruthamayi, the soundtrack’s best, rises above Karthikraja’ish synth due to the sheer strength of its melody, while Hariharan’s version sounds better than Rahul’s. Snehaveedu is a bit too predictable, syrupy soundtrack.

balaji
19th September 2011, 01:08 AM
Is Aavanithumbi, a different version of "Chithira Sevvanam"?

KV
19th September 2011, 11:54 AM
Not bad, for sure. No stellar song like 'Aaro pAdunna' (the sole reason for me being a little curious about this album), but no major duds either.
As has been the case most of the times in His newer albums, the Malayalam melodies somehow sound sweeter than the Thamizh ones.

Querida, Suresh65, sattubuttnu kannathla pOtukanga, illAti ummachi kanna kuththidum :twisted:

raagas
19th September 2011, 01:22 PM
Sneha Veedu - beautiful album! Ilaiyaraaja doesnt disappoint. There are some "Malayalam stamp" kind of tunes - like the chitra song (some phrases do sound familiar) and there are some tunes that can be imported to any other (south indian) language as well - such as Aavanathumbi (it sounds a lot like some of 80s tamil songs of IR - the 1st interlude reminds me of interlude in "Kadhal Kavidhaigal" from Gopura Vasalile). Chandrabimbathil is impressive as well! And Amruthamaayi is a nugget anyway. My order of liking would start with this song, ending with Chitra song. The bottom order keeps shuffling though :-)
Verdict: I love this album!

Now Some statistical overaction: :-)

2011 Verdict(so far): for me...
Loved: Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai, Ponnar Shankar, Sneha Veedu, Sri rama Rajyam
Mixed opinions (liked just 1 or 2 songs): Ayyan, Sengathu bhoomiyile, Thandavakone
Didnt like: Hare Rama Hare Krishna

Thats pretty much like evening out - by number of films. But by number of songs, I have liked 21 songs composed by Ilaiyaraaja this year. Thats quite good! Great going Mr. Ilaiyaraaja! you never cease to surprise me!

Plum
19th September 2011, 02:00 PM
Ok, not bad.
It is difficult to surpass Vinodayatra and bhagyadevata when it comes to this combo. This one, predictably, doesn't.
But it doesn't plumb the depths of the previous Lalettan-sathyan-IR combo either.

Btw, saw bhagyadevata yesterday. among the lesser films of this combo. Saw first half of katha thodarunnu last month - that one promises to be better.

Sureshs65
19th September 2011, 06:27 PM
One more review of 'SnehaVeedu': http://www.musicaloud.com/2011/09/17/snehaveedu-music-review-malayalam-movie-soundtrack/

Sureshs65
19th September 2011, 07:02 PM
Plum,

I will say that as you keep hearing this album will easily reach the heights of Vinoda Yatra :) I am very sure. Difficult to rate any one album of this combo as the best. I love this album a lot for the excellent melodies that Raja has given.

V_S
19th September 2011, 07:47 PM
While I am still stuck on Sita seemantham, kalaya nizama, raama raama ane from SRR, this comes as a big bonus. And what a contrast to his previous films this year. This is what I have been expecting from Satyan-IR combo.:D I am flying high. Every song is a breath-taking and unique experience. Captured my heart straightaway. I could not pick the best out of it. Sheer brilliant melodies and at the same time not stretching and stressing too much on interludes. All concentration on the soul which is the tune. A Delight to hear. Thank you Satyan sir! :smile:

I agree with Sureshji that it will easily reach other Satyan's greats.

BTW, superb reviews Sureshji, krish244 and raagas. Sureshji you said it all beautifully.

Sureshs65
19th September 2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks V_S. Yes, it is indeed a sort of sweet pain that before we can fully digest the songs of one album, another one comes along!! Same happened in 2009. The next album should be the Marathi one. I heard that in some show Arya said he will be releasing 'Padithurai' after Diwali. If that happens, we are in for a real treat.

AravindMano
19th September 2011, 11:05 PM
Okay - I love this album. Can't stop listening to it. I do have my reservations - synth, familiar etc., - but deep down inside me, the Raja fanatic is so glad that he is still making lovable music - not that he stopped making it - somehow that reassurance beats everything else - at times I think that makes me happy more than the product itself. Anyway, surrender :notworthy:

anyone else or is it just me- the Hariharan number is so Vidhyasagar!

Sureshs65
20th September 2011, 12:05 AM
AravindMano: 'appadi vaayaa vazhikku' :D

kiru
20th September 2011, 01:48 AM
Where did the acoustic guitars go after the prelude in amruthamaayi ? Could have been a tribute to Simon&Garfunkel. Opportunity wasted. I hate the ping-ponging effect.

baroque
20th September 2011, 03:43 AM
you all are fantastic, suresh65, skr, krish, raagas.... thanks.

kiru is musically savvy.

You, Ilayaraja, always a GREAT FRIEND.

If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind.:ty:
:musicsmile:

vinatha

KV
20th September 2011, 11:15 AM
Exactly my feeling too, Kiru. The song's structured so beautifully, starts off with just an acoustic guitar and vocals; would've been an absolute acoustic delight had it continued the same way throughout. Alas, he leaves us singing synthbhairavi. Why rAsAppu, why!

Querida
20th September 2011, 11:29 AM
AravindMano: 'appadi vaayaa vazhikku' :D

.......:lol:......

Sureshs65
20th September 2011, 01:11 PM
Where did the acoustic guitars go after the prelude in amruthamaayi ? Could have been a tribute to Simon&Garfunkel. Opportunity wasted. I hate the ping-ponging effect.

Kiru,

My feeling is that's why he changed :) I guess we all know Raja's insistence of leaving behind his stamp and not sound generic.

Anyway, it is a lovely song.

kiru
20th September 2011, 01:16 PM
..Alas, he leaves us singing synthbhairavi ..
ha ha ..ROTFLMAO .. you are articulate or what !! :-)
@vinatha - I dont know music .. only can recognize sounds.. really.. just like figuring out missing numbers in a number series if you have too many examples.. IR has given too much music even I can figure out somethings sometimes .. we are all friends here.. birds of a feather.. maybe we need a Bay Area IR fan meetup ..
@Suresh - I think IR could have still used the guitars someway in the body of the song..now there is a feeling of let down..

raagas
20th September 2011, 01:41 PM
If there was any surprise for me in Amruthamaayi song, it is the absence of a Ilaiyaraaja version. A good number of Hariharan solo songs for Ilaiyaraaja do have a Ilaiyaraaja version too

1. Vaanavile (Ramana)
2. Vaanthu tharakayo (poonthottam)
3. Thaalaattum kaatre thai sonna paate (devan)
4. Unnai Thedi Vennila (en maana vaanil)
5. Oor Orungam Nerathil

Added to that, it is a Kalyani raaga based song - ilaiyaraaja has sang quite many himself, in this raaga. Infact, we can almost hear him sing, going by the way he weaved the tune. I am surprised that he didnt sing it. But again, there is no point singing this lovely song with struggle (if that is an issue, as apparent in some of his recent renditions). May be he deliberately refrained.
But i must say - Hariharan's version sounds better than Rahul Nambiar's version for me. Some maturity in voice - which is adding some weight, needed for that composition.

San_K
20th September 2011, 01:56 PM
Added to that, it is a Kalyani raaga based song - ilaiyaraaja has sang quite many himself, in this raaga. Infact, we can almost hear him sing, going by the way he weaved the tune. I am surprised that he didnt sing it. But again, there is no point singing this lovely song with struggle (if that is an issue, as apparent in some of his recent renditions). May be he deliberately refrained.
But i must say - Hariharan's version sounds better than Rahul Nambiar's version for me. Some maturity in voice - which is adding some weight, needed for that composition.

Same here :) I too feel Hariharn singing is better than Rahul and very opt for the melody. At the same time I must say Rahu is also good.

KV
20th September 2011, 02:00 PM
Firstly, the need to have more than one version of a song without any orchestral differences is beyond my comprehension. Is this like retaining the track version after the final version has been recorded? Beats me. Sir, why this partiality? At least give us one acoustic and one ping-pong version!

raagas
20th September 2011, 02:23 PM
Firstly, the need to have more than one version of a song without any orchestral differences is beyond my comprehension. Is this like retaining the track version after the final version has been recorded? Beats me. Sir, why this partiality? At least give us one acoustic and one ping-pong version!

I agree. You have a point. But this is something that was done by many composers previously and even today some composers (including Ilaiyaraaja) still do. By having two versions without any variations - it is ultimately holding a mirror to the skills of those two singers only and it doesnt add anything tangible (in any dimension) to the composer's credit. It will ultimately boil down to "who sang better?", from a singer perspective. If there are two versions with variations in tune/presentation/arrangements by composer, then it certainly adds to the merit of the composer.

Plum
20th September 2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah, fair points raagas and KillAdi VAdhyAr( KV)

Actually, the ludes. I feel the magic in the ludes is not there anymore. Anyone else?
What I mean is at his peak, the ludes had some surprise hidden at one place - and when a new song releases, finding this is a pleasuresome activiy.
Examples:
The violin surge in the first interlude just after Kamal's playful bite of Amala's bhujams, and her kottu on his head from the same position, in Valaiyosai. That is the peak point of the song - the magical portion of the song, as it were.

First interlude starting in Saamikitta solli vechu with the synth flutes

The synth flute in the second interlude at the beginning - nee dhaane endhan pon vasantham with the guitars responding

These are special portions even in those special songs.

Leaving that aside, even functional interludes like Azhagiya Kanne's have high musical magic value.

Comparitively, ludes these days seem to be merely functional

Sureshs65
20th September 2011, 04:57 PM
Plum,

I need to write that long pending article about Raja's musical changes and my understanding of his methods soon. In my mind but not getting time to hand on keyboard. Will do so soon.

Sureshs65
20th September 2011, 05:23 PM
Regarding two versions I think it is more to do with space filling in the CD. One would have been the track version and the other the actual version. I don't think film makers are so concerned about us that they want us to analyze how different each one has sung. They just want to fill up the CD hoping that they can fill their coffers.

KV
20th September 2011, 05:46 PM
vAdhyArE! Inna ibdi sollteenga? Magic in ludes and all (in vadivel's terms) is 'grine' matter'nga. While it is true that the aging brain peeps in during the songs/ludes every now and then, it's also amazing to see how he can pull off some absolute blinders. Listing some from the top of my head - Paa (udi udi, gum sum gum - whattay innovation, whattay musicality), Naan Kadavul (Om ShivOham, Kannil pArvai – running riot in the devotional area). Some days back, on the way to office, Oru Chiri KandAl played randomly from the playlist. My mind had classified this song under the ‘nice melody, no great shakes’. But then came the Veenai interlude… lovely piece, completely unexpected.
(Shameless plug: I’d made a list of ‘Interlude/prelude/postlude of the year’ in this post (http://varun-internalreflections.blogspot.com/2009/12/ilaiyaraaja-2009-summary.html)written couple of years back.)

To summarize, while the gray matter might not be in its purple patch anymore, it surely does show streaks of bright purple quite often. Bonus, gladly accepted.

AravindMano
20th September 2011, 07:37 PM
Suresh ji & Querida - :D

MumbaiRamki
20th September 2011, 11:42 PM
Happi -
http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-interview-with-pankaj-kapur-and-shahid-kapoor/20110920.htm

Pick the three best movies of each other
"Shahid: It is very difficult to choose with him. I would go with Maqbool. There was a television series, Neem Ka Ped, which aired on DD Lucknow. There is a film of his, Happi, which is releasing soon. I have seen 10 minutes of the film and he is just stunning in it."

Konjam ethir paarkalaam

raagas
21st September 2011, 12:11 AM
Happi is held up for Mausam. Once Mausam is through, I am sure Happi will release.

On the other hand, the one film (or album) that deserves to be brought out of cans is SRK. How can that heartless producer allow it to rot in cans, when he has a rare combination - Ilaiyaraaja & Gulzar!! and both going strong that too!

irir123
21st September 2011, 01:19 AM
our desi producer/distributor fraternity is a bunch of 'ajaamadams' - remember what happened to Ayngaran's Nandalala ?? every other idli, dosai, vadai films of Ayngaran were being released and NL was in the cans for more than a year!

V_S
21st September 2011, 05:31 AM
Aavanithumbi thamaraithumbi - Shreya Ghoshal :notworthy:

For the past two days, I was going to bed listening to Sneha Veedu. Very pleasant and soothing moments. Before I could finish listening to whole album, I am already asleep. But Aavanithumbi has been ringing my ears during my dreams and it was somehow also leading me to one of the best IR numbers of 70's. Especially the anu-pallavi lines, 'maarathum tholathum chaannidaathe, oh maayakaaran nee kanmunnil manyadindhe'. I could remember intermittently during night about that 70's song, but when I wake up in the morning and try to recollect, it was evading me, how hard I try. All through the day I was singing Aavanithumbi to get that connection but no success.

Suddenly today evening while driving home, I got hold of that exquisite gem from Kavikkuyil (1977) by P Susheela.

maanodum paadhaiyile vaLLi thaanodip pogayile
vandhaanam kandhan, thandhaanaam sontham inbam ange oraayiram

Does anyone see any similarity here.?

Somehow these two songs seems to me as sisters, but they have not seen each other, but they think of each other all the time. One born and brought up in a village, while another in some other city of different culture, yet they are desperate to see each other. I believe Maestro is taking Aavanithumbi, through to that village to have an opportunity to meet her sister and we are to witness their ever-loving and never-ending relationship.

Fabulous and forever-love-bonded composition by Maestro!

Sureshs65
21st September 2011, 07:11 PM
V_S,

'Aavanithumbi' is just the tip of the iceberg!! The more I hear every song the more I am amazed at the experimentations that Raja has tried. Unfortunately he has wrapped them up so well that people think this is just a melody sound track. I tried finding out the rhythm pattern in Chitra's song. It is amazing complex. Same way one of my friends called up from Chennai to ask what I thought was the ragam for 'Chandrabimbathin'. I still can't figure it out though we had discussions on twitter deciding it was Bahudari. My friend claims it is Sriranjani and another hears shades of Bageshree. So total confusion. Overall it has been enjoyable and I will very soon declare that this is the best Sathyan - Raja track till now :)

Shank
21st September 2011, 08:43 PM
Suresh65, I agree...the rhythms are pretty complex in this soundtrack. That is what struck me first because I had a hard time keeping track (both Chitra's and Hariharan's songs). Overall, I think you need time to digest this album because there is so much to it that it might not be evident in the first few listens.

I also see Plum's point about the ludes being functional compared to the past where the ludes were what I looked forward to, knowing that there will be magic. In the past, there has been a number of times when I have skipped the song after the second lude. :-) Of course, even now, there are cases where that magic still exists (Pazhassi Raja song...Odathanil, second interlude)

Again, Raja's style has changed...but there is a lot to enjoy and relish in this too.

jaiganes
21st September 2011, 08:46 PM
Lovely album... this..
@ V_S regarding aavani thumbi - it reminds me of that awesome song in konji pesalam
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR1720%27&lang=en
Same Raagam perhaps. Another song i am reminded is the one from illam
Nandhavanam poothirukkudhu (chandrasekhar clowning around Amala - beat that..)
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR1078%27&lang=en

Awesome use of the same raaga to create so many different shades.. pure genius..

Sureshs65
21st September 2011, 09:49 PM
Shank,
After seeing you post I am happy :) I mean, if a guy like you, who can compose songs, has tough time keeping track of what's happening rhythmically, mere mortals like me need not be ashamed that we couldn't decipher it :D Anyway to me it looked like a 7 beat (technically Mishra Chapu) with the lines starting at various places after the samam in the charanam.

In terms of interludes, there is huge complexity but not the obviously complexity of his earlier works, where instruments come in and disappear fast. That has given way to a subdued complexity where you don't even feel it is complex. Just listen to the way the violins come in during the first interlude of the Shreya song. Or the claps along with the rhythm in the second interlude of the Chitra song. These are works of a genius. Someone who is hell bent on hiding these from you. Listening non stop to this album now.

V_S
22nd September 2011, 08:10 AM
Yes, Jai, I could sense the resemblance with nandavanam poothirukkuthu and Ezhuvannam konda songs too. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

Suresh ji,
Same pinch on Chengathir Kaayum. I was also having difficulty in tracking the complex rhythm pattern (time signature), but my piano teacher helped me confirm the 7/8 time signature. She was thoroughly amazed by this composition and its melody and appreciated that this song is very complex to understand. I felt so proud and so added 'Amruthamayi', she had no answer for its beauty. She was thoroughly impressed. :D
Such a heavenly feast!

Shank
22nd September 2011, 08:28 AM
Suresh65, you don't have to be so modest! :-) You have a deep understanding of music and really in-depth observations. It shows your passion and interest in understanding music and a genuine appreciation for the art. I have always read your writings with great interest and completely respect your views. And ultimately, we all bond together as fans of good music...right?

Sureshs65
22nd September 2011, 09:01 AM
Shank,

Thanks for the kind words. As you rightly said, we are all bonded together by music. And since you are composer yourself (along with Srikanth) I am sure you would have observed how casually Raja breaks the song flow in the charanam of 'Amrithamaayi'. The first two lines sail along smoothly and then he suddenly makes the tune choppy, with the stress syllables falling on the beat. And after two lines like that he is back to the smooth way. Almost like a smooth flowing river encountering a few rocks on the way. And just like the joy we feel when the water skips over those rocks, the way the tune changes is a joy to behold. As usual Raja does this so imperceptibly that people will take this to be a standard Raja melody !!! That has been his aesthetics and in these time when people love everything being shown explicitly, it is a bane for his popularity as well !!

V_S,
Thanks for confirming the 7/8 signature. A couple of days back I started my evening walk with the stated purpose of hearing all the songs of 'Snehaveedu' twice over. Once I arrived at 'Chengkathir' I accidentally started keeping the beat. Which is invariably 4x4. With a jerk I realized that it was completely wrong and for the next half hour I kept playing the song trying to find the logic of the best. I got that it was 7/8 but Chitra keeps starting away from the beat so many times that I was completely confused. Nice to see your teacher confirming this suspicion. And also nice to know you are learning piano. Hope you are playing some Raja songs on the piano :)

V_S
22nd September 2011, 08:04 PM
Sureshji,
Thanks. :smile: Maestro tempted me to learn piano. Another main reason I have to attribute is to Violin Vicky and his treasure blogs. Through his analysis, I learned a lot. My sincere thanks to him. He was also generous to share some of Raja's score sheets. After couple of years on piano, I started with Vicky's 'Enna Satham intha neram' and 'Nenjathai KiLLaathe' title score sheets. I have to tell you that when I showed the score sheet of Enna Satham' to my piano teacher, she was surprised by its unconventional bass tracks (arpeggios) and it took a whole three months for me to atleast complete the song (still working on the actual tempo, it's too fast you know for me :wink:). Kudos to Vicky :notworthy: I am still a beginner in all music sense.

rajkumarc
23rd September 2011, 11:01 AM
Have been listening to Sriramarajyam a lot recently and now Sneha Veedu. Beautiful albums both, thoroughly relishing them. In addition, enjoying all the detailed reviews, analysis and discussions on the new albums by the hubbers. Have to catch up a lot as I have been away from the hub for a while.

skr
24th September 2011, 01:41 AM
V_S Nice to know about your piano experience ..
Its good to know that your Piano teacher heard the tracks and was surprised ..Generally i find some teachers refusing to go beyond their area ..
Also its good to know Non Indians (im assuming your teacher is a Westener) appreciating Maestro's music ..
Interesting to know about the 7/8 time signature , rhythm is one area i would really wanna have a grip on ..
Try starting a thread soon discussing Maestro's complex time signatures ..

V_S
24th September 2011, 09:04 AM
skr,
Thanks. She is an American. Yes she is very much interested in hearing to Maestro's compositions. She is so fascinated about the second interlude of 'enna sattham' song and NK title score and got so much interested to teach me other Maestro songs. She always asks me to come with his next song score. I have given her some Maestro's songs played on piano (youtube links) so that we can work out the score. It's a wonderful experience to play Maestro compositions especially with the guidance of a Guru, and I could not believe I am playing his notes (atleast trying to) and I never thought I could do this.

skr
24th September 2011, 02:46 PM
V_S ,
Thats really nice to hear your American Teacher showing so much interest in Maestro's compositions ..
Good that your spreading his music everywhere ..
Would love to hear you playing a Maestro composition ..

thumburu
26th September 2011, 04:22 PM
VS. That was a brilliant find indeed. Maanodum" as well as "Avani thingaL" are based on Chala naattai/Jog scale.
My pick of "Sneha veedu" is tthe duet "Chandrabimbathin". I find the mild swagger in the rytms to be so alluring that it plays repeatedly. After a long time Raja seems to use SriRanjani here . When Chitra sings "chengathir kaiyum veeshi" it is as natural as a fish taking to water . My second choice. Has Raja stamp in tune. Also note how the varying sandhams in the pallavi make it so captivating

KV
26th September 2011, 05:08 PM
When i listen to Avanithumbi, I have MayanginEn solla thayanginEn (NAnE Raja NAnE Mandhiri) running somewhere inside my head. Similar/same rAgam, again?

raagas
26th September 2011, 07:16 PM
When i listen to Avanithumbi, I have MayanginEn solla thayanginEn (NAnE Raja NAnE Mandhiri) running somewhere inside my head. Similar/same rAgam, again?

This is weird!

I am surprised at why a charukeshi raagam based Mayanginen Solla song is ringing in your head. If anything, "Kelayo Kanna"(from same film) should be ringing in your head - particularly the charanams. Some raaga overlap there! Kelayo Kanna is a lovely composition btw.

KV
26th September 2011, 10:42 PM
Raagas, I think my reaction was formed from the fact that there are common notes in these two songs.

Aavanithumbi, or, at least its skeletal melody, seems to mostly operate in the scale
S G3 M1 P N2 S, S N2 P M1 G3 (it incorporates D1 as well, though at very few places)
I looked up to see what scale this is and it happens to be SAvithri (janya of HarikAmbOji)
(One of the hubbers had commented on Aavanithumbi resembling Chithira SevvAnam. I guess this explains it, because chithira is also supposedly set in sAvithri)

On the other hand, Charukesi is S R2 G3 M1 P D1 N2 S, S N2 D1 P M1 G3 R2 S
If you observe, dropping Ri and Da from this would yield Savithri (pardon the amateurish, gross approximation/linkage). And both the songs have many Ga Ma Pa phrases, which is what I guess, gave me that tinge of similarity.

raagas
27th September 2011, 02:43 PM
Interesting KV! But i dont think Avanithumbi sounds similar to Mayanginaen. The change in few notes, i think, throws the songs quite apart from each other.

Also, i thought chitthira sevvaanam is Chalanaattai based. is it not?

San_K
27th September 2011, 07:15 PM
hmmmm

but for me, after Avanithumbi's first line it is the second line of this awesome song (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0545'&lang=en) comes to my mind suddenly. Don't know why? same raagam?

Interestingly, I was cracking my mind to find the first line of that Chinnappadaas song. Thank God! I saw the song in a TV yesterday and caught :lol:

thumburu
27th September 2011, 08:40 PM
KV might be right . Raja does peep into Charukesi too . Note the lines
"engu nee pogilum minmini kelkunnu
ennumil prananil thangidum sowbhagyam..." in the pallavi. Also the first interludes is charukesi whereas the second interlude is predominantly chalanattai but ends in charukesi

Shank
28th September 2011, 04:02 AM
In "Chandrabimbathin", the usage of chorus is astounding (not surprisingly!)...on closer listen, I was blown away.

Shankar.P
29th September 2011, 09:14 PM
at last Happi to see the light
The release date has been constantly being changed. After many changes its now confirmed for an October 14, 2011 release.

http://bolly.sawfnews.com/film.aspx?id=238

krish244
30th September 2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks Shankar for the news. Good to see some update and hope it releases this time as promised (Mausam has come and gone I guess...).

Some details (as a recap) about the music/movie:

- Pankaj kapur has sung four songs (he is playing a jazz singer??)
- Kamalhaasan has sung one song "Zingdagi dish" (http://www.orkut.com/CommMsgs?tid=5486177081205470959&cmm=34613&hl=en)
- BGM using budapest orchestra
- 3/4th of the movie has no dialoges

Some snippets of IR doing re-recording for the movie: http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/video/Parties-and-Events/Wq0ia926/3/Ilaiyaraja-Creates-Happi-Magic.html

I am curious about the songs and BGM.

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
30th September 2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks Shankar for the news. Good to see some update and hope it releases this time as promised (Mausam has come and gone I guess...).

Some details (as a recap) about the music/movie:

- Pankaj kapur has sung four songs (he is playing a jazz singer??)
- Kamalhaasan has sung one song "Zingdagi dish" (http://www.orkut.com/CommMsgs?tid=5486177081205470959&cmm=34613&hl=en)
- BGM using budapest orchestra
- 3/4th of the movie has no dialoges

Some snippets of IR doing re-recording for the movie: http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/video/Parties-and-Events/Wq0ia926/3/Ilaiyaraja-Creates-Happi-Magic.html

I am curious about the songs and BGM.

thanks,

Krishnan

I am slightly sceptical about that Kamal Haasan song. With that song title "Zindagi Dish" (mix of Hindi & English), I hope it is good!

Btw, if the film is releasing on Oct 14th, the music should have been out by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sureshs65
30th September 2011, 12:40 PM
raagas,

I am slightly skeptical, no, not about the song but of the film releasing on 14th Oct. Yes, 'Mausam' has come (and probably gone) Yet I am not sure with so many heavy weight releases lined up (Ra.One, Rockstar) whether the producers will risk releasing it now. Anyway lets hope it does release soon.

raagas
30th September 2011, 04:27 PM
raagas,

I am slightly skeptical, no, not about the song but of the film releasing on 14th Oct. Yes, 'Mausam' has come (and probably gone) Yet I am not sure with so many heavy weight releases lined up (Ra.One, Rockstar) whether the producers will risk releasing it now. Anyway lets hope it does release soon.

Ra.One releasing on Oct 24th.
RockStar in November 2nd week.

By current market trends (where collections of only 1 weekend is enough and thats what are producers/distributors looking at), I think the treat of big films is lesser, looking at the time gap between the releases.

Shankar.P
30th September 2011, 08:36 PM
'Sri Rama Rajyam' to release on November 10
On the auspicious day of Guru Pournima on the 10th of November, Sri Rama Rajyam will hit the marquee. The much-awaited film, starring Nandamuri Balakrishna in Lord Rama's role, is currently in its post-production stage. The mythological film has been made in a distinct format, and Bapu, it appears considering the audio of the film, has given it a new-age touch.

This goes to show how much inspiration that one of the greatest film music directors of all time has derived from Bapu's creative interpretation of some portions of the Ramayana.

The same can be gauged by the fact that, Maestro Illayaraja, who watched the movie, felt that it needs a different kind of music to elevate the unorthodox feel of the movie. Bapu's style has never conformed to routine format, even if it is a story of mythological greats.

V_S
1st October 2011, 09:41 AM
VS. That was a brilliant find indeed. Maanodum" as well as "Avani thingaL" are based on Chala naattai/Jog scale.

Wow! Thanks thumburu. :D Happy to know that I am close this time. Thanks thumburu, KV and raagas for enlightening us with your great raga analysis :thumbsup:

jmahesh
1st October 2011, 03:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_LVJNTo6mA
Amrithamai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=402ecOhWHBc&feature=related
Aavanithumbi
Pleasant to watch

vel
1st October 2011, 06:42 PM
vAdhyArE! Inna ibdi sollteenga? Magic in ludes and all (in vadivel's terms) is 'grine' matter'nga. While it is true that the aging brain peeps in during the songs/ludes every now and then, it's also amazing to see how he can pull off some absolute blinders. Listing some from the top of my head - Paa (udi udi, gum sum gum - whattay innovation, whattay musicality), Naan Kadavul (Om ShivOham, Kannil pArvai – running riot in the devotional area). Some days back, on the way to office, Oru Chiri KandAl played randomly from the playlist. My mind had classified this song under the ‘nice melody, no great shakes’. But then came the Veenai interlude… lovely piece, completely unexpected.
(Shameless plug: I’d made a list of ‘Interlude/prelude/postlude of the year’ in this post (http://varun-internalreflections.blogspot.com/2009/12/ilaiyaraaja-2009-summary.html)written couple of years back.)

To summarize, while the gray matter might not be in its purple patch anymore, it surely does show streaks of bright purple quite often. Bonus, gladly accepted.

well said, very well said !

balaji
1st October 2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/review/13714.html

Says "The other low point of the movie is its music department and songs which act as speed breakers. Though strictly okay, they are not too melodious as the customary Ilayaraja numbers. The BG Scores are indeed pathetic, denying much of the merits of the director's work in visualising the plot. It is high time Sathyan switches on to a novel crew"

==> has any one seen the movie?
==> That bad, can't believe
==> songs were decent when heard earlier, what happened?

Bala

jaiganes
1st October 2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_LVJNTo6mA
Amrithamai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=402ecOhWHBc&feature=related
Aavanithumbi
Pleasant to watch
questions anwered as to why there are 2 versions of amruthamaai.

Sureshs65
1st October 2011, 11:10 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/review/13714.html

Says "The other low point of the movie is its music department and songs which act as speed breakers. Though strictly okay, they are not too melodious as the customary Ilayaraja numbers. The BG Scores are indeed pathetic, denying much of the merits of the director's work in visualising the plot. It is high time Sathyan switches on to a novel crew"

==> has any one seen the movie?
==> That bad, can't believe
==> songs were decent when heard earlier, what happened?

Bala

When I read the review I see that the reviewer has an axe to grind against Raja. If you see the picturization, you can clearly see that they are done well. You can also see him harping about 'hit' music in the end also. I have read reviews of 'Rasathanthram', 'Vinoda Yatra' , 'Manasinakkare' etc where people have not been too happy with the music but as time went by, the music is there to stay: being played constantly on TV channels and being sung in reality shows. Ia m sure the music of this movie will also remain eternal. The tunes are such. We don't need to doubt it. I am certain of one thing. A high quality product may be neglected due to it not being fashionable but it will not remain hidden for long.

Fliflo
2nd October 2011, 09:26 AM
http://kerala9.com/news/sneha-veedu-review/

Songs and BGM by Ilayaraja are soothing.

Hulkster
2nd October 2011, 10:04 AM
When I read the review I see that the reviewer has an axe to grind against Raja. If you see the picturization, you can clearly see that they are done well. You can also see him harping about 'hit' music in the end also. I have read reviews of 'Rasathanthram', 'Vinoda Yatra' , 'Manasinakkare' etc where people have not been too happy with the music but as time went by, the music is there to stay: being played constantly on TV channels and being sung in reality shows. Ia m sure the music of this movie will also remain eternal. The tunes are such. We don't need to doubt it. I am certain of one thing. A high quality product may be neglected due to it not being fashionable but it will not remain hidden for long.

The moment he said BG Scores are pathetic, we might as well throw the opinion out of the window. Anyways we all know that indiaglitz only writes super good reviews for movies which it is doing e-Media advertising.

Sureshs65
2nd October 2011, 10:54 AM
Kamal Aakarsh's detailed review of 'SreeRamaRajyam' album: http://musicmavericks.blogspot.com/2011/10/sri-rama-rajyam-ilaiyaraaja.html

Shank
2nd October 2011, 11:05 AM
You can completely discount IndiaGlitz's reviews...they are a bunch of morons who either pilfer reviews from others or have completely no clue how to review anything, let alone movies & music.

raagas
3rd October 2011, 12:08 PM
Kamal Aakarsh's detailed review of 'SreeRamaRajyam' album: http://musicmavericks.blogspot.com/2011/10/sri-rama-rajyam-ilaiyaraaja.html

You are more fast than me! :-)

krish244
5th October 2011, 10:42 AM
IR's theatre play "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" to be staged soon.

"...
DATES, VENUE & TIME

PREVIEW NIGHT:

5TH OCTOBER, 2011

MARRIOTT CONVENTION CENTRE

6:30 PM ONWARDS (SHOW BEGINS 8:00 PM)

BY INVITATION ONLY

THE PERFORMANCE DATES ARE:

22ND, 23RD, & 24TH OCTOBER, 2011

RAVINDRA BHARATHI

7:00 PM ONWARDS
..."

Full details at:

http://www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/film/2011100399619.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
5th October 2011, 01:46 PM
Actor, lyricist & now composer Piyush Mishra says he wrote lyrics for an Ilaiyaraaja film.

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/interview.php?interviewid=248&pgno=3

Wonder what it could be. Happi??? (given Piyush's affiliations to parallel cinema).

Piyush has done some great work in Anurag Kashyap's Gulaal! This is wonderful news that Ilaiyaraaja's music in Hindi is adorned with lyrics by sensible writers such as Piyush. Glad that the "sameer" days are gone!

- Correction: after a search, I now realize that Piyush Mishra wrote lyrics for Chal Chalein.

So any idea how wrote lyrics for Happi??

inetk
5th October 2011, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-uf7iTCo8Q

krish244
5th October 2011, 02:16 PM
HAPPI trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-uf7iTCo8Q&feature=related

First credit that comes after the title "HAPPI" is IR's name.

Good teaser and nice music.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
5th October 2011, 02:17 PM
Kartik (Inetk), what a timing (Today 08:46 AM) :)

thanks,

Krishnan

KV
5th October 2011, 02:30 PM
Krishnan, I don't have access to view the trailer right now. But, for your relentless enthusiasm and dedication :clap:. Ayya, thodarattum ungal thondu.

krish244
5th October 2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks KV! Edho ennala mudinja thondu.

thanks,

Krishnan

inetk
5th October 2011, 07:31 PM
Bayangara coincidence!!

Kartik (Inetk), what a timing (Today 08:46 AM) :)

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
6th October 2011, 02:33 PM
I hereby decree, after multiple listens, that 'Snehaveedu' is one of the best albums in Raja - Sathyan combination. Anyone disagreeing with this decree will be summarily executed without mercy.

Can't sleep if I don't listen to it atleast a few times every day.

kr
6th October 2011, 07:33 PM
I hereby decree, after multiple listens, that 'Snehaveedu' is one of the best albums in Raja - Sathyan combination. Anyone disagreeing with this decree will be summarily executed without mercy.

Can't sleep if I don't listen to it atleast a few times every day.

I totally agree...The songs keep playing in my mind all day (and night)

Shankar.P
6th October 2011, 07:36 PM
Sri Rama Rajyam Overseas by BlueSky
* Almost all the Telugu households across the world trying to acquire the audio CDs!
BlueSky is really excited to be part of this film and we already overwhelmed with enquires from different locations even before closing this movie.

Australia, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, South Carolina, Indianapolis, Iowa, Nebraska and Memphis were already closed and other locations under negotiations.
http://www.idlebrain.com/usschedules/sriramarajyam.html

vssathish
6th October 2011, 10:44 PM
http://www.idlebrain.com/news/functions/preview-wiavw.html

Maestro Ilayaraja is the first Asian to compose music for this Broadway classic. A team from Hungary are going to be in India on 9th of this month and they will team up with Ilayaraja to compose music for this play in four days. Ilayaraja will personally attend for the opening show on 22 October.

KV
6th October 2011, 11:30 PM
waitenimit... wasn't Virginia Woolf supposed to be staged yesterday at Hyd? Summoning Raagas gaaru immediately. What news do ye bring, signor?

Sureshs65
7th October 2011, 01:39 AM
I had called my brother to check on this drama in Hyd. He told me that the drama may have been postponed. As per his info the music was not yet composed. (Or maybe the drama was staged without music and Raja saw it?) Will check with him again.

app_engine
7th October 2011, 02:06 AM
this drama

:rotfl:

avangaLellAm "broadway classic" appadi / ippadi-nnu sollittu irukkAnga.

chappunnu ippadi udaikkuReengaLE :-)

Sureshs65
7th October 2011, 10:58 AM
app,

I know one guy who will be part of the, er, Broadway Classic. One reason why I said drama :lol:

raagas
7th October 2011, 03:13 PM
waitenimit... wasn't Virginia Woolf supposed to be staged yesterday at Hyd? Summoning Raagas gaaru immediately. What news do ye bring, signor?

Hmm.. though late, I guess i got the fine print right!

That event was publicised as "Preview" and not "Premiere" show! - so there you go!

My hounds are still on.... for the tickets! Lets see!

KV
7th October 2011, 03:49 PM
Well, thanks for the info Raagas. Musicians from Hungary n all... expectations have gone up, lets see.

raagas
7th October 2011, 04:22 PM
At the rate in which raaja has been soliciting the services of Hungary (or UK) based artists - it is better if those artists get some long-term visas and stay put here only in Chennai/Bombay. :-)

And tell you what! 'at times' i feel a "whats the point" thought whenever I read about raaja bringing hungary musicians and all - everything that raaja records with them, doesnt anyway reach people or fans like us. The practice of releasing OSTs is absent in India. And all those recordings are tucked away in BGM pieces, beneath the dialogues and stuff. And they are as such situational pieces.

Instead, if only raaja does instrumental albums, with such artists - atleast, the music will be thematic and listeners can completely listen/enjoy both - raaja's skillset and even their talent. There, I again come back to the same topic! :-(

krish244
18th October 2011, 09:01 AM
Some updates on Dhoni:

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/kollywood/prakash-raj-talks-about-dhoni-and-more-415

"...Prabhu Deva, a great friend of mine, makes a special appearance in a song-and-dance sequence.

Regarding the music, I must say that Ilaiyaraaja Sir is in full song and has fine-tuned all the songs with live recording — one hardly ventures into that now, given the advantage of technology. This means that the music of the film will be a soulful experience...."

Was "Masthana" song (and of course for other songs of the movie too...forgot the movie name) the last time Prabhu deva danced to IR's song?

My curiosity for this movie songs has increased with live recording and all that. Hoping for the best.

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
18th October 2011, 11:44 AM
Some updates on Dhoni:

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/kollywood/prakash-raj-talks-about-dhoni-and-more-415

"...Prabhu Deva, a great friend of mine, makes a special appearance in a song-and-dance sequence.

Was "Masthana" song (and of course for other songs of the movie too...forgot the movie name) the last time Prabhu deva danced to IR's song?

thanks,

Krishnan

Mastaana was composed by Karthik raaja.

I think the last film of Prabhu deva for which Ilaiyaraaja scored music is "Time".

krish244
18th October 2011, 01:31 PM
Raagas, I forgot about TIME! TIME came after that Raasaiya (yes, i googled the movie name). Thanks. Raasaiya is officially by IR (maybe KR was unofficially involved :).

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
20th October 2011, 11:55 AM
I got tickets for the Play. I am not sure about recording the music - because it is a play with dialogues and music will be on background. Will try though!

KV
20th October 2011, 12:34 PM
:thumbsup: Raagas! Congrats! Record cheyyandi, parvaledhu, adjust cheskothaamu!

krish244
22nd October 2011, 10:40 AM
Some preparatory tidbits on "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe" theatre play:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/In-theatre-you-get-to-live-an-immortal-moment/articleshow/10441607.cms

"...The haunting strains of Ilaiyaraaja's music fills the air of Ravindra Bharati and actor Kamal Kamaraju, who was all geared up for the rehearsal of his play, takes a few seconds to compose himself. "The first time I heard what the music maestro has composed for the play, I was speechless.

You can't help but get overwhelmed by emotions when you listen to his tunes when you are on stage," says the Tollywood actor..."

"...I play a young, Biology professor who wants to move up the social ladder and grow in life. And through the course of the play, the character undergoes a complete change. Illaiyaraja's music perfectly sets the mood for your character. For my scenes, he created a young and playful flute composition that is perfectly in sync with who I am in the play," he says..."

thanks,

Krishnan

teja
24th October 2011, 03:09 AM
Sri Rama Rajyam, special promo video, featuring Ilayaraja. Jump to 2:21 for some BGM bits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Jeij1dcWohw

That final comment from maestro is a master stroke :)

MumbaiRamki
2nd November 2011, 12:14 AM
****DIGRESSION***
I never knew venkat's prabhu Poncholai audio was ever released . Decent track, like the prasanth-Raaja combo of aan azagan types. Gana Kuyile makes it mark. An awkard singing yugendran !
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/album/T0002880.html

Shankar.P
4th November 2011, 09:20 PM
Annak kodiyum Kodi veeranum
Bharathi Raja + Ilayaraja + Vairamuthu
the deadly combo is back
pooja on 17th

MumbaiRamki
5th November 2011, 12:33 AM
Shankar. P
Guess old news . GV Prakash is the new MD !

krish244
8th November 2011, 12:38 PM
Audio of "Dhoni" might come out by this month end.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/Prabhu-Deva-shoots-for-Dhoni/articleshow/10652250.cms

"..."Wehave completed 80 per cent of the shoot. The film is likely to hit screens this December and the <B>audio might be released by the end of November</B>..."

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
16th November 2011, 07:40 PM
The Marathi movie 'Hello Jai Hind' is scheduled to release on Nov 25th. So we can expect the audio maybe next week. Any forum member in Mumbai or Pune? Please alert if CD is released.

http://www.maujmaja.com/2011/11/05/hello-jai-hind-release-date-confirmed/

KV
16th November 2011, 09:48 PM
//sureshji, you're wanted here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?6624-Bangalore-Hubbers-Meet/page147)//

krish244
16th November 2011, 10:40 PM
Promo of song sung by Sukhvinder singh and kailash kher for "Hello Jai Hind":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LawAAbnPNtc

At least about 3-4 songs promos of this movie are available in youtube and about 2-3 are sort of having marathi flavour.

thanks,

Krishnan

layman10
17th November 2011, 05:24 AM
All tukkada website review coming in..

http://cinema.currentweek.net/2011/11/sri-rama-rajyam-movie-review-rating.html
Background score awesome

http://www.cinefresh.in/2011/11/sri-rama-rajyam-movie-review-bala.html
Music scored by Illayaraja is Good and Bgm was really superb

http://cineidol.com/telugu/?p=1455
He did perfect justice and set perfect mood for the movie.

And few more..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th November 2011, 09:15 AM
Sri Rama Rajyam, Dhoni, ithellaam yen intha thread la varuthu?!? Intha news ellaam 2011 la illa varaNum? :rolleyes:

teja
17th November 2011, 12:22 PM
Just back from "Sri Rama Rajyam" premier show. Spellbinding score by our Maestro. I don't think we have ever heard such a melodious background score in any other Indian film so far. IR lifts the film to international standards. Movie itself is near perfect. Kudos to Dir Bapu, Nayantara, and the visual effects team. Sri Rama Rajyam sets the standards so high, that it seems almost impossible for any other film in future to match this, especially, in the music department

KV
17th November 2011, 01:42 PM
Nesama dhaan sollreengala? :clap: Balliah padaththayum 300 ruva kuduththu muldiblax la paakavechchruvaar pOla irukke namma raasa. Weekend poidavEndiyadhu dhaan.

sivasub
17th November 2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.supergoodmovies.com/32331/tollywood/sri-rama-rajyam-movie-review-movie-review-details

Music by Ilayaraja is the soul of the film. Every song is good and the background score is excellent.

V_S
17th November 2011, 10:00 PM
Nesama dhaan sollreengala? :clap: Balliah padaththayum 300 ruva kuduththu muldiblax la paakavechchruvaar pOla irukke namma raasa. Weekend poidavEndiyadhu dhaan.
KV,
Expecting a detail review from you :smile:

krish244
17th November 2011, 10:17 PM
Rediff's review:

"...Ilaiyaraja's music is a great asset. The music is not just mellifluous to the ears with some good lyrics by Jonnavithula but is absolutely in sync with the film. Ilaiyaraja is known for his melody and he's proved he's definitely a master of melody. ..."

http://www.rediff.com/movies/report/review-sri-ramarajyam/20111117.htm

Entertainment Oneindia review:

"...

<B>Positive:</B>
Good sets and costumes.
Good direction and screenplay.
<B>Excellent music</B>, graphics and cinematography.

..."

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/telugu/reviews/2011/sri-rama-rajyam-review-171111.html

thanks,

Krishnan

Plum
19th November 2011, 04:07 PM
kaNdEn. Sri 'Raja' Raajyam!

KV
19th November 2011, 04:30 PM
saar. kandEn seethayai nu muduchuttElE? 10 marks essay type answer ezhudhungo.

Sureshs65
19th November 2011, 06:44 PM
Saw 'SreeRamaRajyam' today. Here is an analysis I wrote on twitter:
Well made movie. Bapu's control is evident throughout. A steady screenplay, with neither highs nor lows. Lot of money spent on sets and graphics but tastefully done. Bapu ensures that the movie doesn't get too melodramatic and keeps things under control. Balakrishna looks old but must be lauded for doing a role which is no 'non heroic'. No special dialogs for him. Nayantara looks pretty and the Lava Kusa kids do their job well. Their roles nicely detailed by Bapu. Raja's music and photography / art deco are key to keeping the audience attention. Raja is phenomenal in BGM. The BGM when Sita comes to see her own statue and the end credits are top class. I wish they would release teh end credits. And the way Raja weaves the BGM against the 'sreekaram manoharam' phrase is sheer genius. All in all, a nice movie. Treat for the eyes and ears. Don't expect anything earth shaking and you shall be rewarded. Wish someone would record the end credits of 'SreeRamaRajyam' and post in on the web.

Now waiting for Plum's detailed review.

Plum
19th November 2011, 06:56 PM
It is a firmly old-fashioned movie, so much so that I am skeptical of the national awards so confidently predicted. In an era of Anurag. Kashyap style reinterpretations, the only way such a movie would work is if it is a modern rework with Seetha possibly being a politician's wife who moves in with Ravana or something after he banishes her. I can imagine the awards committee looking askance at each other at the old fashioned story telling and screenplay techniques. So, let's get that out first - no national awards, not even for the music, for if the movie fails to engage them, what attention they'll pay to the music. Likely to be dismissed as melodramatic. Yet, that is precisely what appeals to fans of a bygone era of mythological costume drama. Afterall, Ravi Varma is art, too, though he is likely to be sneered at by World-Art patronising Picasso and Van Gogh (only). (Contd)

Plum
19th November 2011, 07:13 PM
Before further comment, one has to get out the citations first. Balakrishna certainly deserves the appreciation for playing what is more or less a supporting role. He is not on screen most of the time, and when he is, he is either moping or at the receiving end of a few home truths from some one or the other. He does adequately otherwise in what is not a taxing role but demands much in terms of presence, dignity and charisma. Now, outside his fan community, NBK has the charisma of a dry autumn leaf and is not helped by Banthulu-era blue make-up, but helped by a sensible director, who is a tasteful artist known for his painting skills, he musters enough dignity to keep the role above water. Given the nature of the role, it is fair to say, there aren't many alternatives for him in today's scenario.

Plum
19th November 2011, 07:21 PM
Mullapudi Venkat Ramana has been an invariable shadow of Bapu, and while it would take a Telugu expert to pass judgement on his writing, as a layman, what struck me is the simplicity of the dialogues, which were kept minimal in the first place, yielding to Raja's music as the chief mover of the movie. This might be either because Ramana passed away unfortunately during the making of the movie, or a conscious decision. Either way, the move away from padhyams in pure telugu suited me in two ways - a) easy to understand the dialogues b) music moving the movie which is my preference. RIP, Ramana. This may not be a showcase vehicle for you to sign-off with but you played a wise secondary role, and for that, we are grateful.

Plum
19th November 2011, 07:28 PM
Mullapudi Venkat Ramana has been an invariable shadow of Bapu, and while it would take a Telugu expert to pass judgement on his writing, as a layman, what struck me is the simplicity of the dialogues, which were kept minimal in the first place, yielding to Raja's music as the chief mover of the movie. This might be either because Ramana passed away unfortunately during the making of the movie, or a conscious decision. Either way, the move away from padhyams in pure telugu suited me in two ways - a) easy to understand the dialogues b) music moving the movie which is my preference. RIP, Ramana. This may not be a showcase vehicle for you to sign-off with but you played a wise secondary role, and for that, we are grateful.

Plum
19th November 2011, 07:40 PM
Yelamanchala Sai Babu must be a relieved man. It isn't easy backing a mythological vehicle, helmed by a 80 year old Director, and a past-his-prime hero, who is reduced to a supporting role. The script is old-fashioned, the techniques rusty, the art deco a gamble between being called pleasant or garish. In the end, it seems to have succeeded but he had no reason to be optimistic when he started off. He deserves a small bow.

Plum
19th November 2011, 07:56 PM
Finally! Bapu, the 80+ Director, who firmly keeps belief in his old fashioned techniques - at one stage you have Rama speaking out his thoughts to a statue to give us a clue of what the scene is about - he shrewdly invests on two major strengths - a) his own aesthetic sense; an artist first, he helps in shaping the rather middling graphics to tasteful ends, his magic touch straddling the line between garish and grand very effectively. Even the Smooth Blue on Rama isn't as jarring as it could have been. b) his second shrewd choice is to bring Raja's music as the central force of the movie - a choice, it must be emphasised, is not the most obvious. The earlier movies in the genre, while they had pleasant and classic music, paid extra ordinary attention to verses and lyrics, so much so that the tunes and music themselves were subservient to that aspect. Bapu has been shrewd enough to realise that in this era, the one man in his crew who stands heads and shoulders above is the music director. I firmly believe the choice is conscious and pays off brilliantly.Known for his sensitivity, and focus on human relationships, Bapu succeeds in portraying Rama, the human being, for most part. Inescapably, there are several screenplay moments when he has to succumb to the Godliness of his characters - and these are the least engaging moments that bring down the movie from what it could have been. It seems to me that while Bapu is old-fashioned, he is not that conservative to not see the human aspect of the story but is restrained by the need to cater to the divinity-seeking audience. Nevertheless, he captures several sensitive moments of Seetha and Rama, and these are the moments that give the movie its emotional quotient. Sadly, it is not fully realised thanks to the sensitivity of the audience which cannot face a full length human drama starring these characters. In the end, Bapu is part of that audience as well, and I think the movie is exactly what could have come from this internal conflict of Bapu himself - between a free thinking artist sensitive to femininity, and the conservative, religious male underneath. Nevertheless, it is hard to imagine Raja will get a better vehicle and a better director who can dignify his songs/BGM with prime position in the movie. For that, I shall be grateful to the veteran.

Plum
19th November 2011, 08:11 PM
Before I go to the subject and purpose of this series posts, a last note on the supporting actors. The performances range from theatrical to amateur to competent. There isn't much to do for them anyway - Srikanth has exactly two actions to do - be part of the background folding his hands in the presence of elder brother, and resigned anguish in other scenes; the two kids just manage to hold the second half together without being particularly cute or eye-catching; Brahmanandam is gone before you blink. But I have a confession to make - in that, I had to question my strong opinion on two actresses - we'll come to Nayanthara later, but first KR Vijaya. Regulars here know that I have nothing but contempt for her ponga paanai style of "ennangaaa" acts. As Kausalya, she has nothing to do but cry for her son and elder daughter in law, in this movie. So, recipe for disaster? There's a pleasant twist in the tale - Bapu is in control here, and reins in her brilliantly to result in a very, competent, moving performance which brings out the matronly goodness of Kousalya very effectively. Her breakdown in Sita Rama Charitam as Lava-Kusa narrate the Agni Pariksha neatly segues the song into building high emotional pressure, and then as Rama appears on scene and signals the children to continue the tale, it moves into a relieved aftermath of the aGniariksha - the act is clearly an embarassment but they all move on. KRV's breakdown enhanced this segue very well. More you live, more you are surprised and humbled. One last post on Nayanthara before moving on to the main course of my dissertation :)

raja_fan
19th November 2011, 09:42 PM
It is a firmly old-fashioned movie, so much so that I am skeptical of the national awards so confidently predicted. In an era of Anurag. Kashyap style reinterpretations, the only way such a movie would work is if it is a modern rework with Seetha possibly being a politician's wife who moves in with Ravana or something after he banishes her. I can imagine the awards committee looking askance at each other at the old fashioned story telling and screenplay techniques. So, let's get that out first - no national awards, not even for the music, for if the movie fails to engage them, what attention they'll pay to the music. Likely to be dismissed as melodramatic. Yet, that is precisely what appeals to fans of a bygone era of mythological costume drama. Afterall, Ravi Varma is art, too, though he is likely to be sneered at by World-Art patronising Picasso and Van Gogh (only). (Contd)

Plum,

Whether you are religious or not, I don't know or care. But please understand that there are people who are religious, and try to
respect their sentiments. You cannot write your own perversion story and name it Ramayana. And I think you are one of the moderators of this forum. Please act responsibly and be a role model for others.

teja
19th November 2011, 09:44 PM
>>>>

Wish someone would record the end credits of 'SreeRamaRajyam' and post in on the web.

<<<<

Wish granted :) I just uploaded it to Soundcloud. Enjoy!
http://soundcloud.com/pkiran/sri-rama-rajyam-theme-track

Plum
19th November 2011, 09:56 PM
Raja-Fan, easy, friend. I ain't writing no story :). I am not a moderator of this forum nor do I aspire to be a role model therefore your chains don't bind me. If your sentiments are hurt merely by someone writing something you don't like, those are pretty fragile sentiments, indeed. I don't know if I am religious but I believe and have a particular affinity and fascination for Sri Rama and his story. Please spare me your sermons - you are the type that gives a bad name to religion. You are a believer right? Let the Lord determine if I have blasphemed him or not. I am sure that He doesn't need middle-men. P.S: It will also help if you understood what I wrote in the first place

Plum
19th November 2011, 10:28 PM
The selection of Nayanthara for the role had been raising question marks from most people - there were our esteemed "religious" fastidians, looking askance at her christian birth; there were the cultural bodyguards, appalled at her sensuous image; there were the moral guardians who were miffed with her rather "fast" personal life; all these factors being somehow linked to her unsuitability for the role. Even yesterday, a hubber laughed at a movie which had "Balakrishna as Rama and Nayan as Sita, ha ha!", no doubt for a concatenation of above reasons. I had my own reservations - but primarily linked to my perception of her (lack of) skills. Probably biased by Bala Karthik's hilarious description of her screen presence as "always exuding 'adhu', irrespective of the shot requirements", I didn't expect even a competent performance. What I saw, though, was a very competent performance, serenity and poise sitting calmly on her features, sure to bring a Nandi Award. She exuded a calm dignity, and emoted quite well with the turmoil she goes through while trying to figure if Rama had remarried(given that he was performing a Yagna, which is prohibited without a wife), brought out beautifully. It is one of the sequences which starts out beautifully - an estranged wife doubting if her husband had remarried, going through the turmoil but is resolved in the Divine way, with Valmiki arranging for some soul transportation mechanics thereby removing the emotion. This is what I meant when I talked about the Divine element taking away from the human drama. Note that I am not accusing Bapu of pandering to the audience - it is merely that he is also the audience and he cannot resolve it any other way; this is the inner conflict in Bapu that I talked about. Speculation, ofcourse but I am convinced. She is spectacularly comfortable in her skin, and brings poise, grace, charm and elegance to the role. I never thought I would ever say that last sentence so one more dhandakam to Life :bow:

K
19th November 2011, 10:51 PM
http://cablesankar.blogspot.com/2011/11/sri-ramarajyam.html

Sureshs65
20th November 2011, 12:16 AM
raja_fan,

As Plum says it will help all of us if you read what he has written carefully. If you have understood it, you will probably delete your post or ask the moderator to do it!! :)

teja: Thanks for the upload. What a wonderful piece. Just before this starts, there is a Rama chant, which is also fantastic. Anyone going to the theaters, kindly record that as well.

And Plum: Matterukku vaa yaa. Anyway, I agree with everything you have said. Wanted to add one extra thing about Nayantara. There seemed to be a bit of natural sadness in her face, which suited this role perfectly.

V_S
20th November 2011, 04:35 AM
Finally! Bapu, the 80+ Director, who firmly keeps belief in his old fashioned techniques - at one stage you have Rama speaking out his thoughts to a statue to give us a clue of what the scene is about - he shrewdly invests on two major strengths - a) his own aesthetic sense; an artist first, he helps in shaping the rather middling graphics to tasteful ends, his magic touch straddling the line between garish and grand very effectively. Even the Smooth Blue on Rama isn't as jarring as it could have been. b) his second shrewd choice is to bring Raja's music as the central force of the movie - a choice, it must be emphasised, is not the most obvious. The earlier movies in the genre, while they had pleasant and classic music, paid extra ordinary attention to verses and lyrics, so much so that the tunes and music themselves were subservient to that aspect. Bapu has been shrewd enough to realise that in this era, the one man in his crew who stands heads and shoulders above is the music director. I firmly believe the choice is conscious and pays off brilliantly.Known for his sensitivity, and focus on human relationships, Bapu succeeds in portraying Rama, the human being, for most part. Inescapably, there are several screenplay moments when he has to succumb to the Godliness of his characters - and these are the least engaging moments that bring down the movie from what it could have been. It seems to me that while Bapu is old-fashioned, he is not that conservative to not see the human aspect of the story but is restrained by the need to cater to the divinity-seeking audience. Nevertheless, he captures several sensitive moments of Seetha and Rama, and these are the moments that give the movie its emotional quotient. Sadly, it is not fully realised thanks to the sensitivity of the audience which cannot face a full length human drama starring these characters. In the end, Bapu is part of that audience as well, and I think the movie is exactly what could have come from this internal conflict of Bapu himself - between a free thinking artist sensitive to femininity, and the conservative, religious male underneath. Nevertheless, it is hard to imagine Raja will get a better vehicle and a better director who can dignify his songs/BGM with prime position in the movie. For that, I shall be grateful to the veteran. :notworthy:

Great going Plum! :clap: especially the bolded lines. I completely agree on the latter bolded lines. Even though I have not seen the movie to appreciate the BGM, but the songs and the pictures of those gifted musicians from Europe with Maestro itself proved how the BGM was going to be. Yes, this should be a complete one from Maestro and after a long long time Maestro should have quenched his music thirst through this movie. As you said, many many thanks to Bapu.

Please continue sir. Your write-up on Nayantara's performance was too good. Delighted to read your wonderful write-ups. :D

teja
20th November 2011, 10:49 AM
The BGM when Sita comes to see her own statue

====

One more BGM from the above scene. http://soundcloud.com/pkiran/sri-rama-rajyam-theme-track-1

@Suresh, Indeed, that whole 5 min sequence is simply superb! This theme track is a wonderful transformation of the 3rd charanam from 'Devulle mechindi'.

rajkumarc
20th November 2011, 11:35 AM
Lovely posts Plum, great insights, makes me want to watch the movie right away. Waiting for your posts about the music.

Sureshs65
20th November 2011, 11:53 AM
teja,

Exactly. The way he uses the 'Devulle Mechindi' and enhances it with harmony is mind blowing to say the least.

Sureshs65
20th November 2011, 11:57 AM
Here is what I wrote about the BGM when Sita comes to see her own golden statue. (on twitter). Ofcourse I am hoping Plum will elaborate that part even more. He is quite inspired now. Waiting for his posts on music.

"Raja uses the ending of 'Devulle Mechindhi' to create the BGM When you listen to the song / BGM it is instructive to see how Raja brings in the harmony concept into play here enhancing our experience 'aa sparshakku' part. The most important thing is that the music exactly conveys the state of Sita. As I have always said, Raja always restricts himself in such a way that the music finally has to service the emotion. And as the veena comes in with 'sreekaram manoharam' Sita's emotion is completely revealed to us and we feel that emotion as well. This can only be composed by a person who understands music, its grammar, emotions and movie making. And no one does all these better than this man."

Plum
20th November 2011, 03:59 PM
Suresh, you asked for it - a detailed review :). This is why the Chinese said "Be careful what you wish for - you might end up getting it". And then you regret...anyway, I finally will come to the point in the next post. Before that, a final observation - this movie, in the style it is presented, is only possible in Telugu - although one would wonder how it would be if Bapu could stick to the human drama aspect alone. Nevertheless, telugu preykshalu can be proud because otherwise they have the crassest, mass-est moviedom. Perhaps this is their redemption. One can go to Kerala and rendaam moozham for the human aspect, after all.

Plum
20th November 2011, 04:25 PM
At long last, we come to the man of the match - the man whose shoulders have clearly been identified by everyone concerned with the movie as the one to place the burden of interpreting the movie for the audience, and for the commercial success. And he delivers spectacularly. Suresh has pre-empted me on a few scenes so I ought to skip them. Before that, the songs. Most of the songs have a specific purpose and so, are part of the narrative - and this was observed in the audio reviews itself. The 3 story telling songs have been very well used - I had been imagining that they'll play out the scenes as Lava-Kusa sing out the story but rightly, the director let's the Camera stay in the present for a reason. Devulle Mechindhi is the practice song before they leave for Ayodhya and gives us Lava-Kusa's blind acceptance of Rama as the ideal based on what they have been taught. Then the song in the streets of Ayodhya - aptly getting to the point in the first line as "ramayanamu..." - captures their invovlement in the story and the tireless willingness of Ayodhya to hear the story sung. The one thing I missed here was the Emayya Ramayya phrase, which is left unpicturised. Three of my most expected songs and phrases - linger as they do in specific situation and emotions - were left out, which left a bitter taste. Of all of them, this was the most glaring one. That phrase "Emayya Ramayya" is supposed to be the emotional peg to capture the past(leaving for vanavaasam) as well as present(the mirthless aftermath of Sita's banishment). One of the Palace insiders breaksdown at the end of this song, and runs to Kousalya to tell about these new raconteurs. Inexplicably, the phrase most suitable to capture that has been left out. The other misses were the mutliation of Sree Rama Lera which had to be captured in full to show the brief period of bliss after returning from Lanka. Instead, it is broken into pieces and another of the key phrases I was looking forward to - "andharu okate le ramuniki" - left out. The third miss is the melodramatic "Gaali ningi neeru" not being used in full. 2 minutes saved perhaps at the editing table but then the movie worked for me only when it lingered in moments and milked the emotion out of them as opposed to the divinity moments and story-forwarding moments - this was one plum opportunity and therefroe, a sour miss for me. This perhaps was the opportunity to let Srikanth mouth the lines. And finally, Kalaya Nijamaa, where we have Vindoo Dara Singh hopelessly miming out the stanza. While the skip of the pallavi and sudden jump to stanza as a reply from Hanuman to Valmiki worked for me, Vindoo's fifth Standard miming of the lines(no doubt prompted by Assistant Directors) left me wondering if a seasoned performer like Srikanth could have been given these 2 minutes in the other song instead. Those are the minor grouses on the choices made on the songs usage. Otherwise, it is the songs - even more than the BGM - which capture the soul of the movie. As I observed, the segue of Sita rama Charitam between KRV's breakdown worked brilliantly. The choice of this particular portion of the story to be told in the palace worked as well because of the relevance of the Agni Pariksha episode to the unexplainability of the absence of Sita in the palace to Lava-Kusa. Once again, I remember the singers Anita-Keertana with awe. For two unknown singers before this album, they are so professional, and bring out the emotions so beautifully and this is confirmed while watching on screen. Hope to hear more of this pair of talented singers. (Contd)

Plum
20th November 2011, 04:35 PM
The first delivery of the match is a tricky off-cutter - a prosaic return of Rama/Sita and party from Lanka - and the reunion. This is handled in a low-key manner. But Raja starts off spectaculrly with a sixer - Jagadhanandha Karaka sets the mood perfectly for the Rama Rajyam to begin. One would expect that after this spectacular start, one cannot experience another high but then Raja is a combination of Viv-Viru-Sachin-Gower-Laxman-Dravid so this is merely an appetizer. The next few moments weave in and around Sri Rama Lera as Rama-Sita experience their few days of marital bliss in their whole life. I wish they had played out the song straightly instead of weaving in and around but it still works. You can feel the brief peacefull bliss hthe King and Queen enjoy before their wretched destiny takes over. I felt Gaali Ningi Neeru should have been leveraged better during this phase than it actually was. But, the Sri Rama Lera variations during this phase ought to be captured too(task for you Teja).

Plum
20th November 2011, 04:40 PM
The key moment for me when Raja announces "Right folks, this is MY show; fasten your belts" comes as Balaraju comes into picture and Valmiki uses him to change Sita's pensive mood. The movie's mood - heavy and pensive till then - changes at that point; and as the "Doo(n)kudu" Bala Hanuman brings the first laughs of the movie, Raja subtly but clearly announces himself in the background. This is one of the few BGM piecess which don't take off from any of the songs.

Plum
20th November 2011, 04:45 PM
The lava-Kusa growing up is easily serviced by the 2 folk songs as expected. Then the 3 story telling songs are nicely picturised in 3 phases of Lava-Kusa story telling - Devulle Mechindi for the practice at Ashram, Ramayanamu for the Ayodhya Street performance, Sita Rama Charitam for the palace performance; very nicely planned and executed. The phase of the story covered in each phase is also shrewd - with the childhood and goody-goody phases in the prqactice phase explaining the childrens' unquestioned devotion to Rama, the emotional heaviness of Ramayanamu serving to wake up Ayodhyavaaiss to their current sita-less phase, and the grand Sita Rama Charitam neatly sliced to capture the mood in the palace.

Plum
20th November 2011, 04:58 PM
Then comes the brilliant phase described by Suresh - the problem for me during this phase was the soul-transportation mechanics conjured up to resolve a very emotional situation; purely from a movie perspective, I would have preferred to linger on it, and leave the resolution to the end when Sita finally sees Rama after all the years but the need for underlining the divinity pushes the director to let Sita-Rama have a sort of virtual meeting( I half-think a modern parody of the movie can use an online meeting as a substitute for this :lol:). This is an extremely old-fashioned screenplay technique, with soliloquies from Rama punctuating it. This could have been the Cigaratte-walkout moment. Instead, what saves it is Raja again who sensitively weaves in his magic with a powerful play on the "Sreekaram Manoharam" and "Aa sparshakki" phrases. A lazier music director would have just played the Sri Rama Lera variations used before. While reuse of songs as BGM is not a favourite technique of mine, these are cases where the technique genuinely is used for subtle emphasis of the linkage between the happy moments and the current moment. This is not a case where the instruments play out the plain notes of the song - that too the popular ones without relevance. This is thoughtful reuse - and that only through brilliant variations not plain play of notes. That is why Raja is the King of BGM. There will always be newer sensational MDs giving hit songs - but nobody understands a director's vision like Raja. And while this line will be copied and claimed by all MD fans, I feel strongly that that would merely be as a mimicry and a daddy-bigger line, nobody can feel this in the depth of their souls like us.

Sureshs65
20th November 2011, 07:29 PM
Plum,

There is also the scene initially when Rama enters the room while Sita is asleep. The whole BGM conveys such tenderness that Balakrishna needn't even act!! As you said, you feel what Balakrishna feels. I think the actors must first made to act, then Raja records the BGM, later the actors act out the same scene with the BGM played. Lot of these actors may end up with National awards :D

Plum
20th November 2011, 07:46 PM
Oh yes, thay moment was one of the several humanisation moments that show the free-thinking, artistic side of Bapu. I was supposed to mention iy. He has made the hard decision of banishing her, but at that moment, she is still the loving wife, and the way he removes the paan from her fingers is a beautiful moment captured by Bapu. Thankfully, we will not have religious fundamentalists questioning the show of romance between Rama and Sita thanks to other sops offered to them by Bapu in other frames. Another watch is in order I guess...

AravindMano
21st November 2011, 07:38 AM
Quite surprised to see a high profile theatre playing a single show today(manavAdu's are shrewd I say. The only other Indian film managed to play here was Ra One) and jumped in without a thought. Pleasantly surprised - this is more drama than mythological, more human than gods & goddesses. Any film, great or good or bad, running for a good three hours is sure to induce mild head ache - this film too did. But still, I liked the film. I understood most of the film, was a bit disappointed when the song was narrating a story and the people on the screen were just singing singing singing and singing. Show me some visuals ya, then only I will understand the story.

This is love story yA! Yeah, family drama of course, but the romance is beautiful. Never expected Balakrishna to put up such a dignified performance - a couple of expressions / reactions are brilliant. Rama was reduced to a love lorn hubby and a supporting character - but I say again, the romance was beautiful and moving. The tone was set early in the scene in which he watches her sleeping peacefully and never hits a wrong note after that. BK borders high pitch theatrics at few instances - but quite pardonable. I felt really sorry for Rama and I suspect I have been having quite a wrong impression about him all the while. He was crying all the time I say!

The rest of the aspects didn't impress. Not much of stress on the drama or emotions - a single note of gloom, grief or guilt through out. The kids were annoying as they should be in such films, but I have problems with nice kids, never mind. The kids with their war mode on were much tolerable. (Hey! That kids grew but Hanuman never grew ya and nobody bothered ya!) Srikanth was unintentionally funny and shockingly young. I am glad I don't need to re evaluate my opinion about KR Vijaya. Handling of these actors and junior artists show lack of nuance. (Hundreds of people crying is OK, but wiping off their tears in perfect sync and all is too much). Nageswara Rao is the most comfortable in this mythological set up.

Cinematography was good, sets & CG was bad (one minute the tree is before Nayan and she walks thru it and now it's behind her) editing could have been better etc etc., Direction was not visible anywhere, it's almost on auto-pilot mode, everybody knows what this film is about and what to do.

Two people - my favourite artists - Raja and Nayan rule the roost. Nayan is mostly expected to be grieving and she manages to pass muster. A couple of good opportunities she used perfectly. Lot of crying and any other star-actress in this spot might have made herself look ridiculous. And the swayamvaram Nayan is super duper gorgeous.

And of course, our man rises to the occasion. I am still undecided about these guys from Hungary and the instruments they bring along - but certain places were mighty moving I reassured for the zillionth time that I am one helpless fanboy and he is one heck of a composer. Songs gelled well - most of the songs' visuals were funtional and that magnified the songs' sweetness. I think Seetha Seemandham is the best song in this album. Walked out of the screen last after all the music stopped. These days there is a sinking feeling that he is growing old everyday and couldn't shake it off at all. Somehow that blinds all my appreciations.

Couldn't help wonder that Ramayana is possibly the most used family-saga screenplay with all possible variations.

And the place where Lava and Kusa did that war on their dad is very close to my native, I proudly announce. It's like four kilometers away and I am sure one or two arrows would have fell on our place definitely.

And I never understand why people standing at the end of the crowd always sincerely throw flowers at the distant kings and gods. So much waste ya. Pliss to consider.

AravindMano
21st November 2011, 07:38 AM
Plum - Sooperb posts, I say.

V_S
21st November 2011, 09:52 AM
Then comes the brilliant phase described by Suresh - the problem for me during this phase was the soul-transportation mechanics conjured up to resolve a very emotional situation; purely from a movie perspective, I would have preferred to linger on it, and leave the resolution to the end when Sita finally sees Rama after all the years but the need for underlining the divinity pushes the director to let Sita-Rama have a sort of virtual meeting( I half-think a modern parody of the movie can use an online meeting as a substitute for this :lol:). This is an extremely old-fashioned screenplay technique, with soliloquies from Rama punctuating it. This could have been the Cigaratte-walkout moment. Instead, what saves it is Raja again who sensitively weaves in his magic with a powerful play on the "Sreekaram Manoharam" and "Aa sparshakki" phrases. A lazier music director would have just played the Sri Rama Lera variations used before. While reuse of songs as BGM is not a favourite technique of mine, these are cases where the technique genuinely is used for subtle emphasis of the linkage between the happy moments and the current moment. This is not a case where the instruments play out the plain notes of the song - that too the popular ones without relevance. This is thoughtful reuse - and that only through brilliant variations not plain play of notes. That is why Raja is the King of BGM. There will always be newer sensational MDs giving hit songs - but nobody understands a director's vision like Raja. And while this line will be copied and claimed by all MD fans, I feel strongly that that would merely be as a mimicry and a daddy-bigger line, nobody can feel this in the depth of their souls like us.
Kalakkal post again Plum :notworthy: A clear example (the first bolded part) how Maestro has raised our expectations right from 70s till date and lived up to our expectations. When BGM first got popular through Maestro, everyone started to appreciate its intricacies gradually and now see where Maestro has gotten/spoiled us.:smile: "Reuse of songs as BGM itself is bore nowadays". I agree on this. He is taking our music sense too high every time, and we cannot drop it down an inch, even if we think. Very grateful to him. I should not miss watching this film in theatre. Thanks Plum for your detail posts, very enlightening!

KV
21st November 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm couldn't watch the movie over the weekend :( Thanks for the detailed posts Plum (Sureshji and AM), but I'm going to catchup with these posts only after I see the movie.

Plum
21st November 2011, 12:49 PM
V-S, KV - pOi seekkiram pArunga. You'll not regret. I have taken my wife to six movies in Chennai - and this is the first time I got an approving smile at the end of the movie. Other movies reactions were respectively: Endhiran - "WTH", Man Ambu - "meh", Yuddham Sei - "En indha kolaiverida?", Deiva ThirumagaL - aiyago", Mankatha - "I'll never go to a movie of your choice again!", Ra One(her selection) - "Ha ha I got my revenge on you".

KV
21st November 2011, 01:43 PM
:lol: looked like you guys needed some sorta divine intervention in your movie streak!

Mine's a case of battle of one man versus an army.
kuroop: we're watching tintin today. be there.
me: i'm watching another movie today. you guys carry on.
k: where? which one? we'll also come
me: er.. sriramarajyam.. telugu..
k(gulti guy): orey... you seeing balliah movie na? entra aindhi neeku?
me: no no.. jesht for music
k: cut the crap. tintin it is.
I was kidnapped thus and made to watch tintin (in 3D, where I don't seem to get the 3rd D at all).

Plum
21st November 2011, 02:03 PM
Tell your gult friend it is not a Baliah movie, it is a Bapu movie. Surely he knows the director's standing in telugu cinema. While the conflict I talked about might never make rest of India warm up to Bapu, he is a giant locally, and sure garners enoguh respect to outgun the Baliah factor? Infact, that is the case among my telugu acquaintances. Bapu_Ir factor easily overrides the Baliah factor.

Punnaimaran
21st November 2011, 02:28 PM
Nice write ups Plum. Makes me want to see the movie somehow.

raagas
21st November 2011, 02:32 PM
Tell your gult friend it is not a Baliah movie, it is a Bapu movie. Surely he knows the director's standing in telugu cinema. While the conflict I talked about might never make rest of India warm up to Bapu, he is a giant locally, and sure garners enoguh respect to outgun the Baliah factor? Infact, that is the case among my telugu acquaintances. Bapu_Ir factor easily overrides the Baliah factor.

Bapu is famous in the North also Plum. He made many films in Hindi, in 80s. Infact, it was Bapu who discovered/introduced Anil Kapoor. I loved many of his films!

Ofcourse, his sensibilities can be appreciated only by Telugus. His shot taking etc. The frames we get to see in his films, are just extensions of his paintings/sketches. Every shot has an accompanying sketch. Just like a director has script in hand while filming shots, Bapu has 2 things - script book and sketch book. India has never seen an artist-cum-filmmaker like Bapu. If only we can get hold of his sketchbooks - they themselves are worth millions. I do have some books (of cartoons/jokes) by him. classic stuff!

Plum
21st November 2011, 02:59 PM
Oh yes that's what I meant - even in SRR titles, you can see some of the sketches (most likely made by Bapu for this movie). Long back, when I was just getting introduced to Telugu, I heard the term "Bapu geesina BommE nuvVA(implying a beautiful woman)" in some film song, and that's how I got interested and learnt that he is an artist-cum-filmmaker. It is pretty obvious that he has an uniquely telugu sensibility and that of a previous generation, and needs to be seen in that context to be appreciated.

raagas
21st November 2011, 03:00 PM
About Sri Rama Rajyam - I wont say I liked it but i admire their conviction to remake a classic film (Lava Kusa).

Positives: Restrained performances, Songs and great background score, simple language, nice sets designs.
Negatives: The costumes were not right for some characters. I mean the colours... the rings worn by Rama/Lakshmana looked like streetpicks. The citizens of Ayodhya looked so common. and like ArvindMano said, they all wipe tears at the same time. Also, the excessive graphics. Even the deer and peacock are graphics. And generally, a lot of footage is on graphics.

But then, I know we cant expect the makers to do another Lord of the rings kind of graphics. Within the means they had, they did. commendable.

Loved the background score. And i think I can now predict when exactly would IR prefer a Budapest orchestra. After Pazhassi Raja, Hey Ram, Guru, Lajja, SRR and Happi - it is now easy to predict which films would entice him to use the orchestra.

app_engine
21st November 2011, 10:49 PM
Great write-ups, Plum!

rajasaranam
22nd November 2011, 12:22 PM
I've posted 3 BGM clips from the movie SriRamaRajyam Here:
Doubting Rama whether he has remarried, Seetha visits Rama's palace in invisible form. She looks at her own statue and gets know Rama's love for her. Rama senses her presence and starts searching heart wrenching scene enhanced by equally heart wrenching music!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/anYq3zMl7sw
Rama Decides to Send Seetha to Forest the next day and visits her Bedroom! She is asleep. He looks at her with heavy heart! A small scene but made meaningful with BGM of Raaja!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/lfx6xNY6CHc
Decided her work is complete in the world Seetha prays her mother Bhoomidevi to take her back. Earth opens up and engulfs her amidst the cry of Rama, Lava & Kusha.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/tXO7M6vPKjg
enjoy!

KV
22nd November 2011, 12:25 PM
nEnu choosEnu! Not bad, really.

I didn’t go expecting to see a drama (didn’t read any review/posts) and was pleasantly surprised. It’s like as though Bapu picked a tale about a lovelorn couple and then decided to set it in a grand, godly setup. You could easily place the central theme in any setting or timeframe and it’d still make an interesting watch. It surely doesn’t need look-at-me graphics or kilos of glittering ornaments (that could put a mallu wedding to shame) to enhance it. And this is what gives the movie an edge over the Doordarshan-Sunday-morning format mythological movies. Frankly, I know very little about this director and his repertoire and I even feared being put through some white-painted-bodies-with-big-black-wigs sort of stuff from some god movies of the yore (blame it on my ignorance and Baliah’s blue paint). Surprise again, there isn’t a villain in the movie at all and Bapu doesn’t tread the line of the done-to-death triumph of good over evil. Quite shamefully on my part, I wasn’t even aware of such a tale in the Ramayana where Sita is abandoned by her kin when in a condition where a woman is expected to be showered with affection and care. And the Sita portrayed here is no meek woman of the household. She is strong-willed and takes things in her stride, even though she’s emotionally torn by the unjust turn of her fate. I could’ve misread the scene here (thanks to my weak Telugu), but when Lakshman leaves her in the forest and tells a puzzled Sita that it is the king’s order to abandon her there, she tells him that she, while being his anni/thalli, is also the queen of the kingdom and challenges the value of her command, which she expects to be, at least somewhat, as powerful as the king’s. The climax is again, in a way, is an ode to her strength. She has the choice of uniting with her husband, whom she has been yearning for in all the years of separation, but instead, she stays firm on her decision of going away with bhoomi maatha. Whoever said there was no feminism whatsoever back then!
Can someone throw some light on the exact meaning of this ending, please? Is it that she’s punishing herself for suspecting Rama, who she thinks could’ve married another woman before performing the yagna? Or is it an act of retribution against Rama for having abandoned her and the kids?

Talk with any AP guy about a movie, and you’re sure to hear the term ‘taking’. Bapu, like plum pointed out in his review, tries to saddle two horses at the same time and the end result is evidently mixed. There are some very touching and poetic moments but they’re all packaged in a garish mix of silk, satin, velvet and gold. Some of his framings, like the scene with Rama on his knees sitting next to Sita, have a poetic beauty and canvas-painting-like quality to them. The lead pair was adequate, no great shakes but restrained, and thankfully not annoying, quite in contrast with the rest of the ensemble that seemed to memorize and recite every single word uttered on screen. The kids were nearly unbearable in their goody-goody tone and attitude, but heck, what else can one expect from godly offspring!

Whenever Sita cried out ‘Rama Rama’ on screen, all my ears heard was ‘Raja Raja’! It isn’t really an expect-the-unexpected score like Azhagarsami, but a majestic one tailored beautifully to travel along with the movie. The recurring theme of sweeping violins playing bits from Sree Rama Lera is hauntingly lovely. And his special liking for the oboe shows here as well; some very nice pieces. The songs are placed aptly and utilized well in the story telling (and I like the songs even more now). My only gripe is the synth beats creeping in even into a mythological, that too when the rest of the score is such an acoustic delight. Anyway, that’s too little in comparison with rest of the score, so its fine. The hall had three people including me and it was glad to see a full movie without a mobile annoyingly ringing somewhere. I managed to record most of the score, but will have to do some editing (to remove the dialog-only portions) before sharing it.

KV
22nd November 2011, 12:30 PM
nice posts there plum! :clap:
:lol: AM, matching matching andi.. same bloodu!

Plum
22nd November 2011, 01:00 PM
KV - well done. Upload, please!Rajasaranam - vAngO a theist :-). Ippo sollungo KadavuL irukkArA? Thanks for the uplodads!

Sureshs65
22nd November 2011, 08:15 PM
Plum,

Who said Rajasaranam is an atheist. He always believes that #RajaIsGod :)

Sureshs65
22nd November 2011, 08:16 PM
The Marathi movie is supposed to be releasing on 25th Nov. Anyone has any clue if the music is out?

V_S
22nd November 2011, 08:27 PM
KV, Excellent, :clap: thank you very much for your detailed review.
RS, Thanks a lot for the youtube uploads, will hear it once I reach home today.

I am planning to watch the movie this thursday, not sure if I will be able to make it.

Plum
23rd November 2011, 12:14 AM
KV, on sita's final decision , here's my wife's take: "unakku idhE poyappA pOchu. Ayodhikku ittunu pOva vEndiyadhu. pOva sollo azhukkAna thuNi thovaichu kAyarathukuLLa kAttukku pOmmEna vEndiyadhu. Idhukku nAn enga aathA vootulEyE nimmadhiyA iruppEnE". Before raja_fan turns up :yessir:

kiru
23rd November 2011, 04:39 AM
I have never thought Ramayana is a great epic. the impressive excerpts of Kambaramayanam that I read enhanced only my respect for the language and not for the subject matter. Some of our family friends (with names like ravanan :-) ) claim it is an epic from the north but my other learned tamil friends assure me it is part/parcel of the ethos of the whole subcontinent. Whatever it is it is a clear portrayal of the second-class status of women in the society those days. Ramayanam and mahabaratham hailed as greatest epics of our country are also the ones I am very defensive about. Somebody set me right :-) Anyways, I will never be able to appreciate the Ram fervor of my fellow countrymen.
rajasaranam has tried but if somebody could upload high quality soundtracks I will really appreciate ..

raja_fan
23rd November 2011, 05:16 PM
KV, on sita's final decision , here's my wife's take: "unakku idhE poyappA pOchu. Ayodhikku ittunu pOva vEndiyadhu. pOva sollo azhukkAna thuNi thovaichu kAyarathukuLLa kAttukku pOmmEna vEndiyadhu. Idhukku nAn enga aathA vootulEyE nimmadhiyA iruppEnE". Before raja_fan turns up :yessir:

Yes Plum sir !
I am here, not because I wanted to continue to argue , but because you have unnecessarily provoked me with this particularly post of yours.
I do not want to comment anything if you think you are too smart in your posts and interpretations about Ramayana, but you also think world cares about what your wife has to say on this !!
Who next ? :)
Carry on !

Plum
23rd November 2011, 06:01 PM
R-F: sorry for hurting you. Btw, I generally don't care for people read my posts are not - primarily because if I like them, I re-read them often for my own pleasure. We are narcisstic that way. En kadamai post seyvadhodu mudigiRadhu. Ungalukku pidikkudho pidikkalaiyo unga ishtam/kashtam.

Sureshs65
23rd November 2011, 10:40 PM
/Dig

kiru,

I personally don't have any problems with the epics. They depict a time and a set of morals of that time. There is no need to be defensive at all. I have read other epics from around the world starting from Old Testament and I can assure you all epics have their own issues, if you see them with our current vision. V S Naipaul, even in his younger days when he was spewing venom about India, had good words to say about Ramayana. Ofcourse it will take a long long essay to show why it is such a great epic.

I also want nothing to do with the Rama Senas but that is a different topic.

/End Dig

Plum
23rd November 2011, 10:59 PM
Suresh, nicely put. The two extreme views - putting down the epics without making an attempt to engage deeply and equally, blind acceptance and touchiness about it - both disturb me.

irir123
24th November 2011, 12:01 AM
guess ramayanam is a sentimental drama and if one looks at it from a lyrical / literary perspective as one would look at Shakespeare's or even Tennesse Williams works, then it shdnt matter much

as for morals, they are but a reflection of the times - it was considered ok and even a moral neccessity for a woman to jump into her husband's funeral pyre (probably its still being practised in some rural parts of northern india) 50 years ago, honor killing of newly wed couples with the boy /girl from different caste backgrounds still being practised and accepted in many places in india, etc etc, just the same way sharia is practised in islamic countries around the world

wonder if someone would take a different / radical look at the conventionally accepted story of rama - sita and give a twist showing rama's advances towards other women in the absence of sita !! ? perhaps we need a desi Dan Brown to come up with something like that to challenge the 'holy cows' of indian mythology!

for the 'so-called' morals espoused and practised during biblical times, watch / read Richard Dawkins' 'The God Delusion'! it was morally acceptable to kill ones own son to appease 'god'(yaweh the jewish one) and also stone ppl to death etc etc - and later on, it was acceptable to burn women at the stake for charges of heresy and practising witchcraft etc - but those times were different and real

likewise ramayana if not taken as a sentimental story, but a series of events that allegedly happened, ought to looked at time-context wise

vem
25th November 2011, 04:35 AM
nobody gives a hoot if one likes Ramayana or not.
Let's stick to music here instead of throwing our own biases--people come here for discussions on music and nothing more.

teja
25th November 2011, 08:31 AM
SPB on Ilayaraja's work for Sri Rama Rajyam. Says IR truly deserves an oscar for this film.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmjma8_s-p-balasubramani-talks-about-sri-rama-rajyam-movie-02_shortfilms

raja_fan
25th November 2011, 08:40 AM
- deleted by mod -

krish244
25th November 2011, 09:03 AM
Hello jai hind is releasing this friday. Till now no news about audio release!

www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Mumbai/Marathi-film-on-26-11-releases-this-Friday/Article1-773259.aspx

thanks,
Krishnan

KV
25th November 2011, 10:35 AM
Why does this goose-hunt syndrome keep repeating for almost every new album? :sigh2:
Padithurai was also supposed to be out this year, neither has that seen the light. Happi also seems to have bitten the dust. tch...

RR
25th November 2011, 12:18 PM
raja_fan, your reply was also not warranted.

Anyway guys, let's get back to the music discussion.

raagas
25th November 2011, 01:33 PM
Padithurai
Happi
SRK

the music of all these films is ready... but lying in cans :-(

raja_fan
25th November 2011, 02:32 PM
raja_fan, your reply was also not warranted.

Anyway guys, let's get back to the music discussion.

RR, are you the moderator ?
If so, my reply would have been unwarranted if you had stopped people from the discussion before me pointing that to you..
Otherwise, my reply was very much needed.

Plum
25th November 2011, 05:59 PM
Dear Raja-Fan, I would just like to say that a little digression is inevitable in any thread. That's what happened. Ramayana is an Indian epic. I am an Indian. Heck, even if I am not, as a human, I have as much share in it as you. So, you cannot claim that we have to look at it your way only. Combining the above two points, there was nothing wrong with what was posted before. Your sanctimonious tone is what changed the mood of the thread so RR is right. Anyway, emotion blinds us so I can understand. I see the point in not discussing it further here. Since you are so riled up, I intend to transfee these discussions to the Indian Films thread and invite participants there. That would be fine by you no?

rajaramsgi
25th November 2011, 07:42 PM
அட ஏம்பா அடிச்சுகிறீங்க? நம்ம எல்லோருக்கும் பொதுவான ராஜா விஷயங்கள சந்தோஷமா பகிர்ந்துக்கலாமே? I am a silent visitor to tfmpage every single day for over 13 years, seen many things here. நம்ம எல்லோரையும் இணைச்சது அந்த புண்ணியவான் தான். நமக்குள்ள ஏங்க வம்பு?

rajaramsgi
25th November 2011, 07:50 PM
My 13 years with tfmpage is really longer.. 5 more years more than my son's age, 3 years longer than my married life. I am with tfmpage for almost 35% of my life. Every single day I visited tfmpage, more than few times some days. I used to post a lot with tfmpage before login/passwd was introduced to post messages. Now I started posting as well.. Love you guys, I read every single posts on Raja's new and tidbits as well as Raja's new albums. Thank you guys, It is Raja who united us all from different back grounds..

thank you all again. I wont be a silent visitor anymore.

app_engine
25th November 2011, 07:57 PM
rajaramsgi,

நிறைய எழுதுங்கள்!

:-)

RR
25th November 2011, 09:19 PM
raja_fan, I'm not replying to you since others have pretty much what I wanted to say. If you need any clarification, pm me.

rajaramsgi: :thumbsup: naradhar kalagam nanmayil mudinthathu pola.. vaarungal. Keep posting!

On the topic of Sri rama jeyam, I liked 'kalaya nijama' a lot. IR gives a sallapam/soorya after a long time..

Sureshs65
25th November 2011, 10:12 PM
Song samples of 'Hello Jai Hind'. Sharing it hear. Havent heard it yet.

http://www.hellojaihind.com/

Sureshs65
25th November 2011, 10:37 PM
rajaramsgi,

In your name you have both Raja and Ram, so let us know if you liked the music of 'SreeRamaRajyam' :) Looking forward to you posting often.

thumburu
25th November 2011, 11:34 PM
raja_fan, I'm not replying to you since others have pretty much what I wanted to say. If you need any clarification, pm me.

rajaramsgi: :thumbsup: naradhar kalagam nanmayil mudinthathu pola.. vaarungal. Keep posting!

On the topic of Sri rama jeyam, I liked 'kalaya nijama' a lot. IR gives a sallapam/soorya after a long time..

This naradhar kalagam also managed to bring RR out of such a long hiatus . yes, Sallapam after the masterpiece "isaiarasi", but my grouse being its shortness and SPB not singing it even though Tippu was adequate.

Sureshs65
25th November 2011, 11:54 PM
thumburu,

In the movie, unfortunately that short song was made even shorter!!

Hulkster
26th November 2011, 08:21 AM
Loved the Hello Jai Hind Songs. There is a already a movie review indicating that thalaivar's songs perfectly match the script's situations. Every song is a winner with atleast three songs having strong qawwali flavour in the rhythms. Anagana showcases 0.00001% of thalaivar's orchestration extraordinaire where the qawwali rhythm is seamlessly changed from a traditional tabla base to a western drum base.

kameshratnam
26th November 2011, 08:49 AM
Dear All,

I edited 2 songs of thiruvasagam and they are in the link below

hear them and let me know your comments

http://soundcloud.com/kameshratnam/3pooerukonumpurantharum

http://soundcloud.com/kameshratnam/2pollaavinayen

thanks
Kamesh

Sureshs65
26th November 2011, 09:58 AM
Hulk,

Your observation based on samples you heard on the site? Any other links to the full songs? I am sure CDs will not release in Bangalore. Need to get someone in Mumbai to get them.

irir123
26th November 2011, 10:28 AM
- deleted by mod -

Plum
26th November 2011, 12:07 PM
irir - let's take it to a different thread in Indian Films section. Pliss to wait..will create and link here.

rajaramsgi
27th November 2011, 12:32 AM
SPB talks about Sri Rama Rajyam in telugu. In part 2, around 3:58 he praises Raja for SRR's music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv5X3qg1eE4 (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBXJcoxvJc4 (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Sr0GU9OSI (Part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvY7zYZgsB8 (Part 4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOKBBeS12KI (Part 5)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
27th November 2011, 07:48 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/bseshadri/status/137924955429027840

ட்விட்டர் இசை வல்லுநர்கள் எல்லோரும் ஒரேமாதிரியாக ஸ்ரீ ராம ராஜ்யம் படத்தின் இசையை உயர்த்திச் சொல்லியதால் எல்லாப் பாடல்களையும் கேட்டேன்...
https://twitter.com/#!/bseshadri/status/137925252649984000

அப்படி என்ன இதில் ஸ்பெஷல்? என் அறிவுக்கு எட்டிய வரை, பாடல்கள் எல்லாம் மிகச் சாதாரணமாகத்தான் உள்ளன...

What say?!?

sivasub
27th November 2011, 05:57 PM
Very mixed reviews, but thumbs up for the music

http://thecommonmanspeaks.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/hello-jai-hind-marathi-movie-review/

Well-known music composer Ilayaraja’s Marathi film debut deserves appreciation. The background score and Amalendu Chaudhary’s cinematography are worth mentioning and so are the dialogues.

http://blog.babysoft.in/hello-jai-hind-review/

Illaiyaraaja’s music enhance it further, making it a worthy addition to the films that have begun emerging from the fast-evolving Marathi film industry

http://wogma.com/movie/hello-jai-hind-review/

A special mention must go to maestro Illaiyaraaja, who has given the music for the film. Few men can come up with melodies that go with the moment or the occasion like the great man, and his music is an asset to this film. Be it the ‘Ganpati Ala’ track or the songs sung by Sukhwinder, Kailash Kher and Hariharan respectively, the music is from the soul - not the kind that would find its way into iPods across the nation, but the kind which one would *not* fast-forward while watching on DVD. One only wishes that Illaiyaraaja does more films, even if they are regional or offbeat.

sivasub
27th November 2011, 06:16 PM
Another one...

http://www.marathimovieworld.com/review/hello-jai-hind-review.php

Music being the heart of Marathi films, this film has very effectively presented few songs to go well with certain situations in the screenplay. The wonderful compositions of Illyaraja, who makes his debut in Marathi through this film, match very well with the script.

Sureshs65
27th November 2011, 09:33 PM
Sivasub,

I had read most of the reviews. Not sure how well the movie would do going by the reviews.

Anyway still searching for the full soundtrack. This has probably been the most difficult sound track of Raja to track down!! Hope someone gets their hands on it soon.

jaiganes
27th November 2011, 11:24 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/bseshadri/status/137924955429027840

https://twitter.com/#!/bseshadri/status/137925252649984000

What say?!?

to each his/her own.
but the phrase that underlines the tweets - "arivukku ettina varai".
Atleast he doesnt say "indha payam puippu".

teja
28th November 2011, 05:58 AM
Just uploaded one more theme track from "Sri Rama Rajyam". Check out the part from 0:59 on wards, just fabulous!. http://soundcloud.com/pkiran/sri-rama-rajyam-background

buggle
28th November 2011, 09:16 PM
SPB talks about Sri Rama Rajyam in telugu. In part 2, around 3:58 he praises Raja for SRR's music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv5X3qg1eE4 (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBXJcoxvJc4 (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Sr0GU9OSI (Part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvY7zYZgsB8 (Part 4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOKBBeS12KI (Part 5)

Can Suresh or someone else translate it for non-telugu IR fans please???

Hulkster
29th November 2011, 11:41 AM
Hulk,

Your observation based on samples you heard on the site? Any other links to the full songs? I am sure CDs will not release in Bangalore. Need to get someone in Mumbai to get them.

Yup just the samples. This will be probably one of the hardest albums to come across. Probably AgiMusic can get hold of this as soon as possible.

Sureshs65
29th November 2011, 04:39 PM
Too much out there to translate buggle. Reg Raja he says,"The songs had become a bit hit even before the release of the movie. Ofcourse some people were comparing the songs with songs of old Lava Kusa. This is natural. But once people saw the songs in the movie, they were stunned as to how well the songs have come out. When people heard that instrumentalists were coming from Western nations for the BGM, they were confused and asked, "Does this movie need western orchestration"? But it is not about the instruments. Violin was never an Indian instrument, neither was Mandolin. The way the instruments are played never gives you a foreign feeling. If someone has music sense, they will award Oscar for this score. He has elevated so many scenes with his music in this film. Pranams to my brother Illayaraja"

KV
29th November 2011, 04:47 PM
//sureshji, b'lore meet thread paarungo//

Sureshs65
29th November 2011, 05:32 PM
/Dig

KV,

Saw and sent details to Nov. Can you send me your mail id / contact via PM so that we can sync up

/End Dig

raajarasigan
29th November 2011, 05:37 PM
Suresh ji, mikka Nandri hai for your translation :D

skr
29th November 2011, 09:45 PM
Enga Pa Bangalore Meet thread ?, Engeyum paaka mudiyalaye .Link pls .

Thanks Sureshji for the translation .

buggle
30th November 2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks Suresh, I did mean only the IR part alone and as expected you did that...

KV
8th December 2011, 01:01 AM
finally got around to uploading SRR bgm (http://www.4shared.com/folder/CUZyBz0u/sriramarajyam_bgm.html). (I didn't do any editing though, just uploaded em all, manichchukOngo!).

V_S
8th December 2011, 06:36 AM
Wow! Thanks a lot KV for this superb effort. :clap: Can't wait to listen to it. Will have to devote sometime this weekend exclusively for this.

layman10
8th December 2011, 08:11 PM
Hello Jaihind review (may be old) http://wogma.com/movie/hello-jai-hind-review/

A special mention must go to maestro Illaiyaraaja, who has given the music for the film. Few men can come up with melodies that go with the moment or the occasion like the great man, and his music is an asset to this film. Be it the ‘Ganpati Ala’ track or the songs sung by Sukhwinder, Kailash Kher and Hariharan respectively, the music is from the soul - not the kind that would find its way into iPods across the nation, but the kind which one would *not* fast-forward while watching on DVD. One only wishes that Illaiyaraaja does more films, even if they are regional or offbeat.

Outsiders often get what is IRs music about, Tamil reporters, even many hubbers don't.

krish244
12th December 2011, 12:47 PM
IR will be scoring for a new bilingual (tamil and telugu) untitled movie starring Aadhi and Tapsee:

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/dec-11-02/taapsee-aadhi-12-12-11.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
20th December 2011, 03:01 PM
Any idea about this film "Mudhalvar Mahatma": http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/tamil-nadu/article2726867.ece The movie has 7 songs! heard about this film sometime ago but didnt know that it had so many songs. Is the audio out?

RR
1st January 2012, 11:45 AM
Happy New Year to all fans..! This thread has become too long.. Anyone wants to create a new thread for 'New albums 2012'..?

raajarasigan
2nd January 2012, 11:22 AM
Happy New Year to all fans..! This thread has become too long.. Anyone wants to create a new thread for 'New albums 2012'..?:yes: we can create a new thread for 2012

Plum
2nd January 2012, 01:06 PM
I propose Suresh65 to open the new thread...

Sureshs65
2nd January 2012, 01:20 PM
Plum,

Done :)

Sureshs65
2nd January 2012, 02:13 PM
The new thread for Raja's 2012 music is here: http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9643-Raja-s-New-Albums-2012

I have also done a review of his 2011 in the same thread. So please read and put in your comments.