PDA

View Full Version : Illogical @ nonsense @ BS scene from tamil movies

singgakutty
16th November 2009, 08:07 AM
[tscii:6ac05cfa7a]Before I start, I need to clarify that this thread is not meant to attack any particular actors or directors.. I just want to share with other forummers on some of the illogical, unbelieveable, nonsense (or whatever you may call it) scenes and storyline from tamil movies..

Ok, let us start..

From kuruvi, the scene where our hero, vijay jump from the top of a building ( or maybe he was flying) to a railway track which I think about at least 500 meter from the building.. the whole theatre were laughing..
I feel like kicking our hero..

Baba – our hero, superstar rajni’s shoe was flying and hitting the bad guys and came back to his feet.. again, the whole theatre were laughing.. and I was wondering whether it is a shoe or a boomerang..

Again.. I am sure some of the forummers here will come out with statements like ‘if you don’t like don’t watch it’, ‘are you a fan of ****** (insert any tamil actors here)’…

More to come..
[/tscii:6ac05cfa7a]

Nerd
16th November 2009, 09:41 AM
[tscii:dd6e4f4a68]

Baba – our hero, superstar rajni’s shoe was flying and hitting the bad guys and came back to his feet.. again, the whole theatre were laughing.. and I was wondering whether it is a shoe or a boomerang..

Baba is a fantasy film and thalaivar acted as God's incarnation. Do you get it??

I know I am sort of giving too much credit there but your BS post made me do so.[/tscii:dd6e4f4a68]

VinodKumar's
16th November 2009, 09:42 AM
Yarum vara maatanga ...

yaena here kku there u dark green :rotfl3:

singgakutty
16th November 2009, 11:08 AM
[tscii:9cd0b6dc70]

Baba is a fantasy film and thalaivar acted as God's incarnation. Do you get it??

I know I am sort of giving too much credit there but your BS post made me do so.[/tscii:9cd0b6dc70]

ohhh.. here we go..

fantasy film?? something like japanese cartoon? no wonder japanese love rajni films.. LOL!

singgakutty
16th November 2009, 11:15 AM
more..

anniyan - this is quite technical.. remember the scene in the police station.. prakash raj with vikram... when he asked vivek to get out.. vivek switched on the cctv.. then later the scene where the 'anniyan' switches his identity.. prakash raj saying something about rajni kamal sivaji mgr..

it was all supposed to be recorded by the cctv.. later in the court, the recording was shown.. and guess what.. the recording shown was the actual clip from the movie itself complete with the sound effect..

i say wtf? does this ppl even know what is cctv?

Raikkonen
16th November 2009, 11:17 AM
singakutty evalavu periya mechanical... cctv clip ellam notice pannirukkar.. :bow:

VinodKumar's
16th November 2009, 11:30 AM
Singakuttyae illogical la irrukae :lol2: :yessir: :yessir:

singgakutty
16th November 2009, 11:51 AM
:oops: singgakutty illogical?? care to explain? :P

anyway.. here is another one.. i will let you guys guess the movie..

the mother gave birth to twins.. they got separated as usual.. of course the parents does not make a police report.. someone else find the other baby and adopt/ start raising the child as their own..

one day after 20 years (or 18 or 25, not more than that) they saw each other and they realise that while one has become a policeman, another one has become a thief .. the funny thing is they will only meet after 20 years.. not before that

:rotfl:

leosimha
16th November 2009, 01:45 PM
:oops: singgakutty illogical?? care to explain? :P

anyway.. here is another one.. i will let you guys guess the movie..

the mother gave birth to twins.. they got separated as usual.. of course the parents does not make a police report.. someone else find the other baby and adopt/ start raising the child as their own..

one day after 20 years (or 18 or 25, not more than that) they saw each other and they realise that while one has become a policeman, another one has become a thief .. the funny thing is they will only meet after 20 years.. not before that

chingagutty, can't get it?

saradhaa_sn
17th November 2009, 11:16 AM
இதுபோல ஏற்கெனவே ஒரு த்ரெட் இருந்ததுன்னு நினைக்கிறேன். இருந்தாலும், இதுபோன்ற "..........."களை எத்தனை முறை வேண்டுமானாலும் பேசலாம்.

நான் சொல்வது இவர் படம், அவர் படம் என்றில்லை. எவர் படத்திலும் உள்ளதுதான். அதாவது கதாநாயகன் சுட்டதும் வில்லனின் அடியாட்கள் 'சட்'டென்று ஒரே குண்டில் விழுந்து 'பட்'டென்று உயிரை விடுவார்கள். ஆனால் கதாநாயகன் மட்டும் பத்து குண்டுகள் துளைத்தபின்னும், பத்துபேரை அடித்து சாய்த்துவிட்டு, ஐந்துநிமிடம் வசனம் பேசிவிட்டு செத்துப்போவார். (அல்லது பிழைத்துக்கொள்வார். அப்போது டாக்டரின் வசனம் "சரியான நேரத்தில் கொண்டு வந்தீங்க. இன்னும் ஐந்து நிமிடம் லேட் பண்ணியிருந்தீங்கன்னா....")

சிங்கக்குட்டி,

வளர்ந்த கதாநாயகனை அறிமுகப்படுத்தும்போது, '20 - 25 ஆண்டுகள் கழித்து' அப்படீன்னுதான் அறிமுகப்படுத்த முடியும். 'ஐந்து வருடங்கள் கழித்து' என்று சொல்லி அவ்வளவு பெரிய நடிகரை அறிமுகப்படுத்துவது, அதைவிட அபத்தமாயிற்றே. அல்லது ஒவ்வொரு ஐந்து வருடமாக நகர்த்துவது என்றால், மெகா சீரியலில்தான் முடியும்.

Srimannarayanan
21st November 2009, 12:13 PM
[tscii:462e6547bc]

I know I am sort of giving too much credit there but your BS post made me do so.[/tscii:462e6547bc]

IMO : The worst scene in Baba is "Padayappa Neelambari" and Nasssar. :(

Nerd
21st November 2009, 12:37 PM
IMO : The worst scene in Baba is "Padayappa Neelambari" and Nasssar. :(
ennadhu???.. FDFS/PDPS-la pattam paRakka aarambicha udanE mayaana amaidhi. The theater came alive only after Neelambari made an appearance, thanks mainly to oscar-ji's BGM. There are so many other scenes which are intolerable in Baba. Like the "muthirai maaRiduchu", "sakthi kodu", climax etc :cry:

kalyan
21st November 2009, 09:06 PM
[tscii:33ea1a16d5]

I know I am sort of giving too much credit there but your BS post made me do so.[/tscii:33ea1a16d5]

Nerd,

the shoe flying sequence was before the 'self realisation(!)' of Baba, when he was just as ordinary as anybody else. the laws of physics deserved some respect at least in those pre-metaphysical sequences. :D moreover, Baba was only a disciple of the Almighty or the God Himself? confused since i didnt have an opportunity to watch Baba since 2002.

Singakkutty,

good initiative :) Keep going :thumbsup:

Yathu
21st November 2009, 09:42 PM
Illogical scenes are part and parcel of all Tamil films. Suspension of disbelief is whats expected to varying degrees and this is just for the so called "serious" films.

singgakutty
26th November 2009, 08:21 AM
here is another unbelievable nonsense from tamil movie.. makes me wanna kick the hero..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uok3rB5pCGg&NR=1

tell me, is this a fantasy movie too? :yes: :banghead:

singgakutty
26th November 2009, 08:34 AM
if we accept these kind of stunts and keep on saying it is part and parcel of tamil movies, then i think for another 100 years we will still have these kind of nonsense in tamil movies..

start saying NO to them!

Raikkonen
26th November 2009, 10:25 AM
if we accept these kind of stunts and keep on saying it is part and parcel of tamil movies, then i think for another 100 years we will still have these kind of nonsense in tamil movies..

start saying NO to them!

sareenga CM Punk

groucho070
26th November 2009, 10:54 AM
sareenga CM PunkAvara namma ooru mathiri "Tak Nak" campaing arambikka sollungga. I am sure they will quit, they way Malaysians have ottumottamaaga stopped smoking :lol:

HonestRaj
26th November 2009, 07:49 PM
here is another unbelievable nonsense from tamil movie.. makes me wanna kick the hero..

one among the two oscar nominations from that year.. another one being.. "simmadhiri" from sundhara telugu

mexicomeat
10th December 2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczstEeD6vU

tik tik tik - madhavi, kamal (thiagarajan?) scene

in this scene the villian tries to kill heroine in the swimming pool but both hero / heroine cannot see the villain through the water.

bharatiraja forgot the fact that water is transparent.

kalyan
11th December 2009, 12:05 AM

in this scene the villian tries to kill heroine in the swimming pool but both hero / heroine cannot see the villain through the water.

Mexi,

neenga enna Mexico pichumanikku sondhakkArarA? :lol: :notworthy:

swimming pool water - refractory index of 1.33 - high chlorine content - conjunctival irritation - killer attacking from the rear - turbulence - all may have contributed for the decreased visibility :lol:

I can give you hundreds of more illogical scenes in Tamil movies than this :D

bingleguy
11th December 2009, 01:36 AM

Mexi,

swimming pool water - refractory index of 1.33 - high chlorine content - conjunctival irritation - killer attacking from the rear - turbulence - all may have contributed for the decreased visibility :lol:

:omg: ennamA ArAinjirukkAru ....... :)

tamizharasan
11th December 2009, 01:44 AM
You can find illogical things in almost all movies. It would be better to find out whether we had any movie, which absolutely did not have any logical flaws.

Anban
11th December 2009, 02:14 AM

Mexi,

:omg: ennamA ArAinjirukkAru ....... :) Kalyan is a post graduate Doctor and continuing his higgggghhhher studies now..

bingleguy
11th December 2009, 03:09 AM

Mexi,

:omg: ennamA ArAinjirukkAru ....... :) Kalyan is a post graduate Doctor and continuing his higgggghhhher studies now..

appo kekkavE vEndAm :shaking::shaking::shaking::shaking:
avar ArAinja adu kareeeeeeet aa dhaan irukkum :)

mareen
11th December 2009, 03:13 AM
was watching anniyan the other day on Sun tv. Its a great film. Personality disorder and everything exist yes.

but how did the hair style keep on changing, every second when he switches to all 3 characters.

When remo becomes ambi or vice versa, why does the hair colour change? How did he change clothes?

But all these made the movie interesting and gave it some flavour.

MADDY
11th December 2009, 08:35 AM
You can find illogical things in almost all movies. It would be better to find out whether we had any movie, which absolutely did not have any logical flaws.

Hey Ram....

only thing that i found hard to digest(among other idelogical things) was the sets that they used.........it came across as a stageplay for me - why couldnt they shoot it in a old kolkatta colony.....maybe, it was intentional to shoot in sets - maybe there was a "brilliant subtext" to it.......

MMKR for its crazy permutations/combinations was a very logical movie......

i find logic in most Mani, kamal, BR movies - perfectly ok.......but subverting the logic in a subtle way dhaan cinema-ve-nnu oru definition irukku

venkkiram
11th December 2009, 08:57 AM
விக்ரம்

கமலும் சுஜாதாவும் இணைகிறார்கள்..எப்படியெல்லாம் அசத்தப் போகிறார்களோ என நினைத்துக்கொண்டு போனால், ஏவுகணையை தார்ப்பாய் போட்டு கன்டெய்னர் லாரியில் எடுத்துச் செல்வதும் சத்யராஜ் தனது கோஷ்டியுடன் அதை முறியடித்து திருடுவதும், ஒரு ஹெலிஹாப்டரிலிருந்து ஏவுகணையை அப்படியே தூக்கி கடத்துவதும்... அப்பப்பா.. சரி, ஆரம்பம்தான் இப்படி இருக்கிறது போகப் போக சரியாகிவிடும் எனப் பார்த்தால், இடைவேளைக்கு பிறகு வரும் சலாமியா இன்னும் இழுவை. அறிவாளிங்க இருவர் சேர்ந்து இந்தப் படத்தின் இலக்கு ரசிகர்களான படித்தவர்களுக்கு பூச்செண்டை சுற்ற நினைத்தப் படம்.

என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரையில் ராஜ் கமலின் தயாரிப்பில் பெரிய கறை விக்ரம். திருஷ்டி கழியவே எடுக்கப்பட்ட படமாகத் தோன்றுகிறது.

Bala (Karthik)
11th December 2009, 11:28 AM
Hey Ram....

only thing that i found hard to digest(among other idelogical things) was the sets that they used.........it came across as a stageplay for me - why couldnt they shoot it in a old kolkatta colony.....maybe, it was intentional to shoot in sets - maybe there was a "brilliant subtext" to it.......

Idhukkum "illogical"-kum enna sammandham :confused2:

Bala (Karthik)
11th December 2009, 11:31 AM
was watching anniyan the other day on Sun tv. Its a great film. Personality disorder and everything exist yes.

but how did the hair style keep on changing, every second when he switches to all 3 characters.

When remo becomes ambi or vice versa, why does the hair colour change? How did he change clothes?

Hair color onnu.
Apparam when he "switches" from Ambi to Anniyan his slightly flabby tummy will change into tighter abs like six-pac!! The best part is people noticed this and appreciated it as a nuance :omg: :rotfl2:

littlemaster1982
11th December 2009, 11:40 AM

Hair color onnu.
Apparam when he "switches" from Ambi to Anniyan his slightly flabby tummy will change into tighter abs like six-pac!! The best part is people noticed this and appreciated it as a nuance :omg: :rotfl2:

தேசிய விருது காத்திருக்கிறது :lol:

AudazJay
11th December 2009, 12:06 PM

I really didn't have any intentions of posting remarks in this thread...just happen to watch the youtube clip posted by singgakutty, and what an irony- someone posted another clip entitled "Sundar.C Defeats Vijayakanth"!

Now who said VJ Khan was illogical? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjVJ-d_OtE&NR=1&feature=fvwp/

equanimus
11th December 2009, 01:02 PM
A simple question: We know what we see in a film is not happening in reality. Why do we see it then, and perhaps more importantly, react to it? Is that logical?

MADDY
11th December 2009, 02:51 PM
Hey Ram....

Idhukkum "illogical"-kum enna sammandham :confused2:

illaingnov, TA asked to list some movies which had no logic flaws - adhukku dhaan Hey Ram-nnu sonnen......only odd thing that stood for me in Hey ram is this-nnu sonnen :)

Plum
11th December 2009, 03:08 PM
The most-appreciable logical part of Hey Ram is, ironically, the most commonly used brickbat against the movie. The fact that Kamal is in every frame of the movie.

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 03:19 PM
The most-appreciable logical part of Hey Ram is, ironically, the most commonly used brickbat against the movie. The fact that Kamal is in every frame of the movie.

:notworthy: just proving that he is the king of screenplays !

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 03:22 PM
as equa said, the most common element used in our cinema, the songs are themselves illogical ! Flash back songs, foreign location songs.. paranndhu parandhu fighting ippadi poyitae irukum..

there is no point in discussing about logic in tamil cinema. I think we had a threadd couple of years ago where we had a blast at some scenes but ippa bore adichi pochu :D

afterall, we grew up watching Rajini flying from one malai to other with his gudhirai vandi and off late Vijay puraaku bell adichadhu EKS ! [/u]

Bala (Karthik)
11th December 2009, 03:28 PM
illaingnov, TA asked to list some movies which had no logic flaws - adhukku dhaan Hey Ram-nnu sonnen......only odd thing that stood for me in Hey ram is this-nnu sonnen :)
Vadivel: "Idhu un thalaya? Eludhippodunga da!" :lol: :P

Kalyasi
11th December 2009, 03:31 PM
Vadivel: "Idhu un thalaya? Eludhippodunga da!" :lol: :P

:lol: :lol:

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 03:34 PM
Ennayaa ithu chinna pulla thanamaa illogical scenes nnu oru discussion. :huh:

For a change i bet u guys..

Find at least a single logical scene in the forthcoming movie Vettaikaaran. :huh:

Yaar poattikku vareengannu ippavae sollidunga :yes: Paarthudalaam :boo:

Plum
11th December 2009, 03:42 PM

Find at least a single logical scene in the forthcoming movie Vettaikaaran. :huh:

Yaar poattikku vareengannu ippavae sollidunga :yes: Paarthudalaam :boo:

:lol: - oru mudivOda dhAn irukkInga!

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 03:47 PM
Thiru,

I think this movie is going to be a trendsetting movie for Vijay.. just like Villu where he said "going to be different from other movies" and Prabu D quotingg " the climax is never seen before" , I am sure Vijay will come up with something new.

pona padathual MGR, indha padathula Sivaji scene side by sidela oda pogudhu. Sivaji Padmini is my bet :D

venumnaa paarunga.. Vettaikaaran opening song madhiri "Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu " nu Oda pogudhu

mnaren555
11th December 2009, 03:47 PM

Yaar poattikku vareengannu ippavae sollidunga :yes: Paarthudalaam :boo:ethukku vettaikaran ah izhukkuringa...?

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 03:52 PM
venumnaa paarunga.. Vettaikaaran opening song madhiri "Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu Odu " nu Oda pogudhu

thappaa purinjittu audience ellaam theater a vittu oadaama irunthaa sari :yessir:

Vijay fans...

It is just a joke :noteeth: sirippu vanthaa inga siringa.. koavam vanthaa manasukullayae vachchikoanga :P

Kalyasi
11th December 2009, 03:53 PM

thappaa purinjittu audience ellaam theater a vittu oadaama irunthaa sari :yessir:

Vijay fans...

It is just a joke :noteeth: sirippu vanthaa inga siringa.. koavam vanthaa manasukullayae vachchikoanga :P

:lol: Ushaar na Neenga!!

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 03:55 PM

Yaar poattikku vareengannu ippavae sollidunga :yes: Paarthudalaam :boo:ethukku vettaikaran ah izhukkuringa...?

Just for fun.. :noteeth:

neenga vaenumnaa Aadhavan padathula ethaachchum logical scenes irunthaa kandu pidinga :roll:

Time pass aagum....

Surya paththiyum sollitathaala naan thappichaen :boo:

mnaren555
11th December 2009, 03:57 PM

Vijay fans...

It is just a joke :noteeth: sirippu vanthaa inga siringa.. koavam vanthaa manasukullayae vachchikoanga :Poh neenga one of mod la... ok oppicerrrrrrr

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 04:01 PM

Vijay fans...

It is just a joke :noteeth: sirippu vanthaa inga siringa.. koavam vanthaa manasukullayae vachchikoanga :Poh neenga one of mod la... ok oppicerrrrrrr

chae chae appadi ellaam serious aa eduththukka vaendaam.. Sila vishayathukku thaevai ellaam manasa poattu kuzhapikkaama.. just enjoy and have fun :thumbsup:

mnaren555
11th December 2009, 04:03 PM

Vijay fans...

chae chae appadi ellaam serious aa eduththukka vaendaam.. Sila vishayathukku thaevai ellaam manasa poattu kuzhapikkaama.. just enjoy and have fun :thumbsup:ok bro have fun..... life is easy if v takes evrything easy.....

mnaren555
11th December 2009, 04:05 PM
life is easy if v takes evrything easy.....

lik above oru msg vanthathu pa sari timing ah irukkunu podalaam nu pottean..... thats it

equanimus
11th December 2009, 04:08 PM
as equa said, the most common element used in our cinema, the songs are themselves illogical ! Flash back songs, foreign location songs.. paranndhu parandhu fighting ippadi poyitae irukum..
Aalavandhan,
In fact, my point is in the larger sense. Cinema (or any other form of art) is not about logic at all. That a film is illogical is really the most superficial kind of criticism one can make. Such critics would be much embarrassed if they realise that, by their yardstick, an epic like Mahabharata would spectacularly fail!

there is no point in discussing about logic in tamil cinema.
In fact, contrary to what a lot of us might think, this (this kind of criticism or the "awakening to logic," so to say!) is not something that has struck us now. Go back even 40 years, you'll find most of our critics have said the same thing. As I read it, this is just a technique of being self-deprecatory about the films we like. It's like the big elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about!

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 04:11 PM

:exactly: Let us not make it too complicated :P

mnaren555
11th December 2009, 04:12 PM

:exactly: Let us not make it too complicated :Pkandippa.....

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 04:34 PM
Aalavandhan,
In fact, my point is in the larger sense. Cinema (or any other form of art) is not about logic at all. That a film is illogical is really the most superficial kind of criticism one can make. Such critics would be much embarrassed if they realise that, by their yardstick, an epic like Mahabharata would spectacularly fail!

True about the Mahabharata, but we cant go back in time and question the logic behind the mahabharatha, it was written and still a myth (or may be not) . If a bow from Arjunan bursts into flames after a few yards can be believable in terms of agreeing to the fact that they are all characters written on book.

But a person who throws the "vel" from a chair and goes past behind a person horizontally and takes a shoot up to the sky and comes down vertically down to earth and stands still - is what we need to talk. If the seniors perform such acts, there are millions of juniors waiting to follow the same and does some acts in the name of "trying things differently"

In fact, contrary to what a lot of us might think, this (this kind of criticism or the "awakening to logic," so to say!) is not something that has struck us now. Go back even 40 years, you'll find most of our critics have said the same thing. As I read it, this is just a technique of being self-deprecatory about the films we like. It's like the big elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about!

The fiction films and the animations films are still a long way to go for us. The critics are not going to question the logical points in such films. Talking abt criticis, we have critics who take two stand points when criticising two major heroes. One can get away with having a scene in his movie alleging a section of community with currency exchange and the other hero is questioned from all corners, including couple of prisoners about his film. Critics, they are

MADDY
11th December 2009, 04:55 PM
//remba naalana oru confirmed thought - mahabharatha must have millions of characters and billions of sub plots - i doubt if it could have been ever written by a group of people leave alone 1 person......it should have been live characters and events documented by some divine power :bow:.......also the magical scenes in mahabharata is given a very strong base since the story is set in a "divine" mileu and the characters are not "just" humans//

coming to equa's point - i do know that u appreciate perarasu movies to a extent........do u think subverting the characters/dialogues/chronology along with science/mathematic/physics/chemistry/biology etc to a great extent is "ok" with u? i know "extent" is something which will differ but still

equanimus
11th December 2009, 05:01 PM
coming to equa's point - i do know that u appreciate perarasu movies to a extent........
ayyuyyO, illIng. (oru muRai clarify paNRadhu better 'nu thONudhu. adhu vERa sense 'la. "So Bad It's Good.")

do u think subverting the characters/dialogues/chronology along with science/mathematic/physics/chemistry/biology etc to a great extent is "ok" with u? i know "extent" is something which will differ but still
There's no limit really. I say this in all seriousness.

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 05:05 PM
//remba naalana oru confirmed thought - mahabharatha must have millions of characters and billions of sub plots - i doubt if it could have been ever written by a group of people leave alone 1 person......it should have been live characters and events documented by some divine power :bow:.......also the magical scenes in mahabharata is given a very strong base since the story is set in a "divine" mileu and the characters are not "just" humans//

naan vitta pointa neena pudishtaezh

Plum
11th December 2009, 05:10 PM
OTOH, Maddy, the fascination of Mahabharata kicks in when you strip it of its 'divine' interpretation and look at it as a very human story with a balladeer's exaggeration embellishing it.

Prem Panicker recently did a translation series of MT Vasudevan Nair's rendam moozham in his blog, which took a de-divined look at Mahabharata from Bhima's POV, linking it to the writer's experience of Nair tharavaads. It is the fact that, beneath the divine surface, it is an essentially very 'human' story and screenplay, if you may, that renders Mahabharat timeless.

Plum
11th December 2009, 05:11 PM
In other words, the magical in Mahabharat, if you are referring to the naagastras, and brahmastras, might not be magic at all but a balladeer's exaggerated imagination of snake-venom-tipped arrows and an ignition-powder-tipped arrow. Ofcourse, the 'divine' part of the conception of Kunti's kids is pretty straightforward to interpret humanly.

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 05:17 PM
Plum,

The point here is , we cant take examples of Mahabharath and Ramayana to convince people that we can use sequences which are not logic. Since bcoz, we read Hanuman took the sanjeeiv malai in his hand cant be related or be compared to a normal human jumping on top a train with his hercules and "bell" ing the crowd in the name of puraas. I guess thats the argument oh sorry discussion now.

Sakthi chidambaram's interview, "orae madhiri hero sentiment action padam edukuraennu suhasini madam solraangalae, avanga husband matum mahabharatha karnanai thazhuvi dhalapathy eduka villaiya, alladhu Ravan enra padathai eduka villaiyaa "nu kettirukaaru ..

Sakthi (a director who doesnt believe in logic) comparing his films with Mani sir (no explanation needed)

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 05:20 PM
Sakthi (a director who doesnt believe in logic) comparing his films with Mani sir (no explanation needed)

2012 la kandippaa ulagam azhiyanumyaa :x

Plum
11th December 2009, 05:24 PM
AV, equa's point is not about that at all. Right?
He is saying ennAthukku logic pArkarInga. Logic is not a necessity at all. In other words, you watch "belling the people" sequence if you buy the premise. Idhula degree of logicality is not important.

Ok, let me put it this way - do you concede that Mahbharat could be the story of a feuding clan, that then is embellished with the super-hero add-ons, and the 'divine' angle - which is not implausible at all because we all know of arasavai kavignars who are encouraged to employ their imagination in embellishing small acts of their thalaivars into 'divine' powers? Then ponder on would Mahabharat have stayed through centuries as a pure "MT Vasudevan Nair script"? Instead, it is the embellishments that have lived on.
At its core, it is a very human story. Maddy is right - one man couldnt have written it all - and that is precisely why I am encouraged to think that through the ages, people have been adding their very 'human' experiences to it. Although Maddy interpreted the opposite extreme.

MADDY
11th December 2009, 05:28 PM
There's no limit really. I say this in all seriousness.

puriyudhu :D .......but as i said for mahabharata - it is well established that its not a normal scenario and not normal beings and then they show all magic etc......i mean, take superman - i love this movie bcos it establishes very clearly that he is indeed a "super"man and then he flies etc.......but when vishals and simbhus don roles of boy-next-door and perform stunts of "superman" it doesent sit well......it comes across as illogical, nonsense etc....

odane, movie starting-la rape=sex declare pannittu ennavena pannalaamaannu vidhandavaadham panna koodadhu :P ........obviously, we all understand that cinema is to a great extent "fantasy" medium and if the declarations, assumptions are set appropriately then the scenes that are "out of ordinary" comes out well...

equanimus
11th December 2009, 05:32 PM
Maddy/Aalavanthan/Plum,
Even in the most mythologised versions of Mahabharata, nowhere it is implied that the Pandavas or the Kauravas are gods or are "divine." They are just "gifted" in different ways, just like the heroes of our films are. There's nothing incidental about the way we like to spin our tales.

Is there anyone who seriously believes that we follow these kind of styles just because we're "just not there" yet? To put it differently, can this be seen as a characteristic of a sophomore film industry in any way? A big no.

Plum
11th December 2009, 05:37 PM
Maddy/Aalavanthan/Plum,
Even in the most mythologised versions of Mahabharata, nowhere it is implied that the Pandavas or the Kauravas are gods or are "divine." They are just "gifted" in different ways, just like the heroes of our films are. There's nothing incidental about the way we like to spin our tales.

Is there anyone who seriously believes that we follow these kind of styles just because we're "just not there" yet? To put it differently, can this be seen as a characteristic of a sophomore film industry in any way? A big no.

equa, I am in the converted list. I am talking about current popular versions of Mahbharat, which DO point to the divinity of the principals. Ofcourse, I understand that the original text doesnt imply any such, and forget being "specially gifted", the tools that they conjure up apparently out of "dhavam" are nothing but well-honed instruments crafted out of their instrumentation techniques. I am with you every word.

Plum
11th December 2009, 05:38 PM
Maddy, if you can accept Mahabharat because divinity is foretold, why cant Simbu fans(if any) approach his film with the same mindset?

MADDY
11th December 2009, 05:38 PM
Ofcourse, the 'divine' part of the conception of Kunti's kids is pretty straightforward to interpret humanly.

:lol:

It is the fact that, beneath the divine surface, it is an essentially very 'human' story and screenplay, if you may, that renders Mahabharat timeless.

:exactly:.....

u mean to ask - we are weak in "writing" hence we are still making such movies?? if thats the question - then no, perhaps......but honestly, what else can guys like perarasu, shakthi chidambaram, david dhawan make other than such mind-hecks? :huh:

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 05:43 PM
Super Man, Spider Man, Batman (I guess, this is kandasamy) ippadi ellam thamizhla padam eduthaa, namma heroes ellam poti potutu bid pannuvaango..

But as maddy said, all our current heroes are wearing a mask in the name of Vishal, Simbu just parallel to the above said characters. Again, adhuliyum oru logic odhaikum, how come the super man has a mother and a daughter and a spider man struggled to bring his family to a good status :lol:

equanimus
11th December 2009, 05:46 PM
but honestly, what else can guys like perarasu, shakthi chidambaram, david dhawan make other than such mind-hecks? :huh:
But the question to ask is, are Shakti Chidambaram's films bad because they're illogical? (appO logic mattum eppadiyAvadhu sari kattittA avar padam nallA irukkumA?) That said, I don't pretend to have a different answer for the dearth of good films. (A related note. (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1961621#1961621))

complicateur
11th December 2009, 05:48 PM
A simple question: We know what we see in a film is not happening in reality. Why do we see it then, and perhaps more importantly, react to it? Is that logical?
Yes! Needs to be explored though the discussion might become fairly academic.

I was once involved in a fairly interesting discussion in a class I took regarding writing "the fantasy genre". While creating an immediately fantastic world - be it the future (The Matrix) or the past (Indiana Jones) or imaginary (LOTR/Avatar) - the writer is empowered with creating rules of existence for his world. It is an age old tradition - Aristotle's Poetics brings up writing a believable lie rather than an unbelievable truth - that the best of writers have employed. Hollywood does a better job of packaging it's lack of logic - its larger than life heroes are Mossad/CIA trained or have been bit by mutated spiders etc... It is all part of building a believable set of rules for their imaginary worlds.

Majority of Indian films, however, are present in a sort of timeless, generic "present" and there are no establishing of the rules. Take for example Paruthiveeran - when do those events occur? The film isn't really representative of a time as it is of a space. And this is in a movie that is classified as "good" in general. The point in history that the story occurs is completely irrelevant. Over the years the omnipotent/burdened by family/lothario/educationally-challenged/thief with a golden heart protagonist has been handed to our writers bubble wrapped. No additional effort required to create their universe - just unwrap at an appropriate time and let them do their thing. (vary timing of unwrapping for maximum effect).

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 05:50 PM
but honestly, what else can guys like perarasu, shakthi chidambaram, david dhawan make other than such mind-hecks? :huh:
But the question to ask is, are Shakti Chidambaram's films bad because they're illogical? (appO logic mattum eppadiyAvadhu sari kattittA avar padam nallA irukkumA?) That said, I don't pretend to have a different answer for the dearth of good films. (A related note. (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1961621#1961621))

The point is we cannot expect any logic from them. appadi irukumbodhu there is no question of the bold texts. They will be so bad even if they have some logic in it. Adhanaala thaan we are enjoying only the comedy tracks from him like Theepori Thirumugam. The vathikuchi and nerpu patti are all illogical but who cares the logic when it coming out of a comedian's mouth.

In other example, the "bat-a tharaiyila adichi adichi thanni vara vechitaan" sirr.. we just love these comedies because they are comedies and sometimes comedies can be fictional and illogical.

complicateur
11th December 2009, 05:55 PM
I guess I just answered equa's question - that my belief is that our industry is still sophomoric majority of the time! :)

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 06:03 PM
yeah, we both posted the reply almost at the sametime.

equanimus
11th December 2009, 06:17 PM
Aalavanthan,
Comedy'kku irukkiRa leeway, En tragedy 'kku illa? ("reNdum oNNu thAnE dA, kozhappuRIngaLE dA!" :))

Compli,
Some very interesting points there, especially the quote from Aristotle's Poetics (which, needless to say, I'm not familiar with!). I'd not disagree if you say that our filmmaking style is "sophomoric majority of the time" in a general sense, but would if it's said specifically about "packaging it's lack of logic." I think different kinds of films have their own universe of logic. Which is how the audience is able to seamlessly buy into it.

Again, as I argued earlier, that it is not true is always known. In the best of films, the "lack of logic" simply doesn't matter because you're busy watching the story unfold. It's only when watching bad films, we stoop to nitpicking. :)

complicateur
11th December 2009, 06:23 PM
I also didn't make the point I set out to make. Films that don't belong to the immediately fantastic genre - as in those that aren't immediately recognizable as requiring a whole new set of rules - coopt a semblance of the rules of immediate sensory reality. And it is a sort of implicit arrangement that the medium of film seems to have with the psyche. It is a very fundamental cognitive agreement the mind seems to have with the medium.

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 06:32 PM
inga konja paerukku warning koduththa thaan sari padum poala :roll:

ellaa thread ayum serious thread aakiduraanga :shock:

equanimus
11th December 2009, 06:33 PM
Thirumaran,
I thought others are still free to quote the scenes that made them go ROTFL, etc. Anyway, I'll stop with this!

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 06:36 PM
Thirumaran,
I thought others are still free to quote the scenes that made them go ROTFL, etc. Anyway, I'll stop with this!

ada neenga vaera :rotfl2:

P_R
11th December 2009, 06:37 PM
TM, nevaire ! :x

Thread tidle ridiculousA irundhuchunnu indha pakkam naan varavE illai. ippo pArthA niraiya aakkapoorvamA nadandhurukku.

I am only now read yA.

complicateur
11th December 2009, 06:39 PM
Aristotle's Poetics (which, needless to say, I'm not familiar with!). To clarify, I'm not familiar either - only through Alexander Mackendrick's book on filmmaking

I'd not disagree if you say that our filmmaking style is "sophomoric majority of the time" in a general sense, but would if it's said specifically about "packaging it's lack of logic." I think different kinds of films have their own universe of logic. Which is how the audience is able to seamlessly buy into it.
I guess I have an issue with the "universe of logic" within most films and adherence to it. It is more of a relative issue than an absolute one.

Thirumaran
11th December 2009, 06:40 PM
TM, nevaire ! :x

Thread tidle ridiculousA irundhuchunnu indha pakkam naan varavE illai. ippo pArthA niraiya aakkapoorvamA nadandhurukku.

I am only now read yA.

nalla vaela week end samayayathula vantheenga.. ethuvaa irunthaalum intha 2 days paesi mudichidunga :lol2:

equanimus
11th December 2009, 06:45 PM
:lol: nAn jagA vAngiyAchchu. inimEl edhu nadandhAlum adhukku muzhu poRuppu moderator-cum-poet P_R dhAn.

complicateur
11th December 2009, 06:46 PM
:lol: Yes! I yam also return yA. Ini nadappadhellAm yemanukuth theriyum - trolley forward.

kalyan
11th December 2009, 07:05 PM
விக்ரம்

கமலும் சுஜாதாவும் இணைகிறார்கள்..எப்படியெல்லாம் அசத்தப் போகிறார்களோ என நினைத்துக்கொண்டு போனால், ஏவுகணையை தார்ப்பாய் போட்டு கன்டெய்னர் லாரியில் எடுத்துச் செல்வதும் சத்யராஜ் தனது கோஷ்டியுடன் அதை முறியடித்து திருடுவதும், ஒரு ஹெலிஹாப்டரிலிருந்து ஏவுகணையை அப்படியே தூக்கி கடத்துவதும்... அப்பப்பா.. சரி, ஆரம்பம்தான் இப்படி இருக்கிறது போகப் போக சரியாகிவிடும் எனப் பார்த்தால், இடைவேளைக்கு பிறகு வரும் சலாமியா இன்னும் இழுவை. அறிவாளிங்க இருவர் சேர்ந்து இந்தப் படத்தின் இலக்கு ரசிகர்களான படித்தவர்களுக்கு பூச்செண்டை சுற்ற நினைத்தப் படம்.

என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரையில் ராஜ் கமலின் தயாரிப்பில் பெரிய கறை விக்ரம். திருஷ்டி கழியவே எடுக்கப்பட்ட படமாகத் தோன்றுகிறது.

Vennki,

ஹையோ ஹையோ :notworthy:

கமல் படத்துலயே லாஜிக் மீறல் கண்டுபுடிக்கிற நீங்க கொஞ்சம் தலையை அக்கம் பக்கம் திருப்பி கொஞ்சம் கமலுடைய சமகால நடிகர்களின் track record யும் கொஞ்சம் பாருங்க :huh:

since you have referred to 'Vikram', I will refer to rajini's 'maaveeran' hyped as the contender to 'Vikram' in the summer of '86. (Ultimately it got released only in Nov '86 if I remember right, Vikram came out in June '86) doesnt matter as both turned out to be overhyped duds, but in terms of logic, Vikram was way better than 'Maaveeran'.

Just imagine, in the very first reel, Dara Singh, who played rajini's father, stops an aircraft singlehandedly !!!!! (quite literally) by slinging a rope over it (the aircraft with at least a 200 bhp engine beneath its cockpit) :shock: :rotfl3: :rotfl2: :rotfl3: :rotfl: atrocious logic. may be aimed at people who have single digit IQ :huh: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :rant: :rant:

Anban and others, you guys would have been very young when the movie was released, you missed out on all the fun of watching such classics on a big screen :wink:

and people dont point out all these in this thread, they keep telling தண்ணியிலே கண்ணு தெரியல and stuff :huh:

Plum
11th December 2009, 07:14 PM
I also didn't make the point I set out to make. Films that don't belong to the immediately fantastic genre - as in those that aren't immediately recognizable as requiring a whole new set of rules - coopt a semblance of the rules of immediate sensory reality. And it is a sort of implicit arrangement that the medium of film seems to have with the psyche. It is a very fundamental cognitive agreement the mind seems to have with the medium.

Ah! Equa! That's where you lose out- if you can post like this where respondents dont even have a chance of trying to interpret, you wouldnt suffer from constant misinterpretation. You post tantalisingly close to interpretation, and leave room for people to hack at and mangle up your contents :-)

compli, no doubt you must take the Gold medal for 'complicated' writing. Equa disqualified in the finals :-)

hamid
11th December 2009, 07:16 PM
:lol:

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 07:18 PM
[tscii:cfeda50f05]

Ah! Equa! That's where you lose out- if you can post like this where respondents dont even have a chance of trying to interpret, you wouldnt suffer from constant misinterpretation. You post tantalisingly close to interpretation, and leave room for people to hack at and mangle up your contents :-)

compli, no doubt you must take the Gold medal for 'complicated' writing. Equa disqualified in the finals :-)

OK.. tried the highlighted word in the wordweb as it was new to me.. The answer..

"Clothes*dryer for drying and ironing laundry by passing it between two heavy heated rollers"

Adhavadhu

You post tantalisingly close to interpretation, and leave room for people to hack at and "Clothes dryer for drying and ironing laundry by passing it between two heavy heated rollers" up your contents[/tscii:cfeda50f05]

Aalavanthan
11th December 2009, 07:20 PM
PS: Its not me who is speaking, its the man I am behind or after or whatever :D

complicateur
11th December 2009, 08:15 PM
Ah! Equa! That's where you lose out- if you can post like this where respondents dont even have a chance of trying to interpret, you wouldnt suffer from constant misinterpretation. ambuttu mOsamAvA irukku? I was just saying how the mind seems to have a generic template universe for "non-fantasy" films.

MADDY
12th December 2009, 10:47 AM

no absolutely not........Sakthi chidambaram's movies are bad because of bad writing........for this conversation(wrt thread title), we are not deciding on whether movies are good or bad for their logic - its just picking out scenes from films which are so "out of ordinary" irrespective of film's quality........i think we can pick illogical scenes from best written movies as well here

was forced to watch aadhavan on DVD along with femily, kasins(most of kasin sisters are surya fans to my dismay - indha kaalathu pasanga .....).........climax scene had a character throwing laptop from 40 ft height into sand......still they manage to use data from that laptop in the next scene - marvellous......laptop disks are much more fragile than desktop disks and cannot survive a crash of more than 2-3 ft, anyways :P .......

littlemaster1982
12th December 2009, 10:49 AM
-duplicate post-

littlemaster1982
12th December 2009, 10:51 AM
climax scene had a character throwing laptop from 40 ft height into sand......still they manage to use data from that laptop in the next scene - marvellous......laptop disks are much more fragile than desktop disks and cannot survive a crash of more than 2-3 ft, anyways :P .......

Rocket launcher-la timer irukkuma :roll: Enakku adhuvum oru doubt :?

Thirumaran
12th December 2009, 10:52 AM
climax scene had a character throwing laptop from 40 ft height into sand......still they manage to use data from that laptop in the next scene - marvellous......laptop disks are much more fragile than desktop disks and cannot survive a crash of more than 2-3 ft, anyways :P .......

known is a drop.. unknown is ocean :poke:

MADDY
12th December 2009, 11:00 AM

it can have a timer - not a big deal, but the way it gets stuck perfectly into objects and work :lol: .....actually after a point, u are forced to abandon logic in that movie :lol: .......

known is a drop

eeei, illai - laptop illa drop panna

Thirumaran
12th December 2009, 11:14 AM
known is a drop

eeei, illai - laptop illa drop panna
:lol2:

P_R
12th December 2009, 10:46 PM
To put it differently, can this be seen as a characteristic of a sophomore film industry in any way? A big no.
Hmm.. I am not too emphatic about the 'no'. By calling it 'our' tradition we can't just brush it under the carpet.

The filmmaker has some work to get the reader - is something I will maintain till my kadaisi moochu.

He can't just take his megaphone and say "All of you report with your popcorns and suspensions of disbelief". That is pretty much what our sophomoric film tradition has been about. Whether 'our' films are indeed meant for us - is another market mechanical question. But I will be jumbling two many things if I get into that.

The 'internal logic' is the writer's job to establish. 'காபி சாப்பிட்டு முடித்துவிட்டு எழுந்த ராமசாமி, சிறகை விரித்து பறந்து போனார்'ஆப்பிடின்னு எழுதமுடியாது. Unless he is geting meta and trying to something on the lines of surreal/absurd etc., in which case too he has to do a good job of doing well or risk getting a ticket for reckless writing.

kalyan
13th December 2009, 11:09 PM
known is a drop.. unknown is ocean :poke:

I remember reading this in Orkut UHKH comm

"Known is an ocean
Unknown is Kamal Haasan" :notworthy: :clap:

kalyan
13th December 2009, 11:35 PM
'காபி சாப்பிட்டு முடித்துவிட்டு எழுந்த ராமசாமி, சிறகை விரித்து பறந்து போனார்'ஆப்பிடின்னு எழுதமுடியாது.

Utterly Sujathaesque, the only two living writers who i am aware of, whose style of narration matches such a statement are Era. Murukan, and ....... :shock: :omg: :omg: are you Pa. Raghavan by any chance???

Anban
14th December 2009, 03:51 AM
'காபி சாப்பிட்டு முடித்துவிட்டு எழுந்த ராமசாமி, சிறகை விரித்து பறந்து போனார்'ஆப்பிடின்னு எழுதமுடியாது.

Utterly Sujathaesque, the only two living writers who i am aware of, whose style of narration matches such a statement are Era. Murukan, and ....... :shock: :omg: :omg: are you Pa. Raghavan by any chance??? no no.. he is pirabhu ram... a 25 yr old fellow with a disease that shows symptoms of early maturity..

mareen
14th December 2009, 06:09 AM

Hair color onnu.
Apparam when he "switches" from Ambi to Anniyan his slightly flabby tummy will change into tighter abs like six-pac!! The best part is people noticed this and appreciated it as a nuance :omg: :rotfl2: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
23rd February 2010, 09:50 PM
Movie name : Jaggubhai

Scenes: All scenes involving Australians, looked so cheap.. The English spoken by the Australians were British English accent.. Australians have different accent like the Americans, Canadians, South Africans and the kiwis... but here our director get some british dub artists to dub their voice with british accent

Common sense na

Movie name: London

Scenes: all scenes involving British police.. Wrong uniform, wrong badges, ssaaabbbaa who are these directors trying to fool???

Vivasaayi
23rd February 2010, 10:18 PM
Movie name : Jaggubhai

Scenes: All scenes involving Australians, looked so cheap.. The English spoken by the Australians were British English accent.. Australians have different accent like the Americans, Canadians, South Africans and the kiwis... but here our director get some british dub artists to dub their voice with british accent

Common sense na

idhellam too muchu!

mareen
24th February 2010, 04:52 AM
Ditto!