PDA

View Full Version : Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

AravindMano
19th February 2012, 07:03 AM
Traffic. Good. Overrated. idhaiyA Kamal remake paNNappORaar nu sonnAnga? Sad.

My total reaction to this film was, Dei, if all you have are doing this good deed to satisfy your own selves and others, why do it at all!

Murali Srinivas
3rd March 2012, 11:33 PM
Anoop/Ajay,

Can you please blow up these images?

Stills from King & The Commissioner.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419176_321834194531845_235904053124860_854239_1602 250273_n.jpg

http://www.shotpix.com/images/06834827614154539878.jpg

An advertising still for a jewellery shop.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2evdr43.jpg

Regards

rajeshkrv
4th March 2012, 07:44 AM
2 thrillers worth watching

yavanika - nice movie by padmarajan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-yyU7YRpkc&feature=bf_prev&list=PL67F0A41966226380&lf=results_main

utharam another fantastic movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8DUocQfPo

Murali Srinivas
4th March 2012, 02:52 PM
Rajesh,

Yavanika was directed by K.G.George that catapulted Mammootty to super Stardom. His Inspector role Eeraali was quite a performance and not to forget Gobi's Tabla Artist Chellappan which is still talked about in awe. It was a Super hit movie that came out in 1982. Uttharam [meaning answer] was directed by Pavithran another talented director but one who did very few films. Uttharam also belonged to investigation genre but of a different kind. But before this came out [IIRC it was released in 1989 June], CBI Diary Kurippu which got released in the previous year had captured the imagination of the people and Sethuramaiyer had become the role model. As it always happens, Mammootty in spite of dishing out a neat performance in Uttharam had to face comparison with his own CBI role and so Uttharam didn't meet with much success. If I am not off the mark, Mammootty's another film Adharvam again a movie belonging to different genre which dealt with Adharvana Vedham and directed by Dennis Joseph got released during the same time [same day?] and so Uttharam suffered from that factor also.

Regards

Siv.S
4th March 2012, 03:44 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419176_321834194531845_235904053124860_854239_1602 250273_n.jpg

Regards

directhit
4th March 2012, 08:16 PM
Anoop/Ajay,

Can you please blow up these images?

Regards the man is 60+ :omg: :bow:

P_R
4th March 2012, 09:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31aQjX-dKqg

oru thamaashukku vENdi..for horror :rotfl3:

Murali Srinivas
4th March 2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks Siva.

Anoop, he is yet to touch 60. Most of the magazines say that he was born on September 7th of 1953, which means he is yet to turn 60. But there are other reports too which talk about his date of birth being Sep 7th of 1951, which if it is correct means that he is 60 +. Whether it is 1951 or 53, he is the smartest handsome person around.

btw, his first Kannada movie Shikkari, which has been made as a bi-lingual [Kannada & Malayalam] is getting released on 9th March, coming friday and King & Commissioner is charted for March 23rd.

Regards

ajaybaskar
7th March 2012, 01:23 PM
National Award for the Best Malayalam Film goes to Indian Rupee. :clap:

Plum
7th March 2012, 08:59 PM
I vaguely remember a Padmarajan movie with one of the Ms and Rahman as younger brother. Plot points suthamA gnaabagam illai. D d-la paarthadhu. Idhai vechu yaaraavadhu kandu pidikka mudiyumA? Adhai paadhi dhan paarthen. Edho exam poga vendi irundhadhu so had to miss the second half. I vaguely remember an ashram, mata amrita type saamiyaar, murder, mystery kind of. Very vague but idhai vechu kandu pidikka mudinjaa salaam poduven

Murali Srinivas
7th March 2012, 11:54 PM
Plum,

Is it KAriyila KAatru pola? It has both M's and Rahman. Lal is an inspector and Big M is a cine director. Big M is murdered and Lal comes for investigation. Though the scenario you are describing is not matching, this seems to be the movie IMO since you said it is directed by Padmarajan. Rahman is the brother of Lal. This is one movie where both M's never had a Face to Face scene. Does it ring a bell?

Regards

ajaybaskar
9th March 2012, 02:09 AM
Salt & Pepper

Felt hungry after watching the film. :) Decent entertainer with a fully dressed Shweta Menon.

raagadevan
10th March 2012, 07:16 PM
Jagathy Sreekumar seriously injured in accident

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/kerala/article2980947.ece?homepage=true

Murali Srinivas
25th March 2012, 12:29 AM
The King & the Commissioner

The two powerful characters of Malayalam cinema created by the script writer Renji Panicker namely Joseph Alex IAS and Bharath Chandran IPS come together in this latest movie scripted by Renji and directed by Shaji Kailas. It is all sound and fury as the story is about the murder of the RAW chief and the intrusion of Pakistan Militants to assassinate the PM. How the IAS and IPS officer join together to defeat the nefarious activities forms the crux.

Though story wise it is nothing extraordinary and been told in the routine manner, it is the dialogues and the performances of the two, Mammootty as Joseph Alex and Suresh Gopi as Bharath Chandran which helps us to sustain the interest throughout. The dialogues in flowery English and Malayalam gets the maximum applause though at times it borders on the extreme prompting one to label it as verbal diarrhea.

If you like Shaji-Renji films, this is the one which you can enjoy it the core.

Regards

Anoop,

Samvrita is there and though she has a very limited screen space, you would like it.

selvakumar
2nd April 2012, 08:56 PM
Revisited oru CBI diary kurippu again. But I never knew it has 4 sequels :shock: Saw all of them. last one was not upto the mark. But others were timepass.

Can anyone provide me the list of investigative thrillers from Mamooty?

directhit
9th April 2012, 09:19 PM
Oru CBI Diary Kurippu and Jagratha (better than part 1) were quite good, Sethuramaiyer is not bad, Nerariyan was a bit sloppy..

The other investigative ones which comes immediately to mind are The Truth, King, August 1

Amongst the old ones there are quite a few as well... Oru Abhibhashakante Case Diary, Yavanika and Adayalam etc

directhit
9th April 2012, 09:21 PM
Watching Suresh Gopi in the Malayalam version of Kaun Banega Crorepati :bow: Superb - this is what someone with Charisma can do to this kinda Shows :thumbsup:

Plum
9th April 2012, 09:55 PM
MS - indha kELvi kEttadhaiyE maRandhtEn :ashamed: . Oru maadhiri match aagudhu....still not sure...

V_S
16th April 2012, 09:43 AM
Kadha Thudarunnu :big thumbs down:. Went with big expectation after watching Sathyan's Sneha Veedu, but this film was a let down. Even though the plot was good, the ending was too shabby.

raagadevan
17th April 2012, 06:12 PM
"I have nothing to prove in Bollywood: Mohanlal"

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/I-have-nothing-to-prove-in-Bollywood-Mohanlal/articleshow/12701464.cms

ajaybaskar
23rd April 2012, 05:27 PM
Anwar

Amal Neerad's earlier films had style if not substance. Anwar lacks both. Gopi Sundar's BGM continues to impress though.

ajaybaskar
25th April 2012, 01:19 PM
Snehaveedu

A very earthy and no fuss kinda movie. Lal is unmatchable. only let down was the abrupt ending.

hamid
25th April 2012, 02:50 PM
Watched Masters last week.. my first Malayalam movie in a theater.. ( went to watch the movie "3" without knowing that the showtimings are changed :hammer: and ended up watching this)

The whole plot and the story was childish and stupid. Prithviraj, Sasikumar, Ananya, etc etc.. starcast paarthu ellam therinja moonjiya irukke.. paarthudalaamnu ponen :banghead:

ajaybaskar
8th May 2012, 11:42 PM
Grandmaster

Not that the film is without flaws or dull moments. But the suspense factor and Lal makes up for everything.

ajaybaskar
4th July 2012, 11:38 PM
Ustad Hotel

Easily the best malayalam film in the recent times. Go for it!!!

directhit
5th July 2012, 08:31 AM
The King & the Commissioner

The two powerful characters of Malayalam cinema created by the script writer Renji Panicker namely Joseph Alex IAS and Bharath Chandran IPS come together in this latest movie scripted by Renji and directed by Shaji Kailas. It is all sound and fury as the story is about the murder of the RAW chief and the intrusion of Pakistan Militants to assassinate the PM. How the IAS and IPS officer join together to defeat the nefarious activities forms the crux.

Though story wise it is nothing extraordinary and been told in the routine manner, it is the dialogues and the performances of the two, Mammootty as Joseph Alex and Suresh Gopi as Bharath Chandran which helps us to sustain the interest throughout. The dialogues in flowery English and Malayalam gets the maximum applause though at times it borders on the extreme prompting one to label it as verbal diarrhea.

If you like Shaji-Renji films, this is the one which you can enjoy it the core.

Regards

Anoop,

Samvrita is there and though she has a very limited screen space, you would like it. jus started watching a couple of days back - too loud (obvious coz of Shaji) so far. But Mammookka and Gopi making me continue :razz: Samvrutha as usual :bow:

directhit
5th July 2012, 08:32 AM
Watched Masters last week.. my first Malayalam movie in a theater.. ( went to watch the movie "3" without knowing that the showtimings are changed :hammer: and ended up watching this)

The whole plot and the story was childish and stupid. Prithviraj, Sasikumar, Ananya, etc etc.. starcast paarthu ellam therinja moonjiya irukke.. paarthudalaamnu ponen :banghead: naane indha padathayellam paakaradhilla :lol2:

Ustad Hotel

Easily the best malayalam film in the recent times. Go for it!!! been reading rave reviews about this so far, looks like son is also following Dad's way ;)

Murali Srinivas
6th July 2012, 10:27 PM
Ustad Hotel

Easily the best malayalam film in the recent times. Go for it!!!

Saw it yesterday. Though belonging to a genre of films like Swades and our own Thevar Magan, where the protagonist who is dreaming of making it big in a foreign country ends up in his home town realising that there is much to do here, the plot has been nicely handled. Taking the real life incident that happened at Madurai and intervening it with the local flavour of Malabar, Anwar Rasheed shows a glimpse of his potential that was never evident in his previous three directorial outings. In stark contrast to his earlier ventures like Rajamanikkam, Chotta Mumbai and Annan Thampi, here the story is told in a delectable manner.

Thilakan as a comeback of sorts is excellent as usual and Siddique as his son does his job well. Veteran Mammukoya leaves his mark and Nithya Menon the heroine is ok. What can one say about Dulquar! The boy has a charm and comes out as a natural. He has a deep resonating voice that should stand him in good stead.

To sign off let me use the words, what dear brother Ajaybaskar had messaged me after seeing the movie [though I don't fully endorse it]

Mammookka can now retire peacefully!

Regards

ajaybaskar
7th July 2012, 06:30 AM
:lol:

That was just a compliment for Dulquer. Even I don't want Mammookka to retire. :)

ajaybaskar
7th July 2012, 06:34 AM
Murali Anna,

Though Anwar Rasheed has a fair share in the product, I believe Anjali Menon's writing deserves a praise. Looks like she is the best thing happened to MFI recently. Her Manjadikkuru has been getting rave reviews as well.

Saai
20th July 2012, 10:50 AM
First half of Sandhesham- A srinivasan movie

Excellent fun. Not sure how the two parties of kerala took this movie when it released

Nerd
6th August 2012, 02:20 AM
Indian Rupee - Err.. whats great about this film? Convenient / cliched / predictable / sappy / simplistic. Of course it was engaging/ entertaining /easy watch and all that. But nowhere near a *great* film. National award? Is this the best of malluland?!

Plum
6th August 2012, 11:45 AM
Mallu land is wearing towards that poetic feel etc. Not much impressed with the Traffics, Beautifuls, and even Pranayams. Is Blessy over rated?

ajaybaskar
9th August 2012, 09:28 AM
Thattathin Marayathu

Same old hindu boy falls in love with muslim girl story. But Vineeth impresses with the presentation. Way to go!! :notworthy:

Two scenes: The proposal and Vinod describing Aisha's beauty to the Inspector. :clap: Anubavichu ezhidhirukkaanya..

directhit
26th December 2012, 11:29 AM
Run Baby Run - not bad :) especially the scenes involving Lal and Biju Menon.. coming from someone like Joshi expected something even more better, but considering his latest movies this one is quite good. Even Amala Paul was surprisingly good!

littlemaster1982
20th May 2013, 11:54 PM
Ustaad Hotel - Could have been a great feel good film if not for the final 20 mins. Made the movie a little preachy. Thilakan was wonderful and so was the music.

ajaybaskar
21st May 2013, 08:46 AM
The climax was to nenjai nakkify masses and it did exactly that. While the same element was seen in Swades and VSV too buy they made sure that it was told right through the movie in parts and did not rely on the last 20 min. Here it was protruding, I agree. :)

Performances and music were top notch as you said.

Russellxom
7th November 2013, 07:34 PM
http://theaterbalcony.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mumbai-Police-review.jpg

watched mumbai police ....just one word - Brilliant

watched mumbai police someday before..this is an investigation movie ...according to me it's the number 1
investgation thriller suspense movie made in india...prithvira's best role i have ever seen & all the other cast mindblowing..
scrrenplay & direction was superb...

my rating = 4/5

Russellxom
7th November 2013, 08:19 PM
Geethanjali official trailer

http://youtu.be/7RBM46gPojE

he , this is the return of the character DR sunny played by mohanlal in manichithrathazhu which is lately remaked
into tamil as "chandramukhi", in kannada as " apthamitha", in telugu as "nagavally" , in hindi as "bhool bhulaya"...

now dr sunny on a new mission...hope thalaivar rajini will remake it :-D

pradheep
6th June 2014, 09:39 PM
Dhrishyam malaylam movie's new vision of review is here. http://uni5.co/index.php/en/spritual-moview-reviews/dhrishyam-movie.html

eehaiupehazij
10th June 2014, 12:05 PM
DHRISHYAM. We can say Mohanlal's lifetime movie in line with Chitram, Manicnithrathaazh and Kreedam. What a subtle acting! The plot is absorbing and exciting thanks to Jeethu Joseph's brilliant direction. The scene stealer is Kalabhavan Jo as constable Sagadevan. Aptly supported by Siddique, Meena and Asha Sarath as the IG. The children of George Kutty.. fantastic. Riveting climax and unforgettable camera work when Mohanlal returns and step out of the police station at the end, showing where the body was buried! Refreshing movie

mappi
2nd August 2014, 03:55 AM
Gangster (2014) Starring Mammootty

An aging leader of crime syndicate, Akbar, operates in Manglore. A deal he refuses to carry out turns his world, both above and under, into shattered glass pieces which breaks him morally. His comeback and the payback makes him the monster Gangster.

If you liked Billa 2, you will find this film visually rich and narratively artistic (Directed by Aashiq Abu). I completely enjoyed the film, and the beauty is that the subplots are either the tiny expressions by the artists (mainly Mammootty) or the effective music that makes you narrate the back story yourself. That becomes the major drawback for the film, as it refuses to spoon feed the audience. Mammootty has just a page of 10 lines of awesome dialogues (Written by Ahmed Sidhique). The Villan (Sekhar Menon) is menancing. Music (Deepak Dev) is top notch. "Allahu Akbar" song is beautiful and breathtaking. Cinemotography (by Alby), esp. the Rajathan parts were fabulous. Art works were great. The flash back episode that draws our attention in the begining of the movie is worth a mention.

What would have disapointed many is the screen presence of Mammootty and the way he is presented. He seems not to do anything big as one would expect 'Mammootty' to do. But as the character Akbhar he is fit, fine and kicking. All his expressions and sharp looks are convincing. The film is crowded with so many characters hanging loosely, and all we can do is try to connect them and see, but they fail to come together or the film had some massive censor cuts or Producer cuts. Awesome characters, wasted completely in this naration, bad that we don't get to see an uncensored director cut for Indian movies atleast for Home Viewing purpose. The film grows a bit violent towards the end, viewers discretion recommended.

The main problem I had was the extensive show of narcotics, tobacco and alcohol usage, the same way I felt with the movie 'Honey Bee' too.

Gangster : "Akbar will pay you back"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJKlSI9O4e0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKc_90uvEBs

Murali Srinivas
8th September 2014, 02:16 PM
Watched a couple of Malayalam movies after a very long time and the thought that struck me was how much I have been missing in the last 2-3 years. Before which I used to regularly catch up with the new releases in theatres but of late couldn't. The Malayalam Film industry had really come off age if you could put it that way.

Drishyam - the one that I missed out in theatres in spite of it completing almost a 100 day run in a Chennai theatre. Not set in glittering metros but at the backdrop of high range village oozing with old world charm, it brought back fond memories. But the story telling is update and the gripping manner in which it unfolds is amazing. When it comes to mysteries, thrillers or investigation genre movies there are few industries that can stand up to Malayalam Films. Jeetu Joseph proudly carries that tradition foward [you should also see his film Memories].

Everyone in the film had done a fine job and it was heartening to see Lal in a common man's role after a long time and he is charming to the core. Two scenes -first one when he mischievously comment about being damn tired after the previous night's work in front of his daughters for which Meena [very nice portrayal] chides him for openly talking like this. Lal replies " avalude prayathil enikku idhinai kurichu onnum ariyaamelaayirunnu" to which Meena counters "Parachal kettal thonum ippo edhaandeikkeyo ariyaavanu" and walks back with mischief written all over her face. You must see Lal's reaction after this. Class!

Second scene to mention about is the one where he gets beaten up balck and blue by the police with his wife and children crying and pleading for mercy and he gets up from the floor and flick his eye lids! Typical Lalism and that smaal gesture simply lifts the scene to another level.

Siddique is apt and the arrogance of an IPS officer comes out nicely through Asha Sarath's portrayal. Not ot forget Kalabhavan Jo.

After seeing this (though I had my own doubts earlier too] I feel the Tamil remake may find it very difficult to match up to the original in spite of having Kamal.

Regards

Murali Srinivas
8th September 2014, 04:11 PM
Bangalore Days - The film that I saw in theatre after a long time. New Age cinema where more than the story, building up of incidents happens to be the backbone of the screenplay. That helps what would have been a story in a nutshell getting extended to 150 minutes of enjoyable fare. Kudos to Anjali Menon for making her directorail debut in a stunning fashion.

All the lead actors have fitted in to their characters like a T. Nazria is a live wire and carries the role of Divya effortelessly. Nivin Pauly [heard that he is the leading guy in Thattathin Marayathu and Neram but never seen him on screen] was adequate. Fahad as the brooding sombre Das [and later as the racer Siva in the flash back] was exactly looking like a man who had stepped out of an IT company. I must concede that I never thought that this guy would come so far after watching his debut movie Kaiyethum Doorathu way back in 2002. Parvathy and Nithya were ok.

Dulquer continues to surprise me. He is so natural, easy going and fits in to the character so well that you see only Aju and not the actor. Except for the walk and the booming metallic voice, he is totally different from his father. Want to watch his other movies too.

Hope to see more of Anjali Menon as a director cum script writer.

Regards

Murali Srinivas
8th September 2014, 06:17 PM
Mr.Fraud: B.Unnikrishnan as a script writer was tremendous in the Shaji Kailas directed "The Tiger". Especially the twist in the climax was stunning. But when he turned director, I have found his films to be underwhelming. Whether it was Smart city, Madambi, Pramani, all were just so so. Grand Master was good in parts but climax was a let down. Having this at the back of my mind sat down to watch Mr. Fraud.

The film opens up with a scene getting enacted 41 years back. Unni had used the Padmanabha Swamy Temple Vault treasure as the theme for his film and his story talks about one such Royal Family that keeps treasure in the underground cellars of their palace, which can be opened only after 41 years as per the court order. When the family gets ready to open the vault, a gang plans for the heist of the booty and Mohanlal as the kingpin of the heist team enters the palace as an evaluator and how he carries out the heist in the face of adversity forms the crux.

The storyline that promises to be an edge of the seat thriller fails to deliver in the celluloid format. Even the heist operation fails to arouse any adrenaline rush and just passes on. Some crucial points as for as logic is concerned also have a gaping hole and the one connecting factor between the lead characters happening on one single day seems to be cinematic rather than a natural happening.

Lal in a Salt and Pepper look tries to save the film but screenplay lets him down. Except for Siddique others even don't get decent screen time and the result is there for all to see.

Hope Unni gets back to his old days of script writing and comes out with a winner next time.

Regards

ajaybaskar
8th September 2014, 06:39 PM
Murali Anna,

Anjali Menon's directorial debut is Manjadikuru. :)

Murali Srinivas
8th September 2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks Ajay. That totally slipped out of my mind. I was only thinking about Usthadh Hotel which Anjali had scripted. Good that you are here!

Regards

Murali

Murali Srinivas
9th September 2014, 02:18 PM
Saw parts of some movies

How Old Are You? - Manju Warriar's comeback movie. Saw the last 30-40 mins of it. Before this had seen some photos and watched ads featuring Manju and I was surprised to see her in shape with facial glow because 14 years is too long a time for an actress to have been away from the camera. But when I watched the movie, especially during closeups her face looked a bit odd in the sense as if it was wax coated. It took away the sheen on her face. May be she had undergone some plastic surgery, not sure.

Not able to comment much on the movie though since the portions that I saw related to the heroine addressing a seminar where she comes out of her shell and starts talking about the eco revolution rather the organic farming which the state minister presemt in the seminar takes up in all earnestness that culminates to her journey to Delhi where she is honoured and celebrated as a pioneer and the film ends with Manju informing over phone to her friend Kainha [5 Star & Pazhassi Raja fame] that she is going on a vacation to Europe. Must watch the full movie and this is what is going to be the comeback vehicle of Jyotika in the Tamil remake. Being a Roshan Andrews film this will not be disappointing, I hope.

Pattom Pole - Again I could see only the second half of the movie. Age old story of Hindu Boy getting hooked to Christian girl. Only novelty seems to be both the boy and girl elope to Tamilnadu and after some time come back to their home town due to ego clashes. They work in the same company afterwards and the usual factors associated with such type of situation, girl's parents planning to get her married to another guy and lovers deciding to again elope and getting caught in the act and the usual happy ending is what that was dished out.

As said nothing to write about except again to talk about Dulquer. This time as a Tamil Brahmin boy he is all cheerful and chirpy. His Tamil is good [schooled at Sishya, Adayar, Chennai] though not entirely blemishless. One can surely say that he brings in fresh air. Lalu Alex as the father of the girl was hisusual self. Nothing else stayed in mind. Maybe a proper watch may help.

Regards

rajeshkrv
12th September 2014, 03:48 AM
Mr fraud was ok ok

Saw Aswamedham -- mindblowing is the word. Sheela rocked .. able support by satyan too

Murali Srinivas
11th November 2014, 06:21 PM
Varsham

Watched a Mammootty movie in theatre after a long long time. Varsham which means rains or rainy season [Kaala Varsham] here symbolizes love and affection. It talks about the undue pressure that today’s children are made to undergo in the name of competitiveness which is again a fallout of the times we live in and parents’ anxiety to see their wards excel in all fields.

The story revolves around a nuclear family consisting of a single child with the bread winner engaged in running a Private Finance company, a concept unique to Kerala. While the father runs his business in a cut throat fashion his wife a forced home maker [always whining about leaving a banking career] indulges in gossip mongering and happenings in the colony in between her visits to beauty parlour. Husband and wife are always at logger heads but when it comes to exerting undue burden on their son they out wit each other. Father wants son to learn karate, go for cricket coaching [so that he can play IPL, become another Sachin] while mother wants him to go for swimming not because she feels it good but because the neighbour’s daughter has won a prize, Over and above the son needs to clear the Medical entrance exam which is the ultimate aspiration of the parents. And poor guy he is not that bright to do all these.

What happens when a tragedy hits them striking at the very root of their desire forms the crux of the story. How it shatters them and how all the materialistic desires that they were chasing becomes unsolicited and how life changes for them is shown in a poignant manner. How the nexus between the Private financiers [loan sharks] and the political circle and the machination that happen behind the screens to make their profits by hook or crook also plays a part in the protagonist’s life is clearly interwoven.

As a no holds barred business man with all ends and no means attitude in the first half and as the man crestfallen by the tragedy and later as a one wanting to help the under privileged, Mammootty fits the bill to the T. His emoting during the time of tragedy and later when he meets the boy whom he had financially helped for a heart surgery and the scene where he simply stares at the next door boy who had miraculously recovered from Leukemia all stand testimony to the fact how great an actor he is.

Asha Sharath the all pervading police official of Drishyam here takes up the role of the home maker and the Jaya Bharathi look like actress does her work neatly. As if it is a norm, all supporting artists play their part well as always. Camera captures the mood of the movie in the backdrop of rains the shoot having taken place in real time season.

If you are a person attached to old world values of love affection and relationship then you would love this. The length could have been trimmed a bit to ensure more focus.

Regards

RAGHAVENDRA
12th November 2014, 07:36 AM
Dear Murali Sir and friends here,
Given below is the youtube link for the song Kanninnullil nee kanmani cover by my son Prahaladan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylR6q998Fw8

Your feedback is most welcome.

Murali Srinivas
12th November 2014, 11:05 PM
Dear Raghavendar Sir,

Nice melody from Jayachandran the music director and Prahalad had done a decent job. Pronounciation of certain words is the only nitpick if at all if something needs to be pointed out and that is quite understandable as Prahalad is not a native speaker and believe me Malayalam is not that easy to grasp and converse without flaw. With more exposure I am sure that he would iron out the shortcomings.

Congratulations and all the Best to him!

Regards

ajaybaskar
26th November 2014, 11:57 AM
God's Own Country

Yet another Malayalam film which employs hyperlink narration after Friday and Traffic. Decent watch.

mappi
26th February 2015, 06:12 PM
Aadu Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fiZ52yj4b4

Satan Xavier Entry in Aadu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIlqxS1UFXk

Murali Srinivas
16th April 2015, 06:30 PM
100 Days of Love [ Malayalam]

Sort of a precursor to OK Kanmani? May or may not be as the Mani Ratnam film is yet to unfold on screen. The fact that the lead pair is the same must be evoking such thoughts though they had shared screen space together in Ustadh Hotel itself.

Though the knot in the story might not be fresh (we having seen it in Kadhal Mannan itself way back in 1998) the film keeps you interested till the end because of its treatment. The happenings over a period of 100 days time is told through a narration which at times is accentuated by means of voice over done by the protagonist himself.

The initial sequences of the accidental meeting between the lead pair that takes place on a rainy night, the old SLR camera left behind by the girl, the guy developing the negative loaded in the camera, the obscure images that come out, he unable to make anything out of the random shots of herself in hard to find places in the city, his relentless pursuit of the girl and the anti climax ending of the chase are told with humour lased on it.

Dulquer – this guy is growing in stature. He is such a natural that it is hard not to like him even for a staunch critic. He effortlessly sails through the film. Nithya Menon as the girl for whom Dulquer falls is all charm and her own voice adds to the attraction. The stout guy who comes as Dulquer’s friend is quite good.

Jenuse Mohammed the son of veteran director Kamal had made a significant directorial debut and his writing shows promise. The story completely set in Bangalore suits the milieu well.

That films like this with fresh breath of air are welcomed across states is evidenced by it’s BO success both in Kerala and here in TN. Trends are definitely changing.

Regards

nickraman
16th April 2015, 06:59 PM
Bangalore days was well made and excellent. I pity those who are waiting to see their remakes. Their casting is pathetic.

Murali Srinivas
31st July 2015, 08:35 PM
Premam

Happened to watch this movie in theatre 2 weeks back as we were hearing a lot about it.

On the outset it can be called Autograph 2.0 but the treatment is different. A boy in his Pre-degree [Old PUC of ours], final year college student and a guy at 30these are the 3 different stages through which the movie travels. While the first is calf love the second one is more of a physocological feeling where one is attracted by the personality of the opposite sex which may not be the normal case of falling in love. Here it is attraction towards one's teacher. The third episode is one where a desire creeps up from nowhere only to be extinguished immediately and then comes the twist.

Nivin Pauly now the blue eyed boy of Malayalam cinema carries the role with aplomb. He is quite at home during the second episode [if his introduction shot during that phase with a beard and a dhoti can drew such a wild cheer in Chennai imagine the same in Kerala!] He was also good as a 30 year old guy. While Karthika Parameswaran as + 2 student Mary is ok, Madona Sebastian as her sister and the heroine of third episode is lovely.

But the show stealer is Sai Pallavi as the college teacher Malar. Though she may not qualify as a beautiful looking girl, she has exuberance and charm in her side and even after the movie is over her role lingers in our minds. This is a tricky situation where all may not nod their heads of a teacher reciprocating the feelings the student shows towards her but Sai Pallavi doesn't allow that to affect her performance getting appreciated,[But here also there is one dialogue at the end where the viewer is given a hint of all that being a game].

Alphonse Puthiran the director who gave Neram (that came out in Tamil also] has done this and had done it well. He joins a young set of directors who have made people sit up and watch Malayalam movies again. Let's see ow he fares.

Running 7th week [when I saw] and tickets for working day evening show getting sold out in advance in Chennai shows how big this film has become.

Regards

ajaybaskar
18th February 2016, 11:00 AM
Puthiya Niyamam

It is Mammootty's version of Drishyam but slightly less engaging. The comparison to Drishyam becomes inevitable because of the plot and presentation though here the female lead (Nayanthara) has a bigger role to play.

For Mammootty this role is piece of cake and he does it with utmost ease. After giving a stunning performance as Narayanankutty in Pathemari, this looks like his method of taking a breather. Nayanthara continues her fine form and the pair may well become a successful one in the trade circles too..

If only the director had concentrated on the screenplay, the film would've become a milestone film like Drishyam. But still, it is laudable for the novel attempt and the performances of the leads.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

Murali Srinivas
22nd April 2016, 12:39 PM
KALI

Kali (കലി) in Malayalam means rage. The film talks about a man who is short tempered and blows off his lid at the drop of a hat. Having imbibed these traits right from childhood this often lands him in trouble. Even the girl who loves him finds it difficult to change him. Ultimately they get married (with the girl’s parents not approving) and the guy who brooks no delay even while attending interviews do show patience in getting a job as he has to run the family. He takes to yoga classes to control his temper but still things happening in and around him in the office and at home makes him go wild.

One such incident where he loses his cool leads to an unpleasant situation in a party which hugely embarrasses his wife. This triggers a night journey in a car to Masinangudi from Kochi through the high range roads and what happens there forms the second half. It the first half is enjoyable and funny, the second half shits to thriller mode. We must give it to the cinematographer turned director Samir Thahir (who earlier directed Chappa Kurisu and Neelaakaasam Paccha Kadal Chuvana Boomi) for having executed a neat job.

Even the roles of one scene artists are well written. One cannot miss out the irony that lies behind the behaviour of a customer walking in to the Bank to deposit 40 Lakhs in FD in his wife’s name with his mobile ring tone being the famous yesteryear song poomukha vathilkkal sneham vidarthunna (that glorifies the virtues of a good wife) but his harsh tone and loud language when his wife calls is one such example.

Now coming to the lead pair (dream casting) Dulquer and Sai Pallavi, they have done a neat job. Their vibes, chemistry and cute sweet nothings are a pleasure to watch. Sai’s handling of her role especially in the second half is worth mentioning. As usual Dulquer does it effortlessly with the angry young man in him coming out well. Mention need to be made regarding Chemban Vinod Jose and Vinayakan who occupy prime space in second half. Go for it if you enjoy non conventional films.

Regards