Yathu
21st February 2010, 07:20 PM
ARR is coming to London! :D

A R Rahman and the London Philharmonic Orchestra
Wednesday 7 April 2010

London Philharmonic Orchestra
Matt Dunkley conductor
A.R. Rahman composer, special guest

Indian film composer, musician and singer AR Rahman presents his first concert in London since winning the Academy Awards for Best Song and Best Score for the film 'Slumdog Millionaire' in 2009.

The evening is hosted by AR Rahman himself, and features some of his most famous works including suites from 'Slumdog Millionaire' and 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age', performed by Southbank Centre Orchestra in Residence London Philharmonic Orchestra.

The concert is followed by a Q&A with the composer.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/music/classical/tickets/ar-rahman-and-the-london-philharmonic-orchestra-51622

I've booked my tickets! :2thumbsup:

Yathu
21st February 2010, 07:26 PM
An entry from Matt Dunkley's (the conductor from my post above) website:

July 2009 - in L.A. orchestrating and conducting A.R.Rahman's score to the Vince Vaughn comedy "Couples Retreat". Lovely score from A.R. showing just how he can write in any genre. Got to record at Sony Studios on the old MGM scoring stage - had a fun week!

http://www.mattdunkley.com/news.htm

http://www.mattdunkley.com/gallery2.htm

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2010, 12:26 PM
Not sure if ppl have seen this..

http://www.chennaisuperkings.com/news/images/a5c4d8f4-bfcb-4c09-b103-f4d47aaf75cf.jpg

A.ANAND
23rd February 2010, 02:43 PM
Happy Oscar anniversary

Those million dollar moments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mwmo_9hvg

ARRYG-

sathya_1979
23rd February 2010, 02:46 PM
Happy Oscar anniversary

ARRYG-
Sony TV - 45000 Rs
Bunking Office to Watch Oscars - 1700 Rs
Tata Sky Connection - 400 Rs

Watching ARR pick up Two Oscars - Priceless :D

There are many things money can buy! For everything else there is ARR:D

SoftSword
23rd February 2010, 04:21 PM
Not sure if ppl have seen this..

http://www.chennaisuperkings.com/news/images/a5c4d8f4-bfcb-4c09-b103-f4d47aaf75cf.jpg

i guess its the pic taken during the sydney concert when hayden was like an anchor...

Benny Lava
23rd February 2010, 08:43 PM
Happy Oscar anniversary

ARRYG-
Sony TV - 45000 Rs
Bunking Office to Watch Oscars - 1700 Rs
Tata Sky Connection - 400 Rs

Watching ARR pick up Two Oscars - Priceless :D

There are many things money can buy! For everything else there is ARR:D

Sathya... you are a very rich man!! :shock:

sathya_1979
23rd February 2010, 09:04 PM
Ennoda loan details naan post pannaveyillaye ! :D

sathya_1979
23rd February 2010, 09:08 PM
Working for an MNC proves the concept of Maya easily! Neraya sambaadhikkara maadhiri irukkum, aanaa EOM Bank Balance will be negative. Panam irukkum aanaa irukkadhu :lol:

Benny Lava
23rd February 2010, 09:10 PM
Ennoda loan details naan post pannaveyillaye ! :D

Vendaam! neenga yerkanavey neraiya solliteenga nren :D

sathya_1979
23rd February 2010, 09:12 PM
Neenga kaettaalum naan solla maatten :D

ajaybaskar
25th February 2010, 09:48 AM
Home is where the heart is for Indian composer Rahman

By Shilpa Jamkhandikar

MUMBAI (Reuters Life!) - With two Oscars and two Grammy awards in less than a year, Indian composer A.R. Rahman of "Slumdog Millionaire" fame is riding high on his international success, but his heart still remains at home.

Back in his hometown Chennai after more than a month in Los Angeles, where he now spends most of his time, Rahman spoke to Reuters about working on "We Are The World," the charity single for quake-stricken Haiti, his experience in Hollywood and how India will never really lose its famous son.

Q: It's been almost a year since you won the Oscar. How has your life changed?

A: "I am living more in Los Angeles and meeting a completely different set of people; very nice people of course, and things which were impossible before, such as "We are the world" -- going in that community and singing there, was fantastic. I have been commissioned to do some stuff for artists, which you will hear about shortly. There is a tour also. So much has happened in one year."

Q: You also composed music for your first Hollywood movie, "Couples Retreat." How is working in Hollywood different from working in India?

A: "In a situation like that, anything can happen. There are a lot of committees which scrutinize the music, they hear it again and again, changes happen. The music took almost three months. I was writing and re-writing. They have research groups to whom they play the music and movie to, and take their reactions, come back. You may even get fired. It is a studio film, so anything can happen."

Q: Did that change the way you work?

A: "No, not really, but a composer told me that in Hollywood, if a composer doesn't get fired, he isn't a real composer. That is the agony of working on a score there, even the most senior composers get fired. It is the easiest thing to do, fire the composer, because they can't change the actors or the movie, but they can change the music. It's risky."

Q: What is the one aspect that you wish the Indian film industry could borrow from the West?

A: "I think we should think about what we are leaving for future generations. After a while, when you have achieved everything, it is time to give back. Our people are so hardworking that we can excel anywhere in the world, but they just need to open up their imaginations. We need to be original and nurture creativity. We can't be slaves to mediocrity, and that can only happen when the right people put in the effort."

Q: Are there any more international projects in the pipeline? There was talk of you collaborating with Celine Dion.

A: "I can't really talk about anything at the moment, but you will hear something the minute it is finalized. Celine Dion is just a rumor."

Q: Some rumors do turn out to be true.

A: "This could turn out to be true, but nothing like that is planned at the moment. I sang with her for "We are the World," that is all."

Q: Could you talk about that experience?

A: "It was great. I got a call from the organizers, asking if I was in town. I said yes, and went along for the recording. We recorded from 3 to 8, and it was an overwhelming experience, singing with all these great artists under one roof."

Q: A lot of people in India feel that even though you won for Slumdog, that isn't your best score. What do you think?

A: "I think it was the best score for the film. In a way it is naive for people to think like that. There is always a debate over which music is better, whether it is classical or pop, Western classical or Indian classical, and so on. But for a child, a nursery rhyme is equal to what may be classical music for us. It is the presence of mind and the eye of the beholder that matters. We got two Oscars and two Grammys for it, so it is more than enough."

Q: Is international success something you coveted before you started out?

A: "In a naive way, yes. I wasn't too ambitious about it, but it was always in a corner of my mind, that what we do here should be appreciated by the rest of the world. We like their music, but we also have representation in the world stage, and that has come true, which is great. In a small way, there are many more miles to go, but it is a great start. It is not only a good start for me, but also anyone, whether you are in a village, and are making music, if it needs to be heard, it will be heard."

Q: So much is being said about the fact that India has lost Rahman to Hollywood. Has it?

A: "Oh, they say that every three years, they want to pack me off. I have a responsibility here, and my family is here, so these things will always pull me back here, wherever I may be. This is my base, I will keep coming back."

(Editing by Miral Fahmy)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE61N0WL20100224?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=11700

Appu s
25th February 2010, 10:21 AM
Q: So much is being said about the fact that India has lost Rahman to Hollywood. Has it?

A: "Oh, they say that every three years, they want to pack me off. I have a responsibility here, and my family is here, so these things will always pull me back here, wherever I may be. This is my base, I will keep coming back."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE61N0WL20100224?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=11700

:bow: :bow:

A.ANAND
25th February 2010, 02:19 PM
Big B, SRK, Ash say Jai Ho Rahman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K_0Gag2c4M&feature=channel

Aalavanthan
25th February 2010, 04:22 PM
Q: A lot of people in India feel that even though you won for Slumdog, that isn't your best score. What do you think?

A: "I think it was the best score for the film.

Brilliantly put !

MADDY
25th February 2010, 04:44 PM
There is always a debate over which music is better, whether it is classical or pop, Western classical or Indian classical, and so on. But for a child, a nursery rhyme is equal to what may be classical music for us. It is the presence of mind and the eye of the beholder that matters.

i think this is what most geniuses keep saying - its people who rate music by its genre :D

Dragun
25th February 2010, 10:57 PM
Remember, Western classical music was popular music when it was new.

venkkiram
2nd March 2010, 06:39 AM
வல்லினம் இணைய இதழில் அகிலனின் கட்டுரை - "ஏ ஆர் ரஹ்மான் : வெற்றியின் செய்தி (http://www.vallinam.com.my/issue15/column4.html)"

இதையே ஜெயமோகனும் தன் பங்கிற்கு (http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=6651) வழி மொழிந்திருக்கிறார்.

sathya_1979
2nd March 2010, 10:19 AM
Venki :ty:

A.ANAND
2nd March 2010, 11:38 AM
[tscii:b2617a0b0e]
T¨ºte-¨¤-T¨ºte with A R Rahman (Trailer)
[Monday, March 01, 2010]

Join IndiaGlitz with an exclusive interview with A R Rahman, his first after being awarded the ¡®Padma Bhushan¡¯. Watch him at his candid best. Only on IndiaGlitz.com.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/21251.html[/tscii:b2617a0b0e]

A.ANAND
2nd March 2010, 02:12 PM
வல்லினம் இணைய இதழில் அகிலனின் கட்டுரை - "ஏ ஆர் ரஹ்மான் : வெற்றியின் செய்தி (http://www.vallinam.com.my/issue15/column4.html)"

இதையே ஜெயமோகனும் தன் பங்கிற்கு (http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=6651) வழி மொழிந்திருக்கிறார்.

:ty: :ty: :ty: venkiram sir! :notworthy:

A.ANAND
2nd March 2010, 06:20 PM
The Making Of RahMania 2010
[Tuesday, March 02, 2010]
Watch the people behind RahMania 2010. An exclusive video showing the singers involved in this mega event to pay tribute for the enormous success of A R Rahman. See them share their experiences with A R Rahman. Watch them rehearse the songs, sound checks and the colourful lighting. Exclusively for IndiaGlitz viewers.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/21262.html

music man
2nd March 2010, 08:25 PM

Thanks for such a nice article.. :clap:

A.ANAND
3rd March 2010, 07:49 PM
[tscii:d5c1fe1a79]Benny Dayal on Ommana Penne, his bands and more

Ommana Penne, the song from Vinnaithaandi Varuvaya,is topping music charts and the man behind the voice, Benny Dayal, is on a high. ¡°Ommana Penneis a song I hold close to heart as I rendered the track for Rahman Sir on my birthday (May 13). Although Rahman Sir was supposed to sing the song, he insisted I sing it after hearing the track,¡± says Benny. Awed at the genius that is A.R. Rahman, Benny says that although the song has predominantly Tamil lyrics, Rahman has managed to retain the ¡°Malayaliness¡± of the song by using Kalyani Menon's voice also for the song, thus making it a cross-cultural hit.

So, does that mean such songs will become a trend? ¡°Whatever Rahman sir does is a trend. He is always experimenting, trying out different styles, music¡*,¡± says Benny who apart from making his mark in the South Indian music industry is also leaving a trail of fine music in Bollywood.

¡°I'm grateful to Rahman sir for that too. He was the one who gave me Pappu Can't Dancein Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na. I sang in Rocket Singh-Salesman of the Yearand Pyaar Impossiblerecently. ¡°As for upcoming works, I'm not someone who talks about it before it comes out. Let it be a surprise to my listeners. Didn't Ommana Pennecome as pleasant surprise?¡± laughs Benny who after working with bands S5 and Rainbow Bridge is now working with another ¨C Subject of Change.

¡°We are a five-member acappella-cum-acoustic troupe, Aakash Jacob, Toby Joseph, Anisha Verghese, Anjana Raghavan and myself. We have performed in all the major cities; maybe we will perform in Kerala soon,¡± says the singer who hails from Kollam but was raised in Abu Dhabi.

Memories of Kerala

¡°My memories of Kerala are of spending lazy days at my grandparent's place during my school holidays, visiting relatives and digging my teeth into scrumptious food. Now of course, Kerala means home as my parents are settled here,¡± says Benny who adds that his mom's cooking is what he looks forward to when he is at home.

When he is not listening to all genres of music, Benny enjoys unwinding to movies. ¡°I like movies with happy endings, so I enjoy watching chick flicks,¡± says Benny who had a stint in front of the camera in By the People. ¡°Acting in By the Peoplewas a good experience. Although I had fun, I realised then that acting was not my cup of tea. I realised what my calling in life really was while shooting for it ¨C music.¡±
[/tscii:d5c1fe1a79]

A.ANAND
4th March 2010, 07:18 PM
[tscii:3bcffe8e89]The Rahman-Filmfare Affair
IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, March 03, 2010]

He might have won the most prestigious award for music ¨C the Grammys but do you know how many Filmfare awards has A R Rahman received so far?

A R Rahman, music¡¯s very own child, has been receiving accolades from all parts of the world for his work. Perhaps he doesn¡¯t have blood in him but music. He¡¯s got the Oscars, Grammys and a couple of other Critics awards from the USA and the world over. One thing people didn¡¯t realize is his recognition, way back home in India.

Rahman was awarded the Tamil Nadu State Film award for Best Music Director for his first movie ¡®Roja¡¯ and later on he went on to be awarded the same title 6 times. Apart from the state noticing his talent, he received the National award for his first movie. He totally has four National awards for Best Music with him so far.

Ever since he made his debut in ¡®Roja¡¯ in 1992, he had won the Filmfare awards for music 25 times - including Best Music director, New Music Talent and Best Background Score - Hindi and Tamil put together.

Another more interesting part is, Rahman has won the Best Music Director Award, for 10 years in a row right from 1992 to 2002. After 2002, He involved himself with international projects.

Again from 2006, the affair with Filmfare continued. He was awarded Filmfare Best Music Director for the Hindi blockbuster ¡®Rang De Basanti¡¯ and every year from then till ¡®Delhi 6¡¯ in 2009. In 2007, he won the Best Music Director award in Hindi for mentor Mani Ratnam¡¯s ¡®Guru¡¯ and in Tamil for Rajinikanth starrer ¡®Sivaji¡¯. Just gets to show, he has affirmed his presence throughout the country.

If that¡¯s private sector, let¡¯s move to the Government sector. The Government of India recently awarded him the ¡®Padma Bhushan¡¯, India¡¯s 3rd highest civilian award.

A R Rahman has a series of movies lined up for this year and the next. And these are only going to increase the count of those priceless awards. Keep counting!

ithu thalavarin 25 filmfare award atha poda maranthutangga! :banghead:

vera entha 'kombanalaiyum'intha record beat panna mudiyuma??only thalaivar! :notworthy: [/tscii:3bcffe8e89]

Ramakrishna
4th March 2010, 07:25 PM
ethana award kudukraanga... vera ethaavathu kudukka sollungappa

A.ANAND
4th March 2010, 07:36 PM

25FF award vangganathukkaga oru award kodukkalam! :lol:

SoftSword
4th March 2010, 09:06 PM

vera edhavadhuna... kuduttha mattum... adhaan yaaro orutthar kuduttha champagne bottlea thiruppi anuppittaen'nu sonnarae theriyadha...

Thiru
4th March 2010, 09:51 PM
Rahman plans massive music tour in June

Oscar-winning music maestro A.R. Rahman has reportedly teamed up with Amy Tinkham, known for creating live musical concerts for Britney Spears and Mariah Carey, for a tour to salute Bollywood and Indian music.

"The Journey Home World Tour will be a theatrical experience that will blend new technologies with powerful dance arrangements and acrobatics. The concert will keep intact the heritage and traditions of India with a new modern presentation," contactmusic.com quoted Rahman's spokesperson as saying.

"The show will feature changing sets, large images on LED screens and a spectacular cast of musicians and dancers from across the globe."

The Jai Ho Concert: The Journey Home World Tour is slated to begin in June at the Nassau Coliseum in New York. It will feature music from the film and tracks he was working on with the late Michael Jackson before the King of Pop died last summer.

Produced by Deepak Gattani, the tour will travel to over 20 major arenas and cities around the world, including The Forum in Los Angeles, The Patriot Center in Washington, American Airlines Arena in Dallas, Texas and Wembley Arena and the O2 Arena in London.

A.ANAND
4th March 2010, 10:59 PM
[tscii:e8cba7253c]A.R. Rahman having Jai Ho concerts in 16 world cities
Thursday, March 04, 2010

New Delhi: Oscar winner A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire) will be taking his ¡°Jai Ho¡± concert worldwide, starting June 11 from New York (USA) and ending in London (United Kingdom) on July 26, according to reports.

During this period, he will reportedly have live concerts in USA, Canada, Netherlands, France, Norway, and United Kingdom; covering the cities of New York, Atlantic City, Washington DC, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Amsterdam, Paris, Oslo, Glasgow, Manchester, and London. More concerts of this world tour will be announced in the future.

Well known choreographer-director Amy Tinkham, who has worked on the concerts of the likes of Paul McCartney, Madonna, Britney Spears, Dixie Chicks, Motley Crue, etc., will reportedly be associated with Rahman¡¯s concerts, which are said to include acrobatics, new technologies, fascinating dance arrangements, changing sets, LED screens, and global cast of dancers and musicians. It is termed as a ¡°virtual journey through beauty, culture, and spirituality¡±.
Acclaimed Indo-American statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, commended Rahman for taking the Indian music to new heights and bringing respect and international recognition to Indian film music. Zed, who is chairperson of Indo-American Leadership Confederation, urged Government of India to launch some world-class conservatories in collaboration with major business houses to channelize the abundant musical talent of India.

Rahman, who has reportedly recorded sales of over 300 million, was called ¡°Mozart of Madras'' by Time magazine. Rahman sees music ¡°as a way to connect to spirituality and embrace it¡± and for ¡°creating harmony in troubled times

http://www.orissadiary.com/ShowEntertainmentNews.asp?id=17045

[/tscii:e8cba7253c]

ajaybaskar
4th March 2010, 11:06 PM
@ Softsword,

In Kamini Mathai's book, it has been mentioned that ARR boozed once in a while during the early days of his career. I doubt the reliability of the news but I use this scoop to my benefit for getting permission from my wife for my 'once in a while booze'.

SoftSword
4th March 2010, 11:18 PM
@ Softsword,

In Kamini Mathai's book, it has been mentioned that ARR boozed once in a while during the early days of his career. I doubt the reliability of the news but I use this scoop to my benefit for getting permission from my wife for my 'once in a while booze'.

adappavingala idhu dhaan kadavul mela bhaarattha pottu ootthikkiradhaa...

A.ANAND
5th March 2010, 11:52 AM
[tscii:748b3b3916]A R Rahman - From The Heart
[Friday, March 05, 2010]
After the double Oscars and double Grammys our A R Rahman is the symbol of Indian music to the world. The much decorated musical storm is in an exclusive conversation with IndiaGlitz here.

A R Rahman agrees the year 2009 has been the best year so far in his life with a lot of international recognitions. The Great man says Oscar hasn¡¯t changed his life and he is the same even after all those international awards.

A R Rahman is proud to go international from a small place in Chennai and says that proves music can be done from any where on any machine but what comes from the head is that what matter. A R Rahman in 2010 will be busy on his musical tours and completing his previously accepted projects.

On working with directors like Mani Ratnam and Shankar, he says it is easy to work with them because they define what exactly they want for their films. Also the maestro feels if he is chosen for a small film the expectations will be a burden for the director and that expectations may even affect the prospects of the film.

He also talks about his ambitious KM observatory. He says he is waiting for the transformation of the kids there and that will be his day.

The genius is also human. Watch it.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/21283.html

[/tscii:748b3b3916]

A.ANAND
5th March 2010, 01:57 PM
[tscii:6aed072f77]ARR ‘Jai Ho’ World Tour starts June 11
IndiaGlitz [Friday, March 05, 2010]

A R Rahman will be embarking on a ‘Jai Ho’ concert worldwide tour from June this year. The "A R Rahman Jai Ho Concert: The Journey Home World Tour" kicks off on June 11 at the Nassau Coliseum in New York and will extent to over 16 major cities worldwide.

For this world tour A R Rahman will be collaborating with choreographer-director Amy Tinkham, who has created stage shows for the likes of Paul McCartney, Madonna, Britney Spears, Dixie Chicks, Motley Crue, etc. The concerts are said to include spectacular special effects and global cast of dancers and musicians inspired by his native India. It is termed as a “virtual journey through beauty, culture, and spirituality”.

The concerts will include songs from 'Slumdog Millionaire' as well as the Indian films 'Lagaan', 'Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na', 'Dil Se', 'Rang De Basanti', 'Roja' and others.

Here are the tour dates for the ‘A R Rahman Jai Ho Concert: The Journey Home World Tour’:

Jun. 11: Uniondale, N.Y. (Nassau Coliseum)

Jun. 12: Atlantic City, N.J. (Boardwalk Hall Arena)

Jun. 13: Washington, D.C. (Patriot Center)

Jun. 18: Chicago, Ill. (Sears Centre Arena)

Jun. 19: Detroit, Mich. (Pontiac Silverdome)

Jun. 20: Toronto, Ontario (Air Canada Centre)

Jun. 26: San Francisco, Calif. (Oracle Arena)

Jun. 27: Los Angeles, Calif. (The Forum)

Jul. 2: Dallas, Texas (American Airlines Center)

Jul. 3: Houston, Texas (Houston Toyota Center)

Jul. 9: Amsterdam, Netherlands (Ohio Arena)

Jul. 10: Paris, France (Bercy)

Jul. 18: Oslo, Norway (Oslo Spektrum)

Jul. 23: Glasgow, Scotland (SECC)

Jul. 24: Manchester, England (M.E.N. Arena)

Jul. 25: London, England (O2 Arena)

Jul. 26: London, England (Wembley Stadium)

Additional dates are yet to be announced. For ticket information, visit www.arrahman.com.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/54994.html[/tscii:6aed072f77]

K2AL
8th March 2010, 11:28 AM
55th Filmfare Awards 2010 Best MD -ARR For Dehli 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNRoGPY2M0

baroque
8th March 2010, 11:34 PM
CONGRATS Rahman
:ty: for the youtube.
tranquilizing Khayyam Saab honored.
vinatha.

Jyothsna
10th March 2010, 01:54 PM
A very rare interview of A R Rahman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1STKiZnB_Ps

baroque
11th March 2010, 09:41 AM
I have seen this interview some months back..
He is a cute boy! :)
when I first watched this clip...
I literally cried listening to him saying..'I know few ragas, I use whenever necessary...'
INNOCENT.
seeing the video clip again today... I choked with emotions.
GOD BLESS YOU BHAIYA!
SURABHI is a fantastic program, :thumbsup:
during my India visits..90s, I loved it. :swinghead:

vinatha. :)

ajithfederer
16th March 2010, 11:26 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komaram_Puli

Is ARR doing Puli?. Wiki says so!!!

viraajan
16th March 2010, 11:32 AM
From Rahman's twitter:

The London Philharmonic performs orchestral versions of my compositions on April 7th :cool:

littlemaster1982
16th March 2010, 02:10 PM

Yes AF. Aana eppa varudhunnudhan theriyala. Ellam indha Pawan Kalyan pandra velai :hammer:

sha
16th March 2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/music/classical/tickets/the-music-of-ar-rahman-51622

i wish there will be a CD recording for this n they release it to the million fans all over the world..

i always wanted an album from ARR like this but now orchestral compositions of his best tracks,, wht else can i ask!

Yathu
16th March 2010, 04:34 PM
I'll be there on April 7th! Can't wait to see ARR in the flesh! :D

ARR won't performing on the night though, only introducing his pieces and taking part in a Q&A session.

I wonder which pieces the orchestra will be playing. The website says it'll be from Elizabeth and Slumdog Millionaire. :D

ajithfederer
16th March 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks lm. Apr 28th nnu wiki-link la irukku.

Yes AF. Aana eppa varudhunnudhan theriyala. Ellam indha Pawan Kalyan pandra velai :hammer:

ajaybaskar
17th March 2010, 05:52 PM
[tscii:9c7f432c34]ரகுமானின் 'ரோஜா டூ ராவணன்'

மணிரத்னம் இயக்கியுள்ள 'ராவணன்', ஜூனில் ரிலீசாக உள்ளது. இப்படம் ரிலீசாகும்போது, 'ரோஜா டூ ராவணன்' என்ற நூலும் வெளியாகிறது. இதில் 'ரோஜா' படம் தொடங்கி, ரகுமானின் இசை பயணம் போட்டோக்களாக அலங்கரிக்கப்படுகின்றன. அத்துடன் ரகுமானை பற்ற¤ய குறிப்புகளும் இடம்பெறுகிறது. இதை ரகுமானுக்கு நெருங்கியவர்கள் வெளியிடுகின்றனர். [/tscii:9c7f432c34]

A.ANAND
18th March 2010, 09:20 AM
[tscii:bb39cabc9a] A.R.Rahman releases Audio of Nayakan(Malayalam) ¨C Music : Prashant PillaiThursday,

http://prashantpillai.com/my-music-projects/a-r-rahman-releases-audio-of-nayakan-malayalam-music-prashant-pillai/[/tscii:bb39cabc9a]

Yuvi
19th March 2010, 01:49 AM
Pardon me if this is a repost..

TIME magazine's 10 questions for ARR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqUbiOgEb0w

ajaybaskar
19th March 2010, 11:41 AM
A.R Rahman was awarded the FICCI Global icon award at FICCI Frames 2010 today

:clap: :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump: :clap: :thumbsup: [/u]

A.ANAND
19th March 2010, 12:43 PM
:2thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :cool2:

A.ANAND
19th March 2010, 12:45 PM
[tscii:a56ae3b46e]Chartbusters of the South Indian Music industry

- R. Richard Mahesh, Sampurn Media

The South Indian music industry wasn¡¯t having it so good sometime back but the dry spell has ended. Several quality albums have come from the genius music directors like Yuvan Shankar Raja and A. R. Rahman, and from promising young musicians like Mickey J. Meyer of Tollywood, and M. Jayachandran of the Malayalam film industry.

Academy Award winner, Rahman, tops the charts with his bilingual album, Vinnaithandi Varuvaaya, the Telugu version of which is titled Ye Maaya Chesavo. The song, ¡®Hosanna¡¯, is currently number one in the music industry. Sung by Vijaya Prakash, Suzanne, and Blaaze, it has been played more than 600 times in February, over various FM channels.

¡®Omana Penne¡¯, from the same album, has been played 500 times. Rahman was supposed to lend his vocals for this song, originally, but he thought Benny Dayal would be more suitable. And it worked. Thamarai's lyrics have added to the theme of romance in this album.

Next on the charts is Telugu melody, Ye Teega Puvvono (Maro Charithra), sung by Shweta Pandit. It is a song that you will fall in love with every time you hear it. Mickey J. Meyer has outdone himself with this album.

Then there is ¡®Just Maath Maathali¡¯, from the Kannada music industry. Raghu Dixit adds a western flavour to this song, with the blend of live drums, continuous guitar notes, and a lot of bass. Raghu has co-written this song with Kiran S. Vipra.

Shreya Ghoshal's rendition of the classical song, Amma Naanu (Crazy Kudumba) is a treat for the ears. This album, too, follows the latest Mollywood trend of incorporating western elements into songs. Music director Jayachandran does an excellent job, with simple, catchy lyrics by Girish enhancing the music.

Last, but not the least, is the Tamil song, ¡®Poo Mudhal Pen Varai¡¯, from Theeratha Vilayattu Pillai. 'Little Isainyani' Yuvan Shankar Raja adds his magical touch to this song, which has has hard rock rhythms on metal guitars. His style is sensational, yet unique.

Looks like ardent South Indian music fans are in for a treat this time.

[/tscii:a56ae3b46e]

A.ANAND
19th March 2010, 01:32 PM
[tscii:05e09922d4]Rights to Rahman's world tour sold for Rs. 10 crores
16 Mar, 2010 03:37 pm ISTlVICKEY LALWANI /MUMBAI MIRROR

AR Rahman continues to scale new heights. The music maestro has sold his three finale shows (Manchester on 23 July, Birmingham on 24 July, London on 25 July) of his forthcoming world tour to begin in June for a whopping Rs 10 crore (approximately). Vijay Galani, producer of the Salman Khan starrer Veer, has bought the three shows. The deal was finalised last week in Mumbai.

Galani refused to quote the price but confirmed that he has bought the three shows. ¡°Yes, I have purchased the finale shows of AR Rahman's concert and I am looking forward to the big occasion,¡± said Galani.

But didn't Galani suffer huge losses in Veer? Galani replied, ¡°Veer and AR Rahman concerts are two different things altogether. What has Veer got do with this?¡±

A close friend of Galani confirmed that the Veer producer has indeed bought the three shows to be held in Birmingham, Manchester and London for Rs 10 crore. Galani's friend said, ¡°Though in practice, the deal has been struck for Rs 10 crore, Rahman will bear the cost of lights, sound effects, editing and the maintenance of his big team throughout the shows.¡±

¡°AR Rahman has a big fan following wherever he goes. Galani will earn a lot through these shows. It's a very good business deal,¡± added Galani's friend.

Said Galani, ¡°Rahman simply rocks.¡±
[/tscii:05e09922d4]

ajaybaskar
19th March 2010, 01:41 PM
Lebara ad composed by ARR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cBY9IczSFo

Dinesh84
19th March 2010, 01:57 PM
:clap: :clap: :2thumbsup:

A.ANAND
19th March 2010, 04:46 PM
A.R Rahman was awarded the FICCI Global icon award at FICCI Frames 2010 today

:clap: :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump: :clap: :thumbsup: [/u]

'award vanggarathe intha manusanukku oru velai-ya pochu' !chey! :lol:

music man
19th March 2010, 11:27 PM
Wow..Wat a divine music in that Lebara Advt..But we should confirm it first..But it has that trademark ARR stamp all over it..

NOV
20th March 2010, 08:35 AM
[html:df7210ece2]
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs430.snc3/24781_109124722437690_100000204893479_234997_63681 56_n.jpg
[/html:df7210ece2]

ajaybaskar
20th March 2010, 09:49 AM
Wow..Wat a divine music in that Lebara Advt..But we should confirm it first..But it has that trademark ARR stamp all over it..

It is by ARR and the same has been confirmed by Naveen, flutist. Naveen has played the flute in this commercial. Great work and it sounds very international...

music man
20th March 2010, 06:49 PM

It is by ARR and the same has been confirmed by Naveen, flutist. Naveen has played the flute in this commercial. Great work and it sounds very international...

:cheer: :clap:

A.ANAND
21st March 2010, 10:17 PM
நேரம் போதவில்லை... புதுப்படம் எதுவும் ஒப்புக்கொள்ளவில்லை! - ஏஆர் ரஹ்மான்

உலகம் முழுக்க இசை நிகழ்ச்சி நடத்துவதற்காக அடுத்த 5 மாதங்கள் வெளிநாடுகளிலேயே தங்கியிருக்க முடிவு செய்துள்ளார் இசையமைப்பாளர் ஏ ஆர் ரஹ்மான்.

இதுகுறித்து அவர் கூறுகையில், "இந்த ஆண்டு எனக்கு மிக முக்கியமானது. உலகம் முழுக்க இசைக் கச்சேரி நடத்த ஒப்புக் கொண்டுள்ளேன்.

இதற்காக முதல்முறையாக வெளிநாடுகளிலேயே 5 மாதங்களைக் கழிக்க உள்ளேன். ஐரோப்பிய நாடுகள், தென் அமெரிக்கா மற்றும் ஆப்ரிக்க நாடுகளில் இசை நிகழ்ச்சிகள் நடத்துகிறேன்.

இவ்வளவு நீண்ட காலம் நான் வெளிநாட்டில் இருப்பது இதுவே முதல்முறை.

தமிழ்ப் படங்களுக்கு இப்போது இசையமைக்க போதிய நேரமில்லை. இப்போது எந்த புதுப்படமும் ஒப்புக் கொள்ளவில்லை. ஒன்றை முடிக்காமல் அடுத்ததை ஒப்புக் கொள்வது முட்டாள்தனமாகிவிடும். மணிரத்னத்தின் ராவண் முக்கியமான படம். அடுத்து சேகர் கபூர் படத்துக்கு இசையமைக்கிறேன்.

நேரத்தை நிர்வாகம் செய்வது உண்மையில் கடினமான பணிதான். இசைக்காக நேரம் ஒதுக்குவது போல, ஆன்மிகம், குடும்பத்துக்கும் அதிக நேரம் ஒதுக்க முயற்சிக்கறேன்.

எப்போதும் எனது குடும்பம் எப்போதும் என்னுடன் இருப்பதையே விரும்புகிறேன். இல்லையென்றால் வெளிநாட்டுக்கு சென்று வந்து பார்க்கும்போது குழந்தைகள் என்னை அங்கிள் என அழைக்கும் நிலை வரலாம். வாழ்க்கை நிரந்தரமானதில்லை என்பது எனக்கும் புரிகிறது.

இப்போது எனக்கு 43 வயதாகிறது. நானும் வயதானவன் ஆகிவிட்டேன். அதையும் நல்லதாகவே உணர்கிறேன்.

இப்போதெல்லாம் எதைச் செய்ய விரும்புகிறேனோ அதை மட்டும் செய்கிறேன். நாளை பற்றி யோசிப்பதில்லை. நல்லவற்றை நிறைவேற்றுவதிலேயே கவனம் செலுத்துகிறேன்..." என்றார்.

ajaybaskar
22nd March 2010, 06:18 PM
[tscii:a6a2984dd8]UNPLUGGED: A R RAHMAN

-Nine-year-old Dileep Kumar a.k.a A R Rahman slept late, played carrom and hated waking up at 7 a.m to practice at the piano!

-Asked to leave school due to lack of attendance, he quit studies at the age of 15.

-When Rahman’s sister fell seriously ill in 1988, Pir Qadri, who cured her, advised the family to convert to Islam and they did!

-Dileep had a choice of seven names during his conversion. He chose Allah Rakha Rahman.

-Call it a filmi coincidence, his name was Dileep Kumar before he converted to Islam and his wife’s name is Saira Bano!

-His nickname is Isai Puyal.

-Rahman is closest to his mother Kasturi who converted to Kareema Begum.

-A true believer, he offers namaaz five times a day.

-Is superstitious about starting work according to the prayer time in the place of worship close to his heart!

-The maestro loves eating rasam-rice. When busy, he eats lunch at 5 p.m and dinner after midnight!

-Rahman lives in a small two-storey bungalow in Kodambakkam.

-He has three kids Khatija (13), Rahima (10), and son Ameen (5).

-His mother spotted Saira at a dargah and sent a marriage proposal right away!

-Saira Banu is the sister-in-law of Tamil actor Rahman and the daughter of a Chennai-based businessman from Kutch.

-The musician's wife likes to “dress him up” for important occasions; he is mostly dressed in black.

-Rahman loves to shop for music records at the Virgin Records store in New York. Once he landed in NY at 2 a.m and dashed off to the store.

In Chennai, Rahman takes his family and friends to a Thai joint located behind The Park Sheraton.

-Rahman's long-time associate drummer Shivamani once cooked fish curry for him in London while he was working on Bombay Dreams. Rahman loved it. He's a non-veg but has suddenly stopped eating prawns.

-His Man Friday Swamidurai, fondly called Swami, has been with him since the begining of his career.

-As a bachelor, he used to often use the abbreviation LFA, which stood for ‘Love Failures Association’!

-Rahman usually sees his children off to school before he sleeps after working nights!

-He does not let his wife or children inside the studio when he’s working.

-Khatija doesn’t like her dad signing autographs in school and has asked him not to come there.

-Rahman’s son shares his birthday with him.

-The old keyboard that he used to play as a teenager is still displayed in his studio.

-A master with instruments, he likes dismantling parts and assembling them.

-A good mimic, he loves to imitate lyricist Vairamuthu, who in turn mimics Rahman’s style of walking!

-Rahman usually works in the night but he’s made an exception for SP Balasubramaniam whose songs have all been recorded before 10 pm.

-He likes listening to songs based on the raaga Sindhu Bhairavi.

-When Subhash Ghai once told Rahman during the music of Taal that he would once win an Oscar, Rahman laughed and reply that Indians can’t.

- Jai Ho was initially composed for Yuvvraaj! [/tscii:a6a2984dd8]

SoftSword
22nd March 2010, 06:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSOzN0eihsE

check at 2:30

music man
22nd March 2010, 07:47 PM
[tscii:140d0bf829]UNPLUGGED: A R RAHMAN

-Nine-year-old Dileep Kumar a.k.a A R Rahman slept late, played carrom and hated waking up at 7 a.m to practice at the piano!

-Asked to leave school due to lack of attendance, he quit studies at the age of 15.

-When Rahman’s sister fell seriously ill in 1988, Pir Qadri, who cured her, advised the family to convert to Islam and they did!

-Dileep had a choice of seven names during his conversion. He chose Allah Rakha Rahman.

-Call it a filmi coincidence, his name was Dileep Kumar before he converted to Islam and his wife’s name is Saira Bano!

-His nickname is Isai Puyal.

-Rahman is closest to his mother Kasturi who converted to Kareema Begum.

-A true believer, he offers namaaz five times a day.

-Is superstitious about starting work according to the prayer time in the place of worship close to his heart!

-The maestro loves eating rasam-rice. When busy, he eats lunch at 5 p.m and dinner after midnight!

-Rahman lives in a small two-storey bungalow in Kodambakkam.

-He has three kids Khatija (13), Rahima (10), and son Ameen (5).

-His mother spotted Saira at a dargah and sent a marriage proposal right away!

-Saira Banu is the sister-in-law of Tamil actor Rahman and the daughter of a Chennai-based businessman from Kutch.

-The musician's wife likes to “dress him up” for important occasions; he is mostly dressed in black.

-Rahman loves to shop for music records at the Virgin Records store in New York. Once he landed in NY at 2 a.m and dashed off to the store.

In Chennai, Rahman takes his family and friends to a Thai joint located behind The Park Sheraton.

-Rahman's long-time associate drummer Shivamani once cooked fish curry for him in London while he was working on Bombay Dreams. Rahman loved it. He's a non-veg but has suddenly stopped eating prawns.

-His Man Friday Swamidurai, fondly called Swami, has been with him since the begining of his career.

-As a bachelor, he used to often use the abbreviation LFA, which stood for ‘Love Failures Association’!

-Rahman usually sees his children off to school before he sleeps after working nights!

-He does not let his wife or children inside the studio when he’s working.

-Khatija doesn’t like her dad signing autographs in school and has asked him not to come there.

-Rahman’s son shares his birthday with him.

-The old keyboard that he used to play as a teenager is still displayed in his studio.

-A master with instruments, he likes dismantling parts and assembling them.

-A good mimic, he loves to imitate lyricist Vairamuthu, who in turn mimics Rahman’s style of walking!

-Rahman usually works in the night but he’s made an exception for SP Balasubramaniam whose songs have all been recorded before 10 pm.

-He likes listening to songs based on the raaga Sindhu Bhairavi.

-When Subhash Ghai once told Rahman during the music of Taal that he would once win an Oscar, Rahman laughed and reply that Indians can’t.

- Jai Ho was initially composed for Yuvvraaj! [/tscii:140d0bf829]

As a bachelor, he used to often use the abbreviation LFA, which stood for ‘Love Failures Association’!

Interesting................... :twisted: :P

A.ANAND
23rd March 2010, 04:08 PM
Dil Se.. - Music Launch Stills

http://liku-likant.blogspot.com/2010/03/dil-se-music-launch-stills.html

-ARRYG

A.ANAND
23rd March 2010, 04:20 PM
-A good mimic, he loves to imitate lyricist Vairamuthu, who in turn mimics Rahman style of walking!

:lol:

A.ANAND
25th March 2010, 09:43 AM
[tscii:cd9e965f01]Kathir is back!
IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, March 24, 2010]

It was making the rounds in film circles about ¡®Kadhal Desam¡¯ Kathir¡¯s next project. Join IndiaGlitz in finding out more.

The director of some of the best cult love stories in Tamil, Kathir, after heavy homework is starting a new project, that sources say will be a bi-lingual.

Kathir has zeroed in Telugu actor Varun Sandesh of ¡®Happy Days¡¯ fame. Varun is already half a dozen movies old in neighbouring Tollywood, and sources say that the director feels Varun has a pleasing lover boy image.

Sources further reveal that, a Telugu producer M.Sudhakar has come forward to produce the movie under Sri Maha Ganapathi Films banner and the shooting will start by August. Director Kathir is yet to decide on the other members of the cast and crew.

The movie will mark a new beginning for Kathir who has been in exile for sometime now and Varun Sandesh, who¡¯ll make his debut in Tamil. He is expecting a summer release, named ¡®Maro Charithra¡¯, a remake of the classic Kamal Hassan movie.

who is the md??

[/tscii:cd9e965f01]

A.ANAND
25th March 2010, 09:46 AM
[tscii:8c8b6eac95]Rahman teams up with Madonna's choreographer
PTI Share ¡¤ print ¡¤ T+ After honours at the Grammys and the Oscars, music maestro A.R. Rahman has teamed up with Madonna's choreographer for his upcoming concert.

¡®Jai Ho Concert: The Journey Home,' which kick-starts from New York on June 11, will cover over 20 cities worldwide.

Rahman, whose score in Slumdog Millionaire won international acclaim, has teamed up with choreographer-director Amy Tinkham, who has worked on live concerts for pop icons like Paul McCartney, Madonna and Britney Spears.

[/tscii:8c8b6eac95]

k_vanan
25th March 2010, 11:04 AM
[tscii:13b69f38cb]Kathir is back!
IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, March 24, 2010]

It was making the rounds in film circles about ¡®Kadhal Desam¡¯ Kathir¡¯s next project. Join IndiaGlitz in finding out more.

The director of some of the best cult love stories in Tamil, Kathir, after heavy homework is starting a new project, that sources say will be a bi-lingual.

Kathir has zeroed in Telugu actor Varun Sandesh of ¡®Happy Days¡¯ fame. Varun is already half a dozen movies old in neighbouring Tollywood, and sources say that the director feels Varun has a pleasing lover boy image.

Sources further reveal that, a Telugu producer M.Sudhakar has come forward to produce the movie under Sri Maha Ganapathi Films banner and the shooting will start by August. Director Kathir is yet to decide on the other members of the cast and crew.

The movie will mark a new beginning for Kathir who has been in exile for sometime now and Varun Sandesh, who¡¯ll make his debut in Tamil. He is expecting a summer release, named ¡®Maro Charithra¡¯, a remake of the classic Kamal Hassan movie.

who is the md??

[/tscii:13b69f38cb]

Confirmed ARR 8-)

http://sify.com/movies/telugu/fullstory.php?id=14936302

A.ANAND
25th March 2010, 07:02 PM
[tscii:c584c91ed2]SHRUTI HAASAN AT THE MUSIC NIGHT

March 24, 2010

Home > More news

This time around, Vijay TV has come up with the different music show. Close-up Kadhal Unplugged, which is a music night, is sure to be a treat for all the music lovers that have a special place in their heart for love songs.

Shruti Haasan will croon some of the old and new love songs along with Neha Bhasin, Sunita Sarathy, Blaaze, Haricharan and Vijay Prakash.

According to a press release from Vijay TV, ¡°Kadhal Unplugged event would emphasize on the musical presentation of the songs. An exuberant display of light and sound; the stage would be beautifully decked up on the lines of the theme with LIVE musical troupe as accompaniment. The songs would be instrumentally rearranged and tweaked to give a whole new dimension. All the singers would come together at the finale where they all celebrate the love journey together by paying tribute to the Oscar Winner A.R. Rahman, performing some exceptional songs created by him.

[/tscii:c584c91ed2]

ajaybaskar
25th March 2010, 07:51 PM
Why ARR is doing the mistake of working with Kathir again? Music will certainly be top notch but the film will be a turkey. It won't even get released downsouth.

A.ANAND
26th March 2010, 06:33 PM
A Salute to A.R.Rahman

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOICH/2010/03/26&PageLabel=25&ForceGif=true&EntityId=Ad02507&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

A.ANAND
26th March 2010, 06:37 PM
Why ARR is doing the mistake of working with Kathir again? Music will certainly be top notch but the film will be a turkey. It won't even get released downsouth.

Agree !album nichayam superhit but movie?? :roll: VTV-la kedaicha hit-ta kadir movie-la vitura poraru thalaivar! :( ithala srikanth vera hero-va? :cry2:

A.ANAND
27th March 2010, 01:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PL00SCVBZE

music man
27th March 2010, 01:24 PM

Anand Sir!!!! Thanks for sharing.....

ajaybaskar
27th March 2010, 03:53 PM
Rahman's interview in 'Pudhiya Thalaimurai'

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wowzs3.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2eq71pu.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/211jjt.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/i36suf.jpg

A.ANAND
27th March 2010, 05:35 PM
Rahman's interview in 'Pudhiya Thalaimurai'

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wowzs3.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2eq71pu.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/211jjt.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/i36suf.jpg

thank u boss! :ty:

A.ANAND
27th March 2010, 05:49 PM
ஜூனில் வெளியாகும் ராவணன்!

மணிரத்னம் இயக்கும் ராவணன் படம் குறித்து இதுவரை வதந்திகள் மற்றும் புகார் களாகவே செய்திகள் வந்து கொண்டிருந்தன. ஆனால் முதல்முறையாக ஒரு அதிகாரப்பூர்வ செய்தியை வெளியிட்டுள்ளார் மணிரத்னத்தின் மீடியா மேனேஜர் நிகில்.

படம் கிட்டத்தட்ட முடிவடைந்து விட்டதாகவும் வருகிறத ஏப்ரல் மாதம் படத்தின் ஆடியோ வெளியாகும் என்றும் அவர் கூறியுள்ளார்.

ரஹ்மான் இசையில் அனைத்துப் பாடல்களும் அழகாக வந்துள்ளதாகத் தெரிவித்துள்ள அவர், வரும் ஜூன் மாதம் ராவணன் இந்தியா முழுக்க தமிழ், தெலுங்கு, இந்தி ஆகிய 3 மொழிகள் நேரடியாக வெளியாகிறது என்றார். தமிழிலும் இந்தப் படத்துக்கு ராவணன் என்றே பெயரிடப்பட்டுள்ளது. முதலில் அசோகவனம் என்ற தலைப்பை மணிரத்னம் தேர்வு செய்திருந்ததாகக் கூறப்பட்டது.

ஐஸ்வர்யா ராய் பச்சன், அபிஷேக் பச்சன், விக்ரம், கார்த்திக், ப்ரியாமணி என பெரும் நட்சத்திரப் பட்டாளமே நடித்துள்ள இந்தப் படம் பல்வேறு பிரச்சினைகளைச் சந்தித்தது.

ஒருவழியாக இப்போதுதான் ரிலீஸ் கட்டத்தை நெருங்கியிருக்கிறது.

A.ANAND
27th March 2010, 06:21 PM
thalaivar kiss in FICCI -FRAMES AWARDS 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IN&v=U3ZF79wBAU8

SEE 3.50 :lol:

A.ANAND
27th March 2010, 06:30 PM
A.R.Rahman Releases Nayakan(Malayalam) Audio. Music : Prashant Pillai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwFlhxoHpGs&feature=related

A.ANAND
27th March 2010, 06:34 PM
Shrea Ghoshal sings Munbe Vaa by AR Rahman in Cupertino DeAnza Flint Center

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvtakcyfjo&feature=related

A.ANAND
27th March 2010, 06:47 PM
56th National Film Awards - Azeemo Shaan Shahenshah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMFq023IUF8&feature=related

Scale
28th March 2010, 12:35 AM

Anand Sir!!!! Thanks for sharing.....

A very lively, spine-tingling performance! Perfect sync, have blasted the house. Great, ARR's "Spirit of Rangeela" is still blossoming forth.

Oscarji & Team :happydance:

K2AL
28th March 2010, 01:12 AM
Lift Kara De KJ with ARR

http://www.apnatvforum.com/Forum/showthread.php?&t=69244

A.ANAND
28th March 2010, 12:00 PM
Slumdog Millionaire composer A R Rahman Interview - Alchemy Festival, Southbank Centre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9kWYq-R4k

raghavendran
28th March 2010, 12:19 PM
here's a nostalgic ride...dilse's music launch videos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex7v7pRlPuA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2LglKsr70

Ramakrishna
28th March 2010, 01:44 PM
audio clear-a illa

A.ANAND
28th March 2010, 04:10 PM
[tscii:3b683e908d]A R Rahman to be honored by DTS

March 27, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): AR Rahman will be felicitated by the Delhi Tamil Sangam (DTS) on March 31. The Academy Award winner will be honored along with Prathap Chandra Reddy, the Chairman of Apollo Group, D R Karthikeyan ¨C former CBI Director and J R Krishnamurthy, the renowned Siddha doctor.

The Editor of Dinamani K Vaidhyanathan, Secretary of the Delhi Tamil Sangam Sakthi Perumal and Patron Nalli Kuppuswamy Chetti will be felicitating the awardees.

[/tscii:3b683e908d]

raghavendran
29th March 2010, 11:44 AM
[tscii:f6e3df8b4b]A R Rahman to be honored by DTS

March 27, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): AR Rahman will be felicitated by the Delhi Tamil Sangam (DTS) on March 31. The Academy Award winner will be honored along with Prathap Chandra Reddy, the Chairman of Apollo Group, D R Karthikeyan ¨C former CBI Director and J R Krishnamurthy, the renowned Siddha doctor.

The Editor of Dinamani K Vaidhyanathan, Secretary of the Delhi Tamil Sangam Sakthi Perumal and Patron Nalli Kuppuswamy Chetti will be felicitating the awardees.

[/tscii:f6e3df8b4b]
மாலைகல் மரியாதைகல்....சிரப்பு

Benny Lava
29th March 2010, 01:30 PM
Slumdog Millionaire composer A R Rahman Interview - Alchemy Festival, Southbank Centre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9kWYq-R4k

This google transcribe thing is funny :lol:

http://tinypic.com/r/sgicrr/5

ajaybaskar
29th March 2010, 03:28 PM

:banghead: :D

A.ANAND
29th March 2010, 04:31 PM
AR Rahman's birthday celebration by his fans and other Celebs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZWatGvz5eM

raghavendran
29th March 2010, 06:04 PM
AR Rahman's birthday celebration by his fans and other Celebs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZWatGvz5eM 8-) :clap:

A.ANAND
29th March 2010, 06:52 PM

:banghead: :D

:lol:

A.ANAND
30th March 2010, 11:11 AM
[tscii:94a2005bb4]A SALUTE TO A R RAHMAN¡± on 4th April 2010 at Kamaraj Arangam, Chennai from 6 pm

◦Live in Concert by Mouna Ragam Murali & his Orchestra
◦Chennai¡¯s best playback singers like Sriram, Prasanna, Archana, Murali, Airtel Super Singer Prasanna, Velmurugan, Vaishali, Karthik & musicians contribute to A R Rahman
◦Concert will feature all of A R Rahman¡¯s songs from Roja to Jai Ho
◦Classical dance performance by children from Bharatha Nrithya Mandali Dance School
◦Special Song performance by celebrity guest of the event ¨C Ms.Raihanah, Music Director, Singer & RJ.
◦Dance performance by Raack Academy School of Dance from Chennai
◦Drums by celebrity drummer Mr.Siddharth from Hyderabad

Events supported by Le Royal Meridian, Sri Krishna Sweets, Advent Designs Pvt Ltd, Venfield, Club Mahindra, Mouna Ragam, DSN Estates, Reach Mobiles, Cane City, Abirami Mega Mall, Aruvee, Chemmanur Jewellers, Aaha FM, Jaya TV, Rahman 360

http://newz360.com/ar/[/tscii:94a2005bb4]

A.ANAND
30th March 2010, 11:16 AM
A.R.Rahman Library
& Gallery on youtube & www.rahman360.Dear All Rahmaniac,

by.santosh pandey -arryg

since my childhood i have been addicted to music and also have heard variety of it but since when i came across with Sir A R Rahman Great Music my life changed completely.
I have collected infinite articles and pictures of RahmanSir, and also got an hobby of collecting articles on different topics beside music like science, history, general knowledge, etc. I always had a dream and an ambition to create something different I my life which can become an excellent source to distribute knowledge to people.
And so I finally got an opportunity to make my dream come true, by setting up a A R Rahman Library and Gallery in the prime location of Vasai(East)at Rashmi Residency by Mr. Yogesh Bosmiya.Director of Ghar Ho To Aisa .
With all my hard work and efforts I made this A R Rahman Library and Gallery Very interesting source of education for the people who have also been started coming from different location except Vasai(East).
The unique part of A R Rahman Library & Gallery is RahmanSir article which I had set at the entrance of Gallery, because I feel that the man which made me realize and make my dream come true should also enlight others in a similar way.
A R Rahman Library & Gallery Made for Humantiy,Peace & Love in this World & Belong to All Rahmaniac , I will be really happy if RahmanSir & All Rahmanic give is precious time and make a visit to Our A R Rahman Library & Gallery .
This will really and completely make my dream come true completely.
Thanks & Regrads,
A R Rahman Library & Gallery ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZqgCWG8O8&feature=email

eppa koyil katta porangga innu theriyala?? :lol:

MADDY
30th March 2010, 11:47 AM
A.R.Rahman Library
& Gallery on youtube & www.rahman360.Dear All Rahmaniac,

by.santosh pandey -arryg

since my childhood i have been addicted to music and also have heard variety of it but since when i came across with Sir A R Rahman Great Music my life changed completely.
I have collected infinite articles and pictures of RahmanSir, and also got an hobby of collecting articles on different topics beside music like science, history, general knowledge, etc. I always had a dream and an ambition to create something different I my life which can become an excellent source to distribute knowledge to people.
And so I finally got an opportunity to make my dream come true, by setting up a A R Rahman Library and Gallery in the prime location of Vasai(East)at Rashmi Residency by Mr. Yogesh Bosmiya.Director of Ghar Ho To Aisa .
With all my hard work and efforts I made this A R Rahman Library and Gallery Very interesting source of education for the people who have also been started coming from different location except Vasai(East).
The unique part of A R Rahman Library & Gallery is RahmanSir article which I had set at the entrance of Gallery, because I feel that the man which made me realize and make my dream come true should also enlight others in a similar way.
A R Rahman Library & Gallery Made for Humantiy,Peace & Love in this World & Belong to All Rahmaniac , I will be really happy if RahmanSir & All Rahmanic give is precious time and make a visit to Our A R Rahman Library & Gallery .
This will really and completely make my dream come true completely.
Thanks & Regrads,
A R Rahman Library & Gallery ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZqgCWG8O8&feature=email

mumbai kandippa poganum pola :bow: .......vera endha MDs-kkum indha madhiri maanilam/kadal/mozhi/kalachaara verubaadugal thaandi aaakkpoorvamana rasigargal irukka maattanga

A.ANAND
30th March 2010, 11:55 AM
mumbai kandippa poganum pola .......vera endha MDs-kkum indha madhiri maanilam/kadal/mozhi/kalachaara verubaadugal thaandi aaakkpoorvamana rasigargal irukka maattanga

:yes: :exactly: :D aanantha kannir-than varuthu! :clap: naamathan arr mela paithiyama aalaija naamakku mela irukangga! :lol:

MADDY
30th March 2010, 12:09 PM
mumbai kandippa poganum pola .......vera endha MDs-kkum indha madhiri maanilam/kadal/mozhi/kalachaara verubaadugal thaandi aaakkpoorvamana rasigargal irukka maattanga

:yes: :exactly: :D aanantha kannir-than varuthu! :clap: naamathan arr mela paithiyama aalaija naamakku mela irukangga! :lol:

i mean for a maharashtrian, who is totally alien to our culture of fanatism, building a library for thalaivar is great.......there is so much of nakkal/nayyandi between north and south India but this man constantly breaks barriers and bridges the gap.........

we can talk pages abt arrogance, humility etc but this man and his fans keep pushing the envelope of affection and humanity......

A.ANAND
30th March 2010, 12:14 PM
Stephen Devassy's Perfomance in A.R.Rahman Concert-Sydney(Jan-2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eYBkAhC8I&feature=related

[PART-7] JAI HO : SYDNEY CONCERT 2010 : YE HASEEN VADIYAN : SWETHA PANDIT, HARIHARAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKXr8-9ccNw&feature=related

raghavendran
30th March 2010, 04:56 PM

8-) :D

A.ANAND
1st April 2010, 07:48 AM
[tscii:d9a0660397]Rahman: I’m happy and deeply honoured

http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/music/article347166.ece

http://www.newsonair.com/news.asp?cat=national&id=NN3553

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/And-the-Padmas-are-presented-to---/598553[/tscii:d9a0660397]

A.ANAND
1st April 2010, 07:52 AM
[tscii:97183d6ed6]Jai Ho in Tamil next year, says Mozart of Madras

NEW DELHI: “I will compose ‘Jai Ho’ in Tamil, next year,” said Academy Award winner A R Rahman at a felicitation for Padma awardees from Tamil Nadu here on Wednesday. The function was jointly organised by Tamil daily Dinamani and the Delhi Tamil Sangam.

The music maestro added that the idea of composing the song in Tamil struck him when he heard children sing the song in Hindi during the function.

Apart from Rahman, Nobel prize winner Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Apollo Hospitals Chairman Dr Prathap C Reddy, former CBI director D R Karthikeyan and Siddha expert J R Krishnamurthy were felicitated.

Venkatraman Ramakrishnan said appreciation will automatically come when a person pursues what he wants without worrying about monetary benefits.

“I am not as popular as Rahman but I had an objective and I followed it. This recognition sends out a positive message to the people of Tamil Nadu that dedicated work can receive recognition,” said Venkatraman.

D R Karthikeyan said many from Tamil Nadu have appeared for the civil services exams and are in Central Government jobs. He pointed out that Tamilians are again getting world recognition. “All the awardees here hail from middle class families and worked hard to reach this status,” he said.

J R Krishnamurthy, who received the award for discovering a Siddha medicine for psoriasis, a skin disease, called for the setting up of more Siddha clinics across the country.

Dinamani editor K Vaidyanathan asked Tamilians to vow to speak in Tamil in their homes, no matter where they live. “The awardees here have not just upheld the pride of Tamil Nadu across the country but throughout the world. Felicitating them is like felicitating Tamilians ourselves,” he said.

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Jai+Ho+in+Tamil+next+year,+says+M ozart+of+Madras&artid=Sp0a7lDgobA=&SectionID=b7ziAYMenjw=&MainSectionID=b7ziAYMenjw=&SEO=Delhi+Tamil+Sangam&SectionName=pWehHe7IsSU=[/tscii:97183d6ed6]

A.ANAND
1st April 2010, 07:56 AM
felicitation for A.R.RAHMAN BY TAMILSANGAM IN DEHLI

http://www.dinamani.com/edition/galleryview.aspx?galleryid=GC1QKv5kZt4=&keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=550&width=590

A.ANAND
1st April 2010, 02:55 PM
Video of ARR receiving the Padma Bhushan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2LIYw7WbKc&feature=player_embedded#

raghavendran
2nd April 2010, 11:12 AM

ANAND.....full flowle irukkeenge....way to go... :)

A.ANAND
2nd April 2010, 12:05 PM
[tscii:fa12a085d0]A new level of recognition, legitimacy: Rahman

London: ‘I often meet couples who got married with my music,” says A.R. Rahman. “Or young actresses, who tell me that when they were girls, their mothers would put them to bed by playing my music.”

Rahman is a huge star in India. Huge. His work on scoring more than 100 movies has produced sales of more than 100 million records and over 200 million cassettes, making him the only Asian in the list of the world's top 25 bestselling recording artists.

Time magazine, who dubbed him “the Mozart of Madras,” placed him in its list of the world's 100 most influential people last year. He's won numerous awards, both in India and further afield, but it was last year's Oscar win, for his work on Slumdog Millionaire, that really changed things.

“Everyone dreams of winning an Oscar,” he says. “It gave my work a new level of recognition and legitimacy.” Rahman's gongs, for best song and best score, made him only the third Indian to win an Academy award. The success of Slumdog Millionaire brought other advantages — “I had the chance to meet some of my great heroes,” says Rahman. “I got to meet Barbra Streisand and work with Celine Dion, and I was the first Indian to perform at the Hollywood Bowl.”

Today, we're a long way from Los Angeles, in his north London base, a house near Hampstead Heath. Rahman has been visiting and working in the United Kingdom for the last 15 years, and later this month will attend London's Southbank Centre's Alchemy Festival (“exploring the culture of India, its diaspora and its relationship to the U.K. today”), at which the London Philharmonic Orchestra will perform some of his best-known works — from his Oscar-winning soundtrack of course, but also from the likes of Elizabeth: the Golden Age, the hit musical Bollywood Dreams, and some of his landmark Hindi films such as Lagaan and Jaane Tu ... Ya Jaane Na.

Rahman may have only achieved global fame recently, but he has been making music for most of his life. “I started playing music at the age of five,” Rahman says, “the piano and harmonium, and after my father died when I was nine my mother was determined that I was going to also be a musician.” Rahman's great innovation for Indian movies was to introduce orchestral melodies to the traditional Hindi film soundtrack's fondness for violent, slashing violins and dramatic tablas. This earned him comparisons to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Paul McCartney.

“In India, we love melodies in the background of scenes,” he says, “but in the West, there is a sense that soundtracks should not distract so there is a greater preference for more ambient sounds and plain chords.”

And, Rahman says, an international composer cannot make music that is purely national in quality — something he is bearing in mind for his forthcoming London concert. “This will be the first time I am playing in London since winning the Oscar,” he says, “so it is important to play music that will be accepted by an international audience but which retains an essential Indian quality.”

Despite his fame, Rahman stresses the virtues of humility, which he attributes to his conversion to Islam at the age of 23 (at which point he changed his name from Dileep Kumar to Allah Rakha Rahman). “What appealed to me about Islam was that this is a religion based on unconditional love and a belief in one god and one love,” he says.

Next week's concert is part of a mission, an effort to use music to unite. “At one of my concerts you will see people of all colours and religions together. That is what music can do. A song is more powerful than a thousand rallies.” — © Guardian Newspapers Limited, 2010

http://www.thehindu.com/2010/04/02/stories/2010040262521400.htm

[/tscii:fa12a085d0]

A.ANAND
2nd April 2010, 12:06 PM

thalaivarukaga ethayum seiven! :notworthy:

A.ANAND
2nd April 2010, 04:04 PM

thalaivarukaga :notworthy:

Sanjeevi
3rd April 2010, 11:34 AM
Shaji now attacks ARR after IR

http://panimulai.blogspot.com/2010/04/blog-post_327.html

ajaybaskar
3rd April 2010, 11:37 AM
Enna sollirukkaar? Can't view Tamil fonts in my mobile..

raghavendran
3rd April 2010, 11:40 AM

thalaivarukaga ethayum seiven! :notworthy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

Sanjeevi
3rd April 2010, 11:49 AM

it seems he has said "ARR is bad in BGM department and SM song does not fit for an Oscar award"

ajaybaskar
3rd April 2010, 11:52 AM
:-)

sathya_1979
3rd April 2010, 01:57 PM
Shaji is a new kinda neutral - ARR, IR rendu perayum thitti pEru vaanga try pannum vetti koottam! Enakku onnudhaan pureela. Ivlo pesaravanga edhukku pesittu mattum irukkaanga? Avanga oru padathukku meesic pOttu Oscar, Golden Globe rangekku vEnaam atleast oru local ward levellayaavadhu edhaavadhu award vaanga vendiyadhudhaane! Sari, award oru kalaignanin thiramaiyai madhippedu seivadhu illai endraal, at least oru padaththayaavadhu 100 naaL Oda vaikkalaame?

raghavendran
5th April 2010, 08:57 AM

it seems he has said "ARR is bad in BGM department and SM song does not fit for an Oscar award"
vandhutaaruya....hub rules kaage pakkuren illenna..... :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Appu s
5th April 2010, 05:54 PM
[tscii:48b4fd7377]The other day when I was travelling, A.R. Rahman was my co-passenger. Once I realised he would be sitting beside me, I switched off my iPod. He was in a chatty mood so I decided to strike up a conversation and asked him, why does he sing only one song in every film that he composes the music for? For a moment I thought the man was going to snap, but he politely replied, “Because I do not want people to ask me why I sing all the songs!” (No, that was not a dig at Himmesh Reshammiya, was it?) Rahman also confessed that he loved working at night because that is when he gets inspired to be at his creative best. He also told me that though his kids are learning to sing, he isn’t sure whether they will follow in his footsteps later on. Maybe they secretly want to be actors.

I must tell you I never thought he would be so interesting to chat with. I can’t spill all the beans about our conversation cos he will label me a snoop. I can’t risk that cos he invited me to the IPL closing ceremony where he will be performing with international artistes.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tabloids/only-one-167[/tscii:48b4fd7377]

shocker
5th April 2010, 06:54 PM
Wow, what a story. Lucky guy.

baba88
5th April 2010, 10:56 PM
Gautham Menon said in a interview that he will never work with Harris Jeyaraj again. So in future it's only ARR or some other MDs for Gautham movies.

suntharp
6th April 2010, 07:17 AM
ndtv hindu - hands up interview...

A.ANAND
6th April 2010, 01:42 PM
[tscii:76c022fd2e]The music never stops in this AR Rahman library in Mumbai

Humaira Ansari / DNAMonday, April 5, 2010

Mumbai: The Mozart of Madras now has a home in Mumbai, and you can visit it whenever you wish. Apart from being a place to delve into the life and works of India’s best-known music composer, AR Rahman, the 3,000 sq-ft space in Vasai also doubles as a resource centre for underprivileged students to mirror the legendary musician’s altruistic side.

The AR Rahman Library and Gallery houses a life-size painting of Rahman in Bollywood-poster style, three albums of the Oscar winning composer’s pictures, a large repository of newspaper and magazine articles, an audio-cassette collection, and about 20 frames capturing Rahman in various moods.

Six months old, the library has been created by Santosh Kumar Pandey, 28, a Vasai resident and an ardent Rahman fan. In fact, such is his adoration for his guru, that Pandey has also embraced Islam, “just like Rahman sir”.

Located in a flat in Rashi Residency housing society in Vasai (East), the space has been donated by Yogesh Bosmiya, who is the director of the society. Bosmiya agreed to Pandey’s request of creating the library after being impressed by the latter’s years-long dedication to the subject.

The Vasai youth’s admiration for Rahman began with the 1994 film Roja’s soundtrack. “I was blown away by the music. It was so divine and soulful, it touched my heart,” said a mesmerised Pandey, dressed in a white kurta, attar-soaked cotton tucked in his ears, and his surma-lined eyes gleaming at the mention of the name of his guru.

In the 16 years since, Pandey has kept track of everything Rahman. “I used to segregate clippings and articles on various topics at night, and would then cut and stock them categorically the next day,” Pandey said.

Apart from the musician’s compositions, what brought Pandey closer to Rahman was his simplicity and humility, and his discreet efforts to reach out to the society’s underprivileged. “The AR Rahman Foundation in Chennai raises funds for disaster relief and for the education of poor children, but without much hullabaloo,” Pandey said, adding that he too wants to contribute to the society like his guru.

That is why, besides music, the library has a modest collection of articles, pictures and books on subjects ranging from science, history, sports to commerce and computers for students with insufficient means. The reading room draws students from Vasai, Nallasopara and other adjoining areas. “Many school students also come for assignments and project work,” said the self-confessed ‘Rahmaniac’.

Though he has not met the composer in person, Pandey claims Rahman has replied to his messages posted on the latter’s website. “He thanked me when I told him about the library, and when I wished him Eid Mubarak, he said, ‘thanks Santosh Kumar Pandey’. I am glad that among millions of fans he at least knows me by name,” an excited Pandey said, adding, “I would be lying if I say I don’t want to meet him. But I prefer being a fan who makes his guru proud.”

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_the-music-never-stops-in-this-ar-rahman-library-in-mumbai_1367434[/tscii:76c022fd2e]

baba88
6th April 2010, 03:34 PM
[tscii:09356152a8]In India, Rahman is currently working on the theme song for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. “[Filmmaker] Bharat Bala and I want it to be something which has never been attempted before,” he says.
He is also giving the finishing touches to Mani Ratnam’s Raavan, Shekhar Kapur’s Paani, Shankar’s Robot (Enthiran).
In the US, Rahman is producing a song for Nicole Scherzinger, after the success of the Jai Ho version sung by her band, the Pussycat Dolls. Also, international studios such as Universal have been approaching Rahman to spot talent and produce albums for them. “I am also talking to film production companies for doing background scores,” he says.[/tscii:09356152a8]

baba88
6th April 2010, 05:15 PM
Just a small notice. Listening to GV Prakash's Madraspattinam songs right now. The first song "Pookal Pookum" song reminds me of ARR's Anarkali from Kangalal Kaidhu Sei. Just give it a try, I think you all will like it.

Yathu
7th April 2010, 04:44 AM
[tscii:50c0475a10]Around the world with A R Rahman
Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman juggles the classical orchestra with the tablas of Bollywood. But, as he tells Sarfraz Manzoor, the Indian essence will always be key

'I often meet couples who got married with my music," says AR Rahman. "Or young actresses who tell me that when they were girls, their mothers would put them to bed by playing my music." Rahman is a huge star in his native India. Huge. His work on scoring more than 100 movies has produced sales of more than 100m records and over 200m cassettes, making him the only Asian in the list of the world's top 25 bestselling recording artists. Time magazine, who dubbed him "the Mozart of Madras", placed him in its list of the world's 100 most influential people last year. He's won numerous awards, both in India and further afield, but it was last year's Oscar win, for his work on Slumdog Millionaire, that really changed things.

"Everyone dreams of winning an Oscar," he says. "It gave my work a new level of recognition and legitimacy." Rahman's gongs, for best song and best score, made him only the third Indian to win an Academy award. The success of Slumdog Millionare brought other advantages – "I had the chance to meet some of my great heroes," says Rahman. "I got to meet Barbra Streisand and work with Celine Dion, and I was the first Indian to perform at the Hollywood Bowl."

Today we're a long way from Los Angeles, in his north London base, a house near Hampstead Heath. Rahman has been visiting and working in the UK for the last 15 years, and later this month will attend the Southbank Centre's Alchemy Festival ("exploring the culture of India, its diaspora and its relationship to the UK today"), at which the London Philharmonic Orchestra will perform some of his best-known works – from his Oscar-winning soundtrack of course, but also from the likes of Elizabeth: the Golden Age, the hit musical Bollywood Dreams, and some of his landmark Indian films, such as Lagaan and Jaane Tu … Ya Jaane Na.

Rahman may have only achieved global fame recently, but he has been making music for most of his life. He was born to a Hindu-Tamil family, in which his father was a composer, arranger and conductor for Malayalam movies – those made in the Indian state of Kerala, in the Malayalam language, which are considered more serious and realistic than Bollywood films.

"I started playing music at the age of five," he says, "the piano and harmonium, and after my father died when I was nine my mother was determined that I was going to also be a musician." How did he feel about his mother's ambition? "It wasn't as plain to me that I would be a musician," he says, laughing, "but I also knew that I had a talent for it."

Rahman recalls listening to western music such as Jim Reeves and the Carpenters alongside the work of Indian film composers including Naushad Ali, Madan Mohan and Roshan (who wrote in Hindi), and Tamil composers such as Vishwanatiian Ramamurthy and KV Mahadevan. He formed a rock band in his teens and went on to study western classical music in London at Trinity College of Music before beginning his musical career back in India writing advertising jingles. His breakthrough came when he scored the 1992 Tamil movie Roja. It was a hit, and Rahman's soundtrack led to him winning the Indian national award for best music composer.

Rahman's great innovation for Indian movies was to introduce orchestral melodies to the traditional Bollywood soundtrack's fondness for violent, slashing violins and dramatic tablas. This earned him comparisons to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Paul McCartney. "In India we love melodies in the background of scenes," he says, "but in the west there is a sense that soundtracks should not distract so there is a greater preference for more ambient sounds and plain chords."

Indian cinema was once the preserve of a largely south Asian audience. Rahman has been fortunate to work in an age in which Indian films have become more global affairs. Not only are they now seen around the world, they are also made around the world. Bollywood films are now routinely shot in the US and Europe, and western stars – including Snoop Dogg, Akon and Kylie Minogue – have put in appearances. The songs, once so quintessentially Indian, now sometimes sound almost indistinguishable from western pop and dance music.

The Indian films I watched as a young boy featured the songs of such immortals as Lata, Mohammed Rafi and Kishore Kumar and they could never be mistaken for anything other than Indian music – that was their appeal and it gave those of us who listened to them a proprietorial pride that this was "our music". Is there not a danger now that the success of Indian cinema has come at the price of losing its essence? "When something is new it is overdone," he says. "When stereophonic sound first came out, people would pan the sound all the time from one speaker to the other but then it settled down to what was necessary for the song. So right now you get Indian films shooting in Europe and America but eventually it will all settle down again."

And, Rahman says, an international composer cannot make music that is purely national in quality – something he is bearing in mind for his forthcoming London concert. "This will be the first time I am playing in London since winning the Oscar," he says, "so it is important to play music that will be accepted by an international audience but which retains an essential Indian quality."

Despite his fame, Rahman stresses the virtues of humility, which he attributes to his conversion to Islam at the age of 23 (at which point he changed his name from Dileep Kumar to Allah Rakha Rahman). "What appealed to me about Islam was that this is a religion based on unconditional love and a belief in one god and one love," he says, "and I was especially drawn to Sufism which has a rich musical tradition. I never skip prayers. I find it releases me from tension and gives me hope and confidence that Allah is with me, that this is not the only world."

It his faith, he says, that leads him to feel a duty to use his music to spread what he believes is the true message of Islam. What does he say to the Muslims who say that Islam forbids music? "In that case why is the azan [the call to prayer] in tune?" he asks. "Why is it musical? Islam has been hijacked by the extremists and what drives me in my own work is to create music that will bring people together." Next week's concert is part of this mission, an effort to use music to unite. "At one of my concerts you will see people of all colours and religions together. That is what music can do. A song is more powerful than a thousand rallies."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/01/ar-rahman-slumdog-millionaire

[/tscii:50c0475a10]

A.ANAND
7th April 2010, 07:24 PM
He's Calling the Tunes in Style - The Big Interview AR Rahman-Today's Metro UK newspaper

http://e-edition.metro.co.uk/2010/04/07/

#u must enter yor emailadress to read this interview-see at page 30-31

-arryg

A.ANAND
7th April 2010, 07:29 PM
[tscii:309c2af1f2]AR Rahman: 'Slumdog Millionaire was a starting point for my work'

The Indian composer and songwriter AR Rahman talks about his varied career including Slumdog Millionaire and his show at the Alchemy Festival.

How many films have I written music for?’ Award-winning Indian music maestro AR Rahman is making a rough estimate. ‘Probably 500, 600…’ He reels off the numbers quite casually, without arrogance. Rahman’s exceptionally catchy soundtracks tend to be epic, emotive affairs, typically set to lyrics about love, longing and destiny in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu or English; in contrast, the man himself is softly spoken and almost self-effacing. Here in Britain, the best known of that multitude of films is Slumdog Millionaire, which won Rahman two Oscars (Best Song and Best Score) in 2009 and included chart-topping spin-off single Jai Ho with US pop troupe the Pussycat Dolls.

‘I’ve always liked to hear how two elements collide – that’s why I enjoyed working with the British director Danny Boyle so much,’ he explains. ‘Although it feels like Slumdog Millionaire was a starting point for my work with American audiences, the big step for me in Europe was really Bombay Dreams.

‘Working on stage musicals like that and The Lord Of The Rings [an ambitious, £12million ‘mega-musical’ which only ran for a year in London] really opened my mind. Before, I was always a studio person but the theatre gave me greater visions. I used to have more of an “employee” attitude to writing soundtracks. Now I feel like I’ve got the creative approach of a director.’

When it premiered in 2002, the West End-meets-Bollywood extravaganza of Bombay Dreams did break mainstream ground in lavish style, with a sweeping live score by Rahman and Don Black, and set pieces including a ‘wet sari’ dance sequence. The show was produced by Andrew Lloyd Webber, who tells Metro with glowing bombast: ‘I had the great privilege of introducing this brilliant melodist to a new audience; I am delighted AR Rahman is now recognised as one of the finest popular composers in the world.’

Rahman easily elicits such plaudits (other high-profile fans range from Baz Luhrmann to the late Michael Jackson, with whom Rahman recorded an as-yet-unreleased charity track) but, for Western listeners, the real challenge is arguably reining in his vast catalogue. While Rahman comes from musical stock (his father was Tamil film composer RK Shekhar) and shares the pop sensibility of classic Bollywood musicians such as RD Burman, there is no obvious modern parallel for this classically trained artist whose influences include folk, prog rock, funk and big hit hooks. Tonight will offer a rare live showcase, as Rahman presents a concert with the London Philharmonic Orchestra as part of the Southbank Centre’s Alchemy festival of Indian arts and culture.

‘It’s not the first concert I’ve given in Britain but it’s going to focus more on my classical repertoire and all the movie themes, with a 100-piece orchestra, a choir and guest soloists from India on sitar and flute. We won’t be playing Jai Ho,’ he laughs, before suddenly sounding earnest again. ‘It’s such a joy to do this because we don’t have a fully fledged symphony orchestra in India. That’s actually what we’re trying to create – I’ve started a school of classical music in Chennai [Rahman’s birthplace]. I bring all the worldwide experience that I’ve learned back to India because that’s where all the love and support for my music started.’

Rahman’s music really does have a global fanbase – Indian cinema and its soundtracks proved an established success across the Middle East and Africa long before the Western mainstream ‘discovered’ Bollywood. The internet has extended that reach even further, although this visionary composer turns out to be more of a traditionalist. ‘I’ve still not really explored the internet,’ he admits shyly. ‘It’s all very strange, the digital world, although it has been amazing to get feedback from fans in places like Turkey and northern Europe. And I heard a Spanish version of Jai Ho. Any culture will respond to a positive change; that’s a factor I’ve always sought in my work. And the overall awareness of India is another factor – now it’s not just “world music”.’

He won’t be standing in the spotlight for tonight’s performance but he will definitely make his presence felt: ‘I’m going to watch the show from the audience’s point of view; it’s going to be a very intimate thing. The definition of music changes all the time. Melody doesn’t change so I cling on to that.’

AR Rahman plays the Alchemy festival at London’s Royal Festival Hall tonight. www.southbankcentre.co.uk

Slumdog Millionaire

Rahman simply describes his music for Danny Boyle’s multi-award-winning 2008 film as ‘the soundtrack to a life’. In fact, the score is probably his most accomplished international work yet: a spirited, deliciously catchy original fusion of Indian and Western pop, electronic and r’*’b styles, including his collaborations with MIA (O… Saya) and the Oscar-winning finale Jai Ho, swiftly reworked into a chart-topping single with the Pussycat Dolls.

Bombay Dreams

Back in 2002, Rahman’s first foray away from the big screen and into mainstream stage spectacle was a typical rags-to-riches tale, impressively elevated by a sumptuous and snappy soundtrack (English lyrics were penned by another musical maestro, Don Black), grand visuals and glossy production by Andrew Lloyd Webber. The show successfully travelled from London’s West End to Broadway; a single release, Shakalaka Baby (sung by Preeya Kalidas, now an EastEnders actress), hinted at Rahman’s pop success to come.

Lagaan

Cricket and the crumbling Victorian Empire were the themes of this Oscar-nominated 2001 Bollywood epic (pictured), starring leading heart-throb Aamir Khan. Rahman’s score is elegant and epic, perfectly complementing the gorgeous cinematography (shot in rural Gujarat) and contributing to the film’s major crossover appeal.

Dil Se

Rahman provided the music to this 1998 hit political melodrama starring another Bollywood hottie, Shahrukh Khan. The most famous scene in Dil Se (From The Heart) is a fabulous duet/dance routine set atop a moving train, to Rahman’s romantic, rhythmic groove Chaiya Chaiya. The song achieved hit status around the world and was memorably reworked for a live stage scene in Bombay Dreams.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Rahman teamed up with British film composer Craig Armstrong for Shekhar Kapur’s Oscar-winning 2007 film starring Cate Blanchett (who reportedly requested the soundtrack collaboration). The resulting score is less obviously melodic than Rahman’s other work but it bristles with high drama and a suitably regal air.AH

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/music/820579-ar-rahman-slumdog-millionaire-was-a-starting-point-for-my-work[/tscii:309c2af1f2]

A.ANAND
7th April 2010, 07:31 PM
[tscii:69e71ecef8]Rahman Conservatory to bring Russian style in Piano

Oscar winner musician A.R. Rahman’s (Slumdog Millionaire) KM Music Conservatory claims that after it's training, one can “perform in nine months”. Admissions are currently on at the Conservatory, which also claims to bring famed Russian style in Piano to India.

Buzz up!Applauding Rahman for creating bridge between the music of east and west and for strengthening the worldwide market and stature of Indian music, Indo-American statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, suggested that instead of offering shortcuts to musical success to students, Rahman’s Conservatory should focus on providing some serious musical training and becoming one of top of world-class conservatories.

Rajan Zed, who is the chairperson of Indo-American Leadership Confederation, also urged Rahman to help nourish the next generation with the richness of Indian music, elements of whose theory were first found in ancient Hindu scripture Sama-Veda.

Founded by Rahman (who is also its Principal), KM Music Conservatory in Kodambakkam area of Chennai in Tamil Nadu state of India envisions expanding the horizon of musicians in India by offering education in both Indian and Western music besides music technology and its mission is to provide students with a strong artistic, intellectual, and technical foundation. Srinivas Krishnan is the provost of this international school of music and music technology whose tagline is "Become the Future of Music". Rahman has assembled international faculty at his Conservatory.

Rahman, who has reportedly recorded sales of over 300 million, was called 'Mozart of Madras' by Time magazine. Rahman sees music “as a way to connect to spirituality and embrace it” and for “creating harmony in troubled times”.

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/music/news/2010/rahman-russian-piano-070410.html[/tscii:69e71ecef8]

raghavendran
8th April 2010, 11:06 AM
[tscii:6f5b8f67bb]Rahman Conservatory to bring Russian style in Piano

Oscar winner musician A.R. Rahman’s (Slumdog Millionaire) KM Music Conservatory claims that after it's training, one can “perform in nine months”. Admissions are currently on at the Conservatory, which also claims to bring famed Russian style in Piano to India.

Buzz up!Applauding Rahman for creating bridge between the music of east and west and for strengthening the worldwide market and stature of Indian music, Indo-American statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, suggested that instead of offering shortcuts to musical success to students, Rahman’s Conservatory should focus on providing some serious musical training and becoming one of top of world-class conservatories.

Rajan Zed, who is the chairperson of Indo-American Leadership Confederation, also urged Rahman to help nourish the next generation with the richness of Indian music, elements of whose theory were first found in ancient Hindu scripture Sama-Veda.

Founded by Rahman (who is also its Principal), KM Music Conservatory in Kodambakkam area of Chennai in Tamil Nadu state of India envisions expanding the horizon of musicians in India by offering education in both Indian and Western music besides music technology and its mission is to provide students with a strong artistic, intellectual, and technical foundation. Srinivas Krishnan is the provost of this international school of music and music technology whose tagline is "Become the Future of Music". Rahman has assembled international faculty at his Conservatory.

Rahman, who has reportedly recorded sales of over 300 million, was called 'Mozart of Madras' by Time magazine. Rahman sees music “as a way to connect to spirituality and embrace it” and for “creating harmony in troubled times”.

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/music/news/2010/rahman-russian-piano-070410.html[/tscii:6f5b8f67bb]
ANAND...na enne solradhu...thnx a lot

K2AL
8th April 2010, 03:09 PM
kylie minogue with ARR @ 'Alchemy' festival at the Southbank centre in London.

http://twitpic.com/1dxad5

P.S :- Rotate teh pic n c :)

Yathu
10th April 2010, 12:09 AM
kylie minogue with ARR @ 'Alchemy' festival at the Southbank centre in London.

http://twitpic.com/1dxad5

P.S :- Rotate teh pic n c :)

Yeah ARR did say that Kylie was there. He also said how her favourite piece is Cry of a Rose (Kadhal Rojave) from Roja!

Here's another pic:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=4366045&id=54704740492

joe
12th April 2010, 09:33 PM
Exclusive interview
http://kalyanje.blogspot.com/2010/04/blog-post.html

littlemaster1982
12th April 2010, 09:45 PM
:ty: Joe :D

shocker
13th April 2010, 02:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW1UOyKkzjQ

Came across this interview. Awkward moment at 4:01? What's going on there.

Appu s
13th April 2010, 11:01 AM
[tscii]
Exclusive interview
http://kalyanje.blogspot.com/2010/04/blog-post.html
:ty: Joe :ty:

Superb interview! :clap: :clap:

கேள்வி: உங்களுடைய அந்த ஆஸ்கார் பேச்சு, உங்கள் வயதைத் தாண்டிய முதிர்ச்சியோடு இருந்தது. இந்த முதிர்ச்சியை நீங்கள் எப்படிப் பெற்றீர்கள்?

ரஹ்மான்: சின்ன வயதிலேயே எனக்கு ஏற்பட்ட இழப்புகள் காரணமாக இந்த முதிர்ச்சி வந்திருக்கலாம். சின்னப்பையனாக இருந்தபோதே ஸ்டுடியோவில் வேலைக்குச் சென்று விட்டேன். அங்கே வாழ்க்கையைக் கற்றுக்கொண்டேன். மரணத்தை நினைவுகூர்வதேகூட உங்களுக்கு முதிர்ச்சியைக் கொடுக்கும். நேற்று ஒரு ஆவணப்படம் பார்த்தேன். பதினாறாவது நூற்றாண்டில் வாழ்ந்த தெரசா என்கிற கிறிஸ்துவப் புனிதர் பற்றிய படம் அது. வாழ்க்கை என்பது விலை மலிவான விடுதியில் ஓர் இரவைக் கழிப்பதற்கு சமம் என்கிறது அந்தப்படம். வாழ்க்கை அந்தளவு தற்காலிகமானதுதான். இதை நான் சிறுவயதிலேயே உணர்ந்துவிட்டதாலோ என்னவோ, ஒருவேளை நான் முதிர்ச்சியோடு இருக்கலாம்
:bow: :bow: :bow:

கேள்வி: உங்களுடைய இசையில் தமிழ் மண்ணுக்குரிய தன்மை தெரியவில்லையே? உங்கள் இசையை எந்த மொழிப் படத்திற்கும் பொருத்திக்கொள்ளலாம் போலல்லவா இருக்கிறது?

ரஹ்மான்: தமிழ் மண்ணுக்குரிய தன்மையோடு படங்கள் அமைவதைப் பொறுத்துதான் நான் செய்ய முடியும். தமிழ் நேட்டிவிட்டியோடு, ‘கருத்தம்மா’, ‘கிழக்குச் சீமையிலே’ போன்ற படங்கள் செய்தேன். அதிலும் புதிதாக ஏதாவது செய்ய முடியுமா என்று பார்த்தேன். ‘லகான்’ பண்ணும்போது குஜராத் நேட்டிவிட்டியோடுதான் செய்தேன். மேலும் மணிரத்னம், ஷங்கர் போன்றவர்களின் படங்கள் இந்தியா அனைத்துக்குமான படங்களாகவே இருந்தன. அதோடு என்னை இசையமைப்பாளராக நியமித்தால், அதே இசையைத் தெலுங்கில், இந்தியில் மார்க்கெட் பண்ணலாம் என்று தயாரிப்பாளர்கள் நினைத்து வந்தார்கள். அதனால், அப்படிச் சேர்க்கும்படியான நிர்ப்பந்தமும் அழுத்தமும் எனக்கு இருந்தன. சில படங்களில் மட்டும் அப்படி நேர்ந்தது. அதிலிருந்து வெளியே வரத்தான் நான் தனிப்பட்ட ஆல்பங்களைச் செய்ய ஆரம்பித்தேன். எனக்கான குரல்களை நான் தேர்ந்தெடுத்துக்கொள்ளும் சுதந்திரம் எனக்கு ஆல்பம் செய்யும்போது கிடைத்தது.
கேள்வி: நீங்கள் அறிமுகப்படுத்திய நிறையப் பாடகர்கள் தமிழ் உச்சரிப்பைக் கொலை செய்தார்கள். உங்களுக்குப்பின்தான் அப்படிப்பட்ட பாடல்கள் நிறைய வந்தன என்கிற குற்றச்சாட்டு இருக்கிறதே?

ரஹ்மான்: ஆரம்பத்தில் அப்படி இருந்தது, உண்மைதான். ஆனால், அதுபோன்ற குரல்கள் என்னுடைய தேர்வு மட்டும் அல்ல. ஷங்கரிடம் நான் ஒரு பாடகரைச் சொல்வேன். ‘இல்லை வேண்டாம், புதுக்குரல் வேண்டும்’ என்பார். முதன் முதலில் ‘காதலன்’ படத்தில் உதித் நாராயணன் பாடினார். அது ஷங்கருடைய யோசனைதான். ‘அமீர்கானுக்கு ஒருத்தர் பாடுவாரே, அவரைப் போடலாமா?’ என்றார். ‘சரி! போடலாம்!’ என்று நானும் ஒத்துக்கொண்டேன். அந்தப் பாவத்தை நாங்கள் இரண்டு பேரும் பகிர்ந்து கொள்கிறோம். :lol: ஆனால், இதில் ஒரு விஷயம் இருக்கிறது. வேற்று மொழிக்காரர்கள் தமிழில் பாடுவது புதிதில்லை. டி.எம்.எஸ்.சின் தாய்மொழி தமிழ் இல்லை. ஆனால், தமிழ்ப் பாடல்களுக்கு அவர் எவ்வளவோ பங்களிப்பு செய்திருக்கிறார். எஸ்.பி.பி., ஜேசுதாஸ், பி.சுசீலா, ஜானகி, சித்ரா இவர்கள் யாருக்குமே தாய்மொழி தமிழ் இல்லை. ஆனால், அவர்கள் யாரும் தமிழைக் கொலை செய்யவில்லை. பயபக்தியோடு தமிழைக் கற்றுக்கொண்டு சரியாய் பாடுகிறோமா என்று ஒவ்வொரு முறையும் பரிசோதித்துவிட்டுத்தான் பாடுகிறார்கள். ஆனால், ஒரு மொழியைப் பாட வாய்ப்பு வரும்போது அந்தப் பாடகருக்கு அந்த மொழி உச்சரிப்பை கற்றுக்கொண்டு பாட வேண்டிய பொறுப்பு இருக்கிறது. நான் உருதுமொழியில் பாடவேண்டும் என்பதற்காக இரண்டு வருடங்கள் உருது கற்றுக்கொண்டேன். அதன்பிறகுதான் பாடினேன். :thumbsup:

கேள்வி: உங்கள் ரசிகர்களின் ஒரே குறை, தமிழில் இப்போது படமே நீங்கள் பண்ணுவதில்லையே என்பதுதான். ஹாலிவுட் பக்கம் பிஸியானதாலா?

ரஹ்மான்: தமிழில் எதிர்பார்ப்பு மிகவும் அதிகமாக இருக்கிறது. அதற்கேற்ற மாதிரி படம் இல்லையென்றால், படம் ஃபிளாப் ஆகிறது. படத்திற்குப் பதிலாக ஆல்பம் பண்ணலாம்.( Atahi pannunga :bow: :bow: ) படம் பண்ணும்போது என்னாகிறதென்றால், பாட்டு நன்றாக போட்டுக்கொடுத்துவிட்டு ஒரு எதிர்பார்ப்பையும் கிளறி விட்டுவிட்டபின் தியேட்டருக்கு வந்து பார்த்துவிட்டு திட்டிவிட்டுப் போகிறார்கள். ‘ஏன் இந்தாளு இந்தப்படத்துக்கு மியூசிக் போட ஒத்துக்கிட்டாரு, இவனை நம்பி படம் பார்க்க வந்தால், இது என்ன இப்படி இருக்கு?’ என்று கேட்கிறார்கள். அப்படியல்லாமல், இந்த எதிர்பார்ப்புகளுக்கு ஈடுகொடுக்கும் படம் கிடைத்தால் கண்டிப்பாகத் தமிழில் படம் பண்ணுவேன். நான் பட்ஜெட் பற்றிப் பேசவில்லை. ஐடியா பற்றிப் பேசுகிறேன். நூறு கோடியில்தான் படம் பண்ண வேண்டும் என்றில்லை. ஒரு கோடியிலும் இருக்கலாம். பத்து லட்சத்திலும் இருக்கலாம். ஆனால், புதிதாகப் பார்வையாளர்களுக்கு ஏதாவது வேண்டும். ‘விண்ணைத்தாண்டி வருவாயா’ படத்திற்கு பயங்கர எதிர்பார்ப்பு இருக்கிறது. ஆனால், அது மெச்சூர்ட் டீம். நன்றாக வரும் என நினைக்கிறேன்.

vijayr
15th April 2010, 01:35 AM
Some of the questions were good. Atleast better than the same crap that some of these high profile magazines/TV channels ask him. Thanks for the link Joe.

venkkiram
15th April 2010, 08:51 AM
இப்போதுதான் கல்யாண்ஜியின் நேர்காணலைப் படித்து, இங்கே பதிவு செய்யலாம் என ஆசை ஆசையாய் வந்தால் ஜோ முன்பே அதை பகிர்ந்திருக்கிறார். நன்றி !

கொஞ்சம் கூட தலைக்கணம் இல்லாமல் எப்படிதான் இருக்க முடிகிறதோ ரஹ்மானால்? குறிப்பிடத்தக்க விஷயம், அவரது பேச்சு எல்லாரும் உள்வாங்கிக்கொள்ளும் அளவிற்கு எளிதாக, அதே நேரத்தில் செறிவுள்ளதாக இருக்கிறது. "அன்பிற்கும் உண்டோ, அடைக்கும் தாழ்?"என்ற குறளுக்கு எடுத்துக்காட்டு நம்ம ரஹ்மான் தான்.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

K2AL
15th April 2010, 11:02 AM
[tscii:e12122998d]it's official folks :)

"In true IPL style, the evening will be a fusion of cricketing and entertainment excellence, with some of India’s biggest names, including AR Rahman, Shilpa Shetty, Katrina Kaif, Priyanka Chopra and Hrithik, set to deliver their trademark energy and style."

source - http://www.iplt20.com/announcements_detail.php?id=1494[/tscii:e12122998d]

Roshan
15th April 2010, 10:06 PM
இப்போதுதான் கல்யாண்ஜியின் நேர்காணலைப் படித்து, இங்கே பதிவு செய்யலாம் என ஆசை ஆசையாய் வந்தால் ஜோ முன்பே அதை பகிர்ந்திருக்கிறார். நன்றி !

கொஞ்சம் கூட தலைக்கணம் இல்லாமல் எப்படிதான் இருக்க முடிகிறதோ ரஹ்மானால்? குறிப்பிடத்தக்க விஷயம், அவரது பேச்சு எல்லாரும் உள்வாங்கிக்கொள்ளும் அளவிற்கு எளிதாக, அதே நேரத்தில் செறிவுள்ளதாக இருக்கிறது. "அன்பிற்கும் உண்டோ, அடைக்கும் தாழ்?"என்ற குறளுக்கு எடுத்துக்காட்டு நம்ம ரஹ்மான் தான்.

Very true !

littlemaster1982
22nd April 2010, 01:24 PM
Ar.Rahman is writing his Coffee table book from Roja to Ravan.around 300 singers photos with arr's comment,photo by Selvakumar..

From Nikil Murugan's Twitter page (http://twitter.com/onlynikil/status/10457116458).

A.ANAND
22nd April 2010, 05:14 PM
What Rahman has in store for the world

Of the many innovations A R Rahman has brought about, few are as interesting as the one about adding dance element to the live show.

He offers to do more of it in his 'Jai Ho: the Journey Home' tour that kicks off in New York on June 11 at the Nassau Coliseum. The tour will take him and the troupe to over a dozen cities in America and Canada [ Images ], before leaving for Europe.

The high tech show will have magical lighting and artists exuding a variety of genres including Bharata Natyam and tap dancing, the organisers say.

Any Rahman show creates a lot of excitement says the show's producer Deepak Dattani but after winning the Golden Globe [ Images ], Oscars [ Images ] and the Grammy [ Images ], the expectations for the show are soaring.

Undoubtedly the hottest show in North America this summer, the 'Jai Ho' concerts will also feature one of the most versatile singers in India [ Images ], Hariharan [ Images ], joined by the recent sensation Javed Ali and a host of relatively new singers.

Rahman started using dancers early on in the half a dozen concerts he has presented in North America and elsewhere. "But everything is at the service of music," he says. "We have used awesome technology and spectacular scenes but at the end of the event, everything will be done to enhance the music."

He is chatting with rediff.com at the Bombay Palace restaurant in New York soon after the April 19 press conference attended by the promoters and the key American members of the team. "We are not doing something for the sake of creating glamour," he says.

He remembers going to light concerts in Chennai in his school and college days. "The singers would often stand with a book in their hand and sing," he says. It was like a lamp post performance.

"There was nothing wrong with it but as I was creating my own music -- and it was a very young music -- I felt the artists should move their bodies. The audiences should not feel that they are being punished for nearly three hours. I am generally a shy person but when it came to live shows, I had to teach myself to sway to the music. Audiences were enjoying the new concept and I decided to go farther, adding the visual excitement."

Of the 20 cities the musical tour will visit, a majority are in America and Canada including Atlantic City and Vancouver. The company will also perform at three venues in the UK, and in Paris, Amsterdam and Zurich.

'This tour is going to be one of its kind,' the promoters say in the press note, 'where an Indian artist will tour 20 cities worldwide.'

"For the first time has an Indian artist embarked on a true road world tour. The entire crew of 75 people that includes technicians, dancers and artists, and A R Rahman will be travelling at different venues with hardly a gap between the shows."

The final performance will be in London [ Images ] on July 25.

Dattani, who joined the press conference via video in Mumbai [ Images ], said the talks on the show started soon after Rahman's double Oscar victory.

Despite the technical wizardry that employs the best Hollywood can offer, he said, it is essentially an Indian show, often a nostalgic trip to overseas Indians. During the nearly three hour-long show, "the soul of India can be experienced," he said.

This is the first time Dattani and Rahman are working on a global production which has already played in Australia [ Images ]. Dattani's Rapport Global Events has produced Indian musical shows in many countries in the Gulf region. In nearly two decades, Rapport has organised over 500 events including tours by Asha Bhosle [ Images ], Akshay Kumar [ Images ], Shah Rukh Khan [ Images ] and Rani Mukerji [ Images ].

Amy Tinkham, who serves as the creative director of the new Rahman show, has also helped mount live concerts for top American artists including Mariah Carey [ Images ] and Britney Spears [ Images ].

'Through the vast tapestry of music that is A R Rahman,' she said in a statement, 'he takes us on a virtual journey through beauty, culture, and spirituality. This is uniquely Indian, both ancient and Indian.'

She said at the press conference that she had to extremely careful to choose the best of the dancers and acrobatics. The Rahman show deserves nothing less than the best, she asserted. For nearly three years, fans have been watching Rahman on their television sets.

"It was time to give Rahman to them in flesh," she added. While it is going to be an East meets West show, she continued, "like his music, it breaks all borders."

Rahman said having Tinkham direct the show was a "huge relief to him." Otherwise, he would have been burdened in choosing the artists and wondering if people will turn up on time for the rehearsal. "It used to show on my face," he said with a chuckle referring to the tension at the previous concerts.

Rahman said ideally he would like to have a live show every second year. "And that would mean that I have three or four new movies released in the duration and I can add new songs to my shows," he continued. "But the past three years have been unbelievable busy and crazy that I just could not produce a series of live shows as I am doing now."

A few weeks before the Rahman show, singer Sukhwindra Singh will also tour over half a dozen cities with his own 'Jai Ho' show.

The previous Rahman shows used to be filled with half a dozen big name singers like Sonu Nigam [ Images ] and K S Chitra, a popular and highly respected singer down South. But the new show has more of newer singers including Benny Dayal. And that means the burden of carrying most songs falls on Rahman. Not that his fans mind.

"Some of the singers who have been featured in my previous shows have grown bigger and cannot be with me for over a month," he continued. "As for the very big singers, I felt I have not been doing proper justice. What is really the point in having them in the show when they get to sing two or three songs?"

As for the visual components of his show, Rahman said he has been a bit surprised that other Indian composers and singers have not given it due importance. Many Indian artists come to America or the UK thinking that after all we are from India and it is enough we have made this much of progress.

The sky is the limit if you want to go for the innovations, Rahman said. One reason that there are not many big time artists in the current show, an insider speculated, was to save the money that could be spent on the special effects and dance numbers.

"I have always sought out to be adventurous but this time after the Sydney [ Images ] show (of 'Jai Ho'), I felt we can be more adventurous," Rahman mused. "Audiences expect from me not only a variety of music including spiritual songs but also something that satisfies their senses at different levels. To give them something less than what we are offering would be cheating, I feel."

"Never mind if we fail in trying to be bold and colourful," he asserted, "we will remember that it was worth trying."

Image: Amy Tinkham, A R Rahman and Amos Newman, the maestro's manager). Photograph: Paresh Gandhi

A.ANAND
22nd April 2010, 05:25 PM
[tscii:ed5d781ac0]A.R. Rahman Masters iPad With Original Song, Announces Tour
Back To Main Community-News

BY: AndrewRossRowe

The Mozart of Madras is also a Mozart of Technology.

It¡¯s 2010. When you think of musicians, producers and artists you have to think tech. Leave it to Indian super-producer A. R. Rahman to lead with the latest in cutting edge tech, the iPad.

MTV Iggy had the chance to sit down one-on-one with Rahman before he announced his upcoming world tour, ¡°A. R. Rahman Jai Ho Concert: The Journey Home World Tour.¡± We found that not only does he own an iPad, he now owns eight!

When Rahman¡¯s flight arrived from India to New York at 4am on Monday, he and his staff went straight to the 24/7 Apple store on 5th avenue to buy the tablet.

¡°They wouldn¡¯t give more than two for each person,¡± but ¡°there were so many emails from friends and directors [from India] wanting them.¡± So the Mozart of Technology had his entourage help him out. Shhh, don¡¯t tell Steve Jobs!

By the time MTV Iggy was talking with him at 11am, A. R. was proudly showing off the apps he had already downloaded.

A. R. showed us a couple of programs that he was into. Upon swiping his tablet open, the first one was already called up. ¡°I love this program, Bebot ¨C Robot Synth.¡±

He demonstrated the program with an original song, on-the-fly. Every finger-touch presented an auditory note, gestures up the pad controlled volume and intensity. The horizontal movement changed the tone. He seemed to have mastered the instrument that is Bebot, calling it a ¡°polyphonic theremin.¡± He modestly told us, ¡°I¡¯m getting used to it still.¡±

Rahman also showed us a mixing app that he uses to control his studio program, Pro Tools. ¡°I sit [back] and lounge,¡± he jokes noting that his studio has ¡° a lot of Apple stuff.¡±

[/tscii:ed5d781ac0]

raajarasigan
22nd April 2010, 06:07 PM
[tscii:2c5dad24e8]A R Rahman Live at IPL Final
IndiaGlitz [Thursday, April 22, 2010]

India’s favourite music composer A R Rahman is taking a break from his current world tour to perform live for two special events in Mumbai on April 24 and 25.

On April 24 ARR will be performing live at the audio release of Mani Ratnam’s ‘Raavan’ for a select audience from Bollywood and the media at Yash Raj Studios. On April 25 the maestro’s performance is going to be the highlight of the IPL Finale at DY Patil stadium in Navi Mumbai.

The ‘Raavan’ audio release is so special that Abhishek Bachchan, who is shooting in Greece will cut short his shooting to fly back to Mumbai for a day.

A R Rahman has not performed live in Mumbai for many years and this will be his first event in Mumbai after the Oscar and Grammys.
[/tscii:2c5dad24e8]

K2AL
24th April 2010, 02:34 PM
ARR @ IPL AWards 2010

http://celluloidtamil.com/ipl-awards-2010-exclusive-unseen-photo-gallery.html?pid=64182

ajaybaskar
25th April 2010, 12:13 AM
The IPL closing ceremony featuring ARR will be shown live in SET MAX today at 6 pm.

A.ANAND
26th April 2010, 05:48 AM
A.R.Rahman At IPL 3 Closing Ceremony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r84rNwRwN0I

ajaybaskar
26th April 2010, 11:12 AM
Although Thalaivar is 43, I have never felt that he is middle aged. But when I saw him yesterday performing, I could see that aging is taking a toll on his physique..

Yathu
26th April 2010, 04:02 PM
Although Thalaivar is 43, I have never felt that he is middle aged. But when I saw him yesterday performing, I could see that aging is taking a toll on his physique..

Maybe it was what he was wearing? 'cos when I saw him in the flesh I thought he looked even more youthful than I'd seen him in videos! But he has put on a bit of weight. :D

Yuvi
26th April 2010, 04:13 PM
I felt the other way .. Not sure why.. Even I was telling my friend that he looks like in the same league of Yuvan ... I think the only thing that he has done to look more mature is the hair straightening.. why why why .. Curly hair-la you looked more cool

jinju
26th April 2010, 04:28 PM
hey i also felt thalaivar lukd youthful ya....yes he has put on much weight, yes the movements ellaam oru maadhiri irundhuchu still he lukd fine, esply with the coolers on! maybe tired after day before's event, journey, and all!

Benny Lava
26th April 2010, 07:55 PM
A.R.Rahman At IPL 3 Closing Ceremony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r84rNwRwN0I

Funny that all the dancers surrounding ARR were wearing CSK costume, as if to suggest that the "chale chalo" song was for them :P Seriously, were did the blue shirts go in the later half of the performance?

And speaking of Chale chalo, have you guys seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12oteYm6mB8

I am not sure whether it has been already posted but pretty good performance there by Miami University Collegiate Chorale. :thumbsup:

Thiru
27th April 2010, 07:55 AM
ARR and his iPad...

http://mtviggy.com/content/38963

A.ANAND
27th April 2010, 01:34 PM
http://www.images.behindwoods.com/photo-galleries-q1-09/tamil-photo-gallery/raavan-audio-launch/raavan-audio-launch-06.html

intha-la romba slim-ma irukare!

raghavendran
27th April 2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.images.behindwoods.com/photo-galleries-q1-09/tamil-photo-gallery/raavan-audio-launch/raavan-audio-launch-06.html

intha-la romba slim-ma irukare! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A.ANAND
28th April 2010, 01:33 PM
GV croons for AR Rahman

By Moviebuzz | Wednesday, 28 April , 2010, 12:11

The young, hot and happening music director GV Prakash has sung a song for his uncle AR Rahman, after a gap of nearly 17 years!

Rahman is composing music for the prestigious Ulaga Tamil Chemozhi Manadu, to be held by the Tamilnadu Government in June in Coimbatore. Prakash has sung one of the songs for the album which will be released at the Manadu.

Remember Prakash has last sung under his uncle抯 baton for the song Chikku Bukku, Chikkubukku Raile?/I> from the 1993 film Gentleman, when he was just a kid?

Says a pleased GV Prakash: 揑 have not sung for anyone after I became a music director but when Rahman called me to sing under his baton, I was so excited and honoured. To be frank, I was nervous to sing for the legend himself and I am sure that I have satisfied the composer? .

The views expressed in the article are the author's and not of Sify.com.

music man
28th April 2010, 02:49 PM
Has GVP not sung in Mudhalvan???Hmmm....A.R.Rahman ah maamaa nu avar sonna enna koranja poiduvaar...Always I notice GVP addressing as A.R.Rahman only.....Enna koduma sir ithu!!!!!!

littlemaster1982
2nd May 2010, 03:19 PM
Song composed by AR Rahman for Gujarat Day Celebrations (http://www.4shared.com/audio/tATcCbht/AR_Rahman__JAY_GAY_GARVI__GUJR.html)

It gives me immense pleasure to be commissioned by the Govt. of Gujarat to compose a song for the Gujarat Day celebrations. The song is called 'Jai Jai Garvi Gujarat' and has been written by noted writer Kavi Narmad. Other Gujarati writers on this song are Dilip Rawal, Ankit Trivedi, Sairam Dave & Chiragh Tripathi.
The Hindi version has been written by Prasoon Joshi.

The people of Gujarat are some of the nicest that I've come across whether in India or across the globe. Also, the fact that my wife is from Kutch, gave me additional impetus to compose this song. I sincerely hope this song helps people celebrate and come together as one. The film is being directed by my long term associate Bharatbala who has demonstrated his unique vision and I'm looking forward to the video.

- AR Rahman

A.ANAND
3rd May 2010, 06:30 PM
[tscii:88cd5bfbc9]Even Asha’s song was not used: Rahman

That’s Allah Rakha Rahman for you – man of few flamboyant words, but of immensely popular, globally hummed music. While his global appeal grows by the day, Rahman continues to add to his Bollywood repertoire, the latest being Mani Ratnam’s Raavan.

Asha Bhonsle’s song wasn’t used
While everyone gushed about Raavan’s music launch with Rahman and Gulzar, Sonu Niigaam tweeted about his song missing from the album. Rahman said, “Unfortunately, because of the narration, we couldn’t fit many songs. We have three more songs that we recorded, but couldn’t use. We had a song with Asha Bhonsle too, which wasn’t used. The movie’s narration would’ve halted with so many songs. So, we took a creative decision.”

I want to work with Mani Ratnam... always
Since Roja, Rahman’s been associated with every Ratnam project. And, the camaraderie is “precious” to him. He says, “He doesn’t do three movies in two years, but one in two years. Which means, in about 20 years, he’s done about 10 movies. That translates into a great working opportunity with him. I want to do stuff with him. The process excites us both; it’s engaging.”

Mani wants me to sing
Rahman also sang a number for the flick. But, doesn’t he usually sing a song in all the movies that he does? “Not necessarily. Sometimes, Mani wants me to sing. In fact, he was one of the first people who asked me to sing.”

You learn to compartmentalise
Since he works with international artistes like Usher and then comes back to Bollywood, does he ever feel disconnected? “No. When I work there, I feel excited. When I work here, I feel excited. After a while, you learn to compartmentalise and use all the inputs to create a new kind of product. As long as I create music anywhere, I am in great spirit.”

I took a break for a year, while taking awards for Slumdog
What happens when you don’t feel like creating music? “I take a break,” he says. So, when did he last take a break? “I took a break for almost a year in 2009... when I was collecting awards for Slumdog Millionaire!”

Slumdog a turning point
Since the movie got him international recognition, was Slumdog the turning point of his life? He says that it was one of the turning points. So, which one was the most important? “The most important turning point was in the ’90s, when Roja released. My life took a 180 degree turn. My direction turned towards spirituality, it became more Sufi. Everything sort of aligned itself in the same direction.”

If possible, I’d visit a dargah everyday
Does Rahman always visit a dargah before embarking on a big project? Says he, “Yeah, I try to. If possible, I would visit a dargah everyday. There’s so much spiritual energy. It helps me.”

Choose love
Besides his spirituality, what else makes him tick? “Choosing love. It’s what I’d said in my Oscar speech. Choose love – all my life I had a choice between hate and love, and I chose love.”

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Music/Even-Ashas-song-was-not-used-Rahman/articleshow/5883263.cms
[/tscii:88cd5bfbc9]

MADDY
4th May 2010, 10:22 AM
http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=19&sectid=edid=&edlabel=TOICH&mydateHid=03-05-2010&pubname=Times+of+India+-+Chennai&edname=&articleid=Ar01903&publabel=TOI

The most popular number,at least when India are doing well,is of course Jai ho;almost instantly,the stands erupt.Cheergirls in shiny peacock-blue halter tops,shorts and multi-coloured feathers emerge too,gyrating to the beat.Their main goal: Have fun.

A.ANAND
7th May 2010, 08:02 AM
ARR's latest FB update

A.R.RAHMAN For the past 3 nights, I have been playing a loving father to my daughter. No music, no nothing. I want to sincerely thank all my friends and family members for their prayers and good wishes. God has been kind and Raheema is recovering fast.
I also want to thank all my friends from the media for their support and understanding of the situation and for respecting our privacy.

http://www.facebook.com/arrahman?v=wall&story_fbid=118710068150986

A.ANAND
7th May 2010, 08:04 AM
Raheema seekiran gunamadaiya iraivanai pirartippom! :D

satissh_r
7th May 2010, 09:13 AM

What happened to her? :( Nan engeyum itha pathi padikalaye

A.ANAND
7th May 2010, 09:37 AM

What happened to her? :( Nan engeyum itha pathi padikalaye

http://www.facebook.com/arrahman?v=wall&story_fbid=118710068150986

avanga daughter health sugamillai innu nenakiran!

A.ANAND
7th May 2010, 09:49 AM
Cardiac problems land Rahman's daughter in ICU
By: A correspondent Date: 2010-05-07 Place: Mumbai

Oscar-winning music maestro A R Rahman's daughter, Raheema (11), was admitted to the Asian Heart Hospital in Bandra Kurla Complex earlier this week following cardiac problems related to a congenital heart defect.

"For the past three nights, I have exclusively been playing the role of a loving father, with no music, nothing. I want to sincerely thank all my friends and family members for their prayers and good wishes. God has been kind and Raheema is recovering fast. I also want to thank all my friends from the media for their support and for respecting our privacy," said Rahman.

Raheema is currently under observation in the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital. While hospital officials remained unavailable for comment, sources said that the girl was under the care of the hospital's medical director and intensivist, Dr Vijay D'silva.

She was operated upon by local and American doctors on Wednesday night.

Raheema is one of Rahman's three children. He has another daughter, Khatija (14), and a son, Ameen (5).

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2010/may/070510-ar-rahman-daughter-raheena-cardiac-problems.htm

satissh_r
7th May 2010, 10:11 AM
Cardiac problems land Rahman's daughter in ICU
By: A correspondent Date: 2010-05-07 Place: Mumbai

Oscar-winning music maestro A R Rahman's daughter, Raheema (11), was admitted to the Asian Heart Hospital in Bandra Kurla Complex earlier this week following cardiac problems related to a congenital heart defect.

"For the past three nights, I have exclusively been playing the role of a loving father, with no music, nothing. I want to sincerely thank all my friends and family members for their prayers and good wishes. God has been kind and Raheema is recovering fast. I also want to thank all my friends from the media for their support and for respecting our privacy," said Rahman.

Raheema is currently under observation in the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital. While hospital officials remained unavailable for comment, sources said that the girl was under the care of the hospital's medical director and intensivist, Dr Vijay D'silva.

She was operated upon by local and American doctors on Wednesday night.

Raheema is one of Rahman's three children. He has another daughter, Khatija (14), and a son, Ameen (5).

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2010/may/070510-ar-rahman-daughter-raheena-cardiac-problems.htm

Sad this :( avvalo chinna vayusula athuvum. Hopefully she recovers soon, will pray for her

Scale
7th May 2010, 12:44 PM
Deeply shocked! Wish her a speedy recovery and a sustained healthy life.

Appu s
7th May 2010, 02:21 PM
:shock: Praying for speedy recovery :bow:

Roshan
7th May 2010, 02:38 PM
Really shocking. Praying for her recovery.

ajaybaskar
7th May 2010, 02:52 PM
A speedy recovery wish to Raheema on behalf of all Rahman fans of hub has been conveyed to ARR.

satissh_r
7th May 2010, 02:53 PM
A speedy recovery wish to Raheema on behalf of all Rahman fans of hub has been conveyed to ARR.

:ty: Nejamave heart problems huh? Still can't believe it

vibinrajmani
7th May 2010, 02:59 PM
I wonder what type of cardiac anomaly she has or was born with :huh: These things are especially traumatizing for the parents :( Anyway, I hope she recovers quickly.

ajaybaskar
7th May 2010, 03:03 PM
Even in Kamini Mathai's book, there was something written about Raheema's ailment if my memory goes right.. Hope she turns normal after the operation.

littlemaster1982
7th May 2010, 03:27 PM
Wishing her a speedy recovery!!

Yathu
7th May 2010, 06:41 PM
Hope she gets well soon.

raghavendran
7th May 2010, 07:51 PM
get well soon...

app_engine
7th May 2010, 08:05 PM
[tscii:c4e6ce4c94]

Rahman himself tweeted "For the past three nights I have exclusively been playing the role of a loving father, with no music, nothing. I want to sincerely thank all my friends and family members for their prayers and good wishes. God has been kind and Raheema is recovering fast.”

Good! Get well soon!
[/tscii:c4e6ce4c94]

joe
7th May 2010, 09:34 PM
May Allah bless her and recover soon.

sathya_1979
7th May 2010, 09:35 PM
My heartfelt wishes for Raheema! Get well soon dear :D

Appu s
8th May 2010, 05:14 PM
"Jay Jay garvi Gujarat" song for Gujarat day celebrations..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCfYlSWf7M8&feature=player_embedded#!

m_karthik
8th May 2010, 09:50 PM
According to the following Report

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2010/05/heart-surgery-ar-rahman-daughter.html

Raheema had undergone surgery on Wednesday.
May be Rahman's facebook update is after this.
So the operation is successfully carried out and I wish a speedy recovery for that small princess.

The report doesn't mention the type of surgery.
But Normally heart surgery recovery will take many months for adults. Any one knows how much time it may take for children?

vibinrajmani
8th May 2010, 10:24 PM
According to the following Report

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2010/05/heart-surgery-ar-rahman-daughter.html

Raheema had undergone surgery on Wednesday.
May be Rahman's facebook update is after this.
So the operation is successfully carried out and I wish a speedy recovery for that small princess.

The report doesn't mention the type of surgery.
But Normally heart surgery recovery will take many months for adults. Any one knows how much time it may take for children?

Most likely I think Raheema might have had a congenital heart defect. So, it depends on what procedure was done on Raheema (open heart surgery or closed??). Generally, recovery time after a pediatric heart surgery can take anywhere from 8-12 weeks followed by visits to the cardiologist ranging anywhere from 6 months to an year.

A.ANAND
9th May 2010, 05:27 PM
[tscii:39c6fc0195]AR Rahman daughter Raheema to be discharged in 24 hours!! [08 May 2010] A R Rahman, the Oscar winning music maestro, whose 11- year -old daughter, Raheema, had been admitted to Mumbai¡¯s Asian Heart Institute due to some cardiac problem, is out of danger and likely to be discharged after keeping her under expert eyes for one more day.

Earlier, Rahman had shifted her young daughter from Chennai to Bandra¡¯s hospital after doctors advised him to do so for better facilities. The young girl has responded well to treatment and is on the road to recovery. However, as the cardiac problem she is suffering from is congenital, the recovery is bound to be slow.

In fact, the baby was detected with this problem around eight years back, and since then has been under medical supervision. A doting father, A R Rahman, has already cancelled all his appointments for this month to be with his daughter, Raheema, all the time.

Besides, Raheema, the ace composer is also father of a son and a daughter. While the son is younger to Raheema, the other daughter is senior to her. It was at the age of five that Rahman¡¯s son, Ameen, made his singing debut with a Hollywood flick, for which Rahman composed music.

It was Rahman¡¯s music in ¡®Slumdog Millionaire¡¯ that fetched the flick an Oscar and several other trophies from all over the world. His composition ¡®Jai Ho¡¯ got the popularity world over and also made Frieda Pinto, Dev Patel international stars.

However, Rahamn is a very private person and wants to keep away from the limelight, especially, in his personal life and has appealed to the media to respect his sentiments.

-- k k rai[/tscii:39c6fc0195]

MADDY
9th May 2010, 07:41 PM
Raheema will become completely alright - she has all our prayers

baroque
10th May 2010, 07:56 AM
wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.
Just listening to O paalanhaare......LAGAAN while driving this evening.
amazingly arranged bhajan dripping with classicism & peace!
You spread love with your music and our wishes are always with you, Rahman!
It isn't always easy when you have a stressful time... but it always helps to know many people care about you and your family.
Rahman, Please don't forget to take care of yourself this stressful period.
As a parent you need to take care of yourself to care for your daughter & your family.
Make sure that you are getting enough rest & eat healthy
Bhaiya, bust stress with exercise.
love,
vinatha.

A.ANAND
11th May 2010, 04:00 PM
ரஹ்மான் இசையமைத்த செம்மொழி மாநாட்டுப் பாடல் 15-ம் தேதி வெளியீடு

சென்னை: கோவையில் நடைபெறும் உலக தமிழ் செம்மொழி மாநாட்டிற்காக முதல்வர் கருணாநிதி எழுதி ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான் இசையமைத்த 'செம்மொழி மாநாட்டு மைய நோக்குப் பாடல்' சி.டி. சென்னையில் 15-ந்தேதி வெளியிடப்படுகிறது.

உலகத் தமிழ்செம்மொழி மாநாடு கோவையில் அடுத்த மாதம் (ஜுன்) 23-ந்தேதி தொடங்கி 27-ந்தேதி வரை 5 நாட்கள் நடக்கிறது.

செம்மொழி மாநாட்டை மையப்படுத்தி மைய நோக்கு பாடல் (தீம் சாங்) உருவாக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது.

முதல்வர் கருணாநிதி எழுதியுள்ள இந்த பாடலுக்கு ஆஸ்கார் நாயகன் ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான் இசையமைத்துள்ளார். இந்த பாடலை வரும் மே 15-ந் தேதி சென்னை பல்கலைக்கழகத்தில் நடைபெறும் விழாவில் வெளியிடுகிறார் முதல்வர் கருணாநிதி.

இசையமைப்பாளர் எல்.சுப்பிரமணியம் சி.டி.யை பெற்றுக்கொள்கிறார். விழாவில் செய்தித்துறை அமைச்சர் பரிதி இளம்வழுதி, இசையமைப்பாளர் ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான், இயக்குநர் கவுதம் வாசுதேவ் மேனன் உள்பட பலர் கலந்துகொள்கிறார்கள்.

விழா ஏற்பாடுகளைப் பார்வையிட்ட கனிமொழி

இந்தப் பாடல் வெளியிடப்பட உள்ள சென்னை பல்கலைக்கழக நூற்றாண்டு விழா மண்டபத்தில் சினிமா ஆர்ட் டைரக்டர் ராஜீவன் பிரமாண்டமாக செட் அமைத்துள்ளார்.

மேடை அமைப்பு மற்றும் பணிகளை கவிஞர் கனிமொழி எம்.பி. நேற்று ஆய்வு செய்தார்.

பிறப்பொக்கும்...

உலகத் தமிழ் செம்மொழி மாநாட்டிற்காக முதல்வர் கருணாநிதி எழுதியுள்ள அந்தப் பாடல்:

பிறப்பொக்கும் எல்லா உயிர்க்கும் -

பிறந்த பின்னர், யாதும் ஊரே, யாவரும் கேளிர்

உண்பது நாழி உடுப்பது இரண்டே

உறைவிடம் என்பது ஒன்றேயென

உரைத்து வாழ்ந்தோம் -

உழைத்து வாழ்வோம்

தீதும் நன்றும் பிறர் தர வாரா எனும்

நன் மொழியே நம் பொன் மொழியாம்

போரைப் புறம் தள்ளி

பொருளைப் பொதுவாக்கவே

அமைதி வழி காட்டும்

அன்பு மொழி

அய்யன் வள்ளுவரின் வாய்மொழியாம்

ஓரறிவு முதல் ஆறறிவு உயிரினம் வரையிலே

உணர்ந்திடும் உடலமைப்பை பகுத்துக் கூறும்

ஓல்காப் புகழ் தொல்காப்பியமும்

ஒப்பற்ற குறள் கூறும் உயர் பண்பாடு

ஒலிக்கின்ற சிலம்பும், மேகலையும்

சிந்தாமணியுடனே வளையாபதி குண்டலகேசியும்

செம்மொழியான நம் தமிழ் மொழியாம்

அகமென்றும் புறமென்றும் வாழ்வை

அழகாக வகுத்தளித்து

ஆதி அந்தமிலாது இருக்கின்ற இனியமொழி -

ஓதி வளரும் உயிரான உலக மொழி -

நம்மொழி நம் மொழி - அதுவே

செம்மொழி - செம்மொழி - நம் தமிழ் மொழியாம்

வாழிய வாழியவே வாழிய வாழியவே வாழிய வாழியவே

MADDY
11th May 2010, 09:06 PM
ARR's autobiography coming soon:

http://entertainment.in.msn.com/bollywood/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3899124

satissh_r
11th May 2010, 09:19 PM
from Rakesh Omprakash Mehra's interview in Indiafm

Your films have always been musicals. What about Bhaag Milkha Bhaag?

It's a musical. A R Rahman is doing the music. I've met him told him the
subject. It's a completely new territory for me. Rahman has traveled many
universes. I want to reach Milkha's story to reach every part of the world. I
want Milkha's story, told in Hindi-Punjabi to be dubbed in French, Polish, etc.
This would be my most ambitious project striving to break linguistic barriers.
Milkha's story has a universal resonance. It's an Indian story but very
universal. We want Milkha Singh's story to go out to the world.

Full read here : http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/features/2010/05/11/6224/index.html

ajaybaskar
13th May 2010, 10:04 AM
Snippets on the Tamizh Semmozhi Maanadu Song....

* 'Pirappokkum Ella Uyirukkum' is the opening line of the Song. It has been penned by Kalaignar.

* It has a lengthy singers list. T.M.S, P Suseela, ARR, Yuvan, Hariharan, Sowmiya, Nithyasree, Naresh Iyer, Chinmayee, G.V Prakash, A.R Raihanah, Srinivas, Benny Dayal, Tanvi Shah and few more renowned singers in the tamil music industry.

* TMS and ARR shared great vibes during the recording of the Song which took Place in AM studios. ARR was left speechless on seeing the commitment shown by the 87 year old TMS.

* The music video of the Song was directed by Gautham Menon in the VGP golden beach with all the singers lined up before the huge words 'Semmozhiyaana Tamilmozhiyae'.

* Gautham Menon expressed confidence that this song would attain the same stature of 'We are the world' by late MJ.

satissh_r
13th May 2010, 10:15 AM
Snippets on the Tamizh Semmozhi Maanadu Song....

* 'Pirappokkum Ella Uyirukkum' is the opening line of the Song. It has been penned by Kalaignar.

* It has a lengthy singers list. T.M.S, P Suseela, ARR, Yuvan, Hariharan, Sowmiya, Nithyasree, Naresh Iyer, Chinmayee, G.V Prakash, A.R Raihanah, Srinivas, Benny Dayal, Tanvi Shah and few more renowned singers in the tamil music industry.

* TMS and ARR shared great vibes during the recording of the Song which took Place in AM studios. ARR was left speechless on seeing the commitment shown by the 87 year old TMS.

* The music video of the Song was directed by Gautham Menon in the VGP golden beach with all the singers lined up before the huge words 'Semmozhiyaana Tamilmozhiyae'.

* Gautham Menon expressed confidence that this song would attain the same stature of 'We are the world' by late MJ.

:clap: :notworthy: Eppo TV la poduvangalam?

ajaybaskar
13th May 2010, 10:18 AM
Prob from May 15th, Kalaignar tv is gonna be set ablazed with this Song...

satissh_r
13th May 2010, 10:24 AM

Vande Matharam vantha pudhusula ella channelayum pottu thakkina mathiri poduvangalo? Anyways, Good for us :D

Kambar_Kannagi
13th May 2010, 10:30 AM

TMS is there but PBS is not... :sigh2:

lancelot
13th May 2010, 10:57 AM
anyone know anything about the new Ashutosh Gowariker movie Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey staring Abhishek Bachchan and Deepika Padukone?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637691/

ajaybaskar
13th May 2010, 10:59 AM
All i know abt the movie is that Sohail Sen is the composer.

lancelot
13th May 2010, 11:30 AM
All i know abt the movie is that Sohail Sen is the composer.

oh :( IMDb says AR Rahman. but why? i thought Ashutosh Gowariker always goes with ARR

ajaybaskar
13th May 2010, 11:49 AM
That's probably due to the non availability of ARR's dates. Even AG's previous film 'Whats your rashee?' was composed by Sen.

raghavendran
13th May 2010, 03:01 PM
That's probably due to the non availability of ARR's dates. Even AG's previous film 'Whats your rashee?' was composed by Sen.thnk god arr didnt...otherwise another bollywood cra[ for arr

rayan36
13th May 2010, 05:13 PM

wuhoo!!! finally a non movie tamil project...

satissh_r
14th May 2010, 10:31 AM
Hindustan Times Interview ->

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arrahmanfans/4604964831/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arrahmanfans/4604964835/

littlemaster1982
14th May 2010, 10:58 AM
:ty: Satissh.

K
14th May 2010, 11:28 AM
http://charuonline.com/blog/?p=479

Action

http://mayilravanan.blogspot.com/2010/05/s.html

Reaction

littlemaster1982
14th May 2010, 01:33 PM
K,

Please don't post the same thing in all threads. People will certainly read your posts.

lancelot
14th May 2010, 02:06 PM
K,

Please don't post the same thing in all threads. People will certainly read your posts.

unless they don't know Tamil :)

lancelot
14th May 2010, 02:52 PM
SINGAM by A R Rahman???? WHAT????

http://www.tamilmp3world.com/

littlemaster1982
14th May 2010, 02:57 PM
That's a goof :lol:

lancelot
14th May 2010, 03:01 PM
ya. thats why am angry... that also for a DSP album.. iooo thaanga mudiyalla :(

K
14th May 2010, 03:04 PM
K,

S, Thank U, Oru aarvathula......

AravindMano
15th May 2010, 06:09 PM
The Semmozhi Maanaadu song release is now running live on Podhigai.

ajaybaskar
15th May 2010, 06:13 PM
Worst coverage by Kalaignar TV. Instead of showing the visuals, they are showing the interview of one Vasanthi Stanley..

Mahen
15th May 2010, 06:58 PM

How is it? :)

ajaybaskar
15th May 2010, 07:33 PM
Good. Could listen to the song only once though...

Mahen
15th May 2010, 07:36 PM
Good. Could listen to the song only once though...

Thanks..do post links if available :)

gurusaravanan
15th May 2010, 10:42 PM
tamil semmozhi maanadu my frnd watching lively

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktK2m--Votc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ocQy8GcWF8&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVMyIL474xM&feature=channel

AravindMano
16th May 2010, 12:19 PM

How is it? :)

Mahen - I couldn't listen to it keenly, there is builiding demolishing going on nearby, could spot Susheela's & Rahman's voice. It should have been great :)

baba88
16th May 2010, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TsgrJSEQho

shocker
16th May 2010, 05:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O12D0pxt_UE

Awesome song...this is the kind of level ARR is usually on...

Mahen
16th May 2010, 08:30 PM
:shock: Amazing stuff :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Make sure Anban listens to this :D

vibinrajmani
16th May 2010, 10:00 PM
Guys, any links for the full mp3 version? Thanks :D

shocker
16th May 2010, 10:46 PM
Blaaze was a bit unnecessary...

Kumarappa
16th May 2010, 11:02 PM
Great song! :clap: Goose bumps though it was bad quality (the first link!). But some voices are :? Blaaze's rap in particular and that female voices towards end (Shruthi Haasan? :roll:)

gurusaravanan
16th May 2010, 11:20 PM
tamil anthem HQ audio ARR rockzzzzzzzzzzzz
http://rapidshare.com/files/387904265/Tamil_Semmozhi_Manadu_Anthem_A.R.R_Uyirvani.com_rA aHuL.mp3

ajaybaskar
16th May 2010, 11:21 PM
Thanx GS...

vibinrajmani
16th May 2010, 11:32 PM
tamil anthem HQ audio ARR rockzzzzzzzzzzzz
http://rapidshare.com/files/387904265/Tamil_Semmozhi_Manadu_Anthem_A.R.R_Uyirvani.com_rA aHuL.mp3

Thanks bro, you made my day :thumbsup:

Ramakrishna
16th May 2010, 11:51 PM
i couldn't recognise Yuvan's part. The song is great.

Scale
17th May 2010, 02:00 AM

பிறந்த பின்னர் - TMS

யாதும் ஊரே, யாவரும் கேளிர் - ARR

உண்பது நாழி உடுப்பது இரண்டே- Sowmya

உறைவிடம் என்பது ஒன்றேயென - Chinmayi

உரைத்து வாழ்ந்தோம் - உழைத்து வாழ்வோம் - Srinivas?

நன் மொழியே நம் பொன் மொழியாம் - Hariharan

போரைப் புறம் தள்ளி பொருளைப் பொதுவாக்கவே - YSR?

அமைதி வழி காட்டும்அன்பு மொழி
அய்யன் வள்ளுவரின் வாய்மொழியாம் - Chorus

செம்மொழியான தமிழ் மொழியாம் - ARR, Chorus - YSR, AR Raihana

உணர்ந்திடும் உடலமைப்பை பகுத்துக் கூறும் 1 - Srinivas, 2 - P Suseela

ஒப்பற்ற குறள் கூறும் உயர் பண்பாடு - Benny Dayal

ஒலிக்கின்ற சிலம்பும், மேகலையும் - GV Prakash

சிந்தாமணியுடனே (Chorus) வளையாபதி குண்டலகேசியும் - ??

செம்மொழியான நம் தமிழ் மொழியாம் - ARR, alaap - Nityashree & her patti ?

The Blaaze & Shruthi/Tanvi? lyrics part is missing

செம்மொழியான நம் தமிழ் மொழியாம் (Chorus...)

அழகாக வகுத்தளித்து - PBS :notworthy:

ஆதி அந்தமிலாது இருக்கின்ற இனியமொழி - Naresh Iyer
ஓதி வளரும் உயிரான உலக மொழி - 1- Srinivas ? 2- Seerkazhi Siva Sidambaram ?

நம்மொழி நம் மொழி - அதுவே :notworthy:

செம்மொழி - செம்மொழி - நம் தமிழ் மொழியாம் - Shruthi/Tanvi? again.. ARR/Chorus
வாழிய வாழியவே வாழிய வாழியவே வாழிய வாழியவே - ARR

Scale
17th May 2010, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the lyrics Anand! Still there are lot of unrecognizable voices. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hooked!

baroque
17th May 2010, 06:52 AM
thank you very much for the music.
rag usage / aalaap in places gives me the urge to listen சூலம் பிடித்து எம பாசம் சுழற்றி தொடர்ந்து வரும் காலன் தனக்கு ஒருக்காலும் அஞ்சேன் .... கந்தர் அலங்காரம் விருத்தம் ....ராக பிலஹரி.
rap part and no Shri.Bala in the composition.. :roll: didn't expect
loving it.
beautiful bgm....
it is
யாதும் ஊரே யாவரும் கேளிர்....
is he singing as 'keleeer'(hear,கேள்)?
Elongation in 'ee' changes the meaning of the word, Bhaiyaa.
it is not கேளீர் (keleer )
'every place is my home town, everyone is my kin(family)'
(I am no expert)
Expecting a nice video from GM.
thanks, vinatha.

music man
17th May 2010, 07:30 AM
Great composition...Vintage ARR stuff....

Scale
17th May 2010, 10:50 AM
yeah, right! Even TMS 'pinnar' was cut rushedly. SPB missing how come? Sure, ARR would have approached him.

PBS entry gives me goosebumps. Vintage ARR Stuff!

From the chorus the solo entry of alaap aah..... and that one line is mesmerising. "enna kuralpa, enna bhaavam, Wah!" <Rajnikanth>

Dragun
17th May 2010, 10:50 AM
Blaaze part was awful. Not feeling the Benny Dayal part either. I wish ARR could have gotten IR and MSV to sing for this as well.

Scale
17th May 2010, 10:55 AM
6 mins is too short when you have so many singers. Expecting the video.

ajaybaskar
18th May 2010, 03:15 PM
LEGAL DOWNLOAD LINK FOR THE SEMMOZHI MAANADU ANTHEM

http://www.arrahman.com/v2/discography/singles-semmozhi.html

Yathu
18th May 2010, 05:53 PM
Great track!

Anthems & inspiriational tracks = ARR. :D

Parthyy
18th May 2010, 06:25 PM
Haven't heard the song yet...........
how is it ..
will be like another master piece of rahman like vande matharam,one love

ajaybaskar
18th May 2010, 07:50 PM
The first 3 seconds of the track is similar to the Lebara mobile theme. Did anybody notice?

baba88
18th May 2010, 09:17 PM
This theme song sounds like the Dam Dara Dam Dare Maste Maste from Guru. I feel like its the same melody.

Rocky89
18th May 2010, 09:52 PM

Karthik, boss :D

Rocky89
18th May 2010, 09:54 PM
Great song, goosebumps all over :clap: :notworthy:

Blaaze was unnecessary though :oops:

Scale
18th May 2010, 10:41 PM
Pardon me, lot of wild guessing.

Interesting to explore the credits Aruna Sairam, TM Krishnan, Susheela Raman, Kash, Gunasekaran, Chinna ponnu. Nagoor brothers? Amazing, how ARR managed to get all these singers. Would be great if we could get their exact part.

raghavendran
19th May 2010, 09:05 AM
sivamani tweets abt endhiran songs
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jqYblKkWqjA/S-9wWs8jAHI/AAAAAAAAA30/QBMRP8G08lM/s1600/wqppcm.jpg

MADDY
19th May 2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.filmfare.com/articles/shekhar-kapurs-reveals-the-first-look-of-paani-at-cannes-908.html#comment

The Oscar winning music composer A.R.Rahman is composing the music of the film and has said to be completed two songs already for the magnimous project

raghavendran
19th May 2010, 06:04 PM
pls vote for arr....to win in iifa awards this yr
http://iifa.com/web07/cntnt/iifa.htm

Benny Lava
19th May 2010, 07:41 PM

Raghavendran, trust me Thalaivar doesn't need campaigning at all to win :)

He has reached a stage where awards would mean much less to him :wink:

sathya_1979
19th May 2010, 08:53 PM

Raghavendran, trust me Thalaivar doesn't need campaigning at all to win :)

He has reached a stage where awards would mean much less to him :wink:
venaanga! Idha paathaa "Award mEl aasai illaadhor sangam" "Oscar = Maruti Car Sangam" pondra pala sangaththu aaLunga vandhu comedy seivaanga :lol:

K2AL
21st May 2010, 12:24 PM
A.R.Rahman's Twitter Account got Verified

http://twitter.com/arrahman

rajasaranam
22nd May 2010, 12:46 PM
Excellent promo for Rahmans Indo-Australia Peace Concert
http://www.arrahman.com/v2/jiyasejiya-concert-video.html
Well composed and choreographed And of course LittleMasters' beautiful singing :notworthy:

Appu s
22nd May 2010, 11:20 PM
Excellent promo for Rahmans Indo-Australia Peace Concert
http://www.arrahman.com/v2/jiyasejiya-concert-video.html
Well composed and choreographed And of course LittleMasters' beautiful singing :notworthy::ty:
If you don know the song composed for
Nokia connections album :D

Thiru
23rd May 2010, 08:47 PM

பிறந்த பின்னர் - TMS

யாதும் ஊரே, யாவரும் கேளிர் - ARR

உண்பது நாழி உடுப்பது இரண்டே- Sowmya

உறைவிடம் என்பது ஒன்றேயென - Chinmayi

நன் மொழியே நம் பொன் மொழியாம் - Hariharan

போரைப் புறம் தள்ளி பொருளைப் பொதுவாக்கவே - YSR?

அமைதி வழி காட்டும்அன்பு மொழி
அய்யன் வள்ளுவரின் வாய்மொழியாம் - Chorus

செம்மொழியான தமிழ் மொழியாம் - ARR, Chorus - YSR, AR Raihana

உணர்ந்திடும் உடலமைப்பை பகுத்துக் கூறும் 1 - Srinivas, 2 - P Suseela

ஒப்பற்ற குறள் கூறும் உயர் பண்பாடு - Benny Dayal

ஒலிக்கின்ற சிலம்பும், மேகலையும் - GV Prakash

சிந்தாமணியுடனே (Chorus) வளையாபதி குண்டலகேசியும் - ??

செம்மொழியான நம் தமிழ் மொழியாம் - ARR, alaap - Nityashree & her patti ?

The Blaaze & Shruthi/Tanvi? lyrics part is missing

செம்மொழியான நம் தமிழ் மொழியாம் (Chorus...)

அழகாக வகுத்தளித்து - PBS :notworthy:

ஆதி அந்தமிலாது இருக்கின்ற இனியமொழி - Naresh Iyer
ஓதி வளரும் உயிரான உலக மொழி - 1- Srinivas ? 2- Seerkazhi Siva Sidambaram ?

நம்மொழி நம் மொழி - அதுவே :notworthy:

செம்மொழி - செம்மொழி - நம் தமிழ் மொழியாம் - Shruthi/Tanvi? again.. ARR/Chorus
வாழிய வாழியவே வாழிய வாழியவே வாழிய வாழியவே - ARR

I doubt if porai puram thalli is by YSR alone. it sounds more like ARR to me..

sinthamaniyudane - valayapathi kundala kesiyum - T.L. Maharajan..

agamendrum puramendrum is definitely not by PBS... I think its T.M. Krishnan..

The last tamizh mozhiyaam engal thamizh mozhiyaam is by Raihannah/chinna ponnu...

Scale
24th May 2010, 12:00 AM
I somehow figured out when I came to know the credits. :ty:

Initially I do felt it as ARR. But this is the only part I could guess YSR, sometimes they both sound same.

rayan36
24th May 2010, 12:31 PM
is there gonna be any official release for the song?

raghavendran
26th May 2010, 09:09 AM
arr stealing the show in ipl awards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYAw31nS1c

ajaybaskar
28th May 2010, 12:57 PM
[tscii:9eab340257]Bollywood composer seeks global pop stardom

By JACOB ADELMAN, Associated Press Writer Jacob Adelman, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 5 mins ago

BURBANK, Calif. – With scores of dancers moving in unison atop trains, singing amid ancient ruins and running across cricket fields, the average Bollywood production is a grand spectacle.

Taking such a show on the road would seem to require significant downsizing. Not for A.R. Rahman, who garnered worldwide exposure with his Academy Award-winning score to "Slumdog Millionaire. "

The Indian film composer is trying to orchestrate his own rise to international stardom by making his production even bigger to dazzle audiences in massive concert venues across the Western Hemisphere with elaborate stage shows teeming with dancers, acrobats and high-tech lighting.

The tour begins June 11 at New York's Nassau Coliseum and wends through North America and Europe before ending at London's Wembley Stadium in late July, with ticket prices for the roughly three-hour-long shows ranging from $45 to $1,000.

Through the concerts, Rahman is attempting something many performers from outside the English-speaking world have tried and failed to do: transcend a regional, ethnic niche and become an international mainstream superstar.

"My core audiences are from India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh and the Middle East and all those people, so after 'Slumdog Millionaire, ' we wanted audiences from the U.S. and Europe," Rahman said, seated in a vast rehearsal hall in an industrial part of the San Fernando Valley.

In a music scene dominated by lithe 20-something songstresses and frenetic hip-hop collectives, the soft-spoken 44-year-old, with his squat, sparkplug-shaped physique and shaggy, brushed-back black coiffure, might seem an unlikely candidate for sustained Western pop stardom.

During an interview in a room dominated by a towering drum kit, Rahman cast longing glances at the piano beside him, looking like he'd rather be alone with the keyboard than at the center of this frantic pre-tour bustle.

"I'm an introvert, actually," he said, then corrected himself, "I was an introvert, rather."

He's also rowing against a tide that has capsized other non-Western stars who attempted to find a place in a global pop pantheon dominated by European and American performers.

The Japanese singing duo Puffy had big plans when they played their first U.S. concerts at the beginning of the decade, but they got little for their troubles beyond a cease and desist letter from lawyers for Sean Combs, aka Puff Daddy.

And does anyone remember Rain, the Korean pop idol who planned to take on America with a U.S. tour and a supporting role in the 2008 action film "Speed Racer"? (Does anyone even remember "Speed Racer"?)

But Rahman is off to a hopeful start.

His music is ubiquitous in his native India, where he is acclaimed for crafting moving movie music with global influences that appeal to contemporary Indian listeners for more than 100 films.

"He has supplied the soundtrack for a whole generation," TV chef Padma Lakshi wrote in an appreciation for Time magazine, which named Rahman one of the 100 most influential people of 2009.

India's Congress party even adopted the song "Jai Ho," from the "Slumdog" soundtrack, as the anthem for its 2009 campaign, from which it emerged as the election's top vote getter.

Outside India, Rahman has played sold-out shows in ethnic Indian enclaves, while his percussion-driven score of plaintive crescendo-climbing wails and sultry warbles lured some 150,000 North American viewers to the 2001 film "Lagaan," a nearly four-hour-long epic about cricket.

The success of the "Slumdog" soundtrack, which earned Rahman two Academy Awards and two Grammys and sold nearly 400,000 copies in the United States, has given him a platform to continue building his mainstream appeal.

"People from all over the world really respond and resonate to his music," said John Beasley, the concert tour's music director.

Beasley oversees the tour's 20-person coterie of flutists, cellists, tambura-strummers, singers and other music-makers, some of whom have played with Lionel Richie, Fleetwood Mac, Alanis Morissette and other Western pop stars. Beasley himself is a veteran of Miles Davis' musical entourage.

The musicians are elements of a stage show that also includes four troupes of dancers, each of which will strut the stage deploying an entirely different style of choreography.

All the while, a high-tech projection rig that's only been used before in standalone light shows will throw three-dimensional renderings of the Himalayas, the Ganges River and the slums of Mumbai onto the stage.

The shows will also feature Cirque du Soleil acrobats, including a Mongolian contortionist who has reworked her act into a display of extreme Indian yoga.

"It's a merging of cultures," said the show's artistic director Amy Tinkham, who has presided over tours for Britney Spears, Mariah Carey and other high-caliber acts. "It's very East-meets-West in a very spectacular way."

Ananda Mitra, a Wake Forest University communications professor and author of the book "India through the Western Lens," said that East-meets-West sensibility has always been a key to Rahman's success.

"He's able to create a sound which is appealing not only to those whose ears are attuned to traditional Indian film music, but also to ears that are attuned to Western pop," Mitra said.

Rahman's art grew in the petri dish of an increasingly internationally minded India, which began its rapid globalization during a series of economic reforms that began in the late 1980s, Mitra said.

Indians suddenly found it just as easy to buy ABBA or Bee Gees cassettes as it was to get sitar-driven Hindi classical music or folk-inflected film scores.

Mitra said Rahman has been particularly adept at fusing the two musical cultures, which puts him in good stead to be an international star.

"What Rahman is doing is saying, 'We don't have to think just about the Indians. There is an opportunity to globalize this music,'" Mitra said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100527/ap_en_mu/us_film_bollywood_on_tour[/tscii:9eab340257]

ajaybaskar
28th May 2010, 01:00 PM
[tscii:294b42efe0]Bond with the best

Priyanka Pereira

When music and fashion get together, they can create some serious magic. Enchanting us this time around is Ritu Beri who has designed AR Rahman’s wardrobe for AR Rahman Jai Ho The Journey Home World Tour 2010, which commences on June 11 in New York. “It’s been my most thrilling experience to date,” exclaims Beri, who first met the musical genius when she was signed on to design his outfits for the tour. “Of course, I knew who Rahman was. But after meeting him, I have realised how humble and down-to-earth he is,” gushes Beri.

The designer, who had barely a month to get the costumes ready, had to design 34 different looks for Rahman and also his group of artistes, musicians and the dance troupe all of who will be travelling with him. Befitting the grandeur of the sets and the occasion, Beri has designed unique LED costumes for the team. “When I started working on the looks, I realised that Rahman was not the one for flashy colours,” she says. But Beri was clear in her head that she wanted Rahman to sport looks which he hadn’t so far. “This time Rahman has experimented. He has been more fun and more adventurous,” says Beri, who got him into ethnic wear for the song Khwaja Mere Khawaja from the film Jodhaa Akbar. For another number, Rahman is dressed like Michael Jackson, and this surely has been his boldest look, feels one of the country’s best couturiers.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/bond-with-the-best/624218/[/tscii:294b42efe0]