Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

kugan98
13th November 2009, 05:50 PM
Maampazha Pulliseeri

Ingredients:
2 cups ripe mango pieces
1cup yogurt
1/2cup grated coconut
5 green chillies (more or less to your taste)
tsp tumeric powder
tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1 sprig curry leaves.
2 tbs coconut oil

Method:
Cook the mango pieces with a cup of water,salt and tumeric powder
on medium heat for about 5 to 6 minutes.
Meanwhile grind the coconut, the green chillies, with little yogurt.
To make a thick smooth puree.
Stir the puree into the cooking mangoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
Beat the remaining yogurt with a large spoon to make a smooth liquid.
Pour this over the mango pieces.
When the liquid in the pot starts bubbling, remove it from the stove.
Pour the oil in a pan and temper with the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pour the tempering into the pulliseeri, stir gently.
Set aside for few minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Serve with rice.

[html:6273c73fb4]
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7479/mangot.jpg
[/html:6273c73fb4]

kugan98
13th November 2009, 06:03 PM
Tips for sugar syrups.

Basic Sugar Syrup preparation:

Mix enough water to cover the sugar. Heat it to dissolve slowly , stirring in between. Do not allow it to boil until completely dissolved. Once the sugar is biliong, do not stir more; If any crystals are formed at the sides of the pan, wipe it with a cloth dipped in warm water. Over stirring will affect the consistency of the sugar syrup while boiling . Boil the syrup in steady temperature

Sugar Syrup Consistencies:

Thin Syrup : Syrup gets a shine and the sugar is dissolved completely

Sticky Syrup: Dip your forefinger in the syrup after dipping it in cold water; When you rub thumb over fore finger it feels sticky.

Half thread consistency: String is formed when tested between thumb and forefinger ,but it will cut immediately.

One thread consistency: Thin string is formed when tested between thumb and forefinger.

Two thread consistency: When tested between fingers, two threads are formed.

2 1/2 - 3 thread consistency: when tested between thumb and forefinger, string appears in 2 or 3 places.

Gathered consistency: When a little syrup is poured over water, it settles down below the water. It can be gathered by hand.

Ball consistency: When syrup is poured over water , a smalll ball is formed when rolled with fingers, and should be hard enough.(Soft or hard depending upon the sweet)

Crack consistency: When a little syrup is poured over water, it becomes hard (No cracks to Brittle consistency)

Caramel consistency: Sugar syrup changes to a golden brown to a dark brown colour.

kugan98
13th November 2009, 06:23 PM
[tscii]his is a simple satisfying and nutritious way of cooking greens with tuvaram dhal. It is delicious with rice or chappaties. Pour a spoonful of pure melted ghee over each serving of hot sauce. The children will love this.

Tuvaram Dhal And Greens Creamy Sauce

Ingredients

1 cup tuvaram dhal
2 big handfuls of greens, after picking of the stalks.
( parupu keerai,methi kerrai, spinach or any of your choice )
2 onions, chopped into tiny bits.
4 pods of garlic peeled
2 green chillies,slit into haves
1 tomato chopped into tiny bits
2 tsp thick tamarind juice
1 dried red chillie broken into 2 pieces
tsp of mustard seeds
tsp of jeera
tsp of tumeric powder
1 tbs of ghee
1 tsp of oil
salt to taste

Method:
Clean the greens and chop into shreads.
Add 1 cup of dhal with tsp of tumeric and 1 tsp of oil in 6 cups of boiling water. Cook till the dhal turns soft.
Add the greens, chopped onions,slit green chillies,peeled garlic,all to the boiled dhal. If the mixture is too thick, add cup of hot water. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tamarind juice, salt to taste,and boil till the greens are cooked. ( not over cooked )
Pour the top thin dhal – greens liquid only,into another vessal. Mash the residual thick dhal,greens, and tomato,till creamy smooth, with the wooden dhal spoon churner. (It's tasty done this way, or use your mixie )
Pour back the top thin dhal water into the mashed mixture.
Heat a wok and pour in the 1 tbs of ghee. When it turns hot, add the tsp of mustard seeds, when they stop spluttering, add the jeera and the broken dried chillies. When the chillie turns crisp, pour in the dhal mixture. Stir once thoroughly and dish out.

[html:56eec52e25]
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3353/keerai.jpg
[/html:56eec52e25]

Selviem
13th November 2009, 06:25 PM
kugan,
nice tips for preparing sugar syrup. always i make mistake in that. ur tips will be helpful for me a lot.

sure kugan, i will post my version of paruppu urundai kulambu very soon. actually i steam the paruppu urundai and then i will add in the curry.

selvi

Selviem
13th November 2009, 06:26 PM
kugan ,
can u plz. tell me how to post the photos.

selvi

kugan98
13th November 2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks Selviem, I will soon let you know
how to post the pictures.
That will be great with pictures.
Thanks selviem. Kugan98

NOV
13th November 2009, 07:06 PM
can u plz. tell me how to post the photos.
Dear Selvi

First you need to open an account with any image host site, like photobucket, tinypic, etc.

Next take the pic of your cooking and upload to your computer.

Then log on to your image account and upload pic from your computer.

After that post the link here. Only moderators can enable your pics.

The most convenient way is to post in the following format:

[ht ml] copy/paste your link here [/ht ml] ... without any space

And the mods will take care when they visit the thread next. :)

dev
13th November 2009, 07:52 PM
K, Tuvaram Dhal And Greens Creamy Sauce looks very good. I use the same ingre(except tamarind-I add more tomatoes) but I pressurecook everything togerther & just season it atlast & give a boil. will try ur method aswell.

Selviem
14th November 2009, 05:37 AM
thanks kugan

Selviem
14th November 2009, 05:38 AM
dev,

thank u so much for ur explanation. so kind og u. let me try.

selvi

dev
14th November 2009, 02:55 PM
Does anyone here have a recipe using carrot leaves?... I bought a bunch of fresh carrots with leaves on...if u have any interesting recipes using it, pls post it...

suvai
14th November 2009, 07:21 PM
oh wowwwww!!! ethanai recipes iruku namba try panna......thank u ladies!!!

kugan nga........thank u soooo very much for the parupu urundai kuzhambu.........ingri is different from what i have......iniki try pannitu solaren.....thank u nga once again.

dev......so left over rice soaking in puli thanni wont it become very soggy? Frying the rice for approximately how long? This puli saadam sounds perfecttttttt to make with left over rice....never have i heard about this method...thank u....plz do post the rest of the recipes u have mentioned (kongu)

selvi.....plz do post yr parupu urundai kuzhambu too & thanks in advance.

kugan / dev.... have u heard about "karupatti Dosai" just read in a mag & am curious to know the recipe.......

suvai
14th November 2009, 07:24 PM
vanakam dev!!
nalla irukeengala?
carot leaves : u can use it in adai / all mixed greens poriyal la kooda u can add / one of my friend she made chutney out of it....with garlic & without garlic...

suvai
14th November 2009, 07:26 PM
vanakam nov ngov!

dinner aachungala? enna saapiteengo!
picture oda asathunga (mudinja) ;-)

suvai
14th November 2009, 07:28 PM
kugan....how did u get yr Tuvaram Dhal And Greens Creamy Sauce dry?...looks like a perfect side dish for chapathi or even with rice......awesome....naakellaam orikitey iruku kugan thread ku vanthaaaa......;-)

dev
14th November 2009, 07:47 PM
Suvai, u have to extract a thick tamarind juce. Rice wouldn't become soggy that way. Approx 3-4 mins fry panninaal podhum for a serving of 2. The more the rice, it'll take lil longer to get heated thoroughly. It'll stick to the bottom a bit... once that starts to happen,aprom oru 1 min fry panninaal podhum.

Will post the other kongu specialities soon. We use a masala powder for everyday cooking(for sambar,poriyals,pairisiyum paruppu rice etc). I'll have to post that recipe first coz I'm not sure of a good substitute for that powder. sambar pwd would be a close substitute I guess. I'll ask my ppl here abt the masala podi recipe and the substitutes & then post the recipes.

suvai
14th November 2009, 08:01 PM
:thumbsup: thanks dev........will look forward for the podi & then the recipes from kongu ;-)
omg ethanai vagai ethanai suvai...;-)

dev
14th November 2009, 08:07 PM
Suvai, I got the masala chilly pwd from mom. We call it molagu podi. The measurement is for 1 kg chillies. She's not able to tell the measurement for smaller qty as we always make it in bulk.

Kongunadu molagu podi or Kongu special masala powder:

Gundu milagai- 1 kg
cori seeds- 1/2 kg
jeera- 1/4 kg
peppercorns- 1/4 kg
fenugreek- 100g
Asafoetida block cut into small pieces- 50 g
gundu manjal(crushed) or turmeric powder-50 g
curry leaves - a handful.

Dry roast all these ingredients one by one until they become nice & brown and flavourful.let cool & powder. they usually machine grind it to get a fine powder. Let cool.
if using turmeric pwd, no need to roast it.
make sure asafoetida is well roasted(becomes whitish)
Pepeprcorns must splutter.

Dry roast 50 g mustard seeds and powder it well in the mixie. Add it to the above powder.

Heat 50 ml castor oil & wait till it cools down. Mix with the above powder & once cool put it in a clean bottle. The powder will last for more than a year without getting spoilt if all the masalas are roasted right, ie until they r brown.

suvai
14th November 2009, 08:14 PM
ohhh thanks dev & dev's amma!!!

very different podi thaan for sure especially the alavu....will surely try it dev......
tell me castor oil....inga kidaikarthu is not very good...can i use nallenai? ask amma & let me know plz & thanks....

dev
14th November 2009, 08:34 PM
This dish is fav of almost everyone from the kongu region. There are many variations to it. Today I'm posting the basic recipe. there r such fans for this dish that it's called kongu biriyani coz we ppl can eat this for all 3 meals ;) & we never complain even if it's done 2-3 times a week. This is one quick, easy,healthy,tasty dish.

Arisiyum paruppu saadham(Kongu special):

1 1/2 cup rice(ponni rice aka pulungal arisi)
1/2 cup thoor dhal
1 big onion(cut lengthwise) or 25 baby onions cut into 2 crosswise
10 cloves china garlic cut into 2 crosswise
Dry red chillies or green chillies or both- I use red chillies only
Seasoning:
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp jeera
curry leaves
turmeric pwd
kongu spl masala powder(sambar powder might be a good substitute I guess)
Salt

1.Soak rice & dhal for 15 mins)

2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds,let it splutter. Add 1/2 tsp jeera,curry leaves, chillies. fry for 10 secs.

3. Add the onions, garlic. mix well & fry for just about a minute just until the onions start to turn a lil transparent. no need of frying it for long.

4. Add in turmeric pwd & the kongu spl masala powder. mix well & imme add in the rice,dhal & enough water(abt 5 cups).Add salt & let it start to boil. Check the taste & adjust the masala pwd and salt.

5. Close the cooker & cook for 3 whistles. Let the steam release & then open the cooker and mix the rice gently but well.

We usually have 2 course with this rice.

First course - steaming Arisiyum paruppu saadham with coconut oil or ghee. I prefer coconut oil.
Second course- Arisiyum paruppu saadham with curd.

Accompaniments:
Appalam
Pickle
brinjal+potato poriyal(traditional combo with Arisiyum paruppu saadham)
Arthi's stuffed brinjals went well with these.

A salad made of finely chopped onions(1 big)+tomatoes(1/3 medium)+cori.leaves+salt+kongu masala pwd. Crush & mix it using ur hands.

dev
14th November 2009, 08:42 PM
Suvai, castor oil is used as a preservative here & she says it also gives a nice flavour to the podi. Mom has never used any other oil & so she's not sure abt using nallennai. sorry. Maybe I'll chk with someone else & let you know.

My guess is, since it's mainly used as a preservative, u can omit it if u making the pwd in small qty. Just put the pwd in a ziplock & keep it in the freezer.

suvai
14th November 2009, 08:54 PM
dev...will surely omit the oil part for the powder...thanks !

oh the kongu biriyani is new to me too.....when u say spl masala powder...is that the same powder recipe that u have posted above?

dev
14th November 2009, 09:03 PM
U r right Suvai...it's the same powder I've posted above...

Idhu per thaan Kongu Biriyani... but taste biriyani pola irukkadhu... only because of the popularity of this dish in kongu region, ppl call it Kongu biriyani... :)

suvai
14th November 2009, 09:04 PM
ohhh i c....i will surely try it...first podi panni vachikaren....;-)

got to go now dev.... hope all is well !!tc!

dev
14th November 2009, 09:12 PM
Brinjal-potato poriyal for arisiyum paruppu saadham:

1 medium sizes potato cut into bite sized pieces.
8 small brinjals cut into 4 long pieces. If brinjals are of medium size,cut into 6 pieces.

1.Heat oil. Splutter mustard. Add a tsp channa-urad dhal & let it turn golden. Add 1 slit g.chilly, curry leaves. mix.

2. Add 1/2 onion cut, mix well n saute till slightly golden.

3. Add in turmeric pwd, kongu spl masala pwd & mix.

4. Add in the vegs immediately & saute for 2 mins. Add salt, water. cover & cook till done & dry.

5. Add a tbsp of scrapped coconut & mix well.

Serve with Arisiyum paruppu saadham.

dev
14th November 2009, 09:13 PM
K..tc Suvai... Senju paarthittu sollunga...:)

Selviem
14th November 2009, 10:29 PM
Nov,
thanks for ur explanation. can we do in picasa3 . coz i have picasa3 with me,

selvi

suvai
15th November 2009, 05:15 AM
superb superb...kugan nga - parupu urundai kuzhambu....:-) thank u....this recipe is a keeper with the many others u have posted.

i also tried dev/yr salads.....beansprout/mango....came out very well.

will try out the kongu biriyani soon ;-)

suvai
15th November 2009, 05:16 AM
Selvi...good luck with the pictures !!

Selviem
15th November 2009, 07:03 AM
thanks suvai

dev
15th November 2009, 10:04 AM
Bayangara builtup kuduthitten...hope u like it Suvai... :shaking:

dev
15th November 2009, 10:23 AM
Greenmoong dhal:(pachchai payaru kadanjadhu)

1. Dry roast 1 cup g.m.dhal just until flavourful. No need to wait until it changes colour. Wash & soak it for 15-30 mins.

2. Heat a tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add 1/2 tsp jeera, 1 tsp crushed cori seeds(no need to powder it. Just crush till it breaks into 2-3 pieces).Fry till brownish.

3. Add slit green chillies to taste,curry leaves-a sprig,4 cloves garlic & 1 small onion chopped. Saute till the onions become translucent.

4. Add 1 small tomato chopped(optional) & cook till it turns pulpy. Add turmeric powder, salt & the dhal, enough water.Cook for 4 whistles. The dhal should be cooked until very soft & breaksup.

5. Once the steam is released, open the cooker & mash the dhal coarsely using a masher(we use somethind called maththu for mashing). The consistency of this dhal should be that of idli batter.

6. Serve with rice and ghee or coconut oil.

I prefer to add a spoonful of coconut oil after mashing the dhal.In that case, no need to add ghee or oil while serving.

dev
15th November 2009, 10:32 AM
Don't be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe. Give it a try & U'll be hooked. This dhal doesn't need any seasoning. Just a plain, simple recipe.

Uppu Paruppu:

1. Cook a cup of thoor dhal along with a1/2 tsp oil & turmeric pwd. Cook until soft & the dhal just starts to brekup. Don't let it cook too long ,or the dhal will become a paste. Mash the dhal lightly.

2. Add 1/2 medium onion chopped finely, 3 cloves garlic chopped finely, few curry leaves torn roughly,Kongu spl masala powder and salt. Cook for 5 mins. The dhal should be thick(of dosa batter consistency)

3. Switch off flame & add in chopped coriander leaves & a tbsp of ghee. Mix well.

4. Serve with rice & more ghee if u wish. Yum. Avarakkai porial goes well with this. U can prepare he poriyal the same way as mentioned in the brinjal-potato poriyal recipe.

Adding ghee to the dhal is a must(either as the last step or while serving). Don't ever think of skipping it.

dev
15th November 2009, 10:41 AM
This rice is called Thanni thaalicha saadham coz it like seasoning the water & cooking rice in . As simple as that. I call it mock arisiyum paruppu as it tastes similar to it.

Thanni thaalicha saadham(Kongu special):

1 cup rice(ponni rice aka pulungal arisi)
1 medium tomato chopped
Seasoning:
a small handful of channa dhal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp jeera
curry leaves
turmeric pwd
Salt

1.Soak rice for 15 mins

2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds,let it splutter. Add 1/2 tsp jeera,curry leaves, chillies. fry for 10 secs. Add the dhal & let it become golden brown.

3. Add the onions, garlic. mix well & fry for just about a minute just until the onions start to turn a lil transparent. no need of frying it for long.

4. Add in tomatoes, turmeric pwd & the kongu spl masala powder. Let it start to breakup.Now add in the rice,dhal & enough water(abt 2 1/2 cups).Add salt & let it start to boil. Check the taste & adjust the masala pwd and salt.

5. Close the cooker & cook for 3 whistles. Let the steam release & then open the cooker and mix the rice gently but well.

First course - steaming Arisiyum paruppu saadham with coconut oil or ghee. I prefer coconut oil.

Accompaniments:
Appalam
Pickle

kugan98
15th November 2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks NOV anneh for the method to upload the pictures.
Thanks again. kugan98

kugan98
15th November 2009, 12:32 PM
Suvai I too wanted to ask Dev about the rice
becoming soggy. Thanks for asking.
I will soon post the picture of the tamarind rice.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
15th November 2009, 12:38 PM
DEV, oru peria thanks. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Ennnudaiya talai sutri vittathu .
Nice recipes, I will try one by one and post the pictures.
Today I made your tamarind rice,
and Aarthii's kurma. Pictures coming soon.

Yesterday I made Selviem's sweet potato adai.
I also made sweet potato chapathi.
All pictures coming soon.

Thanks dev. Kugan98

kugan98
15th November 2009, 12:42 PM
Selviem, you can upload in picasa too.
I will gmail you how I do.
I will be a bit slow, more over I worry,
wheather you can understand my explaination.
Anyway let me try.
Thanks Selviem

Tried your sweet potato adai, it turned out great.
Thanks Selviem. Kugan98.

kugan98
15th November 2009, 12:44 PM
Kugan and Aarthi,

here is the receipe for sweet potato adai.

SWEET POTATO ADAI:
-----------------

Idli rice - 1 cup soaked for 4 hours
Sweet potato - 150 g boiled , peel and grate it nicely.

Grind the rice nicely in the mixier, batter should be thick. with this add 2 tblsp of grated coconut, onion -1 finely chopped, green chillies - 2 chopped,
curry leaves, coriander leaves - 1 tblsp each finely chopped.
salt - reqd.
Mix all the above nicely, then make flat shape and deep fry in oil.

Also we can shallow fry in dosa kallu also.

Kara chutney will be the side dish for this adai.

Selviem your sweet potato adai was very yummy.

[html:4c5e8c9f69]
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3705/sweetpotatoadai.jpg
[/html:4c5e8c9f69]

kugan98
15th November 2009, 12:57 PM
Friends I had remainder boiled sweet potato
after doing Selviem's adai.

I wanted to do some chapathi.
I put 1 1/2 cups of atta flour
1 cup of boiled mashed sweet potato, little salt.
Added enough water and kneaded to a soft dough.
Let it rest for 1/2 an hour.
When I made the chappathis, it came out very soft,
and puffed up very well.
Not sweet and went well with the side dish.
Thanks. Kugan98

Sweet Potato Chapathi:

[html:750f5f8d4b]
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4456/spchappathi.jpg
[/html:750f5f8d4b]

Aarthii
15th November 2009, 04:39 PM
Wow,so many recipes devka.Thanks for all the recipes.will try those one by one and will tell u the feedback.

Aarthii
15th November 2009, 04:42 PM
Kuganka,i tried ur rajma pulav for todays lunch.It came out very well. :) Thanks a lot for such a nice recipe.My lil prince liked it very much.Once again thanks a lot kuganka.

Aarthii
15th November 2009, 04:44 PM
Kuganka,sweet potato aadai and sweet potato chappati looks great.definitley going to give a try. :P Thanks a lot for u sweet involvement kuganka.Am so happy abt it. :)

Thanks for the sweet potato aadai recipe selvika.

kugan98
15th November 2009, 09:28 PM
This recipe comes handy on days when u have lots of leftover rice from lunch...Give this a try & U'll be hooked...

Tamarind rice(using leftover rice)

Extract tamarind juice(to tase) & mix it with the rice. Add salt aswell & leave it overnight or for atleast 8 hrs.

The next morning: heat oil, splutter some mustard seeds followed by channa & urad dhal...once they trun golden, add curry leaves, red chillies(broken) & green chillies(slit) to taste , asafoetida & fry for a few secs. Add onions cut into thin strips & saute just until it starts to turn slightly brown...I like to saute onions just until they trun transparent as I like the crunch of onions in the rice. Now add the rice & stir fry on medium flame until the rice is thorughly heated & the raw smell of tamarind goes off. Serve as such or with coconut chutney on the side. Yum!!!.

Dev, this recipe is similar to our puli saatham, minus
the spices and the trouble of making the puli kachal.
Its very easy and simple, and light on your stomach.
To top it, it is very, very tasty. Thanks for the nice recipe.

The Tamarind Rice

[html:9f37cc96a5]
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4021/tamarindrice.jpg
[/html:9f37cc96a5]

suvai
15th November 2009, 09:35 PM
vaanga vaanga kugan.........:-)
the sweet potato adai looks very yummy.....is it on a sweet side despite adding the chillies? Did u let it rest or made into adai immediately?
try pannitu solaren to u & selvi.
Chapathi looks yummy too! will give it a try.

Dev....ipadi suvaiya damaal damaal nu recipes pottu thalliteenga.....& all look simple & easy to make........try panitu will surely let u know too....ellaam mouthwatering recipes ;-)

kugan98
15th November 2009, 09:42 PM
Vangga Suvai, the adai is not sweet, very tasty.
You can eat it as it is.
I did not rest the dough. I made the adai
as soon as I ground the batter.
I made the adai on the dosai kal.

Suvai about the paruppu kirai being thick.
Boil the dal with little water, just enough to cook the dal.
Then add in the greens, when cooked, I used the "mathu"
to mash the greens.

Take care, tomorrow is "amavasai" lot of cooking to do.
Including vadai and payasam. Kugan98.

suvai
15th November 2009, 09:43 PM
kugan/dev ....one more question....leave it overnite nu solareenga for the tamarind rice.....in the fridge or outside? thanks!

kugan98
15th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Suvai, to be on the safe side, I left it in the fridge. :lol:
Try panni paarungga. Kugan98

suvai
15th November 2009, 09:45 PM
ohhh thank u for the clarifications kugan nga!
naalaiki nalla samaichi saapidum bothu enakaaga oru extra vadai saapidunga...;-)
:mrgreen:

suvai
15th November 2009, 09:46 PM
okee dokes i will also leave it in the fridge...thanks kugan...nga ;-)

kugan98
15th November 2009, 10:04 PM
Aarthii, as usual very nice feedback and kind words.
Its like a booster to us.
Thanks a lot Aarthii.

Well Aarthii, I made your kurma, and it was really tasty.
Very simple to make, it can be a "thidir kurma" when we
have un expected guests.
Thanks Aarthii and also your chitti.

Aarthii's Kurma:

[html:baf8e0e158]
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4617/aarthiskurma.jpg
[/html:baf8e0e158]

dev
15th November 2009, 10:05 PM
K, u r right. It's a perfect dish for a quick but filling BF. puli saadham looks exactly like how we make... I forgot to mention- u can add turmeric powder to give it a good color but it's purely optional.

Suvai, u can leave it outside. coz of the tamarind, the rice wouldn't get spoilt.

dev
15th November 2009, 10:08 PM
Wow,so many recipes devka.Thanks for all the recipes.will try those one by one and will tell u the feedback.

Do try the recipes,Arthi...

& u can call me Dev...akka ellam vendaam coz I guess we both would be of almost the same age...

dev
15th November 2009, 10:16 PM
Dev....ipadi suvaiya damaal damaal nu recipes pottu thalliteenga.....& all look simple & easy to make........try panitu will surely let u know too....ellaam mouthwatering recipes ;-)

Aamam Suvai... I always prefer & easy, simple,QUICK dishes... try panni paarunga... :)

Wll post a quick snack recipe using the kongu masala pwd & puffed rice tomorrow...

kugan98
15th November 2009, 10:20 PM
Try this moong dal recipe, very tastey.

1 cup whole green moong daal(washed and boiled till cooked
2 tomatoes
1 onion
4 tbsp ginger-garlic(fresh,pounded)
4-5 green chillies slit and cut .
1 tsp tomato paste(optional-gives good colour)
2 tbs cup coriander leaves
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp tumeric
little lime juice to taste
salt to taste

Tempering:

2 tbsp ghee
a pinch hing
bay leaf,
1"cinnamon stick
2-3 cloves
whole red chillies
1 tsp jeera

method

1 In a pot, heat the ghee and make a tempering adding all the ingredients above in the order mentioned.

2 Then add the onions(cook for a while), green chillies,ginger-garlic(do not cook the garlic and ginger for long)..tomatoes(chopped)add the salt and tumeric powder

3 When the tomatoes are cooked add the tomato paste, chilli powder and the moong dal,stir for some time.add the coriander leaves and add 1 cup of water.

4 Let it boil for about 10 minutes. Add lime juice and remove.

This daal is supposed to be thickish but u may want to adjust the thickness and the seasoning,enjoy with rice or roti.

[html:5cf9c3c830]
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/6973/greenpeascurry.jpg
[/html:5cf9c3c830]

Selviem
16th November 2009, 01:19 AM
suvai,
sure i will post my paruppu urundai receipe at the earliest.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 01:20 AM
dev,
thanks for lots of kongu receipes. all r very interesting. i will try and give u the feedback.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 01:22 AM
kugan,
thanks for trying out sweet potato adai, u can also deep fry it. i do shallow fry in dosa pan. also my mom put one hole in the centre like urad dhal vada. so that it will cook evenly.

picture looks exactly what my mom prepares.

nice idea of making chappathi, i never tried, let me try next time.

thanks a lot for taking so much of efforts.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 01:23 AM
kugan,

i will photos in picasa .

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 01:23 AM
Aarthi,

u also try sweet potato adai and chapathi.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 01:24 AM
aarthi,

i made ur kuruma for the second time at home, kids like it very much. for me it is easy to make. thanks for giving a quick, easy and tastier receipe,

selvi

dev
16th November 2009, 10:43 AM
Here is the masala puffed rice(pori) recipe.

Chop an onion very finely.
Chop around 10 sprigs (or more -to taste) of TENDER curry leaves & a small bunch of coriander leaves finely.

1. Take about 1/2 pkt of crispy salted puffed rice(pori) in a box wth a lid. make sure there's enough space to mix the puffed rice.

2. drizzle about 2 tbsp or more coconut oil on the pori. close the box & shake well(in circular motion) so the oil coats the pori evenly.

3. sprinkle the kongu masala pwd to taste. Close lid & mix.

(Alternatly, u can add both coconut oil & masala pwd in one step & mix. Some find it difficult to get an even coat of spices when they do both in one step. So try & decide which way u prefer)

4. Add in groundnuts(roasted), pottukadalai, the onions and the curry,coriander leaves. close lid & shake to mix or u can use a spoon to mix now.

5. Serve immediately else the pori will lose its crispyness.

The tender curry leaves & the masala pwd gives a spl taste to this snack. So don't attempt this recipe if u don't have tender curry leaves. Adjust all ingredients to taste as my measures r not exact. But don't skimp on curry leaves.

dev
16th November 2009, 10:47 AM
Selvi, do give the recipes a try. :)

kugan98
16th November 2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks Dev, let me buy the pori first.
I have a curry leaf plant in my house.
So not to worry about tender leaves.
I also have to make your masala first.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
16th November 2009, 11:10 AM
[tscii]
There are many ways and methods to do
the tamarind rice.
This is how I do.

TEMPLE PULIOHARA

Ingredients:
200 grms tamarind soaked
1 tsp fenugreek roasted and powdered
50 grms peanuts roasted and remove skin
10 cashew nuts roasted
3 tbs gingelly oil
½ tsp tumeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp fenugreek seeds to temper
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp channa dal
6 dried red chillies
Salt to taste

To fry in little oil and powder:
10 dry red chillies
40 grms coriander seeds
40 grms channa dal
Little asafetida

Method:
Squeeze out the tamarind water, let it be watery.
Heat a wok with the gingelly oil.
Add in the mustard seeds, channa dal, dried chillies,
little asafetida and curry leaves. Sauté well.
Add in the tamarind juice and let it boil.
Add in the salt and tumeric powder.
Let the raw smell go and the puli kachal will become a bit thick.
Add in the ground powder, and boil further.
The oil should separate from the gravy, add in the peanuts,
cashew nuts and roasted fenugreek powder.
Stir well and remove.

Boil rice and let it cool.
Add enough puli kachal to the rice.
Mix well, serve.

[html:a1711af0d4]
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3892/puliohara.jpg
[/html:a1711af0d4]

kugan98
16th November 2009, 12:05 PM
Rajma (Red Kidney beans) Curry.

Ingredients:
1 cup of rajma
2 medium sized Onion
1 large Tomato
2 Green chilli
1 tbsp Ginger-garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Garam masala Powder
1 tsp Coriander/Dhania Powder
3/4 tsp of Cummin powder
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
Salt to taste

Method:
Soak the rajma overnight and boil in a pressure cooker till tender.

Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste.
Cook till brown.
Add the chopped tomatoes, green chillies and cook till pulpy.
Add chilli, coriander & cumin powder, salt and 2 cups water and boil well.
Add the rajma and cook on a low flame for about 10-15 minutes.
Add the garam masala powder and cook further for another 10 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
Garnish with cut coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice/Nans/chappathis.

[html:59bdfc6ed6]
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5390/rajmacurry.jpg
[/html:59bdfc6ed6]

dev
16th November 2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks Dev, let me buy the pori first.
I have a curry leaf plant in my house.
So not to worry about tender leaves.
I also have to make your masala first.
Thanks. Kugan98

Oh, tht's great... appo ungalukku curry leavesku prechnai illai... senju paarthittu sollunga...

Ur temple puliyogarai is mouthwatering... will try it out... Our method is almost the same except tht we add onion,garlic & instead of the powdered spices, we add kongu masala pwd. But I'm sure the freshly ground spices will give a very good flavour.

Aarthii
16th November 2009, 04:15 PM
Well Aarthii, I made your kurma, and it was really tasty.
Very simple to make, it can be a "thidir kurma" when we
have un expected guests.Thanks Aarthii and also your chitti.

Kuganka,thanks for ur feedback on the kuruma.Thanks for doing it and displaying it with a photo.Thanks a lot.

Aarthii
16th November 2009, 04:17 PM
& u can call me Dev...akka ellam vendaam coz I guess we both would be of almost the same age...

Ok.its cool. 8-) Will call u as dev itslef.Okie dev. :D

Aarthii
16th November 2009, 04:22 PM
Aarthi,

u also try sweet potato adai and chapathi.

selvi

Sure slevika.Pannama vida porathu illa. Inge avalo easya sweet potato kidaika mattenguthu selvika.Romba rarea thaan kidaikirathu.So waiting for the right time.

Selvika for todays dinner,unga vendhaya dosai thaan.Have grinded the batter by today morning and have kept it for fermentation.Will tell u the result by tomorrow.

Aarthii
16th November 2009, 04:24 PM
aarthi,

i made ur kuruma for the second time at home, kids like it very much. for me it is easy to make. thanks for giving a quick, easy and tastier receipe,

selvi

Am so happy :D that u have made it for the second time also.And very happy abt that ur kids have enjoyed it :) .

Thanks for ur nice feedback selvika.

Aarthii
16th November 2009, 04:26 PM
Kuganka thanks for the temple puliyohra,dev's thidir tamarind rice,Moongdal curry as well as rajma curry.Thanks for all the recipes .

Aarthii
16th November 2009, 04:47 PM
Tomato-onion pulikulambu

Ingredients :
Onion 1
Tomato 2(if it is small)
Tamarind : juice 2 tbs

For grinding :
Coriander Power : 2tsp
Chilly Powder : 1 1/2 tsp(Based on ur spice level)
Coconut threads : 3 tbs
Onion : 1

For Seasoning
Little hing powder
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds : 1/2tsp
Gingely oil: 1tbs(u can use any oil,but gingely oil gives a good taste)

Method :

Cut the onion for grinding into small pieces
In a pan,without oil roast the coriander powder and chilly powder in a sim state until a nice aroma comes out.(u have to take care,since the powders may burn easily)
Remove the powders.
Then in the same pan ,pour some oil and fry the onions till the raw smell of it goes out.
Now add the coconut threads and fry it until it turns light brown
Allow the mixture to cool and grind it into a smooth paste.

Cut the rest of onions into long thin strips.
Cut the tomatoes into small pieces.

Now take a pan, add gingely oil and now put all the seasonings
Now add the onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
Then add the tomatoes and fry it, until it becomes soft.
In the mean time add the tamarind juice,salt to the grinded mixture .
Now pour the grinded mixture into the pan.
Stir it once and close the lid.And keep it in a medium flame.Let it boil for sometime.
Open the lid once wen the nice smell of the pulikulambu comes out.

Note : It is a very nice kulambu.I like it very much.Hope u all will like it.I learned this frm my chitti.She used to tell that in tanjore side people used to make this type of pulikulambu only.
Kuganka,now it is ur turn to chk with the measurements.Plz give a try.

Aarthii
16th November 2009, 04:49 PM
Selvika plz give a try in ur free time

dev
16th November 2009, 06:57 PM
Arthi, can we add any vegs or vathal to the pulikulambu?....

& can u pls post the name of the recipe at the beginning of the post... coz that'll be easier while serching for the recipe as well as while indexing the recipe...:)

kugan98
16th November 2009, 09:28 PM
Dev, tomorrow I am cooking two of your recipes.
Your uppu paruppu is very similar to our seasoned dal.
I will post the picture soon.
Kugan98

dev
16th November 2009, 09:41 PM
oh ok Kugan... :shaking: have u prepared the kongu masala already?...

Selviem
16th November 2009, 10:32 PM
friends, am busy for past two days coz of here local ID card processing formality. Finally we registered, one big head ache is over.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 10:33 PM
so many receipes are in queue. one by one i have to try.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 10:38 PM
dev,
today for lunch i made ur kitchadi rice, with little variation. ground greenchilly, ginger, garlic. powder cinnamon, cloves. apart from yellow moong dhal i added 1 1/2 handful of moong sprouts, little kadalai paruppu, green peas, carrots. my kids said awesome kitchadi bryani. i made and packed when we went out. it was very filling and very tasty, very very healthy. thanks dev.

keep posting healthy receipes.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 10:39 PM
i have to prepare kongu masala powder, it is quiet interesting , once it is ready, i have to try all the receipes. all seems to be simple and delicious.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 10:48 PM
dev,

next in my list is puffed rice. it is very interesting.
selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 10:49 PM
kugan,

puliyotharai is very tempting. i have to try that one.

selvi

Selviem
16th November 2009, 10:59 PM
Aarthi,
pulikulambu is interesting, i will try and let u know

selvi

kugan98
17th November 2009, 04:59 AM
Aarthii as usual I am very very pleased with your
participation in this thread.
Your eagerness to try the recipes shows
how much you are interested in cooking.
Good keep it up Aarthii.
Good to see you posting recipes too.
I will try out your method too.

Ask your chitti too , to join in our fun.
I am sure she has lots of recipes to share.
Thanks Aarthii, my hugs to little Pranay.
Take care. Kugan98

kugan98
17th November 2009, 05:08 AM
This is DEV'S kongunadu molagu podi with
small measurement.

250 grms gundu milagai
125 grms coriander seeds
60 grms jeera
60 grms pepper corns
25 grms fenugreek seeds
10 grms asafoetida
10 grms gundu manjal
1/4 hand ful curry leaves
10 grms of mustard seeds
10 ml castor oil

The method the same as how DEV has written.
Imm mana manakkuthu.

kugan98
17th November 2009, 05:12 AM
Selviem you are too good.
Its nice to see you plus and minus according
to your family's needs.
I too followed your style while doing Aarthii's kurma.
Thanks Selviem. Continue your good work.

Later I will post Dev's 2 recipes and how we do the
seasoned dal.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
17th November 2009, 05:15 AM
[tscii]Yesterday was Amavasai, I did this sago payasam.

SAGO PAYASAM

Ingredients:
1 cup pearl sago
1 cup sugar
2 tbs cashew nuts
2 tbs rasinis
3 tbs ghee
¼ tsp of cardamom powder
2 tbs of warm milk with a pinch of saffron
2 cups of boiled milk.
2 cups of water
A tiny pinch of salt

Method:

Add 1 tbs of ghee and roast the cashew nuts and raisins. Keep aside.
Add another 1 tbs of ghee and roast the sago for a minute.
Keep aside.
Bring 2 cups of water to boil, add in the roasted sago, stirring,
the water while doing to prevent lumps forming.
On low fire let the sago boil. when the sago has boiled and looks
transparent, add the sugar. Stir constantly till the sugar has melted.

Add in the 2 cups of milk and the saffron soaked milk.
Add in the salt and simmer till it becomes semi-thick.
Remove from heat, add in cashew nuts, raisins, cardamom powder
And the 1 tbs of ghee. Stir well and serve hot.

[html:18027b7703]
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4249/sagopa.jpg
[/html:18027b7703]

Selviem
17th November 2009, 09:44 AM
kugan,
how did u grind kongu molagu powder? did u grind it in the mixier ? i also want to try. not sure whether mixier will grind urundai manjal.

plz advice
selvi

kugan98
17th November 2009, 11:23 AM
Selviem, I used my pounding stone to break up the
gundu manjal into very very small pieces.
I used my dry mixie to grind the powder.
I had to sieve it few times to get a fine powder.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
17th November 2009, 11:26 AM
Don't be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe. Give it a try & U'll be hooked. This dhal doesn't need any seasoning. Just a plain, simple recipe.

Uppu Paruppu:

1. Cook a cup of thoor dhal along with a1/2 tsp oil & turmeric pwd. Cook until soft & the dhal just starts to brekup. Don't let it cook too long ,or the dhal will become a paste. Mash the dhal lightly.

2. Add 1/2 medium onion chopped finely, 3 cloves garlic chopped finely, few curry leaves torn roughly,Kongu spl masala powder and salt. Cook for 5 mins. The dhal should be thick(of dosa batter consistency)

3. Switch off flame & add in chopped coriander leaves & a tbsp of ghee. Mix well.

4. Serve with rice & more ghee if u wish. Yum. Avarakkai porial goes well with this. U can prepare he poriyal the same way as mentioned in the brinjal-potato poriyal recipe.

Adding ghee to the dhal is a must(either as the last step or while serving). Don't ever think of skipping it.

DEV, I was very happy to read the sentence"Don't ever think of skipping the GHEE"
Ghee plays a very important part in this paruppu.

Dev,mashed toor dal with ghee, a simple combination.
A small serving of boiled toor dal with a dollop of golden ghee, marks the beginning of a banana leaf vegetarian feast.
Its a must in our house, for amavasai and when we have guests
for banana leaf lunch.

We do this dal in two ways, one is to just temper with, ghee, mustard seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
The other is to do just like what you have done.
Of course we do not use the special masala.

We make our own ghee by melting the unsalted butter.
When it melts fully, we add a sprig of curry leaves.
Remove and filter the ghee when it is still warm.

Thanks Dev, I would not have thought of posting this dish.
Its nice to recollect old tasty recipes.
Thanks again. Kugan98

[html:57e3b1c99d]
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4323/seasoneddalj.jpg
[/html:57e3b1c99d]

kugan98
17th November 2009, 11:50 AM
This rice is called Thanni thaalicha saadham coz it like seasoning the water & cooking rice in . As simple as that. I call it mock arisiyum paruppu as it tastes similar to it.

Thanni thaalicha saadham(Kongu special):

1 cup rice(ponni rice aka pulungal arisi)
1 medium tomato chopped
Seasoning:
a small handful of channa dhal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp jeera
curry leaves
turmeric pwd
Salt

1.Soak rice for 15 mins

2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds,let it splutter. Add 1/2 tsp jeera,curry leaves, chillies. fry for 10 secs. Add the dhal & let it become golden brown.

4. Add in tomatoes, turmeric pwd & the kongu spl masala powder. Let it start to breakup.Now add in the rice,dhal & enough water(abt 2 1/2 cups).Add salt & let it start to boil. Check the taste & adjust the masala pwd and salt.

Accompaniments:
Appalam
Pickle

I find that hot lime pickle was just nice for the rice.
Appalam reminds me that I have to post a appalam
curry and appalm kootu.
Thanks Dev, for the nice recipe. Kugan98

[html:a20e40f906]
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8571/tannirsadam.jpg
[/html:a20e40f906]

Selviem
17th November 2009, 11:52 AM
kugan,
thanks a lot
let me try that way.

selvi

kugan98
17th November 2009, 11:58 AM
Brinjal-potato poriyal for arisiyum paruppu saadham:

1 medium sizes potato cut into bite sized pieces.
8 small brinjals cut into 4 long pieces. If brinjals are of medium size,cut into 6 pieces.

1.Heat oil. Splutter mustard. Add a tsp channa-urad dhal & let it turn golden. Add 1 slit g.chilly, curry leaves. mix.

2. Add 1/2 onion cut, mix well n saute till slightly golden.

3. Add in turmeric pwd, kongu spl masala pwd & mix.

4. Add in the vegs immediately & saute for 2 mins. Add salt, water. cover & cook till done & dry.

5. Add a tbsp of scrapped coconut & mix well.

Serve with Arisiyum paruppu saadham.

A very simple dish which we could do for our day
to day cooking. Thanks. Dev. Kugan98

[html:0240e39748]
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8095/potatobrinjal.jpg
[/html:0240e39748]

kugan98
17th November 2009, 12:06 PM
Something sweet for a change.
Some of the kerala recipes are from my beloved
sister Ammani Ramachandran.
Thanks Akka.

SARKARA UPPERI ( Sweet Plantain Chips)
Ingredients:
6 firm green plantains
1 cup jaggery
cup water
1 tbs ghee or oil
tsp cardamom powder
Oil for frying
Little salt

Method:
Peel the green skin.
Cut the plantain in half length wise
Cut these pieces into 1 inch thick slices.
Rub a little salt into it.
Heat a wok with enough oil, and fry the chips
Until they are crisp and golden in colour.
Remove and keep aside.
Combine the water and sugar and boil till it
forms a single string syrup.
Add the fried plantain chips, ghee and cardamom powder.
Stir well the sugar to coat the chips well.
The syrup will coat the chips evenly and will harden in few minutes.
Remove and let them cool, then serve.

[html:e8d86ee3e2]
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3784/sakarauperi.jpg
[/html:e8d86ee3e2]

dev
17th November 2009, 12:26 PM
Selvi, thanks for trying the kitchadi rice... I'll have u try ur variations once... :) Do give the other reccipes a try.

K, Thanks for giving smaller measures for the KMP..

Selvi & Kugan,

Mom says instead of gundu manjal turmeric pwd can be used & it'll not change the taste/flavour. Infact she uses tur pwd only these days for the masala.

dev
17th November 2009, 12:36 PM
Kugan, thanks for trying so many recipes... Hope u liked them all .

Mom makes seasoned dhal similar to urs but we also use jeera for seasoning & we mash the dhal after the seasoning so the chillies breakup & the flavour of jeera goes well into the dhal.

& ur version of plain thuvar dhal we call as ilai paruppu.

& for ghee, we add tender drumstick leaves in place of curry leaves. it give a very nice flavour to the ghee. But add only very little leaves else the ghee might turn bitter.

dev
17th November 2009, 12:45 PM
The KMP can be used along with rasam pwd(50-50).

For everyday sambar for lunch, we don't use sambar powder but instead we add KMP. I find the taste doesnt appeal to some. But we like our rice sambar to be lil less spicier than tiffin sambar. maybe its an acquired taste.

KMP can be used for all poriyal varieties , dhal varieties for rice & puli kachal, puli kulambu etc.

we also use KMP+salt sprinkled on raw mango, raw cucumber. Also raw mango can be chopped into small pieces & mixed with KMP, salt & coconut oil. A tangy,hot snack :) I guess ppl from cbe have a lil kerala influence in their cooking. We like coconut oil in many dishes.

For masala pori, we make a simpler version by mixing pori, kmp , coconut oil,groundnuts & pottu kadalai.

I also like to have pori in my tea. just add 1 or 2 handful of pori to our usual tea & let it absorb the tea a bit.

dev
17th November 2009, 01:11 PM
K, a variation to the thanni thaalicha sadam is adding sombu & pattai to the seasoning.

For arisiyum paruppu, u can add tamarind juice, potatoes & brinjal while adding teh rice & dhal. That's another tasty variation. I sometimes add carrot,beans,peas & potatoes. & for a healthier version the tamarind veg arisiyum paruppu can be made using broken wheat(wheat rice)

U can also add slightly tender coconut cut into small pieces while adding the rice.

Selviem
17th November 2009, 02:02 PM
dev,
thanks for the clarification, i cant wait after kugan posted the picture of Thanni thaalicha saadham.

i also made kongu milagai powder. i am going to try ur dishes. i will give u the feedback. spice powder smells very nice.

selvi

dev
17th November 2009, 02:15 PM
Selvi, do try it & let me know how u liked it. U can try the variation using sombu & pattai if u prefer those spices.

I'll post my hubby's version of puli kaachal sometime soon.

dev
17th November 2009, 02:26 PM
[tscii:370c4114cd]Here's the pulikaachal recipe.

Kugan, I have copy-pasted ur temple puliyogarai recipe & made modifications. Sorry, too lazy to type. Hope u don't mind it.

Pulikaachal

Ingredients:
200 grms tamarind soaked
3 tbs gingelly oil
½ tsp tumeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp fenugreek seeds to temper
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp channa dal,urad dhal
5 dried red chillies
Salt to taste
Kongu masala powder(KMP) to taste
Little asafetida
sugar-to taste(optional)
1 big onion chopped finely
1 tbsp ginger & 2 tbsp garlic chopped finely(u can add more if u like the flavour of either of these)

Method:
Squeeze out the tamarind water, let it be watery.
Heat a wok with the gingelly oil.
Add in the mustard seeds, channa dal, dried chillies,
little asafetida and curry leaves. Sauté well.
Add in the onion,gin,garlic & let it start to turn golden.
Add in the tamarind juice and let it boil.
Add in the salt and tumeric powder,KMP.
Let the raw smell go and the puli kachal will become a bit thick.Check for taste and adjust the masala pwd,salt.
The oil should separate from the gravy. See if the tamarind used is sweet or not. If it isnt sweetish, add about a spponful of sugar or to ur taste just to balanceout the sourness of the tamarind.
Stir well & cook until oil separates. this pulikachal can be stored in the fridge for a month. Use a clean dry bottle to store & a clean dry spoon.

Puliyodharai:

Boil rice and let it cool.
Add enough puli kachal to the rice. Mix well.Let it sit for about 2 hours or even overnight. Heat it and serve as such or with curd.[/tscii:370c4114cd]

Aarthii
17th November 2009, 04:08 PM
Arthi, can we add any vegs or vathal to the pulikulambu?.......:)

Dev to be frank,i have not tried with any veges and vathals. :( I like to make it with smiply onion and tomato ,since those sounds good. :)

So very sorry i didnt have any idea.If u tired it with any veges,plz lemme know it.So in forthcoming days i can also make like that. :wink:

Regarding the Titles of the recipe,For sure will add it in the future recipes dev

Aarthii
17th November 2009, 04:11 PM
Aarthii as usual I am very very pleased with your
participation in this thread.
Ask your chitti too , to join in our fun.
Kugan98

Thanks for ur sweet comments kuganka.For sure i will ask her to join.

Aarthii
17th November 2009, 04:15 PM
Dev ,arisum paruppu sadam is my favourite.I used to have it in my college days frm my friends lunch box.As u stated Kongu side people used to make it often.My friends used to bring it very often.Thanks for the side dish for that sadam .Will definitely try it out.Thanks for the recipes dev.

Kuganka ,thanks for presenting it with a nice picture.

Aarthii
17th November 2009, 04:17 PM
Selvika tried ur vendhaya dosai yesterday night.It came out very well .Nalla manamana dosai sapittom selvika.

We r so happy.En kutti vaalu payan samatha rendu dosai sapittan.Am so happy abt it.Thanku selvika.

Aarthii
17th November 2009, 04:18 PM
kuganka payasam looks good.I like sago payasam very much.But dunno the recipe of making it.Thank u kuganka for posting the recipe.

dev
17th November 2009, 04:38 PM
No probs Arthi.. Will let u know if I try any variation...:)

Do give the arisiyum paruppu a try... hope u like it as much as ur friends' rice,....

kugan98
17th November 2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks Dev for so many tips and variations.
Will keep in mind, when cooking again.
Thanks Dev. Kugan98.

Ps. I do not mind, its o.k to copy and paste.

kugan98
17th November 2009, 05:21 PM
Aarthii as usual very nice comments and feed backs.
I will be trying out your two recipes to morrow.
Thedi pidichu cinna brinjal vaangi vanthen. :lol:
Thanks Aarthii. Kugan98

dev
17th November 2009, 05:36 PM
Aarthii as usual very nice comments and feed backs.
I will be trying out your two recipes to morrow.
Thedi pidichu cinna brinjal vaangi vanthen. :lol:
Thanks Aarthii. Kugan98

:thumbsup: I'm sure u'll like the brinjal recipe. I added a lil sugar to balace the sourness. I loved the crunch of the onions with the soft brinjals... The same recipe will be good with ladiesfinger I believe... :thinking:

dev
17th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks Dev for so many tips and variations.
Will keep in mind, when cooking again.
Thanks Dev. Kugan98.

Ps. I do not mind, its o.k to copy and paste.

Thanks K...:)

Selviem
17th November 2009, 11:11 PM
Aarthi,
thanks . ur family enjoyed venthaya dosa. ofcourse, it smells too good. kutti payan sabitta that is a good sign.

thanks a lot.

selvi

Selviem
17th November 2009, 11:12 PM
Aarthi,
tomorrow i am trying ur brinjal receipe. i will comeback to u with the feedback.

selvi

bkarthika
18th November 2009, 10:40 AM
Hi,
How r u all?Happy to see a huge list of recipes.I am going to try in week-ends surely.I have one doubt.I am not able to see the picture of the dishes posted :idontgetit: .What's the problem?Can anyone help me in this?Thanks in advance! :clap:

Selviem
18th November 2009, 04:24 PM
Suvai,

here i am posting the receipe of paruppu urundai kulambu.

paruppu urundai:
================

kadalai paruppu - 1 cup
toor dhal - 1/4 cup
soak for 2 hours. wash and drain.
ginger - 1 "
green chilly - 3
sombu - 1/4 tsp

grind the above with the dhal coarsely.

now add the following ingredients and mix to the ground dhal

reqd salt
turmeric pdr- 1/4 tsp
coconut grated - 2 tblsp
onion - 2 medium size, chopped
corainder leaves - 1 small handful chopped
curry leaves - few chopped
hing - 1/2 tsp
mix all the above ingredients thoroughly.

now make small ball and steam in the idli vessel.

By the side, we can prepare the curry .

Kulambu:
--------

small onion - 10 sliced
pepper - 1/4 tsp
jeera - 1/2 tsp
coconut grated - 1/4 cup (if needed we can use even 1/2 cup)
tomato - 1 small

now in a kadai add 1 tsp of oil, then add pepper, jeera, onion, tomato and coconut. all the above items should be added one by one, so that each and every items should fry nicely except coconut.
coconut can be fry for 2 minutes. then grind this to a fine paste.

now in a kadai, add oil 3 tsp, kadukku, urad dhal, venthayam, karuvadagam (little) , 1 small tomato finely chopped, garlic slices - 2 tsp .once this is fried nicely then add curry leaves. now add tamarind extract (from a big size lemon).
once it comes to boil add turmeric powder, salt.
either 2 tblsp of sambar powder or
red chilly powder 1 1/2 tsp
dhania powder 2 1/2 tsp
this is purely according to our spiceness we want.

now let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes. then add the coconut paste. allow it to boil nicely. then slow the fire, add the steamed balls, after this let it boil for 2 to 3 min. then switch off the stove. After the balls are inside the curry, once the first boil comes , then switch off otherwise the balls will become very hard.
Garnish with little coriander leaves.

Selviem
18th November 2009, 06:07 PM
DEV,
today i made fish curry with ur KMP and sambar powder, it was really nice. colour of the curry is attractive, taste is delicious.

thanks

selvi

Selviem
18th November 2009, 06:08 PM
kugan,

today i made steamed fish, my husband enjoyed it. I tried with salmon fish, really superb.

selvi

kugan98
18th November 2009, 06:53 PM
Tomato-onion pulikulambu

Ingredients :
Onion 1
Tomato 2(if it is small)
Tamarind : juice 2 tbs

For grinding :
Coriander Power : 2tsp
Chilly Powder : 1 1/2 tsp(Based on ur spice level)
Coconut threads : 3 tbs
Onion : 1

For Seasoning
Little hing powder
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds : 1/2tsp
Gingely oil: 1tbs(u can use any oil,but gingely oil gives a good taste)

Method :

Cut the onion for grinding into small pieces
In a pan,without oil roast the coriander powder and chilly powder in a sim state until a nice aroma comes out.(u have to take care,since the powders may burn easily)
Remove the powders.
Then in the same pan ,pour some oil and fry the onions till the raw smell of it goes out.
Now add the coconut threads and fry it until it turns light brown
Allow the mixture to cool and grind it into a smooth paste.

Cut the rest of onions into long thin strips.
Cut the tomatoes into small pieces.

Now take a pan, add gingely oil and now put all the seasonings
Now add the onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
Then add the tomatoes and fry it, until it becomes soft.
In the mean time add the tamarind juice,salt to the grinded mixture .
Now pour the grinded mixture into the pan.
Stir it once and close the lid.And keep it in a medium flame.Let it boil for sometime.
Open the lid once wen the nice smell of the pulikulambu comes out.

Note : It is a very nice kulambu.I like it very much.Hope u all will like it.I learned this frm my chitti.She used to tell that in tanjore side people used to make this type of pulikulambu only.
Kuganka,now it is ur turn to chk with the measurements.Plz give a try.

Thanks Aarthii, there was a nice aroma when I was,
cooking thus dish. Thanks a lot. Very yummy.
Kugan98.

Tomato Onion Puli kulambu:

[html:06cd304aef]
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9899/pulicurry1.jpg
[/html:06cd304aef]

kugan98
18th November 2009, 07:09 PM
[tscii:56a1c45a80][/tscii:56a1c45a80]Dear all,

Here Comes my first recipe

Stuffed Brinjals

Required Items :

Brinjals 1/2kg(Smaller in size)
Grated Coconut : 1 tbs
Sambar Powder :4 tspn
Tamarind Juice : 1 tbs
Sliced Onions(Very small slices) : 3tbs
Oil : 2 tbs

Seasonings: Mustard seeds,Channa dhal,Urad dhal ,curry leaves.

Method:

Remove the stems frm the brinjals.
Reverse the brinjals.
Frm the base,slightly cut the brinjal in its 4 sides,make sure that the brinjal still retain its shape.U must not cut it fully.In order to make the filling inside ,we have to split the brinjal into four parts
In a bowl mix the sliced Onions ,Sambar powder,Coconut,Tamarind juice and salt.
Add the seasoning items also.
Now stuff this mixture with a butter spoon into the splitted brinajls one by one.
In a kadai,pour the oil,and place the brinjals by it reverse position ie)stuffed part shud be facing u.
Put the remaning left masala mixture over the brinjals.
Pour abt ½ to ¾ cup of water,and close the kadai with the lid.
Let it boil in the sim state.once in 2 to 3mins just stir it well with a spoon.

Switch off the stove once wen the brinjals are cooked.
Goes well with plain white rice along with ghee combination.As well as u can serve as a side dish also.

Aarthii I made your stuffed brinjal.
The taste was superb, doing koncham kastam.
The ingredients are very simple.
The stuffing part only.
Anyway I managed to do.
Dev, Aarthii did it look like what you all made?
Aarthii, I think you are good at photography.
You can slowly start posting pictures.
Then we know how the original dish would look like.
Just a suggestion only.
Thanks. Kugan98

[html:56a1c45a80]
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5772/stuffedbrinjal1.jpg
[/html:56a1c45a80]\

kugan98
18th November 2009, 07:22 PM
Selviem, I am very happy that you all liked the steamed fish.
I have few non-veg recipes. I will post them soon.

Thanks Selviem for the parupp urundai kulambu recipe.
I will surely try it out.
I like to try new ,new ways to cook.
I am sure yours will have a nice taste.
I will post soon , how to upload pictures.
By friday school hoilday statrs, I will be a bit relaxed.
Thanks Selviem. Kugan 98

kugan98
18th November 2009, 09:10 PM
This is also a disappearing dish.

ULUNTHA KANJI ( PAYASAM )
Ingredients:
100 grms skinless whole ulunthu
1 tbs raw rice
900 ml coconut milk from a coconut
cup sugar
tsp of salt
A pinch of cardamom powder
1 knotted pandan leaf

Method:
Soak the ulunthu and rice for about 2 hours.
Grind them with a little water to a thick paste.
The paste should be a little coarse.
Mix the ground paste, coconut milk and salt.
Put a wok on fire. Pour the mixture with the pandan leaf.
On a slow fire, keep on stirring the mixture
Till it thickens and there is no raw smell of the ulunthu.
Now add the sugar and cardamom powder.
Stir till the sugar is dissolved.
Remove the pandan leaf, and dish out into a bowl.
This is a very good source of protein.

Note: You can add more milk if you want the kanji to
Be more watery.

[html:acdb6f6a07]
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1025/uluntu.jpg
[/html:acdb6f6a07]

kugan98
18th November 2009, 09:16 PM
TAYIR SEMIYA
Ingredients:

2 cups roasted semiya boiled , rinsed in ice water, drain and keep.
2 cups curds more if needed
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup grated carrot
Little coriander leaves chopped
Salt to taste

To temper:
2 green chillies chopped
1 dry chillie cut into pieces
1 tsp grated ginger
tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
10 cashew nuts
10 raisins optional
1 tbs ghee

Method:
Heat a pan and temper all the items given under temper.
When its cold add the tempered item to the curds.
Add the chopped cucumber and carrot.
Gently mix in the cooked semiya.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve chilled.

Note: If you want to do this dish with rice noodles (iddiappam)
Just break up the iddiappam with a spoon and follow the same method.

[html:d08b427410]
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1684/tayirsevaij.jpg
[/html:d08b427410]

kugan98
18th November 2009, 09:28 PM
Selviem a fish curry for you.

FISH CURRY

300 grms of fish slices (or any small fish )
3 tender ladies fingers, cut both ends and saut in a little oil.
1 big onion chopped
4 shallots slice into 2
4 pips of garlic slice into 2
3 green chillies slit and cut across
1 ripe tomato chopped
1 lime sized ball of tamarind, (more if you like the curry sour ) soak in 3 cups of water. Squeeze out the juice.
cup thick coconut milk ( optional )
2 sprig curry leaves.
2 heaped tbs fish curry powder + 1 tsp chillie powder
tsp fenugreek seeds
tsp mustard seeds
coriander leaves for garnishing
3 tbs of oil or more.
salt to taste
Method:
First apply little tumeric powder and salt to the slices. Keep aside.
Mix the curry powders with little water to form paste.
Put the pot on fire, add about 3 tbs of oil.
When the oil is hot add the fenugreek and mustard.
Now add the chopped onions, shallots, garlic, and stir fry.
Now add the chopped tomato and fry a little.
Now you add the green chillie, and curry leaves
The tomato will be a bit watery now.
Add the masala paste and keep on stirring till oil separates.
Now you pour the tamarind juice with enough water for your gravy.
Let the gravy boil for the raw smell to go.Add salt and taste for sourness.
By now oil will appear on top. Add the fish slices, and the ladies fingers.
The fish will be cooked in about 10 minutes. (test to see if it is cooked)
Add the coconut milk if using. Taste for salt
Just after one boil remove from fire and garnish with coriander leaves.

Note: I like to add a slice or two of mango in the fish curry. The taste will be awesome.

[html:60d2d48a39]
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2059/fishcurry.jpg
[/html:60d2d48a39]

Selviem
18th November 2009, 10:23 PM
kugan,

thanks for the fish curry, i will try it out.
also, aarthi's pulikulumbu is looking great in the photo, that also i have to try.
selvi

Aarthii
19th November 2009, 03:55 PM
Kugan thanks for the nice comments.Am so happy that u liked the taste of both the dishes.

Thanks lot kuganka.

Aarthii
19th November 2009, 03:56 PM
Definitely kuganka,will try to post the recipes along with pictures.

Aarthii
19th November 2009, 04:04 PM
Another Of DEV'S Recipe.
Carrot Sandwich:nion-1/2(chopped)
Tomato-1/4th to 1/2(seeds removed & chopped)
carrot-1 big(grated)
Chilli powder & salt-as req
garam masala-1/4 tsp
Oil[/html]

Dev & kuganka,i tired ur carrot sandwich for today's breakfast.It came out very well.

Thanks dev for the nice sandwich recipe.

Dev and kuganka ,plz do post some sandwich recipes .It will be useful for me.

Aarthii
19th November 2009, 04:08 PM
Kuganka,thanks for the thayir semiya,ullanthu kanji and fish curry recipe .Will try it out one by one.

My mom used to make ulunthu kanji with skinned urad dhal.The method differs a little bit.will try this method.

Kuganka,it tried ur thuvaram creamy spinach for today's lunch.It came out very well.Thanks a lot.

Aarthii
19th November 2009, 04:09 PM
kugan,

thanks for the fish curry, i will try it out.
also, aarthi's pulikulumbu is looking great in the photo, that also i have to try.
selvi

Slevika,give a try.I hope u all will like it.

dev
19th November 2009, 06:17 PM
Kugan, stuffed brinjal looks almost like wht I made... I chopped the onions finely & I used the small violet brinjals...

dev
19th November 2009, 06:55 PM
Not sure if I've mentioned this site earlier... www.egglesscooking.com for eggless cakes & cookies recipe...

kugan98
20th November 2009, 05:20 AM
Thanks Selviem, I will post few more non-vege recipes for you.
Kugan98

kugan98
20th November 2009, 05:22 AM
Aarthii thanks ma for all your feed backs and comments.
Do try out the recipes by Dev and Selviem.
They are all very good, for daily cooking.
Thanks. Kugan98.

kugan98
20th November 2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks Dev for the link.
Nowadays I am busy looking for eggless cakes.
Holidays are starting. Have to do something for the children.
The other day I did a chocolate eggless cake.
The texture was nice, but you know, the cake sticks to your teeth.
I would be grateful if any one can post tested
eggless cakes. Sometimes the net plays you out.

Dev, today is Thai tofu curry.
Tofu not fried, good news to Selviem.
I will post the recipe and picture later.
Thanks. Kugan98.

Selviem
20th November 2009, 12:29 PM
thanks kugan. i am waiting for tofu receipe. i bought, low calorie, low fat tofu here and doing grilling with that. we liked it.

selvi

kugan98
20th November 2009, 12:41 PM
[tscii]

THAI TOFU RED CURRY

Ingredients:
2 tbs Thai red curry paste
1 onion thinly sliced
3 pips garlic chopped
1 tbs oil
500 grms mixed veges, (broccoli, young corn, red pepper etc)
400 grms firm tofu cut into cubes
½ liter coconut milk
1 tsp salt more or less
¼ cup water
Little lime juice (optional)

Method:

Heat a wok with the oil, add in the onions.
Sauté well for a minute, add in the chopped garlic.
Stir well, reduce the heat and add in the red curry paste.
Cook stirring for a minute.

Add in the coconut milk, salt and the water, and bring,
To a slow boil, add in the vegetables, and let it boil again.
Stir occasionally for about 2 minutes.
Gently stir in the tofu and simmer curry.
The vegetables would have cooked in about 5 minutes.
Add lime juice if using.
Remove and serve with jasmine rice.
Garnish with Thai basil leaves.

[html:74f9c074b6]
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3714/redthaicurry.jpg
[/html:74f9c074b6]

Selviem
20th November 2009, 12:42 PM
friends, this receipe is not new for u. i tried this for my breakfast. We all enjoyed, little bit of healthier style and filling too.

Macroni with baked beans:
-------------------------

Macroni - 250 gms (cooked with little salt and 1 tsp of olive oil), drain water and wash it in tap water). I used whole wheat macroni.
onion - 1 medium size, finely chopped
capsicum - 5 tblsp , chopped
tomato - 4 tblsp, chopped
ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
any herbs as per ur wish may be thyme, sage, rosemary (a pinch)-optional
baked beans with tomato sauce - 1 small tin
tomato puree - 1/2 cup
salt - reqd
chilly garlic sauce - 1 tblsp

in a kadai add oil or olive spread, onion fry for 2 to 3 minutes. then add ginger garlic paste. then add capsicum, fry for a while. After that add tomato, red chilly powder, garam masala fry for 2 to 3 minutes. then add the tomato puree, baked beans with sauce, chilly garlic sauce, salt, 1/2 cup of water let it cook for some time. then add the macroni, any herbs. cook for 2 mintues then remove this will be like a sauce. transfer in the serving bowl, on that top u can add 0% fat cheese strip and cook for 45 seconds in the oven and serve.

kugan98
20th November 2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks Selviem for the recipe.
This morning it was spirals, stir fried with veges,
for breakfast.
I am sure they will like the macroni with baked beans.
It will be something different.
Thanks again Selviem.
By tonight I will post how to update the pictures.
Kugan98

kugan98
20th November 2009, 12:55 PM
Selviem a non-vege dish for you.

PANDAN CHICKEN

Ingredients:

Seasonings:
50 grams shallot paste
30 grms garlic paste
1 tbs lemongrass white part only paste
1 tbs coriander roots paste
1 tsp pepper powder
2 tbs fish sauce
tsp salt
1 tsp tumeric powder
2 tbs honey
1 tsp light soya sauce.

500 grms boneless chicken diced
Oil for frying
Pandan leaves

Method:
Marinate the chicken pieces in the seasonings for about 3 hours.
Wrap up chicken meat neatly in the pandan leaves.
Heat up the oil for deep frying.
Deep fry the chicken till golden brown.
Serve hot, let the guests unwrap them .

This dish was taught to me by my Thai friend when I visited her
In Thailand. I make sure she teaches me a new dish every time I
visit her.

[html:f995df1e22]
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5082/pandanchicken.jpg
[/html:f995df1e22]

kugan98
20th November 2009, 01:00 PM
I am sure you make mutton curry.
This will be a bit different I believe.

MUTTON CURRY

Ingredients:
Mutton - 1/2 kg, washed and cut into medium size pieces
Potatoes - 3 medium size, peeled and cubed
Onions - 2 medium size, finely chopped
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Garlic - 4 pips
Red chilli powder - 2 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 tbs
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - 1-1/2 teaspoons
Coriander leaves - a small bunch, finely chopped
Coconut - 1 cup, grated
Khus-khus - 2 teaspoons
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
Cinnamon - 1 inch long stick
Cloves - 3
Warm water - 5 cups

Method: Grind the coconut and khus-khus together to a smooth paste and keep aside. Grind the ginger and the garlic to a smooth paste and keep aside.

Heat a flat-bottomed vessel and pour the ghee. When smoking hot, add the cloves and cinnamon stick together and follow with half of the chopped onions. When the edges of the onions turn brown here and there, add the mutton pieces. Stir from bottom once. When the juice from the mutton pieces evaporates, add the, salt, turmeric powder, ginger, and garlic paste. Also the chillie and coriander powder.
Fry well for 5 minutes. Now add 3 cups of warm water to cover the mutton completely, and also the remaining chopped onions. Cover with a lid and allow to boil over moderate heat for the first 30 minutes and then simmer over reduced heat till the mutton is tender.
Add potato pieces to the tender mutton at this stage. If needed, add 2 cups of warm water with potato. When the potatoes are cooked , add the coconut and the khus-khus paste diluting it with a cup of water. Let the sauce simmer gently till you get the required consistency you like . Add the chopped coriander leaves to the sauce a minute before removing from the fire.

[html:2ea8ce9ef2]
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5572/muttoncurry.jpg
[/html:2ea8ce9ef2]

dev
20th November 2009, 04:06 PM
Here is an eggless banana cake(whole wheat_ oats) which I tried yesterday. healthier than the usual cake coz I din't add maida,

Preheat the oven to 180 C
whole wheat flour- 1 cup
oats- 1/2 cup
sugar 3/4th -to 1 cup or even lesser(I used brown sug+white sug- 50:50)
Cardamom pwd-1/2 tsp
baking soda- a lil less than 3/4th tsp
Put all the above in a bowl & mix well

In another bowl take=
oil or ghee or both mixed- around 5 tbsp
milk 1/4 cup(warm)
mix both well.
Add in 5 tbsp curd(slightly sour but not too sour)
Add in 3 medium sized bananas mashed well.
mix everything well.

Now add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients lil by litle & fold. don't mix vigorously & don't overmix. Add water if the batter is too thick.

Pour the batter into a greased,dusted cake pan. sprinkle some broken cashewnuts on top. U can add nuts to the batter if u like. Bake for 30-35 mins or until a skewer poked in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let it rest outside the oven for 5 mins.loosen the sides & then turn the pan over a wire rack & tap. let it cool completely & then slice. Better had the next day.

Note: U can add vannila essence or banana essence instead of cardamom pwd.

This cake will be very soft but dense.

K, this cake din't stick to the teeth. maybe coz of the oats in it.

Selviem
20th November 2009, 04:54 PM
kugan,

thanks for chicken and mutton receipes. i will try this when i have guests at home.
selvi

Selviem
20th November 2009, 04:55 PM
dev,

ur eggless banana cake is very interesting, coz of eggless and fat also. i want to try. but my kids dont like the banana taste. can i make without banana.

Selviem
20th November 2009, 04:56 PM
dev,

i made vendai,brinjal,drumstick,mochai puli patchadi. for that i used KMP powder. very liked the dish and smell is too good.

kugan98
20th November 2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks Dev for the nice eggless recipe.
Surely I will try it, and post the picture.
Dev, take care. Kugan98

dev
20th November 2009, 06:31 PM
Selvi, u can soak dates(maybe around 20) in milk & then grind & use it instead of banana... if it's soft dates, no need of soaking... else u can soak dried figs & chop then & use... flavour u can change accordingly...vanilla goes well with all... I don't use any flavour for fig & dates cake...

kugan98
20th November 2009, 06:34 PM
Selviem, what is the dish that you made?
Is it a patchadi using all the veges?
Please kindly post the recipe. Thanks.

I wanted to sing a song for dev, as her kongu powder
is very famous.

Kongu naatu sengkarumbeh tanga sillaiyeh,
Dev, neenga engga thanga sillaiyeh

Thanks. Kugan98

dev
20th November 2009, 06:45 PM
Selvi, can u pls post the recipe for the mixed veg puli patchadi... We make vendakkai /brinjal puli kulambu using the KMP... I just want to know if the recipe u tried is diff from tht...

kugan98
20th November 2009, 06:56 PM
ONION UTHAPPAM

2 cups of dosa batter
1 tsp minced ginger
1 fresh red chillie finely chopped
1 onion chopped
2 tbs coriander leaves finely chopped
2 tbs grated carrots

Method:
Heat a dosa kal or non stick pan.
Pour a ladle ful of batter and spread to make thick dosai.
Sprinkle little of the ingredients on the dosai.
Drizzle gingelly oil over and along the dosai.
Lower the flame and cover the dosai.
Let it cook for a minute, flip to cook the other side.
Serve hot with chutney or sambar.

[html:15b99b7790]
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4666/oothappam.jpg
[/html:15b99b7790]

dev
20th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Here is a Parsi dish called dhansak which is a very healthy & tasty curry tht goes well with rotis as well as rice...

Dhansak is traditionally prepared using mutton... chicken also can be used...

It's served with parsi brown rice...it's nothing but rice cooked in caramel water which lends the rice a nice brown color & a slight sweet taste...

Dhansak

1. cook 1/2 cup thuvar dhal+ 1/4 cup yellow moong + 1/4 cup channa dhal + 1/4 kg yellow pumpkin cut into big pieces + asafoetida+turmeric pwd for 3-4 whistles...

2. Grind 7 red chillies,1 tsp pepper, 1" cinnamon, 2 cardamom pods, 1 tsp each cumin & coriander seeds , 6-7 pods garlic & 1' ginger to a paste. In case u want to simplify the process, u can make a dry masala by grinding the dry masalas alone & gin-gar paste can be made when req. Increase the dry spice measures in that case.

3. Heat oil in a pan. Add 1 onion chopped & fry till brownish. Add in the ground paste & fry till raw smell diappears & the masala becomes flavourful... Add 2 chopped tomatoes & a small bunch of clean greens(u can use any one or a mix of these- mulai keerai, kaatu keerai, arai keerai, siru keerai, spinach , methi). If u r using methi, u neednt chop it. cook till the tomato breaksup & becomes mushy.

4. Add in the dhal mixture, salt & let it boil for 3-4 mins. Add water if req. The consistency of the dhal will be bit thick. Dosa batter consistency. Done.

Variation: u can use a mix of tomato & tamarind fr sourness or even tamarind alone. But i like mine with only tomatoes.

U can use masoor dhal or green moong or any of ur fav dhal tht'll cook within 3-4 whistles.

U can use any combination of vegs u like. brinjal,potato,carrot, raw mango etc can be used. But I ike the pumpkin dhansak...:)

Selviem
20th November 2009, 07:26 PM
dev,
thanks for ur suggestions. let me try it with figs. dhansak is very interesting. i can try it out on sunday.
i will give u the feedback.

selvi

Selviem
20th November 2009, 07:26 PM
kugan,
ofcourse, we can sing a song for dev .

dev
20th November 2009, 07:33 PM
hahaha... nice song K...:lol:

dev
20th November 2009, 07:39 PM
Selvi, I forgot to mention... Dhansak is traditionally made using mutton... chicken also can be used...

It's served with parsi brown rice...it's nothing but rice cooked in caramel water which lends the rice a nice brown color & a slight sweet taste...

I've not tried either of the traditional prep... So I cant comment on the taste...

Selviem
20th November 2009, 07:42 PM
kugan and dev,

this is a tirunelveli dish. my mil used to make. menu is paruppu kulambu, patchadi, fry vegetable.

patchadi:
=========

1. we can make only with lady's finger.
2. lady's finger, brinjal, drumstick
3. lady's finger, ridgegourd, brinjal, drumstick
4. lady's finger, brinjal, ridge gourd, valakai
5. lady's finger, brinjal, ridge gourd, valakai, motchai.
like this u can choose the vegetable. no pumkin.

lady's finger - 100 gms
brinjal - 4 pcs
drum stick - 1 cut in 1"
tamarind - 1 small lime size
onion - 1 small finely chopped
tomato - 1 small finely chopped
sambar powder - 2 tblsp
or red chilly powder - 1 tsp
coriander powder - 2 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
salt - reqd.

grind the following:
-------------------

coconut - 3 tblsp
jeera - 1/2 tsp
garlic - 3 pips

grind it like chutney.

seasoning
=========

oil - 2 tsp
kadukku - 1 tsp
urad dhal - 1 tsp
vadagam - 1/2 tsp
curry leaves.

In vessel all the vegetables, cut in to small pieces. extract the tamarind juice, pour in the vegetables. salt, spice powder, turmeric powder.let the vegetable cook. in a kadai, put oil kadukku, urad dhal, vadagam, onion, lady's finger fry for two minutes, then transfer this in the vegetables. add tomatoes two. let it cook till the vegetables are done. then pour the coconut mixture in the vege mixture.

try this and give me the feed back.

Selviem
21st November 2009, 12:57 AM
dev,
i also come across dhansak is with mutton. anyway i will try urs. coz i dont want non-veg in that.

selvi

suvai
21st November 2009, 09:41 AM
hello kugan nga :-) selvi :-) dev :-)
parthu romba naal aagidichi....hope all of u are well.
recipe after recipe pottu asathiteenga 3 perum...........dev...yr podi is really good & thanks to u & kugan for giving the measurements.....semma vaasanai ...omg i tried kongu biriyani....& it came out very well.......thanks dev ...:-)....
Selvi thank u for the urundai kuzhambu recipe....will try it out.....selvi i tried out yr chutneys & what a new taste that was for dosai...yummy!
Kugan i also tried your urundai kuzhambu.....that was one tasty recipe....thank u !!
kugan neenga nallaa paadavum seiyareenga........aduthu dev..selvi ..naan ellaarum sernthu....raagam thaalam palavi nu velutha katta vendiyathu thaan....naama paada...priya kootidalaam aada...apuram oru periya virunthu with all our tried recipes....;-)
wouldnt that be fun!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Selviem
21st November 2009, 10:26 AM
hi suvai,
nice to hear from u after long time, how r u? thanks for trying out the receipes. happy to hear that u like it. as u said dev's KMP smells tooooooooo good. i am also trying the receipes with that.

selvi

dev
21st November 2009, 11:16 AM
I'm so glad tht KMP fan club is growing...:)

Suvai, try sambar with tht powder... it'll be diff & will go well with rice... tiffin varietiesku avalo nalla irukaadhu...

kugan98
21st November 2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks Dev for the dhansak recipe.
I remember having it in my aunt's house with mutton.
To morrow is dhansak in our house.
I will post the picture.
Thanks Dev. I really appreciate.
Kugan98

kugan98
21st November 2009, 02:21 PM
Suvai nga vaanga, vaanga.
How are you keeping?
Thanks for the nice feed back on urundai kulambu.
Dev's kongu podi oh ohnu irrukku.
Thanks to her mom.
Kugan98.

kugan98
21st November 2009, 02:49 PM
Selviem tried your patchadi today.
I used your same combo, brinjal, drumstick and vendi.
Good as a side dish also you can use as gravy for rice.
Thanks Selviem for a very nice recipe.

I feel happy because, I have so many new dishes to
cook for my family. Sometimes you get bored doing
the same sambar, puli kulambu, poriyals and things.
The family members too when they come home
they feel happy to have something new on the table.

So Selviem do post recipes that might look simple for you,
but we appreciate it a lot.
Bug your mother-in-law for some more nice recipes. :lol:
Thanks Selviem. Kugan98

[html:dbf933ceb3]
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8206/patchadi.jpg
[/html:dbf933ceb3]

Selviem
21st November 2009, 03:43 PM
kugan,

the picture looks same, for this u can make paruppu kulambu as the main curry. Also, for patchadi one variation, what my mom use to do is, only greenchilly she will use. no sambar powder or redchilly and dhania powder. this taste looks different. The main curry will be the paruppu kulambu.

paruppu kulambu: (mom style)
================

toor dhal - 100 gms boiled nicely, mash and keep aside

grind:
-----

coconut - 5 tblsp
jeera - 1/2 tsp
garlic - 4 pips

grind like chuntey consistency. pour this in the dhal, add some more water. this curry should be watery not so thick.
add reqd chilly powder - 3/4 tsp, salt, turmeric powder. allow it to boil in medium fire (donot boil too much, slightaga kothika vidavum)

seasoning:
----------

oil - 2 tsp (coconut oil is good), but i use canola oil
kadukku
urad dhal
vadagam
one dry red chilly
curry leaves
shallots - 6 finely chopped, this should turn nicely brown in colour (cook in slow fire)

transfer seasoning in the dhal, u will hear srrr sound then switch off.

for this curry my mom's patchadi is best. potato fry / valakai fry/ chepangkilagu fry/ cauliflower podi fry and pappad is good combination.

For my mil's patchadi, here comes the curry

Paruppu kulambu:
===============

toor dhal - 1 cup, along with this, 2 green chilly, 4 shallots, turmeric powder. cook till the dhal is done and mash it.

grind same as like the previous paruppu curry, pour it in the dhal, salt allow it to boil.

seasoning:
==========

same as above.

this will give different taste.

selvi

Selviem
21st November 2009, 03:49 PM
My mil will make ulunthu satham, for fish curry. this is very healthy and very tasty.

i prepare this for vathakulambu or pulikulambu.

ulunthu satham:
==============

ponni boiled rice - 1 cup
urad dhal - 1/4 cup (broken without skin.), dry fry till nice aroma comes, but colour should not change[coz of frying u will not feel sticky of urad dhal]
jeera - 1/2 tsp
venthayam - 1/4 tsp
garlic - 15 pips , sliced
coconut grated - 4 tblsp
salt - reqd.

put all the ingredients in the pressure pan, add 3 cups of water, reqd salt and cook for 2 whistles. this is not like pongal consistency. very well goes with fish curry, vathakulambu and pulikulambu. even we can have it with curd.

Aarthii
21st November 2009, 04:07 PM
Dev tried ur Arisum Paruppu sadam for today's lunch.It came out very well.As well as the taste is just like the same which i had frm my friends lunch box during my college days.Thanks a lot dev.

Aarthii
21st November 2009, 04:09 PM
Kuganka,tried ur aapam recipe for todays breakfast.Wow,its so good kuganka.

Such a nice taste.Very soft appams.Thanks a lot kuganka.

Aarthii
21st November 2009, 04:19 PM
Selvika,thanks for the patchadi and paruppu kulambu recipe. :) Am very happy that u have posted the patchadi recipe :D

Selvika,u know onething.My husband's favourite side dish is patchadi only. :o That too since this patchadi is a tradional dish of triunelveli.Eveytime whenver we make full pledged meal on special days,he asks me to make this patchadi. :( But since i dont know the recipe i used to avoid it or else i will do something by the name as patchadi. :wink: But,hereafter i can make.Thanks a lot selvika.Am going to make it suddenly without any notice and going to give him a surprise. :!:

Aarthii
21st November 2009, 04:21 PM
kuganka tofu curry,mutton curry,uttappam all looks great.Thanks for the recipes kuganka.

Uthaappam is my son's favourite.definitely going to make it for him.

suvai
21st November 2009, 08:14 PM
aarthi......u r a mini version of kugan........ I see in the kitchen........ :mrgreen:

try out all the recipes that catches your eyes & asaithify your family members.....;-)

suvai
21st November 2009, 08:20 PM
yes selvi.......neram kidaikum bothu first visit hub ku thaan ;-)

dev...i already planned to make sambar with yr podi.....like kugan said ....onga ammaku oru periya thanks namba elaar saarbilum.

yaar kiteyaavathu oru authentic Theeyal recipe iruntha podunga plz...& thanks !

amaaam....... shanthy engey poiteenga ? onga specialities & family recipes um podunga plz :-)

dev
21st November 2009, 10:28 PM
Arthi, glad u liked arisim paruppu...:) Ammakitta neenga ellam thanks sonnadhai solliten...:D

Suvai, appadiye dhansak try panni paarunga... unga theruve manakkum...;)

dev
21st November 2009, 10:30 PM
Selvi, I made poondu chutney for dosai today... sooper taste... everyone liked it... thanks a lot for the recipe... Aduththu unga paruppu kulambu try pannitu solren...

Selviem
21st November 2009, 11:16 PM
thanks dev. do try paruppu kulambu , definitely u will like it. u can reduce coconut, oil according to ur family. i posted the original version, but when i prepare i reduce the quantity of coconut, oil and salt.

selvi

Selviem
21st November 2009, 11:18 PM
kugan,
dinner i made couscous uppuma, we liked it. very easy to prepare. thanks kugan.
Is it available in india? coz my son told my mom that , we ate new uppuma today. my mom asked me what is that, i dont know how to explain, i told her i will tell the tamil name. can u plz help me what is the tamil name and availability of couscous in india.

selvi

Selviem
22nd November 2009, 02:06 PM
friends,

today for lunch i made urundai palakai curry. this is very tasty dish, good combo for chapathi and rice.

this is not the normal palakai, this will be in round shape. very small in size.

remove skin and cut in to small pieces, may be 1 cm. cut and put in the water mixed with curd. so that the vegetable will not turn its colour. - 350 gms

boil the vegetable in water with little turmeric and salt. strain the water and put the vegetable in a vessel.

now seasoning:

oil , kadukku, urad dhal, pattai - 2 ", elaichi - 1; cloves - 4; sombu - 1/4 tsp, once this is fried, add shallots and big onion - sliced together one cup
curry leaves , coriander leaves
garlic - 4 pips sliced
green chilly - 2 slit
fry till the onion is done, then add 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste.
fry till the raw smell goes, then tranfer this in the vegetable, add 2 cups of water, red chilly powder - 1 tsp, dhania powder - 2 tsp, turmeric - 1/4 tsp
salt - reqd let it boil for sometime.

then grind the following

coconut - 5 tblsp
cashews - 3
pottukadalai - 2 tblsp
or khus khus u can add
onion - 1 medium sized, either boiled or fry

grind all the above to a fine paste, transfer this in the vegetable. After this let it boil for 5 minutes then remove from the stove. garnish with coriander leaves. this is very tasty.

Selviem
22nd November 2009, 02:12 PM
urundai palakai uperi:
----------------------

remove skin and cut into small pieces, in a vessel put the vege pieces, salt, turmeric ,chilly powder , water sprinkle little. cook till the vegetable is done. In between, check for water if needed, sprinkle some water, keep on tossing the vegetable.

crush
======

shallots - 15
garlic - 4 pips
curry leaves - few

crush the above nicely

seasoning
=========
in a kadai , add coconut oil, kadukku once it pops up
transfer the crush items in this and fry till golden brown colour and transfer the cooked vegetable and stir for 2 to 3 mins.

Selviem
22nd November 2009, 02:13 PM
if anybody is interested in normal palakai sambar and palakai masala, i will post the receipes.

NOV
22nd November 2009, 06:03 PM
dinner i made couscous uppuma, we liked it. very easy to prepare. thanks kugan.
Is it available in india? coz my son told my mom that , we ate new uppuma today. my mom asked me what is that, i dont know how to explain, i told her i will tell the tamil name. can u plz help me what is the tamil name and availability of couscous in india.

[html:1310a5e269]
http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/images/couscous/coucous1.jpg
[/html:1310a5e269]

its a middle eastern item, made with sujee/ravaa.

Selviem
22nd November 2009, 06:14 PM
thanks nov

kugan98
22nd November 2009, 07:10 PM
Selviem, thanks a ton for all the recipes.
Your urad dal saatham is something new to me.
I will try and post the feed back.
Thanks also for the tips on cooking other dishes.
Will keep in mind, and try other versions also.
Thanks, Selviem. Kugan98

kugan98
22nd November 2009, 07:12 PM
Aarthii, thanks for all the feed backs.
I am glad you liked the aapam.
Now you have many new recipes to try.
Good for you Aarthii.
Take care. Kugan98

kugan98
22nd November 2009, 07:16 PM
Suvai thanks for all your comments.
Suvai, I am very happy with Aarthii.
She is no mini Kugan.
She is maxi kugan.

Suvai I will soon post the recipe for theeyal.
Take care. Kugan98

kugan98
22nd November 2009, 07:46 PM
Selviem, NOV anneh has posted the picture of couscous.
You can make varities of dishes this couscous.
I do not know if you can get it in India.
You can try the big supermarkets.
I remember buying it for my aunt, long time ago
from Malaysia.

Selviem the round jackfruit you mentioned must be breadfruit.
In Tamil it is known as irapalakai.
I am posting the picture of it, see if it is the one.
You can cook many types of dishes with the breadfruit.
It can be sliced thin and fried the same way we do
banana fitters. Very tasty with hot cup of tea.
Thanks Selviem. Kugan98

[html:561ead9ecb]
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9430/breadfruit1.jpg
[/html:561ead9ecb]

kugan98
22nd November 2009, 08:12 PM
Here is a Parsi dish called dhansak which is a very healthy & tasty curry tht goes well with rotis as well as rice...

Dhansak

1. cook 1/2 cup thuvar dhal+ 1/4 cup yellow moong + 1/4 cup channa dhal + 1/4 kg yellow pumpkin cut into big pieces + asafoetida+turmeric pwd for 3-4 whistles...

2. Grind 7 red chillies,1 tsp pepper, 1" cinnamon, 2 cardamom pods, 1 tsp each cumin & coriander seeds , 6-7 pods garlic & 1' ginger to a paste. In case u want to simplify the process, u can make a dry masala by grinding the dry masalas alone & gin-gar paste can be made when req. Increase the dry spice measures in that case.

3. Heat oil in a pan. Add 1 onion chopped & fry till brownish. Add in the ground paste & fry till raw smell diappears & the masala becomes flavourful... Add 2 chopped tomatoes & a small bunch of clean greens(u can use any one or a mix of these- mulai keerai, kaatu keerai, arai keerai, siru keerai, spinach , methi). If u r using methi, u neednt chop it. cook till the tomato breaksup & becomes mushy.

4. Add in the dhal mixture, salt & let it boil for 3-4 mins. Add water if req. The consistency of the dhal will be bit thick. Dosa batter consistency. Done.

Variation: u can use a mix of tomato & tamarind fr sourness or even tamarind alone. But i like mine with only tomatoes.

U can use masoor dhal or green moong or any of ur fav dhal tht'll cook within 3-4 whistles.

U can use any combination of vegs u like. brinjal,potato,carrot, raw mango etc can be used. But I ike the pumpkin dhansak...:)

Dev, I made your dhanasak dish to day.
The pumpkin gives it a unique taste.
The cinnamon and cardamoms the nice smell.
Thanks Dev for the nice recipe.
Kugan98

The Dhanasak:

[html:c2cfcdd42c]
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6210/dhanasak.jpg
[/html:c2cfcdd42c]

kugan98
22nd November 2009, 08:18 PM
Try this idli.

KANJEEVARAM IDLI

Ingredients:
250 grms raw rice
200 grms urad dal
2 tsp salt or to taste
4 tsp melted ghee
2 tsp black pepper crushed roughly
2 tsp cumin seeds
cup of thick curds
tsp cooking soda.

Method:
Soak the rice and the dal for about 3 hours.
Grind to a little coarse thick batter.
Keep the batter till the next day for use.
Before steaming the idlis, add all the other
Ingredients and mix well.
Oil the idli plates pour the batter and steam
the idlis as usual.

Note: normally the batter is poured into a round
container, steamed, and cut into slices.
At times it is steamed in tumblers.
Serve with chutney or idli milagai podi.

[html:2659024d13]
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4931/idli.jpg
[/html:2659024d13]

kugan98
22nd November 2009, 08:32 PM
It will be good to take this steaming porridge,
for tea, when it is a very cold evening.

GOTHAMBA PRADHAMAN

In Malaysia we will call it bubur gandum.
In Kerala it is a paayasam.

Ingredients:

1 cup cracked wheat
4 tbs ghee
2 cups brown sugar make into a thick syrup
6 cups coconut milk
1 tsp cardamom powder
A pinch of ginger powder

Method:

Wash the wheat and drain.
Heat 2 tbs of ghee in a pot and toast the wheat for 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil.
Stir periodically to make sure that the grains do not stick to the pot.

Simmer until the wheat is well cooked.
Add in the brown sugar syrup, stir well.
Add in the coconut milk and cook over a very slow flame.
Boiling will result in curdling of coconut milk.

Once the coconut milk has thickned, sprinkle the cardamom
powder and ginger powder and the remaining ghee.
Stir gently and remove.
Keep the pot covered otherwise the coconut milk
will form a skin on the top. Serve it warm or cold.

[html:7837ad6f28]
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8666/wheatporridge.jpg
[/html:7837ad6f28]

kugan98
22nd November 2009, 09:42 PM
Simple coconut milk rice.

COCONUT MILK RICE

Ingredients:
2 cups basmathi rice washed and soaked for 20 minutes.
3 cups of coconut milk ( thin and thick)
2 onions finely chopped
4 green chillies sliced
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 piece cinnamon stick
2 cardamoms
2 cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
3 tbs of ghee
Salt to taste

Method:
You can cook this in a rice cooker, or absorbent method.
In the rice cooker, add in the ghee.
Now add the cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
When they splutter add the sliced onions ,curry leaves and fry till
golden brown. Now add in the green chillies and the pastes.
Fry for a few seconds, now add in the rice, coconut milk,
salt, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Give a good stir and close.
The rice will be done.
If you are using a pot, cook on low heat, till all the liquid
is evaporated , off the stove, cover the
pot tightly and let it cook on its own steam.

Goes well with any kurmas.

[html:34eb6a973e]
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6838/coconutmilkrice.jpg
[/html:34eb6a973e]

Selviem
22nd November 2009, 09:50 PM
kugan,

thanks kugan. the palakai picture is same what i mentioned in my receipe. ulunthu satham, u try it is very healthy.

selvi

Selviem
22nd November 2009, 09:51 PM
kugan,
post some receipes of couscous. i knew only ur uppma.

selvi

dev
22nd November 2009, 10:42 PM
Kugan, thanks for trying dhansak...

I can see some dhals intact... is it thuvar or channa dhal?... I cook it until all dhals except channa is mashed up...only the channa dhal will be intact...

suvai
23rd November 2009, 04:44 AM
kugan nga!!
your coconut milk rice looks veryyy yummy & seems very simple too. kandipa panitu solaren.

cracked wheat payasam is very tempting.....;-)

dev...tried yr sambar with ammas podi....super vaasanai..gama gama nu...thank u ;-)

dhansak...i remember i used to have this parsi friend of mine who used to bring this dish for parties & it tasted so good.....didnt occur to ask her for the recipe....but thanks to u now i have it...;-)

selvi...onga ulunthu sadam....kuzhainthu irukumaa? irukanuma?

kugan - aarathiya promote paniteengala from mini to maxi nu :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Selviem
23rd November 2009, 10:18 AM
suvai,

uluthu satham, it is not soggy. not very separate like briyani.

selvi

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 11:15 AM
Dev, it was co incident, I was in a bit of hurry.
So my channa dal was not that well cooked.
I should have used my pressure cooker.
Anyway if the dish looks up to your mark.
Then Kugan will be very happy :D
Thanks Dev, in spite of your commitment,
you log on daily to see what happens.
Thanks again. Kugan98

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 11:18 AM
Suvai nga thanks for your comments.
Hope you will give the feed back if you
try any of the recipes. Theeyal is coming.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 11:23 AM
Selviem, you can do couscous kitchadi, couscous salad, couscous with chick peas and so on.
I will post few recipes for you.

Selviem have you tried cooking with quinoa?
Many healthy dishes can be cooked with this grain.
It will have a nice aroma of cooked corn.
I will post the recipes also.
Take care. Kugan98.

dev
23rd November 2009, 11:34 AM
Kugan, try cooking the dhal & veg in the ressure cooker next time... the veg will brekup & mix a lil with the dhal & it'll give a nice taste & tickness to the dish... Otherwise, ur pic looks perfect...:)

& yes, I do get some time to visit the hub- when the kid is asleep or when someone is there to take care of her...:)

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 11:55 AM
[tscii] QUINOA KITCHADI

QUINOA KITCHADI

Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa
½ cup moong dal
2 green chillies cut into small bits
½ tsp black pepper crushed
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves
1 sprig curry leaves
1 small piece of cinnamom stick
½ tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp ginger cut into bits
A pinch of asafetida
10 cashew nuts fried in ghee
2 tbs ghee
Salt to taste

Method:

Soak quinoa and moong dal in a pressure cooker,
containing 3 cups of water for 2 hours.
Temper all the ingredients above, except the cashew nuts.
Pour it into the pressure cooker.

Pressure cook for about 4 whistles.
Let the pressure drop. Open the cooker.
Fluff the kitchadi, garnish with cashew nuts.
Serve hot with little ghee or curds.

This is how quinoa looks:

[html:772c9d5429]
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/210/img5477i.jpg
[/html:772c9d5429]

Quinoa Kitchadi:

[html:772c9d5429]
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/807/quinokichadi.jpg [/html:772c9d5429]

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 12:23 PM
[tscii]

COUSCOUS WITH CHICK PEAS

Ingredients:
1 cup couscous
200 grms chick peas soaked and boiled
200 grms tomatoes diced
1 tsp crushed dry red chillies ( or more to taste)
½ tsp crushed black pepper
4 garlic pips minced
1 tbs oil
Salt to taste
2 ¼ cups of water
Little coarsely chopped scallions
Little fresh basil
¼ cup grated cheese

Method:
Heat oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
Add in the minced garlic, sauté well.
Add in the chick peas, red chillies, black pepper,
And cook for a minute stirring frequently.
Add in ½ cup of water, add in the tomatoes, and basil.
Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Add in the 1 ¾ cups of water and salt.
Bring to a gradual boil. Slowly add in the couscous.
Mix well, close with a lid and off the fire.
Let it stand for about 10 minutes.
Remove cover fluff up the couscous.
Garnish with the scallions and the grated cheese.
Serve warm.

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 12:40 PM
Selviem this is how you cook basic couscous.

1 cup couscous
1/4 tsp ghee or oil
1 1/4 cups of water
a pinch of salt.

Method;

Heat water in a small pan, when it comes to boil,
add the salt and ghee.
add also the couscous and cook on a very slow fire
for few minutes.
Turn off the heat, cover the pan nicely, let it stand to
cool slightly.
Fluff up the couscous and spread on a plate.

Selviem now you can add grated carrots, thinly cut capscium,
sliced onions, chopped zucchini, chopped coriander leaves,
lemon juice, and any vege of your choice and make a salad.

For kitchadi you add the necessary things and cook like upma.

Thanks Selviem. Kugan98

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 12:59 PM
This I heard is an ancient savoury'
A very simple recipe.
You have to eat it to tell how it tastes.

SAVOURY SLICES

Ingredients:
1 cup arrowroot powder or cornflour
3 cups buttermilk ( mooru).
Salt to taste
1 tbs oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbs urad dal
1 tbs channa dal
1 dried chillie cut into pieces
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp grated ginger

Method:
Mix the flour with the buttermilk in heavy saucepan.
Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds.
Then add the dals and the dry chillies.
A minute later add the ginger and curry leaves.
Pan fry for a moment and pour it over the buttermilk.
Add salt and cook over medium heat,stirring continually.
It will thicken and start leaving the sides of the pot as you stir.
Remove it and spread it evenly in a well greased pan.
Let it cool, cut it into squares and serve.

Note: You can add milk, sugar, nuts raisins and make it into
a sweet version.

[html:5249627fa6]
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5828/savouryslices1.jpg [/html:5249627fa6]

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 01:16 PM
Once I wrote that we do have guests for breakfast.
May be you all thought that I was making a joke.
This a picture taken 2 years ago.
I had to prepare breakfast for 10 of them.
They insisted that they wanted breakfast.
And also one chicken item.
I made ven ponggal and its sambar
parotta and its dal
paal appam and its thick coconut milk
puttu, kesari, vadai and honey chicken.
Now a days no more non-vege in the house.
Kugan98.

[html:d4f475813c]
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/102/breakfasto.jpg [/html:d4f475813c]

Selviem
23rd November 2009, 01:40 PM
kugan,
thanks for the nice explanation. now i understood how to prepare variety of dishes using couscous.
selvi

Selviem
23rd November 2009, 01:41 PM
kugan,
this quinoa is new to me, i will search here and i make the dishes u mentioned.
whatever is healthy , is most welcome in our house.

selvi

Selviem
23rd November 2009, 01:42 PM
kugan,
thanks for posting so many receipes, i am learning new new dishes from ur thread. thanks for ur effort kugan.
savoury slices, is very interesting. i have to try . so many dishes are waiting. one by one i will try and come back to u.

selvi

Selviem
23rd November 2009, 01:44 PM
kugan,
u have made biggggggggggggg feast for ur guest. oh my god how u made all those things, too for breakfast.

hats off to u kugan. :thumbsup:
keep it up. good job kugan
selvi

dev
23rd November 2009, 03:06 PM
Suvai, glad u liked the sambar... Sambar will smell good if u add KMP just 2-3 mins before u take off flame...

Aarthii
23rd November 2009, 05:25 PM
aarthi......u r a mini version of kugan........ I see in the kitchen........ :mrgreen:

try out all the recipes that catches your eyes & asaithify your family members.....;-)

Thanks for ur sweet comments suvaika.

Aarthii
23rd November 2009, 05:26 PM
Suvai thanks for all your comments.
Suvai, I am very happy with Aarthii.
She is no mini Kugan.
She is maxi kugan.

Thanks kuganka.Its all becoz of u only

Aarthii
23rd November 2009, 05:27 PM
Dev Dhanasak recipe sounds good.Thanks for the recipe.Will try it out soon and tell u the result.

Aarthii
23rd November 2009, 05:29 PM
Kuganka,so many recipes.Asatheetinga ponga.

So many new dishes.Have to try one by one.Thank u kuganka

Aarthii
23rd November 2009, 05:39 PM
Selvika,small palakai recipes are interesting.Amma used to make poriyal with that.I like that poriyal very much.am going to tell amma abt ur kulambu.so that she can make.Both mom n dad likes small palakai very much.Here i think i wont get.But once if i get it defintely i will give a try.

Selvika,ur ulunthu sadam typically looks like how my mon will prepare.She used to make with skinned urad dhal.Avial and sesame thogayail are the best side dishes for it.

I think ,Nonvegetarians used to make egg sambal as a side dish for it along with any other non veg curries.Am i correct slevika?

Aarthii
23rd November 2009, 05:40 PM
Kuganka,unga breakfast presentation amazinga iruku .

wow,really superb.

Selviem
23rd November 2009, 07:11 PM
Aarthi,
my mil used to make fish curry for ulunthu satham. my mom never makes that rice. so i dont have any idea other than fish curry for that. skinned urad dhal is healthy. i never tried with that dhal. let me try once with skin urad dhal.

Selvi

sudha india
23rd November 2009, 07:50 PM
K, unga breakfast preparations paarthen.

I cant even dream making so much for a time.
Salutes !!!!

Shakthiprabha
23rd November 2009, 07:50 PM

Dhansak

Dev, I made your dhanasak dish to day.
The pumpkin gives it a unique taste.
The cinnamon and cardamoms the nice smell.
Thanks Dev for the nice recipe.
Kugan98

The Dhanasak:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6210/dhanasak.jpg

Finally I get to post something in this thread cause, for a change I did try out something new. Thanks a tonne dev for ur dhansak, I LOVED IT, and I supp my family would love it too. Its there on my dinner table today. Thanks kugan for posting the pic and the service thro thread.

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks Selviem for your nice compliments.
Look out in the super markets for quinoa.

My maid and I worked all night to prepare before morning.
In my house nothing should be bought from shops.
My F.I.Law was very strict in that.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks Aarthii for all your nice words.
Its all your encouragement that makes me
post more recipes. Thanks Aarthii.
Kugan98

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 09:06 PM
Sudha ma thanks for your nice words.
Appa appa time kidaikum pothu,
Oru vari intha threadla podungga.
Thanks Sudha. Kugan98

kugan98
23rd November 2009, 09:10 PM
Welcome Sakthi, to kugan's thread.
Thanks for your kind words.
Please do drop a line when ever time permits.
Its your encouraging words that keep us going.
Thanks again. Kugan98

dev
23rd November 2009, 10:00 PM
Kugan, sooper BF spread... Hope I can be ur guest one day... but not for BF... I think dinner should be ok...;)

dev
23rd November 2009, 10:02 PM
Arthi, try pannitu sollunga...:)

SP, am so happy u tried the recipe & liked it... my bro loves it so much that he'll have it for all 3 meals the day we make it...:lol:

Arthi
23rd November 2009, 10:06 PM
hello Dev Madam, namakkumm sila items sollunga
without garlic & Onion.
I am tired of eating my sambar and usual kaai :x

Arthi
23rd November 2009, 10:07 PM
inniki unga dhansak dhan PP la manakudhu
courtesy: Guruji :)

dev
23rd November 2009, 10:23 PM
Arthi, dhansak try pannunga onion garlic illama... Even then it'll taste good...

Uppu paruppu recipe post panni iruken....adhai try pannunga... Aprom kitchadi rice, veg rice ellam try panni paarunga...

Kugan, Selvi,Arthi ellorum niraya post panni irukaanga...u can try many of the dishes without oni-gar...only where oni/gar is the main ingredient, it'll change the taste...otherwise it should be fine I believe...:)

kugan98
24th November 2009, 09:16 AM
Welcome Arthi to Kugan's kitchen.
Please try our recipes and post the feed backs.

I am posting a theeyal recipe for Suvai.
You cam omit the onion in that recipe.

Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
24th November 2009, 09:35 AM
[tscii]Suvai here is your theeyal.

BITTER GOURD THEEYAL

Ingredients:

To Grind:
½ cup scrapped coconut
2 shallots sliced
10 black pepper corns
½ tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp chillie powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tbs oil

Seasonings:
1 tbs oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
2 dry red chillies broken
2 sprigs curry leaves

2 tsp tamarind paste
¼ tsp tumeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tbs oil

Method:
Heat a pan with 1 tbs of oil.
Add in the sliced shallots, fry for a minute.
Add in the pepper corns, cumin seeds, chillie powder,
coriander powder, curry leaves and the coconut.
Fry until a nice aroma comes and the coconut is
golden brown in colour. Remove from stove, let it cool.
Then grind to a fine paste.

Heat a wok with 1 tbs oil, add in the sliced bitter gourds.
Fry them to a deep brown colour. Add in the tumeric
powder, salt and 1 cup of water. Let it boil.
Add in the tamarind paste, and let it simmer for about 6 minutes.

Heat up a pan with the 1 tbs oil.
Add in the mustard seeds, when they splutter,
add in the fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
Stir and pour it into the wok with the bitter gourds.
Cover the wok for a while. Now taste for salt and remove from stove.
Serve with rice.

Note: Theeyal can be made with any veges of your choice.
The most common ones are, shallots, snake gourd, bitter gourd,
and prawns.
You can even make with brinjals, potatoes or with mixed veges.
The theeyal tastes best the next day.

[html:41582100f0]
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8766/theeyal2.jpg
[/html:41582100f0]

kugan98
24th November 2009, 09:41 AM
[tscii]A simple curry to make, when you run out of veges.

APPALA CURRY

Ingredients:

20 pieces of appalapu fried
100 grms small onions
3 tomatoes sliced
1 sprig curry leaves
¼ tsp tumeric powder
1 tbs chillie powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
½ tsp aniseeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
6 pips garlic
3 tsp gingelly oil
Salt to taste.

To grind to a fine paste:
¼ cup scrapped coconut
1 tsp aniseeds
3 small onions

Method:
Heat oil in a wok, add in the mustard seeds.
After it splutters, add in the urad dal, aniseeds,
fenugreek seeds, and curry leaves.

Now add in the small onions, garlic, tomato,
Chillie powder, and tumeric powder. Sauté well.
Add in about 2 cups of water, salt and let it boil.
When the tomatoes are well cooked and the gravy
a bit thick, add in the ground paste. Let it boil well.
Now add in the fried appalapu and remove.
Serve with rice.

Note: The gravy has to be a bit watery, for when you add
the fried appalapu, it will thicken a bit.
Careful when you add salt for the appalapu too has salt.

[html:ea56a7d248]
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6096/appalacurry1.jpg
[/html:ea56a7d248]

kugan98
24th November 2009, 09:47 AM
[tscii]
APPALA KUTTO

Ingredients:

200 grms channa dal
100 grms split moong dal
10 pieces of appalpoo fried
1 onion chopped
1 tomato chopped
2 green chillies sliced
1 tsp chillie powder
¼ tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tbs of coconut scrapings
Salt to taste

Temperings:
2 tbs oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1 sprig of curry leaves

Method:
Boil the 2 dals with the tumeric powder. The dals must be just cooked.
Heat oil in a wok, add the temperings.
Now add the chopped onions and sauté till they are a bit golden.
Add in the chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic paste and the green chillies. Stir for a minute, add in the chillie powder and coconut scrapings. Stir well add in the cooked dals, salt and ¼ cup of water.
Let it simmer well, add in the fried appalapoo.
Stir well and remove.
Becareful with your salt as appalapoo has salt in it.

[html:c1a8aa2afd]
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3881/appalakutoo1.jpg
[/html:c1a8aa2afd]

dev
24th November 2009, 11:19 AM
Arthi, tried onion tomato puli kulambu... nalla vandhirukku... thanks for the recipe...:)

kugan98
24th November 2009, 11:21 AM
PULI AVAL

Ingredients:
1 cup aval
1 tbs sesame oil
tsp mustard seeds
1 dried chillie cut into pieces
2 fresh green chillies sliced
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 sprig curry leaves
tsp tamarind paste
tsp tumeric powder
1 tbs chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
cup water

Method:
Rinse the aval in a colander under running tap water.
Drain and keep.
Heat oil in a wok, add the mustard seeds, then the dry
Red chillies,green chillies,ginger and curry leaves.
Fry for a couple of minutes. Reduce the heat, and stir in
The tamarind paste with the cup of water.
Add in the tumeric powder and salt and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the drained aval and stir well.
Cook until all liquid is absorbed.
Remove and garnish with coriander leaves.

[html:e0dfeb7110]
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3771/puliaval.jpg
[/html:e0dfeb7110]

kugan98
24th November 2009, 11:29 AM
Dev, now we have two Arthi's

One is Aarthii, another is Arthi.

Aarthii is from New Delhi, Arthi is from Bangalore.

Thanks. Kugan98

dev
24th November 2009, 12:52 PM
oh,yeah... maranthitten Kugan... ok, so I should have written it as Arthii...:)

dev
24th November 2009, 12:53 PM
yaaravadhu oru nalla vadai curry recipe post pannungalen...

dev
24th November 2009, 03:35 PM
Have updated the index for Kugans kitchen 2 at http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1911670#1911670

Aarthii
24th November 2009, 04:03 PM
Aarthi,
my mil used to make fish curry for ulunthu satham. my mom never makes that rice. so i dont have any idea other than fish curry for that. skinned urad dhal is healthy. i never tried with that dhal. let me try once with skin urad dhal.

Selvi

Selvika,plz do give a try with skinned urad dhal.It is very healthy as well as the taste will also be very good.

Aarthii
24th November 2009, 04:09 PM
Kuganka,thanks for the theeyal,appala kulambu and kootu recipes.

U know kuganka,theeyal is my favourite recipe.
A spl thanks for posting it.

Kuganka,tried ur kuzhi paniyaram for yesterday's dinner.It came out very well.We all liked it very much.Thanks a lot kuganka.For the first time i did this one yesterday .It turned out very well.

Aarthii
24th November 2009, 04:10 PM
Arthi, tried onion tomato puli kulambu... nalla vandhirukku... thanks for the recipe...:)

Dev,am very happy that u liked the kulambu.Thanks dev

kugan98
24th November 2009, 04:42 PM
Dev, I just do not know how to thank you.
It was in my mind to ask you.
You have done it. Thanks,thanks :notworthy: :notworthy:

I will post a vadai curry recipe of mine.
Hope you like it.
Thanks, Dev. Kugan98

kugan98
24th November 2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks my dear Aarthii, you are a great inspiration
to all of us.
Glad that you are enjoying the recipes.
Keep it going. Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
24th November 2009, 04:49 PM
Friends karthigai is coming soon.
What palagarams you all make.
What special dishes for lunch.
It would be nice to share.

I usually make pori urundai, peanut ladoos,
and sweet appams.
Lunch is normal vegetarian lunch.
Extra poriyals, vadai and payasm.

Thanks. Kugan98

dev
24th November 2009, 08:36 PM
aarthii, the pulikulambu actually tastes even better now ... Fish curry maadhiri looks like it'll taste better & better with time... Amma liked the curry a lot & so did hubby... we had it with idli for BF & for lunch & even now I had it(for dinner)...:slurp: Definitely a keeper...:thumbsup:

dev
24th November 2009, 08:38 PM
K, pleasure is mine... actually I've been updating it for a week & only today I completed it...:) Since I now have volunteers to take care of the kid, I get some free time...:D

suvai
25th November 2009, 09:28 AM
hello kugan nga!!!
Thank u thank u thank for all the interestingggggg recipes that u have posted.
Theeyal looks very very good .....kandipa try pannitu solaren.

Karthigai ku naanum regular vegetarian dishes but will make extra poriyals & pachadi. sweet innum decide pannalai...;-)

dev.....vadai curry of kugan as well as mrs mano I have tried & both are excellent recipes.....kugan Part 1 on page 9 paarunga.

thanks dev for indexing all the recipes... :thumbsup:

dev
25th November 2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks Suvai...will chk out...:)

kugan98
25th November 2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks Dev, I am glad that you friends to help you out.
Suvai has pointed out the page for vadai curry.
Try panni paarungga.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
25th November 2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks Suvai nga for pointing out the page.

We do not celebrate any festival for a year.
Like lighting the karthigai lamps around the house.
We will have prayers in our house.
I will make the sweets for prayers.
Thanks Suvai, let me know what sweets
you make. Kugan98.

kugan98
25th November 2009, 10:12 AM
This is a simple snack of yester years.

AVAL WITH BROWN SUGAR

Ingredients:
2 cups aval
1 cup jaggery or brown sugar
2 tbs ghee
tsp cardamom powder
1 cup freshly grated coconut

Method:
Rinse the aval and drain it in a colander.
In a heavy skillet mix the jaggery with 3 tbs
Of water and cook it over medium heat to make
A syrup. To test the syrup, drop half a spoonful
Of syrup into a cup of cold water.
The syrup forms a firm ball when dropped in water.
Add the aval to the syrup along with the ghee
And cardamom powder and cook over medium heat
Stirring continuously, until it is dry.
Remove it from the stove, sprinkle it with grated
Coconut and stir. Serve warm or cold.

[html:0f08a03613]
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6302/sweetavalone.jpg
[/html:0f08a03613]

kugan98
25th November 2009, 10:22 AM
Another healthy snack.

AVAL WITH MILK SUGAR & GHEE

Ingredients:
1 cup aval
1 cup fresh milk
1/4 cup of sugar (less if you like)
2 tbs of honey
a pinch of crushed cardamom
1 tbs raisins roasted in ghee
1 tbs cashew nut roasted in ghee
1 tbs ghee (less if you like)

Method:
Wash and rinse the aval. Spread it on a paper towel to dry.
Bring the milk to a rolling boil. Remove and keep it covered.
In a large bowl, combine the warm milk and sugar.
Stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
Pour the honey into the milk.
Add the aval and mix well. Sprinkle in the cardamom
And raisins and cashew nuts and stir gently. Drizzle ghee on top.
Serve warm.

[html:40caa85024]
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5558/avalwithmilk.jpg
[/html:40caa85024]

kugan98
25th November 2009, 10:33 AM
KEERAI VADAI

Ingredients:

1 cup urad dal
1/4 cup chana dal
3 green chillies chopped
1 big chopped onions
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cup chopped any keerai
1 tsp finely chopped curry leaves
1 tbs finely chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Oil

Method:
Soak the two dals for 1 hour.
Drain and grind to a nice paste without adding much water.
Now add all the other ingredients and mix well.
Heat oil in a wok, take a small ball of the vadai dough.
Flatten to make vadais, pierce centre with finger and slowly
Drop the vadais in the oil. Fry on medium heat till done.
Serve hot with chutneys or chillie sauce.

[html:498135ec50]
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9137/keeraivadai.jpg
[/html:498135ec50]