PDA

View Full Version : Which non-Indian film did you watch recently

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Nerd
8th February 2010, 08:26 PM
Finally finally decided to go watch Avatar on Saturday. Could not get tickets :shock:

Watched Sherlock Holmes instead. The most underwhelming Ritchie film yet. :cry: The film had its moments, RD Jr was brilliant but still could not appreciate it.

kid-glove
8th February 2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe it got too formulaic for you?! The film seems to have a formula of having heightened moments (action sequences, occult practitioner doing his thing etc ), private moments between Watson and Holmes, mild friction between Holmes and Adler, expository moments (visual montage of Holmes resolving each) following one and other like pendulum of mood swings, consciously and overly expressive. But I don't see any other way from Ritchie. I thought Ritchie(or the script) does his best on touching on core points, and the relationships. And simultaneously maintaining frenetic pace.

Nerd
8th February 2010, 09:15 PM
I would have liked the film if it did not touch upon way too many things. Too many things were packed and IMO not all of them worked. Apart from the main story, only the friction between Holmes-Watson worked for me.

The way they showed the montage of Holmes resolving everything was too fast for me. Those are the parts which would have been very interesting in a novel (haven't read much of Holmes). I would have liked Ritchie to have been a little more elaborate. But I understand that its like the first film in a franchise(?) and he had to establish all the characters firmly. Was not happening. :oops:

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 12:10 PM
Come on Groucho :twisted:

jinju
10th February 2010, 02:09 PM
happened to watch The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford on hbo recently. one of the best i've seen of hollywood in sometime. felt like reading a novel, scenes n characters fleshed out so well. some people may find it long drawn, but the performances and cinematography make the viewing experience memorable. best of brad pitt that i've seen (anyone agree..?!). but the performance of the film was undoubtedly Casey Affleck, fab!

for connoisseurs of gud ol' hollywood, definitely reccomended!

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 02:29 PM
Wonderful filmmaking. :clap:

I think it's the best Brad pitt could ever come to portray ruthlessness, intensity and veneration Jesse James inflicted en masse (the various levels of star adulation is suggested through Robert Ford), maybe not quite mythically and romanticized but I'm sure something similar. And just to clarify, it's no Cagney "white heat" over-the-top style (not that I don't like it!), but it's very inwardly created by Pitt, that even silence suggests nuance. Casey Affleck is aptly casted, and performed to the effect, brother Ben, should quit acting and take up filmmaking. :lol:

Above all, the cinematography is so great that ever frame has beauty of its own. Specially an excessive usage of time-lapse photography, steadicam, Aerocrane and some handheld by Deakins himself. And some of the lighting by Deakins is so clever technique. The first train robbery (surprisingly similar to "White heat" in many ways and yet so different) is probably the best set-piece of the year, which is grand praise considering the other films of the year, TWBB and NCFOM. In this comprehensive ASC interview (http://www.theasc.com/magazine_dynamic/October2007/QAWithDeakins/page1.php), Deakins breaks down insightful details. To know how Deakins does lighting and stuff, he is really a top class technician.

Yet with so much contrivances (in technique and in narrative gimmicks), it seemed a seamless narration. that's how you do a film. :clap:

groucho070
10th February 2010, 02:30 PM
Come on Groucho :twisted:Yemba...? athan sumal review ezhuthiteenee (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2010/01/sherlock-holmes-2009-sherlock-stock.html)

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 02:31 PM
:D Enakku theriyum, namba nerd-ku theriyumma.. :boo:

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 02:36 PM
Btw bro, seen "Rolling thunder" 1977. If you haven't seen it yet, It's so post-Vietnam 70's film. Recommended to you.

groucho070
10th February 2010, 02:38 PM
The appeal to me was that Ritchie took notice of who Holmes really was. Though you don't see drugs, in some scenes Holmes is definitely under the influence. His obsession in wanting to solve problems all the time to the point of ruining Watson's personal life. His experiements. It's all there.

As for the film overall, it had the old adventure spirit in it. Like the old Bond films, picks up with a good pre-title sequence, nail the bad guy, start again from zero and move, move & move. As you said, the quieter moments between Holmes and Watson are entertaining and funny.

Some interesting points here:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/21965/1/THE-DEVIN039S-ADVOCATE-THE-HOLMES-HATERS/Page1.html

groucho070
10th February 2010, 02:41 PM
Btw bro, seen "Rolling thunder" 1977. If you haven't seen it yet, It's so post-Vietnam 70's film. Recommended to you.Nope, haven't. Expect a young, but still-look-the-same Tommy Lee Jones :lol:

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 02:43 PM
Btw bro, seen "Rolling thunder" 1977. If you haven't seen it yet, It's so post-Vietnam 70's film. Recommended to you.Nope, haven't. Expect a young, but still-look-the-same Tommy Lee Jones :lol:

:lol: Nah, I think you'll be surprised. 8-)

jinju
10th February 2010, 02:46 PM
Wonderful filmmaking. :clap:

I think it's the best Brad pitt could ever come to portray ruthlessness, intensity and veneration Jesse James inflicted en masse (the various levels of star adulation is suggested through Robert Ford), maybe not quite mythically and romanticized but I'm sure something similar. And just to clarify, it's no Cagney "white heat" over-the-top style (not that I don't like it!), but it's very inwardly created by Pitt, that even silence suggests nuance. Casey Affleck is aptly casted, and performed to the effect, brother Ben, should quit acting and take up filmmaking. :lol:

Above all, the cinematography is so great that ever frame has beauty of its own. Specially an excessive usage of time-lapse photography, steadicam, Aerocrane and some handheld by Deakins himself. And some of the lighting by Deakins is so clever technique. The first train robbery (surprisingly similar to "White heat" in many ways and yet so different) is probably the best set-piece of the year

that's how you do a film. :clap:

very well written. quite agree to all ur points, esply the affleck one! :lol:

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 02:52 PM
I played it for a friend in his projector and surround sound system. I think film deserves to be seen with similar ambiance, a lifelong aim is to own original 35mm of such films, and build a theater to screen them. It really is a overwhelming desire of mine.

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 02:56 PM
And that's a major reason why I like chapters with Shosanna (and her bf, the theater projectionist) in "Inglorious basterds".

groucho070
10th February 2010, 02:57 PM
I played it for a friend in his projector and surround sound system. I think film deserves to be seen with similar ambiance, a lifelong aim is to own original 35mm of such films, and build a theater to screen them. It really is a overwhelming desire of mine. :shock: Me too, me too! Ellam nadakkura kaariyamaa :(

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 02:59 PM
I played it for a friend in his projector and surround sound system. I think film deserves to be seen with similar ambiance, a lifelong aim is to own original 35mm of such films, and build a theater to screen them. It really is a overwhelming desire of mine. :shock: Me too, me too! Ellam nadakkura kaariyamaa :(

It's achievable, but as all great things required, discipline and some luck.

P_R
10th February 2010, 03:14 PM

oru kuruppA thaan yA irukkeenga.

I once spent a couple of hours watching back to back screenings where I comprised 33% of the audience in this private theatre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reg_Hartt).You may find it interesting. :-)

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 03:33 PM
Wow, they own "The Triumph of the Will". which could definitely be one of chief inspiration for owning a movie house. Mine (if it happens :lol: ) would actually be "Sherlock Jr." a silent film which released 10 years prior, not exactly for the subject matter but some of the shots like tracking handheld one which captures a couple of men walking in the street, then Keaten moonwalking over the train :lol: and hanging by the massive water fueler for steam engine. The moving and fixed camera throughout the film. The shot with camera fixed to the motercycle just escaping the train, etc. The final care chase and hilarious finale of car-turned-boat sinking and cut to Keaton waking from dream-within-movie-within-movie. The superb soundtrack throughout, whoa.. That's exactly the kind of reels to own, as against say the modern era crap like "Loose change".

Groucho. Agree re. Holmes under the influence in many scenes. Downey jr. suggested it well and his room did too. :lol:

Btw seen "A decade under the influence" a popular documentary on 70's cinema. Decent watch.

ajaybaskar
10th February 2010, 06:22 PM
Drag me to hell.

After a long long time, a good horror movie to watch..

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 06:30 PM
Good to know Raimi has gone back to his forte, horror. Gotto watch it !

ajaybaskar
10th February 2010, 07:43 PM
Good to know Raimi has gone back to his forte, horror. Gotto watch it !

TBF, i didnt like Evil Dead. I watched it only a couple of yrs back and the movie was hilarious. But this one is good... :D

kid-glove
10th February 2010, 08:16 PM
:D I like deliberate laughs in horror movie.

P_R
11th February 2010, 04:21 PM
Watched about 30 mins of White balloon (Iranian film) this morning on Waeld Movies.

Very impressive, particularly the child's acting.
Children are so universal and I am getting old.

oru trip pfullA pAkkaNum.

kid-glove
11th February 2010, 04:23 PM
Written by Kiarostami I think. Directorial debut by Jafar Panahi.

It has to be GOOD.

ajithfederer
11th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Husbands and Wives : Started out pretty well but at the end it was like watching "Paarthale paravasam" in inglees. May be its bcos of the subject matter.

kid-glove
11th February 2010, 10:13 PM
Husbands and Wives : Started out pretty well but at the end it was like watching "Paarthale paravasam" in inglees. May be its bcos of the subject matter.

Could be :lol: :lol:

But it should be said in reverse. :P

ajithfederer
11th February 2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah you are right. But i was talking aby the similar experience :P.

Could be :lol: :lol:

But it should be said in reverse. :P

P_R
11th February 2010, 10:57 PM
padaththai naan paarthadhillai.
irundhaalum kambErisanai kaNdikkarEn

Aalavanthan
13th February 2010, 04:02 AM
Invictus - :yes:
Excellent portrayal from Client Eastwood on a true story and both my favs Morgan and Matt were just awesome as the main characters .. The entire crowd in the hall stood still even after the running titles were playing at the end...

The power of any sport to unite people .. Now need to dig out more of Client Eastwood's movies.. Next up should be the all famous Million Dollar Baby.. Just killing myself on how I missed his directorial movies... :twisted: at self

ajithfederer
14th February 2010, 02:02 AM
Desperado

Now you have everything in this. Innovative action scenes, cool music, a villain hellbent on revenge, bad ass hero, guitar box pals with dodgy weapons and super sexy Salma as heroine. Actually salma va pathi pesikittae pogalam :yes: :exactly:. A slick flick within the parameters.

kid-glove
14th February 2010, 02:20 AM
Desperado

Now you have everything in this. Innovative action scenes, cool music, a villain hellbent on revenge, bad ass hero, guitar box pals with dodgy weapons and super sexy Salma as heroine. Actually salma va pathi pesikittae pogalam :yes: :exactly:. A slick flick within the parameters.

:shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :smokesmirk:

AravindMano
14th February 2010, 11:28 AM
The White Ribbon. I was all set to post here "not Hanake's best", "meandering", "so who did it?" etc., But before i could, I was able to recollect a lot of scenes which seem to have an importance. Desperately want to revisit it, may be tonight.

Still I couldn't shake off a feeling that the film is not taut - though it serves well as this is after all the "distant memories" of a schoolmaster. And, whoa, the schoolmaster does provide an objective view of events, almost till the end.

I thought the film was very Bergmanesque, if you know what i mean. The cinematography and the tone are so reminiscent of his films and so do the Pastor (strongly reminds me of Fanny And Alexendar). And yeah, the film looks so gorgeous! Heck, it should win the Best Cinematography.

All I can say now, its a deceiving film :)

Appu s
14th February 2010, 11:16 PM
Crash - whites,blacks,iranians,chinesh or koreons? a rich women,a poor people....cops..criminals.. so many linked scenes together....liked the screenplay :bow: one thing is coming again and again, everyone's assumptions by seeing them infront actually went wrong, thought that cop actually a racist.... the gun shopper thinks that the iranian is arab... few more to add. enjoyed the movie :thumbsup:

AravindMano
15th February 2010, 11:23 AM
Watched "The White Ribbon" again, ah, loved it. I think tautness of this film depends on the viewer :D meticulously framed film and a mesmerizing film!

SPOILETS Getting into the whodunnit thing might not be a smart thing, but it look so obvious and ambiguous at once - full credits to the performances - the kids were just awesome. I read so many predictions about the Pastor being the culprit, but somehow couldn't accept it.

I think the movie works very well even without the WWI context. (Say, I didnt know who this dude Archduke Ferdinand is, when the film announces he is dead) END OF SPOILERS

Should be a strong contender for the award, if the Academy doesn't shun away the Cannes winners as it did in the previous years!

kid-glove
15th February 2010, 12:36 PM
Arnofsky: When the teacher investigates Pastor's kids, do they know the complexity (and act) or they seriously don't get it..
Haneke: (digresses) [as if to say, I know where you're heading. I'll play a detour]
Arnofsky: Every character of your movie is so much more complex than a full hollywood movie (clever one Darren)
Haneke: (grins) :P
Arnofsky: Did you know who did it? (Here you go ! )
Haneke: Maybe (laughs)

Well played :lol:

"The White Ribbon", like most other Haneke films, is hitting at ambiguity (with its "turn of the screw" guise and children at core of it, Mr.Henry James is well reeked-of) without which the central themes of suspicion and guilt would lose its all pervading elaborate scheme. It's almost as if he preserves it for eternity. Besides, The white man's burden and self-guilt is always being hinted at, in his films. I read mainstream bloggers/reviewers accusing of arthouse fixation of white middle-class masochism, misanthropy and distrust to self-serving extent of self-therapy, which many seem to bring this up regd Von trier as well. To defend this charge (not that I fully agree with it in first place), we need to tread age-old territory of nature of art, life's imperfections and life-embodying struggle that percolates into film as a medium. But I especially take offence at singling out these filmmakers as formulaic ( for bare few exceptions, it's universally true), and more than ever, the contrivances are complex and built well, without being for the heck of it.

Agree re. Bergman-esque feel at different points, especially with the narrative, widescape view, and shot choreography. I was reminded of Fanny och Alexander with some characters myself. Yet, in an ironic way, it's not anything like a Bergman film. Some say Haneke's style is Dreyer or Antinioni from a stylistic point of view, but still the films aren't anything like theirs. Haneke is one of his kind. In deed.

kid-glove
15th February 2010, 12:53 PM
It's also worth noting the introductory self-disclaimer "I don't know if the story that I want to tell you, reflects the truth in every detail. Much of it I only know by hearsay, and a lot of it remains obscure to me even today, and I must leave it in darkness. Many of these questions remain without answer. But I believe I must tell of the strange events that occurred in our village, because they may cast a new light on some of the goings-on in this country." of the narrator.

Like many historical anecdotes really, the fiction bodes well with unreliable narrator or narrative. :)

AravindMano
15th February 2010, 02:05 PM
It's almost as if he preserves it for eternity.
:D

Haneke is one of his kind. In deed.
True.

It's also worth noting the introductory self-disclaimer "I don't know if the story that I want to tell you, reflects the truth in every detail. Much of it I only know by hearsay, and a lot of it remains obscure to me even today, and I must leave it in darkness. Many of these questions remain without answer. But I believe I must tell of the strange events that occurred in our village, because they may cast a new light on some of the goings-on in this country." of the narrator.

You know, when i was watching the film for the second time, each and every word in this, as he utters, was like dropping a bomb shell :lol:

The white man's burden and self-guilt is always being hinted at, in his films.

Interestingly, I find a similarity between "Cache" and "The White Ribbon". Much of the tension that builds up in "Cache" is attributed allegorically as the consequences of Paris Massacre where as here, in "The White Ribbon", it's the other way, the tension creeps its way to the WWI.

kid-glove
15th February 2010, 03:22 PM
The white man's burden and self-guilt is always being hinted at, in his films.

Interestingly, I find a similarity between "Cache" and "The White Ribbon". Much of the tension that builds up in "Cache" is attributed allegorically as the consequences of Paris Massacre where as here, in "The White Ribbon", it's the other way, the tension creeps its way to the WWI.

Agreed. That's why it seems a long awaited piece-de-resistance.

Self-serving scheming of any given generation and its percolating across one's genealogy through suspicion, guilt and repercussion, the immediate being Parent-children, is explored time and again. That's again shared by both "White Ribbon" and "Cache", among other Haneke films. :)

AravindMano
15th February 2010, 05:54 PM
Self-serving scheming of any given generation and its percolating across one's genealogy through suspicion, guilt and repercussion, the immediate being Parent-children, is explored time and again. That's again shared by both "White Ribbon" and "Cache", among other Haneke films. :)

:shock: Took some time for me to understand, yeah, I think I did :lol:

is explored time and again

Just curious, any particular film you have in your mind?

kid-glove
15th February 2010, 06:04 PM
It was a general statement considering Haneke's oeuvre in full. Ranging from being a recurring motif to indirect reminder. Without stressing too much on self-serving, I'd say everything incl. "Glaciation trilogy" serves to mind. You agree?

kid-glove
15th February 2010, 06:07 PM
"Funny games" would be an obvious exception.

AravindMano
15th February 2010, 06:09 PM
Oh okay. I thought you were talking outside Haneke's work.

I have watched only Cache and this one. Have heard about the Glaciation triology, good things ofcourse. Wanting to watch "71 Fragments of the Chronology of Chance", espescially, what a title for a film!

kid-glove
15th February 2010, 06:10 PM
Having made that point, one is also constantly aware of the external (director's ?) hand in the scheme, hitherto unknown, that makes it all the more interesting and ambiguous.

AravindMano
15th February 2010, 06:19 PM
True.

Do you think "The White Ribbon" has such "external" or post-modern devices? I mean, there is every possibility that there could be. But unlike "Cache", which had strong indications, I think "The White Ribbon" is complete, it has every internal evidence we want to look for. Even if it had such external factors, I think its thoroughly disguised as a part of the fiction.

kid-glove
15th February 2010, 06:58 PM
Agree, there are no explicit indications. The narrator's own exposition is a moot point and he admits so himself, "Many of these questions remain without answer." Fore-worded it well. So we'd have to make peace with lack of evidence on his part.

kid-glove
16th February 2010, 12:30 AM
"The hurt locker" - not bad. The shaky handheld camera set up on different geographical spots, is nothing new. Handheld cameras serves the purpose of being up-close, shaky and could do off any moment, embodying the very essence of "bombs". On the other hand, a diff kind of action choreography would have suited the calm and composed skill-set required to put on the suit.
The ending was a let-down. I mean come on ffs !

Appu s
16th February 2010, 11:06 PM
Following - i guess its a very low budget movie,but why nolan made it in black and white? however i thoroughly enjoyed his non-linear debut :2thumbsup:
good twist thriller a la film-noir :D :thumbsup:

great
16th February 2010, 11:55 PM
Following - i guess its a very low budget movie,but why nolan made it in black and white? however i thoroughly enjoyed his non-linear debut :2thumbsup:
good twist thriller a la film-noir :D :thumbsup:

Budget problem. The Actor and Actress who were part of this movie financed. I read somewhere the movie was shot only during the weekends or during holidays.

ajithfederer
17th February 2010, 12:13 AM
Taken only during the weekends.

Appu s
17th February 2010, 12:26 AM
Taken in Just 6000$ :shock:

Nolan :clap: :clap:

AravindMano
17th February 2010, 10:09 AM
Agree, there are no explicit indications. The narrator's own exposition is a moot point and he admits so himself, "Many of these questions remain without answer." Fore-worded it well. So we'd have to make peace with lack of evidence on his part.

oh yeah, right!

Aalavanthan
17th February 2010, 08:38 PM
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:04 pm Post subject:
Apocalypto - Wanting to see this movie for a longtime.. even have a ripped version but atlast made it couple of days ago when they showed this on TV .

Good movie.. enna madhiri STD ellam theriyadha makkaluku inga yaaravadhu help pannungalaen.. Climaxla kappal-la vara English duraimaargal-a oruthan Columbus-aa ?

kid-glove
17th February 2010, 08:48 PM
Climaxla kappal-la vara English duraimaargal-a oruthan Columbus-aa ?
Yes.

ajithfederer
18th February 2010, 07:53 AM
The Insider - Very Good.

Russell Crowe and Al Pacino were excellent 8-)

littlemaster1982
18th February 2010, 08:03 AM
Sherlock Holmes - quite good :thumbsup: Loved the score by Hans Zimmer :musicsmile:

Appu s
18th February 2010, 01:38 PM
Cellular - ok movie lah, good time pass action movie.

Vivasaayi
18th February 2010, 08:52 PM
The man from earth - interesting plot ..worth a watch

Bin-jip(3 iron) - again a movie which leaves a lot to the viewers interpretation - got boring at times - still a good watch..liked few moments and thoughts in the movie :)

ajithfederer
18th February 2010, 08:54 PM
:boo: :D.

Sherlock Holmes - quite good :thumbsup: Loved the score by Hans Zimmer :musicsmile:

littlemaster1982
18th February 2010, 09:09 PM
AF,

Neenga edhuvum post panneengala SH patthi? Couldn't find anything when I searched yesterday.

ajithfederer
18th February 2010, 09:11 PM
No I'm happy that somebody likes Sherlock Holmes. As it is naan innum paakala.

AF,

Neenga edhuvum post panneengala SH patthi? Couldn't find anything when I searched yesterday.

great
19th February 2010, 12:37 AM
Bin-jip(3 iron) - again a movie which leaves a lot to the viewers interpretation - got boring at times - still a good watch..liked few moments and thoughts in the movie :)

I liked this movie movie than spring,automn..... Pretty good movie :2thumbsup:

AravindMano
19th February 2010, 11:13 AM

:thumbsup: My fav!

kid-glove
19th February 2010, 11:47 AM

:thumbsup:

The Pastor's boy in your avatar, has a close resemblance to Mia Farrow in Rosemary's baby. :lol:

AravindMano
19th February 2010, 12:28 PM

The Pastor's boy in your avatar, has a close resemblance to Mia Farrow in Rosemary's baby. :lol:

Is it, haven't watched it. Anyways, one of the harshest kid-faces I have ever seen. Single-handedly he makes me suspect the entire group of children in that film :lol:

Sid_316
19th February 2010, 01:16 PM

Awesome movie.. Loved it.. defn features in my top 10 :)

AravindMano
19th February 2010, 01:26 PM

Awesome movie.. Loved it.. defn features in my top 10 :)

groucho070
19th February 2010, 02:09 PM
High Anxiety (1977).

Finally. One of Mel Brooks best. Easily.

Like NOV said in one of his comments, spoof makers should take a look at Mel Brooks pre90s films for inspiration. How has this genre descended to puke machines like Superhero Movie?

ajithfederer
19th February 2010, 10:49 PM
The Lives of Others (2006) :clap:

Vivasaayi
20th February 2010, 09:47 PM
Simon of the desert :clap: :thumbsup:

what a finale!!!

Prabo
20th February 2010, 11:56 PM
Hot Fuzz - Very Entertaining :thumbsup:

P_R
22nd February 2010, 12:16 PM
Alice

Is Mia Farrow the greatest actress of all time.
Or would that be Diane Keaton.

kid-glove
22nd February 2010, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't know about that.

Which period saw the best of him, Woody-Farrow or Woody-Keaton, now that in itself is a daunting question. Considering they are both like apples and oranges to me.

kid-glove
22nd February 2010, 12:54 PM
I was watching the "making of" documentary of "Rosemary's baby". She looked pale, miserable and weak, much like the character. Polanski aptly cast Farrow, she was recovering from her own traumas after failed marriage to Sinatara. She also talks about that famous trip to India with her sister, which coincided with Beatles trip, to meet Maharishi. In the docu, She does some weird looks, painting on set, dancing on a trance, and seemed like a hippie on weeds. :lol:

Seemed more of philistine. Makes me wonder about the meeting, and ensuing relationship with Woody Allen. The transformation to highbrow universe of Woody Allen.

kid-glove
22nd February 2010, 01:00 PM
Btw, the straightforward dramas, "September" and "Another woman"(along with "Interiors" forms a trinity of ode to Bergman, rather blatantly) are eminently recommended. Farrow is great.

P_R
22nd February 2010, 01:43 PM
In Alice

>she consciously comes on strongly to a stranger
>is miserably misunderstood evn by her closest
>does not know what she is talking about several times and is an intellectual embarassment to her husband (shades of Annie Hall !)
> she gets in touch with 'what she thinks' are her failings and reaches out to a distanced sister. But she is doing that so there can be one person she can talk to (brag to ?)
> she is stumped by the 'categorizations' of her TV producer acquaintance. Who is she ? Actually 'who' is headed ? 'Who' in others' categorizations is she headed. Brilliant last scene in the movie where her visuals are shown with gossip-voiceovers.
> she shows her 'real' self to the stranger in the circus and appears to be battling shyness. But she is expressionly shrewd and probing in asking him the questions
> Her sister who was 'once close' perhaps knows little about her. She may have been surprised by Alec Baldwin too !
> She is not naive in a simpletonish sense. She is aware of others' awareness of her naivete. But she goes about it her own way. Not in a "the naive are people too" chest thumping manner.
> Was she not aware of her starry eyedness till her mother came around her told her ? No I don't think so. She just saw the world the way she wanted to see it (Abbas Tyrewala IMO dropped the ball in this wonderful idea when writing Meghna in JTYJN)
> The opium smoking scene
> The backgammon night cancellation/rendesvouz - the infectious tension in her demeanour
> Taking it out on her 'boyfriend'
> Her husband's affair does not devastate her, it liberates her (Synecdoche couples therapy scene + Adaptation 'plants have no memory' dialogue).

It is a very subtle, demanding role and she seemed to pull it off with ease.

I have seen more variety with Keaton but will push the Keaton comparison to another day. :lol2:

kid-glove
22nd February 2010, 01:49 PM
She does reveal a lot explicitly, "don't try to psychoanalyze me".

groucho070
23rd February 2010, 07:46 AM
Is Mia Farrow the greatest actress of all time.
Or would that be Diane Keaton.Neither :twisted: They are good in WA's film. Keaton was the weakest link for me in the Godfather films, which thankfully made up by others. Woody wrote most of the script with them in mind, their strength and stuff. Other than Woody and a few films here and there, I can't see where these two excelled.

Suddenly I am reminded of Sondra Locke....Talaivaaa yen talaivaaa yeen :evil: :(

groucho070
23rd February 2010, 08:17 AM
What a Way To Go (1964).

Ashamed to say, being a Paul Newman fan, I didn't know this film exist. But for a reason, coz Paul's is just an episode in this star filled vehicle for the superb Shirley MacLaine (who, in my book, could be the greatest actress of all time). Very entertaining, goofy, at times surreal film directed by the great J. Lee Thompson.

ajithfederer
23rd February 2010, 10:42 AM
Few scenes of the Freshman in cable

Brando :rotfl2:

Bala (Karthik)
24th February 2010, 12:25 AM
Waltz With Bashir - second half in UTV World Movies
Beautiful but karuthu reedhiya prachanai dhaan

Bala (Karthik)
24th February 2010, 12:27 AM
Sometime back i started watching Alice but couldn't go beyond 10-15 minutes or something (given that many things are going to be similar anyway, either Woody or something special is needed to sustain interest) And Mia Farrow "unna pidikkala dhanaala adichen" case for me :twisted:

AravindMano
24th February 2010, 11:16 AM
Waltz With Bashir - second half in UTV World Movies
Beautiful but karuthu reedhiya prachanai dhaan

nalla vELa. enakku edhum puriyala.

ajithfederer
26th February 2010, 11:59 PM
Leon the Professional - Padu paavi pasanga they cutted all the scenes of mathilda training.

Natalie Portman - I am convinced. Pengal koondhal iyarkayilae manam irukkunnu solra madhiri they can naturally act. :P

Appu s
2nd March 2010, 12:50 PM
Watched two movies yesterday

Enemy of the state, will smith starred - ok movie
Usual suspects(2nd time) - :2thumbsup:

groucho070
2nd March 2010, 02:57 PM
Usual suspects(2nd time) - :2thumbsup:Always wondered if I would enjoy it second time. The climax is everything. But then, the ride was swell as well, good script.

Appu s
2nd March 2010, 03:19 PM
Usual suspects(2nd time) - :2thumbsup:Always wondered if I would enjoy it second time. The climax is everything. But then, the ride was swell as well, good script.
Yes, even i was not so interest to continue once after the first scene between hidden Keyser and keyton,but watched it, if there any clue we could identify who is soze. :D

Kambar_Kannagi
2nd March 2010, 03:24 PM
ELI புத்தகம்

VENKIRAJA
2nd March 2010, 04:12 PM
Yes, even i was not so interest to continue once after the first scene between hidden Keyser and keyton,but watched it, if there any clue we could identify who is soze. :D

All time favorite film.

kid-glove
2nd March 2010, 04:32 PM
Bryan Singer and Christopher McQuarrie tangle each other to be Keyser Soze, and in the end, we give up !

Aalavanthan
2nd March 2010, 04:46 PM

:notworthy: The best villain portrayal of all time.. I cant get enough of how well they have shooted the family blast episode (been a while since I have watched this) to show his cruelty ..

Appu s
2nd March 2010, 05:07 PM
Bryan Singer and Christopher McQuarrie tangle each other to be Keyser Soze, and in the end, we give up !
:lol:
is there any other scene other than that FAX and hospitalised Hungarian to prove that Verbal is Keyser soze?

ajaybaskar
2nd March 2010, 05:09 PM
Watched 47 minutes of Edge of Darkness. So far so good.

AravindMano
3rd March 2010, 12:52 PM
Digression - related news - Jafar Panahi Arrested in Iran for unconfirmed political reasons. (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/03/02/iranian-director-arrested.html)

kid-glove
3rd March 2010, 01:06 PM
The press watchdog had kept the reasons discreet. Awaiting inaccurate, furnished reasons. Non-political reasons when it's abundantly clear that it's due to his involvement with Green movement. :banghead:

VENKIRAJA
6th March 2010, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E71rjvzuPCI

ajaybaskar
7th March 2010, 11:34 AM
Watched 47 minutes of Edge of Darkness. So far so good.

Ok kinda movie.. I have seen a similar movie long time back.

But I was thoroughly entertained by another movie.. 'The Hurt Locker'. Thanks to LM for introducing this one.. It deserves an academy award for best film...

kid-glove
7th March 2010, 12:36 PM
Re. Hurt Locker
Of all three main characters, it's clear as crystal, Will is obsessed, and persistent, despite the emotional and physical turmoil. The bloke hasn't got a soul back home who is mildly interested with his urge to be back to field, and the war anecdotes, except if we consider the amusement of his baby-child who doesn't understand a thing he says. And his ex-wife, still living with him, is seemingly "okay" with it. In an earlier scene, he takes offence at Sanborn's demeaning assertion of her as "dumb" to still live with him, and cuts back she's just loyal, but she doesn't look any interested in him either. So, William puts-on a pretense of the meaningless relationship. But after that, the whole Delta army thing, heavy metal, and subtitled "365 days for rotation", is extremely loud.

We get that EOD is not only his vocation and interest, and keeps his adrenaline going, but the only "love" he could afford to be in. The heavy metal music he often listens to, used as BGM as he opts to stay forever, having joined Delta company. That ending was really not necessary. At least doing it that explicitly (which until then, was quite subtle), is slightly cringe-inducing. In fact, in one of the roundtable discussion on script writing, almost every award nominated scriptwriter joked it needs a rewrite. I agree.

kid-glove
8th March 2010, 01:23 AM
The Road

Adapted from the depressing, cathartic, yet poetic and beautiful, award-winning novel written by Cormac Mccarthy. One of the best speculative post-apocalyptic fiction I've ever read. The film was able to create the characters (some of the best acting performances of the year gets snubbed by awards, Duh ! ), the mood, and the alternating POVs. Yet it achieves most with a slightly prosaic touch. The images were starkly reproduced from words without some of the poetry, that the landscape evokes a whole differently from that of the book, naturally a chunk of author's description (pedagogics that the medium could afford) is missed out. A lot to see in the imagery, but one could never achieve the level of articulateness and poetry of the book. As is the complaint of the emotional core being scarcely brought out, but it's always going to be difficult to compare the perceived beauty from different mediums. Overall, a commendable effort. Much better than some of the inferior works being nominated for awards. Perhaps the weight of its source material, had pulled it down...

Aalavanthan
8th March 2010, 06:00 PM
Alice in Wonderland 3D

one of the papers here marked it as Rubbish. Testing your patience for a change, with a 3D :oops:

groucho070
10th March 2010, 07:31 AM
Australia.

The African Queen influence notwithstanding, it was quite entertaining.

Hugh Jackman gets a Leonesque intro. Probably for a reason (http://www.google.com.my/imglanding?q=hugh%20jackman%20clint%20eastwood&imgurl=http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/9/128680455296225723.jpg&imgrefurl=http://totallylookslike.com/2008/10/15/clint-eastwood-totally-looks-like-wolverine/&h=271&w=401&sz=25&tbnid=dAwCf_QhJXSmJM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhugh%2Bjackman%2Bclint%2Beastwood&usg=__swSMGmbpDStAO0tMdcGPVNpfcQM=&ei=GPyWS4n7HYH-7APk5pWVBQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&ved=0CAYQ9QEwAA&start=0#tbnid=SpQVa_bnukQSXM&start=16)

Kambar_Kannagi
10th March 2010, 07:34 AM
Australia.

The African Queen influence notwithstanding, it was quite entertaining.

Hugh Jackman gets a Leonesque intro. Probably for a reason (http://www.google.com.my/imglanding?q=hugh%20jackman%20clint%20eastwood&imgurl=http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/9/128680455296225723.jpg&imgrefurl=http://totallylookslike.com/2008/10/15/clint-eastwood-totally-looks-like-wolverine/&h=271&w=401&sz=25&tbnid=dAwCf_QhJXSmJM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhugh%2Bjackman%2Bclint%2Beastwood&usg=__swSMGmbpDStAO0tMdcGPVNpfcQM=&ei=GPyWS4n7HYH-7APk5pWVBQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&ved=0CAYQ9QEwAA&start=0#tbnid=SpQVa_bnukQSXM&start=16)

Nicole Kidman பற்றி ஓரிரு வார்த்தைகள்... :)

groucho070
10th March 2010, 07:50 AM
She did okay. An Australian actress playing an English Aristrocrat in wild Australian frontier. Only an English can tell whether she nailed the accent. The African Queen comparison-la, nichayamaa Hepburn-a jeyikka mudiyathu. Not award winning performance. Entha award-nu ketkathengga. :P

ajaybaskar
10th March 2010, 12:06 PM
The Recruit..

Good movie with reasonable twists and turns. But do we need an Al Pacino to don this role?

kid-glove
10th March 2010, 12:09 PM
The Recruit..

Good movie with reasonable twists and turns. But do we need an Al Pacino to don this role?

Good kostin. Maybe he needed to do this role for money..

groucho070
10th March 2010, 12:21 PM
The Recruit..

Good kostin. Maybe he needed to do this role for money..I read somewhere someone grumbling that after Scent of Woman, Pacino was making money doing Pacino impressions :lol:

kid-glove
10th March 2010, 12:37 PM
As is Nicholson (started parodying his own expressions), even in some of his acclaimed films, and to some extent, De niro (altho he renders a heartfelt performance in "Everybody's fine", as much as a contrived, formulaic film it is)

Coppola said it best. Likes of Pacino, De niro and Nicholson do these films, without pushing themselves (the way Brando, did in his later career, but then that was 70's ! Or O'Toole, :notworthy: ). And Coppola had some scathing comments too, that they have girlfriend, wife, ex-wives and children to support and pay alimony to :lol2: And in case of Nicholson, indulgence with Lakers, and De niro, opening restaurants and developing TriBeCa.

He has a point. Contrast their early career, they continually chose to work with auteurs and in challenging projects. Whether it's 1900/Bertolucci for Deniro or Passenger/Antonioni for Nicholson, the passion was always there. Not anymore.. :(

groucho070
10th March 2010, 01:06 PM
...and then there was Eastwood :wink:

I suppose they still have it in them. Did you see Angels in America? Beginning it was Pacino doing Pacino, but later he really moves you. I saw the De Niro magic back in City By The Sea, still haven't seen the new one. Coppola has his points, but if I were either De Niro or Pacino, I'd ask, "nee mattum enna periya tillalanggadiya? Neeyum un saarayamum :evil: " :D

ajithfederer
14th March 2010, 11:52 AM
Deconstructing Harry - :fatigue:. Outdated is an understatement.

ajaybaskar
14th March 2010, 11:56 AM

From here on I am not gonna watch Emmerich's movies. He is no way different from our own perarasu. He makes movies with same storyline but (thankfully) with different set of actors.

kid-glove
14th March 2010, 06:15 PM

A bit dated in its kitschy set decoration?! As for its place in his filmography, Au Revoir to The-Man-who-couldn't-function-in-life-but-can-function-in-art played by Woody himself. It would also signal the end of longtime collaborators, Di Palma's cinematography and Editor Susan Morse's penultimate film (the edits incl. the jumpcuts, blurring characters out, the transition within film's reality/fiction is one of their flashy experimental work, one of the best, among Zelig and Stardust Memories). And I'd say the team gave the best shot, even if let down by low budgets. I'm guessing the film didn't make money and the studio/production houses, eventually, forced Woody to involuntarily retire his trademark role and stick to playing supportive (like Scoop, Anything Else) and optimistic lead types (like Hollywood Ending, Small Time Crooks, Curse of Jade Scorpion). :(

As for thematic content, Adultery, Art/life demarcation are timeless. Tour-de-force narrative style that goes back and forth, and using Bergman/Fellini devices (artist envisaging fictional characters to explicate real-life situation, the short cameo of Death, different life-experiences played out, etc). The different snippets come off as a parody of sorts, a bit sit-comish. It's very interesting to see Woody going radical on age-old tools (:P) to amuse the audience.

Besides, the overt usage of expletives, and the outright self-depreciation through deconstruction of Harry's life, bears a vague resemblance to Woody's own life (not that I agree or approve of it), helps it age better. :D

It's a good companion piece to many different films in his filmography, but especially Stardust memories, although that is a lot more experimental and serious. :)

ajaybaskar
14th March 2010, 06:20 PM
500 days of summer.

Awesome. Thanking LM again for recommending such a movie. Didn't expect it to be so good..

P_R
14th March 2010, 06:39 PM
RatK-Mr.PaxtaBrookstuille

P_R
14th March 2010, 06:40 PM
Have only seen the out-of-focus sequence
adhukkaagave paakkaNum pOla irundhuchchu. Will soon

P_R
14th March 2010, 09:11 PM
Cache

What's with the ending ??? So damn annoying.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film but that last shot is like a bland dessert after a nice meal. Why I say !

Sid_316
14th March 2010, 09:34 PM
Cache

What's with the ending ??? So damn annoying.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film but that last shot is like a bland dessert after a nice meal. Why I say !

Thats the main highlight of the film.. Spoiler : U never know who did it.. its upto the viewer to make out :) Cache means hidden :P

P_R
14th March 2010, 11:03 PM
Sid, please remove the misleading Spoiler off your post :lol2:

It felt like he violated a contract with the audience. I know there can be "this what it is" type 'explanation' but it felt real nasty.

The main highlight was the gripping writing, the characterization of Georges, writing of the difficulty of 'explaining' , discomfort about 'sharing', the performances.Nuanced writing. The tapes, when it cuts to rewind and pause its freaky, the setting, the TV amid the book wall with news raining in perpetually.

The downsides were the loose ended do-it-yourself-ness, the celebrated suicide scene etc.

groucho070
15th March 2010, 07:34 AM
Stanley, Deconstructing Harry works a lot better if you have seen most of his earlier stuff, being an appreciator of earlier Woody films, I really liked it a lot. Especially the out-of-focus :lol: sequence. Loved Billy Crystal's Devil and his cracks, the "black hole" :lol: , and lots of stuff you might like if you take another look at it.

And I am 100% behind Thilaks comment above. Give it another try, Stan. I never fail to revisit this film as often as I can.

Bala (Karthik)
15th March 2010, 01:11 PM
Idi Simotri (Come and See) - Russian
What a movie :notworthy:
The best (anti)war film i have seen. A very personal film and every frame is gripping

Bala (Karthik)
15th March 2010, 01:11 PM
I enjoyed Deconstructing Harry

P_R
15th March 2010, 02:06 PM
Before Sunrise

Remember liking it when I saw it long time back. It is strictly good only.

Sid_316
15th March 2010, 06:44 PM
Sid, please remove the misleading Spoiler off your post :lol2:

It felt like he violated a contract with the audience. I know there can be "this what it is" type 'explanation' but it felt real nasty.

The main highlight was the gripping writing, the characterization of Georges, writing of the difficulty of 'explaining' , discomfort about 'sharing', the performances.Nuanced writing. The tapes, when it cuts to rewind and pause its freaky, the setting, the TV amid the book wall with news raining in perpetually.

The downsides were the loose ended do-it-yourself-ness, the celebrated suicide scene etc.

Lol! :D illa adhukukaaga dhan andha peru cache nu vechanga nu sonnen.. i read an interesting write up about this movie somewhere.. will post the link soon

kid-glove
15th March 2010, 11:21 PM
City by the sea

- Thanks for the recommend, Groucho. What a truly understated, emotional (without fully breaking down once coz that's how the character is, and the scene in the autoshop when he talks to his son, despairing and from the heart. He just is Vincent LaMarca :notworthy: ), nuanced performance by the great man. Lovely :clap:

kid-glove
15th March 2010, 11:30 PM
Did you see Angels in America? Beginning it was Pacino doing Pacino, but later he really moves you.
Next !

complicateur
15th March 2010, 11:52 PM
The downsides were the loose ended do-it-yourself-ness, the celebrated suicide scene etc.RanganAr on the film (http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2009/04/03/part-of-the-picture-hidden-motives-hidden-meanings/). With a pointer by yours truly in the comments section.

ajaybaskar
15th March 2010, 11:59 PM
Old dogs...

Expected more from Travolta and Robin Williams. Walt Disney lives up to the reputation of making films for (only) kids.

kid-glove
16th March 2010, 01:00 AM
[tscii:17065caf8e]
we begin to wonder if the point about the recordings isn’t who so much as why

(followed by many different questions without exploring much into any of 'em :mad:)

Bear with my self-serving, shameless plug, Anaylsis (http://www.notcoming.com/reviews/cache/) by notcoming, that explores my perplexed reaction towards Haneke's critique of different medium (of film in itself, resemblance of surveillance footage, of TV, home videotapes, distorted images - crayon work, indiscernible voice/sound over telephone), that it also serves to quench some of the genre expectations, by unsettling the characters, who firmly posit the bourgeois..

Haneke does not limit his analysis only to the viewer, but also to the medium in which images are delivered and received. The communication within Caché is noticeably hindered by the long-standing discord between cultures, whether due to prior political policy that still carries weight today or the concealed existing prejudices that have damaged the characters’ facility for compassion and intimacy. While basic discussion appears unsuccessful in Caché, certain methods of contact are able to pierce through the bourgeois shield, though their value varies. Interestingly, the most effective form of communication is the simple color drawing that seems to convey more meaning in its tiny size than any number of complex conversations. In fact, rather than the monotonous images on the irksome videotapes, it is the buried message within the crayon image that provides context for the video, exhumes memories, and provokes Georges to engage in his unwise pursuit. Oddly, more advanced methods of communication seem to deliver contentious results. The stream of images that video offers yields meaning only when context is provided, and the telephone does not require actual discourse while it obscures the identity of the speaker.
Meanwhile, Haneke is more severe when examining the medium of television. The presence of television seems unavoidable in Caché and its style even appears to invade dreams. Haneke is willing to concede that television serves an important function, especially considering it is the only means of deciphering the video-terrorist’s message. The medium is so fundamental to our comprehension of our surroundings that various characters keep piles of videotapes – perhaps as their own form of documentation – which they seem incapable of discarding. Unfortunately, as in previous Haneke films, television’s persistence inevitably leads to our desensitization. While a crude drawing allows us to concentrate on a single image, the incessant flood of images TV provides us usually allows us to ignore what we have become inundated by.
However, Caché also displays a more complex conception of television. Haneke’s most intriguing use of television comes during a family crisis as Georges and Anne frantically search for a suddenly missing Pierrot. During the scene, as a panicked Anne calls another parent, Haneke places his couple at the edges of the screen while he positions a television in the center of his frame. While the couple’s distress increases, the television streams though a series of images from a broadcast of international news. The footage details the ongoing conflicts and hardships of virtually every “brown” culture in the third world, speeding through images of Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs, and briskly moving from Palestine, to Afghanistan, to Iraq, to Kashmir. Understandably, the couple is too distracted to even note these sensational scenes of the world around them, yet the contrast of their problem to the misery of the foreigners underscores the disparity between nations. The choice of what to concentrate upon is clear for Georges and Anne, but a dilemma is created for the viewer. Do we watch the personal crisis of our fictional couple created in an artificial film, or do we gaze at the authentic footage of real people engaged in a constant catastrophe? On some level we must also ask if it is entirely acceptable for our central couple to completely ignore widespread global adversity for a personal problem. Viewers may also wonder if it is appropriate while watching a film to be diverted by a television screen that our eyes naturally gravitate towards.
What Haneke recognizes is that television is a compelling medium, but it is also an abstraction that allows viewers to maintain a comfortable distance from the subjects within the images being exhibited. That distance allows TV’s images to distract us, but also provides us the option to discard the product just as easily. Hence the distortion allows a TV audience to regard the Third-World populace within the footage as merely images forever trapped in a box that provides passive programming. Whether or not the reality the image is meant to convey remains elusive, Caché ultimately grants the spectator the power of realization. Since he is a TV personality who constantly watches TV and manipulates images both at work (removing a portion of his show during editing because it’s too theoretical) and at home, it’s reasonable to assume that Georges grasps the nature of television. Yet Georges still ignores visual information that does not directly affect his life. Thus, while Haneke often reprimands television for exploiting suffering and desensitizing viewers to violence, Caché also places the responsibility upon the spectator who decides to disregard the images presented to them. Caché may actually be Haneke’s most balanced representation of television’s function to date, since it seems the director is willing to admit the medium has value even while he critiques its use.
Discerning who actually commands the images within Caché and who exactly serves as the spectator to those images becomes an exasperating issue. It is important to distinguish that the film blends various media together and that the images are manipulated by a number of different parties. It is equally important to notice that the film’s audience and the film’s characters often share the same view, but that the film’s audience remains passive and unable to control the action or image. However, with both perspectives fused, the film’s audience should subject themselves to the same scrutiny imposed upon the fictional characters, and consider why exactly we choose to watch a fictionalized film that distorts, and distracts from, the reality of our surrounding world. Furthermore, Haneke appears to invite disapproval of his own decision to fashion an elaborate thriller, since he occasionally allows television, the very medium he constantly berates, to take control of his film.[/tscii:17065caf8e]

groucho070
16th March 2010, 08:22 AM
City by the sea

- Thanks for the recommend, Groucho. What a truly understated, emotional (without fully breaking down once coz that's how the character is, and the scene in the autoshop when he talks to his son, despairing and from the heart. He just is Vincent LaMarca :notworthy: ), nuanced performance by the great man. Lovely :clap: :thumbsup: Glad you liked it. Too bad it got buried amidst the Godsends and Analyse Thats :evil:

P_R
16th March 2010, 11:04 AM
The downsides were the loose ended do-it-yourself-ness, the celebrated suicide scene etc.RanganAr on the film (http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2009/04/03/part-of-the-picture-hidden-motives-hidden-meanings/). With a pointer by yours truly in the comments section.

Stumbled on a paragraph fraught with perhapses. Konjam gap vittuttu padikkarEn.

P_R
16th March 2010, 11:16 AM
Liked one commnentator (!) by the name Vijay there, who trashed The Shining. Now I know why I could never explain why I don't think much of that movie, he had used up my words. The distinction between "open-ended" and "ambiguous" he brings up is pretty important methinks. "Either could have been the case, we don't know" is so damn different from "neenga solra maadhiriyum sollalaam, avar solra maadhiriyum sollalaam". aahaa...slippery slope again.

kid-glove
16th March 2010, 12:51 PM
[tscii:5e68889704][/tscii:5e68889704]

P_R,
I don't think
"Either could have been the case, we don't know" is so damn different from "neenga solra maadhiriyum sollalaam, avar solra maadhiriyum sollalaam" is the problem here. But that "either could have been the case" is in itself a defect. I suppose if it works for him as in "Sixth sense", it's okay.

for starters, he says The “shining” itself doesnt find much use in the plot. Perhaps the title should have been "Overlook hotel claims Jack Torrance" :lol2: I suppose it's fair to say the film is as much about the kid and Wendy as it is about Jack. The shining is of the biggest significance in the plot, in that it brings about their escape and serves to close the history of carnage and the cycle of haunted caretakers, in Overlook. This is very easy to understand, but the commentator :lol2: seems to keep banging about the lack of accessibility.

Bee..R's post is predictable, but serves to provide closure to this utterly redundant debate..

I don’t think you should trust what filmmakers say about their films. For one thing, the really good ones love messing with your mind. For another, what they *wanted* to make and what they actually ended up making need not necessarily be the same movie, and the latter may well end up being “better.”

The rest of the points in your post are your subjective opinions and I respect them. But in general, with non-mainstream filmmakers (and Kubrick is certainly one, and Shining cannot be compared to Sixth Sense in many senses), I think it’s better to not expect that relief-offering sense of closure at the end of the film. It’s like how every novel need not necessarily have an ending, and some just leave you with the *experience* of it all. Of course, if you like your films (or books) to have an ending that ties up the plot points, than again, that’s your prerogative, and I can’t argue with that

groucho070
16th March 2010, 12:55 PM
Not quite off-topic I hope, Thilak, but have you seen the mini-series version of The Shining? The one King approved?

kid-glove
16th March 2010, 12:57 PM
Not quite off-topic I hope, Thilak, but have you seen the mini-series version of The Shining? The one King approved?
Not yet. Is it any good?

groucho070
16th March 2010, 01:00 PM
Not yet. Is it any good?Haven't myself. Considering King hated Kubrick's version, I suspect the mini-series must be horrible :P

P_R
16th March 2010, 01:58 PM
P_R, I don't think
"Either could have been the case, we don't know" is so damn different from "neenga solra maadhiriyum sollalaam, avar solra maadhiriyum sollalaam" is the problem here. But that "either could have been the case" is in itself a defect.
I am not sure I got that. When you say "either" could have been the case then it is adequately clear that the possibilities are, we just don't know what happened. On the other hand, the latter is leaving the audience to figure out what the whole thing is about.

It is not the irresolution that I find as problematic as much as the passing off of irresolution itself as an artistic virtue.

When the videos paused and rewound - I fell for it again and again, I loved that. Several brilliant scenes. The threatened one threatening, Georges' discomfort in sharing manifesting in several ways with several levels - all these I liked. But still I find it difficult to like the movie.

I felt similarly about Shining. Spooky fragments, plenty of awesome sequences (the kid's voice, the tricycling, all work and no play, the chase, the inserted frames of twins,blood, the ballroom, photo - I am recalling all this from a single viewing of the movie some 5 years back). But it was not a satisfying film.

Blairwitch-la illAdha irresolution-A, you don't know what the deuce is happening. That is a brilliant brilliant film. I am not sure I am as interested in watching The Shining.

kid-glove
16th March 2010, 03:21 PM
The problem is, the need to objectify Torrance's breakdown or what is happening, or anything in life, to one singular factor - the supernatural, the cabin-fever, or Torrance's personal situation.

The film is positing - the haunted history (in that it'sall-encompassing, all the way up to the reincarnate-suggestive snap) of Overlook, and Torrance's burden of raising his family, the yearning for alcohol, the writer's block, etc - as different causes . The plot is brought out with each of the above, and not just one singular purpose/reason.

But the problem raised by the comment there, is that it should be very specific and not the combination of the above. Strangely, he/she feels some of it is not even required like the "Shining", which btw IS.

Moreover, I feel there is a certain mechanism in trying to show a fully-wrought plot hinged on a very specific, isolated, Freudian reading, like the Rosebud for example :lol2: , and that it masks lack of talent and limitation.

Blairwitch-la illAdha irresolution-A, you don't know what the deuce is happening. That is a brilliant brilliant film.
Personally, that was a :fatigue:, but I intend to watch it again.
And yes, I know you are open to films with irresolution in its make-up. But with the action and thrills, you manage to enjoy. Ah, alright. I get it.

It is not the irresolution that I find as problematic as much as the passing off of irresolution itself as an artistic virtue.
I'm not with you, in terms of "Shining" or "Cache" being just about irresolution or its ambiguity, or that it is necessarily liked for its irresolution.

And, it's bombastic to go on about what constitutes artistic virtue and what does not. Some of my favorite works of art (be it books, or films) happen to have artist's deliberate ambiguity (not "irresolution", which is not saying the same thing) as one of its virtue (artistic or not), but I'm not hinging my liking entirely on this virtue. And of course, if life is sometimes inexplicable, irresolute, and absurd, some of it is bound to make its way to art. Or, if the artist wants to play within the medium, by introducing his own wand like in Haneke films, to bring out hidden secrets and experiences, it offers another interesting possibility of film making.

I'm not sure what's the fuss is about, apart from the fact that it's another subjective case of taking-in ones life experiences, and cultivated opinion/taste, to offer your own understanding of what is right or wrong, and apply it to what Art (or anything in life) should or should not be, in your view.

P_R
16th March 2010, 04:43 PM
The problem is, the need to objectify Torrance's breakdown or what is happening, or anything in life, to one singular factor - the supernatural, the cabin-fever, or Torrance's personal situation.
The film is positing - the haunted history (in that it'sall-encompassing, all the way up to the reincarnate-suggestive snap) of Overlook, and Torrance's burden of raising his family, the yearning for alcohol, the writer's block, etc - as different causes . The plot is brought out with each of the above, and not just one singular purpose/reason.

Not one single factor. A combination is fine too :-). Why, what...some lines in that direction. (I guess you are saying that much is already there in the film). May be this, may be that, may be both, may be all....leaves me cold.

Moreover, I feel there is a certain mechanism in trying to show a fully-wrought plot hinged on a very specific, isolated, Freudian reading, like the Rosebud for example :lol2: , and that it masks lack of talent and limitation. Eh ! Rosebud is unimaginative and Shining is !!! Thanks for the example - Rosebud was perfect dangle and deny - for me. Finally when giving up saying no-one thing can be something you can reduce a man's life to and then showing Rosebud, you don't know how much to value it. You can reduce and thing it was deathbed longing for days of yonder. Or that it was a deathbed blabber and wild goose chase was all it was. It offers multiple 'readings'. Perhaps I like it more because both readings are 'sanctioned' by that last line of the film.

But with the action and thrills, you manage to enjoy. Ah, alright. I get it. Hmm Shining had action and thrills too and I enjoyed them. Its just that it feels odd to like parts of the film without liking the whole.

It is not the irresolution that I find as problematic as much as the passing off of irresolution itself as an artistic virtue. I'm not with you, in terms of "Shining" or "Cache" being just about irresolution or its ambiguity, or that it is necessarily liked for its irresolution. Ok it is not liked "only" for that. I meant irresolution itself gaining regard when it is some cases relatively easier to write.

And of course, if life is sometimes inexplicable, irresolute, and absurd, some of it is bound to make its way to art. Exactly ! In fact to be able to do that one would have to be one helluva writer. I am trying to remember what's the last non-humorous absurd work I liked. ...still thinking.

Or, if the artist wants to play within the medium, by introducing his own wand like in Haneke films, to bring out hidden secrets and experiences, it offers another interesting possibility of film making. That much I accept. Usually I wouldn't have paid attention to claims of'making a statement about the medium itself' through film without much consideration. But Cache was offered some pretty interesting viewing precisely here.

I'm not sure what's the fuss is about, apart from the fact that it's another subjective case of taking-in ones life experiences, and cultivated opinion/taste, to offer your own understanding of what is right or wrong, and apply it to what Art (or anything in life) should or should not be, in your view. Of course ? What else is to be expected ? "It's a great movie, but I hate it" is something I can never bring myself to say. Sometimes I can perhaps say: I can understand why someone can like it. But even that is something I find very awkward thing to say.

When I dislike I try to understand why I don't. Quite obviously I bring up other dislikes of mine in comparison and connected by some weak strand of attempted reasoning.Or atleast I am trying to understand what it is that someone who likes a film likes in the film.

In this particular case I am interested particularly because so many parts of the film (first of his that I have watched) were good. Trying to understand if what I disliked about the film overall are kind of his signature.

Anyway Husbands and Wives downloading...:-)

kid-glove
16th March 2010, 06:27 PM
Just to clarify P_R, I'm not knocking "Rosebud" (in fact, I thought it was an essential crevice into Kane, and I rate the film as much as anybody), and with the way it was staged, you're sure it's more than just a deathbed blabber. It worked for me, any way. I'm just saying not all films ought to have an enhancement like "Rosebud" to corroborate what happened. It worked in "Citizen Kane". I'm also disconcerted about the comparison (on any scale) to "Sixth Sense" in BR's blog. Even if it offered a closure.

May be this, may be that, may be both, may be all....leaves me cold
Alright. This kind of inference could be unimaginative if it's just about the only thing. But when used without trepidation ("may" or "perhaps"), all the elements played out as aptly as in "The shining", it doesn't leave me cold. I'm left titillated and stimulated.

As for me, I'm going to check out "Cassandra's dream" again, after that discussion on "Match point". I didn't like it all that much before, but now I'm guessing it would make films like Lumet's "Before the devil knows you're dead" look silly.

AravindMano
17th March 2010, 12:16 PM
Fallen Angels. Went above my head. The dingy clubs, lights, soundtracks and angles - certainly gave a tone to the film. Should watch again.

ajaybaskar
17th March 2010, 12:33 PM
Death Sentence.

Seeing some -ive reviews, I didnt watch this DVD which i bought long time back.

Gonna stop reading reviews b4 watching a moviefrom now on. This is certainly not a movie to miss.

P_R
20th March 2010, 09:10 PM
Waking Life
Pretty good.
Rules padi pudikka koodAdhu, but I liked it very much.

complicateur
21st March 2010, 12:23 PM
I love you man - Very cliche'd and yet unexpectedly funny. Especially Jon Favreau.

ajaybaskar
21st March 2010, 12:29 PM
Marley & Me..

Awesome.. If you are a pet lover, this movie is surely gonna bring you down to tears.

Black water..

An aussie horror movie which keeps you on the edge throughout. Recommended...

kid-glove
21st March 2010, 03:42 PM
"Heat", in a single sitting. I took two the first time.

Michael Mann :notworthy:

Deniro :notworthy:

Pacino - Good, in bursts.

Genuine piece of inspiration and possibly the pinnacle of city cop/burglar flipside-of-the-coin procedural-cum-action films

No surprise to me that Nolan took this (and Mann's Collateral, thief, among others), and Blade runner as influences, when he made "The Dark knight". Bravo

kid-glove
21st March 2010, 04:12 PM
Deniro topples Pacino in nuance and depth of his character. Pacino's part is a deliberate antithesis of sorts, but a bit ineffective imho

P_R
21st March 2010, 09:09 PM
Waltz with Bashir

Good.
As I just saw Waking Life recently - I found it less engrossing.

B(K), regarding the paaltiks, I thought the "denial" was brought out quite well. idhukku mElayumA avinga kittErndhu edhir paartheenga :lol2:

kid-glove
21st March 2010, 11:24 PM
I guess it's the lack of oppressed (Palestinian and Lebanese, in this case) POV in mainstream, that worries B(K)

P_R
21st March 2010, 11:31 PM
I guess it's the lack of oppressed (Palestinian and Lebanese, in this case) POV in mainstream, that worries B(K)
Oh okay.
I thought it was the "we were only seeing from the sidelines, the phalangists were the ones massacring in camps in Lebanon" that was the problem. That is Israel's stated official stand. The film gave the feeling that it was exploring fublic conscience but did not go beyond.

adhai thaan solraarnu nenchchEn.

Anyway, I thought the 'personal exploration' part , struggling with the dominance of subjectivity, inability to make one simple sense of it all, were the things I liked about the film.

Waltz, and Waking Life - I surely wouldn't've enjoyed them if they were not animated films.

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 12:21 AM
Adhu (excepting) oru frablem, in this context!

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 12:25 AM
Waltz, and Waking Life - I surely wouldn't've enjoyed them if they were not animated films.
Perhaps why they were both animated, although through different means, drawing and rotoscoping respectively.

Bala (Karthik)
22nd March 2010, 02:02 AM
Oh okay.
I thought it was the "we were only seeing from the sidelines, the phalangists were the ones massacring in camps in Lebanon" that was the problem. That is Israel's stated official stand. The film gave the feeling that it was exploring fublic conscience but did not go beyond.

adhai thaan solraarnu nenchchEn.

Anyway, I thought the 'personal exploration' part , struggling with the dominance of subjectivity, inability to make one simple sense of it all, were the things I liked about the film.

Forget the phalangists, what were Israel doing there in the first place? (engalukku onnum theriyadhu ellam avinga dhaan senjaanga line-a argument ku othuppom).
Ivanga enna anga poi naathu nadava ponaanga?
The whole narrative was exactly the same as the American dream-peddling "we always mean good. We screwed up. See, we are taking a hard look at ourselves" noble crap. Either a complete purging of context or a twisting of the roles of the oppressor and oppressed

P.S: It was a very beautiful film

Bala (Karthik)
22nd March 2010, 02:06 AM
As for war psyche, anti-war etc etc, andha madhiri padam edutha ella directors-ayum 'Idi Smotri' pakka veikkanum.

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 02:06 AM
what were Israel doing there in the first place? (engalukku onnum theriyadhu ellam avinga dhaan senjaanga line-a argument ku othuppom).
Ivanga enna anga poi naathu nadava ponaanga?
:rotfl:

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 03:54 AM
As for war psyche, anti-war etc etc, andha madhiri padam edutha ella directors-ayum 'Idi Smotri' pakka veikkanum.

Depressing film. :( By the time the film ends, Floria's soul and everything within is crushed, and only his body is moving. In that final steadicam shot (the film, in tradition of Tarkovsky and Sheptiko, has many of them) accompanied by Mozart's Requiem, he is almost a corpse, among the corps who tread through, as the Great Patriotic war comes to close. The Partisan resistance is still neglected in pop culture, and not propagated by the Americans, brits or their over glorified war films. For every American soldier killing a german, eighty Soviet soldiers and plenty more civilians died. There could be a slight statistical misappropriation, but it's still worth mentioning. The documentary series "Russia's war - Blood upon the snow" is an essential viewing. Maybe there are more authentic books, but the series is eye-opening and informative.

The childish naivety and lack of seriousness as he dugs up a rifle, and then joins the partisan resistance. Over the course of the film, the traumas of losing his mother and sisters, and then losing fellow partisans in resistance and the livestock (a cow is shot dead, for live) in a exchange, and topped by the cruel setpiece where the majority in Byelorussian village are burnt alive (incl Children). Floria's coming of age (if you put it lightly) is in his brutal realization of what is to be in Partisan resistance. Klimov's message isn't really a political or patrimonial or even patriotic (even if is touted to be a patriotic struggle in historical terms), but more of a personal obligation and ultimately survival. Killing of Nazis and the self-betraying Russians, doesn't undo his loss any less (this of course, manifests into the infamous montage of Hitler's actual footage, played in reverse, as Floria shoots his framed image. The vain attempts to deny history, if ever only in his imagination). As I said, everything within is desensitized by the end (and is a lot more telling and direct than "Full metal jacket" could ever achieve, unless it centered on the Vietnam girl). Is what I like to think of it.

The soundtrack, especially after the boy Floria goes a part deaf because of air explosion towards the end of first act, is unbearable. There is an effective mix of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie (used in the final montage too) and different classical music to the sounds of woods, in rhythm with military echos and sounds. It's hellish, and I suppose, that's why it stands out as a cathartic experience that only cinema as a medium could dish out.

Regarding the war psyche, "The Cranes Are Flying" is a good point to start. But I'd like to think of "Come and see" in lineage of director Klimov's wife Sheptiko's "The Ascent", in themes of war psyche, courage, cowardliness, break of sanity, the role reversal, betrayal among Partisan resistance.."Come and see" attempts to touch on betrayal when some of Russians get shot along with Nazi officers by the Resistance. But it isn't as much concerned about inner working of the resistance as in "The Ascent". And of course, Tarkovsky's "Ivan's childhood", in Russian anthology.

And staying with war psyche, resistance and allies, the films by Rossellini, the first two parts of Neorealist trilogy (the third, which is on a flip-side to Resistance, on guilty conscience of Nazi, suffers from confusion and serious flaws) are absolutely scathing and brings out different themes within its multiple characters and storyline. Bergman's Shame speaks of a personal and relationship crisis laced by crisis of war. Ultimately, it's the shame of survival through different levels and the shame of submerging guilt, in both the characters, that interests Bergman.

P_R
22nd March 2010, 11:23 AM
Forget the phalangists, what were Israel doing there in the first place? (engalukku onnum theriyadhu ellam avinga dhaan senjaanga line-a argument ku othuppom).
Ivanga enna anga poi naathu nadava ponaanga? :lol:

As far as this story was concerned it was the memory of a guy who was in his teens in 1980. "Israel shouldn't be existing in the first place"-lErndhu aarambikka mudiyAdhu. (Why ?...ah well)

But apart from the overall story, there were so many parts that showed how Israel just sent boys were just into mindless violence. The tanks shooting either side of the grove, "pray and shoot', the dumping of the bodies, the story about the photographer who just thinks of the images (best part of the film for me), who 'wakes' up seeing the dead horses...these seemed quite critical of the mindset of 'being' in war.

Either a complete purging of context or a twisting of the roles of the oppressor and oppressed Purging of context to a large extent yes, but this one atleast continued to show who were the vulnerable and the highhandedness of Israel.

Russiap padam, aduththa vaaram..

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 12:49 PM
The core of the film is mental repression of the protagonist, the writer-director himself, who overlooked and indirectly took part in the massacre. There is a guilt of partaking in heinous massacre, especially because he shoots flares to sky that actually would lit up the refugee camp for the Phalangists. This indirect and direct role and the associated guilt, would repress his memory. That's why the ending is so revelatory and powerful, as the animation breaks into real footage. This whole confused dream-like inhibition turns into a reality, and a rude awakening for him, the representative of million other blanking-out Israelis

Bala (Karthik)
22nd March 2010, 01:24 PM
but this one atleast continued to show who were the vulnerable and the highhandedness of Israel

The core of the film is mental repression of the protagonist, the writer-director himself, who overlooked and indirectly took part in the massacre. There is a guilt of partaking in heinous massacre, especially because he shoots flares to sky that actually would lit up the refugee camp for the Phalangists. This indirect and direct role and the associated guilt, would repress his memory. That's why the ending is so revelatory and powerful, as the animation breaks into real footage. This whole confused dream-like inhibition turns into a reality, and a rude awakening for him, the representative of million other blanking-out Israelis
Had this repression been *without this particular massacre*, it would have worked but then that would be "my" story and not the maker's :lol:
Adhavadhu, prachanai enna na, looks like if this massacre had not happened, repression edhuvume irundhirukkaadhu because now it means that other this incident, what they had been doing was not a massacre! I mean he should honestly believe in it to consider it as a blot in an otherwise noble mission.

How will it be if there's a movie about a Nazi unit, which invades another country, and a guy feels repressed about him/them conniving/being a silent spectator to a band of local anti-semitics butchering a group of jews. "Naangala irundha 5 pera ganniyamaana murayila konnuruppom, ivinga 50 pera sara mariya konnuttaingale. Therinjum theriyamalum naangalukkum idhula involve aiuttome. Enakku memory loss vandhiruchu because i couldn't deal with the trauma". Is there any holocaust film which just deals similarly with the Nazi psyche, and sympathetically at that!

P.S: I watched the film from the scene where the Israeli army is progressing along an area full of trees and a "insurgent" kid suddenly attacks them with his bazooka.

As for the ending, i can only hark back to Battle Of Algiers and its powerful climax scene (not very different from this one). Yeah, that was also "neutral" but then "neutral" is a good enough start, at least they show the 'other side' as a reality

Bala (Karthik)
22nd March 2010, 01:29 PM
Depressing film. :( By the time the film ends, Floria's soul and everything within is crushed, and only his body is moving. In that final steadicam shot (the film, in tradition of Tarkovsky and Sheptiko, has many of them) accompanied by Mozart's Requiem, he is almost a corpse, among the corps who tread through, as the Great Patriotic war comes to close. The Partisan resistance is still neglected in pop culture, and not propagated by the Americans, brits or their over glorified war films. For every American soldier killing a german, eighty Soviet soldiers and plenty more civilians died. There could be a slight statistical misappropriation, but it's still worth mentioning. The documentary series "Russia's war - Blood upon the snow" is an essential viewing. Maybe there are more authentic books, but the series is eye-opening and informative.

The childish naivety and lack of seriousness as he dugs up a rifle, and then joins the partisan resistance. Over the course of the film, the traumas of losing his mother and sisters, and then losing fellow partisans in resistance and the livestock (a cow is shot dead, for live) in a exchange, and topped by the cruel setpiece where the majority in Byelorussian village are burnt alive (incl Children). Floria's coming of age (if you put it lightly) is in his brutal realization of what is to be in Partisan resistance. Klimov's message isn't really a political or patrimonial or even patriotic (even if is touted to be a patriotic struggle in historical terms), but more of a personal obligation and ultimately survival. Killing of Nazis and the self-betraying Russians, doesn't undo his loss any less (this of course, manifests into the infamous montage of Hitler's actual footage, played in reverse, as Floria shoots his framed image. The vain attempts to deny history, if ever only in his imagination). As I said, everything within is desensitized by the end (and is a lot more telling and direct than "Full metal jacket" could ever achieve, unless it centered on the Vietnam girl). Is what I like to think of it.

The soundtrack, especially after the boy Floria goes a part deaf because of air explosion towards the end of first act, is unbearable. There is an effective mix of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie (used in the final montage too) and different classical music to the sounds of woods, in rhythm with military echos and sounds. It's hellish, and I suppose, that's why it stands out as a cathartic experience that only cinema as a medium could dish out.

Regarding the war psyche, "The Cranes Are Flying" is a good point to start. But I'd like to think of "Come and see" in lineage of director Klimov's wife Sheptiko's "The Ascent", in themes of war psyche, courage, cowardliness, break of sanity, the role reversal, betrayal among Partisan resistance.."Come and see" attempts to touch on betrayal when some of Russians get shot along with Nazi officers by the Resistance. But it isn't as much concerned about inner working of the resistance as in "The Ascent". And of course, Tarkovsky's "Ivan's childhood", in Russian anthology.

Floria's death begins as early as he is left behind by his commander. This was not like watching a movie. We are right there.
I've seen only Stalker from Tarkovsky's works and i felt his influence right throughout the movie. Russian padangal innum neraya paakkanum.

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 01:46 PM
:lol: I got that part, B(K). That this film suffers from the historical oppressor (Israel) excepting itself in this massacre. Indha excepting is a major problem in this conflict, as I said in one of the posts...

Oh, certainly agree re. Battle of Algiers, again, it all comes back to the lack of oppressed POV.

Regardless of its compromised scope in politics, the core of Waltz is a reasonable achievement in itself, in context of Isreali film history. Lot of Isrealis tend to blank-out when it comes to this particular issue and in general, because they do not cut slack (much like US, and of course, their ally in this issue) to Palestinian civilians because of long, violent history of PLO terrorism. It's can of worms, to be honest.

However, this film tries to muster some reckoning and open some Isreali eyes. Which as it is, poses a major risk to its filmmaker.

P.S: Palestinian POV films are hard to get your hands on. I have only seen "Paradise now". I'd like to know if there are any good ones to see..

P_R
22nd March 2010, 02:05 PM
The TV reporter talks about how he called up Ariel Sharon in the night and how he first asks 'did you see it ?' and then just says 'thank you for letting me know' and not even 'I will look into it'. That clearly showed Israel was actively in the know of things and massacre had the blessings of those in power in Israel.

So I don't think Israel itself was excepted as much as the bunch of soldiers who (only!) aided the massacre. At one point in the v-o he talks about how those in the control room on top of the high-rise building "certainly had a better view than we did"

Anyway, since it didn't begin from the beginning and talks about one particular incident, it is fated to not reach the heights you mention in 'your story' :-)

I particularly liked how the soldiers were non-soldiers in this film. Man is always thrust into situations bigger than he can handle and doesn't have a clue, but builds up memories as if he was 'in control' all along. The mottai swimming escape sequence, the concept of betrayal and retreat - swinging both ways - was well done.

btw we get to see only the good (grey-matter) foreign films.
avinga oorula oru vijayakanth, arjun ellAm iruppAingaL-la. Imagine how their films would be !

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 03:53 PM
The incident dwarfens the major problems and the biggest enemy in the conflict (heck, whoever had a part in driving those Palestinians to refuge! ), I still think these suggestions (prior knowledge of higher command from the tv reporter to Sharon, some parts of v-o, etc) weren't enough, and still flinched back from firmly positing its own failings, and seemed to except IDF as spectators in denial (when you say the film portrays soldiers as non-soldiers, it's an understatement considering the countless war crimes they have committed), of aiding without full equanimity of the situation. Largely the film is about Israeli delusion, to delegate full responsibility to the phalangists. In this respect, the film functions to open it up. PTSD is more than a narrative gimmick, but also representative of delusion and buried guilt. But it is also problematic because Traumas aren't largely theirs, but Palestinians (which the film isn't bothered about, even the cries of women aren't subtitled, there are no palestinians to be interviewed, and the "insurgent" kid is reduced to a threat - a film like "Paradise now" could be dedicated to his story alone)...

P_R
22nd March 2010, 04:14 PM
Apart from not making this film, I don't see how all this could have been accommodated in this film. :-)

When you say the film portrays soldiers as non-soldiers, it's an understatement considering the countless war crimes they have committed Just to clarify - I didn't mean 'showing the human side etc'. I mean soldiers who don't even get what mindless carnage they are unleashing. All the making-sense-of-it is happenning in recollection.

Isn't that what was chilling ? That that gory history is being created by boys who act like they are playing video games. Three stone throws at a bottle fail and then he shoots it !

Throughout the narrative there is always acknowledgement of the fact that they cause huge civilian damage. The videogame-like shoot and miss. The songs in particular seemed to emphasize this. A few boys are airlifed, the one who misses clinging to the helicopter is shot dead by a passing jeep - as if we too are watching a video game!

PTSD ?

That rather than a huge gameplan, scheme, grand agenda..what actually is happening is brute force, not even driven by the will of those on the ground - that is what worked for me very much in the film.

Who exactly do you hate ? Sharon and co ? The foot soldier ? The common Israeli whose 'will' is presumably allowing this ? Perhaps yes because he is the one whose parents were killed in concentration camps by people who claimed they were 'just following orders'. Is that always a big fat lie or is that the way people (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2010/03/100318_game_of_death_et_sl.shtml)are.

One of the, if not the, most impressive war film I have seen.

Bala (Karthik)
22nd March 2010, 04:31 PM
Apart from not making this film, I don't see how all this could have been accommodated in this film. :-)

"But this movie is about that incident, how can we show the whole history" i think this is your argument.
Simple. As i've said, remove the phalangist massacre, everything falls in place - the guilt, zombie-hood, repression etc etc. The point is, everything they show is very valid by the very act of Israeli oppression itself. This just comes across as another propaganda.

Superior ku theriyum ("thanks for letting me know") ellamromba trivial-nga. Its like making a big deal of one marriage party killing by the U.S in Iraq and "admitting" that the officers in charge knew exactly what was happening. Whats the big deal here? Its just obscene and i'm sure if they made a similar movie on the holocaust the whole world will be up in arms

P_R
22nd March 2010, 05:11 PM
But this movie is about that incident, how can we show the whole history" i think this is your argument. Yeah kinda. Though I shouldn't be the one talking about alternative readings, it is quite possible to see this incident as a metaphor and the whole story itself as urging the 'need to introspect'.

As i've said, remove the phalangist massacre, everything falls in place - the guilt, zombie-hood, repression etc etc. Hmm...didn't feel like that to me. As I said, they show so many excesses of the Israel soldiers unleashing mindless carnage - easily admitting that each bomb killed many many innocents.

Not just 'one marriage party' but they show that these were kids who didn't think twice about the fact that they were killing civilians with each bomb they dropped. I thought the depiction of the Israel-army 'mindset' was quite blunt. Tank flattening cars en route ellAm compulsorily metaphoric allavA.

The personal experience of war was brought out like no other film I have seen thus far: When you are in, you dehumanize, you are not aware. You are conscious of your experience (photographer) but not of what is actually happening (the subject).

Just extending this to contexts other than war is terrifying: when life is a bunch of memories and you are building memories without the slightest idea of the present that goes into those memories- it is monstrously scary. It was that aspect that elevated the film a lot for me.

All this while remaining eminently accessible (both this film and Waking Life).

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 05:57 PM
I mean soldiers who don't even get what mindless carnage they are unleashing. All the making-sense-of-it is happenning in recollection.

Honestly, could this be seen as well-meaning reading of the conflict? What we are stuck with, is again this realization and retrospective awakening of their recklessness at the moment, that I do identify. But that's always been the norm even in Vietnam films, you see that in "Full metal jacket", "Casualties of War", "Platoon" and "Apocalypse now", or what have you. At least you don't get to see a narrative of US marines(committing their own atrocities along the way, carried away by power of "following their orders") standing by to witness a "massacre of grand proportions" by South vietnamese Guerillas

Is this revelatory, in any sense, in context of the issue or inner flaws of the conflict, by centering it on IDF kids for this particular incident. So it's only natural to ponder why it's misappropriate, and why it's only a half-hearted attempt to introspect. It's at least a start.

kid-glove
22nd March 2010, 06:39 PM
PTSD ?
Post-traumatic stress disorder.

Who exactly do you hate ? Sharon and co ? The foot soldier ? The common Israeli whose 'will' is presumably allowing this ? Perhaps yes because he is the one whose parents were killed in concentration camps by people who claimed they were 'just following orders'. Is that always a big fat lie or is that the way people (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2010/03/100318_game_of_death_et_sl.shtml)are.
This abuse of power, in following the orders, is also explored in "Das Experiment"

There are suggestions to "higher command", admittedly yes. But they are weak.

To say the least, the blame-sharing(when it comes to the conflict and the situation in entirety) is weak, and concerning this particular incident, it much called for a Palestinian POV IMVHO.

P_R
22nd March 2010, 07:08 PM
I mean soldiers who don't even get what mindless carnage they are unleashing. All the making-sense-of-it is happenning in recollection.

Honestly, could this be seen as well-meaning reading of the conflict? As in balance-of-blame. Then, no.

What we are stuck with, is again this realization and retrospective awakening of their recklessness at the moment, that I do identify. But that's always been the norm even in Vietnam films, you see that in "Full metal jacket", "Casualties of War", "Platoon" and "Apocalypse now", or what have you.
Oh okay. yERkanavE paNNiyAchchA. I have only seen AN. I didn't like it last time but I think I may find it interesting now.

I wouldn't have watched Waltz.. for ten minutes if it was not animated. The repulsiveness of 'natural' violence would have turned me off before I even got into the movie. It made it possible to focus on the issue of individual without getting too aware of the arrogance of doing so.

AravindMano
23rd March 2010, 10:11 AM
Digression - Akira turns 100 today. :)

ajaybaskar
23rd March 2010, 11:06 AM
Shutter Island.

Rivetting with a gr8 climax. The complexity involved in Ted's mind was well handled by Scorcese. Looking forward for a similar psychological thriller in Tamil..

ajaybaskar
25th March 2010, 03:26 PM
Up in the air

One of the best movies in the recent times. Clooney steals the show...

groucho070
26th March 2010, 07:37 AM
Up in the air

One of the best movies in the recent times. Clooney steals the show...Bass, avarthane hero, ethukku scene ellam steal pannovonum. :D

ajithfederer
26th March 2010, 10:15 AM
Suprman returns(2006) :thumbsup:.

The flight bulging down on the baseball field is great creativity.

ajithfederer
28th March 2010, 12:06 PM
Catch me if you can

Hanks boy :bow:.

ajithfederer
3rd April 2010, 10:07 AM
The Passion of the christ: On account of many reasons I can never watch the film fully in as many ever watches. Kudos to Mel Gibson for taking this film.

Appu s
3rd April 2010, 11:19 AM
Shutter island- liked it, but this is the movie to watch again.

ajaybaskar
3rd April 2010, 11:23 AM
Up in the air

One of the best movies in the recent times. Clooney steals the show...Bass, avarthane hero, ethukku scene ellam steal pannovonum. :D

Yes. But there were equally good performances from Vera Farmiga and from the other supporting actress. But Clooney was the pick of the 3. Adhathaan mean pannen.. :-)

VENKIRAJA
3rd April 2010, 01:17 PM
Gonna watch Blind side today. enakkennavo nambikkai illa.. pangaali oruthan romba aarvama irukaan.. parkalaam! :)

P_R
3rd April 2010, 09:33 PM
Husbands and Wives

How can he write the same goddamn film again and again and still blow me away :? This guy is magic.

VENKIRAJA
3rd April 2010, 11:20 PM
Blind side.
Typical Hollywood stuff, but yeah this female is something. Don't know whether she actualy deserved the Oscar because the only other film I saw last year was Avatar. 2012 ellam idhula serthukkave mudiyathu.. Oh yeah.. Hangover as well. avlo dhaan. :)

P_R
5th April 2010, 05:08 PM
Parts of Goodfellas

Good scene after good scene, but overall not that interesting. Felt the same way when watching the first time years back.

VENKIRAJA
5th April 2010, 07:22 PM
Clash of the titans. :mad:
120 roobaya oru pichakaaranukku potrukkalaam. :banghead:
FB Status: It was like watching a thousand flies masturb*te. :hammer:

littlemaster1982
5th April 2010, 08:37 PM
Vara vara nee select pandra padam-laam bayangaramaa irukke :lol2:

ajithfederer
5th April 2010, 08:41 PM
Oru ticket velai 120 roobees aa?> :o

ajithfederer
5th April 2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah. Somehow i like casino to this. By that i don't mean Goodfellas is a bad film.

Parts of Goodfellas

Good scene after good scene, but overall not that interesting. Felt the same way when watching the first time years back.

Appu s
5th April 2010, 09:11 PM
Innum nee 30 roobakku kaatrangannu ninachittu irukkiyo :lol2: Blr fun cinemas ,VTV.. ticket velai.. 190rs.. rendu kaipudi popcorn 75 rs.... thamma thundu cup la kaappi thanni 35 rooba.. :cry:

Vivasaayi
5th April 2010, 11:04 PM
Innum nee 30 roobakku kaatrangannu ninachittu irukkiyo :lol2:

VENKIRAJA
6th April 2010, 01:10 PM
Vara vara nee select pandra padam-laam bayangaramaa irukke :lol2:
ennanne therla.. endhiran varaikkum theatre pakkam poga poradhilla! :(

Innum nee 30 roobakku kaatrangannu ninachittu irukkiyo :lol2: Blr fun cinemas ,VTV.. ticket velai.. 190rs.. rendu kaipudi popcorn 75 rs.... thamma thundu cup la kaappi thanni 35 rooba.. :cry:
:hammer:
kEttA INDIA'S LARGEST MULTIPLEX-nraangappa! :(

littlemaster1982
6th April 2010, 02:47 PM
PVR-dhane largest multiplex :huh:

VENKIRAJA
6th April 2010, 07:05 PM
naanum adha dhaan kEttEn... complex-la 3 bar.. oru minis floodlit stadium.. resort ellam vechirukaanunga.. enna ezhavo :o maayajaalukku kudutha panam oo oooo!

littlemaster1982
7th April 2010, 12:32 AM
naanum adha dhaan kEttEn... complex-la 3 bar.. oru minis floodlit stadium.. resort ellam vechirukaanunga.. enna ezhavo :o maayajaalukku kudutha panam oo oooo!

Adhellam extras-dhane. Screens wise largest is PVR.

Appu s
8th April 2010, 11:42 PM
Harry brown - oru aarvathula paathen,not bad. time pass.

VENKIRAJA
8th April 2010, 11:52 PM
Adhellam extras-dhane. Screens wise largest is PVR.
naalaiku opening in Ampa Skywalk :bluejump: Sound epdi? Sachyam (Ubhayam: Feekay) uda better-a?

littlemaster1982
9th April 2010, 12:26 AM
Bangalore PVR is inferior than Sathyam. Inga eppadi-nu needhan paarthuttu vandhu sollanum ;)

VENKIRAJA
9th April 2010, 09:31 AM
Bangalore PVR is inferior than Sathyam. Inga eppadi-nu needhan paarthuttu vandhu sollanum ;)

Devi was surprisingly good. Equivalent to Sachyam espeeriyanz. :yes: PVR epdinnu paarkanum. Abirami, Ainaaks ellam sutha waste :(

Bala (Karthik)
9th April 2010, 11:46 AM
All PVR (and perhaps all theaters) inferior to Sachyam.

PVR Gold class should be gutted

P_R
9th April 2010, 02:35 PM
Parts of Raging Bull

Very impressive I say !

What I saw more impressive than all other Scorsese films I have seen thus far (Goodfellas, Aviator, The Departed King of Comedy, Taxi Driver, epic blade Cape Fear)

groucho070
9th April 2010, 03:27 PM
Parts of Raging Bull

Very impressive I say !

What I saw more impressive than all other Scorsese films I have seen thus far (Goodfellas, Aviator, The Departed King of Comedy, Taxi Driver, epic blade Cape Fear) :thumbsup: Full-a parungga, mate.

VENKIRAJA
9th April 2010, 03:56 PM
Parts of Raging Bull

Very impressive I say !

What I saw more impressive than all other Scorsese films I have seen thus far (Goodfellas, Aviator, The Departed King of Comedy, Taxi Driver, epic blade Cape Fear)

First impression - mokkai
Second watch - got better, but not even half the impact taxi driver created. Goodfellas, Departed were far better, IMO.
Cape fear-ai ellam yaaru aatathula serthadhu?

kid-glove
9th April 2010, 04:07 PM
Part part-a spare parts rasikkaratha vida mulu vandiya paarunga...

P_R
9th April 2010, 04:29 PM
Cape fear-ai ellam yaaru aatathula serthadhu? :oops: I yam paartha parstu Scorsese padam. I was like, why the deuce are they fussing about this guy ?
Then King of Comedy. Beautiful.

Taxi Driver is interesting. Highly engaging, can't swap channels when it comes on etc. But something not entirely satisfying. The childish question of "yEn indha kola veRi" vexingly clings on despite the mature parts of me (which is a threatened minority) censuring that "why" is a bad a word.

kid-glove
9th April 2010, 04:34 PM
Old Cape Fear has some terrific moments that were altered by Scorsese, rather unfavorably if I may judge. There is a well-executed sequence in the original when the Counsellor's daughter (who has no intimate moments with Max in the original) is stalked by Max Cady, flees to the vacant School and sees a shadow of a man of similar built (some worker), and with dread keeps running, managing to escape through the basement window back to the streets, and directly to the arms of the stalker. An edge-of-the-seat thrilling sequence that was changed in the remake, where Max would meet and stick out his finger as if to sensually arouse her prepubescent libido and the urge to fling. It's not a bad thing to focus on interior failings of the relationships in the family. Except it weren't done appealingly enough. I wonder how Steven Spielberg would have done it, I really believe he could pull off a proper remake of the original. I should also add the much underrated Robert Mitchum's performance in the original is much more scary and less phony than Deniro's.

kid-glove
9th April 2010, 04:36 PM
Herrmann's work in the original was so great, that Scorsese had no choice but to reuse it.

Appu s
11th April 2010, 10:57 AM
Trope De Elite - :2thumbsup:
narrative is similar to City of god.

P_R
11th April 2010, 03:58 PM
Pan's Labyrinth

oru thadavai pArkkalaam

groucho070
12th April 2010, 09:19 AM
Apocalypse Now revisit for my curious wife.

This time, surprised by the amount of humor. Especially the Duvall scenes :lol: This time I get to see reaction from a unsuspecting viewer (wife), and the buildup towards finally getting to see (or Darisanam) Kurtz was very, very effective. She keep asking, when is he turning, up, or is that him? Redux version totally blew that mysterious aspect away. Still is my number one film. Awesome-na, ithu awesome.

Coppola, Sheen, Duvall and Brando :notworthy:

kid-glove
12th April 2010, 12:17 PM
Was playing a game called GTA IV, where you play Eastern European war veteran named Niko, who comes to Liberty city (a fictional American town) with his "American dream". He temporarily rigs for a guy named Mikhail Faustin, who has his fits and drug swings (kinda like Tony Montana of Scarface) A conversation between Niko and Faustin's wife, Ilyena goes as below,

Ilyena Faustin: [about Faustin] He did not used to be like this. When we were young, at home, he was beautiful. He was happy. He made me happy. But then something changed. Years ago. I never quite knew what it was. So many years I wondered what it was, or what was wrong with me that I did not see it in him, or I changed him.
Niko Bellic: Life is complicated. I never thought I'd live like this.
Ilyena Faustin: No?
Niko Bellic: When the war came, I did bad things, but after the war I thought nothing of doing bad things. I killed people, smuggled people, sold people.
Ilyena Faustin: And you don't worry about your soul?
Niko Bellic: After you walk into a village and you see 50 children, all sitting neatly in a row, against a church wall, each with their throats cut and their hands chopped off, you realize that the creature that could do this doesn't have a soul.
Ilyena Faustin: God is very complicated. You mustn't give up hope.
Niko Bellic: Well, I don't know about that.

Kurtz lives on, in pop-culture. :)

groucho070
12th April 2010, 01:00 PM
:D These lines especially, resonates...
Niko Bellic: Well, I don't know about that.Poor wife, now I am going to introduce 2001: A Space Odyssey :wink:

Mrs. Grouch: (after screening over), so what does the ending means?
Grouch: :shock: :? :oops: Can we watch Goundamani comedy now? I'll translate all the lines :oops2:

P_R
12th April 2010, 01:04 PM
Grouch: :shock: :? :oops: Can we watch Goundamani comedy now? I'll translate all the lines :oops2: :lol:

kid-glove
12th April 2010, 01:06 PM

ajaybaskar
14th April 2010, 09:09 PM
Scent of a woman

Vintage Al Pacino. Had seen a few scenes from this movie earlier and thought it would be a boring movie soaked with conversations. But now it has made me head butt the wall for having missed such a beautiful film. For those who've not watched it, I strongly recommend it. For those who'Ve watched, please recommend me more such movies.

kid-glove
14th April 2010, 09:22 PM
I recommend the original, Profumo di donna. Less schematic story and more complex characters (and acting)..
Vittorio Gassman >>> Pacino

Vivasaayi
14th April 2010, 09:26 PM
I recommend the original, Profumo di donna. Less schematic story and more complex characters (and acting)..

:?

ivlo greater than ..adhuvum for a role which suited pacino like a glove...paakuren :)

kid-glove
14th April 2010, 09:30 PM

:?

ivlo greater than ..adhuvum for a role which suited pacino like a glove...paakuren :)

Konjam exaggeration thevai, so that people will get to watch Gassman's performance (and how Pacino lifts many aspects from him)

It's comparable to Robert Mitchum >>> Deniro (Cape Fear Original vs Remake)

Deniro and Pacino are both great actors, in both instances, look a bit phony (De niro especially is cartoonish in Cape Fear) when you've watched the original..

VENKIRAJA
15th April 2010, 12:18 AM
:D These lines especially, resonates...
Niko Bellic: Well, I don't know about that.Poor wife, now I am going to introduce 2001: A Space Odyssey :wink:

Grouch: :shock: :? :oops: Can we watch Goundamani comedy now? I'll translate all the lines :oops2:

vaaipillamai :notworthy:

groucho070
15th April 2010, 08:59 AM
look a bit phony (De niro especially is cartoonish in Cape Fear) when you've watched the original..I agree with Mitchum's superior performance, but there is a bit of a camp element in the remake. Realism is not the thing here, and De Niro hammed it up to fit into what is essentially a revenge thriller. Remember it was supposed to be made by Spielberg who would have made it a bit more lightweight. Bobby-ku nomination veera koduttanggapaa if at all you care about Oscar :roll:

*the eyeroll was for Oscar, not your comment :D

AravindMano
15th April 2010, 10:00 AM
The Shining. My first Kubrick film, turned out to be a stunner. Creepy at many many many places.

The first scene at the maze (the mom and the kid there, Nicholson playing with a ball in the house), all the scenes in which the kid pedals the cycle, the scene in which the wife reads the script, "You were always the caretaker sir!".. ah.. many scenes :shock:

Jack Nicholson :clap: The actress who played the lead was good too. Great casting, I would say. At few places, her reactions were too realistic that it appeared funny. (Oru maadhiri bayandhu bayandhu sirichEn :P ) She was nominated for a Razzie for this film!

Could guess there is a strong social subtext to the film. Could see a site dedicated to the film, aNu aNuvaa aaraanjirukkaanga. padikkaNum!

ajithfederer
15th April 2010, 10:17 AM
Watch Dr. Strangelove. IMO, that is kubrick's best.

groucho070
15th April 2010, 10:57 AM
As you go older, you go backwards I suppose. I feel strongly about his Paths of Glory these days :think:

P_R
15th April 2010, 11:11 AM
Watch Dr. Strangelove. IMO, that is kubrick's best. AdhE !
idhai sonnA nammaLa paithiyakkAran 'nRainga.

AravindMano
15th April 2010, 12:16 PM
ajithfederer - Sure, thanks :)

kid-glove
15th April 2010, 01:11 PM
look a bit phony (De niro especially is cartoonish in Cape Fear) when you've watched the original..I agree with Mitchum's superior performance, but there is a bit of a camp element in the remake. Realism is not the thing here, and De Niro hammed it up to fit into what is essentially a revenge thriller. Remember it was supposed to be made by Spielberg who would have made it a bit more lightweight. Bobby-ku nomination veera koduttanggapaa if at all you care about Oscar :roll:

*the eyeroll was for Oscar, not your comment :D
Yes Groucho, it might be a deliberate choice. I did enjoy the performance (just as I did of Pacino in Scent of a Woman), but I tried to assess in comparison to the original.

As I said in the previous page, Spielberg would be a perfect fit for a faithful remake. Scorsese developed lot more back story for the family, and relationships. And lot of catholic symbolism apparently. But the core of the film is simple and same as the original, that it only takes a single man (Out from the past) to stalk and destroy a family..

VENKIRAJA
16th April 2010, 10:55 PM
Watch Dr. Strangelove. IMO, that is kubrick's best. AdhE !
idhai sonnA nammaLa paithiyakkAran 'nRainga.

Yes. Slowly I'm realising that 2001 is not alone. ACWO is fast approaching and now Requiem for a dream has become my 3rd most favorite film after 2001 and The Usual Suspects.

Requiem for a dream is a musical. Vaaipillamai. End of topic.

kid-glove
16th April 2010, 11:49 PM
As you go older, you go backwards I suppose. I feel strongly about his Paths of Glory these days :think:

ajaybaskar
16th April 2010, 11:52 PM
How to train your dragon?

Watched the movie with 10 adults and 150 kids in the auditorium. Awesome experience. Missed watching it in 3D. Planning to watch it again on sunday.

Surya
17th April 2010, 09:25 AM
Mephisto (German)

Tastefully Done! It's about the sudden 'Nazi'fication of the German Theater after the Victory of the Nazies in the German National Elections. It gives great insight about the artists of that Era who Conformed due to Fear, and Lust for Sucess in a Dark, Hateful, Cult-run Nation...

Bala (Karthik)
20th April 2010, 01:18 AM
Vicky Cristina Barcelona - I hated Jules and Jim the first time and upon revisiting, found some beautiful moments that i'd missed. It had a detached beauty to it.
VCB comes with all the things i've begun to loathe in WA movies - the same film AGAIN (for e.g when Vicky starts telling Christy that she isn't impressed at all by Juan, you know whats going to happen), the same old "problems" and "searches" of the characters (dei, idhellam oru prachanai nu marupadiyum marupodiyum adhaye solra!), the obsession with "neurotic" etc... (luckily, there was no character whining about fear of death)
Yet, there were great moments like Cristy breaking up with Juan and Maria and Javier Bardem's acting.

P_R
20th April 2010, 09:53 AM
:-(

dei, idhellam oru prachanai nu marupadiyum marupodiyum adhaye solra!
pazham thaaNdi periya vishayam....oru pazhathaala paramasivam kudumbamE reNdA pirinju oNNu pazhanikku pOyiruchu.

Cain-Abel saNdaiyE about Eve-nu oru Oedipal theory uNdu. #*@*& vERa edhukku saNdai pOttirukka pORAinga. :lol2:

Yet, there were great moments like Cristy breaking up with Juan and Maria and Javier Bardem's acting. thangathAragai Maria Elena paththi neenga edhuvumE sollaliyE

ajaybaskar
20th April 2010, 09:57 AM
The Score

Bought the DVD for its impressive, lipsmaking star cast (Marlon Brando, Di Nero, Edward Norton). But it ended up as a very ordinary crime thriller.

kid-glove
20th April 2010, 10:05 AM
dei, idhellam oru prachanai nu marupadiyum marupodiyum adhaye solra!
pazham thaaNdi periya vishayam....oru pazhathaala paramasivam kudumbamE reNdA pirinju oNNu pazhanikku pOyiruchu.

:lol: AnnE appadiyE maindain pannunga..

But I completely understand why one would say that, especially about WA films.. :)

P_R
20th April 2010, 10:09 AM
[tscii:3cacc05171]Narrator is very sly in VCB. About Cristina when she is cycling with Juan and Maria Elena on a picnic..

She saw herself more as a European, in tune with the thinkers and artists she felt expressed her romantic, free-thinking view of life.”

:lol: :think: :lol2:

Is he making fun of her pretensions ? But she is sincerely thinking about herself that way so they can't be called 'pretensions' ! So she is conscious about 'experience' she is going through and her choices (I am a big girl). So it is an experience she is immersed in but is still somehow aloof simply because she is conscious of it. Vicky was outside the whole time - conformism which her future self (the adulterous host) advises her against - is perhaps what comes naturally to her. Sure regret will surface every now and then when she gets back home (discussing home decorations with friends-in-law). But who is to say how things would have been if only... Can she actually confirm the 'rightness' of her choices from Cristina ? She can't but probably she will. Constantly. And like every decision it will prove wrong some times and right some times.

In the end it was not life, 'only' a summer in Barcelona. Just that.

Sooperappu :clap:

I am fully conscious of the fact that if most others had handled this theme it wouldn't have been as engaging and enourage me to delve into this closely enough.[/tscii:3cacc05171]

Bala (Karthik)
20th April 2010, 08:24 PM
thangathAragai Maria Elena paththi neenga edhuvumE sollaliyE
"Says without going" but avinga (illadha) azhagu is the most overrated, second only to Julia Roberts, so en kayya thaduthiduchu

kid-glove
20th April 2010, 08:52 PM
Blasphemy! For argument sake, unga favorite yaaru?

AravindMano
20th April 2010, 08:54 PM
B(K), neenga Penelope paththi pEsala dhaanE? Habba.

Ennadhu, avangaLa paththi dhaan pESareengaLa? :shock:

complicateur
20th April 2010, 09:19 PM
thangathAragai Maria Elena paththi neenga edhuvumE sollaliyE
"Says without going" but avinga (illadha) azhagu is the most overrated, second only to Julia Roberts, so en kayya thaduthiduchu
Bala. Note the point. For the past tonty-five months we have only been referring to Maria Elena. If the objective was to discuss' Cruz's (in my staunch opinion) sublime beauty silent-A Jamon Jamon paththi discuss paNNuvOm.
It is Maria Elena that P_R (if I may speak for him) and I adore.

kid-glove
20th April 2010, 09:23 PM
I agree. She's much better in Almodovar films as an actress (and also beautiful). But Maria Elena is really pretty, :notworthy:

P_R
20th April 2010, 09:40 PM
It is Maria Elena that P_R (if I may speak for him) and I adore. Aff course. In fact my original post this morning which I edited for some reason was: "Maria Elena paththi sollunga. illainnA enga aNNan compli thee kuLippAr"

kid-glove
20th April 2010, 09:41 PM
It is Maria Elena that P_R (if I may speak for him) and I adore. Aff course. In fact my original post this morning which I edited for some reason was: "Maria Elena paththi sollunga. illainnA enga aNNan compli thee kuLippAr"
:rotfl:

P_R
20th April 2010, 09:46 PM
Chroneec dissatisfaction...that's what you have.. chroneec dissatisfaction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehoTZ1QLTu0)

complicateur
20th April 2010, 09:51 PM
Chroneec dissatisfaction...that's what you have.. chroneec dissatisfaction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehoTZ1QLTu0)
The disappointment laden in the delivery of that dialog is the stuff of my nightmares!

groucho070
24th April 2010, 08:46 AM
Frankie And Jhonny (1991). Revisit.

Those tired of Pacino's screams and rants, can safely watch this, where he does good job in light comedy. And the gorgeous Michelle Pfiefer, a fantastic actress. Both reuniting after the cokefest film they did almost ten years earlier. You know, the one with chainsaw and the little friend :P

Thilak, partacha?

Surya
24th April 2010, 09:25 AM
The Dirty Dozen (1967).

The Usual Stuff...but I think the movie was released before these things became "Usual"

It's about an Army Major who is given Several Inmates and asked to train them to fight as a Guerrilla Unit in World War II.

Kinda the More Mass Masala Version of Inglorious Basterds. The Production Values for the movies were good. 8-)

The Tagline for the Movie: "Train Them, Excite Them, Arm Them, And Then Turn Them Loose On The Nazies." 8-)

Going to Watch "The Guns Of Navarone" today hopefully.

ajaybaskar
24th April 2010, 09:45 AM
Malena.

Often this film is hailed for 'other' reasons but this is one of the best made films. Music is a standout. Strongly recommended.

P_R
24th April 2010, 09:56 AM
I liked this movie very much actually.
Particularly the ending scene where the whole city is sleeping ahead of the day that is ahead.

kid-glove
24th April 2010, 01:48 PM

Those tired of Pacino's screams and rants, can safely watch this, where he does good job in light comedy. And the gorgeous Michelle Pfiefer, a fantastic actress. Both reuniting after the cokefest film they did almost ten years earlier. You know, the one with chainsaw and the little friend :P

Thilak, partacha?

Not yet (in full) my friend.

See bits of it in HBO years back..

VENKIRAJA
24th April 2010, 01:55 PM
In the end it was not life, 'only' a summer in Barcelona. Just that.

Sooperappu :clap:

Very well put. That essence of the film, I loved a lot. Geniuse

AravindMano
26th April 2010, 11:02 AM
Dancer In The Dark.

The way the film breaks into those nice songs was kinda bemusing, may be I was not prepared. At few instances, I found the idea funny too.

Tear-jerker - Yes, Manipulative - Yes. Still, liked the film. The lead actress was good.

AravindMano
26th April 2010, 03:49 PM
[tscii:5b328951a2]What time is it there.

Ten minutes into the film, the two long shots of extreme inactivity that would make you want to kick the actors in their you-know-where and yell “do something” - an old man staring at his food for reasons unknown to mankind and a guy pissing off into a polythene cover - are sort of warning signs for what is gonna follow. Thankfully the father dies immediately, but the guy is alive and kicking, nope pissing into covers and water bottles all through the film. The film follows three people who all are a little sick in the head and lonely – loneliness seems to be the favorite theme for such films. Not surprisingly, it was nominated for a Palme d’Or.

But, much later into the film, I could adapt myself to the pace and enjoyed many dead-pan hilarious moments. And it did end very beautifully. And I am afraid I liked it.
[/tscii:5b328951a2]

Prabo
26th April 2010, 09:51 PM
High plains drifter - Nice thriller, the stranger kept me interested till the end :thumbsup:

Raikkonen
26th April 2010, 10:30 PM
Shutter Island. Brilliant.

ajaybaskar
26th April 2010, 11:57 PM
The Bounty Hunter

Please avoid..