Year One.

Harold Ramis-nu nammmmmbi paarten....but :( :banghead:

Edit. One of the scriptwriters name is Gene Stupnitsky :roll:

littlemaster1982
14th October 2009, 08:35 AM
State of Play. Boring :|

groucho070
14th October 2009, 09:08 AM
It's better to be skeptical/cynical (like you, which I envy and get intimidated in equal measures), but never an outright Atheist, positivist, and other ugly -ists one would wish to attribute. :D First person to say so. A friend used to say that due to approach I can be very, very annoying.

kid-glove
14th October 2009, 09:38 AM
It's better to be skeptical/cynical (like you, which I envy and get intimidated in equal measures), but never an outright Atheist, positivist, and other ugly -ists one would wish to attribute. :D First person to say so. A friend used to say that due to approach I can be very, very annoying.

The approach doesn't solve its purpose, and is only ever half-way. But it's an enviable position to take because you sleuth & catch out either side. I'm not against it, because it helps rethink status quo. Thus it's normal to be intimidated. It is annoying if & when it's misplaced or scathing.

groucho070
14th October 2009, 11:18 AM
It is annoying if & when it's misplaced or scathing.True. True.

Anyway, will try and watch that film soon. The interview is enticing enough. Early days emphasis has always been the writing, so even the credit the scriptwriters get (also helped by the fact that the literary types were involved), cinematographers never get. Thanks for highlighting that.

littlemaster1982
14th October 2009, 06:17 PM
One False Move (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102592/). Criminally underrated. Spectacular film. Long time since I saw a film as good as this. So many little things to ponder upon.

Kamal recommended this film in one of his interviews :)

Watched this film and liked it. But felt it was quite slow :roll:

Appu s
14th October 2009, 06:26 PM
One False Move (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102592/). Criminally underrated. Spectacular film. Long time since I saw a film as good as this. So many little things to ponder upon.

LM, PM the link.... :)

Raikkonen
14th October 2009, 06:31 PM
Charade..

brilliant.. audrey :slurp: :bow:

kid-glove
14th October 2009, 11:10 PM
It is annoying if & when it's misplaced or scathing.True. True.

Anyway, will try and watch that film soon. The interview is enticing enough. Early days emphasis has always been the writing, so even the credit the scriptwriters get (also helped by the fact that the literary types were involved), cinematographers never get. Thanks for highlighting that.

:thumbsup: Cinematographers are often overlooked. They are pure cinema. 8-)

Nerd
15th October 2009, 12:48 AM

Ennang ipdi sollipputteeng. The film is less than 2 hours long is it not? ungaLa ellAm "The Good Shepherd" break kooda illAma pAkka vaikkanum.

Actually I found the film very engaging. Not a single dull moment, right from the frenetic first scene to the very last scene. The biggest strength of the film IMO is the characterizations. Each and every character was so beautifully written. And there were at least four heart-in-mouth scenes. SPOILERS:

1. Lila shooting the cop down (even the lead up scenes to it)
2. First scene
3. Climax
4. Drug-deal gone wrong in Houston.

ivLO "tenson"-aana scenes irukka oru <2 hours film slow-aa :twisted:

kid-glove
15th October 2009, 01:21 AM
Downloaded. Lock and loaded. Dho vaREn. :twisted:

ajithfederer
15th October 2009, 01:44 AM
:rotfl:

Last watch: Battle Royale @ Tarantino's rekemendesan. Padam eppadi irundadhunnu therinjukka virumbaravanga pm anupalam :lol2:.

Ennang ipdi sollipputteeng.

Bala (Karthik)
15th October 2009, 01:56 AM
Last watch: Battle Royale @ Tarantino's rekemendesan. Padam eppadi irundadhunnu therinjukka virumbaravanga pm anupalam :lol2:.

Yen, adha ingaye sollalaame :lol2:
Padatha paathen, on his rekamendesan dhaan... Pulp fiction eduthadhu tarrantino-va nu ayyappaadu varudhu... TDK madhiri thani polambal airuchu :lol:

Appu s
15th October 2009, 11:01 AM
Disturbia (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486822/)
surprisingly good movie, more laughs.. good cast .. hero the teenager and his friend koreon good performance...
its less horror but suspense thriller of some sort.. :thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
15th October 2009, 11:18 AM

Ennang ipdi sollipputteeng. The film is less than 2 hours long is it not? ungaLa ellAm "The Good Shepherd" break kooda illAma pAkka vaikkanum.

Actually I found the film very engaging. Not a single dull moment, right from the frenetic first scene to the very last scene. The biggest strength of the film IMO is the characterizations. Each and every character was so beautifully written. And there were at least four heart-in-mouth scenes. SPOILERS:

2. First scene
3. Climax

I didn't mean it was boring or dull :? I felt it didn't have the frenetic pace one would associate with a thriller. And I agree with the scenes you have mentioned. Especially the first one :shock:

littlemaster1982
15th October 2009, 11:19 AM
Idhula edho ulkutthu irukku :roll: :twisted:

Ennang ipdi sollipputteeng.

kid-glove
15th October 2009, 11:13 PM

2. First scene
3. Climax

Agreed.

Dale-Lila twist (the title so aptly sums this up) takes it notches above, and open up inconceivable chasms into these characters, creating a depth so to speak. The cinematic irony in Noir-ish cutout of the narrative & lead characters of a distant countryside! A morally flawed 'fall guy' (a policeman who has done-with being in a worn-out place), a femme fatale (twofold gothic romance), and a ravaging conclusion, ambivalently pessimistic. The social commentary of American life, especially racism (without being overtly obsessed or melodramatic), and patronization within police force are remarkably handled for a debut script (two thumbsup to the co-writers). The psychotic killer is refreshingly nerdy, and the redneck is neurotic & stupid (that why they get caught all the time!). In other ways this film is a road movie, a police procedural, and almost Coen-esque in treating its characters before it takes a wild turn! And a First-time Director as well. :shock:

How this film managed to go off the radar!

ajithfederer
16th October 2009, 08:46 AM
(1 -12) The Road To Stalingrad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmMlTsW0Fuc&feature=related)

VENKIRAJA
16th October 2009, 11:18 AM
:thumbsup: Cinematographers are often overlooked. They are pure cinema. 8-)
http://www.dailyfilmdose.com/2007/05/long-take.html

Amazing long-shots. I love the CoM bit.. but there is some ambiguity about the technique involved. Maybe Oldboy and Tom young goong might come up next. Brilliant cinematogeaphy, both of 'em!

*Learnt from the article that there was a complete film with some 2000 artistes shot in a single shot, take one!

kid-glove
16th October 2009, 11:39 AM
[tscii:7104d9037d]Thanks for the link!

In a director’s cinematic bag of tricks the long tracking shot is the boldest way of making a statement. It’s the flashiest and most attention-grabbing egotistical way of flexing one’s muscle. In most cases it's a narcissistic maneuver, “look-at-me” filming technique, but rare ones, the best ones, serve to reflect and further the story in a way that can’t be reflected with traditional editing.

:D [/tscii:7104d9037d]

kid-glove
16th October 2009, 11:41 AM
Russian Ark?

I liked it :cool:

Appu s
16th October 2009, 02:10 PM
naanum thEdinEn...torrend kidaikkalai

P_R that piratebay torrent is working, FYI if u have not download yet :)

Nerd
16th October 2009, 08:24 PM
The social commentary of American life, especially racism (without being overtly obsessed or melodramatic), and patronization within police force are remarkably handled for a debut script (two thumbsup to the co-writers).

SPOILERS:

American people who grew up/live in big cities usually look down upon people hailing from little towns. And people who grew up in a predominantly white neighbourhood (Arkansas) casually throw around the N-word like what "Hurricane" does. Also the life of a small-time cop in a little town has been so beautifully captured by the writers. The chaotic scene in which the LA cops take the gun out and "Hurricane" solves the situation just by talking is a great example of how cops of a small town behave. The scene in which Hurricane overhears the conversation between the LA cops is one of my favorite scenes in the film. And the last scene in which the LA cops realize that "Hurricane", a bummer in their books has killed them all is :2thumbsup:

kid-glove
16th October 2009, 08:43 PM
:exactly: I'm interested in small town movies. This, Fargo, & Sweet hereafter are some of the best from 90's. I'm fascinated by countryside than urbanized backdrops. The latter is too bleached, and utopian, to connect to.

littlemaster1982
16th October 2009, 09:11 PM
The scene in which Hurricane overhears the conversation between the LA cops is one of my favorite scenes in the film.

My favorite scene as well 8-)

Appu s
17th October 2009, 07:04 PM
The scene in which Hurricane overhears the conversation between the LA cops is one of my favorite scenes in the film.

My favorite scene as well 8-)

that was a classic acting, his reaction after that scene was :clap:

Nerd
19th October 2009, 08:15 AM
Departures (www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238/) - '08 academy winner for the Best foreign language film. A failed cellist accepts a job in a super-niche industry - encoffining. Starts sort of repulsively but sucks you into it with the sheer beauty of the very thing which you find repulsive in the first place. Very very profound, philosophical, beautifully shot. Extremely slow paced though. The movie has a mindblowing orchestral soundtrack. Great acting too. It won over Waltz with Bashir and I am not entirely sure if it really deserved it. Worth a watch nevertheless. :)

AravindMano
19th October 2009, 09:33 AM
I am trying to get a good print in vain. Kidaikkaradhu ellaam mkv format la yae irukku.

Waltz with Bashir was very good. 'The Class', the other competitor for Best foreign film oscar was great too. I liked the latter better. Yeah, extremely slow paced, and in fact nothing happens through out. But how they make a 2 hour drama out of it is unbelievable!

Bala (Karthik)
19th October 2009, 02:46 PM
Bad Guy (Korean)
Very poor and a half

kid-glove
19th October 2009, 04:08 PM
Bad Guy (Korean)
Very poor and a half

The director Kim ki-duk is of some interest to me. Hubber Sid_316 was referring to him. I liked his prolific works, "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring", and "Bin-jip". But wanting to check out more.

Bala (Karthik)
19th October 2009, 04:11 PM
The director Kim ki-duk is of some interest to me. Hubber Sid_316 was referring to him. I liked his prolific works, "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring", and "Bin-jip". But wanting to check out more.
I loved "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring"!
Haven't watched "Bin-jip"

kid-glove
19th October 2009, 04:18 PM
I loved "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring"!
Haven't watched "Bin-jip"

I watched Bin-jip on "Weld movies", Kashyapar's reco for "movies you should watch before you die"!

AravindMano
19th October 2009, 04:52 PM
Bad Guy (Korean)
Very poor and a half

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring was prolific indeed. Try to check out '3-Iron'. Very much like the other film, very minimal dialgoues. Stunning usage of silence. Have watched one more of his - 'Time'. Adhu avLo oNNum seriyaa illa. So - So!

kid-glove
19th October 2009, 05:34 PM
Bad Guy (Korean)
Very poor and a half

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring was prolific indeed. Try to check out '3-Iron'. Very much like the other film, very minimal dialgoues. Stunning usage of silence. Have watched one more of his - 'Time'. Adhu avLo oNNum seriyaa illa. So - So!

Bin-jip is 3-Iron. :)

AravindMano
19th October 2009, 05:47 PM
Bad Guy (Korean)
Very poor and a half

Bin-jip is 3-Iron. :)

Oh my, I goofed up. Did you read about why they named the film as '3-Iron'? Bayangara comedy. The original title means Empty Houses. They just cashed on the US golf club that was popular at the release time. The club's name was '3-Iron'.

Indha maadhiri sambandham illaama per vekkaradhaala dhaan naan konjam slip aayten :lol:

Appu s
19th October 2009, 06:08 PM
Reservoir dogs :) enjoyed the last 30 mints, the nonlinear narrative without much actions .. the pace drags

kid-glove
19th October 2009, 06:25 PM
That's interesting, AravindMano. Thanks!

I had watched a BBC special with Jonathan Ross covering his works. It's not surprising the title '3-Iron' also had to do with Kim's fascination for the sport. He has effusing praise for Golf, some of it coming from a philosophical point of view, and its meditative quality. An interesting character.

AravindMano
19th October 2009, 06:33 PM
That's interesting, AravindMano. Thanks!

I had watched a BBC special with Jonathan Ross covering his works. It's not surprising the title '3-Iron' also had to do with Kim's fascination for the sport. He has effusing praise for Golf, some of it coming from a philosophical point of view, and its meditative quality. An interesting character.

'philosophical point of view' is quite interesting :) Actually i didnt get the whole thing about the hero in 3-Iron tying the golf ball to a tree and hitting it repeatedly (I assumed he vents out his anger on the girl's husband who plays golf often). Now this makes me think there could actually be some other intrepretation.

kid-glove
19th October 2009, 06:41 PM
Here's one interesting intreeuvw (http://www.grouchoreviews.com/interviews/118)

Question: Does it(Golf) give you an outlet for anger or does it cause more anger?

KK-d: (Smiles.) No matter how well you play, it's both infuriating and at the same time a great stress relief. You never know how you are going to hit a ball, and it changes from one to the next. A lot of people dismiss golf as sort of the bourgeoisie wealthy people's sport, but I do believe there is a bit of a meditative and philosophical quality about it. For one, if you try to do well, you won't do well. You must empty your mind in order to play golf.

Bala (Karthik)
19th October 2009, 06:47 PM
A lot of people dismiss golf as sort of the bourgeoisie wealthy people's sport, but I do believe there is a bit of a meditative and philosophical quality about it.

George Carlin :lol:

One disses golf because of this and also because one is sure to suck at it if given soice, saance :lol:

kid-glove
19th October 2009, 06:54 PM
A lot of people dismiss golf as sort of the bourgeoisie wealthy people's sport, but I do believe there is a bit of a meditative and philosophical quality about it.

George Carlin :lol:

One disses golf because of this and also because one is sure to suck at it if given soice, saance :lol:

Yeah, it's an easy target so to speak. :lol:

But make no mistake, It's a mild exercise walking miles in the green, and is quite enjoyable to play. But I could never watch this sport.

Bala (Karthik)
19th October 2009, 06:57 PM
But I could never watch this sport.
:exactly: F1 is another....

kid-glove
19th October 2009, 06:58 PM
It's also interesting Kim ki-duk's life is very much filled with thuggery, poverty, harlotry, and violence of the streets. Based on that BBC special, I could gather they are abundantly exposed in his earlier films like "Bad guy", & "Isle".

equanimus
19th October 2009, 06:58 PM
One bourgeoisie sport that I heartily embrace is bowling. There is something profoundly lazy about it. The setup for the game is indeed a work of art.

Bala (Karthik)
19th October 2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, good fun to play. I've bowled thrice in my life and luckily, the results were above expectation!

equanimus
19th October 2009, 07:05 PM
and luckily, the results were above expectation!
Nothing "lucky" about it. You're a bourgeois after all!

P_R
19th October 2009, 07:10 PM
Attempted thrice and it didn't work out too well. I've decided to become working class.

Bala (Karthik)
19th October 2009, 07:21 PM
illa Equa, adhavadhu, naanga avinga vilayaattum vilaaduvom nu oru statement! :lol2:

Nerd
19th October 2009, 08:09 PM
ArvindMano, try this (http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.com/index.php?showtopic=142050&pid=686120&mode=threaded&start=) - Link to Departures DVDRip.

AravindMano
20th October 2009, 09:41 AM
kid-glove & Nerd - Thanks for the links.

Aalavanthan
20th October 2009, 01:55 PM
Watched Couples Retreat for the sake of Rehman. I watched the movie until the climax for the sake of Rehman :(

littlemaster1982
20th October 2009, 03:23 PM
Lola Rennt (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130827/) (Run Lola Run). Excellent, excellent film :notworthy:

Bala (Karthik)
20th October 2009, 03:34 PM
Excellent, excellent film :notworthy:
:) LM, finally! :razz:

Appu s
20th October 2009, 04:43 PM
Lola Rennt (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130827/) (Run Lola Run). Excellent, excellent film :notworthy:

double excellent from LM ,something new :P

VENKIRAJA
20th October 2009, 06:59 PM

oru vazhiya ungaLaiyum oruthan ipdi solla vachitAn..

But I'm :rotfl2: whenever I see this title for the past two days.. There was a Trending Topic on twitter called #moviesturnedxxx indha padathaiyum kalaaichitaanga!! :lol:

VENKIRAJA
20th October 2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.athishaonline.com/2009/10/blog-post_20.html

littlemaster1982
20th October 2009, 08:47 PM
Aaaha, ivvalavu reaction-a en post-kku :lol:

equanimus
21st October 2009, 07:21 PM
illaiyA pinna. reNdu excellent pOttadhu mattumillAma, kAl'la vEra vizhundhirukkInga!

I remember being blown away by this film during my college days. romba nALa parallel universe stories 'AvE sindhichchuttu irundhEn. adhu oru kAlam!

By the way, have you seen Kieslowski's 'Blind Chance' which was Tom Tykwer's inspiration for this film?

ajithfederer
21st October 2009, 07:26 PM
Apocalypse now - Brando is a beast. Martin sheen :thumbsup: Coppola :clap:

waat a cinematography for this movie. :notworthy:

Slumdog millionaire - Idhai patri thread ownar nerd melum pesuvar. :lol2:.

littlemaster1982
21st October 2009, 08:21 PM
illaiyA pinna. reNdu excellent pOttadhu mattumillAma, kAl'la vEra vizhundhirukkInga!

I remember being blown away by this film during my college days. romba nALa parallel universe stories 'AvE sindhichchuttu irundhEn. adhu oru kAlam!

By the way, have you seen Kieslowski's 'Blind Chance' which was Tom Tykwer's inspiration for this film?

I read about this in IMDB today. Got to search it now :)

And I heard a lot about his colors trilogy too. Adhaiyum sertthu download panna vendiyadhudhan 8-)

kid-glove
21st October 2009, 08:35 PM
Before his death, he co-wrote another trilogy, Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. Tykwer directed "Heaven" with dazzling cinematography. He was attempting some visual metaphors. Cate Blanchett, and Giovanni Ribbisi(sp?) are both impressive.

groucho070
22nd October 2009, 07:17 AM
The Hangover.

Finally. So and so comedy. I mean, I snickered & smiled a bit here and there. Nice script but lough out loud funny? :? Did I miss something? It looked more like funnier on paper.

I imagine same film, back in the 80s with the SNL guys, Belushi, Aykroyd, Murray, etc and that would have been very funny purely on the guys' performances.

*braces for Hubbers response :shaking: *

littlemaster1982
22nd October 2009, 07:29 AM
Groucho,

You have company :)

AravindMano
22nd October 2009, 09:48 AM

nalla irukkumA? Download paNNi romba naaL aachchu. Just skimmed thru once and got to see two 'scenes' :lol:

LM - Three Colours Red is one of best-est films i have seen. Hope you like it!

AravindMano
22nd October 2009, 09:51 AM
Before his death, he co-wrote another trilogy, Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. Tykwer directed "Heaven" with dazzling cinematography. He was attempting some visual metaphors. Cate Blanchett, and Giovanni Ribbisi(sp?) are both impressive.

Ah, i have heard this news, that someone directed Kieslowski's final triology (or a part of it?). But it was Run Lola Run's director nu theriyaadhu.

Appu s
22nd October 2009, 11:31 AM
Se7en :thumbsup: :bow: not understanding the "envious" murder at the end :confused2: ,

Nerd :P

Benny Lava
22nd October 2009, 11:59 AM
I read about this in IMDB today. Got to search it now :)

And I heard a lot about his colors trilogy too. Adhaiyum sertthu download panna vendiyadhudhan 8-)

Great (Hubber) recommended colors trilogy long while back. Seems like I need to watch it along with Run lola run (How can I miss something that LM recommends so much :P)

kid-glove
22nd October 2009, 12:23 PM
People,

Guess this (http://i13.tinypic.com/86o3wq0.jpg)movie.

And this (http://i9.tinypic.com/85maoib.jpg)

Then connect the answers to this actress (http://i30.tinypic.com/2vazcro.jpg)

Querida
22nd October 2009, 05:46 PM
Watched "Monster House" not at all kid-appropriate...not unless you want to stay up the whole night telling them houses won't eat them....but interesting...I like how they broke the wall between kids and adults...making it real...why the house eats people...is well not really pc but still good Halloween watch :)

"Beetlejuice"....have watched snippets of this movie before...not really as long as I thought it would be...I use to watch the cartoon as a kid...in the cartoon version he was never this perverse of course...could recognize Winona but couldn't place Michael Douglas for a while. I didn't know Micheal Keaton could act like that! I remember only watching him in Batman and Batman Returns. Another reason to be a fan of Tim Burton. Can seen where Ledger may have gotten some inspiration of the Joker from the Beetlejuice character.

side note: looking up the lyrics of "Dayligh' come and I want to go home" has sad connotations of labour/slavery...but it's so upbeat!

Third attempt at watching "Cider House Rules" went a tiny bit further than I did last time....and fell right asleep...don't know if it's a good movie...but I guess since I fell asleep the first time...I couldn't help doing it again...and again.

Nerd
22nd October 2009, 07:47 PM
enna innum 2-3 pAkkalaamaa, illa ippavE niRuthiralaamaa? :lol2:

Appu s
22nd October 2009, 08:03 PM
enna innum 2-3 pAkkalaamaa, illa ippavE niRuthiralaamaa? :lol2:

1 ok aayiduchu, innum 2 :mrgreen:

Nerd
22nd October 2009, 08:25 PM
People,

2nd pic is Dekalog - 1 right? 1st pic-kku clue plis :)

Raikkonen
22nd October 2009, 08:40 PM
Rain Man :bow:

amazing performance from Dustin.. Tom was cruising throughout the movie..

kid-glove
22nd October 2009, 08:58 PM
People,

2nd pic is Dekalog - 1 right? 1st pic-kku clue plis :)

Yes!

For 1
clue 1: Glass of Beer (broken once, saved twice)
clue 2: Communism (or lack thereof, or politically inert)

salaam_chennai
22nd October 2009, 09:28 PM
3rd pic - Julie Delpy???

Nerd
22nd October 2009, 10:21 PM
The actress is Ms. Delpy for sure and I think the connection is Three Colors - Red. But I don't know (or haven't seen :? ) the film the first pic belongs to.

kid-glove
22nd October 2009, 10:42 PM
3 is right.

1 is "Blind chance" mentioned by Equa in previous pages. :)

ajithfederer
22nd October 2009, 11:21 PM
Chumma velayadatheenga lm edho naanga kindal panrom gradhukkaga ippadiya. Ponga, neenga :lol:

ajithfederer
22nd October 2009, 11:30 PM
Spacey's sin is Envy. He is Envious(Jealous) of the life of Brad Pitt and his beautiful wife Gwyneth. So he wants himself to be killed for his sin by Pitt. A very good film.

Se7en :thumbsup: :bow: not understanding the "envious" murder at the end :confused2: ,

Appu s
22nd October 2009, 11:44 PM
Spacey's sin is Envy. He is Envious(Jealous) of the life of Brad Pitt and his beautiful wife Gwyneth. So he wants himself to be killed for his sin by Pitt. A very good film.

yes i cleared now , initially i thought tracy's murder also included in that deadly sins :) thank you AF :)

groucho070
23rd October 2009, 06:48 AM
...could recognize Winona but couldn't place Michael Douglas for a while. I didn't know Micheal Keaton could act like that!Michael Douglas? :? Unless you are talking about Keaton whose real name is Michael Douglas.

And yes, Keaton can act. Severely underrated actor. Best Bruce Wayne in my book and elsewhere I wrote that he could easily play The Joker based on his performance in Beetlejuice...I mean then.

Querida
23rd October 2009, 07:54 AM
...could recognize Winona but couldn't place Michael Douglas for a while. I didn't know Micheal Keaton could act like that!Michael Douglas? :? Unless you are talking about Keaton whose real name is Michael Douglas.

And yes, Keaton can act. Severely underrated actor. Best Bruce Wayne in my book and elsewhere I wrote that he could easily play The Joker based on his performance in Beetlejuice...I mean then.

Hmmm yes my brother told me that little piece of trivia too...sorry I meant Alec Baldwin...I saw him being silly on the Apprentice but amusing on 30 Rock...but still was surprised to see him so young and different looking.

groucho070
23rd October 2009, 08:09 AM
Ah Alec. Can't place him. Avar nallavara Kettavaraa? :lol: Watch him in Glengarry Glenn Rose. One scene kalakkittu poyiduvaaru. Imagine, the film had Jack Lemmon, Pacino, Jonathan Pryce, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin!!!! And you still remember the smart Alec.

littlemaster1982
23rd October 2009, 11:20 AM
Puli varudhu kadhai aayiduchu. Naan unmaiyai sonnalum namba mattengiraanga :cry:

Chumma velayadatheenga lm edho naanga kindal panrom gradhukkaga ippadiya. Ponga, neenga :lol:

Appu s
23rd October 2009, 03:12 PM
Orphan :thumbsup: enjoyable and thrilling film ,the film worked 'coz of the child actors finer performances, shocking and an unexpected ending :lol: :bow: the child who acted as deaf deserves a standing ovation :bow:

Raiks, i think its should not be in the horror genre :P

Querida
24th October 2009, 07:26 AM
Ah Alec. Can't place him. Avar nallavara Kettavaraa? :lol: Watch him in Glengarry Glenn Rose. One scene kalakkittu poyiduvaaru. Imagine, the film had Jack Lemmon, Pacino, Jonathan Pryce, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin!!!! And you still remember the smart Alec.

Yes I've watched "Glenngarry Glen Ross" but you know I cannot say the same thing, because I am biased towards Al Pacino...who of course is my favourite actor...do you mean this scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AXTx4PcKI

Then yes it was a scene to remember.

Querida
24th October 2009, 07:28 AM
Orphan :thumbsup: enjoyable and thrilling film ,the film worked 'coz of the child actors finer performances, shocking and an unexpected ending :lol: :bow: the child who acted as deaf deserves a standing ovation :bow:

Hey Appu...hope someone isn't still mad at me for my myob reply:ashamed: ...I was just kidding...anyways really you found the ending plausible? Or was it just so outlandish that it was amusing?

Appu s
24th October 2009, 02:44 PM

Hey Appu...hope someone isn't still mad at me for my myob reply:ashamed: ...I was just kidding...

ada teriunga, ithukklaam vilakkam thevaiyaa :P

anyways really you found the ending plausible? Or was it just so outlandish that it was amusing?

yes its unusual , never expected in that way, did u expect that its going to be psychological thriller after the initial scenes? i thought its going to be an another child horror movie... esther and the max given a brilliant performance.... itha paarunga (http://csos.movieset.com/download/movieset/s/368qo1/images/g4wcgs-560x420.jpg)
and what about the scenes of mother who lose their child to stillbirth.. enjoyed those non-esther scenes too... overall the movie is good if not great..

P_R
24th October 2009, 10:35 PM
After reading the synopses of the various films discussed in the last few pages, searching for the palm d'or winner list and reading synopses I have started downloading...... Barton Fink :lol2:

kid-glove
24th October 2009, 11:12 PM
Shortly before "Barton Fink" opened, when asked about their next project (which happened to be "Hudsucker Proxy"), Coens replied "Something people will want to see". :lol:

ajithfederer
25th October 2009, 12:11 AM
Manobala to surya in pithamagan:

"அதை எதுக்கு உருட்டிகிட்டு அப்படியே வெச்சுற வேண்டியது தானே".

After reading the synopses of the various films discussed in the last few pages, searching for the palm d'or winner list and reading synopses I have started downloading...... Barton Fink :lol2:

P_R
25th October 2009, 01:13 AM
purileeng :oops:

ajithfederer
25th October 2009, 01:16 AM
:lol:

Neenga eppadiyum andha padathai kindal panna poreengannu solla vandhein :P

P_R
25th October 2009, 01:21 AM
Pickpocket - Bresson

Finally, something by a periya aaL which turned out to be interesting.

Querida
25th October 2009, 08:14 AM
yes its unusual , never expected in that way, did u expect that its going to be psychological thriller after the initial scenes? i thought its going to be an another child horror movie... esther and the max given a brilliant performance.... itha paarunga (http://csos.movieset.com/download/movieset/s/368qo1/images/g4wcgs-560x420.jpg)
and what about the scenes of mother who lose their child to stillbirth.. enjoyed those non-esther scenes too... overall the movie is good if not great..

Hi Appu, :)

Well the thing is Appu...I've seen "the good son" and was expecting it to be the same...but knew that the twist was necessary so that "orphan" would not be just a copycat movie...but yes there were parts in which made you take notice. If you haven't watched "the good son" then I do suggest you give it a look :D The story is written by Ian McEwan...great author...same author who wrote "Atonement"...if that means anything more :P

Querida
25th October 2009, 08:21 AM
Watched "Julie and Julia"...in a theater where I paid $4 dollars...it's $2 on a weekday... :shock: wasn't too shabby...clean...small screen....
but heck it was $4!!!

Anyways as you can see the theater had more impact on me than the movie did....the parts with Julia Child (Meryl Streep) were a delight if you could get over her unique manner of speaking and voice...my friends found her voice annoying.I think I've become accustomed to it after watching her cooking shows....I wish the whole movie was just based on her...Meryl is amazing as always... I do love her acting...Amy was forgettable...her parts seemed to drag down the story....very lovey and cute and full of rich, french food cooking obviously.

Vivasaayi
25th October 2009, 08:24 AM
Run Lola Run

:clap:

Enjoyed it a lot.

P_R
25th October 2009, 08:48 AM

Neenga eppadiyum andha padathai kindal panna poreengannu solla vandhein :P

allOv Barton Fing - CoenargaL padam 'nga
They have hardly ever disappointed me. I was saying after bracing myself to this time see something new I settled back to familiarity :lol2:

Appu s
25th October 2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Appu, :)

Well the thing is Appu...I've seen "the good son" and was expecting it to be the same...but knew that the twist was necessary so that "orphan" would not be just a copycat movie...but yes there were parts in which made you take notice. If you haven't watched "the good son" then I do suggest you give it a look :D The story is written by Ian McEwan...great author...same author who wrote "Atonement"...if that means anything more :P

ok ok, :D i have not watched "the good son"

Raikkonen
25th October 2009, 11:33 AM

:) i actually consider it as horror.. the reviews are up at bloodygoodhorror site after few shows.

yes.. like you said the child actress was amazing and the ending.. :lol: :? .. never expected that.

the mom was good too (exact role in joshua).

great
25th October 2009, 06:10 PM
Manobala to surya in pithamagan:

"அதை எதுக்கு உருட்டிகிட்டு அப்படியே வெச்சுற வேண்டியது தானே".

PR , paathuttu sollunga. Nemba naaLa d/l listla intha movie irruku

great
25th October 2009, 06:13 PM

Heaven was good. Had to watch twice to appreciate the movie.

Have you seen hell? Guess it was also made

P_R
25th October 2009, 06:16 PM
Pickpocket - Bresson

Finally, something by a periya aaL which turned out to be interesting.

Related

I just saw a movie by Robert Bresson I found the acting extremely impressive overall and very ordinary in some parts. Then what I found left me confused.

Apparently Bresson uses non-actors, insists on having absolutely no trace of 'acting' whatsover and retains that in the final take. So the artifice of creating is actually non-existence and the 'value of what I appreciated' plummeted instantly for me (whether it should or not is another question, but as of now I should confess I did). And the 'bad' parts were the amteurish acting came to the fore, expressions jumping the gun, end of scene timing misses in transition etc.

P_R
25th October 2009, 06:18 PM
PR , paathuttu sollunga. Nemba naaLa d/l listla intha movie irruku
Varuga varuga. Romba bissy pOla irukku.

pAthuttu solrEn. But enakku ellAm Intolerable Cruelty kooda pudikkum. So, pinch of salt-Oda ready-A irunga :lol2:

kid-glove
25th October 2009, 06:27 PM
Great,
No, Haven't seen L'Enfer.

great
25th October 2009, 06:29 PM
Romba bissy ellam illa :oops:

Premji : Evalovo senjirukom, Itha sEyamattoma

P_R
25th October 2009, 06:35 PM
Great,
L'Enfer by Claude Chabrol ?

naan kuzhandhaiyA irukkarachE paarthadhu. An awesome film. Afraid to revisit it now and have it sized down by my presently time-ravaged cynical self to really how good it actually is.

kid-glove
25th October 2009, 06:39 PM
Great,
L'Enfer by Claude Chabrol ?

naan kuzhandhaiyA irukkarachE paarthadhu. An awesome film. Afraid to revisit it now and have it sized down by my presently time-ravaged cynical self to really how good it actually is.

:lol: No not that. That is about paranoia of cuckolding, ain't it? This is part of a trilogy co-written by Kieslowski.

P_R
25th October 2009, 06:41 PM
Oh ok

Bala (Karthik)
25th October 2009, 11:40 PM
Started watching Pickpocket sometime back but i got a Godardesque like feel about the ice-coldness of the film and the VO. Mood a set pannittu apparam paakkalaam nu vechirukken...

Bala (Karthik)
25th October 2009, 11:43 PM
Great Balaji,
WB! Appappa vandhuttu ponga... :)

P_R
26th October 2009, 12:50 PM
Started watching Pickpocket sometime back but i got a Godardesque like feel about the ice-coldness of the film and the VO. Mood a set pannittu apparam paakkalaam nu vechirukken...
When the v-o started I was in uh-oh mode.
But it kind of immediately disappeared because a line caught my attention that "in this kind of thing, one who does, wouldn't tell"
And rightaway you have the first scene in the racecourse where he is picking a lady's purse, which is quite absorbing. Plenty of nice to watch sequences, 'moments'. Ending silightly rependence, redemption coupon ellAm varum.

great
26th October 2009, 07:28 PM
Great Balaji,

Thanks Bala :) . Kandippa.

Ippa enga Bengalooru or chennai?

VENKIRAJA
27th October 2009, 02:47 PM
Anyone interested in #Thisisit?

kid-glove
27th October 2009, 02:48 PM

Yep.

Bala (Karthik)
27th October 2009, 03:28 PM
Great Balaji,

Thanks Bala :) . Kandippa.

Ippa enga Bengalooru or chennai?
Bengalooru

Appu s
27th October 2009, 06:11 PM
Shawshank redemption :thumbsup:

great
27th October 2009, 09:58 PM

sothyam?

great
27th October 2009, 10:00 PM

Try watching DD Lewies movie, "In the name of the father"

kid-glove
27th October 2009, 10:29 PM

Seconded. One of the standout performances I've ever seen, and DDL has quite a few.

Appu s
27th October 2009, 10:30 PM

read about this movie, will watch it :D

Nerd
27th October 2009, 10:33 PM

Seconded. One of the standout performances I've ever seen, and DDL has quite a few.
DDL's best and one of top 10 hollywood performances ever. Its a pity that he lost to Hanks (philadelphia). IMO he deserved it that year more than Hanks.

Bala (Karthik)
28th October 2009, 12:19 AM
Shucks i forgot. Flans opened yesterday :banghead: (nyabagam vandhaalum FDFS poirukka mudiyaadhu adhu vera vishayam)...

Bala (Karthik)
28th October 2009, 12:21 AM
"In The Name Of The Father" - One of my favorites and a terrific performance by DDL and Pete Postlethwaite (phew!)

kid-glove
28th October 2009, 12:47 AM

DDL's best and one of top 10 hollywood performances ever. Its a pity that he lost to Hanks (philadelphia). IMO he deserved it that year more than Hanks.

It's a British film. :P

I'd rate it among his best definitely, but not quite the best, which I think should go to Sheridan's "My left foot", or "There will be blood", IMO. But to be honest, this guy is such a masterful actor that you could even pick out one of his less talked about roles, say that gay Millwall-supporting London thug from "My beautiful laudrette" the ex-IRA working class boxer from "The Boxer"(another Jim sheridan film), the vulnerable (incestuous) father in "The ballad of Jack and Rose". Already one of the greatest living actors of all-time. :notworthy:

Can't wait for "Nine"!

Jyothsna
28th October 2009, 12:54 AM
Run Lola Run :thumbsup:

Appu s
28th October 2009, 11:29 AM
Midnight run - funny and entertaining... :thumbsup: , de'niro rocks in this movie with comedy performance, the other guy done well too..

groucho070
28th October 2009, 11:40 AM
Already one of the greatest living actors of all-time. :notworthy:Seconded :D Honestly I don't know what There Will Be Blood is about, maybe too much for my sumall brain...but Daniel made the film watchable.

kid-glove
28th October 2009, 02:02 PM
You are not alone, many other cinephiles I know didn't bother much, apart from DDL's performance.

To me, TWBB is a pinnacle of modern American cinema. Centered on early 1900s, and yet, alarmingly reverberates to this day. The film as a whole is a great cinematic achievement.

groucho070
28th October 2009, 02:44 PM
Hmmm....appadinaa TWBB needs a revisit for sure. Will do it soon.

Appu, the other guy is Charles Grodin, good comedian. I love this film. They say De Niro discovered comedy in this film...actually he was funny back in Mean Street days itself.

Appu s
28th October 2009, 04:42 PM
Appu, the other guy is Charles Grodin, good comedian. I love this film. They say De Niro discovered comedy in this film...actually he was funny back in Mean Street days itself.

same i wanted to ask u people whether he done comedy before, but seeing his career started in mid '60s ,thought he might have tried already.

kid-glove
28th October 2009, 06:09 PM
Agreed. Mean Streets, and a couple of quirky genre-satiric roles with De Palma would qualify in my book. My favorite Deniro comedy is of course "King of Comedy". I still think he is just above avg in comedy. Ditto with Pacino. Nothing like their peers Jack Nicholson, or Dustin Hoffman.

groucho070
29th October 2009, 08:23 AM
Have you seen Pacino in direct comedy. Try SimONE. Taaangga mudiyala. Sense of humour in other films, yes, but straight comedy, no. But in Devil's Advocate, now...that is what I call :twisted: sense of humour.

P_R
29th October 2009, 08:29 AM
s1mone oru dabbA padam.
idhu comedy-nu neenga solli dhaan theriyudhu :lol2:

It is written by Andrew Niccol who also wrote the reverse of this concept in The Truman Show

groucho070
29th October 2009, 08:59 AM
A satire. But more of farce actually, with Pacino running around trying to fix things....siripee varala. Now, Truman Show that is an awesome film.

Appu s
29th October 2009, 11:18 AM
Oldboy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/) :bow: one of the best thriller :thumbsup: , very simple plot... keeping the narative very interesting and make to think us very clear and consistent manner... but thats not happened wat i thought :P

Ps: hope most of u might have seen this masterpiece, Q tarantino sir cannes la vote pottu suggest panna padam vera padichen :D .. if not recommending :thumbsup:

P_R
29th October 2009, 11:40 AM
Now, Truman Show that is an awesome film.
Another film which Niccol wrote (and directed I think) is Gattacca.
It has your Ethan Hawke (a-no-tka) Hunt, Uma Thurman and Jude Law.

groucho070
29th October 2009, 11:48 AM
Hehe, Hawke. Hawke. Hawke. Got it. Innum paarkala.

kid-glove
29th October 2009, 12:58 PM
Truman Show worked for me with Peter Weir touches. Imagine Niccol's style, I don't think it would have had the same comic effect. "Gattaca" is without doubt his best. I also quite liked "Lord of war".

groucho070
29th October 2009, 01:11 PM
I also quite liked "Lord of war".Seconded Pt 2. Oh, this one by Nicoll too eh? Whoa. Okay, I am sitting up and taking notice of this man. :thumbsup:

ArulprakasH
29th October 2009, 01:20 PM
The code / Thick as thieves... mostly predictable...

P_R
29th October 2009, 01:33 PM
I also quite liked "Lord of war".Seconded Pt 2. Oh, this one by Nicoll too eh? Whoa. Okay, I am sitting up and taking notice of this man. :thumbsup:

He was writing the script for Shekar Kapur's Paani - a English/Hindi bilungual set in the future in Mumbai in the face of acute water scarcity. Don't know what happened to that film.

littlemaster1982
29th October 2009, 04:45 PM
Identity. The film was good till the last 15 minutes :|

Appu s
29th October 2009, 05:05 PM
Identity. The film was good till the last 15 minutes :|

:lol: u don like that climax ?

littlemaster1982
29th October 2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, the twist didn't work for me at all.

Nerd
29th October 2009, 07:25 PM
"Gattaca" is without doubt his best.
I don't like sci-fi films (2001 is an exception). I started watching Gattaca, totally uninterested. But when I finished watching it I was thoroughly impressed. Very very arresting film with an interesting plot :-)

VENKIRAJA
29th October 2009, 09:46 PM
"Gattaca" is without doubt his best.
I don't like sci-fi films (2001 is an exception). I started watching Gattaca, totally uninterested. But when I finished watching it I was thoroughly impressed. Very very arresting film with an interesting plot :-)

The Fountain?

ajaybaskar
29th October 2009, 09:50 PM
Horsemen

The movie has shades of se7en. though impressive...

Nerd
29th October 2009, 10:06 PM
The Fountain?
pAthadhilleeng. Naan "Pi" paartha udanEyE Aronfosky kitta irundhu vilagittEn :-)

great
29th October 2009, 11:29 PM
The Fountain?
pAthadhilleeng. Naan "Pi" paartha udanEyE Aronfosky kitta irundhu vilagittEn :-)

Fountain is defn watchable. But I am not able to complete "Pi" , never crossed more than 15 minutes. Not exactly due to the movie. You didnt liked the movie ?

kid-glove
29th October 2009, 11:36 PM
I liked Fountain. Pi too. But I'm actually wanting to revisit Aronofsky's "The wrestler", and "Requiem for a dream", far more accessible films.

Bala (Karthik)
30th October 2009, 06:42 PM
Oru paya kooda 'This Is It' innum pakkalaya? Enna kodumai hubbers idhu? :(

9:45 iravu aattathukku ticket pottaachu pottaachu!

VENKIRAJA
30th October 2009, 07:50 PM

pasanga pOnAinga... avarOda kadaisi concert which never materialised pathi mattum thAnAm.. Hardcore MJ veri payaluga didn't like it. They said it was boring. :oops:

VENKIRAJA
30th October 2009, 07:57 PM
The Fountain?
Fountain is defn watchable. But I am not able to complete "Pi" , never crossed more than 15 minutes. Not exactly due to the movie. You didnt liked the movie ?

I liked Fountain. Pi too. But I'm actually wanting to revisit Aronofsky's "The wrestler", and "Requiem for a dream", far more accessible films.

Though some may argue it isn't RfaD level good, to me it looked equivalent. Seriously, one of the most thought-provoking (not the :rant: suya munnERRa type) movies of our time. adutha padam pArka, andha thAgam adikka oru vArathukku Achu. Happened only with 2001 before. Strong reccomendation.

Arofonsky is the best guy out there, given Tarantino didn't make anything worthwhile since KB-II.

Bala (Karthik)
31st October 2009, 01:15 PM

pasanga pOnAinga... avarOda kadaisi concert which never materialised pathi mattum thAnAm.. Hardcore MJ veri payaluga didn't like it. They said it was boring. :oops:
Your pasanga worst fellows ba (j/k)
Well, what did they expect? :)
Must watch for hardcore fans but only for fans.
It's basically footage and interviews from the rehearsal for the "This Is It" concert. Obviously, he was not going to dance like old times but whatever he did was above expectations, considering his age and his physical state (all skin and bones). Sila edathula remba overwhelming-a irundhuchu. Niraya edathula naama aadaattalum namma sadhayum manasum dance aadichu. Attention to detail, commitment, :notworthy:

He lives on.... :notworthy:

kid-glove
31st October 2009, 02:43 PM
Venkiraja,
Oh, certainly. I'm not comparing it to RfaD or The Wrestler, I was just saying they are both tempting films despite its 'accessibility', unlike 'The Fountain'. The latter is an audacious attempt, no doubt. I watched the film knowing a sizable portion was unused for the final cut. I hear Aronofsky is looking to cut a new version in future. Generally films that seems to have few screws loose, the longer Director cut works better.

VENKIRAJA
31st October 2009, 05:16 PM
bAlANNE.. :lol:

Venkiraja,
Oh, certainly. I'm not comparing it to RfaD or The Wrestler, I was just saying they are both tempting films despite its 'accessibility', unlike 'The Fountain'. The latter is an audacious attempt, no doubt. I watched the film knowing a sizable portion was unused for the final cut. I hear Aronofsky is looking to cut a new version in future. Generally films that seems to have few screws loose, the longer Director cut works better.

I did watch the HD version of the Director's cut.

kid-glove
31st October 2009, 05:31 PM
Is it longer than 96 minutes?

VENKIRAJA
31st October 2009, 05:34 PM
Is it longer than 96 minutes?

I think so. Right now I have some other version which is 93 mins. I am quite sure that was longer.

Nerd
1st November 2009, 10:26 AM
Rabid Dogs (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071275/) - Superb thriller. Excellent, non-stop, claustrophobic action till the very last scene. :clap:

(some scenes might be disturbing for a few - another one of those films you can't tell your girlfriend you watched)

Benny Lava
1st November 2009, 10:38 AM
Nerd, epdi paatheenga? Torrents?

Nerd
1st November 2009, 10:47 AM
Nerd, epdi paatheenga? Torrents?
Downloaded off megavideo. Try this - http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.com/index.php?showtopic=175172&view=getnewpost which eventually leads you to http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PVG4RXF3

Btw, "The Fountain" Divx alladhu Blu-Ray rip direct links yaarkittayaavadhu irukkA? Pudhu padangaL torrent-la download panninA police pudikkidhu America-la :cry:

VENKIRAJA
1st November 2009, 11:39 AM
Btw, "The Fountain" Divx alladhu Blu-Ray rip direct links yaarkittayaavadhu irukkA? Pudhu padangaL torrent-la download panninA police pudikkidhu America-la :cry:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=92cebeac2852d0df4012e8015643d9c8575cf80c 4d0fed48

Blu-ray kedaikala.. Had uploaded this already. Maybe, try this.

Benny Lava
1st November 2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks Nerd :ty:

Bala (Karthik)
1st November 2009, 06:03 PM
Revisited Scent Of A Woman.
Pacino, ovvoru scene-ayum appadi rasikka veikkaraar. :notworthy:

Appu s
1st November 2009, 06:33 PM
Phone Booth - Good time pass

Nerd
1st November 2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=92cebeac2852d0df4012e8015643d9c8575cf80c 4d0fed48

Work aachu bro. Download panni join pannittEn. Remmbba nanri :D

VENKIRAJA
2nd November 2009, 12:23 AM

Work aachu bro. Download panni join pannittEn. Remmbba nanri :D

:cool2: Which version was that? The 1.4 GB version, illa?

Wibha
2nd November 2009, 02:35 PM
A Walk to Remember

Oh WOWWW!!!!! WHO MAKES SUCH GOOD MOVIES?

One among the best love stories. :notworthy:

littlemaster1982
2nd November 2009, 02:56 PM
A Walk to Remember

Am I the only one who didn't like this film :roll:

Wibha
2nd November 2009, 03:15 PM
You don't like any movie so you're not considered :x :poke:

Appu s
2nd November 2009, 06:04 PM

:bow: brilliant... :bow:

ajithfederer
3rd November 2009, 12:13 PM
Analyse this - De Niro :lol:.

P_R
3rd November 2009, 12:44 PM
Analyse this - De Niro :lol:.
Billy Crystal brings up Oedipus complex

RdN: My mother ??...have you seen my mother ? :rotfl:
BC: ...
RdN: You're sick
BC: Hey Freud said it
RdN: He's sick too and you're sick to have brought it up :lol:

BC: Consigligligliaaari :rotfl2:

ajithfederer
3rd November 2009, 12:50 PM
Dominic: Times are changing. You've got to change with the times.
Boss Paul Vitti: What, am I supposed to get a fuckin' website?

Jimmy: You think those whales piss in that water?
Jelly: No, I think they use the men's room next to the Burger King.

:rotfl2:

Dr. Ben Sobel: They threw me in the shark tank, Paul! The shark tank!
Boss Paul Vitti: Hey, they were trying to make a point.
Dr. Ben Sobel: What, that you're a scary guy? Believe me, I get it.

Dr. Ben Sobel: Doc, if you gotta talk, try to be vague. Can you do that?
Dr. Ben Sobel: I'm a psychiatrist. Believe me, I can be vague.

Dr. Ben Sobel: I am redefining weird on an hourly basis. :rotfl:

ajithfederer
4th November 2009, 11:08 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1201658/

groucho070
5th November 2009, 07:13 AM
This Is It

Nice tribute. Good insight in the making of a concert, especially that of King of Pop's. Could have been a fantastic concert. What to do! Small displeasure: No moonwalk for Billie Jean :shock: Maybe, he hasn't come to that part yet. A must for fans, I'm sure.

groucho070
5th November 2009, 07:15 AM
G-Force

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :| :| :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

groucho070
5th November 2009, 07:19 AM
Modern Times (1936) a revisit

Middle finger to authorities, yay to the reds. Pretty daring film for its time. But apart from all that, still is a howler. A genius, that man Chaplin was.

Raikkonen
5th November 2009, 07:22 AM
G-Force

:lol: i watched this in 1U.. the 3d effects saved it..

groucho070
5th November 2009, 07:29 AM
It's full of lines from other films modified for those "oh-so-furry & cute- creatures" :evil: . The filmaker is basically more pathetic version of Tarantino quoting, borrowing, or paying homage to the superior films. Jeez...I hadda warn my wife that there was no one original moment in that movie before she got mesmerised by the "cute CG characters". Ithula stereotyping veera :evil:

chevy
5th November 2009, 05:09 PM
A Walk to Remember

Am I the only one who didn't like this film :roll: u r not alone.

chevy
5th November 2009, 05:20 PM
i last watched dirty pretty things.

ArulprakasH
5th November 2009, 06:22 PM
Run Lola Run :claps:

Nerd
5th November 2009, 08:15 PM
Run Lola Run :claps:
LM rekamandAsonukku evLO varavERpu, ippO puriyudhaa LM. ungaLa indha hub evLO nambudhunnu :yessir:

littlemaster1982
5th November 2009, 08:39 PM
Ellam oru curiousity-la paarthiruppanga :mrgreen:

ajithfederer
6th November 2009, 09:58 PM
Millukku

Sean Penn - abaaram, arputham :clap:

Vivasaayi
6th November 2009, 10:36 PM
Millukku

Milk - paal - aanpaal penpaal - eppalanalum not a problem..adhanala indha title vechangala?

ajithfederer
6th November 2009, 10:37 PM
Adhu avar last name - Harvey Milk..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_milk

Vivasaayi
6th November 2009, 10:39 PM
Adhu avar last name - Harvey Milk..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_milk

:)

Wibha
6th November 2009, 10:52 PM
G-Force

:lol: i watched this in 1U.. the 3d effects saved it..

Its just a cute movie to watch :P

kid-glove
6th November 2009, 10:56 PM
Millukku

:D

ajithfederer
6th November 2009, 11:56 PM
kid_glove :).

Nobody seen Antichrist here?? :huh:. Nadippu puyal, Nadana sooravali, vasana beerangi andha range-nnainga. :huh:.

kid-glove
7th November 2009, 11:11 AM
I did see it.

Watched "Antichrist" in full. Stays true to its hype, being a therapeutic exercise for Von Trier. And he did admit that he doesn't make films with audience in mind. He goes beyond limits, and has marketed the film very well. Loved the sense of humour in his Cannes interview, especially the bit about being "the best".

This is no "horror", but at moments, it does terrify to see the 'devilish' (in makeup of "women" here) extremity of human nature. In this case, it is loss of sanity, and influence of schizophrenia. There are some inspired moments - both in mise-en-scene, and way the camera moves. The surreal imagery owes a bit to "Mirror" (and I think this film had inspired lot of other Von Trier films as well), and could see why the director dedicated to Tarkovsky.

I don't recommend this film. That said, I was able to indulge in it.

ajithfederer
7th November 2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks k_g. :)

P_R
7th November 2009, 12:25 PM
Millukku

Milk - paal - aanpaal penpaal - eppalanalum not a problem..adhanala indha title vechangala?

Sir, neenga romba sindhikkireenga :lol2:

kid-glove
7th November 2009, 01:57 PM
Ultimo tango a Parigi (Italian version with English subs)

Brando at his best in Bertolucci-fest of Eros and Thanatos.

Prefer the English version obviously. Brando is much more powerful rendering in his own voice.

Jyothsna
7th November 2009, 06:25 PM
The Shawshank Redemption- :thumbsup: This is the best film i've ever seen. Tim Robbins n
Morgan Freeman :notworthy:

VENKIRAJA
7th November 2009, 08:01 PM
A Walk to Remember
Am I the only one who didn't like this film :roll:

You don't like any movie so you're not considered :x :poke:

LM.. I'm with you. Arshu :poke:

Vivasaayi
7th November 2009, 08:12 PM
Fincher's Zodiac

The movie was long for an english movie - but gripping.

When I realise that it was a real story - americalathaan ipdilam nadakka mudiyum...namma oorla ulla thooki potu midhiche unmaya vangirupainga

Wibha
8th November 2009, 01:41 AM
The Hangover- Second time this week :cool: :notworthy:

groucho070
9th November 2009, 09:14 AM
Movies galore for the weekend.

The Rocker. (2008)

Lots of opportunity for comedy, but it always stops short when it decides to cater for the American Pie crowd. One time viewing is okay...no laugh out loud moments. Rainin Wilson...was it intentional that his performance and even look reminded you of Jack Black?

City Lights (1931)

Three words: Genius. Genius. Genius. Chaplin :notworthy:

The Princess Bride (1987)

One of Goldman's best scripts. Bordering on the usual fluffy fairy tale and semi-spoofed at the same time, it's beautiful...marred only by really bad synth score :evil: and guess who did the score :( Yup, Sultan of Swing himself.

AravindMano
9th November 2009, 09:42 AM
In the mood for love. Excellent film. Story, screenplay ellaaththaiyum vida, it creates the prefect mood for love.

Romba sulo, art pilim-nu ellaam feel paNNa vaayppaduNdu. But extra-ordinary film nevertheless!

NOV
9th November 2009, 09:48 AM
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

:lol: silly fun :D

NOV
9th November 2009, 09:49 AM
Have bought the entire Godfather series in DVD. :D

groucho070
9th November 2009, 09:53 AM
Vampire revisits

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Visually brilliant. Wife thinks Gary Oldman is hot! In a strange way he is in this film. Superb film, the best Dracula after....

Dracula (1931).
The one that started it all...or at least if you don't remeber Nosferatu that came two years earlier. Trouble is I haven't seen that one. At an hour and probably 10 minutes (only one [V]CD) its fast paced and to the point. No dull moments....

"Children of the night...what sweet music they make".

I gotta dig out my old 1958 version with Lee...damm where the heck is it!!!

NOV
9th November 2009, 09:57 AM
Visually brilliant. Wife thinks Gary Oldman is hot! :D :D :D :D :D :D

groucho070
9th November 2009, 11:14 AM
Athukku yeen NOV, five times "Very happy" emoticon?

NOV
9th November 2009, 11:52 AM
happy that we are living thru your happiness.... from no one to someone to someone special to fiancee to wife. :D

groucho070
9th November 2009, 12:05 PM
Ah...well, thanks. Steadily pulling her into my vortex of darkness. Eppadiyaachum one year time-la NT fan aakidureen, appuram Eastwood. No problem with the Brando and Newman.

NOV
9th November 2009, 12:10 PM
when am I going to meet her.
need to coax her to wean you out of sub-standard stuff. :yessir:

groucho070
9th November 2009, 12:20 PM
Dream on, NOV. One man's substandard is another man's standard. One man's standard is another man's piece of turd. Ellamee perception-thane.

kid-glove
9th November 2009, 12:29 PM
And if you shake off one's perception and successfully change it, then they turn different from the one you first liked and started out with.

groucho070
9th November 2009, 12:39 PM
Athuvum sarithaan. Provided it was not the attribute that pulled you in the first place. At least, the major pull was not that. Changes will not have effect in longer run, but rather some sort of assimilation into each other's taste and perception. Survival of the fittest. Who knows, three years down the road I'd be squealing with joy watching the Kardashians with her :P

kid-glove
9th November 2009, 12:41 PM

kid-glove
9th November 2009, 01:06 PM
Tulpan

A lovely little film on a young Kazak who aspires to be a herdsman in rural mainlands. But to become one, he had to marry first. It so happens that this land is scarce of young girls. the only likely choice happens to be beautiful girl (who we don't see) with urban aspirations. This girl Tulpan doesn't fancy being an understudy to shepherd, and rejects him citing his badly shaped ears. Then follows his transitional tale. Would he get Tulpan? Is he really a fitting sheepman? Despite the spoofy conclusion to Tulpan angle, the overall mood of the film is positive. Personal triumph and self-realization are actualized without seeming like an overblown epiphany.

There is much to enjoy in this film. The characters are all interesting, and palatable. The acting is top class. The visual style is appealing. Some of the long takes are simplistic and goes in-and-out of focus, but considering the budgeted logistics and forbidding terrain, it felt in place.

Wibha
9th November 2009, 02:12 PM
27 Dresses :P

Shutter :|

13 going on 30 :banghead:

AravindMano
9th November 2009, 05:56 PM
Tulpan

I had planned to watch this, but missed the screening. Any torrent links?

kid-glove
9th November 2009, 06:38 PM
Check out isohunt.

ajithfederer
10th November 2009, 12:29 AM
Godfather 3- Nothing wrong with the movie but the biggest mistake it made is being in the lineage of 2 all time great(s) before.

Al Pacino is God. Standout scenes.

1. The last scene where he cries seeing daughter dead. Easily one of the stellar pieces of acting as his family looks in shock on his sudden outburst of emotion.

2. The confession scene: Some dialog(s), Not exact

"I'm beyond redemption". "What is the point of confession If I don't repent". :lol:.

3. Taking Vincent back into the family and advising him throughout the movie.

4. Crying out dead brother Fredo's name when he gets a stroke. Although not in the league of above two but certainly it is good.

P.S: On a related side note. Found this on youtube somedays before. Andy garcia on working with al pacino.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1alY_kL5E4

VENKIRAJA
10th November 2009, 12:33 AM
Godfather 3- Nothing wrong with the movie but the biggest mistake it made is being in the lineage of 2 all time great(s) before.

Al Pacino is God. Standout scenes.

True. But it never felt as a GF movie at all. Is the book similar too?

ajithfederer
10th November 2009, 12:39 AM
Book eppadinu theriala Venki. I don't understand your first kosteen.

Bala (Karthik)
10th November 2009, 12:40 AM
GF 3 is out of the book syllabus

kid-glove
10th November 2009, 01:16 AM
Co-written by Puzo and Coppola.

Can't say I liked the film much. Apart from Pacino of course. :wink:

As you say, it's partly due to the first two films, but there is not much worthwhile to make the sequel. A very blatant showcase of repentance(Michael's). Coppola being Coppola (for more, Charlie rose interview and "Heart of Darkness" documentary) probably wanted to stress and underline this, and also make a good few bucks especially with him on a downward spiral at that moment. Coincidentally, Coppola was coping with death of his son.

Vivasaayi
10th November 2009, 10:09 AM
gf3 had andy garcia apart from al pacino.

he was impressive too...aanaa he is very much similar to pacino...looks and acting wise.

groucho070
10th November 2009, 11:23 AM
GF3's predecessor are too huge to be compared to, but it's inevitable no thanks to the same team behind.

I agree with Vivs, I revisit GF3 for Pacino and Garcia. Garcia is what if he inherited his grandpa and Uncle Michael's look and Sonny's temper. Biggest trouble is the casting. George Hamilton? Bob Duvall keetta panatta koduttirukka vendiyathutaane? Sofia Coppola??? Okay, its an improvement over the original choice (Winona), but still???

Here's a shocker. If Puzo didn't die, they would have gone ahead with GF4 :shock:

P_R
10th November 2009, 03:31 PM
Kevin Spacey impersonations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKDKAKNH-k

hamid
10th November 2009, 05:17 PM
watched Chinatown and citizen Kane last weekend.. :clap:

"forget it jake.. it is chinatown" - too good of a dialak.. had some sort of relief by hearing this dialak...

"romba tension aavatha.. onniyum panna muidyaathu.. poytee iru" -nnu directa enkitta sonna maathiri irunthathu :sad:

Citizen Kane - rise and fall of a man who wants to be loved by all without loving anybody.. nice movie.. :clap:

( should not see 2/3 movies continiously :hammer: )

groucho070
11th November 2009, 08:02 AM
Nobody's Fool (1994) Revisit.

A subject, Americans, especially Irish American's love. Daaddaa....

Told totally from the dysfunctional and distant dad's point of view, the film is bitter sweet. I wonder if we can appreciate the lead role if it was not played by Paul Newman and his set of charms. Bruce Willis, his real hair, Melanie Griffith and her pair of own "charms" make guest appearance.

Also, watchout for Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the small town cop.

ajithfederer
12th November 2009, 08:07 AM
Patton

George C. Scott :clap: .

ajithfederer
12th November 2009, 09:46 AM
P_R watch this when deniro and pacino go for ice cream. The guy who does pacino(frank caliendo) is a professional impersonator.

Kevin Spacey impersonations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKDKAKNH-k

groucho070
13th November 2009, 07:31 AM
History of The World Pt 1 revisit.

Not the best from Mel Brooks, but there was laugh a plenty. No wonder its hard to laugh at some of those so-called parody that's coming out of the Hollywood factory these days. Nice to see Spike Milligan in it. Great man, Milligan!!!

P_R
13th November 2009, 08:37 AM
History of The World Pt 1 revisit.

Oedipus (as a blind beggar now): Hey Josephus !
Gregory Hines: Hey mother ######

:rotfl3:

After Count de Monet has fallen off from the balcony
MelBrooks:Count de money
Count: (off-screen weak voice) de mo-nay :rotfl2:

MelBrooks trying to pass of old wine
Jesus: One of you is going to betray me
MB: Judas !
Judas: <scared the hell out) uh !
MB: Judas, would you like to try our wine :lol:

MB : It's good to be the King :lol: :lol:

Shooting peasants instead of phesants :rotfl:
Shoots and misses and remarks
MB: He drifted too much to the left :lol:

Royal Announcer
We present to you the cretins from Sparta....make that, the Spartans from Crete. :lol:

NOV
13th November 2009, 09:03 AM
:omg: I loved the movie... I watched it in the cinema on the recommendation by my cousin.
Really :rotfl:
I remember at the end of the film .. there will be a warning of a Part II. but I dont think it came out :evil:

if you enjoyed HotW, try Cavemen - :thumbsup:

groucho070
13th November 2009, 09:06 AM
:lol: My wife, a Catholic, laughed the hardest during the Spanish Inquisition musical scene :lol: :shock:

My other favourite moment.

Madeline Kahn: The servant waits while the master bathes. :?

Roman Officer: Do you know the penalty for a slave who strikes a Roman citizen?
[people in the crowd raise hands enthusiastically]
Roman Officer: Ok, you... you had your hand up first.
Man in crowd: Death by torture!
Roman Officer: No... You?
Man in crowd: Crucifixion!
Roman Officer: Wrong! You?
Man in crowd: They shove a living snake up your ass!
Roman Officer: Ah, no... but that's very creative!

Moses: The Lord, the Lord Jehovah has given unto you these fifteen...
[drops one of the tablets]
Moses: Oy! Ten! Ten commandments for all to obey! :lol:

P_R
13th November 2009, 09:29 AM
You can't Torquemada anything !

groucho070
13th November 2009, 09:40 AM
Another one, can't forgot the exact dialogue that follows, but Brooks' Jewish Old man shtick :lol:

God: Moses...(blah, blah)...do you hear me.
Moses: Yah, yah, a dead man can hear you.
God: What did you say?
Moses (some maluppal, forgot but the mannerism :lol: )

ajithfederer
13th November 2009, 10:43 PM
Gangs of nEW yORK

groucho070
14th November 2009, 07:53 AM
Gangs of nEW yORKAnd?

VENKIRAJA
15th November 2009, 10:57 AM
The lives of others
The Shawshank Redemption
(B2B on UTV WM)

Two very powerful movies. TSR deserves to be #1 at the IMDb. :notworthy:

ajithfederer
17th November 2009, 04:11 AM
Bourne 3 - Save for the shaky camera this one is a fantastic action piece. Bourne fighting Desh in a house is one of the best action scenes choreographed. Great agility and speed.

As LM, said in an other thread the final shot in the film with Damon coming out of water coupled with the Moby - Extreme Ways soundtrack is a :smokesmirk: moment.

And ???. Onnum illa.

Gangs of nEW yORKAnd?

groucho070
17th November 2009, 07:32 AM
And ???. Onnum illa.

Gangs of nEW yORKAnd?Sari, Mani style-la keetkiren...."pudichirukkaa?"

ajithfederer
17th November 2009, 09:02 AM
:lol:. Padam pudichirukku.

And ???. Onnum illa.

Gangs of nEW yORKAnd?Sari, Mani style-la keetkiren...."pudichirukkaa?"

littlemaster1982
17th November 2009, 10:11 AM
Bourne 3 - Save for the shaky camera this one is a fantastic action piece. Bourne fighting Desh in a house is one of the best action scenes choreographed. Great agility and speed.

AF,

I felt shaky cam worked well in this film. Even that chase on walking (:lol:) was really tense because of the BGM and camera work.

Have you seen United 93 by the same director? Adhuvum full-a shaky cam-dhan.

groucho070
17th November 2009, 11:14 AM
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954) revisit...after the novel's reread (after Tondhy yearssss).

Kirk Douglass is soooo wrong!!!! There is something noble in Ned Lands of the book though he may or may not be cannibal himself. Peter Lorre's dubious professor's servant is an improvement. James Mason and Paul Lucas as the actual lead, Captain Nemo and Prof. Arronax are wonderful. Particularly Mason who injected a bit more emotion to Nemo. Nice smooth story telling, but still captivating action scenes and, in particular, the squid attack which must have been brilliant at that time. I leave the comparison between nuclear paranoia, environmentalism, Verne's prophecy, etc to the experts. It's still enjoyable even in small screen (the DVD came with a Donal Duck cartoon, seeing that this is a Disney film, that also shows the power of Cinemascope, the first for the studio).

leosimha
17th November 2009, 12:29 PM
Has anybody watched "The Shawshank Redemption"?

groucho070
17th November 2009, 12:40 PM
Way back when it was released. Felt it was good then. Not sure how I would feel now.

kid-glove
17th November 2009, 12:49 PM
It will be very difficult to find anyone here (active in this thread) who hadn't watched Shawshank yet.

kid-glove
17th November 2009, 12:51 PM
Groucho,
Have you watched "Seven days in May" starring Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster? I have the DVD but haven't watched it yet.