Any listen online links ?

fan_ir
14th November 2009, 04:16 PM
Full Length Here...
Halke Se Bole - Way too Short :(
GumSum - Bavatharini ?

Mere Paa - Kattu Vazhi

Considering Mere Paa, we have 3 remixed tracks :P

Some nice variation in the Paa Theme track.
http://www.in.com/music/album-paa-67429.html

rajasaranam
14th November 2009, 04:33 PM
Any Idea Who has done the remix track of Paa theme? It Damn good a remix. Hope its Raaja as always who doesnt allow anyone else to touch his music :D

rajasaranam
14th November 2009, 04:35 PM
Mudhi Mudhi is Pure Gold Raaja OOOOOOOOOOOO.......... :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:
The f'king interlude is....Owsome
and Iam not tired after listening to this modern version of 'Thumbi Vaa' as 'gumsum' he has taken it to another plane altogether.
The God of Guitar is Raaja without doubt!

rajasaranam
14th November 2009, 04:44 PM
Marana Adi album to all his detractors It proves again that the right theme and the mood board of the movie is what decides his musical output. :thumbsup:

rajasaranam
14th November 2009, 04:49 PM
Hichki Hichki is unpredictable all the way...gets us in a roller coaster ride from start till end. :victory:

rajasaranam
14th November 2009, 05:03 PM
After a Long time Mere Paa made me the saddest person on earth. tears started rolling down listening to this song. When the song ended I realised Iam sitting right in the middle of our living room with ear phones on. :cry:
To be true 'Kattu vazhi' never did this to me as that song had a melancholic mood only...and thats Raaja for us 'Master of Emotional music' :D:

rajasaranam
14th November 2009, 05:07 PM
....and my hands went to 'Gumsum' for a replay after listening the full album once :lol2:

MumbaiRamki
14th November 2009, 06:16 PM
Mudhi Mudhi - Interlude, prelude , whole stuff is 80s 'Kannan vandhu paadukinraan' energy and orchestration . Fantastic stuff !!!

Gum Summ - I don't know what to say about second interlude , is this Yanni meets Jazz Pianist meets Raaja ?

Udhi Udhi - Same stuff , with minor alterations ...First is Vanilla with Hot fudge , this is Vanilla with Strawberry essence !

Hichki Hichki - Konjam Southie feel , dont know this will be received. Has a strong KR orchestration feel ( seri seri ..puriudhu) ..CHaranam is kick ass stuff ( to prove further , try hearing zamana by KR , you can get the same feel ) !

Mere Paa - let he movie release , thisis going to stick to our hearts- even otherwise , having heard the tamizh version , its nice !!!!

Halke se bole - Not same magic as the tamizh one , but fits here perfectly !

Guess , Raaja remembered his old days when he used to pluck Guitar - this is guitarish , kick ass stuff album !

app_engine
14th November 2009, 07:17 PM
pA - pAlki's tribute to pA's (pAlu mahendra, pArathi rAjA) :-)

app_engine
14th November 2009, 07:18 PM
Once again, the maestro proves he can deliver as per the demand.

Whether it is pazhassi rAjA or pA, one stop shop :-)

MumbaiRamki
14th November 2009, 07:28 PM
Hichiki song 2 nd interlude has the Paa signature theme (which represents the kid) ..so is this a song played during love-making that results in the kid ?

The lyrics is too diff for my hindi to comprehend :)

MumbaiRamki
14th November 2009, 07:53 PM
And im waiting for a review like this

Paa's signature tune ( celtic music ) is good , although resembles the airtel signature tune by the other maestro closely ;)

kj
14th November 2009, 08:09 PM
Paa is an Avant-garde album.

Hulkster
14th November 2009, 08:23 PM
Kadavuley.....Mandai pichikithu, Yellam genresum raajavukku vandanam seiyura kaatchi yellam theriyuthu. :notworthy:

irir123
14th November 2009, 08:25 PM
where can i get the cd online ?

krish244
14th November 2009, 10:59 PM
Is there a site where we can listen to full songs in stereo? Hungama site has in stereo, but they are only samples! in.com site has it in mono.

Where are you guys listening from?

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
14th November 2009, 11:21 PM
T-Series launches music of Illalayaraja's Paa

http://www.radioandmusic.com/content/editorial/news/t-series-launches-music-illalayarajas-paa

"MUMBAI: The music of T-Series 'Paa' which stars father-son Amitabh-Abhishek Bachchan has been officially launched today on 14 November. Media reports had mentined earlier that the event for the official music launch of the film touted to be held today has been cancelled due to unavailability of IIalayaraja, the music director of the film who is busy with his projects down south.

When Radioandmusic.com contacted T-Series president - marketing media publishing (TV) Vinod Bhanushali denied cancellation of any such event. "We had never planned any formal music launch. Hence the cancellation of the event due to unavailability of Illayaraja does not stand true. The music of the film is out on stands today."

Apart from the other promotions, the label has run a contest online where listeners can hear one of the songs from the movie and answer few questions related to the movie."

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
15th November 2009, 12:44 AM

Paa's signature tune ( celtic music ) is good , although resembles the airtel signature tune by the other maestro closely ;)

Oops I too felt the same and consoled myself that we will anyway refute by quoting "Muthu Muthu Nilavu Muthathila Irukku" :lol:

csramasami
15th November 2009, 12:53 AM
RS : Brilliant first impression comments all the way! Let me echo all you said in all comments! :notworthy:

Any Idea Who has done the remix track of Paa theme? It Damn good a remix. Hope its Raaja as always who doesnt allow anyone else to touch his music :D

Doubting whether it may be a last minute play of Adesh & AB with IR's track music planned for end title credits?

However, no doubt its nice and brought back us from a totally devasted melencholic mood from Meri Maa.... song of AB and Hitchki Hitchki in Keeravani.

MumbaiRamki
15th November 2009, 12:55 AM
http://mumbairamki.blogspot.com/

MY review (is it review ? opinion may be )
on PAa music and avideo on progeria !

rajasaranam
15th November 2009, 01:38 AM
RS : Brilliant first impression comments all the way! Let me echo all you said in all comments! :notworthy:

Doubting whether it may be a last minute play of Adesh & AB with IR's track music planned for end title credits?

However, no doubt its nice and brought back us from a totally devasted melencholic mood from Meri Maa.... song of AB and Hitchki Hitchki in Keeravani.

Revisited Paa theme Remix : and Iam convinced 99.999999% that its by Raaja. Some of the patterns is very much Raajaish... and if its by someone else we must really appreciate the talent as this is highly professsional remix. Instead of taking the same song and speeding up the tempo and layering it with groovy beats and music, It has been reworked completely to give a different color...really loved the jamaican/Hawaiin kind of feel in the song....or Ithu Raajaathaano :D

rajasaranam
15th November 2009, 01:41 AM
Kadavuley.....Mandai pichikithu, Yellam genresum raajavukku vandanam seiyura kaatchi yellam theriyuthu. :notworthy:

Rock, Jazz, WCM, Celtic...! what? the Genre is 'Raaja' as always :notworthy:

csramasami
15th November 2009, 01:50 AM
RS : "Rock, Jazz, WCM, Celtic...! what? the Genre is 'Raaja' as always "

Full Stop.

Simple. Powerful. :exactly:

Hulkster
15th November 2009, 08:35 AM

The original Paa's tune came in 2004 in AOKK, was the airtel theme composed before or after? Edit : Ok searched it in google, it came in 2002. I think the celtic tone of both themes bring the closest similarity.

Shankar.P
15th November 2009, 10:00 AM
Dear friends, it is available online in raaga.com; right now I'm enjoying those beauties.

shankar

ananth222
15th November 2009, 10:16 AM

The original Paa's tune came in 2004 in AOKK, was the airtel theme composed before or after? Edit : Ok searched it in google, it came in 2002. I think the celtic tone of both themes bring the closest similarity.
speaking of airtel tune, I think there was a suggestion that the words "muthu muthu vilakku muthathila irukku muthu ponnu siricha vekkathula" would fit well in that tune...

csramasami
15th November 2009, 10:42 AM
[tscii:6eca38eca6]One of the seniormost and closest fan of AB's Blog (who was in London now in USA) writes this:

Quote:

284.rochelle says:
November 15, 2009 at 8:25 am

I have listened to the songs on the PAA site and I will probably play a couple on my radio show although it won’t have the impact of the radio stations there. I had no idea radio is so big now. What you did with your voice is quite unbelievable in the ‘PAA Song’ .

Love,
Rochelle

Un Quote

[/tscii:6eca38eca6]

Fliflo
15th November 2009, 11:43 AM
"speaking of airtel tune, I think there was a suggestion that the words "muthu muthu vilakku muthathila irukku muthu ponnu siricha vekkathula" would fit well in that tune.."

I second this. This is from movie "Devathai" composed by IR in 1998. Pay attention to the Charanam in the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fot8XXvga7g&feature=PlayList&p=6D9F6F1FCA066FDD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35

:poke:

Fliflo
15th November 2009, 11:53 AM
Watch the above video till the end of the song. Just before the song ends, the repetition of pallavi at a little increased pace by the male singers glimses way closer to the airtel tune though. :idontgetit:

Hulkster
15th November 2009, 01:31 PM
Okay cut all these posts. Lets focus on PAA songs. Intha topic sandai potthu potthu bore adichi pochi.

PAA has thalaivar delving into jazz more closely. And the surprising part is the different type of sounds he can come up with one genre. After all they all play in his OWN genre. :D

AravindMano
15th November 2009, 01:37 PM
Mudhi Mudhi is freaking awesome!

K
15th November 2009, 02:52 PM
Cheeni Kum la Theme Melody yo Ila Sax Melody yo Sariya nyabagam illa Paa vo da Mudi Mudiya Nyabaga paduthuthu, Ila?

irir123
15th November 2009, 07:20 PM
hey guys - the CK sax melody has been tweaked here and there and has become 'mudi mudi'!! methinks - there are lots of similarities!

also, the overall feel of the album has been given a sheen a la the kind shankar-ehsan-loy usually give to an album - especially the remix piece! or perhaps, SEL give remix kind of music all the time - either way, this album has the trappins of doing well

the glitches are the unforgiveably short 'halke se' and the repetition of 'mudi mudi' tune in 3 versions - idhu aniyayam

Fliflo
15th November 2009, 07:59 PM
Hulkster,

Mannichukonga.. Definitely I don't want to instigate a fight here. Did some research as the fans were a bit ebbed by the feeling on the theme piece. Now we all have been clarified. That's all. I am sorry if it sounded like a fight dude... :oops:

Let's move on!

best

Fliflo

Hulkster
15th November 2009, 08:43 PM
:lol2: Appadi yellam ellei, it seemed that more posts would be bound to attract attention that's why, athukku thaan precaution.

Eppo Cheeni Kum sax theme vereiya? I think Mudi Mudi is quite original, i dunt think its a remake of any particular song.

Sureshs65
15th November 2009, 11:18 PM
My views on the album:

Mudi Mudi - I guess this has been discussed quite a bit. A very lively, youthful, funky, zestful,(add some more adjectives), number. Lovely guitars in the interlude. I am sure this is the one which will be promoted heavily and we can hear this often on the FM radio stations. Everything about this song reeks class, the tune, the orchestration, the singing, the lyrics. The guitar joining the pallavi towards the end is a lovely touch enhancing the mood of Mohanam.

Gum Sum Gum: The starting does not give you an idea that this is the remaking of 'thumbhi vaa'. Very strong rhythms drive the start before the pallavi is played on the synth. The rhythms again drive it after the pallavi is sung. The first interlude is on synth but the guitar that comes after the first line of charanam is superb. The surprise is the constant beat that accompanies the charanam relentlessly. Lovely guitar and keyboard work in the second interlude. Very jazzy feel. The keyboards especially play in what I tend to call as 'controlled improvisation' which we see more in Raja's songs nowadays. A very nice and trendy remaking of the song.

Hichki Hichki: A trendy and funky song. The orchestration that follows the singer and complements her in the pallavi is superb. The interlude is on the synth done in a nice way. You can't imagine that the charanam would have start that way and neither can you predict the way the tune would flow. Nice singing by Sunidhi. You can't predict the second interlude as well. To all those looking for unpredictability in the tune, here is one and a lovely one at that. Just check how the song ends!!! Amazing stuff. If this is not experimentation, what is? !!

Mudi Mudi Gali Mudi: A slower version of Mudi Mudi. The mood is more somber here. The orchestration is also toned down to match the mood. The violins come in wonderfully during the interlude as does the guitar. When the guitar plays you exclaim, 'As good as it gets'!!!

Halke Se Bole: Very short indeed. Promising start. Could have made this into a full fledged song at least for the CD :(

Meri Paa: Bachchan does a nice job here. If we believe what Aadesh said in an interview that no post processing was done and Amitabh sang like this, it is indeed commendable. (I can easily map this song to Raja's voice.) The interlude is ofcourse the theme music, which we all know by now. Amazing the way the charanam is structured. You will not be surprised if "Jakkamma" (Solla Marandha Kadhai) is a song you like. You would have had a glimpse of how Raja's mind works for such situations. Only a master, who understands the story, understands the characters fully, can tune this way. To me, this song showcases Raja's mastery over film music idiom. To those who are shouting from the rooftops that Raja should retire from film music, please listen to this song. There is no one, just no one, in the music industry who understands a film and its characters better than Raja. The truth is that lot of directors who work with Raja should retire even before they make their first movie !!

All in all, a very funky, youthful, zestful album from this amazing artist. Waiting for the CD to be released. Yet to hit the stores.

Sureshs65
15th November 2009, 11:24 PM
Reg the Gum Sum song being a reworking of 'thumbi vaa' and the argument of ragaas, I can understand his and others disappointment. This being the nth remake of the song. I look at this slightly differently. 'sangathil', 'thumbi vaa', 'aakasham', 'neer veezchi' and the Sunday Monday song all belong to the same breed. Mostly the instrumentation is same or similar. The only version I accept as a rework is the instrumental version, where is there a definite shift in the mood. The Hindi version now will classify as a remake since the mood and the instrumentation totally changes here.

Plum had a good argument about the song born due to the director MD interaction. In 'Cheeni Kum' Balki was successful in using songs like these. Lets hope he succeeds here as well.

Should he have used the same tune again or not? I am honestly ambivalent here. I am surely not complaining since I like this reworked version as well.

Sureshs65
15th November 2009, 11:36 PM
A few observations about latest trends in Raja's music after having listened to Paa.

- Funky numbers are coming fast from him. The playfulness that people found missing in him is back. 'nilavu varum nearam', 'ponmani theril', 'ilavasu', 'hodadavane' and now 'mudi mudi' and 'hichki'

- More and more melodies are keyboard / piano driven nowadays. Songs in Valmiki, songs in Madhiya Chennai', lot of such usage in Paa songs as well

- Unfortunately flute has taken a back seat. It comes in occasionally as in the 'kunnathe' song but is not all pervading as in earlier times

- There is more free flow interludes nowadays as compared to the more precise interludes of earlier days. The second interlude of 'Gum Sum' is an example. The way the piano / keyboard plays is what I would term as 'controlled improvisation'. The feel of improvisation exists in that interlude, at the same time you know there is some amount of control as well. I observed this in the 'unnai patri sonnal' song and in some Valmiki songs as well.

- Guitars are back. Unlike the earlier days when the guitar was all pervasive but was a bit low key, the guitars nowadays are more upfront and possess more steel. This happens more in his Hindi output, 'Chal Chalein' and now 'Paa'.

- The violins are present but again the number of songs which feature them have reduced. But whichever song they are prominent, those songs have a different sheen altogether. 'Rangu Rangu', 'Enge Nee Sendralum', 'Meri Paa', 'Swapnangal Kannezhudiya' etc.

Reg Paa, nothing to complain. The lyrics are good, the singers are good, the recording is good and the music.... heavenly.

Sureshs65
15th November 2009, 11:59 PM
Reg the success of Paa's music I am very optimistic. This is because of the current trend here. All that is required from a Hindi film nowadays (and other languages as well) is one song which can be played repeatedly on radio and TV. Having an additional song which is also good is a bonus. If you observe the supposedly 'hit' albums of recent vintage you will see this to be true. (There are exceptions like Delhi 6, which had many hit songs.) Second, how good is your marketing effort. It basically means how well you tie up with the Radio and TV folks and ensure they play your song every hour, if not twice every hour.

In that regard, 'Mudi Mudi' is an excellent candidate for the 'catchy' song part which can be played repeatedly. This film being produced by Amitabh, a new theme, the expectations and an expert marketing man like Balki will ensure that every media has something to say about Paa and its music. I expect the music to be as big a hit as 'Cheeni Kum', if not more.

Hmmm... Too many continuous posts for one late evening :) Will stop now.

Shankar.P
16th November 2009, 01:10 AM
Big B is happy...

Its been a strenuous evening with the radio press. My brief had been to speak like Auro and do the interview without disclosing who the real AB was, which I might add is heavy on the accent and the gums, because it was the gums that hurt the most when you want to bring on that particular tone to the voice. A rewarding moment though and somewhat emotional for some. I wonder why. Why do they all breakdown and cry after they take the interview. Methinks they lament the fact that they have been subjected to this torturous routine of mine. But one does not argue with the Director and especially when he is sitting in Chennai with the maestro Ilairaja doing the background and the final mix.

csramasami
16th November 2009, 01:10 AM
Suresh65 :

Standing Ovation....! :clap: :exactly: :2thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :ty:

Regards-CSR

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2009, 01:33 AM
Listening to the album even as i'm writing this.

Mudi Mudi - This song is a winner and i'd already written about it (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1961638#1961638). Only Mudi Mudi is going to garner TV/radio time

Gumm Summ - Synth again, nobody can dislike any variation of this song, liked the prelude (interesting) and the secnd interlude is amazing because doing jazz is one thing but what he has done here is not the popular hook one would expect in jazz numbers in IFM (big band feel with trumpets/sax/crashing symbals etc as against piano/guitar/sax solos and improvisations) but a better deal . However, there are 2 big problems. Sandhams - how many times have we seen this before with IR in Hindi? This will not work (Mudi Mudi kooda slightly similar indha vishayathula but the melodic cover is completely different IMO). Secondly, the depth and complexity sureshot well left by the Northies. Idhu condescension illa, avinga complexity vera but staccato sandham structure ellam velaikkavadhu anga. They keep it melodically simple and sweet. Else, it is going to be a Hindustani based complexity in the tune. (correct me if i'm wrong)
["Thumbi Va" is a case of the tune/melody being based in a pattern of rhythm - the samba style and its stunning marriage set in the 'kaapi' context. not just the pallavi but the entire song]

Hichki Hichki - Not very impressive. Great second interlude, though

Halkke Se Bole - Same as Gumm Summ, as in here its not about sandham necessarily but this friggin awesome tune - won't work with them. What were Balki and Raaja thinking? :huh:

Meri Paa - Situational song. The AOKK violin piece is beautiful

Remix - Nice Little piece there but that's about it and the percussion isn't all that impressive

A line or two about the Raaja i saw in Mudi Mudi and the 2nd interlude of Gumm Summ. There's quite an amount of sarakku in this amudha surabhi called Raaja that even the most hard core of our lot are not aware of. I guess these flashes just surface from time to time (in the present scenario). It baffles the mind how he does all this at this age. What Kamal said about NT applies for this man as well - thayir sora pottu indha singatha seekaliyave vechirukkom. Avar thottam avar varalaam but we are missing out.
We don't need devotees to work with raaja, we need someone strong and one with a good enough music sense to get the amrudhan out of the man.
Stunned by the album at places but overall i have my feet on the ground

Disclaimer: First impression

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2009, 02:39 AM
Mudi Mudi - ..... The guitar joining the pallavi towards the end is a lovely touch enhancing the mood of Mohanam.

:exactly:

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2009, 02:45 AM
The prelude phrase of "Udi Udi" resembles Anjali title theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l43pcyy9Y5Y) (from 00:26). and the interlude is just beautiful. Can't pick between Mudi Mudi and Udi Udi!
Yes, glad to see the guitar god in this album 8-)

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2009, 03:10 AM
The double bass (upright bass) pizzicato in the prelude and interlude of Mudi Mudi is superb, not to mention the slap bass in the interlude!

p
16th November 2009, 03:14 AM
though mudi mudi will go well with the masses,

hichki hichki is my personal favorite. So many things are going in this song..it is structured differently! வெட்டி வெட்டி வரும் ரிதம் ..i like that a lot! and the way the song ends :)

the singer has down a very good job too.

krish244
16th November 2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks "Shankar.K" for the info that the songs are in raaga.com. Thank God its in "stereo". My thoughts.

1. Mudi: My favourite song from this album. A melodious tune sung nicely by Shilpa Rao. I love the way the guitar like sound starts like a sax in the first interlude. Loved the jazzy accompaniment for the charanam portions.

2. Gumsum: A nice prelude (slight variation of main pallavi tune) for a wonderful tune. First lude is short and sweet, but the second lude is more attractive. I felt the kid/chorus singing does not suit that well. I guess Bhava is singing for the first time in Hindi for IR.

3. Udhi: I loved the orchestration in this version of mudi mudi song too. Guitar and Jazzy feel!

4. Hichki: Although first line of pallavi sounds a tad bit southie, the rest of the song should catch the northies attention. Charanam portion has nice tune. The way Sunidhi ends the pallavi and charanam shows her talent. "hichak..hichak" words and the horse foot tapping sounds gels nicely.

5. Gali: I liked even this version of mudi mudi song for the fact that Shaan has nicely sung it and the music. Prelude is almost like a smooth pop song. Are those real strings in the lude?

6. Halke Se Bole: I somehow did not like kids/chorus singing this class tune. I would have loved a solo (probably by Shreya/Sunidhi) or a duet with orchestration like that in "poo poothadhu" from MX.

7. Mere paa: Keeping in mind the character he plays, Amitabh has done a nice job singing. I really wish he gets to sing another full length song for IR in his normal voice.

8. Paa theme: I am not really sure if IR was involved in this remix. I am saying this because the tabla kind of rhythm/percussion sounds and the african kind of chorus in between and the small guitar pieces has nothing much unique about. IR would have certainly made it more unique and wouldn't have kept the rhythm/percussion monotonous. Nevertheless, nicely done. Someone else (maybe Aadhesh or Balki's ad team (remember..."naguva" had a couple of variations)) might have done it.

A nice album for sure, especially for all the three variations of "mudi mudi" song. I also like "Hichiki" song. I would have really loved more flutes and strings. Anyway, guitar and jazzy feel compensates.

BTW, is that real guitar in so many places. Some places its evident, but some places not sure. What about the piece that starts like a sax in the lude of mudi song? What fascinates me is that IR keeps finding ways to present new sounds. Please bring back more flutes and strings too!

thanks

Krishnan

rajasaranam
16th November 2009, 09:45 AM
http://www.musicaloud.com/2009/11/15/paa-music-review/

raagas
16th November 2009, 11:23 AM
I liked the album,but i have many reservations about Gumsum.I felt the song was unnecessarily loaded with too much synth.So much of it that it robbed the beauty of the composition.

The beauty of Thumbi Vaa was the constant bassline, which ran through the song like its lifeline.The song is still considered to be one of the textbooks, when it comes to basslines.And people could discern bassline because the percussions in original song had a simple tabla, with a lil complex rhythm pattern that went well with the tune.So while the main tune was lilting, the bassline, clearly audible due to unidimensional percussion, could attract listener's attention.

Gumsum's percussion sounds like a cacophony, in which the bassline seems to be drowned completely.With little effort, i could listen to chords, instead of bassline.

This song might work because of its catchiness,but the composition was not about catchiness. There was a lot of genius that was evident in its original composition.It all seems gone.It all got reduced to another cover version or remix.Yes, the 2nd interlude had a jazzy feel, and makes us feel that IR went into a new territory,but i felt the jazz piece did not go with the flow.Something which rarely happens in the case of IR songs, because his songs make us feel that all the pieces form a homogenous whole.In this one,i didnt feel so. I felt as if some music band is paying a tribute to Ilaiyaraaja and has experimented by borrowing jazz and mixing it with ilaiyaraaja tune.I dont say its bad. My problem is it doesnt sound like Ilaiyaraaja or infact, it doesnt let his genius surface.
To be honest, Sunday Ko from Aur Ek Prem Kahani had interludes that had his stamp.the jazz pieces in this song, being good, sound too experiments-by-a-seasoned-jazz-fusion-band kind instead of... Maestro.

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2009, 11:34 AM
I liked the album,but i have many reservations about Gumsum.I felt the song was unnecessarily loaded with too much synth.So much of it that it robbed the beauty of the composition.

The beauty of Thumbi Vaa was the constant bassline, which ran through the song like its lifeline.The song is still considered to be one of the textbooks, when it comes to basslines.And people could discern bassline because the percussions in original song had a simple tabla, with a lil complex rhythm pattern that went well with the tune.So while the main tune was lilting, the bassline, clearly audible due to unidimensional percussion, could attract listener's attention.

Gumsum's percussion sounds like a cacophony, in which the bassline seems to be drowned completely.With little effort, i could listen to chords, instead of bassline.

IMO, without a shred of doubt, Thumbi Vaa had the greatest bass lines ever written in IF history. As for synth, well .... :)

Yes, the 2nd interlude had a jazzy feel, and makes us feel that IR went into a new territory,but i felt the jazz piece did not go with the flow.Something which rarely happens in the case of IR songs, because his songs make us feel that all the pieces form a homogenous whole.In this one,i didnt feel so. I felt as if some music band is paying a tribute to Ilaiyaraaja and has experimented by borrowing jazz and mixing it with ilaiyaraaja tune.I dont say its bad. My problem is it doesnt sound like Ilaiyaraaja or infact, it doesnt let his genius surface.
To be honest, Sunday Ko from Aur Ek Prem Kahani had interludes that had his stamp.the jazz pieces in this song, being good, sound too experiments-by-a-seasoned-jazz-fusion-band kind instead of... Maestro.
Not sure if i agree with you here. The prelude sets the mood for the song and the 2nd interlude is an extension of this mood. At least it didn't feel out of place for me (from 3:14 in the 2nd lude there's a guitar riff that sets the ball rolling and the lude ends with the same riff. I thought it was a good fit). The vocals were a problem for me and the synth but certainly not orchestration, most certainly not the 2nd interlude. Maestro IS a seasoned fusion/jam band life time member :razz:

p
16th November 2009, 11:59 AM
though mudi mudi will go well with the masses,

hichki hichki is my personal favorite. So many things are going in this song..it is structured differently! வெட்டி வெட்டி வரும் ரிதம் ..i like that a lot! and the way the song ends :)

the singer has down a very good job too.

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2009, 12:36 PM
BTW, is that real guitar in so many places. Some places its evident, but some places not sure. What about the piece that starts like a sax in the lude of mudi song? What fascinates me is that IR keeps finding ways to present new sounds. Please bring back more flutes and strings too!

Electric (lead) guitar

rajasaranam
16th November 2009, 02:55 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/i/xdrpaa00back.jpg/
Ok The Remix is by someone called 'Vicky Goswami' and he has done an Excellent Work. The Raajaishness we find in the remix is probably because the basic template is from Raaja :)

uwithsankar
16th November 2009, 03:21 PM
hichki hichki - Inba then vanthu pathu yen kathinile.. Raaj Long live.

csramasami
16th November 2009, 04:14 PM
Ok The Remix is by someone called 'Vicky Goswami' and he has done an Excellent Work. The Raajaishness we find in the remix is probably because the basic template is from Raaja :)

I am only worried that this shall not attract any negative reaction from IR. :roll:

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2009, 04:27 PM
I'm hooked to the "Gumm Summ" prelude :musicsmile: What an interpretation/variation :thumbsup:

Plum
16th November 2009, 04:41 PM
After a lot of consideration and listening and dithering, I have come to the conclusion that naan kadavuL still stands tall among this year's, admittedly, varied and quality output.

That one's for ages.

Sureshs65
16th November 2009, 05:11 PM
RS,

If you hear the first interlude of the remix, especially the chorus portion, it is positively Rahmanish. That is what I felt when I first heard it.

raagas
16th November 2009, 05:30 PM
My picks for 2009's absolute gems: Nan Kadavul, Nandhalala, Prem Kahani, Bhagyadevatha, Valmiki and Pazhassi Raja. the rest have their own hits and misses, qualitatively..but these are phenomenal.

Sureshs65
16th November 2009, 06:14 PM
Plum,

Let us wait for one more movie, 'Suryakanthi' and then we will break our heads :) We have to come up with Best of 2009 type stuff at the end of the year anyway. It is almost mandatory now :D

thumburu
16th November 2009, 06:33 PM
My top 3 IR albums of 2009 go as 1. prem kahani - for whopping 6 wonderful songs
2. Jaganmohini - 3 very good songs and 1 good song
3. KannukuLLe - No skip worthy song

Sureshs65
16th November 2009, 06:57 PM
thumburu,

Good that you mention 'jaganmohini' and 'kannukulle'. Not many would mention it. I love both these albums as well.

rajaalltheway
16th November 2009, 07:05 PM
The factor I believe that gives Paa the edge with all due respect to ayyas recent hindi outings is the lyrics.After Sadma,a proper support from the lyricist at last ...Sameers' work in cheeni Kum and Hey Raam were really mundane,Nitin Raikwar was much better in Shiva... Regarding Raagas s' Airtel comparison,I ve always felt that it was a rehash of Kamaal Khans 'Suno to diwana dil' song which became a rage after O o jaane jaana and shirtless salman appeared.
If a bunch of kids starts singing what else do you get other than a bit of cacophony... which you enjoy.. i personally do..

irir123
16th November 2009, 07:12 PM

WHERE IS THE CD AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ONLINE ?? :shaking: :sigh2:

irir123
16th November 2009, 07:18 PM
http://movies.rediff.com/review/2009/nov/16/south-tamil-music-review-mathiya-chennai.htm

Mathiya Chennai: Trademark Ilayaraja

"in many ways, its trademark Ilayaraja of olden times, minus the musical feats that some of his classic usually contain. Perhaps that might be a direct result of the project itself; this collection works best if you're a diehard fan."

ramk1
16th November 2009, 07:24 PM
In PAA, 1 tune re-used 3 times (Mudi Mudi), followed by a southie sounding song which is a rehash for the nth time. And then a song which was a master piece which lasts for a few minutes. And then a re mix by some un known. Is this a genius expected to do. It is my guess that KR might have scored for mudhi and not Raja. Well, we are all rejoicing for this one song which is FM/Sat TV material, but as a genius, he has not done justification to the chance he had in PAA. What other chances does this maestro expect?. going back in time to the pre 1992 or what?. He probably quit filmi music and start with non-filmi music. I am somewhat feeling that, IR has come to a stage when MSV was in his waning period when IR's musical onslaught continued.

Sureshs65
16th November 2009, 07:33 PM
ramk1,

With all the wranglings going on in this thread regarding whether something should be rehashed or not and such stuff, what was missing was a dash of humor. You have provided it now :lol: Thanks for that.

raagas
16th November 2009, 07:38 PM
ramk1

:) a disappointment over one album neednt make one write off IR completely man!relax. Paa has its own share of some good musical moments,though it might not bombard the Hindi music scene.

raagas
16th November 2009, 07:40 PM
Plum,

Let us wait for one more movie, 'Suryakanthi' and then we will break our heads :) We have to come up with Best of 2009 type stuff at the end of the year anyway. It is almost mandatory now :D

I completely agree suresh. we still cannot call it "a year". Suryakanti and Om Shanti (telugu) might come out. And that reminds me, whatever happened to Singeetham's "Thyagaraja".

ramk1
16th November 2009, 07:54 PM
Suresh,
I just expected something of Mudi Mudi standard all through out the album. Pls note, i mentioned standard and not a replica of the same song all thru the album.

Plum
16th November 2009, 08:10 PM
While I am second to none as a msv defender, IR is still scoring for a high profile hindi movie, where he never was a force to begin with. This is far, far more staying power than msv.

Hulkster
16th November 2009, 08:14 PM
The best part is that Thalaivar wanted to stay away from films but alot of people just keep on looking for him. Paavam retire penna vida maaturaanga. :lol2:

Fliflo
16th November 2009, 09:09 PM
Paa songs are available now here too

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindi_bollywood/s/movie_name.12305

app_engine
16th November 2009, 09:14 PM
ramk1,
Purely as a musical phenomenon, we can compare MSV to IR. That is, in some aspects, with a lot of caveats.

OTOH, as a "music industry" phenomenon or as a "star - icon" phenomenon, MSV is nowhere in the reckoning. Even the little recognition that he gets when people mention MSV-IR-ARR is only because of the powerful status the later two brought to the music composer among artists in the industry. Call it politics, business acumen, non-musical talent - whatever you want, but it's recorded history.

That way, IR's commercial acumen (latest example 'pA') has made sure that he stays much longer than MSV.

In addition, despite the huge international name and fame that ARR has got, it's also a fact that his style of making music makes him less predatory (means he cannot work on music for amman creations and AVM at the same time). For that matter, any composer (or even a group of them) who came to the industry after IR hasn't got the speed and versatlity to make him totally irrelevant.

And, he still continues to surprise , even the worst detractors , with a kaNNil pArvai here and a kunnaththE there :-) And the speed at which his albums got released during 2009 makes one wonder whether the slow pace of the years prior was due to personal / commercial reasons.

If you go to TF section where they discuss about the best movies of the decade or albums of the decade (with not so many IR gang around), there're still nominations - even comparable to most other composers. And both pazhassi rAjA & pA are high profile in their respective fields and still you say he is waning like MSV :confused2:

app_engine
16th November 2009, 09:29 PM
I think his relatively less output in TFM (not exactly less but rather "associating with only insignificant movies" if we properly word it) is by choice.

Many possible reasons for that (all guesses only):

Had a lot of irritations when "big names" deserted him in 90's and didn't want to work with "big names" anymore but hang around with newcomers who adore him.

Or lack of interest to compete where his son is a big name now.

Or having a short fuse when working with younger stars who want him to "do-like" the foreign cd's they have:-)

Or, a policy decision not to work with "highly-paid" heroes even when the producer is Sangili Murugan :-)

Sureshs65
16th November 2009, 09:54 PM
ramk1,

You expecting better output from 'Paa' is your opinion and can be respected for that. But in a year where he has scored for 'Naan Kadavul', 'Baygadevatha', 'Prem Kahani', 'Nandalala', 'Pazhassiraja', you asking him to retire is, no offence meant, a big joke. Maybe had you told that sometime last year, you would have got some supporters but this year has been a terrific one and his experimentation with song structure, interludes, synth etc, is happening big time. It is now that I want him to compose more and more.

And why bring in MSV? Let us leave that great man alone. He has given us so much.

Fliflo
16th November 2009, 10:28 PM
"I am somewhat feeling that, IR has come to a stage when MSV was in his waning period when IR's musical onslaught continued."

Had you told this statement 2 years ago, you could have had some support. While this year majority of his fans are rejoicing with so many different outputs from him, your statement sounds a bit awkward. W.r.t. Paa songs, you definitely find a good portion of rehashed stuff, but with different experimentation in orchestration, they sound still very enjoyable. For rehashing, there must be some underlying reasons. More than IR, it could just be the director's wish to go on similar to the Cheeni Kum venture. Remember that, on any scale the Cheeni Kum songs performed better than Lajja, Shiva and other IR movies wherein he had songs with wonderful new tunes.
:cheer:

app_engine
16th November 2009, 11:51 PM
Jeyamohan has posted in his website about Agilan (of Agi music, Malaysia I think) & given this link :

http://meedpu.blogspot.com/

Both the posts that Jeyamohan referred to (about PR & Hindi music) make interesting reading!

Shankar.P
16th November 2009, 11:57 PM
yov...yaarya athu ramk dubukku...innikku irukkura cut & paste md!ngallaam varushaththukku 3 illa 4 padam panrathukkullayae moochu mutti naakku thalranunga. namma thalaivar summa asalta 7...8 album alli vuttrukkar. ithukku naduvula ramana mani maalai...aiappaa...hidustani...TIS...nu pinni pedaledukkuraar. paa songs nallaa irukku...illa enakku pudikkalannu sollittu po. yaar vaenannathu. atha vuttuttu IR ini film music pannak koodathu..retire aaganumnu olari kotti kilari moodina...appuram nadakkurathae vaera. sachin kanakkaa 40 varushama namakkellam ATM (any time music) meachina uzhaicikkitittirukkaravara paarthu ippadi innoru dhaba ethunachum sonna...neeyellam ethukkuyya intha pakkam othungura? NK, ND, PR, paa songs kaettu...manasellaam baramayi...kannula thanni vuttu thookkam varaama thavichikkittu irukkom. ippa poyi same side goal poda paakkura...vaenam romba unarchivasaththula keeran. appurama vachukkuran

ananth222
17th November 2009, 12:55 AM
Just heard Paa, what a wonderful album!!
Loved "hichki hichki", what a funky youthful song! I don't buy this "southie sound" bs.. can't remember such a funky song in 7/8 in IFM, one of the picks of the album. Don't mind the repeated "mudi mudi" either, they all sound good.
Only disappointment is "halke se bole". I always thought "putham pudhu kaalai" would make a wonderful hindi song in its original form... but was wasted here...
I was also expecting more instrumental tracks , like in CK. Though Big B did a wonderful job in singing 'mere paa'...

Sanjeevi
17th November 2009, 01:37 AM
Only disappointment is "halke se bole". I always thought "putham pudhu kaalai" would make a wonderful hindi song in its original form... but was wasted here...

but at the same time hindiwalas indha alavukkavathu intha tune-i ketka koduthu vachurukkangalE :)

Sanjeevi
17th November 2009, 01:44 AM
Previously I have said my hope about Paa which will top this years (IR) albums. Though I am little disappointed now (mainly because of PPK song usage) I still feel it may climb to top :) over PR. But still we can not compare PR with Paa since they sound like north pole and south pole to me. Interesting thing is both album have come from same brain :D. After first listen, I think Paa is powerful album than CK and it is catchier than PR too.

I could see Ilaiyaraja in AB's voice and yes it is reminding Jakkamma song also especially in singing style.

Raaja is still giving lessons how to compose music crafted with emotion, mood and feel. That is indeed phenomenal. Kangalil thanni varathathuthan kurai. Padathai pArtha athuvum vanthidumnu thonuthu.

K
17th November 2009, 02:42 AM
Paa -"http://sensongs.com/Paa.html"- Appap paa

cry_sandiego
17th November 2009, 03:03 AM
K, thanks. I was about to google for it..

thx
MSK

K
17th November 2009, 03:18 AM
Previously I have said my hope about Paa which will top this years (IR) albums..

Naan Kadavul and Pazasi Raja are in My Top Spot for this year. Reasons- The Quality Of Music,Sound.

app_engine
17th November 2009, 03:45 AM
CK is a superior album, if I compare with pA i.e. without any reservations for/against reworking - may be the strength of Shreya factor and better choice of songs for reworking.

OTOH, the mudhi-mudhi number, which apparently is not a rework, works well in favor of pA :-) Three versions of this on the disc is 3 much , fodder for those waiting to give a critical review, should have limited to 2 :-(

hitchki -hitchki may need to "grow on me", first listen gave a just-ok feel.

AOKK rework is fabulous, gives a very strong theme music!

thumbi vA / putham puthukkAlai reworks are so-so (interesting to see the multi-voice-tech covering up any deficiencies Bhava can showcase:-) )

Good that IR let AB sing the title number and not himself, avoiding another usual complain about his singing. இப்போ என்ன பண்ணுவீங்க? :-)

Overall, meets / exceeds the expectations, as they weren't very high :-) BGM, going by the theme music chosen, will exceed any prior expectations with strong emotional content, IMO!

Marketing methods, general availability factor etc should make sure a decent reach of the music to the public. I'm sure mudhi-mudhi will be loved by all across the country. Should wait and see the response to others.

For me the year's best is PR :-)

I just scanned through the Thamizh tracks briefly and was pleasantly surprised to see KSC doing 'kundRaththu' as well!

And the lyric sounded like simple translation, which is ok and should easily score well in TN!

cry_sandiego
17th November 2009, 04:55 AM
Ok. Started listening to the MP3 version a couple of hours ago..

My first impressions..

#1. Mudi Mudi stands out..in all of the 3 versions.. nothing to say here.. IR excels in all areas.. the song being < 3 mins adds to the beauty making u want more.. Theere is probably a very strong reason for all 3 versions being under 3 mins.. But the way he has differentiated the 3 versions is simply superb.. not sure how Balki has set the visuals for these.. have to see the movie.. I liked the Male version too.

#2. Thumbi Vaa.. All i can say after a couple of listens is ( and this is the first time I am getting this feeling in a IR song ) the percussion backing is ...hmmm.. annoying !!!!! The brief interludes without the percussion backing sounds so nice mainly b'cos the annoyance is gone.. But the Thumbi vaa melody is so powerful that it somehow carries the song thru.. The Jazz touches in the interludes is mesmerizing... I only wish the percussion did not take a front seat in the entire song dimming the overall quality of the song. Plus the recording quality also i am not sure.. ( Hope it is the MP3 or my cheap Dell laptop speakers too )

#3. PPK re-hash: a very short peice ( 1.22 mins !! ).. not sure why again a short number - But again very noisy too me..and nostalgic SJ voice still rings in your mind to carry this peice.

#4. Hichki Hichki -- to me sounds very similar to some tamil/Telugu song and i can't place my finger on it ..

#5. The pathos song Mere paa is excellent.. need to listen more as i am still looped in the Mudi Mudi multiple versions..

cry_sandiego
17th November 2009, 05:00 AM
oh by the way, pre-lude of Gum sum gum has shades of Vikram Meendum Meendum ( Dharmavathy?) 0.18-0.24 - maybe the same instrument - what is it?

Cheers
MSK

cry_sandiego
17th November 2009, 05:16 AM
To me.. Paa cannot even come near Pazhazzi Raja.. Talking of PR.. here is a interesting snippet from the blog ..

http://meedpu.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-post_7419.html

அதோடு வழக்கமாக அவரது பாணியில் இருக்கும் இந்த ஒரு பாடலில் பொதிந்திருக்கும் அத்தனை இசை கூறுகளையும் அனுபவித்தால், அத்தனையும் தனி தனி இசை படிமங்கள் என்பது தெரியவரும். குறைந்தது 10 புதுப்பாடலுக்கான ஆதார மெலோடிகள் இருக்கும் பாடல். இதை இசையமைப்பாளர்களும் சீரியலுக்கு பின்னனி இசையமைப்பவர்களும் நன்றாக உணர்வார்கள். இதை இனம் காண்பதுதான் அவர்களின் வேலை, அவர்களின் தொழில் சார்ந்த தேவை. அவரின் இந்த ஆதார மெலோடிகள் விரைவி கிடக்கும் பாடல்களும் இசையும் அதிகம் நம்மிடையே வளம் வருகிறது. இந்த அம்சங்களையும் தேவைகளையும் உணர்ந்த மேலைநாட்டு கலைஞர்கள் சாம்பிள் எனப்படும் துணுக்கு இசைகளை வெளியிடுகிறார்கள். பெரும்பாலான நமது தமிழ் இசையமைப்பாளர்கள் இத்தகைய இசைகளைதான் இன்று பயன்படுத்துகிறார்கள். இளையராஜா லூபஸ் (Loops) மற்றும் சாம்பிள் (samples) என்ற வியாபர யுக்தி ஏற்கனவே எனது மனதில் ஓடிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் ஒரு விஷயம். இந்த மாதிரியான எனது தொழில் சார்ந்த ரகசியங்கள் என்னையும் மீறி வெளிவந்துவிடக்கூடாது என்பதாலேயே என் இசை அனுபவங்களை எழுதுவதை தவிர்த்தேன்.

----

Ivarukku Deva/Anand Milind enra MDs pathi theriyumo ? Avar perumpaalum ithai thaan seithaar :-)

Cheers

irir123
17th November 2009, 08:18 AM

I am only worried that this shall not attract any negative reaction from IR. :roll:

i have a gut feeling that (just as in the case of Mysskin using a 'narikurava' song in Nandalala without IR's permission), Balki has done this n pissed off IR n hence he has cancelled the audio release

ananth222
17th November 2009, 09:04 AM
i have a gut feeling that (just as in the case of Mysskin using a 'narikurava' song in Nandalala without IR's permission), Balki has done this n pissed off IR n hence he has cancelled the audio releasedon't think it could be that - Balki looks 'smarter' that way than Myskin, and seems to know how to handle IR. Besides, Balki was with IR doing the bgm recording, and thats why the audio release was cancelled, so its not like IR walked out on Balki.

Fliflo
17th November 2009, 09:37 AM
[tscii:339d8d172c]First positive review of Paa in a Hindi Newspaper :cool2:

http://www.sindhtoday.net/news/1/72233.htm

Paa’ offers simple yet delightful music (IANS Music Review)

Film: “Paa”; Music Director: Ilayaraja; Lyricist: Swanand Kirkire; Singers: Shilpa Rao, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shaan and Amitabh Bachchan; Lyricist; Rating: ***

“Paa” is a film with an unusual story and music maestro Ilayaraja has composed tunes that gel well with the movie’s subject. Director R. Balakrishnan’s film stars Amitabh Bachchan as Abhishek’s son Auro, who suffers from progeria that causes premature ageing. It also stars Vidya Balan.

The album begins with “Mudhi mudhi ittefaq se”. Crooned by Shilpa Rao, it has an instant connect. It is melodious but not very long. The song is currently doing the rounds on television channels and has become a hit.

“Mudhi mudhi ittefaq se” has two more versions – “Udhi udhi”, an extension of the original and “Gali mudhi” that has vocals by Shaan. It is slower in pace but equally nice.

Next is “Halke se bol”. It is a children’s song and has a chorus behind the mike. It starts without background music and later musical arrangements are introduced. This too is short in length and is an average number.

Up next is “Hichki hichki”, more of a situational number that doesn’t impress too much. The fast-paced track has been sung by Sunidhi Chauhan.

It is followed by the title track “Mere paa” by Amitabh Bachchan himself. It’s more of a narration in the voice of a child than a proper song. The theme song is very endearing.

Finally there is “Gumm summ gumm” sung by the composer’s daughter Bavatharini with ample support from the chorus. The song has influences of jazz and is a good hear.

On the whole, the album of “Paa” is not conventional and will appeal to music buffs. But most songs will get an edge with the visuals. [/tscii:339d8d172c]

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 09:47 AM
Loved "hichki hichki", what a funky youthful song! I don't buy this "southie sound" bs.. can't remember such a funky song in 7/8 in IFM, one of the picks of the album.

Welcome back Ananth. It has been a long time since we saw you :)

I too don't buy this "southie sound" at all and as you said, "hichki hichki" is a funky song with us not being sure as to how the song will proceed. After a few listens I can now feel that the song is tuned for children. The sudden twists and turns are meant for children !!! To give them that surprise element that will make them happy. The unexpectedness which makes the child jump with joy. All this happens in the tune. As I said in my review of this album, there is currently none who can tune taking all these into consideration. Plum used a nice phrase for this, "narrative integrity". No wonder lot of 'grown ups' don't like this song!!

Special mention must be made about the lyricist as well, who has done a very good job throughout the album.

AravindMano
17th November 2009, 10:12 AM
I dont think it is fair to compare Paa and Pazhassi Raja. We know well before that Paa is gonna have rehashes (OK, we actually thought there would 4 fresh songs, where as there are only 3. I consider Shaan's version of Mudi Mudi as a fresh song indeed. The feel, the charaNams are completely different than Shilpa Rao's version(s).) Hichki Hichki, Mudi Mudi, Udi Udi, the title song all works well big time. I would even say the second version of Mudi Mudi by Shilpa Rao works well. Check out the prelude, it doesnt work actually like prelude, but more like a second interlude, as if to acheive a continuuing effect (the lyrics goes 'phir udi'). Very interestingly done.

And i also think it was a wise decision not to use regulars like Shreya G, Sadhana. Sunitha Rao and Shaan not only do complete justice to their songs, but lend a new flavour to Raja's-Hindi-Songs. (I am not saying thety lift it completely, it's not necessary for Raja's compositions, espescially Mudi Mudi) I would even stick out my head and say that Sunitha's rendition would have been the best, even if any one else tries to sing it. (And I thought it was Saif ali Khan who is singing Udhi Udhi :) ). My only grudge is the way chorus has been used! (In Mudi Mudi, the harmony is cool!)

One more observation is that all pallavi's except Mudi Mudi sound like rhymes, i mean simple sweet & catchy - like how all the pallavi's of 'Anjali' were like. :)

I havent still listened to good quality version yet, waiting to lay my hands on the CD.

fan_ir
17th November 2009, 10:13 AM
Folks,

Look who is in credits. Well the BSO was here too!!....If this is the case, let me tell you, this the first time BSO is used in IFM without the director publicizing it :lol:.

Tanay Gajjar - Sound mixing engineer

M.Prabhakaran & K.Shekher - Sound Recordists

Attila Lazlo, Bela Lattamann & Janos Nagy - Musicians

Suresh Peter - Musician

Shyam Raj - Saxophone

Karthik Raja - Programmer

Purushottam - 2nd Programmer

AravindMano
17th November 2009, 10:15 AM
this the first time BSO is used in IFM without the director publicizing it :lol:.

:lol:

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 10:45 AM
MSK,

Going by the structure of the song, it is possible that 'hichki hichki' reminded you of 'manasu palike mouna raagam' from Sagara Sangaman. The 7/8 nature of both the tunes and the initial way 'hichki' starts can lead you to the Sagara Sangamam tune.

Bala (Karthik)
17th November 2009, 10:59 AM
Loved "hichki hichki", what a funky youthful song! I don't buy this "southie sound" bs.. can't remember such a funky song in 7/8 in IFM, one of the picks of the album.

Welcome back Ananth. It has been a long time since we saw you :)

I too don't buy this "southie sound" at all and as you said, "hichki hichki" is a funky song with us not being sure as to how the song will proceed. After a few listens I can now feel that the song is tuned for children. The sudden twists and turns are meant for children !!! To give them that surprise element that will make them happy. The unexpectedness which makes the child jump with joy. All this happens in the tune. As I said in my review of this album, there is currently none who can tune taking all these into consideration. Plum used a nice phrase for this, "narrative integrity". No wonder lot of 'grown ups' don't like this song!!

Special mention must be made about the lyricist as well, who has done a very good job throughout the album.
Ananth/Suresh,
It does not matter if we buy the southie sound or not, avinga (N.I) eppadi eduthuppaanga-ngaradhu dhaan matter and adhu dhaange kavalaye :(

Bala (Karthik)
17th November 2009, 11:03 AM
sachin kanakkaa 40 varushama namakkellam ATM (any time music) meachina uzhaicikkitittirukkaravara
:clap:

csramasami
17th November 2009, 11:41 AM
Hichki has to be absolutely a situational song and at same time moving the story ahead. :cry:

Think of a mother with a child, like in PAA, who is also a wife suffering in life without her husband..

The child's hiccups (or is that also due to side effects of progeria??) make her sing and playfully solace the child, assuaging him, advising him, at the same time venting out her feelings !

In fact after very first hearing, my heart felt heavy and mind became numb.

The rhythm of song is like hiccups I feel, the bubbling micro-beats are the feelings of the mother which forms the basic of the song. Also the repetitive words are symbolic towards that!

Of course any 7/8 time signature has to be Southie now as IR has made us to hear for last many decades, whereas in north you may not get normally in film song. If the pace has been reduced you could have felt it different.

The 2nd interlude where the signature tune is simultaneously expressed in minor and major scale in Guitar and that also in 7/8 is the MUSICAL LESSONS FOR CENTURIES and worth keeping as a mobile tune to propogate to many. :clap:

Anyway, let the film comes to tell whether I am imagining too much.

csramasami
17th November 2009, 11:55 AM
Next Song

"Meri Jaan Teri Hai Mere PAA,

Ab Meri Maa Teri Hai Mere PAA"

has also to be another highly situational and may be a end song where Auro hands over his mother to PAA (the breathing struggling is vividly expressed by AB) :( :cry:

Again the lyrics show the Auro's child-like comical sense in describing her mother who is outwardly look courageous, but not inwards as a lonely soul, who is outwardly very strict and shaking everybody, but inwardly so sad, calm and sweet etc etc.

Auro requests his father to accept his mother thro this song.

Only Balki can think of such situations and bring it alive.

Again toooo much imagination....????

(I made my daughter ARR-fan felt very emotional after telling like this and now she listens to this song often)

csramasami
17th November 2009, 12:26 PM
Big B Writes today:

And Balki now as he does the finals in Chennai, wishes that I drop by for a day to have a final look at the background and the mix, before it all goes into print. This is the stage when the film according to me is actually made. It is the crucial manner in which one shall bring all to a front that shall determine where the fortunes of the film lie. It is these moments that can lift the film to excellence or at times destroy it beyond repair.

Our fate now lies in the hands of technicians. No labor of make up or performance or writing and execution shall prevail until those committed hands play their cards to perfection.

UnQuote

rooky
17th November 2009, 12:55 PM
This man is amazing as always. I am addicted to this man's music.Long live IR..

krish244
17th November 2009, 02:21 PM

Electric (lead) guitar

Thanks Karthik! Nicely used. Sounds great!

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
17th November 2009, 02:54 PM
Sathyan Anthikad on his 50th movie:

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/malayalam/top-stories/2009/sathyan-fiftieth-movie-161109.html

IR is the MD.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
17th November 2009, 03:13 PM
I am in love with the guitar work in "Gali Mudi" song. I guess the BSO musicians (guitar) must have played it. Check out. I am wondering how it will sound in a theatre. Certainly must be fresh sound. I just wish IR gives more pieces (and longer and more ones) like this in future movies.

I once again salute IR's energy/enthusiasm/passion to present new sounds even at this age. I am inspired.

Thanks,

Krishnan

Sanjeevi
17th November 2009, 03:22 PM
I deleted Gum Sum and Hulke Se Bole songs and enjoying Paa album like anything :). And yes Gali Mudi song is just too good.

raagas
17th November 2009, 03:36 PM
Rediff gives positive music review.

http://movies.rediff.com/review/2009/nov/17/music-review-paa.htm

"Ilaiyaraaja is back in Bollywood with Paa, and he brings with him his distinctive sensibility and flourish. The perfect communion of Carnatic and western music -- notably jazz -- the fat grooves with bold keyboard, guitar and bass lines and a minimalist arrangement, it is a sound we rarely get to hear in this part of the world."

"The music of Paa is artistic and different with the lyrical and musical mastery amply evident."

krish244
17th November 2009, 03:39 PM
Shilpa Rao's recent interview:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/On-a-song/542358/

thanks,

Krishnan

Bala (Karthik)
17th November 2009, 03:39 PM
Rediff gives positive music review.

http://movies.rediff.com/review/2009/nov/17/music-review-paa.htm

"Ilaiyaraaja is back in Bollywood with Paa, and he brings with him his distinctive sensibility and flourish. The perfect communion of Carnatic and western music -- notably jazz -- the fat grooves with bold keyboard, guitar and bass lines and a minimalist arrangement, it is a sound we rarely get to hear in this part of the world."

"The music of Paa is artistic and different with the lyrical and musical mastery amply evident."
And yet they've given only 2.5 stars!

AravindMano
17th November 2009, 03:48 PM
Shilpa Rao's recent interview:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/On-a-song/542358/

thanks,

Krishnan

He made everyone at the studio laugh with his jokes about the Tamil film industry :D

AravindMano
17th November 2009, 03:49 PM
Bala, your signature :lol:

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 04:22 PM
Bala,

Your signature :lol: Unga kaiyezhuthu (Tamil :lol:)

Your are right. Only 2 1/2 stars and a comment about 'heart' after saying the 'Paa' song is very poignant. :confused2:

krish244
17th November 2009, 04:37 PM
And yet they've given only 2.5 stars!

Yes, when I read the review, I felt that the reviewer actually enjoyed many of the nuances of the music, but finally only 2.5 was awarded! I was totally surprised.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
17th November 2009, 04:55 PM
Another very positive review.

http://buzz18.in.com/reviews/music/music-review-paa-is-melodious/169272/0

For all the appreciation, it gets 3/5. I am thinking if the fewer number of tunes (one song repeated two more times) and the length of the tunes are deciding the ratings.

BTW, just a thought. Had IR had done the theme music himself (instead of letting it to be remixed), he would have brought a whole new dimension to it. Look how almost everyone likes all three version of "mudi mudi" song.

thanks,

Krishnan

Plum
17th November 2009, 05:27 PM
Many Hindi film music fans might not be aware that AR Rahman had spent some of his early years with Ilaiyaraaja. That old connection is very evident in the sound of Paa.

idhukku enna artham? :lol:

raagas
17th November 2009, 05:38 PM
:) he probably meant that IR is the source for the sound that was later built further by composers such as ARR.

AravindMano
17th November 2009, 06:57 PM
A blog post (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/11/mudhi-mudhi.html) on Mudi Mudi.

equanimus
17th November 2009, 07:01 PM
Many Hindi film music fans might not be aware that AR Rahman had spent some of his early years with Ilaiyaraaja. That old connection is very evident in the sound of Paa.

idhukku enna artham? :lol:
Silly fellows, I say! (Of course, there's nothing wrong in suggesting that Raaja is inspired by Rahman simply because he's senior to the latter, but EdhO pEsaNumEnnu pEsakkUdAdhu!)

Plum
17th November 2009, 07:47 PM
Equa, Raja getting inspired by Rahman is ok.

But I guess Raja being Rahman's senior or
Rahman working with Raja in the 80's has got nothing to do with that.

As you said, this is some Edho pEsaNumEnu pEsaradhu.

Aalavanthan
17th November 2009, 07:55 PM
IR is not as famous as ARR in the Bolly. Its a fact, you cant deny it (pls. dont read like Indu from Thillu Mullu :) )

Thats probably the reason that the editor has mentioned ARR's name to raise the stack on IR and consequently for the movie Paa.

While NDTV and other news channels were interviewing Kamal during his 50 yrs of cinema, the constant question was "how was ur chemistry with Sri Devi" .. The last released tamil movie of SriDevi was ..... ( I dont know, leave apart the one with A.Swamy).. I think thats the way the news channels work !

equanimus
17th November 2009, 08:01 PM
Plum,
That was an ill-formed sentence. I meant to say, just because Raaja is the senior, it doesn't mean that one cannot suggest that he is inspired by Rahman in some of his works. (Of course, you got that, but clarifying it for the record.)

By the way, 'Paa' innum kEkkala. (pOyittE irukkEn kadaikku...)

Plum
17th November 2009, 08:03 PM
AV, it is ok to say ARR worked for IR. Fact. That serves the purpose to introduce IR to North Indies audience.
To stretch that and say IR's sound being Rahmanian(sic) can be attributed to that is fiction.

I dont think Rahman composed or contributed to composition when he was with Raja. He was just a player and both Raja and Rahman have said this. This is where what equa says takes effect.

equanimus
17th November 2009, 08:04 PM
While NDTV and other news channels were interviewing Kamal during his 50 yrs of cinema, the constant question was "how was ur chemistry with Sri Devi" .. The last released tamil movie of SriDevi was ..... ( I dont know, leave apart the one with A.Swamy).. I think thats the way the news channels work !
Most annoying. One thing I just fail to understand is this: won't they ever tire of asking the same questions? In most cases, I know the questions as well as the answers by heart!

Aalavanthan
17th November 2009, 08:10 PM
--edited-- solra maadhiri edhuvum illae indha postla :)

Aalavanthan
17th November 2009, 08:11 PM
Pls. ignore my last post.

Ippa thaan andha link-a padichaen.. Buggers have mentioned this in the very next line..

There is a dominant Rahmansque tone to the first track Udhi Udhi.

IR-ians kovam nyaayamaanadhu ! :evil:

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 08:32 PM
I don't have a problem if Raja is inspired by Rahman but where do they find similarity where none exists!!! I mean the only similarities we all saw in 'Mudi Mudi' was to Raja's earlier work like 'Ninukori'. The only place where there is a definite Rahman character in the soundtrack is the vocal chorus on the 'Paa' theme remix. As soon as I heard it I said it sounds very Rahmanish. It so happens the remix is not by Raja.

Nowadays it is a fashion to show off that you are a 'medhavi' by writing some technical terms or making such stupid comments.

Fliflo
17th November 2009, 08:34 PM
Ada udungappa..Romba chinna pillathanama irukku unga pirachinai. :yakyak:

Namma Paata Keppom..

Shankar.P
17th November 2009, 08:42 PM
kurudargal ellaam saernthu yaanaiyai thadavip paarththu, ovvoru baagamum ippadi irukku appadi irukkunnu sonna kathaithaan enakku njaabakaththukku varuthu. paa paadalgalai kannai moodi rasicha, nenju neranju/negiznthu/ vizhiyoram lesa kanneer ettip paarkkarathu mattumae intha kurudanoda anubavam.

Hulkster
17th November 2009, 09:05 PM
Looks like great responses that are sure to keep some sections of disappointed IR fans happy :D

I personally think gum sum is the best version out of all the versions. It is very hard to imagine such a song with a very thumping rhythm. Thalaivar has certainly experimented here as we usually expect him to "stick" to the standards with such tunes keeping the melody intact ,but my word :notworthy:

I enjoyed all the songs but not Mere paa that much as the singing was too situational but the interludes kept the pace there.

Fliflo
17th November 2009, 09:32 PM
Just felt a thread sized similarity between "Mere Paa" and the old german Rhyme "Mein Hut der hat Drei Ecke". The song is played in violin at a little faster pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbQ11FUYeOM&feature=related

Fliflo
17th November 2009, 09:34 PM
Slower version is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSUHJ_xkMD0&feature=related

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know which instruments the BSO members play? Who is playing the piano / keyboards here? Is it Viji Manuel or one of the BSO members? Any idea?

kj
17th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Attila Lazlo Guitar
Bela Lattamann Bass
Janos Nagy - Piano/Keys
Suresh Peter-Drums

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks kj. All of them have done a wonderful job. So lets hear it for them :clap:

kj
17th November 2009, 09:49 PM
I dont think they are BSO members. They seem to be musicians popular in Hungarian Jazz circles whom somehow IR got to know in some of his numerous trips to Hungary. Purely guessing.

raagas
17th November 2009, 09:51 PM
i heard many times, that Suresh Peters is a drummer of some fine calibre.Unfortunately, post 90s, he is known more as a singer, to the general public.but i read somewhere that he was an instrumentalist.

Bala (Karthik)
17th November 2009, 09:54 PM
i heard many times, that Suresh Peters is a drummer of some fine calibre.Unfortunately, post 90s, he is known more as a singer, to the general public.but i read somewhere that he was an instrumentalist.
Yes, i've seen him perform live when i was in college. He was part of a band with Keith Peters. I guess both of them were with Rahman in Nemesis Avenue...

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 09:55 PM
When you suddenly wake up in darkness and as your eyes slowly adjust to the darkness, you start seeing things slowly. That is what is happening to me with the music of 'Paa'. Every time I listen, new things emerge !!! Got a good quality download today and have started listening to the songs. So much music is hidden!! I am slowly veering towards the view that this is a fantastic album, all rehashes notwithstanding.

kj
17th November 2009, 09:58 PM
I cannot find even an iota of semblance between those tunes and Paa theme.

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 10:10 PM
'Unexpectedness'. If there is one word that I can use to characterize this album, this will be the word. Nowhere in the whole album do you get what you expect !! Raja has ensured he has got money's worth from the Hungarians!! nalla vella vangi irunkar :D I am now more than convinced that each song is a new one, even if the tune existed earlier :D

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 10:13 PM
Check out the charanam of 'hichki hichki' song. When the second line of the charanam comes on a tune which is totally tangential to the main melody starts playing and then plays continuous on its own and then merges beautifully when the charanam ends. The whole song is worth listening for this part alone. So many delights strewn around in this song. And then the ending. Why do suddenly tablas come in? That is what I meant by unexpectedness in this album.

Fliflo
17th November 2009, 10:19 PM
kj,

point taken. I am not talking about the theme music though. Listening to the "Mere Pa" song here is where my ears felt the thread similarity. see how the lines split

Drei Hut // Der Hat // Drei Ecke - 1st line in german

Mere Chaa // Tere Hai // Mere Pa - 1st line in Hindi

I don't get :evil: if you say I am wrong. Thanks for pointing out though :think:

app_engine
17th November 2009, 10:20 PM
[tscii:a0bc32d3ac]Need to check out hichki once again. Like you Sureshs65, one of the reviewers in this blog finds this song interesting :

http://www.dailylatestnews.com/2009/11/15/paa-music-review-and-movie-preview-01674

What happens when hiccups sound musical?
‘Hichki Hichki’(Hichki in hindi-hiccup) is a composition analysis of which would take pages.
This song, according to me is the piece de resistance (though other songs are also great).
Based on Keeravani, it follows the 7-beat Misram and is sung with consummate ease by Sunidhi Chauhan(wonder how many takes she took!In any case, it is not an easy song to sing).

Laya Raja and Raga Raja are in full flow here.

Laya Raja:One hears the normal ‘ta ki ta ta ka dhi mi’ in bass guitar along with the vocals.But what happens after that is a marvel and is possible only by the Maestro.
Misram is played in the fast pace (mel kaalam) and we hear 3, 6, 6 and 6-21beats in the percussion during the brief pause.

Raga Raja:In the second interlude, the theme music is played first in Keeravani(minor scale) and then in Shankarabharanam(major scale).Sheer magic!
The use of alien notes (sound like vivadi to me, have to listen more) and the sound of ‘hiccups’ carry the Raaja stamp!

I am unable to get out of the musical ‘hiccups’.

[/tscii:a0bc32d3ac]

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the link app_eng. I was trying to follow the rhythm pattern and was not able to do it given my limited knowledge on rhythm. This gentleman's comment gives me an idea of what is being played though I still cannot follow it and deconstruct it :(

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 10:42 PM
... and in 'gum sum gum' the swell of the violins which come towards the end is exquisite.

Saagar
17th November 2009, 10:55 PM
The lone film Vicky Goswami , (Theme music remix version) seems to have worked for is the background music for Tere Naam - The Hindi remake of Sethu.

irir123
17th November 2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Paa-Album-179726-1.html

app_engine
18th November 2009, 12:17 AM
Hulkster,

As it stands today, you may need to edit the title of the thread to remove 2010 :-)

Raja has done enough work in 2009 and this thread will possibly cross 100 pages necessitating another thread before the arrival of 2010, if not in a day or two :-)

app_engine
18th November 2009, 12:21 AM
I was wondering why the BGM is being done in Chennai :? Either the standards have gone up in Chennai or the producers are so kanjoos. I remember Raja going to Mumbai for his big projects of yesteryears even if they were TF. Now, this is a bolly film and the BGM work is "outsourced" to Chennai studios
:idontgetit:

krish244
18th November 2009, 12:53 AM
One more +ve review:

http://www.radioandmusic.com/content/reviews/film-music-reviews/paa

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
18th November 2009, 12:59 AM
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/11/14/music-review-paa-hindi-ilayaraja/

Per inetk, Balki used 'puththam puthukkAlai' earlier also, for Kissan ad.

Interesting :-)

app_engine
18th November 2009, 01:04 AM
One more +ve review:

thanks,

Krishnan

I don't know what connection this reviewer finds with ARR and pA's music :?

Also, he jumps back to Sadma as another work of IR, conveniently forgetting the more recent CK. I think some 'room pOttu...' has happened in the process :-)

Sanjeevi
18th November 2009, 01:07 AM
Hulkster,

As it stands today, you may need to edit the title of the thread to remove 2010 :-)

Raja has done enough work in 2009 and this thread will possibly cross 100 pages necessitating another thread before the arrival of 2010, if not in a day or two :-)

I was about to post :lol:

Sanjeevi
18th November 2009, 01:12 AM
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/11/14/music-review-paa-hindi-ilayaraja/

Per inetk, Balki used 'puththam puthukkAlai' earlier also, for Kissan ad.

Interesting :-)

search Raja here

http://itwofs.com/advt.html

Sanjeevi
18th November 2009, 01:16 AM
[tscii:d4e39be357]
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Paa-Album-179726-1.html

This comment is interesting

I had heard abt Ilayaraja but hav’nt got him more other than Cheeni Kum.But I think the mind bogling Violin usage amazed me and now Im searching for the composer. Though the whole album might not appeal many but I tell u Ilayaraja hit the heart stright away Mere paa is situational song but the Violin notes made my heart laughing it is so good thumbs up
You wrote it very well as well
Cheers [/tscii:d4e39be357]

This is what Balki expects (to promote IR to NI or world) and he is somewhat achieving it :D

Fliflo
18th November 2009, 01:38 AM
One more review.

http://www.starboxoffice.com/movie/musicreview.aspx?bid=2011/November/reviews_20111105_1

His is a mellow outpouring, like collecting rain water in a glass bottle, and dancing euphorically around it, till it fills up your senses.

fan_ir
18th November 2009, 02:20 AM
Folks,

I've brought the background stuff to the fore. OMG!! Look at the variations painted in background of Hichki Hichki, Just loving it.Let the analyzes continue.

Mudhi Mudhi Ittefaq Se
http://www.mediafire.com/?whmdzumy3mu

Udhi Udhi Iteffaq Se
http://www.mediafire.com/?ecmzgy2homr

Hichki Hichki
http://www.mediafire.com/?mdzzynzzmkw

Enjoy

vem
18th November 2009, 04:12 AM
GUM GUM GUM -> What a song - have been hearing this gem for the past 1 year repeatedly..... How many versions this song may have, this one should be the best since Bavatharini has sung this incredibly well.

Others are also just fabulous. My only time pass is these songs and the seductive one Ambom Kombum from PR !!!

IR, this is a treat for all of us !

raagas
18th November 2009, 04:28 AM
Folks,

I've brought the background stuff to the fore. OMG!! Look at the variations painted in background of Hichki Hichki, Just loving it.Let the analyzes continue.

Mudhi Mudhi Ittefaq Se
http://www.mediafire.com/?whmdzumy3mu

Udhi Udhi Iteffaq Se
http://www.mediafire.com/?ecmzgy2homr

Hichki Hichki
http://www.mediafire.com/?mdzzynzzmkw

Enjoy

thanks a lot. i have opened another thread in this hub, voiceless tracks, specifically for your rips. that thread is here: http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13261 you need to post more of such stuff there. please.i already requested Chenduli chenduli and few others. infact songs like "Unnai Patril sonnal" would sound great. or songs from Pazhassi Raja. please try.

kiru
18th November 2009, 07:36 AM
Aren't you guys p...ed that these songs are too short ?
Anyways, IR has succeeded in creating an authentic "classic rock" style arrangement including the sound ..ie. the songs sound like some of the us/english music in my collection. He has used these techniques (for eg. the electric/lead guitar, not to mention the bassline and drums). before but they sounded differenct and was mixed in with some indian style instruments/usages as well.
It looks like some young upcoming but talented MD who is from a rock band has done the songs. But I guess, there is lot more musically going on in these which rookie MDs cannot imagine. Damn..why can't these big guys give us a whole bottle ..instead of the half and quarter !!!

Bala (Karthik)
18th November 2009, 08:21 AM
One more +ve review:

thanks,

Krishnan

I don't know what connection this reviewer finds with ARR and pA's music :?

I'm reasonably sure that its just floating from the other review which mentioned the same thing, Rahman's influence in Mudi Mudi, reminiscense of Roja :shock: , etc etc
This can be expected to be carried over in other reviews. North Indies have this tendency to repeat the same questions ad nauseum.. aren't they f-in bored? :banghead:

For e.g they ALWAYS ask Kamal
"Aren't you going to enter politics?"
"Rajninikanth"
"Sridevi"
"Sarika"

Kosutholla thaangala naarayanana :curse:

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 09:26 AM
Also, he jumps back to Sadma as another work of IR, conveniently forgetting the more recent CK. I think some 'room pOttu...' has happened in the process :-)

:lol: Look like many have a room already booked and in standby mode!!

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 09:41 AM
kiru,

What you observe is very true, especially for the 'Gali Mudi' song of Shaan. It is a perfect rock ballad. From the starting guitar piece, to the guitar interlude, the swoop of the violins, the drumming, all these are trademark rock ballad stuff. The tune is probably not given the twist and turns but the change in the mood is consistent with a rock ballad.

I would say that this is the only song which goes on 'expected' lines to some extent. The orchestration in all other songs is quite unexpected and amazing.

BTW kiru, it is quarter which is most intoxicating :lol: if you go by the constant request for it in Tamil films.

fan_ir
18th November 2009, 09:45 AM
thanks a lot. i have opened another thread in this hub, voiceless tracks, specifically for your rips. that thread is here: http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13261 you need to post more of such stuff there. please.i already requested Chenduli chenduli and few others. infact songs like "Unnai Patril sonnal" would sound great. or songs from Pazhassi Raja. please try.

Thanks for the thread, Yeah I do remember it!. I posted here to keep the expertise discussion going and expecting in depth analysis.

Punnaimaran
18th November 2009, 10:53 AM
When I hear the Hichki song, I'm reminded of the song "Manasu Mayangum" from Sippikkul Muthu. Is there any similarity between the tunes? Knowledgeable persons please enlighten.

Bala (Karthik)
18th November 2009, 11:08 AM
I don't see any similarity other than the sandhams (syllables) "ma-na-su ma-yan-gum" and "hi-ch(u)-ki hi-ch(u)-ki" matching

rajasaranam
18th November 2009, 11:22 AM
When I hear the Hichki song, I'm reminded of the song "Manasu Mayangum" from Sippikkul Muthu. Is there any similarity between the tunes? Knowledgeable persons please enlighten.

Me too thinks There are few similarities in the tune structure :)

rajasaranam
18th November 2009, 11:27 AM
I don't see any similarity other than the sandhams (syllables) "ma-na-su ma-yan-gum" and "hi-ch(u)-ki hi-ch(u)-ki" matching

Listen to charanam's and the way they are structured to loop back to the pallavi..Very Similar! Obviously the similarities are only here and there, like sprinkled & garnished by the Chef Maestro :)

Bala (Karthik)
18th November 2009, 11:32 AM

Listen to charanam's and the way they are structured to loop back to the pallavi..Very Similar! Obviously the similarities are only here and there, like sprinkled & garnished by the Chef Maestro :)
Maybe i haven't listened to the song enough! :)

Punnaimaran
18th November 2009, 11:35 AM
Thank you RS and Bala for your clarifications.

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 12:19 PM
fan_ir,

Lovely stuff from you. Appreciate your effort to do this.

My first impression on listening to 'Mudi Mudi' background is the same as I felt when I listened to 'Sringara Bangara' which you posted earlier. I personally feel 'Sringara Bangara' was as fresh as 'Mudi Mudi'. The only difference is that 'Sringara' had a more clear structure in its charanam. Shreya did a great job in 'Sringara' and Shilpa does a good job in 'Mudi Mudi'. We can see that we could have interchanged them and both the songs would still sound lovely !!!

There is so much happening in the background of this song. You get to hear the bass much better now. The 'na na' voice in the background is delicious. The drumming is superb. Towards the end of the charanam something like a synth violin makes a fleeting appearance.

And 'Udi Udi' is just wow. The keyboards drive this song excellently and the interlude is a major source of joy. I guess 'Udi Udi' is more closer in spirit to 'Sringara' due to both of them being keyboard driven.

In 'hichki hichki' I can clearly hear the melody played by the keyboard from the middle of the charanam onwards. It seems to be playing something quite tangential to the main melody but ends up blending up wonderfully into the melody. And the background beats when 'hichki hichki' happens in the charanam seem to indicate hiccups.

Great job, fan_ir.

crvenky
18th November 2009, 01:08 PM
Jaganmohini - title & end song (2 versions) not in the audio and some BGMs are here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/308643750/Jagan_Mohini.rar.html

Friends, this allows only 10 downloads. If anybody has a RS account, please transfer there.

kiru
18th November 2009, 01:45 PM
kiru,

What you observe is very true, especially for the 'Gali Mudi' song of Shaan. It is a perfect rock ballad. From the starting guitar piece, to the guitar interlude, the swoop of the violins, the drumming, all these are trademark rock ballad stuff. The tune is probably not given the twist and turns but the change in the mood is consistent with a rock ballad.

I would say that this is the only song which goes on 'expected' lines to some extent. The orchestration in all other songs is quite unexpected and amazing.

BTW kiru, it is quarter which is most intoxicating :lol: if you go by the constant request for it in Tamil films.

Suresh..exactly the song I am referring to. but I thought the strings were a little sophisticated for a std rock ballad. If the same song were from Elton John..it would have been a billboard top 10..
(btw, Shreya has been singing "Very" indian style music..I think IR went for a slightly more "casual" sounding voice for these rock kinda songs).

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks to fan_ir giving us the almost voiceless tracks, I can now see / hear this new style of orchestration of Raja. I find very similar orchestration in 'pacha meni' (kannukulle), 'ilavayasu' (madhiya chennai), 'unnai patri sonnal' (madhiya chennai).

fan_ir
18th November 2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks to fan_ir giving us the almost voiceless tracks, I can now see / hear this new style of orchestration of Raja. I find very similar orchestration in 'pacha meni' (kannukulle), 'ilavayasu' (madhiya chennai), 'unnai patri sonnal' (madhiya chennai).

Cheers Suresh. I guess his orchestration is same as ever which can also be observed in "Puthathu Poovu". Its the layers which are added to make it irresistible feeling :D . Doing orchestration with live instruments is talent but with synth, its should be walk in a park for him. Later I'll post a early 90's song which would make you feel "Nothing has changed".

irir123
18th November 2009, 07:11 PM
Jaganmohini - title & end song (2 versions) not in the audio and some BGMs are here:

Friends, this allows only 10 downloads. If anybody has a RS account, please transfer there.

RS link pls ?

Shankar.P
18th November 2009, 07:12 PM
one more sweet surprise...

visit

http://www.twinkletwinklelittlestar2009.com/

raagas
18th November 2009, 07:19 PM

RS link pls ?

it can be uploaded in mediafire. Someone please do it or share it with me so that i can do that.

raagas
18th November 2009, 07:35 PM
while we are at Paa, here is rediff's review on Madhiya Chennai: http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/nov/16/south-tamil-music-review-mathiya-chennai.htm

Unnai Patri Sonnal, sung by Rita, is a pleasant number, romantic, without great aspirations to brilliance. Its mildness is a point in its favour but it doesn't really go beyond that. If you're a fan of the maestro's classic style, then this one has appeal. In fact, that's something that's valid for the whole album -- in many ways, its trademark Ilayaraja of olden times, minus the musical feats that some of his classic usually contain. Perhaps that might be a direct result of the project itself; this collection works best if you're a diehard fan.

Fliflo
18th November 2009, 08:20 PM

visit

One more to his 2009 list. Another JM type movie. Any idea?
:cool2:

irir123
18th November 2009, 08:21 PM

visit

Back Ground Music: Budapest Symphony, Hungary with Ilayaraja

manidar pattaiya kelappuraar!

app_engine
18th November 2009, 08:49 PM
+ve but hilarious review :

http://www.apunkachoice.com/content/article/sid1074-paa__music_review/

எப்படிப்பா 'தும்பி வா'வுக்கும் 'குச்சி குச்சி ராக்கம்மா'வுக்கும் இவுங்க கனெக்ஷன் போடுறாங்க :lol:

Shankar.P
18th November 2009, 09:59 PM
TTLS completed in late 2005 itself. Due to some financial & legal tangles, it has been delayed so far. u may notice that Kangal Irandal fame deepa also sung in this album.

Shankar.P
18th November 2009, 10:09 PM
Man Hin Mera - by Deepa Miriam sounds nice. one song in the tamil version got corrupted. So that only 6 nos placed in it. These are samples only.

cry_sandiego
18th November 2009, 10:18 PM
Quote from R.Balki on AB's role in Paa..
" Paa is a tribute to possibly the greatest actor that Indian Cinema has ever produced and an example of how an actor can undo the very things that have made him an icon and still do something iconic "

After the initial resistance/frustration to the domineering drums in Gum Sum Gum, i have grown to liking it and when i finally succumbed to it, after discovering a few surprises in the song, felt that the above quote can somewhat apply to IR as well - He turned his own melody centric Thumbee vaa in a totally different angle but yet maintained the impact... I used to like the SJ's Solo lines .." Pandathe paatinninde varigal sundathil then thuliyai.." so much that nothing can beat it.. but now, i am thinking the chorus ." Hum mein do sanjaya kaise.."

Also, the Shaan version is growing much faster on me than the Shilpa version of Mudhi Mudhi..

Lets see

Cheers
MSK

krish244
18th November 2009, 10:24 PM

visit

One more to his 2009 list. Another JM type movie. Any idea?
:cool2:

This movie was supposed to release long back. Song samples are available in the site. Singers are not properly credited. The tunes does not gel that well for Hindi. I liked (even now I like) "Salasalakkum kaatre", especially from this movie. Anyway, BGM must be of great quality. In the trailers, it says "Ilaiyaraaja's musical fantasy (coming soon)".

thanks,

Krishnan

cry_sandiego
18th November 2009, 10:26 PM
By the way, I have heard people say that Thumbee Vaa is the best Malayalam song EVER !! - It might very well be, but it is in my all time best 25 songs list and the best Mal melody i have ever heard.

Kunnathe in PR is being raved by JM as one of the all time best MFM songs..

Cheers
MSK

baroque
18th November 2009, 10:55 PM
manathe thamara.... TTLS.. Ilayaraaja rehashed aasaiya kaathula thoodhuvittu.

manathe thamra....M.G.Sreekumar, Jyotsna.
ethetho janmathin idanaazhiyil.... chithra solo :musicsmile:

Ilayaraaja was obsessed with aasaiya kaathula.... tune around 2004-2005, he was rehashing in Ponmudi puzhayorathu & TTLC

vinatha.

app_engine
18th November 2009, 11:01 PM
Another pA review

http://passionforcinema.com/paa-music-review/

One comment from here led to this link that catalogs all the versions of thumbi vA (updated with the latest version)

http://www.musicquencher.com/blog/2009/08/25/multiple-versions-of-a-single-tune/

Shankar.P
18th November 2009, 11:02 PM
Engengo pogindra en paadalae by KJY rocks

baroque
18th November 2009, 11:17 PM
yeah..
there is a ethetho janmathin idanaazhiyil......Yesudas version too.
My folks sent me only the malayalam cd.
Tamil available is it?
I ask them to send me.
I am revisiting some awesome movies. :redjump:
this week Adaptation & உதிரிப்பூக்கள் . :)
this day a great day!
vinatha. :)

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 11:24 PM
MSK,

You wrote what I wanted to write and you wrote it better. Even I have now succumbed to the continuous rhythm in 'gum sum' song and when I keep it running in the background in my sound system, I can clearly see that this song is a _new_ song and not 'thumbi vaa' rehashed. The whole feel has been changed completely.

Me too loving Shaan's version. BTW, almost all reviews say this is the best song Shaan has sung till now. I cannot comment since I do not know what all he has sung till now :)

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 11:32 PM
app_eng,

Read the review in the link you posted. Seemed quite sensible. The only thing I don't understand is the concept of simplicity. I find lot of complex stuff in these compositions happening in the background, especially when I hear the almost voiceless version that fan_ir posted. And in these reviews and blogs we find people saying the music is simple!!!

Maybe that is Raja's major fault. Making it sound so simple. He has been doing that all the while!!

Sanjeevi
18th November 2009, 11:35 PM
If music alone can make a movie go places, then Paa is a definite candidate for success.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-articles/movies-08/paa-ilayaraja-balki-18-11-09.html

... surprisingly this comes from behindwoods :)

NormalMan
18th November 2009, 11:41 PM
Paa theme ringtone amongst the top-10 downloaded....

http://www.zedge.net/ringtones/2638/blackberry-rim-curve-8900-ringtones/0-6-1/

csramasami
18th November 2009, 11:48 PM
[tscii:501c4f5549]Amithji's overwhelming words on IR

Quote:

The great Ilaiyaraja, pristine in white and just off from Balaji at Tirupati, conducts me at Prasad Studios for the song from PAA. I did it once when he was not around. I did it today when he was around. The world seemed different. The quality improved. The reason for his hand gestures as he conducted the rhythms poetic and his demeanor and expressions synonymous with the flow of the notes he had composed in his private room just behind and beyond the studio.

His eyes wild and bright. His language measured and pointed. His reason behind every note definite and pure and his decision final on the output. The master, the maestro, the magician the ‘little Raja’.

I am struck with emotion. It works its way up the belly through to the chest and heart and waits to explode into the eye lids. And I return back to the Hotel and I believe that I will wait till the morrow for the senses to dissolve before I can go any further …

Good night, my dears ..

I shall return before the morrow is over ..

Unquote[/tscii:501c4f5549]

Fliflo
18th November 2009, 11:59 PM
[tscii:3330388c30]His eyes wild and bright. His language measured and pointed. His reason behind every note definite and pure and his decision final on the output. The master, the maestro, the magician the ‘little Raja’.

That's the Punch. :yes: [/tscii:3330388c30]

app_engine
19th November 2009, 01:07 AM
app_eng,
The only thing I don't understand is the concept of simplicity.

Me neither.

Looks like one reviewer made a "simple yet..." kind of statement which is flashed across a number of websites / blogs / news reports and that possibly plays in the minds of listeners, who typically judge even before giving a serious listen to the tracks :-)

Well, often I'm also a victim to reading statements like this and approach the song with some prejudice :-)

Another reason could be listening to certain not-so-great-quality samples on the web and /or on a poor PC based sound system that brings up only the singers' voices and the lead instrument of the ludes, in addition to whatever max it can showcase on the rhythm part. (Actually there're some nice arrangements even in chorus voices in some of these songs)

That is a big injustice to composers who throw in a number of parts. A general public can hear and make unqualified statements based on such music systems but reviewers for mags / websites etc should always listen to the CD in a decent music system before writing theirs. I'm not sure whether they'll call it "simple" if they do so.

May be the "simple" comment is for the melody alone (most of which are indeed that way in this album, in line with IR's long term philosophy - especially the pallavi part). These songs are no 'aganthaiyil AdukindRa AraNangE' kind :-)

ananth222
19th November 2009, 01:19 AM
app_eng,
The only thing I don't understand is the concept of simplicity. Using IR's own metaphor, maybe he decided that if everyone wants popcorn, he'll serve a popcorn buffet with a variety popcorn dishes laced with healthy ingredients and exquisite flavorings... and the listeners are like "it's popcorn! and I love it!" without realizing the sweetness of the ingredients... hopefully they will learn after a few meals!

btw, I remember this quote by Laszlo Kovacs on TiS: "It is a simple music... I mean it is very advanced musically, but it is simple to listen and enjoy"

jaiganes
19th November 2009, 01:22 AM

எப்படிப்பா 'தும்பி வா'வுக்கும் 'குச்சி குச்சி ராக்கம்மா'வுக்கும் இவுங்க கனெக்ஷன் போடுறாங்க :lol:

but hichaki hichaki kkum nee siricha deewana kai pudicha from bombaykkum - oru situational connection irukku.
Couple love - slowly leading to a child (underscored by the appearance of theme music played in guitar) a similar situation was explored/ partially covered in Bombay through nee siricha song..

vel
19th November 2009, 10:19 AM

Rendumae kaapi raagam...but the poor reviewer saw it as copy raagam !

fan_ir
19th November 2009, 10:27 AM
Mudhi Mudhi - Bass Lines
http://www.mediafire.com/?dmymzdufnjt

Though they are not the actual bass lines but would indicate how well they are placed.

raagas
19th November 2009, 11:19 AM

Rendumae kaapi raagam...but the poor reviewer say it as copy raagam !
:) good one!

krish244
19th November 2009, 11:24 AM
[tscii:f76d933620]Amitabh talks about PAA and technicians. Its a short one though:

http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/movies/article51078.ece

"“An exquisite trio” – this is how Bachchan describes the team of director Balki-cinematographer P.C. Sreeram and Illayaraja with which he has worked again for Paa, after his much acclaimed Cheeni Kum. With evident fondness, he speaks of his colleagues on the project. “Balki always tries something different. His style of making films is away from the recognised format. His writing is exceptional. P.C…what can one say! He is the guru in cinematography. Illayaraja, another genius! It’s fortunate that they are all working on this film.”"

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:f76d933620]

krish244
19th November 2009, 11:29 AM
[tscii:aa2a410cfc]News (which amitabh already published in his blog) about Amitabh recording. Has more information. It seems, the recording at Mumbai did not go well.

http://www.kolkatamirror.com/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=97&contentid=2009111920091119102736406a23375a4&sectxslt=

"It was meant to be a proxy recording.Amitabh Bachchan had recorded the title song of Paa in the juvenile voice of his 12-year-old character Auro at Aadesh Shrivastava’s studio two weeks ago.

The track has been composed by music maestro Ilaiyaraaja, who had sent across the track from Chennai.

While Amitabh privately regretted the fact that he couldn’t record in the presence of Ilaiyaaraja, the actor’s wish was fulfilled last evening. Director Balki and Amitabh realised that they’d have to re-record the entire song because the recording in Mumbai went kaput.

Last night Balki, who was in Chennai, laughed and said, “I guess someone up there was listening. Our recording in Mumbai of Amitji’s number suffered a leakage in the headphone. The song had to be re-done all over again. So here we are in Chennai. We’ve just recorded the title number again, this time with Amitji and Ilaiyaraaja face to face.”

Ilaiyaaraja
Amitabh Bachchan rendered the number perfectly prompting the Chennai-based music maverick to wonder how a 67-year-old man could sing the number in a 12-year old’s voice so perfectly.

Balki and Bachchan wanted to keep the very special recording a secret and reveal the coming together of the two stalwarts at a later time."

Don't know if IR would have added more layers to the new recording.

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:aa2a410cfc]

Punnaimaran
19th November 2009, 11:58 AM
[tscii:892e9e2b17] Our recording in Mumbai of Amitji’s number suffered a leakage in the headphone.

:? What does that mean? I do not know anything technical about music. Anyone please help me.[/tscii:892e9e2b17]

Plum
19th November 2009, 12:00 PM
I think IR/Balki may not have been happy with the output recorded by Aadesh. I think adhai thAn decent-A technical terms pOttu cover paNdRangannu ninaikkarEn...maybe even Amitji(see how my viLippu of this man's name has changed from Pachan to amitji ;-) ) wanted it to come from the horse's stable itself!

AravindMano
19th November 2009, 12:03 PM
I think IR/Balki may not have been happy with the output recorded by Aadesh. I think adhai thAn decent-A technical terms pOttu cover paNdRangannu ninaikkarEn...maybe even Amitji(see how my viLippu of this man's name has changed from Pachan to amitji ;-) ) wanted it to come from the horse's stable itself!

AravindMano
19th November 2009, 12:05 PM
Aaktually, enakkum avar mela oru respett vandhuduchchu. Yen nu therle :lol:

crvenky
19th November 2009, 12:25 PM
Good review of Pazhassi Raja:
http://www.tamilhindu.com/2009/11/pazhasi-raja-film-review/

Punnaimaran
19th November 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks plum.

rajasaranam
19th November 2009, 02:04 PM

RS link pls ?

RS link Illa, RS kitta thaan Link irukku :lol:

Inthaanga Link http://www.mediafire.com/?nm5nwm1nwyg

MumbaiRamki
19th November 2009, 02:08 PM
Some reviews

http://happysing.com/2009/11/paa-music-review/

http://www.apunkachoice.com/titles/paa/paa/mid_29954/reviews-music/

http://www.masala.com/16533-paa-music-review

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=32633

http://alltimetv.com/news/paa-offers-simple-yet-delightful-music-music-review/

Plum
19th November 2009, 02:08 PM
RS link Illa, RS kitta thaan Link irukku
Link-nA, RS link dhAn, besh, besh, romba nannA irukku :-)

Sanjeevi
19th November 2009, 02:15 PM
One more

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/musicreview/11771.html

rajasaranam
19th November 2009, 02:40 PM
This is the First Time Raaja is being promoted in North like never Before. Shrewd fanboy Balki! :D

krish244
19th November 2009, 03:25 PM
PAA to premier on 3rd Dec. Aamir and Shahrukh, among big names, to attend.

http://www.sawfnews.com/Bollywood/61238.aspx

"3 Dec is the premiere of PAA in mumbai at the IMAX wadala. on the red carpet, whoever has the biggest homemade sign/poster of Paa gets to come into the premiere with me and watch the film!!! remember you better be dressed for the red carpet.".

Wonder how the sound quality at IMAX will be. I think it should be good.

thanks,

Krishnan

Bala (Karthik)
19th November 2009, 03:43 PM
I watched Virumaandi at IMAX and the sound was good

krish244
19th November 2009, 04:20 PM
[tscii:25cadf97f9]Amitabh, being in Chennai for post production work (and singing title song again) is making news:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/51823.html

"On Ilayaraja: “I considered him a genius. He knows anything and everything about music. I am fortunate to work in his musical score after Chenni Kum.”"

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/news.php?newscatid=1&newsid=1660

"With Amitabh Bachchan on vocals as a thirteen-year-old, Ilaiyaraaja deserves all praise for getting the music just right to fit Big B’s voice.

“Yes I was in his divine presence for just a few moments,” said Amitabh Bachchan when asked on his recording with the legendary Ilaiyaraaja."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:25cadf97f9]

krish244
19th November 2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks Karthik! Good to know that.

Krishnan

Bala (Karthik)
19th November 2009, 04:31 PM
This is the First Time Raaja is being promoted in North like never Before. Shrewd fanboy Balki! :D
[I thought i posted a reply to this. Not to be seen!]

Balki'd better not kathiri pottufy this time :twisted:
And i wish this time around the film/Balki demand a 'grand' score unlike Cheeni Kum, which demanded a minimalistic and unobtrusive score. Ippo, reach, recognition is of paramount importance to us :mrgreen:

Plum
19th November 2009, 04:37 PM
Bala, I think scissors will work again.
I expect mudi mudi to be not even in the movie. Other versions possibly in part.

Hitchki Hitchki might make it fully. Gum Sum is the one I am wondering - will it be handlet the same way as "cheeni kum hai"?

Dont expect too much on having the songs in the movie.

Bala (Karthik)
19th November 2009, 05:05 PM
Mere Pa in loop :notworthy:

Plum
19th November 2009, 05:13 PM
I dont feel an emotional connect with Paa, as much as I had with, say, a Bhagya devata or Pazhassi Raja. The emotions that Aadi Ushas, aalamadangala and kunnathE stir. With Paa, it is the intellect tht is reacting. That is not a very IR-ish experience for me. Even Cheeni Kum gave an emotional connect - something somewhere is missing in Paa for me.

krish244
19th November 2009, 05:14 PM
IR was present for PR's tamil audio release:

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/nov-09-03/pazhassiraja-sarathkumar-ilayaraja-19-11-09.html

"Speaking at the function Ilayaraja said that the story of a film is the real super star and not the actors that have a prefix Super Star and Supreme Star. He also shared his experiences while working for Pazhassiraja. The veteran music director said that he composed the music for a sequence which will show the people living as refugees in their own homeland and it was great experience to bring out the feel the director wanted."

thanks,

Krishnan

Plum
19th November 2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, Pazhassi Raja must have been a great experience for him. Great canvas. Watch out for BGM in
1) The destruction of Panamarakotta
2) The surge of tribal support for Pazhassi Raja outside the peace-talks chamber in the fort - when one of the naive British officers realises that he cannot go ahead and arrestt Pazhassi there as he naively suggested to his superior thinking that the few lieutenants in the room are all Pazhassi brought for the talks. The scene pans outside, and Raja runs riot as the conks, the horns and the improvised flutes and violins of the tribals surge to show what support Pazhassi has in the immediate vicinity

Sureshs65
19th November 2009, 05:34 PM
Plum,

Maybe it is the Mohana ragam present in 'Mudi Mudi' that gives it an emotional connect for me. Especially the Shilpa number. The Shaan number is quite good as well. 'gum sum gum' is slowly and steadily climbing up :) Overall a nice album. Will take some more time to see how this impacts me.

I too am not sure which songs will make it past the scissors!! 'Mudi Mudi' is bound to be there as it is the most promoted song and people will look forward to it. I think two versions will make it. One Shilpa and one Shaan. My guess is all songs including 'Meri Paa' will be one charanam long. Meaning we will miss the second interludes in all these songs. Maybe we should start betting :D

Sureshs65
19th November 2009, 05:37 PM
Bala (K),

I am sure the score is going to be an intimate one and not a grand one. Most probably minimalist in nature. That is my guess. 'Chenni Kum' score was superb but as you say it somehow did not reach out for the awards. A pity.

Sureshs65
19th November 2009, 06:06 PM
My wife listened to the 'gum sum gum' tune asked me, 'why is he retuning that classic. I don't like the classics being retuned.' After a few seconds of silence she said, "Maybe I am very possessive about these classics. That is why I don't want them retuned." I guess that is probably the reason why many don't want the classics touched. We are very possessive about them.

Incidentally my wife loves "Cheeni Kum", (all songs which were her fav in Tamil as well) :lol:

app_engine
19th November 2009, 06:36 PM
Some reviews

http://www.masala.com/16533-paa-music-review

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=32633

http://alltimetv.com/news/paa-offers-simple-yet-delightful-music-music-review/

All three are copies of the same review (by IANS) and probably published by 100's of other sites (the one that goes like "simple yet...")

raagas
19th November 2009, 06:42 PM
My wife listened to the 'gum sum gum' tune asked me, 'why is he retuning that classic. I don't like the classics being retuned.' After a few seconds of silence she said, "Maybe I am very possessive about these classics. That is why I don't want them retuned." I guess that is probably the reason why many don't want the classics touched. We are very possessive about them.

It is not just that.but just the plain fact that reworking of a classic doesnt transform into a classic most of the times (only exception being Saara Yeh Aalam from Shiva 2006).
And what exactly makes us be in awe of a composer? What exactly makes us feel that a certain composer is great? It is the hardwork, perceived by us.If some composer gives just a normal song,we dont feel he is great.If he composes something thats stimulating to us (in the context of our tastes),if he does something that is out of our reach, we elevate him.I believe that when one recycles the tunes, the amount of hardwork involved is very less,because it all boils down to only arrangements (because arrangements are new) and not composition (because basic tune is same).Due to that, there is certain level of dilution in the degree of hardwork invested by the composer.The composer might still win our hearts,but coming up with extraordinary orchestration.Saara Yeh Aalam had exactly that.In my opinion, Saara Ye Aalam overtook Aanandharaagam.

In Gumsum, i felt that, a lot has been synthesized, while the original had lot of orchestral splendour.Like i said, Mood in Kapi was the best version, in terms of purity of musical content. While Gumsum had interesting interludes, the absence of Bass-line and simple percussion is felt very much.To use Raaja's own language, the original was a wonderful simple meal, cooked with vegetables grown in our own courtyard.Gumsum is garnished popcorn, that too made from instant popcorn packets, sold at Rs.50 at a multiplex.

irir123
19th November 2009, 07:05 PM
[tscii:2d31ed8f74]Amitabh, being in Chennai for post production work (and singing title song again) is making news:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/51823.html

"On Ilayaraja: “I considered him a genius. He knows anything and everything about music. I am fortunate to work in his musical score after Chenni Kum.”"

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/news.php?newscatid=1&newsid=1660

"With Amitabh Bachchan on vocals as a thirteen-year-old, Ilaiyaraaja deserves all praise for getting the music just right to fit Big B’s voice.

“Yes I was in his divine presence for just a few moments,” said Amitabh Bachchan when asked on his recording with the legendary Ilaiyaraaja."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:2d31ed8f74]

idhellaam konjam over - true, IR is a genius and AB already blew away everyone with his simplicity during DASA release - but 'divine' presence ?? tats not very professional IMO

Fliflo
19th November 2009, 07:46 PM
[tscii:0e2a022669]One more review :thumbsup:

Paa’s Music: Creative nuances that touch soulfully -

http://www.totalfilmy.com/feature/20091119/paa_s_music_creative_nuances_touches_soulfully-28277.html[/tscii:0e2a022669]

app_engine
19th November 2009, 07:56 PM
Digression

While many of us discuss feverishly about why / why not IR reuses his classics, look at this review :

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/12/16/music-review-circus-kannada-emil/

There are any number of next gen MDs who without any lajjai keep using IR classics as if these were already nationalised as "podhu udamai' :-)

End-digression

app_engine
19th November 2009, 08:05 PM
IR was present for PR's tamil audio release:
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/nov-09-03/pazhassiraja-sarathkumar-ilayaraja-19-11-09.html

From this link :

Speaking at the function Ilayaraja said that the story of a film is the real super star and not the actors that have a prefix Super Star and Supreme Star.

சரத் குமார் நொந்து போயிருப்பாரு. இதுக்குத்தான் ஜாக்கிரதையா அமிதாப் மாதிரி ஆடியோ ரிலீஸ் விழாவே இல்லாம தப்பிச்சுக்கணும் - இல்லாட்டி ராசா வராமப்பாத்துக்கணும் ('அவர் வேலையில் சிரத்தையா இருப்பதால் வர முடியவில்லை'ன்னு சொன்னா என்ன கோவிச்சுக்கவா போறாரு).

Plum
19th November 2009, 08:49 PM
Huh?
Baatein Hawa had some wonderful orchestration even compared to Kuzhaloodhum.
The covent garden interlude, with, whats the technical term for this, some jamming between multiple instruments to match on-screen visuals - I am not a weld music expert but pora pokkula pala forms-ai thottuttu pOna interlude adhu. I wouldnt be surprised if people come and talk about reggae, jazz and rock influences there.
It is a classic in comparison to Kuzhaloodhum.

Even the other songs iN CK standup well with the originals

app_engine
19th November 2009, 09:25 PM
Plum, from an old post :
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12979&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Ofcourse, overall, this song is many many grades lower than the original without any doubt. However, Raja made sure that at least for few seconds of the song he'll throw something incredible to impress the listeners - and that's the hair raising flute piece in the first interlude. WOW, what a grand piece it turned out to be - every time raising goose bumps even in a "die-hard-kuzhaloodhum-lover" like me:-)

app_engine
19th November 2009, 09:40 PM
Do they re-record a song after commercially releasing the CD? That too, complaining about technical snag? :?

Whom are they kidding? I guess there are some other things happening behind the scenes (during BGM / finishing phase) which will never be known to the public.

I only wonder whether any of IR's "supposed eccentricities" are showing up again :-(

app_engine
19th November 2009, 09:46 PM
எங்கேப்பா Hulkster, இழை டைட்டிலை மாத்துங்கப்பா :-)

யாராச்சும் "IR's New Albums 2009-2010"-ன்னு தொடங்குங்கோ, 100 பக்கம் ஆச்சு!

Bala (Karthik)
19th November 2009, 10:31 PM
Please title la 'Ilaiyaraaja' nu veinga, instead of IR :notworthy:

ananth222
19th November 2009, 10:44 PM
Do they re-record a song after commercially releasing the CD? That too, complaining about technical snag? :?

Whom are they kidding? I guess there are some other things happening behind the scenes (during BGM / finishing phase) which will never be known to the public.

I only wonder whether any of IR's "supposed eccentricities" are showing up again :-(
It may be a marketing gimmick... they already lost some of the "dhamaka" by releasing AB pics with makeup and the much anticipated AB singing in childs voice. so some more masala to create anticipation and buzz... maybe Balki at work

krish244
19th November 2009, 11:32 PM
WOW! IR attended the premiere of PR (tamil):

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life/parties/chennai/A-royal-affair-in-Chennai/articleshow/5248129.cms

Don't know what prompted him to attend. Maybe he was really curious to know how the movie has come out (and also check out the sound quality?). When was the last time we heard that IR attended a premiere?

thanks,

Krishnan

cry_sandiego
20th November 2009, 07:21 AM
Suresh,

Yes. Gum Sum has definitely grown on me much more the last few days..

After a few days of continuous Paa, I am back at PR - listening to Odathannil.. Very nice melody.. But the problem with this album is once i listen to Adhiushe or Kunnathe, i cannot go back to any other song. Trying to get past that addiction. and hope to discover Odathannil a little more..

Cheers
MSK

kiru
20th November 2009, 07:36 AM
To me Adhi ushas gives me a sense of awe. it is like watching a spectacle.I get the same feeling I had when I watched Star Wars in a "video parlor" as a teenager completely impressed with the sci-fi special effects. kunnathe or melodies like seem to affect the heart more than the brain directly.
I listened to all the versions of thumbi vaa but almost all of them were drums/table+bassline only in a TV convert I heard the strings based version..maybe gum sum is the first song where the strings based format was implemented ?
(Plum or raagas or somebody was saying Paa does not connect emotionally for them. I am guessing maybe because these songs are too "westernized" ..except for the tune. We are all used to seeing a "Rajaish" twist to any genre IR works on but in Paa it seems to have been given a "clean" image ..just like say, Rahman's jazz song ?)

rooky
20th November 2009, 07:56 AM
New Thread..

http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1967216#1967216