PDA

View Full Version : Sindhanai Selvar Dr.Kamal HaasaR - favourite movies,scenes 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Vivasaayi
16th February 2010, 07:40 AM
மணிவண்ணன் : மாமி படி ஏறினாலும் நல்லாருக்கு, எறங்கினாலும் நல்லாருக்கு. முன்னழுகும் நல்லாருக்கு பின்னழகும் நல்லாருக்கு. வீட்டுக்கே ஒரு கலை வந்துருச்சிடா முதலி. க்ரவுண்டு விலை ஏறிடும் போலிருக்கே!

Manivannan as mudhaliyar is :lol:

Avvai shanmugi should get the award for "best Casting" among kamals movies - manivannan,delhi ganesh,gemini,nasser.

venkkiram
16th February 2010, 09:05 AM
Avvai shanmugi should get the award for "best Casting" among kamals movies - manivannan,delhi ganesh,gemini,nasser.

:exactly: Thats the prime factor I personally considered AS is the best among other kamal's comdey films. படம் ஆரம்பித்த முதல் கடைசி வரை, படம் பார்ப்பவர்களின் கவனத்தை ஒட்டு மொத்தமாக ஈர்த்தது.

you missed our Nagesh in the list!

கமலிடம் உங்கள் நடிப்பிற்கு "தேசிய விருது" என தெரிவித்த போது, அவர் "அவ்வை சண்முகிக்காக" என்றே மனதில் நினைத்தாராம். அப்புறம் தான் "அது இந்தியனுக்கு கிடைத்தது" எனத் தெரிந்து கொண்டாராம். இது கமலே ஒரு பேட்டியில் சொன்னதாக ஞாபகம்.

Movie Cop
16th February 2010, 09:57 AM
கமலிடம் உங்கள் நடிப்பிற்கு "தேசிய விருது" என தெரிவித்த போது, அவர் "அவ்வை சண்முகிக்காக" என்றே மனதில் நினைத்தாராம். அப்புறம் தான் "அது இந்தியனுக்கு கிடைத்தது" எனத் தெரிந்து கொண்டாராம். இது கமலே ஒரு பேட்டியில் சொன்னதாக ஞாபகம்.Interesting trivia. Kamal as "Avvai Shanmughi" was a sheer class act. :thumbsup: Right from accent to body language to comedy timing, Chance-E illai. :notworthy:

Besides AS, neraiya padangal National award worthy, IMO. 16V, Saagara Sangamam, Pushpak, Guna etc. etc.

Aalavanthan
16th February 2010, 03:41 PM
Mumbai Xpress (underrated till date !)

naan thani aaL illai :thumbsup: ... Most of the sitcoms are successful due to the laugh track for every dialogue delivered.. There might have been a bit of fear amongst the producers that such comedies will go underrated and unnoticed. Maybe thats the reason .. right from Mind your language until the recent sitcoms, the producers keep using the laugh track.

adhE madhiri.. I definitely thought if Kamal had introduced this "track" in this movie, it would have earned the respect that it deserves.. udanae, we will have people saying "avanga solli thaan naanga sirikanumaa" .. well there are some jokes even now, that you need someone else to explain.. The logic is simple, whenever I go for a hindi movie without subtitles, the audience is the laugh track for me, I laugh whenever they do ...

littlemaster1982
16th February 2010, 03:46 PM
Another MX fan here :thumbsup: I was laughing my behind off for most of the scenes. Kamal as Avinasi is :rotfl2:

P_R
16th February 2010, 03:47 PM
whenever I go for a hindi movie without subtitles, the audience is the laugh track for me, I laugh whenever they do ...

GM : sooperappu....indha kadhaiyila idhu dhaan oru tarning pOyiNdu...

Aalavanthan
16th February 2010, 03:58 PM
whenever I go for a hindi movie without subtitles, the audience is the laugh track for me, I laugh whenever they do ...

GM : sooperappu....indha kadhaiyila idhu dhaan oru tarning pOyiNdu...

english vArthaiku kuril nedil vEra :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
16th February 2010, 04:25 PM
Another MX fan here :thumbsup: I was laughing my behind off for most of the scenes. Kamal as Avinasi is :rotfl2:
Ramesh Aravind entry ku apparam padam engeyo pogappodhu nu nenachen.... Second half-layum some moments were there but there was no 'rug to tie' the film up.....

kid-glove
16th February 2010, 04:28 PM

One of his best roles, substantial answer to all those who ask for least amount of self-consciousness in acting. Especially to do that in a film calling for farcical twists, is notable.

Bala (Karthik)
16th February 2010, 04:33 PM

One of his best roles, substantial answer to all those who ask for least amount of self-consciousness in acting. Especially to do that in a film calling for farcical twists, is notable.
Also, like sammandham annan and Sakthivel Kavundar, a very endearing character

kid-glove
16th February 2010, 04:34 PM
The only big problem I see with the film is the tonal change in the gaudy denouement, apart from which, I thoroughly enjoy watching it.

littlemaster1982
16th February 2010, 04:35 PM
Ramesh Aravind entry ku apparam padam engeyo pogappodhu nu nenachen.... Second half-layum some moments were there but there was no 'rug to tie' the film up.....

I felt Ramesh Aravind was the weakest link in the film. Another thing that brought the film down is Kamal-Manisha relationship. Could have been handled better.

littlemaster1982
16th February 2010, 04:37 PM

Also, like sammandham annan and Sakthivel Kavundar, a very endearing character

:exactly: Avinasi is his best role after Virumaandi :yes:

Aalavanthan
16th February 2010, 04:53 PM
The only big problem I see with the film is the tonal change in the gaudy denouement, apart from which, I thoroughly enjoy watching it.
:huh: Press F1

P_R
16th February 2010, 05:05 PM
:huh: Press F1 அதாவது tonal change தெளிவா புரிஞ்சிருச்சு 'ன்றீங்க.

Aalavanthan
16th February 2010, 05:08 PM
Momento madhiri.. kadaisilirundhu varuvOm

kid-glove
16th February 2010, 05:10 PM
The conclusion was set up with exuberant carnival tone, felt out-of-place to the relative laid-back style until that point, which it managed to achieve in spite of farcical twists.

P_R
16th February 2010, 05:16 PM
Ah yeah I remember now. That was not the most important praavlum. As B(K) put it: the conspicous absence of a rug was felt.

kid-glove
16th February 2010, 05:28 PM
The rug was peed over, and made out a farce. All while presenting it in a jazzy laid-back style.

P_R
16th February 2010, 05:33 PM
The rug was peed over, and made out a farce. All while presenting it in a jazzy laid-back style.
அது ஒரு கருத்து

equanimus
16th February 2010, 05:34 PM
:rotfl:

littlemaster1982
16th February 2010, 05:38 PM
அது ஒரு கருத்து

Idhu endha padatthula varudhu :?

equanimus
16th February 2010, 06:11 PM
Look (http://twitter.com/complicateur/status/9046047369) at (http://twitter.com/complicateur/status/9046293214) me. (http://twitter.com/dagalti/status/9047022281)

kid-glove
16th February 2010, 06:23 PM
What is it about? Twitter websense'd.

equanimus
16th February 2010, 06:38 PM
perusA oNNum illai, kg. PR is quoting Kamal from the Guna cassette conversation. His response to the discussion over the title of the film. :)

kid-glove
16th February 2010, 06:42 PM
And I suppose that was in dismissal of Santhana bharathi's suggestion?! :lol: :twisted: (Feeyaar)

NOV
16th February 2010, 08:31 PM
Another MX fan here :thumbsup: I was laughing my behind off for most of the scenes. Kamal as Avinasi is :rotfl2:Figures.
Boy, you need some fun in life :poke:

HonestRaj
16th February 2010, 08:34 PM
Another MX fan here :thumbsup: I was laughing my behind off for most of the scenes. Kamal as Avinasi is :rotfl2:Figures.

release time'la theaterla parthenunga..

1st half nallathan irundhadhu.. 2nd half esp. train scenes ellam :oops:

adhukkapuram andha padatha parthadhe illai

littlemaster1982
16th February 2010, 08:37 PM

OK, will watch Goa tomorrow :poke:

HonestRaj
16th February 2010, 08:39 PM

OK, will watch Goa tomorrow :poke:

don't forget to see

POI .. as a bonus

NOV
16th February 2010, 08:40 PM
Boy, you need some fun in life :poke:OK, will watch Goa tomorrow :poke:Dont bother.
I'll come for your wedding :yessir:

tamizharasan
17th February 2010, 12:57 AM

Nov, this is too bad you don't even appreciate the fact that some of the hubbers enjoyed the movie MX and had a good laugh.

NOV
17th February 2010, 06:50 AM
tamizharasan, sorry. its a private joke between us. ;)

Bala (Karthik)
17th February 2010, 11:34 AM
perusA oNNum illai, kg. PR is quoting Kamal from the Guna cassette conversation. His response to the discussion over the title of the film. :)
:rotfl2: What exactly did SB say?

Plum
17th February 2010, 11:42 AM
enakku therinju what SB says in that conversation is "amam" mostly
Sample:
Kamal: "Abirami"-nu vekkalAmnu irukkOm pEru
SB: romba nalla pEruNNE...etc etc
IR: illa kamal, hero pEru vechA dhAn edupadum. Gunaa-nu vekkalAmE
SB:AmAm, correctu, Gunaa-nu vekkalAm
(Not verbatim)
Kamal apdi oru check vekkara aLavukku enna solli iruppAr? :thinking:

P_R
17th February 2010, 11:47 AM
k-g :oops: that was meant in the most enticing way. That was uber funny and I was waiting to use it, neenga kuRukka vandhu maattuneenga, avvaLo dhaan :lol2:

P_R
17th February 2010, 11:50 AM
B(K), Flau(m) the line is something like this

SB: அபிரமி...நல்ல பேரு...லேடீஸுக்கு புடிக்கும்
Kamal: அது....ஒரு கருத்து

:lol:

Bala (Karthik)
17th February 2010, 11:52 AM
:rotfl3:

1. Padikkumbodhe ippadi sirippu varudhe, appo ketta/paatha eppadi irukkum!
2. A virtual lifetime of this? :shock: Or maybe private-a irundha baed wards vandhirukkumo, recorded-naala irundhadhunaala ippadi pesiruppaaro? :lol:

P_R
17th February 2010, 12:33 PM
:rotfl3:

1. Padikkumbodhe ippadi sirippu varudhe, appo ketta/paatha eppadi irukkum!

Look (http://twitter.com/complicateur/status/9046047369)

Bala (Karthik)
17th February 2010, 12:48 PM
:ty:

kid-glove
17th February 2010, 02:21 PM
k-g :oops: that was meant in the most enticing way. That was uber funny and I was waiting to use it, neenga kuRukka vandhu maattuneenga, avvaLo dhaan :lol2:no problem. :) Clever thing to use.

equanimus
17th February 2010, 02:22 PM
It reminds me of the Dude's line now! (Though the tone in which it is said is different, etc.)

P_R
17th February 2010, 02:56 PM
It reminds me of the Dude's line now! (Though the tone in which it is said is different, etc.)

annikkE naan nenchchEn.....(nnns hencefoth)

kid-glove
17th February 2010, 03:24 PM
The
rug was
peed over, and
made out a farce. All while presenting it in a jazzy
laid-back style.

The Dude resides everywhere.

Bala (Karthik)
17th February 2010, 03:40 PM
:exactly:

Aalavanthan
17th February 2010, 07:06 PM
B(K), Flau(m) the line is something like this

SB: அபிரமி...நல்ல பேரு...லேடீஸுக்கு புடிக்கும்
Kamal: அது....ஒரு கருத்து

:lol: I missed it when I heard it first.. Kamal hesitantly says .. adhu .. oru karuthu not to agitate SB.. the fact is SB was never given a chance to speak after this statement ".லேடீஸுக்கு புடிக்கும்"

P_R
17th February 2010, 07:17 PM
Actually SB really asks for it by also adding 'deiveegamAna pEru' :lol:

Ki.VeeramaNi kitta kumbAbisEga tonEsan kEkkura maadhiri

groucho070
8th March 2010, 11:43 AM
Saval on SunTV.

What could have been a horrible movie, saved by Kamal alone. He had YGM as comedic sidekick, and yet he was funnier. I know, it's not news :roll:

Plus, I shared this with Joe, I noticed that Kamal's lines alone was different, they were very witty, very funny. It didn't match with others dialogues at all. Strong sense of having ad libbed and improvised.

Manorama's fight scene :banghead:

All in all, enjoyable because of Kamal. MSV did hack job, one good song - Theriyum Theriyum.

Plum
8th March 2010, 12:20 PM
Theriyum Theriyum
With some weird tishkyoon sounds:
...kaikkoodum tishkyoon
...kai serum tishkyoon
uravu toin varavu toin neeyE selvam.

groucho070
8th March 2010, 12:22 PM
:lol: It was popular among the bollywoods at that time.

groucho070
8th March 2010, 12:26 PM
By the way....would this be first time Kamal sang for MSV? Not a great song anyway.

Vivasaayi
8th March 2010, 05:30 PM
watched nala dhamayanthi climax

idhukku perthan MASS..
IDHUKKU PERTHAN mass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGrwoxxZ6vc

Aalavanthan
8th March 2010, 06:47 PM
Stranded on the streets 8-)

raghavendran
8th March 2010, 07:24 PM
watched nala dhamayanthi climax

idhukku perthan MASS..
IDHUKKU PERTHAN mass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGrwoxxZ6vc
ya....virumaandi(appo sandiyar)....chance e ille

HonestRaj
8th March 2010, 07:42 PM
watched most of VIRUMANDI yeysterday... jail kalavaram :thumbsup:

aruvaala kambu suththura maadhiri suththi suththi veesuradhu :notworthy:

Aalavanthan
9th March 2010, 05:55 PM
மாட அடக்கிப்புட்டேன் மனச இல்ல
மாடு போல் மனசிது தவிக்குது

மாட்ட நீ தொட்டதுப்போல் மனசத் தொடு
மனசு தான் கைப்பட துடிக்குது

நீ வளத்த விசயமெல்லாம் என்னிடத்தில் அடங்கும்
சீர் கொடுத்தா வாங்கிக் கொள்ள இன்னும் என்ன தயக்கம்

பல பேரு பல பேச என் பேர நீ சொல்லு மானே
தெற்கு மலத் தேனே

What excites me about this song.. Kamal's manly voice ? IR's native beats ?? the chorus which keeps ringing in our heads until the song gets completed ??? IR's chorus of violins ????IR's bee like humming in the interludes ?????

Answer: All of the above !

Bala (Karthik)
22nd March 2010, 05:18 PM
Nayagan on Sun TV

Thalaivan pinraane :smokesmirk: :notworthy:

P_R
22nd March 2010, 05:26 PM
Nayagan on Sun TV

Work phraam home-A ? :-)

Bala (Karthik)
22nd March 2010, 05:33 PM
Nayagan on Sun TV

Training kudukka vendiyirunchu, adhaye from home pannitten :razz:

Father-daughter conflict arumai. Maniyan :thumbsup:

Cinefan
22nd March 2010, 05:39 PM
Nayagan on Sun TV

Training kudukka vendiyirunchu, adhaye from home pannitten :razz:

Father-daughter conflict arumai. Maniyan :thumbsup:

Lucky fellow.

P_R
22nd March 2010, 05:42 PM
Redefining dissance learning-A :D

Bala (Karthik)
22nd March 2010, 05:46 PM
I am hard work-nga. "Muppadhu rooba kudutha moonu naal kanmuzhichu vela paappen" :twisted:

P_R
22nd March 2010, 05:50 PM
I am hard work-nga. "Muppadhu rooba kudutha moonu naal kanmuzhichu vela paappen" :twisted:
Actually I yam also. veetula irukkumbOdhu workday remba stretch aagum. veLiyila irundhu paakkuravangaLukku idhu puriyuradhu illai. Aana stereotype-ai reinforce paNra kiNdaLgaLum paNNuvOm

raghavendran
22nd March 2010, 05:54 PM
Nayagan on Sun TV

bets pa....enne nadippu...sirappu...innoruthanlam porandhu varamudiyadhu...i loved janakaraj's performance also...the scene where janakaraj calls kamal"velu velu" after calling him nayakare...wen kamal calls commissioner...chance e ille...super scene...heights of frndship shown without any dramatic dialouges...MANIRATHNAM :notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: :thumbsup:

Vivasaayi
28th March 2010, 12:47 PM
janakaraj being overwhelmed when kamal ties the knot with saranya was :).

avven
28th March 2010, 01:02 PM
watched most of VIRUMANDI yeysterday... jail kalavaram :thumbsup:

aruvaala kambu suththura maadhiri suththi suththi veesuradhu :notworthy:

:exactly: antha scene na paarkum pothu namakei poi yaraiyavathu vettanum pola irukum ...enna oru scene :notworthy:

rangan_08
25th May 2010, 06:53 PM
[tscii:0714a60205]Cheenu, by nature is a soft spoken, decent and to an extent a bashful young man. When he comes to know that Natraj has mis-behaved with Viji, he just loses his temper and gets wild. He beats Natraj black and blue and people have a tough time to control him. Somehow, the crowd manages to take Natraj away from his clutches. But, Cheenu is still in a rage and shouts violently looking at Nat’s direction and clenches his fist to vent his anger. Terrific scene and splendid performance :clap: .

Now, for people like me, it is very disappointing as we miss that vintage Kamal after he got himself entwined in the “ Ulaga Nayagan” tag. The only respite is that he has not transformed into a 100% commercial actor ( which he will never do ) and, frequently treats us with performances filled with his usual traits.

One such brilliant performance in recent times is from the famous panchayat scene in Virumandi which is quite similar to the scene from Moodram Pirai mentioned above as far as expressing the outrage is concerned (howling and clenching the fist).

When Kondal Rasu accuses Kothalan of going on to the extent of even giving away his wife to grab an opportunity, Viruman and his pugnacious group lose temper and immediately a fight breaks out. Now the crowd intervenes and try to pacify the violent groups before anything serious happens. Viruman still continues to shout violently and to vent his anger he puches a pumpkin vigorously and rips it open. Once again, terrific scene and great performance :thumbsup: .

Appatha’s death scene is another treat. Starting from “ appatha ezhundhuru, illaina thoppaila oodhiduven…” which gradually blends into a song, it’s a fantastic take-off in performance :2thumbsup: .
[/tscii:0714a60205]

Movie Cop
27th May 2010, 01:01 AM
[tscii:1b3124b0da]
Now, for people like me, it is very disappointing as we miss that vintage Kamal after he got himself entwined in the “ Ulaga Nayagan” tag. The only respite is that he has not transformed into a 100% commercial actor ( which he will never do ) and, frequently treats us with performances filled with his usual traits.
Not sure what do you mean here? :confused2:

I'm sure below is NOT the context you are referring. But since you mentioned about the "UN" tag, I will hijack your post as an "excuse" to convey few points regarding the "UN" pattam. :)

* KH is not a big fan of "UN" title or any other title in general. He has made it very clear that he would be happy if someone calls him Kamal. It's the fans who give him titles.

* UN title was conferred by KSR in "Thenali". Since then in the movies, it has been used only twice in other KSR movies (5 Tricks & 10A). It's the fans/rasigar mandrams who use the UN title liberally.

* In all non-KSR movies you wouldn't see UN title in the credits. Infact in Kamal directed or produced movies (Hey Ram, Virumandi, MX, UPO) etc you would not even see the "Padmashree" title during credits. Even GVM's VV didn't had any title for KH in the credits.[/tscii:1b3124b0da]

rangan_08
29th May 2010, 06:36 PM
I'm sure below is NOT the context you are referring. But since you mentioned about the "UN" tag, I will hijack your post as an "excuse" to convey few points regarding the "UN" pattam. :)

* KH is not a big fan of "UN" title or any other title in general. He has made it very clear that he would be happy if someone calls him Kamal. It's the fans who give him titles.

* UN title was conferred by KSR in "Thenali". Since then in the movies, it has been used only twice in other KSR movies (5 Tricks & 10A). It's the fans/rasigar mandrams who use the UN title liberally.

* In all non-KSR movies you wouldn't see UN title in the credits. Infact in Kamal directed or produced movies (Hey Ram, Virumandi, MX, UPO) etc you would not even see the "Padmashree" title during credits. Even GVM's VV didn't had any title for KH in the credits.[/tscii]

There you are, perfect on target :) . And, that's what I meant by saying in " he got himself entwined " ( without his consent or liking ). And that's why he continues to treat us with his signature performances, story, direction etc., which obviously is his passion & life.

ajithfederer
3rd June 2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqeojs7S0qI&feature=related

Kallai mattum Kandal - Dasavatharam

Barring the stick for excessive makeup in the film, it had a lot of good Moments. Especially this song. PR wrote an great insight that when Kamal cries in front of the statue regarding his helplessness in saving the statue he refferred it as "Yaarukkaaga yaar azhugiradhunne theriala".

:clap:

venkkiram
3rd June 2010, 09:08 PM

Barring the stick for excessive makeup in the film, it had a lot of good Moments. Especially this song. PR wrote an great insight that when Kamal cries in front of the statue regarding his helplessness in saving the statue he refferred it as "Yaarukkaaga yaar azhugiradhunne theriala".

Ajith, Can you locate me that page? thanks.

ajithfederer
3rd June 2010, 09:10 PM
Aaha :oops: :)

It should be in one of those "Dasavatharam - Part 1 - 10 "threads. Let me search.

ajithfederer
3rd June 2010, 09:15 PM
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/archives/Tamil_Films/t10742_Kalaikkadavul_Kamal_HaasaR_s_Viswarubam_Das avathar.html

I am so sorry venkiram, Part 3 kku appuram edhayumae archive pannala pola or that i am not able to find the thread. AFAIK, PR, Nerd and Kannann wrote good reviews about the film. Good in the sense not praising but in evaluating the film.

tamizharasan
3rd June 2010, 09:43 PM
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/archives/Tamil_Films/t10742_Kalaikkadavul_Kamal_HaasaR_s_Viswarubam_Das avathar.html

I am so sorry venkiram, Part 3 kku appuram edhayumae archive pannala pola or that i am not able to find the thread. AFAIK, PR, Nerd and Kannann wrote good reviews about the film. Good in the sense not praising but in evaluating the film.

Try this link

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/archives/Tamil_Films/t11613_Padmashree_s_Dasavatharam___Part_7.html

ajithfederer
3rd June 2010, 09:47 PM
Yes this should be it. The start date of the thread coincides with the release date of the film. Venki you should search this thread for reviews at that time. Jesus its already 2 years :shock: :lol:

Try this link

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/archives/Tamil_Films/t11613_Padmashree_s_Dasavatharam___Part_7.html

Parthyy
4th June 2010, 10:58 AM
include kuruthi punal in poll.one of the best though not successfull

littlemaster1982
4th June 2010, 02:15 PM

PR's review

The right mindset is essential to enjoy this film.
I went to the film with pretty low expectations. Kamal had served sufficient warnings that this was an "entertainer": which is a potent euphemism.
I remember the French New Wave googly that he delivered with MX so I was completely prepared to be satisfied with any good parts that may show up.And show up they did.

What was impressive rightaway was the camera- CG aided or not the way it moves across a huge span flying across spaces, climbing church spires, and oh-so-fake gopurams made me sit up. This wonder remained throughout. Start of the matam to squeeze in between the railings to the shadow-show in Mukunda. Right to the climax and covering of the Shingen-Fletcher fight.

The first half went by like a flash. A pretty grand start with some clever lines (பிற தோஷம்) and some bad ones (அறிவோம்) . The hook piercing the flesh already had me wondering "how" and the song came across as pretty well shot. Govindasamy Kamal thankfully does not speak the famous Kamalenglish accent. And some parts like, the monkey's death were pretty professional looking; things like the way he gets past the doors without using his id card, are well done. The real thrill 'starts' with the first car chase - quite literally பொறி பறக்கும் chase. And this is a mere prequel to the stunts ahead as Fletcher enters. The fight in the apartment with the Jap girl is among the fastest I have seen in Tamil films (so fast that I forgot the ஹிரோஷிமாவில் பிறந்த நான்....line in no time). That fight bore the signature of what is to come with Fletcher.Similarly the last fight with Shingen completed the circle. VettaiyAdu's stun-Siva fights were well talked about but I didn't find them more powerful than Pithamagan (stun Siva) or the first fight in Gajini (super subbarayan) in recent times. But Dasa's fights have definitely raised the bar - there is no comparison.These are perhaps the best choreographed stunts in Tamil Films ever.

The make up was just downright bad. With the possible exception of Balram Naidu, all the made-up faces were odd. This is what made it less of a spectacle, atleast for me. As Kanna pointed out: the fight between Shingen and Fletcher - which again was a very good one - was less enjoyable because one didn't get the amazing feeling that it was Kamal v Kamal.
The scene stealer is Balram Naidu. The way he speaks and conducts himself had the theatre in splits. And the humour is not about silly-funny lines, but just the way the character was conceived and executed by Kamal.

A side note: "உங்களை மாதிரி தெலுங்கு பேசுறவங்க யாராவது காப்பாத்துவாங்க" was received with rapturous applause in Udayam !!

The nice parts in the movie are the ones that are not loud - like Krishnaveni paatti's depictions of the DasAvatArams. Most of the 'smart' dialogues of Govind are naive right from ( பல மில்லியன் டாலரா உங்க உயிரா blah blah) to the theims-atheism repartees. There are may slow-hitting smart lines (like உங்களுக்கு சொர்க்கத்துக்கு வழி காமிக்க சொன்னார் (sic) ). Balram was good but with Crazy things would have been at a different level.I thought the lesson had been learnt with MX. Like MX,Vasoolraja, Kamal's sway with toilet humour persists in Dasa too. Balram Naidu's expressions and intonation showed so much promise that one wishes there was more of him. Kamal should consider reprising this role full length in a film.

When Avtar Singh says to the doctor: " you would expect that I would say music is more important"....is when I realize that I didn't actually care what that character felt and so did not bother to expect him to say this way or that. Sleeping over it, I think that is the problem. Most characters could not be developed well as the 10 roles just fight for space. You barely get introduced to them that you don't bother to have opinions, expectations etc. Even the exalted BoovarAhan is , as discussed a little while earlier, a mere 'spectacle' of presentation,mannerisms, dialect etc. Not very absorbing. Govind and Fletcher and to some extent Naidu are the only three you care much about.

The cliched rape-attempt seemed to be Ravikumar saying "uLLEn ayya".

A saivite stone pelting making a proxy srichurnam is reprised by Govind getting a crucifix on his forhead. If one can managed to be convinced by some inherent cleverness here, one is a blessed soul. If one asks "So ?" then one is a goner.

Nambi's in tears at his Lord's situation is a beautiful fragment. Who is crying for the helpless whom ? Who is bound in shackles and who in stone ? These are the kind of questions the movie ought to have given space to. But the space is so clogged with people that one is left with questions like: Why Santhanabarathy,P.Vasu and R.Sundarrajan when one of them alone would have sufficed ? And of course the question one tries his best to avoid : Why 10 ?

Overall it is indeed a film that has its good parts. People fall from heights on their feet and walk away from gory accidents on a regular basis, which clarifies the genre for those who still don't get it. Just go without expecting a classic or in fact expecting anything and you will find it a good watch.

ajithfederer
4th June 2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks lm :D

tamizharasan
4th June 2010, 07:37 PM
include kuruthi punal in poll.one of the best though not successfull

not successful on what?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
7th June 2010, 06:43 PM
[tscii:8ba49c832f]http://vinaiooki.blogspot.com/2008/03/blog-post_06.html

புஷ்பக விமானா (எ) பேசும்படம் - திரைப்பார்வை

எந்த ஒரு திரைப்படம், ஒலிச்சித்திரமாக கேட்டால் கூட கதை ஓட்டம் எளிதாகப் புரிந்துவிடுகிறதோ , அந்தத் திரைப்படம் காட்சி ஊடகமாக தான் செய்ய வேண்டியதை தவறவிடுகிறது. கடை 80 கள் வரை வந்தத் திரைப்படங்கள் பெரும்பாலும் ஒலிச்சித்திரமே , திரைப்படம் பார்த்த அனுபவத்தைத் தரும்.

அந்த சமயத்தில் பரீட்சாத்த முயற்சிகளை செய்ய ஆரம்பித்திருந்த கமலஹாசன், நடித்து சிங்கிதம் சீனிவாசராவ் இயக்கத்தில் கன்னடத்தில் வெளிவந்த படம் “புஷ்பக விமானா”. அரை நிமிடத்திற்கும் குறைவான அளவில் மொழி மாற்றம் செய்யப்பட்டு தமிழ்(பேசும்படம்),தெலுங்கு(புஷ்பக விமானம்),மலையாளம்(புஷ்பக விமானம்),இந்தி(புஷ்பக்) மற்றும் ஆங்கிலத்தில்(Love chariot) என வெளிவந்தது.

சிறுவயதில் இந்தப்படத்தை தூர்தர்ஷனில் பார்க்கும்போது அவ்வளவு ஆர்வமாக பார்த்ததில்லை. டினுஆனந்த் வரும் ஐஸ் கத்தி எறியும் காட்சி மட்டுமே பிடித்து இருந்தது. ஒரு பாட்டு இல்லை, சண்டை இல்லை. கமல் நடித்து இப்படி ஒரு படமா எனத்தோன்றும். கமலஹாசனின் நிறையப்படங்களின் அருமை, காலங்கடந்து தான் விளங்கும் என்பதற்கு இந்தப் படம் சிறந்த உதாரணம்.

போன வருடம் சென்னையில் ராஜ் வீடியோ விஷனில் தள்ளுபடியில் திரைப்பட குறுந்தகடுகள் விற்கிறார்கள் என வாங்கப்போன போது, அங்க நடந்த சுவாரசியமான உரையாடல் இங்கே,

“பேசும்படம் இருக்கா? கமல் நடிச்சது”

“தமிழில்ல :lol: எங்களுக்கு ரைட்ஸ் எங்களுக்கு கிடையாது, ஹிந்தில இருக்கு. உங்களுக்கு வேண்டுமா”

மனதிற்குள் சிரித்துக்கொண்டு மிக ஆர்வமாக வாங்கி வந்து கிட்டத்தட்ட 15 வருடங்களுக்குப் பிறகு பார்த்தேன். ஆரம்பம் முதல் முடிவுவரை ஒரே மூச்சில் பார்த்து முடித்த போது , வசனங்களால் நிரப்பப்பட்டு படம் வெளிவந்து கொண்டிருந்த காலக்கட்டத்தில், வசனம் ஏதும் இல்லாமலே , அலுப்புத்தட்டாமால் பார்க்கும் வகையில் படம் வெளிவந்து 20 வருடங்களுக்குப்பிறகும் சுவாரசியத்தைத் தந்த மகிழ்ச்சி, கமலஹாசன் மேல் வைத்திருந்த பிரமிப்பை மேலும் அதிகரித்தது.

கையில் நயா பைசா இல்லாமல் , பகல் கனவு காணும், சடுதியில் உயர்நிலையை அடைய வேண்டும் என்ற எண்ணத்துடன் வேலைதேடும் பட்டதாரியான கமலஹாசன் , தெருவில் குடித்துவிட்டு விழுந்துக் கிடக்கும் குடிகார பணக்காரரை(சமீர் கக்கர்) தன் வீட்டில் கட்டி வைத்துவிட்டு , அந்தப் பணக்கார நபராக இடம் மாறுகிறார்.

ஆரம்பத்தில் திடிரெனக் கிடைத்த பணக்கார வாழ்வை ஏகபோகமாக அனுபவிக்கும் கமலஹாசன் , அவர் தங்கி இருக்கும் ஹோட்டலுக்கு மாஜிக் செய்ய வருபவரின் மகள்(அமலா) மேல் நேசம் வைக்கிறார். ஆரம்பத்தில் குற்ற உணர்ச்சி ஏதுமின்றி இருந்தபோதிலும், போகப்போக பிச்சைக்காரர் (நாரயணா), ஹோட்டல் முதலாளி ஆகிய கதாபாத்திரங்களின் வாயிலாக காசும் பணம் மட்டும் வாழ்க்கையல்ல, உற்சாகம், உழைப்பு , விடாமுயற்சி மூன்றும் ஒரு சேர இருந்தால் வாழ்க்கையில் வெற்றி அடையலாம் என்பதை உணரும் கமலஹாசன் , பணக்கார நபரை அவரின் இடத்தில் மீண்டும் வைத்துவிட்டு , தனது ஏழ்மை நிலையுடன் வேலைத்தேடும் படலத்தை ஆரம்பிக்கிறார். இதனிடையில் பணக்காரரின் மனைவியின் கள்ளக்காதலன்(பிரதாப்போத்தன்) ஏவிவிடும் கொலைகாரன்(டினு ஆனந்த்) இடமிருந்து எப்படித் தப்பிக்கிறார் என்பதையும், பணக்காரரின் மனைவி எப்படி தன் தவறை உணர்ந்து மீண்டும் கணவருடன் சேருகிறார் என்பதையும் அழகாக இயக்குனர் சொல்லி இருப்பார்.

நகைச்சுவை இழையோடும் சோகப்படமா, சோகம் இழையோடும் நகைச்சுவைப்படமா என்ற சிந்தனையைத் தூண்டும் வகையில் எடுக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் ஒவ்வொரு காட்சியமைப்பையும் சிலாகித்து சொல்லலாம். இதில் வரும் கதாபாத்திரங்கள் அனைவரும் பேசக்கூடியவர்கள். ஆனால் அவர்கள் மௌனமாக இருப்பது போலவோ அல்லது தூரத்தில் இருக்கும்படியோ, கண்ணாடித்தடுப்பில் பேசுவது போலவோ காட்சிகளின் கோணங்களை அமைத்து மௌனத்தை மொழியாகக்கொண்டு எடுக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் விதம் ஆச்சரியத்திற்குரியது. வசனங்களற்ற
இப்படத்தில் எந்த ஒரு இடத்தில் கூட சிறு குழப்பம் கூட வராமல் அமைக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் திரைக்கதை இயக்குனராக வேண்டும் என்ற கனவுகளோடு இருப்பவர்களுக்கு ஒரு பாலபாடம்.

மெல்லிய நகைச்சுவையைத் தாண்டி, வேலையில்லாத்திண்டாட்டம் , காதல், கள்ளக்காதல், பிரிவு , குடிக்கு அடிமை, பணத்தாசை, உழைப்பின் பெருமை என பல விசயங்களை திரைப்படத்தில் காட்சிக்கு காட்சி செதுக்கி வாழ்வின் எதார்த்தங்களை காட்டும் வகையில் அமைந்திருப்பது இப்படத்தின் இன்னொரு சிறப்பம்சம்.

படத்தின் இறுதியில் அமலா கொடுக்கும் முகவரியுடன் கூடிய கடிதத்தை வாசித்துவிட்டு,அதனுடன் இருந்த ரோஜா மட்டும் கையில் இருக்க , காகிதம் பறந்து போகும் காட்சி மறக்கவே முடியாதது என்றாலும் ரசிக்கும்படியான காட்சிகள் படத்தில் ஏராளம் அவற்றில் சிலவை

* பணக்கார வாழ்வில் , அமைதியான சூழலில் தூங்க இயலாமல் தவிக்கும் கமல், பழைய வீட்டிற்குப்போய் அந்த திரையரங்க ஒலியை ஒலிப்பேழையில் பதிவு செய்து எடுத்துவந்து அதைக்கேட்டபடி துங்கும் காட்சி.

* காலைக்கடன்களை கழிக்க நெடிய வரிசையில் நிற்பது, காலியாக இருக்கும் கழிவறைகளில் இருப்பதில சுத்தமானதை தேர்வு செய்து உள்நுழையும் காட்சி. சமீர் கக்கர் காலைக் கடன்கள் போக உதவிசெய்து, அதை அழகாக பார்சல் கட்டி ஒரு இடத்தில் வைத்து விட்டு போக அதை ஏதோ முக்கியமானதொன்று என எடுத்துப்போகும் ஒரு ஆள் அடுத்த முறை கமலஹாசனைப் பார்த்த மாத்திரத்தில் குமட்டிக்கொண்டு ஓடும் காட்சி.

* சோப்பு தண்ணீரை வாசனைத் திரவியமாக சட்டையில் தடவிக்கொள்வது.

* கமலஹாசன் பிச்சைக்காரர் சம்பந்தப்பட்ட காட்சிகள் அனைத்தும். பிச்சைக்காரர் செத்த பிறகு அவரின் பிணத்தின் கிழே கிடக்கும் பணம் பறக்க, அதற்காக பிணத்தை அப்படியே போட்டுவிட்டு பணத்தின் மக்கள் ஓடும் காட்சி.

* ஹோட்டல் முதலாளியின் ஒவ்வொரு கட்ட முன்னேற்றத்தையும் புகைப்படங்களின் மூலம் கமலஹாசன் உழைப்பின் பெருமையை உணருவது

* அமலா பரிசாக , பாழடைந்த பங்களாவில் உயரே பூத்திருக்கும் பூ ஒன்றைக் கேட்கும் காட்சி.

போதும் போதும் சொல்லிக்கொண்டே போனால் மொத்தப்படத்தையும் எழுதிவிடலாம்.

காட்சிகளுக்கு இதமாக எல்.வைத்தியநாதனின் பிண்ணனி இசை அமைந்திருந்ததும் குறிப்பிட்டு சொல்லப்பட வேண்டிய விசயம்.

ஆரம்பக்காட்சிகளில் பிண்ணனியாக வரும் வானொலியின் செய்திகள் மட்டுமே அந்தந்த மொழிகளில் மாற்றம் செய்யப்பட்டு வெளியிடப்பட்டதால் தமிழில் ‘டப்பிங்' பட வரிசையில் சேர்த்திருந்தாலும் , இந்தப்படம் உலக சினிமாக்களில் குறிப்பிடத்தக்க ஒரு மைல்கல் படம் என்பதற்கு சாட்சியாக imdb தளத்தில் பத்துக்கு ஒன்பதுக்கு அதிகமான மதிப்பை பெற்றிருக்கிறது. வெளியிடப்பட்டக் காலத்தில் பரந்த வரவேற்பைப் பெறாமல் போனாலும், காலம் கடந்தும் காவியங்கள் நிற்கும் என்பதை இந்த புஷ்பகவிமானா பொய்ப்பிக்கவில்லை. மௌனமாய் பேசும் இந்தப்படம் ஒவ்வொரு திரை அபிமானிகளின் வரவேற்பறையை அலங்கரிக்க வேண்டிய படமாகும்

எழுத்தாக்கம் வினையூக்கி at 11:05 PM

வகைகள்: தமிழ்மணம் "நட்சத்திரமாக" எழுதியது

[/tscii:8ba49c832f]

groucho070
9th July 2010, 07:12 AM
Vayalkaattu Veeran
Aditadi Sooran
Paattikku Peeran
Singaravelan

Good time pass movie? Nonsense! This is a comedy classic.

From opening to end, it's a laugh riot, and like wine, it just gets better over the year.

1. Kamal, who starts the film being amidst dumb cows, grouchy goats, stupid chicken and annoying ducks, at his village, later journeys to city where he meets his friend Mano and his housemates, all of whom are no different from the farm animals; dumb Mano, grouchy Annan, stupid charlie and annoying vadiveloo (for the film, he's funny for us viewers).

2. Too bad not sequel culture then, these guys could have reunited and rocked us again.

3. Wife watched it and finally agreed, "Okay, he is very good looking".

4. There seemed to be couple of nods to Vazhve Mayam....the flirt with Manorama, the O-Lanka, Sri-lanka song that begins the same way as Devi Sri Devi.

5. Pottu Vaitha Kathal Tittam - awesome rock number by IR, and somewhere Kamal confessed that he can never sing in the same pitch again. Innum Ennai Enna seyya pogirai = timeless classic.

6. For fans of early kamal (TTT, where I got my initiation), we get the Jackie Chan-esque fight scenes again.

7. More by HR here (http://hubmagazine.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2032565)

P_R
9th July 2010, 12:01 PM
(raising the tempo to fever pitch) sumathi poNNu sumathi poNNu

:rotfl2:

Vivasaayi
9th July 2010, 08:52 PM
revisited few scenes from Sathi leelavathi and mmkr in youtube

Sakthivel kavunder sits in heera's place after asking her to shift in the plane

S.K : "yenda...ipdi onna pakkathula vechutu paper padichitu irukura.. masayanaatam" :lol:

Ramesh arvind : enna panna soldra

S.K : odhukki pakanum...masinjalum masiyumallo..[looks back at smiles atheera] ....sirikudhu... kudhura kuttiyatam nallathan irukku...engeyo patha maadhiri irukku...cinemakariya irukkumo...mmm...unakku adaikala?

R .A : eh?!!!!

S.K : kaadhu!!!

---

at airport

S.K : Y 16

R A : Why?...i dont know

S.K : [LAUGHS] Y 16 seatu number

R.A: poda poda..purinjudhu poda....puriyudhu [reaffirms]

Sakthivel kavunder is undoubtedly the funniest charecter played by Kamal :notworthy:

Bala (Karthik)
9th July 2010, 10:51 PM
Sakthivel kavunder is undoubtedly the funniest charecter played by Kamal :notworthy:
:yes: I and Joe will attest to that 8-)

"Masayanaattam" :lol:

P_R
9th July 2010, 10:56 PM
S.K : "yenda...ipdi onna pakkathula vechutu paper padichitu irukura.. masayanaatam" :lol:

The Deepavali scene. When Kalpana sobs, Kovai Sarala nudges Kamal to talk to her. Kamal nudges her back with a seksu-moodu expression on his face :rotfl3:

Bala (Karthik)
9th July 2010, 10:58 PM
:exactly: :rotfl2:

HonestRaj
9th July 2010, 11:04 PM
:yes: I and Joe will attest to that 8-)

"Masayanaattam" :lol:

kadaisiya nan seal vekkiren

Bala (Karthik)
17th July 2010, 12:19 AM
"Unnai Naan Ariven" - Guna
Sameebama i've been wishing that Thalaivan works with ARR. Irrespective of the fact that i'll be delighted with the possibility of this combination taking off again, i have to say that the Kamal-IR marriage is unbeatable. This song says it all. Nothing more to add.

Bala (Karthik)
17th July 2010, 12:59 AM
"Ammammamma vandhadhingu Singakutti" - Per Sollum Pillai
A precursor to Aboorva Sagodharargal (as Groucho observed once i think)... Thalaivan carries the song in his shoulders (and legs), awesome playback singing...

jaiganes
17th July 2010, 01:05 AM
Recently saw Uyarndha Ullam.
Agreed that this is a corny masala straight out of Doordarshan TV crew. however it was pathetic to watch Kamal overact in the scene where he finds out Radha ravi has cheated him. Even granting the stagy set up, I felt that somehow Rajini is able to bring a zing of beleivability even in the most out of the world settings. This is not to compare Rajini and Kamal, but to show the contrast in their approach to a mundane material like the quoted example, also considering that the director of many such flicks has been SP Muthuraman who gets the "comparatively believable" performances from Rajini in similar situations in his movies.

Bala (Karthik)
17th July 2010, 01:10 AM
Point (w.r.t believability in some cases, not in general). Some of Thalaivan's performances in those set lists were tedious

Plum
17th July 2010, 03:48 AM
[tscii:9f87c77e34]Thaazhndha uLLam, kaadhal dhandanai uLpada andha seriesla it is true that thy are torture as a whole and some scenes acting is quite irritating.
Agreed Rajni does masala corn :-) well.
To me, that even extends in comparison to the succesful masala corns of Kamal, let alone uu and kp. Ttt, psp were all succesful but I find some part of him betraying "indha saniyanla vandhu maattikittome" in scenes thereof. The intellect is bursting through saying "Boss give me something else. This stuff is ridiculous". He is much more at ease with silly in his own masala ventures - post a.sago. There are moments, though. Naanaga naan illai for instance - all corny yet he brought in sincerity there with some touches which are his own.

Whereas Rajni does corny with relish and sincerity. Well, if someone could summon up grief for the loss of YGM effectively(UKNV), quite awesome :lol:
Nevertheless one has to make the right comparison. Radharavi betrayal in uu - we are talking of a friend made when drunk and left for dead. A man who came in mysteriously. This cannot be compared with padikkadhavan(brother) or aNNamalai(childhood friend). Uu is one stinking dead duck of a script. Éven Rajni couldn't have summoned enough sincerity to that scene. It was stupid selection. Some examples might be got if we revisit some of Rajni's own (masala corn) duds. I don't remember much but mAvIran was taxing even for the Rajni fan that I was, if I remember right. Siva isn't uniformly well acted(in the above context raised by Jai). The good or bad thing about these is that I can't remember much details now but only the memory of my reaction to the performance(talking about a tv revisit within last 10 years)[/tscii:9f87c77e34]

Bala (Karthik)
18th July 2010, 01:58 AM
Well, if someone could summon up grief for the loss of YGM effectively(UKNV), quite awesome :lol:
:lol: :wicked: :whykolaveri:

Bala (Karthik)
18th July 2010, 02:01 AM
IMO, as i'd mentioned sometime earlier, coolness sometimes doesn't work for Thalaivan. Rajini (and Kamal) may be corny (in corny films), but coolness sits more naturally with Rajini i think....

Vivasaayi
18th July 2010, 09:04 AM
IMO, as i'd mentioned sometime earlier, coolness sometimes doesn't work for Thalaivan. Rajini (and Kamal) may be corny (in corny films), but coolness sits more naturally with Rajini i think....

Obviously Rajni is naturally cool..but I think thalaivar wantonly hams it up for whatever reasons.

Nizhal nijamagiradhu is enough to suggest that he could be too cool.....naturally....but in masala movies he wantonly hams it..

I watched chachi 420 and dint understand why he overdid his role :? avvai shanmugi la panna madhiriye pannirukalam

groucho070
19th July 2010, 08:13 AM
Trashing my childhood memories, very good, very good, continue :cry:

raghavendran
19th July 2010, 08:19 AM

The Deepavali scene. When Kalpana sobs, Kovai Sarala nudges Kamal to talk to her. Kamal nudges her back with a seksu-moodu expression on his face :rotfl3: :rotfl3: :rotfl2:

SoftSword
28th July 2010, 04:42 PM
after going through the Kamal's ideology in films thread, was invoked to watch heyram for the second time...

(first time watch was a disaster for me... in salem for the first day noon show in KS theatre with my friends... police kitta adi vaangi... adichu pudichu ticket vaangi... lighta mubbula poi ulla supera seat pudichu ukkandhu... apram local rowdi pasanga vandhu, engala first rowla ukkara solla... oru vegatthula sandaipottu... adivaanginadhu dhaan miccham...
and for some reason the movie did not work out for me that well the first time)

after watching it yesterday... i was awesomed...
enna screenplay... enna direction... enna details... yabba...
reg acting... indha threadla naan adha patthi pesa koodadhu... edho kaanaadhaddha kanda madhiri pesarenu nenappaanga...
only Kamal possible...
Kamala thavira evaanaalayum/"evaralayum" indha madhiri ellam mudiyadhu... :notworthy:

same applies to illayaraja too... :thumbsup:

will be happy to know if there is any heyram thread...

raghavendran
28th July 2010, 06:53 PM
after going through the Kamal's ideology in films thread, was invoked to watch heyram for the second time...

(first time watch was a disaster for me... in salem for the first day noon show in KS theatre with my friends... police kitta adi vaangi... adichu pudichu ticket vaangi... lighta mubbula poi ulla supera seat pudichu ukkandhu... apram local rowdi pasanga vandhu, engala first rowla ukkara solla... oru vegatthula sandaipottu... adivaanginadhu dhaan miccham...

reg acting... indha threadla naan adha patthi pesa koodadhu... edho kaanaadhaddha kanda madhiri pesarenu nenappaanga...
only Kamal possible...
Kamala thavira evaanaalayum/"evaralayum" indha madhiri ellam mudiyadhu... :notworthy:

will be happy to know if there is any heyram thread... 8-)
even shah rukh surprisinga nalla pannirpar

Movie Cop
28th July 2010, 11:00 PM

only Kamal possible...

will be happy to know if there is any heyram thread...
8-) Please write more about the movie when you have time, SS! :)

"Hey Ram" is probably a near perfect movie in my book. It had some cross language compromises/hiccups but that can be ignored since that issue was almost dwarfed by an otherwise perfect film. Every department of the film was at his best. Acting, screen-play, dialogues, direction, music, art direction, costumes, cinematography, sounds effects and quality of recording etc.

Movie Cop
28th July 2010, 11:06 PM
It has become a cliche to bracket SRK under "baed actors" category, by default. :evil: Agreed he is not versatile, but to his credit, he has acted really well in some of the movies both pre & post "Hey Ram".

SoftSword
29th July 2010, 12:20 AM
cross language compromise?
even i was disappointed for the same when the movie released, but not now...
now what i can sense is that, this movie is not made by keeping TN audience in mind... its made with an idea to reach global audience... the tamil that comes in the movie is just becos, the hero of the story is born in TN...
for me the languages worked really well, even the tamil which the NIs speak in the movie was also justified...

i will say i have 0% complain abt this movie... just that i would like to know more from experts who read between the lines more...

thats the reason i asked if there was a thread for this movie before... atleast if there is a place where the discussions abt this movie is recorded, pls direct me.

venkkiram
29th July 2010, 08:52 AM
ஹேராம் படைப்பு ஒரு குறைப்பிரசவமாக எனக்குத் தோன்றுவதின் காரணங்களில்

முதன்மையான ஒன்று அதன் ஒலிப்பதிவு. நிறைய இடங்களில் வசனம் அளவுக்கும் மீறி குறைவானதாக இருந்தது. பின்னணி இசையும் சில இடங்களில் (உதாரணம் : சாகேத்ராமும் அம்ஜத்தும் சோடா ஃபாக்டரி சண்டையில் நடத்தும் விவாதம்) வசனங்களின் ஒலியை குறைத்துவிட்டது.

இரண்டாவதாது.. பன்மொழித் திறமையுள்ள மக்கள் மட்டுமே புரிந்துக்கொள்ளக் கூடிய வகையில் ஒரு படைப்பினை வழங்கியிருப்பது..

மூன்றாவது..எவ்வளவுதான் படைப்பாளி என்ற கமல் ஹேராம் படத்தில் வானளவு உயர்ந்திருந்தாலும், சரியான முறையில் மக்களுக்கு எடுத்துச்செல்ல தவறிவிட்டார் என்றே தோன்றுகிறது. காந்தியத்தை, அஹிம்சையை வலியுறுத்தும் படைப்பாகத் தோன்றினாலும், படைப்பில் முக்கால் வாசி நேரத்தை கமல் செலவிட்டிருப்பது பயங்கரவாத உணர்வு எப்படி தோன்றுகிறது, எப்படி விதை, செடி, மரமென தழைக்கிறது என்பதையே! இறுத்திக்காட்சிகளில் சாகேத் அம்ஜத் மூலமாக காந்தியத்திற்கு மாற ஆரம்பிக்கும் தருணங்கள் என ஆரம்பித்து பின்வரும் எல்லாக் காட்சிகளும் துரித கதியில் செல்வது மனதில் ஒட்டவில்லை.

Plum
29th July 2010, 11:07 AM
காந்தியத்தை, அஹிம்சையை வலியுறுத்தும் படைப்பாகத் தோன்றினாலும், படைப்பில் முக்கால் வாசி நேரத்தை கமல் செலவிட்டிருப்பது பயங்கரவாத உணர்வு எப்படி தோன்றுகிறது, எப்படி விதை, செடி, மரமென தழைக்கிறது என்பதையே

Moondram pirai:
Kamal: nari colour mAri pOchu pIRagu kAdu thEdi pochu
Sridevi: nari kAdu mAri pOchu....colour...colour thEdi pOchu. haha hahahaha...

Kamal: pOchu pO, kadhaiavE mAthitta!

SoftSword
29th July 2010, 04:34 PM
ஹேராம் படைப்பு ஒரு குறைப்பிரசவமாக எனக்குத் தோன்றுவதின் காரணங்களில்

முதன்மையான ஒன்று அதன் ஒலிப்பதிவு. நிறைய இடங்களில் வசனம் அளவுக்கும் மீறி குறைவானதாக இருந்தது. பின்னணி இசையும் சில இடங்களில் (உதாரணம் : சாகேத்ராமும் அம்ஜத்தும் சோடா ஃபாக்டரி சண்டையில் நடத்தும் விவாதம்) வசனங்களின் ஒலியை குறைத்துவிட்டது.

இரண்டாவதாது.. பன்மொழித் திறமையுள்ள மக்கள் மட்டுமே புரிந்துக்கொள்ளக் கூடிய வகையில் ஒரு படைப்பினை வழங்கியிருப்பது..

மூன்றாவது..எவ்வளவுதான் படைப்பாளி என்ற கமல் ஹேராம் படத்தில் வானளவு உயர்ந்திருந்தாலும், சரியான முறையில் மக்களுக்கு எடுத்துச்செல்ல தவறிவிட்டார் என்றே தோன்றுகிறது. காந்தியத்தை, அஹிம்சையை வலியுறுத்தும் படைப்பாகத் தோன்றினாலும், படைப்பில் முக்கால் வாசி நேரத்தை கமல் செலவிட்டிருப்பது பயங்கரவாத உணர்வு எப்படி தோன்றுகிறது, எப்படி விதை, செடி, மரமென தழைக்கிறது என்பதையே! இறுத்திக்காட்சிகளில் சாகேத் அம்ஜத் மூலமாக காந்தியத்திற்கு மாற ஆரம்பிக்கும் தருணங்கள் என ஆரம்பித்து பின்வரும் எல்லாக் காட்சிகளும் துரித கதியில் செல்வது மனதில் ஒட்டவில்லை.

it just showed the different states of mind a person goes through based on his experiences and circumstances... for me the ultimate message which interprets was ahimsa...
i am very keen to know what kamals thoughts are abt Mr. Gandhi, is he completely against the NSC/Bhagat Singh way?

raghavendran
29th July 2010, 06:58 PM
It has become a cliche to bracket SRK under "baed actors" category, by default. :evil: Agreed he is not versatile, but to his credit, he has acted really well in some of the movies both pre & post "Hey Ram".he is overrated....only few filmsledhaan naturala paniruppaan...heyram is one of them...

venkkiram
29th July 2010, 07:27 PM
காந்தியத்தை, அஹிம்சையை வலியுறுத்தும் படைப்பாகத் தோன்றினாலும், படைப்பில் முக்கால் வாசி நேரத்தை கமல் செலவிட்டிருப்பது பயங்கரவாத உணர்வு எப்படி தோன்றுகிறது, எப்படி விதை, செடி, மரமென தழைக்கிறது என்பதையே

Moondram pirai:
Kamal: nari colour mAri pOchu pIRagu kAdu thEdi pochu
Sridevi: nari kAdu mAri pOchu....colour...colour thEdi pOchu. haha hahahaha...

Kamal: pOchu pO, kadhaiavE mAthitta!

ம்ம்.. இந்த மரமண்டைக்கு ஏற மாட்டேங்குது! கொஞ்சம் தெளிவா சொல்லுங்க..

app_engine
29th July 2010, 07:32 PM
ஆஹா, மறுபடியும் ஐடியாலஜியா :-)

அந்த இழைக்கு வாங்கோ :-)

venkkiram
29th July 2010, 07:32 PM
நான் சொல்ல விழைவது கமல் ஹேராம் படத்தை இரு பாகங்களாக எடுத்திருக்கலாம். அஹிம்சையை நோக்கிய சாகேத் ராமிம் கடைசி நேர மனமாற்றங்களை இன்னும் தெளிவா, பொறுமையா, அழுத்தமா பதிவு செய்திருக்கலாம் எனத் தோன்றுகிறது.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th July 2010, 10:43 PM
most of us have already heard good things about gaandhiyam so the author may took liberty. angange nachunnu vanthittu thaan irukkum, like the scene in flight, diskassen btw kamal and vasundra about attai potta puthagam

but i think there is no movie, i think about something from nathuram gotse view, sort of something. india pakistan pirivai pidikkaatha, ellaa matha manithargalidamum samamaaga pazhagum oru manithan eppadi manam maarugiraan, maarrapppadugiraan enbathu very beautiful. abyankar, antha raaja, kamal's pappadwale frient motwani, his opinions about 'south indians' shah rukh, that riot scene where one single gun changes entire thing, lots of things are a rare revealation about the past, for the current/future generation.

if u r interested, an article abt gotse:-
http://idlyvadai.blogspot.com/2010/07/1272010.html
http://idlyvadai.blogspot.com/2010/07/1972010.html

Vivasaayi
29th July 2010, 11:20 PM
In Heyram,I felt the romance between kamal and rani could have been elaborated,because its her loss that diverts him.It would had been better if it was an elaborated romance...so its impact would have allowed us to empathize him..the loss of a lover impact like moondram pirai

The friendship between kamal and shahrukh also could had been little bit elaborated,because its amjad who turns his path in second half his days with amjad in the second half would hhave had a great impact, if the friendship bond was eshtablished better in first half....the loss of friend impact like satya.

It was lil bit emotionally dry with respect to this love and friendship factor,I felt....

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th July 2010, 11:33 PM
if we look at what is available, atlest rani-kamal romance scenes had some strength, the inidial saaruk,kamal,motwani friendship scenes and song was a letdown

SoftSword
30th July 2010, 12:24 AM
if we look at what is available, atlest rani-kamal romance scenes had some strength, the inidial saaruk,kamal,motwani friendship scenes and song was a letdown

ipdi ellam yosikkanuma enna...
i thot the song was very well justrifying the friendship between the three... infact i understand Kamal, SK and motwani were all equal friends...
also if u have noted, while dropping SK in the party, his dad would say to Kamal that they are aware that they are gonna booze... also reminds himof coming back home soon after the party...
that somehow means that they were long time friends who party quite often till late in the night...

adikkadi sendhu thanni adippanganu solradha vida vera epdi sybolica friendship sollanumnu edhirpaakkureenga.... :)
(i don mean that its the yardstick)

venkkiram
30th July 2010, 12:55 AM

ipdi ellam yosikkanuma enna...
i thot the song was very well justrifying the friendship between the three... infact i understand Kamal, SK and motwani were all equal friends...
also if u have noted, while dropping SK in the party, his dad would say to Kamal that they are aware that they are gonna booze... also reminds himof coming back home soon after the party...
that somehow means that they were long time friends who party quite often till late in the night...

adikkadi sendhu thanni adippanganu solradha vida vera epdi sybolica friendship sollanumnu edhirpaakkureenga.... :)
(i don mean that its the yardstick)

சகல சொல்வதுபோல் அந்தப் பாடல் ஒரு செயற்கையான இடைச்செருகலாக எனக்கும் தோன்றியது. இயல்பாகவே இல்லை. வெவ்வேறு மதங்களைச் சேர்ந்த நண்பர்கள் ஒன்றாய் கூத்தடிக்கும் போதுகூட, எங்களுக்கு எல்லா மதமும் ஒண்ணுதான் எனப் பாடுவது ஒருவித அலங்கார பிரச்சாரமாக இருக்கிறது.

rangan_08
30th July 2010, 06:51 PM
[tscii:2aa53b84ea]Kalyana Raman was a bonanza from Kamal’s repertoire. It was a super hit film and a perfect entertainer. It is one of the films that catapulted his career to higher levels and confirmed his stay in tamil film industry as a STAR.. :thumbsup:

While Raman just did the run-of-the-mill stuff like duets and fights, it was Kalyanam who won the hearts of fans through his superlative & brilliant performance :clap: . Humour and slapstick done with finesse was the highlight of this character. The classical dancer in him did a major contribution to portray Kalyanam with aplomb and ease, especially his body language. Performance-wise there was a vast difference (in fact, entirely different, to say so) between K & R that clicked well with the audience.

Weak hearted persons, particularly ladies will melt down in the scene where he gets killed by the villains. They chase him to the top of a hill and push him down from there. Before that, he craves for mercy and literally cries and asks each and every one of them to let him go.

“ dei, enna vutrungada, enakku bayama irukkuda. Ayyo, keezha periya pallama irukkuda , vizhundha sethupoiruvenda , enna vitrungada. Manager, enna vitra sollunga, appa kitta solli ella sothayum unga perukke ehzudhi vechidren, enna vitra sollunga manager. Sami pulla, neeyavadhu sollen, unakku naan evlo senjiruppen…..” . Awesome !!

Being frightened to the core, he lets out a long howl in his own unique and strange voice, while falling down ….aaaaaAAAAAHHHHH…….which adds more intensity to the scene.

Un-forgettable superb scene !
[/tscii:2aa53b84ea]

kid-glove
30th July 2010, 07:22 PM
I haven't got the stamina (considering the length of the film and that I've already seen the film twice in a single sitting each time) to revisit "Hey! Ram". But I look forward to doing it one of these days. I have read multiple articles (many 'academic' and extensive ones) on the film, which pushes it much higher in my estimation. If threatened at gun-point by Aadhi Narayanan, I'd put it right up there as one of decade's best (2000-2009). All languages considered.

P_R
30th July 2010, 07:34 PM
If threatened at gun-point by Aadhi Narayanan, I'd put it right up there as one of decade's best (2000-2009).:yes:

All languages considered.

makkaLE note the point: naama ellAm 'all language'-nu sonnA adhu telegu,indhi, minji pOna sila pala aangilam (adhu kooda hollywood) ivvaLavu dhaan. k-g sonnA bulgarian, tagalog, swahili ellAm adakkam :clap:

kid-glove
31st July 2010, 12:20 PM
enna vachu comedy keemedy pannaliyE !

P_R
31st July 2010, 01:47 PM
enna vachu comedy keemedy pannaliyE ! :lol: No

But I am kinda happily surprised that you do consider it one of the best even when compared to many foreign language films.

groucho070
2nd August 2010, 03:34 PM
[tscii:2c530f31b2]
“ dei, enna vutrungada, enakku bayama irukkuda. Ayyo, keezha periya pallama irukkuda , vizhundha sethupoiruvenda , enna vitrungada. Manager, enna vitra sollunga, appa kitta solli ella sothayum unga perukke ehzudhi vechidren, enna vitra sollunga manager. Sami pulla, neeyavadhu sollen, unakku naan evlo senjiruppen…..” . Awesome !! :clap: Beautiful scene, I mean, really moving. Chinna vayasula theatrela azhututten. This and Vasantha Kaala Nathigalile from Mundru Mudichu :cry: [/tscii:2c530f31b2]

raghavendran
2nd August 2010, 03:42 PM
[tscii:61c356b13f]
“ dei, enna vutrungada, enakku bayama irukkuda. Ayyo, keezha periya pallama irukkuda , vizhundha sethupoiruvenda , enna vitrungada. Manager, enna vitra sollunga, appa kitta solli ella sothayum unga perukke ehzudhi vechidren, enna vitra sollunga manager. Sami pulla, neeyavadhu sollen, unakku naan evlo senjiruppen…..” . Awesome !! :clap: Beautiful scene, I mean, really moving. Chinna vayasula theatrela azhututten. This and Vasantha Kaala Nathigalile from Mundru Mudichu :cry: [/tscii:61c356b13f] 8-)

tamizharasan
2nd August 2010, 07:37 PM
I haven't got the stamina (considering the length of the film and that I've already seen the film twice in a single sitting each time) to revisit "Hey! Ram". But I look forward to doing it one of these days. I have read multiple articles (many 'academic' and extensive ones) on the film, which pushes it much higher in my estimation. If threatened at gun-point by Aadhi Narayanan, I'd put it right up there as one of decade's best (2000-2009). All languages considered.

I really do not know how many people here have known this. As per awards chairman (Bengali, I don't remember the name) Hey Ram was voted for best picture and best director for the national awards. Because of political compulsions they were not given to them. Here is my take on Hey Ram. Except for Kamal's controversial discussions about the God in that movie, it is easily one of the best of Kamal's if not the best of Kamal.

kid-glove
3rd August 2010, 03:58 AM
enna vachu comedy keemedy pannaliyE ! :lol: No

But I am kinda happily surprised that you do consider it one of the best even when compared to many foreign language films.

Ah didn't you know that I change my choices depending on the weather.
Just kidding. (better to mention explicitly :D )

SoftSword
3rd August 2010, 05:13 AM

I really do not know how many people here have known this. As per awards chairman (Bengali, I don't remember the name) Hey Ram was voted for best picture and best director for the national awards. Because of political compulsions they were not given to them. Here is my take on Hey Ram. Except for Kamal's controversial discussions about the God in that movie, it is easily one of the best of Kamal's if not the best of Kamal.

i don think he went overboard in that, atleast it did not stick out of the characters dialogues.

Cinefan
3rd August 2010, 11:28 AM

The chairman was Girish Kasaravalli(acclaimed Kannada director whose almost every film picks up a NA).

It's true that he is on record stating that according to him it deserved the best film and best director awards also but since the other members of the jury did not agree,it was not given.

On a side note,the awards have been devalued somewhat with Anil Kapoor winning for Pukar,Saif for Hum Tum,Priyanka Chopra and Kangna Ranaut for Fashion.There might be other such howlers which i have missed.

P_R
3rd August 2010, 11:51 AM
That year the best film was vanaprastham and best actor was Mohanlal, right ?

P_R
3rd August 2010, 12:06 PM
Except for Kamal's controversial discussions about the God in that movie,
:? Which ones are you referring to?

To me one of the interesting parts of the characterization is to show that Saket Ram is still progressive (அட வாயா... மாமா தான் இல்லையே) and continues to be a skeptic (இங்க யாருமே ஸ்வயமா பேசறா மாதிரி தெரியலையே....என்ன பிசாசு பேச வைக்கறதுங்கறேள், உங்களை என் மாமா தரப்போற காசு பேச வைக்கறதுங்கறேன் நான்). Even though he subscribes to some form of Hindu cultural oneness which he feels is under attack.

He does not suddenly become an unquestioning religious fundamentalist. When his existence and future in a secular (as in irreligious, not the Indian meaning of the word :-) ) existence is challenged by a horror, he seems to plunge back to the familiarity of his roots. Here religion, caste, family, way-of-life are all one indistinguishable lump. To think of them independently is largely not possible in our context. In a way Saket returns to what he then thinks is his identity.

When he tries to sever himself off all these then the basis of his 'culture' is itself on this ice. He has to come to face to face with the antagonism that propelled him in this direction. And one show of horror, the horror that he had almost himself perpetuated, is enough to shock him back to act in accordance with his true nature. Restores his basic sense of balance - which is perhaps more fundamental to his identity than he had previously imagined.

That is what makes Hey Ram very engaging. Saket the fundamentalist is NOT caricatured. He is shown to be doing exactly what most people would turn to in such a situation, and thus we truly follow his journey.

raghavendran
3rd August 2010, 12:09 PM

To me one of the interesting parts of the characterization is to show that Saket Ram is still progressive (அட வாயா... மாமா தான் இல்லையே) and continues to be a skeptic (இங்க யாருமே ஸ்வயமா பேசறா மாதிரி தெரியலையே....என்ன பிசாசு பேச வைக்கறதுங்கறேள், உங்களை என் மாமா தரப்போற காசு பேச வைக்கறதுங்கறேன் நான்). Even though he subscribes to some form of Hindu cultural oneness which he feels is under attack.

He does not suddenly become an unquestioning religious fundamentalist. When his existence and future in a secular (as in irreligious, not the Indian meaning of the word :-) ) existence is challenged by a horror, he seems to plunge back to the familiarity of his roots. Here religion, caste, family, way-of-life are all one indistinguishable lump. To think of them independently is largely not possible in our context. In a way Saket returns to what he then thinks is his identity.

When he tries to sever himself off all these then the basis of his 'culture' is itself on this ice. He has to come to face to face with the antagonism that propelled him in this direction. And one show of horror, the horror that he had almost himself perpetuated, is enough to shock him back to act in accordance with his true nature. Restores his basic sense of balance - which is perhaps more fundamental to his identity than he had previously imagined.

That is what makes Hey Ram very engaging. Saket the fundamentalist is NOT caricatured. He is shown to be doing exactly what most people would turn to in such a situation, and thus we truly follow his journey. :thumbsup: surely deserved NAs..but if it was vanaprastham..then theriyale...cos i have heardlal was mindblowing in that

kid-glove
3rd August 2010, 12:22 PM
I easily prefer Hey! Ram to Vanaprastham as a film. As a performance, I think Lal deserved to win. Kamal was excellent in Hey! Ram* but I suppose it'd harsh on Lal, who already should have won for his performance in Iruvar. I hope he wins one more and joins Kamal and Mammootty. :)

*-Is it just me or others too spot the tendency to underplay Kamal's performance while praising his filmmaking in a surreptitious manner.

Plum
3rd August 2010, 01:16 PM
k_g, that is oh so common. Even for Virumandi, which I thought was an outstanding performance from Kamal, although I myself went through the "his filmmaking was better than his acting in Virumandi" phase.

I agree Lal over Kamal for 2000 acting awards. But the best movie and best director - really, that was a cinch. It should have been for Hey Ram.

I think the insult to injury was that 2000 was sandwiched by 1999(Ajay Devgan) and 2001(Anil Kapoor). That just fuelled the rage even more. I am not sure Devgan for Zakhm was National Award worthy. Ofcourse, Mammookka shared it in 1999 for Ambedkar to cushion the impact.

BTW, Mitunda might surge ahead of Lal this year. Apparently, he has done an offbeat film in bengali that was well-appreciated. Whenever he has done that, he has got an award, in the past. idhukku dhAn amavaaaikkoru padam aadikkoru padam nallA nadikkaNum. Total impact irukkum. RegularA nallA nadichA, taken for granted aagidum :-)

Plum
3rd August 2010, 01:18 PM
That is what makes Hey Ram very engaging. Saket the fundamentalist is NOT caricatured. He is shown to be doing exactly what most people would turn to in such a situation, and thus we truly follow his journey.

:clap: - idhai vida theLivA solla mudiyAdhu. I hope this guides people who didnt quite get this earlier.

raghavendran
3rd August 2010, 02:36 PM
I easily prefer Hey! Ram to Vanaprastham as a film. As a performance, I think Lal deserved to win. Kamal was excellent in Hey! Ram* but I suppose it'd harsh on Lal, who already should have won for his performance in Iruvar. I hope he wins one more and joins Kamal and Mammootty. :)

*-Is it just me or others too spot the tendency to underplay Kamal's performance while praising his filmmaking in a surreptitious manner.yes very true :)

tamizharasan
3rd August 2010, 07:38 PM

I never had any problem Kamal going against Gandhi after those incidents affected his life. It was very clearly mentioned in the final scene that if you look at Gandhi at surface level then he may look wrong but if you look at the deeper level(light fills the room when Gandhi picture was opened) you will understand the reason behind his ideology. I really did not agree with his dialogues in his argument with Vasundara das in entirety. Again I really do not want take away any credit from Hey Ram. IMO Kamal's performance as an actor did not deserve national award. (Kamal deserved awards for Mahanadhi and Guna though) But the movie and direction definitely deserved the national awards as voted. Psuedo Anti-Gandhi ideologies in the movie switched it off from the politicians. Our politicians did not even have basic knowledge to understand the fact that this movie was not against Gandhi.

kid-glove
3rd August 2010, 07:54 PM
k_g, that is oh so common. Even for Virumandi, which I thought was an outstanding performance from Kamal, although I myself went through the "his filmmaking was better than his acting in Virumandi" phase.

I agree Lal over Kamal for 2000 acting awards. But the best movie and best director - really, that was a cinch. It should have been for Hey Ram.

I think the insult to injury was that 2000 was sandwiched by 1999(Ajay Devgan) and 2001(Anil Kapoor). That just fuelled the rage even more. I am not sure Devgan for Zakhm was National Award worthy. Ofcourse, Mammookka shared it in 1999 for Ambedkar to cushion the impact.

BTW, Mitunda might surge ahead of Lal this year. Apparently, he has done an offbeat film in bengali that was well-appreciated. Whenever he has done that, he has got an award, in the past. idhukku dhAn amavaaaikkoru padam aadikkoru padam nallA nadikkaNum. Total impact irukkum. RegularA nallA nadichA, taken for granted aagidum :-)

In deed, Plum. I think the real sham will be if Ajay Devgan wins another one and join Kamal-Mammootty. Then the awards will lose whatever little credibility it has. The mere fact that NT wasn't awarded one is indigestible as it is..

He was outstanding in both Hey! Ram and Virumandi, I can't think of many actors who could really bring poignancy through the eyes as he does here.

P_R
4th August 2010, 12:10 PM
I really did not agree with his dialogues in his argument with Vasundara das in entirety.
Which lines?
காந்தியின் குரங்குகள் lines?
புலி/ஓநாய் தர்மம் lines?

littlemaster1982
4th August 2010, 01:30 PM
புலி/ஓநாய் தர்மம் lines?

Best lines written ever in a Tamil film 8-)

tamizharasan
4th August 2010, 07:06 PM
I really did not agree with his dialogues in his argument with Vasundara das in entirety.
Which lines?
புலி/ஓநாய் தர்மம் lines?

Probably both and more. Again context is the problem I understand. The dialogues as such sounded great. Even from the context it looked fine. But I don't agree with them. If you have taken the path of eye to eye and Violence is the only answer for violence then they may have sounded great. But I don't agree with those principles. With that said, IMO, Kamal is the best dialogue writer we ever had in Tamil Cinema for serious movies. Anyway Saket Ram would not have told the same thing after he met with his friend (SRK) in Delhi. I never had any problem with Kamal as artist. But I don't agree with his ideologies sometime and that does not take away any respect I have for him. Let me ask you this, Have you agreed with all the discussions in Hey Ram.

Bala (Karthik)
5th August 2010, 12:51 PM
Watched parts of Dasa recently:

3 :rotfl: moments (seemingly unfunny lines)

Azhagiyar Singar - Madonna (The way he says "Madonna!?" :lol: )

Fletcher jeep spotted-a? :shock: :rotfl2:

BN: "Accelerator irukkudhulla?
Driver: "Irukku saar"
BN: "Amuthuyya!"

P_R
5th August 2010, 01:02 PM
This one is side-splitting :rotfl:

P_R
5th August 2010, 01:17 PM
Which lines?
புலி/ஓநாய் தர்மம் lines?

Probably both and more. Again context is the problem I understand. The dialogues as such sounded great. Even from the context it looked fine. But I don't agree with them. If you have taken the path of eye to eye and Violence is the only answer for violence then they may have sounded great. But I don't agree with those principles.
You are not supposed to agree with them, right?
That was pretty much the point of the movie.
But rather than caricaturing the question, he puts it in unsettlingly 'real' terms that the viewers 'at the moment' even feels an uneasy empathy. That is why this movie works so well.

Anyway Saket Ram would not have told the same thing after he met with his friend (SRK) in Delhi. Yes. That's the point.

I never had any problem with Kamal as artist. But I don't agree with his ideologies sometime and that does not take away any respect I have for him. kuzhappitteenga.

In Hey Ram, Saket travels the whole political spectrum. From ஐயங்கார்வாள் சொல்ற பேச்சை கேக்கற காலமெல்லாம் மலையேறிப் போயிடுத்து to என் ராமனைப் பத்தி பேசினா, செத்தடா நீ.

MGR dialogue, Nambiar dialaogue ரெண்டும் கமல் பேசினாப்ல. கதாநாயகன் சொல்வதோடு ஒத்துப்போவது அல்லது முரண்படுவது, என்று இந்தப் படத்தை அணுக முடியாது என்று நினைக்கிறேன்.

Let me ask you this, Have you agreed with all the discussions in Hey Ram. I am not sure what agreement/disagreement means here. The movie finally makes a point about peace, brother, humanism - which I don't think anyone disagrees with.

But it achieves it - not by caricaturing the opposition. It paints the 'other side' with such richness and credibility - something that has just not been seen in our films.

For example....

When the Raja says...

For centuries we have worshipped valour and its implements. He(Gandhi) wants us to stop this and worship a new God...(pause) himself

He is perfectly right from his PoV, isn't he? He is a King. A defender of faith. Not faith as an individual spiritual quest, but as a social practice. He inherits a long tradition which he perceives to be under attack. It does not help that this is coinciding with the decline in his own powers.

His interpretation of religion comes from the duties as he has seen and inherited them. They are essentially masculine. He sees Gandhi as effeminatizing the religion and its practitioners. And he takes it upon himself to stop the rot there. The imagery and myth of his understanding of his religion weave seamlessly into his political philosophy.

It is not about agreeing/disagreeing. The film is is about understanding the 'reality'. Appreciating the challenge of retaining one's humanism in the face of multiplicity of conflicting opinions.

Cinefan
5th August 2010, 01:41 PM
[tscii:bd0fce7b43]http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14952193

Free wheeling interview-a.Hardly any questions and they too are cliched.

Is it a edited version?Which is this Nana film magazine from where it is taken?

Malayalam cinema has influenced me:Kamal

By Moviebuzz | Thursday, 05 August , 2010, 13:02

Kamal Haasan in an exclusive, free and frank interview goes nostalgic. In this candid conversation, the great actor speaks about his biggest inspiration in life, awards, Rajinikanth and influence of Malayalam cinema.

So far in your journey, who has been your biggest inspiration?
In my acting career the biggest inspiration was Sivaji Ganesan. He was like the sun giving me light and definitely a huge inspiration.

You have won many awards. Is there an award that you want?
Awards and recognition is always welcome and is a big motivation for any actor. I have no regrets that I never got an Oscar, though I’m happy that AR Rahman won it. It is just like saying that I did not get an engineering degree without going to study for the course. Maybe I should have gone and done films that qualify for an Oscar. In future even if I get an award like what Satyajit Ray got posthumously, I will be happy and my children will receive it on my behalf.

Why don’t you enter politics?
I don’t think that one has to enter politics and go to parliament to work for people.

What is the influence of Malayalam cinema in your career?
Malayalam cinema has largely influenced me. The same kind of way as K Balachandar sir had on my career. It is difficult to name the large number of Malayalam filmmakers who had an influence on me. I made a film like Mahanadi in Tamil, only due to my experience in working in those films. The script, the way they work on a scene and the simple and straight forward narration in my Tamil films have been picked up from my association with Malayalam cinema.

How was your relationship with your contemporary who later became superstar Rajinikanth?
During those days I was always tensed whether offers will dry up, so I used to go and sit in KB sir and other director’s office. One day while I was sitting along with the director pleading for a role he told me a guy who studied in Film institute Adyar was waiting outside to see him. He had a Marathi name and was speaking in English and knew Karate! I was sent outside while the new guy was being interviewed for what I thought was my role. He was Mr. Rajinikanth. Later we did the film together! I had a best friend called Rajan, a cancer patient and he used to have a very stylish French beard. In the film Rajinikanth had a similar get up. After the release of the film Rajan died, and Rajinikanth removed his French beard. But since then he became not only my good friend, but I see him more as Rajan.

After doing a lot of hard work, when films bomb how did you take it?
(Smiles) Like how Rajnikanth took the success of Baasha and the failure of Kuselan, I too take success and failures in my stride.

Tell us something about Sridevi, the heroine who has done the maximum films with you.
I have done 27 films with Sridevi as heroine. A lot of people thought that we were in love, so I have a lot of sweet memories about her. The whole love thing was created to make our on screen chemistry sizzle and churn out hits as a pair. I really don’t know what she thought about me. Many people believed that we will get married including her mother. It was a beautiful relationship. Actually when she sees me she was afraid and even today she calls me sir.

(Interview Courtesy: Nana Film Magazine)

[/tscii:bd0fce7b43]

Plum
5th August 2010, 01:50 PM
In future even if I get an award like what Satyajit Ray got posthumously, I will be happy
engErundhu? SwargathulirundhA happy adaivArA?
adhAvadhu he believes in marujanmam, swargam, naragam and such hindutva concepts. See, we always told you he is a close hindutvavaadhi

SoftSword
5th August 2010, 04:47 PM

"light podungayya... inga enna first nighta nadakkudhu??"

even i revisited this film a week before... good entertainment... argh... i cant tolerate asin :evil:

recent achievement have watched heyram, 10A, Virumandi, MMKR...

vera edhachum must watch movie suggest pannunga makkalae...

tamizharasan
6th August 2010, 01:02 AM
Which lines?
புலி/ஓநாய் தர்மம் lines?

Probably both and more. Again context is the problem I understand. The dialogues as such sounded great. Even from the context it looked fine. But I don't agree with them. If you have taken the path of eye to eye and Violence is the only answer for violence then they may have sounded great. But I don't agree with those principles.
You are not supposed to agree with them, right?
That was pretty much the point of the movie.
But rather than caricaturing the question, he puts it in unsettlingly 'real' terms that the viewers 'at the moment' even feels an uneasy empathy. That is why this movie works so well.

Anyway Saket Ram would not have told the same thing after he met with his friend (SRK) in Delhi. Yes. That's the point.

I never had any problem with Kamal as artist. But I don't agree with his ideologies sometime and that does not take away any respect I have for him. kuzhappitteenga.

In Hey Ram, Saket travels the whole political spectrum. From ஐயங்கார்வாள் சொல்ற பேச்சை கேக்கற காலமெல்லாம் மலையேறிப் போயிடுத்து to என் ராமனைப் பத்தி பேசினா, செத்தடா நீ.

MGR dialogue, Nambiar dialaogue ரெண்டும் கமல் பேசினாப்ல. கதாநாயகன் சொல்வதோடு ஒத்துப்போவது அல்லது முரண்படுவது, என்று இந்தப் படத்தை அணுக முடியாது என்று நினைக்கிறேன்.

Let me ask you this, Have you agreed with all the discussions in Hey Ram. I am not sure what agreement/disagreement means here. The movie finally makes a point about peace, brother, humanism - which I don't think anyone disagrees with.

But it achieves it - not by caricaturing the opposition. It paints the 'other side' with such richness and credibility - something that has just not been seen in our films.

For example....

When the Raja says...

For centuries we have worshipped valour and its implements. He(Gandhi) wants us to stop this and worship a new God...(pause) himself

He is perfectly right from his PoV, isn't he? He is a King. A defender of faith. Not faith as an individual spiritual quest, but as a social practice. He inherits a long tradition which he perceives to be under attack. It does not help that this is coinciding with the decline in his own powers.

His interpretation of religion comes from the duties as he has seen and inherited them. They are essentially masculine. He sees Gandhi as effeminatizing the religion and its practitioners. And he takes it upon himself to stop the rot there. The imagery and myth of his understanding of his religion weave seamlessly into his political philosophy.

It is not about agreeing/disagreeing. The film is is about understanding the 'reality'. Appreciating the challenge of retaining one's humanism in the face of multiplicity of conflicting opinions.

Ok. I agree with most of your points. In fact I would have liked this movie at least as much as you did. This movie is one of my all time favorites and I don't want to send wrong signals about this movie. In few scenes I saw Kamal more than Saket Ram and that was my issue. Anyway it should be ignored considering the greatness of the movie.

tamizharasan
6th August 2010, 01:04 AM

"light podungayya... inga enna first nighta nadakkudhu??"

even i revisited this film a week before... good entertainment... argh... i cant tolerate asin :evil:

recent achievement have watched heyram, 10A, Virumandi, MMKR...

vera edhachum must watch movie suggest pannunga makkalae...

Bro
Try Mahanadhi, Devar Magan, Kuruthippunal, Guna and Salangai Oli, if you have not revisited them recently.

SoftSword
6th August 2010, 01:07 AM
ok next in line is mahanadhi

Movie Cop
6th August 2010, 01:46 AM
ok next in line is mahanadhi
Good going! :2thumbsup:

When you get time, check out "Guna" next.You have to watch Guna for Kamal's brilliant acting (as only he can) while "Mahanadhi" has got a very good screen-play besides his superb acting.

app_engine
6th August 2010, 02:07 AM
SoftSword,

எல்லாம் ஒரே சீரியஸ் படமா சொல்றாங்கப்பா -

சிங்காரவேலன், அபூர்வசகோதரர்கள், மூன்றாம் பிறை இதெல்லாம் பாருங்க.

ஒரு சில காட்சிகளைத்தவிர மற்றபடி quality என்டெர்டெய்ன்மென்ட்க்கு கியாரண்ட்டி!

vithagan
6th August 2010, 02:24 AM
SoftSword,

Brilliant performance.. especially the Register office scene and the following scene. Its my all time favourite.. Ilayaraja BGM add more impact to that scene. :notworthy:

here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kA1ZYE2Fc

When I was in college they re-released the movie in my place, almost houseful and all the songs were played twice in the theater on our 'Once More' request.

AS should be on your list next!

Enjoy :)

Movie Cop
6th August 2010, 07:43 AM
SoftSword,

Talking of Kamal's light hearted outings, "Pushpak" (a.k.a. Pesum Padam) is a good one to add! :D

groucho070
6th August 2010, 07:48 AM
Mendum Kokila...always forgotten when his comedies are mentioned. His mannerism, the naive but cunning dirty middle class family man role is sadly forgotten.

Movie Cop
6th August 2010, 07:59 AM
Yes, I revisited MK some 4-5 years back (was actually seeing it in parts on TV). Kamal was just easing through that role and it was quite a breeze for him. One of those underrated performances of Kamal.

I also need to revisit "Simla Special" sometime in future.

venkkiram
6th August 2010, 08:08 AM
நிழல் நிஜமாகிறது படத்தைப் பாருங்கள். ஒரு சிலக் காட்சிகள் கூட போரடிக்காது என்பதற்கு உத்தரவாதம் கொடுக்க நான் தயார்.

மறுபடியும் மறுபடியும் கமல் படங்களை பார்க்க நினைப்பவர்கள் எப்படி மகாநதி போல மிகுந்த மனச் சோர்வை தரும் படத்தை பார்க்கத் துணிகிறார்கள் என்பது புரியாத புதிராக இருக்கிறது. எப்படி சார்! எப்படி ! எப்படி உங்களால் தொடர்ந்து சோகயுணர்ச்சியை தரும் காட்சிகள் மிகுந்த ஒரு படத்தை ரசித்து பார்க முடிகிறது?

Movie Cop
6th August 2010, 08:08 AM
I think it was some time in the mid-80's when Kamal was finding success in Bollywod that he was undergoing some mid-career crisis in Tamil cinema. for his calibre, he was doing some very, very mundane movies like "Uyarandha Ullam", "Naanum Oru Thozilaali", "Kaadhal Parisu" etc. during that period. You could see a bored Kamal just going through the motions in those movies.

Movie Cop
6th August 2010, 08:13 AM
நிழல் நிஜமாகிறது படத்தைப் பாருங்கள். ஒரு சிலக் காட்சிகள் கூட போரடிக்காது என்பதற்கு உத்தரவாதம் கொடுக்க நான் தயார்.
Sure, will revisit Nizhal Nijamaagiradhu as well.

I have been a Kamal fan since late 70's! :D Anyday, I love to watch Kamal's old movies (i.e '75-'85 phase) partly due to the "nostalgia factor" and partly to see that raw genius in action even in some of those ordinary movies/characters.

groucho070
6th August 2010, 09:02 AM
I have been a Kamal fan since late 70's! :D Anyday, I love to watch Kamal's old movies (i.e '75-'85 phase) partly due to the "nostalgia factor" and partly to see that raw genius in action even in some of those ordinary movies/characters.Ditto. Mine would be 1983 exactly.

P_R
6th August 2010, 11:25 AM
Yes, I revisited MK some 4-5 years back (was actually seeing it in parts on TV). Kamal was just easing through that role and it was quite a breeze for him. One of those underrated performances of Kamal.

Recently noticed something in the RAdhA RAdhA nee engE song

A regular boring duet shot in Mysore Brindavan gardens

The line "naanalil paai viriththu naan adhil paLLi koNdaen" is sung twice. The first time Kamal sings it and stretches out in a paLLikoNda perumAL pose.

Then when he sings the line again he reaches for something behind his back: a stray piece of grass, which he picks it up, examines it and throws it away - breathing life into a drab moment

Plum
6th August 2010, 11:32 AM

மறுபடியும் மறுபடியும் கமல் படங்களை பார்க்க நினைப்பவர்கள் எப்படி மகாநதி போல மிகுந்த மனச் சோர்வை தரும் படத்தை பார்க்கத் துணிகிறார்கள் என்பது புரியாத புதிராக இருக்கிறது. எப்படி சார்! எப்படி ! எப்படி உங்களால் தொடர்ந்து சோகயுணர்ச்சியை தரும் காட்சிகள் மிகுந்த ஒரு படத்தை ரசித்து பார்க முடிகிறது?
sila pEru epdi kai kAl vetti aadum kONangi dance matrum parandhu parandhu adikkum rope fight-sai alukkAma fast screenplay-nu sollikittu pArkarAngaLo adhE maadhiri dhAn!

groucho070
6th August 2010, 12:02 PM
The chaplinesque slapstick was evident earlier back then.

Right after he meets the actress for the first time, he'd come rushing, running up the stairs, shouting in excitement, "Kookki! Kookki!" and accidentally pulls out the wooden ball thing at the end of the staircase rail (not sure how to describe that thing) :lol:

equanimus
6th August 2010, 02:11 PM
மறுபடியும் மறுபடியும் கமல் படங்களை பார்க்க நினைப்பவர்கள் எப்படி மகாநதி போல மிகுந்த மனச் சோர்வை தரும் படத்தை பார்க்கத் துணிகிறார்கள் என்பது புரியாத புதிராக இருக்கிறது. எப்படி சார்! எப்படி ! எப்படி உங்களால் தொடர்ந்து சோகயுணர்ச்சியை தரும் காட்சிகள் மிகுந்த ஒரு படத்தை ரசித்து பார்க முடிகிறது?(மகாநதியைத் திரும்பத் திரும்ப பார்ப்பவர்களில் ஒருவன் என்ற முறையில்) அது ஒரு படம் என்ற பிரக்ஞை இருந்தாலே போதுமே! சினிமாவின் அனுபவத்தை இப்படிச் சுருக்கிவிட முடியாது என்பது உண்மை தான். ஆனால், மகாநதி எந்த விதத்திலும் ஒரு tearjerker 'ஆகவோ, ஒரு அலுப்புத் தட்டும் சோகப் படமாகவோ பார்க்க முடியாது என்பது என் எண்ணம்.

Plum
6th August 2010, 02:13 PM
ஆனால், மகாநதி எந்த விதத்திலும் ஒரு tearjerker 'ஆகவோ, ஒரு அலுப்புத் தட்டும் சோகப் படமாகவோ பார்க்க முடியாது என்பது என் எண்ணம்.
Absoleetly!

P_R
6th August 2010, 02:13 PM
எண்ணமெல்லாம் சரி. டீ இன்னும் வரலை.

equanimus
6th August 2010, 02:45 PM
:lol: எழுதணும்னு ஒக்காந்தா, அந்த எழுத்து தான்... வார்த்தை...

kid-glove
6th August 2010, 03:02 PM
The hard-hitting pathos of Mahanadhi is gradually lessened in subsequent viewings. There's never a rubicon-like almost-dystopian state that would come off as extremely pessimistic (OTOH, I think Kamal isn't at all a pessimist. Neither a cynical nihilist by pure definition). But after the first watch, we pretty much know and make out where their destiny lies, and that there's light at end of the tunnel. As the emotional fulcrum isn't operating towards full blown tragedy (it could be argued the film would turn out better if it went this way, by keeping the despair tone right up to the end with slightest tinge of hope - I'll like the film no less even then.). The ending is tonally inconsistent but otherwise the dramatic construction is superb.

kid-glove
6th August 2010, 03:17 PM
OTOH, it could be argued that this inconsistency isn't a bad thing. As in its title, the tonal changes is akin to a river going from upstream to downstream to nearly stagnating, and yet still gains momentum to thrust forward :)

SoftSword
6th August 2010, 06:30 PM
ya watched mahanadi last nite...
indha padam paatthu enga roome rendaagiduchu...

when i was watching the movie, unfortunately my roommate joined me to watch... there will be one BGM with no voice dream sequence for Kamal and Suganya, for which my roommate said "paaatta oattunga..."
i yelled at him :) "ezhundhu poirunga..." and he went away with a shrunken face poor fellow... he is a new friend whom i know only for two months, man i was harsh :lol:

OTOH i was thinking, was that romance sequence needed when he jus came out of jail and was yet to find his missing kids... innoru scenelayum enakku idhae madhiri thonuchu...

but a awesome movie i would say... performance was good by Kamal but not better than Virumaandi which i would say was above even Heyram.

and aboorva sagodharargal and moonrampirai as app suggested... i would have seen that movie atleast some 10 times in the recent past... :)

SoftSword
6th August 2010, 06:32 PM
SoftSword,

Talking of Kamal's light hearted outings, "Pushpak" (a.k.a. Pesum Padam) is a good one to add! :D

ya i want to watch pushpak again. its been a while..

venkkiram
6th August 2010, 07:29 PM
நிழல் நிஜமாகிறது படத்திற்கு அப்பால், மீண்டும் மீண்டும் பார்க்கும் கமல் படங்களில் மேலும் சில..

1) சலங்கை ஒலி
2) உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பி
3) சிப்பிக்குள் முத்து
4) காக்கிச் சட்டை
5) இளமை ஊஞ்சலாடுகிறது
6) 16 வயதினெலே
7) அவர்கள்
8) மன்மத லீலை
9) ராம் லக்ஷ்மண்
10) நினைத்தாலே இனிக்கும்

இதில் சலங்கை ஒலி, அவர்கள், சிப்பிக்குள் முத்து சில இடங்களில் கொஞ்சம் சோக உணர்ச்சிகளை தருபவை. ஆனாலும், மனம் பாரமாகாது.

P_R
6th August 2010, 07:32 PM
9) ராம் லக்ஷ்மண்
இந்தியாவுலயே யாரும் இந்தப் படத்தை சொன்னதில்லை. இன்னிக்கு நீங்க சொல்லிட்டீங்க.

breadpuli
6th August 2010, 07:36 PM
Guru - another mass movie.
There is a fight where Nammavar will be beating the 'adiyalkal' sent by Sridevi. Oh I was thrilled in theater.
For two week that sequence was the main topic of discussion in our groups.
It is definitely not his best in entertainment but very very special to me 8-)

venkkiram
6th August 2010, 07:52 PM
மறுபடியும் மறுபடியும் கமல் படங்களை பார்க்க நினைப்பவர்கள் எப்படி மகாநதி போல மிகுந்த மனச் சோர்வை தரும் படத்தை பார்க்கத் துணிகிறார்கள் என்பது புரியாத புதிராக இருக்கிறது. எப்படி சார்! எப்படி ! எப்படி உங்களால் தொடர்ந்து சோகயுணர்ச்சியை தரும் காட்சிகள் மிகுந்த ஒரு படத்தை ரசித்து பார்க முடிகிறது?(மகாநதியைத் திரும்பத் திரும்ப பார்ப்பவர்களில் ஒருவன் என்ற முறையில்) அது ஒரு படம் என்ற பிரக்ஞை இருந்தாலே போதுமே! சினிமாவின் அனுபவத்தை இப்படிச் சுருக்கிவிட முடியாது என்பது உண்மை தான். ஆனால், மகாநதி எந்த விதத்திலும் ஒரு tearjerker 'ஆகவோ, ஒரு அலுப்புத் தட்டும் சோகப் படமாகவோ பார்க்க முடியாது என்பது என் எண்ணம்.இப்போ ஒரு நகைச்சுவை படம் என்றால் வயிறு குலுங்க சிரிக்கிறோம். அந்த ரசத்தை உள்வாங்குகிறோம். அதுபோல சோகப் படங்களை பார்த்து அழனும் என்பது அவசியமல்ல. தீவிர மன உளச்சலை தரும் படங்களில் ஒன்றாக மகாநதியை கருதுகிறேன். ஒரு சின்னஞ் சிறு சிறுமியை ஒரு பெரியவர் அனுபவிக்க ஆசைப்பட்டு கதவு கொஞ்ச கொஞ்சமாக மூடப்படுவதை காட்டும் போது, எப்படி பொறுமையா அதை கடக்க விரும்புகிறீர்களோ தெரியவில்லை. அவர் ஒன்றும் இல்லாத ஒன்றை காட்டவில்லை. சமூகத்தில் அங்கங்கே நடக்கிறது. இருந்தாலும் அதை படத்தில் அப்படியே காட்சியாக வைப்பது ஒரு வித நோயுற்ற தன்மை என நினைக்கிறேன். இது போல மேலும் பல விஷயங்களை குறிப்பிடலாம். முதன் முதல் பார்க்கும்போதே இதை மீண்டும் பார்த்து ரசிக்கும் கமல் படமல்ல என்ற யோசனைதான் வந்தது.

இப்போ மூன்றாம் பிறையை எடுத்துக்கொள்ளுங்கள். படத்தின் இறுதிக் காட்சியில் சொல்ல முடியாத சோகம். ஆனாலும் படம் முழுவதும் பாத்திரங்கள் வாழ்க்கையை ரசிப்பதை நாமும் பார்த்து ரசிக்க முடியும். சோகத்திலும் ஒரு சுகம் இருக்கணும். வாழ்க்கையை பற்றிய நம்பிக்கை ஒளி காட்சிகளில் தென்படணும். அப்ப தான் எல்லாமே நல்லாயிருக்கும். மூன்றாம் பிறையில் இறுதிக் காட்சி சோகம் போல பாலு மகேந்திரா படம் முழுவதும் வைத்திருந்தால் எப்படி இருந்திருக்கும்? அதுபோல ஒரு படைப்பு தான் மகாநதி.

காட்சிகளில் வெளிப்படும் உணர்ச்சிகளுக்கு ஏற்றார்போல மாறிவிடும் நான், மகாநதி படத்தை உணர்ச்சியற்ற நிலையில் இருந்து ஒருபோதும் பார்த்து ரசிக்க முடியாது.

venkkiram
6th August 2010, 07:56 PM
9) ராம் லக்ஷ்மண்
இந்தியாவுலயே யாரும் இந்தப் படத்தை சொன்னதில்லை. இன்னிக்கு நீங்க சொல்லிட்டீங்க.:lol: குழந்தை பருவத்தில் யானை என்றால் தனி அலாதி. அந்த சிறார் பருவ விரும்பங்களை இன்னும் அப்படியே அடைகாத்து வருகிறேன். எந்த வித எதிர்பார்ப்பும் இல்லாமல் பார்த்து ரசிக்கும் மக்களுக்கு ராம் லக்ஷ்மணை பிடிக்கும் என நினைக்கிறேன். மேலும் இந்தப் படத்தில் ராஜாவின் சிறப்பான ஒரு பாடல் உண்டு. அதை குறைந்த பட்சம் வாரத்திற்கு ஒரு முறையேனும் இன்றுவரை கேட்டு ரசித்து வருகிறேன். அது "வாலிபமே வா வா". எனக்காக ஒரு முறை கேட்டுப் பாருங்கள்!

P_R
6th August 2010, 08:10 PM
ஈக்வா, கம்பராமாயணத்துல ஒரு வரி வரும்:

கைகேயியோட வரத்தைக் கேட்டு லட்சுமணன் கோவமா பேசும்போது, கோவப்படாதே'ன்னு ராமர் சொல்லுவார். அதுக்கு பதில் சொல்லும் போது

யாண்டோ, அடியேற்கு இனிச்சீற்றம் அடுப்பது?'

இப்பொ கோவப்படலைன்னா, நான் வேற எப்போ கோவப்படப்போறேன்?

மகாநதியின் நீளம், ஆழம், ஒப்பின்மை பத்தி எழுத இதுதான் தருணம். வாரயிறுதி வேற கூடி வந்திருக்கு. கமான்.

Bala (Karthik)
6th August 2010, 11:44 PM
இப்பொ கோவப்படலைன்னா, நான் வேற எப்போ கோவப்படப்போறேன்?

மகாநதியின் நீளம், ஆழம், ஒப்பின்மை பத்தி எழுத இதுதான் தருணம். வாரயிறுதி வேற கூடி வந்திருக்கு. கமான்.
:yes:

:rotfl: @ tea innum varala

Bala (Karthik)
6th August 2010, 11:50 PM
Reg Thalaivar's acting in Hey Ram: The only person who can surpass Sakedha Raman is Gunaseelan, IMHO

jaiganes
6th August 2010, 11:58 PM
Mahanadhi - a beautiful interpretation of Les Miserables - but with an anger at things at large. In sanskrit there is a word - napumsak - Bharathi writes "AligalukkinbamundO". Subramaniya Siva asked 'Why do you have moustache, even a prawn fish has it'.
A modern day individual is mostly a floating piece of algal floatsam getting swept away by two things - society at large and TIME. Mahanadhi is an auteur's vision to capture both - the sweeping current of scum filled society that makes an individual a 'Napumsaka' and penalises him for his revolt by putting him in a prison from where he has to suffer the current of the second river - TIME. How he swims against and wins his self back is a tale that can stand in international arena along with the likes of "Shawshank redemption" where both protagonists swim through scum (one does it literally, while the other metaphorically - through sona kaachi, through the bilanes of chennai where dishonesty lives on top - alluding to confrontation with venkatachalam on top of a building).
The ending is the most positive climax that does not seem out of place and instills the faith in human conscience. It is one movie worth its weight in gold per celluloid reel.
Araseetram(anger at injustice) that was the heart of Silappadhigaram gets its echo from modern time from Mahanadhi. A movie nothing short of epic.

equanimus
7th August 2010, 12:28 AM
Reg Thalaivar's acting in Hey Ram: The only person who can surpass Sakedha Raman is Gunaseelan, IMHOThat would be Gunasekaran, a successor to the one from பராசக்தி.

Bala (Karthik)
7th August 2010, 12:30 AM
Maathiptaingala ! :oops:

Bala (Karthik)
7th August 2010, 12:48 AM
By the by, "Isayil Thodangudhamma" itself speaks volumes... When is the next freaking collaboration between these two madmen?

SoftSword
7th August 2010, 01:35 AM
By the by, "Isayil Thodangudhamma" itself speaks volumes... When is the next freaking collaboration between these two madmen?

thats my most fav song in that movie... also the first song which attracted me in the album when it was released... i was disappointed for that song did not come in full in the movie, one more was for using/wasting the majestic "ram ram..." song during the end credits.

//nice dp bala

Bala (Karthik)
7th August 2010, 01:41 AM
Cuttings from Aboorva Sagodharargal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMjdeEsvng), my all time favorite Tamil movie.

Lesson : From 00:44 onwards to 01:02 (Freeze at 01:00 to 01:02)

[Andha clown/viswaroobam transition scene youtube la kedaikkala and i've misplaced my collection of Thalaivar DVDs]

equanimus
7th August 2010, 02:08 AM
Regarding mahAnadhi, it's debatable whether the ending is tonally inconsistent or not. I don't think it functions like a regular "happy ending." In fact, it's radically matter-of-fact in a sense. Remember, the film cuts to several years later. What makes us think they should still be wallowing in misery? In fact, that's precisely the mode in which standard tearjerkers work. If this were a regular melodrama, there would have been a more definitive full stop put to the lives of at least some of the characters. Krishna himself 'descends' into seeking retribution but is able to redeem his old self in some ways. Also, Kaveri carries on with her life, which is a radical departure in every sense.

And the idea that it's a "picture postcard" ending doesn't hold water at all. Firstly, does it really look like an afterthought? I'm not sure. The film ends where it began, with Krishna's children taking the plunge this time into what life has in store for them. It is not designed to make us 'forget' the past; on the contrary, it is designed to remind us of it. Even in a formal sense, the film doesn't play out that way. It doesn't employ handy techniques like closing with the image of a happy smiling family or something to that effect, but actually cuts to a bird's eye view of the river, pans across the bridge where they are standing and moves away from them along with the river and fades out with a panoramic view of the river bank. As I see it, it is more of a hopeful footnote to the epic arc of the film. The grandchild here is the Parikshit figure who is 'born' at the end of the epic and would carry forward the story. The film offers a closure that is squarely in the tradition of Indian mythology where nothing quite ends in and of itself.

jaiganes
7th August 2010, 02:36 AM
Regarding mahAnadhi, it's debatable whether the ending is tonally inconsistent or not. I don't think it functions like a regular "happy ending" in any sense. In fact, it's radically matter-of-fact in a sense. Remember, the film cuts to several years later. What makes us think they should still be wallowing in misery? In fact, that's precisely the mode in which standard tearjerkers work. If this were a regular melodrama, there would have been a more definitive full stop put to the lives of at least some of the characters. Krishna himself descends into a sort of madness and violence but is able to seek redemption in some ways. Also, Kaveri carries on with her life, which is a radical departure in every sense.

And the idea that it's a "picture postcard" ending doesn't hold water at all. Firstly, does it really look like an afterthought? I'm not sure. The film ends where it began, with Krishna's children taking the plunge this time into what life has in store for them. It is not designed to make us 'forget' the past; on the contrary, it is designed to remind us of it. Even in a formal sense, it doesn't play out that way. The film doesn't employ handy techniques like closing with the image of a happy smiling family or something to that effect, but actually cuts to a bird's eye view of the river, pans across the bridge where they are standing and moves away from them and flows along with the river and fades out with a panoramic view of the river bank. As I see it, it is more of a hopeful footnote to the epic arc of the film. The grandchild here is the Parikshit figure who is 'born' at the end of the epic and would carry forward the story. The film offers a closure that is squarely in the tradition of Indian mythology where nothing quite ends in and of itself.
and a beautiful footnote punctuated by the song that completes the arc. The "few years later" also indicates the second passage of time - the inconquerable river - in this instance offering solace and mellowing. Return of the prodigal son of the soil - to be seen in contrast with the Devar magan climax where the prodigal son makes a departure to prison. I couldnt help avoiding making that connection - though i am typically against considering an entire body of work before making a comparison, however such is the uniformity of thematic expression of Kamal's extremely satisfying 90s output.
It is interesting how Kamal the artist has handled the mahanadi of time personally, quite good in swimming against the tide in 90s, now comes across to me an artist struggling to break the shackles he has placed upon himself.

Now wondering.. is it time for Thevar Magan part 2?

equanimus
7th August 2010, 03:22 AM
and a beautiful footnote punctuated by the song that completes the arc.Absolutely. I wanted to touch upon this in a subsequent post. The recurrence of the "தையந் தையந்" chant and the theme song, which runs through the film as Krishna goes through the motions of life, as if it were the 'song of (his) life' itself, as the film draws to a close is crucial in the sense that it invokes all of his past life. None of it is simply a bad dream that's over.

jaiganes
7th August 2010, 03:43 AM
and a beautiful footnote punctuated by the song that completes the arc.Absolutely. I wanted to touch upon this in a subsequent post. The recurrence of the "தையந் தையந்" chant and the theme song, which runs through the film as Krishna goes through the motions of life, as if it were the 'song of (his) life' itself, as the film draws to a close is crucial in the sense that it invokes all of his past life. None of it is simply a bad dream that's over.

The variations of the song are amazing in the fact that same tune, effectively brings out all possible emotions.
In the song .. "Engeyo thekku thesai"
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00331&lang=en
Kamal and IR sum up the story with a wonder "EngeyO vandhadhenna en vaazhkai Odam dhaan" underlining the currents that sweep a man and his family off their feet. absolutely beautiful brevity of lyrical imagination.
One more SPB beauty of a song with a killer prelude "Anbaana" aptly describes the departure of the family(from their village) fraught with future uncertainties. Sometimes while seeing the movie, I wonder how Ilaiyaraaja comes up with these wonderful bit songs that punctuate the movie and make it absolutely accessible to everyone. Annaaradhu bit songs compilation must be made immediately.

kid-glove
7th August 2010, 11:20 AM
I agree that it isn't regular tearjerker or melodrama in any sense. Such films end on a poignant note but what I was asking for is to keep the despair tone right up to the end with slightest tinge of hope - rather than giving an optimistic, even if matter-of-fact conclusion. The 'Cycle of life' as it were, brought about by ending the film like its beginning. While one shouldn't round it off as a "happy conclusion", but definitely inasmuch the 'lessons' are learnt (and will always be reminded with caution, physically by Krishna's 'severed' hand and far more scathingly mentally - but the ending isn't interested in that, but rather shows how the characters try to dig back their early selves, going back to where they belong.), and now this serene & safer countryside will be their 'home'. What's more optimistic and picturesque than regaining the old, respectable Identity.

And yes, the ending follows the tradition of Indian Epics. The conflict evokes both the Epics. If swindling is of one, the abduction of his daughter is of another. The daughter is reincarnation of 'Sita figure' to Krishna - in the Saree store, Kaveri's image dissolves to wife's image to Krishna for a brief moment. Forget the visual cues, there's an epic sweep with which the characters are unraveled by time (often times, this is underrated. But this film keeps moving along, and never stands still. And this movement is respected uncompromisingly by its effect on the characters) and place ( Urban misadventures up to the point of Jail, and in Kaveri's case, across rivers of Vindhyas - all counterpointed to their 'home').

kid-glove
11th August 2010, 12:57 PM
I like this scene in Indian when the cop Krishnaswamy (Nedumudu Venu) meets Indian thatha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fqB4CCg6mA&feature=related

One of the well-directed(in general I think he's undervalued in this regard, conflating writing with direction, and also because of the fetish to paint and ornate objects & places) moments of Shankar.

And Kamal's limitless capability for panache is brought out in that very scene. As an Old Man no less !

ajithfederer
12th September 2010, 04:51 AM
Disclaimer : Don't know whether it has been posted here before

Looks like an old interview from (may be 2004). Kamal talks about MN, Viruman and his experience at Rotterdam film festival. I for one always thought that he didn't go there when they screened 3 films of his under "Filmmaker in Focus". Or was that in 2002?. Anyway below is the intree.

`Virumaandi` isn't enough to change Tamil cinema: Kamal
By Subhash K Jha

Why did Kamal Hassan leave the country as soon as his new film `Virumaandi` became a blockbuster? Subhash K Jha finds out.

Where have you been?
I enjoyed making Virumaandi. After that it was time for me to move on. Essentially my trip abroad this time was a period of stock-taking. I had lots of time to be with myself, take walks, think. Decide about my future. This time I wasn’t the limelight moth. The idea was to be as inactive as possible. The only time I allowed the pleasure of business to resurface was when I went to the Rotterdam film festival. Then I went to the US with the film where my production house Raj Kamal Films turned distributor with Virumaandi.

How did it do in the US?
It performed much better than we expected. In the US we got three times more recognition and financial attention than we expected. There’s a large percentage of Tamils among the NRIs. In the US the Tamilians are all Indian whereas in Canada they’re from India and Sri Lanka. They all reacted favourably. But I wasn’t looking at their reaction. I was completely cut off from the excitement for Virumaandi, like a guy who takes hot steam inhalations during a cold. I stayed away from all the excitement. No limelight stuff for me except one beautiful happening.

What’s that?
I met filmmaker Milos Forman in Paris. I’m his fan, though he didn’t know who I was. My friend Jean-Claude Carriere introduced us. Milos was surprised I remembered the title of all his films. Now of course he’s caught in my web (laughs). :lol:

Shouldn’t you have stayed back in India to see how Virumaandi goes?
I had a feeling it would click in a big way. Throughout the making of the film I kept making corrections. Earlier I couldn’t rectify the errors in my filmmaking due to the fear of cost and the fear of delay. Here the delay happened because of extraneous factors (political interference in the film’s title). So no one could blame me for it.

Virumaandi has become a blockbuster.
That’s what they’re saying. But I never look a gift-horse in the mouth. If people are saying Virumaandi has revived the Tamil film industry then I won’t be presumptuous enough to agree. No industry can be altered by one film. When people say a film will change the trend of filmmaking, it never happens in isolation. Likeminded people need to bring about that change.

Does the success of Virumaandi provide you with the impetus to revive your dream project Marudanayagam?
One Virumaandi isn’t enough to revive a project that large. We need 10 million dollars for Marudanayagam. It has to come from abroad. What surprised me was the response to Virumaandi at the Rotterdam film festival where out of 180 entries my film with parochial overtones which I had made about a specific clan in Tamil Nadu, got widely noticed. :clap:

Do you think our cinema is finally being noticed abroad?
We need to carry our cinema forward, free it from the shackles of the bigotry abroad. I’m tired of being asked if we’ve elephants and snakecharmers in India. We’ve to make Hollywood-standard films. I’m bored with what we’re doing. I’ve my own sensibilities as a filmmaker. I want to apply these to international standards. See, everyone here wants to stand on a mount and give biblical sermons. But do any of us have beard enough to take the crucifixion?

So you think Bollywood must behave like Hollywood in order to acquire an international feel?
No ultimately the Hollywood coating has to be pull off our cinema. Hollywood is a multi-cultural talent. The best of Hollywood is composed of all nationalities. Francis Coppola never took his American cinema to Italy. Likewise we need to wear our cultural badge and still look cosmopolitan. I was reading the Urdu author Sadat Hassan Manto from the 1947. He’s truly international in feeling. I’d love to be one of his disciples. I identify with his writing.

Are you enjoying the success of Virumaandi?
For me the enjoyment would come from making my next film. The success of the film has made a point. Audiences memories get blunt when there’s too much room between two successes. Over here your last film is your visiting card. I must say there was a lot of support for Virumaandi before release. After a long time I felt I was provided fraternal support. There was a lot of debate, all productive. My friend music composer Ilaiyaraja said he was moved by the film but worried about it. He was worried the audiences wouldn’t be able to identify with the rural background. He was also worried about the narrative which is like Kurosawa’s Roshomon. There‘re two versions of the truth in Virumaandi.

What next?
I’m talking with Mr Sangeethan Srinivasa Rao. We did Appu Raja, Pushpak and Michael Madan Kamarajan. We’re good friends and collaborators. I like him even more now because he loved Virumaandi (laughs). Our discussions right now are in what Sangeetham calls a nebulous stage.

When will you do a film with Mani Ratnam?
When he’s ready with a story, or when I can give him a story. I hope it happens soon. We’ve been talking about a film. Much as people would like to believe otherwise, there’s no problem between us. We’re both too grown up for hide‘n’ seek. I think the problem is, we need to go beyond Nayakan. I can’t have Mani Ratnam being unsure on my sets. He’s our pillar of strength. He has to be sure about what we do together.

Are you looking at a scenario where you’ll have to produce all your films?
(sighs) It looks like it. It’s more convenient. But I’ll have to leave the marketing to others. I’m not a pundit about what clicks. But I’m a men in the trenches who knows which way the bullets are flying.

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/interview.php?id=13415258&cid=2408
[tscii:d7228acc0f][/tscii:d7228acc0f]

Vivasaayi
12th September 2010, 10:27 AM
Cuttings from Aboorva Sagodharargal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMjdeEsvng), my all time favorite Tamil movie.

[Andha clown/viswaroobam transition scene youtube la kedaikkala and i've misplaced my collection of Thalaivar DVDs]

appu laughs like his dad..isnt it? :)

The portion from 2:14 to 3:14 - rocking...!

Vivasaayi
13th September 2010, 10:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85JfKQsIo3A

awesome sequence (kamal pestering somayajulu for a job) from swathi muthyam...andha innocence in face :clap:

evanum pakkathula kooda vara mudiyadhu!

tamizharasan
13th September 2010, 10:59 PM
my favortie scene in aboorva sagodarargal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Ki135q3MI

In this song between 2:30 and 3:15. When that guys takes away Roobini from Kamal and kamal as joker expressions to Appu asking for justice by complaining. World class.

kid-glove
14th September 2010, 12:03 AM
photos from that Rotterdam trip:
http://brambelloni.photoshelter.com/search?KW=Kamal+Haasan&I_DSC_AND=t&I_DSC=Kamal+Haasan+&I_USER_ID=U0000p3WdOH8uZAw&_ACT=search

kid-glove
14th September 2010, 12:08 AM
[tscii:e679fad645]http://www.fancast.com/movies/Virumaandi/90702/about

About Virumaandi
Starring: Kamal Hasan, Abhirami, Rohini

Indian actor/filmmaker Kamal Haasan writes, directs, and stars in the controversial drama Virumaandi, set in the Southern state of Tamil Nadu. The double-perspective film follows a journalist (Rohini) around a prison while investigating a story about capital punishment. She first interviews Koththaala Thevar (Pasupathy), who is on death row. He speaks of the chaos in his village. She then interviews his neighboring enemy Virumaandi (Haasan), who tells a much different story. Between the two rivals is the brave heroine Annalakshmi (Abhiraami). Virumaandi premiered at the Rotterdam Film Festival in 2004. ~ Andrea LeVasseur, Rovi

http://www.fipresci.org/documents/archive/archive_2004/rotterdam/trainee_pbertolin.htm

But in every respect the most spectacular contribution of the body of an actor to the essence of a film comes from Virumaandi by and with Indian superstar Kamal Hassan. Politically committed yet unrestrainedly contagious entertainment, Virumaandi is literally brought to life by the vigorous and fearless bravura of Hassan, in wonderfully achieved imbrications of author, actor and character that provide the most prominent example of how a film could become an extension of its author's body.

Paolo Bertolin
© FIPRESCI 2004

[/tscii:e679fad645]

kid-glove
14th September 2010, 12:09 AM
Don't know whether all these were posted before, but it's worth being reposted in light of Feddy's timely reminder..

ajithfederer
14th September 2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks kg :D

Vivasaayi
14th September 2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMc_jAhdZU

:clap: :notworthy:

SoftSword
14th September 2010, 03:51 PM
photos from that Rotterdam trip:
http://brambelloni.photoshelter.com/search?KW=Kamal+Haasan&I_DSC_AND=t&I_DSC=Kamal+Haasan+&I_USER_ID=U0000p3WdOH8uZAw&_ACT=search

these are very old pics right?
some 5 yrs old i guess, i hav these pics for more than 3 yrs.
during virumandi time maybe

SoftSword
14th September 2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkh-pDv2QE4

Kamal at his comfort zone:
from 1:30 to 3:40

cant avoid remembering NT in more than one scene close to 3:00

raghavendran
14th September 2010, 05:43 PM

appu laughs like his dad..isnt it? :)

The portion from 2:14 to 3:14 - rocking...! 8-)

groucho070
15th September 2010, 06:45 AM

cant avoid remembering NT in more than one scene close to 3:00Crazy the actor need to be mentioned as far as this flick is concerned.

venkkiram
15th September 2010, 07:42 AM

cant avoid remembering NT in more than one scene close to 3:00கவிதாலயா கிருஷ்ணன் ஒரு பேட்டியில் சொன்னது, "படத்தில் அந்த அழுகைக் காட்சி ஆரம்பத்தில் வேறு விதமாக இருந்தது. இயக்குனர் முதற்கொண்டு எல்லோரும் சரி நல்லா வந்திருக்கு என்ற திருப்தியுடன் அடுத்த காட்சிக்கு முன்னேறும் வேளையில், கமல் இல்லை இதில் எனக்கு திருப்தியில்லை என அவராகவே improvise செய்து மூன்றாவது நான்காவது சுற்று வரை சென்றுவிட்டார். ஒரே காட்சியை இப்படியெல்லாம் நடிக்கலாம் என அங்கே பார்த்துக்கொண்டிருந்த எல்லோருக்கும் இலவச நடிப்புப் பயிற்சி செய்து காண்பித்தார் கமல்.."

venkkiram
15th September 2010, 08:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpekS2I3Eqw

உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பியில் என்னால் மட்டுமே இது முடியும் என செய்துகாட்டிய நிறைய காட்சிகள் உண்டு! அதுல இதுவும் ஒன்று!

"அண்ணி நா செஞ்சது தப்புல்லண்ணி..உங்களுக்குமா இது புரியல.."

groucho070
15th September 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks Venki.

Saw this by the side when viewing the above youtube. Anytime, it can make you cry, man :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1eTmieteHI&feature=related

And yes, the background score. IR :notworthy:

SoftSword
15th September 2010, 05:06 PM

cant avoid remembering NT in more than one scene close to 3:00Crazy the actor need to be mentioned as far as this flick is concerned.

i dono why, but i liked this movie very much and watched it many times, though i have watched the original a couple of times before this movie was released..
and the nagesh dialogue to Kamal in the end were more impactful and unforgettable.

m_23_bayarea
16th September 2010, 08:47 PM
Happened to watch Thoongathey Thambi Thoongathey (1983) last weekend. What a great movie! I know Kamal fans will think this was another masala compared to some of his greater ones post-90, but for me, it's these kinds of movies that I loved more of him! :P

I so loved the character Vinodh and his portrayal of an American return-MBA and being stuck with bad people and drugs. What sophistication! And how he starts to love the warmth of a family and more so, a mother as circumstances change!

Amazing movie! :notworthy:

tamizharasan
16th September 2010, 08:53 PM
Happened to watch Thoongathey Thambi Thoongathey (1983) last weekend. What a great movie! I know Kamal fans will think this was another masala compared to some of his greater ones post-90, but for me, it's these kinds of movies that I loved more of him! :P

I so loved the character Vinodh and his portrayal of an American return-MBA and being stuck with bad people and drugs. What sophistication! And how he starts to love the warmth of a family and more so, a mother as circumstances change!

Amazing movie! :notworthy:

This is definitely one of better movies of Kamal from Masala genre.
Even though it was pure masala they dealt with drug issues little bit and fights were one of the best we have seen.

PARAMASHIVAN
16th September 2010, 09:01 PM
very tough poll, voted for salangai oli, just loved all the scenes involving Kamal , Jayapradha, IR music , SPB songs !

another movie that comes into my mind is 'Siripi kuzh muthu' ! awsome !

PARAMASHIVAN
16th September 2010, 09:01 PM
should add

1) Siripikuzh muthu in the poll list!

2) 16 vayathinilE

app_engine
16th September 2010, 09:05 PM
Param,

adhu siripi illa, sippi :-)

சிப்பி ('முத்துச்சிப்பி' - இதைத்திருப்பிப்போட்டா 'சிப்பி-முத்து', அதாவது சிப்பிக்குள்ள முத்து).

PARAMASHIVAN
16th September 2010, 09:07 PM
Param,

சிப்பி ('முத்துச்சிப்பி' - இதைத்திருப்பிப்போட்டா 'சிப்பி-முத்து', அதாவது சிப்பிக்குள்ள முத்து).

oh :oops:

tamizharasan
16th September 2010, 09:16 PM
Param,

oh :oops:

param sir
Please use zh for only ழ.

m_23_bayarea
19th September 2010, 07:13 AM
Watching NAYAGAN (1987) today! Honestly, don't even know where to start writing about this movie and how to cover all its greatness. Just speechless!

venkkiram
19th September 2010, 07:41 AM
விருமாண்டி..

மூன்றாவது முறையாக பார்க்கிறேன். மனதில் பல காட்சிகள் ஒட்டவே மாட்டேங்குது. அவரது வெளுப்பான நிறமே அன்னியப்படுத்துகிறது.. ஆத்தா இறக்கையில்"போடி முண்ட.." என திட்டிக்கொண்டே அழும்போது செயற்கையாக தோன்றுகிறது. மொத்தத்தில்..இயல்புக்கு மீறி கொஞ்சம் ஓவராக நடித்துவிட்டதாக தென்படுகிறது..

PARAMASHIVAN
20th September 2010, 02:55 PM
watched salangai oli again for 10th time

Kamal sir :clap: :notworthy:

those dance movements, esp when he shows shailaja about the panchaboothum bit , speech less :thumbsup:

Love those every single 'romantic' scenes with Jayapradha :P

awsome songs by IR and SPB sir, awsome movie, can watch it 100 times ! :yes:

Vivasaayi
20th September 2010, 03:45 PM
அவரது வெளுப்பான நிறமே அன்னியப்படுத்துகிறது....

கிராமத்துல எல்லாருமே கருகருனு தான் இருபாங்கலாமா? :lol:

Anban
20th September 2010, 04:23 PM

உன்னால் முடியும் தம்பியில் என்னால் மட்டுமே இது முடியும் என செய்துகாட்டிய நிறைய காட்சிகள் உண்டு! அதுல இதுவும் ஒன்று!

"அண்ணி நா செஞ்சது தப்புல்லண்ணி..உங்களுக்குமா இது புரியல.." very very preachy movie..

Plum
20th September 2010, 04:28 PM

Good question. vEdham pudhidhula Sathyaraj-um veLu veLunnu irundhAr adhanAla adhuvum sellAdhunnu solvArO?

kid-glove
20th September 2010, 04:31 PM

"அண்ணி நா செஞ்சது தப்புல்லண்ணி..உங்களுக்குமா இது புரியல.." very very preachy movie..

But that's a pretty good scene/moment for Kamal 'the actor'. I wonder why B(K) found KH hammy here. I saw the film, and I thought it was a good turn.

kid-glove
20th September 2010, 04:34 PM
I hate KB's social commentaries, especially the 'feminist' films. Save Varumayin niram sivappu, Thanneer thanneer, Nizhal nijamagiradhu - others are either too mediocre/flawed or downright offensive, that you'd have to excuse me while I knock 'em off the fence..

Vivasaayi
20th September 2010, 04:40 PM
I hate KB's social commentaries, especially the 'feminist' films. Save Varumayin niram sivappu, Thanneer thanneer, Nizhal nijamagiradhu - others are either too mediocre/flawed or downright offensive, that you'd have to excuse me while I knock 'em off the fence..

and they had suhasini in the lead too!

kid-glove
20th September 2010, 05:08 PM

and they had suhasini in the lead too!

I'm more charitable to her personality than most here. I think 'Sindhu bhairavi' kicked off the 'hatred' in lot of young folks. At least I speak for myself. I watched it much later though, I saw Dharmathin Thalaivan, and what shocker that I found her persona to be tolerable ! She was less annoying in Mahendran's NK, Bharathan's Pranamam & Ente Upasana, Padmarajan's Koodevide and channels the 'preening' persona well in Shaji's Vanaprastham (casting genius!) too. OTOH, KB's films are strictly no go for me, especially the presupposed 'feminist' films. And it'd be no exaggeration to say that KB has the esteemed position of making Suhasini's persona consistently unbearable..

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th September 2010, 05:11 PM

Good question. vEdham pudhidhula Sathyaraj-um veLu veLunnu irundhAr adhanAla adhuvum sellAdhunnu solvArO?
விருமாண்டி வந்தபோதும், சில விமர்சனகளில் கமல் மட்டுமே வெள்ளை மற்றவர்களெல்லாம் கருப்பாக உள்ளனர் என்று ஒரு அசட்டு கமென்ட் வந்தது.
அபிராமி, நெப்போலியன் என மாநிறமும், கொண்டராசு, நெப்போலியனின் மகன், மற்றும் குபீர் ஜாலி கோட்டத்தில் ஒருத்தர் நல்ல வெண்ணிறம்( இவர் தன உ போ ஒருவனில் ஒரு தீவிரவாதி)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
20th September 2010, 05:17 PM
விருமாண்டி..

மூன்றாவது முறையாக பார்க்கிறேன். மனதில் பல காட்சிகள் ஒட்டவே மாட்டேங்குது. அவரது வெளுப்பான நிறமே அன்னியப்படுத்துகிறது.. ஆத்தா இறக்கையில்"போடி முண்ட.." என திட்டிக்கொண்டே அழும்போது செயற்கையாக தோன்றுகிறது. மொத்தத்தில்..இயல்புக்கு மீறி கொஞ்சம் ஓவராக நடித்துவிட்டதாக தென்படுகிறது..

எனக்கு அழிகை வரவில்லை ஆனால் அதிர்ச்சி! உடனே யோசனையில் மனம் இறங்கியது, பொதுவாக கிராமங்களில் எதுய்மே சற்று முரட்டுத்தனமாக வெளிப்படுத்தும் ஆட்கள் இருப்பார்கள் என்று,. அதனுடன் விருமாண்டியின் குணத்தை பொருத்தி பார்த்தேன், இனிமே யாருமில்லை அனாதையா விட்டுட்டிஎன்னு வரும் அவரின் கோபம் கலந்த சோகம் முகவும் சரியாகவே தோன்றியது. ஏன் இது போல் மற்ற படங்களில் செய்யவில்லை என்று தோன்றியது. இப்போது யோசிக்கும்போது ராஜ்கிரனின் கிராமப்படங்களில் இதுபோன்ற காட்சிகள் இருக்கக்கூடும் என்று தோன்றுகிறது

PARAMASHIVAN
20th September 2010, 05:41 PM
Guys stop being Racists :lol2: :yessir:

Plum
20th September 2010, 05:50 PM
Virumandi is a showboat. If he is not preening about his masculinity - taming the bull, teasing the girls, hanging from the tempo/Lorry in a preening pose, issuing bravado to kothALan and later, nallamar - he is drama-queening his way heartily. This is pretty much evident through the flashback portions, in both versions of the flashback. My subsequent viewings of the movie helped me appreciate the later portions of the movie precisely because of this. Post annalakshmi's death, Virumandi changes a lot. And that is the key to deciphering the later portions, including the much-maligned TV interview climax.

Also, see how Viruman responds to annalakshmi's death. Compare and contrast with the Viruman who mourns his grandma. This is what makes Kamal the outstanding writer/performer that he is. I just cant imagine anyone else bringing this all out as an actor. People keep saying he should have had Vikram playing the lead etc - to me, it just means that they haven't really "got" Virumandi, the movie.

kid-glove
20th September 2010, 06:19 PM
Totally Agree, Plum. Off many Indian mainstream films that will make best(s) list last decade, Hey Ram and Virumandi will be at the very top. Just as the writer/performer, director is no less important. As much as you have the written text, and superb array of cast, it's the director's call from the moment he claps 'action' to deciding the right take in cutting room. Filming and Editing. And how each scene is woven one after another (especially in unconventional narratives such as Virumandi) to elicit our feelings for the characters. Subsequent viewings are required to appreciate Sandiyar's portrayal and his 'transformation'. The court room scenes is the Rubicon, all the fun is drenched out by the deep chasms , and one on evidence of final TV interview, is irrevocable. Interesting to contrast this with Krishna(Mahanadhi).

kid-glove
20th September 2010, 06:25 PM
Direction(filming and editing) is of primary importance. And Ray deals with this in 'Our films, their films'. Snidely chides some of our assumptions (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2236218#2236218).

venkkiram
21st September 2010, 06:58 AM
விருமாண்டி வந்தபோதும், சில விமர்சனகளில் கமல் மட்டுமே வெள்ளை மற்றவர்களெல்லாம் கருப்பாக உள்ளனர் என்று ஒரு அசட்டு கமென்ட் வந்தது.நிறம் ஒரு குறியீடு. எப்படி இடம், வட்டார மொழி போன்றவை ஒரு படைப்பிற்கு குறியீடுகளாக இருக்கிறதோ அப்படியே நிறமும். பத்து பேர் வாழ்ற சமுதாயமாக இருந்தாலும், படைப்பு என வரும்போது அதில் எட்டு பேருக்கு எது பொதுவாக, சராசரியாக இருக்கிறதோ அதையே முன்னிலைப்படுத்துதல் சாலச் சிறந்தது. உதாரணம் - பருத்தி வீரன் படத்தில் கார்த்தியின் நிறமே ஒரு இயல்புத்தன்மையை கொணர்ந்து விட்டது.

tamizharasan
21st September 2010, 07:48 AM
விருமாண்டி வந்தபோதும், சில விமர்சனகளில் கமல் மட்டுமே வெள்ளை மற்றவர்களெல்லாம் கருப்பாக உள்ளனர் என்று ஒரு அசட்டு கமென்ட் வந்தது.நிறம் ஒரு குறியீடு. எப்படி இடம், வட்டார மொழி போன்றவை ஒரு படைப்பிற்கு குறியீடுகளாக இருக்கிறதோ அப்படியே நிறமும். பத்து பேர் வாழ்ற சமுதாயமாக இருந்தாலும், படைப்பு என வரும்போது அதில் எட்டு பேருக்கு எது பொதுவாக, சராசரியாக இருக்கிறதோ அதையே முன்னிலைப்படுத்துதல் சாலச் சிறந்தது. உதாரணம் - பருத்தி வீரன் படத்தில் கார்த்தியின் நிறமே ஒரு இயல்புத்தன்மையை கொணர்ந்து விட்டது.

Yes Karthi or Vikran would have been better choice for Virumandi. If either of these two had given chance to write and direct also then the movie would have been lot better.

Plum
21st September 2010, 10:52 AM

You want to impose rules on casting? Majority wins eh? nallA irukku.
(adhukkunnu udanE, appO veLLaikAranai kUda virumandiyA nadikka vekkalAmnu Plum solrAru-nu thirichudAdhInga)

kid-glove
21st September 2010, 01:51 PM
I suggest all the village films of Mohanlal and Mammootty were recast with Kalabhavan Mani, yes, Padmarajan, Adoor and Bharathan were all fools too. nIram remba mukkiyam illaya?

Puliyan_Biryani
21st September 2010, 02:47 PM
I don't know which side of the discussion the below quote is. I guess both sides can use it.

I remember Kamal saying in an interview during Virumaandi release: en manadhil irundha Virumanin nirame veru. adharkaaga marupadiyum Guna maadhiri kari poosikkondu nadikka mudiyumaa? adhu seyarkaiyaagadhaan theriyum.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2010, 05:14 PM
I recall an old interview in TV or Magazine( i can't recolllect). One question is: WHAt is the difference btw Guna where u acted with ur original complexion and DevarMagan where you acted with Makeup.

ennaa thimiru :twisted:

I keep on saying Kamal is one of the most interviewed personality in Indian Cinema( no of Instances) and somehow ppl dont get this bad attitude/guts when questioning other artists

Plum
21st September 2010, 05:22 PM
Waste Forest interviewvA?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2010, 05:59 PM
anna vetticad?? Nope, i forgot to mention its reader's questions. I remotely guess its a video interview, probably DD ?!? and not any print magazine.

Sarna
21st September 2010, 06:58 PM
I suggest all the village films of Mohanlal and Mammootty were recast with Kalabhavan Mani, yes, Padmarajan, Adoor and Bharathan were all fools too. nIram remba mukkiyam illaya?

Majorities of malayalees white complexion dhaana :roll:

where is jinju ?

app_engine
21st September 2010, 07:06 PM
Majorities of malayalees white complexion dhaana :roll:

where is jinju ?

தவறான விடை :-)

இப்படி வேண்டுமானால் சொல்லலாம் - தமிழ்நாட்டைக்காட்டிலும் அதிகம் சதவீதத்தில் "ஒப்பீட்டளவில் வெளுத்த தோல்" பெண்டிர் உள்ள நாடு. அவ்வளவே.

மெஜாரிட்டி நாட்டுப்புற மக்கள்னு பாத்தா அவ்வளவு வெளுப்பெல்லாமில்லை. அதிலும் திருச்சூருக்கு வடக்கிலும் கோட்டயத்துக்குத்தெற்கிலுமுள்ளோர் பெரும்பாலும் தமிழ்நாட்டு நிறத்தவரே :-)

app_engine
21st September 2010, 07:12 PM
பொதுவாகப்பார்த்தால் இந்தியர் அனைவருமே பழுப்பு (பிரவுன்) நிறத்தவர் தான். இந்த வெளுப்பு / கருப்பு பிரச்னையே பெரிய தமாஷ் என்பது தான் உண்மை. அதிலும் இதைக்கொண்டு விருப்பு வெறுப்பெல்லாம் உண்டாக்கப்படுவதை நினைத்தால் (உ-ம் ஃபேர் காம்ப்ளெக்ஷன் கேட்கும் மேட்ரிமோனியல்கள்) கோபமும் எரிச்சலும் தான் வருகிறது :-(

Vivasaayi
21st September 2010, 08:36 PM

நன்றாக கவனித்தால் தேவர் மகனின் சக்திவேல் தேவர் மீது இந்த வெலுத்த தோல் குற்றச்சாட்டு வைக்கப்படவில்லை. சக்திவேலும் விருமாண்டியும் ஒரே சாதியைச் சேர்ந்த கிராமத்தாய்ங்கதான்.

ஆனா...சக்திவேல் தேவர் படித்த பக்குவமான பட்டதாரி..அவன் வெலுத்த தோலா இருக்கறது யாருக்கும் உருத்தல... ஆனா ஒரு முரட்டு ஆசாமியை வெலுத்த தோலாக காமிக்கும் போது உருத்துது!

"செவப்பா இருகரவன் பொய் சொல்ல மாட்டான்டா" வகையராவில்தான் இதை சேர்த்த முடியின்!

Thirumaran
21st September 2010, 10:17 PM

விருமாண்டி வந்தபோதும், சில விமர்சனகளில் கமல் மட்டுமே வெள்ளை மற்றவர்களெல்லாம் கருப்பாக உள்ளனர் என்று ஒரு அசட்டு கமென்ட் வந்தது.

suththa kaenathanamaa irukku ..

Thirumaran
21st September 2010, 10:29 PM

நன்றாக கவனித்தால் தேவர் மகனின் சக்திவேல் தேவர் மீது இந்த வெலுத்த தோல் குற்றச்சாட்டு வைக்கப்படவில்லை. சக்திவேலும் விருமாண்டியும் ஒரே சாதியைச் சேர்ந்த கிராமத்தாய்ங்கதான்.

ஆனா...சக்திவேல் தேவர் படித்த பக்குவமான பட்டதாரி..அவன் வெலுத்த தோலா இருக்கறது யாருக்கும் உருத்தல... ஆனா ஒரு முரட்டு ஆசாமியை வெலுத்த தோலாக காமிக்கும் போது உருத்துது!

"செவப்பா இருகரவன் பொய் சொல்ல மாட்டான்டா" வகையராவில்தான் இதை சேர்த்த முடியின்!

:exactly:

athuvum illaama, athu enna kanakko, illa entha village la poi kanakeduthaangalo ..pathukku 8 paer dark complexion nnu :rotfl2:

chennai vaasi ngalla 10 la 8 paer white complexion aam :P

cinema la love a paarthuttu ithu thaan love nnu kettu poarathukku oru koottam irukira maathiri, Sila padangala paarthuttu intha maathiri ellaam kooda purinjippaanga poala irukku :roll:

kid-glove
21st September 2010, 11:00 PM
This whole ordeal sounds like a Neeya Naana Episode :lol2:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2010, 11:01 PM
"இத்தனை ஆண்டுகாலம் டிவி விளம்பரங்களை அவதானித்தபின் ஒன்று புரிகிறது. சிவப்பானவர்கள் மகிழ்ச்சியாக இருக்கிறார்கள். கறைதான் மாபெரும் சமூக தீமை"
http://twitter.com/writerpayon/status/7506381374

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2010, 11:04 PM
நிறபேதம் இந்தியாவில் மாறாது என நினைக்கிறேன். கறுப்பானவர்கள் சாதித்தாலும் கருப்பு மின்னல் என பாராட்டுகிறோம்.

கருப்பா இருந்தாலும் கலையா இருக்கா, வெள்ளையா இருந்தாலும் அழகா இல்லை - பெண்களை இப்படி வர்ணிக்கிறோம்

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st September 2010, 11:08 PM
இந்த நிற விஷயமும் விருமாண்டி சமயத்தில் எதோ ஒரு பேட்டியில் கமலிடம் கேள்வியாக வைக்கப்பட்டது. அப்போ கமல் இது போல சொனார் "இப்படித்தான் குனாவில் கருப்பு மை பூசி நடித்ததையும் சிலர், தவறாக எடுத்துகொன்டனர் எனவேதான் விருமாண்டியில் அப்படி எதுவும் செய்யவில்லை"

இப்போ ஒன்று புரிகிறது, கமல் ஒவ்வொரு சின்ன கமெண்டையும் கவனித்து பார்த்து பார்த்து படமெடுக்கிறார், ஆனாலும் எப்படியும் யாராவது ஏதாவதொரு கோணத்தில் நொள்ளை சொல்லியபடி உள்ளனர். ஆனாலும், முடிந்தவரை நடுநிலை மாறாமை, உண்மை நிலை, யாரையும் நேரடியாக தாக்காமை என்று பின்பற்றி வருகிறார்

ajithfederer
22nd September 2010, 12:00 AM
Like how?. You mean Krishnasamy wouldn't have bothered to create a controversy? :).

Yes Karthi or Vikran would have been better choice for Virumandi. If either of these two had given chance to write and direct also then the movie would have been lot better.

tamizharasan
22nd September 2010, 12:18 AM
Like how?. You mean Krishnasamy wouldn't have bothered to create a controversy? :).

I did not think in those angles. :lol: Here I was just defending venkkiram's valid point.

ajithfederer
22nd September 2010, 12:44 AM
Oh ok. Other than this episode I don't see how the movie could have been better, let alone somebody else writing and directing this film.

I did not think in those angles. :lol: Here I was just defending venkkiram's valid point.

tamizharasan
22nd September 2010, 12:46 AM
Oh ok. Other than this episode I don't see how the movie could have been better, let alone somebody else writing and directing the film.

So you have not got the joke yet. Don't you know defense is the best form of offense. If somebody says that movie is bad then it is okay. I also thought the movie was very violent for my nature. Other than that I did not find any problem with the movie. Bringing down the movie by pointing the skin color of the Kamal, did not make any sense to me.

ajithfederer
22nd September 2010, 08:45 AM
I yam very ssaree, TA :oops: