8. Pasupathy

7. Madhavan

6. Nasar

5. Sathyaraj

4. Prakash Raj

3. Vikram

2. Surya

1. Kamalahasan

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-slide-shows/movie-3/versatile-actors/kamal.html

What do you think? Do you agree?
Or do you think someone who is truly versatile is not in the list?

groucho070
2nd June 2009, 07:29 AM
:shaking: :yessir:

Sarna
2nd June 2009, 07:47 AM
prithviraj, sathyaraj, arya and jeeva ... most versatile :rotfl3:

jaaze
2nd June 2009, 07:53 AM
prithviraj, sathyaraj, arya and jeeva ... most versatile :rotfl3: jeeva is not :rotfl3: :evil:
he has done a fair share of roles than the current and previous generation sothais. same for barath (bad that TFI villain perarasu came into his path :argh: )

NOV
2nd June 2009, 07:54 AM
Jeeva, without a doubt! :yes:

Prithviraj is like sugary sweet - thigatti pOchu :roll:

Arya - sarvam disappointed me tremendously. :sigh2:

NOV
2nd June 2009, 07:55 AM
yes, bharath has been spoiled by perarasu :x and also his desire to be chinna thalapathy :banghead:

jaaze
2nd June 2009, 07:57 AM
Prithviraj is like sugary sweet - thigatti pOchu :roll:
He made an impressive introduction with Kanaa Kanden. His role in his next film Parijatham was a refreshing change. But he continues to do the same kind of role in every film. Even expression is maintained the same throughout all his films. IMO, he should do some dark themed films like Sarvam. He did Sathampodathe but it was not that impressive.

NOV
2nd June 2009, 08:03 AM
agreed completely 8-)

versatility and prithviraj is like earth and sky...

groucho070
2nd June 2009, 08:08 AM
The kind of films that is being churned out mostly does not need versatile talents. The kind of films that need versatile talents are not using one that should be. There is a serious mismatch going on. Just because the film that requires a versatile talent, uses a severely undertalented actor, the said artiste somewhat acquires the "versatile" tag. I agree on some, disagree on some.

Why isn't Dhanush in it?

jaaze
2nd June 2009, 08:40 AM
Danush should try to do other roles than poor boy is jobless, father dislikes him, falls in love with rich girl, girl doesn't like him, girl likes him, family likes him, clash with villain and finally wins villain in a well choreographed stunt sequence in the climax.

Puthupettai is the only odd one I guess, other than his introductory films TI and Kadhal Konden.

Raikkonen
2nd June 2009, 08:46 AM
bharat is certainly versatile.. people turned on him because he acted under perarasu :sigh2:

he has shown lot of promise since his debut.. has given tremendous performances in chellame and pattiyal. he's not bad in comedy (feb 14).. and dance :bow: best dancer of this generation.

he has also worKed with ShanKar for 3 movies... no mean feat.considering he's a dream for all main level heroes.

NOV
2nd June 2009, 08:51 AM
yes, I really liked his performance in Emttan Magan - two spots where I couldnt control my emotions.

nepali was ok, nothing great. whats his next film?

Mahen
2nd June 2009, 09:19 AM
yes, I really liked his performance in Emttan Magan - two spots where I couldnt control my emotions.

nepali was ok, nothing great. whats his next film?

With Tammu :D KAnden KAdhalai..(jab we met remake)..The hindi version was brilliant, tamil version eppadi irukumo :roll:

Raikkonen
2nd June 2009, 09:40 AM
bharat-Ku bad time start aayidichu..

viraajan
2nd June 2009, 10:05 AM
idhellam oru listu... :banghead:

Rajni is missing :rant:

jaaze
2nd June 2009, 10:33 AM
idhellam oru listu... :banghead:

Rajni is missing :rant:vidunga.. the list might be done by kilaas peeppil :yessir:

hattori_hanzo
2nd June 2009, 12:20 PM
The kind of films that is being churned out mostly does not need versatile talents. The kind of films that need versatile talents are not using one that should be. There is a serious mismatch going on. Just because the film that requires a versatile talent, uses a severely undertalented actor, the said artiste somewhat acquires the "versatile" tag. I agree on some, disagree on some.

Why isn't Dhanush in it?

can't agree more :clap:

NOV
2nd June 2009, 12:40 PM
From the present creed of heroes, I would vouch for the following to be versatile:

Kamalahasan
Surya
Vikram
Jeeva
Bharath
Madhavan
Danush

Shakthiprabha
2nd June 2009, 05:51 PM
Good list, except I would have loved to have Rajnikant in the list.

Jeeva
Madhavan
Nasar
Sathyaraj
Prakash Raj
Rajnikant
Surya
Kamalahasan

I would reframe the list as above

Sarna
2nd June 2009, 05:58 PM
Good list, except I would have loved to have Rajnikant in the list.

Jeeva
Madhavan
Nasar
Sathyaraj
Prakash Raj
Rajnikant
Surya
Kamalahasan

I would reframe the list as above

If Sathyaraj is a versatile actor, then Goundamani is a versatile comedian :lol2:

Jeeva ... versatile :rotfl3:

Rocky89
2nd June 2009, 06:20 PM
No doubt Jeeva is a versatile actor.

Kattradhu Thamizh, Ram estraa estraa

NOV
2nd June 2009, 07:00 PM
I think we should exclude ppl like Prakash Raj and Nassar, who are supporting actors rather than main leads.

Nass :thumbsup: In fact theres more. Including the weird E.

Nerd
2nd June 2009, 07:06 PM

Why isn't Dhanush in it?

can't agree more :clap:
:clap:

Vadivelu is more versatile than all of them in the list (except kamalahaasan).
*Naai sekar
*Theeppori Thirumugam
*Batista
*Kaippulla

Etc.

Raikkonen
2nd June 2009, 07:16 PM
vadivel versatile-ah?

he does the same role in most of the movies (coward rowdy). they are enjoyable.. but not versatile.

mareen
2nd June 2009, 07:20 PM
Behindwoods are cracking up... cracking up.... cracking up!

Raikkonen
2nd June 2009, 07:24 PM
enna mareen.. old trafford pakkama kathu vanga poneengala?? :lol:

Nerd
2nd June 2009, 07:26 PM
Raiks, :oops: Naan sonnadhai neenga sariyaa purinjikkalai. I was being sarcastic there. A slight deviation from the point Groucho made. Vadivel paarunga oru dada role, karate master role, politician role ellAm nadichirukkaar, so he is certainly versatile, who cares if he gives the same expression, same brand of comedy in all those roles :huh:

mareen
2nd June 2009, 07:26 PM
enna mareen.. old trafford pakkama kathu vanga poneengala?? :lol: :oops: :oops:

ippo kathu kamiya adikuthu. :oops:

mareen
2nd June 2009, 07:27 PM
vishal thaan versatile.

Avar heroine role koda nadipar. Pavam no one taking risks after "saba" iyappan :D

Raikkonen
2nd June 2009, 07:29 PM
Raiks, :oops: Naan sonnadhai neenga sariyaa purinjikkalai. I was being sarcastic there. A slight deviation from the point Groucho made. Vadivel paarunga oru dada role, karate master role, politician role ellAm nadichirukkaar, so he is certainly versatile, who cares if he gives the same expression, same brand of comedy in all those roles :huh:

:oops: sorry.. my bad.

good point though. :thumbsup:

NOV
2nd June 2009, 07:33 PM
instead of being sarcastic, wouldnt it be more positive if you could put forth your points on why your choice of hero can be consdiered versatile?

that will make the discussion fruitful.

Nerd
2nd June 2009, 07:47 PM
The list has most of the actors who can act. I disagree with the ordering. Versatility is not just *playing* different roles - how convincing the said actor was in those roles matters a lot.

Kamalahaasan
Maddy
Surya/Bharath/Dhanush

Nasser ellAm choice-la vittuttEn. Others don't qualify :mrgreen:

NOV
2nd June 2009, 07:51 PM
thats fine nerd. we all have our opinions.

I like maddy a lot too but just feel that he has not done many varied roles, avlOthaan. I liked his performance very much in Aayutha Ezhuththu and hope that he will have more chances to show his versatility.

Plum
2nd June 2009, 08:03 PM
Define versatility?

NOV
2nd June 2009, 08:20 PM
nalla vElai didnt ask for definition of actor. :rotfl3:

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080821231946AAID8t3

see first answer :thumbsup:

Plum
2nd June 2009, 08:25 PM
Ipdi edagoodama badhil sonna? Once you say sivaji ganesan, thread has to be closed, so? Vutta dictionary.com-ku link koduppenga pola?
Give me your answer without quoting elsewhere.

Plum
2nd June 2009, 08:25 PM
But from that link, second answer:

Hrithik Roshan , because

He can act in love story films like kaho naa pyar hai which was a super hit and got many awards.
He can act in army related films like Lakshya in which he was praised for acting & dancing(main aisa kyun hoon)
He can do the role of a mentally disabled person like in koi mil gaya which was also a hit.
He is the first Indian super hero with the film Krrish which was also a hit.
He can do negative roles like in the movie Dhoom 2 which was a super hit and got him many awards.
He can do highly risky role like Emperor Akbar in the movie Jodhaa Akbar which grossed 100 crores in just 17 days (record).
He is known as the best dancer in bollywood with cool moves like in Krazzy 4
His body and greek-god looks is the inspiration for many youngsters.Style icon of the year 2008.
He has good height and also he is a good person.
Do you need anything more to prove that he is the most versatile actor of Indian films ?
Check out http://www.hrithikrules.com for more info.

Case closed. Thread-ai lock pannungappa

jaaze
2nd June 2009, 09:11 PM
DVD is also versatile - Digital Versatile Disc 8-)

HonestRaj
2nd June 2009, 10:15 PM
ennai ellam indha aatathulaye serthukkamateenga :lol:

but my man is more versatile esp. in kaakki chattai... than those in the list...

NOV
3rd June 2009, 05:41 AM
10. Prasanna / Prithviraj
9. Arya / Jeeva
8. Pasupathy
7. Madhavan
6. Nasar
5. Sathyaraj
4. Prakash Raj
3. Vikram
2. Surya
1. Kamalahasan

NOV
3rd June 2009, 05:42 AM
1. Kamalahasan
2. Surya
3. Vikram
4. Jeeva
5. Bharath
6. Madhavan
7. Danush

NOV
3rd June 2009, 05:44 AM
1. Kamalahasan
2. Surya
3. Rajnikant
4. Prakash Raj
5. Sathyaraj
6. Nasar
7. Madhavan
8. Jeeva

NOV
3rd June 2009, 05:46 AM
1. Kamalahaasan
2. Maddy
3. Surya/Bharath/Dhanush

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 05:50 AM
Lot of reservations as TFM has scarcity of versatile actors. irukkaradha vechu paatha

Kamal
Rajini
Nagesh
Nasser
Surya
Madhavan

Danush, Bharath - innum konjam edhirpaakkaren...

equanimus
3rd June 2009, 02:24 PM
I completely agree on Nasser, but Nagesh?

NOV
3rd June 2009, 02:27 PM
I seriously think we should limit it to main artistes.

jaaze
3rd June 2009, 02:28 PM
I seriously think we should limit it to main artistes.how do you identify main artistes :?

eg. Vikram in and Barath out? :?

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 02:32 PM
I completely agree on Nasser, but Nagesh?
mm.. illa-ngareengala?
Aboorva , Nammavar, Magalir Mattum (and some obscure 'character' roles). yellathulayum Nagesh 'touch' irukkum but appadi paatha one sees "Robert De Niro" in all his films except a very few.

Cases in point pathala-ngareengala, adhuvum oru vidhathula unmai dhaan...

Plum
3rd June 2009, 02:37 PM
equa, what versatility are we talking about here? Modhalla, lets agree on a common definition fo what constitutes versatility - else each person goes in a direction unintelligible to others and LOL icons.

jaaze
3rd June 2009, 02:39 PM
In a layman's definition, it is simply carrying out many different types of roles with perfection.

groucho070
3rd June 2009, 02:39 PM
Pre-Apoorva, Nagesh already established himself as good character actor. He is one of the strongest case in point of how a good comedian can also be great dramatic actor (as proven also in Hollywood....and at the same time I am not including Vivek here).

Versatility here means what? Ability to do many types of role? Sure, any actor can do, but can they do well. What we see is indeed cases of actors attempting many role, but do they excell in it?

Or versatility as in able to do things other than acting and do it well. Appadi paartha Sakalakalavallan-nu oruthar mattume.

jaaze
3rd June 2009, 02:42 PM
Or versatility as in able to do things other than acting and do it well. Appadi paartha Sakalakalavallan-nu oruthar mattume.definitely not this definition

NOV
3rd June 2009, 02:46 PM
nagEsh, imo, is many things, but versatility is not his strongest point. which doesnt really matter, since that was not required of him.

equanimus
3rd June 2009, 02:46 PM
Well, to "see Robert De Niro" is to be "aware of," in some sense, how he'll play a role, not to say that the "how" is the same all the time. But with Nagesh, I think the "how" is often quite the same. One of his chief exploits is his physicality, and again he puts it to use the same way in most of his films.

Don't mistake me, I'm a big fan of Nagesh, and like him a lot in 'character' roles. Especially when he's in the tragicomic mode, he's superb. His tour de force in 'nammavar' or his Suri in 'abUrva rAgangaL' come to mind. Just that I think he's not really a versatile actor.

Plum
3rd June 2009, 02:47 PM
"In a layman's definition, it is simply carrying out many different types of roles with perfection.
"
Different type of roles - idhula kooda, naan 80's-la chinna payyana irukkarache, vaLarum actors-lam pEtti kodutha ipdi solluvanga:
Interviewer: What is your dream role?

Vethu actor(say Pandian): Naan idhu varaikkum Doctor, engineer, policeman, rowdy, gramathu kaattan indha vesham ellam katti irukken. Innum Military veerana nadikkalai. Adhulayum nadichu naan oru versatile actor-nu niroobikkanum.

:-).
grocuho is getting close to a definition.

jaaze
3rd June 2009, 02:50 PM
:lol:
:rotfl: @ the random interviewed actor

of course we are not talking about occupations as roles to be acted out here

more like Vikram - from a Sethu to a nice decent role in Dhil, to a more commercial Saamy, Pithamagan, Anniyan

you can see some versatility in his acting

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 02:52 PM
Well, to "see Robert De Niro" is to be "aware of," in some sense, how he'll play a role, not to say that the "how" is the same all the time. But with Nagesh, I think the "how" is often quite the same. One of his chief exploits is his physicality, and again he puts it to use the same way in most of his films.

De Niro's tilted head, drooping mouth, dialogue delivery?
Relative-a Nagesh ku adhigam nu solreengala? Or, apart from these De Niro brings something different in each role nu solreengala?

P.S: Let not anyone misunderstand that i'm comparing DN's versatility with Nagesh's. Namma oor kanakku padi paathu solren, avvalavu dhaan

groucho070
3rd June 2009, 02:53 PM
Plum :lol:

Back in the days, I used to translate Tamizh written interviews of stars in English for a movie publication. Each time I see the word "intha padathula different-aana role panniirukken", I'd be fuming mad.

Athey moonji, athey kural, athey body language, athey modulation...give me a break. And then of course, get-up mathina Kamal agiduvaangganu innoru neneppu.

And then there is "actor-proof" role that Vikram hijacked successfully. I call that cheating. His take on Anniyan was one of the most hillarious piece of circuis freak act I had seen in years...wait, maybe I have never seen anything as hilarious as that. National award my.... :evil:

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 02:53 PM
:rotfl: @ the random interviewed actor

of course we are not talking about occupations as roles to be acted out here

more like Vikram - from a Sethu to a nice decent role in Dhil, to a more commercial Saamy, Pithamagan, Anniyan

you can see some versatility in his acting
idha thaanga Pandian-um sonnaaru, avara pathi :razz:

NOV
3rd June 2009, 02:57 PM
I seriously think we should limit it to main artistes. I seriously think we should limit it to TAMIL artistes. :D :lol:

equanimus
3rd June 2009, 03:01 PM
Relative-a Nagesh ku adhigam nu solreengala? Or, apart from these De Niro brings something different in each role nu solreengala?
I'm sure you'd agree that it is wrong to judge an actor's range based on what's plainly visible. nAn kaNNukkuth theriyAdha vishayangaLap paththi solREn. Intensity, mood etc. displayed by way of one's physicality. What the actor does to the character by "playing" it.
P.S: Let not anyone misunderstand that i'm comparing DN's versatility with Nagesh's. Namma oor kanakku padi paathu solren, avvalavu dhaan
Of course, we need that calibration all the time.

groucho070
3rd June 2009, 03:09 PM
One of the attributes that I like in Madhavan is his ability to blend in the film.

He hardly does getup changes, maybe twice to play two different rugged individuals.

Mostly, he would service the story as we saw even recently in Evano Oruvan and Yavarum Nalam, two totally different films. I doubt if he will do a film playing a hunchback, or a blind, or a multiple personaly sicko. He knows his limitation and works around it beautifully and chooses films that can best use whatever talent he has.

That is a mark of a good actor. I don't know if he is versatile or not, since the definition is not so clear. But he is a fine, fine actor.

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 03:13 PM
I'm sure you'd agree that it is wrong to judge an actor's range based on what's plainly visible. nAn kaNNukkuth theriyAdha vishayangaLap paththi solREn. Intensity, mood etc. displayed by way of one's physicality. What the actor does to the character by "playing" it.
Adha thaan naan "Or, apart from these De Niro brings something different in each role nu solreengala?" nu solli/kettirundhen. Not necessarily differences in physically observable traits or "habits".

Aboorva - Though you see the usual Nageshisms, the meanness was there which was a revelation to me.

Nammavar - I hadn't seen Nagesh in that mode. I mean i hadn't seen anyone in that mode

Innum edhavadhu kudthirundha indha madhiri vishayangal veliya vandhirukkum nu nenaikkaren

Plum
3rd June 2009, 03:18 PM
equa, now we talk.

Intensity, mood etc. displayed by way of one's physicality
What the actor does to the character by "playing" it.

And then there is "actor-proof" role that Vikram hijacked successfully

This is a good base to start evaluating candidates.
P.S: I dont quite hate Vikram to the intensity that CR, groucho etc have displayed in this forum;he is pretty decent but limited - the very opposite of versatile but he is not bad at all. His national award was for Pithamagan Groucho not Anniyan. And remember this, the man who lost out to Vikram wsa Hritik Roshan for Koi Mil Gaya so I am sure you'd agree with me when you say that in the context of that year, Vikram's NA was well-deserved. However, as a counter to your Viikram-takes-actor-proof role theory, Upendra, who I would have thought quite was well placed to breeze through that role in terms pf physical screen presence, style of acting and screen image, did fail to capture the same intensity as Vikram in the Kannada version

P_R
3rd June 2009, 03:21 PM
Ditto Plum
He is not that bad at all
The only thing annoying about the national award win (PithAmagan) is that he pipped Kamal (VirumANdi) to get it. Otherwise nothing to grudge.

Plum
3rd June 2009, 03:23 PM
PR, if Kamal's Virumandi was the same year, then the quirks of our NA selection process means that he wsa not even in comptetion for the award. Hritik Roshan, per widely publicised reports then, missed out narrowly to Vikram that year. Kamal finals-ku kooda qualify aagalai :-)

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 03:24 PM
For the record, I find Vikram to be a decent actor in his range but not versatile.
The choice comments are for his remarks about Thalaivar - thats not changing my opinion on him as an actor, obviously

equanimus
3rd June 2009, 03:26 PM
Hey, I like Vikram too. idhula enna thappu? Certainly one of the good actors around. It's not as if Tamil cinema is blessed with the likes of Irrfan Khan!

groucho070
3rd June 2009, 03:26 PM
Plum, I know it was for Pitha Magan. I am disputing that too. That's a plain actor-proof role. You dirty yourself up, get that dye done, lose weight (again), and act dumb and voila! Award committee will kiss your feet. It's a shortcut to glory.

I like the fact that PR brought Virumandi. Now, that is what I call a great performance .Sure, Kamal has nice facial hair. But it stops there, the rest is how he presented the internal conflict...the transformation from a happy go lucky village youth, and how he takes in when hell descends on him with that serious violent incident, the wisdom he picks up in jail. His interview session with Rohini itself is enough to pick up dozens of awards.

What did Vikram do? Stiff walking and some grunts.

Edit: By the way, I just don't like Vikram when he attempts heavy duty acting. But I like him fair enough in straight forward Masala films. He is good as an action hero.

equanimus
3rd June 2009, 03:27 PM
PR, if Kamal's Virumandi was the same year, then the quirks of our NA selection process means that he wsa not even in comptetion for the award. Hritik Roshan, per widely publicised reports then, missed out narrowly to Vikram that year. Kamal finals-ku kooda qualify aagalai :-)
Plum,
No, similarly, the Tamil media reports did say that Vikram pipped Kamal for the award. I remember reading somewhere that Vikram, Kamal and Hrithik were the 3 'finalists.'

Plum
3rd June 2009, 03:30 PM
Plum, I know it was for Pitha Magan. I am disputing that too. That's a plain actor-proof role. You dirty yourself up, get that dye done, lose weight (again), and act dumb and voila! Award committee will kiss your feet. It's a shortcut to glory

Then, I recommend you the Kannada version of the same movie, whose name I have forgotten but rajasaranam might remember, where Upendra, whom you might not know about but has all the necessary ingredients even more than Vikram to excel in that role, screw it up and ham badly. It is not at all actor-proof. Imagine Madhavan in the same role, for instance.

equanimus
3rd June 2009, 03:34 PM
His take on Anniyan was one of the most hillarious piece of circuis freak act I had seen in years...
Couldn't agree more. Horrendous is the word. I can't still come to terms with the fact that this performance was well appreciated.

But I like him fair enough in straight forward Masala films. He is good as an action hero.
Completely agree again. Take a film like Saamy. If you look past the standard gymnastics, he's a really compelling presence. (I'd go so far as to say his Saamy is much more compelling than the vastly overrated Anbuchelvan of 'kAkka kAkka'.) I like him in Majaa too. Graceful and understated comic presence.

groucho070
3rd June 2009, 03:34 PM

Hate illangga. Well, I am sure any role done by Vikram, can be done by others. But he do stand out in action role. Nichayamaa paarpen, I enjoy his roles in Dhil, Dhool, Samy...but missed the recent ones. Good actor in action flicks.

Plum
3rd June 2009, 03:36 PM
equa, on Anniyan, was it Anniyan alone or the more-celebrated(more-pooh-poohed) Remo and Ambi that grated on your nerves?

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 03:36 PM
His take on Anniyan was one of the most hillarious piece of circuis freak act I had seen in years...
Couldn't agree more. Horrendous is the word. I can't still come to terms with the fact that this performance was well appreciated.

And Anna Vettikad-a yellam innum "critic" nu nadamaada vitrukkaanga namma naatla

Kalyasi
3rd June 2009, 03:37 PM
Plum, I know it was for Pitha Magan. I am disputing that too. That's a plain actor-proof role. You dirty yourself up, get that dye done, lose weight (again), and act dumb and voila! Award committee will kiss your feet. It's a shortcut to glory

Then, I recommend you the Kannada version of the same movie, whose name I have forgotten but rajasaranam might remember, where Upendra, whom you might not know about but has all the necessary ingredients even more than Vikram to excel in that role, screw it up and ham badly. It is not at all actor-proof. Imagine Madhavan in the same role, for instance.

Yes I too saw it... What Upendra did was, reproduce vikram's reaction in each and every frame of the kannada version... Thats why it looked so bad... Btw I didn't find anything amazing with Vikram's performance as well... Here I agree with groucho....

Plum
3rd June 2009, 03:40 PM

Hate illangga. Well, I am sure any role done by Vikram, can be done by others. But he do stand out in action role. Nichayamaa paarpen, I enjoy his roles in Dhil, Dhool, Samy...but missed the recent ones. Good actor in action flicks.

But Pithamagan by Madhavan or even Surya konjam horrendous-a dhaan irukku nenachu paarka. He did bring something of his own to that role. I can agree if you are talking about Sethu that anyone could have done it(Even Dr Rajasekar managed Sethu in Telugu half-decently despite his age:Sudeep did pretty well in Kannada; Only Salman Khan was total damage in that role). You must grant him that. Curiously enough, I liked him most in Majaa(as equa perceptively observed) and way back in Ullaasam.
P.S: hate ellam kidding dhaan - glad you saw that and I didnt have to explain that to you

P_R
3rd June 2009, 03:41 PM
Actor-proof ellAm romba over

I can't think of many people who can convincingly participate in the iLangkAththu veesuthE sequences. SuryA-kkE konjam kastappadum-nu thONudhu.

Kalyasi
3rd June 2009, 03:43 PM

But Pithamagan by Madhavan or even Surya konjam horrendous-a dhaan irukku nenachu paarka. He did bring something of his own to that role. I can agree if you are talking about Sethu that anyone could have done it(Even Dr Rajasekar managed Sethu in Telugu half-decently despite his age:Sudeep did pretty well in Kannada; Only Salman Khan was total damage in that role). You must grant him that. Curiously enough, I liked him most in Majaa(as equa perceptively observed) and way back in Ullaasam.
P.S: hate ellam kidding dhaan - glad you saw that and I didnt have to explain that to you

I liked Vikram in Saamy, Dhool, Majaa and Sethu.... apart from that none......

Maybe Chemistry, Physics nu sollaraangale athuva irukumo....I guess his Chemistry with Pasupathy worked out well...

Kalyasi
3rd June 2009, 03:46 PM

I can't think of many people who can convincingly participate in the iLangkAththu veesuthE sequences. SuryA-kkE konjam kastappadum-nu thONudhu.

Aamam Surya oda Motta Gajini role Sahikala... But Chithan oda mannerisms or Sanjay Ramasamy oda mannerisms ellam enakku konjam Artificial a irunthuchu.... It should have been more Subtle like that of Sivam in Anbe Sivam.....

equanimus
3rd June 2009, 03:46 PM
equa, on Anniyan, was it Anniyan alone or the more-celebrated(more-pooh-poohed) Remo and Ambi that grated on your nerves?
sariya theriyalinga. Remo and Anniyan were bozos anyway, but I thought he overdid Ambi too quite a bit. Here I was talking specifically about that police station scene where he's supposed to be switching between different personae.

Kalyasi
3rd June 2009, 03:49 PM
sariya theriyalinga. Remo and Anniyan were bozos anyway, but I thought he overdid Ambi too quite a bit. Here I was talking specifically about that police station scene where he's supposed to be switching between different personae.

:exactly:

P_R
3rd June 2009, 03:49 PM
Only thing more annoying than the performance is Anniyan is the fact that it is often brought up as an example of good acting.

Plum
3rd June 2009, 04:01 PM
Only thing more annoying than the performance is Anniyan is the fact that it is often brought up as an example of good acting.

Exactly.

On a side note, if Remo sounded like wannabe-cool rather than real-cool, then does that not validate that performance? Look at it this way - Remo is just Ambi-redux, and Ambi there is in his second personality is merely trying to ape the cool dudes he has observed who the heroine digs; in other words, Remo is infact wannabe-cool by character design. Appo why fret about the Remo role saying he played it like wannabe-cool rather than real-cool? I think he was spot-on there, though I realise it may have been unintentional but I dont want to rule out the possibility that that was intentional.

Anniyan - the character is a wash out anyway.
Ambi - this is where he annoyed most people I guess. His brahmin tamil didnt wash and he overdid it, but the character is supposed to be annoying and annoy he did, didnt he? Again, intentional-a unintentional-a-nu dhaan theriyalai.
( One scene I thought went well was when he performs that proud walk when Vivek reads out the love letter to Sada. That was spot-on.)

P_R
3rd June 2009, 04:07 PM
Plum, regarding Remo , I am unwilling to give that much credit to Vikram and Shankar by even considering it could have been intentional. It is a post-fact reasoning you are attempting on something that does NOT deserve that kind of attention :-)

Even the proud-walk was look-I-am-being-funny. I liked him better in some other scenes like the pre-ThiruvayyAru scene at home

Vivek: kaN adi
Vikram: spontaneously slaps his eye (mokkai but it was Vikram's earnestness that works here)

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 04:16 PM
Plum, regarding Remo , I am unwilling to give that much credit to Vikram and Shankar by even considering it could have been intentional. It is a post-fact reasoning you are attempting on something that does NOT deserve that kind of attention :-)

In fact, SPD/MPD itself is given way too much credit and has been abused to death that it deserves an unconditional worldwide ban

P_R
3rd June 2009, 04:19 PM
Charlie Kaufman: The only idea more overused than serial killers is multiple personality. On top of that, you explore the notion that cop and criminal are really two aspects of the same person. See every cop movie ever made for other examples of this.
Donald Kaufman: Mom called it "psychologically taut".

littlemaster1982
3rd June 2009, 04:20 PM

In fact, SPD/MPD itself is given way too much credit and has been abused to death that it deserves an unconditional worldwide ban

Plum
3rd June 2009, 04:21 PM
As such, frankly, despite my not rating Shankar, ahem...vandhu...adhavadhu, I found Anniyan actually tolerable. Adhaan indha post-facto reasoning ellam vandhu tholaikkudhu.
InnonNu, romba periya achievement illainnalum, Anniyan addressed the MPD issue better than Chandramukhi, IMO. Tweedledum-tweedledee dhaan but dum was slightly better than dee. If I am asked to choose one Shankar movie to watch or be shot, I'll choose Anniyan over every other movie of his.
(Maddy vandhuttu, that is the only non-ARR movie of Shankar adhunala dhaan Plum-ku pudichudhunu freudian analysis ellam panna poraar :-D )

littlemaster1982
3rd June 2009, 04:22 PM
(Maddy vandhuttu, that is the only non-ARR movie of Shankar adhunala dhaan Plum-ku pudichudhunu freudian analysis ellam panna poraar :-D )

Idhu disclaimer-a :P

P_R
3rd June 2009, 04:31 PM
If I am asked to choose one Shankar movie to watch or be shot, I'll choose Anniyan over every other movie of his.

அண்ணன் அஞ்சாசிங்கம் சங்கம் சார்பாக கண்டனத்தை தெரிவித்துக் கொள்கிறேன் :x

SamoogappadangaL GendilmEn, Indian > Anniyan
Among others..even Jeans with Pirasanth is more entertaining than Anniyan.

Plum
3rd June 2009, 04:37 PM
jeans? :hammer: (ivlo emotional-a response varudhunna evlo affect aayiruppennu paarunga)

6 Reasons Why Jeans Loses Deposit
===========
6. Plastic Rai
5. Plastic Rai -2
4. Lakshmi's seshtais
3. Raju Sundaram
2. Nasser (Hamfest)
1. Do I even need to tell this?

littlemaster1982
3rd June 2009, 04:37 PM
I suppose 1 is not what I think :twisted:

Shakthiprabha
3rd June 2009, 04:39 PM
1 must be radhika :D

Plum
3rd June 2009, 04:40 PM
No, not at all. 1 is the most obvious missing factor in the list.

Plum
3rd June 2009, 04:41 PM
SP, radhika is a good guess but I guess that role suits her so she wasnt annoying that much. Prashanth padathula #1 annoying factor vera enna irukka mudiyum?

Shakthiprabha
3rd June 2009, 04:42 PM
:D hehe. I knew the answer (what hubbers feel) summa oru scene kku thaan.

littlemaster1982
3rd June 2009, 04:42 PM
No, not at all. 1 is the most obvious missing factor in the list.

I know :) Summa oru paraparappukkaga :lol:

P_R
3rd June 2009, 04:51 PM
6. Plastic Rai
5. Plastic Rai -2
Yeah she can't act. But... heh heh.

4. Lakshmi's seshtais
Not that bad. Particularly post return with SV Shekar joining the act.

Janaki SabEsh: vyAzhakkizhamai
SVS: RajinikAnthukkA
JS: ...illai...rAghavEndra swAmikku
SVS: reNdum oNNu dhaanE

Lakshmi: aaththA
SVS: pOi vEppilai vaangittu vaa mA

3. Raju Sundaram
I was recently mentioning to CR that I actually kinda like him in this movie

mAdhEsh enga kula saami pEruyyA..orE oru dhadavai sariyA kooppiduyyA

Nasser: Oh thambikku dhaan operation-A ?
RS: No...kAkka mookkA

(Post interval scene)
RS: (to lakshmi) adiyE sathi leelAvathi

RS: naan ippo ball-ayE change paNNittEn (I don't know why I find that funny but I do)

And of course the tonsure scene
RS: idathu pakkam aNNen...valadhu pakkam thambi....lava kusA

2. Nasser (Hamfest)
Oh ! I actually liked him in this movie.
Except the pEchiyappan as NAchiyappan scenes in Chennai I thought he did fairly well.

Thirumaran
3rd June 2009, 04:58 PM
innoru Top 10 aa :evil: :yessir:

Plum
3rd June 2009, 05:04 PM
Sari, versatility-ku thirumba varuvom.
Requirements:(collected so far from discussions)
1. Ability to blend into the film, irrespective of the film's milieu, mood, theme, setting (Groucho projects his Candidate Madhavan in this light)
2. Variety of roles - not sure what this means though - let's say ability to emote a range of emotions
3. Should we bring in ability to do any accent - then Kamal thavira others lose deposit.

Innum rendu moonu factors add pannunga. Appuram case by case oru oru attribute-a analyse pannalam

P_R
3rd June 2009, 05:12 PM
3. Should we bring in ability to do any accent - then Kamal thavira others lose deposit.
Bharath did a good job in Veyyil and KAdhal

Shakthiprabha
3rd June 2009, 05:18 PM
One more reasoning is to deliver a same theme or even boring cliche in unique style.

* Thats where many heros and heroines fall and crumble ( I dont wanna name them)

* Thats what most comedians lack (including vivek, vadivel, kaundamani, senthil, svs, ygm etc where as nagesh and manorama stands apart, they can bring the same message again and again and would still have u glued to the screen )

P_R
3rd June 2009, 05:20 PM
One more reasoning is to deliver a same theme or even boring cliche in unique style.

* Thats where most comedians lack (including vivek, vadivel, kaundamani, senthil, svs, ygm etc where as nagesh and manorama stands apart, he can bring the same message again and again and would still have u glued to the screen )

Can you please elaborate ? I am not sure I got this.

Shakthiprabha
3rd June 2009, 05:22 PM
My personal opinion remains, I can watch few of them (not necessarily as comedians) in same themes and scenarios, doing almost similar roles, where as most others bore you, in similar roles after few successful attempts in few stamped dialogues and presentations or even expressions

NOV
3rd June 2009, 06:06 PM
Appuram case by case oru oru attribute-a analyse pannalamI knew this was going to happen when Plum asked for "meaning" of versatility.

inimEl thread ambEl thaan, yaaralaiyum kaappaaththa mudiyaadhu :yessir:

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 06:21 PM
My personal opinion remains, I can watch few of them (not necessarily as comedians) in same themes and scenarios, doing almost similar roles, where as most others bore you, in similar roles after few successful attempts in few stamped dialogues and presentations or even expressions
Examples kudunga please...

Raikkonen
3rd June 2009, 06:28 PM
topping star prasanth is very versatile..

there's noone sexier in lady costumes than prasanth.

comedy = no.1 (unintentional).. action (super.. all gymnastic moves).. song (jumping jack in sideways).. and sentimental scenes... :cry: incredible.. sentimental-ah mental aakiduvaru..

Shakthiprabha
3rd June 2009, 06:29 PM
Ennanga idhu vamba pochu!

I just feel I can NOT get bored of few artists whilst I lose interest in many artrists very fast. One who keeps u engaged and wins ur interest each time with different roles or even with same role wins by a solid margin. Its a kind of versatality where they make u sit back and watch them in any given role (even repeated roles).

That I feel is the reason for few elder artists to STAND WITH TIMES and others get washed away in a decade or so.
Its a trait which many dont posses.

The crux is, 'காலத்தை வென்றவர்கள்'. If u analyse them, then most are versatile.

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 06:37 PM
Ennanga idhu vamba pochu!

I just feel I can NOT get bored of few artists whilst I lose interest in many artrists very fast. One who keeps u engaged and wins ur interest each time with different roles or even with same role wins by a solid margin. Its a kind of versatality where they make u sit back and watch them in any given role (even repeated roles).

That I feel is the reason for few elder artists to STAND WITH TIMES and others get washed away in a decade or so.
Its a trait which many dont posses.

The crux is, 'காலத்தை வென்றவர்கள்'. If u analyse them, then most are versatile.
Ada, avinga yaarunnu ketten-nga..
Yerkanave solliyirundha mannikkavum...

P_R
3rd June 2009, 06:38 PM
CR they are: Nagesh, Manorama
Matter over.

Shakthiprabha
3rd June 2009, 06:39 PM
30-40 years mela endha oru artist (in any important role) field-la irukaangalo, field la irunthathoda mattum illaama impact create panraangalo, avangaLil palar.

Shakthiprabha
3rd June 2009, 06:39 PM
CR they are: Nagesh, Manorama
Matter over.

:roll: I dont wanna name others, as I aint interested in controversy. Now lets say, matter over :|

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 06:42 PM
Nagesh-kaaga yerkanave vaadhaadiyirukken, and somewhat debatable

Manorama - Of course, she is versatile, no matter what one may say about going over the top (avinga versatile illenna vera yaaru versatile)

SP,
Controversy engalukku karumbu saapudra madhiri :razz:

Shakthiprabha
3rd June 2009, 06:45 PM
bala, pr, others,

My point here is they NEED NOT BE a character artist or a COMEDIAN or even a GOOD artist, but is flexible in any given role and withstood times.

Avanga performance bore adikaama irukka. WIN. avlo thaan. Therez something MAGICAL about this versataility of withstanding times.

Best examples here are kamalhassan, rajnikant, sivaji, mgr kooda thaan ... (though how good he is an artist would lead to controversy and I aint game for it)

Thats why I feel sathyaraj, nasar etc are good candidates.

Nerd
3rd June 2009, 07:38 PM

Three much'nga. I think Sujatha wrote about it (or was it in the 100 days function?) in katrathum petrathum - that Ambi was meant be annoying and Ambi/Sadha should see Remo as a *cool* person and Anniyan = Superman.

MADDY
3rd June 2009, 07:41 PM
versatility hmmm

Kamal
Sivaji
Rajini
Balaiah
Naseer
annan anja singam

raghuvaran, madhavan just miss :D

mathhavanga ellam versatility kaatta irritate pannuvaanga.......even kamal, NT have irritated but they are just unbelievably good :)

Plum
3rd June 2009, 07:46 PM
Nerd, neenga table-ku endha pakkam irukkenganu puriyalai?

P_R
3rd June 2009, 07:49 PM

Three much'nga. I think Sujatha wrote about it (or was it in the 100 days function?) in katrathum petrathum - that Ambi was meant be annoying and Ambi/Sadha should see Remo as a *cool* person and Anniyan = Superman.

Sari adhukku enna ippo ?

Plum is alleging that Remo was unnaturally cool (and thus annoying) because the character was trying to exude coolness as perceived by Ambi. That is giving too much credit-nu sonnEn.
Plum, naan sariyA thaanE pEsurEn.

Nerd
3rd June 2009, 07:51 PM
Nerd, neenga table-ku endha pakkam irukkenganu puriyalai?
Shankar/Sujatha characterization + Vikram's acting'kku support! But I would not call anniyan the best Shankar movie. It's Boys followed by mudhalvan, indhiyan, gendil, anniyan, kAdhalan, BOSS, Jeans.

P_R
3rd June 2009, 07:56 PM
Gentleman > Indian > Mudhalvan ~ Jeans > Anniyan> Sivaji>Kadhalan ~ Boys

villan007
3rd June 2009, 08:05 PM
Plum, naan sariyA thaanE pEsurEn.

Plum
3rd June 2009, 08:27 PM
PR, naan ennamo post-facto theory-a dhaan start panninen but Nerd solradhai paartha Sujatha-ku lesa apdi oru thought irundhirukkum pola? Sujathukku kooda credit kidayadha?
( Having said that, there is still scope for Vikram's execution of that conception of Sujatha being an accident rather than design)

Plum
3rd June 2009, 08:49 PM
Plum wrote:
4. Lakshmi's seshtais

Idhula Lakshmi pangu romba kuraivu-nu ninaikaren. Vengala kiNNam vena tharalam

Plum
3rd June 2009, 08:51 PM
Appuram case by case oru oru attribute-a analyse pannalamI knew this was going to happen when Plum asked for "meaning" of versatility.

inimEl thread ambEl thaan, yaaralaiyum kaappaaththa mudiyaadhu :yessir:

oru moderator pesara pecha idhu? Appoint agaamale inge oruthan kashtapattu discussion-lam moderate pannikittu irukken - konjam kooda respeet-e illama...

Plum
3rd June 2009, 08:54 PM
Sari, versatility-ku thirumba varuvom.
Requirements:(collected so far from discussions)
1. Ability to blend into the film, irrespective of the film's milieu, mood, theme, setting (Groucho projects his Candidate Madhavan in this light)
2. Variety of roles - not sure what this means though - let's say ability to emote a range of emotions
3. Should we bring in ability to do any accent.

Innum rendu moonu factors add pannunga. Appuram case by case oru oru attribute-a analyse pannalam

SP sonna parameter enakku puriyave illai so choice-la vuttudaren. Oruthan oruthana aarayalama?
Vikram patri thevaiyana aLavu alasi vittadhalum, melum avaradhu thagudhigaL satru kuraivagave uLLadhaga oraLavukku elloralum oppukoLLapattuvittamaiyAlum, avarai modhalla reject panniduvom. He has mixed results in 1 and average in 2. 3 pathi sollave venaam
Who's next?

app_engine
3rd June 2009, 08:58 PM
பாவம் நாகேஷ், அவரை உட்டுருங்க...versatile'ன்னு பேர் வாங்கறதுக்காக அவர் கத்திச்சண்டை, குதிரையேற்றம் எல்லாம் பண்ண முடியாது :-)

Plum
3rd June 2009, 09:30 PM
app, apdi yaarum sollave illai. MakkaL ellam kashtapattu parameter ellam define panninanga, Adhai naan compile vera panninaen. neenga cool-a thavarana interpretation eduthuttu vaadhidareenga...:-(

P_R
3rd June 2009, 09:58 PM
Plum wrote:
4. Lakshmi's seshtais

Idhula Lakshmi pangu romba kuraivu-nu ninaikaren. Vengala kiNNam vena tharalam

That was a digression spurred by the mention of SVS
Anyway list of worst-lErndhu vengaLa kiNNam varaikkum vandhadhukku thanks :-)

Sarna
3rd June 2009, 10:10 PM
Gentleman > Indian > Mudhalvan ~ Jeans > Anniyan> Sivaji>Kadhalan ~ Boys

1. Mudhalvan & Boys ( dunno which movie to put in the top)
3. Jeans
4. Indian
all other Shanker movies are craps IMHO 8-)

app_engine
3rd June 2009, 10:54 PM
Shivaji is the best of all Shankar movies, IMO!

All others (that I've watched) are many steps below!

app_engine
3rd June 2009, 10:56 PM
Plum:-)

IMO, "veeram" is a necessary quality to be displayed on screen to be called versatile. Nagesh adhil ambEl :-)

So, by my definition, all those "character" artistes are out.

Only heroes & villains can be counted in!

groucho070
4th June 2009, 06:50 AM
Plum, first of all let us not include seniors here. As SP said, they have been around, proved their talents, their watchamacallit versatility and are still at it. So, Kamal, Rajini & Sathyaraj should be out as candidates (yen Prabhu-va podulanu kooda tonuthu, but leave him out too). If so, then my candidate is definitely Madhavan.

In fact, 10 years ago, I'd have nominated Prabhu Deva too.

Sarna
4th June 2009, 07:09 AM
Plum, first of all let us not include seniors here. As SP said, they have been around, proved their talents, their watchamacallit versatility and are still at it. So, Kamal, Rajini & Sathyaraj should be out as candidates (yen Prabhu-va podulanu kooda tonuthu, but leave him out too). If so, then my candidate is definitely Madhavan.

Prabhu ... versatile... absolutely 8-)

but Sathyaraj :? like gounder... one dimentional :twisted:

Vivasaayi
4th June 2009, 07:24 AM
sathyaraj is versatile.

kamal,sathyaraj,rajni and prabhu ..in that order.

rajni "for the past tonty pive years" ore rolethan..vera vera padam.

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 09:43 AM

PR... unga kittErundhu idhai nAn edhirpArkala.. nenachu pArkavE nArAsamA irukkudhu mAmA...

Sarna
4th June 2009, 10:01 AM

PR... unga kittErundhu idhai nAn edhirpArkala.. nenachu pArkavE nArAsamA irukkudhu mAmA...

Vikram nalla actor dhaana :?

but Surya comment was 100 much :rant: :curse: adhenna Surya'kE :angry2:

Plum
4th June 2009, 10:13 AM

Prabhu Deva-va? (Read in Vivek Style with a high stress on va-va and a mouth open up to the ears)
Groucho, ipdilllam shock kodukkadheenga

Sarna
4th June 2009, 10:28 AM
ipdilllam shock kodukkadheenga

adhu prashanth nadichcha padam :P

one more shock ungalukku :poke:

groucho070
4th June 2009, 10:38 AM
Prabhu Deva-va? (Read in Vivek Style with a high stress on va-va and a mouth open up to the ears)
Groucho, ipdilllam shock kodukkadheenga :lol: I can imagine that very well. In fact, the same Vivek might agree with me.

But as I said, ten years ago. Ippo onnum recommend pannura mathiri illa.

PD was doing very well then, he was moving about in films of different genre, may it be teen love, comedy, or pure masala. He blended well with Kamal in Kadhala Kadhala (I like the film, so sue me) and really acted his baggy pants off in a little known gem of a movie called Yezhaiyin Sirippinile. I really liked his performance here.

Plus he can be inventive. He brings much more to the table. 10 rooba kodutha 9 roobavila nadichi, estra massage service koduppaaru.

And we know how good he is in comedy, a trait largely lacking in some of the actors of his (my) generation and younger.

Of course, he's a lousy dancer :wink:

Plum
4th June 2009, 10:58 AM
Ezhaiyin Sirippile - veLakannai thinna korangu maadhiri expression kodupparu senti scenes-la. Sari vidunga, ungaLukkku pudichirundha okay.
"PD was doing very well then, he was moving about in films of different genre, may it be teen love, comedy, or pure masala"
Idhu ungaLukke konjam over-a theriyalaia? :-)
(vikram-ai ivlo thaakkarenga, indha VeLakennai Expression Master-ku ivlo write -up- groucho, unga character-ai purinjikkave mudiyalai!)

Vivasaayi
4th June 2009, 11:05 AM
The monotonous actors apdinu thread potrundha interestinga irindhirukkum...

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 11:06 AM
Groucho,
Prabhu Deva :omg:

10 years back mattum enna pannitrundhaaru? Can you spot two differences in his performance(?) in any two films of his?

EKGI! :(

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 11:07 AM
Sathyaraj versatile-a idhuuvm too much a irukke...

groucho070
4th June 2009, 11:09 AM
veLakannai thinna korangu maadhiri :rotfl: :rotfl: Simile-la taakureyngga Plum-chettan. Really. But PD-ya vittudungga. Right now, after the seniors, my bet (one piggy bank) is on Madhavan.

Raikkonen
4th June 2009, 11:09 AM
Ezhaiyin Sirippile - veLakannai thinna korangu maadhiri expression kodupparu senti scenes-la. Sari vidunga, ungaLukkku pudichirundha okay.

:rotfl2:

athuvum nadippu thanungale

groucho070
4th June 2009, 11:12 AM
Groucho,
Prabhu Deva :omg:

10 years back mattum enna pannitrundhaaru? Can you spot two differences in his performance(?) in any two films of his?

EKGI! :(Actually, neethu nadicha padathilum, patthu varusham munna vantha padathilum not much difference. . Performance of his generation was bad all around, and he seemed to be the most animated one. Either that, or I was a easy customer, bought it lock, stock or barrel. :? Plus he did some variety of subjects, and he was the only on of his generation, then, I emphasise on then, to do comedy. But as I say, vittuduvom, athu pazhaya kathai.

groucho070
4th June 2009, 11:13 AM
Sathyaraj versatile-a idhuuvm too much a irukke...He gave varieties, but need not necessarily great in all of them. Originality-kku niraya marks kodukkalam.

P_R
4th June 2009, 11:16 AM

Hmm.. didn't get you.

I assume you meant what Sarna meant "adhu enna Surya-kkE".
If so I don't know what to say. In my books in the current crop Surya is the one actor from whom different types of performances can be brought out. So, to say that even he would not have been able to achieve the performance Vikram managed to get is a compliment to Vikram.

Or are you saying that I am underestimating Surya and that he could have pulled off Siththan ? :P

P_R
4th June 2009, 11:19 AM
Groucho, Prabhudeva is quite a natural and fluent actor and seriously underrated. But he was pretty much the same in all his films.

Plum
4th June 2009, 11:25 AM
Groucho, Prabhudeva is quite a natural and fluent actor and seriously underrated. But he was pretty much the same in all his films

PR... unga kittErundhu idhai nAn edhirpArkala.. nenachu pArkavE nArAsamA irukkudhu...

Raikkonen
4th June 2009, 11:27 AM
Groucho, Prabhudeva is quite a natural and fluent actor and seriously underrated. But he was pretty much the same in all his films

PR... unga kittErundhu idhai nAn edhirpArkala.. nenachu pArkavE nArAsamA irukkudhu...

:rotfl: enna kaiya pudicha izhutiya mathiri aayiduche intha comment

groucho070
4th June 2009, 11:37 AM
groucho, unga character-ai purinjikkave mudiyalai!)

PR... unga kittErundhu idhai nAn edhirpArkala..

Plum in crisis now :P

Plum
4th June 2009, 11:40 AM
innum equa-vum vandhu "prashant is a natural actor"-nu oru shock kudutharunna, Hub-lerundhu retirement announce pannittu poyida vendiyadhu dhaan :-)

Sarna
4th June 2009, 11:45 AM
Sathyaraj versatile-a idhuuvm too much a irukke...

naanum modhalla irundhu idhadhaan sollittirukkEn :rant:

if Sathyaraj is versatile, then we can include Prabhudeva,ramarajan etc :P

Shakthiprabha
4th June 2009, 11:48 AM
Sathyaraj versatile-a idhuuvm too much a irukke...He gave varieties, but need not necessarily great in all of them. Originality-kku niraya marks kodukkalam.

Finally I agree with someone.

Plum
4th June 2009, 11:48 AM
Sari, marubadiyum indha panchayathoda main matterukku varuvom...Vikram rejeeted. Who next to analyse?
Madhavan eduthuppoma?
Groucho, defined parameters padi Madhavanukku oru case file podunga.

groucho070
4th June 2009, 12:04 PM
Oh boy, I will be repeating myself, but for Madhavan's sake, let me try this.

1. Ability to blend into the film, irrespective of the film's milieu, mood, theme, setting

We already saw this. He has done romance and has succeeded very well. He is a natural in comedies, we all saw that. He is also capable of totally love it or loath it over the top performance (Thambi, that really impressed me). He has some semi-arthouse tragedy about a ordinary middle class bloke going nuts (Evano Oruvan that got many notices), and of course, recent foray into Horror that we saw him exceling in responding to the horror surrounding him without resorting to overemoting (pey padamna romba express pannuvanggo matta payalugha). Except for Thambi, I had hardly heard of complaints about his not doing well in the films he was in. And I don't even want to talk about his status as non-Tamizh film star as it won't be appropriate here.

Well, maybe not up to the senior's level, but he has done quiet a bit. The horrid "chocolate boy" roles, the fiery low class thug, the eccentric philantrophist cum vigilante, the regular bloke went psycho, the middle class family man in a haunted apartment, the arrogant NRI who learns life lesson through a trip across the country on train with a communist sympathising union leader. This comes to my mind immediately. I must say, its pretty varied.

Done accents, but not that great, I guess. As you said, ithula Kamal-ai adichikka mudiyathu.

Other points

Ease of performance:
He does not come of as trying too hard. Okay, once he did this in Thambi, which made some hubbers here laugh. But I thought it was purposely over the top to match the eccentricity of the character he was playing.

Unlike others, there is no sense of "look ma I am acting". No self-conscious performance. He just reacts, responses as a character.

Comedy:
I'd say essential for anyone who wants to be a good actor. You must be funny even without the assistance of a comedian. That what made Kamal and Rajini great. That is what Madhavan has.

Presence.
Meaning, no need for build up or soft lenses to make him glow. He has that strong presence and great charisma and easy chemistry with his co stars.

Low point:
If this matters at all, he needs to brush up on stunt. Haang Kaangla poyee martial arts padikka poyirukaaraam. Paarpom.

---
Ithu ippothaikku pothumnu nenekkiren. And yes, I am quite free at the moment.

P_R
4th June 2009, 12:10 PM

Prabhudeva not a natural actor-nA evvaLavu pEru minjuvaanga ? :huh:

Sarna
4th June 2009, 12:39 PM
Grouchi :thumbsup: nice points :clap: :clap:

"look ma I am acting".

best example.... chinna kamalahassan aka Surya :P

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 12:40 PM
Prabhu Deva is a dancer. Matter over

Sarna
4th June 2009, 12:42 PM

Prabhudeva not a natural actor-nA evvaLavu pEru minjuvaanga ? :huh:

natural ok... but actor :?

as groucho said, he was good in yEzhaiyin sirippil..... one more movie is there... Ninaivirukkum varai....

P_R
4th June 2009, 12:42 PM
MinsAra kanavu kooda oththukka maatteenga pOla thONudhu

Comedy kooda rejetted-A :huh:

Plum
4th June 2009, 12:49 PM
PR, ennai porutha varai, blanket rejeet...thagara kiNNam kooda kedayadhu

groucho070
4th June 2009, 12:50 PM
Crikey, ambuttu long post panittum, innum Prabhu Deva patti pesikittirukkengga.

Minsara Kanavu, the man stole the show right under the "hero's" nose.

P_R
4th June 2009, 12:50 PM

as groucho said, he was good in yEzhaiyin sirippil..... one more movie is there... Ninaivirukkum varai....

Comedy :

Kamal: idhu en sundari
PD: idhu en ja ja...

Madanbob -Isabgol thick-friends conversation

Nam iruvar namakku iruvar
aamaam dA...inimE en kitte pEsAdhe dA..un uravE vEnAm dA....dA

Suyamvaram
sirukku 50 latcham paadhi poNNu

VIP and many more

seriyas dhaan vENumnA

veNNilavE pAttula Kajol paada aarambikkira idam oNNu irukku

Sarna
4th June 2009, 12:55 PM
One main important thing of Prabhudeva is that he never irritates in the name of acting(like old Surya in VA) or comedy(like vikram in majaa) or any other aspect ......

P_R
4th June 2009, 12:57 PM
Crikey, ambuttu long post panittum, innum Prabhu Deva patti pesikittirukkengga.

Minsara Kanavu, the man stole the show right under the "hero's" nose.Groucho is the hero. Tamil film rules..one who gets the girl is.

annai indira....andha kaalathula mattum naan irundhirundhEn...vidha vidha vidhamE vettiruppEn :lol:

PD:indha black and black ellAm pOttukittu
AS: amaam
PD: brake :lol:

The scenes where he tries to wash his hands off Kajol, the burst-out in the hospital. Quite an unfilmy and convincing performance.

groucho070
4th June 2009, 12:59 PM
Back in the days, there are usually two negative complaints about him.

1. His look. Well, girls never took to that look, so he was shot down as lousy actor.
2. Dance. Yes, he is a dancer, that's all. So was Kamal before acting as an adult. As a dancer, he understands emotion and how to express them well. May not be perfect, but he has some understanding.

He is quite an original actor, never aspired to be Kamal or Rajini, never took their styles, ( he should know their approach better having had a hand in choreographing their dances.)

P_R
4th June 2009, 01:01 PM
adhE adhE.
And to deny even 'thagara kiNnam' as if we are flooded with a sea of fluent stars who can emote and evoke laughs fluently is :x Most of those we have emote and evoke laughs simultaneously.

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 01:06 PM
Plum,
Ulagam eppadi kettu poirukku paathela? :(

Plum
4th June 2009, 01:06 PM
neenga solravangaLukku plastic kiNNam kooda kedyadhu.

Plum
4th June 2009, 01:12 PM
ennamo, groucho and PR, indha PD payalai tolerate paNNa mudiyalai. Minsara Kanavula Aduppula Vendha Saamy-ai over shadow pandradhellam oru achievement-nu solla mudiyadhu.
Thankfully, I have 'surgically' erased all memories of PD's movies from my memory - something which, worryingly, I havent been able to do for Prashanth

Plum
4th June 2009, 01:13 PM
Plum,

adhe adhe CR. indha PR generation pasanga...hmmm...but then that doesnt account for groucho.

groucho070
4th June 2009, 01:19 PM
..hmmm...but then that doesnt account for groucho.

I was an early supporter. PD's my age, by the way. Intrigued by his dance moves, I followed his career, and really liked him. I even liked him in that so called "vulgar" movie, Indhu. Total riot in there, nobody else of his age would dare to work in a film like that. Chinna vayasileyee risk eduttaaru...but again, all these are what happened beyond 10 years ago. Naama ippo, intha threadla irukkura candidates patti pesuvom, sorry for thisai tirupputhal of the thread.

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 01:21 PM
"sorry for thisai tirupputhal of the thread."
- Enna ippadi kettupteenga? Thread e thisai thirupparadhappathiyum, thisai thiruppuradhukkum dhaane :razz:

P_R
4th June 2009, 01:21 PM
Anyway indha thread-ai poruthavarai not-versatile appidingradhai oththukkarEn

Surya
Madhavan
Vikram
Jeeva (katradhu thamizh and E, both script driven...more evidence needed to fix a spot. Excerpts seen from thenAvattu weaken his case)
Bharath (ippo konja naaLA sandhEgam...proven incapability in comedy. I doubt he can pull the general-geniality-without-doing-anything-at-all role Shahid Kapur did in Jab We Met)

P_R
4th June 2009, 01:24 PM
Plum,

adhe adhe CR. indha PR generation pasanga...hmmm...but then that doesnt account for groucho.
indha periyavangalE ippidi dhaan kadivaaLaththai pOttukkittu

PD interval scene in NINI

paadhaiyil kal.... enna ulagamadA idhu :lol:

Plum
4th June 2009, 01:25 PM
groucho, ofcourse idhellam taste, preference, podalangainu pogum...so no hard feelings, I hope.
As CR said, and I am even one step further, thread-titlengaradhu oru starting point dhaan - digression-o, regression-o, interesting a matter irukkaradhangaradhu dhaan important. Appo appo thread-ai marubadiyum original direction-la kondu vandhukkalam. Adhukku naan guarantee.

Prabhu Ram - Ippo current candidate Madhavan. Avarai pathi unga karuthai konjam vevarama sollunga.
Grouch azhaga template-la nomination file panni irukkar. Neengalum adhe template-la podunga

P_R
4th June 2009, 01:40 PM
1. Ability to blend into the film, irrespective of the film's milieu, mood, theme, setting

Reasonably good here. He hardly ever sticks out. Is almost never bigger than the film. He is as good or as bad as the film- which should be a reasonable explanation for his ordinary performances too :P

For all the charge against Inba in aayidha ezuthu I thought he did a good job. The post-abortion scene where we enter late (he is helping himself to a lunch after disappearing for weeks !) and finds out when fiddling with the bag. His fury, helplessness come out extremely well. He was the pick of the film. Yes agreed he didn't do the accent well.

Except Thambi he was been pretty much on the ball in the whole gamut

anger - InbA
disappointment- inbA and some scenes in MinnalE
ignorant and funny - ND
nonchalant and funny - bottle maNi in Ethiri
Pretty good in AnbE Sivam

Bulb in AE
Passable in Dum dum dum.
Good job in ND.

Unlike others, there is no sense of "look ma I am acting". No self-conscious performance. He just reacts, responses as a character.
Yes that is the crucial point. Often times the slip shows with Surya. He is not as consistently natural as Madhavan is. If at all madhavan comes across as over the top it is in roles that made such unreasonable demands: thambi and to some extent ND and AS.

Prabo
4th June 2009, 01:44 PM
Ease of performance:
He does not come of as trying too hard.

Well said :clap:
Exactly my thoughts on Surya...Neengalum avara nenachu than soneengala :?
He works hard, so hard that there is a sense of preparedness in his acting. Even while in conversation he seems to be getting ready with his next dialogue. Avara poi versatile...Mercantile nu sollitu
As Groucho says, Madhavan 'reacts' so well, looks so fluent and natural. Take 'Anbe Sivam' for example. Now, replace Madhavan by Surya and we'll get to know who is a fine actor between these 2.

But, is Madhavan versatile? I don't think so :oops:

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 01:48 PM
aahaa, ingayum ooru onnu koodittaingappa :shaking:

Plum
4th June 2009, 01:49 PM
Ok, strong case for Madhavan. Looks like a dark horse for winning the "critics award" for versatility :-)

Plum
4th June 2009, 01:52 PM
I'd like to make a point here
Preparedness is not that bad a word as Hubbers seem to be insinuating here.

Surya slips ofcourse showing the effort- most notably in Ghajni but that shouldnt take away from versatility. versatility != spontaneity
I think we should judge Surya-Madhavan without taking into account 'natural acting' and 'spontaneity factor'.
Just saying.

Shakthiprabha
4th June 2009, 01:55 PM

yup! He just lives the char so casually, like therez no screen involved. Therez no try. no effort at all. Therefore, THEREFORE, he performs anyrole with ease. (thats called versatile)

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 01:56 PM

Surya slips ofcourse showing the effort- most notably in Ghajni but that shouldnt take away from versatility. versatility != spontaneity
I think we should judge Surya-Madhavan without taking into account 'natural acting' and 'spontaneity factor'.
Just saying.
I was about to post something similar here.

I don't understand this obsession with "natural" or the bias against "trying".

Inbasegar in AE, Madhavan was *trying* hard to convince us that he is a baddie from North Madras. He was trying hard with the accent in Dum Dum dum (and failed. The point is not about accents, its about this 'look ma' offensive), he tried hard in ND. Heck, everybody tries hard i guess but importantly it shows in these films

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 01:58 PM
And another thing: What is natural for A need not be natural for B. idha thaan comfort zone nu solrom.
Appadi paatha Arvind Samy must be the greatest actor ever, going by "natural", "dont look ma, i'm not acting" parameters

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:00 PM

Comedy kooda rejetted-A :huh:

Dubbing Vikram-nga.
:shock: PR...engayyA irukeenga? Unga account Hack aayita maathiri oru Feeling...

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:03 PM

Just saying.
I was about to post something similar here.

I don't understand this obsession with "natural" the bias or against "trying".

Inbasegar in AE, Madhavan was *trying* hard to convince us that he is a baddie from North Madras. He was trying hard with the accent in Dum Dum dum (and failed. The point is not about accents, its about this 'look ma' offensive), he tried hard in ND. Heck, everybody tries hard i guess but importantly it shows in these films

yArAvadhu Perazhagan Surya (The Boxer), Kaaka Kaaka (Very bad acting except a few sequences... ex: The scene where he screams with the plasters, glucose bottles), SOK (with Bhumika after return/ scenes in the rain/last fifteen mins with Jyo) kalaaichu udungapA... ivan imsai thAnga mudiyala...

littlemaster1982
4th June 2009, 02:04 PM
Venki,

Pls do the honors :P

Sarna
4th June 2009, 02:06 PM

yup! He just lives the char so casually, like therez no screen involved. Therez no try. no effort at all. Therefore, THEREFORE, he performs anyrole with ease. (thats called versatile)

correect'aa point'ukku vandhutteenga :clap: :clap:

but in Ayan(only), Surya did everything with ease :thumbsup:

P_R
4th June 2009, 02:06 PM

Comedy kooda rejetted-A :huh:Dubbing Vikram-nga.

Dubbing Vikram-nA ?
Vikram Abbas-ku kooda dhaan dub paNNi irukkAr.
Vikram comedy paNNa sollunga pAppOm.
Simran is not a good actress-A ? Enna solla vareenga ?

P_R
4th June 2009, 02:07 PM
"dont look ma, i'm not acting" parameters :lol:

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 02:12 PM
yArAvadhu Perazhagan Surya (The Boxer), Kaaka Kaaka (Very bad acting except a few sequences... ex: The scene where he screams with the plasters, glucose bottles), SOK (with Bhumika after return/ scenes in the rain/last fifteen mins with Jyo) kalaaichu udungapA... ivan imsai thAnga mudiyala...
Purila, enna solla vareenga? :confused2:

equanimus
4th June 2009, 02:13 PM
Two things:
1. I don't think Vikram dubbed for Prabhu Deva in 'minsArak kanavu.' I'm quite sure it was Prabhu Deva's voice. Venkiraja is perhaps confusing with 'kAdhalan.'
2. Abbas was funny (!) in PKS. (And no, Vikram didn't dub for him. It was one of the current regulars.)

Sarna
4th June 2009, 02:18 PM

Comedy :

Kamal: idhu en sundari
PD: idhu en ja ja...

Madanbob -Isabgol thick-friends conversation

Nam iruvar namakku iruvar
aamaam dA...inimE en kitte pEsAdhe dA..un uravE vEnAm dA....dA

Suyamvaram
sirukku 50 latcham paadhi poNNu

VIP and many more

seriyas dhaan vENumnA

veNNilavE pAttula Kajol paada aarambikkira idam oNNu irukku

Prabhu deva is in OK level :P avvalavudhaanga :) idhudhaan saakkunu innikku eththana hero OK level'ku mEla irukkaanganu kEkkakoodaadhu :notthatway:

vennilavE paattula PD was :2thumbsup:

Few Good things about PD are

1. Originality in ACTING
2. Ease in acting ( within his limits )

any more....

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:23 PM
Venki,

NeengaLum Surya Hater-A? There is a long list of 'sothai' and 'weak' performances from him. We can easily observe the contrast between Daniel Balaji and Surya in Kaaka Kaaka's final moments. Mayavi is a prime example of Surya's unimpressive slog. His commercial features show how pathetic he is Aaru(Songs esp. Paakadhe could have been better even with a expression-less J.Ravi) Vel(Both roles are plain :o His sheshtaigal in 1000 jannal veedu). Interview-la kooda he 'tries hard'. Karthi is much better- Looks wise as well.

indha chennai poNNunga ellArumE Surya fans pOla... ivaLunga avankitta ennatha kaNdAingannE therla... Everyone are crazy about him. erichalA varum. adhula pArunga, ellArOda Caller tune/ ringtone ellAmE Munbe va thaan. :x

Vivasaayi
4th June 2009, 02:25 PM

Just saying.

adhethan.

the efforts put into versatility takes a toll on spontaneity...is also an issue.

to do a role which is not within ur horizon and also with spontaneity....is difficult.most of the actors who have maintained the spontaneity in their charecters have not been versatile.

two different dimentions.

P_R
4th June 2009, 02:26 PM
Two things:
1. I don't think Vikram dubbed for Prabhu Deva in 'minsArak kanavu.' I'm quite sure it was Prabhu Deva's voice. Venkiraja is perhaps confusing with 'kAdhalan.'

Mixed. Some parts PD some parrts Vikram

unga kooda pEsaNumnAlE dictionary vachikkaNum pOla irukkE : Vikram voice

Annai indira: PD voice

IIRC of course

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:27 PM

I mean. Vikram qualifies into the grand pool of 'Versatile actors' very broadly. Surya ellAm "sellAdhu.. sellAdhu" Deposit-E pOyirum case.

equanimus
4th June 2009, 02:28 PM
Two things:

IIRC of course
Oh, indha matter theriyAdhE enakku. A good piece of trivia.

littlemaster1982
4th June 2009, 02:29 PM
Venki,

NeengaLum Surya Hater-A? There is a long list of 'sothai' and 'weak' performances from him. We can easily observe the contrast between Daniel Balaji and Surya in Kaaka Kaaka's final moments. Mayavi is a prime example of Surya's unimpressive slog. His commercial features show how pathetic he is Aaru(Songs esp. Paakadhe could have been better even with a expression-less J.Ravi) Vel(Both roles are plain :o His sheshtaigal in 1000 jannal veedu). Interview-la kooda he 'tries hard'. Karthi is much better- Looks wise as well.

I'm not a Surya hater. And one of my favorite Surya performances is Mayaavi :lol: Just that I sometimes feel he is given too much credit. Certainly a good actor :)

indha chennai poNNunga ellArumE Surya fans pOla... ivaLunga avankitta ennatha kaNdAingannE therla... Everyone are crazy about him. erichalA varum. adhula pArunga, ellArOda Caller tune/ ringtone ellAmE Munbe va thaan. :x

Kadaisila unnoda kovatthukku kaaranam idhaana :twisted: JK :P

P_R
4th June 2009, 02:29 PM
I mean. Vikram qualifies into the grand pool of 'Versatile actors' very broadly. Surya ellAm "sellAdhu.. sellAdhu" Deposit-E pOyirum case.

Surya versatile illai enRal definition-il pizhai. Thread-ai moodiralaam.

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:30 PM
Two things:

IIRC of course

See. The ones where he had to 'emote', he had to use dubbing: Dictionary. And, I'm confused about Annai Indira scene.. AIDS distribution sounds like Vikram... and then immediately Kaal paadhi Body paadhi... oooo seems PD. Someone clarify...
P.S: Milestones like Alaavudheen, Love birds, etc. should also be taken into account.

viraajan
4th June 2009, 02:31 PM
Surya is definitely a versatile actor. There is no doubt about it.

LM, the way he dances for "megam karukkudhu" :rotfl3: What a ferfarmance :bow:

crajkumar_be

Just saying.

adhethan.

the efforts put into versatility takes a toll on spontaneity...is also an issue.

to do a role which is not within ur horizon and also with spontaneity....is difficult.most of the actors who have maintained the spontaneity in their charecters have not been versatile.

two different dimentions.
Vikki,
Not only that, this whole always "natural", "spontaneous", "never tries" thing is a myth

Sarna

Vikram... versatility ... sellavE selaadhu

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm not a Surya hater. And one of my favorite Surya performances is Mayaavi :lol: Just that I sometimes feel he is given too much credit. Certainly a good actor :)

Kadaisila unnoda kovatthukku kaaranam idhaana :twisted: JK :P

Lion's share. I didn't like Surya. And then I had to change it to I hate Surya.

Shakthiprabha
4th June 2009, 02:32 PM
I have a strong feeling, most of us rate artists, for any given criteria, based on our individual likes n dislikes for the aritst. Then the whole discussoin would fissle out in usual way.

littlemaster1982
4th June 2009, 02:33 PM
LM, the way he dances for "megam karukkudhu" :rotfl3: What a ferfarmance :bow:

:exactly: He brought the roof down in that scene. Sema applause theatre-la. That too in Bangalore :shock:

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:34 PM
nEthu Mahanadhi pArtheengaLAppA? The scene where Haneefa stamps Kamalhassan... :notworthy:
Versatality... throughout the movie itself. Since I didn't catch up with the discussion live here, I would like to make a point:
Kamal, Rajni, Sathyaraj, Sivaji - Versatile.

Suriyar versatile-nA, Mike Mohan is versatile as well.

P_R
4th June 2009, 02:35 PM
Given that I have been atypical today (whatever that is anyway) I will also say this:

Over the top performance + heavy make up
appidinnA ellArukkum konjam prejudice. EnnamO trick is indeed in the look and melodrama appidingra maadhiri.

No one else could have done the hunchback in pErazhagan

viraajan
I have a strong feeling, most of us rate artists, for any given criteria, based on our individual likes n dislikes for the aritst. Then the whole discussoin would fissle out in usual way.

adhu thaan ka romba naala nadandhutu irukku :oops: :cry:

equanimus
nInga sonnadhukkappuRam, reNdu pEr solRA mAdhiriyum imagine paNNa mudiyudhu. Have to check this. Incidentally I think the funniest line in the film is, "ayyO, adhula no doubt madam!"

P_R
4th June 2009, 02:36 PM
Suriyar versatile-nA, Mike Mohan is versatile as well. ringtone ungaLai romba baadhichchirukku :lol2:

littlemaster1982
4th June 2009, 02:37 PM

Idhula Sathyaraj eppadi ulla vandhaaru :? :confused2:

viraajan
4th June 2009, 02:37 PM
Here is my list.... :P

Kamal
Rajni
Madhavan
Vikram
Surya
Jeeva
Prakash Raj / Raghuvaran / Nasser
Dhanush

// i might have missed one or two actors. this is what comes to my mind now :oops:

P_R
4th June 2009, 02:46 PM

I am reminded of an old ad (Directors Special I think) featuring Venkatesh Prasad. This was right after his performance in SA in '96.

First he will miss the stumps and there will be voice-over than say gone are the days when we had bowlers like Imran Khan, Malcolm Marshal.

Then a sweaty, determined Prasad will train hard and then come back and hit the stumps. Some perusus will now say "...bowlers like Imran Khan, Malcolm Marshal, venkatesh prasad.."

VP singappal theriya mandhirappunnagai seivaar.

AppidiyE light-A sEththukkaradhu dhaan.

littlemaster1982
4th June 2009, 02:47 PM
I remember that ad :lol: What an analogy :notworthy:

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:47 PM
Suriyar versatile-nA, Mike Mohan is versatile as well. ringtone ungaLai romba baadhichchirukku :lol2:

1. Hunchback role
2. Nandha (to an extent)
3. Pithamagan (can find replacements...)
4. ?
5. -

Plus, his so-called romantic scenes ellAm vAli ajith-E kadanthu vitta thooram. I'm not bringing in Ajith as versatile and all, but I am firm that Thala is a better actor. Both of them aren't versatile anyway.

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:49 PM

I am reminded of an old ad (Directors Special I think) featuring Venkatesh Prasad. This was right after his performance in SA in '96.

First he will miss the stumps and there will be voice-over than say gone are the days when we had bowlers like Imran Khan, Malcolm Marshal.

Then a sweaty, determined Prasad will train hard and then come back and hit the stumps. Some perusus will now say "...bowlers like Imran Khan, Malcolm Marshal, venkatesh prasad.."

AppidiyE light-A sEththukkaradhu dhaan.

Forget this century. If you cannot find a replacement for Hunchback Surya, can you find a replacement for Amaidhipadai Amaavasai?

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:51 PM

adhu thaan ka romba naala nadandhutu irukku :oops: :cry:

apdinA Hub-a shutdown paNNa vEndiyathu thAn. I remember some post of Joe Sir and Groucho Sir sometime ago on this issue. CR, PR, ellArum kooda pEsikittu irundhaanga...

groucho070
4th June 2009, 02:54 PM
No one else could have done the hunchback in pErazhaganBut there was a Malayalam original right?

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 02:56 PM
No one else could have done the hunchback in pErazhaganBut there was a Malayalam original right?

M...
There is a Kannada remake as well... :lol2:

littlemaster1982
4th June 2009, 02:58 PM

M...
There is a Kannada remake as well... :lol2:

You are scoring a same side goal now. Just one look at the Kannada film still will show how better Surya is :P

groucho070
4th June 2009, 02:58 PM

M...
There is a Kannada remake as well... :lol2:Hunchback pack-ai maathi, maathi, maatttikittaanggaloo?

P_R
4th June 2009, 02:59 PM

1. Hunchback role
2. Nandha (to an extent)
4. ?
5. -

Thanks for small mercies like 1-3.

I haven't seen Aaru but I understand it is one of his lesser movies.
I saw a scene where he 'rescues' a girl from a not-well meaning boy. He reprimands the boy and his parents in the girls' house and then 'advices' the girl.

Somethign like this....

unga ponnutte oru reNdu vaarthai pEsikkarEn...sister maaRi dhaan...... sosial sosial-nu solli kanda galeej-Oda suththi enna aachu paathiyA.....pethavanga pEchchai kElu etc etc

As cliched as it gets. But he was very 'convincing' and 'real'.

This is what I mean. He may be good or bad in his performances. But even his failures are a cut above 'ngrEn.

P_R
4th June 2009, 03:00 PM

M...
There is a Kannada remake as well... :lol2:Hunchback pack-ai maathi, maathi, maatttikittaanggaloo?

ada...I meant no other Tamil hero currently in the 'group' as Surya.

puriyAdha maadhiriyE kELvi kEkkuradhu :twisted:

Plum
4th June 2009, 03:02 PM

SP, adhaan discussion-ai democratic-a steer pannikittirukkomla - ippo vandhu ipdi kalaicha epdi?

Idhu poga, digression ok-nu sonnadhukku, ellroum left and right digression :evil:

Again, versatility!=spontaneity, ease of performance etc.

Ippo current candidate Madhavan. Avara pathi ellorum sollunga. Suryakku appurama varuvom

groucho070
4th June 2009, 03:03 PM
:lol: Yen, namma Kalyan Kumar irukkaarey. Devan kovil maniosai, nalla seethikal sollum manioosai....

P_R
4th June 2009, 03:03 PM
Forget this century. If you cannot find a replacement for Hunchback Surya, can you find a replacement for Amaidhipadai Amaavasai?

Amaidhippadai AmAvAsai is a made-for-Satyaraj role. It is a role he has kinda of been playing before and since in some part. I will not call it a departure. If anyone else does it it will be like 'mimicking' Satyaraj.

That is not the case with the hunchback role. It was out there done in Malayalam, waiting for someone to try in Tamil.

directhit
4th June 2009, 03:06 PM
You are scoring a same side goal now. Just one look at the Kannada film still will show how better Surya is :P //sumaal dig
a look at the malayalam film wud show how surya fares as well //

littlemaster1982
4th June 2009, 03:09 PM
You are scoring a same side goal now. Just one look at the Kannada film still will show how better Surya is :P //sumaal dig
a look at the malayalam film wud show how surya fares as well //

Surya-vai vida Dileep better-nu solreengala :roll: I haven't seen the original.

P_R
4th June 2009, 03:09 PM
Dileep > Surya appidingreengaLA

Even though I have not seen the original I am willing to grant that point simply to prevent digression. inge yaarum illai appidingradhu dhaan panjAyathu

Plum
4th June 2009, 03:11 PM

1. Hunchback role
2. Nandha (to an extent)

4. ?
5. -

Thanks for small mercies like 1-3.

I haven't seen Aaru but I understand it is one of his lesser movies.
I saw a scene where he 'rescues' a girl from a not-well meaning boy. He reprimands the boy and his parents in the girls' house and then 'advices' the girl.

Somethign like this....

unga ponnutte oru reNdu vaarthai pEsikkarEn...sister maaRi dhaan...... sosial sosial-nu solli kanda galeej-Oda suththi enna aachu paathiyA.....pethavanga pEchchai kElu etc etc

As cliched as it gets. But he was very 'convincing' and 'real'.

This is what I mean. He may be good or bad in his performances. But even his failures are a cut above 'ngrEn.

PR, idhula I am with you. He is quite convincing in his 'lesser' roles like Aaru, Vel. Very natural, if I may, as much 'nature' as possible in a masala movie
Where he is uncomfortable with:
1) The vijay-type savadal scenes like where he reels off ways to use kerosene, petrol etc in Vel
2) Ghajni mottai kind of out-of-normal characters
3) Romance - especially post marriage epdina - when revathy came back to field after marriage, one movie review went thus "kaadhal kaatchigaLil munbirundha saraLam ippodhu illai" ( Now, before marriage mattum enna vaazhndhudhamnu digress panna koodadhu - karuthai mattum eduthukkunga). One can say the same of Surya

Adhavadhu, oru masala herovukku thevaiyana sila pala vishayangaLil effort theriyudhu. Adhulaiyum net result is ok but it is the effort he takes which stands out and kind of makes you laugh

Mathabadi, the family scenes in Vel were pretty impressive. The much maligned Aaru, he was quite convincing - even the "naan podarenNa" to Vidyarthi. Your example is also very apt. In general, he is quite versatile in terms of results achieved - natural a panninara illiaiyangaradhu not relevant at all to the discussion.

Sari vidunga, inge pala peru Ringtone matter-la paadhikka pattirukanga. Sila pala varushangaLukku munnal avanga nilaimaiyila irundhadhala purinjikka mudiyudhu. (You, of course, pinjula pazhuthadhala, I reckon you might gone through this ringtone-jealousy phase by the age of 16 :-) )

directhit
4th June 2009, 03:12 PM
LM - neenga pathuttu sollunga, if they are telecasting sometime in tv, PM panren :)

PR - that role of a hunchback aint a diffi one - the plus in that role is the comedy, and he did do well, but there are ppl who do better comedy than him in tamil anyways :huh:

Shakthiprabha
4th June 2009, 03:12 PM
//SP, adhaan discussion-ai democratic-a steer pannikittirukkomla //

ungalukku full marks kudukaren :bow:

__

Madhavan:

1. lives the role with ease
2. tries variety (comedy, action, choclatey-romance, thriller)
3. Creates impact even in small roles
4. Expressions at times are repetitive, but charismatic enough to overrule the handicap.

Negatives:

1. Action roles like thambi, ae, didn't brign out the best in him
2. I wonder if he would fit in country lad roles. Suited enough only for elite presentations. If otherwise, he needs to prove himself.

Vivasaayi
4th June 2009, 03:13 PM

littlemaster1982
4th June 2009, 03:13 PM
LM - neenga pathuttu sollunga, if they are telecasting sometime in tv, PM panren :)

OK :D

directhit
4th June 2009, 03:14 PM
Very natural, if I may, as much 'nature' as possible in a masala movie :o onniyum solradhukilla. periyavanga ellaam vela kuduthuttu interview edukkaraapla irukku :lol2:

Vivasaayi
4th June 2009, 03:14 PM
venki,

Noone could have pulled off the delhi ganesh charecter in avvai shanmugi..no replacements whatsoever...adhukaga delhi ganesh bayangara versatilea..

andha maadhiri amavasai is made for satyaraj..

satyaraj is to an extent versatile...but not comparable to surya in terms of versatility

crajkumar_be
4th June 2009, 03:17 PM
"Ringtone matter-la paadhikka pattirukanga"
- idhu enna matter? ellarum solreengale..

Vivasaayi
4th June 2009, 03:20 PM

Avaru call pandra ella ponnungalum surya ringtonethan vechurukangalam...

MADDY
4th June 2009, 03:22 PM
Madhavan:

Negatives:

1. Action roles like thambi, ae, didn't brign out the best in him
2. I wonder if he would fit in country lad roles. Suited enough only for elite presentations. If otherwise, he needs to prove himself.

1. watch rendu - my definition of a power packed performance.......only other person in tamil who can do a action role without going "ai aye" is ajith.....

2. he did very well in Ayutha ezhuthu.........ND wasnt a urban role as well.....

i still wouldnt call Madhavan versatile as in same league of NT, kamal or rajini.....he still has a long way to go.... :)

Vivasaayi
4th June 2009, 03:24 PM
i still wouldnt call Madhavan versatile as in same league of NT, kamal or rajini.....he still has a long way to go.... :)

still?...apdi onnum perusa "thambi" panlaye...

oru village role...onne onnu sample irukka?

Plum
4th June 2009, 03:25 PM

CR, idhaan matter

Shakthiprabha
4th June 2009, 03:25 PM
//i still wouldnt call Madhavan versatile as in same league of NT, kamal or rajini.....he still has a long way to go.... //

Yes, but a promising candidate !

Ivn't watched rendu :)

VENKIRAJA
4th June 2009, 03:26 PM

Avaru call pandra ella ponnungalum surya ringtonethan vechurukangalam...

vArAdheengaNNE.. adhu oru vEgathula sonnadhu... Still, Surya is not even as good as Madhavan. This is my argument. IllainreengaLA?
Regarding MP, his transitional scenes were 'pOdangA' ragam...

Vivasaayi
4th June 2009, 03:29 PM
MP?

Sanguine Sridhar
4th June 2009, 03:29 PM
Ennadhu Surya versatile illaya? :lol:
Madhavan is ok, he overacts!