PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

jaiganes
11th December 2009, 01:37 AM
Right now a 15 minute parking lot listen to 'Om Sivoham' .
Morning parking lot listen was 'Aalamadangala' vandi odittu irukku, paattu odittu irukku, manasu mattum stop aaiduchu.
Yesterday night parking lot listen
'salanathukke salippumillaadha' 'Enge nee sendraalum'
When Karthik finishes 'Naada vasam naan'. Couldn't agree more with him there.
Female voice mattum innum konjam menaketrukkalaam but a long time since we had a conversation in a song. Karthik does extremely well in some complex portions.
I am totally in love with the 'Kallinilum naadham unarum kanindha manam unadhallavaa (the hero is a blind person )'
and 'Ennenna kolam ulagil thaaLa layamondru dhaan ,and as if it is IR speaking this...
'Enakku adhuh thevayillai .. Naadhavasam naan'.
Madhyamavathi dhaan -aanal adhu Raajavin madhyamavathi - adhula oru thani prayogam irukku.
Rhythms for the song are simple basic and supportive.
That brings me to the 'Parking lot listen of morning (yesterday)'.
Unnai Patri sonnaal from Madhiya chennai.
Oru bass line varudhu - thodarchiya which is very prominent too and the song is all about constant companionship of a new found love. Very very apt. Nallaa thaane irukku indha paatai poi thumburu yaen pazhichaangannu puriyalai...

tvsankar
11th December 2009, 02:05 AM
Engae senralum

Violin is the Hero of the song.

IR oda Madhyamaathi - tats all. enaku idhu podhum.

Lyrics and rendtion ku athanai value irupadhaga thonavilai.

Tune is captivating.......

tvsankar
11th December 2009, 02:08 AM
very soothing beats.........

IR - carnatic songs - produce pannina,

thani avarthanam - evvalavu nalla irukum...

indha feelings dhan - indha paatin violin
bits kaekara apo thoninadhu...........

app_engine
11th December 2009, 03:12 AM
allippoovE - mallippoovE :-)

Since the vintage CD was also in the car, revisited sendhoorappoovE to relish the nostalgia (despite the poor recording quality - such CD's sound worse than what I used to hear on valve radio - even bass is not good).

allippoovE is a nice malayALam tribute to the vintage TFM classic!

bhAgya dEvathA - allippoovE & swapnangaL - definitely a very decent effort by IR for 2009.

Well, he had a few pretty decent albums this year besides the big hits of PR / pA :-)

Sureshs65
11th December 2009, 07:09 AM
Jai.

'Kannukulle' is another album which has joined the 'will be discovered in the future' list. 'Enge Nee Sendralum' and 'Putdhu Pournami Nilavu' superb and people like raagas and I have argued that these songs would match upto the very best that Raja has produced this year. The problem, as you have noted and app_eng noted earlier, are the singers. If the male singer is upto the amrk, the female let us down or vice versa. Otherwise both the tunes are magical.

Reg 'Unnai Patri Sonnal', thumburu was expressing her disapproval for the pallavi lyrics which she felt was too bland. Her views on this song and 'Un Vazhve' were quite positive when she reviewed this album. And yes, the bass line and the whole movement of the charanam is very fetching. The lyrics get much better in the charanams, as kiru had once pointed out.

Sureshs65
11th December 2009, 07:12 AM
app_eng,

'Bhagya Devatha' is beyond doubt melodically the best album of the year. All the three songs are seeped in melody. Other than the two songs that you mentioned, 'aadi thirathannil' is very good as well. Karthik does a neat job of this Kalyani based song. Infact all the singers in this album, Vijay Jesudas, Shwetha, Rahul Nambiyar and Karthik do a great job. I have not mentioned Chitra because it will like what they say, "suryanukke torcha"? :)

K
11th December 2009, 11:03 AM
Chinna Polike Ledhu Prema- Om SHanthi

K
11th December 2009, 11:19 AM
Edeya Baagilu Thattinodu - Suryakanthi. Wow What a song, reminds Intha Ulagil Naan Irunthalum- Madhu. Wow Woo Wow, great singing by Shreya. Raja Proves endrum "ILAYA"raja.

raagas
11th December 2009, 12:20 PM
Surya Kanthi's Edeya Baagilu is indeed theatrically lush. Very musical like. I read some article that this was the first time in Indian Film Music that such a kind of song has been composed. Thats little far fetched a statement though, because there were old songs in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, where such songs were composed to picturise as Dream Sequences. But if we keep them aside... when i hear Edeya Baagilu, I am constantly reminded of one song by IR himself. The song is not similar in tune, but the kind of treatment given to the song. Particularly the very breezy relaxed and even wafting smoothly kind of string sections. That song is "Oh Butterfly" from "Meera". Beautiful number.

jaiganes
11th December 2009, 05:56 PM
Surya Kanthi's Edeya Baagilu is indeed theatrically lush. Very musical like. I read some article that this was the first time in Indian Film Music that such a kind of song has been composed. Thats little far fetched a statement though, because there were old songs in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, where such songs were composed to picturise as Dream Sequences. But if we keep them aside... when i hear Edeya Baagilu, I am constantly reminded of one song by IR himself. The song is not similar in tune, but the kind of treatment given to the song. Particularly the very breezy relaxed and even wafting smoothly kind of string sections. That song is "Oh Butterfly" from "Meera". Beautiful number.

I am reminded of one IR song that did not enjoy a good life.
That is 'nilavai sutri' from the world famous 'Madhu (2007)'. In fact there are some recent songs that remind me of the Shalini song of that film. I 'm just trying to recollect which ones...

irir123
11th December 2009, 07:47 PM
i think the most audaciously beautiful part of 'edeya bagilu' is the way the charanam ends!! shreya especially has done an absolutely fabulous job

a student of mine who also sings in the local opera called this songs a cross between 'smooth jazz' and a 'romantic soft-rock'! and just as well agree, dubbed the entire 'paa' album as classic jazz with lots of rock elements thrown in!

vel
11th December 2009, 08:43 PM
listening to mathiya chennai - what variety in the songs...it is growing rapidly on me, these songs in mathiya chennai...

sullikuppam ganabathy has the same whacky feel of achadicha kaasae from vaalmeeki (of course the latter had tremendous rendition by raaja..also ennada paandi)....unnai patri sonnal, wow makes me feel as if i am flying (reeta should cherish this more than allegra..ideally speaking that is)...ila vayasu pasangala is karthik raaja'ish, but like the way the melody slides and goes zzzwiing in the palavi (just like today's pulzar revving youth move around you on the road)..un vaazhvae oru paadam aagalaam is typical raaja tune and typical sadhana singing...my top pick is "yezhaikindha ulagamendru"...in music God's own voice..the pain is well registered in the tune...they dont make such social message songs anymore, do they...

another striking thing is the apt choice of lyricists...Muthulingam for the general hero introduction, Mu Metha for highligting the downtroden's plight (IR reserves songs on the poor for Mu Metha), Valee for the thoughtful un vaazhvaee, Pazhani bharathi for the crisp unnai patri sonnal and Muthukumar for the song ila vayasu :) :notworthy:

jaiganes
11th December 2009, 10:31 PM
sullikuppam is alway *2 hearing for me in the car. Rahul Nambiar is growing in standing in my opinion. The first interlude is a cracker man.
Awesome imagination. AEnda dai too had a fantastic first interlude. handiwork sooper by raasappu.

Sureshs65
11th December 2009, 11:21 PM
Listening to 'Madhiya Chennai' and 'Kannukulle' but the song I am currently enjoying is "nilavu varum neram" from 'Jaganmohini. What a cracker of a song. The incessant beats, the guitar that comes in once in a while, the bass that follows throughout and the singing of Shweta and Ujjaini. 'Jaganmohini' is one freak out album. Absolutely unexpected songs and absolutely delicious.

Sanjeevi
11th December 2009, 11:58 PM
வந்தாள் வந்தாள் ராஜகுமாரி (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KUAImsIpaE&feature=related)

Absolute bliss

Symphony touch in this song which came during IR was creating his first symphony with RPO.

Kudos to Backyaraj, he really tried to picturise this song very well and has come good also. Helicopter ellam vachu, good group dance :thumbsup: except for Backyaraj dance

Sureshs65
12th December 2009, 10:04 PM
'kunnathe' from PazhassiRaja. Something in this song touches me deeply. Can't place a finger on it. Maybe it is the inherent Indianess. However much I love jazz / rock etc, maybe my being is wired to the Indian sound, who knows.

One thing I am sure. 'kunnathe' is as perfect as a song can get. Everything, just everything, falls in place. The basic tune, the swell of the violins, the flute which comes and goes, the bass guitar and Chitra's glorious vocals. This is a song which can only be conceived as a whole. This is not a song which seems to be 'sculpted to perfection bit by bit'. (The 'sedukkals' can never give this organic unity to any song is my feeling. ) The whole thing with all the orchestration has happened in the master's brain before he put it on paper. That's how I view it.

If I were a MD and had I composed one such song, that would have been enough for my lifetime. Luckily, for me and others as well, I am not and so I get to enjoy what this man does so effortlessly.

thumburu
14th December 2009, 03:37 PM
With "kunnathe", Raja has created another "maalaiyil yaaro" [though they both belong to the same scale] , an irresistable , classical melody which everybody hails . I wish Raja recreates magic like "kunnathe" in TFM too .

tvsankar
14th December 2009, 06:43 PM
Ninaitha varam kaetu - Kaathal Rojavae

Nice rendition by KSC and Unni krishnan.

Haunting tune.... Sweet Beats.

Excellent guitar works,..

90s Raaja's Guitar is FAntastic.......

Saagar
14th December 2009, 10:32 PM
'kunnathe' from PazhassiRaja. Something in this song touches me deeply. Can't place a finger on it. Maybe it is the inherent Indianess. However much I love jazz / rock etc, maybe my being is wired to the Indian sound, who knows.

One thing I am sure. 'kunnathe' is as perfect as a song can get. Everything, just everything, falls in place. The basic tune, the swell of the violins, the flute which comes and goes, the bass guitar and Chitra's glorious vocals. This is a song which can only be conceived as a whole.This is not a song which seems to be 'sculpted to perfection bit by bit'. (The 'sedukkals' can never give this organic unity to any song is my feeling. ) The whole thing with all the orchestration has happened in the master's brain before he put it on paper. That's how I view it.

If I were a MD and had I composed one such song, that would have been enough for my lifetime. Luckily, for me and others as well, I am not and so I get to enjoy what this man does so effortlessly.

Suresh,

You have articulated it too well. I have been mostly passive reader but regular reader of this forum for the last 7-8 years, but recently I find the level has shifted to far higher & healthier levels & it feels so nice so realise people feel so much in common that somehow I've been recently prompted to also chip in to let know my shared feelings when I read these.

Sanjeevi
14th December 2009, 11:37 PM
Ninaitha varam kaetu - Kaathal Rojavae

Nice rendition by KSC and Unni krishnan.

Haunting tune.... Sweet Beats.

Excellent guitar works,..

90s Raaja's Guitar is FAntastic.......

Wov fabulous song. Thanks for reminding this song to me. For me, this song tops the "Kadhal RojavE" album whereas many will select 'Ilavenil'

jaiganes
15th December 2009, 12:33 AM
Right now - simply getting amazed by the synth counterpoints raaja has worked up in the second interlude of 'Batlade' from the much maligned 'chal chalein'. The pipe and the synth sound followed by the trumpet are excellently tuned and the sound is also pretty cool.
question: Is that trumpet a real acoustic one or a 'synth' one ?

kiru
15th December 2009, 03:12 AM
chal chalein is all synth. But these synths are not that bad..they are actually "sampled sounds" (IR clarifies in TIS interview that synths also is replay of somebody playing an instrument but still not good)..maybe there is some lossy compression but the current equipment IR is using is very similar to Rahman's, is my best guess. It is just a matter of presentation and choice of the instrument and any "effects" top which makes these MDs sound different.

kiru
15th December 2009, 03:14 AM
வந்தாள் வந்தாள் ராஜகுமாரி (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KUAImsIpaE&feature=related)

Absolute bliss

Symphony touch in this song which came during IR was creating his first symphony with RPO.

Kudos to Backyaraj, he really tried to picturise this song very well and has come good also. Helicopter ellam vachu, good group dance :thumbsup: except for Backyaraj dance
Sanjeevi, this is pretty much synth driven and sounds more New Ageish like Enya. I suspect KR's handiwork (he likes Enya).

AravindMano
15th December 2009, 10:49 AM
வந்ததே குங்குமம் (கிழக்கு வாசல்) :musicsmile:

Such an enjoyable song. One of those songs that sound as if it was tailor made for Chithra. The violins in the second interlude :clap:

Sureshs65
15th December 2009, 03:42 PM
Saagar,

Your posts on Malayalam film music and on 'Paa' have been very enlightening. Please do post regularly.

jaiganes
15th December 2009, 09:02 PM
Flying on the moon (nenu nenugaa) the first and second interlude and the way the charanams end (thanks IRIR) with violin ensemble taking over - is simply superb stuff.

Innum kaadhil olikkum nizhal kuthu padaththin pinnani isai (padam soopero soooper) - Isai gnaniyin thirai isai aalumaikku andha oru padame podhum.

Sureshs65
15th December 2009, 09:44 PM
Jai,

Yup. 'Nizhal kuthu' is a lovely film. The only film of Adoor which is available on video (infact tirutu DVD !!) I don't know why someone from Kerala doesn't take up the task of releasing movies of Adoor and Aravindan on DVD. I digress.

I had earlier written this when CRV loaded the BGM of 'nizhalkuthu' in another thread. This is one film which shows how well Raja understands the movie and scores accordingly. In the part where Adoor is showing reality the BGM is very sparse with a threatening kind of drum sound and the melancholic violin accompanying it. When Adoor imposes what happened elsewhere on the protagonist's imagination, he deliberately goes into a more 'filmy' mode, giving us a clue on the unreality of the experience. That is when both the photographer and Raja excel. The music becomes lush and cinematic and props up everyone's interest. Very rarely do you get such an experience in Indian movies. Excellent combination of two genius, Adoor and Raja. Thanks for bringing this up.

Sureshs65
15th December 2009, 09:47 PM
'oLi tharum sooriyanum' from Valmiki. The way the first charanam ends and the interlude starts without the pallavi being sung again is a lovely touch. The interlude must have made the keyboard player very very happy. A lovely song indeed. A precursor to songs like 'Un Vazhve' and 'Unnai Patri Sonnal'.

app_eng, Also listening to 'booze irukudu' from the same movie :lol:

app_engine
15th December 2009, 09:56 PM
Sureshs65,
:-)

#2 of Prakash POV :
http://prakashpov.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-tryst-with-ilayaraja-2.html

jaiganes
16th December 2009, 12:42 AM
Jai,

Yup. 'Nizhal kuthu' is a lovely film. The only film of Adoor which is available on video (infact tirutu DVD !!) I don't know why someone from Kerala doesn't take up the task of releasing movies of Adoor and Aravindan on DVD. I digress.

I had earlier written this when CRV loaded the BGM of 'nizhalkuthu' in another thread. This is one film which shows how well Raja understands the movie and scores accordingly. In the part where Adoor is showing reality the BGM is very sparse with a threatening kind of drum sound and the melancholic violin accompanying it. When Adoor imposes what happened elsewhere on the protagonist's imagination, he deliberately goes into a more 'filmy' mode, giving us a clue on the unreality of the experience. That is when both the photographer and Raja excel. The music becomes lush and cinematic and props up everyone's interest. Very rarely do you get such an experience in Indian movies. Excellent combination of two genius, Adoor and Raja. Thanks for bringing this up.

I saw this on netflix - meaning that itshould be out on DVD as well..
ippo thaan idhai paththi last films watched threadla ezudhinen - neenga ennai inge mundhinduttael.

Idhai pathi kandippa blog panniye aaganum - pannaren.

BTW - listened to Ottesi chebutha and all the suryakanthi and Om shanti songs for the 3rd time again - The second interlude of Ottesi chebutha is totally new and has no trace of earlier Raja works and no wonder Raagas is lamenting the lack of 'presence' - which is more than adequately present in the rest of the songs.

And finally ...
<changu chan - jumpa haters avoid>
Chan chanaare - breeziest Raaja - shreya song.....
enna oru interlude - (carbon dating by experts show the traces of hindi - tamil musical idioms ranging from 1970s to 1990s).
I particularly loved 'Jumpa Jumpa' chorus and the silken way shreya sings 'Gaganava namanisuba' IT is something else and something special - like a Tendulkar defensive push that gets a couple over the covers. Overall the chirpy chorus and the sensitive shreya vocal interplay suggests a lot happening on the screen.
</changu chan - jumpa haters avoid>

Sanjeevi
16th December 2009, 12:48 AM
<changu chan - jumpa haters avoid>

:lol:

Sureshs65
16th December 2009, 01:07 AM
Jai,

I think the DVD of 'Nizhalkuthu' is probably available in US. It was produced by some French company. I tried getting the original here but no luck.

vel
16th December 2009, 11:11 AM
the last song in om shanti is beyond anything i have ever heard in raaja sir's music...he looks to me like a totally changed man, and is totally unrecognizable in ingredients, but identifable in the taste of the end product...like a good cook, the ingredients are totally new, but the output standard has the stamp....of the genius !

Bala (Karthik)
29th December 2009, 03:01 AM
Kannan Vandhu Paadugindraan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMFzOB9XkXU&feature=related)
I did the cardinal mistake of actually watching the video. One of the most tastelessly picturized songs. Kurangu kayyil maala :evil:

baroque
29th December 2009, 07:34 AM
:ty: IR.

Pampered myself
piliche...... ... kuhu kuhu vayase
palike........ taha taha manase...unhurried janaki's solo this cold, rainy evening! :musicsmile:

S.P.B's fine duet with சுஷீலா ...கண்ணன் ஒரு கைக்குழந்தை .
பாலா spoiled me with love! :swinghead:
மேகமே தூதாக வா அழகின் ஆராதனை
தென்றலே தாலாட்ட வா இளமை முந்தானையை ....
:redjump: Feel LOVELY inside & out! :bluejump:
I can't stop smiling! :D
vinatha. :)

Plum
29th December 2009, 07:35 AM
Kannan Vandhu Paadugindraan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMFzOB9XkXU&feature=related)
I did the cardinal mistake of actually watching the video. One of the most tastelessly picturized songs. Kurangu kayyil maala :evil:

Konja nAL munnAdi dhAn I warned someone in the HUB not to watch it after they expressed admirtion fo the song.and expressed a wish to watch it :-)
Raadhigaa madam attempts at maadern dress :lol:

Genre of the song?

Enna oru prelude with the saxophone racily setting the mood and handing it over to the guitar - and then the drums and beats takeover. Bala, expand on this song.

raagas
29th December 2009, 04:47 PM

Now i too committed it.Man,it shattered all those images that took shape every time i listened to this song. And i always imagined it to be a background score. Somehow i cannot imagine the song in any other mode of picturisation. the keyboard chords and all, the song is so damn stylish in its execution and the pieces themselves moves as if they are narrating some story.Ah! Balu Mahendra disappoints!

vel
29th December 2009, 08:27 PM
been listening to ilaiyaraajavin geetanjali - one cannot express devotion through music, in any better way than this album. true, indha paadalgalil raajavin aanma karaindhirukkiradhu...the prelude of 'nee sangari' is sheer bliss and transforms you to a totally different world.

tvsankar
29th December 2009, 09:11 PM
Dear Vel,
Very True.

orae oru aanmavavadhu nu IR solvar.

Indha album vangiya en thambi yum nanum
Unarndhom IR ai......

Om Karam nee - anadha Low Pitch il IR sollum Om Karam nee

excellent.

( indha paatuku Ungalin analysis um very nice and True one)

ajithfederer
29th December 2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvMM8tGaaw

இருக்கிற வேலையை விட்டுட்டு கூட இந்த பாட்டை கேக்கலாம்.

:clap:

baroque
30th December 2009, 12:57 AM
God of Romance seeping through my skin, into my blood, nerves of my body and my soul! :bluejump:

ETERNAL BLISS!:musicsmile:

திருத்தேரில் வரும் சிலையோ
சிலைப்பூஜை ஒரு நிலையோ அழகின் கலையோ.......

sweeping சிங்காரரசம் prelude, bgm and percussion :ty: God for raising us !

Dose of பாலா for me & my friend Siva , our love for Shri.Ilayaraaja forever!
வினதா :)

Saagar
30th December 2009, 01:52 PM
Happy new Year to all!

A New Year special :

Songs from "Chaitram" (Malayalam), probably not something many in the forum may have heard.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ixjrz4mzxi

There are 2 songs : Hridaya raaga & Paadoo Sakhi - Both gems!

Sureshs65
30th December 2009, 06:16 PM
Vinatha,

Thanks for reminding us of that lovely song.

vel
30th December 2009, 07:21 PM
Dear Vel,
Om Karam nee - anadha Low Pitch il IR sollum Om Karam nee
excellent.

adhu mattum illa (i also liked that)...but avar 'saasvatham nee'nnu paadum podhu, we feel the same divinity that he has felt. Aani adicha maadhiri paadi iruppar...

andha CD'la innoru song...what lyrics by valee...and what apt tune by raaja...

enakkoru annai
valarthanal ennai
aval peyar mookaambaa
naan aval pillai, thuyar enakkillai
kaapal jagadhaambaal....

naan marandhaalaum, thaan maravaadha,
ullam annaiyin ullam....

oomaiyum pesa udhaviya devi
theemaigal theerpaal, sannidhi mevi....

They say Gods live in the heaven...these melodies are to me a piece of heaven on earth....my mornings melt with these songs in ilaiyaraajavin geetanjali.... :musicsmile:

madhu
30th December 2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkjXJmXtf0

beautiful melody.. :musicsmile:

baroque
30th December 2009, 10:27 PM
:)
:ty: Saagar.
மாலை கருக்கையில்.......ஸ்ரீ.யேசுதாஸ், ஜானகி :musicsmile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BfLQQvTok&feature=related
STUNNER from GLORIOUS 80s ILAYARAAJA!
vinatha.

Sanjeevi
31st December 2009, 12:14 AM
அள்ளி தந்த பூமி அன்னை அல்லவா (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUYVkzM01U)

மலேசியா வாசுதேவன் கால்ல விழனும் போல இருக்கு :notworthy:

இளமை நினைவை இசைக்கும் தெருக்கள்

Yaaruppa antha kavigar intha pudichukko :notworthy:

வசந்த கால கோலங்கள் (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuV8Hemr_l8)

badly missing S Janaki with Ilayaraja now a days :cry2:

baroque
31st December 2009, 01:01 AM
அள்ளி தந்த பூமி.......நண்டு......கண்ணதாசன்.
Nandu is a fine album!
Vintage wine.

kaise kahoon kuch keh na sakoon...janaki & bhupinder... CLASSIC early IR. violin, tabala, flute, guitar strumming... heavenly composition!

Vasantha kaala kolangal..... is a Bhimpalasi beauty.
Hey those of you immersed in Kunnathey...Pazhassi Raja...IR-Chithra ,
don't forget to revisit or check out
kuchh dil ne kaha.....Lata's mesmerizing solo from Hemant Kumar..1966 :musicsmile:

yeah....Janu, WE MISS YOU!
நல்லவர்க்கெல்லாம் சாட்சிகள் ......வாஸந்தி ராகா pathos in த்யாகம்.
காதல் நிலா தேய்ந்ததே........, பாடு நிலாவே தேன் கவிதை......all some amazing compositions in this raga.
From Udhaya Geetham.
பாடு நிலாவே தேன் கவிதை....
IR & Bala & Janu :musicsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDu4ILut3g

love, :musicsmile:
Vinatha. :)

tvsankar
31st December 2009, 01:43 AM
Dear Vel,
thanks for Enakoru annai.

ennoda most favourite song in this album is,
"Marandhen pirandhen"

Really am moved by HIS VOICE.

Aduthu dhan composition.

Lyrics is toooooooooo great

Ehdil naan inaiven
Edhai naan peruven
Ariyadhirundhen
adhu dhan adhu dhan
idhu dhan idhu dhan
ena naan alaindhen

vidivai varum nin
vadivel nizhalil
idam naan pidithen

IR kae indha nilai enral - Naam ellam Emmaathiram.
indha ennam dhan epodhum thondrum.....

Bhakthiyana Chakravagam....

Bhakthiyana Guitar...

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/moviedetail.asp?mid=TD00019

Sureshs65
31st December 2009, 12:25 PM
Wow. What excellent songs given by Sanjeevi and Vinatha. And yes, the whole 'Illayarajavin Geetanjali' album is bliss. And what can I say about 'Mellaiyonnu'. This song and 'Swapnangal' prove that Raja can create these sort of melodies whenever he feels like.

Listening to the much maligned 'Om Shanthi' song from the album with the same name. I know many of you will not give the time of the day for this song but I am enjoying it. Jai, in another thread, had mentioned that in songs such as these Raja is trying to use the synth and include all the techniques he has been using in live instruments. And that this is a difficult thing to do. I fully agree with Jai on his assessment. Just listen to the background music in the charanams of the 'Om Shanthi' song. There is so much happening and so many instruments joining and leaving. The guitars, the keyboards etc. Unlike current music composers, Raja doesn't seem to be separating each instrument but ensuring they all are sounded together as one. Very difficult to make out how many things are happening in the background but if we have the patience we can understand that lot of thought has gone into this seeming simple synth driven song.

I again quote Jai who said that Raja is now like a snake discarding his old shirt and wearing a new one. And I like the shirt he has been wearing for 'Om Shanthi'. (When I listen to 'Om Shanthi' I also listen to 'Chinna Polike' and what a bass guitar in that song!! Divine.)

madhu
31st December 2009, 07:07 PM
Hi Vinatha..

I think the lyricist of "alli thandha boomi" is Madukkur kannan and not kannadasan.

baroque
31st December 2009, 11:32 PM
oh..

HAPPY & PROSPEROUS 2010 TO YOU ALL!
LOVE,
Vinatha. :)

ajithfederer
1st January 2010, 01:01 AM
Sundari Kannal oru seythi from Thalapathi again.

app_engine
1st January 2010, 01:36 AM
It was sometimes funny but irritating at other occasions but my daughter's insistence on 'poo sirikkudhu' was almost total during our recent 10 days' trip on wheels (3000+ miles).

I like to hear this song once or twice but force fed many times during this trip due to the shouting insistence of the youngest :-)

Plum
1st January 2010, 07:44 AM
App, then there's a pattern herre. My daughter also prefers poo sirikkudhu to the exclusion of everything else.

Sureshs65
1st January 2010, 11:46 AM
app_eng,

Nice to see your daughter and Plum's daughter develop some good taste :) No such luck for me yet :(

Plum
1st January 2010, 06:23 PM
A series of posts on romantic Raja in Tamil films section (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2002073#2002073)
How many nuanced variations of a feeling can this man capture in his tune, in the orchestration, in the structure of the song?

Yearning extracted and packed into a capsule (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7ml_WH2HNY)

Dr Rajkumar has a voice that fits in perfectly to the mood of the song which is one of untold yearning. What's more, a fine rendition by the thespian.
When he got a national award for singing in the 90's, I remember being disappointed - that being the year of SPB and his "breathless" singng.(if I am right)
But here he smoothly dispels any bias I had against him with a brilliant rendition.

Continuing on the theme, let's move on to Telugu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNAghv6Gjds)
Sujatha. SPB. Ilaiyaraja. Bliss.

Ninna Choosina from Chinnabbayi, statistically and otherwise, the least accomplished movie of K Viswanath-Ilaiyaraja.
Until today, I had the advantage of not having watched the picturisation of a song that captures the first fragrance of love, and the intoxication of being in love.
Here's an audio only version for people who want to avoid the disappointing picturisation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWl0dUYiQvQ)

The best part of the song is SPB's entry at "E mAya marmam", where the song takes a tangential turn. There's also a rare instance of the second stanza offering a different tune - again a SPB special at "yElam vichitram...satyam shivam sundaram".

And I have deliberately kept the dulcet voice of Sujatha for the last word. From the starting humming to the "manthram Edho vesinattu" second stanza, and the closing out, she rules the song. It is criminal that this pair of velvety voices wasnt used for too many songs. Definition of romance.

Let's round off with our third sister language, Malayalam, on the same theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSBCBaGEyHY&feature=related)
A serene, sweet, romantic duet powered by the vocals of dasettan and S Janaki's lovely, well-measured humming in between. You heard the yearning of a distant love in Kannada, and the first flush of romance in Telugu. Here's the satiated, serene fulfilment of togetherness in Malayalam

tvsankar
1st January 2010, 06:26 PM
Plum,
Thanks for the links.

tvsankar
1st January 2010, 06:29 PM
Anraga - Dharmavathi ragama...

tvsankar
1st January 2010, 06:29 PM
Rajkumar - Singing style - Ipodhu dhan
therindhu konden.
Excellent Singer..........

Plum
1st January 2010, 06:34 PM
Usha , thansks for the raga information. A beautiful song, anuraga enaithu - one of the best tunes of Raja. Many a time, the magic is in the orchestration and the tune is just a place holder for the orch magic. This one captures feelings in the tune itself.

Yeah, Rajkumar's singing is way beyond my expectations.

tvsankar
1st January 2010, 06:43 PM
Usha , thansks for the raga information. A beautiful song, anuraga enaithu - one of the best tunes of Raja. Many a time, the magic is in the orchestration and the tune is just a place holder for the orch magic. This one captures feelings in the tune itself.

Rajkumar - kashta padama , easy a. humming seivar
parunga....

ADhula avaroda voice and breath control nalla theiryum....

indha song la theiryum parunga....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtIJepKU-LE&feature=related

tvsankar
1st January 2010, 06:45 PM
indha patula, 1st interlude la vara bits,

Thumbee vaa - kaapi ragam nyabaga paduthum.....

jaiganes
1st January 2010, 07:18 PM

particular phrase to watch out for raj's singing..

neeli baanana biduvaaga mugilellaa karegi aLuvanthe
ninna sero aase naa kannalli

The bhaava he expresses subtly underscores and continues with what Raaja would have expressed with the single wailing flute(carnatic) in the previous interlude. There is a reason why Raaja doesnt ask his singers to 'jam' and I think this is the reason - when the singers sing, the interlude and everything is already done with references to the emotion of the characters, a singer going overboard would easily alter the sense of balance here...

Sureshs65
1st January 2010, 07:43 PM
Plum,

Lovely song selections. (As it happens with Raja, you have selected songs of all languages except Tamil in the Tamil Film section :D )

I had first heard this song of Rajkumar and realized that he was a great singer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOrGcsVGELc . What a wonderful Thodi that he gives us. It was much later that I heard 'anuraga' and 'jeeva hoovagide'. As you say the yearning is perfectly conveyed by him and in 'jeeva hoovagide' the emotion of love is perfectly conveyed. If one conveys a bit a sadness, the other song conveys joy so well. And as Jai points out, those lines are sung so very well by Rajkumar. And more importantly Jai is on the mark when he talks about the overall unity of a Raja song and how Raja has stitched the patterns into the fabric already.

You have wonderfully written about 'ninu choosina' that I have nothing more to add :) I remember kicking myself after missing this album when it was released. I went to Tirupati during that time and the audio shop guy told me that the music wasn't too great and I didn't buy the tape!!! Shows you shouldn't believe anyone when it comes to Raja. 'Chinnabbaye' is an excellent album and I am making the best of it only now by listening to it regularly.

And 'Poomukhapadiyile..' I have no comments. The two songs in that movie are beyond any comment.

Sanjeevi
1st January 2010, 07:53 PM
For a change not a pure IR song but sung by Raaja, SPB and Chithra :shock:

Song from Yuvan's GOA

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmmqm1uzzl

any song by this rare singer combo (IR, SPB, KSC) before?

app_engine
1st January 2010, 08:23 PM
App, then there's a pattern herre. My daughter also prefers poo sirikkudhu to the exclusion of everything else.

:lol: There must be some ingradient in that song that addicts little children. It's interesting that she was referring to this song as "நான் சின்னப்பிள்ளையா இருக்கும்போது கேட்டது" :lol: and was so insistent that we pull out the running disk and place the one with this song.

With other songs, it's usually a demand to skip a couple before the fav is played. In this case, it was eject the current disk!

Sureshs65
1st January 2010, 10:44 PM
app,

I guess you must have stopped many times along the way. I mean hearing 'booze irukkudu' so many times must make you wonder where is all the booze? :lol:

jaiganes
1st January 2010, 11:02 PM
my daughter has taken a liking to Om Shanti . she wants to repeat it...

Sureshs65
1st January 2010, 11:03 PM
Jai,

Excellent taste. I am listening to that song in repeat mode.

tvsankar
1st January 2010, 11:17 PM
my daughter has taken a liking to Om Shanti . she wants to repeat it...

jaiganes,
Ungalukum ponnu iruka... adada..
konjam munnadi solli iruka koodadha....
anyway, edit seidhu, unga peraiyum add panren - IR SOTD il.

hmmm..
Ponna pethavanga - punniyavan...

app_engine
2nd January 2010, 12:33 AM
app,

I guess you must have stopped many times along the way. I mean hearing 'booze irukkudu' so many times must make you wonder where is all the booze? :lol:

Sureshs65,
:-)

But it was a 100% dry trip :-)

I had the Anjali songs on a CD and when 'vEgham vEgham' was played, my son identified it as the equivalent of ET ride in the universal studios. After that one of my daughter's demands was to play the "ET ride" song:-)

Sureshs65
2nd January 2010, 08:53 AM
But it was a 100% dry trip :-)

Must have been tough on you :D Reminds me of Calvin & Hobbes strip where Calvin keeps referencing to watefalls,dams etc to make his dad stop for a restroom break :D

jaiganes
2nd January 2010, 07:19 PM
my daughter loves the om shanti song and album - particular fan of Ottesi chebutha, when karthik sings ottesi - she sings superstar avtha....
But the problem is she doesnt like 'nenu nenuga' my favourite song in the film and that means I have to override and say one song for u and one for me. at the end of that song she would say
'Gum sum gumm' or 'Masaakali' or 'palaanadhu' and being the raaja fan with the wheel in hand, I invariably end up playing 'Gum sum gum' which is liked by both my wife and daughter both ARR fans and peace prevails on earth.. err. car..

tvsankar
2nd January 2010, 07:32 PM
my daughter loves the om shanti song and album - particular fan of Ottesi chebutha, when karthik sings ottesi - she sings superstar avtha....
But the problem is she doesnt like 'nenu nenuga' my favourite song in the film and that means I have to override and say one song for u and one for me. at the end of that song she would say
'Gum sum gumm' or 'Masaakali' or 'palaanadhu' and being the raaja fan with the wheel in hand, I invariably end up playing 'Gum sum gum' which is liked by both my wife and daughter both ARR fans and peace prevails on earth.. err. car..

Hahahahha.

Veetuku veedu vaasa padi.Family aga serndhu irukum podhu,
IR songs enralum, namaku pidchadhai kaetka konjam
kashta pada vendi dhan iruku.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sureshs65
3rd January 2010, 11:39 PM
Listened to 'panivizhum malar vanam'. The only difference is that I was not hearing to the original version!! There was some cookery program hosted by Anu Hasan and there was a guest, who along with Anu sang this song, while the cooking was happening. The beauty was that both of them sang the interlude as well. Many a times you wonder why Raja puts in so much effort in the interludes and if people really care about it. This showed how much even a very complex interlude of Raja can get deeply embedded into the popular psyche. Infact when singing the interlude they stopped at one place, looked at each other, said 'this part is complex', somehow sang that part and continued with the charanam.

app_engine
4th January 2010, 03:01 AM
What a great song panivizhum malarvanam :-)

As I was reading your post, the interludes automatically started playing in my mind. Also the overall arrangements - great fusion song!

Sureshs65
4th January 2010, 10:56 AM
True app_eng. When they were singing the interludes I too was singing along effortlessly (in my mind voice of course :) Effortless with actual voice is not fossible for me :)

raagas
4th January 2010, 12:21 PM
I again quote Jai who said that Raja is now like a snake discarding his old shirt and wearing a new one.

suresh, please give a better 'polika' :) Firstly it sounds blasphemous to say "Raaja is like a snake", though i get the intent right. And secondly, I dread snakes :)

thumburu
4th January 2010, 02:55 PM
We can put it as Raja is , like the universe or cosmos, constantly evolving but perfect at every stage of evolution

thumburu
4th January 2010, 03:10 PM
My last song was a never heard before kannada song , must be of the 80's period starting like "jeeva hoovaagide" , sung stupendously by evergreen Janaki and Dr.Rajkumar. There were some exotic songs packed alongside Suryakaanthi album and this gem was discovered then. The second interlude, something to die for has that distorted guitar sound which used to feature in the early 80's Raja songs like in "Nandu" etc. A beautiful "Kaapi" raagam on the same class of "sangathil paadaadha kavidhai" . Raja's "kaapi" is markedly different from the way ARR handles it. ARR mixes a bit of "Dhesh" chicory to his brew while Raja's chicory consists of keeravani. Yet both give a heady high in their own way

Sureshs65
4th January 2010, 07:38 PM
thumburu,

Surprised that you hadn't heard 'jeeva hoovagide' earlier. I too heard it very late indeed, (a few years back) but when someone says they haven't heard this song, I go, "What? You haven't heard it?" :D What a tune and what orchestration. Great singing by Rajkumar and Janaki. The way the charanam gets back to the pallavi, with the Kapi clearly shown, is agmark Raja. Those descents are possible only for him.

singamsoundar
4th January 2010, 07:59 PM
நாறினில் பூதொடுத்து மாலை ஆக்கினென்

தலைவர் குரலில் ,தாயம் ஒன்னு படத்தில்

கேட்டு பாருங்க

தேனாய் இனிக்கும்

soundar
http://rajarasigan.blogspot.com/

Sanjeevi
4th January 2010, 09:51 PM
நாறினில் பூதொடுத்து மாலை ஆக்கினென்

தலைவர் குரலில் ,தாயம் ஒன்னு படத்தில்

கேட்டு பாருங்க

தேனாய் இனிக்கும்

soundar
http://rajarasigan.blogspot.com/

Hello

Athu Irandil Onru padamungO

Sanjeevi
4th January 2010, 10:22 PM
ம்ஹ் ஹும் எப்டி எப்டி
ம்ஹ் ஹும் எப்டி எப்டி

அந்தரங்கம் யாவுமே - எப்டி எப்டி
சொல்வதென்றால் பாவமே - எப்டி எப்டி

ஏழையின் காதலை மாளிகை அறியுமா
காதலின் வாசனை ம்ஹ் ஹும் அறியுமா

Probably I listen this song first time in my life. I thouht Devathai Ilanthevi is the only outstanding song in Aayiram Nilavae Vaa. And I like Gangai Aatril at some extent despite P.Suseela (grrr, she simple doen't suit IR song). Back to this song wov what a song I missed in my life. Just sort of ninaivellam nithya material.

Truely a stunner :thumbsup:

Sanjeevi
4th January 2010, 10:31 PM
ம்ஹ் ஹும் எப்டி எப்டி
ம்ஹ் ஹும் எப்டி எப்டி

Probably I listen this song first time in my life. I thouht Devathai Ilanthevi is the only outstanding song in Aayiram Nilavae Vaa. And I like Gangai Aatril at some extent despite P.Suseela (grrr, she simple doen't suit IR song). Back to this song wov what a song I missed in my life. Just sort of ninaivellam nithya material.

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQDHUQjuMqw

SPB :thumbsup:

jaiganes
4th January 2010, 10:54 PM
ம்ஹ் ஹும் எப்டி எப்டி
ம்ஹ் ஹும் எப்டி எப்டி

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQDHUQjuMqw

SPB :thumbsup:

devadhai ilameni is a rework of keladhe nimageega from Geetha. a much better rework, I should add..

Sureshs65
4th January 2010, 11:12 PM
'kann malargalin azhaipidazh'. This from a CD which has songs sung by Raja. An outstanding CD. This song has a fantastic tune, great interludes and very nice singing. A smooth flowing song reminding you of the great tunes of R D Burman. It has that sort of 'Hindi' touch. (Start is very similar to 'Panna Ki Tammana Hai Ki'. I remember saying this earlier as well!!! )

app_engine
4th January 2010, 11:33 PM
'kaN malarkaLin azhaippidhazh' start is supposedly inspired / copied from money-money-money of ABBA :-)

Though the similarity is only for a few seconds, people have been shouting this as a copy for many years now. (And the same people will deny the pucca lift of mAmA miA by MSV in his famed ninaiththAlE inikkum or try to suppress by telling "mild inspiration", "fleeting resemblance" etc)

In any case, a great song with lovely bass score :-)

Sureshs65
5th January 2010, 09:51 AM
app_eng,

Now I remember RS also saying that people say this song resembles 'money money' of Abba. Maybe R D Burman also was inspired by the initial few seconds of this song. Something like 'kan malargalin' is would be way beyond Abba's comprehension!!

And yes, whether a song is a direct lift or copied has nothing to do with whether they sound the same or not. It all depends on whether the MD is your favorite one or not!! I remember reading (in another place) one fan reacting to the copying charge thus: "It is not a copy. The same notes are being played in the same instrument in the same way. That's all" :lol:

vel
5th January 2010, 04:17 PM
listened to 'adi komadha' from senthamizh paatu - i am always impressed with the short but sweet prelude of this song...trust SPB to value add to a song..he is a master i say...

app_engine
5th January 2010, 07:40 PM
Sureshs65 :-)

Revisit of azhagar malai songs (karuga maNi, kizhakku veLukkudhu, muththammA, onna enakku). With the signature, free-flowing bass scores hiding all the deficiencies of the singers, these songs continue to have a nice charm :-)

Sureshs65
5th January 2010, 10:09 PM
app_eng,

Me revisited all 'Valmiki' songs including the 'booze' one :) Excellent album. I am sure songs would have got more popular had the movie even been half decent. Unfortunate that these songs did not reach a wider audience.

Listening to 'Suryakanthi' songs now. There is one song in this 'jaikona' which reminds me of AM songs. I am liking this song but I am sure many will feel this is 'dated'. Doesn't stop my liking though. Good energy in the song. If you haven't heard it yet, do give it a listen.

raagas
6th January 2010, 09:06 AM
Suresh,

Valmiki has the one of his all-time best nuggets - Kooda Varuviya.I would give a million for that song alone (just that i dont have a million :) )

Sureshs65
6th January 2010, 09:51 AM
raagas,

We can always give best what we don't have :lol: Yup. Kooda Varuviya is a gold nugget indeed.

tvsankar
6th January 2010, 10:10 AM
listened to 'adi komadha' from senthamizh paatu - i am always impressed with the short but sweet prelude of this song...trust SPB to value add to a song..he is a master i say...

MSV and IR combo dhanae idhu?

tvsankar
6th January 2010, 10:30 AM
Senthamizh paatu

Indha padathil - Vanna vanna by Jikki is altime
favourite no.

Wat a flute work.... Simple and friendly Guitar.

Head phone il kaetal dhan inhda beauty ai feel
panna mudiyum...

thumburu
7th January 2010, 03:29 PM
More rant on "Paa" continues :
Was thoroughly disappointed not to find the incredible end credits theme music in the CD
Though I like all the 3 versions of "mudi mudi"'s , the second "udi udi", by ShilpaRao takes the cake. What a sleek, suave composure the song emits !!! Again, I can only sigh at the thought of "gum sum" set to a fresh tune with all the jazz in the second interlude intact . "Hitcki hitchki" has a lacklustre , dull feel but still not without some shimmering moments like the lovely curl when she sings the charanam last line "hoton ki baten kabhi .." with all that accompanying music , the quaint , funky sounds in the pallavi

Sureshs65
7th January 2010, 05:52 PM
Currently listening to Suryakanthi. Jai had earlier spoken about how the chorus is wonderfully used in 'solpa jasti soundu maadu'. Very good work indeed. I love the way claps are used for rhythm in the second interlude. The second interlude is lovely.

app_engine
7th January 2010, 08:09 PM
the second "udi udi", by ShilpaRao takes the cake. What a sleek, suave composure the song emits !!!

Definitely! The way she sings 'ittu fAkku sE' is mesmerising:-)

shimmering moments like the lovely curl when she sings the charanam last line "hoton ki baten kabhi .."

My most fav part in the whole pA album (I've mentioned my liking for this last line a couple of times before as well)!

tvsankar
8th January 2010, 11:39 PM
kaadhal jaadhi

kaathae en kaathae by Karthick

Nice Flute......

very nice beat... Beats also has some expressions in HIS
music..

tvsankar
9th January 2010, 12:02 AM
Manasae en manasae - kadhal jaadhi

Hindi paatu mahdiri oru style....

Night mood nu manasu nenaikaradhu.

Villege - Night - very sweet to IR. He produced
Beautiful Sounds for this situations...

Unakena thanae innerama
- Ponnu ooruku pudhusu

Ennoda village il, Iravu 11 maniku , enga veetu road melae
maatu vandi pogum satham kaekum...

indha paatai kaetadhum - IR melae romba inspire agiten....

Naam kaetkum oru sound and mood - Paata varuma.. ipadi azhaga nu,....

rajkumarc
9th January 2010, 02:02 AM
Nattu Vecha Rosa Chedi from Aranmanai Kili sung by PS. A beautiful song expressing village love and well rendered by PS.

I always love PS's village based songs for IR - Rasaathi manasule, Muthumani Maalai etc etc

Revisiting 90s Raaja after some time. Guess I will be stuck there for a while.

baroque
9th January 2010, 03:57 AM
Just enjoyed மலரே மலரே உல்லாசம் ....with the regular recurring ticks. :musicsmile:
LOVE YOU ILAYARAAJA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWjmNLjDjs
vinatha.

Plum
9th January 2010, 01:24 PM
Usha, unakkena thaane is a great pick. Starting from the lazy flute to IR's "young", raw drawl, it is one comforting ride on a kacha village road in a bullock cart on a late evening.The interlude with theni sellum roattu vazhi is similar to kathazham kaattu vazhi a couple of decades later.
Another song that brings an authentic village is vaada vaatudhu.

Sureshs65
9th January 2010, 01:36 PM
Plum,

Another typical village bullock cart song which I have been hearing lately is 'enna paatu pada'. Lovely the way he sings 'vandi podum sadham paatuketa sandham. nikame oodu idu sarkaru roadu'.

app_engine
9th January 2010, 06:57 PM
During school days, we made a lot of ridicule of 'enna pAttuppAda' while simply embracing 'vAda vAttudhu' :-) There was another song in the same movie 'kOzhi, muttakOzhi' and as the nickname for one of our ball badminton team mates was 'kOzhi' (he hated the name BTW), this song was used as his anthem :-)

And we had a match in Batlagundu (vaththalakkuNdu in Thamizh) which is close to the Theni / PeriyakuLam area and visited Vaigai dam after the match. The bus fellow played 'kOzhi muttakkOzhi' (along with other songs of sakkaLaththi) and we had a great time making fun of our own kOzhi in the bus :-)

eagle
9th January 2010, 11:07 PM
Indha topic oda title a maathanum.... whats the current ilayaraaja song you are listening to :).... whenever im into this forum i am invariably listening to raaja... :musicsmile:

Sureshs65
9th January 2010, 11:23 PM
eagle,

:D I have a friend who is a great Ledzeplin fan. When I asked which was the best Ledzep album he has ever heard, he replied, "whatever I am hearing now".

app_eng,

I had missed lot of movies like 'sakkalathi' when they were released, since I was not staying in TN. To make up for that, I am listening to those songs now. In India, film songs are intimately interwoven into our childhood memories.

app_engine
10th January 2010, 06:49 PM
Sureshji,
Like I said in the "BGM awakening" thread in the current topics section, I didn't see any movie between the 1976 to 1981 time period save one solitary Dharam-Veer. The few missed gems like 16 vayadhinlE I caught up with later during college days (also seen many times on DVD).

OTOH, for the sakkaLaththi kind of movies that were left out during that time period, I'm actually thankful :-) going by the standards of song picturizations of many of them as seen on youtube. (In other words, one didn't "miss" them at all)

Latest IR song - 'un vAzhvE' from maththiya chennai. The saraNam has a distinct charm :-)

jaiganes
10th January 2010, 08:17 PM
alli ilam poove - thanks usha nga. indha paattu my daughter's favourite #1 aai pochu...

Sureshs65
10th January 2010, 08:24 PM
app_eng,

Very true about picturaization of early Raja songs. That is definitely not a miss :) What was missed is the excitement of hearing a new song over the radio. It was such a thrilling experience in those days, waiting for our favorite song to come on. Nowadays we get songs on the net even before the audio is released!!!

Sureshs65
10th January 2010, 08:25 PM
Jai,

I envy you!!! I had played this song in my car quite a few times but no reaction from my daughters. They react only if there are any English words in the songs!!!

K
10th January 2010, 10:58 PM
"Kaana Kidaikaatha PerumaaN" from "Ramana Saranam Saranam" Ilayaraja's special Album for Ramanasharamam, Divine Experience, vera Enna Solla?

ajithfederer
11th January 2010, 03:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRiTjObUXSM

Chinnanjiru vayadhil - meendum kokila. I have already asked this question before and I am asking it again. Is the kid at Kamal's lap at 3.18 Yuvan shankar Raja ?? :huh:.

baroque
11th January 2010, 04:54 AM
மீண்டும் கோகிலா is early இளையராஜா masterpiece ! :musicsmile:
gorgeousகமலஹாசன் :redjump:
sexy ஸ்ரீதேவி!
EROTIC இளையராஜா பொன்னான மேனி ..... :swinghead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUW-yoAJ1M :musicsmile:

vinatha. :)

rajkumarc
11th January 2010, 09:55 AM
Another one from the 90s.

Muthu Mani from the movie Adharmam. Lovely tune, nice prelude and interludes, beautiful SPB & SJ. Romance doesn't get any better when SPB & SJ sing for Raaja.

http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00059.html

tvsankar
11th January 2010, 10:29 AM
vinu,
thanks for the youtube.

beautiful picturisation...

kamal kiss panninadhum, sridevi eerathala thodachipa..
Perfect culture.. hehehehhe

last la, baby anju , thanniyai kotindu, aadum dance
very naughty .,.

Astonishing Flute... indha flute kagavae indha paatu
romba pidikum,...

Anway. SJ and KJY - Did their job Perfectly......

tvsankar
11th January 2010, 10:37 AM
plum,
Thanks for the repsonse.

vaada vaatudhae - after mid night, village mood, frog sound, Amaidhiyana night - idhai
ellam isaiyil unara vaitha IR... Great.....

tvsankar
11th January 2010, 10:46 AM
Ipoadhum nipen
eppodhum nirpen - Mano

Unnai Vaazthi padugiren

Inimaiyana Male Chorus....

Head phone la kaeka vendiya paatu...

Beautiful Sterio work.....

Skateing poindu padara madhiri oru paatu....

baroque
11th January 2010, 10:46 AM
Watch the movie, Usha!
My favorite kamal-Ir classic!
vinatha.

tvsankar
11th January 2010, 10:50 AM
vinu,
enjoy...

baroque
11th January 2010, 10:51 AM
:musicsmile:

tvsankar
11th January 2010, 10:51 AM
Unnai vaazhthi padugiren

Kaalai kkuyilgalae......... SJ in Rendition...

Excellent....

Lady Signerai support seiyum Beats...
Simple and sweet.......

tvsankar
11th January 2010, 08:23 PM
un manasula patu dhan irukudhu

Sad version - IR's Violin - sogathai express seiyum
vidhamae Great dhan...

Indha paatin starting portion la Cello vum iruku dhanae...

singers pinnadi oru violin mazhaiyae varudhu....

FLute and Beats - Epadi azhaga sogathai kaatudhu...

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00458.html

Un manasula - SPB and KSC

Sureshs65
11th January 2010, 09:36 PM
Listened to Paa and Pazhassiraja back to back. The more I listen to 'Mudi Mudi' and 'Udi Udi' the more I realize that there is a lot more going in the background during the charanams. What an excellent feeling he gets for 'Udi Udi' with the orchestration!!

Pazhassiraja has two songs 'Odathandil' and 'Ambum Kombum' which join the illustrious company of 'Putham Pudhu Kaalai', 'Malargale Nadaswarangal', 'Kannil Paarvai' as songs that didn't get picturized. (I guess 'Ambum Kombum' was partially picturized but we can included it in this list.) As Kannadasan once said, 'sollada solluku vilai ethum illai', we can also say the same about these songs which didn't get picturized :) Priceless gems.

app_engine
11th January 2010, 09:40 PM
*** Mild warning - Posting on an "A" song (adults only) ***

(Not for the mukkal munagal stuff but the lyrical content. I won't be comfortable listening to this song when below-18 children are around)

உட்டாலக்குடி (மை டியர் மார்த்தாண்டன்)

on repeat mode this morning.

I don't know where this CD was all these days - some "Raja hits volume 5" - and has all the MDM songs. Listened to this particular song after many years (possibly heard last in 1990 when it played repeatedly in our bachelors' home, often making us dance) and I'm currently under its spell!

Gangai Amaran starts singing it after some sweet bul-bul-thArA sounds with typical IRish guitar chords accompaniment!

Possibly the situation of the song is a cliche of TF - showing some folk singer sing it on a street and the hero later dreams / sings with his own version with the heroini + group dancers:-)

The IR ultA thingy is interesting though - the folk singer sings with guitar chords while the hero (and the playback singer SPB) sings with an outrageous attack of "kuththu"!

The way in which the song transitions from GA to SPB is phenomenal (can use any adjective here). If anyone is doubting IR was not after "sounds" or "innovative percussion arrangements" etc, please listen to this transition portion - which is as innovative as the pazhassi rAja percussion sounds!

That loop continues through out the song, with varying pace and is quite a killer!

SPB enjoys himself - the way he says 'appA' at the end of the 'veththala...' line should be listened to by all the singers of current gen with text-book-sincerity. Thru out the song, his ability to modulate is being showcased in a dazzling manner!

I haven't seen the movie (neither the song on youtube). However, it may not be bad - knowing that Prabhu was on the screen and GA was the movie director. Will give it a try later in the evening on youtube...

tvsankar
11th January 2010, 09:54 PM
app,
NIce one.

Goa culture paatu madhiri oru feelings..

wat a swing...

Starting speed enna

poga poga change ara style enna...

Really its a music journey.......... nice one.

tvsankar
11th January 2010, 09:55 PM
suresh,
solladha solluku - enna paatu..
theirnja paatu nu thieryaradhu.
enna paatu nu theiryalaiyae.

Sureshs65
11th January 2010, 10:08 PM
Usha :evil: The evergreen 'naan pesa ninaipathellam'.

app: Good description of the song. Can't comment more because I haven't heard any song from this movie :oops: Will need to listen to this urgently.

rajasaranam
12th January 2010, 09:47 AM
Stumbled upon a song Titled 'Ichendru Ichendru' from the movie 'Enakku Naane Neethipathi'. an Instantly likeable song which reminds of 'Azhagu malar aada' at some places - Dont know whether they are the same Raaga or the tune structure is like that. There is another song titled 'Thiruda Thiruda' from the same film which is also quiet good.
http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00144.html

rajasaranam
12th January 2010, 10:29 AM
Was listening to 'Thavamindri kidaitha Varamae' (http://agnicreation.com/A/Anbu/Tamilmp3world.Com%20-%20Thavamindri%20Kidai.mp3) from some obscure movie 'Anbu' and I was very much convinced that the song was by Raaja. I even Connected the parts of the Charanam with 'Nee Thoongum Nerathil' from 'Manasellam (http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00343.html)'. Surprisingly the former song is composed by Vidyasaagar! and both films got released in 2003? Now is this just a coincidence or is it that both songs have no connections at all and my mind is making it up due to Hariharan/Sadhana Sargam?

Plum
12th January 2010, 10:50 AM
Was listening to 'Thavamindri kidaitha Varamae' (http://agnicreation.com/A/Anbu/Tamilmp3world.Com%20-%20Thavamindri%20Kidai.mp3) from some obscure movie 'Anbu' and I was very much convinced that the song was by Raaja. I even Connected the parts of the Charanam with 'Nee Thoongum Nerathil' from 'Manasellam (http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00343.html)'. Surprisingly the former song is composed by Vidyasaagar! and both films got released in 2003? Now is this just a coincidence or is it that both songs have no connections at all and my mind is making it up due to Hariharan/Sadhana Sargam?
:-) - For long, I thought it was by Karthik.

raagas
12th January 2010, 11:21 AM
Stumbled upon a song Titled 'Ichendru Ichendru' from the movie 'Enakku Naane Neethipathi'. an Instantly likeable song which reminds of 'Azhagu malar aada' at some places - Dont know whether they are the same Raaga or the tune structure is like that. There is another song titled 'Thiruda Thiruda' from the same film which is also quiet good.
http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00144.html

Ah.. one reason why i love visiting this hub. We get to know so many hidden gems. I equate this exercise of digging out IR's gems to google mailbox. no end... still counting... Thanks a lot RS for suggesting this wonderful composition. Just loved it. The rhythms are interesting. 'Azhagu malar aada' was in Chandrakouns and i guess even this song is in same raaga. I have a weird feeling that a parallel tune to this song, has been used in Telugu in some feeling. Cant point out which one exactly..

Bala (Karthik)
12th January 2010, 12:13 PM
Experts clarify but i think "Nee thoongum nerathil" is Keeravani and "Thavamindri" is darmavathi (or a similar raaga?)? However, RS sonna madhiri, both songs have a similar 'feel'

tvsankar
12th January 2010, 05:19 PM
suresh,
Nethiki neraiya paatai kaetutu...

Solaldha - indha line ku melae song nyabagam
vara matenu solliduthu..

adhan kaeten... heheheh...

now am hearing

Ponmani theiril - Jegan Mohini

lai la lai la lai la - paei kathara madhiri oru style...

Hulk oda writings dhan nyabam varum indha paatai kaekara apo..

Sureshs65
12th January 2010, 08:31 PM
Usha,

"paei kathara madhiri oru style" and "Hulk oda writings dhan nyabam varum". What a connection :lol: BTW, where is Hulk hiding nowadays?

app_engine
12th January 2010, 08:34 PM
There was a mistake in my post on "uttaLakkudi" - the director is not GA but Prathap Pothen :-) (per thiraippAdal website)

அதானே பார்த்தேன், ட்ரம்ஸும் கிடாரும் விளையாடியிருக்கே :-)

The revisit of MDM continues today, with another terrific song - இளவட்டம் கை தட்டும் டும் டும்

Sureshji, you need to listen to MDM songs on an urgent basis - even keeping aside all the new releases of IR :-) This is one album that can easily rival the likes of agni *

The freaky drum play at the start of this song should silence any crazy person who wants to label IR as a tablA man! I'm amazed at the drum work for the whole song and wonder where TFM would have been if he was allowed to continue in the same fashion into the 90's. (Unfortunately, TFM has been doomed to praise much simpler, pedestrian percussion patterns as landmark rhythm works :-( போகட்டும்)

If that song had been picturised on Prabhu (or for that matter, most TF heroes), I pity him. இந்த மாதிரிக்"குழப்ப அடி"க்கு எப்படியப்பா டான்ஸ் ஆடறது?

This song belongs to the drummer (Sivamani?), SPB & SJ - in that order. (IR shows up in the interludes and also in the saraNam melody, but the overall production value of the song is somewhat lower, especially the chorus and vocal harmony parts sound cheap).

One of the rare instances where SPB easily scores over SJ (normally it's a tough fight or a slight edge for SJ IMO but in this song SPB is the king despite the Sridevi'isque laughter that SJ throws in, at an appropriate moment).

Though the 'பூப்போல் பூப்போல் பாப்பா' portion sounds like a S-G song (why am I always reminded of pattukkOtta ammALU whenver I think of this composer pair...and this part's bass score is similar to that song), the song overall has IR's stamp.

The interludes sound like something that IR could have come up in a matter of minutes (i.e. for us who have listened to 100's of such from him). However, it would have been unthinkable for even most successful MD's to come up with such phrases - as tough for them as quantum physics for a 3rd grader :-)

Is the song based on kalyANi? (SJ sings 'kalyANi' in the second saraNam - otherwise I don't have a clue)...

tvsankar
12th January 2010, 09:01 PM
Usha,

"paei kathara madhiri oru style" and "Hulk oda writings dhan nyabam varum". What a connection :lol: BTW, where is Hulk hiding nowadays?

suresh,
idhai naan sonnadharku kaarnaam

ipadi ezhudhi irukaenae... indha paatuku
Hulk evvalavu azhaga ezhudhinar nu nenahcien.
solliten...
ana neenga ipadi kaekara madhiri ayduthu... :lol:

tvsankar
12th January 2010, 09:07 PM
app,
indha madhiri kuzhapa adiku

dance steps ku kashsta padradhu screen la
nalalvae theiryum.....

Sureshs65
12th January 2010, 09:48 PM
app,

Listened to 'uttalakadi' and 'ilavattam' from MDM now. As you say the transition in 'uttalakadi' is done very well. The charanam rhythm is very interesting with a metallic sounding instrument playing a different beat wrt to tabla beat. I know this instrument but don't know its name :( 'ilavattam' definitely is a rhythmic delight. The first interlude is a killer. The drummer must have had a gala time. Not sure who was playing the drums them. Shivamani or Puru or someone else.

BTW, nice deduction. The raga is indeed Kalyani. Not a in-your-face type of Kalyani but a subtle one. The flavor is seen more in the charanams.

Sureshs65
12th January 2010, 10:14 PM
RS,

Bala (K) is correct. Vidyasagar song is based on Dharmavathi/Madhuvanthi. While Raja's songs seems to start in the Keeravani scale (very evident when the pallavi ends) but the charanam suggests Shivaranjani. Now Shivaranjani / Ranjani are also derived from Dharmavathi (I think so.) Hence the similarity. As usual, the shift from Keeravani to Shivaranjani is seamless.

The feel of the charanam of the Raja song is similar to R D Burman's 'mere naina sawan badhon' from the film 'Mehbooba' : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnORRvCp5ko Ofcourse, this is just one of the multitude of Sivaranjani's that dot IFM.

Sureshs65
12th January 2010, 10:21 PM
RS,

Thanks for the 'ichendru' song. I think the similarity is more due to the song structure. The beat structure is kanda nadai in both the songs and hence the similarity.

eagle
12th January 2010, 11:55 PM
RS,

Thanks for the 'ichendru' song. I think the similarity is more due to the song structure. The beat structure is kanda nadai in both the songs and hence the similarity.

Its given Malaysia vasudevan sung the song... is it? sounds very different.... i am a great of MV :D

Plum
13th January 2010, 08:55 AM
Raaagas, azhagu malar aada has a telugu version because the movie itself has a telugu version starring bhanupriya and bhanuchander. Unfortunatley, I don't remember the name of the movie or song

Sureshs65
13th January 2010, 09:56 AM
eagle,

No. The credits are wrong. It is not by MV. It is a duet involving SJ and Jeyachandran.

Sureshs65
13th January 2010, 10:00 AM
Plum,

I think the movie was called 'Manchi Manasulu' and this particular song went something like 'damarukamu'.

raagas
13th January 2010, 02:44 PM
Plum, you are right. And Suresh was right too. I checked it. It was Damarukamu moga from manchi Manasulu.

Thanks guys,for that info.

And I was thinking... it is just the leadline structure that is similar in Icchendru. I mean, Icchendru now seems like Suddha Dhanyasi to me. what say!

Sureshs65
13th January 2010, 02:51 PM
raagas,

'Ichendru' is Suddha Dhanyasi. The beat has Kanda Nadai (thaka thakita) and hence the same feel. Another song in which the kanda nadai is clearly shown is 'poovai virinju' from the Malayalam movie 'Atharvam'. The song itself is based on Keeravani ragam but you get the similar rhythmic feel as 'azhagu malar aada'.

raagas
13th January 2010, 03:01 PM
Suresh,

Right! Songs like these are traps laid by maestro! :)

jaiganes
13th January 2010, 06:29 PM
Suresh,

Right! Songs like these are traps laid by maestro! :)
and everything comes to him like 'nana nanana nanana'
very difficult to comprehend the consistent coincidental genius....

Sureshs65
13th January 2010, 10:00 PM
Listening to 'enge nee sendralum' (Kannukulle) and 'poothadu poovu' (Jaganmohini).

The Kannukulle song has a very nice rhythm in the pallavi. The claps sort of playing counter to the main rhythm. The charanam gets interesting with the initial part being supported by a very gentle rhythm and the violins and the second part getting the original rhythm back.

In 'poothathu poovu', in the charanam there is a keyboard run and a constantly running rhythm in the background. Did not notice it earlier. Wonderful piece of music. Just when you think you have got everything that is there in the song, up comes something you have not heard till then. Sometimes you wonder if this man is a musician or a magician!!

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 10:03 PM
Thai pongalum..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qozumxEIsmY&feature=fvw

Appy Pongal! :thumbsup:

app_engine
13th January 2010, 10:05 PM
Sureshji,

Per IR, he is still learning music. OTOH, he has claimed to have done "siththu vElai" with notes or some equivalent word for trickery , i.e. magic.

So, IR's answer is magician :-)

ajithfederer
13th January 2010, 10:10 PM
6 more pages for a glorious 100 of Raaja sir's songs :thumbsup:

app_engine
13th January 2010, 10:23 PM
What a sweet experience this morning with 'chik-chik-chA' of mounam sammadham, that is combined with the MDM songs on the CD that I've posted about recently!

Usha Chechi, you need to listen to this KSC song in the head phones (and check out the difference from how IK songs were recorded)! Nice, nice percussion arrangements!

I think the whole year 1990 should go as one of the best times for the percussion group among IR's team. The whole MDM had been a joy ride for them. Then they had MMKR, Anjali and many others during that time period.

Excellent work by that group for this chik-chik-chA song also. IR's 1990 version of a gym song I think (possibly Amala on screen in this Mammootty movie).

The interludes, vocal harmony - everything is top class for a song with abysmal standards of lyric - esp pallavi. Also, Usha Udhup could have been a more apt choice than KSC for this, though Chitra brings her own charm at many places - singing effortlessly.

Can be easily termed as a smooth-jazz song with a variety of wind instruments, strings making merry. There're also "new" sounds (e.g. the one that follows the 'மேலும், மேலும், இன்பம் வரும் நாளைக்கு' ) :-)

ajithfederer
14th January 2010, 03:34 AM
Kalyana Maalai - Puthu Puthu Arthangal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihQ-_LNUhHM&feature=channel)

tvsankar
14th January 2010, 04:09 PM
app,
Thanks for the beautiful song.
Very NIce guitar work.

indha paatai,

idhu dhan first time...

Nejamave, rare songsa solreena app.
thank you.

tvsankar
14th January 2010, 04:40 PM
Now am hearing,

Gana gana - Komberi mookan..

Wat a rendition by Janaki....

80s GEM of IR.

app_engine
14th January 2010, 09:37 PM
You're welcome Usha chEchi :-)

I thought you're the "rare song" specialist (going by the ones that you keep throwing in the SOTD thread). I'm happy that halwa got served to thAmirabharaNi :-)

app_engine
14th January 2010, 09:45 PM
Recently IR has made a comment that many ask him to compose citing another song as a reference. Though he appeared to be not so thrilled with that idea, there had been instances when such demands produced stunners. (Especially when the person demanding is Kamal - pudhu mAppiLLaikku, inji iduppazhagi are two glorious examples).

When listening to the songs of mounam sammadham, though, one can understand the feelings of IR. Practically all of them have "references" :-) (Actually the movie itself was with reference to Mammootty's works like CBI diary kuRippu in Malayalam and it doesn't surprise me that each song has a reference).

The famous 'kalyANaththEn nilA' was possibly composed referring to the pArthEn siriththEN, vAn nilA nilA alla etc, from the POV of lyric.

The song that I posted about yesterday, 'chik-chik-chA' did definitely have references to the 'vikram-vikram' song. Please check the second interlude.

Now the third song, which was on repeat this morning, thanks to the sweet KSC, has it's reference too. Possibly the director / producer said, "குழலூதும் கண்ணனுக்கு மாதிரியே ஒரு பாட்டு வேணும் ராஜா சார்" :-)

The result is the song "ஒரு ராஜா வந்தானாம், எனக்கொரு ரோஜா தந்தானாம்". The whole structure of the song resembles the former. The telling signs are there in the saraNam tune, second interlude etc.

A sweet song, nevertheless and repeat worthy :-)

app_engine
14th January 2010, 09:51 PM
While posting the above, I was reminded of the "composing session discussions" that they've included in the guNA audio, where the director - Santhana Bharathy - asks IR to compose in this way. "அண்ணா, உங்க தனிப்பாடல் திரட்டுல ஒண்ணு இருக்குமே, அது மாதிரிப்போடுங்கண்ணா" :-)

The supposed result is the stunner ' appanendRum ammaiyendRum' !

ajithfederer
14th January 2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwxeOMWWgXY

I some how like Mano's singing better than Chitra's (??). And Rajni always looks good in formal dresses like pattu veshti sattai.

Lyrics :).

app_engine
15th January 2010, 12:37 AM
Any opportunity to drive is one for listening to some sweet music also :-)

So, a lunch to bid-adieu to a former project mate who's migrating back to India, that too on a sunny day in 30's (i.e. in F, after a snowy / slippery prior week), gave a lot of refreshment - the 50 mile drive notwithstanding.

Back to MDM this time and the inimitable SPB casually belting out பாக்கு வெத்தல போட்டேன் பத்தல :-)

I think MDM must be one of the most irritating album to irir123 - each song has some "vocal" கசமுசா :-)

In the case of this song, it's the ghOshti telling 'டுகுடு, டகுடு, டுகுடு' after every line! I found this enjoyable in each of the song. Ofcourse, I have my own 'soththakkadalai' experiences w.r.t certain words (I've already mentioned about mainA in IR songs. Also any variant of 'singaram' is not OK with me - singAri, singAra etc and the iLavattam song has this at one place).

OTOH, the 'cham-cham' of saththam varAmal, 'dum-dum' of iLavattam, this dagudu-dugudu and similar sounds in each & every of song of MDM is simply enjoyable :-)

So, apart from freaky drum work, nice guitar work, all MDM songs have this "voice instrumentals" as another common factor. We should also mention the predominant use of a variety of wind instruments (one can hear trumpet, horn, pipe, sax etc everywhere).

Great album!

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 02:29 AM
af,
Rajini veshti shirt la epavum smart dhanae..

Raaku muthu raaku - indha paatu dance adara speed ai padunga.....

veshti katindu ipadi oru speed a dance a adina great man.......

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 02:31 AM
app,
Thirunelveli kae Halwa garadhu idhu dhana... :D

MDM album - ipo dhan rasikareengala....

really all songs are Gems..

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 02:36 AM
Kaviriyae kavikuyilae - Adutha varisu

wat a song...........

Amazing Preludes.SJ's Humming..........

Creates Mood - Raaja is Raja......

2nd interlude il SPB humming ai thodarandhu varum
interludes - kaapi ragama...

thumburu and suresh - sollungo pl...

app_engine
15th January 2010, 02:47 AM
Usha chEchi,
Actually MDM was played loudly in my stereo in the bachelor home that 5 of us lived in 1990, with a cook who stayed with us :-) வேலை முடிஞ்சு வந்தா ஒரே பாட்டும் கூத்துமா இருக்கும்.

However, this album was never around with me after that. Last year or so, I got one song in a CD (saththam varAmal by KSC / Mano) and I've almost forgotten how other songs sounded (almost 20 years now).

Even the short one 'veettukkuLLE' is jumpy! The only so-so song is Mano's 'O azhagu nilavu sirikka maRandhadhE' and even that has nice tabla arrangements for the saraNam (typical IR).

Good album to revisit; and this CD has MDM, MMKR and 3 songs from mounam sammadham. Not one can be heard just once! (No question of skipping any, ofcourse)

rajkumarc
15th January 2010, 03:55 AM
Kaviriyae kavikuyilae - Adutha varisu

wat a song...........

My favorite from Adutha Vaarisu. I loved the percussions in the prelude and it had a very different feel for the songs from that period.

Also, right after the second interlude, SPB sings some verses in a different language. Any one know what language is that and what does that mean?

I liked a similar non-tamil verse from another song in Priya - Ennuyir Nee Thaane. Not sure if the language was Malay and was sung by KJY & Jency. It was the perfect predule for that song.

rajkumarc
15th January 2010, 06:15 AM
Ooradangum Saamathile from Pudhupattti Ponnuthayee. Lovely tune, beautiful singing by Uma Ramanan & Swarnalatha. Love the overall village night ambience the song creates and the way it brings out the yearning of love of two women.

This is a perfect song for a night time listen. Love the flute & violins in the interludes and the subtle drums throughout the song.

90s Raaja has a lot of underrated gems.

http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00535.html

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 11:35 AM
'Ooradangum' is a very nice song and rajkumarc has described the effect it creates in me, of a late evening village ambiance, though I have not seen the picturisation. Need to now listen to MDM and Adutha Varisu song.

Revisiting 'Mallepoovu'. I am one of the many lucky ones who didn't watch the movie, unlike Plum :lol: Love the songs. The title song just caresses you. The Manjari song 'gajula' is soothing as well. (Miss her in Raja songs nowadays. Whenever she works with Raja, the song generally becomes a hit. ) A lovely duet of Raja and Shreya 'Chandamama Raave' and my wife's favorite, 'chirugali chirugali'. A superb album which was buried by the movie director secretly.

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 12:09 PM
rajkumar,
Adutha varisu - Beautiful album.

Rajini + IR combo - pidikadha boys iruka mudiyumaa.....

en Son ku IR ai therinjadhae - Rajini film nala dhan...

Oora therinjukiten - indha paatula dhan
MD yaar enna nu kaetu therinjindan.....

OOradaugum samathula - en son kum romba pidikum.

avaoda 3rd std listings idhu ellam...

ipo enna nu thieryalai.

ella IR songs um kaepan.

ooradangum samathula - wat a looop...

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 12:26 PM
Ichendru ichendru

Indha paatai kaetal - IR oda control power
nalla thieryum....

Beautiful Flow ai control panna Raaja ku
eppadi manasu varudho nu nenaika vaikara paatu idhu.....

Only one Raaja - Isaiyai - Time sense il control seiya........

rajasaranam
15th January 2010, 12:26 PM
The famous 'kalyANaththEn nilA' was possibly composed referring to the pArthEn siriththEN, vAn nilA nilA alla etc, from the POV of lyric.

Interestingly the Information about this song was shared by Gangai Amaran in one of his TV Interviews.
It seems that GA was Very much impressed by his brothers composition 'Vasantha Kaala kolangal', that he tweaked the song a bit and created his own version 'Neela Vaana Odaiyil'. Listening this song Raaja said playfully 'Oh you have manipulated it like this, so let me manipulate your song now' and came up with 'Kalyaana Thaenilaa'. :)

It is Indeed Sad that Raaja is missing such Challenges and fun he shared with GA these days. :cry:

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 12:29 PM
suresh,
mallepoove - kaekanam.

chirugali - aa dhinagalu dhanae?

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 06:40 PM
No Usha. That is a different song 'Sirugali'. This one is from Mallepoovu, 'chirugali'. It is a superb song.

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 08:01 PM
Usha,

Reg the 'Adutha Varisu' song, listening to it for the first time. The SPB singing in charanam does indicate 'Kaapi' ragam briefly. I am not sure about the raga of the song though. There is a definite change in the raga between the pallavi and charanam. The start indicates as of it has been composed in Mohanam scale.

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 08:15 PM
suresh,
thank you.

kaviriyae - starting Mohanam nu kandu pidicheengalae.. great.....

kaapi portion - thanks for the confirmation.

Mallepoovu - Chirugaali kaekaren.

idhu enna ragam? romba nalla irukae...
old tamil song madhiri thonaradhae...

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 08:18 PM
enaku pidicha Madhyamavathi?

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 08:32 PM
Usha,

I am not sure what raga 'Chirugali' is in and I am not sure experts have agreed on what raga it is based on :) I remember a thread running in the Ilaiyaraja Yahoo Groups when this album was released. This song was discussed by a few knowledgeable there and I think the conclusion was that Raja was shifting the scale of some pentatonic raga to come up with this. (Atleast I _think_ that was the conclusion :) )

app_engine
15th January 2010, 08:33 PM
Sureshji, you surprised me again (rather shocked me) that you're listening to a song from aduththa vArisu for the first time :-)

All were path-breaking gems when released and are still very fresh!

- kAviriyE, kavikkuyilE (SPB / SJ, portions of this song - specifically the oh-my-love part is repeated in the kaise kahEn song of Shiva2006)

-vAzhga rANi vAzhga rAjAngam (SJ / SPS) sweet number, like the 'poomAlai' of thangamahan.

-pEsakkoodAdhu (SPB / PS) with a reggae like sound but trademark IR, sweet string interludes etc. I was totally irritated to see this sweet song getting picturized on silukku instead of the heroine (absolutely no silukku sounds in it)

-Asai nooRu vagai (MV) very interesting peppy song, recently remixed by a current MD

-vA rAjA vandhu pAru (SJ) apt song for a street kazhaikkooththAdi and Janaki excels in this

-ennaiyA ABC, ellAmE nee vAsi (SJ) another trendy number for the time period with some neat orchestration

The whole album was a rage among college students those days (Rajini - Sridevi additional factor).

And for me, it was "path-breaking" orchestration those days.

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 08:37 PM
suresh,
idhu dhan conclusion a......

vel kite raagam kaeka vendiyadhu dhan....

per solla mudiyadha raagamo......

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 08:39 PM
app,
NIce Description about the song...

about siluku - apo pidikalai. after her death,
ava nyabagama pakkaren app.

so - pesa kudadhu - siluk ai parkalam. not bad at all.........

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 08:43 PM
now am hearing

chandamama - mallipoove kaekaren.

IR's rendition in Telugu songs - really
nice. i like it...

app_engine
15th January 2010, 08:45 PM
chandamAmA and chirugAli are both sweet songs by IR.

malleppoovu was a nice album overall :-)

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 08:47 PM
Mallipoove

apo vandha race la - 2 time dhan kaeten,
marandhu pochu...

adhan ipo home work. hahahhaha..

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 09:02 PM
Chandamama

starting portion il,

IR and lady signer in humming udan,

Guitar and Beat - Sweet a synthesize aradhae. nice to hear........

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 09:10 PM
app_eng,

As we discuss more songs of the 80s, there will be more shocks in store !! :) Lot of catching up for me to do as far as Tamil music of 80s is concerned.

I have ofcourse heard 'Paesakudadu' and 'Aasai nooru vagai' songs. I had sometime back posted about 'paesakudathu' song. Especially the way the rhythm and structure of the song changes in the charanam. It becomes very free flowing in the charanam. The orchestration is top notch. Now I have got homework to do with the other songs :oops:

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 09:12 PM
Usha,

I think vel was also involved in that discussion at yahoo groups. Maybe even Violin Vicky was involved.

'chandamama raave' is a nice Suddha Dhanyasi. Shreya's singing is very sweet.

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 09:17 PM
Usha,

Here is what vel had posted in yahoo groups. Cutting and pasting it here since all people may not be members there. (Vel, I hope it is OK)

-------------------- Vel's discussion ------------------------------------------

Dear Vicky and CSR,

Great discussions - apologies for the very late reply, but i thought i should first understand what you two have outlined - madhyamavathi, sudhadhanyasi, brindhavanasaranga, jog - these 4 scales seem to form the basis of our discussions for chirugali...(time being, we can forget nirmalangi)

Now just watch this - though we have 4 in number, we only have 2 main ragas in discussion (one is madhyamavathi and its Ni3/Ga2 counterpart which is brindhavanasaranga) and another is sudhadhanyasi and its Ni3/Ga3 counterpart, Jog)

1 a) madyamavathi - N2
Madhyamavathi | S R2 M1 P N2 S | S N2 P M1 R2 S

1 b) Ni3 changes, in arohanam alone + additional g2 is brindhavana saranga
Brindhavana Saranga | S R2 M1 P N3 S | S N2 P M1 G2 R2 S

2 a) sudhadhanyasi which can be derived by a scale shift of madhyamavathi
Sudhadhanyasi | S G2 M1 P N2 S | S N2 P M1 G2 S (Suits both Carnatic and Western styled Songs)

2 b) G3 / Ni3 changes, in arohanam as well as avarohanam + additional R3
Jog S G3 M1 P N3 S I S N2 P M1 G3 M1 G3 S R3 S

Now try this on a keyboard...shift the shadjam and play chirugali as a sudhadhanyasi song (which it is not), and you may witness deviations to jog !! Play it only as madhyamavathi and it just deviates to shades of brindhavana saranga..for examples, start the song chirugali with Ga2 of sudhadhanyasi...Ga2 Ga2 Ma1 Pa, Ga2 Ga2 Ma1 Pa for chirugali chirugali... then the shift in the first line of charanams become Jog'ish (Sa ga3 M1 Ri3)...if we play it only in its natural madyamavthi scale, it becomes, Ni3 Sa Ni2 Pa...a typical brindhavana saranga phrase..

If we want to see jog flavours in a madyamavathi song (as outlined by Vicky), that is very unlikely or not possible unless we have shifted madyamavathi's scales to sudhadhanyasi which makes it convenient for Jog'ish transitions (sudhadhanyasi to jog is very easy. Madhyamavathi to jog is highly unlikely). In chirugali, if we conclude that there is no grahabedham or tonic shift of scale, we can then only just say that the madhyamavathi song has some brindhavana saranga touches...

Going by this logic, i am wondering if chirugali should be complicated enough to be named as nirmalangi, just because it starts with n2 and also goes to use ni3. i only think that chirugali chirugali could still be a simple madyamavathi with some foreign ni3 instead of madyamavathi's ni2 ....Many of rajas madyamavathis have Ni3...Aagaaya gangai, in charanams, deviates to ni3 - tharuven pala nooru, paruga kani chaaru...there, he uses ni3 touch, which gives a nice lift to the otherwise madyamavathi tune......

Now, having created the bed for these 4 intricate scales, I would like to introduce another song, 'aathadi paavada kaathada' from poo vilangu - this song uses Ni3 along and no Ni2 - its called lavathika - for the real possibility of scaring away purists in this forum, we can just call this brindhavanasaranga... Lavanthika | S R2 M1 P N3 S | S N3 P M1 R2 S

Unless raja confirms what scale he has used, we are never going to sure what the intended raga is.

regards,
Vel
---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

Sureshs65
15th January 2010, 09:20 PM
Usha,

BTW, the discussion on 'chirugali' was started by one CSR, whom I believe you know :lol:

tvsankar
15th January 2010, 10:50 PM
suresh,
Chirugaali - ragam details padichen.

Thank you .

Beautiful raagam indeed.........

neraiya time kaetundae iruken.......

CSR - bayam kaatadheengo suresh..

Strict Teacher madhiri oru bayam vandhudum enaku.....

ana enna..

am a last bench student.... hehhehehehe.......

ramk1
16th January 2010, 08:43 AM
Why dont we discuss 'Ilam pani thuli vizhum neram ilaigalil magarandha kolam', which is a master piece and way ahead of its times. If only IR rehashes or does some makeup to it, the present day audience will surely lap it up.
What a song wow?

ramk1
16th January 2010, 08:44 AM
The way the tune sways is remarkable. I just wonder how playful and confident the MD should have been to conjure this tune and make the singer play her part according to the tune and its expectations.

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 11:36 AM
engae parthalum indha paatoda discussiona iruake....

IR's Guitar - neraiya variety iruku,.

Chinna thooral madhiri.....

mazhai madhiri

thdoar mazhai madhiri

idi minnal koodiya mazhai madhiri

ipadi variety aga irukum IR 's Guitar...

and

IR's Guitar expresses the mood, feelings etc...

sometime it speaks.........

indha paatil,

Guitar Mazhai dhan....

Wat a flow............

It speaks with the singer...... like a friend....
(it supports her feelings... and tells like tat - am with you.. dont worry ...)

Guitar comes with the singer like her Close Friend.......
IR's Guitar - Never Dominates...

Thalai Ganam illadha Guitar ..........

its always Friendly........

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 02:50 PM
Garjanai

Enna sugamana ulagam - Uma RAmanan and MVD

Beautiful composition.

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Raaja - Jalli kattu

Head phone il kaetkavum..........

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 03:01 PM
Karaiyellam shenbagapoo

Yeriyilae

kaadellam pichupoo

endha padathuku enna music........ idhu dhan IR..............

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 03:12 PM
am the Biggest FAn for - Kaadellam pichipoo......

Really He is MUsic God.......

Gramathukaranuku - Guitar ai - Avan vazhiyil,
avan RAsanaiyai Uyarthiya Music God He is............

Saagar
16th January 2010, 04:03 PM
To Share,

Yesterday in Idea Star Singer, a girl sang "Aasai Adhigam vechu". At the end of it, while the judges remarked about the amazing composition, MG Sreekumar, was particularly putting forth a feeling of pullarippu when he said- ...the best part I liked about this song is that after the first pallavi, (which he hummed the tune).... no one would ever imagine that this is how the anupallavi would start ... On high .... portion from "Chinna ponnu than..to oru pon theril..." its like the composer takes you on top of a mountain... keep you there for some time & at the end of it, like something flowing back....nana ..ponmaalai than en chellakutti & connects you back to aasai adhigam vechu!
Wow, What a composition... What a thala God has given this Raasa! " he exclaimed.

app_engine
16th January 2010, 05:59 PM
Interestingly, the song 'mAnam theLinjnE vannAl' of thEnmAvin kombaththu (copy of Asai adhigam vechchu by the MD Benny Ignatius who won a Kerala state award for the score) was sung by the same MGS with KSC :-)

Saagar
16th January 2010, 06:39 PM
Interestingly, the song 'mAnam theLinjnE vannAl' of thEnmAvin kombaththu (copy of Asai adhigam vechchu by the MD Benny Ignatius who won a Kerala state award for the score) was sung by the same MGS with KSC :-)

Right! This selection for the best Music award created & prompted veteran composer G Devarajan, who to return all the State awards given to him, saying the awards lost significance with such a choice, creating a major controversy that year.

Saagar
16th January 2010, 06:55 PM
Another interesting related aspect is that the same year (1994) IR was given the Kerala State Best Music Director (Background Score) award for the film "Sammohanam" !

Sureshs65
16th January 2010, 07:50 PM
Saagar, app_eng,

Nice trivia. Such things do happen!!

M G Sreekumar seems to be a fan of Raja's descent, I mean in the musical sense :) In another video where he talks about Raja, he speaks about 'atirambile' song from Kalapani (which he had sung.) In that he says that when the tune goes way up in the charanam, he was wondering how the tune would come back to ground level. He was astonished by what he heard. He further added that he too had composed music for some devotional songs and he can assure the viewers that ideas like that would not have stuck him.

Marupadiyum had superb songs though initially I was not too enthusiastic about them. I used to like the song 'tum itna kyun muskurarahi ho' from Arth and did not find the ghazal touch in the Tamil. (We have strange expectations sometimes, don't we?) After a few listens, I concluded that music was one aspect that 'Maripadium' scored over 'Arth'. In most other aspects the Hindi film was probably better.

Listening to 'poova eduthu' as of now.

Saagar
16th January 2010, 08:39 PM
Agree Suresh,

And Kaalapaani was another Mal film that fetched IR the Kerala State Award.

Saagar
16th January 2010, 08:43 PM
Digression-For all of Balu Mahendra's creativity ( as we read from his Asst's tales abt his literary sense , avid reading & following of world cinema), wonder what prompted him to do remakes - at least two of his films are straight remakes from other languages - Marupadiyum and Raman Abdullah. (Marupadiyum is still understandable, but Raman Abdullah? !)

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 09:33 PM
Devan Thiruchabai malargalae.....

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 09:47 PM
Naanae Naana - Azhagae Unnai aaradhikiren.

Poondhendralae - Bhuvana oru Kelvikuri

2nd interlude is awesome.

Thenna marathula - Lakshmi

indha paatin Guitar sound ai - RAdio vil - kashta pattu
kaeta naatkal manadhil varugiradhu...........

Radio vin antena wire ai oru angle la pidichukanam.
apo dhan guitar sound ai kaeka mudiyum...
mazhai penja - No chance...... sogama poidum.... kaeka mudiyadhae nu...... :lol:

Plum
16th January 2010, 09:58 PM
Watched udhiri pookkal in uteeb. Azgauye kanne aaamikkarachE...tears in eyes. I am used to writing that a movie welled me up but this wasn't that. I was like thembi thembi, shedding buckets. Family got alarmed and came running into the room :lol:

Raja-mahendran - kalai-na idhu dhaanya ;notworthy:

Plum
16th January 2010, 09:59 PM
Watched udhiri pookkal in uteeb. Azgauye kanne aaamikkarachE...tears in eyes. I am used to writing that a movie welled me up but this wasn't that. I was like thembi thembi, shedding buckets. Family got alarmed and came running into the room :lol:

Raja-mahendran - kalai-na idhu dhaanya :notworthy:

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 10:02 PM
Mahendran - Manidha manadhai - cinema thanam illamal - unmaiyana side ai
kaatiya oru GEM...

tvsankar
16th January 2010, 10:04 PM
Now am hearing

Thaena oodum oda karaiyae - Bharani

jaiganes
17th January 2010, 04:07 AM

andha DVDyai adhukku bayandhe yaarum illaadha raathirila paakura vazhakkam. sila scenes irukku - nenachaale azhugai varum.
Mahanadhi padamlaam paarthaa dhaan azugai varum, but indha padathil varum sila scenesai nenachaale manasu valikkudhu.

kurippaa rendu scenes...
1. saaga pora thaaikku pasanga nadu raathirila paal oothara scene is absolutely heart breaking.
2. Adhukkaparam, Vijayan marries again and he is blasted by his erstwhile sis in law for neglecting children - he walks towards his house and sees his children on the street and haja sheriff does a 'Good morning salute' along with Baby Anju - andha edathula Raaja voda BGM and Vijayan's expressions - for a brief while he becomes human and his hard heart melts for a small while - andha idam ennai romba azha vechadhu - subsequent scene where the new wife of Vijayan watches baby anju giving his elder brother a bath - I could not take it any more. After full thaembal, resumed watching the movie - indha padathai pause, play button illaamal paarthavargalai nenachu viyakkiren.

Sureshs65
17th January 2010, 12:14 PM
Jai,

Very nice description. Since I don't want people to be commenting as to what sort of 'jenmam' is mine, I will refrain from stating that I haven't see this movie!!!

Plum
17th January 2010, 01:04 PM

andha DVDyai adhukku bayandhe yaarum illaadha raathirila paakura vazhakkam. sila scenes irukku - nenachaale azhugai varum.
Mahanadhi padamlaam paarthaa dhaan azugai varum, but indha padathil varum sila scenesai nenachaale manasu valikkudhu.

kurippaa rendu scenes...
1. saaga pora thaaikku pasanga nadu raathirila paal oothara scene is absolutely heart breaking.
2. Adhukkaparam, Vijayan marries again and he is blasted by his erstwhile sis in law for neglecting children - he walks towards his house and sees his children on the street and haja sheriff does a 'Good morning salute' along with Baby Anju - andha edathula Raaja voda BGM and Vijayan's expressions - for a brief while he becomes human and his hard heart melts for a small while - andha idam ennai romba azha vechadhu - subsequent scene where the new wife of Vijayan watches baby anju giving his elder brother a bath - I could not take it any more. After full thaembal, resumed watching the movie - indha padathai pause, play button illaamal paarthavargalai nenachu viyakkiren.
Jai, yes, those are the apt examples. Ofcourse, shank linked the final denouement, and Raja's part in it.

Punnaimaran
17th January 2010, 04:55 PM
I've been hearing the song MahArANi unai thEdi from Ayiram vAsal idhayam since morning and haven't been able to skip to any other song. Beautiful interludes and tune.

Sureshs65
17th January 2010, 05:04 PM
Had bought a DVD which has songs from a few Kamal films tuned by Raja. Was listening to the 'Ullasa Paravaigal' songs. The famous songs everyone knows. I was stuck by the song 'naan undan thai aaga vendum' by Janaki. A very melodious tune. Based on Mohanakalyani. Wonderful interludes. Janaki, as usual, does a fantastic job. Superb drumming throughout. I do miss this drumming in the modern era of synth pads. Superb interplay of violins and flute in the interludes. (So what is new? :) ) This deserves to be equally famous as the other siblings from this movie.

Sureshs65
17th January 2010, 05:09 PM
From the same DVD listening to 'Appappa Thithikum' from 'Japanil Kalyanaraman'. Fantastic drumming again and the whole song is dominated by the brass section. Looks like Raja decided that the brass section must have its day in the sun and the first interlude is fully brass with some superb bass accompanying them. The way the sax comes in the pallavi adds to the energy of the song. A very jazzy song which SPB sings with his usual enthusiasm. The second interlude with the voices providing the first part of the interlude is an outstanding piece of work. A great energy pill this song.

app_engine
17th January 2010, 07:25 PM
Superb drumming throughout. I do miss this drumming in the modern era of synth pads.

Exactly! I've been whining on this in the forum for quite sometime :-)

This deserves to be equally famous as the other siblings from this movie.

Though not as popular as the 'germaniyin' or 'deiveega rAgam', this had decent airtime on radio during those days (especially IOKS).

I love every song from UP (even the relatively-unknown song for a procession...'azhagiya malargaLin pudhu vidha oorvalamE'. Almost all the innovations that people claim to have come into TFM recently (i.e. post-1992) have already been done in just this one album :-) The title music was brilliant as well and IR featured it in the ninaivellAm nithya LP record. I'm sure he worked hard (though for a dumb movie).

app_engine
17th January 2010, 07:41 PM
Digression (for drums' sake)

I have a friend here (African American) who plays all kinds of drums. On Friday visited his home as his wife was back from hospital after treatment and we spent an hour in their home. They showed us some interesting rhythm instruments from Africa / of African origin. One was a purely wooden drum that looks just like a rectangular box and there are cuts (may be joins) on the top surface separating "notes". You use hands or the stick that has a leather ball on top to hit the wooden drum and the sound produced is unimaginably catchy. Tap on different sections and you get different notes - sounding much like the prelude of the disney song "under the sea".

While we were fascinated with the way he could use the drum to produce marvellous patterns, his wife brought in some more interesting instruments. One looked exactly like our 'udukkai' but bigger than that but smaller than 'urumi', with the curved stick that is similar to the one used with urumi. It has strings tied between the sides that can be squeezed (he held it like a shoulder bag and squeezed with shoulder / upper arm) while tapping the drum to produce "stretched sounds" with telling effects. They said it's brought by a friend from Nigeria. Once it was used there for "communication" in the jungles.
End-digression

I'm sure Raja got exposed to a number of country drums during his early days of travel, musical learning that helped him provide a variety of percussion sounds. I want him to use such old treasures and have the synthetic sounds only for those who demand (like pA).

Sureshs65
17th January 2010, 07:59 PM
app_eng,

There was a serial made on Raja (on Amritha TV I think ) which for some unknown reason did not complete its run. In one of those episodes you have someone from Raja's team using different rhythmic instruments and showing how they work to M G Sreekumar. I don't have the link with me at hand but you can check out CRV's blog. I remember him loading these episodes. It was a nice demonstration.

(Spreaking about drumming reminds me of kiru. He has been incognito along with Hulk for quite some time now. )

I agree that 'Ullasa Paravaigal' is an outstanding album. Innovation with originality has always been Raja's hallmark and it shows itself up in full glory in this album. I heard the bit song you mentioned only recently. And yes it is a nice piece indeed.

Sureshs65
17th January 2010, 08:09 PM
app_eng,

Here is the link to CRV website which has the episodes on Raja. Not sure which episode has the drums. I am sure you wouldn't mind going through all of them :)

http://maestromagic.blogspot.com/2008/11/62-hrudaya-ragangalude-raja-6.html

Sureshs65
17th January 2010, 08:15 PM
Listening to 'vaaya vaaya' from 'Japanil Kalyanaraman'. What fascinated me about the song is the Mohanam ragam that Raja uses. Looks like Raja favors Mohanam for funny songs. Recently I have heard two Mohanam's wherein the song seems to be made for a funny situation (the lyrics are funny.) One is the 'Hero Nenochane' song from 'Mallepoovu' and another one is 'Paatellam' from the Malayalam film 'Sooriyan'. Both use Mohanam is a very different way. Generally you tend to associate Mohanam with melody. Raja goes against the trend and uses Mohanam in comic songs. The effect is quite nice.

Plum
17th January 2010, 08:27 PM
app_eng,

Here is the link to CRV website which has the episodes on Raja. Not sure which episode has the drums. I am sure you wouldn't mind going through all of them :)

http://maestromagic.blogspot.com/2008/11/62-hrudaya-ragangalude-raja-6.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ2Jnw_hZy4&feature=related
Here's it.

Plum
17th January 2010, 08:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hGWbUWDoxk&feature=related

Bonus

kiru
18th January 2010, 01:47 PM
Suresh..I am here in a read-only mode, devouring all your and our esteemed fellow forum members' posts.
I wanted to post in quite a few instances but never got around to doing it..
Re: drums - I have mentioned this before - apparently the hill tribals are into rhythms and maybe they came from Africa or not there is a resemblance to african rhythms and probably drums too..May commentators mention "folk melodies and tribal rhythms" in one breath..
RE: rprasad's post on indianness in IR's music - I listened to solla marandha kathai songs this weekend and I noticed how drums are used in "native/local flavor" songs. I did mention earlier just like violin/strings..IR is turning drumkit into an indian instrument..
Re: kids and IR songs - my 4 yr old and 9 month old too like 'kaattu vazhi'..
(man ..you made me post something..you could or are a good manager :-) )

rajkumarc
18th January 2010, 02:27 PM

kurippaa rendu scenes...

Just reading these posts brings those scenes to the forefront and along with it tears too. Man, that movie had and still has such an impact. I watched it when no one was at home and I enjoyed it to my hearts content (tears filled up to my hearts content too :) )

I had been moved to tears when watching some Sivaji's or Kamal's movies but that was mainly due to their acting. In the case of UP, it was much more deeper than that and the tears that came were usually uncontrollable (as Jai said thembi thembi).

Uthiri Pookal is definitely something to be watched alone and without any sort of interruption.

Sureshs65
18th January 2010, 04:11 PM
kiru,

I am happy to see you back since the drum subject automatically reminded me of you and also your take on how Raja is using synth (as equivalent to real instruments) is slowly being accepted and appreciated by everyone. So, good to see your post.

I am happy that I am no longer a manager :)

app_engine
18th January 2010, 09:04 PM
Suresh, Plum,

Thanks for the links. I remember seeing these youtubes sometime back.

A variety of folk drums got their chance to show off in film music during the early days of IR, something I'm very happy about though don't know how some of these even look like :-) but the sound has the magic!

The pallavi of his first song -annakkiLi onnaththEduthE - itself has one of these (boom-boom mELam? whatever it is, sweet, heard this song on repeat recently).

Having exposed to tons of such sounds in his songs, it's an extremely frustrating thing to read some people calling him 'tablA guy'. விவரக்கேட்டுக்கும் ஒரு லிமிட் இருக்கு!

Sureshs65
18th January 2010, 09:48 PM
Having exposed to tons of such sounds in his songs, it's an extremely frustrating thing to read some people calling him 'tablA guy'. விவரக்கேட்டுக்கும் ஒரு லிமிட் இருக்கு!

app,

:D Well, you can conclude two things when someone says things like that. One, he/she is a novice in music and has no clue other than what he/she currently hears. The other conclusion would be to deliberately underplay Raja's contribution so that it can show others in better light. It is in comments like these that people tell us more about themselves that they tell about Raja. So, as Vivek said in a recent movie, "Don't worry, be happy." Which ofcourse, keeping with the current trend, is an 'inspired' phrase :D

app_engine
18th January 2010, 10:23 PM
Yes, ofcourse, Sureshji!

All these frustrations are only for a very short moment, when posted in the hub or by bloggers :-) It lasts a little longer when "reputed" magazines write articles in that tone (like you said, often to glorify talents of later years - as if some of these new sounds in percussion were newly invented).

Well, the feelings would have been similar to those who appreciated pre-IR talents, when IR too was credited with a lot of "firsts". I think these are part of the unjust side of the
"பழையன கழிதலும், புதியன புகுதலும்" :-)

ajithfederer
18th January 2010, 10:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC_dBvKh-4Y&feature=related

En Vaanile - Johnny !!

baroque
19th January 2010, 12:34 AM
இளவேனில் இது வைகாசி .....பாலா & சித்ரா :musicsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6A3prhXfNw

VINATHA

app_engine
19th January 2010, 09:01 PM
MMKR songs on repeat mode :-)

sivarAththiri wasn't noticed much (i.e. by me) when it got released. I don't remember seeing the movie in theater also.

After I got the VHS, the movie had been repeated so many times at home but each time this song gets prompty FF'ed ('ஏன் அப்பாவும் அம்மாவும் ரிமோட்டுக்காக இப்படிப்பரபரக்குறாங்க'ன்னு பொண்ணு ஆச்சரியப்படுமளவுக்கு இருக்கும்).

Only on this CD (MDM + MMKR + mounam sammadham), I've really paid attention to this song. Quite an interesting number, funny as well. Funny to see Mano struggling with mukkal-munagal in the first stanza (IR saves this trouble from singers in the second one with instrumental sounds). KSC just makes it, though the song is made for SJ + SPB or MV.

I don't know whose idea it was to use this combo for this song (IR or Kamal or Singeetham). It was not like MV / SPB / SJ were not around - why each have song a song or two for the same film. Possibly one of those kuRumbu thoughts of the team.

pAvam Chitra - possibly the only number where she had to make such sounds. By and large, both singers sing "serious"ly, however :-)

The instrumentals (especially the solo violin pieces, the guitar that loudly plays along with the 'vidiya - vidiya') are top class! So is the rhythm arrangement!

p.s. the song has somewhere the name of the actress mentioned - Roopini - along with calling the boy 'appu' - another kuRumbu, reminding people of apoorva sahOdhararkaL :-)

Plum
20th January 2010, 12:15 AM
Mentioning actress/actor's names is a vaali trick. Even kannadasan's "thevarin kulam kaakkum vElaiyyA" has a back story. Vaali made it a regular habit - ippo examples gnabagam varala but neaiya irukku(I mean apart from the thousand "raja" references)

ajithfederer
20th January 2010, 01:19 AM
100 pages :clap:

app_engine
20th January 2010, 01:26 AM
AF,
புது இழை தொடங்குங்க :-)

ajithfederer
20th January 2010, 01:34 AM
Done with Zeal. :D.

Let's continue here (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13872).