PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Plum
18th October 2009, 08:10 PM
Suresh, as it happens, you had mentioned vinodayathra last week when I had mentiond Rasathanthram, and Asianet obliged today. Agree with you that the BGM was less cluttered, and more effective here.

adutha vaaram innathe chintha vishayam podarangaLA paarkalAm!

Sureshs65
18th October 2009, 09:47 PM
Plum,

I did get the 'agaya gangai' flavor more because I saw that this song was also based on the raga Madhyamavathi, one of Raja's favorites.

I am not sure if they will put up 'Innathe' next week. I think they put it up sometime during Onam or Dasara. (I think Onam.) Was unable to watch it for more than 10 mins since I had to go out somewhere. But during those 10 mins there was a small BGM with the percussions driving it. Till then I wasn't sure about the movie. The moment I heard the BGM I was sure it was Raja and hence 'Innathe' the movie :) It is not available on DVD. Maybe will watch it someday soon.

Sureshs65
18th October 2009, 09:49 PM
Oops. I meant it is 'now available on DVD' :)

And Plum, Vinodayatra was a decent movie. Nothing great happens but you don't get too bored either. A typical Sathyan movie I would say.

Plum
18th October 2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah, typical anthikkad. No great shakes but you get a slice of small town kerala middle class life. And meera again! There's a 2-second shot when murali, her screen father, says casually who knows if he'll see another rainy season - there's not a young actress in the country who can do that. Swelled me up even before raja reacted in the background - and that happens very rarely for me.
(That shot is the cue to kaietha kombathor - and raja starts just as she has finished swelling you up)

Kaietha is even more beautiful after seeing the situation and the movie.

Sureshs65
19th October 2009, 01:05 AM
Plum,

I though Meera was quite good throughout. I do remember the scene you are talking about. Both the songs, 'kaiyeta' and 'mandara poo' have been picturized quite well.

Sureshs65
19th October 2009, 01:34 AM
Listening to 'Poove Poo Choodava' by Chitra. What a rendition. I am sure she must have been quite young at that time. To understand the whole song and give it the required impact is something which requires a veteran but Chitra does it very well. Raja tunes brilliantly. A very moving song without becoming overtly sentimental.

Sureshs65
19th October 2009, 01:56 AM
BTW, who is the lyricist for 'Poove Poo Chooda Va' song? Surprising I am not getting it on the web!! Can someone enlighten me?

Plum
19th October 2009, 06:53 AM
It is diamond pearl only, suresh

AravindMano
19th October 2009, 09:28 AM
adutha vaaram innathe chintha vishayam podarangaLA paarkalAm!

Pona vaarame pottutaainga! :)

There's a 2-second shot when murali, her screen father, says casually who knows if he'll see another rainy season - there's not a young actress in the country who can do that. Swelled me up even before raja reacted in the background - and that happens very rarely for me.
(That shot is the cue to kaietha kombathor - and raja starts just as she has finished swelling you up)

Kaietha is even more beautiful after seeing the situation and the movie.

Agree on both Meera and Raja. Whatta song!

Sureshs65
19th October 2009, 10:23 AM
Plum,

Thanks for the info. I suspected diamond when I heard the song. Those were the times he was at his peak and it shows. Especially the very first couple of lines of the first charanam brings out the emotion of the character so well.

LordLabakuDas
20th October 2009, 01:03 AM
Suresh,

I assume u r the 'Suresh' who wrote an extremely touching post about "poove pochudava" KJY version few years back. R u a diff Suresh? :-)

LordLabakuDas
20th October 2009, 01:10 AM
Was listening to 'Raasathi raasathi' from poovarasan recently. Arumayana string section.

Sanjeevi
20th October 2009, 08:48 AM
Was listening to 'Raasathi raasathi' from poovarasan recently. Arumayana string section.

Yes sema song. Thanks for reminding this song :D

AravindMano
20th October 2009, 11:36 AM
kuLiraadunna maanaththu from Olangal.

I think equanimus was talking about that song. Intoxicating. Listened only few times last night, but i have been humming 'thaLir nuLLi, thaLir nuLLi' from the morning. Playing it in the mind.

K
20th October 2009, 12:22 PM
Aadum Neram Ithu Than Ithu Than - SooraSamharam

Sureshs65
20th October 2009, 07:30 PM
Lord,

Though I am very touched by the song, I have never posted about it earlier. Guess it must have been a different poster. Must have been a great post since you still remember it.

LordLabakuDas
20th October 2009, 09:07 PM
Suresh..for you..

From: suresh (@ 202.88.155.34) on: Fri Sep 5 15:24:03 EDT 2003

Hmm, a song, a shrapnel..

When Fazil was making the original Malayalam version of this movie in his favourite locations around Alappuzha, we would bike around often to watch Mohanlal (yet to become the superstar) and Nadhia, the new heroine. It was one such day that I met J, whose sister was my cousin's college mate. I began to drift towards their house for more reasons than the film, paddling towards the small islands formed by single coconut trees with a novel in hand. Time was a blur, and college and coimbatore seemed to belong to a distant past.

Several months later, I was back for another holiday and this time the Tamil version was being shot. My friend used to work in Udhaya studios, and ferreted the tape for us to hear. This song was our anthem for many weeks, played out at home, the car, the drunken soirees on the backwater floats. J was totally taken up with this song, as I was with her. All the events that came with our teen romance seemed to be defined around this one film, and Fazil seemed to preside over our lifes' errant schedules.

When PPV was released at Coimbatore's Pallavi, I went with friends and somehow couldn't endure the movie for the sheer weight of the associated memories and its depressing end even though I had known most frames. The pressures of sustaining the secrecy of a long distance relationship at that age were beginning to tell, though not for too long.

J was hit by a car in front of her college, and didn't live to feel the pain. The lines 'azhaippu mani entha veetil kettalum' took a whole new meaning, that years have done nothing to change. Barring a few, this was a part of my life that no one knew of; my parents would have passed that off as one of adoloscence's many moods.

Life has moved on since, this has remained one song (and film) that I have resolutely shut myself out of even as I was digging out long-lost IR songs from obscure corner shops. Gathered my wits to hear it in full today after 18 years.

I look out of the hotel window in Vizag to see the women ducking under the waters to scoop out oysters, the petulant child refusing to step down from his cycle, and a bemused S V Shekar trying to speak Malayalam with the unit men. And as the strains of KJY waft from the notebook and I type this account, this one song is a bittersweet slice of life that even my frequent travels to that part of the world have not been able to recreate.

Plum
20th October 2009, 09:38 PM
Lld, thanks for ferreting out that one. That was one gut-wrenching emotional roller of a post. Very beautifully written, too. Ivarukku oru summon pottu inge varavazhaikkaNum.

Sureshs65
20th October 2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks Lord. Excellent post. Very touching one. The song itself is such an amazing combination of lyrics and music. The words, 'azhaippu mani entha veetil kettalum' and the subsequent 'tendral en vaasal theendave illai' are by themselves touching and the tune for those lines just lifts the song into the stratosphere.

As Plum has repeatedly said in many posts, Raja is somehow able to get at your emotions. You can easily empathize with the poster immediately. I agree with Plum. We need to get this person to post here often.

A lovely song which comes from the combination of three great artists. Raja, Vairamuthu and Chitra. This one song for me is enough to rank Chitra along with other all time greats.

AravindMano
21st October 2009, 09:45 AM
Lord, loved the way you have put it. I am not sure what i have to say. Reminded me of the quote in the film Jhony - Music, the soul giver. May be music be your companion. Thanks for sharing :)

thumburu
21st October 2009, 12:43 PM
As usual, listened to "Prem Kahani" after the over hyped movie bombed and got lost among slew of diwali releases.
koogile koogu baa - Is my pick . Iam not tired of his mesmerising suddhadhanyasis with newer twists and turns our IR manages to come up with, after hundreds of them already .
Shringaara sindhura - My next pick by Shreya-G's cho..chweet voice, nice interludes[esp the second one ] . I would have loved it more if only the pallavi had a similar rythm of "naan undhan thaayaga vendum" from "ullasa paravaigaL" . The "synth only" is a tad disappointing
Rangu Rangu - The most raved about song in the hub. Peppy double sundae delight with charming choral parts, Shreya G . With the celtic violins and all, it does give a modern feel to the 80's "mella mella ennai thottu"
YarivaLo - female version lacks energy and gets boring after a while , where as, I liked the male version due to the energetic orchestration in the beats and good usage of trumpets after a long time, despite pathetic singing by Sriram Parthasarathy
Badavara - Sadhana's soulful singing in a soothing "laali" melody. Would place it just a step below "varam thandha saamikku" of "sippikkuL muthu" fame
Hodavne- Kannadic version of "josh mein" with pounding beats , vigorous singing . No complaints but not a "any time" listen
The rest of the 2 "azhu moonji" songs, IR's "giriya mariyodu" in shivaranjini scale and the slow "nannaavaLe" in shubapanthuvaraaLi scale are not my cup of tea :). I dunt have any major grouse regarding "Prem Kahani" except for not using live orchestra

vel
21st October 2009, 03:01 PM
suresh, have you listened to 'mala karukalil solai karunguyil yen padudho" in KJY's voice? it has the same soul rendering 'make you cry' feel..surprisingly, it evokes deep sympathy ...a stunner by thalaivar. Since you are quite new (surprisignly) to lot of mega hits, i am not sure if you have come across this one so far...

rajasaranam
21st October 2009, 05:29 PM
Lld, thanks for ferreting out that one. That was one gut-wrenching emotional roller of a post. Very beautifully written, too. Ivarukku oru summon pottu inge varavazhaikkaNum.
அழைப்பு மனி அடித்து விட்டேன் வருகிறாரா பார்போம் :)

Sureshs65
21st October 2009, 08:07 PM
vel,

Thanks for the reco. Which movie is this from?

Yup. There are lot of hits which I am still unaware of. I am not complaining though, since these discoveries make my day :)

Sureshs65
21st October 2009, 08:13 PM
thumburu,

You are spot on as far as Prem Kahani is concerned. The only difference would be that I would swap Sringara and Kogile but that is a minor thing. I do like the way Raja has tuned 'Nannavale', especially the way the scale has been used.

Yes, overall quite a nice album.

Plum
21st October 2009, 08:22 PM
அழைப்பு மனி அடித்து விட்டேன் வருகிறாரா பார்போம் :)
Oh! Thanks Rajasaranam. Suresh-nu-pEru-vechAlE amarkaLa padutharanga. inge namms sikkan 65 suresh, aprama ursmusically suresh and now this suresh :-)

Sureshs65
21st October 2009, 08:29 PM
Plum,

:lol:

jaiganes
21st October 2009, 09:11 PM
I am in listening to only Raaja songs mode for the past 4 weeks - I dont seem to miss a thing in life.
right now 'thendral vandhu theendum bodhu' followed by 'Oli tharum sooriyan' from Valmiki. Aathmavukku aathmaaval isai pinni irukkaar. Kaadhu varaikkum vara vechu seruppu maadhiri isayai nikka vaikkira kaalaththil ivar isai oru iniya varam.

Sureshs65
22nd October 2009, 11:04 PM
Listening to 'oru NAL oru kanavu'. Been a long time since I heard this. Also 'nilavu pATTu'. Like both these songs.

Sanjeevi
22nd October 2009, 11:08 PM
Nilavu pattu is tremendous one especially in the interludes. What a mysterious feel it gives. And Oru naal oru kanavu is an usual good song from IR+KJJ combo.

Sanjeevi
22nd October 2009, 11:31 PM
Pudhu Pournami Nilavugal - from Mannukulle

Intha mannla poranthu valarnthathu nala thano ennavo intha mannukkule songs ellam superma

baroque
23rd October 2009, 09:38 AM
State-of-the-art rhythmic சுத்த தனயாசி - நான் வணங்குகிறேன் சபையிலே தமிழிலே இசையிலே...ஜானகி...குரு
alluring orchestration. :musicsmile:
wonderful early ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா :redjump: to kick start our இளையராஜா music time tonight!
love you ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா
வினதா :)

rajkumarc
23rd October 2009, 10:37 AM
Have been listening to Pazhassi Raja all week. What an album this is? All the songs are superb and if I could borrow Suresh's words sheer bliss. I love to drive now just because that I can listen to PR :D.
Morning drive to work - Aadhi Ushas & Aalamadankala (very inspirational & energetic)
Evening drive back - Kunnathe, Ambum Kombum and Odathandil
Every day is so perfect, atleast the drive :D

/dig
Took a break from PR and was listening to this song Vizhiyorathu Kanavum from Raaja Parvai. Couldn't recognize the female singer.. is that BSSasirekha? Thiraipaadal.com & rakkamma.com say it's SJ but I'm pretty sure it's not SJ.

Can someone let me know who is the female singer? Thanks.
/end-dig

baroque
23rd October 2009, 11:25 AM
விழியோரத்து கனவும்....ராஜ பார்வை I think சசி ரேகா & கமல் .
I think சுபபந்துவராளி ராகா (வைகறையில் ...பயணங்கள் முடிவதில்லை) .

ம்ம்ம் ம்ம்ம் ம்ம்
தென்றல் காற்றும் அன்பு பாட்டும் மங்கை வாழ்வில் ஏது
கண்கள் ஓரம் பொங்கும் ஈரம் நாளும் காணும் மாது
சுடு நெருப்பின் மீது .....
What a pathos with a touch of suddha dhanyasi!
Early Ilayaraja treasure!

vinatha.

rajkumarc
23rd October 2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info Vinatha.

Thendral Kaatrum is a wonderful song from Bagavathipuram Railway Gate which is a great album. BSS has sung some great numbers for IR.

baroque
23rd October 2009, 11:12 PM
தனன ந ந ந நா நா மனதினில் புதிய அருவி விழுந்த கோலம்
வேலனின் தோளில் வேடனின் செல்வி
தேனுடன் திணை மாவும் நான் இனி தருவேனோ....

Enchanting folkish ஸ்ரீ இளையராஜா orchestration adorns the speedy tune :musicsmile:
music gushing like Ganges
I woke up with the Enthusiasm the composition filled my manasu from yesterday evening's music session!:redjump:

ஊமை உள்ளங்கள் , கர்ஜனை, ஜானி in my USB stick for my listening pleasure today! :ty: ஸ்ரீ இளையராஜா

vinatha.

Raikkonen
24th October 2009, 07:14 PM
madhana moha roopa sundari
neengatha ennam ondru

:thumbsup: :musicsmile:

sivasub
25th October 2009, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7Hjb8NOmo

Sureshs65
26th October 2009, 12:37 AM
'nAn pADum mouna rAgam keTkavillayA'. A very atypcial beat for a sad song. Works wonderfully though. Lovely interludes, especially the first one.

Sureshs65
26th October 2009, 12:02 PM
'endu paranjalum' and 'swasathin thalam' from 'Achuvinte Amma'. Found some decent quality audio after a long search.

I can't for the life of me understand why these two tune touch me so much. In many cases the songs that touch you are associated with some memory of yours. In the case of these two songs I really have nothing associated with them but whenever I hear these songs, they do something to me. Don't know why.

BTW, where is Manjari nowadays. She doesn't feature much in Raja's albums (though she is there in 'ambum kombum'). She used to be a regular fixture during those days and got some lovely songs from Raja including 'kaiyetha', 'swasathin thalam', 'aatinkaraiyorathe' etc. I remember seeing a post of app_eng pointing to a news item saying that she has now got married. Has she cut down on singing assignments after her wedding?

Plum
26th October 2009, 04:08 PM
suresh, its the same with me. Achuvinte touches chords that despite lack of a personal connection. If you remember the Sathyan-IR conversation, Sathyan gives a long requirement for the situation, and there is NO GAP between him finishing and IR starting off with the tune! Recycled tune, maybe. Cliched situation maybe. But the arrangements, the orchestration, the singing(that woman Chitra again!) just go and stir a chord in your heart. It is inexplicable given the lack of personal connection as you say.

I liked Manjari, too, certainly prefer her to the Ritas and Dhaanyas. Looks like she is on an extended honeymoon :-)

Plum
26th October 2009, 04:10 PM
Poo Sirikkudhu - has historic significance (:-) ) to me as the first IR song that caught my daughter's attention. Notorious for her bollywood inclinations, and tunes that make her dance, the rhythm in this song somehow caught her fancy, and she keeps singing "poosilikkudhu poosilikkudhu, ala malakkidhu ala malaikkudhu"
Indoctrination attempts will continue...

Sureshs65
26th October 2009, 05:16 PM
Plum,

Yes, the 'endu paranjalum' situation is a trite one and the tune a recycled one but there is some shift done overall that the effect it leaves is lasting. Ofcourse Chitra. For the first time today I listened to a male version of this song. It is equally touching.

Sureshs65
26th October 2009, 05:20 PM
Plum,

I am happy your daughter caught the first two words the way she did. For as app_eng had posted earlier, the female in this song almost sings it as 'booze irukkudu' :lol: That is one twist of line I won't forget soon, app!!

All the best for the indoctrination :) One of my daughters likes 'ennulle ennulle' from Valli. No clue why :think:

app_engine
26th October 2009, 06:12 PM
Stumbled upon this link during the weekend :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BAJ4mAFiD4

The HQ icon brings up almost DVD quality video on youtube, even on full screen mode! Finally youtube with HQ is at par with veoh kind of websites ; but phenomenally lower download time (on an ordinary home dsl, it's only a couple of seconds to load and play without interruption) :-)

And this video -"iLangAththu veesudhE" of pithamagan - is a gem! Though I dislike the male voice while listening to the song on CD, it's not so bad on screen as the proceedings are absorbing! Surya does a neat job - his eye conversation with Sangeetha in the javuLikkadai is superb and this actress is superb through out the song!

tvsankar
26th October 2009, 07:08 PM
Dear app,
indha paatu vandha pudhusula

apo - good picturisation nu pesina time. youtube varadha time...
indha paatai naan apo sonnen. Surya and Sangeetha
nice to see nu..
apo neenga -

ungaluku apo pidikalai nu solliteenga...
anyway,
ipo pudichadha......
nice....

app_engine
26th October 2009, 07:32 PM
ungaluku apo pidikalai nu solliteenga...
anyway,
ipo pudichadha......
nice....

I don't remember talking about picturiztion of this song (for or against). For that matter, I saw the movie once long back on a VHS cassette of average quality - with my son & wife complaining as a boredom, even skipping the songs etc. Didn't even notice the song before (i.e. on screen) and possibly considered not worthy under those circumstances.

Later I got the audio and simply loved the song, despite my reservations against the male singer - innovative IR with his sweet chords :-)

Now that I can observe well, with youtube (and the excuse to watch songs while feeding the child :D ), I can appreciate better. The picturization is simply superb (and the child demands repeat replays as she is thrilled with the "Ala mara vizhudhu" scene, "palAppazham piykkiRa" scene etc)!

This is my most liked kind of seeing songs on a movie, there're sweet incidents, nice things are told without words and the story moves along as well without interruption :-)

So, if I mentioned anything like 'pidikkalai', I take it back with apologies :-)

tvsankar
26th October 2009, 07:42 PM
apo sari app. :D

kid ku pidiradhu ellam namakum pidikanam app.

adhu dhan namaku nalladhu... enjoy with your kid...

adjustment garadhu - inga dhan start aradhu ..
and ulgam enna garadhum apo dhan theiryum...

enakum - aala maram vizhudhu - oonjal madhiri adaradhu
parka romba pidikum...

chinna vayasil - aala mara nizhalil - adhoda
vizhudhil - oonjal adiya naatkal - andha friends
ninaivil vaurm enaku......
hehhehehe.... :D

apoligies ellam vendam...
surprise agiten.. epadi pidichadhu nu...
reason theirnjuduthu.....
sandhosham app....

app_engine
26th October 2009, 08:16 PM
Another sweet song that enjoyed repeat plays (on youtube) during the weekend - 'ennaiththAlAtta varuvALA' of KM.

IR always does special work for Fazil and since this song came out after a relatively lean period for him in TFM, got lapped up by his admirers like anything. I remember posting about the Pollachi bus stand tea stall fellow repeating it n number of times during my wait on one of those many night travels. That memory plus the Coimbatore bomb blasts come together whenever I hear this song ( I got the cassette from a shop in RS Puram which was close to one of the sites only a couple of days later :-( )

Plum
26th October 2009, 08:44 PM
"booze irukkudhu" :lol:
now that you said it, it does sound like that.

app_engine
26th October 2009, 11:06 PM
Plum & Sureshs65,
Children are like sponge I think :-)

Just now got a phone call from home minister struggling with lunching efforts -

ஏங்க, நேத்து நீங்க என்ன பாட்டு போட்டீங்க, அது தான் வேணும்னு அடம் பிடிக்குது பாப்பா - அது என்ன புதுக்காத்தா, மழைக்காத்தா - என்னது அது?

:lol:

Sureshs65
26th October 2009, 11:28 PM
app_eng,

Very true. They absorb things so fast. Especially songs and cartoons. I remember thinking one Hindi song, from Dhoom 2, went 'sexy lady on the move', which actually turned out to be 'says the lady on the phone'. I came to know the actual words when my daughter sang it!! (Does it show that kids receive things better or the state of our mind :lol: )

Plum
27th October 2009, 12:17 AM
app, adhu ennamO sari dhaan but ungaLukku En kadhai theriyAdhu - kashtapattu IR songs oru 100-200 songs pOttu kAtti, rendu varushathulA final-A she chose to like this song :-)
idhukkAga nAn remba kashta pattirukkEn :-)
(romba kuzhandhaiyA irukkarachE laali laali pazhakki vittEn. So much so that she translates lullaby into tamil as "laali laali", not thaalattu but this was the first song she consciously liked)

rajasaranam
27th October 2009, 09:38 AM
app_eng,

Very true. They absorb things so fast. Especially songs and cartoons. I remember thinking one Hindi song, from Dhoom 2, went 'sexy lady on the move', which actually turned out to be 'says the lady on the phone'. I came to know the actual words when my daughter sang it!! (Does it show that kids receive things better or the state of our mind :lol: )

No that shows that they are kids and we are adults. :)
Watch this optical illusions below kids/adults will see exactly what was intended to unless the kids are mischievous or the adults are ill-informed :wink:
http://www.planetperplex.com/en/item147

Sureshs65
27th October 2009, 10:21 AM
RS,

:lol: Where did you dig it out from? It took me quite a while to figure out the dolphins!!

AravindMano
27th October 2009, 03:45 PM
Raasaave unna nambi from Mudhal Mariyadhai.

There used to be note in one of Jhumpha Lahiri's book which reads, 'this book is one of a kind, while reading it you would be tempted to pull the person next to you and tell him, 'Read this'!' I feel the same way when i listen to this song. Mensogam and how Janaki brings it effortlessly! The prelude humming is just perfect.

Vairamuththu's lyrics are just brilliant!

Indha aaLukku eththana thadava dhaan kai thatradhu. Raja :notworthy:

Sureshs65
27th October 2009, 04:31 PM
Yes Arvind. It is in songs like these you understand as to why Janaki was Raja's favorite. She could bring in the emotions so very effortlessly. Without any exaggeration. That was her specialty.

Bala (Karthik)
27th October 2009, 06:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuzKsLrWvk&feature=related

I have a suspicion that God is an impostor. This Ilaiyaraaja guy is just a front.

jaiganes
27th October 2009, 07:49 PM
on a simpler plane -

'Maathig modhalu ' from Ajeya (Kannada flick with murali launched as hero). Simply superb ludes and enthu singing by Malaysia.

who put kuthu with jazz and shades of rock together in an obscure kannada song - must be God's work as he is the one who delights putting the beautiful saamandhi plant in the parched crematorium or a beautiful yellow flower on a cactus while men create ornate gardens to line it up with slave rose plants smiling for throngs of imbecile mass.

Aalavanthan
27th October 2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuzKsLrWvk&feature=related

I have a suspicion that God is an impostor. This Ilaiyaraaja guy is just a front.

My first post in this thread and comes with the "I dont want to call it favourite but more than that maybe worshipped" song.

Swarnathala matum thaan ivvalavu koduthiruka mudiyum.. "edhu oor mogam" - andha oor-la pitch difference is out of the world singing.

Ippa kekkumbodhu kooda kai kaalellam udharudhunga. Violin, Piano, flute, aa-la, Swarnalatha voice :goosebumps:

Tabla, Drums illaa ulagam eppadi irukum nu yosicha, nalla thaan irundhirukum !

Sureshs65
28th October 2009, 02:52 PM
Karthik and Aalavandan,

'Ennulle' an incomparable song. No questions about that. It requires a genius to conjure up something like this.

Listening to Paxhassiraja and currently focusing on 'Ambum Kombum' and 'Odathandil'. Both excellent melodies. Will write about them soon.

thumburu
28th October 2009, 04:26 PM
on a simpler plane -

who put kuthu with jazz and shades of rock together in an obscure kannada song - must be God's work as he is the one who delights putting the beautiful saamandhi plant in the parched crematorium or a beautiful yellow flower on a cactus while men create ornate gardens to line it up with slave rose plants smiling for throngs of imbecile mass.

- jaiganes, enjoyed your poetic comparison.
About my last song :
For whom did Raja create this Khamas beauty from an unreleased movie "pachami" !!! "margazhi maadham mun pani veLaiyile" , a rare song where TVG sings duet with Janaki
I request music lovers to listen to all the buried gems from this ill-fated movie of the early 80's

Sureshs65
28th October 2009, 10:12 PM
thumburu,

Any links to this song? The thiraipaadal link is not working.

tvsankar
29th October 2009, 01:27 AM
suresh,
enakum thiraipadal work agalai.
work analum - maargazhi madham song
illai angae.

1. dhool.com la - saravanan solli irukar.
nalaiki link tharen.

2.cooltoad la indha song iruku.

app_engine
29th October 2009, 01:41 AM
panchami song :
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/984.html

rajkumarc
29th October 2009, 03:30 AM
Margazhi Poove song from Panjami -
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=445978

Sureshs65
29th October 2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks app and raj for the link. And thanks to thumburu for pointing out this song. (Going to dhool.com for the song has the additional benefit of reading Saravanan's article, which as usual, is of high quality.)

I am hearing this song for the first time. A lovely Khamas. The prelude, the interludes, the tune, everything is top notch. I was particularly amused by the contrast between the singing of Janaki, the master of singing a film song, and the very traditional rendering of TVG.

Another song which I heard for the first time today was from the film 'Vaazhkai'. The song being 'Kaalam Maaralam'. By SPB and Vani. A very nice Hamsadhwani based number.

I would recommend both these songs to someone like raagas, who is interested in, what else, raagas :D So raagas, check out the dhool/cooltoad link for the Khamas song and check out thiraipaadal (when it starts working) for the 'Vaazhkai' song, if you haven't heard it already.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00708.html

Does someone have any other link for the 'Vaazhkai' song. Hope they fix thiraipaadal soon.

raagas
29th October 2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks app and raj for the link. And thanks to thumburu for pointing out this song. (Going to dhool.com for the song has the additional benefit of reading Saravanan's article, which as usual, is of high quality.)

I am hearing this song for the first time. A lovely Khamas. The prelude, the interludes, the tune, everything is top notch. I was particularly amused by the contrast between the singing of Janaki, the master of singing a film song, and the very traditional rendering of TVG.

Another song which I heard for the first time today was from the film 'Vaazhkai'. The song being 'Kaalam Maaralam'. By SPB and Vani. A very nice Hamsadhwani based number.

I would recommend both these songs to someone like raagas, who is interested in, what else, raagas :D So raagas, check out the dhool/cooltoad link for the Khamas song and check out thiraipaadal (when it starts working) for the 'Vaazhkai' song, if you haven't heard it already.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00708.html

Does someone have any other link for the 'Vaazhkai' song. Hope they fix thiraipaadal soon.

Suresh,

Thanks for recommending them. Thiraipaadal is down i think. I couldnt listen to the Khamas number yet, but i know the Kaalamaaralam song. It is a beautiful Hamsadhwani. Somehow IR has always composed fantastic hamsadhwanis. The charanam deviates a bit from Hamsadhwani into Maayamalavagowla(i think, not sure) and rejoins the raaga again. IR does the same trick in one more hamsadhwani - "Va Va Va Kannavaa", in which in charanams, he strays into Amrithavarshini just for 2 lines and comes back to Hamsadhwani. Many people, lost in the beauty of that song, do not realize it... :) Thats Raaja.

AravindMano
29th October 2009, 10:58 AM
'Mazhai varudhu mazhai varudhu kudai koNdu vaaa'. Lovely tune.

The feel that the pallavi has (cos of the Bass ) is amazing.

In the charaNams, the lines are sung in two orders, which i felt was very interesting.

உலகமெங்கும் நமது ஆட்சி
நிலமும் வானும் அதற்கு சாட்சி
நிலமும் வானும் நமது ஆட்சி
உலகமெங்கும் அதற்க்கு சாட்சி

&

சுகங்கள் யாவும் அளந்து பார்ப்போம்
நதிகள் மீதும் நடந்து பார்ப்போம்
நதிகள் மீதும் நடந்து பார்ப்போம்
சுகங்கள் யாவும் அளந்து பார்ப்போம்

Sureshs65
29th October 2009, 01:45 PM
Arvind,

Add me to the list of people who are taken in by the way the lyrics are structured for that song.

Reminds me of an old Telugu song from 'Gundamma Katha', 'entha haayi E reyi, entha madhuram E hayi.' There the female singer gives a small twist to the lines sung by the male singer, giving it a different meaning. Very well done song. If someone wants to listen to that old Telugu song, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ph55XonPhc&feature=PlayList&p=52C835F834B5CAD9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

raagas
29th October 2009, 03:28 PM
thats a fantastic song Suresh. Ghatasala's compositions were always great. and lyrics too, "Chandamaama challagaa.. Maththumandhu challagaa".. beauty..

ok, digression ends.

Sureshs65
29th October 2009, 09:37 PM
'Taalatum Katre' from Devan.

Thanks to RS who has uploaded this album in his folder.

sivasub
30th October 2009, 01:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSTrQ4boS9I&feature=related

sivasub
30th October 2009, 02:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umWTU18JiA0&feature=PlayList&p=97E867710945BEED&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

tvsankar
30th October 2009, 11:12 AM
isvasub,

Thanks for the links....

sivasub
30th October 2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.musicplug.in/multiple_song_flashplayer.php?songid=15457,15459&br=medium&id=3149&page=movies

thumburu
30th October 2009, 02:14 PM
Hi sivasub, my humble request to you would be to not stop just with links. Please add a few words citing your listening experience of that song, most importantly , what song it is as many of us cannot open links at workplace

sivasub
30th October 2009, 02:20 PM
I get so overwhelmed listening to these that I first would like to share the link to everyone. I will try to put text to all three links and my experience listening to them (again and again and again!!!)

thumburu
30th October 2009, 02:32 PM
"chendulli chendulli chandana chendulli" , my only pick of "Bagyadha Belagara" - musical idea wise, ths song can give the " much loved and awed" "Rangu Rangu" of "Prem Kahani" a run. This one is such a jaunty , dashing number !!! But where then did it falter?
1. Raja's aged, strained voice is no match to Shreya's youthful buoyancy. SPB not only could have been Shreya's worthy suitor , but also showcased the song to the masses
2. When compared to other repetitive, predictable, S.A.Rajkumarish songs from the same movie, this songs lacks volume or brightness overall. Any difference in recording or the synth did the damage?
3. The weak synth rythm . We can compare with how the real drums elevated the rollicking feel to "my dear marthandan" songs

app_engine
30th October 2009, 06:39 PM
The weak synth rythm . We can compare with how the real drums elevated the rollicking feel

Did you listen to Pazhassi Raja songs yet ? Check them out for what nice work the whole drums department has done (i.e. after a long time) :-)

kiru
31st October 2009, 03:30 AM
I have some 80s hits of raja in a CD that I recently discovered in my collection. I can't get over the feeling that 'meen kodi thEril' is like a Rahman song..many other songs in this collection (like ilamai ennum poongaRRU) are all structured the same way..rhythm extending through the interludes in a loop .. Not sure why this format went out of favor with IR (and subsequently followed as rule by Rahman).

Sureshs65
31st October 2009, 07:57 AM
kiru,

Very strange coincidence. I bought a CD recently which has the songs of the movie 'Vazhkai'. I have never heard them before. When I heard the song 'mella mella' from this film, it immediately stuck me as to how close this song was to the later day Rahman songs. The minimalist arrangement during the song and the general rhythm. In fact I was reminded of the 'kadhalikkum pennin kaigal' from Kadhalan when I heard this song.

rajasaranam
31st October 2009, 08:51 AM
Suresh,

Listen to prelude of 'Maasi Maasam Aalana penne' and then listen to 'Kadhalikkum Pennin' we can find subtle similarities in the structure. It could be a sheer coincidence but we can understand that Raaja has ventured into some patterns much earlier which Rahman later explored.
Raaja given his constant strive for experiments had many left overs like these from his lab which the ater MD's have taken up (May be unconciously!) and have created beautiful music.

Sureshs65
31st October 2009, 10:04 PM
Listening to two carnatic delights which happen to be folk songs!!

Recently bought a CD which has 'Rajarishi', 'Vazhkai' and 'Padikatha Pannayaar'. The third film has two delightful songs which are based on Carnatic ragas but are essentially folk melodies.

One is 'konatha senkaumbe'. Based on a morning melody. (Is it Malayamarutham?) The same raga he uses in 'Thendral Ennai Muttamittadu' (Oru Odai Nadhiyagiradhu). The integration is perfect. You can hear the folk song or a carnatic song based on your ear. Lovely mridangam accompaniment during the pallavi. The shenoy / nadaswaram during interludes and the energetic charanams accentuate the folk feeling.

The other song 'Ada onnum teriyada paapa'. A superb Shanmukhapriya. Again it is a pure folk song if you look at it from the'folk' side and a very interesting Shanmukhapriya if you look at it from the Carnatic side. Infact close to when the charanam ends, the singers are made to show the raga clearly but maintaining the folk edge.

Malaysia and Shailaja have a rollicking time. BTW, the lyricist also seems to have a had a great time. Who is the lyricist? Is it Vairamuthu?

As usual amazed by this outstanding fusion. As they say in Tamil films, "only raaja fossible" :)

app_eng, any info on this movie?

Sureshs65
31st October 2009, 10:06 PM
Malaysia for the 'Ada onnu teriyada paapa' song. 'konatha sengkarumbu' is by Deepan and Shailaja.

tvsankar
2nd November 2009, 10:19 PM
suresh,
konathae senkarumbae and onnum theriyadha

enna padam idhu ellam???

tvsankar
2nd November 2009, 10:21 PM
Enaku piditha padal

Balu Mahendra - song ku - picturisation
nalla seivar...

ana indha paatu ku yen ipadi senjutar........

Shreya vin mazhalai .. i like it...

Enaku pidita padal
adu unaku pidikumae
en manadu pogum vazhiyil
undan manadu pogumae....

TA - vai - asaiya - neraiya solli iruapar..

tvsankar
2nd November 2009, 10:22 PM
youtube for Enaku piditha padal

http://www.youtube.com/user/balaji2k#p/c/29502DA3CF5C8FB5/17/hqOAvE2kPv0

Sureshs65
2nd November 2009, 10:23 PM
Usha,

It is from the film 'Padikkadha Pannaiyar'.

tvsankar
2nd November 2009, 10:26 PM
oh
padikadha pannaiyar - MD - MSV dhanae????

app_engine
2nd November 2009, 10:46 PM
Sureshs65,
I haven't listened to padikkAdha paNNaiyAr. :? Possibly one of those missed out.

Sureshs65
2nd November 2009, 11:45 PM
No Usha. The MD is Raja. You can get it in thiraipaadal. The site is still not up but here is the link:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00473.html

Sureshs65
2nd November 2009, 11:47 PM
app,

Do listen to it when thiraipaadal is up. All the songs are fun songs and it is clear that everyone, the MD, singers and lyricist(s) were enjoying themselves.

Sureshs65
2nd November 2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the link Usha. You can see how Shreya's diction has improved over the years. This is one more of those songs which didn't get its due when it came out.

rajkumarc
3rd November 2009, 10:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRjcE41ojPU&feature=related

Enni Janmalaina from Sri Yedukondala Swamy. Came across this beautiful song in Youtube by sheer luck. A very soothing melody sung by IR and SJ.

Anyone has more info on this album? Is this a devotional album? Does anyone have an MP3 version that you could share? Thanks.

thumburu
3rd November 2009, 05:04 PM
The weak synth rythm . We can compare with how the real drums elevated the rollicking feel

Did you listen to Pazhassi Raja songs yet ? Check them out for what nice work the whole drums department has done (i.e. after a long time) :-)

yes, pazhassi Raja songs have good production quality and the rythms clarity is as good as the late 80's to early 90's period songs of aboorva sagodharargaL , kalaignyan , mmkr etc . My question is why is IR giving a step motherly treatment to other movies like kannukuLLe or Bhagyada Belagara etc . He never used to show this difference before

app_engine
3rd November 2009, 06:28 PM
thumburu,

I too have the same question (actually posted it in this forum in some thread only a few days back).

In that same post I blabbered about budget equations etc as possible reasons.

Also, it looks like most capable instrument players in India are as costly as BSO (going by the way IR is resorting to either electronic replacements or BSO) வச்சாக்குடுமி...:-)

Sureshs65
3rd November 2009, 06:48 PM
thumburu,

I would probably not agree with your conclusion from a musical angle. Maybe the production quality varies due to budget constraints that app_eng is talking. I guess nowadays the more you pay the better sound quality you can get. Given the 'kanukkule' and 'madhiya chennai' are done by some 'upma' producers we cannot expect the same production values here as PR. In earlier days, it was the same orchestra, the same recording studio etc so there really wasn't any difference but nowadays depending on the money you pay, you either get a 'kudumi' or ... Raja has accepted that reality. Now we need to.

From the point of musical ideas I don't think he is differentiating. The spread is very similar to what it was during his peak. Some went on to become major hits, some didn't. The same is happening now as well.

Sureshs65
3rd November 2009, 06:49 PM
rajkumar,

Yedukondala Swamy has many lovely songs. DO search the web for mp3 and you should get it. If you unable to get it, I will see if I can upload some of the songs.

tvsankar
3rd November 2009, 07:29 PM
This one now am hearing......

wat a lyric... wat a rendition.. wat a composiition....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1uSIe9WJ8k

app_engine
3rd November 2009, 07:56 PM
This one now am hearing......

wat a lyric... wat a rendition.. wat a composiition....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1uSIe9WJ8k

Some of the sounds are used in the 'pA' promotion website.

tvsankar
3rd November 2009, 10:26 PM
Yes app. IR New album la discussion
parthundu iruken..

adhanala dhan - kaatu vazhi - kaeten ipo.

indha tune - inum epadi maara poradhu nu - think of that..

afterthat,

manasu thadumarum - edhu nalla iruku nu...

kaatu vazhiya - paa va.. nu...

Enaku epavum - First is Best from our IR...

tvsankar
3rd November 2009, 10:29 PM
Suresh,
Thiraipadal work aradhu - indha nimisham...

so - Padikadha panniayar - Konatha - indha song kaeka poren ipo.

app_engine
3rd November 2009, 10:32 PM

Same with me mostly but there are some rare exceptions. ('jAne dO nA' is superior to 'jothiyelli' / 'vizhiyilE')

tvsankar
3rd November 2009, 10:52 PM

Same with me mostly but there are some rare exceptions. ('jAne dO nA' is superior to 'jothiyelli' / 'vizhiyilE')

Yes app. Feelings ai kooda careful a sollanam IR song ku...
hhehehe..

me too.

apadi partha inum sila songs iurku..

Naina Bole Naina from Aur Ek Prem kahani. idhu enaku
romba pidikum.

http://beta.musicmazaa.com/hindi/audiosongs/movie/Aur+Ek+Prem+Kahani.html

Hulkster
4th November 2009, 09:22 AM
Ennada Ninaicha - Adhu Oru Kanaa Kaalam

Koothu + Jazz +Rock = Raajaficent song.

:notworthy: :clap:

ajithfederer
4th November 2009, 09:50 AM
தேவதை போல் ஒரு பெண் இங்கு வந்தது நம்பி உன்னை நம்பி (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mqkoWnsHuo&feature=related)

dEvadhai pOl oru peNN ingu vandhadhu
nambi unnai nambi
indha maithunan kai thaLam patrida vandhadhu
thambi thanga kambi

poo choodavum pAi podavum (2)
shubha veLai dhAn

dEvadhai pOl oru .....

srIrAman jAnaki bhandham indha sondham
dEvAthi dhEverum soozha nalam pAda
moondru mudi poda Anadal thunai kooda
vEdhangalin pArAyanam poo pandhalil Alinganam

dEvadhai pOl oru ...

sIthAvai priththadhu mAn dhAn puLLi mAn dhAn
thOdhAga sErthadhu mAn dhAn hanumAn dhAn
nAngal hanumAngal vAzhga iLa mAngaL
kalyAnamE vaibhOgam thAn poondhErile oorgOlam dhAn

dEvadhai pOl oru ...

Dedicating this song to one of the hubbers here. :lol2:.

19thmay
4th November 2009, 09:59 AM
Dedicating this song to one of the hubbers here. :lol2:.

I know I know! :devil: :boo:

ajithfederer
4th November 2009, 10:03 AM
:lol:.

ரொம்ப நல்ல பாட்டு இல்லையா மாம்ஸ் ???

kiru
4th November 2009, 11:15 AM
parthundu iruken..

afterthat,

Paa is an "orchestral" version of the same song. IR has done "oLiyiLE therivadhu" also like this way. I liked the oliyilE song but found the bgm/orchestral really classy. Dont know whether the general audience cares for these "orchestral" versions.

tvsankar
4th November 2009, 01:05 PM
af,
yaruku pa dedicate panni irukae..
yar nu solradhu dhanae.. :)

tvsankar
4th November 2009, 01:08 PM
parthundu iruken..

afterthat,

Paa is an "orchestral" version of the same song. IR has done "oLiyiLE therivadhu" also like this way. I liked the oliyilE song but found the bgm/orchestral really classy. Dont know whether the general audience cares for these "orchestral" versions.

kiru,

IR oda Special ae - Orchestration dhanae.......

Vera vazhiyae ilai - Ellarum Nichayam Gavanipanga....

raagas
4th November 2009, 01:35 PM
Margazhi Poove song from Panjami -
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=445978

Can someone please upload this one in mediafire and give me the link. I didnt listen to it till now.

tvsankar
4th November 2009, 04:25 PM
raagas,
check the upload link...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j1vwyjnmymy

could u able to download...

. pl tell me...

app_engine
5th November 2009, 12:02 AM
chal chalEin chal chal chalEin

Decent song, especially the end is sweet.

Also the powerful bass pattern that is through out the song is very nice.

I doubt whether the "trumpet" sounds in the prelude / interludes are from live instrument. Most probably from keyboards and hence does not sound grand.

If some good orchestra had been used, this would have had the potential to challenge IR's other "military-like" songs!

app_engine
5th November 2009, 12:07 AM
Also the prelude of 'badhlA dEi' - why the whole song - is a surprise package, though I wished the "distortion-guitar-metal-rock-like sound" that is used after the sweet lead start in the prelude is recorded louder and stronger :-(

The second interlude even has a 'kuRumbu' piece by IR (shenoy?).

raagas
5th November 2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks a lot Usha. Yes I am able to download :)

jaiganes
5th November 2009, 09:11 AM
Also the prelude of 'badhlA dEi' - why the whole song - is a surprise package, though I wished the "distortion-guitar-metal-rock-like sound" that is used after the sweet lead start in the prelude is recorded louder and stronger :-(

The second interlude even has a 'kuRumbu' piece by IR (shenoy?).
I think it is a pipe synth with some funked up distortion and I love every time it comes on in my speaker.
The energy of shaan and sunidhi has been nicely captured by IR and Even the kavita krishnamurthy song has a nice zing to it - the prelude to that song is also a cracker - one of the nice preludes to a song in recent times.
And no matter how much said about the lori song by Sadhana and 'tum bhi dhoondna' by Hari would be enough to express their innate simple beauty - particularly the lori is the 'nth' variation of the lori and still sounding very different and interesting in all its avatars.

thumburu
5th November 2009, 04:47 PM
[quote="Sureshs65"]thumburu,

I would probably not agree with your conclusion from a musical angle. Maybe the production quality varies due to budget constraints that app_eng is talking. I guess nowadays the more you pay the better sound quality you can get. Given the 'kanukkule' and 'madhiya chennai' are done by some 'upma' producers we cannot expect the same production values here as PR. In earlier days, it was the same orchestra, the same recording studio etc so there really wasn't any difference but nowadays depending on the money you pay, you either get a 'kudumi' or ... Raja has accepted that reality. Now we need to.

Reality hurts loyal fans like me Suresh. But still, don't u think Raja is only next to Rahman in terms of the clout he wields so that he can always demand real orchestra , good quality sound etc?

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 07:24 PM
thumburu,

What you say is true about Raja's clout but I guess he knows the amount of money the producer can spend and accordingly does some 'adjust maadi' :) That's the feeling I get.

If you see Rahman, you can safely say he has priced himself out of Tamil film industry. Only the very best banners can now afford him. You can't think of producer of film like 'Kannukulle' or 'Madhiya Chennai' getting Rahman to do music for their film. In that way, Raja seems to have taken a different route and maybe some compromise along the way are necessary in order to help the 'kaara bath' producers!!

This is ofcourse my own conjecture. Not sure how far it is true. All said and done, like you I too would love to listen to some real instruments but given the quality of his current output I am not complaining :)

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 09:52 PM
Listening to 'thenekkanna teeyanidhi' from the Telugu film Rajkumar. You can listen / see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KkPOvKmh0&feature=related

Plum and I have been regularly posting about how Raja is able to give the local touch in whichever South Indian language he touches. The writer Jeyamohan in one interview stated that the music of the Malayalam film 'Atharvam' sounded as if it was tuned by a master who knew nothing other than the music of Kerala. This song gives me the same impression. It is as if this song was tuned by a man who was born and brought up in the Godavari area and knows no language other than Telugu!!!

app_engine
6th November 2009, 12:32 AM
'kunnaththE' on repeat :-)

I think KSC will get NA this year for this song. (Not just the reason that the song is great but the other factors are favourable as well - movie getting due recognition, capability of the team to fight / influence the judges etc).

And she has sung beautifully, deservingly!

(It's possible there're better songs in other languages / Hindi etc, but from whatever I've heard, this tops and the close contender is 'kaNNil pArvai' but since it doesn't come on-screen, doesn't have a chance.)

KSC's voice is as youthful as it was in 'poovE poochchooda vA' times or at least 'manjnal prasAdavum' times, how is it possible :? :notworthy:

jaiganes
6th November 2009, 01:20 AM
Shringaara hennindhaa an old kannada song - donno which movie it is , IR-SPB-SJ -Bass guitar, Violin ensemble - Bliss.

Sureshs65
6th November 2009, 03:49 PM
Jai,

That lovely song is from the movie "Nagara Bayalu".

jaiganes
6th November 2009, 05:57 PM
Jai,

That lovely song is from the movie "Nagara Bayalu".
tanksuuuu.

ajithfederer
7th November 2009, 01:22 AM
சின்னன்சிறு வயதில் எனக்கோர் சித்திரம் தோணுதடி

பின்னல் விழுந்தது போல் எதையோ பேசவும் தோணுதடி

செல்லம்மா பேசவும் தோணுதடி

மோகன புன்னகையில் ஓர் நாள் மூன்று தமிழ் படித்தேன்

சாகச நாடகத்தில் அவனோர் தத்துவம் சொல்லி வைத்தான்

உள்ளத்தில் வைத்திருந்தும் நான் ஓர் ஊமையை போல் இருந்தேன்

கள்ளத்தனம் என்னடி எனக்கோர் காவியம் சொல்லு என்றான்

சின்னன்சிறு வயதில் எனக்கோர் சித்திரம் தோணுதடி

பின்னல் விழுந்தது போல் எதையோ பேசவும் தோணுதடி

வெள்ளி பனி உருகி மடியில் வீழ்ந்தது போல் இருந்தேன்

பள்ளித்தலம் வரையில் செல்லம்மா படம் பயின்று வந்தேன்

காதல் நெருப்பினிலே எனது கண்களை விட்டுவிட்டேன்

மோதும் விரகத்திலே

மோதும் விரகத்திலே .....செல்லம்மா

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRiTjObUXSM

IR, KJY, Janaki (??), KH and Sridevi :clap: :clap: :clap:.

எழுத்து மற்றும் சொற் பிழைகள் ஏதேனும் இருந்தால் என்னை மன்னிக்கவும். :oops:.

tvsankar
7th November 2009, 01:53 AM
IR = Kamal = Idhanae IR kamalai patri padinar..

Each and every song of Kamal IR combo - all are GEMS...

baroque
8th November 2009, 04:59 AM
சொல்லாயோ வாய் திறந்து
வார்த்தை ஒன்று சொல்லாயோ வாய் திறந்து....ஜானு.....- மோகமுள்
விரகதாபம் இளையராஜா crafts வீணை, வயோலின் & புல்லாங்குழல் orchestral embellishment in ராக் ஷண்முகப்ரியா. :musicsmile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCUBkGfXF8
வினதா . :)

Sureshs65
8th November 2009, 04:17 PM
Vinitha,

A lovely song. A very underrated song of Janaki. I think there is another version by Arunmozhi but Janaki's version is top class. Raja gives a very different color to Shanmukhapriya.

Sureshs65
8th November 2009, 04:27 PM
Listen to 'Sarandendu Paadi.' This was one of the throw away album of those time. What I mean by this is during the late 90s I had thrown away many albums of Raja thinking they were not upto the mark. Unconsciously I must have been wanting him to emulate Rahman, which in hindsight seems stupid but yes, in those days the recording quality and synth usage standards were set by Rahman and, as it happened to many people then, I somehow felt Raja was not giving Rahman any competition. So when I heard the album 'Kaliyoonjal', I was not too satisfied and after hearing the songs a couple of times, I gave it to a Mallu colleague of mine and told her not to worry about giving it back to me. She took my word seriously and never returned the tape!!

As it happened multiple time, with passage of time, I started hearing these songs again, online. Slowly the melody started seeping in and then I searched in multiple places till I got this album. Now this is regular listening. 'Sharadendu Paadi' is a song with so many wonderful and delicate touches. The way rhythm plays, the way sax enters once in a while, the small 'song' in the interlude and the whole movement against a backdrop of mild tension that the rhythm creates. Everything in this song reeks of class. Added to it the album has 'manikutti kurubullor', 'varna vrindavanam', 'kalyana pallkil' (a wonderful song based on kanda chapu thalam), 'akkutiku'. I now love all of them.

(An additional bonus for me in this tape is that the second side contains songs from the movie 'Pranayavarnangal'. Music by Vidyasagar. The whole album is very satisfactorily done by Vidyasagar and contains some nice songs.)

irir123
8th November 2009, 10:31 PM
'Sarandendu Paadi' for me was an instant classic! donno how it didnt captivate you immediately!

baroque
8th November 2009, 10:47 PM
சொல்லாயோ வாய்திறந்து..... male singer is ஸ்ரீகுமார் MG
மோகமுள் is a nice album.

சுரேஷ்,
நான் வினதா (vinatha), not வினிதா (vinitha ) :)

I woke up to
ஒ ..... நெஞ்சமே இது உன் ராகமே.......
தீபன் சக்கரவர்த்தி & ஜானு - எனக்காக காத்திரு
PURE BLISS!:musicsmile:

Smooth Bala with easy flowing Shailu .
Suave Ilayaraaja (Sax, flute, guitar, humming) மனதில் என்ன நினைவுகளோ ......இளமை கனவோ..... this cold sunday morning.:musicsmile:

Love you Shri.Ilayaraaja
வினதா :musicsmile:

Sureshs65
8th November 2009, 11:41 PM
irir123,

Well, I probably didn't express myself correctly. 'Saradendhu' was the only song that impressed me then and to some extent 'Varna Vrindavanam'. Now every song in that movie does.

vinatha: Point noted mi lord :D 'Manathil enna ninaivugalo' Aah, What a song.

venkkiram
9th November 2009, 05:20 AM
"பட்டத்து யானைக்கு.. பக்குவமா அலங்கரிச்சி.."

இப்படி உச்ச ஸ்தாயில் ஆரம்பிக்கும் கணீரென்ற குரலோடு ஐக்கியமாகிற மனம் பாடல் முடியும் வரை அதே ஈர்ப்புடன் செல்கிறது.

பள்ளி பருவத்தில் முதன்முதலாக கேட்கும் போதே இந்தப் பாடல் என்னை வெகுவாக கவர்ந்ததுக்கு காரணங்கள் இரண்டு.. பட்டத்து யானைக்கு எனப் பாடும் அந்த குரலுக்கும், பாட்டின் நடைக்கும் தான்.

"ஆலையும், வேலையும் ஆரம்பம் ஆச்சுது..
வாடிய நாளெல்லாம் ஓடியே போச்சுது..
ஏழைக்கும் பாழைக்கும் வாழ்வுதான் வாய்ச்சது..
எப்பவோ விதைச்சது இப்போதான் காய்ச்சது.."

என்ற வரிகளை கடக்கும் போது ஏற்கனவே பழகிப் போன ஒரு சந்த நடை நமக்கு இன்னொரு முறை அறிமுகமாகி நம்மை இன்னும் குதூகலப்படுத்துகிறது.

சுமார் பனிரெண்டு வருடங்களுக்கு பிறகு இப்போது கேட்கிறேன். ஈர்ப்பு ஒரு சதவீதம் கூட குறையவில்லை. ஒரு பாலு, ஒரு ஜானகி, ஒரு ஏசுதாஸ் , ஒரு சித்ரா, ஒரு மலேஷியா..ம்ஹும்.. இப்படி யாருமே இல்லாமலும் ஒரு வெண்கல குரலோடு பாடலை சிகரத்திற்கு ராஜா எடுத்துச் சென்றிருக்கிறார்.

இதெல்லாம் ஒரு பாட்டுன்னு எழுத வந்துட்டான் என நீங்க நினைத்துக் கொண்டால் எனக்கு கவலையில்லை.

baroque
9th November 2009, 08:37 AM
சுரேஷ் :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXGl0ljloOM
ஏ ராசாத்தி ரோசாப்பூ வா வா வா ... :swinghead:
vinatha.

Sureshs65
9th November 2009, 08:57 AM
venki,

Which movie is this song from?

venkkiram
9th November 2009, 09:37 AM
சர்க்கரைத் தேவன் ..வெளியான ஆண்டு 1993. குரல் : ராகவேந்தர்.

சரியாகச் சொன்னால், கல்லூரி கால ஆரம்பத்தில் கேட்டது.

Plum
9th November 2009, 11:21 AM
AM, Venkiram, which song is that? Paakku kondA?
Sakkarai Thevan was a very good album - thanneer kudam(with a resemblance to Enadu viriponi from Kanakalaxmi troupe), manjal poosum, Nalla vellikizhamai and paakku konda...

Sanjeevi
9th November 2009, 11:52 AM
Adi rakku muthu raakku paatu mathiri irukkume antha Patta?

Sureshs65
9th November 2009, 01:13 PM
Venki,

Thanks for this song. Never heard this before. A lovely song with some lovely work on the rhythms and wonderful interludes.

Plum: It is indeed the paaku konda song. And Sanjeevi is right. It is somewhat similar to raaku muthu song in its beginning.

Plum
9th November 2009, 02:14 PM
yes, it is. Thanks venkkiram for bringing this here. Apologies if we hurt you in any of the discussions - Charu Nivedita is Maaya thevan - tends to bring out the animal in most of us :-)

Sureshs65
9th November 2009, 06:39 PM
'nilu nilu' from the film Dhanush. Listen to it at:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00111.html

I picked up this album only yesterday. I saw this in a shop and remembered RS once talking about the album. This song is a typical robust, kuttu type number, sung by SPB Charan, YSR and Malgadi Subha. A very nice song but what amazed me was the Durga ragam (Suddha Saveri's Hindustani counterpart.) Raja uses the same color of Durga in the song 'kolluramma kovilukku sandoshama vanga" sung by Bhavatharini for the private album, 'Amma Paamalai". You can listen to that song here:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00739.html

This song is very consistent with Raja's vision that there are no divisions and it is us who put up labels to music. When you hear these two songs you can understand why he says that. The same color of Raga Durga is used for a sensuous, playful number and for a diametrically opposite bhakti bhavam on the other side. This is only possible by someone who is, as Kamal mentioned, a Isai Vignani!! Hats off.

jaiganes
9th November 2009, 10:20 PM
சர்க்கரைத் தேவன் ..வெளியான ஆண்டு 1993. குரல் : ராகவேந்தர்.

சரியாகச் சொன்னால், கல்லூரி கால ஆரம்பத்தில் கேட்டது.

Best from the movie was 'Nalla Velli kezhamayile'. I had it recorded in cassette and heard it over and over till the tape was destroyed.
It is also the best picturised song in the movie.

Who is the lyricist of the song? looks like Raasappu to me.

'Akkarai servadharkku annai dhaan thoAniyadi'

simply too simple and too good.

Sureshs65
10th November 2009, 12:14 PM
Listening to 'thaneer kudam' song from Sakkarai Devan along with 'paaku konda' song. Every song in this movie seems to be good. Wonder how I missed this album. Currently loving the 'thaneer kudam' song. Excellent rendition by Janaki. Thanks once again to Venki for bringing up this album.

thumburu
10th November 2009, 04:56 PM
"manjal poosum" is my most preferred song from "Sarkarai Devan". It is based on Misrasivaranjini scale. The duality beauty of this song can be felt more in the charanams. Typical Raja stuff

app_engine
10th November 2009, 07:41 PM
"இனியாம் திருமொழி தன் அம்ருது தேடும் அரிய மதுர நிமிஷம்" made my morning great! Thank you IR & Chitra :-)

Prior to this "current-morning-ritual-song", I had a few repeats of 'badhlA dhEi' (chal chalEin) also. What a sweet second interlude (slight variation of the prelude with that kuRumbu sound)!

I think IR songs with great 2nd interludes will be a topic of research (especially why he chooses often to have a "quick / so-so / ordinary / average" first interlude in a number of songs where the second one is phenomenal).

Raikkonen
10th November 2009, 07:50 PM
Pesu En Anbe
Neengatha Ennam

Vidiyum Varai Kaathiru.. :D :bow:

Sureshs65
10th November 2009, 09:43 PM
app_eng,

Just reading those words itself makes me feel happy !! The whole of Pazhassiraja has become like Suprabhatam to me :) And Chitra's songs takes the top position.

jaiganes
10th November 2009, 10:30 PM
"இனியாம் திருமொழி தன் அம்ருது தேடும் அரிய மதுர நிமிஷம்" made my morning great! Thank you IR & Chitra :-)

Prior to this "current-morning-ritual-song", I had a few repeats of 'badhlA dhEi' (chal chalEin) also. What a sweet second interlude (slight variation of the prelude with that kuRumbu sound)!

I think IR songs with great 2nd interludes will be a topic of research (especially why he chooses often to have a "quick / so-so / ordinary / average" first interlude in a number of songs where the second one is phenomenal).

interesting u mention abt 2nd interludes...
I am right now enjoying awesome second interlude for '
Hero hero hero from ajeya - it is a trumpet and sax bliss with drums thundering away.

Plum
10th November 2009, 10:37 PM
One would say that and one would then think of a whole bunch of songs with great first interludes - try Valaiyosai for instance - the crescendo at the point where Kamal(a) jointly step on the weighing machine - the whole set-up until then with the guitar quietly starting it off, and then picking frenzy, and the rushing violins at that point...

app_engine
10th November 2009, 10:56 PM
Plum,
It's true that a number of songs have great first interludes (the one that immediately comes to mind is 'thoongAdha vizhigaL reNdu', what a flow from the pallavi).

The 2nd interlude thingy was simply a musing (I think it was discussed by some in tfmpage old days also). My mind was theorizing a possible way IR found to maintain interest for the song after mid-way, making it sound less repetitive...

Whatever it is, when the second interlude is as good or better than the first, the song had no difficulty in getting into my fav's :-) The list is actually quite long!

Sureshs65
11th November 2009, 09:13 AM
app_eng,

I had this theory earlier that the first interlude of Raja was always very novel and probably broke the structure of the song at that point and that the second interlude flowed with the song. My point of reference was the 'poonkadave' song. The first interlude just freaks out with nadaswaram and all and the second interlude wonderfully blends with the song.

Ofcourse this is absolutely amateurish analysis. That is the problem with Raja's music. You need to analyze a lot of songs in order to come to some conclusion but in the end you just cannot come to any conclusion for he has done so much there is scope for every kind of argument !!!

jaiganes
13th November 2009, 12:02 PM
Late night hearing of 'Kunnaathe' is a heavenly experience.
I donno if it was my regular state of mild hallucination or the extra bass boost in my mp3 player, I heard 'DISTINCT' bass lines recorded at so low a volume in comparison with voice and drums, that it becomes prominent only in certain passages, the notable one being 'udalil naagam aniyum'. Then it suddenly hides behind a mild rhythm that is again difficult to hear...
BLISS....

tvsankar
13th November 2009, 12:24 PM
Oh maanae maanae from Velai Roja

Heard thorugh Headphone.. Very nice experience.

But - app - u will tell something about the sterio of our IR from the Headphone..

But - i love it to hear in headphone.

Music Flow - Indha varthaiku artham - indha patula
romba nalla theiryum.

Really Nice journey ....

Indha paatai - padam vandha podhu - Kadalur to Pondichery
- HIgh way la - December month la - Early mor il - kootamae ilaldha empty road -

ORU BUS JOURNEY la kaetadhum....

Really, the Bus Journey experience made a pleasant experience with this song...

indha paatai kaetkum podhellam - indha bus journey dhan
enaku nyabagam varum....

Bala (Karthik)
13th November 2009, 02:04 PM
One would say that and one would then think of a whole bunch of songs with great first interludes - try Valaiyosai for instance - the crescendo at the point where Kamal(a) jointly step on the weighing machine - the whole set-up until then with the guitar quietly starting it off, and then picking frenzy, and the rushing violins at that point...
One of the best ever interludes in my book. Top 5 maybe...
I think kootti kazhichu paatha 1st interlude > 2nd interlude for Raasa (and for Rahman too, might i add)

Plum
13th November 2009, 02:37 PM
Another first interlude to die for - Saamikitta sollivechu from Aavarampoo

jaiganes
13th November 2009, 06:12 PM
Oh - one more thing - pazhassiraja songs seem to have one more layer of vocals that I hear on the left again - need to boost bass extra and then voila - i can hear that along with that bass line (from synth though).

app_engine
13th November 2009, 07:33 PM
Oh - one more thing - pazhassiraja songs seem to have one more layer of vocals that I hear on the left again - need to boost bass extra and then voila - i can hear that along with that bass line (from synth though).

Last night I heard 'kunnaththE' for the 1st time on iPod (I don't use this at all as "those little ear phones" are not my preferred items, but had to test something) and it does have "echo vocals" ; I don't notice it when I hear on car.

jaiganes
13th November 2009, 09:15 PM

Last night I heard 'kunnaththE' for the 1st time on iPod (I don't use this at all as "those little ear phones" are not my preferred items, but had to test something) and it does have "echo vocals" ; I don't notice it when I hear on car.

Also it made me wonder was the bass line real bass guitar or synth?
Coz we know how much of prominence raaja gives to bass lines in his songs - If it were reall bass guitar, I guess it would have been as prominent throughout as it was in that 'thunayaai varanumini udalil naagamaniyumariya haranE' phase . When I listen to it in iPod, I can hear it like a mild humming that gets drowned in the almost silent sofffffffft drum beat that sets the rhythm for chithra's vocals. - It is like I have a thambura that varies the scale ever so slowly and lightly - like a swaying little boat in a lake... I donno how to express it, ever since I have heard it, it keeps playing in my mind and the next time I heard it, I hear that only, like arjuna's aim on the bird's eye. If this is not a conscious altering drug, I donno what else is?

kiru
14th November 2009, 04:14 PM
thenRal vandhu theendum bOthu from avatharam - what a song...synth instruments..western classical orchestration/vocal harmonies and rustric style of singing.. Amazing..genre defying song..best use of classical techniques for a POP music format.. I guess the multi-part vocal harmony for a rustic tha na na probably gives us an idea of what is coming..this (or yesterday's) morning commute I listened to this on repeat for 45 min ..without getting bored..

C2
15th November 2009, 07:23 PM
Ondra iranda eduthu solla. Nal poora pesalam IR pathi. Enna oru
talented MD, very gifted. Music padikkamale MD anavar Ekalaivan
madhiri. Avar musicla oru oru pattum edhavadhu oru bgm avadhu
kandippa impress panni "RAJA" mudhirayai kanbikkum.

Manjal nilavukku indru ore sugam pattu BGM rail sound,adhai kettal
nijamagave train journey pora feeling varum.

en kanmani un kadhali pattu kettal nijamagave busil pogara madhiri
thonum.

Magical MD really.

Sureshs65
15th November 2009, 11:43 PM
kiru,

That is what I find special about Raja's music. The same thing going on for hours and you don't feel bored!! Very recently I had gone to the Paa website which played only a part of the theme music. After having gone there, in another window I wandered off to other sites and then was doing some work. It must have been atleast half an hour before I realized that I have been hearing the same small piece over and over again!! I generally get an headache if I listen to the same piece of music again and again.

Sureshs65
15th November 2009, 11:52 PM
Jai,

I believe Raja deliberately gets in the bass at 'thunayai' to make it come as a thunai!! Even with half the orchestration, 'kunnathe' would have turned into an all time classic. It is just that Raja is a supreme artist who tunes and orchestrates for himself. We are just lucky.

Sureshs65
16th November 2009, 10:07 PM
A link to a youtube clipping featuring the singer Sunitha / Sandhya was given in another forum. She sang this song from 'Thenpandi Singam', "nenkam inikiradhu". It was a fascinating Shanmukhapriya which reminded me of "Sollayo Vai Thirandhu" from Mogamul. You can hear the song here. A typical classical feast.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00651.html

BTW, does anyone have any idea of 'Thenpandi Singam'? Was it a movie, a tele film or tele serial?

tvsankar
16th November 2009, 10:48 PM
Suresh,
nama C.R.Venky ku nalla theiryum.. Avar dhan
romba munnadi,
indha Serial(??) la vera oru song koduthar ...

avaroda blog la potu irundhar nu nenaikaren suresh..
so He knows very well about the album.....

Sanjeevi
17th November 2009, 02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFNiJQ49lOE

more than brilliant - vera enna kunnathE song in excellent quality video and audio

I select this is song of the year in any language, what a song, what a feel

rajasaranam
17th November 2009, 06:52 PM
BTW, does anyone have any idea of 'Thenpandi Singam'? Was it a movie, a tele film or tele serial?

Thenpaandi Singam was the SunTV 13 Episode Serial Adaptation of Kalaignar's 'Paayum Puli Pandaraga Vanniyan'. Raaja Scored 6 songs for the Serial. The Title Song was/is a Goosepimple Stuff rendered by Raaja himself.

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 08:35 PM
Sanjeevi,

Very true. For me, it is a toss up between 'kaNNil pArvai' and 'kunnathe' for this year's best song and I think 'kunnathe' wins by a whisker.

jaiganes
18th November 2009, 01:20 AM
Sanjeevi,

Very true. For me, it is a toss up between 'kaNNil pArvai' and 'kunnathe' for this year's best song and I think 'kunnathe' wins by a whisker.

My vote is for 'Om Sivoham' simply the best song in the past 5 years for me.

kiru
18th November 2009, 07:32 AM
Suresh.yes..IR's music to use the cliche..thevittaatha thEn amudhu.I liked your analyses of Paa in the other thread. But all you guys are so fond of Paa, more than PR ..and even in PR kunnathE instead of aadhi ushas.
I think I am in the minority to like "big orchestral arrangements"..if that's the case there are less chances of this genre of music from IR..this is one of his strengths..his core skills that will go untapped..maybe I am lamenting too much

Bala (Karthik)
18th November 2009, 08:17 AM
Om Sivaoham blows away any competition, obviously even Raaja's own. Only contenders in sight are Kannil Paarvai/Pichai Paathiram

Adutha rung la "Mudi Mudi", "Aadhi Ushasandhya"......

Album nu paatha
Naan Kadavul
<Distance>
Pazhassi Raaja
Paa

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 12:03 PM
kiru,

It is not that I don't like big orchestral arrangements. Blame my liking of 'kunnathe' for my predilection towards melody based songs. That is why 'kannil paarvai' impresses me more than 'Om Shivoham'. I love 'adiushas', 'alamadangana', 'om shivoham'. It is just that 'kunnathe' touches my soul more.

I don't think I am more fond of 'Paa' than 'PR'. I mean, I love both of them equally. They are quite different from each other. And I am thankful for the variety in both the albums.

I am fully with you reg the mighty orchestral arrangements and I love PR for that. It will need such moves, 'Dhalapathi', 'PR', 'Guru', 'Kalapani' to tap this aspect of Raja. He being very particular about how the music should integrate with a movie, will not go do a large orchestral score for smaller movies.

kiru
18th November 2009, 01:55 PM
Suresh..I guess these things are like two different schools - indian and western.. Like you say I love both too..the western kind I guess is more grander than emotional. I do like Om sivaaham just like you and Bala..I like Guru better than PR (I am sure many folks here who are into tunes will like it too..that way it is a best of both worlds) but I like PR for the energy and the vigor with which it has been orchestrated. I am happy that IR captured the "sound" in Paa accurately. The first MD in India to equal the "sound" of western pop was Rahman. IR never did it for songs and for BGM only after the Hungarian things took off. Sad thing is IR's bgm and songs were world class and similar but it was the "sound engineering" that was keeping it down. "Paa" has realy drums and guitars and it shows.I am enjoying gali mudi and gum sum

thumburu
18th November 2009, 03:54 PM
hi C2, yestwrday I was listening to the olden goldie "manjaL nilaavukku" atleast few times and marvelling at young Raja's compositional skills, the singers perfect delivery , the evergreenness of the song etc
The song of 2009 in my tracklist is also "kannil paarvai" for its uniqueness and next comes "shringara sindhura" of "Prem kahani".There is some magic in Shreya's voice indeed. "Ohm Shivohum" is ofcourse brilliant but it is not the song I would like to listen at all times . "kunnathe" is cho sweet but there are so many in the same milieu under Raja's repertoire .
BTW kIRU, there is some tinge of Gowrimanohari evident in the charanams of "aadhiushas" of PR.
My last song is an erotic , obscure number "kattikidalaam" from "poovarasan". Nice atmospheric beats mark this song . SPB/Chitra convey the right, sensual expression without going overboard

vel
18th November 2009, 04:24 PM
Adhyushas is rishivani - gowrimanohari without the Dha.

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 05:01 PM
thumburu,

Nice to see you mentioning 'Sringara'. I have crying hoarsely about this song :) An excellent composition, well rendered by Shreya. She is able to capture the enthusiasm of the tune very well.

There may have been other such songs under Raja's baton but 'kunnathe's beauty is indescribable. It is an outstanding combination of a great tune, supported by outstanding orchestration, wonderful singing and words which just cling so well to the tune. Every aspect fits in perfectly. The precision would make traditional Swiss watchmakers proud !!

Currently listening to 'Ulagam Suttudu' from 'Karimedu Karuvayan'. A very lovely comic song with the Koundar-Senthil dialog at the start adding to the overall comedy.

Plum
18th November 2009, 05:02 PM
I think kunnathE is a fine, fine song. It being a melody should not take away much from it. I mean it's a melody alright but there's so much else to it. It is not like "Edho oru pattu en kaadhil kEtkum" where the melody is the only thing you have got going. The melody there touches a lot of people and many people genuinely believe it is a great melody song, which I think I can grant them but it fizzles out eventually becuase it has got nothing else going for it. And the tune itself is not such a great melody that you keep discovering beauty around it like you do with, say a MSV song or a KVM song - which may not have orchestral brilliance but the tune itself has so much going for it beyond being a melody.

Now to Kunnathe. I still havent figured out what is it that stands out in this melody but the tune itself has several sweet spots, even if you strip away the flute trills, the percussion, the rhythm and the orchestration. Then you add these, and what comes out is a masterpiece.

People have observed before the special locations in the tune
1. "thuNaiyAi varaNum ini udalil nAga maNiyum..."
2. " "iniyAm thiru mozhi than amritham thEdum..."
3. "pallakkil Eri njan vannu raavil..."
4. "varavarkuhaiyANO kuraviyittu kiLigaL vazhi nILE..."

This is just the individual sweet spots. If you put it together every transition, from "koode vannu" to "varavErkuhaiyANO", the flute between "vazhi nILE" and "vari nel", the transition in the charanam to "thuNaiyAi varaNum", flute after "chARu lajjaiyil endhiNO..." and from there to "Aayilyam..."

And I havent even spoken yet about one Chitra Krishnan Nair.

Sureshs65
18th November 2009, 05:17 PM
And Plum, you haven't spoken about Ottaplavil Neelakandan Velu Kurup. (Thanks to you I have found out his full name now :) )

SAR seems to have taken the 'oru paatu' in that line seriously and as someone had remarked, he keeps copying that one tune in all his movies :lol:

jaiganes
18th November 2009, 06:10 PM
thathaaram from Guru - Simplest of melodies - yet completely blown away by the way instruments blend and the way how the lead singer and the chorus talk to each other. and the wonderful Rhythms.....

particular sweet spot is the charanam allalellaam by the chorus and the lead singer taking the cue next with simmering violins in the background. simply a layering and magic possible only by one man in this planet and adhu namma raasappu...

Plum
18th November 2009, 06:17 PM
Jai, GURU is a class apart. It is so far above even the most outstanding Indian soundtrack/album think of - that's the maestro in his ZONE. The orchestration is not just good or great - it is the lhighest imits of human talent possible. ippO mind-la I am running the song - ovvoru nuance-um easy-A vandhu pogudhu - yay! enakku tape recorder thEvai illai, CD player thEvai illai, ipod thEvai illai. Raja has permeated into me with this album. Now, that's what you call soul-stirring, isnt it?

jaiganes
18th November 2009, 06:23 PM
I have searched previously, but couldn't find a compilation of Raaja's tunes in iTunes. Now I find this link with a good collection
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ilaiyaraaja/id20317131

jaiganes
19th November 2009, 02:32 AM
Uff arre tu mirch hai from chal chalein -
The usual suspects - the second interlude and the first interlude - too good. The whole song, the singing, innocent fun lyrics and ofcourse the chirpy music of Raaja everything is tastefully packaged and presented. A Thoroughly enjoyable song which some 'ACE' reviewers find has 'banal' instrumentation.

jaiganes
19th November 2009, 02:39 AM
Jai, GURU is a class apart. It is so far above even the most outstanding Indian soundtrack/album think of - that's the maestro in his ZONE. The orchestration is not just good or great - it is the lhighest imits of human talent possible. ippO mind-la I am running the song - ovvoru nuance-um easy-A vandhu pogudhu - yay! enakku tape recorder thEvai illai, CD player thEvai illai, ipod thEvai illai. Raja has permeated into me with this album. Now, that's what you call soul-stirring, isnt it?

iPod or other mp3 playerla bass setting pOattu kelunga - appo theriyum innum kaadhukku ithanai naal kekkaama irukka pala vishayangal.

Case in point - After suresh's bass line refrain for 'Kunnathe', rewound to some not so recent Raja songs - zoomed in on 'Chikkaadha sittonnu' from Sethu, The bass grooves had me stumped - very very very intricate base melodies that play side by side with unni krishnan and particularly when he scales a higher pitch in the charanam, they act like a stair case for his voice to climb....
more recently - Badavara manege bandha song from prem kahani - the bass line accompanying sadhana's sweet voice is another gem. I hear it - but didn't spend enough time following it throughout the song (even in the interlude), when i did, I fell to my chair amazed - boss idhu eppadi possibil?
Ippo enna panradhu? po thirumbi poi ella paattayu download pannu, mp3 playerla podu, kelu adhukkapparam, ushakka solra maadhiri 'Saavaradhu' eppdinnu room pottu yosikkalaam..

app_engine
19th November 2009, 03:14 AM
Uff arre tu mirch hai from chal chalein -
The usual suspects - the second interlude and the first interlude - too good.

This song is the fav of my daughter now.

I like the 2nd interlude, free flowing and gives me a mArugO, mArugO kind of gOan feeling :-)

kiru
19th November 2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks guys..for the raagam of aadhi ushas..one aspect of the song that I like is the effective usage of multiple singers/chorus without sounding "mundane" or "boring" . IR seems to continue to this style of singing in Paa. I agree with Plum, "Guru" is the pinnacle of indian film music as a genre. It is not just IR's best. "chal chalein" showed rock influences but Paa does it like a first class rock album (not just from an indian band or composer). Note the use of congas in Paa, as it is normally used in that genre.

Plum
19th November 2009, 11:58 AM
punnaivanathu kuyilE nI ennai ninaithu isai pAdu

Nice song. No frills melody. Which movie?

tvsankar
19th November 2009, 12:05 PM
plum,
PUnnai vanathu kuyilae - Muthu Kalai.

Plum
19th November 2009, 12:06 PM
muthukaalai - cant place it. Just the song suddenly passed through my mind. who was in it? when did it come out?

tvsankar
19th November 2009, 12:06 PM
Punnai vanathu - Sivaranjani raagama???

tvsankar
19th November 2009, 12:08 PM
Karthick and Sowmya - i think...

94 year padam idhu.. failure movie...

Local tv chanel la parthadhu - 10 years before.....

so confirm a solla mudiyalai...

Aalavanthan
19th November 2009, 02:46 PM
nAn thEdum sevvandhi poo vidhu

Parthiban once said during IR's show.. "Raja indha paatu mudhalla oru aa-la onnu paaduvaaru.. adha kettu angaiyae uyir vittudanum pola irukum"nu

How true !!

Plum
19th November 2009, 03:08 PM
Karthick and Sowmya - i think...

94 year padam idhu.. failure movie...

Local tv chanel la parthadhu - 10 years before.....

so confirm a solla mudiyalai...
Right, I remember now. Karthick and Soundarya illaiyO? Sowmya yaaru?

There is also "andha kanji kalyatha.." from this movie, right?

vel
19th November 2009, 03:13 PM
Punnai vanathu - Sivaranjani raagama???

yes, and a very good one !

tvsankar
19th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Plum,
you are correct. Sowndharya dhan...
Sowmya nu thappa solliten.

Enaku Sowndharya vai romba pidikum.. Avaloda kannukaga....

tvsankar
19th November 2009, 06:59 PM
Vel,
Thanks to your Confirmation...

indha thread la dhan - ragam patri doubt ku
ans pannuvneengala Vel???

Plum
19th November 2009, 08:52 PM
Plum,

Incidentally, I just remembered that Soundarya's original name is Sowmya so epdiyO telepathy-la kandu piduchittInga :-)
( I think I saw producer name as Sowmya in the Girish Kasaravalli directed National Award winning movie produced by her)

tvsankar
19th November 2009, 09:34 PM
Plum,

Incidentally, I just remembered that Soundarya's original name is Sowmya so epdiyO telepathy-la kandu piduchittInga :-)
( I think I saw producer name as Sowmya in the Girish Kasaravalli directed National Award winning movie produced by her)

plum - nejamava.... idhuvum enaku thieryadhu...

manasil soundharya nu nenachu - t ype pannum podhu Sowmya nu type panniten....

Ivalai enaku romba pidikum. Tats all. missed her a lot...

baroque
20th November 2009, 08:25 AM
ஷெனாய், புல்லாங்குழல் , giggles , chorus - விளக்கு வைச்ச நேரத்திலே ...முந்தானை முடிச்சு ...ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா & ஜானு
http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=4528&mode=100&rand=0.7364749473764203
:musicsmile: :swinghead:

துள்ளித் திரிந்ததொரு காலம்
பள்ளிப் பயின்றதொரு காலம்......என்றும் அன்புடன் .

ஹார்மோனியம் , ப்ளூட் , ஸ்ரீ.பாலா's humming, அழகான லிரிக்ஸ், melodious tune.
என்றும் அன்புடன் ,
இளையராஜா with பாலா . :musicsmile:
வினதா . :wave:

tvsankar
20th November 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanga thingal vaanilae

Manasiakkarae

Nice beats.. sweeeeeeeet chorus.....

neraiya sollanam indha paatin orchestration patri...

Sureshs65
21st November 2009, 07:30 AM
'Thanga Thingal' is based on gambheera naatai, the same ragam on which 'innum ennai enna seiya pogirai'. It is interesting to observe he uses the same ragam quite differently in both cases. This was also one song which did not impress me immediately when it was released but slowly went on to become a favorite song. The whole album is a favorite of mine now.

Hulkster
21st November 2009, 10:12 AM
Vandhadhadi Thirunaal Thirunaal from Jaganmohini, classic :notworthy:

Now if thalaivar can rerecord this song and add it into the album it will be amazing. :clap:

Sureshs65
23rd November 2009, 05:48 PM
After seeing the interview of singer Sunitha on youtube and being intrigued by her song from 'Tenpandi Singam' I started listening to the album. Thanks to CRV for uploading it. A lovely album all songs based on classical ragas.

The song I am currently hearing is 'thenpandi singamada' sung by Raja and choros. A terrific song. If you hear this song, you can make out the contrast between this and 'Adiushas' song. If the 'Adiushas' was supposed to be only an uprising song, Raja would have probably tuned it this way. Since there was a need for poignancy, Raja has tuned it the way he has.

You can listen to 'thenpandi singamada' at:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/mdalbums.asp?page=3&MdId=MD00001&MovieName=T

Sanjeevi
24th November 2009, 03:03 PM
Was listening to "Gali Mudi" of Paa. I am not sure what I think about this song when I don't listen this song, but whenever I

listen Gali Mudi I am forced to think 'this is the best song in this album' :cool:. Slower tune, smooth singing, Less

orchestration at the same time rare orchestration make great output and very delightful to hear. The ludes especially the

second lude (or first interlude). In tamil there are songs which play with words, I remember a kannadasan song played with

the word "ThEn" (honey). I dont know hindi but the I just fall in love with the 'Da'mination in the song

Uda Uda Lada Qna Chada
Lada Muda Uda Qmay kada
Q uda Q lada Q Kada may
Q hila Q dala Na kila may
Quju da la da ka da ithfaq se

:musicsmile:

thumburu
24th November 2009, 03:49 PM
"Ennayaa ABC" and "vaa raasaa vandhu paaru" from "Adutha vaarisu". It's Janaki's show of versatality all the way, whether it's the playful teaser everytime she croons "vaa raasa" or the coquettish , kitten-like flirtations in "ennaiyaa abc" . Janaki is yet to be replaced and she used to fit Sridevi to the Tee

app_engine
26th November 2009, 11:20 PM
For the long drive last evening, picked one disc that I haven't listened to (didn't even know how it came to be among the CDs) - with the title that goes like 76-83 hits or something like that (there are even a couple of McDowell liqour ads between songs).

Starting with 'annakkiLi onnaththEdudhE', it was full of sweet surprises (felt like listening to radio - my fav analogy to this is involuntary drenching in rain while choosing our own CD is like bathroom shower).

Well, the special pick was 'thakida thathimi' that I listened to after a few years. What a song! இரவு தோறும் அழுது, என் இரண்டு கண்ணும் பழுது - great job by VM for a dubbed song :-)

Listening to this song also triggered some nostalgic conversation with my wife :-)

In the movie, the scene prior to this song is one of my favourites.

Kamal telling the servant in just "jathi lingo" and actions to call the girl (SP Shailaja) to come for dance lessons - தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தா :-) One of the best scenes ever in Indian films!

The picturisation of most part of the song wasn't that great IMO but the ending is simply too good when Jayapradha comes out to save Kamal and the whole ending part is sheer goosebump stuff! I wonder whether there are still talents to create such scenes in movies!

Sureshs65
27th November 2009, 04:58 PM
app_eng,

Nice writeup on the 'thakita thadimi' song. Sagara Sangamam remains one of K Vishwanath's biggest hits along with 'Shankarabaranam'. I am not sure why K Vishwanath moved to Raja for this movie but I don't think anyone has any complaints about the move. K V Mahadevan had given lovely music for earlier Vishwanath movies like 'Siri Siri Muvva', 'Shankarabaranam', 'Saptapadi' etc and it was a well respected team. Maybe the producers pushed KV towards Raja but their association was a superb one. "Sagara Sangamam', 'Swarnakamalam', 'Swatimuthyam' and 'Chinnabbayi'. The last mentioned film nor its music was a great hit but the other three are all time classics in Telugu. (Not that 'Chinnabayi' songs we bad. Quite the contrary. It is just that it didn't have the reach of the other films of this combination.)

One titbit I had read those days was that when Bharathiraja remade 'Alaigal Oyivathillai' in Telugu he wanted to name it 'Sagara Sangamam.' For some reason the movie name was changed to 'Seethakokachilaka'.

One more titbit. The song 'kinnarasani vachindamma' (was it called 'kaveri mangai'? in Tamil?) was recorded for "Sagara Sangamam'. It was not used in this movie. Vishawanth's assistant Vamshi used it in his movie 'Sitara'.

Plum
27th November 2009, 05:03 PM
Suresh, there is a song that goes "saagara sangamame" in SKC so BR seems to have partially satisfied his wish :-)

Yes it is kaviri mangai vandhALamma in Tamil.
(The one in telugu refers to "viswanatha palukai" right? Some kurumbu from the lyricist there!). Ofcourse, Kinnerasani vachindamma is used as interlude in nadha vinodhamu

Chinabbayi has the absolutely beautiful "ninna choosina". Now, I have seen all sorts of Venkatesh songs from that era in Gemini TV and Teja TV but surprisingly, I am still to see this one yet. This movie sure did sink without a trace! The movie also has a nice pleasant "vinapaalu vinamani".

app_engine
27th November 2009, 07:20 PM
The second gem - an evergreen classic - enjoyed from that CD was 'iLamai enum poongAtRu'.

Sweet melody and fantastic interludes (the second one is my top pick). SPB would have probably enjoyed singing this number for I V Sasi :-)

I wish IR worked with Sasi for a few more ventures during that time - pagalil oru iravu & guru (Thamizh) are two among the most brilliant scores of IR!

Sureshs65
27th November 2009, 09:06 PM
Plum,

I had read one article in Ananda Vikatan or Kumudam which reported a discussion between BR and the producer. The producer was expressing that 'Sagara Sangamam' was way too close to being literature :) and if it would work. BR was supposed to have assured him that it would. Looks like the producer had the final say!! My feeling is that he would have wanted the film name as "Sagara Sangamam" after hearing the Telugu version of the song :)

The 'vishwanatha paluku' is probably referring to Vishwanatha Satynaraya, a very famous Telugu author but as you say the lyricist does a nice 'kurumbu' here. Similar to Kannadasan doing the "devarin kulam kaakum velayya" and leaving Chinnappa Devar stunned.

Sureshs65
27th November 2009, 09:07 PM
app_eng,

More than SPB, the actor who acted in that song had a gala time. I think he would be the one wishing he had acted in more of I V Sasi's movies :lol:

Saagar
27th November 2009, 09:13 PM
Sasi was more into films based on Politics after that, & for the few ones with scope for songs, it was predominantly by Shyam (Who's done more work in malayalam than tamil, though he was from TN) for most of his subsequent malayalam films thorugh 80's & many music directors for his tamil films. Shyam's songs are very melodious & pretty IRish.
One of Sasi's films "Ina" had a song "Vellichillum vidari" by AT Ummer which was actually a rehash of "Putham pudhu Kaalai".
www.youtube.com/watch?v=txvvzZlK_o8
The last film IR & Sasi have worked together is Apaaratha (a successful one, starring Rahman & Urvashi in the 90's). It had a hit song Melle melle vannu (Based on Valli Valli ena vandan).

Plum
27th November 2009, 09:47 PM
I think sasi continued to do various kinds of movies. I was surprised to know that it was sasi who helmed the 90's cult classic in malayalam - devaasuram

Sureshs65
27th November 2009, 10:33 PM
Sagar,

Any links for the 'Apaaratha' songs?

baroque
28th November 2009, 09:00 AM
Three songs,

கண்ணுக்குள்ளே யாரோ .....சுஷீலா & ஷைலஜா ....கை கொடுக்கும் கை ... scintillating musical! :musicsmile:

Title track - உதிரிப் பூக்கள்......folkish ராஜா's புல்லாங்குழல், வயோலின் with கஞ்சிரா பீட்ஸ்.
ஏ ...இந்த பூங்காத்து தாலாட்ட ........இளையராஜா :musicsmile:

ஆரிராரோ பாட்டு பாட ...சித்ரா & அருண் மொழி....இளையராஜா.
இனிமையான orchestration with சித்ரா's ஆலாபனா with பியானோ strokes and ப்ளுட் prelude.
வயோலின், வீணை, ப்ளுட், தபலா storke interlude

SWEET COMPOSITION from Parthiban movie.:musicsmile:

வினதா .

Sureshs65
28th November 2009, 06:05 PM
'kan malargalin azhaipidai' from 'Thai Pongal'. In some of Raja's early songs you can see the influence of R D Burman. I feel this is one such song. The scale used seems to be very similar to what RD used for 'panna ki tamanna hai' in 'Heera Panna'. Both are quite distinct songs though. 'kan malargalin' was a late discovery for me.

Listening to a CD which has all songs sung by Raja (solo and duets.) Released by Saregama, this is an excellent CD containing some superb songs.

rajasaranam
28th November 2009, 06:26 PM
'kan malargalin azhaipidai' from 'Thai Pongal'. In some of Raja's early songs you can see the influence of R D Burman. I feel this is one such song. The scale used seems to be very similar to what RD used for 'panna ki tamanna hai' in 'Heera Panna'. Both are quite distinct songs though. 'kan malargalin' was a late discovery for me.

Listening to a CD which has all songs sung by Raja (solo and duets.) Released by Saregama, this is an excellent CD containing some superb songs.

suresh,

The beginning Actually resembles 'Money Money Money' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s) of the Band ABBA.

Sureshs65
28th November 2009, 06:38 PM
RS,

Maybe it is so but the initial parts 'sound' very much like RD's music though the tune takes a different hue with Raja's stamp as it proceeds.

Saagar
28th November 2009, 07:17 PM
Suresh,

The link to Apaaratha songs. In fact, even Pullankuzhal & the Christian song karthavu would be a surprise for those who haven't heard.

Happy listening!

http://www.4shared.com/file/88023276/7c23ccb5/Melle_Melle_Vannu_Aparatha__19.html?s=1

http://www.4shared.com/get/88022403/ff39b52a/Karthavu_Aparatha__1992_.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/88024907/d5e7bdbc/Pullam_Kuzhal_Aparatha__1992_.html?s=1

Saagar
28th November 2009, 07:30 PM
Suresh,

The link to Apaaratha songs. In fact, even Pullankuzhal & the Christian song karthavu would be a surprise for those who haven't heard.

Happy listening!

http://www.4shared.com/file/88023276/7c23ccb5/Melle_Melle_Vannu_Aparatha__19.html?s=1

http://www.4shared.com/get/88022403/ff39b52a/Karthavu_Aparatha__1992_.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/88024907/d5e7bdbc/Pullam_Kuzhal_Aparatha__1992_.html?s=1

tvsankar
28th November 2009, 09:33 PM
Dear Saagar,
Thanks for the link of Rare Gems..

mella mella vannu - nice to hear in malaiyalam.......

Mella mella vannu beat is litttle bit faster than

valli valli ena vandhan???

or is it same beat ?????

tvsankar
28th November 2009, 09:49 PM
karthavu - really different song from our IR..

Really amazing.......

Ranjani scale .....

tvsankar
28th November 2009, 10:01 PM
PUllan kuzhal -

Energetic voice. NIce Beats.IR's flute..
nice no...

chevy
28th November 2009, 10:08 PM
Pani Vizhum, Ilaya Nila - are always in my standard IR playlist!:S

The last IR song I listened to is always either of them :) LOL

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 12:08 AM
Saagar,

Thanks a lot for the songs of 'Apaaratha'. All of them lovely melodies. The Christian song with its jazzy interludes is amazing. The song sounds so 'Malayalamish' if I can use such a word. Very unique lyrics.

ajithfederer
30th November 2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE34s4rLpZg&feature=fvw

Sundari kannal oru seydhi :clap:.

app_engine
30th November 2009, 11:49 AM
Enjoyed two more vintage beauties on the back-home ride for 9+ hours :-)

'idhu oru pon mAlaippozhudhu' of nizhalgaL
(interludes that one can die for)

&

'en kaNmani, un kAdhali' of sittukkuruvi
(basically a fun song with 'karuvAttukkoodai' etc but the melody is evergreen)

Also 'iLamai enum poongAtRu' on repeat for a while :-) If someone looks at the lyric, they'll be surprised how a really sensuous song can be written without Ekkam, dhAgam, vErvai, veppam etc, so smooooth :-) Also without any mukkal, munagal - the tune & music alone can evoke so much of "feelings" :-)

Sureshs65
30th November 2009, 12:21 PM
a_f,

Nice to see you after a long gap.

app_eng,

Nothing like Raja on a long drive. Driving once from Blore to Chennai I still remember 'metti oli katrodu' from the drive. Was in rewind and repeat mode :) Especially love the 'kodhai malar poo padam vaa endradhe' part. Outstanding melody.

Currently hearing songs of 'Chinnabbayi'. Very nice melodies all of them.

raagas
30th November 2009, 03:58 PM
In some of Raja's early songs you can see the influence of R D Burman. I feel this is one such song.

I agree. There are many songs in which i felt he was influenced by RD.One song that comes to my mind is "Kaalapaniyil". The charanams are so much like the style that RD had in 60s, in films like Chote Nawaab,Pati Patni etc.The ending of charanam especially.
Even the song "Manadhil, enna sugam illayo" has a brilliant prelude that sounds very much RD-ish.And one more example is "Naane Naana" sung by Vani Jayaram. The rhythms and the countermelodies in charanams are RD signatures again.

SPB once told that he and IR used to go to a cafe/tea stall in Chennai, to have tea and to listen to RD Burman's music, that used to be played on radio in those times.And some influence, of not RD alone but even Salil Chaudhary and SD Burman, is very visible in some of compositions of IR during 1977 to 1981.

thumburu
2nd December 2009, 02:58 PM
"ILankiLiye innum viLangalaiye" by SPB and Janaki from Kamal's jinxed movie Shankarlal.
This vintage wine is full of joi de vivre with the 2 singing legends cavorting with ease. Prelude opens with majestic trumpets, keyboard flute and violins that leads to the song. The second bgm has jaw dropping accordion passage with trumpet and guitar accompaniment that you can cherish for a life time.RDB/SDB's unmistakable influence was there for sure. Ancient hubbers have got annoyed with cheesy englipees lines in this otherwise great song , like "hello my sweetie don't be so haughty" etc, but I have no such complaints. When u know its SPB mouthing these and Kamal with his exaggerated mannerisms , the fun quotient shoots up

Hulkster
2nd December 2009, 08:12 PM
Kannukkulle songs. Talking about synth, the usage in most of the songs especially Pachaimeni and Vaanampadigal is stunning. Usually synth with its programmed rhythm does not stick to you for quite long but thalaivar's synth has alot of melody woven with it that it sticks to you. Quite unusual if you ask me.

Try listening very closely to the backgrounds and interludes and you will realise this.

Sureshs65
2nd December 2009, 09:03 PM
thumburu,

I haven't heard the song you mention. Given your description, it must be a vintage Raja classic. Will give it a hearing soon.

Hulk,

The problem with Raja's music this year has been that of plenty. While I was trying to listen more carefully to the songs of 'Kannukulle' came 'Pazhassi Raja'. Before I could get a good hang on 'Madhiya Chennai' along came 'Paa'. And now 'Suryakanthi'!! Very similar to the heydays where even hard core fans missed out on many songs only to rediscover them nowadays due to postings of Neel and Usha.

app_engine
2nd December 2009, 09:44 PM
Sureshs65,

Please listen to 'iLangiLiyE', a song any lover of IR-SPB-SJ combo would cherish :-) (This also had the Kamal - Sridevi combo, another sweet one)

Interestingly, this is probably the only movie to come with a IR-GA combo music on the title cards (apparently each did 50% of the film's BGM and were also individually credited with songs, iLangiliyE was IR's while GA had a song that goes like 'kastoori mAn onRu').

iLangiliyE has my most preferred "drums-rhythm-pattern" from the IR shop - sort of among his signature ones:-)

thumburu
4th December 2009, 04:26 PM
My bias towards IR wants me to believe "kasturi maan ondru" also to be IR's work and not GA's :)
Suresh , you try to listen to "iLankiLiye", "kasturi maan ondru" with its freaky, outlandish, unabashed guitar works and an unusually wacky Kamal and SJ duet "paadhi kaLLin mayakkam" from Shankarlal

tvsankar
4th December 2009, 06:10 PM
thumburu,
Paathi kallil mayakam - enna ragam ?

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 12:26 AM
thumburu / app_eng,

Thanks for the reco. Did not get time to check these out. Will surely do it soon.

Listening to 'Edaya baagilu' from Suryakanthi with some concentration now. Amazing orchestration throughout. The keyboards guys are having a blast in the recent works of Raja. They have been pushed to the forefront and are doing a wonderful job. For some reason flute does not figure often though :( 'Mouni Naanu' is also a terrific song with lovely orchestration but the tune is vintage Raja while 'Edaya Bagilu' is very new. I would say that 'Edaya Bagilu' would stand up to the best that Raja has thrown up this year in the duet category.

Overall loving 'Suryakanthi' now. The Hindu reviewer Shiv Kumar does have good taste. Afterall he is a hardcore Raja fan. What else can you expect :D

tvsankar
6th December 2009, 11:33 AM
Suresh,
pazhaiya madhiri kozhappam.....

edha first kaekaradhu nu..

Suryakanti - romba nalla iruku.

Premkahani vittu vara mudiyaialai......

hahahah.a

suryakanti kaetu mudikalai... ipo Om Santhi

idhuuvm romba nalla iruku.

idhuku naduvila , apo apo asai vandhu

kannukullae and madhya chennai jegan mohini kaekaren...

90s Raaja vai ipo kaeta - andha Raajavai ipo dhan puriyaradhu Suresh.

malaiyalm film - Sooriyan - romba nalla iruku.......
hahahaha....

vel
6th December 2009, 11:39 AM
usha, pathi kallil is chalanatai / jog

tvsankar
6th December 2009, 11:48 AM
usha, pathi kallil is chalanatai / jog

Thank you vel....

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 06:50 PM
Very true Usha. I have not yet got a hang of 'Suryakanthi' and in comes 'Om Shanthi'. Hmm. This year has been a musical mess!!

Sureshs65
6th December 2009, 07:03 PM
thumburu / app_eng,

I listened to the 'Shankarlal' song today. Now vaguely remember hearing it earlier. Especially SPB's English :D A very nice song. What a bass support!!

writeface
7th December 2009, 11:51 PM
Listening to "thEvaaram" from Rasathanthiram (Mal).

Sanjeevi
8th December 2009, 12:48 AM
Somehow addicted to Raaja's new songs especially the three version of China Polike of Om Shanthi.

Oru puthu trendE uruvakkiduvar pOla IrukkE :shaking: :victory:

Sureshs65
8th December 2009, 07:50 AM
Gokul: 'thevaram' is a lovely song. I guess the most underrated song of 'Rasathantram'. Excellent rhythm which only Raja can conjure.

Sanjeevi: Same case here. Listening non stop to 'Om Shanthi'. Loving all the songs. As Jai said in another thread, the prelude of 'Chinna Polika' is just amazing.

Sun Music late night yesterday screen two vintage Raja songs. "Annakili Unna Thedudhu" by TMS and "Paneer Pushpangale" from Aval Appadithan. Somehow TMS's rendition was overtly emotional and did not really suit the tune. "Panner Pushpangale" on the other hand was inch perfect. What a song.

app_engine
9th December 2009, 03:59 AM
hichki - -hichki on loop while driving (for the last two days a single song).

Very addictive song! Like I mentioned in another thread, the ending line of the saraNam is extraordinary!

Sureshs65
9th December 2009, 09:04 AM
app_eng,

As soon as I read your lines on 'hichki hichki' the whole song played in my mind immediately. (Something which Plum had told about earlier for a different song.) The whole song is a delight. The singing, the lyrics and the orchestration.

ajithfederer
10th December 2009, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoStJnwVMw0

Enna oru simpilaana zaang. Rajni and Prabu :lol:. Hearing it for the 3rd time tonite.

ajithfederer
10th December 2009, 11:29 AM
KJ's sorrow in voice has been beautifully brought out by Rajni.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KzMXB0EXw&feature=related

Sureshs65
10th December 2009, 02:12 PM
Listening to 'Teenage ile' from the movie 'Devan'. What a song!! Lovely jazz and rock mix. He has been doing this for many years now. Luckily this year there is more recognition!!

Hulkster
10th December 2009, 02:23 PM
Listening to 'Teenage ile' from the movie 'Devan'. What a song!! Lovely jazz and rock mix. He has been doing this for many years now. Luckily this year there is more recognition!!

One thing is for sure, thalaivar loves the saxophone and the guitar alot. I think after reviewing most of his songs, except for some where jazz is actually used, his usage of saxophone is more like a instrument just played along with another whole gang of instruments to enliven the notes the Master has in mind.

Sureshs65
11th December 2009, 12:37 AM
Listening to the album 'Devan'. Haven't heard most of the songs earlier. Listening to 'kanda kanda pasanga' now. You can't fit it into any genre except say it is a unique Raja creation. Hilarious lyrics and tune.