PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

rajkumarc
2nd August 2009, 12:19 AM
Idhayam Pogudhe is from Pudhiya Varpukkal, right? I always thought it was sung by Jency. Didn't knew it was PS.

Another song on the similar lines - Engeyo Etho Pattondru Kaetten from Nadhiyai Thedi Vantha Kadal. A real haunting song sung by PS.

ajithfederer
2nd August 2009, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg7uGjQmkYM&feature=related

25 years before :notworthy:.

app_engine
2nd August 2009, 08:05 AM
Idhayam Pogudhe is from Pudhiya Varpukkal, right? I always thought it was sung by Jency. Didn't knew it was PS.

Another song on the similar lines - Engeyo Etho Pattondru Kaetten from Nadhiyai Thedi Vantha Kadal. A real haunting song sung by PS.

"idhayam pOguthE" is indeed by Jency, not PS :-)

venkkiram
2nd August 2009, 10:31 AM
ஆற்றங்கரை ஒரத்திலே யாருமற்ற நேரத்திலே
வீற்றிருந்த மணற்பரப்பு வேதனையைத் தூண்டுதடி
பூத்திருந்த மலரெடுத்து பூங்குழலில் சூடி வைத்து
பார்த்திருந்த கோலமெல்லாம் பழங்கதையானதடி

ரொம்ப நாளைக்கு அப்புறம் ஒரு மாலைப்பொழுதில் கேட்டபோது மெய்மறக்கச் செய்த பாடல். முக்கியமா வரிகள். "வேதனையைத் தூண்டுதடி" என்ற வரியை பாலு பாடியிருக்கும் அழகை விவரிக்க வார்த்தைகள் இல்லை.

ஒரு நல்ல ராக அமைப்பில் அமைந்த பாடலுக்கு வரிகள் எந்த அளவுக்கு முக்கியத்துவம் என்பதை பசுமரத்தாணி போல உணரவைக்கும் வரிகளைக் கொண்டது. ஒரு காலத்தில் ராஜாவின் இசையில் இப்படிப் பட்ட கற்பனைத்திறன் மிக்க பாடல்வரிகள் அதிகமாக இருந்தது.

பதினைந்து இருபது வருடங்களாக வந்த பிற்காலத்திய பாடல்களில் அத்திப் பூத்தாற்போல, இது போன்ற ஒரு சில அதிசயங்கள் எப்போதோவது நிகழ்வதுண்டு.

tvsankar
2nd August 2009, 11:41 AM
af,
Thanks for Vaa vennila.

One more gem - Kozhaludhum kannanuku.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfOuTx66bJU&feature=related

tvsankar
2nd August 2009, 12:09 PM
Venkiram,
Balu"s rendition - Always Superb....

tvsankar
2nd August 2009, 12:12 PM
Nerd oda post ai partha nyabagam...

Wat happened to his post???

Sureshs65
2nd August 2009, 02:10 PM
raj and app,

Thanks for the correction. For some unknown reason I though 'Idayam Poguthe' was by P Susheela.

raj: Yup. "Engeyo Etho" is lovely and by coincidence was listening to it this morning. Also "Dhagam Edukura Neram'. Uma Ramanan. What a song!!

tvsankar
2nd August 2009, 02:34 PM
Hi Suresh,
How r u?

Dhagam edukara neram - Uma Ramanan's Renditon

bayathoda porupa samatha padara style

I like it. This is the highlight of the song.
i feel like that.

Sureshs65
2nd August 2009, 09:18 PM
Hi Usha,

I am doing fine, thanks. Didn't see your posts for a long time.

Reg Uma Ramanan, I remember a 'Paatu Paadava' program where director Manobala said that whenever he made a film he would ask Raja to give a song to Uma Ramanan. He was saying that if she sang a song, it was bound to be a sure hit!!

tvsankar
3rd August 2009, 12:27 PM
very true words suresh...

All her songs are hit nos...

One more Gem of Uma ramanan

Sevanthi pookalil - wat a song. wat a rendition.

Excellent song in this world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCdkj4jlygA

tvsankar
3rd August 2009, 12:28 PM
suresh,
pandigai masam. so paatu kaeka time iruka
matengaradhu.... hmmmm

Sureshs65
3rd August 2009, 02:47 PM
'Sevanthi Pookalil'. Wow. What a song. Love the 'Koovina Kozhi' in the beginning. Thanks for reminding me of this song.

Hulkster
3rd August 2009, 02:55 PM
Thanikattu Raaja - Naan Thaan Toppu (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/TPplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3559')

The whole album has atleast three songs delving into a massive cocktail of percussion but this one takes the cake. Disco and koothu comes together but the arrangement is of another world.

Hulkster
3rd August 2009, 02:57 PM
'Sevanthi Pookalil'. Wow. What a song. Love the 'Koovina Kozhi' in the beginning. Thanks for reminding me of this song.

:exactly: Thalaivar has let the melody flow undisturbed but what a second interlude with the bass probably hinting at the erotism displayed by the both of them. I still havent even got to 1/10th of thalaivar's songs and there are so many being discovered :shock:

Hulkster
3rd August 2009, 03:56 PM
Mumbai Express (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00377.html)

This album will probably find a place in the top ten albums of thalaivar and probably the best jazz album in IFM. He explores both melody and rock with jazz as its core in this album. This album also holds a strong place in my heart as it was my second thalaivar album after azhagi and it probably made me mad listening to his songs.

Plum
3rd August 2009, 07:28 PM
Sevvanthi PookkaLil - what a song! The ambience created, the mood created...out of the world. "EmberumAn paLLi ezhundharuLAyE"...who said Uma Ramanan is not worthy...

tvsankar
3rd August 2009, 08:15 PM
Suresh and plum,
Thanks for the response to Sevanthi pookalil..

tvsankar
3rd August 2009, 08:24 PM

:exactly: Thalaivar has let the melody flow undisturbed but what a second interlude with the bass probably hinting at the erotism displayed by the both of them. I still havent even got to 1/10th of thalaivar's songs and there are so many being discovered :shock:

Hulk,

indha paatai pathi enna solvae..

Azhagana manja pura - Ellamae en raasathan

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/AllSongs.asp?art=&Page=4&schMovieName=&schSongName=AZHA&schSinger=&schLyrics=All&sMnam=&sSnam=

Beautiful Brindhavana saranga????/

singers - Mano and SJ

Nice rendition.....

tvsankar
3rd August 2009, 08:34 PM
Sevanthi pookalil

chinna sentiment than indha paatu melae.

1989, Hosur la rent kae veedu kedaiakradhu
romba kashtam.

Andha time il, enga marriage ku munnadiyae

my Hubby veedu vangi irundhar.

Own House in value , therindha nilaiyil,

Before my marriage , own house

so

indha seconds varai

engaloda most favourite song in OUR life is
(With happy moments - padam pola sogam ilai)

Sevanthi pookalil - song dhan.

kiru
4th August 2009, 02:28 AM
இதெல்லாம் நீஙக சொல்லத் தேவையில்லை. நீஙக இஙக பாட்டுக்களை விவரிக்கும்/ரசிக்கும் விதமிருந்தே எஙகளுக்கு நல்லாவே உங்க life fun என்று புரியுது.
Moreover how bad can it get for somebody listening to Martin Logan's !! :-)

rajkumarc
4th August 2009, 11:31 AM
Lovely selection Usha. Sevvanthi Pookalil is my favorite in Mella Pesungal.

Looks like this is going to be "Uma Ramanan Week" :)

Another gem of a song sung by Uma Ramanan along with Maestro.

Sevvarali Thottathile from Bagavathipuram Railway Gate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAkF3PLUaeI

tvsankar
4th August 2009, 03:34 PM
kiru and rajkumarc,
Thanks for the responses.
IR songs are meaningful in our life time.......

tvsankar
4th August 2009, 03:35 PM
rajkumar,
Thanks for Sevvarali thotathilae.

Uma Ramaman - konjam dhan paadi irukanga.
But all are GEMS.

tvsankar
4th August 2009, 03:42 PM
This second my song is - kadhal sagadhu

(enga kalam. ipadi than irundhom. Irukom.hahaha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAisvJYeZPg&feature=related

Hulkster
4th August 2009, 05:54 PM
Hulk,

indha paatai pathi enna solvae..

Azhagana manja pura - Ellamae en raasathan

:shock: A beautiful folkish melody. But look at the background beats. If you play them alone they dunt even look made for the song but somehow compliment the tune brilliantly. How does thalaivar manage to conceive so complex percussion rhythms for melodies like this. :think:

Must mention the shenoy as well, remb violin vicky saying how thalaivar used to give tons of arrangements for this instrument. This time it goes hand in hand with the flute. :clap:

tvsankar
4th August 2009, 09:18 PM
Dear Hulkster,
very nice description. THank you CS.

A beautiful folkish melody. But look at the background beats. If you play them alone they dunt even look made for the song but somehow compliment the tune brilliantly. How does thalaivar manage to conceive so complex percussion rhythms for melodies like this.

yeah.Tats IR.

Nerd
5th August 2009, 01:06 AM

Naan recent-A post pannalaiyE.. Tamil films section-la (last song) paathiruppeenga :)

Last song: maaninamE from muLLum malarum. Excellent stress reliever :bow:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00376.html

tvsankar
5th August 2009, 01:02 PM

Naan recent-A post pannalaiyE.. Tamil films section-la (last song) paathiruppeenga :)

Last song: maaninamE from muLLum malarum. Excellent stress reliever :bow:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00376.html

Oh. appadiya. ipadi kozhapindadhu ila idhu varai.
:D

last song thread a irundhu irukalam.

sorry for the disturbance.

Maan inamae - NIce pick. Thanks

Nalla padam. Thangai - kadhalai annavukaga vittu kodukum sytle..
Really nice.

So - indha brother sister hood song - ennoda
favoruite ...

wat about Ramnahae aandalum........ SPB is the king
of this song.......

tvsankar
5th August 2009, 03:15 PM
One more Gem from Uma Ramanan

Enna sugamana Ulagam - Garjanai.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00165.html

thumburu
5th August 2009, 05:48 PM
Uma Ramanan has a chilling mystery shrouded voice which suited intriguing numbers like "Dhagam edukkira neram", "paLLi araikkuL malligaiyai" kind of songs. I ROTFLed at OISG's "sledei" comment in dhool "indha streeyin kural isthree seiyyappatta kural ".

I last listened to 2 back to back Sarasangis by IR 1. "Thaanandhana kummi kotti" 2. "malligaiye malligaiye thoodaga po"
I liked the second one better. When we have competent classical singers like KJY,Chitra, Raja has no other option but to deliver his best

Sureshs65
5th August 2009, 10:10 PM
While the older songs of Raja are no doubt addictive, I am currently addicted to his newer songs. 'Swapnangal Kannezhudiya', 'Yenidu Yenidu' and 'Balegara Balegara'. In the first two songs the usage of strings in fantastic. They add so much melody to the song. They come in at the right time and in the right proportion, as can be expected from Raja. The deliberate asynchronous beat in the charanam of 'Yenidu' adds to its beauty and ensure that it makes the song a unique one. Wonderful melodies.

Sureshs65
6th August 2009, 09:51 AM
thumburu,

Pardon my ignorance of the older Raja songs. Which movies are the Sarasangi songs that you mentioned? And what movie is "Palli Araikul Malligai?"

AravindMano
6th August 2009, 10:17 AM
SwapnangaL kaNNezhudhiya - Bhagyadevatha (Malayalam) - iLaiyaraja - Rahul Nambiar/ Chithra. Lovely, lovely, lovely song!

"Maadaththe thaththammae maadapraave" :musicsmile:

AravindMano
6th August 2009, 10:17 AM
While the older songs of Raja are no doubt addictive, I am currently addicted to his newer songs. 'Swapnangal Kannezhudiya', 'Yenidu Yenidu' and 'Balegara Balegara'. In the first two songs the usage of strings in fantastic. They add so much melody to the song. They come in at the right time and in the right proportion, as can be expected from Raja. The deliberate asynchronous beat in the charanam of 'Yenidu' adds to its beauty and ensure that it makes the song a unique one. Wonderful melodies.

Same pinch!

tvsankar
6th August 2009, 12:31 PM
suresh,
enidhu - Repeated mode la irukara song.

lovely raagam......

Swapnangal - ipo dhan kaekaren.Nice melody.

Thanks for the picks suresh.

tvsankar
6th August 2009, 12:41 PM
Uma Ramanan has a chilling mystery shrouded voice which suited intriguing numbers like "Dhagam edukkira neram", "paLLi araikkuL malligaiyai" kind of songs. I ROTFLed at OISG's "sledei" comment in dhool "indha streeyin kural isthree seiyyappatta kural ".

I last listened to 2 back to back Sarasangis by IR 1. "Thaanandhana kummi kotti" 2. "malligaiye malligaiye thoodaga po"
I liked the second one better. When we have competent classical singers like KJY,Chitra, Raja has no other option but to deliver his best

Thanandhana kkummi kotti - sarasangi ya...... thank you thmburu.

Malligaiyae - Great pick thumburu.
Note the instrumentation's style. Something extrordinary....
ennoda favourite toooooooo.......

app_engine
6th August 2009, 07:04 PM
thumburu,

Pardon my ignorance of the older Raja songs. Which movies are the Sarasangi songs that you mentioned? And what movie is "Palli Araikul Malligai?"

தானந்தன கும்மி கொட்டி - அதிசயபிறவி (Rajinikanth)

பள்ளி அறைக்குள் மல்லிகையை அள்ளி இறைத்தேன் - பால நாகம்மா (Sridevi version). This movie has the lovely 'கூந்தலிலே மேகம்' as well!

Sureshs65
6th August 2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks app_eng. I haven't heard either of them. I have heard 'Koondalile' though. (I guess I will get lynched if I hadn't heard that :)

One more question to thumburu. Have you heard the song, 'Nannavale Nannavale' from the forthcoming Kannada film 'Prem Kahani'. This song has been generally dismissed as a regular Raja song but I found it very interesting. Seems to be based on 'Subhapanthuvarali'. Can you listen to it and let me know if you think it is indeed SPV. Rahul Nambiyar has done a good job in this song. I am impressed with this guy. He was good in "Swapnangal Kanneyzhudiya" as well.

tvsankar
7th August 2009, 12:08 AM
Swapnangal kanneyzhudhiya

2nd interlude style - Kalai paniyil adum
malargal from Gayathiri yai ninaivu
paduthuthae.......

app_engine
7th August 2009, 12:12 AM
Swapnangal kanneyzhudhiya

2nd interlude style - Kalai paniyil adum
malargal from Gayathiri yai ninaivu
paduthuthae.......

The song brings memories of a number of IR specials - the pallavi reminds one of 'kaNmaNiyE pEsu, mounam enna kooRu'. Only the feel - not the tune or orchestration.

The nice part is the surprising insert of 'mAdaththe thaththamma mAdapRAvE'.

Definitely enjoyable number, especially the powerful intro of bass guitar in the mid of saraNam!

ajithfederer
7th August 2009, 02:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn3PPs4aqMo&feature=related

This song is a musical celebration :musicsmile:

ajithfederer
7th August 2009, 03:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBLij04l5w&feature=channel

Adaa daa da...kettukitte irukalam.

Querida
7th August 2009, 05:16 AM
Naan oru Sindhu...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtLvzBoXVMA

"pasu kannrup paal thaedip poaginra vaelai
ammaannu sollavum adhigaaramillai
en vidhi appoadhae mudinjirundhaalae
garbbaththil naanae kalaindhiruppaenae
thalaiyezhuththenna? en modhalezhuththenna? sollungallaen..."

lyrics courtesy of musicindiaonline.com

AravindMano
7th August 2009, 10:35 AM
I feel very ashamed that i underestimated Rangu Rangu when i heard it before a week. The song is a riot. Last night listened to good quality song - Edho ranga raattinam la suththura maadhiri, roller coaster la pora maadhiri, such a joyful ride.

A man in his 60's doing this, is great! :D

Sureshs65
7th August 2009, 02:17 PM
Aravind,

Prem Kahani is an outstanding soundtrack and so is 'Bhagyada Balegara'. Check out 'Nannane Noduvanu' from BB. Wonderful.

Yup. This would be a great song for a composer at any age :) Good for us that Raja gets younger nowadays. 'Hodadavane', 'Batla De', 'Yarivalu Yarivalu', each of these, along with 'Rangu Rangu' and Valmiki songs are creations of a man who is enjoying himself.

thumburu
7th August 2009, 03:48 PM
hi Suresh, you need to also pardon my ignorance borne out of sadly, indifference[though I hate to admit it] to Raja's newbies . Regarding that kannada number, I will try to hear and tell u. But I liked Raja's ventures with a closer scale of SubhapanthuvaraLi in songs like "shiva kara" from KKS, "Vaa veLiye iLam poonkuyile" from "Padu nilave" , "theerthakarai orathile" from some late 80's mohan movie and the magnum opus "ayiram thamarai" in ShubapanthuvaraLi itself. I hope the new one also measures up to these classics.
Last night I heard "sorgathin vaasapadi" from some early 90's film , a simple, sweet melody in the caressing vocals of my favourite pair Dasettan and Chithra

thumburu
7th August 2009, 03:56 PM
hi Suresh, you need to also pardon my ignorance borne out of sadly, indifference[though I hate to admit it] to Raja's newbies . Regarding that kannada number, I will try to hear and tell u. But I liked Raja's ventures with a closer scale of SubhapanthuvaraLi in songs like "shiva kara" from KKS, "Vaa veLiye iLam poonkuyile" from "Padu nilave" , "theerthakarai orathile" from some late 80's mohan movie and the magnum opus "ayiram thamarai" in ShubapanthuvaraLi itself. I hope the new one also measures up to these classics.
Last night I heard "sorgathin vaasapadi" from some early 90's film , a simple, sweet melody in the caressing vocals of my favourite pair Dasettan and Chithra

app_engine
7th August 2009, 08:38 PM
சின்னக்குயில் பாடும் பாட்டுக்கேக்குதா from பூவே பூச்சூடவா on repeat mode this morning!

The song & movie that made TN welcome KSC so happily! (Movie watchers in TN also cheerfully welcomed Fazil & Nadhiya who had successful careers in TF).

Interestingly, when released, this was just an average song by IR standards for me - but kumudam said this is a great melody after so many years - possibly because they were staunch MSV fans and took every opportunity to have a dig at IR. Or may be because of the 60's like feel of the song overall , though packaged with 80's orchestration. It's also possible that they were against the 'mostly-lyric-for-tune' stance of IR. And they probably saw this song as tuned after lyric got written - check the stretching of paaadum / paaattu in the pallavi - and happily embraced it.

Whatever was their reason, that comment didn't go very well with me, cynically asking what extra thing they found in this song that was not in an album like nizhalkaL or payaNangaL mudivadhillai. I feel the same way about that Kumudam comment even now; but I've started to love the song over a period of time, and appreciate it more - as much as my preferred emotional title number (there I maintain KSC version is much superior to KJY version, every song where both sang two versions, my choice is KSC's - may be male preference but then I also like KJY very much -but maintain she scores over him just like that in every single case!).

chinnakkuyil is more of a KSC song than a Raja song, IMO. May be 60's style tune, MSV'ish or KVM'ish. Still, IR catches you - with his unique "emotional-connection-capability", in the saraNam when it reaches the point 'இனி வாசம் வீசும் பூவில் நானும் வாசம் செய்வேனே'! Wow! After the singer streches the last syllable accompanied by Rajaish chorus, it takes on a joy ride with hand claps and typical IRish magical transformation!

Another thing that IR does effortlessly in this song is displaying his capabilty to "seamlessly fusion western and Indian" music in the interludes. Especially the second one, at the end of the koo-koo chorus - where he uses the electric guitar / tabla combo - அப்டி அசால்ட்டா assault பண்ணுறது அவருக்கு மட்டுமே கை வந்த கலை!

Whenever I hear this brief guitar piece, I'm reminded of the appearance of some of the white women here with the bright silk sarees my wife adorned them with!

IR's use of western instruments is akin to indianizing foreigners, in the most acceptable and pleasantly surprising way :-)

Sureshs65
7th August 2009, 09:16 PM
With you app_eng, reg Chitra's version of "Poove Poochoda Vaa". Amazingly touching.

dochu
7th August 2009, 10:36 PM
by chance - came across this...beautiful melody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0l602R6Rg

jaiganes
7th August 2009, 10:55 PM

so reminscient of 'that' song from sippikkuL muththu.

app_engine
7th August 2009, 11:38 PM

This is by Kannur Rajan, the one who composed songs for the biggest ever hit in Malayalam , Chithram. (Ouseppachchan took care of the BGM for Chithram, I think).

wikipedia says he died in 2000 and had done only a few movies. He has to his credit some great songs, though a number of them are IRish...

crvenky
8th August 2009, 10:04 AM
app_engine,
You would be surprised to know that Maestro has sung a title number in Kannur Rajan's music for the movie Paara.

tvsankar
8th August 2009, 03:45 PM
Yarivanu

I like female love songs from IR.

Who is singer??

Very sweet voice.

Simple orchestration. But Great Composition.

Harmony Layer (thanks to kiru for this word.)

" raathiriyae beganae hoogu
continue
yaru henu henthi ..........

nice to hear.

Sureshs65
8th August 2009, 06:12 PM
Usha,

Though the CD mentions the singer as Bela Shinde it sounds more like Sadhana Sargam. A nice song with some nice lyrics. "Before I could close my eyes, he became a resident in my heart". Lovely words.

tvsankar
8th August 2009, 10:30 PM
Suresh,
Sadhana madhiri enaku thonithu. adhan kaeten.

kann moochu viduva munchane
hirudhayavasae ...

am i correct????

Sureshs65
8th August 2009, 11:06 PM
Yes Usha. You are correct. The same words.

crajkumar_be
9th August 2009, 01:40 AM
Neraya paadalgal but these two in particular

"Aasai Nooru Vagai"
"Ennamma Kannu"

I would be shocked and disappointed if these two songs weren't in the all time top 5 songs of their idol for Rajini fans.

Thalaivar and Rajini owe a lot to Ilaiyaraaja

P.S: Malaysia :smokesmirk:

ajithfederer
10th August 2009, 01:16 AM
:exactly:

I would also add Podhuvaaga en manasu thangam from Murattu Kaalai. Incidentally all the three have my ever favorite Malaysia VasuDevan :).

Neraya paadalgal but these two in particular

"Aasai Nooru Vagai"
"Ennamma Kannu"

I would be shocked and disappointed if these two songs weren't in the all time top 5 songs of their idol for Rajini fans.

Thalaivar and Rajini owe a lot to Ilaiyaraaja

P.S: Malaysia :smokesmirk:

Sureshs65
11th August 2009, 12:07 AM
Sun Music is screening some good songs late in the night. Just finished 'Illa Nenje Vaa'. What a song and what orchestration. Following this song is 'Maniye Mani Kuyile' from the Bharathiraja movie. Been a long time since I heard this song.

Sureshs65
11th August 2009, 12:30 AM
The lovely selection at Sun Music continues with 'Avarampoovu', 'Edhedho Ennam Valarthen', 'Poomalaye Tholseravaa', 'Kanmaniye Paesu'. These guys are making it difficult to switch off the TV and go to sleep :(

tvsankar
11th August 2009, 11:55 AM
The lovely selection at Sun Music continues with 'Avarampoovu', 'Edhedho Ennam Valarthen', 'Poomalaye Tholseravaa', 'Kanmaniye Paesu'. These guys are making it difficult to switch off the TV and go to sleep :(

Suresh,
Iravu nerathil - IR tamil songs - tv la parthu
romba naal achu.

Wait panni parthu yemandhu poi iruken.
Nice to hear.

Amaidhiyana iravu nerathil - IR songs -

Head phone la kaetal - thookam vandhudum..

TV il parthal - thookam odi poi vidum. next enna
nu expect panni, song vandhadhum parthu..........

iapdiyae 3 a m aidum. hahhahaha

Nice experince dhan.

kameshratnam
11th August 2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/19184.html

Raikkonen
11th August 2009, 07:59 PM
Vaa Vaa Manjal Malare - :clap:

SP Shailaja :bow:

Sureshs65
11th August 2009, 11:55 PM
Courtesy Sun Music. 'Metti Oli Katrodu'. If I were to vote for my favorite song sung by Illayaraja, this will get my vote. How did this man conjure up this melody? Words fail me when I try to describe this song and the other lovely song from this movie 'Sanga Kavikal' sung by Brahmanandam. No wonder that some people cannot come out of this period !!!

Plum
12th August 2009, 05:21 PM
Metti Oli Katrodu En Nenjai Thalatta. I promised Usha that I will write about it in forumhub once.

This is sheer bliss. One of the songs that just flows from beginning to end and you are in a spell. Not for a microsecond you are allowed to wander. From the beginning humming - which our carnatic experts will target for besur etc(what do they know who only music know?) - to the prelude to the moment IR starts Metti Oli. If there is such a thing as Aural Dictionary, then here's an aural synonym for bliss.

I need to hear again to relive it and write more. But meanwhile a thought to chew on - I never understood the point of the placement of the song in the movie. The lyrics seem to be so way off the picturisation. Is it an intended lovers' duet transitioned into blissful moments of a matriarchal family? Just cant make much sense.

Sanjeevi
12th August 2009, 07:15 PM
Courtesy Sun Music. 'Metti Oli Katrodu'. If I were to vote for my favorite song sung by Illayaraja, this will get my vote. How did this man conjure up this melody? Words fail me when I try to describe this song and the other lovely song from this movie 'Sanga Kavikal' sung by Brahmanandam. No wonder that some people cannot come out of this period !!!

yeah

All the Mahendra + IR combo albums are besto bestu :). Be it is their first movie Mullum Malarum or outstanding Uthiri pookkal or the 'musical' Jhony or this Metti or Kai Kodukkum Kai with outstanding Thazampoovae song, everyone is a gem.

Sureshs65
12th August 2009, 08:33 PM
Plum,

In the song, during the pallavi, after 'mellisaiyin paavaga' he could have joined back the pallavi. That is, if you sing 'Metti Oli Katrodu' after you get to 'mellisayin paavaga', it would still sound very consistent. The added line, (Malayalis call this 'tundu pallavi'), "kodhai malar poompadham vaa endradhe" just doubles the melody quotient. Waiting for your long post :)

Sanjeevi: Very true about Raja and Mahendran. Both seem to have inspired each other to great heights.

jaiganes
12th August 2009, 09:08 PM
Metti Oli Katrodu En Nenjai Thalatta. I promised Usha that I will write about it in forumhub once.

This is sheer bliss. One of the songs that just flows from beginning to end and you are in a spell. Not for a microsecond you are allowed to wander. From the beginning humming - which our carnatic experts will target for besur etc(what do they know who only music know?) - to the prelude to the moment IR starts Metti Oli. If there is such a thing as Aural Dictionary, then here's an aural synonym for bliss.

I need to hear again to relive it and write more. But meanwhile a thought to chew on - I never understood the point of the placement of the song in the movie. The lyrics seem to be so way off the picturisation. Is it an intended lovers' duet transitioned into blissful moments of a matriarchal family? Just cant make much sense.

When husky janaki joins in the interlude to hum - she does it so velvetty - S.Janaki herself is a voice computer - with SPB and her around - there was no need for electronics to modify or 'enhance' sounds... The song goes somewhere on the clouds. The use of santoor(?) and bul bul tara in the main song was also very special.

tvsankar
12th August 2009, 10:19 PM

Plum,
Nyabagam vechindu irukaiya...

indha post - Metti oli paatin comments aga ninaikavilai.

Waiitng for your post to "Metti Oli kaatrodu"

Beautiful preludes.

Sj in humming - na na na na naa - indha humming udan varum
Beach sound - alaiyin oli....

Very nice.........

tvsankar
12th August 2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDyA2_Grjp4&feature=related

Romba naal achu indha paatu kaetu.

Wat a flow.........

thumburu
13th August 2009, 08:57 AM
"Metti oli" ,it is SJ's humming that elevates the song rather than IR's singing. The music that follows SJ's 2nd interlude "thuru thu thu thu .." part , first interlude with violin are just unforgettable. I am just playing them in my m ind . Jog scale?
Suresh, now its my turn for "maniye manikkuyile" . It is "Suddha Desi" ragam which is a janya of Natabhairavi . Despite Mano, the song stands the test of time and Raja would always traverse that extra mile for people like BR, Mahendran, Kamal, MR, Late director Sridhar

joe
13th August 2009, 09:03 AM
ALagar malai bonus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCOzDE3cyrM

Raikkonen
13th August 2009, 09:23 AM
Aanenna Pennenna - :bow:

Plum
13th August 2009, 11:25 AM
Thumburu, When SJ sings "thananam thananam thananam" she mildly enters screeching territory and brings down the song by just that notch. I think silky smooth SPB wouldnt have given the rough, raw edge to the song that IR's voice has brought out.

thumburu
13th August 2009, 03:24 PM
Thumburu, When SJ sings "thananam thananam thananam" she mildly enters screeching territory and brings down the song by just that notch.
Is it? I don't think so. She was in her prime form then.

[quote=Plum]
I think silky smooth SPB wouldnt have given the rough, raw edge to the song that IR's voice has brought out. -
Does the song require that raw Raja's voice? I thought it was a lovelorn lad creating a poetry out of every "asaivu" of his beloved. If SPB were to sing this, we would have got another "oru kunguma chengamalam"

app_engine
13th August 2009, 09:53 PM
பூங்காற்று, புதிதானது (மூ.பி) in repeat mode this morning!

Man, this song is still new - much like the poongAtRu it sings about!

Also, involuntarily it brings the on-screen scenes to the mind - done quite beautifully by the talented BM-KH-SD combo. I've recently read a Vicky article on IR-train combo's and this song is featured there as well. And yes, the second interlude of strings and flute effortlessly tranports one to the rail tracks where KH-SD were attaching their ears to :-)

Ooty-BM-KH-SD-IR, what a combo!

ajithfederer
13th August 2009, 11:50 PM

ALagar malai bonus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCOzDE3cyrM

Sureshs65
15th August 2009, 12:25 AM
Courtesy Sun Music, 'Nalam Vazha Ennalum En Vazhtukal'. Kannadanish lyrics and a free flowing tune wonderfully rendered by Balu. Excellent song to listen to late night. Soothing effect and good sleep :)

tvsankar
15th August 2009, 02:26 AM
Suresh,
Thanks for Nalam Vaazha en,.

Picutrisation is toooooooooooooo good suresh.

anegan
15th August 2009, 09:12 AM
Madha un Koiyilil from Naan Kadavul.
-Anegan

tvsankar
15th August 2009, 12:17 PM
IR songs - edha kaekaradhu.

Thala sutharadhae.....

Today choice

Nannavanu

1. Enidhu
2. mudhalanae
3. Muthutharae

Sureshs65
15th August 2009, 05:13 PM
Yes Usha. Our head does spin :) All three of Raja's current Kannada offerings are in a loop now. Other than the 3 songs mentioned by you, all songs of Prem Kahani and Bagyada Balegara are great. Especially 'Rangu Rangu', 'Shringara Bangara', 'Yarivanu / Yarivalu', 'Kogile Koogu Baa' from Prem Kahani, 'Balegara Balegara', 'Nanne Noduvanu', 'Madhumagalu Cheluve' from Baygada Balegara. How much to listen? Given that we have 'Chal Chale' and 'Jaganmohini' as well!! Added to it, I am yet come out of the melodious grip of 'Bhagya Devatha'.

tvsankar
15th August 2009, 10:50 PM
Yes Usha. Our head does spin :) All three of Raja's current Kannada offerings are in a loop now. Other than the 3 songs mentioned by you, all songs of Prem Kahani and Bagyada Balegara are great. Especially 'Rangu Rangu', 'Shringara Bangara', 'Yarivanu / Yarivalu', 'Kogile Koogu Baa' from Prem Kahani, 'Balegara Balegara', 'Nanne Noduvanu', 'Madhumagalu Cheluve' from Baygada Balegara. How much to listen? Given that we have 'Chal Chale' and 'Jaganmohini' as well!! Added to it, I am yet come out of the melodious grip of 'Bhagya Devatha'.

Suresh,

Adhe Adhae .....

SWapnangal - oru nalaiki 10 time kaekaren.

Yarivanu - oru nalaiki 20 time kakaeren

Yarivalu - ipo dhan kaekaren - so 8 time ayruku.

Yarivalu - Excellent interludes.

who is the singer????

Very charming.......

Synth sound nalae - instruments per solla theiryalai.

Sweet preludes...

kan moochi hondthru kuda
kaarthalae kaarthalae adi yaakooooo

very nice singing.

SPB ku aprama - oru Romantic and Thullal Rendering

from him. NIce Guy....

harmony layer of his song

avaalagaae avalu bandhu
thala gedusi hogavalae
naaneno heli sivanae
kaiguedi handhale
nanna badigae naanu
ikthae ninna thantha(??)
la la la la la lala

indhu avanalae
kaanu dhalae akka pakka

2nd interludes starts with beautiful strings work....

nooraru premaiya
kadhaiya heludhan
area lai
nananavu hasidhi
kadhaiya nodithini naan elli

deva thene theli bandhu
keluvaga
la la la la lala
beda endhu hege naana
helalaga

YaRAvalu

IR oda composition aiRomba nalla purinju,
Harmony ai purinju,

Nalla punch koduthu paadi irukar.

Romantic singer of this year. i feel like that....

tvsankar
15th August 2009, 10:58 PM
indha oru paatukaga - IR ai parthu
vitttu, avar

kaalil vizhanam...

Sureshs65
15th August 2009, 11:43 PM
Usha,

The singer is Sriram Parthasarathy. He has done a great job. Very vigorous and energetic song.

BTW, will that be 'kaanthale kaanthale'?

tvsankar
15th August 2009, 11:59 PM
suresh,
first oru time - kaanthalae..
next 2 time - kaarthalae kaarthalae yaakoo

Sanjeevi
16th August 2009, 09:13 PM
Nil Nil Nil - Paattu Paadava

amazing awesome song :notworthy:

thEn kootil ulla thEn yaavum enai sErnthidatho

at Jaya Max channel -

Sanjeevi
16th August 2009, 09:20 PM
Amazing jeya max

Aracha Santhanam and then now

oru sudan iru sudar (rajavin parvaiyilae, vijay song)

venkkiram
17th August 2009, 10:46 AM
உன் காதலன்.. (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00399.html)

ராக அமைப்பில் எதிரொலிகளையும் அடக்கிய புதுமைதான் இதன் சிறப்பம்சமே.

இப்படி ஒரு பாடல் இருக்கிறது என்பதையே ரசிகர்கள் நீங்கலாக, ராசைய்யாவோ, பவதாரிணியோ, உன்னியோ மற்ற கலையுலகத்தினரோ யாரும் பேசி சிலாகித்ததாக நினைவேயில்லை. என்ன கொடுமை சரவணம் இது!!

குறிப்பாக இரண்டாவது இன்டர்லியூட் ஒரு அழகான கவிதை..

தொலைந்துபோன பாடலாக இதை நினைக்க மனம் இடம் கொடுக்கவே மாட்டேங்குது!!

ராசைய்யா இந்தப் பாடலை இன்னும் சிறப்பாக்கி இல்லையில்லை அப்படியே சுடச்சுட புதிதாக வரும் ஏதாவது ஹிந்திப் படங்களுக்கு பயன்படுத்திக் கொள்ளலாம்.

Sureshs65
17th August 2009, 12:35 PM
venki,

Thanks for pointing to this song. Amazing song, who existence I must confess, I had no clue of :( Lovely arrangements carry forward a lovely tune. Quite a different tune from Raja.

crvenky
17th August 2009, 01:02 PM
Venkkiram, Good selection. There are two other good songs in that movie - Chinna chinna by Raja (Hindustani type) and Chengalpattu (voices used as instruments).

Just to give a backgrounder: This movie (Nanum oru Indian) was sleeping in cans for many years and released with a new name 'Desiva Paravai' in 2007/08. It was touted that Vadivelu acted in 9 characters and producers wanted to cash in on this, following his hit Imsai Arasan. Needless to say movie was a disaster.

rajasaranam
17th August 2009, 01:06 PM
the movie 'Naanum Oru Indian' with Babu Ganesh & Vadivelu in lead was re-titled as 'Desiya Paravai' and was released sometime in 2007. As the case with most of Raaja's movies post 2000 this movie also bombed in BO.

rajasaranam
17th August 2009, 01:07 PM
CRV muntheeteenga :)

rajkumarc
18th August 2009, 10:48 AM
Oru Kaadhal Mayakkam from Pudhumai Penn. A beautiful duet sung by Jeyachandran & Sunandha.
http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00534.html

Any info on the female singer? I think she has sung a few songs for IR after that. Love her voice.

Sureshs65
18th August 2009, 04:32 PM
rajkumar,

'Kadhal Mayakkam'. Amazing song. A lovely 'Suddha Saveri'. Raja has the greatest number of film Suddha Saveri's to his credit. Lot of them have been great hits. 'Koyilmani Osai', 'Radha Radha Nee Enge', 'Kodamanjin', 'Ramudu Anukoledu' and many more. This songs easily ranks in the top league of Suddha Saveris.

app_engine
18th August 2009, 06:41 PM
வெள்ளி நிலாவினிலே, தமிழ் வீணை வந்தது
(ஜெயச்சந்திரன், சொன்னது நீ தானா)

When I picked this saregama CD "oru vAna vil pOlE" (possibly my sister's), I was surprised to see this song listed with IR as MD. Unfortunately, the CD cover says "வெள்ளி நிலவினிலே" and it didn't ring a bell in me, and the movie title is oblivious as well.

It turned out to be one of my radio days' favourites, what a lovely song! Very young PJ and sweet IR, with his signature bass + chords + tabla accompaniment (1977 number).

Interestingly, he used the same technique as "swapnangaL kaNNezhudhiya" in the saraNam w.r.t use of bass guitar :-) Abstain from it for a couple of lines - just tabla / flute and then powerfully bring it in, to create that extra emotional effect.

The way the saraNam ends - வா ராஜா - sweeeeeet!

Definitely a great find for this morning!

(p.s. most songs in this CD are of atrocious sound quality :-( I don't know where from they got them, I'm sure the mp3's on the web are of much better quality for songs like 'mAnjOlaikkiLi dhAnO', ' oru vAna vil pOlE' etc. The song 'poondhendRalE' has an extra prelude that I've never heard on radio and the second interlude too has extra stuff compared to the radio version)

Sureshs65
18th August 2009, 06:56 PM
a_e,

I heard a 70s Kannada song on TV which has shades of this song (velli nilavinile). Unfortunately I don't remember the lines of the Kannada song. I was curious to find if GKV was the MD for that song. A vague possibility that IR could have been inspired by this song or could have conceived the song when he was with GKV. (Only the starting of the pallavi resembles this song. Later the Kannada song takes a different turn)

app_engine
18th August 2009, 07:33 PM
I was curious to find if GKV was the MD for that song. A vague possibility that IR could have been inspired by this song or could have conceived the song when he was with GKV.

Yes, I remember a GKV Thamizh song with a similar tune for starting line -

"அழகிய செந்நிற வானம், அதிலே உன் முகம் கண்டேன்"

(don't remember the name of the movie now, possibly PJ here too). Quite possible that it was during the period when IR worked as assistant to GKV in Kannada.

tvsankar
18th August 2009, 08:56 PM
app,
Thanks for Velli Nilavinilae.

IR songs - Vaazhkaiyin ovvoru situation kum
kudave varum.

Thavirka mudiyadha paadalgal.

Velli nilavinlae - Lyrics so nice.

ADikum podhu mirugamadna
anaikum podhu manidhanada...

Unaka ennidam kobam
adhu yen yen vandhadhu........

En son - chinna vayasil - Ragalai
samalika muidyamal - aditha udan

Manadhil varum padal idhu dhan.

Idharku piragu - konjam maadhangaluku
periya Ragalaiyae seidhalum - no adi to him...

Thanks app for the pick... Very nice orchestration....

pethalum pethenada - Anbae SAngeetha
idhuvum Jayachandran paadinadhu dhan.
most favourite no to me,

Ennudaiya paiyanala..

Cricket velaiyadi, yar veetu jannal
kadai yil edhavadhu udaindhu,
vambu varum podhellam

indha paatin varigal dhan ninaivil varum

pethalum pethaenada
oru pokkiri paiyana than
rendu kaiya vachan
kaala vechan
oru vaala matum vittu vechan....

cricket aadi puttu
kittu paiyan manda odachae
ooru sanda dhan
onna renda

very nice song. Excellent Lyrics.....Tats IR...

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/allsongs.asp?txtselected=&schSinger=&schMovieName=&schSongName=petha&schLyrics=All&sbt=Search

rajkumarc
18th August 2009, 11:30 PM
rajkumar,

'Kadhal Mayakkam'. Amazing song. A lovely 'Suddha Saveri'. Raja has the greatest number of film Suddha Saveri's to his credit. Lot of them have been great hits. 'Koyilmani Osai', 'Radha Radha Nee Enge', 'Kodamanjin', 'Ramudu Anukoledu' and many more. This songs easily ranks in the top league of Suddha Saveris.

Thanks Suresh for the raaga info. Radha Radha Nee Enge - I'm crazy about this song. It has a dreamy, otherworldly feel about it that I cannot describe well. I don't know whether it's the rendition by SPB & SJ or the recording.

app_engine
19th August 2009, 12:30 AM
app,
Thanks for Velli Nilavinilae.

IR songs - Vaazhkaiyin ovvoru situation kum
kudave varum.

Thavirka mudiyadha paadalgal.

சரியாகச்சொன்னீர்கள் :-)

70'கள் மற்றும் 80'களில் வளர்ந்தவர்களுக்கு பல சூழ்நிலைகளிலும் ராசா பாட்டு "பின்னணி இசை" ஆகி விடுவது தவிர்க்க முடியாதது.

வேடிக்கை என்னவென்றால், அந்தக்கால கட்டத்தில் வளர்ந்து வந்து தற்போது சினிமா எடுப்போர் தமது படங்களிலும் சூழ்நிலைக்குப்பொருத்தமான விதத்தில் அவரது பாட்டை ஒலிக்கச்செய்வது தான் :-)

Sureshs65
19th August 2009, 09:21 AM
It took quite some effort to tear myself away and go to sleep yesterday as Sun music aired some lovely songs. Starting with 'Ninavaivo Oru Paravai', following it up with 'En Iniya Ponnilave' and 'Poonkatru' from Mundram Pirai. Only a few days back app_eng had eloquently written about this song. It was nice to hear Kamal's young voice in 'Ninaivo oru paravai'.

AravindMano
19th August 2009, 10:20 AM
[tscii:b041785faf]I wrote this for one of my posts. I am not whether this is right thread to share it. Anyways :)

ஒரு பாடலின் துவக்க இசையின் பரிமாணத்தை முற்றிலுமாக மாற்றியவர் இளையராஜா. ஒரு சிறுகதையை துவக்கும் போது சில வர்ணணைகளுடன் துவங்குவது போல, ஒரு பாடலின் துவக்கத்தை அவர் அமைக்கத் துவங்கினார். ‘பூங்கதவே தாழ் திறவாய்’ பாடலின் துவக்க இசையும் ‘ஏதோ மோகம்’ பாடலின் துவக்க இசையும், எத்தனை முறை கேட்டாலும் அலுக்காத ஒரு ஆச்சர்யம். ‘ஏதேதோ எண்ணம் வளர்த்தேன்’ பாடலின் துவக்க இசைக்கு தண்ணீரில் கலையும் பிம்பத்தை யோசித்தார்களா, இல்லை முதலில் காட்சியை யோசித்து விட்டு இசையமைக்கப் பட்டதா தெரியவில்லை. ‘கண்மணியே காதல் என்பது கற்பனையோ’ பாடலை ராஜா பன்னீர் தூவி துவக்கி வைப்பது போன்று இருக்கும். (கல்யாணக் கனவைப் பற்றிய பாடல் என்பது என் யூகம். இடையில் நாதஸ்வர இசை வரும்). மிகப்பெரிய அறையின் கதவை திறந்ததும் மெதுவாக தென்றல் உள்ளே வருவது போன்ற துவக்க இசை ‘பூவே செம்பூவே உன் வாசம்’ பாட்டுக்கு உண்டு. ‘ஓ பட்டர்ஃப்ளை பட்டர்ஃப்ளை’ பாட்டின் துவக்கத்தில் பட்டாம்பூச்சிகள் பறக்கும்! ‘யெஸ், ஐ லவ் திஸ் இடியட், ஐ லவ் திஸ் லவ்வபிள் இடியட்’ என்று பாடல் துவங்கும் போது, மூச்சை இழுத்துப் பிடித்துக்கொண்டு தயாராக இருந்து பின் வரும் இசையோடு அப்படியே விழலாம்! ‘இசையில் தொடங்குதம்மா’ பாட்டில் தொடங்குதம்மா இசையின் அழகு! (என்னா பாட்டு!). ‘சின்னத்தாய் அவள்’ பாட்டின் துவக்க ரயிலோசை நீங்கள் அறிந்ததே. ‘பொத்தி வெச்ச மல்லிக மொட்டு’ பாட்டின் துவக்க இசையும் இரண்டாவது இடையசையும் அவர் செய்த இசை வேலைப்பாடுகளில் சிறந்தவைகளுள் ஒன்று. ‘தேவனின் கோயில் மூடிய நேரம்’ பாட்டில் ராஜாவே உச்சரிக்கும் மந்திரம் போன்ற வார்த்தைகள் அபாரமான துவக்கம். அலைகள் ஓய்வதில்லை படத்தின் ‘புத்தம் புது காலை’ பாட்டின் துவக்க இசை மட்டுமில்லாமல் பாட்டு முழுக்க வருகிற ஒவ்வொரு ஒலியும் வைகறையுடன் தொடர்புடைய ஏதோ ஒரு விஷயத்தை நினைவூட்டுமாறு இசையமைத்தது சாதாரண விஷயமல்ல! எல்லாவற்றையும் தாண்டி ‘பூங்காற்று புதிதானது’ பாடலின் துவக்க கிட்டாருக்கும் பாட்டுக்கும் என் உயிரையும் தருவேன்! ராஜாவின் துவக்க இசைப் பற்றிய பேச்சுக்கு, துவக்கம் மட்டுமே உண்டு. முடிவு இல்லை![/tscii:b041785faf]

Sureshs65
19th August 2009, 12:03 PM
Arvind,

Lovely post. Same blood :) reg all the songs you have mentioned. Especially the 'Poonkatru' song.

crajkumar_be
19th August 2009, 03:22 PM
[tscii:9d75ac9ffc]I wrote this for one of my posts. I am not whether this is right thread to share it. Anyways :)

ஒரு பாடலின் துவக்க இசையின் பரிமாணத்தை முற்றிலுமாக மாற்றியவர் இளையராஜா. ஒரு சிறுகதையை துவக்கும் போது சில வர்ணணைகளுடன் துவங்குவது போல, ஒரு பாடலின் துவக்கத்தை அவர் அமைக்கத் துவங்கினார். ‘பூங்கதவே தாழ் திறவாய்’ பாடலின் துவக்க இசையும் ‘ஏதோ மோகம்’ பாடலின் துவக்க இசையும், எத்தனை முறை கேட்டாலும் அலுக்காத ஒரு ஆச்சர்யம். ‘ஏதேதோ எண்ணம் வளர்த்தேன்’ பாடலின் துவக்க இசைக்கு தண்ணீரில் கலையும் பிம்பத்தை யோசித்தார்களா, இல்லை முதலில் காட்சியை யோசித்து விட்டு இசையமைக்கப் பட்டதா தெரியவில்லை. ‘கண்மணியே காதல் என்பது கற்பனையோ’ பாடலை ராஜா பன்னீர் தூவி துவக்கி வைப்பது போன்று இருக்கும். (கல்யாணக் கனவைப் பற்றிய பாடல் என்பது என் யூகம். இடையில் நாதஸ்வர இசை வரும்). மிகப்பெரிய அறையின் கதவை திறந்ததும் மெதுவாக தென்றல் உள்ளே வருவது போன்ற துவக்க இசை ‘பூவே செம்பூவே உன் வாசம்’ பாட்டுக்கு உண்டு. ‘ஓ பட்டர்ஃப்ளை பட்டர்ஃப்ளை’ பாட்டின் துவக்கத்தில் பட்டாம்பூச்சிகள் பறக்கும்! ‘யெஸ், ஐ லவ் திஸ் இடியட், ஐ லவ் திஸ் லவ்வபிள் இடியட்’ என்று பாடல் துவங்கும் போது, மூச்சை இழுத்துப் பிடித்துக்கொண்டு தயாராக இருந்து பின் வரும் இசையோடு அப்படியே விழலாம்! ‘இசையில் தொடங்குதம்மா’ பாட்டில் தொடங்குதம்மா இசையின் அழகு! (என்னா பாட்டு!). ‘சின்னத்தாய் அவள்’ பாட்டின் துவக்க ரயிலோசை நீங்கள் அறிந்ததே. ‘பொத்தி வெச்ச மல்லிக மொட்டு’ பாட்டின் துவக்க இசையும் இரண்டாவது இடையசையும் அவர் செய்த இசை வேலைப்பாடுகளில் சிறந்தவைகளுள் ஒன்று. ‘தேவனின் கோயில் மூடிய நேரம்’ பாட்டில் ராஜாவே உச்சரிக்கும் மந்திரம் போன்ற வார்த்தைகள் அபாரமான துவக்கம். அலைகள் ஓய்வதில்லை படத்தின் ‘புத்தம் புது காலை’ பாட்டின் துவக்க இசை மட்டுமில்லாமல் பாட்டு முழுக்க வருகிற ஒவ்வொரு ஒலியும் வைகறையுடன் தொடர்புடைய ஏதோ ஒரு விஷயத்தை நினைவூட்டுமாறு இசையமைத்தது சாதாரண விஷயமல்ல! எல்லாவற்றையும் தாண்டி ‘பூங்காற்று புதிதானது’ பாடலின் துவக்க கிட்டாருக்கும் பாட்டுக்கும் என் உயிரையும் தருவேன்! ராஜாவின் துவக்க இசைப் பற்றிய பேச்சுக்கு, துவக்கம் மட்டுமே உண்டு. முடிவு இல்லை![/tscii:9d75ac9ffc]

Fantastic post!

app_engine
19th August 2009, 06:06 PM
ArvindMano,

Nice post!

இங்கு நிறைய எழுதுங்கள் :-)

On the topic -

The PJ CD (oru vAnavil pOlE) is still on, despite the sound quality of saregamA. Only 50% of the songs are of IR (almost all songs before 1981 - there's no 'rAsAththi onna' and such popular ones), and the remaining songs show why IR threw out everyone effortlessly in the late 70's :-) However objective I try to listen to, the others' songs are simply insufferable!

This morning's delight is ஊதக்காத்து வீசயிலே, குயிலு கூவயிலே, கொஞ்சிடும் ஆசயிலே, குருவிங்க பேசயிலே, வாட தான் என்ன ஆட்டுது, வாட்டுது (கிராமத்து அத்தியாயம்)!

Though the CD features PJ, this song is an out and out SJ number with PJ only singing the pallavi in the beginning and then just one line in each saraNam (3 saraNam special). And the way in which PJ sings ஊதக்காத்து is different from SJ (different notes themselves) and each one is interesting!

This song is quite sexy, though without mukkal munagals :wink:

tvsankar
19th August 2009, 06:27 PM
app,
Neenga kaeta collections la

VAnam engae - iruka......

app_engine
19th August 2009, 07:35 PM
app,
Neenga kaeta collections la

VAnam engae - iruka......

I don't think this song is in the CD.

The IR songs in the CD are :

-manjal nilAvukku indRu orE sugam (mudhal iravu)
-sevvAnamE, pon mEghamE (nalladhoru kudumbam)
-poondhendralE nalla nEram (bhuvana oru?)
-oru vAnavil pOlE (kAtRinilE varum geetham)
-mAnjOlaikkiLi dhAnO (KPR)
-chithirachchevvAnam (KVG)
-oodhakkAththu veesayilE (grAmaththu aththiyAyam)
-veLLi nilAvinilE Thamizh veeNai vandhadhu (sonnadhu nee dhAnA)

Out of the other eight, the only one that I can "partly" listen to is kavidhai arangERum nEram (woh sAth dhin), even this I feel is too long :-( but SJ saves it...

Sureshs65
19th August 2009, 11:27 PM
Was just listening to the song 'Thulli Ezhundadu Paatu' on TV. I haven't heard this song earlier!! Which movie is this from? The song featured Murali and Nalini.

app_engine
19th August 2009, 11:32 PM
'thuLLi ezhundhadhu pAttu' is from Geethanjali (Thamizh) which was an IR family production (pAvalar creations / I think director was Gangai Amaran).

I know the hero was MuraLi don't remember the heroine.

All the songs are gems from this movie (oru jeevan azhaiththadhu, malarE pEsu mounamozhi...)

Sureshs65
19th August 2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks a_e. I have heard 'oru jeevan..' song but not this. Excellent song.

app_engine
19th August 2009, 11:42 PM
You're welcome Suresh!

BTW, I stumbled upon "தேஹம் சிறகடிக்கும் ஹோய்" that you've asked about sometime back - it's from the film 'nAnE rAjA, nAnE mandhiri' (KSC / PJ).

That movie had another stunner - மயங்கினேன் சொல்லத்தயங்கினேன்...

Also, this link has most of IR's Thamizh songs streamed:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/mdalbums.asp?art=&schCategory=MD00001

Alphabetically arranged as well :-)

Sureshs65
19th August 2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks a_e. And thanks to Usha I know about thiraipaadal. Was feeling a bit lazy to check it out there or at rakkamma.com I guess :) No harm asking once in a while. You get some more info about the movie:D

Sureshs65
20th August 2009, 12:08 AM
Sun Music just now screened 'Poove Illaya Poove'. What orchestration!! Superb bass guitar and very innovative rhythm. It changes from drum beat accompanied by a mridangam to just mridangam accompaniment in the charanam and back to the original rhythm seamlessly. Master of innovation!!

app_engine
20th August 2009, 01:39 AM
Sun Music just now screened 'Poove Illaya Poove'. What orchestration!! Superb bass guitar and very innovative rhythm. It changes from drum beat accompanied by a mridangam to just mridangam accompaniment in the charanam and back to the original rhythm seamlessly. Master of innovation!!

Another 'pAvalar creations' movie, kOzhi koovuthu (which has one of IR's best ever 'EdhO mOham').

A trivia about this song - the disk has 'madi meedhu thEngum thEnE' which I think was modified as 'malar meedhu thEngum thEnE' upon "censor objection" those days :-)

app_engine
20th August 2009, 06:27 PM
What a coincidence! As I continue my journey with PJ CD, this morning was 'oru vAna vil pOlE' on repeat and that too has the 'madi+thEn' combo:-) There is a line that goes like " மடி கொண்ட தேனை மனங்கொள்ள வருகின்ற முல்லை இங்கே" - lyric Panju A.

This song from kAtRinilE varum geetham is a stunner with sweet guitar interludes, SJ in great form and PJ delivering one of his best performances.

Both the bass score & "first-of-its-kind" rhythm arrangement makes the pallavi very delightful. Add to it SJ's "ம்ஹூம், ம்ஹூம், ஆஹ, ஆஹ" towards the end of the song, what an experience!

This song transports me back to school days, Virudhunagar summer vacations, IOKS...I can still hear in my mind what we recorded from IOKS radio into the burma bazaar panasonic cassette player, that recording was much better than this CD :-)

thumburu
20th August 2009, 06:30 PM
I unearthed "VeLLi nilavinile", one of Jeyachandran's best renditions , after decades , when it was hosted as the "Song Of the Day" in the then most popular SOTD thread. This song used to be my mom's most favourite song during the late 70's .
My last song is "aathu mettile" , also from "Gramathu Adhyayam" , the most hyped but bombed movie that sealed the fate of the next Mahendran prospect Rudhriaih after his brilliant "AvaL appadithaan" .hm... looks there there was no second chance then. Cruel industry!!!
About the song - Lovely, funky guitar, innovative and catchy beats, SJ's delightfully joyous "hey hey enna aasai" , the whole song is such a riot. I miss this Raja today , very bad that he is oblivious of the hunger pain his loyal fans have

Sureshs65
20th August 2009, 07:06 PM
'Oru Vaana Vil Pole', aah, what a song!!! Manobala in one TV program said that whenever Raja used PJ or Uma Ramanan the song was bound to be a hit. I still remember this song and 'Chittira Chevvanam' being the songs which converted me to Raja!! Somehow PJ has not sung too many songs for Raja but whatever he has sung has been top class. Along with these classics I cannot help but bring up 'Manjulum Raatri' from 'Oru Yatra Mozhi' here as it will also rank among the very best of PJ.

Sureshs65
20th August 2009, 07:07 PM
thumburu,

I saw the same funky fun in 'Jaganmohini'. I am not sure if you will like it though but give it a try. No harm trying the music. The movie's case may be different :)

Sureshs65
20th August 2009, 11:48 PM
Sun Music on a roll. 'Vaa Vaa Anbe Anbe', 'Mazhai Varudhu Mazhai Varudu', 'Kaadha Vaibogame', 'Vizhiyile Mai Vizhiyile', 'O Mane Mane Unnai thane'. Bliss!!

dochu
21st August 2009, 12:19 AM
Oru vaaanavil pole....
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00239.html

Soul piercing song!!

tvsankar
21st August 2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks for Oru vaanavil pole ,

In IR's compositions, nowadays am mad for

Flute pieces................

have Great Punctuations...

ajithfederer
21st August 2009, 03:32 AM
Gitanjali - Jagada jagada

The preludes and the initial humming - Raasappu :2thumbsup:

Sureshs65
21st August 2009, 09:23 AM
af,

When it was release this song was probably not the most famous in Geetanjali. Compared to the other 'serious' songs in the movie, this was a fun song. 'Amani Paadave', 'O Priya Priya' and 'O Papa Laali' were played more often. Lot of people liked 'Om Namaha' for the drumming which sounded like a heartbeat and the lyrics of Veturi. Even for me, it took some time before I listened to this song carefully to see how Raja has sculpted it.

'Geetanjali' was an outstanding musical album and I can confidently say that Illayaraja played a big part in the initial career of Nagarjuna, having provided music for two of his biggest hits, 'Geetanjali' and 'Shiva'.

Raikkonen
21st August 2009, 10:25 AM
Ithayakovil songs on loop.. :bow: :bow:

one of the best albums in TF history.. stunning songs..

kid-glove
21st August 2009, 10:52 AM
Ithayakovil songs on loop.. :bow: :bow:

one of the best albums in TF history.. stunning songs..

IR the singer :notworthy:

thumburu
21st August 2009, 05:34 PM
"nikkattuma pogattumaa" - how atrocious can an opening line get!!! Raja's penchant for "colloquial" conundrum , Mano notwithstanding, this song ,set to a seldom used carnatic scale is such a classic!!! You cannot but rave about Raja's creativity in the opening flute bits, the free flowing interludes using violins "mazhai", when Chitra sings "odaiyil naan amardhen" , the beats with clap sound interspersed with innovative tabla. When Raja gave, it poured those days

jaiganes
21st August 2009, 08:06 PM
Jagan mohini - pon mani thaeril - the song is very very interesting....

ajithfederer
21st August 2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks Suresh for the info :).

Actually I remember they danced for the so called Pei-song in this movie.

af,

When it was release this song was probably not the most famous in Geetanjali. Compared to the other 'serious' songs in the movie, this was a fun song. 'Amani Paadave', 'O Priya Priya' and 'O Papa Laali' were played more often. Lot of people liked 'Om Namaha' for the drumming which sounded like a heartbeat and the lyrics of Veturi. Even for me, it took some time before I listened to this song carefully to see how Raja has sculpted it.

'Geetanjali' was an outstanding musical album and I can confidently say that Illayaraja played a big part in the initial career of Nagarjuna, having provided music for two of his biggest hits, 'Geetanjali' and 'Shiva'.

P_R
21st August 2009, 10:44 PM
thenRal vandhu theeNdumbOdhu

One of the greatest songs of all time

Sureshs65
22nd August 2009, 12:16 AM
Sun Music was on a roll for some time before they started screening thrash. Here is what they screened:
- Oomai Nenjin (Manidanin Marupakkam)
- Ellorum Sollum Paatu
- Erikarai Poonkatre
- va va vasanthame
- en iniya pon nilaave

Kanna kattude :)

Sureshs65
22nd August 2009, 12:18 AM
PR,

The more I listen to Avatharam, the more I get convinced that this belongs to the very top league of films that Raja did. What a variety he has given. You can clearly make out that there is a difference between a folk song and a terukuthu song. His voice matches Nazar's voice to a T.

app_engine
22nd August 2009, 12:43 AM
'thendRal vandhu theeNdum pOdhu'

This was quite a late find for me (i.e. I think I found the song seeing the youtube of IR singing on the JayaTV prog). Then I compared that with the movie video on youtube.

IR & SJ - wow! One of the best songs ever in IR's voice and competes with nAn thEdum for this combo's top spot!

Like Suresh said IR's voice is a 100% match to the on-screen stuff.

I think I've posted earlier that I'm reminded of 'endhan kaNNil EzhulagangaL' every time I hear this song - there must be something common between these two. Even IR's singing shows some 'unmaththam' much like the Guru song. (வீட்டுல கெஸ்ட்டெல்லாம் இருக்காங்க, இல்லாட்டி இன்னிக்கு நைட் இதை "வித் பார்லி வெள்ளம்" பாடிப்பாத்திருக்கலாம்) :-)

crajkumar_be
22nd August 2009, 12:58 AM
PR,

The more I listen to Avatharam, the more I get convinced that this belongs to the very top league of films that Raja did. What a variety he has given. You can clearly make out that there is a difference between a folk song and a terukuthu song. His voice matches Nazar's voice to a T.
Yes, Avathaaram is definitely one of the best ever albums of IR and to me, without doubt, "Thendral Vandhu" is the best ever song of all time (i never tire of saying this, so excuse if i'm repeating myself ad nauseum) .
Also, this is one of the most beautifully picturized songs. Stunning.
Yeah, IR's voice is a 100% fit for Nasser and not only that - IR's singing in this album is the definition of playback singing

jaiganes
22nd August 2009, 01:09 AM
PR,

Yes, Avathaaram is definitely one of the best ever albums of IR and to me, without doubt, "Thendral Vandhu" is the best ever song of all time (i never tire of saying this, so excuse if i'm repeating myself ad nauseum) .
Also, this is one of the most beautifully picturized songs. Stunning.
Yeah, IR's voice is a 100% fit for Nasser and not only that - IR's singing in this album is the definition of playback singing

Dont get me started on Avathaaram - niruthave mudiyaadhu.

crajkumar_be
22nd August 2009, 01:20 AM
Dont get me started on Avathaaram - niruthave mudiyaadhu.
Please do.. not enough has been written on this album i say!

crajkumar_be
22nd August 2009, 01:26 AM
(i.e. I think I found the song seeing the youtube of IR singing on the JayaTV prog)
Did you check out Raasaappu doing "Maasatra Sodhi" in that concert? (Neyar Viruppam and 'Naan Thedum' got an encore)

rajasaranam
22nd August 2009, 09:32 AM
thenRal vandhu theeNdumbOdhu

One of the greatest songs of all time

How do you explain colors to anyone?!! (Not only to the visually challenged) Please play this song.

venkkiram
22nd August 2009, 09:33 AM
Yeah, IR's voice is a 100% fit for Nasser

நூறு சதவீத உண்மையான கருத்து. இதுபோல நிறைய பாடல் சொல்லலாம். பாலைவன ரோஜாக்கள் - காதல் என்பது பொது உடமை பாடலும் ஜனகராஜ் பாடும் போது முழுமையாக ஒத்துப்போனது. ஆனால் இப்படி ஒரு குறிப்பிட்ட நடிகர்களுக்கு மட்டுமே தனது குரலை பொருத்தாமல், வேலி தாண்டும் போதுதான் உறுத்துகிறது.

உதாரணத்திற்கு,

கிழக்கு வாசல்..

பச்ச மல பூவு, பாடி பறந்த கிளி என பாலுவை கார்த்திக்கின் பாத்திரத்திற்கு பொருத்தி அழகு பார்த்த ராசைய்யா, வீட்டுக்கு வீடு வாசப்படி வேணும் எனப் பாடும்போது பொருத்தமாக தோன்றவில்லையே! எனக்கென்னமோ, கார்த்திக் விஷயத்தில் ராஜா ஆர்வக்கோளாறுடன் கொஞ்சம் அதிக்கப்படியுடன் நடந்துகொண்டதாகவே தோன்றுகிறது.

P_R
22nd August 2009, 10:26 AM
I was absolutely convinced back then that it was Nasser singing. I got into arguments with those who disagreed. Finally reached a compromise with my classmates that Sandhiraram sooriyarum was sung by Nasser and the rest by IR. :lol2:

kiru
22nd August 2009, 01:17 PM
வெங்கிராம், உங்களுக்கு எதிர்கட்சி தலைவர் பதவியை கொடுத்து கௌரவிக்கிறேன். அவையோருக்கு சம்மதம் தானே ? :-(

Sureshs65
23rd August 2009, 12:24 AM
kiru,

I second the nomination :)

thumburu
25th August 2009, 02:21 PM
I remember many people voting for "thendral vandhu theendumbodhu" as the song of the millennium and also a detailed walk-through of the song by the veteran ex-hubber MS in the SOTD thread. [Pls dig the archives if you wanna know]
Venkikram, I share your concern about Raja singing classical songs like "dharisanam kidaikkaadha" which require a good amount of vocal training and articulation which is against Raja's raw , coarse type of singing. Listen to how embarrassingly bad he sounds in the classic keeravani number "agaaya thaamarai tharaiyil vandhadho" , esp when Janaki just breezes past so effortlessly. Having said these, I just love his voice in rustic songs like "soLam vedhakkayile" or "amman kovil kizhakkaale" , "nila adhu vanathu mela" etc.

thumburu
25th August 2009, 02:26 PM
BTW, kiru you know that Iam neither from the opposition nor JaswantSingh LOL!!!

Sureshs65
25th August 2009, 09:54 PM
thumburu,

There is no excitement is there is no Jaswant Singh :) Differing opinions always are good especially if we can debate on it civilly. We always end up learning something. As to what BJP learnt from Jaswant Singh episode is a different question though :)

Querida
27th August 2009, 10:15 AM
My Ever-Favourite Song:

Ithazil Kathai Yelluthum....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piFblWPXn0Y

Love this song...can hear it non-stop...:musicsmile:
have been humming it all day and am listening to it now...:notworthy: for this alone I am a diehard fan of the Maestro.

P_R
27th August 2009, 11:48 AM
Pulamaipithan (or PiRaisoodan ?) did an neat job too
Never an easy task writing lyrics for a song with a lot of short-note sequences

காலம் வரும் வரை பொறுத்திருந்தால்
கன்னி இவள் மலர்க் கரம் தழுவிடுமே
காலம் என்றைக்கு கனிந்திடுமோ
காளை மனம் அது வரை பொறுத்திடுமோ

Cliched content but lyricized really well

And then...nice content too:

நாளும் நிலவது தேயுது மறையுது
நங்கை முகமென யாரதைச் சொன்னது

Sarna
27th August 2009, 12:09 PM
PR, which song..which movie ?

Querida
27th August 2009, 12:11 PM

song is "Ithazil Kathai Yelluthum Neram Ithu" movie is "Unnal Mudiyum Thambi"

Sarna
27th August 2009, 12:18 PM

song is "Ithazil Kathai Yelluthum Neram Ithu" movie is "Unnal Mudiyum Thambi"

:ty: hasini

நாளும் நிலவது தேயுது மறையுது
நங்கை முகமென யாரதைச் சொன்னது

beautiful lines :clap: :clap:

P_R
27th August 2009, 12:21 PM
:ty: hasini :?

Sarna
27th August 2009, 12:37 PM
:ty: hasini :?

i call Querida as hasini :)

Sureshs65
27th August 2009, 04:39 PM
'Ithazil Kadai Ezhudum' is a great song based on Raga Lalitha. I like the Telugu version 'Lalitha Priya Kamalam Virisinadhi' better because the lyrics in Telugu are top class. Lyrics by Sitarama Sastry. I hate to use this word after having heard this from everyone on TV and Radio but the word which described Sitarama Sastry's lyrics for this song is 'mind-blowing'.

Querida
28th August 2009, 03:27 AM
'Ithazil Kadai Ezhudum' is a great song based on Raga Lalitha. I like the Telugu version 'Lalitha Priya Kamalam Virisinadhi' better because the lyrics in Telugu are top class. Lyrics by Sitarama Sastry. I hate to use this word after having heard this from everyone on TV and Radio but the word which described Sitarama Sastry's lyrics for this song is 'mind-blowing'.

I looked this song up : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gooo6HC7yfU

1) Nice classical dance theme used in the picturisation (who better than Shobana?) :)
2) I think they have changed the interlude slightly (note 3:29 - 3:39 in the video)
3) To this untrained ear of mine, noticing only the auditory sounds of the language and not meaning. I feel the words are more choppy, I felt it was more undulating in Thamizh.

I hope I am not offending you, it's just what it sounded like to me. :ashamed:

Sureshs65
28th August 2009, 09:10 AM
No problem Querida. As you said, if you do not know the language, you will not get the beauty. Sitarama Sastry's lyrics 'flow' very well. It is almost as if the male and female singers are trying to upstage each other by their poetry.

Sureshs65
28th August 2009, 09:14 AM
Last night Kalaignar TV and Sun Music screened some superb songs back to back. 'poomAlayE thoL sEra vA', 'nilavu thoongum nEram', 'gEtham sangEtham', 'Ananda rAgam', 'kAdhal Oviyam'. When you listen to these songs you can clearly make out why some people are so addicted to these songs and cannot come out of the 70s/80s magic of Illayaraja!!

Querida
28th August 2009, 10:51 AM
Oh wow what gems! Every single one of them are enough to send you off to a isolated moment of happiness :sigh2: If only I had tamil tv...but then again I would probably be glued to the set for all the song specials! :D

One song that I adore is from "Mouna Raagam"

Mandram Vantha Thendralluku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlaiAuDvt0M

The only danger I see in this song is the irresisitable urge to watch the movie everytime I hear this song and others from this movie... :D

Raikkonen
28th August 2009, 11:08 AM
Ithayam songs.. :bow:

Really great.

Plum
28th August 2009, 11:37 AM
'lalita priya kamalam virisinadhi
kannula kolamini...aa...aa..aaaaa
udhaya ravi kiranam merisanadhi
oohala jagathiki....'
That 'udhaya ravi kiranam' is made for the tune. Similarly 'amritha kalasamugA prathi nimisham' as against 'azhagai chumandhu varum azhagarasi'.

Will go with Suresh on lyrics here though SPB routs Jesu aNNa to take Idhazhil past the line first!

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 12:26 PM
plum,
satiyama - nee sonna lines dhan enakum
impress achu.

inga solla vandhen. oru phone call.
late achu.
adhukulae nee post pannite........

Plum
28th August 2009, 12:39 PM
plum,
satiyama - nee sonna lines dhan enakum
impress achu.

inga solla vandhen. oru phone call.
late achu.
adhukulae nee post pannite........

:), raja magic!

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 12:41 PM
THanks plum.

yes. Raaja majic.....

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 12:56 PM
Querida
4 time kaetu parungo.
Sundhara telugnu - evvalavu nijam nu theriyum.

enakum telugu theiryadhu. but try to understand..

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 01:00 PM
kalala virula vanam
mana hirudhayam

Here is KJY.....

valachina aavani
koorani neeraga cherina
tharunam

evvalavu easy a handle panrar KJY - IR composition ai......

sila songs stands for KJY only........

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 01:04 PM
manasu himagiriga
maarinadi
kalisina mamadhala
swara jathi pasu pathi
patha pathi kaga

nice lyrics. nice rendition.........

Querida
28th August 2009, 01:05 PM
Querida
4 time kaetu parungo.
Sundhara telugnu - evvalavu nijam nu theriyum.

enakum telugu theiryadhu. but try to understand..

Ok I will :)

I think it is just how Telugu sounds to me in general...it almost sounds rough....and when angry dialogue is going on it scares me more than any other language... :oops: :frightened:

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 01:08 PM
oh..
apadiya.....
onnnum sollalai Querida...
angry dialogue - endha language layum
nalla dhan irukadhu. ilaiya...

kobam - nalla expression ilaiyae....

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 01:10 PM
Querida,
naan kelambaren ipo. kitchen work iruku.

lalitha priya kamalam - ennai inga ukkara
vechadhu.
ipo poren . appram varen...

Querida
28th August 2009, 01:11 PM
oh..
apadiya.....
onnnum sollalai Querida...
angry dialogue - endha language layum
nalla dhan irukadhu. ilaiya...

kobam - nalla expression ilaiyae....

Hmmm true, true

Anyways will listen with a clean heart and an open mind. If you are all praising this much then for sure I should not remain ignorant.

tvsankar
Good Night Querida....

Querida
Querida,
naan kelambaren ipo. kitchen work iruku.

lalitha priya kamalam - ennai inga ukkara
vechadhu.
ipo poren . appram varen...

ok bye :D thank you for understanding :)

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 01:15 PM
neenga dhan unga feelings ai sollinteengalae
(ennai madhiryae..hhaha)
so no prob.
adhan bhadhil sonnen,
naan dhan thanks solanam - purinjindahdhuku.

bfn...

AravindMano
28th August 2009, 01:56 PM
Jotheyali Jothe Jotheyali :musicsmile:

Gearing up for the weekend ;)

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 03:13 PM
Aravind,
guve me the youtube link pl....

AravindMano
28th August 2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV2jr9Y-nco

Enjoy! :)

tvsankar
28th August 2009, 06:32 PM
thanks for the link Aravind...

Querida
29th August 2009, 10:02 AM
Great Selection AravindMano! I've never heard this version before :)

"Kathalin Deepam Ondru"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4uLflEB40

- SPB's beautiful voice...
- thought-provoking lyrics
- Rajini's suave character

what's not to love?

:D

Sureshs65
29th August 2009, 06:39 PM
Good kostin, Querida. Maybe Madhavi :lol: Just kidding. An all time fav song of many people.

They seem to have opened a new Kannada music channel called Raj Musix. They keep screening some lovely Raja - Shankar Nag songs, 'Nanna Jeeva Neevu', 'Jothayali' and some more songs. 'Jotheyali' is another all time fav for many.

tvsankar
29th August 2009, 08:24 PM
Lalitha priya kamalam - kaetachu - podhum nu
mudika mudiyalai....

repated a kaetundu iruken.

Kudavae,

Swapnangal kan

Nilavu varum neram

Nirandharamo

tvsankar
29th August 2009, 08:40 PM
Analum,

Yarivanu and Yarivalu - Prem khagani sticks in my mind....

rajkumarc
29th August 2009, 09:54 PM
Mangai Nee Maangani from the movie Innisai Mazhai. Love IR's singing here than SNSurendhar. There is some casual aloofness in his singing in this particular song which I like.

Mesmerized with the tune overall and this has been in the loop for a while. You can listen to it here - http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00204.html

tvsankar
29th August 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the song cr....

Sureshs65
29th August 2009, 10:44 PM
After a long time, 'Sivamallipoove'. What a composition!! I have a tape which has many superb Malayalam female solos of IR. Even within them, whenever the prelude of this song start,the heart becomes lighter. Chitra does a lovely job as usual. Raja's use of synth in songs like this, 'Manjoolum Raatri', 'Sharadendu Paadi' is exemplary. You will wonder if using synth you can give such lovely melodies.

tvsankar
29th August 2009, 11:09 PM
suresh,
Sivamalipoove - link pl...

Sureshs65
30th August 2009, 12:04 AM
Usha,

Check this link. Look under the movie 'Friends'

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/Bluegrass/2112/real.html

And while you are there, listen to the other songs as well. A gem of an album.

tvsankar
30th August 2009, 12:44 AM
Suresh,
thanks a lot.
sure. kaekaren.

Shakthiprabha
30th August 2009, 12:50 AM
Mangai Nee Maangani from the movie Innisai Mazhai. Love IR's singing here than SNSurendhar. There is some casual aloofness in his singing in this particular song which I like.

http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00204.html

EvLo azhaga yosikareenga :bow: :thumbsup:

sivasub
30th August 2009, 03:44 PM
One of the hidden telugu gems.... it was certainly a huge hit when released. Not sure if it is still being remembered...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6A-OE4x-cw

Thanks for pointing out Suresh - didnt realise I was posting it in the other thread

irir123
30th August 2009, 08:46 PM
RRROOOTTTFFFLLL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-x2hLmiimY&NR=1

Horrible, atrocious, hilarious dubbing for IR's voice!

rajkumarc
30th August 2009, 10:11 PM

http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00204.html

EvLo azhaga yosikareenga :bow: :thumbsup:

Thanks. Naana ezhutharen... pattai kettavudane adhuva varudhu :D

Hope you enjoyed the song.

rajkumarc
30th August 2009, 10:16 PM
Uravenum Pudhiya Vaanil from Nenjathai Killaadhe. What a song this is... whenever I listen I feel this should be the song of the century.

Everything about this song - preludes & interludes, SJ's humming in the beginning and SPB's humming in the end... I don't have any words to describe that would enhance it's greatness.

There was an unforgettable comment that I read somewhere in the forums about a particular moment in this song. The ending flute piece in the prelude before SJ's humming starts - at that moment you feel as if your heart gets plucked away :notworthy:

tvsankar
30th August 2009, 11:38 PM
sumam prathi sumam - Mahrarishi

Beautiful Guitar works...........

Ennoda favourite Flute..

SJ in humming.....

SPB in rendition - kurala nadikarar nu
yar sonnadhu. elalralaum kurala nadika mudiyadhu.
So He is Great........

tvsankar
31st August 2009, 12:19 PM
Ranu RAngu from Premkhagani

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrmmyvs1ZPE

En image il irundha madhri oru picturisation.

Very nice. IR in compsoition ai unarndhu
nanraga eduka patta oru picturisation..

Thanks to the team members......

Sureshs65
31st August 2009, 04:39 PM
rajkumar,

'Uravenum', 'Paruvame', 'Ye Tendrale' Well, you may also be right if you insist it is the album of the century. Whatever may be the assessment, you do get the feeling of a batsman having scored a great century when you listen to this album. And having done that in style as well!!!

P_R
31st August 2009, 09:45 PM

Instantly likeable... Thank You

app_engine
31st August 2009, 10:09 PM
பூந்தென்றலே, நல்ல நேரம் காலம் சேரும்
பழகிய பலன் உருவாகும், பாடி வா பாடி வா

PJ-VJ number (Bhuvana oru kELvikkuRi) from the PJ CD was on the loop this morning. IR was full of iLamailththuLLal at this time. (This film also has that fantastic 'vizhiyilE malarndhadhu, uyirilE kalandhadhu').

As I mentioned earlier in a post, this version has a prelude where VJ sings 'nAnA-nAna-nAna-nAna....nANNNA' in her typical style which should have made pal-koochcham for IR and he tries to poosi mezhugify it with a vocal chorus / bass combo. The prelude ends abruptly with PJ starting the pallavi (possibly cut & paste from VCD, the sound quality of CD is abysmal as well).

The first interlude is sweet and when one is getting immersed in a nice guitar sound, there comes a not-so-palatable keyboard thingy. Just like IR, so unpredictable. However, he does not test the patience but cuts that piece short with a roaring set of violins playing a few crisp notes to lead into the saraNam in style! Very amusing and funny :-)

With some sweet humming interspersed, the saraNam progresses briskly (VJ irritates from time to time, though).

Then comes the grand second interlude where bass and lead play together to freak-out! (I'm not happy with the extra extension of the interlude that this version has.) The original radio version was crisp and phenomenal that ended with the three-guitar-play to lead to the percussionless 2nd saraNam, with just bass guitar and guitar chords...so sweet.

VJ has a humming postlude as well. Overall, while one likes her Thamizh, her singing gets me 'pal koochcham'. (Listen to her 'பழகிய பலன் உருவாகும்', hilarious)

Sanjeevi
31st August 2009, 10:36 PM

Thullal Raja

Nice picturisation too

Vazhga kannada cinema :)

PS: nallavelai enakku kannada theriyathu, v.ram and g.sis idainchal panna mattaanga

Sureshs65
31st August 2009, 11:15 PM
app_eng,

Your description wants me to go run and hear this song again. Been a long time. Can't do it now since Sun Music is playing 'nI dhanE en ponvasantham'. What a composition!! Everything in this song reeks class, be it the twisting turning tune, the interludes, the rhythm. Such complication and such melody have never coexisted so peacefully.

Sureshs65
31st August 2009, 11:18 PM
app_eng,

Most of the Jayachandran songs of those times instantly bring the whole atmosphere of that era in your mind's eye immediately. 'poonthendralE', 'chitira sevvanam' and others can take you on a nostalgic trip like no other song. Somehow Jayachandran's songs have that effect on me more than any other singer from that era.

Sureshs65
31st August 2009, 11:20 PM
Sanjeevi,

Also check out the other numbers from that film, 'hodadavane', 'yarivalu yarivalu' and 'sringara sindhoora'. 'nannane noduvanu' from Bagyada Balegara will be worth checking as well.

app_engine
31st August 2009, 11:23 PM
app_eng,

Your description wants me to go run and hear this song again. Been a long time.

Please do so for the sake of 2nd interlude & 2nd saraNam, both are very sweet.

This link has the standard radio version (possibly the one on the original vinyl disk) :
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00079.html

I prefer this to the one on my CD with "extra fittings"

Sureshs65
31st August 2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks a_e. As I was typing about Jayachandran, coincidentally Sun Music has started playing 'rAsAthi onna'!!

Sureshs65
31st August 2009, 11:35 PM
app_eng,

I did run and listen to it after your urging :) And as usual we discover some things that we didn't notice earlier. I mean the second charanam. After reading your writeup I observed that there was no percussion and in all my earlier listens I have never missed it. Even when I listen now there was a feeling that the percussion is playing. Master of experimentation. That's what this man is.

I still remember the same feeling which I got when I listened to 'melle oNNu' from 'Manasinakkare' recently. The first interlude has tabla backing and the second interlude the synth drums. I didn't realise this for a long time. You just cannot make out the difference. Don't know how he does these things. One of the reasons that many cannot pull themselves away from him. Can't blame them can you? :)

tvsankar
31st August 2009, 11:40 PM
app_eng,

Your description wants me to go run and hear this song again. Been a long time.

Please do so for the sake of 2nd interlude & 2nd saraNam, both are very sweet.

This link has the standard radio version (possibly the one on the original vinyl disk) :
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00079.html

I prefer this to the one on my CD with "extra fittings"

app,
Dhool.com la saravanan - full version pottu irukar nu
nenaikaren.

thedi parthu link tharen.

about the prelude

radio vil paatai kaeta pin dhan padam parka nerndhadhu.
padathil - indha paatu - indha prelude udan start
anadhum romba surprise...

appo ellam - IR song pathi pesanam na - memorise
pannikanam.
apo dhan mathavanga kite sollindu pesa mudiyum.

(naan kashta pattu mesmorise pannindu - veetuku vandhu
solindu.. periya story....ana radio vil kaetka mudiyavilai.)

But Dhool Saravanan - fulfilled my desire.
so thedi parthu link tharen.....

app_engine
31st August 2009, 11:53 PM
Usha chEchi, thanks for the pointer, I did google and this was the first result :-) It is an interesting article (though I strongly disagree on VJ :-) )

http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2973

As I have this version on my CD anyways (and don't like it as much as the radio version), didn't venture into the audio of SOTD...

Sanjeevi
1st September 2009, 01:03 AM
Sanjeevi,

Also check out the other numbers from that film, 'hodadavane', 'yarivalu yarivalu' and 'sringara sindhoora'. 'nannane noduvanu' from Bagyada Balegara will be worth checking as well.

I hate yaarivalu i mean sriram parthasarathi :sigh2: he somehow fails to impress after Ilangathu and Suttum Vizhi sudare. I like sringara with Shreya :D

tvsankar
1st September 2009, 01:19 AM
sanjeevi,

yarivalu - idhan enaku pidhachadhu,.

yarivanu - interludes adhigam irukadhu.

yarivalu - idhula dhan interludes
and harmony layer romba nalla irukum.

ajithfederer
1st September 2009, 06:36 AM
Idhuthaan - Pulan Visaaranai. Dare I say that IR's voice fits it like a T.

Sureshs65
2nd September 2009, 09:46 AM
'priyatamA nA hridayamA' from the Telugu fim 'Prema'. Starts off with almost a hard rock guitar sound. The interlude moves smoothly into the charanam, which is exquisitely constructed. Balu's 'acting voice' stands in good stead as the sadness of the situation is perfectly conveyed. Listen to it at :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmQqzVYXOKA

AravindMano
2nd September 2009, 10:04 AM
Nee pArtha pArvaikku oru nandri (Hey Ram)

Just couldnt get enough of it. Magical.

I dont follow Hindi so i dont get what Rani Mukherjee speaks in that song, but i know it by heart and love it. For me, it has become an inseperable entity of the prelude :)

crajkumar_be
2nd September 2009, 10:40 AM
I dont follow Hindi so i dont get what Rani Mukherjee speaks in that song, but i know it by heart and love it. For me, it has become an inseperable entity of the prelude :)
That's Bengali, AM :)

AravindMano
2nd September 2009, 10:47 AM
Oops. Sorry, My Bad :) (But sounded very much like Hindi!)

tvsankar
2nd September 2009, 12:22 PM

prabhu ram,
thanks for the response..

nejama enaku romba pidichadhu.

paatin flow ai purinju - its a aerobic type song

its my feelings........ tats all.

song's picturisation relfects the mood and the flow
of the song in each and every bit of the song......

colors are also reflects the mood of the song....

1st interlude - orange color. nice one...

kalaidascope la pakkara madhiri

dance movemnents - suzhandu suzhandu .. place change agi
nice dance movements..

vulgarity um kaamamum illadha oru kadhal padal - adharkana
oru azhagana dance...

2nd interlude - white and blue color combo ....

excellent taste..
its a real treat to our eyes....

floor design , colors, decent dances ( kalaidascope la
pakkar design madhiri oru design a dance movement ai edutha muyarchi ku ennudaiya kodanu nanri.) gives
the royal treat to This IR Song...

adhan sonnen - TEam pepple ku Thanks a lot....

ajithfederer
2nd September 2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71QhbQJLqoc&feature=related

what an intro song :rotfl2:

tvsankar
2nd September 2009, 08:17 PM
af,
ethana vidhamana 'nadha'..
hhahaha. athanai perukum nadhaa..
really funny lyrics......

thumburu
3rd September 2009, 04:48 PM
Prelude itself is such a joy.
With pacy guitar, drums and violins running at breakneck speed to pave way for that majestic trumpets to make entry with sounds of claps - "saalai oram solam ondru" from PM, my second most fav song after "ILaiya nila" . "MakkaL" used to wait for those SPB wannabe's to bungle badly, the brihas of "nyaayangaLai ke.....tka yaarumillaiye" line in the charanam and boo them out. I like both the interludes, the first one with playful flute, guitar and naughty violins and the second with trumpets, guitar and violins alternating. Directors cannot conceive the picturization to befit the myriad hues sprayed through his evocative interludes . May be that is the reason why some of his recent songs look like those clipped wings

Sureshs65
3rd September 2009, 04:56 PM
Good to see your post after a long time thumburu. Nice description of the song.

Well, I guess everyone has the 'AdhAngam' that the interludes have got shorter and is more synth in the recent past. It is slowly changing and I hope in songs from 'Pazhassi Raja' we will have great interludes.

You are perfectly right about the directors not able to match the musical vision on Illayaraja. Was watching the lovely but not very famous, 'ngyan ngyan pAdanum'. The picturization was pathetic and that is an understatement!!!

ajithfederer
3rd September 2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biMg6TGYvF0&feature=related

Keeravaani - ilayaraja :notworthy:

This movie, imo is a quite decent thriller. Karthik is absolutely handsome :shock: .

app_engine
3rd September 2009, 10:15 PM
The PJ CD continues to get played in the car :-)

This morning's choice was 'சித்திரச்செவ்வானம் சிரிக்கக்கண்டேன் - என் முத்தான முத்தம்மா - என் கண்ணான கண்ணம்மா' (காற்றினிலே வரும் கீதம்)...

Songs like this force one to repeat many times - so tasty, can't settle with just one peg :-)

The flow, the innovative combination of north Indian tabla with TN country drums, roaring vioins combining with breezy flute...
எதை சொல்வது, எதை விடுவது...

PJ sounds so young and interesting (BTW, does anyone know the meaning of the 'thuyya eLavALan, thandeLavAli'?). The way he enjoys singing 'thayyara thaiyyara - thayyara thaiyyara -thayyara thaiyyara- thaiyyarath thayyA' during first interlude is intoxicating, அப்படியே லயிச்சுப்பாடிருக்கார்!

The male chorus is superb! For some IR songs, the male chorus could even be an irritant may be because of quality issues, but this one is immensely enjoyable and of top grade!

There seems to be a confusion among the singer-lyricist-IR-director as to whether the song should be sung totally in a colloquial mode or literary mode as PJ switches between both continuously (e.g. pAppA, nippA in the second stanza line endings followed by 'vAduvAL').

Also I wonder whether PJ had some confusion about how to say 'kaNNana' (sometimes it sounds like "கன்னான". I found a similar issue with the 'poonthendRalE' song also where both PJ and VJ at times get confused with the Na / na business.

KVG - despite not having SPB / stereo etc - will get into IR's top 20 (if not 10) albums, IMO!

crajkumar_be
4th September 2009, 12:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71QhbQJLqoc&feature=related

what an intro song :rotfl2:

Thanks Feddy!

Which brings me to this absolute delight of a song!

"Maappillai ku Maaman manasu" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic58HfLLk_c&feature=related)
:musicsmile: incredibly f-ing cool, ultimate jammin :cool2:

And Malaysia rocks!

rajkumarc
4th September 2009, 01:19 AM
The PJ CD continues to get played in the car :-)

This morning's choice was 'சித்திரச்செவ்வானம் சிரிக்கக்கண்டேன் - என் முத்தான முத்தம்மா - என் கண்ணான கண்ணம்மா' (காற்றினிலே வரும் கீதம்)...

Songs like this force one to repeat many times - so tasty, can't settle with just one peg :-)

The flow, the innovative combination of north Indian tabla with TN country drums, roaring vioins combining with breezy flute...
எதை சொல்வது, எதை விடுவது...

PJ sounds so young and interesting (BTW, does anyone know the meaning of the 'thuyya eLavALan, thandeLavAli'?). The way he enjoys singing 'thayyara thaiyyara - thayyara thaiyyara -thayyara thaiyyara- thaiyyarath thayyA' during first interlude is intoxicating, அப்படியே லயிச்சுப்பாடிருக்கார்!

The male chorus is superb! For some IR songs, the male chorus could even be an irritant may be because of quality issues, but this one is immensely enjoyable and of top grade!

There seems to be a confusion among the singer-lyricist-IR-director as to whether the song should be sung totally in a colloquial mode or literary mode as PJ switches between both continuously (e.g. pAppA, nippA in the second stanza line endings followed by 'vAduvAL').

Also I wonder whether PJ had some confusion about how to say 'kaNNana' (sometimes it sounds like "கன்னான". I found a similar issue with the 'poonthendRalE' song also where both PJ and VJ at times get confused with the Na / na business.

KVG - despite not having SPB / stereo etc - will get into IR's top 20 (if not 10) albums, IMO!

Lovely description of an unforgettable song :thumbsup:

On similar lines there is another PJ song with a spellbinding male chorus. It is Thaalaatudhe Vaanam from Kadal Meengal. The lines go "Hey Kuriya Kuriya Kuriya". Those lines captured the very essence of fishermen's lives and look at how it blends into the beginning of the charanam. Outstanding composition :notworthy:

Sureshs65
4th September 2009, 09:09 AM
app_eng,

This was one of the songs which made me 'accept' Raja. I mean, I was and am a great fan of MSV and I tried my best not to accept Raja during those days. (It happens doesn't it :) While I liked his earlier songs, hearing this song on radio sort blew away all my objections and I added one more MD to my favorite list :D

P_R
4th September 2009, 01:46 PM
Does this song have a tamil version ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related.&hl=en&v=uo1voj9Q3I8

Plum
4th September 2009, 01:55 PM
PR, which song is that?

P_R
4th September 2009, 01:59 PM
PR, which song is that?

Avesamantha - Alapana

Plum
4th September 2009, 02:33 PM
yes it has. Salangaiyil oru Sangeedham, the tamil dubbing of the same movie.
yaarodu yaarO, nee enna oorO

Plum
4th September 2009, 04:01 PM
I just played the song and the album Alapana in my mind - i am pathetically understocked of the songs I love in physical media. A beautiful album, which isnt remembered as much as the AbhinandanAs and even the AnveshaNAs.

Aaveshamantha - Yaarodu yaaaro - SPB at his pomp. Telugu version rocks over the tamil one. Note the continuity in AavE..sha..mantha as against the up-and-down curve in yA..rO(up)...du(down)...yArO(up). It seems to me that meaning is not the only purpose lyrics serve, the fitment of the words to the tune is equally important - and this is probably where some IR songs in tamil suffer. I think some VM songs for IR also have the same problem.

Kalise prathi sandhyalo - a gem of a song, I think the telugu lyrics are good too, "nAlO nEnE migalAli". The charanams are too good; if you sing along, there is hardly a tune, but Raja makes it up with the orchestration and Janaki's humming counterpoints(?) - this is more of a listen-only melody.

The miseries of not possessing a physical copy attack now, with the rest of the songs of the album slipping my mind :-(

P_R
4th September 2009, 04:17 PM
Thank You Plum
Have not listened to the Tamil version.

Regarding the lyric-fitting...yeah absolutely. VM talks about them all the time - though IMO his 'fitting' edge has dulled over the years.

Among the examples he likes to give are:
yEri ...karai irukku
sOLa...karuthirukku
sOla...kuyilirukku

Where the choice of different syllables AND words fit to heighten the effect.

Plum
4th September 2009, 04:22 PM
That example is very good, PR. It is a good lead worth exploring further. An example that proves it but so obvious that it is not worth the sentence mentioning it is
"rakkamma kaiya thattu" vs "oh jaaneman aaja aaja" :lol:

"dil hai chotAsa" vs "chinna chinna aasai". The former may be crap lyrics but does fit in better.

P_R
4th September 2009, 05:22 PM
What VM had in consideration was

maanE maNikkuyilE
thEnE.. iLa mayile

or something like that which sounded very ordinary. Mind you the notes, syllables are matched here too. But you can't maanE up and maNikkuyilE down. The final lyrics worked because of the 'design'

btw I like chinna chinna better
Converted atleast one NorthIndies fellow to identify by the song by this line.

Partly familiarity but dil and hai are not similar sounding words that are necessary for the first two short notes which are the same (note to self: adakki vaasi)

Sureshs65
4th September 2009, 06:12 PM
Plum,

Other than the two songs you mentioned, the other popular song from 'Alapana' was 'Priyatama Tama Tama'.

Talking in a function held to commemorate Vaali, Illayaraja takes the example of 'sundari unnal oru seidi' to say how well Vaali fitted in the words to the song, stating that those the words may not be poetic, they fit the tune very well.

crajkumar_be
4th September 2009, 06:45 PM
It seems to me that meaning is not the only purpose lyrics serve, the fitment of the words to the tune is equally important -
Naan adha dhaan main-a paappen and thats why i prefer IR-VM over ARR-VM

P_R
4th September 2009, 07:04 PM
Talking in a function held to commemorate Vaali, Illayaraja takes the example of 'sundari unnal oru seidi' to say how well Vaali fitted in the words to the song, stating that those the words may not be poetic, they fit the tune very well.

I remember that. But IMO, IR's sample lines (something along the lines of எண்ணங்கள் ஓராயிரம் in place of சுந்தரி கண்ணால் ஒரு) did not seem aesthetically inferior - as far as 'fit' goes.

Plum
4th September 2009, 07:42 PM
In the same context, he quoted "nenjam marapadhillai". "thaamarai malaril manadhinai eduthu thaniye vaithirundhaen, oru thookkamillai". What a flow that is! That's a song where everything came together - and very good orchestration, too, for MSV-orchestration-critics
(I know TKR was part of the equation then so you may throw that back at me!)

kiru
4th September 2009, 11:39 PM
I dont know why IR mentioned tune..I thought he always gave out the sandham (tha na tha na na format) and made the lyricists write to it. So it will definitely fit the tune. Only Yuvan and to a very minor level I see ARR not set the right word sounds for the tune.
(BTW, tha na tha na ..like used in many film songs was the way all 7 swaras were sung in ancient tamil country ..not sa re ga ma pa da ni. IR introduces the tamil names for the seven swaras in UO)

Sanjeevi
5th September 2009, 12:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137pzlQiTW4

Enna oru tune, ennaa rthym beats, eppadippatta ludes athuvam antha 2nd interlude. Koduthu vachurukkanum naama

out of the universe song :D

the quitar guy :lol:

rajasaranam
5th September 2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137pzlQiTW4

Enna oru tune, ennaa rthym beats, eppadippatta ludes athuvam antha 2nd interlude. Koduthu vachurukkanum naama

out of the universe song :D

the quitar guy :lol:

Intha paatta pathi en manasukulla ezhuppi vachiruntha chithiraththa suththamma keduthuputteenga :roll: Picturisation'a Sonnen :)

Athey padathula irunthu innoru paattu.
Oru Kunguma Chengamalam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx3opO-h8gg&feature=related)
I was blown away by this song few years back when heard it for the first time. one of the songs which Made my conviction even deeper that Raaja is the only 'GOD of Music'.
The Song is more interesting because of the humming of Janaki which creates a surreal effect to the actual song. Its like a Dali painting that Raaja has composed this song. The whole song has a dream like effect. With just Tabla, Flute and Violins accompanied with Janaki's voice the song transposes us into some other unknown world and we can stand gazing at the eternal listening to this song...just listening.
Another song which proves that NO Director in this World can Justify the Visualisations that Raaja's Music creates.

Sureshs65
5th September 2009, 06:03 PM
RS,

Thanks for the link. First time I am listening to this song. Vintage Raja. What a flow and what orchestration. You have described it well.

Sureshs65
5th September 2009, 11:20 PM
Sun Music is screening 'veLLai pura onDru', the duet version. One of those amazing songs who beauty cannot be captured in words. So I will not try :)

Sureshs65
5th September 2009, 11:57 PM
Sun Music on a roll. 'vizhiyil kadhai ezhudum neramidu', followed by 'meenamma meenamma', 'germaniyin senthenmalarE', 'aDi vAnmathi', 'ninAivO oru paravai', 'ding dong dong ding dong'. What a lovely sequence of songs. In the 'ding dong' song Chitra's voice is like a bell. So appropriate for this song.

ajithfederer
6th September 2009, 12:11 AM
50 pages :victory:.

Sanjeevi
6th September 2009, 12:23 AM
50 pages :victory:.

:victory: :D

Sanjeevi
6th September 2009, 12:26 AM
Vennelai Padana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp5BveeVZic)

Sri Kanaka Mahalakshmi Recording Dance Troope

Today's discovery :). Kettukitteeeeeeeeee irukkalam. IR+SPB+SJ who can beat this combo :challenge:. Dont miss the 2nd interlude :D. What a spellbinding start i mean how this song starts

Thanks to orkut IR telugu song fans, they rock

Sanjeevi
6th September 2009, 12:49 AM
Never heard this song (?) before. Sabashda what a find today :thumbsup: (enakkuthan :)). For me, It strongly books a place in IR's top 5 short songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq8o8wC6Rd8&feature=related

BTW tamil version-la intha paattu irukkA?

rajasaranam
6th September 2009, 09:09 AM
Enna Solli Naan Ezhutha? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keS3RIYZP1Y)
Enna Solli Naan Ezhutha?!!

crvenky
6th September 2009, 10:34 AM
I think Rani Theni is by Sankar-Ganesh.

Sureshs65
6th September 2009, 11:23 AM
Sanjeevi,

A nice find. I had seen this movie long back and I don't remember this song. Sabash indeed :)

tvsankar
6th September 2009, 11:57 AM
I think Rani Theni is by Sankar-Ganesh.

venky,
Enna - neeenga poi ipadi solreenga.. idhu IR dhan....