Mayilsamy and Dhamu are actually good!

Mayilsamy in Dhool

and in that Dhanush movie

I am venugopal from titel park :lol:

Mayil is terrific in another Dhanush movie

Where he would use an inverted manjal pai as his :oops: :lol:

Mayilsamy is good! Dhamo - I'm not sure :oops:

Venugopal from titel park :rotfl2:

He continues to say something like this.

Gang: enna da innum venuma?
MS: aahn... i yam pinished...
G: vEra enna venum?
MS: nAn kelamburen...
G: seri adhukku nAn enna pannanum. Auto pudichuttu varanumA
MS: aahnn.. adhu anaavasiyam
G: vEran enna thAn dA venum..
MS: Auto'ku kaasu koduthutteenganna, naane poidaren :rotfl2:

The way he says "aahnn... adhu anAvasiyam" was too good :rotfl:

P_R
29th March 2009, 10:47 AM
combiyewter-nA ? :lol:

Roshan
29th March 2009, 11:03 AM
Intha poll'ai kandikkiREn. I jumped in to vote for Sandhanam but anthAL pEr illa :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I kindly request the mods to remove VKR and Thangavelu and include Sandhanam twice :x

Adhuvaraikkum no voting. Mathavanga ellArum Sandhanathukku appuRamthAn :evil:

NOV
29th March 2009, 11:15 AM
joe, I dont know why you want to fight for Thangavelu. He is a mountain compared to many other jokers and set the tone for comedy in tamil films.

What is there to argue with a boy who thinks Gaundamani is a comedian? :lol2:
Goundamani IMO ranks amongst the top ten unfunny comedians and is the epitome of crass and crudeness in tamil films of yonder days. We should :clap: with joy that he is done with now.

But then there is vadivelu now. :sigh2:

SV Sekhar is a very witty guy and I am with SP here.

viraajan
29th March 2009, 11:20 AM
:shock: :shock:

Just now I'm noticing it. VKR in the list? :shock:

Please remove his name from the list. Humble request :(

"marshaa.... avana udAdha... pudi...pudi" :bow: :rotfl2:

Vivasaayi
29th March 2009, 11:25 AM
Goundamani IMO ranks amongst the top ten unfunny comedians and is the epitome of crass and crudeness in tamil films of yonder days. We should :clap: with joy that he is done with now.

WHta is there to expect from a guy who thinks Mohan lal is the weak link in IRUVAR

:lol2:

NOV
29th March 2009, 11:32 AM
you are not "that" boy. :P

NOV
29th March 2009, 11:35 AM
This one even surpasses ur "Mohan lal was the weak link in Iruvar" comment...

P.S:I like thangavelu better than any comedians of his era and of course a big fan of kaunder :huh:Just like how you have changed your post, I expect you to mature and change your opinion as you grow older. :poke:

// jokes aside Viv, I talk of Mohanlal for his performance in Iruvar. Its easier to understand this if you are not a fan.

Roshan
29th March 2009, 11:36 AM
HayyA Santhanam :boo:

viraajan
29th March 2009, 11:38 AM

P.S:I like thangavelu better than any comedians of his era and of course a big fan of kaunder :huh:Just like how you have changed your post, I expect you to mature and change your opinion as you grow older. :poke:

// jokes aside Viv, I talk of Mohanlal for his performance in Iruvar. Its easier to understand this if you are not a fan.

change pannina post'ku edhukku reply pandreenga :oops: :P :yessir:

Vivasaayi
29th March 2009, 11:42 AM

Iruvar is his best IMO from what I have seen.

Even Adoor has mentioned it as his best. :)

Vivasaayi
29th March 2009, 11:45 AM

But U havent matured yet it seems- quoting a changed post :lol2:

directhit
29th March 2009, 11:50 AM
Goundamani IMO ranks amongst the top ten unfunny comedians and is the epitome of crass and crudeness in tamil films of yonder days. We should :clap: with joy that he is done with now. :rotfl: habbaada Nov peru indha poll la poda vendaam :lol2:

Vivasaayi
29th March 2009, 11:50 AM
Goundamani IMO ranks amongst the top ten unfunny comedians and is the epitome of crass and crudeness in tamil films of yonder days. We should :clap: with joy that he is done with now. :rotfl: habbaada Nov peru indha poll la poda vendaam :lol2:

:lol:

NOV
29th March 2009, 11:52 AM
nice to see all the crudness being replicated by Goundamani fans here.

and thats why Gounds was a curse to TF fans.

I rest my case. :wave:

Vivasaayi
29th March 2009, 11:56 AM
nice to see all the crudness being replicated by Goundamani fans here.

and thats why Gounds was a curse to TF fans.

if someone read this whole page they will know who is crude or rude.

P_R
29th March 2009, 12:14 PM
Goundamani IMO ranks amongst the top ten unfunny comedians :lol:
See it is so easy to be funnier than Thangavelu.

Anyway....

btw so much opposition to Santhanam.. :roll:

He can be annoyingly bland but he is quite okay

ivan eppidirA andha veet-la irukkAn ? - Santosh Subramaniam

asingappattan autokaran - PollAdhavan

kaalaila nayar kadaila masal vadai saaptEn..paruppu vEga;ai - Sillendru oru kaadhal

and ...

S: summA thongindha bulb-ai yEndA udaichchE ?
Surya: avunga vEnaamnu sonnAngalle
S: avungannA ... annai teresa-vA ?
(Surya can't syop smiling in that scene)

TrishA: indha moonjiyai engayO paathirukkEnE
S: paathirukka mudiyaadhu.... yEn nA enakku dhaan machcham illayE - Kireedam

Roshan
29th March 2009, 12:35 PM

Anyway....

btw so much opposition to Santhanam.. :roll:

He can be annoyingly bland but he is quite okay

Unga comedy rasanai - I have never been able to fathom.

P_R
29th March 2009, 12:40 PM
:-)

ippo naan quote panna ella line-um mokkai 'ndreengaLA ?

Roshan
29th March 2009, 12:42 PM

ippo naan quote panna ella line-um mokkai 'ndreengaLA ?

Athaiyum thANdi punithamAnathu ..

Prabo
29th March 2009, 01:04 PM
Why no Vayapoori??? Ivare comedian listu'la sekkalaya? He is the most unfunniest comedian

Manorama - Very unfunny many times
Visu - Unfunny sometimes, aana ivaru comediyana :?

Plum
29th March 2009, 01:15 PM
I feel like neruppu neelamegam who sets fire to a hut only for 'theepori' something(Vadivelu) to face the brunt - theepori obviously here is prabhuram :-)

Since the thred owner name seems to be mine, I am embarassed at having Thengai and VKR in the options list.
VA Moorthy kooda scores in double-entendre. While people may have reservations against that genre, it cannot be denied that if you enjoy that type of humour, too, VA does score. Besides I saw him in a movie where Thengai was hero, an all sacrificing brother-in-law who brings up his wife's brother. VAM as the sakalai to Thengai and whose rich usurper of a wife is the villain of the piece for Thengai, does a great job in 'regular' humour. Avar peraiyum enakku power irundha list-lerundhu eduthuduvaen.

P.S: Sample of VAM double-entendre humour - in MMKR, Khushboo places a few pillows in her bed with a covered sheet to alibi for her while she is out cavorting with Raju for Per Vechalum. Half way through the song, VAM wakes up from sleep and being the paranoid parent, checking for Khushboo does a LOL antic, the fact of appreciating that antic as humour makes me question my own dikkinified phamily man status :-)

Plum
29th March 2009, 01:20 PM
Actually, I would like to stick to guys who enjoyed sole-comedian status which really eliminates Charlie, Dhamu, Vaiyapuri etc.
It is far more annoying when someone mokkais through a whole film and for films together as sole comedian than when it is a Kumarimuthu, an annoyance(remember Mammootty telling him off for irrelevantly showing his trademark laughter during a court inquiry?) alright but a blink, and you would never know he was in the movie anyway. I urge fellow connoiseurs of unfunny comedy to focus on such stalwarts who have been sole comedians - In principle, I cannot lump Suruli with this gang however given that so many people seem to have suffered from him, I think he is a valid candidate. But please let's discard the charlies, the dhamus, the aiya theriyadhaiya ramadosses.
If only we could recall YGM in Kamal and Rajni movies - Kazhugu and Uyarndha Ullam come to mind - others will lose deposit. Passage of time has saved the great character actor, drama artiste, school correspondent's son, the inimitable Mahendran.

Plum
29th March 2009, 01:23 PM
Nerd, yeah, with you on Rajni and Chinni. I am weird enough to have enjoyed the haaan comedy of Chinni, possibly thanks to Rajni's reactions.
Rajni's reputation for pambu type physical comedy and the rather mediocre stuff of 90's obscure a fine actor who, while he is not quite Kamal when it comes to comedy performances, has given great understated and overstated moments - and you can even find both styles many times at the same moment in Netrikann

Plum
29th March 2009, 01:25 PM
What?! Options-la SS Chandran illai!

Plum
29th March 2009, 01:31 PM
Joe, I think I can see where Prabhuram comes from w.r.t Thangavelu. Atleast danaal-nu timingku pattam ellam kuduthirkka venaam. Timing is the least of his attributes - PR framed this much better about him stretching a joke beyond its limits and making it a chore. Andha kaalathu comedian maadhirinu soldrache Nagesh, Chandrababu, thangavelu-nu automatic-aa avar peyar varuvadhai oputhuka mudiyalai. IMO(naan sonnalum sollattiyum whatever I type is IMO, idhai naan inime add panna poradhillaI) GoldVelu is not in the same class as the former 2. Adhukkaga avarai dhamu list-le laam serkaraangalenu neenga varutha padalam. But if we go by all eras need a representative(which we do for 'positive' lists) Thangavelu I guess will be the hands-down(to use a famous expression of mine) winner of his era.

joe
29th March 2009, 02:10 PM
Meendum oru muRai sollikoLLukiren...

The top 2 unfunny comedians ever are SanthaaNam and Vaiyaapuri.

omega
29th March 2009, 02:25 PM
Meendum oru muRai sollikoLLukiren...

The top 2 unfunny comedians ever are SanthaaNam and Vaiyaapuri.

:yes: but for me the order is

1) Vaiyaapoori
2) Santhaanam

Can't stand both

third to me is Premji (couldn't even think him as a comedian). He would soon top my list, if he continues for say another 5 films (with whatever he has been doing).....

P_R
29th March 2009, 05:23 PM
I feel like neruppu neelamegam who sets fire to a hut only for 'theepori' something(Vadivelu) to face the brunt - theepori obviously here is prabhuram

idhellAm oru sEdhAramA...... oru nalla bus-ai vaanguradhukku naalu seruppadi vaangunaalum thappu illai :lol2:

Passage of time has saved the great character actor,... Mahednran :confused2: Edho consolation prize maadhiri solreengaLA.... illai nijamAvE solreengaLA ? His filmography can be split into categories :1 ) One where he meant to be funny but couldn't 2) One where he didn't mean to be funny. The latter beats the former. That's as far as I would go.

Thangavelu I guess will be the hands-down(to use a famous expression of mine) winner of his era. What's his era ? He started before Nagesh.True. But his career significantly overlapped with that of Nagesh.

crajkumar_be
29th March 2009, 06:15 PM
I am venugopal from titel park :lol:

crajkumar_be
29th March 2009, 06:17 PM
I feel like neruppu neelamegam who sets fire to a hut only for 'theepori' something(Vadivelu) to face the brunt - theepori obviously here is prabhuram

idhellAm oru sEdhAramA...... oru nalla bus-ai vaanguradhukku naalu seruppadi vaangunaalum thappu illai :lol2:

Passage of time has saved the great character actor,... Mahednran :confused2: Edho consolation prize maadhiri solreengaLA.... illai nijamAvE solreengaLA ? His filmography can be split into categories :1 ) One where he meant to be funny but couldn't 2) One where he didn't mean to be funny. The latter beats the former. That's as far as I would go.

Thangavelu I guess will be the hands-down(to use a famous expression of mine) winner of his era. What's his era ? He started before Nagesh.True. But his career significantly overlapped with that of Nagesh.
PR,
Black and white era comedy/comedians and actresses pathi unga karuthu? Blanket-a sonnaalum ok lighta pirichu meinjaalum ok :razz:

P.S: Nadigavel's humor?

HonestRaj
29th March 2009, 06:27 PM
ippadi oru thread ah?

actually I logged in to share some comedies by Annan Gounder... but not here ..

unfunny.... YGM is top in my list too

thamizhvaanan
30th March 2009, 03:46 AM
Yebba.. oru vazhiya padichu mudichutten!... sigh!!!

groucho070
30th March 2009, 07:24 AM
Waitaminute, why isn't Premji in that list?

And, and...Why is Tenggai there :shock: ?

Weekend poyitu varathukulla enanamoo nadanthirukku?

Thalafanz
30th March 2009, 07:43 AM
The answer is: I will enjoy it as long as it is interesting. It is not that the routine itself is boring. There are some old duds there are some later ones which are better.

For some/most, that routine itself is more than enough to call him stereotype. :wink: It's high time he changes his comedy track to something else IMO. :P :)

Thalafanz
30th March 2009, 07:51 AM
உங்கள் வடிவேலுவின் நகைச்சுவைகள் இன்னும் 20-30 வருடங்களுக்கு அப்புறம் உள்ளவர்களை சிரிக்க வைக்குமா என்பதை பொருத்திருந்து பார்ப்போம்

Most of his work will not. Some of it will. Even in that he will still comfortably lead he who shall not be named. :-)

Ithukku mElayum naan itha paththi pEsa virumbala. Let us live in our own world. Case adjourned!

groucho070
30th March 2009, 08:01 AM
Ganja Karuppu - Not really funny. But there is something in him that can be exploited some more.

Charlie - had his moments.

Surulirajan - ruled the roost, remember? He had his moments.

Tenggai - come on, guys. Please, Tillu Mullu alone can justify.

VKR - Please, enna ithu?

YGM - as a kid I remember laughing at some of his routines. It was funny then.

Santhanam - irritating. Sometimes he seemed to be channeling Gounder. Doesn't work.

VAM - Again, come on guys.

SSC - Gets my vote. How to explain his existence in Tamizh Film industry?

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 08:37 AM
When did VAM get into the list? And SSC still not removed from the list? :notthatway: :evil:
aniyayam, abaandam! theekulippu, tea kudippu.. :argh:

groucho070
30th March 2009, 09:06 AM
When did VAM get into the list? And SSC still not removed from the list? :notthatway: :evil:
aniyayam, abaandam! theekulippu, tea kudippu.. :argh:

:lol: I'll do the last one.

joe
30th March 2009, 09:13 AM
SSC still not removed from the list? :notthatway: :evil:

You want SSC to be removed from the list ,but not VKR ? :roll: :?

NOV
30th March 2009, 09:16 AM
Thengai and VKR can be removed from the list as no one has voted for them.

Who will replace them?

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 09:18 AM
SSC still not removed from the list? :notthatway: :evil:

You want SSC to be removed from the list ,but not VKR ? :roll: :?
Ahaa, missed that one Joe :oops:
Obviously, yerkanave sonna madhiri VKR ayya ku indha list la suthama velaye illa... First to be removed i say

joe
30th March 2009, 09:21 AM
Who will replace them?

Vaiyyapuri ,if he is considered as a comedian.

groucho070
30th March 2009, 09:24 AM
I agree with Vaiyapuri. How about Prashant...oh well, feggedaboutit. :oops:

Anu Mohan? He did a stint as comedian for a while.

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 09:24 AM
Vayyapuri has got a good majority :lol2:
One could also consider Dhamu

NOV
30th March 2009, 09:30 AM
Lets try to stick to mainstream comedians and not sidekicks. (Charlie shouldnt be an option too. :roll: )

Sourav
30th March 2009, 09:32 AM
vaiyapuri ellam unfunny 'comedians' list-lala serthale avaruku periya gouravam than.... avaruku athukku kooda thaguthi illa....IMO :twisted:

Sourav
30th March 2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12063&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Suruli Classic Comedy list-layum irukkaru...
unfunny comedians-list layum irukkaru... :lol2:
0-4.

P_R
30th March 2009, 10:48 AM
PR,Black and white era comedy/comedians and actresses pathi unga karuthu? Blanket-a sonnaalum ok lighta pirichu meinjaalum ok :razz:

Blanget-A sollAnumnA rejeetted dhaan.
A throaty guffaw a punmuruval for a witty joke is at best they can get. Never a lound laugh. The only (occasional) exception being Nagesh.

P.S: Nadigavel's humor? He is the most 'contemporary in style as the father of 'nakkal'. But in large doses I find even MRR a bit unenjoyable. After a point, RaththakkaNNeer got to me. And he is one of the few who can just use attitude + modulation and create a laugh without a joke (eg. "vayyA James-u" :lol: in paava mannippu). That crooked grimace and squinting look of dismissal - :lol: - way ahead of his time.

joe
30th March 2009, 11:00 AM
PR,Black and white era comedy/comedians and actresses pathi unga karuthu? Blanket-a sonnaalum ok lighta pirichu meinjaalum ok :razz:

Neenga thaan inge Nattamaiyaa :lol:

Sanguine Sridhar
30th March 2009, 11:01 AM
Watched Saroja second time. Sathyama enakku Premji-ya paathu sirippu varala! First time kooda he was ok. Mirchi Siva in the other hand was excellent!

Chennai-28, Saroja rendu padmum college students stage play maadhri irrundhadhu. Oru thadava paatha sirippu varudhu, adhukku mela paatha mokkai maadhri thaan theriyudhu.

Huge difference between Crazy Mohan vagayaraas and this team.

P_R
30th March 2009, 11:04 AM

Neenga thaan inge Nattamaiyaa :lol:

IMO pOdalainnAlum IMO dhaan appidinnu Plum sollittArE... adhE dhaan enakkum

Plum
30th March 2009, 11:05 AM
"Lets try to stick to mainstream comedians and not sidekicks. (Charlie shouldnt be an option too. )
"
yeah, this was part of my premise which I reiterated later.
Definitely, VKR and Thengai should be removed. Suruli, too but given the votes he garnered, I bow to democracy and adjust to his presence in this list. Oruthar perai solluven aanal udhai vizhum - vivek-ai chinna-nu solla vaicha original avar. Sari, avaraiyum vidunga. How about TR Ramachandran? Enna avar hero-va? Yaaru sonna?

Plum
30th March 2009, 11:16 AM
பொதுவாக என்.எஸ்.கே பற்றி இப்போது நாம் இப்போதுள்ள அளவுகோலை வைத்து எடை போட்டு அவரை நிராகரிக்கிறோம் . கிட்டதட்ட தமிழ் சினிமா ஆரம்பித்த காலகட்டத்தில் புகழ்கொடி நாட்டியவர் அவர் .அவர் வெறும் காமெடியன் மட்டுமல்ல ..இயக்குநர் (நடிகர் திலகத்தின் இரண்டாவது படத்தை இயக்கியவர் அவரே) ,பாடலாசிரியர் ,பாடகர் ,வசனகர்த்தா ..இவை தாண்டி தனிமனித வாழ்வில் கொள்கைவாதி .பரோபகாரி (எம்.ஜி.ஆர் வள்ளலானது இவருக்கு சீடராக இருந்து தான்) . இவையெல்லாம் சேர்ந்து தான் கலைவாணர் என அழைக்கப்பட்டார். வெறும் காமெடியன் என்பதற்காக அல்ல.
"
Ofcourse, Joe, Kalaivaanar-ngara pattam pathi inge pechuke idam illai. But as a comedian is the question? Idhukku Naano PR-o onnum solla mudiyaadhu - we just find him unfunny(based on my knowledge of my mind and based on prabhyram's posts). Whether his comedy(standalone comedy alone without his other strengths) stands the test of time is something you'll have to tell us from your POV - without considering his other hats as a politician, director, amateur musician (a hat you left out- there is said to be a significant input from him in his popular songs), singer, lyricist, philantropist etc. Now, will Vadivelu stand the test of time - who knows but that is a fact remaining to be proved whereas whether NSK is still funny is something you can have definitive opinion for yourself even now. I dont want this discussion to be taken as Vadivelu is greater than NSK or whatever. (not nattamai or whatever just expressing my wish).

Plum
30th March 2009, 11:29 AM

Illai illai, I should have said 'great'.

[/quote]
Idhula doubt enna - I am sayign TV is hands-down winner against Nagesh and Chandrababu, appo it can only be in the negative sense illaiya? Nagesh and Chandrababu's physical comedy works for me big time even now.

Raikkonen
30th March 2009, 12:06 PM
you guys are harsh..

i like all of them in one way or another. there was a time when i just couldn't stand vadivel's comedies. his jokes were flat and so attrocious. i felt he was going through the exact routine (meets some strangers, acts a bit tough, cheated and getting pounded). But i've learned to appreciate him over the last few months thanks to his old clips.

on the list, i'd say SSLC is my least favorite. he has his own style, with his unique walk (vettile erumbu puguntha mathiri nadaparu), but i remember some of his b-grade movies (in fact all of them) are actually somewhat amusing and pretty enjoyable.

It's a crime that VAM is included in the list. He's tremendous and he is unique (something that makes a comedian looks like a good one).

i've actually enjoyed Charlie in some movies (dei managaa :lol:), Ganja karuppu is monotonous, but he had some plums lately, Santhanam is ok i guess although i've never seen anything special from him. Karunas is Gounder's body double, except the fact Gounder is eons better than him in every possible way. Suruli is very enjoyable.

YGM??? he's actually unfunny but i never considered him as a comedian either. I have always seen him as hero's amusing allakai (skv, murattu kalai, ellam inba mayam).

There are lot more horrifically unfunny ones in TF like half of vadivel's koshti (except Alwa Wasu, he's awesome). Cell Murugan, Vayyapuri etc..

Vayyapuri is the worst. Mannerism gra perula usher, p diddy rangeukku viral laye pala vittaigal pannuvar. Dhamu and Vayyapuri sentha en mokka, sema mokka than..

joe
30th March 2009, 12:49 PM
Plum,
அந்த காலத்துல தியாகராஜ பாகவதர் சூப்பர் ஸ்டாராம் .3 வருஷமெல்லாம் படம் ஓடிருக்கு .அவர் முகத்தை பார்க்கவே பெண்கள் கூட்டம் அலை மோதுமாம் .இப்போ அதே காட்சிகளை உங்களை பார்க்க விட்டால்.. காயாத கானகத்தே -ன்னு அவர் ஆரம்பிச்சவுடனே நீங்க எழும்பி ஓட மாட்டீங்க ? சுத்தமா என்னால ரசிக்க முடியல்ல-ன்னு இப்போ நீங்க சொல்லலாம் ..அது காலத்தின் கோலம் ..அது போல என்.எஸ்.கே நகைச்சுவை இப்போது உங்களுக்கு சிரிக்க தோன்றவில்லையெனில் அவர் குற்றமும் இல்லை ..உங்க குற்றமும் இல்லை ..காலத்தின் குற்றம்.

Plum
30th March 2009, 12:55 PM
Joe, fair enough. MKT varaikkum povanen - how many people of current gen will give the time of the day to even sivaji and MGR of the 70's? But the question I had was whether NSK's comedy(alone without his other hats) works for YOU now? I suppose yes, considering the posts you have made, but just had that question - confarm pannunga :-)

Plum
30th March 2009, 12:56 PM
Actually, MKT and his contemporaries have comedy value now - iva oodhina ava varuvaa is a legendary dialogue in my circles - though I suppose it was intended seriously :-)

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 01:00 PM
Among the black and white movies

Sbapathi is one movie which I found hilarious even for mokkai jokes...

"kada kada pada pada" is :lol:

viraajan
30th March 2009, 02:07 PM
vadivEl kooda suthikittE irupparE Muthu Kaala :hammer:

Mahaaaa mokkai... :banghead:

avaraiyum listula sEkkanum :yes:

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 02:07 PM
PR,
Nandru, nandri :)

It's a crime that VAM is included in the list. He's tremendous and he is unique (something that makes a comedian looks like a good one).

Appadi podunga :thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
30th March 2009, 02:09 PM
PR,
Nandru, nandri :)

Appadi podunga :thumbsup:

The last line of MMKR. When Roobini slides down the rope, Manorama warns her to be careful.

VAM: Kizhinjudhu po, idhula telungu veraiya :rotfl: :rotfl: He IS funny :yes:

groucho070
30th March 2009, 02:20 PM
//dig: MMKR
When he gives away his luggage.

VAM: Enakku romba worry-yaa irukku.
Kush: Worry-athengga appa! :lol:

VAM is certainly one of the best thing in MMKR. But then, the film has no bad things in it.

P_R
30th March 2009, 02:24 PM
VAM in SingaravElan

nee kumarippoNNA illai kumutti aduppA ? :lol:

joe
30th March 2009, 02:24 PM
But the question I had was whether NSK's comedy(alone without his other hats) works for YOU now? I suppose yes, considering the posts you have made, but just had that question - confarm pannunga :-)

இப்போது என்னால் பிரமாதமாக ஒண்ணும் சிரிக்க முடியவில்லை ..உண்மை தான் .ஆனால் அந்த கால கட்டத்தில் ஏன் மக்கள் சிரித்திருப்பார்கள் என்பதை என்னால் ஓரளவு ஊகிக்க முடிகிறது.

உதாரணம்...

"விஞ்ஞானத்தை வளர்க்க போறேண்டி.".பாடலில் உள்ள சில வரிகளை கொடுக்கிறேன்...

"பொஞ்சாதி புருஷன் இல்லாம புள்ளையும் குட்டியும் பொறக்குறாப்புல
விஞ்ஞானத்த வளர்க்க போறேண்டி."

"அஞ்ஞானத்தை அழிக்க போறேண்டி ,அணு சக்தியால ஆயுள்விருத்தி பண்ணப் போறேண்டி"

""நெல்லு குத்த மாவரைக்க நீர் எறைக்க மிஷினு
அல்லும் பகலும் ஆட்டி அரைக்க அதுக்கொரு மிஷினு"

"பள்ளிக்கூடத்துக்கு புள்ளைங்க போகாம படிக்க கருவி பண்ணியும் வைக்கணும்"

"பட்டுன தட்டிவிட்டா ரெண்டு தட்டில் இட்டிலி காபி நம்ப பக்கத்தில் வந்திடணும்."

இப்போ நீங்களும் நானும் இந்த விஞ்ஞான யுகத்தில் இதை கேட்டால் "என்னா இப்போ?" -ன்னு தான் சொல்லுவோம் .

ஆனா என்.எஸ்.கே இத எழுதி ,பாடி ,நடிச்ச கால கட்டத்துல இது மக்களின் கற்பனையில் கூட எட்டாதது மட்டுமல்ல ,காமெடியும் கூட ..எனவே அவர்கள் சிரித்திருப்பார்கள் என்பது தான் என் அனுமானம் .

ஆக ,இப்போது நமக்கெல்லாம் சிரிப்பு வரவில்லையென்பதற்காக அந்த கால மக்களின் நகைச்சுவை ஆராதிக்கும் திறனை குறைத்து மதிப்பிட முடியாது .

joe
30th March 2009, 03:06 PM
Expecting a Karuthu from PR also :)

Plum
30th March 2009, 03:07 PM
"இப்போது என்னால் பிரமாதமாக ஒண்ணும் சிரிக்க முடியவில்லை ..உண்மை தான் .ஆனால் அந்த கால கட்டத்தில் ஏன் மக்கள் சிரித்திருப்பார்கள் என்பதை என்னால் ஓரளவு ஊகிக்க முடிகிறது.
"
Oh, Joe, no doubt about that. I certainly dont mean that old-timers didnt have sense for comedy. Just that it doesnt work for me, avol dhaan. Indha cosmic sense-la, me is not even a millionth of a dot illaiya.
On 'vignanathai', indha thread-leye I posted few days back that it works for me! Certainly, I can see where he comes from - infact, it works for me without any qualifications about giving a time handicap. It works absolutely. That and Deiva Piravi still works for me. Nandhanar was a fine one, too - except that it works more as social commentary than as comedy for me.

Long and short is no I dont disrespect Kalaivaanar just because his comedy doesnt work for me most of the time - something I cannot say of Thangavelu - because comedy was his only suit.

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 03:18 PM
Joe,
Its not about underestimating the audiences' tastes. Isn't it simply a question of whether we (that is, we hubbers here) laugh or not? 15 years-ku appuram makkal Vadivel comedy-a paathu sirippaangala nu theriyadhu. Appadiye sirikkalennaalum it is understandable. Most humor is tied to the time (Charlie Chaplin madhiri exceptions um undu).
So, why does one have to qualify statements when he says Thangavelu or Vadivel or x.y is not funny? Matra vishayam na there is room for some debate, discussion, going into the context, reading stuff and then rewatching a movie might offer some insight one would have missed while watching the first time etc...
For example, a person who says NT or Kamal is overacting may be helped with pointers and stuff and made to see why he is 'wrong' or what he has missed. OTOH, humor appadi illai nu nenaikkaren. You just laugh or you don't.

Yesterday two of my colleagues were laughing their guts out quoting an utterly lame ass blade diaogue from a Crazy Mohan play. OTOH, i would :rotfl: to a lame dialogue like "Aadu nadandhudhu maadu nadandhudhu" etc... Appadiye varradhu dhaan.. Nobody is safe here, not even Nagesh, Kounder or Vadivelu, let alone Thangavelu

P.S: All this said, "having VAM is a blasphemy" is just a rant. So, one should not take the contradictions seriously :)

joe
30th March 2009, 03:35 PM
Plum,CR,
கிட்டத்தட்ட உங்கள் இருவரின் கருத்தையும் நான் ஏற்றுக்கொள்கிறேன் ..இப்போது இந்த விவாதத்திற்கு பின் காலம் கடந்து நான் உணர்ந்த ஒன்றை சொல்லியாக வேண்டும் ..'காமெடியன்' என்ற கூட்டில் என்.எஸ்.கே-வை சேர்க்காமல் இருப்பது நல்லது ..எனென்றால் காமெடியன்கள் பொதுவாக பரிகாசத்துக்குரிய காரியங்களை செய்பவர்களாகவே இருப்பார்கள் .என்.எஸ்.கே அப்படிப்பட்ட நகைச்சுவை பாணியை பின்பற்றியவர் அல்ல ..அவர் பரிகாசத்துக்குரியவராக இருந்த கதாபாத்திரங்களில் நடித்ததாக தெரியவில்லை ..சமுதாயத்தை ,பழக்க வழக்கங்களை மெலிதாக அவர் தான் பரிகசிப்பார் .. மற்றவர்களால் பரிகசிக்கப்படும் பாத்திரங்களில் அவர் கோமாளித்தனம் செய்து சிரிக்க வைத்ததாக தெரியவில்லை ..அவர் கதாபாத்திரங்கள் முழுநீள நகைச்சுவை பாத்திரங்கள் அல்ல .நகைச்சுவை மெலிதாக இளையோடும் பாத்திரங்கள் .அவ்வளவே !

எனவே முழுநீள காமெடியன் வரிசையில் என்.எஸ்.கே-வை வைத்திருப்பது நியாயமல்ல.

bingleguy
30th March 2009, 03:37 PM
..அவர் கதாபாத்திரங்கள் முழுநீள நகைச்சுவை பாத்திரங்கள் அல்ல .நகைச்சுவை மெலிதாக இளையோடும் பாத்திரங்கள் .அவ்வளவே !

எனவே முழுநீள காமெடியன் வரிசையில் என்.எஸ்.கே-வை வைத்திருப்பது நியாயமல்ல.

makes sense .... I second Joe ...

P_R
30th March 2009, 03:43 PM
Expecting a Karuthu from PR also :)

Who makes me laugh the most (at all) is the simple ruthless yardstick I wish to apply to comedians.

Charlie Chaplin is in the 30s still I laugh out loud. sari that falls into the apparently despicable category of 'physical humour'. Only recently I watched Groucho Marx's Duck Soup (1933). A sure :rotfl: movie. He makes an able case for himself without me having to give him any handicap over time or take into account his historic, technical relevance. In fact that is what annoys me about many Chaplin rasigars. Humanism, overarching philosoophy of the tramp, instilling the message of overall human goodness, he reflects the individual's spirit of freedom appidi ippidinnu theories. It feels like they are apologizing for laughing.

I don't know whether GM or Vadivelu will stand the test of time. Standing today I don't see how they will not. I think they will, particularly GM, as he is as 'human' as it gets. But there are no guarantees.

We enjoy yester-years' music without giving any handicap, we enjoy yesteryears' writers without any handicap, then why can't we be just as demanding with yesteryears' comedians ?

You will see yester-years' acting is also conspicuously absent in my enjoy-without-handicap.... I am already feeling many of Kamal's performances (which I used to enjoy) quite underwhelming when revisited. anyway.... adhu vEra panjAyaththu....

Plum
30th March 2009, 04:08 PM
Joe, yes, thats where I am coming from - if we lump NSK in the comedians list, then the evaluation will be accordingly done. If, as a mark of respect for his other achievements/contribution to the society (within and outside the film world), we want to avoid that sort of an evaluation, I fully understand. Continuing my practice of irrelevant-to-the-thread examples, it is like evaluating, say, Revathi or Savithri as a glamour doll - out of syllabus-nu vudaradhu dhaan better option :-)

Prabhuram - Groucho Marx - I have only read not seen him but what I read is enough to LOL - "Those are my principles, if you dont like it, I have others", "I'll not be part of any club which is willing to take me as a member". Enna profound humour!

VENKIRAJA
30th March 2009, 04:51 PM
//dign...
VR... sooper avatar! That building is awesome!//

viraajan
30th March 2009, 04:54 PM
//Thanks Venki :D //

rajasaranam
30th March 2009, 05:14 PM
We enjoy yester-years' music without giving any handicap, we enjoy yesteryears' writers without any handicap, then why can't we be just as demanding with yesteryears' comedians ?

You will see yester-years' acting is also conspicuously absent in my enjoy-without-handicap.... I am already feeling many of Kamal's performances (which I used to enjoy) quite underwhelming when revisited. anyway.... adhu vEra panjAyaththu....

Thinking about this!

It is something like this IMO - Literature & Arts (Even music) appeals to the intellect after the initial emotional connection we make with them, and hence we tend to appreciate or enhance our appreciation on them over the time. Sometimes music /Acting which does not appeal in the beginning may come back and hit us with greater force later when our knowledge is widened enough. (Nadigar Thilagam was such a force for me).So, I feel intellect plays an important part in the longevity of any Art.

I dont think 'Comedy' can be judged with the same yardstick. It predominately resides in the era which it was made and should connect by the ways of 'emotions' mostly. ( Arivu velai senja Sirikka mudiyaathu - exceptions irukku sila jokes'a arivupoorvamaan thaan rasikka mudiyum, But Iam trying to paint a larger picture). A parallel I could draw is on the kavarchi/Glamour/Sex Etc., in films of the bygone era. Antha kaalathula inthellaam vaaya polanthuttu paathiruppaangagrathey enakku ippa aacharyamaa irukku! But I can understand the social psyche then. And yes there are exceptions here too like a Chaplin for comedy or a Monroe for Glamour. But we wont be able to connect to everything in the same way due to the restriction that we cannot connect emotionally since we are not from the socio-political scenario of those times.

Puriyara mathiri ezhuthi irukkaennu ninaikkiaraen.

BTW I love NSK in Nallathambi. There are some scenes after he is brought into the Jamin building due to mistaken identity - the parody he makes over the lavishness and waste of money can be paralleled only by MRR or Gounder later. Enna Gounder and MRR needed konjam sound over the matter while a 'Mmmm Hmmmm...' was enough for NSK :notworthy:

rajasaranam
30th March 2009, 06:23 PM

Dig// Neenga Edutha Photo'vaaa? Entha Area? Similar voodu (http://pulikesi.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/residence09.jpg) one naan design pannen konjam varushangal munnadi //end Dig

Nerd
30th March 2009, 08:34 PM
Watched Saroja second time. Sathyama enakku Premji-ya paathu sirippu varala! First time kooda he was ok. Mirchi Siva in the other hand was excellent!

Chennai-28, Saroja rendu padmum college students stage play maadhri irrundhadhu. Oru thadava paatha sirippu varudhu, adhukku mela paatha mokkai maadhri thaan theriyudhu.
VayasaayittE pOgudhu :lol2:

Nerd
30th March 2009, 08:45 PM
Remu VKR and add kOvai saraLa ASAP. SL thaviRa she is mostly unfunny. Other female comedians anyone. I also find the super 10 fatso very unfunny.

VENKIRAJA
30th March 2009, 08:50 PM

Dig// Neenga Edutha Photo'vaaa? Entha Area? Similar voodu (http://pulikesi.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/residence09.jpg) one naan design pannen konjam varushangal munnadi //end Dig

Oh confused between Robie's house (http://www.usps.com/images/stamps/98/robie.jpg) and this. RS, neengaLum mEsthiriyA? nAma personal-A pEsuvOm...

VENKIRAJA
30th March 2009, 08:52 PM
Santhanam is quite okay, bearable to me. In Kaalai (6 times yA) he imitates VK, "aang! deebigA.. unakku nAn irukkEn" in his dreams on bed when simbu punches him. :lol: scene!

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 09:16 PM
Remu VKR and add kOvai saraLa ASAP. SL thaviRa she is mostly unfunny. Other female comedians anyone. I also find the super 10 fatso very unfunny.
Sachu heads the list. And that fat Sun TV ladies is in my acid list, so she should be easily waltzing into this list as well :evil:

Kovai Sarala is usually loud and annoying except SL (of course), Shahjahan and Karagattakkaaran and a V.Sekar movie or two. she is ultimate in the film with Puyal where she fixes him drinks, smiles when he blows smoke in her face :rotfl: Not sure if she should be in the list

littlemaster1982
30th March 2009, 09:18 PM
Actually I liked Kovai Sarala in 'Poovellam Kettupaar" too. I don't know if anyone else find her funny in that film though :oops:

joe
30th March 2009, 09:22 PM
Other female comedians anyone.

Urvasi ,but she is not just comedian.

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 09:24 PM
Actually I liked Kovai Sarala in 'Poovellam Kettupaar" too. I don't know if anyone else find her funny in that film though :oops:
Allow me to digress for a minute :)
KS: "idhu saadharna kutham illa"
Vivek: "pinna special saadha-va?" (vai kuthiya padi)
:rotfl: :rotfl2: Pinnacle of lollu :notworthy:

Sanjeevi
30th March 2009, 09:29 PM
Kovai Sarala was funnly in Sagadevan Magedevan

Nerd
30th March 2009, 09:33 PM
Sari KS veNdAm (As if our choices are going to matter. Ultimately it's NOV's choice. Nobody nominated thEngai for example). Sachu, definitely. She was unfunny even in kAdhalikka nEramillai. Urvasi though being monotonous is pretty good.

HonestRaj
30th March 2009, 09:36 PM
SS Chandran would be next.

:notthatway:
SS Chandran rocks, avaru vandhu palla kaatnaale podhum :lol:

:yes:

I liked his late 1980's political double meaning comedies :lol:

Also, in Vaa Arugil Vaa.. vaishnavi will be pregnant.. so other family members would say.. "medhuva nada.. kulungadhe"

SS.. kanakku pillai kind of role... oru aattam poatuttu solluvaru.. "yaru kulunguna enna kulungatti enna.. naama kulukkuvoam" (u need to see.. I think Raj TV has this film)

Then in Thangamani Rangamani / saga maha...... nadakkumpodhu thodayathatti thoalai kulukkura mannerism onnu pannuvaru :rotfl2:

Innum niraya irukku.. but ippodhaikku nyabagam illai.... he comes close to Gounder in terms of body language (IMO)

joe
30th March 2009, 09:40 PM
Another female comedian ,who comes in the 'veerapaandiya kattabomman' movie song "aathukulle oothu vetti" with comedian karunanithi ..She also had a Thangavelu combination in another movie ..She was actually funny. Forgot her name :(

complicateur
30th March 2009, 09:41 PM
A lot of people forget mApiLLai when it comes to S.S.Chandran. He is quite the riot as the comic half of the comic-villain duo with Vinu Chakravarthy. [Though VC is by far better than him].

P_R
30th March 2009, 09:49 PM
she is ultimate in the film with Puyal where she fixes him drinks, smiles when he blows smoke in her face :rotfl: Not sure if she should be in the list viralukkEththa veekkam

Door lock paNNu :rotfl:

In Thirupati Ezhumalai venkatesa climax the heros are stranded in nowhere. The heroine trio come in a jeep to save them and chase the villains. Vadivelu asks how they got the vehicle

KS: dha... climax-la kELvi ellAm kEkka koodaadhu..... vaNdiyila yEru :lol:

Roshan
30th March 2009, 09:59 PM

Bala post padichuttu nAn idha post paNNanumnu quote paNNumpOthu intha post'a pArthEn. To me that was her best. Was watching SL recently and found KS irritating in some places.

Senthil - for once we agree on something :P

Roshan
30th March 2009, 10:05 PM
Allow me to digress for a minute :)
KS: "idhu saadharna kutham illa"
Vivek: "pinna special saadha-va?" (vai kuthiya padi)
:rotfl: :rotfl2: Pinnacle of lollu :notworthy:

Adhu 'poovellAm un vAsam' (Ajith-Jyo) - but LM sonnathu PoovellAm kEttuppAr - Surya-Jyo - with crazy mohan dialogues. She was good in poovellAm un vaasam as well.

HonestRaj
30th March 2009, 10:07 PM
KoundaManikku pathila avarukku comedy ezuthina Veerappan vanthu ninnu vaasichiruntha pothum-nnu sollureengala?
Incredibly :rotfl: :thumbsup:

:notworthy: :lol:

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 10:07 PM
Oh :oops: "...aana prachanai onnu dhaan" :)

littlemaster1982
30th March 2009, 10:09 PM

Bala post padichuttu nAn idha post paNNanumnu quote paNNumpOthu intha post'a pArthEn. To me that was her best. Was watching SL recently and found KS irritating in some places.

Senthil - for once we agree on something :P

The credit goes to Kovai Sarala :lol:

Roshan
30th March 2009, 10:11 PM
Oh :oops: "...aana prachanai onnu dhaan" :)

:) But poovellAm kEttuppAr - maRathi doctor role - pinni iruppAnga.

HonestRaj
30th March 2009, 10:13 PM
Enakku aditionala Kumari Muthu Gnayapagam vanthuchu..avaru eppadi list-la?

No... he has many funny moments ....

pEr edukkAttiyum kedukkAma irungadA....self-save kiLikkiraanungaLAm
(The expression of 'testing-in-process' that preceeds this line) :lol:

:lol: (idhu namma aalu)

In that Manorama... "sami parikaram edhuvum pannuna.. kooduradhukku vaippu irukka" :lol:

HonestRaj
30th March 2009, 10:18 PM
ManiVannan ,R.sundarRajan ,Anu Mohan ,Manobala-llam entha list-la varranga?

I liked R SundarRajan's style of comedy.. oru vidha nakkal kalandhadhu.... but shines with someone like Gounder

Manivannan----- in Periya Idathu Mapillai climax..... to Gowtham & other fellow: "dei neenga edhuvum seyyalaithane.. ellam thanni oothi azhichachu.. dei ivanungalayum poattu adinga" (not exact, as usual)

Manivannan could have been a better Villain...... he shines in dialogues.. but no modulation .. ellam dhadikkullaye solli mudichuduvaru

joe
30th March 2009, 10:19 PM
:lol: (idhu namma aalu)

In Climax ..group photo ..

PhotoGrapher : Smile Pls
Bhagyaraj to Kumarimuthu :Appa ,sirippa.

Kumari Muthu : :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 10:19 PM
Kumari muthu is funny.

teacher training arivazhagan

kumarimuthu :"andha teachera en idhayathula padama varanju vechurundhen"

VAM :"mundam..unaku suvathulaye olunga padam varaya theriyadhu ...idhayathula kilicha"

venniradai moorthy is far from being unfunny. :lol:

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 10:20 PM
Kumarimuthu is very good in a movie where Vignesh is the hero and Vadivel and 2 others are his friends.. "Velai"?

Raikkonen
30th March 2009, 10:26 PM
Manivannan-na yaaru nominate panrathu??? :twisted: he's incredibly funny. He is probably my second fav behind Gounder, (VAM is distant third if you want to know)..

he was awesome in many late 90's movies. Ninaithen vanthai, suryavamsam to name a few..

in budget padmanaban..

vivek: hi baggage, hi luggage
mani: poda drainage..

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :notworthy:

joe
30th March 2009, 10:28 PM

:rotfl:

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 10:29 PM
M

actually its this style of comedy which sounds to me so unfunny from vivek :oops:

jaiganes
30th March 2009, 10:33 PM
I found YGM in 'Illam' (IV sasi directed movie with Sivakumar and Amala) to be absolutely funny. He had a wife who had the curious habit of mixing all the four south indian languages plus hindi in one sentence (some affliction I too possess).
In a scene where mayilsaamy gounder creates a ruckus in Amala's house, as concerned neighbours YGM and his wife watch on and as Sivakumar's ravusu continues in chaste kongu thamizh, YGM's multi language wife is confused and she asks
'woh kya bolta'
to which YGM responds in his wife's usual way
with irritation..
'Woh Ravi shastri bowltha'..

However the funniest part in the movie belonged to the usually stoic and sad faced chandrasekhar (who for a change did not have to play a bearded beggar or a union leader of a locked out factory) who plays a police inspector who covets Amala and that amazing Raaja song 'Nandavanam poothirukkudhu' - his antics were rip roaring.

HonestRaj
30th March 2009, 10:34 PM
M

actually its this style of comedy which sounds to me so unfunny from vivek :oops:

sometimes its likeable.. but mostly indha rhyming words-than

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 10:35 PM
M

sometimes its likeable.. but mostly indha rhyming words-than

yes...

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 10:39 PM
'Woh Ravi shastri bowltha'..

complicateur
30th March 2009, 11:06 PM
However the funniest part in the movie belonged to the usually stoic and sad faced chandrasekhar (who for a change did not have to play a bearded beggar or a union leader of a locked out factory) who plays a police inspector who covets Amala and that amazing Raaja song 'Nandavanam poothirukkudhu' - his antics were rip roaring.
A lot of credit must go to the original (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTIOISZRD0) - sanmanasuLLavarkku samAthAnam.

jaiganes
31st March 2009, 01:00 AM
@complicateur - I think casting chandrasekhar in the role is a 'cake and cherry taker' move.

thamizhvaanan
31st March 2009, 01:23 AM
Manivannan-na yaaru nominate panrathu??? :twisted: he's incredibly funny. He is probably my second fav behind Gounder, (VAM is distant third if you want to know)..

I wouldn't prefer VAM as third eventhough I loved a lot of his screen appearances. VAM is truly unique and incredibly funny both in his timing and voice modulation.

And who brought in Kovai sarala va ellam epdi inga kondu varalaam!! There is seldom any adequate screenspace for female comedians and I think she has done very well in a lot of movies. The way she asks "ennnna" to vadivelu in Maayi... :lol:

And also the ramanarayanan movie with Ramki and vivek... she and VAM stole the screen.. anda padathula vivek a oru side comedian nu kooda sollalaam.

jaiganes
31st March 2009, 02:14 AM
I am surprised that Ganja karuppu is getting away coolly. Even I voted straight out of repulsion - SSC. Looking back , I remember myself to be laughing like crazy to SSC in Sahadevan Mahadevan, Mappillai etc., Ganja Karuppu - except Raam he has come across as a perfect 'location artiste' (south side dialect needed, Ganja Karuppu cast - Mission Accomplished).

Nerd
31st March 2009, 04:12 AM
Daglas annana pudikkalayO ungaLukku?!

littlemaster1982
31st March 2009, 05:24 AM
Douglas: Ippa unakku sandhoshamaa :lol:

Most of the comedians mentioned here are good if utilised properly. Appadiyum theraadha case onnu rendu irukku :|

NOV
31st March 2009, 07:06 AM
Sari KS veNdAm (As if our choices are going to matter. Ultimately it's NOV's choice. Nobody nominated thEngai for example). :hammer: :hammer:
Someone must have mentioned him.
Anyway, eventual choice is Hubbers as is evident in the votes. :roll:
pls give names to replace VKR and TS.

Urvasi though being monotonous is pretty good. :hammer: :hammer:
she is natural born comic. :P

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 07:26 AM
I am surprised that Ganja karuppu is getting away coolly. Even I voted straight out of repulsion - SSC. Looking back , I remember myself to be laughing like crazy to SSC in Sahadevan Mahadevan, Mappillai etc., Ganja Karuppu - except Raam he has come across as a perfect 'location artiste' (south side dialect needed, Ganja Karuppu cast - Mission Accomplished).

absolutely!

bimmer
31st March 2009, 11:02 AM
IMO SSC would top the list..YGM Is funny in some instances...Ganja Karuppu would follow, I have never laughed at his sterotype performance except for Raam in which he did great...

bimmer
31st March 2009, 11:05 AM

Exactly...SSC and Ganja Karuppu are a sheer irritation..

I don't remember the movie in which SSC and Kovai sarala dance :oops: :oops: like MGR...what the heck...I just cannot tolerate his teeth :evil: :evil:

joe
31st March 2009, 11:26 AM
I just cannot tolerate his teeth :evil: :evil:
ஏதோ உங்களை வந்து கடிச்சு வச்ச மாதிரி சொல்லுறீங்க :lol:

groucho070
31st March 2009, 11:39 AM
ஏதோ உங்களை வந்து கடிச்சு வச்ச மாதிரி சொல்லுறீங்க :lol: :lol:

You just gave an idea for a horror movie. Yavarum Meals.

equanimus
31st March 2009, 01:51 PM
ஏதோ உங்களை வந்து கடிச்சு வச்ச மாதிரி சொல்லுறீங்க :lol: :lol:

You just gave an idea for a horror movie. Yavarum Meals.
:lol: *Fantastic* title, Groucho!

Roshan
31st March 2009, 01:53 PM
Sari KS veNdAm (As if our choices are going to matter. Ultimately it's NOV's choice. Nobody nominated thEngai for example). :hammer: :hammer:

I want Premji in the list.

P_R
31st March 2009, 01:58 PM
Hub's comedian of the year and then on the unfunny comedians list eh ? Nice try.

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 01:59 PM

rejetted....

next :huh:

viraajan
31st March 2009, 02:04 PM

:hammer: :hammer:

viraajan
31st March 2009, 02:05 PM
MuthukAlai, Scissors Manohar :yes:

P_R
31st March 2009, 02:08 PM
Scissor Manohar is not a full timer so won't be counted. Plus he can be excused for the thuLLi thirindha kaalam scene boomAdEvi secretary scene

Dasavatharam

Kamal: neenga oru genius
Scissor to Crane: naan sollalai... :lol:

P_R
31st March 2009, 02:12 PM
MuthukAlai can be damn funny

Ramakrishna
Charlie: Naan unakku enda paNNEn
MK: evvaLavO paNNitirukkeenga

And of course in EPKM
MK: seththu seththu viLayAduvOmA ?
VV: enna dA kadadi viLayAda koopidura maadhiri koopudure ?

MK: seththadhai koodavA marappAga :rotfl:

Everyday near vadapazhani temple I see a palmist sitting in the platform. Full shirt, tie etc and a painted viboothi tri-stripe with a vel shape in between. I am always reminded of

MK: idhu vivudhi illai.... namma kambEni muththirai :lol2:

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 02:15 PM
Scissor Manohar is not a full timer so won't be counted. Plus he can be excused for the thuLLi thirindha kaalam scene boomAdEvi secretary scene

Dasavatharam

Kamal: neenga oru genius
Scissor to Crane: naan sollalai... :lol:

viraajan
31st March 2009, 02:17 PM
"Scissor Manohar is not a full timer so won't be counted." - Valid point. :oops: irundhAlum, avar pandradhu ellam suthamA pAkka mudiyala... adhAn suggested :lol:

muthukAlai - :oops: Seriously, I found that "sethu sethu vilayAduvOmA" comedy irritating. :)

But "boomadevi" comedy of Scissors :rotfl2:

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 02:21 PM
wats ppl's opinion about Suruli Rajan .... :roll: ?

joe
31st March 2009, 02:25 PM
Premji muthalla comedian list-laye kidayathu :huh: appuram enga unfunny-la add pannurathu :roll:

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 02:26 PM
neenga konjam muthalla irunthu padikureengalaa :lol2:

joe
31st March 2009, 02:26 PM
Scissor Manohar is not a full timer so won't be counted.

Premji oru 40 padathula full time comedy panniyirukkara? :roll:

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 02:29 PM

mannikkanum TM :-) nAn gavanikkala ..... idukkAga oru thread la 94 vadhu page la oru input kodukkanum nnu aasai padaravanga ... 93 page aiyum padichu varradhu :roll: konjam kashtam dAn ;) ennamO ponga :-)

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 02:30 PM
Scissor Manohar is not a full timer so won't be counted.

Premji oru 40 padathula full time comedy panniyirukkara? :roll:

athaan solraaru :roll: pannathe rendu padamo moonu padamo.. athukull funny comedians or unfunny comedians list la poada vaendiya avasiyam illayae :roll:

ippoathaikku avar panna comedies pidikuthu, pidikala intha level la thaan paesanum :roll:

groucho070
31st March 2009, 02:31 PM
Premji muthalla comedian list-laye kidayathu :huh: appuram enga unfunny-la add pannurathu :roll: As you put it succinctly, Pandu Jr. With Pandu-esque facial contortion he resorts to, I guess he has to satisfy by being side-comedian.

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 02:32 PM

mannikkanum TM :-) nAn gavanikkala ..... idukkAga oru thread la 94 vadhu page la oru input kodukkanum nnu aasai padaravanga ... 93 page aiyum padichu varradhu :roll: konjam kashtam dAn ;) ennamO ponga :-)

athukaaga, naanga thirumba thirumba ovvorutharukku opinions koduthu innum pages increase panni, vaera yaaraavathu oruthar ungala maathiri comment koduthu, athukku thirumbavum intha maathiri naan reply pannaa paravaa illayaa :evil: :huh: :P

joe
31st March 2009, 02:33 PM
Premji muthalla comedian list-laye kidayathu :huh: appuram enga unfunny-la add pannurathu :roll: As you put it succinctly, Pandu Jr. With Pandu-esque facial contortion he resorts to, I guess he has to satisfy by being side-comedian.

Where is the party song aarampikkum pothu vanthu ennamo pannuvaare..enna athu? :roll: athukkum Vizhunthu purandu sirikka oru koottam irukkum pola :wink:

groucho070
31st March 2009, 02:35 PM
athukaaga, naanga thirumba thirumba ovvorutharukku opinions koduthu innum pages increase panni, vaera yaaraavathu oruthar ungala maathiri comment koduthu, athukku thirumbavum intha maathiri naan reply pannaa paravaa illayaa :evil: :huh: :P :lol:

Pala thread ippadi thaaney oodikittirukku. Setha kuthirayai marupadi marupadiyum adikkiramaathiri.

P_R
31st March 2009, 02:37 PM
Joe, 40 padam-A !!!
remba strict entry requirement-A irukkE

I have seen only these two films, in both cases he was one of a gang and - dare I say - funny.

Pandu.... idhai naan vanmaiyA kaNdikkarEn. Nothing wrong with facial contortions as such : like the sillarai scene in Ch-28. But he is much more than that:

The scene in Chennai-28 where iLavarasu replies seriously to the offer to play and Premgi closes the scene :lol:

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 02:37 PM

athukaaga, naanga thirumba thirumba ovvorutharukku opinions koduthu innum pages increase panni, vaera yaaraavathu oruthar ungala maathiri comment koduthu, athukku thirumbavum intha maathiri naan reply pannaa paravaa illayaa :evil: :huh: :P

joe
31st March 2009, 02:40 PM
PR,
Tamil cinema history-la comedians 50 per list pannina kooda athula Premji qualify aaga maattar ,IMO..I rest my case.

P_R
31st March 2009, 02:43 PM
romba baadhikkappatturukkeenga-nnu theriyudhu :-)

groucho070
31st March 2009, 02:45 PM
One thing for sure, Gounder fans are pretty split when it comes to this thread.

joe
31st March 2009, 02:50 PM

You enjoy Premji ,I agree he can be funny too in few scenes ..But why so much hype ?

4 padam nadikkala ..athula paathi mokkai ..Thangavelu rejected -am ..ivaru selected-am ..This is too much. :huh:

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 02:53 PM

You enjoy Premji ,I agree he can be funny too in few scenes ..But why so much hype ?

4 padam nadikkala ..athula paathi mokkai ..Thangavelu rejected -am ..ivaru selected-am ..This is too much. :huh:

vaasthava maana paechu :P

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 02:56 PM
ethana padam nadicha enna? Who is funnier dhaan pechu.. sirippu varudha illiya? matter over :)

joe
31st March 2009, 02:58 PM
ethana padam nadicha enna? Who is funnier dhaan pechu.. sirippu varudha illiya? matter over :)

100 padam nadichavan 1 padathula funny-a illaina Reject.

1 padam nadichavan antha oru padathula funny-a iruntha selected.

- For All time list.

Nalla logic :roll:

P_R
31st March 2009, 03:00 PM
Too much hype.... yeah agree. Surely he's not the next biggest thing.
Not always funny - surely agree... many dull moments
He may prove to be a humourless dud in the years to come.

But in his two movies if I count the number of laughs I have had thanks to him it would significantly outnumber what Thangavelu managed to produce.

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 03:00 PM

appadi paartha, inga mokkai vote poadapattirukkura ellaarum few movies layaavathu funny yaa irunthirupaanga :huh:

Super star listla Kamal, Sivaji mention pannaama thukkada pasanagala ellaam mention panrappa vara maathiri kovam thaane ithuvum :)

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 03:02 PM

- For All time list.

Joe,
Idha thaan solla vandhen

But in his two movies if I count the number of laughs I have had thanks to him it would significantly outnumber what Thangavelu managed to produce.

P_R
31st March 2009, 03:02 PM

- For All time list.

Logic appidi illai Joe.. ippidi

100 padam nadichavan 1 padathula kooda funny-A illai
2 padam nadichavan 1 padathula funny-A irundhaan.. ini vara ellA padathulayum mokkaiyai pOttaalum, he will beat the first guy

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 03:06 PM
Super star listla Kamal, Sivaji mention pannaama thukkada pasanagala ellaam mention panrappa vara maathiri kovam thaane ithuvum :)
I have already said why in my opinion, humor is different from how we "judge", perceive or appreciate other things... PR um theliva sollirukkaaru what he thinks about humor. It all boils down to whether you laugh or you don't. If somebody says "Sam Anderson acts better than Kamal" i will be either laughing or outraged. However, if someone says "Suruli Rajan is better than Vadivel" i would be ok with it... (both are subjective, still...)

To explain further, i find it extremely strange that many Kounder fans here are :rotfl: to what i think as completely non-funny scenes or lines. Others may think the same if i were to :rotfl: for a seemingly mokkai line from Puyal. OTOH, you wont find too many people disagreeing with NT's performance in Gauravam, for e.g. One can even refine, revise opinions by revisiting. aana, Somehow, humor is different ...

Besides, the super star argument is a completely different ball game because there we are talking about facts - whether you or i like it or not, number of fans, hits, theatre festivities etc are not going to change. They are facts...

groucho070
31st March 2009, 03:07 PM
PR, kittathatta ethanai KAT padam paarthirupeengga. You find none funny? :shock:

joe
31st March 2009, 03:12 PM

- For All time list.

2 padam nadichavan 1 padathula funny-A irundhaan.. ini vara ellA padathulayum mokkaiyai pOttaalum, he will beat the first guy

Rubish ,If you are talking about Thangavelu and Premji ,IMO

No point in discussing further.

joe
31st March 2009, 03:14 PM
CR,
Just one straight question to you.

If we list All time 20 comedians in Tamil cinema,Thangaveli will be out of list and Premji will be in ..Do you agree or not?

P_R
31st March 2009, 03:15 PM
PR, kittathatta ethanai KAT padam paarthirupeengga. You find none funny? :shock:

KalyAna parisu
alibAbA-vum 40 thirudargaLum
aduththa veettu peN
thEn nilavu
pArthAl pasi theerum
thillAna mOhanAmbAL
galatta kalyAnam

right down to...

manaivi ready

I have not seen aRivALi which is supposed to be his best

As I said, sirikkakkoodaadhunnu kangaNam kattittA ukkAndhiruppAnga.... he at best manages a slight smile ("ungaLukkum mAmA-va" :D in the first confrontation scene in TM). Not once have I been beside myself laughing.

And I also offered a diagnosis that it is perhaps his style that I find unfunny - that dwelling beyond the joke with a drawl

Eg.

CK Sarswathy: dei suruLi
KAT: avan dhaan 8 maNikku suruNduttAnE (joke ends here but KAT continues).. avanappOi suruLinnA

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 03:19 PM
CR,

If we list All time 20 comedians in Tamil cinema,Thangaveli will be out of list and Premji will be in ..Do you agree or not?
All Time 20 for whom? Me?
Number ellam theriyadhu, the straight answer from me is i have laughed more for Premji than TV (i might not be exposed to most of his works, but from what ive seen only "Mannar and Co" worked) - idhu eppadinga yen kutham aagum? :twisted: sirikkumbodhu yosichu mudivedutha sirikkarom?

P_R
31st March 2009, 03:22 PM
Naan indha thread oru samanilaikku vandhadhum innum periya guNdu oNNai pOdalaamnu paaththaa... idhuvE konja naaL pOgum pOla irukkE :lol2:

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 03:22 PM
sila vishayangaLai compare panna mudiyAdhE :huh: adE mAdiri sila perai compare pannradhu correct aa match AgAdhu ... IMO :roll:

joe
31st March 2009, 03:23 PM
CR,

Number ellam theriyadhu, the straight answer from me is i have laughed more for Premji than TV (i might not be exposed to most of his works, but from what ive seen only "Mannar and Co" worked) - idhu eppadinga yen kutham aagum? :twisted: sirikkumbodhu yosichu mudivedutha sirikkarom?

Sorry..I expected just one word answer.

I think i have mistaken this thread is about 'All time unfunny comedians" ,but now understand it is just based on one generation's exposure..

I don't understand why NSK ,Thangavelu etc are brought here.

Bye ..Bye.

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 03:23 PM
Naan indha thread oru samanilaikku vandhadhum innum periya guNdu oNNai pOdalaamnu paaththaa... idhuvE konja naaL pOgum pOla irukkE :lol2:

//PR :-) idu 10000 wala ;-) neenga konjam turnukku wait pannanum

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 03:25 PM
inga evvalavu periya ranakalam nadakuthu.. ithellaam paththi kavala padaama, konja paer oru thread la kaalaa kaalathukkum ore maathiri mokka poattu sirichuttu irukaangalae.. :confused2:

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 03:27 PM
CR,

I think i have mistaken this thread is about 'All time unfunny comedians" ,but now understand it is just based on one generation's exposure..

Bye ..Bye.

cmon joe :-) neengaLe ippadi sollalAmA .... its definitely not based on a single generation knowledge .... avar siricha instances vechu solrAru ... may be if hes exposed to more Thangavelu - he might have a different opinion or may be still he sticks to his - either way comparison doesnt work here .....

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 03:29 PM
inga evvalavu periya ranakalam nadakuthu.. ithellaam paththi kavala padaama, konja paer oru thread la kaalaa kaalathukkum ore maathiri mokka poattu sirichuttu irukaangalae.. :confused2:

//makkalukkulla friction nna ;-) MOD kitta pogalaam ...
MOD kkullaye friction nna yAr kitta pogardhu

P_R
31st March 2009, 03:30 PM
adE mAdiri sila perai compare pannradhu correct aa match AgAdhu

During my school days fanning a rumour pairing up a boy with a girl, was known by the somewhat curious English-Tamil expression : 'compare paNNuradhu'. How the hell that would that be a 'comparison' puzzled the linguist in me. Went with the flow then though. This sentence triggered the memory.

P_R
31st March 2009, 03:34 PM
Regarding exposure I surely wouldn't say I am underexposed to ThangavElu.
As Bala said, idhukkellAm naangaLA poRuppu... sirikkiradhu sindhanaikku munnAdi nadappadhu.

btw MR Radha, Nagesh ellAm click aagurappO naanga enna generation ?

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 03:36 PM
CR,

Bye ..Bye.
Yes, *timely* exposure/generation are the key words. adha thaane ithana nerama sollitrukkom :huh: Adutha generation, for example, might just not laugh at Vadivel, why should that be a "problem"?
I don't get it :roll:

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 03:37 PM

During my school days fanning a rumour pairing up a boy with a girl, was known by the somewhat curious English-Tamil expression : 'compare paNNuradhu'. How the hell that would that be a 'comparison' puzzled the linguist in me. Went with the flow then though. This sentence triggered the memory.

:-) it was never meant to be ideally ;-) still the expression got its expected response though :P ;-) in your days

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 03:40 PM

:lol: "Correct panradhu", "sentiment", are also equally annoying

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
31st March 2009, 03:40 PM
Premji muthalla comedian list-laye kidayathu :huh: appuram enga unfunny-la add pannurathu :roll:

thalaiver ippothan sonnaar, nalla padam accept pannanum, ketta padam reject pannanum enru. ithai artist ngalukkum seyyalaam.

IMO, premji moottina microscopic alavu kichukichu vida, innam kooda per theriyaatha aana mugam parichayamaana palappala comedians oda acting 100 times better nnu solluven...

ithula oru real comedy ennanna, premji yai directors sariyaa use pannikkalainnu avar annan director varthappaduraar. unamyil, ithu thaan enna kodumai saar ithu!!!

ch-28 la padam muzukka intha dialogai oru kazuthai vanthu sollirunthaalum athu popular aagirukkum

not only premji, innum plar, like jeyam ravi, ect oru identity illaamalye establish aairukkaanga. ithu thaan kodumai. ivangalukku sonthamaa oru sarakkum kedayaathu, not only bulding, bust basementum weakku. eppo venaalum buss aagalaam

oru vadivelu, oru vivek, ennikkaavathu director ennai sariaa use pannalainnu varutha pattruppaanglaa?!?!? avingakitta sontha sarakku ekkachakkam. avanga trend setters. premji yellaam hardcore example for mokkai.

atleast santhaanam kooda oru identty create panninaar, athuvum lollu sabaa layee..

premji selected, thangavelu rejected , what naanssense

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 03:47 PM

way of speech .... unanimously spoken ;-) but outright rejection on the language front :-) ... this is a known fact when it comes to speaking this way... hehehe

thamizhvaanan
31st March 2009, 03:47 PM
As Bala said, idhukkellAm naangaLA poRuppu... sirikkiradhu sindhanaikku munnAdi nadappadhu.

:lol: Sometimes sindhanaiku pinnadiyum siripu varum :P

PKS: kathaadi ku kooda thaa vaal irukku.. adhanaala korangu parakum'nu solluviya

IMO, premji ellam comedian alla. His characterization was funny and he has got the looks to look funny.. avlo thaan. Ya I did laugh at some of the scenes, but I think anybody could have fitted in.

joe
31st March 2009, 03:50 PM
Sakala,
Actually ,I made this blunder made others to compare Thangavelu with Premji ..I shouldn't have done this kodumai to Thangavelu :(

I didn't bother if this happened to somebody like Karunanithi (comedian) in his era ..But Thangavelu :lol:

Enna pannuRathu ..Naalaike oru padathula super-a nadicha Paruthiveeran Kaarthi is better actor than kamal Hassan ,who has done some duds like mangamma sapatham -nnu sonna naama kopapadama irukkanum ..I have to prepare for that . :(

thamizhvaanan
31st March 2009, 03:51 PM
Vivasayi... naan type panitu irukum podhey neenga post panniteenga :D

Santhanam and Chinni jeyanth were incredibly funny in Sagala ragala.. but when Santhanam went on to do lollu sabha.. i felt irritated very often.. especially moochu pidichu izhuthu izhuthu pesradha ketta... dialogue thamasha irundha kooda sirika thonadhu. His entry into films... adhey case :-|

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
31st March 2009, 04:05 PM
Enna pannuRathu ..Naalaike oru padathula super-a nadicha Paruthiveeran Kaarthi is better actor than kamal Hassan ,who has done some duds like mangamma sapatham -nnu sonna naama kopapadama irukkanum ..I have to prepare for that . :(

karpanai varatchi??? or nammaloda over expectation and looking at short term success???

//digg

oru ponnu miss world aana udane, ella ponnungalum kelamburaanga, cosmetics business sales touches crores, oru ponnu tennis la vanthaa pala ponnunga kelamburaanga, oru sachin vanthaal athai paarthu evlo inspirations, cricket bat, blue t-shirt sales shoot up

aanaa oru ARR oscar win panninga, guitar sales athigamaaguthaa?? music class join pannuravanga athigamaaraangalaa??

intha karpanai varatchi kooda, premji maathiri oru lumpen arstist per vaanga dam tharuthu(to certain extent)

//end digg

oru diff btw a lots of comedians whose name not known but face familiar is, ivar per premji nnu namakku theriyum, avanga per theriyaathu. avlothaan

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 04:06 PM

Plum
31st March 2009, 04:17 PM
"
Not fair Joe. Thangavelu orutharai dhaane sonnom - Karunas, Ganja Karuppu-nu current generation is well represented in accused list here. Andha kaalathu aalu orutharai kooda solla koodadhunna epdi?
Neengale order pannunga - Nagesh, Chandrababu, MRR(part time), Baliah(Part time), Thangavelu.
Baliah sirikka vecha alavukku kooda Thangavelu pannadhilliye enakku - is it any different for you?

jaaze
31st March 2009, 04:22 PM
Reserved 1 - 4 vote
Reserved 2 - 1 vote
:roll:

yaaru ivanga? :huh:

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 04:23 PM
Joe,
By the by, have to mention this: Generation nu solreengale, even though i have the generation "handicap" or gap or whatever, yerkanave sonna madhiri, i find Charlie Chaplin and Nadigavel funny... So?

Plum
31st March 2009, 04:23 PM
Joe, I think I would reject Premji as a contestant for this list for the same reason we reject Muthukalai, Bailvan Ranganathan, Pandu etc. What do people think? That this is a kaamasoma list that any comedian can walk into? Indha list-la varave oru thagudhi venum - Premji-ellam limited sample size - we cant definitely include him any list - funny or unfunny - yet.

Indha comparison-ai vuttuttu, why shouldnt Thangavelu be in this list ahead of Vivek, Vadivelu, Goundamani-nu sollunga? Isnt that the right comparison to make?

Plum
31st March 2009, 04:39 PM
I think modhalla we should create a short list of contestants; In my opinion, following is the list of main comedians in TF history who can be considered:
NSK, Thangavelu, Nagesh, Chandrababu, Thengai, Suruli, YGM, SSC, Janagaraj, Koundamani, Senthil, Vivek, Vadivelu. Santhanam, Ganja Karuppu, Karunas ellam have created a significant body of mokkai work-ngaradhala avangalai include pannalam.
VA moorthy, VKR, charlie pondravanga even though no history as mainstream comedian, make it through longevity.
Idhula, Nagesh, CB, GM, Thengai, Vivek, Vadivelu can be surely unconsidered given their record. We excuse NSK as not in the comedians category. VKR was removed due to popular request here.
That leaves

Modhalla, indha listla add panna koodiya competitors yaaru? Adhai decide pannuvom.
Thangavelu, Suruli, YGM, SSC, Janagaraj, Senthil, Santhanam, Ganja Karuppu, Karunas
Idhula Suruli, YGM, SSC, Santhanam, GK, Karunas are popular candidates for unfunny.
That leaves Thangavelu, Janagaraj and Senthil . Idhula Senthil surely will get Hubber's support to be removed from this list.
Meedhi rendu perum en indha list-la vara koodadhunu case file pannunga respective supporters:

equanimus
31st March 2009, 04:40 PM
I think we should have a guest nomination for Prashanth here. If not for anything else, for his mindblowingly unfunny ferfarmance in Winner. Ouch, all that coolness.

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 04:43 PM
vaiyapuri aatathukku sethiya illaya?

Plum
31st March 2009, 04:59 PM
eq, pls to fill in the nomination form
Here's the format
Candidate Name:
No. of Films as main comedian/ No. of years as side-mokkai comedian:
Significant mokkai achivements: atleast 3 instances of singularly unfunny attempt at comedy
Strike rate: rough estimate of the ratio of actual funny instances vs total no. of films as comedian (rough estimate will do). Poor strike rate will only be considered

For people wishing to remove anyone from list, here's un-nomination list:
name:
significant funny pieces: atleast 3 instances where said comedian made YOU laugh uncontrollably. Subjectivity accepted.
strike rate: rough estimate of the ratio of actual funny instances vs total no. of films as comedian (rough estimate will do). If strike rate here is accepted widely to be too good, then we can remove this person from the list

(Innum oru sombu, aala maram kediaca nattamai character-ave maaridalam!)

Plum
31st March 2009, 05:00 PM
vivasayi, pls to fill in nomination form :-)

P_R
31st March 2009, 05:03 PM

FOr long I thought it was a curiosity restricted to my school/area etc. I was proved wrong when I watched the movie where Sathyarah comes as the old dada who falls in louu with a college girl. The heroine's boyfriend teases her about it and she complains: "nee kooda andha aaLOda ennai 'compare' panra"

I was like WTH !!! Now don't tell me that expression has managed to enter popular lingo now !!

joe
31st March 2009, 05:42 PM
Andha kaalathu aalu orutharai kooda solla koodadhunna epdi?

I didn't bother if this happened to somebody like Karunanithi (comedian) in his era ..But Thangavelu :lol:

joe
31st March 2009, 05:51 PM
Indha comparison-ai vuttuttu, why shouldnt Thangavelu be in this list ahead of Vivek, Vadivelu, Goundamani-nu sollunga? Isnt that the right comparison to make?

Yes! I don't find it absurd if Present generation rejects Thangavelu against Vivek,Vadivelu,Gounder ..because they have achived more than what thangavelu achived during his era ..But Premji (You already said clearly how worthy he is ) win over Thangavelu .. That i feel it is far from something i can digest. :sigh2:

Not that I rate Thangavelu as greatest ,But giving so much credit to some undeserved one and rejecting a geniune artist is absurd.

bingleguy
31st March 2009, 06:04 PM
I think we should have a guest nomination for Prashanth here. If not for anything else, for his mindblowingly unfunny ferfarmance in Winner. Ouch, all that coolness.

:2thumbsup:

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 06:05 PM
idhoda nooravadhu thadavaya soldren

Thangavelu is one of the best we have had and one of the very few comedians who evoke laughter even in this era.

Plum
31st March 2009, 06:14 PM
viv, joe: understand the sentiments(aanalum periya sentiment semmalu-nu oruthar ullara irundhu koovarar :-) ). But the thing is let's eliminate these premjis etc. Let's consider the main comedian list: as I said, it has to be thangavelu or VV or Vivek or GM or Chandrababu or Nagesh - indha list-la en feeling is Thangavelu will come last as a humourist. This is important distinction because a person winning this poll should be worthy and the net conclusion is among the main comedians, this person is the unfunny one. This doesnt mean that he is unfunnier than muthukalai, premji, pandu, omakuchi etc. If you can digest that and pit TV against Nagesh, CB, VV, Vivek and GM, then you can see where we are coming from

This is the direction I think is the right way to go in this thread - indha minor comedians-laam kondu vandhu distract pandrangappa!

rajasaranam
31st March 2009, 06:15 PM
idhoda nooravadhu thadavaya soldren

Thangavelu is one of the best we have had and one of the very few comedians who evoke laughter even in this era.

PR, Bala Ellam romba nerama sollitu irukraanga avar kichukichu mootta kooda layakku illainnu. prove pannunga! entha padathula avar adicha 'Danaal' joke ungallukku pudichu irunthathunnu. Gounder jokes mattum vilavaariya ezhuthreenga illa ithaiyum ezhuthi thelivu paduthunga avangalukku (Enakkum thaan I dont remember much of his jokes apart from 'Mannar & Co' :D - which justly evokes my laughter thinking about it )

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 06:31 PM
plum,

ok ...from the main comedian list - i would select chandrababu over thangavelu - YGM would come under the main comedian list - if so he is the MAN.

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 06:36 PM
rajasaranam,

dialogueslam nyabagathuku varla :oops:

apdiye kashtapattu kandupidichu adichalum adhuku mathavanga sirikanume

joe asked me in kavunders thread "whats funny in this line"..andha madhirithan..its was like "idhukellam kooda siripeengala"

anbe sivamla soldra maadhiri

varudhE

pr tayum balatayum .." neengalum muyarchi pannunga varum apdina solla mudiyum

Plum
31st March 2009, 06:37 PM
ofcourse, YGM would be in that main comedian list. YGM gold-medal assured. SSC silver medal assured. We are just looking at finalisng the other 8 contestants for the third prize. The poll already has Charlie, GK, Karunas, Suruli, Santhanam, VAM. Innum rendu position irukku for nomination. So, let's say, the contestants for these 2 positions are:
Thangavelu, Chandrababu(Viv's nomination), Janagaraj, Kovai Sarala, Senthil(stretching it a bit here). Are there any more contestants? Pls dont say vaiyapuri, pandu et al? Avanga ellam indha list-leye vara padadhu.
Indha contestant list-ai modhall decide pannittu appuram we'll decide 2 out of them as the final nominations, okay?

Raikkonen
31st March 2009, 06:40 PM
yaruppa reserved ku ellam vote pottathu? :rotfl2:

joe
31st March 2009, 06:40 PM
Plum avargaLukku 'HUB-n Naresh Gupta' entra pattaththai azhikkiRen :)

Plum
31st March 2009, 06:45 PM
yevan avan naresh gupta?

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 06:45 PM
Plum avargaLukku 'HUB-n Naresh Gupta' entra pattaththai azhikkiRen :)

azhikireengala?...yEn pudhu pattam edhavadhu kaivasam irukka

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 06:46 PM
Itula oru vaedikka paarunga...... Music, Comedy ithellaam relaxation kodukka vaendiyaathu... aana athu sammanthapatta discussionsla thaan evvalavu sanda :lol2:

Plum
31st March 2009, 06:46 PM
oh! Andha naresh gupta-va? Pinne thread-owner-na oru responsible venaam? Namakku ellame done-a irukkanum.

P_R
31st March 2009, 06:50 PM
yaruppa reserved ku ellam vote pottathu? :rotfl2: :lol: Joe, Premgi nominate aayiruvaar ;nradhu edhirpaarppula pOttutteengaLA ?

Senthil(stretching it a bit here).
Nevaire..... Standalone he may not have been a patch of what he was when paired with GM. But he is not unfunny.

kaapi kudichchA soraNai vandhurungaLAyyA ? (Nammavar)

S: ladies kEkkuraangallaa... sollu sollu (padayappA)

Rajini: idhu
S: NT Rama Rao :lol: (Veera)

Plum
31st March 2009, 06:58 PM
Senthil rejeeted? - I need two more people seconding the motion here (all rules and regulation vecha thaanya idhukku oru theervu varum :-) )

joe
31st March 2009, 07:01 PM
yaruppa reserved ku ellam vote pottathu? :rotfl2: :lol: Joe, Premgi nominate aayiruvaar ;nradhu edhirpaarppula pOttutteengaLA ?
:)

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 07:02 PM
Senthil rejeeted? - I need two more people seconding the motion here (all rules and regulation vecha thaanya idhukku oru theervu varum :-) )

oru 8avadhu pass candidatea epdinga idhula sertha mudiyum

Nerd
Senthil - nevaire (formatting ellAm correct-A?)

Plum
premji rejeeted for too small sample size. nest'u..

Raikkonen
vadivel's geng ellathayum onnu sethu oru option ah potrunga (alwa vasu is funny, but matha pasanga ellam sutha mokkainga)

Plum
31st March 2009, 07:06 PM
Thangavelu, Chandrababu(Viv's nomination), Janagaraj, Kovai Sarala, Senthil(stretching it a bit here) - rejected

So,
Thangavelu, Chandrababu(Viv's nomination), Janagaraj, Kovai Sarala

Contestant add panna virumburavanga nomination form file pannalam - 'en peru innadhu, candidate peru innadhu, naanga rendu perum kaadhalikkarom..etc' -nu manu ezhudi kodukkalam :-)

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 07:08 PM
vadivel's geng ellathayum onnu sethu oru option ah potrunga (alwa vasu is funny, but matha pasanga ellam sutha mokkainga)

vivek gang except mayilsamy also would join this list..

actually gounder gang involved some very underrated excellent comedians

Otta vaayi narayanam ("ulla ore puzhukkam")

jimbalakadi bamba ("maaple...aaprica vazhapadi..")

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 07:08 PM
Senthil - nevaire (formatting ellAm correct-A?)

"NOOOOO nooo no..... kambleet nee methad" ... ellam avaru
parthadhillaya

"normalla sumoke ellam varradhe"

estra estra...

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 07:09 PM
what abt vivek for the past few years :roll: very unfunny :?

Plum
31st March 2009, 07:09 PM
""NOOOOO nooo no..... kambleet nee methad" ... ellam avaru
parthadhillaya

"
HR, naane ennoda opinion-laam thalli vechuttu, democratic-aa nadathittirukkaen - idpi ellam pesapadadhu

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 07:12 PM

this thread is for life time mokkais

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 07:13 PM
jimbalakadi bamba ("maaple...aaprica vazhapadi..")

today I thought of posting about him..

nella.. ippothan vayale vanga poraen :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 07:18 PM

appa sari :yessir:

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 07:25 PM

appa sari :yessir:

neenga irunga.. naanga poroam :evil:

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm contemplating booth capturing, kalla voting and general hijacking...

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 07:38 PM
neenga irunga.. naanga poroam :evil:

naan irunthaa neenga poi thaanae aagaanum :lol2:

sari sari azhaatheenga.. seekiram adutha round of discussion kku yaarayavathu ulla izhunga :mrgreen:

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 07:49 PM

Anyway....

My help :P

அறிவுஜீவி என காட்டிக்கொள்ள என்ன செய்ய வேண்டும் ? கமல்ஹாசன் இன்னும் நடிக்கவே ஆரம்பிக்கவில்லை ,சிவாஜி கணேசனுக்கு நடிக்கவே தெரியாது ,எம்.ஜி.ஆர் ஒண்ணுமே தெரியாத முட்டாள் ,கருணாநிதிக்கு தமிழே தெரியாது ,இளையராஜாவின் இசை வெறும் இரைச்சல் மட்டுமே என அடித்து பேச வேண்டும் .

Rest of them is here http://cdjm.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-post.html

Nanri Joe :)

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 07:50 PM
aanastu..

edhukum edhukum linku podreenga :lol:

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 07:52 PM
aanastu..

Gounder is not some small time actor... avarukku hero-ku equalla sambalam kuduthu nadikka vechanga...

ellam karuthu parimatramthane :)

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 07:53 PM
Good Job HR.. innum konja page poaga vazhi panniteenga :thumbsup:

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 07:55 PM
aanastu..

Gounder is not some small time actor... avarukku hero-ku equalla sambalam kuduthu nadikka vechanga...

ellam karuthu parimatramthane :)
:thumbsup:

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 08:03 PM
Good Job HR

u r unselected

innum konja page poaga vazhi panniteenga :thumbsup:

ada adhe vidunga.. I have a genuine doubt:

Just before Gounder, it was Surulirajan who was at his peak (may be unfunny).... is it because of Suruli's death (?) GOunder had an oppurtunity to expand his empire

P_R
31st March 2009, 08:11 PM
I don't think a cultural phenomenon such as Gounder can be explained away in a single simple event of that sort. It was a tidal wave that was waiting to happen and would have found an occasion no matter what. He satisfied a demand for a type of humour that existed out there but remained unfulfilled due to social mores. Nothing succeeds like success and he developed en masse a taste for what he was dishing out. Even in the context of the time of his rise it would be impossible to see his start as 'filling the gap' of SuruLi. His style was a unique monolith and could have existed alongside anyone else.

idhukku uvamai edhuvum solla theriyalai.... simply because the phenomenon is so singular in the history of art.

And when I say such things how do I convince you that I am NOT using words disproportionate to the context and thus trying to be funny. I am as serious as I ever could be. "History of art" appidingra expression-ai inge use paNNAma vEra enga naan use paNNuvEn ?

Plum
31st March 2009, 08:15 PM
PR, HR, sari sari. Gounder dhaan contestants list-leye illaiye. Take it forward pa, wearing my naresh gupta hat, let me remidn that the contestants for 2 positions as of now are:
TV, CB, KSarala, jangaraj. If I add Vivek and Vadivel's gang, hubbers will slyly make them the 2 remaining nominations because those are nameless entities who have nobody to speak for them so rejeet pannidaren. Riccostu to either add to the 4 mentioned above or/and argue for elimination of any one or more among the 4.

complicateur
31st March 2009, 08:21 PM
AbUrva SagOtharargaL alone is enough for JanakarAj to garner a get-out-of-jail-free card.

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 08:22 PM
PR :clap:

Nakkal-than thamizhanin nagaichuvai-e.... NadigaveL kaalathil irundhe appadithan....

ippo yaara parthalum (in real life) Gounder style pechuthan ... Vadivelu too.

Eg for vadivelu:

oficela yaravadhu summa irukkiyanu ketta.. I wud say.. "summa irukkuradhu evlo kastam theriyuma" :lol:

sari.. election commissioner namma ID-ya invalid aakida poraru :P

complicateur
31st March 2009, 08:23 PM
JeyamOhan had an article about 'pagadi' on his website. I was quite unable to extricate KavuNder from my mind's eye while reading it.

P_R
31st March 2009, 08:29 PM
Nakkal-than thamizhanin nagaichuvai-e....
thamizhanin adaiyALahthai mEttedhuththa nAyagan ...aduththa thread-kku title ready

sari.. election commissioner namma ID-ya invalid aakida poraru :P avar namma settu..... enna appappO dooty-la stritt aayiruvAru

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 08:33 PM
-edited teknik fault :mrgreen: -

P_R
31st March 2009, 08:36 PM
HR, idhu vEnaam
muNdA banianukku soap vaanga kaasillainnAlum... eppidi paaththaalum namma paya :P

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 08:36 PM
ippo yaara parthalum (in real life) Gounder style pechuthan ... Vadivelu too.

Fodder for next Panjayathu? :twisted:

"thendrala irundha enna puyala ezhuppaadheenga" (Thanks to VTR)

nan thappa sollaleenga anne... vadivelu stylelayum saga makkal pesarangannu sonnaen..

:wave:

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 08:37 PM
HR, idhu vEnaam
muNdA banianukku soap vaanga kaasillainnAlum... eppidi paaththaalum namma paya :P

nan thelivu padhuthittaen...

Gounder & Vadivelu are top 2 nu solraen

crajkumar_be
31st March 2009, 08:39 PM
HR,
"Look at me" (prev post)

Kenathanamana mails paathadhoda effect! Kindly excuse :oops:

HonestRaj
31st March 2009, 08:41 PM
Kindly excuse :oops:

periya varthayellam pesadheenga :)

MARIYADHAI release aagi vetri adaindhal .. aadharavu karam kudukka poravangalla neengalum oruthar ...

ok.. :wave: for now

Plum
31st March 2009, 08:49 PM
avar namma settu..... enna periya saving settu :-) (so obvious illai, losing its effect by repeated use-na idhu dhaan)

Sari, compli has advocated Janagaraj's cause - and Apoorva Sagodharargal is quite a strong recommendation letter.
Anyone adding support? (hint:thangachiyai...)

complicateur
31st March 2009, 08:52 PM
Actually another support for JanakarAj is kELadi kaNmaNi.
unga policy ennavO nalla policy-A thAn irukku is an oft-used dialog in former kaalEj circles.

littlemaster1982
31st March 2009, 08:53 PM
Janakaraj simply rocked in Idhaya Thamarai. Absent minded fellow :lol:

Nerd
31st March 2009, 08:54 PM
I am third :) The baaaai scene in bAtshA.

Movie Cop
31st March 2009, 09:11 PM
avar namma settu..... enna periya saving settu :-) (so obvious illai, losing its effect by repeated use-na idhu dhaan)

Sari, compli has advocated Janagaraj's cause - and Apoorva Sagodharargal is quite a strong recommendation letter.
Anyone adding support? (hint:thangachiyai...)
Janakaraj had his share of unfunny moments like every other comedian. But he is not a complete "blade" comedian like some others in the unfunny list. At the bare bones minimum, AS alone should bail out Janakaraj comfortably. 8-)

"En thangachia naai kacheechu paa"
"En pondathi oorukku poyitha"

Janakaraj as a US return guy in Rajathi Raja had me in splits! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Roshan
31st March 2009, 09:52 PM
Hub's comedian of the year and then on the unfunny comedians list eh ? Nice try.

Hub awards ellAm serious'a eduthuttu.. idhu over chinnapuLLathanam :lol2:

Roshan
31st March 2009, 10:01 PM
Janakaraj simply rocked in Idhaya Thamarai. Absent minded fellow :lol:

Janakaraj in 'en bommukutti ammavukku' - lawyer character - 'sAppAttukku munnAdiyA.. pinnAdiyA'