PDA

View Full Version : IR's New albums - Ver 2008/2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

raja_fan
12th May 2009, 10:07 PM
So finally IR seems to be out of complaints of "Broken tune flows" and "bad recording".

AM and Nannavanu both are very neatly recorded !

baroque
12th May 2009, 10:41 PM
:thumbsup: ......TRACK 7..... :swinghead:

Thanks Suresh,
Noted ..... Sampige rd, Railway station, busy shopping at 8th cross, several food chat places... :) HEAVENLY and HOMELY, miss very much!

Let me grab breezy and soulful NAMMURA MANDAARA HOOVE. :wave:

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 10:54 PM
raja_fan,

I had a similar feeling about SPB's singing. His voice is melodious as usual but unusually you can hear a bit of struggle.

Sanjeevi
13th May 2009, 12:09 AM
7th track is superb rest are OK type

anyway will give more listen

Hulkster
13th May 2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks Mr Suresh.

Amazing songs. The tide started with Kangalum Kavipaaduthey and is still rocking till now.

raja_fan
13th May 2009, 09:27 AM
Track 7 orchestration takes us back to the 80's !

Where were you IR all these days !!

Hulkster
13th May 2009, 09:51 AM
Track 7 is a wonderful melody but Track 5 is my favourite, exhilarating folk song :D

rajasaranam
13th May 2009, 10:11 AM
Beautiful Beautiful - Return of the king SPB with IR. nothing can sound sweeter than this :notworthy:

raja_fan
13th May 2009, 02:51 PM
Track 7 resembles "Priyasakhi..." from Gopura Vasalile, especially the charanam...

ARUNPRAKASHKRISHNAN
14th May 2009, 10:28 AM
33 years ago the same day annakili got released [14.5.1976]. still ilayaraaja is giving us entertaining and thought provoking music.long live ir!!!!!!!

raja_fan
14th May 2009, 04:23 PM
Sari..
thalaivar paattu pottaru..vote pottaaraa ?

Just kidding :)

rajasaranam
15th May 2009, 12:33 PM
Track 7 orchestration takes us back to the 80's !

Where were you IR all these days !!

The orchestration is very much late 90's and post 2000's style of Raaja. Its evolved version of post kathalukku mariyathai, kannukul nilavu, time, manasellam....pattern.

Track 7 is a wonderful melody but Track 5 is my favourite, exhilarating folk song :D

The best song of the album 'Om sivohum' cannot be stamped as folk song IMHO. It has shades of kodava (konkan) folk style, WCM, Little bit of Latin american style, tamil folk style, North Kerala - Mangalorian style, Aryan tribal Style....the styles I got to identify :)

ethana vaatti solrathu itha "he is the only man who can fuse such diverse and multiple genres in one song and yet make it sound very simple" :notworthy:

yeah I know you havent listened to the whole song. Will try to rip and upload later ;)

Hulkster
15th May 2009, 12:38 PM
Oh thanks RS :bluejump:. Can understand hubbers' delight over tracks 6 and 7 but like you said track 7 is a superb fusion. But i liked the percussive rhythms the best. You knows its a different genre but at the same time it has raja's stamp especially the mridhangam touches towards the end of the sample. We always ignore thalaivar's percussive work, the most innovative and complicated i have heard among all composers.

raagas
15th May 2009, 01:06 PM
Where do i get to listen to complete songs? I dont stay in Bangalore to buy the cd :( Is the album up on any of the online streaming music sites (other than musicindiaonline,coz i cant access it).

Guys, i am alrready jealous :( that you guys are relishing the album while i am trying be content with the samples provided with Suresh!

Hulkster
15th May 2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah even kannadaaudio.com has no tracks yet. And they hold the latest audio out of the rest mp3 sampling sites for kannada songs. :curse:

Sureshs65
15th May 2009, 01:21 PM
raagas,

I am sure it will be up soon in some site soon. If at all you need the CD, I can always buy one and post it to you. No problem. The CD is very nominally priced.

Hulkster
15th May 2009, 01:25 PM
What about me in Singapore? :cry2: BTW the prelude of track 1, "muthamma" i think is quite innovative. Just listen to the synth, has a distinctive indonesian style. Meesical experts can elaborate. :D

irir123
16th May 2009, 04:41 AM
despite the fresh start for IR this year, the bigger problems will be:

1. the way these films do well in BO (that the songs of 'Nannevanu' will be hilariously picturised wth costumes in all sorts of weird colors in Kannada is a given!)

2. how much these albums are received by ppl ?? any stats as to the sales of 'Azhagar malai' ? am sure it will be well-received in Madurai and surrounding areas

dochu
16th May 2009, 07:36 AM
irir123,
I think we are past beyond the point of no return for IR in terms of sales, or getting back his reigns on film music.

Generations have changed. People are after a different genre of music.

However, IR still never fails to please HC fans. Being one of them, I think I shall be content and take that to my grave.

rajasaranam
16th May 2009, 11:53 AM
The regulars should be knowing where I keep my folders in 'Mediafire' :twisted: 'Nannavanu' is in Kannada Raaja folder :P

Sureshs65
16th May 2009, 03:21 PM
dochu,

What you say is right as far as Tamil is concerned. From whatever I hear his music does well in Malayalam going by the awards and number of people who sing the songs in the singing competitions.

rajasaranam had a good way of putting it earlier. In Tamil, Raja being a near retired MD, in Telugu a retired MD, in Malayalam a super hit MD and in Kannada an upcoming MD :) There is lot of truth in what RS said and I am sure the songs of 'Nannavanu' would get some decent air time. As for how the movie would do, well ... the hero nor the heroine offer any great hope :(

Hulkster
17th May 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks RS for the treasure :D :clap: :notworthy:

Tracks 2 and 3 which are based on the hero have wonderful energy. Yes they may be synth but the orchestration is the highlight here. There is certainly some improvisation from the very kiddish styled hero songs IR used to give us a few movies back(maybe he got bored for those). You can feel the energy that vidiya vidiya nadanam had in these two songs. Some trendish stuff here as well.

The rest of the songs are probably nothing(according to IR standards) for IR except for the fifth track, the wonderfully trans-folk-carnatic crossing song Om sivoham. Like RS said this is a medley of styles. Pick of the soundtrack. Yet it still sounds so rajaish. :notworthy:

rajaalltheway
17th May 2009, 11:46 AM
new hindi movie for Ayya.''dheen'' stars saurav ganguly and kajol.produced by nfdc directed by pradeep kumar.lyrics by GULZAR

rajasaranam
17th May 2009, 01:22 PM
Hulk,

Track 3 orchestration is top notch! especially the first interlude is out of the world :)

Hulkster
17th May 2009, 03:10 PM
Yennathu Gangulya? :shock: Seri vidunga padam nalla irukkum, athu nambalaam.

Yes RS, Interludes are where thalaivar is going full gear(the interlude you mentioned had some middle eastern style towards the end) :bluejump: . I think the grouse for most of the negative brigade personnel is the tune and i think the energy of the tune matches the orchestration. If they mention synth as a reason then they can lock themselves up with their 80s thoughts. :evil:

We still have Mathiya Chennai and Chal Chalein coming up. :D

writeface
18th May 2009, 02:18 AM
Rajasaranam,

Please provide the mediafire URL. Thanks.

Wf.

inetk
18th May 2009, 10:00 AM
http://bellitere.com/ilaiyaraaja-disappoints-nannavanu-music-review.html

kiru
18th May 2009, 10:22 AM
"with only the rhythmic beats holding it together till the end" I could say this for Rahman very many times. Just because that guy sells into the new trend it is not really right to crow over a fallen giant. BTW, IR cannot and did not ever give a hit in all movies all the time. It is because he is much more original building his song from scratch. Naturally, it is difficult to get a hit all the time.
One muttu muthamma is equivalent to 5 songs built with off-the-shelf rhythms, IMHO.
Hmm..continue your esteemed music service :-(

K
18th May 2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ibilmdzn5ei

vel
18th May 2009, 12:54 PM
[tscii:ce9f12a097]my comment there (will mostly get deleted by moderators)

raju shanbag - did you write the review under high spirits (after a rave party bash perhaps?)…this is an excellent album with ilaiyaraaja scoring in terms of melody based songs, western songs, hardcore carnatic and spicy tribal interludes within a carnatic song. Forget about anyone nuding raaja out….if you rreviews continue to be as poor as this, you will soon be nudged out for your lack of real music appreciation. God save this review section from half boiled reviews such as these. My two cents !
[/tscii:ce9f12a097]

vel
18th May 2009, 01:08 PM
Yenidu Yenidu has suddha Dhanyasi tones, but i can smell lot of Madhyamavathi too. Can you confirm this raaga?

its like 'enna solli paaduvadho' - you will never be able to decide if it is sudhadhanyasi or mohanam or sudha saveri ...he cleaverly takes elements from all scales :lol:

raagas
18th May 2009, 04:20 PM
new hindi movie for Ayya.''dheen'' stars saurav ganguly and kajol.produced by nfdc directed by pradeep kumar.lyrics by GULZAR

Any link confirming this.

I am already waiting for his existing Hindi albums, Chal Chalein and SRK (with Gulzar). And whats Saurav Ganguly doing in a film!! Are u sure it is not just a rumour!

rajaalltheway
18th May 2009, 04:36 PM

Any link confirming this.

I am already waiting for his existing Hindi albums, Chal Chalein and SRK (with Gulzar). And whats Saurav Ganguly doing in a film!! Are u sure it is not just a rumour!

Raagas...i got the news from the movies writer himself(T.A.Razzak) who is debuting in hindi.I have heard that many malayalm dailies last week confirmed this their movie section.

Hulkster
18th May 2009, 04:59 PM
Ayyan Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ira8AUqogVw

However bgm is not thalaivar's as usual. Some western film score has been used in place. Interesting film, seems pretty violent.

rajaalltheway
18th May 2009, 04:59 PM
Raju Shanbag after listening to alot of recent high quality renditions from Sonu Nigam,Udit Narayan and kunal ganjawala
might have found some proper pronounciations and natural sounds very difficult to understand.Thankfully he showed mercy to acknowledge that 'Ilaiyaraaja is back' after nudging him outwith the first song

Hulkster
18th May 2009, 05:02 PM
How is this fella reviewing songs when he cannot find the innovative flow in om sivoham? How do these people even become reviewers?

inetk
18th May 2009, 05:10 PM
The songs are online, finally!

http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Moviewise/home/Nannavanu.php

krish244
18th May 2009, 07:38 PM
My take after listening to the complete songs:

1) Muthuthu: The rhythm, beats and the way the chorus sings "thuthu" are all in sync. The shehnai kind of sound in the interlude is nicely done. Bela, although sounds nasal, is ok. IR is certainly not comfortable in singing high pitches.

2) Mudhalane: The flow of this song and the orchestration is really good. Even the second interlude is neat. The way Bela ends 2nd charanam is not as impressive as the way SPB ends the 1st charanam. Does not keep up with the way music mellows down. SPB strains a little in high pitches (when he repeats pallavi (high pitch portion) at the end), otherwise he is great.

3) Dhinna: Did not get that impressed with this song.

4) Hey Mamu: Decent song for the situation. Catchy pallavi with some voice/bass portions overlaps. Also to note is the first arabian flovour interlude. Good singing by Karthik, Tippu and Vijay Jesudas.

5) Devadhi Deva: Good one, but certainly not in the league of "Vedham" song.

6) Oh shiva hum: The way SPB starts "om shivo hum" along the same pitch as chorus is a nice touch. The second interlude has nice jelling of chants, tribal sounds and some rural sounds. This "om shivo hum" is still not as electrifying as "Om shiva hum" of naan kadavul.

7) Enidu: As I suspected, it is sung by Sriram and he has sung it nicely. Song has a nice tune and equally nice orchestration to go with. The only thing I did not like is the differently paced charanam beginnings and the beats associated with it. IR has done this before as well. Bela shende sometimes struggles to keep up with the language and the tune.

IR has used Bele Shende a lot. He is testing her range and skills, I guess. But she is way short of Shreya Ghosal. My picks are muthuthu, enidu and mudhalane.

thanks,

Krishnan

irir123
18th May 2009, 10:22 PM
Muthuthu - along the lines of 'punnnagaiyil minsaram' (Bharathan) - IR's voice in high pitches is embarassing - the synth percussions sound good - wud have been better if IR had added some high energy with real percussion as well

De nadanaana - awful synth usage - but might become popular in kannada

hey mamu - sounds like rehash from an IR telugu song from the 1980s/1990s - the interludes are a relief - but there is an unwanted/irritating plucking sound in the second interlude - a bored IR must have said "andha 'plunk/plunk' sounda konjam add pannunga'- (

om shivoham - complex song/beats/rhythms - I liked the way the 'thavil' has been used during the charanam and the 'urumi' in the second interlude - a slightly neo-version of 'ghanashyama' (in terms of constantly changing percussion rhythms) - cud become a cult hit in Karnataka

enidhu - wow! beautiful flute prelude and strings in the first interlude beginning and again the flute - this track has shades of "kallai irudhen" (Uliyin osai)

odhalane - classic IR - everything perfect, the use of the veena in the second interlude needs special mention

overall, IMHO, despite the synth glitches, this album will be a hit in Kannada a la, Nammoora mandara hoove - depends on how well the movie does as well

IR is riding a big wave so far, in 2009!

jaiganes
18th May 2009, 10:57 PM
I hope the reason for the wave could be some big non filmi thing he is cooking up secretly. andha maadhiri edhaavadhu shock kuduththu asathuvarnnu ninaikiren.

vel
19th May 2009, 10:33 AM
jaiganes - idhu enna insider information'aa? :)

Hulkster
19th May 2009, 11:47 AM
Now i think jaiganesh just has a hunch. Like how when thalaivar was scoring a symphony most of his film songs especially melodies sounded like symphonies themselves.

kiru
19th May 2009, 12:59 PM
I hope jaiganes is true..but I am saddened to hear TIS like orchestrations in azhagar malai..kizhakku song.

Hulkster
19th May 2009, 01:24 PM
TIS? Kizhakku Velakkadhu's orchestration was quite simple by IR's standards. TIS had much more complexity. :D

crvenky
19th May 2009, 02:52 PM
Hulkster, I think Kiru is referring to the charanam of Kizhakku. The strings that come after the 1st line of charanm reminds me of TIO.

Hulkster
19th May 2009, 03:17 PM
Oh....sounds plausible although i felt it did not really replicate TIS. :D

Next upcoming albums in Late May/June

Jaganmohini
Mathiya Chennai(some say next week)
Ayyan(Trailer is out)

Upcoming movies
Nandalala(May 30th)

krish244
19th May 2009, 05:01 PM
Rediff review:

http://movies.rediff.com/review/2009/may/19/music-review-azhagarmalai.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

jaiganes
19th May 2009, 08:32 PM
guys- i just expressed my desire/ hope - no insider info.

crajkumar_be
19th May 2009, 08:44 PM
First Impressions - Nannanavu

Almost there, yet the usual suspect makes its presence felt.

Muthuthara - The beginning impresses, however doesn't sustain throughout

Om - More listens needed perhaps

Modalane - Keeravani? (Raaja's favorite when it comes to duet these days) Good ludes

Hey Maamu - Promising in parts. Would have loved if the funky bass lines were not subdued and the usual rants about 'sound', 'percussion' etc apply.... Interesting how the charanams start :)

kiru
19th May 2009, 11:46 PM
Hulkster, I think Kiru is referring to the charanam of Kizhakku. The strings that come after the 1st line of charanm reminds me of TIO.
venky ..we are in the same wavelength as the cliche goes :-) Hulkster ..what didn't TIS make a good impression on you ? :-)

kiru
19th May 2009, 11:48 PM
Muthuthara - The beginning impresses, however doesn't sustain throughout

there's a rhythm change in there but sounds so stale compared to the fresh arrangement of the main rhyhtm..to me this is a bit of a spoiler for this song.

Hulkster
20th May 2009, 04:45 AM
venky ..we are in the same wavelength as the cliche goes :-) Hulkster ..what didn't TIS make a good impression on you ? :-)

Of course it did. That is the album that made me think he was some god of music. I am saying kizhakku sounds quite simple when you compare to TIS style of orchestration overall. :D

krish244
20th May 2009, 08:44 PM
"Valmiki" audio to be launched on 22nd May. IR to be present at the launch.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/may-09-04/valmiki-20-05-09.html

Curious to hear the songs of this movie.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
20th May 2009, 08:48 PM
It seems, Jagathy (malayalam comedy actor) plans to rope in IR for his new untitled directorial venture.

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/malayalam/top-stories/2009/jagathy-direction-200509.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
22nd May 2009, 12:05 AM
IR, Rahul Nambiar, Reeta, Bela Shinde, Shreya Ghosal and Tippu have all sung for "Valmiki":

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200905211680.htm

IR has sung three songs!

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
22nd May 2009, 12:17 AM
I read in a link that Shankar will be receiving the Valmiki disc from IR as the movie's director is his sishyan.

svbp007
22nd May 2009, 12:12 PM
Its quite interesting to see that Nanavanu is covered only in tfmpages and not a single message about this movie in the IR yahoo group.

irir123
23rd May 2009, 05:29 AM
After a few more listenings, I change my opinion about NANAVANU - it simply ROCKS!!

IR is on a new wave definitely and this album should become a big hit in Karnataka - the standout song is the "om shivoham" track

Hulkster
23rd May 2009, 07:19 AM
After a few more listenings, I change my opinion about NANAVANU - it simply ROCKS!!

IR is on a new wave definitely and this album should become a big hit in Karnataka - the standout song is the "om shivoham" track

Yup om shivoham is the best :exactly: I think its a totally new style of song where the all the three stanzas are made up of three different tunes.

Sureshs65
23rd May 2009, 06:08 PM
Any clue if 'Valmiki' is now available in the stores? Anyone bought it yet? Any feedback?

Hulkster
23rd May 2009, 06:14 PM
Any clue if 'Valmiki' is now available in the stores? Anyone bought it yet? Any feedback?

Once again the sampling sites are slow on this. News of the release is everywhere except for the songs :angry2:

rajasaranam
24th May 2009, 03:47 AM
Valmiki - Ilaiyaraaja - Anantha Narayanan - Vaali.

Kooda Varuviya - Bela Shinde - The moment the prelude started I had a big smile in my face. It was a hunch like thing which said Thalaivar is venturing into uncharted territories. This songs orchestration tune and everything about is absolutely fresh and new from Raaja. The Interludes, the rhythm changes the instrumentation what shall i tell about the song.... You listen to it.

Poo Sirikuthu - Rahul Nambiar, Reeta - The beginning did fool me a bit and after the main tune and music started flowing...repeat the same What I have written for Kooda Varuviya.

Oli Tharum Sooriyan - Ilaiyaraaja, Bela Shinde - Again the Genius strikes. Nothing Like you have heard from Raaja Before! This is absolute Gem. The Synth in the Song shows he has found the right keys there!

Rekka Katti Parakuthu - Rahul Nambiar, Tippu - Kuthu maame Kuthu, Ithu Kuthu! Tha listen to orchestration. The energy this man Displays makes one believe is he ageing in the Reverse. Need to bear with Tippu till we get a Replacement :)

Thendralum Maaruthu - Shreya Ghoshal - A enjoyable song for the pleasant surprises he had sprinkled all over the song through instrumentation. Though I havent ranked any song from the album I believe this song will be in the bottom however I list them.

Achadicha Kaasa - Ilaiyaraaja - A fun filled-thathuvam filled-Hero Intro Song. Should listen more.

Ennada Paandi - Ilaiyaraaja - I Remember some days Before I was referring to 'Gaana' Songs while defending Raaja's Voice. Though I dont believe in Divine Intervention this is absolutely surprising for me personally for Raaja has exactly ventured into that genre and come out with a stunner. 'Deva' will be worried for Raaja stealing the show in this genre too. This will be written in the annals of Gaana Enthusiasts as an authentic Gaana song ever heard in Tamil cinema. I had been in many such Gaana Katcheris and can relate to this song through the Voice, instrumentation and orchestration very close to the Genre. :notworthy:

This review is from my first listen alone. This is the best of 2009 (Till now)for it makes you think whether ARR, Yuvan, HJ, all sat together to compose this :wink:

PS: Listen to the album in headphones, who doesnt want to miss the amazing sound recording, orschetration & Instrumentation.

Ivalo sollittu link tharalaenna ennai adikka vara maateenga. download link (http://isai.in/tamil/?p=582)

rajasaranam
24th May 2009, 04:02 AM
2nd listening - Thendralum maaruthu is better :) The song has a strong Mallu Flavour and may be that was the reason I was not expecting this here in this album. The Voice of SG too sounds very close to Chithra's :|

Achadicha kaasa - has a beautiful Postlude.

12bums
24th May 2009, 04:58 AM
Rajasaranam, you are absolutely right - as I heard the first strains of Kooda Varuviya and Oli Tharum Sooriyan, I too had a big smile on my face - just amazing, how this guy can come up with this after all these years... Even Rekka Katti is a thumping kuthu, as only Raja can come up with... Very fresh!

rajasaranam
24th May 2009, 05:15 AM
12bums,

Do you also feel that 'Kooda Varuviya' has the same feel of 'Kurukku siruthavale' from Muthalvan in regards to the TUNE?

rajasaranam
24th May 2009, 05:19 AM
Lemme wait for the people who say Raaja has got nothing new to offer with a big grin in my face :D

prasad_subbu
24th May 2009, 05:47 AM
rajasaranam,

"Kurruku siruthavale" songs have shades of "Nallavarkellam satchingal undu" from Tyagam. You should hear the whole songs both of them to see resemblence.

Hulkster
24th May 2009, 06:18 AM
Amazing album. :clap: Placing the songs after the film is completed does wonders. This is probably 10% of what he can do and that is super scary :frightened:

For those who do not want to download but just listen.

http://sevenmountain.blogspot.com/2009/05/valmiki-songs.html

Hulkster
24th May 2009, 06:20 AM
Lemme wait for the people who say Raaja has got nothing new to offer with a big grin in my face :D

Vidunga avanga 80sil piranthu 80sil thoongi vitaanga. Namma avarodeiya pokkishangalai yeduthukolvom.

irir123
24th May 2009, 08:35 AM
kooda varuviyaa - IR ROCKS!! this can be perfect and at home in Hindi as well - from the tabla thaalam structure, the melody structure - could very well be a ghazal with a slower pace - mesmerising first interlude and the charanam accentuates the ghazal-like effect - I can imagine Jagjit Singh rendering this in Hindi albeit at a slower pace - this one joins the ranks of instant classics!!

oli tharum sooriyan - the charanam begins in a very very conventional way and the way it ends in an ascending pattern, is beautiful - and all along, the strings play a layered backdrop giving a cushioning effect

will het back abt the others shortly - but IR is back this year with a vengeance - one sweet album after another!!

rooky
24th May 2009, 09:06 AM
Amazing album and really fresh.IR looks to be in a great rhythm now.

Sureshs65
24th May 2009, 10:36 AM
Just got to listen to all song briefly. All I can say is a big 'O' to Anantha Narayanan for inspiring Raja to come up with a super soundtrack.

MumbaiRamki
24th May 2009, 11:04 AM
Amazing album. :clap: Placing the songs after the film is completed does wonders. This is probably 10% of what he can do and that is super scary :frightened:

I think the isai.in site is down ..any where i can hear the streaming songs ?

( anybody has bought from galatta.com ? how steh quality there ?)

Sanjeevi
24th May 2009, 11:38 AM

I think the isai.in site is down ..any where i can hear the streaming songs ?

( anybody has bought from galatta.com ? how steh quality there ?)

MR, use some proxy it will open

I used a proxy to download

krish244
24th May 2009, 12:03 PM
On initial hearing, "Kooda Varuviya" and "Oli tharum" (some yuvan'ish touch seen) really impressed. Yet to hear other songs completely. Will give my thoughts on the album soon.

I am using a pretty good quality headphones. Somehow, I am struggling to hear some of the layers of sounds. Don't know if its something to do with recording technique or the way mp3 is extracted or its just I have to hear it again.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
24th May 2009, 12:09 PM
BTW, is it really Shreya Ghoshal (or only her) singing "thendralum". Sometimes I feel its Sujatha's daughter voice (pallavi portions) and sometimes a little bit of Shreya's voice (charanam portions). The variations are clearly seen when the pallavi is repeated the last time. I guess its rendered by two singers, but one name is omitted.

thanks,

Krishnan

ramk1
24th May 2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the samples. They are awesome. Yes, i can say that with a big grin that my man has arrived. If this movie becomes a hit, IR wud've surely played his part in that after a long long time. My genius is not yet dead. Being a greedy fan, why can;t he churn out a non-filmy album in the same lines?
Ramesh K

MumbaiRamki
24th May 2009, 01:11 PM
Kick ass album man !! Just loved all of them , esp the orchestration in Poo sirikuthu , Oli Tharum is just mind blowing , something we haven't heard from raaja so far !!!!

This is Raaja' s trademark orchestration - like how he would have done in New age !!!!

kanna_82
24th May 2009, 01:14 PM
Wow...what an album...
kooda varuviyaa...OMG...what a song...but all the other songs are damn amazing aswell...this album is IR best this year...!!!!

Sureshs65
24th May 2009, 01:16 PM
While agreeing with RS that this albums 'sounds' almost as if the new MDs have come together to do it, with due respects to all of them, I have to say that the tune of 'Kooda Vauviyo' can only be conjured up by the master. What a tune, what a tune. Superb. As irir123 said, it is a definite and instant classic.

gganesh
24th May 2009, 01:41 PM
Kooda Varuviya... scintillating... waiting like this from the master... Thats the experience...

Hulkster
24th May 2009, 01:48 PM
Forget the tune, the interludes are enough for me to listen anytime.

Kooda Varuviya - Second interlude
Pookkal Sirrikirudhu - Prelude
Oli Tharum Sooriyan - All Ludes
Achadicha Kaasa - Postlude

Super ma :notworthy: Thalaivar was always here, guess that he had to move to third gear to awaken some of us. Thalaivar has use certain genres in this album as well :D

Sureshs65
24th May 2009, 01:53 PM
Ramki,

You are right. This is how he would do New Age.

The only thing missing wrt the current 'New Age' are the male voice who cannot pronounce Tamil. If only Udit Narayan and Adnan Sami had sung a song each, this would probably be hailed immediately by everyone as a modern classic!!! :)

gganesh
24th May 2009, 02:04 PM
கூட வருவியா? என் கூட வருவியா?

கைகளோடு கைகள் கோர்த்து காலம் முழுதும் விலகாமல்
பகலும் இரவும் பயணம் முழுதும் பாதை மாறிப் போகாமல்
வழித்துணை என நீயும் கடைசி வரையில் என்னோடு

என்னை எடுத்து உந்தன் கையில் என்று தந்தேன் என்று
இன்று நினைத்தேன் அன்று நடந்த அந்த விந்தைகளை
மலர்வனம் பூ பூப்பதும் விருந்தென தேன் தருவதும்
ஒரு மனம் ஓர் நொடியிலே தன்னை இழந்தே தவிப்பதும்
என்னவென்று புரிந்ததின்று இதற்கு எது எங்கு காரணம்
நீயில்லாமல் வாழ்க்கை ஒன்று இனியேது?

யாருமில்லா காதல் தீவில் உலகில் ஓர் மூலையில்
தன்னந்தனியே குடிலை அமைத்து அன்பு பரிமாறலாம்
தரை வரும் வான் தேவதையும் மழலைகள் போல் வரட்டுமே
கந்தர்வ பானங்களின் அமுதினைத் தான் தரட்டுமே
வெள்ளைப்பனியின் மலையின் ஓரம் வைர மணித்தேரின் ஊர்வலம்
கண்ணில் மின்னும் கன்னி கனவு நனவாக

Sanjeevi
24th May 2009, 04:52 PM
listened just two songs

very mature top class songs and out of world compositions

looks like IR saying சின்ன பசங்கள யாருகிட்ட though his compositions :)

Hulkster
24th May 2009, 04:57 PM
Ramki,

You are right. This is how he would do New Age.

The only thing missing wrt the current 'New Age' are the male voice who cannot pronounce Tamil. If only Udit Narayan and Adnan Sami had sung a song each, this would probably be hailed immediately by everyone as a modern classic!!! :)

Poo sirrikidhu is wonderful with amazing western styled 80s rhythm (especially prelude)when he/she sings the main chorus. But polished reviewers like inetk say its exasperating synth in right amounts. Mathavanga seincha athaal path breaking genre usage. Mariyathai yellam pochu. :angry2:

krish244
24th May 2009, 05:19 PM
My thoughts:

1) Kooda Varuviya: Something very fresh about starting the tune with "kooda varuviya" words. A melodious pallavi with even more melodious charanam and nice singing with some nice and simple orchestra. An interesting rhythm for a melodious tune.

2) Acheducha Kaasa: A little different (tune wise) from the usual IR's thathuva song. Single charanam song with a surprising ending music.

3) Thendralum: The synth based beat pattern is only slightly (negligibly) different from what IR generally uses for kids theme. Somehow the tune did not impress me much.

4) Rekka katti: Not a usual pettai/kindal song from IR. A catchy tune. Fusing trumpets (??) and nadaswaram in a pettai/kindal song amazed me. Singing is apt I thought, for this situation.

5) Oli tharum: Nice prelude. Everything about this song is fresh as far as IR's usual melody format is concerned. I would say he has stepped into Yuvan shoes while composing this melody. The second interlude although short is very melodious (the progression has Karthik Raja touches). IR's sings in his comfortable zone.

6) Poo sirikudhu: Liked the 70/80's beats with those trumpets, bass and all and the pallavi too. Nice pallavi tune with those harmonium taking you into the first interlude. I felt the charanam tune (and the way its sung) did not match the more modern sounding pallavi. Also, the charnam portion sort of reminded me of charanam of a song in TTLS (twinkle...).

7) Ennada paandi: A very casual tune that tells the hero to change. Situational and apt. Differently sung by IR.

Kooda, Oli, rekka, poo sirikudhu are worthy, with "Kooda Varuviya" and "Oli tharum" standing out (even in freshness). I am especially looking forward to the picturisation of these two songs.

thanks,

Krishnan

irir123
24th May 2009, 06:08 PM
'Valmiki' needs careful mutliple listenings for a proper review!

thats what IR has done with this album - one song has an amazing piano prelude which is taken over by strings to great heights!! thats the IR we all know of and he is making a big statement here

this album has everything in it - melody, class, mass appeal - it has "HIT" written all over it

am awaiting some moron on rediff to give a lacklustre review of the same

Sureshs65
24th May 2009, 06:21 PM
There was a discussion some time back about female solos of IR, initiated by thumburu. 'Kooda Varuviya' can be added to that list now. I think the song starts as MohanaKalyani and by the time it is in the second line of the charanam it becomes a lovely Kalyani. How can this man conjure up such a fresh sounding Kalyani after having given so many Kalyanis over the years is astonishing.

dochu
25th May 2009, 01:03 AM
'Kooda variya'

- so juicy!!!. Can't believe he can come up with stuff like that.

krish244
25th May 2009, 12:44 PM
No words to describe the melody that "Kooda varuviya" oozes. Voice of Bela Shende certainly adds right amount of honey to the melody (pronunciation needs touch up). I just loved the structure of the first interlude. Those flute (or some flute like synth) that follows the first two lines of charanam is a good touch too. Interesting to note that IR has used chorus only in the second charanam (after second line).

thanks,

Krishnan

crajkumar_be
25th May 2009, 01:51 PM
Very positive on first listening, though the standard disclaimers apply (sorry Hulk, got to disagree with you on this)

This year has been definitely great for IR fans!

crajkumar_be
25th May 2009, 02:03 PM
For me, "Oli Tharum" is the pick of the album, better than "Kooda Varuviya". Fantastic ludes. Heavenly! And that crescendo towards the end of the charanams....

And why is Thala not using Shreya G anymore? :(

crajkumar_be
25th May 2009, 02:12 PM
"Rekka Katti Parakkudhu" is ROCKING :musicsmile:

Sanjeevi
25th May 2009, 02:17 PM
For me, "Oli Tharum" is the pick of the album, better than "Kooda Varuviya". Fantastic ludes. Heavenly! And that crescendo towards the end of the charanams....

She has sung a song "Thenralum Maaruthu" which is also good in its way.

BTW Bela Shende is not bad replacement of SG :) :oops:

Sanjeevi
25th May 2009, 02:19 PM

Yes Oli Tharam is equal to Kooda Varuviya if not greater.

The end of each saranam's in 'Oli Tharam' is more than awesome

Nerd
25th May 2009, 02:33 PM
BS spoils oLi tharum for me. She does not differentiate between the zha and the La. ozhi tharum sooriyan, vizhakkaanEn etc. naakkai naalanju thadavai "saving" pannanum. she is no match for ShreyaG. I can't get enough of "yaarkkum pOlE vizhigaL irunthum ulagamO iruLil". She is a gem.

And as someone else already pointed out I think ShreyaG has only sung the second pallavi/charanam in thanRalathu and I am mighty disappointed that she had to sing the least impressive of the songs in this album.

Sanjeevi
25th May 2009, 02:46 PM
I agree BS struggles to sing Kizhakku or doesn't know how to spell zha.

I think SG is too busy thats why she is not singing for IR?

Sanjeevi
25th May 2009, 02:50 PM
And regarding Bela Shende

She sounds like mix of Sadhana Sargam and Shreya Ghosal in Kooda Varuviya song. In Oli Tharum song, her voice looks like Uma Ramanan at some places

crajkumar_be
25th May 2009, 04:28 PM
BS spoils oLi tharum for me. She does not differentiate between the zha and the La. ozhi tharum sooriyan, vizhakkaanEn etc. naakkai naalanju thadavai "saving" pannanum. she is no match for ShreyaG. I can't get enough of "yaarkkum pOlE vizhigaL irunthum ulagamO iruLil". She is a gem.

:exactly:
Strange, this usually doesnt happen under Thala's "baton"

crajkumar_be
25th May 2009, 04:28 PM

She has sung a song "Thenralum Maaruthu" which is also good in its way.

Oh yeah, just noticed...

crajkumar_be
25th May 2009, 04:30 PM
While listening to "Oli Tharum" i'm reminded of Viji Manuel's interview before Thiruvasagam release, where he says passionately how he "goes all out for Ilaiyaraaja" while playing :)
Wonderful interview it was

Sureshs65
25th May 2009, 07:27 PM
As they say, when it rains, it pours. One more Kannada soundtrack for the movie, 'Bhagyada Belagara' has been released. Yet to listen to the full album. Will post my views soon.

crajkumar_be
26th May 2009, 02:49 AM
The songs have slowly but surely begun to permeate and consume me :)

"Oli Tharum" - Ennatha solla, It's just so indescribable. :ty: Ilaiyaraaja and Viji Manuel (?)

"Kooda Varuviya" - This is the Rahmanesque Raaja, if you will :wink: :notworthy:

"Rekka Katti" - Kickin ass

Can't get over the songs yet.

app_engine
26th May 2009, 04:11 AM
vAlmeeki - WOW!

'kooda varuviyA', 'oLi tharum sooriyan', 'poo sirikkudhu' & 'thendRalum' are my picks.

'பூ சிரிக்குது' - பெண் குரல் பாடுவது முதலில் புரியவே இல்லை - ' booze இருக்குது'ன்னு பாடுற மாதிரி இருக்கு.

(அப்படிப்பாட்டு வந்தாலும் இப்ப ஆச்சரியமில்லை)

rags141
26th May 2009, 04:17 AM
Valmiki songs are absolutely mesmerizing....Amazing interludes....Good sound quality....

Enjoy guys!!!

crajkumar_be
26th May 2009, 04:34 AM
Like i did for Naan Kadavul, i've started the 'propaganda' through mails, SMS and word of mouth :)

thamizhvaanan
26th May 2009, 07:51 AM
"Kooda Varuviya" - This is the Rahmanesque Raaja, if you will :wink: :notworthy:

naan rendu naala idha inga sollalaama vendaama nu muzhichutu irundhen.. neenga solliteenga :P Need I say that I was pleasantly surprised :)

popeye11
26th May 2009, 08:31 AM
Valmiki songs are absolutely mesmerizing....Amazing interludes....Good sound quality....

Enjoy guys!!!

What an album.. Amazing orchestration .. As RS pointed out all i can do i just have a big smile on my face. :D

"Raaja Still Reigns"

gganesh
26th May 2009, 10:49 AM

naan rendu naala idha inga sollalaama vendaama nu muzhichutu irundhen.. neenga solliteenga :P Need I say that I was pleasantly surprised :)

Pleasantly surprised :D !!

I hate to hear the "Rahmanesque Raaja" phrase.... I believe Raaja sir if interested can always score like Rahman... but not the vice versa... implicitly... I love to hear what Raaja sir scores out of his intuition... I dun want him to be sounded like "others"... I want his brand of "music" not the "sound" of others

rajasaranam
26th May 2009, 11:01 AM
Honey Soaking Melodies in 'Bhagyadha Balegaara'...Iam yet to come to terms since 'Valmiki' Happened, and now this :x We should feel happy that we are not in 80's It should have been like this only then :oops:

Sureshs65
26th May 2009, 11:09 AM
Yup. Old fashioned melodies make up 'Bhagyadha Balegaara'. Don't expect a Valmiki though. The story seems to be that of a bangle vendor and the songs have a lot of folk flavor. The tunes, especially the charanams, have the trademark Raja twist and turn. I found this a very satisfying album.

Sureshs65
26th May 2009, 11:11 AM
gganesh,

No one, just no one, can conjure up the charanam of 'Kooda Varuviya', except Raja. I am quite certain about this. The amazing transition to Kalyani and the melodic quotient going up as the charanam progresses are trademark Raja. So whatever be the 'sound', the tune is unmistakably Raja.

Sanjeevi
26th May 2009, 11:13 AM

yes that is how IR get inspired from new MDs :wink:

and this is one of reasons why I like "Oli Tharum" more than "Kooda Varuviya" :wink:

crajkumar_be
26th May 2009, 12:20 PM
gganesh/suresh,
Adha post panrakku munnadi yosichen indha amdhiri sarchai varumnu. I don't think Thamizhvaanan's comment is a negative one at all.

It need or need not even be a case of consciously 'inspired' or whatever. Its just that i get a Rahmanesque feel when i listen to the song. Maybe not throughout the song but i think its there (pallavi, 2nd interlude etc.) Rajasaranam, TV-kum appadi thonirukku.
Late 70s la sila Raaja paadalgal la MSV feel varra madhiri.

Which is better, which we like more, thats immaterial and thats not what i wished to start here. It just felt kind of different, and definitely a positive feeling :)

P.S: One of my most favorite Rahman songs "Kadhalenum Thervezhudhi" - i find bits of Raaja in there...

raja_fan
26th May 2009, 12:32 PM
Any links for 'Bhagyadha Balegaara' ?

rajasaranam
26th May 2009, 12:42 PM
Any links for 'Bhagyadha Balegaara' ?

Varum. They have done some encoding which doesnt allow us to RIP the CD. Iam doing a research now :)

rajasaranam
26th May 2009, 12:49 PM
Luckily Kannada Audio has the listening Links :)
http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Moviewise/home/Bhagyadha-Balegaara.php

and some Download Links too
http://kannada-music.blogspot.com/2009/05/bhagyadha-balegaara-shivraj-kumar-movie.html
http://www.bangaloreliving.com/kannadamp3songs/Bhagyada-Balegaara-Kannada-Songs.php

And Finally I too managed to Rip :)
The original CD is encoded in 128 Kbps Only. The above links have 320 Kbps! I think they have reencoded from CD that is why there is some noise in those links. Fine let me not bore you with technicalities:) here is my Link http://www.mediafire.com/?hxmdzofiynf

Enjoy!

crvenky
26th May 2009, 01:13 PM
It seems Maestro has set tune to two traditional songs, in Bhagyadha Balegaara.

Sureshs65
26th May 2009, 01:20 PM
CR,

I did not think your comments or Tamizh's comments are negative. What I wanted to point out was the fact that even if the 'sounds' sounded like the modern MDs and the tune itself was 'new' as a Raja tune, there are some characteristics of a Raja tune which this song has. What I pointed out was this similarity. The way the melody is built up in the charanam and the way the smooth transition is done to Kalyani ragam after the second line of the charanam are agmark Raja trademarks. I have no issues if the song sounds 'Rahmanesque' or 'Yuvan Rajaish' :)I cannot mistake this tune to be anyone else other than Raja.

I don't have any issues of any MD being influenced by any other MD as long as that influence is turned into something more original!! All said and done, I love the 'Kooda Varuviya' song very much.

rajasaranam
26th May 2009, 01:32 PM
It seems Maestro has set tune to two traditional songs, in Bhagyadha Balegaara.

I have already checked with a Kannada Music enthusiast and he has confirmed both the songs are Traditional Folk songs - Including the tunes. Only the orchestration is done by Raaja.

Sureshs65
26th May 2009, 01:40 PM
RS,

Listening to the two tunes wherein lyrics are mentioned as 'traditional' I too was wondering whether Raja has tuned them or done the orchestration. I was very sure 'Gallu Gallu' was not a typical Raja song. I wasn't too sure about the other song 'Bhagyada Belagara'. I thought it sounded a bit modern to be a folk song though the lyrics suggest a folk song.

Sureshs65
26th May 2009, 02:25 PM
RS,

A link to an earlier version of the 'Bhagyada Balegara' song can be found at http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Bhaavageethe/home/BhagyadaBalegara.php

rajasaranam
26th May 2009, 02:43 PM
Suresh,

Here is 1 more version of the song: http://as01.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=285875&PHPSESSID=832af

I think Its free form Folk song and there are many tunes available. Raaja should've used one or come up with an entirely new tune.

Hulkster
26th May 2009, 02:58 PM
Kooda Varuviya sounded similar in flow to unnai vida from virumaandi. The second interlude was definitely raaja's as the percussions are uniquely his stamp. But like CR said it is in a positive light so it does not matter. :D

raja_fan
26th May 2009, 03:37 PM
WHAT A FANTASTIC YEAR FOR IR FANS !! :D

If only Mayilu can join this race.... !!

btw..anyone in Chennai hearing these new songs in any FM channels ??

rajasaranam
26th May 2009, 04:00 PM
raja fan,

Dont worry we still have Jagan Mohini, Mathiya Chennai, Ayyan & the Magnum Opus 'Pazhasiraaja'. Hope Mayilu & Prem Kahani joins in.

gganesh
26th May 2009, 04:03 PM
We guys are carefully playing down the words on "Rahmaesque quotient".

I feel melody is Raaja sir's forte. Instruments add only to the melodious tune. I think in that sense, I totally agree with "Sureshs65".

But are we increasingly getting predominated by sounds these days and so start focusing on sounds? I think Raaja sir fans shouldn't and wouldn't do that. I believe the very fact we are his fans reflects our belief in tunes and the intelligence behind those gestations.

Sanjeevi
26th May 2009, 04:03 PM
WHAT A FANTASTIC YEAR FOR IR FANS !! :D

If only Mayilu can join this race.... !!

btw..anyone in Chennai hearing these new songs in any FM channels ??

Yesterday I heard an announcement in a FM

"Ippo Ilaiayrajovoda isaiyula valmigi song varudhu"

and then I listened only 1 or 2 seconds of that song then the cab driver changed channel :evil: .

I think it was "Rekka Katti" song

Sanjeevi
26th May 2009, 04:05 PM
And there is a news

Next Bala film will be with actor Jeeva under R.B.Shoudri production. I heard the movies will not be heavy subject.

gganesh
26th May 2009, 04:06 PM

Enjoy guys!!!

What an album.. Amazing orchestration .. As RS pointed out all i can do i just have a big smile on my face. :D

"Raaja Still Reigns"

He never lost that first of all.

raja_fan
26th May 2009, 04:07 PM
Don't laugh at me...

but "kooda varuviyaa..." has traces of "Solai pushpangale..en sogam sollungale..."...particularly the humming of Gagai Amaran and the dilrooba interlude comes to my mind..

The begining Tabla + flute rythm is so naughty that it sounds as though it will lead to a seductive number like "Dhak dhak karne lagaa..", but what a pleasant surprise... :)

crajkumar_be
26th May 2009, 04:49 PM

I feel melody is Raaja sir's forte. Instruments add only to the melodious tune. I think in that sense, I totally agree with "Sureshs65".

But are we increasingly getting predominated by sounds these days and so start focusing on sounds? I think Raaja sir fans shouldn't and wouldn't do that. I believe the very fact we are his fans reflects our belief in tunes and the intelligence behind those gestations.
FYI, i wasn't speaking about sound there. anyway, idha free a viduvom

rajasaranam
26th May 2009, 05:55 PM

FYI, i wasn't speaking about sound there. anyway, idha free a viduvom

Naanum konjam patha vechukren :twisted:
watever, My mind cant stop going to 'Kurukku siruthavale' whenever I listen to this song. and Yes the song is predominantly 'Rahmanisque'. The reason I had a smile when I listened to this song for the first time was, I had always wanted Raaja to break the Myth that He cant do a 'Rahmanisque' Melody. But when we listen to the song keenly in parts its a Raaja song, Only the packaging had made the difference. His grasping power in understanding music is beyond our perception and he could have done this even before is what I think. May be the Director was the asst. of Shankar should've prompted him to do this now is what I feel. :)

Hulkster
26th May 2009, 06:19 PM
Is this the first time Udit Narayanan is singing for thalaivar? Any insight on this?

raja_fan
26th May 2009, 06:40 PM
Why is there a break of voice just at the end of the first charanam of "kooda varuviya" ?
a recording mistake ??

crvenky
26th May 2009, 06:50 PM
Hulkster, I remember he sang in Namma Preetiya Ramu (remake of Kaasi).

- Naa kano lokavannu (Naan kaanum ulagangal)
- Duddilde hodaru (Rokkam irukkira)

krish244
26th May 2009, 06:52 PM
Is this the first time Udit Narayanan is singing for thalaivar? Any insight on this?

He has sung for IR in the kannada version of "Kasi". I think its kannada version of "Naan kaanum" song.

Krishnan

raagas
26th May 2009, 07:02 PM
Udit Narayan also sang in the Telugu version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Hulkster
26th May 2009, 07:04 PM
Oh, good choice. His voice sounds much more better in kannadam. BTW Nannanne Noduvanu is a amazing melody that can make anyone melt. Except for the fact it is mostly synth the songs are all on repeat mode. Except for two songs and one remake(Balegara Balegara) requested by the director, the rest are original tunes.

raagas
26th May 2009, 07:07 PM
I am yet doubtful abt Kooda varuviya song. Is it really Bela Shinde and not Shreya Ghoshal? Or was it a printing mistake on CD.

Was it Bela Shinde in Nannavanu's "Mutthamma"? If yes, then she sounds totally different in Kooda varuviya.

Sureshs65
26th May 2009, 07:53 PM
Hulk,

Udit Narayan's Kannada pronunciation is atrocious. For 'Naa Jothege' (should mean something like 'along with me') he says 'Nachi Dekhe' (which in Hindi means, 'You dance, let me see' :) Horrible.

Sureshs65
26th May 2009, 07:54 PM
Hulk,

'Balegara Balegara' is a remake of which song?

krish244
26th May 2009, 08:10 PM
I am yet doubtful abt Kooda varuviya song. Is it really Bela Shinde and not Shreya Ghoshal? Or was it a printing mistake on CD.

Was it Bela Shinde in Nannavanu's "Mutthamma"? If yes, then she sounds totally different in Kooda varuviya.

Raagas, Bela Shende's voice is a mix of Sadhana Sargam and Shreya Ghoshal. Her voice has the sweetness of Shreya's voice in most ranges and in some ranges (especially high pitches), she sounds like Sadhana (with a tint of Shreya's voice). You can listen to all her songs (for Yuvan in some movie, for IR in "Unakkulle" song in Dhanam, etc.). For lot of reasons, Shreya is still my favourite, but Bela is trying to catch up. She needs to certainly catch up on pronunciation.

Yes, her style of singing in Nannavanu makes it sound different and little nasal too.

thanks,

Krishnan

ananth222
26th May 2009, 09:11 PM
dunno if this was already posted...
http://www.chalchaleinthefilm.com/main.html
2 short sample loops, and a couple of candid snaps of IR in the "gallery". sounds promising!
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgqQ3pMOHig

thamizhvaanan
26th May 2009, 11:35 PM
But are we increasingly getting predominated by sounds these days and so start focusing on sounds? I think Raaja sir fans shouldn't and wouldn't do that. I believe the very fact we are his fans reflects our belief in tunes and the intelligence behind those gestations.Yes! I also think Raaja sir fans ought to be mature enough to appreciate what one means by saying Rahmanesque instead of dismissing it as a sound-obsessed comment. After all, being his fan itself gives a "no-validation-required promotion" to elite listeners league, they will be well served if they dont advertise their inability to appreciate *other* good stuff.

Certainly I can say, (even CR would say) that it is not about the sound (I didnt even think about it). People who have enjoyed both these legends music heartily will know where each one's sweet spot lies and when the MD has done something out of normal.

kiru
27th May 2009, 03:28 AM
But are we increasingly getting predominated by sounds these days and so start focusing on sounds? I think Raaja sir fans shouldn't and wouldn't do that. I believe the very fact we are his fans reflects our belief in tunes and the intelligence behind those gestations.Yes! I also think Raaja sir fans ought to be mature enough to appreciate what one means by saying Rahmanesque instead of dismissing it as a sound-obsessed comment. After all, being his fan itself gives a "no-validation-required promotion" to elite listeners league, they will be well served if they dont advertise their inability to appreciate *other* good stuff.

Certainly I can say, (even CR would say) that it is not about the sound (I didnt even think about it). People who have enjoyed both these legends music heartily will know where each one's sweet spot lies and when the MD has done something out of normal.

Thamizh.. I dont know why some of us feel here these songs are Rahmanesque. Probably Ganesh also is not very sure. But Rahman is synonymous with a "new sound". Actually, Rahman himself, said in one interview that "we have a created a new sound". On the other hand, IR insists that music is nothing new, but he might say "adhi irukkira ovvuru notum ennOdadhu". So in essence I dont think there is anything wrong in Ganesh mentioning this ie. it does not reflect negatively on Rahman.
Of late, you can see the new songs of IR shows a conscious attempt to provide new "rhythm arrangements". Also, in vaalmiki, the percussion/rhythm is recorded at a higher level than is the norm in IR's songs. I feel IR is "forcing" himself to do this, atleast that is my perception. I am not sure that this is good. Maybe one reason a malayalam producer recently specifically asked for "tabla" song.
(BTW, guys, I think vaalmiki songs sound like kaathal jathi songs to me, in style of composing, please (rec)check it out).

ananth222
27th May 2009, 03:41 AM
Of late, you can see the new songs of IR shows a conscious attempt to provide new "rhythm arrangements". "Of late"? What about "abbani theeyani"? "Nila adhu vaanathumele"? "Maasi maasam"? "Kaattu kuyilu"?
All this talk abt "new sound" and "new rhythm" is balderdash. its all been done before, even before IR. What is important is whether the song is good when the tune, rhythm, orchestration, voice, lyrics etc come together.

kiru
27th May 2009, 04:08 AM
Of late, you can see the new songs of IR shows a conscious attempt to provide new "rhythm arrangements". "Of late"? What about "abbani theeyani"? "Nila adhu vaanathumele"? "Maasi maasam"? "Kaattu kuyilu"?
All this talk abt "new sound" and "new rhythm" is balderdash. its all been done before, even before IR. What is important is whether the song is good when the tune, rhythm, orchestration, voice, lyrics etc come together.
Let me scramble to qualify my statement :-) . I am completely in agreement with you - on new arrangements earlier and also everything coming to gether to get a hit. If you see the earlier "hits" or "popular hits" of IR all of them have innovative arrangements, atleast in the pallavi. Many of them would use more than two percussion instruments. Recently though, the focus is on using "synth drum kit" and this is what I am referring to (and I am also referring to the "focus" on this). (And you are right about or agree with you on this being done before IR as well).

irir123
27th May 2009, 04:24 AM
"Kooda varuviya" is the modern day equivalent of "kaadhalin theebam ondru" in terms of the freshness, the audacious melody and the way it has taken everyone by storm!!

"oli tharum" belongs to the league of "aa dinagalu" from the kannada film with the same name! the same feel, the same flow and rich melody - the strings played feel like someone caressing with peacock feathers! such images can only be evoked by IR's music - and when Bela Shinde goes "thirundhiya pinney, varundhavadheno, varuvadhu vasanthangaley" the ascending tune , followed by the keyboard/piano is a perfect smooth musical roller-coaster ride!

oh boy! the more I listen to it, the more I see IR's natural flow that I thought was somehow missing every now and then in recent times

wonder whats the Raga "kooda varuviya" based on ? it feels like Hindustani based and definitely IR shd score songs like this in Hindi - they wud become big hits

Sureshs65
27th May 2009, 08:37 AM
irir123,

'Kooda Varuviya' is a mixture of two ragas I think. I am not yet sure on the raga which opens this song. (Pahadi, Mohana Kalyani) but from the third line of the charanam ('Malarvanam Poo Poopadhum'.) onwards it turns in Kalyani (or Yaman, which is the Hindustani equivalent).

jaiganes
27th May 2009, 09:39 AM
Dont get me wrong...
Achadicha kaasa and Ennada Paandi
is my pick from the first listen. I am going bonkers with these two.
Then the next is 'thendralum marudhu' - Shreya can get certified as 'suththa thamizh ponnu' just based on the diction of this song.
who has sung Ennada paandi? andha aalukku en saarbil aayiram pon

Sureshs65
27th May 2009, 09:48 AM
Jai,

You wrote what I wanted to write :) I was listening to 'Ennada Pandi' and thought that it was one more feather in Raja's cap. BTW, it is Raja himself who has sung the song!! The song is a lovely 'pettai' or 'gana' song. The class of IR shines through and his grasp on various idioms is enviable. As rajasaranam had stated earlier, this is authentic 'gaana' (The only song which comes close to this is from IR's unreleased movie, 'Kaathal Jaathi'. That has a lovely gaana type song, 'Anne Anne'). Both the songs mentioned by you are in a loop.

Sureshs65
27th May 2009, 10:04 AM
Reg 'Thenralum Marudhu', rajasaranam had earlier said that this song reminds him of Raja's Mallu songs and I too think the same way. The way synth is used in this song and the way the tune develops is very similar to songs like, 'Punnara Poo' from Friends (Malayalam). I like this song too. As a whole Valmiki is very satisfying with every song being top class.

raja_fan
27th May 2009, 11:23 AM
Watch "Ennada paandi" along with the trailer in youtube. Fitting well for the film..

raagas
27th May 2009, 11:26 AM

Raagas, Bela Shende's voice is a mix of Sadhana Sargam and Shreya Ghoshal. Her voice has the sweetness of Shreya's voice in most ranges and in some ranges (especially high pitches), she sounds like Sadhana (with a tint of Shreya's voice). You can listen to all her songs (for Yuvan in some movie, for IR in "Unakkulle" song in Dhanam, etc.). For lot of reasons, Shreya is still my favourite, but Bela is trying to catch up. She needs to certainly catch up on pronunciation.

Yes, her style of singing in Nannavanu makes it sound different and little nasal too.

thanks,

Krishnan

I now remember, Bela Shinde sang a wonderful song for ARR in Jodha Akbar called "Manmohana". Yes, she does sound like Shreya Ghoshal... infact i mistook that Manmohana was by Shreya Ghoshal when i first heard it. Ilaiyaraaja has used her voice very well in Kooda Varuviya. Exceptionally good composition.

raagas
27th May 2009, 11:29 AM
Hulk,

Udit Narayan's Kannada pronunciation is atrocious. For 'Naa Jothege' (should mean something like 'along with me') he says 'Nachi Dekhe' (which in Hindi means, 'You dance, let me see' :) Horrible.

This is one area in which Ilaiyaraaja disappoints me now and then... though not always - Singer Selection. I am all the more shocked that he choose Udit Narayan, who doesnt know the language. Yes, he took Asha Bhonsle and Shreya Ghoshal too, who never knew the language, but the way he made them sound was excellent. Here he completely disappointed.

Sureshs65
27th May 2009, 11:33 AM
raagas,

Maybe he took Udit Narayan on request from the producer / director since Udit Narayan is a very famous name in Kannada music nowadays. I can't understand why but that is the truth :(

rajasaranam
27th May 2009, 12:25 PM
who has sung Ennada paandi? andha aalukku en saarbil aayiram pon

Neenga Aasaipatta maathiri Raaja aduththa Non-Filmy Album Pannumbdthu antha Aayiram Ponnayum avarkittaye koduthudunga :)

raagas
27th May 2009, 12:30 PM

from one perspective.. I agree.. But then..i dont think it is completely false. there has always been that 'new sound' advent in Indian films. And i dont credit only ARR for new sound in the complete history of film music. It is equally applicable to other trendsetters too. Naushad gave a new sound in his days. R.D.Burman gave a new sound (and kind of inculcated the sound sense too). Ilaiyaraaja too gave a new sound, breaking many then existing cliches. And later ARR brought a new sound.It doesnt mean new 'Music', as IR often defines it.it doesnt mean that the 'change' is in same dimension too.The 'new sound' is just the demarcation between how things were and how things are. Ilaiyaraaja too did that.So i dont think its complete nonsense.

raagas
27th May 2009, 12:32 PM
raagas,

Maybe he took Udit Narayan on request from the producer / director since Udit Narayan is a very famous name in Kannada music nowadays. I can't understand why but that is the truth :(

I know.. that is obvious. but just such a compromise is something we really dont want to associate IR with. But then, we need to face it.. that even he does compromise at times.. esp when it comes to singer selections.

ananth222
27th May 2009, 06:16 PM
there has always been that 'new sound' advent in Indian films. ... It doesnt mean new 'Music', as IR often defines it.it doesnt mean that the 'change' is in same dimension too.The 'new sound' is just the demarcation between how things were and how things are. Ilaiyaraaja too did that.So i dont think its complete nonsense.That is exactly my point. There was a contention that IR songs are better due to (or worse, for lack of) new sounds. A song does not become good or bad just because of "new sound". Its like changing font - we don't use old style fonts now, but that doesn't make the text much better. Just makes it easier to read for the current generation. Someone who comes up with a "new font" can't be credited with changing literature just for that contribution.
And when did IR define "new sound" as "new music"? I mean, did he say that somewhere?

Plum
27th May 2009, 06:37 PM
anantn2222, yes, when Raja was about Rahman's current-age, he was talking about new sounds, using new instruments like 'Recorder' etc.But that wasnt his prime agenda even then, but it was an aspect he gave lot of importance then
Look ehre for personal experiences of a fan, and actual letters from IR to the fan:
http://isai-alias-raja.blogspot.com

ananth222
27th May 2009, 06:49 PM
Yes, but he didn't say that that is "new music". (We already agreed that IR, those before him, and those after him have all intrduced new sounds)

Plum
27th May 2009, 06:55 PM
yeah, new sounds isnt big deal. Thats happening all the time. Even Chandrabose's sounds were 'new' or 'different' compared to IR's. Its not a big deal really. Thats got nothing to do with 'music'. Basically, we agree on the semantics

ananth222
27th May 2009, 07:51 PM
Basically, we agree on the semantics Thanks :)
My only point is, don't write off a music album just cos it doesn't have enough "new sounds". a lot of people won't read a good book just cos the font is not appealing. But they'll read through crap if the font is nice. And then they'll rave about it, just cos they managed to sit and read the whole book. Its an unfortunate reality that such superficial things are extremely significant in marketing art, but I'd hope that the people who take the trouble to come and post on music discussion forums will be a little more motivated.
Or maybe its just a case of: http://e1.simplecdn.net/slashw/duty_calls.png

app_engine
27th May 2009, 08:17 PM
I have a theory that IR's quest for new sounds got stalled from the time of MTK :-( i.e. when he worked with MSV in close contact.

Possibly from that point he wanted to focus more on melody part and compete in that area. Ofcourse there were sound innovations beyond that point for some MR movies and such but they were probably initiated more by the producer / director than IR, IMO. OTOH, prior to that, he was always seeking sounds (senO reetA, madai thiRandhu, endRendum AnandhamE...we can keep listing many)

I agree innovative sounds != innovative music, but they definitely set trends and are cooool:-)

app_engine
27th May 2009, 08:28 PM
NK ( 2 gems), NL (3 gems), AM (2 gems so far), vAlmIki (4 gems so far) and other language scores (bhAgya dEvatha had a couple of nice songs)...IR is on a roll.

Reminds me of my collge days when there'll be a disc every other week with 2-3 great numbers. Frequent visits to "recording centers" with TDK cassettes / walkman running a variety of IR songs all the time.

That he is repeating such feat after 25 years is incredible, to say the least!

raja_fan
27th May 2009, 09:34 PM
app_engine,

Yes, I was thinking on the similar lines..

How can a guy come out with fresh music even after thousands of sittings spanning over 33 years ?!

It is a wonder that this guy's brain has not yet gone mad !!

Sureshs65
27th May 2009, 09:57 PM
app_eng,

To your score I would conservatively add: Bhagyadevatha (3 gems), Nannavanu (3 gems - atleast 2 :), Bhagyada Belagara (2 gems). And all these are gems, not just 'good' songs, mind you :)

After hearing the 'gaana' songs in Valmiki, I am looking forward to such songs in 'Madhiya Chennai'.

svbp007
28th May 2009, 12:00 AM
app_engine,

Yes, I was thinking on the similar lines..

How can a guy come out with fresh music even after thousands of sittings spanning over 33 years ?!

It is a wonder that this guy's brain has not yet gone mad !!

I want to respond with two points to above:

1. May be it did impact his brain. You can see this by his erratic behaviour. I am not saying this to criticize...but just realize the fact that this is the other side of the eccentric talent he has.

2. I do not at all wonder when he comes up with fresh music like this. I do get inspired that he has the energy to do it when he does it...but clearly the past few years songs pale in comparison to his prior experiments and output. So when a Vaalmiki comes along...it is the same raaja we knew that shows up. So, I cannot complain on one side and then wonder at same time how he does it. More importantly, the 'wonder' factor was when he was at 300 movies type of score. Despite so many movies...and so many every year ..he still generated gem after gem. So, all the wonder is all at that time...and he is past that. If he went past all that...the rest of the 100s landmarks are only more 'count' as he was beyond belief long time ago.

Sureshs65
28th May 2009, 12:45 AM
In the wake of Valmiki, I think 'Unnai Ennaku' from Azhagar Malai has been under appreciated. Wonderful song with superb orchestration. Listen to the bass in this song. Though it seems to be synth bass, the bass lines are well written. The keyboards also play a nice part in this song. Added to it is Raja's lovely handling of Hamsadhwani. Worth a very keen listen. (As usual the rediff reviewer said this was a mildly interesting song :)

Sureshs65
28th May 2009, 08:53 AM
app_eng,

I am not sure if it was you or irir123, who had earlier suggested that Raja needs to do a lot of films, like he did in 80s, and his form will return. Turns out to be true :) The more he does the more innovative he will be. Innovation is in his blood and given do more, he is bound to come up with newer ideas and if the directors are able to impress him with their stories, we have a feast ahead.

raagas
28th May 2009, 11:46 AM
there has always been that 'new sound' advent in Indian films. ... It doesnt mean new 'Music', as IR often defines it.it doesnt mean that the 'change' is in same dimension too.The 'new sound' is just the demarcation between how things were and how things are. Ilaiyaraaja too did that.So i dont think its complete nonsense.That is exactly my point. There was a contention that IR songs are better due to (or worse, for lack of) new sounds. A song does not become good or bad just because of "new sound". Its like changing font - we don't use old style fonts now, but that doesn't make the text much better. Just makes it easier to read for the current generation. Someone who comes up with a "new font" can't be credited with changing literature just for that contribution.
And when did IR define "new sound" as "new music"? I mean, did he say that somewhere?

Thats right. A song can be good by its own inherent aspects. Sound is actually related to the crispness of the packaging, if i can call it that way.Ofcourse, it also has to do with the instruments used.Karthikraja once remarked (in 1997) that he would credit ARR for bringing in a new sound to Indian films...Fairly true, bcoz the overall sound of the indian film music changed after 1992 and he had a role in it (Lyricists Javed Akhtar & Gulzar too pointed out the same). Now coming to Ilaiyaraaja, i think he did exactly what ARR did in 90s, to the sound.He brought in new sensibilities of sound that other composers eventually adopted that sound culture. Thats why we at times get confused if a certain song is by IR or Shankar-Ganesh (there were some similar songs isnt it). Ofcourse, the trademark ideas could never be replicated and thats why IR was/is IR.
The time zones are different, but otherwise IR was very modern in 80s, when he was scoring bigtime. I think the only negative aspect was that the quality of sound or the emphasis he gave to sound, in 90s, was inconsistent. Like a Agni Nakshtram or Mouna Raagam had much more crisp (and modern) sound than couple of albums in 90s. That inconsistency did become apparent in 90s.
Yet, he always surprised me with a ultra-modern fusion-ish sound at times, like in Meetadha Oru Veenai. That was class apart. IR is IR guys... anyday.

raagas
28th May 2009, 11:50 AM

In one of the recent interviews, IR asked "Can anyone create new music?... nobody can.." ofcourse... his answer was in the larger context.. and what he said was a fact.. because the notes are always the same... and scales are always the same..a Bhairavi 50yrs ago will be the same bhairavi now.. That was what he was meaning.

But i think, the interviewer didnt put the context properly. I think the interviewer meant to ask about "new styles of music and new sounds", which seem to be norm.But lookslike the interviewer didnt get those right keywords and IR gave a larger context answer. :)

Plum
28th May 2009, 03:50 PM
suresh, I think it was Kiru who suggested that

Sureshs65
28th May 2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks Plum for the correction. I knew one of the regulars had spoken about it but didn't know which thread to search :( As they say in Hindi, whoever said it, 'Uske Moo Mein Ghee Shakkar' :)

raagas
28th May 2009, 04:56 PM
he is bound to come up with newer ideas and if the directors are able to impress him with their stories, we have a feast ahead.

The feast is already ON... I am only waiting for more non-film instrumental albums. Once he gives 1 or 2 albums.. i guess that makes the platter complete. I really wish he does some orchestral or fusion stuff.

I am hopeful about good songs in Chal Chalein , SRK and Pa.

And what happened to Jaganmohini? There was one more commercial telugu film i think, apart from Singeetham's Thyagaraja.

And in Malayalam, Pazhassi Raja is there.

app_engine
28th May 2009, 07:13 PM
For some reason, vAlmIki songs (at least two of them) bring back the 'azhagi' feeling. 'poo sirikkudhu' of 'pAttuchcholli' and 'oLi tharum sooriyan' of 'oLiyilE therivadhu'.

May be the arrangements. Ofcourse, the melodies are new and definitely fresh. However, I can't help getting the feeling / nostalgia of azhagi.

Hope the film does full justification to the songs. My hunch feeling is the tunes of the songs will dominate the background music for related situations - played in different paces / instruments etc. If the film is taken aesthetically, the BGM combo will be a treat :-)

kiru
29th May 2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks Plum for the correction. I knew one of the regulars had spoken about it but didn't know which thread to search :( As they say in Hindi, whoever said it, 'Uske Moo Mein Ghee Shakkar' :)
Suresh/Plum, it is just not my observation. I was told by people close to IR that he accepts all sorts of assignments mainly because he wants to keep the "juices flowing".
BTW, I am slowly getting on the wavelength with you guys on vaalmiki songs. I now like kooda varuviya..initially I got put off by the first two words :-) . Still I cannot figure out why rs thinks it is Rahmaneque. It is not the same groove that is repeated. IR modifies it in the charanams and as his usual practice he completely gives a different rhythm in the second interlude. Maybe the "conscious flow" of the tune seems like Rahmanish ( compare this with the "unobstructed flow" in oLI tharum) or (my best bet) it is the way the singer sings it - non-native speaker, not distinguishing between words in a sentence :-( I noticed the lyrics only after I saw it in text here. My pick though is oLi tharum..vintage IR ..very fitting rhythm, strings and piano backing..amazing ..notice the string bridging parts of the charnam when another singer starts over. As already observed pronounciation is terribly wanting in this song by the female singer. She is focussed on getting kizhakku right, she messes up viLakku.

Overall, It is a very, very fresh album, even though I notice some traces of kaathal jaathi in kooda varuviya (btw, seems like kalyani, with traces of kaaRRil varum gethamE song from srikanth movie) and rekkai katti parakkudhu.
As others have observed, I am also amazed that IR can give fresh tunes even after so many tunes have been given out already..Math teachers should cite him as example when teaching permutations !!!!! Students will understand the concept better with this real life example (actually I feel I would have appreciated math or music better, if I had been exposed to music technicals much earlier in my childhood).

app_engine
29th May 2009, 01:03 AM
Still I cannot figure out why rs thinks it is Rahmaneque. It is not the same groove that is repeated. IR modifies it in the charanams and as his usual practice he completely gives a different rhythm in the second interlude. Maybe the "conscious flow" of the tune seems like Rahmanish

கூட வருவியா, கூட வருவியா
பூ சிரிக்குது பூ சிரிக்குது

இப்படி ரெண்டு வாட்டி பாடுறது ரஹ்மானிஸ்க்'னு ஒரு வேளை தோண வைக்கலாம் :-) (மயிலிறகே, முன்பே வா, சுட்டும் விழி, பார்த்த முதல் நாளில், நெஞ்சினிலே, ஸ்னேகிதனே இப்படி நிறைய ரஹ்மான் / ஹாரிஸ் உதாரணங்கள் இருக்கே:-) )

raja_fan
29th May 2009, 06:31 AM
app_engine,

Then what about "Senthoora poove..senthoora poove.." ,
"Vaanmathiye..vaanmathiye.."
"kaadhal vaanile..kaadhal vaanile..." etc ?? :)

fan_ir
29th May 2009, 10:36 AM
I somehow feel the initial start of "kooda varuviya" has resemblance of Yaro Yarodi - Alai Payuthey. must be the tune :D . Did any one notice the counterpoint between 5:00 - 5:14?

krish244
29th May 2009, 01:43 PM
Bela Shende's pronunciation is really bad especially in "Oli tharum" song. Every time she pronounces "OLi" as "Ozhi" including the very first time. Surprisingly she pronounces "IruL" well. Again she messes "ViLakkaanen" (she pronounces as "Vizhukkanen"). I really hope she improves (like Shreya) in this area. Even I did not expect this to happen under IR.

BTW, I just love the way the strings of violins (2:18 - 2:36 in the first interlude) is used to play very short passages with subtle variations. This kind of short passages is not the usual IR's style. Too Good. As said earlier, the short 2nd interlude is there to die for.

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
29th May 2009, 09:33 PM
பேலே ஷிண்டே "கைகளோடு கைகள் கோர்த்து.." என்று பாடும் போது ஒரு கொஞ்சல் இருக்கே...அது ஒன்னே போதும் :)

ஆனால்..அது என்ன..முதல் சரணத்தின் முடிவில் ஒரு விக்கல் போல ஹம்மிங்கில் ஒரு விரிசல் ??

யாருமே கவனிக்கவில்லையா ? ராஜா கூடவா ?

irir123
30th May 2009, 05:24 AM
What happened to the release of NANDALALA ??

May 31 is just two days away !

krish244
30th May 2009, 09:10 PM
Looks like IR is confirmed for Jagathy's (malayalam)
next directorial venture.

http://malayalam.galatta.com/entertainment/malayalam/livewire/id/Jagathy_third_directorial_venture_25740.html

"The cast is yet to be finalized. Planned as a comedy-action thriller, the film will have five songs by music maestro Ilayaraja. The film will be shot in Kerala and abroad. More details are awaited."

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
30th May 2009, 09:59 PM
So..Yet to be released films ( confirmed films only )..

1. Nandhalala.
2. Valmiki.
3. Jaganmohini.
4. Mayilu.
5. Madhiya Chennai.
6. Aiyyan.

7. Thyagayya.

8. Nannavanu.
9. Bhagyada Balegara.
10. Suryakanthi.

11. Pazhassi Raja.
12. Jagathy's film.
13. Alexander the great (Mohanlal)

14. Paa.
15. SRK.
16. Chal Chalein.

Vow !!

15+ projects in the fourth decade of his career :)

raja_fan
30th May 2009, 10:05 PM
missed

17. Azhagar Malai

kameshratnam
31st May 2009, 09:26 AM
Valmiki cd not available...not yet released..... :oops:

crvenky
31st May 2009, 10:10 AM
raja_fan: Pls add Kannukkulle, Sethupathi Seemayile etc.

Plus, there are many 'status unknown' films like Ajantha, Fazil's movie, etc.

raja_fan
31st May 2009, 10:26 AM
Whose is Kannukkulle ?

raja_fan
31st May 2009, 10:27 AM
Whose is Kannukkulle ?

I don't want to rumours like Fazil's film, Ameer's film etc in the list. Let it be confirmed..

crvenky
31st May 2009, 10:29 AM
Its from another newbies team. This is the news I got from Ju.Vi.

லேனா மூவேந்தர் சொன்ன "கண்ணுக்குள்ளே" கதையைக் கேட்டு உருகிவிட்டாராம், இளையராஜா. வயலின் இசைக் கலைஞன் ஒருவனுடைய கதை இது. படம் முழுக்க வயலின் நாதம் பெருக்கெடுக்குமாம்.

" இதுல நடிக்கிற ஹீரோ அழகா இருக்காரோ... இலலையோ... வயலின் பத்தி தெரிந்ஞ்சவரா இருக்க்ணும். அவரோட ஒவ்வொரு அசைவும் தத்ரூபமாகணும். அப்போதான் படம் ஜெயிக்கும்! " என்று டைரக்டருக்கு அட்வைஸ் கொடுத்தாராம் இளையராஜா. இதையடுத்து ஏழெட்டுப் படங்களில் நடித்த மிதுன் என்பவரைக் கூட்டிப் போய் ராஜா முன்னால் வயலின் வாசித்துக் காட்டச் சொன்னாராம் லேனா. அந்த பரீட்சையில் பாஸ் ஆன பிறகே ஹீரோ ஆனாராம் மிதுன்.

Sureshs65
31st May 2009, 09:16 PM
Kamesh,

I got the CD in Bangalore today.

raja_fan
1st June 2009, 08:40 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2009/06/01/stories/2009060157820200.htm

k_vanan
2nd June 2009, 11:28 AM
did anybody watched adoor's "aadum kuthu" premier at malaysian TV Astro Box-office ?

:o

Sureshs65
2nd June 2009, 04:36 PM
If it is Adoor's film, it must be 'Nizhal Kuthu'. I think 'Aadum Koothu' is a Tamil film and not by Adoor.

app_engine
2nd June 2009, 07:58 PM
After listening to both vAlmiki & azhagar malai for more than a week continuously, my choice is heavily in favor of AM than vAlmiki :-)

அது நம்ம ட்ரேட் மார்க் ராசா :-)

May be the native rhythms / rustic nature that always win over me. All the four songs (karuga mani, kezhakku veLukkudhu, muththammA, onna enakku) are agmark Raja and also full of energy that was recently not seen in IR songs!

Other than IR, almost all the singers are pathetic, but that's not something new in IR's output and we're quite used to it.

The best part is Bhavadharini :-) It's like listening to karoke , with IR's background music and one of your relatives -some chithi / periamma / aththai / cousin -singing.

No refinement / no professional feel - ஏதோ நம்ம வீட்டுல ஒருத்தர் பாடுற உணர்வு :-)

writeface
2nd June 2009, 09:26 PM
Bhagyadha Balegara: What a wonderful album from Raja!

Sureshs65
2nd June 2009, 10:04 PM
app_eng,

I can say that of the recent releases of Raja, these three Bhayadevatha, Azhagar Malai and Valmiki, are the ones which I have played without skipping even one song. I would personally rate Valmiki a bit, just a little bit, higher due to 'Ennada Paandi' and 'Achadicha Kaasa'. Valmiki's singers are better than AM singers.

LOL on your description of Bhavatharini's singing :) Sigh. I do wish someone like Chitra or Shreya had sung this.

Added to these songs are the songs of 'Nannavanu'. Atleast three of them are outstanding. Life is a musical mess as of now and I am loving it :)

writeface
2nd June 2009, 11:11 PM
Raja turns 66 today!

rajasaranam
3rd June 2009, 07:35 AM
did anybody watched adoor's "aadum kuthu" premier at malaysian TV Astro Box-office ?

:o

It was TV Chandran's Aadum Koothu. The Download links (http://masthiland.blogspot.com/2009/05/aadum-koothu-2009-cheran-700mb-original.html) are all over the net but the music is credited to 'Isaac Thomas Kottukapally' ?!! Even till the release of the movie in Goa film festival around 2006/2007 the movies music was being told as 'Raaja's , Dont know what happened :( I even remember reading Cherans' TVChandrans or Navya's interview in AV/Kumudam highly Praising Raaja's music for Aadum Koothu!!!

krish244
3rd June 2009, 03:59 PM
The below link says that IR is most likely to compose for a new movie named "Nee indri naan illai". This movie is done by the same team (including screenplay by Kalaignar) as "Uliyin Osai". The unbelievable part is that it says it will have lyrics by Vairamuthu and Pa.Vijay.

I doubt if IR will accept it. Lets see.

http://malayalam.galatta.com/entertainment/malayalam/livewire/id/Meera_Jasmine_in_Nee_Indri_Naan_Illai_25897.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
4th June 2009, 02:55 PM
Did any one notice that the charanam of "Balegara balegara.." song is a rehash of the charanam of "Vaan megangale.." from Puthiya Vaarpugal ?

even that "koo..kukkoo.." is evident. :)

krish244
4th June 2009, 04:37 PM
Raja_fan, when i heard the song for the first time, I felt very nostalgic about the beginning of charanam and the "koo..kukoo" part, but I just could not crack my brain which is jumbled with probably thousands of IR's tunes. Now, after you revealing it, I heard it again and yes, the core of charanam is taken from charanam of "Vaan megangale song".

Great finding!

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
4th June 2009, 07:43 PM
Another Kannada movie for IR titled "Hare Rama Hare Krishna" based on some real incident, it seems:

http://entertainment.in.msn.com/southcinema/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3038047

thanks,

Krishnan

writeface
4th June 2009, 10:36 PM
raja_fan,

Great finding! Now you have spoiled the song for me:)

I am utterly hooked to this song. I too felt echoes from an old melody there but I couldn't place it. Hasn't this become a recurring pattern recently? (not in a negative way, I absolutely love his improvisations). Nevertheless, I was wondering IR's charanams have gotten way better all of a sudden.

Krishnan is right. I listen to IR only exclusively (TFM,KFM,MFM) and my mind is filled with so many of his songs - yet, it is so difficult to identify source of such variations.

Wf.

Sureshs65
4th June 2009, 11:20 PM
raja_fan,

Yes, the 'koo koo koo' part is reminiscent of 'Vaan Megangale' charanam. Still the song sounds so different and new!! Wonder how he does it. He did it in 'Allipoove' where the 'Sendoorapoove' influence was clearly shown. Here it is a bit hidden. Both songs are lovely nevertheless.

writeface
4th June 2009, 11:50 PM
VAlmiki:

Acchadicha kaasai - The last 40 seconds of this song! What happened to IR here... He makes this wonderful transition to flute, piano! WTF is going on there?:-)

oLI tharum - The piano ripples and the strings in the intro... and the recurring piano strokes during the pallavi and the bass - what a joy!
The quickening piano's crescendo at the end of charanam and the bass guitar (4:50-5:00) when pallavi is repeated immediately after the last charanam are wonderful.

ennada paandi - love the way IR stresses on kuttichuvarai kELu:-)

poo sirikkudu - The harmonium sticking its nose out even before the pallavai ends! Wonder if IR himself played it. The charanam is absolutely lovely, especially when she goes "muththunna muththuththaan moodivaccha muththuthaan" and the flute goes crazy jumping up and down merrily for a few seconds in the pause before he picks up the charanam! Absolute delight! Who is the female singer?

Wf.

raja_fan
5th June 2009, 07:03 AM
Krish, Suresh and writeface,

What to do..
One IR song leads to another nowadays..probably a punishment for being a IR fan since our childhood :)

Even "poo sirikkudhu.." charanam is very nostalgic...leads my mind some where near to the times of "poo mela veesum.." from Echil iravugal etc..not able to spot out the exact inspiration here... ;)
but you see..IR has a formula..even for a slum based love affair !

Hulkster
5th June 2009, 08:53 AM
Who cares about the tunes, just look at all the orchestration, so definitive of the man himself. They all mould into his trademark style no matter what pattern they adopt. Especially poo sirrikidhu, prelude is amazing.

Sureshs65
5th June 2009, 09:31 AM
True Wf. Valmiki has been a very satisfying album in all respects, tune, orchestration, lyrics and singing.

eagle
5th June 2009, 12:44 PM
Valmiki :

Authentic, vintage IR stuff. I am not sure how it qualitatively differs from the rest of the recent albums but something makes this stands out apart.

I liked all the songs, can see the threads from Kadhalukku mariyadhai, Hey ram, Azhagi, Solla maranadha Kadhai... But the variations he is able to deliver is testimony to the genius.

When i heard the "Achaticha kaasa" thought regular IR kuthu song with highly streamlined rhythm arrangement but what a surprise in the end....

The real HIGHLIGHT of the album is "Ennada Pandi". Felt musically it expresses the disoriented state of the mind. Notice the irregular arrangements... Is this PM? may be if u need anything extraordinary from this man u must be really deserving it or ur story :)...

This song made me remember "kaadhal enbadhu podhu udamai" from PR, "Vaayakatti" from STM.

Excellent audio quality, if it all i need to make a complaint this will b the one... whats the harm giving more space between songs in the CD? looks like first they decided about the capacity and tried to fit the songs :D

This is only recent album from him i am Listening repeatedly.
Way to go IR!!!

raja_fan
5th June 2009, 02:15 PM
Seems Aiyngaran films are holding back Nandhalala release, to push hard their flop Sarvam..

irir123
5th June 2009, 09:30 PM
raja_fan - i dont see the connection - if ppl dont like a movie, are they going to be forced to see it if its run in halls ??

so when is the new release date for Nandhalala ?

kiru
5th June 2009, 11:24 PM
I thought rekkai katti parakkudhu sounded like naagore pakkaththula nammalOda pettai (?)..

jaiganes
5th June 2009, 11:32 PM
I thought rekkai katti parakkudhu sounded like naagore pakkaththula nammalOda pettai (?)..

I too thought the same - That vellai roja number. I loved that one as well!!

app_engine
5th June 2009, 11:46 PM
I'm amazed by the energy of the orchestration of 'kizhakku veLukkudhu', especially the beginning and pallavi. Rousing start!

Very few songs of recent Raja have this kind of thullal, kudhippu etc. Raja has re-invented himself after a long long time:-)

Unfortunately the singers play a spoilsport. Even a old MV / SPB could have taken this song to extra heights:-(

(Raja still has that 'grAmaththu' singing magic in another song - karuga maNi - in the same film at 66, why not call MV/SPB too?)

Karugamani is another nice treat - presenting a pucca village song in a very stylish format, typical of IR. This is possible only for him !

kiru
7th June 2009, 01:21 AM
MV has lost his voice these days. But in those songs he did for IR those days he did a great job
even though he may not be a great singer. Tipu sings well but very mechanically.
Very soon Rahman will sample people,s voices and play it himself on the keyboard !
So these singers have to watch out :-)
My take on the recent albums of IR is - he has been himself.
He has introduced rhythm changes where he normally does. Done non-rhythm instrumental l interludes, used native percussion. Where ever he felt apprpriate etc.
Still I feel he has managed to introduce some innovations in orchestration in line with his wcm based style in oLi tharum.
Yes I think this song is a big deal (only the female singer is spoiling it)

I'm amazed by the energy of the orchestration of 'kizhakku veLukkudhu', especially the beginning
and pallavi. Rousing start!

Very few songs of recent Raja have this kind of thullal, kudhippu etc. Raja has re-invented himself after a long long time:-)

Unfortunately the singers play a spoilsport. Even a old MV / SPB could have taken this song to extra heights:-(

(Raja still has that 'grAmaththu' singing magic in another song - karuga maNi - in the same film at 66, why not call MV/SPB too?)

Karugamani is another nice treat - presenting a pucca village song in a very stylish format, typical of IR. This is possible only for him !

app_engine
7th June 2009, 09:23 AM
In muththammA too, he has let the native percussions have a free hand...keep changing patterns but still within those Raja signature stuff. Very nice to hear those native sounds in a good recording.

Sureshs65
7th June 2009, 01:49 PM
In 'Bagyadha Belagara' too there are lot of native instruments and they do get a free hand. Very nice album where he done work keeping in mind the film's context. Not a Valmiki but nevertheless very nice and consistent sound for that album.

jaiganes
8th June 2009, 07:56 AM
Oli tharum is the apt lesson for any younger MD - how to compose a duet.
leave the carnatic raga, getting hariharan on a plane to chennai and a mumbai singer and other logistics to the side - Get the way you want to play with the voices of singers together, have a conversation designed and fleshed out - as counterpoints or as responses . The way he ends with Raaja's voice ending on the right side and bala's on the left side for the
'Naan illai' and 'nee illai'
providing an effective interplay which is more essential than anything else in a duet.
Classic lesson - with only the pronunciations of the female singer going awry with the 'ozhi'.
song nalla irukkaradhaala, naanum 'poai ozhinnu' ippo vidren.

app_engine
8th June 2009, 11:20 PM
Raja and rowdies :

http://entertainment.in.msn.com/southcinema/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3038047

kiru
11th June 2009, 10:58 AM
jaiganes, I am sure you like pagalnilavu.poo maalaiyE as a fine example of vocal/lyrical counterpoints too.
I feel oLi tharum is a very good POP song (not in a derogatory term). String/drums/piano is a classic arrangement. What I like about this one is IR starts the charanams with the strings ..normally he uses it for the later/higher octave part of the charanam. In this case, he uses piano runs there. To me this gives a fresh feeling.
Also, in the recent albums - am/vaalmiki/n.vanu the songs are filled with much more harmony layers than usual (it is just not good recording) ..whether with rhythm accompaniment or more fills/chords/drones in the background. Do any of you guys feel this way ?

kalnayak
11th June 2009, 01:15 PM
Rediff's review on Valmiki:
http://movies.rediff.com/review/2009/jun/11/valmiki-llayaraja-follows-beaten-track.htm
Comment - Ilayaraja follows the beaten track in Valmiki
It seems rediff doesn't change its opinion even after so many of its readers advised several things.

crajkumar_be
11th June 2009, 01:21 PM
I wish rediff was a print oodagam rather than an online news thing. The paper can be put to appropriate use

Sureshs65
11th June 2009, 05:26 PM
kiru,

It is true that the piano usage does give a fresh feeling. He has used the piano / keyboards wonderfully.

Sureshs65
11th June 2009, 05:32 PM
Well, the rediff review was great comedy. Aakarsh in the comment section has given a good explanation about 'kooda varuviya' song. A reviewer who thinks the charanam of 'kooda varuviya' is not good, need not be taken seriously :)

jaiganes
11th June 2009, 05:55 PM
Well, the rediff review was great comedy. Aakarsh in the comment section has given a good explanation about 'kooda varuviya' song. A reviewer who thinks the charanam of 'kooda varuviya' is not good, need not be taken seriously :)

The most innovative album of the year so far and the reviewer says 'beaten track' - sure it is the beaten track for the review. probably namma PR panna reviewaa?

writeface
11th June 2009, 10:30 PM
Kiru,

As you said earlier, oLi Tharum is a big deal! The first interlude - man!

The playlist on my IPOD: Vaalmiki, Azhagar Malai, Bhagyadevatha, Bhagyadha Balegaru, nannavanu.

Have been listening to these songs for so many days now and I am not even close to being done with them:-) Haven't fallen for any of IR's albums in the last few years like this.

Bhagyada BaLegara - Any takers for the track - Bhagyadha Balegara? The charanam is so good. I have excused IR for using Tippu!

Wf.

Sureshs65
11th June 2009, 11:11 PM
Wf,

Exactly my current playlist as well!! Loving all of them.

Sanjeevi
11th June 2009, 11:38 PM

The most innovative album of the year so far and the reviewer says 'beaten track' - sure it is the beaten track for the review. probably namma PR panna reviewaa?

:lol:

writeface
12th June 2009, 12:28 AM
Suresh65, Nice to know I have company:) We're extremely lucky this year!

kiru
12th June 2009, 01:51 AM
Suresh65, Nice to know I have company:) We're extremely lucky this year!
Suresh/Wf add me to this list as well :-) Even though these albums are typical IR stuff (AM, BB especially) , it is still fresh. This goes to prove you dont need to shop around the world to create a fresh new song !!!. Music is all about the power of the right permutation/combination, I guess.
BTW, isn't there similar lyrics/almost similar tune in tamil - valaiyakara valaiyakara ?? ..not from IR I think.

raja_fan
12th June 2009, 07:51 AM
"nannane noduvanu.." leads me somehow to the interlude of "Sandhana maarbile..." from Nadodi Paattukkaaran..

rajasaranam
12th June 2009, 06:36 PM
Times Of India Review (http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JQ0gvMjAwOS8wNi8xMiNBcjAzMTAw&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom) of Valmiki

app_engine
12th June 2009, 07:44 PM
The TOI review seems to be quite balanced and 99.99% reflecting my thoughts :-)

writeface
12th June 2009, 10:18 PM
Any word on the audio release of Pazhassi Raja?

krish244
13th June 2009, 02:08 AM
Shantanu Moitra interviews Shreya Ghosal in this Radio program. Watch the video:

http://www.planetradiocity.com/videolounge/playvideo.php?vidid=831

She sings a little of "Jaane Dona" and "Unna Vida" songs. Shantanu says IR is one of his favourite and that he is an ardent follower of his music. He really admires the amazing notes of "jaane dona" song. I really wish Shreya had sung "dheemi dheemi" song from Shiva 2006 that really went unnoticed. Shreya has a good memory of tamil words and pronounces decently even without preparation.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
13th June 2009, 08:42 AM
Nice video Krishnan. Very informal discussion and their respect for Raja is very genuine. Enjoyed the video. Thanks.

writeface
14th June 2009, 05:23 AM
Krishnan,

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the interview. I can now put a face to the voice.

Wf.

app_engine
14th June 2009, 08:54 AM
I've recently posted in the TF forum (last song thread) that Shreya has officially entered into my hall of fame and is in company with SJ / KSC / PS, with 'kaNNil pArvai' song (after being impressive with many others recently under IR's baton).

This interview further strengthens her position there :-)

She's brilliant! That too for a northie to recall 'onna vida' is such an authentic fashion! Hats off!!

app_engine
14th June 2009, 09:14 AM
karugu mani, kizhakku veLukkudhu, muththam muththam & the Bhavadharini song...sweet melodies, authentic orchestration with lot of natural instruments, phenomenal signature rhythm patterns, longer interludes typcial of IR!

AM is the most authentic IR album in recent times and sweetest to listen! Without any doubt!

Yesterday muththammA was on loop for the whole day
:wink:

rajasaranam
14th June 2009, 11:47 AM
karugu mani, kizhakku veLukkudhu, muththam muththam & the Bhavadharini song...sweet melodies, authentic orchestration with lot of natural instruments, phenomenal signature rhythm patterns, longer interludes typcial of IR!

AM is the most authentic IR album in recent times and sweetest to listen! Without any doubt!

After Multiple listens of various albums released this year I too join you in hailing AM as the best album of Raaja so far. Valmiki kooda sila neram bore adichiduthu when listening in loop, but Azhagar malai never gives that feeling how many ever times you listen to it, the only song that does not make me go for a repeat button is 'Ulagam Ippo' otherwise this is too sweet an album to listen to the whole day.

The mild eroticism in Muthamma would've gone to greater heights had SPB sung it :(

Sureshs65
14th June 2009, 12:11 PM
Very true RS. SPB or even MV could have taken Muthamma to good heights by their playfulness. Madhu B is a very wrong choice for this song. Technically he may be good but the whole song is 'mildly erotic' was you rightly put it and Madhu sings it without emotion. When the song goes,'adichadadi lucky prizu', it is almost as if someone other than the hero has got that prize!!!

jaiganes
14th June 2009, 01:55 PM

After Multiple listens of various albums released this year I too join you in hailing AM as the best album of Raaja so far. Valmiki kooda sila neram bore adichiduthu when listening in loop, but Azhagar malai never gives that feeling how many ever times you listen to it, the only song that does not make me go for a repeat button is 'Ulagam Ippo' otherwise this is too sweet an album to listen to the whole day.

The mild eroticism in Muthamma would've gone to greater heights had SPB sung it :(

I am a fan of enna senjaalum. It is close to thaanandhana kummi kotti from Athisaya piravi, yet beautifully arranged and put in a different context. Ofcourse the lyrics of the song are very good too.

As far as your gripe on Muthamma - it is the quintessential tussle that was there between KJY and SPB in 80s and 90s. Madhu being in KJY mold, renders it allright, but the playfulness and 'acting' perspective can only be brought by Malaysia or SPB as they are actors too in their own right. Having said that, I feel that the song is really good,
104 degiriyile odambu sudum portions are well sung by MB.
His voice somehow reminds me of MG Sreekumar singing some malayalam songs for raja in 80s and one KJY song that comes to my mind is 'Maane Madhurakozhambe' from Malayalam film pinnilavu.
And what do you guys think about the male chorus in Muthamma? I thought they were good too. After a long time - an IR song where male chorus had some substantial melody to sing (excluding the TiS)

rajasaranam
14th June 2009, 06:10 PM
When the song goes,'adichadadi lucky prizu', it is almost as if someone other than the hero has got that prize!!!

Iam irritated by the way MB sings this line...athu enna lottery ticektta! SPB would've shown the required naughtiness here :wink: and surprisingly Rita had sung the song better than MB.

raja_fan
14th June 2009, 08:01 PM
Saw a advt in a Kannada newspaper today with IR's photo as highlight. I asked the barber (that was where I saw it :) ) what it is about.

He said it is for "Prem Kahani" a new Kannada film going on floors from June 18.

Hulkster
15th June 2009, 06:49 AM
Prem Kahani has already ended its film schedule. Eppova launch penna poraanga?