PDA

View Full Version : IR's New albums - Ver 2008/2009

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

baroque
2nd April 2009, 12:38 AM
I was only curious to know their emotional perspective. No big deal. :)

They review WORLD MUSIC. They may have wider exposure.

Aruna Sairam, L.Subramanyam, Ali akbhar Khar, Zakir Hussain, Ravi Shankar, Jasraj, Shiv Kumar Sharma etc.. WELL RESPECTED Indian musicians and they command HUGE respect from WESTERN audiences and music experts.

They have released several albums collaborating with western artists both classical and contemporary in big labels.

How do they review Yanni instrumentals like YANNI LIVE AT THE ACROPOLIS etc.. or appreciate Persian music?

:ty: :ty: irir123 for reminding me Vivaldi - Four Seasons. :)

It's been long, I took time this morning to dig cds collections pushed way back or didn't check out for some time, forwarded some visibly .. :D

Ghulam abbas khan - tabala,
Fabulous DAVE Brubeck's Jazz track. :bluejump:
MOZART- Symphony No. 40 in G minor
Hayden: Symphony No.104 in D major
Beethoven: Symphony no. 9 in D minor, OP.125, CHORAL.
KENNY G Breathless.
THE VERY BEST OF EAGLES--hotel California :swinghead: , on the border, james dean, the best of love etc..
TOO MUCH MUSIC TOO LITTLE TIME!
vinatha. :)

MumbaiRamki
2nd April 2009, 10:43 PM
"THE WORLD OF MUSIC" journal reviews Ilaiyaraaja's "THIRUVASAGAM - A CLASSICAL CROSSOVER"

http://www.vwb-verlag.com/Katalog/m816.html

Reviewed by Hollie Longman

Has the review been taken off ? I dont see a areview in this link now !

irir123
2nd April 2009, 11:37 PM
MumbaiRamki

article can be downloaded from here

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=cdc459d6fda6123e67cd7f7bd65f7eefe04e75f6 e8ebb871

eagle
3rd April 2009, 01:32 AM
In many ways Raja is very similar to Tyagaraja. Many people swear that Tyagaraja's compositions are as spontaneous as you can get. At the same time, great musicologist like S Ramanathan and S R Janakiraman marvel at the fact that Tyagaraja adhered so strictly to the grammar and in some cases defined the grammar. There was a combination of precision and spontaneity in his compositions. Though Raja deals with a different form of music, I see the same combination of spontaneity and precision in Raja's works.

It may amount to sacrilege .. tyagaraja never had any commercial pressures... BTW another aspect of raja's music is the expression of subtle of emotions.... i dare challenge that no one in tamil film music capable of doing that... it was really a era of subtlety with the lyrics of vairamuthu and the music of raaja... when i think of that particular aspect i remember songs from "un kannil neer vazhinthaal" ....

raja_fan
3rd April 2009, 09:12 AM
Thyagaraja had terrible financial pressures..But he would not budge under it and sell his talent. He lived as a very simple poor soul till the end.

His samadhi at Thiruvaiyaru stands as simple as the saint..One wouldn't believe that this is the place which is visited by greatest vidwans every year !

Sureshs65
4th April 2009, 05:37 PM
eagle,

My intention was not to compare. The basic thing which I am in awe of is the fact that two great composers, in different genres, are accepted both as very spontaneous composers and also the most precise !!! It is like their brain is hard wired for the precision, which never leaves them even in the most spontaneous of times. No offense meant to anyone but compare it with the other music directors of today like Rahman, Harris or Yuvan. All of them work a lot on their compositions, chiseling to get the right sounds, but in many of their compositions I don't find the sort of precision that I find in Illayaraja's compositions. (It is a very difficult point to argue this point because I can't define what I mean by this precision. I can only feel it)

krish244
5th April 2009, 08:50 AM
[tscii:e89c072b51]Amitabh's interview in "The Hindu":

http://www.hindu.com/mag/2009/04/05/stories/2009040550060200.htm

"Do tell briefly about your film that’s been shot in Penang…

The film is “Paa”, as in an endearing form of addressing your father. It stars Abhishek, Vidya Balan and myself. It is being directed by R. Balki who directed me in “Cheeni Kum”, that delightful film two years ago. Balki is a creative genius from the ad world. This is his second film. Our director of photography is from the south too, another genius, PC as he is commonly called, P.C. Sriram and we shall be having music from the great Ilayaraja, also from Chennai. That is all I am authorised to speak about the film at the moment."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:e89c072b51]

eagle
5th April 2009, 04:36 PM
"இளையராஜாவின் இசை பற்றிக் கருத்துச் சொல்ல, இசை தெரியாவிட்டாலும் ரசனை உள்ளம் வேண்டும்"

http://www.thinnai.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=20904026&format=html

Sureshs65
6th April 2009, 08:03 PM
Shouldn't Sathyan Anthikad's movie audio be out by now? This is the one starring Jayaram and suppose to release for Visu. Any updates?

krish244
7th April 2009, 10:48 AM
Sureshs65, the below link says its likely to release on Apr 23. Audio likely to be released this week.

http://malayalam.galatta.com/entertainment/malayalam/livewire/id/Bhagyadevata_on_April_23_23730.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
7th April 2009, 11:30 AM
Dance Director said in "Cofee with Anu" that he directed a Bengali film "Bhagya Devata" in which Rajni played an important role..

wondering if Satyan's film is remake of that, as the title is the same..

raja_fan
7th April 2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry, read "Dance director Raghuram ..."

Nerd
7th April 2009, 08:06 PM
Dance Director said in "Cofee with Anu" that he directed a Bengali film "Bhagya Devata" in which Rajni played an important role..

wondering if Satyan's film is remake of that, as the title is the same..
Digression: Rajini was there only for a song, IIRC.

raja_fan
8th April 2009, 11:49 AM
Nerd,

Raghura specifically told that Rajni played a important role, not just appearance.

krish244
8th April 2009, 12:17 PM
A new movie for IR named "Nimidangal". Going to be made in three languages (Tamil, Telugu and Kannada). News says its a realistic thriller with a message. Directed by Geethakrishna (director of "Time"). News also says music recording in progress.

http://www.chennaionline.com/film/Preview/April09/12Nimidangal-A-Thriller.aspx

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
8th April 2009, 01:03 PM
A new movie for IR named "Nimidangal". Going to be made in three languages (Tamil, Telugu and Kannada). News says its a realistic thriller with a message. Directed by Geethakrishna (director of "Time"). News also says music recording in progress.

http://www.chennaionline.com/film/Preview/April09/12Nimidangal-A-Thriller.aspx

thanks,

Krishnan

TIme ..Now NimidangaL ..
Time had fantastic songs , well picturised , but the movie by itself was a dud !!

raja_fan
8th April 2009, 04:24 PM
Time...excellent tunes..good cinematography..but a crap story..
IR went to Maldives/Mauritius for composing :)

Sanjeevi
8th April 2009, 05:15 PM
Maldives

jaiganes
8th April 2009, 08:29 PM
What is it with Ir and multiligual projects? and all of them get jinxed - we still await the release of 'Ajantha'... hmmm
nalladhu nadhandha sari dhaan.

raja_fan
9th April 2009, 01:57 PM
Jaiganes,

as if all his Tamil films have released...? :)

app_engine
10th April 2009, 12:44 AM
Suryakanthi (Kannada film directed by 'Aa dinagaLu' director) seems to be produced by P Vasu's wife , if this report is correct :

http://kannada.galatta.com/entertainment/kannada/livewire/id/Suryakanti_will_be_super_hit_23739.html

Nerd
10th April 2009, 06:02 AM
What's this?
http://www.dailythanthi.com/THANTHIEPAPER/1042009/MDSG362500_MDS_ALL.jpg

Hulkster
10th April 2009, 07:50 AM
Ajantha ads. Finally its coming out :D

Sanjeevi
10th April 2009, 01:21 PM
Mathiya Chennai is a new film of Raaja?

Hulkster
10th April 2009, 09:19 PM
Yup it is. It stars prakash raj.

Fliflo
11th April 2009, 06:10 PM
More about "Madhiya Chennai"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7v4gw_madhiya-chennai-on-the-sets_shortfilms

ramk1
16th April 2009, 09:37 AM
What happened to Nandalala? No news about it so far. Is it going to be released or canned forever.

Hulkster
16th April 2009, 09:41 AM
May 15. They announced during march that they will wait for elections to be over to have a clean release.

raja_fan
16th April 2009, 10:26 AM
Any news on Mayilu, Jagan mohini, Thyaggayya, Valmiki etc ????????????????

sudhakarg
16th April 2009, 06:21 PM
TIme ..Now NimidangaL ..
Time had fantastic songs , well picturised , but the movie by itself was a dud !!

One of the big disappointments in that movie as I remember is that "niram piriththu" - one of Raja's gem was either truncated or totally eliminated from the movie!!

inetk
16th April 2009, 07:59 PM
Bhagyadevatha - Blissful 3-song soundtrack!

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/04/16/music-review-bhagyadevatha-malayalam-ilayaraja/

irir123
16th April 2009, 08:12 PM
inetk - where can I buy the original ACD of Bhagyadevatha ??

inetk
16th April 2009, 08:49 PM
I have no idea - must be available in Kerala.

I usually get it from a couple of friends in Cochin. They buy the CD and FTP the songs to me. As far as I know, this one's a mixed CD with songs from other films too, besides the 3 from this film.

jaiganes
17th April 2009, 02:48 AM
So - 'out of touch' and 'anachronistic' has now become 'nostalgic'. Good !!!
nice to hear that chitra is still singing for Raja.

crajkumar_be
17th April 2009, 03:08 AM

"lack of anything interesting from Ilayaraja" -amam, "forever"-amaam.. :lol2: Maybe the 'reviewer' would have been happy to hear Hungarian folk and eclectic hand-picked 'sounds' from Iceland. Then, it wouldn't be so uninteresting and 'outdated', perhaps. Neram, ivanunga ellam 'review' panraanunga :banghead:

jaiganes
17th April 2009, 03:42 AM

"lack of anything interesting from Ilayaraja" -amam, "forever"-amaam.. :lol2: Maybe the 'reviewer' would have been happy to hear Hungarian folk and eclectic hand-picked 'sounds' from Iceland. Then, it wouldn't be so uninteresting and 'outdated', perhaps. Neram, ivanunga ellam 'review' panraanunga :banghead:
cool cool!

inetk
17th April 2009, 06:47 AM
"Neram, ivanunga ellam 'review' panraanunga"

Seriously, romba aniyaayam illa? Oru opinion kooda sollakoodathu raja'va pathi...sonna...Varun Gandhi sonna maadhiri, kaiya vetta vendiyadhudhaan. Adhuvum, unga opinionukku edhira irundha, 'adhayum' vetta vendiyadhudhaan. Kali muthi pochuda ambi!

raja_fan
17th April 2009, 07:04 AM
http://www.4shared.com/dir/14590935/b1d85b1d/BAGYA_DEVATHA_2009.html

raja_fan
17th April 2009, 08:34 AM
Bhagya Devata....

A disappointing recycle of "tired of hearing" IR tunes with shades of "16 vayadhinile", "Karagattakkaran" gems !

Sorry...No further hopes on Satyan-IR association :(

jaiganes
17th April 2009, 08:47 AM
@crbe - itwofs karthik is a well known raja fan - i find his reviews pretty good. Only point of contention being the 'dating of sound/music' apart from that his reviews have been consistent IMO.
Neenga konjam kooda coola irukkaradhu better.

baroque
17th April 2009, 08:50 AM
Just checked out one song, :ty: raja_fan. :)

Sathyan Andhikad was handed over a slight variant of ethereal gundu malli gundu malli...solla marandha kadhai tune in a thira....karthik.
Tune has been rehashed enough by IR.
Same tune has been used in 1999 - film Annan..vayasu pulla....sujatha & IR.

rest I check out tomorrow..

now இன்ப கலைகள் எத்தனையோ அது என்று தொடங்கியது யாரறிவார்?
சொல்லி தரவும் மீதம் உண்டோ ..
இந்த சொர்க்க சுகங்கள் தந்தது யார்
காலங்கள் இங்கே நின்றதோ....
what a song! that's my man.. ROMANCE KING! :bluejump:
பயங்கரமா நான் மாட்டிண்டுட்டேன்! :swinghead: good for me, VINATHA. :)

Plum
17th April 2009, 10:41 AM
inetk, adhellam sari. Music-ku date epdi ascribe pandreenga - edhunachum carbon-dating formula vechurukkengala?
Innaiya thedhikku, Boys music ketta, endha varushathu paattu ketkara maadhiri iruku? Ninaivellam Nithya ketta, idhu 1983-la irundha sound maardhiriye irukkunu thonaradha?

MumbaiRamki
17th April 2009, 11:56 AM
Plum ,
I too feel some of the Raaja's sounds are bit dated - but athu oru feel thaan , it is diffcult to prove it in a analytical way .

jaiganes
17th April 2009, 12:38 PM
adade!!
plum ipppadi varisaya vandhu ragging panninaal oruththar enna pannuvaar?
chill chill..

inetk
17th April 2009, 02:27 PM
Plum naina, Ramki solra maadhiri ellaam oru feel dhaan. Ungalukku thonudhu - date koodathunnu. Enakku thonala.

Hulkster
17th April 2009, 02:32 PM
Inetk were you really sarcastic about this review or you were really giving your opinion? Thought you did not like him rehashing his tunes? :?

Hulkster
17th April 2009, 02:40 PM
Can see why Karthik likes it, its not the tune but its the orchestration, makes it look like the old days of raja, but it is so brilliantly worked on that you dunt feel the rehash feel getting to you.

crajkumar_be
17th April 2009, 05:24 PM
@crbe - itwofs karthik is a well known raja fan -

:shock: Idhukku badhila neenga Raaja-va asingama tharamatta ketta vaarthaila thittirukkalaam :)

i find his reviews pretty good. Only point of contention being the 'dating of sound/music' apart from that his reviews have been consistent IMO.

Nalladhu. Yerkanave inga sonna madhiri, idhellam subjective, personal opinions, anju veralum ore madhiri irukkaadhu etc, etc - granted. However, neenga paakka vendiya vishayam enna na, "incongruous" rhythm in "Kannil Paarvai"-amaam and an implicit implication that certain songs/concept/music is outdated (please note the diff between outdated sounds and music). MC Hammer rap is outdated now. Is Mozart outdated? I mean Raaja's music does have aspects (sounds) which are 'outdated'. adhu vera vishayam....

Neenga konjam kooda coola irukkaradhu better.
Vasthavam dhaan but ivaru 'reviews' ellam serious-a eduthukka koodadhu dhaan (especially NK/NL in comparison to glowing tributes on GVP, VS, etc etc), but indha Raaja fan nu solradhellam three much. adhuvum, "waiting forever"-amaam. I strongly urge you to re-read the NK 'review' vis-a-vis the others :lol2:
And i seriously mean that comment about eclectic European influences and all. Padathukku thevaya, illayaannu kavala kedayaadhu, contemporary 'popular' forms of music-o, "world music"o illenna naanga outdated, incongruous nu amukkiduvom

There is a difference between not liking a song/album and ascribing "musicology" reasons like the aforementioned.

irir123
17th April 2009, 06:36 PM
listened to Bhagyadevata - definitely sounded fresh to me - even the rehashes dont seem to be so - thats how clever IR can get - but the overall feel of the album is very positive and 2009 has so far been promising as far as IR's albums are concerned!

I now have gr8 hopes on Pazhassi Raja, Mayilu et al (if at all they get released) and of course the BGM of Nandhalala

only hope is that all his forthcoming CDs are easily available

inetk
17th April 2009, 06:46 PM
Hulkster: I really like this soundtrack. Been on nonstop loop.

As for the other vayetherichal jaalra, here goes.

"Idhukku badhila neenga Raaja-va asingama tharamatta ketta vaarthaila thittirukkalaam"

Yempa? Neenga mattum pooja panni Rajavukku orey fan'a irukkanuma? Unagala maadhiri naalu jaalra porum, Rajavukku.

"Nalladhu. Yerkanave inga sonna madhiri, idhellam subjective, personal opinions, anju veralum ore madhiri irukkaadhu etc, etc - granted. However, neenga paakka vendiya vishayam enna na, "incongruous" rhythm in "Kannil Paarvai"-amaam and an implicit implication that certain songs/concept/music is outdated (please note the diff between outdated sounds and music). MC Hammer rap is outdated now. Is Mozart outdated? I mean Raaja's music does have aspects (sounds) which are 'outdated'. adhu vera vishayam...."

The words 'outdated', 'incongruous' are from my point of view. Yaarume onnume solla koodadha? Opinion irundha neenga illadha forum'a paathu post pannanuma?

"Vasthavam dhaan but ivaru 'reviews' ellam serious-a eduthukka koodadhu dhaan (especially NK/NL in comparison to glowing tributes on GVP, VS, etc etc), but indha Raaja fan nu solradhellam three much. adhuvum, "waiting forever"-amaam. I strongly urge you to re-read the NK 'review' vis-a-vis the others LOL
And i seriously mean that comment about eclectic European influences and all. Padathukku thevaya, illayaannu kavala kedayaadhu, contemporary 'popular' forms of music-o, "world music"o illenna naanga outdated, incongruous nu amukkiduvom"

If you're so concerned about 'padathukku thevaya illiya' please write on Raja's compound wall about it. Why bother about others point of view? That too as if this is a personal insult! Why are you so insecure that you expect the entire world to like NK? And that too, for the same reasons as yours!

"There is a difference between not liking a song/album and ascribing "musicology" reasons like the aforementioned."

'Outdated' and 'incongruous' are reasons based on musicology? Far from it...they're plain English words and have meanings beyond music. From a normal listener's pov - not a fanatic's pov.

crajkumar_be
17th April 2009, 07:06 PM
inetk,
If you understand English, and if you hold "the right to express one's opinion" high, just treat my reaction as an opinion of your opinion. As long as you write garbage, you can expect me to ignore it, rotfl at it or reply like this. Neenga paatukku ezhudhunga, naanga paatukku react panrom. Ezhudhalama vendamannu neenga mudivedunga, react panradha pathi naanga paathukkarom. :lol2:

"If you're so concerned about 'padathukku thevaya illiya' please write on Raja's compound wall about it. Why bother about others point of view?"
Ennayya aniyayam idhu? :shock:
You can write all you want in your blog and expect people to jaalra thattufy and gooja thookkufy. indha forum la vandhu unga link-a potteenga. I commented on that. Why do you bother about MY point of view sir? Neenga illadha neram paathu dhaan unga garbage-a pathi comment pannanuma indha forum-la?

P.S: Also, oru word-a quotes la podradhukku artham irukku. Ivvalavu eclectic-a irukkara neenga idha kooda purinjukkalaya?

Jalra, vayetherichal nu ellam yaara venumnaalum sollalaam saar. Copy-list la irukkara conspicuous absence-laye yaaru yaarukku jalra nu velangum :)

inetk
17th April 2009, 07:54 PM
crajkumar_be: You win.

Sureshs65
17th April 2009, 11:29 PM
Well, when we fight over good music, no one wins :( So, let there be peace.

Listened to the soundtrack once. Lovely soundtrack. Very melodious. The shades of 'Sendoorapoove' are very clear to us. Which means Raja must have used it knowing it fully well :) All three songs are very touching inspite of some phrases reminding you of earlier Raja tunes. I personally like this better than the earlier Raja-Sathyan combo of 'Innate Chinta..". That album was nice but this one is definitely better. Melody rules and what more can we ask for? I go with irir123 on this album. Makes me look forward to other Raja albums this year, especially Pazhassi Raja.

Waiting for the CD to arrive in Bangalore. Will write a detailed review after a few more listens.

rajasaranam
18th April 2009, 12:10 AM
Bhagya Devata....

A disappointing recycle of "tired of hearing" IR tunes with shades of "16 vayadhinile", "Karagattakkaran" gems !

Sorry...No further hopes on Satyan-IR association :(

:exactly: There is decline in the quality of Sathyan's movies too. Few weeks back I watched 'Innathey Chintha vishayam' and was very much disappointed as the movie had nothing to tell.
That apart Raaja has given 3 soulful & melodious tracks is a great gift leaving apart rehashing his own tunes. You have to understand that there was no point of time when Raaja was not experimenting variations of his own tunes. only the trained ears like ours can find this similarity. For others these will be fresh. So Santhosha padunga thalaivar 'Chess' game'la mathiri puthu puthu variations for the same opening/middle game kudukraarnnu nenachu, Athula thaan irukku beauty :)

irir123
18th April 2009, 12:23 AM
IR needs someone to 'bend nimitthify' him, or else, he will continue with rehashes - thats why I wish Kamal works with him, for he is one tat brings out the very best in him

rajasaranam
18th April 2009, 12:37 AM
inetk,
If you understand English, and if you hold "the right to express one's opinion" high, just treat my reaction as an opinion of your opinion. As long as you write garbage, you can expect me to ignore it, rotfl at it or reply like this. Neenga paatukku ezhudhunga, naanga paatukku react panrom. Ezhudhalama vendamannu neenga mudivedunga, react panradha pathi naanga paathukkarom. :lol2:

"If you're so concerned about 'padathukku thevaya illiya' please write on Raja's compound wall about it. Why bother about others point of view?"
Ennayya aniyayam idhu? :shock:
You can write all you want in your blog and expect people to jaalra thattufy and gooja thookkufy. indha forum la vandhu unga link-a potteenga. I commented on that. Why do you bother about MY point of view sir? Neenga illadha neram paathu dhaan unga garbage-a pathi comment pannanuma indha forum-la?

P.S: Also, oru word-a quotes la podradhukku artham irukku. Ivvalavu eclectic-a irukkara neenga idha kooda purinjukkalaya?

Jalra, vayetherichal nu ellam yaara venumnaalum sollalaam saar. Copy-list la irukkara conspicuous absence-laye yaaru yaarukku jalra nu velangum :)

Sensible! that even a review can be reviewed :notworthy:

rajasaranam
18th April 2009, 12:45 AM
IR needs someone to 'bend nimitthify' him, or else, he will continue with rehashes - thats why I wish Kamal works with him, for he is one tat brings out the very best in him

:notthatway: script and characters are more important than anything else to inspire Raaja :) But yeah! Kamal can extract the best of Raaja even for a dud like MX is something great we should appreciate :D

kiru
18th April 2009, 01:00 AM
I am not music savvy like some people here (including inetk-karthik among others). But somehow I have a feeling it is mainly people who are very my knowledgeable in music are failing to appreciate the music of IR. Many of these people are either very good in Indian classical music or know other current/contemporary genres of music from other parts of the world.
Let me elaborate - indian music is very much into thalam/variations. So people with this background will feel IR never gives nadai changes.
But the funny thing is IR knows indian music very well and western classical music very well. But he CHOOSES not to use certain components of either school in every case. For eg. we have a lot of tabla songs with no variations nadai changes, whereas the same IR can give changes for every line in 'shivakaru damaruga layamai naadham' in k k santhoshangal.
In a majority of the tabla songs ..the interludes are totally rhythm less with a complete WCM treatment. Even the vocals to the monotonous tabla beat are joined by quite a bit of harmony layers.
The reality is in popular music, people listen to the melody a bit and really need a rhythm to carry it. Maybe, IR probably feels he needs to take songs to a different level..many to me seem like concertos..Did he succeed here or not ..only time can tell ?
In contrast, Rahman comes in with a focus on rhythm and has reaped rich dividends in commercial success. To some extent, I get the feeling IR is not very much into rhythm, he uses it to the minimum to carry his compositions to the masses. Left alone, he probably would be composing concerto, symphonies etc influenced by his insight into indian raagams.
Not sure, I made sense, maybe rambling..somebody help me out :-)

(BTW, the post was motivated by references to "incongrous rhythm" .."outdated" rhythm etc.. note: Shankar(Ganesh) in one interview said, if you take out the rhythm, current songs are not very different from older songs..yes..rhythm is what gives "time period" and many times "ethnic" flavor as well..if you do plain melodies..like Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik..you can never tell the time period..same goes for "classical" rhythm instruments like mridhangam or even western drum kit)

kiru
18th April 2009, 01:52 AM
Re: Bhadyadevata..listened to the song over lunch..not so positive..yes..looks like a conscious attempt to bring sendhoorpoove to the new era..not a success IMHO (BTW, similar feel was better captured in some siraichalai songs) . Somehow the melodies are not sticking to my mind..I dont think it is the language barrier..maybe I will give it more listening.
Just happened to have maalai nila from kangalum kavi paduthey and I seem to like that one for sure. Fresh melody and rhythm as well.

raja_fan
18th April 2009, 11:56 AM
Jaganmohini on June 15

http://www.ragalahari.com/news/6653/jaganmohini-to-entertain-audience-from-june-15th.aspx

Plum
19th April 2009, 12:51 PM
Inetk, so you don't have any explanation for dating music? Naan kooda neenga periya thillalangadiya edhavadhu reason solveenganu nenachen. Mhmm... Appo unga reviewvai ennala serious-a eduthuka mudiyadhu.sollikkunga, kummi paattu padathula raja yugoslavian rhythms use pannalai adhu velaikkavadhunu sollikonga. Kalyana melathukku ketti melam vaasichirukkar raja. Oru african djambo-mjambo rhythm instrumentum, slovenialrendhu slokovic drum_um kalandhu kalyana. Melam kodutha pooris pyalraj engean indha gramathu 70ks raja engenu ezhudhikkonga.

Andha music 60ks, indha album 1805 feel, indha pooris puyalraj album futuristic feelnu ellam koluthi podunga. By your own admission of the method involved in ascribing such dates, it is difficult to take you seriously. Note: raaja musicla sila sounds 'modern'a illainu CR-e solrrar - naangallam jalra, neenga sruthi pettinu neenga feel pannina, ogay sir ogay.
Neenga nalla ezhudhunga review - atleast kaasu koduthu CD vanngareenga - ungalukku andha urimai undu. Engalukku eppoyachum sirikkanumnu thonichuna vandhu unga review padikkarom - please niruthidadheenga

inetk
19th April 2009, 05:25 PM
Plum: I can definitely talk eloquently about musical dating, but the current music scene is such that composers use an assortment of genres with amazing creativity. Most of it is so diverse that film music has gone beyond specific dates and has entered into a mosaic of time zones and genres.

Broadly, such a dating classification may be possible, but it may fall short of being accurate - as crajkumar_be mockingly points out - due to how world'ish it has all become. Except Raja's music, perhaps - since it continues to retain an old world feel, his specific feel. Sometimes it may sound outdated to me, when specific portions of the background use a pattern similar to another Raja song I may not have enjoyed so much - or it may sound nostalgic is the pattern is similar to another Raja song I enjoyed.

My review is a point of view - as I always say. The effective way to counter a review is not to counter the reviewer, but the review itself. That is, the counterpoint is meant for the readers of the review, so they get a valid and different point of view which helps them form an (another) opinion. Reviewing the review may sound sensible to rajasaranam, but the fans here may find more value in a counter review by crajkumar_be if it points out the list of things he likes in a Raja soundtrack.

In case of Bhagyadevatha, crajkumar_be perhaps needs to say what he didn't like in the soundtrack, since I actually like it.

I don't see what is in a (any!) review to take it seriously. Do you meant to say people read a review and buy the CD. Or read one review and see a movie? I personally do not do it - reviews create the impulse to know more about the movie or CD, at least for me. But not enough impulse to act on acquiring the CD or seeing a movie. That is more of a instinctive or emotional decision affected by many other factors.

I shouldn't have used that 'jalra' word, for anybody, in this forum. That was clearly impulsive and definitely wrong. We're all fans of many composers and most of us are fans of Raja, having grown up with his music right through our formative years. Because of that association we also take the right to criticize or appreciate his music as we deem fit. I shouldn't have termed that urimai as 'jalra' - sorry.

When I wrote to crajkumar_be that he won, I really meant it. He made me realize that I was getting drawn into an argument while there is no need for one. He has the right to tear my review apart just like I had the right to review it in the first place. Fair point.

Hulkster
19th April 2009, 05:30 PM
Seri seri vidunga pa. Let us not bash Inetk. Can understand his feel at times but he is a real IR fan(longest post in milliblog dedicated to him only). Anyway our own kootani is not that good as well. With the exception of a few we have bashed IR like he had failed his composing test while Inetk still maintained that IR was still middling(like yuvan). I think if ajantha had no rehashes Inetk would certainly have given ajantha a powerful review cause that was the only problem he mentioned. And i remember that he still found maayakannadi quite good while most of us here said maayakannadi was spoilt by KR's engineering and what else.

I think its best to just read and let go.

Hulkster
19th April 2009, 05:36 PM
Inetk one question to ask, Have you ever tried reviewing IR's songs(especially those based on/mixing various genres). I feel that after listening to them, all the genre-based compositions nowadays dunt sound so original compared to raja's use. They sound so IRish despite all the genres we can find in them.

inetk
19th April 2009, 05:46 PM
I agree - Raja's music, given his broad range and output, is perhaps a genre by itself.

Hulkster
19th April 2009, 05:52 PM
I agree - Raja's music, given his broad range and output, is perhaps a genre by itself.

Game, Set, Match :exactly:. I could not understand why loads of raja fans are so fanatic about his old compositions, but after listening to them can see why. He has done everything, explains why he does not seem to be bothered about film songs anymore(even if he does produce gems now and then).

MumbaiRamki
19th April 2009, 07:11 PM
இந்த மலையாள படத்தின் பாடல்களை கொஞ்சம் பயந்து கொண்டு தான் கேட்டேன். கண்டிப்பாக ஏமாத்த வில்லை ராஜா. இந்த வருடத்தின் வந்த முன்று IR படங்கள், நம்மை ஏமாற்ற வில்லை .

நமிதாவை நினைத்தால் தான் ஜகன்மோஹினி பயமுறுத்திகிறது. நமித்தாவை வைத்து இது வரை ஒரு நல்ல படம் வந்ததில்லை.

irir123
19th April 2009, 08:02 PM
MR - as far as Jagan Mogini is concerned, think of the monkey that closes its eyes but keeps its ears open!

I actually did this several years ago, while watching a Telugu garbage titled "Ashwamedham" in Hyderabad - went ONLY for IR and the moment I realized the cast included 'handsome n trim' Balakrishna, 'miss.cosmos' Nagma, with Amrish Puri in a double-role as a villain, my eyes closed involuntarily and only IR's music (with stupendous gems "o prema", "seetha kalam" and "yen debba") made my night!

Plum
19th April 2009, 08:32 PM
Inetk, I have no problems if you don't like raja's music and review badly. As I said you do better service to raja because you buy original CD's - I don't and whatever be the constraints, that certainly shuts me up - and you have the right to review as you see fit. But the dating formula has always baffled me - in the absence of a clear explqnation, it is also amusing to me. If there is some musicological theory to it, do explain. There's not much discussion going on here anyway.
I am not too bothered about the makeup applied to songs - that's just me ofcourse - so this aspect possibly doesn't bother me as much as you. Still, enna makeup potta raja song 'modern' soundinga irukkum and what do you imply by your dating? I'd be interested in knowing that

Plum
19th April 2009, 08:34 PM
Inetk, I have no problems if you don't like raja's music and review badly. As I said you do better service to raja because you buy original CD's - I don't and whatever be the constraints, that certainly shuts me up - and you have the right to review as you see fit. But the dating formula has always baffled me - in the absence of a clear explqnation, it is also amusing to me. If there is some musicological theory to it, do explain. There's not much discussion going on here anyway.
I am not too bothered about the makeup applied to songs - that's just me ofcourse - so this aspect possibly doesn't bother me as much as you. Still, enna makeup potta raja song 'modern' soundinga irukkum and what do you imply by your dating? I'd be interested in knowing that

Sureshs65
19th April 2009, 10:50 PM
irir123,

You have reopened an old wound :( I was one of those guys who saw the movie called 'Ashwamedham'. I think I was dragged to it by a friend of mine. I rarely venture anywhere close to 50mts of a theater which runs a Balakrishna movie. Needless to say, Balakrishna, Nagma, Amrish Puri in clownish costume and the formula oriented absolutely insensitive and idiotic direction. The definition of hell.

Sureshs65
19th April 2009, 11:16 PM
Plum,

I guess a review which states that the music seems to have a dated sound is fair. Nothing wrong with it. If it reminds someone of an earlier era, so be it. (For example the opening of 'Jai Ho' reminded me of R D Burman's 'Dekha Maine Dekha Hai Ek Sapna' from Love Story and I honestly felt 'Jai Ho' had a very dated feel.) I think Karthik's review probably reflects the thought pattern of many youngsters of today who may also feel that some music is not 'current'. I not saying this in a dismissive sense. I say this because I have personally seen diametrically opposite views expressed for the music of 'Uliyin Osai'. Some youngsters didn't find it great but a lot of middle aged people found it to be superb. I have had more than one person borrow the tape from me to hear the songs but my kids don't want to hear it!! The paradox is that people would enjoy the 'old dated sound' of say a Madan Mohan Lata combo but if a song with the same quality is done by someone like Raja, it can get dismissed as being 'old'. I personally don't have an issue of someone finding a song dated but if you don't enjoy the tune due to this aspect, then it is unfortunate. Again, what can be considered as dated could vary from person to person.

While I fully endorse Karthik's right to express his opinion I differ with him when he makes a statement like this, "but the current music scene is such that composers use an assortment of genres with amazing creativity." I honestly feel there is lot more cut and paste happening in the industry nowadays and it is done very intelligently. I don't see too many music directors with 'amazing creativity'. They know how to borrow and how to intelligently paste it into their composition. None of them knows how to integrate it and make that genre their own. Anyway I have deviated too much from the subject of this thread and will stop now.

Sureshs65
19th April 2009, 11:38 PM
My review of Bhagyadevata songs.

Swapnangal (Rahul Nambiyar and Chitra): This is a melody in the lines of 'Mellayonnu'. The start is reminiscent of some old Hindi melodies. The rhythm during the charanam is lovely with something like a hand clap added to the basic tabla beat and the violins playing some lovely counter melody. The beat is back to the synth beat once it returns to the pallavi. The second interlude has some nice violins and flute. The tune is very soulful and this is a perfect song for those who love their music in low volume late in the night with lights switched off. Chitra is lovely as usual. Rahul is OK.

Alli Poove: (Vijay Jesudas and Shweta)? : Wonderful opening the song has with the tune for the female voice dripping honey. A lovely steady beat is maintained from the pallavi into the charanam. The first interlude has some superb flute portions, which add to the beauty of the song. The surprise comes in the charanam when 'Sendoorapoove's phrase makes its appearance. It does again after one line but ends differently. The second interlude as violins playing counter melody to the keyboards. The synth bass follows the song diligently in the charanam. Inspite of, or maybe due to, the appearance of Sendoorapoove, this is a honey drenched song.

Thirathannil (Karthik): A kanda chapu Kalyani song. Very interesting. Whenever a Raja song is sung by a contestant in Idea Star Singer, Usha Uthup almost always comments about the lovely 'movement' of the song. This is one such song where the charanam has lovely movement. The Kalyani that the song paints is very charming. Karthik has done a nice job. Very soulful and touching melody.

All in all, an album to cherish. I have been hearing the songs in a loop for quite some time now and would highly recommend this to anyone. I will disagree with raja-fan who felt that Sathyan - Raja combination has nothing to give. If they give such albums in the future, I will definitely be looking forward to their combination. I also disagree with RS, who felt Sathyan's movies are not reaching great heights. All his movies are the same, aren't they :) I guess I made a mistake with 'Manasinnakare' where I thought the songs were mediocre. Now I don't and I am not making that mistake with 'Bhagyadevata' :)

A third lovely album in a row by Raja this year. (Like Ramki, I too shudder at the thought of Namitha but let us hope Raja continues with this same form.)

rajasaranam
20th April 2009, 09:38 AM
Reviewing the review may sound sensible to rajasaranam,

He has the right to tear my review apart just like I had the right to review it in the first place. Fair point.

Naanum ithathaana solli irukkaen :confused2:

raja_fan
20th April 2009, 10:09 AM
Guys,

Can you please stop this war over inetk's review ?

Erkkanave indha thread bore adikka aarambichchu pala maasam aaagudhu..adhila idhu vera..

rajaalltheway
20th April 2009, 01:59 PM
Bhagyadevata is IR-Satyan combos best work to date.The 'Senthoorapoove' feel was added to 'Allipoove' at the behest of lyricist Vayalar Sarachandra Varma since it was his all time favourite song.Producer M.M.Hamza deserves special kudos coz he was the one who wanted tabala in every song was after satyans tail to push Ayya...wonderful wonderful album...

Sureshs65
20th April 2009, 02:13 PM
rajaalltheway,

Thanks for breaking the 'Sendhoorapoove' mystery :) Fully agree with you. This is a lovely album and is growing on me with each passing day.

Plum
20th April 2009, 08:25 PM
""but the current music scene is such that composers use an assortment of genres with amazing creativity."
yeah, I'd like to hear more about such composers - the word assortment is the key. Assorted biscuit packet maadhiri pola. I am just not able to buy such justifications for music. Avaru African djambo-mjambo beats-ai, Yugoslav drum vechu adichu, adhula american country guitar riffs pottu, Indonesian chorus pottu super-a assorted genre panni irukkarnu oru MD-ai ayaravadhu paarattina sirippu dhaan varudhu.

raja_fan, with due respect, this deserves to be discussed - because in the end, it will come to light that whatever these people mean as assortment, Raja has already done as integration. People just complain because he is not doing it like Yuvan maybe - just random combination of genres pottu, nalla varudha-nu QA panni paarthu release pandra type. Oh you will never get that from Raja, dear inetk. Unless you have a clear idea of what you are talking about and explain it AND WHY you think Raja lags behind the current amazing MD's on that count.

Plum
20th April 2009, 08:27 PM
"I personally don't have an issue of someone finding a song dated but if you don't enjoy the tune due to this aspect, then it is unfortunate"
Yes, my point is the same, suresh. If I was uncharacterstically harsh on this one, then it sums up my frustration at random accusations without a sound reason on Raja. Outdated is a ridiculous word to use.

Sureshs65
20th April 2009, 10:38 PM
Plum,

I agree with you that there is no way that Raja can be said to 'lag behind' the current MDs. What can be said is that Raja's tastes and aesthetics are different from those of the current MDs and he is constantly experimenting without giving up on his aesthetics. Someone can say that Raja's music doesn't follow the current trend but we expect Raja to set his own trend rather than follow a trend set by others. Anyway this is a vast and highly debatable subject but all I can say is that if someone doesn't want to listen to Raja because he his 'outdated' or 'not trendy enough' the loss is theirs!! I mean, how many MDs can come up with something like Naan Kadavul or Bhagyadevata?

rajaalltheway
20th April 2009, 10:56 PM
Someone out there who knows music please give some thoughts
on the beautiful anupallavi parts of 'swapnangal' and 'Thira' songs from Bhagyadevata.I feel the lyrics of 'swapanangal' is of high quality....

rprasad
20th April 2009, 11:35 PM
I think one of the things to be kept in mind with IR is that he can be probably be called the last of the previous generation music composers and i mean it in a complimentary way. He has his own style and has developed his own sort of genre as others have pointed out here, and its just not possible for him to suddenly try to do stuff like the modern MD's.Its not going to happen if people expect him to suddenly do yuvan or Arr type sound based songs.
He will do songs within his trademark hooks and genres. Ofcourse this will sound similar to his previous works since he has done so many songs in his career so far that its almost impossible to get something totally new out of his songs now. But the fact that even after 33 years his songs both old and the new ones still excite people is ample proof that his style/genre/hook is timeless.
Coming to Bhagyadevata that charanam piece in Allipoove song is such a nostalgic teaser that it was pretty much evident that it was done deliberately. But does that pull you in or what . Sendhoorapoove song is one of the most mesmerizing compositions in IR's career.

kiru
21st April 2009, 01:50 PM
..Coming to Bhagyadevata that charanam piece in Allipoove song is such a nostalgic teaser that it was pretty much evident that it was done deliberately. But does that pull you in or what . Sendhoorapoove song is one of the most mesmerizing compositions in IR's career.

Maybe I am a "glass half-empty" guy..doing a song modeled on a previous classic ..to me seems like an opportunity LOST to create a new classic. IR did not want to do even concerts, because the time needed to practice a song can be used to create a brand new one..now we see all these rehashes and people like who are looking for a fresh new ones are disappointed.

kiru
21st April 2009, 01:59 PM
""but the current music scene is such that composers use an assortment of genres with amazing creativity."
yeah, I'd like to hear more about such composers - the word assortment is the key. Assorted biscuit packet maadhiri pola. I am just not able to buy such justifications for music. Avaru African djambo-mjambo beats-ai, Yugoslav drum vechu adichu, adhula american country guitar riffs pottu, Indonesian chorus pottu super-a assorted genre panni irukkarnu oru MD-ai ayaravadhu paarattina sirippu dhaan varudhu.
I agree and am ROTFL..but sad thing is this is a reality. Novelty sells, irrespective of the context or wholeness.
Coming back to inetk's point, even though I disagree with him or find his reviews not very useful to me, as a film music listener I have to say that certain IR songs do invoke a "dated" feeling in me (see my previous post on how rhythm arrangements create this feeling) . Maybe less for me than inetk. For eg, I do not consider tabla song as an anachronism. But quite a majority of IR songs are timeless classics (and obviously that is why I consider myself a IR fan). To fans like me, certain songs, like the one I was listening on my commute back home today - adhikaalai kaaRRE nillu are so mind-boggling and heart-warming that at times ..I feel like resorting to the expression .."idhai vEra entha kombanaalum panna mudiyAthu." :-) yes please listen to the chorus/harmonies in this song. To me, any number of today's top ten hits will not equal songs like this..Basically, even though IR might have done 4000 songs..the core 100-400 songs in my list make him more precious to me..maybe others do not feel that strongly and so can move on with the latest/greatest ....

rajasaranam
21st April 2009, 02:07 PM
Maybe I am a "glass half-empty" guy..doing a song modeled on a previous classic ..to me seems like an opportunity LOST to create a new classic. IR did not want to do even concerts, because the time needed to practice a song can be used to create a brand new one..now we see all these rehashes and people like who are looking for a fresh new ones are disappointed.

Hmmm Ithukku enna solveenga
Santhoshakke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26pYcAFu5IY) & Adichikko Sitteu (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00249.html)
80'slaye athathaana senjuttu irunthaar Raaja :huh:

Sureshs65
21st April 2009, 04:09 PM
kiru,

I don't think the songs of Bhagyadevata are rehashes. He has used 'Sendoorapoove' alright but as rprasad said, it is used knowingly and he creates a new song even though he has used a couple of phrases from Sendoorapoove. 'Allipoove' is a new song to me and the way Sendoorapoove phrases enter and then change gives lot of joy. All the three songs are 'new classics' for me. Maybe I am a "glass half full or full-full guy" :)

Plum
21st April 2009, 05:13 PM
Kiru, adhaan. Outdated adhellam irukkattum. Apdi enna current MD;s - hindi or tamil - apdi creativity-la poondhu velayadaranga. Indha remix generation-ku ivlo praise vera(note, I am exlcuding Rahman from this generation). When someone says "current MD's are puring amazing creativity", he better justify it. Tamil music is at it slowest ebb possibly - even in the 70's, pre-IR, even though that period is much denounced for music, we had Vijayabhaskar, V Kumar, Shyam etc, not to forget MSV producing some fine music. What is the state now? Every other film has a remix, and novelty seems to be experimenting with sounds. How can you say with a straight face that "current MD's are producing amazing cross-genre, mixed genre, blah blah"? If anyone says so , better be prepared to justify yourself

raagas
21st April 2009, 05:29 PM
I agree with Suresh.

I liked the album a lot. I might not call it a super-classic (like Uliyin Osai) but this album is indeed a breath of fresh air. If nan kadadul and nadhalaala have their own individual dimensions of like-able factors, so does this album.

About it being dated and all.Well, it has that feel, may be because of that wonderful string section which reminds of 80s. But thats what i always loved abt IR's music and hence i dont complain.

Bottomline: I like it.
Reasons: Because it has elements which i like.

thumburu
21st April 2009, 06:29 PM
For most of the Raja fans other than inetk or Mumbai Ramki, the grouse is not on Raja vis a vis modern mds with their gizmo-techno sounds , but it is between the vintage, zestful Raja's super power creativity versus the tired and down synth Raja of today. Looks like those lovely basslines have vanished with the fine lines of age . hm.....cruel time!!!

Plum
21st April 2009, 08:20 PM
thumburu, thats sadly the state of affairs. I am pretty sure you are aware of the limitations on the ground - the affordability of maintaining an orchestra. Even not considering that handicap, Naan Kadavul was very good. Let's see - but time is running out, 70 is approaching. After that?

kiru
22nd April 2009, 01:30 PM
Kiru, adhaan. Outdated adhellam irukkattum. Apdi enna current MD;s - hindi or tamil - apdi creativity-la poondhu velayadaranga. Indha remix generation-ku ivlo praise vera(note, I am exlcuding Rahman from this generation). When someone says "current MD's are puring amazing creativity", he better justify it. Tamil music is at it slowest ebb possibly - even in the 70's, pre-IR, even though that period is much denounced for music, we had Vijayabhaskar, V Kumar, Shyam etc, not to forget MSV producing some fine music. What is the state now? Every other film has a remix, and novelty seems to be experimenting with sounds. How can you say with a straight face that "current MD's are producing amazing cross-genre, mixed genre, blah blah"? If anyone says so , better be prepared to justify yourself

Well..if you leave out Rahman that leaves out the only challenger to IR :-) Others are ok, but they are not anywhere near IR's level but they are also aware of it, and to some extent I think the audience is also aware of it, Since it is just film music, I think everybody is not getting too worried when others are doing well commercially.
Indian Film music is a genre and I feel IR took it to its height in terms of techniques (that is - not comparing the quality of the tunes vis-a-vis other masters). Rahman stopped working in this genre and the trend is being followed by others. While every other cultures/micro cultures have created/contributed genres, we have now become followers of these genres instead of leaders (contributing new ones) IMHO :-( (I am sure somebody is going to say we are actually creating new genres, mixing/matching others with our melodies but I am not sure about this)

(Suresh, you are probably right, allipoove is new composition with sendhoorapoove flavor added ..the fills in the charanam lines and the later part of the charanams seem to be doing this trickery. Still I am not so fond of the compositions..dont know why. Looks like I am in the minority with only raja_fan in the same boat).

kiru
22nd April 2009, 01:34 PM
..About it being dated and all.Well, it has that feel, may be because of that wonderful string section which reminds of 80s. But thats what i always loved abt IR's music and hence i dont complain.

right..strings is basics of Indian film music genre..recently I listened to rerecorded MSV songs ..the voice was not the majestic Susheela and the singing was off here and there, but one good thing, I was able to hear the orchestration clearly..Amazing use of strings by MSV. No wonder..IR has to reach out to techniques like counterpoints among others to set himself apart.

Sureshs65
22nd April 2009, 04:06 PM
kiru,

You keep listening to it and soon you will also start liking it, leaving raja_fan in the minority :) Just kidding but I do think the tunes are eminently likeable.

svarman
22nd April 2009, 07:32 PM
http://vanakkam-doc.blogspot.com/

My take on the Maestro!!

Suren

rajasaranam
22nd April 2009, 08:40 PM

My take on the Maestro!!

Suren

Good one, went straight to my desktop as BG :D

sloshed
22nd April 2009, 09:13 PM
I am planning to get a portrait of raja in my house. Could anyone point to a source .. a high resolution image will do.

Thanks

jaiganes
23rd April 2009, 12:14 AM
I am planning to get a portrait of raja in my house. Could anyone point to a source .. a high resolution image will do.

Thanks

I am reminded of a scene in Dharmaththin Thalaivan where Rajini asks a guy to have shivaji and MGR portraits in his house in addition to some hollywood hero portraits. Frankly in our generation only IR portrait only deserves its place. Congrats on your move sloshed!! For the rest - Our Desktops are the place to have for time being.

sloshed
23rd April 2009, 05:24 AM
Thankx Jai...
You have a point there in saying 'our generation', but more than that it boils down to individual taste and memories. For most of my memories good or bad I have always had the opportunity to listen to his songs to contemplate or feel good...

Like Che in his dairy expressed "Mom I miss you..But I dont miss home" ... Raja made sure that though some of us live thousand miles from home in another land, we dont miss home.

Today we might see all this arguements about his decline/dated/and stuff, but for most of us who grew up with his songs he will always be our 'king' of good times!!

If I get hold of something I will pass it on to the forum.

svarman
23rd April 2009, 04:16 PM

My take on the Maestro!!

Suren

Good one, went straight to my desktop as BG :D

Many thanks, Rajasaranam.

suren

sloshed
23rd April 2009, 06:31 PM
svarman,

I forgot to thank you... Thanks I did the same as RS..You seem to be one hell of a creator....!!

svarman
23rd April 2009, 11:23 PM
svarman,

I forgot to thank you... Thanks I did the same as RS..You seem to be one hell of a creator....!!

Cheers slosh!

Suren

kiru
24th April 2009, 10:54 AM

Thanks

I am reminded of a scene in Dharmaththin Thalaivan where Rajini asks a guy to have shivaji and MGR portraits in his house in addition to some hollywood hero portraits. Frankly in our generation only IR portrait only deserves its place. Congrats on your move sloshed!! For the rest - Our Desktops are the place to have for time being.

Actually, I am looking for old movie (50s, 60s, or 70s) wall posters of popular movies/movie stars. If somebody is selling them or has them I would like to buy it. One day I hope to have my home theater :-), instead of my living room to watch movies/tv and this will go there. If there are some kung-fu/chinese movie posters with tamil signs that will be good too.

Sureshs65
24th April 2009, 01:56 PM
Have been hearing 'Bhagyadevata' songs in a loop for the past few days. The impact of the melody increases everytime I hear them. Though unquestionably the songs have phrases of earlier songs, somehow Raja has worked his magic to ensure each one sounds fresh.

One of the aspects of Raja's music that I love is the way the melody reaches a peak towards the end of the charanams. (Many of the music directors come up with some very attractive pallavis but the charanams don't live up to the promise.) In 'Bhagyadevata' each song has honey dripping in its charanams. In "Allipoove' the initial phrases of the keyboards itself provide the required melody and the song then takes melody to a different level when the female singer (Shweta) enters. Check out the way the pallavi ends with a flourish. Lovely. The same with 'Thira Thalli' song. By the time the song reaches the 'minni kulunguna' or 'parune bandhuvalle' in the charanam, the Kalyani shines so brightly. The rhythm is a treat in this song as well, with Raja opting for kanda chapu talam. Or take the case of 'Swapnangal Kann Ezhydiya'. When Chitra reaches 'Nenjil Ullil Aaro', it is time to die. Here too, the charanam is supported by a lovely rhythm.

I am sure these songs will be sung in the God's own Land for a long time to come.

MumbaiRamki
24th April 2009, 02:20 PM
http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/review.php?id=14883101&ctid=5&cid=2428

Looks like Bhagyadevata is good !

app_engine
24th April 2009, 11:57 PM
Pookkutty for Pazhassi Raja...
http://malayalam.galatta.com/entertainment/malayalam/livewire/id/Resul_Pookutty_debuts_in_Malayalam_24343.html

raja_fan
25th April 2009, 09:56 PM
Swapnangal kannezhuthiya...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_MYuhqiwVQ

Does this not sound very much like S.D.Burman's "Khoraa Kaagaz thaa.." from Aradhana ?!!

Raja..ithellaam nallaa illa :)

Hulkster
26th April 2009, 07:16 AM
Nope not even an iota of resemblance. The prominent hook in khora kaagaz which comes at the end of the first and second line totally differentiates between both songs. Swapnangal kannezhuthiya stretches the melody in the first line. Its only the starting phrase that sounds familiar.

raja_fan
26th April 2009, 08:17 AM
Probably "Kora Kaagaz.." is one of the top favorites of IR..

Even in "Niram maradha pookkal" he lifted the charanam line of this song, increased just the tempo and used like this :)

"...Seetha en kaadhal kodiye kan paarammaa.."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaNiIMcr-r4

"...toot na jaaye sapne mein dartaa hoon.."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql1-jjEPErw

app_engine
27th April 2009, 07:30 PM
"ஸ்வப்னங்கள் கண்ணெழுதிய"

தேன் தோய்த்த அக்மார்க் ராசா பாட்டு. 'கண்மணியே பேசு'வின் சாயல் கொஞ்சம்.
என்ன இது தனி தமிழ்ப்பாட்டு போலுள்ளதே என எண்ணும் போது - இதா - 'மாடத்தி தத்தம்ம மாடப்றாவே', இனிமையான வியப்பு :-)

இன்னும் ராசா இளமையாகவே இருக்கிறார். இள்ள்ள்ளைய்ய்ய்ய்ய்ய ராசா :-)

Sureshs65
27th April 2009, 07:58 PM
Very well said app_eng. This is what I had also expressed earlier. A song dripped in honey.

irir123
27th April 2009, 10:16 PM
what happened to NANDALALA release ??

app_engine
27th April 2009, 11:35 PM
Sathyan in his interview to refiff :

You have always liked to tread the comfortable track. In some cases you habe even repeated technicians. How different was it working with music maestro Illayaraja, once again?
It was fun travelling with him on board a houseboat for two days. He was without an assistant. We rarely came to the shore before finalising the tunes.

dochu
28th April 2009, 01:28 AM
"ஸ்வப்னங்கள் கண்ணெழுதிய"

தேன் தோய்த்த அக்மார்க் ராசா பாட்டு.

I agree too. Simplistic but haunting.

Picturization also has been done well.

Sureshs65
28th April 2009, 10:31 AM
dochu,

Simplistic? I cannot disagree more. I don't think it is a simple matter to conjure up a tune like this. In the pallavi itself the tune takes so many turns and not to mention the introduction of 'madathi thatamme' phrase.

I do agree with you that the tune is haunting :)

dochu
28th April 2009, 08:10 PM
Suresh,
Most of the current songs are heavily altered both for singers and music (like auto tuning, hiss sounds etc).

IR - didn't do those things, and just kept it simple.

jaiganes
29th April 2009, 05:37 AM
@dochu -
keeping sound from the music - true auto starting sound also 'has' music - but it is not music by itself. Idhai sonnaa odhaippanga.

Hulkster
29th April 2009, 08:51 AM
what happened to NANDALALA release ??

MAY 15 or MAY 30

Sureshs65
29th April 2009, 11:15 AM
dochu,

If that is what you meant, then I agree with you. I was confused when you said simplistic as it has different connotations. The instrumentation is kept to a minimum and external interference in modifying voices is absent. It is less digitally modified and that is why it has that old world charm. Thank God for small mercies.

irir123
29th April 2009, 10:18 PM
Hulkster - any news on the release of the BGM recorded with Hugarian musicians ??

Hulkster
30th April 2009, 05:38 PM
Its supposed to be after the movie releases as told by mysskin long time back so that depends on the movie's release as well.

Sanjeevi
1st May 2009, 12:45 AM
Today Azhagar Malai audio release.

Yaaravathu kettu sollungappa :)

irir123
1st May 2009, 04:20 AM
http://movies.rediff.com/column/2009/apr/30/ilayarajas-first-role.htm

MumbaiRamki
1st May 2009, 12:51 PM
Today Azhagar Malai audio release.

Yaaravathu kettu sollungappa :)

periya hopes illa .. But with NK , NL, Bak.. movies , even if 2 songs are good , that would be fine !

Hulkster
3rd May 2009, 10:59 AM
Azhagar Malai :clap: :notworthy:

Rustic songs that have amazing orchestration. Am not saying anything else before the IR's negative brigade comes in.

I have the links if you need me to PM.

MumbaiRamki
3rd May 2009, 12:20 PM
Hulkster ,
Surprising , but i will be v happy if thats how it is ...

Sent a PM to you !

Fliflo
3rd May 2009, 05:29 PM
Kamal releases Azhagar Malai audio

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2009/05/03-kamal-releases-azhagar-malai-audio.html

inetk
3rd May 2009, 07:37 PM
Super soundtrack....sheer joy!

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/05/03/music-review-azhagarmalai-tamil-ilayaraja/

Hulkster
3rd May 2009, 07:54 PM
Azhagar Malai Songs Samples(Full versions except for Ulagam Eppo)

http://sevenmountain.blogspot.com/2009/05/azhagar-malai-songs.html

You can listen till you guys get the CDs. Except for one illegal downloading webby the other sampling sites do not have the songs. Enjoy

Hulkster
3rd May 2009, 07:57 PM
Inetk :clap:. I know you will like this album as it is really packaged well by Ilaiyaraaja. Is not that what you missed about him?

I still am waiting for the negative brigade though. :angry2:

Sureshs65
3rd May 2009, 09:01 PM
Surprisingly I got this in Bangalore today. I hadn't expected it to come here so soon. Enjoyed the songs. A nice Hamsadhwani based number by Bhavatarini. Will write a detailed review after a few listens. A very nice album.

MumbaiRamki
3rd May 2009, 09:31 PM
The quality of recording is v good in all the songs ... endha studio and mixed ?

dochu
3rd May 2009, 09:37 PM
IR transported us back in time!!!.

Once again just simplistic orchestration showing his mastery of music. past 900 films mark - Only he can do that!!.

Other MDs = learn from maestro!. there is no need to swap qawalli songs or AC/DC to tamil.

His voice is still young - hasn't showed signs of aging. God bless him!!!.

Sanjeevi
3rd May 2009, 09:45 PM
I think it was said "Sangili Murugan is producing this movie"

Is SM involved in this project or not?

irir123
3rd May 2009, 10:41 PM
where can one get the audio CD of AM online ???

Sanjeevi
3rd May 2009, 11:04 PM
summava thalaivar on-screen la vara sammathichu irupparu :). He know about his songs, padal nalla irukkuthu, screen appearance kodukkalamanu avarukku thoni irukkum.

irir123
4th May 2009, 12:36 AM
just listened to AM online - "karugu mani" is a simple and sweet melody - outstanding - pick of the album! followed by the IR solo n then bhava track - rest are so-so timepass tracks - but am glad tat the orchestration is back n the recording quality is really good!

ananth222
4th May 2009, 12:51 AM
good to see IR giving more importance to recording quality and balancing. songs are consistent with his recent albums, good melodies and orchestration, sparing use of cheap synth sounds. "unnai enakku" is my favorite, but wish he had employed a more accomplished singer for this like shreya ghosal rather than bhava. another great album for 2009.. its truly a promising year for IR!

balaji
4th May 2009, 03:04 AM
Arumai!

After a long time, I am listening to new Tamil songs without hitting the stop Button! (Thanks Hulkster for posting the songs)

Kizakku Velukkuthu is my Favorite! The Orchestration is simply out of the world! (though all Dejavu feeling)

Great songs!

Thanks IR.. Your Fans wants this crystal clear recording and orchestration.

Bala

Hulkster
4th May 2009, 05:06 AM
You guys should not have underestimated the village feel in azhagar malai in the movie sense. Even if it is not noteworthy the subject is enough to inspire thalaivar. Mathiya chennai has slum feel and we still have mayilu and ayyan which are very strong village subjects. Start meesic :D

baroque
4th May 2009, 09:07 AM
Oh, Shri.IR raised us with some finest folkish compositions with excellent nativity that arrest our heart instantly.

Thanks Hulkster for the songs. They are O.K. கேக்கும்போதே மனசுல தங்கவில்லை .... for me.

Seeing all those gorgeous photographs, I was expecting a
graceful, divine composition with sustained melody with a fine percussion.

Instead உலகம் இப்போ .... a philosophical composition சுருட்டி சுருட்டி ஒரு tune with no energy.

Are they going to picturise this song with Shri.IR posing around the temple? :roll:

Remember in some divine album, Shri.IR used oru chiri kandaal.... tune. I am not fond of it. It is cinema tune, didn't bring the intended mood.

Like that உலகம் இப்போ .... tune doesn't bring the STATUS the photos reflect for me.

Why should I celebrate the 'dejavu' when I have
the compositions I grew up, musicals touch my heart the way the vintage IR's finest.
Let me continue to celebrate them...

lilting folkish duet like தென்னமரத்துல ....லக்ஷ்மி or வனமெல்லாம் செண்பகப் பூ .... நாடோடி பாட்டுக்காரன் ... Balu with flute! or
ஒ ஹோ ஒ ...
ஒ ஹோ ஒ...
சொல்லி சொல்லி வந்ததில்லை இந்த பிள்ளையின் செந்தமிழ் பாட்டு ..
அன்னை மனம் ஆணையிட இங்கு வந்தது செந்தமிழ் பாட்டு ...
Poignant Balu with loving Swarnalatha, tabala, dramatic strings, cymbal, drums. :musicsmile: :swinghead:

Vinatha. :)

Hulkster
4th May 2009, 10:09 AM
Different characters different style. I could feel the nativity in the tunes. There seems to be deja-vu but when i listen again it seems super fresh.

par
4th May 2009, 10:56 AM
Hulkster,
Here is the negative brigade you were talking about. :)

summava thalaivar on-screen la vara sammathichu irupparu :). He know about his songs, padal nalla irukkuthu, screen appearance kodukkalamanu avarukku thoni irukkum.

rajasaranam
4th May 2009, 11:14 AM
கொஞ்சம் கொழப்பமா தான் இருக்கு. :confused2: How this album is better than 'Karagattakaari'? why that album should be resected while this is hailed!
BTW I am currently enjoying AM. This is the best heard by me in recent days from TFM after yuvans 'KPKP'. :)

baroque
4th May 2009, 11:25 AM
ஒ ராஜாசரணம் ..உங்களுக்கே குழப்பமா இருக்கா... :)

Is it ok, I want to share a movie with you guys(those of you didn't watch yet! :) )

Digression

Breath taking suspense thriller, terrifying creepy villain,excellent suspense building..controlled, precise.
Brutal violence shown not graphically, very understated scenes ..they didn't overdo!
no or very minimal bgm..silence silence bgm ...eerie NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. I have watched in the theater(2007) and checked out DVD again today.
Hope you guys get the DVD at B'lore and Madras. You guys love it! check it out.

End

vinatha.

raja_fan
4th May 2009, 12:31 PM
On my first listen, except for 3 songs, just a OK album, nothing to rave about !

"Unnai enakku" is EXCELLENT ! Hope picturization is mature enough to elevate the feel..

Sureshs65
4th May 2009, 12:45 PM
raja_fan,

Given that the album has six songs, I guess you support the 'glass half empty' philosophy :) Just kidding but I guess three superb songs and three decent songs definitely make this a very good album.

'Unnai Enakku' is my pick of the album as well.

K
4th May 2009, 01:36 PM
http://tamilgallery.oneindia.in/v/Tamil-films/azhagar-malai/

rajaalltheway
4th May 2009, 01:53 PM
AM available in good quality at raagangal.com.The long lost bass lines are coming back slowly in 2009.Kizhakku Velukkuthu is very close to "thevaaram" from "Rasathanthram"
but a cut above.What an year 2009 has been.Ayya in tremendous form...

rajaalltheway
4th May 2009, 01:59 PM
Why on earth Bhavatharini for a classic like UNNAI ENAKKU..?If Ayya could use Chitra in BHAGYADEVATHA why not here?.With
all due respect Bhavatha sounds like someone competing in
a Superstar Junior TV show..

Sureshs65
4th May 2009, 02:21 PM
rajaaalltheway,

Chitra would surely have been a great choice. The song is mesmerizing.

The 'Allipoove' song from Bhagyadevatha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5Y7501hVA

Kerala is wonderful, as usual, and the song fits the surroundings so well. I am convinced that 'Bhagyadevatha' songs are modern classics which will be around for a long time.

gganesh
4th May 2009, 02:45 PM
I dunno why "Allipoove" brings back memories of "Senthoorappoovae"...

sgmsin
4th May 2009, 03:11 PM

I dont know how you get memories of "senthoorappovae" while listening "Allipoove". :?

rajasaranam
4th May 2009, 03:23 PM

I dont know how you get memories of "senthoorappovae" while listening "Allipoove". :?

I dont know how you both are missing the point that Allipoove is a modern version of senthoorapoove :D

rajasaranam
4th May 2009, 03:27 PM
ஒ ராஜாசரணம் ..உங்களுக்கே குழப்பமா இருக்கா... :)

I dont have any confusion regarding the quality of azhagar malai - Its top class by Raaja as always :thumbsup:
but confused over people digging some albums and hailing some albums. Cannot understand how people are arriving at these 'judgements' :|

BTW romba naala 'Breach' padam pathi sollittu irukeengannu DL pannittu irukaen mokkaya mattum irunthathu... :x

raagas
4th May 2009, 03:34 PM
Unnai Enakku from Azhagar Malai is a stealer. Its on loop for now. I dont know about other songs. Will give them time later. For now... This Hamsadhwani deserves one entire day.. I am just enjoying it. Can anyone feel that IR is 63 yrs old ? damn... His youth is still intact friends. I want to run to his studio and touch his feet once!

raja_fan
4th May 2009, 03:46 PM
"Unnai Enakku"........
I was wondering why this resembles "Vatapi ganapathim..", "Suppose unnai kaadhalichu.." and "Enna paatu vendum unakku" from ONOK etc..

Raagas has confirmed the answer..all of them are Hamsadhwani ! :)

gganesh
4th May 2009, 04:05 PM

I dont know how you both are missing the point that Allipoove is a modern version of senthoorapoove :D

:D Oh is it... then I am pleased to have those memories :D

Sureshs65
4th May 2009, 04:37 PM
@gganesh,

That is because some phrases from 'Senthoorapoove' have been included in this song.

gganesh
4th May 2009, 04:53 PM
@gganesh,

That is because some phrases from 'Senthoorapoove' have been included in this song.

I missed the fact. Thanks for the info.

Sanjeevi
4th May 2009, 04:59 PM
Enn Senjalum - average to good. reminds me some Rajkiran songs and Kottai vittu song
Karuga Mani - good and v.good :)
Kizhakku veLukkuthu - Nice orchestration I like, (flute & violin duo, nice rthym pattern), pleasing to listen - somehow I feel it have touched at places the IR+BR combo song output.
Muthamma - good song with good beats.
Ulagam Ippo - fantastic prelude with nice humming by Raaja :). More than good song. good lyrics too.
Unnai Enakku - v. good song with good flow. I have nothing bad against Bavatharini in this song. she did well.

pretty good album

almost equal to Nandalala but I rate Nandala some higher level. But in recording quality this album wins.

Sureshs65
4th May 2009, 05:32 PM
@gganesh,

Sureshs65
4th May 2009, 05:34 PM
My apologies for the multiple post

baroque
4th May 2009, 08:27 PM
ராஜாசரணம் ..

மொக்கையா இருந்ததா .. ...

Breach is a quality spy thriller movie devoid of superficial nudity, idiotic guns and meaningless car chases.

There is no action in this film, because in the beginning itself we were told how it ends.

The movie is all about characters interaction. tightly guided and are finely made.

Strength of the movie is acting..story centered around the actors who performed exceptionally well with Subtle nuances. (I am not a big fan of over dramatizing actors ) Human ego, emotions, arrogance...Copper's intense performance. :thumbsup: I love low key movies with good substance.

(What happened to Mani Ratnam's RAVANA?)

No country for Men.. if you are watching, you may find it inconclusive. :roll: Logical violence, appropriate but huge bloody bodies in your face. I loved the creepiness of the villan :) otherwise look very regular. (Note the coin-toss scene in grocery store) After they established the violence, they started showing with understated scenes, no twists in the film, beautiful cinematography of the West Texas wilderness, minimal dialogue and bgm...SILENCE. and the wind. I loved it in the theater and in dvds couple of times. எனக்குப் பிடித்த film..:)

அழகர் மலை songs are O.K.
Ulagam .... a Self patronising philosophical composition with absolutely no energy is a disappointment for me after seeing those photos.

IR has done already like that as I pointed out(oru chiri kandaal..tune usage for a divine album), completely not suitable tune, miserably failing to bring the rasa/mood the composition intended.

another song I point.

Same tune in Raga Ahir Bhairavi.
Same tune used by Shri.IR and Laxmikant Pyarilal.
But the tune served the purpose of the composition better with L.P.
marandhen.....Ilayaraajavin Geethanjali.
sola baras.....Ek tujhe keLiye...L.P.Same tune packed with passion, pathos, drama is stunning.
But marandhen......filmy tune in IR's Geethanjali doesn't carry any mood in a devotional album for me.

vinatha.

raja_fan
4th May 2009, 10:00 PM
"Ulagam ippo..."

Hangover of "Mella oorndhu oorndhu.." from NL . Another version of "Niram piriththu.." from Time ! :)

jaiganes
4th May 2009, 11:33 PM
strange - when someone like inetk likes an IR album after a long while, IR fans are divided in accepting the album!! strange indeed. I am yet to listen and hope to catch up with it soon to say which side i am on.

Sureshs65
4th May 2009, 11:48 PM
Jai,

I am sure you will like the album.

BTW, does anyone know who is the female singer in the 'Karugumani' song? The CD credits only Illayaraja!!

'Unnai Enakku' along with 'Kannil Paarvai' from NK, are probably the best female solos we have heard in TFM in the recent past.

irir123
5th May 2009, 12:55 AM
Sureshs65 - where can I buy Azhagar Malai CD online ?

ananth222
5th May 2009, 01:55 AM
strange - when someone like inetk likes an IR album after a long while, IR fans are divided in accepting the album!!IR fans have always been divided in accepting IR albums (as far as I can recall from discussions on the recent albums here) - so whats strange about this one?

nishanth_in
5th May 2009, 07:41 AM
Karuga mani is my pick from Azhagar Malai.The orchestration and composition sounds fresh when compared to IR's recent works. This song makes the rest of the soundtrack sound average and I am glad that he took a break from his usual synth sounds. :D

The sound quality is also much better than IR's recent releases. Now I Can't wait to listen to IR's next.....

Jai,

BTW, does anyone know who is the female singer in the 'Karugumani' song? The CD credits only Illayaraja!!

I guess its Bela Shinde. If its her then this is her second duet with IR, she had earlier sung with IR in Machan Machan from Silambattam.

popeye11
5th May 2009, 08:23 AM
This album is full of energy..

Raaja proves that he is still capable of delivering tracks with amazing interludes and orchestration.. Absolutely love the violins in kizhake, karugamani, muthama ..
Dint have much hopes for this album.. but here comes the surprise package! Hail the Maestro!
Fantastic songs..

Hulkster
5th May 2009, 09:32 AM
Hulkster,
Here is the negative brigade you were talking about. :)

Nah not Sanjeevi, its quite obvious who it is but nvm :lol2: I am enjoying the album too much to be caught by any negative comment coming out. :notworthy:

To me karuga mani and kelakku velakkadhu(especially the second stanza of the tune) are amazing. The rest are very good.

Bela shinde has sung one more song before machan machan with IR. It is koothu onnu from dhanam.

krish244
5th May 2009, 11:29 AM
Hulkster, koothu onnu is not by Bele Shinde. Its sung by a singer by name Beji.

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
5th May 2009, 12:40 PM
Bela shinde has sung in Dhanam .. Unakkullae song i guess

gganesh
5th May 2009, 12:40 PM
I like "Enna Senjaalum"... it closely resembles "Saamigale Saamigale" from "En purushanthaan enakku mattum thaan"... but I think sir is getting back to his groove with such native tunes

raja_fan
5th May 2009, 01:47 PM
Some more songs that "Unnai enakku" resembles..

"Poomudithu pottu vaitha vatta nila ..."
"Ther kondu vandhavan yaarendru solladi.."

I was surprised that both of these are Hamsadhwani too !

IR paattu ketkka ketkka, carnatic knowledge varum polirukku :)

gganesh
5th May 2009, 01:55 PM
Some more songs that "Unnai enakku" resembles..

"Poomudithu pottu vaitha vatta nila ..."
"Ther kondu vandhavan yaarendru solladi.."

I was surprised that both of these are Hamsadhwani too !

IR paattu ketkka ketkka, carnatic knowledge varum polirukku :)

"Poomudithu pottu vaitha" is also from "En purushanthaan enakku mattum thaan".... thats quite interesting too...

Sanjeevi
5th May 2009, 02:05 PM
Ulagam .... a Self patronising philosophical composition with absolutely no energy is a disappointment for me after seeing those photos.

The song has prayer like tune but lyrics not
The song has duet like beats but situation not

quite different from what we expected :)

However the prelude is simply top

gganesh
5th May 2009, 02:37 PM
I think Raaja sir will be seen in "Ulagam Ippo"

krish244
5th May 2009, 03:20 PM
Yes MumbaiRamki! Bele shinde has sung "Unakkulle" (with Sriram parthasarathy, I think) in Dhanam.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
5th May 2009, 03:21 PM
Don't know if its already been told here...new malayalam movie by IR titled "Alexander the great" *ing mohanlal.

http://malayalam.galatta.com/entertainment/malayalam/livewire/id/Aswathy_opposite_Mohanlal_24615.html

thanks,

Krishnan

Hulkster
5th May 2009, 03:36 PM
Oh that is beji or feji? enna peru pa ithu yellam :confused2:

Baroque, Ulagam ippo's tune structure is valid to the situation. In the situation IR goes through his childhood days to his mother's cementery. The tune really has that "rewinding my memories" feel. If it had energy it would look absolutely weird on screen. The prelude is already a giveaway to the situation(IR's art of composing part 250000).

I am surprised that you judged the song so hastily without understanding what it is based on :o

K
5th May 2009, 04:39 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w2hunznmjnt/Azhakar%20Malai.rar

baroque
5th May 2009, 09:25 PM
I am not hasty.

I understood the situation.... it is about his childhood, his recall etc.. there can be a sense of nostalgic vibe (energy-endru mentioned. divine means inexplicable -admirable endru mentioned.) along with poignancy- touchy feeling in the song. I don't feel in it. Song doesn't touch my heart. ஏதோ one of the songs ஆயிடுச்சு, not impressive . பாடல் கேட்டு நெகிழ்ந்து போவேன்னு எதிர்பார்த்தேன் ...after seeing the precious photos. That's why I am disappointed.

Sanjeev, ENJOY!

Anyway..I am listening to his previous தாயின் பிரிவால் தாயை போற்றும் கீதங்கள் ... for the past day..( it is expected to have lot of pathos along with other feelings - ex. enchantment and fun like நானாக நானில்லை .... or What a mesmerizing flute prelude with அம்மன் கோவில் எல்லாமே ...., gloomy violin lude... , அம்மா அம்மா ஆருயிரே ..... HEAVENLY LONGING....in some Rajini film...What a drama with postlude! :musicsmile: I can listen forever...)
Some of the FINEST, I celebrate! :ty:

Vinatha.

raja_fan
5th May 2009, 10:07 PM
"உன்னை எனக்கு..."

யாருப்பா எழுதியிருக்கிறார் ?

"மூக்குத்தியின் வெளிச்சத்திலே ராத்திரியில் விழித்திருந்தேன்..."
அருமையான கற்ப்பனை !

இந்த மாதிரி, ஒரு பெண்ணின் காதல் உணர்வுகளை சொல்லும் அழகான பாடல் ராஜ் கிரண் மாதிரி இயக்குனர்களிடம் மாட்டியிருந்தால் நம்பிக்கையுடன் காத்திருக்கலாம் !
"ராசாவே உன்னை விட மாட்டேன்.." , "குயில் பாட்டு..." போன்ற பாடல்கள் படமாக்கப்பட்ட விதமே சாட்சி.

இந்த படத்தின் இயக்குனர் என்ன செய்திருக்கிறாரோ என்று நினைத்தால் பயமாக இருக்கிறது..ஒரு வேளை குழந்தைத்தனமாக நாற்பது தாவணிகளை ஆட விட்டிருந்தால்...?

ஹ்ம்ம்..பார்க்கலாம்..

kiru
6th May 2009, 01:09 AM

The song has prayer like tune but lyrics not
The song has duet like beats but situation not

quite different from what we expected :)

However the prelude is simply top
Sounds like April MayilE, pasumaiye Illa, kaanchi pochuda.. (?)

dochu
6th May 2009, 05:25 AM
just thought to post this - In "Ulagam eppo....." song IR's voice (entire song) gets faintly repeated with a delay in the background. This happens throughout the song except the interludes.

I really wish IR used real drums and other instruements in bhavatharini's song. It was my first pick of the album followed by karugu mani.

Sureshs65
6th May 2009, 11:51 AM
My review of Azhagar Malai

1. Ulagam Ippo : A slow paced philosophical song. The instrumentation is minimal with a fairly steady beat holding the tune together. Nice singing by Raja and the tune is very melodious. A very soothing song. The genre of this song will be on the lines of 'Mella Oornthu Oornthu' but this is a totally different tune. Sankarabaranam scale?

2. Enna Senjalum: The song starts with the tavil playing the kanda nadai and then the nadaswaram starts playing Mayamalavagowla. A typical folkish melody based on Mayamalavagowla. An energetic song has the nadaswaram (or is it shenoi?) playing the raga in the first interlude. Seems to be a situation song extolling the virtues of God. Probably a dance in front of God in a 'tiruvizha'.

3. Kizhaku Velukuthu: The start of this song makes you think this will be another synth driven song but it is not so. The pallavi starts off with the backing of tabla beats and hand claps and the rhythm has a North Indian feel. What elevates this song is the lovely start to the charanam, 'marudhani arachi vacchen'. Excellent melody before the song becomes vigorous again. Raja is a master in introducing melody in even the most fast paced song.

4. Unnai Ennaku: The initial guitar strumming and the humming don't give you a clue of what is to follow. THE best song of the album. What an Hamsadhwani!! Raja is known for the huge number of Hamsadhwanis that he has given but still finds a tune which doesn't sound like his earlier Hamsadhwanis and sounds very fresh. The beat is steady and the first interlude is on the keyboard and in the second interlude a violin plays Hamsadhwani briefly. The melody quotient increases a lot in the charanam. I know Bhavatharini has many detractors but I am not complaining. As raagas noted earlier, very difficult to believe that a man past 60 yrs of age can deliver something so youthful. A song worth being in a loop. How big a hit this song will be depends on the picturisation but the director has a tune which has the potential to be as big a hit as 'Kangal Irandal'. Let's see what he does with it.

Karugumani: I would think this song belongs to the genre of songs like 'Elam Katru Veesudu' and 'Oliyile Terivathu'. This song is as good a song as any in this genre. A lovely duet backed by a nice steady beat. Probably the next most impressive song after 'Unnai Ennaku'.

Muthamma Muthamma: This seems to a fun type of song. Nice vigorous rhythm. More a situational fun song I guess

Overall a very nice album. 'Unnai Ennaku' and 'Karugumani' will be heard for a long time. I have no doubt about it.

Sureshs65
6th May 2009, 12:30 PM
"Aadi Thiratannil" from Bhagyadevatha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IE56Bd5kGg

Lovely song.

krish244
6th May 2009, 01:03 PM
Listened to Azhagar Malai. My take:

1. Enna Senjalum: Nice rural based melody with simple, clear and effective orchestration/rhythm pattern. Both singers do a good job, especially Tippu.

2. Karugu Mani: Decent melody. IR has sung well, but in places, the strain shows a little.

3. Kezhakku: Somehow pallavi did not impress me, but the way the bass (synth?) progresses between 1:43 is 1:53 is amazing and also the way the first two lines of charanam starts with those bass lines is honey soaked tune.

4. Muthamma: Foot tapping rhythm and a catchy tune. Madhu Balakrishnan gets to sing a kind of racy song and he does a decent job. IR can fuse different sounds/genre's into his interludes "so well". This is evident in 2nd interlude. This song should be a mass hit, depending on the picturisation.

5. Unnai enakku: A nice humming to start with. A nice melody and stands out for its music (especially interludes), but Bhavatharini is just not able to bring the variations well.

6. Ulagam ippo: Prelude pattern certainly reminded me of "mella oorndhu" song. The beats took me back to "Diana Diana" song from "Kaadhal kavithai". The harmonium/harmonica kind of sounds are good, but I really wish he gives complete interludes. This song did not impress me that much.

Sound clarity is really good. For rural genre, IR seems to be using less of synth sounds. I wish he does the same in other genre movies as well.

Certainly a decent album. My pick would be Muthamma, Unnai Enakku and Kezhakku (especially charanam tune). Even 90's style "Enna Senjalum" is good. Irrespective of how the movie does, this movie should stand out for its music.

thanks,

Krishnan

eagle
6th May 2009, 01:31 PM
Album worth buying?

Sureshs65
6th May 2009, 02:51 PM
eagle,

It is priced here at Rs.50. So it is more than worth buying for this cost :)

irir123
6th May 2009, 07:41 PM
eagle,

It is priced here at Rs.50. So it is more than worth buying for this cost :)

Where can I get it online ??

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 07:58 PM
Just starting with Karuga Mani

What a delightful song :cool2: :musicsmile:

Travel pannikitte kettomunna innum sugama irukkum.... 8-)

NagaS
6th May 2009, 08:15 PM
Who is the female singer in "KarugamaNi"? Shreya Goshal?

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 08:17 PM
Nagas,
Bela Shinde

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 08:19 PM
Karuga Mani and Unnai enakku (in spite of Bavadharini) worked on first listening. The rest are no great shakes. Will need more focussed iterations

NagaS
6th May 2009, 09:18 PM
Nagas,
Bela Shinde

Ah, a second duet with IR so soon? (After Silambattam), She sure is a lucky singer :)

ananth222
6th May 2009, 10:21 PM
Karuga Mani and Unnai enakku (in spite of Bavadharini) worked on first listening. The rest are no great shakes. Will need more focussed iterationsAgree. Nandalala is a better album than this - but I had great expectations for NL and was a little disappointed; I had zero expectations for this and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise! Overall not bad... great to see such diverse albums coming from IR again.

Sureshs65
7th May 2009, 12:02 AM
Yes Ananth. Lot of diverse albums this year. NK, Nandalala, Bhagyadevatha and now Azhagar Malai. In my opinion all the albums have been good. Azghar Malai was a definite surprise. My personal pick is Bhagyadevatha for its uncompromising accent on melody. Love all the three songs. Other than Bhagyadevatha songs, my personal picks are 'Kannil Parvai' and 'Unnai Enakku'. Amazing melodies both.

raagas
7th May 2009, 11:43 AM
In unnai Enakku, after the entire pallavi is sung once... Ilaiyaraaja makes her sing a "Unnai Enakkuuuuuu".. a gamakam there and again "Unnai enakku starts off... I think that was a brilliant idea. My only (and I feel it so badly) ONLY regret is... Ilaiyaraaja should have repeated this particular piece (of extending leading words and singing it again) or idea... at the end of charanams, when she gets back to Pallavi. It would have given that wonderful 'finale' to each charanam.

Aah! wish i was IR's assistant for this song (although i am incapable)

jaiganes
7th May 2009, 08:52 PM
I havent heard AM songs yet, but I somehow felt after listening to Nandalaala that we are in for a treat. The preludes were very unhurried and serenely set up. Whenever I hear those preludes, there is peace on earth.

ramk1
8th May 2009, 08:00 AM
AM is a bore. Same old tunes with nothing new. Hardcore IR fans may like it, but it wud soon assume the same old fate as his other recent albums.

krish244
8th May 2009, 11:33 AM
This link says Pazhassi Raja audio is released:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/46784.html

"The audio of the film was launched recently, with Illayaraja being the music composer."

This is a period subject with a good director and cast/crew. I am sort of expecting some good/apt music from IR. Lets see.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
8th May 2009, 01:05 PM
krish244,

Actress Kaniha told in a Malayalam channel that PR is releasing on Aug-15 .

Will they release audio before 3 months of film's release ? that too in Malayalam industry ??

Very doubtful !

krish244
8th May 2009, 04:39 PM
Will they release audio before 3 months of film's release ? that too in Malayalam industry ??

Maybe indiaglitz got some wrong information as there is no news about the release.

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
8th May 2009, 08:55 PM
'swapnangaL kaNNezhudhiya' in loop.

A fine execution of original IR recipe. It used to be a regular feature in his earlier songs where he'll "switch-off" the bass for a portion of the song and then introduce it quite powerfully to raise the spirit of the listeners / creating pullarippu.

He is back to using that old trick in the saraNam of this song where the first few lines has only the chords with no bass, then when the singer starts 'kadhirurainja pOla..' the majestic entry of bass, strings changes the whole ambience.

It's so nice to see IR back to using his bass in his original style.

The only thing that has to come back is powerful percussion when using western drums - he is fine with the low frequency "kick" part but the higher frequency "hard-hitting" is simply missing - giving way to tsk-tsk half-heartedness.

Remember the start of 'adiyE manam nillunnA nikkAdhadee'? I want that kind of hard-htting back!

Sureshs65
8th May 2009, 10:49 PM
A_E,

'Swapnangal' in a loop with me too. Superb song. Infact all the three songs of 'Bhagyadevatha' are in a loop. Can't go to sleep without listening to them atleast once :) Magical stuff. The picturisation of all three songs is nice too.

app_engine
8th May 2009, 11:26 PM
Yes Sureshs65, superb song. The flat (or sharp) note in pallavi in the line 'kani kaNdirunnuvO' makes it so graceful.

Lot of small small nice things in this song. It used to be this way for Raja's early songs where he'll pack just too many items in one single song - thiNaRippOyiduvOm. (உ-ம் ஏதோ மோகம், ஏதோ தாகம் - என்ன இல்லை இந்தப்பாட்டில்?)

Sanjeevi
9th May 2009, 04:39 PM
'Swapnangal' in loop

Whoa

What a song :omg: :happydance: :victory:

:ty: raaja

par
10th May 2009, 12:35 PM
"உன்னை எனக்கு..."

அருமையான கற்ப்பனை !

பழனி பாரதி எழுதியது.

இதே போன்ற ஒரு வரி ஏற்கனவே ஒரு படத்தில் வந்திருக்கிறது.

”மூக்குத்தியின் பொன் கீற்று ராத்திரிக்குப் போதும்.”

படம்: ஆயுத எழுத்து
பாடல்: வைரமுத்து

vigneshram
10th May 2009, 01:15 PM
[tscii:c0a085ba93]

"உன்னை எனக்கு..."

அருமையான கற்ப்பனை !

பழனி பாரதி எழுதியது.

இதே போன்ற ஒரு வரி ஏற்கனவே ஒரு படத்தில் வந்திருக்கிறது.

”மூக்குத்தியின் பொன் கீற்று ராத்திரிக்குப் போதும்.”

படம்: ஆயுத எழுத்து
பாடல்: வைரமுத்து

வைரமுத்துவிற்கு முன்பே அதே பழனிபாரதி 1998 இல் வெளியான "அவள் வருவாளா" படத்தில் "சேலையில வீடு கட்டவா " என்ற பாடலில் ' மூக்குத்தியின் மின்னல் ஒரு தீபம் ஏற்றி வைத்து போக" என்று எழுதியிருக்கிறார்.
[/tscii:c0a085ba93]

thamizhvaanan
10th May 2009, 01:32 PM
The hyperbole perhaps started from the legend that nose ring of amman in Kanyakumari temple was bright enough to misguide ships (thinking of it as light house) causing it to crash to onto the rocky coast. I don't know whether this idea is already present any other literature.

krish244
10th May 2009, 02:24 PM
Was watching "Manasellam" movie. Noticed that there is a short english song during the end credits. Decent one.

http://www.tamiltubevid.com/2009/01/manasellam-skrikanth-tamil-movie-watch.html

Watch from 73:03 (Part 2). Its been fast forwarded at the end though :). Don't know who is the singer. Jimmy and Febi are mentioned as part of the singers (in end credits).

thanks,

Krishnan

eagle
10th May 2009, 02:41 PM
Finally listened to the songs of Azhagar Malai. To start with the sound quality of the album is excellent. Nice songs, reasonably well written lyrics, in fact i found all the songs are very pleasant to listen to... just like old times...

So much so that the album begging to have ramarajan and gowthami on the cover and the release date somewhere in the late nineties... Its a time capsule offered at a very low price...highly recommended for HC rajaa fans alone... not going to create a ripple for sure... now as usual we can review the the songs and list out the merits...

Once again i am convinced of the fact that very few people can extract the best music from him... i remember virumandi songs how after all those years being a real king of folk kamal made him reinvent himself again...it will be always rated as his finest effort in the folk genre.

raja_fan
10th May 2009, 10:08 PM
When Pazhani bharathi started to work with IR, IR once reportedly remarked to Pazhani that his style is very similar to Vairamuthu. Pazhani has promptly replied "What wonder is there if a son resembles his father ? ".

Vairamuthu is certainly a pioneer in ushering in a new style of imaginations in Tamil lyrics. Many people including Pazhani has lifted VM's imaginations if not his words.

For example, there is a line in "Rojaavai thalaattum thendral..." from Ninaivellaam Nithya. "Nee kattum selaikku noolaaven..."

How many times has this imagination reused in Tamil songs in the nineties ?
In Kadhalukku Mariyaadhai, Pazhani used "Un Selai noolaagavaa..." in the song "Oru pattaam poochi..." :)

rajasaranam
10th May 2009, 10:52 PM
Was watching "Manasellam" movie. Noticed that there is a short english song during the end credits. Decent one.

http://www.tamiltubevid.com/2009/01/manasellam-skrikanth-tamil-movie-watch.html

Watch from 73:03 (Part 2). Its been fast forwarded at the end though :). Don't know who is the singer. Jimmy and Febi are mentioned as part of the singers (in end credits).

thanks,

Krishnan

Well you reminded me of this song :) I watched the movie in theatre and was amused to listen to this song then. Later I had been trying to find a decent DVD of the movie and could not.

Some one else had already done a favour in youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sp46jzLsTI
The song is just a different version of 'Nee Thoongum Nerathil' If you could notice :wink:

krish244
11th May 2009, 12:29 AM
Yes rajasaranam, noticed that its derived from "Nee Thoongum" song. Infact, the music of "Nee thoongum" song starts about a minute before this song starts.

thanks,

Krishnan

writeface
11th May 2009, 07:53 AM
Did KR go on vacation when IR recorded Azhagar Malai? :)
So many of IR's favorite instruments (hope they are real) have made a comeback! Wish they will stay and not get replaced by their tinny cousins.

Hulkster
11th May 2009, 07:59 AM
IR's Chal Chalein starring Mithun Chakraborthy screened for the upcoming Cannes Film Festival.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Bollywood/Ujjwal-Chal-Chalein-Cannes/articleshow/4505931.cms

The website for the movie (contains some of the ludes of the two tracks)

http://www.chalchaleinthefilm.com/main.html

Courtesy of Orkut hubber Heart-a

rajasaranam
11th May 2009, 09:42 AM
Hulkster,

Thanks for the info. Beautiful Ludes. This year is a blast for Raaja fans I Believe :D

krish244
11th May 2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks Hulkster! First track, although sounds nice, is too short to say anything right now. Second one seems to be a theme track with nice whistle like catchy sound and other assisting melodies. At one point in the 2nd track, there is a nice flourish of violins. Nicely done.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
11th May 2009, 01:36 PM
BTW, in the gallery section, you can find three snaps of IR.

thanks,

Krishnan

Hulkster
11th May 2009, 04:03 PM
Hulkster,

Thanks for the info. Beautiful Ludes. This year is a blast for Raaja fans I Believe :D

Namakku Andrum Indrum Endrumey Blast thaan :D

The first song caught my attention. There is a nice underlying piano which makes it sound sweet. Quite different orchestration.

crajkumar_be
11th May 2009, 04:19 PM
IR's Chal Chalein starring Mithun Chakraborthy screened for the upcoming Cannes Film Festival.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Bollywood/Ujjwal-Chal-Chalein-Cannes/articleshow/4505931.cms

The website for the movie (contains some of the ludes of the two tracks)

http://www.chalchaleinthefilm.com/main.html

Courtesy of Orkut hubber Heart-a
Thanks!
Short but promising nevertheless...

Sureshs65
11th May 2009, 05:59 PM
The sound track of the Kannada movie 'Nannavanu' has been released. Has 6 regular tracks and one short track. On first pass 3 superb songs. Will listen more and give a review.

SPB figures in 3 songs. Long time since he sang for a Raja movie. Bela Shinde features prominently as the female singer.

Hulkster
11th May 2009, 06:04 PM
I was shocked as well. Apparently released last friday with no news on this except for this web page.

http://www.gandhadagudi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3993

Any links to listen?

par
11th May 2009, 06:28 PM
When Pazhani bharathi started to work with IR, IR once reportedly remarked to Pazhani that his style is very similar to Vairamuthu. Pazhani has promptly replied "What wonder is there if a son resembles his father ? ".

Vairamuthu is certainly a pioneer in ushering in a new style of imaginations in Tamil lyrics. Many people including Pazhani has lifted VM's imaginations if not his words.

For example, there is a line in "Rojaavai thalaattum thendral..." from Ninaivellaam Nithya. "Nee kattum selaikku noolaaven..."

How many times has this imagination reused in Tamil songs in the nineties ?
In Kadhalukku Mariyaadhai, Pazhani used "Un Selai noolaagavaa..." in the song "Oru pattaam poochi..." :)

Dig:
It will be interesting to start a thread on the similarities in the Tamil lyrics (Or, is there already one?). Not to demean anyone. Just for academic purposes. :)

Sureshs65
11th May 2009, 06:29 PM
My views after a first pass listening.

The first song is a nice song sung by Illayaraja and Bhela Shinde. The second and third song are more synth dominated songs. The fourth song is of classical type, Hamsanandi based, song sung by SPB. The next song is also sung by SPB. It is a rhythm oriented devotional song. The next song is 'Enidu Enidu' the best song of the album and reminding us the Raja of the 80s. The singer listed in Sriram and Bhela Shine. Sriram sounds like Rajkumar. Excellent song which will have you pressing the rewind button. It rewinds you to the glorious 80s. The last song is a duet by SPB and Bhela. A very nice free flowing melody reminding you of the 'Aa Dinagalu' songs. All in all a mixed album. Three melody based numbers, two semi classical type numbers and two synth based numbers. Will post a more detailed review after I listen to it a few more times.

Hulk: I don't know any links which has these songs.

crajkumar_be
11th May 2009, 06:34 PM
SPB figures in 3 songs. Long time since he sang for a Raja movie.
Yes, great to know about SPB singing for IR again

raagas
11th May 2009, 07:07 PM
It is weird and disappointing that we folks dont even know if a Ilaiyaraaja album is about to be released or not. Despite this being information-age, the internet, the "everrything is news" kind of world thats around us... Suddenly, out of the blow, we come to know about it.

And we dont have immediate access too.

Waiting to listen to this album now.
To think of it, Bhagyadevatha, Azhagar Malai and now this one. Lookslike we will have 1 album every fortnight. :)

irir123
11th May 2009, 08:10 PM
My views after a first pass listening.

The first song is a nice song sung by Illayaraja and Bhela Shinde. The second and third song are more synth dominated songs. The fourth song is of classical type, Hamsanandi based, song sung by SPB. The next song is also sung by SPB. It is a rhythm oriented devotional song. The next song is 'Enidu Enidu' the best song of the album and reminding us the Raja of the 80s. The singer listed in Sriram and Bhela Shine. Sriram sounds like Rajkumar. Excellent song which will have you pressing the rewind button. It rewinds you to the glorious 80s. The last song is a duet by SPB and Bhela. A very nice free flowing melody reminding you of the 'Aa Dinagalu' songs. All in all a mixed album. Three melody based numbers, two semi classical type numbers and two synth based numbers. Will post a more detailed review after I listen to it a few more times.

Hulk: I don't know any links which has these songs.

where can i get AM and this CD - ONLINE ???

writeface
11th May 2009, 10:02 PM
For AM, try sensongs.com

writeface
11th May 2009, 10:02 PM
or tamilmp3world.com

app_engine
11th May 2009, 10:58 PM
"மெல்ல ஊர்ந்து ஊர்ந்து" :-)

Very interesting song with somewhat state-of-the-art style presentation (neat recording, vocal harmony, good synth sounds etc).

However, whenever I hear this song, my mind automatically switch to 100% nAttuppuRa mood and start applying the "டண்டணக்கர, டக்கர, டக்கர" pattern from country drums.

Raja has very cleverly packaged a pucca village song in a contemporary format, fusion of a different kind, IMO.

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 03:34 PM
Listening to the 'yenidu yenidu' song from 'Nanavannu'. A lovely song which takes me back in time. Reminds me of some songs of master tunesmiths like MSV's 'Muthukalo Kangal' and Pendyala's 'Vinnanule Priya'. Suddha Dhanyasi? As good a song as the ones I mentioned. Lovely first interlude with some very good synth bass and violin and flute pieces. Second interlude starts with the keyboard before the violin and flute join in.

raja_fan
12th May 2009, 04:22 PM
Sureshs65,

No one else other than you here, have access to Nannavanu songs. Summaa veruppethaatheenga :)

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 04:23 PM
raja_fan,

That is why I am refraining myself from writing a more detailed review :) In case you are in Bangalore, you should be able to get it in stores now. I hope it becomes available widely soon. A nice album.

raja_fan
12th May 2009, 04:25 PM
Suresh65,

oru paattaavadhu upload pannanumnu thonudhaa ungalukku ? :x

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 04:31 PM
raja_fan,

I would love to atleast load some samples but don't have the required infrastructure to do it. (Slow link, no online account etc). I will check with my friend and see if some samples can be uploaded.

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 05:16 PM
raja_fan,

I have uploaded some samples for your listening pleasure. Hope you are able to get the CD soon.

Go to this link for the samples (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8e33cb20ac50d571d6baebe61b361f7ce04e75f6 e8ebb871)

raagas
12th May 2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks a lot Suresh, for posting the samples. The album no doubt is promising. from 1st listening, of the samples, i dont think i will have any complaints abt this album.

I liked Track 7 (keeravani raagam).

Yenidu Yenidu has suddha Dhanyasi tones, but i can smell lot of Madhyamavathi too. Can you confirm this raaga?

Track 1 sounds interesting despite the synth, but i must admit the female voice didnt appeal to me somehow.

Track 4 was a literal throwback at Raaga deepam song by SPB from a tamil film.

Track 5 didnt interest me much (i personally cant listen to such kind of songs, Om Sivoham being a rare exception).

I am looking forward to this album.

Thanks again to Suresh.

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 06:59 PM
I am also not very certain of 'Yenidu Yenidu'. It sounds Suddha Dhanyasi but I don't think it is pure Suddha Dhanyasi. The raga seems to be on the lines of the songs I had mentioned, 'Vinnanule Priya' and 'Muthukalo Kangal'.

Track 5 is more a folk oriented song very similar to 'Sye Chindeye' from Anthapuram. I feel SPB shouts a bit in this.

There are two more songs which I have not uploaded. They are more synth driven and I am not captivated by them as of now.

Agree with you about the female voice. In many cases I wish it was someone like Shreya who had sung. The first track is indeed interesting.

krish244
12th May 2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Suresh for the samples.

Track 1 (muthuthu): Catchy tune with interesting rhythm. IR's strained voice shows in high pitches.

Track 4 (devadhi): I got reminded of "Vedham" song. Maybe its in the similar raagam?

Track 5 (om shivo hum): Chorus and rhythm reminded me of "Thai thaga thai" song. Decent I should say.

Track 6 (yenidhu) : Nice melody. Who is the singer? Sriram Parthasarathy?

Track 7 (mudhalane): Right from prelude, this song impresses. The flowing flute is amazing.

Looking forward to the full songs.

thanks,

Krishnan

baroque
12th May 2009, 08:14 PM
:ty: suresh for the generosity. Will go over the songs.
My Dear LOVER BOY is back with Shri.IR! :bluejump: :swinghead:
Track - 4 தேவாதி தேவா.... Hamsanandhi.....:ty: Shri.IR...என்னை என்னோட உயிரோட சேர்த்து வைத்ததுக்கு ... S.P.Bala RULES!
சிவ மாலை ..பாலா'ச தீப தரிசனம் ...is ஹம்சானந்தி too.
Track - 6.... Beautiful good old 80s IR .... நன்றி சுரேஷா :bluejump: ..... Melody is a strong Sudhdha dhanyasi mix I cuddle காதல் வானிலே...காதல் வானிலே.... ROMANCE IN THE AIR! :bluejump:
This is a Blessed Tuesday already....
Guys, Please post the shops info at B'lore & Madras....
any other collections you guys bought too.
அப்பா வரப்போறா, எனக்கு எடுத்துண்டு வருவா ..
Vinatha.

chash
12th May 2009, 08:52 PM
I'm so thrilled,, so the fm in bangalore have got some good no's to play from now on ,, :)

ananth222
12th May 2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the samples Suresh
One more feather in IR's 2009 cap!

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 09:15 PM
Krish,

I don't think it is Sriram Parthasarathy. The voice doesn't sound like him. It reminds me more of Rajkumar's voice.

Vinatha: I generally shop for my CDs at Calypso in Jayanagar or Landmark in Forum Mall.

baroque
12th May 2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks Suresh,
How about Malleshwaram, Mathekere ...
My folks buy from MaEbag.com too.
http://www.maebag.com/
vinatha.

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 09:52 PM
Vinatha,

In Malleswaram, there are many shops on the Sampige Road near the 8th cross. A small complex inside which you will find lots of shops selling CDs. They generally have the whole range, film, classical etc.

raja_fan
12th May 2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks Suresh for the samples :)

I liked 3 songs, yet feel IR could have avoided singing !

And for the first time , I find the lion SPB struggling to keep up his standard :(

Yenidhu is class ! Sounds like Rajkumar is out of his grave..