PDA

View Full Version : || Slumdog Millionaire | Danny Boyle | Dev Patel ||

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Sourav
10th December 2008, 10:52 AM
Rahman wins his First Award for Slumdog Millionaire Score (not the song but the entire score) beating Thomas Newman and Alexandre Desplat

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4bd301b9abd26e41d3054d9e881ef91e :bluejump: :redjump: :boo: :clap: :notworthy: :swinghead: :smokesmirk: :smokesmirk: :victory: :yes: :exactly: :cool2: :2thumbsup: :bluejump: :redjump: :boo: :clap: :notworthy: :swinghead: :smokesmirk: :smokesmirk: :victory: :yes: :exactly: :cool2: :2thumbsup:

crajkumar_be
10th December 2008, 11:48 AM
:notworthy:

dinesh2002
10th December 2008, 11:48 AM
Rahman wins his First Award for Slumdog Millionaire Score (not the song but the entire score) beating Thomas Newman and Alexandre Desplat

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4bd301b9abd26e41d3054d9e881ef91e

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :victory: :victory: :yes: :yes: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :swinghead: :swinghead:

A.ANAND
10th December 2008, 12:00 PM
:bluejump: :redjump: :boo: :bluejump: :clap: :clap: :2thumbsup: :omg: :omg: :notworthy: :omg: :omg: :yes: :yes: :yes: :2thumbsup: :victory: :cool2: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :clap: :victory: :victory: :thumbsup:

moochu thenara thenara pottachu! :lol: ooow!

SoftSword
10th December 2008, 12:02 PM
LA critics award avlo periya visayama enna...?

ajaybaskar
10th December 2008, 12:18 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4bd301b9abd26e41d3054d9e881ef91e

:clap:

littlemaster1982
10th December 2008, 06:03 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy:

Thalafanz
10th December 2008, 06:04 PM
:clap: :bow: :redjump: Congrates ARR sir :bluejump: :bow: :clap:

Vivasaayi
10th December 2008, 06:08 PM
:clap:

SoftSword
10th December 2008, 07:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7772458.stm

ArulprakasH
10th December 2008, 07:57 PM
Rahman JI :notworthy:

Nerd
10th December 2008, 08:22 PM
:2thumbsup: If Jai Ho atleast gets nominated for oscars, we can see ARR performing live at LA in front of millions.

Ramakrishna
10th December 2008, 09:05 PM
:2thumbsup: If Jai Ho atleast gets nominated for oscars, we can see ARR performing live at LA in front of millions.

paattu pidikkalennu sonnael :lol2:

SoftSword
10th December 2008, 09:11 PM
adhu pona maasam...
idhu indha maasam... ;)

apart from the joke... this is wat happens with arrs new albums...

Nerd
10th December 2008, 09:16 PM

paattu pidikkalennu sonnael :lol2:
:confused2: Ippavum pidikkala dhAn (Jai Ho). But I love the other tracks. Since jai ho is the most popular, (in most reviews in the west) chances are high.. My pick is O Saya but don't think they ll nominate it :?

littlemaster1982
10th December 2008, 10:41 PM
Danny Boyle's interview (http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_15891.html)

MoviesOnline: Where did you get that incredible music?

DANNY BOYLE: This guy A.R. Rahman, he’s just the most amazing composer, he’s a beautiful composer, lovely man, very sweet man, very famous, so famous in India, I mean staggering fame, and yet so modest and gentle. It’s a really interesting time there because what’s happening is there’s the classical way of scoring there, which is songs really, and then there’s R & B and Hip Hop is coming in from America, flooding in from America, and house music and disco is coming in from Europe more, so you’ve got this fusion going on of styles. And, of course, the city is all styles, and the film is a lot of styles of different things – there’s romantic bits, there’s melodramatic bits, there’s almost hideous, almost horror bits, and people say, ‘How do you balance all those things?’ You don’t, you just put them in because that’s what the city is like. And it’s the same with the music. He just did that, he just uses all these different elements in it. He’s got sitar in it at one moment, and the next moment it sounds like Beyonce and Jay-Z, it sounds like their stuff suddenly, so you’ve got this huge mixer going on, and I love that.
__________________________________________________ _

Danny Boyle is my favorite director from now :yes: :mrgreen:

thilak4life
10th December 2008, 11:42 PM
Apart from that Beyonce mention (quite profane and nasty to a Rehman fan), I love how Danny articulates Rahman's music here.

Scale
11th December 2008, 12:03 AM
[tscii:ef866d9205]
thilak4life,

Not really >it sounds like their stuff suddenly, so you’ve got this huge mixer going on...<<<

I love the way how Danny pulled it from the interviewer: The discussion initiated here

MoviesOnline: At the screening, it was so loud that it actually shook the seats. They said they could not lower the volume because it was set to your specifications.

DANNY BOYLE: Excellent.

MoviesOnline: Why is the sound like that so important to you, and how will you enforce it in regular movie theatres?

DANNY BOYLE: You can’t sadly. Seventy percent of a movie – I mean, everybody raves on about cinematographers and all that kind of stuff, but seventy percent of a movie is sound. You watch any movie without sound and you’re finished, virtually none of them survive. That’s what’s extraordinary about Wall-E, you know the first half of Wall-E which is virtually a silent movie, they are the geniuses and they can get away with it for about an hour. Forget it, without sound you’re lost, so it’s very important. But it’s also in this case, music in Indian films are very – I love the way the music is much more upfront, it’s much more passionate and declared, whereas we tend to hide music. It kind of creeps in. You’re not aware of it at the beginning and it’s floating around, and then it jumps on it. Indian music is like, here’s the music everyone – da-da-da-da, it’s there and I love that. And I said to Rahman, the guy who did the music for us, I said, ‘The one thing I promise you is I’ll mix it upfront, whatever you produce for us, I promise it will be upfront like that.’

MoviesOnline: Is it okay with you if I get the DVD and make it a little bit lower?

DANNY BOYLE: You won’t be able to on the DVD. I can preset levels on that. :lol:

MoviesOnline: Where did you get that incredible music?

indha oru ? podhum. Danny :thumbsup: go...go... AR!
[/tscii:ef866d9205]

thilak4life
11th December 2008, 12:12 AM
Scale,

Of course, I got the context.

But I'm sorry, Beyonce is a talentless git who is an excuse for a R&B artist. So when it comes to being mentioned anywhere in a descipt of one of my favorite composers, I'm offended. Especially when it comes to Rehman, I consider that sacrilege. :P

Wibha
11th December 2008, 09:37 AM

nerd :- ARR concert in LA? :o enniki? eppo? enga?... details pls :)

Nerd
11th December 2008, 09:46 AM
Wibhs,
The thing is all the five *nominated (for oscar)* songs will be performed live at the kodak center in the Oscar awards ceremony. That was what I meant. If Jai Ho gets a nomination, ARR with his orchestra and singers will be performing in the Kodak theater in Feb' 09 :2thumbsup:

Wibha
11th December 2008, 09:55 AM
:oops: i didn't think about that :)

and jai ho is my favorite :redjump: :bluejump:

is there ANY ARR concert anytime soon? :? :cry:

A.ANAND
11th December 2008, 11:00 AM
obama-ve amarican president agumbothu,namma a.r.rahman-nukku oscar award win pannarathula achiriyam onnum illa!

anything can happen! :D the time is changing now! :thumbsup:

A.ANAND
11th December 2008, 12:44 PM
Slumdog Millionaire to release in India

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2008/dec/10slumdog-millionaire-to-release-in-india.htm

ajaybaskar
11th December 2008, 01:55 PM
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2008/12/who-will-be-nominated-for-best-score.html

A.ANAND
11th December 2008, 02:41 PM
Slumdog Millionaire Music Review

http://www.videoshour.com/slumdog-millionaire-music-review/

A.ANAND
11th December 2008, 07:54 PM
Breaking: ARR gets Golden Globe nomination

For Best score

Misses Best song

souce:arrfansygps

thilak4life
11th December 2008, 08:30 PM
Great great news! :thumbsup:

It's much more difficult to get a nomination for best score. :clap:

SoftSword
11th December 2008, 08:35 PM
wat is this golden globe al abt?

thilak4life
11th December 2008, 08:38 PM
The Golden Globe Awards are given annually, during a formal ceremony and dinner, telecast to more than 150 countries world-wide, to recognize outstanding achievements in the entertainment industry, both domestic and foreign, and to focus wide public attention upon the best in motion pictures and television. The awards have enabled the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), to donate millions of dollars to entertainment-related charities, as well as funding scholarships and other programs for future film and television professionals. The ceremony forms a major part of the film industry's "awards season", which culminates each year with the Oscars and the Screen Actors Guild Awards.[1]
The broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards generally ranks as the third most-watched awards show each year, behind only the Oscars and the Grammy Awards. Film studios solicit support from HFPA members and mention the nominations and awards in their advertisements.
The Golden Globes are awarded every January, based on votes from around ninety (as of 2008), international journalists living in Hollywood and affiliated with media outside of the United States. Unlike the Academy Awards, for which the eligibility period begins January 1, the eligibility period for the Golden Globe Awards begins October 1. Unlike the Oscars, the Grammys and the Emmy Awards, the Golden Globe Awards is one of two major Hollywood awards ceremonies, the other being the Screen Actors Guild Awards, that does not have a regular host; there is a different presenter every year, who introduces the ceremony at the beginning of the broadcast. Meryl Streep, Angela Lansbury and Jack Nicholson hold the record for the most Golden Globe wins with six each. Jack Lemmon holds the record for most nominations with twenty-two and Meryl Streep is second with twenty-one. However, including special awards, such as the Henrietta Award - World Film Favorite Actor/Actress or Cecil B. DeMille Award, Barbra Streisand would win with 11 awards and behind her, Jack Nicholson, with seven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Globe_Award

A simple wiki check would give a hint...

lancelot
11th December 2008, 10:48 PM
66th Annual Golden Globe Awards - Nominations

Best Motion Picture - Drama
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Frost/Nixon (2008)
The Reader (2008)
Revolutionary Road (2008)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Best Director - Motion Picture
Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
Stephen Daldry for The Reader (2008)
David Fincher for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Ron Howard for Frost/Nixon (2008)
Sam Mendes for Revolutionary Road (2008)

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Eric Roth, Robin Swicord
Doubt (2008): John Patrick Shanley
Frost/Nixon (2008): Peter Morgan
The Reader (2008): David Hare
Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Simon Beaufoy

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Changeling (2008): Clint Eastwood
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Alexandre Desplat
Defiance (2008): James Newton Howard
Frost/Nixon (2008): Hans Zimmer
Slumdog Millionaire (2008): A.R. Rahman

I actually consider the Golden Globe to be a better award than the Oscar, i always find the Academy getting something wrong (that's just my opinion). The biggest mistake to date being, Martin Scorsese not winning best director for Raging Bull.

ARR's nomination is for Best Original Score means that, the Globe appreciates the whole album it self rather than a single song (yes, it would have been great if he was nominated for Best Original Song as well). Nonetheless, we need to also consider the fact that its his first major Hollywood production, and a Golden Globe nomination it self is a great achievement. Hats off to my hero, to be nominated next to the likes of Clint Eastwood, Alexandre Desplat, James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer is no small feat.

Winners to be announced on Sunday, January 11th
http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2009/globes

hehe
:D

natha1729
11th December 2008, 11:57 PM
best song? Rahman has not yet given a smart song for international audience. too many chances - Bombay D, LOTR, SDM, that is way too much opportunity and not deliver one song that has a personality like money for nothing or a billie jean. chaiyya chaiyya? gimme a break. rahman has to go beyond that to be proud of a international hit. 99% of his songs are preppy and for the younger age group. Jai Ho met the standards, but it did not have the thembu, man. no thembu, no charisma, no backbone, no surprises. He needs some personality in the smartest possible structure for global audience. Rahman is innovative, now almost all American pop hits take after Thee Thee thithikkum thee or Konjum Nilavu type ideas but they are tight knit songs, there is a difference between Indian and West, they are more about style than content in the optimum package.... Ella Pugazhum Oruvan Oruvanukku is one that shows his international potential. Rahman can do it!!!!

natha1729
11th December 2008, 11:59 PM
however, best original score, yes Rahman has done appropriate score for the movie, it sounds new!

Yathu
12th December 2008, 01:31 AM
Wow a Golden Globe nomination and potential Oscars nominations! If ARR wins a Golden Globe, its a good indication for winning an Oscar too! ARR is well and truly on the global stage. :D

I'm so proud. :notworthy: :D

Nerd
12th December 2008, 03:28 AM
Wow! Awesome :clap:

m_23_bayarea
12th December 2008, 03:37 AM
I PRAY he wins the Golden Globe! This will be another hugeee milestone for ARR! :D :D :D

Thalafanz
12th December 2008, 06:06 AM
:bluejump: Great news. All the very Best ARR sir :redjump:

directhit
12th December 2008, 06:26 AM
woww :redjump: :bluejump: :cool2:

littlemaster1982
12th December 2008, 06:51 AM
Pullarikkudhu :notworthy: :notworthy: :redjump: :redjump:

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 09:38 AM
:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :swinghead: :swinghead: :clap: :clap:

crajkumar_be
12th December 2008, 09:39 AM
:yes: :cool2:

Wibha
12th December 2008, 09:58 AM
OMG :redjump: :bluejump:

my friend is attending the Goldent Globes :cry2: :cry2: :cry:

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 10:43 AM
indian media itha kandukkave mattarangga! :cry:

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 11:05 AM
A.R. Rahman wins Golden Globe nomination

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200812120924.htm

ajithfederer
12th December 2008, 11:07 AM
:2thumbsup: :clap: :cool2:

SoftSword
12th December 2008, 11:28 AM
sify carries an article on this...

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 11:42 AM
AR Rahman wins Golden Globe nomination for Slumdog...

IANS | Friday, 12 December , 2008, 10:18

Noted Indian music director A.R. Rahman has won a Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Score for his music in British director Danny Boyle's uplifting underdog tale Slumdog Millionaire.

The film has also earned three other nominations for Best Picture-Drama, Best Director for Boyle and Best Screenplay for Simon Beaufoy for the 2008 Golden Globe Awards given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

The film tells the heart warming story of an 18-year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai who goes on to win a staggering Rs.20 million ($420,000) on India's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? game show.

Earlier this week, Slumdog Millionaire won two awards from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association - Best Director for Boyle and Best Music for Rahman. It also won the runner-up prize for Best Cinematography for Anthony Dod Mantle.

The film, set and shot in Mumbai, has also won the Best Cinematography prize from The New York Film Critics' Circle and earned six Critics Choice Award nominations for Picture, Director (Boyle), Writer (Simon Beaufoy), Young Actor (Dev Patel), Composer (Rahman), and Song (Jai Ho).

Currently playing in several major cities, Slumdog Millionaire will open in 87 additional theaters across North America Friday and bring its total theatre count to 165.

New markets where the film will debut this weekend include New Jersey, Connecticut, Ohio, Houston, Austin, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Ann Arbor, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, St. Louis, Kansas City, Louisville, New Orleans, Portland, Honolulu and Sacramento.

P_R
12th December 2008, 11:46 AM
Great News. :clap:

Haven't listened to his work. Only recently heard about it from LM and Bala.

Hope he wins :thumbsup:

vnkatkumar
12th December 2008, 12:44 PM
I just heard that news from this site i believe they are even coming out with a review for it as they have heard the original version not that it matters as it has already made it to the Golden Globes

http://southside.in/buzz_details.php?buzz_id=102

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 03:33 PM
[tscii:351416f239]A.R. Rahman nominated for Golden Globe
Prasanna Singh [December 12, 2008, 1:35:21 PM]

HOT NEWS: For his brilliant work in Slumdog Millionaire, musical maestro A.R. Rahman has been nominated for Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score. Now, that is some news! It is an honour for all Indians!

Golden Globe is one of the prestigious awards of Hollywood, the pioneers in movie industry, which carries a great value. In fact, it is considered as an indicator to the Oscar winners, as a Golden Award winner for a given year mostly ends up with the year’s Oscar too! It is heartening to see A.R. Rahman getting nominated for this prestigious award!

Slumdog Millionaire is a film based on the interesting novel “Q and A” by Vikas Swarup. Eminent British screenwriter Simon Beaufoy, who wrote the screenplay of The Full Monty and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, has adapted this beautiful novel into a film script. Produced by British film production companies and directed by Danny Boyle but shot in India with Indian actors, the film traces the life of an impoverished slum-dweller Jamal, who tries his luck at “Kaun Banega Crorepathi” and eventually wins it! But since he has lived in abject poverty all his life and has no formal education, many suspect that he has cheated. But when Jamal explains how he managed to deduce the answers through the experiences he had in his life, a gripping tale unfolds.

This is not the first international assignment for A.R. Rahman: he has already composed for Heaven and Earth, a Chinese film; Shekar Kapur’s Elizabeth; and musicals Bombay Dreams and The Lord of the Rings.

http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/AR_Rahman_nominated_for_Golden_Globe_20618.html[/tscii:351416f239]

ajaybaskar
12th December 2008, 04:00 PM
:cry:

littlemaster1982
12th December 2008, 04:05 PM
Ajay :huh:

ajaybaskar
12th December 2008, 04:12 PM
Ananda Kanneer!!!!

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 04:32 PM
Ananda Kanneer!!!!
:cool2: :cool2: :)

ajaybaskar
12th December 2008, 04:36 PM
Sandhosha kanneerae.... :lol:

ajaybaskar
12th December 2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.goldenglobes.org/news/id/104

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 04:45 PM
Rahman nominated for Golden Globe

http://www.screenindia.com/news/rahman-nominated-for-golden-globe/397684/

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 04:46 PM
A.R Rahman pays tribute to the bleeding city

Shikha Bachus
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 at 1534 hrs IST

A.R Rahman pays tribute to the bleeding city

A.R Rahman is a name that is synonymous with excellence in music and
he is breaking new grounds with his music each time. With the
nomination `Slumdog Millionaire' for the Golden Globes, Rahman has
added yet another feather on his cap. At a recent launch of a new
music collection in collaboration with Nokia, Rahman expressed his
vision to connect India through music.

"In today's time a song like `Jiya Se Jiya' becomes even more
relevant as it gives the message of embracing everyone irrespective
of their region, religion or language," he added.

Expressing his condolences for the victims of the Mumbai attack, he
saluted all the peace keepers who helped in saving the bleeding city.
For A.R Rahman, art is like medicine in these trying times.

He felt the need to escape from the city to change his frame of mind
and the nomination of `Slumdog Millionaire' for the Golden Globes has
been the only good news that comes his way as he lost a co-worker to
the terror attack.

Rahman hopes to bring a smile back on the faces of the people with
this album and claims he would have been jumping had it not been for
the tragedy. The album also includes tracks from Mann Chandre, Kural,
Mylapore Blues and Mosquito.

ajaybaskar
12th December 2008, 04:46 PM
This is no mean achievement for a musician in India with the minimum resources available. Really its a heart warming thing to see ARR's name featuring in the nominations. Running short of words....

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 04:57 PM
A.R Rahman nominated for Golden Globes

http://www.india.com/entertainment/movies/a_r_rahman_nominated_golden_globes_1914

A.ANAND
12th December 2008, 04:58 PM
entha oru indian cinema md's adaiyatha vetri namma thalaivar vetri!speechless!

ajaybaskar
12th December 2008, 05:43 PM
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?tt1010048

#170 for SDM

littlemaster1982
12th December 2008, 05:52 PM
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?tt1010048

#170 for SDM

:shock: Last when I saw, it was in 237th place. Didn't expect it to climb up thus far.

Can't wait till Jan 23 :|

sat_srini
13th December 2008, 08:02 AM
An Exclusive A.R. Rahman Interview (Slumdog Millionaire)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZj9Tsgo_o

MADDY
13th December 2008, 06:38 PM
I PRAY he wins the Golden Globe! This will be another hugeee milestone for ARR! :D :D :D

no, this will be the biggest of all, ofcourse, only oscars are bigger than this 8-) ......very interesting days ahead for thalaivar fans :)

villan007
13th December 2008, 09:00 PM

no, this will be the biggest of all, ofcourse, only oscars are bigger than this 8-) ......very interesting days ahead for thalaivar fans :)

:redjump: :redjump:

ajaybaskar
14th December 2008, 10:49 AM
http://www.efilmcritic.com/feature.php?feature=2629

ajaybaskar
14th December 2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/hear-hear/397887/

A.ANAND
14th December 2008, 04:28 PM
Danny Boyle loved India, loved Mumbai: A R Rahman

IANS | Sunday, 14 December , 2008, 13:49

Allah Rakha Rahman has composed music for a London West End musical, scored for a Chinese film, conducted the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and created tunes for more than 100 Indian films. But composing music for British director Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire was a new challenge.

Boyle wanted a score with energy and an edge for his film about the travails of an 18-year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai who goes on to win a staggering Rs 20 million on India's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? game show.

But there was a twist. The perfectionist Rahman was given just three weeks to plan and execute the score.

"We had met and talked about it for about two months. But I had to finish it quickly as Boyle wanted to start mixing the film by August," said Rahman.

"It's probably one-fifth of the time I normally take. For one thing, a normal film has about 150 cues. But in this one there were only 17-18 cues for me. Boyle uses music very less but very efficiently."

Rahman's task was made easier by the easygoing nature of the director. "I have worked with different people. Most Westerners are generally reserved. But Boyle was different - like a friend, very helpful. It was like working for Mani Ratnam, Rakeysh (Omprakash Mehra). He was very excited about India. He loved India. He loved Mumbai. He loved everything," says the maestro.

The time at hand may have been much less than the composer is used to, but that fact appears to have had no effect on the final score. Slumdog Millionaire music is already attracting the Oscar buzz.

It has just picked up an award - Best Score of the Year from the LA Film Critics Association. Rahman also received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Score and two Critics Choice nominations - Best Score and Best Song for Jai Ho.

The score was lent extra momentum by the presence of Mathangi Maya Arulpragasam, better known as 31-year-old dance music phenomenon M.I.A. Though she herself was born in London, M.I.A.'s parents are Sri Lankan Tamilians, a connection that informed and enhanced the film's score.

Rahman says: "...It (the South Asian connection) did have an impact. She is very young. Very futurist. Knew how to take the film forward. I knew her work. She knew my work and that helped."

"She asked me, 'Why don't you stop doing sentimental stuff?' That's how the music acquired that edgy feeling, that you wanted to fly away from it. She was definitely an inspiration."

Though Indian audiences will have to wait till January to see the film, the awards have already started pouring in. The US' National Board of Review has named Slumdog Millionaire the best film of 2008, while the film bagged the 'Best British Independent Film' prize at the British Independent Film Awards.

With honours coming in thick and fast, Rahman has a relatively sedate reaction to the prospect of an Indian composer achieving a first - an Academy Award (or even nomination) for music.

"I don't know whether it excites me personally. But a small-budget film getting the kind of recognition it is getting certainly makes you feel good."

A R Rahman is already well known in the West, but the accolades the film and his score are gathering should lead to greater prominence for this soft-spoken genius.

"In a way it would help me to build a bridge with my Western listeners. It would lend to a better appreciation of my music in the West."

ajaybaskar
14th December 2008, 09:35 PM
[tscii:77a3a5c116]Maestro’s Masterpiece

A R Rahman’s buoyant soundtrack of Slumdog Millionaire, nominated for the Golden Globe awards, is already winning accolades from critics

Last week, A R Rahman was at a party in Los Angeles where he met three A-list Hollywood film composers - Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer and Howard Shore.

“It was a great honour,” Rahman later said from Los Angeles, adding that it was Subhash Ghai who had predicted that one day he would compose music for a Hollywood film.

It is ironic that even though Rahman is among the top 25 selling artists in the world, he has yet to gain notoriety in Hollywood. His work has featured in international projects - from Bombay Dreams to The Lord of Rings and his music has appeared in a couple of Hollywood films - Inside Man and Lord of War, but he is still not known in North America.

All of that is going to change with Rahman’s stunning, buoyant soundtrack of Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire, which is already winning accolades and awards from critics.

MTV’s Kurt Loder wrote the following about the Slumdog Millionaire’s music: “The propulsive score, by Bollywood soundtrack auteur A R Rahman, is hip-hop fusion of a very up-to-date kind.”

Slumdog Millionaire has earned four Golden Globe nominations - including one for Rahman’s soundtrack. He also has been nominated by critics from Los Angeles, for the score and for the upbeat song Jai Ho, featuring Sukhwinder Singh and others. The National Board of Review and critics in Washington DC have also recognised Slumdog Millionaire in their annual awards. And now there is an Oscar buzz for the film, Boyle and also Rahman.

Just last week, I saw Boyle at a party for Slumdog Millionaire. “It will be nice if India wins an Oscar,” he said to me, referring to Rahman’s potential to win the golden statue.

“Let’s hope” Rahman later said, laughing, sounding embarrassed. Given the recent attacks on Mumbai, Slumdog Millionaire, is a perfect film to see, he said, adding, “Danny is almost like an ambassador for India.”

Rahman was thrilled about the opportunity to work on the project. “I am rediscovering myself doing this kind of film, and when you work with a new director, there are new challenges, new expectations.”

And he seemed delighted because the Slumdog Millionaire’s soundtrack could pave the way for people to discover more of his music. “If they love a piece of work, then they want to follow the composer,” he said about American critics and audience. “This could be the biggest bridge, connecting them to all my work.”

Boyle knew Rahman’s music from films such as Taal and Rang De Basanti. “That was a good starting point,” Rahman said. “After I started the work, I got a lot of feedback from him and then it became something else. I was surprised to hear the whole soundtrack in the end which is quite different from what I have ever done.”

“It’s younger, it’s more today and contemporary and it’s completely taking risks,” he said about the soundtrack which includes the song Ringa, Ringa – Rahman’s homage to Choli Ke Peeche, featuring the voices of Alka Yagnik and Ila Arun. “It’s very edgy, hard kind of music and it will make you sit up. Especially the composition Mausam & Escape and the song O…Saya (Rahman sings with MIA). If you are driving, it will definitely make you drive faster.”

In Bollywood films Rahman often gets 150 to 200 music cues. Jodha Akbar, for instance had music in every scene, he said. But Boyle highlighted sections of the film which required Rahman’s music. “So I could put all my energy into that, rather than spreading my energy,” he said, adding that the entire soundtrack was produced in mere three weeks.

Earlier, in another interview, Boyle told me that he was impressed by the role of music in Bollywood films. “I particularly like the way the music is mixed in Bollywood films,” he said. “It is right in front. In the west we try to hide it.”

“Danny took inspiration from Indian films,” Rahman said. “The music plays a kind of character. When somebody gets angry, we hear thadain (he made the loud sound). In this he wanted the level of the music to be very high.”

[/tscii:77a3a5c116]

baba88
15th December 2008, 12:17 AM
Q: You had collaborated with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan 12 years ago. Are there more
collaborations in the offing?
A:
I recently collaborated with this hip-hop artist called M.I.A. She is
very big in the IS and we did the entire track together for OSaya from Slumdog
Millionaire. The film is going to the Oscars. I don't know if it will get
shortlisted, but 20th Century Fox is sending the M.I.A. track and another one
called Jai Ho.

natha1729
15th December 2008, 12:56 AM
[tscii:eceb921cbb]MTV’s Kurt Loder wrote the following about the Slumdog Millionaire’s music: “The propulsive score, by Bollywood soundtrack auteur A R Rahman, is hip-hop fusion of a very up-to-date kind.” Upto date but not avante garde... as far as Jai Ho goes, but bg score is avante garde i think [/tscii:eceb921cbb]

A.ANAND
15th December 2008, 01:04 PM
'Slumdog,' 'Happy' top Satellite nods
International Press Academy awards were given Dec. 14
By Gregg Kilday

Dec 15, 2008, 01:00 AM ET

"Happy-Go-Lucky"

"Slumdog Millionaire" was named best motion picture drama and "Happy-Go-Lucky" was named best motion picture comedy or musical at the 13th annual Satellite Awards, presented Sunday at the InterContinental Hotel in Century City.

The awards, voted by the International Press Academy, also chose "Slumdog's" Danny Boyle as best director and the film's composer A.R. Rahman for his score. "Happy-Go-Lucky's" Sally Hawkins was hailed as best actress in a comedy or musical.

A.ANAND
16th December 2008, 07:13 AM
CADILLAC, SLUMDOG + BEES ARE TRIPLE THREATS AT BLACK REEL AWARDS

CADILLAC RECORDS, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES have been named the big winners at this year's (08) Black Reel Awards in America.
Both films claimed three big honours as the winners were announced on Monday morning (15Dec08).
Cadillac Records - the story of legendary blues label Chess - was named Best Film, while its cast claimed the Best Ensemble prize and Jeffrey Wright picked up the Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Muddy Waters.
Slumdog Millionaire's Dev Patel was named Best Actor and Best Breakthrough Performance, and Queen Latifah landed the Best Actress crown for The Secret Life of Bees.
The full list of winners is:
Best Film - Cadillac Records
Best Ensemble - Cadillac Records
Best Soundtrack - Slumdog Millionaire

A.ANAND
16th December 2008, 07:20 AM
CADILLAC, SLUMDOG + BEES ARE TRIPLE THREATS AT BLACK REEL AWARDS

CADILLAC RECORDS, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES have been named the big winners at this year's (08) Black Reel Awards in America.
Both films claimed three big honours as the winners were announced on Monday morning (15Dec08).
Cadillac Records - the story of legendary blues label Chess - was named Best Film, while its cast claimed the Best Ensemble prize and Jeffrey Wright picked up the Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Muddy Waters.
Slumdog Millionaire's Dev Patel was named Best Actor and Best Breakthrough Performance, and Queen Latifah landed the Best Actress crown for The Secret Life of Bees.
The full list of winners is:
Best Film - Cadillac Records
Best Ensemble - Cadillac Records
Best Soundtrack - Slumdog Millionaire

A.ANAND
16th December 2008, 07:24 AM
o saya song video

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/files/2008/12/slumdog-million.html

A.ANAND
16th December 2008, 09:07 AM
Exclusive Interview: A.R. Rahman

December 15 2008 11:00 PST

He is one of the most successful artists of all time! A.R. Rahman continues to redefine contemporary Indian music. Named the 'Mozart of Madras' by Time Magazine, A.R. Rahman has sold over 100 albums. A. R. Rahman shared his thoughts on his work for, 'Slumdog Millionaire'. A film that A.R. Rahman is nominated for at the 66th Golden Globe awards in the 'Best Original Score- Motion Picture' category. He also informed us about his upcoming projects and his feeling in regards to the Mumbai attacks. Read the Interview by Anita Chatterjee below.

DH! It's a pleasure to interview you, as always you are working on some exciting projects, tell us about them.

Rahman: Right now I just finished 'Ghajini', and now I am waiting for the release of my Nokia album called 'Connection'.

DH! You've worked on some amazing projects this year. What would you consider to be some of your personal favorites?

Rahman: My biggest I would say is establishing the KM music conservatory (Rahman's institution that teaches tech savvy sound engineers the basics of composing and importance of technology and the basics of sound recording in Chennai.) That is in terms of my projects apart from movies. Some great movies I have worked on this year are, 'Jodhaa Akbar', 'Ada' and 'Slumdog Millionaire' to top it off. It's been a great year, however the end of the year was rough as my close friend and sound engineer, H. Sridhar passed away and of course the Mumbai attacks.

DH! What are your thoughts on the Mumbai Attacks?

Rahman: I was recording a song that day and I felt completely destroyed creatively and mentally.

DH! How did you get involved with 'Slumdog Millionaire'?

Rahman: I suddenly got a call from Danny( Danny Boyle) and I said yes, he sent me a DVD of the film and I sent him my ideas.

DH! You did an amazing job capturing the essence of each scene in the movie through your music. Was it this a difficult task?

Rahman: Danny works in a way that music highlights every moment of his film, so that made things a whole lot easier.

DH! Was it your idea to work with M.I.A ?

Rahman: No, it was Danny's, but I knew who she was and I looked forward to working with her.

DH! What was it like to work with M.I.A?

Rahman: It was fun, she is so energetic and full of ideas and she is also an amazing visionary.

DH! There was a lot of buzz about your recreation of 'Choli Ki Peeche', in the film. What made you bring a version of this song back?

Rahman: I needed to capture early nineties feel and this song did it.

DH! : You have worked on other projects in the west. How was your experience working on 'Slumdog Millionaire' compared to the rest?

Rahman: This was easier because it was more about the Indian culture and I just had to create certain sounds that were also friendly for western audiences. The first film I worked on, The Golden Age had nothing Indian about it. That was my first major western project but it's completely different from 'Slumdog Millionaire'.

DH!: What was it like working with Danny Boyle and his team?

Rahman: I was inspired when I met Danny's team, the team really pushed creativity.

DH! Would you like to do more collaborations in the west?

Rahman: Well I have met a lot of people in the U.S. and I would probably want to collaborate with Stevie Wonder.

DH! Who do you want to collaborate with in India?

Rahman: In India I am interested in new discoveries of talent.

DH! Do you have a message you would like to send out to our readers?

Rahman: Thank you for all the love and support and always purchase the original CD!

http://www.desihits.com/blog/article/exclusive-interview-ar-rahman-20081215/

lancelot
16th December 2008, 09:18 AM
o saya song video

the video is just like i imagined it, kids running through the slums, wonderful!

the above link does not only contain the video, it even has a very interesting read... dont miss it... read the whole thing

hehe

thamizhvaanan
16th December 2008, 09:18 AM
[tscii:7e97fe4adb]
o saya song video

From the above page:

Ever since winning the People's Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival in September, "Slumdog Millionaire" has been racking up critical praise, commercial credo and a whole collection of best picture honors from various Oscar precursors. But should "Slumdog" make it into the best picture field at the Oscars, as is now considered to be a given, it will likely be pitted against films that are much bigger-scale cinematic achievements including, perhaps, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and/or "The Dark Knight." Consequently, for "Slumdog" to actually win at the Oscars, it is going to have to take on these films where they're strongest: in the the technical categories.

Fox Searchlight, which has handled the distribution of "Slumdog Millionaire," knows this challenge well. In recent years, it guided "Little Miss Sunshine" (2006) and "Juno" (2007) to multiple nominations, including best picture, but without support from the Academy's technical branches both films were able to come only to the brink of the promised land of a win. The third time, though, may prove be the charm. It would be far-fetched to think that "Slumdog" can win many of the categories celebrating below-the-line achievements, but unlike the first two Searchlight films it is actually a viable contender to win two or three, and that could well be enough to do the trick.

Pundits have been zeroing in on best cinematography, best film editing, best original score and best original song as the categories in which the film stands the strongest chance of garnering a nomination and possibly a win. It's probably not a coincidence, therefore, that the studio recently hosted an evening called "The Music and Vision of 'Slumdog Millionaire' " that featured a screening of the film followed by a Q&A in which director Danny Boyle was joined by cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle ("The Last King of Scotland"), editor Chris Dickens ("Hot Fuzz") and composer A.R. Rahman ("Water").

A Fox Searchlight spokesman told me, "The technical credits of the film have been a recurring topic at Q&As this season, and with all of these individuals in town it provided a great opportunity to devote a full evening to the discussion of what went into making the film."

A near-capacity crowd packed the historic, 1,200-seat Wadsworth Theatre in West L.A. for the event, including — and this is key — a considerable number of members of the editors, cinematographers, musicians and sound editors guilds. Both the film and Q&A were followed by standing ovations.

So does "Slumdog" deserve to be recognized for its technical achievements? That's a question that voters will have to decide for themselves, but the gathered talent gave them plenty to think about.

Cinematography Mantle said, "We went to India, saw the slums and walked them slowly to learn their extraordinary physicality. I wanted a vision that moved at the pace of our protagonist Jamal, but also captured the vibrancy of the people of India through mixed formats and cameras." He mixed up film stocks and used digital high-resolution cameras and Steadicam technology to (a) minimize his presence, (b) make the actors more comfortable and (c) be able to navigate the cramped spaces in which much of the film was shot.

(won New York Film Critics Circle, New York Film Critics Online; runner-up at Los Angeles Film Critics Assn.; nominated for still-TBD British Independent Film Award, still-TBD Chicago Film Critics Assn., still-TBD St. Louis Gateway Film Critics Assn.)

Film Editing Unlike most editors, Dickens was actually part of not only the post-production, but the pre-production, as well. He joined Boyle in India during location scouting so that he could get an on-the-ground feel for the people and energy of Mumbai and eventually "harness that energy through the beautiful images Danny and Anthony came up with."

(won Boston Society of Film Critics; nominated for Satellite Award)

Original Score Rahman, who has scored over 100 films in India (usually in the Bollywood tradition) and is one of the nation's most celebrated artists, didn't want a score made up of conventional melodies. Rather, he wanted it "to be like a series of songs, where certain moments queue sometimes unbearable emotions but then uplift like a bird flying away. The idea was to have something as kinetic as the streets of Mumbai."

(won Los Angeles Film Critics Assn., New York Film Critics Online, Satellite Award; nominated for still-TBD Golden Globe, still-TBD Chicago Film Critics Assn.)

Original Song Rahman recruited his British-Sri Lankan friend Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam — better known as M.I.A., the Grammy-nominated artist best known for the record "Paper Planes" who was recently the subject of a Los Angeles Times profile) — to collaborate with him on the song "O ... Saya," as well as the film's closing, Bollywood-style number "Jai Ho," which means "Hooray!" in Hindi and is attracting the most attention of all.

("Jai Ho" nominated for Satellite Award, still-TBD Broadcast Film Critics Assn.)[/tscii:7e97fe4adb]

directhit
16th December 2008, 09:20 AM
DH = desihits aa :oops: naan eppadaa thalaivara interview pannennu yosichu kozhambitten :P

directhit
16th December 2008, 09:23 AM
[tscii:6c47f97155]
o saya song video

From the above page:

Ever since winning the People's Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival in September, "Slumdog Millionaire" has been racking up critical praise, commercial credo and a whole collection of best picture honors from various Oscar precursors. But should "Slumdog" make it into the best picture field at the Oscars, as is now considered to be a given, it will likely be pitted against films that are much bigger-scale cinematic achievements including, perhaps, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and/or "The Dark Knight." Consequently, for "Slumdog" to actually win at the Oscars, it is going to have to take on these films where they're strongest: in the the technical categories.

Fox Searchlight, which has handled the distribution of "Slumdog Millionaire," knows this challenge well. In recent years, it guided "Little Miss Sunshine" (2006) and "Juno" (2007) to multiple nominations, including best picture, but without support from the Academy's technical branches both films were able to come only to the brink of the promised land of a win. The third time, though, may prove be the charm. It would be far-fetched to think that "Slumdog" can win many of the categories celebrating below-the-line achievements, but unlike the first two Searchlight films it is actually a viable contender to win two or three, and that could well be enough to do the trick.

Pundits have been zeroing in on best cinematography, best film editing, best original score and best original song as the categories in which the film stands the strongest chance of garnering a nomination and possibly a win. It's probably not a coincidence, therefore, that the studio recently hosted an evening called "The Music and Vision of 'Slumdog Millionaire' " that featured a screening of the film followed by a Q&A in which director Danny Boyle was joined by cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle ("The Last King of Scotland"), editor Chris Dickens ("Hot Fuzz") and composer A.R. Rahman ("Water").

A Fox Searchlight spokesman told me, "The technical credits of the film have been a recurring topic at Q&As this season, and with all of these individuals in town it provided a great opportunity to devote a full evening to the discussion of what went into making the film."

A near-capacity crowd packed the historic, 1,200-seat Wadsworth Theatre in West L.A. for the event, including — and this is key — a considerable number of members of the editors, cinematographers, musicians and sound editors guilds. Both the film and Q&A were followed by standing ovations.

So does "Slumdog" deserve to be recognized for its technical achievements? That's a question that voters will have to decide for themselves, but the gathered talent gave them plenty to think about.

Cinematography Mantle said, "We went to India, saw the slums and walked them slowly to learn their extraordinary physicality. I wanted a vision that moved at the pace of our protagonist Jamal, but also captured the vibrancy of the people of India through mixed formats and cameras." He mixed up film stocks and used digital high-resolution cameras and Steadicam technology to (a) minimize his presence, (b) make the actors more comfortable and (c) be able to navigate the cramped spaces in which much of the film was shot.

(won New York Film Critics Circle, New York Film Critics Online; runner-up at Los Angeles Film Critics Assn.; nominated for still-TBD British Independent Film Award, still-TBD Chicago Film Critics Assn., still-TBD St. Louis Gateway Film Critics Assn.)

Film Editing Unlike most editors, Dickens was actually part of not only the post-production, but the pre-production, as well. He joined Boyle in India during location scouting so that he could get an on-the-ground feel for the people and energy of Mumbai and eventually "harness that energy through the beautiful images Danny and Anthony came up with."

(won Boston Society of Film Critics; nominated for Satellite Award)

Original Score Rahman, who has scored over 100 films in India (usually in the Bollywood tradition) and is one of the nation's most celebrated artists, didn't want a score made up of conventional melodies. Rather, he wanted it "to be like a series of songs, where certain moments queue sometimes unbearable emotions but then uplift like a bird flying away. The idea was to have something as kinetic as the streets of Mumbai."

(won Los Angeles Film Critics Assn., New York Film Critics Online, Satellite Award; nominated for still-TBD Golden Globe, still-TBD Chicago Film Critics Assn.)

Original Song Rahman recruited his British-Sri Lankan friend Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam — better known as M.I.A., the Grammy-nominated artist best known for the record "Paper Planes" who was recently the subject of a Los Angeles Times profile) — to collaborate with him on the song "O ... Saya," as well as the film's closing, Bollywood-style number "Jai Ho," which means "Hooray!" in Hindi and is attracting the most attention of all.

("Jai Ho" nominated for Satellite Award, still-TBD Broadcast Film Critics Assn.)[/tscii:6c47f97155] :cool2: :redjump: :bluejump:

A.ANAND
16th December 2008, 09:33 AM
Ippadi oru success namma thalaiva-re ethir paatirukka mattaru. :D

lancelot
16th December 2008, 09:54 AM
Ippadi oru success namma thalaiva-re ethir paatirukka mattaru. :D
and i doubt the success of SM is over yet :)
hehe

sureshmehcnit
16th December 2008, 11:13 AM
Check you Rahman quotient

http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/2008/12/check-your-rahman-quotient.html

groucho070
16th December 2008, 01:19 PM
My brother sent me this. ARR and the Oscar front runners roundtable interview. Its in The Hollywood Reporter. Maybe you can get a link there, it has pix of him with the others.

Enjoy guys...

Oscar Roundtable: The composers
Dec 15, 2008, 09:00 PM ET

Film composers aren't exactly the most social creatures in Hollywood. But when five of this year's Oscar front-runners -- A.R. Rahman (Fox Searchlight's "Slumdog Millionaire"), Howard Shore (Miramax's "Doubt"), Danny Elfman (Focus Features' "Milk"), Alexandre Desplat (Paramount's "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button") and Jan Kaczmarek (Overture's "The Visitor") -- sat down recently with The Hollywood Reporter's Kevin Cassidy, they seized the opportunity for a frank, passionate discussion of the past, present and future of film music.

The Hollywood Reporter: Film is a collaborative art, but composers work in relative isolation. Is it strange to get together like this?

Jan Kaczmarek: We tend to socialize very little. Much less than writers or directors.

Danny Elfman: Any part of the industry really. In fact, directors and writers tend to seek each other out. God knows actors all seem to know each other. It is the weirdest field for sure.

Howard Shore: Let's change that.

Alexandre Desplat: We should set aside a week or so during the year and meet. Or at least try to ...

Shore: Like a retreat.

Elfman: Somewhere in the Himalayas.

Desplat: With a studio of course.

THR: If you had to name one score that has influenced your work the most, what would it be?

A.R. Rahman: (Vangelis') "Chariots of Fire," because it was all electronic and it was fascinating. I used to listen to orchestral scores, but this one was completely new. It interested me to get into synthesizers and explore the feeling and emotions (of electronic scores).

Kaczmarek: This needs a disclaimer: There are a number of great scores. But because I have to answer: "The Mission" by Ennio Morricone. If you ask why, I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm coming from a Catholic country and I prefer a certain amount of spiritual emotion or passion. I love ethnic elements and, for me, it was deeply moving -- and deeply moving is the ultimate compliment.

Shore: I would say Toru Takemitsu's work. Especially "Woman in the Dunes." His use of silence, I thought, was interesting. Takemitsu also did "Ran." He used music in an epic way. I think that I was interested in how other composers from different countries expressed their ideas in film.

Elfman: (1951's) "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Bernard Herrmann. Probably because of the age. A lot of the bigger influences have a lot to do with what age you were exposed to something. I must have been 12, and it was the first time that I became aware that there is a personality behind music. Until then, I just thought music rolled out of a machine. It was that movie that I noticed the music, and I noticed the name, and I realized that somebody did this. (After that) I started looking for Herrmann's name every time I would go to the movies.

THR: Do you ever listen to your past work and think, "I could have done that better"?

Shore: I try not to. It's too painful because, of course, you are always trying to rewrite music you've done. You are always trying to achieve something greater than what you've done. You're rarely ever satisfied.

THR: Rephrasing the question, do you ever think you really nailed it?

Shore: No. Never. I was at a screening of "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King," and I kept trying to rewrite it as I was watching it -- still trying to fix certain bars.

Desplat: I can't even play a CD of mine. I can't look back, because you remember how on that particular day you could have achieved something better, or how it was in the studio that day, or how the sound engineer wasn't there. I don't think a creator should look back -- not only for your work but for everything. Looking back captures your history, but you should continue to look forward.

Rahman: I go with what people like. It's very simple. Sometimes you work so hard on something, and they neglect it or end up ignoring it. When (a director) likes something, I ask, "Why did you like it?" But I feel the same (as Alexandre): I don't feel like listening to my stuff. I want to keep going forward.

THR: Can it help being on a schedule with such tight deadlines?

Elfman: I think this is critical when I talk to young composers. If you can not adapt to work under, sometimes, excruciating deadlines, then you really are not going to last in this industry -- because that is, most of the time, a reality. It's an exception if a movie has no particular time limit.

Desplat: Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I feel like I'm in a film noir, with my back up against the wall and there is a gun. But I have no gun.

THR: Do you respond well to that?

Elfman: I, for one, would never finish anything.

Kaczmarek: Constant revision would be the case without a deadline. So deadlines, in my case, are necessary as a motivating element. Somehow, we are all part of a natural selection since we function quite well at this.

Shore: I would be OK without the deadline. I like music and I could write music every day. I don't need a deadline. I enjoy the process.

THR: Does it ever feel like work?

Shore: Well ... no. It's part of you. At a certain point it feels like breathing. It's just a part of your life.

THR: What happens in a sequence when the story simply has to go from A to B? You could probably phone in that kind of music, and we've all seen movies where that happens. Is there ever a temptation to not give it your all on music that simply moves the action along?

Rahman: Sometimes -- but you love the film, so when you get into a film and you don't like parts of it, you have to think, "I love this," and score it beautifully.

Desplat: There is always a scene in a movie, when you look at the architecture of the movie, you think, "This will be hard" or, "This will be a piece of cake." You know where you will have your struggles. There are moments that will be technically more difficult and emotionally more difficult. You know you will have to spend more time on certain scenes.

THR: Fans of film music always appreciate it when the music is still interesting in those A-to-B type of sequences, and all of you are particularly good at that.

Kaczmarek: There is one modifying factor that we haven't mentioned: the collaboration with the director. Our own independent vision can be modified in both ways: It can make the process much nicer or easier, or it can be a painful one if you can not get to a common conclusion.

Elfman: Not to mention there is another part of the equation, and that's when sometimes you do the whole thing, and you think you've done pretty well, but then you find out the whole scene has been restructured and the music editor can't snip it up and make it work, and you have to approach it all over again.

Rahman: Yes -- it is a disaster. (Laughs.)

Desplat: Yes, because you always think that because there is a big amount of work, you have achieved as much as you could to perfection for that moment -- and then everything changes.

Shore: It's important to make films in a linear way. It's the most productive way to do them. You wouldn't start shooting a film if the script wasn't finished.

Elfman: It's a contemporary problem. Thirty, 40 years ago this wouldn't have happened. It's something we deal with now that our predecessors didn't have to. They didn't have to reconstruct things in the eleventh hour the way they do now.

Shore: It's a good discussion point, because here is a group of composers sitting here saying that the best way to make good films -- which is what we all want to do -- is to allow that the postproduction process be linear. It's like what Danny said: Films used to be made like that, and look at all the great films that were made.

Rahman: Another thing is temp music. (Directors) have temp music from CDs and they get used to it, and then they expect you to reproduce it. But when the music is different, then you have like four or five people saying, "No, it's not the same." I've come across that, and it's frustrating. I think it's good to work with a director from the beginning and talk about themes and get that in his head like the old days.

THR: Do all composers generally hate temp music?

Desplat: It depends on the director. If the director is loose, it's fine.

Shore: It's restrictive to the creative process. It's already focusing on a certain type of thing so you cannot go beyond. Certain directors will never use temp music. Scorsese will never use it. He doesn't understand why there would be music from another movie in his movie: "How can I watch my movie with music from this other movie in it?" How can you, in a genre film, ever achieve something better in the genre if you are just using genre music? It doesn't make sense.

Desplat: There is a great wisdom in that. Unfortunately, not widely accepted.

Shore: Yes, but here is a great forum to discuss these things. Yes we don't get together much, but some of these things are important to discuss in order to achieve something better in film than might be currently happening. These are some of the problems affecting the creative process. It's worth discussing. We should put it out there and say, "These things are important to us."

Rahman: It is a problem. The moment you hear temp music with the visual, it is limiting. I always ask them to give me a cut without the temp music, and then I finish the score and ask to hear the temp music just to see what they wanted. So that way my initial instinct is (unaffected), and then I compare the two.

Elfman: As you do lots of films you start to develop instincts. One of the things that I tried to develop is that when I see a film for the first time with a director and they're playing temp, I try to get a sense of, "Do they love this?" And if they really do, that's a signal for me to go in another direction, because you can sometimes tell when somebody is really in love with that (temp music), and if they are my radar will always be up for that.

THR: Do you like where film music is at now in its evolution?

Kaczmarek: Well there is this great era of composers that we always site, like Herrmann and (Erich) Korngold. But as much as I like bold strokes and the great scope of that era, it is, in a sense, useless today because we can't write that way. As much as I admire that craft, we are living in different times. There is a much more subtle language being used now.

Rahman: I am so much in love with scores that have great melodies, but nowadays if you have a great melody they say, "Oh, it's distracting from my film."

Shore: Film music is changing all the time. From year to year, the styles are changing, and frankly, they are all of interest. I find it an interesting, fascinating process seeing this art form evolve over a hundred years. I think this year is the 100th anniversary of film music. If you look at the history of it, and where we are in it, it's such a young art form steeped in music tradition. It started with classical music and then opera and then evolved into the great scores of the '30s, the experimentation of the '50s and '60s. It has just been an interesting process. Film music is a fascinating art form and there is still great work to be done. We have the benefit of all these great works of the past to build on, and there is a future ahead.

Desplat: The field is so wide open in front of us. That's why I like to create music for movies, because you can try anything.

Shore: Everything is possible. It's why I was interested in it in the beginning. I feel exactly the same (as then); I have the same energy about it, the same sense of searching for new ways to do things or new means of expression. That's why I mentioned the Takemitsu score -- that was very new at the time. I like the idea of freshness and newness with a visual art like film. Film's way of telling stories and using music in different ways is really fascinating, like the great group of composers here uses music in different ways. It's still a growing, vital art.

THR: At this point in your careers, what are your aspirations?

Kaczmarek: It's always a desire to touch the impossible, without naming it. This can be a movie or it can be a piece of work unrelated to film. But I'm still hungry for some experience, which I believe is ahead of me. It's like what Alexandre said, that we should look forward. No matter how satisfied or happy I was with my last piece I still desire the unknown.

Elfman: I don't think I've come anywhere close to anything that has made me happy. I'm still looking for my "Lawrence of Arabia." I want my "Godfather." I want my "Citizen Kane." That's always like a carrot hanging in front of me -- the one I've been trying to reach for 24 years now. Even when I think I have a chance for it, in the end, I think. "No, this wasn't it." That's why I keep going. I'm optimistic, but I'm also pessimistic towards trends. It seems now it's more difficult to do things of meaning than in the past. I'm a big fan of the music from the '30s, '40s, '50s, and I know that growing up listening to those scores, you can hear every note of what it was doing. It was so clear listening to Bernard Herrmann's work. In a big film, I think of young composers coming up, and I think they're not going to learn anything listening to my composing for this film because they will be very hard pressed to find what kind of detail was happening at any particular moment. I believe sound effects have become more important than music in Hollywood and in big films. The music has become secondary. So that's something that I've been fighting against for the sake of the art of the big score.

Desplat: I think we all hope that there will always be directors who would like us to write music in real terms and be ready to explore and be open to the composer. This goes back to the temp track thing. But I'm optimistic.

THR: It does seem that these days the music can easily get lost because the sound effects are so loud.

Elfman: There's a trend for films in general to be louder and louder each summer. I noticed this for the last 10, 12 years. There is a point where it can't go any louder.

Kaczmarek: It also depends on the type of film. Some films require huge electric energy. But it's very good to discuss. I believe it is in a critical situation. On the other hand, we cannot start complaining all the time because this is also unwise. Of course it's critical because of what you all said and what Danny said: There is less space for our creative contribution. There are some directors who are very sensitive to music and who understand music, who know that music can create a miracle. But there is a second part to this: the studios.

Desplat: I think the director is crucial. Sometimes he can have power over the studios.

Kaczmarek: Sometimes, but it's very rare. I worked one time with this director who had final cut, and even then it wasn't that great because the studio said, "Yes, you can have your final cut, but we will only open you in five theaters instead of 2,000."

THR: How are shrinking budgets affecting film music?

Elfman: The best music is often done on the lower budgets. Look at the dozen best scores of the year. Very often -- not always, but often -- they are the little films that tend to come out at the end of the year where the music is allowed to shine.

Shore: I tend to disagree with that, I must say. I think the quality of recordings is being affected by the budgets. There are budgets that are required to achieve a certain quality in the studio. We shouldn't be trying to do things with less and less money.

Elfman: We both just finished relatively low budget movies.

Shore: Yes, but the music budgets should bear a relationship to the overall cost of the film -- and that's not quite happening. I don't like to see that. I'd like to see the budgets maintain a certain percentage of the overall cost.

Kaczmarek: I think it's very dangerous. I think it's romantic to think things can happen with no money, but if there is no money in our profession, we cannot afford the best orchestras. If we don't hire orchestras, they have no income, they lose their instruments. In my country, the film business deteriorated to a miserable level. Under Communism, Polish filmmaking was stronger. Even with censorship, it was much better because there was money in the system so people could make good movies.

Desplat: I think the debate is more about different types of cinema. We are talking more about art movies. That's what they are called here. In France, they are just called movies. (Laughter.) We don't have big studio movies. So I think, yes, when you do an art movie, everyone has the same kind of energy. They're all trying to create something different, something that explores, something that takes chances. There's more freedom. If you don't need a big orchestra and only need a few players, you can have that and make a very good score.

Shore: To make good films you need a good balance between all parts -- the cinematography, the production design, the postproduction, the preproduction. Music has to maintain a quality of the overall design of the film. I see that shrinking. I don't like the fact that it's shrinking. It should maintain a level that it had maybe five to 10 years ago. To make good films, there should be a balance. Music shouldn't get short shrift.

THR: What is the least enjoyable part of the composing process?

Rahman: Deadlines and pressure. That happens every time.

Desplat: It's when I can't find what I am looking for, day or night. One day goes by. Then it's a week. Then it's 10 days. When the ideas aren't coming, I sleep.

Kaczmarek: I go for a walk. An intense one. Speed-walking helps.

Elfman: Like Alexandre, needing to find something that I feel like I haven't found, feeling the ticking of the clock. Trying to be relaxed enough to not panic, because if you panic, you will never find what you are looking for.

Shore: I asked an illustrator how he creates so much, and he said, "Just keep the pencil moving." Just toil. Keep the pencil moving. It's so simple. As long as your pencil is moving, you are working. If it's moving, you feel a sense of accomplishment. Even if it's not very good, you feel it's moving.

Elfman: Do you ever feel like you are working on an equation?

Shore: It's a cumulative process, writing music. "The Lord of the Rings" scores took almost four years to write, but it felt like 40 years because it took a lot of time for me to learn how to write that much music in that time frame, to be able to do it and orchestrate it. It's a cumulative effect that allows you to write and open up under pressure, under deadlines. It's just the experience and the cumulative energy of doing it all those years.

Elfman: What do you do when you put that bucket down the well and you don't hear the water?

Shore: You keep the pencil moving.

ajaybaskar
16th December 2008, 01:32 PM
Thanx groucho for sharing...

ajaybaskar
16th December 2008, 01:37 PM
[tscii:d151655739]Breaking: A R Rahman wins Golden Satellite award.

http://www.pressacademy.com/satawards/awards2008.shtml

Best Film (Drama): “Slumdog Millionaire”
Best Film (Comedy/Musical): “Happy-Go-Lucky”
Best Director: Danny Boyle, “Slumdog Millionaire”
Best Actress (Drama): Angelina Jolie, “Changeling”
Best Actor (Drama): Richard Jenkins, “The Visitor”
Best Actor (Comedy/Musical): Ricky Gervais, “Ghost Town”
Best Actress (Comedy/Musical): Sally Hawkins, “Happy-Go-Lucky”
Best Supporting Actor: Michael Shannon, “Revolutionary Road”
Best Supporting Actress: Rosemarie DeWitt, “Rachel Getting Married”
Best Original Screenplay: “The Visitor”
Best Adapted Screenplay: “Frost/Nixon”
Best Art Direction and Production Design: “Austrailia”
Best Cinematography: “Australia”
Best Costume Design: “The Duchess”
Best Editing: “Iron Man”
Best Original Score: “Slumdog Millionaire”
Best Original Song: “Another Way to Die” from “Quantum of Solace”
Best Sound (Editing and Mixing): “The Dark Knight”
Best Visual Effects: “Australia”
Best Foreign-Language Film: “Gomorrah”
Best Animated or Mixed-Media Film: “WALL-E”
Best Documentary: (tie) “Anita O’Day: The Life of a Jazz Singer” and “Man on Wire”[/tscii:d151655739]

ajaybaskar
16th December 2008, 01:44 PM
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Media__Entertainment_/Slumdog_Millionaire_in_Time_magazines_top_10_movie _list/articleshow/3842217.cms

groucho070
16th December 2008, 01:44 PM

No problemo. My brother is hardcore ARR fan.

But did you read it? I mean, look at that exposure. That's huge, man! I am not judgemental here, but any other composers would have been holding big a** paarattu vizha just for this. He just keeps his head down and moves on like lightening. ARR :clap: :clap:

ajaybaskar
16th December 2008, 01:45 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i728e28adf80ba3aae5c37a6bd621de8e

ajaybaskar
16th December 2008, 01:51 PM

But did you read it? I mean, look at that exposure. That's huge, man! I am not judgemental here, but any other composers would have been holding big a** paarattu vizha just for this. He just keeps his head down and moves on like lightening. ARR :clap: :clap:

Exactly,groucho...And that makes him special..

All other composers have fans only for their music. But ARR has fans for himself and also for his music..Proud to be one of them..

ajaybaskar
16th December 2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=14495377

SoftSword
16th December 2008, 02:30 PM
This movies and its musical score is proving the saying "when it rains, it pours"

since the day one of the music launch, we keep hearing praises and praises...

now suddenly i feel more proud for saying myself to be an ARR fan....

now when all others start recognizing and understanding wat rahman is capable of, i feel as if i am a senior to all these guys...

ajaybaskar
16th December 2008, 02:36 PM
This movies and its musical score is proving the saying "when it rains, it pours"

now when all others start recognizing and understanding wat rahman is capable of, i feel as if i am a senior to all these guys...

Super senior... :D

lancelot
16th December 2008, 03:49 PM

Man! now that made me feel all so special :D

hehe

A.ANAND
16th December 2008, 05:27 PM
ARR wins Best Score at San Diego Film Critics Awards

http://sdfcs.org/

directhit
16th December 2008, 05:37 PM
wowow - its raining awards hallelujah :cool2:

A.ANAND
16th December 2008, 07:48 PM
A. R. Rahman wins London critics award
IndiaGlitz [Tuesday, December 16, 2008]

Danny Boyle, an English filmmaker came up with the much appreciated film 'Slumdog Millionaire' with the background score of India's very own A. R. Rahman. The film was about a poor Mumbai youth who takes part in a game show to win the first prize and eventually become a millionaire.

The London Critics Association has lauded A. R. Rahman's talent by awarding him the prestigious London Critics Award for the year 2008.

'I am happy with this award and I'd like to credit Danny Boyle for extracting appropriate music from me. Danny has been so meticulous with his work that both of us have become friends now', said Rahman.

A. R. Rahman with his incredible talent is truly going international

A.ANAND
16th December 2008, 08:00 PM
[tscii:de8c34be93]I scored Slumdog Millionaire’s music in 3 weeks: A.R. Rahman
Prasanna Singh [December 16, 2008, 10:28:38 AM]

A.R. Rahman revealed that he composed Slumdog Millionaire’s music in just three weeks, which is one-fifth of the usual time he takes to compose music for any film. He was also magnanimous enough to accept that Danny Boyle extracted the best out of him. According to him, the director, who is known to use very little music in his films but in an effective manner, was very clear about what he wanted.

Rahman humbly attributed much of the international recognition he has been getting for Slumdog Millionaire to Danny Boyle. He commented that working with Boyle was just like working with Mani Rathnam. "Boyle is extremely friendly," said the maestro. He adds "He loves Indian culture and is quite excited about anything Indian."

Slumdog Millionaire, a poignant tale about a street urchin’s victory at a game show (Kaun Banega Crorepathi) based on his real-life experiences, has been getting rave reviews from all film critics. The film has won several laurels worldwide, won several nominations at the Golden Globe including Best Musical Score (A.R. Rahman), and is on its way to the Oscars. It will not be a surprise to A.R. Rahman, because the LA Film Critics' Association has already honoured him with the “Best Score of the Year?award. And a victory at Golden Globe only portends an award at the Oscars.

[/tscii:de8c34be93]

thineshan54321
17th December 2008, 02:08 AM
SUMMARY

ARR (Original Score):
Wins
Los Angeles Critics Association
NYFCO
San Digo
Golden Satellite award (AKA Annual Satellite Awards)
London Critics Award

Nominations
BFCA, Golden Globes, Chicago

ARR (Original Song):
Nominations BFCA

Slumdog Leads this Year:
http://www.efilmcritic.com/feature.php?feature=2629

**Lets pray that I have to make many more positve changes to this list

groucho070
17th December 2008, 06:45 AM
Here's something to make you giddy...

http://www.arr4music.com/sdm.htm

thamizhvaanan
17th December 2008, 09:02 AM

Thanks a lot Groucho :ty: :ty:

What a league to be in :notworthy: Just notice that ARR is the only guy there without any grey hair :P

MADDY
17th December 2008, 09:30 AM

we are founder members :lol: i still remember the days, when i used to be the lone ARR fan in my locality :D

groucho070
17th December 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks a lot Groucho :ty: :ty:

What a league to be in :notworthy: Just notice that ARR is the only guy there without any grey hair :P

Yeah...my brother said the same thing. Elfman is one of my favourite composer. The work he did for Tim Burton movies, awesome.

There is a new name for humility. Its AR Rahman.

SoftSword
17th December 2008, 11:07 AM

we are founder members :lol: i still remember the days, when i used to be the lone ARR fan in my locality :D

same blood...
in those days when i play arr's songs in the car or van, i remember once it was "muqabula" from kadhalan... my grandfather yelled at me, "ennadaa dangu bungu pattu... thookki eridaa", and the moment i changed teh song to "ennavalae", he said "idhae vidu"...

and there is one more emotional incident happened, which we shall discuss later...

ajaybaskar
17th December 2008, 04:04 PM
Rediff review of SDM soundtrack

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2008/dec/17slumdog-music-review.htm

ajaybaskar
17th December 2008, 04:09 PM
[tscii:58b0ed4693]49 Songs Queue for 2008 Oscar®

Beverly Hills, CA — Forty-nine songs from eligible feature-length
motion pictures are contending for nominations in the Original Song
category for the 81st Academy Awards®, the Academy of Motion Picture
Arts and Sciences announced today.

The original songs, along with the motion picture in which each song
is featured, are listed below in alphabetical order by song title:

"Another Way to Die" from "Quantum of Solace"
"Barking at the Moon" from "Bolt"
"The Boys Are Back" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"Broken and Bent" from "Role Models"
"By the Boab Tree" from "Australia"
"The Call" from "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian"
"Can I Have This Dance" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"Chase the Morning" from "Repo! The Genetic Opera"
"Chromaggia" from "Repo! The Genetic Opera"
"The Code of Life" from "My Dream"
"Code of Silence" from "Save Me"
"Count on Me" from "The Women"
"Di Notte" from "The Lodger"
"Djoyigbe" from "Pray the Devil Back to Hell"
"Down to Earth" from "WALL-E"
"Dracula's Lament" from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
"Drive" from "Fuel"
"Forever" from "They Killed Sister Dorothy"
"High School Musical" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"Gran Torino" from "Gran Torino"
"I Thought I Lost You" from "Bolt"
"I Want It All" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"In Rodanthe" from "Nights in Rodanthe"
"It Ain't Right" from "Dark Streets"
"Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire"
"Just Getting Started" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"Just Wanna Be with You" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"Little Person" from "Synecdoche, New York"
"The Little Things" from "Wanted"
"A Night to Remember" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"Nothing but the Truth" from "Nothing but the Truth"
"Now or Never" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"O Saya" from "Slumdog Millionaire"
"Once in a Lifetime" from "Cadillac Records"
"Right Here Right Now" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"Right to Dream" from "Tennesee"
"Rock Me Sexy Jesus" from "Hamlet 2"
"Scream" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"The Story" from "My Blueberry Nights"
"Sweet Ballad" from "Yes Man"
"Too Much Juice" from "Dark Streets"
"The Traveling Song" from "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa"
"Trouble the Water" from "Trouble the Water"
"Up to Our Nex" from "Rachel Getting Married"
"Walk Away" from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
"Waterline" from "Pride and Glory"
"The Wrestler" from "The Wrestler"
"Yes Man" from "Yes Man"
"Zydrate Anatomy" from "Repo! The Genetic Opera"

On Tuesday, January 6, the Academy will screen clips featuring each
song, in random order, for voting members of the Music Branch in Los
Angeles. Following the screenings, members will vote to determine
which three, four or five songs become nominees in the category.

A DVD copy of the song clips will be made available to those branch
members who are unable to attend the screening and who request it
for home viewing. A mail-in ballot will be provided.

A maximum of two songs may be nominated from any film. If more than
two songs from a film are in contention, the two songs with the most
votes will be the nominees.

To be eligible, a song must consist of words and music, both of
which are original and written specifically for the film. A clearly
audible, intelligible, substantive rendition of both lyric and
melody must be used in the body of the film or as the first music
cue in the end credits.

The 81st Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Thursday,
January 22, 2009, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn
Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2008 will be
presented on Sunday, February 22, 2009, at the Kodak Theatre at
Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC
Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised
live in more than 200 countries worldwide.[/tscii:58b0ed4693]

ajaybaskar
17th December 2008, 04:10 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=258662

ajaybaskar
17th December 2008, 04:15 PM

SoftSword
17th December 2008, 06:35 PM
Rahman's magic makes Slumdog a must-have

Raja Sen

December 17, 2008 13:19 IST

It's a bit of a disservice to try and rank a musical score as one would a normal soundtrack, since so much of its desired effect is achieved through using it in bits and pieces, in background and in snatches... as opposed to full-scale gaanas like we usually see in our movies.

Yet AR Rahman is up for a Golden Globe for his work on Danny Boyle's phenomenally well-reviewed Slumdog Millionaire, and before we watch the movie, here's a peek at the 13 tracks on the disc.

O Saya:
By the way, it's 'Say-aah,' like a particularly tuneful dentist would sing it, not 'Saaya' as in shadow. Rahman's the man ostensibly asking you to open wide, and he sounds uncharacteristically mellow with his exhortations before breaking into some Cheb Mami style freestyle vocal wildness. Ha. M.I.A sounds just about okay, but breaks the rhythm of the song effectively enough. It's the kind of song that'll grow on you.

Riots:
There's a discordant moaning accompanying the thudding rhythm of this track, suggesting it's about a city -- and its very bowels -- in deep agony. Something is clearly wrong, and the track lets you know it. Very unsettling.

Mausam And Escape:
The composer decides to leave the electronica for later, and just concentrate on a beautiful soundscape. This is where the classical showoffing is done, and Rahman masterfully builds on layer over layer as the track rises to an overwhelming crescendo. The mood shifts right through the middle of the song, and this is Rahman in look-at-me mode. It's a startling track, its frenetic high ebbing gradually, beautifully into silence. Wow.

Paper Planes:
M.I.A soars with this ridiculously catchy track. The words -- 'I fly like paper, get high like planes; If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name' -- are very fun, but not as much as the sound effects: 'All I wanna do is,' M.I.A sings, before the track shudders with gunfire, bang-bang-ing away to glory. Good fun.

Paper Planes (DFA Remix):
ARR clearly listens to more American music than we expect him to. Suddenly the M.I.A track comes with a significantly moody intro, and by the time the girl's vocals kick in, the song already sounds very different from the one we just heard. The real fun bit? Rahman kills the guns, making it impossible to tell what M.I.A wants to do anymore.

Ringa Ringa:
This is Choli Ke Peechhe, not that they ever sing that line. The essence of Laxmikant-Pyarelal runs deep through this song. Ila Arun sings Ringa-Ringa with such unforgiving intensity you almost wish she'd say 'roses' and break the spell, while Alka Yagnik [Images] sounds better than she's done in quite a while. The melody is obviously haunted by the ghost of a provocative Madhuri Dixit [Images], but Rahman soaks the track in nineties-ism with such joy. The once merely sexy song here becomes a saga of betrayal and helplessness, and the effect is mesmeric.

Liquid Dance:
A hyperactive tabla bol crossfades frantically from centre to left to right and back again even before the actual beat kicks in. There is much electronica, and a theme -- reminiscent of Rahman's lovely Bombay signature theme, definitely intentionally -- takes over, and by now you're hooked. The composer weaves in several disparate layers, and each rolls back to give the dhu-na-ki-tak-dhini bol pride of place. Very cool, very trippy, and one can only imagine the mad visuals this track will accompany and, doubtlessly, elevate.

Latika's Theme:
There is much wistfulness on hand as Suzanne D'Mello melodically hums her way through this simple, pretty piece of music. Somewhere in the middle it seems to dip into a poignant melancholy, but we're probably just second-guessing the film here. A fine, intentionally unspectacular theme.

Aaj Ki Raat:
Yeah, it's Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy's track from the new Don. There is some slight remastering, but the song remains the same. I'm betting there'll be a small portion, or snatches, of the song played somewhere in the background.

Millionaire:
The first thing you notice about this track is its urgency, about how the heavily syncopated music tries to be racing ahead of itself. It might sound like generic electronica at first go, but there is a grim undertone to this song, clearly the kind of thing that could accompany a great chase visual. Or a montage.

Gangsta Blues:
Incoherent whispers lead us into this gangster-by-numbers track. Rahman's frequently used rapper Blaaze sounds less objectionable than he ever has, but this remains a very standard-issue 'bad guy' track, right down to the oh-oh-oh-oh Aguilera-esque chorus by Tanvi Shah, though the way she does the final 'oh' every time deserves, um, commendation.

Dreams On Fire:
The melody is innocuous, but D'Mello sounds a bit like she's trying too hard. The words are maudlin, and don't ever quite soar out of the Hallmark range. Nothing special, though Boyle could change that visually.

Jai Ho:
Aha, this one's a keeper. Rahman always uses Sukhwinder Singh to the optimum, and as soon as he sings out the first two lines -- lovely, evocative lines about the sky stretching out like a sparkling blue shamiana -- you know you'll love this song. Tanvi Shah and Mahalakshmi Iyer are used with whimsy, and the words are those of a dreamer. I dare you to not love this song.

What a way to end the album. So yes, there are a few stellar tracks -- Liquid Dreams, Jai Ho, Mausam And Escape and Ringa Ringa are absolutely incredible -- and it's a safe bet the rest will either grow on you or impress you once Mr Boyle's had his way with the music.

All I can promise is that listening to this music makes you want to watch the film real bad.

Rediff Rating:
4 stars

---------------------------

This guy has mentioned that rahman has done the paper planes remix... by listening to lots of american music :)

directhit
17th December 2008, 06:43 PM
Rahman's magic makes Slumdog a must-have

Raja Sen

All I can promise is that listening to this music makes you want to watch the film real bad.

Rediff Rating:
4 stars :lol2: manasthar missing :poke:

SoftSword
17th December 2008, 06:53 PM
he gave 5 stars for ghajini

directhit
17th December 2008, 06:55 PM
he gave 5 stars for ghajini SS, that whole review (gajini) i felt was vanjapugazhchi :twisted:

SoftSword
17th December 2008, 07:18 PM
i know dh... but that compensates for the stars he missed to give for the previous albums of ARR... :)

avan enna star kuduttha namakkenna...

A.ANAND
18th December 2008, 06:10 AM
Slumdog Millionaire music wins Rahman Satellite Award

Washington: Noted Indian music director A R Rahman has added a Satellite Award to his Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Score for his music in British director Danny Boyle's uplifting underdog tale Slumdog Millionaire.

Apart from Rahman's award, the Mumbai set and shot film has won two more annual Satellite Awards given by the International Press Academy for Best Picture-Drama and Best Director for Boyle.

The film tells the heart warming story of an 18-year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai who goes on to win a staggering Rs 20 million ($420,000) on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" game show.

Slumdog Millionaire has also tied with 'WALL.E', a computer-animated-science fiction-romance film, for the Best Picture award from the Boston Society of Film Critics, besides winning the Best Editing prize.

Named as one of the Top 10 films of 2008 by Associated Press movie writer David Germain, ranking at number four, Slumdog Millionaire has also won four EDA (Excellent Dynamic Activism) Awards from the Alliance of Women Film Journalists (AWFJ), including Best Film and Best Direction.

The awards are named in honor of AWFJ founder Jennifer Merin's mother, Eda Reiss Merin, a stage, film and television actress whose career spanned more than 60 years.

With a total gross of $8,073,000 and a weekend gross of $2,200,000, up 57 percent from last weekend, Slumdog Millionaire remained in the North American Top 12 for a fourth consecutive weekend despite playing in a limited number of theatres.

It will on Friday expand from 169 to 500 theaters in all major cities across North America.

The film has also earned three other nominations for Best Picture-Drama, Best Director for Boyle and Best Screenplay for Simon Beaufoy for 2008 Golden Globe Awards given by Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

Earlier last week, Slumdog Millionaire won two awards from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association - Best Director for Boyle and Best Music for Rahman. It also won the runner-up prize for Best Cinematography for Anthony Dod Mantle.

The film has also won the Best Cinematography prize from The New York Film Critics' Circle and earned six Critics Choice Award nominations for Picture, Director (Boyle), Writer (Beaufoy), Young Actor (Dev Patel), Composer (Rahman), and Song ("Jai Ho").

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/slumdog-millionaire-music-wins-rahman-satellite-award/80748-8.html

PoonaiKutty
18th December 2008, 07:04 AM
:redjump: :bluejump: hurraayyyy ARR SMDkku awardsaa vaangi kuvikkaraaru :redjump: :bluejump:

PoonaiKutty
18th December 2008, 07:08 AM
Oscar Nomination listkku "Jai Ho" vum "O Saya"vum poyrukku ... hayyoo edhana onnukku sureaa award varanume pillayaarappa :D

A.ANAND
18th December 2008, 07:09 AM
innum kuviyapoguthu!athukulla soundtrack seekiram release aana nallathu,illa-inna neraya 'zerox amulraj'kkal copy panni vittuduvangga!

directhit
18th December 2008, 07:10 AM
innum kuviyapoguthu!athukulla soundtrack seekiram release aana nallathu,illa-inna neraya 'zerox amulraj'kkal copy panni vittuduvangga! :lol:

A.ANAND
18th December 2008, 07:12 AM
award vaangarathu namma thalaivaru-ikku vara vara hobby mathiri agiduchu pola!

PoonaiKutty
18th December 2008, 07:20 AM

exactly ... enna ore varutham ... inimel Tamil movieskku ARR kedaikkaradhu kashtam :(

A.ANAND
18th December 2008, 07:32 AM

exactly ... enna ore varutham ... inimel Tamil movieskku ARR kedaikkaradhu kashtam :(

enna sir,ippadi sollitinga??why! :roll: :confused2:

PoonaiKutty
18th December 2008, 07:46 AM

ayyoo sir illa madam :)

illa hollywood rangekku poyttaare ARR adhukku sonnein :D

Sourav
18th December 2008, 07:48 AM

:lol: :rotfl:

PoonaiKutty
18th December 2008, 08:00 AM

:twisted: :twisted:

A.ANAND
18th December 2008, 08:48 AM
poonaikutty madam-ma!miaawww.... :lol:

A.ANAND
18th December 2008, 09:10 AM
A.R. Rahman bags Satellite Award

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200812171564.htm

lancelot
18th December 2008, 09:19 AM

:twisted: :twisted:
:lol: :lol:
that was funny
hehe

ajaybaskar
18th December 2008, 10:40 AM

Even I thought it was "SIR" :lol:

However, I am expecting a filmfare for Sakkarakatti this time.

Ramakrishna
18th December 2008, 01:38 PM

Even I thought it was "SIR" :lol:

However, I am expecting a filmfare for Sakkarakatti this time.
I think VA will get it.

ajaybaskar
18th December 2008, 05:57 PM
Originalku Get out,
Copy catku Cut out ah???

SoftSword
18th December 2008, 06:25 PM
hotel saapaado... veettu sapaado... pasi aaruchanu dhaane paappaanga...

idhukkellaam kaaranam namma kalaaprabhu dhaan...

A.ANAND
19th December 2008, 09:54 AM
Who gets the credit?

The news that the soundtrack of Slumdog Millionaire has been nominated for a Golden Globe has had an electrifying effect on everyone. Nobody in India seems to care about the nominees for the other awards; it seems enough that A.R. Rahman has been nominated. It is strange though that Rahman has composed a song, which is a rip-off of the infamous Choli ke Peeche song from Subhash Ghai's blockbuster Khalnayak. The song by M.I.A featuring Blaaze sounds like an M.I.A composition, complete with her trademark rap style. Seeing the credits on the album will sure be interesting!

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2008/12/19/stories/2008121950240800.htm

thamizhvaanan
19th December 2008, 09:55 AM
Who gets the credit?

The news that the soundtrack of Slumdog Millionaire has been nominated for a Golden Globe has had an electrifying effect on everyone. Nobody in India seems to care about the nominees for the other awards; it seems enough that A.R. Rahman has been nominated. It is strange though that Rahman has composed a song, which is a rip-off of the infamous Choli ke Peeche song from Subhash Ghai's blockbuster Khalnayak. The song by M.I.A featuring Blaaze sounds like an M.I.A composition, complete with her trademark rap style. Seeing the credits on the album will sure be interesting!

:banghead:

A.ANAND
19th December 2008, 09:57 AM
ithukuthan 'vaitherichal'innu sollu vaangalo! :banghead:

lancelot
19th December 2008, 10:13 AM
2009 Screen Actors Guild Awards
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Nominees:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Doubt (2008)
Frost/Nixon (2008)
Milk (2008)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Nominees:

Josh Brolin for Milk (2008)
Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder (2008)
Philip Seymour Hoffman for Doubt (2008)
Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (2008)
Dev Patel for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2009/sags

hehe

directhit
19th December 2008, 10:54 AM
Who gets the credit?

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2008/12/19/stories/2008121950240800.htm indha loose original CD vaangamalaye credits pathiyellam pesudhu :lol2:

raja_fan
19th December 2008, 10:55 AM
Who gets the credit?

Though an IR fan, I felt happy that ARR has been nominated for an international award.
But after reading this.............shame ! shame !

dinesh2002
19th December 2008, 11:25 AM
Who gets the credit?

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2008/12/19/stories/2008121950240800.htm indha loose original CD vaangamalaye credits pathiyellam pesudhu :lol2:

Lol.... its clearly stated that the Ringa Ringa song was composed to give an atmosphere of early 1990s in North India. And the Paper Planes is a M.I.A composition alright, credited even in the blogs.

Its funny reviewers like this r so ignorant. Out of 13 songs. only 3 could be seen as none ARR numbers. So i dun see the problem about him getting nominated for the remaining 10 tracks.

ajaybaskar
19th December 2008, 12:06 PM
Who gets the credit?

Though an IR fan, I felt happy that ARR has been nominated for an international award.

Mr. Raja Fan, you need to go through all the previous posts to understand the reality behind this and more importantly u have to listen to SDM soundtrack first. Please dont hurt the sentiments of ARR fans here-waiting for our boss to create history- by using words like "Shame". If you do want to know what a shame really is, I can put forward a lot of instances. But this is not a place for that and I also have a lot of respect for IR's music.

SoftSword
19th December 2008, 12:13 PM
Who gets the credit?

idhellaam oru pozhappa....
nallaa kaelunga sir...

shame shame..!!

A.ANAND
19th December 2008, 05:27 PM
Who gets the credit?

itha ellam kandukka matangga namma moderator,aana naama[ARR FANS]konjam nakkala ethavathu sonna'DELETE WITH WARNING'panniduvaanga!paarunnga enna 'vaithrichal'avangalukku! :twisted:

dinesh2002
19th December 2008, 06:46 PM
Who gets the credit?

itha ellam kandukka matangga namma moderator,aana naama[ARR FANS]konjam nakkala ethavathu sonna'DELETE WITH WARNING'panniduvaanga!paarunnga enna 'vaithrichal'avangalukku! :twisted:

Anand... :lol: :lol:

ajaybaskar
19th December 2008, 11:13 PM
Who gets the credit?

Side effects of stomach burning.... :lol:

ajaybaskar
19th December 2008, 11:25 PM
[tscii:9e93c98f61]Mail to THE HINDU from a fellow Rahmaniac.

Dear Editor,

This is regarding the article titled “Who gets the Credit?” in the link http://www.hindu. com/cp/2008/ 12/19/stories/ 2008121950240800 .htm, dated 19-Dec-08. This is really disgusting to know that how a responsible writer can make false judgments and write the information in a public forum about India ’s most treasured, prized and respected composer. This is not a request from my side, I am quite strong on this article, and I would say your executives to do the required research of the facts and then write in public forums. This clearly mirrors how irresponsible are your executives and of course the editor who ever has reviewed and approved for this information to be published and I am sorry to say this. This is not what expected from an educated media community. This is really disgusting. I am again strong here, I would say to your columnist Mr. Nikhil Raghavan to do a research on the topic, and correct the information and also apologize for updating wrong information regarding the ARRs score in Slumdog Millionaire.
I can’t understand one thing, when the press representatives across the globe (particularly in US) are appreciating and recognizing the score of an Indian, how come you people say such irresponsible statements. I hope “The Hindu” is not a blog or they have plans to deteriorate to a blogspot.

Thanks and Regards,
NANDAKISHORE. S
[/tscii:9e93c98f61]

thineshan54321
20th December 2008, 01:58 AM
[tscii:766f75a7f0]Mail to THE HINDU from a fellow Rahmaniac.

Dear Editor,

This is regarding the article titled “Who gets the Credit?” in the link http://www.hindu. com/cp/2008/ 12/19/stories/ 2008121950240800 .htm, dated 19-Dec-08. This is really disgusting to know that how a responsible writer can make false judgments and write the information in a public forum about India ’s most treasured, prized and respected composer. This is not a request from my side, I am quite strong on this article, and I would say your executives to do the required research of the facts and then write in public forums. This clearly mirrors how irresponsible are your executives and of course the editor who ever has reviewed and approved for this information to be published and I am sorry to say this. This is not what expected from an educated media community. This is really disgusting. I am again strong here, I would say to your columnist Mr. Nikhil Raghavan to do a research on the topic, and correct the information and also apologize for updating wrong information regarding the ARRs score in Slumdog Millionaire.
I can’t understand one thing, when the press representatives across the globe (particularly in US) are appreciating and recognizing the score of an Indian, how come you people say such irresponsible statements. I hope “The Hindu” is not a blog or they have plans to deteriorate to a blogspot.

Thanks and Regards,
NANDAKISHORE. S
[/tscii:766f75a7f0]

nethiyadi!

prasana84
20th December 2008, 03:11 AM
These ppl were not in the studio. summa vaiku vanthapadi adichu vedaranga. Ethellam veyitherichalin uchakattam :lol: . whole world is appreciating but these ppl r mad. no one in india can achieve wat arr has done. paratathan mudila atleast poramaiyacham padama irunga.
Shame Shame :lol:

vnkatkumar
20th December 2008, 01:32 PM
Similar to the Hindu article was the one on a website
http://southside.in/buzz_details.php?buzz_id=104
and it was even more condescending on Rahman's compositions. No matte what he has been nominated for the Golden Globes an achievement no Indian MD has got not even our very own chest thumping Ilayaraja. But what makes this article seem a little intriguing is that it was written by the ex-CEO of the record label Magnasound who has worked with Rahman in many albums before in fact he was the one who introduced Rahman into the music scene.

rajasaranam
20th December 2008, 02:13 PM
Regarding this defamation from Hindu/southside, they dont even know that ARR is nominated for 'Original Score' of the movie (which should be credited to ARR otherwise why should GG accept him contesting) not for the 'soundtrack' of the movie. Now these reviews are talking abt the album/soundtrack for which the we should wait for the album to be released to look out for credits. ARR who has a habit crediting his team right from the beginning should have done the 'just' (If MIA has composed a song it will be rightfully credited, if she had done only the RAP parts even that will be credited) act I believe.
These people need not worry! now anybody can claim that he was the one who introduced ARR into music scene...Very pathetic attempt dude. Magnasound'oda ex-CEO vaam :lol:

vnkatkumar,

When it comes to Traditional folk / carnatic / WCM Raaja is the Emperor here and there are no 2 ways about it. He has achieved more than Any other composer from India during his prime and lots more to achieve only if he comes down a 'little' from the high pedestal he sits. Raaja is chest thumping, well and doesn't lick legs also, period.

baba88
20th December 2008, 03:32 PM
O Saya is too good. Really great spirit.

A.ANAND
20th December 2008, 04:44 PM
rajasaranam,

oru 10-15 varusathukku munnala,illayaraja london-la avar panna muthal simphony[nyabagam irukka,athan periya vizha kuda TN-la eduthanggale]athoda audio cd cover-ravathu kedakkuma??

'aale illatha kadai-la ippadi yaaru-ikku tea aatikitukkan'innu vivek comedy dialoge-than nyabagam varuthu! :lol: unnga kadamai unachiya romba paaratiren RS sir!

ajaybaskar
20th December 2008, 05:52 PM
Guys, With SDM creating waves in the international level, I think comparisons are inevitable. But we can stop comparing ARR with other Indian MDS. Lets compare the work of Rahman in SDM with Wall E, Dark Knight, etc. this will stop others posting unwarranted comments.

SoftSword
20th December 2008, 06:07 PM
Regarding this defamation from Hindu/southside, they dont even know that ARR is nominated for 'Original Score' of the movie (which should be credited to ARR otherwise why should GG accept him contesting) not for the 'soundtrack' of the movie. Now these reviews are talking abt the album/soundtrack for which the we should wait for the album to be released to look out for credits. ARR who has a habit crediting his team right from the beginning should have done the 'just' (If MIA has composed a song it will be rightfully credited, if she had done only the RAP parts even that will be credited) act I believe.
These people need not worry! now anybody can claim that he was the one who introduced ARR into music scene...Very pathetic attempt dude. Magnasound'oda ex-CEO vaam :lol:

vnkatkumar,

When it comes to Traditional folk / carnatic / WCM Raaja is the Emperor here and there are no 2 ways about it. He has achieved more than Any other composer from India during his prime and lots more to achieve only if he comes down a 'little' from the high pedestal he sits. Raaja is chest thumping, well and doesn't lick legs also, period.

chill RS :P

dinesh2002
20th December 2008, 06:34 PM
rajasaranam,

oru 10-15 varusathukku munnala,illayaraja london-la avar panna muthal simphony[nyabagam irukka,athan periya vizha kuda TN-la eduthanggale]athoda audio cd cover-ravathu kedakkuma??

'aale illatha kadai-la ippadi yaaru-ikku tea aatikitukkan'innu vivek comedy dialoge-than nyabagam varuthu! :lol: unnga kadamai unachiya romba paaratiren RS sir!

Anand..... :lol: :lol:

Sensitive issue thothethinge... :P ....

War Arambam aagathum..... :twisted:

thineshan54321
20th December 2008, 08:13 PM
rajasaranam,

Anand..... :lol: :lol:

Sensitive issue thothethinge... :P ....

War Arambam aagathum..... :twisted:

why dont we just count the number of awards ARR is getting. we dont have time for wars. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A.ANAND
20th December 2008, 09:14 PM
Guys, With SDM creating waves in the international level, I think comparisons are inevitable. But we can stop comparing ARR with other Indian MDS. Lets compare the work of Rahman in SDM with Wall E, Dark Knight, etc. this will stop others posting unwarranted comments.

yes!good point :D
apparam meendum 'delete with warning'varum!yaan entha vanbu!

A.ANAND
20th December 2008, 09:19 PM
[tscii:c66ba66145]Slumdog strikes a rich note, but Rahman aims higher
Nothing is enough, says the maestro when TOI caught up with him after his Golden Globe nomination
Bhama Devi Ravi | TNN

Chennai: The ‘wow’ factor has still not left him, says A R Rahman, after his soundtrack for ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ won the Golden Globe nominations, and the number ‘Jaiho’ fetched him the Satellite Award. It has been a few days since his return from Los Angeles, but Rahman is already looking at raising the bar.
It has been a long journey for him, from 1992, when he debuted as music director in ‘Roja’, which Time magazine rated as among the Top Ten movie soundtracks. The four time national award winner made a big impact in the international arena in 2004 with Andrew Webber Lloyd’s ‘Bombay Dreams.’
“Though I had been in the field for a while by then, I was not doing pure Indian classical or symphony. Yet, after ‘Bombay Dreams’ when Germans and other nationals asked for my autograph, I said ‘wow, it’s happening,’ to myself,” says Rahman. And yet, the man whose music makes your soul dance says he has more heights to touch.
“Nothing is enough. There is always something coming up in music,” he says. He is happy that he met British director Danny Boyle’s expectations on ‘Slumdog Millionaire.’ “I have done 17 cues, including the songs, ‘Jaiho’, ‘Osayan’, ‘Ringa ringa’ and ‘Gangster blues’. I was so pleased that Boyle gave me three weeks to finish the entire score,” he says with a laugh.
It was a challenging task even without the timeframe. “I knew the way Boyle used music in his films was exotic, an item by itself. When he met me in Chennai a year ago I realised he wanted something completely different,” recalls Rahman. He sent entirely unconnected pieces and then made them all come together in a harmonious blend. “Boyle felt it all came together, and so here we are,” he says, referring to the awards and accolades.
Rahman has used a largely Indian orchestra. Blaaze and Gulzar have penned most of the lyrics, while Wendy Parr wrote ‘Dreams on fire’. The music director, known for identifying obscure talent, zoomed in on Azid, a sitar player from Mumbai who played in ‘Jodha Akbar’. “He interpreted everything that I wanted and his performance in Slumdog Millionaire is a showstopper for me,” says Rahman.
Rahman says working in the theatrical production of the ‘Lord of the Rings’ was an eye-opener. “It took me to another level, the critical side of people, of what they like and don’t like about my music. It was a great learning curve working with Mathew Wallace and others like Varttina and Christopher Nightingale,” says Rahman.
[/tscii:c66ba66145]

ajaybaskar
21st December 2008, 12:50 PM
[tscii:0b828b0dbf]The little gold (rah)man?

Baradwaj RanganFirst Published : 21 Dec 2008 12:34:00 AM ISTLast Updated : 21 Dec 2008 11:41:39 AM ISTA

few weeks ago, a local radio station wanted to know what I felt about the Oscars, and whether such awards meant anything to our film industry in the grand scheme of things. This was a live telecast, early in the morning, and there’s only so much considered thought one can channel into a back-and-forth over the phone when the coffee has barely begun to kick in — so I put on my lofty hat and denied that the Academy Awards were important. I said they’d be a nice-to-have, certainly, but when asked if they meant anything, I had to say no. As all awards are picked by juries, and all juries consist of human beings, and all human beings are subjective, what does an award really mean?

If you factor in the culture question, do we actually expect a North American jury to fully comprehend the ethos of something made over here, for us, and also fully comprehend the ethos of something made over in Czechoslovakia or China, and be in a position to single out the best? A great deal of ink was devoted to analysing why Lagaan lost out to No Man’s Land, but why even bother? The two are related only so far as they are shaped out of celluloid — otherwise, one is an apple to the other’s rambutan. For that matter, if Lagaan had competed against Shwaas, it still wouldn’t have mattered whether it won or lost. Apart from the undeniable thrill of a valuable (and very visible) pat on the back, an Oscar signifies nothing.

Can I tell you what a hypocrite I feel now about that interview — “now” being after the announcement that AR Rahman has been honoured for Best Musical Score (for Slumdog Millionaire) by the Los Angeles Critics Association, and has subsequently been nominated for a Golden Globe? (Going by the avalanche of awards-season love being lavished on Slumdog Millionaire, it’s quickly shaping out to be this year’s little-snowball-that-could, which translates into a very possible Oscar nomination for Rahman.) My feelings about awards haven’t changed — well, not exactly — but I realise now that I’d forgotten about a very important aspect about the Oscars or the Golden Globes or pretty much every major award. (In other words, we’re ignoring the kind of ceremonies that hand out, in all seriousness, the Kesar Chyavanprash Award for Best Male Comedian on Stilts.)

What I’d omitted to mention was the knuckle-clenching thrill of rooting for someone from your home team. Sure, AR Rahman’s nomination doesn’t really mean a thing in comparative terms — in the sense that one jury’s cloud is inevitably another’s silver lining; that pesky subjectivity thing again — but dammit, if I’m not going to be up on my feet, sobbing and cheering hoarse if he does end up winning (please, please, please, oh Flying Spaghetti Monster!). And this, despite the fact that I’ve had extremely mixed reactions to Rahman’s work this year. (Had I been his schoolteacher, evaluating his efforts on Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na and Yuvvraaj, I’d have been conflicted between awarding him a gold star and ordering him to stand up on the bench.)

But even when Rahman’s music isn’t what you expect, even when it doesn’t find its way to that sweet spot, you almost always catch a whiff of the creative restlessness that characterises his compositions, that refusal to settle for easy reconfigurat-ions of past hits when that could be all that the marketplace demands. In his desire to push himself and his music, he may succeed or fail, but the indefatigability of that effort is what I’ll be cheering for. If only for redefining the sound of our film music, Rahman certainly deserves to be recognised on a celebrated global platform — and regardless of your opinion of his work on Slumdog Millionaire, if this is the film that gets him these sought-after recognitions, then so be it.

And yet, at some level, it appears that Rahman doesn’t really need a Golden Globe or an Oscar. He is already among the most fêted artists of our time (if not the most fêted artist), and though these statuettes will undoubtedly add lustre to his already groaning mantelpiece — not to mention his moniker (imagine the mouth-watering opportunities presented by the prefix “Oscar-winning”) — Rahman doesn’t need these recognitions to become more visible. Thanks to the shrinking world and our movies (mainly from Bollywood) expanding their reach, Rahman has already waved his baton on the London stage (Bombay Dreams) and in Hollywood (Elizabeth: The Golden Age) — even without the crutch of an Oscar or a Golden Globe.

It may be useful, therefore, to consider Rahman’s nomination — and hopeful win — as something more than just the individual triumph that it undoubtedly is. We may not make the best films in our country, but perhaps due to our long-standing traditions of music, we’ve had a staggeringly illustrious line of composers, in which Rahman is simply the latest. His predecessors never had the enviable privilege that is his today, of creating mus-ic in an era when the global is local and the local is instantly global. And it would be fitting to recog-nise that his victory will — in a sense — also be theirs, for it will also be a victory for the great tradition of Indian film music of which Rahman is now the global face.[/tscii:0b828b0dbf]

Yathu
21st December 2008, 03:27 PM
GREAT ARTICLE! :D Thanks for posting Ajay. Where is it from?

Vaz
21st December 2008, 03:57 PM
It is by Baradwaj Rangan...

http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/

Yathu
22nd December 2008, 12:50 AM
It is by Baradwaj Rangan...

http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/

Thanks Vaz! :D

A.ANAND
22nd December 2008, 09:52 AM
MAHENDRA VED: Music is a spiritual experience, says A.R. Rahman
By : Mahendra Ved

Indian composer A.R. Rahman

THREE weeks after the turmoil of the terror attacks, Mumbai is back in the news, not only because the Taj Mahal, the hotel devastated by the siege opened to guests in time for the Christmas and New Year revelries.

Bringing honours to the city's dynamism is Slumdog Millionaire, a Hollywood film set and shot in its slums. It is a heartwarming story of an 18-year-old orphan who goes on to win US$420,000 (RM1.5 million) on India's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? game show.

The film has earned numerous awards and nominations -- best picture, best director (Danny Boyle) and best screenplay (Simon Beaufoy).

But the most-awarded is the music by A.R. Rahman, who has won the Satellite Award for Best Original Score, besides a nomination for the 2008 Golden Globe Awards.

His score received extra momentum from the presence of Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam, the dance music phenomenon aka M.I.A. Though London-born, her parents are Sri Lankan Tamils, a connection that informed and enhanced the film's score.

The musical score, Jai Ho, hailing perseverance and success, could as much apply to Allah Rakha Rahman, the reigning superstar of Indian film music.

The accolades the film and Rahman's compositions are gathering should logically lead to greater prominence for this soft-spoken genius from Chennai, who also dominates Bollywood, the Mumbai cinema.

What next, with honours coming in thick and fast? An American Academy Award, perhaps? Rahman would be the first Indian composer to achieve this. "I don't know whether it excites me personally," says he.

No stranger to international fame, he has composed music for a London West End musical, scored for a Chinese film, conducted the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and created tunes for more than 100 Indian films.

His first movie album, Roja, was listed in Time magazine's "Top 10 Movie Soundtracks of All Time".

He has worked with internationally renowned artistes such as Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Michael Jackson, Jean Michel Jarre, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Zakir Hussain, Dominic Miller, L. Shankar, David Byrne, Kadri Gopalnath, Vikku Vinayakram, Ustad Sultan Khan and Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, among many others.

By 2003, he had sold more than 100 million records of his film scores and soundtracks worldwide and over 200 million cassettes, making him one of the world's top 25 all-time top-selling recording artistes. But these are admittedly old figures.

According to his biography, Composer Extraordinaire: The Complete Biography of A.R. Rahman, his baptism in music happened early in life, when he would visit the studios with his composer-father.

During one such visit, a top composer who saw the 4-year-old play a tune on the harmonium, covered the keys with a cloth. That made no difference. The kid replayed the tune effortlessly.

Rahman was born A.S. Dileep Kumar, the second of four children born to R.K. Shekhar. How did this Hindu-to-Muslim transformation come about?

According to his biography, Rahman lost his father despite all efforts to save him. Even prayers did not work. In 1988, one of his sisters fell seriously ill and numerous attempts to cure her failed.

The family again tried everything from medicine to Hindu religious rituals and prayers in a church. It came in close contact with a Muslim pir -- Sheik Abdul Qadir Jeelani or Pir Qadri. Convinced that his blessings worked and saved the sister, the entire family embraced Islam.

Known for his thick, long, black hair, some years back, he cut it short. "When I went for haj, I shaved off my long hair. Fortunately or unfortunately, my wife liked my new look. She insisted that I keep it. I had no alternative but to listen to my wife." She is his strength and support.

For Rahman, music is not just a profession but "a spiritual experience". He will be 41 next month. At an age when many others may be just starting out, Rahman has garnered achievements that many others cannot in a lifetime.

The man behind the music remains an enigma.

"If a music artiste wants to blossom into a full-pledged person, it's not enough if he knows only classical music; nor is it enough if he's well-versed only in ragas and techniques. Instead, he should be a knowledgeable person interested in life and philosophy. In his personal life there should be, at least in some corner of his heart, a tinge of lingering sorrow," he says.

Is he afraid of setbacks? "Disappointments? Failures? The holy book says they test you. A few years down the line you see the setback was a good thing, it stopped disaster."

Essentially a Sufi, Rahman is known to visit dargahs, the Muslim mausoleums, and engage in long prayer sessions. "I need that spiritual cleansing."

He sees dargahs as beyond religious conflicts. The Sufi way of love answers his need. With that gain in confidence, he has become more considerate of others.

If all this reveals a man mature beyond his years, he says: "I have been with older people since I was 11. Only when I saw my photograph in the newspaper while scoring for Roja did I discover I didn't have grey hair. I was quite young!"

What does music mean to him? "Many things. It's hard to define: bread and butter, peace, happiness and devotion. When you are working on a piece and it turns out to be good, its like a moment of magic."

He remains modest despite success. "I'm inspired any time I watch a good musician playing. When I'm programming my music on my own, I always think of some great drummer or some great bass guitarist. When I'm playing on the keyboards, I think of how beautifully another musician plays the instrument. And that inspires me to play."

Rahman lists among his musical favourites Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and the Carpenters, and among film composers Naushad, S.D. and R.D. Burman, and in Tamil K.V. Mahadevan and Vishwanathan-Ramamoorthy.

As the young and old swing to his hits, it can be safely said that the current era will be considered to have been greatly influenced by the "Rahman School of Music".

malaysian leading english newspaper :D :clap:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Columns/2433805/Article/index_html

Ramakrishna
23rd December 2008, 12:34 PM
'ARR IS EQUAL TO MICHAEL JACKSON' - DANNY BOYLE
In an interview today [Dec 23, 2008] in HT Cafe, Danny Boyle was interviewed by Khalid Mohammad.

Q.>How would you rank the chances of Slumdog Millionare at the Oscars?

Danny : I have to keep myself very modest about the Oscar hopes.I would love A.R. Rahman to be acknowledged most of all.The reception of the film has been extraordinary at every turn, it was not expected.

Q.>A.R. Rahman nearly didn't happen.

Danny: That's because everyone is so so busy here. It's not like this is the west..famous actors don't do three films at the same time. Here, the talent has to juggle time...like Rahman did. He is the equivalent of Beyonce Knowles and Michael Jackson, the nation is devoted to his music and yet he is so grounded. He's a beautiful man.

ajaybaskar
23rd December 2008, 02:14 PM
Best of 2008 - The Top 10 Movie Scores Of The Year

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=2237

ajaybaskar
23rd December 2008, 02:17 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/raghutech/SlumdogMillionaireCD?feat=directlink#

littlemaster1982
23rd December 2008, 02:35 PM

ARR is credited as follows:

Composed by International Superstar AR Rahman 8-) :victory: :goosebumps:

directhit
23rd December 2008, 02:37 PM

Composed by International Superstar AR Rahman 8-) :victory: :goosebumps: :exactly: 8-) 8-)

A.ANAND
23rd December 2008, 03:59 PM

:clap: :clap: :swinghead: :2thumbsup: ATHU! :D

ajaybaskar
23rd December 2008, 09:02 PM
"So far so good" for "Slumdog" composer

By Shilpa Jamkhandikar
MUMBAI (Reuters Life!) -

He is the first Indian composer to get a Golden Globe nomination and there's an Oscar buzz around his score in "Slumdog Millionaire, " but A.R. Rahman is unfazed by talk of awards.
"The more you expect, the more frustration comes," Bollywood's most famous musician said when asked if the thought of holding an Oscar statuette had crossed his mind.
"It'll be a surprise if it comes but so far so good," Rahman said in a telephone interview.
Known for his musical versatility -- from romantic compositions to foot-tapping numbers, Rahman has innovated with different instruments and sounds to create some of India's best-known musical hits for nearly two decades.
Despite earlier international credits such as the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Bombay Dreams," it is Rahman's work on British director Danny Boyle's "Slumdog" that endeared him to Western critics.
The film, nominated for four Golden Globes, is about an orphan from a Mumbai slum who gets a shot at winning millions on the Indian version of the television game show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. "
"I just did the score because I liked Danny Boyle and because it's (about) India, so I thought it would be good to be associated," the 42-year-old composer said.
COMPOSING FOR KYLIE

Not that Rahman was desperate for accolades. His stature as "India's Mozart" means even international celebrities want to work with him.
Australian star Kylie Minogue, chosen from a list of pop divas, will sing for Rahman in his next Bollywood film "Blue."
"There was Beyonce (Knowles) and a couple of other people but we thought Kylie would be the correct choice," the composer said.
"I don't know whether I will just be composing or singing with her as well."
Hollywood may be knocking at his door but Rahman has no plans to leave the Indian film industry.
"Both of them are merging," he said. "It's all connected in a way."
Among his new projects is a Walt Disney co-production -- an Indian film featuring a Japanese actor -- and "Paani" (Water) by "Elizabeth" director Shekhar Kapur.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKTRE4BM2IB20081223?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

ajaybaskar
23rd December 2008, 09:04 PM
Can Music maestro Rahman do it this time around ?

When the director of the film SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, Danny Boyle, which has been nominated in 7 categories for the Golden Globe Awards, claims that it is Rahman who, according to Boyle fancies chances of wining the Golden Globe in his category than any in any other category, it sure is a monumental achievement for the musical acumen of Rahman.

If there is one music director who has whetted the appetite of the Hindi music lovers, and has provided an exposure to songs based on Western classical tunes, but arranged to create an appeal of enigma on the sensibilities of the Indian audience, Rahman is the person. From the time when he made his debut with ROJA up to YUVVRAAJ, Rahman has gone on to explore new frontiers of Western music through his oeuvre. His latest exposition YUVVRAAJ testifies to the same, as he provided a window to the average music aficionado of India to understand the charm that is evoked when the strings of a bow play on the cello.

He is also one music director who has literally cast spell on whole of the country, as his proficiency is expressed through music that he gives in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada films. As a matter of fact, the music of ROJA when it was released in Hindi was the same but with the lyrics being translated into Hindi. From this perspective Rahman could be credited as providing voice over to the music, as it is happening in the case of films being translated from one language to another to reach a large audience. Rahman did the same for the cause of music.

Few of us would also know that Rahman himself has started a school to teach the younger generation about the finer nuances of western music and has the desire to conduct an orchestra with his students.

He has also this innate quality of introducing unconventional voices, and one of the celebrated examples of this association in between Sukhwinder and Rahman. It was Rahman who had unleashed the vocal prowess of Sukhwinder through DIL SE and it is this combination which is on an upward trend in all the music charts around the world, through the song JAI HO, which is a song with a lot of thump. It could be owing to the quotient of thump in the song that it has caught the imagination of the western audience as well, and has catapulted this song as one of the great hits.

Rahman has been scaling new frontiers in the music that he gives to films in Hollywood, and other places, owing to the fact that he gets ample latitude for experimentation. It is owing to the fact that one does not burst into a song as it happens in the Hindi films, and this provides him sufficient scope to further improvise the output. Let JAI HO create a new frontier for the Indian music, more so that is of a popular variety, and belongs to popular genre.

MrIndia
24th December 2008, 03:23 AM
it was a great feeling to read "MUSIC: AR Rehman" at AMC

I loved the movie and music...
one of the best movies of the year..

no one moved from their seat even when the credits were up and running.. they got up only when the jai ho song was over :D :D

A.ANAND
24th December 2008, 08:54 AM
Just a Minute With: A. R. Rahman on "Slumdog Millionaire"

http://in.reuters.com/article/bollywoodNews/idINIndia-37167920081223?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

directhit
24th December 2008, 09:05 AM
[tscii:4112ab0726]
Just a Minute With: A. R. Rahman on "Slumdog Millionaire"
http://in.reuters.com/article/bollywoodNews/idINIndia-37167920081223?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Q: What does a Golden Globe nomination mean for you as an Indian artiste and Indian music as a whole?

A: “I think if it's a good film, it's like a beautiful girl, whatever you put on her, it’s just complementary. A good film demands its own score and if you are a musician, your conscience will never allow you to do something mediocre for a good film.” :lol: :thumbsup:[/tscii:4112ab0726]

Wibha
24th December 2008, 09:29 AM
when SDM first released here it was playing in just Arc Lights

now it's playing in

2 AMC's- 4 shows
Pacific theatres- 3 shows
and in both the Arc Lights

:cool: :clap:

ajaybaskar
24th December 2008, 10:53 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809956055/user

ajaybaskar
24th December 2008, 04:48 PM
[tscii:2effbeb749] It has been included in Time magazine's list of Top 10 Movies of 2008. Did you expect such a response when you were auditioning?
Not at all! I was too busy trying to make it through the audition process. I don't believe in spending time thinking about how a film will do at the box-office since that is beyond my control. I'd rather give the film my best and wait and watch.

Since your co-star Dev Patel has been winning many awards, did you ever wish that the film had centred around your character?

Not at all. This is Dev's first film and he deserves all the nominations he's getting. Dev's win is a win for us all.

Though you've lived in Mumbai, how much of the life in Mumbai slums came as a revelation?
There were a lot of revelations; I wasn't ignorant of life in the Mumbai slums either, since I've interacted with people from all social strata. Call me nosy, but I've always been interested in other people's lives.

Have the directors who have rejected (or not approved of your auditions) changed their stance now?
I haven't ever taken rejection in an unfavourable light. I haven't concentrated on whether I'm getting calls from those people who have rejected me in the past. I don't want to keep score. But yes, being part of Danny's film is a great validation of my talent as an actor.

Wasn't it difficult for Boyle to direct your Hindi portions since he doesn't understand the language at all?
Danny Boyle understands the human language which I think, is what's most important in film-
making. In fact, Danny picked up some Hindi and started using words like 'jaldi karo'. Of course, Loveleen Tandon, the co-director, was always there if he needed.

How much does an Oscar or a Golden Globe mean to you in the context of SM's nominations?

Being nominated is absolutely amazing. The cast and crew have given this film their all. It's wonderful to see audiences and critics alike embrace our efforts.

SM is a lot about surviving in the cut-throat life of contemporary India. How much of cut-throat competition did you witness in the glamour industry? Do you think Fashion was a true portrayal of the modelling world that you come from?

I was busy touring when Fashion released. I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but surely make it a point to do so. The entertainment industry is a cut-throat industry but like in any walk of life, just as you come by people who are genuine and helpful, you will also come across those who want to take you for a ride. It's important to hold your own and not forget the difference between right and wrong.

Deepika Padukone, Mugdha Godse and you have been the most talked about model-turned- actors. If you are to choose one model who could be the next great actor in Bollywood, who would you recommend?

I haven't focussed on other people's careers so cannot name anyone but hey, I haven't done a Bollywood film yet. So, can I vote for myself?

Rahman has been voted for the Golden Globe awards. What's your take on his music?

I like the fact that he blends in all kinds of genres of music and still gives it that AR Rahman signature. The way he's going, there can be a new genre called Rahmanism. The song that's called Latika's theme is picturised on me. It's my favourite too.

What's important for you — a film that wins the critics' votes or commercial success ?

Both. A film that appeals to critics and becomes commercially successful is the perfect blend. Commercial success is very important. One can't be satisfied making a film that is accepted well by critics but doesn't work with audiences. A good film-maker will keep the audience in mind while making a film. After all, it is them who he is primarily making the film for.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_Buzz/I_dont_want_to_compare/articleshow/3880729.cms[/tscii:2effbeb749]

A.ANAND
25th December 2008, 11:52 AM
T-Series acquires Slumdog Millionaire music rights for India
Story By: HETAL ADESARA updated on: 24/12/08

MUMBAI: Indian music major T-Series has acquired the music rights of the surprise hit of this year - Slumdog Millionaire, directed by Danny Boyle.

T-Series chairman and managing director Bhushan Kumar confirmed the development to Businessofcinema.com. The movie will be released in India in January by Fox Star Studios. It stars Anil Kapoor, Irrfan Khan and Dev Patel.

Slumdog Millionaire has so far bagged a total of 50 awards worldwide including four Golden Globe nominations on including Best Picture - Drama, Best Director for Danny Boyle, Best Screenplay for Simon Beaufoy, and Best Original Score for A R Rahman. Apart from this, the movie was also honored with two awards from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, one from the New York Film Critics' Circle, as well as six nominations for the Critics Choice Awards including Best Picture.

A.ANAND
25th December 2008, 11:54 AM
'India's Mozart' receives Oscar buzz for his Slumdog Millionaire score

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=1109357

A.ANAND
25th December 2008, 02:53 PM
[tscii:a3a494933d]Simply Astounding -india.com

Rarely, if ever, does the Western world catch a glimpse into the beauty and majesty of such a dynamic city as Mumbai. Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire" hits the ground running. This is a breathless, exciting story, heartbreaking and exhilarating at the same time.Simon Beautoy’s script, based on Vikas Swarup’s novel, “Q&A,” touches on the life of Jamal Malik (Dev Patel), an impoverished orphan raised in the slums of Mumbai, who unexpectedly reaches the Rs. 20 Million question on India’s version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Accused of cheating, he defends himself against the authorities by narrating his life on the streets - a sequence of mesmerizing tales which hold the key to all his right answers.The film stars newcomer Dev Patel and model turned actress Freida Pinto along with Anil Kapoor and Irfan Khan. A.R Rahman provides the music and boy it is sensational. Rahman lifts off with O…Saya, a song that is, much like the rest of the soundtrack, an electrifying detonation of sound and style. Filled with some riveting electronic tones, Rahman ups the tempo with a breath-taking drumming performance that features throughout the backdrops of this flashy and rhythmic track. Also featuring international biggie M.I.A this song takes the cake.Ringa Ringa brings a slight touch of familiarity to his Indian listeners, the track bears resemblance to the early 90s cult-classic “Choli Ke Peeche”. Rahman infuses the number with a sultry blend of old and new elements, couples it with an alluring melody, and ultimately creates a unique sound that is both traditional and progressive simultaneously. Alka Yagnik's vocals and Raqib Alam’s lyrics culminate the musical trinity of the track with class.Next up is the absolutely gorgeous Dreams On Fire, and just like all the other pieces of Slumdog Millionaire, Rahman has provided a steady blend of east and west – a phenomenon that gives the music its universal textures and borderless emotions. Blaaze and Wendy Parr provide awe inspiring lyrics and Suzanne D’Mello's vocals grab your heart's cockles. Jai Ho is an out-and-out dance track and passes with flying colors thanks to the breezy melodic riffs and trans-genre feel in the arrangements, enabling the song to take you wherever you want it to! Sukhwinder Singh and Tanvi Shah provide some awesome vocals backed by Gulzar's lyrics. Riots marks the beginning of a series of powerful and vigorous thematic pieces by Rahman. While the piece is fairly short, it packs a mighty punch.Mausam & Escape is the best thematic instrumental on the lot! Rahman simply shows off as programmer. He synthesizes a mesmerizingly wicked aura of sound that explodes all over you! The enticing guitars, the heart-pounding bass lines, thrilling sitar plucks, the soul-thumping synths and the haunting orchestral strings bring out the goose bumps.Liquid Dance has Rahman’s orchestral strings that give the piece a hauntingly unique signature. Apart from using some very cool new sounds and effects, Rahman once again blends east and west.Latika’s Theme is the instrumental of the very soulful “Dreams On Fire.” However, Rahman realizes that the beauty of the original song lies within the melodic power and vocal gentleness. Ultimately, it is the sweetest of musical fragrances.Millionaire is perhaps the one and only track that sounds conventional in its production and overall treatment. It is another fast-tempo background piece filled with thumps of bass and panning synths.In Gangsta Blues Rahman lays the cement with a Techno-esque hip-hop rhythm, while also adding some Jazz elements, including some Blues organ sounds. Blaaze struts his stuff with a relaxed reggae ‘n’ rap rendition alongside Tanvi Shah and the end result of which is pure entertainment!SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE’S music is a brilliant landscape of cultural textures, global sounds, and cross-genre transformations. You would be a complete idiot to give this album a miss!

verdic :4.5./5
[/tscii:a3a494933d]

jaiganes
30th December 2008, 11:39 PM
Why did sony not get the contract?
T-Series sucks big time in marketing.
Offcourse such a product needs very little marketing. critics in USA are raving about SDM's music - even the ones who cribbed about WOHE are enjoying.

sureshmehcnit
31st December 2008, 12:05 PM
Check you Rahman quotient

http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/2008/12/check-your-rahman-quotient.html

Answers

http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/2008/12/check-your-rahman-quotient-answers.html

united07
31st December 2008, 06:14 PM
Guys!!! I found this extremely magical!
I just can't describe the feeling..it's out of this world...

click on the link given by surechmechnit above http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/2008/12/check-your-rahman-quotient-answers.html

and simply play all the bgms simultenously!...use your earphone if possible and be ready to be dumbfounded!

SoftSword
31st December 2008, 06:34 PM
yeah i checked it...
its awesome...

lancelot
3rd January 2009, 09:20 AM
[tscii:5c0ca00052]So I downloaded a good copy of Slumdog Millionaire and when O... Saya started playing I had tears in my eyes, I wanted to sing along but was not able to find the words. Thank you, Danny Boyle, for extracting the best from A R Rahman and then giving an awesome movie.

The acting was just beautiful, the story was simple but amazingly well told. The cinematography was top notch. I don’t think I need to mention anything about the music :) but Danny had used the tracks very well. As told lots of times before, he just lets the music play in the background, just lets it flow.

Speechless! :D

hehe
[/tscii:5c0ca00052]

Sanjeevi
3rd January 2009, 11:08 AM
Intha padam hollywoodla sakkai podu poduthu pola (since it is a small film there)

best wishes to ARR

ajaybaskar
5th January 2009, 12:02 PM
best of slumdog millionaire

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=6PakfNizJms&feature=related

SoftSword
5th January 2009, 01:34 PM
[tscii:146753c2ed]So I downloaded a good copy of Slumdog Millionaire and when O... Saya started playing I had tears in my eyes, I wanted to sing along but was not able to find the words. Thank you, Danny Boyle, for extracting the best from A R Rahman and then giving an awesome movie.

The acting was just beautiful, the story was simple but amazingly well told. The cinematography was top notch. I don’t think I need to mention anything about the music :) but Danny had used the tracks very well. As told lots of times before, he just lets the music play in the background, just lets it flow.

Speechless! :D

hehe
[/tscii:146753c2ed]

yeah... there are some improvizations in the tracks when heard in the background... movie is awesome with the music...

ajaybaskar
5th January 2009, 01:37 PM
Where did u watch it SS?

SoftSword
5th January 2009, 02:01 PM
i downloaded and watched... 10 days back....
till now i hav watched in 4 times....

ajaybaskar
5th January 2009, 02:22 PM
How is the movie?

SoftSword
5th January 2009, 02:25 PM
the movie is non-linear at its best...
for the first time watch, u need a proper guide to give u a jist on where the movie starts...

i started loving it since the second time... as first time i was not able to concentrate as i watched it in my home theatre along with the disturbance of my family members...

ajaybaskar
5th January 2009, 02:41 PM
[tscii:9360f43cad]

Presentation of “The 66th Annual Golden Globe Awards” Live telecast on NBC Television at 8 p.m. EST, January 11, 2009, Sunday [/tscii:9360f43cad]

lancelot
5th January 2009, 02:47 PM
the movie is non-linear at its best...
for the first time watch, u need a proper guide to give u a jist on where the movie starts...

i started loving it since the second time... as first time i was not able to concentrate as i watched it in my home theatre along with the disturbance of my family members...

I downloaded it too. Got an awesome copy. Iv watched it three times in the last 3 days :D

But i have to say. SDMs got some stiff competition from the likes of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Revolutionary Road. I am yet to watched Frost/Nixon or The Reader. So lets wait an see...

Music wise, Alexandre Desplat's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button though good, is no match to A R Rahman's SDM. Again i am yet to watch the other three movies nominated for the score, but to be nominated next to names likes of Clint Eastwood, James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer is a great achievement itself

Fingers crossed guys!

hehe

Ramakrishna
5th January 2009, 02:47 PM
NBC television?? India la entha channel?

Nerd
5th January 2009, 08:51 PM
:poke:
But you can watch it online. Sopcast/P2P.

Ramakrishna
5th January 2009, 08:57 PM
:poke:
But you can watch it online. Sopcast/P2P.

link ippave iyyandi 8-)

Nerd
5th January 2009, 09:06 PM
Sopcast player-a launch panni, entertainment-la NBC-ya kandupidibA. But I think some Indian channel will telecast it though..

Oscar nomination list on the 21st right!

Ramakrishna
5th January 2009, 09:30 PM
Nerd gaaru, neengathaan padam paathuteengley, sollunga how are ARR's chances from ur point of view.

Nerd
5th January 2009, 09:42 PM
Nerd gaaru, neengathaan padam paathuteengley, sollunga how are ARR's chances from ur point of view.
Oscars generally sideline Brit movies and directors. So konjam kastam. But chances are really bright for golden globe. Even for oscars, many critics are backing Rahman. But Benjamin Button score is really good I heard. Fingers crossed :shaking:

thamizhvaanan
5th January 2009, 09:43 PM
Epdi irundhaalum, I reckon best original song slot is booked.

Seems like Bruce Springsteen did a song for "The wrestler". How is it? Anybody? :huh:

lancelot
5th January 2009, 10:16 PM
Oscars generally sideline Brit movies and directors. So konjam kastam. But chances are really bright for golden globe. Even for oscars, many critics are backing Rahman. But Benjamin Button score is really good I heard. Fingers crossed :shaking:

Alexandre Desplat's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button score was bloody damn good... but my personal view is that it wont stand against SDM... i may be wrong though... hope i am right :)

hehe

lancelot
5th January 2009, 10:26 PM
Epdi irundhaalum, I reckon best original song slot is booked.

Seems like Bruce Springsteen did a song for "The wrestler". How is it? Anybody? :huh:

funny you should mention, i just finished watching The Wrestler, Darren Aronofsky proved again that he is a master movie maker... loved the fact that the camera never staid still not for one second... lovely... and the hype about Mickey Rourke performance... well it stood up to it... wonderful performance by him... awesome

coming to the point :D The Wrestler - Bruce Springsteen is a beautiful song. But my money is on Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. I loved that song as much as loved that movie :)

wish A R Rahman's SDM can stand against The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and the others...

hehe

Ramakrishna
6th January 2009, 02:21 PM
Listen to the music bit from this link http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3c32bba3a08a0f4891b20cc0d07ba4d23bec1af1 17ecc626 and
compare it with Liquid dance from Slumdog Millionaire

SoftSword
6th January 2009, 02:27 PM
ram, u recorded it from the movie DVD?

Ramakrishna
6th January 2009, 02:33 PM
ram, u recorded it from the movie DVD?

i didn't recorded it. I downloaded it somewhere when ATM movie released.

SoftSword
6th January 2009, 02:36 PM
somewhere in the sense?
atm was released more than a year back...

and arr has taken only 3 weeks to compose the music for this movie SDM... in any case he would not hav started his work before august...

maybe arr reused it from his old composition?

more than 75% the music is the same as that of liquid dance...

Ramakrishna
6th January 2009, 02:40 PM
somewhere in the sense?

and arr has taken only 3 weeks to compose the music for this movie... in any case he would not hav started his work before august...

maybe arrreused it from his old composition?

Somewhere in the sense... our community or Vijay's community.

I am damn sure that this is a part of ATM BGM. It comes during the title credits as well as during the intro of second Vijay. I very well remember. Infact i mentioned about this in this very thread immediately after listening to SDM forthe first time.

SoftSword
6th January 2009, 02:58 PM
somewhere in the sense?

and arr has taken only 3 weeks to compose the music for this movie... in any case he would not hav started his work before august...

maybe arrreused it from his old composition?

Somewhere in the sense... our community or Vijay's community.

I am damn sure that this is a part of ATM BGM. It comes during the title credits as well as during the intro of second Vijay. I very well remember. Infact i mentioned about this in this very thread immediately after listening to SDM forthe first time.

exactly...
watch from 2:33
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9L1FC8F04

rashid2raj
6th January 2009, 06:41 PM
ARR also resused bgm from climax scene in Kannatthil mutthamiddal for the song milo wahan wahan, from Ada movie. Between, what happened to Ada movie?

ajaybaskar
6th January 2009, 07:23 PM
KM BGM was top class...Especially when the kid hugs nandita das finally...It was like the kid bursting out with tears which was made into music...

prasana84
6th January 2009, 08:10 PM
Alexandre Desplat - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Clint Eastwood - Changeling

John Newton Howard - Defiance

A. R. Rahman - Slumdog Millionaire

Hans Zimmer - Frost/Nixon

Guess jan 11 is the golden globe awards :shaking:

prasana84
6th January 2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.film.com/features/story/golden-globe-nominations-2009-reaction/25010163

A.ANAND
6th January 2009, 08:23 PM
The soundtrack of Slumdog Millionaire
inly cards

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arrahmanfans/3173736730/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arrahmanfans/3172881455/sizes/o/

directhit
6th January 2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.film.com/features/story/golden-globe-nominations-2009-reaction/25010163

Best Original Score

Should win: Slumdog Millionaire
Will win: Slumdog Millionaire 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Its live telecast for us at Monday morning 9 AM :banghead: can see only the retelecast at night 11 :cry3:

littlemaster1982
6th January 2009, 09:26 PM
inly cards

CDs are out??!!!! :shock:

Dragun
7th January 2009, 04:05 AM
It is missing the two versions of Paper Planes and Aaj Ki Raat. Also, the artwork is cheesy compared to the US release.

A.ANAND
7th January 2009, 06:43 AM
Fox Star Studios to release Slumdog with 200 prints in India
Story By: ROHINI BHANDARI updated on: 06/01/09

MUMBAI: Globally acclaimed movie Slumdog Millionaire directed by Danny Boyle will finally hit Indian theatres on 23 January. The film's distributors Fox Star Studios will release the movie with approximately 200 prints in India.

These 200 prints will comprise the English version and also the Hindi dubbed version, which has been re-titled as Slumdog Crorepati.

Fox Star Studios CEO Vijay Singh says, "Slumdog Millionaire is an Indian movie and every Indian must see it, hence we are releasing the movie in two versions."

Even as the word 'Millionaire' in the film's title has been translated in Hindi to 'Crorepati' to make it more coherent for Indian market, the word Slumdog has still been retained. To this Singh says, "Slumdog Millionaire is ultimately going to be referred to and remembered as 'Slumdog' only, hence we thought it best to retain the word Slumdog in the film's Hindi title."

Out of the total print count of 200, more prints of the Hindi version language will be released and distributed in territories as per requirement. The number of prints will be increased later in accordance to the response for the movie.

The movie stars Anil Kapoor, Irrfan Khan and Dev Patel.

A.ANAND
7th January 2009, 06:55 AM
inly cards

CDs are out??!!!! :shock:

yes!the audio cd is out in india yesterday! :D

A.ANAND
7th January 2009, 12:30 PM
Bollywood arrives at Golden Globes

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Mumbai/Bollywood_arrives_at_Golden_Globes/articleshow/3944015.cms

A.ANAND
7th January 2009, 12:34 PM
'Slumdog Millionaire' -- music launched
1/7/2009 9:01:56 AM

A still from Slumdog Millionaire

Here's another salute to the cult classic -- 'Slumdog Millionaire'. With the producers' 'Guild Awards' came the launch of Rahman's super successful music. And the launched reflected the camaradrie shared by the film's team.

The awards and accolades apart, it's the global recognition that brings a smile to the faces of the film's actors. "We are all Indian and they must have really done something special for us to be nominated. This is the first time this has happened", a very thrilled Anil Kapoor said.

Lovellen Tandon Co-director interprets the films music, "It's like Danie Boyle meets Hollywood because it's neither Bollywood, nor Hollywood."

And a very happy Irrfan Khan tells us what the films music means to him, "It's a recognition of your talent and it does well for the market also, fulfills both purposes."

With a 'Golden Globe' nomination and many other awards to back the film's music, 'Slumdog Millionaire' adds another laurel to A R Rahman's already full kitty this season, as for the run up to the 'Oscars', "The oscars -- thats the big daddy, and you never know, so its better that we enjoy the release of this music process... the success of the film," added Anil Kapoor.

(By Archita Kashyap)

Guess_Me
7th January 2009, 12:52 PM
Wonder why T-Series doesn't list it at their online store. It would have been a convenient option to buy.

ajaybaskar
7th January 2009, 01:10 PM
Wonder why T-Series doesn't list it at their online store. It would have been a convenient option to buy.

Audio release on 8th..

http://www.bollyadda.com/2009/01/slumdog-crorepati-slumdog-crorepati.html

A.ANAND
8th January 2009, 02:48 PM
[tscii:55e165c0af]A.R.Rahman nominated for 2008 OFCS Awards

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (-) Alexandre Desplat
The Dark Knight (-) James Newton Howard & Hans Zimmer
Milk (-) Danny Elfman
Slumdog Millionaire (-) A.R. Rahman
WALL•E (-) Thomas Newman

Slumdog Millionaire has got 7 nominations in total - Picture,
Director. Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Score,
Breakthrough Performance (Dev Patel).

The awards will be announced tomorrow (8 Jan)
[/tscii:55e165c0af]
source:arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com

lancelot
8th January 2009, 05:54 PM
[tscii:5c1d76da43]A.R.Rahman nominated for 2008 OFCS Awards

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Milk (-) Danny Elfman
WALL•E (-) Thomas Newman

[/tscii:5c1d76da43]

OFCS - The Online Film Critics Society
hehe

prasana84
8th January 2009, 09:32 PM
[tscii:3164e61308]A.R.Rahman nominated for 2008 OFCS Awards

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Milk (-) Danny Elfman
WALL•E (-) Thomas Newman

[/tscii:3164e61308]

OFCS - The Online Film Critics Society
hehe
Its not 8 jan 18th jan :confused2:

http://efilmcritic.com/feature.php?feature=2629

prasana84
8th January 2009, 09:35 PM
Predictions

http://www.thefilmexperience.net/Awards/2008/tech2.html

directhit
9th January 2009, 06:30 AM
first target Jan 11th 8-) then Oscar :P

lancelot
9th January 2009, 08:35 AM
DGA Nominations (Directors Guild of America)

Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon

Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight

Gus Van Sant, Milk

keep in mind that DGA contains people from the Oscar panel... :)

hehe

A.ANAND
9th January 2009, 08:48 AM
ARR wins BCFA award, 9 Januari, 2009

AR won the best composer award for SDM.He thanked Danny, producer and jury.And finally he said. "ITS FOR INDIA"

source: arrahman@yahoo.groups.com
:clap: :clap: :2thumbsup: :notworthy: :clap: :swinghead:

A.ANAND
9th January 2009, 10:11 AM
Critics Choice Awards

Best Comedy Movie: Tropic Thunder
Best Acting Ensemble: Milk
Best Young Actor/Actress: Dev Patel
Best Writer: Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Action Film: The Dark Knight
Best Composer: A.R. Rahman, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Song: Bruce Springsteen, The Wrestler
Best Documentary: Man On Wire
Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader
Best Foreign Language Film: Waltz With Bashir

http://www.awardsda ily.com/? p=5696

Nerd
9th January 2009, 10:14 AM
And here's the video:
http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=1602193&vid=330087

Says, this is for India!! What a moment for India and thamizhs :clap: :bow:

idhukkE ipdinA, kodak theater, LA-la mattum award kidaikkattum :shaking:

A.ANAND
9th January 2009, 10:17 AM
A.R.RAHMAN AT 14th annual Critics' Choice Awards

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/entertainment/x613395633/Gallery-Critics-Choice-Awards

littlemaster1982
9th January 2009, 10:19 AM
:notworthy: :notworthy:

ajaybaskar
9th January 2009, 10:25 AM
When was it announced?

ArulprakasH
9th January 2009, 10:33 AM
:clap: :notworthy: :clap: :notworthy: :clap: :notworthy:

ajaybaskar
9th January 2009, 10:40 AM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

directhit
9th January 2009, 10:54 AM
:bow: :bow:

lancelot
9th January 2009, 11:03 AM
AWESOME!!!!! many many more to come :D
hehe

thamizhvaanan
9th January 2009, 11:27 AM
:2thumbsup: :clap: :notworthy: :clap: :notworthy: :clap: :notworthy: :2thumbsup:

directhit
9th January 2009, 11:31 AM
ayyoooooooo monday mornin leave poda romba tempt pannudhe :oops:

lancelot
9th January 2009, 11:34 AM
ayyoooooooo monday mornin leave poda romba tempt pannudhe :oops:

same here dude... :( I HATE WORK!!!
hehe

thamizhvaanan
9th January 2009, 11:35 AM
And here's the video:
http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=1602193&vid=330087

Says, this is for India!! What a moment for India and thamizhs :clap: :bow:

idhukkE ipdinA, kodak theater, LA-la mattum award kidaikkattum :shaking:

As they were listing one stalwart after another and finally when they mentioned ARR in the same league, already I was getting goosebumps. And finally when the award came up :notworthy: :notworthy:

Wibha
9th January 2009, 11:49 AM
I just saw the video :notworthy: :notworthy:

ARR was so modest :D :D :D :D

SoftSword
9th January 2009, 12:03 PM
BOSS... u made India proud...

hamid
9th January 2009, 01:23 PM
ARR :notworthy: :thumbsup:
:clap::clap::clap:

A.ANAND
9th January 2009, 01:24 PM
Rahman bags yet another plum award
IndiaGlitz [Friday, January 09, 2009]

Slumdog Millionaire, the rags-to-riches story of a Mumbai slum dweller, has bagged five prestigious prizes including the Best Composer Award for Indian music maestro A R Rahman at the Broadcast Film Critics Association's 14th annual Critics Choice Awards.

British Director Danny Boyle's Indian drama was a big hit at the award ceremony last night. It won Best Film, Best Director for Danny Boyle, Best Writer for Simon Beaufoy, Best Young Actor for Dev Patel and Best Composer for A R Rahman.

The Broadcast Film Critics Association's 14th annual Critics Choice Awards (BFCA), which took place at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium recently, is the largest film critics organization, with more than 200 members in the US and Canada.

A.ANAND
9th January 2009, 01:36 PM
a.r.rahman-ah? illa a.r.raman-ah? :lol:

Wibha
9th January 2009, 02:16 PM

i know :twisted:

i was kinda irritated :evil:

ajaybaskar
9th January 2009, 03:41 PM

தலைவர்தான் மதம், இனம், மொழி இவற்றிற்கு அப்பாற்பட்டவராச்சே.... :D