PDA

View Full Version : worth emulating

padmanabha
31st August 2007, 06:51 PM
yeaterday shaji a teacher serving at kilimanoor girls higher secondary high school wedded Sreeja.
so what you may ask.
the wedding sans pomp and other extravaganza. The bride and the groom decked in very ordinary dress, decided to spend the amount set aside for the wedding worthy. even no invitation cards were printed.
The family members supported the new thought. They gave free medical aid to 41 ailing aged people. they supplied study materials to 35 primary school children. and uniform to 30 upper primary school children. They supplied books to la few rural libraries.
don't you think it is worth emulating?!

dev
31st August 2007, 07:09 PM
Definitely...:)

madhu
31st August 2007, 07:25 PM
:yes:

P_R
31st August 2007, 09:04 PM
The joy of meeting up with family and friends and celebrating together with music, feast and ceremonies is a beautiful, enjoyable and highly memorable experience.
Most of us recall the past, where memories are punctuated by these festivities. So celebrations need not necessarily be shunned. :-)

Of course we go overboard in our pomp and celebrations many times, that further underlines the beautiful simplicity and the meaningful actions of the couple. :clap:

But we can still work while we work and play while we play as long as we strike a reasonable balance. Reasonable to whom ? Hmm... ay, there lies the rub ! :confused:

Lambretta
31st August 2007, 10:02 PM
The joy of meeting up with family and friends and celebrating together with music, feast and ceremonies is a beautiful, enjoyable and highly memorable experience.
Most of us recall the past, where memories are punctuated by these festivities. So celebrations need not necessarily be shunned. :-)
Of course we go overboard in our pomp and celebrations many times, that further underlines the beautiful simplicity and the meaningful actions of the couple. :clap:
But we can still work while we work and play while we play as long as we strike a reasonable balance.
:yes: :exactly:

Roshan
31st August 2007, 10:06 PM

:exactly:

:yes:

But we can still work while we work and play while we play as long as we strike a reasonable balance.

Very true !

Reasonable to whom ? Hmm... ay, there lies the rub ! :confused:

hehe enakkum athE conpeesanthAn :noteeth:

pavalamani pragasam
31st August 2007, 10:12 PM

Ditto!

rajraj
31st August 2007, 10:22 PM
Of course we go overboard in our pomp and celebrations many times, .........
But we can still work while we work and play while we play as long as we strike a reasonable balance. Reasonable to whom ? Hmm... ay, there lies the rub ! :confused:

Reminds me of a wedding we attended a few months back. Our friends decided to have a lavish wedding for their daughter and spent over $500K ( more than Rs two crores) . The local newspaper covered it and spent a few pages. We had to put up with a few nasty comments from our American friends. Another Indian warned the parents that letting the newspaper cover it was a blunder and that Indians were likely to be robbed. Sure enough, a few weeks later two Indian homes were broken into! :(

They thought it was reasonable! :) It is all relative.

app_engine
31st August 2007, 10:34 PM
Funny couple (who apparently do not know the meaning of "fun"):-)

I'm for helping others, charitable acts etc. and am personally very active on that front. All year, all life around.

However, why should those be confused with a wedding day? A wedding is a joyous occasion -not just for the bride & groom but for the whole village / community (or that's what it used to be in the past)...It also provides for a communion meal where everyone in the village takes part, apart from having some merriment. Whether they choose to invite in person or send an invitation is absolutely a matter of convenience (what people would've done before printing press was invented...)...One of my close friends took a computer printout / xeroxed and distributed as invitation (in Palakkad)...while some of us considered it as odd, it was just different...personal choice...

While I don't support extravaganza, pomp etc., having some fun within one's means, at least on the wedding day, is absolutely proper and definitely required. How else can one have fun than having "new" outfits and good food for self and the close ones - not expensive but something special- better than the every-day ones?

More importantly, they should think in all seriousness about the life-long commitment of the bride & groom into the family arrangement. That's much more serious than doing any charity on that day, for which they have the whole life prior and after.

Things such as library / books / medicine etc. can be reserved for some other day and in my book, they don't have a place on wedding day.

To emulate such weirdO's? Gimme a break!

Lambretta
31st August 2007, 11:17 PM
Well, regardless of emulating this eg. for charity or not, I'd like to have a simple ceremony done.....was jus thinkin bout it this morning....w/ or w/out the pomp & extravaganza (NOT that I'm against it!) its more important that the wedding be a day worth remembering for the bride & groom.....so I guess yea, I'd be ok with a simple ceremony......well tats jus my personal opinion! :)

app_engine
31st August 2007, 11:42 PM
Obviously it's a matter of personal choice how much simple or grand one wants to have their wedding day. As long as it doesn't hurt the family's financial condition...and as long as these paraphernalia do not take away the seriousness of marital commitment...

I'm only questioning this "show" business of charity on any special occasion. Why should one wait to get married to donate? Or wait for the b'day or x'mas or something like that to help needy ones?

More importantly, why should one make a show out of donations / helping needy ones? I'm totally against any "blowing of trumpets" when charitable act is carried out...well some may say, that encourages others to take part in similar acts...which is debatable...but is not the motive more of self-glorification?...

aanaa
1st September 2007, 12:53 AM
wedding day --> memorial day
they always have time after the wedding to give books/ charity works
-->
personal things

dev
1st September 2007, 06:10 AM

rbow
1st September 2007, 07:32 AM
reasonable to the conscience, may be !

padmanabha
1st September 2007, 06:35 PM
NOW
MORE WASTAGE MEANS GRAND WEDDING!
I HAVE SEEN WEDDING CARDS RUNNING PAGES AND PAGES.
HERE IN KERALA MINIMUM 100 SOVERIGNS HAS BECOME VERY COMMON.
A FEW YEARS BACK I HAPPENED TO ATTEND THE ROYAL WEDDING OF BHARANI TIRUNAL THAMPURATTI, THE PRINCES. SHE WORE ONLYONE PAALAKKA MAALA. AND FOUR BANGLES.
NOW THE BRIDE LOOKS LIKE MOBILE JEWELRY SHOP.
JEWELRY SHOPS HAVE COME FORWARD TO HIRE ORNAMENTS AGAINST PROPERTY. YOU CAN RETURN IT AFTER THE WEDDING AND THEY WILL CHARGE 20 TO 25 THOUSANDS!
HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?

Lambretta
1st September 2007, 11:36 PM
JEWELRY SHOPS HAVE COME FORWARD TO HIRE ORNAMENTS AGAINST PROPERTY. YOU CAN RETURN IT AFTER THE WEDDING AND THEY WILL CHARGE 20 TO 25 THOUSANDS!
HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?
:shock: :roll: :oops:

pavalamani pragasam
2nd September 2007, 07:57 AM
A shameful trend! Hired pride?!Huh!

Sanguine Sridhar
2nd September 2007, 08:26 AM
even no invitation cards were printed.

silly! :roll:

pavalamani pragasam
2nd September 2007, 08:32 AM
Overenthusiasm becomes ridiculous!

Roshan
2nd September 2007, 08:39 PM
NOW THE BRIDE LOOKS LIKE MOBILE JEWELRY SHOP.
HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?

:shock: :sigh2: :banghead: :banghead:

padmanabha
8th September 2007, 09:37 AM
[tscii:d71abc60a2]Binoy is getting married.
He wanted to do something unique for his wedding.
Therefore, he made separate cards for all the invitees. :D
The card carried the caricature of the invitee.
For his visually handicapped friends he made Braille cards. :goodidea:
In each card, he shared his one pleasant memoir with the invitee. :clap:
All cards are hand made. Manoj helped in caricature.
Binoy himself wrote the content. Thomas made the Braille card.
Binoy made one for the bride too. :wink:
He invited her to his life with a note
“ENDE HRUDAYAM NEEKOODI SOOKSHIKKUKA”
[/tscii:d71abc60a2]

Shakthiprabha.
8th September 2007, 09:44 AM
hmm.... :)

:thumbsup: for all nice point of views.

Roshan
8th September 2007, 04:31 PM
[tscii:22e1ce5fb3]Binoy is getting married.
He wanted to do something unique for his wedding.
Therefore, he made separate cards for all the invitees. :D
The card carried the caricature of the invitee.
For his visually handicapped friends he made Braille cards. :goodidea:
In each card, he shared his one pleasant memoir with the invitee. :clap:
All cards are hand made. Manoj helped in caricature.
Binoy himself wrote the content. Thomas made the Braille card.
Binoy made one for the bride too. :wink:
He invited her to his life with a note
[/tscii:22e1ce5fb3]

Wow !! That's something lovely !! :thumbsup:

crazy
8th September 2007, 04:33 PM
[tscii:1d133060e1]padmanabhan anna
whats that written on malayaalam?

ende = my
hrudayam= idayam, heart
neekoodi = nee (you) koodi (kudi irukkiradhu, stay )

sookshikkuka = ? [/tscii:1d133060e1]

padmanabha
8th September 2007, 05:47 PM
sookshikkuka = take care of, keep in safe custody,

crazy
8th September 2007, 05:49 PM
aha....nice :thumbsup:

Lambretta
8th September 2007, 09:52 PM
[tscii]padmanabha anna
:notthatway: Anna illai, avanga akka! :P :D