PDA

View Full Version : Which is the last Bollywood film you saw ?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Sunil_M88
24th June 2011, 08:26 PM
I recently caught Delhi 6 and saw it properly for the first time. I think it is one of the most powerful films ever to be executed in India and is one of those movies which you either get or don’t get (IMO, Mani Ratnam’s, Raavan falls in the same category). Raykesh Mehra definitely deserves laurels for even attempting to direct such a difficult subject. The stereotypical Indian audience didn’t give this movie a second chance and therefore the word of mouth sent around negative waves. People wrote it off as a silly and non-sense comedy.
A lot of effort has sincerely gone into making the script immaculate and right from the beginning to the climax nearly every scene as well as song was thoroughly thought provoking. The film deals with various taboo matters i.e. caste, religious conflicts and portrayal of the Indian woman, but depicts these subjects in a light-hearted and family orientated way. I think the director took this light approach so he could target the mainstream audience. This could’ve easily been an art house movie if certain names weren’t related to this project.
The film commences with the news of a Kala bandhar (black monkey) roaming the streets of Delhi causing havoc and chaos. As a viewer I was thinking what direction is this story going in? After this, the title credits rolled with a stage drama of a Hindu play in the backdrop. Once credits concluded, the movie shifts to USA, where we are introduced to the main character, Roshan, the NRI (Abhishek Bachchan) whose grandma/dadi (Waheeda Rahman) isn’t well and one of her wishes is to visit India before she dies. This is where Roshan steps in and says that he is ready to take his grandma to India. Roshan’s parents belong to different religions (Islam and Hinduism) which is the reason why his parents have ongoing family politics with his relatives in India. Once Roshan and his grandma reach India the rest of the film revolves around Roshan and his encounters.
Upon arrival of Roshan and his grandma in India, we are introduced to various colourful characters that fill the role of the neighbourhood where Roshan’s ancestral property resides: Bittu (Sonam Kapoor) is the daughter of one of Roshan’s neighbours. She represents the new wave of the Indian female, she aspires to be someone famous and therefore enters Indian idol (Mumbai) without the permission of her orthodox dad. Jalebi (Divya Dutta) is a gypsy, who is neglected in society as she belongs to the untouchable caste. Gobar (Atul Kulkarni) is a half-wit, which people use and abuse for their gains. Mamdu (Deepak Dobriyal) is Muslim and owns a store of traditional Indian sweets. There is also a Hindu Tantric priest who indirectly accuses the Muslims for the errors happenings in the area i.e. the arrival of the Kala bandhar. Lastly, there is the ignored Fakir who walks the streets with a mirror trying to show everybody their faces. Although there are other actors present in the movie, the ones mentioned above are the turning point substance of the movie.
There are a number of scenes that deserve a mention: A traffic hurdle triggered by a ceremony of a cow going into labour. Caught in the midst of this traffic are Roshan, his grandma and other friends/relatives who are going to hospital as grandma’s blood level stoops dramatically. Roshan is astonished when he witnesses his grandma has been healed after coming into contact with the cow. Other important scenes include, Bittu rejecting a marital proposal, an ill-mannered policeman cursing Jalebi, Hindu Tantric priest performing a ceremony to find the cause behind the Kala bandhar and Gobar being set the task of finding the Kala bandhar’s hair for the priest.
A diverse set of messages can be learnt from this movie. The one I found to be the most enlightening was, there is no point in waiting for a messiah or a prophet to come to restore harmony in this world because if we look deep in to ourselves, it is already lurking somewhere inside us. In addition to this my personal belief is there is no need in worrying about the Anti-Christ, Illuminati, NWO, etc. This message is wonderfully and poetically displayed by Prasoon Joshi in the verses of Noor. This message has also been delivered in Michael Jackson’s Man In The Mirror, where there is a verse citing, “If you wana make the world a better place then look at yourself in the mirror and make the change.” Recently this message was put forth by A.R. Rahman in Maaralante from Puli.
The music of this film is as vital as the characters as it carries the narration forward. A.R. Rahman and Prasoon Joshi equally don the title of a captaining the music department. The album kicks off with Masakali (Dove), a song which represents individualism, freedom and independence. The deeper meaning of this song implies that people often end up becoming clones of one another because of strict rules and peer pressure. The song begins with an ecstatic hum by Mohit Chauhan and the line which remains lingering after the song finishes is, “Uddiyo uddiyo... naa dariyo”, which translates to, fly freely without being scared. This line appears before the beats pace up creating a carefree carnival atmosphere. Upon release this song became the anthem of the nation which it rightly was and it is still in the charts. ARR provides a Latin feel to the track with a signature accordion. Next to come is the title song, starting with distorted/electric bass and guitar chords. The fresh arrangement and the French lyrics illustrate that the capital Delhi is a harmonious city where everyone from all races and places live with friendship. The song, Genda Phool is a traditional folk song which merges with groovy beats and a pulsating bass. In the film it shows Roshan adjusting to the Indian culture. Where the folk aspect represents tradition, the groovy beats represent the urban culture and the song shows the marriage of two ways of life. Dil gira comes when Roshan opens up about his affection and respect for Bittu. It is the best picturised song of the film and by far one of the best picturised songs from the Indian Film Industry. See it for yourself here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9snY21B_tQ. It is Roshan’s dream where New York comes to Delhi or vice versa. The Celtic and oriental interludes uplift this song with a surreal presence. Chinmayi’s verse, “Kyon gunj rahi hai dhadkan... Kushbuyon mein lipata mausam.” is an innovative line which in English converts to, why is my heartbeat echoing throughout the universe? All seasons can be experienced from your fragrance. Next is ARRs Rehna tu, an experimental song which says, you should stay as you are. It is another love song like Dil gira. The extended fingerboard continnum postlude is divine to say the least. Here is an instrumental version of the song produced by the late and dearly respected Aakash Shah, please do hear with your eyes closed - http://soundcloud.com/wiredbeats/rehna-tu-unfinished-version-of. Ustaad Bade Ghulam Khan’s Bhor bhaye (Raag Gujri thodi) is sampled for the next track which shares the same name. A.R. Rahman gives Shreya Ghosal’s voice an old vinyl tint so that it blends in with the sample. Bittu’s dances to this song in her audition for the Indian idol competition. Hey Kala bandhar starts with a Middle Eastern lead before a Rock and Rap mood is set. The police sirens iterate crimes caused by the Kala bandhar. In the climax of the film we become aware that the Kala bandhar is a conspiracy and a simple message is conveyed by Roshan highlighting us humans must defeat the Kala bandhar i.e. the bad behaviour within us, before we find faults in others. The Kala bandhar can be related to the Devil who was the first racist in the world opposing God. He is always out to misguide uss and cause division amongst people. This brings me to Arziyan and the Aarti. While the former is Qawwali with an Islamic base the later is a Hindu devotional song. The inspiring acoustic guitar plucks and harmonium notes in Arziyan give strength to this already emotional song. Both songs pay respect to the corresponding religions but in my opinion religion is a synonym is for division, it has divided people as well as God. Religion might be the root of evil but God certainly isn’t and shouldn’t be divided or be bracketed like a dove (Relate to Maskali) into a cage i.e. Religion.
Coming back to Amitabh Bachchan’s Noor, I would like to share the translation of Prasoon Joshi’s poem - In every spec there is His/Her light, look within yourself, he/she is not far from you, if you love (the word used here could also be translated to, ardour, obsession) him/her then love everyone else, this prayers rule is this, in this, and in that it is He/She, my friend is omnipotent (in the essence of everything). It is a very nice though that says that god is inside us, inside every one of us therefore we should never really discriminate anyone, or hurt anyone - as nothing is hidden from god.
In a nutshell, while India is prospering, the majority of the population are still in a time warp where superstition and tradition dictate people’s lives. The corrupt police man and priest depict that people with authority are the real fools while the neglected simpletons like Gobar, Jalebi and the Fakir are underestimated for their wisdom.
It’s a shame this film didn’t get the acceptance it deserved but thankfully the music saw the better side of things.

Here is R.D. Burman’s song from the burning train that pays tribute the spirit of humanity -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvjORuq8U8Y

Querida
25th June 2011, 12:19 PM
"Tanu Weds Manu"

Should have listened to my sis and stayed away from this movie but got lured in by the songs
unrealistic and so forced it's annoying
Tanu's character is provocative yet there is no reaction/action because of it that is even the least bit realistic
Manu is beyond understanding...it's like that trend of movies where Murali was beyond selfless and self-sacrificial...

Plus point was the songs and that's about it for me.

roosevelt92
25th June 2011, 01:15 PM
Dabbang nice action movie

Nerd
25th June 2011, 07:36 PM
'Shor in the city'. Does not work as a 'qOlity' film. Pretentious and very wanna-be. But works extremely well as a time-pass film. Some characters are beautifully etched. Worth watching.

ajithfederer
27th June 2011, 12:36 AM
Wab me Jet :rotfl:. Ippo than paakuren. Kareena :thumbsup:. Funny at many places. Shahid is good. Nocturnal timepass.

littlemaster1982
2nd July 2011, 11:28 PM
'Shor in the city'. Does not work as a 'qOlity' film. Pretentious and very wanna-be. But works extremely well as a time-pass film. Some characters are beautifully etched. Worth watching.

Somehow the film didn't work for me. I'm a fan of the director duo's earlier films (Flavors, 99), but this one left me cold. There were few very good scenes, but that's all about it.

AudazJay
4th July 2011, 10:12 AM
"Tanu Weds Manu"

Should have listened to my sis and stayed away from this movie but got lured in by the songs
unrealistic and so forced it's annoying
Tanu's character is provocative yet there is no reaction/action because of it that is even the least bit realistic
Manu is beyond understanding...it's like that trend of movies where Murali was beyond selfless and self-sacrificial...

Plus point was the songs and that's about it for me.

I totally second you on this. At each point of the film, I was looking to see if there'll be any turn of events that will make the movie a tad more interesting. There was none and the film turned out to be nothing but a big mokkai :banghead:

roosevelt92
5th July 2011, 12:55 PM
Guzzarish movie made on very different theme hritik is the actor in that movie with ashwariya rai ...

Nerd
6th July 2011, 05:55 PM
Somehow the film didn't work for me. I'm a fan of the director duo's earlier films (Flavors, 99), but this one left me cold. There were few very good scenes, but that's all about it.

I think thats because they had a number of narratives hanging in the air without having a grip on any of them. I don't know what was the point of the film. Only the Radhika Apte - Tushar Kapoor thread was interesting. :-)

Haven't seen their earlier works..

Plum
7th July 2011, 10:50 AM
Rom Com-la lAm big turn of events irukkAdhAm - adhellAm apdiyE rasikkaNumAm - Baradwaj Rangan sonnadhu. namma KampfleakEttar kooda EdhO Rom Com association presidentAmAm. adhai rasikka oru thani manappAnmai vENumAm. idhellAM namakku piriyAdhu pOla :oops:

MADDY
7th July 2011, 12:18 PM
Rom Com-la lAm big turn of events irukkAdhAm - adhellAm apdiyE rasikkaNumAm - Baradwaj Rangan sonnadhu. namma KampfleakEttar kooda EdhO Rom Com association presidentAmAm. adhai rasikka oru thani manappAnmai vENumAm. idhellAM namakku piriyAdhu pOla :oops:

correct dhaan..........the tone of the movie stays same throughout......but TWM had problems of cliche - too many cliches, probably thats why movie worked @BO(sandhula sindhu) ........

thats why i rate Imtiaz Ali's movies very high - he has taken this genre to a new level with his great dialogues and unstable characters........ofcourse JTYJN is like the guide book for "how to make rom-coms" with its multi layered characterisation, multiple sub-plots, amazing timing in dialogues, great music - adhulerndhu students can take references and make their own rom-coms :D .....even band baaja baarat was an excellent rom-com.......indhi cinema, indhi cinema dhaan, innamum :lol2:

however, TWM was surely a very boring movie inspite of Madhavan in it :-(

kid-glove
7th July 2011, 01:25 PM
Not a big fan of the genre. But where does AP, VTV, etc feature?!

Plum
7th July 2011, 02:09 PM
Rom but not com

kid-glove
7th July 2011, 02:11 PM
Oh. com means comedy-ah..

Plum
7th July 2011, 03:06 PM
yeah, enakkum romba nAL theriyAdhu. ellAm namma GRCA president(Kampflea) and secy(Brangan) comment space-la pEsikkaRadhai vechu kaNdu pidichadhu dhAn..

littlemaster1982
11th July 2011, 09:04 PM
Haven't seen their earlier works..

Try to watch '99'. I'm not sure if you would like 'Flavors'.

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
11th July 2011, 11:03 PM
Saw Murder 2 !! Emraan - :thumbsup:

Nice Plot !

Music - :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Power packed bloody film !!

Aye Khuda song rocked the theatre ! :notworthy:

jinju
14th July 2011, 06:34 PM
Saw Murder 2 !!

Nice Plot !

copied one:mrgreen:

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
15th July 2011, 09:25 AM
copied one:mrgreen:

I know that !! But still the film was gud ! :D

jinju
16th July 2011, 09:28 AM
Watched ZNMD yesterday. The film has its merits, especially Zoya Akhtar and Reema Kagti's screenplay and the characterisation of the 3 male leads, but the inspirations are all too obvious. First half is a parody of DCH, second half has some 'dum' in it, with the indomitable Naseeruddin Shah stealing the show in the couple of scenes that he's there! But really, haven't we seen enough of this 'coming of age' stuff from Bolly...right from DCH to RDB to 3I to WUS to Udaan, we've seen this 'boys becoming men' aracha maavu. Only the packaging and conflicts are different! If it was the NRI romances that bugged Bolly in the mid 90s to the start of the millennium, this decade it seems to be the 'coming of age bug'. Move on Bollywood! By the by, the film is one-time watchable if one is ready to endure the 2 hour 40 minute duration.

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
16th July 2011, 11:06 PM
What 2h 40m !! :shock:

Querida
17th July 2011, 02:59 AM
Watched "Once Upon a Time in Mumbai"

nice movie overall, nice touch with flashback, almost missed this one due to inclusion of the "serial kisser"
Ajay tries to play a gold-hearted character with dark childhood...emphasis on tries
Kangana as always good at playing the aloof missy not snarky as she usually is in this role
*Spoiler* it made no good sense to me why EH was even given trusted in the first place with taking care of the business when Ajay had to go to Delhi....it felt more like a convenient way to get to the ending. :roll:

jinju
17th July 2011, 07:37 AM
What 2h 40m !! :shock:

yes vinod, many people left halfway into the second half...15 mins each of each adventure sport (deep sea diving, skydiving, Spain's traditional bullrun) for each of the protagonist to overcome their respective fears; Hrithik character overcomes his phobia of deep by seadiving, Farhan character overcomes his fear of heights by skydiving, and Abhay overcomes fear of death after participating in the bullrun, and thus become liberated men:-D...idhukke 45 mins aayidchu. appuram 4-5 songs another half an hour gone. micham 1 hr 10 mins thaan padam, athulayum neraya thevaillaatha scenes...some serious editing required. Critics will love to call this as 'it is not just a film, it is an experience' estra estra:).

kid-glove
17th July 2011, 05:40 PM
Dhilli Billy - LOL. Nice. Wish Bolly made more of these unapologetic hinglish films rather than pretend.. Laughs down to lavatory humor. Could see why its wannabe-ness might put off some people. But then it was always promoted as such a film.

Sid_316
18th July 2011, 12:50 AM
Pyaar Ka Punchnama - Brilliant :clap:

jinju
18th July 2011, 12:06 PM
Dhilli Billy - LOL. Nice. Wish Bolly made more of these unapologetic hinglish films rather than pretend.. Laughs down to lavatory humor. Could see why its wannabe-ness might put off some people. But then it was always promoted as such a film.

:clap:...kg, have u watched Stanley Ka Dabba?

ajaybaskar
18th July 2011, 12:19 PM
Will watch Ragini MMS today..

Balaji.r
18th July 2011, 02:01 PM
:clap:...kg, have u watched Stanley Ka Dabba?

how is it? is it worth a watch?

jinju
18th July 2011, 02:35 PM
how is it? is it worth a watch?

worth a watch? oh definitely, my friend. one of the best of bolly that i've seen this year.

kid-glove
18th July 2011, 02:49 PM
Good to know. Havent seen it yet. Aamir took Amol's credits away. Acc. to AG, TZP's flaws are down to rewrites & changes brought about by Aamir.

jinju
18th July 2011, 02:59 PM
Good to know. Havent seen it yet. Aamir took Amol's credits away. Acc. to AG, TZP's flaws are down to rewrites & changes brought about by Aamir.

i thought so that there should've been issues between them, when there were thanks to all and sundry including 'Heartfelt thanks for Karan Johar:roll:' in the title card of SKD, but no mention of Aamir!

Balaji.r
18th July 2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks Jinju. let me d/l SKD

Didnt AG shot the movie atleast for a week or two? I read somewhere that Aamir is not happy at AG way execution/taking.

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
21st July 2011, 12:11 AM
Will watch Ragini MMS today..

:shock: :omg: It's not a good movie !! There were only 2 hair raising scenes and that too only 1 among them was fit enough to send the adrenaline pumping !! Waiting for your review !! I suggest Haunted 3D !! A mix of little horror + sentiments !!

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
21st July 2011, 12:22 AM
yes vinod, many people left halfway into the second half...15 mins each of each adventure sport (deep sea diving, skydiving, Spain's traditional bullrun) for each of the protagonist to overcome their respective fears; Hrithik character overcomes his phobia of deep by seadiving, Farhan character overcomes his fear of heights by skydiving, and Abhay overcomes fear of death after participating in the bullrun, and thus become liberated men:-D...idhukke 45 mins aayidchu. appuram 4-5 songs another half an hour gone. micham 1 hr 10 mins thaan padam, athulayum neraya thevaillaatha scenes...some serious editing required. Critics will love to call this as 'it is not just a film, it is an experience' estra estra:).

They could have done the same acrobatics in some reality show !! Why to waste in a movie ??

Well, already i remember one from a popular site calling it a scintillating experience !! Will give it a watch later !! Of late Hrithick's movies aren't up to the mark !! Neither the songs of ZNMD make a mark in my music store nor the plot impresses me !

Wibha
21st July 2011, 02:11 PM
Laaga Chunri main Daag- Absolutely loved it :notworthy:

kid-glove
21st July 2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks Jinju. let me d/l SKD

Didnt AG shot the movie atleast for a week or two? I read somewhere that Aamir is not happy at AG way execution/taking.

Yeah. AG wasn't happy about AK's creative ideas. AK wasn't happy about AG's execution & the way project was headed (if you believe him). The marriage didn't work.

Nerd
24th July 2011, 04:33 AM
Pyaar ka punchnama - Terrible. Downright silly and ugly chicks too :banghead:

jinju
30th July 2011, 09:59 AM
as usual, BRangan nails it:-D!
http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article2305050.ece
Armchair Epiphanies

Baradwaj Rangan

Do multiples audiences want their stories of redemption shorn of rough edges?

I did not review Zoya Akhtar's multiplex hit “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” for this paper – and I didn't have to. I'd already reviewed “Wake Up Sid” in 2009, where I wrote, “It has all the weight of a television commercial showing sad people transforming into happy people in the course of thirty seconds, which is to say that nothing ever seems to be at stake.” And of “Rock On,” in 2008, I wrote, “But that's a practical way of looking at life, and [this] is, above all, a story of dreams and dreamers.”

The point in recalling these older reviews is that with “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” we're recalling these older films – and the film that birthed it all, “Dil Chahta Hai,” which, ten years later, is still the most affecting, most bracing, most honest coming-of-age film from modern-day Bollywood. Its descendants are happy to inherit its vibe, its coolness, its Indo-Western hipness, but elsewhere they are content to settle for easy epiphanies. The eponymous rich brat of “Wake Up Sid” resolves to leave home, but he instantly moves in with a girl-friend, the kind of friend who can afford to redecorate her house before she lands a job, and his existential crises thereon unfold at the level of his learning to fry an egg.

And in “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara,” the Abhay Deol character, Kabir, struggles to come to terms with his hasty engagement to Natasha, a girl he likes but does not love. Like Preity Zinta's easily caricatured one-note boyfriend in “Dil Chahta Hai,” Natasha is fleshed out as an emotional manipulator, a suspicious nag, a clinger – and you have to wonder why so obvious a talent as Zoya Akhtar has to make it so easy to identify with this girl being dumped. We experience not a twinge when she is let go. She deserves it, we tell ourselves. Kabir deserves better.

The affluent characters in these films experience life-altering revelations with as much effort as sinking into a warm bubble bath. Or at least, the audience isn't allowed to “see” too much of their discomfort; we're simply asked to enjoy, vicariously, this angst-free acquisition of emotional truth, amidst plush production values that make us feel that we should all have these problems, these eye-catching problems, and their greeting-card solutions. (“Smell the roses, and perhaps a couple of peonies too!”)

“Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” and “Rock On” and “Wake Up Sid” are well-crafted films, glutted with good writing and acting and startling moments of discovery, and that's why it's baffling that they excuse themselves from genuine emotion. What if Natasha were a really nice girl, really in love with Kabir, and has waited for him a long time, and then he — for whatever reasons (maybe he fell for someone else) — faces the unpleasant but manful task of telling her he wants out.

There is a superb moment in James L Brooks' “As Good As It Gets,” an often rewarding and often frustrating drama, where Helen Hunt's character is mother to an asthmatic son, and her date finds himself unable to handle the child's spasmodic coughing. He leaves her home somewhat abashed, with the excuse that it's too much reality for a Friday night. Could that be the thought driving these multiplex filmmakers, who want their audiences to experience, on their Friday nights, something borderline-real without rubbing their noses in reality?

These films, therefore, are enjoyable on a superficial level, at an easy level, with real-life wrinkles airbrushed away with the skill of a “Playboy”-centrefold designer. And who will deny Zoya her success? She has learnt from the failure of her first feature, the commendable “Luck By Chance,” which laid bare the sweaty and dishonourable struggles behind professional success. It showed us what people can be like with their blinkers on and when they want something badly, and it made us squirm at the recognition of our own ethical compromises, which it reflected in an uncompromising glare – in other words, it was a little too much reality for a Friday night.

Balaji.r
31st July 2011, 06:02 PM
Shaitan: Pretty good . Liked it very much. Impressive debut by bejoy "shaitan" nambiar

groucho070
1st August 2011, 07:04 AM
Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal.

Yeah, I am outdated, it was on Zee TV, so I caught it.

Sports movie template, with some sort of patriotism thrown in (though it later became South Asia-ish, rather than Indian-ish), with all the cliches.

But performance made it worthwhile. I thought I would never say this but John Abraham was good. Then, the other guys, whatsisname, Arshad Warsi and Bhoman Irani, and the rest. Good script. Really keeps you at the edge of your seat except for those song moments. The first match was hillarious. Ruined my Sunday nap time, but worth it.

Querida
3rd August 2011, 09:17 AM
"Salaam Namaste" a realistic and modern dilemma concerning relationships and common-law relationships specifically that had been going well until that is the ending which turned into a pathetic clown show...i think it started with the "craving" song and went downhill from there...and that whole unnecessary cameo by abhi....really undermined whatever point they were trying to get across.

"Ready" - meh...really meh...Asin looks like a doll...it's Sallu's movie from the get go with the focus on his weird pouts, bravado lines and "zingers", him besting everyone of course...i seriously laughed harder in "Andaz Apna Apna" when he was being made to play the fool...

Querida
3rd August 2011, 11:42 PM
Watched "Udaan" haven't seen anything like it in terms of hindi films...was very impressed and surprised that it was kept to its realism throughout. Rohan and Arjun for their young age have done so well, the father plays his role to a T. Really felt like a glimpse into someone's life. BGM was appropriate, poems recited were impressive.

A review I read:
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/reviews/2010/udaan-review-140710.html

kid-glove
5th August 2011, 10:41 PM
"Viruddh .. Pamily Comes First " on some indhi channel
Amitabh B - perusa onnum illaiyE. This is the kind of role Rajini could do without much effort. Yet there's a BPM which propagates that Rajini's not an actor at all (just as it uses Kamal is not a star at all.) using these kind of films as an example.

Mahen
6th August 2011, 11:42 PM
Watched "Udaan" haven't seen anything like it in terms of hindi films...was very impressed and surprised that it was kept to its realism throughout. Rohan and Arjun for their young age have done so well, the father plays his role to a T. Really felt like a glimpse into someone's life. BGM was appropriate, poems recited were impressive.

A review I read:
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/reviews/2010/udaan-review-140710.html
REalism? I felt the father's role was very cinematic..As jinju said, one of those 'boys becoming men' aracha maavu :) for me udaan was average

Mahen
6th August 2011, 11:45 PM
ZNMD..it was nice touring Spain :) story/screenplay nothing great..thank god there were a few funny moments..
Jinju correcta sonninga abt ZNMD :)

MADDY
7th August 2011, 06:57 PM
ZNMD - yawn

interesting locations but convenient anecdotes and characterizations to fit the "discovery travel" style of film.........Abhay Deol neglected as a weak metrosexual third fiddle was sad.......adhe high pitch rock meesic, yung guys running, zooming cameras over exotic locations etc - shabba

Mahen
11th August 2011, 10:12 AM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/video/Movie-Promos/kyYTkV72/3/Theatrical-Trailer-Force.html

Pluses
-Harris has another winner in Bollywood after RHTD
-Genelia
Minuses
-Johny boy excessive stripping doesnt make him look like a cop
-villain no match to jeevan

Whats with johny's steroid pumped body.. :banghead:

littlemaster1982
11th August 2011, 10:38 AM
John Abraham gives a new definition of being wooden :lol:

Querida
15th August 2011, 10:23 AM
REalism? I felt the father's role was very cinematic..As jinju said, one of those 'boys becoming men' aracha maavu :) for me udaan was average

yes i know bildungsroman is a popular theme used in cinema and novels but after being inundated by masala mindlessness this was a nice refreshing change.

I felt the father's character complex in parts...it wasn't a bad father realizing and changing his ways, nor was it a full-on evil man wrecking havoc, it was a man surviving as he always had waning in and out of attempts of guilt-ridden goodness, he regresses further I guess while the son graduates to a question-laden ending...the journey of which will take him and his brother being successful is highly suspect for me.

roosevelt92
17th August 2011, 11:33 AM
recently i seen the movie zindagi na milegi dobara nice smooth story not any twist ...

Querida
19th August 2011, 02:48 AM
recently i seen the movie zindagi na milegi dobara nice smooth story not any twist ...

saw it yesterday, no twist but funny and enjoyable and of course great tourism advert for Spain and "Bagwati"

P_R
28th August 2011, 08:44 PM
Hum ApkE Hain Kaun on TV.

Yes - I like it
Yes - when it is on TV I can't change channels
Yes - I like the 'light' parts too
Yes - I like the songs....sometimes I sing along
Yes - I get lump-in-the throat and all
Yes - I need therapy

Plum
28th August 2011, 09:49 PM
Ah! Skeleton in feeyar's cupboard - finally.

AravindMano
28th August 2011, 10:14 PM
P_R - :lol:

Querida
29th August 2011, 01:06 AM
Awwwww :razz:
Not necessarily Therapy PR...nothing that a good dose of recent Sallu movies couldn't fix!
Yes- they will make you cry, especially if you've lost the remote control :lol:

P_R
29th August 2011, 08:55 AM
Ah! Skeleton in feeyar's cupboard - finally.
Actually it is very good I say.
Some other channel was showing Johar's K3G - unbearable. They were trying paasam moments now and then between Saarugaan and Krithigai. kaNraaviyA irundhadhu.
The people in HAHK, their relationships are far more genuine.

Climax-la oru sila idangaL analysis-worthy-A thONichu.

Reema Lagoo has the child when reading the letter.
She too chose one good man over another in her youth. We know not of her reasons then. It is not as if her 'lesser' choice is less fulfilling, but she is shown to have never fully made peace with the loss. As she sings in the song with AlokNath in the aaj hamaarE dhil mein song:

Meri Chaya Hai Jo, Aapke Ghar Chali
Sapna Ban Ke Meri, Palkon Mein Hai Pali

Now her daughter, for reasons of her own, was about to make a similar decision. How curious? Could she call it a 'mistake'? She can relate to the situation, but would she really be able to give voice to 'why' she things it would be a wrong decision for Madhuri, citing her own personal example! No.

And while these thoughts - allegedly - pass through her mind, she has the next generation in her hand.

And the way Monish Behl speaks to both of them - tugs at heartstrings, without getting all melodramatic.
The kiddishness of Salman keeps coming up in the film again and again - and I guess put off many people (kudhichu kudhichu viLayAndukkittu..)
He is shown to have a childlike 'innocence' and love, but also shown as desiring to grow up - which he says in assumed childlike petulant voice (kab thak rahoon....sab sE chOttA)
But then he has to make the giant leap. No other choice even seems considerable to him. It is not just selfishness to announce his love, but also having to declare to the world that he is not a 'boy' anymore. Behl says of Salman to the rest of them in the room: "ithnA badA baath..uskE hasi mein dhabA kE, mujhE parAyA karAyA".

The only line of reprimand he actually addresses to Salman is the one bubbling with melodramatic fury in all of twenty decibels: yeh thum tIk nahi kiyA PrEm :lol2:

adappOngappA...indha padam pudikkin. Sue me.

groucho070
29th August 2011, 09:16 AM
Dhamaal

Good fun. Pasangga ellAm nallA nadikkurAnggapA. Good comedy (I know, they stole the soap gun from Woody, but it was still funny) God knows when Tamizh films will go in this direction.

Plum
29th August 2011, 10:21 AM
Bala padam analysis worthy illainu sollittu barjatyakku analysisA? :shock:
I think you are mellowing down, feeyaar, mellowing down.
kiLikku kalyANa vayasu vandhuduthOlliyO, paRandhu pOchu

Plum
29th August 2011, 12:08 PM
Reema Lagoo has the child when reading the letter.
She too chose one good man over another in her youth. We know not of her reasons then. It is not as if her 'lesser' choice is less fulfilling, but she is shown to have never fully made peace with the loss. As she sings in the song with AlokNath in the aaj hamaarE dhil mein song:

idhellAm over analysis Feeyar. North Indies-la indha cross-joLLu (even after marriage, pEran pEthi etc) quite common. Sub-textlAm padikkAdhinga. If you want to say it is natural, yes, quite natural for that class of people. Sub-text padikkaRa aLavukku oNNum illai. I'd reckon that Alok Nath character will say that( I hearted you in my youthu) to any sambandhi whom he knew from college time. Such flirting - even invented childhood/youth stories for flirting - is quite common no in their culture?

Plum
29th August 2011, 12:10 PM
Well, if you want to point that it is better than the derivatives it spawned, yes, am with you. DDLJ is intolerable - and I felt it even as a target audience for Saarug when it released. I had all the demographic attributes to fall for it yet it seemed so fake and intolerable then, forget now. Karan Joker paththi sollavE vENAm

Bala (Karthik)
29th August 2011, 03:48 PM

Yes - I like it
Yes - when it is on TV I can't change channels
Yes - I like the 'light' parts too
Yes - I like the songs....sometimes I sing along
Yes - I get lump-in-the throat and all
Yes - I need therapy
Rajini's reaction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjVp2NDKKkg&feature=related)

raghavendran
29th August 2011, 04:18 PM
:rotfl3::rotfl3::rotfl3:
Bala
unga fan agitten :bow:

Plum
29th August 2011, 04:21 PM
Bala - :rotfl: :rotfl3:

MADDY
29th August 2011, 04:23 PM
:rotfl: ayyo mudiyalada saami

P_R
29th August 2011, 04:24 PM
Bala padam analysis worthy illainu sollittu barjatyakku analysisA? Heh heh :P

Alok Nath character will say that( I hearted you in my youthu) to any sambandhi whom he knew from college time. Such flirting - even invented childhood/youth stories for flirting - is quite common no in their culture? yOv. oru dikkinified gendilman-ai paththi enna pEchchu pEsureenga :lol2: Anupankheer is shown as 'vivacious' but AlokNath is reserved.

His first vaNakkam at the Ramji(!) mandhir cum guest house and Reemaji's expression when doing badhil vaNakkam, is understated. Backstory and all is told to us later.
And btw Kakaji no marriage sir. It is left to your inference why. Serious - not flirtatious 'ngREn.

What I like about the movie how some (definitely not all) character portrayals go the extra mile than the regular films: Eg. Lallu being 'bEta jaisA' is a paNakkaara kudumba cliche. But the way they show it, is not at all regular.The Renuka Shahane-Laxmikant Berde relationship apart, there are so many things that come naturally.

When the letter comes and he has to leave for town, Salman says: chal Lallu, mein teri jaanE ka intezaam karta hoon. Not even attracting attention to it.
And then when Salman-Renuka leave for Anupam Kher's house, Alok Nath says: "yesterday Lallu left, and today you folks...". The emotional moment of the previous scene has been forgotten and the mood is bright and sunny in this next scene. There is no need to mention Lallu. In fact there is a need NOT to. But it is like Alok Nath truly feels the progressive vacuum!

Of course, even when things are in focus I like them. Like when Renuka says: "thu kabsE chOttA ho gaya rE?", my eyes well up. Every time.
But the ones that are incidental and throwaway are impressive- when the Mamaji comes home to propose the alliance and first shows the photo, Chameli enters the room to serve tea. Salman - shows her the photo and she smiles and nods approvingly.

Well, if you want to point that it is better than the derivatives it spawned, yes, am with you. Of course. adhula edhuvum sandhEgamE illai.
Madurai Jaihindapuram Amirtham A/C theatre- where it ran for 365 days - is not Royapetta Melody type sEttu theatre. It was very much a local audience driven hit.
And the Hindi awareness of the clientele is such that I am Hindi pandit range there :lol2: purinja varaikkumE munnootharuvathanju naaL-nA...

The shot of 'hukum aap ka thaa, jo mainE na maanA' in 'Didi Tera Dewar' song with Salman in knightly kneel used to get thunderous applause (by which I have admitted I have watched the film more than once in the theatre!). Inflation adjustment, business model change ellAm vachu, there may be 'more successful' films after that. But in terms of 'will of the people' I think HAHK is possibly the film watched by most people in India.

DDLJ is intolerable DDLJ ellAm louu subject saar. adhukku eppadi kaNNula thaNNi varumngrEn ?
M.A. M.A. plAsaby plAsaby!

Plum
29th August 2011, 04:28 PM
With this, and your confession on sibling issues welling up your eyes earlier, oru pattern form Agudhu illai?

P_R
29th August 2011, 05:14 PM
With this, and your confession on sibling issues welling up your eyes earlier, oru pattern form Agudhu illai?
padikkAdha mEdhai - tears
vasandha mALigai - pOyum pOyum vANisreekkaaga

Q: kAdhalukku mariyAdhai
A: yuvar unselected
Q: andha urukkamaana climoks BGM kEttiyA?
A: indha urukkam, kirukkam ellAm neengaLE vachchukkunga

ungaLai thaanE nambaNUm..vEra yaar irukkA namburadhukku
*dhukkam thoNdaiya adaikkidhu*

DDLJ: jaaO simran
appO mudinchA?

chachi bani to tEri mamta mE kami hOgi kyA?
*sniff*

Plum
29th August 2011, 05:16 PM
oru dhabA edhukkum udhiri pookkaL pArthuttu vAnga. appAla pEsalAm

Plum
29th August 2011, 05:17 PM
vasandha mALigai - pOyum pOyum vANisreekkaaga

:rotfl: - adhE adhE! shaktiprabha ingE illaingaRadhAla dhairaymA thittalAm. andha koNdaiyum, maNdaiyum...

satissh_r
29th August 2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0KPQstwMQw

Sanju looks mean :shaking:

kid-glove
29th August 2011, 10:50 PM
Original itself was caricatured (Amitabh performance is one of his worst). This is like a parody. Looks like Siruthai :lol:
Kruthigai's limitation is unbelievable. Sanjay dutt is pathetic. Going to be so cardboardish. It's like a WWE death match at times.
Of course, the communal connotations are going to be problematic. The original itself was a mess with its racist Dravidian depiction.

ajithfederer
30th August 2011, 07:21 AM
Vivek used to twist the name of this film into something funny. :lol: Damm I cannot remember it right now.

Yes you do.

Yes - I need therapy

P_R
30th August 2011, 08:06 AM
irunga, better than DDLJ-nu establish paNNiyAchchu.
Nesst, in the family filmic tradition-nu ....oru proposal-ai munvaippOm.

Plum
30th August 2011, 10:04 AM
mukkiyamAna kELvi - yAr kUda padam pArthInga. Key evidence adhu dhAn

KV
30th August 2011, 10:43 AM
Vivek used to twist the name of this film into something funny. :lol: Damm I cannot remember it right now.
VV does one in one of the Sharathkumar movies... Seeing a NI family visiting the temple he works in, he goes 'Aagha... amaapke raincoat family varudhu ya' :lol:

Plum
30th August 2011, 02:08 PM
Original itself was caricatured (Amitabh performance is one of his worst). This is like a parody. Looks like Siruthai :lol:
Kruthigai's limitation is unbelievable. Sanjay dutt is pathetic. Going to be so cardboardish. It's like a WWE death match at times.
Of course, the communal connotations are going to be problematic. The original itself was a mess with its racist Dravidian depiction.
BPM will be with you on this. I am sure Q and co. have already written the rip-apart piece for this one. namma romba kashtapada vENdAm, Git. BPM will take care of rubbishing this movie and Kiruthigai

Plum
30th August 2011, 02:10 PM
Actually, Aarakshanukku normalA National Award kedaikkaNum PAchanukku. But anti-reservation padam-nu oru image vandhadhAla, politically they might decide not to give the award. Thank God for small mercies.

sipi
30th August 2011, 02:25 PM
Dhobi Ghat...

Its some thing good and felt different, but i am blank in the end... unable to understand the story... :(

kid-glove
30th August 2011, 02:49 PM
BPM will be with you on this. I am sure Q and co. have already written the rip-apart piece for this one. namma romba kashtapada vENdAm, Git. BPM will take care of rubbishing this movie and Kiruthigai

But they speak of original as a classic..

Plum
30th August 2011, 03:00 PM
Ahn ellAm avangaLE paNNuvAngaLA? andha vELai ungaLadhu

kid-glove
30th August 2011, 04:02 PM
I have decided not to indulge with BigBtards anymore..

P_R
30th August 2011, 04:13 PM
mukkiyamAna kELvi - yAr kUda padam pArthInga. Key evidence adhu dhAn
This weekend, I saw it alone.
Previous times when moved also when alone only.

Crowd-la ellAm geththai maindain paNNiruvEn.

Plum
30th August 2011, 04:13 PM
Right. Abhishek B fanA irukkaRadhE oru kodumai. You should not make those poor BigBtards feel even worse by reminding them that they are Abhishek B fans.

P_R
30th August 2011, 04:15 PM
I have decided not to indulge with BigBtards anymore.. namma, equa left hand-la 'BigB achchA actor hai'-nu pachchai kuththirukkaar.

P_R
30th August 2011, 10:56 PM
Latchiyam
After becoming responsible fellow and all - Kiruthigai is pretty good.

ajithfederer
30th August 2011, 11:34 PM
I got it. Vivek says Aapakarammakku gown venuma? :lol:

VV does one in one of the Sharathkumar movies... Seeing a NI family visiting the temple he works in, he goes 'Aagha... amaapke raincoat family varudhu ya' :lol:

Plum
31st August 2011, 11:18 AM
Latchiyam
After becoming responsible fellow and all - Kiruthigai is pretty good.

adhAvadhu, Apisek-ku asattu husband vEsham perfectA porundharA mAdhiri, kiruthigai default mode adhundaradhAla, adhu avarukku porundhumnu vechukkalAmnu nenaikkaREn.

Kiruthigai nallA dance AduvArAmE? I am a gnanasoonyam in dance but frankly, Frabhu theva, ivaru elLAm dance AdaRadhu pAkka mudiyalai. teknikkilAm vuttuttu, laymanA pArthA pretty annoying. (frabhu theva - mudhugu soridhal, pant avuthu pOdudhal, shirt kazhatti pOdudhal - anooyancein uchchakattam)

Kiruthigai's muyaRchi dance is even more annoyinhg

P_R
31st August 2011, 01:12 PM
Both dance I like.
Btw I think Prabhudeva makes editing decisions for songs he choreographs.
Punnagaiyil MinsAram of course is all time great music videos of TFM.
I was watching rAsaiyyA dindukkallu dindukkallu song the other day. Angil, cut ellAm konja vidhyAsamAvE irunchh.

btw Hrithik was good in LBC also. adhula enna default mode?

MADDY
31st August 2011, 03:27 PM
Jaane bhi do yaaron 1983

Fantastic

Plum
31st August 2011, 03:38 PM
appO gnAn (nrithyathilE) gnAna soonyamANu. karpoora vaasana theriya mAttEngudhu

Hrithik Default - rahter comfort zone - mode: viraippu, well-bred, well-mannered young man. When trying cool, yuppie like in first half of Lakshya,epic failure.

Apisek - comfort zone - asattu iLaignan. Vetti officer. Loser. (promoted now to) asattu husband. idea ads.

Lakshya - first half apisek, second half kiruthigai paNNi irundhA sooper dooper hit

Mahen
31st August 2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rtINQPpYY

Vidya balan :shock: btw, was silk smita famous in north? :roll:

Mahen
1st September 2011, 09:14 AM
Manja boots ponnu review..4*..but this guy gave Singham/bodyguard 4* as well :)
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/review/14354/index.html

KV
2nd September 2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rtINQPpYY

Vidya balan :shock: btw, was silk smita famous in north? :roll:

Whether Silikku was well-known up North, I know not. But one thing's sure... she never ever looked like a eunuch, which is how the protagonist in this film looks like.

Mahen
2nd September 2011, 08:29 PM
:lol: hub=le neraya balan fans irukanga....

kid-glove
2nd September 2011, 08:37 PM
Equa enga?

Whether Silikku was well-known up North, I know not. But one thing's sure... she never ever looked like a eunuch, which is how the protagonist in this film looks like.

SoftSword
2nd September 2011, 08:41 PM
adappaavigalaa?

littlemaster1982
2nd September 2011, 09:59 PM
Vidya looks UGLY. I used to like her during Guru, Munnabhai days :sigh2:

raghavendran
2nd September 2011, 10:16 PM
ennadhan skin show katinalum velaikki agala..silk was stylish..Vidya :mokkai piece aunty:..btw Nassruddin shah indha madhiri padathula correcta irukaru..

kid-glove
2nd September 2011, 10:18 PM
Munnabhai - headphone-a vechu 'good morning vietnam'-nu koovura role. Rejected.

Guru - Mani Ratnam mosaic surface-a kooda amaipa kaatiduvaar..

Plum
2nd September 2011, 11:40 PM
Parineeta-la nalla dhaaneppa irundhuchu although - confession: my attention was more on Royma Sen?

KV
4th September 2011, 12:34 AM
VBalan generally looks pretty ok. My comment was on how she appears in this trailer, which is why I said the protagonist of the film looks so. Or maybe I should've written, how she is made to look. Whatever.

KV
9th September 2011, 12:01 PM
Manja boots – ferformance brilliance galore.
Kashyapar/Kalki choose a simple, linear narrative to show a mildly engaging tale (quite shallow; could’ve been better written). But where the film makes up big time is with the performances and dialog writing – caustic, incisive yet mostly casual. The Kannada portions were such a welcome, for rarely do we get to see characters from this part of the country in Indian cinema. Kalki’s character’s not very different from the one she played in Shaitan – angst filled youngser with a troubled family and upbringing – but her acting is top-notch. The other characters (massage parlor owner-lady, Sidhappa Gowda, Prashanth, Nasseruddin) that exist in her life helps make the film engaging. Kashyapar, koot job, but innum neraya edhirpArkarOm.

Bala (Karthik)
9th September 2011, 03:33 PM
Character seriyilla saar :lol2:

Scale
10th September 2011, 03:45 PM
http://itsmyviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/maray-brother-ki-dhulan-poster.jpg

apdiye thookkitu poi Vairamuthu pakkathula nikka vachidalam.

KV
11th September 2011, 12:38 PM
Character seriyilla saar :lol2:
:idontgetit: nEkka? nOkka? nEkkum nOkkuma?

Bala (Karthik)
12th September 2011, 03:36 PM
KV
adhu Vidhya Balettan ku.... (podhuva namma makkal indha madhiri commands pass panradhu vazhakkam). Her face belongs to that category, if you know what i mean

KV
12th September 2011, 06:43 PM
Vidhya Balettan
sEthu padhicha comedyA irukku, pirichchu padicha kasamusavA irukku

KV
27th September 2011, 01:18 PM
PanjapakesaIyer mOsam panneettArAmE. YArAna pAthelA?

Nerd
30th September 2011, 07:30 AM
ZNMDB - First one hour was a breeze. Extremely funny too. Adhukkappuram torchal. And Farhan Akhtar's self-promotion sabbaa :hammer:

Dilli Billy - Nice one time watch timepass film. And thats about it.

groucho070
11th October 2011, 06:30 AM
Big Brother (2007).

Pazhaya pAsam, athuvum Sunny Deol-a remba nAlA parkala. What a mess of a movie. Checked couple of reviews online, and none of them mentioned how this film ripped of Rajini's (note we don't say Suresh Krssna's) Baasha. Some scene by scene. Rajini's charisma and energy vs Sunny's plain pizza dough. Some of the action scenes would even make our Captain wince. Definitely not the kinda films Hindi pundits want me to see.

ajaybaskar
11th October 2011, 11:42 AM
Pyaar Ka Punchnaama

A must watch for all men. Dont ever miss it.

VENKIRAJA
11th October 2011, 10:45 PM
Pyaar Ka Punchnaama

A must watch for all men. Dont ever miss it.

:2thumbsup:

Ramakrishna
14th October 2011, 08:31 PM

Yeah... Super padam

Nerd
19th October 2011, 10:04 PM
Shaitan - Too much style spoils whatever little substance it has. Aaranya Kaandam vera level :2thumbsup:

KV
20th October 2011, 11:12 AM
Nerd, if you haven't already, you need to check out the 1985 Kannada movie ‘Accident (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident_(1985_film))’ by Shankar Nag (the guy who brought Malgudi Days to screen, for starters). His masterly direction and Raasa’s awesome score (no songs) makes this movie well ahead of its time (has its share of flaws, but still makes a gripping watch). ‘Dai, naanga idha 80s layE paathaachu da’ was the feeling I had when I watched Shaitan. Not that it’s a bad film, makes a solid start, very slick and enjoyable, but then fizzes out after the phony abduction; the Kashyapar syndrome, if one may call it so. But, Gulshan Deviah (KC, in this movie) and Kalki - koot tAlends - awesome performance in Manja boots too.

Nerd
21st October 2011, 05:01 AM
Thanks bro. Will hunt for the DVD/DVDRip/Youtube :-)

groucho070
24th October 2011, 08:09 AM
Double Dhamaal.

Falters when the four dimwits started maru-vEsham thing. Sanjay Dutt cannot make up his mind whether to play it straight, or to be goofy with them. An okay entertainer with few laughs here and there. Mallika Shrawat was totally unnecessary.

P_R
31st October 2011, 04:37 PM
I have a confession. I like DeewaanE Hue paagal.
It is a sad adaptation of There's something about Mary.

That too I like the Madarasi mockery in it.

There is one guy, Om Puri's son, who is a Punjabi but -for no reason whatsoever - adopts a South Indian identity.
He watches South Indian films, grows a moustache and speaks a pidgin Madaraasi Hindi.

The whole thing is rife with the the Bollywood prejudiced Madarasi depiction, but it is so so over-the top that I found it funny.

And Om Puri's punjabi-ness versus his son causes many moments

Om Puri: Oi...subramaniam ke aulaadh :lol:
Om Puri: abEy...medhu vadA

Son sees his dream girl (Rimi Sen) on TV and screams happily (he's snacking as he watches TV)
OP: abEy ...kyA hua...mangwaa thO dhiyA tErE idli aur saambaar

And the guy calls OP 'appA' and his brother aNNai (அண்ணை)

Finally he locates Rimi Sen in Dubai and calls OP to tell him
Son: appA...GuruvaayurappaNdE...aa pENkutti kitti appA :rotfl:

And when kidnapping her he talks to her in a language which is Hindi ruined completely by using words and intonation which are Tamil (i.e. what bollywood would consider Tamil). She gets frustrated at one point and bursts out: kyA bakwaaz hain ye :lol:

It is a reasonably funny movie apart from this

Akshay Kumar and Vijay Raaz are trailing Sunil Shetty - who pretends to be handicapped.
At one point in the chase, SS throws his crutches at them and runs (first time we too know that he is not handicapped).
A moment of surprise and then
Vijay Raaza: bhaai yeh andhaa nahin hai :rotfl2:
Akshay: abE...andhaa thoo hai...

Climoks chase
Johnny Lever trailing the villain's car and talking over phone to Akshay Kumar - who's driving another car- passing on instructions. The car has Sunil Shetty, Vijay Raaz, Paresh Rawal - who are all on their own track.

Johnny Lever: Mc Donalds-se left liyE us caar nE, Mc Donalds sE left lE
Akshay: (relaying it and trying to stay on top of the chaos)
Paresh Rawal: yahaan McDonalds nahin hai...wo dheek KFC hain...KFC chalEgA? :lol:

Ippo varrA Housefull pOnrA blade-gaLai paakkum pOdhu, 6-7 varusham munnAdi - low production values-Oda - oru maadhiri sumaarA nallAvE edutha indha padangaLai nyAbagap paduththikka vENdi irukku

Saai
1st November 2011, 12:44 AM
P_R

I saw this movie on TV (IPL MAX) - that tamil speaking charecter is hilarious...

Sunil_M88
1st November 2011, 03:52 AM
There is one guy, Om Puri's son, who is a Punjabi but -for no reason whatsoever - adopts a South Indian identity.

Sounds like me :lol: I'm going to watch it right now, thanks for the recommendation P_R :)

Sunil_M88
1st November 2011, 03:58 AM
I had a feeling it might be Suresh Menon (Malayalam), he was the taxi driver in the Chitti scene from Ra.one. He has done a similar role in Anil Kapoor's Badhaai Ho Badhaai, where he plays the character of Lucky iyer, who wears a turban but speaks with a Madrasi accent lol.

Sunil_M88
13th November 2011, 05:35 AM
Suresh Menon mimicking Rajinikanth in Only Rajini Can (in no particular order)

Battery - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89-VSWCwkZk

Across The Wall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89-VSWCwkZk

Football - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mS6oEdx_DE

Break Oil - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOTDfOl32k

Maldives - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmODltUlSKE

Aag - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuuzUshYkU

Dil Dhadakana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7piFCORDFY

Nerd
13th November 2011, 07:20 PM
Rockstar - Imtiaz's attempt at a Dil Se. Works well till the interval. But in the 2nd half completely loses control over the proceedings. The film just goes haywire. Biggest plus is Rahman's songs. Take them away from the film and the film would not have run for more than a day. Glad Rahman has gotten a subject that respects him.

Ranbir was alrite. Nargis was slightly better than that Majnu heroyini (Rajesh Khanna's daughter). Even a Trisha would have made the film slightly better. Attempt ellaam OK dhaan but he does not have it in him - Imtiaz.

littlemaster1982
13th November 2011, 07:42 PM
Thought of watching this, at least for Sadda Haq :|

Mahen
13th November 2011, 08:39 PM
Rockstar - Imtiaz's attempt at a Dil Se. Works well till the interval. But in the 2nd half completely loses control over the proceedings. The film just goes haywire. Biggest plus is Rahman's songs. Take them away from the film and the film would not have run for more than a day. Glad Rahman has gotten a subject that respects him.

Ranbir was alrite. Nargis was slightly better than that Majnu heroyini (Rajesh Khanna's daughter). Even a Trisha would have made the film slightly better. Attempt ellaam OK dhaan but he does not have it in him - Imtiaz.
Exactly what i thought..He couldnt handle this kind of subject...

Pyaar ka Punchnama :thumbsup: one of the best hindi films this year..very realistic and engaging..That 'liquid' character is me ya :ashamed:
Thanks for recommending Ajay :)

Nerd
13th November 2011, 08:48 PM
Thought of watching this, at least for Sadda Haq :|
Pls. watch it immediat. Rahman fans must watch. Actually music/songs portion > dialogues portion. But Chennai-la subtitles varumaa? :lol2:

Mahen, did you notice - Nargis is like Tammu's twin (especially the purse-y lips), a little uglier in fact :P

littlemaster1982
13th November 2011, 09:08 PM
Heard they add subs on particular days in Sathyam (Thursday, I guess). Will watch it this week.

Sid_316
13th November 2011, 09:47 PM
Pyaar ka Punchnama :thumbsup: one of the best hindi films this year..very realistic and engaging..That 'liquid' character is me ya :ashamed:
Thanks for recommending Ajay :)

Yeah awesome movie :thumbsup:

Sid_316
13th November 2011, 09:48 PM
Heard they add subs on particular days in Sathyam (Thursday, I guess). Will watch it this week.

It's only for selected movies.. Phone panni confirm pannikonga.. Naan apdi dhan udaan ku poi mokka vanginen :D

littlemaster1982
13th November 2011, 09:56 PM
Oh!! Anyway, gonna watch it just for songs. Subtitle illattiyum prachnai illa.

sathya_1979
13th November 2011, 09:59 PM
dhairiyamaa pOi paarunga!

Sid_316
13th November 2011, 10:08 PM

Then u will enjoy it.. Sama response for 2-3 songs.. and the title card of rahman :)

GSV
13th November 2011, 11:59 PM
That girl in yellow boots.

Must watch movie..

Well done AK..

Mahen
14th November 2011, 06:29 AM
Pls. watch it immediat. Rahman fans must watch. Actually music/songs portion > dialogues portion. But Chennai-la subtitles varumaa? :lol2:

Mahen, did you notice - Nargis is like Tammu's twin (especially the purse-y lips), a little uglier in fact :P
:evil: Tammu's lips=Angelina Jolie :)

enaku puriyala..why some days with subtitles? :confused: RAtionale?

Sunil_M88
14th November 2011, 06:49 AM

LM do that if you wish, but speaking from hindsight the concert does more justice to the songs :musicsmile:

Sunil_M88
16th November 2011, 07:14 AM
I have not seen kaakha kaakha but I saw force and felt it is one of the most gripping and intense love stories I've ever seen in my life. I'm in awe for the villain. I read the villain for Kaakha kaakha won an award and I think it's likely that Vidyut Jamwal will get it here as he is a true recipient for it from every angle. With due respect to Arjun Rampal, there is no point playing the title role if you can't prove your mettle when given a responsibility. But it's not his fault, whoever wrote his role should be blamed. But to name a film after a character who's merely in a film for 4-5 scenes and that to with shabby screenplay is beyond my thought.

Vidyut Jamwal :clap: Checkout his stunts and you'll know exactly why he's got so much to offer.

kid-glove
18th November 2011, 12:22 AM
On "The Dirty picture". Rajdeep Sardesai with Vidya Balan, Ekta Kapoor. They're representing the 80's era-vAm & not based on a single living/ed person. Not being inspired by Smitha-vAm. Yet the character's given a moniker 'Silk' as a tribute.

They speak of 80's as the most decadent in representation. Speaking derisively of the period (esp. 'Southern films'). On how it objectified women, yada yada. Wondering how much of a joke the current Bollywood is today then? The very aspects that they intend as 'vulgar', 'raunchy', has become a norm today. Just because some male actors show their abs, it doesn't change that equation. There's as much hypocrisy today, if not more problematic. We have bigger names like Gareebna, Freeyanka, etc rather than an exclusive set of actress for it. It's not what that happens on-screen, it's what that happened off it, the judgments & repercussions in society that needs to be highlighted. How attitudes had changed really? Not quite sure they have their fingers on right pulse. It appears that they not only claim to show the reality of it, they proclaim a high sense of importance on lines of 'look how bold & ballsy we are today, that we make these kind of films', but then again the 'we', the present state of bollywood, isn't exactly a progressive environment. A reassuring statement that it's "improving". And there's a preservation of Bollywood screen legends (of the period) who've been guilty of even turning Smitha Patil raunchy. The Bollywood-pov is so apparent in the trailer. Why should southern stars/audience be derided & parodied.

Formally as well, they tread a problematic route, showcasing/embracing the very aspect that they've worded as 'dirty'. Vidya Balan seems to revel in it. Watch any 80's video, there's a tinge of sadness & vulnerability in Silk's face. The close-up expression with Poornam in MP shows up in lot of her videos with KH, RK, Chiru, etc, there's a certain tinge of ambiguity & nuance. OTOH, there's Viday Balan. :roll: Forget sensuality, I think she tries too hard. There's a clear sense of vanity. If they meant it as some sort of empowerment, why have they decried it as 'dirty'.

Interesting how two similar films, My Week with Marilyn, & this, are being released in the same year. Somehow one already expects a major sense of disappointment in both films. A case of what could have been.

littlemaster1982
19th November 2011, 07:50 PM
Pls. watch it immediat.

Watched it. Subtitles illadhadhala sila idangal puriyala :| I thought Ranbir and Nargis fell in love but they just roam here and there and finally Ranbir accompanied her to Kashmir for her wedding :confused2: Sumaarana padam.

littlemaster1982
19th November 2011, 07:52 PM
enaku puriyala..why some days with subtitles? :confused: RAtionale?

Most of the people consider subtitles as an intrusion. Subs are shown only on thursdays just for the sake of non-Hindi speaking audience.

littlemaster1982
19th November 2011, 07:52 PM
LM do that if you wish, but speaking from hindsight the concert does more justice to the songs :musicsmile:

Downloading the concert. Will check out soon :)

wizzy
19th November 2011, 07:58 PM
LM, check out PVR they seem to subtitle non-tamil movies even Eng ones much to my dismay.. :banghead:

AravindMano
19th November 2011, 08:29 PM
Udaan. Shabba. Skipped the last 30 minutes, but don't think that would have changed my opinion. The guy when he recited that poetry to his friend - he lost me there.

littlemaster1982
19th November 2011, 08:59 PM
LM, check out PVR they seem to subtitle non-tamil movies even Eng ones much to my dismay.. :banghead:

I saw Inception with subtitles, but TS-III was not having subs. Didn't know they regularly add subs. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Balaji.r
19th November 2011, 09:01 PM
Harishchandrachi Factory: wow , pretty good movie. The narration was breezy. Kudos to the director.

Story on Dadasaheb Phalke, his interest on movies and how he made his first feature film on Raja Harishchandra was captured in an enjoyable fashion.

Plum
19th November 2011, 10:02 PM
LM, oru kalaignanoda manasu epdi dukkangaLAla merugu peRugiradhunnu kaaviyam eduthurukkangalaam - ninga ranbir and nargis roam here and therenu simbleA mudichttinga? Ranbir natl award kanfaarmedaam theriyumaa?

Arvind Srinivasan
20th November 2011, 07:54 AM

appidiya....I saw tintin out there and the movie didnt have subtitles....

littlemaster1982
20th November 2011, 08:36 AM
LM, oru kalaignanoda manasu epdi dukkangaLAla merugu peRugiradhunnu kaaviyam eduthurukkangalaam - ninga ranbir and nargis roam here and therenu simbleA mudichttinga? Ranbir natl award kanfaarmedaam theriyumaa?

Kudutha enna thappungaren :poke:

Plum
20th November 2011, 09:23 AM
Oh avlo dhooram vandhutteengalaa? Ange inge roam pandradhukellaam national awardaa?

wizzy
20th November 2011, 09:49 AM
^Arjun Rampal national award vangum podhu..RK enna koraichal..kadaisilla G-one vanga poran :frightened:

wizzy
20th November 2011, 09:51 AM
appidiya....I saw tintin out there and the movie didnt have subtitles....
3d ver? I saw 2d with subtitles or they might be playing the subs only on friday

Plum
20th November 2011, 10:43 AM
What? Rama balanA? EppO? Bollywood must be truly ashamed for blatantly buying awards...but they don't have a shame bone in their bodies....

wizzy
20th November 2011, 11:01 AM
for his nuanced performance in Rock-on :rotfl3:

Arvind Srinivasan
20th November 2011, 11:08 AM
3d ver? I saw 2d with subtitles or they might be playing the subs only on friday

oh ok.....

littlemaster1982
20th November 2011, 11:26 AM
Oh avlo dhooram vandhutteengalaa? Ange inge roam pandradhukellaam national awardaa?

I don't bother about NA anymore :p

Nerd
20th November 2011, 09:46 PM
Watched it. Subtitles illadhadhala sila idangal puriyala :| I thought Ranbir and Nargis fell in love but they just roam here and there and finally Ranbir accompanied her to Kashmir for her wedding :confused2: Sumaarana padam.
:lol: Full-aa purinjirundhaalum sumaar dhaan.. Perfect example of a wannabe qOlity pillim. On NA, I am positive ARR will win for songs.

P_R
20th November 2011, 10:17 PM
Albutha two times kEttu pAththuttEn.
Only shehnai song is excellent. MichadhellAm sumaar. The super hyped saddA haq - 4-5 tayaums kEttuttEn. :confused2:

I will be disappointed if this album defeats Saath Khoon Maaf.

Nerd
20th November 2011, 10:33 PM
Only shehnai song is excellent. MichadhellAm sumaar. The super hyped saddA haq - 4-5 tayaums kEttuttEn. :confused2:

I will be disappointed if this album defeats Saath Khoon Maaf.
Though I personally think the album deserves it my statement was based off of the praise it received across all quarters.

Try Nadaan Parinday, Phir se ud chala (Rahman should have sung it), Jo Bhi Mein, Aur Ho. Btw some song videos were really good in the film. Phir se ud chala, shehnai piece, Kun faya Kun, Aur ho. By the time it got to Nadaan Parinday / Tum ho / Tum ko I completely lost interest.

Mahen
21st November 2011, 07:58 PM
:lol: Full-aa purinjirundhaalum sumaar dhaan.. Perfect example of a wannabe qOlity pillim. On NA, I am positive ARR will win for songs.
Movie is mukkeraning at the BO :) innum cost recover pannale nenaikiren..

ajithfederer
29th November 2011, 09:31 PM
Watching Dabangg.

Salman's heroine intro scene is :lol:. His dialogs are :rotfl:. Straight aa matterku varuvan :thumbsup: If he plays his cards right(which he is) Salman can use his bad boy image to the fullest extent in BW. He can learn a thing or two from Charlie sheen in HW.

groucho070
30th November 2011, 07:43 AM
Only shehnai song is excellent. MichadhellAm sumaar. The super hyped saddA haq - 4-5 tayaums kEttuttEn. :confused2: +1 Entire Album continuous-A three times on the loop (long trip in brother's car).

ajithfederer
30th November 2011, 09:51 AM
Finished Dabangg - But for the overzealous stunts (occupational hazard) Not bad. One of the better entertainment flicks in recent times. Salman carries himself very well. A plausible/passable story works well.

littlemaster1982
30th November 2011, 10:03 AM
Swades - for the first time. Had mixed feelings after watching the film. Few beautiful/touching scenes interspersed among a sea of dialogues. Thalaivar's score was top notch :notworthy:

ajaybaskar
30th November 2011, 12:04 PM
Swades - for the nth time. SRK's best performance till date. Want to witness a man carrying a film on his shoulders with his music? Watch this film.

Plum
30th November 2011, 05:37 PM
Swades - yeah. One of Rahman's finest - songs and Score. Saarug might be poovoda sErndha nAr maNakking

Balaji.r
30th November 2011, 07:55 PM
Swades - for the nth time. SRK's best performance till date. Want to witness a man carrying a film on his shoulders with his music? Watch this film.

karagattakaran

AravindMano
4th December 2011, 09:51 AM
From Bongwood - Iti Mrinalini. Shabba. Shabbabba. Aparna Sen has lost it. Konkana tries a bit to save the sinking ship. BTW, what's she up to? Nothing exciting from her these days.

ajithfederer
4th December 2011, 10:38 AM
Bongwood :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th December 2011, 01:52 PM
http://adrasaka.blogspot.com/2011/12/dirty-picture.html

Mostly Spoilers. Will help those who don't know hindi. Looks like the film is a better attempt

groucho070
5th December 2011, 07:36 AM
Nayak.

- Shankar proves that he's a true Michael Bay of India. More money, more explosion.
- Having said that, some improvement to the original, including lead's performance. Anil is ain't no Brando, but he sure is better than literal tongue-in-cheeker Arjun.
- Anil's name is Sivaji Rao (Gaekwod?), we know, we know Shankar. The man should have done this movie. Damn....

hi
5th December 2011, 11:47 AM
RA ONE ... Wasted dollars!!

ajaybaskar
5th December 2011, 12:55 PM
karagattakaran

Avaru neraiya andha madhiri pannirukkarunga.. Mike Mohan veetula IRku silai irukkuradha oru purali..

Plum
5th December 2011, 02:00 PM
Besides, there is aNNan who has his own contribution to Karagattakaran's success/memorableness/kwality icecream. It is pretty well done as a movie, actually. Ramarajan isn't half-bad, if you can tolerate and survive the luminesence of his shirts. Mike Mohan, on the other hand...how on earth could people sit through udhaya geetham, NPP and other motherland pictures. Uchchakattam is the most succesful of 'em all - Journeys don't end. There is hardly any redeeming factor (atleast the other ones have Gounder, and in one particular case - udhaya geetham - atleast in my case, there is Revathy). Poornima Jeyaram, SV Sekar in competition mode with YGM...FTW only.

groucho070
5th December 2011, 02:02 PM
YGM...FTW only.Guess who almost ruined Marumagal movie :evil:

Bala (Karthik)
5th December 2011, 02:51 PM
Parts of Wake Up Sit - Blade.

Rocket Singh - Bayangara timepass, despite the aangaange kaanappadum Vikraman chinnangal. Ranbir allergy irundhum padam paakkara madhiri irundhuchu, yenna avar oru Sardar!

Plum
5th December 2011, 03:23 PM
Since Rishi Kapoor is the vadanattu sivakumar, Ranbir Kappoor is vadanaattu Surya?

Scale
5th December 2011, 05:02 PM
Gulaal

Thanks to that Russian girl named Ray (not Rai) for breaking the record of having the largest/biggest lips before it was Abhay Deol, Dev D and before some Lippocamel from Sahara desert named after the honour. Added to this size of women siliconizing in to Men's harmones Anurag Kashyap retreads 'Gulaal' with a celestial inspiration making it a far more engaging tale into the Rajputana's life of politics, betrayal & revenge.

Superb performances from

Kay Kay - The Master of all :thumbsup:
Jadwal - Ragging cell :shock: shows no mercy
Rananjay Singh - teaches the necessity of timely withdrawal. Immortal!
Aditya Shrivastava - Hopeless brother + Hopeful politician
Dileep Singh - knows only to get locked up for 3 days :lol2:
Prithivi Bana & - too many connotations literally out of my understanding.
Ayesha Menon - No Dirty Pic yet seduces all Kings
Mahie Gill - No Money too much honey
Anuja - Deep Condolences.

The best of all is Kashyap's solid writing and the way he finishes the film with those inspired songs is simply mind-boggling. Brilliant!

O Re Duniya
Raat Ka Musaffir

Piyush Mishra :clap:

A state of complete trance! yeh duniya agar mil bhi jaaye to kya hai :notworthy:

KV
5th December 2011, 05:46 PM
Dirty picture.

To start off, allow me to dig into some background on this movie. About a month ago or so, when the first teaser was out, I hated it and commented saying VB looked like a eunuch in it. Thereafter, every picture and teaser that was released, somehow never worked for me; they were overtly saucy. I was convinced that this movie was worth a skip and didn’t bother much about the hoopla surrounding it’s release. Cut to yesterday, my gang of friends, upon whom it seems to have suddenly dawned in the evening that there was a movie waiting to be seen at the theatre, lugged me along to catch the night show. I reluctantly agreed, knowing well that I could doze off if the movie was to be boring, something that I had previously done during two movies (Potter & Rajneeti).

The theatre (Everest, a single-screen, erstwhile dirty theatre, upgraded, revamped and accepted as a decent one now) was overflowing with people and for a moment I was secretly happy that it’d be a sell-out and we’d return back home. Fate had something else planned – we managed to get tickets, only to discover that they were in the front few rows! By the time we entered, hunted down our seats and settled down, the opening titles and scenes were nearly done and there were moaning sounds emanating from the speakers which was greeted with wild hooting and screaming by the audience. Many a times it felt like the fourth wall was breached, not because of the filmmaker, but because of the setting we were watching the film in. It was like being part of the audience that was shown enjoying Silk’s moves, as opposed to an ‘outsider view’ that a multiplex viewer could be getting. It was clear that the crowd was getting what they wanted, right from the word go. (A middle-aged man requested us to swap our seats with his. ‘I’ve come with family, please’ said the brave, broad-minded chap.)

The first half of the movie charts the course of a lackluster starlet transforming, with rapid progress, into a glittering booty-shaker, a voluptuous vamp, a state what she refers to quite simply as ‘a big film star’. From being a timid, touch-me-and-I’ll-burn-you girl, she gradually picks up the ‘tricks of the trade’, gets down and dirty, steamrolling herself to overnight stardom. She thinks she’s arrived at the big stage and is there to stay and to be loved by all, only to find that most people around her, even the ones she feels intimate to, perceive her as a device for nocturnal adventures to fulfill their secret fantasies. She feels betrayed and wretched and chides at the world, which in her opinion, enjoys the dirty things is life but doesn’t have the balls to openly embrace it. And then on begins the fall, the spiral descent into the abysmal that eventually gets the better of her.

The movie was touted as a life history of Silk and knowing how popular she was/is in this part of the country, the tale is a predictable fare. However, it is in the performances and dialog writing where the movie vaults itself onto a respectable pedestal, which so easily could’ve gone awfully awry otherwise due to it’s context. Vidya Balan is, and I’m eating my words here, probably the best thing to happen to this movie. She looks and acts every bit of the role, oozing with charm in both the modes, the timid wannabe star and then the transformed but troubled hottie. It’s striking the way she carries off this role, that requires her wearing her attitude on the sleeve throughout the film (a directorial touch in this aspect, I’m guessing, is in the ever peeping-out strap from under her blouse in the initial stages, which then progresses to constantly reveal a portion of what it holds behind it, in the later stages). For a good portion of the film, VB’s clad in costumes that seem just about sufficient to cover her essentials. Not in a single moment, though, does she appear conscious of it or uncomfortable with it, like as though she was possessed by the real Silk. :clap: Not just that, there’s a certain synchrony that she displays in her performance - her eyes, facial expressions, bulbous figure and strong voice, all gelling in perfect harmony - the sole factor redeeming this film, that could’ve otherwise so easily got slotted and trapped in the pornographic variety. And if at all the promos are guilty of being indicative of this, it’s a cunning promotional trick pulled off by producers, speaking of which, one must also comment on Ekta’a shrewdness. It’s a given that a large scale movie like this, based on the life history of a vamp, spiced up with a generous serving of oomph, is bound to make it big in collections. I’m not sure whose original idea this was, but in my reckoning, Ekta’s pounced on this opportunity even if it meant making, very strangely, a Hindi flim on a south-indian actress (and even setting the story in the thamizh film industry). They apparently tried to be authentic, but the end product is bizarre. And in the name of authenticity, we also have to put up with Hindi cinema’s baffling representation of south/Thamizh people yet again. In any audience or in gatherings, be it at a cinema hall or a party, be it a veshti and shirt or a pant and suit that the attire is, every other guy is shown wearing a vibhuthi on his forehead (and every lady with jasmine flowers on her hair). Yeah right, we’re traditional, thank you for the recognition. :tiwsted: This gets me thinking… when was the last time that we had a caricature Hindi character shown in Thamizh cinema? Anything at all in the last five years?

So much for the ranting, getting back to the film, dialog writing is another aspect that worked brilliantly for it. The dialogs are mostly in-the-face, explicit or hidden double-entendres, but they are really witty and intelligent and thankfully not too cheesy, which could’ve done real damage to the film. You’ll gape in awe at it’s perversion and laugh with it but rarely laugh at it. Quite an achievement in this setting! When a producer tells her that she’s going to be called ‘Silk’ from then on, she smiles and in a snap-response tells that he’d be called ‘keede das’ (keede=worms) because silk comes from silk worms! Local, yet incisive!

Dirty picture… pretty neat!

kid-glove
5th December 2011, 05:50 PM
Interesting post, KV. Confirms a lot of my fears. Is it being shown with subtitles?

kid-glove
5th December 2011, 05:52 PM
Incidentally, hollywood star Cruise attended premier of new MI film with Hollywood superstar Anil kapoor!

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/134866032.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA8987394418BB9B8B B252A1D018368A3625591D300964B2EF

Worldwide phenomenon Dhanush attended too..

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/134866031.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CAC95D1B3E59E89A11 B252A1D018368A368C8A2A39FBE70626

KV
5th December 2011, 06:09 PM
Not where I watched it. Maybe at the multiplexes, but I haven't seen that happening for Hindi movies here in Bangalore.

Querida
11th December 2011, 03:29 AM
Shaitan...having seen Dev D and Kalki thought I would give this one a chance too...what a ride!! Certainly keeps the pace up, the sheer blind rage of the characters, each one except the Parsi...the backstory of Kalki is of course a haunting clincher their spoilt rashness "where you will never have any problems" quickly goes very wrong and awry. Definitely recommend this one.

KV
23rd December 2011, 05:05 PM
Inga innum yaarum Dondoo paakkaliya?

VENKIRAJA
23rd December 2011, 05:32 PM
So, which are the best movies of the year?
Reccos please.
Pona varusham neenga solli LSD paarthen. Beetipul!

Siv.S
23rd December 2011, 06:50 PM
Don 2 unintentional laugh guaranteed,haven't seen Ra.one, but Don 2 will give tough competition...the biggest Don of Asia, yes a Don for kids... Innoru lead actor cameo vera irukku, Pichkaranukku sekurity pichakaaran than :lol2:

Siv.S
23rd December 2011, 06:52 PM
Shaitan...having seen Dev D and Kalki thought I would give this one a chance too...what a ride!! Certainly keeps the pace up, the sheer blind rage of the characters, each one except the Parsi...the backstory of Kalki is of course a haunting clincher their spoilt rashness "where you will never have any problems" quickly goes very wrong and awry. Definitely recommend this one.
I loved this movie :2thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
23rd December 2011, 07:31 PM
Farhan Akhtar sarakku avlodhaana :roll:

Plum
23rd December 2011, 07:59 PM
Edhukkum baradwaj rangan reviewkku wait pannunga. Akthar kudumbathu movieslaam avar pOdaRa mulaamla nallaVe jolikkum. Director yOsichadhai vida adhigamA yOsichu intricate nuances kandupidippaar...

KV
23rd December 2011, 08:06 PM
Illa illa, inimEl dhaan avaru vex aagi sarakkum kayyuma thiriya pOraaru. Saarug recent track record :thumbsup:

Balaji.r
23rd December 2011, 08:26 PM
So, which are the best movies of the year?
Reccos please.
Pona varusham neenga solli LSD paarthen. Beetipul!

yaarai kekurenu theriyala, but still.

Liked these movies Dhobhi Ghat, Shaitan, stanley ka dabba, ZNMD

Hated this --> 7 khoon maaf, VB cannot be excused for this movie.

1 time watch : Delhi belly, No one killed jessica and shor in the city.

yet to watch: yeh saali zindagi , Dirty picture and That girl in yellow boots. Hoping these would be good.

Sid_316
23rd December 2011, 09:00 PM
Pyaar ka punchnama has to be the movie of the year :devil:

Siv.S
23rd December 2011, 09:57 PM

Sarakkula irukkum pothu script ready panniruppanuga pola, Ameet Mehta,Amrish Shah also credited as a writer...

Agree with this below review wholeheartedly, had a great fun reading this review :rotfl2:

http://mihirfadnavis.blogspot.com/2011/12/don-2-review.html

With Shahrukh Khan, a huge budget, big explosions, a perfectly made up Priyanka Chopra as a Michelle Rodriguez-wannabe tank topped tough cop, and a heist plot, Don 2 has something for everyone. That is if 'everyone' is under the age of fifteen. The rest of us will likely wonder what happened to the need for a decent story or a well-written script. But if you like your cinema with snazzy illogical thrills, then Don 2 is fun enough junk.

The original 1978 Don is a cult classic because of Amitabh Bachchan's magnetism, solid characters, deft pacing and Zeenat Aman’s oomph. All the cheese was equipoised by the suave brilliance of Mr Bachchan. The 2006 Farhan Akhtar remake was an unintentionally hilarious, dopey, badly acted, commercially successful modern actioner. The best way to describe Don 2 is Plot Hole Porn. When it comes to logic, Don 2 is as woefully incompetent as its predecessor, except it flaunts a bigger budget for added ludicrous entertainment. Star Shahrukh Khan and director Akhtar once again never aim for the cerebral, and are happy to simply cobble together a bunch of glossy foreign -based action staples and hope it all works out. Only afterward, as you stroll out of the theater in a dizzy whir does one start to realize that one hasn't been impressed, but inadvertently entertained.

The plot of Don 2 is a glorious compendium of clichés. The film picks up almost immediately where the previous film left off. Don (Mr Khan) is now the Asian underworld kingpin, and has his sights set on the European market. He crafts a cunning plan to surrender himself to the Interpol and escape from prison with a certain inmate that he needs for his master plan of robbing currency plates from Berlin. The action immediately shifts to Europe, as Don starts rounding up a gang for the big heist, and we’re treated to over the top contrived car chases, an impossible rooftop stunt and some of the cheesiest dialogues in recent memory. The ending ‘twist’ is so predictable one can’t help but be stunned by the film’s Neanderthal mentality.

Throughout the movie Shahrukh Khan’s face sports a contorted expression that suggests the need for more fiber in his diet. He has neither the charisma, nor the personality nor the versatility of the great Amitabh Bachchan from the original film. Instead, he hams uncontrollably, even more so than in the 2006 film, almost like his life depends on it. The romantic angle between Don and Roma (Priyanka) is comically forced and sappy – moreover the chemistry between Shahrukh and Priyanka has as many sparks as a Mumbai blackout. Boman Irani as Vardhan and Aly Khan as Diwan nearly sleepwalk through their roles. Nawwab Shah as Jabbar gives The Incredible Hulk a complex – not in terms of muscle but in wooden acting. Somewhere in the midst of all of this, Lara Dutta keeps popping up as Don’s girlfriend in what is arguably the most hysterically clichéd unnecessary vamp character stereotype to grace the big screen since Drew Barrymore in Batman and Robin. Om Puri, in his career worst role is gloriously campy – he almost tells us that we're meant to laugh at him, not with him.

The original Don had the classics ‘Khaike Paan Banaras wala’ and ‘Yeh mera Dil’. Don: The Chase Begins Again had Midival Punditz’s passable remixes of the same. Don 2 has horribly composed and poorly sung remixes of the remixes of the previous film. They seem like the result of a bar bet gone horribly wrong.

Analyzing the logical aspects of Don 2 is where one can really start to lose one’s mind. When I said the characters indulge in Plot Hole Porn, I wasn’t exaggerating. Don’s master plan is a real head-scratcher. The screenplay goes out of its way not only to make Don some sort of a genius, but also to outdo the previous film’s uproariously stupid plan of Don pretending to be Vijay who pretends to be Don, thereby destroying his own gang and jeopardizing his own business that he worked so hard to build. There's enough limp-wristed contrivance in Don 2 to set back the Dhoom films a few decades. Don’s strategy of using explosives is itself rigged to disintegrate if a moviegoer's IQ nudges above 70. Three different people were credited with writing Don 2 (Akhtar, Ameeth Mehta and Amrish Shah), and I bet they're still arguing over who deserves recognition for the part where Interpol cop Priyanka Chopra pursues Don in a car for ten whole minutes but never bothers to call for backup. Don wears a Mission Impossible-esque plastic mask of another man (a great cameo from an A-list actor), but he also speaks with the actor’s voice. Don, the most wanted man in the world also carries bungee jump kits strapped to his back when he goes out for strolls in public.

Without a doubt, the technical credits are superior to any Indian film to date, and the cinematography by Jason West is truly gorgeous. Also, Don 2 is never boring, thanks to its dazzling special effects that aid the actors flip, fly, jump, dropkick, punch and kick each other like jackhammers. The slow-mo Matrix Kung Fu Karate from the 2006 film makes way for some decent hand-to-hand combat. Of course none of this compensates for the overfamiliar plotline, the amusingly underdeveloped side characters, SEL’s insipid soundtrack and a general air of overbaked over expensive silliness. Priyanka Chopra and Lara Dutta are as attractive as the Berlin locales, plus the film is occasionally funny, even if the laughs come mostly during the movie's most dramatic, heartfelt moments.

If you’re looking for a smart thriller, then Don 2 is a train wreck of bad lines and predictable plot twists. But it is astonishingly daft, and so profoundly earnest that it is uniquely, hilariously enjoyable. It’s so bad that it’s good

KV
24th December 2011, 12:11 AM
Dhobi Ghat - my pick of 2011. Personal, poetic, lazy, self-indulgent. Kiran, namakku kadachcha Sofia Copolla. :bow:
Manja boots, Dirty picture, Shaitan - firepower performances. Pretty good, but could've reached higher. I'd even bracket Rockstar in this, but that was a Ranbir-only marathon, ammini suththa dhandam.
Stanley ka dabba - predictable, but warm, fun and great timepass.
pyar ka punchnama - whacky, wordy, in-the-face, fun ride.
NK Jessica, Aarakshan - paraalla.
7 khoon maaf - saami Emaathirchu. :(

Wanted to watch, but missed - I Am, Delhi Belly, Mausam, 404

sathya_1979
24th December 2011, 01:40 AM
Nargis lipskkaagavE reNdaavadhu dhabaa pOi paarthEn :oops:

Plum
24th December 2011, 06:21 AM
Vishwaroop alert for Bala -"SEL music is insipid".

sathya_1979
24th December 2011, 06:34 AM
it's the manager's (director's) responsibility to motivate and extract the best out of employee (music director) :lol2:

Plum
24th December 2011, 06:50 AM
Batsman form-la illaina, captain evlo motivate pannaalum thERAdhu. Anyway, my problems with SEL are long standing - there is something "light" about their music which always prevents me from giving a serious listen - not a single song from them in my hard drive, when even Gimesh(ofcourse thanks to manager kamal), pritam et all have a corner of my C:

sathya_1979
24th December 2011, 07:01 AM
:saack: not even kadavul paadhi? amazing song sir!

Bala (Karthik)
24th December 2011, 03:20 PM
Plum - yeah, difficult to disagree - they have done very few great/very good songs. Irundhaalum, consider:

Alavandhaan - Aalavandhaan and Kadavul Paadhi nalla paadalgal saar

DCH - Tanhayee, DCH (reprise)

Matradhu nyabagam vandha solren

VENKIRAJA
24th December 2011, 05:54 PM
yaarai kekurenu theriyala, but still.
apdiye podhuvila kekkuradhu dhaan ;)

Dhobhi Ghat, Shaitan, stanley ka dabba, ZNMD

Pyaar ka punchnaama

Dhobi Ghat, Manja boots, Dirty picture, Shaitan, Stanley ka dabba, pyar ka punchnama

kid-glove
24th December 2011, 06:23 PM
I liked Alavandhaan BGM than ARR's for Indhiyan & Thenali.

Balaji.r
24th December 2011, 07:15 PM
Alavandhan BGM by Mahesh. SEL never does BGM for his movie.

Lakshaya songs were good. As well the movie Arman *ing sr bachan and preity zinta had some good number`s by SEL

Plum
24th December 2011, 08:21 PM
Adhu dhaan fraablem bala. I remember being mildly pleased by dch, aalavandhaan but quote pannlaamna oru paattum gnaabagam varala

directhit
25th December 2011, 06:00 PM
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article2744512.ece :lol:

Imagine this. You're in prison. You haven't eaten all day. And someone tells you: You have 15 minutes to come up with a script for the Don sequel. And you can walk free.

No time to think. You start with the punchlines first. Obviously, you begin with the epic one that the 1978 film made popular. “Don Ko Pakadna Mushkil Hi Nahin, Na Mumkin Hai”. You come up with a couple of good ones. But since you're running out of time, you just fill in Punchline Nos. 13, 26 and 49 with the same “Don Ko Pakadna” line.

Too much pressure. But you are in prison and need to get out. Fine, put that in the first act. Don is in prison. But wait, he can't get caught according to the best punchline you have. Ok, so he got himself in.

But why? You don't know. Ok, so you write “Don smiles mysteriously.” Ten minutes left.

You continue scribbling… Don is in prison. But Don has many a dushman (arch-enemy in Don-speak) there. Ok, let's say Don has come to break one of his enemies out of prison. Say Vardhan (Boman Irani). Why? You don't know. So you write “Don smiles mysteriously.” You can think of the why later.

Now you are really stuck.

All you can think of is prison and prison food. Stale fish served last week had inmates down with food poisoning. Brainwave. Engineer food-poisoning and break jail.

All that thought of food is getting you hungry. What you would not give for a plate of leftovers. A brainwave again. Don wants to steal plates. Plates? Five minutes left.

Focus. YOU want a plate of food. Don probably just wants to steal plates used to make money. How? Write “Don smiles mysteriously.”

Think harder. Don's a chase film. You can't just change genre and make it a heist film. That would be blasphemy. But you need to get out before prison gives you nightmares straight out of snuff porn films.

Fourteen minutes are up. Don steals the plates. How? Action scenes. Let action director figure that out. Also add, “Don smiles mysteriously.” Lame big shocking twist. Obvious one but time up. The End.

So you smile mysteriously and hand over your script. You're free.

It turns out that Farhan Akhtar who has ambitions of making a slick-looking film like Ocean's Eleven with stunts from Mission Impossible has already started shoot before he's read your script.

Since it's the sequel, the actors already know what they are doing. Shah Rukh Khan walks in suits, reels of slow motion shots are canned and bottles of hair gel are sacrificed, take after take.

Lara Dutta shakes it to the tune of the title track of the previous film since she's been told the song will be just like the old one.

Priyanka knows she has to say all her lines exactly the same way when she speaks to Don. With the emotion dripping out of a certain Beatles song that goes: “I want you. I want you so bad.”

SRK loves the punchlines. They glorify him. Wait till Sallu hears them.

“Let me do it again,” says Shah Rukh after every line. “A punchline needs to be delivered in style.” But Mr. Khan, there are some 50 punchlines in here, says the assistant director. “It's ok. They love me,” he opens his arms wide, smirks and delivers it like Punchline No. 51 looking at us.

They are at the scene where Don can just trigger off an explosion and escape but that would mean SRK doesn't get a chance to say a good line. “Well, we have to shoot Roma then,” says the action director. Bang. Roma is shot. And timing presents itself. “Little does Don's Dushman know that before he can make a move, Don has already made his next,” says Don. Boom.

The editor wishes his studio exploded and didn't have to put this together. But he's getting a fat cheque. He does his job to the best of his ability and is almost done when he hears that line “Don Ko Pakadna Mushkil hi nahin...”

Screw it, says the editor, stops it right before SRK could finish the line and walks out.

End credits slapped together with a song recorded even before the script was written. The film releases. And a critic scratches his head wondering if he should take this cheesy action entertainer seriously enough to dissect or analyse it.

“Ok, whatever I can type in 15 minutes,” he says.

Don 2

Genre: Action

Director: Farhan Akhtar

Cast: Shah Rukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta, Boman Irani, Kunal Kapoor

Storyline: Don is a smartass. Don is a smartass. Don is a smartass. Repeat statement scene after scene.

Bottomline: Ra.One was the smarter SRK film this year.

directhit
25th December 2011, 06:04 PM
Pyaar ka punchnama has to be the movie of the year :devil: Been seeing the same view shared by many in the hub and tuitter etc.. but padam was soora mokka for me, vayasaayiducho?! :roll:

Balaji.r
25th December 2011, 08:42 PM
Been seeing the same view shared by many in the hub and tuitter etc.. but padam was soora mokka for me, vayasaayiducho?! :roll:

:lol: you are not alone. film started off well, beyond a point it was boring.

littlemaster1982
25th December 2011, 09:25 PM
I liked Alavandhaan BGM than ARR's for Indhiyan & Thenali.

Thenali's BGM was done by Sabesh-Murali.

Bala (Karthik)
26th December 2011, 07:24 AM
Been seeing the same view shared by many in the hub and tuitter etc.. but padam was soora mokka for me
:exactly: Vikraman/Sedhan Bhagat would have been proud, in spite of the guy worship here...

PR,
I remember reading something about the director/writer of this film being anointed as our Woody Allen. Edhavadhu seinga please, if you haven't already

P_R
26th December 2011, 08:26 AM
Equa, Compli reNdu pERum padaththai fayangaramA thittunaanga, adhunaala naan paarkkalai.

PR,
I remember reading something about the director/writer of this film being anointed as our Woody Allen. Edhavadhu seinga please, if you haven't already

I think he himself mentioned it in a intree.

And iLaval equa's reaction on twitter was: "Woody Allen pERai eduththennA mudhal dead body nee dhaan dA"

directhit
26th December 2011, 10:29 AM
I think he himself mentioned it in a intree. nah, i remember it was this Sudhish Kamath who put word in his mouths...

Bala (Karthik)
26th December 2011, 11:03 AM
DH
Found Sudhish Comet's review (http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article2037784.ece):

When she says she's leaving him, our hero falls in her lap and cries helplessly, like a child that does not want his mother to leave on the first day of school. He has no words, just helpless resignation and shameless tears. She's broken him down. She knows exactly what buttons to hit to reduce the most self-respecting man to a submissive child stripped of all ego.

It's very rare to see an Indian film show this side of the modern woman and more importantly, this aspect of the modern man. The image of the macho hero is broken and shattered to bits, thanks to Luv Ranjan's heart-warming bittersweet tale of buddies, bonding and girl trouble.

Be warned, this is not a date movie. Far from it. In fact, taking your girlfriend to this film guarantees a fight unless she can deal with what goes on in a guy's mind. Pyaar Ka Punchnama is a film that's straight from a heart that you never knew existed in men and it's likely to be celebrated as a cult film for its depiction of man as the weaker sex, struggling to understand the complex creatures that women are and failing to cope with the pangs of living with them.

The Hollywood celebration of this vulnerability has resulted in some truly memorable films of all time. From Billy Wilder's The Apartment in the Sixties to Woody Allen's Annie Hall in the Seventies to Cameron Crowe's Say Anything of the Eighties to Nick Hornby's High Fidelity in the Nineties, all the way to the recent 500 Days of Summer, the hopeless romantic is a timeless type.

What's refreshing in Pyaar Ka Punchnama is that director Luv Ranjan decides to tell us the story of not just one but three seemingly different men in three different kinds of relationships with a purposeful sense of capturing the larger truth about women and relationships. Rajat (Kartik), Choudhary (Raayo) and Liquid (Divyendu) are best buddies who fall in love with three girls with varying attitudes towards commitment. Rajat's girlfriend is committed; Choudhary's fling does not understand commitment, while Liquid's “just-friend” does not even acknowledge let alone accept their bond.

Never has so much relationship gyaan been pumped into one film and this is clearly ‘When Harry Met Sally' of our modern cinema. Sample the six-minute long single shot monologue where Rajat lets out all the pent-up angst after a fight with his girlfriend. Understandably, the audience in the hall was in splits for the entire duration of that rant because someone there on screen said out loud what not many men wouldn't find words to articulate. A fantastic thesis on the behavioural patterns of the woman during an argument.

It's interesting that the girls go beyond stereotype. They aren't just evil, plain cunning or opportunists as films in this genre often turn out to be. They are real people who want love too and know to get it from exactly who they want and when they want. They can bring you extreme happiness, joy and shower you with love but are totally capable of hitting the demolish button at their will and fancy.

If the highly selfish, larger-than-life, rich kids from Dil Chahta Hai set the mood and tone for the youth over the last decade, the more relatable guys next door from Pyaar Ka Punchnama manage to do the same for this generation without commanding any of the star appeal that the Khans brought to the Farhan Akhtar film. And that is testimony to the quality of writing and acting of this ensemble.

It would be unfair to call this a coming-of-age comedy. It's an utterly romantic bromance that takes a candid look at relationships and that wretched thing called love. Luv Ranjan, clearly the debut filmmaker of the year, has an uncompromising vision and confidence to switch from laugh-out-loud comedy to indulgent drama to angst-ridden rock and even paces it as unevenly as life itself, something that may not go down well with those looking for just laughs.

But, Guys, if you will watch only one movie this year, this is it. Girls, if you have ever wondered what goes on in the mind of every guy, this is it.

Sometimes, the baby. Sometimes, the substitute and sometimes, the dog. Such is the life of man.

equanimus
26th December 2011, 12:23 PM
All this rave from the same reviewer who gets all "but what about the impact on society?" when discussing Selvaraghavan's love stories*. Look how agreeable, and refreshing even, it all becomes if the class conflict is avoided!

* Except mayakkam enna, of course. And doesn't this also point to the same? This is one film where Selvaraghavan avoids class conflict and the question of social status as such (not that it's wrong).

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 02:02 PM
Equa & Sildish had a mini twitter ruckus IIRC..

equanimus
26th December 2011, 02:14 PM
He he, actually, not quite. Complicateur retweeted my tweet, which raised its visibility and Sudhish was understandably offended. There was some minor heated exchange, after which we closed it on polite terms as there was no point debating at all.

Bala (Karthik)
26th December 2011, 02:17 PM
Cha, idha naan miss pannittane!

VENKIRAJA
26th December 2011, 02:29 PM
Woody Allen kambaerisan ellam too much.
Still, PKP is very enjoyable and is much better comedy than Delhi Belly, devoid of Fart or Poop jokes all along.
Frankly, I have not seen a better interpretation/ portrayal of Modern relationships in Indhiya.

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 03:15 PM
He he, actually, not quite. Complicateur retweeted my tweet, which raised its visibility and Sudhish was understandably offended. There was some minor heated exchange, after which we closed it on polite terms as there was no point debating at all.

Which is surprising, considering the person in question.

equanimus
26th December 2011, 03:16 PM
Let me add that I wouldn't particularly rebuke those who like this film at a superficial level. It's like enjoying a string of jokes well aware of how stereotypical it is and so on. Quite like what Bala (Karthik) once said of Visu's family melodramas. That's not a problem, but to invoke Woody Allen, modern relationships et al. is to say too much.

equanimus
26th December 2011, 03:24 PM
Which is surprising, considering the person in question.It's hard to make impolite conversation when addressing someone directly, no? Otherwise I still find his writings on film an affront to my sensibilities.

For instance, his recent (http://twitter.com/#!/SudhishKamath/status/150861087909228545) couple (http://twitter.com/#!/SudhishKamath/status/150863274026598400) of tweets about the name of Vikram's character (Anal Murugan) in Rajapattai, which I stumbled upon, is idiotic and clueless.

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 03:30 PM
To invoke Allen at a superficial level as he has done, didn't seem all problematic to me.

I have this demeaning sensation that he'd actually view WA films in little more elementary manner, suited to his sensibilities. To strip a Critic of his own background, troubles me to no end.

equanimus
26th December 2011, 03:37 PM
I wasn't talking to him, k-g! I just facepalm-ed at how clueless the comment was.

equanimus
26th December 2011, 03:40 PM
That is to say, that comment is not at all why I actually dislike his writings in the first place. So yes, you're right that, as a standalone comment, it's nothing more than way off target.

lydayaxobia493
26th December 2011, 03:48 PM
ZNMD must watch at least 5 times...wonderful movie

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 03:53 PM
What I'm trying to say is. People stripping WA of his Jewish Manhattan background, his own physical-intellectual equation, etc, is beginning to trouble me, as well. This is true of any filmmaker. Be it Scorsese, Spike Lee, Lumet, Coppola, their class, race & intellectual leanings (be it through books/interviews/wikipedia) enriches my understanding of their films, relationships, class conflict, and heck, "their" NY.

And a critic's job is to make sense of it. He has to filter through filmmaker's glasses, not just his. Let's assume the person is urban middle/upper middle class chennai PSBB-ian. How he would have filtered it through his own glasses, stripping it off the intended nuances & meaning (P_R's eyes widen up), is easily revealed in his reviews. Now, if I could identify with this person, I would identify with his position on the filmmaker/film. Unfortunately, the only feelings I hold to him/his critiquing is amusement, with a tinge of aversion. And to me, these days especially, it's getting harder & harder to identify with most critical positions. I have to really, really identify with the critic first, or at least be convinced that the critiquing isn't defaced of the presupposed conception & choices made by the writer/filmmaker. At least, a gesture of acknowledgment, would suit fine. Perhaps it's also the style of writing that bothers me.

P_R
26th December 2011, 04:10 PM
sabbaas...nallavarundra.

equanimus
26th December 2011, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately, the only feelings I hold to him/his critiquing is amusement, with a tinge of aversion.I didn't get the overall drift, but why do you assume (if you do) mine is any different? I've never so much as mentioned him just to make a deriding remark!

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 04:26 PM
No, I got that. Just unwinding my own feelings on this issue. Btw, have you tried his philums? :mrgreen:

P_R
26th December 2011, 04:28 PM
I don't quite hate his writing as many of you do.
But then I don't follow film reviews closely - either his or BR's or anyones. Opinions and discussions I have here :lol2:
(I read Confli's express reviews every week - adhu vERa department)

When I read it a newspaper review I simply want to know what the film is about and whether it is 'oru thadavai paakkalaam' or not.
I find the star ratings, vigadan marks and telling-the-story all quite useful.
Of course, all these are things reviewers are lampooned for doing. But hey, I am just a ruthless, short-on-attention reader.

'I think I get why you are saying what you are saying. I know what to expect' is the kind of reaction I have to reviews.
So from a purely utilitarian PoV, I am hardly ever as annoyed as you guys are, after reading his reviews.
And when he cruelly rips apart a film, sometimes it is quite fun. adhu thozhil dharmamA etc. are not things that interest me.

I remember the social irresponsibility rant about 7G. 'vazhippOkkan sollalaam, oru critic ippadi sollappadaadhu' 'ngra maadhiri ellAm naan react paNradhu illai.

equanimus
26th December 2011, 04:55 PM
Hate ellAm strong word. Even I don't. Just that I feel free to be annoyed by patronising reviews such as his. "'vazhippOkkan sollalaam, oru critic ippadi sollappadaadhu'" 'nnellAm sollalayE. yAr sonnAlum kELvi kEkkaRadhu dhAn. (nAn vItlayE ippallAm silarai vidaRadhillai... vayasAyiduchillaiyA.)

Bala (Karthik)
26th December 2011, 05:07 PM
Venkiraja
Haven't you read the jokes/cliches about boyfriend/girlfriend, girlfriend is right, custumber is king etc?
And ennanga modern interpretation? Moonu perum wimps (Sudhish hates wimpy portrayals) on a Vikraman scale - here the problem is not portraying a wimp, at a time la moonu perukkum lined up-aa similar events, similar wimpy reactions, and then a closure Chetan Bhagat would have been proud of. WA comparison ellaam pesave vendaam, adha vidunga - Idhula engerndhu complex unraveling of women, relationships ellaam?
And nayagan sogathula guitar-a eduthu vaasikka aarambikkaraaru, sevuthulayum kadhavulayum Pink Floyd - idhukku namma Sudhish "has an uncompromising vision and confidence to switch from laugh-out-loud comedy to indulgent drama to angst-ridden rock" !!!!

Actually indha padatha paathu pengal offend-aavaangala? :lol2:

Bala (Karthik)
26th December 2011, 05:12 PM
Equa
Regarding the point about class , just a guess - i think it may be something personal to him. Based on some experience(s), perhaps... Kindal adikkanum nu sollala, baadhikka patrukkaar nu nenaikkaren

equanimus
26th December 2011, 05:14 PM
No, I got that. Just unwinding my own feelings on this issue. Btw, have you tried his philums? :mrgreen:No, haven't seen his films.

And when he cruelly rips apart a film, sometimes it is quite fun. adhu thozhil dharmamA etc. are not things that interest me.Btw, there have been instances where I've also found his rip-apart reviews funny. idhellAm nadakkAma irundhirundhA dhAn criticize paNNanumA enna?

Bala (Karthik)
26th December 2011, 05:16 PM
+1

"Play each ball on its merit" - objective na appadi oru objective :razz:

Plum
26th December 2011, 05:21 PM
Sudhish comet :lol: - indhALai ban paNNungappA for "untimely generation of laughs in the midst of Sr Mgmt meeting, thereby endangering an innocent corporate career" :evil:

P_R
26th December 2011, 05:23 PM
Btw, there have been instances where I've also found his rip-apart reviews funny. idhellAm nadakkAma irundhirundhA dhAn criticize paNNanumA enna?
appadillAm illai. adhu baattukku adhu, idhu baattukku idhu.
I wanted to point out that my afroach to reviews is more superficial.

Just that I feel free to be annoyed by patronising reviews such as his. Of course. Oru indhiya kudimagan...

"'vazhippOkkan sollalaam, oru critic ippadi sollappadaadhu'" 'nnellAm sollalayE.
NeengannA neenga illai. I clumping you together all those who have been having blogs since time immemorial and are familiar with world of intense opinion-exchange. adhOda neetchiyA paakkuREn.

I don't quite argue, disagree etc. as I tend to do in the Hub. Newspaper-la varradhu ellAm oru distance, disinterest, vandhavarai laabam - maadhiri padippEn.

btw bloggers-turned-hubbers-aiyin, hubbers-turned-bloggers-aiyin reNdu jaadhiyaa piRikka paakkuREn :lol2:

Plum
26th December 2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah, when Comet rips apart, it is usually a guilyt pleasure - SiNs, Kisna review ellaam masterpiece in that genre :lol:. Bala - avar baadhikka patta kadhaiya neRaiya avaru blog-la avarE volunteerA ezhudhi irukkAr. But class conflictlaam adhula vandhudhaannu gnaabagam illai...

P_R
26th December 2011, 05:37 PM
Internet vambu archivist non-pareil Flau, pliss give link.

Bala (Karthik)
26th December 2011, 05:40 PM
But class conflictlaam adhula vandhudhaannu gnaabagam illai...
//DIG
Nalla velai. I have a big problem with people writing "vandhadhu", "irundhadhu" etc (instead of "vandhuchu"/"vandhudhu") when they write in conversational Tamil. Remba uncomfortable-a feel aagum. Naama ezhudhum podhu, naama ezhudharadhu namma kaadhukku kettu thaane ezhudhuvom. Why does one then use a spelling which doesn't gel with how it is pronounced?
//

littlemaster1982
26th December 2011, 05:48 PM
//DIG
Nalla velai. I have a big problem with people writing "vandhadhu", "irundhadhu" etc (instead of "vandhuchu"/"vandhudhu") when they write in conversational Tamil. Remba uncomfortable-a feel aagum. Naama ezhudhum podhu, naama ezhudharadhu namma kaadhukku kettu thaane ezhudhuvom. Why does one then use a spelling which doesn't gel with how it is pronounced?
//

Neengale light-a slip aayitteenga :p

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 05:56 PM
Correspondent: You got into a fight with Alexander Walker, a man who, by the way, you’ve outlived. Other critics have called your films monstrously indecent. Walker was not the first one. So why did you hit tap him on the head, or beat him on the head, with a newspaper. I’m curious. Do you remember what was going on in your mind at the time? Or did you finally have enough of all these critics who were needlessly shitting upon what I think is a remarkable output?

Russell: Well, I guess I got tired of him putting me down. When he said, “You change things. We actually see Oliver Reed’s testicles crushed.” And I said, “Excuse me. That’s in your mind.” We don’t see his testicles crushed. Because they weren’t crushed. Only in your dirty little mind, you pig. And so he took exception to that. So I hit him over the head with his own review. Which happened to be a tissue of lies from start to finish. So that was a reason.

----------

It'd please me to no ends if someone does this to SK...

KV
26th December 2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah, when Comet rips apart, it is usually a guilyt pleasure - SiNs, Kisna review ellaam masterpiece in that genre :lol:. Bala - avar baadhikka patta kadhaiya neRaiya avaru blog-la avarE volunteerA ezhudhi irukkAr. But class conflictlaam adhula vandhudhaannu gnaabagam illai...
adhe! paya nEththu dondoo va kadichchu kodhareettaan. oru alpa sandosam :noteeth:

Bala (Karthik)
26th December 2011, 06:08 PM
Neengale light-a slip aayitteenga :p
LM
:notthatway:
Ezhudharadhu/Ezhudhuradhu != Irundhadhu

littlemaster1982
26th December 2011, 06:16 PM
LM
:notthatway:
Ezhudharadhu/Ezhudhuradhu != Irundhadhu

:oops: OK.

Sunil_M88
28th December 2011, 04:05 AM
Spent Boxing Day watching Koyla. SRK delivers his finest performance ever. This, Swades and to an extent Ram-Jaane are my all time SRK favs.

VENKIRAJA
6th January 2012, 07:46 PM
:oops: ippo dhaan parkuren..

Venkiraja
And ennanga modern interpretation? Moonu perum wimps (Sudhish hates wimpy portrayals) on a Vikraman scale - here the problem is not portraying a wimp, at a time la moonu perukkum lined up-aa similar events, similar wimpy reactions, and then a closure Chetan Bhagat would have been proud of.
:lol: Agreed. It was very much a Stage Drama/ the recent trend - short movies. Yes, just that it felt like a good one.

Idhula engerndhu complex unraveling of women, relationships ellaam?
And nayagan sogathula guitar-a eduthu vaasikka aarambikkaraaru, sevuthulayum kadhavulayum Pink Floyd - idhukku namma Sudhish "has an uncompromising vision and confidence to switch from laugh-out-loud comedy to indulgent drama to angst-ridden rock" !!!!
naan kaambilex-nu ellam sollalaye. interpretation-nu dhaan sonnen
Precisely, I liked it better than DCH.

Actually indha padatha paathu pengal offend-aavaangala? :lol2:
aaf kors not.
indha padatha egoobitha oogobitha-nu ellam sollaleeng.. just that it was a good timepass movie.. ;)

Nerd
6th January 2012, 09:36 PM
Pyaar ka punchanamam was pure torchal. And it had ugly gEls too. Waste of the time.

Watched 7KM on the flight back. Mudiayalai :-( innum manja boots mattum paarkkalai. Very very worst year for Bolly I thing.

Prabo
15th January 2012, 07:20 PM
Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara :clap: Kadi'ya irukkumnu ninachaen, but the movie was good.

Hrithik should do action oriented movies, but not like Krish

P_R
22nd January 2012, 12:39 PM
Hulla
Lovely film :clap:
Karthika Rane :slurp:

innum konjam complex-A explore paNNi irukkalaam.
anga inga acting sumArA irunch, found the dream-scene slightly overdone and predictable. But otherwise lovely.
Jaideep Varma, yaaruppA nee?

Plum
22nd January 2012, 03:38 PM
Jaideep Varma - script writer for Kashyapar and Varma kalai I think

Siv.S
25th January 2012, 01:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGMSuIxx7o

anisha_astrologer
25th January 2012, 03:05 PM
Last I watched was ZNMD. It was a good movie with a much better message about life. the performances from the Star Cast was also good. Taught valuable lesson about life to let go.