PDA

View Full Version : Which is the last Bollywood film you saw ?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

MADDY
4th January 2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah, anyone who criticises aamir acting o madhavan's "natural" acting is maha paavi/visha kirumi/velaiyathava. Nice.

ada, edho oru blogger dhaan appadi sonnaaru-nnu nenachhu sollitten :lol: ........then i checked it was ur post in tamil films section :lol: .......

Aamir khjan has always been a great actor - including tum mere ho, mann, mela, love love love, deewana mujhsa nahin etc. Nadigar thilagathukkappuram ava dhaan. Sory NT avar kaal dhoosu pera maattar. Nt natural nadippu madhavanai paathu kathukkanum.
Ok-vA?

yen ivalavu reactions?? kamal have had bad films, really forgettable ones - does that make them a lesser actor?? indha bad examples kadha ellam othhukave mudiyadhu (IMO, only arr and koundar have very few bad examples)......

NT-a pathhi ellam inga pesi, u r doing a disservice to him - avalavudhaan solla mudiyum :)

Nerd
4th January 2010, 09:00 AM
Koodal nagar ellAm examples of good acting. 3i - muyaRchi nadippu.

:lol2: :yessir:

And "muyarchi"??? I did not see any *efforts*. Good/bad is subjective, I agree but muyarchi?? which scene(s)?

Plum
4th January 2010, 10:26 AM
Intro scenelEyE...thinking hard to fashion a.shock-therapy machine. Trying hard to look like a youngster. Like annotating every word written in the script, trying to emote every small reaction...nothing wrong with it but the effort shows.
Madhavan was better in that I do agree he came across as natural except for appearance, where he looked the oldest of the three, although I believe aamir's age lines were digitally erased to make him look younger(anybody's guess why same courtesy wasn't extended to maddy because the net effect was that maddy looked the oldest?maybe vanity in play on khan's part.)

The film itself suffers from shoddy writing (how many suicide references to drive home the point; a thousand similar urine and toilet jokes; thousand dropping the pant scenes), aged protagonists trying hard to look young a- sorry even the non chalant maddy looked more like a young professor - and as with hirani's previous movies, a dummy female protagonist.

When I read fps, cringed at a bad bollywood movie like script; when I heard that it was being made as 3i, was glad since I thought nobody can salvage a good screenplay out of that. Then the reviews made me think hirani might have dunnit afterall. But hirani has done the unbelievable of making bhagat look like a better writer. Ok, let this be hailed as a great movie - if bollywood standards can be lowered like this movie and become a hit, good. I like that. If a couple of bharadwaj and kashyap films flop now, the money bags will slowly bring bolly down to this level. I'll not be unhappy with that :-)

kid-glove
4th January 2010, 02:36 PM
Aamir was such a 'bland' actor. I though he was going to be a Rishi kapoor. But fair play to him, he has become a good marketer for scripts and success. Yes, he takes scripts where he could be fairly 'natural'. Doesn't elevate him to be a big nadigar thilagam either. :lol:

Like annotating every word written in the script, trying to emote every small reaction...nothing wrong with it but the effort shows.
:thumbsup: I haven't seen 3 Idiots, but pretty much 'Aamir acting masterclass' for me. :lol:

MADDY
4th January 2010, 03:30 PM
Intro scenelEyE...thinking hard to fashion a.shock-therapy machine. Trying hard to look like a youngster. Like annotating every word written in the script, trying to emote every small reaction...nothing wrong with it but the effort shows.

this can be told for any actor/many scenes :? .....to me, the scene was trying to be too smart and there was nothing much anyone can do abt it.....

although I believe aamir's age lines were digitally erased to make him look younger(anybody's guess why same courtesy wasn't extended to maddy because the net effect was that maddy looked the oldest?maybe vanity in play on khan's part.)

first of all u make a ridiculous assumption and then u confirm urself that it was "digital erasing"......then u go on to provoke maddy fans by asking why this "imaginary" digital erasing was not applied to Maddy.......honestly, u r impossible.....if u care to watch a couple of Aamir's interviews, he would appear the same as he appeared in the movie......if Maddy had come in like Guru's role, he would have looked apt.....but pray god, we had so many uncle figures in colleges - infact my best frnd was like that....

The film itself suffers from shoddy writing (how many suicide references to drive home the point; a thousand similar urine and toilet jokes; thousand dropping the pant scenes),

agree 100%.....i dont think even Nerd and me deny this......it is bad writing/characterisations/cliche filmmaking.....to me, masala movies is all about seizing the "caricaturized moments" and 3I did it with quite a lot of sucess in most scenes......

If a couple of bharadwaj and kashyap films flop now, the money bags will slowly bring bolly down to this level. I'll not be unhappy with that :-)

atlast, 3I makes u accept Kashyap is a good filmmaker.....hopefully "my name is khan" will make u accept Imtiaz as well....

Plum, i completely understand abt ur point on madhavan's role in 3I (not agree) but i have to vehemently disagree with other points.....

Yes, he takes scripts where he could be fairly 'natural'. Doesn't elevate him to be a big nadigar thilagam either.

he is not trying to be another nadigar thilagam (he can never be is another point).....i see a lot of "desperation" in trying to reduce Aamir khan in whatever he does.....i donno where the "insecurity" is flowing from......

kid-glove
4th January 2010, 03:33 PM
Well, I can't take "rishi-kapoor-greatness' syndrome.

Since you tend to psychoanalyze my reactions/desperations, you may want to let me know where the insecurity is stemming from..

MADDY
4th January 2010, 03:37 PM
Well, I can't take "rishi-kapoor-greatness' syndrome.

its convenience to club Rishi Kapoor and Aamir Khan in one umbrella......i can make equally astonishing equations but yea i have completed my quota long back :lol:

MADDY
4th January 2010, 03:41 PM
Since you tend to psychoanalyze my reactions/desperations, you may want to let me know where the insecurity is stemming from..

sorry abt that but whatever u post abt Aamir seems to be telling "i dont like Aamir"....

kid-glove
4th January 2010, 03:48 PM
I like Aamir. Extremely good actor, but doesn't deserve the hoopla. Needless to say, IMHO. I don't have to use 'imho' in all my posts because it is implied by default.

Plum
4th January 2010, 04:09 PM
While Aamir has definitely outgrown Rishi Kapoorness, he obviously isnt a great actor by any definition. Infact, I have problems with Bhuvan *itself*.

As regards insecurity, the only one who gives me insecurity as a Kamal fan is Vishal B. But since I love Vishal from his days as composer(right from Maachis), this insecurity doesnt dissolve much into my system.

Aamir as an actor has to reach Bachchan first. He is definitely better than Saarug gaan but that surely does not warrant saying out. It is obvious.

Aamir as a film maker - and I can only laugh at Kamal haters who started trotting out "Kamal must learn from Aamir on film making" during TZP's succesful run - is still taking baby steps. Will be long before he causes insecurity as a film maker.

I wont blame 3I's shoddiness on Aamir, though. That credit must go to the overrated Rajkumar Hirani, who - blasphemy alert - helmed two above-average previous movies, which, unfortunately, got hyped as great ones. Aamir surely must have had his inputs but many of the problematic moments had a munnabhai touch in them so I suspect Hirani is the culprit.
(And what's with the endless urinating. Talk about pissing off the viewers!)

Plum
4th January 2010, 04:12 PM
As regards Kashyap, my contention has always been that I am not much of a weld movies fan, and hence he leaves me cold, given that his strength, is apparently, channeling weld movies. It doesnt alter the fact that he is a significant player in raising the quality of Bollywood movies. Just not my cup of tea.

kid-glove
4th January 2010, 04:47 PM
While Aamir has definitely outgrown Rishi Kapoorness, he obviously isnt a great actor by any definition. Infact, I have problems with Bhuvan *itself*.

As regards insecurity, the only one who gives me insecurity as a Kamal fan is Vishal B. But since I love Vishal from his days as composer(right from Maachis), this insecurity doesnt dissolve much into my system.

Aamir as an actor has to reach Bachchan first. He is definitely better than Saarug gaan but that surely does not warrant saying out. It is obvious.

Aamir as a film maker - and I can only laugh at Kamal haters who started trotting out "Kamal must learn from Aamir on film making" during TZP's succesful run - is still taking baby steps. Will be long before he causes insecurity as a film maker.

I wont blame 3I's shoddiness on Aamir, though. That credit must go to the overrated Rajkumar Hirani, who - blasphemy alert - helmed two above-average previous movies, which, unfortunately, got hyped as great ones. Aamir surely must have had his inputs but many of the problematic moments had a munnabhai touch in them so I suspect Hirani is the culprit.
(And what's with the endless urinating. Talk about pissing off the viewers!)

thanks for explaining it. I'm sure Maddy was of the assumption that I'm insecure of Aaamir khan because I happened to be a Kamal fan. :)

P_R
4th January 2010, 04:57 PM
As someone who liked Munnabhai a lot and Lage Raho a little bit, my main charge against 3 idiots was that it was not funny. And almost every single thing that had a faint scent of humour was repeated till it became unfunny.

Now I wonder if much credit for the Munna movies should go to Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi.

ek baar sorry bOla....seedhA jail :rotfl:

Not one line like that

Btw saw it in ega among a predominantly - insert racist epithet - crowd. The toilet humour brought down the house till even the very last repetition.

Plum
4th January 2010, 05:00 PM
Btw saw it in Goregaon among a predominantly - insert racist epithet - crowd. The toilet humour brought down the house till even the very last repetition.

P_R
4th January 2010, 05:05 PM
<To make amends for seeming holier than thouness I shall now proceed to give an example of 'class' in toilet humour>

GM has had a drink which was spiked for SR and is rushing to ease himself. SR stops him and questioning happens.

SR: எவ்வளவு மாத்திரை போட்ட ?
GM: <in distress> யோவ் எனக்கு இப்பொ ரெண்டுக்கு மேல எண்ணிக்கையே வர மாட்டேங்குது

Plum
4th January 2010, 05:07 PM
P_R, Sanjay Dutt had an awful lot of credit to take on the Munnabhai movies. Essentially, his real life persona and intrigue blended well with the character, and that's the chief reason for those movies being enjoyable. Ofcourse, Warsi was irreplaceable in the circuit role - as Baradwaj Rangan observed, essentially Circuit has been bifurcated as Raju and Farhan here, and the actors here brought a completely different flavour to it, and clearly, they didnt bring in the same effect as Warsi; it didnt help that, with Rancho hogging the limelight, the writing also pushed them further into a baniyan size 42 role. I think only Srikanth in the telugu version came close to Warsi's spirit but Chiranjeevi and the writing in telugu werent up to the mark. So, yes, Munnabhai owes a lot to Dutt and Warsi.
(Infact, Lage Raho suffered from the same problems in writing - think of the Shergill and Dia Mirza and the final Abhishek Bachan sequences - but it got glossed over thanks to Warsi).

All said, it would have been tough to sit through 3I if not for Aamir, though.

Plum
4th January 2010, 05:08 PM
<To make amends for seeming holier than thouness I shall now proceed to give an example of 'class' in toilet humour>

GM has had a drink which was spiked for SR and is rushing to ease himself. SR stops him and questioning happens.

SR: எவ்வளவு மாத்திரை போட்ட ?
GM: <in distress> யோவ் எனக்கு இப்பொ ரெண்டுக்கு மேல எண்ணிக்கையே வர மாட்டேங்குது

Exactly! adhukkellAm genius vENumpA!

Plum
4th January 2010, 05:13 PM
Ok, things that I liked, although not much of a consolation:
1. The fact that Aamir's character was from north-east. Sadly, it never got any prominence, and even while parting, the director couldnt help a cheap shot with Kareena mouthing "I wouldnt want that surname after marriage". While one can understand that in the context of a name like Rannchod, with profane insinuations built in itself, the only objection to the north-eastern name could be that it is north-eastern.
2. The Dhokla missile joke. Although Kareena spoilt it with poor execution.

Kareena is another - ok I will put this gingerly - irritant. Did anyone else have the same moment as me - basically, when she walks towards Aamir in the climax, for a moment, I felt I had walked into a horror movie. That make up, that demeanour, that expression - chilling!

MADDY
4th January 2010, 05:40 PM
Ok, things that I liked, although not much of a consolation:
1. The fact that Aamir's character was from north-east. Sadly, it never got any prominence, and even while parting, the director couldnt help a cheap shot with Kareena mouthing "I wouldnt want that surname after marriage". While one can understand that in the context of a name like Rannchod, with profane insinuations built in itself, the only objection to the north-eastern name could be that it is north-eastern.

:lol: to be fair wangudu too sounds funny........Plum, neenga Chathur Ramalingam mocking-a pudichhu ottuveengannu edhir paarthen......Chathur means intelligent in hindi - chathur naar bade hoshiyar days-a vittu varave maattangala?? :lol: ......

3 idiots good film ellam illa - infact it was contrived to bring a BO jackpot.......in that perspective, it achieved its objective......but yes, NOV kept saying something similar for Nadodigal which i didnt listen :P ....

Plum
4th January 2010, 05:47 PM
Maddy, there was equal-opportunity regional bashing in this movie I think. Gujaratis facing the brunt. I guess Hirani must be Gujarati(or Sindhi?) himself.
The Ramalingam angle didnt bother me much. There wasnt much faux-tamilness(the typical bolly faux tamilness) in the execution of that character on screen. Not as bad as enna rascala. One has to grant the director that much

equanimus
4th January 2010, 05:54 PM
While Aamir has definitely outgrown Rishi Kapoorness
Plum,
Luck By Chance pAththAchchA? Super performance 'nga!

Plum
4th January 2010, 05:58 PM
While Aamir has definitely outgrown Rishi Kapoorness
Plum,
Luck By Chance pAththAchchA? Super performance 'nga!

Alai Paayuthae Madhavan: Enakku un mEla Love illai etc etc. AnA idhelLAm nadandhudumOnnu bayama irukku

idhukkAgavE LBC pArkalai :lol:
BTW, Rishi Kapoor seems a phenom with certain Bolly fans. There are a sizeable number of people who *really believe* that he is a great actor. There was a movie called Chintuji last year with Rishi playing lead. Apparently offbeat. His army of fans is now trying to promote it as the best of last year, most under appreciated etc.

Plum
4th January 2010, 06:00 PM
BTW, "sivappu Cheran" Farhan Akthar patri inge irukkum madhippirukriya bolly fans karuthu enna?

equanimus
4th January 2010, 06:11 PM
I thought Rishi Kapoor was brilliant in Luck By Chance. (And yes, heard good things about Chintuji too.)

And, by the way, I enjoyed '3 Idiots.' Went in with moderate expectations (thanks to the mushy and preachy 'Lage Raho Munnabhai'). But I agree with PR to the extent that I didn't find it as funny as the Munnabhai films. (My problem with Lage Raho was only with its strong dose of saccharine, pretentious message. Otherwise it was mighty funny when it wanted to be.)

Plum
4th January 2010, 06:17 PM
Koot. LRM was funny alright. Even the message wasnt a problem but the way it was hammered in...only thing is very few people noticed the pretentiousness, the ordinaryness of the way the message was hammered in. With 3 Idiots, that is happening.

BTW, there is this whole credit for writing issue going on between Bhagat and VVC/Hirani/Aamir. I think I sympathise with Bhagat - most of the material for the movie came from his book, and his relegation to credits behind junior artistes is not fair. The claim that only 2-5% of the movie is from the book is laughable.
I'd go so far as to say that some of the better enjoyable moments were from the book *only* - something I didnt expect at all I would say when I walked into the movie.

P_R
4th January 2010, 06:18 PM
BTW, "sivappu Cheran" Farhan Akthar patri inge irukkum madhippirukriya bolly fans karuthu enna?
Nothing to complain about in Luck by Chance and Rock On.
Sivappu Cheran title rejeetted.

Plum
4th January 2010, 06:19 PM
Even in LRM, there were some moments where the message giving wasnt a problem - like the initial portions where Dutt barges into the business man's office - the one who mistreats his father - and hangs him upside down from the terrace to drive home his homily. That was funny and the message wasnt a problem in that scene. But as it wore on, it got on one's nerves with the gandhigiri message. One major difference was Boman Irani was fantastic in that movie while in this movie, he is reduced to a caricature.

Plum
4th January 2010, 06:20 PM
Nothing to complain about in Luck by Chance and Rock On.
Sivappu Cheran title rejeetted.

You mean his acting is tolerable?

equanimus
4th January 2010, 06:20 PM
I think I like Dil Chahta Hai more than any of Cheran's films, but Akhtar has made just two more films since, and none half as good. (Though I thought Lakshya too was quite good back when it came out.)

And, uh... I thought he was good in Luck By Chance too.

Plum
4th January 2010, 06:22 PM
equa, not as a film maker. I sort of was okay with Lakshya although DCH didnt strike much of a chord. As an actor?

equanimus
4th January 2010, 06:27 PM
Even the message wasnt a problem but the way it was hammered in...only thing is very few people noticed the pretentiousness, the ordinaryness of the way the message was hammered in. With 3 Idiots, that is happening.
Exactly what I thought reading some of the negative/so-so reviews the film has got. It seemed like they've woken up late to Hirani's ways of ramming a sugary feel-good message down the audience's throat.

equanimus
4th January 2010, 06:38 PM
[tscii:e85dfaf27c]
As an actor?
PR sonnA mAdhiri, nothing to complain about. Heck, I liked him in LBC!

although DCH didnt strike much of a chord.
With regard to "striking a chord," I too didn't connect at all to the über-yuppieness of the trio of the film. I say this because it is often cited as one of the foremost reasons for celebrating it. But there's a sense of relaxed atmosphere in the film that was so fresh and was something a wider range of urban audience could connect to in some sense. And of course, beyond all that, I think it's a very well written film.[/tscii:e85dfaf27c]

Plum
4th January 2010, 06:41 PM
Ok, LBC vaaippu kedaichA pArkarEn. Hmm.. I dread the day when Rishi Kapoor becomes acceptable to me - enna solradhu, it will just not be...me!

equanimus
4th January 2010, 06:48 PM
For that matter, I think even Cheran is more resourceful than what many people allege him to be. I detect there's a sense of anxiety with respect to his looks in such criticisms.

I've very often found that people's complaints about Cheran's acting invariably fall on "how bad he looks" in certain scenes, song/fight sequences or "how loudly he cries" etc. (Why, I've even heard quite a few people jeer at him because he gets thrashed by V. Natarajan in the film!) So, I'm wary of critics when they say Cheran should stick to direction etc.

Plum
4th January 2010, 06:52 PM
equa, to be fair, Cheran didnt endear himself with attempts such as mAyakaNNAdi.

Plum
4th January 2010, 06:53 PM
As a director, Cheran is equally culpable of hamemring his message in, sometimes without the comic diversion that Hirani provides.

equanimus
4th January 2010, 07:06 PM
equa, to be fair, Cheran didnt endear himself with attempts such as mAyakaNNAdi.
But surely, that's not what he did in most of the other films he acted in? (Even here, you've to concede that the idea, however poorly executed it might have been, was not to simply parade himself in designer clothes throughout the film without any semblance of connection to what the film is about.) How many actors are out there who can play his roles in a 'solla maRandha kadhai' or 'pirivOm sandhippOm' without hijacking the film? His limitations as an actor are fairly obvious, but he has been competent in these kind of roles.

Plum
4th January 2010, 07:13 PM
Agree equa. Very often, Cheran is ridiculed by fans of "mass heroes", who aren't exactly Greek Gods themselves. The idea in MK wasnt bad but the execution was. Yeah, I get the designer clothes dig :lol:

P_R
7th January 2010, 11:08 AM
Dayavan
:rotfl3: :rotfl3:

I don't remember when I laughed this hard. I have laughed enough for the rest of the year.

'They missed the point' is the most polite way to put it.
They got everything wrong. Every thing.

Plum
7th January 2010, 11:16 AM
Dayavan
:rotfl3: :rotfl3:

I don't remember when I laughed this hard. I have laughed enough for the rest of the year.

'They missed the point' is the most polite way to put it.
They got everything wrong. Every thing.

That was another era. ippO reverse-la sirikkarAnga on 'our' remakes of 'their' films.

Kamal himself commented that they should have set this remake in Southall. He had a point. Not that that decision would have helped this movie given the makers. There is a movie starring one of Salman Khan's brothers which was set in Southall with similar intent. :rotfl3:

equanimus
7th January 2010, 12:27 PM
LOL @ Dayavan. Now there is a film that was just spectacularly stupid on so many levels.

That was another era. ippO reverse-la sirikkarAnga on 'our' remakes of 'their' films.
ippavum vAippugaL vandhuttuth thAn irukku. Last heard, Satish Kaushik is planning to remake 'pithAmagan.'

AravindMano
7th January 2010, 12:39 PM
Gulaal. Brillaintly shot film. Interesting bunch of characters and actors. But yEno couldn't empathize with anyone of them.

Plum
7th January 2010, 01:08 PM
LOL @ Dayavan. Now there is a film that was just spectacularly stupid on so many levels.

ippavum vAippugaL vandhuttuth thAn irukku. Last heard, Satish Kaushik is planning to remake 'pithAmagan.'
With Salmon and his band of brothers? :shaking:

There was a decent remake of Pithamagan in Kannada.

P_R
7th January 2010, 02:10 PM
There was a decent remake of Pithamagan in Kannada.
adhu decent-na VAM should be knighted

MADDY
8th January 2010, 07:29 AM
Gulaal. Brillaintly shot film. Interesting bunch of characters and actors. But yEno couldn't empathize with anyone of them.

initially i didnt like Gulaal - but ive watched it so many times now that im just loving it.......the sequence upto ransa's death are magic - enna oru face (pace)...........the way he builds up the intensity is superb - very engrossing watch.........its so raw and "underbelly indian".........i find it hard when someone says he is a 70's hollywood dummy.......i mean, i have seen taxi driver, raging bull etc but how is Anruag like that?

but Gulaal remains his last film till date :( ......

Appu s
8th January 2010, 02:56 PM
Watched "Rajneeti" trailer while watching 3 idiots,

Nana patekar,Naseerudin sha,Ajay devagan,Arjun ram pal and Ranbir kapoor. katrina kaif as Soniya :shaking:

MADDY
8th January 2010, 04:41 PM

Nana patekar,Naseerudin sha,Ajay devagan,Arjun ram pal and Ranbir kapoor. katrina kaif as Soniya :shaking:

:lol:

VENKIRAJA
8th January 2010, 10:07 PM
3 idiots
ezhavu maadhiri irundhuchu

chevy
8th January 2010, 10:30 PM
just watched 3 idiots! Amazing!

chevy
8th January 2010, 10:31 PM
3 idiots
ezhavu maadhiri irundhuchu come on! no..it was superb!

ajithfederer
8th January 2010, 10:45 PM
:lol: :rotfl:

Disclaimer: I've not watched this film but the way Venki put it made me laugh

3 idiots
ezhavu maadhiri irundhuchu

MADDY
8th January 2010, 11:06 PM
just watched 3 idiots! Amazing!

kood decision :clap:

how did you feel abt Madhavan's character?? did you feel he was just a add-on or did he make a impression? :D

Nerd
9th January 2010, 12:43 AM

I saw "Veer(?)" trailer while watching 3i. salman gone playing a warrior :rotfl3:

VENKIRAJA
9th January 2010, 09:41 AM
AF :thumbsup:

3 idiots

:poke:

The only good thing about the movie, after so much of research is the "Give me some rain give me some sunshine" sequence. But aamir's part was predictable anyway. They could have very well gone with Bhagat's book entirely.

Appu s
9th January 2010, 11:03 AM

I saw "Veer(?)" trailer while watching 3i. salman gone playing a warrior :rotfl3:
yes yes adhey :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DOnWSzszgA

MADDY
9th January 2010, 03:09 PM
meanwhile trade says 3Idiots is damaging the backside of all tamil movies currently........3I is exploring untouched territories in chennai by running housefull in most unconventional places like Pallavaram janata - i just dont believe i actually wrote what i just wrote :lol: .......it is feared to cause gr8 harm to pongal releases......

it has already collected a staggering 240 crore in 10 days worldwide..............go 3I go :clap:

MADDY
9th January 2010, 03:26 PM
Priyanka chopra, Amol gupte, Shahid kapur win Apsara award for Kaminey

Appu s
9th January 2010, 03:44 PM
meanwhile trade says 3Idiots is damaging the backside of all tamil movies currently........3I is exploring untouched territories in chennai by running housefull in most unconventional places like Pallavaram janata - i just dont believe i actually wrote what i just wrote :lol: .......it is feared to cause gr8 harm to pongal releases......

it has already collected a staggering 240 crore in 10 days worldwide..............go 3I go :clap:

Yes 3I replaced Veetai in Sathyam main screen in its second week,
but i don think so it will spoil Pongal releases.

MADDY
9th January 2010, 03:57 PM

Yes 3I replaced Veetai in Sathyam main screen in its second week,
but i don think so it will spoil Pongal releases.

u never know - AO sema mokkaya vandhirukkaamaam :P

VENKIRAJA
9th January 2010, 04:35 PM
3 idiots

MADDY koodavE maRubadi saNdayA? paravAilla..
annaa.. vaanga sethu sethu viLayAdalAm..

1. Screenplay was pure crap. Every single tool which routed the end, was easily guessable. Like the pen thingy or the baby kicking or whatever.

2. Songs... rAmA! Basically, kareena kapoor is a sappa pigar. And, they trying to make fun of their own Bolly stuff was :headbang:

3. Characterisation.. sollanumA ennA? Typical is the word. What did they change from MBMBBS?

4. Won't the Bollywood style of making the entire movie in a studio, shifing to a colorful landscape for the climax after a brief travel and make a trolly shot to roll credits end at all?

5. It was funny okay, but I can't laugh again. And above all, the balAtkAr scene is not classic and all.. FB-la ellAm kosu tholla thAnga mudiyala

Plum
9th January 2010, 04:41 PM
Venki thambi, ninga thodarndhu pesunga. Naan vedikkai paakaren

MADDY
9th January 2010, 04:50 PM

no probs - im not complaining - i know where the soul of this movie is.....

even a loser film like Blue, singhisking dont come under this template leave alone avante garde stuff like kaminey.....try something else

4. Won't the Bollywood style of making the entire movie in a studio, shifing to a colorful landscape for the climax after a brief travel and make a trolly shot to roll credits end at all?

VENKIRAJA
9th January 2010, 06:06 PM

no probs - im not complaining - i know where the soul of this movie is.....

even a loser film like Blue, singhisking dont come under this template leave alone avante garde stuff like kaminey.....try something else

It was general. Just oppose my 1st point alone, I'll accept you win. I don't mean to bring this in favour of Bolly vs. Kolly battle simply because I know people here can only make kadi college films. But, 3I was not classic and all.. its not RDB level, atleast... Come on. And for godsake don't tell me Aamir Khan is the second best actor here.

MADDY
9th January 2010, 06:29 PM
It was general.

i got it, but i just thought there should be more patterns identified and justifiable conclusions made......for ex: Bala's complaint of bolly being too "urban/uber cool" is pretty much agreeable because u see that in almost all movies rite from Blue to Jaane tu......even there, kashyapar saves bolly with a "on the face" depiction of delhi's underbelly in DevD :D

Just oppose my 1st point alone, I'll accept you win. I don't mean to bring this in favour of Bolly vs. Kolly battle simply because I know people here can only make kadi college films. But, 3I was not classic and all.. its not RDB level, atleast... Come on. And for godsake don't tell me Aamir Khan is the second best actor here.

im not opposing ur views here at all.....i agree this movie was full of caricatures be it characters or screenplay......it is intelligent at places but i dont want to argue for them since the movie is not intended for such discussions........i know, its irritating when people call it classic - i felt the same for Nadodigal or subramaniapuram.......

ah, acting wise, i dont think we belong to the same planet (i.e other hubbers and me)........to me, Abhay deol >>>>>>>> Surya, Aamir=Rajinikanth/amitabh may sound blasphemous - but sorry thats me........im afterall a Parmnder, freea vidunga..... :D

VENKIRAJA
9th January 2010, 06:47 PM
im not opposing ur views here at all.....i agree this movie was full of caricatures be it characters or screenplay......it is intelligent at places but i dont want to argue for them since the movie is not intended for such discussions........i know, its irritating when people call it classic - i felt the same for Nadodigal or subramaniapuram.......

ah, acting wise, i dont think we belong to the same planet (i.e other hubbers and me)........to me, Abhay deol >>>>>>>> Surya, Aamir=Rajinikanth/amitabh may sound blasphemous - but sorry thats me........im afterall a Parmnder, freea vidunga..... :D

appO saNdai illayA.. :|
IMO, Rajni >>>>>>>>> Amitabh/Aamir (Only 2 movies each, though)
and Abhay >>>>>>>>> Surya :yes:

MADDY
9th January 2010, 06:56 PM
appO saNdai illayA.. :|

Plum, paavam channel maathanum :P

IMO, Rajni >>>>>>>>> Amitabh/Aamir (Only 2 movies each, though)

oh u shuld watch more obviously....

Plum
9th January 2010, 07:11 PM
Maddy, nInga venki thambikku "anti-surya" ice-cream vaangi kuduthu mayakkittInga - sellAdhu sellAdhu :-)

P_R
9th January 2010, 10:21 PM
Maddy, nInga venki thambikku "anti-surya" ice-cream vaangi kuduthu mayakkittInga - sellAdhu sellAdhu :-)
நாத்தனார் கூட குடும்பம் நடத்தி இந்த சூழ்ச்சி எல்லாம் கத்துக்கிட்டார். ஒரு பச்சைமண்ணை கெடுத்த பாவம் உங்களைத்தான் சேரும்.

VENKIRAJA
10th January 2010, 12:09 AM

:lol2:
enna irundhAlum nenja nakkunadhu nenja nakunadhu thAn..

venkkiram
10th January 2010, 10:40 PM
"3 Idiots" பார்த்துவிட்டேன்.

கதையும், சொல்லப்பட்ட விதமும் ரொம்பக் கவர்ந்தது.

மூத்த மாணவர் இறந்து போனதை ஒரு குட்டி helicopter படம் பிடிப்பதாக சொல்லும் திரைக்கதை சூப்பர். அதுபோல, Javed Jaffrey பாத்திரச் செருகலும் அருமை.

"Silencer" - சிரிச்சி மாளவில்லை.

"Rancho" பாத்திரம் முதல் மதிப்பெண்கள் எடுக்கும் மாணவராக காட்டாமல், இயல்பாக ஒரு Average மாணவனாக காட்டியிருந்தால் இன்னும் இயல்புத்தன்மை கூடியிருக்கும். செயல்முறை ஞானம் அதிகம் இருக்கும் நிறைய மாணவர்கள் தேர்வுகள், மதிப்பெண்கள் என வரும்போது சாதிக்கத் தவறுவதை பெரும்பாலான இடங்களில் காண்கிறோம். அதுபோலவே Ranchoயும் காட்டியிருக்கலாம்.

மேற்கத்திய படங்களில் காணப்பட்டாலும், இதுவரை இந்திய சினிமாவில் காட்டாத பிரசவ நிகழ்ச்சியை அரங்கேற்றி வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள் என நினைக்கிறேன். நல்லத் தொடக்கம்.

Muraleetharana ஒளிப்பதிவு, Shantanu Moitra இசை அருமை.

"Give Me Some Sunshine" முதல் முறை கேட்டபோதே பிடித்து போனது.

கல்லூரிக் கதை என்றாலே, மாணவர்களை குழுக்களாக பிரித்தும், அவர்களுக்குள்ளே சண்டைகளை உருவாக்கி, காதலை மையப்படுத்தியே படம் எடுக்கும் இந்தியத் இயக்குனர்களுக்கு மத்தியில் Rajkumar Hirani வானவில்லாக தென்படுகிறார்.

Rajkumar Hirani, இதேப் பார்வையில் நீங்கள் எத்தனைப் படங்கள் எடுத்தாலும் எல்லாமே கவனத்திற்குரியதாக இருக்கும் என நினைக்கிறேன்.

Boman Irani , Aamir Khan , R. Madhavan, Sharman Joshi என எல்லோருக்கும் ஒரு ஓ!

Bala (Karthik)
11th January 2010, 02:15 AM
Paanch - Thanks to hubber Girish's data transfer

Nalla dhaan irundhuchu.... pramadham nu solla mudiyaadhu. Kay Kay :clap:
And the end slide seemed to be an after thought/forced inclusion. Maybe due to some pressures or as a last ditch measure.

A few years back when the audio was released (2002?), indha cassette a pottu thechirukken. It was a little underwhelming now but very good to hear the songs anyway (kekkumbodhu ellam nalla nyabagam irundhuchu). A precursor of sorts to DevD, meesic-wise

Update: Oh, yeah, background la ore Led Zeppelin and The Doors dhaan :cool2:

MADDY
11th January 2010, 07:13 AM
"3 Idiots" பார்த்துவிட்டேன்.

கதையும், சொல்லப்பட்ட விதமும் ரொம்பக் கவர்ந்தது.

மூத்த மாணவர் இறந்து போனதை ஒரு குட்டி helicopter படம் பிடிப்பதாக சொல்லும் திரைக்கதை சூப்பர். அதுபோல, Javed Jaffrey பாத்திரச் செருகலும் அருமை.

"Silencer" - சிரிச்சி மாளவில்லை.

"Rancho" பாத்திரம் முதல் மதிப்பெண்கள் எடுக்கும் மாணவராக காட்டாமல், இயல்பாக ஒரு Average மாணவனாக காட்டியிருந்தால் இன்னும் இயல்புத்தன்மை கூடியிருக்கும். செயல்முறை ஞானம் அதிகம் இருக்கும் நிறைய மாணவர்கள் தேர்வுகள், மதிப்பெண்கள் என வரும்போது சாதிக்கத் தவறுவதை பெரும்பாலான இடங்களில் காண்கிறோம். அதுபோலவே Ranchoயும் காட்டியிருக்கலாம்.

மேற்கத்திய படங்களில் காணப்பட்டாலும், இதுவரை இந்திய சினிமாவில் காட்டாத பிரசவ நிகழ்ச்சியை அரங்கேற்றி வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள் என நினைக்கிறேன். நல்லத் தொடக்கம்.

Muraleetharana ஒளிப்பதிவு, Shantanu Moitra இசை அருமை.

"Give Me Some Sunshine" முதல் முறை கேட்டபோதே பிடித்து போனது.

கல்லூரிக் கதை என்றாலே, மாணவர்களை குழுக்களாக பிரித்தும், அவர்களுக்குள்ளே சண்டைகளை உருவாக்கி, காதலை மையப்படுத்தியே படம் எடுக்கும் இந்தியத் இயக்குனர்களுக்கு மத்தியில் Rajkumar Hirani வானவில்லாக தென்படுகிறார்.

Rajkumar Hirani, இதேப் பார்வையில் நீங்கள் எத்தனைப் படங்கள் எடுத்தாலும் எல்லாமே கவனத்திற்குரியதாக இருக்கும் என நினைக்கிறேன்.

Boman Irani , Aamir Khan , R. Madhavan, Sharman Joshi என எல்லோருக்கும் ஒரு ஓ!

Venkkiram :clap:

kid-glove
11th January 2010, 09:11 PM
Atrocious discussion earlier on Amitabh. Enna dhan agenda irundhalum, naane othukkuven Amitabh real-avey Big B of Bollywood-nu. Very very good actor ba! Aamir apala Abhay ellam kaal dhoosu imo. innum neraiya sadhika irukku, ivanungalakku...Apram Amitab oda compare pannalam. Ogay0va?

kid-glove
11th January 2010, 09:14 PM
To cleanse my last (hAnest) post, I have decided to laugh with Valencia fans (about a player called "Marchena") on a re-spin of Amitabh's classic song! :rotfl: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7eBl6Ynzk

Kinda miss those hindi masala days like Plum :(

kid-glove
11th January 2010, 09:38 PM
Original song (to be seen after that hilariously subtitled snippet on 'Marchena')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7H4OBa9loI#movie_player

Film is weakest among Amitabh's masala films in 80's.

Things to be noted:
a) First step at around 0.29 sec :lol:
b) dance with the guitar :lol2:
c) costume after 2:37. :rotfl:

MADDY
12th January 2010, 06:44 PM
Atrocious discussion earlier on Amitabh. Enna dhan agenda irundhalum, naane othukkuven Amitabh real-avey Big B of Bollywood-nu. Very very good actor ba! Aamir apala Abhay ellam kaal dhoosu imo. innum neraiya sadhika irukku, ivanungalakku...Apram Amitab oda compare pannalam. Ogay0va?

Abhay comes from a very strong theatre background......dont underestimate him......but dunno he will ever become a star.......irfan khan/n.shah/vinay pathak etc range-la thangiduvaan-nnu thonudhu :)

Aamir/Amitabh - i felt it was fair comparison since Aamir matches Amitabh due to Amitabh's heavy "banal movies" baggage......Aamir has relatively lesser.......he has mela, aatank hi aatank (comes with a mush:rotfl2:) but still he has been consistently careful in his selection.....he is a super* in his own right - i felt he can be equated to Amitabh......yes, if u take amitabh post 2000, then he is >> Aamir, Rajinikanth's entire career.....

kid-glove
12th January 2010, 08:40 PM
I was one of Abhay's earlier fans in terms of shrewd script selections and carving a niche in what I call 'alternate' cinema to mainstream Bolly. Much unlike other Deols. :P But in time, I see people have caught Abhay deol hype that I had to come out of it meself. :P

Btw, I thought we were talking of acting and not just about quality of films. In which case, Amitabh (pre-99 or post-99) has always been excellent in Bollywood. :thumbsup: Only when some Bolly fans talk of him in breath of N'Shah, I get a bit miffed. :D Otherwise, he is quite easily head and shoulders above Aamir, Abhay or Ranbir Kapoor. :P

Plum
13th January 2010, 07:41 AM
And I protest the summary dismissal of rajini's entire career.. Arguably, even Chiranjeevi is not as limited as his typical films portray him to be. Infact, I wouldn't rate the post KBX amitabh at all. If he were a football fan, the post 2000 amitabh will root for west ham. A better example of his talent is his pre-superstar movies.

Appu s
13th January 2010, 10:57 AM
Ishqiya, Vishal Bharadwaj's Dialogues&screenplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5j8G2GsFMw Releasing this month :cool2:

MADDY
13th January 2010, 11:10 AM
Btw, I thought we were talking of acting and not just about quality of films.

i meant ordinary writing invariably has ordinary performances.......

Otherwise, he is quite easily head and shoulders above Aamir, Abhay or Ranbir Kapoor. :P

GM: aama avanga ellam konjam height kammi

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 11:23 AM
Javed Akhtar, Bimal Dutta, Salim khan ellam ordinary writing-a? The films started to put a proper framework of 'masala' as is what we refer to, today. Start at plot level and character dynamics, they are still world apart from modern day Karan johar and Farah khan. Which is not saying much.

But seriously you got to watch early yash chopra, Hrishikesh mukherjee, Prakash Mehra films with Amitabh. Well, you don't have to in some cases, If you had watched Rajini's remade films.

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 11:34 AM
And I protest the summary dismissal of rajini's entire career.. Arguably, even Chiranjeevi is not as limited as his typical films portray him to be. Infact, I wouldn't rate the post KBX amitabh at all. If he were a football fan, the post 2000 amitabh will root for west ham. A better example of his talent is his pre-superstar movies.

What's wrong with West Ham? I like 'em too. :oops:

Amitabh (and his son too) is a Chelsea fan. What a glory hunter? :hammer: :lol:

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 11:42 AM
[tscii:ba0bc02c61]Q: This film is being targeted as a non-diaspora film by Fox, but you have been often accused of making films only for the Indian diaspora.

Karan Johar: “Yes I know and I am tired of that tag. I don’t think anyone understands the NRI audience. I make a film because I feel it will connect with some one sitting in Bihar and someone in New York.”[/tscii:ba0bc02c61]

MADDY
13th January 2010, 11:43 AM
Javed Akhtar, Bimal Dutta, Salim khan ellam ordinary writing-a?

no not them - i meant movies like desh premi, Andha kanoon, Mahaan etc.......i dont think i was too impressed by host of other movies that used to come in saturday 5PM DD1 those days :D ......but yes, i agree my gen starts with aamir, salman and have very vague memories of amitabh....

Plum, yes u culd be right......but tell u what, i watched ilamai oonjal aadugiradhu last week.........rajini rose above the writing in some places but was strictly ordinary throughout.........my father though says, they watched the movie those days purely for 2 Rs :D ......again, my point could be wrong because im used to brilliant writing these days - its not rajini's fault not to have had a kaminey or gulaal those days :lol: ......rajini rolling charas/joint and smoking it in a Anurag, vishal baradwaj movie would have been a visual explosion :bow:

MADDY
13th January 2010, 11:49 AM
[tscii:2804ca5d00]
Karan Johar: “Yes I know and I am tired of that tag. I don’t think anyone understands the NRI audience. I make a film because I feel it will connect with some one sitting in Bihar and someone in New York.”[/tscii:2804ca5d00]

another promising film coming up (Plum vaithula puliya karaikka) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striker_(film)

The soundtrack album of Striker consists of songs composed by various artists such as Vishal Bhardwaj, Tamil composer Yuvan Shankar Raja, making his Bollywood debut, and Amit Trivedi among others. The album is slated to release on 8 January 2010.

that should be awesome :shock:

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 11:50 AM
:thumbsup:

Imagine a Tamil version of AK or Bharadwaj with actors like Rajini at disposal, it would be amazing. Innum time irukku. I was discussing with my friends who study filmmaking and their ideas convince me there will be such films in future. :boo:

ajaybaskar
13th January 2010, 11:52 AM
Watched 3 Idiots....

Though the film has the Munnabhai hangover throughout, the film was extremely enjoyable. Mainly due to the performance of the lead actors... After Anbe Sivam, Madhavan has once again proved that he is an artist with great potential.. Hope no one does this film in Tamil.. Suryavai Rancho characterla nenaichu paarthaalae vomit vomitah varudhu...

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:01 PM
Ennathan naan Nov-oda hitlist-ya irundhalum, I have t o say it's equally possible to say Aamir in Surya's Pithamagan or Maayavi would be puke-worthy. :huh:

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:03 PM
Ennathan naan Nov-oda hitlist-ya irundhalum, I have t o say it's equally possible to say Aamir in Surya's Pithamagan role would be puke-worthy. :huh:

1947 earth dilnawaz :lol2:

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:04 PM
actually, due to time constraints, Ajay has not posted his complete feeling on the movie......he liked it very much and was upset that i was not promoting it in hUB as much i should have :lol: ........

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:08 PM
Ennathan naan Nov-oda hitlist-ya irundhalum, I have t o say it's equally possible to say Aamir in Surya's Pithamagan role would be puke-worthy. :huh:

1947 earth dilnawaz>>>>>>>>>> any rural surya can even conceive :lol2:

Appadi onnum periya thilalangadi illa. Debatle IMO

The pinnacle moment is when he sees Nandita and Khanna copulating. There too, the stunned face (with bulged eyes) worked in terms of subtlety, and not nuance. I was waiting for some nuanced expression (think Mohanlal in Manjil Virinja Pookkal) till the end. there too, he coolly lits his beedi and doesn't provide anything to take over. Such kind of brilliance is what Aamir misses to lift him above Surya. :)

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:12 PM
Rural-kaaga mattum Surya-va better-nu sollala. That's why I even included Mayaavi.

People will bring up Rangeela (and dare not "Fanaa" :twisted: ) I'm sure. But it markedly differs from Surya's comic sense. :thumbsup:

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:18 PM
the final scene, where nandita is being dragged out, aamir squats down to have a beedi :roll: seri vidunga, surya is great.....

the day is not far when people here wud be arguing how sam anderson was more meticulous than Aamir in yaarukku yaro.......i dont even want to be in this planet of thinking :lol:

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:22 PM
the final scene, where nandita is being dragged out, aamir squats down to have a beedi

till the end. there too, he coolly lits his beedi and doesn't provide anything to take over.

:huh:

Bringing Sam Anderson to this debate?! Again Maddy, you're taking it a bit far. And I thought I was a Parminder in my weekend conferences with friends.

I say this unabashed hyperboles would one day result in calling Ranbir kapoor as the next NT. :lol:

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:29 PM
how can someone miss the fury, pressue of racing heart beats in those eyes......

sorry KG, i dont agree to ur evaluation of aamir at all :D ...im ready to accept my ignorance on amitabh but aamir is exclusively my generation and my territory and someone i have watched all my life.......and i have watched surya too - lets agree to disagree :)

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:34 PM
I pretty much nailed parts which one would think of 'masterclass acting' when it's 'sheer competence' on part of an actor. Of course, actor vs actor comparison will always result in polarizing divergence.

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:37 PM
I pretty much nailed parts which one would think of 'masterclass acting' when it's 'sheer competence' on part of an actor.

thats what u think

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:39 PM
miss the fury, pressue of racing heart beats in those eyes......

Oh! I was noticing the extra kajal and cared for the bulged eyes. I hear it's a cause of deformation, to not blink your eyes for lengthy periods. :lol:

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:40 PM
I pretty much nailed parts which one would think of 'masterclass acting' when it's 'sheer competence' on part of an actor.

thats what u think

I don't disagree. So, let's stop picking on Surya every time an Aamir film releases, shall we?

And I'm not even a Surya fan. I think Madhavan is comfortably better. :roll:

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:42 PM
im pretty clear on aamir's skills - he is a competent actor is all i'm trying to say but his oeuvre is much bigger than that of Surya, who hasnt shown initial brilliance like Abhay too........kamal, mohanlal are way above aamir and i can take these to whip almost all actors in india - thats not a correct evaluation

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:45 PM

thats what u think

I don't disagree. So, let's stop picking on Surya every time an Aamir film releases, shall we?

that was Ajay - i would surely tell him.....

kamal in 10A: oor vaaya mooda mudiyaadhu :lol: .....

i dont have any interest in talking abt surya seriously :)

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:45 PM
im pretty clear on aamir's skills - he is a competent actor is all i'm trying to say but his oeuvre is much bigger than that of Surya, who hasnt shown initial brilliance like Abhay too........kamal, mohanlal are way above aamir and i can take these to whip almost all actors in india - thats not a correct evaluation

My point being that Aamir doesn't come close to whipping other competent and reasonably talented actors. So the purported air of superiority in 'talent' and in 'emoting' doesn't exist or is only minimal, especially when compared to Surya, Abhay or what have you. :huh:

I use N'shah as a yardstick for other Indhi actors. I think I shouldn't, it's just too unfair. 8-)

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:47 PM
Oh! I was noticing the extra kajal and cared for the bulged eyes

MADDY
13th January 2010, 12:52 PM
My point being that Aamir doesn't come close to whipping other competent and reasonably talented actors. So the purported air of superiority in 'talent' and in 'emoting' doesn't exist or is only minimal, especially when compared to Surya, Abhay or what have you. :huh:

KG, i have seen no great samples of surya other than pithamagan, mayavi to even put him in "competent" league.......the 54 degree face turn in Nandha to depict "concentration" is :lol2: .....

ask him to do the scene where abhay ditches mahi in Devd - appram paakkalam......

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 01:02 PM
Do not backtrack Maddy, few pages back, you conceded aamir and surya are at same level, admittedly the level being lesser than that of Abhay. :boo:

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 01:03 PM
Abhay deol >>>>>>>> Surya, Aamir

:)

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 01:10 PM