PDA

View Full Version : Which is the last Bollywood film you saw ?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Thalafanz
17th September 2009, 08:30 PM
Prabhu RAm - yEn thideer peyar mAtRam???

P_R
17th September 2009, 08:35 PM
RTO office-la oru dealerOda magimai theriyaama pagachukittEn. avar gazette-lErndhu en pErai eduthuttAr.

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 08:37 PM
Dig//
PR,

Please suggest Modus operandi to change my id to AF!!.
dig ends.

kid-glove
17th September 2009, 08:39 PM
Dig//
PR,

dig ends.

I'd like to know that as well. I could go back to my previous id. :lol:

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 08:41 PM
Actually for me I have my id as AF in another forum. Nobody calls me ajithfederer here. And its a slight hassle to type such a long handle. Your last id is a legend.

Dig//
PR,

dig ends.

I'd like to know that as well. I could go back to my previous id. :lol:

Nerd
17th September 2009, 08:44 PM
Actually for me I have my id as AF in another forum.
:lol2:

ajithfederer
17th September 2009, 08:46 PM
Nenaichen :rotfl:. Long point short I like that handle. :).

Actually for me I have my id as AF in another forum.

MADDY
17th September 2009, 08:48 PM
Oh poor thing. America-vula piRandhirundhA aNNanaala Oscarukku perumai kidaichirukkum. He should perhaps say: "en keragam TFI-la vandhu maattikittEyyn"

:rotfl:

Plum
17th September 2009, 10:14 PM
P-r, that's a nice riposte but just about that. You ignored pattiyal in the same sentemce.
For the recorfd, not just because of diffeentiating look laikes.
You know that ofcourse, but I am not sure if people who smile at your posts do :-)

Plum
17th September 2009, 10:24 PM
Besides, clearly, your candidate doesn't even know what he did.
Also, I was talking of potential and lack of opportunities w.r.t potential. Are you denying that bs has better opps to utilise his potential? And my point is despite poor understanding of what he actually was part of, still he has the opp to look like his script selectio in super compared to bharath. Clearly, himchoosing kaminey seems to be a luvky break because he thought he was acting in a comedy, imagine!
Huh, elevating such a guy as a example of superior talent in bollywood is laughable

Plum
17th September 2009, 10:26 PM
In all this melee, I missed addressing your point about audience taking it as a comedy, which is what matters?
Whatever happened to your oppopsition to intentional fallacy? :-)

P_R
17th September 2009, 11:36 PM
I ignored Pattiyal because it was a good performance. I was trying to understand why you clumped koodal nagar with that. Lookalike was the only reason I could think of that may explain it. What I have seen in the movie is very ordinary. One wouldn't compare it with the performance in Kaminey.

Unlike - say equa :P - I will not argue that his knowing has no bearing on our evaluation of his performance. Just that I don't buy this "he doesn't know what he did". puriyAmayA avvaLO nallA pannApla.... sariyA label ottalainnA thittinA eppidi.

P_R
17th September 2009, 11:39 PM
In all this melee, I missed addressing your point about audience taking it as a comedy, which is what matters?
Whatever happened to your oppopsition to intentional fallacy? :-)
I wrote my previous reply before I saw this post :lol2:

I believe it is 'intended' to be a comedy. Intention illaama audience sirikka idhu enna TR padamA. Just that it is not David Dhawan, Priyadarshan type.

MADDY
18th September 2009, 09:11 AM
DevD gets 10 minute standing ovation in venice film festival :bow:

http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=34&sectid=edid=&edlabel=TOICH&mydateHid=18-09-2009&pubname=Times+of+India+-+Chennai&edname=&articleid=Ar03404&publabel=TOI

Thalafanz
18th September 2009, 09:17 AM

http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=34&sectid=edid=&edlabel=TOICH&mydateHid=18-09-2009&pubname=Times+of+India+-+Chennai&edname=&articleid=Ar03404&publabel=TOI

Wow... :clap: :clap: :clap: (IthellAm silar notes edukkanum :wink: )

P_R
18th September 2009, 09:25 AM
10 minutes-A. Konjam overA pOyittAinga. :lol2:

MADDY
18th September 2009, 09:26 AM

Wow... :clap: :clap: :clap: (IthellAm silar notes edukkanum :wink: )

venice film festival enna periya idhuva?? :lol2: why should we get convinced by jury members of a international film festival, we have our own likings/dislikes etc :lol2: ....."chennai kadhal" was far more realistic depiction than devd :P

MADDY
18th September 2009, 09:31 AM

10 minutes is stretching it a bit far, agree........i think even 1 minute of clappings would seem like 10 mins........for bombay dreams, rahman was supposed to have got 13 mins of standing ovation - 13 mins doesent sound like a gross number.......it will be really overwhelming to get applause for 13 mins :shock:

Thalafanz
18th September 2009, 09:31 AM

:lol: Seri aduththa thadavai Chennai Kadhal, Koodal Nagar pOndra padanggal ithE festival-a screen panni, audience-a 11 nimisham kai thatta solluvOm... :)

Sarna
18th September 2009, 09:38 AM
"chennai kadhal" was far more realistic depiction than devd :P

worst vs best'aa :lol:

MADDY
18th September 2009, 09:46 AM
"chennai kadhal" was far more realistic depiction than devd :P

worst vs best'aa :lol:

yaarunga sonna - chennai kadhal, koodal nagar were examples of brilliant writing and exemplary acting skills - P underscore R-a venaa kaettu paarunga :P .......

P_R
18th September 2009, 09:47 AM
chennai kadhal" was far more realistic depiction than devd :P

Writing point-ai thaan (oru vazhiyA) concede paNNittaanga-lla.

ippo performance paththi mattum dhaan pEchchu.

Sarna
18th September 2009, 09:49 AM

:lol: Seri aduththa thadavai Chennai Kadhal, Koodal Nagar pOndra padanggal ithE festival-a screen panni, audience-a 11 nimisham kai thatta solluvOm... :)

murdhaar, jenned, paar-ki-sutta deffet., kutta paai patta paai, abaaroopan ...etcs'ku 12 nimishan kaithatta solluvOm :clap: :clap:

Plum
18th September 2009, 11:04 AM
DISCLAIMER: A general point I want to address - I am not going to argue with the blanket meisters who take a passing reference to koodal nagar as a testimony for brilliant writing and great performances - I think I can address P_R who has substantive arguments to put forward. I am not in this argument as a "bollywood daddy is greater than tollywood daddy or vice-versa". So, I think I will skip the people who are trying to establish their daddy is bigger.

P_R, yes, I conceded long ago that the average writing in Bollywood is better. (Still, "mere paas kamalhassan hai" -ngaradhu vera vishayam, as Bala(K) would put it:-) )

That is not the question but the cynical attempts to paint everything connected with bollywood > everything connected with kollywood is what I resist - I know you are not saying that, though, so no point addressing that now because I said I will not address people who ARE saying that.
(Thanks Ricky, solla vEndiyadhai sollittu, solla maateennum solra vitthai kathu koduthadhukkaga!)

So, yes, a Kaminey or Devv D gets appreciated - immediate implication here: kollywood blanketly sucks, bollywood is all time greatest cinema(including all time hollywood, sappan, koria, checkaslovakia etc).
While comparing Chennai Kaadhal and Dev D, why not compare a Virumandi and Kissaan? Where will this argument go, if we keep discussing in that angle?(Kissaan-nu oru padam vandhudhu recent-A, theriyumA?)

Vishal B> most writers in Tollywood. Conceded. And I know I dont even need to concede it, it is so obvious. Again, I will still say, "mere paas kamal hai". I am not so convinced on Kashyapa munivar still. Generation gap, may be :-).

But BS_Kappoor-ai ellaam associative glory-la glorify pandradhu dhaan....:lol:

Bharath showed his potential in Pattiyal and other movies, and the reference to koodal nagar was wishful thinking on what koodal nagar could have been, afterall, it does deal passingly with one brother copping the impact of the others' doings. The reference was to say that where a BS_K gets a Kaminey, Bharath gets a koodal nagar. How can you even compare then? Ofcourse, for cynical people, this is an opportunity to make a half baked point on Dev D > some random ordinary movie in tollywood. Thanks, I didnt know that before :-)

The kambi argument is very meritorious and I know that Bharath can simply try to scale the potential he has by dissociating from mass movies, even if he has to starve for that. Especially considering that he will never be Ajith or Vijay, except in his mother's dreams, may be. But that is a trap kollywood lays, and he is just another victim. Idhai sonnA, disappointingly, P_R, you make that oscar joke. I'd have expected that from someone else but from you, it was disappointing.

BS_Kapoor clearly didnt mean it the way you did, he clearly said that the A certificate means young fans of his cannot watch the movie lamentingly - I mean, it was either like he didnt understand what the final product was and why it wasnt fit for kids' consumption, or he probably thought they should have made it for kids, too. I read it, you didnt so I dont expect you to understand where I am coming from.

This comment is meandering so let me try to add more later

Plum
18th September 2009, 11:08 AM
Everytime a film gets appreciation in a film festival, 10 minute standing ovation etc is reported. In tamil magazines, this happened for Paruthiveeran/Ram, when those movies won those awards - sarvadesa pada vizhavil 10 nimida AravAra kaithattal etc. For bollywood, the same kind of reporting happens in English. avLO dhaan difference. IdhaiyellAm, naan appovum(PV/Ram) serious-A eduthukkala, ippovum serious-A eduthukka mudiyala.

Plum
18th September 2009, 11:16 AM
chennai kadhal" was far more realistic depiction than devd :P

Writing point-ai thaan (oru vazhiyA) concede paNNittaanga-lla.

ippo performance paththi mattum dhaan pEchchu.

Next kamal-directed movie varattum, appo pEsalAm.

Hey Ram vandhappO, bollywood was being sandhi sirichufied at(Rani Mukherjee gave an interview - in the last 3 years, each year I have acted in milestone movies, 1998 - KKHH, 1999 - Hey Ram, 2000- Bichooo :rotfl3:). For every Dev D, there is a kaadhal. best vs best discussion goes nowhere. The important point(which only PR makes here among the bolly gang here) is that the average bollywood movie has better writing.

Thalafanz
18th September 2009, 11:24 AM
Aaa Ooo-nA Kamal... Kamal... Yes, I agree he's a good writer... But, avar-E Hindi padanggaL-a "remake" pannumbOthu, ingga sila pEr, seri vEnA vitturuvOm... Cheers to all :)

Plum
18th September 2009, 11:31 AM
OhO - ippo Kamal kooda bollywood pichaila dhaan vAzhurArA? :lol:

Kaminey - idea by a nigerian film school student, large parts of his script retained
Maqbool, Omkara - Seshappa Iyer remake :-)
Love Aaj Kal - remake of thousand Yash Raj movies with some hollywood romantic drama thadka added

Ipdi sollikittE pOgalAM/
What can you say to people who question Kamalhassan's creativity?

Thalafanz
18th September 2009, 11:36 AM
Thats ur own allegation(s). I didn't say Kamal Bollywood pitchaila vAzhurAr etc etc bulls**t...
What I was trying to say is what make the great Kamal to notice A Wednesday and remake it in the first place??? Writing... Exellent writing... On top of that, class performace by Naseer...

Sarna
18th September 2009, 11:38 AM
The important point is that the average bollywood movie has better writing.

I completely agree with this point :)

kid-glove
18th September 2009, 11:41 AM
A Wednesday - writing is nowhere near a "Hey Ram" or "Virumandi". Kamal fans had wanted to see his own written/directed film rather than remake "A Wednesday". I suppose "Marmayogi" didn't happen. So he went ahead and did this. Next (fingers crossed) should be his own film, not necessarily a big-budget film (like Marmayogi).

P_R
18th September 2009, 11:49 AM
Plum, amaidhi amaidhi :thaNNi theLiching:

I brought bharadhar into this. So perhaps I should try to do a little bit of plain talking.

Till Kaminey I had my doubts about Shahid. But what he did in that movie is better than what Bharath has done so far. I am not exactly sure how to subtract the VB effect,

Idhai sonnA, disappointingly, P_R, you make that oscar joke. I'd have expected that from someone else but from you, it was disappointing. Sorry, it was too juicy to resist. I should rein in. Second warning today for me.

Anyway, while I agree opportunities are lower for Bharath, but I have no reason to believe he would have been able to pull off the performance that Shahid manage to in kaminey.

Now for the reverse comparison. Kadhal - Shahid can't do - seems screaming obvious to you (plural). I am not so sure of that. Along with pattiyal, Veyyil is perhaps the other movie I like Bharath best in. Even that I don't see beyond the reach of Shahid. And yes I am saying all this based on 'one' performance directed by an ace director. We will see in a few years how things pan out.

It is my humble opinion that even in the acting department, lack of opportunity, market etc. is the lesser of the reasons.

I have noticeably skirted the 'comparison of averages' argument. Simply because I don't know about indhi averages. But I have to say that there is noticeably average acting even in the best of our directors. We can start right from Naan KadavuL.

Bottomline, I continue to have to grant a 'handicap' to enjoy a Tamil film. I see I have to do that less and less for Hindi films. Heck, I see an ordinary film with cliched moments, like Dasvidaniya, and good or bad...it is in a completely different universe. That is all I am saying.

Plum
18th September 2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah, k-g, the sad thing is a Marmayogi or marudhanayagam cannot be made here. While people get to burn 60 crores on 2050 Love Story in Bollywood. Appuram En adhu better-A irukkadhungarEn?

Thalafanz
18th September 2009, 11:55 AM
I can't understand why u make assumptions all the time??? :huh:
We (as per you, the Bolly gang) never went around promoting movies like Love 2020, Yuvraaj etc etc and say Bolly is better because of those craps...

So, P_R, it's you who pattavachufying the Shahid-Barath equation... :twisted:

P_R
18th September 2009, 12:00 PM
2000- Bichooo :rotfl3: :lol:

For every Dev D, there is a kaadhal. I was bored in the second half of Dev D (looks around for Thilak and ducks). But if kaadhal is the best we have to compare against it :huh: (looks around for Nerd and ducks)

End of day fatigue typing (so I may retract tomorrow)...Kaadhal's endpiece with voice over, ezhuthu, signature a la Bharathiraja, discouraged me from revisiting the film. Elitism alert...I mean how nuanced can such a director be. Good film with greatness being largely incidental than intentional.

MADDY
18th September 2009, 12:01 PM
Thats ur own allegation(s). I didn't say Kamal Bollywood pitchaila vAzhurAr etc etc bulls**t...
What I was trying to say is what make the great Kamal to notice A Wednesday and remake it in the first place??? Writing... Exellent writing... On top of that, class performace by Naseer...

TF, its futile as i tell Anoop too.......do u see me talking to ? :P

btw to other sincere kamal fans like Bala - TF didnt mean anything demeaning abt kamal, he just meant writing standards are so good in hindi that even a great like kamal is inspired to remake them........i take it as a compliment to both bollywood and Kamal 8-)

P_R
18th September 2009, 12:02 PM
So, P_R, it's you who pattavachufying the Shahid-Barath equation... :twisted:

Actually my question was rhetorical as I thought the very suggestion that Bharath could do something like that would elicit a giggle and a "aamaam- le" reaction. Backfired real bad :oops:

Thalafanz
18th September 2009, 12:06 PM

TF, its futile as i tell Anoop too.......do u see me talking to ? :P

btw to other sincere kamal fans like Bala - TF didnt mean anything demeaning abt kamal, he just meant writing standards are so good in hindi that even a great like kamal is inspired to remake them........i take it as a compliment to both bollywood and Kamal 8-)

Ithai konjam azhuttamA, sathtamA sonnathukku romba nandri. :D
Naan Anban, CR-kitta ellAm paatu vAngga virumbala... :P

P_R
18th September 2009, 12:07 PM
writing standards are so good in hindi that even a great like kamal is inspired to remake them

Nah...I like to believe UPO is a quickie he didn't mind trying because he had a gap in his diary. From what we know it is 'ideologically' distant from Kamal's stand. And -something I rue about actually - most of his movies reflect some shade of his political vision - if that's the word for it. I wouldn't read too much into his remaking Wednesday.

Sarna
18th September 2009, 12:09 PM
Plum, neenga Kaminey'ya romba thookki vachchu pEsura maadhiri irukku :twisted: It is good... but not great :)
Shahid acting in it id also good... but not great :) ofcourse Bharath cant better Shahid..but there are other guys(say Jeeva) here who can do better than Shahid :)
Priyanka's acting is more than good....great... no current kollywood chittugal can better priyanga (ONLY in acting )

kid-glove
18th September 2009, 12:14 PM
PR, No need to duck. Please continue.

MADDY
18th September 2009, 12:18 PM
writing standards are so good in hindi that even a great like kamal is inspired to remake them

Nah...I like to believe UPO is a quickie he didn't mind trying because he had a gap in his diary. From what we know it is 'ideologically' distant from Kamal's stand. And -something I rue about actually - most of his movies reflect some shade of his political vision - if that's the word for it. I wouldn't read too much into his remaking Wednesday.

ok, thats wat TF said - i was just reiterating his point.....but i also tend to agree with him a bit - if it was a quickie why not remake slumdog millionare?? :lol2: i mean why pick a hindiwallah's bollywood creation?? i think A. Kamal is not a racist :lol2: B. best available scripts are from bollywood.....

P_R
18th September 2009, 12:21 PM
PR, No need to duck. Please continue.
:) That was all actually

I was going to say the standing ovation would have helped wake up all those who had dozed off somewhere between Abhay Deol first waterwash and second. Then I kind of reined in.

Hey Plum, this Ricky thing is good I say.

kid-glove
18th September 2009, 12:22 PM
I have no reason to believe he would have been able to pull off the performance that Shahid manage to in kaminey.

And yes I am saying all this based on 'one' performance directed by an ace director.
This is the problem. And serious-a solren, shaheed performance appadi onnum perusa thonila.

We will see in a few years how things pan out.
I don't see radical changes here. While we will see better films there, and performances will be overrated, talend attributed to every tom, dick and harry in Bolly. :(

Plum
18th September 2009, 12:31 PM
Plum, neenga Kaminey'ya romba thookki vachchu pEsura maadhiri irukku :twisted: It is good... but not great :)

No, sarNA, I didnt. I was underwhelmed by Kaminey, even the LOL moments;

Yes, I felt the same way too. BS_K is okay, but Chopra was excellent.

Plum
18th September 2009, 12:32 PM

Exactly but then you dont have a point to make about bolly's superiority :-)

Plum
18th September 2009, 12:35 PM
don't see radical changes here. While we will see better films there, and performances will be overrated, talend attributed to every tom, dick and harry in Bolly.

Excellent point, k-g. Right now the argument seems to be "mere paas Dev-D hai". konja varushathukku munnAdi varaikkum nammaLum, "mere paas hey-raam hai"-nu solli OttikittirundhOm.

As PR admitted, nobody seems to eb aware of the *average* bolly movie. People are making an assumption that "Dasvidaniya" is an average bolly movie. It isn't. An average bolly movie is Aagey Se Right or Golmaal Returns. And the writing sucks intolerably in those.

MADDY
18th September 2009, 12:38 PM
again assumptions that we cling on to DevD everytime we have a crisis :lol2:

i'll take Johnny Gaddar and beat the daylight out of Paruthiveeran - anyone ready :lol2:

Thalafanz
18th September 2009, 12:39 PM
again assumptions that we cling on to DevD everytime we have a crisis :lol2:

:lol:

i'll take Johnny Gaddar and beat the daylight out of Paruthiveeran - anyone ready :lol2:

Ithukku thAn vvOi, neer vEnum-ngrathu... :P

Plum
18th September 2009, 12:49 PM
:lol: - Johnny Gaddar vs Paruthiveeran. Dev D vs Chennai Kaadhal - looks like mottai thalai muzhangAl comparisons are the order of the day. Or you could say abdul khader and amaavasai, if it is not politically incorrect to say so. Kandinue...

P_R
18th September 2009, 06:06 PM
Okay let's back up a minute

Top of the rung films. Hindi kicks Tamil's behind in all writing and acting. Do we have anyone who disagrees ? I made a point about there being no comparison even in acting. I thought that would be contentious, I see it has been taken as fine.

Average Hindi - admitted, adhu nEkku theriyAdhu. But actually I don't see the 'average' Tamil fare either. Kungamappoovum konjupuRaavum or Kandhasamy. Watch clips and TV and theatre pakkamA paarthu kai eduthu kumbudu.

Simply put, the question I used to ask myself whenever I see a Hindi film is "when are we going to see a Tamil film which is as good". I have begun to accept it as a different animal.

Ok, next bittu...What's your Rashee promos look interesting. Bawejanai ninaichu dhaan light-A udharal edukkudhu but the 12 Priyankas look interesting.

Naama SinegA vachchu try paNNalaam. She has the atvandage of usually having no clue what kind of movie she is doing.

P_R
18th September 2009, 06:11 PM
:lol: - Johnny Gaddar vs Paruthiveeran. Dev D vs Chennai Kaadhal - looks like mottai thalai muzhangAl comparisons are the order of the day.

Why ?

I though PV is indeed one of the rare critical + commercial successes in Tamil in the few years. Anyway, we got the 'bests' comparison settled and closed.

Plum
18th September 2009, 06:35 PM
Johnny Gaddaar was a critically semi-acclaimed and flop in Hindi. The average Janardhan here gives a "WTF" reaction to that movie.

Whats happening is one DEV D is a big hit, and then the history is being rewritten as "all such critically acclaimed movies are succeeding in Hindi" (e.g) the claim on Johnny Gaddaar here.

The way I see it is, the fact that these movies can be made is not a function of the maturity of the bollywood audience(which is not where you. PR, come from but...) but the dynamics of the market. Such a movie, if made in tamil, is expected or believed to be a sureshot to fail, and nobody is willing to take the risk. In Hindi, the average 'different' movie fails, and fails badly but the mechanics for making it and releasing it exists. This is not something to throw as a "superiority card".
In Malayalam two decades back, such movies were made and the average such movie was extremely succesful - now that is an audience which can claim "higher taste"(ofcourse subjective!)

One could say that the audience for bollywood(even the so called superior multiplex audience) is mature when an average movie of this sort is succesful, which is not teh case now. Dasvidaniya? Oh my God? MITHYA? All utter flops. Even Johnny Gaddar was a failure.

So, where does this sense of "we dig bollywood, so we are superior, or simply bollywood is superior" come from?

While we can pan the tamil movie makers for fat pot and horse riding, the fact is the average hindi movie maker would be the same except for the coincidence of a favourable market. Kashyapa munivar will nowhere be near mainstream but for some lucky market conditions.
Here's a link to ponder (http://mobilepaper.timesofindia.com/web/getpage.aspx?pageid=32&pagesize=&edid=MM&edlabel=MMIR&mydateHid=18-09-2009&pubname=Mirror+-+Mumbai&edname=Mumbai&publabel=MM)

Plum
18th September 2009, 06:39 PM
People saw what happened with Bheja Fry and thought that even they could do it get a reasonably decent small foreign film and remake it, small. Even though it was an exception, it did open the floodgates to three or four small budget films every week, most of which failed (sadly, taking Rahul Bose and Vinay Pathak with it). Maan Gaye Mughal-E-Azam , Dasvidaniya , Dil Kabaddi, Oh My God, Straight, Aloo Chat, Delhi Heights, Life Mein Kabhi Kabhi, De Taali (and almost everything Aftab Shivdasani and Dino Morea have been in over the last few years... the list is endless). The margin of success with the small film is even smaller than someones margin of success in becoming SRK. But they see Bheja Fry and think Rs 1-crore films can make Rs 15 crore. In reality, most struggle to recover their money as one has to spend double the amount marketing a small film, explained a trade analyst.

You see that? How many average-to-bad "small" films for that one acclaimed "small" , "well-written" movie?

100's of mass movies release - only a few of them succeed - yet we make mass movies in multtitudes. Why? Because every such movie has an equal percentage of probability of success.

In Hindi, this equation is true for such "small" films. What happens with mass movies here(100 released, 2 super hit) happens with "small" movies there(100 released, 2-3 good or hit). How do you blame the artists and technicians associated with tamil movies for that?

Plum
18th September 2009, 06:44 PM
Incredible it may sound but even 2-3 years back, Kashyapa munivar was a small fry facing a bleak future. If there is one movie which has changed equations, it must be Dev D, because that is a movie which, thanks to intentional fallacy, caught the attention of the average janardhan here. As I quoted before, it was a hit because of the audience a la the one that is shown in Sun TV Thirai Vimarsanam ("Super", "abhay deol chance-E illanga", "Music class-nga", "kya ultimate love ishtory hai", "Mahi gill kya mast hai yaar", "Abhay deol is cho chweet-no") which doesnt even know what is great about the movie

Nerd
18th September 2009, 07:44 PM
"Sinthanai Sei" is an unofficial remake of Johnny Gaddar. Just for inbarmEsan :)

Agree with PR that the best of Bolly > the best of kolly. And IMO Kadhal is as good as anything I I've seen in bolly this decade :twisted: And IIRC there is no v-o in the end. Just some scrolling text. Agree that the film is far from being subtle but that's the whole point 8-)

Plum
18th September 2009, 07:54 PM
Agree with PR that the best of Bolly > the best of kolly
Yeah, adhaan concede paNNittOmE.

It's just a season in the cycle. Innum konja varushathula Amit T is greater than Rahman-nu bollywood-la koova aarambippainga appo Maddy-ai namma pakkam kondu vandhiralaam :-)

P_R
19th September 2009, 05:20 AM
Whats happening is one DEV D is a big hit, and then the history is being rewritten as "all such critically acclaimed movies are succeeding in Hindi" (e.g) the claim on Johnny Gaddaar here. Okay, I will stop pretending that I am really concerned about the commercial success of films.. Hindi or Tamil.

I'll dorect it back to hypothetical plane before this becomes to embroiled in market mechanics.

All I am saying is I don't feel inclined to agree with your 'if only we had the market/resources/opportunities' our guys would have blown the socks off Hindiwallahs'.

If I could make this sound funny I would make a joke alleging yours is 'wishful thinking'. But since the tone of the debate(!) has become sober I will refrain from presuming I can do mind-reading.

PS: RickyNNE ungai kaalai konjam kaaminga.

P_R
19th September 2009, 05:32 AM
And IIRC there is no v-o in the end. Just some scrolling text.

"indha manidha theivathai" appidingra maadhiri oru kural kEttadhA nyAbagam.

littlemaster1982
19th September 2009, 05:58 AM
No voiceovers I think.

P_R
19th September 2009, 07:46 AM
No voiceovers I think.
neenga sonnA sariyA thaan irukkum

aana prachanai ellAm oNNu dhaan

Plum
19th September 2009, 09:04 AM
PR, I think I outlined my stance clearly. Practice makes perfect.
The volumes of "small" movies in bollywood gives the chance for kashyapa munivars to hone skills and strike big.
Whereas a myshkin struggles to release nandhalala, which is probably not half as radically different as kashyapar's movies.

Don't you see the dynamics?

We may or may not blow off the socks off hindi guys. But they get 100 net sessions while we get none. No wonder they perform well in big matches. For that to happen here, first have net sessions(where is utv spotboy here). Then there will atleast be a chance.

System sir system

The same way hindi spluttered through 80's and 90's.and suddenly with money to burn, turned it around. Who would have thought then?
(Atleast, unlike rangan b, you don't say that bolly has always been superior, even during 80's and 90's! - that's a relief)

MADDY
19th September 2009, 09:25 AM
who is arguing abt the knowledge of a average indhi movie fan here?? i care a heck for some indhiwaalas who think aamir khan is the music composer of rangeela :lol: .........we are talking merely about quality of the films.......as compli rightly put, the vision that bollywood holds is good.........look at the number of above average movies made there - i can watch a "good movie" a month for the entire year......bolly is superior in good-to-great movies segment and when we tread down to average movies too - a chak de though lesser than ch-28 is far better conceptualised than a vamanan or nadodigal (:lol2:) ........even in lower segment, i was very happy with contradictions in characterisations in a "attu" movie like Race....on the whole their industry is moving in the right direction, which i;m really not worried abt but what makes me support bollywood is the "good movie" i get a month......idhu thappa?

reg accusations on me blindly supporting DevD -- umpteen times i had explained why i consider DevD as a great work.....even when LM asked us again - "whats so great" i took pains to explain the whole idea again........i risked the wrath of pundits ( :P ) and supported the "dull" second half too........still if im branded as a average janardhanan who goes by reviews - then its a juicy outswinging half-volley to take my edge to slips :lol2: ......well left da Maddy :P ......i could throw a similar half volley on nan kadavul, seri, let me choose louuu atleast once as per thalaivar's advice :D

reg amit-rahman equations - i would be the happiest person if Amit gets bigger than Rahman in bollywood.....yaaruda avan, eppadi paathalum namma payyan (rahman fan) :thumbsup: ......

MADDY
19th September 2009, 10:07 AM
now hiding behind music system and computer system :lol2: .......show me a Anurag Kashyap in tamil and i withdraw :evil:

P_R
19th September 2009, 10:12 AM
now hiding behind music system and computer system :lol2: .......show me a Anurag Kashyap in tamil and i withdraw :evil:

andha paya medhuvA thaen varuvaaen medhuvA thaen varuvaen

P_R
19th September 2009, 10:19 AM
System sir system

The same way hindi spluttered through 80's and 90's.and suddenly with money to burn, turned it around. Who would have thought then?

Hmm...optimism is a gift. :-)

Only Kamal here and he does not write "his" movies. paarppOm

Sarna
19th September 2009, 10:24 AM
System sir system

Hmm...optimism is a gift. :-)

ONLY writing dhaan movie'yaa ?

P_R
19th September 2009, 10:30 AM
Sarna, to answer very bluntly.....yes.

Sarna
19th September 2009, 10:33 AM
Sarna, to answer very bluntly.....yes.

sari free'yaa vidunga :)

MADDY
19th September 2009, 10:35 AM

:exactly: TN, containing a homogenous audience, is a easier hunting ground for a creator to hone his skills - but where is that "creator" who is ready to slog his a** like Anurag did in 90s......imagine his ignominy of writing dialogues for dubbed shankar movie Nayak - his blog resonates a sad voice always.....

kollywood has a serious dearth of talent.......accept it and work on it why deny it......only hope -- > if kamal and his screenwriting team of 20 or 25 jump into the scene big time - things can easily change :bow: .......

Sarna
19th September 2009, 11:12 AM
where is that "creator"

assistant directors 40 pErukku maximum number of hollywood DVD's vaangi kuduththuttu... nallaa paaththu padam edukka kaththukkOngapaanu advice pannittum varalaam :) 40 pErula neenga solra maadhiri oru creator kedakka maattaaraa enna :P

Sarna
19th September 2009, 11:22 AM
one more ulta from bollywood (http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/review/14028/index.html)

Dil Bole Hadippa :P

Plum
19th September 2009, 06:08 PM
Namma compliye irukkaru - inge oru utv spotboy iruindha avaru ipdi script-a vechukittu be be-nu muzhichikittu nippaarA?
Idhje hindila ezhudhina epdiyum finance kedaikkumm. Padam nalla edukkararo illayo, he will get experience like kashyapar did. Illaingareengala?
I am saying it is impossible that god creates talent only in north india for 2007-2014 :-)
Ingeyum irukkum - spotboy illaiye inga. Dil kabaddi eduthu relese panna mudiyuma inga? Apram epdi sar talent mela varum?

I find it funny that we can't accept tht the system is conducive for tqalent there and here it isn't.

Plum
19th September 2009, 06:14 PM
I don't know how else to explain this - for every 100 films attempting to be different, 2_3 therudhu hindila. If we have producers who can afford to make 98 nistakes where a film attempts to do good writing and fails or only partially succeeds ingeyum dhaaralama nalla padam varum. Let utv spotboy et al go bankrupt appo paarkalaam hindila enna kizhikkaraangannu :-)

Plum
19th September 2009, 06:16 PM
Maddy avg janardhan is a reference to some amit123@yahoo.coms here not you :-)
(Yeah, pr, point out that krish ashok coined amit123 :-) )

MADDY
19th September 2009, 07:29 PM
Namma compliye irukkaru - inge oru utv spotboy iruindha avaru ipdi script-a vechukittu be be-nu muzhichikittu nippaarA?
Idhje hindila ezhudhina epdiyum finance kedaikkumm. Padam nalla edukkararo illayo, he will get experience like kashyapar did. Illaingareengala?
I am saying it is impossible that god creates talent only in north india for 2007-2014 :-)
Ingeyum irukkum - spotboy illaiye inga. Dil kabaddi eduthu relese panna mudiyuma inga? Apram epdi sar talent mela varum?

I find it funny that we can't accept tht the system is conducive for tqalent there and here it isn't.

system is not conducive for growing talents-nnu solrel......but kedachha chance-a ellam vechhi paatha - dearth of talent-nnu dhaan-nnu thonudhu.......i agree that a kashyapan could be roaming somewhere in kodambakkam without a chance but we can argue only with what we have........

even if system is bad, then also TFI has to be blamed and not just attribute "bigger" indhi markets to "good system" in hindi.......bigger markets always dont ensure better system...also, we cant keep giving reasons for bad movies in tamil and be happy with whatever we have.......btw, i saw ronnie screwwala(enna lastname :bow:) attending a couple of functions in tamil and one of them with our sivakumar's son.......enna aachu??

Plum
19th September 2009, 08:01 PM
Maddy, still not getting my point. Where is the opp for a compli to make a mistake and learn. Is screwala willing to sponsor compli? As he does a random amit123 in hindi? No. And there are no aanikkaarans in tamil either. If compli wants to make a movie where is the support. In hindi, I argue compli with no experience can sell a script. Red the chacko article I referred to earlier - corporates with no idea wanting to make a small artsy movie and selectinf random scripts because they have no idea. Andha maadhiri ilichavaayan inge enga? System is clearly supporting the talent there. If you only look at the result without looking at the process, how do you understand the dynamics?

MADDY
19th September 2009, 10:00 PM
And there are no aanikkaarans in tamil either.

and whose fault is that.......SUNTV =1lakh screwalas.......enna vazham illai indha thirunaattil.... :P

System is clearly supporting the talent there. If you only look at the result without looking at the process, how do you understand the dynamics?

i cant go too much into the process because i dont know exactly how it works inside.......but u wud laugh if i say that goondas and mafia controlled kannada film industry in 70's and hence they never took off.......but thats a fact and another fact is that they had less talent.....they didnt have a mahendran or bahrathiraja to take off in 80s - simple......

do u agree that Ameer, vetrimaran, Selvaraghavan, samudrakani etc got their chances??? sorry, they dont qualify as much as a abbas tyrewala or a sriram ragahavan - thats the whole point from me.....even director Shankar is giving lot of chances to newcomers and youngsters but they are good not great......

and also sir, its not that anuraagar jumped out of his plush 7-bedroom gorakhpur flat into UTV spotboy office and started belting class movies.........his life was full of struggles and DevD is his first success -- atleast thats what his interviews and blogs suggest....

complicateur
19th September 2009, 10:29 PM
Where is the opp for a compli to make a mistake and learn. Is screwala willing to sponsor compli? As he does a random amit123 in hindi? No. And there are no aanikkaarans in tamil either. If compli wants to make a movie where is the support. In hindi, I argue compli with no experience can sell a script.
*points finger at self and talks in loop*
Be careful... nAn ennach chonnEn

Plum
20th September 2009, 12:30 PM
[tscii:0567dd92f9]Kannada in 70's and 80's were trailblazers. When our greaÞ white hope was making sakala kala vallavans, shankar nag made sensible mainstream movies there. I am not sure you know kannada cinema of that time well enough. It was also the period of puttanna kanagal in kannada vs ksg in tamil(70's); girish karnad vs ??? In tamil. Girish kasaravalli's hey days. Sorry, saar, that defense doesn't wash.

Anyway that's a digression. My point is simple. Was it edison who talked about 999 failed ezperiments leading to the 1000tgh attempt being succesdul?

Let's say shankar"s ezperiments are those failed experiments - though I think shankr's sensibilities might be a contributory factor to the choices his prod house makes - and we need more such failed experiments to reach dev d levels. That hindi chronologically precedes us in this is merely an accident of time. Just like hollywood movie watching kashyapars and bharadwaj learnt the type of movies that appeal to your class of film goers, maybe it will filter down here. It is not as if kashyap and bhardwaj invented techniqurs themselves - they learnt watching foreign movies. So just wait for smae thing to happen here.

And I repeat we need utv spotboy here - I wish the scripts submitted to kamal in the workshop get made, irrespective of excellence levels. That sort of outlet for the mediocre 'art' movie will eventually pave the way for excellent. That is how a dev d happened - 100 crap 'different' hindi movies and then dev d. Kashyap didn't jump in from heaven. Luckily for him, the market opened up at the right time. Two more years of frustration, and he would have packed the bags. He admitted as much. Clearly, the corporate cash has a lot to do with the quality of hindi movies than you give credit for.I wish utv spotboys nd the like go bankrupt - I want to see how long these guys will last then.[/tscii:0567dd92f9]

Sarna
20th September 2009, 12:42 PM
[tscii:0156538ddd]
Kannada in 70's and 80's were trailblazers. When our greaÞ white hope was making sakala kala vallavans, shankar nag made sensible mainstream movies there. I am not sure you know kannada cinema of that time well enough. It was also the period of puttanna kanagal in kannada vs ksg in tamil(70's); girish karnad vs ??? In tamil. Girish kasaravalli's hey days. Sorry, saar, that defense doesn't wash.

Glad to know atleast someone like u knew something good about Kannada film industry :) I have seen few movies of those legends (thanks to Chandana and other kannada TV channels )

Mentioned period by u were the porkaalam of kannada cine industry :)

// end dig [/tscii:0156538ddd]

Plum
20th September 2009, 01:00 PM
Yes sarna surely the golden age of kannada cinema and here we have maddy rubbishing that very period.:-). Enna solla mudiyum. Sake hands

littlemaster1982
21st September 2009, 10:25 PM
Jab We Met - quite good. But Kareena Kapoor was mighty annoying as bubbly girl :sigh2: Shahid :thumbsup:

P_R
21st September 2009, 11:05 PM
Plum, you may find this interesting

http://passionforcinema.com/laxmikant-shetgaonkar-and-the-ambitions-of-the-indian-film-maker/

Nerd
22nd September 2009, 01:26 AM
LM what's the siggy? :oops:

P_R
22nd September 2009, 01:34 AM
LM what's the siggy? :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIn4Nldtf1Q

Plum
22nd September 2009, 08:05 AM
Interesting article, pr.
However, the author seems to have gone overboard. Kashyap's response was priceless :-)
Nevertheless, the point is valid, something I haven't been able to articulate despite pages of output here - namely, that Kashyap isn't half as contemporarily path breaking or relveant in world cinema as a Ray or even Kasaravalli.

The way bollywood hypes him amd his like now as never-before-in--ndian-cinema, one would think that benegal, nihalani et al never happened in india. And I think that takes my mickey more than the comparisons with tamil. And to think that they were original, and didn't bring 10-15 years old hollywood screenplay techniques :-)

MADDY
22nd September 2009, 08:34 AM
Black friday was Scorsese DevD was not.....i hope it wasnt Anurag who told "next spielberg" :lol: .......have to watch Anurag;s reply in video cause i cant believe that a man who took to writing inspired by Bicycle theieves wants to be a hollywood dummy.......anyways, this is treading into "art for art" lines which is way above my head......

P_R
22nd September 2009, 11:34 AM
Read the comments...apparently the guy who wrote the article didn't catch what they were saying.

All that apart, I think it is very very fair to have Hollywood ambitions. I deinitely like American movies better than most others.

edukkalaam metaphoraiyum, imagery-aiyum nambi, surrealistic musics edhunAchum paNNalaam. thappillai. But to spite them for -allegedly - not having such ambitions is nonsense. And what's with Hollywood bashing anyway ??

And by the way on Dev D. IMO it was very good but all-time-great ellAm remba over. I found the second half largely show. If I were to be a movie - apart from maqbool- that I thoroughly enjoyed, it is Hazaron kwaishein Aisi. Not Dev D. But then, I just have different expectations out film.

P_R
22nd September 2009, 11:36 AM
one would think that benegal, nihalani et al never happened in india. And I think that takes my mickey more than the comparisons with tamil.I suspected this. :lol2:

Wait till some kid born this year writes a great movie and people say he is the greatest tamil screenwriter. annikku irukku "kadai adaippu" :lol2:

equanimus
22nd September 2009, 12:26 PM
I ignored Pattiyal because it was a good performance. I was trying to understand why you clumped koodal nagar with that. Lookalike was the only reason I could think of that may explain it. What I have seen in the movie is very ordinary. One wouldn't compare it with the performance in Kaminey.
I don't recall Bharath's performance that well, but I thought 'kUdal nagar' had some impressive parts. It's not a particularly good film -- it's very much content treading the beaten track in terms of story, but it was quite impressive on other levels. To be specific, I liked the dynamics of the thalaivan-thoNdan relationship here, which I'd put forth as a worthier alternative to the utterly banal portrayal of political exploitation in films like 'subramaNiyapuram.'

MADDY
22nd September 2009, 12:53 PM
IMO it was very good but all-time-great ellAm remba over

who said this 'ki' DevD is the best ever? :roll: Anurag himself says he wants to hit the "mainstream jackpot" and fights with yash johar/chopra brigade - where is the question of him being compared to Ray or Adoor? (i just know thier names :P )

P_R
22nd September 2009, 07:44 PM
Who said..a

niRaiya musicals and visuals appididhAn ezhudhinaanga. Indian mainstream cinema has reached a new aesthetic height

Anyway my post was a pretext to mention HKA - which was the first time I was genuinely surprised I am seeing such a Hindi film. And it does n't get much mention in the discussions.

kid-glove
22nd September 2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah it doesn't feature a lot in discussions. But you will find a lot of HKA fans here. :)

Nerd
22nd September 2009, 08:28 PM
Yes yes. Heroyini-kkAgavE naalu dhadavai pAkkalaam. What a beety :oops:

Plum
22nd September 2009, 08:34 PM
I havent seen HKA fully yet - andha rape-accused party moonja paarthAle paarka pudikkala. But yeah, Sudhir Mishra is quite good so did like the parts I watched.
(idhula personal history: Mishra's first movie "yeh woh manzil to nahin" 13 vayasula DD-la parthuttu naan school-la paNNa aLappara irukkE....apramA pasanga moonjila thuNi pOttu adichu konjam levelku kondu vandhainga :lol:. It was the first 'art' movie I watched and kind of liked or got touched, so have a soft corner for Mishra)

MADDY
22nd September 2009, 08:51 PM
niRaiya musicals and visuals appididhAn ezhudhinaanga.

used like mechanical :rotfl:

Indian mainstream cinema has reached a new aesthetic height

kamal in panchathandhiram holiday inn hotel scene - adhukku kaaranam naan dhaan

DevD's success is coming of age for indian mainstream cinema, illaya ? :D

Plum
22nd September 2009, 09:11 PM
Adhukenna, I'd argue MMKR was a breakthrough for the Indian commercial film. The amount of subversion Kamal packed into that one needs an essay of equanimous or complicateurian proportions!

MADDY
22nd September 2009, 09:33 PM
Adhukenna, I'd argue MMKR was a breakthrough for the Indian commercial film. The amount of subversion Kamal packed into that one needs an essay of equanimous or complicateurian proportions!

sollikonga - yaaru venaamnu sonna......naanum kural kudukkuren..... :D

did u see DevD and listen to its music btw? :D (no nakkals just a honest question)

P_R
22nd September 2009, 09:35 PM
did u see DevD :lol:

MADDY
22nd September 2009, 09:40 PM
did u see DevD :lol:

adhaan honest question-nnu sollitomla :P .....i remember him giving comments for kaminey as underwhelming but i havent head anything as such for DevD......adhaan doubtu

Plum
22nd September 2009, 09:46 PM
Maddy, oNNum perrusA puriyalappA. I am not a young I guess. If there are briliant references to weld movies(as with no smoking), then it goes over my head; naturally, I rile against that. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Music was pretty good, but nothing of Rahmanic proportions, I thought.

kid-glove
22nd September 2009, 10:13 PM
Plum,
References were pretty less in DevD. But he employs stylistics you'd often associate with Hollywood films. "No Smoking" is more guilty.

P_R
22nd September 2009, 10:19 PM
I think much of my disinterest in Dev D stemmed from being unimpressed by Chanda - psychoanalysts start meesic :lol2:

After doing a big build-up I felt it was reduced to a one weak line, "Half the country got off..."
bussunnu pOyiduchu. At that point suddenly the movie itself started feeling self-righteous - admittedly in a wierd way.

Bala (Karthik)
23rd September 2009, 01:45 AM
I think much of my disinterest in Dev D stemmed from being unimpressed by Chanda - psychoanalysts start meesic :lol2:

After doing a big build-up I felt it was reduced to a one weak line, "Half the country got off..."
bussunnu pOyiduchu. At that point suddenly the movie itself started feeling self-righteous - admittedly in a wierd way.
Seri, Chanda development eppadi irundhirukkanum nu sollungo!

Bala (Karthik)
23rd September 2009, 01:46 AM
niRaiya musicals and visuals appididhAn ezhudhinaanga. Indian mainstream cinema has reached a new aesthetic height

Illaya pinna? :twisted:

P_R
23rd September 2009, 02:08 AM

Seri, Chanda development eppadi irundhirukkanum nu sollungo!

appidiyellAm oNNum solradhukkillai.

Paro Dev-ai deal-la viduradhu, their whole relationship was done extremely well. The Chanda story, weaving in of condembrary events, observations on Indian hypocrisy, she picking the name for herself, honing herself as a diversified service provider struck me as too clever by half.

And there was so much emphasis on there being no "no sobbing self pity" , Maggi it's different etc. but "half of India.." line was made to sound like the line of the character, I found that 'social commentary' tone annoying. Needless to say the line would have sold if the character had been 'interesting'.

Nerd
23rd September 2009, 03:10 AM
I found Chanda very interesting and *that* line worked for me. In fact I liked that line immensely.

Plum
23rd September 2009, 08:05 AM
Btw caught WYR promos. Looks like Miss Yogi - idhai yaaro inge promising-nu sonnApla?

littlemaster1982
23rd September 2009, 09:43 AM
honing herself as a diversified service provider struck me as too clever by half.

:lol: :oops:

MADDY
23rd September 2009, 09:44 AM
I found Chanda very interesting and *that* line worked for me. In fact I liked that line immensely.

yea - same blood here.......from chanda's POV she was victimised and Dev was the only person whom she could tell that.......i loved Dev-chanda love track immensely which is why i didnt find 2nd half boring........chanda to chunni: isko dobaara mat leke aao, mujhe pyar ho jayegi :lol: .......

honing herself as a diversified service provider

my job profile - total damage :rotfl:

Maddy, oNNum perrusA puriyalappA. I am not a young I guess. If there are briliant references to weld movies(as with no smoking), then it goes over my head; naturally, I rile against that. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Music was pretty good, but nothing of Rahmanic proportions, I thought.

oh ok, thanks..........world movies/hollywood references i dont know - it was pretty colorful and musical that was so Indian.........someone in the link given by P_R told DevD had shades of tarantino - now i dont know his style since i have seen only 2 movies of his :P .............

music, yes definitely he will come up - no doubts abt that 8-)

P_R
23rd September 2009, 10:42 AM
WYR trailers :-(

idhu hit aachunnA, Plum-ai pudichikka mudiyAdhE.

Plum
23rd September 2009, 10:56 AM
honing herself as a diversified service provider

my job profile - total damage :rotfl:

Vudra vudra soonapana, visarichu paartha inge pala peru nelama adhu dhaan - idhellam namakku pazhagi pochu:-)

kid-glove
23rd September 2009, 11:22 AM

Yes, and why that line worked is because of that particular (condemporary) shambles (now who had ever thought of conceiving such a character based on this issue? Maybe it does suffocate because AK had squeezed two into one in this film), and it had also shambled her top-down. A rather fiery young lady who hasn't gone through a normal adolescence. It felt in place. Maybe there is a tinge of hyperbole and self-righteousness, and in all fairness, I could see where PR is coming from.

equanimus
23rd September 2009, 11:48 AM
And WYR stands for?

Edit: Ok, got it. What's Your Raashee. Kood!

P_R
23rd September 2009, 07:34 PM
Kood! :shock:

equanimus
23rd September 2009, 07:46 PM
Kood! :shock:
puriyalaiyE... used it as a finisher (like "nallA irunga") actually.

P_R
23rd September 2009, 08:44 PM
Oho. I am for mistake.

MADDY
24th September 2009, 10:38 AM
Blue Umbrella - very nice........Pankar kapur :shock: never expected this performance from him 8-)

Plum
24th September 2009, 10:49 AM
Blue Umbrella - very nice........Pankar kapur :shock: never expected this performance from him 8-)

What? kutti 16 adi paainjudhngarInga - appan 32 adi paaivaannu theriyAdhA?

MADDY
24th September 2009, 11:07 AM
What? kutti 16 adi paainjudhngarInga - appan 32 adi paaivaannu theriyAdhA?

ada, aama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJADareFxdI)

AudazJay
24th September 2009, 12:08 PM
Managed to get hold of Gullal last week. Very intriguing...disturbing as well :shock: College politics and Rajputana's ideology depicted here are hard to digest, nevertheless you get the idea where the director is coming from...

Needless to say, everyone performed extremely well..Special mention need to be given to Kay Kay Menon and Mahi Gill. Absolutely stunning performance :thumbsup:

I haven't been able to watch DevD til date. But having seen Anurag Kashyap's amazing work in Gullal...DevD sure seems promising :D

MADDY
26th September 2009, 09:58 PM
Gulaal on my list for a long time - have to catch up :sigh:

ek chaalis ki last local - good but sort of boring......the sequences leading up to tension zone was very boring and stretched out.......comedy was excellent in some places.....gay sequences were really rib tickling :lol: ......but somehow director didnt have the ability to compress the length yet make a indelligend movie.....

Abhay deol - whoever tells that he has a comfort zone should tell me whats his comfort zone :huh: .........he is doing all sorts of roles and proving himself........his acting style/range and talent - this is what i want 8-)

Plum
27th September 2009, 10:52 AM
Come on folks, come and say "WYR is bad but Priyanka Chopra is the best actress in the country"!

Wibha
27th September 2009, 02:18 PM
Whats your Rashee?

IDK if the movie was good or bad, but it was way too long :sigh2:

kid-glove
27th September 2009, 02:37 PM
Come on folks, come and say "WYR is bad but Priyanka Chopra is the best actress in the country"!

Appu s
27th September 2009, 04:10 PM

Plum u can dance now, heard that WYR has bad writer in the result :)

Appu s
27th September 2009, 04:11 PM
Whats your Rashee?

IDK if the movie was good or bad, but it was way too long :sigh2:

wibha paathacha? did u enjoy the movie or boring movie?

Sarna
27th September 2009, 04:20 PM

Plum u can dance now, heard that WYR has bad writer in the result :)

namma ooru commercial padangala ellaam remake panna pOraangalaam :happydance: :victory: :happydance:

btw, wanted opening scene paaththEn ... Salman mouthing punch dialogue ... one from pokiri itself ... other one from Sivaji

panninga dhaandaa koottamaa varum :lol: singam single'aa dhaan varum :rotfl:

MADDY
27th September 2009, 06:20 PM
last movie watched - manorama, six feet under...........sort of movie that will put you to sleep but i loved it.......it brought me back memories of agatha cristie, hercule poirot and Hardy boys days 8-) .......laid back investigation thriller with no dramatism.........neatly etched out characters and sequences.......must watch for old type, non-glamorous detective story fans......and it wasnt a UTV production :lol2: infact my previous movie - ek chaalis was also not UTV, u know :P

as usual, Abhay deol rocked, he just stood up and belted his ferfarmans in front of extremely talented vinay pathak - he is justifying my claim of best actor :bow: ......

Plum
27th September 2009, 07:06 PM
Manorama was a. Fine film - actually the investigation angle is incidental to the movie - infact, detective or thrill is not the point of the movie at all :-)

Seri paravA illai - at least we agree that the movie is a fine one, even if for different reasons

MADDY
27th September 2009, 07:54 PM
thank god, we agreed on something :)

Plum
27th September 2009, 08:33 PM
I would like to hear more of navdeep singh than the hollywood-european cinema stalwarts bhardwaj and kashyapa munivar. He can easily destroy our paruthiveeran argument(which incidentally is only a crutch I use - I amme with equa on that one).

MADDY
27th September 2009, 10:19 PM
i just read it was his debut movie - brilliant yaar mane unbelievable storyline for a debutant.... :D

revisited kaminey on DVD rip only for comedy scenes and Amol gupte has done a great job :rotfl:

charlie: mein fa ko fa bolta hoon
bhope: fa ko fa nahin bolega toh kya la bolega :lol:

bhope: tumhe shaadi pe nahin bulaya?
Charlie: nahin
bhope: chalo, mujhe bhi nahin bulaya (and looks at his allakkai) :lol:

bhope to small kid: chocolate kaadaaaaa?? (the way he says it - hilarious)

in climax, bhope acting like dead and shooting off bengali brother :rotfl:

kid-glove
27th September 2009, 10:21 PM
I would like to hear more of navdeep singh than the hollywood-european cinema stalwarts bhardwaj and kashyapa munivar.

Navdeep is more of a Holly-European cinema stalwart than VishalB, by some distance actually. I don't know why Vishal Bharadwaj joined this list, Plum. Are you basing it on the purported QT inspiration in Kaminey? About Navdeep & MSFU, I'm not basing it on 'Chinatown' connection per se, but also the way he choreographs scenes, and the way he captures the landscape.

MADDY
27th September 2009, 10:29 PM
one more -

bhope: behen hai koi ?
charlie: :roll:
bhope: meri hai, phod diya tere bhai ne :rotfl3:

P_R
28th September 2009, 09:36 AM
Luck by Chance -impressive
Manorama zix feet under - very impressive

AravindMano
28th September 2009, 10:29 AM

The titles montage was pretty cool. And that short montage of Hrithik and slum kids. Wah! :thumbsup:

P_R
28th September 2009, 10:48 AM

The titles montage was pretty cool. And that short montage of Hrithik and slum kids. Wah! :thumbsup:

Many impressive parts.

Rishi Kapoor-ku ivvaLo thiRamaiyA !! :shock:
The scene where Hrithik calls him after the film becomes a hit.

yahan to sirf property ko property kehte hain :lol:

Rishi: 50,000 (plane takeoff) :lol:
Farhan: :-|

To Anurag Kashyap "Eh Institute" :lol:

Apparently he is doing a semi-biographical film called Chintuji...paakkaNum.

AravindMano
28th September 2009, 10:53 AM
Many impressive parts.

Agreed. :)

Apparently he is doing a semi-biographical film called Chintuji...paakkaNum.

I think its out already. Read few reviews.

Plum
28th September 2009, 11:10 AM
Ok, p-r, there is a breaking point etc - rishi kappoor is it. I offcially disown you now :-)

P_R
28th September 2009, 11:27 AM
Ok, p-r, there is a breaking point etc - rishi kappoor is it. I offcially disown you now :-)

neenga padam paathuteengaLA ?

P_R
29th September 2009, 07:07 PM
Sooraj ka Saatvan Ghoda

Hmm..Didn't go anywhere.

MADDY
29th September 2009, 07:18 PM
Sooraj ka Saatvan Ghoda

Hmm..Didn't go anywhere.

yaaru padam baa :roll:

P_R
29th September 2009, 07:21 PM
Sooraj ka Saatvan Ghoda

Hmm..Didn't go anywhere.

Shyam Benegal
Early 90s nEsanal award winning film
Rajit Kapoor's debut film I think
And...this may interest you...is largely built on the Devdas story

Plum
29th September 2009, 07:32 PM
I saw that in DD in the 90's. onniyum puriyala appo.

adhellAm waning phase-la paNNinadhu. I am more fascinated by his kalyug phase, and that movie he made on Goa, with the 1960's liberation background. And that absolute stunner produced by Shashi Kapoor on 1857.(enna kandraavi, padam pErellAm marandhu pochu!)

MADDY
29th September 2009, 07:34 PM
Sooraj ka Saatvan Ghoda

Hmm..Didn't go anywhere.

Shyam Benegal
Early 90s nEsanal award winning film
Rajit Kapoor's debut film I think
And...this may interest you...is largely built on the Devdas story

ada paavigala, enakku Devdas-naale pudikkum-nnu mudivu pannitteengala :lol: .....i hate that character - infact Anurag too thinks that way and the way he tampered with the original is what made me like it :D

this movie was pretty popular those days - in the sense made rounds in DD :P

Plum
29th September 2009, 07:38 PM
SKSG ellAm Benegal Wife-E paarthiruppAngaLAnnu doubt :-)

The best of Shyam for me are Kalyug(lovely adaptation of Mahabharat), trikaal(the goa one), Bhumika and the 1857 one. Havent seen much acclaimed Mandi and Nishant; Manthan and Ankur enakku konjam underwhelming-A irundhadhu

P_R
29th September 2009, 07:38 PM
ada paavigala, enakku Devdas-naale pudikkum-nnu mudivu pannitteengala :lol: .....i hate that character - infact Anurag too thinks that way and the way he tampered with the original is what made me like it :D
:-)
I meant it may interest you to know that someone else also tried a different angil. paathuttu sollunga

Plum
29th September 2009, 07:39 PM
P_R, adhula Kappoor is a story teller something something and flashback, surrealism-ngara maadhiri ennennamo varum illa? I dont remember much except these vague thoughts that ran through my mind when I watched first!

complicateur
29th September 2009, 09:45 PM
Mandi is brilliant cinema. But I am not sure there was a 'point' to the movie. Bear in mind I don't insist that films need to have or make a point, just that I was surprised by the pointlessness.

P_R
29th September 2009, 10:09 PM
Havent seen much acclaimed Mandi

unga friend Shahid kapoorOda appAru reNdE scene vandhaarum kalakkiruppaaru

P_R
3rd October 2009, 09:35 AM
UPO

Where is Plum ?

Overall finesse, acting, writing idhai paththi ellAm konjam
combaritive-A pEsuvOmA :lol2:

Plum
3rd October 2009, 10:27 AM
Nan ushaarA innum upo paarkala , prabhu ram. Irundhaalum, ninga solra alavukku mosama irukkadhunnu aanitharama solven. Bollywood public prosecutor baradwaj rangan-e pass pannittaar. Ninga solrdhelaam selladhu :-)

P_R
3rd October 2009, 10:41 AM
Oh it is certainly not bad at all. And I am not talking about Mohanlal and Kamal. (adhai paththi anga pEsuvOm)

I meant the 'dumbing' down of scenes, sequences, dialogues etc. which either seemed like they missed "what clicked" in the indhi version or were very conscious of a 'need' watering down. Giving the preponderance of English it seemed to me that the movie was not necessarily aimed at the lowest common denominator. That is why the dip in writing/direction was odd.

Localization 'na enna ?

Appu s
3rd October 2009, 01:50 PM
revisited Johnny Gaddar , the movie with perfection but with few lapses here and there .. director maintained the thrilling and the gripping screenplay even though he reveals the culprit early in the movie .. :thumbsup:

MADDY
4th October 2009, 08:09 AM
Localization 'na enna ?

(just laughed because i remembered "isai-na enna" sequence not that i agree with P_R)

last movie i saw- Black Friday........needless to say, it was very good......though screenplay had Scorcesse style, dialogues were very much Anurag ishtyle......

downloaded Gulaal from a site but the files didnt play :x ......thats the only AK movie i havent watched till now.....ofcourse, i have laid my hands on "Return of Hanuman" also :D

P_R
4th October 2009, 09:20 AM
Localization 'na enna ?
(just laughed because i remembered "isai-na enna" sequence not that i agree with P_R)
I meant in more on the lines of Vadivelu picking up a fight with STD booth owner Singamuthu who dials 'extra' number
"yaarrA local-u ?"

Padam paarthappO andha arthathula localize paNNadhA thONichu :lol2:

downloaded Gulaal from a site but the files didnt play :x ......thats the only AK movie i havent watched till now.....ofcourse, i have laid my hands on "Return of Hanuman" also :D pAttukku translation ellAm ezhudhi pOdunga. adhellAm puriyAdhadhunaala paadhi padam mattum paartha effect.
Particularly the sarfaroshi song.

Purinjavaraikkum pramAdhamA irundhuchu
(From the Ranaji song:)

dhoor dhEs tower mein gus jaayE aeroplane :lol:

jaise bina baat afghanistan ke baj gaye bhaiyyA band :rotfl:

MADDY
4th October 2009, 10:23 AM
I meant in more on the lines of Vadivelu picking up a fight with STD booth owner Singamuthu who dials 'extra' number
"yaarrA local-u ?" Padam paarthappO andha arthathula localize paNNadhA thONichu :lol2:

haha ok :lol: thats equally funny but more damaging to chakri :yessir:

pAttukku translation ellAm ezhudhi pOdunga. adhellAm puriyAdhadhunaala paadhi padam mattum paartha effect.
Particularly the sarfaroshi song.

Purinjavaraikkum pramAdhamA irundhuchu
(From the Ranaji song:)

dhoor dhEs tower mein gus jaayE aeroplane :lol:

jaise bina baat afghanistan ke baj gaye bhaiyyA band :rotfl:

:lol: yea, there was a deleted scene in DevD as well, where chunni tries to explain to Dev abt Paro being WMD and Dev, like america is being too obsessed with something thats not present in reality :lol:

paattukkellam translation-aaaa :shock: remba kashtam..... :D

Plum
4th October 2009, 11:05 AM
Amaamaam, visaal thambilaam americavai thevai illaama izhukkalaam, adhuvum some north eastern gangster sambandamilaama americava oizhuppaan. Kamalai mattum kindal adikka vendiadhu thevai illaama politics pesaraarnu. Bias, folks, theerppu sollittu evidence thedareenga.
I found references to america, thiruvannthapuram in love making scene etc childish.

MADDY
4th October 2009, 11:35 AM
:lol: yea, there was a deleted scene in DevD as well, where chunni tries to explain to Dev abt Paro being WMD and Dev, like america is being too obsessed with something thats not present in reality :lol:

here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjzJyViZIk&feature=related

P_R
4th October 2009, 11:58 AM
I found references to america, thiruvannthapuram in love making scene etc childish.
Thiruvananthapuram was hilarious.
manasaLavula innum kuzhandhaiyA irundhuttu pOrEn. :P

Plum
4th October 2009, 12:59 PM
I doubt if that demographic would even know the existence of trivandrum, let alone thiruvannthapuram. That is why it was extremely incongruous. And the choice of name-changed cities stuck out as well - vague attempt at commenting on linguistic politics. And bhope didn't strike me as a consistent character as well. He seemed to be dancing to the director's string puliing. - like paruthiveeran to ameer's tune. The whole bhope-mikail sequence was predictably cliched. Not a patch on even some rgv movies of last decade.

Kaminey is grossly overrated like the erstwhile amar a a, coolie etc.

P_R
4th October 2009, 04:45 PM
I doubt if that demographic would even know the existence of trivandrum, let alone thiruvannthapuram. That is why it was extremely incongruous.
That is the joke !

Thiruvananthapuram is the kinda name that stumps the North(of-Vindhya) Indian. It is a fascinating half-funny and thus mystical name (kinda like Timbuktu to Captain Haddock and us). So in the fit of intimacy her love-uLaral extends to Thiruvananthapuram it becomes so funny.

And the choice of name-changed cities stuck out as well - vague attempt at commenting on linguistic politics. Subtext is for you. The way it jumps from a local specific city where it makes 'sense' to say 'I love Mumbai' versus distant cities, which are but names to them, was lovely. Ultimately 'you can't love names, you can only love people' appidingra subtext ellAm naamalA intellectualize paNNikiradhu.

The whole bhope-mikail sequence was predictably cliched. Yeah...that was quite unfunny, drawn beyond punchline annoying.

Kaminey is grossly overrated like the erstwhile amar a a, coolie etc. IndhiyAvulayE....yEn namma waeld-layE indha reNdu padangaLOda Kaminey-vai combare paNNa aaL neenga mattum dhaan.

In those days there were better movies than amar a a, made in Tamil. Or atleast it was possible to.

Plum
4th October 2009, 08:26 PM
Apdi thaanga bollywoodla pesikkaraanga. Ninga venaa bardwaj rangantta aaa pathi kelunga - masterpiece beyond the realms of imagintion of any lving or dead tamil directornu solluvaaru:-)
(Not sure but I think he did draw aaa in his blog while discussing kaminey!

Plum
4th October 2009, 08:28 PM
Btw, yaarum wakeup sid paarkaliyaa? Paarhtuttu vandhu ranbir is third best actor in the countrynu solalia?
(First-second - deol, bskapoor)

MADDY
4th October 2009, 09:05 PM
revisited socha na tha......i had watched it last in 2006 - nice movie.......as again, brilliant dialogues from Imtiaz ali.......Abhay Deol's debut movie - hardly looks like a debutant.......nice timepass.........

P_R
4th October 2009, 09:18 PM
UPO

In the face of...
Tamil-la nalla padam...pAttE illai etc.
Tamil-la konjam 'dilute' paNNA dhaan 'reach' aagum etc.

One is encouraged to make a very objectively and bland summary like a wise sage: 'A step in the right direction..'

:-)

MADDY
4th October 2009, 10:11 PM
P_R, why UPO here? anyways, u got the word correctly - the timing was awry in UPO......the punch, zeal and timing was missing....it was more dramatic as well - Mu.ka's voice over the phone and all - :lol: ......

Plum
4th October 2009, 10:26 PM
Siringaa siringa - when the bhojpuri industry takes over bollywood, appo pesdalam:-)

Market economics dhaan unmai. Mithyallaam flopv dhane - still they mke scortes of such movies(with varying qu"ity). Afford panna mudiyudhu.
(Thinking hrd for ranbir kapoor's pseudonym ;-) )

MADDY
4th October 2009, 10:35 PM
(Thinking hrd for ranbir kapoor's pseudonym ;-) )

"run-beer" kapoor-nnu koopiduven, use aagudhaannu paarunga :P

MADDY
5th October 2009, 03:01 PM
big thumbs down for "Wake up Sid" from my frnd......

he is incidentally part of Kashyapar fan club......so Wake up Sid - sure skip.........and rahman was lucky to escape out of Whats your rashee :bow:

P_R
5th October 2009, 03:15 PM
Wake up Sid - promo looked a bit like those parts of Lakshya and DCH which I did not like

Plus I don't want to like Konkona

GM: moonji sariyillai saar

I don't watch Konkona films unless it is unmissable (and that happens to be the case with annoying regularity).

Plum
5th October 2009, 03:20 PM
Baradwajar Ranganar has given a ok types review for WUS. I am getting serious doubts if he is swayed by the maker rather than the content, now a days. Same movie from Farhan Akthar stable would have elicited sky-high praises from him.
What's your Rashee - sounds like Cheran-meets-Vikraman-meets-Ravikrishna, taking the worst aspects of all 3. Ravikrishna-tta irukkaradhu ellAmE worst aspectngareengaLA -adhuvum sari dhaan :-)

Surprise, surprise, he dissed Supriya Pathak-Shah in WUS review, however, he promptly blamed the writer/director for it.

P_R
5th October 2009, 03:26 PM
Kovaarigar Swades lecture 'mbOdhE naan thoongittEn. Pawejaraip paakkura porumai ellam ille.

Plum, adhu Supriya Pathak and Ratna Pathak-Shah. kudumbathula kuzhappaththai uNdaakkaadheenga :lol2:

Why surprise about RP Shah (I assume it is her) ? Actually I have seen her do small roles in some movies. That's all. Mirch masala and JTYJN are in fact the only two I am able to remember now apart from a DD serial: idhar udhar. avunga romba periya aaLA ?

P_R
5th October 2009, 03:30 PM
btw Supriya Pathak has a very talented son you know :lol2:

Plum
5th October 2009, 04:44 PM
-duplicate-error

Plum
5th October 2009, 04:44 PM
btw Supriya Pathak has a very talented son you know :lol2:

PErula conpees. Ranganar has a thingy for Ratna Pathak-Shah. avangallAm irundhA, padathukku fav review guarantee. I confused with Supriya Pathak and expressed surprise that despite her presence, WUS didnt get a great review.

yaaru, Vinay Pathak-A?

AravindMano
5th October 2009, 04:48 PM
yaaru, Vinay Pathak-A?

:shock: Shahid Kapur.

AravindMano
5th October 2009, 04:49 PM
Baradwajar Ranganar has given a ok types review for WUS. I am getting serious doubts if he is swayed by the maker rather than the content, now a days. Same movie from Farhan Akthar stable would have elicited sky-high praises from him.

Appadiya? Uruppadiyaa review ezhudhara aatkaL la avarum oruththar nu ninachene!

MADDY
5th October 2009, 04:51 PM
yaaru, Vinay Pathak-A?

Shahid Kapur is her step-son :lol:

Plum, pathak families -total damage :lol:

AravindMano
5th October 2009, 04:57 PM
yaaru, Vinay Pathak-A?

Am so sorry!! :rotfl3: ore confeesion.

Plum
5th October 2009, 05:47 PM
yaaru, Vinay Pathak-A?

orE conpeespA bollywoodla - yaaru yaarai divorce paNnittu yaarai kalyANam pannikarAngannE puriyaradhillai. modhalla indha culture tamil-la vandhA thaan, multiplex movie culture varumnu nenaikkarEn - inge extra marital affair vechukittadhukku, "I hate Prabhu Deva and Nayantara from today. Wont watch their movies"-nu solravainga dhaan majority.

('talented'-nu PR solrachEvE mild-A doubt AnEn, BSKappor-A dhaan irukkumnu - chozhiyan kudumi summA AdAdhE!

MADDY
6th October 2009, 12:21 PM
Bips portions "unselected" by Maniratnam for Ravan (http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=23&edlabel=TOICH&mydateHid=05-10-2009&pubname=&edname=&articleid=Ar02304&format=&publabel=TOI) :lol2:

MADDY
8th October 2009, 07:36 PM
Tahaan

directed by santhosh sivan - it was kiddish in some places but ok.........in the backdrop of kashmir, the way military occupation affects their normal life was told very subtly - i liked it......the small boy was brilliant i must say........much celebrated rahul bose and anupam kher too couldnt match him :)

//IMO, india should free kashmir and rid everyone of headaches//

P_R
8th October 2009, 07:46 PM
//IMO, india should free kashmir and rid everyone of headaches// There are so many things in life that we would throw away if only weren't afraid someone else may grab it - Oscar Wilde

Of course, Wilde says that in the context of marriage :lol2:

P_R
9th October 2009, 06:13 PM
MADDY, wake up sit paarthaachA ?
All said and done enakku pudikkumnu thONudhu...irundhaalum Joharfactory appidingradhaala silight hesitation.

MADDY
9th October 2009, 06:42 PM
MADDY, wake up sit paarthaachA ?
All said and done enakku pudikkumnu thONudhu...irundhaalum Joharfactory appidingradhaala silight hesitation.

as i told, a friend of mine who introduced me to the world of kashyapar gave it a hands down , so very hesitant to watch it......mostly online watch dhaan........paathuttu solren :D

P_R
9th October 2009, 06:55 PM
unga friend-ku JTYJN pudichadhA is the question to ask. <Plum theetting his kaththi as we speak>

Plum
9th October 2009, 08:06 PM
ada poi paarthuttu vandhuttu beer kapoori-ya naalu vaartha paaratti pEsinA, appo kathiya thItta vasadhiyA irukkum...suvarillaaama sithiram epdi varrum

MADDY
9th October 2009, 08:23 PM
unga friend-ku JTYJN pudichadhA is the question to ask. <Plum theetting his kaththi as we speak>

ofcourse, he liked JTYJN too...... :D

plum, run-beer was the initial choice for prithvirajan role in raavan :lol2:

bingleguy
9th October 2009, 08:41 PM
started seeing Lage Raho Munna Bhai :lol: hilarious treat :)

Plum
9th October 2009, 09:12 PM
Tamizhlaya, maddy? Illai ippo Hindila Vikram pandra role-A?

MADDY
9th October 2009, 10:05 PM
Tamizhlaya, maddy? Illai ippo Hindila Vikram pandra role-A?

i think its the role of ram and it was offered for hindi version.......and u know what - Ranbeer unselected it :lol2:

Plum
10th October 2009, 06:59 PM
Godfather is a classic.I watch it with my nine year old son like a fairy tale

AhA! IppovE thayAr pandrAingappA! EpdiyAvadhu baradwajarukku yashraj banerla saaruk call sheet vangi koduthu kedukkaNum :evil:

Plum
10th October 2009, 08:35 PM
Attack is the best form oefence (http://passionforcinema.com/wanted-young-stars-where-are-they/)

Basically, Ram Charan Teja levelku unga Run Beer, BS Kappoorlaam paNNa mudiyumA? :lol:

MADDY
10th October 2009, 11:40 PM
Godfather is a classic.I watch it with my nine year old son like a fairy taleAhA! IppovE thayAr pandrAingappA! EpdiyAvadhu baradwajarukku yashraj banerla saaruk call sheet vangi koduthu kedukkaNum :evil:

GM to Manorama: aama un pullai, 16 vayasu kanni ponnu, sola kaatula vechhi keduthhutaanga :P

Basically, Ram Charan Teja levelku unga Run Beer, BS Kappoorlaam paNNa mudiyumA?

andha blogger-kku Abhay Deol-nnu oru actor irukkradhe theriyala.........vidunga, avaru SSLC fail dhaane, avaru blog-la sonna aalunga ellam 7-avadhu pass........ 8-)

Plum
10th October 2009, 11:57 PM
But seriously maddy, the 2 kpoors oru maddy levelkavadhu range vishyathula varuvaangalangradhu doubt dhaan. Masala padam ellaam no chance. Indiala without doing masala stuff complete actornu othukka maattom :-)
Nseeruddin shahve apdi panni thaan pooranamaanaar :-)

MADDY
11th October 2009, 12:10 AM
But seriously maddy, the 2 kpoors oru maddy levelkavadhu range vishyathula varuvaangalangradhu doubt dhaan. Masala padam ellaam no chance. Indiala without doing masala stuff complete actornu othukka maattom :-)
Nseeruddin shahve apdi panni thaan pooranamaanaar :-)

yea true...ranbir and sahid will never get such roles........

u mean, Tridev for N.shah ? :lol: and there is one more movie, where he travels in auto from hyderabad to mumbai.....climax scene-la telephone boothla heroine/herova vechhi thookkittu jananga oduvaanga :rotfl:

P_R
11th October 2009, 10:30 AM
Wake up Sid
oru thadavai pAkkalaam.

Johar second half-la kaiya vachurukkAn. orE predictable senti.

Ranbir was not bad - first film of his that I am seeing.
Konkona - not a demanding performance - and she is good.

I hope this is remake proof. Bharathar, Jeevar yArAvadhu attempt paNNA pallu iLikkum.

Iktara is the best part of the film.

Plum
11th October 2009, 10:54 AM
Ofcourse, there is no runbeer equivalent. The one in besnt nagar spewing englimil can never be even a fringe character in tamil - and he is beer's equivalent. And beer is playing himself - bharath is a middle clas guy and jeeva a small-time novaeu riche son. Ivangallaam beer maadhiri nadikka mudiyadhu. Nashtam illa. Beernaala borivli residenta nadikka mudiyadhu forget vidharba farmer or ludhiana clerk.

P_R
11th October 2009, 11:00 AM
inge ellAmE sand smell. adhunaala aappil-pineapple combarison. appidi dhaanE. The perceived acting talent gap is all about the lack of comparable 'portrayed populations'. That is all-A ?

Who is beasant nagar ?

Appu s
11th October 2009, 11:13 AM
Jail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au3Cp2u7q4Y&feature=PlayList&p=C9A4748C16ACFB1D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1) ... trailer looks promising..

Plum
11th October 2009, 11:17 AM
Pinne beer periya actor-A? Ungalukke over-A illa. Idhula adha tamizhla panna mudiyaadhu. Sand smell is not an issue. Bharath can play a middle class guy with those morals, values and confusions very well - that's him. Sid is beer. Beer is sid. Adhukku mela onnum illa avan kitta. Adha oru mtternu idha tamizhla panna mudiyumaanu kekkareeenga paarunga ungala sollanum.

I think idhellaam indhi sombu party. We must unleash a vadakkathi anban on these items :-)

Plum
11th October 2009, 11:19 AM
Btw, answer the ram charan teja blog :-). In all sincerity, someone used to telugu masala can ask that question as sincerely as you are aasking if bharath can do sid :-)

Plum
11th October 2009, 07:59 PM
Abhay deol raises hell because co-star's costumes are fancier - tabloid report.

Kood, kood. Way to go, boy. Ipdiye maindain pannu... Appo dhaan bollywood-a naan edhirpaarkara paadhail kondu poga mudiyum :lol:

MADDY
12th October 2009, 08:45 AM
oh wake up sit okvaa.....kood, kood :D .......karan Johar interference in second halfa :( , PR neenga periya mechanical dhaan :lol: .....Karan Johar :evil: owner na oraama poga vendiyadhu dhaane, ippadi padathha polandhittu pora :evil: ........

my last bolly movie - RHTDM - brought back my memories of college days 8-) .......but now when i look at it, rank bad costumes for maddy - yuck, and he looks very fat in that movie :x .........but as again, the way he carried his dialogues - both indhi and english was great.......RHTDM was much crisper than minnale.........aaris seyaraasu was at his best , i remember this album dominating the music charts for almost 25 weeks in mumbai :D ........diya mirza, comedian ellam etc etc dhaan - but some lines were very funny.......i still find this movie best effort of GM - which is not a good thing :D

Wibha
12th October 2009, 01:13 PM
Jab We Met :lol:

this time with a REAL INDIAN GROUP. that just made the movie 10 times better. :thumbsup:

P_R
12th October 2009, 01:35 PM
owner na oraama poga vendiyadhu dhaane, ippadi padathha polandhittu pora :evil: ........ :lol:

I felt RHTDM felt like a B-movie with the dud support cast. Comedian ellAm 'shabbaa. Dia Mirza was looking very unselected.
I liked the Tamil version better compared what little I have seen of the Hindi version.

"enna nee ippidi saapidare ?" kind of simple :lol: lines did not come out well as well in RHTDM.

P_R
12th October 2009, 06:25 PM
Pinne beer periya actor-A? Ungalukke over-A illa. Natural-A paNradhukku periya actor-A illAma irukkaNumOnnu thONudhu.

Ange Coloba-vukkuLLa mattum dhaan padam edhuppAnunganu solradhu vAsthavam dhaan. To an extent, adhu laanguvEjOda limitation appidinnum yErkanavE argue paNNiyirukkEn (I am not convinced about the argument, I thought some Indhi literate folks will pull me up).

I am trying to make a point about acting across-the-board 'naturalness' in acting. inge konjam kammi.

"What is natural" pOnRa philosophical digressions is what we will get into, which IMO skirt the issue.

Plum
12th October 2009, 06:39 PM
Going in circles-dhaan. We understand each other's point but are also firm on our own one. idhaiyim "meettadha veenai"-la serthuttu poyikitte irukka vendiyadhu dhaan "-)

MADDY
12th October 2009, 08:26 PM
Ange Coloba-vukkuLLa mattum dhaan padam edhuppAnunganu solradhu vAsthavam dhaan

i think i had exactly the reverse complaint on tamil movies - when are they going to make movies abt software techies and coffee day co-biradhars, who also have loads of stories to tell........its not that only vettiyans, rowdies of madurai/north madras have stories to tell.........saroja was a very good example on how u can make entertaining movies with upper middle class guys.....these upper middle class guys are also sons of soil, illaya?? americanisation is just a outlook...........

btw, JTYJN beautifully touches upon this point as well - jai and rothudu are not exactly the colaba guys........when jai doesent carry a mobile, rothudu says the club is too costly for them, and when jai screams at meghna "its a scooter, jispe ek middle class aadmi apna kaam pe jaatha hai" ..........abbas tyrewala-kku oru sela vekkanum beach road-la along with visal, kashyapar sirs 8-)

Plum
12th October 2009, 08:37 PM
oh! avaru middle classungaLA andha padathula? sonnA dhAnga theriyudhu....

MADDY
12th October 2009, 08:45 PM

Plum, why are tamil movie makers not touching upon upper middle class, coffee day guys at all?? do you think they are not tamilians and movies shouldnt be made on them?? do u accept tamil movies are pretty much one-sided in its representation of the society?

Plum
12th October 2009, 08:49 PM
ada yaaru illainA? Adhaan I touched upon the besant nagar point. Prabhu Ram kooda yaaru besant nagar-naaru - yaarumE illa adhaan prachna :-)

Ippo baradwajar rangar oru padam ezhudhi irukkaar - kaadhal 2 kalyaanam - adha paarthuttu nInga, prabhu ramar ellAm karuthu sollunga.

MADDY
12th October 2009, 08:50 PM

also, wat made u think he is colaba guy in the first place?

Plum
12th October 2009, 08:52 PM

also, wat made u think he is colaba guy in the first place?

Friend-ku aarudhal song pAda AR Rahman-ai koopittu compose paNNikarArE - adha vechu dhaan :-)

kidding, ippo leaving for teh day. some other time...

Bala (Karthik)
13th October 2009, 05:35 PM
Parts of Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi - :shock: :shock: WTF! (i mean i knew what to expect but still...)

By the by, heroine (Anusha/Anushka Singh) is a fair-skinned version of a Tamil serial heroine, film side artist called Neelima (she comes in Mozhi)

MADDY
13th October 2009, 05:51 PM
Parts of Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi - :shock: :shock: WTF! (i mean i knew what to expect but still...)

i felt like wat does the director think of audience's IQ?? :x .....i own a original DVD of this movie with me :lol2: ......before 70mm closed in chennai, they gave me this dvd and they never bothered to take it back :lol:

(she comes in Mozhi)

which character? :roll:

P_R
13th October 2009, 06:06 PM
Parts of Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi - :shock: :shock: WTF! (i mean i knew what to expect but still...) naanum oru 15 nimisham paarthEn. atrocious !

kEbil tv poTTadhulErndhu Indhi cinemavin pal iLippugaL konjam therigiradhu. adhaan Plum nammaLai thittturaar

P_R
13th October 2009, 06:06 PM
(she comes in Mozhi)which character? :roll:

Piruthiviyai louu paNNuvaangaLE... one-sideA (I've always wanted to use this expression!)

Bala (Karthik)
13th October 2009, 06:46 PM
Avingale dhaan

:lol: @ "one side-A".. ippo dhaan actual imagery-oda imagine panni pakkaren!

Plum
13th October 2009, 06:48 PM
indhila comedy-nu sollittu neraiya padam varudhu(Dhawan-Govinda, anything starring Rajpal Yadav, Kunal Khemu, some oppukku chappas like Fardeen & Zayed Khan, and the supremely wasted Talpade etc). adhai ellAm ungaLA katti vechu non-stopA paarka vekkaNum :evil:

Bala (Karthik)
13th October 2009, 06:55 PM
Zayed Khan pera sonnale summa BP egurumilla... solladheenga please... Kalai Thaai edhayellam poruthukka vendirukku yosichu paarunga. Reema Sen Vadivel mudiya pudichu suthu suthu nu suthuvaanga nyabagam irukka (Giri).. anda madhiri ivana pannanum :banghead:

P_R
13th October 2009, 07:00 PM
Avingale dhaan

:lol: @ "one side-A".. ippo dhaan actual imagery-oda imagine panni pakkaren!
Chinna vAthiyAr
Deaf idichapuLi Selvaraj as Sethuraman MA flasafy

GM: உன் பொண்ணு செவிடுங்கற விஷயத்த மறைக்க போறேன்
IS: என்னது குறைக்கப்போறீங்களா ?
GM: ஆமாண்டா...உன்னை ஒரு பக்கமா அப்பிடியே குறைக்கப் போறேன் :lol:

As always, there is nothing in the line. It's all the furious exasperation in the delivery

Bala (Karthik)
13th October 2009, 07:04 PM
That's one of my all time favorite Kavundar tracks. "Pursu pursu!"
Adhula konjam vithyasamana Kavundar, actually. That guy who plays the Telungu Vaathiyaar "vintinaanu" "nontinaanu" :rotfl2: avaru pesara style-e super a irukkum, in serials, dramas etc...

Plum
13th October 2009, 08:24 PM
indha talpade unga listla-laam varamaattaana, PR and Maddy?

P_R
13th October 2009, 08:30 PM
Talpade naan adhigam pArthadhillai.
Iqbal - movie was not very engrossing.
I saw him for a few minutes in Dor.
adhukkappuram straight OSO dhaan.
konjam overA yEthi vittuttaaingannu ninaikkirEn.

Plum
13th October 2009, 08:33 PM
seri, I actually liked him - especially in Sajjanpur. Padam konjam mokkaingaradhu vEra vishayam

MADDY
13th October 2009, 08:53 PM
yes, i liked him in iqbal and sajjanpur.......very good prospect........

another thing i hate abt SRK is he used talpade as side kick in OSO and vinay pathak as side kick RNBJ :( .....i think he would use ranvir shorey next :P

Plum
13th October 2009, 08:55 PM
Ranvir shorey ellAM Akshay Kumar-kE side kick :-). (in literal terms, C2Clayum SiKlayum literal-A udhai vaanguvaarunnu nenaikkarEn)

saarug gaan dhaan ennoda bolly nambikkai nakshatram - avaru kooda illaina Gap jaasthi aayidum :-)

Nerd
13th October 2009, 09:02 PM
Talpade, "Dor"-la nadichavan dhaanE. Avan mokkai party aachE.. Havent seen Sajjanpur.

kid-glove
13th October 2009, 09:17 PM
Sajjanpur mokkai padam. But his performance is okay. Nothing extraordinary but good. In general, my thumb-rule to judge acting is to watch out for 4-5 defining moments in the film that actually reveals inner-state of the character (where the actor's own life experiences comes to play). Not many films provide such moments & not many actors are able to execute it properly.

The best actors are the ones capable of manufacturing such moments out of nowhere. Like Mohanlal in Iruvar or Kireedom or Vanaprastham (etc), or Kamal in Kurudhipunal or Guna or Nayakan (etc), or N'shah in Sparsh or Masoom or A Wednesday (etc). Okay, the text on which it is based on, & the direction (to take care of photography, makeup & right up to the editing room) are equally important. But in moments of apparent normalcy, the talented actors are able to bring out nuance and emotion.

Plum
13th October 2009, 10:34 PM
Enga, beeru, bskapoor, talpade rangela pesikittirukkom. Ninga kamal, lal, shah rangekku kondu vareenga. Sila marathi padangalla snatches paarthen - talpade is good. Kappi Kapporgalkkedhiraa kalam erakkanum ivanai

kid-glove
13th October 2009, 10:45 PM
Enga, beeru, bskapoor, talpade rangela pesikittirukkom. Ninga kamal, lal, shah rangekku kondu vareenga. Sila marathi padangalla snatches paarthen - talpade is good. Kappi Kapporgalkkedhiraa kalam erakkanum ivanai
:D

MADDY
14th October 2009, 12:52 PM
my honeymoon with Anurag Kashyap's works comes to end with Gulaal.......i knew it was great writing with gross characters and conflicts/tensions between characters but i felt the killing spree was stretched a bit......screenplay was a bit dragging towards second half, i think Anurag had this problem with DevD as well, but Amit just didnt let the steam out......Kay Kay, Aditya srivastava - superb acting......newcomer ayesha mohan was good too... :D

this film had a unexpected fan (maybe others knew it already) :lol2:

Famous Tamil writer Charu Nivedita review said this film is a best political film ever in Hindi and Document of current political history.

Plum
14th October 2009, 01:11 PM
Kashaypar's girlfriend has co-written his next film-AmAm(Dev D second heroini). indha nepotism enakku pudichirukku...

Appu s
14th October 2009, 01:15 PM
Maddy , Black friday paakalangala? konja maasamave vachittu chumma irukken... :oops:

P_R
14th October 2009, 02:07 PM
Kashaypar's girlfriend has co-written his next film-AmAm(Dev D second heroini). indha nepotism enakku pudichirukku...kashyapar padangaL-la nadikkiravangaLE ezhudhuvaanga.
Abhay Deol is credited with the concept of DevD.I thing Gulaal hero wrote the original story. Ayesha Mohan is the assistant director.

Participatory creativity.
MADDY's liking vs Plummer's disliking.
Heh heh :P

MADDY
14th October 2009, 03:06 PM
Maddy , Black friday paakalangala? konja maasamave vachittu chumma irukken... :oops:

ah sure....its a must watch.......its not dark, if u think so :D

P_R :lol: .....adhu enna maayamo, ennna mandhiramo theriyala, nekku pudikkura aalunga ellam saem blood-ave irukkaanga :lol:

MADDY
17th October 2009, 10:36 PM
wake up sid on a very bad print........very underwhelming........except for arrears scenes, mumbai monsoon connection - i didnt find anything else interesting here.....after finishing the movie, i felt like asking the director "so"? :lol:

P_R
18th October 2009, 11:48 AM
Suffering from boredom and an early hint of indigestion I was channel surfing yesterday and landed on Hum Apke Hain Kaun. And and and.....ended up watching it till Renuka Shahane dies.I liked it in all the right places !

Go and take a action film immediat.

Plum
18th October 2009, 12:33 PM
Andha padathai paarthadhukku, vera chnnella indra - the tiger odindirubdhdu adhuve paarthurukkalaam.

Btw, nEpALi - :lol:
Indha scriptlalAm nadicha bskapoorum palliLikka vEndiyadhu dhaan. Barathan vEra has got sucked into kolly bubble - in a kanden kaadhalai promo our man says: "idhu vandhu vazhakkamana barath padam illai". I look up from my other chore with a warning alert. "Vazhakkama barath padamnA fightu kuthu songnu massy items irukkum. Idhula apdi illa. Subtle-A, suave entrepreneur role panni irukkEn" etc.

Idhungalukkellam vakkalathu vaangaren paarunga enna sollaNum :banghead:

littlemaster1982
18th October 2009, 12:58 PM

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Plum :lol:

equanimus
18th October 2009, 01:27 PM
Watching Chupke Chupke on DD National right now. Bachchan's comic sense 'kku indhap padam oru nalla sAnRu. inimE dhAn entry Agap pORAr. Interested folks, tune in.

Plum
18th October 2009, 02:32 PM
Post-hrishikesh-nu carefull-A adhukku dhaan qualify ppaNNinen equa :-)

Bala (Karthik)
20th October 2009, 05:34 PM
Amidabachan is an underrated actor, namma oora poruthavaraikkum...

Supukke supukke paaka arambichen but couldn't continue (nothing to do with the film but vera edho edanjal vandhuchu..) BTW, adhu romba suthamana Indhi puriyardhu kashtam nu kelvi patten..

Bala (Karthik)
20th October 2009, 05:38 PM

Andha padathai paarthadhukku, vera chnnella indra - the tiger odindirubdhdu adhuve paarthurukkalaam.

Btw, nEpALi - :lol:
Indha scriptlalAm nadicha bskapoorum palliLikka vEndiyadhu dhaan. Barathan vEra has got sucked into kolly bubble - in a kanden kaadhalai promo our man says: "idhu vandhu vazhakkamana barath padam illai". I look up from my other chore with a warning alert. "Vazhakkama barath padamnA fightu kuthu songnu massy items irukkum. Idhula apdi illa. Subtle-A, suave entrepreneur role panni irukkEn" etc.

Idhungalukkellam vakkalathu vaangaren paarunga enna sollaNum :banghead:
Sagid Kapoor ku set anadhu Parathukku set aagala. And SK oda oru light sogam ottitte irukkum, going with the script. Parathu jolly-a pesitrukkaaru, as in "comedy"...

Plum
20th October 2009, 06:47 PM
Saw koodal nagar. nallA thAn paNNi irukkAn, given the scope in the script. Considering pattiyal also, I think kaminey-lAM kediachA nallAvE paNNuvAn. Hmm...

P_R
20th October 2009, 10:24 PM
Saw koodal nagar.appo....idhukku munnAdi paakkaamaiyE karuthu sollirukkeenga :lol2: