Tentative Track List :

1. Barso Re
2. Tere Bina
3. Hairatein, Aashiqui
4. Bolo Guru (the Bappi Lahiri song)
5. Jaage
6. Baazi Laga
7. Maanjha Maanjha or Maan Jaa Maan Jaa

Guru's music is being released at Taj Land Ends bandra on November 5th...still no idea whn the music will come in stores...

nickraman
5th November 2006, 01:56 AM
Funny, I could've sworn that Bappi's song was Yammo Yammo. Wiki says so.

Otherwise, I better get downloading!

Surya
8th November 2006, 05:43 AM
Manirathnam's Guru Audio Launch

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/nov-06-02/06-11-06-mani-rathnam.html

nickraman
9th November 2006, 03:14 AM
From Indiaglitz, rediff and indiafm

-Guru will release the soundtrack between Nov. 15th-18th.

Also, Madras Talkies have pushed back the release date from Dec 22, averting it's clash with Priyadarshan's "Bhagam Bhag." For now, it appears that Guru will release in the end of the year. No date for Guru hasn't been confirmed yet as of now.

Surya
9th November 2006, 03:16 AM
:cry:

I can't wait...It looks like it might have hints of a real life story of Ambani or s'thing. :?

nickraman
9th November 2006, 03:29 AM
From the looks of it, it deals with industrialist struggling for the win, so it MIGHT have shades of Ambani.

Either way, I'm keenly anticipating this flick.

m_23_bayarea
10th November 2006, 06:55 AM
MEGA-BLOCKBUSTER in the making ... That's GURU for ya !!! :P

great
10th November 2006, 06:15 PM
http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2006/nov/06sd1.htm

:D

ssanjinika
12th November 2006, 03:58 AM
Hey can anyone tell me from where I can download telugu movie songs?Im particularly looking for pokiri songs and one song from Godavari

nickraman
12th November 2006, 05:32 AM
Hey can anyone tell me from where I can download telugu movie songs?Im particularly looking for pokiri songs and one song from Godavari

Firstly, wrong thread.

Secondly,Google is your friend.

great
12th November 2006, 02:13 PM

Coolgoose

ssanjinika
13th November 2006, 01:35 AM
Oops!! Wrong thread! Have no idea how it got posted in this thread(Guess my mind must have been somewhere else! :P )

Thanks Balaji! Got pokiri songs from there..didnt get Godavari songs :(

ajithfederer
14th November 2006, 10:24 PM
Guys and Gals.........here u go.......

http://www.behindwoods.com/features/Slideshows/slideshows2/guru-slideshow/guru-4.html

Wibha
15th November 2006, 06:05 AM
:cry:

I can't wait...It looks like it might have hints of a real life story of Ambani or s'thing. :?

:yes: :yes:

nickraman
15th November 2006, 06:23 AM
Rahman's music is very arabic and soothing. Reminds me of Bombay for some reason.

After watching the trailer, it looks like Abhishek goes through the whole "Annamalai" look. Not like anyone close to Rajni but the plot was similiar from paalkaran to hotel ceo. Guru has shades of Annamalai and shades of Iruvar.

I get the feeling that Guru's a inspired remake of Iruvar, but I guess we'll wait and see then.

Oh and Look out for the music in the market by tomorrow or by Friday!

Raghu
15th November 2006, 04:21 PM
R.Madhavan name is mentioned, but a legendary name is missing from the film That is Mithun Chakaraborti :evil:

Raghu
15th November 2006, 04:23 PM
It looks like Abhishek goes through the whole "Annamalai" look. Not like anyone close to Rajni

Of course, in fact no body can come close to SUPERB *

leosimha
15th November 2006, 08:10 PM
[tscii:0542fff805]Will ‘Guru’ do good at the box office?

This is my first attempt in documenting a prediction about how a particular movie will do at the Box Office before its release.

Someone who is in a way associated with Abhishek Bacchan-starring Mani Ratnam’s latest flick ‘Guru’ met me recently. The person’s major concern was, whether the movie will do well at the box office? And this gave me a chance to predict about the performance of a movie, which otherwise I have never done before.

I don’t have Mani Ratnam’s horoscope, but here I have tried to predict the performance of his next movie using his life pattern. He ran a very bad period since the year 2002, where two of his highly proclaimed movies bombed at the box office. Madhavan-Simran starring Kannathil Muttam Ittal, and Ayude Ezhuthu (Yuva in Hindi) were neither appreciated much by people nor by the media.

Moreover he was hospitalized in the same period for mild chest pain, and top of it, he lost his brother GV, who eventually had committed suicide due to high debts. GV was believed to have sponsored most of Mani’s endeavours.

Saturn transited in the month of November 2006, which should surely bring Mani some good news on his career front. The period between November 2006 and January 2007 will be ideal for him to release the movie. And I heard from my sister, that she saw a poster at Satyam Cinema, announcing the release of the movie in the month of December 2006, which astrologically is an awesome period for Mani Ratnam.

I also checked my Tarot Cards to answer the client query about the movie. And the cards that flashed were the Sun, and 9 of Pentacles - based on which it can be astrologically said that that the movie will do really well at the box office, will make high collections, and also will receive international acclaim!

Abhishek Bacchan is already running an awesome time, so his luck should favour the movie too.

Pray God for the movie and also for my predictions and me!

Source - http://www.askenni.com/archives/2006/11/will_guru_do_go.html#more[/tscii:0542fff805]

nickraman
16th November 2006, 02:12 AM
Interesting thought there.

Not that I'm an Astrologist believer or anything like that.

Still, I'm anticipating this movie and I'm too impatient for the Guru music to release God Dammit!

nickraman
17th November 2006, 09:48 AM
ACCURATE TRACK LIST. GURU CD IS NOW OUT WORLDWIDE. SOURCE: Nehaflix.com

Track list:

1. Barso Re Shreya Ghoshal, Keerthi

2. Tere Bina A.R. Rahman, Chinmayee,

3. Ek Lo Ek Muft Bappi Lahiri, Chitra

4. Mayya Maryem Toller, Chinmayee, Keerthi

5. Ey Hairathe Hariharan, Alka Yagnik

6. Baazi Laga Udit Narayan, Madhushree, Swetha, Bhargavee

7. Jaage Hain Chitra, A.R. Rahman, Madras Chorale Group

CD includes 4 bonus tracks from RDB, Meenaxi, Kisna, Lagaan.

Should expect mp3 downloads by coming weekend...

nickraman
18th November 2006, 01:25 AM
BREAKING NEWS

Guru's release date is pushed back to January 12 2007. Meaning that it's a few more weeks till then...

m_23_bayarea
18th November 2006, 02:19 AM
BREAKING NEWS

Guru's release date is pushed back to January 12 2007. Meaning that it's a few more weeks till then...

:cry: :oops: :cry:

nickraman
18th November 2006, 04:31 AM
As a suprise to you all, I have the GURU mp3s. Currently uploading on Megaupload, if you all can sit tight for a few minutes, I'll have it up by then.

It's the least we can do till the film releases. Or song promos release that is.

nickraman
18th November 2006, 04:37 AM
One quick change, do you all mind if I convert them to wma? They're all 320 though. It's just so the upload speed will be FASTER.

Surya
18th November 2006, 04:39 AM
Nick, :D

Please post the MP3's in the ARR section's "Mani Rathnam's Guru" thread. :D It'll be more helpful to hubbers as a lot more Music Fans visit that thread than here. :D

nickraman
18th November 2006, 05:03 AM
Gotcha.

Forgot to add this to postonement of release date: Mani hasn't finished the post-production for the film so that's the reason.

Ironically, Priyan also pushed back Bhagam Bhag for some odd reason. So in the end, no xmas b'wood release.

romio
8th December 2006, 05:06 PM
Hey friends this movie should be superhit... :D

Guru Official Website

http://www.guru-themovie.com

[check Gurutalk]

http://www.guru-thefilm.com

Looks like another Classic from Maniratnam 8-)

Best Wishes to Maniratnam,ARR,Abhishek :D :D :D

and there is other good star cast including Mithun Chakraborthy,Maddy & Aish :)

bingleguy
20th December 2006, 09:59 PM
Guru ........... now becoming the EXPECTED !

:clap:

Is this a true story tat inspired Mani Rathnam ????

Surya
21st December 2006, 04:19 AM
Supposedly the story of Ambani. :D

bingleguy
21st December 2006, 04:34 AM
I believe thats correct !
i too thought so ! :-)

Wibha
21st December 2006, 04:36 AM
yes it is the story of ambani :yes:

bingleguy
21st December 2006, 04:37 AM
Oh appadiyaa ... ok ok ! adhu seri ... then i believe this should be interesting ! but oppose pannuvaangalo ? is the fight between the brothers being shown in this ?

Wibha
21st December 2006, 04:41 AM
i don't no tat :(

hope its' der :D

Sinthiya
24th December 2006, 10:59 AM
'Guru' world premiere to be held in Toronto
By Indo Asian News Service

Mumbai, Dec 21 (IANS) Writer-director Mani Ratnam's much-anticipated 'Guru', starring Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai, will have its world premiere in Toronto on Jan 11.

The film will be screened at the Elgin & Winter Garden Theatre Centre, where most Hollywood films are premiered, with the cast and crew in attendance.

Roger Nair Productions has acquired the Canadian rights of 'Guru' from Bobby Bedi's Kaleidoscope Entertainment. It is touted as a path breaking deal between Canada and India, in the process making Canada an official territory for Bollywood films.

The company has entered the distribution market in a big way for Canada territory and will be buying Bollywood films for North America and Europe as well.

It is also in negotiations with some other top Indian filmmakers for acquiring the rights of their films. The company, which is acquiring absolute theatrical, video and TV rights, will also ensure legal right to curb piracy with the help of local police and the justice system.

It's a win-win situation for everyone involved taking Bollywood to global arena.

http://in.movies.yahoo.com/061221/43/6ah9h.html

:o .... :D ... :P ... 8-) ...:redjump:...:bluejump:...
now i just need someone to hook me up with the organizers... :roll: ...

leosimha
4th January 2007, 05:25 PM
[tscii:62eac1bc86]Maddy plays Gurumurthy?
By Moviebuzz | Thursday, 04 January , 2007, 16:41
Is Maddy playing the role of the controversial investigative journalist S.Gurumurthy in Mani Ratnam’s Guru? Everybody knows that Mani is making a movie on the life and times of Dhirubhai Ambani the legendary business tycoon who made Reliance Industry, a household name.

The media baron, late Ramnath Goenka and his ‘Indian Express’ had done a series of exposes on Ambani and the growth of Reliance through political patronage. At that time, S.Gurumurthy had done most of the writing, exposing the Ambanis.

In Mani’s Guru, Abhishek Bachchan plays Gurukanth Desai (Dhirubhai Ambani), Mithun Chakravarthy plays Manikdas Gupta (Ramnath Goenka) and Madhavan plays Shyam Saxena (S.Gurumurthy) the crusader who works for ‘The Independent’!

In fact, Mani Ratnam had shot Mithun and Maddy’s scenes at the `Indian Express` office in Chennai to give it an authentic look.

The views expressed in the article are the author's and not of Sify.com.
[/tscii:62eac1bc86]

ssanjinika
14th January 2007, 09:08 PM
Caught this movie yesterday. Definitely one of Mani's better efforts in recent times. Abhishek's performance is great and Mitunda stands out as ManikdasGupta. Movie is very interesting but he could have cut the songs out. They stood out like a sore thumb esp in the second half. All in all a good movie to watch.

nickraman
15th January 2007, 05:34 AM
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/jan/14ash.htm

Abhishek, Aishwarya get engaged

Syed Firdaus Ashraf in Mumbai | January 14, 2007 23:44 IST
Last Updated: January 15, 2007 00:38 IST

After days of media speculation, Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai finally got engaged in Mumbai on Sunday.

The engagement ceremony took place at the Bachchans' residence soon after the couple landed from the premiere of their latest film Guru in Toronto and New York.

The event was attended by family members of the Bachchan and the Rais. Bachchans' close family friend Amar Singh also attended the ceremony.

It is believed that Abhishek proposed Aishwarya after the premiere of Guru in New York. The actress accepted the proposal on the spot.

Speaking to rediff.com, Aishwarya's media manager Harii Singh confirmed the couple's engagement. "The news is confirmed. Abhishek and Aishwarya have got engaged," Singh said.

However, he refused to give any further details. "At this moment, I can only say that the news of engagement is true," he said.

The marriage date has not been confirmed but it is believed that only very close relatives will be called for the most-awaited Bollywood marriage of 2007.

Earlier, it had been reported that the marriage will take place on February 19, 2007. But that has not been confirmed as yet.

As the news of the engagement became public, the who's who of Bollywood started pouring in at Amitabh Bachchan's residence 'Jalsa' in Mumbai to congratulate the couple.

Karan Johar and Kirron Kher were the first to reach Bachchan's home followed by industrialist Anil Ambani and his wife Tina.

Abhishek and Aishwarya, also known as Abhiwarya, first acted together in the movie Kuch Na Kaho in 2003, where they developed close friendship. Little is known on when the friendship developed in love but the first signs surfaced after Aishwarya split with her last boyfriend Viviek Oberoi in November 2005.

One of the main reason for the split was Aishwarya never publicly acknowledged that she was dating Viviek Oberoi whereas he was talking about his affair all over the town.

Abhishek was earlier engaged to Bollywood actress Karisma Kapoor. However, the engagement broke off and Karisma married Delhi-based industrialist Sanjay Kapoor in September 2003.

It was in February 2006, when Amitabh Bachchan's brother Ajitabh Bachchan admitted to media that he had gone to Bangalore-based astrologer Chandrashekhar Swamy with the horoscopes of Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan.

The astrologer had admitted that he had checked the horoscopes of the duo and predicted that if 'God willed,' the wedding will happen.

Over the days, the news of Abhiwarya's wedding died down, but the couple was regularly spotted at various events. Neither Aishwarya nor Abhishek ever admitted that they were seeing each other. At the same time, the films that Aishwarya preferred had Abhishek in the lead roles. Umrao Jaan, Dhoom 2 (where she was paired opposite Hrithik) or Guru -- all had Abhishek's presence.

"When I will get married, you all will know," she had told rediff.com in November 2006 at the release time of her film Umrao Jaan. Though the film bombed at the box office, Aishwarya and Abhishek were soon spotted at the Varanasi Sankat Mochan temple on November 27, 2006.

After that incident, the Rais and Bachchans were seen making endless visits to all the holy temples across the country for God's blessings. It seems now that God has finally blessed the couple.

thinkfloyd
15th January 2007, 09:19 AM
Friends,
Guru: Mani Ratnam disappoints :(

A.ANAND
15th January 2007, 04:02 PM
Friends,
Guru: Mani Ratnam disappoints :( i think u better wacth spiderman , james bond007,or mr.bean :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scale
15th January 2007, 07:13 PM
Welcome comeback after the debacle Yuva, A Sure hit! Guru - The Movie (www.scalerevolves.blogspot.com)

thinkfloyd
15th January 2007, 11:25 PM
Friends,
Guru: Mani Ratnam disappoints :( i think u better wacth spiderman , james bond007,or mr.bean :lol: :lol: :lol:
Excuse me but i'm an admirer of Mani Ratnam and like many of his films. Is it wrong to post one's opinion here and especially if one of your favorite director disappoints you? Otherwise its not a discussion forum

thinkfloyd
16th January 2007, 12:50 AM
According to http://www.businessofcinema.com/2007/13jan/box_office.htm, "Mani Ratnam's Guru released this Friday. The opening has been below expectations. The film is expected to do better in Mumbai, the south and overseas."
- This was about the first-day collection. May improve if the word of mouth is good

http://www.mid-day.com/news/city/2007/january/150179.htm says "... an attempt to enliven the dismal box office collections of the latest Aish-Abhishek starrer Guru, which opened to less than 50 per cent collections in its first week."

Surya
23rd January 2007, 07:58 AM
I saw Guru Twice in Chennai. 8-)

Once in Sathyam. 8-)

And just for fun, the tamil dubbed version in Woodlands! :banghead:

Anywayz, it was a good movie. Although it has a few holes, overall the movie is inspiring I thought. I liked it! 8-)

A Few memorable dialouges:

Some Guy: en did u dicide that u don't want the promotion? :o

Guru: When he said that I had to wear the this Tie! :lol2:

Guru: I once dreamt that Shakti Parivar will be the No 1 Company in India. Today it is! Do we Dare Dream Again? Can Shakti Parivar be the NO.1 Company In The World? :clap: :clap: :clap: IMO that's the best scene in the movie!! The MOST INSPIRING! :D

Shakthiprabha.
23rd January 2007, 04:40 PM
Guru is worth the watch.
It was like reading sydney sheldon's novel. Except that lead role is a man in movie :)

Abhishek has gone a step further in hindi movies by proving himself as A GOOD ACTOR.
He steals the show.

YES. Aishwarya rai is THERE TOO, if u know what I mean.

Madhavan's role as shaam saxena, is well done.
Depicted of a man who DOES NOT EXHIBIT HIS EMOTIONS, come what may. Not much food for his talent.

Dialogues (to be precise SCENES) I loved were all UNSPOKEN.

UNSPOKEN words spoken only thro abhishek's EYES.

__

Young guru: Ashiirwad deejiyE baapu

Dad: Bhagwan tujhE sadbudhi dE.

__

Where the brother tells his sister, why his friend married her.

Quite look which abhishek gives, mixed with shame, guilt, love, insult

_

When he dreams big, dreams are mirrored in his eyes, his desire reflected in his move.

Later after his reasonable success, power and ego reflected in his walk, mannerisms.

__

Meine baap ne sapnE dekha.
uSnE hamE sikhaya, "Sab sapnE poorE nahi hote bete"

magar meinE sapna dekha.

aur sapna sacha hua.

GURU-

A FIGHTER!

MADDY
23rd January 2007, 05:24 PM
truly, Guru is about the victory of human abilities over doubts,fear,obstacles..... 8-)

movie is so inspiring......just like dhirubhai's life......i still remember hordes of people who were tearful at Dhirubhai's death in Mumbai......he is the greatest wealth accumulator in the world.... 8-)

movie is not doing bad at all..........infact 6:30 shows for next 2 days are fulll in multiplexes in b'lore....... :D

Nakeeran
23rd January 2007, 05:59 PM
Maddy

Dhirubhai Ambani is an inspiration to millions across the country especially for those who aspire to do big without a penny !
From a very modest beginning to becomming a top notch enterpreneur is a phenomenal achievement

Thanks to ManiR for taking this subject ( which may not be the ideal subject in B /C centres ) . I am damn confident, Guru will do well in metros .

great
23rd January 2007, 09:12 PM
GURU is REALITY.

IF u r in in for digesting reality its good to watch. It u expect any out of the world or cinematic climax u are in for dissapointment.

I found the Guru climax to be cinematic . I havent found any realism in the climax , a person who has been charged of so much allegation would walk away with such a simple talk that abhishek gives at the end.

sorry to disgress here.......actually many of the cases against Dhirubhai were sent to the dustbins.....only 2-3 cases stood ground and he paid a meagre 60 lakhs-70 lakhs as the fine..... :shock: ........u dont know hoe intelligent these maarwadis are when it comes to business.... 8-)

I know the outcome of the case would be in favour of Dhirubhai. WHy are going for Dhirubhai you can take Laloo prasad case also . I really dont mind the outcome and I am ok with the positive climax but the justification given by Abhishek is not that effective . He would start talking about Gandhi blah blah then he would stay I am illitrate/villager and I am ignorant about excercise duty , Agreed. Doesnt mean that he would be ignorant all the while . In this movie he would be potrayed as a very sharp guy and his business expansion would be phenomenol . He would talk about raising fund through IPO during the initial part just before his BIL leaves to his native . In the climax he would still maintain I am a villager , I have lost so many things to reach this place even my hand etc etc.

Shakthiprabha.
23rd January 2007, 09:19 PM
I absolutely agree with maddy.

thats how the dealings are.
that tough it is to prove cases against POWER.

that is REALITY

gotta accept it.
MAY BE SAD.
on second thoughts
MAY BE NOT

its just not MAARWARIS

its BUSINESSMEN.

their world, thinking, dealings is different. They move the pawn so beautifully intelligently ki hum...

DEKHTE REH JAYENGE

I could not but remember ANNIYAN here
but as AAM AADHMI all we can do is ONLY REMEMBER ANNIYAN. Nothing more.

3 Things rule the world

POLITICS
POWER/INDUSTRY/BUSINESSMEN
MONEY (actually it dances to the other two's tunes)

__

Great,

What do u expect him to do ?

Stand before lakhs of normal public, before the summon and say, I KNEW EVERYTHING, yet, IT WAS MY NEGLIGENCE that I failed my duty as citizen?

great
23rd January 2007, 09:30 PM
:lol:

public apology keka venam a guy who can think about IPO doesnt know excise duty :lol2: and the commision beleives :pokes: . Madhavan would be litterally after Abhishek to stop his growth and he would publish everything in his paper . I have mentioned that I dont care whether he moves scott free or not its not a matter but the dialogues used in the climax is not that effective .

Designer
23rd January 2007, 09:34 PM
Maddy

Dhirubhai Ambani is an inspiration to millions across the country especially for those who aspire to do big without a penny !
From a very modest beginning to becomming a top notch enterpreneur is a phenomenal achievement

Thanks to ManiR for taking this subject ( which may not be the ideal subject in B /C centres ) . I am damn confident, Guru will do well in metros .

Nakeeran : reg Dhirubhai Ambani, in the early 1990s, a well known Editor of a popular national daily was shunted out of his job, bcos he exposed how Reliance had done some 'thillumullu'. but no action was taken against the Ambanis !

great
23rd January 2007, 09:35 PM
Nakeeran : reg Dhirubhai Ambani, in the early 1990s, a well known Editor of a popular national daily was shunted out of his job, bcos he exposed how Reliance had done some 'thillumullu'. but no action was taken against the Ambanis !

Yeah i guess its Times paper and the character is played by Madhavan

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 09:40 PM

public apology keka venam a guy who can think about IPO doesnt know excise duty :lol2: and the commision beleives :pokes: . Madhavan would be litterally after Abhishek to stop his growth and he would publish everything in his paper . I have mentioned that I dont care whether he moves scott free or not its not a matter but the dialogues used in the climax is not that effective .
I felt exactly the same about the climax. Shankar padam paatha madhiri irundhudhu

Nerd
23rd January 2007, 09:43 PM

public apology keka venam a guy who can think about IPO doesnt know excise duty :lol2:

I thought he said, he did not know these things when he first came to bombay. He would have learnt it later and would have thought wth, who will pay all these. I may be wrong :roll:

Nakeeran
23rd January 2007, 09:56 PM

Digression :

Great & Designer

I think long before, Gurumurthy ( RSS patron & BJP ideologist ) wrote a series of articles in Indian express which were sensational and shocking revelations. However, Dhirubhai could not be blamed for those as most of those were favours he obtained from Govt officials on some important policy files or relates to lenient attitude by Nationalised banks on sanctioning loans or renewing them.

Ultimately Dhirubhai came out of this exposure also ! ( Rajiv Gandhi was the then PM )

great
23rd January 2007, 10:10 PM
I felt exactly the same about the climax. Shankar padam paatha madhiri irundhudhu

:lol: Mani konjam climaxLa concentrate pannirukanum :(

I thought he said, he did not know these things when he first came to bombay. He would have learnt it later and would have thought wth, who will pay all these. I may be wrong :roll:

Guru was not potraiyed as a normal guy. From the start itself Guru was shown as brainy fellow. Anyways Abhishek as Guru was perfect choice and he has utilised the opurtunity well .

Designer
23rd January 2007, 10:19 PM

Digression :

Great & Designer

I think long before, Gurumurthy ( RSS patron & BJP ideologist ) wrote a series of articles in Indian express which were sensational and shocking revelations. However, Dhirubhai could not be blamed for those as most of those were favours he obtained from Govt officials on some important policy files or relates to lenient attitude by Nationalised banks on sanctioning loans or renewing them.

Ultimately Dhirubhai came out of this exposure also ! ( Rajiv Gandhi was the then PM )

Nakeeran : i am referring to the series of artcles written by Arun Shourie, in which he detailed how Reliance had almost literally smuggled a whole factory into the country.

Nakeeran
24th January 2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Designer

Both Arun Shourie and Gurumurthy were asked to investigate the activities of Dhirubhai ostensibly by Ramnath Goenka ( the then editor of Indian express ). At that time, I believe there was a corporate war between Nusli Wadia ( Bombay Dyeing ) and Dhirubhai on who will dominate the textiles / petrochemical business.

Ultimately, Dhirubhai won the corporate war !

Designer
24th January 2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Designer

Both Arun Shourie and Gurumurthy were asked to investigate the activities of Dhirubhai ostensibly by Ramnath Goenka ( the then editor of Indian express ). At that time, I believe there was a corporate war between Nusli Wadia ( Bombay Dyeing ) and Dhirubhai on who will dominate the textiles / petrochemical business.

Ultimately, Dhirubhai won the corporate war !

Nakeeran : I agree, Dhirubhai won the war, but what about the corrupt means & political ropes he pulled to win the battles on the way? Maybe that's what is required to be a successful businessman these days, and 'all is fair in Love & Corporate war' ! :)

Nakeeran
24th January 2007, 10:41 PM
End result counts ( not the ways and means )

This was Dhibubhai's approach and message also !

Back to the movie - I feel that Abishek B fits in well for soft characters but not aggressive ones. Dhirubhai character was one such.

Nerd
24th January 2007, 10:49 PM
Dhiru was not an ethical guy (due respects to him). He has been projected as a SAINT in the movie, which I dont approve of :huh:

MADDY
25th January 2007, 02:15 AM
Nerd, will ethics raise India to a super power??? :roll:

i really felt inspired by the dialogue where he says "is developing nation a crime?"......though it may sound pretty sentimental and hollow statement, in reality, Ambani's shares have made many Gujaratis rich......well, he was one of the factors for Gujarat's tremendous growth...... 8-)

gr8, as i told u, when maarwadis talk it is very funny.......thats wat guru's climax was all about.......they talk nonsense and escape sensibly.... :lol: ......the climax wasnt just nonsense, he made some stunning dialogues like "aapne 5 minute diya aur meine 4:30 minute mein khatam kar diya......30 second munafa" :shock: ...also, the comission doesent let him go scot free just like that, they still go with the cases but its judiciary who has to punish him where he actually escapes.... 8-) ......Mani has very sound concepts on these things , if not about MGR and Srilankan problems.... :wink:

Nayagan
27th January 2007, 08:29 PM
I think you guys watched a different movie than i did. :)
Guru has been shown as a savvy, ruthless buisness man and not as a saint.
Some examples to prove the above:
* he is shown has bribing everyone with nice gifts(remember the scene where Mithun asks the peon to remove the shirt given by Guru)
* He slanders his buisness opponent using friends in the in the media.
* He threatens minister that he will expose the ministers late uncle.
* People call him smuggler, cheater in the share holder meeting.

Again the climax, shows the acumen of Guru. He makes a strong case saying that all he knows is to do buisness. If there are holes in the system, he is not responsible for it. Also, if laws are impractical they need to be re-written.

He is no saint..far from it. Finally, The movie is done from Guru's viewpoint...remember he is shown thinking about his life at the start.

Sinthiya
27th January 2007, 11:34 PM
Nayagan, well said... :)

that's exactly how I felt; it's about GURU, the business man and his ambition and perserverance...he will do whatever it takes to be successful, whether it was morally right or wrong...