PDA

View Full Version : Very Very Veggy

Pages : 1 [2]

ayeshasadique
18th May 2008, 06:01 PM
BROCCOLI AND BABY SPINACH SALAD

broccoli -1 small head, separated into florets and blanched/ microwaved for 2 minutes.
baby spinach - 2 cups
red onion - 1 small, sliced thin
cooked chickpeas - 1 cup
sweet corn kernels - 1/2 cup
toasted almond flakes - 2 tbsp
roasted peanuts - 2 tbsp
thousand island dressing

toss all together and serve.

for dressing mix together:
light mayonnaise - 3 tbsp
ketchup - 1 tbsp
grated onion - 1 tbsp
grated bell pepper - 1 tbsp
grated gherkin - 1 tbsp
lemon juice - 1 no
salt
chilli flakes - 1 tbsp
grated hard boiled egg - 1

Madhu Sree
2nd July 2008, 03:09 PM
RED CHILLY RICE BALLS

WHAT n all needed to prepare for 2 members: :)

rice flour - 1 cup
red chilly powder - 1 tea spoon
Curry leaves - chopped to garnish
Mustard
asafoetida - 1 pinch
salt - to taste

HOW TO MAKE: :roll:

Heat 1/2 cup water, well.

Put the rice flour in the bowl and add the heated water and mix it well, add chilli powder, salt and prepare the dough, leave it for 5 mins. Now prepare small balls of the prepared dough and put all the balls in a bowl, add water in a pan and keep the bowl inside the pan, and close the pan with a lid, leave it to cook for 15 mins. After 15 mins, heat oil in a pan and add mustard, let it splutter, put all the balls and fry for 5 mins, put asafoetida and curry leaves and mix it up. Serve hot with cocunut chutney.

Try this, this is the one which I love a lot, this is perfect south indian veggie....

Anoushka
3rd July 2008, 10:45 PM
Will try out your recpie madhushree :) I think adding grated coconut and redchillies while seasoning will add flavour to it :)

Madhu Sree
4th July 2008, 12:53 PM
Will try out your recpie madhushree :) I think adding grated coconut and redchillies while seasoning will add flavour to it :)

Oh yes, that will also be very gud... i will try it out... thx anoushka :D

Madhu Sree
11th July 2008, 05:29 PM
Herb thogaiyal... :slurp:

Ingredients:

Coriander
Perandai - 3
Caraway leaf (oma ilai)
Vallaarai leaves
Curry leaves
Pudhina
Tomato - 2
Red chilli
Mustard
Asafoetida
Cocunut - 1 cup
Salt

Method:

Add three spoon of oil in a pan and add red chilli, fry for 1 minute and then add, perandai, coriander, oma ilai, vallaarai leaves, curry leaves, pudhina, tomoto, asafoetida fry for 2 mins to remove the raw smell/taste, remove the pan from fire. Transfer the content to a bowl to leave it for 10 mins. Keep the herb mixture aside.

Grind ripped up cocunut, then, add the herb mixture , salt
and grind it nicely. Herb Thogaiyal is 99% ready. Finally, Heat the pan and add little oil and put mustard, let it splutter and mix it with the thogaiyal. We are done now.

Serve with rice and for side dish we can opt 'More Kuzhambu/Kootu'. Good for health and good to eat.

Note: As tomato is added, no need to put tamarind. Instead of cocunut we can also have groundnut, it will add more taste.

Shakthiprabha.
11th July 2008, 05:30 PM
hey wow...cooooooooool!

Shakthiprabha.
11th July 2008, 05:30 PM
madhu ur red rice balls we call it

NEER SEEDAI :)

Madhu Sree
11th July 2008, 05:44 PM
madhu ur red rice balls we call it

NEER SEEDAI :)

we use to call it as kaara urundai, adhai apdiye english le type panniten... hahaha :lol:

kugan98
13th July 2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks Madhu, the herbal tovayal sounds healthy and nice.

Sinthiya
13th July 2008, 09:12 AM
SZECHUAN BEAN CURD

ALEECHA (Ethiopian vegetable stew)

thanks for these recipes...i'm gonna try it out :)...

Madhu Sree
14th July 2008, 03:58 PM
Mixed Veg Rawa Kichadi :slurp:

Ingredients:

Carrot - 1
Cabbage - 1 cup chopped up
Beans - 5
Onion - 2
Tomato - 2
Coriander
Curry leaves
Mustard
Groundnut - 1/2 cup
Chilly Powder
Urad dhal. 1/4 teaspoon
Salt
Sunflower oil
Green chillies - 3
Rawa

Method:

Wash all the vegetables, soak the ground nut in water for 1 min.
Heat the water.

Chop up 1 onion and 1 tomato, then rest of all the vegetables.

Grind 1 onion and 1 tomato and make it as a purie.

Roast required rawa in plain pan, if required, we can also add 1 spoon of oil. Roast just for 1 min and keep it aside.

Add three spoon of oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, let it splutter, now put urad dhal and fry it golden brown. Now add Curry leaves, chopped up chillies, then add onion, tomato and cook for 1 min, then add the other vegatables, ground nut, now, add the onion tomato purie, salt and mix it up, sprinkle little water and close the pan with the lid and let it cook for 2 mins.

Now, remove the lid and add 1 spoon chilly powder.( for spice lovers, they can add a pinch of garam masala, but masala powder is not required) fry the mixture for 2 mins, now add the hot water, see if the mixture is bubbled up, if so, add the rawa slowly, simulataenously mix it well. Dont let it tighten as for kitchadi it should be bit loosened. close the lid for 10 secs and switch off the stove. Now to garnish add coriander and server hot. Side dish can be cocunut chutney.

Shakthiprabha.
14th July 2008, 04:24 PM
wowwww!

Ive never tried cabbage! I should say SOAKING groundnut is a good idea.

Its generally said soaking

"urad, bengalgram" etc for lemon rice is yummy too.

I dont grind tomato/onion.

But ur recipe sounds WOWWWWW. I am gonna try it this week :redjump:

Actually its good u do not add ghee to kichadi. It spoils the taste. 2 more spoons of OIL is better.

Shakthiprabha.
14th July 2008, 04:29 PM
This recipe is from my rajasthani friend

She would call it chawal kichadi (rice kichadi)

_______

RICE KICHADI

1. Pressure Cook 1 paav of rice with half paav of thoor dhaal.

2. Add jeera, finely cut, onions, tomatos, carrots, ginger and 3 spoons ghee along with jeera and pepper while u pressure cook rice and dhaal.

3. after its done, mash well and season it (with ghee) cashew nuts and curry leaves.

4. serve hot with raitha or papad or chips.

(I found its more a food (like sambhar rice) than a tiffin variety. Nevertheless its very balanced as it has dhaal and veg along with staple food)

Variations:

For ppl who observe diet, it can be consumed WITHOUT adding GHEE, or seasoning.

Madhu Sree
14th July 2008, 04:58 PM
wowwww!

Ive never tried cabbage! I should say SOAKING groundnut is a good idea.

Its generally said soaking

"urad, bengalgram" etc for lemon rice is yummy too.

I dont grind tomato/onion.

But ur recipe sounds WOWWWWW. I am gonna try it this week :redjump:

Actually its good u do not add ghee to kichadi. It spoils the taste. 2 more spoons of OIL is better.

Yes, mostly ppl wud add ghee... but i hate adding ghee... and morover am diet conscious :D, Yes for ppl who wud like to have oily stuff, can add 2 more spoon of oil...

Madhu Sree
14th July 2008, 04:59 PM
This recipe is from my rajasthani friend

She would call it chawal kichadi (rice kichadi)

_______

RICE KICHADI

1. Pressure Cook 1 paav of rice with half paav of thoor dhaal.

2. Add jeera, finely cut, onions, tomatos, carrots, ginger and 3 spoons ghee along with jeera and pepper while u pressure cook rice and dhaal.

3. after its done, mash well and season it (with ghee) cashew nuts and curry leaves.

4. serve hot with raitha or papad or chips.

(I found its more a food (like sambhar rice) than a tiffin variety. Nevertheless its very balanced as it has dhaal and veg along with staple food)

Variations:

For ppl who observe diet, it can be consumed WITHOUT adding GHEE, or seasoning.

Yummy, :slurp: as it is mashed, the food will be even more tasty, definetely will try it SP... Sooperb receipe... :D

Madhu Sree
14th July 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks Madhu, the herbal tovayal sounds healthy and nice.

Yes kugan, it is very healthy... :D

Madhu Sree
15th July 2008, 07:16 PM
Chayote(Chow Chow) Skin thogaiyal... :slurp:

Ingredients:

Coriander
Chow Chow - 1
Curry leaves
Red chilli
Mustard
Asafoetida
Cocunut - 1 cup (Ripped up)
Tamarind - 1 pinch
Salt

Method:

Wash chow chow and peel off the skin. Keep the skin aside. Remove the seed from chow chow and cut it nicely and prepare 'Mor kootu'.

Heat the pan and add four spoon of oil. Make sure the oil is hot enough, now add red chilli, curry leaves, fry for 1/2 minute and then add, chow chow skin and fry for 2 mins, add asofoetida and salt, mix it well and leave it for another 1 minute. Remove the pan from fire. Transfer the content to a bowl to leave it for 10 mins. Keep the content aside.

Grind ripped up cocunut, then, add the chow chow mixture, tamarind and grind it nicely. Finally, heat the pan and add little oil and put mustard, let it splutter and mix it with the thovaiyal.

One advantage with this receipe is except the seed the full content of chow chow can be used as thovaiyal and simultaneously 'Mor kootu'. Like this we can prepare for papaya too :wink: .

Wibha
16th July 2008, 03:42 AM
chow chow na mixture or what :?

Sanguine Sridhar
16th July 2008, 11:27 AM

Chow-Cho-na oru vegitable kitta thatta ippadi irrukum :idea: Colour = Light Green! I love that Veg :)

Madhu Sree
16th July 2008, 11:37 AM

Hi wibha, visit "http://www.cookingandme.com/2008/02/chow-chow-sambhar-with-curd-rice.html" for the photo of chow chow...

Wibha
16th July 2008, 11:39 AM

Chow-Cho-na oru vegitable kitta thatta ippadi irrukum :idea: Colour = Light Green! I love that Veg :)

:ty: sridhar anna

one among the vegetables i hate :oops:

Wibha
16th July 2008, 11:40 AM

Hi wibha, visit "http://www.cookingandme.com/2008/02/chow-chow-sambhar-with-curd-rice.html" for the photo of chow chow...

:ty: :ty:

i think we call it seema kathirikkai or seeme badhnekai (kannada) :? if i'm not wrong :roll:

i hate this vegetable :|

Madhu Sree
16th July 2008, 11:41 AM

:ty: :ty:

i think we call it seema kathirikkai or seeme badhnekai (kannada) :? if i'm not wrong :roll:

i hate this vegetable :|

Ya ya apdiyum solli kelvi pattirukiren... ennakkum oru kaalathil adhu pidikaadhu, but my mom made me to like that by doing such varieties... :D

Wibha
16th July 2008, 11:43 AM
i like seeme badhnekai curry ONLY if it is made with coconut and arachuvittufied :? illati saapidamaatean

i think amma uses it in aviyal and saambhar too :cry:

Shakthiprabha.
28th July 2008, 06:26 PM
Murungakkaay poricha kootu

We generally cook, sambhar or vatha kozhambu or aviyal with murungakkai.

My MIL however makes yummy murungakkkay poricha kootu. (she does it with one veg only)

I tried her same recipe with my own lil variation (with combination veg), and IT HAS TURNED OUT REALLY WONDERFUL.

So try it and tell me

Method:

Drumstick 1 or 2
peerkangai 1/2 kg (can try with other varation like ghiya or chow chow)
green gram half pav
dry coconut or fresh coconut 3 spoons
to season : rai, jeera, asafoetida

________

powder to be ground:

Saute dhania, bengal gram, dry red chilly in 1 spoon oil and grind it with coconut

_________

* cook, green gram, drumstick and peerkangai in cooker.

Important: When done, DO NOT MASH IT, as drumstick would become a pulp

* Heat 1 spoon oil in kadai, make rai and jeera splutter, add the cooked dhaal and veg,

* after 3 mins, add lil water to make it of looser consistency and the ground powder (powder to be dry ground)

* add lil fresh coconut (optional) and hing (asafoetida)

* garnish with curry leaves and switch off the stove

* enjoy with rice or roti

Madhu Sree
29th July 2008, 06:22 PM
Murungakkaay poricha kootu :slurp:

Wowwwieeeeeeeeeeee :redjump::redjump::redjump:

My mom use to prepare this.... too gud recipe...

SP akka, :clap:

Shakthiprabha.
29th July 2008, 06:22 PM
try panni parunga :D

Madhu Sree
29th July 2008, 06:24 PM
try panni parunga :D

Sure....... :D

Madhu Sree
24th December 2008, 02:19 PM
Meal maker - mutter masala :slurp:

Ingredients:

Meal maker - 20 pieces (approx. 100 gms...)
Water
Big Onion- 3
Tomato - 2
Garlic - 10 pips
Ginger - 1 piece (a rubber size)
Chilli powder
Masala - 1 pinch
Salt to taste
Sunflower oil
Peas - 2 spoon
Curry leaves
coriander
Ground cocunut and chickpeas/chutney dal
or chickpeas powder (To make a thick mixture)

Method:

Add water in a pan, heat it well. Now, remove the pan from fire, add little salt, stir it well and add meal maker, close it with a lid. Keep it aside and leave it for 5 mins.

Chop the onions, fine chop ginger.

Add fine chopped ginger and 5 pips of garlic in mixer and grind it well. Keep it aside.

Now wash the tomatoes, add tomatoes in mixer, grind it and make a puree. Keep it aside.

Heat a pan, add 5 spoon of oil, add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
now put the ginger garlic paste and fry it well till the raw smell is out from the mixture. Now add chopped onions fry it till golden brown, now add the remaining 5 pips of garlic, mutter, chilly powder, salt, mix it well. Add the tomato puree and cook for 1 min.

Take the other pan which contains the meal maker, remove the lid
and juz check whether it is enlarged well. Squeeze the meal maker and put it in mixer grinder. Partly grind it and add it to the mixture in the pan. Now, add juz 1 pinch of masala and mix it well, spice lovers can have 1 more pinch. To make a thick mixture, we should add a mixture of ground cocunut and chick peas with little water or chickpeas powder itself with little water, mix it well and cook for juz 1 - 2 mins. Remove from fire and garnish with curry leaves/coriander.

Meal maker - mutter masala is ready. It tastes juz like vadacurry :). Preparation time would be between 20 - 25 mins.

Best to have with idly/roti, or any fried rice/pulao. :slurp:

Madhu Sree
24th December 2008, 03:53 PM
If anyone is not able to prepare home made masala. U can very well buy biriyaani masala from the shops and u can use it with this receipe. :)

Shakthiprabha.
24th December 2008, 04:30 PM
What is meal maker :oops:

Madhu Sree
24th December 2008, 04:44 PM
oops its Soya nuggets... which we use in fried rice, biriyani... :|

http://www.bikudo.com/photo_stock/246544.jpg

if u add that in hot water, it will be enlarged and after that it will be like sponge... if u add that in any gravy, it will absorb the liquid and then it would turn out to be juicy :slurp:

Selviem
25th December 2008, 08:31 AM
hi,
soya is very good for health. u can also make mixed veg curry with soya chunks, with that u can even add 1 handful of boiled channa. this will very well go with chapathi.if anybody want the receipe i can post it.

dev
25th December 2008, 07:32 PM
SP, in Murungakkaay poricha kootu recipe do we use whole green moong or the split moong(yellow one)?

Madhu Sree
6th January 2009, 04:14 PM
Gobi-Mutter-Paneer Masala: :slurp:

Ingredients:

Cauliflower - 10 pieces...
1 pinch turmeric powder
Water
Big Onion- 3
Tomato - 2
Garlic - 6 pips
Ginger - 1 piece
Chilli powder
Masala - 1 pinch
Salt to taste
Sunflower oil
Peas - 2 spoon
Curry leaves
coriander
jeera - 1 spoon
Ground cocunut + chutney dal
paneer - 15 small cubes

Method:

Add water in a pan, add little salt, stir it well and put cauliflower with little turmeric powder..., close it with a lid. Keep it on fire for 5 mins. Remove from fire if it is cooked.

Heat pan, add 1 spoon of oil and fry paneer for juz 5 secs and keep it aside...

Chop the onions, fine chop ginger.

Add fine chopped ginger and garlic in mixer and grind it well. Keep it aside.

Now wash the tomatoes, add tomatoes in mixer, grind it and make a puree. Keep it aside.

Heat a pan, add 6 spoon of oil, add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
Now add chopped onions saute till golden brown, now put the ginger garlic paste and fry it well till the raw smell is out from the mixture. Then, add mutter, put the cooked cauliflower, add the tomato puree, now add 2 pinch of masala, chilly powder, salt, mix it well cook for 10 mins.

Now add fried paneer and mix it well...

To make a thick mixture, we should add a mixture of ground cocunut + chick peas(Chutney dal) + jeera with little water mix it well and cook for juz 2 mins. Remove from fire and garnish with curry leaves/coriander.

The entire preparation time would take about 20 - 25 mins.

Best to have with Roti/Naan.

Madhu Sree
12th January 2009, 03:53 PM
Banana appam :slurp:

Ingredients:

2 Bananas
1 tennis ball size jaggery
wheat flour - 2 cups
rice flour - 1 spoon
Water
Oil

Method:

In a bowl, smash well the bananas, add the jaggery and mix it well.

Now put wheat flour and rice flour, add water and make a thick batter/paste (just like idly maavu).

Heat a pan, add oil, pour 1 spoon of the mixture in the oil. Turn the appam, and fry till golden brown.
Take it out from the pan.

Now taste it with little butter :slurp:

We can make ordinary appam, but if u add banana, it will be even more
tastier, soft n yummy :)

Preparation time: 10 mins for 5 appams

Madhu Sree
22nd January 2009, 03:27 PM
[tscii:49cf0e4bd7]Bombay kadappa :slurp:

Ingredients:

Mustard seeds
3 Onions
2 tomatoes
Chickpeas powder - 1 cup
Turmeric powder
Chilli powder
Oil
Salt to taste
Ginger
Water
Coriander leaves.

Method:

Fine chop onions, tomatoes and ginger.

Heat a pan, add oil, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.

Now add ginger, fry for 1 min, then, add onion then fry till golden brown, add tomatoes and fry for 2 mins, add 1 pinch turmeric powder, 1 spoon chilly powder, salt and sauté well.
Reduce the flame, and let it in sim.

Take a bowl and add the chickpeas powder + little salt. Add 3 1/2 cups of water and stir it well.

Now, raise the flame to a medium level, add the chickpeas content in the pan, stir well, later on, the mixture will start to become a semi-thick content, at that time, remove the pan from fire.

Garnish with coriander. Best to have with Roti/Idly.

Preparation time: Juz 10 to 12 mins.

Note: We can have variations, instead of tomatoes, we can add tamarind, and after removing from fire we can add 1 spoon lemon juice... it will be different as well.[/tscii:49cf0e4bd7]

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd January 2009, 04:32 PM

Ingredients:

2 Bananas
wheat flour - 2 cups
rice flour - 1 cup
Water
Oil

Method:

Now put wheat flour and rice flour, add water and make a thick batter/paste (just like idly maavu).

Heat a pan, add oil, pour 1 spoon of the mixture in the oil. Turn the appam, and fry till golden brown.

Hey Madhusree, thanks you so much. Looks like I can make this dish myself, very simple. I will let you know the outcome.

Madhu Sree
24th January 2009, 10:51 AM
Hi sridhar, do try, one correction, due to copy paste, 1 spoon rice flour was changed to 1 cup :oops:, typo :|, so it is 1 spoon rice flour... update panniten... :D

Shakthiprabha.
19th February 2009, 07:00 PM
Vegetable adai

Yummy adai can be made with vegetables to add to the nutrient value for kids.

Apart from onion try these variations too

Saute 1/4 kg cauliflower / cabbage / palak / greens / carrot (would taste sweet) with chillipowder and salt.

Add it with the batter and make crispy adai.

Chutney:

saute corriander leaves, onion, tomato with chillies and grind together to make smooth chutney to go with adai.

Serve hot.

raghavendran
29th March 2010, 03:37 PM

Ingredients:

2 Bananas
wheat flour - 2 cups
rice flour - 1 spoon
Water
Oil

Method:

try pannanum...thx madhu :)