PDA

View Full Version : Help required (on windows, pc, software, etc)

jben1962
30th April 2006, 08:58 PM
Dear friends, I am a Non IT person. My company has given me an used laptop with windows XP professional OS. The old user has resigned and gone. He has put administrative password. Hence whenever I want to install a new software or application,my laptop does not allow me.What to do? I do not know the administrative password. Even I am not able to download and install yahoo messenger and I am in trouble. Can any one please send me a detailed written procedure to over come or erase the administrative password. Mail me to jben1962@gmail.com.
Great thanks to any one who will help me
Regards
Benedict J

villan007
30th April 2006, 10:13 PM
Virtually no chance for changing the pwd ....
If the old user left a password reset disk , that can be used to view the password..... :roll:

If none works then betta get WINXP reinstalled by a techie... :)

rocketboy
30th April 2006, 11:03 PM
Try this method. this method is prescribed by ankit fadia for win 98 . don't know if it will work for win xp.

reboot the system .
press f8 while booting.
it says some boot menu will appear.
select option for booting into DOS.
then go to the windows directory.

C:\ cd windows.

then rename all files with the extension .pwl by typing the following.
C:\windows> ren *.pwl *.xyz
or delete them by typing

C:\windows> del *.pwl *.xyz

Now when the windows password login pops up , you can write anything in the place where the password has got to be typed.

thamizhvaanan
30th April 2006, 11:05 PM
no it isnt possible for XP

thamizhvaanan
30th April 2006, 11:07 PM
as villain said , u need a password reset disk or u can have a dual boot system, install one more copy of XP into another volume. so u can still retain the old files from the earlier installation. just make sure that u dont format the primary partition while reinstalling :)

c4ramesh
30th April 2006, 11:24 PM
Dear friends, I am a Non IT person. My company has given me an used laptop with windows XP professional OS. The old user has resigned and gone. He has put administrative password. Hence whenever I want to install a new software or application,my laptop does not allow me.What to do? I do not know the administrative password. Even I am not able to download and install yahoo messenger and I am in trouble. Can any one please send me a detailed written procedure to over come or erase the administrative password. Mail me to jben1962@gmail.com.
Great thanks to any one who will help me
Regards
Benedict J

I will mail you this info, but I will also put this here so the other forumites can know about it, this is the process:

Instructions on Password Recovery:

Perform the following on any Windows computer with internet access:

Download this (http://www.loginrecovery.com/image.exe) file. (0.2 MB). When prompted click Run, and then click Run again to confirm after the download. (If you are unsure of the programs integrity, virus scan the file first)

Insert a blank floppy disk and click OK.

Remove the disk when it's done.

Perform the following on the computer you want to recover passwords from:

(Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista):

Insert the disk THEN turn the computer on.

Text will flick across the computer screen then the computer should
switch off by itself. (Takes about two minutes)

Remove the disk. (The computer will not have been changed in any way and will work normally again when the disk is removed)

Perform the following on any Windows computer with internet access:

Insert the Disk.

Type A:\UPLOAD.TXT (type this exactly) into the text box labeled select a file at the page
http://www.loginrecovery.com/instructions.html

Provide your email address so you can be contacted when the

passwords have been recovered.

Press Submit.

Within minutes you should receive an email notifying you that the passwords have been processed.Check progress of recovery anytime by selecting the results tab When they have analysed your passwords and confirmed they can be recovered you will be able to opt in to the
PRIORITY SERVICE (http://www.loginrecovery.com/troubleshooting.html) (requires you to pay money) where they provide you with a release code which will display your passwords in about 10 minutes. Otherwise your request will stay as the free service and should be processed in the next 2 working days.

villan007
30th April 2006, 11:37 PM
tamizh , i guess u cant install it within windows without knowing the admin pwd :roll:

wed hav to boot from the cd and install.....

Ramesh , good info :)

jben1962
1st May 2006, 03:45 AM
Ramesh,
But my laptop does not have a floppy drive. What to do. Now give me some solution.

Tamilvanan, as you said if I want to have a dual boot system, but there is only C drive in it. Another volume is not there.What to do. You said I should not partition. How to go about it.

There is no password reset disk left by the old user. The Laptop has only a DVD drive and a card reader with 2 usb ports at the back and there is no floppy drive. Can you please help me or some one.
Regards
Benedict

c4ramesh
1st May 2006, 07:25 AM
[tscii:74ec87281c]
Ramesh,
But my laptop does not have a floppy drive. What to do. Now give me some solution.

well,you still can easily change or wipe out your Administrator password during a Windows XP Repair, but it comes with a catch. You must have your Win Xp CD!. I hope this is helpfull, If not don't panic I am trying to find new ways. Here’s how with a step-by-step description of the initial Repair process included for newbie’s.

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.
[/tscii:74ec87281c]

thamizhvaanan
1st May 2006, 07:27 AM
tamizh , i guess u cant install it within windows without knowing the admin pwd :roll:

wed hav to boot from the cd and install.....

Ramesh , good info :)

yea, booting from CD was wat i intended to mean. Ramesh, good ino :clap: as villain said (now, why the heck do u call urself villain, i have trouble quoting u). I would personally like to try it.

thamizhvaanan
1st May 2006, 07:33 AM
[tscii:49f0775fd2]
Ramesh,

well,you still can easily change or wipe out your Administrator password during a Windows XP Repair, but it comes with a catch. You must have your Win Xp CD!. I hope this is helpfull, If not don't panic I am trying to find new ways. Here’s how with a step-by-step description of the initial Repair process included for newbie’s.

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.
[/tscii:49f0775fd2]

wow!!! that was gr8 ramesh. never heard of this loophole b4. do u need to have the same XP cd with which u installed the OS or any CD will do?

u said to press Shift + F10, if we dont do this, i guess the system would ask for password? so u mean to say we can do account management without using the password?? :clap: :clap: well that wud be gr8, really gr8 indeed :)

c4ramesh
1st May 2006, 07:49 AM
hi jben,
here is another method, a friend mine suggested it. but personally I have not tried this out. So I don't no whether it will work, anyways, give it a try mate:

While you are restarting your machine press the F8 key to get the "Boot Mode" menu. Choose "Safe Mode". Once you get to the Log in screen log in as administrator with no password. This will allow you to reset forgotten local admin/users passwords.

c4ramesh
1st May 2006, 08:06 AM
hi jben,
you could also try this site (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd) they are providing a S/w to reset the password . give it a try!

c4ramesh
1st May 2006, 08:11 AM
]

wow!!! that was gr8 ramesh. never heard of this loophole b4. do u need to have the same XP cd with which u installed the OS or any CD will do?

u said to press Shift + F10, if we dont do this, i guess the system would ask for password? so u mean to say we can do account management without using the password?? :clap: :clap: well that wud be gr8, really gr8 indeed :)

well, I don't know whether any XP cd will do, bcos I tried it out only with the cd that I used to install it. so no idea, I have to try this out!

And yeah! u can manage a accout without password, that indeed cool! :)

villan007
1st May 2006, 08:24 AM
ramesh :clap:

great info... :D

I'd try this today evening :roll: ... 8-)

villan007
1st May 2006, 08:25 AM
hi jben,
here is another method, a friend mine suggested it. but personally I have not tried this out. So I don't no whether it will work, anyways, give it a try mate:

While you are restarting your machine press the F8 key to get the "Boot Mode" menu. Choose "Safe Mode". Once you get to the Log in screen log in as administrator with no password. This will allow you to reset forgotten local admin/users passwords.

If admin has a Password set then it ll surely ask for da password even if we boot in the safe mode ? aint not ? :?

c4ramesh
1st May 2006, 09:01 AM
hi jben,

If admin has a Password set then it ll surely ask for da password even if we boot in the safe mode ? aint not ? :?

well, try it out. I son't know whether it works as I said previously. I too will try this out.. :)

c4ramesh
1st May 2006, 12:41 PM
[tscii:2eae2b689d]

hi jben,

It depends on which Administrator password you mean. If you mean the system Administrator account, then you can't recover it without 3rd party software, and even then, it isn't always successful.

If you mean the account you generally use that has administrative privileges, then you can boot into the system Administrator mode and change the password for your user account. The system administrator account is the one that was set up during the installation. If you have an OEM machine, then more than likely the password is blank.

If you have Home, boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test and before Windows starts. Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it and will have to try again). You'll have an option to log on as Administrator.

If you have Pro, click control/alt/delete twice at the welcome screen to logon.

Tab through the blank password (or just enter as a blank) to see if it works. If not, then you'll either need the password you gave it during the installation or you'll need to reload.

If you get to your desktop, then go to the Control Panel / User Accounts and change the password on your account. If you're not concerned about other people getting on your computer, you can enter a blank password.

Once you have it set up, make sure you make a password reset disk so it doesn’t happen again

I think this must have been of some help. :wink: [/tscii:2eae2b689d]

villan007
1st May 2006, 01:07 PM
cool..... 8-)

villan007
1st May 2006, 02:14 PM
Any tricks like this for linux ?? :wink: .... :lol:

c4ramesh
1st May 2006, 02:35 PM
Any tricks like this for linux ?? :wink: .... :lol:

honestly, I am just a beginner in linux :(, but I think If you want to learn some tricks about Linux try out this Blog (http://synapse.wordpress.com/) :!:

jben1962
1st May 2006, 02:55 PM
Dear Hubber friends,
Thank you for this wonderful help. I am from Trichy,TN living in Bangalore and working in Abudhabi. At present I am in Manchester,UK for a training. The XP CD is there in my office. So when I return to Abudhabi I shall try this out. Since I was not able to install Yahoo messenger to talk to my wife from Manchester, I thought I can get some help to install yahoo messenger. Any how when I return to Abudhabi I shall take the help of the IT supervisor of my company. Meanwhile if there are any interim measures to temporarily install yahoo messenger, please help me.
Cheers. Thanks a lot, Ramesh, Tamizh,Villian for the help.
Regards
Benedict J

terminator
1st May 2006, 04:31 PM
Ramesh great infos :clap: :clap: :clap:

c4ramesh
1st May 2006, 05:01 PM

Well, thanx, guys I am getting overwhelmed. Really!

yeah! its all a learning process... the internet is a source of abundant knowledge... all you need to do is harness it :wink:

terminator
1st May 2006, 05:13 PM

yeah! its all a learning process... the internet is a source of abundant knowledge... all you need to do is harness it :wink:

agreed :notworthy:

mokshani
2nd May 2006, 08:17 AM
Hi guys! I was checking this topic and realised u guys can help me with this. Does any of u know how to change .mia files to wmv or mp3?? I am trying to download .mia files and play it on windows media... but windows media is not recognising the format... Please let me know if possible. Thanx

narayanan
2nd May 2006, 08:30 AM
MIA? What kind of an extension is that :?

A google takes me to this (http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=MIA).

Morover company webpage is hosted in geocities, which doesnt exist :roll: doesnt look like a standard format that would have converters.

mokshani
2nd May 2006, 09:29 PM
yes narayanan, u r right. I wanted to download few audio programs from musicindiaonline.com. When i saved it on my pc, it downloaded with a file extension of .mia. As u said, it doesnt seem like we can convert :roll:. Thanks for the reply anyway...

great
2nd May 2006, 09:32 PM
Yesterday is ashes; tomorrow wood. Only today the fire shines brightly. -- Eskimo Proverb

Kewl one :thumbsup: :notworthy:

great
Yesterday is ashes; tomorrow wood. Only today the fire shines brightly. -- Eskimo Proverb

great

narayanan
2nd May 2006, 09:41 PM
I wanted to download few audio programs from musicindiaonline.com

would'nt total recorder help achieve the same purpose ? although i guess it is recording the online streaming audio itself.

mokshani
2nd May 2006, 09:48 PM
sorry! iam not a computer person... i have no idea what u r talking abt... plzzz.. explain me in other words....

great
2nd May 2006, 09:50 PM
I wanted to download few audio programs from musicindiaonline.com

would'nt total recorder help achieve the same purpose ? although i guess it is recording the online streaming audio itself.

Yupp !!! But the clairity would not be that good .

thamizhvaanan
2nd May 2006, 09:59 PM
i remember one friend suggesting me a software to download audio stream as continuos media. forgot the link. i wud provide that soon .

mokshani
2nd May 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanx!!

kannannn
2nd May 2006, 10:53 PM
yes narayanan, u r right. I wanted to download few audio programs from musicindiaonline.com. When i saved it on my pc, it downloaded with a file extension of .mia. As u said, it doesnt seem like we can convert :roll:. Thanks for the reply anyway...
Try urlsnooper. It works with many online streaming media. You can save the file with the original extension. Just copy the file location and download with any download manager.

thamizhvaanan
7th May 2006, 12:34 PM
http://all-streaming-media.com/record-video-stream/all-streaming-video-recording-software.htm

i guess this link wud help :roll:

Raghu
8th May 2006, 02:36 PM
for IT related queries pls visit 'IT Professionals' topics, in the MISC section of the hub

thanks