PDA

View Full Version : Light Moments in Cooking

NOV
28th March 2006, 10:25 AM
Do share your funny experiences when cooking.
Like the time you added salt instead of sugar .... :)

NOV
28th March 2006, 10:25 AM
Cooking tips for the unprepared man...

http://www.davezilla.com/Manly_Tips/

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 10:29 AM
heehhehehhe

Nice thread NOV .... i can see many will have such experiences !

i happenned put the rice n cooker ... but forgot to light the gas .... ;-) half an hour kku appuram yennada sathamae kaanum nnu paatha .... gas e on pannala .... Romba pasi vera ..... :(

dev
28th March 2006, 10:44 AM
When I got married, for the initial few months, everyday was a funny experience... My husb used to cook well even before marriage & he taught me some basics of cooking... Invariably, everyday I used to mess up something or the other & go to my husb with a paavam face... He then used to make some adjustments & make it edible... the best part is, he used to eat anything I cook, however horrible it tastes,without a frown on his face...;) :oops:

& once had the experience of serving our guests some uncooked potato curry... Since both me & S were cooking, I thought he would have checked if it's cooked & he thought I would've done it... Only after they left did we know that the potatoes were still raw... Later when we tried cooking it, we found that even after cooking for more than 1/2 hr, the potatoes didn't turn soft... Guess it coz of the quality of the potato... My cousins used to tease me for it even today... :oops:

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 11:05 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

NOV
28th March 2006, 02:19 PM
Someone I know wanted to make almond cookies. The recipe called for melted butter but she forgot to do so. Halfway thru she discovered her mistake. Not wanting to waste the entire dough, she decided to melt the butter in the dough by heating the mixing bowl. :banghead:

Only problem was it was a glass bowl which was not meant for high heat! :D

Of course the bowl shattered and the sugary dough was splattered all over the stove. The worst followed.

The sugary dough caught fire from the burner and she almost burned down the kitchen! :lol:

dev
28th March 2006, 02:27 PM
:shock: ...

Shoba
28th March 2006, 04:10 PM
My MIL and I had a funny moment when we mistook white sesame seeds for wheat rava :oops: :. And there we were trying to cook it for god only knows how many hours, first in the huge wok she reserves for big company, and then later in a pressure cooker before my eldset SIL discovered the boo-boo and went ayyoh! ma.... :shock: and then to me 'where the dickens were your eyes and brains :hammer: !!!!'

This, after making wheat rava upma all our cooking lives :banghead: !

Shoba

Alan
28th March 2006, 07:29 PM
When I got married, for the initial few months, everyday was a funny experience... My husb used to cook well even before marriage & he taught me some basics of cooking... Invariably, everyday I used to mess up something or the other & go to my husb with a paavam face... He then used to make some adjustments & make it edible... the best part is, he used to eat anything I cook, however horrible it tastes,without a frown on his face...;) :oops:

& once had the experience of serving our guests some uncooked potato curry... Since both me & S were cooking, I thought he would have checked if it's cooked & he thought I would've done it... Only after they left did we know that the potatoes were still raw... Later when we tried cooking it, we found that even after cooking for more than 1/2 hr, the potatoes didn't turn soft... Guess it coz of the quality of the potato... My cousins used to tease me for it even today... :oops:

You are really lucky to have such a sweetheart hubby, dev!

Alan
28th March 2006, 07:30 PM
Someone I know wanted to make almond cookies. The recipe called for melted butter but she forgot to do so. Halfway thru she discovered her mistake. Not wanting to waste the entire dough, she decided to melt the butter in the dough by heating the mixing bowl. :banghead:

Only problem was it was a glass bowl which was not meant for high heat! :D

Of course the bowl shattered and the sugary dough was splattered all over the stove. The worst followed.

The sugary dough caught fire from the burner and she almost burned down the kitchen! :lol:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Alan
28th March 2006, 07:32 PM
My MIL and I had a funny moment when we mistook white sesame seeds for wheat rava :oops: :. And there we were trying to cook it for god only knows how many hours, first in the huge wok she reserves for big company, and then later in a pressure cooker before my eldset SIL discovered the boo-boo and went ayyoh! ma.... :shock: and then to me 'where the dickens were your eyes and brains :hammer: !!!!'

This, after making wheat rava upma all our cooking lives :banghead: !

Shoba

LOL!!!! :D Instead, it became Til Upma, is it? :D Thankfully it wasn't u alone- ur mil was also responsible!

apujittu
29th March 2006, 12:32 AM
After I got married the very first dish I made for my husband was a disaster...he came from work waiting for a delicious pongal...I served him pongal in form of porridge..with nothing in it ..no salt......still I remember his face....

I love idli I thought I will surprise him again buy making yummy chicken kurma & idli...The kurma turned good...now comes the idli part...that was the fiirst time I am making idli after marriage so I got so excited for it was almost 6 months I hadn't eaten idli( I was in Dubai)...I started preparing it...I put the pressure cooker ...and was waiting eagerly with my mouth watering....the steam came from the cooker...immediately I made a 100 meter dash to the cooker and put the weight!!!. After few minutes may be after 1 whistle I removed it eagerly waiting to see my fluffy IDLI ......behold I saw white sticky marble....the batter was almost half done..my kurma & my husband were waiting in the dinning I was :cry: ....

My first experience has really helped me..till today I make wonderful pongal & soft fluffy idli...(provide the batter ferments well here in this cold place)

dev
29th March 2006, 07:05 AM
:lol: @ shoba & apujittu

Sowmya
29th March 2006, 07:10 PM
My very first attempt to make rasam when my mom was away turned out to be a funny experience.She had given me instructions as to how to prepare it and I sincerely followed her instructions step by step :shock: .. the only innovation was... I substituted Thur dhal with cooked channa dhal. :(
Even today I remember my mom's expression when I told her what I did..

Regards
Sowmya :)

Alan
1st April 2006, 01:14 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: OMG!

I've had no major cooking disasters so far! So, I really can't participate actively! :D

Anoushka
6th April 2006, 02:24 PM
I was never allowed to enter the kitchen when I was in school and college. Infact I was never allowed to enter the kitchen as long as I was living with my parents! :)

This happened when my Mom had to go out of town on some urgent work and I was left alone with my Grandma.... I had no choice but cook for her :)

I checked the fridge and found some sEnai kizhangu (Yam)... how difficult could it be to cook that (atleast that was what I thought then)! Did all I had to do like wash, chop and stuck it on the stove and wandered off to make a call!

Half way through the call, I told my cousin how I was cooking and she asked me if I had the stove on.. I said "Yes"... she asked me to go and check it as she thought I was on the phone for too long and I could have burnt the stuff!

I went back to the kitchen, realised that I had burnt the kizhangu and didn't know what to do, so added some water to it, turned it around, added a slice of bread and cooked for some more time!

My grand ma thought it was really nice :) She didn't realise that the special taste was because I had burnt it! I told my Mom what I did and she couldn't stop laughing! :lol:

dev
6th April 2006, 04:54 PM
:lol: @anou

ayeshasadique
6th April 2006, 05:56 PM
this happened when i had gone home for my first delivery!!
i had a spliiting head ache , and i asked my mom to make some tea......i didnt get my tea after even 10 minutes and went to see wat was the problem.....i saw my mom patiently waiting and watching the water boil with MUSTARD SEEDS (NO KIDDING) and complaining "pudusa vangina tea ilai sari illai" :rotfl:

ayeshasadique
6th April 2006, 06:02 PM
i had placed quite a number of powders all in one shelf.....without labelling
:roll: i now sincerely label them all....coz one day i mixed myself a COOKING SODA drink instead of glucose :banghead:

Anoushka
6th April 2006, 08:01 PM
Ayesha :lol: I still remember telling my uncle and Dad that there was no kadalai paruppu at home because I could not recognise kadalai paruppu... this was another time when Mom was out of town and my dad and uncle had taken over the kitchen :D

ayeshasadique
6th April 2006, 08:37 PM
talking of kadalai paruppu......when i came here to abu dhabi i was only a month old bride... and i had asked my hubby to buy toor dal for sambar...he came back with kadalai paruppu and when i told him it was not toor.....he very smartly told me that it was the toor dal of this country :lol: ......its 8 years now and he still brings me chana dal if by accident i ask him to get toor :lol:

ayeshasadique
6th April 2006, 08:39 PM
and every time i write coriander leaves in the list...guess what i get?

Anoushka
7th April 2006, 04:57 PM
Ayesha :) I guess you get parsley...

ayeshasadique
7th April 2006, 10:16 PM
exactly....may be thats what all hubbies do :lol:

kavithasenthil
8th April 2006, 06:07 AM
really funny guys. Had good time laughing..

RedPepper
9th April 2006, 02:36 AM
Ayesha :) I guess you get parsley...

I used to get parsley for coriander leaves too, but I think now he has learned from experience.

I have once got arugula leaves for spinach!!

I am still laughing out loud reading everybody's stories. :lol:

Anoushka
10th April 2006, 06:09 PM
It is my friend's husband who actually gets Parsley for corriander :) my hubby dear is much better than me when it comes to all this!

Another experience of mine... A few months after I had joined my first job, I had just come back from a holiday and saw this new guy in at work who made a remark about me in Malayalam to another colleague without knowing I understood the language!

We got talking after that and he said something and I don't know what made me say it but I said that I was a good cook :) (as I said earlier I had rarely entered the kitchen before that)...

A week later, I was lazing around in the (working women's) hostel when I was told that I had a visitor.. to my horror it was this guy who had come to pick me up and take me to his home so that I could cook for his friend and himself :lol:

At this stage, my pride would not let me tell the truth so I took it as a challenge and went with him...

He had bought some chicken and had the basic minimum in his house...

I made rice and thick chicken curry and served with some yoghurt....

Thankfully the chicken came out nice so everything was finished in no time!

Now, this didn't stop here, he went and told about this to another friend's family who wanted me to cook for them :) In the end had to tell them that I wasn't used to cooking for more than three people (they were five people in the family) and escape :rotfl: .. till date this guy beleives I am a great cook!

rks
28th April 2006, 07:25 PM
I had an incident when I was into my first month after marriage, my husband invited his ex-schoolmate friend to our house and we insisted on him having a quick meal.
Not familiar with many dishes, I made him 2 chapatis, but I wasnt familiar with chapatis either. They came out like frisbees (as stiff) and the poor guy ate it, not uttering a word about the taste. After he left, my husband tasted the last extra chapati I had left and couldnt believe how it tasted...he still teases me after 11 years about the incident. Needless to say, the friend hasnt visited us since.!

dsath
29th April 2006, 04:37 AM
All about curd.
The first time after marraige we moved to a new apartment, we did the traditional boiling milk thing. Since there were only 3 of us we had left over milk .Forgetting that i had added sugar to the milk, used the same milk for making curd. The next day we got a sweet curd and the best part is i didn't know abt it, till we had the curd rice. During lunch we had a good laugh.
Still my friends tease me saying i can make lassi when asked to make curd.

Alan
1st May 2006, 07:38 PM
It is my friend's husband who actually gets Parsley for corriander :) my hubby dear is much better than me when it comes to all this!

Another experience of mine... A few months after I had joined my first job, I had just come back from a holiday and saw this new guy in at work who made a remark about me in Malayalam to another colleague without knowing I understood the language!

We got talking after that and he said something and I don't know what made me say it but I said that I was a good cook :) (as I said earlier I had rarely entered the kitchen before that)...

A week later, I was lazing around in the (working women's) hostel when I was told that I had a visitor.. to my horror it was this guy who had come to pick me up and take me to his home so that I could cook for his friend and himself :lol:

At this stage, my pride would not let me tell the truth so I took it as a challenge and went with him...

He had bought some chicken and had the basic minimum in his house...

I made rice and thick chicken curry and served with some yoghurt....

Thankfully the chicken came out nice so everything was finished in no time!

Now, this didn't stop here, he went and told about this to another friend's family who wanted me to cook for them :) In the end had to tell them that I wasn't used to cooking for more than three people (they were five people in the family) and escape :rotfl: .. till date this guy beleives I am a great cook!

OMG!!!!! Anoushka- this really sounds like a hilarious scene from a movie- lol! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
1st May 2006, 07:39 PM
I had an incident when I was into my first month after marriage, my husband invited his ex-schoolmate friend to our house and we insisted on him having a quick meal.
Not familiar with many dishes, I made him 2 chapatis, but I wasnt familiar with chapatis either. They came out like frisbees (as stiff) and the poor guy ate it, not uttering a word about the taste. After he left, my husband tasted the last extra chapati I had left and couldnt believe how it tasted...he still teases me after 11 years about the incident. Needless to say, the friend hasnt visited us since.!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anoushka
2nd May 2006, 07:17 PM
Alan: :lol: it does, doesn't it? I still think I will tell the truth to this guy one day and watch his reaction! :lol:

Alan
2nd May 2006, 11:05 PM
Oh he is still ur colleague? In Ireland? Oh I see! :D I bet he's not going to believe you!

narayanan
2nd May 2006, 11:29 PM
During the early days of coooking, we did'nt have microwave or rice cooker at home. So anniku pressure cooker'la vechom. 25-30 minutes aachu endha whiste sound'ayum kaanum. appuram dhaan therinjudhu thanniye oothalenu :( the cooker came out in tremendous shape. andha cooker copper plating keezha irundha metal urugi vizhara alavukku heat pannirukkom 8-)

My mother was asking, adhellam avlo seekram urugadhe da'nu. what to do naanga avlo theramaya irundhirukkom'nu perumai adichukitten ;)

Till today thats one of the unforgettable adventures in the kitchen.

Anoushka
9th May 2006, 04:46 PM
Oh he is still ur colleague? In Ireland? Oh I see! :D I bet he's not going to believe you! No Alan, he is not my collegue in Ireland but I am in touch with him regularly, and he still talks about how good my cooking is :lol:

Alan
11th May 2006, 10:03 PM
:lol: