PDA

View Full Version : cookware and utensils

Kz
4th February 2006, 01:14 AM
What kind of pots and pans do u all use and which brand do u like the best. Any one using cast iron pans? I am trying to replace some of my non stick skillets with iron pans. Has anyone tried hard anodised calphalon brand? Are they worth putting in so much $ into it?

Thanks
Kz

kavikuil
4th February 2006, 09:22 PM
I'm moving away from nonstick pans due to their carcinogenic nature.

I use high grade stainless steel utensils and cast iron pans that I bought from Amazon.com. The cast iron pans and griddle were made by Lodge, a good company. You can season these pans easily or even buy pre-seasoned ones. I'me very happy with my cast iron cookware.

You can make excellent podis/masalas using these pans and the flavor is just awesome. Kadai chicken or chicken varuval comes out great, so does chicken curry. I even got a tiny cast iron pan for doing tadka/thalippu and it's wonderful. Washing these are very easy - just use hotwater and a stiff brush.

PulikulambusRasams are the only dishes I dont make, using the cast iron pans. Anything that uses tamarind doesnt go into my cast iron pans.

The other utensil I use is a stainless steel pressure cooker.

kavikuil
4th February 2006, 09:23 PM
also wantd to say, cast iron pans are naturally nonstick, but it takes some time to achieve this non stick nature. Until then you are better off using little oil everytime.

Kz
5th February 2006, 11:12 AM
Thankyou Kavikuil. How heavy are they?
I tried to order in amazon.com but they were out of stock. takes 2 or 3 months i guess. I haven't seen the lodge cast iron pans in stores. Have u tried lodge dutch oven? I got to replace my nonstick pan which i use for chapathi too.
Yes pressure cooker is a must. I saw some iron kadai too in chinese markets but donno how good they are. what do use to make kolambu and rasams?

Thankyou.
Kz

dev
5th February 2006, 11:35 AM
yeah, stainless steel & cast iron utensils are the best & safest for cooking... Good cast iron utensils will last a lifetime & they are very easy to clean as well... The only concern is the weight...

RedPepper
5th February 2006, 07:29 PM
[tscii:6dba22c48c]Another cast iron and stainless steel lover here!
I have 4 cast iron skillets of various sizes, one tava, and one wok. All my cast iron cookwares are very well seasoned except one skillet which needs some more seasoning. I am working on it.
The weight of cast iron pans has never bothered me. I wash them as soon as I finish cooking while it is still warm. I use a plastic scrubber with warm water to clean the surface. I don’t use soap, but if I have to use soap I will give a quick clean with mild soap. Soap will spoil the seasoning so you may need to season the pan again. Deep frying something is one way to re-season them. Also after you wash a cast iron pan, wipe it dry with a cloth or paper towel otherwise they will rust.
Taking care of cast iron seems to be a tedious job, but once when you get the hang of it its all very easy.
All my other pots and pans are stainless steel with a heavy bottom. By big stainless steel frying pan is heavier than my cast iron pans!! because it has a very heavy bottom.
You can cook rasam in stainless steel. But when you cook something that has tomato, tamarind etc. in it, transfer it to a glass storage container or corningware as soon as you finish cooking.
I got rid of my only one nonstick pan last year. I haven’t used it a lot, but if it hangs there I will have the tendency to use it once in a while. I am happy that I don’t have it anymore.
[/tscii:6dba22c48c]

Kz
6th February 2006, 08:46 PM
Redpepper, Which brand stainless steel pots do u have? I am looking for heavy bottomed one for boiling milk. Which size cast iron skillet do u use often and for what type of cooking? I saw a cast iron wok which looks pretty but for what can i use it other than deep frying? As most of our cooking contains tomato and tamarind in it. I have thrown away one nonstick pan, 2 more to get rid off. I am confused which size cast iron skillet to buy first.

One way to season the iron pan is to rub oil and keep it in the pre heated oven inverted until it gets hot and let it cool in the oven itself. but i guess deep frying is a easy way. other advantage is we can use cast iron pan in oven too to bake chicken or fish.
Visited ur blogspot, it is very nice. I too tried that marble cake and love it.
Kz

dev
6th February 2006, 09:34 PM
Hi Kz,

My mom uses cast iron pan for all her cooking regardless of using tamarind, tomato etc... I don't think it's much of a concern...

Kz
6th February 2006, 10:07 PM
Hmmm, May be i should give it a try, but i dont want to spoil the pan, I have already burnt one pot, my darling hubby scrubbed my non stick pan very cleanly,LOL. and now he says he wont do the dishes huh!
Kz

kavikuil
7th February 2006, 02:48 AM
Thankyou Kavikuil. How heavy are they?
I tried to order in amazon.com but they were out of stock. takes 2 or 3 months i guess. I haven't seen the lodge cast iron pans in stores. Have u tried lodge dutch oven? I got to replace my nonstick pan which i use for chapathi too.
Yes pressure cooker is a must. I saw some iron kadai too in chinese markets but donno how good they are. what do use to make kolambu and rasams?

Thankyou.
Kz

Kz, I have the Lodge 3 Qt size chicken fryer (which comes with the lid), a 10 1/4 " skillet (the lid for the chicken fryer fits this one), a 10 1/4 " griddle and a 6 1/4" inch skillet. I got all of these for a whopping $36.36 (including shipping!) There was a sale going on at the time. And I've never been more happier. Keep looking in Amazon, you'll find these stuff for a great price. The Chicken fryer was basically a 3Qt skillet with a lid.

Yes, I've seen Lodge cookware in the cookware stores in the Malls too. Only the price was hiked up thrice or four times!

I use the smallest skillet for seasoning/thalippu; sometimes to saute ginger garlic before making the paste. The chicken fryer and the 10 1/4" skillet - for making side dishes out of vegetables, poriyals, etc. Carrot poriyal is esp very tasty when made in cast iron pan and it cooks really fast. I also use these pans for deep frying. Chicken curries are delicious. And I've made parathas using the skillet and they came out very nice. Also, The pan doesnt move/shake because of its heavy weight and I find it very comfortable while making murukkus. The 10 1/4" griddle is used for making dosas. And they come really well. Chapathis are made on a iron griddle with wooden handle, I got from North India. I think, it is wrought iron. I'm not sure though. It's a very thin griddle.

I also have a set of stainless steel vessels (3 items, I think made by Mirro 18/10 grade SS). For rasams/kulambus, I use a 2 Qt sauce pan or a 5 Qt stock pot, if I'm making large quantity. Fish curries are made in the 5 Qt. pot. Sometimes I use the pressure cooker bottom to make sambar/rajma curries/etc as well. I also have a 1 Qt sauce pan that came with this set, that I use to make less quantities of rasam or sometimes, to make tea.

These are the only stove top cookware I use. And right now, these 9 items are more than what I need to cook a decent meal. I also have a Futura pressure cooker but I havent felt the need for using it so far. I dont think I will be buying more cookware in the near future because cast iron stuff last lifelong and stainless cookware comes for a long time too.

I usually can't handle heavy stuff, and I too, worried about the heaviness of the cast iron pans. I now see that I can handle these items with ease. But had I ordered a 5 Qt Chicken fryer or a dutch oven, it would have been difficult for me to handle.

Hope this helps.

RedPepper
7th February 2006, 05:03 AM
[tscii:18dd578957]
Redpepper, Which brand stainless steel pots do u have? I am looking for heavy bottomed one for boiling milk. Which size cast iron skillet do u use often and for what type of cooking? I saw a cast iron wok which looks pretty but for what can i use it other than deep frying? As most of our cooking contains tomato and tamarind in it. I have thrown away one nonstick pan, 2 more to get rid off. I am confused which size cast iron skillet to buy first.

One way to season the iron pan is to rub oil and keep it in the pre heated oven inverted until it gets hot and let it cool in the oven itself. but i guess deep frying is a easy way. other advantage is we can use cast iron pan in oven too to bake chicken or fish.
Visited ur blogspot, it is very nice. I too tried that marble cake and love it.
Kz

I have some stainless steel cookware from linens ‘n things – their brand. Also I have a couple of Martha Stewart Everyday brand stainless steel pots and skillets that I bought from K-mart- the big skillet is very heavy. All my pots and pans have thick bottoms. That’s what you should look for when you buy stainless steel pots.
I have 4 cast iron skillets of various sizes and a tawa/griddle – all Lodge brand. (http://www.lodgemfg.com) These are very good. Griswold and Wagner are other famous brands you could consider.
My wok is Bodum brand; I couldn’t find a wok of this kind in any stores so I bought it from Ebay. (http://www.bodum.com/upload/img/K0817_01_a.jpg)
It came with a burner, but I don't use it.
If you are confused of what size skillet you should buy, I suggest that you buy a set of 2 and experiment with it. Cast iron pans are cheap. Other than deep frying, you may also use your wok for stir-frying, shallow frying or poriyals, or make curries. I use mine in the oven as well, especially for making cornbreads.
[/tscii:18dd578957]

Kz
8th February 2006, 01:43 AM
Kavikuil, 36$ including shipping is a steal for all those skillets and pots. Thanks a lot. The griddle looks great for making dosas.

Thankyou Redpepper.

Kz

Sowmya
8th February 2006, 07:59 AM
Hi All
Just thought will get your opinion since the discussion here is revolving around stainless steel pots :)
BTW how effective/safe are copper bottomed stainless steel vessels?I use them and my understanding is
cooking is faster & the heat is retained for a longer time.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Regards
Sowmya :D

Kz
8th February 2006, 08:41 AM
Sowmya, when i heat oil for seasoning it gets heated fast in copper bottom kadai than the nonstick skillet. I have a copper bottom thaalikira karandi which is good. copper bottom stainless steel pots are safe to use. But heat is retained for a longer time in iron pots when kept closed with a lid.
Kz

kavikuil
8th February 2006, 08:31 PM
Sowmya, copper bottom vessels get heated very quickly and the heat is retained for a long time, but make sure you have top quality copper bottoms. There are many low quality stuff available in the market, which have several hotspots in the cooking area. This will lead to uneven heat in the cooking surface and the food will tend to burn in those hotspots.

I had two of those not-so-good-grade copper bottoms, which had to br thrown away.

Like any stainless steel, look for thick and slightly heavy bottom in copper bottom vessels too.

kritica
10th February 2006, 12:29 AM
Hi all,
Wanted to buy a cast iron dosa kal....... could you help me pick one.......... was wondering what is the seasoning all about........can anyone explain about it.....
thanks
kritica

RedPepper
10th February 2006, 02:42 AM
Hi all,
Wanted to buy a cast iron dosa kal....... could you help me pick one.......... was wondering what is the seasoning all about........can anyone explain about it.....
thanks
kritica

If you buy a raw cast iron pan, you need to season it so that you will get a beautiful non-stick surface. The process includes rubbing oil all over the pan and keep in a 300 degree oven for about an hour. But if you can find a pre-seasoned cast iron pan, you can avoid this step. I have one like this:
https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3941

rajshank
10th February 2006, 05:36 AM
Hi guys,

U know what? I always had a cast iron skillet (Lodge) that my husband bought when he was a bachelor. I never used it since it was all rusted when i married him & came in. Wonder what he used it for? :roll:

After reading this post, i realised what i had wasted in the storage. I immediately took it out and washed it in hot soapy water and luckily all the rust came off...i wiped it dry and generously applied oil and put in the oven at 300 for an hour.

I see there are a lot of people who know lots about cast iron...so let me get my questions answered...I am currently using all nonstick pots n pans and even tava. What is the advantage of using Cast iron over nonstick? And i recently bought a 14" Chinese Wok (we love making chinese & Thai food on the Wok) Brand is Pro-weight. It says it is "Traditional Carbon Steel". Now what is this new metal?? How good is using this one?

Hope to get an answer soon...
Rajshank

Pushpa
11th February 2006, 01:51 AM
Has anybody tried the stainless steel vessels from Ikea ?? What is the plus / minus of their range ?

Any other good brand of steel vessels ?

kritica
14th February 2006, 01:54 AM
Hi Redpepper
thanks for the info... i wouldl ike to try ......

Kz
14th February 2006, 03:31 AM
Pushpa, I have used farberware stainless steel saucepans and they are good. Haven't tried any other.
Kz

tastemakers
14th February 2006, 04:52 AM
What vessel do y ' ll use for boiling milk. I want to buy one here can anyone help me

thanks

Priya

kritica
14th February 2006, 08:34 PM
hello all
wondering if boiling milk in ceramic bowl is ok...........( i mean in microwave)
kritica

kavikuil
14th February 2006, 08:40 PM
kritica, you can try the lodge cast iron round griddle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004S9HL/qid=1139929084/sr=8-9/ref=pd_bbs_9/002-5613416-9403212?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507) I have this one and the dosas are very nice, when I use this one. They also have a preseasoned one. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008GKDN/qid=1139929084/sr=8-11/ref=pd_bbs_11/002-5613416-9403212?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507)

Rajshank, I have no clue about the carbon metal one, but nonstick cookware is harmful in many ways. The teflon coating that they use, is carcinogenic (cance)r causing. Just type 'nonstick cookware carcinogenic' in google and it will lead to you good explanations.

Pushpa, I too would like to upgrade my stainless steel set, the one we have now(a mirro set) was bought by my husband for temporary use. I just continued to use it, to give it the usage it deserved. I think we'll be ready for an upgrade soon. I've been doing some research and found these. Posting here so it might be helpful for others.

- Stainless steel cookware should have a heavy base.
- Multiple ply utensils are great, but filthy expensive. All-clad and their cousins (westbend, kitchencraft etc) are wonderful to have, but similar multiple ply stainless steel cookware can be found in Sams club - Look for Member's Mark TriClad cookware at Sam's club. Costco might have a similar brand too.

Priya, you can use any thick bottomed stainless utensil for boiling milk.

shakthi
15th February 2006, 09:29 AM
Hi,

hope someone can help me.

Having some problems with my hawkins pressure cooker (bought from India) - whenever I use it (especially cooking dhal) water seeps out of the lid after the whistle blows. I always make sure the lid is properly closed but no avail. Any tips?

BTW is pressure cookers cast iron type? How many types (if any) are there anyway?

thanks in advance!

dev
15th February 2006, 10:13 AM
What vessel do y ' ll use for boiling milk. I want to buy one here can anyone help me

I guess any stainless steel pan is good enough for boiling milk... Wondering if U guys use a seperate pan for boiling milk???!!!... I just have 3 stainless steel vessels(diff sizes-1 ltr,2 or 2.5 ltr & another around 4 ltr),a cooker, a non-stick pan(very rarely used) & a iron tawa for all my stove-top cooking... I don't use a seperate pan for boiling milk... any vessel that's free in the kitchen is used... Never had any problems like the milk spliting etc... I sometimes heat up the milk in the microwave too... any microwave safe bowl is good...

RedPepper
15th February 2006, 09:02 PM
Any stainless pan with a heavy bottom will do. But Dev, I don't know why, I do keep a separate saucepan for boiling milk. Back in India, my mom uses a milk cooker for boiling milk, in which we don't have to stir the milk while cooking and it whistles when it is ready. If you haven't heard about it, this is what I am talking about: http://www.sakthifoundation.org/fast-kitchen-intro-3.htm (Scroll down the page for the image)

RedPepper
15th February 2006, 09:06 PM
Hi,

hope someone can help me.

Having some problems with my hawkins pressure cooker (bought from India) - whenever I use it (especially cooking dhal) water seeps out of the lid after the whistle blows. I always make sure the lid is properly closed but no avail. Any tips?

BTW is pressure cookers cast iron type? How many types (if any) are there anyway?

thanks in advance!

Shakthi,

I recently bought a pressure cooker from this website: http://www.hotdishes.com/pressure_cooker.htm
I think that page pretty much covers the different types of Indian style pressure cookers available. Hope that helps.

Regarding your problem with water coming out of the cooker while cooking dal, 1) you might be using too much water. 2) your gasket maybe loose. How big is your cooker?

dev
15th February 2006, 09:42 PM
Any stainless pan with a heavy bottom will do. But Dev, I don't know why, I do keep a separate saucepan for boiling milk. Back in India, my mom uses a milk cooker for boiling milk, in which we don't have to stir the milk while cooking and it whistles when it is ready. If you haven't heard about it, this is what I am talking about: http://www.sakthifoundation.org/fast-kitchen-intro-3.htm (Scroll down the page for the image)

My mom too uses the milk cooker. But I didn't want to buy a seperate vessel for boiling milk as I don't like loading my kitchen with much utensils and we rarely live in a place for more than 2 yrs. So, I just buy decent enough cookware that'll last for an yr or 2. If atall we stay for more than 2 yrs, I can always buy a new set...:)

Kz
17th February 2006, 10:17 PM
What do u use to grate/shred carrot and beetroot? The old tye box grater is too tedious and slow.
Kz

dev
17th February 2006, 10:37 PM
What do u use to grate/shred carrot and beetroot? The old tye box grater is too tedious and slow.
Kz

Consider buying a food processor then... 8-)

RedPepper
17th February 2006, 10:45 PM
Kz
If I have to grate a lot of carrots and beets, I will do it in the food processor with the grater attachment. Otherwise I will use a small hand-held grater.

Pushpa
19th February 2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the response Kavikuil ! Am using my stainless steel pathrams & sambadams for over 6 years now ....... high time to replace them looks like !

Any ideas about the airtight boxes which we use to store crisp snacks like murukku / vathal / vadam etc. Presently am using only Pearlpet plastic jars, which i also use for storing dals, flours etc. But I am not happy as doesn't seem all that 'airtight ' !! The 'Clip & Lock' and other similar stuff are rather expensive --- so what is best to use ???? My friend uses steel dabbas and lines the lid with foil ........

Red Pepper, Your blog is very very inspiring --- it also is stirring up our tummies / taste-buds and wanting us to make those delicious looking cakes you've made. Well done, really enjoyed the pictures. Am going to try out some cake this week.

Bye,
Pushpa.

RedPepper
20th February 2006, 03:02 AM
Thank you Pushpa. I will be posting a message for you on the baking thread to avoid topic digression.

kavikuil
20th February 2006, 09:21 PM
shakthi, The water content is more. That's why the water seeps out. I've used Hawkins for more than 5 yrs now and I always have that problem when I add more water than needed. Same problem occurs with prestige cooker too. The problem is with water, not the cooker.

dev, I don't keep a separate utensil for boiling water. I just use any clean, thick bottomed stainless steel vessel, which is free at the moment.

Thanks for the response Kavikuil ! Am using my stainless steel pathrams & sambadams for over 6 years now ....... high time to replace them looks like !

Any ideas about the airtight boxes which we use to store crisp snacks like murukku / vathal / vadam etc. Presently am using only Pearlpet plastic jars, which i also use for storing dals, flours etc. But I am not happy as doesn't seem all that 'airtight ' !! The 'Clip & Lock' and other similar stuff are rather expensive --- so what is best to use ???? My friend uses steel dabbas and lines the lid with foil ........

You are welcome, Pushpa. I, personaly, don't like to use much of plastic, ever since I read about plastic contamination in the foods. When I got married and started a new kitchen, I converted everything into look alike plastic containers. I regret that decision now.

Steel dabbas and glass jars are better options than plastic jars.

I dont use steel because I'd like to keep these jars see-through. What I don't see, I don't use. I've started using glass bottles and canning jars to store food stuff. You can get large mason jars too to store large amounts. Since we will be moving soon, I have to leave my entire colelction of glass jars and start all over again. Almost, all mason jars are airtight. you might want to check them out. buying them online is cheaper than walmart, if you buy in big quantities. HTH!

dev
21st February 2006, 07:43 AM
dev, I don't keep a separate utensil for boiling water. I just use any clean, thick bottomed stainless steel vessel, which is free at the moment.

:roll: :?

I guess U r talking abt boiling milk... if yes, I too do the same...:)

Pushpa
21st February 2006, 09:37 AM
Hi Kavikuil,

What plastic contamintation ?? Can you explain -- does it mean must never use plastic at all.... what about the plastic tumblers, plates, lunch-boxes & water bottles for kids ?? If it is high range, good quality even then it is not good --- we are just storing, right ; so how can any contamination happen ??

Then will melamine be a good alternative for kids esp..as can't give them glass / ceramic plates ??

Would appreciate a detailed reply,
Thanks,
Pushpa.

shakthi
21st February 2006, 01:00 PM
Regarding your problem with water coming out of the cooker while cooking dal, 1) you might be using too much water. 2) your gasket maybe loose. How big is your cooker?

Thanks RedPepper!

So how to know how much is enough water? My cooker is 5 litre

RedPepper
22nd February 2006, 12:56 AM
I will not fill the pressure cooker more than half. I don't pressure cook dal because it always makes a mess. I cook chana, red kidney beans etc. in there though. Hemantji has a better method for cooking dal.

Edit: Here's copy & pasting Hemantji's method:

Method to Cook Dal In Pressure Cooker.

Always cook dal in a seperator container.
Add a little(1/2Tsp of Ghee along with dal and then cover the seperator and cook.
In Indian pressure cookers, Toor daal takes about 4 vehistles and a standing time of 15 to 20 minutes to cook.
Always try to cook Dal and Rice together in two seperators .Put dal at the bottom and Rice on top.
Never cook dal directly in a pressure cooker.
Users of Hawkins pressure cookers tend to overlook this fact.
Never add water more than equal volume of dal.
Moong dal cooks fastest.

kavikuil
22nd February 2006, 01:24 AM

:roll: :?

I guess U r talking abt boiling milk... if yes, I too do the same...:)

:o Oops, sorry, I did mean milk! :D

Hi Kavikuil,

What plastic contamintation ?? Can you explain -- does it mean must never use plastic at all.... what about the plastic tumblers, plates, lunch-boxes & water bottles for kids ?? If it is high range, good quality even then it is not good --- we are just storing, right ; so how can any contamination happen ??

Then will melamine be a good alternative for kids esp..as can't give them glass / ceramic plates ??

Would appreciate a detailed reply,
Thanks,
Pushpa.

Pushpa, I've read articles on plastic bottles and how they are harmful. By contamination, I meant the plastics leaching into food stuff and water.

Read this article. (http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2004/08/02/umbra-bottles/) There's also a link below it, click 'update and clarification'... Read that more details. There are some kinds of plastics which aren't harmful and some are BAD. Mostly, there isn't a way of figuring out which one is good by looking at a plastic bowl or a bottle. So, I avoid it almost all the time.

The plastic bottles that 'bottled water' comes in has to be thrown after 2-3 uses, not more than that. As per 'mangaiyar malar', last year, a child died because she/he had been drinking from the same water bottle for 1.5 yrs. Different water everyday, but same bottle.

Here are some more articles
Plastics and your health (http://www.carriegaska.com/work21.htm)

Smart plastics guide (http://www.environmentalobservatory.org/library.cfm?refid=77083)

Avoid heating in plastics, if you still want to use them, as heating accelerates the leaching of plastics.

Never ever microwave plastic containers.

Avoid Styrofoam plates (styrene/ poly-styrene), cups at all costs. Paper plates are different from plastic plates.

There are good plastics, there are bad ones. There are two sides to every coin. I'd suggest you read through these articles and also look into google and decide on your own.

The pdf file (Smart plastics guide ) tells that tupperware is bad too, for children. You might want to look for the type of plastics that they recommend safe for children.

Thanks to you, Pushpa, I got to learn about child safe plastics. Thanks! :D

shakthi
22nd February 2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks a lot RedPepper!

I will try Hemantji's method the next time I cook dhal

Kz
24th February 2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks Dev and Redpepper for suggesting food processor.
Kz

dev
6th March 2006, 10:09 PM
Some info on cookwares etc...
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=40

kkalidas
14th March 2006, 03:51 PM
On my recent trip to Chennai I acquired a clay pot for making fish curry in. Can somebody give me some advice about how to season the claypot before use.

Kamini

grapes
21st March 2006, 08:12 AM
hi everyone,
i am a new hubber & fine all the posts very int. i would also contribute my views.
i have a stainless steel cuisenart set which i have used 4 a while & now they have a yellowish tint on the outside, does any know how to remove those tints & on removing the marks of overheated oil on the inside.

kavikuil
21st March 2006, 07:06 PM
On my recent trip to Chennai I acquired a clay pot for making fish curry in. Can somebody give me some advice about how to season the claypot before use.
Kamini

Kamini, I have no clue. I've heard that the taste of dishes made in manchatti is very good. Maybe somebody pops in and posts you a response. I do know that Keralite people too, use claypot for fish curries.. You might want to ask some Keralites you know. Maybe they can help.

hi everyone,
i am a new hubber & fine all the posts very int. i would also contribute my views.
i have a stainless steel cuisenart set which i have used 4 a while & now they have a yellowish tint on the outside, does any know how to remove those tints & on removing the marks of overheated oil on the inside.

grapes, This can be removed, yes! Sprinkle baking soda on the dry uensil and then drizzle white vinegar on this.... Do so for all 4 utensils and any other stainless steel pot that you have. Remember not to use any other cleaning agents this time [Mixing household cleaners like chlorox, 409, dishwashing liquid and similar stuff with baking soda and vinegar is not very good. This is DANGEROUS! AND MAY RELEASE HARMFUL GASES]. Use a new scrub if you can (to prevent already existing cleaning agents in the brush)... Scrub these without water and let the baking soda+vinegar combo be smeared on all sides of the utensils. Leave it on for 30-60 mins... Then use the scrub and water to scrub and rinse it off.

This will remove all the sediments and colors etc from stainless stell pots and make them look like new. You can also use this on stainless steel cookers too.

Baking soda and vinegar are natural cleaning agents so they are not bad for health, if you clean and rinse the utensils well.

grapes
22nd March 2006, 06:12 AM
thanks kavikuil,
i will try this out thanks 4 the instant reply can i do this on the inside also coz ive got stains on the inside too & i do not use a metal scrub on these utensils.

kkalidas
22nd March 2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks for your response kavikuil

Kamini

kavikuil
22nd March 2006, 06:22 PM
thanks kavikuil,
i will try this out thanks 4 the instant reply can i do this on the inside also coz ive got stains on the inside too & i do not use a metal scrub on these utensils.

Sure, you can use it on the insides too. I do it all the time. It's even better than the dishwashing liquid.

ShivShanth
23rd March 2006, 12:04 AM
This thread is such an eye opener for me. I have wasted money on T-fal non stick cookware.

Guys can we use cast iron pans as chapathi kal also? I am planning on refurbishing my entire cooking vessels now.

Thanks.

RedPepper
23rd March 2006, 01:51 AM
This thread is such an eye opener for me. I have wasted money on T-fal non stick cookware.

Guys can we use cast iron pans as chapathi kal also? I am planning on refurbishing my entire cooking vessels now.

Thanks.

Yes I use cast iron griddle for chapathi. Better than anything else.

Edited to add link: https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3941

dev
23rd March 2006, 07:20 AM
Hey,

If anyone in US is looking for a cast iron 'paniyaaram kal' , you can find it in Target... Herez the link... I saw this in some blog y'day...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_3/601-1265859-5015352?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000810A3S

RedPepper
23rd March 2006, 08:48 AM
Hey,

If anyone in US is looking for a cast iron 'paniyaaram kal' , you can find it in Target... Herez the link... I saw this in some blog y'day...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_3/601-1265859-5015352?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000810A3S

Thank you Dev.

OMG thats what you call it in English??? :lol:
I have to go look for the history behind that name. Sounds like people from other parts of the world(Scandinavian/Norwegian?) are also using it.

ShivShanth
23rd March 2006, 06:24 PM

Thanks.

Yes I use cast iron griddle for chapathi. Better than anything else.

Edited to add link: https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3941

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Thank you guys for taking time out to help others like me. Greatly appreciate it.

ShivShanth
23rd March 2006, 06:29 PM
[tscii:34b6b3cb12]

Hey,

Thank you Dev.

OMG thats what you call it in English??? :lol:
I have to go look for the history behind that name. Sounds like people from other parts of the world(Scandinavian/Norwegian?) are also using it.

I also wanted to know. Here goes. This is what I found in wikilpedia...

Æbleskiver (Danish) or Poffertjes (Dutch) are traditional cakes, somewhat similar in texture to American pancakes. Æbleskiver are cooked in an Æbleskiver pan, a cast-iron pan with several semi-spherical indentations in the bottom of the pan, giving the cakes their round shape. They are often cooked with bits of apple (Æble) or applesauce inside. Poffertjes are flatter, are not filled, and the pans they are made in have shallow, non-hemispherical depressions. ...

Thank you so much for letting us know about this paniyaram kal available in target. I'll be getting that one too...

Shanthi.[/tscii:34b6b3cb12]

kavikuil
23rd March 2006, 10:05 PM

Thanks.

Ofcourse, you can. That's what North Indians use to make rotis. I think, some use wrought iron too.

Remember to always use a separate griddle for dosa and roti!

ShivShanth
24th March 2006, 12:10 AM

Thanks.

Ofcourse, you can. That's what North Indians use to make rotis. I think, some use wrought iron too.

Remember to always use a separate griddle for dosa and roti!

Ok, Thanks for the input. Did you mean one griddle for just dosa and roti or one for each. If I sound stupid please forgive me. I was wondering because with chapthi we will need more heat than dosa.

rain
24th March 2006, 12:17 AM
Hey,

thanks for the info dev ! someone i know was looking for this and the local indian stores had run out stock.she can try this now

rain

rain
24th March 2006, 12:32 AM
hi kavikuil,

use a separate griddle for dosa and roti!

i have a cast iron griddle(for dosas).but with long use it has caked oil all over it's surface.u can't use detergents, right? and it's not giving way easily to the scrubber.wondering how u maintain these surfaces... u know to clean and prevent from caking

regards,
rain

kavikuil
24th March 2006, 01:37 AM
Did you mean one griddle for just dosa and roti or one for each. If I sound stupid please forgive me. I was wondering because with chapthi we will need more heat than dosa.

No ShivShanth, not a stupid question at all. We need to use one griddle just for dosa and one just for rotis/chapathis.

Because of the different heat requirements, the griddles will season differently. If you use a dosa tava for rotis, the rotis wont come well. similarly, if you use the roti tava for dosas, the dosas will stick to the bottom.

i have a cast iron griddle(for dosas).but with long use it has caked oil all over it's surface.u can't use detergents, right? and it's not giving way easily to the scrubber.wondering how u maintain these surfaces... u know to clean and prevent from caking

Good question! (I've heard that when a person says 'Good question', it only means she/he doesn't have an answer :wink: )

I've heard time and again, not to use detergents and soaps on cast iron dosa pans because the seasoning will go away.

Check out this amazing blog in which the blogger says how to clean the dosa tava. Just use a wet paper towel to wipe the surface clean and store it away. No soap!

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/03/19/traditional-indian-iron-flat-pans-and-skillet-to-cook-chapati-roti-dosa-ponganalu

You say that your tava is caking.. which I assume the seasoning is coming off in layers. This happened once, to my mom's dosa tava, which now has about 30 yrs of usage. I remember her scraping away all the layers using the dosa turner (She had a cast/wrought iron dosa turner too and that helped!). After which, I scrubbed and scrubbed and removed all the layers. Then cleaned it using dish soap and let it dry. She applied a very thin layer of oil after it was dried and left it in the sun for sometime. After that, she put it on stove-top at low heat and put more oil and allowed the oil to smoke. After smoking point, she switched the stove of and let it cool down, right there. Then wiped the oil with a cloth. And, It was seasoned all over again.

This caking off is usually when we use dish washing stuff on the cast iron dosa tava. That's what happened to my mom's tava because the maid cleaned it!!!

dev
24th March 2006, 07:39 AM
Cleaning cast ion griddle- what I do is, after preparing the dosas, I dip a paper towel in a bit of oil & apply it on to the tawa when it is still hot(imme after making the dosas) & just rub off any dosa pieces sticking to the tawa.... The next time I use the tawa, I just hold the tawa under running water for a few secs so that the excess oil applied & any dust that has accumulates goes off...No scrubbing or soap used...

Also, I have used the same tawa for making chapathis a few times... what I did was I applied little oil whenever the tawa became too dry & once I finished making all chapathis, I applied a good coating of oil when the tawa was still hot... The next time I made dosas, I didn't have any problem of dosa sticking to the tawa... But I am not sure if it can be used safely on a regular basis...

ShivShanth
24th March 2006, 05:26 PM
[quote=ShivShanth]Did you mean one griddle for just dosa and roti or one for each. If I sound stupid please forgive me. I was wondering because with chapthi we will need more heat than dosa.

No ShivShanth, not a stupid question at all. We need to use one griddle just for dosa and one just for rotis/chapathis.

Because of the different heat requirements, the griddles will season differently. If you use a dosa tava for rotis, the rotis wont come well. similarly, if you use the roti tava for dosas, the dosas will stick to the bottom.

Hi,
Thank you so much for clarifying my queries. This forum is just great. Even though there is no one nearby to help me, this forum gives me a feeling like I am living in flat in chennai with helpful neighbours nearby.

ShivShanth
24th March 2006, 05:28 PM
I have a suggestion. Can we create a list of essential utensils required in a kitchen? You know, the size and type of the utensils. I am sure it will be very useful for everyone especially me. You guys seem to have a ton load of very useful information gained by your experience.

Thanks,
ShivShanth :D

grapes
26th March 2006, 03:50 AM
thanks a lot kavikuil applying bk soba & vinigar to the stainless steel vessels is a great tip i tried it out bt only thing i did not have baking soda so i used bk pdw instead but it did a great job too thanks a lot.
i was wondering if i could use cast iron skillets to make potato masalas i did it a stainless steel vessel & it turneded out bad will cast iron utensils use little oil?

kavikuil
27th March 2006, 11:18 PM
thanks a lot kavikuil applying bk soba & vinigar to the stainless steel vessels is a great tip i tried it out bt only thing i did not have baking soda so i used bk pdw instead but it did a great job too thanks a lot.

Baking powder would be perfectly fine! :D That's what I use after coming to US. I'm glad it worked for you!

i was wondering if i could use cast iron skillets to make potato masalas i did it a stainless steel vessel & it turneded out bad will cast iron utensils use little oil?

Sure, if you are making dry potato masalas, it turns great when you use cast iron skillet. This is what I do, I chop the potatoes and put them in mcirowave safe container, put 2 tbsp water, cover the potatoes tight with a paper towel and microwave for 4 mins. Then I heat about 1 tbsp oil in the cast iron pan and toss the cooked potatoes in that and stir for 2 mins, till the potatoes are slightly coated with oil. Add the masala powders and salt now and cook in low heat - The potatoes will brown very beautifully and taste good.

Remember to remove them from the cast iron pan as soon as you are done with cooking. Leaving the cooked dish in cast iron pan will change the taste of the dish and it's not good for the cast iron pan either.

rain
28th March 2006, 01:57 AM
thanks dev and kavikul for ur inputs.

i remember making omelettes only once or twice on them and had to scrub them.but it seems now i shud have anyways reseasoned it immediately before using it again.

This caking off is usually when we use dish washing stuff on the cast iron
no soap here,kavikuil.normally i just leave the tava intact after use.
hmm,guess there's some hard work ahead.

rain

RedPepper
28th March 2006, 02:05 AM
Baking powder would be perfectly fine! :D That's what I use after coming to US. I'm glad it worked for you!

Why can't you guys find baking soda here in the US? Its right there in the baking aisle, I buy a big pack of arm & hammers brand since I mainly use it for cleaning purpose. Thats a good stuff.

kavikuil
28th March 2006, 03:15 AM

Why can't you guys find baking soda here in the US? Its right there in the baking aisle, I buy a big pack of arm & hammers brand since I mainly use it for cleaning purpose. Thats a good stuff.

Now that I went and checked mine, it says 'Arm and Hammer Baking Soda'! :lol: I just assumed mine was baking powder after having, used baking powder for a while - both works just fine.

I too, buy it in a huge pack, from sams club and use it for cleaning and also for deodorising the carpet.

grapes
28th March 2006, 06:33 AM
i didnt have bk soda with me so i used bk pdw it worked good. since i do not use bk soda 4 anything i was wondering if urll could tell me 4 what all cleaning purpose i could use bk soda.
thanks kavikuil 4 the info on cast oron i am planning on getting a set 4 myself.

RedPepper
28th March 2006, 07:58 AM
i didnt have bk soda with me so i used bk pdw it worked good. since i do not use bk soda 4 anything i was wondering if urll could tell me 4 what all cleaning purpose i could use bk soda.
thanks kavikuil 4 the info on cast oron i am planning on getting a set 4 myself.

I use baking soda and vinegar for most household cleaning. Since I have a one year old baby, I do not want to use those sprays and powerful cleaners at my home on a daily basis.

Here's some info.
http://housekeeping.about.com/cs/environment/a/alternateclean.htm
http://doityourself.com/clean/vinegar-bakingsoda.htm
http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/tips/a/blbsodavin.htm

& you will find more if you google.

RedPepper
30th March 2006, 01:08 AM
Since we've talked a lot about cast iron here, anyone wanna see my cast iron pans???
Here they are: http://myworksh0p.blogspot.com/2006/03/showing-off-cast-iron.html

Showing off...showing off.... :oops:

kavikuil
30th March 2006, 04:25 AM
Since we've talked a lot about cast iron here, anyone wanna see my cast iron pans???
Here they are: http://myworksh0p.blogspot.com/2006/03/showing-off-cast-iron.html

Showing off...showing off.... :oops:

If you got it, flaunt it, buddy!

Those pans and skillets look super cooooooool! :D

grapes
30th March 2006, 06:40 AM
thanks 4 those links kavikuil they were very useful.

Shoba
30th March 2006, 06:51 PM
Is Corning Cookware oven safe? I have two beautiful sets of these...and now that I'm discovering the joys of baking, I was wondering whether I can use them in the oven.

Anyone...?

Shoba

sujathakannan
30th March 2006, 07:34 PM
Shoba,

Yes, corning cookware are oven safe. I always use them in the oven.

Shoba
30th March 2006, 07:48 PM
Shoba,

Yes, corning cookware are oven safe. I always use them in the oven.

Sujatha,

Mine is the type with pretty floral designs with glass lids. They look too pretty to withstand oven temperatures!

So you're saying I can go ahead, huh?

Shoba

RedPepper
30th March 2006, 08:59 PM
Shobha, I have a french white corningware set that I use in the oven. (http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/4/optimized/72034_fpx.tif?wid=250&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100) The box that my set came in said it can go in oven, microwave, freezer, dishwasher etc. If you have the box, please check it.
I have another french white corningware set (tableware) that includes plates, bowls, cups etc. these are not oven safe.

I am afraid if you can use the one you describe in the oven. Maybe check their website for your product & look for the details?
http://corningware.com/products/default.asp

rain
30th March 2006, 09:26 PM
hi redpepper,

these sets look so nice.r these corningware safe for stovetop use too?i feel bad when small amounts of leftover dal etc have to be heated in the oven.

rain

RedPepper
30th March 2006, 09:40 PM
hi redpepper,

these sets look so nice.r these corningware safe for stovetop use too?i feel bad when small amounts of leftover dal etc have to be heated in the oven.

rain
No. The set I have is not safe on stovetops. But I do use them on the broiler just a couple of minutes to brown something. Corningware had stovetop safe dishes once upon a time. I think they have stopped making these because it cannot be seen anywhere in the shops(You can find it in Ebay). Most models that are available at the shops nowadays are not good on stovetops.

rain
30th March 2006, 09:45 PM
that's a pity.still i'll take a peek on ebay.thanks redpepper!

rain

ShivShanth
12th April 2006, 06:08 AM
Hi,
Thanks to all of your input, I got lodge cast iron griddle - preseasoned. I am using it to make chapathi. Having a bit of a problem. One corner of the chapathi always gets burned and hardened. Something like a hotspot. Should I apply oil to the griddle before putting the chapathi on it everytime? Can someone please help.

Thanks.

tastemakers
13th September 2006, 12:50 AM
Can anyone recommend a american blender that can grind coconut and chutneys into fine paste

sowmeia
14th September 2006, 01:56 AM
Hi tastemakers

I have to tell u this..i recently bought a braun hand blender. this came with 2 extra attachments one for whisking and one for grinding..u wont believe how well the grinding attachment works..its just 25 bucks and u get 3 products in 1!! I thot it was a gr8 deal

tastemakers
18th September 2006, 08:20 AM
thanks sawmeia

can you give me the model number

sowmeia
18th September 2006, 11:02 PM
Here's a link to the product i bought -

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=11433685

I got it at bed, bath and beyond coz I had a 20% off coupon. The item is worth only $25. U shld be able to get it at amazon.com

kitchenmate
21st September 2006, 03:58 AM
Hello,
I am looking for a stainless steel set for sometime now and saw this wolfgang puck 20 piece stainess steel set in BJS for $100, do any one have use it? Any review on this on??

[Hi tastemakers

I have to tell u this..i recently bought a braun hand blender. this came with 2 extra attachments one for whisking and one for grinding..u wont believe how well the grinding attachment works..its just 25 bucks and u get 3 products in 1!! I thot it was a gr8 deal]

Hi, I saw this handblender on sale(???) in Amazon for $24.99 :?: and details looks same too! doesn't really looks like pretty deal:(

--Kitchenmate
[www.kitchenmate.blogspot.com][/url]

sowmeia
21st September 2006, 06:08 AM
Hi Kitchenmate,

I dont think its a bad deal..the product is worth $25..amazon might even offer free shipping..i bought it from bed bath simply coz i wanted to try the product and decide whether or not i wanted to keep it and it is esaier to return when bought from a store.

kitchenmate
25th September 2006, 02:22 AM
Hello Friends,
I need help with seasoning my indolium dosa pan (dosai kal) which my mom bought me last year. I tried making dosa couple of times, but batter got too sticked up that i had to spend lots of time scrubing... since then it just stays in, is there anywhere we can season them???? Any help is really appreciated. Thanks a lot.
KK
www.kitchenmate.blogspot.com

Kz
4th October 2006, 08:52 AM
For those who use food processors, how often do u use it, for what kind of works do u use it? do u think it is very helpful?
i am thinking to buy kitchenaid fp, i do have sumeet mixie. so wondering if it would be a unnecessary investment or an useful one? It would be mostly for shredding and grating veggies/cheese.

Has any one tried saladshooter? is it worth to buy?
Kz

Nichiro
4th October 2006, 04:13 PM
Hello KK,

Dosaikal made of Hindaliums tend to get heated up very fast and the heat distribution is unequal.

Try the following.
1) Keep a constant medium flame only.
2) When the kal gets heated, season first with cut onion by rubbing it on kal thoroughly.
3) After each dosai is made, sprinkle a little water on kal and then only pour the batter.

If you follow these steps, you will have no problem.

Nichiro

RedPepper
5th October 2006, 08:41 AM
For those who use food processors, how often do u use it, for what kind of works do u use it? do u think it is very helpful?
i am thinking to buy kitchenaid fp, i do have sumeet mixie. so wondering if it would be a unnecessary investment or an useful one? It would be mostly for shredding and grating veggies/cheese.

Has any one tried saladshooter? is it worth to buy?
Kz

I use my food processor for:

making chapathi dough
making pizza dough
parippuvada, uzhunnuvada mix
grating cheese
grating carrots for carrot halwa
grating beets
chopping onion, if there is a lot
chopping garlic, ginger, green chillies for biriyani
making mayonnaise
pureeing fruits
making breadcrumbs

I guess thats it. :)

Kz
6th October 2006, 05:57 AM
RP Thankyou! which brand and how many cups food processor do u have?

moonlight
9th November 2006, 09:02 PM
inspired by all the msgs here i bought a cast iron lodge logic griddle. after a tiring search i found it in walmart. i made my first adai yesterday and it came out great but i hv a question redg the clean up after cooking. can someone tell me the exact procedure to clean up after dosai, adai making. thanks a ton.

dev
9th November 2006, 10:57 PM
cleaning up cast iron griddle after cooking- I just wipe it clean with a kitchen tissue dipped in cooking oil...just enough oil to give the griddle a nice coating... do this when the griddlie is still hot... this will help prevent the dosa sticking on to the tava when u use it next time... just before using it the next time, wash it in cold water... do not use washing liquid... every 3-4 use wash it with mild washing liquid...

moonlight
10th November 2006, 03:29 AM
cleaning up cast iron griddle after cooking- I just wipe it clean with a kitchen tissue dipped in cooking oil...just enough oil to give the griddle a nice coating... do this when the griddlie is still hot... this will help prevent the dosa sticking on to the tava when u use it next time... just before using it the next time, wash it in cold water... do not use washing liquid... every 3-4 use wash it with mild washing liquid...

Thank u dev for the tip. also I am not able to get the lodge ableskiver pan. its out of stock and has anybody got experice with other brands like bethany etc? are they good too? i called lodge and they said they will be available only next year beginning. :(

Kz
17th November 2006, 08:53 PM
Moonlight,check it in target.

Kz
19th November 2006, 01:46 AM
Does anyone use cast iron dutch oven or any other variety? is it useful?

US
5th December 2006, 12:34 AM
This is a great thread. Lot of useful info.

Seems like even I should start revamping my kitchen.

Red Pepper, I am planning to buy food processor. Can you please post the brand and the capacity which you are using.

Also, can somebody please throw light on using aluminium for deep frying.

Thanks

US
5th December 2006, 12:44 AM
just one more thing.

Red pepper, your aloo gobi looks very good. can you please post the recipe

moonlight
20th January 2007, 05:27 AM
http://www.perfectpeninsula.com/EnamelGiftCurryPot.html

i am looking at the above pots to buy. can someone throw some light on its efficiency and also its safety interms of using them. i am very apprehensive about using new type utensils and all i use is stainless steel and cast iron. i dont use non stick too. so i would appreciate all ur inputs.

RedPepper
23rd January 2007, 08:56 AM
This is a great thread. Lot of useful info.

Seems like even I should start revamping my kitchen.

Red Pepper, I am planning to buy food processor. Can you please post the brand and the capacity which you are using.

Thanks

So sorry US and Kz. I just saw this.

Mine is GE brand, about 10 cups capacity I guess.
I also have a one cup capacity food processor attachment for my oster blender. This is really good for making chutnies and all. Actually I love the oster attachment more. I use the bigger one for making vada batter etc..
I will post my aloo gobi recipe soon. Thanks.

deepali128
8th May 2007, 12:37 AM
hi friends,

can anybody tell me how to shine a pressure cookers,it gets black in bottom as i put pot inside the cooker. i tried lemon but it didn't work.

deepali

kavikuil
8th May 2007, 06:07 AM
hi deepali, try page 4 of this thread or click below.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5848&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

deepali128
10th May 2007, 06:38 PM
hi deepali, try page 4 of this thread or click below.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5848&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

thanx for the reply i will try it today only

Kz
23rd May 2007, 03:40 AM
Thankyou RP. will check out GE food processors.
Did any one buy kuzhi paniyaram kal here in US the iron ones? is it good?

Also wanted to know what kind of murukku press u have, which one is better?

gaya3usa
23rd May 2007, 08:15 AM
Go this web site, they do sell Non stick Paniyaram Kal ( Pan ) with flat base that will suit all types of cook tops.
http://www.perfectpeninsula.com/paniyaram.htm

They also carry Stainless Steel murukku press also.
www.perfectpeninsula.com

kavikuil
25th May 2007, 04:12 PM

Just saw this... I'm not sure about Aluminium - Lot of controversy that it causes Alzhiemers or some other thing.. I would generally avoid Aluminium cookware because (from my experiences) the food prepared and left in it detoriotes way too waster than in a stainless-steel cookware.

I've heard good things about anodised aluminium though.. Btw, you can even deep fry in cast iron cookware. I find that the heat retains well in this kind of cookware and since it's very heavy, it's hard to topple over when I'm making murukkus.

kavikuil
25th May 2007, 04:15 PM
Thankyou RP. will check out GE food processors.
Did any one buy kuzhi paniyaram kal here in US the iron ones? is it good?

Also wanted to know what kind of murukku press u have, which one is better?

Check out in target - They have an ableskiver pan which is very similar to kuzhipaniyaram kal and it's made of cast iron. (Sheesh! I should stop sounding like a walking billboard for cast iron stuff! :lol: ) Lot of people have used that and have had excellent results.

gaya3usa
26th April 2008, 12:10 AM
mmm..muruku is my favourite snack !
For a long time i was searching for the muruku press in Indian stores..but finally I found Maruti Kitchen Press, on this web site http://www.perfectpeninsula.com

You need a right tool to make muruku. The job was done like a breeze, just with one hand ! It was so easy to press.
When compared to the conventional tool made out of wood or aluminium - you need two hand and have to press very hard and it becomes very difficult to make when the oil is hot :(

It also came with a Recipe book with lots of unique snack varieties ! For more info, go to http://www.perfectpeninsula.com/KitchenPress.html

I hope this would be more useful link, for hubbers who are looking for to buy one !

geecee
12th April 2010, 10:19 PM
Friends,

Does anyone know how to season a cast-iron utensil [ vaanali , dosaikkal & iluppa karandi ] before using for first time ?

I purchased the above many months ago after a vacation to India .. still have not used it :( It is all a dirty, dusty , brownish color , still wrapped in that shop's newspaper.

The shopkeeper mentioned casually to first fill with 'kanji' [water in which we cook rice] , then rub with 'aathu manal' [ seaside sand]. Impossible to get both around here , so am thinking must I wash repeatedly with detergent/water till the brownish residue goes away ? Then must I apply lot of oil and then start cooking in them ?

If anybody who has done it before or knows how to season the pans, please explain here. I'm waiting to use my vessels for a long time .

Appreciate any pointers . Thanks.

Thattai
19th July 2010, 10:24 PM
Hi,

Have been going thru this thread and there is a lot of interesting info. Has anyone used anodised cookware (like hawkins has)? How has that worked out?

Also looking to replace my sumeet mixer grinder. Any suggestions as to which brands are good for Indian cooking requirements?

Tx in advance.