PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies - Part 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Mrs.Mano
16th October 2009, 11:37 PM
Dear NOV!

Thanks a lot for the warm wishes and wish the same to you!!

suvai
17th October 2009, 07:20 AM
Dear mrs mano,
What is thirutu halva? athoda recipe iruntha podunga plz....thank u nga in advance.

is it same as black halva?

bkarthika
21st October 2009, 11:43 AM
Mrs Mano...
Thank u very much for posting the Elumbu kuzhambu recipe.I will try this recipe this week and i will tell u how it comes. I have a small doubt.In that recipe you have mentioned measurements in cup.Cup means how much gms it will come approximately? and one more thing i have that soup bowl(used in road side soup shops).Can i use that for this measurement.Thanks in advance!

Mrs.Mano
22nd October 2009, 12:10 PM
Dear karthika!

One cup measures 100 gms for flours while it measures more or less 150gms for dals etc. You can take a small cup which measures 150gms to 200 gms of dals correctly. This will go for all my recipes. But for vegetables, you can even use a little bigger cup. No problem.

Mrs.Mano
22nd October 2009, 12:13 PM
[tscii:e7fd63a7ba][/tscii:e7fd63a7ba]Dear Selvi!

I am posting here the recipe of ‘ CRAB KUZHAMBU’ for you!!

CRAB KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Crabs-9
Onion [sliced]-3
Crushed tomatoes-3 cups
Ginger- 1 “piece
Garlic flakes-15
Fennel seeds-1 tbsp+ 1 tsp
Shredded coconut- 1 1/2 cups
Curry leaves- quarter cup
Chopped coriander leaves-1 cup
Chilli powder- 11/2 tbsp
Coriander powder- half tbsp
Turmeric powder- half tsp
Boiled rice- a handful
Peppercorns- 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds- half tsp
Oil- 5 tbsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Clean the crabs well and cut each crab in to 2 pieces. Separate the legs. In a dry pan fry the rice, peppercorns, 1 tsp fennel seeds and the cumin seeds to light golden brown. When cooled, powder them to a fine flour. Grind the coconut with the ginger, garlic and the remaining fennel seeds to a fine paste.

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the onion and fry them to golden brown. Then add the tomatoes with the curry leaves, coriander leaves and the turmeric powder and fry until the tomatoes are cooked to a mashed paste and the oil floats on the surface. Add the crab pieces and the legs along with the chilli and coriander powders and 4 cups of water. Add the salt. When the crabs are cooked for 10 minutes, mix well and add the coconut paste. Water can be added according to the consistency. Cook for further 10 minutes. When the gravy starts to thicken, sprinkle the ground powder little by little and mix well. Keep the kuzhambu on slow fire for ten more minutes mixing in intervals.

Selviem
22nd October 2009, 06:53 PM
Aunty,
this was the exact receipe amma told me, sure i will try and give u feedback. thank u so much. i have sent the link to amma also.
Today i made ur soya chunky gravy. That was one of the favourite dish for our kids.
selvi

Mrs.Mano
23rd October 2009, 03:16 PM
Dear Selvi!

This recipe originally belongs to my mother in law. For extra flavour and richness, I am always adding a lots of tomatoes and coriander leaves which will make the kuzhambu delicious.
And thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'SOYA CHUNK CURRY'!!

Selviem
24th October 2009, 12:22 PM
aunty,
i knew ur cooking, it so delicious. channa pulav is on our weekly schedule. everybody enjoys it. My husband that is a whole meal. So for me it is very easy to cook that too. Everybody will eat quietly. Also last week i made green thokku, that was also a superhit.
Thanks for the receipes. take care
selvi

suvai
24th October 2009, 07:31 PM
Dear mrs mano,
I tried your tomato thokku - 1.....we had it with dosai & it was veryyyy delicious......thank you nga for another wonderful recipe....:-)
neenga epadi irukeenga? hope all is well.
take care
s

Mrs.Mano
25th October 2009, 11:06 PM
Dear Selvi!

I felt happy to know that my 'Chenna pulao' often plays an important role in your cooking! Thanks for it as well as the nice feedback on green thokku.

Mrs.Mano
25th October 2009, 11:10 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for yr nice feedback on 'Tomato thokku', suvai! It is a very tasty recipe. It will be very tasty if you use it as a spread along with butter on sandwiches!

Yes, I am doing well now. Again I am going to my native place next week.

Mrs.Mano
25th October 2009, 11:12 PM
[tscii:7f9b8e5536]Here I am posting a few interesting recipes which I have tried last week.

KEERAI KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Finely chopped Keerai- 2 cups
Small onion [chopped]- half cup
Crushed tomato- half cup
Tamarind-a big lime size
Fenugreek powder- quarter sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chilli powder- 1 sp
Sambar powder- 1 sp
Coriander powder-half sp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil-3 tbsp+!sp

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for half an hour and then extract its juice.
Heat a pan and pour 3 tbsp gingelly oil. Add the onion and fry them to golden brown. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and cook it until they are mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the fenugreek powder and fry for a few seconds. Then add the keerai and cook for a few minutes. Pour the tamarind juice with the powders and salt. Boil the kuzhambu for a few minutes and when the colour of the keerai begins to change, put off the fire. Pour the remaining oil and mix well.

GREEN GRAM AND PANEER GRAVY:

Ingredients:

Whole Green gram- 1 cup
Paneer pieces cut into half inches-1 cup
Crushed tomatoes-2 ½ cups
Chilli powder-2 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- half sp
Oil-4 tbsp
Cumin seeds-half sp
Curry leaves-a few
Chopped coriander-half cup
Chopped onion-1 cup

Grind the following in to a fine paste:

Shredded coconut- half cup, fennelseeds-1 tsp, garlic flakes [small]-5, shredded ginger-half sp

Procedure:

Pressure cook the green gram with enough water for 4 whistles. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the cumin seeds with the curry leaves. Then add the onion and fry them to golden brown. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and cook it until they are mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the cooked green gram with the chilli powder and 2 cups of water and cook for a few minutes. Add the paneer pieces with the salt. After a few minutes add the ground paste and mix well. Add the chopped coriander. Cook for a few minutes.
[/tscii:7f9b8e5536]

Selviem
26th October 2009, 02:13 AM
Aunty,
paneer with green gram is different for me. here i have some doubts, do we need to soak the gram? also do we need to fry the paneer pieces?
selvi

suvai
26th October 2009, 04:47 AM
Dear mrs mano,

I have some in the fridge will surely try spreading it on toast...thanks for the tip nga...:-)

Have a safe trip nga!

Mrs.Mano
26th October 2009, 11:21 PM
Dear selvi!

There is no need to soak the green gram overnight. When you start cooking, pressure cook the green gram. After taking off the pressure cooker from fire, you can start frying the onions and tomatoes. In this way, you can finish this gravy in just 30 minutes. But sprouted green grams and soaked green grams are more delicious definitely.

For paneer, in olden days, it was said to fry them before cooking. Now there is no need for it. You can add them straightly from the fridge after they had been thawed from the freezer overnight. If there is no time for that, you can take them from the freezer, put them in slightly warm water for 10 minutes and then you can add them to the boiling gravy. The paneer's taste will be delicious in this way.

Mrs.Mano
26th October 2009, 11:23 PM
Dear Suvai!

Another tip is here for you!

When you prepare masala dosai, first spread this thokku evenly and then spread the potato masala. The dosa'si taste will be delicious.

suvai
27th October 2009, 04:37 AM
Dear mrs mano,
oh nice idea nga ....will surely spread yr tomato thokku first on the dosai & then put the potato masala.....
Want to share something that i did with it....i spread the thokku on brown toast & sprinkled some mozzarella cheese & oven la vachi eduthen...omg table la irunthu engey pochiney therila :mrgreen:
thank u nga for yr tips..:-)

Mrs.Mano
27th October 2009, 10:29 AM
Dear Selvi!

I want to clarify some doubts on Amma's thoppam[suzhiyan] which she is doing often for me. If I make it this morning, can I keep it outside till tomorrow morning? How long it will lost?

Mrs.Mano
27th October 2009, 10:34 AM
Dear Suvai!

With this thokku, you can make a nice sandwish spread with corn. Microwave 1 cup of frozen corn after washing them well, along with 1 tsp of butter, 1 or 2 tsp of this thokku and 1 tbsp of chopped spring onion for 2 minutes on High. This can be eaten as a evening snack also. This I am doing often for my sandwiches.

Selviem
27th October 2009, 03:38 PM
aunty,
normally amma make thoppam for diwali. she makes it previous day night itself and on the diwali day she will keep it outside till evening. It will stay for a day, not more than that.
selvi

Selviem
27th October 2009, 03:40 PM
Aunty,
i was so much tempted about tomato thokku, can u please tell me where is that receipe of tomato thokku.
i also want to try it. thanks in advance.
selvi

Mrs.Mano
28th October 2009, 10:41 AM
Dear Selvi!

This thakkali thokku recipe is a very old one and is always having a lots of fans! Years back, I have posted this in my first thread. Here I have pasted it from my file.

TOMATO THOKKU-1:

Fry 1sp fenugreek seeds and a pea-sized asafoetida in a tsp of oil to a golden brown colour and then powder them finely.
Grind 4 big tomatoes with a gooseberry-sized tamarind and 7 red chillies to a fine paste. Pour this in a pan and heat it.
Add 1sp turmeric powder and mix well.
Cook until all the water is evaporated.
Then heat a kadai and pour 6tbsp gingelly oil.
When the oil becomes hot, add 1sp mustard seeds.
When they splutter add a handful of curry leaves, and 1 tbsp of finely chopped garlic flakes and fry them on a slow fire for a few seconds.
The colour of the garlic flakes should not be changed.
Then add the cooked tomato paste and enough salt.
Cook on slow fire for some minutes until the oil floats on the surface.
Add the fried powder and mix well.
Cook for a few minutes and then put off the fire.

Selviem
28th October 2009, 01:26 PM
thank u so much aunty. i will try it.
selvi

suvai
29th October 2009, 04:32 AM
Dear Suvai!

With this thokku, you can make a nice sandwish spread with corn. Microwave 1 cup of frozen corn after washing them well, along with 1 tsp of butter, 1 or 2 tsp of this thokku and 1 tbsp of chopped spring onion for 2 minutes on High. This can be eaten as a evening snack also. This I am doing often for my sandwiches.

dear mrs mano,
what an awesome idea........saves time too.....thanks nga...will surely try it...i am positive about the super taste ;-)
thanks nga

dev
6th November 2009, 08:06 PM
Mrs.Mano, can u pls post a recipe for mini pepper idli & mini masala idli?...

Mrs.Mano
10th November 2009, 10:16 PM
Dear Dev!
As I am in Tamilnadu now, I happened to notice yr query only a few days ago.
I have never cooked Pepper idli. But I have some tips for it. In 4 tbsp of gingelly oil, fry a little cumin seeds with curry leaves, asafetida powder, a handful of finely chopped small onions with one tbsp of coarsely crushed peppercorns. When you pour idli batter on the moulds, pour half the quantity first, then sprinkle half tsp of this mixture and pour the remaining batter on it to fill the mould. Then steam the pepper idly.
For masala idli also, you can prepare potato masala, fill it as in the above method and steam them.

Mrs.Mano
10th November 2009, 10:20 PM
I have cooked this delicious rice variety a few days back. Here is the recipe!

THENGAIPAL PULAVU SADHAM:

Ingredients:

Basmati rice- 1 heaped cup
Bengal gram-2 tbsp
Green gram- quarter cup
Slice onon-1
Finely chopped tomato-1
Mint leaves- 1 cup
Coriander leaves-chopped- 1 cup
Thick coconut milk- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Ghee-3 tbsp
Oil-2 tbsps
Turmeric powder- half sp

Grind the following ingredients coarsely:

Ginger- 1 tsp, small garlic flakes-5, cardamom-1, clove-1, cinnamon- a small piece, green chillies-2

Procedure:

Heat a vessel and pour the ghee and the oil. Add the onion and fry it to golden brown. Then add the ground paste and fry for a few seconds. Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder, mint and coriander leaves. Fry them well until the tomatoes are mashed well and the oil floats on top. Pour 5 cups of water with the coconut milk and salt. Wash the rice and the dals and add them to the milk. Cook on slow fire. When the rice is fully cooked and all the water is evaporated, add a little ghee and put off the fire.

Selviem
10th November 2009, 11:34 PM
Aunty,
how r u? thengapal pilav satham, is thengapal kitchadi. final result of this pilav will be like paruppu sadham, am i right. I have the receipe of thengapal kitchadi of urs, which i prepare regularly at home. kids like that so much.

selvi

dev
11th November 2009, 10:32 AM
Mrs.mano, thanks a lot... your version of pepper idli is very diff...will try it out...

Thanks again...:)

suvai
12th November 2009, 04:03 AM
Dear mrs mano,
Epadi irukeenga?
Thengai paal pulao sounds very interesting...never heard of dals in pulao.....try pannitu solaren kandipa onga kita.

do u by any chance have andra ellu adai recipe nga? iruntha share pannunga plz. avanga chutneys & podis iruntha kooda share pannunga plz. Thanks nga in advance.

Mrs.Mano
12th November 2009, 02:44 PM
Dear Selvi!

This sadham is like pongal. But the taste will be like briyani. I am happy that you are cooking this dish often in your home!!

Selviem
13th November 2009, 03:52 PM
Dear Aunty,

tomorrow i am planning to prepare ur thengapal kitchadi. as u said its taste is very good. i serve hot and on top i will put ghee for the kids. They enjoy it, also they like ur sambar sadham. they doesn't know it is sambar satham, they always say, amma can u prepare dhal, veg rice.

thanks for giving us nice receipes.

selvi

Mrs.Mano
13th November 2009, 11:02 PM
Dear Selvi!

Thanks for the compliments.
My sambar sadham is the most favourite dish in my home also!!

Mrs.Mano
13th November 2009, 11:36 PM
Dear Suvai!

I do not remember 'Andhra's ellu adai. If I get it from my file, I will post it here. I am posting here two recipes of Andhra's chutney varieties here.

VILAMBAZHA CHUTNEY:

Ingredients:

Vilambazham-2
red chillies-10
jaggery- 1 sp
black gram- 2 tsp
bengal gram-2 tsp
ustard seeds-half sp
asafoetida- a small piece
salt to taste
a small piece of tamarind

Procedure:

roast the spices in a drop of oil and then crush them coarsely. Remove the pulp of vilambazham, and add this to the crushed spice, salt, with the jaggery and the tamarind. crush them coarsely in a small 'ural'.

RIDGE GOURD CHUTNEY:

Ingredients:

Ridge gourd-3
tamarind- a big gooseberry size
salt to taste
fried spices as above

Procedure:

cut the vegetable in to small pieces and fry them in a tsp of oil.
grind the spices coarsely. Then add the fried vegetable with the tamarind and the salt. Grind them coarsely.

dev
14th November 2009, 02:33 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, congrats on the new addition to your family!!!... peran eppadi irukaan?

suvai
14th November 2009, 08:37 PM
Dear mrs mano!!!
First congrats on the arrival of the little prince...:-) awesome!!!

thank u nga for the chutneys....will try out the ridgegourd chutney....we dont get wood apple here.....

congrats nga once again....ennaa sweet seiya poreenga veetila!?:-)

Mrs.Mano
20th November 2009, 06:50 PM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the greetings. I became a proud grand mother on 12th November. My grandson is so sweet and cute. The arrival of the new addition showers much happiness in our family at present!!
Dev! I thank you once again!!

NOV
20th November 2009, 06:52 PM
wow! congratulations on the new promotion, mrs mano! :D

Mrs.Mano
20th November 2009, 06:56 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for the nice greetings!! My home has been overflowed with full of sweets. It is a nice feeling to be a grand mother. There is no time to prepare sweets. But I have prepared ' poondu kuzhambu' for my daughter in law!!

Mrs.Mano
20th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Dear NOV!

I Thank you very much for your warm greetings!!

kugan98
20th November 2009, 07:01 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano congrats on your new promotion.
I am sure you are over joyed with the new arrival.
You will be a very busy grandmother now.
Enjoy with your grandson.
Take care. Kugan98

Selviem
21st November 2009, 12:55 AM
dear aunty,

congrats, u r a proud grandmother now. i gave mail in ur gmail. our regards to uncle , madhu, vaishali and the little prince.

selvi

Mrs.Mano
21st November 2009, 08:11 PM
Dear Kugan!!

My heartiest thanks for yr nice greetings! Yes, being a grand mother is a proud feeling!!

Mrs.Mano
21st November 2009, 08:16 PM
Dear Selvi!

Thanks a lot for the greetings!
I have seen yr mail, but I could not reply immediately due to the lack of time. I will mail you soon! I will return back to Dubai at the end of this month. Amma and appa are coming to tomarrow's function.

suvai
21st November 2009, 08:25 PM
Dear mrs mano,
I tried out your thengai paal pulao as well as keerai kuzhambu......& both turned out very yummy....pulao pona idam therila :mrgreen:

Peranai paarthaaley inipi saapitaa maathri thaaney ;-) It must be such a joy being with your peran.

take care nga mrs mano
regards,
s

Selviem
21st November 2009, 11:20 PM
Dear Aunty,

take ur time and reply. no problem. i know how much busy u will be. amma and appa told me that they r coming for the function.take care.

selvi

Thattai
27th November 2009, 06:43 PM
Dear Mrs. MAno,

Hearty congrats on the new arrival. I myself logged in after a while as I was expecting my second one. He arrived on 15th sept, little bit before ur grandson:)

It's always lovely to have a baby in the house and even lovelier when it's a grandchild, as u're experiencing, I'm sure.

Congrats once again and hoping to try ur latest recipes soon.

Thattai

PS: CAn u give ur poondu kuzhambu recipe? Or has it been posted already? If so, then will look it up.

dev
27th November 2009, 08:45 PM
Thattai, hearty congrats!!!... take care of urself & the lil one...

suvai
28th November 2009, 09:07 AM
Thattai nga.........congratulations on the arrival of a little angel to your family!!!
Take care

suvai
28th November 2009, 09:09 AM
dear mrs mano.....onga kita andra avakaai pickle recipe iruntha share pannunga plz.....thanks nga!

Mrs.Mano
30th November 2009, 11:49 AM
[tscii:f071294396][/tscii:f071294396]Dear Thattai!

Thank you very much for the hearty greetings.
My heartiest congratulations for you as well as yr second child. I wish you all the happiness with good health.
After so many experiences in this world, it really softens and mellows the heart to see a fresh innocent baby’s face and feel its softness in the hands. Yes, I enjoy being a grand mother now.
I also do not remember whether I have posted the recipe of ‘poondu kuzhambu’ previously or not. Here I am posting a better version of it for you.

POONDU MUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Small garlic flakes- a handful
Small onions- half cup
Small onions finely chopped- ¼ cup
Tomatoes finely chopped- half cup
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chilli powder-1 ½ tbsp
Coriander powder- 1 ½ tbsp
Karuvadagam[coarsely crushed]-1 tsp
Fenugreek powder- 1 tsp
Coarsely ground peppercorns- half sp
Curry leaves- a few
Asafetida pr- half sp
Gingelly oil- 6 tbsp
Tamarind- a big lime size
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of warm water and after half an hour, extract its thick juice.
Heat a pan and pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the crushed vadagam and immediately add the onions. Fry them nicely to golden brown. Then add the garlic flakes and the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry them until the tomatoes are mashed well and the oil floats on surface. Add the pepper and fenugreek powders. Fry for a few seconds on slow fire. Pour the tamarind extract with the powders and salt. Boil the kuzhambu for 15 minutes. Lastly keep the kuzhambu on slow fire for a few seconds and pour 1 tsp of gingelly oil on top.

Hemant Trivedi
30th November 2009, 05:16 PM
Congrats Mrs. Mano.
Now your life will not be the same as it has been so far.
We are likely to see less of Mrs. Mano here on FH.
( I know because I have two grand daughters)

Hemant Trivedi

pr
2nd December 2009, 02:31 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!.You should be enjoying every moment to the fullest I guess ..
Regards
Pr

Mrs.Mano
2nd December 2009, 10:56 AM
[tscii:a79755d949]Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on ‘keerai kuzhambu’ and ‘thengai pal sadham’!!
Here is the recipe of ‘Aavakkai pickle’ for you!

AVAKKAI PICKLE:

Ingredients:

Raw Mango pieces-8 cups
Chilli powder-2 cups
Gingelly oil-2 cups
Mustard powder- 1 cup
Fenugreek powder- 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 2 tsp
Salt- 1 ½ cup
Optional ingredients:
small garlic flakes-1 cup, shredded ginger- 1 cup, green gram powder[slightly coarse]- 1 cup, small white chickpeas-1 cup

Procedure:

The raw mangoes should be firm, fresh, and sour. Wash the raw mangoes and dry them with a clean cloth. Cut them in to a little bigger pieces with the seed inside. In a broad basin, mix in all the powders with the salt and the gingelly oil with a clean spoon. Add all the mango pieces and mix them thoroughly. Change them to a clean jar coated with gingelly oil liberally. Cover tightly with a clean cloth. After three days, mix well with a clean spoon, again cover with the cloth and keep it on sun light for a day. Thus it must be mixed well once in 10 days. After the mango pieces are soaked well in salt, it can be used.
The optional ingredients also can be added to this pickle. They will enhance the taste. For chick peas, soak them overnight, drain them in the morning, dry them well in a clean cloth and then they can be mixed in the pickle along with the other ingredients. [/tscii:a79755d949]

Mrs.Mano
2nd December 2009, 10:56 AM
[tscii:5ad1b50f8b]Respected Mr. Trivedi!

Thanks a lot for the wishes. It is a honour to receive blessings from you.

Yes, I can already see a lot of changes are coming in to our routine life. We are eagerly expecting the baby’s arrival along with my daughter in law which will be only after 3 months. Till then, I think, I will be coming regularly to the Forum hub as usual.

[/tscii:5ad1b50f8b]

Mrs.Mano
2nd December 2009, 11:06 AM
Dear Pr!

Thank you very much for the nice wishes.

Thattai
3rd December 2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks Mrs MAno, Dev and Suvai for your wishes.

Thanks also to mrs MAno for posting kuzhambu recipe. Just made poondu kuzhambu today, so will make ur version in the next rotation. Am sure it will be yummy :)

Thattai
3rd December 2009, 10:25 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Just read thru the Poondu Kuzhambu recipe. Needed some clarifications:
1] Small onions mentioned twice - one 1/2 measure and one 1/4 measure. Which one to take?
2] What can we substitute for the vadagam?

Thanks,
Thattai

suvai
4th December 2009, 07:36 AM
Dear mrs mano.......thank u nga so very much for the avakai pickle......:-)
I am sure you must be eagerly awaiting the arrival of your little prince to get home :-)
He will be such a bundle of joy to everyone around....enjoy!!

dev
6th December 2009, 10:47 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano, tried moong sprouts kulambu recipe of urs...turned out very well... thanks a lot...:)

Mrs.Mano
10th December 2009, 01:12 AM
[tscii:35887152a9][/tscii:35887152a9]My mother makes this ‘paal vazaikkai’ in two types. This is the first version. I am fond of this recipe. Last week I have prepared it again after a few months’ gap.

PAL VAZHAIKKAI:

Ingredients:

Big raw banana-2
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Peppercorns- half sp
Cumin seeds-half sp
Red chillies-2
Sambar onions-5
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Gingelly oil-2 tbsp
Finely chopped coriander- 1 tbsp
Curry leaves- a arc
Mustard seeds- half sp

Procedure:

Extract thick milk from the coconut and it must be measured to 2 cups. Grind the peppercorns, cumin seeds, red chillies and the onions to slightly coarse paste. Peel and cut the bananas in to small pieces. Heat a kadai and pour a cup of water. Add the banana pieces with enough salt and turmeric powder. Boil them until they are 3/4th done. Add the ground masala and cook for a few minutes. Pour the coconut milk and allow it to cook for a few seconds. Heat a small kadai and pour 1 tbsp of oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the curry leaves and the coriander leaves. Cook for a few seconds and pour it on the vazaikkai.Mix well and pour the remaining oil on top. Do not mix. Cover with a lid and use it after half an hour.

Mrs.Mano
10th December 2009, 01:17 AM
Dear Thattai!

You must use both types of onions for this kuzhambu. One is finely chopped and other is whole onions. The juice from the finely chopped onions will enhance the flavour very much. Vadagam is optional only. You can prepare this kuzhambu without this vadagam also.

dev
17th December 2009, 08:34 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano, can u please post a recipe for kulambu milagai thool...

Thanks in adv...

Mrs.Mano
18th December 2009, 12:01 AM
Dear Dev!

In places like Mayiladuthurai, chidhambaram, Cuddalure etc, a kuzhambu podi whcih consists of red chillies, coriander seeds, dals, and pepper is being used always for all kinds of kuzhambu varieties. Are you asking for it?

dev
18th December 2009, 10:01 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I'm not sure abt the origin of the podi... I tried the kulambu milagai podi (aachi masala) sometime back & liked it... On the masala packet they say it can be used for all types of kulambu... so I guess it should be similar to what U've said...

Mrs.Mano
19th December 2009, 12:50 AM
[tscii:51ae699793]Dear Dev!

Here is the recipe for the ‘ kuzhambu podi’ you have asked.

KUZHAMBU PODI:

Ingredients:

Coriander seeds-750gms
Red chillies- 25 gms
Thuar dal-125gms
Bengal gram-50gms
Peppercorns- 25 gms
Cumin seeds- 25 gms
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Raw rice- 1 tsp
Fennelseeds-1 tsp

Procedure:

Dry roast all the ingredients separately to golden brown. When cooled, grind them to a fine powder.
[/tscii:51ae699793]

suvai
19th December 2009, 09:33 PM
Dear mrs mano,
Thank u for the paal vazhakai & kuzhambu podi...........rendum try pannitu solaren....i like the paal vazhakai recipe....very new & different masala to grind.......ithai urulaikizhangula kooda seiyalaam ileengala? becoz inga vaazhakai kidaikarthu konjam kazhtam....but today heading to indian store maybe i will be lucky ;-) kandipa will give u the feed back nga.
hope all is well with u & peran too!!
take care
s

dev
21st December 2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks a lot Mrs.Mano... try senjittu solren...:)

Mrs.Mano
22nd December 2009, 12:04 PM
[tscii:102c7a912c]Here I am posting two recipes which I have recently prepared in my kitchen.

SPICY CHICKEN GRAVY:

Ingredients:

Boneless chicken pieces-1 kilo
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Fresh tomato [ground]-quarter cup
Salt to taste
Oil-5 tbsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Turmeric powder- half tsp
Chopped coriander- 2 tbsp

Roast the following ingredients in a tsp of oil and grind them to a fine paste:

Sambar onions-10
Peppercorns-2 tsp
Poppy seeds- 2 tsp
Red chillies-5
Coriander seeds- 1 ½ tsp
Shredded coconut- quarter cup
Fennel seeds-1 tsp
Clove-1
Cinnamon- 1” piece

Procedure:

Wash the chicken pieces and marinate them with the ground paste, turmeric powder, tomato paste and enough salt for an hour. Heat a pan and pour the oil. When it becomes hot enough add the curry leaves and fry for a second. Then add the chicken and cook on medium fire closing with a lid. When the chicken is completely cooked, sprinkle the coriander and put off the fire.

ORANGE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE SUACE:

Ingredients:

For the cake:

Self raising flour- 250gms
Powdered sugar- 250 gms
Butter- 250gms
Eggs-4
Fresh Orange juice- 5 tbsp
Tang orange powder- 3 tbsp
Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
Orange essence- 1 tsp
Baking powder- 2tsp

For the chocolate sauce:

Cooking chocolate - 250 gms
Single cream- 125 ml

Procedure:

Sieve the flour with the baking powder thrice. Mix the orange powder and the essences with the orange juice. Beat the butter and the sugar in a food processor well. Add the eggs one by one and beat well. Add the flour little by little and slowly beat them to mix well. Lastly add the orange juice mixture and beat for a second. Spread this mixture in a greased baking bowl and bake it in a pre heated gas oven to 160 deg C for 20 to 30 minutes. Take it away and allow it to cool in a rack.

Shred the chocolate finely with a scrapper. Pour the cream in a sauce pan and heat it on moderate fire. When it starts to simmer, add the shredded chocolate pieces and mix for a split of second on fire. Then put off the fire and mix the mixture thoroughly. Spread it evenly on the cooled cake and around the sides also.

[/tscii:102c7a912c]

Selviem
22nd December 2009, 12:13 PM
Aunty,
spicy chicken gravy looks different.
how it will be after cooking, is it a semi gravy or thokku type. please let me know.
i want to try tomorrow.

selvi

Mrs.Mano
22nd December 2009, 12:55 PM
Dear Selvi!!

You can cook this to a much thickened gravy. This goes well with potato kurma and rice or sambar with rice and parotta also!!

Mrs.Mano
22nd December 2009, 12:56 PM
Dear Suvai!

have you cooked 'pal vazaikkai'? You can prepare this recipe with potato also!!

Selviem
22nd December 2009, 01:32 PM
ok fine aunty, let me try it out tomorrow and post u the feedback.
selvi

suvai
23rd December 2009, 08:36 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Indian store poi....got the vazhakai /sambar onions & tried out yr paaal vaazhakai nga......it was superbbbbbb....very very different taste.... loved the combo of pepper/red chillies/sambar onions & coconut milk....puthu taste.....thanks nga!! Good to know that it can be tried with potatoes too....inga vaazhakai kidaikarthu konjam kazhtam athaan kettukiten...;-)
Thanks nga mrs mano!

neenga rendu vagai iruku nu pottu iruntheenga...plz post the other variety too nga....will surely try it....:-)

Mrs mano....onga kita obottu (not sure if i am typing it correctly...it is a karnataka dish....not sure what its made up of....recipe iruntha podunga plz & thanks nga :-)

dev
24th December 2009, 05:25 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, Can u pls post a recipe for chettinad style chicken dosai?...

Selviem
24th December 2009, 07:06 PM
Aunty,
today i made ur spicy chicken gravy,
it came out very nicely. we all enjoyed it. i made with small pieces of pieces with bones. very good dish had it with rasam sadham.
thanks a lot aunty.
selvi

Selviem
24th December 2009, 07:07 PM
Aunty,

wishing u a merry christmas and a happy new year.

selvi

dev
24th December 2009, 09:05 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, wishing you & family a very happy christmas & a wonderful 2010...

Mrs.Mano
25th December 2009, 10:30 AM
[tscii:02e2b5671a][/tscii:02e2b5671a]Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for yr wishes. I wish you and your family a very Happy New year!!!

Thanks a lot for the compliments on ‘pal vazhaikkai’ recipe! Your appreciation always inspires me very much to post interesting recipes often!!
Suvai! I will search my file and try for the recipe you have asked.

Here is the second version of pal vazhaikkai for you!

PAL VAZHAIKKAI-2:

Ingredients:

Big Vazaikkai[raw banana]-2
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Slightly coarse pepper powder- ½ tsp
Slightly coarse cumin powder- half sp
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
Sambar onions[finely chopped]- 6
Finely chopped green chillies-2
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Finely chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Split black gram- 1 tsp
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsp
Red chillies-2
Asafetida powder- half sp

Procedure:

Extract thick and thin milk from the coconut. Cut the vazhaikkai in to thin pieces. Cook them in the thin milk with all the powders and salt until 3/4th is done. Heat a small kadai and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the black gram and fry for a few seconds. Then add the onions, green chillies, red chillies, coriander leaves and curry leaves. Fry them well on slow fire. Pour the vazahikkai curry with the thin milk to this and add the thick milk. Mix well and Cook for a few seconds.

Mrs.Mano
25th December 2009, 11:04 AM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the hearty wishes! I also wish you and your family a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I will post the chicken dosai recipe soon!!

Mrs.Mano
25th December 2009, 11:05 AM
[tscii:aa01781604]Dear Selvi!

Thank you very much for the wishes. I also wish you and yr family a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

And thanks a lot for the nice feedback on ‘spicy chicken gravy’.

[/tscii:aa01781604]

Selviem
26th December 2009, 12:29 AM
Dear Aunty,
thanks a lot aunty. waiting for ur chicken dosa receipe.

selvi

sinrultz
27th December 2009, 09:37 PM
Seasons Greetings to you!!!

Maa'm could please post a recipe for Fish Tikka?

Mrs.Mano
27th December 2009, 10:40 PM
Dear sinrultz!

Wish you a Very Happy new Year!!
I will post the recipe of'Fish Tikka' soon!

Mrs.Mano
27th December 2009, 10:42 PM
[tscii:4cdb509a07]Dear Dev!

Here is the recipe for chettinadu type chicken dosai. I am also posting two more recipes of ‘Chicken dosai’ for you!!

CHICKEN DOSAI-1:

Ingredients:

Shredded chicken- 3 cups
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Chopped cashed nuts- 1/4 cup
Fennel seeds- 1/2 sp
Black gram- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Coarsely ground red chillies-1 tsp
Finely chopped onion-1
Finely chopped sambar onions-1 cup
Cinnamon powder- 1/4 tsp
Crushed tomato- half cup
Small garlic flakes- 1/4 cup
Ginger paste- half sp
Lime juice- 11/2 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Coarsely ground pepper-3 tsp
Coarsely ground fennel powder- 1 tsp
Shredded chicken-750 gms
Salt to taste
Enough dosai batter and gingelly oil
Butter- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a big pan and pour the oil and the ghee. Add the black gram and when they start to splutter, add the fennel seeds, and the cashew nuts with the curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds. Then add the onions, garlic flakes and the ginger and fry them finely to golden brown. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry them until they are mashed well. Add the chicken, lime juice, red chillies and the cinnamon with little water and enough salt and cook them finely on medium fire. Lastly Sprinkle the pepper and fennel powder and cook until all the water in the chicken is evaporated. Add the butter, mix well and cook for a minute
When making dosa, spread the batter on the hot dosaikkal and pour either gingelly oil or butter around it. When it is cooked on one side to golden brown, flip it to the other side. Spread the chicken masala thinly on half of the dosai. Flip the other half and cover the chicken and press the dosai slightly. Spread a little more oil around the dosai. Now the delicious chicken dosai is ready!!!

[/tscii:4cdb509a07]

Mrs.Mano
27th December 2009, 10:44 PM
[tscii:6cb266c161]This is my innovative version on ‘ chicken dosai ’. This will be more delicious with less spices than the previous one.

CHICKEN DOSAI-2:

Ingredients:

Finely shredded chicken-3 cups
Finely chopped sambar onions-3 cups
Finely chopped coriander-half cup
Finely chopped mint leaves-2 tbsp
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Salt to taste
Oil-3 tbsp
Tomato thokku- 1/2 cup
Butter- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- half sp
Enough Dosai batter and gingelly oil.

Grind the following to a fine paste:

Red chillies-4, cinnamon-1” piece, small garlic flakes-6, ginger- 1 tsp and fennel seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Mix the butter and the tomato thokku well.
Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the onions and fry with the curry leaves to golden brown. Then add the ground paste with the chicken, turmeric powder and salt. Cook the chicken on medium fire until all the water is evaporated and the chicken is well cooked. Lastly add the greens and cook for a second.
When making dosa, spread the batter on the hot dosaikkal and pour either gingelly oil or butter around it. When it is cooked on one side to golden brown, flip it to the other side. Spread a thin layer of thokku butter mixture. Then spread thinly and evenly the chicken mixture on half of the dosai. Flip the other half and cover the chicken and press the dosai slightly. Pour a little oil around the dosai. Now the chicken dosai is ready.

[/tscii:6cb266c161]

Mrs.Mano
27th December 2009, 10:46 PM
CHICKEN DOSAI-3:

Ingredients:

Finely shredded chicken- 200 gms
Plain flour-1 cup
Dosai batter- 1 cup
Oil- 1 tbsp
Green chilli paste- 1 tsp
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Garlic paste-1 tsp
Onion paste- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Finely shred carrot [optional]-2 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add all the pastes and fry them on slow fire for a few seconds. Add the chicken with salt and fry until it is well cooked. When it is cooled add this to the dosai batter along with the flour, coriander and the carrot. Mix well and keep it covered for an hour. Then spread the batter as a small ooththappam on a hot dosaikkal and cook dosai as usual on both sides.

dev
27th December 2009, 11:08 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, thanks a lot for posting 3 varieties of chicken dosai... The dosai I had was some semi-dry chicken masala mixed with egg &spread on one side of the dosai add cooked ... just like egg dosai but with chicken-egg mix... I'll try chicken dosai 1 mixed with egg... recipe 2 looks more interesting with a tangy base...

Thanks again for the recipes...

Mrs.Mano
28th December 2009, 12:20 AM
Dear sinrultz!

In restaurants tandoori or oven baked fish kebabs are called 'Fish Tikka'. Steamed Fish with spices and mashed potato or breadcrumbs is shaped like patties or cutlets and deep fried in oil. They are also called as 'Fish Tikka'! Do tell me which type do you want to be posted.

suvai
29th December 2009, 01:23 AM
Dear mrs mano,
thank u for the second variety of paal vazhakaai...:-)
Will surely try it & give u the feed back.

Thank u nga for yr kind New Year Wishes!!!
I too take this to Wish You & all your Family a Very Happy New Year!!! May 2010 bring in more smiles & joy to your hearts!
regards,
s

Mrs.Mano
30th December 2009, 10:04 PM
I WISH ALL THE HUBBERS, MR.NOV, MR.HEMANT TRIVEDI AND MR.KUGAN A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!!

dev
30th December 2009, 10:42 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, I tried ur kuzhambu milagai thool for sprouts kuzhambu & it was awesome... Thanks a lot for the recipe...

dev
30th December 2009, 10:43 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, wish u & family a very happy, peaceful, prosperous 2010...:)

NOV
31st December 2009, 06:07 AM
:ty: Mrs Mano!

[html:624daa45e5]
http://www.ilkeryoldas.com/happy-new-year-wallpaper.jpg
[/html:624daa45e5]

to Mrs Mano and all readers/contributors of this thread!

kugan98
31st December 2009, 06:29 PM
MRS. Mano wishing you a very happy New Year.
May you be blessed with all the happiness in this world,
and more grandchildren to play with.
Thanks. Kugan98

dev
2nd January 2010, 12:26 PM
[tscii:2224af4119]Dear Mrs.Mano, I tried the ulab jamun recipe will reasonable success... Though the jamuns were soft, they lost their round shape after they cooled down...it was like dented allover... also when I cooked the jamuns in the syrup, some jamuns started breakingup...so I stopped cooking after 10 mins... what could be wrong... pls let me know ur thoughts on this... here is the recipe I followed...

GULAB JAMOON:

Ingredients

Plain flour- 3 tbsp
Full cream Milk powder- 8 tbsp
Soda bi carbonate- ¼ sp
Baking powder- ¼ sp
Cardamom powder- ½ tsp
Soft butter- 1 tbsp
Water- 2 to 3 tbsp

For the syrup:

Sugar- 2 cups
Water- 3 ½ cups

Procedure:

Sieve the milk powder, plain flour, soda-bi-carbonate, baking powder and cardamom powder thrice.
Then add the soft butter to it and mix well with the fingers like breadcrumbs.
Then add the water to make a soft dough.
The dough should be soft and shiny.
Do not give pressure when making the dough.
Then make small balls out of it.
Heat enough oil in a kadai.
The fire should be LOW.
Then fry the balls to a light brown colour.
This way, the balls will be fried fully.
Heat a vessel and pour 3 ½ cups of water with 2 cups of sugar to it.
When the sugar syrup starts to simmer, reduce the fire to medium and add the gulab jamuns to the syrup.
When adding the gulab jamuns, they should be still warm.
Cook the jamuns in the same medium heat for exactly 18 minutes.
This way, the gulab jamuns will be nicely cooked, and the syrup will be thickened to the correct consistency.
When frying the jamuns in oil, the balls should change into bigger size- they should double in size when simmering in the syrup- This is the correct procedure of making gulab jamuns. [/tscii:2224af4119]

Mrs.Mano
4th January 2010, 12:23 AM
[tscii:9738482434][/tscii:9738482434]Dear Dev!

Have you used a measuring spoon to measure the quantities of baking powder as well as soda bi carbonate? It must be leveled to quarter sp. If you have measured correctly, then you can add ¼ sp of baking powder instead of using soda bi carbonate. In this way, the jamoons will not be very soft.
But I always use these measurements since 1983 and these measurements yield very fine gulab jamoons till date.
The fire should not be low when you cook the jamoons in the syrup. If it is low, then the jamoons tend to break.

dev
4th January 2010, 03:30 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, thanks a lot for the clarification. I don't have a proper measuing spoon... so used the normal spoon... I'll get a measuring spoon & try it again. I cooked the jamuns in the syrup on medium flame as mentioned in the recipe.So it must be the measurements I believe. Let me try again. Thanks again...:)

suvai
8th January 2010, 06:11 AM
Dear mrs mano.....i tried yr keerai parupu kootu....& absolutely enjoyed it....thanks nga!
I am sure u must have tried saravana bhavan channa or chole for their batura.....athoda recipe onga kita iruntha podunga plz....& thanks nga!
Hope all is well.

Mrs.Mano
9th January 2010, 10:33 PM
Dear Suvai!

How are you? I do not know the recipe for "Saravana Bavan's channa". I only know the usual recipe.
Thanks a lot for the nice feed back on 'keerai paruppu koottu'.

suvai
9th January 2010, 10:40 PM
Dear mrs mano...........:-) i am well nga! Hope the same with u & especially your payren..:-)
No worries nga mrs mano if u dont have the channa masala recipe....

dev
11th January 2010, 06:29 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, wish you & family a very happy pongal!!!...:)

Mrs.Mano
12th January 2010, 08:36 AM
Dear Dev!

Thank a lot for the warm greetings!

I also wish you and yr family a very happy pongal!!

Mrs.Mano
12th January 2010, 08:41 AM
I WISH ALL THE FRIENDS HERE, ' A VERY VERY HAPPY PONGAL!!!'

sinrultz
14th January 2010, 12:08 AM
Sorry for the late rely..

Could you post the restaurant style oven baked Fish tikka recipe ma'am?

suvai
14th January 2010, 05:15 AM
Dear mrs mano!!!
Happy Pongal to you & your family ..ithu muthal Pongal for your payren :-) awesome!
Enjoy pannunga
s

Mrs.Mano
15th January 2010, 09:28 AM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the greetings!
My hearty wishes to you for a Happy Pongal!

dev
20th January 2010, 04:15 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, I made the gulab jamuns again...this time I used proper measuring spoons... & the jamuns tuned out fantastic...I don't think I'll go back to the store bought gulab jamun mix anymore...

Thanks a lot for the recipe & the tips...:bow: :)

dev
20th January 2010, 04:17 PM
Also prepared the kuzhambu masala & used it in a couple of kuzhambu with fantastic result... thanks again ma...:)

dev
22nd January 2010, 11:04 AM
Dear mrs.Mano, tried the idli sambar today... aahaa enna ruchi!!!...:slurp: Thanks a lot for the recipe...:)

Mrs.Mano
23rd January 2010, 06:32 PM
Dear Dev!

I regret for the delayed reply.

As I am in Tamilnadu now, I could open my laptop only today.

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on Gulab jamoon, kuzhambu podi and Idli sambar.

Regarding Gulab jamoon, I learnt this recipe from a friend who worked at a five star hotel. After fiding the delicious taste of this gulab jamoon, I never tried any other gulab jamoon recipe.

Mrs.Mano
23rd January 2010, 06:56 PM
[tscii:1e8b289c9d]I am going to post a few tasty recipes here!

RICE DAL SUNDAL:

Ingredients:

Split green gram- ¼ cup
Raw rice- ¾ cup
Shredded coconut- half cup to ¾ cup
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil-3 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 sp
Black gram- 2 tsp
Bengal gram- 1 tbsp
Red chillies-4
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Chopped coriander leaves- ¼ cup
asafoetida

Procedure:

Dry roast the green gram to golden brown.
Wash and cook it in plenty of water until it is cooked to its 3/4th.
Wash the rice and add it to the green gram.
Add enough salt.
Cook the rice until the rice is cooked to its 3/4th.
Drain the water completely.
Heat a pan and pour the oil.
Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the dals with the asafotida powder.
Fry them to golden brown.
Add the red chillies with the greens and fry for a few seconds.
Add the rice and mix well on slow fire.
Cook for a few seconds.
Put off the fire, add the coconut and mix well.

[/tscii:1e8b289c9d]

Mrs.Mano
23rd January 2010, 07:18 PM
[tscii:954390b8b3]RADISH TOMATO KURMA

Ingredients:

Big tomatoes-3
Young radish[medium]-2
Chilli powder- half sp
Coriander powder- ¼ sp
Turmeric powder- ¼ sp
Salt to taste
Sambar onions[cut in to half]-a handful
Chopped coriander-1/4 cup
Small garlic flakes-15
Cloves-2
Cinnamon-1
Cardamom-2
Oil-3 tbsp

Grind the following ingredients to a fine paste:

Shredded coconut-3 tbsp, fennel seeds- half sp, poppy seeds- half sp

Procedure:

Immerse the tomatoes in boiled water for 15 minutes.
Then remove the skins and crush them or grind them finely.
Add the cloves, cinnamon and the cardamom.
When they start to splutter add the sambar onions and fry them to golden brown.
Add the garlic flakes with the coriander leaves and fry for a few minutes.
Then cut the radishes in to small cubes and add them to this mixture.
Mix well and cook the radish in the pressure cooker for a whistle.
Take it away, pour it in the same pan with the tomato mixture.
Let it boil for a few minutes with the powders.
Add the salt and the ground paste.
Boil the kurma for a few minutes. [/font][/tscii:954390b8b3]

sonu gopi
23rd February 2010, 12:25 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano - I love going thru all your recipes - there are simply great. Thanks.

I am a great lover of gulam jamuns. I will definately try out your recipe following the tips and steps correctly.

Wish your recipes are accompanied with photos....that would be a real treat for food lovers all over the world..!!

Mrs.Mano
23rd February 2010, 04:34 PM
Dear Sonu!

Thanks a lot for the compliments as well as the nice suggestion. For the past 5 years I could not spend much time in the forumhub as I used to spend in the previous years due to family commitments and continuous travels. I hope I could post my new recipes regularly from April onwards and would try to attach photos as you wish.
I will be much honoured if the viewers test my recipes and post here their experience with photos.

Mrs.Mano
23rd February 2010, 06:10 PM
[tscii:727f42d314][/tscii:727f42d314]I am posting here a tasty Briyani Recipe.

CHICKEN BRIYANI

Ingredients:

Chicken pieces-750gms
Briyani rice-2 ½ cups
Ginger paste-1 tbsp
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Chilli powder- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Ghee-half cup
Finely sliced onion-3
Finely crushed tomato-2
Slit Green chillies- 5
Chopped coriander-1 cup
Chopped mint leaves- 1 cup
Curd-3 tbsp

Powder coarsely the following ingredients:

Cinnamon-1” piece, cloves-3, cardamom-3. fennel seeds- half sp

Cashew nuts-5, poppy seeds-1 sp, shredded coconut-4 tbsp
Lemon juice-1 1/2 tbsp

Procedure:

Wash the rice and soak in enough water.
Heat a vessel and pour the ghee. Add the onion and fry it to golden brown.
Add the ginger garlic pastes and fry them well.
Add the ground powder and fry for a few seconds.
Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry them until the tomatoes are well mashed and the ghee floats on top.
Add the washed chicken pieces with enough salt and cook on medium fire.
Add the curd, greens and the chilli powder.
Cook the chicken until it is done and all the water is evaporated..
Lastly add the lime juice and cook for a few seconds.
Add 5 cups of water with the rice.
When the rice is half done add enough salt.
When all the water is evaporated keep the briyani in dhum for 20 minutes in the gas oven.
Pour ghee around the sides in intervals.
Serve hot with onion curd salad.

dev
23rd February 2010, 07:10 PM
WOW, biriyani recipe... will try it when i get a chance to...:) & I'm so very happy to know tht u'll get more time for the hub from April...:)

Selviem
23rd February 2010, 08:37 PM
Dear Aunty,
nice bryani receipe. one doubt, whenever i make chicken bryani, i feel that masala is not absorbed by the chicken. i donot know why it happens for me. now i will try ur receipe, (may be next weekend) and let u know.

then, how r u? when r u coming back, hope u r busy with ur work there. our regards to everyone. how is the little one?

take care aunty

sonu gopi
25th February 2010, 02:35 PM
[tscii:d027d2e012][/tscii:d027d2e012]I am posting here a tasty Briyani Recipe.

CHICKEN BRIYANI

Ingredients:

Chicken pieces-750gms
Briyani rice-2 ½ cups
Ginger paste-1 tbsp
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Chilli powder- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Ghee-half cup
Finely sliced onion-3
Finely crushed tomato-2
Slit Green chillies- 5
Chopped coriander-1 cup
Curd-3 tbsp

Powder coarsely the following ingredients:

Cinnamon-1” piece, cloves-3, cardamom-3. fennel seeds- half sp

Cashew nuts-5, poppy seeds-1 sp, shredded coconut-4 tbsp
Lemon juice-1 1/2 tbsp

Procedure:

Wash the rice and soak in enough water.
Heat a vessel and pour the ghee. Add the onion and fry it to golden brown.
Add the ginger garlic pastes and fry them well.
Add the ground powder and fry for a few seconds.
Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry them until the tomatoes are well mashed and the ghee floats on top.
Add the washed chicken pieces with enough salt and cook on medium fire.
Add the curd, greens and the chilli powder.
Cook the chicken until it is done and all the water is evaporated..
Lastly add the lime juice and cook for a few seconds.
Add 5 cups of water with the rice.
When the rice is half done add enough salt.
When all the water is evaporated keep the briyani in dhum for 20 minutes in the gas oven.
Pour ghee around the sides in intervals.
Serve hot with onion curd salad.

Thanks for the Briyani recipe.....I think u must have missed out a few lines. How do you proceed after the 5 cups of water is added to the rice and later with salt ....apporam??? The rice is very plain... The chicken preparation is excellent.....do we combine them alternately as how we normally do for our normal briyani preparation??? :)

You said soak the rice with enough water...is it the same water we are to cook the rice later? I know if we leave rice longer in water the cooked rice turns out very light & fluffy... :wink:

sonu gopi
25th February 2010, 02:38 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano - just came to know that you have become a very proud patti. All the best and congratulations to u and your family members..!!

Mrs.Mano
2nd March 2010, 11:32 AM
Dear Dev!

I have just returned back from Tamilnadu to my residential sity, Sharjah. I think I could be busy in the forumhub after a week's rest. Thanks for the kind words!

Mrs.Mano
2nd March 2010, 11:59 AM
Dear Selvi!

I returned back to Sharjah after a month's tight schedule and now I am longing for a few day's complete rest. My loving grandson is fast growing and his smile is charming!

About chicken briyani- after preparing the thickened chicken briyani masala, take them away and pour the water in the same vessel, add rice and cook until it is done to 3/4th and all the water is evaporated. Then put off the fire, spread the chicken masala evenly on top, sprinkle some ghee around the sides and keep it in 'dhum' for ten minutes. After 10 minutes, mix well the rice with the masala carefully and again pour some ghee and again keep it in 'dhum' for 10 minutes. In this way, you can get masala coated chicken in the briyani. In the above briyani recipe also, you can do like that.

Mrs.Mano
2nd March 2010, 12:10 PM
Dear Sonu!

Thank you very much for yr nice wishes. It is a wonderful experience to be in a role of a grandmother! I really love and cherish it!

Coming back to chicken briyani-

I have written that water and rice should be added to the thickened chicken briyani masala. On medium fire the rice should be cooked in the water with the chciken and its masala. please go through the recipe agaion and you will understand this. Or you can prepare the briyani in the method which I have written above to Selvi.
You can cook with the water in which the rice is soaked.

Selviem
2nd March 2010, 11:35 PM
thanks aunty, i will try and let u know.

coz of rain and flood kids are at home. schools are closing by 8th march and they will be at home for one month

sinrultz
4th March 2010, 03:09 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

I know you must be very busy with your grandchild these days..miss your wonderful recipes of late.

Would like to remind you for the Tandoori fish recipe when you get a chance to post it. Also if time permits could you give us some soup recipes like vegetable, sweet corn soup ect.

Thanking you in advance,
Sindura

suvai
4th March 2010, 07:06 AM
Hello nga mrs mano,
glad u r back from yr trip & that u will be active on thread after a week.
hope all is well with u.
take care
regards,
s

dev
4th March 2010, 06:42 PM
Dear Dev!

I have just returned back from Tamilnadu to my residential sity, Sharjah. I think I could be busy in the forumhub after a week's rest. Thanks for the kind words!

nalla rest eduthittu vaanga...:)

Mrs.Mano
4th March 2010, 06:52 PM
Dear Sindura!

Here is the recipe for tandoor fish. I have added some extra ingredients to enhance the flavour. I will soon post the recipes of soups!!

TANDOORI FISH:

Ingredients:

Any type of fish like Salmon, Red snapper, etc-6 slices
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
lime juice-1 tbsp

grind the following to a paste:

Small onions-6, fennel seeds-half sp, garlic flakes-8, shredded ginger- half sp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Wash the fish slices well.
Marinate the cleaned fish slices with the ground paste, powders, salt and the lime juice for 3 to 4 hours.
Remove the excess marinade, and place the fish in the preheated tandoor/grill.
Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Then turn the fish over and smear with oil
again cook for another 4 minutes or until it is done.
Brush the ungreased side with oil and return to tandoor / grill for another minute.

Mrs.Mano
4th March 2010, 06:53 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks for the nice welcome!
Hope you would have enjoyed yr trip to Tamilnadu.

Selviem
4th March 2010, 07:21 PM
aunty, thanks for tandoor fish, i will try it out and let u know. r u settled?

suvai
5th March 2010, 08:13 AM
Hello nga mrs mano,
oh yes nga i had a fabulous time....time ponathey therila.....sometimes i wish i could turn back the clock :D

sinrultz
9th March 2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks a ton maa'm..Will try out soon

Mrs.Mano
10th March 2010, 12:51 PM
[tscii:0bb3a6bac1]I have prepared a tasty dish a few days ago. I would like to share it here with my friends.

TAMARIND KICHADI:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 1 cup
Thuar dal-1/2 cup
Thinly Sliced onion-2
Finely chopped tomato-1
Mustard seeds- ½ sp
Cumin seeds- ½ sp
Turmeric powder-1/2 sp
Chopped coriander-1/4 cup
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Oil- 2 tbsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Asafetida powder- ½ tsp

Dry roast the following ingredients to golden brown and powder them finely:

Red chillies-3, coriander seeds- 1 tbsp, Bengal garm-1 tsp, fenugreek seeds-1 tsp

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for half an hour and extract its juice. Wash the rice and the dal, add 3 to 4 cups of water and pressure cook them for 5 whistles. Heat a pan and pour the ghee and the oil. When they become hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the cumin seeds and the curry leaves and then add the onion, tomato, turmeric powder and coriander leaves. Cook on medium fire until all of them are mashed well and the oil floats on top. Add the tamarind extract and boil it for some minutes. When it slightly thickens, add the fried powder and cook on slow fire for a few minutes. Now add the cooked rice and dal with enough salt. Mix well on slow fire for a few minutes.
[/tscii:0bb3a6bac1]

selvieam
10th March 2010, 08:32 PM
aunty,
i tried tandoori fish today, it came out very nicely. vishal liked it very much. he never like fish. this preparation he liked it.
thanks a lot aunty.

selvieam
10th March 2010, 08:33 PM
last week my neighbour made ur crab masala. i tasted the curry it was very nice. kids had food in their house they also liked it very much.

thanks aunty

suvai
14th March 2010, 08:00 PM
hello nga mrs mano.....nalla irukeengala?
I tried your horsegram masiyal & it turned out well nga....thanks for a super recipe! :-)

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2010, 01:03 PM
Dear Selvi!

I regret for the delayed reply.
I felt happy to know that Vishal liked the Tandoori fish very much though he never likes fish. That is a credit for me. Say my thanks to him. Last month, my daughter in law also ate the fried fish [viral meen] and liked it very much though she never likes the fish!!
And thanks a lot for the feed back on Crab masala also.

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2010, 01:05 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on Kollu masiyal. I am ok. I am tied up with extra work loads as my grandson and daughter in law are coming next week.

Mrs.Mano
16th March 2010, 02:17 PM
[tscii:5d3b01c478][/tscii:5d3b01c478]Dear Sindura!

Here I am posting a few soup recipes for you!

SWEET CORN SOUP

Ingredients:

Vegetable stock or water-8 cups
Corn cooked with salt-2 cups
Sugar- 1 tbsp
Aji-no-moto-a pinch
Corn flour-3 tbsp
Soya sauce- half sp
Salt to taste

For Stock preparation:

Small Capsicums, chopped-2
Medium potato, chopped-1
Raw rice- 3 tbsp
Water- 10 cups
Onion chopped-1
Salt to taste

Procedure:

For stock:

Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan. Cover and bring it to boil. Let it boil until the rice and the vegetables are cooked. Strain the stock.

For the Soup:

In a sauce pan combine the corns and 4 cups of stock. Boil it for 10 minutes on medium fire. Crush finely half of the corn mixture in a mixi and again pour it to the corn mixture. Mix the remaining stock well with the corn flour and bring it to boil in another saucepan. Stirring all the time, cook it until it becomes transparent, and add the corn mixture, salt and the sugar. Cook until it starts boiling and then put off the fire. At the time of serving, add the aji-no-moto and the soya sauce. Serve hot with chilli vinegar and chilli sauce.

Note: For extra taste, 1/4tsp of white pepper powder and 1/4tsp of ginger paste can be added when the soup is boiling. Beaten white egg can be poured in the last stage.

SWEET AND SOUR SOUP:

Ingredients:

Salad oil or olive oil- 2 tbsp
Finely shredded mixed vegetables like spring onion,
Cabbage, beans, carrot, mushrooms – 2 cups
Soy sauce- 2tsp
chilli sauce- 1 tbsp
crushed garlic and ginger- half sp
aji-no-moto- 2 pinches
Pepper powder-1/4 sp
Sugar- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Corn flour- 2 tbsp
Stock-8 cups
Vinegar- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add 1/4sp of garlic-ginger, vegetables, a pinch of aji-no-moto and salt. Toss them on high fire for 5 minutes and take them away.
Add 7 cups of stock, soy sauce, pepper powder, vinegar, sugar, salt and the remaining aji-no-moto and ginger-garlic. Boil the soup for 2 minutes. Mix the corn flour with the remaining stock and pour it slowly to the boiling mixture stirring continuously. Add the vegetables and boil for 2 minutes on medium fire.

My Blogs:

http://www.manoskitchen.blogspot.com/
http://www.muthukuviyal.blogspot.com/

suvai
16th March 2010, 08:13 PM
hello nga mrs mano.....muthukuviyal la neenga varaintha padam paarthu migavum asanthu poiten....super expression on the kid.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dev
16th March 2010, 08:16 PM
Mrs.Mano, thanks a lot for the soup recipes... glad to see ur blog with drool worthy pics...:slurp: Neenga super cooknu theriyumm... neenga paintinglayumm supernu ippo thaan theriyudhu...:D

selvieam
16th March 2010, 11:25 PM
aunty,

i saw ur blog, really too good.baby is so cute. well done, good job aunty. keep it up.

suvai
16th March 2010, 11:35 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on Kollu masiyal. I am ok. I am tied up with extra work loads as my grandson and daughter in law are coming next week.

aahaaa peran varaaraa veetiku along with mother???? apo kandipa veetila mega celebrations thaanga....:-) enjoy!

Mrs.Mano
18th March 2010, 09:59 AM
Dev, Suvai, Selvi!

My heartiest thanks to all of you for the nice compliments about my blog as well as my painting.

kugan98
19th March 2010, 12:05 PM
Congrats Mrs. Mano, you have a super blog.
May your blog grow for many more years to come.
Thanks. Kugan98

Suja Rajkumar
19th March 2010, 05:44 PM
Mrs. Mano,
Congrats on your blog. I have been a silent follower of your recipes for a long time. Your Kushka rice is always a hit at my home. All the very best to your new blog.

Suja Rajkumar

Mrs.Mano
19th March 2010, 06:34 PM
Dear Kugan!

It is great pleasure to have yr wishes.
Thanks a lot for your encouraging lines!

Mrs.Mano
19th March 2010, 06:38 PM
Dear Suja Rajkumar!

It is a great satisfaction to have so many loving followers for my recipes here as you.
My heartiest thanks for yr kind wishes.

sonu gopi
20th March 2010, 04:11 PM
Dear Sonu!

Thank you very much for yr nice wishes. It is a wonderful experience to be in a role of a grandmother! I really love and cherish it!

Coming back to chicken briyani-

I have written that water and rice should be added to the thickened chicken briyani masala. On medium fire the rice should be cooked in the water with the chciken and its masala. please go through the recipe agaion and you will understand this. Or you can prepare the briyani in the method which I have written above to Selvi.
You can cook with the water in which the rice is soaked.

Thanks Mrs. Mano - sorry I got confused... :oops: In other words we are adding the rice+water with the cooked chicken + gravy... :D

sonu gopi
20th March 2010, 04:42 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano - I ate some nice soft Mothakams at a friend's place. It so was tasty and had a light coat of oil on the outer skin of the mothakam. The fillings are just right and the dhall was not overcooked or undercooked. The sweetness was just right too and they simply melt in our mouth. She always makes them and sends it to the Vinayagar temple near here whenever she wants esp.on Fridays.. :)

I have asked her a couple of times to show me how to make it but she always gives so many excuses. She told me she will send it to my home whenever she makes it or I could place an order from her. I know she doesn't want to part with her secret recipe so I decided not to pursue anymore. :(

I thought of you and Kugan - I hope you wud let me know how to make it - I am so crazy for mothakams esp. when its so soft (not thick) and not breakable like the ones my friend does. Btw you cannot never see any hairline cracks on her mothakams - its that perfect. Lucky Lord Vinayagar..!!! :thumbsup:

In some temples I have gone - the mothakams were either too thick or soggy and the fillings not tasty (very bland). I then realised that it takes an expert to make such perfect mothakams. :huh:

Mrs.Mano
22nd March 2010, 12:44 AM
[tscii:9513519092]Dear Sonu!

It is true that most people would not like to part away with their cooking secrets. Only a few people are willing to share their recipes with others.

Regarding mothakam, we must prepare the flout for it. Soak the raw rice for an hour, drain the water completely and dry the rice on a white cloth in the shade of our house. Do not dry them by using fan. When they are almost dried, pound the rice in to fine flour. Sieve the flour thrice. Then put it in a cloth, bring the corners to the center and tie it, steam the flour for 15 minutes. When cooled, spread the flour on the cloth, completely cool the flour and then again sieve it finely. Then you can store it in a jar. This flour is called as ‘idiyappa maavu’ or ‘pathappaduthtiya maavu. You can keep this for more than a year. In native place, for making this flour, people use ‘maavu arisi’ [IR20 raw rice]. This rice will give rich white colour and much softness to the palakarams. This flour is always used for making idiyappams, putt varieties, kozhukkattai and mothakams. If we make the kozhukkattai maavu in to a soft texture, the mothakams or kozhukkattai will become soft and glossy without any cracks.

MOTHAKAM:

Ingredients:

Kozhukkattai maavu-1 ½ cups
Salt-1/4 tsp
Oil- 1 ½ sp
Water- 1 ½ to 2 cups
Shredded coconut-1 cup
Mashed jaggery- 1 cup
Ghee- 1 tsp
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Prepare a ‘kambi paagu’ with the jaggery.
Add the coconut with the ghee and the cardamom powder.
Cook it until it is thickened.
Let it cool down.
Sieve the flour with salt.
Put it on a broad bowl and pour the oil.
Boil the water.
Pour it to the flour slowly mixing well all the way.
If the water is not sufficient, boil a little more water.
Knead it to a soft dough.
Make a small ball and flatten it thinly on a plantain leaf piece which is greased with gingelly oil.
Put a spoon of pooranam on it.
Bring all the corners to the center and press well in the center which will look like a ‘gopuram’.
There are so many moulds for making ‘mothakams’ nowadays.
Steam the mothakams for 10 minutes.
NB: there are so many varieties in ‘pooranams’. I have written here a simple one.

My blogs:

www.manoskitchen.blogspot.com
www.muthukuviyal.blogspot.com

[/tscii:9513519092]

geecee
22nd March 2010, 10:54 PM
Hello Mrs.Mano,

Few days back saw this site while looking for authentic Tamillian recipes and immediately registered. I saw your huge collection and am amazed .. so many are there !
Am very eager to copy all of them and try out one by one.

See you later with my first feedback :)

Gee.

Mrs.Mano
23rd March 2010, 11:24 AM
Dear geecee!

Welcome to Forumhub!

I have posted here lots of recipes with greatest enthusiasm and sincerity for the past 6 years. But what gives me most pleasure and satisfaction is the viewer's feedback after trying my recipes.

I am also eagerly waiting for yr first feedback here!

selvieam
29th March 2010, 05:26 PM
aunty,
what is the difference between sambar satham and kadhamba sadham. i saw the both the receipes , i want to try kadhamba sadham. taste will be different. please let me know.

selvieam
29th March 2010, 05:27 PM
aunty,

also i saw kadappa receipe. can we try that with kadalai paruppu?

Mrs.Mano
30th March 2010, 11:58 AM
Dear Selvi!

I regret for the delay in replying you.

The differences between sambar sadham and kadhamba sadham are the spices and the vegetables. Coconut is also added in kadhamba sadham.

The Kadappa is a delicious dish and could be a suitable side dish for dosa as wella s chappaathi.

Selvi! I really appreciate your immense interest in cookery. I also admire your careful and devoted upbringing of your children especially with culinary interests.

Selvi! Could you post your vendaikkai pachadi here about which we have discussed in our conversation?

Mrs.Mano
30th March 2010, 12:21 PM
SROUTS CABBAGE PORIYAL:

Ingredients:

Green gram sprouts- 1 cup
Finely shredded cabbage- 3 to 4 cups
Finely chopped green chilles-2
Finely sliced onion-2
Finely sliced capsicum-1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Oil-2 tbsp
Shredded coconut- 3 tbsp
Chopped coriander- half cup

Procedure:

Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
When they splutter, add the black gram and the asafetida powder.
Fry them on slow fire for a few seconds and then add the onion and the green chillies.
Fry them for a few seconds.
Add the sprouts and the cabbage and cook without adding water for a few minutes.
When the vegetables are half done add the capsicum and the salt.
Cook for a few seconds.
Sprinkle the coconut and the coriander leaves.
Toss for a second and then serve.

Mrs.Mano
30th March 2010, 12:22 PM
APPLE DATE THIRATTUPAL

Ingredients:

Milk- 11/2 liters
Red Apple-2 to 3
Date-10 pieces
Saffron-a pinch
Sugar- half cup
Ghee-2 tbsp
Sliced almonds-1 tbsp
Chopped cashew nuts- 1 tbsp
Raisins-2 tbsp

Procedure:

Pour the milk in a big pan and boil it until it is thickened to half of the quantity.
Shred the apple and chop the dates finely and add them to the boiling milk.
Add the saffron and cook it continuously on medium fire.
Add the sugar and mix well.
Fry the nuts and the raisins in the ghee to golden brown and add them to the boiling milk.
When the milk is thickened, take it away from the pan and cool it in the fridge.

selvieam
30th March 2010, 03:14 PM
dear aunty,

thanks a lot for clearing my doubts. i want to try those receipes at the earliest. sambar sadham is all time hit in our house. i want to try kadhamba sadham this week.Next full week kids are at home, after that back to school.

Thanks for ur words, i want to bring my children how my mom brought us. That time, i was thinking why my mom is doing with us like that. but now, i really proud of her, she taught everything to us apart from studies.

when people like u appreciate us, i really feel very happy and all the credit goes to my mom only.

thanks a looooooooooooot aunty.

Aunty tonight i will post the vendaikai patchadi.

selvieam
30th March 2010, 03:17 PM
i will try kadappa next time and dates apple thirattupal is very new, i will try and let u know. vishal asked to me make sweet and snacks.

in these holidays, i made ribbon pakoda, thattai, murukku and banana chips for them.

now they want me to make maida biscults(diamond -sweet) and laddu.

selvieam
31st March 2010, 05:31 PM
Goes well for paruppu kulumabu.

Vendaikai puli patchadi:
========================

drunstick - 2 , cut in to 3 cm each
brinjal - 5 medium size, cut into small squares
lady's finger - 10 to 15 cut into 1/2 cm each
tamarind extract - from lemon size of tamarind
[Optional:
--------
peerkangai - 1 small, cut into small squares
valakai - 1 small, cut into small squares
motchai - 1 handful
double beans - 1 handful]

in a kadai, add 2 tsp of oil add kadukku, urad dhal, vadagam, one red chilly, 2 medium size onion chopped, curry leaves. stir fry for 2 mins. then add medium size tomato chopped, lady's finger, fry for 2 to 3 mins and keep it aside.

in a vessel, add the tamarind extract, once it comes to boil add vegetables except lady's finger. add salt, turmeric powder.
sambar - 2tblsp or redchilly powder - 1 1/2 tsp and coriander powder - 2 tsp
cover and cook. when the vegetable are 75% done add the lady's finger mixture to the veges. cover and cook nicely.

now make a coarse paste from 3 tblsp of coconut, 1/2 tsp jeera, 2 cloves of garlic and transfer to vege mixture. allow it to cook for sometime. once it is done, remove from fire.

this can be served with paruppu kulambu. basic vege is drumstick, lady's finger and brinjal.

options are
----------
1. only lady's finger
2. lady's finger and brinjal
3. lady'sfinger, brinjal, peerkangai
4. lady'sfinger, brinjal, valakai, drumstick
5. some fresh beans (soya, double beans, mochai etc.)

puli should be mild.

aunty try this and let me know.

Mrs.Mano
1st April 2010, 08:32 AM
Dear Selvi!

Thanks for posting here yr nice recipe.

Your appa and amma always used to appreciate me on my recipes and my upbringing of my son. Whenever I happen to meet good and devoted young mothers, I never fail to praise them because I know fully well how much happiness we get when we are praised on our good things.

selvieam
1st April 2010, 02:56 PM
u r exactly right aunty

suvai
2nd April 2010, 09:43 PM
vanakam nga mrs mano.....hope yr grandson/u & all at home are well....:-)

onga kita "aravana payasam" ngra recipe irunthaa podunga plz......it is a kerala dessert...& its very delicious...ilaina no worries.

thanks nga!

suvai
2nd April 2010, 10:09 PM
mrs mano.....i tried your pongal & it came out deliciously & paathiram kaali totally :mrgreen:
thank u for yet another super recipe nga!

Mrs.Mano
6th April 2010, 10:29 AM
[tscii:0903741e0f]Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on ‘Pongal’. Is it sarkkarai pongal or paruppu pongal?

Here is the recipe for ‘Aravana payasam’.

ARAVANA PAYASAM:

Ingredients:

Rice - 1 cup
Ghee - half cup
jaggery – 1 ½ cups
cardomom powder - 1 tsp
raisins – 1 tbsp
cashew – 15
Slivers of coconut- 2 tbsp
Small kalkandu- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Wash rice and drain the water.
Dry them in a cloth for half an hour.
Fry them in a tbsp of ghee to golden brown.
Cook the rice to a smooth texture by adding enough water.
Add 3 tbsp of ghee to the rice now and blend the rice and ghee on low flame.
Add mashed jaggery to this rice and cook for a few minutes until everything is well blended.
Add rest of the ghee
Garnish with fried raisins, cashew nuts, coconut slivers and kalkandu.
[/tscii:0903741e0f]

geecee
7th April 2010, 01:28 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I made your recipe of WHEAT KULKANDH last week and it was very very delicious. My family enjoyed it very much and have asked for it again this weekend :)

As it is very easy recipe , measurements were perfect and quick to make also, a very good one to have in hand even when sudden guests come.

Thanks for sharing your recipes here.

Have a lovely day .

Gee.

geecee
7th April 2010, 01:31 AM
Oh, I forgot to ask you Mrs.Mano, if you've posted recipe to make the biscuits called 'varukki' popular in Coonoor / Ooty ? I went thro' the index of recipes , but couldn't find it in any name.

When you have some free time, could you please post how to make those Ooty varukki biscuits ?

Thanks again.

suvai
7th April 2010, 06:55 AM
Dear mrs mano....thank u so very much for posting the recipe of aravana payasam......neenga try panni irukeengalaa? I had it at a temple....& the taste was just out of this world....thanks nga once again for it....:-)

I tried yr parupu pongal ....exact measurements & method & it turned out super o super.....thank u & to dev too...avanga thaan sonaanga onga recipe super ah irukum nu...:-)

suvai
7th April 2010, 06:58 AM
That is an interesting request for varuki nga geecee...:-)............ would be happy if it didnt have eggs....will wait for the recipe from mrs mano :mrgreen:

Mrs.Mano
10th April 2010, 11:56 AM
Dear Geecee!

Thanks a lot for the nice fedback on 'Wheat gulkandh'. Yes, it is a very simple but delicious sweet.

I do not know the recipe for 'Varukki'. I have asked some of my keralite friends also. they also do not know its recipe. If I come across the recipe, I will post it down here.

Mrs.Mano
10th April 2010, 12:04 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for the feedback on paruppu pongal. I have never tried the aravana payasam. I got this recipe from one of my keralite friend. The ingredients seem very tempting and I will try it soon.

suvai
11th April 2010, 04:57 AM
Dear mrs mano.......thippa rotti/thippa kaLi/naa ethanaala seiyapathunga?...not sure about the pronunciation either...not even sure which language...:mrgreen:...
if u have any idea of a recipe plz do share...thank u nga!

Mrs.Mano
12th April 2010, 11:23 AM
Dear Suvai!

It is surprising that you know about Thippa roti. How do you know about this dish? It is a very old one. This is my favourite dish also.

I do not know about Thippa kali. But I do know about Thippa roti. It is a very tasty dish. Just we must prepare like thick adai. There is no need to go for any other side dish other than Coconut chutney. But Tomato chutney or Tomato thokku will be more suitable than coconut chutney. Selvi had already asked for it. I am posting here this recipe for both of you!

THIPPA ROTI:

Ingredients:
Raw rice rawa- 3 cups
Black gram- 1 cup
Peppercorns- 1 tsp
Fresh curd- 1 cup
Bengal gram- half cup
Finely sliced onion-1 cup
Shredded coconut- half cup
Curry leaves- a handful
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the black gram in enough water for 2 hours.
Wash the rawa and drain the water completely.
Add the pepeprcorns, Bengal gram and the curd with enough salt.
Mix well and keep it covered for an hour.
Grind the black gram smoothly and mix this with the rice rawa along with the greens, shredded coconut and sliced onions.
Thippa rotti can be made immediately or after one hour.
The batter should be thicker than the adai maavu
Heat a tawa, spread one big spoonful of better in to 2 cm thickness.
Pour gingelly oil around it.
Cover with a suitable lid and cook on slow fire.
When the bottom side is cooked to golden brown, flip the thippa roti to other side.
Do not cover with the lid this time.
Cook the other side to crisp and golden brown also

selvieam
12th April 2010, 08:43 PM
thanks aunty i will try thippa roti and let u know. some doubts are there, i will call u and clear it.

geecee
12th April 2010, 10:03 PM
That's ok Mrs.Mano. When you come across the recipe, please do share here.

I tried your chettinad chicken kuzhambu this weekend and we were very very thrilled with the delicious taste. I've tried many recipes before & either masala will be too strong or will become too watery . Some how the taste won't be correct.

But your recipe the amount of ingredients & the proportion was just right , so the taste was very very satisfying.

Thanks a TON for such accurate recipe.

Regards,
Gee.

suvai
13th April 2010, 04:24 AM
Dear mrs mano.....:-) u r awesome for posting the thippa roti....actually a friend of mine mentioned about it while conversing & thats how i ended up enquiring...:-) Will surely try it & let u know soon....nga.
Not sure why they call thippa......very interesting ingri's & proportions nga.....thanks once again.

suvai
13th April 2010, 04:27 AM
geecee would u mind posting the page in which u have found wheat gulkand...thanks in advance.

suvai
13th April 2010, 05:39 AM
:cheer: Iniya Puthaandu Vaazhthukal nga mrs mano to you & to your family :cheer:

geecee
13th April 2010, 08:33 AM
[tscii:581741da4e]
Hi Suvai,

In this link, http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5637, go down to the post by one hubber called Rajshank. She has given Mrs.Mano's complete collections in this link http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/mrs.mano/corrected_recipes_of_Mrs_Mano.doc

which I've saved, but am printing in order like gravy item, tiffin item etc. because the different category is all mixed up.

The Wheat Kulkandh recipe is there after idli sambar and before Gulabjamun.

I'm re-posting it here for you to try & enjoy :)

WHEAT KULKANDH:
Heat ¾ cup of ghee in a kadai until it is melted.
Then add 1 cup of wheat flour and fry it to a light brown colour.
The fire should be low.
Then add 1 cup of sugar to it and mix well.
Then add 1 cup of boiled thick milk to it and mix well.
Add 1sp cardamom powder and fried cashew nuts to it.
Cook until it thickens.

Bye.

[/tscii:581741da4e]

Mrs.Mano
13th April 2010, 09:38 PM
அன்புள்ள சுவை!

புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கு என் இதயங்கனிந்த நன்றி!
உங்களுக்கும் உங்கள் மகனுக்கும் என் இனிய புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள்!!

Mrs.Mano
13th April 2010, 09:39 PM
I WISH ALL MY FRIENDS A VERY HAPPY TAMIL NEW YEAR!!

Mrs.Mano
28th April 2010, 04:16 PM
Dear geecee!

Thanks a lot for yr nice feedback
on 'Chettinadu chicken kuzhambu'! I have posted a detailed reply to your inbox.

Mrs.Mano
28th April 2010, 04:19 PM
[tscii:084eac860b]I am posting here two interesting recipes which are delicious for breakfast.

GREENGRAM SEMOLINA PONGAL:

Ingredients:

Semolina-2 ½ cups
Green gram- 1 cup
Asafetida- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Curry leaves- 2 arc
Coarse pepper powder- 1 tsp
Cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
Ghee- half cup
Coarse cumin powder-1 tsp
Chopped coriander- half cup
Slit green chillies-3
Shredded ginger- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water-5 cups

Procedure:

Cook the green gram with the asafetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves until it is almost done.
Heat a small pan and pour the ghee.
On slow fire fry the cashew nuts to golden brown.
Then add the cumin, pepper, green chillies and the ginger.
Fry for a few seconds.
Add the coriander leaves and mix well.
Keep aside.
Heat a pan and add the water with enough salt.
When the water starts boiling sprinkle the semolina evenly in intervals.
When the semolina is almost cooked and all the water is evaporated, add the cooked green gram and the tempering.
Mix on slow fire for a few minutes until all the ingredients are blended smoothly.

My blogs:

www.muthusidharal.blogspot.com
www.manoskitchen.blogspot.com[/tscii:084eac860b]

Mrs.Mano
28th April 2010, 04:23 PM
BOTTLE GOURD KADAIYAL:

Ingredients:

Finely cut Bottle gourd- 3 cups
Chopped coriander- 3 tbsp
Finely chopped onion-half cup
Finely crushed tomato- half cup
Slit green chillies-3
Sambar powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil-4 tbsp
Tamarind- a gooseberry size
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Curry leaves- 2 arc

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in enough water for half an hour and then extract its juice.
Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the onion, asafetida, tomato, curry leaves and the coriander.
Fry them for a few minutes.
Then add the bottle gourd pieces and fry for a few minutes.
Add the tamarind extract with the turmeric powder, sambar powder and enough salt.
Transfer this to a pressure pan and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
When cooled mash the vegetables finely.
This is an excellent accompaniment for this semolina pongal, idli, dosa and paruppu pongal!

geecee
1st May 2010, 02:09 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thanks for your mail :)

I have one tiny doubt in this pongal recipe, does green gram mean the whole 'pachai payaru' ?? Or is it 'payatham paruppu' ?
If it is 'pachai payaru' we need to soak it overnight, right ?
I'm little confused here :D

Thanks,
Gee.

Mrs.Mano
1st May 2010, 02:33 PM
Dear Geecee!

Payaththamparuppu and paasipparuppu or paasipayaru are all the same. I have mentioned here the split green gram. You can cook directly as I have mentioned here. There is no need to soak overnight. Hope this explanation will help.

geecee
2nd May 2010, 07:47 AM
Yes Mrs.Mano, got it now :)

Thanks.

suvai
9th May 2010, 07:49 PM
Happy Mother's Day to you nga mrs mano...:-)

Have you heard of a sweet named " Stickjaw" its mostly made in convents & its a special sweet prepared by nuns. If you get hold of it, kindly do post nga.
Thank you in advance.

Mrs.Mano
10th May 2010, 12:13 PM
Dear Suvai!

I have never tasted or tried this sweet. You can see the recipe in the following link.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Tameletjies-Stickjaw-126671

I have just mailed my reply to you.

Mrs.Mano
10th May 2010, 12:15 PM
Recently I have tried a tasty dish.. I am posting it here for the viewers.

EGG ADAI:

Ingredients:

Egg-1
Black gram- 1 tbsp
Bengal gram- 1 tbsp
Thinly sliced onion-2
Finely chopped green chilli-1
Chopped coriander- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Roast the dals and powder them finely.
Beat the egg and add the powders with enough salt.
Again beat it slightly.
Add onion, coriander and green chilli to it.
Mix well.
Heat a tawa and pour the egg mixture evenly and thinly.
Pour a little oil around it.
When the bottom side is cooked, flip it to the other side and cook to golden brown.

suvai
11th May 2010, 08:10 AM
Dear mrs mano..........thank u for the link....this recipe sounds veryyyyy simple with simple ingredients.....will give it a try...thanks nga :-)

ani
18th May 2010, 04:15 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I am logging in back after a long time. Have got your recipes sometime back if you remember. I tried your Paruppu Urandai Kulambu and Sarkarrai Pongal last weekend..Came out well...Sarkarrai pongal was very nice...

I seem to be getting interested in learning new dishes and trying them out with the days nearing to handle my first baby..........

I saw some custard preparation being served with fruits in the TV and i really felt like having it....Can you post me the recipe for Custard, how to make it ?????

Mrs.Mano
22nd May 2010, 12:39 PM
[tscii:dd3ca46a14]Dear Ani!

I remember you!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on ‘sarkkarai pongal’ and ‘ paruppu urundai kuzambu’!

Here is the recipe of ‘Custard’ for you! This is called as ‘Boiled Custard’. It is easy if you buy ‘custard powder’ in the shop and make it according to its instructions. This custard is served normally with desserts and fruits.
I will post a dessert recipe using custard if you want.

BOILED CUSTARD;

Ingredients:

Milk- 1 cup
Sugar- 1 tsp
Egg-1
Rose essence- a few drops

Procedure:

Beat the egg and sugar together.
Heat the milk.
Take 3 tbsp of milk and mix well with the egg mixture.
Return it to the hot milk.
Stir until the mixture coats the spoon.
Do not boil.
Remove from the heat and add the essence.
When it is cooled down, keep in the fridge for further use.
[/tscii:dd3ca46a14]

suvai
22nd May 2010, 07:19 PM
Dear mrs mano.....i tried the stickjaw recipe.....this sure is an addition to my recipe counts...;-)....thank u for the link once again nga.....hope all is well....:-)

suvai
23rd May 2010, 07:21 PM
Hello nga mrs mano........what is padaneer? & could you post any recipe using it?
thank u nga in advance!

NOV
23rd May 2010, 07:27 PM
what is padaneer?
palm wine, toddy or kallu :rotfl:

could you post any recipe using it? thengai paal appam is best made with toddy. :slurp:

suvai
23rd May 2010, 07:33 PM
nov ngov....i knew u wld surely come up with an answer nu ;-)

suvai
23rd May 2010, 07:35 PM
what is padaneer?
palm wine, toddy or kallu :rotfl:

could you post any recipe using it? thengai paal appam is best made with toddy. :slurp:

padaneer = toddy ya?? :noteeth: :noteeth: sareyaa pochi....toddy ku naan engey poven....onga ooruko/mrs mano ooruko / or toddy ooruko thaan poganum
:noteeth: :noteeth:

NOV
23rd May 2010, 07:44 PM
mrs mano oorula all liquor banned :poke:

dev
23rd May 2010, 08:31 PM
:lol2:

rajraj
23rd May 2010, 10:51 PM
padaneer = toddy ya?? :noteeth: :noteeth: sareyaa pochi....toddy ku naan engey poven....onga ooruko/mrs mano ooruko / or toddy ooruko thaan poganum
:noteeth: :noteeth:

suvai: padhaneer is not toddy. Toddy is fermented sap from palm trees (panai maram or thennai maram). Unfermented sap is padhaneer. That you get during the summer in Tamilnadu and other states in the south. Fermented sap ( panamkaLLu or thennamkaLLu) is alchoholic and used to make appam and a form of rice. kaLLu gives a special flavor as wine in recipes! Next time you visit India ( in summer) try padhaneer in the morning. Whenever I visited my ancestral village during summers I used to wake up in the morning and walk to the nearest panai maram where they tapped padhaneer to get a leaf full of padha neer. They used to serve it in a dish made of palm leaves ! :)

See what we miss living in the west? And who can forget nongu in summer? :lol:

pavalamani pragasam
23rd May 2010, 10:59 PM
leaf-la kudikkiRa rusiyE alaathi! chinna vayasu njaapagam! :slurp: :slurp: ippo govt plastic pocket-la vikkuthu!!! To take away the suNNaambu rusi I use to add a pinch of citric acid and the taste is like nungu juice!!! Yummy!

pavalamani pragasam
23rd May 2010, 11:00 PM
In my paternal grandma's small town we use to get kaalai pathini and maalai pathini! Golden days!!!
nungu is getting costlier every year!

suvai
24th May 2010, 05:48 AM
ohhhh i love nungu nga pp :-) athoda thol vachi vethilai paaku pottom in my cousins wedding...;-)

but still dont know what is pathani or kaalai maalai pathini....evolo iruku....inum therinjika/suvai ka
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: i am sure mrs mano will come out with fabulous recipes for us;-)

raj nga.....i now understand the difference between fermented & non fermented stuff....where this palm drink is concerned....thanks nga!

pp nga....pathani in packets ah? i will surely give it a try next time i visit home ;-)

pavalamani pragasam
24th May 2010, 08:01 AM
Govt sold pathaneer in light green colour plastic bottles for long and now the bottles are replaced by plastic sachets like water sachets!

suvai
24th May 2010, 08:05 AM
is that legal to sell that stuff? if u keep it for long wont it get fermented? just curious ;-)

pavalamani pragasam
24th May 2010, 08:32 AM
Quite legal! It is not kaLLu! It does have expiry date! It is kept in iceboxes.

suvai
24th May 2010, 08:33 AM
aahhh....thanks nga pp :-)

Mrs.Mano
24th May 2010, 09:42 AM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on stickjaw recipe.

சுவை! பதநீர் ஒரு சுவை மிக்க சத்தான பானம். பனையேறும் தொழிலாளிகள் பாளைகளை சீவி கட்டி வைத்து வந்து விடுவார்கள்.
பனம் பாளைகளிருந்து வெளியேறும் திரவம் அதன் நுனியில் கட்டி வைக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் பானைகளில் பதநீராக சேமிக்கப்படுகிறது. அந்தப் பானைகளின் உட்புறம் தடவப்பட்டிருக்கும் சுண்ணாம்பு இந்த பதநீரானது கள்ளாக மாறுவதைத் தடுக்கிறது. ஒவ்வொரு நாளும் காலை ஒரு குடுவையுடன் ஏறிச்சென்று சேமிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் பதநீரை எடுத்துக்கொட்டிக்கொண்டு பானையை மறுபடியும் பதநீர் சேமிக்க அப்படியே வைத்து விட்டு வருவார்கள்.

தென்னைமர பதநீரை விட பனைமர பதநீரே நன்றாக இருக்கும் என்று சொல்வார்கள். பதநீரில் என் மாமியார் சாதம் செய்வார்கள். மிகவும் சுவையாக இருக்கும். பொதுவாக கிராமங்களில் இது கலப்படமில்லாமல் சுவையான பதநீராகக் கிடைக்கும். இதை வைத்து வெல்லம், தேங்காய் சேர்த்து பதநீர் பொங்கல், பயத்தம்பருப்பு, வெல்லம் சேர்த்து பதநீர் கஞ்சி செய்வார்கள். முன்பெல்லாம் விடியற்காலைப் பொழுதுகளில் பானையில் வைத்துக்கொண்டு தெருத்தெருவாய் கூவி விற்று வருவார்கள். பனை ஓலையை கிண்ணம் மாதிரி கட்டி அதில் பதநீரை ஊற்றித் தருவார்கள். இப்போதெல்லாம் பாக்கெட், தம்ளர் என்று வந்து விட்டது. பழைய சுவை இருப்பதில்லை. பொதுவாகக் கோடைக்காலங்களில் இது கிடைக்கும்.

Mrs.Mano
24th May 2010, 10:00 AM
Dear Nov!

Here there are seven Emirates. Our Sharjah Emirate is very strict in using Alcohol and any one using it will be strictly sent to jail immediately and punished. In some emirates the scene is different. In Star hotels it is sold legally for the guests.

It is a pleasure to see you here after a long time!

pavalamani pragasam
24th May 2010, 03:18 PM
Dear Suvai!

சுவை! பதநீர் ஒரு சுவை மிக்க சத்தான பானம். பனையேறும் தொழிலாளிகள் பாளைகளை சீவி கட்டி வைத்து வந்து விடுவார்கள்.
பனம் பாளைகளிருந்து வெளியேறும் திரவம் அதன் நுனியில் கட்டி வைக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் பானைகளில் பதநீராக சேமிக்கப்படுகிறது. அந்தப் பானைகளின் உட்புறம் தடவப்பட்டிருக்கும் சுண்ணாம்பு இந்த பதநீரானது கள்ளாக மாறுவதைத் தடுக்கிறது. ஒவ்வொரு நாளும் காலை ஒரு குடுவையுடன் ஏறிச்சென்று சேமிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் பதநீரை எடுத்துக்கொட்டிக்கொண்டு பானையை மறுபடியும் பதநீர் சேமிக்க அப்படியே வைத்து விட்டு வருவார்கள்.

தென்னைமர பதநீரை விட பனைமர பதநீரே நன்றாக இருக்கும் என்று சொல்வார்கள். பதநீரில் என் மாமியார் சாதம் செய்வார்கள். மிகவும் சுவையாக இருக்கும். பொதுவாக கிராமங்களில் இது கலப்படமில்லாமல் சுவையான பதநீராகக் கிடைக்கும். இதை வைத்து வெல்லம், தேங்காய் சேர்த்து பதநீர் பொங்கல், பயத்தம்பருப்பு, வெல்லம் சேர்த்து பதநீர் கஞ்சி செய்வார்கள். முன்பெல்லாம் விடியற்காலைப் பொழுதுகளில் பானையில் வைத்துக்கொண்டு தெருத்தெருவாய் கூவி விற்று வருவார்கள். பனை ஓலையை கிண்ணம் மாதிரி கட்டி அதில் பதநீரை ஊற்றித் தருவார்கள். இப்போதெல்லாம் பாக்கெட், தம்ளர் என்று வந்து விட்டது. பழைய சுவை இருப்பதில்லை. பொதுவாகக் கோடைக்காலங்களில் இது கிடைக்கும்.

:yes: :exactly:

suvai
24th May 2010, 06:32 PM
Dear Suvai!

dear mrs mano....ennai apadiye ooruku kootikitu poiteenga onga explanationoda...thank u nga.......just the thought of the pathaneer in plastic bag is putting me off......i can imagine how tasty it would have been/would be straight from the tree top/pot/to houses.... :thumbsup:

neenga pottu irukara different varieties padikumbothey naaku ooruthu....wish we can get some "pathaneer" here to try out those delicious list of yours. Are there any replacements?? i know it wont taste the same...but just asking....as I have not tasted pathaneer.....what wld be the closest in taste? apadi ethaavathu irunthichinaa...recipe podunga plz plz plz....thank u :mrgreen:

NOV
24th May 2010, 08:50 PM
Our Sharjah Emirate is very strict in using Alcohol and any one using it will be strictly sent to jail immediately and punished. Lets send suvai to Sharjah :P

It is a pleasure to see you here after a long time! My pleasure Mrs Mano. I always follow your thread. :D

suvai
24th May 2010, 08:57 PM
[quote=Mrs.Mano]Our Sharjah Emirate is very strict in using Alcohol and any one using it will be strictly sent to jail immediately and punished. Lets send suvai to Sharjah :P

angey poi padhaneer ketu maamiyar veetuku pogavaaa? :rotfl:

Mrs.Mano
25th May 2010, 12:09 AM
Suvai!

As you are my friend, you are always welcome to my home, here! But withour pathaneer!

suvai
25th May 2010, 12:17 AM
Suvai!

As you are my friend, you are always welcome to my home, here! But withour pathaneer!

awwww thank u nga mrs mano.....thank u ...:-)

nov ngov....kettukonga nalla kettukonga.... :noteeth:

ani
25th May 2010, 05:15 PM
Thank you for posting the procedure for custard. Can you please post the custard recipes that you have mentioned ?

Mrs.Mano
30th May 2010, 10:32 AM
Dear Ani!

Here is a delicious dessert for you!!

CUSTARD FRUITS DESSERT:

Ingredients:

Plain Sponge cake-half kilo
Condensed milk- 450 gm
Fruits like mango, apple, pineapple, banana, dates [cut into thin cubes]- 4 to 6 cups]
Prepared custard- 2 cups
Orange jelly pockets-2
Prepared China grass cubes [optional] - 1 cup

Procedure:

Scramble the cake well and transfer it to the bottom of a broad glass bowl.
A square shaped bowl will be suitable.
Press well with your palm neatly.
Pour the condensed milk evenly on top of the pressed cake.
Let it soak for half an hour.
In that time fruits can be cut.
Arrange the fruits in to a neat layer on top of the condensed milk without disturbing it.
Pour the custard on top of it.
If there are china grass cubes spread on top of the custard.
Prepare the orange jelly according to the instruction on the pocket and keep it in the fridge to set.
When it is almost set, spread carefully on top of the dessert.
Again chill this dessert for at least an hour before serving.

www.manoskitchan.blogspot.com

suvai
31st May 2010, 03:39 AM
hello nga mrs mano...............intha recipe iruntha podunga plz...& thanks :-)

SKSHIRAMRUTHAM another name is paladisal.....naan first time kelvi padaren...unless it goes by another common name...i am guessing that is a sweet...(mrutham) nu last la irukey... :mrgreen:

Mrs.Mano
15th June 2010, 08:12 AM
Dear Suvai!

I do not know the recipe for shiramurtham which is also named as paladisil.
I have also searched for you but in vien.
Do forgive me for my belated reply. I am fully committed with so many commitments as well as worklaods.

Mrs.Mano
15th June 2010, 08:15 AM
[tscii:e5507d97a2]This week I have prepared this tasty Soya pulao for Selvi and her beloved children. I am posting that recipe here.

SOYA PULAO:

Ingredients:

Small Soya balls- 2 ½ cups
Basmati rice- 4 ½ cups
Onion-6
Chopped coriander- 1 cup
Oil- 6 tbsp
Ghee- half cup
Salt to taste
Thick coconut milk-2 cups
Fried cashew nuts- half cup

Grind the following to a coarse paste:

Green chillies-8, shredded ginger- 2 tbsp, garlic flakes-2 tbsp, cinnamon-2 inches, fennel seeds- 2 tsp, cardamom-4,
cloves-4

Shredded coconut- half cup, cashew nuts-10, poppy seeds- 2 tsp, fennel seeds- 1 tsp, curd- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Soak the soya balls in hot water for half an hour, then squeeze out the water from the soya balls and then again soak the balls in cold water.
Again squeeze out the water from the soya balls.
Now the soya balls are ready for cooking.
Slice three onions thinly.
Heat a kadai and pour 2 tbsp of oil and 2 tsp of ghee.
Add the sliced onion and fry them to golden brown.
Then add the half of the ground coarse paste and fry them on slow fire until the oil floats on surface.
Then add the soya balls with enough salt and cook for a few minutes until the masala is absorbed by the balls.
Add the finely ground paste and cook for some minutes until the gravy is thickened.
Heat a vessel and pour the remaining oil and half of the ghee.
Slice the remaining onion and add to the ghee.
Fry them to golden brown.
Add the remaining paste and fry them finely.
Now add the greens and fry them for a few seconds.
Add the coconut milk and the soaked rice.
Cook on medium fire.
When the rice is half cooked, add the salt and mix well.
When the rice is almost cooked and all the water is evaporated, spread the prepared soya gravy evenly on top of the rice, and keep it in Dum’ in a gas oven in 160 deg.C for 20 minutes.
Mix well once after 10 minutes and pour the remaining ghee around the corners.
Decorate with fried cashew nuts.
Now the soya balls pulao is ready![/tscii:e5507d97a2]

selvieam
15th June 2010, 02:39 PM
thanks a lot aunty, for posting this receipe. i have told my friends about this pulao. everybody wants the receipe, now i can send this to my friends. kids wants me to prepare this on saturday. i will comeback to u with the kids feedback.

also sorry aunty , tonight i will try to send mail.

suvai
16th June 2010, 07:39 AM
Dear Suvai!

I do not know the recipe for shiramurtham which is also named as paladisil.
I have also searched for you but in vien.
Do forgive me for my belated reply. I am fully committed with so many commitments as well as worklaods.

Dear mrs mano,
no problems at all nga.......but i really appreciate you trying to get the recipe....despite you being extremely busy .
Trust your peran is bringing you more joy day after day ...:-)

suvai
16th June 2010, 07:41 AM
hello nga mrs mano............just wanted to tell u that I tried this soya pulao today & it came out extremelyyyyyyy well.....the flavour/aroma/taste ellaamey super o super......

selvi...this pulao is a sure party hit too....;-) enjoy making it this weekend for yr children...:-)

Mrs.Mano
16th June 2010, 07:23 PM
Dear Selvi!

I am glad that you are going to make this pulao on Saturday. I am waiting for the feedback.

Mrs.Mano
16th June 2010, 07:26 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback you have given for my soya pulao! I felt happy to know that you ahve enjoyed it very much!

Yes, I find it very difficult to spend more time on internet due to Vimal who is a joy for all of us!!

selvieam
24th June 2010, 12:17 AM
aunty,
i searched for kabul rice, i couldn't find it. can u please send me the receipe whenever u get time.

thanks in advance
selvi

suvai
24th June 2010, 04:03 AM
dear mrs mano/selvi.....enakum anupunga plzzz...kabul rice....:-) ....(.recipe)....
thank u..:-)

dev
24th June 2010, 09:48 PM
Potato chops recipe podunga pls...

suvai
25th June 2010, 03:52 AM
Potato chops recipe podunga pls...

yes yes..plz :thumbsup:

Mrs.Mano
27th June 2010, 01:43 PM
Dear dev!

I have never crossed the ' potato chops' recipe till this date. Any discription about it, please?

Mrs.Mano
27th June 2010, 01:45 PM
[tscii:664dc1fa9e]Dear Selvi!

I regret for the delayed reply. As usual excessive workloads didn’t allow any free time for me. Here is the recipe of “ Kabuli rice” for you!

KABULI RICE:

Ingredients:

Basmati rice- 200 gm
Thuar dal- 100 gms
Ghee- 3 tbsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Finely copped coriander- 3 tbsp
Small potato cubes- 1 cup
Finely chopped tomato- 1 cup
Sliced onion-2
Small garlic flakes-10
Shredded cabbage- half cup
Turmeric powder- half sp
Beans [cut in to 1 inch pieces]- 1 cup
Frozen peas- half cup
Salt to taste

Grind coarsely the following ingredients:

Cumin seeds- half sp, fennel seeds- half sp, chilli powder- half sp, cinnamon piece[half inch]-1, cardamom-3

Procedure:

Wash the rice and the dal and soak them in water.
Heat a pan and pour the oil and the ghee.
Add the onion and cook it until it turns golden brown.
Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder and cook it until it is cooked well and the oil floats on top.
Add all the vegetables with a little salt and cook for a few minutes.
Add the coarse powder with the coriander leaves and fry for a few seconds.
Transfer them to a bowl.
Add the rice and the dal with 5 cups of water and enough salt.
Pressure cook the rice to 5 whistles. When cooled, mix well with little more ghee.
Tomato thokku, pappads and potato fry are the suitable side dishes for this rice.

[/tscii:664dc1fa9e]

selvieam
27th June 2010, 02:41 PM
aunty, thanks a lot . tomorrow u will get the feedback from u.

selvi

selvieam
28th June 2010, 06:44 PM
aunty,

kabuli rice was super hit in our house. kids enjoyed the dish very much. it was quite filling also. i didn't have green peas, instead i added sprouted moong dhal. i gave to my friend too, she also liked it very much. flavour of the rice is too good.

thanks aunty.

:thumbsup:

NOV
28th June 2010, 06:50 PM
Congratulations Mrs. Mano!
on another 100 pages of delicious recipes!

[html:24971eadd3]
http://www.fabulousafter40.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/100-cake.jpg
[/html:24971eadd3]

selvieam
29th June 2010, 12:16 AM
congrats aunty for completing 100 pages.

suvai
29th June 2010, 06:37 AM
Dear mrs mano....congratsssssssss!!!on completing yet another 100 pages of superb/delicious/tried & tested recipes............... :clap: :clap: :clap: & thank u for your kind efforts!!!

kugan98
29th June 2010, 08:11 AM
Congrats Mrs.Mano, hope to see another 100
pages of your nice recipes. God Bless.
Kugan98

Mrs.Mano
29th June 2010, 10:50 PM
Dear brother NOV!

Thank you very much for the greetings as well as the beautiful cake!

It is a wonderful feeling when I think of my participation in the forum hub since 2003 though I was not very busy ands active in this thread due to my commitments and worklaods.

Any way, thanks again for the continuous support!

Mrs.Mano
29th June 2010, 10:51 PM
Dear Selvi!

Thank you very much for yr wishes!

Mrs.Mano
29th June 2010, 10:52 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the hearty wishes as well as the continuous support!

Mrs.Mano
29th June 2010, 11:02 PM
Dear Kugan!

It is a pleasure to have your wishes and support!

Thanks a lot for your sincere wishes!!

cdj
30th June 2010, 01:41 AM
I have been a silent reader all these years and have turned out to be a self satisfied cook by Mrs.Mano. Congrats and heartfelt thanks for the good work you do.மிக்க நன்றி.

Mrs.Mano
30th June 2010, 02:31 PM
Dear Selvi!

I felt happy to know that Kabuli rice was a super hit in your house. Thank you very much for the nice feedback! This is the finest reward for my contribution, you know.

Mrs.Mano
30th June 2010, 02:35 PM
Dear cdj!

I am glad that you had become a self-satisfied cook due to me! Really the credit should go to your enthusiasm and hard work!

Thanks a lot for your sincere compliments. It is really a boost to me!!

Mrs.Mano
10th July 2010, 10:58 AM
I am posting here a delicious vatral kuzhambu! It is a quick one and need not much time to cook it.

MANATHAKKAALI VATRAL KUZHAMBU

Ingredients:

Manathakkali vatral- quarter cup
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsp+ 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- half sp
Cumin seeds- half sp
Fenugreek seeds- half sp
Asafetida- half sp
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Bengal gram- 2 tbsp
Red chillies-5
Turmeric powder- half sp
Sambar powder- 11/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in warm water for half an hour and extract its juice.
Heat a pan and pour the 2 tbsp of gingelly oil.
Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
When they start to turn golden brown add the Bengal gram, red chillies and the manathakkali vatral along with the curry leaves and asafetida powder.
Fry them for a few minutes.
Add the tamarind juice with the sambar powder and salt.
Le it boil for a few minutes.
When the kuzhambu is thickened, pour the remaining oil.
Keep it on slow fire for 2 minutes.
Serve this with hot rice, melted ghee, pappads and chips!

suvai
12th July 2010, 05:19 AM
Dear mrs mano....Hope all is well.
Thank u nga for a nice manathakaali vatral kuzhambu....:-)
sounds very authentic...;-)

Thattai
19th July 2010, 09:47 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Congrats on hitting the 100 page mark (yet again). See that I logged in at the right time to wish you. Actually wanted to say that i tried ur sambar podi and chicken biryani.

The sambar podi is really super. So easy to make and so tasty. Really good stuff. Chicken biryani also turned out real nice. Thanks for the yummy recipes. See loads of new ones as well. Can't wait to start trying :)

Mrs.Mano
20th July 2010, 08:16 AM
Dear Suvai!
How are you?
Thanks for your suggestions on manathakkaali vatral kuzhambu.
I have sent you a mail to day.