PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies - Part 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Mrs.Mano
18th September 2008, 11:40 AM
[tscii:cdecaf3c90]Dear Pr!

Hope you will be doing well. Yes, I am relaxed now after my son’s marriage.
The ‘Gulab jamoon’ recipe you had posted was the very oldest recipe which I posted in the beginning stage. I learnt this from a old cookery book and practiced it with my own measurements until I got the desired effect. I could see now that I have missed one ingredient to add in this. I am posting again the corrected version of ‘GULAB JAMOON’ here! Thanks a lot for asking your doubt in this particular recipe.

GULAB JAMOON:

Ingredients

Plain flour- 3 tbsp
Full cream Milk powder- 8 tbsp
Soda bi carbonate- ¼ sp
Baking powder- ¼ sp
Cardamom powder- ½ tsp
Soft butter- 1 tbsp
Water- 2 to 3 tbsp

For the syrup:

Sugar- 2 cups
Water- 3 ½ cups

Procedure:

Sieve the milk powder, plain flour, soda-bi-carbonate, baking powder and cardamom powder thrice.
Then add the soft butter to it and mix well with the fingers like breadcrumbs.
Then add the water to make a soft dough.
The dough should be soft and shiny.
Do not give pressure when making the dough.
Then make small balls out of it.
Heat enough oil in a kadai.
The fire should be LOW.
Then fry the balls to a light brown colour.
This way, the balls will be fried fully.
Heat a vessel and pour 3 ½ cups of water with 2 cups of sugar to it.
When the sugar syrup starts to simmer, reduce the fire to medium and add the gulab jamuns to the syrup.
When adding the gulab jamuns, they should be still warm.
Cook the jamuns in the same medium heat for exactly 18 minutes.
This way, the gulab jamuns will be nicely cooked, and the syrup will be thickened to the correct consistency.
When frying the jamuns in oil, the balls should change into bigger size- they should double in size when simmering in the syrup- This is the correct procedure of making gulab jamuns.

[/tscii:cdecaf3c90]

pr
18th September 2008, 08:12 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Thanks for the immediate clarification .
1/4 tsp each of Bak powder and bak soda right ?
Thanks
Pr

dev
20th September 2008, 06:02 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano...our heartiest wishes to ur family!!!... :) Hope thw wedding went on as u wished...

pr
20th September 2008, 07:46 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Could you please post the recipe for 1.wheat dosai( using wheat grains) and 2.wheat dosai(using wheat rava) .
Thanks and Regards
Pr

Mrs.Mano
22nd September 2008, 12:49 PM
[tscii:bf0cf6ca35]GONGURA CHICKEN:

Ingredients:

Boneless chicken pieces- ½ kilo
Chopped tomato- half cup
Small onion-8
Small Garlic flakes-10
Ginger- half sp
Cinnamon- 1 small piece
Fennel seeds- half sp
Cumin seeds- half sp
Chilli powder- half sp
Green chillies-5
Turmeric powder- half sp
Gongura leaves- 2 cups
Sliced onion- 2 cups
Salt to taste
Oil- 5 tbsp

Procedure:

In one tbsp of oil fry the small onions, garlic flakes, fennel seeds, ginger, cinnamon and green chillies on slow fire for a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes and the gongura leaves with the turmeric powder and fry them softly. When cooled, grind them with the chilli powder to a fine paste. Mix this with the curd. Heat a pan and add the remaining oil. Add the cumin seeds. When they start to splutter, add the onions and fry them to golden brown. Then add the chicken pieces with enough salt and a little water and cook them on medium fire. When they are half done, add the curd mixture and mix well. Cook the chicken until they are well cooked. [/tscii:bf0cf6ca35]

Mrs.Mano
22nd September 2008, 12:50 PM
Dear Dev!

Thank you very much for the wishes. Yes, the marriage went on happily and smoothly.

Thattai
23rd September 2008, 09:52 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Heartfelt congratulations on the occasion of your son's wedding.

Thanks so much for replying to my query.

Tried the Tomato egg masala today. It turned out very good. Did not have coconut at home, so added coconut cream. So texture was also very smooth and nice. My daughter also enjoyed it.

Thanks again...

sinrultz
25th September 2008, 07:22 AM
Wow...thank u sooo much for the gongura chicken recipe...will try it soon.What is the quantity of curd to be used in the recipe ma'am?

suvai
27th September 2008, 07:21 PM
Dear Mrs Mano......................:-)
Would you be kind enough to post an authentic "Ada Pradhaman" recipe plzzz....

epadi irukeenga? en email kidaichithaa?
Take plenty care.......suvai

Mrs.Mano
28th September 2008, 11:26 AM
Dear Pr!

Generally, whest dosais are prepared with wheat flour only. We can make a batter with 1 cup of par boiled rice, one cup of wheat rawa, quarter cup of black gram and 1 tbsp of thuar dal and ferment it to make thosais. But they will be a little sticky.

Mrs.Mano
28th September 2008, 11:28 AM
Dear Thattai!

Thanks a lot for your sincere wishes.
And again I thank you very much for the nice feedback on tomato egg masala.

Mrs.Mano
28th September 2008, 11:30 AM
Dear sinrultz!

The quantity of the curd is quarter cup.

Mrs.Mano
28th September 2008, 12:44 PM
[tscii:d936e781ad]Dear suvai!

I have received your email and will reply back soon.
Here is the recipe of ‘Adai prathaman’ for you!!

ADAI PRATHAMAN:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 200gm
Jaggery- 400 gms
Big coconuts-2
Ghee- 1 tsp
Salt- a pinch
Cumin powder- a pinch
Cardamom powder- a pinch
Dry Ginger [chukku] powder – a pinch
Plantain leaves cut in to small handkerchief size and wilted through fire for a few minutes.

Procedure:

Extract thin and thick milk from the coconut. Each should be measured to 2 cups.
Soak the rice for 3 hours, drain the water and then pound it to a fine powder. Pass it through a fine sieve twice. Pour the ghee on it. Mix with sufficient water and the salt to make a thin batter. Pour into each leaf a spoonful of batter and spread thinly. Roll each leaf tightly and tie them with a string. Steam all of them for 15 minutes. When cooled, remove the adais and cut them into small pieces. Drop them in to the thin milk. Boil it on medium fire. Make syrup with the jaggery to one thread consistency. Pour it on the adai prathaman. Let it cook for some minutes. When the prathaman is thickened, add the first thick milk and all the powders. Allow the prathaman simmer for a few seconds.
[/tscii:d936e781ad]

suvai
28th September 2008, 06:26 PM
Dear mrs. mano......thank you for your prompt recipe....oru kelvi.....big coconut - 2 nu pottu irukeenga....athu evalo vendum for the 200gms raw rice & 400gms jaggery....rendu kai fulla pothungalaaa?
sorry & thanks for your replies.
Hope all is well with u & at home.
tc
s

dev
28th September 2008, 06:41 PM
pr, for wheat dosa just soak req qty of broken wheat(not wheat rava) overnight & grind it into a coarse batter adding water as required. you can add g.chillies,ginger,jeera if u like. but I prefer the plain ones. No need of fermenting this batter. the batter should not be too water. Should be lil thick.

Grinding is the tricky thing here coz of the stickyness of the wheat... I have always used mixie for it & not a grinder...

pr
29th September 2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks Mrs Mano and Dev for your replies on wheat dosa. I will try and let you know the feedback
Thanks again
Pr

KPR
6th October 2008, 10:27 PM
Hi,
I am looking for a recipe for soft kadala maavu bonda which we used to get in hotels in chennai.

sinrultz
7th October 2008, 05:27 AM
Another Gem of a recipe...made gongura chicken for a potluck party and ended up having all the ladies behind me for the recipe...thank you very much :D

When time permits could you post your vegetable omlette recipe and a recipe for stuffed chilly bhajji which we get in hyderabad.

pr
8th October 2008, 08:19 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Hope you are doin good. I would like to have a recipe from you .
How to prepare munthiri cake with koya . Back at home when I was little a cook used to come to prepare sweets for diwali . He soaked cashews , grind it , added with sugar , koya and when it reahed the patham ,he put pieces .

I want exact proportion for the same . If you have any recipe could you please post it ..

Thanks and Regards
Pr

Mrs.Mano
13th October 2008, 11:52 AM
[tscii:6ae622bf85]Dear sinrultz!

Here is the recipe of ‘vegetable omlette’ which you have requested. I never tasted the chilli stuffed bajji of Hyderabad.

VEGETABLE OMLETTE:

Ingredients:

gram flour – 2 cups
Finely chopped tomatoes- half cup
Finely chopped spring onion- half cup
Finely chopped green chilli- 2
Chopped coriander- 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Butter

Procedure:

Add all the ingredients to the finely sieved gram flour. Prepare batter like dosai batter with the help of little water. Heat a dosai pan and pour a table sp of batter and spread it like a thin dosai. Pour a little butter around it. When one side is slightly browned turn it on the other side and cook for a few seconds. This is a best stuffing for sandwiches.

[/tscii:6ae622bf85]

Mrs.Mano
13th October 2008, 11:58 AM
[tscii:72071a65af]Dear Pr!

Here is the recipe of Cashew Burfi which you have asked.

CASHEW NUT BURFI

Ingredients:

Cashew nuts- 1 cup
Sugar- 1 ½ cups
Cardamom powder- quarter sp
Saffron- a pinch
Ghee- 100gm
Kova-50 gms

Procedure:

Soak the cashew nuts in enough water over night. Grind it finely to a paste. Mix it with the sugar, pour in a pan and heat it on medium fire. When the mixture becomes sticky add the kova and mix well. Add the ghee slowly and mix well. Add the cardamom powder and saffron. When the mixture leaves out from the corners and the ghee slightly oozes out, pour the mixture on a greased plate and spread it evenly. When cooled, cut it in to desired pieces.

[/tscii:72071a65af]

suvai
13th October 2008, 06:00 PM
Dear Mrs Mano!!!
Nalla irukeengala?!!
Thank u for the ada prathaman recipe!!

Oru recipe request plz....:-)

Ratna cafe la seiyaraaa maathri basundhi recipe irunthaal post pannunga plz.....thank u....

nethiki oru kadaila vaangitu vanthom.....(it was made only with condensed milk - :-(
were veryyyyyy disappointed so decided to make it myself with your recipe :-)

thanks in advance for the same.

regards...........s

pr
13th October 2008, 07:28 PM
Thank you very much Mrs Mano
I will surely try this for diwali.
Regards
Pr

swapnasureshbabu
18th October 2008, 03:06 AM
Dear MRs Mano,
H r u? i am ur super fan and i try all ur recipes.
Can u pllzz post some grandmother's healthy baby food recipes for my son 7 month old baby...
thks

sk
21st October 2008, 08:54 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,

How are you doing? ...If you have (Periya) kara boondhi recipe..can you plz post it?..i'm planning to make it for diwali..
my mother makes a Poricha kulambu with Periya kara boondhi...it goes well with chapathi ,rasam rice,curd rice.

thank you.
regards,
sk

Mrs.Mano
24th October 2008, 12:29 AM
I know about basunthi. but I am not aware of any 'Rathna cafe BASUNTHI! In fact I am going to post the original basunthi recipe now!

suvai
24th October 2008, 02:53 AM
:-) mrs mano...........podunga podunga...looking forward to the basundhi recipe....thanks in advance......neenga nalla irukeengala!?

Mrs.Mano
24th October 2008, 11:50 AM
[tscii:dff1e40660]Dear Sk!

I regret for my delayed reply.

Here is the kaaraa boondhi recipe for you. For periya kaaraa boonthi, you must make it using a jaarani with big holes than the ordinary kaara boondhi jaarani karandi. Do post your mother’s poricha kuzambu recipe here with the kaaraboondhi.

KAARA BOONDHI

Ingredients:

Gram flour- 250gm
Rice flour- 50 gm
Salt to taste
Soda bi carbonate- a pinch
Cashew nuts
Curry leaves- a handful
Red chillies-3
Asafetida- a small piece

[b]Procedure:

Sieve the flours with soda bi carbonate, add the salt and then make a thick paste by adding enough water. Pour enough paste on the jaarani karandi and spread a little paste on it quickly so that the paste drops as kaaraapoondhis in to the hot oil directly. Fry them to golden brown and then drain them on a kitchen towel. Fry the curry leaves and the cashew nuts in the same oil to golden brown and again place them on the kitchen towel. In a little oil fry the asafotida and the chillies. Then powder them finely with little salt.. Sprinkle it to the kaara boonthi mixture and mix well.

[/tscii:dff1e40660]

Mrs.Mano
24th October 2008, 11:50 AM
[tscii:87a7660a56]Dear Sk!

I regret for my delayed reply.

Here is the kaaraa boondhi recipe for you. For periya kaaraa boonthi, you must make it using a jaarani with big holes than the ordinary kaara boondhi jaarani karandi. Do post your mother’s poricha kuzambu recipe here with the kaaraboondhi.

KAARA BOONDHI

Ingredients:

Gram flour- 250gm
Rice flour- 50 gm
Salt to taste
Soda bi carbonate- a pinch
Cashew nuts
Curry leaves- a handful
Red chillies-3
Asafetida- a small piece

[b]Procedure:

Sieve the flours with soda bi carbonate, add the salt and then make a thick paste by adding enough water. Pour enough paste on the jaarani karandi and spread a little paste on it quickly so that the paste drops as kaaraapoondhis in to the hot oil directly. Fry them to golden brown and then drain them on a kitchen towel. Fry the curry leaves and the cashew nuts in the same oil to golden brown and again place them on the kitchen towel. In a little oil fry the asafotida and the chillies. Then powder them finely with little salt.. Sprinkle it to the kaara boonthi mixture and mix well.

[/tscii:87a7660a56]

Mrs.Mano
24th October 2008, 11:51 AM
[tscii:1bdbcd827e]Dear swapnasureshbabu!

I regret to say that I am not aware of any grandmother’s healthy baby food.
[/tscii:1bdbcd827e]

Mrs.Mano
24th October 2008, 11:52 AM
I WISH ALL THE HUBBERS A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS DEEPAAVALI!!!

Shakthiprabha.
24th October 2008, 11:52 AM
I know about basunthi. but I am not aware of any 'Rathna cafe BASUNTHI! In fact I am going to post the original basunthi recipe now!

This is something I make very often, I am waiting for ur recipe too :)

NOV
24th October 2008, 04:53 PM
I WISH ALL THE HUBBERS A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS DEEPAAVALI!!!A very happy and blessed deepavali to you too. :D

Mrs.Mano
25th October 2008, 12:55 AM
[tscii:ae624cf6cf]I am posting here a sweet as well as a savoury for Deepavali!

BASUNTHI:

Ingredients:

Thick milk- 2 liters
Sugar- 200 gm
Thinly sliced- half cup
Saffron – a pinch

Procedure:

Pour the milk in a broad pan and heat it. When the milk starts simmering, reduce the fire to medium and let it boil continuously. When a filmy layer forms on the surface, remove it with a thin tooth pick and store it in a glass bowl. Thus continue this storing process till the milk is reduced to half liter. In the mean time, as the milk is reducing, layers will be formed also around the pan. Scrape them with the help of a spatula or dosai thiruppi and drop them again in the boiling milk itself. After the milk is reduced to half liter add the sugar, saffron and the cardamom powder and again allow the milk to boil for a few minutes. Pour the thickened milk in a glass bowl, add the collected layers and the sliced almonds and chill it in the fridge.

GARAM PAKODA

Procedure:

Rice flour- 1 cup
Gram flour- 2 cups
Thinly sliced onion-4
Chopped green chilli-6
Crushed ginger- 1 sp
Curry leaves- a handful
Soda bi carbonate- 2 pinches
Dalda or ghee- 100 gms
Salt to taste
Asafetida – half sp
Oil to fry

Procedure:

Mix the soda carbonate with the dalda and beat well with a wooden spoon. Sieve the flours, add the vegetables, the ghee mixture and salt to it and mix well. Make thick dough with the help of a little water. Heat a pan and pour oil in it. Drop small portions of the mixture and fry them to golden brown. Thus complete all the dough.

[/tscii:ae624cf6cf]

Thattai
26th October 2008, 11:16 PM
I WISH ALL THE HUBBERS A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS DEEPAAVALI!!!

Dear Mrs. Mano,

Very happy and prosperous Deepavali to you and your family. And wishes to all fellow hubbers. Wish everyone a happy and safe Deepavali.

Thattai
26th October 2008, 11:18 PM
Dear Mrs. MAno,

Tried the Egg Masala curry a few weeks back. It was apparently very yum as per my mum. I fell quite ill before I could try it so cannot give personal feedback. But hope to try it again soon.

suvai
27th October 2008, 04:45 AM
Thank you mrs mano for the basundhi recipe!!!.....will surely try it & let u know.....

Happy Deepaavali wishes to you & your family!!

Happy Deepavali to Hubbers & family too!

:-)

suvai
28th October 2008, 01:21 AM
Mrs mano try pannikitey iruken basundhi....super ah varuthu......:-) thank u thank u......triple thank u ongaluku....;-)

sinrultz
31st October 2008, 07:07 AM
Dear Mrs Mano.

Ma'am could you post a recipe for channa masala at you convienience

Thattai
31st October 2008, 11:56 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Made the Paruppu Rasam and the Sambhar sadam today for lunch. I had a friend coming over for lunch and wanted to make some interesting veggie item, hence the sadam.

Usually do not try new recipes for guests, but since it was urs, I went ahead, and am glad to say we were not disappointed. Both were very tasty. In fact, my friend liked the sadam so much, I gave her the leftovers to take home.

Rasam also very tasty and 'fresh' due to the freshly pounded spices. Thanks for 2 yummy recipes.

Thattai
1st November 2008, 11:14 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Made the Coconut Chutney III and idli podi (one with til and curry leaves) today.

Both turned out very nice. Thanks for the tasty recipes.

Mrs.Mano
2nd November 2008, 12:37 PM
Dear Thattai!

Thank you very much for the nice feed backs on egg masala curry, sambar sadham, idli podi, chutney and paruppu rasam. In fact, the sambar sadham is the most favourite food for many of my friends.

Mrs.Mano
2nd November 2008, 12:42 PM
Dear suvai!

How was basunthi? Has it turned out successfully?

Mrs.Mano
2nd November 2008, 12:46 PM
Dear sinrultz!

Here is the recipe of channa masala for you!!

CHANNA MASALA [CHICK PEAS MASALA]:

Ingredients:

Cooked chickpeas- 2 cups
Mashed potato-half cup
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Crushed tomato- 2 cups
Chilli powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander- half cup
Chopped mint leaves- 2 tbsp
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Poppy seeds- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Oil- 5 tbsp

Grind the following to a coarse paste:

2 green chillies, 1 tsp shredded ginger, 8 small garlic flakes, 1 cardamom, 1 cinnamon, half sp fennel seeds
Sliced onion- 2

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the onion and fry it for a few minutes. Then add the coarse paste and fry for a few seconds on slow fire. Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder and fry it till the tomatoes are mashed finely and the oil floats on the surface. Add the green and fry for a few seconds. Then add the cooked chickpeas and 4 cups of water with enough salt. Let it simmer for some minutes. Grind the coconut with the poppy seeds and the fennel seeds to a smooth paste and add it with half cup of water. Add the powders and allow the masala simmer for some minutes. When the gravy is slightly thickened, add the mashed potato and mix well. Again allow the gravy to simmer for a few minutes on slow fire.

suvai
3rd November 2008, 05:38 AM
Dear mrs mano!!!!
Neenga kodukara recipe nalla varaama pogumaaa?!!!! ;-)
Superrrrrrrr o superrrrrrr ah vanthidichinga onga basundhi recipe.....thank u thank thank u...:-)

suvai
3rd November 2008, 05:41 AM
my next try is the channa masala recipe that u have posted.....panni paarthititu solaren nga kandipaaga!

Shakthiprabha.
3rd November 2008, 09:47 PM
Hi,

can anyone plz get me the links for

sambhar sadham, idli podi, chutney and paruppu rasam of mrs.mano?

Dear mrs.mano,

I make very good basundi.

However ur tips of taking the thickened layers and keeping aside to add later seem very very professional and sounds yummy. I shall try it next time :)

Shakthiprabha.
4th November 2008, 10:07 AM
Nandri suvai nandri nandri :ty: :ty: :bow:

She/He/ copy pasted all the recipes to me :thanks: :)

Mrs.Mano
5th November 2008, 11:19 AM
Dear Sakthiprabha!

Thanks a lot for the nice response on my recipe ' Basundhi'. Hope you will try it soon. Actually, this is called as 'Rabdi' in North India and this Rabdi is very famous at the Madhura temple.

Mrs.Mano
5th November 2008, 11:30 AM
[tscii:fb0db0539b]I am posting here a tasty recipe!!

COOKED RICE PAKODA:

Ingredients:

Cooked rice- 1 cup
Gram flour- ¾ cup
Corn flour- half of ¾ cup
Finely chopped Sambar onions- ½ cup
Crushed Green chillies-2
Chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- 2 arc
Salt to taste
Oil to fry

Procedure:

Grind the rice to a paste with the help of little water. Mix in the flours, salt and the vegetables well. Heat enough oil in a pan. Make small balls and drop them in hot oil. When they turn to golden brown, take them out and drain them on kitchen towel. [/tscii:fb0db0539b]

suvai
6th November 2008, 07:40 AM
Vanakam SP.............u r most welcome...:-)

suvai
6th November 2008, 07:44 AM
dear mrs mano............ "coconut buscuit" recipe without eggs irunthaa post pannunga plz.....thank u thank u in advance................regards.....s

Thattai
6th November 2008, 09:54 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

MAde the tomato coconut kuzhambu which was REALLY easy-peasy. Start to finish was less that 1/2 an hour. I also added some boiled eggs to it which went very well. Next time, I think I will add paneer.

Have tons of coconut after the festive season, so looking for ways to use it up.

Related query - would you have a recipe for Coconut Rice? Really looking forward to your version Mrs. Mano. Also would you please provide a recipe for chicken kheema in a gravy to have with rice or rotis?

Thanks,

Thattai

kavim10
7th November 2008, 04:06 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano / hubbers,
My idlies are coming flat everytime i do it. My ratio of idli rice to ulundu is 4:1. Can u please tell me if i should increase or decrease ulundu or rice.
Thanks for your time, Kavitha

swapnasureshbabu
7th November 2008, 09:44 AM
Dear Mrs.MAno / Hubbers,
Usually i prepare idly using idly rice and urad dal.
but as we dont get idly rice nowadays in USA, i need a alternative for idly rice for preparing idlies...

we get boiled rice from SAM's CLUB though.I dont knw whether u r aware of SAM's rice.Also We get Jasmine rice from oriental mart and
Long grain rice in grocery Stores...

is it possible to substitute any of this kind of rice
which we get easily in USA for Idly rice and make good idlies...
Plzzzzzz i really need help...

swapnasureshbabu
7th November 2008, 09:51 AM
Hi kavim,
i always go with 6:1 ratio for preparing idlies.And idly batter consistency shld be always thick(less water) and shld not be too soft as we prepare for dosas.
And i steam cook idlies for 12 minutes to 15 minutes and before taking the idlies from the plate i splash water on the plates leave it for 2 mts and then i take the idly with spoon.
also i apply little oil to the idly plates each time before pouring the batter...

hope this helps...

pr
10th November 2008, 11:27 PM
Hi swapna
I am following the recipe below which was given by an aunt who has been here in US for the past 30 yrs .It works very good .
Long grain rice- 4.5 cups
Golden parboiled rice 0.5 cups (you can get this in Indian stores)
Urad dal 1 to 1.25 cups(depending on the type of urad you use)
Fenugreek seeds 2 tsp
soaking is slightly different. We use warm water for soaking. Take water as needed and put it in the stove and light it. Switch off the stove just before the water starts boiling or wait for some bubbles trvelling upwards. Then put both the rice . soak it for 6to 7 hours. Soak urad and fenugreek for 2 hrs .Grind them separately. Mix them with salt , ferment and use it.
Recently i tried with 5.5 cups instead of 4.5 and It worked better.
Try this and let me know .
Hope this info is useful
Regards
Pr

Mrs.Mano
10th November 2008, 11:39 PM
Dear Suvai!

Here is the recipe of egg less coconut biscuit for you. This I have learnt from a close friend.

COCONUT BISCUIT:

Ingredients:

Plain flour- 1 1/2 cups
Butter- 1/2 cup
Castor sugar- 1/4 cup
Baking powder- half sp
Desiccated coconut- 3/4 cup
Condensed milk- 3 tbsp

Procedure:

Sieve the flour with the B.Powder thrice. Mix in the butter, powdered sugar and coconut. Mix well with the condensed milk and make small balls. Flatten them slightly and place them on a greased baking tray. Bake them in a hot oven which is pre-heated to 160 degree C till you they are slightly browned.

Mrs.Mano
10th November 2008, 11:42 PM
Dear Thattai!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on tomato kuzhambu. And hats off to your innovations of adding different ingredients to my recipes!!
I always make a different coconut rice and I am going to post its recipe for you here.

MINT COCONUT RICE:

Ingredients:

Basmati rice [cooked with salt] - 4 cups
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Mint leaves- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp
Black gram- 2 tsp
Asafoetida pr- 1 tsp
Cashew nuts- 3 tbsp

Crush the following coarsely:

Green chillies-2, fennel seeds-1/4 tsp, shredded ginger- 1tsp

Procedure:

Heat a broad pan and pour the oil. Add the cumin seeds, black gram and the asafoetida and fry them for a few seconds. Add the cashew nuts and fry them to slightly brown. Add the crushed ingredients and fry them for a few seconds. Add the coconut with the mint leaves. Fry them for a few minutes. Add the cooked rice and mix well on the heat for a few seconds.

Mrs.Mano
10th November 2008, 11:44 PM
Dear Kavitha!

Your ratio of par boiled rice and the black gram for Idli are correct. There is no need to decrease or increase the quantity of black gram. The idlies will become flat if the batter is watery and if the rice and the black gram are ground for a long time. If the idlies are cooked in pressure cooker, then sometimes the idlies will become flat due to the pressure. Grind the black gram only for 20 to 30 minutes to a fluffy consistency. Then grind the rice with enough water to a fine paste. The batter should be neither too thick nor too thin [watery]. You can add a tsp of fenugreek seeds when you soak the black gram in water.

Mrs.Mano
11th November 2008, 12:15 AM
[tscii:d9419be11d]Dear swapnasureshbabu!

There are two preparations to prepare idlies without boiled rice. You can make fresh soft idlies with raw rice. I have learnt these recipes from a close relative. Here I am posting them for you! I hope you will try them successfully.

IDLI WITH RAW RICE-1:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds- ¼ sp
Black gram- ¼ cup
Rice flakes [poha/ aval] - ¼ cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the black gram with the fenugreek seeds and the rice separately in enough water. Grind the black gram to a fluffy batter. Wash the rice flakes well and add to the rice. Grind them smoothly. Mix both batters with enough salt and ferment it for 7 hours. You will get soft idlies.

IDLI WITH RAW RICE-2:

Take 2 cups of raw rice in a bowl, cover it tightly with a suitable lid or aluminium foil, and pressure cook them for three whistles. Take it out, spread the rice on a plate. And cool it. In this way, the rice changes as par boiled rice. Then whenever you want to prepare idlies, soak the rice as you do for par boiled rice

[/tscii:d9419be11d]

suvai
12th November 2008, 08:10 AM
Dear mrs mano...............thank u for the Coconut biscuit recipe............kandipa try pannitu ezhutharen ongaluku.........thank u nga once again.........:-)

swapnasureshbabu
13th November 2008, 03:44 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano and pr,
Thank u soo much for the recipes...
Definetely will try and tell u guys...

Mrs.Mano i didn't knw tht pressure cooking raw rice will turn the rice into par boiled rice...thanks a lot for the information.

kavim10
14th November 2008, 03:43 AM
Thankyou Mrs. Mano and swapnasureshbabu, for ur kind advice. Mrs. Mano I tried ur raw rice idli 1. It came out very well.

Thattai
14th November 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Thanks for the recipe... look fwd to trying it soon...

Mrs.Mano
16th November 2008, 11:37 PM
[tscii] I am posting here a tasty recipe here which I tried last week.

SOYA MANCHURIYAN:

Ingredients:

chopped spring onion-1 cup
finely chopped onion- 1
tomato ketchup- 2 tsp
soya sauce- 1 tbsp
chilli sauce- 1 tbsp
turmeric powder- half sp
chopped capsicum-1
corn flour- 2 tbsp
ginger paste- 1 tbsp
garlic paste- 1 tbsp
aginamoto- quarter sp
salt to taste
oil-enough to fry

For marination:

soya- 100gms
egg-1
chilli powder- 1 ½ tsp
turmeric powder- half sp
ginger paste- 1 tbsp
garlic paste- 1 tbsp
corn flour- 2 tbsp
chilli sauce- 1 tbsp
soy sauce- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Soak the soya balls in lots of boiled water for 20 minutes. Then drain the hot water and wash the balls in lots of cold water. Sqeeze out the water out off the balls completely. Add all the ingredients for the marination with enough salt. Mix well and keep the balls in marinations for 30 minutes. Then deep fry the soya balls in hot oil to golden brown.

Heat a pan and pour 3 tbsp of oil. Add the onions and fry them well. Then add the ginger and garlic paste and fry them for a few seconds. Add all the sauces with the powders and ketchup and fry for a few seconds again. Mix the corn flour with a a cup of water and pour it to the fried mixture. Add the soya balls and fry them in the gravy on slow fire. When the gravy is thickened and dried, put off the fire.

[html:dcd3e4fe42]
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2qhfWJltZTY/SSJQ1ngPB2I/AAAAAAAAAN8/7AVRJ6Dt8Vs/s640/CIMG0397.JPG
[/html:dcd3e4fe42]

Mrs.Mano
17th November 2008, 12:01 AM
[tscii:3a5310b13b]Dear Thattai!

You have asked a recipe of chicken kheema gravy. I have a recipe for ‘chicken balls gravy’. Is it ok for you? Or you want chicken kheema in a gravy?
[/tscii:3a5310b13b]

Thattai
17th November 2008, 03:22 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Preferably looking for chicken kheema in (thick) gravy. Basically, something to accompany rotis. If chicken balls gravy also fits the bill, please provide both recipes if it is not too much trouble.

Thank you.

Thattai

suvai
21st November 2008, 07:11 AM
Dear mrs mano...............:-) nallaa irukeengala?
oru periya favour....mudinja andra style mor kuzhambu recipe irunthaa pagirnthukollunga plz plz & thank u very much...........with regards....suvai

Thattai
22nd November 2008, 11:26 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Made the chicken in tomato gravy. It was pretty easy to prepare and pretty good to taste.

Thanks,

Thattai

kavim10
25th November 2008, 07:33 AM
Dear pr,
I saw ur idli recipe with long grain rice. I have one question, does the same batter can be used for dosa preparation?
Thanks, kavitha

pr
26th November 2008, 01:46 AM
yes kavi . Dosas are crisp too.

dev
26th November 2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano, can u pls post a recipe for crisp ragi pakodas please!!!...

vm
27th November 2008, 06:40 AM
Mrs, Mano,

Can you post Salem's special and chettiyar version's Vadagam please?

Mrs.Mano
28th November 2008, 12:42 AM
[tscii:a6c0a8b873]Dear Thattai!

Here is the ‘chicken balls kuzhambu’ recipe for you. I will post the other recipe with chicken mince within a few days.
And thanks a lot for the nice feedback for the recipe ‘chicken in tomato gravy’.

CHICKEN BALLS KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

For balls:

Chicken mince- 500 gms
Onion-1
Shredded coconut- 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chilli powder- half sp
Coriander powder- half sp
Small piece 0f chinnamon-1
Clove-2
Green chilli-1
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Grind all these ingredients with enough salt. Add 3 tbsp of chopped coriander and mix well. Make small balls out of this paste.

For kuzhambu:

Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- 2 arcs
Chopped tomatoes- 1 cup
Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
Chopped onion- 1
Potato cubes- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 5 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp

Grind the following to a thick paste:

Sambar onions- 6
Green chilli-1
Shredded ginger- half sp
Garlic flakes[small]-6
Shredded coconut- half cup
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
Cinnamon- a small piece
Clove-2
Fennel seeds- half sp

Procedure:

Heat the oil in a broad pan and add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the onion, tomato, curry leaves and the turmeric powder and fry well until every thing is cooked nicely and the oil floats on the surface. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a few minutes. Add 3 cups of water and the potato cubes with enough salt. Let it simmer for 15 minutes. Then add the ground paste with a cup of water. Let the gravy simmer for 5 minutes. Add the balls five at a time. When all the balls are cooked, they will come out to the surface. Continue to cook for a few minutes. . [/tscii:a6c0a8b873]

pr
28th November 2008, 05:03 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
First of all sory for posting a delayed feedback for cashew burfi.The taste was excellent.We all liked it. I have a few questions.
It was more like a halwa and took a very long time to reach he consistency(unlike badham burfi) .Even after settling time , we were able to cut it but not a smooth burfi. And the colour was not white ,it became light brown.(Khoa would be an old stock or what) .Where did I go wrong. Other than these the taste was very excellent.It was more like a paalgova.
Please correct me and I will try again . Will it be a smooth burfi if we dont add the khoa??
Thanks and Regards
Pr

Mrs.Mano
29th November 2008, 11:50 PM
[tscii:392cb72f15]Dear Dev!

Here is the recipe of ‘Ragi pakoda’ for you!!

RAGI PAKODA:

INGREDIENTS:

Ragi flour- 4 cups
Pottukadalai powder- half cup
Groundnut powder[coarse]- 1 tbsp
Finely sliced onion-2 cupச்
Finely chopped green chilli- 1 tbsp
Finely chopped ginger- half sp
Finely chopped coriander leaves- half cup
Curry leaves-20
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil to fry

Procedure:

Sieve the ragi and pottukadalai flour. Add all the ingredients to the flour except ghee. Heat the ghee and pour it on the flour. Mix well with the fingers. Just sprinkle a little water if the juice of the onion is not enough. Add small pieces of pakodas in hot oil and fry them to a crisp golden brown colour. [/tscii:392cb72f15]

Mrs.Mano
29th November 2008, 11:53 PM
[tscii:7620621802]Dear Suvai!

Here is the recipe of ‘andhra morkuzhambu’ for you which was given to me by a friend of Andhra.

ANDHRA MOR KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Curd- half liter
Shredded coconut-1 cup
White pumpkin[poosanikkai] pieces- 1 cup
Bengal gram- 3 tbsp
Green chillies-7
Ginger- half sp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Coriander seeds- 1 tsp
Asafotida- a small piece
Black gram-1 tsp
Curry leaves-10
Red chillies-5
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp

Procedure:

Soak the Bengal gram in enough water for 1 hour and grind it with the coconut, ginger, coriander seeds and the green chillies to a coarse paste. Mix this with the curd. Boil the vegetable with the turmeric powder and enough salt. Heat a pan and add the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the black gram, asafetida, curry leaves, red chillies and the coriander leaves. Fry for a few seconds. Then add the curd mixture and the cooked vegetable with enough salt for the kuzhambu. When the kuzhambu starts to simmer, put off the fire.

[/tscii:7620621802]

Mrs.Mano
29th November 2008, 11:59 PM
[tscii:a4c6e7b501]Dear Vm!

Do you mean ‘ karuvadakam’ which we use for tempering and Non veg recipes?
I have only our traditional recipe. I do not know either the Salem's or chettiyar's version.

kaima idli and kara dosai are prepared in different styles in every restaurant. I do not know their recipes. I can post my versions if you need. [/tscii:a4c6e7b501]

Mrs.Mano
30th November 2008, 12:02 AM
Dear Pr!

Could you please post here the recipe of Munthiri burfi so that I can go through it and clarify? If you want a recipe of Cashew burfi without khoa, I will post it for you here.

suvai
30th November 2008, 09:19 PM
Dear Mrs Mano!!!! :-)
Thank u so very much for the Andra More Kuzhambu Recipe....try pannitu solaren.
Hope all is well..........tc & thanks once again nga!

dev
1st December 2008, 10:05 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano, thanks a lot for the ragi pakoda recipe... tried it y'day eve... it turned out very crisp & yummy...Have a Q though...when I tried one this morning I found tht it has lost all the crispiness... where could I be wrong?... is it coz I added lil water to the flour or could it be coz of the onions used?...

thriinone
1st December 2008, 10:52 AM
Dear Mano madam,

gnaayiru dhorum naan virumbi samaiyal seivadhaal enga veetu ammaNikku vidumurai koduthu viduven. sila neram naanum ammaniyum serndhu samaippom. ungal raagi bakkoda netru maalai sitrundikku seidhadhu enga veetu ammanikkum sari, kuzhanthaigaLukkum sari, niramba pidichadhu.

nandriyo nandri.

Mrs.Mano
1st December 2008, 02:23 PM
அன்புள்ள thriinone!!

ராகி பக்கோடாவை நீங்களும் உங்களின் மனைவியுமாகச் சேர்ந்து செய்து குழந்தைகளுடன் சுவைத்து, எனக்கும் அதற்கான பின்னூட்டம் தந்ததற்கு என் நன்றியையும் மகிழ்வையும் தெரிவித்துக் கொள்கிறேன். மனைவிக்கு ஞாயிறு தோறும் விடுமுறை தரும் பண்புக்கு என் ஸ்பெஷல் பாராட்டுக்கள்!!

Mrs.Mano
1st December 2008, 02:23 PM
[tscii:0aba66dc23]Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on ‘Ragi pakoda’!! Due to the water you have added, it might have lost its crispness. If you want it crisp even the next day, you can reduce the pottukkadalai pr to half and add 2 tbsp of rice flour.
[/tscii:0aba66dc23]

vm
2nd December 2008, 04:11 AM
Mano mam,

Can you please post your version of vadagam,kaima idli and kara dosai?

Thanks

dev
2nd December 2008, 04:55 PM
[tscii:c3c14af97d]Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on ‘Ragi pakoda’!! Due to the water you have added, it might have lost its crispness. If you want it crisp even the next day, you can reduce the pottukkadalai pr to half and add 2 tbsp of rice flour.
[/tscii:c3c14af97d]

Sear Mrs.mano, Will try it next time & let you know...:)

sinrultz
3rd December 2008, 06:26 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Whenever I try a new dish, I am always tempting to get you verson of it coz Im pretty sure if would taste even better with your recipe.
I recently tried 2 new dishes in the restaurant, Vegetable Saagu and Mushroom chops. Could you post your version of it.

dev
5th December 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano, can u pls post a recipe for pavakkai chips... I tried frying pavakkai slices until crispy & adding salt & chilly pwd to it...it tasted good but consumed a LOT of oil...

& also a recipe for makkan peda please...:slurp:

pr
7th December 2008, 06:35 AM
[tscii:69328d5fc8]Dear Mrs Mano
Here is your cashewnut burfi reposted .
CASHEW NUT BURFI

Ingredients:

Cashew nuts- 1 cup
Sugar- 1 ½ cups
Saffron- a pinch
Ghee- 100gm
Kova-50 gms

Procedure:

Soak the cashew nuts in enough water over night. Grind it finely to a paste. Mix it with the sugar, pour in a pan and heat it on medium fire. When the mixture becomes sticky add the kova and mix well. Add the ghee slowly and mix well. Add the cardamom powder and saffron. When the mixture leaves out from the corners and the ghee slightly oozes out, pour the mixture on a greased plate and spread it evenly. When cooled, cut it in to desired pieces.

Please clarify my doubt whenever you get time . If time permits Please post the recipe of munthiri burfi without khoya also.
Also, I am sure you have posted a recipe for rasamalai using eggs .I could not find it now . Could you please repost it .
Thanks and regards
Pr
[/tscii:69328d5fc8]

Mrs.Mano
7th December 2008, 10:15 PM
[tscii:64bacd69f1]Dear VM!

Here are the recipes you have asked!!

KARUVADAGAM:

Ingredients:

Small onions-3kg,
6 whole garlic pods,
Mustard seeds-200gms,
Fenugreek seeds-100gms,
Split black gram-250gms,
Cumin seeds-250grams,
Salt especially crystal salt-2 handfuls,
Castor oil-200ml.

Procedure:

Peel off the outer skins and chop onions and garlic finely. Add all the other things with it. These combined ingredients are always smashed in an ‘ural’ lightly. Instead you can crush them in a mixi lightly so that they can be shaped into lemon sized balls. Take care not to crush them in full force then the juice will ooze out. Make the balls and place them all in a flat plate. Dry them in hot sun. In the evening, break all of them, add half of the castor oil, mix well and make balls again. In the morning, place them on the plate and again let it dry on the heat of the sun. Again in the evening do the same process using the other half portion of the castor oil. These balls must be dried in the hot sun for 4 or 5 days until they are well dried. Then you can keep them for a whole year-even for more days.

KAARA DOSAI:

Ingredients:

Mashed potato-1 cup
Finely chopped onion- half cup
Finely chopped tomato-half cup
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds- half sp
Asafetida- half sp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Butter- 2 tbsp
Chopped coriander-3 tbsp
Oil- 2 tbsp
dosai batter

Procedure:

Heat the oil with the butter. Add the cumin seeds and when they splutter add the onion and fry well. Then add the tomato with the powders and fry well until the tomatoes are mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the mashed potato with enough salt and fry on slow for a few minutes sprinkling little water. Put off the fire and let it cool down.
Pour a big spoonful batter on a hot tawa and spread it very thinly. When the upper side is becoming plain without any traces of batter, pour a spoon of potato mixture and spread it thinly. Fold the dosa and pour a spoon of ghee around it. When both sides are crisp and golden brown, take it off the fire.

KAIMA IDLI:

Ingredients:

Idli-8
Plain flour- half cup
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Corn flour- 1 tbsp
Oil to fry
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- a few
Finely chopped sambar onions- half cup
Finely mashed tomato-2 cups
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander- 3 tbsp
Fine bread crumbs- 1 cup

Procedure:

Make a thick batter with the plan flour, corn flour, salt and 1 tsp of chilli powder. Cut the idlies in to the shape of finger chips. Coat them with the batter and then roll on the breadcrumbs. Deep fry them to golden brown colour. Place them on a kitchen towel. Heat a pan and pour 3 tbsp of oil. Add the sambar onion sand fry them well. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and the coriander leaves. Fry them until they are cooked and the oil floats on top. Add the powders and fry for a few seconds. Add the fried idlies and mix well until they are coated with the tomato mixture evenly.

[/tscii:64bacd69f1]

Mrs.Mano
11th December 2008, 09:29 AM
Dear sinrultz!

Here are the recipes of ' mushroom chops and vegetable sagu' which you have requested!

VEGETABLE SAGU:

Ingredients:

Mixed vegetables- 2 cups
Potato [cut into small cubes] - 1
Mashed tomato-2 cups
Turmeric powder- half sp
Shredded Coconut-2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Chopped Coriander leaves- half cup
Finely shredded ginger - half sp
Cashew nut-2
Oil- 3 tbsp

Fry the following in a tsp of oil and powder them coarsely:

Red chillies-3, coriander seeds- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the mustards and when they splutter add all the vegetables with enough salt, turmeric powder and ginger. Add 2 cups of water and cook them finely. When they are half done, grind the coconut with the cashew nuts and add it to the simmering gravy. Lastly sprinkle the powder and cook on slow fire for a few minutes.

MUSHROOM CHOPS:

Ingredients:

Mushroom [cut into small pieces] - 2 cups
chilli powder- 1 tsp
chilli sauce- 1 tsp
Thick tomato juice- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Chopped spring onion- 2 cups
Slit green chillies-2
Chopped capsicum- 2 tbsp
Shredded ginger- half sp
Chopped coriander- half
Oil-2 tbsp

Procedure:

Mix the chilli powder, chilli sauce, turmeric powder, tomato salt with the mushroom and marinate the mushroom for half an hour. Heat a pan and add the oil. Add the spring onin with the green chillies, capsicum and the ginger. Fry well and add the mushroom. Cook it on slow fire without adding the water. Lastly add the coriander leaves.

Mrs.Mano
13th December 2008, 08:17 AM
[tscii:1b157adc5c]Dear Thattai!

Here is the recipe for ‘chicken Kheema gravy ’ for you! I didn’t add the chicken kheema. But I have minced the chicken pieces in to very small pieces and added in the gravy.

CHICKEN KHEEMA GRAVY:

Ingredients:

Chicken mince- half kilo
Mashed tomato-2 cups
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves- half cup
Oil- 3 tbsp
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Grind the following in to a paste:
Shredded coconut- 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts-5
Poppy seeds- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds- half sp
Garlic flakes [small]- 5
Shredded ginger- half sp
Sliced and fried onion- 1 cup

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the onion and fry it to dark brown. Remove it from the oil and grind with all the ingredients mentioned above to a paste. In the same oil fry the tomato with the turmeric powder and the chilli powder. When the tomatoes are finely cooked and the oil floats on the surface, add the chicken with enough salt and fry for a few minutes. Then add the ground paste with a cup of water and cook for a few minutes. Decorate with the coriander leaves.

[/tscii:1b157adc5c]

Mrs.Mano
13th December 2008, 08:26 AM
[tscii:07b41984bc]Here I am posting an interesting recipe of ‘ Vendaikkai pachadi ’ !

VENDAIKKAI PACHADI:

Ingredients:

Ladies fingers [cut into small pieces]- 2 cups
Finely chopped tomato- half cup
Finely chopped onion-1
Sambar powder- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Oil- 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds- half
Finely chopped coriander leaves- 4 tbsp
Fresh curd- 3 cups
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the cumin seeds and when they splutter, add the vegetable and fry for a few minutes. Then add the onion, salt and the tomato with the turmeric powder. Fry for some minutes. Now add the coriander leaves and sprinkle the sambar powder. Mix well and fry for a few minutes. When cooled add the cooked vegetable to the fresh curd. Add a pinch of salt. Mix well and serve. [/tscii:07b41984bc]

Mrs.Mano
13th December 2008, 08:29 AM
[tscii]Dear Dev!

Here is the recipe of ‘bitter gourd chips’ you have asked. I will post the recipe of ‘makkan peda’ after some time.

PAAKALKAI CHIPS[BITTER GOURD CHIPS]:

Ingredients:

Bitter gourd- half kilo
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chillies- 6
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
Tamarind- a small gooseberry size

Procedure:

Cut the pakal kai in to thin slices. Grind the tamarind with the chillies and the turmeric powder to a fine paste. Add this to the vegetable with enough salt. Mix well and marinate them for half an hour. Then fry them to crisp chips in hot oil.

dev
13th December 2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks Mrs.Mano... will try this version of pavakkai chips & let u know the outcome...:)

swapnasureshbabu
17th December 2008, 02:52 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
i tried ur tomato thokku recipe and its fantastic
My hubby liked it very much.Thks so much.

dev
17th December 2008, 08:49 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Can u pls post a recipe for bread channa & also for peas masala that is served with bread... i find tht they taste very different from the normal peas masala & channa masala we make for chapathis...

swapnasureshbabu
19th December 2008, 05:52 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
i tried ur Peerkangai kothsu and kollu rasam , its really good .before visiting ur website cooking everyday was a headache, i was wondering wht to prepare today and tomo ...but nowadays i just visit ur blog and cook ur recipes .its soooooo helpful to me ....ur blog is a life saver for me .
thks a lot...

PoonaiKutty
19th December 2008, 07:42 AM
[tscii]Dear Dev!

Here is the recipe of ‘bitter gourd chips’ you have asked. I will post the recipe of ‘makkan peda’ after some time.

PAAKALKAI CHIPS[BITTER GOURD CHIPS]:

Ingredients:

Bitter gourd- half kilo
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chillies- 6
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
Tamarind- a small gooseberry size

Procedure:

Cut the pakal kai in to thin slices. Grind the tamarind with the chillies and the turmeric powder to a fine paste. Add this to the vegetable with enough salt. Mix well and marinate them for half an hour. Then fry them to crisp chips in hot oil.

Hi Mrs.Mano ...have been followign ur recipes for some days .... thansk for all ur wrk.

Jus a dbt .. can marinating pavakkai in puli mix for half n hour is enough to reduce the bitter taste in tht ??

Also can you pls help me with the recipe for Adhirasam?

vm
21st December 2008, 02:40 AM
Mrs. Mano,

Thank you very much for the recipes. I will try soon and let you know how it turned out to be.

Thanks!!

Mrs.Mano
21st December 2008, 01:04 PM
[tscii:d20f40039e]Dear Pr!

I couldn’t post the recipes earlier due to my ill health. I regret for the delayed reply.

As we add khoa and more ghee, it sometimes tends to become like Halwa. In some shops they add some flour when they make khoa. I am posting here two varieties of Cashew nut burfi recipes which were given by my friend. Hope these will give you satisfaction.

Here I am also posting the recipe of Rasamalai for you. This is my favourite recipe which had been given by close relative years back and never had I tried any other rasmalai recipe.

CASHEW NUT BURFI-1

Ingredients:

Cashew nuts- 200gm
Ghee-1/2 cup
Sugar-400gm
Saffron- a pinch
Milk- enough to grind the cashew nuts
Cardamom powder-half sp[optional]

Procedure:

Soak the cashew nuts in warm water for 2 hours and then grind with a little milk to a fine paste. Heat a kadai and adds this paste along with the sugar. Cook on medium fire adding the ghee in intervals and mixing continuously. Add the saffron and the cardamom powder and mix well. When the ghee starts to ooze out on top, add the cardamom powder and mix well. Pour on greased plate. When cooled, cut in to desired shapes.

NB: If you want to add khoa, you must add 150gm of khoa before adding the saffron.

CASHEW NUT BURFI:

Ingredients:

Cashew nuts- 75 gms
Sugar- 150gm
Plain flour- 75gms
Ghee- 75gm
Cardamom pr- half sp[optional]

Procedure:

Soak the cashew nuts in warm water for 2 hours and then grind them to a fine paste. Heat a pan and add 2 tsp of ghee. Add the plain flour and fry it on slow fire for a few minutes. Then add the ground paste and fry for a few seconds. Then add the sugar and fry for some minutes. Add the ghee in intervals. When the ghee starts to ooze out on top, add the cardamom powder and mix well. Pour on greased plate. When cooled, cut in to desired shapes.

RASMALAI:

Ingredients:

Full cream milk powder- 1 ¼ cup
Plain flour- 1 tsp
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Egg-1
Saffron- 2 pinches
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Finely sliced almond- 2 tbsp
Finely chopped pista- 2 tbsp

For the milk:

Slightly warm water – 4 cups
Milk powder- 20tsp
Sugar to taste

Procedure:

Combine the milk powder with the baking powder and the plain flour and sieve them thrice. Add the oil and mix well with the fingers thoroughly. Then add the egg and mix well to make a smooth dough. Make smooth balls of small gooseberry size[arai nellikkai]. Mix the milk powder with the warm water. Add enough sugar according to yr taste. Heat a broad vessel and pour the milk. When it starts to simmer, reduce the fire a little [ but the milk should be simmering-not vigorously] Drop the balls five at a time very slowly. When the balls are cooked, they will double in size and come to the top. Then again add another set of balls. Thus complete all the balls. Let the milk simmer for another five minutes. Sprinkle the almond and pista on top. Put off the fire. When cooled, keep it in the fridge and serve.

[/tscii:d20f40039e]

pr
23rd December 2008, 07:22 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried the burfi immediately. I tried the first one . Superb. I got perfect burfis. I will have to try the second one sometime later .
Thanks
Regards
Pr

sinrultz
25th December 2008, 07:24 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Thank you very much for Sagu & Mushroom Chops!! Tried out both of them with fantastic results as always.

Hope you keeping well now maam'??

Mrs.Mano
26th December 2008, 02:25 PM
Dear Dev!

Here I am posting the recipes you have requested. The peas masala is a different one and I hope you would enjoy it.

PEAS MASALA:

Ingredients:

Fresh or frozen peas- 1 cup
Khoya- half cup
Cumin seeds- half sp
Chilli pr- 1 tsp
Crushed green ginger- 1 tsp
Crushed ginger- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Tomato juice- half cup
Salt to taste
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Garam masala- half sp

Procedure:

Heat the oil and the ghee. Add the cumin seeds and when they start to splutter add the hkoya and fry it to slightly golden brown. Then add the peas along with all the powders, ginger and the green chilli. Mix well for a few seconds. Add the tomato juice with enough salt and water. Cook the peas until they become tender. Sprinkle the garam masala and mix well. Add the coriander leaves and put off the fire.

BREAD CHANNA:

Ingredients:

Chick peas [soaked and cooked]- 1 cup
Finely chopped onion- 1 cup
Finely crushed tomato- 2 cup
Butter-1 tbsp
Oil- 3 tbsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Bread slices-6
Chopped coriander- 4 tbsp

Grind the following to a coarse paste:

Cinnamon- 1 piece
Ginger- 1 tsp
Garlic- 4 flakes
Shredded Coconut - quarter cup
Cardamom-1
Clove-1

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the onion and fry well. Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder and fry till the mixture becomes like paste and the oil floats on top. Add the powders, chick peas, and the ground paste with enough salt. When the peas are cooked well and the gravy becomes thick enough, sprinkle the coriander leaves and put off the fire. Toast the bread slices with the butter on hot tawa. Serve the chick peas gravy with the bread toasts.

Mrs.Mano
26th December 2008, 02:29 PM
Dear Swapnasureshbabu!

I felt happy to know that you had prepared tomato thokku, peerkangai kothsu and kollu rasam with fantastic results. Thanks a lot for your nice feedback. These kinds of feedbacks always inspire me to try more and more interesting recipes and post here promptly!!

Mrs.Mano
26th December 2008, 03:30 PM
Dear PoonaiKutty!

Thank you very much for the nice appreciation.

Regarding your doubt- half an hour is enough for marinating the pakalkai with the puli mix.

Here is the recipe of ADHIRASAM you have requested.

ADHIRASAM:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 200gms
Jaggery- 300gms
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Ghee- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Wash and soak the raw rice in enough water for an hour. Then drain the water completely and spread the wet rice on a clean cloth. After an hour, pound the rice in to a fine flour. The rice must not be dried for a long time. The ground rice flour must be soft and very cool- not very dry. Sieve it thrice. Prepare the syrup with the jaggery. The syrup [ paagu] must become thick. When you pour a small drop in a cup of water, it must be like wax and could be made like a small ball. Put off the fire. Add cardamom powder to the syrup and mix well. Immediately add little by little the rice flour to the paagu and mix well. Do not add all the flour. When the dough becomes like chapathi dough, stop adding the flour. Spread a tbsp of ghee inside a bowl and then pour the dough in it. Spread the remaining ghee on top. Keep it covered for a day. Before starting to fry the adhirasam, mix well the dough. If you make a small ball, it must be smooth and soft. It must not break. Make a lemon size ball and flatten it with a little thickness. Drop it in hot oil and fry it to golden brown. Thus complete all the dough. The fire must be medium throughout the process.

dev
26th December 2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks a lot for the recipes Mrs.Mano!!!... will try them soon...

Take good care of your health...:)

luz
30th December 2008, 12:14 AM
hi ms mano, i appreciate the good work ur doing. couild u tell me how to make the fruit pachadi they make in marriages , the one with fruits and looks red in color thanku-luz

Mrs.Mano
1st January 2009, 12:23 AM
I wish all the hubbers

" A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!"

dev
1st January 2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks MRS.Mano...Wish you & family the same!!!...

suvai
2nd January 2009, 07:41 AM
Happy New Year Mrs Mano & all the hubbers!!

pr
7th January 2009, 09:05 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried your rasmalai and VOW !!!!!!!!.It turned perfect . From now on I will follow your recipe .
Thanks and regards
Pr

swapnasureshbabu
9th January 2009, 04:21 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano
Thank you and wishing u too a very veryyy happy
new year .
Your brinjal kaara kulambu is a hit in our house. thanks a lot.

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2009, 01:42 PM
Dear Luz!

I think you are mentioning the 'Thakkali jam' which is served in Briyani feasts of marriages. It is prepared mainly with tomato, a few fruits and dry fruits. If that is you want, I will post here that recipe.

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2009, 01:44 PM
Dear Pr!

I know you will make the 'Rasmalai' perfectly!!! Thanks a lot for the nice feedback.

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2009, 01:46 PM
அனைத்து சகோதர, சகோதரிகட்கு என் இனிய புத்தாண்டு, பொங்கல் வாழ்த்துக்கள்!!

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2009, 01:47 PM
Dear swapnasureshbabu!!

Thank you very much for the feedback on 'Brinjal kaara kuzhambu'!!!

NOV
13th January 2009, 02:26 PM
உங்களுக்கு எனது இனிய பொங்கல் வாழ்த்துக்கள்!

pr
13th January 2009, 09:14 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Pongal nalvaazhtukkal !!!!!!!!. Did you see my fedback for the munthiri burfi .. It came out well .
Regards
Pr

luz
14th January 2009, 12:33 AM
hi ms mano, will that be sweet if so kindly post it thanking you.-

Mrs.Mano
17th January 2009, 12:29 AM
[tscii:9370080e1e]Dear Luz!

Here is the recipe for ‘Tomato fruit jam’ which I have already posted years ago in this same thread!

TOMATO FRUIT JAM:

Ingredients:

Tomato-500gms,
Mango-1,
Pineapple pieces-1cup,
Banana-3,
Dates-a handful,
Red apple-1,
Raisins-2tbsp,
Ghee-3tbsp,
Sugar-2 cups,
Cardamom-2tsp.

Procedure:

Cut all the fruits into tiny pieces separately. Powder the cardamom with 3tsp. sugar. Place a tawa on fire and put all the tomatoes. Cook on a medium fire till all the water evaporates. Then add the sugar. Within a few minutes both will mix nicely and give a glossy structure. Now add all the fruit pieces and mix well and cook for a few minutes under slow fire. Fry the raisins in the ghee and add this with the cardamom powder to the fruit mixture. Mix well. This is the time to add more sugar if it is wanted. Mix well till the sugar dissolves and put off the fire.

Note:

Bangalore tomato is more suitable than 'naattu thakkali'. The jam will be more delicious if it is kept in the fridge for sometime. According to the sweetness of the fruits and personal taste sugar may be needed much more sometimes. This we can add in the final stage before we put off the fire. Usually this is served with Biryani.[/tscii:9370080e1e]

luz
19th January 2009, 10:40 PM
hi ms mano, thanks for the prompt reply. will try it and give the feedback ,thanku-

Mrs.Mano
27th January 2009, 10:13 AM
MUTTON SOUP:

Ingredients:

Mutton[small pieces with bones]- 50 gms[cooked with 3 cups of water and a pinch of turmeric powder]
Cooked Thuar dal- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Crushed Tomato -1 cup
Finely chopped Sambar onions-10
Finely chopped coriander- half cup
Mint leaves- a few
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Peppercorns-1 tsp
Cumin seeds- half sp
Fennel seeds- half sp
Lime juice- 1 tbsp

Crush the following coarsely:

1 piece cinnamon, 1 cardamom, 1 cove and quarter sp- fennel seeds, 1 tsp crushed ginger, small garlic flakes-8

Procedure:

Heat a vessel and pour the ghee and the oil. Add the chopped onions and fry to golden brown. Then fry the crushed ingredients and fry for a few minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry well until the oil floats on top. Add the greens and fry for a second. Add the cooked mutton with the water and the cooked dal with enough salt. Add 1 or 2 cups of water according to the required consistency. Let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Grind the pepper and the Cummins coarsely and add them to the simmering soup. Allow the soup to simmer for 2 more minutes. Put off the fire and add the lime juice.

kavikuil
28th January 2009, 04:47 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I've tried many of your recipes and every single one has turned out wonderful. Thank you!

I have read somewhere about a garlic pickle which is not cooked, but soaked in lemon juice and salt for some period of time, until it is ready to eat. Apparently it's very good for health.

I wonder if you have any pickle recipes that uses raw garlic in it. If so, Could you share please.

Also, if you have any other pickle recipes that uses raw vegetables other than the typical mango pickle or lemon pickle, I'd love to try them too.

Thanks very much!

ksen
30th January 2009, 11:18 AM
Raw Garlic pickle

Since this taste can be strong, try it out with a small quantity, say two or three pods of garlic. Separate and peel the garlic cloves and chop them each into two or three pieces. Chop 5 or 6 green chillies into same size pieces. You can add more later if it is not spicy enough. Put the chopped garlic and chillies in a glass bottle or jar. Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder, and salt and mix. Add the juice of two or three lemons, or more, till the pieces are submerged. This pickle can be used after two days, only the chillies take longer to become edible. You can adjust the taste with more salt or lemon juice any time, as no cooking is involved.
Be sure to keep in the fridge after two days, as no preservative is used. You can also add ginger for a variation.

kavikuil
30th January 2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks Ksen, that sounds simple and easy.. I'll give it a try and let you know.

sonu gopi
4th February 2009, 07:20 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano

Thanks alot for all your lovely recipes. Just by thinking of this Tomato Fruit Jam my mouth waters.... :oops:

How long can we keep this bottled jam in the fridge?? Can it last for a couple of weeks?? Btw...is it raw or ripe manggo that is called for in this recipe?

Thanks
sonu

sonu gopi
4th February 2009, 07:38 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano

My daughter loves Channa Masala to go with her rotis. Appreciate it very much if you could send in your version. We tried it at a local Pujabi eatery and she simply loves it..!! :thumbsup:

huldaashok
4th February 2009, 10:51 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

How are you? Thanks for providing all the tasty recipes. I constantly keep myself updated with all your recipes. My husband just rang me from office to ask what I am doing for Dinner.

I immediately referred to your site and am going to make the vegetable sagu for chappathi.

Just want to ask you something. Can I use your Chicken mince ball curry recipe to make "urundaikari kulambhu".

Thanks,
Hulda

Mrs.Mano
4th February 2009, 06:32 PM
Dear Kavikkuyil!

I will post a recipe of mixed vegetable pickle soon. As I am roaming around Kerala now, I couldnt post it now.

Mrs.Mano
4th February 2009, 06:36 PM
Dear Sonu!

I have already posted here the recipe for 'Channa masala' . please go through the index.
Thanks a lot for the appreciation.
You can keep the 'tomato fruit Jam' in the fridge for 10 days. You must use ripe mano only.

Mrs.Mano
4th February 2009, 06:38 PM
Dear Hulda!

How are you?
Chicken mince ball curry is an another name for ' kozhi kari urundai kuzambu'!

kavikuil
4th February 2009, 11:01 PM
Dear Kavikkuyil!

I will post a recipe of mixed vegetable pickle soon. As I am roaming around Kerala now, I couldnt post it now.

Thank you!! No hurry at all, Mrs.Mano.
Have a great trip!!!

huldaashok
5th February 2009, 04:33 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Sorry I meant with goat mince can I make the same recipe or I need to add some more spices.

Thanks,
Hulda

pr
10th February 2009, 04:49 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Hope you are doin great .
Could you please post the recipe for the old fashioned mysorepak .The ones which are a bit harder(but still melts in the mouth).How to get the colour ,brownish in the middle and creamish white at the ends . Please take your time .
Have a good Kerala trip
Thanks and regards
Pr

Mrs.Mano
12th February 2009, 04:44 PM
Dear Hulda!

Yes. You can follow the chicken ball curry's recipe for goat's mince also.

Mrs.Mano
12th February 2009, 04:48 PM
[tscii:5538af8371]Dear Pr!

I have never tested that old type mysore pak as I don’t like it much. But I have the recipe. If you want it, I will post the same.
[/tscii:5538af8371]

Mrs.Mano
12th February 2009, 04:53 PM
[tscii:95d59a9f81]Dear kavikkuyil!

Here is the recipe of ‘mixed vegetables pickle’ for you!

MIXED VEGETABLE PICKLE:

INGREDIENTS:

Finely chopped vegetables
- 1 cup
Slit Green chillies-10
Finely shredded ginger- 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Asafotida- a small piece
Red chillies-10
Enough lime juice and salt
Gingelly oil- half cup

[b]PROCEDURE:

Put the vegetables with the green chillies and enough salt in a flat vessel. Add enough lime juice. The vegetables should be immersed in lime juice freely for a whole night. In the morning dry the vegetables in the heat of the sun. All the lime juice should be sucked and the vegetables should be thoroughly dried. In the evening add the ginger to the vegetables and crush them in the mixi coarsely. Fry the asafotida, the red chillies and the fenugreek seeds to golden brown and powder them. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the vegetables and fry them on slow fire. Add the powder and mix well. Fry for a few seconds. Put off the fire.
[/tscii:95d59a9f81]

pr
12th February 2009, 09:32 PM
yes Mrs Mano please post it . Thanks
pr

dev
16th February 2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

How do we make this sweet called 'honeydew'?

suvai
17th February 2009, 08:39 AM
Dear mrs mano....epadi irukeengaaaa....:-)
Once u get back & settle down....kindly post Thengai biscuit.....irunthaal & time kidaikumbothu....this biscuit....konjam hard ah irukum at the same time...ulla soft ah irukum...(no egg)......not sure if i had asked u for the same before......take care nga...we will connect once u get back.....:-) suvai

easgiri
17th February 2009, 10:24 AM
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... can you send me your recipes to my email: srilekhasenthil@yahoo.com This is the second time i am requesting ..pleeee

Mrs.Mano
21st February 2009, 10:34 PM
[tscii:4d4ac99ba6]Dear Pr!
Here is the recipe you have asked. I have recently found out that I have already posted the mysorepak recipe on 2003 in this same thread. Try it. As I have already informed I am roaming around Tamilnadu and so I couldn’t give an earlier reply.
You can find the recipe in the following link.
http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/860.01.04.34.html
[/tscii:4d4ac99ba6]

Mrs.Mano
21st February 2009, 10:42 PM
[tscii:c1e7527588]Dear Dev!

I never heard about any recipe called ‘Honeydew’. If I come across it, I will inform you. If you know anything about it, please write to me .

[/tscii:c1e7527588]

Mrs.Mano
21st February 2009, 10:44 PM
Dear Suvai!

I have already posted the recipe'coconut biscuit' in this same thread for you. I think that you had forgotten it. I will be here till the end of March.

dev
21st February 2009, 10:46 PM
Mrs.Mano, I'll take a pic of it & send it to u the next time buy it... It's texture is something similar to rasgulla but it will be dark brown in colour... we get it in Krishna sweets & Annapoorna in cbe...

Mrs.Mano
21st February 2009, 10:48 PM
Hello Easgiri!

As I am now in India, I could not send my recipe collection now. I will go back to my residence at the end of March. Please remind me after that and I will send you the recipes.

suvai
22nd February 2009, 09:35 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano.....thank u nga!!!....I did get the recipe from this thread & even tried it....veryyy good taste....thanks nga!!.....when u r sending recipes to Easgiri.....thayavu seithu enakum anupunga plzzz onga till today recipes (by email)...thanks in advance.....:-)

pr
25th February 2009, 07:18 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Tried your mysorepak today with half cup of gram flour. I used half cup ghee and half cup oil . Dint use dalda . The sweet came out perfect . It was not yellow allover and had a little brown tint . I am happy about the results . Romba romba thanks unga lukku
Regards
Pr

kavithasenthil
27th February 2009, 03:57 AM
Hello pr,

Do you remeber me? :D

Big Hi to Mrs.Mano and others. :)

dev
27th February 2009, 10:32 AM
Welcome back Kavitha!!!...:)

Thattai
27th February 2009, 04:01 PM
Dear mrs. mano,

How are you? It's been a while since I logged in. Hope you are enjoying your travels.

I tried your onion chutney and garlic chutney sometime back. The onion chutney came out real nice. The garlic chutney turned out a little bitter even though I followed the tips you gave to someone else to avoid the bitterness.

MAde the curry leaves coconut chutney this morning (again). It was really delish. It is my fav coconut chutney at present. Thanks so much for sharing.

Thattai

pr
28th February 2009, 02:20 AM
Yes Kavitha . I remember you .
Welcome back .
Regards
Pr

ani
1st March 2009, 01:34 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I would like to haveyour recipe collections.Can you please share that ? or is it already available anywhere in the forum here....

I tried podalanga kootu. It came out well. I havent tried much, but wld like to start doing it from now on...

I thank you for your wonderful effort carried for so long...I stumbled upon this almost two years back, when i first started cooking.. I really appreciate your sincere efforts.

I have been learning recipes from my mom and mother-in-law..and when i want to try something new i remember this link full of your recipes..I have been recommending this to my friends who got married recently ..

And now i have planned to keep in touch regularly and try most of them..Hoping to get involved actively.. And thank you once again for ur effort...its been a great work..

kavithasenthil
1st March 2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks dev. How are you? :D

THats awesome pr, you do remember me. :D

Mrs.Mano
3rd March 2009, 10:00 PM
Dear Pr!

I felt happy to know that the mysore pak came out very well for you. Really I must appreciate you for yr enthusiasm!!

Mrs.Mano
3rd March 2009, 10:02 PM
Dear Kavitha Senthil!

A hearty welcome to you!
After a long time, I am seeing you here again! Hope you will come often.

Mrs.Mano
3rd March 2009, 10:05 PM
Dear Thattai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on the chutneys. Hope you are doing well with yr family.

Mrs.Mano
3rd March 2009, 10:09 PM
Dear Ani!

Thank you very much for the nice appreciation. As I am in India, I could not send my recipe's attachment now. Please remind me with your email address after March. That time I will be in my permenant address. From there I will send you.

Mrs.Mano
4th March 2009, 11:35 AM
[tscii:4930fe3d0b]Here I am going to post two tasty recipes.

GINGER THOKKU:

Ingredients:

Finely shredded ginger- 4 tbsp
Shredded coconut- 8 tbsp
Chilli powder- 1 sp:
Finely chopped tomato- 1 ½ cups
Gingelly oil- quarter cup
Tamarind- a gooseberry size
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- half sp

Procedure:

In a sp of oil, fry the ginger and the coconut to slightly golden brown colour. When cooled, grind them with the tamarind coarsely. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the chopped sambar onion and fry well. Add the tomato with the turmeric powder and fry them until they are mashed and the oil floats on top. Add the ground paste and the chilli powder with enough salt and cook until all the ingredients are combined well.

PRAWN KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Medium sized prawns- ¼ kilo
Tamarind- a big lime size
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Coriander powder- 1 ½ tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 5 tbsp
Sambar onions- half cup
Finely crushed tomato- 1 ½ cups
Fenugreek powder- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- 20
Drumstick pieces-10 [optional]
Lime juice 2tsp with half sp of turmeric powder

Procedure:

Clean and wash the prawns well and add the lime juice with the turmeric powder. Marinate the prawns in the lime juice for half an hour and wash well again. This way the smell will disappear. Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for half an hour and then extract its thick juice. Heat the oil and add both types of onions and fry to golden brown colour. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and cook until they are finely mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Then add the fenugreek powder and fry them on slow fire for 5 minutes. Pour the tamarind juice and add the powders with enough salt.Add the drumsticks and cook well for some minutes. When the drumsticks are almost cooked add the prawns and cook until they are cooked. Turn the fire to slow, add a tsp of gingelly oil and cook the kuzhambu for 2 or 3 minutes.
[/tscii:4930fe3d0b]

sinrultz
13th March 2009, 06:56 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Hope you are doing well.
Ma'am could you please post a recipe for Eeral Fry?

Mrs.Mano
13th March 2009, 10:58 PM
Dear sinrultz!

I regret that I could not give you the chicken lever fry recipe. I never learnt it as well as mutton blood poriyal as I am not fond of them.

suvai
26th March 2009, 03:31 AM
Dear Mrs Mano!!!
Epo thirubareenga ooril irunthu?
Hope all is well.
Take care
suvai

Mrs.Mano
31st March 2009, 01:18 PM
Dear Suvai!

I have already sent my mail to your email address.

Mrs.Mano
31st March 2009, 01:27 PM
I am going to post a new recipe. This is a special dish in Muslim food. There are many varieties in its preparations. Mine is a very tasty one.

CHICKEN THIKKADI:

Ingredients:

[html:733c364400]
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2qhfWJltZTY/SdHHLmzH7WI/AAAAAAAAAmk/IXrngbSfWC8/s640/CIMG0989.JPG
[/html:733c364400]

Boneless chicken pieces- 750gms
Rice flour- 1 cup
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- half sp
Chopped mint leaves- 1 cup
Chopped coriander leaves- 1 cup
Finely chopped small onion- 1+ half cup
Finely sliced onion- half cup
Chopped tomato- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Finely ground coconut- half cup
Thick coconut milk- 1 cup
Egg-1
Oil- 4 tbsp

Grind the following into a paste:

fennel seeds- 1 tbsp, shredded ginger- 1 tbsp, small garlic pearls- 15, cardamom-1, cinnamon- 1 piece, clove-1, red chillies[de-seeded]-10, coriander seeds- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

The rice flour should be either fried flour or steamed one. [kozukkattai or idiyappam maavu is the most suitable one] sieve it. Beat the egg well.

Pour the oil in a broad vessel and heat it. Add 1 cup of small onions and the sliced onions and fry them well. Then add the ground paste with the turmeric powder. Fry well on slow fire. Then add the tomatoes and cook them until they are mashed well and the oil floats on the surface. Add the chicken pieces, salt and 3 cups of water. When the chicken pieces are half cooked, add the ground paste of coconut and let the gravy simmer for a few minutes. Reduce the fire and take a cup of gravy. Let it cool down for some minutes. Pour this gravy on the flour along with the egg. Add enough salt. Add the remaining small onion, turmeric powder and the chilli powder. Make a smooth dough and make small balls. Slightly flatten them and drop all the balls in to the simmering gravy. Add enough water. Let the gravy simmer for some minutes until the balls are cooked. Add the thick coconut milk and mix well. When the gravy starts to simmer, put off the fire.

suvai
1st April 2009, 05:03 AM
Dear mrs mano,
Thank you......naanum bathil pottu iruken nga!
tc
s

ani
17th April 2009, 10:51 PM
Dear Mrs.mano,

Can you share me the recipe for Veg/chicken momos along with chutney ?

Hope u had nice trip to India...I had asked for all your recipes earlier..could u pls mail them to my email id....
ani_parveen2202@yahoo.co.in

Mrs.Mano
23rd April 2009, 12:37 AM
[tscii:9b23d012e7]Dear Ani!

Here is the recipe of ‘Chicken Momos’ for you! I have tried to send my recipes collection to your email address just now. But it returned with a message that the email address is not valid'! Please write to me yr correct email address.

CHICKEN MOMOS:

Ingredients:

Chicken mince- 1 cup[ steamed ]
Chopped spring onions- half cup
Finely chopped garlic- half sp
Finely chopped ginger- half sp
Plain flour- 2 cups
Oil- 1 tsp
Chilli sauce-1tsp
Soy sauce- a few drops
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Add the vegetables to the mince with enough salt and the sauces. Mix well and make small balls. Make a smooth dough with the plain flour, salt and the oil. Make thin chappaathis. Take a chappathi, put a mince ball in the center and fold the corners towards the center. Finish all the chappathies like this. Steam them in a bamboo steamer. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
[/tscii:9b23d012e7]

ani
23rd April 2009, 10:54 PM
Thank you very much Mrs.mano. I tried Veg momo last weekend. it was good but i could not get the shape proper.

thats my proper email id. i am not sure why u weren't able to email me...Please send it ani_parveen2202@yahoo.co.in
or anishaparveen@indiatimes.com

Mrs.Mano
24th April 2009, 10:19 AM
[tscii:1249623489]Dear Ani!

Again I have tried the first email address. Again the message came that the ‘to’ address was not proper. Is there any underscore between ani and parveen? Anyhow I have sent my recipes collection to the second email address you have just given.

You must roll thinly the chappathi before filling it with the vegetable or chicken mince. And close it tightly with your fingers like you are doing with the ‘mothaga kozukkattai’. Then steam it. Hope this explanation will be helpful.

[/tscii:1249623489]

KPR
4th May 2009, 10:26 PM
Respected Mrs.Mano,
Can you please send me your recipe collection.
My email address is bhavyakm@gmail.com

Thanks,
PK

Mrs.Mano
7th May 2009, 12:09 AM
Dear KPR!

I have just sent my recipes collection to you!

Mrs.Mano
7th May 2009, 12:15 AM
Here I am posting two non-veg recipes which I tried recently.

FISH FRY:

Ingredients:

Fish pieces-12
Chilli powder- 1 to 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Enough oil to fry

Grind the following ingredients to a fine paste:

Shredded Coconut- 1 cup, fennel seeds- 1 tbsp, shredded ginger- 1 tbsp, small garlic flakes-10, sambar onions- 6

Procedure:

Wash and clean the fish pieces. Mix well with the paste, salt and the powders thoroughly and allow it to marinate in this mixture for 2 hours. Then fry them to golden brown in hot oil.

CHICKEN SOYA VADAI:

Ingredients:

Boiled and shredded chicken- 1 cup
Onion-2 [thinly sliced]
Gram dal powder- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- a few
Soya balls-8
Salt to taste
Enough oil to fry
Turmeric powder- half sp

fry the following in a spoon of oil and then grind coarsely:

Chopped Coriander leaves-half cup, sambar onions-6, green chillies-4, ginger- 1 tsp, garlic flakes-2, fennel seeds- 1 tsp, small piece of cinnamon-1

Procedure:

Fry the onions along with the curry leaves in a little oil and take away. Soak the soya balls in hot water for 10 minutes, then wash in cold water a few times, squeeze the water out of them and mash in a mixi. Add this to the chicken along with the turmeric powder, coarse paste, fried onion, gram dal powder with enough salt. Mix well thoroughly. Make small vadais and fry them in hot oil to golden brown.

suvai
10th May 2009, 07:20 AM
Dear mrs. mano!!!
enakum anupunga plz onga recipes...:-)
thank u thank u....................ipadiku suvai

sinrultz
20th May 2009, 05:32 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Hope you are doing well.
Ma'am may I request for some simple recipes using sprouts which are healthy too

Mrs.Mano
23rd May 2009, 12:37 PM
[tscii:df88850c35]Dear sinrultz!

Here I am posting a few recipes on sprouts for you!!

GREEN GRAM SPROUT RICE:

Ingredients:

green gram sprouts- 1 cup
basmati rice- 2 cups
sliced onion- 1 cup
slit green chillies-4
chopped mint and coriander leaves- ½ cup
ginger paste- half sp
small garlic flakes- 2 tbsp
tomato paste- 1 tbsp
shredded coconut [slightly roasted]- half cup
turmeric powder- half sp
salt to taste
sliced capsicum- 3 tbsp
sliced cabbage- 3 tbsp
oil and ghee- 2 tbsp each
roasted and coarsely powdered groundnuts- 3 tbsp
lemon juice- 1 tbsp

powder the following ingredients:

half sp- fennel seeds, 1 cardamom, 1 small piece of cinnamon

Procedure:

Cook the rice. Heat a pan and add the oil and the ghee. Add the sliced onion with the powdered garam masala and fry it well. Add the ginger paste with the garlic flakes and the turmeric powder. Fry well. Add the tomato paste with the green chillies and fry for a few minutes. Add the sprouts with a little salt and water. Cook until the green grams are half done. Add the cabbage, coriander, mint leaves and the capsicum and toss for a few minutes. Put off the fire. Pour the lemon juice and mix well. Add this to the cooked rice with enough salt for the rice. Mix well. Add the ground groundnuts and mix well. Lastly add the coconut and mix well.

GREEN GRAM SPROUTS CURRY:

Ingredients:

Green gram sprouts- 1 cup
Finely chopped tomato- 1 cup
Finely sliced onion- half cup
Finely chopped coriander leaves- half cup
Cumin seeds- half sp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder-half sp
Oil- 4 tbsp

Grind the following in to slightly coarse paste:

Shredded coconut- half cup, fennel seeds- half sp, small garlic flakes-3, shredded ginger- half sp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the cumin seeds and when they splutter, add the onion and fry well. Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder and cook well until the tomatoes are mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the green gram sprouts with enough salt and 2 cups of water. When they are half done, add the ground paste as well as the coriander leaves. Cook until the gravy thickens.

[/tscii:df88850c35]

suvai
23rd May 2009, 06:39 PM
Dear mrs mano!!
Would it be possible for you to give khari buiscut recipe.....(without egg) if you can plz.
Thank you for the bean sprout recipes above.
regards,
suvai

Thattai
25th May 2009, 12:03 AM
Dear Mrs. MAno,

Hope you are doing well.

Tried your Mushroom curry 2 and mutton briyani1 over the weekend. The mushroom curry was good and the briyani was fab. The taste was very good.

The only thing is that the mutton was a little tough, which I realised only when we sat down to eat. Is there anything that can be done for that after the cooking process is over? I pressure cooked the mutton for a few seeties before mixing with the rice and cooking in dum. Any help I can use in the future would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mrs.Mano
25th May 2009, 01:06 AM
Dear Thattai!

How are you?

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Mushroom curry as well as Mutton briyani. The meat of old ones are always tough where as the meat of the younger ones are soft. If you cook a soft meat, then cook in the pressure cooker for 3 whistles. If it is either rough or frozen, you must pressure cook for 5 whistles. If you marinate the mutton with pappaya paste for half an hour and then cook, it will be soft definitely. Hope these tips will be helpful.

Thattai
26th May 2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks Mrs. Mano,

Will try your tips next time I make Biryani. Do you by any chance know a chicken/mutton biryani recipe similar to what you get at Ponnusamy's in Chennai. I've heard that they cook the rice in coconut milk, though not sure about that.

If you have a recipe similar to theirs, would love to try it.

Thank you.

Mrs.Mano
29th May 2009, 04:28 PM
[tscii:1e2f555c7a]Dear Thattai!

I am posting here two Briyani recipes which have coconut milk in it. Hope you will enjoy cooking these two!! I have not yet tasted the briyani of ‘Ponnusamy’s’!

CHICKEN BRIYANI-1[ WITH COCONUT MILK]:

INGREDIENTS:

CHICKEN[SMALL PIECES]- 500GMS
BRIYANI RICE- 5 CUPS
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Thinly sliced onion- 5 cups
Finely chopped tomato- 6 cups
Coconut milk- 1 ½ cups
Chopped mint- a handful
Chopped coriander- a handful
Lime juice- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Ghee-1/2 cup
Oil- half cup
Turmeric powder-1 tsp

Grind the following to a fine paste:

Cumin seeds- half sp, peppercorn- ½ sp, fennel seeds- 1 sp, red chillies-8, ginger paste- 1 tsp, garli paste- 1 tsp, poppy seeds- 2 tsp, cinnamon- 1 piece, cardamom-2

Powder the following:

Cloves-7, cardamom-8, cinnamon2 pieces

Procedure:

Wash and soak the rice in enough water.
Marinate the chicken pieces with half of the turmeric powder, salt and the ground paste for an hour. Heat a pan and pour 4 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp of ghee. Add half of the powder and fry for a few seconds. Add 2 cups of onion and 2 cups of tomato and fry well until they are mashed and well cooked. Add the chicken pieces and cook until they are done. Put off the fire and mix in the lemon juice thoroughly.

Heat a broad vessel and pour the remaining ghee and the oil. Add the remaining powder and fry for a minute. Then add the remaining onion, tomato, ginger and garlic paste and the turmeric powder. Cook and fry well until they are mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the greens. Fry for a few seconds. Pour the coconut milk and 8 cups of water. Add the soaked rice and cook. When the rice is half- cooked add the salt and mix well. When all the water is evaporated, put off the fire. Spread the chicken masala on top and keep the rice in ‘dhum’ for 10 minutes. Then mix the rice carefully and again keep it in ‘dhum’ for another 10 minutes.

CHICKEN BRIYANI-2[WITH COCONUT MILK]

INGREDIENTS:

Briyani rice- ¾ kilo
Chicken pieces- 1 kilo
Sliced onion-5 cups
Ginger and garlic paste- 4 tbsp
Cashew nuts-12
Chopped tomato- 2 cups
Curd- 2 tbsp
Cumin powder- 1 tsp
White peppercorn powder- 1 ½ tsp
Poppy seeds- 1 tbsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Lime-2
Cinnamon-10
Cardamom-10
Cloves-10
Chopped Mint- 1 cup
Chopped coriander-2 cups
Green chillies-8
Salt to taste
Ghee- quarter cup
Oil- quarter cup
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Coconut milk- half cup

Procedure:

Cook the rice with salt.
Heat a vessel and pour the oil and half of the ghee. Add the masala spices and fry for a few seconds. Add the onion and the green chillies. Fry for a few minutes and then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and cook until they are well mashed and the oil floats on top. Add the ginger paste and the curd and cook for some minutes. Add the chicken pieces with the powders and salt. Cook until they are almost done. Grind the cashew nuts with the poppy seeds to a paste and mix this with the coconut milk. Add this to the gravy with the greens and further cook for a few minutes. Lastly add the lime juice and cook on a very low fire for a few seconds. Place the rice on a vessel. Pour this gravy on top and spread evenly. Pour the remaining ghee around the corners. Cook the briyani in ‘dhum’ for 15 minutes.

[/tscii:1e2f555c7a]

suvai
30th May 2009, 09:21 AM
Dear mrs mano!
The second biriyani recipe above... i want to try with vegetables. Would i have to decrease the liquid quantity?...becoz i have never made biriyani with coconut milk...athaan tempted to try!

Mrs.Mano
30th May 2009, 10:36 AM
Dear Suvai!

You have asked for eggless biscuits. But I have posted this recipe twice before.

I am glad that you are interested in making vegetable briyani using the ingredients of the chicken Briyani-2. For making pulao and briyani varieties, for 1 cup of rice, we need 2 cups of water for a soft texture. If you want the rice a little bit crisp, then 1 1/2 cups of water are enough. But for veg.briyani, you must decrease the quantity of garam masala spices-that means 6 cardamoms, 6 cloves and 6 cinnamon pieces are enough and also 750 kilo of vegetables are enough for 1 kilo rice.

Thattai
31st May 2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for you quick response Mrs. Mano. Will pass on the recipes to my friend who's been dying to have Ponnusamy's briyani, and will also try and make it myself soon.

Can we make mutton briyani also the same way? With similar quantities of mutton? Thanks again for the recipes.

suvai
1st June 2009, 05:14 AM
Dear mrs mano...:-)
Thank u nga for the alavu for veg biriyani variation with coconut milk.....kandipa going to try this one.. will keep u posted of the outcome.

Eggless biscuit keten...aanaa khari biscuit recipe kodutheengala? okay i will look thru the recipe u sent by email...

thanks once again nga!!
ipadiku
s

dks0709
2nd June 2009, 01:06 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Can you please email me your recipe collection. My email address is dks0709@yahoo.com

Appreciate it very much. Thank You.

suvai
6th June 2009, 08:21 AM
Dear mrs mano!!
I tried your paruppu urundai kuzhambu.....& it came out famously well...........:-) thank u thank u.......superb!!!
Hope all is well with u nga!
tc
s

suvai
13th June 2009, 06:10 PM
mrs mano...romba nalaa kanomey ongala...hope all is well......take care.

Mrs.Mano
27th June 2009, 12:29 AM
[tscii:5a97a461dd]
I am posting here an interesting tasty recipe which I have tried recently.

SOYA PULAO:

Ingredients:

Soya balls- 1 cup
Briyani rice- 2 1/2 cup
Onion-3
Slit green chillies-4
Chilli powder-1 tsp
Finely chopped tomato- half cup
Turmeric powder- half sp
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Small garlic flakes- 15
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 tbsp
Ghee- 3 tbsp
Chopped mint- half cup
Cashew nuts-8
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Clove-1
Cinnamon-1
Cardamom-1

Procedure:

Wash the rice and soak it in enough water for half an hour. Soak the soya balls in hot water for 10 minutes, drain the water, then soak them in cold water, and squeeze out all the extra water from the soya balls.

Grind the coconut with the cashew nuts and the tomatoes with enough water to a fine paste. Powder the cinnamon, cardamom, clove and the fennel seeds.

Heat a vessel and pour the oil and the ghee. Slice the onions thinly and fry them to golden brown. Then add the powder along with the ginger paste, garlic flakes, green chillies and the turmeric powder Fry them for a few seconds. Then add the greens with the chilli powder and fry for a few seconds. Add the soya balls with enough salt and the ground paste. Cook on slow fire until all the water is absorbed by the soya balls. In another vessel add 7 cups of water and let it simmer. Add the rice and cook it until they are half-cooked. Add enough salt and cook until all the water is evaporated. Spread the soya masala evenly on the rice. Pour 1 or 2 tsp of ghee around it. Keep the rice in ‘Dhum’ for 20 minutes. [/tscii:5a97a461dd]

suvai
27th June 2009, 07:14 AM
mrs. mano........:-)
Hope all is well..........good to see you back !!! :-)

Mrs.Mano
27th June 2009, 10:40 AM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the concern and the kind enquiry on me!

suvai
27th June 2009, 08:59 PM
Dear mrs mano........:-) u r most welcome!!

ongakita kaaramani (vegetable ) recipes iruntha kodungalen....as poriyal...as in kootu or any other that u might know...thank u nga in advance.

dev
1st July 2009, 05:01 PM
Mrs.mano, bread channa :thumbsup:... thanks a lot for the recipe...:)

dev
1st July 2009, 05:04 PM
Mrs.Mano, how do we make this biriyani that is white in color... I guess it's something mid-way between biriyani & pulav... not overly spicy like biriyani and not too mild like pulav... i had it in a resturant here & loved it... recipe irundha post pannunga pls...

Thattai
1st July 2009, 10:08 PM
Hello Mrs Mano.

Tried the Hyderabadi Chicken. Was easy and delish. Hubby and mom especially liked that it was nice and spicy (though I reduced the no of chillies fm 10 to 3!!)

Thanks so much...

Mrs.Mano
2nd July 2009, 01:19 AM
Dear Suvai!

Here I am posting two interesting recipes with karamani. Hope you will like it.

KARAMANI KADAIYAL:

Ingredients:

Karamani- 1 cup
Coriander seeds- 2 tsp
Red chillies-3
Chopped tomato- half cup
Small onions- 8
Garlic flakes-5
Curry leaves-6
Cumin seeds- half sp
Salt to taste
Oil-4 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp

Procedure:

Boil the karamani paruppu with 2 cups of water in pressure cooker. Fry all the ingredients except the mustard seeds in a tbsp of oil until they become soft. When cooled grind them to a coarse paste. Heat a pan and pour the remaining oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the cooked karamani with enough salt, ground paste and the turmeric powder. Let it simmer for a few minutes until the gravy is thickened.

KARAMANI KARA KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Karamani- 3/4 cup
Small onion-half cup[crushed]
Finely chopped tomato- 1 cup
Crushed garlic flakes-5
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 4 tbsp
Tamarind- a gooseberry size
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Drumstick pieces- 6

Grind the following ingredients to a fine paste:

Small onions-4, shredded coconut- half cup, fennel seeds- half sp

Procedure:

Soak the karamani over night in enough water. In the morning pressure cook it with a cup of fresh water. Soak the tamarind in a cup of water. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the cumin seeds and when they splutter add the onion, tomato and the garlic flakes with the turmeric powder. Fry them until they are mashed well. Extract the tamarind juice and pour it with the powders and enough salt. Add the drumstick pieces and let the kuzhambu simmer. When the vegetable is almost cooked add the karamai and the ground paste. Again
Allow the kuzhambu simmer for a few minutes. Add the curry leaves and the coriander.

suvai
2nd July 2009, 06:35 AM
Dear mrs mano.....:-)
thank u for your recipes.....iniki late dinner ingey but i made this karamani kuzhambu nga.....it came out veryyyyy well....super ah vanthidichi....thank u...:-)
will try the karamani kadaiyal & let u know too...:-)
nalla irukeengala?
s

suvai
2nd July 2009, 06:36 AM
dear mrs mano.....karamani kadaiyal konjam kootu maathri irukuma ila dry ya irukungala?

Mrs.Mano
3rd July 2009, 10:36 AM
Dear Dev!

The recipe you have asked is the same which I have posted as 'Soya pulao' above. It is neither much spicy as Briyani nor light as pulao.

Mrs.Mano
3rd July 2009, 10:43 AM
Dear Thattai!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on 'Hyderabad briyani'!! I am happy that yr husband as well as yr mother liked it.
It seems that I have forgotten to clarify yr previous doubt. You can add the same quantities of ingredients to mutton briyani also.

Mrs.Mano
3rd July 2009, 10:48 AM
Dear Suvai!

Well and wish the same from you!!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on 'karamani kara kuzhambu'!!

You can make the 'karamani kadaiyal' either a little watery or thick. You can mix the thick karamani kadaiyal with hot rice and ghee. The karamani gravy is suitable for chappathi.

Thattai
3rd July 2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification mrs. Mano.

dev
7th July 2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks Mrs.mano...senju paarkiren...

suvai
13th July 2009, 07:23 AM
Dear mrs mano,
Do u have hyderabadi biriyani (vegetarian) recipe?
iruntha ezhuthunga please & thank u....:-)

Mrs.Mano
15th July 2009, 12:28 AM
Here I am posting two interesting recipes which I have tried recently.

POOSANIKKAI HALWA [ white pumpkin halwa]:

Ingredients:

Shredded poosanikkai [from which all the water is squeezed]- 4 and half cups
Sugar- 3 and half cups
Melted ghee- half cup
Saffron- a pinch
Thinly Sliced almond and pista pieces- 2 tbsp
Cardamom-10
Thick milk- 1 cup

Procedure:

Steam the shredded poosanikkai with the milk for 15 minutes and then either mash it or grind it when cooled. Grind the cardamoms with 1 tbsp of sugar. Heat a kadai and add the sugar with little water. Make sugar syrup with one third consistency [kambi pagu]. Add the ground paste and mix well. Cook on medium heat stirring continuously. Pour the ghee in intervals. Mix the saffron in a little milk and pour in to the halwa along with cardamom powder. When the sides are leaving and the halwa is shiny and glossy, pour it on a greased plate. Decorate with badam and pista.

CURRY LEAVES KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Finely chopped small cups- half cup
Finely mashed tomato- half cup
Vadagam- 1 sp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 3 tbsp

Fry the following ingredients in a tbsp of gingelly oil and then grind them coarsely:

Small onion-6, small garlic flakes-4, fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp, cumin seeds- half sp, peppercorns- 1/2 tsp, shredded ginger- half sp, a handful of curry leaves

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the gingelly oil. Add the vadakam and when they splutter add the tomato and the onion with the turmeric powder. Fry them well until they are mashed and the oil floats on top. Add the ground paste with one cup of water, salt, and the powders. Mix well and allow it to boil for 5 minutes on medium fire.

Mrs.Mano
15th July 2009, 12:30 AM
Dear Suvai!

I will post the recipe for 'Vegetarian Hederabad briyani'soon!!

suvai
15th July 2009, 07:48 AM
Thank u nga mrs mano :-)
nalla irukeengala?

Mrs.Mano
24th July 2009, 10:37 AM
[tscii:f63b98f221]Dear Suvai!

I am posting here the recipe of 'Hyderabad vegetable briyani' for you!!

HYDERABAD VEGETABLE BRIYANI:

Ingredients:

2 cups Basmati rice
Potato-1 [cut in to cubes)
Carrot-1 [cut in to cubes)
Cauliflower florets-half cup
French beans pieces- half cup
Finely sliced onion-1 cup
Green peas [frozen]- half cup
Ground Fresh tomato- half cup
Saffron- a pinch
Milk- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Curd- half cup
Ginger paste- 1 tbap
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Green chilli paste- 2 tsp
Chilli powder- half tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Cashew nut pieces- 2 tbsp
Almonds (blanched and halved-2 tbsp
Chopped mint- half cup
Raisins- 2 tbsp
Warm milk- half cup
Ghee- quarter cup
Enough oil to fry the onions

Dry roast the following ingredients and then powder them finely:

Cinnamon-1 inches piece, cloves-2, cardamom-2, fennel seeds- 1 tsp, shahjeera-1/4 tsp, star anise-1, Mace- 2 small pieces, nutmeg- half, small bay leaf-1

Procedure:

Soak the saffron in the warm milk. Fry the onions to crisp golden brown pieces and keep them away. Steam the vegetables.

Wash and soak the rice in water for 10 minutes. Pour 1 tbsp of ghee in a vessel, fry the rice for a few minutes and then add 3 ½ cups of water and enough salt. Cook on medium fire until it is3/4th done and all the water is evaporated.

Heat a kadai and pour the remaining ghee. If needed, 2 or 3 tsp of oil can be added. Fry the nuts and the raisins and take them away. In the same ghee, fry the pastes on slow fire. When the oil floats on top, add the curd with all the powders and tomato and fry for a few seconds. Add the vegetables with salt and cook until the vegetables are coated well with the paste. Add the greens and toss for a few seconds. Spread the vegetable mixture on the rice evenly, pour the milk around the corners, sprinkle the fried onions and keep the briyani in ‘dum’ for 20 minutes. Mix well once after 10 minutes. Decorate with the fried nuts.

[/tscii:f63b98f221]

suvai
25th July 2009, 06:23 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano nga.............thank u so very much for the Hyderabadi Biriyani recipe.......:-) kandipa try pannitu solaren.
Hope all is well........regards....s

suvai
9th August 2009, 07:59 AM
Dear Mrs Mano....onga Hyderabadi Veg Biriyani super ah vanthidichi nga.......:-)

neenga epadi irukeenga? romba naal aachi neenga post panni....hope all is well with u nga....take plenty care.......ipadiku...suvai

Mrs.Mano
26th August 2009, 11:46 PM
Here I am posting a few interesting recipes.

EGG POTATO KABAB:

Ingredients:

Boiled and mashed potato- 2 cups
Chopped onion-2
Finely chopped green chillies-3
Shredded ginger- half sp
Fennel powder- half tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Chopped mint- quarter cup
Garlic paste- half sp
Crushed tomato- half cup
Chilli powder- half sp
Bread slices-4
Eggs-4
Enough oil to fry

Procedure:

Boil the eggs and remove the shells. Then slice each egg into half. Take away the yellow eggs and crush them well. Pour 3 tbsp of oil in a pan and heat it. Add the onion along with the garlic and ginger, green chilli, turmeric powder and the greens and fry them to a soft texture with a pinch of salt. Add half of this mixture to the mashed potato. Again heat the remaining onion mixture, adding the tomato and the chilli powder. Fry them well. Lastly add the yellow eggs with a little salt. Mix well. Fill this mixture in all the white eggs nicely. Mix well the potato mixture with enough salt and mashed bread crumbs. Coat the white eggs with this mixture well to a shape of egg. Heat enough oil and deep fry the kababs to golden brown.

GREEN THOKKU:

Ingredients:

Mint bunch-2
Coriander bunch-1
Curry leaves- 4 arc
Salt to taste
Tamarind- a small orange size
Red chillies- a handful
Black gram-50 g
Bengal gram-50g
Shredded ginger-50g
Asafetida powder- 1 tsp
Gingelly oil- 1 cup
Green chillies-5

Procedure:

Fry the dals, asafetida and the red chillies in a tsp of oil to golden brown. When cooled, powder them finely. Grind the greens coarsely with the ginger, green chillies, tamarind and enough salt. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the ground paste and fry them on slow fire. Sprinkle the fried powder little by little and mix well continuously. When the oil starts to float on top, put off the fire.

suvai
27th August 2009, 03:56 AM
Dear Mrs Mano...:-) soooo good to see u post more recipes :-)

Onga green thoku kandipa try pannitu solaren seekiramey!

Hope all is well nga!....:-)

Mrs.Mano
27th August 2009, 08:12 AM
Dear Suvai!!

Thanks a lot for yr continous encouragement as well as enthusiasm. And I also thank you for yr kind words!!

suvai
28th August 2009, 07:09 AM
Dear mrs mano....onga green thokku superrrrrr o superrrrrr....veryy tasty nga!! thank u thank u...:-)
I have put it in a glass jar. Should i put it in the fridge or just outside....sumar evolo naal velila vaikalaamnga mrs mano?
Trust & hope all is well.

oru recipe venunga onga collection la irunthu....chakkai peratal...this is made out of young jackfruit....if you can post please...& thank u nga.

Mrs.Mano
28th August 2009, 11:09 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'Green thokku'!! It must be kept in the fridge. As it was wet ground, it is not good to keep it out of the fridge for more than a day.

Regarding 'chakkai perattal', there is no such recipe as far as I know. There is a recipe in kerala called as 'idi chakkai' using young Jackfruit.[palaakkai] Do you want that recipe? In Tamilnadu, we prepare 'palaakkai pirattal, palaakkai kurumaa, palaakkai vadai and palaakkai poriyal' using young jack fruit. Please clarify which recipe you want me to post for you.

suvai
29th August 2009, 04:13 AM
Dear Mrs mano,

Thank u nga will surely put it away in the fridge..:-)

palaakai thaan nga......:-)
plz plz onga 5 recipeyum kodunga mrs mano...priatal/kuruma / vadai..& poriyal. ....
also idi chakai....awesome ..... i have two cans of young pala ;-) really looking fwd to trying them out nga!!
Thank u in advance for them.
Hope all is well nga!
regards,
suvai

nithishri
29th August 2009, 05:21 AM
Paalakai kurma is my favourite Mrs Mano
Looking forward for it

Thank u in advance
:)

Mrs.Mano
31st August 2009, 12:00 AM
[tscii:5413985be0][/tscii:5413985be0]Dear Suvai!

I am posting first the recipes ‘palakkai kurma’ and ‘idi chakkai’ for you! Then I will post the other recipes.

YOUNG JACKFRUIT KURUMA: [PALAKKAI KURUMA]

Ingredients:

Palakkai pieces- 2 cups
Bengal gram- a handful
Shredded coconut-1 ½ cup
Green chillies-4
Gram dal-1 tsp
Poppy seeds- 1 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Small onions-8
Cashew nuts-5
Medium Garlic flakes-5
Shredded ginger- 1 tsp
Oil-5 tbsp
Cinnamon- 1 piece
Cloves-2
Onion-3
Crushed tomato- 2 cups
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- half sp

Procedure:

Boil the palakkai pieces and the Bengal gram to 3/4th. Heat a pan and pour a tbsp of oil. Add the green chillies, gram dal, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, small onions, cashew nuts, ginger and garlic. Fry them well to a soft texture. When cooled, grind them to a fine paste. Again heat a broad pan and pour the remaining oil. Add the cinnamon and the cloves. When they splutter add the chopped onions and fry them to golden brown. Add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and fry them well until the oil floats on top and the tomatoes are mashed finely. Add the palakkai and the Bengal gram with the ground paste, salt and 2 cups of water. Let the kuruma boil to desired consistency. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

IDI CHAKKAI:

Ingredients:

Boiled palakkai-3 cups
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Black gram- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Chopped coriander-half cup

Crush the following ingredients coarsely:

Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Small onions-5
Green chillies-4
Medium garlic flakes-4
Cumin seeds-half sp
Oil- 3 tbsp

Procedure:

Crush the palakkai coarsely. When we boil the palakkai, it must be cooked to its 3/4th only. Then only we can crush it smoothly and coarsely to a fiber-like texture. If it is fully boiled, then it will become like a paste when we crush it.

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the black gram and fry them to golden brown. Add the palakkai with the coarsely ground mixture and salt. Fry them on slow fire until the palakkai is blended well with the ground ingredients. Add the greens and fry for a few more minutes.

Mrs.Mano
31st August 2009, 12:03 AM
Dear nithishri!

Hope you like this kuruma. This is a traditional south Tamilnadu recipe.

suvai
31st August 2009, 02:53 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Thank u thank u for the kurma & idi chakkai recipes....kandipaaa try pannitu solaren ongaluku.
I have never had chakkai kurma.....ithuvey muthal murai....:-)
should we eat it with rice or chapathi? ethu kooda nalla pogum nga?
s

Hemant Trivedi
31st August 2009, 04:14 AM
Mrs. Mano,

Green Thokku looks like the next thing I will be preparing as one of the side dishes . The recipe looks great.!!
Next time when I get Mint , I will surely try and post the feedback.
I think it would taste great with plain steaming rice.

Hemant Trivedi

Mrs.Mano
31st August 2009, 08:08 AM
Dear Suvai!

This palakkai kuruma is more suitable for chappathi though it will be delicious to eat with a combination of ghee rice and any varuval, like chicken fry or potato fry. And it is also suitable for dosai, idiyappam and idli. But the palakkai must be cut in to small pieces to accompany with the tiffin items. I am not sure about the texture of tinned raw jackfruit as I have never used it. So take an extra care when using the tinned vegetable as they are very soft.

Mrs.Mano
31st August 2009, 08:13 AM
Respected Mr.Trivedi!

The taste of this green thokku will be delicious if we use tender coriander leaves[the leaves which have short stems]. And this will accompany well with thayir sadham also.

dev
31st August 2009, 04:33 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, amma prepared the white biriyani yday & it turned out good. Thanks a lot for the recipe!!!...:)

suvai
1st September 2009, 08:53 AM
Dear Mrs mano,
Thank u for giving your suggestion. Tonite namma veetila onga chakkai kurma thaan nga we had it with chapathi...& it was out of this world!!!...very delicious ....I am sure it would taste even better if one uses raw chakkai than canned ones.
Thank u nga once again for all your lovely recipes & input.....:-)

nithishri
1st September 2009, 10:34 AM
Thank u Mrs Mano i loved the recipe
I will try it and let u know once i get hold of palakkai in the grocery store

Mrs.Mano
4th September 2009, 12:45 AM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on white briyani!!

Mrs.Mano
4th September 2009, 12:50 AM
[tscii:03058e9b73][/tscii:03058e9b73]Dear Suvai!

I am posting here a few more recipes on raw jackfruit for you!! Again I will post the recipes of Palakkai briyani and palakkai poriyal within a few days.

And thank you very much for the nice feedback on palakkai kuruma!!

RAW JACKFRUIT KOLA[PALAKKAI KOLA]

Ingredients:

Small raw jackfruit-1
Gram dal powder- half cup
Chilli powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-half sp
Salt to taste
Enough oil to fry
Chopped coriander-half cup
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Finely sliced onion-1

Grind the following ingredients coarsely:

Small onion-8
Garlic flakes-8
Fennel seeds-1tsp
Poppy seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Remove the hard outer cover and the center bone of the palakkai, cut it in to big pieces and boil them to 3/4th. When cooled, shred them finely in a mixi. Mix in the ground paste, the powders, salt, onion, greens and the gram dal powder. Make small balls, slightly flatten them and deep fry them to golden brown in hot oil.

PALAKKAI PIRATTAL:

Ingredients:

Small young jackfruit-1
Shredded coconut-1 ½ cup
Finely chopped small onions- 1 cup
Finely crushed tomato- 2 cups
Salt to taste
Oil-5 tbsp
Bay leaves-2
Finely chopped coriander-half cup
Turmeric powder- half sp

Grind the following ingredients to a paste:

Red chillies-6
Garlic flakes-4
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Gram dal- 1 tsp
Ginger- 1 tsp
Cinnamon- 1 piece

Procedure:

Boil the palakkai pieces to 3/4th. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the bay leaves, then add the small onion and fry for a few minutes. Then add the tomato with the turmeric and fry them till the oil floats on top and tomatoes are mashed well. Add the ground paste,2 cups of water, salt and the palakkai pieces. Boil them for some minutes until it thickens to the desired consistency. Add the coriander and cook on slow fire for a few minutes.

suvai
4th September 2009, 04:28 AM
Dear mrs mano,
thank u kindly for all the palakai recipes....;-) i am very anxious to try the biriyani & poriyal too!!!
Where can i find the white biriyani recipe nga?
Thank u thank u.................:-)

sinrultz
12th September 2009, 05:03 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Here I am with yet another request form a finest cook ever..Maam could you post recipes for sambar vard & thayir vada plz

suvai
12th September 2009, 06:54 PM
Dear mrs mano,
I tried the palakai piratal.....romba nalla vanthichi.....i had taken it for a get together...& it was a hit.....thank u nga!!!

Mrs.Mano
17th September 2009, 09:43 PM
Dear Sinrultz!

I will soon post the recipes for 'sambar vadai' and 'thayir vadai'!!

Mrs.Mano
17th September 2009, 09:52 PM
[tscii:07b43c281d] [/tscii:07b43c281d]Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'palakkai pirattal'!! Here I am posting the remaining recipes on 'palakkai' for you!!

RAW JACKFRUIT PORIYAL[PALAKKAI PORIYAL]
Ingredients:

Young raw jackfruit-1
Finely chopped small onion- 1 ½ cup
Finely chopped green chilli-1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 sp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Finely chopped coriander- half cup
Green gram- 1 handful
Cumin seeds- 1 sp
Asafetida- half sp
Salt to taste
Oil-3 tbsp

Procedure:

Cut the palakkai in to big pieces after cleaning it, and boil them to 3/4th. When cooled, shred them to fiber-like texture using the mixi speed for just only one second.
Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the cumin seeds, black grams, asafetida and green gram and fry for a few seconds. Add the onion, green chillies and curry leaves and fry for a few minutes on slow fire with a pinch of salt. Add the palakkai and fry well for a few minutes. Lastly add the coconut and coriander leaves. Put off the fire and mix well.

RAW JACKFRUIT BRIYANI [PALAKKAI BRIYANI]

Ingredients:

Briyani rice- 2 cups
Small Raw jackfruit-1
Salt to taste
Sliced onion-1 cup
Chopped tomato- 1 ½ cup
Slit green chillies-4
Chilli powder- half sp
Curd- 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Ghee- 4 tbsp
Oil- 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Chopped mint- half cup
Chopped coriander – 1 cup
Salt to taste

Powder the following ingredients:

Fennel seeds-1 sp, cinnamon- a small piece, clove-2, cardamom-2, star anise-1

Procedure:

Wash the rice and soak it in enough water.
Clean the raw jackfruit as usual and cut into medium pieces. Boil them to 3/4th with a pinch of turmeric powder and enough salt. Heat a big vessel and pour the ghee and the oil. Add the onion and the green chillies. Fry them to golden brown. Add the tomatoes with the ginger garlic paste and the turmeric powder. Fry them well until the tomatoes are mashed and the oil floats on top. Add the palakkai pieces with the curd, chilli powder and the greens. Cook till the gravy thickens and coats all the plakkai pieces. Sprinkle the powder and cook on slow fire for a few minutes. Take them away. In the same vessel cook the rice with 4 cups of water on medium fire. When the rice is 3/4th done, add the salt. When all the water is evaporated, put off the fire, spread the palakkai gravy evenly on top, pour ghee around the rice and keep it in ‘dhum’ for 15 to 20 minutes.

NB: When preparing the briyani, either 2 cups of thick milk or coconut milk and 2 cups of water can be added instead of 4 cups of water for a rich taste.

suvai
18th September 2009, 06:04 AM
Dear mrs mano,
never expected a palakai biriyani....kandipa try pannitu solaren nga....:-)
thank u mrs mano for all your lovely recipes....neenga epadi irukeenga?
Hope & trust all is well.......:-)
s

dev
18th September 2009, 10:17 PM
have completed updating the Index for this thread. Pls make use of it :)

suvai
19th September 2009, 08:36 PM
Dev nga....thank u for indexing mrs mano's thread too....its so useful nga...:-)

suvai
19th September 2009, 08:44 PM
mrs mano...iniki onga palakai recipe thaanga namma veetila ;-)

suvai
20th September 2009, 06:57 PM
Dear mrs mano...yesterday tried yr palakai poriyal.......came out well nga.....thank u..;-)

Mrs.Mano
1st October 2009, 06:59 PM
Dear Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on 'palakkai poriyal'! I am now in 'Tamilnadu'. I will go back to my residence after a few days. Then I will mail you.

suvai
5th October 2009, 03:43 AM
Dear mrs mano.....i made yr mysore rasam & it came out really well nga.....thank u....:-)

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2009, 11:12 AM
Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on 'mysore rasam'!!

Mrs.Mano
10th October 2009, 11:16 AM
[tscii]
Dear Sinrultz!

I am posting here the recipes for ‘Sambar vadai’ and ‘Thayir vadai’ for you! As I was in Tamilnadu for a family function for the past month, I could not post these recipes earlier. I regret for the delay.

SAMBAR VADAI:

For vadai:

Ingredients:

Whole black gram- 1 cup
Raw rice- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil to fry

Procedure:

Soak the black gram and the raw rice for an hour. Then grind them in a grinder to a fluffy texture sprinkling water in intervals. The salt must be added at the last stage. Heat oil, wet the left palm, take a ball of the ground mixture, flatten it on the wet palm and slip it in to the hot oil. Fry all the vadais to golden brown in this manner. The fire must be medium. Press them slightly in a kitchem towel to take out the excessive oil.

SAMBAR:

Ingredients:

Tuar dal- ¾ cup
Tamarind- a small lime size
Chopped tomato- 1 ½ cup
Sambar onions- 1 cup
Slit Green chillies-2
Chopped coriander-qaurter cup
Curry leaves- a few
Asafetida- 1 sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 4 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp

Fry the following ingredients in a tsp of oil and powder them to a coarse powder:

Red chillies-5, coriander seeds-1 tbsp, Bengal gram-1 tsp, fenugreek seeds-half sp, cumin seeds- a pinch, curry leaves-1 arc, shredded coconut- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for an hour then extract its juice. Cook the dal in a pressure cooker for 5 whistles.
Heat the oil in a vessel and the mustard seeds. When the splutter, add the onion with the green chillies and fry them to a slightly golden brown colour. Then add the tomatoes with the coriander leaves, asafetida powder and the turmeric powder. Cook them until they become mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the tamarind extract and allow it to boil for 10 minutes. Add the cooked dal with enough water. Sprinkle the sambar podi and mix well. Boil the sambar on slow fire for 10 minutes. The sambar must be watery. Before serving, add all the vadais and allow them to soak in it for 15 minutes.

THAYIR VADAI:

Ingredients:

Thick curd- 3 cups
Thin butter milk- 2 cups
Chopped coriander- quarter cup
Salt to taste
Hot vadais

Grind the following to a slight coarse mixture:

Shredded coconut- 1 tbsp
Green chillies-2
Ginger- a pea size
Gram dal- 1 tsp
Cashew nuts- 2

Procedure:

Mix the coarse paste in the curd with enough salt. Put all the hot vadais in the butter milk for 2 minutes, then take them out and squeeze the water thoroughly. Then add all of them in the curd mixture and mix well. Decorate with the coriander leaves.

sinrultz
13th October 2009, 04:52 AM
Thank you very much ma'am..excited to try it out soon

bkarthika
15th October 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi to all :boo:

I am Karthika new to this thread.Mrs.Mano .. Mam I have read all your recipes posted in this thread.If possible pls post the recipe of Elumbu kulambu.Thanks in advance :)

Mrs.Mano
16th October 2009, 12:01 AM
[tscii:9a08f3aa64][/tscii:9a08f3aa64]Dear Karthika!

Welcome to this thread!
Here is the recipe of ‘elumbu kuzhambu’ for you!

MUTTON ELUMBU KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Mutton elumbu- 500gms
Fennel seeds-2tsp
Sambar onions-1 cup
Garlic flakes-20
Shredded ginger- 1 tbsp
Tuar dal-3/4 cup
Turmeric powder
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Coriander powder-3 tsp
Drumstick-3
Patato-2
Onion[sliced]-half cup
Crushed tomato- 1 cup
Cloves-2
Cinnamon- 1 piece
Curry leaves- a few
Oil- 4 tbsp
Shredded coconut-1 cup
Poppy seeds-1 tbsp
Salt to taste

[b]Procedure:

Pressure cook the dal with enough water. Grind the sambar onions, 1sp fennel seeds, ginger and the garlic coarsely and mix with the bones. Pressure cook the bones with little water to 8 to 10 whistles on slow fire. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the sliced onion with the gloves and the cinnamon and fry them to golden brown. Then add the tomato and the greens with the turmeric powder. Cook them until they are crushed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the bones with enough water, salt, powders and the vegetables. When the vegetables are half cooked, add the cooked dal. Grind the coconut with the poppy seeds and the remaining fennel seeds to a fine paste. Add this paste to the simmering kuzhambu. When the vegetables are cooked and the required consistency is acquired, put off the fire.

Mrs.Mano
16th October 2009, 12:04 AM
I wish all the hubbers a very 'HAPPY DEEPAVALI'!!

nithishri
16th October 2009, 04:36 AM
happy diwali Mrs Mano :)

suvai
16th October 2009, 06:58 AM
Dear Mrs Mano!!!
Iniya Deepavali Vaazhthukal nga....to you & all hubbers too!
s

NOV
16th October 2009, 11:03 AM
[html:7a035fd8a1]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/N_O_V/Diwali.gif
[/html:7a035fd8a1]