PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies - Part 2

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Mrs.Mano
15th February 2007, 09:24 AM
Dear Cynthia!

Thank you very much for the feedback on rawa idli.

Mrs.Mano
15th February 2007, 09:26 AM
Dear Inimai!

I have mentioned 'thoor dal' as red gram dal in the 'pongal kuzhambu' recipe.
I will post the recipe you have asked very soon.

KPR
15th February 2007, 06:22 PM
Hi Mano,
Can you please post the recipe for poondu saadham.

Thanks in advance

KPR
15th February 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi Mano,
Can you please post the recipe for seppankizhangu kuzhambu.
I have had this in chennai.This has puli and coconut in it...But I am not sure what is the procedure to make it.

Thanks in advance.

Inimai
16th February 2007, 08:46 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thank you for the reply!

rockydeva
20th February 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Mrs MANO,

thx for your Microwave recipe and GUDI VANKAYA KURA

Tomato chicken is realy tasty indeed,

and about GUDI VANKAYA KURA, sry to say

i dint get that taste ,which i eated in my friends home is more spicy and with different taste, i think they dint use PEANUTS ,

is there any alternate for this??

Any way once again thanks for your help,keep on doing this great job

i am having little bit knowledge in cooking ,i am here posting my recipies which was learnt from my mother ,please look over it and say ur comments,the below link is for the famous TRIPLICANE RATHNA CAFE SAMBAR in chennai

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=8989

Mrs.Mano
22nd February 2007, 08:14 PM
Dear Inimai!

Here is the recipe for 'Koftha pulav'!

KOFTHA PULAO:

Ingredients:

Basmathi rice- 3 cups
Coconut milk- 2 cups
sliceded onion-3
Chopped tomato- 2 cups
Ginger paste- 2 tsp
Garlic paste- 2 tsp
Cinnamon- 2 pieces
Cloves-2
Garlic flakes -1/2 cup
Mint leaves- a handful
Coriander leaves- a handful
Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- half tsp
Slit geen chillies-8
enough breadcrumbs
beaten eggs
or cornflour mixture
[equal quantity of corn flour and plain flour with a little chilli powder and salt]
Ghee- half cup

For koftas:

Cooked and mashed potato- 2 cups
Green chilli paste- 1 tsp
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Mixed vegetables- 1 cup
Chopped onion- 1
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 tbsp
Enough oil to fry the kofthas

Procedure:

For koftas, pour the oil in a pan and heat it. Add the onion and fry well. Add the mixed vegetables with the pastes and the turmeric powder. Cook for some minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Then add the mashed potato and cook on slow fire until the mixture is well combined. Allow it to cool for a while and then prepare small balls out of it. Dip the balls either in beaten eggs or cornflour mixture and coat with fine breadcrumbs. Deep fry them to golden brown in hot oil. In another broad pan, pour 3 tbsp of oil and heat it. Add a handful of sliced onion and fry it on slow fire for a few minutes. Then add the tomato, garlic flakes, turmeric powder, a tsp of garlic paste and a tsp of ginger paste. Cook well until the tomatoes are mashed and the oil floats on top. Add enough salt and cook for a few more minutes on slow fire. The gravy must be thick. Now heat a big vessel and pour the ghee. Add the remaining sliced onion with the pastes, cloves, cummin seeds and cinnamon and cook for some minutes. Add the coconut milk and 2 1/2 cups of water. Add the rice and cook on medium high fire. Add enough salt. When all the water is evaporated,place the balls evenly on top and pour the gravy on it. Sprinke the chopped coriander and mint leaves. Pour some more ghee on top. Place the vessel in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes for 'dhum'.

Mrs.Mano
22nd February 2007, 08:19 PM
Hello KPR!

I will soon post the recipe for 'Poondu sadham'. I could not understand about the seppangkizhangu kuzhambu. Is it a puli kuzhambu or a sambar type?

Inimai
24th February 2007, 01:35 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thank you for the recipe! I'll let you know how it turned when I tried it.

I have a question regarding the recipe. You have mentioned "paste
" in two places, while making the koftas and while preparing the rice. Is it Ginger garlic paste or something else?

Thanks!

Inimai.

KPR
25th February 2007, 02:03 AM
Hi Mano,
Thanks for your reply.
This kuzhambu is like puli kuzhambu.
I have had this in chennai.This has ground coconut in it.

Nichiro
27th February 2007, 08:22 AM
KPR,

Mrs. Mano is a senior lady and a honoured contributor.
Please refer to her as Mrs. Mano please.

Nichiro

hi
27th February 2007, 11:54 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

How to make garlic gravy ( kolambu ) ? Kindly help me !!

Thanks
Anjali

KPR
27th February 2007, 07:15 PM
I am sorry about that.

KPR
27th February 2007, 07:17 PM
I am sorry about that.

Mrs.Mano
1st March 2007, 10:15 AM
[tscii:822415f6d5]Hello Rockydeva!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on ‘Microwave Tomato chicken’!
Have you tried ‘Ennai kaththarikkai curry’? This preparation is tastier than any other kaththarikkai curry. As I have no clues of ingredients, I couldn’t guess any thing about the curry which you have tasted.
Do post the recipes of yr mother. They are most welcome here.
About the sambar recipe you have posted in the above link-It seems definitely a different one! I will try it soon and give the feedback here!
[/tscii:822415f6d5]

Mrs.Mano
1st March 2007, 10:17 AM
[tscii:bc4042d754]Dear Anjali!

I have already posted here the recipe for ‘Garlic kuzhambu’. You can view it by going through the index which appears in the first page itself.
[/tscii:bc4042d754]

rockydeva
1st March 2007, 10:26 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thx for your appreciation, i had tried that "yennai katharikai koozhambu" already, its sounds as a Tamil nadu style recipe,wt i eat is andra style recipe,

i want to know how to do "AATTU KAL PAYA" or "Idiyappam PAYA"

Plz help

Mrs.Mano
1st March 2007, 10:27 AM
Dear KPR!

Here are the recipes you have requested. I will post the recipe of 'Seppangkizhangu kuzhambu' within a few days!

GARLIC RICE-I:

Ingredients:

Raw rice or basmathi rice cooked with salt- 2 to 3 cups
Garlic flakes- a handful
Small onion- 15
Tamarind- a small gooseberry size
Red chillies-2
Black gram- 2 tsp
Bengal gram- 2 tsp
Curry leaves-10
Asafoetida powder- half sp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Enough salt
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp

Procedure:

In a tbsp o foil fry the black gram and Bengal gram to golden brown. In the same oil fry again the sambar onions, garlic flakes, curry leaves, asafoetida powder, red chillies and the tamarind until they are cooked well. Grind these coarsely with enough salt.
Heat a pan and pour the remaining oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the rice, turmeric powder and the ground paste. Mix well and cook it on slow fire for a few minutes.

GARLIC RICE-II:

Ingredients:

Garlic flakes- a handful
Sliced onion-1
Mint leaves- 2tbsp
Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
Rice cooked with salt- 3 to 4 cups
Turmeric powder-half sp
Thinly sliced capsicum-1
Enough salt
Ghee- 3 tbsp

Grind the following ingredients coarsely:

Red chillies-2, green chilli-1, fennel seeds- 1 tsp, shredded ginger- half sp, cinnamon- 1 small piece

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the ghee. Add the onion with the garlic flakes, capsicum, and the turmeric powder and fry them on slow fire until they are almost cooked. Add the ground paste with the greens and a little salt and again cook for a few minutes. Now add the cooked rice and cook for a few more minutes on slow fire.

KPR
1st March 2007, 06:15 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
Thanks for the recipes of garlic rice.
Today I tried the type 1 recipe and it did come out well.I made dal fry for side dish.Can you please suggest some other side dish for garlic rice.
Thank you

Mrs.Mano
6th March 2007, 12:05 AM
Dear Arrecipes!

Here are the recipes of egg you have asked.

TOMATO EGG CURRY:

Ingredients:

Chopped tomato- 2 cups
Hard boiled eggs-8
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder- half sp
Oil- 4 tbsp
Finely chopped coriander- half cup

Grind coarsely the following ingredients with a little water:

Green chillies-2
Chilli powder- 1 sp
Fennel seeds- half sp
Cardamom- 1
Clove-1
Cinnamon- 1 small piece
Garlic flakes-5
Crushed ginger- half sp
Shredded coconut-half cup
Onion-2

Procedure:

Make small holes on the eggs with the help of a sharp tooth pick. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the tomato with the turmeric powder and cook until the tomatoes are mashed well and the oil floats on the surface. Add the ground paste with half cup of water. Cook well till the required consistency. Add the hard-boiled eggs and cook for a few more minutes on slow fire. Add the chopped coriander and mix well.

EGG CUTLET KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

For the cutlets:

Eggs-6
Ginger-1 sp
Green chillies-6
Garlic flakes-2
Chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Gram dal[pottukkadalai]-1/4 cup
Salt to taste

For the gravy;

Chopped onion- half cup
Chopped tomato- 2 cup
Fenugreek- 1 sp
Curry leaves- a handful
Turmeric powder-half sp
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Coriander powder-3 tsp
Tamarind- a big lime size
Shredded coconut- a handful
Fennel seeds- 1tsp
Oil- 3 tbsp

Procedure;

Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for half an hour and extract the juice. Grind the coconut with the fennel seeds to a thick paste.
Beat the eggs well with enough salt. Fry the fennel seeds, ginger, garlic and the green chillies in a little oil. Grind them to a paste and add this to the eggs with the gram dal powder. Mix well. Pour the egg mixture in small bowls and steam them in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes. When cooled, take the balls away. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the fenugreek seeds with the curry leaves. When the fenugreek seeds flutter, add the chopped onion with the tomatoes and the turmeric powder. Cook well until the oil floats on top. Add the tamarind extract with the powders and the salt. Let the kuzhambu boil for some minutes. Add the ground paste and cook for a few more minutes. When the gravy is slightly thickened, add the cooked balls and put off the fire. Or pour the hot gravy on the egg balls at the time of serving and sprinkle the coriander.

Mrs.Mano
6th March 2007, 12:08 AM
Dear Inimai!

The pastes I have mentioned were ginger and garlic pastes only.

Inimai
6th March 2007, 03:57 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I made the Kofta Pulav yesterday guessing the pastes are Ginger garlic. We had a small get together with a family. Usually I wont try any new dish when I call friends to eat. I scare to try becoz it may end as disaster. yesterday,I was bored to do same briyani kind and hence decided to try your Kofta pulav. I have confident in your culinary expertism and didnt hesitate to try.

My guests appreciated much about the pulav and they had second helpings too. I was happy but not much satisfied. My son who is a picky eater was also appreciated. Still I was not that much happy. later I fed my baby (baby food) and I had my dinner very last. By the time everybody finished I had mine in a hurry. It was late and they had to go home soon. It tasted like tomato rice for me.

I have leftover of the pulav and I ate today. It tasted heavenly!!!! I am happy and exited and much satisfied. Since I was cooking and cleaning the whole day, yesterday,. was tired and couldn't realised the taste.

Thank you! Mrs. Mano! Sorry for the long story! But I want to express my feelings and happiness exactly as I feel that's why ..all these story. My son want the left over pulav too and he enjoyed aswell.

Thank you! I am much obliged!

Newyorker
7th March 2007, 03:48 AM
dID YOU MAKE A DINNER?

Mrs.Mano
7th March 2007, 09:36 AM
Dear Inimai!

Your heart-warming appreciation and feedback really made me happy. That is the precious award I am getting for my hard work.
There are so many varieties on kofta pulao. But I have wanted to try on vegetables only. You can add more coconut milk to the rice and reduce tomato in the gravy. This will give another different taste. Every one must has self-satisfaction in their cookery before sharing their preparation with others. That is the main aspect of cookery. I am very glad that you were satisfied with yr preparation as well as my recipe. Thanks once again for yr nice feedback.

Mrs.Mano
7th March 2007, 09:39 AM
Hello KPR!

For the rice you have tried, potato fry, kofta varieties and chips are suitable as side dishes.

rockydeva
7th March 2007, 09:49 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thx for your appreciation,

i want to know how to do "AATTU KAL PAYA" or "Idiyappam PAYA"

Plz help

Mrs.Mano
7th March 2007, 09:59 AM
Hello KPR!

Here is the recipe for Seppankizhangu pulikuzhambu!

SEPPANKIZHANGU PULI KUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

Seppangkizhangu- 200gms
Tamarind- lemon size
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Sambar powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Sambar onions[chopped]-half cup
Chopped tomato- half cup
Fenugreek powder- half tsp
Ground coconut paste- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 4 tbsp

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water for an hour and extract its juice. Steam the seppangkizhangu in pressure cooker up to 4 whistles. When cooled remove the outer skins and cut them in to cubes.
Heat a pan and add the oil. When it becomes hot, add the onion and fry well. Then add the tomato with the curry leaves and the fenugreek powder. When the tomatoes are mashed well and the oil floats on the surface, add the tamarind extract with the powders, coconut paste, and seppangkizhangu pieces with enough salt. Cook until you get the desired consistency.

Mrs.Mano
7th March 2007, 10:01 AM
Dear Rocky deva!

I will post the recipe of 'Aattukkal paya' very soon!

Mrs.Mano
7th March 2007, 08:46 PM
Hello Rockydeva!

Here is the recipe you have asked!

AATTUKKAAL PAAYA:

Ingredients:

Aattukkaal-4
Shredded ginger- 1 tbsp
Onion-2
Tomato -2
Green chillies-8
Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
Shredded coconut- 2 cups
Fennel seeds- 1tsp
Gram dal- 1 tsp
Poppy seeds- 1 tsp
Peppercorn-1 tsp
Cummin seeds- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Chopped mint- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chilli powder-1 tsp
Cloves-2
Cardamom-2
Cinnamon-1
Garlic flakes-15
Cashew nuts-5
Salt to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp

[b]Procedure:

Grind coarsely the onion, tomato, ginger and the garlic. Grind the coconut with the fennel seeds, cumin, pepper, gram dal, cashew and poppy seeds to a fine paste.
Boil the aattukkaal well in the pressure cooker with enough water and turmeric powder after having cleaned them thoroughly. Heat a broad vessel and pour the oil. Add the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. Then add the coarse paste and fry well. When the oil floats on top, add the cooked aattukkal with the ground paste, powders and enough water. When the kurma is cooked well, add the greens and the lemon juice finally and mix well. The gravy should not be thick.

anuu
8th March 2007, 04:26 AM
Dear mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing fine.Well i guess I have been missing all those wonderful recipes for the past one month. :( I have been really busy shifting from one state to another soI have not able to try any of the new recipes.

I cooked for one of my pregnant friend this weekend n invited her home.I made ur layered parotta,spicy egg curry,poricha rasam,thavalai vadai,potato podimas n gulab jamun.She really enjoyed the food very much.Thanks a lot for sharing ur recipes.

rockydeva
13th March 2007, 10:31 AM
Mrs Mano excellent PAYA ,thanks for the recipe,My MOM tasted this and appericiated you well

thank you again

arrecipes
14th March 2007, 10:55 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried Mushroom fried rice and egg curry, It was tasty. I will try the egg cutlet kuzhambu and let you know about it.

Mrs.Mano
15th March 2007, 11:41 PM
Here I am posting a tasty recipe on Mutton.

MUTTON PODIMAAS:

Ingredients:

Boneless mutton- 100 gms
Garlic paste - half sp
Finely chopped onion-3
Gram dal- 2 handful
Shredded coconut- 2 tbsp
Finely chopped tomato- half cup
Turmeric powder- 1 sp
Oil- 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
Garlic flakes [small]- half cup
Ginger paste- 2 sp

Powder the following:

Cloves-2
Cinnamon-2 pieces
Cardamom-2
Onion-3
Fennel seeds- 1 sp

Procedure:

Cut the mutton into very small pieces. Powder the gram dal finely. Heat a pan and pour a cup of water. Add the muttons pieces along with garlic paste, 1sp ginger paste, half of the ground powder and shredded coconut with enough salt. Cook the mutton on slow fire. When the water is evaporated completely, put off the fire. When cooled, mash the mutton pieces with the help of a mixi. Add the gram dal powder and mix well. Again heat the pan and pour the oil. Add the chopped onion and fry well. Then add the ginger paste and the garlic flakes and fry them on slow fire until they are cooked. The colour of the garlic should not be changed. Otherwise the taste will be changed. Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder and cook until the tomatoes are well mashed and the oil floats on top. Add the remaining ground powder and cook for a few seconds. Then add the mutton with the chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Cook it for a few minutes. i

Mrs.Mano
15th March 2007, 11:43 PM
Dear Anuu!

Thank you very much for yr nice feedback on layered parotta, spicy egg curry, poricha rasam, potato podimas and gulab jamoon.

Mrs.Mano
15th March 2007, 11:44 PM
[tscii:8c5c4918e5]Hello Rockydeva!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Aattukkaal paya’!
[/tscii:8c5c4918e5]

Mrs.Mano
15th March 2007, 11:45 PM
Dear Arrecipes!

Thank you very much for the feedback on mushroom fried rice and egg curry.

dev
16th March 2007, 07:07 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

tried the chilly parotta recipe using parottas bought from a neighbourhood restaurent... It tasted soooo gooood...(I didn't add pesto sauce,as I didn't have it on hand)... Thanks a ton for the recipe... :)

suvai
18th March 2007, 09:19 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,
Trust & hope all is well..... :) missed visiting your pages of interesting recipes. I am back on track now ;-).
I have a quick question......can we make kuzhambu without tamarind; tomato & coconut??? If there is a kuzhambu recipe without these three ingridients, please share & that would be much appreciated.
Regards to you & yours!!..................suvai :-)

Inimai
20th March 2007, 03:19 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Hope you are doing well!! You mentioned there are many varieties in kofta curry/rice. Could you able to post those when you have time?

I want to try different recipes using tofu for my 8 year old son. He is a really picky eater as well as very thin when compared with the american children. Could you post any recipes using tofu?

Thank you!

With Regards,
Inimai.

luz
20th March 2007, 07:44 PM
hi Mrs Mano, could u please post the recepie for karuveppilai pickle or thokku ?

dev
21st March 2007, 04:49 PM
Hi, remember someone asking for hyderabadi style stuffed brinjals... just try this...
http://deepann.wordpress.com/2007/03/15/bagara-bainganstuffed-brinjals/

rockydeva
21st March 2007, 05:40 PM
Hi, remember someone asking for hyderabadi style stuffed brinjals... just try this...
http://deepann.wordpress.com/2007/03/15/bagara-bainganstuffed-brinjals/

Dev its me, thank you for the link

Mrs.Mano
22nd March 2007, 12:49 AM
[tscii:0e8ac087d5]Hello Dev!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on ‘Chilli Parotta’!
[/tscii:0e8ac087d5]

Mrs.Mano
22nd March 2007, 12:49 AM
Hello Suvai!

To my knowledge, every kuzhambu either needs tamarind or coconut or tomatoes.
If I find any kuzhambu without these ingredients, I will share it with you.

Mrs.Mano
22nd March 2007, 12:50 AM
[tscii:cafa21626a]Dear Luz!

I will post the recipe of ‘Curry leaves’ thokku soon!

[/tscii:cafa21626a]

Mrs.Mano
22nd March 2007, 12:51 AM
Dear Inimai!

I will soon post the recipes you have requested!

Badri
22nd March 2007, 05:21 AM
Dear Mrs Mano

Could you also post the traditional Thengai Paal recipe which they make during the Aadi pandigai?

I tried searching for it thinking it would surely have been covered somewhere but not able to find it.

Thanks in advance

suvai
22nd March 2007, 07:31 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Romba thanks nga!!!
From
Suvai

anuu
22nd March 2007, 08:30 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing fine.I had this ginger pickle recently at a restuarant and it tasted sweet.It looked like thick chutney rather than pickle and its not the usual allam chutney which is served with pesaratu either.
This one had grated ginger and it tasted sweet and was in orange colour for a second I thought it to be carrot but we were confirmed it was made of ginger and we could feel that taste also a little.I would be glad if u could post me this recipe incase u know.Thanks a lot for ur time.

Thattai
22nd March 2007, 11:37 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Hope that you are doing well. Tried your Pepper Chicken 2 and Prawn Biryani. Both were DEEEE-LISH!! :thumbsup: Esp the biryani. It was also very simple to make. I think that it is going to become a regular feature in our menu :D

Thanks again,

Thattai

Mrs.Mano
22nd March 2007, 04:08 PM
[tscii:09ae978655]Dear Luz!

Here is the recipe of ‘Curry leaves thokku you have requested.

KARUVEPPILAI THOKKU [CURRY LEAVES THOKKU]:

Ingredients:

Gingelly oil- quarter cup
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste

Grind the following ingredients to a coarse paste.

Curry leaves- 3 handfuls
Shredded Ginger- 1 tsp
Green chillies-2
Tamarind- a small lime size

Fry the following ingredients in a tsp of oil to golden brown and then powder them finely:

Bengal gram- 1 tbsp
Black gram- 1 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Red chillies-7

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the ground paste with the turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and enough salt. Fry the paste for 5 minutes on slow fire. Then add the ground powder and fry again for a few minutes. Add more gingelly oil when frying the thokku. After a few minutes, put off the fire.

[/tscii:09ae978655]

dev
22nd March 2007, 06:19 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano, can you post a recipe for veg cutlet...preferably pan fried...

rockydeva
23rd March 2007, 11:38 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano, can you post a recipe for veg cutlet...preferably pan fried...

dev i will be posting VEG cullet in my thread check it out

suvai
24th March 2007, 06:33 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
Kindly let me know as to where I need to go to view your thread for more recipes.
Thank you in advance Mrs. Mano.
Regards,
Suvai

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2007, 11:22 AM
[tscii:3c70993667]Dear Inimai!

Here I am posting two korta rice varieties as per yr request.
Regarding Tofu recipes- you can try and cook all the paneer recipes using tofu instead. I will post few recipes on it when I find enough time.

RAW JACKFRUIT KOFTA PULAO:

Ingredients:

Basmati rice- 4 cups
Coconut -1
sliced onion-4
Chopped tomato- 2 cups
Ginger paste- 2 tsp
Garlic paste- 2 tsp
Cinnamon- 2 pieces
Cloves-2
Cardamom-2
Fennel seeds-1tsp
Mint leaves- a handful
Coriander leaves- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Slit geen chillies-10
Ghee- half cup
Oil- 3 tbsp
Salt to taste

For Kofta:

Small RAW JACKFRUIT [PALAKKAI] - 1
Bengal gram- half cup
Thuar dal- half cup
Red chillies-8
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Chopped coriander- half cup
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Oil to fry

Procedure:

Remove the outer skin of the palakkai and also remove the white centre piece. Cut them in to big pieces and boil them in enough water. When cooled, add enough salt and mash them either with fingers or with the help of a mixi. Soak the dals in enough water for 1 hour and then drain the water. Grind them with the fennel seeds, red chillies and salt coarsely. Add this to the mashed raw jackfruit with the chopped ingredients, turmeric powder, and the curry leaves. Mix well. Make small balls and fry them to golden brown in hot oil on medium fire.

Extract thick milk from the coconut. Powder the cloves, cardamoms, cinnamons and fennel seeds.

In another pan, pour 3 tbsp of oil and heat it. Add a handful of sliced onion and fry it on slow fire for a few minutes. Then add the tomato, turmeric powder, a tsp of garlic paste and a tsp of ginger paste. Cook well until the tomatoes are mashed and the oil floats on top. Sprinkle half of the ground powder. Add enough salt and cook for a few more minutes on slow fire. The gravy must be thick. Now heat a big vessel and pour the ghee. Add the remaining sliced onion with the pastes and the remaining powder and cook for some minutes. Add the coconut milk. Add enough water so that the water and the coconut milk should be 7 cups. Add the rice and cook on medium high fire. Add enough salt. When all the water is evaporated, place the balls evenly on top and pour the gravy on it. Sprinkle the chopped coriander and mint leaves. Pour some more ghee on top. Place the vessel in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes for 'dhum'.

CHICKEN KOFTA PULAO:

Ingredients:

Basmati briyani rice- 5 cups
Boneless chicken pieces- 500gms

For Kofta:

Grind the following ingredients:

1sp cumin seeds, 1sp peppercorns, 1tsp fennel seeds, red chillies-8, shredded ginger- 1tsp, 5 garlic flakes, 1 tbsp poppy seeds, cinnamon-1, cardamoms-2.
Then add the chicken with enough salt and mince it. Make small balls out of it and fry them all in hot oil to golden colour.

For Kofta Gravy:

Chopped onion-1 cup,
Chopped tomato- 2 cups,
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder-half sp
Ghee-2tbsp
Oil- 1 tbsp

Powder the following ingredinets:

Cloves-4, cardamom-3, peppercorn- half sp,

Heat a pan and pour the oil and the ghee. Add the chopped onion and cook until they turns golden brown. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and salt. Cook well until the tomatoes are mashed well and then add the powder and mix well. Now add the koftas and cook on slow fire for a few more minutes.

FOR BRIYANI:

Cloves-3
Cardamom-2
Cinnamon-2 pieces
Shredded ginger- 1 tbsp
Garlic flakes-10
Chopped Onion- 2 cups
Chopped tomatoes-2 cups
Thick coconut milk- 2 cups
Mint leaves -a handful
Coriander leaves- a handful
Curry leaves - a handful
Lime juice- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Ghee- half cup
Green chillies-8 [slit]

Procedure:

Soak the briyani rice for 30 minutes. Heat a vessel and pour the ghee. Add the spices and fry for a few seconds. Then add the onion and the green chillies. Fry them until the onions turn golden brown. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder, the greens, ginger and the garlic. Fry well till all the ingredients are blended well and ghee floats on surface. Then add the coconut milk and 7 cups of water. Add the rice and cook until all the water is evaporated. Pour the kofta gravy on top and spread evenly. Add more ghee. Sprinkle the lime juice. Cook on ‘Dhum’ for 20 minutes.

[/tscii:3c70993667]

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2007, 11:33 AM
Dear Badri!

I really am not aware of any coconut milk prepared for the aadi pandikai! If I came to know about it, then I will post it for you.

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2007, 11:37 AM
Dear Suvai!

Please go to the first pages of my links here and you can see the index there and from there you can view all of my recipes. You can also view my recipes in Tamil in Arusuvai.com

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2007, 11:39 AM
Dear Thattai!

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks on Prawn briyani and the pepper chicken.

Mrs.Mano
24th March 2007, 11:42 AM
[tscii:69b32cffa0]Dear Anuu!

I have a ‘Ginger Tomato pickle’ in my file which has a little bit sweetness in it also. If you need it, I will post it here.
[/tscii:69b32cffa0]

Badri
24th March 2007, 01:10 PM
Dear Badri!

I really am not aware of any coconut milk prepared for the aadi pandikai! If I came to know about it, then I will post it for you.

It is quite traditional, I am surprised that you havent heard about it!!

Usually puthu mappillais are invited to their in-laws house and given this in a silver tumbler!

After you said you didnt know the recipe, I checked with my mother and here's the recipe according to her. Maybe you know it by a different name?

Take 2 cups of shredded coconut
Add a tsp of raw rice to this coconut and run it in the blender
Filter it through a clean muslin cloth
Use the coconut just once more and extract the "paal" again
Make thick paagu with 1 cup jaggery
When the paagu has become thick, add the extracted coconut paal to it
Reduce heat at once and simmer for few mins
If desired, you can add a half a cup of fresh milk to this
Top up with cashews and elaichi

Mrs.Mano
25th March 2007, 10:52 AM
Hello Dev!

Here is the recipe of Vegetable cutlet for you!

VEGETABLE CUTLET:

Ingredients:

Frozen mixed vegetables- 2 cups
Ginger paste-1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Green chilli paste- 1 tsp
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Cooked and mashed potato-2 cups
Breadcrumbs- 2 cups
Bread- 4 slices
Garam masala powder [optional]- half spoon
Vermicelli- 200gms
Chopped coriander-half cup
Salt to taste
Enough oil
Corn flour-1 cup
Plain flour- half cup
Chilli powder- half sp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour 3 tbsp of oil. Add the onion and fry well for a few minutes. Then add the pastes and fry for a few seconds. Add the mixed vegetables with the turmeric powder. Cook them till they are done. Add the mashed potato with enough salt and the chopped coriander. Mix well on slow fire. When slightly cooled, soak the bread slices in a little water for a minute, squeeze out the water, mash them finely and add this to the cutlet mixture. Mix well. Make a thin batter with the corn flour, plain flour, chilli powder and salt. Make small balls out of the cutlet mixture, flatten them, roll in breadcrumbs, dip in the batter and again roll in broken vermicelli. Fry them to golden brown. They can either be deep fried or pan fried.

dev
25th March 2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the recipe,Mrs.Mano... I'll be making it this thursday for a high-tea...will let u know the feedback once i make it...:)

Mrs.Mano
25th March 2007, 01:58 PM
Dear Badri!

Though it is traditional, I am not aware of this really. I think that this recipe of Aadi pandigai belongs to Brahmins community. Normally, non-Brahmins always prepare this thengaipal as a side dish for aappam. As I am living in a foreign country for more than 30 years, I have not a chance to share these pandigai specials with anyone in India.

arrecipes
26th March 2007, 06:09 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I am planning to prepare Gutti Vanakaya kura that recipe's ingredient list calls for onion and Garlic but it is not present in any of the steps in the method Can u let me know about it.

I tried the Vegetable cutlet in pan fry method. The sides were not brown only the center portion of the cutlet turned brown. Can u suggest some tips on this.

Mrs.Mano
26th March 2007, 12:24 PM
[tscii:73358c5aed]Dear arrecipes!

I regret for the mistake in the ‘Gutti vankaya kura’ recipe. Fry the onions and the garlic in the oil on slow fire until they are done before adding the stuffed brinjals.

Regarding pan-fried cutlets- It is difficult to make the sides of the cutlets browned as there is very less oil. That is why when the cutlets are pan-fried, we must make the cutlets very thin.

[/tscii:73358c5aed]

Mrs.Mano
26th March 2007, 12:30 PM
[tscii:dbf9d9e17b]I have made some corrections in the recipe of ‘Mutton podimas’ and so I am posting the same recipe again here.

MUTTON PODIMAAS [KARIPPODI]:

Ingredients:

Boneless mutton- 100 gms
Garlic paste - half sp
Finely chopped onion-3
Gram dal- half cup
Shredded coconut- 2 tbsp
Finely chopped tomato- half cup
Turmeric powder- 1 sp
Oil- 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
Garlic flakes [small]- half cup
Ginger paste- 2 sp
Chopped onion- 2 cups

Powder the following:

Cloves-2
Cinnamon-2 pieces
Cardamom-2
Fennel seeds- 1 sp

Procedure:

Cut the mutton into very small pieces. Powder the gram dal finely. Heat a pan and pour a cup of water. Add the muttons pieces along with garlic paste, 1sp ginger paste, half of the ground powder and shredded coconut with enough salt. Cook the mutton on slow fire. When the water is evaporated completely, put off the fire. When cooled, mash the mutton pieces with the help of a mixi. Again heat the pan and pour the oil. Add the chopped onion and fry well. Then add the ginger paste and the garlic flakes and fry them on slow fire until they are cooked. The colour of the garlic should not be changed. Otherwise the taste will be changed. Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder and cook until the tomatoes are well mashed and the oil floats on top. Add the remaining ground powder and cook for a few seconds. Then add the mutton with the chopped coriander leaves and cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle the gram dal powder gradually and mix well. Cook it for a few more seconds and put off the fire.

[/tscii:dbf9d9e17b]

Inimai
27th March 2007, 08:40 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thank you for the recipes!! I will post my feedback once i tried those. As I am a vegeterian, which one will opt to substitute the chicken? vegs./paneer/tofu?

Thank you!

suvai
28th March 2007, 09:34 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Would appreciate if you could give us the recipe for Thayir Rotti.......thank you for all the extensive effort you put into this forum........Regards.........Suvai... :)

suvai
28th March 2007, 09:40 PM
Hi Badri,
I make pachai paruppu payasam ( dry roast the pachai paruppu ) with the same method your mom has mentioned for Thengai Paal... Probably thats how the original recipe of Thengai Paal got improvised!!!......regards.....suvai

arrecipes
29th March 2007, 03:34 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I made Gutti Vanakaya Kura and it was delicious. It went well with Chicken Biryani. Thanks for sharing ur wonderful recipes with us.

Mrs.Mano
29th March 2007, 11:40 AM
Dear Inimai!

As I have already posted vegetable kofta pulao, you can go far paneer instead of chicken.

Mrs.Mano
29th March 2007, 11:41 AM
Dear arrecipes!

thank you very much for the nice feedback on 'gutti vankaya kura'.

Mrs.Mano
29th March 2007, 11:49 AM
Dear Suvai!

Here is the link for 'Thayir roti'.

http://www.paraparapu.com/default.php?subaction=showfull&id=1173429366&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&mode=cooking

dev
29th March 2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Tried the cutlet recipe & it turned out well... I made it a bit bland...but thought it would've been better had I made it more spicier... The earlier version I tried had cori powder,jeera powder, garam masala powder & chilly powder instead of chillies... it was spicy but was heavy... your version, since I made it less spicy, we were able to eat more than 2 cutlets without feeling heavy... thanks a lot for the recipe... :)

arrecipes
29th March 2007, 11:13 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I usually prepare curd at home(US). All of a sudden I am not getting it properly. Can u suggest some methods for this.

dev
29th March 2007, 11:58 PM
arrrecipes, try heating the milk in the microwave oven until it's warm...takes abt 2 mins for a litre of milk that is kept at room temperature... breakdown some curd(abt a tbsp or 1 1/2 tbsp) & add it to the milk...stir well... close with a tight fitting lid...keep it in the microwave oven & close it... U have to place it in the oven when it's still warm...Since I live in a hot place, the curd will be ready in abt 4 hrs...

Note: if u r using store bought curds for making curd, u might not get perfect curd the first time... the subsequent ones will be better....

suvai
30th March 2007, 06:28 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thank you for your kind post on "Thayir Rotti". This is the first time I have come across it being made with maida & then after cooking...goes in sarkarai paagu.....sounds very interesting!!! Will surely try it.
The Thayir Rotti I had was kaaram... made with rice flour....& I had it in Salem/Shankagiri area.... some time ago......if you do come across the savoury recipe, plz do post it ma'am!!....I am also trying to get the same through family/friends.....if I get it I will surely share it with you & the rest......thanks once again for your sweet recipe.... a delicious addition to to my collection :wink: .............regards.....suvai

Badri
30th March 2007, 07:04 AM
I was not able to read the Thayir Rotti recipe! :(

Can someone post it here in English script so that even those who cannot read Tamizh script for some reason can see it?

arrecipes
30th March 2007, 05:20 PM
Dear Dev,
The problem I don't have any leftover curd with me. Even I used to prepare curd as u have mentioned since I don't have any leftover curd I am puzzled??????? Thought that Mrs. Mano could help me out with her expertise.

dsath
30th March 2007, 06:07 PM
Badri, here is the translation for thayir roti

Ingredients
Maida - 2Kgs
Ghee - 2 Kgs
Yogurt - 1 Kg
Sugar - 4 Kgs
Rose water - 8 tsp

Sieve the maida and to this add Ghee and mix it with the flour. To this add yogurt and make dough. Make rotis with the dough and cook them on a doasi kal.
Once the rotis are cooked, cut them into pieces and soak them in the sugar syrup.
Adding rose water to this is optional.

One of my friends made something similar to this recently. Make dough the same way (without ghee) and deep fry to make puri and soak that in Vellap pagu (Vellam + coconut milk). It was yummy, not good on the waist line though. :)

Mrs.Mano
31st March 2007, 12:31 AM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on vegetable cutlet.

Mrs.Mano
31st March 2007, 12:32 AM
[tscii:33679a5b59]Dear arrecipes!

Mix milk with full cream milk powder for better taste. I always add 5 tsps of milk powder to a cup of water and boil it. Then I would mix this with a cup of boiled milk. When the milk is cooled slightly [viral porukkum soodu] I would beat 1 or 2 tbsp of fresh curd with a tsp of salt and a few curry leaves with the help of a spoon and then mix this thoroughly with the hot milk. You will get the tastiest curd within 8 hours. This is the usual procedure I am following. I do not remember any method to prepare curd without the help of a little curd. But somewhere I have read that adding 3 or 4 red chillies in hot milk would help making curd. But I haven’t ever tried this.
[/tscii:33679a5b59]

Mrs.Mano
31st March 2007, 12:32 AM
Dear Suvai!

If I ever come across the recipe you have asked, I will definitely post it for you

suvai
31st March 2007, 05:17 AM
Hi Dsath,
Your friends recipe with Vella paagu & coconut milk sounds like a mouth watering treat......would it be possible for you to share the same with proportions & method for the rest of us?
Thank you in advance.......regards.........Suvai

dev
3rd April 2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Tried Coriander Briyani recipe... I didn't add coconut milk but still it has come out very well... Thanks a lot for the recipe...:)

Can we make mint rice by substituting mint in place of coriander...or does the recipe differ for mint rice?...

dsath
3rd April 2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Dsath,
Your friends recipe with Vella paagu & coconut milk sounds like a mouth watering treat......would it be possible for you to share the same with proportions & method for the rest of us?
Suvai, my friend has gone on holiday to India, when she returns, I will get the recipe and post it here.

arrecipes
3rd April 2007, 08:40 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I prepared curd by adding curry leaves and salt and when it got fermented it was like thalicha thayir and delicious. Thanks for the tips.
We had a gettogether on sunday and I made garlic rasam and Ennai kathirikkai curry which was very well appreciated by all of the guests.

arrecipes
3rd April 2007, 08:56 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I prepared curd by adding curry leaves and salt and when it got fermented it was like thalicha thayir and delicious. Thanks for the tips.
We had a gettogether on sunday and I made garlic rasam and Ennai kathirikkai curry which was very well appreciated by all of the guests.

suvai
7th April 2007, 08:14 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I found a Kaaram Recipe for Thayir Roti......this is not mine...............in this the author says to use water or thayir.....I used thayir & water. I dry fried the rice flour for a bit. I also added chopped Dill Leaves, karuvepilai, kothamalli & Vendhiyakeerai all to measure about one cup...romba tasty......I made 8 rotis out of the given measurement....I thatified thin..... try panni sollunga.

Ingredients:

* 2 cups rice flour
* 1 cup grated coconut
* 1 big onion, chopped fine
* 2 green chillies , chopped (optional)
* 1/2 " piece of ginger, grated fine.
* 1 tsp jeera / cumin powder
* 1 tsp salt
* A pinch of hing/ asafoetida
* 1/2 cup water/ curds

Mix all the ingredients together and form a soft dough by adding yogurt or water. Add the yogurt or water gradually so as to make a dough of the right consistency.

Divide the dough into six portions.

Take one portion and pat it into a round shape about 4" diameter.

Heat a frying pan or tava.Pour 1 tbsp of oil on the tava and place the roti on it .Press the patty out out further into a 7" roti , 1/4 " thick with your fingers.

Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further 3 minutes.

Serve hot with ghee , chutney or tomato sauce

dev
9th April 2007, 01:05 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I once had a soup that was served with white rice... It had strong flavour of 'sombu' but no other vegs etc were seen... I don't have any idea if it was made using dhal water or if they used any vegs in it... It was very thin like rasam but tasted very different from rasam... Please let me know if u have any recipe that resembles this description...

Mrs.Mano
11th April 2007, 04:10 PM
Dear dev!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on coriander briyani. You can try it with mint leaves also-but add less quantity of it.

Regarding the soup you have written-if I come across that kind, I will post the recipe of it.

Mrs.Mano
11th April 2007, 04:10 PM
Dear arrecipes!

Thanks a lot for the feed back on curd, garlic rasam and ennai akththarikkai curry.

Mrs.Mano
11th April 2007, 04:11 PM
[tscii:57635aaeac]Dear Suvai!

Thank you very much for the ‘thayir roti ‘recipe. When I find enough time, I will try this recipe and give you the feedback.

[/tscii:57635aaeac]

suvai
11th April 2007, 06:12 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Epadi irukeenga???
Ongaluku oru periya "Thanks" for all the dedicated hard work you input......... :clap:
Oru request nga ongaluku............nalla punjabi khadi recipe therinja share pannunga pleaseeee!!! thanks in advance............suvai :)

Thattai
13th April 2007, 12:07 PM
Dear Mrs. MAno,

Tried the beetroot kootu and idli podi. Both came out very well.

Could you please provide recipe for mutton chukka the way it is made in messes in the south? There is already one recipe given by you with this title, but it uses coconut milk, so I figured it would be gravy-ish.

The one I am looking for has tiny pieces of mutton and is quite dry with just a very little and very thick masala stuck to it. Also, can chicken chukka be made using the same recipe?

Thanks in advance...

Mrs.Mano
13th April 2007, 11:55 PM
[tscii:6fb137b68c]Dear Suvai!

Naan nalamaaka irukkiren. Ungkal vaazththukku en ithayapoorvamaana nanri!
Here I am posting the ‘panjabi kadhi’ recipe for you!

PUNJABI KADHI:

Ingredients:

For pakoras:

Bengal gram flour- 1 cup
chopped onion-1
finely chopped potato- a small one
chilli powder- 1 tsp
Finely chopped ginger- half sp
Baking powder - half sp
salt to taste

For Kadhi:

Plain yogurt - 1 cup
Bengal gram powder- 2 tbsp
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
oil- 3 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
curry leaves- 1 arc
Red chilies-3
Finely chopped coriander- 3 tbsp

PROCEDURE:

Mix all the pakora ingredients in a bowl with enough water. make small dumblings. Heat the oil in a pan. Drop the dumblings in the hot oil and deep fry them to golden brown colour.
Beat the yogurt with the flour and the chilli powder.until there are no lumps. Add turmeric, salt and 5 cups of water. Heat the oil in a pan and add the fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and the red chillies. When the fenugreek seeds turn golden colour, Add the yogurt and flour mixture, bring to a boil, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add the pakoras and simmer for another 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.

[/tscii:6fb137b68c]

Mrs.Mano
13th April 2007, 11:59 PM
Here I am posting two recipes which I tried last week.

THATTAI:

Ingredients;

Raw rice- 2 cups
Black gram- 50 gms
Gram dal- 50 gms
Shredded coconut- a handful
Red chillies- 5
Shredded coconut- quarter cup
Dalda- 1 tbsp
Green gram- a handful
Bengal gram- a handful
Asafoetida powder- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the rice in enough water for an hour. Then drain the water and allow the rice to dry. Pound the rice into fine flour and then sieve twice. Fry the black gram in a dry pan to golden brown. When cooled grind it to a fine powder along with gram dal. Grind the coconut with the red chillies to a fine paste. Soak the green gram and the Bengal gram in enough water for an hour and then drain the water. Add these to the flours along with the dalda, asafoetida powder, salt, sesame seeds, coconut paste and curry leaves. Make smooth dough with the help of a little water. Make small balls, flatten them on a white cloth in to thin thattais. Fry them in hot oil to golden brown.

CHILLI CHICKEN FRY:

Ingredeints:

Boneless chicken pieces- 1 kilo
Chilli sauce- 1 1/2 tbsp
Soya sauce- 2 tbsp
Vinegar- 2 tbsp
Pepper powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Ajinamoto- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chopped capsicum- 2 cups
Chopped spring onion- 3 cups
Slit green chillies-6
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 4 tbsp

Procedure:

Marinate the chicken with the sauces, vinegar, powders, giner-garlic pastes, salt and ajinamoto for half an hour. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the spring onion and the green chillies and fry well. Then add the chicken. Cook it on medium fire. When it is almost cooked, add the capsicum and cook until it is done.

Mrs.Mano
14th April 2007, 12:02 AM
[tscii:d29251fbd3]Dear Thattai!

Thank you very much for the feedback on ‘beetroot koottu’ and the ‘idli podi’.
I will soon post the recipe of ‘Dry mutton chukka’. You can try the chicken chukka recipe with the mutton also.

[/tscii:d29251fbd3]

Mrs.Mano
14th April 2007, 12:04 AM
I wish all the hubbers a very 'HAPPY TAMIL NEW YEAR!'

Inimai
14th April 2007, 02:49 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano and fellow hubbers,

Iniya Tamizh Puththandu Vazhthukal !!!

Nanri!

suvai
14th April 2007, 05:26 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thank you for posting punjabi Khadi recipe...:-) Will surely try it & let u know the result.
I take this to wish you & yours Puthiya Puthaandu Vaazhthukal!!!!
I also wish all the hubbers & members who make this forum happen.
Double thanks......:-) suvai

Thattai
14th April 2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Mrs. MAno.

A very happy and prosperous new year to you and all fellow hubbers.

I made Microwave rava kesari, rava khichidi and ulunthu vada as per your recipes today. I messed up the kesari as I was in a hurry and read the proportions wrong. I took some firefighting measures, so the taste was pretty good though the texture was sad :cry: But intend to re-make it the proper way next weekend as it is one of my husband's fav sweets.

The khichidi was very good. The vada was also tasting very good. Also nice and crisp and did not soak too much oil as i added lentils also.

Only thing was I ground it in the mixie, so had to add more water than required to make the thing grind, so it did not hold the shape. So instead I made bondas with it and the taste and texture were both very good as I mentioned earler.

Mrs. MAno, any tips for grinding vada atta in the mixie? I don't have a wet grinder. I tried with very little water, but the atta was just not moving. Hence had to add more water.

Thanks again for the recipes, and a very happy new year again to one and all... :)

suvai
14th April 2007, 06:56 PM
Hi Thattai,
Puthaandu Vaazhthukal to you too!!
would you be kind enough to give me a link to microwave vadai by Mrs. Mano plz...& thanks...suvai....:-)

dev
15th April 2007, 06:32 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Is boiled rice= par-boiled rice or pulungal arisi?... Should we use raw rice or par-boiled rice for aappam?...

Mrs.Mano
17th April 2007, 12:21 AM
[tscii:b26e06a739]Dear Thattai!

Thanks a lot for the feedback of rawa kesari, rawa kitchadi and ulunthu vadai.
For grinding unlunthu for vadai- soak the ulunthu with water and keep the bowl in the fridge. When grinding it, sprinkle the water little by little to the black gram in the mixi and run the mixi for a second. Then again sprinkle some water and then grind. Thus you can grind the ulunthu into a thick forthy batter.

Here is the recipe of ‘Dry mutton chukka’ for you. Hope you will enjoy it.

MUTTON CHUKKA:

Ingredients:

Boneless mutton pieces- 1/2 kilo
Ginger paste- 1/2 sp
Garlic paste- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Pepper powder- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Cinnamon pr- 1 piece
Cloves-2
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Chopped onion-3
Chopped tomato-2
Curry leaves- a handful
Tomato paste-1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 4 tbsp

Procedure:

Marinate the mutton with 1 tsp chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, the pastes and the pepper powder for half an hour. Then pressure cook it for 4 whistles. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the onion and fry it to golden brown colour. Add the tomatoes and fry well until the tomatoes are mashed well and the oil floats on top. Add the mutton, curry leaves and the tomato paste with a little salt. Powder the cinnamon, cloves and fennel seeds and add it to the curry. Mix well and cook the mutton until they are soft and dry.

[/tscii:b26e06a739]

Mrs.Mano
17th April 2007, 12:21 AM
[tscii:2f0146a7ec]Dear Suvai!

I haven’t posted ‘Microwave ulunthuvadai’. It is not possible to prepare methu vadai in a microwave oven. Thattai have mentioned that she made microwave kesari and then the ordinary ulunthuvadai. You have misunderstood it.

[/tscii:2f0146a7ec]

Mrs.Mano
17th April 2007, 12:22 AM
Hello dev!

Puzungalarisi is called as par boiled rice as well as boiled rice. All are the same. We can use both rice varieties for preparing aappam. I have posted aappam recipes using raw rice and also par boiled rice.

dev
17th April 2007, 07:00 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thanks a lot for clarifying my doubt... I find it bit difficult to get raw rice here...So,will try the aappam that uses par-boiled rice & let you know how it turns out...

Thattai
17th April 2007, 11:50 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Thanks for the tips on grinding vada atta in the mixie.

Also thanks for the mutton chukka recipe. I look forward to trying it out soon :D

Thattai
17th April 2007, 12:11 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Could you also please explain how to clean attukaal and how long to pressure cook it?

Thanks in advance.

Tharuna
18th April 2007, 10:35 AM
dear Mrs.Mano,

i have tried ur mutton chukka recipe and it was excellent. thanx a lot.

Mrs.Mano
19th April 2007, 10:49 PM
Dear Thattai!

Regarding the cleaning of the aattukkaal- the legs must be burnt in a handmade fire to remove the hair and then the legs must be cleaned thoroughly with a sharp knife. Then they must be washed for 4 or 5 times. Then turmeric powder is applied to them and kept it like that for an hour. Again they are washed thoroughly. In villages, they are cooked with turmeric powder and pepper powder in a broad vessel on slow fire throughout the whole night so that the legs would become soft to eat in the morning after the required spices are added for the taste. It is not possible nowadays to cook for the whole night. So you can cook them in a pressure cooker with enough water for 15 minutes first and then put off the fire. After an hour again cook for 15 minutes. Thus cook them for 45 minutes to make the legs soft.

Mrs.Mano
19th April 2007, 10:49 PM
[tscii:31efc428b7]Dear Tharuna!

Welcome to the forumhub!
And thanks a lot for the feedback on ‘mutton chukka’.
[/tscii:31efc428b7]

Tharuna
20th April 2007, 09:46 AM
hallo Mrs. mano,

i've come across many cooks who dont disclose their secrets and are very protective abt their recipes. i thank u a lot for ur sincere and selfless work. can u tell me how we can make crispy french fries at home?

Reg chappathi : i always beat egg whites with milk and add them to the flour and knead them to a soft dough. am getting good chappathis. but my parathas are a disaster.They turn out to be very thick and are hard. how do i get nice parathas? whats the trick behind good parathas.

Bajjis: can u give me some recipes for bajjis?. my bajjis are ok but not very tasty.
Thanx a lot

Mrs.Mano
21st April 2007, 11:44 AM
Dear Tharuna!

Thank you very much for the appreciation. Here are some tips and the procedure of making paratha for you. Yr procedure of making chappathi is very different from others and I appreciate you for that.

For a delicious bajji, make the batter with 1 cup of gram flour, 2 tsp of plain flour, 2 tsp of rice flour and 1 tsp of chilli powder. In this way, you will get tasty bajjiies.

For nice french fries- peel off the outer skins of the potatoes, cut them in to half and soak them in salt water for half an hour. After that, you can cut them into fingers and fry them in hot oil. The fire should not be very high.

PARATHA:

ingredients:

Plain flour- 1 cu
Wheat flour- 1 cup
3 tbsps ghee or butter
Salt- 1 tsp
Enough water
A pinch of baking powder

Procedure:

Make smooth dough as you make for chappathi. Then keep it like that for 15 minutes. Make 6 or 8 balls of the same size and flatten then in to thin chappathies. Spread 1 tsp of butter on the upper surface of a chappathi and fold it in to half. Then again spread a little butter and then again fold in to another half. Now roll it in to a circle making the edge thinner than the centre. Cook it on a hot griddle on both sides. Thus prepare all the parathas.

rockydeva
21st April 2007, 11:50 AM
hi mrs.mano,

how to do BUTTER NAAN..?

Thattai
21st April 2007, 03:51 PM
Dear Thattai!

Regarding the cleaning of the aattukkaal- the legs must be burnt in a handmade fire to remove the hair and then the legs must be cleaned thoroughly with a sharp knife. Then they must be washed for 4 or 5 times. Then turmeric powder is applied to them and kept it like that for an hour. Again they are washed thoroughly. In villages, they are cooked with turmeric powder and pepper powder in a broad vessel on slow fire throughout the whole night so that the legs would become soft to eat in the morning after the required spices are added for the taste. It is not possible nowadays to cook for the whole night. So you can cook them in a pressure cooker with enough water for 15 minutes first and then put off the fire. After an hour again cook for 15 minutes. Thus cook them for 45 minutes to make the legs soft.

Dear Mrs. Mano,

In the above you have mentioned cooking for 15 mins twice, and then mentioned total of 45 mins. Does that mean wait another hour and again cook for 15 mins? Also, can the hairs be burnt on the gas flame? Thanks in advance.

Tharuna
23rd April 2007, 10:12 AM
Dear Mrs. mano,

thanx once again for ur recipes and ur appreciation. i will try ur recipes asap .

I came across a recipe for kheema samosa in which the author suggested the use of screwpine essence (kewra). i dont know what screwpine essence or kewra means. The author stated that it is this essence which gives the flavour for the samosa. can u explain what screwpine is ?

Thanx in advance.

dsath
23rd April 2007, 02:50 PM
Dear Mrs Mano,
Yesterday i tried your mutton chukka recipe. It turned out to be a hit with my family. My children loved it. I have tried many different recipes for mutton chukka and none have come close to yours. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

suvai
24th April 2007, 06:39 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Trust all is well with you & yours.
Would you be kind enough to give me the recipe for "Buhari's Samosa"...romba naalaa try pannaren....engeyum kidaikalai....if you by any chance know it...plz post. :D Thank you Mrs. Mano!!!!...........ipadi ku suvai

Mrs.Mano
25th April 2007, 01:57 PM
[tscii:2a20c3f5d8]Hello Rockydeva!

Here is the recipe for Butter Naan’ for you!

BUTTER NAAN:

Ingredients:

Plain flour- half kilo
Yoghourt- quarter cup
Fresh yeast- 2 tbsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Sugar- 1 tsp
Warm milk- 1cup
Butter- 4 tbsp

Procedure:

Mix yeast with sugar and warm milk and keep it for 30 minutes. Sift the flour with salt twice. Place it in a bowl, make a well in the center and pour the yoghurt with the yeast mixture and 2tbsp of butter. Knead well to smooth dough and keep it covered in a warm place for 3 to 4 hours or until it doubles in size. Punch down the dough and knead again. Divide it into 6 or 8 portions, and roll in to round discs of 6 inches diameter. Brush with the remaining butter. Bake them in pre-heated oven [450 degree F-gas mark 5] for 5 minutes. Again brush with butter and serve.

[/tscii:2a20c3f5d8]

Mrs.Mano
25th April 2007, 01:58 PM
Dear Suvai!

I had never been to Bhuhari restaurant. So I do not know the taste of samosa they are preparing. If I come across that recipe, then I will post it for you.

Mrs.Mano
25th April 2007, 02:02 PM
[tscii:dabf0fad9e]Dear Thattai!

You are right. Totally the ‘aattukkaal’ needs 45 minutes cooking. You can burn them on a gas fire. I forgot to mention one thing. Immerse the aattukkaal first in very hot water for some time. It will be easy to remove the hair after that before burning them on fire.

[/tscii:dabf0fad9e]

Mrs.Mano
25th April 2007, 02:09 PM
[tscii:b903024e0a]Dear dsath!

Thank you very much for the warm appreciation and feedback on ‘mutton chukka’. This is the real happiness I always get when some one gets much appreciation on her successful attempt on my recipe.
[/tscii:b903024e0a]

Mrs.Mano
25th April 2007, 02:20 PM
Dear Tharuna!

You can get a good explanation for yr query in the following link:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Extracts.html

rockydeva
25th April 2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano, thx for your BUTTERNAAN recipe,i will try out this weakend

i have a silly doubt. plz clarify it.. what is the exact measurement of 1 cup.. (1 cup of flour = ??)

Tharuna
27th April 2007, 10:28 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

i made parathas as per ur recipe and they turned out good. i referred to so many cookery books and websites for good paratha recipe but i never found one. the simple issue of adding some wheat flour to plain flour altered so much the softness and taste of the parathas.

tried ur jeeraka rasam too. it was like 'kalyana virundu rasam'. i liked it very much.

thanx for ur link on screwpine essence (kewra). found what i wanted .

The rava dosa which i make is a little soft and not like crispy ones they serve in the restaurant.(for 1 cup rava i use 1 cup of plain flour and 1/2 cup of rice flour) how do i get crispy rava dosas?

can u give me ur version of lemon rice, puliyodharai and tomato rice? coz am sure they will be a lot tastier and better than mine.

Thanx in advance

dev
27th April 2007, 04:34 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I tried AAPPAM[with boiled rice]... the outer thin layer truned out crisp but the thicker middle part was soft but sticky... Can u please let me know what could be the probable reason?...

Thanks...

Inimai
28th April 2007, 03:11 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I made your raw banana fry II two days ago. It tasted good and everybody liked it. I have a question. At the end should it be a crispier one or gravy kind? I got a semi dry curry. May I know how it should be at the end?

Thanks!

Thattai
30th April 2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the cleaning of trotters Mrs. Mano. I hope to try the Paya as well as the mutton chukka soon...

cynthia_a02
30th April 2007, 09:29 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,I tried the pepper chicken fry-II yesterday.Its simply awesome.Thank you for such a nice receipe.Thanks again.

Mrs.Mano
1st May 2007, 11:05 AM
Hello Rockydeva!

The exact measurement of 1 cup is equal to 200gm

Mrs.Mano
1st May 2007, 11:07 AM
Dear Cynthia!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on 'chettinadu pepper fry'.

Mrs.Mano
1st May 2007, 11:25 AM
Dear Tharuna!

I am glad to know that you were successful in making tasty soft parathas. I always add a small quantity of plain flour while making chappathis also. Thanks for the nice feedback on parathas as well as jeeraka rasam. This jeeraka rasam is the most favourable rasam in my house.

Here I am posting recipes on Tomato rice and rawa dosai. I will post the recipes for lemon rice and puliyotharai within a few days.

TOMATO RICE:

Ingredients:

Rice cooked with salt- 5 cups
Finely chopped tomato- 3 cups
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Oil- 4 tbsp
Turmeric powder-half sp
Salt to taste
Ghee- 2 to 4 tsp

Fry the following ingredients in a little oil and then powder them finely:

Fenugreek seed- half sp, Bengal gram- 1 sp, coriander seeds- half sp, red chillies-4, asafoetida- a pea size, shredded coconut- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the chopped tomatoes with the turmeric powder and cook them finely until they are fully mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the coriander leaves and cook for a few seconds. Add the powder and mix well. Cook for a few seconds on slow fire. Pour the tomato mixture little by little to the rice and mix well. Add enough mixture till you get the desired effect. Sometimes three fourth of the prepared mixture may be enough for the rice. Add hot ghee and mix well.

About rawa dosai-the ingredients you have added are perfect for rawa dosai. Mine is having slight variations.

The main important thing is that the texture should be watery. If you want crispy, you should cook it on high flame very carefully. When you cook it, spread the batter thinly, pour a few drops of oil around the dosai and cover with a lid. Cook it on high flame. It will be cooked within a minute.

RAWA DOSAI:

Ingredients:

Rawa[semolina] - 1 cup
Plain flour- 1 cup
Rice flour- half cup
Gram dal powder- 2 tsp
Gram flour- 4 tsp
Small onions-8[finely chopped]
Green chillies-3[finely chopped]
Curry leaves- a handful
Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
Curd- quarter cup
Asafoetida powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Sift all the flours. Add all the ingredients with the curd and enough water to make a watery batter. Keep it covered for 3hours and then prepare rawa dosais.

Mrs.Mano
1st May 2007, 11:26 AM
Hello Dev!

Usually the aappam should be soft like sponge in the centre and crispy in the corners. If you have sticky aappam, then the quality of the rice and the cooked rice may be the reasons. You must try with other varieties of rice.

Mrs.Mano
1st May 2007, 11:29 AM
[tscii:e2709946b3]Dear Inimai!

Thank you very much for the feedback on ‘raw banana fry’. As there is tomato, you can not have a crispier fry. If you want a dry result, you can reduce the quantity of tomato.
[/tscii:e2709946b3]

dev
1st May 2007, 11:34 AM
Hello Dev!

Usually the aappam should be soft like sponge in the centre and crispy in the corners. If you have sticky aappam, then the quality of the rice and the cooked rice may be the reasons. You must try with other varieties of rice.

Thanks Mrs.Mano... I too thought the same & have bought another brand of rice... will give it a try...

Inimai
3rd May 2007, 08:35 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Thank you for clarifying my doubt inraw banana fry recipe!

rockydeva
3rd May 2007, 11:01 PM
Thx Mrs.Mano for your clarification

pr
5th May 2007, 12:36 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Hope you are doin good .
I tried your palak paneer today and it turned out to be a great hit . I followd your tips to retain the greem colour and it worked . Thanks very much for the recipe
Regards
Pr

dev
8th May 2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I tried ur kaaramani kaara kulambu recipe today... I used brinjals instead of drumsticks... It turned out very very tasty...Finger licking good...;) :)

Thanks a ton for the recipe....:)

dev
8th May 2007, 07:10 PM
[tscii:63c8d5f653]CHOW CHOW THUKAIYAL:

Ingredients:
Chow chow- 1 [medium sized], chopped tomatoes- ½ cup, lentils- 2 tbsp, black gram- 1 tbsp, asafotida- a pea-sized, tamarind- a marble sized, red chillies-3, green chillies-2, oil- 2 tbsp, salt to taste

Procedure:
Cut the chow chow in to small pieces. Heat a kadai and pour the oil. Add the dals and the asafotida. Fry them to a golden brown colour. Then add the chow chow pieces with the chillies and fry till the vegetable become soft. When cooled, grind all the ingredients with the tamarind and enough salt to a coarse paste.

Hi Mrs.Mano, should we saute the tomatoes with the chow chow or add it raw?[/tscii:63c8d5f653]

Mrs.Mano
9th May 2007, 11:13 AM
Dear Pr!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on palak paneer.

Mrs.Mano
9th May 2007, 11:16 AM
Hello Dev!

Thank you veru much for the feedback on Karamani kara kuzhambu.
I forgot to add the tomato while frying the chow chow with green chillies. Please saute the tomato also.

Mrs.Mano
9th May 2007, 11:24 AM
I am posting here a few tasty recipes which I tried last week.

PALAPPAZHA IDLI: [JACKFRUIT IDLI]

Ingredients:

For palapazha paste:

Pala chulai- 12 to 15
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Jaggery[achu vellam]-4
Cardamom-6
Salt- a pinch

other ingredients:

Semolina-1 to 1 1/2 cup
Baking soda- a pinch

Procedure:

Chop all the pala chlulai in to tiny bits. Grind them with the coconut to a fine paste. Add the cardamom, salt and the mashed jaggery and again grind them finely. This is the palapazha paste. Take half of the paste and add semolina little by little to make a fine idly batter. Add he baking soda and mix well. Keep it covered for 15 minutes. Prepare idlis as usual.

PALAPAZHA PONGAL:

Ingredients:[/b]

Half of the prepared Palapazha paste
Raw rice- 3/4 cup
Green gram- 1/4 cup
Milk- half cup
Saffron- a pinch
Ghee- quarter cup
Shredded coconut- half cup
Raisins- 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Wash the rice and the dal. Add 2 cups of water and the milk. Add a pinch of salt. Pressure cook them to 5 whistles. When cooled, place it on a pan. Add the palapazha paste and mix well. Heat the ghee in a small pan and fry the raisins and cashew nuts. Add the coconut and fry for a few seconds and add these to the pongal. Add the saffron also. Put on the fire and cook the mixture on slow fire for a few minutes

dev
9th May 2007, 12:59 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I saw a similar recipe for jackfruit idli here http://supriyakrishna.blogspot.com/ & told myself I'm never going to try such a weird recipe(sry...the idea of adding jackfruit to idli sounded too weird to me)... So was surprised to find u posting a similar recipe & tht too saying it's so delicious...Now I feel like giving it a try coz I feel tht if it's Mrs.Mano's kitchen, then it SHOULD be delicious... ;) :D

Mrs.Mano
10th May 2007, 04:54 PM
Hello Dev!

Thanks a lot for the link. This blog looks interesting!
You will not believe it, but the taste of this palappazha pongal and idli is very very delicious. Write to me after you have tried.

dev
10th May 2007, 05:50 PM
Hello Dev!

Thanks a lot for the link. This blog looks interesting!
You will not believe it, but the taste of this palappazha pongal and idli is very very delicious. Write to me after you have tried.

Sure Mrs.Mano... Will definitely try it once I buy some palappazhams... the shops near my house doesn't carry it...I just checked with them today...

dev
10th May 2007, 05:51 PM
BTW, can we eat those idlis as such or ???... any good accompaniment for it?...

pr
11th May 2007, 11:08 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried the gulab jamun recipe with milk powder and it turned excellent . Thanks very much for the recipe.
Could you please post the recipe for wheat dosai using wheat flour .. I want the exact proportion of mixing wheat flour with rice flour or whatever flour. My dosa sticks to the pan , and its not crisp . Its kine of kozha kozha.
Thanks and Regards
Pr

arrecipes
12th May 2007, 02:14 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I tried out ur Vegetable kofta pulav it was delicious. Eventhough it involves lot of work, it is worth the result.

I tried to make tomato dosa with the given proportions, but i could not spread it like a dosa it started to stick when i pour the batter on the griddle. Can u please help me out with this. I tried different temperatures of the griddle and different consistency of the batter but none worked out for me.

Tomato rice was really so nice. My husband, who doesn't favor variety rice really appreciated this type of tomato rice. Thanks for sharing ur culinary expertise with us. Looking forward for some more new recipes from u.

suvai
14th May 2007, 03:46 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Trust & hope all is well with you & yours.... :) .
Could you kindly post a good recipe for Vegetable Hydrabadi Biriyani please....Thank you in advance.........regards....suvai

suvai
14th May 2007, 03:52 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano.......wanted to let you know that namma kitchen la onga recipes thaaaanga most of the time. I have put my friends on to your lovely recipes too......all that I have tried so far has turned out to be a knock out at the table ....thanks once again for your tremendous efforts..........regards....suvai

Tharuna
14th May 2007, 10:42 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I made rawa kitchadi as per ur measurements and it turned out to be very good. my husband who never eats upma asked for more of it. Thanx to ur good recipe that i have a simple but tasty tiffin now.
am going thru ur previous thread and trying recipes one by one.
am so impressed by ur recipes.

dev
14th May 2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I have a query regarding the spices like pattai, krambu, yelakkai... I always find it very difficult to balance these spices when I use it in briyani etc...I always find it difficult to follow any standard recipes for briyani/pulav as the measurements are usually for 1 1/2 or 2 cups but I make in lesser quantity only... is there any standard ratio when we use all these spices together?... Can U post a recipe for briyani masala which can be used for pulavs & biriyanis... I mean, something that can be used instead of these whole spices but tht would taste equally good...

dsath
15th May 2007, 03:23 PM
[tscii:2dc345e38b]
Hi Dsath,
Hi Suvai,
My friend is back, and this is her recipe (from Karnataka)

1.Make the poori dough using Wheat flour or Maida, salt and water.
2.Rest the dough for 1/2 hour and make poories. The size of the poori is to individual taste. She made small poories for us, but her mom makes big ones.
3.Boil 1 cup of jaggery in 1 cup water and skim of the impurities.
4.In a blender, make a paste of coconut and poppy seeds.
5.Add this paste to the warm jaggery along with some crushed cardamom.
6.Dip the poories in the jaggery syrup and serve warm or you can place the poories in a plate and pour the syrup over them.
It tastes yummy when the syrup is nice and warm.
[/tscii:2dc345e38b]

Tharuna
16th May 2007, 01:10 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
tried ur bread toast with idly batter. i found it tasty. i normally beat eggs with milk and sugar ,then dip the bread in this mixture and toast it. yours was a good spicy variation.
can u please post some recipes using bread.? thanx in advance

suvai
17th May 2007, 04:43 AM
Hi Dsath,
Thanks for remembering to post my request........:-)
Will surely give it a try & let you know how it turns out. Since the recipe involves coconut milk & vellam.....I tell ya....its gonna be a lip smacking sweet dish!!!......thanks for sharing!!!.....regards...Suvai

Mrs.Mano
17th May 2007, 09:58 PM
I am posting here a few tasty recipes which I have tried a few weeks ago.

MICROWAVE COFFEE CAKE:

Ingredients:

Plain flour- 250gm
Sugar- 250 gm
Eggs-4
Butter- 250 gm
Baking powder- 2 tsp
Milk- 4 tbsp
Coffee essence- 2 tsp
Instant coffee-3 tbsp
Hot water- 5 tbsp

Procedure:

Sift the flour with the baking powder thrice. Powder the sugar. Mix the instant coffee powder with the hot water thoroughly and allow it to cool. Beat the sugar with the butter till soft. Add the eggs one by one whisking well. Add the flour little by little along with coffee, essence and the milk. Pour in a microwave baking bowl and bake in the microwave oven on mark 750[one step behind HIGH] for 8 minutes.

TOMATO RICE-2

Ingredients:

Cooked rice[salted]- 4 cups
Tomato[chopped]- 2 cups
Sambar powder-1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tspblack gram- 1 tsp
Small onions-10
Chopped coriander-half cup
Turmeric powder- half sp
Salt
Oil- 3 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the black gram and the asafoetida powder. Fry for a few seconds. Add the chopped onion and fry to a golden brown colour. Add the tomato with the turmeric powder and the sambar powder. Cook until the tomato is mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the chopped coriander and cook for a few seconds. Put off the fire. Add rice gradually and mix well till you get desired taste.

Mrs.Mano
17th May 2007, 10:00 PM
Dear Pr!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on gulab jamoon. I always prepare wheat dosai with wheat flour only. It will be always crisp. Some brands are sticky. You must choose a good quality. If you want an addition of any flour, just add half cup of idli maavu to 2 cups of wheat flour, 1 tsp jeera, half sp of asafoetida powder, salt and curry leaves. You will get nice crisp dosas.

Mrs.Mano
19th May 2007, 10:51 PM
[tscii:01cc946ec1]Dear arrecipes!

Thank you very much for the feedback on ‘Tomato rice and the ‘vegetable kofta pulao’ ’. I have also posted here another variety of Tomato rice.

Have you tried the ‘Tomato dosai’ recipe of Mrs.Mallika Badrinath which I have posted earlier? That is a good recipe and it will yield good and tasty dosais. Never mind. I am here posting another recipe of tomato dosai for you!

TOMATO DOSAI-2

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 2 cups
Chopped tomato- 1 1/2 cups
Tamarind- a marble size
Red chillies- 8
Black gram- 3 tsp
Thuar dal- 3 tp
Salt
Chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves

Procedure:

Soak the rice and the dals in enough water for 1 hour. Grind them with the tomatoes, red chillies, tamarind and salt to a fine batter. Add the greens and mix well. Allow it to ferment for 5 hours. Then prepare thin dosais as usual.

[/tscii:01cc946ec1]

Mrs.Mano
19th May 2007, 10:51 PM
Dear Suvai!

I have already posted the recipe for vegetable Briyani. It is the same in Hyderabad Vegetable Briyani. Dry fruits and nuts are added in Hyderabad briyani and that is the main difference.

arrecipes
20th May 2007, 04:12 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
I tried the Mrs. Mallika Badrinath's version, i did not ferment it as it was mentioned that we can prepare the dosa immediately. Should we need to ferment for that version?
I will try out this version and let u know the result. Thanks for the recipe.

suvai
21st May 2007, 04:31 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thank you for your prompt reply. I will try out the vegetable biriyani with nuts & fruits...:-)
Could you kindly post your recipes for Punjabi Khadi & Punjabi aloo....one can follow your recipes without hesitation!!...thanks Mrs.mano!!!
Regards...........suvai :-)

sangeetha_me
21st May 2007, 10:48 PM
Dear Mrs Mano

I tried your recipe for semiya idli..it was very different and nice.

Tharuna
22nd May 2007, 10:30 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,
i've got some chicken meat balls. can u suggest some dishes i can make with those meat balls. thanx in advance

Mrs.Mano
25th May 2007, 09:29 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'semiya idli'.

Mrs.Mano
25th May 2007, 09:35 PM
Dear Tharuna!

About chicken balls- I could not understand what kind of balls they are! If they are frozen ones, you can fry them and make gravy with them or with that gravy, you can prepare any briyani variety.
We can make various recipes on bread. We can make a few recipes of dosa varieties, sweets like bread rabri, shahi thukda etc.
I am posting here a few recipes on Bread for you!

BREAD AVAL UPUMA:

Ingredients:

Aval[poha]- 1 cup
Finely chopped onion- 1 cup
Finely chopped tomato- 3 cups
Minced green chillies- 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-half sp
Frozen sweet corn- half cup
Half of a small pocket of one-day old bread
Enough salt
Oil- 4 tbsp

Procedure:

Wash and soak the aval in enough water for 5 minutes and then drain the water completely.
Heat a pan and add the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the black gram with the asafoetida powder. Fry for a few seconds and then add the onion with the green chillies and fry them to golden brown. Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder, salt and the corn. When the tomato is mashed completely and the oil floats on top, add the aval and cook on slow fire. Mix well. Make crumbs out of the bread with the fingers and add them to the mixture. Cook on slow fire for a few seconds. Add the coriander and mix well.

Variations:
You can prepare this with 4 eggs instead of aval.

DAL BREAD:

Ingredients;

Bread slices
Green gram- 2 cups
Onion-1
Green chillies-5
Ginger-a small piece
Coriander- 2 tbsp
Mint leaves- 2 tbsp
Enough salt and oil

Procedure:

Soak the green gram for 1 hour and then grind with salt to a thin batter. Grind the remaining ingredients coarsely and mix with the batter. Dip a bread slice in the batter and immediately place it on a hot griddle. Pour some oil around it. Cook both sides to golden brown colour.

Thattai
25th May 2007, 10:25 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

MAde the Handi chicken and it cam out very nice. In spite of not adding any water there was a good amount of gravy. I was quite unsure of making it as I avoid dry fruits in my cooking, and I am particularly not fond of cashews. But the dish was very good and a perfect accompaniment for rotis.

Thanks yet again for a winner.

PS it was also pretty easy to make as most of your recipes are... :)

Thattai
25th May 2007, 10:39 PM
I am posting here a few tasty recipes which I tried last week.

PALAPPAZHA IDLI: [JACKFRUIT IDLI]

Ingredients:

For palapazha paste:

Pala chulai- 12 to 15
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Jaggery[achu vellam]-4
Cardamom-6
Salt- a pinch

[

Dear Mrs. Mano,

HOw much jaggery is to be added in the above recipe?

Mrs.Mano
25th May 2007, 10:44 PM
Dear Thattai!

Thank you very much for the feedback on handi chicken as well as the nice appreciation.
You can add 2 cups of crushed jaggery. You can add more according to yr taste.

Mrs.Mano
25th May 2007, 10:47 PM
[tscii:45d41b2ecf]Dear Suvai!

Here I am posting the recipe of ‘Punjabi Kadhi for you’. About Aaloo recipe-are you asking for Dum aaloo?

PUNJABI KADHI:

Ingredients:

For pakoras:

Gram flour- 1 cup
Finely chopped onion- half
Finely minced green chillies- 1
Chilli powder- half sp
Ajwain powder- a pinch
Garam masala- a pinch
Cumin seeds- half sp
Red chilli pr- a pinch
Enough water and salt

For Kadhi:

Gram flour- 1 cup
Chopped onion-half cup
Chopped tomato- 1 cup
Ginger paste- half tsp
Garlic paste- half sp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- half sp
Curry leaves- a handful
Cumin seeds- half sp
Garam masala powder- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Curd- 2 cups

Procedure:

Mix all the ingredients for the pakoras with enough water to make smooth thick dough. Make small pakoras out of it. Place them in a paper towel. Mix the curds with the gram flour, garam amsala pr, turmeric powder, salt, and enough water to make a very thin mixture like butter milk. Keep it covered for 1 hour.
Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add all the seeds and when they splutter add the curry leaves, onion and the pastes and fry for a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes and fry well until they are mashed well. Add the chilli powder and fry well. Add the prepared mixture and cook it on slow fire until you get the desired consistency and effect. After the raw taste disappears, add the pakoras slowly and cook carefully for a few minutes.

[/tscii:45d41b2ecf]

Tharuna
26th May 2007, 12:02 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I meant the frozen chicken meat balls which we get in supermarkets (am in sydney) . They are made with wheat, soy,salt chicken and other ingredients. sorry for not being very clear.

Once again thanx for ur bread recipes and tomato rice varieties.
Especially i liked the first variety of tomato rice. will try your bread recipes soon.

pr
29th May 2007, 11:46 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Could you please post the redipe for ragi idli whenever you find time .
Thanks and Regards
Pr

pr
30th May 2007, 07:23 AM
Forgot to add in my previous post. I'm looking for ragi idli recipe with ragi flour .
thanks and Regards
Pr

sangeetha_me
1st June 2007, 11:16 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano

I tried your 'Maida Biscuit' and 'Araithu vitta sambhar'. Both were excellent. Thanks for the wonderful recipes.

pr
3rd June 2007, 04:43 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Hope u r doin good . Could you pleas post the recipe for sola (cholam) dosai . Not the corn flour. I found sorghum(solam) flour here in a grocery shop and want to try dosa with it. Back at home solam and urad dal are soaked , ground and fermented .I want to try with sorghum flour and would like to know the proportion .Please help me.
Best regards
Pr

suvai
3rd June 2007, 09:21 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thank you so very much for the punjabi khadi...........super recipe!!!!......sorry I couldnt reply earlier......veetila orey guests....lol.
The recipe i asked is not aloo dum....but not sure what they call it....but for sure ingredients are dried methi...red chillies...the rest i dont know lol......its kind of dry Mrs.Mano........thank u nga...................hope & trust all is well................take care........regards....suvai

Mrs.Mano
5th June 2007, 11:19 AM
Dear Pr!

I regret for the delayed reply. As I am in Tamilnadu, I find a very little time for the internet.

Here I am posting the recipe for Ragi Idli using Ragi flour. Regarding makkacholam idli- I have also prepared it by grinding soaked makka cholam, boiled rice and black gram. I have never made makkachola dosai with its flour. If I come along any recipe with it, I will post it for you. But you can try it like this Ragi idli recipe.

RAGI IDLI:

INGREDIENTS:

Ragi flour- 2 cups
Black gram- half cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the black gram for an hour and grind it. Make a thick batter with the ragi flour. Mix in the black gram batter with enough salt. Let it ferment for 6 hours. Then prepare idli as usual.

Mrs.Mano
5th June 2007, 11:21 AM
Dear Sangeetha!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'araiththuvitta sambar' and 'Maida biscuit'!

pr
5th June 2007, 11:10 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Thanks very much for the ragi idli recipe . I will try this weekend and let you know the feedback . Regarding the chola dosai I'm talking about the vellai(white ) solam and not the makkacholam dosai . This cholam will be small white or yellow balls (manja cholam) .Keep me posted whenever you find some recipes for the same . Enjoy your trip in India .
Best Regards
Pr

dev
6th June 2007, 08:55 AM
HI PR,

If u talking abt jowar flour, U can make jowar flour dosai by mixing it with sour dosa batter(normal rice-urad dhal dosa batter)... U needn't even wait for fermentation if the dosa batter is sour enough... U can make very thin crisp dosas... I'm not sure of the exact measuments as I just used to mix it by 'kan alavu'...:D U can also make maize flour dosa the same way...

pr
6th June 2007, 09:09 AM
Thanx dev. yes I'm talking abt the jowar flour only . I will also try kan alavu . :)

itsmuls
6th June 2007, 12:21 PM
Dear Mr. Mano,

A Request..............

Could you create a sepearte Thread for Indian Microwave Dishes......

Regards

honeydew
6th June 2007, 03:02 PM
what is gram flour and gram dal flour , is besan flour is gram flour means what is gram dal flour.

thanks
regds
honey

suvai
7th June 2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Sangeetha,
Would you mind sending me a link for maida biscuit recipe of mrs. mano......plz & thank u.......regards..........suvai

sangeetha_me
7th June 2007, 07:27 PM
Hai Suvai

Here is the link for the Maida Biscuit recipe

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=900

sangeetha_me
10th June 2007, 09:53 PM
Dear Mrs Mano.

I tried your "Tomato oothappam" recipe yesterday. I added onions on top of the oothappam..it turned out yummy. Very very nice recipe.

I also tried your "Garam Pakoda" recipe. IN the ingredients, have you missed out chilli powder or is it just not needed? I added a spoon of sambhar powder to it other than all the ingredients you have mentioned. It was fantastic. Simply superb. My husband simply loved it.

suvai
12th June 2007, 06:46 AM
hi Sangeetha!!

thank u for so thoughtfully remembering to post Mrs. Mano's maida buscuit recipe.....:-)............take care....regards.....suvai!!

pr
14th June 2007, 08:34 AM
Hi Friends
Is thekkarandi teaspoon or tablespoon
Thanks
Pr

dev
14th June 2007, 08:41 AM
thaekarandi is teaspoon
maejaikarandi is tablespoon

pr
14th June 2007, 06:36 PM
Thanx very much Dev

pr
19th June 2007, 08:29 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried ur ragi idli today and it came very good. It was soft and I'm happy about it . Thank you very much for posting the recipe
Thanks
Pr

dev
19th June 2007, 04:43 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Could u pls post a recipe for vadai kari?...

Mrs.Mano
22nd June 2007, 04:52 PM
[tscii:01db3169f3]Dear Sangeetha!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on ‘Tomato ooththappam’ and ‘garam pakoda’.

I think that I have forgotten to add green chillies in the garam pakoda recipe. Normally finely chopped green chillies are added in pakoda varieties.

[/tscii:01db3169f3]

Mrs.Mano
22nd June 2007, 04:53 PM
[tscii:a1c710fb3c]Dear Dev!

I have already posted the recipe for ‘vadai curry’ in the very first page of the Tamilnadu recipes-part one.

[/tscii:a1c710fb3c]

Mrs.Mano
22nd June 2007, 05:05 PM
Here I am posting a few recipes which I have tried recently.

ONION RICE:

Ingredients;

Finely sliced onion-3
Long grain rice [cooked with salt]- 4 cups
Finely chopped green chilli-1
Turmeric powder- half sp
Tamarind- a small lime size
Mustard seeds-1tsp
Chopped coriander- quarter cup
Curry leaves- a few
Oil-2 tbsp
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Fry the following spices in oil to golden brown and then powder them finely;

Coriander rice- 2 tsp, red chillies-2, Bengal gram-3 tsp, cloves-2, cinnamon-1 big piece, gram dal- 2 tsp

Procedure;

Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water for half an hour and then extract the thick juice. Heat a pan and pour the oil and the ghee. When they become hot add the mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, add the sliced onion with the green chilli and fry well till they are transparent and slightly browned. Add the tamarind juice with the turmeric powder and enough salt and cook it until it is thickened. Add the fried powder, mix well and cook it on slow fire for a few minutes. Then add the rice with the chopped coriander and the curry leaves, mix well and cook for a few seconds.

THAKKAALI VENGKAAYA THUVAIYAL:

Ingredients:

Red chillies-10
Small onion-10
Finely chopped tomato-2 cup
Tamarind- a small gooseberry size
Garlic flakes-3
Chopped coriander-quarter cup
Curry leaves- 1 arc
Black gram- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil-3 tsp

Procedure;

Fry all the ingredients in the oil and then grind to a coarsely paste.

sangeetha_me
2nd July 2007, 08:24 AM
HI Mrs. Mano

I made 'parathas' yesterday as per your recipe. It came out super soft and very very nice ! Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

pr
2nd July 2007, 08:42 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried your chilli gobi today and it came out excellent . Thanks very much for the recipe .
I tried rasagulla as per your recipe . Mine turned out to be more like cheese balls . The balls were hard .Where did I go wrong ? How does the rasagulla in the shop are so soft. Please let me give some more hints and I will try out next time
Thanks
pr

Mrs.Mano
3rd July 2007, 03:50 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'Paratha'.

Mrs.Mano
3rd July 2007, 03:50 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'Paratha'.

Mrs.Mano
6th July 2007, 12:14 AM
Dear itsmuls!

Thanks for the suggestion. Soon I will create a thread for 'icrowave recipes'. I am already thinking about it!

Mrs.Mano
6th July 2007, 12:18 AM
Dear Pr!

I think I have not posted any recipe of 'Rasagulla' previously. Could you post its link? I will clear yr doubts after seeing the link.

Thank you very much for the feedback on 'Chilli gobi'.

Mrs.Mano
6th July 2007, 12:29 AM
Here I am posting a tasty recipe on chicken which I have tried recently.

BONELESS CHICKEN FRY:

Ingredients:

Boneless chicken [cut into small pieces]- 1 kilo
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder-half tsp
Finely chopped onion- half cup
Finely chopped tomato- 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 4 tbsp

Grind the following ingredients into a paste:

Shredded coconut- 2 tbsp, cashew nuts-5, cinnamon- 1 piece, fennel seeds- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Marinate the chicken with the chilli powder, salt, pastes and the turmeric powder for 30 minutes. Heat a broad pan and pour the oil. Add the onion and the tomato and fry well. Add the chicken and fry on medium fire until the chicken is almost done. Add the ground paste and again fry the chicken until it becomes dry. Add the chopped coriander and mix well. Cook for a few seconds.

sangeetha_me
6th July 2007, 06:38 PM
Hi Mrs. Mano

Tried your 'Capsicum and Peas Pulav' yesterday. Turned out yummy ! very nice ! Thank you.

pr
7th July 2007, 01:25 AM
[tscii:719b6eb58f]Dear Mrs Mano
I have a word document of all your recipes and I found rasagulla recipe in that . I am sorry if its not your recipe . Long back some hubber send this as an attachment to me .Am posting the recipe here . I sent an email to u have just now with ur recipes I have in the file .
RASAGULLA:
Heat 1 liter of thick milk in a vessel to simmering point. When the milk starts to simmer, put off the fire and pour the juice of 2 limes in it. The milk will start to curdle. If it doesn’t start to curdle, then you can add a little more limejuice. When the milk is fully curdled pour 2 big cups of water in it. Close it with a lid and allow it to stand for 10 minutes. Then strain it through a muslin cloth. Press out the excess water and remove the paneer to a glass plate. Add 1sp fine semolina to it and gently knead it with yr palm into soft dough. Make small equal sized balls out of it. Put 2 cups of sugar in a deep pan with 3 cups of water. Heat it. When it starts to simmer drop all the balls in it gently. Cover the pan with a hollow plate, which is full of water. The fire must be medium to high. When the water in the lid starts to simmer, put off the fire. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Then remove the lid carefully and take out the rasgullas and cool them to room temperature. Add a little rose essence and chill them for at least 4 hours before using

Please post a rasagulla recipe of yours when u have time .
Thanks
Pr

[/tscii:719b6eb58f]

dev
7th July 2007, 08:04 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano

Tried your 'Capsicum and Peas Pulav' yesterday. Turned out yummy ! very nice ! Thank you.

Can u pls post the link for this recipe... I couldn't locate it...

pr
8th July 2007, 02:08 AM
Dev , Here u go
http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5637&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=450

dev
8th July 2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks a lot pr...:)

sangeetha_me
9th July 2007, 03:38 AM
Hi Dev..you must have got the link. Thanks pr .

Mrs.Mano
9th July 2007, 08:59 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on 'Capsicum and Peas pulao'!

Mrs.Mano
9th July 2007, 09:10 PM
[tscii:c5049503a3]Dear Pr!

Here I am posting the recipe for ‘Rassgulla’.

Some people add fine semolina as a binder to the prepared paneer to make Rassgullas. But semolina tends to make the rassgullas a little harder. Also adding either citric acid or sour curd to curdle the milk will also make the rassgullas slightly harder. Kneading the paneer to a smooth texture is a must and if it is not kneaded properly, the rasgullas will be harder. The whey water and plain flour are the best ingredients to make soft rassgullas. The drained water while making paneer can be stored in the fridge for 10 days. This is called the whey water and it is the best to curdle the boiling milk while preparing paneer.

RASSGULLA:

Ingredients:

Milk- 2 litres
Sugar- 1 ½ kilos
Water- 8 cups
Ice cold water- 2 cups
Rose essence- 1 tsp
Plain flour- 1 ½ tbsp
Enough whey water [3 days old] or 2 to 3 tbsp lime juice

PROCEDURE:

Bring the milk to boil. When it starts simmering reduce the fire to medium. Add the whey water little by little and stir slowly until the milk curdles and the whey water and the paneer separate. Put off the fire and leave it for 10 minutes to let the curdling process finish.

Pour it on a fine white cloth and drain all the water. Hang it for an hour to drain thoroughly. Place a wooden piece on the drained paneer to drain completely. Mash paneer with palm of hand till it becomes smooth. If you feel your fingers greasy, then it is the correct point to stop the mashing. Add the plain flour and mix thoroughly. Make small balls and cover them with a damp cloth.
Combine the sugar with 8 cups of water in a broad pan and place it on fire. When the sugar is dissolved and the syrup starts boiling, allow it to simmer for 2 minutes. Put off the fire. Take half of the syrup in to a broad pan and heat it. Pour 2 cups of ice cold water in to the other half of the syrup and mix well. When the thick syrup starts boiling immerse all the paneer balls. Stir slowly. After 5 minutes, add quarter cup of thin syrup to the boiling rasgullas. Again after 2 minutes, add 3 tbsp of whey water to it. Repeat this process again. Rassgullas will sink when they are ready. Put off the fire and transfer them to the remaining thin syrup. Add the essence.

Note:

The quantity of sugar varies according to the taste.
A pinch of baking powder can be added along with the plain flour. It will make the rasgullas spongier. It must be sieved with the plain flour before adding into the paneer.
[/tscii:c5049503a3]

sangeetha_me
10th July 2007, 07:04 AM
Hi Mrs Mano

I tried your 'Curd Cucumber Semiya' for breakfast and 'Bisi Bela Bath' for lunch yesterday. Both came out very well.

My husband and kid liked the 'curd cucumber semiya' very very much. It was very different and yummy.

pr
13th July 2007, 09:09 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Thats so nice of you . Thank you very much for the rasagulla recipe .I will try and let you know the feedback . Busy with my exams, so will take a couple of weeks to try .
Regards
Pr

pr
14th July 2007, 06:47 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Could you please post a recipe for pav bhaji .
Thanks
Pr

pr
16th July 2007, 09:38 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried ur microwave palgova recipe and it turned out really excellent. I'm amazed with the results . It is a great dish within minutes. No hassle of milk sticking to the pan etc etc .It saves a lot of time . The taste is like the traditional one. Thanks a ton for posting such an easy recipe.
Is there a short cut method to prepare khoya ? Is unsweetend condensed milk available in the market ? If we follow the same recipe for khoya with unsweetend milk will it turn good .
I tried ur bisi bele bath and it turned out really good .
Do you have a recipe for the makkan peda sweet ?
Thanks and Regards
Pr

Tharuna
16th July 2007, 12:17 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano

I tried the capsicum peas pulav and found it excellent.

Thanx to pr for the link!

pr
17th July 2007, 05:10 AM
Dear sangeetha
Could u pls post the link for curd cucumber semiya .Thanks
Pr

sangeetha_me
17th July 2007, 12:39 PM
Hi pr !

Here is the link for 'Curd & Cucumber Semiya'. Its yummy and quite healthy.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1290

Mrs.Mano
18th July 2007, 10:40 PM
[tscii:041bc0290a]Dear Sangeetha!

Thanks a lot for the feedback and appreciation on ‘curd cucumber semiya’, capsicum peas pulau and ‘bisi bele bath’. This ‘curd cucumber semiya’ is one of my son’s favorite dishes also. I am happy to know that you have enjoyed it.
[/tscii:041bc0290a]

Mrs.Mano
18th July 2007, 10:43 PM
[tscii:e39666ac9c]Dear Pr!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on the recipes ‘Microwave palgova’ and bisi bela bath.
I have never seen any type of ‘unsweetened condensed milk’ in the market.

Here is the recipe of ‘Pau Baaji’ you have asked.

PAU BAAJI:

Ingredients:

Small buns- 12 to 15
Butter- 250gm
Finely chopped onion- 2
Big tomatoes [crushed]-3
Cauliflower florets- 100gms
Peas- half cup
Carrot [cut in to pieces]-1
Green chilli paste- 1 tbsp
Ginger paste- 1 tbsp
Chopped coriander- 1 cup
Garam masala- half sp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Lime juice- 1 tsp
Potatoes [cut in to small pieces]-500 gms
Salt to taste
Oil-3 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half sp

Procedure:

Cook the vegetables in enough salted water. Then drain the water and keep it up. Mash the vegetables. Heat a pan and add the oil along with 3 tbsp of butter. Add the onion and fry for some time. Add the pastes with the turmeric powder and cook for a while. Add the tomatoes and cook until it is mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the mashed vegetables with enough salt and cook for a few minutes. If needed, add the reserved water. Add the garam masala and cook for a few seconds. Sprinkle the lime juice and coriander leaves.
Cut the bun in to halves. Just before serving, melt some butter on the tawa and toast the buns on both sides. Again melt some butter and fry some prepared curry in it.

[/tscii:e39666ac9c]

Mrs.Mano
18th July 2007, 10:46 PM
[tscii:d7604a1f90]Dear Tharuna!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on ‘Peas Capsicum pulao’
[/tscii:d7604a1f90]

KPR
18th July 2007, 11:13 PM
Respected Mrs.Mano,
Can you kindly post the recipe for vendaya kanji.

Thanks.

annie.rp
19th July 2007, 01:35 AM
could someone be kind enough to give me mrs.mano's recipes that were given before 2006?
my hands are paining after i cut/copied/and pasted the 2006 collection.
so please consider my request..
my mail id is annie.rp@gmail.com
thanks in advance

pr
19th July 2007, 03:08 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
THank you very much for the pav bhaji recipe . How to prepare the garam masala powder used for that . Last time I prepared with the garam masala powder I had at home and it dint turn good( like the fast food shops) . My friends told that its good when we use pav bhaji masala .. please clarify me when you find time .

Please post the makkan peda recipe when you find time .
Thanks
PR

Mrs.Mano
20th July 2007, 12:22 AM
[tscii:3afb3326ed]Dear KPR!

Here is the recipe for ‘Vendhaya kanji’ which you have requested.

VENDHAYA KANJI:

Ingredients:

Par boiled rice- 1 cup
Green gram- half cup
Fenugreek seeds- 2 tbsp
Small garlic flakes- a ahndful
Coconut-1
salt to taste

Procedure:

Dry roast the green gram and the fenugreek seeds in a pan on slow fire until they are slightly fried. Wash the boiled rice along with the fried ingredients. Add 5 cups of water to it with enough salt and the garlic flakes also. Pressure cook them for 7 whistles. Take it out. Extract thick coconut milk from the coconut. Mash the kanji. Add the coconut milk to the kanji when it is still hot. Mix well.

[/tscii:3afb3326ed]

dev
20th July 2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Tried capscicum-peas pulav & it turned out to be very tasty... thanks a lot for the recipe... finally, I'm learning to make good briyanis/pulavs... courtesy: your recipes...:)

Mrs.Mano
21st July 2007, 11:05 PM
Dear Dev!

I am happy to know that you became successful in making a delicious capsicum peas pulau. Thanks a lot for the nice feedback!

Mrs.Mano
21st July 2007, 11:07 PM
[tscii:3eb70b9e3b]Dear Pr!

I have not yet tried the recipe’ makkan peda’ so far. Here is the link for it. You can try it.
http://members.fortunecity.com/bravi2000/sweets.htm

Some people add ‘pav baaji masala’ for an extra taste. Reduce the quantity of green chillies and you can add 2 or 3 tsp of pau baaji masala instead of garam masala. Here is the recipe for it.

PAU BAAJI MASALA:

INGREDIENTS:

Red chillies-25
Coriander seeds- 3 tbsp
Peppercorn- 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds-3 tbsp
Cinnamon- 3 tbsp
Cloves-3 tbsp
Black cardamom-3
Fennel seeds-2 tbsp

PROCEDURE:

Dry roast the spices in a pan until a nice aroma floats on the air. When they are cooled, pound them in to a fine powder.

Dear Dev!

I am happy to know that you became successful in making a delicious capsicum peas pulau. Thanks a lot for the nice feedback!
[/tscii:3eb70b9e3b]

sangeetha_me
22nd July 2007, 12:37 AM
Hi Mrs Mano

I have a doubt..i saw some recipes in your thread like potato Kola, Beetroot Kola etc. What exactly are they? Are they side dishes or snacks? I want to try them, so thought will ask you. Sorry abt my ignorance.

Thanks

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2007, 01:24 AM
Dear sangeetha!

These 'kola' varieties are fried items like cutlets. They can be served as a side dish with sambar and rice and also for pulao varieties. They look like gulab jamoons in shape. They can be eaten as snacks also!

sangeetha_me
22nd July 2007, 03:08 AM
Oh thank you Mrs Mano. Will try them out sometime during next week and will let you know.

Thanks for all your wonderful recipes. I tried your Microwave Carrot Halwa today and it turned out very yummy. So easy to make and so delicious !

suvai
22nd July 2007, 07:01 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Nalla irukeengalaa!!??
Is there any place where I can go & get all your recipes as a file to mail to myself to print & keep it. Because....your recipes rock & U rule....:-) congratssss & thank u so very much for all your kind efforts........kindly to let me know or even send me links so that i can print them all out set by set....or anyone who is reading this...& does have all of mrs mano's recipes...plzzzzz plzzzzz send them to me too.......my email id.........simples101@yahoo.com.........thank U in advance..........with much regards..........suvai!

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2007, 10:17 AM
Dear Sangeetha!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on 'Microwave carrot halwa'.

Mrs.Mano
22nd July 2007, 10:19 AM
Dear Suvai!

I have just tried to send the atatchment of my recipes to your email address but it returned back with a failure notice. Send me your email address to me and I will send the attachment to you.

dev
22nd July 2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano, can u please send the recipe file to -del- aswell... Thanks in advance...:)

pr
23rd July 2007, 08:34 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried the pav bhaji with the masala powder recipe u have posted . Needless to say it tasted great . Thanks very much .
Thank you very much for the makkan peda recipe too.
I tried ulunthu vadai according to your recipe and I got the shape very good for the first time . Texture , taste everything was very good . Am goin to follow this recipe for ulunthu vadai hereafter . Adding toordal for the vadai to drink less oil is a very good hint .

Could you please send me your recipe file to prethivasu@yahoo.com when you find time.
Thank you
Regards
Pr

pr
24th July 2007, 08:12 AM
Dear Dev
Tried the chola dosai with your method and it worked . Thanks a lot
Regards
Pr

Mrs.Mano
24th July 2007, 10:34 PM
Dear Dev!

I have tried to send you the atatchment of my recipes just now. But it returned back with a failure notice mentioning the email address was not correct.

Mrs.Mano
24th July 2007, 10:36 PM
Dear Pr!

Just now I Have sent the attachment of my recipes to you!

dev
25th July 2007, 07:45 AM
Dear Dev!

I have tried to send you the atatchment of my recipes just now. But it returned back with a failure notice mentioning the email address was not correct.

Oh... can u please try again send ing to -del-

dev
25th July 2007, 07:47 AM
Dear Dev
Tried the chola dosai with your method and it worked . Thanks a lot
Regards
Pr

my pleasure...:)

arrecipes
25th July 2007, 07:23 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Can u send me ur recipe document to my mail id. My id is arrecipes@yahoo.com.
Thanks in advance.

Mrs.Mano
26th July 2007, 12:41 AM
Dear Dev!

I think that your email address is a wrong one. From two of my email accounts, I have tried send the atatchment just now, but they bounced back with a message that the email address was incorrect.

Mrs.Mano
26th July 2007, 12:42 AM
Dear arrecipes!

I have sent the atatchment of my recipes just now to the email address you have mentioned. I hope you would have received.

dev
26th July 2007, 07:10 AM
Dear Dev!

I think that your email address is a wrong one. From two of my email accounts, I have tried send the atatchment just now, but they bounced back with a message that the email address was incorrect.

:roll: The IDs are the ones I'm using currently... I double checked for any spelling mistakes too... but...hmmm...not sure Y u got such a msg... anyway... I'll try sending a mail to you from my mail... Please try sending the files to tht id... Very sorry for the trouble...

pr
26th July 2007, 05:26 PM
Got the recipes Mrs Mano . Thanks a lot
Regards
Pr

arrecipes
27th July 2007, 12:05 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Received ur recipe file. Thanks for sending.

suvai
29th July 2007, 01:55 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
My apologies............my email id is..........simples101@yahoo.ca..........i had inadvertently typed "com" instead of "ca"...sorry!!.
Looking forward to having all of your recipes......:-)

Can you please post these recipes if you have it :

Thayir muruku..............& also..........this kuzhambu that is made out of water that u have washed the rice with.....i think in chettinad they make this kuzhambu....any idea what i am talking about??? thank u thank u...in advance for sending me yr recipes...& also the requested ones......ipadiku ............anubudan.....suvai....:-)

KPR
30th July 2007, 01:05 AM
Respected Mrs.Mano,
I tried your vendhaya kanji and it came out well as always.
Thanks a lot for the recipe.