PDA

View Full Version : Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies - Part 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

dev
26th May 2006, 03:38 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Could you pls post some recipes with bottlegourd other than the khulambu...

gayesh
30th May 2006, 02:29 AM
dear mrs.mano,
can u pls post the recipe for mutter paneer(with ingredients, for abt 25 people) and potato& channa korma?
Rgds,
gayesh

kavithasenthil
30th May 2006, 08:07 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Could you pls post some recipes with bottlegourd other than the khulambu...

dev,

try sub. chayoti squash with bottle guard in chayoti sqaush poriyal in envitu samayal blog. i remember u tried that poriyal with squash alredy.

Also u can make more kuzhambu with just bottle guard.
U can make thattai payaru kuzhambu with bottle guard/eggplant.Hope u know how to make thattai payaru kuzhambu.

dev
30th May 2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Kavitha... will try the poriyal & mor kulambu...

dev
31st May 2006, 08:12 AM
Kavitha,

made bottle gourd poriyal today & it turned out good... thanks for the tip...:)

kavithasenthil
31st May 2006, 09:51 PM
Kavitha,

made bottle gourd poriyal today & it turned out good... thanks for the tip...:)

u welcome dev.

Mrs.Mano
31st May 2006, 10:55 PM
Dear Dev!
Here I am posting a few recipes on suraikkai for you!

[b]BOTTLE GOURD BAJJI:

Ingredients:

Bottle gourd- half of a medium bottle gourd
Soda bi carbonate- a pinch
Onion-1
Green chillies-2
Shredded ginger- 1 sp
Plain flour- 1 cup
Corn flour- half cup
Hot oil- 2sp

Procedure:

Peel the outer skin of the bottle gourd and cut it like French fries. Add the soda bi carbonate with enough salt and mix well. Keep it covered for 30 minutes. Grind the onion with the green chillies and the ginger in to fine paste. Add this to the flours. Make a smooth thick batter by adding enough salt and the hot oil. Heat a pan and pour enough oil to fry. Squeeze out the water from the bottle gourd, then dip a few in the batter and toss them in hot oil. Fry them to a golden brown colour. Thus complete all the pieces.

SURAIKKAI PAAL KOOTU:

Ingredients:

Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Red chilllies-5
Black gram-1 tsp
Curry leaves
Coriander leaves
Bottle gourd-a small one
Shredded coconut- a handful
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
Thick milk- half cup
Enough salt
Oil- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil. When it becomes hot, add the mustards. When they splutter, add the black gram, red chillies, curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves and fry for a few minutes. Cut the bottle gourd in to small pieces and add them to the pan. Fry them for a few seconds. Extract thick milk from the coconut and add this to the bottle gourd with enough salt. Powder the fennel seeds and add it to the pan. When the vegetable is cooked well, add the milk and allow it to simmer for a few minutes until it is blended well with the vegetable.

Mrs.Mano
31st May 2006, 10:55 PM
Dear Gayesh!

I have already posted the recipes of Mutter paneer and kurma. Please check them with the previous recipes.

dev
1st June 2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks a lot, Mrs.Mano...:)

sangeetha_me
4th June 2006, 02:19 AM
Dear Mrs Mano..how are you doing? Can you please tell me how to make 'Mor Rasam'?

chamy
5th June 2006, 08:27 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
Thank u very much for coriander chutney recipe.I made it and it was delicious !Iam also planning to try many of ur recipes posted in arusuvai.com.Could u please post recipe for vangibhath and moar kuzhambhu ?Thanks in advance.
Regards foodlover.

Thattai
6th June 2006, 12:46 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano!

Hope that you are doing well.

Tried your fish marinade with pomfret. It was very good. Full of flavour and body. Also tried peerkangai kootu which also came out very well.

Have recently resumed eating chicken in our household (post the birdflu scare) and one of the first things we made was your chicken biryani, which needless to say, was exellent as always :)

Thanks,

Thattai

rubenniru
6th June 2006, 03:10 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano, Sarah here. How are you? Long since I logged on to Forum hub.

Looking for a good Mushroom fried rice recipe. Pls help.

I want the rice to be spiced before making the fried rice like they make in the hotels. The color is almost light whitish grey and they use that to make fried rice. I think they grind green chillies and onions and cook rice in that masala. Do you have any idea?

cynthia_a02
6th June 2006, 07:43 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
i tried ur surrakkai paal kootu.its very very nice.i like trying different varieties of poriyal and kootu.thanks for a nice receipe.bye.

Noodles
7th June 2006, 12:11 PM
yesterday I tried Suraikai Pal Kuttu.

It was really Yummy.

Thanks for ur recipes.

Thattai
7th June 2006, 01:43 PM
[tscii:200b1be482]Dear Mrs. Mano,

It was only while reading the old entries that I realized that you have asked me for a Maharashtrian recipe. I have been extremely lax in not responding to you earlier. :oops: Fortunately, I have a Maharashtrian cook, so was able to get details from her. Hope that this fits what you are looking for.

Meetha Chawal (Sweet Rice):
This is a speciality that is made during the occasion of Gudi Padwa which is like their New Year. There are no measurements. Everything is as per requirement.

Add milk to pre-cooked rice that has been mashed and cook further till really soft. Add grated gud and ghee (optional), and cook till it all comes together. Add grated coconut, elaichi powder, almond slivers and raisins. Should be of kheer-like consistency. Meetha Chawal is ready to serve either hot or cold!

Really sorry about the delayed response… hope it can fall into the ‘better late than never category’!! :)
[/tscii:200b1be482]

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 04:06 PM
thought of giving my input too :)...ZARDA is also a sweet rice dish, but hyderabadi...

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 04:12 PM
ZARDA

skinless almonds - 10, sliced finely
ghee - 1/2 cup
basmati rice - 250 gms
cinnamon - 1 stick
cardamoms - 5 nos
cloves - 6 nos.
raisins - a spoonful
sugar - 200 gms
saffron strands - 2 pinches
orange food colour - optional

1. fry almonds in ghee till golden and remove.
2. soak rice.
3. fry the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, saffron and raisins in ghee, add water double the amount of rice.
4. when water is boiling , add rice.
5. when 3/4th done,add sugar and when it dissolves, give 'dum' like biriyani.
6. before serving, sprinkle the fried almond slices on top.

Thattai
9th June 2006, 05:06 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Tried your Malabari Chicken Kuzhambu... it was very delicious, though a bit on the spicy side by my standards. My husband who loves spicy food loved it though.

When he had it he asked me what it was. I told him Mrs. M's MCK. HE was like MRs. M is great!! When I asked him why, he said that he stayed in KErala for a few years and the taste of ur MCK was exactly the same as the curry u get in the hotels there!!! :clap:

Also tried pizza idli this morning. THat was also quite good and made for a different tiffin in the morning... instead of ajwain powder i used crushed mixed italian herbs and also sprinkled some chilli flakes on top. Only thing was the idli was extremely soft and kind of collapsing... I couldn't figure out why that happened... :?

Thanks for sharing all these awesome recipes!

Thattai

Thattai
9th June 2006, 05:10 PM
Dear mrs MAno,

In the MAlabar kuzhambu mentioned above, u have mentioned both garlic flakes as well as garlic paste in the ingredients. Did not use flakes as they are not mentioned in the method. Is that ok?

Noodles
10th June 2006, 09:39 AM
Hi thattai,

Can u post the Malabar Chicken Kulambu recipe (Mrs. Mano's)

Mrs.Mano
10th June 2006, 05:00 PM
[tscii:89d04da41d]Dear Sangeetha!

As I have come to Tamilnadu urgently, I couldn’t post my reply

immediately. I regret for my delayed response.

Here I am posting the recipe for “Mor rasam' for you!

MOR RASAM:

Ingredients:

Thin buttermilk- 2 cups
Cumin seeds- 1/2tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Gingelly oil- 2 tsp

Fry the following ingredients to a golden brown colour and powder them finely:

1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, red chilli-1, asafoetida- a pea size, coriander seeds- 1/2tsp, lentils- 1/2 tsp
salt to taste

Procedure:

Add the turmeric powder, salt and the fried powder to the butter milk and mix well. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the cumin seeds and when they splutter add the buttermilk. When the butter milk starts to simmer, put off the fire. Mix well.
[/tscii:89d04da41d]

Mrs.Mano
10th June 2006, 05:15 PM
[tscii:55b53ab7b1]Dear Cynthiya and Noodles!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on “surraikkai pal kootu”.
[/tscii:55b53ab7b1]

Mrs.Mano
10th June 2006, 05:25 PM
[tscii:2733b6930f]DearAyesha!

Thanks for the ‘Zarda’ recipe. I have already seen this recipe in your thread! The rice I have mentioned is a sweet-yellow coloured rice which contains the above-mentioned ingredients.
Any how, I wish to point out one thing. If you add the rice in the sugar syrup to cook, the rice will not be cooked properly. The sugar must be added after the rice is fully cooked. That is why, in Sarkkarai pongal, jaggery is added after the rice is cooked fully well.

[/tscii:2733b6930f]

Mrs.Mano
10th June 2006, 05:41 PM
[tscii:39038996a8]Dear Thattai!

Thank you very much for the feedback on fish marinade and Malabar chicken kuzhmbu.
The sweet rice recipe which I have previously mentioned does not taste like Sarkkarai pongal. It will not contain jaggery. It will look like a pulav and have cloves, cardamom, raisins and sugar. I am searching for this recipe for a long time!
If you post the recipe of “malabar chicken kuzhambu” here, it will be easy for me to post my explanation here about the garlic flakes. I am not having that recipe with me now.
[/tscii:39038996a8]

Mrs.Mano
10th June 2006, 06:16 PM
Dear Chamy!

Thank you very much for the feedback on coriander chutney. I am posting tasty recipes in Arusuvai.com also. I will soon post the recipes of "vanghi bath and mor kuzhambu". for you!

ayeshasadique
10th June 2006, 06:27 PM
thnx Mrs. Mano for pointing it out ....i will edit it :)

pr
11th June 2006, 10:35 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
I tried your ragi dosai and no wonder it turned excellent . It got so much appreciation and all the credit goes to you .
Thank u very much for posting this recipe
Regards
Pr

Nichiro
11th June 2006, 08:23 PM
Dear Madam,

I think time has come for you to bring out a detailed cokkery book in Tamiz and English.
I am seeing really hopeless recipes and methods printed in English and American continent are doing a dis service to fine art of cookery.
Please consider my request.

Nichiro

sangeetha_me
11th June 2006, 10:44 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano. I tried out the Mor rasam..it was excellent. I didnt know something so simple could turn out so tasty ! Thanks for the recipe.

Can u tell me how to make 'Poricha rasam'?

Thattai
12th June 2006, 03:02 PM
[tscii:4ca2043226]Dear Mrs. Mano & Noodles,

I have posted below the recipe as requested.... Mrs. Mano, looking forwrd to your clarification. Also, was told of another recipe for sweet rice which may fit your requirements... will post it once I get the details right.

CHICKEN KUZHAMBU-II: (Malabar Chicken Kuzhambu)
[This is a dish from kerala and will be delicious with rice, and aappaam varieties.]
Ingredients:
Red chillies-15
Coriander seeds-2tbsp
Peppercorns-1sp
Cumin seeds-1/2sp
Cardamom-4
Crushed Cinnamon-1sp
Cloves-4
Fennel seeds-2sp
Chilli powder-2sp
Bay leaves-2
Chopped small onion-1 cup
Chopped tomatoes-3/4 cup
Shredded coconut-2 handfuls
Garlic flakes-8
Ginger and garlic paste-2tbsp
Curry leaves-a handful
Enough oil
Salt to taste ; Chicken – 1kg
Method:
Heat a kadai and pour enough oil to fry. When the oil becomes hot add half of the chopped onions and fry to a golden brown colour. Then add add the shredded coconut and fry it to a gold colour. the add all the spices one by one and fry well. Then add the powders and fry for a few minutes. Grind this to a fine paste. Again heat a big akdai and pour enough oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the remaining onions and fry for a few seconds. Then add the pastes and the tomatoes. Fry them until they are all well cooked. Add the ground paste with the chicken pieces , enough water and salt and the curry leaves. Let the kuzhambu simmer until the chicken is well cooked and the required thickness is obtained.

Thanks,

Thattai[/tscii:4ca2043226]

anuu
14th June 2006, 12:09 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing fine.Thanks a lot for ur wheat apppam recipe.I tried out and it came out very well .Your tips for the uppuma was so useful and now my uppuma comes out very well.Thanks for that one too.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply to ur post immmediately cos for the past 2 weeks I was down with flu.I'm yet to try anything new from ur recent posts guess once I feel a little better I will try.

Could u please post the recipe for kuzh?My husband says its made with ragi and buttermilk but I have no clue.I have never had the oppurtunity to taste it but I have always heard about it in the month of adi when a lot of people present it as an offering to Goddess Amman.I guess I haven't mixed up,Pardon me if both are different.
Thanks a lot for ur time. :)

cynthia_a02
15th June 2006, 06:46 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I tried the kathirikai-potato kothsu with dosai yesterday night.its really very very nice.i have no words to express my feelings.its a very very superb side dish for hot dosai.ungaloda entha receipeyum ithuvarai nalla illama anathey illai.thanks a lot Mrs.Mano.since i don't have coconut i searched and found this kothsu.its really awesome.thanks a lot Mrs.Mano.Next time i'll try it with pongal.thanks a lot Mrs.Mano.Keep up ur great work.

minir
16th June 2006, 01:33 AM
Dear Mano madam,

I read the Mor rasam recipe but couldn't understand what lentils meant?Could you tell me what did you mean by lentil?
Eagerly waiting for your reply to try it out..
Thanks,
Min

sangeetha_me
16th June 2006, 08:13 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano..there is one dish i love.."Thavalai Vadai ". Can you gove me the recipe for it?

And Mini..lentils mean Thuvaram Paruppu.

grapes
17th June 2006, 03:34 AM
dear mrs mano,
thanks a lot to ur receipes i am one of the members who have tried ur receipes & have had great success i should say ur pepper kulambu is great i ve tried ur chicken receipes too they r wonderful the chutney receipes r easy & good thanks to u & the great job ur doing.
when time permits could u post the receipe on how to make aloo bujiya i think its a north indian snack it looks like r oma pudi.
thanks.

vijikr
17th June 2006, 08:58 PM
Hi,

This site is cool and i ahve tried many recipes from here especially Mrs.Mano's kodoos to her for her dedication and super recipe

Viji

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2006, 03:08 PM
[tscii:f8e783260c]Dear foodlover!

Here I am posting the recipes of ‘Morkuzhambu’ and ‘Vanghi bath’ for you!

VANGHI BATH [BRINJAL RICE]:

Ingredients:

Small fresh brinjals[diced]-6
Rice cooked with salt- 4 to 5 cups
Tamarind- a small lime size
Sliced onion-1 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Shredded coconut-1 cup
Bengal gram- 1 tsp
Black gram-1 tp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida-a marble size
Red chillies-3 to 5
Coriander seeds-2 tsp
Cinnamon- 1 piece
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Enough oil and salt

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in enough water for 1 hour and then extract its juice. Fry the Bengal gram, black gram, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida, coriander seeds and the red chillies in a little oil and then powder them finely. Fry the coconut in the ghee to a golden brown colour. Heat a kadai and pour 3 tbsp of oil. Add he mustard seeds and when they splutter add the onion and fry them till they become golden brown. Add the brinjals with the turmeric powder and fry for a few minutes. Then add the tamarind juice with enough salt. When the gravy is thickened, add the fried powder and mix well. Let it cook for a few minutes. Add this to the rice along with the curry leaves and the fried coconut. Mix well.

MORKUZHAMBU:

Ingredients:

This recipe is my favourite which always receives appreciation from my guests. I have already posted this recipe. But I am again posting this with a few alterations.

Ingredients:

Fresh curd- 2 cups
Slightly sour curd- 1/2 cup
Extra curd-1 cup
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Lentils[thuar dal]- 1 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Green chillies-7
Shredded ginger-1/2 tsp
Chopped tomato-2 cups
Red chillies-4
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Asafoetida- a pea size
Ladies finger- 250 gram
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
coriander leaves- 1/2 cup
Curry leaves- a handful
Enough oil

Procedure;

Soak the lentils in water for 1/2 hour. Cut the vegetable in to small pieces and then fry them in a dry pan until their colour slightly changes. Take them away. In little oil fry the fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, and the black gram until they changes into light brown. Then add the lentils and fry for a few seconds. Then fry the green chillies for a few seconds. Then add the coconut with the ginger and fry for a few minutes until they become slightly brown. Then grind them coarsely with the sour curd. Add the remaining curd and mix well. Heat a pan and add 3 tbsp of oil. Add the mustards and when they splutter add the tomato with the turmeric powder, asafoetida and the red chillies.

Fry well on slow fire until the oil floats on top and the tomatoes are mashed. Add the vegetable with a little salt and ¼ cup of water. Cook them till the vegetable is cooked and the gravy is thickened. Add th greens and fry for a few seconds. Now add the prepared morkuzhambu gravy with enough salt. when the morkuzhambu starts to simmer add the extra fresh curd, mix well and put off the fire.

[/tscii:f8e783260c]

chamy
21st June 2006, 07:17 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano !
Thank u very much for posting vangibhath and mor kuzhambhu recipes.i will try it this weekend and give u the feedback which of course will be very good.I tried bisibelebhath and it came out very good.Thanks once again.
Regards foodlover.

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2006, 09:43 PM
[tscii:98a43d5000]Dear Neeru!

I regret for my delayed response. How are you? I couldn’t open my laptop frequently as I am now touring Tamilnadu on some urgent business. Here I am posting a different recipe of Mushroom fried rice for you!
Hope this will satisfy you!

MUSHROOM FRIED RICE:

Ingredients:

Shredded carrot-1
Diced onion-1
Cauliflower florets-1/2 cup
Chopped tomato-1 cup
Garlic flakes-6
Shredded ginger- 1 sp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Briyanai rice- 2 cups
Button mushroom-2 cups
Sliced onion- 1 cup
Thinly sliced capsicum- 1/2 cup
Chopped spring onion-1 cup
Slit green chillies-5
Aginomoto-1/2 tsp
Soya sauce- 2 tsp
Chilli sauce- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Enough oil

Procedure:

Put the first seven ingredients in a pressure pan with 3 cups of water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Drain out the vegetable soup. Cook the rice in this water with enough salt. Heat a pan and pour 3 to 4 tbsp of oil. Add the onion with the green chillies. Then add the capsicum with the mushrooms, the spring onions and a little salt. Fry for some minutes until everything is well blended and cooked. Add the cooked rice. Sprinkle the sauces and the ajinomoto. Mix well on slow fire for a few seconds. As the rice is cooked in a vegetable soup, the taste will be very different. Hope you will get the desired effect in this way.

[/tscii:98a43d5000]

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2006, 09:44 PM
[tscii:256b68d1e0]Dear Thattai!

In ‘Malabar chicken kuzhambu’, I forgot to mention about the usage of
garlic flakes in the procedure. You must fry them with the onion and the tomatoes. It is just to add an additional flavour. That is all.

[/tscii:256b68d1e0]

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2006, 09:46 PM
[tscii:efc146a538]Dear Pr!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on ‘Ragi dosai’!

[/tscii:efc146a538]

Mrs.Mano
21st June 2006, 09:47 PM
Dear Nichiro!

Thank you very much for yr suggestion. I will think about it.

sangeetha_me
21st June 2006, 10:49 PM
Dear Mrs Mano..recipe for Poricha rasam and Thavalai vadai..u forgot to include these two... :(

anuu
22nd June 2006, 02:02 AM
Hello mrs.mano,

Hope ur doing fine.I tried ur ladys finger chutney and surrakai paal kootu.Both came out very well.Thanks a lot.Keep up ur great work!!!
I had infact posted a message to u sometime back also but guess u didn't notice but i understood from ur messages that ur in tamilnadu.Its always nice to be back home.Have a great trip!!!

Thattai
22nd June 2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the clarification mrs. Mano.

Mrs.Mano
23rd June 2006, 11:11 PM
[tscii:b9879ace1c]Dear Sangeetha!

I did not forget yr request for the recipes of ‘porichq rqsam’ and ‘thavalai vadai’. It took a little more time to post the recipes you have required because I am touring around Tamilnadu now.

Here are the recipes for ‘Poricha rasam’ and ‘Thavalai vadai’ for you!

PORICHA RASAM:

Ingredients:

Lentils- 1/4 cup
Green gram-1/4 cup
Chopped tomato- 1 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander- 1/4 cup piece
Salt to taste
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Asafoetida- a marble size

Fry the following ingredients in a little oil to golden brown and powder them coarsely:

Black gram-1 tsp, cumin seeds- 1 tsp, peppercorns- 1 tsp, Bengal gram- 1 tsp, red chilli- 1, shredded coconut-1/4 cup

Procedure:

Cook the dals. Add 4 to 5 cups of water to it. Add the fried powder, and all the ingredients to it except the mustard seeds and the asafoetida. Simmer it for
2 minutes. Heat a pan and pour the ghee. Add the mustards and the asafoetida. When the mustards splutter add this to the rasam.

THAVALAI VADAI:

There are a few varieties on ‘Thavalai vadai’. This is my favourite.

Ingredients:

Lentils- 1 cup
Black gram-1 cup
Bengal gram- 1 cup
Raw rice- 1/2 cup
Par boiled rice- 1/2 cup
Green gram- 1.21/2cup
Sag0- 1/2 cup
Chopped coconut-1 cup
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Peppercorns- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Red chillies-6
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil- 2 tbsp

Procedure:

Soak the rice varieties and other dal varieties separately in enough water for 2 hours. Grind all the ingredients with the red chillies and enough salt to a thick dough. Add the coconut, and the curry leaves. Heat a small pan and pour the gingelly oil. Add the mustard seeds and the peppercorns. When they splutter add this to the vadai dough. Mix well. Take a big ball, flatten it, make a hole in the centre and fry it in the hot oil to golden brown colour. Thus finish all the dough.

[/tscii:b9879ace1c]

sangeetha_me
24th June 2006, 10:56 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano..oh sorry.. i thought u missed my msgs..

Thanks a ton for the recipes. Will try them out sometime during this week.

Have a great trip !

dsath
2nd July 2006, 02:34 AM
[tscii:89bb00a487]Dear Mrs. Mano & Noodles,

CHICKEN KUZHAMBU-II: (Malabar Chicken Kuzhambu)
[This is a dish from kerala and will be delicious with rice, and aappaam varieties.]
[/tscii:89bb00a487]
Tried the Kuzhambu and came out very well. I toned down the red chilles and powder. It was very nice. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Cheers
dsath.

Mrs.Mano
3rd July 2006, 11:14 AM
[tscii:83019a1074]Dear Anuu!

I regret for the delayed reply. I have kept yr query in my file. But I couldn’t reply immediately as I was touring in Tamilnadu. Now I have returned back to my residence.
I am glad that you were successful with wheat appam, lady’s finger chutney, suraikkai paal kootu and uppuma. Here is the procedure of making Ragi koozh for you!

RAGI KOOZH:

The koozh of ragi is prepared out of ragi flour. Soak 1/2 kilo of ragi in water for more than 10 hours. After draining the water, wash 3 or 4 times the ragi with lots of water. Then drain the water completely. Prepare ragi sprouts either by using a sprout maker or tying the soaked ragi in a white cloth for 24 hours. Then dry the sprouted ragi on a white cloth for some hours. Then roast them in a dry pan for a few minutes. After it is cooled down, grind them to fine flour. Sieve it twice. This is the prepared flour to use for khoozh, adai, dosai etc.

Take a cup of water and warm it. Add 1 tsp of this ragi flour and mix well without any lumps. Place it on fire and allow it to simmer for a few minutes. You can drink it either by adding thick butter milk with salt or by adding milk with sugar.[/tscii:83019a1074]

Mrs.Mano
3rd July 2006, 11:20 AM
[tscii:7f538d6f1c]Dear Grapes!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback as well as the compliments.

I have tasted the ‘Aloo Bhujiya” a few months back. But I had never enough time to test its recipe. Here is the link for its recipe!

http://www.ndtvcooks.com/recipes/snackrecipe.asp?id=262

[/tscii:7f538d6f1c]

grapes
5th July 2006, 06:45 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thanks for the link u have sent. The recipe does seem easy, but the recipe asks for 1tsp citric acid or 1tsp tartri i do not have either is there any other substitute for these ingredients. I was thinking if i could use baking soda or baking pdw. instead if so could u give me a proportions of how much i can add. or is it just best to get either of these ingredients.
Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

anuu
6th July 2006, 01:26 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano

Hope ur doing well and I hope ur trip was great.Thank u soo much for posting me the recipe for koozh.I was not able to get ragi in the indian stores near my house but I was able to find ragi flour so I tried out the koozh with the readymade flour.I liked it a lot.I tried it with buttermilk as well as with milk.I seemed to like it both ways.Thank u soo much.

I also tried ur poricha rasam and thavalai vadai.It was so tasty.In the span of 4 days I made vadai twice.I have taken such extreme liking for it.I'm making it a point to try atleast one recipe of urs every day.Almost all of ur chutneys,most of ur kuzhambhu varities I have tried and we have found everything tasty.Everything seems to be wonderful.I think I agree with our fellow hubber nichiro that u should consider coming out with a cookbook.Ur recipes are a boon for people like me who are newly married and with very little knowledge of cooking.

Mam I infact want to try ur appam(breakfast)recipe but the problem is I dont know if we need any specific patharam to do it.I do have a copperbottom kadai do u think I will be able to do appams in the kadai?Thanks in advance for ur reply.Keep up ur great work!!!

anuu
6th July 2006, 09:35 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I forgot to mention one more request it would be great if u could even mention the method of preparing appams cos I tried it once before and I thought we had to make it like dosas and I made it in the dosai tawa.It didn't come out like how I've seen it in hotels.I was told by one friend that u need some vessel to make it.Thanks for ur reply in advance!!!!

sangeetha_me
7th July 2006, 08:38 PM
Dear Mrs Mano..i tried the thavalai vadi yesterday..it was super !And i tired the poricha rasam too..it is exactly like how my grandmom makes it. My husband simply loved it. Thanks so much for the recipes.

dsankaran
9th July 2006, 12:08 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I tried Poricha rasam (minus coconut), Suraikkai Paal kootu and Mushroom Masala today. Everything turned out tasty. My husband usually doesn't care much for rasam and sambar - but he noticed the different taste of rasam and appreciated it a lot.

Thanks

Mrs.Mano
9th July 2006, 09:22 PM
Dear Grapes!

There is no need to add citric acid. Try the following method for Aloo Bhujiya:

ALOO BHUJIYA:

Ingredients:

Cooked and mashed potato-4 cups
Math gram flour[matki ki flour]- 2 cups
Gram flour- 1 cup
Chilli pr- 1 tsp
Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
Chat masala- 1/2 tsp
Dry ginger pr- 1/2 tsp
Asafotida pr- 1 tsp
Enough salt and oil

Procedure:

Mix well all the ingredients with enough salt and water to make a smooth dough. Fill in the murukku press using the sev blade and press the dough into hot oil. Thus prepare all the dough.

Mrs.Mano
9th July 2006, 09:25 PM
Dear Annu!

It is good to know that you have tried the ragi khoozh with the readymade powder. Even you can fry a little onion, cumin seeds and tomato in a tsp of oil and add this to the ragi khoozh with fresh curd. This will enhance the taste.

Thanks a lot for yr feedback on poricha rasam and thavalai vadai. I really appreciate yr interest and enthusiasm in trying new recipes in a successful way. Keep it up.

About the cook book- I really do not have enough time for it. Other than writing and posting recipes I have involved in so many works. Besides I have to fly often to Tamilnadu. 24 hours are not enough for me.

For Aappam, I have posted a few recipes previously. All the methods are easy to follow and try. But you should not use copper-bottomed pan for it. The batter will stick in it. A deep-curved iron pan is used for making aapams usually. You can use a little curved dosaikkal for it. Spread the batter quickly so that the center of the appam is thicker and the outer curve is very thinner. The fire must be medium to low. You must cover it with a lid. It needs a little practice. That is all! I am also using this type of dosaikkal instead of a deeply-curved iron pan.

Mrs.Mano
9th July 2006, 09:27 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on poricha rasam and thavalai vadai. I am glad to know that yr husband appreciated it.

huldaashok
10th July 2006, 10:21 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Thanks for the Bisi Bele Bath recipe. It turned out very well.

Thanks,
Hulda

grapes
10th July 2006, 10:59 PM
dear mrs mano,
thanks a lot for taking the trouble of getting me the receipe for aloo bhujiya, i will surely try out the receipe & give my feedback thanks a lot mam.

sangeetha_me
12th July 2006, 01:25 AM
Dear Mrs Mano..i want to try out Aloo Bhujiya..in the list of ingredients u have mentioned "Math gram flour[matki ki flour]". What is that?

anuu
13th July 2006, 02:22 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thank u so much for ur reply.I have made the aappam batter and tried it in the dosai kal and initially it wasn't coming out well.Towards the end it slowly started coming well.I guess like u say I will need more practice.I'm confident that soon enough the more often I make it ,I should be able to get a hold of it.

I do understand that u need a lot of time to write and publish books.It was just a suggestion, I hope u didn't mistake.I feel ur recipes have helped me cook with confidence and my enthusiasm to try new recipes has also improved.Thank u soo much I really appreciate ur time and kindness to patiently guide us with our cooking.

dev
13th July 2006, 07:21 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano, Could you please post a few pickle recipes... esp, mango pickle,lemon pickle,garlic pickle,onion pickle,mix veg piclke etc...

yosh
13th July 2006, 02:11 PM
Hi,
can anyone give me some idea to make instant
thaiyru.

dev
13th July 2006, 02:53 PM
Hi,
can anyone give me some idea to make instant
thaiyru.

Instant thayir-aa?... yosh, ith niyayama???!!!.... enaku therinju thayir seiyanumna atlest 3.5- 4 hrs aagum... ie, heat milk in a microwave until warm...mix in some curds...stir well... cover with a lid & keep it back in the microwave(when it's still warm inside the oven) & keep the oven door closed... It'll be set in 4 hrs during warm weather... athu vida instant-aa venumna, visit ur nearest departmental store... :wink: 8-)

yosh
14th July 2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks Dev,

Enode area kidaikke rombe kasthama irekke.
Athan keten.

dev
14th July 2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks Dev,

Enode area kidaikke rombe kasthama irekke.
Athan keten.

oh... I C... appo ithu try panni paarunga...

deepali128
17th July 2006, 09:08 PM
hello,

i tried bisibele bhat in a South indian restaurant it was amazing. i am not from south so i don't know the recipe. i couldn't find the recipe on the thread either. can anyone post it again.
thanks in advance

Deepali

Mrs.Mano
18th July 2006, 12:28 AM
Dear dsankaran!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on poricha rasam, suraikkai pal kootu and mushroom masala.
Among all the rasam varieties, I think that jeeraka arsam is the best and tastiest. You can try it.

Mrs.Mano
18th July 2006, 12:28 AM
[tscii:87da950f74]Dear Huldaashoke!

Thank you very much for the feedback on ‘Bisi bele bath’.

[/tscii:87da950f74]

Mrs.Mano
18th July 2006, 12:29 AM
[tscii:5f345d35d1]Dear Sangeetha!

This math gram is in pale yellow colour and looks exactly like our ‘karamani paruppu’.
[/tscii:5f345d35d1]

Mrs.Mano
18th July 2006, 12:29 AM
[tscii:f266ce16a3]Dear Anuu!

I am happy that you have tried the aappam with success. With due practice, you can excel in making spongy aappams. There are so many varieties in aappam. So you can try each and every recipe.

And thanks a lot for the compliments. I didn’t misunderstand on your suggestions. In fact I thank you with all my heart for yr concern on me.

[/tscii:f266ce16a3]

Mrs.Mano
18th July 2006, 12:34 AM
[tscii:9444925039]Dear Dev!

Here I am posting a few pickle recipes for you. Again I will continue posting more pickle recipes.

MANGO THOKKU:

Ingredients:

Raw mangoes- 6[for this ottu mangoes or oorukai mangoes are suitable]
Gingelly oil- 400gm to 1/2 liter
Chilli powder- 8 to 10 tbsps according to the taste
Turmeric powder- 1 full tsp
Jaggery- 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 2 tsp
Asafotida- 2 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Remove the outer skins of all the mangoes and slice them very thinly into ½ inch pieces. Heat a big pan and roast the fenugreek seeds in a ½ tsp of oil to a golden brown colour. Then remove them away and pour half of the oil in the pan. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the mangoes with the asafotida powder and fry them on slow fire. Add the turmeric powder. When the mango pieces are mashed and cooked add the chilli powder. Cook again for some minutes. Then add the salt and the jaggery. Add the remaining oil gradually. Finally add the fried fenugreek powder. Mix well. Cook for a few minutes until every thing is combined well.

VENGKAYA THOKKU [ONION THOKKU]

Ingredients:

Small onions- 1 cup [grind coarsely without adding water]
Gingelly oil- 1/2 cup
Tamarind- a small lime size
Chilli powder- 1 to 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Fried fenugreek powder- 1 tsp
asafoetida powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for an hour and then extract its thick juice. Heat a pan and add the gingelly oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the onion with the turmeric powder. Fry it on slow fire until it is cooked well. Add the tamarind extract and mix well. Cook it until the thokku is thickened. Now add the chilli powder, fenugreek powder, asafoetida powder and the salt. Cook on slow fire until the thokku is turned into a dark red colour and the oil floats on top.

[/tscii:9444925039]

dev
22nd July 2006, 12:54 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
Thanks a lot for the recipes... Will give them a try once I'm back in SG...

Mrs.Mano
27th July 2006, 12:22 AM
Dear Dev!

Here I am posting a few more pickle recipes for you!

SWEET LIME PICKLE:

Ingredients:

Limes- 12
Green chillies[slit]-6
Garlic [whole] pod-1
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Asafotida powder- 1tsp
Vinegar- 1 tbsp
Sugar- 2 tsp
Gingelly oil- 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Chilli powder- 2 to 3 tbsp

Procedure:

Slice the limes into required pieces. Add the green chilles with enough salt and mix well. Keep them in the sun light for 5 days. On the 5th day, heat a pan and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the garlic flakes and fry them on slow fire slightly. Add the chilli powder and the turmeric powder. Put off the fire and add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Add this mixture to the pickle and let it soak in the mixture for a few days before using it.

TOMATO PICKLE:

Ingredients:

Big tomatoes- 4
Garlic flakes-4
Tamarind- a gooseberry size
Red chillies-6
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Asafetida powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves- 2 arc
Gingelly oil- 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Grind the tomatoes with the tamarind, red chillies and the turmeric powder to a paste without adding enough water. Heat a pan and add the oil. When it becomes hot, add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the garlic flakes with the asafetida powder and the curry leaves. Fry them on slow fire for a few seconds. Add the paste with enough salt. Fry it for some minutes until it is thickened, changes into a thick red colour and the oil floats on the surface. Add the fenugreek powder and cook for a few more seconds.

sangeetha_me
29th July 2006, 03:35 AM
Dear Mrs Mano..how ro make "Araithu vitta sambhar"? And for Keerai..if u want to arachu vittufy..what all should u grind?

Mrs.Mano
4th August 2006, 12:52 AM
[tscii:9e946292a0]Dear Sangeetha!

I have already posted the recipe for ‘Araiththu vitta sambar’. Please check up with my previous recipes. I couldn’t understand yr query which appeared in the next line.
[/tscii:9e946292a0]

Mrs.Mano
4th August 2006, 12:55 AM
Here I am posting a few new recipes!

GREEN GRAM SOUP:

Ingredients:

Green gram- 1/2 cup[cooked]
Turmeric powder- 1/2 sp
Crushed tomato- 1 cup
Chopped small onions- 5
Chopped coriander leaves-4 tbsp
Chopped mint leaves- 2 tbsp
Enough salt
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Oil-2 tsp
Juice of a lime

Grind the following ingredients coarsely:

Cinnamon-1 piece, red chilli-1, green chilli-1, fennel seeds-1 tsp, cumin seeds- half tsp, peppercorns- half tsp, shredded ginger-1sp, garlic flakes-5[small]

Procedure:

Heat a pan and pour the oil and the ghee. When they become hot, add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes. Then add the ground masala and fry well. Then add the tomato with the turmeric powder and fry until the tomatoes are mashed well. Now add the cooked gram, greens, salt, and 4 to 5 cups of water. Allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes and then put off the fire. Add the lemon juice and mix well.

TAMARIND ADAI:

Ingredients:

Boiled rice- 31/2 cups
Tamarind- a lime size
Shredded coconut- 11/2 cups
Asafotida powder- 1 tsp
Shredded jaggery- half cup
Red chillies-7
Bengal gram- a handful
Curry leaves- a handful
Enough salt

Procedure:

Soak the Bengal gram in enough water. Soak the boiled rice in hot water for an hour. Then grind the rice with enough salt, tamarind, coconut, jaggery and the red chillies to a slightly coarse batter. Add the soaked Bengal gram and the curry leaves. Prepare adai in a hot griddle.

huldaashok
7th August 2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

I am very regular reader of this thread. I am finding many new recipes when going through the posts. It would be good if we can have an index page like we had in 2005 so we can keep track of all new recipes. If it involves a lot of work, It's OK to leave as is.

Thanks,
Hulda

Newyorker
11th August 2006, 03:51 AM
I am looking for the receipe for Chettinad adai. This one is not coarse like adai but fine, looks like dosa with an intense brownish tinge. The side dish for this is usually Chettinad style onion chutney(if you know, please post it too) and milagai podi. Ms mano can you please help me

Mrs.Mano
12th August 2006, 10:59 PM
Dear Newyorker!

Here is the recipe for Chettinadu adai for you!

CHETTI NADU ADAI DOSAI:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 1/2 cup
Par boiled rice- 1/2 cup
Black gram- 1/2 cup
Lentils[ thuar dal]- 1/2 cup
Bengal gram- 1/2 cup
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Fennel powder- 1 tsp
Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Small onions- 1 cup[chopped finely]
Finely chopped tomato- 1/2 cup
Asafotida pr- 1 tsp
Curry leaves, coriander leaves
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the dals and the rice varieties separately in enough water for 3 hours. Grind the rice varieties smoothly. Grind the dals coarsely. Mix together and add all the ingredients to them. Mix well. Make thin adai Dosais.

Mrs.Mano
12th August 2006, 11:00 PM
Dear Hulda asoke!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I hope that the moderators will do the index page of recipes soon

Newyorker
14th August 2006, 09:05 PM
Thank You Ms. Mano. How about the Chettinad Onion Chutney

anuu
18th August 2006, 05:50 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

Hope ur doing great.Im sorry for my late reply to ur message to me.I had an sudden loss in my family.My grandfather passed away and I was mourning his loss.Hence I was unable to come online.
Im only now trying to get in terms with it.

I tried out a lot of dishes sometime back and I had written it down to tell u but couldn't come online for almost a month.I tried ur keerai pongal,kathirikkai and potato kosthu,vadai kari,karamani kara kuzhambu,gulab jamun,palak paneer,cashewnut payasam,almond burfi,mysore rasam and veg pulao and i made thavalai vadai twice again : )

Thank u soo much for sharing ur recipes with us.Mam I would like u to tell me how to make kadalai parrupu payasam.As I keep fast for Goddess Santhoshi matha I heard that its one of the neivedhiyam.Thanks for the recipe in advance.

rks
22nd August 2006, 11:52 AM
Hello Mrs Mano,
you posted a recipe on Tomato Oothappam some time ago (in the earlier thread) which I have pasted below.

Can you please advise what you exactly mean by "lentils" and "bengal gram". I assumed lentils is thuravam varuppu and bengal gram is muzhu ulundhu. Is this correct? I know there are multiple variations so wanted to be sure.
Thank you.

TOMATO OOTHTHAPPAM:

Ingredients:

Boiled rice-1 1/2 cups
Raw rice- 1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
Lentils- 2 tbsp
Bengal gram- 1 tsp
Tomato [chopped] - 1 cup
Tamarind- a lime size
Red chillies- 5
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the rice varieties with the fenugreek seeds and the lentils in enough water for 4 hours. Then grind them to a fine batter with the tomatoes, red chillies and tamarind. Add enough salt and allow the batter to ferment for 5 hours. Now you can make ooththappams as usual. You can add finely chopped onion[ 1 cup] as optional.

kavim10
23rd August 2006, 03:44 AM
Bengal gram is kadalai paruppu

kavim10
23rd August 2006, 03:58 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
I tried ur Ennai kathirikkai curry, it was an instant hit. Thanks a lot. Can u please post a recipe for "Masala Peanut".
Thanks a lot.

cynthia_a02
23rd August 2006, 08:13 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I tried ur Soya vegetable masala.Its a great hit in my family.Ennaku soya chunks vachu enna seyyanae theriyama pathappa i got this receipe.its really nice.I thought garlic rawa pottu araikirathunala we'll get some raw smellnu.but not like that.its a diff kurma.thanks a lot Mam.

Mrs.Mano
25th August 2006, 11:34 AM
[tscii:f63b984671]Dear Anuu!

Yr grandfather’s death is a great loss. I am sorry about it. I hope you would have recovered from it by now.
As I am in Tamilnadu now[Thanjavur] searching a suitable bride for my son, It takes a little more time to reply for the queries posted here. I really regret for my delayed response.
I am delighted to know that you are trying so many recipes of mine with great success. Here is the recipe of ‘Kadalaipparuppu payasam’ which you have required.

KADALAIPARUPPU PAYASAM:

Ingredients:

Kadalaipparuppu- 1 cup
Jaggery- 2 cups
Cardamom powder- half sp
Saffron-a pinch
Thick milk- 2 cups
Thick coconut milk- 1 cup
Cashew nuts fried in ghee- 2 tbsp
Raisins fried in ghee- 2 tbsp
Coconut chunks[thengkai pallu]fried in ghee- 2 tbsp
Salt- a pinch

Procedure:

Soak the saffron in hot milk for half an hour. Cook the Bengal gram to a soft texture in enough water and then drain the unwanted water completely. Prepare jaggery syrup with one thread consistency [kambi paagu]. Pour this to the cooked-coarsely mashed Bengal gram with the milk, a cup of warm water and the salt. Cook for some time until every thing is well combined. Add the raisins, cashew nuts and the coconuts. Lastly add the coconut milk and the cardamom powder. Mix well and cook for a few minutes on slow fire.
[/tscii:f63b984671]

Mrs.Mano
25th August 2006, 11:49 AM
[tscii:5e512b2b3d]Hello rks!

‘Lentils’ is ‘Thuar dal[thuvaramparuppu] and Bengal gram is Channa dal[kadalaipparuppu].
[/tscii:5e512b2b3d]

Mrs.Mano
25th August 2006, 11:50 AM
[tscii:2ea3a20cd1]Hello rks!

‘Lentils’ is ‘Thuar dal[thuvaramparuppu] and Bengal gram is Channa dal[kadalaipparuppu].
[/tscii:2ea3a20cd1]

Mrs.Mano
25th August 2006, 11:08 PM
[tscii:bcbb67ae81]Dear Kavim10!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on ‘Ennai katharikkai curry’. Here is the recipe for’Masala peanuts’.

MASALA PEANUTS:

Ingredients:

Peanuts- 1 cup
Gram flour- 1 cup
Rice flour- half cup
Soda bi carbonate- quarter spoon
Chilli powder-1 tsp
Asafoetida powder- 1 tsp
Coarse Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves- a handful
Oil to fry

Procedure:

Slightly fry the peanuts in a dry pan and then remove the skins. Add all the ingredients to it. Mix with a little water to make a thick mixture. Heat the oil. Put 2 tbsp of peanuts masala in it. Wait for a second. Then spread the peanuts with the help of a flat spoon. Allow the peanuts to fry into golden brown. Thus complete all the peanuts. You may add extra gram flour or lessen the quantity according to the texture of the peanuts.
[/tscii:bcbb67ae81]

Mrs.Mano
25th August 2006, 11:09 PM
Dear Cynthiya!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on soya curry.

sudhakarthik
29th August 2006, 04:56 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Can you please give me the recipe for baked rasamalai from ricotta cheese.

thanks,

sudha

Badri
29th August 2006, 05:45 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

We tried the Gobi Manchurian from your recipe last night! It was really yumm!

And for today, the wife has made your karamani kaara kozhumbu. I will eat it and then post my feedback on that too, after lunch! :)

Mrs.Mano
29th August 2006, 02:18 PM
Dear Sudha!

I have seen the recipe you have asked in some websites. But I havent yet experimented it. I always use milk powder to prepare the rasamalai. I have already posted it in this thread.

Mrs.Mano
29th August 2006, 02:20 PM
Dear Badri!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on Gobi Manchurian. I really hope that Karamani kara kuzhambu willalso be a success.

Badri
30th August 2006, 05:13 AM
Dear Mrs Mano, yes, it too was a success! Everyone in the office who tasted a bit also found it really good and were asking what this is.

Actually, since we were running a little low on karamani, my wife used karamani along with Rajma (red kidney beans) but the taste was still really great!

dev
30th August 2006, 07:09 AM
What is karamani caleed in english?... is it black eye dhal?...

Badri
30th August 2006, 07:48 AM

dhal is not english!! :roll:

But yes, black eyed peas :)

dev
30th August 2006, 08:19 AM

dhal is not english!! :roll:

But yes, black eyed peas :)

:notworthy:

Thanks, Badri...

baskaran.ramamurthy
1st September 2006, 07:35 AM
We tried making TOMATO OOTHAPPAM and found them to be very flat not as fluffy or soft as the OOTHAPPAMS made out of the regular Dosa batter. Please advise whether this is because of the high proportions of rice and no ulundu at all in your recipe.. Also please clarify whether you mean Kadalai Paruppu as Bengal Gram?
Regards
Baskaran

Hello Mrs Mano,
you posted a recipe on Tomato Oothappam some time ago (in the earlier thread) which I have pasted below.

Can you please advise what you exactly mean by "lentils" and "bengal gram". I assumed lentils is thuravam varuppu and bengal gram is muzhu ulundhu. Is this correct? I know there are multiple variations so wanted to be sure.
Thank you.

TOMATO OOTHTHAPPAM:

Ingredients:

Boiled rice-1 1/2 cups
Raw rice- 1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
Lentils- 2 tbsp
Bengal gram- 1 tsp
Tomato [chopped] - 1 cup
Tamarind- a lime size
Red chillies- 5
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Soak the rice varieties with the fenugreek seeds and the lentils in enough water for 4 hours. Then grind them to a fine batter with the tomatoes, red chillies and tamarind. Add enough salt and allow the batter to ferment for 5 hours. Now you can make ooththappams as usual. You can add finely chopped onion[ 1 cup] as optional.

RR
1st September 2006, 09:38 AM
how to make rice puff which i sundried & then fry in the oil.pls tell me...

bharati <truptiw@hotmail.com>

dev
1st September 2006, 11:04 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Tried milagu kulambu y'day..tasted great... a very good recipe when laid down by cold & fever...:)

dev
4th September 2006, 03:08 PM
Made milagu kulambu again today... only variation is that I added a bit of pottu kadalai while grinding the spices so that thae curry will thicken faster... it tasted great... Thanks again, Mrs.Mano...

Regarding indexing this thread, I'll do it whenever I find time... sorry, a bit busy these days...

kavim10
5th September 2006, 09:15 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano,
I tried ur Peanut Masala, it was excellent. Thanks a lot for ur quick reply and also for this wonderful recipe.
If time permits, can u please post the recipe for Thirunelveli Halwa / Mascot Halwa.
Good luck on ur Bride search for ur son.
Thanks

Mrs.Mano
6th September 2006, 10:35 PM
Dear Badri!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback.

Mrs.Mano
6th September 2006, 10:37 PM
[tscii:dc87fd56ce]Hello Baskaran.ramamurthy!

As I do not have my file with me, I couldn’t clarify yr doubt. Any how, please add a handful of black gram to soak with the rice varieties. Definitely it will yield good result after fermentation.

Yes. ‘Kadalaiparuppu’ is Bengal gram in English.
[/tscii:dc87fd56ce]

Mrs.Mano
6th September 2006, 10:38 PM
Hello Dev!

Thank you very much for yr nice feedback on Milagu kuzhambu.

buvana
14th September 2006, 02:36 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Your recipes come in handy especially for housewives like me who dont have anyone close to guide us in trying out new recipes. Thank you very much.

Madam, Can you please tell me the steps in making Adhirasam ? What should be the `paagu' level ? How much water should we add to the jaggery to make syrup ?

Thanks in advance.

sudhakarthik
16th September 2006, 04:10 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I once had rasam at an Indian restaurant in New Jersey. It was served as appetizer. It had the ginger, vellam and tomato taste in it. I t was too good and we felt like drinking more and more. Can you please tell me what variation of rasam would be that fine. I heard later that it was an Iyengar family owned restaurant. Please if you know the recipie post it.

Thanks,

Sudha

Badri
18th September 2006, 06:01 AM
Mrs Mano, on Friday, we tried your microwave palgova! I was a little skceptical to begin with - traditiionally, theratipaal takes such a long time to prepare and here was a 5 minute recipe!

Even when it was cooking and we would take it out to stir, I was not too convinced, especially with the slightly sour smell coming out of it. But I was in a for a TOTAL SURPRISE.

The taste, the texture - in one word, AMAZING!

We salute you, Mrs Mano! :notworthy:

ayeshasadique
19th September 2006, 11:12 AM
dear Mrs. Mano, do we get vallarai keerai in UAE? if yes, can u plz tell me, where?

Rookiecook
20th September 2006, 10:12 PM
Dear Mrs. mano,
Can it be mandated that all the recipes that are posted use the same terminology, such as tsp, Tsp, cup and oz etc , instead of handful,sp etc. May be a guideline can be setup to facilitate for posting the recipes. In that way the recipe can be duplicated and enjoyed.
Thanks
rookiecook

Mrs.Mano
20th September 2006, 11:20 PM
Dear Badri!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback. It is very satisfying to know that my efforts give happiness as well as satisfaction to lots of people like you.

Mrs.Mano
20th September 2006, 11:21 PM
[tscii:cc602e97db]Dear Kavim10!
I regret for my delayed reply. As I am travelling around Tamilnadu, I couldn’t immediately post the recipe of ‘Thirunelveli Halwa’ which you have required
I will post the recipe for soon!

[/tscii:cc602e97db]

Mrs.Mano
20th September 2006, 11:26 PM
[tscii:5762ac126d]Dear Ayesha!

I came to know that ‘vallaarai keerai’ is available in Srilankan Grocery shops as well as ‘Manama super markets. Now I am in Tamilnadu. I will return back to Dubai after 15 days. I will enquire my friends about it for you!

[/tscii:5762ac126d]

Mrs.Mano
20th September 2006, 11:56 PM
[tscii:d2c26279b8]Dear Bhuvana!

I have already posted the recipe for ’Adhirasam’. Anyhow I am re-pasting it here for you!

ADHIRASAM

Soak 1/2 kilo raw rice in the water for 1/2 hour and then drain the rice in a colander. You can grind the rice even when the water is not fully drained up.
Then grind it to a nice flour.
Sieve the flour only once.
Then immediately make syrup from 300gms of jaggery to a pearl-like consistency.
When the syrup is simmering, reduce the flame to low heat. Drop a little syrup in a cup of water. If we could form the syrup into a smooth ball, [not a stiff ball] then put off the fire.
Sprinkle the rice flour little by little in the syrup and mix well.
Sprinkle 1/2 sp of cardamom powder and mix well.
The batter must not be very thick. If we make a small ball from it, then it must be a very smooth ball.
It must not break.
That is the correct consistency for adhirasam.
Keep the batter in a greased bowl[greased with ghee]and pour and spread 11/2 tbsps of ghee on top of the batter and cover it.
The next day you can prepare the adhirasams.
When you prepare the adhirasams, heat the oil on a medium fire and make adhirasams

[/tscii:d2c26279b8]

Mrs.Mano
20th September 2006, 11:59 PM
Dear Sudha Karthik!

I will try my level best to find the recipe you have asked. I hope that I can post it soon for you!!

kitchenmate
21st September 2006, 01:53 AM
Hello,
Anyone please tell me what do we do with spices like Kalpasi, jathi pathri, marathi mokku..
i heard marathi mokku could be added in Briyani and if it is true, in what stage should we add that?
Also, i have lots of pachai karpooram, i use it to add in payasams i prepare(not quite often though), in what other recipes can we use them???
Thanks
KK [www.kitchenmate.blogspot.com][/code]

ayeshasadique
21st September 2006, 10:31 AM
thnx Mrs. Mano, will be waiting for your return...

dev
22nd September 2006, 03:19 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I once had rasam at an Indian restaurant in New Jersey. It was served as appetizer. It had the ginger, vellam and tomato taste in it. I t was too good and we felt like drinking more and more. Can you please tell me what variation of rasam would be that fine. I heard later that it was an Iyengar family owned restaurant. Please if you know the recipie post it.

Thanks,

Sudha

Hi, Pls chk this recipe... quiet similar to what u r looking for...

Lime-Ginger Rasam
Ingredients:

for rasam:

* 2 nos - Ripe Tomatoes, halved

* 4 nos - Green Chillies

* 2 nos - 1 inch piece of crushed Ginger

* 1 no - Lime or 2 Tbsp lime juice

* 1 sprig - Curry Leaves

* 1/2 cup - Coriander leaves

* 1 cup - Toor dal, boiled and mashed

* Salt to taste

for seasoning:

* 1 tsp - ghee

* 1 tsp - Mustard seeds

* 1 tsp - Jeera/Cumin seeds
Procedure:

1. Boil one cup of toor dal and mash it well once cooked.
2. In a vessel, add 3 cups of water and toss all the rasam ingredients except the dal and lime juice and curry leaves( i.e tomatoes, crushed ginger,coriander, chillies and salt)
3. Bring the rasam to a boil, the tomatoes would have lost shape by this time.
Add in the cooked dal now and mix well to get rid of lumps and bring the rasam to a boil again.
# In a separate pan, heat the ghee and add in the mustard seeds and jeera and a few curry leaves. Once the seeds start popping add it to the rasam.Also add in the juice of one lime or its equivalent.
# Serve hot with rice or enjoy it as a soup :-)

Source:http://akshayapaatram.blogspot.com/

buvana
25th September 2006, 03:16 PM
Thank you so much, Mrs. Mano. I got it perfectly right and I also dedicate my success in getting it right, to you !!

sudhakarthik
25th September 2006, 10:10 PM
hi dev,

tried your recipe but it turned out more like a dal soup. what i tasted was more like a tamarind base - the color with the sour taste, ginger taste and some sweet taste ( probably jaggery) and it helped in the digestion too.

anyway thanks since it was a protein filled soup for the kids.

sudha

dev
25th September 2006, 10:37 PM
hi dev,

tried your recipe but it turned out more like a dal soup. what i tasted was more like a tamarind base - the color with the sour taste, ginger taste and some sweet taste ( probably jaggery) and it helped in the digestion too.

anyway thanks since it was a protein filled soup for the kids.

sudha

oh...okay... I just found the recipe on the net & thought it might be what u were looking for... I have never tried it & don't have any idea how it tastes... Y don't U just try using lesser dhal( or omit it completely ) & more of tamarind & sugar in the recipe?... :roll:

Anyways, I'm sry abt it.... Hope someone will comeout with the recipe U r looking for...

Kz
27th September 2006, 04:06 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano, Can u please tell me if i can use ponni pulungal arisi for dosa batter? the rice is not good and no one likes the taste at home, i have one full bag and dont know what to do with it. will dosa come out good, if so what proportion should i use?
Thanks.

Mrs.Mano
29th September 2006, 10:35 PM
Dear KZ!

You can use ponni puzhungal arisi for dosa with black gram in the ratio of 5:1. You can also use it to make various recipes of adai varieties.

Mrs.Mano
29th September 2006, 10:38 PM
[tscii:c623d04f4e]Dear Sudha karthik!

I am going to post the ‘Date Ginger Rasam’ for you. This has all the ingredients you have mentioned.

DATE GINGER RASAM:

Ingredients:

Tamarind- a big lime size
Dates-5
Crushed Ginger- 1 tbsp
Coarse pepper powder- half tsp
Sambar powder or rasam powder- 1 tsp
Asafoetida pr- half tsp
Turmeric powder- half tsp
Crushed tomatoes- half cup
Chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
Curry leaves- a few
Salt to taste
Crushed jaggery- 2 tbsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Cooked thuar dal- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water and then extract its juice. Grind the dates and the ginger coarsely and add it to the tamarind extract with the t.powder, dal, s.powder, tomatoes, 2 cups of water and the greeans. Heat a pan and add the ghee. Add the asafoetida powder and the pepper. Fry for a few seconds. Add the tamarind mixture and allow it to simmer for a few minutes. Lastly add the jaggery and allow it to simmer for a few seconds.
[/tscii:c623d04f4e]

Mrs.Mano
29th September 2006, 10:44 PM
Hello Kitchenmate!

Maratti mokku, kalpasi and jathipathri can be added in some chicken preparations like Karnataka chicken, chettinadu chicken etc. Maratti mokku and jathipathri are used to make Kashmiri garam masala powder.

Mrs.Mano
29th September 2006, 10:58 PM
Dear Kavim10!

Here is the recipe you have requested.

WHEAT HALWA

Ingredients needed:

Whole wheat-100gms
Sugar-300gms
Ghee-200gms
Orange or red food Colour

Procedure:

Soak the wheat in enough water for 12 hours. Then grind it well and extract thick milk from it. Keep it covered for 12 hours. Drain out the excessive water that stored on top of the thick milk. Heat a broad pan and add the sugar with a small quantity of water to make a single thread consistency. Then add the wheat milk and cook on medium fire. When the mixtures turns glossy, add the ghee gradually. Add the food colour also. Cardamom powder can be added slightly. When the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, put off the fire. Pour it on a greased plate.

Kz
2nd October 2006, 08:27 PM
Thankyou Mrs.Mano.
Kz.

kitchenmate
2nd October 2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks Mrs. Mano :)

sudhakarthik
3rd October 2006, 05:58 AM
thanks mrs mano. I will try it out and let you know.

dev
5th October 2006, 12:08 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Could U please post a recipe for samosa with onion filling...

kavim10
7th October 2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks a lot Mrs. Mano for the Halwa recipe.

Mrs.Mano
7th October 2006, 04:13 PM
Dear Dev!

I have not yet experimented any samosa with onion filling. Here is a link for the recipe you have asked. Hope this will be helpful.

http://dailygirlblog.blogspot.com/2006/04/onion-samosa.html

dev
7th October 2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the link, Mrs. Mano... will try it out soon...

Ramyathangam
7th October 2006, 06:48 PM
Hello Mrs. Mano,

U'r receipes are nice
I enjoyed a lot

dev
7th October 2006, 07:07 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

the samosa recipe was good... I just added chilli powder & a pinch of garam masala,salt to the onions... it turned out too good...:)

Mrs.Mano
7th October 2006, 11:43 PM
Dear Ramyathangam!

Thank you very much for the nice compliment!

Mrs.Mano
7th October 2006, 11:45 PM
Henceforth I will be posting new recipes here which I have tried and yielded good results. The first one is egg adai.

EGG ADAI:

Ingredients:

Eggs-3
Thuar dal- half cup
Bengal gram- 2 tbsp
Red chillies-4
Fennel seeds-1 tsp
Shredded coconut- 2 tbsp
Small onions- 1 cup
Curry leaves- 2 arcs
Chopped coriander leaves- half cup
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Beat the eggs well with a tsp of water and enough salt. Soak the dals with the chillies and the fennel seeds in enough water for 1 hour. Then grind them with the coconut to a fine paste. Add this to the beaten eggs. Add finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, and curry leaves. Mix well. Make small adais on a hot dosa pan.

This side dish goes well with all types of rice varieties.

dev
9th October 2006, 07:18 AM
Looking forward to the new recipes, Mrs.Mano...:)

dev
9th October 2006, 08:30 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I finally have put up the index for this thread on the page 1... pls have a look at it & let me know if there needs to be any changes...

anuu
10th October 2006, 04:32 AM
Dear Mrs Mano,

How r u?Hope ur doing fine.Its been a long time since I came online as I had gone to India.I left quite suddenly and I just came back day before yday.I spent almost 6 weeks there.I was recovering from my grandfathers loss and of course being home with family and friends was very nice.My trip was so rejuvenating.

So how r things progressing at ur end?I hope u have u found ur daughter-in-law?I'm sure shes a lucky girl as all of ur'll in ur family are amazing cooks.She'll know for sure that her mil is a treasure of recipes :)

I cooked so many of ur recipes for my family and friends in India and they all enjoyed the food.Thank you so much cos if not for u I'm sure I wudn 't have had the confidence to cook soo well.Now everyone at my place are singing ur praises cos no one ever imagined that I would cook so well.My 78 yr old grandmother specially conveyed her regards,wishes and a big thank you to u for helping me cook well.

shall be trying more of ur recipes soon.Thanks once again.

Mrs.Mano
11th October 2006, 12:00 AM
Dear Dev!

Thank you very much for putting up the index for my current thread. It will be also useful to me personally.
According to the new recipes, often I am experimenting them and I will be posting here the successful ones for our hubbers.

Mrs.Mano
11th October 2006, 12:01 AM
Dear Ayeshasadique!

Now I am back in Sharjah! I came to know from my relative that vallaarai keerai is available at all the Spinneys especially at Sharjah and also in Sri Lankan vegetable shops at the vegetable market of Sharjah.

Mrs.Mano
11th October 2006, 12:02 AM
[tscii:06614c8e61]Dear Anuu!

I am glad that you are slowly recovering from your grand father’s loss with the help of all the love and care of your family and friends. It is always good to spend a few days in our home town to recharge our batteries to go through the pressures of present life.

It is nice to know that my recipes kelp you in a big way to improvising yr culinary skills. That is the reward for all my hard-work. Thanks a lot for the nice compliments and convey my sincere thanks especially to yr beloved grand mother.

Still my search for a suitable bride is going on.

Hope you will begin to try my new recipes.

[/tscii:06614c8e61]

sudhakarthik
14th October 2006, 12:59 AM
Hi Mrs Mano,

Tried your pongal and sambar recipies. Turned out yummy and different from my usual ones.

Do you know anything called Kalyana sambar, my Marati friend says that she had this kalyana sambar in one of her south indian friends house and that friend had moved so she asked me for the recipe and I really dont know what is that. She also said that the sambar was so good that you could drink it.

If you happen to know please let me know.

Thanks.
Sudha Karthik

anuu
17th October 2006, 12:10 AM
Dear mrs mano,

Hope ur doing well.I did convey ur thanks to my grandmom :)
Well I tried quite a few recipes in the past couple of days.
I tried ur masala peanuts for snack yday and my husband finished everything.He liked it soo much.I also tried ur chettinad adai dosai with mint chutney.It was very tasty.I was so inquisitive as in how the date ginger rasam would taste and I tried it today.It had a mixed kind of a taste,very different and nice.

Thank you soo much for ur kadalai parrupu payasam recipe.I made it for neiveidiyam for my santhoshi matha poojai last friday.I was very happy as I have been wanting to do that for neiveidiyam for a very long time and finally I was able to do that.Thank you soo much for sharing all ur wonderful recipes.

Mrs.Mano
20th October 2006, 09:23 PM
[tscii:057ea093d8]Hello Sudha Karthik!

Thank you very much for the feedback on sambar and pongal recipes.
I haven’t gone through any ‘kalyana sambar’ recipe till date. If I come across it, then I will post the recipe of it.

[/tscii:057ea093d8]

Mrs.Mano
20th October 2006, 09:24 PM
Dear Annu!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on kadalaipparuppu payasam, masala peanuts, chettinadu adai dosai and date-ginger rasam.

Mrs.Mano
20th October 2006, 09:26 PM
Here I am going to post a different recipe which I tried recently.

RAW BANANA MANCHURIAN:

Ingredients:

For the balls:

Raw banana-3
Big onion[Chopped]-1
Finely chopped green chillies- 1 tsp
Ginger paste- 1/2 tsp
Garlic paste- 1/2 tsp
Chopped mint leaves-1 tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
Gram dal powder- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp

For the gravy:

Soya sauce- 2tsp
Chilli sauce- 2 tsp
Crushed tomato- 1 cup
Ginger paste- 1/2 tsp
Garlic paste- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Tomato ketchup- 1 tsp
Coarse pepper powder- 1 tsp
Chopped spring onions- 1 cup
Finely Chopped capsicum- 1 tbsp
Corn flour- 2 tsp [mixed in 2 cups of water]
Salt and oil to taste

Procedure:

Steam the raw bananas for 15 minutes. Then mash it. Heat a pan and pour 2 tbsp of oil. Add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes till it turns light brown. Add the green chillies with the pastes and the greens. Fry for a few seconds. Then add the mashed banana with enough salt and the turmeric powder and cook for a few minutes. Put off the fire. Mix the dal powder with the cooked mixture. Make small balls out of the mixture and deep fry the balls to a golden brown colour. Again heat a pan and pour 2 tbsps of oil. Add the tomato with the pastes and the turmeric powder and fry for a few minutes till they cook well and the oil floats on the surface. Add the spring onion, capsicum, sauces and the ketchup and fry for a few seconds. Pour the corn flour mixture and let it simmer. Add all the balls and cook in slow fire. Sprinkle the pepper powder and put off the fire.

Mrs.Mano
20th October 2006, 09:33 PM
I WISH ALL THE HUBBERS AND THE MANAGEMENT A VERY HAPPY DEEPAVALI!!!

anuu
21st October 2006, 08:08 AM
Dear Mrs .Mano,

Thanks a lot for ur wishes.I wish u and ur family a very Happy Deepavali.

anuu
21st October 2006, 08:09 AM
I wish all of you a very HAPPY DEEPAVALI.

Kz
26th October 2006, 08:37 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
Tried ur lemon rasam recipe and it was superb. everyone liked it very much. thanks for the recipe.

Kz

Mrs.Mano
2nd November 2006, 12:29 PM
Hello KZ!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on lemon rasam!

sudhakarthik
10th November 2006, 04:28 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I tried the date ginger rasam and it was just so perfect and heavenly. I already had 3 cups without any rice.

Thank you very much.

Sudha

Thattai
14th November 2006, 03:35 PM
HEllo Mrs. MAno.

Am visiting the hub after a loooong time. Hope you are doing well. Very tied up since the baby arrived.

Anyways, Made your biryani 1 which was again well recieved and also the mutton voor kuzhambu to go with that. It went well with the biryani as well as with parathas at night. Only thing was that it seemed to lack a little something and so I added some imli juice for some tang. I don't know whether it was missed out in the original recipe. Anyways, post adding imli the kuzhambu was also very very tasty.

Thanks,

Thattai

anuu
17th November 2006, 11:22 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing good.I tried ur paal payasam and semolina halwa.Both were very tasty.Thanks a lot for sharing ur recipes.

I was invited for a dinner recently and there were so many dishes there of which only two dishes were totally new to me.The first one was chettinad vellai paniyaram.It was soo tasty.The other dish was chettinad ennai kathirikai.This dish was also very good.

Then I came home and searched ur old posts and found out the recipe of vellai paniyaram and made it but it came out quite hard for meIt was not very soft but it was quite hard.I don't know where I went wrong.After grinding the batter I immediately made the paniyarams was it cos of that the paniyarams became hard?Please could u give me any suggestions.Also could u post the recipe of chettinad ennai kathirikai for me?Thanks a lot for ur time.

Thattai
19th November 2006, 10:22 AM
Hello MRs. MAno,

Made Pepper Chicken I the other day. Was a huge hit with hubby, who immediately said this is the only way to make pepper chicken from now on. He started to protest when I told him there were other versions I wanted to try, until I told him they were yours!! Then he was like u can try variants only if they are from Mrs Mano!! :D

Thanks again for one more winning recipe...

PS: The chicken I bought happened to be a little small, so I also added some hard boiled eggs. THat also tasted very good. In fact, I have some left over marinade paste which I am planning to make as a pepper egg masala very soon.

Thattai
19th November 2006, 10:27 AM
Dear MRs. MAno,

Could you provide some nice pachidi recipes that would be good with your biryani recipes? As also any thin chicken/mutton gravy that can accompany biyanis that does not have coconut?

Thanks a lot,

Thattai

cynthia_a02
20th November 2006, 05:15 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Tried ur bisibelabath receipe.its very very nice.thanks a lot.

suvai
20th November 2006, 05:22 AM
Mrs. Mano,
Vanakkam!!!....Romba nandri nga onga recipes ku ellaaam. I tried your saambar saatham...superrrrr hit.......ellaarum antha receipe ketaanga.....& I gave them all a copy of it....:-)
Request for you if I may ask..........when you a say "spn" in your receipes is it Tablespoon or teaspoon.....also the recipes you give is generally for how many people......these information would certainly help........thank you for your sincere dedication.
No doubts that many are going to turn out to be "Good Cooks"!!! ;-)
Thanks to U...:-)

Mrs.Mano
20th November 2006, 07:22 AM
[tscii:7a0e3c1205]Dear Sudha!

I felt very happy to know that your effort in trying ‘DATE AND GINGER RASAM’ became very successful. Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on it.

[/tscii:7a0e3c1205]

Mrs.Mano
20th November 2006, 07:30 AM
[tscii:9e920ac13c]Dear Thattai!

Thank you very much for the feedback on briyani as well as oorkuzhambu. This ‘oorkuzhambu’ is a village recipe which sometimes seem a bland one. We can always add more ingredients to taste it differently.

About pepper chicken-It is a very good idea to combine it with cooked hard boiled eggs. Hope your another innovation with the eggs and the left-over marinade paste turned well.

Here I am posting two different varieties of pachadi for you. I will post a few different chicken and mutton gravy recipes soon!!

BRINJAL PACHADI:

Ingredients:

Brinjal-1
Fresh curd-1 cup
Chopped Small onion-half cup
Red chillies-5
Tamarind- a small gooseberry size
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Black gram- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- a few
Asafoetida- half sp
Oil-2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Grill the brinjal and take out its flesh. Grind the red chillies, tamarind and the brinjal with enough salt to a slightly coarse-thick mixture. Heat a small pan and pour the oil. Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the black gram with the asafoetida and fry them to a slightly brown colour. Add the small onion with the curry leaves and fry well. Add the ground paste and mix well on heat for 2 seconds. Put off the fire. When the mixture is cooled, add the curd and mix well.
This is a very tasty one. This pachadi goes well with any kind of rice. You can add curd as per your wish. But less curd will give much taste. Small nattu kaththarikkai will taste more than the big one.

[b]ONION TOMATO CUCUMBER PACHADI:

Ingredients:

Chopped onion- half cup
Chopped tomato- 1 cup
Thinly sliced cucumber-half cup
Finely chopped mint-2 tbsp
Finely chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Finely chopped green chillies- 1 tsp
Lime juice- 2 tsp
Shredded carrot-half cup
Fresh curd and salt to taste

Procedure:

Mix well all the ingredients with salt except curd. Then add enough curd according to the desired consistency.
Note: This is my regular recipe which goes well with all kinds of briyanis.

[/tscii:9e920ac13c]

Mrs.Mano
20th November 2006, 07:34 AM
[tscii:f00b54fce3]Dear Anuu!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on paal payasam and semolina halwa.
About vellai paniyaram-have you added soda bi carbonate? If it is added, then there will be definitely softness. Sometimes, if the black gram is too old, then the recipes which are prepared with it will not be that much softness. I will post another recipe for ‘Vellai paniyaram’ soon. I have already posted the recipe for ‘Ennai katharikkai curry’. More or less it has all the ingredients of a chettinadu recipe.
[/tscii:f00b54fce3]

Thattai
20th November 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the pachidi recipes Mrs. Mano. Will try them at the next opportunity.

Incidentally, made the Chicken Biryani yet again, for sunday lunch for family who had not yet tried it, and they all loved it! Even my dad who usually does not eat such food took two helpings and even had some at night.

Incidentally, to whoever tries the biryani recipe - i would suggest that you make more than enough and have the leftovers for dinner or lunch the next day. It tastes fab! Or you can make it a few hours before you eat it to let all the masalas steep in and become mellow.

Thanks again mrs. Mano. Look forward to the gravy recipes also.

Mrs.Mano
22nd November 2006, 05:28 PM
Dear Synthia!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on bisi bela bath.

Mrs.Mano
22nd November 2006, 05:28 PM
[tscii:727842ebee]Hello Suvai!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on ‘Sambar sadham’.
‘spn’ means teaspoon only and Tbsp refers Tablespoon.
I will try to mention about the servings in the forthcoming recipes as you have requested.
[/tscii:727842ebee]

Mrs.Mano
22nd November 2006, 05:34 PM
[tscii:8a109a8a4b]Dear Anuu!

Here is a new recipe for ‘VELLAI APPAM’. I hope you will try and enjoy it.

VELLAI APPAM:

Ingredients:

Raw rice- 200gms
Whole black gram- 50 gm
Soda bi carbonate- a pinch
Coconut milk-1 tbsp
Sugar- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Soak the rice and the black gram for 2 hours. Then grind them to a fine paste. Mix in the coconut milk, soda bi carbonate, and sugar with enough salt. The batter should be like dosa batter. Heat a pan and pour 2 tbsp of oil. Pour a tbsp of the batter. The fire should be medium. When the appam is cooked and comes on top, turn it to the other side and allow it to cook for a few seconds.

[/tscii:8a109a8a4b]

Thattai
23rd November 2006, 12:22 PM
Dear Mrs. MAno,

Post Suvai giving feedback about sambhar sadam, I tried it out as well. It was very good and fairly simple. My husband and mom both really liked it, and my mom has asked for the recipe as well.

Also made Garlic Rasam, which also came out very nice. It is a very quick and simple recipe to assemble and prepare.

Thanks,

Thattai

suvai
24th November 2006, 06:51 AM
Hello Mrs. Mano,
Thank you for considering my request!! & also clarifying spn vs tblspn.....:-)
Do you have a recipe as to how to make soft idly's in north america becoz mine always flops & is compared to "cricket ball" lolllllll I dont blame them as it does turn out that way!!!
Your suggestion/tips/proportion with what type of rice etc would be helpful..........thank you in advance nga............regards....suvai

sangeetha_me
25th November 2006, 04:31 AM
Dear Mrs Mano.. I made your sambhar powder today as the sambhar powder I brought from India got over. It was excellent. The sambhar was so tasty.

suvai
25th November 2006, 09:11 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano nga...........onga saambar & rasam powder recipe enakum kodunga plz........thank u thank u ....:-)

dev
25th November 2006, 11:51 PM
Suvai,

Pls chk the index & locate the recipe... you should be able to find it out easily...

suvai
27th November 2006, 03:14 AM
Hi Dev,
Thank you !!
suvai

suvai
27th November 2006, 03:27 AM
Hi Dev,
I just looked thru the Index, recipe for sambar powder is not there. Index starts from Idyaapam with Rice Batter & ends in Egg Adai......am I missing anything? Please let me know....thanks in advance............suvai

sangeetha_me
27th November 2006, 04:26 AM
Hi Suvai

It is there in the Index..under Mrs Mano's Tamil Nadu delicacies..here is the link

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=705

suvai
27th November 2006, 05:14 AM
Hi Sangeetha...............:-) thank u for sending me the link for sambar powder.....miga miga nandri.......suvai

suvai
27th November 2006, 05:15 AM
I have been promoted ....... from new hubber to junior hubber ehhhhhhh!!!!! ;-)

dev
27th November 2006, 11:09 AM
Suvai,

You should be able to find almost all recipes posted by Mrs.Mano in the "Index of recipes thread"...here...
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=8549

anuu
27th November 2006, 08:18 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Thanks a lot for ur vellai appam recipe.I tried it yesterday and it came out perfectly well.Thank You so much for posting another version of vellai appam recipe.

I also tried ennai kathirikai, vazhaipoo cutlet, cauliflower soup and mor rasam and all the dishes turned out to be good.Thank you so much for sharing all ur wonderful recipes.

Mrs.Mano
29th November 2006, 08:34 PM
Dear Thattai!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on sambar sadham as well as garlic rasam. Especially this sambar sadham recipe is a favourite one among my friends also!

Here is a recipe of delicious mutton gravy for you!

TOMATO MUTTON GRAVY:

Ingredients:

Mutton pieces- 1/2 kilo
Chopped onion-1
Chopped tomato-1 cup
Turmeric powder- half tsp
Fennel seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-a handful
Kashmir chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 4 tbsp

Grind to a paste:

Poppy seeds- 1 tbsp, Cashew nuts- 15, fennel seeds- 1 tsp, chopped tomato-1 cup, small onion-5, coriander leaves- half cup, cinnamon- 2 pieces, garlic flakes-5, shredded ginger-1 tsp, chopped mint- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a pan and add pour the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the chopped onion with the fennel seeds, turmeric powder, tomato and the curry leaves and fry them well until they are mashed and the oil floats on top. Add the powders and fry for a few seconds. Add the mutton and fry for a few seconds. Pour 2 cups of water and add enough salt. Allow the gravy to cook well. When the mutton is cooked, add the ground paste with enough water. Cook for some minutes to the desired consistency.

Mrs.Mano
29th November 2006, 09:41 PM
[tscii:0e11ce7f76]Hello Suvai!

To get soft idlies- always use whole white black gram. Do not use old stock. Fresh black gram will yield soft idlis.
The measurement of boiled rice and black gram must be 4:1. Always soak 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds with the black gram. The batter must be fermented for 10 to 12 hours. This is always the best method to get soft idlis.

Some people will add a handful of cooked rice when grinding the rice to get soft idlis. Some will make’kanji’ out of the washed water of the grinder after grinding the rice and will add the cooled kanji to the batter before the fermentation to get soft idlis.

The hubbers who live in cooler climates can give their ideas here for soft idlis.

[/tscii:0e11ce7f76]

Mrs.Mano
29th November 2006, 09:42 PM
Dear Sangeetha!

Thank you very much for the feedback on sambar powder and also the sambar.

Mrs.Mano
29th November 2006, 09:43 PM
[tscii:a2a769a9ca]Dear Anuu!

I am delighted to know that this time the ‘vellai appam’ came out well for you.
Thanks a lot for the feed back on it as well as Ennai katharikkai, vazhaipoo cutlet, cauliflower soup and mor rasam.

[/tscii:a2a769a9ca]

suvai
30th November 2006, 06:23 AM
Hello Mrs.Mano,
Thank you so very kindly for giving me the measurements for soft idly's.....will surely try & give you a feed back. Mrs. Mano....oru ruchiyaana sathu maavu receipe kodungalen plzz plzzzz...:-) thank u for it in advance.....regards...Suvai

Mrs.Mano
30th November 2006, 08:29 AM
Dear Suvai!

'Sathu maavu' is used for elders as well as babies. Which one do you like to have?

suvai
2nd December 2006, 07:00 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
My apologies..........:-)
For elders would be appropriate please & also if you can kindly give a good tea masala recipe too..... would very much be appreciated. Romba velai tharugirenaa naaan.....mrs, mano.?....manichidunga............suvai..

suvai
3rd December 2006, 01:34 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
Kindly give the recipe for sathu maavu for kids too....(is curious to know what is the difference)......more over I can pass it on to family members who have kids.....thanks once again for all your help.........with much regards..........suvai....:-)

anuu
6th December 2006, 06:49 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing well.Thanks for ur reply.I really enjoyed eating the vellai appams.I recently tried only beetroot kootu and as usual the result was very good.It was easy to prepare but very tasty.My husband who hates beetroot thoroughly enjoyed eating beetroot kootu with chappathis.Thanks for the recipe.

I would like to know about "akkaravadisal".I was very little when I tasted this dish when I had gone to my village near trichy.One cook from srirangam had made this at home for us and I vaguely remember this dish being similar to sakkarai pongal.I heard from a friend that u have to cook it in a vengala panai and u should get a kind of burnt smell and taste in it.I was suprised to know this.Is that true that u need to get a kind of burnt flavour?I would be glad to know about akkaravadisal and its preparation.Thank you so much in advance.

pr
7th December 2006, 09:04 PM
Dear Mrs Mano
Hope you are doing good . Could you please share with us the recipe of sweet thengai paal used as a side dish for appam and idiyappam .
Thanks
Pr

Mrs.Mano
8th December 2006, 08:29 PM
[tscii:4de97a8a17]Dear Suvai!

There is no need to apologize! I am here to give tasty recipes as well as post replies to the queries. My only regret is that I couldn’t post quick replies as I am committed to other works also. Also I need some time to go through my files to give a very good recipe. Bear with me for my belated reply.

Few years back a fellow hubber had already posted a recipe of saththu maavu in this thread itself. You can view it in the following link.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=300

I am also posting here my version for Saththu maavu.

SATHTHU MAAVU:

Ingredients:

Brown chick peas-100 gms
Ragi- 100gms
Gram dal [pottukkadalai]- 100gms
Sago-100gms
Whole green gram-100gms
Soya beans-100gms
Wheat-100gms
Maize [makka cholam]-100gms

Procedure:

Keep all the ingredients in separate plates under the heat of the sun for a whole day. Then fry each ingredient in a dry pan for a few minutes. There is no need to brown them. When cooled, pound them to a fine powder. If they are sprouted and then fried, then a most nutritious saththu maavu can be obtained.

For sprouting-

Ragi must be soaked in lots of water for 8 hours and then must be sprouted for 2 days.
Soya beans must be soaked for 30 hours and then sprouted for 3 days.
Chick peas must be soaked for 12 hours and sprouted for 2 days.
All these sprouts must be sun-dried well and then fried before pounding to a fine powder.

For children, mix 1 tsp of this saththu maavu with 1 tsp of almond powder. Mix this with a cup of hot milk with enough sugar.

SATHTHU MAAVU [FOR CHILDREN]

Ingredients:

Fried maize flour-30gms
Green gram flour-20gms
Fried groundnuts powder- 10gms
Gram dal powder-10gms
Fried wheat flour-50gms
Jaggery to taste

Mix all these powders and add jaggery according to the taste. This can be given to children directly or make small flat vadais with the help of little water. Then roast them on a hot tawa with enough ghee.

For a cup of tasty tea:

Boil one cup of water. When it starts simmering, add 1 heaped teaspoon of tea powder. Also add 2 crushed cardamoms, 4 to 5 curry leaves and half teaspoon of fresh shredded ginger. Let it boil for 2 minutes. Then keep it covered for 15 minutes. Add this to enough hot milk with sugar.

[/tscii:4de97a8a17]

Mrs.Mano
8th December 2006, 08:43 PM
[tscii:4242000c7a]Dear Anuu!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on beetroot koottu.
I am really happy to know that you and yr husband had enjoyed it very much.

About Akkaravadisal- I never heard that a burnt flavour is a must for akkaravadisal. In fact if anything is burnt while cooking, then nobody will touch it. But some people would like to eat burnt leftovers.

Akkaravadisal has the same ingredients as Sarkkarai pongal has. The only difference is that jaggery syrup is prepared in akkaravadisal while crushed jaggery is added to the pongal
directly. But you must add jaggery more in akkaravadisal to get extra sweetness. Hope you have my recipe of ‘Sarkkarai pongal’. I am always making my sarkkarai pongal with jaggery syrup only to get a very good taste.
[/tscii:4242000c7a]

Mrs.Mano
8th December 2006, 08:56 PM
Dear Pr!

To prepare thengai paal-

Add enough warm water to the shredded coconut and grind it in a mixi for a few minutes. Squeeze out the milk through a fine strainer. Again add little hot water to the strained- ground coconut and run the mixi for a few minutes. Again squeeze out the milk. Combine both the milks. It must be thick. Add enough sugar and cardamom powder to it. Mix well. Crushed Jaggery can be added instead of sugar. My mother in law would always prepare jaggery syrup [one thread consistency] and thengai paal separately. We would pour the thengai paal first on our aappam and then pour the syrup on top according to our taste. I am also following the same method.

anuu
9th December 2006, 11:27 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing fine.Thanks a lot for clearing my doubts on akkaravadisal.Even I was quite amused with my friend describing that akkaravadisal having a burnt flavour.I'm quite sure wherever she ate it they must have overcooked the dish : )Yes I do have ur recipe for sakkarai pongal and I shall try making akkaravadisal with more jaggery like u have mentioned.

I have always avoided using a few vegetables after coming to the u.s as the reason being firstly, I'm not familiar with them and secondly I'm not sure of their tamil names.I would be grateful to know their tamil names so that I could try cooking these vegetables.

1.Sweet Potato
2.Colocassia
3.Taro root
4.elephant yam
5.Yam

Thank you so much in advance.

pr
11th December 2006, 11:02 AM
Dear Mrs Mano
Thank you very much for posting the thengai paal recipe . I will try it soon . I tried tomato dosai from your recipes and it turned out to be very tasty . The dosa was crisp and it did not stick to the pan . i was unhappy with some other recipes I came across . Thaanks ..
Regards
Pr

Badri
11th December 2006, 11:48 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

I would like to know about "akkaravadisal".I was very little when I tasted this dish when I had gone to my village near trichy.One cook from srirangam had made this at home for us and I vaguely remember this dish being similar to sakkarai pongal.I heard from a friend that u have to cook it in a vengala panai and u should get a kind of burnt smell and taste in it.I was suprised to know this.Is that true that u need to get a kind of burnt flavour?I would be glad to know about akkaravadisal and its preparation.Thank you so much in advance.

That is a very Srirangam concept, which is where I hail from also. Actually, no one wants the burnt smell, as Mrs Mano has said, but because you have to contantly keep stirring the akkaravadisal so that it doesnt stick to the bottom and burn, it is very easy to actually burn it! Srirangam people have a logic - if it burns, they say Sri Ranganathar has actually tasted it, which is why it tastes like that! :)

It is just a convenient way of escaping the blame for bad cooking! My mother (and what luck, my mother-in-law as well) make some of the best akkaravadisals I have ever tasted. It truly is the Emperor of traditional payasam type sweets!

The rice is cooked in milk, and the jaggery syrup is added, as Mrs Mano has pointed out! Heavenly taste! :)

Badri
11th December 2006, 11:55 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing fine.Thanks a lot for clearing my doubts on akkaravadisal.Even I was quite amused with my friend describing that akkaravadisal having a burnt flavour.I'm quite sure wherever she ate it they must have overcooked the dish : )Yes I do have ur recipe for sakkarai pongal and I shall try making akkaravadisal with more jaggery like u have mentioned.

I have always avoided using a few vegetables after coming to the u.s as the reason being firstly, I'm not familiar with them and secondly I'm not sure of their tamil names.I would be grateful to know their tamil names so that I could try cooking these vegetables.

1.Sweet Potato
2.Colocassia
3.Taro root
4.elephant yam
5.Yam

Thank you so much in advance.

Sweet potato = sakkaravalli kizhangu
Colocassia = taro root = seppamkizhangu (arvi)
Elephant Yam = Senai kizhangu (suran)

In the US, they sometimes confuse between Sweetpotato and Yam, so you have to watch out.

Yam is a type of tubers, one of which is Elephant Yam or Suran or Chenaikizhangu

Similarly, Colocasia is the Genus name for a variety of tubers of which Taro or sembu is one. Beware of Sembu in the US. They are usually bigger than what we get in India and they have a very disagreeable taste! At least, that is what I found. I am very fond of them and had a disappointing experience with them when I was in the US

anuu
14th December 2006, 08:16 PM
Dear Badri,

Hope ur doing fine.Thank you so much for giving me ur inputs on akkaravadisal and also helping me with vegetable names.Its really of great help to me.

About the akkaravadisal getting a burnt smell,now I know where that came from and why my friend stressed on that :wink: I tried akkaravadisal y'day and I totally agree with u that it tastes really good.I followed mrs.mano's method and the result was excellent!Thank you once again.

anuu
14th December 2006, 08:21 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing fine.I followed ur method and prepared akkaravadisal y'day and it tasted excellent.Thanks so much for the recipe.

Mrs.Mano
15th December 2006, 11:52 PM
Dear Mr.Badri!

Thanks a lot for giving the list of Tamil names for the Vegetables Mrs.Anuu had asked.

About the burnt taste of akkaravadisil-people of Trichy and Thanjavur districts know well about this. Even at our village near Thanjavur-every body would love to eat the remains of sarkkarai pongal and the ven pongal the following day with its burnt taste. The ven pongal would be immersed with enough water overnight. It would taste heavenly with fresh curd and the remaining pongal curry next morning. The remains of burnt rice upma as well as arisi koozh are still the favourites for many people!

Mrs.Mano
15th December 2006, 11:53 PM
[tscii:1516699ea6]Dear Anuu!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on ‘Akkaravadisil’.

[/tscii:1516699ea6]

suvai
30th December 2006, 05:40 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,
Thank you for posting the recipes for Sathumavu & also the link. Veryyyy useful :-).

I take this to wish you & your loved ones a very healthy & prosperous 2007 !!

kamarcut recipe iruntha post pannunga please ;-). Used to love it when I was back home....:-) thanks in advance!!!!.........suvai :-)

Mrs.Mano
30th December 2006, 08:26 AM
I wish all the hubbers
A VERY VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

anuu
2nd January 2007, 12:47 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Wishing u and ur family a very Happy,Healthy and Prosperous New Year!!!!!

anuu
2nd January 2007, 12:48 AM
I wish all the hubbers a very Happy New Year!!!!

anuu
7th January 2007, 01:18 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing fine and Hope new year was good for you and ur family.I tried ur chicken biryani recipe on New Year.It came out very well.I have never cooked chicken before and neither have I eaten it but since my husband loves to eat non-veg I made it for him and for the first attempt it came out quite well.He enjoyed the biryani.Thanks a lot for the recipe.

I also tried out gulab jamun but I faced one problem.The jamuns were not very firm and it had cracked when I fryed them and when i put it into sugar syrup all of it broke down into pieces.But the taste was still very good.I did follow the procedure but I don't know where I went wrong.Any pointers from u would be great.Thanks for ur time.

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2007, 12:26 AM
[tscii:3305afac2b]Dear Suvai!

I regret for the delayed response. Here is the recipe for ‘Kamarkat’. This recipe belongs to Mrs. Mallika Badrinath.

KAMARKAT:

Ingredients:

Shredded coconut- 1 cup
Mashed jaggery- 1 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder- half spoon
Rice flour- 1 tbsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Fry the coconut in the ghee to a golden colour. Prepare jaggery syrup to a two thread consistency. Then add all the ingredients to it and cook for a minute stirring continuously. Then put off the fire and stir the mixture twice or thrice when it is still hot. When it is cooled a little, spread a little ghee on the palms and make small balls out of the mixture and place them on a plate. Thus finish all the mixture.
[/tscii:3305afac2b]

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2007, 12:31 AM
I am going to post two different recipes here which I tried last month.

CAPSICUM PULAU:

Ingredients:

Basmathi rice- 1 cup
Diced capsicum- 1 cup
Frozen peas- 1 cup
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Fried cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander- 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- half spoon
Grind the following to a paste:
Cinnamon- 1 piece
Aniseed- half spoon
Cumin seeds- half spoon
Big tomato- 1
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Cardamom-1

Procedure:

Marinate the capsicum and the peas with the masala and the turmeric powder for 30 minutes. Prepare the rice with enough salt. Heat a pan and add the ghee. When the ghee becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the vegetables with a little salt and the coriander. Fry the vegetables until they are cooked well. Add these to the rice with the cashew nuts and mix well.

IDLI PODI:

Ingredients:

Red chillies- 2 cups
Black gram- 3/4 cup
Bengal gram- 1/4 cup
Curry leaves- 1 cup
Tamarind- a lime size
Asafetida- a small piece
Salt to taste

Procedure:

Chop the tamarind into small piece and fry them in a little oil. Fry the remaining ingredients with the curry leaves in a teaspoon of oil to golden brown colour. Grind them with enough salt to a fine powder.

Mrs.Mano
13th January 2007, 12:37 AM
Dear Anuu!

Thank you very much for the New Year wishes and I wish you the same for you and for yr family also!

And thanks a lot for the nice feedback on Chicken Briyani.
Regarding yr doubts on Gulabjamoon- when you make the dough, make it to a soft and smooth dough. Little more drops of water will do that. So when you make the balls, they will be firm and will not break. Also, do not give much pressure to the balls when you make them. You can add baking powder and soda bi carbonate in equal measures instead of mixing only soda bi carbonate-for example-if you are going to add 1/2 tsp of soda bi carbonate, you can change it with 1/4 tsp of soda bi carbonate and 1/4 tsp of baking powder. By this method, the Gulabjamoons will not be too soft.

anuu
14th January 2007, 10:32 AM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope ur doing fine.Thanks a lot for ur reply.I shall try making gulab jamun sometime soon as per ur suggestions and shall definetly let u know of the outcome.

I wish you and your family a very Happy Pongal!!!!

I have decided that my pongal menu would be venn pongal,sakkarai pongal and pongal kuzhambhu(all recipes shared by u) .Thanks for sharing all ur wonderful recipes.

Mrs.Mano
14th January 2007, 02:47 PM
[tscii:0286ac8657]Dear Anuu!

Thank you very much for yr nice Pongal greetings.
I wish you also a VERY VERY HAPPY PONGAL!!!

I am really happy to know that you are going to try my recipes of Pongal!
Here I wish to give some tips on them.

SARKKARAI PONGAL:
Try to buy brown coloured jaggery or achu vellam. I am always combining brown coloured achu vellam with urundai vellam. If you couldn’t get the urundai vellam, then achu vellam is enough. This will give more taste.

VEN PONGAL:
If there is any left over, immerse it in enough water and it will be delicious to eat it in the following morning with fresh curd and the left over pongal kuzhambu!

[/tscii:0286ac8657]

Mrs.Mano
14th January 2007, 02:50 PM
I wish all the hubbers a very HAPPY PONGAL!

dev
14th January 2007, 03:35 PM
Wish you a very HAPPY PONGAL, Mrs.Mano... I'm planning to try out ur sarkkarai pongal & milagu pongal tomorrow... maybe with some gothsu...:)

dev
16th January 2007, 06:45 AM
Made sakkarai pongal & milagu pongal with sambar & vengaya gothsu(by Shoba) y'day... it was a super hit among the guests...esp the sweet pongal... It came out very well inspite of me using thai fragrant rice in place of paccharisi...

Thanks a ton for the recipes, Mrs.Mano & Mrs.Shoba...:)

anuu
16th January 2007, 06:12 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,

Hope your doing fine and I hope you had a good pongal celebration.Thanks a lot for your wishes and reply.I made ven pongal,sakkarai pongal,pongal kuzhambu and vadai.I had invited a few of our friends home for lunch and they thoroughly enjoyed the food.Though I made lots of every dish there were no leftovers except a little pongal kuzhambu for dinner.
Thanks a lot for your tips.I don't get good jaggery here hence I had carried achu vellam from India.Sakkarai pongal tasted heavenly.Thank You sooo much cos if not for you I don't think I would be cooking this well.

Mrs.Mano
17th January 2007, 12:47 PM
Dear Dev!

Thank you very much for the feedback on sarkkarai pongal!

Mrs.Mano
17th January 2007, 12:52 PM
Dear Anuu!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on sarkkarai pongal, etc.

dev
18th January 2007, 07:19 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Could you pls post the recipe for chilly parotta?...

Mrs.Mano
20th January 2007, 01:25 AM
[tscii:a2930f553f]Dear Dev!

Here is the recipe for ‘CHILLI PAROTTA’.

CHILLI PAROTTA;

Ingredients:

Parotta-6
Mashed tomato- 2 cups
Turmeric powder- half sp
Tomato pulp[tinned]- half cup
Diced capsicum-1 cup
Chopped green chillies-1 tsp
Chopped spring onion-1 cup
Chilli sauce- 1 tbsp
Pesto sauce [optional]-1 tbsp
Ginger paste- half sp
Ginger paste- half sp
Salt to taste
Oil-3 tbsp

Procedure:

For this, soft parottas are needed. Usually, in restaurants, chefs use a clean cotton cloth to puff up the hot parottas to loosen the layers. After this process, the parottas will be very soft. Dice them in to small pieces. They can also be cut into squares.
Heat a broad pan and pour the oil. Add the tomatoes with the pastes, turmeric powder, tomato pulp and green chillies. Cook well until the tomatoes are mashed and the oil floats on the surfaces. Add the capsicum and spring onions with enough salt and cook for a few minutes. Add the sauces and fry for a few seconds. Add the pieces of parottas and cook on slow fire for a few minutes until the pieces are coated with the tomato mixture.

[/tscii:a2930f553f]

dev
21st January 2007, 01:23 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano, Thanks a lot for teh chilli parotta recipe... I usually buy the parottas from the restaurant... But I don't like the chilli parotats from restau as they invariably add food colouring to make it look attractive... Will try out your recipe soon & let you know...:)

BTW, I tried ur microwave kesari recipe & it turned out great... Thanks again for a great recipe...:)

Mrs.Mano
29th January 2007, 07:09 PM
[tscii:b21d86cddb]I am going to post a tasty recipe which I tried last week.

CHETTINADU CHICKEN FRY:

Ingredients:

Chicken pieces- 1 kilo
Finely chopped tomato- 3 cups
Finely chopped onion- 1 cup
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Garlic paste- 1 tsp
Cinnamon- 2 big pieces-
Bat leaves-2
Salt to taste
Oil- 4 tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves- half cup
Curry leaves- a handful
Turmeric powder- half sp

Fry the following ingredients in a tsp of oil to a golden brown colour
and then grind them little coarsely:

Coriander seeds- 1 ½ tbsp, red chillies- 10, peppercorn- 1 tbsp, cumin seeds- half tbsp, aniseed- 1 tbsp

Procedure:

Heat a broad pan and pour the oil. When it becomes hot, add the cinnamon, bay leaves and curry leaves. Fry them a few seconds, and then add the chopped onion and fry them to a golden brown colour. Add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder and the pastes. Fry them well until they are mashed and the oil floats on the surface. Add the chicken pieces and fry them for a few seconds. Sprinkle the powder and cook the chicken in slow fire without adding any water. Add enough salt and mix well. Lastly add the coriander leaves and fry for a few minutes.

[/tscii:b21d86cddb]

Mrs.Mano
29th January 2007, 07:10 PM
Dear Dev!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on microwave kesari recipe.

arrecipes
30th January 2007, 09:13 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
It has been long since I visited the forum due to personal reasons. I wish to try all the new recipes that u have posted during the past few months. I tried Chilli Parotta and Capsicum Pulav and the results of those were unbelievable. It was so good that I don't find words to express it. Thanks for providing us with such wonderful recipes. I will try the dishes and will let u know the results.

huldaashok
1st February 2007, 06:04 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,

Happy New year to you. I am visiting this site after a long time. But I have printed out your recipes and I use it regularly.

For pongal, I made your sakkaria pongal. It was so yum. I even tried out your raw banana fry. It was so good.

I am now sharing your recipe with all my friends.

I have a small doubt, my husband tells whenever I make chicken biryani it tastes like Mutton biryani.

Is there anything that I am missing out? Please advice.

Thanks,
Hulda

Mrs.Mano
3rd February 2007, 01:04 AM
Dear arrecipes!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback on chilli parotta and capsicum pulao.
This kind of appreciation always inspires me to post more and more good recipes here.
Thank you once again!

Mrs.Mano
3rd February 2007, 01:05 AM
[tscii:708e190577]Dear Hulda!

I wish you also a very happy new year!

Regarding yr query- sometimes fresh chicken or naattu khozhi smells like mutton when it is cooked. I have recently experienced this. I couldn’t find any other reason than this. Frozen chicken never smells like this.

Thanks a lot for the feedback on raw banana fry and sarkkarai pongal!
Nice feedbacks like these always make me more enthusiastic to try different varieties of recipes!
[/tscii:708e190577]

rockydeva
3rd February 2007, 05:08 PM
Hi Mrs MANO,

i am not new to this thread,but this is my first post in ths thread,i had tried out many of your recipe and i wounder how perfect it was,u are doing really a good job

my favourate on your dishes are

butter chicken
pepper chicken
Aloo gobi masala
mashroom curry
Fish marinate

i joined the hub as a AJITH fan,i think soon i will turn as your fan

i need a help

PLease post some microwave dishs

and how to make a black coffee, i had tried many times but some thing is missing in taste

butterfly
4th February 2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,
I tried out your brinjal kuzhambu and vendakka pachadi. Both came out very well and so tasty. I had sent a pm to you. Plan to prepare more recipes from you. Thanks..

bye,

Mrs.Mano
8th February 2007, 11:51 PM
[tscii:e36a39fbd7]Hello Rockydeva!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback on butter chicken, pepper chicken,
Aloo gobi masala ,mushroom curry, Fish marinate etc.
Here I am posting a few microwave recipes for you. I couldn’t understand about yr query on black coffee. Are you asking for filter coffee decoction?

MICROWAVE KEERAI SAMBAR:

Ingredients:

Thuar dal- 1 1/2 cups
Finely chopped keerai- 3 cups
Chopped tomato- 2 cups
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Slit green chillies-4
Asafetida powder- half sp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Oil- 3 tbsp
Chilli powder-1 tsp
Salt to taste
chopped coriander- half cup
Tamarind- a lime size

Procedure:

Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for half an hour and then extract its thick juice.
Soak the dal in water for half an hour. The water should be one inch above the dal. Then cook the dal on HIGH for 15 minutes. Sometimes it needs 20 minutes for some varieties of dal. Take care to check and mix in between. Take another bowl and pour the oil in it. Add the mustard seeds and cook on HIGH for 3 minutes. As the mustard seeds will splutter, take care to cover the bowl with a lid. When the mustard seeds splutter, take the bowl out and add the onions and the green chillies. Mix well and cook on HIGH for 3 minutes. Then add the tomatoes with the asafetida powder, coriander and the turmeric powder. Cook on HIGH for 5 minutes. Mix well in intervals. Add this to the cooked dal with the tamarind juice, keerai, chilli powder and enough salt. Cook it for 8 minutes on HIGH and mix well in intervals.

MICROWAVE EGG PORIYAL:

Ingredients:

Eggs-4
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes-half cup
Ginger paste- half sp
Garlic paste- half sp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Fennel powder- half sp
Pepper powder- half sp
Cumin powder- half sp
Salt to taste
Chopped green chillies- 1 tsp
Chopped coriander- half cup
OIL- 2 TBSP

Procedure:

Take a small broad microwave bowl. Pour the oil and add the chopped onion, garlic and ginger pastes and the green chillies. Mix well and cook on HIGH for 3 minutes. Then add the tomatoes with the turmeric powder. Mix well and cook on HIGH for 4 minutes. Beat the eggs with enough salt. Add the powders and again beat for a few seconds. Pour the egg in to the bowl. Cook on HIGH for 2 minutes. Then take the bowl out and mix well like breadcrumbs. Add the chopped coriander. Again cook till it is done.

[/tscii:e36a39fbd7]

Mrs.Mano
8th February 2007, 11:55 PM
Dear Butterfly!

Thanks a lot for the feedback on 'Brinjal kuzhambu' and 'Vendaikkai pachadi'!
What does' pm' mean?

butterfly
9th February 2007, 01:07 AM
Dear Mano,
Pm means a private message. Hope you have read it.

Mrs.Mano
9th February 2007, 08:37 AM
Dear Butterfly!

I have not received yr private message in my inbox of this forumhub.

rockydeva
9th February 2007, 12:50 PM
[tscii]Hello Rockydeva!
I couldn’t understand about yr query on black coffee. Are you asking for filter coffee decoction?

Thx for you MICROWAVE dishes Mrs.MANO,i will try them,this weak end

and about MY QUERY, sry its not BLACK COFFEE, its BLACK TEA WIH LEMON

dev
9th February 2007, 01:45 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

I tried your chilly parotta recipe with noodles!!!... replaced parata with noodles & added some cabbage,soy sauce & curry powder in addition to the ingredients U've given... It tasted soooo good... Never have I been able to recreate an indo-chinese recipe so well... Thanks a ton for the recipe... Hope to try it with parotta soon...:)

rockydeva
9th February 2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Mrs.MANO,

This is my new query,

once i went to my friends home, they belong to ANDHRA PRADESH,
i take lunch there, i eat one sidedish there which is very spicy and superB

Which is made in BRINGAL, SOME MASALA STUFFED IN DIAGNOLLY CUT BRINGAL

can you please explain how to do it

arrecipes
11th February 2007, 06:27 AM
Hi Mrs. Mano,
I tried Mushroom fried rice and Microwave egg poriyal. I did not think that tomatoes in the egg poriyal would make such a difference until I tasted it. It was really good and so do the mushroom fried rice. Can u pls. post some egg recipes that goes well with rice and chappatis apart from the moongdal and egg recipe.

rockydeva
12th February 2007, 10:29 AM
Mrs. MANO super egg poriyal, Exalent taste with tomatos,once i tired with BANGALORE TOMATO and second time with country tomato,

but BANGALORE TOMATO IS TOO GOOD with this

THX,please post some NON_VEG MICROWAVE DISHES

Mrs.Mano
13th February 2007, 11:00 PM
[tscii:f990269c64]Hello rocky deva!

There is not any particular recipe for black tea with lemon. Here, in one of Hilton groups, I have tasted a welcome drink of black tea with lemon and mint. It was so delicious and I have tried it after having arrived at home. You can also try it. Prepare tea decoction with Lipton tea bags. It may be 6 to 8 cups. For this quantity, slice a lime thinly. When the decoction is cooled, drop the slices and a handful of washed mint leaves in it. Add enough sugar and mix well. Keep it in the fridge. Serve with ice cubes. Before serving, remove the lime slices and the mint leaves.

About the brinjal curry of Andhra, it may be ‘kutti vankaya kura’. It is similar to our ‘ennai kaththarikkai curry. A few spices of difference are there. I have already posted the ‘ennai akthtahrikkai’ recipe. You can try it. I will post the kutti vankaya kura’ recipe and a few microwave non-veg recipes soon!

Thank you very much for the feed back on egg poriyal

[/tscii:f990269c64]

Mrs.Mano
13th February 2007, 11:01 PM
Hello Dev!

I felt happy about yr innovation with the chilli parotta recipe. Hope you will soon try the chilli parotta recipe also. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Mrs.Mano
13th February 2007, 11:01 PM
Dear Arrecipes!

Thank you very much for the feedback on mushroom fried rice and egg poriyal. In fact I always add more tomatoes in my cookery. To get a thick gravy, I go for red ripe tomatoes instead of coconut. I mostly avoid coconut in this way. I will post the eggs recipes you have asked soon!

dsankaran
13th February 2007, 11:18 PM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

One of my friends recommended that I try your Malabar Chicken Curry with Eggs instead of Chicken. Since my husband likes eggs, I tried that and it turned out good. He said that it tasted even better the next day.

Thank you for sharing.

Inimai
14th February 2007, 01:14 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

Could you give me a recipe for Kofta Briyani? Koftas can be either veg or panner, anything is fine. I have tried in the internet. but no luck. :-(

Thank you!

cynthia_a02
14th February 2007, 09:46 PM
Dear Mrs.Mano,
I tried ur rawa idly yesterday.Its very very soft and nice.Thanks for such nice receipes.

Inimai
15th February 2007, 12:59 AM
Dear Mrs. Mano,

I have a question regarding your pongal kuzhambu recipe. You have mentioned as 1 cup of red gram dhall. Is that Thoor dhall or masoor dhall?

Thanks!

Mrs.Mano
15th February 2007, 09:21 AM
[tscii:27f0f396f6]Dear Rocky Deva!

GUTTI VANKAYA KURA:

Ingredients:

Small brinjals- 10 to 12
Tamarind- a lime size
Chopped onion- 1
Finely chopped garlic- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves- a handful
Turmeric powder-half sp
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Coriander pr- 1 tsp
Shredded coconut- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Enough oil

Dry roast the following ingredients to a golden brown colour and then grind them with the coconut:

Peanuts - 3 tbsp
Sesame Seeds - 2 tsp
cloves-2
Cinnamon-one small piece
Jeera - 1 tsp

procedure:

Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for half an hour and then extract its juice. Mix the paste with a tsp of oil, chilli powder, half of turmeric powder, coriander powder and a little salt. Take the washed brinjals (baingan), cut the stem a little bit and make a plus cut at the center. Do not make a very deep cut. The slices must not be separated. Stuff the masala inside each brinjal. Take a broad pan, add 3 tbsp of oil, add the seasoning of mustard seeds, and curry leaves. Add the brinjals and fry them on medium fire for some minutes. Add the remaining masala, tamrind extract, the remaining turmeric pr and salt to taste. Cook on medium fire. When the gravy is thickened, put off the fire.

MICROWAVE TOMATO CHICKEN:

Ingredients:

Boneless chicken- 750 gm
Mashed tomato- 2 cups
Chopped onion- 1 cup
Ginger paste- 2 tsp
Garlic paste- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- half sp
Chilli powder-1 ½ tbsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Finely ground coconut- half cup
Fennel powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 4 tbsp
Chopped coriander- half cup

Dry roast the following ingredients and then powder them.

Raw rice- 1 tbsp, fennel seeds-2 tsp, peppercorn- 1 tsp, cumin seeds- 1 tsp

Procedure:

Take a broad microwave bowl and pour the oil in it. Add the onion and mix well. Cook on HIGH for 3 minutes. Then add the pastes and again cook on HIGH for a minute. Add the tomatoes and cook for 7 minutes and mix in between. Add the chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes on HIGH. Now add the powders, and the ground coconut, with enough salt. Cook for 15 minutes and mix in intervals. Add the chopped coriander leaves and again cook for 7 minutes.

[/tscii:27f0f396f6]

Mrs.Mano
15th February 2007, 09:23 AM
Dear DSankaran!

Thanks a lot for the feedback. And it is good to try on eggs instead of chicken in the malabar chicken gravy.