PDA

View Full Version : Mumbai Chat recipes

kritica
7th October 2005, 02:10 AM
Hi guys,
i have come back after a long time.. not that you guys miss me or anything... i was awefully quite then.... most of you mite not even know... anything about me......Let me begin.....again......

Hi alll
My name is kritica.... I live in canada......was wondering if you guys would be interested in chat recipes......I have the recipes for most of the chat. ... I make them all the time.......

If you are interested i will post them..... well i am not sure if you guys already have a thread for it.... please do forgive me if u already have.... let me know if you need them......
Chao
Kritica

vekala
7th October 2005, 02:19 AM
Hi kritica!
I love to have those recipes..can u pls post them or if possible can u mail to vekala@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.
Kala

Kateangeline
7th October 2005, 07:53 AM
Hi Kritica,

It will be wonderful if u can post those chaat recipes or please mail it to kateangels@yahoo.co.in

Regards,
Kate.

dev
7th October 2005, 01:23 PM
Hi kritica,

Pleasedo post the chaat recipes here... I used to love the delicious chaats we used to get back home... I'm missing those stuff here... Though we get things called chaats here,I am not able to appreciate (or even accept that it is chaat) it coz of the bland tasteeven when I as for a spicy one... I know tht the basics for a good chaat is green & red chutney but I've never been able to get it right... So,if U could post the recipes you have, it would be greatly appreciated...:)

& how did u manage the 'grahapravesham' party?...

kritica
7th October 2005, 08:17 PM
Hi guys,
thanks for your reply.... According to me, chaat is something like dhideer samayal.... They can be used as snacks or can be used as full course......how about i give a simple recipe for the weekend.... like Pav bhaaji.........it is very advantageous for me as it is vegetarian..... and dev it can also be made fat free..... or less fat...... though i wouldnot say pav bhaaji is one of them.......
i will be posting it in about an hour......
kritica

kritica
7th October 2005, 09:21 PM
Hi guys,
There are 2 imp things for making chat....
1. cutting onions really small( chopping it very small)
2. buying the proper masala.....

For pavbhaji.... i generally use MDH masala.... from local indian store... or else you could use garam masala......with some red chilli powder in it....

Pav Bhaaji

Ingredients

Onions(red) - 2
ginger & garlic paste - 2tsp
capsicum - 1
tamato -2
carrot-1/2 cup
beans 1/2 cup
cabbage -1/2 cup
banana(raw) 1/2
potato - 3 to 4
Brinjal -2 -3
apple 2-3 peeled
Pavbhaaji masala - 2 tbsp
salt - to taste
green chillies - to taste
butter -1 big slab
cashews (optional) 2tbsp
chick peas 1/2 cup soaked and boiled
oil - 3 tbsp
coriander
lime -1

Onion, capsicum and tomatoes are chopped really small......and rest can be chopped big... All veggies should be skinless i.e, skin should be peeled... The quantity or variety of the veggies can be varied...... the amount i have given will feed a family of 5 very well... if you are small family.. then just store it... dev i know you dont use lots of butter... well you dont have to if you dont want... or use in less quantity.....but butter only increases the taste......

Method

Now in a pressure cooker, add all the veggie expect onion, tomato, capsicum. cook it for 2-3 whistle. Now in a kadai add oil, add 3/4 of chopped onions, ginger garlic paste, Add green chillies paste according to the taste, after about an minute add capsicum( finely chopped) fry it until onions and capsicum are done. Now add finely chopped tamotoes and fry them, add the masala powder and keep frying it until the tomato is cooked( what i generally see is the oil comming out of the gravy). Now open your cooker... take a masher and mash all the veggies in such a way that they cannot be discrimitated separately. ( please donot use mixie or grinder for this as then it becomes a pulp which doesnot look very good.....) make sure that you donot use lots of water in cooking veggies... use minimal water. Now after mashing.. transfer this the gravy and keep mixing it...
Once it starts boiling keep the heat to mininum and add butter to it... now butter not only gives taste but also takes away the hotness given by the green chillies... so please remember to increase the amount of green chillies if you are adding butter at the end... Now allow the butter to melt.. and mix the baaji and turn off the gas.....

Serve

take the bun slit it into half and fry it on taava with butter or ghee on it.. just like toasting a bread. then put it at one of the plate.... then add the baaji at the other end... garnish with finely chopped onions, coriander, fried cashew and a slice of lemon.
if you are not serving your baaji immediately, then dont add the butter at the end.. just leave it as it is.... At the time of serving in a kadai add butter then put the necessary baaji and heat it until the butter melts and mixes with the baaji.. once done serve as above.....

Guy i am so sorry if you dont follow wat i wrote .. this is the first time i am writing a recipe for someother ppl.... if you have any questions please dont hesistate to ask.. and plz bear with me for my spelling mistakes..... The pressure cook should make the veggies tender enough to mash.....

Cheers
Kritica[/u]

kritica
7th October 2005, 09:22 PM
Hi guys,
There are 2 imp things for making chat....
1. cutting onions really small( chopping it very small)
2. buying the proper masala.....

For pavbhaji.... i generally use MDH masala.... from local indian store... or else you could use garam masala......with some red chilli powder in it....

Pav Bhaaji

Ingredients

Onions(red) - 2
ginger & garlic paste - 2tsp
capsicum - 1
tamato -2
carrot-1/2 cup
beans 1/2 cup
cabbage -1/2 cup
banana(raw) 1/2
potato - 3 to 4
Brinjal -2 -3
apple 2-3 peeled
Pavbhaaji masala - 2 tbsp
salt - to taste
green chillies - to taste
butter -1 big slab
cashews (optional) 2tbsp
chick peas 1/2 cup soaked and boiled
oil - 3 tbsp
coriander
lime -1
pav - buns

Onion, capsicum and tomatoes are chopped really small......and rest can be chopped big... All veggies should be skinless i.e, skin should be peeled... The quantity or variety of the veggies can be varied...... the amount i have given will feed a family of 5 very well... if you are small family.. then just store it... dev i know you dont use lots of butter... well you dont have to if you dont want... or use in less quantity.....but butter only increases the taste......

Method

Now in a pressure cooker, add all the veggie expect onion, tomato, capsicum. cook it for 2-3 whistle. Now in a kadai add oil, add 3/4 of chopped onions, ginger garlic paste, Add green chillies paste according to the taste, after about an minute add capsicum( finely chopped) fry it until onions and capsicum are done. Now add finely chopped tamotoes and fry them, add the masala powder and keep frying it until the tomato is cooked( what i generally see is the oil comming out of the gravy). Now open your cooker... take a masher and mash all the veggies in such a way that they cannot be discrimitated separately. ( please donot use mixie or grinder for this as then it becomes a pulp which doesnot look very good.....) make sure that you donot use lots of water in cooking veggies... use minimal water. Now after mashing.. transfer this the gravy and keep mixing it...
Once it starts boiling keep the heat to mininum and add butter to it... now butter not only gives taste but also takes away the hotness given by the green chillies... so please remember to increase the amount of green chillies if you are adding butter at the end... Now allow the butter to melt.. and mix the baaji and turn off the gas.....

Serve

take the bun slit it into half and fry it on taava with butter or ghee on it.. just like toasting a bread. then put it at one of the plate.... then add the baaji at the other end... garnish with finely chopped onions, coriander, fried cashew and a slice of lemon.
if you are not serving your baaji immediately, then dont add the butter at the end.. just leave it as it is.... At the time of serving in a kadai add butter then put the necessary baaji and heat it until the butter melts and mixes with the baaji.. once done serve as above.....

Guy i am so sorry if you dont follow wat i wrote .. this is the first time i am writing a recipe for someother ppl.... if you have any questions please dont hesistate to ask.. and plz bear with me for my spelling mistakes..... The pressure cook should make the veggies tender enough to mash.....

Cheers
Kritica

Sowmya
7th October 2005, 09:37 PM
Hi kritica
Good to see you in active mode :D .Interesting topic and your recipe also looks new and different.Brinjals,apples,raw bananas in Pav Bhaji.I am hearing for the first time :)

keep up your good work :D

Regards
Sowmya

kritica
7th October 2005, 10:05 PM
Hi sowmya,
I am kathu kuti in samayal.. but since i was brought up in cosmo culture.. i know these recipes.......

Well for chaat recipes.. you have to innovative. nothing much

guys all of you can have chapathi, rice ( dhaba rice) , bun.... biriyaani.. anything to go with the bhaaji... but i prefer pav......

Garnishing is also one of the imp things in chaat recipes....
most of the kids like me( big kids ) dont like brocoli, cauliflower... so you could give them all but its all mushed up so they cannot know the difference..... since its boiled its nutrients are all intact.....
reduce the butter or dont use any... it still tastes good.. but not excellent.....

kritica
11th October 2005, 08:30 PM
Hi guys,
well i dont knw if any body looked at my recipe yet... have u tried or not tried? do u have any questions... i will post aloo chat recipe.... if anybody wants it....do u guys have any problem with my english.... let me know.....
kritica

dev
12th October 2005, 07:55 AM
Hi kritica,

Can u pls post the recipe for Bhel puri?...

tomato
12th October 2005, 08:49 AM
Kritika,
Pls post the recipe of aloo chat. I'd like to try it. I had it at a restruant once in a buffet platter. And it was good. The only ingredients seemed to be boiled cubed potatoes and chopped spring onions and some masala. I have a packet of 'everest' chat masala, which is yet to be opened. Pls sugeest some recipes using it.

kritica
13th October 2005, 10:28 PM
hi guys....
sorry my comp got toasted... and now i am lagging at work so it will be difficult for me to post the recipe today.. but by tonite or 2morrow i will post it... u can try and tel me how it is tomato... well... its not hard.. but there is details.. which i need to type... which will take a while... alrite...
please forgive me for the delay....
kritica

kritica
14th October 2005, 02:46 AM
Oola everybody,
i am extremely sorry that i couldnot post the recipe earlier.. Hear is my recipe for aloo chat....

Aloo chat

Ingredients:
Potatoes, boiled peeled -4nos
green chilies - to taste
Salt -to taste
Chaat masala -1 tsp
Black salt -1tsp
Tamarind chutney
Mint chutney
coriander leaves Chopped
Red onion chopped - 1
Tomato chopped - 1
Capsicum/green pepper chopped – 1
Sev or omapudi – should be very thin (small)
Carrot very finely grated (optional)
Cheese grated finely (optional)
Optional Oil (for deep frying the potato)
Optional mixture

Method:
• Dice potatoes into moderate size
• In a bowl add onions, tomatoes, green chilies, tamarind chutney, mint chutney, add potatoes, toss them well to get the flavor evenly coated on all potatoes
• For serving, take necessary amount in the bowl, add onions and tomatoes on the top, add sev , drizzle the chat masala and black salt , circle little amount of buttermilk, add mixture(Tamil word) if you have any at home) or if u want the crispy and crunchy ness add any nuts u like.. or add roasted paped( lijjat is the one I use), if you like you can top it with sweet chutney

Tip:
Generally I use them for avasara samayal…..Red pepper you can also freeze the potato… I don’t know if you visited this post… generally I buy the chutneys from the store. If anybody wants to know the recipe from scratch let me know, I will post it
One more thing… the veggies are what you like, it can be anything, the key ingredient in chaat is the presentation. Well just to let you know.. I did not use any oil in my recipe.. but you guys who don’t mind some calories… can fry the potato in oil instead of boiling it. You could also add cheese and panner and all fat fat and fatty stuff to it….well cheese is very optional.. some ppl like it some ppl don’t.. My next recipe will be ragada patties. Which will come sometime eventually.
Hope you guys had a great week ....tamoto let me know if you have any ?s
Chao
Kritica

kritica
6th November 2005, 01:55 AM
Oola,
So i am back after a long time... here is the recipe for Bhel puri
Bhel Puri

ingredients

1pkt puffed rice
1pkt sev/omapudi(very fine)
1pkt paapri
1 red onion, very finely chopped
1 tamato, very finely chopped
1 cucumber finely chopped
1 mango finely chopped
2 tbsp yogurt made into mooru
2 green chillis, finely chopped
1 cup roasted peanuts
1 cup mixture
1 cup sprouts
1 cup crated carrot(optional)
2 cup potato, boiled peeled and finely chopped
finely chopped coriander leavess
juice of 1 lemon
tamarind+date chutney
mint chutney

Method

In a bowl, add the chuntneys, then add the potatoes, then the puffed rice or pori, mixture, peanuts, sprouts, chickpeas, carrot, mix very well such that the chuntneys are evenly coated. Transfer the contents of the bowl in a serving plate, then add tomatoes, cucumber, onions then add the omapudi on the top, drizzle yogurt, tamarind chutney, then add coriander leaves to it. Now instead of giving a spoon to scoop use the papri to scoop and eat them once u r done with bhel puri, u can also drizzle some chat masala and pani puri masala

Note
Serve immediately as they get soggy with time and don’t taste any good

I hope u have fun making it.....
chao
Kritica[/b]

kritica
6th November 2005, 02:09 AM
Oola,
Here is Ragada patties recipe... u need to make cholay for this... i havent posted the recipe, but if u need.. i will post it....

Ragada patties

Ingredients

5 potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
1 cup green peas, boiled
1 tamoto finely chopped
1 red onion finely chopped
1 pkt omapudi/baarik sev
Tamarind+date chutney
Mint chutney
juice of 1/2 a lemon(optional)
2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tsp red chilli powder/ i prefer green chillies chopped......
Coriander leaves
salt to taste
1 cup yogurt made into moru
oil for shallow frying
2 cups of channa or cholay( I hope u know the recipe, if u need it let me know)

Method

Mix mashed potatoes, green peas, masala powder, chilli powder, salt and lemon juice well, Divide into equal portions and make balls. Flatten each between the palms into discs.
Heat oil in a fry pan and shallow fry over medium heat until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
Drain and pat dry on absorbant paper.
Place it in a serving plate, place the raagada, then on the top of it add some cholay, then tamarind chutney, then mint chutney, then add onions, tamatoes, then add ompadudi and drizzle the yogurt on the top of it. Then server it with coriander leaves on the top

hope u enjoy it
Chao
Kritica

kritica
6th November 2005, 02:12 AM
Oola,
I hope u guys enjoyed the recipes... in comming weeks.... whenever i have time will post sandwitch chat, pani puri...
If u can remember something in mind let me know.....
if there is any error... please let me know too....