PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Thailand?

Niranjana
14th May 2005, 10:31 PM
My mom's friend & her husband are moving to Thailand in Aug or so. Anyone else in Thailand , from this site? Any tips?

Mad Max
15th May 2005, 12:56 AM
no..there is no one I know in thailand...

but I know people in calcutta if they are interested in going there instead of thailand....

One tip I can give is that ask them not to travel by ship. It takes too long. Take the plane instead...

Hope this helps.

aravindhan
15th May 2005, 03:00 AM
My mom's friend & her husband are moving to Thailand in Aug or so. Anyone else in Thailand , from this site? Any tips?
I lived there in the 1980s. That was a very long time ago and Bangkok has changed to the point that it is unrecognisable. I also am no longer in touch with people we knew there. However, there was and still is a Tamil Sangam in Bangkok (look up Mr. and Mrs. Iyer in the telephone directory, I'm fairly sure she and her husband still live there). It's quite a broad organisation, including Tamils from India, Ilangai and Malaysia. They're very friendly and helpful, and they have frequent gatherings. It might help your relatives settle in.

Phahurat is an Indian locality, and Indians can get everything they need there (spices, clothes...).

There is a Hindu temple (built by Malaysian Tamils, if I remember right) called "Wat Khaek" on Thanon Silom, pretty much in the centre of Bangkok.

Niranjana
15th May 2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks Aravind!
You were really helpful.

Mom's friend's husband was oscillating between his decisions to go & not to go to Thailand. Mainly b'coz of the currency conversion.
1Baht = Rs 1.09

But, I guess, he finally decided on going.